Spot Pet Insurance

Spot Pet Insurance©

4.4/5 (55 ratings)
Spot Pet Insurance©

About Spot Pet Insurance©

Spot Pet Insurance focuses on providing pet owners with the tools needed to keep your pet healthy. The company covers a wide range of needs, including accident care, medications, diagnostics and alternative therapies. Spot also offers preventative plans that include dental cleanings and flea prevention for an additional cost.

Pros

• No age or claim limits
  • Covers alternative therapies
  • Flexible coverage plans

Cons

• Higher premiums for older pets
  • No preexisting condition coverage

Bottom Line

Spot Pet Insurance offers flexible coverage plans and options for different levels of coverage. Like most pet insurance provides, Spot doesn’t cover preexisting conditions. However, accident-only coverage is available.

How Spot Pet Insurance works

Spot Pet Insurance helps cover the cost of expensive vet bills when your pets are hurt or sick.

It works a lot like human health insurance regarding deductibles, premiums and preexisting conditions. There is also a 14-day waiting period between the day you purchase the coverage and when your pet begins coverage.

Insurance is one of those things that you hope you never have to use but are always thankful for when you do. Here’s how it works if your pet gets hurt or sick:

1. Take your pet to the licensed vet of your choice.
  2. Get treatment and pay the bill.
  3. Submit your claim on the Spot Pet Insurance website by mail, phone, or fax.
  4. Receive reimbursement for your expenses based on your coverage plan.

Spot also gives you access to a 24/7 vet helpline by VetConnect that you can use for any questions related to your pet's health.

What does Spot Pet Insurance cover?

Spot Pet Insurance plans cover a range of illnesses and conditions that your cat or dog may experience in their lifetime. The company offers multiple coverage options, including:

Accident-only coverage
The accident-only policy does not cover any expenses related to illness. Accident-only coverage covers unexpected treatments your pet may need as a result of an accident, including:
  • Alternative therapy
  • End-of-life expenses
  • IV fluids and medications
  • Veterinary treatment and medical supplies
  • MRIs
  • Tooth extractions
  • Poison control consultations
  • Prescription medicine and supplements
  • Surgery and hospitalization
  • Stem cell therapy
Accident and illness coverage
Spot Pet Insurance’s accident and illness coverage, also called Spot-On Coverage, is a more comprehensive option that covers everything on the accident-only plan plus expenses related to the diagnosis and treatment of illnesses. Spot-On Coverage also covers the cost of microchipping your pet. This plan does not include expenses like breeding and pregnancy costs, boarding, grooming or other elective or cosmetic services.
Coverage exclusions
Before choosing an insurance plan for your pet, it’s crucial to understand what’s not covered so there aren’t any misunderstandings. Some of the most common coverage exclusions include:
  • Preexisting conditions
  • Aesthetic dental services
  • Conditions occurring within the policy waiting period
  • Grooming and nonmedical supplies
  • Non-FDA treatment or supplements
  • Pet diets
  • Daycare or boarding

How much does Spot Pet Insurance cost?

The monthly cost of Spot Pet Insurance depends on your location and the coverage options you select. You can get a free Spot Pet Insurance quote on its website and customize your deductibles, premiums and reimbursement percentages. The premium is based on your pet's age, breed and where your pet lives.

Using the website’s free quote tool, we found that accident and illness coverage with 80% reimbursement and a $5,000 annual limit for a 2-year-old Cairn Terrier mix ranged from around $20 to $40 each month, depending on the deductible. Accident-only coverage with the same reimbursement and annual limit ranged from $15 to $20 a month.

Spot offers a 30-day money-back guarantee as long as you have made no claims on the policy. The guarantee is not available in New York.

Spot Pet Insurance FAQ

Do all vets accept Spot Pet Insurance?
Yes. Pet health insurance is much simpler than human health insurance, which usually requires you to check with a doctor to ensure they accept your insurance. You can use Spot Pet Insurance at any licensed veterinary office.
Does Spot Pet Insurance cover emergency visits?
Yes. Spot Pet Insurance covers emergency visits.
How do you get Spot Pet Insurance?
You can get Spot Pet Insurance anytime in four steps:
  1. Choose the plan and coverage options that make the most sense for your pet.
  2. Determine all of your pet’s preexisting conditions.
  3. Gather all available medical records and treatment history from your veterinarian.
  4. Purchase the plan. There is a 14-day waiting period between the day you purchase the coverage and when your pet begins coverage.

Is Spot Pet Insurance worth it?

Yes, Spot Pet Insurance is worth it. If you’ve ever been hit with unexpected vet bills before, you know how expensive they can be. Spot Pet Insurance offers comprehensive coverage options so you can always take good care of your pet without breaking the bank. Spot Pet Insurance allows you to invest a little each month and offers reassurance that if your pet gets hurt or sick, you can take care of them without worrying about being overwhelmed with bills.

Spot Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spot Pet Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spot Pet Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I signed up for Spot Pet Insurance earlier this year. My dog, Penny, a 10 year old Border Collie, and the light of my life, was healthy but getting older. On July 4th, I spotted blood in her urine. Thinking it might be a UTI, I took her to the vet for routine tests and medication. I was not prepared for her diagnosis... TCC! We were referred to an oncologist for treatment. Thank God for Spot! We were able to start her on meds right away. Unfortunately, cancer is very expensive and we went through our benefits in a couple of months. But Spot paid our bills promptly and at a time like this, it was much appreciated.

Hi Julianne,
We’re so glad you had a positive experience and got your Border Collie the help that she needed! Wishing you happy wags!

~The SPOT Family

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

We didn't anticipate thousands of dollars in medical costs within the first year when we rescued a 4 lb 13 week old Chihuahua mix puppy. She is the whole world to us but has had several illnesses and accidents, plus needed dental surgery for a retained deciduous tooth. Spot was great at covering these costs and reimbursing quickly. They even cover the holistic side of things like acupuncture, chiropractic, and cold laser therapy, which is AMAZING. My only complaint is that my monthly rate went from $50/mo to $70/mo in one year, and my dog isn't even two yet. If this continues, I don't know how long I'll be able to afford insurance. For now, we are grateful for the coverage and care by Spot.

Spot Pet Insurance response

Hi Lindsay – We do our best to keep our plans as affordable as possible while still being able to support customers in seeking the best vet care. Rate increases account for increased pet age, advancements in vet technology and rising treatment costs, the general cost of care in your area, and several other factors. All premiums are based on rates filed with your state’s Department of Insurance, and we work to keep our premiums competitive. Please call us if you would like more information or options for your pet’s specific premium: 1-800-905-1595.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

SPOT Pet Insurance has fantastic customer service. Last April I was put in a position that no pet owner ever wants to be in-- my golden retriever, Lucy, needed costly emergency surgery in order to save her life. The employee who handled my claim was incredibly kind, empathetic, communicative, and timely. Lucy had her surgery, it was covered by my SPOT Pet Insurance, and they had reimbursed me for her surgery within 48 hours. Beyond that, the employee who handled my claim continued to check up on Lucy throughout the week after. Lucy made a full recovery and is doing great! I recommended SPOT to several of my friends and they have insurance policies on their pets through them now as well. Wonderful service, highly recommended!

Hi Kristen,
    We’re so glad you had a positive experience and got your golden retriever the help that she needed! Wishing you happy wags!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

No pet insurance is ever perfect and this one is just ok. The first year was extremely affordable, however when it came time to renew they raised the monthly premium to $25 more. My dog now has a pre-existing condition so I can’t even go to another company because no one will cover the issue. As far as being reimbursed, sometimes it takes a couple days, sometimes it takes a week. Overall, it is pretty similar to Healthy Paws which is crazy more expensive.

Spot Pet Insurance response

Hi Alex – We do our best to keep our plans as affordable as possible while still being able to support customers in seeking the best vet care. Rate increases account for increased pet age, advancements in vet technology and rising treatment costs, the general cost of care in your area, and several other factors. All premiums are based on rates filed with your state’s Department of Insurance, and we work to keep our premiums competitive. Please call us if you would like more information or options for your pet’s specific premium: 1-800-905-1595.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Spot has been really good about coverage. There haven't really been any unexpected surprises. I have the Peace of mind of knowing my pets are covered and I get the 10% discount because I have more than one pet with them. The only complaints I have are that it is really hard to get hold of them by phone, hold times are really long. The other complaint is that they are very slow to reimburse. They do reimburse, but it takes them a long time. I have a claim in now for a condition they've paid for before so they don't have to collect anything new from the veterinarians, it should be quite straightforward but it's been two weeks already and it's still processing.

Spot Pet Insurance response

Hi, Rhonda! We make every effort to process claims as quickly as possible and will update the status in the Member Center as your claim continues through review. We’d be happy to discuss your claims in further detail if you’d like to give us a call at 1-800-905-1595.

Original review: March 10, 2022

After switching over from Embrace, I can confidently say Spot is the best pet insurance provider. Spot’s customer service is fantastic. Whenever I have questions about claims, they always get back to me quickly and thoroughly. Plus, they gave me a $25 Amazon gift card for signing up. Highly recommend!

Original review: March 10, 2022

Spot has been a joy to work with. Not only is the coverage very reasonable and reliable, the people who work there seem to care and understand the importance of a pet in someone’s life. The overall experience with Spot has been delightful and me and my lil buddy can’t recommend it enough!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

If on the fence in getting insurance coverage for a beloved animal companion, this company is absolutely legit. They have an incredibly easy and fast claims process and superb coverage throughout all their stages of life just as they claim. Grateful for their service.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

Just want to say, so far I am pleased with how quickly they reimburse for all claims we have instigated. It is a pleasure to work with a insurance company that does not try to find loopholes to delay payment or not to pay at all. Thank you Spot Pet Insurance.

Hi Bill,
    Thank you for the positive feedback! Please reach out to us if you ever have any questions.

~The SPOT Family

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

I recently submitted a claim for Tito's vet visit for itching. It was 0% covered. Must admit this is partly my fault. I thought I bought a policy that covered medical issues, and apparently, for $43.54 a month, all I have is a policy that covers accidents. When I spoke to a rep this morning, she was very helpful, but I came to the conclusion that coverage that actually means anything will be upwards of $90 a month. I'll be looking for another carrier.

Spot Pet Insurance response

Hi, Linda! Spot plans cover exam fees, diagnostics, treatments, medications, and alternative therapies for accidents and illnesses, including cancer and hereditary problems. We also have a variety of ways to customize coverage to fit your needs and budget. We'd be happy to discuss if you'd like you to give us a call at 1-800-905-1595

Spot Pet Insurance© Company Information