Spot Pet Insurance focuses on providing pet owners with the tools needed to keep your pet healthy. Spot's chairman is Cesar Milan, a dog behaviorist known for his Emmy-nominated TV series, and the company covers a wide range of needs, including accident care, medications, diagnostics and alternative therapies. Spot also offers preventative plans that include dental cleanings and flea prevention for an additional cost.
Spot Pet Insurance offers flexible coverage plans and options for different levels of coverage. Like most pet insurance provides, Spot doesn’t cover preexisting conditions. However, accident-only coverage is available.
- No age or claim limits
- Covers alternative therapies
- Flexible coverage plans
- Higher premiums for older pets
- No preexisting condition coverage
How Spot Pet Insurance works
Spot Pet Insurance helps cover the cost of expensive vet bills when your pets are hurt or sick.
It works a lot like human health insurance regarding deductibles, premiums and preexisting conditions. There is also a 14-day waiting period between the day you purchase the coverage and when your pet begins coverage.
Insurance is one of those things that you hope you never have to use but are always thankful for when you do. Here’s how it works if your pet gets hurt or sick:
- Take your pet to the licensed vet of your choice.
- Get treatment and pay the bill.
- Submit your claim on the Spot Pet Insurance website by mail, phone, or fax.
- Receive reimbursement for your expenses based on your coverage plan.
What does Spot Pet Insurance cover?
Spot Pet Insurance plans cover a range of illnesses and conditions that your cat or dog may experience in their lifetime. The company offers multiple coverage options, including:
- Accident-only coverage
- The accident-only policy does not cover any expenses related to illness. Accident-only coverage covers unexpected treatments your pet may need as a result of an accident, including:
- Alternative therapy
- End-of-life expenses
- IV fluids and medications
- Veterinary treatment and medical supplies
- Tooth extractions
- Poison control consultations
- Prescription medicine and supplements
- Surgery and hospitalization
- Stem cell therapy
- Accident and illness coverage
- Spot Pet Insurance’s accident and illness coverage, also called Spot-On Coverage, is a more comprehensive option that covers everything on the accident-only plan plus expenses related to the diagnosis and treatment of illnesses. Spot-On Coverage also covers the cost of microchipping your pet. This plan does not include expenses like breeding and pregnancy costs, boarding, grooming or other elective or cosmetic services.
- Coverage exclusions
- Before choosing an insurance plan for your pet, it’s crucial to understand what’s not covered so there aren’t any misunderstandings. Some of the most common coverage exclusions include:
- Preexisting conditions
- Aesthetic dental services
- Conditions occurring within the policy waiting period
- Grooming and nonmedical supplies
- Non-FDA treatment or supplements
- Pet diets
- Daycare or boarding
How much does Spot Pet Insurance cost?
The monthly cost of Spot Pet Insurance depends on your location and the coverage options you select. You can get a free Spot Pet Insurance quote on its website and customize your deductibles, premiums and reimbursement percentages. The premium is based on your pet's age, breed and where your pet lives.
Using the website’s free quote tool, we found that accident and illness coverage with 80% reimbursement and a $5,000 annual limit for a 2-year-old Cairn Terrier mix ranged from around $20 to $40 each month, depending on the deductible. Accident-only coverage with the same reimbursement and annual limit ranged from $15 to $20 a month.
Spot offers a 30-day money-back guarantee as long as you have made no claims on the policy. The guarantee is not available in New York.
Spot Pet Insurance FAQ
- Do all vets accept Spot Pet Insurance?
- Yes. Pet health insurance is much simpler than human health insurance, which usually requires you to check with a doctor to ensure they accept your insurance. You can use Spot Pet Insurance at any licensed veterinary office.
- Does Spot Pet Insurance cover emergency visits?
- Yes. Spot Pet Insurance covers emergency visits.
- How do you get Spot Pet Insurance?
- You can get Spot Pet Insurance anytime in four steps:
- Choose the plan and coverage options that make the most sense for your pet.
- Determine all of your pet’s preexisting conditions.
- Gather all available medical records and treatment history from your veterinarian.
- Purchase the plan. There is a 14-day waiting period between the day you purchase the coverage and when your pet begins coverage.
Is Spot Pet Insurance worth it?
Yes, Spot Pet Insurance is worth it. If you’ve ever been hit with unexpected vet bills before, you know how expensive they can be. Spot Pet Insurance offers comprehensive coverage options so you can always take good care of your pet without breaking the bank. Spot Pet Insurance allows you to invest a little each month and offers reassurance that if your pet gets hurt or sick, you can take care of them without worrying about being overwhelmed with bills.
A link has directed you to this review. Its location on this page may change next time you visit.
- 2,483,629 reviews on ConsumerAffairs are verified.
- We require contact information to ensure our reviewers are real.
- We use intelligent software that helps us maintain the integrity of reviews.
- Our moderators read all reviews to verify quality and helpfulness.
For more information about reviews on ConsumerAffairs.com please visit our FAQ.
Well this was the easiest process I’ve ever had to do for dog insurance. It was recommended by a friend and it was the best thing I’ve ever done for my dog. Not only was easy to set up but also getting 80% reimbursement was fabulous. I will recommend this to everyone of my friends and family.
Thank you for sharing your easy and seamless claims experience for your fur baby, Cece! We are also very happy to hear you would recommend us to friends and family. Please let us know if you ever need assistance.
~The SPOT Family????❤️
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter! Enjoy reading our tips and recommendations.
I'm very happy with the Spot Pet Insurance. I have accidental and illness and added Wellness coverage. The wellness has helped with vaccines and wellness visits. Very easy to upload the vet invoice to their site and reimbursed very quickly.
We love hearing that you are happy with SPOT and your coverage! Thank you for also sharing your easy and fast claims experience. Please reach out to us if you ever need assistance.
~The SPOT Family????❤️
We took our 2 month old puppy to the vet for his first check and and start to vaccines And had a quick and easy process to get refunded from Spot Insurance. We got $125 back out of a $175 bill via e-deposit to my checking account. The $125 correlated with our benefits plan. So far very happy with Spot.
We are so happy you are part of the SPOT family! Thank you for sharing your positive claims experience. Please reach out to us if you need assistance in the future.
~ The Spot Family
Spot has saved me in words I can't describe as they covered major expenses for when my dog was hurt. No, this is not a fake review. Real person who saved $6,000. If you're on the fence or researching a pet insurance to get, trust me it'll be worth it.
Thank you for sharing your great claims experience with Spot! Please reach out to us if you ever have any questions.
~The Spot Family
Previous claims were processed faster. This most recent one took over 2 weeks. It did overlap a holiday weekend and consideration for changes in procedures related to covid are likely the reason. But overall, we remain pleased with our coverage as well as the excellent customer service!
Thank you for your positive feedback! We did have a brief period in which wait times for claims were slightly longer, but have since resolved. Please reach out to us if you ever need further assistance.
~The Spot Family
We have a rescue dog. For two months Spot was saying they needed documentation from before we or the rescue had them. I had to submit it multiple times. I had to call twice to make sure they went through and that someone added the information to our account. The customer service folks are kind, but at the systems level it was annoying.
We apologize for you having to submit multiple times and understand this can be an inconvenience. Thank you for this feedback, as we are always open to it and improving our processes as a result. Please reach out to us if you ever need further assistance submitting a claim in the future!
~The SPOT Family
But I must say, I've had to deal with you with a couple simple claims and you guys make everything no stress and simple - I know now I made the right choice in pet health insurance. Thank you. VinnyB.
Thank you for your great feedback! We love hearing your stress free and simple claims experiences. Please reach out to us if you ever need assistance in the future.
~The SPOT Family
I'm very happy with Spot Pet insurance. I've used many others and the coverage was lacking to say the least. Not only do they provide the necessary coverage at a reasonable price, but the customer service is outstanding.
Hi Tracey,Thank you for your positive feedback! Please reach out if you ever need assistance.
~The Spot Family ❤️
Spot Pet Insurance© Company Information
- Company Name:
- Spot Pet Insurance
- West Palm Beach