3.4/5 (145 ratings)

Find Pet Insurance near you

About Pets Best

Pets Best is a pet insurance company specializing in flexible coverage for cats and dogs. Customers can cover their pet for accidents only or for both accidents and illnesses. The annual limit, deductible and reimbursement percentage are all customizable. Pets Best, founded in 2005, has insured over 100,000 pets and paid out over $200 million in claims, according to its website.

Find Pet Insurance near you

Pros

• Affordable
    • Highly customizable
    • No upper age limit
    • Wellness coverage options

Cons

• Doesn’t cover holistic therapy
    • No stand-alone routine care coverage

Bottom Line

With Pets Best, pet owners have the ability to choose levels of coverage that match their needs, ranging from accident-only coverage to a BestBenefit accident and illness plan. It’s a solid insurance option for dogs and cats.

Pets Best coverage plans

Pets Best dog and cat insurance plans include coverage for accidents and illnesses, emergency treatments, hospitalization, surgery, cancer, hereditary conditions and prescription medication. Its wellness plans cover wellness exams, flea and tick prevention, vaccination and more.

All Pets Best coverage options include access to a 24/7 helpline, one annual deductible, optional direct payment to the vet and the use of any licensed vet in the U.S. or Canada. There is no upper age limit on plans. Annual limits and deductibles are customizable.

• Dog insurance: BestBenefit dog insurance plans cover accidents and illnesses with 70%, 80% or 90% reimbursement. These plans also cover chronic conditions, cancer treatment, emergency care, diagnostics, hospitalization, surgery, prescription medication, periodontal disease and humane euthanasia. Plans also include coverage for hereditary and congenital conditions, like hip and elbow dysplasia. You can choose to exclude exam fees and prescription medication from your plan if it’s better for your budget.
    • Cat insurance: BestBenefit cat care plans offer the same coverage as the dog insurance plans. This insurance pays for exam fees and treatment related to accidents, illnesses, hereditary conditions and cancer. Reimbursement rates are either 70%, 80% or 90%.
    • Routine care coverage: Pet wellness plans featuring routine care are available for both dogs and cats as add-on coverage. Many people add routine care to their accident and illness plans for more complete coverage. There are two plans: EssentialWellness and BestWellness.

Pets Best also offers accident-only coverage that covers things like broken bones and the swallowing of unsafe objects.

Pets Best cost

At the time of publishing, accident-only plans for dogs start at $9 per month. Accident-only plans for cats start at $6 per month. Comprehensive BestBenefit plans, which cover accidents and illnesses, average $35 to $58 per month for dogs and $22 to $46 per month for cats, according to the Pets Best website. The EssentialWellness and BestWellness plans, which cover routine care, are $16 per month and $26 per month, respectively.

Keep in mind that pet health insurance premiums are determined by a few factors, including your animal’s age and breed, where you live and your plan’s annual deductible, annual limit and reimbursement level. New customers should contact the company directly for the most accurate quotes.

Pets Best FAQ

What does Pets Best not cover?
    Pets Best doesn’t cover preexisting conditions, elective and preventive procedures, parasites, grooming, special diets, supplements, holistic therapy, herbal therapy or experimental therapy.
    Is there a waiting period after enrollment?
    Yes. For accidents, there is a three-day waiting period. For illnesses, the waiting period is 14 days. There’s a six-month waiting period for cruciate ligament conditions. There is no waiting period for routine care plans.
    Does Pets Best have any payout limits?
    Yes, but these annual payout limits can be customized. There is also the option of an unlimited annual payout.
    Where is Pets Best available?
    Pets Best plans are available in all 50 states. Customers can choose any licensed veterinarian in the U.S., Canada or Puerto Rico and have coverage while traveling.
    What is Pets Best’s cancellation policy?
    You can cancel a Pets Best policy within 30 days of the effective date for a 100% refund as long as Pets Best hasn’t paid any claims. Otherwise, you can cancel and receive a prorated refund. Check your policy for specific details about cancellation.

Is Pets Best worth it?

There are many benefits to choosing a Pets Best plan for your dog or cat. You can choose accident-only or accident and illness coverage, customize your annual limit and deductible and add on a wellness plan for routine care. Pets Best also lets you choose any licensed vet, has optional direct vet payment and includes access to a 24-hour vet hotline with all policies. As you would when shopping for any insurance product, get quotes from multiple companies and read over the fine print so you know what’s covered.

Pets Best Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pets Best?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2023

My dog has been insured under them since 2018 when he was a puppy. This past month he needed to have some periodontal disease taken care of. Pets Best paid lots of money to write their policy in such a way, that you are misled, and you can't get anyone on the phone to ask about coverage beforehand. They are CON ARTISTS. They state, they will only cover periodontal disease, if your dog has a cleaning, and the periodontal disease is fixed. Once that happens, they will cover it if it happens again, so basically to get periodontal coverage, your dog has to get it twice in 13 months, and they only cover the 2nd time.... WHY NOT JUST SAY WE DON"T COVER IT! - Better off putting the 50.00 a month in an interest-bearing savings account, because this INS co is crap!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

They always just keep the positive reviews but as a consumer for almost 2 yrs unfortunately we are cancelling our policy. This insurance doesn’t have compassion to their customers and don’t understand options that they can give to the consumers. They will not inform you if your premium will increase, to be honest I never even got so much money back from our claim even some of the conditions of my pets are covered. Worst pet insurance.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

At first, they were very helpful and thorough. But then, after I paid hundreds of dollars for my dog's neuter procedure, I then find out none of it was covered because I didn't have their additional, "Best Wellness Endorsement plan". I had no idea that there was even such a plan to choose from in the beginning. Their customer service then was PATHETIC after the fact. Careful when you choose insurance. Be it for humans or pets, they are all in it for the money.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

I have had my dog covered by Pets Best for about 3 years. Never had any real issues until recently when I found out my dog had a heart murmur & needed an echocardiogram. I sent in so much documentation as did my Vet (who has been my vet for 20+ yrs). Closed my claims because I didn’t have the correct info which was complete **- said they could not read the payment. Kept waiting for payment & after 7 weeks told me it needs to be paid in full before they can process it. Why not tell me that the 6 other times I called & spoke to someone or the 10 emails I sent. I just had my 4th breast cancer surgery so have not been able to work & told them that things were really tight & I needed them to reimburse me what should be about $1500 & keep getting a different answer. It's in the queue for payment- - it's being reviewed for payment- today I get it's going to be made a decision on in the next 24-48 hours - WHAT?!!!

It's been 10 weeks now & here is the kicker - you only have 90 days to deal with your claim & then it's closed for good! It's an absolute scam! I will be contacting every vet I know with a detailed letter letting them know what is happening along with a printout of the complaints on this website so they can be aware NOT TO EVER SUGGEST THEM! I will also be contacting my attorney as well as the ASPCA & my Attorney General. This is absolutely not ok.

I am about to be evicted because they won’t pay a claim that has been valid & I have never been late with my premium which was $148 a month up until 3 months ago right before I knew about the heart condition - I had to lower the coverage because of my health situation & my financial crisis. They are incompetent & full of one excuse after another. They should be closely investigated & I will be starting the lead on finding out more to prove I am correct with my documentation & proof. I am EXTREMELY detailed & I recorded all of the calls as well!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2022

I had this pet insurance for over a year. I did a lot of research before picking a company to insure my pets after having a dog die of cancer a few years ago. I thankfully did not have to use my policy during this year (i had not met the deductibles yet), but had decided to cancel it after they raised the rates after the first 12 months to a MUCH higher rate without giving me ANY warning. I noticed when the amount charged to my debit card (deducted from my checking account) was much higher than my normal monthly fee. I decided to cancel my policies on my pets. I received verbal and written confirmation of my cancellation from Pets Best. Several days after the policies were all cancelled and I started getting alerts from my bank that Pets Best was making multiple charges to my debit card (which was linked to my checking account, so the money they were charging was immediately being removed from my bank).

I spoke with a rep who assured me the issue would be cleared up shortly and no further charges would be made. Within only ONE hour after that phone call, several MORE charges were being made by Pets Best to my debit card. I spoke with another representative who was very rude on the phone and informed me that *I* was wrong and they were not charging me, but they were giving me "refunds". I informed him that my bank had confirmed that these were CHARGES and not refunds. Over $100 was already GONE from my bank account in a single day in the form of 5 or 6 separate charges by them in strange amounts that were in no way related to my prior monthly policy fees I used to pay them.

As the day went on and more charges were made by them (DAYS AFTER MY POLICY WAS CONFIRMED AS CANCELLED), my bank got involved and had to report my debit card number as STOLEN to make the charges stop. My bank then went to work in helping me dispute the illegal charges made by Pets Best (for which I had written proof that my policy had ended). Thankfully my bank was very helpful in this, but it is an absolute disgrace that a pet insurance company would do this to hard working people who just want to do what is best for their pets.

I later became aware that this is not the only time this has happened to someone. Read the other reviews on here. I also found that other people in my circle had experienced the same thing. If I could give this company ZERO STARS, I would. Instead of wasting money with this company, just open a separate small saving account and put what you would pay for an insurance premium in there to save for when you need it for your pet. I wish I had done that a year ago. Reading the other reviews on here, it seems there is a huge issue with them not covering claims that are clearly covered services. BEWARE!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

Huge scam: I submitted claims in Mid-August. I'm a new client so I understand the time required to collect medical records. What I don't understand is that all my claims were closed without any notification or communication. Had to contact PetsBest on 3 occasions and get a manager involved to have them reopened, then they were closed a second time (again without notifying me) due to incomplete medical records. Took 2 days to get in contact with an agent, had the respective documentation needed sent. I was told it could take up to 30 days for it to be resolved but I had 2 weeks until my insurance was up for renewal.

I mentioned it doesn't make sense for me to renew the insurance if the newly diagnosed heart disease wasn't covered and the manager said "there's nothing we can do about that". She then mentioned I would be notified going forward via email and there has been a "glitch" in their system. I had to contact them at least 2x a day for them to complete the claims prior to the renewal date. They only covered one of the claims which was for newly diagnosed heart disease and didn't cover the other half due to "prior existing condition", when the medical records have written in fine print "new findings on chest x-ray".

With great effort, got in contact with an agent who apologized, validated that this was "very strange" because she looked over the medical records while I was on the phone and said this is a huge mess-up on our part, and gave me paperwork to fill out to dispute the decision made. I asked why no one notified me of the claim not being covered, and she said "my manager told me I didn't have to reach out". I have never had such a poor experience with any pet insurance (I have 2 dogs), I truly don't recommend this insurance to anyone. Very money oriented and impossible to get in contact with someone.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2022

Pets Best is the absolute scam of any insurance. I am calling the BBB, the California Insurance Board and any other place I can urge people not to do anything with this company. They buy their reviews, I have a 10yr dogson. He hasn't been to the vet since the pandemic. Went into this awesome vet that my friends recommended. This was just an initial wellness check up, met the vet, get blood drawn, see what shots he needs, etc. While there Vet listened to his heart and said it sounds like he has a heart murmur, he needs xrays and blood. Later we will need an echogram (650). Left there with bloodwork, xrays. Everything was actually really good. I spent 650 dollars for that. Mind you I'm thinking they will reimburse (from what the reviews say) 80% within a week.

First it took 45 days of which I paid Pets Best 100 a month for 3 months already, my deductible is 500. Lol which is a joke. Every time I called up there were countless excuses. They even used the hurricane as an excuse. Told me they called my vet and they never got them the paperwork (yes they did). I even got them the paperwork personally along with the x ray which showed my dog's heart was good. Last night I received an email saying they were going to reimburse me 8.00. Lol. Cancelled the policy immediately, refused to returned my 300. I paid for nothing. Also just to note they used VET TECHs to determine your claim not Veterinarians. DO NOT USE THEM.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

We submitted 3-4 claims online to Pets Best Insurance. Going in to four months later, the least expensive was paid at half the cost of the claim and still waiting on the others. They constantly pend them for one reason or another. One just disappeared from their system entirely. Had to resubmit it. Multiple trips to vet to constantly get a new rewritten claim that is more legible, more detailed, etc., upload them and still one after the other reason for not paying the claims in a timely manner. Waste of my time and the vet office! The vet told me the insurance company does this hoping you will just get fed up and give up and forget about it. They're sure doing their best at that! Try another insurance, please! Not this one.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

I have been with Pets Best since February of this year. When I first insured my dog I was told his deductible was $50. For 7 months they never paid one red cent. I had a few visits, one for an ear infection and one for a scratched eye. Both took place after the 14 day waiting period and they refused to pay anything claiming his ear infection was a pre-existing condition and that they took the full refunded amount ($198) from the scratched eye and applied it towards his deductible of $250, well over what his actual deductible is. They have refused to pay anything and look for any reason to pay out. Absolutely do not come to this company.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

I read many of the reviews about this company and simply refused to believe they could be true. I assumed that many of the disgruntled reviews were from people that didn't understand how insurance works and what it does/doesn't cover. I'm an accountant and have worked in the insurance industry so I felt like I had a good understanding of the policies and coverage limits. I assumed that if I just followed the policy and procedures and was aware of what restrictions there were, that I and my dog would be fine. I was wrong and I'm paying for my mistake now.

This insurance company is very difficult to deal with. After providing my dog's medical records multiple times (they repeatedly claimed they didn't receive them even though they were literally attached to the same email chain) they ended up denying my claim based on it occurring during the waiting period. Only problem is that the waiting period is 14 days, my policy began on March 17th, and the issue didn't crop up until May 26th. That's 70 days. You don't have to be a genius to understand that 70>14. It's difficult to get someone competent on the phone to get these issues resolved, and good luck getting to a supervisor. I'll be filing a complaint with my State's Insurance Commissioner and I'd suggest others in a similar situation do the same. TLDR Don't do business with these people. Find a better company that will actually honor their policies.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Pet Insurance partner.

Pets Best Company Information