1.30/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

355 Nationwide Pet Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 22, 2019

Nationwide Pet Insurance was the perfect addition to my work benefits. Once I enrolled, I designated the premium to be automatically taken out of my paycheck. Because my cat was already up to date with all his health and dental needs prior to me purchasing the "Whole Pet with Wellness" plan, it was simply a precaution against a worst-case scenario. Unfortunately, the scenario came to fruition when my Shadow had to be rushed into surgery for a blockage in his small intestine. He was hospitalized for 3 nights and needed around the clock IV fluids. This was an expensive emergency! While I had to pay the 5k upfront, once I submitted my receipts for reimbursement the processing, approval, and payout time took place within a week. This is why I bought the insurance, for emergencies and I'm glad I did! It saved my wallet, my credit, and most importantly, my Shadowcat's life! Thanks Nationwide!!!

Original review: May 16, 2019

I read other reviews before I got this insurance, which made me concerned about it - but the policy seemed solid so I paid for it. The policy I paid for was the "Whole Pet with Wellness" policy, $100 deducible and 90% reimbursement for a wide variety of conditions. Now, having read the reviews, I was aware that some were complaining that the company didn't cover expenses that they hadn't paid for insurance for. Right now Nationwide has three different plans, and I picked the most expensive, which covered injuries/illness/general wellness like vaccinations. If you choose the plan that only covers vaccinations/spaying and neutering/etc, they won't cover injuries.

However, with the amount of complaints I was still concerned. On May 1st, our big fluffboy started limping very badly. He didn't want to put any weight on his front paw. We weren't sure what happened, and ended up rushing him to the vet. No breaks, no fractures, but they had to put him to sleep for the checkup because he was so scared. They even shaved his shoulder to check for injuries, but there wasn't much to find, so it was probably just a bad sprain.

Anyway, I submitted my claim on May 2nd, with all the paperwork from the vet attached, and fully expected to get the run around. Today I got the response that the claim was accepted and they're sending a check. No hassle. I just made sure I turned in necessary information and explained what happened and it went very smoothly. Took about 2 weeks. Needless to say I'm very happy right now and glad I have him covered. The coverage has paid about 70% for itself already and he'll still be covered until into the beginning of next year. It's been worth it for me, at least. Even if I don't have to use it again - and hopefully I don't need to - the peace of mind will be worth it.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Nationwide Pet Insurance has been a life saver for my dog who was diagnosed at the age of 4 with lymphoma. They have paid 90% of every claim submitted in a timely manner. I see many complaints written because people did not read and research the coverage options and choose wisely. This company is very transparent with any exclusions for each pet. Customer service is readily available and always helpful. I highly recommend the whole pet with wellness coverage which pays a percentage for actual costs incurred. THANK YOU NATIONWIDE!

Original review: July 14, 2018

Reading through these reviews for Nationwide, I'm actually shocked. My experience has been the complete opposite of the reviewers. I adopted a kitten in June of 2017 and purchased the Whole Pet with Wellness plan for him. I had originally only gotten the insurance to cover his shots through the first year. However, it turned out my cat was cryptorchid and had to undergo surgery. He had a difficult time healing and nearly died. In total, he underwent 4 total surgeries and I spent almost $5,000 in vet bills.

I don't know what I would have done without Nationwide. They reimbursed me 90% of my vet bills with no questions asked. I only had one claim rejected and, when I called customer service, they instructed me on how to resubmit my claim with the appropriate documents. My claim was later accepted. I do pay $35 a month for the plan and have a $250 deductible but it's all been worth it. Nationwide has saved me so much money on these unexpected vet bills. I'm not sure why my experience differs so much from other reviewers but I honestly don't have one negative comment to make about my insurance. Everything has gone smoothly and it rarely takes more than 2-3 weeks for my claims to be processed. I wish everyone else good luck and for those of you considering this insurance, I hope your experience is as positive as mine.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I bought pet insurance to have peace of mind after an experience I had with my last dog. The first year I kept track of all my expenses and found that I had paid a bit more than I would have out of pocket that year, but to have the peace of mind knowing if something serious or expensive had come up seemed worth it. My dog just had basics done that year, shots, routine teeth cleaning, flea and tick medication and she was spayed. On month 11 I received a letter stating my premium was going up 57% a month. The reason they gave was that my dog was 1 year older. WHAT??? I had just gotten a new dog and was going to insure her as well, but at that rate of increase I realized by the time they were 10 I would be paying $1000s a month. I understand a couple dollars a month increase each year but that is ridiculous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Original review: May 21, 2019

Four months later no payment yet. After being an excellent loyal customer for over ten years, my senior dog had eye issues. She had already lost one eye and there was an exclusion in her policy for glaucoma. Her second eye had to be treated for a lens luxation. Completely different from glaucoma. Company has strung me along for months with this claim - asked for ALL her vet records, they got them... and have done nothing. Good luck getting paid.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I've used Nationwide/VPI for almost 15 years between 2 dogs, and the fact that in one year, my premium has increased by $50, is outrageous and maddening! They specifically told me it has nothing to do with my animal or claims, it has to do with an assessment of my location, which includes claims submitted in the area, vet prices, etc. I expect a a couple dollars increase each year, however $50 completely floors me. I spoke with an agent to review other plans (I have the whole pet & wellness plan) - which I should have known pricing would still be ridiculous. I'm officially shopping other companies and will make a change before my next billing date. I'm so disappointed in Nationwide - not only over the incredulous increase, but over the communication around it as well. It appears long standing members don't matter to them.

Original review: May 16, 2019

If I could give this company a 0 star I would. I started insurance with them because my cat was starting to see the vet more often. I was fine with his behavioral problems being a pre-existing condition because it was. But as I had the insurance my cat had some pretty severe constipation which cost me around $1,200. I put in a claim to have the insurance pay it, but they came back saying it is a pre-existing condition and they would not pay for it. I cancelled my policy immediately reading all the other reviews that people have written saying they do the same exact thing to them too. HORRIBLE company that steals your money.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I was a customer of Nationwide Pet Insurance program for a number of years. My dog got sick in 2017 and needed x-rays and ultrasounds, and the vet could not diagnosis her accurately, so no diagnosis was given. Nationwide's underwriters deemed her condition which resolved itself, as pre-existing and stamped my policy with such verbiage, all claims made after for ANYTHING were denied. I attempted to appeal this numerous times and had to let my dog suffer when she needed tests run to figure out what illness she had due to not being able to afford the treatment since Nationwide wasn't going to reimburse me, despite being a loyal and paying customer for many years.

Their underwriters never saw my dog, and yet diagnosed her themselves and stamped her policy as such. In the multiple times I appealed this issue, my vet even wrote a letter stating she was not diagnosed and they had no right to say she was as they had not seen her. Nationwide's underwriters even claimed her receipts and documentation said she had **, when in fact it stated nothing of the sort. My vet has now told all clients not to use Nationwide, and will never suggest them again. I dropped them and cancelled my policy after submitting a recent WELLNESS visit and testing and they denied it, despite me paying for it. Terrible, terrible customer service as well and very poor and nasty representatives. I have a disability and they wouldn't adhere to ADA rules to help me either.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I tried using Nationwide Pet Insurance and have been very disappointed in their service and coverage. Submitted 6 claims for two dogs totaling over $5,000 and was only reimbursed $30! I contacted them to request they review the claims which turned into a back and forth between myself, my veterinarian and Nationwide. For over two months every time I would contact them they would say they needed all medical records, or had attempted to contact my veterinarian and that my vet's office hadn't returned their calls. I contacted my vet's office, signed the medical release forms and was even copied on the emails to Nationwide with all my dog's medical records. Even after this, they said they still hadn't received them, so I again sent over all the medical records. Their next stall tactic was to say that there was a 7 month gap where my dog hadn't seen the vet!

My dog was only one year old and didn't have any serious medical issues so she wasn't going to the vet on a weekly basis which I tried to explain. I finally reached my end when the representative spoke rudely to me during this call and talked to me like I was stupid or didn't understand the issue. I was told I would have to create a letter explaining why there was a 7 month gap for my dog going to the vet, which I find completely unnecessary. All my other claims were denied due to me receiving a "discount", being "congenital" or saying they needed more information/records. I even paid for the additional pet wellness for one of my dog's based on it's partial coverage of spay.

Once I submitted, what did Nationwide say? Denied. "We will not pay for diagnosis or treatment of any condition resulting from or associated with breeding or pregnancy, including spaying or neutering." Isn't this the point of spaying, to prevent breeding and pregnancy? This was a complete waste of money and time and seems they make every effort to find a reason not to pay out a claim. My medical insurance is easier to deal with.

Even when I called to cancel, they halfheartedly tried to convince me to keep the policy and I explained how I didn't appreciate how the representative spoke with me yet they never apologized or tried to make things right. They only asked me to give it more time for them to process the final remaining claim! Why would I want to wait longer, only to be denied again? I felt they only wanted to stall so they could get more money from me to keep coverage while they figured out a reason to deny another claim. Don't waste your time or money with this company.

Original review: May 13, 2019

If my cat gets outside and gets into a fight, they cover that but they won't cover me getting her ears checked to make sure she doesn't have an infection. The diagnosis was age-related deafness. Not covered. They did cover tooth extractions in the past but not the anesthesia. If there's something really wrong, the limits for each illness are very low. I'm keeping the insurance for now because my cat is 17 but I don't know if I would recommend it. I compare with other companies before purchasing.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I purchased Nationwide insurance for my dog. He was in a ER situation after my policy enforced date. Nationwide denied his whole ER bill for an exclusion that is not even listed my my policy. I've talked to several different managers there and no one cares. One even said, "If you are not happy, I can cancel your insurance." I recently wrote an email to the president of Nationwide Pet Insurance hoping to get this reviewed. Similar to the post below, they are denying the claim based off a preexisting condition the dog did not have. The managers do not know how to read the policy language. If I do not hear back from the President Anthony Sharett and I am writing a department of insurance complaint, as well as reaching out to the Vice President and Chief Customer Advocate, Jasmine Green. This company will not listen to me. Don’t use this company for any insurance needs. #nationwideisnotonyourside

Original review: May 8, 2019

Nationwide is a scam. They have consistently denied every claim I have made, in spite of my Veterinarian explaining to them that the two conditions in my claim were not related. They claimed that both conditions were the same, and BOTH were pre-existing. So avoid this company like the plague, and don't for one moment think they'll play fair with you. See their denial claim attached.

Original review: April 30, 2019

This company is completely unethical, my dog started having seizures one month ago and they denied this claim because they stated it was a pre-existing condition. My pet has never been diagnosed or treated for seizures in the past. Nationwide claims that they received medical records from a vet hospital that my dog was at one time for a swollen eye and in those records the vet stated that my dog has seizures every 2 years. I did not provide those medical records from that vet and that vet did not treat my pet for seizures.

I do not know why that is stated in the medical records, but I can't even confirm the statement because Nationwide refused to give me the medical records with that statement. They claim that I have no right to see MY OWN DOG's medical records that they solicit without my knowledge or consent. I have had multiple claims denied with Nationwide on the basis of pre-existing conditions, that seems to be their easiest way to not have to pay out any claims because there is nothing you can do to prove it otherwise. Nationwide enjoys taking my money, but they sure don't like to pay.

Original review: April 27, 2019

We were formally with VPI— then that changed to Nationwide. Our premiums increased over 100 percent. We had the top plan whole wellness- which is a waste because of the deductible—- if your pet is well and needs yearly exams only, you first pay the deductible (250 or 500) and they give you 90 percent of everything moving forward. Most yearly exams run 500 max and you will be either out of pocket the 500 (for the 500 deductible) or 300 if you have the 250 deductible. Then you hit the 90/10 coverage— where the premiums are prohibitively expensive.

2 of our dogs ran over 4000 a year—Their number 2 plan was only 10 percent less than their whole wellness— and had a max cap of 10,000 dollars. Why would you do that? Even if you have the $, it’s a rip off. Go to Healthy Paws— they have no Wellness which as I believe is a waste, and have 80/20 or 70/30 based on the age of your pet but their premium costs are 66% less and they have no maximum for accident and Illnesses. We would be paying after the increases over 9000 a year including the deductibles.

Original review: April 25, 2019

So I know that most people only leave reviews when they have had negative experiences. So when I saw the low ratings for Nationwide Pet Insurance I wrote them off. They were so well-reviewed by websites comparing all the pet insurance companies! They couldn't be THAT bad! Do yourself a favor, and don't be like me. (TLDR: I applied for insurance; they jerked me around for a month without activating my policy. I cancelled everything with them and went with a different company who was able to approve my application instantly.)

I applied for the insurance and answered all of their questions honestly. They said they needed vet records from the last 12 months to process my application. So I gave them the contact information for my current vet and my last vet. They said they would contact them for medical records. A week went by. I tried to be patient. Another week went by. So I emailed them. They said they needed additional records from my last vet. I explained that I already gave them that contact info the day I applied for the policy. But for two weeks they didn't contact them? Hm. Doesn't seem like a great start.

Another week goes by. I call them. They said they're reviewing the records. Then I get an email that I need to contact my old vet because she hasn't sent the records they requested. I explained that I left that vet on not great terms because of her behavior. So I offered to send them all the records that I had. They said okay.

Another week goes by. It has now been four weeks since I applied for the policy. I call them again. And I am extremely frustrated by all the nonsense. I just want my dog to have insurance. The woman on the phone explains that the policy isn't active yet. And that once they review the records I sent (a full week before) they can approve the policy, and THEN my two-week waiting period will START. So it will be six weeks minimum from the date I applied for the policy until my dog has coverage.

I told them not to bother and to delete all of my information from their databases. I ended up going with Embrace Pet Insurance. I'm much happier now. My coverage was active within two weeks of my application for the policy. I didn't have to call them repeatedly to get them to do the basic minimums of their jobs. The customer service reps at Nationwide were nice and professional. But the run-around from the company was absolutely the worst. I would never do business with them. In fact, I'm looking for new car insurance now as well because it infuriates me to give them even a dime. Run away. Run far away.

Original review: April 24, 2019

123% premium hike in one year! What else there to say? It's all in the title. I paid $326 last year and they want me to pay $728 this year. Get the ** OUT! Best of luck to you Nationwide... People won't pay that. Who in the world made this business decision at Nationwide?

Original review: April 14, 2019

I'm currently in rebuttal with this insurance company. I brought my dog for yearly routine teeth cleaning and during the exam, the doctor noticed a growth on her lip and asked me if I have ever noticed that. I mentioned that I thought it was a mole that she had it all this time. The doctor said it wasn't a mole and should be taken out to ensure it's not cancerous.

Since my dog is getting a teeth cleaning, it will be cheaper and safer to do it at the same time; so then agreed. $1500 later, this insurance denied my claim. They denied the teeth cleaning because they said she had tartar on her teeth prior to teeth cleaning and therefore, it's pre-existing condition. This doesn't make sense to me. It's a routine teeth cleaning and that's why I do the yearly teeth cleaning because they do get tartar on their teeth. They also told me that the tumor removal was pre-existing. I mentioned to them that all this time I thought it was a mole because she has had it, so when the doctor said it wasn't, and recommended to have it taken out then of course I would agree to it.

