1.34/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

Nationwide Pet Insurance

Need a pet insurance provider?

Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

As a veterinarian, I know how expensive pet emergencies can be and did not want to be left in a terrible dilemma should my 9month old puppy become sick, eat something she shouldn’t have or hurt herself. I recommend pet insurance to all my new puppy owners just for these reasons. Unfortunately my puppy tragically passed away in a hiking accident when out with my partner just one day after her insurance kicked in. Unfortunately her injury took her instantly and there was nothing we could do. I called Nationwide to cancel my policy which was very easy and they were very compassionate. About a week later we found our silver lining pup and so I got insurance once again.

I just received a letter today expressing their condolences on the lost of our first puppy and they informed me they were refunding me for the premium. I was so surprised but it really helped lift the financial burden I found myself in after putting in $394 for our puppy who tragically passed. I was not expecting this refund nor did I ask for it. Thank you Nationwide for understanding the human animal bond and understanding that unfortunate accidents happen and providing me with a little financial relief during this hard time.

Original review: May 22, 2019

Nationwide Pet Insurance was the perfect addition to my work benefits. Once I enrolled, I designated the premium to be automatically taken out of my paycheck. Because my cat was already up to date with all his health and dental needs prior to me purchasing the "Whole Pet with Wellness" plan, it was simply a precaution against a worst-case scenario. Unfortunately, the scenario came to fruition when my Shadow had to be rushed into surgery for a blockage in his small intestine. He was hospitalized for 3 nights and needed around the clock IV fluids. This was an expensive emergency! While I had to pay the 5k upfront, once I submitted my receipts for reimbursement the processing, approval, and payout time took place within a week. This is why I bought the insurance, for emergencies and I'm glad I did! It saved my wallet, my credit, and most importantly, my Shadowcat's life! Thanks Nationwide!!!

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I read other reviews before I got this insurance, which made me concerned about it - but the policy seemed solid so I paid for it. The policy I paid for was the "Whole Pet with Wellness" policy, $100 deducible and 90% reimbursement for a wide variety of conditions. Now, having read the reviews, I was aware that some were complaining that the company didn't cover expenses that they hadn't paid for insurance for. Right now Nationwide has three different plans, and I picked the most expensive, which covered injuries/illness/general wellness like vaccinations. If you choose the plan that only covers vaccinations/spaying and neutering/etc, they won't cover injuries.

However, with the amount of complaints I was still concerned. On May 1st, our big fluffboy started limping very badly. He didn't want to put any weight on his front paw. We weren't sure what happened, and ended up rushing him to the vet. No breaks, no fractures, but they had to put him to sleep for the checkup because he was so scared. They even shaved his shoulder to check for injuries, but there wasn't much to find, so it was probably just a bad sprain.

Anyway, I submitted my claim on May 2nd, with all the paperwork from the vet attached, and fully expected to get the run around. Today I got the response that the claim was accepted and they're sending a check. No hassle. I just made sure I turned in necessary information and explained what happened and it went very smoothly. Took about 2 weeks. Needless to say I'm very happy right now and glad I have him covered. The coverage has paid about 70% for itself already and he'll still be covered until into the beginning of next year. It's been worth it for me, at least. Even if I don't have to use it again - and hopefully I don't need to - the peace of mind will be worth it.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Nationwide Pet Insurance has been a life saver for my dog who was diagnosed at the age of 4 with lymphoma. They have paid 90% of every claim submitted in a timely manner. I see many complaints written because people did not read and research the coverage options and choose wisely. This company is very transparent with any exclusions for each pet. Customer service is readily available and always helpful. I highly recommend the whole pet with wellness coverage which pays a percentage for actual costs incurred. THANK YOU NATIONWIDE!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

This company is a complete scam, please DO NOT purchase anything from them. Had a policy for one year. Filed 3 claims and all three were denied even though they were within the so called guidelines. They always claim the reason for denial is pre-existing conditions such as a "Skin Tag" and "Dental Tartar" to name a couple. They will always find a reason not to pay whether legit or not. This business engages in questionable business practices and you will be better off not dealing with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

This insurer engages in marketing practices that make it seem you will be covered for a variety of illnesses and injuries. After paying for 9 years, I made my first claim for a fractured tooth requiring extraction complicated by infection. The claim was denied despite being on their schedule of covered conditions. Why? Because his medical record from 1 year prior indicated "presence of tartar" on dental exam, despite regular cleanings. Deeming it "pre-exisiting" was their reason and was definitely not. This company will seek every excuse possible not to pay on claims. I would strongly suggest that pet owners seek alternative insurance options.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

My prior years of using the insurance for my dog Trooper were phenomenal! I’d submit the claim and unless needing more information, they covered exactly what they said they would. I understood the premiums would go up each year. It started off as $6 one year, a few dollars more the next but then the 2018 year it went up over $20. I figured because we were using it more that that was indeed the reason. So I called and was told that’s not the case and they confirmed that they never raise the premiums based on how many claims you submit to them each year. So I coughed it up to an increase for everyone across the board. 2018 was a tough year for trooper as he was in and out of the vets office for a lot of medical needs so there were a lot of claims submitted. Happy again that they were all paid but when I got my renewal notice for the upcoming year it went to almost $50 more a year. That is absolutely ridiculous.

So tell me why if it’s not based on the amount of claims why it increased? Completely dissatisfied with his insurance and if it wasn’t for his medical needs I would leave in a heartbeat because they do nothing but price gouge their customers and they know people will pay for it because they need it. For that reason alone, I would not recommend them to any of our friends and family and I’ll be sure to put in more claims to make it worth my wild because I’m sure they will just continue to raise it again. My dog is only 5 years old. We started out only paying $68 a month. The renewal for the upcoming year is quoted at $145. The plan doubled in almost 5 years and mostly from the last two years. When it was VPI this never happened. Get bought out by a national insurance company and sure enough just like the rest are greedy, price gouging criminals and they know it and they don’t care one bit!

Steer away from this insurance company because one way or another, they will find a way to make their money back from you and they will continue to lie to your face when they tell you that they don’t raise premiums based on the amount of claims you submit. That is simply a lie and should be considered FALSE ADVERTISEMENT OF THEIR INSURANCE PLAN!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

First had issues signing up for Pet Insurance. Thought it was all set and then got notice of cancellation and had to start 30 day process all over again. First claim submitted was no problem and paid promptly. Had not yet met deductible and no payout so not paid for. Okay no problem. Last month had to do a biopsy on dog’s snout and was a little more pricey plus deductible met but 22 days later and after submitting medical records not a thing yet. No proof other than their word that it is in review. All I have looking at website is the processing complete on website which was prior to medical records. Payments come out of my work paycheck every month. And I know for a fact that there is nothing about biopsy that was pre existing.

On one of my phone calls I was consistently yelled at and talked over by a rep. I am in customer service myself and if I were to demean a customer I would be having a big discussion with my supervisor. I am only going to give this a couple more months to be reimbursed because again no preexisting. In meantime I will begin looking elsewhere. Nationwide is not on your side.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

This insurance was good while the dogs were young, but they have just about doubled their fees in JUST ONE YEAR. I have 4 dogs and a cat with their insurance as well! One dog went from $1000/year to $1500; the other went from $1500/year to $2500! Nothing has increased the much in one year. They cannot even accommodate me with making bi-annual payments! Then they limit the amount of vet visits, the amount that can be spent on their mouth, the amount on allergy coverage that I have spent out of pocket as much as I paid them. It doesn't pay.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

New to Nationwide's pet coverage but thus far underwhelmed. For starters, if you opt to get the upper tier coverage which "includes" wellness exam coverage... just know your deductible must be met first. For me, the $250 deductible is double what my vet actually charges for wellness exams/shots etc and with the increased monthly cost of the plan...what's the point? My previous pet insurance covered routine wellness checks 100% while any acute illness fell into the % coverage guidelines. Upon realizing their "wellness" option was not cost effective, I realized I signed a year long contract that won't allow for changes. Granted, that's my oversight. On the plus side, I received very quick response(s) to my questions although they were canned answers with no effort or personalization.

Nationwide Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1982, when Veterinary Pet Insurance issued their first policy on TV star Lassie, this company has insured more than 1 million pets. Their commitment to making quality vet care affordable is backed by the financial stability of one of the world's largest insurance companies, Nationwide.

• Emergency help line: Emergencies can happen at any time, so having access to those trained in veterinary medicine 24/7 can make all the difference. Veterinary Pet Insurance offers free access to its help line with any of its policies.

• Tiered service plans: Veterinary care can be expensive, even when only looking at annual routine care. This company offers plans that cover everything from routine maintenance to comprehensive coverage.

• Exotic pets covered: In addition to their plans that cover dogs and cats, this pet health insurance company also offers coverage for everything from sugar gliders to opossums.

• Immediate coverage: Many pet insurance plans have a waiting period between enrollment and effective coverage date. With Veterinary Pet Insurance, coverage begins 24 hours after receiving payment.

• No networks: Use the vet you are most comfortable with and take control of the treatment plan. Covered services are always covered, with no pre-approvals needed.

• Best for: Dog lovers, cat lovers, exotic pet owners and multi-pet households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky