Nationwide Pet Insurance

Compare Pet Insurance Providers

Research top Pet Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Please do not waste your money getting pet insurance through Nationwide. I took my cat to Med Vet a few months after she was referred by our regular vet due to hyperextension. She had suddenly started walking on her flat feet. Her policy went into effect on 12/1 and she was seen at Med Vet on 12/5. I submitted the claim. Was told I needed to send her medical history. I have only had her for a little over a year and she had seen the vet 2xs prior to this trip. One for her skin, the other she was dehydrated and hospitalized due to that. So why they denied a claim for something that was sudden and not diagnosed prior to her policy going to effect is beyond me. I think they will take every vet visit and spin it to be pre-existing.

Rather than pay money for a bogus insurance I would much rather invest that money back into my CareCredit card. I have 4 pets insured with them, but that will certainly come to an end. Please look into other options. I wish I would have done research prior. My company offers this and I also hope to encourage them to look into contracting with another company. Very sad... and shameful!!

In July 2016 we rescued a dog with no medical conditions from the shelter. In Sept 2016 He got into some cupcakes so we took him in to get checked out because he had some diarrhea and was scratching at his ears. They checked for mites and said he had dry skin but still got a healthy pet check up with no issues. In Dec 2016 we decided to get Nationwide Pet Insurance just in case.

After getting the policy I took my dog in because he was scratching at his ears. He was prescribed medication for an ear infection and possible allergies. He was put on a special allergy food for 3 months to wean out food allergies and given allergy medicine and an ear medication. He is still itching and still on his food diet however nationwide declined all claims because they said he was previously treated for allergies when he was not. We still do not know what my pet is itching from so even though the diagnosis is still not found or treated they said they will not cover anything because he was seen before we had insurance for itching.

I'm sorry but that is ridiculous. If I went into the doctors because I had a rash and was itching and then a month later I went in because I got bit and was itching.. you are telling me you are going to treat me the same because it was an itch. No! The symptoms may be the same but the issue is not. Nationwide just groups everything together so they basically will not cover anything. So I called to get confirmation for my denied claims which I got hung up on the first time and the second time the lady was rude saying to cancel if I felt they don't cover anything but I couldn't cancel with her, it needed to be in writing. Also at the beginning of the call you can stay on the line to do a survey. She refused to hang up so I could not do the survey.

I enrolled in Nationwide (then VPI) when I adopted my beagle 9 years ago; she's healthy and has only had wellness visits, for which I was reimbursed some percentage. In December 2016, she had surgery (at age 10, her first surgery) to remove a perianal adenoma -- Nationwide reimbursed me $480 on a $1,487 bill. I'm stunned. Very disappointed.

My cat is 9 years old, and she's always been healthy. I decided to get her pet insurance last November. When the insurance was deemed in force, I took her to the vet to check out fur loss. I just noticed it--it wasn't as if my pet was mangy or bald, but I love my cat and always get care when I feel it is needed. The vet was someone we hadn't seen before, and my cat hates the carrier--but the mobile vet couldn't see us for a few more weeks. Unfortunately, my cat's blood glucose level was elevated because she screamed and cried for more than a half hour in the car! She really doesn't like carriers and the mobile vet and I have discussed this in the past.

The brick and mortar office vet agreed that she was stressed out and that it didn't mean diabetes. Soon thereafter, the mobile vet came to check out my cat and she agreed (with the other vet) that the symptoms looked like a food allergy. I'd learned my mom was feeding kitty table scraps and that triggered an allergy. Kitty hadn't had fish in her life and now she was getting a bit of tuna sometimes! Both vets said to limit food to the nice canned variety she'd eaten since kittenhood. Both vets checked blood and urine again for diabetes. There was none. She was also checked for hyperthyroidism, and that was also negative. I started bathing kitty once a week and soon her fur began to regrow.

In the interim, I submitted claims to Nationwide. They asked for all medical records within the lookback period and got them right away. The mobile veterinarian mentioned an earlier vet we'd gone to (not within the lookback period) in her notes and soon Nationwide asked for a "gap" letter because, as noted, I provided everything necessary to review and approve the claims submitted. I'm still receiving letters that ask for her medical records which, at this point, are probably the records from the vet that falls outside of the lookback period. I explained why we didn't see the veterinarian any longer. The practice was horribly expensive--USD 1,000 for a dental, for instance.

I purchased the premium level insurance for my pet, about USD 90/month. At this point, I realize I'm not going to get reimbursed because this company believes my pet has a "pre-existing" condition--and she doesn't. They're hoping to find something to hang their hat on. I demanded a full return of my premiums because I've done everything required to get the claims processed and paid.

Even after I demanded my money back, I received an email saying "We are sorry to hear you are canceling your policy. This message confirms we have received your written request to cancel ** policy. No further action will be required on your behalf. The cancellation endorsement will be mailed to you shortly. Please allow for standard mailing time.

"Any unearned premium will be refunded on a prorated basis and credited to your account on file within 24-48 hours minus installment fees. Please note the length of time it takes for your refund to post to your account is dependent on your financial institution. Once you cancel a policy, any conditions which occurred during the policy may be considered pre-existing. If you elect to apply for a policy in the future and are eligible for enrollment, these conditions will be excluded from future coverage. We are contacting your vet to secure the necessary medical records to complete the review of your claims. Once we have received these documents we will conclude the review process. You will see the completed status online using your online portal account. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you."

Please don't give your hard-earned money to Nationwide. I agree with most of the other reviewers of Nationwide: this is a company in the business to take premiums. They really don't want to pay policyholders if it's possible to claim the pet had a pre-existing illness, for instance. My cat didn't and doesn't. I paid two months in advance plus monthly premiums. Since there is a USD 250 deductible, we'd be much better off to pay the vet as needed. Forget about wellness claims and the like. Nationwide operates in bad faith. By the way, I attempted to upload receipts and such to your site...

I was looking for pet insurance after my dog had swallowed a rock and had to have surgery. After deciding to go with Nationwide looking at the plans and coverage I called and got the pet insurance going. A few days later I received a letter now saying that even though she was clear of any rocks that is now pre-existing and will not be covered. They could have told me that when I explained the situation to them. This company is not worth the effort if anyone is looking for insurance. The bad thing is I was required to pick a star and there should be a negative star.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

I have been reading the reviews and I have to tell you I have had only great experiences with this insurance. I started with VPI (veterinary pet insurance) when my puppy was 4 months old and they changed to Nationwide sometime back. (My dog is now 2). I have to file 5 or 6 claims in this amount of time and I have ALWAYS been reimbursed! I have met my deductible (easy to do on one visit alone!) and the reimbursement in my last 3 visits has been 100% within 2-3 weeks. I am hoping this letter will not jinx me, but so far so good! I actually have no complaints!

Nationwide is an insurance company. Just like all insurance companies, their job is to find reasons to deny claims. We had a premium policy. When I got my puppy, she had Giardia. It was resolved immediately. Then we got pet insurance and of course told them of the Giardia incident. Since then, any stomach or intestinal issue is denied and called "pre-existing". For example, when she was spayed, she had a bad stomach reaction to the vet medications. I took her back to the vet and had her treated. I submitted a letter from my vet explaining that the diarrhea and vomiting was a result of the anesthetics. The claim was still rejected. There have been other denials from them and realize it is time to move to another carrier.

I see online today that Nationwide claims it pays 90% of vet bills. In reality, it is 90% of COVERED vet bills. Much of what your vet will charge will be deemed uncovered or will exceed the allowed amounts which are very small amounts for serious medical issues. After paying the premiums for 10 plus years, I had a large claim (about $6,000). I initially received reimbursement of about 1/4 of the claim amount, and after repeated requests, I was able to get about 50%, but no more. Do your research before you buy pet insurance. You may be better off putting the premium amount in a personal pet account at your bank.

I am a breeder of Havanese dogs. I would say I am a very good breeder and have a pretty excellent standing with my clientele. One thing I do is I cover all my dogs with Nationwide Pet Insurance... yes, even my newborn puppies. This is quite costly but gives me peace of mind. In the beginning before WholePet was offered, I loved VPI and the major medical. Claims were paid on time. Then I switched all 6 of my dogs to WholePet. My first & oldest dog (Grace~age 7) was less than 2 weeks away from switching to WholePet from Major Medical when she came down with an umbilical hernia. Nationwide claimed that this was a congenital/hereditary issue. I fought it and said, no way. There are like 7 types of hernia's and this could have been congenital in a newborn pup but certainly not a 7 year old. This was due to her straining to jump on our high bed.

So after many, many days they write me back and say... "You are correct! This is not a congenital situation!" I was so excited to read this!! But then they go on to say, "but it is a preexisting condition... this was most certainly caused by a spay from 5 years ago!!" My vet said that this could have been cause by several things maybe a spay not quite closed, but also could have been due to fatty pockets from weight gain that opened up her stomach wall. Nationwide refused to cover it calling is 'pre-existing'. So $498.00 out of my pocket!! THEN I got smart and decided to cover my pups before they arrived to me. I got a pup from Europe (this is common for me) and his WholePet with wellness kicked in on the 14th of September. I took him in on the 16th for booster vaccines on the 16th. He was fine... doing well.

On the 27th he had diarrhea really bad and it turned out that he had Giardia. Giardia has a 10 day onset. He had already been covered for 14 days! He was deemed healthy on the 16th got sick and was taken in on the 27th for meds for his diarrhea and guess what?? Denied!! I was told his parasite was preexisting! How can they prove that?? I'm still fighting this claim but because Malachi has been to the vet like 4 times after that and it's been almost 50 days since I began the process of fighting them. I am sure they won't pay. I ran into this site and saw all the complaints of people dealing with what I'm dealing with~Pre Existing Conditions. I told the manager of Nationwide "You people can call ANYTHING a pre existing condition. This is just another way of saying you won't pay the claim."

This WholePet with Wellness would be an excellent insurance if they actually covered what it claims but it doesn't. If you've seen the movie The Rainmaker it's about an Insurance company that gets poor people to buy their insurance and they have a scam where they deny ALL claims because they know these people can't afford to hire a lawyer. After a few times of fighting the claims, most people give up and that's what these companies count on but I am fighting mine still. It's the point!! Someone wrote in on another site and said that she has been in touch with her State Department of Insurance. That's what I'm doing tomorrow. I am presently working on changing Insurance companies for my young dogs. Grace will have to remain with Nationwide due to her age but many of my 2016 clientele plan on switching and I will no longer refer Nationwide to my new clients in 2017.

After researching pet insurance companies, I went with Nationwide after a friend suggested them and showed proof of them paying for her dogs care. Unfortunately, my dog tore his ACL a few weeks later and I submitted a claim. He had no prior injuries (this was his first time ever being injured) and this should be an easy claim.

He had his surgery and it has now been TEN WEEKS. He is fully recovered and I still DO NOT HAVE REIMBURSEMENT. They received my claim and waited a full 30 days and denied me. I called and found out the reason I was denied was due to them not having his vaccination record. Had I not called, I would have never known. So I finally get these and I send them but they are I the wrong format. No call again. So I call to find that the hold up is that they can't open the image - remember they never called me to tell me.

I had to have my claim taken to a manager to explain the situation. They finally received my dog's vaccination record - WHY NOT ASK FOR THIS IN THE INITIAL SIGN UP SINCE IT'S NECESSARY!? Now I'm waiting again for 30 days for my approval (or probably denial because I'm sure they need something else). I'm accumulating interest on my credit card since obviously I got insurance due to the fact that I don't have $4000.00 laying around for injuries for my dog. This company is unorganized, they don't mind putting you off until the last minute, and I still haven't received payout. I will be going with a different company for my younger dog.

They are terrible. Do NOT get this insurance. They reviewed my pet records and then sold me the insurance with no pre-existing issues despite having access to everything. Now that I actually need the insurance and require a bunch of tests they have decided to add an addendum to the policy saying all gastro issues are void for coverage. The instances in the past with gastro issues have been directly related to a puppy eating something he should not have. The vet even called them to confirm that situation and let them know the issues now are unrelated and new. They disregarded the vet's testimony and won't cover the cost of the tests. Nationwide is garbage. They are terrible cheats and scam artists. Do not consider them. Do not call them. They are terrible. They abandoned me at the moment my dog needed it.

I have been paying for this insurance for several years, for my rescue cat. I am convinced now that Nationwide discriminates against rescue animals, as the only bill we were ever partially reimbursed for was when he fell out of a second story window and was injured. They have continually denied his health issue claims, and now I am beside myself. My boy has developed chronic bronchitis/asthma, and needs expensive medications for life now. I have a lot of insurance for a lot of different things, and have never had an issue anywhere near the ones I've had with Nationwide. They're scammers and will find any way not to help our pets by paying the bills they promise to pay when they take our money every month.

Because of this diagnosis, I can't go to any other pet insurance company, because now it is officially a pre-existing condition, which occurred on Nationwide's watch. I wish it were appropriate to use foul language in these forums, because I have a few choice words for Nationwide, but I'll hold my tongue. If you're thinking about pet insurance - don't. It's not worth it.

I never write reviews but had to in this case. My vet suggested I get insurance for both of my pets as a safeguard. When I typed in (pet insurance) in google, NATIONWIDE came up first. I read into it, and it appeared to be a great company. WOW WAS I WRONG! I placed a claim with Nationwide for my dog Nino's teeth cleaning. Unfortunately, my poor dog needed teeth pulled and it's been 4 months and they refuse to pay the claim. I've been calling them at least once a week and getting the runaround. Each week it's an additional piece of information that is needed, and another 30 days. I have been waiting since July 22, 2016 for a refund, but it is apparent that I am not getting one. Please DO NOT GET INSURANCE WITH NATIONWIDE. You will be frustrated and stressed by the people on the phone.

I have been paying into Nationwide/VPI pet insurance for almost 3 years - to date, I have received a $52 reimbursement for one bill. My dog is very healthy and recently, she had to have a mass on her eye biopsied - The bill totaled $1480. Just got the explanation of benefits back and they have managed to justify not paying us anything back due to the "exclusions" sections - BEWARE! They have this section for the sole purpose of "excluding" payment for any issue if they want.

I knew they were going to pull this. I would have been much better off putting the $30/month into my savings account - at least then I could have reimbursed myself for some of the money I had to shell out for my pet's healthcare. Drop these guys. They are out to take your money, just like every other insurance company.

I had fill out a pet claim and they said that I had to fill another one because the name on the claim was Snowflake instead of Snowny. I was upset with how long my claim was taking. The customer service was poor and she was not understanding at all. I wish we had more choices for exotic pets.

I purchased this pet insurance a year ago; Major Medical AND Pet Wellness Plan ($44.00 biweekly). Our family just got a new puppy and we wanted to make sure we didn't get caught off guard with high vet bills. You can imagine my surprise to discover that despite this coverage, Nationwide only paid $18.10 for a $617.00 procedure (spaying). Further, the other claims submitted to them during the last 12 months went towards my deductible and the amount Nationwide paid back to me was minimal. Purchasing this insurance was a mistake. Take a closer look before purchasing this insurance... I wish I did prior to signing up for it.

If I could give zero stars I would. Please do not trust these people. This company is a complete scam. I had VPI for years then Nationwide and he never had anything more than routine vet visits. On his yearly visit I was told he had a slower than normal heartbeat and that they wanted to do an EKG to rule out any heart problems. The EKG came back with a very minor level one heart block which athletic dogs and/or people commonly have.

I continued on with testing to see if anything underlying was causing it and found out that he had hypothyroidism. I submitted the claims for the testing which added up to about $1200. They instantly denied my claim pending vet records. I immediately had the vet fax over records... A month went by. Nothing. I called and was told to wait another 30 days. I called again and told the same thing. This time I said absolutely not and then was told I was not getting any of it paid because it was a preexisting condition. WHAT?? I argued and argued to the point that I just got so upset and said to cancel my policy. These people are slime balls.

I have been waiting since JULY for a $50 refund. I've called several times with assurances that my problem would be handled. It never was. I've since stopped using Nationwide Pet Insurance. BTW, I never had this issue when they were VPI Pet Insurance. It must be a nationwide thing.

I have had Pet insurance for 8.5 years. I work with dental insurance and know what to look for and yearly benefits and coding. Even with all this knowledge, it appears that the Major Medical Plan I thought I had was on a hidden other plan location called medical plan. This plan cost me more than the major medical and covers less-significantly.

For all the dog owners diagnosed with Lymphoma, this is what you need to do to get any benefits. The lymphoma is not official until you get the test results. Any medications; X-rays; blood tests must be coded as anemia; infection; or something else. Save the Lymphoma codes for when the test results come back. You will get $600 yearly for Lymphoma and $ 1000.00 for chemotherapy. Not the $4600 they advertise on the website. Any issues during treatment must be coded as unrelated to Lymphoma.

I will be writing to the Illinois department of Insurance to file a complaint. This site is a good start. We are all intelligent people and the complaints are all legitimate. I will continue to find any way possible to find the codes. All Bulldog/boxer owners that are prone to Lymphoma- get a major medical plan and not the bait and switch plan offered on Nationwide. Better yet find another company-otherwise you will be stuck with pre-existing condition.

First Nationwide customer service representatives are very professional and helpful. However, I have been waiting over 4 months for my claim. They asked for medical records and at first denied my claim saying my dog's surgery happen in 2007, when the claim was clearly for May 2016. I emailed Nationwide and called California Insurance Bureau to complain. My claim was magically under review again. Received 3 letters so far, they need 30 more days. Still waiting and no payment. To be continued...

Over the past year I've spent close to $1000 on my dog, for small illnesses (ear infection, cyst, etc) and NONE of this was covered by this insurance, and I was on the HIGHEST level plan (so paying ridiculous amounts for this coverage). The intention of having insurance is to offset the cost of simple AND major expenses with a pet. This was by far the worst decision I have made surrounding my dog, who is FAMILY and I have never been so disgusted by the blatancy of this company to be purely providing Pet Insurance to make millions of dollars off of caring and dedicated pet owners. Shame on Nationwide for taking advantage of responsible pet owners.

We have had Nationwide Pet Insurance since Aug 08, 2016 and cancelled it on Sept 17, 2016 - only 40 days later! Why? Because they immediately placed 3 exclusions on our new policy - only ONE exclusion was correct. We called on Aug 06 and spoke with Cynthia. She told us to have our Vet call their Vet and explain that Ralphie does not and never did suffer from Intervertebral Disc Disease! Our Vet spoke with their Vet on Aug 09, 2016. Review would take less than 30 days per Cynthia so we called on Aug 30 and told it could take up to 30 days and would be finalized on Fri Sep 09.

So on Sat Sep10 I called and spoke with Derick. He explained the review should have been complete by now but assured me that it would be finalized by next Friday - the 16th! I called on Sat the 17th and Justine told me it should be finalized by next Fri Sep 23! I cancelled the policy and would have not even paid a penny for it to start with had I known what I know now. If this is the way they handle ANYTHING - I will NEVER entertain the thought of using Nationwide for ANY TYPE of INSURANCE.

When I prepaid my pet insurance for the whole year, my pet was perfectly healthy, all medical records were sent to the insurance company as they requested it in order to pay for my claims and every time I call to wonder about my claims, they keep on telling me that is taking longer than expected. First they told me 30 days, now they tell me 45 days and nothing happens. I paid the whole year in advance and they just don't want to take any responsibility for the claims they get in order to pay the consumer back. Very bad insurance company. I will follow legal procedures against them if no payment is received on my claims.

Like many of the prior loving pet owners who had endure nothing but hardship with Nationwide Insurance I too I am disgusted with the runaround, lack of follow-up, lack of true and transparent information just to get back a simple blood test insurance reimbursement. After One year with them and 3 months they still denied my reimbursement in spite of my Vet's file and written documentations. First they stated that if when my Vet re-submitted the claim once again (4 times) that their vet will review and if was to be declined that they will reimburse a "%" of 1 year and 3 month payments.

After 2 months of waiting for such review Once again they decline and this time they said that even if I cancelled I was not entitled for any reimbursement! Wow talk about Pet companies getting as smart and opportunistic like Human insurances in premiums and Scamming poor caring Individual!! Someone from Government needs to audit this company and others as well taking advantage of loving hard working owners who only have the best interest for their pets.

My dog was perfectly healthy when I signed up for the major medical policy with a $14K annual benefit. Last year, she came down with some health problems that required some significant testing to diagnose. A few other problems earlier this year, and so far, Nationwide has only paid $2,716 out of $7,113 total. I have paid almost that much in monthly premiums over the last 5 years, meaning I would have been just as well off putting that money in savings account and just setting it aside for emergencies. Their customer service is horrible. They will offer you no assistance throughout the process and they will make every excuse to not make good on the services you signed up. $14K annual benefit? Yeah right. It is flat out false and misleading advertising. They should be forced out of business.

VPI was taken over by Nationwide and I absolutely recommend that you find another insurance company. I have had nothing but problems. They simply do not want to pay and will manufacture any excuse no matter how unreasonable. They paid $20 on a claim of $200. The deductibles are horrible and they don't seem to understand pet insurance and illnesses. They cannot be trusted and are totally unreasonable. This is the worst experience I have ever had with an insurance company in my entire life. I am getting rid of them ASAP.

My dog sophie was signed up at 10 weeks old, no pre-existing conditions. Her FIRST claim was this year. She wasn't acting right and the rule outs were infection vs cancer vs other. This visit was covered. The next day she was still sick so they did a lymph node aspirate. They only gave us 10% coverage because they said it wasn't necessary. That is the ONLY way to diagnose this condition, as a certified vet tech, I would know. My dog was euthanized because it progressed so quickly, in a week after the diagnosis she was ataxic. This insurance company was less than helpful, extremely uncaring, very nit picky, avoided questions we asked regarding this claim, and overall disappointed. We've had VPI for 1 years and used it minimally. They couldn't give us full reimbursement for my now deceased dog. They lost a customer.

I am a responsible pet owner and a loyal customer who has had pet insurance through VPI which is now Nationwide for over ten years. I have been fortunate to have a healthy dog, so I have not had to make many claims for my other dog. I recently bought a new purebred AKC registered Shiba Inu puppy. The day I brought my puppy home on June 17, 2016, at eight weeks old, I set up a new policy with Nationwide since I know how expensive a new puppy can be.

I was informed by the Nationwide representative I spoke with that I had a $250 deductible, and after that I would receive 90% reimbursement for any vet visits after my deductible was met. I have taken my puppy to the vet several times and have more than met my deductible, yet I have received no reimbursements for Any of my claims.

I took my puppy, Max, to the vet for itchy skin as well as his puppy vaccines on the day his policy went into effect on 7/1/16. After that date his skin worsened and I took him to the Animal Dermatology Clinic to see if they could better diagnosis his skin issue. I have been informed that these claims are under review since they think my puppy's skin issue could be a pre-existing condition. I do not understand how his skin issues could be pre-existing if I just got the puppy at eight weeks old, and I bought the pet insurance the day I brought him home.

When I spoke with Derrick **, a supervisor at Nationwide Pet Insurance, on Wednesday, August 24th, he tried to convince me it is a pre-existing condition if it occurred twelve months prior to the effective date of 7/1/16. How could it be a pre-existing condition, if he wasn't even born yet? I feel that Nationwide is trying to dodge their responsibility to reimburse me the 90% I am owed for the claims I have made.

From what I have read, Nationwide claims they stand above their competition for exceptional customer service. If this statement is true, then why is Nationwide shirking their responsibilities to make good on my pet insurance policy and not following through with the 90% reimbursement I was promised when I signed up?

Furthermore, Derrick ** informed me that I would not be reimbursed for ANY of my claims for my puppy, Max, until these claims involving his skin issue has been resolved. What does one claim have to do with another? I was never informed of this when I took out the policy. Additionally, my vet has informed me that they have had to fax my claims several times and Nationwide has not recognized any of these faxes.

I verified the fax number with Derrick **. He had no reason as to why the faxed claims have not been received. This is very poor customer service and bad business practices not to acknowledge faxes that have been sent through several times. This is yet another tactic Nationwide is using to be deceptive and not pay the money they owe me. These devious business practices are unacceptable!

I feel I was mislead to believe my puppy, Max, would have superior coverage with the Nationwide pet insurance policy. I do not feel I have been treated as a valued, loyal customer, and I am extremely disappointed with how these claims have been handled. I believe Nationwide's actions are devious and dishonest. I would like Nationwide to make right this wrong and provide the exceptional customer service they claim to have. Nationwide needs to stop stalling this process and reimburse me the 90% I am owed for any vet visits that exceed my $250 deductible.

Updated on 09/11/2016: I am writing this letter to update you of the claims disagreement between myself and Nationwide regarding my puppy, Max. As I anticipated Nationwide is not covering my claims and has added the following exclusions which are incorrect to Max's policy: Rhinitis, Sinusitis, Canine Upper Respiratory Infection, Dermatopathy, and Gastroenteritis. I disagree with these exclusions and believe them to be excessive. My veterinarian at Estrella Veterinarian Hospital, Julie **, contacted Nationwide's Vet Services Department to dispute these exclusions. Nationwide did not value Julie's input or expertise regarding the misinformation included in Max's policy as pre-existing conditions.

To give you a little background on Max, he was transported from Missouri. This experience was quite stressful for him, being taken from his mother and flying over 6 hours to his new home. When I received him, he had a scratch on his head that Nationwide is saying is the Dermatopathy. I have a note from the breeder saying Max was playing rough with one of his siblings, and that was why he had the scratch on his head. It was not a skin disease, it was rough-housing with his playmates.

On our first visit to Estrella, Max had been scratching. I just thought he had fleas. My vet, Julie **, also informed me that a change in environment can cause itching. A flea medicine was prescribed. Since when are having fleas considered Dermatopathy? During our visit, I was asked if he had sneezed. I said, "Yes, maybe once or twice." I think I need to vacuum under my bed. Is sneezing a couple times grounds for diagnosing a pre-existing condition of Rhinitis, Sinusitis and Canine Upper Respiratory Infection. If he indeed had all these pre-existing conditions, wouldn't medication have been prescribed? These exclusions don't make sense. Even my veterinarian has refuted these exclusions as pre-existing conditions.

The Gastroenteritis is another ridiculous exclusion. Having gone through the trauma of traveling across country as a puppy, having diarrhea upon arrival would not be considered uncommon. Are there any puppies that don't have diarrhea in their first few weeks of adjusting to their new home? I know my other two dogs also experienced stress and anxiety upon arrival and had diarrhea when I brought them home. Also his vet, Julie **, said a flea bite can give a puppy diarrhea. Additionally, for Gastroenteritis to be an exclusion on Max's policy is unreasonable, since I'm sure Max will have diarrhea at sometime again in his lifetime. Diarrhea is quite common for puppies and dogs.

I feel, and my vet, Julie **, agrees that these exclusions that are being said to be pre-existing conditions are gross exaggerations by Nationwide to avoid paying my claims. My veterinarian took the time out of her busy schedule to refute these exclusions, yet Nationwide disregarded her opinion and expertise. Since I opened Max's policy on 6/17/2016, the day Max came home, I have only received $139.68 in reimbursements. I have almost $1,000 in claims for Max since I opened his policy. I feel that at 8 weeks old, having these exclusion is unfair and an underhanded and dishonest tactic being used by Nationwide so they do not have to follow through reimbursing me the money I am owed.

Nationwide is the worst pet insurance. They don't want to pay any claims. They make you wait weeks for claim to be process and then send you a denial. If you have too many claims they will not allow you to upgrade your insurance policy. Nationwide is a ripoff. I would not recommend you to my worst enemy. I give you ZERO STARS!

When this was VPI they were wonderful, then Nationwide took over and what a nightmare it has been. Their favorite answer is DENIED....followed by "we need more information". I have gotten EVERYTHING they need, having gone to my veterinarian myself to get it....STILL "we need more information." This is a typical insurance company... Deny deny deny until the customer, who pays a buttload of money to have the insurance, gets frustrated and just pays out of pocket. My cat was recently diagnosed with very aggressive cancer and now I REALLY need Nationwide... I've been with them/VPI for YEARS and 3 cats... They are heartless and couldn't care less.

Compare Pet Insurance