3.4/5 (105 ratings)

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

About Pets Best

Pets Best is a pet insurance company specializing in flexible coverage for cats and dogs. Customers can cover their pet for accidents only or for both accidents and illnesses. The annual limit, deductible and reimbursement percentage are all customizable. Pets Best, founded in 2005, has insured over 100,000 pets and paid out over $200 million in claims, according to its website.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Affordable
    • Highly customizable
    • No upper age limit
    • Wellness coverage options

Cons

• Doesn’t cover holistic therapy
    • No stand-alone routine care coverage

Bottom Line

With Pets Best, pet owners have the ability to choose levels of coverage that match their needs, ranging from accident-only coverage to a BestBenefit accident and illness plan. It’s a solid insurance option for dogs and cats.

Pets Best coverage plans

Pets Best dog and cat insurance plans include coverage for accidents and illnesses, emergency treatments, hospitalization, surgery, cancer, hereditary conditions and prescription medication. Its wellness plans cover wellness exams, flea and tick prevention, vaccination and more.

All Pets Best coverage options include access to a 24/7 helpline, one annual deductible, optional direct payment to the vet and the use of any licensed vet in the U.S. or Canada. There is no upper age limit on plans. Annual limits and deductibles are customizable.

• Dog insurance: BestBenefit dog insurance plans cover accidents and illnesses with 70%, 80% or 90% reimbursement. These plans also cover chronic conditions, cancer treatment, emergency care, diagnostics, hospitalization, surgery, prescription medication, periodontal disease and humane euthanasia. Plans also include coverage for hereditary and congenital conditions, like hip and elbow dysplasia. You can choose to exclude exam fees and prescription medication from your plan if it’s better for your budget.
    • Cat insurance: BestBenefit cat care plans offer the same coverage as the dog insurance plans. This insurance pays for exam fees and treatment related to accidents, illnesses, hereditary conditions and cancer. Reimbursement rates are either 70%, 80% or 90%.
    • Routine care coverage: Pet wellness plans featuring routine care are available for both dogs and cats as add-on coverage. Many people add routine care to their accident and illness plans for more complete coverage. There are two plans: EssentialWellness and BestWellness.

Pets Best also offers accident-only coverage that covers things like broken bones and the swallowing of unsafe objects.

Pets Best cost

At the time of publishing, accident-only plans for dogs start at $9 per month. Accident-only plans for cats start at $6 per month. Comprehensive BestBenefit plans, which cover accidents and illnesses, average $35 to $58 per month for dogs and $22 to $46 per month for cats, according to the Pets Best website. The EssentialWellness and BestWellness plans, which cover routine care, are $16 per month and $26 per month, respectively.

Keep in mind that pet health insurance premiums are determined by a few factors, including your animal’s age and breed, where you live and your plan’s annual deductible, annual limit and reimbursement level. New customers should contact the company directly for the most accurate quotes.

Pets Best FAQ

What does Pets Best not cover?
    Pets Best doesn’t cover preexisting conditions, elective and preventive procedures, parasites, grooming, special diets, supplements, holistic therapy, herbal therapy or experimental therapy.
    Is there a waiting period after enrollment?
    Yes. For accidents, there is a three-day waiting period. For illnesses, the waiting period is 14 days. There’s a six-month waiting period for cruciate ligament conditions. There is no waiting period for routine care plans.
    Does Pets Best have any payout limits?
    Yes, but these annual payout limits can be customized. There is also the option of an unlimited annual payout.
    Where is Pets Best available?
    Pets Best plans are available in all 50 states. Customers can choose any licensed veterinarian in the U.S., Canada or Puerto Rico and have coverage while traveling.
    What is Pets Best’s cancellation policy?
    You can cancel a Pets Best policy within 30 days of the effective date for a 100% refund as long as Pets Best hasn’t paid any claims. Otherwise, you can cancel and receive a prorated refund. Check your policy for specific details about cancellation.

Is Pets Best worth it?

There are many benefits to choosing a Pets Best plan for your dog or cat. You can choose accident-only or accident and illness coverage, customize your annual limit and deductible and add on a wellness plan for routine care. Pets Best also lets you choose any licensed vet, has optional direct vet payment and includes access to a 24-hour vet hotline with all policies. As you would when shopping for any insurance product, get quotes from multiple companies and read over the fine print so you know what’s covered.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pets Best?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pets Best?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

We submitted 3-4 claims online to Pets Best Insurance. Going in to four months later, the least expensive was paid at half the cost of the claim and still waiting on the others. They constantly pend them for one reason or another. One just disappeared from their system entirely. Had to resubmit it. Multiple trips to vet to constantly get a new rewritten claim that is more legible, more detailed, etc., upload them and still one after the other reason for not paying the claims in a timely manner. Waste of my time and the vet office! The vet told me the insurance company does this hoping you will just get fed up and give up and forget about it. They're sure doing their best at that! Try another insurance, please! Not this one.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

I have been with Pets Best since February of this year. When I first insured my dog I was told his deductible was $50. For 7 months they never paid one red cent. I had a few visits, one for an ear infection and one for a scratched eye. Both took place after the 14 day waiting period and they refused to pay anything claiming his ear infection was a pre-existing condition and that they took the full refunded amount ($198) from the scratched eye and applied it towards his deductible of $250, well over what his actual deductible is. They have refused to pay anything and look for any reason to pay out. Absolutely do not come to this company.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

I read many of the reviews about this company and simply refused to believe they could be true. I assumed that many of the disgruntled reviews were from people that didn't understand how insurance works and what it does/doesn't cover. I'm an accountant and have worked in the insurance industry so I felt like I had a good understanding of the policies and coverage limits. I assumed that if I just followed the policy and procedures and was aware of what restrictions there were, that I and my dog would be fine. I was wrong and I'm paying for my mistake now.

This insurance company is very difficult to deal with. After providing my dog's medical records multiple times (they repeatedly claimed they didn't receive them even though they were literally attached to the same email chain) they ended up denying my claim based on it occurring during the waiting period. Only problem is that the waiting period is 14 days, my policy began on March 17th, and the issue didn't crop up until May 26th. That's 70 days. You don't have to be a genius to understand that 70>14. It's difficult to get someone competent on the phone to get these issues resolved, and good luck getting to a supervisor. I'll be filing a complaint with my State's Insurance Commissioner and I'd suggest others in a similar situation do the same. TLDR Don't do business with these people. Find a better company that will actually honor their policies.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

It is become very clear that Pets Best is more than just an incompetent company. It seems that they truly are committing fraud to avoid paying out claims. I have had multiple legitimate claims rejected and appealed multiple times. Nothing stated in the policy is being followed and there is no contact between the representatives and the claims department and no way to get a hold of the claims department. Still waiting two months on some claims. Absolutely garbage company.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

Beware of all of the fine print. I had this insurance for 6 years and spent over $17K in premiums. The one time I filed a claim for a periodontal infection, which cost $2,300, the whole claim was denied because I had not had annual dental cleaning with my dog under general anesthesia. There is more, but just know you are wasting your money in hopes of having some support from this sham of company. And ignore that Forbes review, it was obviously bought and paid for by Pets Best.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

Absolute garbage. Brought the most expensive package and was useless. They refuse to pay out most claims and if they do you’ll only get a small portion. Recently canceled services and they’re still attempting to charge me. They even confirmed it was canceled.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

Listen to the reviews and AVOID. If you have a Bulldog, FULLY AVOID. PetsBest will systematically deny as many claims as possible. The company might appear attractive with slightly lower monthly costs than a few of the competitors, but I can assure you, you WILL NOT SAVE any money with PetsBest. Pay special attention to the 14 day waiting period as if you have to go in for anything in that period, they will deny every claim you submit for the lifetime of the policy. Look into Embrace or Lemonade, MUCH BETTER, ethical, and fairer alternatives.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

I’ve been a member since 4/2021 & read the policy & understood the terms. There’s a 6 month waiting period for Cruciate Ligament injuries. I went to see my vet 8/2021 (4 months after my policy started) for undiagnosed limping which resolved itself after a few months. In March 2021 my pet diagnosed with ACL tear & needed surgery. I filed a claim only to be denied because of my visit for the limping. My vet even wrote a letter stating it was a negative drawer test at the time which is indicator of ACL tear. I filed an appeal & it’s been close to 60 days & they still haven’t made a decision saying they haven’t received a referral form from my vet's clinic. I call my vet's clinic & they have no record of ever receiving a referral form. I’ve called at least two times for this claim. They make no effort to contact you & reps can’t tell you anything. It’s bad customer service. I wish I never got involved with them but I can’t go with another insurer because then it’s preexisting. Stay away from this company.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

I had the worse experience with this company and I have been reading the complaints from other customers in this website so this is something that has been going on for a while and apparently they always get away with it. It's ridiculous. My premium was 77 dollars a month. I just cancelled the insurance today after I have been waiting for a month to review the claim. My bill was $503.84 and I was told that I will not be covered for the following amount $426.84... This is crazy!!!

I also was told that part of the reason why I was not cover is because of how I was billed. Even though when I call and ask intructions over the phone on how to submit the claim they never told that I should request an specific way to get billed. I requested to speak with a supervisor and I was told that since I got all the information I will not get a call from a supervisor. I have been wasting my money. I work in the customer service area and this company should not be in the market a lot. If anyone was able to go through the same and was successful filing a complaint and getting their money back please tell me how???

Original review: July 19, 2022

PETS WORST WILL NEVER REIMBURSE YOU!! DO NOT USE THEM! I took my dog in just for a general wellness exam that includes general physical and general bloodwork since she's senior. This stupid Pets Best said it's pre-existing so they denied my claim. WHAT IS PRE-EXISTING HERE? There's no condition, it's just an annual exam and that's excluded and deemed as pre-existing?? PetsBest - you are very greedy, a liar, bad business!!! ~~~ Everyone please stay away from this company~~~ They will only take your money. ~~~

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Pet Insurance partner.

Pets Best Company Information