2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.00/5

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Pets Best is a pet insurance company specializing in flexible coverage for cats and dogs. Customers can cover their pet for accidents only or for both accidents and illnesses. The annual limit, deductible and reimbursement percentage are all customizable. Pets Best, founded in 2005, has insured over 100,000 pets and paid out over $200 million in claims, according to its website.

BOTTOM LINE

With Pets Best, pet owners have the ability to choose levels of coverage that match their needs, ranging from accident-only coverage to a BestBenefit accident and illness plan. It’s a solid insurance option for dogs and cats.

PROS
  • Affordable
  • Highly customizable
  • No upper age limit
  • Wellness coverage options
CONS
  • Doesn’t cover holistic therapy
  • No stand-alone routine care coverage

Pets Best coverage plans

Pets Best dog and cat insurance plans include coverage for accidents and illnesses, emergency treatments, hospitalization, surgery, cancer, hereditary conditions and prescription medication. Its wellness plans cover wellness exams, flea and tick prevention, vaccination and more.

All Pets Best coverage options include access to a 24/7 helpline, one annual deductible, optional direct payment to the vet and the use of any licensed vet in the U.S. or Canada. There is no upper age limit on plans. Annual limits and deductibles are customizable.

• Dog insurance: BestBenefit dog insurance plans cover accidents and illnesses with 70%, 80% or 90% reimbursement. These plans also cover chronic conditions, cancer treatment, emergency care, diagnostics, hospitalization, surgery, prescription medication, periodontal disease and humane euthanasia. Plans also include coverage for hereditary and congenital conditions, like hip and elbow dysplasia. You can choose to exclude exam fees and prescription medication from your plan if it’s better for your budget.
    • Cat insurance: BestBenefit cat care plans offer the same coverage as the dog insurance plans. This insurance pays for exam fees and treatment related to accidents, illnesses, hereditary conditions and cancer. Reimbursement rates are either 70%, 80% or 90%.
    • Routine care coverage: Pet wellness plans featuring routine care are available for both dogs and cats as add-on coverage. Many people add routine care to their accident and illness plans for more complete coverage. There are two plans: EssentialWellness and BestWellness.

Pets Best also offers accident-only coverage that covers things like broken bones and the swallowing of unsafe objects.

Pets Best cost

At the time of publishing, accident-only plans for dogs start at $9 per month. Accident-only plans for cats start at $6 per month. Comprehensive BestBenefit plans, which cover accidents and illnesses, average $35 to $58 per month for dogs and $22 to $46 per month for cats, according to the Pets Best website. The EssentialWellness and BestWellness plans, which cover routine care, are $16 per month and $26 per month, respectively.

Keep in mind that pet health insurance premiums are determined by a few factors, including your animal’s age and breed, where you live and your plan’s annual deductible, annual limit and reimbursement level. New customers should contact the company directly for the most accurate quotes.

Pets Best FAQ

What does Pets Best not cover?
    Pets Best doesn’t cover preexisting conditions, elective and preventive procedures, parasites, grooming, special diets, supplements, holistic therapy, herbal therapy or experimental therapy.
    Is there a waiting period after enrollment?
    Yes. For accidents, there is a three-day waiting period. For illnesses, the waiting period is 14 days. There’s a six-month waiting period for cruciate ligament conditions. There is no waiting period for routine care plans.
    Does Pets Best have any payout limits?
    Yes, but these annual payout limits can be customized. There is also the option of an unlimited annual payout.
    Where is Pets Best available?
    Pets Best plans are available in all 50 states. Customers can choose any licensed veterinarian in the U.S., Canada or Puerto Rico and have coverage while traveling.
    What is Pets Best’s cancellation policy?
    You can cancel a Pets Best policy within 30 days of the effective date for a 100% refund as long as Pets Best hasn’t paid any claims. Otherwise, you can cancel and receive a prorated refund. Check your policy for specific details about cancellation.

Is Pets Best worth it?

There are many benefits to choosing a Pets Best plan for your dog or cat. You can choose accident-only or accident and illness coverage, customize your annual limit and deductible and add on a wellness plan for routine care. Pets Best also lets you choose any licensed vet, has optional direct vet payment and includes access to a 24-hour vet hotline with all policies. As you would when shopping for any insurance product, get quotes from multiple companies and read over the fine print so you know what’s covered.

Pets Best Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pets Best?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pets Best?

Original review: April 28, 2021

Although most people have had a good experience with Pets Best insurance, I was financially and emotionally devastated by their lack of communication, support, and compassion for me and my dog. I signed my dog up for Pets Best insurance after a dear friend of mine recommended them to me. My dog was approaching 7.5 years old and had no current health issues, so I thought it best to sign her up before she developed any.

My dog presented with lameness during the waiting period, and it was unclear to me and my veterinarian what the cause was. The diagnosis was unclear, but it was suspected to be an injury based on the X-Ray. About three months after the waiting period ended, my dog was diagnosed with osteosarcoma (bone cancer) and was recommended to undergo chemotherapy and amputation of the diseased limb, which would have given her another year of life as opposed to two months (without treatment). I thought to myself, “thank goodness I purchased pet insurance!” Actually, I have no one to thank and definitely NOT Pets Best. Pets Best settled that the cancer was linked to the lameness that presented a few months prior during the waiting period, so they labeled cancer as a pre-existing condition, even though my veterinarian records revealed NO EVIDENCE of a cancer diagnosis BEFORE or DURING the policy waiting period.

Pets Best even had my veterinarian records to prove that there was no evidence of a pre-existing cancer diagnosis. Therefore, I would have been stuck paying for all medical costs IN FULL. The limb amputation alone would have cost me $1,000-$2,000 and chemotherapy would have been $400 per session. My dog needed at least weekly chemotherapy which meant that I would be paying, out-of-pocket, $1,600 per month, or $19,200 PER YEAR, JUST FOR THE CHEMOTHERAPY. That is half of my net salary! I am a mental health professional working in the non-profit sector, so this is a HUGE burden on my heart and my finances. I had to make the heart-wrenching decision to euthanize my beautiful dog because I could not afford her care.

Pets Best discriminated against my dog without full consideration. My dog had a healthy medical record with NO EVIDENCE of pre-existing conditions, and they had the veterinary records to prove it. Based on Pets Best treatment of me and my pet, I don’t believe that Pets Best cares about the well-being of their customers and their pets. It’s clear to me that Pets Best will find any way that they can to NOT pay for your pet’s medical treatments by prejudicially asserting that any presenting accidents/illnesses were due to a pre-existing condition. I have lost trust in Pets Best and will NOT insure with them, ever again, and will NOT recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

I have had Pets Best now for 2 yrs. I have had a couple minor claims but have had a significant rate increase already. But that is minor compared to how long the claims process is. They average about 3-4 months IF they decide to pay claim at all. They tell you EVERY time you call about claim that the company buyout is causing delays in processing but that is a lie. They might be understaffed but this has been going on for about 2 yrs now so...I am fearful after reading other reviews that if the claim was ever serious they will deny claim altogether. I have zero confidence in them and really none have good reviews. Just save your money and if you want purchase a preventative plan only. Pet insurance to me is a total waste of money.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Details of policy are very confusing. Getting reimbursed is never what you expect. Not happy and looking for a better policy. Deductibles you think it’s great then are told something different. In general, buying a pet insurance, well you need to read everything carefully.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

I've tried several different plans with my two dogs and one cat. I am totally satisfied with PetsBest as they offered the best coverage and their prices were reasonable. Even on existing medical issues, they did a fantastic job covering them. Very good customer relations and easy to talk with. They offer several different plans, which I like.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I have not been a customer long with this pet insurance and will not be after today. I submitted a claim on 1/31 for a wellness check which is covered. It is now 2/26 and still no end in sight. I keep getting messages with excuses about high volume of claims but when I further researched this has been a complaint that numerous customer have had for over a year. So this is a consistent pattern with this company. Considering that we are not living in the dark ages and everything is automated and verifiable in 24 hour period there is no excuse for this long a period for a bill that is under $200. So I will be cutting my losses. Do yourself a favor. Avoid this company at all costs.

Original review: May 11, 2015

I have been paying this insurance for years and my cat got sick with a couple of surgeries. First I was not aware that the plan had a maximum coverage of just 2,500 per illness for life. It was my fault for not knowing, esp it's such a small amount. What is wrong is that despite that low coverage per illness, they wanted to raise my premium 50% just like that only because I used it. So you pay them for years and when your cat is getting older and just when you need the insurance they can just jack up the price straight out. I think it's so unfair and so biased and should be illegal.

Pets Best Company Information