1.23/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

322 Nationwide Pet Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Nationwide sales representatives assured me they would cover my teeth cleaning, then they stuck me with the $1400 bill after I paid for the policy. They spent FIVE months before denying the coverage, while continuing to collect premiums. They claimed a condition was preexisting because it occurred on 2/17/18 and 4/14/18 "which are prior to the Policy Effective Date of 2/5/18". YES, YOU READ THAT RIGHT, they claimed 2/17/18 and 4/14/18 are BEFORE 2/5/18. I have had to file review requests because they took the position that heartworm medication is not covered because my dog has a heart and therefore it is preexisting. I have also had to file review requests because they won't cover his flea & tick medicine, because my dog has fur and it is therefore preexisting. The only way to get coverage from this company is to hire an attorney.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Nationwide Pet Insurance has been a life saver for my dog who was diagnosed at the age of 4 with lymphoma. They have paid 90% of every claim submitted in a timely manner. I see many complaints written because people did not read and research the coverage options and choose wisely. This company is very transparent with any exclusions for each pet. Customer service is readily available and always helpful. I highly recommend the whole pet with wellness coverage which pays a percentage for actual costs incurred. THANK YOU NATIONWIDE!

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

This company denied our claim for our pet's teeth cleaning because the tartar was "pre-existing!" Nevermind that all tartar is "pre-existing", that's why it needs to be cleaned. They also require you to send in a ton of excessive medical records (basically, your claim is not only denied, but you're doing their work for them, too)! They will look for any excuse to avoid paying a claim and the problem is, you have no recourse because these companies are not regulated. Forget pet insurance and don't sign up just because it is offered by your employer. This company is a scam.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I signed up for pet insurance back in March 2018. The monthly rate was $41 for Nationwide's top tier plan. I was very happy with this rate as one could imagine. I submitted three claims which were reimbursed within a month. Then I receive an email informing me that monthly rates would be going up. As with everything else in life I figured this would happen, though I thought it was odd that the new rate was not quoted in this letter. I went online to see how much my new monthly rate would be.

I was absolutely floored when I saw that my new rate was $98! I called and was informed that there was a rate increase across the board and did I need to speak to someone about another plan to lower the cost. No I don't. This company is a scam and I will tell you how. I had a friend get a quote for the exact parameters as when I enrolled last year. Guess what? The price quoted was $55 a month. The Nationwide rep could not explain this disparity and was referred to another department to speak about lowering my costs with a policy that offered less. Meanwhile I would still be paying more. Absolutely a bait and switch scam. Don't go with Nationwide.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

My employer offered pet insurance through Nationwide, and with automatic payroll deduction it seemed like a good fit until I filed my first claim for my 9 year old dog. After a couple weeks of hearing nothing, they sent a request of all past medical records, which I painstakingly obtained and submitted (and I get that -- they need to know this info). But I had several more visits to the vet and submitted claims for each one, but heard nothing for weeks.

After almost 3 months of inaction I contacted them to find out what was going on. I was told it was still being processed and to wait for the response which was coming soon. Well their response came, with denials on every claim I had submitted due to a pre-existing condition (that's their policy -- but what good is it then?). 3 months, over $1700 in claims and zero in payout, but one thing was certain, they wasted no time taking my money. DON'T USE NATIONWIDE -- THE ONLY SIDE THEY ARE ON IS THEIR OWN!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

We got their major medical with wellness rider for our puppy because that’s all they allow for puppies. They said he would be eligible for whole pet with wellness when he was a year old. So when his first policy was about to be renewed I started the process of trying to upgrade him. It has been a nightmare! First off they didn't tell me what I needed to provide them with. They never called me to tell me what the status was or that he was denied or that I had to prove he was over his infection before being approved. They never told me the Vet office didn't send in the records. NOTHING!

Also you can't upgrade their policy at any time. You can only do it at renewal. So by that time it was too late and I had not been given any information. It had also been noted that they were suppose to call me with updates but never did. Now we have to wait until next year to try again. It has just been a nightmare and it's not worth the hassle especially when there are other companies out there offering just as good insurance at a cheaper price.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Very rarely use my Superior Plan (cost: $75 per month). I've had it for about 10 years. I was paid $183.80 for a $1370.32 vet bill. I've paid more than $6000 dollars to this company and have not in total collected ever near $2000. You should NEVER get pet insurance... Just put $50 per month into an account and use this... You will be much better off... And you don't have to deal with a company to get paid.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

VPI (Veterinary Pet Insurance) started pet insurance at least over 15 years ago and was maybe the first, or one of the first Pet insurance companies. Sadly that is the only positive. Gather from all the customer complaints they went under and Nationwide stepped in to swoop in the brand and hide it under their well known name (It would only appear). I had Nationwide and after bought the policy paperwork came in with what do you know VPI written on it. Very sneaky--bait and switch!!

VPI is horrible so I recently dumped them for the same reasons everyone else is complaining about--Claim timing and excuses. Snail speed processing, coverage avoidance and more. This company continues to hide behind excuses and utter false reasoning for delays. I have had Heathy Paws with a deceased pet and NEVER NEVER had such hold ups, which is why I cancelled this Nationwide (VPI) weeks back and went to Healthy Paws for my new pet. Please be smart and do your research as people speak and the web knows.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Their claims department is a complete joke, over 30 days and still processing my claim. I would never recommend anyone waste their money... Rip off artist. I have emailed and called to no avail. Once my claims are processed I am out.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Worst experience ever. After having coverage for all of my dog's life. She is now 12 years old. We recently have spent in excess of 11,000.00 and Nationwide paid short of 2000.00 after fighting tooth and nail to get that. My dog was diagnosed with cancer/neoplasia. She had surgery and when the biopsy was sent to pathology it turned out to be benign. Because it was benign they refuse to pay even though I have the cancer endorsement and rider. It turned out she needed 2 additional surgeries including one for parathyroid issues and is ongoing treatment and monitoring for hypercalcemia. The payouts were pathetic. I urge you all to contact the dept. of insurance in whatever state you live and file a complaint so that they will launch an investigation. Also contact the attorney general or DA office in your state. That is what I have done. They are investigating them. The only way to stop them from doing this to us is to do something about it.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Long story short. I recently had over $3000 in vet bills for a 4 month old German Shepherd puppy. After requiring all vet records, I was only reimbursed $208 due to what they titled a "pretty existing condition". Nationwide is a waste of your money.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

We have a rescue Westie. I purchased the top of the line insurance from Nationwide with the $100.00 deductable. Our first claim went well, however the second and third claims submitted 9/13/2018 and 9/17/18 are still outstanding. They denied the claims on 10/12/18 and asked for medical records which we submitted on 10/20/18 using the information, fax number, they provided. They processed them as a duplicate claim until I called and asked them to confirm receipt of the records. These two claims contain medicine and prescription dog food required by our vet for our dog's gastro issues. The policy says this is covered.

Just called again today 11/26/2018 and spoke with Rebecca and was told that the two claims are still in underwriting under review. I have two other claims also waiting for processing for spaying and skin/allergy issues which were submitted in October and November. I am waiting to see the outcome of these additional claims before cancelling my policy. This policy was recommended by a friend who had very good results with Nationwide. I would never recommend this company to anybody.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have had one of our Bulldogs insurance for almost 14 years when Nationwide was VPI. Ever since Nationwide bought out VPI the service, paying of claims and customer care is a joke. We recently added our Bulldog puppy to the insurance because of the discount I get through my employer and that was my first mistake. Everything is a pre-existing condition, they do this so they don't have to pay any claims. I have submitted around $800 in claims and Nationwide has paid $57.69. WOW, what a joke.

They have people answering the phone that know nothing and you are not "ALLOWED" to speak to anyone else. Sounds fishy to me that you can't talk to someone that actually handles the claims. AND it takes over a month to get paid on a claim or denied on a claim. I have another bulldog and a cat insured with Nationwide and I will NEVER use them again. PLEASE SAVE YOUR MONEY AND USE A REPUTABLE COMPANY. Nationwide Pet Insurance is a ripoff and a joke.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I purchased the wellness plan for my puppy, along with the injury/illness plan. They lump everything into one plan, so you will have a $250 deductible for wellness visits. If my puppy never has to go to the vet for anything other than a wellness visit, they will never have to reimburse a cent because our vet visits (including the vaccines, prescriptions, etc) did not total $250. If your vet, especially Banfield Hospital, offer a wellness plan, go with them. The monthly fee is less expensive, and they cover more. If we would have had the vet coverage, we would not have paid anything except the monthly fee for the plan. Also, when I called to cancel the Nationwide Insurance, the rep told me that she would cancel immediately. Fortunately, I double checked by looking online - she did not cancel.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

My dog Marley had an accident and went through 3 surgeries... Today he is recovering well. I submitted my claims with all the information (form, bill, itemized, etc). After a MONTH I called and they said I had to submit the medical records... After a not very pleasant talk over the phone, I submitted the medical records, and I’m still waiting for an answer. To make a long story short, they’re buying time so they won’t have to pay me back. Don’t waste your time with this insurance company! By the way, today I received the policy renewing, 2 months before it expiring. They’re fast at charging you!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Hello, I do believe Nationwide has good coverage but their claim process takes an average of 3 weeks which is far too long. I do have the wellness total care plan which has 90% reimbursement after meeting a $250 deductible. I was fortunate to get this coverage early so haven’t had any issues with pre-existing limitations but I am so frustrated with their claims process. I really wish they would enhance their claims process.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I had the full package including the wellness plan for my first dog and got reimbursed 90% but this dog never had any issues. Never really needed the insurance. I got another puppy and called and said I wanted the exact policy for my puppy that I have for my older dog including 90% reimbursement after $250 deductible and the wellness plan. They told me that plan is called something different now but it is the same plan. I said fine. Well this puppy turned one year and fractured his shoulder the following week. He needed a pin in his shoulder and submitted the claim. They only paid 30%! They told me that puppies under one year don’t qualify for the plan I requested and so I only get reimbursed their maximum for that procedure which is insanely low!

First of all, that’s not what they told me when I opened the policy for this puppy!!! They led me to believe I was getting the same plan as my other dog. Second, my puppy turned one the week before he needed this surgery but they still wouldn’t honor that because my policy doesn’t renew for 3 more months so I would have to call and upgrade at that time. So even after he did turn one, it didn’t make a difference anyway because you can’t upgrade until your policy renews. If this never happened I wouldn’t have known to call and upgrade and he would have been on this puppy plan for years. Third, NOWHERE in any of their ads where they brag about reimbursing 90% do they mention EXCEPT for puppies under one year!!! Do yourself a favor and read the TONS of negative reviews all over the internet on Nationwide and go with another insurance company!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Do not waste your money. They consider every office visit regardless of an injury or problem an exam. In other words, they 9 key pay for two exams a year regardless of whether your animal has something they need to look at that has NOTHING to do with a physical exam. Nationwide treats taking the temperature a physical exam if you bring your animal anything and everything. PI was good. Nationwide is the worst. We’ll be looking at other per insurance company for our two otherwise healthy cats. The dog, unfortunately needs to stay because when we adopted her she came with kidney disease and we can’t pm after three years, switch her.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I made the mistake of switching pet insurance coverage for my frenchie on the word of a coworker. I made the switch to Nationwide and have regretted it ever since. They will find any and every loophole possible so they won't have to be responsible to pay a dime. My frenchie has 2 luxating patellas that first we were told we have to wait until April then he will be covered... so we have him in PT and he is on nerve medicine... none of which they will pay for even though this will make him stronger for surgery. Now they say they will not pay for it as in 2 reports vets have made comments that he is obese! The poor boy weighs 26 lbs and although they recommend most frenchies to weigh 18-22 lbs this cannot be the case for my boy... his parents are not petite frenchies. I've had so much anxiety dealing with this company that my own doctor put me on meds! Beware!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I had a pet insurance policy with Healthy Paws that I was very happy with. My company offered payroll the duction for health insurance through Nationwide for my pets which also included a WellCare policy. I thought great. Wrong. I had to obtain an attorney to get payment for my pet's cancer to be covered. I asked the agent prior to changing insurance policies if my pet‘s Pre-existing cancer would be covered. I was told as long as my pet have been cancer free for one full year it would be not considered pre-existing. They asked for my pets records for one year. My vet said them for the past six years of which two years prior she been treated for cancer. She’s actually been cancer free for two years.

They refused to pay when she was diagnosed again with cancer. I have an attorney who wrote me a letter to them and then behold I got four checks in the mail the next week. I recently had to submit more invoices for cancer treatment which were denied again. I have my attorney sending them another letter and hope that will result in nationwide paying the fees. Shouldn’t have to hire an attorney to receive payment for things that should be covered. I highly recommend healthy paws insurance and wish that I had never left. When I do get another pet I will definitely go with the healthy paws insurance.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I signed my two cats up for Nationwide (originally VPI) about 6 years ago. I signed my dog up for Trupanion around the same time. I wanted to try out both companies to see which was better. While Trupanion has been a literal life-saver for my dog, covering 80% of surgery-related costs in the past couple years (about $10K in total; easy submission process, quick and positive decisions, and super fast payouts -- all in a matter of days), Nationwide has been a nightmare. My older cat recently had a major illness and Nationwide has denied, denied, denied. I was lucky to have an insurance specialist at the animal hospital that advocated for us, but she still only managed to get us reimbursed for a small % of the costs (about $700 of more than $2K) and it took more than a month.

The process was confusing & frustrating. I still don't understand the explanation of benefits documents that I have been provided by Nationwide and customer service is no help at all. The worst part is that we "capped out" this year, meaning any additional procedures would not be covered until next year. Even then, the payouts are capped at really low amounts.

At one point, Nationwide went ahead and changed info on one of my claims and then denied it. I showed my vet -- and he said the diagnosis they created was something specifically ruled out in the medical records I provided to them. It made no sense, and it took me many hours on the phone to fix it. Even then, I had to enlist the help of the insurance specialist to finally get to a solution.

I have since moved my younger cat to Trupanion. Unfortunately, due to age and what are now preexisting conditions, the older cat is stuck at Nationwide. Ongoing daily medications and prescription food (for the rest of his life) are not covered at all. It's clearly a waste of money, but I'm fearful to have no coverage at all if any sort of accident or another illness happens. The whole point of getting health insurance for my pets was so I wouldn't have to worry about costs when major health issues came up. With Nationwide, I worry every day how we will pay for additional procedures if my cat gets sick again. Stay away from Nationwide if you want to have real protection for your pets.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I’ve had Nationwide Pet Insurance for months now or so I thought as I provided payment, credit card for them to take the Pet Insurance fee from. My cat got sick and is going to the vet today, I called Nationwide Pet Insurance because my plan comes with the 24-hour vet helpline and they informed me I’m not covered and haven’t been since June!! They said, "But your pet does need to be seen at a vet today!" I was transferred over to their customer support to make sure my policy is still valid and they said they cancelled it and sent me notice. I checked my emails and nothing. They have my phone number, NO calls from them. They will not reinstate my policy and sadly my deductible was already met back in May!

Other companies have the same credit card on file and have been charging it up until a week ago no problem. I even asked to speak to a manager and anyone higher and they all said they cannot reinstate. My card has not been full as it’s linked to my checking that has the money in it. So now I get to fork out all the bills and not get reimbursed anything from them. What a rip off and a scam!! Nationwide is NOT ON YOUR SIDE. They are not there when I need them as my pet is sick and I expected to have insurance coverage for my cat. Any person thinking of using this Insurance should just walk over to the closest toilet and flush your money down it as it would be the same results as paying for this insurance!! I hope my review stops someone else from going through the same thing!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Before Nationwide bought them out, they used to be VPI, and their customer service was stellar! The claims processing time was stellar. They cared about you and your pet. Claims took 30 days or less. Since Nationwide purchased them, the customer service has plummeted. I have claims that are still being processed 3 MONTHS later. Reps will tell you that they’re “backed up” and will “escalate” but that won’t result in anything. The company clearly hasn’t prepared for the onslaught on new customers and instead of being proactive and training new reps in advance, they were reactive and waited to train new reps until after all the new accounts started flowing in. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS! I’m currently researching other pet insurance providers to make a switch.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

We have had Nationwide for years. We received reimbursement for our older dog who died in Jan 2017. We received all claims submitted. We recently submitted $1200 in claims for our new dog and Nationwide rejected every one of them. You might as well shred your money instead of sending it to Nationwide. Management should be wearing orange DOJ jump suits. Do not use Nationwide.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

From their response to my claim: "We will not pay for diagnosis, medical management, or surgical correction of any endocrine tumors, both benign and malignant, or endocrine hyperplasias of any kind, or associated splenectomy." This is referring to adrenal disease which is the most common long term illness to affect ferrets. If they don't cover that, then what use are they? Nationwide has proven to me over and over again that they do not care about your pet's health and only want money.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I have had them through my job since Feb 2017 until 9.19.18. I submitted a claim from August (sent it to them the same day) and they just decided to deny my claim, stating that because I submitted one for an issue my pet had as well from LAST YEAR they deemed it as an on-going issue (of course, they didn't verify that with my vet). So I decided to cancel them altogether, considering I spend way more to have their fee taken out of my check, for them to have only reimbursed me $350. Do yourself a favor, get another company. Nationwide is not on your side.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

My aussie is 7 years old. She's been to the vet way more than any pet I owned so I decided to finally look into pet insurance. I've had pet insurance with Nationwide for almost a year now through my work benefits. So far I've really only had to submit a couple of claims. Unfortunately my aussie was diagnosed with IBD like a week before the waiting period expired so anything related to that (meds, additional testing, etc.) is "pre-existing". That's my fault though for not getting insurance sooner. Recently I noticed an ear infection. I took her to the vet who confirmed the ear infection & also noticed a foxtail in her foot (she had no symptoms, so that was weird). The total cost of the visit was outrageous in my opinion. Thankfully it was covered by Nationwide.

The annoying part of the claim process was that Nationwide delayed my claim decision multiple times for what seemed to be for no reason at all. The first reason was valid because they hadn't ever received my pets entire medical history (this is because I signed up through my work benefits). After I tracked all of her medical records down (we've moved a lot & been to a bunch of different vets) I thought it would be smooth, but they continued to delay. I did finally receive payment. If I remember correctly it took 2-3 months. I noticed that a lot of the negative reviews on here mention things that were not covered like dental, neuter, etc. Those are preventative procedures... it specifically states in your policy that preventative procedures are not covered. Although the claim process takes longer than I'd like, I'm still going to add my new puppy to my policy.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

They do everything they can to reject the claim. Everything is pre-existing condition. Unless it's an accident, they would not cover it. This company is worse than any home warranty companies. I will pull out all my annuities and insurance for my rental properties. Nationwide is in business to trick people and steal the premium.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I have a small breed dog, just turned three years old. No pre-existing conditions, relevant to a neuter or dental surgery!! This company would not reimburse my dog's neuter or dental surgeries. These procedures are expensive, but since I had new pet insurance through my employer with Nationwide- at an advertised 90% coverage rate, as advertised through Nationwide, I went ahead to have the procedures done! My young dog is healthy, he's young- no 'pre-existing' conditions 'relevant' to the procedures done as a rude, unprofessional customer service agent had mentioned!

Very disappointed. A total waste of money! I should have stayed with the Banfield Wellness plan, at least there I would have received a discount rate on these very expensive procedures. I ended my Nationwide coverage immediately, and went back to the Banfield Wellness plan. Nationwide does not cover expensive procedures. They use every way possible to not reimburse!! Months of waiting. Their tactics are misleading. Isn't this why good pet owners pay for health coverage for their pets?! We expect coverage for medical procedures to keep our pets healthy!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Our beloved little cat died after 20 years of mutual love and affection. For much of that time I had insurance through Nationwide and its predecessor company I assume they purchased. It seemed that every time our kitty needed the vet (not that often), Nationwide had a way to deny or greatly reduce the care to something like 20%. As an emergency doctor I have seen what bad coverage (i.e. Obamacare) has done to my patients. I have always sent in the doctor notes and added brief but complete medical justifications for my cat's care. No matter. I have had many futile discussions with "Customer Care" - it's not their fault, I am sure they are ashamed of what they have to say to deny claims. The most egregious part of this insurance scam is the limitations they place on each illness or category of illness so that if your pet is really ill, you are going to pay most all out of pocket.

Let me add again from my doctor viewpoint and as someone who was also a medical director for a healthplan, these kinds of "gotchas" in private human insurance would lead to repeated complaints to state regulators and would result in penalties and decreased business. But as we love our pets, it's difficult to cancel a policy (especially as they tell you that you have a "premium plan" that is no longer available and your beloved dog or cat is aging and how could you cancel now that you are surely going to need insurance?). I think a better alternative (if you can't find a fair plan) is to put aside money each month to self insure. In my opinion you will be far ahead over time. It would be a great idea to develop a cooperative, share plan for pet owners that could negotiate rates with veterinary practices. This is lacking now as Nationwide does not do this, they just shift cost to the pet owner and keep the premium.

Nationwide Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1982, when Veterinary Pet Insurance issued their first policy on TV star Lassie, this company has insured more than 1 million pets. Their commitment to making quality vet care affordable is backed by the financial stability of one of the world's largest insurance companies, Nationwide.

• Emergency help line: Emergencies can happen at any time, so having access to those trained in veterinary medicine 24/7 can make all the difference. Veterinary Pet Insurance offers free access to its help line with any of its policies.

• Tiered service plans: Veterinary care can be expensive, even when only looking at annual routine care. This company offers plans that cover everything from routine maintenance to comprehensive coverage.

• Exotic pets covered: In addition to their plans that cover dogs and cats, this pet health insurance company also offers coverage for everything from sugar gliders to opossums.

• Immediate coverage: Many pet insurance plans have a waiting period between enrollment and effective coverage date. With Veterinary Pet Insurance, coverage begins 24 hours after receiving payment.

• No networks: Use the vet you are most comfortable with and take control of the treatment plan. Covered services are always covered, with no pre-approvals needed.

• Best for: Dog lovers, cat lovers, exotic pet owners and multi-pet households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky