Nationwide Pet Insurance

Compare Pet Insurance Providers

Research top Pet Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I choose Nationwide due to my employer providing and also speaking to representatives of Nationwide beforehand which basically told us submitting a claim was easy and simple generally paid within 2 weeks time. We had the full coverage and wellness for the dogs. I had three dogs on the policy that are well taken care of. When we placed a claim for one of our Pomeranians to have her teeth cleaned through the vet (as recommended) for the first time (as she generally had her teeth cleaned at the dog spa with her grooming). She had no extractions and was in very good health. After submitting the claim and following up with Nationwide they finally sent a request two weeks later requesting her medical record. The record was sent three times and in the system that takes 48 hours to update. Extremely old and outdated system.

I then spoke to a Manager and stated this was a simple procedure and her first time she has no pre-existing conditions and that it had been over two weeks since the claim was submitted. The manager, "Marsha" said she would place a rush on reviewing the record and get back to me. Two weeks later after I had followed-up up several times and was told two different responses from customer service I then asked to speak to the manager again she left a voicemail two and a half weeks later that Nationwide denied the claim (saying a preexisting condition) (my Pomeranian had no pre-existing conditions) and it was her first time to be put under anesthesia and have her teeth cleaned.

She had no extractions and was basically given an antibiotic due to a small fracture seen in one of her teeth for precaution. Needless to say after spending a months worth of pet insurance for three dogs, receiving lousy customer service with Nationwide and after spending close to a $1K that month we received $50 towards our deductible and basically told them to cancel the insurance policy. If I could rate a 0 flat out I would have. Not worth it after reading all these reviews and wish I read beforehand. Moving on to a better company. Bye Nationwide.

DO not sign up for pet insurance through Nationwide Pet Insurance. They charge an arm and a leg and tell you they will cover you and your pet and then they dont after the procedure is over. They are rude over the phone and are thieves. Save your money and your heartache.

The only reason I gave it a 1 is because they were previously VPI insurance and I had no complaints. Do not use Nationwide. I wish I had done the research and read these reviews prior. I have had them for 10 years. The premiums have gone up tremendously and not only do they reject 98% of my claims, they have paid almost close to nothing when a claim is approved. For example, on a $100 claim, if they accept it, they send you a check for $5.00. They make up exclusions that are conveniently not on the policy packet you receive when signing up. Please save your money and take it to a better business. I have a small claims pending! They shouldn't be allowed to do this!

We have two dogs insured with Nationwide. Lona is 10 years old and Mattie is 9 years old. We have had Lona since she was a puppy and the insurance coverage for her is solid. Absolutely no complaints. Mattie is another story. We rescued her when she was 7 years old in July 2105. Initially there were multiple issues. Understandably, there were startup issues: vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Mattie was really stressed after being uprooted from her home of 7 years where she was well cared for.

She was dropped off at a rescue site. Due to the large number of dogs, the rescue staff does mass feeding. Her weight dropped from 48 lbs to 34 lbs. She was not mistreated in any way - she is a very slow eater and as we discovered later, does not tolerate a chicken-based diet and needs small kibble food. Since we had a positive experience with Lona at VPI [now Nationwide], we signed up Mattie for insurance there, too. Due to the myriad of start up issues introducing Mattie to a new household, there were a lot of exclusions on the policy the first year. That actually made sense to us. However, we did not expect that these exclusions would continue into the 2nd and 3rd year.

Mattie has not thrown up or had diarrhea in over 18 months; yet, the company will not remove the exclusion for Gastroenterology even though the policy states if the condition is treatment free after six months, it will do that. When I asked the rationale, underwriting responding that since we give her a grain-free diet, they are justified in continuing the exclusion. Was told their records show our Vet recommended the food which is not true. I researched several different brands and chose this commercially available food. It is not a prescription food and one that I, not the Vet, chose. He did confirm this with the company. By the way, it is the same food that we feed our other dog who does not have this exclusion on her policy. I even challenged Nationwide that their actions really go against people getting rescue animals. Something I think a pet-oriented company would support. In summary, I cannot recommend the company for anyone who has a rescue animal.

I purchased my plan through my work as a benefit. I purchased the pet insurance through VPI for my 2 beagles. We were happy with the service and coverage, as well as the cost for the 2 dogs. Unknown to us VPI changed to Nationwide. We found this out after submitting a claim and it was not covered, when it was covered in the past. And our cost went way up. Now, every time we submit a claim there are always some type of explanation why things were not covered. They usually blame it on the deductible not being met. When we looked through all our past claims they only applied $24.00 toward the deductible for the first 6 months of the year. We submitted several hundred dollars in claims during that time and only $24 was applied. Looks to me that they intentionally do not apply anything to the deductible throughout the year so the deductible is never met and claims do not have to be paid.

I am paying $73 each month for each dog. I have the medium coverage with a rider and can barely get reimbursement. Seems a bit like fraud to me. Now we are stuck with it and can't change to another pet insurance company due to pre-existing conditions and age (7 and 9). If someone is considering purchasing Nationwide Pet Insurance I strongly urge you to explore other companies. STAY AWAY FROM NATIONWIDE PET INSURANCE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

I signed my Labrador up for insurance when I first got her. I did my research and went with VPI. They were great and I was very happy with them. The plan was good and payments made sense. Since Nationwide Pet Insurance has taken over, the percentage of a bill that they are willing to cover has gone way down. It's a fight to get anything paid and when you call for explanations they hide behind several pages of rate explanations. Unfortunate for many pet owners you are trapped and cannot change policies due to preexisting conditions. So your only two choices are to except the fact that you are paying for a bad policy or to go without insurance for your pet. So please do your research and not rely on the good reputation that VPI had. Be sure to look at this company from the point Nationwide took over.

When we adopted our dog, we thought that we would invest in pet insurance for those big ticket items that could set us back. Long story short, Nationwide decided that our dog had an allergy condition and this was a pre-existing condition and not covered. They manage to link every vet visit to the pre existing condition and deny the claim. I would have been better off saving my $42 a month premium and paying it out of there. This company is such a scam.

Their CSR's and supervisors are so well trained too. No emotion, no feeling, just scripted answers. I told the supervisor that I was tired of sending my premiums to them and Peyton Manning. This gal said nothing. Like a zombie. Anyway, I'm thinking about switching. Do not buy this insurance. They are allowed to deny claims based on pre-existing conditions. Our pre-existing is allergies. What happens if he develops cancer? All they have to do is link it to allergies and, BAM! DENIED! Broken Leg (from scratching) BAM! Allergies... DENIED.

Do not buy, they advertise covering 90%, but they don't tell you the allocated amount is super low. Figure if lucky to get back 50%. Recently had to put my dog to rest, $595 bill got reimbursed $64. Much better choices the VPI – Nationwide.

We used VPI for our last dog and had great service so when we got a new dog we used them again. Then they became Nationwide. The plan costs the same but you get way less. Our Dalmatian just had to have $3500 surgery for urate stones. We got $825!! What the heck? I called them and they said that urate stones are not covered. Why not? I would switch to PetPlan, which covers everything, but now he has a "pre-existing condition". So we're stuck with this plan. Or we could switch to something else and hope his prescription food keeps him from getting stones again. I thought "major medical" was just that. I wonder how many other things just suddenly aren't covered. Someone mentioned class action suit.

Do not use Nationwide. I wish I had done the research and read these reviews prior. I have had them for 2 years and after incurring several large vet bills, they spent a month and a half processing my claims. After that period, they rejected all and paid nothing. They make up exclusions that are conveniently not on the policy packet you receive when signing up. Please save your money and take it elsewhere. I have cancelled all of my policies.

Nationwide was very disingenuous, deliberating giving us the runaround to refuse coverage, which we think was age related. In late May 2017, we tried to apply to Nationwide's new Wellness Plan for our 9-year-old West Highland Terrier (Edgar). Though healthy dog with no pre-existing conditions, they spotted an prior incident in his records of vomiting. At the time, our vet considered it as a minor stomach problem and recommended treatment with an OTC Pepsin. Edgar never experienced the vomiting again. However, Nationwide labeled the condition as a serious "bilious vomiting disorder".

After our vet wrote and confirmed that this was not serious, only a single occurrence, Nationwide continued to decline his eligibility due to having an Over-the-Counter Pepsin on his records.They wasted so much of our and our vet's time by constantly requesting more information without any intention of allowing insurance eligibility. Review about: Nationwide Wellness Insurance.

My puppy got pneumonia in March. After $10K in treatments, it took Nationwide Pet Insurance until the end of June to deny the claims. They said since she had a stuffy nose prior, the pneumonia was a pre-existing condition and will not cover ANY of the treatment. From what I have read, many people have been scammed the same way and denied the coverage they paid for. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND Nationwide Pet Insurance!

I purchased Pet insurance for my dog. It took almost 2 months for Nationwide to approve my application. Then about 2 months after I had the policy, I put new flooring in my home and my dog injured herself when she jumped off the bed. She had to have surgery on her elbow. The insurance claimed it to be a preexisting condition. So nothing was covered. Not the original vet visit or the x-ray. Not the surgery or the follow up or any of the Meds. And the worst part is they would not even apply the $4000 I paid out toward my $250 deductible. Save your money and don't waste your time. It took them over a month to process the claim. I cancelled the insurance immediately.

I purchased pet insurance on my first dog about 4 years ago. I recently adopted/rescued my second dog. Nationwide has NEVER covered any claim on my first pet. My second dog was seen by the vet and deemed healthy. About a month later I took him in and he needed 2 antibiotics, steroid shot and medications. I submitted the claim for over $500.00. They have continued to contact me for additional vet records for the past year. I don't have any. They required a letter from me showing I just adopted him and they are now taking 30 days to review. They always want to quote you the policy when you call before they will answer any questions. I feel they look for any reason to delay or deny claims. I am paying over $70.00 a month for both dogs in good health. There is also a deductible of $250.00... wondering which is cheaper... just roll the dice that they do not get a terminal disease... Very frustrating.

If I could give 0 stars I would. In March 2017, I decided to enroll in pet insurance through my job. My policy took effect May 1, 2017. Unfortunately, my dog had to have her right ACL surgery in April (so I knew that the pet insurance would do no good for this). While rehabbing her right leg, she tore her left ACL. Because this is such a big problem with dogs of all sizes, I figured, okay my insurance will cover her the 2nd time around. I went to the vet yesterday (June 15) and we scheduled to do her left ACL surgery on June 27th. This is after they took a X-ray of her right leg and decided it was good to go.

I called Nationwide to discuss how I file a claim for the X-ray. I was explaining to the representative what had happened, and what was going to happen with the upcoming surgery. She informed me that you have to have pet insurance for one year before you can file for any surgeries. That's a whole load of crap. So I was paying for insurance that I won't need in a couple years. That's like me enrolling for healthcare with my children and being told, "Sorry you can't use your kids healthcare for a year..." Needless to say, I do not recommend or prefer to use Nationwide for anything else.

Since Nationwide took over from VPI they have consistently increased reduced coverage and increased premiums. But the worst is that they deny nearly every claim with some spurious "reason". I have complained, I have threatened them with the California Attorney's General to little avail. Our cat is 17 years old and we have been paying her insurance since she was five, for just such an instance when she would need care towards the end of her life. That is the contract we make with the insurance companies and that is the contract they have broken. I hope that someone can bring them to justice. Class action lawsuit anyone?

I have had 2 policies for my pets for nearly 13 yrs. with VPI (now Nationwide). I've never complained about pricing or anything for that fact, but recently my payments went up almost $20.00 per policy a month. This may not seem like a lot but for a payment to jump that much I figured there would be a valid reason why. So, I called Nationwide to find out and the only reason I was given is "your dogs are older". OK, well they have been older for a while now. I can see maybe a couple dollars in increase but almost $20, is what I asked and the responses I was given are "you can downgrade", "you can cancel", "you can pay higher deductibles"...

None of which benefit me in any way or give me a better explanation or dollar breakdown of why the increase is almost $20.00. I was offered a 5% discount, not because the increase isn't fair or that there is no good explanation for it, but because I work for a "big company". This is not fair to me or the current policyholders with Nationwide.

I now see the reality of insurance companies taking advantage of their policyholders. I was basically told "pay or cancel when you break it all down." My dogs are both 13 years old, I don't have many options here. No other insurance company will insure them at this age. I was also told that "it's not just your policy, it's everyone's" as if the fact that all of Nationwide's policy holders are being taken advantage of is supposed to make me feel better or make it okay.

When I engaged Nationwide for my 5 year old akita in February 2017, I was informed that routine dental cleaning was included in the wellness plan. I ended up enrolling in two programs to ensure both she and I would be covered. WRONG! I had her teeth cleaned and Nationwide has denied paying for it because she had tartar and they are stating it’s a pre-existing condition. They are also refusing to cover the tooth extractions and the medication which they all stated initially was covered.

I've paid an annual premium of $1,070.00 for absolutely nothing, but to pad the pockets of an unethical company. Let me ask anyone - why would you go to a dentist unless you required a cleaning? When I enrolled and spent 45 minutes on the phone with their customer service - the agent told me several times that dental cleaning was covered. Their website boasts how they cover these procedures, and compare themselves to other companies and why they are so much better.

It's all a lie - they take advantage of people and enroll you under false pretenses. In attempt to speak with supervisors, they keep you on hold for 1/2 hour and then when someone finally responds they make it obvious that they have no intention of serving the client and/or finding a way to offer a solution. I'm planning on filing a complaint with the Calif. Dept. of Insurance and cancelling this policy - the lack of integrity and accountability by this company is staggering. Nationwide has misrepresented its coverage, is not an honorable company and should not be in business.

I got this insurance for my new puppy when he was three months old. It went fine until he had to actually use it for something big. He fell off of our bed and broke his growth plate. He had to have extreme orthopedic surgery and plates put his leg because unfortunately it developed into a worse situation of elbow dysplasia. Note here; Primary diagnosis: break to growth plate from fall. Secondary diagnosis: elbow dysplasia from fall and break to growth plate. Elbow dysplasia is often a hereditary condition and especially in English Bulldogs and unfortunately for the situation, that is the breed he is. However, this is not due to hereditary conditions, this is due to trauma from the fall.

Nationwide put: Primary diagnosis: Elbow dysplasia. Secondary diagnosis; Surgery for elbow dysplasia, angular limb deformity. This mentions absolutely nothing about trauma from the fall to a broken growth plate. They go straight in to what happened after that which is all secondary and could also be misconstrued as hereditary. When I first called Nationwide, the nice gentleman on the phone assured me it would not be a problem and I should even send the claim for plates for $2800 right off the bat so it wouldn't take as long to get some money back upfront. That was the end of niceness. They held onto that claim along with every other piece of paperwork. Both vet, vet surgeon, as well as myself, sent them from the time he was born until now. Basically, every time anybody has ever seen him for anything.

After holding onto all of this for 45 days and asking for more of the same stuff in between, they sent me the notice that they will be paying zero. They discriminate against certain breeds and I told the Nationwide lady this on the phone. I even saw in another review that the lady with the cavalier had the same type of issues with discrimination of breed. At first it was all due to this being a hereditary condition, but then when I argued that, they moved onto the 12 month period of certain situations not being covered. NOW they say it had nothing to do with it being hereditary. Yet, that 12 month rule definitely covers an acute broken growth plate. It does not cover a hereditary condition, so once again, we are in the hereditary area, just re-worded.

I called several times and asked to speak to the manager, whom they would never put me on the phone with. She did send a message thru her representative to have my vet call their vet services department. My vet did this, more than happy to do so feeling they were treating both me and my dog poorly, and that hopefully they misunderstood the situation. He called me back after the conversation very discouraged and told me they wouldn't listen to anything he said and all they would say is "it's not covered." These are their veterinary professionals. LOL. He told me I should contact an attorney.

Both Vet and Vet surgeon felt this is an acute condition that should have been covered. They are so gross. I'm in the process of taking legal action against them now. Find a better pet insurance company. The vet surgeon told me I would have had no trouble at all if I would have used the company he has for his pets. We agreed Nationwide has knowledge in home and cars, not animals.

I have had VPI pet insurance on my dog since 2005. I had no problems until Nationwide took over VPI. My rates always increased each year with VPI but I expected it as my dog aged and it wasn't a significant amount. VPI paid claims as I generally expected and I felt safe knowing I had the insurance so that I could provide care for my dog if or when something major happened.

However, this year under Nationwide, my premium has gone up $15 bucks per month which is the highest increase for a renewal I have had to my recollection. I called and the rep told me because my dog was 14 it would start costing much more because the insurance company was assuming more risk. Well, in my career I have dealt with insurance quite a bit so I understand that aspect, however now I'm faced with having to drop the policy altogether after having this coverage for over a decade. Nationwide has proven they do not care about your pet's health, but their profit. I am spending $80 per month for coverage and also noticed when I filed my last claim that it did not cover as much as what I expected based on past claims of a similar nature.

I will look into other pet insurance companies but I feel like I will not be able to get coverage under a new company with the age of my dog. It's ridiculous that I've been so loyal to VPI all these years and in one fell swoop Nationwide has destroyed that loyalty. It seems like their strategy is to jack up costs so high for older dogs to force owners to drop the coverage, thereby making their assumed risk lower. I will never use Nationwide for anything, including car or home insurance and that is based off family and friends' bad experiences with Nationwide in general not based solely off of this situation. Nationwide is definitely not on my side.

We got our lovely dog Henry, a beautiful toy Australian shepherd last year so I decided to choose the highest possible plan listed (Major Medical Plan). There were NO other plans listed higher than that one. I later find out there is a plan that was not an option which covers spay and neutering. One of the main reasons I wanted health insurance to begin with. Henry has Cryptorchidism, which basically means one testicle did not drop and they need to remove one from the abdomen. It's basically double the amount because it's another incision $700 dollars. For what should be a routine neuter on a 7.3 lbs dog. Typically $250 - $300 surgery. NATIONWIDE COVERS 0% of all spay and neutering!!! Be warned!

I have had this pet insurance for 10 1/2 years. I had the cancer coverage as a cautionary plan. So when my beloved Coach was diagnosed with lung cancer I felt secure knowing that we could get him the best care. Up until this time Coach has been a very healthy dog. Imagine my surprise when our bill was $9000 thousand dollars and was only covered at $2000 thousands dollars. Surely this must be a error so I resubmitted the claim and they told me this is all they cover. Moving forward I had to put my Coach to sleep a couple of months later.

I called to cancelled my insurance and was told in the future make sure you use us if you decide to get another pet. I said, "Oh no I won't being using you." She said, "Why?" Because your coverage is limited and covered hardly anything. Then this is the topper. She said, "Yeah you had a very old policy. We cover 90% now." You mean to tell me at after all the times I have called over the 10 years no one ever recommend to change my policy? I paid top dollar for an old policy when it could have been updated? Unbelievably I am very disappointed.

My shih tzu, Gizmo had a cornea ulcer which is very common in these dogs. This can happen even from being groomed and eyes not being rinsed well. This is our first claim. I have had this insurance for two years. They canceled me without even giving a reason... just said "you are canceled". Btw, it is healed. He got a clean bill of health and it finally healed. I am LIVID. Now I get this letter on April 21 and it was dated April 6. They have always contacted me on email and I DID not receive a thing. He is 9 and this is a time when he really needs insurance as he is aging. What is even worse, I probably won't be able to get him insurance through a reputable company. I was recommended to this company by the LAFD. Is there an insurance commissioner that handles pet insurance?

They have no problem taking your monthly payment, but when it comes time to submit a claim. NOTHING. I went through hoops and spoke with several managers in order to see if the procedure I was going to have done on my dog was going to be covered. They will not tell you by looking at a quote if you will be covered. They make you go through with the procedure then submit the final receipt only to then deny you. They are crooks literally. Taking our money.

My family bought VPI pet insurance, now Nationwide when we got our dog over 6 years ago. We have a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel and wanted to be prepared if she developed any health issues. We have been paying for over 6 years and about a month ago, my dog was diagnosed with a heart condition. Nationwide denied our claim telling us that it is not covered because she is a Cavalier and it heart conditions are common in this breed. In their material they called it a hereditary condition. However, I didn't know hereditary means common to the breed and not having it is the breeding line. Had my husband and I known this was the case we would have never paid for insurance for 6 years only to have nothing. They advertise they cover hereditary condition but consumers should beware because they don't.

Prior to getting the Pet Insured they said, "No problem." Now that I filed a Insurance Claim they told me that my pet dog had a pre-existing tooth condition and is not covered. They SOLD me on the BOGUS POLICY stating there would be "No Problem" with pet coverage, just needed to pay the monthly fees. BIG MISTAKE, going to file a Formal Complaint Against them for misleading me. $884.00 Lost plus monthly fees of $66.00 all for nothing. You're much better off setting up a side bank account every month to take care of your pet’s needs.

It is impossible to get reimbursed for an animal illness. My 7 year old Newfoundland had worms at 6 months of age called enteropathy and was see and treated by my vet. Now at 7 years of age she has vomiting on exertion and they will not pay the claim because they believe it is related to the enteropathy -- worms, that she had at 6 months of age. I would advise anyone to NOT use Nationwide Pet Insurance EVER. Save your money and put it in a pet savings account to pay for your animal's illnesses. This company is a ripoff and will take your money and you will pay in full for your animal's illness! This company function far better when it was VIP Pet insurance before Nationwide took it over.

I purchased a pet insurance policy for my dog in November of 2016. I paid every premium on time. My dog ended up getting very sick about two months later. Thank god I have insurance... NOPE! Immediately after I file large claims a Nationwide PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR calls me for a recorded statement. She grills me on some trivial mistake I made on the application. Then DELAY DELAY DELAY. They waited nearly four months before retroactively rescinding my policy because of some minor error on my application. I am currently looking for an attorney and have submitted complaints to the department of insurance and to the department of justice. THEY ARE AWFUL. DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID. READ THE REVIEWS HERE. THEY ARE TRUE.

I left Healthy Paws and went to Nationwide Pet Insurance because they supposedly covered wellness and dental. They made me and my Veterinarian jump through too many hoops over and over but seemed to cover nothing, nor apply anything towards the deductible of $250. They didn't have a problem taking their premium payments though. They are not the company they claim to be. In my opinion, they false advertise. I canceled my policy with them today and went back to healthy paws. I never had a problem with healthy paws, I was only looking for the addition of wellness/dental coverage. My rating for nationwide equals minus stars!

I read other reviews and went against what they said. I was wrong. Picked up our new puppy from the breeder, puppy had a small cough so I thought maybe kennel cough so I took him into the vet and had an exam. Found out the puppy had a collapse trachea. Never knew about it so I had some x-rays done to verify and submitted the claim. I bought the top of the line insurance policy paying 70.00 a month. Didn't know the puppy had this problem and the breeder never mentioned anything. Claim was denied. I was stuck with a 700 hundred dollar vet bill.

Fought with them for two months. They stated it was pre-existing even though I didn't know about it or the breeder. Read other reviews they say the same thing. Everything is pre-existing so they don't have to pay out now or later. I spent a lot of time getting all the required paperwork and went out of my way to explain the situation. STAY AWAY, DONT BUY INSURANCE FROM THEM. READ REVIEWS.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Founded in 1982, when Veterinary Pet Insurance issued their first policy on TV star Lassie, this company has insured more than 1 million pets. Their commitment to making quality vet care affordable is backed by the financial stability of one of the world's largest insurance companies, Nationwide.

• Emergency help line: Emergencies can happen at any time, so having access to those trained in veterinary medicine 24/7 can make all the difference. Veterinary Pet Insurance offers free access to its help line with any of its policies.
  • Tiered service plans: Veterinary care can be expensive, even when only looking at annual routine care. This company offers plans that cover everything from routine maintenance to comprehensive coverage.
  • Exotic pets covered: In addition to their plans that cover dogs and cats, this pet health insurance company also offers coverage for everything from sugar gliders to opossums.
  • Immediate coverage: Many pet insurance plans have a waiting period between enrollment and effective coverage date. With Veterinary Pet Insurance, coverage begins 24 hours after receiving payment.
  • No networks: Use the vet you are most comfortable with and take control of the treatment plan. Covered services are always covered, with no pre-approvals needed.
  • Best for Dog lovers, cat lovers, exotic pet owners and multi-pet households.

Compare Pet Insurance