2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.25/5

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Nationwide Pet Insurance, previously known as Veterinary Pet Insurance, or VPI, provides coverage for dogs, cats and exotic animals. Exotic animal plans cover birds, reptiles, amphibians, rodents and goats. Pet owners can choose from four insurance plans, including basic coverage and full wellness coverage. Costs are reasonable, and the company offers discounts. Customers can get free quotes online for dog and cat insurance but need to call Nationwide for exotic pet insurance quotes.

BOTTOM LINE

Nationwide Pet Insurance covers dogs, cats and exotic animals, offering basic plans and comprehensive wellness coverage. Nationwide offers coverage to pets of any age, though plans are limited for older animals.

PROS

• Multipet discounts
  • No maximum age limit
  • Covers exotic pets
  • Wellness coverage

CONS

• No online quotes for exotic pets
  • Limited plans for older pets

Top Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

I adopted a kitten in June of 2017 and purchased the Whole Pet with Wellness plan for him. ... It turned out my cat was cryptorchid and had to undergo surgery. ... I spent almost $5,000 in vet bills. They reimbursed me 90% of my vet bills with no questions asked. Everything has gone smoothly.

I have had Nationwide Pet Insurance for my two beagles for 8+ years. Nationwide reimbursed the majority of expenses associated with my Charlie’s splenectomy, cancer and associated chemo treatments. Their website is easy to navigate and submitting claims is fast with a great response time.

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

How does Nationwide Pet Insurance work?

Nationwide acquired VPI Pet Insurance, also called VPI, in 2014. For pet owners whose pets need medical care, Nationwide Pet Insurance can help save thousands of dollars through reimbursement of veterinarian bills.

Request a quote online through Nationwide’s secure site or by phone. To get started, provide your ZIP code and your pet’s name, age and breed. Nationwide Pet Insurance then provides a quote for review. There is a 14-day waiting period for coverage after making your first payment.

Nationwide Pet Insurance plans

Nationwide Pet Insurance offers four major plans for cats and dogs: Major Medical, Major Medical with Wellness, Whole Pet and Whole Pet with Wellness. Each plan includes nose-to-tail coverage, though conditions vary based on the plan type selected. All of these plans have a fixed deductible of $250.

Major Medical
    The most economical of Nationwide’s pet insurance plans, Major Medical covers basic accidents and illnesses and allows pet owners to use any veterinarian or hospital they like. The annual deductible for this plan is fixed at $250, and annual benefits are predefined depending on the condition. The Major Medical plan is not always available to older pets.
    Major Medical with Wellness
    A step up from the Major Medical plan, Nationwide’s Major Medical with Wellness plan also includes wellness exams, vaccinations, bloodwork and illness prevention. As with the Major Medical plan, the annual deductible is $250, and annual benefit limits depend on the condition. This plan is not always available to older pets.
    Whole Pet
    An option for older pets, Nationwide’s Whole Pet plan includes all the benefits of the Major Medical plan but adds some dental, behavioral, prescription and holistic treatment coverage. The annual deductible is fixed at $250 with $10,000 total annual benefits.
    Whole Pet with Wellness
    Nationwide’s most comprehensive and most customizable policy, Whole Pet with Wellness has a wide range of coverage. While the annual deductible is set at $250 and annual benefits are unlimited, pet owners have the option to adjust their reimbursement level from 90% to 70% or 50%. A lower reimbursement percentage lowers the cost of this plan.

Note that the above plans may not be available for exotic pets. Nationwide requires owners of birds, reptiles, rodents and other exotic pets to call a Nationwide Pet Insurance customer service representative to receive information about plans, coverage and costs.

Nationwide Pet Insurance coverage

Nationwide Pet Insurance covers accidents and illnesses and can also include preventive medicine, dental care, spaying, neutering and behavioral treatments. Nationwide’s most comprehensive plan, Whole Pet with Wellness, is the most expensive, but it also provides maximum benefits for pets of all types.

Compare coverage of Nationwide’s pet insurance plans:

Major MedicalMM + WellnessWhole PetWP + Wellness
    Major Medical
    MM + Wellness
    Whole Pet
    MP + Wellness

While each Nationwide Pet Insurance policy type has its advantages, many pet owners opt for the Major Medical with Wellness or Whole Pet with Wellness plan so their pets are fully covered.

Currently, Nationwide Pet Insurance does not cover:

• Preexisting conditions
    • Grooming, including nail trims and shampoos
    • Expenses not directly related to the veterinary bill, like credit card fees
    • Certain plan restrictions based on specific policy type

Nationwide Pet Insurance defines preexisting conditions as injuries or illnesses that occurred before coverage started. This exclusion includes some hereditary conditions.

At Nationwide Pet Insurance, dogs and cats won’t be dropped from coverage based on their age or the number of claims filed.

How much does Nationwide Pet Insurance cost?

Nationwide Pet Insurance quotes vary depending on the plan you choose, but Nationwide dog insurance costs between $26 and $60 per month for most breeds, while cat insurance costs between $13 and $46. For dogs and cats, customers get a free quote online, but if you’re looking into Nationwide’s exotic pet insurance, you need to call for a quote.

Nationwide Pet Insurance's prices vary based on the breed and age of your pet. If you’re looking for a low-cost plan, consider choosing one with a variable reimbursement percentage. Unlike most pet insurance providers, Nationwide Pet Insurance offers reimbursement percentages as low as 50%, which lets customers pay more out of pocket for a vet bill but less in their monthly premiums.

Discounts are available to policyholders who enroll two or more pets or those who are already members of Nationwide.

Nationwide Pet Insurance FAQ

Does Nationwide Pet Insurance cover spaying?
    Yes, the Whole Pet with Wellness plans offers coverage for spaying or neutering. The Whole Pet, Major Medical and the Major Medical with Wellness plans do not cover this service for any pet.
    Does Nationwide Pet Insurance cover emergency visits?
    Depending on the condition that needs treatment, some Nationwide Pet Insurance plans do cover emergency visits, which includes accidents and illnesses. Call a Nationwide customer service representative for more information.
    Does Nationwide Pet Insurance cover dental cleanings?
    The Whole Pet and Whole Pet with Wellness plans cover dental cleanings, but not all of Nationwide’s pet insurance plans do.
    Where can I find a Nationwide Pet Insurance claim form?
    To file a Nationwide Pet Insurance claim, policyholders visit the website or the VitusVet app. On the website, policyholders can download and complete the form and then return it and any paid invoices via email, fax or mail.

Is Nationwide Pet Insurance good?

Nationwide offers affordable pet insurance for dogs, cats and exotic animals. Although coverage is available for older animals, plans may be limited and premiums may be high. If you already have a policy with Nationwide or are looking to insure multiple pets, expect to receive discounts.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I've had my German Shepherd insured through Nationwide since 2015 (when they were Veterinary Pet Insurance). The annual premium appears to be set such that, if you do for the year are wellness visits to the vet *and* you purchase the usual meds (flea, tick, heartworm), you will recover the cost of the premium -- that is, you break even for the year. That's actually a pretty good deal, because if there are any unanticipated issues, then you're likely going to be saving money.

Of course, even just to break even, you do need to file claims for all of your costs -- i.e., vet visits, pharmaceuticals, etc. -- so there's a 'time' cost, but Nationwide has really streamlined their claims process. (I just filed a claim for a ** prescription, and it took me roughly two minutes, including the time to log in and get to the claims page.) Claims are reviewed and paid very quickly -- typically within 48 hours. Customer service is pleasant and very responsive, although hold times have increased recently. Overall, I have found Nationwide pet insurance to be an excellent deal. As long that doesn't change, I will continue to insure my pets with them.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

When I decided to have my first dog, I knew I had to consider the cost of caring for him. It wasn’t just the initial check up, spading (which there are a lot of organization that will help with the cost) but the long term care I was concerned with. Being a senior on a fixed income, I knew that even the yearly check ups, getting nails clipped, heart worm medication and flea and tick protection would be costly. If there were sick visits on top of all that, my budget would never recover and I would end up in debt. I always said I would never have a pet if I couldn’t afford to care for him properly. My son told me about Nationwide Pet Ins. He had it and it reimbursed him 90% of all the expenses. Well I signed on. They reimbursed the money within a week to 10 days. It was a little stretch for me because my fixed income isn’t very high, but well worth it to have a companion. I never had to worry about taking care of him properly.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

I have had them for the past six years although I’ve only had minor problems with my pet. They have always been responsive to my needs and I have no problem collecting on my insurance. Although my premiums have gone up each year it is understandable that this happens and I was warned when I signed up for the plan that this would be occurring.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I have had a pretty good experience with Nationwide Pet Insurance. Customer Service is excellent. They always have the right answer and are always willing to help. Also, whenever I have any claims, the response and action is very quick. Good experience overall!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

Overall definitely worth it. And if something unexpected comes up we’ll be covered. Gives peace of mind. Even covers well care and prescriptions pays 90 percent 250 deductible which you can use up in one visit. Glad I did it.

Original review: April 7, 2021

Basic summary: every claim you submit they will try to find a way to call it pre-existing conditions. My dog had diarrhea before, so any diarrhea in the future (even though it's a completely separate episode a year apart) is considered a pre-existing condition. For teeth cleaning, they won't cover your first teeth cleaning (even though my dogs teeth were cleaned < 1 year previous). I'd recommend to highly "RUN" away from Nationwide and save your $$$.

Original review: April 1, 2021

I submitted my first claim for my pet back on January 5th for the cost of x-rays on my dog's leg. At first they denied the claim stating that they needed medical records from November of 2020. I went back and supplied 2yrs worth of medical records. I then call back and was told that they will need an additional 30 days to review. This was on January 28th. I called back at the end of February only to be told that it will be another 30 days. Fast forward to today and I'm told that it could be up to 90 days. This makes absolutely no sense. They are giving customers the runaround. I'm paying for a service that is no good.

Original review: March 27, 2021

I have had Nationwide which used to be VPI for my dog for over thirteen years and paid a lot of money to them in annual premiums. They used to be great. Since taken over by Nationwide and especially in the past year their service is awful. They used to pay claims within a few weeks. They now sit for a month or more and then they say they need more information. You send them what they ask for and they leave it sit again. Then you hear nothing. When you call you are on hold for a good hour. At best you may get a rude customer service rep. who will be of no help. At worst they leave you on hold all that time and then the phone just disconnects. I have emailed and they do not respond to that either. They have absolutely no integrity and should be investigated for fraud.

Original review: March 11, 2021

Me and my husband bought a puppy in April and in November bought insurance through his work. It was Nationwide. At the end of January I had taken our puppy to the dog park and he was running with other dogs and twisted his leg. I took him to the veterinary and she put him on a anti inflammatory which didn't help. So we took had x-rays taken and the veterinary said that she thought he had an ACL tear or in a dog it's an CCL tear. So we took him to a specialist and had the tplo surgery done.

I filed the claim a day after each veterinary visit and his surgery when I received each invoice/receipt and they denied each claim staying they need medical records for our dog. I then provided the records about nine pages of records and then they tell me that it will take another sixty days before they look at the records I sent. They told me they needed to make sure that it isn't a preexisting condition in which I keep think he is a one year old puppy. How could anyone think it would be a preexisting condition. Then I am told that they could pay me but they can't say for sure. I think nationwide is the worst at customer service I have ever had to deal with.

Original review: March 9, 2021

First of all let me explain that when I first bought dog insurance from this company they were owned by another insurance company. I have had this insurance for almost 20 years between my two dogs who I adore. On small claims I find them to be adequate however, the reason you have this insurance is for major problems. Here's what they do.... When you have a surgery that they cover, they cover ONLY THE AMOUNT THEY FEEL THEY SHOULD PAY. My one dog sadly lost his leg and there were over $7000.00 of vet bills. The insurance only paid a little over $2000 because they said the surgery was more than their amount. I called vets who did this all over the Chicago area and all agreed their fee was more in line with my bill. After my one dog died, I decided to keep the insurance on my remaining dog as I had had the insurance since she was a pup.

Last year she ate some Christmas plastic greenery and had to have surgery to open her stomach. This was almost $3000.00 but I was hoping my insurance would be helpful. Well they sent me $1120.00 because once again that's all they would pay even though it was a very fair fee. Now here's the kicker...my dog who is fairly healthy just turned 13 and I just received a renewal notice from the for this year of over $3000.00. Yes $3000.00 and I paid about a $1000 last year but said, "Ok. She's older." I thought maybe the bill would be $1500 or so but NO IT WAS OVER $3000.00! I have been told by my vet there is some good dog insurances out there BUT NATIONWIDE IS NOT ONE OF THEM. SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

Nationwide Pet Insurance Company Information