1.27/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

Nationwide Pet Insurance

Need a pet insurance provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

As a veterinarian, I know how expensive pet emergencies can be and did not want to be left in a terrible dilemma should my 9month old puppy become sick, eat something she shouldn’t have or hurt herself. I recommend pet insurance to all my new puppy owners just for these reasons. Unfortunately my puppy tragically passed away in a hiking accident when out with my partner just one day after her insurance kicked in. Unfortunately her injury took her instantly and there was nothing we could do. I called Nationwide to cancel my policy which was very easy and they were very compassionate. About a week later we found our silver lining pup and so I got insurance once again.

I just received a letter today expressing their condolences on the lost of our first puppy and they informed me they were refunding me for the premium. I was so surprised but it really helped lift the financial burden I found myself in after putting in $394 for our puppy who tragically passed. I was not expecting this refund nor did I ask for it. Thank you Nationwide for understanding the human animal bond and understanding that unfortunate accidents happen and providing me with a little financial relief during this hard time.

Original review: May 22, 2019

Nationwide Pet Insurance was the perfect addition to my work benefits. Once I enrolled, I designated the premium to be automatically taken out of my paycheck. Because my cat was already up to date with all his health and dental needs prior to me purchasing the "Whole Pet with Wellness" plan, it was simply a precaution against a worst-case scenario. Unfortunately, the scenario came to fruition when my Shadow had to be rushed into surgery for a blockage in his small intestine. He was hospitalized for 3 nights and needed around the clock IV fluids. This was an expensive emergency! While I had to pay the 5k upfront, once I submitted my receipts for reimbursement the processing, approval, and payout time took place within a week. This is why I bought the insurance, for emergencies and I'm glad I did! It saved my wallet, my credit, and most importantly, my Shadowcat's life! Thanks Nationwide!!!

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: May 16, 2019

I read other reviews before I got this insurance, which made me concerned about it - but the policy seemed solid so I paid for it. The policy I paid for was the "Whole Pet with Wellness" policy, $100 deducible and 90% reimbursement for a wide variety of conditions. Now, having read the reviews, I was aware that some were complaining that the company didn't cover expenses that they hadn't paid for insurance for. Right now Nationwide has three different plans, and I picked the most expensive, which covered injuries/illness/general wellness like vaccinations. If you choose the plan that only covers vaccinations/spaying and neutering/etc, they won't cover injuries.

However, with the amount of complaints I was still concerned. On May 1st, our big fluffboy started limping very badly. He didn't want to put any weight on his front paw. We weren't sure what happened, and ended up rushing him to the vet. No breaks, no fractures, but they had to put him to sleep for the checkup because he was so scared. They even shaved his shoulder to check for injuries, but there wasn't much to find, so it was probably just a bad sprain.

Anyway, I submitted my claim on May 2nd, with all the paperwork from the vet attached, and fully expected to get the run around. Today I got the response that the claim was accepted and they're sending a check. No hassle. I just made sure I turned in necessary information and explained what happened and it went very smoothly. Took about 2 weeks. Needless to say I'm very happy right now and glad I have him covered. The coverage has paid about 70% for itself already and he'll still be covered until into the beginning of next year. It's been worth it for me, at least. Even if I don't have to use it again - and hopefully I don't need to - the peace of mind will be worth it.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Nationwide Pet Insurance has been a life saver for my dog who was diagnosed at the age of 4 with lymphoma. They have paid 90% of every claim submitted in a timely manner. I see many complaints written because people did not read and research the coverage options and choose wisely. This company is very transparent with any exclusions for each pet. Customer service is readily available and always helpful. I highly recommend the whole pet with wellness coverage which pays a percentage for actual costs incurred. THANK YOU NATIONWIDE!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I would not recommend Nationwide Pet Insurance. They find any reason not to pay claims AND then add exclusions to your future renewals. I have been with Nationwide for the past 6 years (4 dogs) and have seen a drastic decrease in service and coverage in the last 2 years. I will be changing all my policies to another company. I used to recommend Nationwide to everyone, but I won't any longer!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I do not recommend purchasing pet insurance from Nationwide Insurance, which is managed by VPI as they just had a drastic rate increase and my policy went up by $46 dollars per month. Over the past 3 years my policy has increased slightly, but nothing like this. I must say that my pet's health insurance policy is higher than my own health insurance, how sad is that. The company provided no advance notice except a letter that I received after the monthly amount was deducted from my account. In speaking with a representative she stated all major policies increased due to the market and the insurance company, who regulates the policies and approved the increase. I've used this company for over 10 years and will not be using them in the future nor will I recommend to friends and family. There are other pet insurance companies in the market that offer good insurance rates so do your homework prior to purchasing.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

Worst Ever!!!! Had this since Bo was 7 was old. Today he was diagnosed with bone cancer and needs his leg amputated. They will pay 950.00 of the 5,000.00 charge. But if he just had the tumor removed they’d pay 1600. Do they know they can’t just ”remove” a bone tumor. Only Rx is amputation and chemo. Soooo, would NEVER recommend these pet insurance. They are HORRIBLE!!!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

Do not get this insurance!!! I had it for 3 years as I have a 3 year old dog and got it when she was a puppy. I purchased Nationwide top plan and was paying $75 a month the first year then they increase me to $85 a month the second year which was not terrible. I got just charged $172 and called because thought it was a mistake however they told me cause my pet is getting older "SHES 3"!!! that they increase my policy. THEY DOUBLED IT!!! This is not a good company at all!!! Do not use them!!!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

9 month old puppy-recently had neuter and hernia surgery. NONE of it was covered under Nationwide even after we met deductible. I would not recommend this insurance company. It's joke. Hernia repairs aren't covered? Ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

We had Nationwide Pet Insurance and would not recommend it to anyone because after 10 years of paying $80 a month, when we needed it for our 13 year old rescue (he was 3 when we rescued him) they insisted the “Superior” plan would only pay $118 on a surgery that cost $2,100, suggesting it was because he was older than 10 he wouldn’t qualify for their better than "Superior " policies. We should have let our “Spry for an old guy”...Die!

Nationwide Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1982, when Veterinary Pet Insurance issued their first policy on TV star Lassie, this company has insured more than 1 million pets. Their commitment to making quality vet care affordable is backed by the financial stability of one of the world's largest insurance companies, Nationwide.

• Emergency help line: Emergencies can happen at any time, so having access to those trained in veterinary medicine 24/7 can make all the difference. Veterinary Pet Insurance offers free access to its help line with any of its policies.

• Tiered service plans: Veterinary care can be expensive, even when only looking at annual routine care. This company offers plans that cover everything from routine maintenance to comprehensive coverage.

• Exotic pets covered: In addition to their plans that cover dogs and cats, this pet health insurance company also offers coverage for everything from sugar gliders to opossums.

• Immediate coverage: Many pet insurance plans have a waiting period between enrollment and effective coverage date. With Veterinary Pet Insurance, coverage begins 24 hours after receiving payment.

• No networks: Use the vet you are most comfortable with and take control of the treatment plan. Covered services are always covered, with no pre-approvals needed.

• Best for: Dog lovers, cat lovers, exotic pet owners and multi-pet households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky