3.4/5 (44 ratings)

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

About Pets Best

Pets Best is a pet insurance company specializing in flexible coverage for cats and dogs. Customers can cover their pet for accidents only or for both accidents and illnesses. The annual limit, deductible and reimbursement percentage are all customizable. Pets Best, founded in 2005, has insured over 100,000 pets and paid out over $200 million in claims, according to its website.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Affordable
    • Highly customizable
    • No upper age limit
    • Wellness coverage options

Cons

• Doesn’t cover holistic therapy
    • No stand-alone routine care coverage

Bottom Line

With Pets Best, pet owners have the ability to choose levels of coverage that match their needs, ranging from accident-only coverage to a BestBenefit accident and illness plan. It’s a solid insurance option for dogs and cats.

Pets Best coverage plans

Pets Best dog and cat insurance plans include coverage for accidents and illnesses, emergency treatments, hospitalization, surgery, cancer, hereditary conditions and prescription medication. Its wellness plans cover wellness exams, flea and tick prevention, vaccination and more.

All Pets Best coverage options include access to a 24/7 helpline, one annual deductible, optional direct payment to the vet and the use of any licensed vet in the U.S. or Canada. There is no upper age limit on plans. Annual limits and deductibles are customizable.

• Dog insurance: BestBenefit dog insurance plans cover accidents and illnesses with 70%, 80% or 90% reimbursement. These plans also cover chronic conditions, cancer treatment, emergency care, diagnostics, hospitalization, surgery, prescription medication, periodontal disease and humane euthanasia. Plans also include coverage for hereditary and congenital conditions, like hip and elbow dysplasia. You can choose to exclude exam fees and prescription medication from your plan if it’s better for your budget.
    • Cat insurance: BestBenefit cat care plans offer the same coverage as the dog insurance plans. This insurance pays for exam fees and treatment related to accidents, illnesses, hereditary conditions and cancer. Reimbursement rates are either 70%, 80% or 90%.
    • Routine care coverage: Pet wellness plans featuring routine care are available for both dogs and cats as add-on coverage. Many people add routine care to their accident and illness plans for more complete coverage. There are two plans: EssentialWellness and BestWellness.

Pets Best also offers accident-only coverage that covers things like broken bones and the swallowing of unsafe objects.

Pets Best cost

At the time of publishing, accident-only plans for dogs start at $9 per month. Accident-only plans for cats start at $6 per month. Comprehensive BestBenefit plans, which cover accidents and illnesses, average $35 to $58 per month for dogs and $22 to $46 per month for cats, according to the Pets Best website. The EssentialWellness and BestWellness plans, which cover routine care, are $16 per month and $26 per month, respectively.

Keep in mind that pet health insurance premiums are determined by a few factors, including your animal’s age and breed, where you live and your plan’s annual deductible, annual limit and reimbursement level. New customers should contact the company directly for the most accurate quotes.

Pets Best FAQ

What does Pets Best not cover?
    Pets Best doesn’t cover preexisting conditions, elective and preventive procedures, parasites, grooming, special diets, supplements, holistic therapy, herbal therapy or experimental therapy.
    Is there a waiting period after enrollment?
    Yes. For accidents, there is a three-day waiting period. For illnesses, the waiting period is 14 days. There’s a six-month waiting period for cruciate ligament conditions. There is no waiting period for routine care plans.
    Does Pets Best have any payout limits?
    Yes, but these annual payout limits can be customized. There is also the option of an unlimited annual payout.
    Where is Pets Best available?
    Pets Best plans are available in all 50 states. Customers can choose any licensed veterinarian in the U.S., Canada or Puerto Rico and have coverage while traveling.
    What is Pets Best’s cancellation policy?
    You can cancel a Pets Best policy within 30 days of the effective date for a 100% refund as long as Pets Best hasn’t paid any claims. Otherwise, you can cancel and receive a prorated refund. Check your policy for specific details about cancellation.

Is Pets Best worth it?

There are many benefits to choosing a Pets Best plan for your dog or cat. You can choose accident-only or accident and illness coverage, customize your annual limit and deductible and add on a wellness plan for routine care. Pets Best also lets you choose any licensed vet, has optional direct vet payment and includes access to a 24-hour vet hotline with all policies. As you would when shopping for any insurance product, get quotes from multiple companies and read over the fine print so you know what’s covered.

Pets Best Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pets Best?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pets Best?

Original review: May 4, 2022

Pets Best gets many customers from the plan comparisons out there on what it says it covers. However, look at all the complaints filed because they don’t actually cover it, they only state that they will. I canceled their service after the waiting period was over and I saw how unhappy their customers were. My own experience is that they are untrustworthy and do not care. I canceled their service in writing and on the phone and they kept billing me against my will. Staff refuses to locate supervisors and states they’ll put you in a queue for management to return your call. I asked for a call in January, February and march. It’s now May and no supervisors ever called. They did however immediately reply to my credit card dispute with them. They fraudulently charged my account for two more months of service. Do not use. You are better off starting a savings account for emergencies. Or using a credit card. They have horrible service.

Original review: April 29, 2022

Got insurance after my dog tore his ACL and needed PTLO surgery. Sure enough he ripped the other one, waited out the 6mo waiting period and scheduled the surgery while he suffered the whole time. A week after the surgery, filed the claim. It took two months for them to research. Came back denied. On the form it said it was because ligament tears weren't covered even though it definitely is on my policy. When I called about it they said the injury happened within the waiting period, even though the surgery was done after. This is NOT what their policy states. They nicely said "too bad" and I was stuck with a $5000 bill. Not a single item on the list was covered such as medicine or any of the hospital stay. Nothing. All because they tied it to the injury.

The cherry on top, when I asked to cancel, I was auto charged $1 because the claim denial was sent to me on the last day of my payment cycle and the cancellation request isn't effective until the following day. I've spoken to other people who had the same experience. They do this on purpose to milk every last dollar. Scam artists.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 21, 2022

I signed up for coverage upon getting my puppy. After my waiting period my puppy was limping and crying so I took her in. She was diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia. This company cancelled my policy, denied my claims and I was forced to euthanize my pup. They are deceitful and scammers. I do not recommend them at all.

Original review: April 7, 2022

STAY AWAY from this company. They deny claims and don't explain specifics. You will have to fight for every claim to be paid in full or in part. They "claim" everything as pre-existing condition and deny. Even when your Vet writes a letter to state the condition is unrelated. Save your money. This company is worthless.

Original review: March 24, 2022

Reimbursement takes forever (if you are lucky enough to be reimbursed), customer service is inept and unhelpful just tries to rush you off the chat, much much better options out there. You'd be better off throwing your money in the trash monthly than paying this company. Not sure why they are rated so highly when there are so many poor reviews.

Original review: March 15, 2022

I retired in June 0f 2021 and received an e-mail about various benefits for retirees. One of those benefits happened to be Pet Insurance from Pets Best. I thought to myself, "They are aligned with NEA Member Benefits, so surely they must have been vetted and are a trusted insurance company." I could not have been more wrong!

I took my dog in for an annual checkup On October 14th 2021. (The waiting period ended on October 11th.) I mentioned that my pet had an issue with her ear for the last couple of weeks, and a persistent cough for the last two days. Unfortunately, that was put in erroneously as my pet having an issue with her ear for a couple of days, and a persistent cough for a couple of weeks.

I filed a claim and was denied as they said her cough was a pre-existing condition. Before the denial, when I contacted Pet's best, their customer service rep said that there will be no problem. You will be insured and will receive 90% back minus the deductible. This would have been only $800 out of pocket with the $3200 reimbursement. Right now, I am $4000.00 in the hole as a retiree. I call this unfair.

I filed an appeal as of March 7th 2022. The customer service representative who contacted me on March 8th said that it will take 30-90 days for the appeal to go through. This is pure malevolence as they do not want to insure me because through the x rays on October 14th, a growth was discovered below her lung. Upon further discovery on November 5th via a CATSCAN, it was discovered that she had a carcinoma. And surgery was suggested to remove the carcinoma at a rate of $10000. Obviously, I cannot afford this without pre-approval and the appeals to also be approved for reimbursement. I have previous medical records for my dog back to 2018 to prove that this was not a pre-existing condition.

Original review: March 3, 2022

Claims reps do not provide detailed information regarding the status of a claim and also why it has been denied. Our pet has a new skin condition that Pets Best will not cover because they claim it is tied to another pre-existing condition that is not related to this. (How are ear polyps related to dermatitis?) We are also very disappointed in how long it takes to process a claim. I will not purchase Pets Best the next time we acquire a new pet. This insurance is rip-off

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

I have had Pets Best insurance since 2007. That's a long time. When I got them, the coverage was per incidence, so when my dog started having seizures, it was covered for the rest of her life. When it sadly became time to put her down when she was 17 years old (I had had the insurance for 14 years at this point), I submitted the claim for her final expenses because my policy said it was a covered expense. WRONG!

I submitted my claim, and they used the "per incidence" to not cover any of it. But here's the part that really, really hurt... On the Explanation of Benefits, they said this "The claimed amount has been applied to your deductible. Once your deductible has been met, we will begin paying your selected coinsurance amount of covered charges." She had been Euthanized!! There were never going to be any more claims for them to begin paying on after the deductible was met!!! I felt that was heartless.

They also have a very unfair way of calculating the deductible on their policies. I had 80/20 coverage, where they paid 80% and I paid 20%... If I submitted a claim for $100 and I hadn't met the deductible yet, they only applied 20% of that claim towards the deductible instead of the entire $100. After I got the explanation of benefits for my dog, I immediately canceled the Pets Best policies for my other two pets and bought insurance with another provider. I would never recommend them, and it says a lot when a LONG-TIME customer says they wouldn't recommend Pets Best.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

I purchased pet health insurance from Pets Best on 4/26/21. I called their customer service and spoke with Taylor. She confirmed that I have been waiting for 21 days to receive reimbursement of the claims I filed, and she stated that all claims have been delay to 39 days. I believe that they are now scamming their customers by refusing to pay claims. At this point they are just giving their customers lame excuses for not paying the claims. I am reporting them to the BBB. You all should do the same!

Original review: April 28, 2021

Although most people have had a good experience with Pets Best insurance, I was financially and emotionally devastated by their lack of communication, support, and compassion for me and my dog. I signed my dog up for Pets Best insurance after a dear friend of mine recommended them to me. My dog was approaching 7.5 years old and had no current health issues, so I thought it best to sign her up before she developed any.

My dog presented with lameness during the waiting period, and it was unclear to me and my veterinarian what the cause was. The diagnosis was unclear, but it was suspected to be an injury based on the X-Ray. About three months after the waiting period ended, my dog was diagnosed with osteosarcoma (bone cancer) and was recommended to undergo chemotherapy and amputation of the diseased limb, which would have given her another year of life as opposed to two months (without treatment). I thought to myself, “thank goodness I purchased pet insurance!” Actually, I have no one to thank and definitely NOT Pets Best. Pets Best settled that the cancer was linked to the lameness that presented a few months prior during the waiting period, so they labeled cancer as a pre-existing condition, even though my veterinarian records revealed NO EVIDENCE of a cancer diagnosis BEFORE or DURING the policy waiting period.

Pets Best even had my veterinarian records to prove that there was no evidence of a pre-existing cancer diagnosis. Therefore, I would have been stuck paying for all medical costs IN FULL. The limb amputation alone would have cost me $1,000-$2,000 and chemotherapy would have been $400 per session. My dog needed at least weekly chemotherapy which meant that I would be paying, out-of-pocket, $1,600 per month, or $19,200 PER YEAR, JUST FOR THE CHEMOTHERAPY. That is half of my net salary! I am a mental health professional working in the non-profit sector, so this is a HUGE burden on my heart and my finances. I had to make the heart-wrenching decision to euthanize my beautiful dog because I could not afford her care.

Pets Best discriminated against my dog without full consideration. My dog had a healthy medical record with NO EVIDENCE of pre-existing conditions, and they had the veterinary records to prove it. Based on Pets Best treatment of me and my pet, I don’t believe that Pets Best cares about the well-being of their customers and their pets. It’s clear to me that Pets Best will find any way that they can to NOT pay for your pet’s medical treatments by prejudicially asserting that any presenting accidents/illnesses were due to a pre-existing condition. I have lost trust in Pets Best and will NOT insure with them, ever again, and will NOT recommend them.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Pet Insurance partner.

Pets Best Company Information