Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.25/5

Figo Pet Insurance Reviews

Original review: March 4, 2020

I am so ashamed of myself for signing up for this pet insurance. I have been paying on my policy for almost a year. I needed to file a claim for my cat as she was throwing up. I took her to the vet hospital they really did not find anything wrong with her. They did give her some medicine as they felt she may be having a problem with defecating. My cat had this problem around 3 years ago but the vet did not find anything that was causing this. She said she may have eaten something that caused this. Of course, when I submitted my claim to FIGO they denied it as they stated that this was a precondition that was not covered. My total vet bill was $932. I agreed to the additional testing as I thought I was covered under this insurance plan. Big mistake!!!! When I called the lady would not provide me the legal address to provide to my attorney nor would she provide me anyone else to speak with. She stated that she was the only person in the office.

I asked to speak with her manager and of course, they were not available. This is a typical insurance response when they do not want to payout. She kept tell me that they do payout for services and recently paid a $20,000 claim. HA HA HA, what was that the one claim for the year and this has been added to your script to defuse customers? Cats get sick and mine does about every 6 months or so but it passes. Their response was as follows: "Cat has a history of intermittent vomiting and constipation over the last 2 years. She has episodes about every 6 months where she will be straining to defecate and will produce either nothing or large dry fecal balls. She always vomits and cries during the days when she is sick.

Chronic intermittent vomiting, constipation, anorexia, +/- diarrhea" But this is not covered as they consider this as a precondition prior to taking out my policy. Again, they have no intention of paying anything out and they expect their payment every month on time. Think the only way you could get a claim is that it has to be a newborn with no problems and then maybe they will payout something but like most insurance companies they will find a loophole. Please I beg you not to make the same mistake I did. I am so ashamed and embarrassed I allowed myself to be taken advantage of.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

Started my policy when my puppy was less than one year. When it came time for policy renewal (one year later), they raised our premium from $352.81 to $618.65 and deductible from $200 to $500. Needless to say, I'm canceling my policy.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I have recently found out my cat has cancer. I submitted all prior medical records and two claims to cover the initial costs for the exams. I'm being told it can take up to two weeks for this to be back in my account. She has never had a pre-existing condition and I'm so sick because the bills are rising and this insurance company is not doing anything. Why pay a monthly premium and do everything they ask, and it's complete silence while your pet is sick and needs help. I'm running out of money and no answer from them on at least where they are in the process is frustrating and stressful during a time that is difficult already. This is the whole reason I got insurance is in case my pet is sick and I can't get any help here. You should really be more responsive and let your customers know where the claims are in the process and it shouldn't take this long to be paid back.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

Cost to sign up our 3 yr old tabby with no prior medical issues was $209. Then a year later they increased premium to $420. Their only explanation was that the cost of writing insurance policies had increased, so they had to adjust their premiums accordingly. See ya later, Figo!

Original review: May 22, 2019

Do not buy this insurance. It's a total bait and switch. They have attractive rates when you start, but last year my premium went up 25%, and they said it was a adjustment to level their prices with other companies. I just got my annual increase, and this year it went up over 30%. Their prices go up faster than even my own health care costs. They will respond to this and other postings saying they will work with you, but all that means is that they will adjust your coverage to make your monthly payment lower, but you are also giving up coverage or raising your deductibles. My dog is only 2 and has been very healthy. There is no reason for these types of increases except pure greed on their part.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Figo Pet Insurance?

Original review: April 23, 2019

I had Figo on my little puppy. I also paid extra to cover vet visits. I submitted three separate claims and they denied all of them. They gave me the runaround on why they declined my claims. They had no intention on paying the claims so my advice cancel this insurance if you have it and find an insurance that actually works. Don’t waste your money on this one. You won’t see a dime of the money owed to you.

Original review: July 30, 2018

We were covered by FIGO from July 2017 until July 2018. Prior to coverage effect we took our kitten to our vet for her first check-up and she was found healthy. We submitted the records to FIGO as required. During the first several months, they refused every claim for our 4 month old kitten asserting everything was a "pre-existing condition".

By October 2017 I was fed-up, so I sent them a strongly worded letter where I explained in part: "Every insurance contract has an unwritten, invisible, or implied term referred to as the covenant or promise of good faith and fair dealing. This is a promise imposed by law upon an insurance company to always act fairly towards its insured in handling their claims. Denying benefits, delaying payments and paying less than what is owed are examples of acting unreasonably and constitute bad faith. Other actions or inactions that may be bad faith are if the insurance carrier fails to thoroughly and promptly investigate your claim. In my estimation the apparent failure to investigate my claim leading to the unwarranted denial of said claim is gross mismanagement needling dangerously close to the appearance of bad faith insurance practices."

I then threatened to report them (FIGO) to our State Department of Insurance. After this, they paid my claim and I never heard from them again. They always paid every claim. (Suspicious action in my estimation. I believe they didn't want to have someone investigating their practices.) Now, here at the end of July, it is time to renew our policy. They hiked up our rate 100 percent! For a healthy 1 year old cat! They also did so with zero transparency. They sent an email out in June explaining "some states could potentially see a rate increase".

They then gave no information as to which states would see an increase or by what amount. They instructed us to log-in and see if we would be affected. We did and we were not. 3 weeks later, we still were not affected. Then today, when payment for the next year would be due, we found they increased the rate 100 percent. We are so disgusted by this company and advise you strongly to avoid it like the plague! Companies like this one should be shamed out of business.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Expect slow processing and then if you have a question or complaint, someone to argue with you about how you don’t know how insurance works. Not happy so far. They want vet records for everything uploaded and then it just sits there in an uploaded file. Have been paying premiums but have not received a payment for anything yet.

Figo Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Figo Pet Insurance, created in 2012, is a company that provides health insurance for cats and dogs. It's the first cloud-based insurance company that offers personal Web-based tools and applications for pets and pet owners.

• Healthcare made easy: Figo Pet Insurance's simple claims process makes it easy to upload a bill and be reimbursed for veterinary expenses.

• Easy-to-use mobile app: Figo Pet Insurance's Pet Cloud app allows owners to track their pets if they wander off as well as locate nearby veterinarians, parks and pet-friendly restaurants and hotels.

• Centralized records: Subscribers can upload documents such as vital records, certificates and special moments directly into the Figo Pet Insurance Pet Cloud app from any device.

• Automated alerts: Figo Pet Insurance's Pet Cloud app automatically sends alerts to remind pet owners of veterinarian appointments and office visits.

• Personalized options: Figo Pet Insurance offers a variety of different plans that allow subscribers to choose the level of care that best fits their budget.

• Best for: Tech-savvy pet owners who want to take steps to ensure their pets receive quality healthcare

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor

Figo Pet Insurance questions and answers

What problem is Figo Pet Insurance trying to solve?
            We felt the pet insurance industry could use a revamp. In an industry void of technology we decided to build a company based on technology. From the beginning we had the user experience in mind. Our goal was to make life easier for people and their pets by addressing the many pain points that come with pet ownership and creating a solution for that. We are so much more than just insurance.
            What sets Figo Pet Insurance apart from the competition?
            Our pet insurance product is well thought-out, we try to be transparent with our clients on what is covered and what is not covered. Our plans are affordable and customizable so you can select your deductible and reimbursement. Figo is "paperless" everything, the process can be done online through our pet cloud and that includes filing a claim. To file a claim, just take a picture of the bill, upload it and answer a few questions and you will get paid electronically. Our technology sets us apart.
            What needs do your product or service fulfill, and how does Figo Pet Insurance fulfill those needs better than your competition?
            Technology makes life easier if done well. More than just insurance our free pet cloud stores all your pets records, which is great to have if your pet has an emergency. Other features of the cloud allow you to find a vet, groomer, dog park, pet hotel and more in your area. Our pet tags, that we give free, help reunite owners with their lost pet if they ever go missing. The shots and reminders portion of the pet cloud keeps all your shots and vaccinations up to date and sends alerts to your phone when your pets shots are about to expire. These are just a few features of the cloud the rest can be seen on our website.
            What’s the most common misconception consumers have about the pet insurance industry?
            The industry as a whole has a stigma that pet insurance does not pay. Figo Pet Insurance tries the best to communicate with our customers what is covered and what is not covered.

Figo Pet Insurance Company Information