2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.17/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Nationwide Pet Insurance, previously known as Veterinary Pet Insurance, or VPI, provides coverage for dogs, cats and exotic animals. Exotic animal plans cover birds, reptiles, amphibians, rodents and goats. Pet owners can choose from four insurance plans, including basic coverage and full wellness coverage. Costs are reasonable, and the company offers discounts. Customers can get free quotes online for dog and cat insurance but need to call Nationwide for exotic pet insurance quotes.

BOTTOM LINE

Nationwide Pet Insurance covers dogs, cats and exotic animals, offering basic plans and comprehensive wellness coverage. Nationwide offers coverage to pets of any age, though plans are limited for older animals.

PROS

• Multipet discounts
    • No maximum age limit
    • Covers exotic pets
    • Wellness coverage

CONS

• No online quotes for exotic pets
    • Limited plans for older pets

Top Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

I adopted a kitten in June of 2017 and purchased the Whole Pet with Wellness plan for him. ... It turned out my cat was cryptorchid and had to undergo surgery. ... I spent almost $5,000 in vet bills. They reimbursed me 90% of my vet bills with no questions asked. Everything has gone smoothly.

I have had Nationwide Pet Insurance for my two beagles for 8+ years. Nationwide reimbursed the majority of expenses associated with my Charlie’s splenectomy, cancer and associated chemo treatments. Their website is easy to navigate and submitting claims is fast with a great response time.

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

How does Nationwide Pet Insurance work?

Nationwide acquired VPI Pet Insurance, also called VPI, in 2014. For pet owners whose pets need medical care, Nationwide Pet Insurance can help save thousands of dollars through reimbursement of veterinarian bills.

Request a quote online through Nationwide’s secure site or by phone. To get started, provide your ZIP code and your pet’s name, age and breed. Nationwide Pet Insurance then provides a quote for review. There is a 14-day waiting period for coverage after making your first payment.

Nationwide Pet Insurance plans

Nationwide Pet Insurance offers four major plans for cats and dogs: Major Medical, Major Medical with Wellness, Whole Pet and Whole Pet with Wellness. Each plan includes nose-to-tail coverage, though conditions vary based on the plan type selected. All of these plans have a fixed deductible of $250.

Major Medical
        The most economical of Nationwide’s pet insurance plans, Major Medical covers basic accidents and illnesses and allows pet owners to use any veterinarian or hospital they like. The annual deductible for this plan is fixed at $250, and annual benefits are predefined depending on the condition. The Major Medical plan is not always available to older pets.
        Major Medical with Wellness
        A step up from the Major Medical plan, Nationwide’s Major Medical with Wellness plan also includes wellness exams, vaccinations, bloodwork and illness prevention. As with the Major Medical plan, the annual deductible is $250, and annual benefit limits depend on the condition. This plan is not always available to older pets.
        Whole Pet
        An option for older pets, Nationwide’s Whole Pet plan includes all the benefits of the Major Medical plan but adds some dental, behavioral, prescription and holistic treatment coverage. The annual deductible is fixed at $250 with $10,000 total annual benefits.
        Whole Pet with Wellness
        Nationwide’s most comprehensive and most customizable policy, Whole Pet with Wellness has a wide range of coverage. While the annual deductible is set at $250 and annual benefits are unlimited, pet owners have the option to adjust their reimbursement level from 90% to 70% or 50%. A lower reimbursement percentage lowers the cost of this plan.

Note that the above plans may not be available for exotic pets. Nationwide requires owners of birds, reptiles, rodents and other exotic pets to call a Nationwide Pet Insurance customer service representative to receive information about plans, coverage and costs.

Nationwide Pet Insurance coverage

Nationwide Pet Insurance covers accidents and illnesses and can also include preventive medicine, dental care, spaying, neutering and behavioral treatments. Nationwide’s most comprehensive plan, Whole Pet with Wellness, is the most expensive, but it also provides maximum benefits for pets of all types.

Compare coverage of Nationwide’s pet insurance plans:

Major MedicalMM + WellnessWhole PetWP + Wellness
        Major Medical
        MM + Wellness
        Whole Pet
        MP + Wellness

While each Nationwide Pet Insurance policy type has its advantages, many pet owners opt for the Major Medical with Wellness or Whole Pet with Wellness plan so their pets are fully covered.

Currently, Nationwide Pet Insurance does not cover:

• Preexisting conditions
        • Grooming, including nail trims and shampoos
        • Expenses not directly related to the veterinary bill, like credit card fees
        • Certain plan restrictions based on specific policy type

Nationwide Pet Insurance defines preexisting conditions as injuries or illnesses that occurred before coverage started. This exclusion includes some hereditary conditions.

At Nationwide Pet Insurance, dogs and cats won’t be dropped from coverage based on their age or the number of claims filed.

How much does Nationwide Pet Insurance cost?

Nationwide Pet Insurance quotes vary depending on the plan you choose, but Nationwide dog insurance costs between $26 and $60 per month for most breeds, while cat insurance costs between $13 and $46. For dogs and cats, customers get a free quote online, but if you’re looking into Nationwide’s exotic pet insurance, you need to call for a quote.

Nationwide Pet Insurance's prices vary based on the breed and age of your pet. If you’re looking for a low-cost plan, consider choosing one with a variable reimbursement percentage. Unlike most pet insurance providers, Nationwide Pet Insurance offers reimbursement percentages as low as 50%, which lets customers pay more out of pocket for a vet bill but less in their monthly premiums.

Discounts are available to policyholders who enroll two or more pets or those who are already members of Nationwide.

Nationwide Pet Insurance FAQ

Does Nationwide Pet Insurance cover spaying?
        Yes, the Whole Pet with Wellness plans offers coverage for spaying or neutering. The Whole Pet, Major Medical and the Major Medical with Wellness plans do not cover this service for any pet.
        Does Nationwide Pet Insurance cover emergency visits?
        Depending on the condition that needs treatment, some Nationwide Pet Insurance plans do cover emergency visits, which includes accidents and illnesses. Call a Nationwide customer service representative for more information.
        Does Nationwide Pet Insurance cover dental cleanings?
        The Whole Pet and Whole Pet with Wellness plans cover dental cleanings, but not all of Nationwide’s pet insurance plans do.
        Where can I find a Nationwide Pet Insurance claim form?
        To file a Nationwide Pet Insurance claim, policyholders visit the website or the VitusVet app. On the website, policyholders can download and complete the form and then return it and any paid invoices via email, fax or mail.

Is Nationwide Pet Insurance good?

Nationwide offers affordable pet insurance for dogs, cats and exotic animals. Although coverage is available for older animals, plans may be limited and premiums may be high. If you already have a policy with Nationwide or are looking to insure multiple pets, expect to receive discounts.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Original review: June 22, 2020

My workplace offers this benefit but it is absolutely a waste, even with the discount offered to me. The only pet policy available to me did not include neutering because it is considered a "wellness procedure." And because I didn't pay an extra $70/month to cover wellness, they did not cover it. Six months of paying over $100/month for them to cover $50. It would be an infinitely better idea to go to a vet that accepts CareCredit and pay for major expenses with that. That offers six months with no interest. If I paid that instead of the cost of insurance for the neutering, I could've easily covered it within six months with CareCredit. Do not let them cheat you.

Original review: May 27, 2020

This insurance is good for office visits and shots but the reimbursement is not that good cuz it has a cap per illness. I have 2 other dogs with Healthy Paws ins. They don't pay for office visits and shots but man the reimbursement with big health problems is great. After 13 years with Nationwide (before VPI) my premium for my one dog went up $70 per month. Wth!! I say try healthy paws, I pay around $90 for my other 5 & 6 year dogs and claims are easy to process. I am so disappointed with Nationwide and the amount I will pay for my healthy 13 year old dog which is now at $200 per month.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 20, 2020

I have been paying premiums for 12+ years on my dog. We have never needed to use the insurance thank goodness for a healthy dog. Now that she's 13 they raised monthly rate to $81 a month which I cannot afford. After all these years never doing a single claim they're going to raise it so high I can't afford it and it's right in the golden years when something could happen. We made the investment month after month. Don't get this company's insurance, you won't be able to afford premiums when your dog gets older.

Original review: May 17, 2020

Our Pet Insurance Plan was purchased from another company and that began our experience with Nationwide. As our pet became older, many of the bills submitted were refused due to preexisting conditions. For example, our dog was hospitalized for 3 nights last July with a bill close to $5,000. The hospital submitted at least 100 pages to Nationwide to substantiate the hospitalization. They paid approximately $1,000.

Another example, our dog needed a pacemaker and we were quoted a figure on the phone in the hospital. They then refused to pay a portion of the quoted figure they gave us. There have been many frustrating phone calls to supervisors on the plan to discuss refusal for payment over certain bills. At one point, I wrote the President of Nationwide Pet Insurance to express my concerns and did not receive a response. We would have switched plans but our dog was older and we no longer had the option. If you select Nationwide, be careful of the plan you select if you expect payment for bills as your pet becomes older. Dr. Catherine **

Original review: April 16, 2020

Nationwide is a bad bad customer service company! Be careful! They find all kinds of excuses not paying you. I have been with Nationwide Pet Insurance since I was a 2-month. I used major medical plan for the past 2 years. This year I turned to another plan called pet protection plan ($800/year after company discount!!!) However, my claims since then were declined. Nationwide requires me to provide past 2 years all medical records. I did, I contacted my vets and sent copies to nationwide. However, I was told those medical records’ format are not qualified.

Then I called customer care today. A lady (Brandy???) answered. My guessing is right. Nationwide forgot to link my two plans. They created a new Molly in the system and thought I am a new customer so they can try to push back my claims as preexisting conditions. However, no matter how hard I explained I am not a new customer and provided all my old plan‘ informations, she insist saying we need your medical records again. I said OK. I can definitely try to contact my vets again but I hope she can at least investigate my case a little bit?

At my request, she finally agreed to look into my old policy number. but after several seconds, she just said Nationwide called me when my old policy number was about to expire, my husband answered and told them we already transferred to a competitive company!!!! (She named a different plan as competitive company??? Excuse me???) So this was our fault, we would be treated as a new customer. I was pissed off at that time and said why not just cancel my plan? She did. She used less than 10 seconds cancelling my insurance then, (I still paid for 4 months Premium and got 0$ back).

Original review: April 14, 2020

Terrible processing and underwriting department. My experience started a little while early March. I had a call with Dee the representative to help me start my policy for my pet. I gave full disclosure with regards to all the medical concerns my pet, Ino, has went through. I received a letter on March 10,2020. Stating that they will start asking for medical records within 3 business days. I started wondering how the process was going around April 6,2020. I gave a call to ask for the status of my pet policy. They stated that they are currently waiting on one of the three hospitals I have stated to be able to pursue further review (meaning they have already received the medical records for the other two). The representative stated that it was blurry. I had wanted to get to the bottom of it because it’s been a month! No one mentioned anything that the delay had been over a month because of a blurry picture!

I asked if I could help by calling them and to have them refax it. I did just that. Then, they received it promptly which made the process go faster under the underwriting Dept. Review (I received an e-mail about it). So I thought I could breathe easy. However, my frustrations were not going to go so easily. I suddenly got an e-mail today at around 5 am stating they need further documents to review about the mass removal of my pet’s shoulder. I had told them that they had stated that those medical records was already received as stated by the other individual I had spoken to previously. I expressed my frustration that due to the whole process taking over a month with expectations that it would be quick just like my other pet insurance, I would just like to cancel the policy. The customer representative, Naomi, has stated that I cannot go further either way because the documents are still missing. This irked me even more.

As I have stated, the previous individual has stated the records were received and only one of the hospitals were being waited on. I decided to just not deal with the matter as every single complaint will be rebutted by their documentation (pointless) of saying they called the hospitals with no luck of getting anything (despite if I give a call they respond quickly). I hope they could get better customer care representatives that are able to do what they can (to exhaust their options) before bothering potential clients to do further. I work as an RN working two jobs. I rarely get time. This whole process was frustrating. If you happen to read across my review, take it to heart/mind. I’d rather not push through.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I have had this insurance company coverage and paying premiums for 11 years. Now that my dog is 11 years old, they have increased my monthly premium by $60 a month!!! When I asked why they said it was because of her age. It is terrible that they are now price gouging me now when Beatriz is getting older and probably needs her insurance more than she has before. There is no loyalty for customers, beware and really look at your options before considering a long term commitment to this company. There is no way to appeal the financial decisions they make for your beloved pet. They are forcing me to make a very hard decision. Shame on them.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I got this insurance through work and have an English Bulldog. They denied every claim I submitted for him in a year and looked for loopholes to not cover any of it. This is a SCAM. Do not use them! I read every experience list on this site and can say at least I dropped them before they tired to hike my premiums for having a high risk dog, but short of that I experienced every other thing on here. I have nothing good to say about them!!!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

We enrolled our dog in what was then VPI when our now 8 1/2 year old dog was just about eight weeks old. We had wellness and major medical coverage for her first year, and then switched to just the major medical coverage because it was more economical. Our dog has always been healthy and our claims were minimal (a couple of porcupine quills, an ear infection and other minor medical events). Because of this, we thought the coverage was good and fair. After our deductible we were reimbursed in the neighborhood of 80 percent. For the last four years, our premiums went up quite a bit, but we stayed loyal to Nationwide--thinking we were covered in the event that there was a medical crisis.

Well, here we are in the midst of a medical crisis. Our dog was diagnosed with cancer about a month ago, and as it turns out, Nationwide has not been on our side. Their major medical coverage is a benefit schedule (unless you are willing to pay for their pricey Whole Pet Wellness plan, though even that has a lot of exclusions). And the benefit schedule is both confusing and completely out of touch with the reality of what pet care costs for a major medical event. To be truly informed, you would have to translate the medical-ese of the benefit schedule and then research the cost for a whole host of medical issues. And then read all of the fine, fine print of medical exclusions (including certain kinds of cancers). The good news for us is that our dog's cancer was not included in the exclusion list.

The bad news is that the "coverage" being provided amounts to about 30 percent of the costs we have incurred for the diagnosis and treatment. Take, for example, Nationwide's allowance for diagnostic testing: It is $1600 for the policy term (not annual). To diagnose and treat our dog required two CT scans. Just one CT scan costs nearly that. (Note that the annual allowance for the CT scan is less than that.) If you needed an ultrasound and a CT scan to diagnose a condition you would have used up your entire allowance for diagnostic testing for the pet's life.

I have appealed the claims they have denied because we have used up our paltry allowance for her diagnosis, but do not expect any change. Subsequently, we have cancelled our policy for our younger dog and chosen a different insurer that has a policy that is explained in much clearer terms and offers far more comprehensive coverage for the same price. Unfortunately, we will have to stay with Nationwide for the dog who is sick.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

My lab is almost 15 years old and we started this coverage back when it was VPI pet insurance. My premium is now up to $100 per month and they cover NOTHING. We have been lucky he’s been pretty healthy so far but recently his arthritis has gotten worse leading to a few more vet visits. His last visit cost $350 and they covered $25. Ridiculous! They also cover less and less of his yearly exam each year. There is no point in paying this costly premium that covers nothing.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Company Information