3.9/5 (617 ratings)

About Nationwide Pet Insurance

Nationwide Pet Insurance, previously known as Veterinary Pet Insurance, or VPI, provides coverage for dogs, cats and exotic animals. Exotic animal plans cover birds, reptiles, amphibians, rodents and goats. Pet owners can choose from four insurance plans, including basic coverage and full wellness coverage. Costs are reasonable, and the company offers discounts. Customers can get free quotes online for dog and cat insurance but need to call Nationwide for exotic pet insurance quotes.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Multipet discounts
    • No maximum age limit
    • Covers exotic pets
    • Wellness coverage

Cons

• No online quotes for exotic pets
    • Limited plans for older pets

Bottom Line

Nationwide Pet Insurance covers dogs, cats and exotic animals, offering basic plans and comprehensive wellness coverage. Nationwide offers coverage to pets of any age, though plans are limited for older animals.

Top Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I adopted a kitten in June of 2017 and purchased the Whole Pet with Wellness plan for him. ... It turned out my cat was cryptorchid and had to undergo surgery. ... I spent almost ...

Verified

I have had Nationwide Pet Insurance for my two beagles for 8+ years. Nationwide reimbursed the majority of expenses associated with my Charlie’s splenectomy, cancer and associated...

How does Nationwide Pet Insurance work?

Nationwide acquired VPI Pet Insurance, also called VPI, in 2014. For pet owners whose pets need medical care, Nationwide Pet Insurance can help save thousands of dollars through reimbursement of veterinarian bills.

Request a quote online through Nationwide’s secure site or by phone. To get started, provide your ZIP code and your pet’s name, age and breed. Nationwide Pet Insurance then provides a quote for review. There is a 14-day waiting period for coverage after making your first payment.

Nationwide Pet Insurance plans

Nationwide Pet Insurance offers four major plans for cats and dogs: Major Medical, Major Medical with Wellness, Whole Pet and Whole Pet with Wellness. Each plan includes nose-to-tail coverage, though conditions vary based on the plan type selected. All of these plans have a fixed deductible of $250.

Major Medical
    The most economical of Nationwide’s pet insurance plans, Major Medical covers basic accidents and illnesses and allows pet owners to use any veterinarian or hospital they like. The annual deductible for this plan is fixed at $250, and annual benefits are predefined depending on the condition. The Major Medical plan is not always available to older pets.
    Major Medical with Wellness
    A step up from the Major Medical plan, Nationwide’s Major Medical with Wellness plan also includes wellness exams, vaccinations, bloodwork and illness prevention. As with the Major Medical plan, the annual deductible is $250, and annual benefit limits depend on the condition. This plan is not always available to older pets.
    Whole Pet
    An option for older pets, Nationwide’s Whole Pet plan includes all the benefits of the Major Medical plan but adds some dental, behavioral, prescription and holistic treatment coverage. The annual deductible is fixed at $250 with $10,000 total annual benefits.
    Whole Pet with Wellness
    Nationwide’s most comprehensive and most customizable policy, Whole Pet with Wellness has a wide range of coverage. While the annual deductible is set at $250 and annual benefits are unlimited, pet owners have the option to adjust their reimbursement level from 90% to 70% or 50%. A lower reimbursement percentage lowers the cost of this plan.

Note that the above plans may not be available for exotic pets. Nationwide requires owners of birds, reptiles, rodents and other exotic pets to call a Nationwide Pet Insurance customer service representative to receive information about plans, coverage and costs.

Nationwide Pet Insurance coverage

Nationwide Pet Insurance covers accidents and illnesses and can also include preventive medicine, dental care, spaying, neutering and behavioral treatments. Nationwide’s most comprehensive plan, Whole Pet with Wellness, is the most expensive, but it also provides maximum benefits for pets of all types.

Compare coverage of Nationwide’s pet insurance plans:

Major MedicalMM + WellnessWhole PetWP + Wellness
    Major Medical
    MM + Wellness
    Whole Pet
    MP + Wellness

While each Nationwide Pet Insurance policy type has its advantages, many pet owners opt for the Major Medical with Wellness or Whole Pet with Wellness plan so their pets are fully covered.

Currently, Nationwide Pet Insurance does not cover:

• Preexisting conditions
    • Grooming, including nail trims and shampoos
    • Expenses not directly related to the veterinary bill, like credit card fees
    • Certain plan restrictions based on specific policy type

Nationwide Pet Insurance defines preexisting conditions as injuries or illnesses that occurred before coverage started. This exclusion includes some hereditary conditions.

At Nationwide Pet Insurance, dogs and cats won’t be dropped from coverage based on their age or the number of claims filed.

How much does Nationwide Pet Insurance cost?

Nationwide Pet Insurance quotes vary depending on the plan you choose, but Nationwide dog insurance costs between $35 and $60 per month for most breeds, while cat insurance costs between $13 and $46. For dogs and cats, customers get a free quote online, but if you’re looking into Nationwide’s exotic pet insurance, you need to call for a quote.

Nationwide Pet Insurance's prices vary based on the breed and age of your pet. If you’re looking for a low-cost plan, consider choosing one with a variable reimbursement percentage. Unlike most pet insurance providers, Nationwide Pet Insurance offers reimbursement percentages as low as 50%, which lets customers pay more out of pocket for a vet bill but less in their monthly premiums.

Discounts are available to policyholders who enroll two or more pets or those who are already members of Nationwide.

Nationwide Pet Insurance FAQ

Does Nationwide Pet Insurance cover spaying?
    Yes, the Whole Pet with Wellness plans offers coverage for spaying or neutering. The Whole Pet, Major Medical and the Major Medical with Wellness plans do not cover this service for any pet.
    Does Nationwide Pet Insurance cover emergency visits?
    Depending on the condition that needs treatment, some Nationwide Pet Insurance plans do cover emergency visits, which includes accidents and illnesses. Call a Nationwide customer service representative for more information.
    Does Nationwide Pet Insurance cover dental cleanings?
    The Whole Pet and Whole Pet with Wellness plans cover dental cleanings, but not all of Nationwide’s pet insurance plans do.
    Where can I find a Nationwide Pet Insurance claim form?
    To file a Nationwide Pet Insurance claim, policyholders visit the website or the VitusVet app. On the website, policyholders can download and complete the form and then return it and any paid invoices via email, fax or mail.

Is Nationwide Pet Insurance good?

Nationwide offers affordable pet insurance for dogs, cats and exotic animals. Although coverage is available for older animals, plans may be limited and premiums may be high. If you already have a policy with Nationwide or are looking to insure multiple pets, expect to receive discounts.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Original review: April 20, 2022

Our 10 month old puppy when we adopted her from a shelter back in 2015 unknowingly came to us with the kidneys of a 13 year old dog. We added her to our already in place for our cats Nationwide Pet Insurance account. We understood that she had a pre existing condition and most of her bills for 6-1/2 years were not paid. I was surprised when they didn’t pay for her euthanasia and cremation though since it’s not a disease it’s the end of the life of a happy full-of-love 10-lb dog.

When I called them their excuse was that she died of her kidney disease so they won’t pay the bill. Yes, she died of her disease but at that moment when she took her last breath the reason was euthanasia/cremation and should NOT have anything to do with her lifelong disease. We will be looking to change our two cat’s insurance.

Original review: March 10, 2022

I found a kitten in my yard a few months ago and decided to keep her. She seemed perfectly healthy but we got Nationwide Pet Insurance right off the bat just in case she had any health problems down the road. At her first vet appointment, she was diagnosed with a heart murmur and sent for an Electrocardiogram (EKG) to determine the extent of the issue. I called Nationwide before the procedure and was told that while they cannot pre-approve procedures they thought the EKG would be covered. Fast forward 3 months later and I received the final determination from Nationwide that they will NOT cover the EKG because the heart murmur is a pre-existing condition.

The company advised that because I did not buy the policy before she was born, the heart murmur falls under their pre-existing condition clause. I explained that the issue was found on her first vet visit when she was at best a few months old but they said that they will never cover any health issue that started before the policy and because she was born with this, we would have had to buy the policy before she was born, let alone before she was found.

Nationwide's refusal to pre-authorize procedures and testing before they are completed leaves customers vulnerable to incurring large vet bills that they cannot pay. I cannot see any value in continuing to pay them monthly premiums knowing that they will likely find some awful policy loophole to get out of paying future claims.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

My Scottie terrier died on January 19, 2022 due from cancer and being euthanized. Many tests were done for making this decision (Garrison Animal Care Clinic & Wheat Ridge Animal Hospital). Now FedEx can't use Nationwide's street address to deliver my paperwork. Nationwide will only accept PO Box address for delivery. They will not accept my paperwork going to 1800 E Imperial Hwy STE 145, Brea, CA 92821-6002. Therefore my returned paperwork at a cost of over $25 from FEDEX will be resent by me from USPS. Nationwide's website is difficult to use when you have over 25+ pages to submit. Please note neither UPS or FedEX delivers to PO Box addresses.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

I've had my share of a couple issues with getting things reimbursed, but in the end the exotic plan has always been worth it. Now they got rid of that plan and switched us to something else for the renewal, and the premium skyrocketed 220%, from $80-something to over $200, with a much higher deductible. It's not often a hedgehog goes to the vet so the per-incident deductible actually made a lot more sense than a yearly one. Super upset that the one insurer out there for exotics has discontinued that plan.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

We submitted a claim for our greyhound's dental, which was November 2021. They asked for all of his medical records going back to July 2020. I sent them everything I had which went back to May 2020. In May 2020, he had a dental and it was noted that he had mild gingivitis. He had another dental in December 2020, however there were no notes about ANY disease. In fact, the animal dentist told me how surprised they were at how clean his teeth were. Due to that ONE NOTE before July, he was determined to have a "pre-existing condition" so our claim for November was denied. Per the letter: "dental tartar or periodontitis" is considered a pre-existing condition. I am not sure how TARTAR is pre-existing when everyone, humans and dogs (and probably cats), gets tartar. I would never recommend Nationwide Pet Insurance to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

I tried to file a claim on a pet that we lost. 6 months after the fact we get a email stating that they don't have all the medical records. They want medical records from a vet that our pet never has been to nor is anywhere near where we live. Now that I call and find out this info, I have to prove that my now deceased pet never has been to this vet. During my call to them about this, I have to write a letter attesting that I my pet has never been to this vet and then return it to them and they will send it back to the claims adjuster. I asked to speak to a someone to file a complaint and I was instructed to send them an email. This is ridiculous. I will be looking for another company to provide pet insurance.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

My 5 year old Rottweiler was diagnosed with IBD in 2017. The monthly policy payment went from $131.17/month to $218.15/month for 2022 - an yearly increase of 166%. Can you imagine what that monthly cost will be by the time that the dog is 10 yoa. I am through recommending Nationwide to friends/acquaintances with pets.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I have paid them for over a year but when I finally had an emergency for my dog they invented past medical history that none of my Vets reported in order to deny my $5,000 claim. My dog had a stomach emergency, and they decided since he had diarrhea as a puppy 18 months prior that they were related. My Vet called them to explain the dog's history, but they made up another reason to deny the claim. Now I am out the insurance cost and the medical bills.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

I signed up my new puppy for pet wellness plus Rider + Major Medical plan. Sales person assured me this was their top insurance. And they pay for vaccines and visits. My vet charges $90 they pay only 2 times a year each visit $30. This is a joke considering your time wasted on claim process. Not only it takes hours and few trials and fails to submit a claim. And months for them to respond back, that almost nothing is covered. It might be good for accidental injuries or major illness. For for a healthy puppy they pay next to nothing. Will definitely cancel after I find a better insurance. Nationwide should change their monologue. They are not on your side.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

We have Nationwide Pet Insurance for over 10 years and we would not be without it. They are very accommodating, CS is great. At no time have we had any problems submitting in a claim and receiving reimbursement. For example our one dog, has had numerous surgeries and these claims were paid at the 90%; however, you the pet owner determine what percentage you want when enrolling in their program.

Recently we lost our dog who was 11 yrs and 2 months and covered his euthanization when the time came. We still have one other dog on this policy and would not entertain cancelling. We have the Whole Pet Major Medical/Wellness Plan. There was a mention it was difficult to submit in claims, at NO time did we have a problem, you log into your account, start a claim and upload the invoice and it is done. Again, we rate Nationwide Pet Insurance a 10 in our book.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Pet Insurance partner.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Company Information