Spot Pet Insurance

Spot Pet Insurance©

4.4/5 (71 ratings)
Spot Pet Insurance©

About Spot Pet Insurance©

Spot Pet Insurance focuses on providing pet owners with the tools needed to keep your pet healthy. The company covers a wide range of needs, including accident care, medications, diagnostics and alternative therapies. Spot also offers preventative plans that include dental cleanings and flea prevention for an additional cost.

Pros

• No age or claim limits
  • Covers alternative therapies
  • Flexible coverage plans

Cons

• Higher premiums for older pets
  • No preexisting condition coverage

Bottom Line

Spot Pet Insurance offers flexible coverage plans and options for different levels of coverage. Like most pet insurance provides, Spot doesn’t cover preexisting conditions. However, accident-only coverage is available.

How Spot Pet Insurance works

Spot Pet Insurance helps cover the cost of expensive vet bills when your pets are hurt or sick.

It works a lot like human health insurance regarding deductibles, premiums and preexisting conditions. There is also a 14-day waiting period between the day you purchase the coverage and when your pet begins coverage.

Insurance is one of those things that you hope you never have to use but are always thankful for when you do. Here’s how it works if your pet gets hurt or sick:

1. Take your pet to the licensed vet of your choice.
  2. Get treatment and pay the bill.
  3. Submit your claim on the Spot Pet Insurance website by mail, phone, or fax.
  4. Receive reimbursement for your expenses based on your coverage plan.

Spot also gives you access to a 24/7 vet helpline by VetConnect that you can use for any questions related to your pet's health.

What does Spot Pet Insurance cover?

Spot Pet Insurance plans cover a range of illnesses and conditions that your cat or dog may experience in their lifetime. The company offers multiple coverage options, including:

Accident-only coverage
The accident-only policy does not cover any expenses related to illness. Accident-only coverage covers unexpected treatments your pet may need as a result of an accident, including:
  • Alternative therapy
  • End-of-life expenses
  • IV fluids and medications
  • Veterinary treatment and medical supplies
  • MRIs
  • Tooth extractions
  • Poison control consultations
  • Prescription medicine and supplements
  • Surgery and hospitalization
  • Stem cell therapy
Accident and illness coverage
Spot Pet Insurance’s accident and illness coverage, also called Spot-On Coverage, is a more comprehensive option that covers everything on the accident-only plan plus expenses related to the diagnosis and treatment of illnesses. Spot-On Coverage also covers the cost of microchipping your pet. This plan does not include expenses like breeding and pregnancy costs, boarding, grooming or other elective or cosmetic services.
Coverage exclusions
Before choosing an insurance plan for your pet, it’s crucial to understand what’s not covered so there aren’t any misunderstandings. Some of the most common coverage exclusions include:
  • Preexisting conditions
  • Aesthetic dental services
  • Conditions occurring within the policy waiting period
  • Grooming and nonmedical supplies
  • Non-FDA treatment or supplements
  • Pet diets
  • Daycare or boarding

How much does Spot Pet Insurance cost?

The monthly cost of Spot Pet Insurance depends on your location and the coverage options you select. You can get a free Spot Pet Insurance quote on its website and customize your deductibles, premiums and reimbursement percentages. The premium is based on your pet's age, breed and where your pet lives.

Using the website’s free quote tool, we found that accident and illness coverage with 80% reimbursement and a $5,000 annual limit for a 2-year-old Cairn Terrier mix ranged from around $20 to $40 each month, depending on the deductible. Accident-only coverage with the same reimbursement and annual limit ranged from $15 to $20 a month.

Spot offers a 30-day money-back guarantee as long as you have made no claims on the policy. The guarantee is not available in New York.

Spot Pet Insurance FAQ

Do all vets accept Spot Pet Insurance?
Yes. Pet health insurance is much simpler than human health insurance, which usually requires you to check with a doctor to ensure they accept your insurance. You can use Spot Pet Insurance at any licensed veterinary office.
Does Spot Pet Insurance cover emergency visits?
Yes. Spot Pet Insurance covers emergency visits.
How do you get Spot Pet Insurance?
You can get Spot Pet Insurance anytime in four steps:
  1. Choose the plan and coverage options that make the most sense for your pet.
  2. Determine all of your pet’s preexisting conditions.
  3. Gather all available medical records and treatment history from your veterinarian.
  4. Purchase the plan. There is a 14-day waiting period between the day you purchase the coverage and when your pet begins coverage.

Is Spot Pet Insurance worth it?

Yes, Spot Pet Insurance is worth it. If you’ve ever been hit with unexpected vet bills before, you know how expensive they can be. Spot Pet Insurance offers comprehensive coverage options so you can always take good care of your pet without breaking the bank. Spot Pet Insurance allows you to invest a little each month and offers reassurance that if your pet gets hurt or sick, you can take care of them without worrying about being overwhelmed with bills.

Spot Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spot Pet Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spot Pet Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

I have had Spot for my cat, Blue, for about a year now and have had a great experience with Spot. We have never had a claim denied and the reimbursements have been quick (aside from our first claim which they needed Blue's full records from the vet). Every time I have had questions their customer service has been very helpful and kind.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 29, 2022

Wow, Spot made my recent trip to the vet simplistic. This company has 24 hour help that guided me on the next steps to take after my poodle swallowed something on a walk. I submitted the claim and it was resolved in a timely manner as well!

Original review: March 10, 2022

After switching over from Embrace, I can confidently say Spot is the best pet insurance provider. Spot’s customer service is fantastic. Whenever I have questions about claims, they always get back to me quickly and thoroughly. Plus, they gave me a $25 Amazon gift card for signing up. Highly recommend!

Original review: March 10, 2022

Spot has been a joy to work with. Not only is the coverage very reasonable and reliable, the people who work there seem to care and understand the importance of a pet in someone’s life. The overall experience with Spot has been delightful and me and my lil buddy can’t recommend it enough!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

If on the fence in getting insurance coverage for a beloved animal companion, this company is absolutely legit. They have an incredibly easy and fast claims process and superb coverage throughout all their stages of life just as they claim. Grateful for their service.

Original review: July 7, 2022

Unless you enjoy throwing your hard earned dollars down the drain...Run...not walk away from Spot Pet Insurance! The worst company I have ever dealt with in my life. I purchased the most expensive policy they have....I was paying $118 per month for my dog. The only claim That I ever filed...they pulled every stall tactic in the book! I uploaded every single record for my dog....he was only 1 year old so there wasn't a ton of paperwork. They kept asking me for the same forms over and over. They claim they process their claims in 3 days! What a load of crap...3 weeks after I filed my claim I was still waiting for an answer & every time I logged into my account it still said they were waiting for the same paperwork that I sent over and over again. Like all the other reviews...they denied the claim with no reason whatsoever. This company is just a sham!

Original review: June 7, 2022

Spot has a great staff, and is very much worth it! I was worried I wouldn't be able to find a company I trusted, but they are great. Very helpful and user-friendly! I wouldn't trust my pets with anyone else.

Original review: May 23, 2022

My experience with Spot has been poor. It seems they are deeply understaffed as any claim I have submitted has been a huge effort in futility. Spot continuously will respond saying they are missing medical records despite you giving them the information. They will again respond to this by changing the dates of the information required and eventually "close" the claim reporting denied coverage due to inadequate medical records. Multiple phone calls to their customer service confirms that these documents are received and all you can do is call back and wait. Eventually the claim will be closed citing medical records. This cannot be legal.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

Just want to say, so far I am pleased with how quickly they reimburse for all claims we have instigated. It is a pleasure to work with a insurance company that does not try to find loopholes to delay payment or not to pay at all. Thank you Spot Pet Insurance.

Spot Pet Insurance response
    Hi Bill,
    Thank you for the positive feedback! Please reach out to us if you ever have any questions.

~The SPOT Family

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

I recently submitted a claim for Tito's vet visit for itching. It was 0% covered. Must admit this is partly my fault. I thought I bought a policy that covered medical issues, and apparently, for $43.54 a month, all I have is a policy that covers accidents. When I spoke to a rep this morning, she was very helpful, but I came to the conclusion that coverage that actually means anything will be upwards of $90 a month. I'll be looking for another carrier.

Spot Pet Insurance response

Hi, Linda! Spot plans cover exam fees, diagnostics, treatments, medications, and alternative therapies for accidents and illnesses, including cancer and hereditary problems. We also have a variety of ways to customize coverage to fit your needs and budget. We'd be happy to discuss if you'd like you to give us a call at 1-800-905-1595

Spot Pet Insurance© Company Information