2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

1.3/5 (421 ratings)

About Nationwide Pet Insurance

Nationwide Pet Insurance, previously known as Veterinary Pet Insurance, or VPI, provides coverage for dogs, cats and exotic animals. Exotic animal plans cover birds, reptiles, amphibians, rodents and goats. Pet owners can choose from four insurance plans, including basic coverage and full wellness coverage. Costs are reasonable, and the company offers discounts. Customers can get free quotes online for dog and cat insurance but need to call Nationwide for exotic pet insurance quotes.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Multipet discounts
    • No maximum age limit
    • Covers exotic pets
    • Wellness coverage

Cons

• No online quotes for exotic pets
    • Limited plans for older pets

Bottom Line

Nationwide Pet Insurance covers dogs, cats and exotic animals, offering basic plans and comprehensive wellness coverage. Nationwide offers coverage to pets of any age, though plans are limited for older animals.

Top Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I adopted a kitten in June of 2017 and purchased the Whole Pet with Wellness plan for him. ... It turned out my cat was cryptorchid and had to undergo surgery. ... I spent almost ...

Verified

I have had Nationwide Pet Insurance for my two beagles for 8+ years. Nationwide reimbursed the majority of expenses associated with my Charlie’s splenectomy, cancer and associated...

How does Nationwide Pet Insurance work?

Nationwide acquired VPI Pet Insurance, also called VPI, in 2014. For pet owners whose pets need medical care, Nationwide Pet Insurance can help save thousands of dollars through reimbursement of veterinarian bills.

Request a quote online through Nationwide’s secure site or by phone. To get started, provide your ZIP code and your pet’s name, age and breed. Nationwide Pet Insurance then provides a quote for review. There is a 14-day waiting period for coverage after making your first payment.

Nationwide Pet Insurance plans

Nationwide Pet Insurance offers four major plans for cats and dogs: Major Medical, Major Medical with Wellness, Whole Pet and Whole Pet with Wellness. Each plan includes nose-to-tail coverage, though conditions vary based on the plan type selected. All of these plans have a fixed deductible of $250.

Major Medical
    The most economical of Nationwide’s pet insurance plans, Major Medical covers basic accidents and illnesses and allows pet owners to use any veterinarian or hospital they like. The annual deductible for this plan is fixed at $250, and annual benefits are predefined depending on the condition. The Major Medical plan is not always available to older pets.
    Major Medical with Wellness
    A step up from the Major Medical plan, Nationwide’s Major Medical with Wellness plan also includes wellness exams, vaccinations, bloodwork and illness prevention. As with the Major Medical plan, the annual deductible is $250, and annual benefit limits depend on the condition. This plan is not always available to older pets.
    Whole Pet
    An option for older pets, Nationwide’s Whole Pet plan includes all the benefits of the Major Medical plan but adds some dental, behavioral, prescription and holistic treatment coverage. The annual deductible is fixed at $250 with $10,000 total annual benefits.
    Whole Pet with Wellness
    Nationwide’s most comprehensive and most customizable policy, Whole Pet with Wellness has a wide range of coverage. While the annual deductible is set at $250 and annual benefits are unlimited, pet owners have the option to adjust their reimbursement level from 90% to 70% or 50%. A lower reimbursement percentage lowers the cost of this plan.

Note that the above plans may not be available for exotic pets. Nationwide requires owners of birds, reptiles, rodents and other exotic pets to call a Nationwide Pet Insurance customer service representative to receive information about plans, coverage and costs.

Nationwide Pet Insurance coverage

Nationwide Pet Insurance covers accidents and illnesses and can also include preventive medicine, dental care, spaying, neutering and behavioral treatments. Nationwide’s most comprehensive plan, Whole Pet with Wellness, is the most expensive, but it also provides maximum benefits for pets of all types.

Compare coverage of Nationwide’s pet insurance plans:

Major MedicalMM + WellnessWhole PetWP + Wellness
    Major Medical
    MM + Wellness
    Whole Pet
    MP + Wellness

While each Nationwide Pet Insurance policy type has its advantages, many pet owners opt for the Major Medical with Wellness or Whole Pet with Wellness plan so their pets are fully covered.

Currently, Nationwide Pet Insurance does not cover:

• Preexisting conditions
    • Grooming, including nail trims and shampoos
    • Expenses not directly related to the veterinary bill, like credit card fees
    • Certain plan restrictions based on specific policy type

Nationwide Pet Insurance defines preexisting conditions as injuries or illnesses that occurred before coverage started. This exclusion includes some hereditary conditions.

At Nationwide Pet Insurance, dogs and cats won’t be dropped from coverage based on their age or the number of claims filed.

How much does Nationwide Pet Insurance cost?

Nationwide Pet Insurance quotes vary depending on the plan you choose, but Nationwide dog insurance costs between $35 and $60 per month for most breeds, while cat insurance costs between $13 and $46. For dogs and cats, customers get a free quote online, but if you’re looking into Nationwide’s exotic pet insurance, you need to call for a quote.

Nationwide Pet Insurance's prices vary based on the breed and age of your pet. If you’re looking for a low-cost plan, consider choosing one with a variable reimbursement percentage. Unlike most pet insurance providers, Nationwide Pet Insurance offers reimbursement percentages as low as 50%, which lets customers pay more out of pocket for a vet bill but less in their monthly premiums.

Discounts are available to policyholders who enroll two or more pets or those who are already members of Nationwide.

Nationwide Pet Insurance FAQ

Does Nationwide Pet Insurance cover spaying?
    Yes, the Whole Pet with Wellness plans offers coverage for spaying or neutering. The Whole Pet, Major Medical and the Major Medical with Wellness plans do not cover this service for any pet.
    Does Nationwide Pet Insurance cover emergency visits?
    Depending on the condition that needs treatment, some Nationwide Pet Insurance plans do cover emergency visits, which includes accidents and illnesses. Call a Nationwide customer service representative for more information.
    Does Nationwide Pet Insurance cover dental cleanings?
    The Whole Pet and Whole Pet with Wellness plans cover dental cleanings, but not all of Nationwide’s pet insurance plans do.
    Where can I find a Nationwide Pet Insurance claim form?
    To file a Nationwide Pet Insurance claim, policyholders visit the website or the VitusVet app. On the website, policyholders can download and complete the form and then return it and any paid invoices via email, fax or mail.

Is Nationwide Pet Insurance good?

Nationwide offers affordable pet insurance for dogs, cats and exotic animals. Although coverage is available for older animals, plans may be limited and premiums may be high. If you already have a policy with Nationwide or are looking to insure multiple pets, expect to receive discounts.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Original review: June 9, 2021

This is a difficult time for me as I have just said goodbye to my canine companion Lizzy. I am still suffering from her loss as I'm sure I will be forever. The purpose of this letter is to let the public know how very professional, loving and caring the Nationwide Pet Administrators and Underwriters have been during the time Lizzy was insured by them. They were remarkable in ensuring that I was recompensed promptly for the overwhelming cost of Lizzy’s treatment. It was only because she was insured by Nationwide through their Whole Pet with Wellness Plan that I was able to pursue a course of chemotherapy treatment that would enable Lizzy to live a reasonably stable and good life for as long as possible. I cannot begin to describe how comforting it was during the roughly 6-month experience of her treatment to know that Nationwide was truly “by our side” and paying 90% of the cost of every bill generated during her treatment.

Lizzy was a 6-pound Maltese Pomeranian dog who was loved not only by myself and my partner, Maggie **, but EVERYONE who saw her during our 3-walks a day exercise program. She passed away on the 23rd of May this year after a hard-fought battle with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML). In summary, if anyone who reads this is considering a pet insurance policy, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND they contract with Nationwide Pet Insurance to ensure that their beloved pet is given the regular wellness care or extensive treatment required to perpetuate his or her whole life.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I've had my German Shepherd insured through Nationwide since 2015 (when they were Veterinary Pet Insurance). The annual premium appears to be set such that, if you do for the year are wellness visits to the vet *and* you purchase the usual meds (flea, tick, heartworm), you will recover the cost of the premium -- that is, you break even for the year. That's actually a pretty good deal, because if there are any unanticipated issues, then you're likely going to be saving money.

Of course, even just to break even, you do need to file claims for all of your costs -- i.e., vet visits, pharmaceuticals, etc. -- so there's a 'time' cost, but Nationwide has really streamlined their claims process. (I just filed a claim for a ** prescription, and it took me roughly two minutes, including the time to log in and get to the claims page.) Claims are reviewed and paid very quickly -- typically within 48 hours. Customer service is pleasant and very responsive, although hold times have increased recently. Overall, I have found Nationwide pet insurance to be an excellent deal. As long that doesn't change, I will continue to insure my pets with them.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

When I decided to have my first dog, I knew I had to consider the cost of caring for him. It wasn’t just the initial check up, spading (which there are a lot of organization that will help with the cost) but the long term care I was concerned with. Being a senior on a fixed income, I knew that even the yearly check ups, getting nails clipped, heart worm medication and flea and tick protection would be costly. If there were sick visits on top of all that, my budget would never recover and I would end up in debt. I always said I would never have a pet if I couldn’t afford to care for him properly. My son told me about Nationwide Pet Ins. He had it and it reimbursed him 90% of all the expenses. Well I signed on. They reimbursed the money within a week to 10 days. It was a little stretch for me because my fixed income isn’t very high, but well worth it to have a companion. I never had to worry about taking care of him properly.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

I have had them for the past six years although I’ve only had minor problems with my pet. They have always been responsive to my needs and I have no problem collecting on my insurance. Although my premiums have gone up each year it is understandable that this happens and I was warned when I signed up for the plan that this would be occurring.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I have had a pretty good experience with Nationwide Pet Insurance. Customer Service is excellent. They always have the right answer and are always willing to help. Also, whenever I have any claims, the response and action is very quick. Good experience overall!

Original review: July 15, 2021

My experience with Nationwide Pet Insurance has been pure hell. With the exception of one pet care representative who has been AMAZING, everything else has been insanely stressful and emotionally draining. I know what a “pre-existing condition” is. Well aware. Yet when a false condition was placed on my puppy’s account any time I called to speak with someone helpful all I ever got was 45 explanations of the definition of a preexisting condition. Talk about frustrating! I even had one of their customer service reps tell me to file a formal complaint through the state of MI. They always want your medical records yet don’t seem to care what they say. I’ve had multiple vets write very specific things that are then twisted into something else and “oops sorry that’s part of a preexisting condition” type letters start rolling in.

For simple things such as flea and tick medicine this company is fine. It’s when you actually end up having an issue is when they totally screw you over and even if you find someone helpful to help re-submit the denied claims, they don’t seem to take the fax from the owner or veterinarian into consideration just what they want to interpret from the medical records. It’s just been a very frustrating, emotionally draining, and expensive two years with a puppy and nationwide has done nothing to make it easier.

I would also highly recommend always reviewing your claims when they are denied as I have had multiple instances where something is denied and I call about it and question it and I get told “oh that was a mistake, that should not have been denied“ so I guess always double check even though you’re supposed to be able to trust that they are doing their job! Just a very frustrated customer who is unfortunately stuck with this company now as if we were to cancel and go with any other company everything in their current medical records would become a pre-existing condition. Hopefully it will get better but I try not to get my hopes up anymore.

Original review: July 13, 2021

Nationwide is horrible pet insurance. I have 4 cats. All are healthy. Take cat 1 to the vet for a wellness exam and comprehensive checkup including blood pressure reading and blood work. Nationwide covered. Take cat 2 and 3 to the same vet for the exact same exam. Nationwide requests additional medical records and is dragging feet. Submitted records and communication is poor. Filed a complaint with state insurance commission. It is unbelievable coverage for simply wellness exam is not covered specifically when they say they will coverage 50% of costs past the 250 deductible.

Original review: July 12, 2021

My cat is fully vaccinated and updated. Unfortunately, he had a urinary passing issue last year for one day. Since it was on Sunday, I had to take him to emergency because his vet wasn't available on the weekend. After that, I took him to his vet, and he was wonderful. I did purchase Nationwide Insurance this year, and they gave my pre-existing cat conditions for his urinary. I told them that my cat didn't have this problem since last year, and it was only once. His documents proved that. They asked me to submit a claim for reviewing my cat documents. After I submitted all his papers, and after two months, they send a letter that they removed his pre-existing condition. Instead, they added two other pre-existing conditions for Obesity and Murmur because it was under his description when I took him to the emergency.

Nationwide even didn't care that my vet cat documents showed my cat is completely healthy with no issue. They just tried to put you in the process of sending a request for reviewing process and keep charging you for your pet insurance. If I knew that this company doesn't care about reality and customer time and service, I wouldn't purchase the insurance for my cats. So, to be short, I canceled my two cats' insurance too. Not wasting my time and money with this company.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Nationwide PET Insurance. Extremely disappointed. Since getting Nationwide as our pet insurance 3 years ago, it has been extremely hit and miss with getting our claims approved. I have a high maintenance French bulldog, two actually, and sadly it seems like a 50/50 chance every time I turn a claim in. Most recently, we had a 3 day ER stay as one of my dogs is a seizure pup. $4,000.00 plus dollars later, I turned in my claims to, disappointingly, have them denied in return. That was extremely disappointing and infuriating, as you pay for this and end up not getting covered for things you would think would be a common sense thing for pet insurance to cover such as ER visits, medicine, treatment, etc.

I called to speak to a representative to have our claims reviewed and the customer service member I spoke to was extremely nice. She told me to send in any additional notes, information and anything I could provide on top of my invoices and I did. I even had my neurologist/vet write a letter to our insurance stating everything and all the treatments and notes were involved. Much to my surprise, it was once again denied. We are extremely close to taking this to court to fight this. It is extremely unfortunate and disappointing that a legal battle should even be considered when you are dealing with insurance. Especially when you are looking to sign up for Nationwide Pet Insurance, it clearly states that it covers "accidents & illnesses, Some hereditary conditions, Cancer, Use any vet, including specialty & ER."

I have spent a total of up to $6,000.00 since then with follow up treatments and medicines, and continue to have all my claims denied. I turn them in every time, sadly knowing that it will most likely be denied. Worst part is we can't even switch insurances, or even upgrade our policy because everything we have been dealing with would be considered pre existing. Truly a shame and extremely disappointed. When people ask about getting Nationwide Pet Insurance, I tell them to not go with Nationwide based on my experience. And that is the saddest part of it all, especially because I will be stuck with them for our lifetime as we will continue to deal with these issues for my pups' whole life.

Original review: June 14, 2021

I joined VPI (Veterinary Pet Insurance) in 2014 and enrolled my 4 pets, 2 dogs and 2 cats, before Nationwide bought VPI. I was on the highest comprehensive plans called 'Major Medical' plans and these plans were advertised to offer comprehensive coverage for major issues and surgeries. I did not realize that after Nationwide bought VPI that it is not actually a Major plan anymore, they just kept the name, and when my dog had an emergency, I was out 5K for the surgery and hospitalization, and very little covered outside of that. I still owe over 1K more more everything else uncovered. They paid about 44% of my total costs for surgery which is not Major coverage and after the cap that's it.

When I called they said it is a grandfathered VPI plan and now they have better plans, which I did not know about. For $140 a month for 6 years that coverage is abysmal. The covered costs do not take into account location and costs in your area - DO NOT BUY THIS insurance!! They made 2 claim adjustments but really didn't offer me what I deserved or seem to care that I was a long-standing loyal customer. They could have upgraded my coverage early or at least more comprehensively covered my claim. Buyer Beware!

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Pet Insurance partner.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Company Information