About Prudent Pet Insurance
Prudent Pet believes all pets should enjoy good health while receiving the best veterinary care. The company provides a personal approach to accidents and illness as well as wellness care plans for dogs and cats. All of its agents have a background in veterinary care and can help answer your insurance questions. The company has budget-friendly plans and uses AI-powered claims technology for fast claim reimbursement. With no in-network requirements, you can keep your local veterinarian.
- 10% discount for adding a second pet
- Visit any licensed vet you want
- Covers pets of all ages and breeds
- Doesn’t cover preexisting conditions
Prudent Pet Insurance is an online pet insurance company that has two highly customizable policies for cats and dogs and optional add-on coverage.
How does Prudent Pet Insurance work?
Prudent Pet Insurance offers custom insurance coverage for your dog or cat that covers up to 90% of veterinary costs. Customers pay a monthly fee for coverage that works with any licensed veterinarian. If you’re interested in signing up for a Prudent Pet Insurance policy, visit its website and provide your pet's name, breed, age and gender to get an accurate idea of how much your policy costs.
Prudent Pet customers can choose their reimbursement (70% to 90%), annual limit ($10,000 to unlimited), and deductible ($100, $250 or $500) when signing up for a policy.
If you have to take your pet to the veterinarian, you can easily submit a claim by sending your vet receipt along with Prudent Pet’s claim form by email, fax or the company’s online pet portal. Prudent Pet reimburses policyholders by check or direct deposit.
Prudent Pet Insurance plans
Prudent Pet Insurance has three plans and optional Wellness Coverage Care addons. The three core plans are: Accident Only, Essential, and Ultimate.
Coverage begins five days after you sign up for a policy for accidents and 14 days after you sign for illnesses. However, neither of Prudent Pet’s plans covers cosmetic changes, preexisting conditions or costs related to breeding or pregnancy.
For any Prudent Pet plan, you can sign up for Wellness Care Coverage, which gives you complete care options regardless of whether you’ve met your deductible. Wellness Care Coverage comes in three levels.
- Low: Eight preventive care benefits totaling $210 in coverage benefits
- Medium: Nine preventive care benefits totaling $315 in coverage benefits
- High: 11 preventive care benefits totaling $460 in coverage benefits
How much does Prudent Pet Insurance cost?
Prudent Pet Insurance has multiple plans you can customize based on your budget and your pet’s needs. The cost of Prudent Pet Insurance varies based on your pet's age and what breed of dog or cat you have. We used a 3-year-old Australian shepherd to get an idea of the monthly cost for Prudent Pet’s insurance:
- Accident Only plan: With 90% reimbursement, a $250 deductible and a $10,000 coverage limit, an Accident Only policy would cost $20.49 per month. This plan only covers injuries resulting from accidents that occur after you enroll.
- Essential plan: With a deductible of $250, a $10,000 coverage limit and 90% reimbursement, an Essential policy costs $46.57 a month. This plan covers accidents, illnesses, behavioral issues and hereditary and congenital conditions.
- Ultimate plan: With a deductible of $250, an unlimited coverage limit and 90% reimbursement, an Ultimate plan would cost $61.58 a month. This plan provides the same coverage as essential but adds limited benefits for behavioral issues and boarding. It also provides limited benefits for the loss or death of your pet.
Wellness Care Coverage for a Prudent Pet Insurance policy cost an extra $11.95 a month for the Low level, $19.95 a month for the Medium level and $29.95 a month for the High level.
Prudent Pet Insurance FAQ
- What does Prudent Pet Insurance cover?
- Prudent Pet Insurance has three plans that cover either accidents only or accidents and illnesses.
- Can I keep my vet with Prudent Pet Insurance?
- Yes, you can use Prudent Pet Insurance’s coverage at any licensed veterinarian’s office.
- Does Prudent Pet Insurance pay the vet directly?
- No, Prudent Pet Insurance doesn't pay the vet directly. After you take your pet to the veterinarian, you send Prudent Pet Insurance a copy of your receipts from the visit along with one of the company's claim forms. Prudent Pet then sends you a reimbursement check or directly deposits the funds into your bank account.
- What is not covered by Prudent Pet Insurance?
- Prudent Pet Insurance doesn’t cover preexisting conditions, cosmetic changes or costs related to breeding or pregnancy.
Is Prudent Pet Insurance good?
Prudent Pet Insurance’s plans are easy to personalize and budget-friendly. The company’s coverage is a great option for dog and cat owners with pets of any age or breed that visit the vet’s office more often than a few times a year. Its 10% discount for a second pet makes Prudent Pet Insurance ideal for owners of multiple pets, and many people appreciate the ability to customize their plans.
A link has directed you to this review. Its location on this page may change next time you visit.
- 3,426,712 reviews on ConsumerAffairs are verified.
- We require contact information to ensure our reviewers are real.
- We use intelligent software that helps us maintain the integrity of reviews.
- Our moderators read all reviews to verify quality and helpfulness.
For more information about reviews on ConsumerAffairs.com please visit our FAQ.
I have spent a fortune on vet bills in the past, as my last dog battled cancer. We got Prudent Pet Insurance for our new dog, and I am so thankful! I've already saved money on vet bills. Highly recommend.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter! Enjoy reading our tips and recommendations.
We enrolled our mastiff puppy a year ago and thank goodness we did. Unfortunately our puppy has bad allergies and also a bad habit of eating things he shouldn't so we visit the vet more than we'd like. Prudent Pet has a super simple way to submit invoices. I just upload the invoice from my phone on the way home from the vet, and then I'm reimbursed in days. The coverage is great, no hidden surprises. Website is very user friendly.
Prudent Pet Insurance Company Information
- Company Name:
- Prudent Pet Insurance
- 5101 Darmstadt Rd
- Postal Code:
- United States