Consumer Reviews and Complaints
Despite what the previous reviewer stated, the exclusions are not decided on a whim. In fact, they are stated fairly clearly on the Pet Assure website: "Veterinarians are not required to discount non-medical services such as routine grooming and boarding, outsourced services such as blood work sent to a lab or an outside specialist, mileage fees, and products you take home such as medications and food." Essentially, what this means is that office visits, dental cleaning, surgical procedures, etc. ARE covered.
The previous reviewer also stated that the only vets that participate are vets that charge exorbitant rates that are 3x that of the local competition. This is also untrue. While relatively few vets accept Pet Assure, the vet we were already using does and always has accepted it. Their rates were quite reasonable until last year at which point they went up about 30% to cover renovations and a massive expansion of the practice. None of this had anything to do with Pet Assure.
One last point in regards to the previous review is that Pet Assure is NOT pet insurance. It is not intended to be. Think of it more like a Costco membership for which you pay an annual fee in order to get a discount. The more you spend, the more the membership pays for itself. Anyway, we have had Pet Assure for several years. We paid $69 per year for the Unlimited Pets plan for the first few years. At that price it was well worth it. Between office visits, dental cleanings and surgeries we saved several hundred per year. Unfortunately, the same plan now costs $199 and at that price - even with the vast number of pets we have - it would take at least 2 surgeries to warrant the cost. We have decided we are better off just gambling for the meager savings that the plan now offers in relation to its cost.
Pet Assure is a joke.. The only vets that participate with them are grossly over-priced. Be sure to check a few other vets around the immediate area before committing $10-$20 a month of your hard earned money (for Pet Assure) to end up at a vet that you would have never considered, that ends up charging you 3X more than the vet down the street. Not to mention that the vet can decide at any given time that anything on the Pet Assure website listed as qualifying they can decide not to discount at their own discretion and with blatant proof that there are multiple qualifying items not being discounted. Pet Assure will ultimately side with the vet and say that they don't see them as having done anything wrong. This sham of an insurance, is a disgrace. Take my advice and avoid it. I have multiple receipts with hundreds of dollars in discount not given.
Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor
Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.
Pet Assure is a membership program that allows users to receive discounts on health care for their pets. It has been offering these discounts since 1995.
- No waiting period: Users can begin receiving discounts on their vet bills as soon as they sign up.
- No use limits: Users can take advantage of this service as much as needed. There is no upper limit to service.
- Upfront savings: Users don't have to wait for reimbursement; they get discounts and savings at the time of their vet visit.
- No exclusions: Any pet residing in the household is eligible for coverage using this company.
- 45-day warranty: Users have 45 days to cancel their service for a full refund if they don't find it meets their expectations.
- Searchable online database: Users who do not yet have a regular vet for their pets can search this company's website by ZIP code to find vets in their area.
- Discounts on prescriptions: Users can receive a discount on prescriptions from PetRx.com when they use this service.
- Best for Households with multiple pets, households with pets who have chronic illnesses, and households with older pets.
Compare Pet Insurance
Pet Assure Company Profile
- Company Name:
- Pet Assure
- Year Founded:
- 415 Cedar Bridge Ave
- Postal Code:
- United States