I sent a letter to them pleading my case, and of course took them over a month only to deny it again. Now they are claiming they changed their diagnosis from one diagnosis to the other for the tumor but still a pre-existing and that the teeth cleaning is still pre-existing because she had tartar and allergic reaction. What?? Now they are talking about an allergic reaction? What does that have anything to do with teeth cleaning?

I am so pissed at this company. They are good paying the small amount, but if your claim is a lot, they will find a way to make it pre-existing. I will be sending them another letter to let them know that this is unacceptable; and I expect to get paid for the services done and that I will also send a claim against them on BBB if they don't resolve the issue. I will continue to fight this claim because it's the principle that counts because they can't do this to people. I will cancel this insurance as soon as I can. Unfortunately, they don't allow you to cancel until a year after you signed up. Stay away from this insurance - sounds great at first because they pay 90% but for the services they felt worth paying. If you claim a large amount, they will send you a denial - stating it's "pre-existing" and will come up with some medical language that they hope you will not understand.

Resolution response: April 19, 2019

After three calls with three different reps, I got LUCKY! … the third rep actually helped and did a vet-to-vet thing where they got all the paperwork in without me having to do the leg work. She followed up every day and called me to give me a status daily.

I got full 90% reimbursement.

I upped them to 3 stars, because of the last rep but not more than 3 because of these continuing deficiencies:

1) Website says deductible is $100.. It's actually $250
    2) Still never gave me a valid reason why they wouldn't initially reimburse the wellness exam and had to wait for history.
    3) the fact that I had to go through 3 people to get some answers is ridiculous.

4) false information when you go through employer. They should disclose: Send history on January 1st so we stop scamming you out of premiums that we will not refund you if we later decide your dog has histories.

It really has been a horrible experience, but at my dog's age, I cant drop this insurance and go to another one. New dog comin next month, I'll stay away from these guys.

Literally how this experience has felt: Nationwide motto: Collect as much premium as you can, delay claims specially if they are going to decline, so you can collect more premium, Payout as least as possible.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Got it through employer. February do wellness check. Dog has heart murmur. I submit the exam. Wait and wait... At 28 days of waiting, I went ahead for EKG for heart murmur. Submitted claim for EKG too. 2 weeks later, magically both the wellness and EKG get reviewed on same day. Both require now 2 years of medical records. Well, why didnt you tell me this before I signed up? FOR EMPLOYER PROGRAMS, WE APPROVE EVERYONE AND THEN ASK FOR HISTORY ON FIRST CLAIM!!! So thanks for 3 months of payments, now we'll just turn you down.

Hey, she didn't have heart murmur before the wellness. Why won't you reimburse me for the first wellness exam? Oh well, 30 days later the EKG indicates that she had heart murmur... But you didn't know that until the second claim... Yeah, well.. Thanks for your $900 a year. We'll cover your vaccinations with our $250 deductible and try to never pay you. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCAM!!! EMPLOYERS SHOULD BE ASHAMED TO OFFER THIS.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I have had my pet insured since 2008 with pet insurance. Nationwide Pet Insurance bills me every month and has consistently never missed adjusting my premium during renewal time. During my insured time with Nationwide, when renewal time came around, I was never informed of any new plans available that I could purchase for my pet. Nationwide has failed to notify me, their customer, of new better plans but consistently raised my premiums. Now my pet is not eligible because he has pre-existing conditions and they won’t cover him for them. My pet is now suffering because Nationwide neglected to inform me an eleven year customer of newer better plans I could have chosen to protect him.

Original review: April 5, 2019

What a scam. My company listed pet insurance as a benefit so I checked it out. There were a few options so without waiting time reading I called Nationwide to walk me through signing up online. It was simple and asked what was covered to pick the right plan. Made a claim a few months later for teeth/dental services. Cost of $863.34 for everything. Deductible was $250. Thought great I'll get something back. Not the case. NOTHING??? Called in. They said it would take 30 days ok fine. Called back they said another 30 day to review???? Fine. Called again. They said it was almost completely within 30 days I should get a response???

In the end 74 days 2 1/2 months later they said it wasn't covered under my plan???? I had chosen this under guidance of an agent and still got scammed. I paid $52 per month for 6 months and no coverage in the end, no communicate through the process unless I made the phone call in. No email. No phone calls generated from Nationwide. They sent a letter in the mail to inform they will not be covering anything. So they stole $52 a month from me under false pretenses. Nationwide is the worse company I have ever dealt with.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Nationwide Pet Insurance is the worst. They will deny anything and everything claiming it’s pre-existing. We got a new puppy and signed up for Nationwide pet insurance. Our puppy had an episode of vomiting at about 4 months old which was treated at the vet with fluids and antibiotics. Nationwide denied the claim saying we had to prove the puppy didn’t have gastritis in the prior 6 months or it was automatically considered pre-existing. It didn’t matter that the puppy was literally not born 6 months ago and was in utero.

If we couldn’t prove that the puppy hadn’t been condition-free for 6 months then it’s considered pre-existing. That amounts to the fact that they basically don’t cover anything for the first 6 months if you get a puppy or a dog from a shelter that you have no vet history on. Then to add insult to injury, the puppy got another bout of gastritis at almost one year old. Yep, you guessed it—it was pre-existing because of the first time at 6 months. So after you have any problem that is considered pre-existing, it’s considered pre-existing forever. Of course, they say you can appeal to have a pre-existing condition removed but only after the dog has been free from that condition (without medication) for 18 months. Nationwide Pet Insurance is a scam. I wouldn’t buy any product from Nationwide because of the horrible experience we have had with the pet insurance.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Been with Nationwide since before Nationwide bought VPI. OK service on small claims. Just submitted my first big claim, $1800, and got the e-mail receipt that the company received the claim. A month later, I called to check on it; they claimed they never go it. Had to resubmit and their rep said they would "expedite" it. Normal claim turnaround is 30 days. 17 days later--still no action--the "expedite" line was a lie. Very disappointed. I would have been better off never buying this crap and just putting $50 a month into a separate savings account. That is what I will do next time I get a dog. Not wasting any more money on this greedy, unresponsive company.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Nationwide is really good at collecting your $ for years. And, as soon as you need them to cover pet's expenses they disappear arguing quite easily that nothing is under coverage. Per se, they refer to articles in their policy. In summary, do not subscribe to Nationwide. It is a money machine that does not care of your pets. It would be better to save $50 per month for 13 years to cover your pet's medical expenses. Very disappointing and will NEVER will do anything with this company for any type of insurance.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I chose Nationwide Pet Insurance because of their good standing as an insurance company. They may be good with home & auto, but they're TERRIBLE with their Pet Insurance. I have been waiting for reimbursement of vet bills totaling over $2,000.00 since October 31, 2018. It's been 6 MONTHS now and I still have yet to be reimbursed. I have done everything that Nationwide has requested of me. In fact, I've sent medical records to them through email, as well as snail mail, and my vet has also sent them my dog's medical records. I've even been understanding when they told me they needed an additional 30 days to review my dog's records.

After hearing nothing from them for the 30 days, I called for the 6th time to see what the problem is now. My dog's information is still "in review" according to the person on the phone. And she has no idea when they'll get around to reimburse me. I will NEVER USE A NATIONWIDE PRODUCT. I paid for all of my dog's medical insurance up front and this is the thanks I get?! Never Again! I wouldn't even give 1 star for Nationwide Pet Insurance. IT'S A BIG SHAM!

Original review: March 22, 2019

I originally started with VPI over 11 years ago when I first adopted my dog. They were, in my opinion, a fair company. A few years ago, VPI became Nationwide and I kept them thinking I would get the same customer service. That was a HUGE mistake. I paid over $100 a month (for one pet) over the course of 11 years. That’s over $13,200. My dog recently passed in November from leptospirosis complications and was in the hospital for a week and a half. The total bill came to almost $21,000 and Nationwide has so generously reimbursed me a whopping $3,000. I say that last part with pure sarcasm. I would have been better off, as others have stated, putting the money into a savings account each month. In speaking with someone at the veterinary hospital back in November, they even said Nationwide is among the worst with pet insurance. Please, stay away from this company!

Original review: March 12, 2019

I filed a complaint with my state business department, but you should avoid this insurance company at all costs. They delayed my claim for over 3 months before denying it based on ‘pre-existing conditions.’ Which is BS. My healthy 4-year-Old cat needed her teeth cleaned. The vet claimed there could be a chance they would need to pull teeth, but they wouldn’t know prior to cleaning. They ended up pulling three teeth but Nationwide denied entire claim stating the need for a cleaning was a pre-existing condition to teeth being pulled. Explain how that makes any sense. Teeth cleaning is basic care.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Pet insurance in general is known to be a gamble, but Nationwide has perfected the claim denial game. I am a physician, so I know a thing or two about medicine and can speak the language. Our Boston came to us with diarrhea when he was about two years old. At age 6, he went through a spell of not eating and lost some weight. He never got a formal diagnosis from the vet, and eventually just started eating normally again. We filed a claim and it was denied due to "pre-existing condition."

They said his anorexia was the SAME as his diarrhea years earlier. Then they went so far as to provide a long list of vague and general "diagnoses" that they would never cover in his lifetime. I repeatedly asked them for medical evidence to support their assertions that his transient condition had anything to do with the long list of "conditions" they were refusing to cover in the future. Needless to say, we've cancelled our policy and are giving another company a try.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Do not use this plan. My husband and I are new pet owners and we take most of the responsibility for not doing enough research or simply reading the reviews sent here. We have been paying $35 a month for our Major Medical plan plus the initial $60 plus to sign-up fees. Unfortunately, we didn't consider the fact that coverage for surgery does not kick it until we've been with the plan for 1 year. Our 7-month old English bulldog desperately needed an operation which cost $950. Because we are in the first 6 months of our policy it is not covered, but after reading further into our policy it says it will not cover more than $550 in the life of the term. $550 is NO MONEY at all for pet procedures. Cancelling immediately, keep looking, because this is not what you want.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I have had health insurance since my dogs were puppies. It started off as VPI then became Nationwide. My English Bulldog Claude recently became ill by aspirating a toxic bacteria. He has to spend 10 days in the ICU on oxygen therapy and various antibiotics. The vet was optimistic he would recover. On the 10th day he took a turn for the worse and passed away. The bills totaled $14,000 and Nationwide paid out $740. I was scammed and duped into paying my $54 a month premium for absolutely NOTHING! This insurance is a total scam. After 5 attempts to have the claim reviewed Nationwide flat out denied everything! CONSUMERS BEWARE.

Nationwide Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1982, when Veterinary Pet Insurance issued their first policy on TV star Lassie, this company has insured more than 1 million pets. Their commitment to making quality vet care affordable is backed by the financial stability of one of the world's largest insurance companies, Nationwide.

• Emergency help line: Emergencies can happen at any time, so having access to those trained in veterinary medicine 24/7 can make all the difference. Veterinary Pet Insurance offers free access to its help line with any of its policies.

• Tiered service plans: Veterinary care can be expensive, even when only looking at annual routine care. This company offers plans that cover everything from routine maintenance to comprehensive coverage.

• Exotic pets covered: In addition to their plans that cover dogs and cats, this pet health insurance company also offers coverage for everything from sugar gliders to opossums.

• Immediate coverage: Many pet insurance plans have a waiting period between enrollment and effective coverage date. With Veterinary Pet Insurance, coverage begins 24 hours after receiving payment.

• No networks: Use the vet you are most comfortable with and take control of the treatment plan. Covered services are always covered, with no pre-approvals needed.

• Best for: Dog lovers, cat lovers, exotic pet owners and multi-pet households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky