1.24/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

301 Nationwide Pet Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I’ve had Nationwide Pet Insurance for months now or so I thought as I provided payment, credit card for them to take the Pet Insurance fee from. My cat got sick and is going to the vet today, I called Nationwide Pet Insurance because my plan comes with the 24-hour vet helpline and they informed me I’m not covered and haven’t been since June!! They said, "But your pet does need to be seen at a vet today!" I was transferred over to their customer support to make sure my policy is still valid and they said they cancelled it and sent me notice. I checked my emails and nothing. They have my phone number, NO calls from them. They will not reinstate my policy and sadly my deductible was already met back in May!

Other companies have the same credit card on file and have been charging it up until a week ago no problem. I even asked to speak to a manager and anyone higher and they all said they cannot reinstate. My card has not been full as it’s linked to my checking that has the money in it. So now I get to fork out all the bills and not get reimbursed anything from them. What a rip off and a scam!! Nationwide is NOT ON YOUR SIDE. They are not there when I need them as my pet is sick and I expected to have insurance coverage for my cat. Any person thinking of using this Insurance should just walk over to the closest toilet and flush your money down it as it would be the same results as paying for this insurance!! I hope my review stops someone else from going through the same thing!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Before Nationwide bought them out, they used to be VPI, and their customer service was stellar! The claims processing time was stellar. They cared about you and your pet. Claims took 30 days or less. Since Nationwide purchased them, the customer service has plummeted. I have claims that are still being processed 3 MONTHS later. Reps will tell you that they’re “backed up” and will “escalate” but that won’t result in anything. The company clearly hasn’t prepared for the onslaught on new customers and instead of being proactive and training new reps in advance, they were reactive and waited to train new reps until after all the new accounts started flowing in. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS! I’m currently researching other pet insurance providers to make a switch.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

We have had Nationwide for years. We received reimbursement for our older dog who died in Jan 2017. We received all claims submitted. We recently submitted $1200 in claims for our new dog and Nationwide rejected every one of them. You might as well shred your money instead of sending it to Nationwide. Management should be wearing orange DOJ jump suits. Do not use Nationwide.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

From their response to my claim: "We will not pay for diagnosis, medical management, or surgical correction of any endocrine tumors, both benign and malignant, or endocrine hyperplasias of any kind, or associated splenectomy." This is referring to adrenal disease which is the most common long term illness to affect ferrets. If they don't cover that, then what use are they? Nationwide has proven to me over and over again that they do not care about your pet's health and only want money.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I have had them through my job since Feb 2017 until 9.19.18. I submitted a claim from August (sent it to them the same day) and they just decided to deny my claim, stating that because I submitted one for an issue my pet had as well from LAST YEAR they deemed it as an on-going issue (of course, they didn't verify that with my vet). So I decided to cancel them altogether, considering I spend way more to have their fee taken out of my check, for them to have only reimbursed me $350. Do yourself a favor, get another company. Nationwide is not on your side.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

My aussie is 7 years old. She's been to the vet way more than any pet I owned so I decided to finally look into pet insurance. I've had pet insurance with Nationwide for almost a year now through my work benefits. So far I've really only had to submit a couple of claims. Unfortunately my aussie was diagnosed with IBD like a week before the waiting period expired so anything related to that (meds, additional testing, etc.) is "pre-existing". That's my fault though for not getting insurance sooner. Recently I noticed an ear infection. I took her to the vet who confirmed the ear infection & also noticed a foxtail in her foot (she had no symptoms, so that was weird). The total cost of the visit was outrageous in my opinion. Thankfully it was covered by Nationwide.

The annoying part of the claim process was that Nationwide delayed my claim decision multiple times for what seemed to be for no reason at all. The first reason was valid because they hadn't ever received my pets entire medical history (this is because I signed up through my work benefits). After I tracked all of her medical records down (we've moved a lot & been to a bunch of different vets) I thought it would be smooth, but they continued to delay. I did finally receive payment. If I remember correctly it took 2-3 months. I noticed that a lot of the negative reviews on here mention things that were not covered like dental, neuter, etc. Those are preventative procedures... it specifically states in your policy that preventative procedures are not covered. Although the claim process takes longer than I'd like, I'm still going to add my new puppy to my policy.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

They do everything they can to reject the claim. Everything is pre-existing condition. Unless it's an accident, they would not cover it. This company is worse than any home warranty companies. I will pull out all my annuities and insurance for my rental properties. Nationwide is in business to trick people and steal the premium.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I have a small breed dog, just turned three years old. No pre-existing conditions, relevant to a neuter or dental surgery!! This company would not reimburse my dog's neuter or dental surgeries. These procedures are expensive, but since I had new pet insurance through my employer with Nationwide- at an advertised 90% coverage rate, as advertised through Nationwide, I went ahead to have the procedures done! My young dog is healthy, he's young- no 'pre-existing' conditions 'relevant' to the procedures done as a rude, unprofessional customer service agent had mentioned!

Very disappointed. A total waste of money! I should have stayed with the Banfield Wellness plan, at least there I would have received a discount rate on these very expensive procedures. I ended my Nationwide coverage immediately, and went back to the Banfield Wellness plan. Nationwide does not cover expensive procedures. They use every way possible to not reimburse!! Months of waiting. Their tactics are misleading. Isn't this why good pet owners pay for health coverage for their pets?! We expect coverage for medical procedures to keep our pets healthy!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Our beloved little cat died after 20 years of mutual love and affection. For much of that time I had insurance through Nationwide and its predecessor company I assume they purchased. It seemed that every time our kitty needed the vet (not that often), Nationwide had a way to deny or greatly reduce the care to something like 20%. As an emergency doctor I have seen what bad coverage (i.e. Obamacare) has done to my patients. I have always sent in the doctor notes and added brief but complete medical justifications for my cat's care. No matter. I have had many futile discussions with "Customer Care" - it's not their fault, I am sure they are ashamed of what they have to say to deny claims. The most egregious part of this insurance scam is the limitations they place on each illness or category of illness so that if your pet is really ill, you are going to pay most all out of pocket.

Let me add again from my doctor viewpoint and as someone who was also a medical director for a healthplan, these kinds of "gotchas" in private human insurance would lead to repeated complaints to state regulators and would result in penalties and decreased business. But as we love our pets, it's difficult to cancel a policy (especially as they tell you that you have a "premium plan" that is no longer available and your beloved dog or cat is aging and how could you cancel now that you are surely going to need insurance?). I think a better alternative (if you can't find a fair plan) is to put aside money each month to self insure. In my opinion you will be far ahead over time. It would be a great idea to develop a cooperative, share plan for pet owners that could negotiate rates with veterinary practices. This is lacking now as Nationwide does not do this, they just shift cost to the pet owner and keep the premium.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

All the money that I put on that insurance out the 100% of the money they only cover 10% and they always loopholes. It’s a waste of money. Big name for nothing & if you cancel the insurance that doesn’t work. They keep the money. So yes, might as well just burn money. “Miss we only cover this vaccines, not those”. Hey, I need my cat to get his teeth cleaned. - "Miss the insurance only covers if the cat need dental surgery but we can only cover if the teeth need to be extracted". What? So my cat has to be in severe pain and about to lose his teeth in order for the insurance to cover only 25% and then I have to pay out of pocket??! This insurance is a scam. Worst experience ever. I regret the moment I decided to get this insurance. Banfield Hospital has a better insurance and they cover everything and it’s cheaper and it’s a PET HOSPITAL. This insurance company is a scam and so many loopholes...

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

It's amazing the games Nationwide Pet Insurance intentionally plays NOT to reimburse. They're a typical insurance company. When they deny a claim, they purposely provide vague, confusing denial codes. After I've spent an enormous amount of time with company representatives they'll eventually come clean with me why my claims have been either denied or reimbursed so little. When they finally tell me what they need, I'll resubmit the claim with the missing information and may, if lucky, get a small reimbursement back on the re-submission. It's ridiculous the amount of time I've spent advocating for myself and my dog with this organization.

They are banking on customers just throwing their arms up in the air and giving up because most of us simply don't have the time to call company representatives and hash through all this minutia for a few bucks. Additionally, you'll learn once your animal is sick, they have incredibly low limits on what they pay per condition. Bottom line: The reimbursements I have received from Nationwide are a mere FRACTION of the cost of the premiums this company has received from me. It would have been less expensive for me to pay out of pocket without Nationwide. I'll never use them again. Look at the reviews. It's no wonder why Nationwide Pet Insurance has so few stars.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

This company is horrible, they are scam artists, they lie to get you to sign up and then after that it's all BS! I got pet insurance for my dogs because I wanted to get him neutered and I saw that they covered this in their plan. It cost me 265 to get the policy started and 135 a month! It just so happened that I had his surgery the same day the policy started, which shouldn't matter because this is what my money paid for! After the surgery I sent in the claim form from his procedure which was 7/29/18. He had a lump in his testicles that I just wanted checked to make sure it wasn't cancer (which it wasn't thank God) so they sent that to get biopsied. The bill came to 705.00. 8/10/18 I took him to get his staples out. They were hurting him so they sedated him to remove them and I also got him updated on his shots. So that bill came to 120.00 which was also submitted.

But on 8/1/18 I called to see if they received the paperwork and that's when they told me then wanted medical records so that was sent in from the vet 8/2/18. It is now 9/4/18 and apparently they are still being reviewed like what how?! Just give me what you owe me! I have the whole pet with wellness plan 100.00 deductible so I'm not understanding! Someone told me not to go with these clowns and I should of listened! I guess only their car insurance is the only legit thing this company represents. Please don't waste your time with this company. You will regret it!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

A few things you should know if you are considering signing with Nationwide. They can't/ won't tell you by phone what is or is not covered before the fact. Submit your claim & take your chance. A year ago processing time was reasonable. Recently, however, there's always a reason to delay processing a claim. They need more info from the vet. They can't read what they got from the vet. They never got the claim that you submitted through the VitusVet app - resubmit it.

Wait times to call them are getting longer. Since they don't keep the claim status info on their web portal current, the only way to get status on a claim is to call. Apparently they don't have sufficient staff to maintain the website data or take customer calls. On the plus side, they are cheerful on the phone. I have friends who have their dogs insured with Nationwide. They're having the same problems or worse, so it's not just me. I've had one dog covered with them for a year, another for about 2 months. If I'd known how their service would change I would never have signed up the second dog with Nationwide.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

They pay per their own schedule and not what you actually pay the vet. Also you reach their maximum payouts very early. My chow chow had cancer. It cost me $8,000 in vet fees for her chemotherapy. The VPI plan paid me less than $3,000.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Not worth it at all. You are better off saving your monthly premiums and paying for your vet bills yourself. Or shop around. We have a senior dog and we pay $71.99 a month, x36 = $2591.64 (3 years premiums) + $1011.77 (vet bills in the last 3 years) = $3603.41! Now this insurance company has only reimbursed us a total $238.81 in the last three years!!! Expensive Coupons I guess! You do the math. Why do we still have them? My wife makes me keep it just in case of emergency, she thinks they will cover accidents and emergency. Lol! Keep paging through the other reviews. Complete 08/19/2017 $147.00 $0.00 09/14/2017. Complete 05/10/2017 $110.00 $99.00 Check 05/19/2017. Complete 12/20/2016 $145.24 $0.00 01/11/2017. Complete 09/28/2016 $64.00 $0.00 11/14/2016. Complete 09/14/2016 $354.53 $140.81 Check 11/14/2016. Complete 08/18/2016 $191.00 $0.00 08/24/2016.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I have had this pet insurance for over 12 years. They had no problem more than doubling my premiums over the years but when my dog needed a life saving emergency surgery they covered only 20%. There is no point in having this insurance if they don’t pay when you need it most..

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

This is a terrible company! I have had this insurance for 12 years. When my pet was diagnosed with a life threatening illness, Nationwide will not pay because my vet diagnosed my dog with an ultrasound rather than a biopsy (I can't make this up). The biopsy would have killed her! Their vet completely agrees with my vet on my dog's treatment but said Nationwide was bound by the language of how to diagnose this illness. I guess treatments don't change in 12 years. This is absolutely pathetic.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Well, it started well. They had reasonable prices for our two dogs. Our first dog was on the plan for three years, and the second for two years. They both had it since birth. The first year or so, I received the claim within 2 weeks, which was great, but in the last year or so, that started being closer to a month, and most recently, they just ignored my claim altogether. I sent them an email and they told me to resubmit, and another month goes by. I send another email, and they again tell me to resubmit the claim. It was a simple claim for a required medication.

That wasn't all that was not ok. Their premium increases were more than I can fathom. Both dogs were about the same cost. When we first had our dogs, it was around $45 per dog per month. The next year it went up to $56 per dog per month which was more than a 10%, and that included a 5% discount for adding a second dog. The third year came, and the largest premium I've ever seen came. Now they claim it will cost $98 per dog per month to insure. I felt like a sucker when I renewed anyways. Since that most recent renewal, the customer service and claim efficiency really took a dive. One would think an increase of 75% would result in higher quality customer service, but that was never the case. Throughout the 3 years, the plan for the dog did not change at all.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

My dog had to go to the emergency vet and then his regular vet the next morning. I submitted both claims at the same time. Fortunately, I made copies of everything I sent in. About a month after I sent both claims in, I received a small check for the regular vet visit. The reason? Because Nationwide applied the $250 annual deductible and the check they actually wrote was only $40 over that. The other claim, for $365?? Denied, denied, denied. I resubmitted it 4 times, both via email and on paper. Finally, I just received word that they are (supposedly) putting a check in the mail. We'll see it if actually comes in. I really don't appreciate this treatment, as I've faithfully paid my premium monthly. As soon as I can, I will be cancelling this policy and starting a new one with another company. If I could have given Nationwide Pet Insurance zero stars, I would have.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Our dog had fear aggression and bit my daughter and niece; he was a threat to our kids. After thousands of dollars of behavior therapy and medication we had to euthanize our dog. Nationwide wouldn’t pay for any of the behavior medication or therapy. When I called Nationwide to let them know we had to euthanize our dog, they mentioned that was covered. I thought great, at least they will pay for that small expense. Then I received a letter wanting to have the doctor’s notes. After sending that in to the company, they sent a letter stating they were denying the claim due to not paying for treatment excluded by the policy. They wouldn’t pay for euthanasia when it would be the most humane thing to do for a dog. They will pay if it is due to a serious illness but not a serious mental illness. That is the most ridiculous, heartless policy I have heard of.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I am very disappointed with this company. I purchased this cheap policy through my employer and when I spoke with the rep it sounded like a AWESOME Deal. Easy claim processing, easy easy easy. Not so... Well let me tell you when I try to file a claim nothing, or it's not covered. I finally am so fed up I filed a complaint with my employer and HOPEFULLY they will take it off their list... I have still not received my claim money and it's been over 90 days. I have a new GSD and he is only 1 year only and have been to the Vet 3 times and this company seems to keep giving me the run around wanting more documents from me and the VET. Ridiculous and unprofessional. PLEASE don't do with this company just because it's cheap. Sometimes a good deal is not a deal. As soon as they finish with my claims I am CANCELLING ASAP. Don't do it.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

This company is by far the most devious in paying out claims. I have had several instances where I had to call a supervisor for extremely low payouts for claims. This last claim was $1,200.00 for the hospitalization and euthanasia for my dog in which they cut me a check for $145. It is not worth the stress going back to them to fight yet again. Another ridiculous experience with them. Buyer beware!

Original review: July 31, 2018

If Nationwide scammed you, please see info at end of review! Trying to start a class action lawsuit, we need your story! Nationwide sentenced my baby to death! Much like the majority of these reviews, Nationwide has lied, made up their own diagnoses, delayed claims processing, ignored the diagnoses of the vet, told me the vet should call so they could explain why she is wrong, attempted to bait the vet into admitting the clinic missed diagnosing kidney failure, delayed giving me the decision to my review request even after changing her policy AGAIN, just to run out their 2nd 30 day extension and worse. Because I trusted their advertising and clearly biased reviews, my 15 month old puppy cannot be covered by any other insurance company and the expenses are skyrocketing. Don’t even consider Nationwide, even if offered by your employer. You will take years off your life fighting this unscrupulous company. They DO NOT care about your pet!

Original review: July 19, 2018

My miniature pinscher Sporty passed away from kidney failure and pancreatitis. My veterinarian and I submitted all documentation, itemized invoices etc. and they refused to pay as they stated the itemized information showed a high grade fever. They only use their specific codes and said that their organ failure/death code was a high grade fever which, of course, is not covered.

My vet has resubmitted the information they requested two more times and (of course) NW claims to have not received it. Do not purchase this insurance for your beloved animals as you are simply throwing your money away. Sporty was older so his policy was almost $1200 his last year and they don’t want to pay anything for him having kidney failure. They also have horrible customer service and threaten to hang up on you so they don’t have to deal with an unsatisfied customer. Purchase the insurance from a company that is there for you in your time of need. Not Nationwide which codes your dog's death from kidney failure as a fever so they don’t pay claim.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I have a sick budgie and called in the hopes of insurance that would help cover my medical bills. Turns out that any chronic conditions are permanently excluded from coverage by their exotic pets policy, and curable conditions must be out of the animal's system for six months. What's the point of insurance if they won't even help you when your animal actually gets sick?

Original review: July 14, 2018

Reading through these reviews for Nationwide, I'm actually shocked. My experience has been the complete opposite of the reviewers. I adopted a kitten in June of 2017 and purchased the Whole Pet with Wellness plan for him. I had originally only gotten the insurance to cover his shots through the first year. However, it turned out my cat was cryptorchid and had to undergo surgery. He had a difficult time healing and nearly died. In total, he underwent 4 total surgeries and I spent almost $5,000 in vet bills.

I don't know what I would have done without Nationwide. They reimbursed me 90% of my vet bills with no questions asked. I only had one claim rejected and, when I called customer service, they instructed me on how to resubmit my claim with the appropriate documents. My claim was later accepted. I do pay $35 a month for the plan and have a $250 deductible but it's all been worth it. Nationwide has saved me so much money on these unexpected vet bills. I'm not sure why my experience differs so much from other reviewers but I honestly don't have one negative comment to make about my insurance. Everything has gone smoothly and it rarely takes more than 2-3 weeks for my claims to be processed. I wish everyone else good luck and for those of you considering this insurance, I hope your experience is as positive as mine.

Original review: July 11, 2018

They are the worst. Take your pet one time for something and they put it as an exclusion - I change my dog's food and her stomach got upset and took her to Vet and submitted the invoice. Would not even pay for that and said she will not be covered for gastrointestinal problems. My Vet even wrote a letter saying it was the change of food and I have 7 months later have not had the problem again - her stomach is fine but they still will not pay for it down the road if her stomach gets upset again - took her to the vet. Her anal glands need to be expressed for $21.00. Would not pay for that - in a year the only thing they paid for was heartworm and nothing else.

Was told my policy covered fixing her. They would not pay for that!!! I put in three claims. The only thing they paid for was heartworm pills. DO NOT bother with them. They are terrible and a rip off - Save your money and I hope they go out of business - I was with VPI for 30 years and at least they were honest. Nationwide is disgusting and a TOTAL RIP OFF!!!

Original review: July 4, 2018

I recently signed up for pet insurance through Nationwide through my employer. I currently have a pup on Healthy Paws that I kept there but put my other pup on Nationwide. Well I recommend to you RUN as fast as you can from Nationwide. EVERY claim I have submitted has been rejected due to pre-existing conditions (LIE)! It takes them 3 months to process a claim, if I would have had my claim processed sooner I would have saved 3 months worth of premiums. WORST pet insurance company there is. Don't believe the ratings on the Nationwide website as it does not allow you to post a bad comment. Do your research and review pet insurances for a true evaluation on nonbiased websites. I hope I can save everyone a little bit of their hard earned money and allow your pet to be treated like the family member that they are, not a "pre-existing condition" that is not worthy of a company like Nationwide that does not put your pet first.

Original review: June 28, 2018

This pet insurance is a scam, they have deceptive business practice. They advertise and sell pet protective plan that covers all injuries and illness. However they did not reimburse a single penny for my ill dog. There are thousands upon thousands of bad reviews that this company is a scam. I don't know how they are still allowed to deceive and rob people.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I have two greyhounds. Both get regular, annual check ups and dental cleanings, and wellness checks. Recently I moved from ASPCA Pet Insurance to Nationwide's pet insurance as my employer offers us discounted payments for Nationwide. After sending in my pet's history and getting coverage started, several weeks later I had the annual dental cleaning done for my female dog. And then sent the claim into Nationwide.

The claim took over 4 months to process. The claim was denied because they categorized cleaning tartar as a "pre-existing condition"!!! Here was their quote: "A pre-existing condition is any condition that began or was treated up to twelve months before the effective date of this policy, whether or not the condition was discovered, diagnosed or treated." Of course I had tartar removed 12 months ago!!! This is a total scam as they advertise that on their wellness plan you can get dental cleanings covered, but when you do, they call it a pre-existing condition! This is a total rip off!

Nationwide Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1982, when Veterinary Pet Insurance issued their first policy on TV star Lassie, this company has insured more than 1 million pets. Their commitment to making quality vet care affordable is backed by the financial stability of one of the world's largest insurance companies, Nationwide.

• Emergency help line: Emergencies can happen at any time, so having access to those trained in veterinary medicine 24/7 can make all the difference. Veterinary Pet Insurance offers free access to its help line with any of its policies.

• Tiered service plans: Veterinary care can be expensive, even when only looking at annual routine care. This company offers plans that cover everything from routine maintenance to comprehensive coverage.

• Exotic pets covered: In addition to their plans that cover dogs and cats, this pet health insurance company also offers coverage for everything from sugar gliders to opossums.

• Immediate coverage: Many pet insurance plans have a waiting period between enrollment and effective coverage date. With Veterinary Pet Insurance, coverage begins 24 hours after receiving payment.

• No networks: Use the vet you are most comfortable with and take control of the treatment plan. Covered services are always covered, with no pre-approvals needed.

• Best for: Dog lovers, cat lovers, exotic pet owners and multi-pet households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky