2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

3.8/5 (247 ratings)

About Nationwide Pet Insurance

Nationwide Pet Insurance, previously known as Veterinary Pet Insurance, or VPI, provides coverage for dogs, cats and exotic animals. Exotic animal plans cover birds, reptiles, amphibians, rodents and goats. Pet owners can choose from four insurance plans, including basic coverage and full wellness coverage. Costs are reasonable, and the company offers discounts. Customers can get free quotes online for dog and cat insurance but need to call Nationwide for exotic pet insurance quotes.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Multipet discounts
    • No maximum age limit
    • Covers exotic pets
    • Wellness coverage

Cons

• No online quotes for exotic pets
    • Limited plans for older pets

Bottom Line

Nationwide Pet Insurance covers dogs, cats and exotic animals, offering basic plans and comprehensive wellness coverage. Nationwide offers coverage to pets of any age, though plans are limited for older animals.

Top Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I adopted a kitten in June of 2017 and purchased the Whole Pet with Wellness plan for him. ... It turned out my cat was cryptorchid and had to undergo surgery. ... I spent almost ...

Verified

I have had Nationwide Pet Insurance for my two beagles for 8+ years. Nationwide reimbursed the majority of expenses associated with my Charlie’s splenectomy, cancer and associated...

How does Nationwide Pet Insurance work?

Nationwide acquired VPI Pet Insurance, also called VPI, in 2014. For pet owners whose pets need medical care, Nationwide Pet Insurance can help save thousands of dollars through reimbursement of veterinarian bills.

Request a quote online through Nationwide’s secure site or by phone. To get started, provide your ZIP code and your pet’s name, age and breed. Nationwide Pet Insurance then provides a quote for review. There is a 14-day waiting period for coverage after making your first payment.

Nationwide Pet Insurance plans

Nationwide Pet Insurance offers four major plans for cats and dogs: Major Medical, Major Medical with Wellness, Whole Pet and Whole Pet with Wellness. Each plan includes nose-to-tail coverage, though conditions vary based on the plan type selected. All of these plans have a fixed deductible of $250.

Major Medical
    The most economical of Nationwide’s pet insurance plans, Major Medical covers basic accidents and illnesses and allows pet owners to use any veterinarian or hospital they like. The annual deductible for this plan is fixed at $250, and annual benefits are predefined depending on the condition. The Major Medical plan is not always available to older pets.
    Major Medical with Wellness
    A step up from the Major Medical plan, Nationwide’s Major Medical with Wellness plan also includes wellness exams, vaccinations, bloodwork and illness prevention. As with the Major Medical plan, the annual deductible is $250, and annual benefit limits depend on the condition. This plan is not always available to older pets.
    Whole Pet
    An option for older pets, Nationwide’s Whole Pet plan includes all the benefits of the Major Medical plan but adds some dental, behavioral, prescription and holistic treatment coverage. The annual deductible is fixed at $250 with $10,000 total annual benefits.
    Whole Pet with Wellness
    Nationwide’s most comprehensive and most customizable policy, Whole Pet with Wellness has a wide range of coverage. While the annual deductible is set at $250 and annual benefits are unlimited, pet owners have the option to adjust their reimbursement level from 90% to 70% or 50%. A lower reimbursement percentage lowers the cost of this plan.

Note that the above plans may not be available for exotic pets. Nationwide requires owners of birds, reptiles, rodents and other exotic pets to call a Nationwide Pet Insurance customer service representative to receive information about plans, coverage and costs.

Nationwide Pet Insurance coverage

Nationwide Pet Insurance covers accidents and illnesses and can also include preventive medicine, dental care, spaying, neutering and behavioral treatments. Nationwide’s most comprehensive plan, Whole Pet with Wellness, is the most expensive, but it also provides maximum benefits for pets of all types.

Compare coverage of Nationwide’s pet insurance plans:

Major MedicalMM + WellnessWhole PetWP + Wellness
    Major Medical
    MM + Wellness
    Whole Pet
    MP + Wellness

While each Nationwide Pet Insurance policy type has its advantages, many pet owners opt for the Major Medical with Wellness or Whole Pet with Wellness plan so their pets are fully covered.

Currently, Nationwide Pet Insurance does not cover:

• Preexisting conditions
    • Grooming, including nail trims and shampoos
    • Expenses not directly related to the veterinary bill, like credit card fees
    • Certain plan restrictions based on specific policy type

Nationwide Pet Insurance defines preexisting conditions as injuries or illnesses that occurred before coverage started. This exclusion includes some hereditary conditions.

At Nationwide Pet Insurance, dogs and cats won’t be dropped from coverage based on their age or the number of claims filed.

How much does Nationwide Pet Insurance cost?

Nationwide Pet Insurance quotes vary depending on the plan you choose, but Nationwide dog insurance costs between $35 and $60 per month for most breeds, while cat insurance costs between $13 and $46. For dogs and cats, customers get a free quote online, but if you’re looking into Nationwide’s exotic pet insurance, you need to call for a quote.

Nationwide Pet Insurance's prices vary based on the breed and age of your pet. If you’re looking for a low-cost plan, consider choosing one with a variable reimbursement percentage. Unlike most pet insurance providers, Nationwide Pet Insurance offers reimbursement percentages as low as 50%, which lets customers pay more out of pocket for a vet bill but less in their monthly premiums.

Discounts are available to policyholders who enroll two or more pets or those who are already members of Nationwide.

Nationwide Pet Insurance FAQ

Does Nationwide Pet Insurance cover spaying?
    Yes, the Whole Pet with Wellness plans offers coverage for spaying or neutering. The Whole Pet, Major Medical and the Major Medical with Wellness plans do not cover this service for any pet.
    Does Nationwide Pet Insurance cover emergency visits?
    Depending on the condition that needs treatment, some Nationwide Pet Insurance plans do cover emergency visits, which includes accidents and illnesses. Call a Nationwide customer service representative for more information.
    Does Nationwide Pet Insurance cover dental cleanings?
    The Whole Pet and Whole Pet with Wellness plans cover dental cleanings, but not all of Nationwide’s pet insurance plans do.
    Where can I find a Nationwide Pet Insurance claim form?
    To file a Nationwide Pet Insurance claim, policyholders visit the website or the VitusVet app. On the website, policyholders can download and complete the form and then return it and any paid invoices via email, fax or mail.

Is Nationwide Pet Insurance good?

Nationwide offers affordable pet insurance for dogs, cats and exotic animals. Although coverage is available for older animals, plans may be limited and premiums may be high. If you already have a policy with Nationwide or are looking to insure multiple pets, expect to receive discounts.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

They will make everything possible to avoid paying you. My dog is 2 yrs old and they keep asking for "Soap" notes even there are no more notes nor history. I just cancelled this service. Waste of money.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

This insurance company for pets is just a money making business. For my puppy not even one year old they reject every claim as pre existing condition. Just now I called them and canceled. Don’t fall for it and don’t waste your money and time. Just spend nicely for your pets without these unnecessary tensions.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

A complete scam. They find every reason not to cover your claims. Legalese and fine print to ensure you cannot get the coverage you were promised and pay for every month. They are a total scam and never reimburse.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

I spend $87/mo on a comprehensive wellness plan that rejects more than what it covers. My dog had diarrhea once before I started my plan which the vet ended up not figuring out what caused it & diagnosed it “gastroenteritis” as an umbrella diagnosis. I later learned after switching my dog’s food she was allergic to chicken and then 5 months go by with no diarrhea or issues. When I brought my dog to my parents (9 hr trip), she wasn’t really eating her food while we are there. She wasn’t having diarrhea then, but I was concerned about her not eating so I brought her to the vet. The vet did several tests - blood work to check kidneys, xray to make sure there wasn’t a foreign body, etc. The vet admitted to not knowing why she wasn’t eating because the test results were inconclusive and I believe did the umbrella diagnosis as gastroenteritis.

When I got my dog back home to my place, she resumed eating and was totally normal. I called my usual vet and she said dogs often won’t eat when traveling and that’s totally normal. I get my $400 claim letter in the mail I filed from that visit and find out it was denied because gastroenteritis is a “pre-existing” condition. I was then told that even 4 years from now if my dog had diarrhea it wouldn’t be covered by insurance because of that condition.

Seriously? How many times do humans get diarrhea because they just ate something that upset their stomach? That doesn’t mean it’s a preexisting condition. My dog doesn’t have diarrhea frequently & didn’t for 5 months in between vet visits, so how is this a pre-existing condition? Save yourself the headache and just put aside money into savings each month to cover costs of vet bills or find another pet insurance that won’t find every reason not to pay claims. I’m canceling with Nationwide - complete waste of $87/mo.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

I purchased a policy for my 2 year old dog last year. I went with the higher option which cost me about 68.00 a month. I just received my renewal for this year - no claims - no changes - and it went up on 30.00 a month. I called customer service and their explanation was because of market changes. I said, "You're charging me more because others filed claims?" They get you in the door with a promised price then bait and switch. Needless to say, I cancelled my plan. Typical insurance - such a scam!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

Started years ago when my puppy had disc disease and they refused to pay for surgery because they said it was a pre-existing foreign body condition. Now she is old and they won’t pay for her heart disease. Terrible company!!! They have low max amount I didn’t even know about.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Updated on 08/17/2021: I retracted my negative reviews because Nationwide had agreed to a reimbursement--after several weeks providing all of my dog's medical history, which showed no preexisting conditions. I'm glad Nationwide did the right thing.

Original Review: Nationwide Insurance is a scam! Please don't waste your money thinking that your pet is covered under their insurance. They will try every possible way not to pay you. They swindled out of paying for my corgi surgery, saying that it was pre-existing--even when I have submitted my dogs' medical history that showed my dog did not have any illnesses until recently. I should have stayed with precious pet insurance. It was a mistake that will cost my dog's life. If you love your pet, then don't use Nationwide. I will never use them again and continue to spread Nationwide insurance scam to everyone I know until they change their deceitful business practices.

Original review: July 15, 2021

My experience with Nationwide Pet Insurance has been pure hell. With the exception of one pet care representative who has been AMAZING, everything else has been insanely stressful and emotionally draining. I know what a “pre-existing condition” is. Well aware. Yet when a false condition was placed on my puppy’s account any time I called to speak with someone helpful all I ever got was 45 explanations of the definition of a preexisting condition. Talk about frustrating! I even had one of their customer service reps tell me to file a formal complaint through the state of MI. They always want your medical records yet don’t seem to care what they say. I’ve had multiple vets write very specific things that are then twisted into something else and “oops sorry that’s part of a preexisting condition” type letters start rolling in.

For simple things such as flea and tick medicine this company is fine. It’s when you actually end up having an issue is when they totally screw you over and even if you find someone helpful to help re-submit the denied claims, they don’t seem to take the fax from the owner or veterinarian into consideration just what they want to interpret from the medical records. It’s just been a very frustrating, emotionally draining, and expensive two years with a puppy and nationwide has done nothing to make it easier.

I would also highly recommend always reviewing your claims when they are denied as I have had multiple instances where something is denied and I call about it and question it and I get told “oh that was a mistake, that should not have been denied“ so I guess always double check even though you’re supposed to be able to trust that they are doing their job! Just a very frustrated customer who is unfortunately stuck with this company now as if we were to cancel and go with any other company everything in their current medical records would become a pre-existing condition. Hopefully it will get better but I try not to get my hopes up anymore.

Original review: July 13, 2021

Nationwide is horrible pet insurance. I have 4 cats. All are healthy. Take cat 1 to the vet for a wellness exam and comprehensive checkup including blood pressure reading and blood work. Nationwide covered. Take cat 2 and 3 to the same vet for the exact same exam. Nationwide requests additional medical records and is dragging feet. Submitted records and communication is poor. Filed a complaint with state insurance commission. It is unbelievable coverage for simply wellness exam is not covered specifically when they say they will coverage 50% of costs past the 250 deductible.

Original review: July 12, 2021

My cat is fully vaccinated and updated. Unfortunately, he had a urinary passing issue last year for one day. Since it was on Sunday, I had to take him to emergency because his vet wasn't available on the weekend. After that, I took him to his vet, and he was wonderful. I did purchase Nationwide Insurance this year, and they gave my pre-existing cat conditions for his urinary. I told them that my cat didn't have this problem since last year, and it was only once. His documents proved that. They asked me to submit a claim for reviewing my cat documents. After I submitted all his papers, and after two months, they send a letter that they removed his pre-existing condition. Instead, they added two other pre-existing conditions for Obesity and Murmur because it was under his description when I took him to the emergency.

Nationwide even didn't care that my vet cat documents showed my cat is completely healthy with no issue. They just tried to put you in the process of sending a request for reviewing process and keep charging you for your pet insurance. If I knew that this company doesn't care about reality and customer time and service, I wouldn't purchase the insurance for my cats. So, to be short, I canceled my two cats' insurance too. Not wasting my time and money with this company.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Pet Insurance partner.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Company Information