1.30/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

Nationwide Pet Insurance

Need a pet insurance provider?

375 Nationwide Pet Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 22, 2019

Nationwide Pet Insurance was the perfect addition to my work benefits. Once I enrolled, I designated the premium to be automatically taken out of my paycheck. Because my cat was already up to date with all his health and dental needs prior to me purchasing the "Whole Pet with Wellness" plan, it was simply a precaution against a worst-case scenario. Unfortunately, the scenario came to fruition when my Shadow had to be rushed into surgery for a blockage in his small intestine. He was hospitalized for 3 nights and needed around the clock IV fluids. This was an expensive emergency! While I had to pay the 5k upfront, once I submitted my receipts for reimbursement the processing, approval, and payout time took place within a week. This is why I bought the insurance, for emergencies and I'm glad I did! It saved my wallet, my credit, and most importantly, my Shadowcat's life! Thanks Nationwide!!!

Original review: May 16, 2019

I read other reviews before I got this insurance, which made me concerned about it - but the policy seemed solid so I paid for it. The policy I paid for was the "Whole Pet with Wellness" policy, $100 deducible and 90% reimbursement for a wide variety of conditions. Now, having read the reviews, I was aware that some were complaining that the company didn't cover expenses that they hadn't paid for insurance for. Right now Nationwide has three different plans, and I picked the most expensive, which covered injuries/illness/general wellness like vaccinations. If you choose the plan that only covers vaccinations/spaying and neutering/etc, they won't cover injuries.

However, with the amount of complaints I was still concerned. On May 1st, our big fluffboy started limping very badly. He didn't want to put any weight on his front paw. We weren't sure what happened, and ended up rushing him to the vet. No breaks, no fractures, but they had to put him to sleep for the checkup because he was so scared. They even shaved his shoulder to check for injuries, but there wasn't much to find, so it was probably just a bad sprain.

Anyway, I submitted my claim on May 2nd, with all the paperwork from the vet attached, and fully expected to get the run around. Today I got the response that the claim was accepted and they're sending a check. No hassle. I just made sure I turned in necessary information and explained what happened and it went very smoothly. Took about 2 weeks. Needless to say I'm very happy right now and glad I have him covered. The coverage has paid about 70% for itself already and he'll still be covered until into the beginning of next year. It's been worth it for me, at least. Even if I don't have to use it again - and hopefully I don't need to - the peace of mind will be worth it.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Nationwide Pet Insurance has been a life saver for my dog who was diagnosed at the age of 4 with lymphoma. They have paid 90% of every claim submitted in a timely manner. I see many complaints written because people did not read and research the coverage options and choose wisely. This company is very transparent with any exclusions for each pet. Customer service is readily available and always helpful. I highly recommend the whole pet with wellness coverage which pays a percentage for actual costs incurred. THANK YOU NATIONWIDE!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I got Nationwide pet insurance after they explicitly stated, both in their advertisements and through the salesman on the phone, that teeth cleaning was covered in their insurance policy. After getting this insurance, I got my cat's teeth cleaned, knowing that I was covered. After paying the approximately $1000 in charges for the cleaning (putting them under, cleaning, x-rays, etc), Nationwide first took a VERY long time to review a simple teeth cleaning procedure, then 100% DENIED my claim, stating that dental tartar was a pre-existing condition. Seriously, under what circumstances would you NOT find dental tartar in a teeth cleaning? Isn't that the POINT of getting a teeth cleaning, to remove dental tartar? Obviously Nationwide is misleading and scamming unsuspecting customers. I cancelled today after finding this website and reading the reviews. Wish I had found this site before signing up!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I have been a loyal customer to VPI (bought out by Nationwide) for over 10 years. So imagine my dismay when I received a renewal notice indicating Nationwide would be doubling my annual premium for my dogs. One of the policies went from costing $66 to $125 a month! I would look elsewhere for a pet insurance provider. I certainly will.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

This was the first time I bought pet insurance through an employer, and based on the information they gave me upfront I thought it was going to be worth it. Do not be fooled like I was, this company does everything in its power to create roadblocks for you to get paid. You have to submit your claim via mail or fax, this is 2019. NO ONE USES FAX MACHINES, so your claim will probably be sent via mail.

Once they receive the claim a week later you will see the initial information pop up about it on your claims page and from there the claim information will never be updated, even when new information has been sent to them via a vet or by you. In order to get any information you have to call them out of the blue and ask what the status is on the claim, they will never promptly tell you they need more information. After you've reached your deductible they will try to find every reason not to pay you. I sent in a claim in May and it is still under review now (3 months later). Save your money or find a different provider, Nationwide is not on your side here.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

$490.52 annual premium for a 2 year old cat - insured since kittenhood. Up from $352 last year. That doesn't include the $250 deductible. What's the premium going to be when she's six or ten? $1,000?? Good plan if you're worried about emergencies (who can predict those?) or if your pet develops a very expensive chronic condition (again, who can predict that?). Otherwise you're just throwing money down the hole. Seriously considering cancelling her plan and just going back to paying out of pocket.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I had to rush one of my dogs to have emergency surgery. I took her to the veterinary school to have the surgery. This school is not cheap and I paid out a lot of money that I didn't have. I wasn't giving up on my dog. After her surgery and 10 days of her staying there, I submitted the claim and all the information they asked for. This one maybe a week after she came home. After May 10th.

Here it is at the end of July and they are asking for more records prior to me adopting her. She was dumped off on the rescue I work with. I don't have any of the information prior. They are holding my claim up for a drug that UGA gave her after surgery. This insurance is a joke. They didn't even inform me of this. I had to call about the claim and found out that way. I would think they would have sent me a letter or something to tell me this. I have 4 dogs total on this insurance and pay out quite a bit. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. I would not recommend them to anyone. They will be canceled after this. Pathetic company.

Original review: July 23, 2019

STAY AWAY from Nationwide Pet Insurance. I have had pet insurance for over 13 years (2 dogs over that period). When the company was VPI Pet Insurance it was a great. Then Nationwide bought them. Since I had such a good experience with my first dog I decided to go with the new company. How bad could it be? They bought VPI and assumed everything would go the same as before. Was I wrong. I bought the Cadillac policy full wellness. Premiums were $850.00 per year. Expensive but thought worth it just in case. I bought the policy when my dog was 8 weeks old.

At 10 months he started having allergy problems and needed prescription dog food which is covered by the plan. I just received my renewal policy (mind you my dog just turned 3) and the premiums are now $1,850.00. Over a 100% increase in 2 years. Wow even my personal health insurance doesn’t increase at that rate. What a shame of an insurance company. I don't recommend pet insurance to everyone. I will make sure to inform everyone to stay away from Nationwide as they are not a company that cares about their customers.

Original review: July 6, 2019

Good news: We have had our 2 dogs on this insurance for 6 years. Have the Whole Pet Wellness policy for both. All claims we placed were handled well; we were satisfied with the process & results. Deductible was $250, and reimbursement was 90%. Bad news: The last time we submitted a claim (very recent), they suddenly decided to deny a few items that had been covered in the past - no explanations given. Unacceptable news: Our female dog is only 4 years old. Her policy premium was just raised from $66 a month to $111 a month. This is 60+% rate hike, which is ridiculous. Our male is 8 & I cannot imagine what the new rate for him will be when his policy expires. More cost for questionable coverage. We've dropped the insurance; I don't trust them anymore. Shame on Nationwide.

Nationwide Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1982, when Veterinary Pet Insurance issued their first policy on TV star Lassie, this company has insured more than 1 million pets. Their commitment to making quality vet care affordable is backed by the financial stability of one of the world's largest insurance companies, Nationwide.

• Emergency help line: Emergencies can happen at any time, so having access to those trained in veterinary medicine 24/7 can make all the difference. Veterinary Pet Insurance offers free access to its help line with any of its policies.

• Tiered service plans: Veterinary care can be expensive, even when only looking at annual routine care. This company offers plans that cover everything from routine maintenance to comprehensive coverage.

• Exotic pets covered: In addition to their plans that cover dogs and cats, this pet health insurance company also offers coverage for everything from sugar gliders to opossums.

• Immediate coverage: Many pet insurance plans have a waiting period between enrollment and effective coverage date. With Veterinary Pet Insurance, coverage begins 24 hours after receiving payment.

• No networks: Use the vet you are most comfortable with and take control of the treatment plan. Covered services are always covered, with no pre-approvals needed.

• Best for: Dog lovers, cat lovers, exotic pet owners and multi-pet households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky