2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.22/5

Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

As a veterinarian, I know how expensive pet emergencies can be and did not want to be left in a terrible dilemma should my 9month old puppy become sick, eat something she shouldn’t have or hurt herself. I recommend pet insurance to all my new puppy owners just for these reasons. Unfortunately my puppy tragically passed away in a hiking accident when out with my partner just one day after her insurance kicked in. Unfortunately her injury took her instantly and there was nothing we could do. I called Nationwide to cancel my policy which was very easy and they were very compassionate. About a week later we found our silver lining pup and so I got insurance once again.

I just received a letter today expressing their condolences on the lost of our first puppy and they informed me they were refunding me for the premium. I was so surprised but it really helped lift the financial burden I found myself in after putting in $394 for our puppy who tragically passed. I was not expecting this refund nor did I ask for it. Thank you Nationwide for understanding the human animal bond and understanding that unfortunate accidents happen and providing me with a little financial relief during this hard time.

Original review: May 22, 2019

Nationwide Pet Insurance was the perfect addition to my work benefits. Once I enrolled, I designated the premium to be automatically taken out of my paycheck. Because my cat was already up to date with all his health and dental needs prior to me purchasing the "Whole Pet with Wellness" plan, it was simply a precaution against a worst-case scenario. Unfortunately, the scenario came to fruition when my Shadow had to be rushed into surgery for a blockage in his small intestine. He was hospitalized for 3 nights and needed around the clock IV fluids. This was an expensive emergency! While I had to pay the 5k upfront, once I submitted my receipts for reimbursement the processing, approval, and payout time took place within a week. This is why I bought the insurance, for emergencies and I'm glad I did! It saved my wallet, my credit, and most importantly, my Shadowcat's life! Thanks Nationwide!!!

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I read other reviews before I got this insurance, which made me concerned about it - but the policy seemed solid so I paid for it. The policy I paid for was the "Whole Pet with Wellness" policy, $100 deducible and 90% reimbursement for a wide variety of conditions. Now, having read the reviews, I was aware that some were complaining that the company didn't cover expenses that they hadn't paid for insurance for. Right now Nationwide has three different plans, and I picked the most expensive, which covered injuries/illness/general wellness like vaccinations. If you choose the plan that only covers vaccinations/spaying and neutering/etc, they won't cover injuries.

However, with the amount of complaints I was still concerned. On May 1st, our big fluffboy started limping very badly. He didn't want to put any weight on his front paw. We weren't sure what happened, and ended up rushing him to the vet. No breaks, no fractures, but they had to put him to sleep for the checkup because he was so scared. They even shaved his shoulder to check for injuries, but there wasn't much to find, so it was probably just a bad sprain.

Anyway, I submitted my claim on May 2nd, with all the paperwork from the vet attached, and fully expected to get the run around. Today I got the response that the claim was accepted and they're sending a check. No hassle. I just made sure I turned in necessary information and explained what happened and it went very smoothly. Took about 2 weeks. Needless to say I'm very happy right now and glad I have him covered. The coverage has paid about 70% for itself already and he'll still be covered until into the beginning of next year. It's been worth it for me, at least. Even if I don't have to use it again - and hopefully I don't need to - the peace of mind will be worth it.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Excuse me while I vent...and sorry for the length. So I got pet insurance for Daisy when she was a puppy. I invested in coverage for EVERYTHING, because my first dog almost bankrupted me. Fortunately she has been very healthy, just the occasional ear infection, etc. The policy never covered a LOT for routine care, but with the extended "cover-all" rider that I've been paying for, I knew as she got older I'd be covered.

Well her latest surgery ran about $1500. I put in the claim with all the paperwork and waited for my check, as it was a week before Christmas. My check came right before Christmas for....ready...$230. That's right $230. I was sick to my stomach. I JUST got off the phone and they "explained" to me that when I bought the policy 10 years ago it WAS top of the line, but since then there have been many changes and I should have updated. I replied, well now my dog is 10 and changes will cost a fortune to which I was told "we won't make any changes for a 10 year old dog". Pretty much take what you get and move along. Keep in mind, I'm paying about $70/month for this insurance and I know if I cancel it, I'll get hit with some catastrophic event, God forbid. My advice to all who are looking to get pet insurance put $25-50 a month away, for emergencies and don't waste your $$ on pet insurance. #NationwideisNOTonmyside.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I had a pet that was on a policy with them for over three years. Never need a claim, paid out renewal premiums. Then one day said pet was very ill. Submitted all vet invoices, medical notes, and labs as requested. With 24 hour full claim denied as not covered. Save your money and use it for vet bills. Avoid trying to get anything from them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I purchased the most expensive insurance plan from Nationwide through my employer. I had it for nine months when I took my cat to the vet and discovered she had a lesion that required surgery. The total amounted to $1,045. I combed through my documentation to ensure the procedures were covered under the terms of my policy. Nevertheless, the entire amount was rejected outright. I called to ask why.

I was informed that after receiving my claim, Nationwide rewrote my policy's exclusion terms, and the procedures for which I had requested reimbursement were no longer covered. I repeated this information back to the customer service representative to make sure I had heard her correctly, and she confirmed. The only way I can conceive of this being legal is thus: I filed the claim in late November, renewed my policy in mid-December, and figure they used that opportunity to rewrite my policy so anything related to that procedure no longer qualified for coverage. Legality aside, it's the most blatantly shady thing I can conceive of, and I immediately cancelled the policy. No one I know has ever had their procedures covered anyway, be it the end of the year or not. It's just predatory and not worth it. Good riddance.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

My experience with Nationwide was hands down the worst experience I've ever had with an insurance company. I purchased 2 pet insurance policies. They took over a month to take effect, the one claim I submitted (which should have been fully covered per the policy I purchased) was denied without explanation, and when I tried to log into my account to review the policies and claim documentation, the password I used to set up the account had been inexplicably invalidated.

Furthermore, there is no way to reset your password on their website. The form automatically deletes anything you enter in the required fields. Contacting customer service to restore access to my account was futile. They sent a temporary password that routed me to a page where I was required to enter my current password to reset my password, which didn't work because my current password had been inexplicably invalidated. Even after I sent them screenshots to prove that there was no way to reset the password without entering the current password, they STILL insisted that entering the current password was not required and that I was simply imagining what was in the screenshot I sent them of their own website.

After a week long battle with customer service, I finally gave up and canceled both policies over their refusal to allow me to access my own account. I prepaid for a year, which they are supposedly going to partially refund, but I am researching legal action I can take to recover the lost funds in the event that they decide to essentially steal the $1200 I spent on worthless policies and an account I couldn't use or access, because I do not expect them to actually issue the refund.

The experience I had with Nationwide left me absolutely flabbergasted and shocked that a reputable company would do something like this to a customer. Do not, under any circumstances, purchase an insurance policy from Nationwide. It does not cover anything it says it covers, and it's nothing but a colossal waste of time and money. If you want an ongoing headache, just hit yourself in the head with a baseball bat a few times a day for a few weeks instead. You'll save a ton of time and money, and the end result will still be the same. Spare yourself. Run away.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

My complaint is for bad faith actions and wrongful repudiation with respect to my insurance policy ** Nationwide Pet Insurance. To be brief here, I did file a claim in May in which I made a mistake and ultimately was sent for investigation and I withdrew the claim. I have emails from that that I can provide. I heard nothing further past July 2019. I received my renewal notice (attached) in Sept. 2019 followed by the policy declaration in Oct 2019 (attached) as I have always received it since inception of the policy in 2011. I awoke on 11/21/2019 to check status of a claim I filed and found in my "document file" on the site a "form" letter that the policy was canceled.

I immediately called Nationwide and got referred back to the investigator I left several calls that weren't returned and emails that weren't returned until the 3rd or 4th and it took another appx 5 calls to get to "Nancy" back at the CA office. (The first person at their customer advocacy department assigned case #** to the complaint.) The situation was explained. She told me I should have received a letter in Aug 2019 of cancellation which I did not receive and can find NO record of its tracking/mailing with any company. She further said, after I spoke with her for a long time, "there is no reason this could not be re-reviewed" and she was submitting it to review. I heard nothing back.

Dec 4 appx I had to call her. The first agent told me "Nancy" tried to call me the day before. There is NO record of this call on my caller ID and I am requesting records of incoming calls. Nancy said she tried to call as well. Further she informed the policy remains canceled. In fact she seemed to not have any idea what I was talking about so I don't think there was a "re-review". Again, I told her I had NO reason to think I didn't have insurance. I received my renewal notice, declaration and they took my payment from my Dad's credit card just like it has happened since 2011. Until I saw the form letter attached on 11/21/2019. Everything is also included online in my "documents" EXCEPT the mystery August letter that I never got.

To summarize this complaint, I had issue with them in July. 2019 and heard no more. Received my renewal notice 9/2019 followed by declaration 10/2019 payment was removed (it was returned). And I woke up to find the form letter 11/21/2019. Interestingly enough, I also have another dog insured with Nationwide policy ** which remains intact. One would think if something so egregious happened, it would warrant cancellation of this as well. I was NEVER offered any opportunity of an outside independent review.

In addition to the above difficulty, I had every reason to believe I had insurance. If I had not received the renewal, I would have called them in October and could have sought other coverage/appealed the issue then. This dog is 12 years old a year older that when this started. Nationwide does not take new policies after they are 10 and I believe they try to drop them or make the policy so expensive you will drop it as the gets older. Those extra lost months also created new issues for the dog that would be pre-existing and not covered by another company and the lost time also would have been time to get past any "waiting periods".

Of course the most important issue is it is fundamentally unfair to send a person their renewal notice with new premium, declaration of insurance and accept payment - only to claim to have sent you a letter that actually pre dates the renewal notice and declaration?? So you actually suddenly don't have the insurance they told you that you had on paper??

I am appalled by this and it goes beyond any fundamental fairness. As I said, I had NO reason to believe I didn't have insurance. I heard nothing after withdrawing the claim. Received renewal notice, declaration and the payment was charged. Now all of Grace's 12 years of issues are pre-existing in addition to those happening since 11/2019. This has caused an unimaginable amount of stress to me as I live alone and am disabled. These 2 dogs are my constant companions. Without insurance I cannot afford their care and to be treated this way is incredibly unfair and unacceptable. Thank you so very much in advance.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

So I had a really terrible vet who would basically vacuum your wallet by testing FOR EVERYTHING. I made a clean break, got a new vet, and decided to add pet insurance. Fast forward a year later and my cat was lethargic and not eating, so I brought my cat in as I read should be done in that situation thinking she'd be covered. Insurance claim rejected for "constipation" and "Other" based on all the previous tests being considered a preexisting condition from my lousy previous vet. "Other"? Seriously?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

I pay to Nationwide over 150 monthly for the Whole Pet with Wellness with 90% reimbursement. My dog thank God is in a good health and once twice a year I take him to his vet for a normal check up like blood work or teeth cleaning BUT NATIONWIDE FIND ANY NONSENSE EXCUSE TO NOT REIMBURSE. THEY ARE GOOD ON JUST TAKING YOUR MONEY!

Not sure about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Pet Insurance for you.

Nationwide Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1982, when Veterinary Pet Insurance issued their first policy on TV star Lassie, this company has insured more than 1 million pets. Their commitment to making quality vet care affordable is backed by the financial stability of one of the world's largest insurance companies, Nationwide.

• Emergency help line: Emergencies can happen at any time, so having access to those trained in veterinary medicine 24/7 can make all the difference. Veterinary Pet Insurance offers free access to its help line with any of its policies.

• Tiered service plans: Veterinary care can be expensive, even when only looking at annual routine care. This company offers plans that cover everything from routine maintenance to comprehensive coverage.

• Exotic pets covered: In addition to their plans that cover dogs and cats, this pet health insurance company also offers coverage for everything from sugar gliders to opossums.

• Immediate coverage: Many pet insurance plans have a waiting period between enrollment and effective coverage date. With Veterinary Pet Insurance, coverage begins 24 hours after receiving payment.

• No networks: Use the vet you are most comfortable with and take control of the treatment plan. Covered services are always covered, with no pre-approvals needed.

• Best for: Dog lovers, cat lovers, exotic pet owners and multi-pet households.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor