1.11/5
Based on 48 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a pet insurance provider?

Nationwide Pet Insurance

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 20, 2018

247 Nationwide Pet Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I signed up for this pet insurance in December and a week later my pup had to go to the vet and get x-rays. The whole ordeal cost me $440. My 'deductible' is 250 and of course, I met the amount but Nationwide has made it impossible to get reimbursed. They've been asking for medical records and more time for their team to review the documents. It's been 2 months and I was told that they should have everything cleared up by 2/19/2017... so when I called back today they told me that their expert team was still figuring the medical records! Are you kidding me?!

After the x-rays visit, I've had around $500-600 in vet medical expenses that they are supposed to review and reimburse... but I bet that will take them 3 more months to do! DON'T SIGN UP FOR THIS CRAPPY INSURANCE! PLEASE DO SOME RESEARCH FIRST AND GO WITH ANOTHER COMPANY! Don't do the same mistake I made. I'm changing insurance once they pay me all that they're suppose to.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

DO NOT FALL FOR PURCHASING THIS INSURANCE! I had used their wellness policy for a couple of years and then upgraded my policy last year to the Whole Pet with Wellness so that I could rest assured that my fur baby was completely covered. I was sold on this policy by the mere fact that it included dental where other companies did not. Unfortunately I discovered that the dental coverage offering is just a big lie. Basically if you take you pup in for their first routine dental cleaning they are not going to cover it because if there is any tartar it is considered a pre-existing condition!!! I just spent $900 at the vet only to find out the hard way that none of it was covered!!! My vet, who also had this insurance, was appalled because she said ALL dogs have tartar!!! Needless to say, I believe neither of us will be using this fraudulent insurance company anymore!!! Don’t be fooled!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I signed up with VPI 7 years ago when my kitten was 4 months old. At that time I had the best coverage VPI offered. Then Nationwide took over. My cat has been healthy his whole life so other than his wellness visits we have made very few claims. A few months ago we started treating him for a URI, then pneumonia but he was not responding. Several very necessary tests and x-rays later, he was diagnosed with lung cancer and it had spread to his brain. I submitted $2000 in claims and only received about $500 reimbursement.

I briefly looked at the explanations and it looks like he had reached his yearly maximum for the URI and so they just quit paying. Even though the final diagnosis was cancer. Had we been on the Whole Pet with Wellness plan we may have received a larger reimbursement but from what I am reading from other reviews, that might not have helped. I have been doing a lot of shopping around. Petplan, Trupanion & Healthy Paws have much better reviews than Nationwide.

I am a cat lover and another kitten in my future is imminent. I still think it is very important to have pet insurance if you are going to have a cat or dog. Medical costs are high and you want to make sure your pet insurance company will be there for you when you need it. That is what I am taking away from this experience. We all want the best for our fur babies. Not sure right now if that is Nationwide.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Submitted claim & was told reimbursement would be direct deposited into my account - a month later, NOTHING. We have spent hours chasing down the money we were told would be sent to us. PLEASE look elsewhere for pet insurance. There are other reputable companies out there. I would not wish this on anyone. If there were a way to give a zero star rating I would. Next stop Better Business Bureau!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I purchased Nationwide Pet Insurance because my employer offered payroll deduction. I was told it was ok. They were senior cats (the cats had been in good health). But a couple months after enrolling, my cat was not eating well. I took him in and he is in early stage kidney failure. They won't cover anything because they say it is pre-existing even though blood work 6 months prior before dental showed no kidney issues. I wanted to leave a bad review on their website (which has all glowing reviews), but there isn't anywhere to submit them, go figure. It's a total scam!!! Save the money for emergencies instead.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

It is a scam insurance ever. I was offered by my new employer to switch from my pet insurance that I have been happy with for 8 years. I was hesitating, but the sales of Nationwide insurance convinced me that it would be a smooth transition and as long as my dog does not have any chronic preexisting conditions that she has been medically treated or diagnosed before I should have no issues with any of my routine visits and incidents. Well all of that was a big lie!!! I took my senior dog to a routine care vet appointment as she was due for some vaccinations and a senior panel blood test. And then did multiple other routine care tests as it was All supposed to be covered and included in my policy.

As a result: First, Nationwide took over 2 months to process the claim and then after I had to get a manager involved to expedite the process, they denied with an excuse it was a preexisting condition. Never mind that my dog had not treatments before nor been to the doctor for past 2.5 year and in great shape. The reason they said it was preexisting, as I mentioned to the doctor that I am noticing some walking pattern change and she had fat deposit growth but no treatment was done for that and needed. Which is a normal patient doctor conversation on the routine visits. But Nationwide decided to use that as a medical conclusion of preexisting conditions and denied all of the claims made. So totaled to about 500-600$.

Also the routine dental that was supposed to be covered, they did not cover as well as the doctor wrote in the chart as they were cleaning the teeth there was some tart. Ha ha! If you would not have tart why would you even clean the teeth in the first place!!! As the Nationwide manager explained to me, that since she had it before going to the doctor, it preexisting. Which means anytime you go to the doctor with your pet, it will be preexisting as the pet shows the symptoms before the visit. But isn’t why you would go to the doctor in the first place??? So everything they sell is a pure lie and a scam!!! Don’t fall for it and lose so much money as I did!!!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I had insurance through its predecessor, Veterinary Pet Insurance, which had been good up until my last dog's last illness, at which point it dragged its feet in paying what it owed under the policy. Bought another dog right afterwards & insured again, and found Nationwide, which bought VPI, more reliable, though had no major health issues until recently. Veterinary hospital I was referred to said Nationwide is excellent. I hospitalized my dog there for two days. He had incurred an infection from somewhere, though hospital not sure where or which one. Nonetheless, the care there is excellent and expensive. I submitted bills of $3700 to Nationwide. Today I was informed by email that are reimbursing me $545. Annual premium has risen over the years to $800. I relied on insurance to incur big expenses I might have avoided - by choosing less expensive facility - had I know this is how Nationwide would treat the claim.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I was misled about this insurance involving the copay and how the annual $250 deductible works. I got whole pet with wellness insurance for my two dogs. I explained to the agent I needed dental cleaning for Max and it was recommended by my veterinarian. My 5 year old male dog got dental cleaning and needed three extractions. When I submitted my claim, it was denied. When I called to ask why, I was told the claim was too expensive. I had to submit medical records for the last year to prove I didn't know he needed extractions. I felt like I was lied to about the deductible because I was told a percentage goes to the deductible over the year, not the annual $250 deductible gets paid first and then you get 90% of whatever that is back.

I submitted the medical records and had to wait 30 days for it to be denied. Now there's a ton of things added to the list of permanent exclusions for my dog. I made it clear I needed this done for good preventative care, and that it was recommended I get it for my dog. By saying that, I should've been told upfront it would be considered an exclusion, as that would count as a pre-existing condition. By telling the agent I needed this done, he should've informed me I wouldn't be covered for dental cleaning. When I asked why should I pay for the whole pet with wellness plan, which includes dental cleaning, when it will no longer be covered?

I was told it was a great deal by the phone rep. Dental cleaning is expensive. There's blood work, labs, anesthesia, and it can start costing $500+ for basic dental cleaning. I know these people get commission off the wellness pet plans they sell, and the credit cards they sell. I was honest about all history and medications, the tartar, and I wish Nationwide was more honest about what they'll actually cover. My claim was outright denied because the claim was too expensive, and I felt like they were just looking for a reason to deny my claim.

I will not continue to pay for the most expensive package if they won't cover dental cleaning. If your pet has tartar, don't get this insurance. It will be considered a pre-existing condition and you'll get denied. As a matter of fact, if there's anything that can be possibly related to other health issues, Nationwide might just call it a pre-existing condition. For example, tartar that incurred up to twelve months before my effective date of my policy whether or not it was discovered, diagnosed, or treated will be pre-existing, therefore not covered.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Nationwide bought VPI. It got even worse! In fact they probably have got worse. I have been a customer for over 20 years and swore when I needed new insurance for other pets I would never go back to VPI. I was talked into returning by a sales pitch by a Nationwide representative who promised me that things were going to change under their tutelage. So far that remains to be seen. After submitting 2 claims for my 4 month old golden retriever puppy who developed a urinary tract infection in early September I have yet to receive any reimbursement whatsoever. What I have received is letter requesting medical records, and for a 4 month old puppy that consisted of one other record that stated she was in excellent health. Then I receive another letter stating they needed another 30 days to review that one-page document! Are you kidding me? 60 days to receive even an acknowledgement or reimbursement, outrageous.

I have spent thousands of dollars over the course of the last 20 years and after speaking to 2 supervisors, you know what they had the audacity to tell me? That there is no system what so ever to distinguish or acknowledge loyal customers who are having problems, no preference at all given to those with years of loyalty as opposed to those who signed up yesterday. That is no way to run a business and why VPI and now Nationwide will continue to garnish terrible reviews. I will be shopping for another policy as I made a huge mistake believing the fast-talking sales rep who probably was only concerned in making a commission. Stay away from Nationwide. You want to protect your sanity and your pocketbook!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Wrongful denial of the claims for payment of life saving medical services performed for our dog, Max. Your denial was not only wrongful, but also in bad faith as it has absolutely no basis in fact. Therefore, we ask that you re-consider your denial and reimburse us for all claims submitted for payment. Below is the timeline of pertinent facts that will assist you in your investigation:

1. We adopted Max, a 1.5 month old GHD dog on July 4th 2017. Prior to the adoption, we purchased medical coverage through VPI Nationwide Pet Insurance Company on June 27, 2017. Contrary to your company’s unwarranted assumptions, we had no idea whether or not the dog had any medical problems. Both of my other dogs (GHD and yellow Lab) have been insured with VPI since 2007. We were advised that company requires 14 days waiting/verification period before policy takes effect. Policy effective date was July 12 2017. There was absolutely no indication of any medical problems or pre-existing conditions. Therefore, the denial on that basis was improper.

2. Max was doing fine for the first couple of days, but I changed his food to the one which my other dogs eat, so all of my 3 dogs would eat the same type of food. Switching food and/or resulting stress triggered diarrhea. We took Max to Evesham Vet clinic on July 7th to treat his diarrhea. 3. Dr. Bell of Evesham Vet advised us to have a consult with internal medicine doctor if the condition persisted. Since we did not know his medical condition/history, we decided to take him to CAREs for a consultation with internal medical doctor. The first available appointment we could find with internal medicine doctor was on July 12th. The ultrasound showed no signs of chronic GI system disorder. Dr. ** advised us to show Max to a Neurology doctor because Max was limping on his right leg. Neurology doctor advised us that, if symptoms worsen, Max would need to have MRI or/and X-ray done to identify the root cause.

4. Max’s overall health including walking condition had improved over the next week. But to be 100% sure that Max had no neurological issues, we decided to consult with Neurology doctor from Red Bank. We took Max to see a Neurology doctor on 8/27/2017. Dr. ** advised us that without MRI is performed, she wouldn’t be able to diagnose Max.

5. Max suddenly lost his coordination, became very weak, disoriented the night of August 31st. We rushed him to emergency Red Bank Vet Hospital. He has MRI and number of other tests done that night. After all the tests’ result came back, MAX was diagnosed with Diagnosing Granulomatous Meningoencephalitis (GME). This is an inflammatory disease of the central nervous system (CNS) of dogs. This was the first time the diagnosis was made and there was no indication of this condition prior to the policy inception date. 6. Below all the claims I have been submitted:

7/12/2017 claim for $ $1,752.00 was submitted to VPI, claim was processed and declined on 9/15/2017. Problem: GASTROENTERITIS. 07/14/2017 claim for $48.48 was submitted to VPI, claim was process and declined on 9/15/2017. Problem: GASTROENTERITIS. 07/31/2017 claim for $38.99 was submitted to VPI, claim was process and declined on 9/15/2017. Problem: GASTROENTERITIS. 08/03/2017 claim for $185.92 was submitted to VPI, claim was process and declined on 9/15/2017. Problem: GASTROENTERITIS. 08/07/2017 claim for $48.48 was submitted to VPI, status: in Process. Problem: GASTROENTERITIS. 08/16/2017 claim for $72.49 was submitted to VPI, claim was process and declined on 9/15/2017. Problem: GASTROENTERITIS.

08/27/2017 claim for 185.00 was submitted to VPI, claim was process and declined on 9/15/2017. Problem: Walking. 08/28/2017 claim for $72.49 was submitted to VPI, claim was process and declined on 9/15/2017. Problem: GASTROENTERITIS. 8/31/2017 claim for $6,023.40 was submitted to VPI, status: in Process. Problem: GME. 9/04/2017 claim for $368.68 was submitted to VPI, status: in Process. Problem: GME. 9/04/2017 claim for $273.71 was submitted to VPI, status: in Process. Problem: GME. 9/17/2017 claim for $95.00 was submitted to VPI, status: in Process. Problem: GME.

I had to make numerous phone calls to VPI Insurance asking for the status of the submitted claims. Per VPI Company policy, the turnover time is 30 days to process a claim. It took VPI more than 2 months to decline all of them. I believe VPI purposely and in bad faith denied the July and August claims in order to subsequently assert that the basis for denial was the pre-existing condition. As you can see, there is no evidence of the pre-existing condition and we certainly had no knowledge that this dog had any medical problems prior to procuring the policy with VPI.

We request that the denial of the above claims be immediately reversed and that we be reimbursed in accordance with the provisions of the policy, for which we are paying timely premiums. Anything less would be tantamount to bad faith in claims handling and we reserve all rights to seek any and all remedies for VPI’s wrongful conduct.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

In hindsight, I wish I had paid myself $30/month during the life of my dog and used that money to pay the recent higher vet bills than to have paid for this pet insurance for my dog. For most of my dog's life, the insurance was under VPI. Also, for most of his life, I paid for the insurance and he did not have any issues, but now that he is older, he has had some problems. One thing to note -- they exclude anything to do with a dog having worms, under the major medical plan. Also, after paying into this for so long, I would have expected the policy to cover more than just a fraction of the vet costs. Instead, there is the deductible, and then there are some type of limits on what they will actually pay for different conditions or treatments. Overall, if I had to do this again, I would NOT pick this pet insurance. I never had to make a claim when it was under VPI so I can't speak to that. I insured my cat under Trupanion instead.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I'll start by saying the 1 star is solely because it won't let me give 0. We've only had Nationwide for 2 months for our cat, and it seemed like we were getting the most bang for our buck. Buzzz. Wrong. While it seemed like they cover pretty much everything that can go wrong, they actually cover literally nothing, or rather, they'll choose how they classify customer's claims so that they don't have to cover anything. We submitted 2 claims thus far since signing up with Nationwide, and they were both denied.

Nationwide decided that they'd classify the first time checkup, first time fecal sample, and first time frontline under the category of "pre-existing condition." I shouldn't have to point out that ALL of those things are preventative and precautionary measures to ensure that our cat is healthy and doesn't get sick, all things which are covered by their policy. However, because Nationwide just wants to collect the insurance money and not pay out reimbursements for things that are most definitely covered in their terms and conditions, they decided to label of the preventative care as checking up on a pre-existing condition, which couldn't be further from the truth. Luckily, at the end of the day, only 2 claims were denied, and we quickly realized that Nationwide is run by con artists so we cancelled. Whatever you do, stay far far away from Nationwide when choosing pet insurance.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

We have been paying to insure 2 cats for over 5 years now and have never been late for a single payment. Thankfully we didn't have any issues with our cats the first 4 1/2 years we had insurance, but our luck ran out. One of our cats broke her right paw and our other cat got really sick. All in all, we spent over $1200 in vet bills with both cases and what did we get back from Nationwide? 2 letters that said we were getting $0.00 back. That’s right, not a single penny was covered. We contacted our vet to make sure the proper codes were used and that the forms were sent out properly and they were. I got in contact with Nationwide's CS dept and it was without question one of the worst CS experiences I have ever had. The CS rep was rude, dismissive, and completely unhelpful. After calming down from the CS phone call, I called back and immediately cancelled both policies. This company is an absolute fraud.

This whole thing reminds me of that movie Matt Damon was in where the insurance companies’ policy was to deny every claim, even if it was legitimate as a certain percentage of people just give up due to the frustration of dealing with denied claims time and time again and the insurance company ultimately saves millions as a result. I have no doubt based on my experience and the experience I have since read from others that Nationwide has some sort of policy that is similar to what we saw in that movie.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and DO NOT go with Nationwide. Unfortunately, I don’t have any experience with any of the other pet insurance companies out there so I can't refer people to a good one. All I can do is warn people about a REALLY BAD one. Honestly, if this website had an option for zero stars, I would have rated Nationwide a big fat zero. Just another greedy corporation that doesn’t care about anything but its bottom line money wise.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I pay $834.13 annually for each of my two dogs and have had Nationwide (VPI) since 06/2015. (I wouldn't pay this much for my own insurance). When the topic comes up, people often tell me, "Why don't you just put that money into savings, don't spend it and if something happened you could just pay for it". $1700 over 10 years, with interest would be about $18,000. I liked the sense of security that came with pet insurance, but with each claim I've submitted that sense of security has diminished. I enrolled because Nationwide's wellness benefits page seemed reasonable, but there is a lot of invisible print. In the past 13 months, I submitted a grand total of one $15 claim on each dog for a nail trim. According to their benefits page is covered up to $20. I've had no other claims since 08/2016 (which was for regular checkups-which they've covered 50% to 75% of the cost of).

My 2017, $15 claim was denied because the trim was done by a professional groomer in a shop; it wasn't performed by a veterinarian. Nowhere on the benefits page does it indicate, the trim has to be done by a veterinarian. Not even one of those asterisks (*) that have you go to another section to get the details. This is akin to "bait and switch".

Furthermore, the denial letter: "Z171 - The "Insuring Agreement" section of your policy states that we will only pay for covered veterinary services. Veterinary services are medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment provided by a veterinarian who has physically examined your pet." There is no "Insuring Agreement" online. (Perhaps there was a paper one back when I enrolled). Z171? That implies that there are sections A through Z. Wow. Important disclaimers which contradict the BENEFITS page is hidden in the last letter of the alphabet? Having the trim done by a wonderful grooming facility where the dogs were in and out in 5 minutes costs less than having it done at the Vets office (by about $5 or $10 each) AND very important to me, my guys don't have to be caged waiting for their turn. Hey Nationwide, Veterinarians do NOT TRIM NAILS. The techs/groomers in the back do that. DUH.

I really want to cancel the coverage, but now that they are getting older... I'm afraid to. I am very unhappy and I certainly won't get coverage for our new pup. I want to make other folks aware that Nationwide is NOT on your side. The rep and her supervisor, though not very rude, were not even remotely pleasant. Didn't even get a fake "I'm sorry" whereas most companies would have concluded with, "OK, we will pay the $15 this time, but you must understand in the future nail trims have to be done by the Vet." I am debating cancelling my policy, and perhaps now that the dogs are older (9 each) that is what they want.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I purchased The Wellness Pet Insurance for my two cats aged 11 and 6. I was told I pay monthly for the plan and as soon as I take my pets I can start getting reimbursed. That was not true, I called to ask about my claim I submitted and then I'm told I have a $250 deductible for each cat. In total their plan together was $950 for the year plus $250 for each cat and then the plan would cost $1450 for the year. Only after you spend $250 on each cat then you get 90% back of what you spent on vet bills. Both my cats are healthy so it's useless to have it when shots for both only cost $350 out of pocket. I faxed both cats' vet documents to underwriting but yet they are too ** lazy to review the documents.

I had my older cat show positive on Feline Leukemia Virus for a cheap test. I paid for a more expensive test which is over $100 on its own and my cat was negative. So instead of them as an insurance company knowing the more expensive test showed my cat did not get have Feline Leukemia Virus. I had to spend again over $100 out of pocket, just to prove she was negative. Which the more expensive test showed negative once again. Then I filed a claim to have it removed from my cat's file which takes a month. Then my plan decreased in cost. This insurance is a scam for younger pets. Only when they are old it is worth it. When you setup up your claim there is no point to say anything about your pet because their lazy underwriting department doesn't read your pet's file once it's received. Just filed in a cabinet and put away.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Many of you are pet lovers and debating which insurance company to cover your pets. We have been paying monthly premiums for the last 12 years for the best policy Nationwide Pet Insurance (800-540-2016) had to offer just to cover our two cats. Recently one of our cats was diagnosed with kidney disease. One of the vet bills was for $175 with a reimbursement check for only 18 cents!

Nationwide is now saying the policy was changed over the years, although we weren't informed of any changes or we would have canceled our policy and looked for a better pet insurance company. Nationwide is also now saying their cap for kidney disease is only $178 per year. If you've got a pet you know that doesn't cover anything! We were never told this while paying our monthly premium of $65 per month for over twelve years.

I know all of you love your pets very much and this information will help you avoid a total scam! My wife and I are both 68 years old who feel betrayed and ripped off. We both counted on Nationwide to be responsible and now that we're both retired senior citizens who have paid into an insurance policy for more than 12 years, relying on Nationwide to be there when our pets aged but instead they come up with excuses not to pay the vet bills. There are plenty of pet insurance companies out there and if we knew about Nationwide caps we would have gone with a far better company and it’s too late to change companies now because our cats are 12 years old. No pet insurance company is going to accept a 12 year old cat with kidney disease.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I choose Nationwide due to my employer providing and also speaking to representatives of Nationwide beforehand which basically told us submitting a claim was easy and simple generally paid within 2 weeks time. We had the full coverage and wellness for the dogs. I had three dogs on the policy that are well taken care of. When we placed a claim for one of our Pomeranians to have her teeth cleaned through the vet (as recommended) for the first time (as she generally had her teeth cleaned at the dog spa with her grooming). She had no extractions and was in very good health. After submitting the claim and following up with Nationwide they finally sent a request two weeks later requesting her medical record. The record was sent three times and in the system that takes 48 hours to update. Extremely old and outdated system.

I then spoke to a Manager and stated this was a simple procedure and her first time she has no pre-existing conditions and that it had been over two weeks since the claim was submitted. The manager, "Marsha" said she would place a rush on reviewing the record and get back to me. Two weeks later after I had followed-up up several times and was told two different responses from customer service I then asked to speak to the manager again she left a voicemail two and a half weeks later that Nationwide denied the claim (saying a preexisting condition) (my Pomeranian had no pre-existing conditions) and it was her first time to be put under anesthesia and have her teeth cleaned.

She had no extractions and was basically given an antibiotic due to a small fracture seen in one of her teeth for precaution. Needless to say after spending a months worth of pet insurance for three dogs, receiving lousy customer service with Nationwide and after spending close to a $1K that month we received $50 towards our deductible and basically told them to cancel the insurance policy. If I could rate a 0 flat out I would have. Not worth it after reading all these reviews and wish I read beforehand. Moving on to a better company. Bye Nationwide.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

DO not sign up for pet insurance through Nationwide Pet Insurance. They charge an arm and a leg and tell you they will cover you and your pet and then they dont after the procedure is over. They are rude over the phone and are thieves. Save your money and your heartache.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

The only reason I gave it a 1 is because they were previously VPI insurance and I had no complaints. Do not use Nationwide. I wish I had done the research and read these reviews prior. I have had them for 10 years. The premiums have gone up tremendously and not only do they reject 98% of my claims, they have paid almost close to nothing when a claim is approved. For example, on a $100 claim, if they accept it, they send you a check for $5.00. They make up exclusions that are conveniently not on the policy packet you receive when signing up. Please save your money and take it to a better business. I have a small claims pending! They shouldn't be allowed to do this!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

We have two dogs insured with Nationwide. Lona is 10 years old and Mattie is 9 years old. We have had Lona since she was a puppy and the insurance coverage for her is solid. Absolutely no complaints. Mattie is another story. We rescued her when she was 7 years old in July 2105. Initially there were multiple issues. Understandably, there were startup issues: vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Mattie was really stressed after being uprooted from her home of 7 years where she was well cared for.

She was dropped off at a rescue site. Due to the large number of dogs, the rescue staff does mass feeding. Her weight dropped from 48 lbs to 34 lbs. She was not mistreated in any way - she is a very slow eater and as we discovered later, does not tolerate a chicken-based diet and needs small kibble food. Since we had a positive experience with Lona at VPI [now Nationwide], we signed up Mattie for insurance there, too. Due to the myriad of start up issues introducing Mattie to a new household, there were a lot of exclusions on the policy the first year. That actually made sense to us. However, we did not expect that these exclusions would continue into the 2nd and 3rd year.

Mattie has not thrown up or had diarrhea in over 18 months; yet, the company will not remove the exclusion for Gastroenterology even though the policy states if the condition is treatment free after six months, it will do that. When I asked the rationale, underwriting responding that since we give her a grain-free diet, they are justified in continuing the exclusion. Was told their records show our Vet recommended the food which is not true. I researched several different brands and chose this commercially available food. It is not a prescription food and one that I, not the Vet, chose. He did confirm this with the company. By the way, it is the same food that we feed our other dog who does not have this exclusion on her policy. I even challenged Nationwide that their actions really go against people getting rescue animals. Something I think a pet-oriented company would support. In summary, I cannot recommend the company for anyone who has a rescue animal.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I purchased my plan through my work as a benefit. I purchased the pet insurance through VPI for my 2 beagles. We were happy with the service and coverage, as well as the cost for the 2 dogs. Unknown to us VPI changed to Nationwide. We found this out after submitting a claim and it was not covered, when it was covered in the past. And our cost went way up. Now, every time we submit a claim there are always some type of explanation why things were not covered. They usually blame it on the deductible not being met. When we looked through all our past claims they only applied $24.00 toward the deductible for the first 6 months of the year. We submitted several hundred dollars in claims during that time and only $24 was applied. Looks to me that they intentionally do not apply anything to the deductible throughout the year so the deductible is never met and claims do not have to be paid.

I am paying $73 each month for each dog. I have the medium coverage with a rider and can barely get reimbursement. Seems a bit like fraud to me. Now we are stuck with it and can't change to another pet insurance company due to pre-existing conditions and age (7 and 9). If someone is considering purchasing Nationwide Pet Insurance I strongly urge you to explore other companies. STAY AWAY FROM NATIONWIDE PET INSURANCE.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I signed my Labrador up for insurance when I first got her. I did my research and went with VPI. They were great and I was very happy with them. The plan was good and payments made sense. Since Nationwide Pet Insurance has taken over, the percentage of a bill that they are willing to cover has gone way down. It's a fight to get anything paid and when you call for explanations they hide behind several pages of rate explanations. Unfortunate for many pet owners you are trapped and cannot change policies due to preexisting conditions. So your only two choices are to except the fact that you are paying for a bad policy or to go without insurance for your pet. So please do your research and not rely on the good reputation that VPI had. Be sure to look at this company from the point Nationwide took over.

Original review: July 19, 2017

When we adopted our dog, we thought that we would invest in pet insurance for those big ticket items that could set us back. Long story short, Nationwide decided that our dog had an allergy condition and this was a pre-existing condition and not covered. They manage to link every vet visit to the pre existing condition and deny the claim. I would have been better off saving my $42 a month premium and paying it out of there. This company is such a scam.

Their CSR's and supervisors are so well trained too. No emotion, no feeling, just scripted answers. I told the supervisor that I was tired of sending my premiums to them and Peyton Manning. This gal said nothing. Like a zombie. Anyway, I'm thinking about switching. Do not buy this insurance. They are allowed to deny claims based on pre-existing conditions. Our pre-existing is allergies. What happens if he develops cancer? All they have to do is link it to allergies and, BAM! DENIED! Broken Leg (from scratching) BAM! Allergies... DENIED.

Original review: July 19, 2017

Do not buy, they advertise covering 90%, but they don't tell you the allocated amount is super low. Figure if lucky to get back 50%. Recently had to put my dog to rest, $595 bill got reimbursed $64. Much better choices the VPI – Nationwide.

Original review: July 4, 2017

We used VPI for our last dog and had great service so when we got a new dog we used them again. Then they became Nationwide. The plan costs the same but you get way less. Our Dalmatian just had to have $3500 surgery for urate stones. We got $825!! What the heck? I called them and they said that urate stones are not covered. Why not? I would switch to PetPlan, which covers everything, but now he has a "pre-existing condition". So we're stuck with this plan. Or we could switch to something else and hope his prescription food keeps him from getting stones again. I thought "major medical" was just that. I wonder how many other things just suddenly aren't covered. Someone mentioned class action suit.

Original review: June 30, 2017

Do not use Nationwide. I wish I had done the research and read these reviews prior. I have had them for 2 years and after incurring several large vet bills, they spent a month and a half processing my claims. After that period, they rejected all and paid nothing. They make up exclusions that are conveniently not on the policy packet you receive when signing up. Please save your money and take it elsewhere. I have cancelled all of my policies.

Original review: June 28, 2017

Nationwide was very disingenuous, deliberating giving us the runaround to refuse coverage, which we think was age related. In late May 2017, we tried to apply to Nationwide's new Wellness Plan for our 9-year-old West Highland Terrier (Edgar). Though healthy dog with no pre-existing conditions, they spotted an prior incident in his records of vomiting. At the time, our vet considered it as a minor stomach problem and recommended treatment with an OTC Pepsin. Edgar never experienced the vomiting again. However, Nationwide labeled the condition as a serious "bilious vomiting disorder".

After our vet wrote and confirmed that this was not serious, only a single occurrence, Nationwide continued to decline his eligibility due to having an Over-the-Counter Pepsin on his records.They wasted so much of our and our vet's time by constantly requesting more information without any intention of allowing insurance eligibility. Review about: Nationwide Wellness Insurance.

Original review: June 28, 2017

My puppy got pneumonia in March. After $10K in treatments, it took Nationwide Pet Insurance until the end of June to deny the claims. They said since she had a stuffy nose prior, the pneumonia was a pre-existing condition and will not cover ANY of the treatment. From what I have read, many people have been scammed the same way and denied the coverage they paid for. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND Nationwide Pet Insurance!

Original review: June 20, 2017

I purchased Pet insurance for my dog. It took almost 2 months for Nationwide to approve my application. Then about 2 months after I had the policy, I put new flooring in my home and my dog injured herself when she jumped off the bed. She had to have surgery on her elbow. The insurance claimed it to be a preexisting condition. So nothing was covered. Not the original vet visit or the x-ray. Not the surgery or the follow up or any of the Meds. And the worst part is they would not even apply the $4000 I paid out toward my $250 deductible. Save your money and don't waste your time. It took them over a month to process the claim. I cancelled the insurance immediately.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I purchased pet insurance on my first dog about 4 years ago. I recently adopted/rescued my second dog. Nationwide has NEVER covered any claim on my first pet. My second dog was seen by the vet and deemed healthy. About a month later I took him in and he needed 2 antibiotics, steroid shot and medications. I submitted the claim for over $500.00. They have continued to contact me for additional vet records for the past year. I don't have any. They required a letter from me showing I just adopted him and they are now taking 30 days to review. They always want to quote you the policy when you call before they will answer any questions. I feel they look for any reason to delay or deny claims. I am paying over $70.00 a month for both dogs in good health. There is also a deductible of $250.00... wondering which is cheaper... just roll the dice that they do not get a terminal disease... Very frustrating.

Nationwide Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1982, when Veterinary Pet Insurance issued their first policy on TV star Lassie, this company has insured more than 1 million pets. Their commitment to making quality vet care affordable is backed by the financial stability of one of the world's largest insurance companies, Nationwide.

• Emergency help line: Emergencies can happen at any time, so having access to those trained in veterinary medicine 24/7 can make all the difference. Veterinary Pet Insurance offers free access to its help line with any of its policies.

• Tiered service plans: Veterinary care can be expensive, even when only looking at annual routine care. This company offers plans that cover everything from routine maintenance to comprehensive coverage.

• Exotic pets covered: In addition to their plans that cover dogs and cats, this pet health insurance company also offers coverage for everything from sugar gliders to opossums.

• Immediate coverage: Many pet insurance plans have a waiting period between enrollment and effective coverage date. With Veterinary Pet Insurance, coverage begins 24 hours after receiving payment.

• No networks: Use the vet you are most comfortable with and take control of the treatment plan. Covered services are always covered, with no pre-approvals needed.

• Best for: Dog lovers, cat lovers, exotic pet owners and multi-pet households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky

www.petinsurance.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use