Get Pricing

2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

3.9/5 (112 ratings)

About Figo Pet Insurance

Figo offers customizable coverage built for millennial pet parents. The company offers three comprehensive plans, and you can add optional coverage like Wellness, Veterinary Exam Fee or the Extra Care Pack. Figo offers up to 100% reimbursement, which is extremely rare for a pet insurance company and helps ensure you can keep costs down on large vet bills.

Pros

• Flexible plan options
  • No upper age limit
  • Claim filing via app
  • 24/7 live vet chat

Cons

• Wellness plans not included in base coverage
  • Standard plan doesn't pay exam fees

Bottom Line

Figo Pet Insurance offers three customizable plans covering accidents and illnesses for dogs and cats at least 8 weeks old. Plans with 100% reimbursement or unlimited annual benefits are available.

Top Figo Pet Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

If you have carefully reviewed your contract of coverage, you should be very happy with Figo. They process claims quickly ... Most important to me as a former insurance adjuster i...

Verified

Puppy has Figo since 10 weeks old. We chose unlimited coverage with $200 deductible. Phone App allows filing claims in vet’s office with photos of vet statements. Paid usually wit...

How does Figo Pet Insurance work?

Figo Pet Insurance reimburses you for vet costs for your dogs or cats when they have unexpected injuries or illness, according to the terms of your plan. You pay a monthly fee for coverage; you can visit any licensed vet in the world, then file a claim for reimbursement.

The company recommends using the Figo Pet Cloud app to file a claim; however, you can also complete the claims process online, by phone, by fax or by email — you just need a copy of your paid invoice and your pet’s medical records. Figo has takes an average of three days to close a claim (two days if the company has medical records). You can be reimbursed via direct deposit or mailed check. Depending on your plan, you may have an unlimited annual benefit or a reimbursement level of up to 100%.

Figo offers a diminishing deductible, and the copy and deductible are waived for emergency life-saving treatment in the case of an accident (does not apply to illnesses). Holistic care is also included in the base policy.

What does Figo Pet Insurance cover?

When your dog or cat has a new injury, accident or illness, Figo covers costs for the following:

• Emergency and hospitalization
  • Food and Drug Administration-approved prescriptions

Figo does not cover:

• Preexisting conditions
  • Experimental or cosmetic procedures
  • Care related to breeding and birth
  • Most parasites

Figo offers three add-on coverage options:

• Veterinary Exam Fees: This add-on helps cover exam or consultation fees associated with an eligible illness or accident. It does not cover exam fees related to routine, wellness or preventative visits.
  • Extra Care Pack: The Extra care pack helps cover costs for cremation and burial (up to $250), lost pet advertising and award, vacation cancellation caused by a pet emergency, board fees, pet theft or loss caused by straying (up to $150) and third-party property damage liability (up to $10,000 per policy period and subject to a separate deductible).
  • Wellness: You can add routine care coverage to any plan to help pay for the cost of vaccinations, spaying or neutering, heartworm prevention, dental care and more. The company offers a Basic and Plus wellness add-on — the Plus add-on has higher annual maximums.

How much does Figo Pet Insurance cost?

Figo offers three plans: Essential, Preferred and Ultimate. All plans cover the same items but have different annual benefit amounts.

You can get a free monthly premium quote online. To give you an idea of what you can expect to pay, we got quotes for two different dogs in Tulsa, Oklahoma: a 3-year-old male golden retriever and a 12-year-old female Maltese.

For both quotes, we went with the company’s preselected options for annual deductible and reimbursement percentages.

For the golden retriever, the company suggested an 80% reimbursement and $250 deductible.

Annual benefitMonthly cost
Essential$5,000$27.16
Preferred$10,000$31.69
UltimateUnlimited$35.97

The Veterinary Exam Fees would cost an addtional $6.46 a month, and the Extra Care Pack costs an additional $6.62 a month. The Wellness Basic option would cost an additional $9.50 a month, while the Wellness Plus option is an additional $16.50 each month.

For the Maltese, the company preselected a 70% reimbursement rate and $750 deductible.

Annual benefitMonthly cost
Essential$5,000$35.53
Preferred$10,000$41.44
UltimateUnlimited$47.06

Adding the Veterinary Exam Fees option would cost another $8.46 a month, and the Extra Care Pack would cost an extra $6.62 a month. The Wellness add-on would cost $9.50 a month, and Wellness Plus would cost $16.50 a month.

Your monthly cost increases or decreases based on the reimbursement percentage and deductible you select. To lower your monthly premium, choose a lower reimbursement level or a higher annual deductible.

Figo Pet Insurance FAQ

Can I visit any veterinarian?
Yes, you can visit any licensed veterinarian in the world.
Does Figo Pet Insurance cover preexisting conditions?
No, Figo doesn’t cover preexisting conditions. It may cover conditions that are considered “curable.” The company recommends contacting its customer service for more information.
What is Figo Pet Cloud?
Figo Pet Cloud is Figo’s app. The app sends you vet visit reminders, helps connect you to a licensed vet 24/7, organizes your pet’s records and shows you where to find pet parks and day care. You can also use Figo Pet Cloud to socialize with other pet owners.
What is Figo Pet Insurance’s cancellation policy?
You can cancel your Figo insurance policy at any time by emailing or calling Figo. If you cancel within the first 30 days and haven’t made a claim, you get a full refund. Otherwise, refund policies vary by state.
Does Figo have a money-back guarantee?
Yes, Figo offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you cancel within 30 days and haven’t made a claim, you will receive a full refund.

Is Figo Pet Insurance good?

Figo Pet Insurance is a good choice for dogs and cats. The company gives you options for the annual benefit, reimbursement percentage and annual deductible, including plans with an unlimited benefit or 100% reimbursement. You can visit any licensed vet and have multiple ways to file a claim. If you’re searching for coverage for your dog or cat that’s at least 8 weeks old, get a quote from Figo — it takes less than a minute.

Figo Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Figo Pet Insurance?

Original review: July 16, 2021

We researched different companies for dog health insurance. I found FIGO suited our needs the best. Between reading reviews to reading the FIGO information and asking our Vet and other dog owners, FIGO stood out as one of the best. Our puppy had multiple issues in her first year so it was important to feel supported with the insurance. Claims were easy with the App and the payments from FIGO came directly into my checking account. We did go with a good policy that covers most any illness and the emergency or office visit for illness. I am impressed so far. I expect at some point the policy will go up in expense but I have heard that you can sometimes get it lowered if you feel it is too much. I recommend FIGO often to new dog owners who are looking for insurance through our connection to the reunion rescue site where we adopted our puppy.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

When I was looking for pet insurance for my rescue dog, I did a massive amount of research. I compared premiums, deductibles, coverage, and age limitations. I read many *many* reviews, and changed my mind multiple times. In the end, I landed on Figo and I'm extremely glad I did. Figo's premium rates are quite reasonable, and their deductible structure is highly customizable and generous. My dog's current plan covers *90%* of non-wellness expenses after a $500 deductible. I did not find any other pet insurance plan that offered anything close. They have even covered behavioral expenses, including visits to a certified behaviorist and medication.

In addition to all this, I love the fact that Figo allows me to submit and resolve claims entirely without paper. They process all my claims through their web platform and smart phone app and they process them FAST. When I am due to be reimbursed for an expense, the money is direct deposited into my bank account, usually within fewer than 24 hours. It's hard to beat that kind of turnaround time. My calls to customer service have been efficient and friendly, and I haven't had to fight Figo on a single claim. Because of all this, I am thrilled with my own choice, and am constantly referring other pet parents to check out Figo for their pet's insurance needs.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

Last May our 4 year old Bichon-Frise suddenly displayed neurological problems. She was rapidly losing use of her hind legs, and became painful to touch. We brought her to our local vet, and they referred us to a full service clinic that has a neurosurgeon on staff. Turns out our dog has a fairly common condition, intervertebral disc disease (IVDD), a diagnosis given to us while we sat in our car in the parking lot. A treatment plan which included surgery was given, and a price range of $7200-$9600 was given, and we had to pay the low end of range for service to be rendered. We authorized a payment to our credit card.

The dog recovered, final bill was actually $6100, I submitted the invoice via Figo's app, and within 48 hours, I had reimbursement for appropriate amount in my designated bank account. Three months after surgery, our dog had a relapse. We repeated the same steps, and again Figo reimbursed for surgery. On top of all this, Figo paid for therapy. My wife and I would have paid for the first surgery regardless, but thanks to Figo our decision to do the second surgery was quite easy.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

My dog is around 13 years old and I rescued her over 8 years ago. I hadn't really considered insurance until she started getting older and was worried that the time would come when she would have an issue and knew I would do whatever it took to take care of her. I took out pet insurance over a year ago before she had any issues. The first year I put through a couple visits and had no issue with reimbursement. Just this past month she had to have emergency surgery and between the vet visit and the subsequent emergency room visit, it was over $8,000.

While I had no issues with previous submissions, I was concerned that because of the high cost of surgery the insurance company might not want to reimburse me. It took longer than the other submissions but the other ones were reimbursed within a couple days. Figo had to wait for some notes from my vet and emergency room. They closed the case before they received those notes but opened it right away after I called and got my vet to send the notes. Once that happened, I received reimbursement of about $6,50, after deductible with my 90% plan. The only thing not reimbursed was tax. All in all, even with those issues and the high cost, it took them about 8-10 days to approve the claim and to deposit it in my account.

My premiums went up after the first year but the reality is with her age and the submissions, it was to be expected. I'm not looking forward to what the premiums will be next year but there's not much I wouldn't do for my girl. I'd definitely recommend them as I've not had any problems with coverage and it saved me so much.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

Reviewing all of the plans in 2016 when I got my new dog, there were about 8 different pet insurance companies that were pretty legit, I came upon one of the very newest ones, Figo... and they blew me away! What I liked about them is that I could tell they REALLY did their homework — I could tell they studied all of the other companies out there, kept all the good stuff these companies offered and left all the bad stuff behind. The premium price was great. The coverage was great. I spoke to them on the phone and got a taste of their customer service. Well, they sold me!

1. Coverage: they cover everything I need — and I have always been reimbursed for everything as I've expected, even physical therapy. My dog unfortunately had to have four surgeries this year, two major, two minor, and everything was covered. Also, they are one of the few companies (maybe now the only one?) that covers 100% of the bill, if you choose that option (there are also several lower coverage options for lower premiums). Most other companies don't offer more than 90% and some even less than that. They also cover all exam fees as an optional add-on — many companies don't offer that option at all.

2. Claims Process: yes, at one time they did have a problem there. But they have since corrected that and I usually get most reimbursements approved within a day or two and then it just takes another day or two for them to direct deposit into my account.

3. Customer Service: excellent! I actually have one customer service rep who helps me regularly and she is terrific. But a lot can be done on their app — they were the first pet insurance company to come out with an app and they have the best one in the business. Very, very easy to submit a claim — and you can look at all the documents 24/7.

4. Premium Coverage: It was great first two years. Then they changed carriers and it went up exponentially. I was none too pleased. They finally changed their carrier earlier this year and it went DOWN exponentially yet my coverage remained the same (except they no longer cover dental for reasons of illness, only accidents). So, they listened to their customers and I couldn't be happier.

I couldn't be more pleased how things are going with Figo. As long as my annual rate increase is incremental and not exponential, I anticipate my happiness will not diminish. One thing to do in your search for pet insurance: compare at least three different companies, or even a half-dozen, if you have the time and patience. This shouldn't be something you go into without some deep research. Once you go with a company and you submit a claim, that condition you submitted for will become "pre-existing" if you change insurance companies and they won't cover it. Even Figo may not be perfect for your needs, so compare. Also, do what is called a Medical Records Review for at least two, if not three, of your final choices. When you do that the companies will tell you what they will and won't cover, so there will be no surprises. Good luck!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

The day you get a pet, should also be the day you get insurance for them. All three of my dogs are insured through FIGO. I opted for the ultimate on my dogs. It has covered chemo, hydrotherapy, Nephrectomy and so many other things. With the Figo app it’s hassle free. And everyone I have ever spoke with has been so nice and helpful. Do yourself and your pet a favor! Insure them!! And insure them with Figo.

Figo Pet Insurance response

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We are so happy that Figo has given you peace of mind to know that you can take on whatever life throws your way. Please feel free to reach out if you ever need anything. Thanks for being part of the Figo family! Say hi to Beau, Duke, and Nita for us!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

I had a premium policy for more than a year, the last week my dog had an accident and I went to the vet, the bill was over 1k and I had to Z{ay for every test and service at the vet after I did submit the claim via Figo account, I was very surprised that this insurance denied any reimbursements, I mean they are stating that they do cover x-rays, blood test and etc BUT THEY DENIED ANY REIMBURSEMENTS EVEN FOR MY DOG MEDICATION! Such a rip off! Do not go with this insurance, be aware of such a scam company!

Figo Pet Insurance response
    Hi Anna,

We’re sorry to hear your experience with Figo has caused frustration. At Figo, we focus on covering any new accident or illness that arises. One exclusion, however, is parasitic infection. Diagnostic testing, treatment, and prevention of parasites are not eligible for coverage. We're sad to see that you have canceled your policy but we were honored to have you as loyal members of the Figo Family since October 2020 and we sincerely hope she is feeling better and on the road to recovery!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I’ve been so pleased with Figo! They have covered so much of my pet’s care after an orthopedic concern. Every time I call or chat with someone from Figo they are helpful and kind. Also, I really appreciate how clear their explanation of benefits is.

Original review: July 21, 2021

Our dog Penny has been insured by FIGO since we rescued her 4 years ago. I couldn't be happier with the way FIGO has treated us. We've ended up with a lot of claims including TPLO surgery. They have been very fair with what they covered and very fast! I've sent many friends to them.

Original review: July 20, 2021

We have had FIGO since our dog Chuck was 3 months old. He is now 4 and the light of our lives!!! Loving, affectionate and well behaved. Unfortunately he has also had an ACL procedure, tumor removed and now Lymphoma. We have incurred thousands and thousands of dollars in chemotherapy treatments and related procedures. I really don't know if we would have been able to do this without FIGO. Whenever I call or email they are responsive, accommodating and kind. It means a lot. Thank you.

Figo Pet Insurance Company Information