Get Pricing

3. Pet Insurance
Spot Pet Insurance

4.4/5 (55 ratings)

About Spot Pet Insurance©

Spot Pet Insurance focuses on providing pet owners with the tools needed to keep your pet healthy. Spot is endorsed by Cesar Milan, a dog behaviorist known for his Emmy-nominated TV series, and the company covers a wide range of needs, including accident care, medications, diagnostics and alternative therapies. Spot also offers preventative plans that include dental cleanings and flea prevention for an additional cost.

Pros

• No age or claim limits
  • Covers alternative therapies
  • Flexible coverage plans

Cons

• Higher premiums for older pets
  • No preexisting condition coverage

Bottom Line

Spot Pet Insurance offers flexible coverage plans and options for different levels of coverage. Like most pet insurance provides, Spot doesn’t cover preexisting conditions. However, accident-only coverage is available.

How Spot Pet Insurance works

Spot Pet Insurance helps cover the cost of expensive vet bills when your pets are hurt or sick.

It works a lot like human health insurance regarding deductibles, premiums and preexisting conditions. There is also a 14-day waiting period between the day you purchase the coverage and when your pet begins coverage.

Insurance is one of those things that you hope you never have to use but are always thankful for when you do. Here’s how it works if your pet gets hurt or sick:

1. Take your pet to the licensed vet of your choice.
  2. Get treatment and pay the bill.
  3. Submit your claim on the Spot Pet Insurance website by mail, phone, or fax.
  4. Receive reimbursement for your expenses based on your coverage plan.

What does Spot Pet Insurance cover?

Spot Pet Insurance plans cover a range of illnesses and conditions that your cat or dog may experience in their lifetime. The company offers multiple coverage options, including:

Accident-only coverage
The accident-only policy does not cover any expenses related to illness. Accident-only coverage covers unexpected treatments your pet may need as a result of an accident, including:
  • Alternative therapy
  • End-of-life expenses
  • IV fluids and medications
  • Veterinary treatment and medical supplies
  • MRIs
  • Tooth extractions
  • Poison control consultations
  • Prescription medicine and supplements
  • Surgery and hospitalization
  • Stem cell therapy
Accident and illness coverage
Spot Pet Insurance’s accident and illness coverage, also called Spot-On Coverage, is a more comprehensive option that covers everything on the accident-only plan plus expenses related to the diagnosis and treatment of illnesses. Spot-On Coverage also covers the cost of microchipping your pet. This plan does not include expenses like breeding and pregnancy costs, boarding, grooming or other elective or cosmetic services.
Coverage exclusions
Before choosing an insurance plan for your pet, it’s crucial to understand what’s not covered so there aren’t any misunderstandings. Some of the most common coverage exclusions include:
  • Preexisting conditions
  • Aesthetic dental services
  • Conditions occurring within the policy waiting period
  • Grooming and nonmedical supplies
  • Non-FDA treatment or supplements
  • Pet diets
  • Daycare or boarding

How much does Spot Pet Insurance cost?

The monthly cost of Spot Pet Insurance depends on your location and the coverage options you select. You can get a free Spot Pet Insurance quote on its website and customize your deductibles, premiums and reimbursement percentages. The premium is based on your pet's age, breed and where your pet lives.

Using the website’s free quote tool, we found that accident and illness coverage with 80% reimbursement and a $5,000 annual limit for a 2-year-old Cairn Terrier mix ranged from around $20 to $40 each month, depending on the deductible. Accident-only coverage with the same reimbursement and annual limit ranged from $15 to $20 a month.

Spot offers a 30-day money-back guarantee as long as you have made no claims on the policy. The guarantee is not available in New York.

Spot Pet Insurance FAQ

Do all vets accept Spot Pet Insurance?
Yes. Pet health insurance is much simpler than human health insurance, which usually requires you to check with a doctor to ensure they accept your insurance. You can use Spot Pet Insurance at any licensed veterinary office.
Does Spot Pet Insurance cover emergency visits?
Yes. Spot Pet Insurance covers emergency visits.
How do you get Spot Pet Insurance?
You can get Spot Pet Insurance anytime in four steps:
  1. Choose the plan and coverage options that make the most sense for your pet.
  2. Determine all of your pet’s preexisting conditions.
  3. Gather all available medical records and treatment history from your veterinarian.
  4. Purchase the plan. There is a 14-day waiting period between the day you purchase the coverage and when your pet begins coverage.

Is Spot Pet Insurance worth it?

Yes, Spot Pet Insurance is worth it. If you’ve ever been hit with unexpected vet bills before, you know how expensive they can be. Spot Pet Insurance offers comprehensive coverage options so you can always take good care of your pet without breaking the bank. Spot Pet Insurance allows you to invest a little each month and offers reassurance that if your pet gets hurt or sick, you can take care of them without worrying about being overwhelmed with bills.

Spot Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spot Pet Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spot Pet Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I signed up for Spot Pet Insurance earlier this year. My dog, Penny, a 10 year old Border Collie, and the light of my life, was healthy but getting older. On July 4th, I spotted blood in her urine. Thinking it might be a UTI, I took her to the vet for routine tests and medication. I was not prepared for her diagnosis... TCC! We were referred to an oncologist for treatment. Thank God for Spot! We were able to start her on meds right away. Unfortunately, cancer is very expensive and we went through our benefits in a couple of months. But Spot paid our bills promptly and at a time like this, it was much appreciated.

Hi Julianne,
We’re so glad you had a positive experience and got your Border Collie the help that she needed! Wishing you happy wags!

~The SPOT Family

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

We didn't anticipate thousands of dollars in medical costs within the first year when we rescued a 4 lb 13 week old Chihuahua mix puppy. She is the whole world to us but has had several illnesses and accidents, plus needed dental surgery for a retained deciduous tooth. Spot was great at covering these costs and reimbursing quickly. They even cover the holistic side of things like acupuncture, chiropractic, and cold laser therapy, which is AMAZING. My only complaint is that my monthly rate went from $50/mo to $70/mo in one year, and my dog isn't even two yet. If this continues, I don't know how long I'll be able to afford insurance. For now, we are grateful for the coverage and care by Spot.

Spot Pet Insurance response

Hi Lindsay – We do our best to keep our plans as affordable as possible while still being able to support customers in seeking the best vet care. Rate increases account for increased pet age, advancements in vet technology and rising treatment costs, the general cost of care in your area, and several other factors. All premiums are based on rates filed with your state’s Department of Insurance, and we work to keep our premiums competitive. Please call us if you would like more information or options for your pet’s specific premium: 1-800-905-1595.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

SPOT Pet Insurance has fantastic customer service. Last April I was put in a position that no pet owner ever wants to be in-- my golden retriever, Lucy, needed costly emergency surgery in order to save her life. The employee who handled my claim was incredibly kind, empathetic, communicative, and timely. Lucy had her surgery, it was covered by my SPOT Pet Insurance, and they had reimbursed me for her surgery within 48 hours. Beyond that, the employee who handled my claim continued to check up on Lucy throughout the week after. Lucy made a full recovery and is doing great! I recommended SPOT to several of my friends and they have insurance policies on their pets through them now as well. Wonderful service, highly recommended!

Hi Kristen,
    We’re so glad you had a positive experience and got your golden retriever the help that she needed! Wishing you happy wags!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

No pet insurance is ever perfect and this one is just ok. The first year was extremely affordable, however when it came time to renew they raised the monthly premium to $25 more. My dog now has a pre-existing condition so I can’t even go to another company because no one will cover the issue. As far as being reimbursed, sometimes it takes a couple days, sometimes it takes a week. Overall, it is pretty similar to Healthy Paws which is crazy more expensive.

Spot Pet Insurance response

Hi Alex – We do our best to keep our plans as affordable as possible while still being able to support customers in seeking the best vet care. Rate increases account for increased pet age, advancements in vet technology and rising treatment costs, the general cost of care in your area, and several other factors. All premiums are based on rates filed with your state’s Department of Insurance, and we work to keep our premiums competitive. Please call us if you would like more information or options for your pet’s specific premium: 1-800-905-1595.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Spot has been really good about coverage. There haven't really been any unexpected surprises. I have the Peace of mind of knowing my pets are covered and I get the 10% discount because I have more than one pet with them. The only complaints I have are that it is really hard to get hold of them by phone, hold times are really long. The other complaint is that they are very slow to reimburse. They do reimburse, but it takes them a long time. I have a claim in now for a condition they've paid for before so they don't have to collect anything new from the veterinarians, it should be quite straightforward but it's been two weeks already and it's still processing.

Spot Pet Insurance response

Hi, Rhonda! We make every effort to process claims as quickly as possible and will update the status in the Member Center as your claim continues through review. We’d be happy to discuss your claims in further detail if you’d like to give us a call at 1-800-905-1595.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

Just want to say, so far I am pleased with how quickly they reimburse for all claims we have instigated. It is a pleasure to work with a insurance company that does not try to find loopholes to delay payment or not to pay at all. Thank you Spot Pet Insurance.

Hi Bill,
    Thank you for the positive feedback! Please reach out to us if you ever have any questions.

~The SPOT Family

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

I recently submitted a claim for Tito's vet visit for itching. It was 0% covered. Must admit this is partly my fault. I thought I bought a policy that covered medical issues, and apparently, for $43.54 a month, all I have is a policy that covers accidents. When I spoke to a rep this morning, she was very helpful, but I came to the conclusion that coverage that actually means anything will be upwards of $90 a month. I'll be looking for another carrier.

Spot Pet Insurance response

Hi, Linda! Spot plans cover exam fees, diagnostics, treatments, medications, and alternative therapies for accidents and illnesses, including cancer and hereditary problems. We also have a variety of ways to customize coverage to fit your needs and budget. We'd be happy to discuss if you'd like you to give us a call at 1-800-905-1595

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

When my cat needed major dental surgery, I was so glad to have SPOT to cover me. The claims submitting process was easy, and I got my reimbursement in a timely manner. I've yet to need to use customer service, since everything with my policy has gone as expected!

Hi Sam,
    We’re so glad you had a positive experience and got your cat the help that he needed! Wishing you happy wags!

~The SPOT Family

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

The experience was okay. The reviews are very slow when it comes to reimbursements of claims. The staff is very nice and well informed and when I finally go through they were helpful. I like Spot because they do insure older pets.

Spot Pet Insurance response

Hi, Tina! We make every effort to process claims as quickly as possible and update the status in the Member Center as your claim continues through review. We’re happy to discuss your claims in further detail if you give us a call at 1-800-905-1595.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

I have a puppy and was looking for an insurance company that suited his needs in these early years. Most of the items he's had are covered which is great! The claims process is super easy too. The few times I've had to call customer service, I found them easy to get through and attentive to our needs.

Hi Emmy,
    Thank you for sharing your experience! Please reach out to us if you ever have any questions.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

They make me feel safe to have a puppy again after my old dog's passing from an accident that we couldn't cover. I'd recommend Spot to any pup owner who wants to make sure they are covered in the event of a big accident.

Hi Kyra,
    We are happy to hear you are covered with SPOT in case you have a need in the future.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

We signed up for the highest coverage for our cats since they deserve nothing less. Unfortunately one of our cats was rushed to the emergency room and had to be put down. Spot Pet Insurance did cover what they said. All in all it was a easy friendly process.

Hi Marcus,

We are deeply sorry to hear such sad news. We are so sorry to hear that your pet passed away. When a pet crosses over the Rainbow Bridge, we experience sadness, grief, and sorrow. “Pets leave pawprints on our hearts”, and we want to let you know that you and your family are in our heart, too.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

I'm very happy with Spot Pet Insurance. I have sent quite a few claims in and my vast insurance experience gives me a real understanding in EOBs. I have resubmitted a couple for review and they were paid when I had my Vet get involved. I thoroughly recommend Spot Pet Insurance as I know any company Cesar Milan endorses gets my vote of confidence.

Hi Helene,
    We pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service, so we're very happy to hear this has been your experience.

~The SPOT Family

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

This insurance co is ok but expensive so I switched to another pet insurance co. Less money the same service. Overall I was happy with the reimbursement with Spot Insurance but to expensive $72.00 a month vs $43.00 for the same service with another pet insurance company.

Spot Pet Insurance response

Hi Chan – We do our best to keep our plans as affordable as possible while still being able to support customers in seeking the best vet care. Rate increases account for increased pet age, advancements in vet technology and rising treatment costs, the general cost of care in your area, and several other factors. All premiums are based on rates filed with your state’s Department of Insurance, and we work to keep our premiums competitive. Please call us if you would like more information or options for your pet’s specific premium: 1-800-905-1595.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I love SPOT! All three of my pets have been insured by SPOT for over a year and they have been fast in processing my claims. They have a variety of coverages to choose from that fits your budget along with what your pets need. I do wish SPOT had an option to switch from paying yearly to monthly or vice versa without having to cancel the entire policy and reapplying again.

Spot Pet Insurance response

We love hearing this, thank you for sharing Michelle-Lei! Wishing you and your fur family good health. ~The SPOT Family

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

Love my insurance. My purebred has so many issues and I get like 90% back on all my claims. It’s so worth it to have coverage. The customer service is always very fast and friendly too. Thanks Spot for taking care of both myself and my puppy Meeko!!

Hi Bailey,
    We’re so glad you had a positive experience and got Meeko the help that he needed! Wishing you happy wags!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I adopted a dog from a shelter. I did not know at that time she was heartworm +. I had purchased ins. & upon submitting the 1st claim, it was held up for records they said they needed. Both the vet and I had sent them repeatedly. They were looking for two years when I just had two visits.. Same thing happened with the second claim submission. Well checks with shots I understood to be covered, but apparently you can't get a rabies and another preventive vaccine at the same time, which I didn't get, nor was it explained well. Maybe it's just because I don't understand all the jargon, but I feel like it should be easier than it is. On the plus side, customer service has always been a delight to deal with.

Spot Pet Insurance response

Hi, Melanie! Spot plans cover exam fees, diagnostics, treatments, medications, and alternative therapies for accidents and illnesses, including cancer and hereditary problems. We'd be happy to review all the coverage options for your unique pet if you like to give us a call at 1-800-905-1595.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I had reservations signing up for another pet insurance after I had been with 24Pet for 13 years. However, I never had this kind of service and claim updates - it's a breath of fresh air to have someone actually work for you. Highly recommended.

Hi Ken,

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

Spot Pet Insurance is so easy to work with and they pay claims very quickly! Filing my claims can be done online on their website, they respond quickly to advise me of my claim status and reimbursements are sent directly to my bank account. I couldn’t be happier with Spot Pet insurance!

Hi Lori,

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I don't think I had my policy for a month when my oldest dog was bitten by a copperhead. Normally I wouldn't be concerned but it soon became apparent that this wasn't a normal bite. My usual vet at that time didn't have any antivenom in stock and they were too busy to see her so I had to go to an emergency clinic. Needless to say Spot took care of everything without question. Everyone is fine today.

Hi Karen,
    We’re so glad you had a positive experience and got your dog the help that they needed! Wishing you happy wags!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I attempted to download a very small invoice from my vet and was unable to due to the file size of the PDF. This has made it more difficult for me to submit three claims for my cat, Frankie. He is suspected to have lymphoma so it is important that I be able to file my claims without jumping through hoops. I was able to download my receipts for visits last year, I don’t understand limiting the size of files.

Hi Donna,

You can submit claims by logging into the Member Center or simply by opening our SPOT Pet Insurance app, which allows you to access all the Member Center features except for Add A Pet. And by the way – uploading a pic of your invoice for the claim form is totally fine. If you want to provide additional feedback or get more details about your claim, please do reach out: 1-800-905-1595

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

Spot Pet Insurance. I have my two Chihuahuas insured with Spot. They are wonderful. They deliver on what they promise and they reimburse you very quickly. Never a problem. I highly recommend spot insurance. They’re awesome. If you call customer service they are also excellent. Always polite and always very professional.

Hi Nelson,

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

The customer service team is super. Being that I have an insurance/customer service background, I understand EOBs. Thus I'm able to discuss them when I have questions. I've contacted them a few times and they are able to explain more in depth. They explained that when that years run the date your baby's coverage starts,

Hi Helene,

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I've been happy with Spot Insurance in the 8 months since enrolling my dog. The reimbursements to date have been minimal but those are only for immunizations etc. I'm glad to report we haven't had any accidents or serious illness.

Hi Brandyn,

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Many times you expect a fight when contacting an Insurance company with a claim. This was not the case with Spot. Their people were very friendly from the first call to the last. They gave me no grief and paid my claim.

Hi Lonny,

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Spot has been nothing but amazing with reimbursements for my 7 year old boxer/lab. I have not had any issues with claim reimbursements and there have been a number of them as she was diagnosed with plasma cell tumors and kidney disease. Truly deserving of 5 stars as they have been so smooth to work with in regards to submitting claims and claim approval. My Daisy is getting to live her best life because of this insurance!

Hi Cheryl,
    We’re so glad you had a positive experience and got your boxer/lab the help that she needed! Wishing you happy wags!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I signed on with Spot a couple years ago. They are a great company with good communication. It's so easy to email my invoices to them for claims. They respond in a timely manner. They break down everything showing what's covered and what isn't. Very easy to understand. Highly recommend.

Spot Pet Insurance response

We love hearing this, thank you for sharing Marilyn! Wishing you and your fur family good health. ~The SPOT Family

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I had an excellent experience with my pet’s insurance. I sent in my documentation and they quickly responded and mailed me my savings in return. Easy process too to follow and easy submission method as well. Happy I selected Spot as my insurance for my pet.

Hi Mary,

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

First time having insurance for one of my pets. Great customer service throughout the entire process. Every question was answered efficiently and with a caring ear. When your pet is injured or experiencing something stressful Spot gives peace of mind. Easy and quick when filing a claim. Uploading vet records couldn't be easier. The claim was paid in 3 weeks! I will never own a pet without having spot pet insurance.

Spot Pet Insurance response

We love hearing this, thank you for sharing Jessica! Wishing you and your fur family good health. ~The SPOT Family

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I discovered this company surfing the internet, read about it and like what I read and signed up. So far, so goood. No complaints. Also recommended it to my son. Very good Service and satisfied. Prompt courteous service. Would recommend again.

Spot Pet Insurance response

We love hearing this, thank you for sharing Joan! Wishing you and your fur family good health. ~The SPOT Family

Spot Pet Insurance© Company Information