Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.24/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Nationwide Pet Insurance, previously known as Veterinary Pet Insurance, or VPI, provides coverage for dogs, cats and exotic animals. Exotic animal plans cover birds, reptiles, amphibians, rodents and goats. Pet owners can choose from four insurance plans, including basic coverage and full wellness coverage. Costs are reasonable, and the company offers discounts. Customers can get free quotes online for dog and cat insurance but need to call Nationwide for exotic pet insurance quotes.

BOTTOM LINE

Nationwide Pet Insurance covers dogs, cats and exotic animals, offering basic plans and comprehensive wellness coverage. Nationwide offers coverage to pets of any age, though plans are limited for older animals.

PROS

• Multipet discounts
    • No maximum age limit
    • Covers exotic pets
    • Wellness coverage

CONS

• No online quotes for exotic pets
    • Limited plans for older pets

Top Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

I adopted a kitten in June of 2017 and purchased the Whole Pet with Wellness plan for him. ... It turned out my cat was cryptorchid and had to undergo surgery. ... I spent almost $5,000 in vet bills. They reimbursed me 90% of my vet bills with no questions asked. Everything has gone smoothly.

I have had Nationwide Pet Insurance for my two beagles for 8+ years. Nationwide reimbursed the majority of expenses associated with my Charlie’s splenectomy, cancer and associated chemo treatments. Their website is easy to navigate and submitting claims is fast with a great response time.

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

How does Nationwide Pet Insurance work?

Nationwide acquired VPI Pet Insurance, also called VPI, in 2014. For pet owners whose pets need medical care, Nationwide Pet Insurance can help save thousands of dollars through reimbursement of veterinarian bills.

Request a quote online through Nationwide’s secure site or by phone. To get started, provide your ZIP code and your pet’s name, age and breed. Nationwide Pet Insurance then provides a quote for review. There is a 14-day waiting period for coverage after making your first payment.

Nationwide Pet Insurance plans

Nationwide Pet Insurance offers four major plans for cats and dogs: Major Medical, Major Medical with Wellness, Whole Pet and Whole Pet with Wellness. Each plan includes nose-to-tail coverage, though conditions vary based on the plan type selected. All of these plans have a fixed deductible of $250.

Major Medical
        The most economical of Nationwide’s pet insurance plans, Major Medical covers basic accidents and illnesses and allows pet owners to use any veterinarian or hospital they like. The annual deductible for this plan is fixed at $250, and annual benefits are predefined depending on the condition. The Major Medical plan is not always available to older pets.
        Major Medical with Wellness
        A step up from the Major Medical plan, Nationwide’s Major Medical with Wellness plan also includes wellness exams, vaccinations, bloodwork and illness prevention. As with the Major Medical plan, the annual deductible is $250, and annual benefit limits depend on the condition. This plan is not always available to older pets.
        Whole Pet
        An option for older pets, Nationwide’s Whole Pet plan includes all the benefits of the Major Medical plan but adds some dental, behavioral, prescription and holistic treatment coverage. The annual deductible is fixed at $250 with $10,000 total annual benefits.
        Whole Pet with Wellness
        Nationwide’s most comprehensive and most customizable policy, Whole Pet with Wellness has a wide range of coverage. While the annual deductible is set at $250 and annual benefits are unlimited, pet owners have the option to adjust their reimbursement level from 90% to 70% or 50%. A lower reimbursement percentage lowers the cost of this plan.

Note that the above plans may not be available for exotic pets. Nationwide requires owners of birds, reptiles, rodents and other exotic pets to call a Nationwide Pet Insurance customer service representative to receive information about plans, coverage and costs.

Nationwide Pet Insurance coverage

Nationwide Pet Insurance covers accidents and illnesses and can also include preventive medicine, dental care, spaying, neutering and behavioral treatments. Nationwide’s most comprehensive plan, Whole Pet with Wellness, is the most expensive, but it also provides maximum benefits for pets of all types.

Compare coverage of Nationwide’s pet insurance plans:

Major MedicalMM + WellnessWhole PetWP + Wellness
        Major Medical
        MM + Wellness
        Whole Pet
        MP + Wellness

While each Nationwide Pet Insurance policy type has its advantages, many pet owners opt for the Major Medical with Wellness or Whole Pet with Wellness plan so their pets are fully covered.

Currently, Nationwide Pet Insurance does not cover:

• Preexisting conditions
        • Grooming, including nail trims and shampoos
        • Expenses not directly related to the veterinary bill, like credit card fees
        • Certain plan restrictions based on specific policy type

Nationwide Pet Insurance defines preexisting conditions as injuries or illnesses that occurred before coverage started. This exclusion includes some hereditary conditions.

At Nationwide Pet Insurance, dogs and cats won’t be dropped from coverage based on their age or the number of claims filed.

How much does Nationwide Pet Insurance cost?

Nationwide Pet Insurance quotes vary depending on the plan you choose, but Nationwide dog insurance costs between $26 and $60 per month for most breeds, while cat insurance costs between $13 and $46. For dogs and cats, customers get a free quote online, but if you’re looking into Nationwide’s exotic pet insurance, you need to call for a quote.

Nationwide Pet Insurance's prices vary based on the breed and age of your pet. If you’re looking for a low-cost plan, consider choosing one with a variable reimbursement percentage. Unlike most pet insurance providers, Nationwide Pet Insurance offers reimbursement percentages as low as 50%, which lets customers pay more out of pocket for a vet bill but less in their monthly premiums.

Discounts are available to policyholders who enroll two or more pets or those who are already members of Nationwide.

Nationwide Pet Insurance FAQ

Does Nationwide Pet Insurance cover spaying?
        Yes, the Whole Pet with Wellness plans offers coverage for spaying or neutering. The Whole Pet, Major Medical and the Major Medical with Wellness plans do not cover this service for any pet.
        Does Nationwide Pet Insurance cover emergency visits?
        Depending on the condition that needs treatment, some Nationwide Pet Insurance plans do cover emergency visits, which includes accidents and illnesses. Call a Nationwide customer service representative for more information.
        Does Nationwide Pet Insurance cover dental cleanings?
        The Whole Pet and Whole Pet with Wellness plans cover dental cleanings, but not all of Nationwide’s pet insurance plans do.
        Where can I find a Nationwide Pet Insurance claim form?
        To file a Nationwide Pet Insurance claim, policyholders visit the website or the VitusVet app. On the website, policyholders can download and complete the form and then return it and any paid invoices via email, fax or mail.

Is Nationwide Pet Insurance good?

Nationwide offers affordable pet insurance for dogs, cats and exotic animals. Although coverage is available for older animals, plans may be limited and premiums may be high. If you already have a policy with Nationwide or are looking to insure multiple pets, expect to receive discounts.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I have had Nationwide Pet Insurance for my two beagles for 8+ years as I never wanted to make economic decisions in the event of a serious illness. Nationwide reimbursed a substantial portion when my oldest dog needed back surgery and my recently reimbursed the majority of expenses associated with my Charlie’s splenectomy, cancer and associated chemo treatments. Their website is easy to navigate and submitting claims is fast with a great response time.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

As a veterinarian, I know how expensive pet emergencies can be and did not want to be left in a terrible dilemma should my 9month old puppy become sick, eat something she shouldn’t have or hurt herself. I recommend pet insurance to all my new puppy owners just for these reasons. Unfortunately my puppy tragically passed away in a hiking accident when out with my partner just one day after her insurance kicked in. Unfortunately her injury took her instantly and there was nothing we could do. I called Nationwide to cancel my policy which was very easy and they were very compassionate. About a week later we found our silver lining pup and so I got insurance once again.

I just received a letter today expressing their condolences on the lost of our first puppy and they informed me they were refunding me for the premium. I was so surprised but it really helped lift the financial burden I found myself in after putting in $394 for our puppy who tragically passed. I was not expecting this refund nor did I ask for it. Thank you Nationwide for understanding the human animal bond and understanding that unfortunate accidents happen and providing me with a little financial relief during this hard time.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 22, 2019

Nationwide Pet Insurance was the perfect addition to my work benefits. Once I enrolled, I designated the premium to be automatically taken out of my paycheck. Because my cat was already up to date with all his health and dental needs prior to me purchasing the "Whole Pet with Wellness" plan, it was simply a precaution against a worst-case scenario. Unfortunately, the scenario came to fruition when my Shadow had to be rushed into surgery for a blockage in his small intestine. He was hospitalized for 3 nights and needed around the clock IV fluids. This was an expensive emergency! While I had to pay the 5k upfront, once I submitted my receipts for reimbursement the processing, approval, and payout time took place within a week. This is why I bought the insurance, for emergencies and I'm glad I did! It saved my wallet, my credit, and most importantly, my Shadowcat's life! Thanks Nationwide!!!

Original review: May 16, 2019

I read other reviews before I got this insurance, which made me concerned about it - but the policy seemed solid so I paid for it. The policy I paid for was the "Whole Pet with Wellness" policy, $100 deducible and 90% reimbursement for a wide variety of conditions. Now, having read the reviews, I was aware that some were complaining that the company didn't cover expenses that they hadn't paid for insurance for. Right now Nationwide has three different plans, and I picked the most expensive, which covered injuries/illness/general wellness like vaccinations. If you choose the plan that only covers vaccinations/spaying and neutering/etc, they won't cover injuries.

However, with the amount of complaints I was still concerned. On May 1st, our big fluffboy started limping very badly. He didn't want to put any weight on his front paw. We weren't sure what happened, and ended up rushing him to the vet. No breaks, no fractures, but they had to put him to sleep for the checkup because he was so scared. They even shaved his shoulder to check for injuries, but there wasn't much to find, so it was probably just a bad sprain.

Anyway, I submitted my claim on May 2nd, with all the paperwork from the vet attached, and fully expected to get the run around. Today I got the response that the claim was accepted and they're sending a check. No hassle. I just made sure I turned in necessary information and explained what happened and it went very smoothly. Took about 2 weeks. Needless to say I'm very happy right now and glad I have him covered. The coverage has paid about 70% for itself already and he'll still be covered until into the beginning of next year. It's been worth it for me, at least. Even if I don't have to use it again - and hopefully I don't need to - the peace of mind will be worth it.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I have had this insurance company coverage and paying premiums for 11 years. Now that my dog is 11 years old, they have increased my monthly premium by $60 a month!!! When I asked why they said it was because of her age. It is terrible that they are now price gouging me now when Beatriz is getting older and probably needs her insurance more than she has before. There is no loyalty for customers, beware and really look at your options before considering a long term commitment to this company. There is no way to appeal the financial decisions they make for your beloved pet. They are forcing me to make a very hard decision. Shame on them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I got this insurance through work and have an English Bulldog. They denied every claim I submitted for him in a year and looked for loopholes to not cover any of it. This is a SCAM. Do not use them! I read every experience list on this site and can say at least I dropped them before they tired to hike my premiums for having a high risk dog, but short of that I experienced every other thing on here. I have nothing good to say about them!!!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

We enrolled our dog in what was then VPI when our now 8 1/2 year old dog was just about eight weeks old. We had wellness and major medical coverage for her first year, and then switched to just the major medical coverage because it was more economical. Our dog has always been healthy and our claims were minimal (a couple of porcupine quills, an ear infection and other minor medical events). Because of this, we thought the coverage was good and fair. After our deductible we were reimbursed in the neighborhood of 80 percent. For the last four years, our premiums went up quite a bit, but we stayed loyal to Nationwide--thinking we were covered in the event that there was a medical crisis.

Well, here we are in the midst of a medical crisis. Our dog was diagnosed with cancer about a month ago, and as it turns out, Nationwide has not been on our side. Their major medical coverage is a benefit schedule (unless you are willing to pay for their pricey Whole Pet Wellness plan, though even that has a lot of exclusions). And the benefit schedule is both confusing and completely out of touch with the reality of what pet care costs for a major medical event. To be truly informed, you would have to translate the medical-ese of the benefit schedule and then research the cost for a whole host of medical issues. And then read all of the fine, fine print of medical exclusions (including certain kinds of cancers). The good news for us is that our dog's cancer was not included in the exclusion list.

The bad news is that the "coverage" being provided amounts to about 30 percent of the costs we have incurred for the diagnosis and treatment. Take, for example, Nationwide's allowance for diagnostic testing: It is $1600 for the policy term (not annual). To diagnose and treat our dog required two CT scans. Just one CT scan costs nearly that. (Note that the annual allowance for the CT scan is less than that.) If you needed an ultrasound and a CT scan to diagnose a condition you would have used up your entire allowance for diagnostic testing for the pet's life.

I have appealed the claims they have denied because we have used up our paltry allowance for her diagnosis, but do not expect any change. Subsequently, we have cancelled our policy for our younger dog and chosen a different insurer that has a policy that is explained in much clearer terms and offers far more comprehensive coverage for the same price. Unfortunately, we will have to stay with Nationwide for the dog who is sick.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

My lab is almost 15 years old and we started this coverage back when it was VPI pet insurance. My premium is now up to $100 per month and they cover NOTHING. We have been lucky he’s been pretty healthy so far but recently his arthritis has gotten worse leading to a few more vet visits. His last visit cost $350 and they covered $25. Ridiculous! They also cover less and less of his yearly exam each year. There is no point in paying this costly premium that covers nothing.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

Absolutely awful. They love to take advantage of people. They are the typical insurance company that is out for your money. I pay for dental and they told me that because of my cat's tooth resorption they won't pay for it. I called to try and get this fixed and they were the most unhelpful people I've ever had the displeasure of talking to. I am a vet student. I know the medical side of veterinary medicine. Tooth resorption has NOTHING to do with teeth cleaning or the standard of care of taking radiographs before a cleaning. And yet that's what they told me. And, for my other cat, they tried to tell me that the bloodwork I got was "screening for a behavioral issue". What utter nonsense.

WARNING: if they say they don't cover something, like say it got called a pre-existing condition, if that something is even part of the bill they take an arbitrary amount of money from every cost on that bill EVEN IF IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PRE-EXISTING CONDITION! Please do yourself and your pet a favor and don't get this insurance unless they are a young kitten or puppy with no documented health concerns.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I rescued a 3 yr old, Old English Bulldog, Stella, I purchased pet insurance through Nationwide pet insurance. Every time I take her to the vet they refused to pay any of my claims! They deem EVERYTHING as a pre-existing condition and say it's not covered. I recently submitted a claim for $450 for her annual physical, heartworm check, vaccines, etc and they refused it, claiming they don't cover vaccines. It's so frustrating! When asked why everything is considered a pre-existing condition? I was told since she is a rescue there is no way to determine what is a "new" issue. And that is how they get you! It's a racket! I cancelled her insurance immediately. No reason to pay an additional $500 for nothing!

Nationwide Pet Insurance Company Information