4.2/5 (161 ratings)
Author picture
Written by
Edited by

About Fetch by The Dodo

Fetch by The Dodo is a pet insurance company that offers comprehensive coverage for dogs and cats. With a policy from Fetch, you can visit any licensed vet in the U.S. or Canada and get reimbursed for up to 90% of covered costs after you meet a deductible. You can make claims using the app or website and be paid in as little as two days by direct deposit. Fetch covers over 280,000 dogs and cats, according to its website.

Pros

• 15-day waiting period
  • Reimbursement by direct deposit
  • Discount opportunities

Cons

• Coverage only for cats and dogs
  • No preventive care plan

Bottom Line

Fetch by The Dodo offers pet insurance for cats and dogs of all ages. It has one comprehensive plan with options for the deductible, reimbursement percentage and annual maximum. Getting a quote online is fast and easy.

What is Fetch by The Dodo?

Fetch by The Dodo is a pet insurance company that covers visits to any licensed vet in the U.S. or Canada, including specialists and emergency hospitals. The company offers one comprehensive plan for your dog and cat, giving you choices for your reimbursement rate, deductible and annual limit.

Once you visit the vet and pay for the visit, you can submit a claim using Fetch’s website or app and get reimbursed via direct deposit in as little as two days. Fetch is based in New York City and covers over 280,000 pets in North America, according to its site.

How does Fetch by The Dodo work?

Getting pet insurance with Fetch by The Dodo is a simple process. You first request a quote online or over the phone, giving information about your pet’s age and breed and where you live. You’re then given a price for the most popular plan and able to adjust the maximum annual payout ($5,000, $15,000 or unlimited), annual deductible ($250, $300 or $500) and reimbursement percentage (70%, 80% or 90%).

When you get Fetch pet insurance, you’re eligible for coverage at any licensed vet in the U.S. or Canada after a waiting period of 15 days (other waiting periods may apply). To submit a claim, you need your pet’s medical records and a paid itemized invoice from the vet. You can use Fetch’s app or the portal on its website to file a claim. Within 24 hours your claim is assigned to an agent. Fetch either approves it and starts processing payment or denies it and lets you know why. You can cancel at any time.

Fetch by The Dodo packages

Fetch pet insurance offers one coverage plan for cats and dogs of any age. The coverage includes:

• Exam fees for sick or injured pet
  • Comprehensive dental (all teeth)
  • Injuries and illnesses
  • Holistic and chiropractic care
  • Cancer treatment
  • Behavioral therapy
  • Breed-specific conditions
  • Prescription medication (not food)

Fetch pet insurance doesn’t cover:

• Preexisting conditions
  • Routine and preventive care (though the company may offer it soon)
  • Cosmetic and elective procedures

Fetch prices

Fetch by The Dodo pet insurance costs an average of $35 per month for dogs and $25 per month for cats. The cost of your Fetch pet insurance depends on whether you have a dog or cat, its breed, its age and where you live. Your deductible, reimbursement percentage, maximum annual payout and whether you pay monthly, quarterly or annually also affect the premium.

We requested an insurance price for a 3-year-old, medium-size mixed-breed dog in Austin, Texas. The most popular plan — with a $300 deductible, 80% reimbursement rate and $15,000 maximum payout — was $37.78 per month.

At the time of publishing, Fetch by The Dodo also offers several discounts. Once you’re a Fetch member, you can save by being claim-free.

Fetch FAQ

Does Fetch by pet insurance coverage start immediately?
No, Fetch by The Dodo coverage doesn’t start immediately. The waiting period in most states is 15 days for accidents and injuries. There is also a six-month waiting period for hip and knee issues and a 12-month curable exclusionary period.
Does Fetch pet insurance cover vaccinations?
No, Fetch doesn't cover vaccinations because it considers them to be part of routine care.
Does Fetch pet insurance offer discounts?
Yes, Fetch offers a discount of up to 10% to those who adopt pets from a shelter, Walmart shoppers, AARP members, active and retired service members, owners of therapy and support pets and vets and employees of veterinary clinics. You can also save by paying quarterly or annually instead of monthly.
Is Fetch pet insurance worth the cost?
Having Fetch pet insurance could help you save on unexpected veterinary care expenses. Plans average at $25 a month for cats and $35 a month for dogs, and you have to meet an annual deductible of at least $250 before coverage kicks in. As with other types of insurance, there’s always a chance you won’t use it. Consider the likelihood that your pet will need nonroutine care and try to calculate the potential cost, then compare that figure with the total cost of pet insurance.

Is Fetch legit?

Fetch by The Dodo is a legitimate pet insurance company that covers thousands of dogs and cats in North America. We like that its plans are comprehensive and its waiting period isn’t long. It’s also easy to get a quote. Unlike other companies, however, it doesn’t offer any add-on coverages, like for routine care. We recommend gathering quotes from multiple pet insurers and comparing plans before choosing which is best for your dog or cat.

Fetch by The Dodo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fetch Pet Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2022

I am amazed with this policy & the customer service. I had gotten this (very hesitant) thinking I would never use it because my dogs were perfectly healthy.. Almost a year later my one pup was diagnosed with kidney problems. She ended up passing after a few weeks. It’s still very hard.. This company was so so helpful making sure I could get all of my information to them to make sure I got reimbursed for what I could with my policy. It did take a while to get reimbursed but I had a ton of claims. I mean I was putting in a claim like every 2 days. So I expected that.

Every single person I had spoke to on the phone was very very helpful & made me feel very special I felt like they loved my pup like their own. It made the entire process easier. I was in the thousands with my vet bills. Very nervous that I was never going to get reimbursed.. I was thinking what are the chances.. It’s “pet insurance.” One morning I woke up & had a ton of emails saying ALL of my claims were approved && the money was in my bank account that same morning. I was so happy I started crying, then immediately paid off my credit card. This is something every pet owner should have. I have been recommending it to every single person who asks about our situation with our pup. This company is AMAZING && I’m so thankful I came across you guys. Thanks you so so much for everything you all did for me & my pups. I will continue to have a policy with you guys for every pet I own.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2022

Really easy and straight forward to submit claims. I have been submitting claims to Fetch for a couple of months due to a health issue my dog had and I’m glad I could count on Fetch when I needed the most. Claims could be processed a little quicker, it is taking about 10 days to hear about the decision. And also I wish there was a quick way to call customer services on the app to answer the questions I had. I have tried to use the online channel as I didn’t find a phone number, but the chat was only with automated messages and I could not get the answers and personalized service I was looking for. Other than that it’s been great to have Fetch as my pet insurance partner.

Fetch by The Dodo response

Nyara, thank you for taking the time to share your review. We appreciate your feedback so we can make improvements moving forward. We are glad to hear your overall claims experience has been easy and straightforward. You can reach us at 866.509.0163; we'd be happy to help answer any questions you may have in the future.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

For everyone who thinks pet insurance isn't worth the cost I offer my experience. I have four cats (feral rescues) and for many years I thought the same - small claims not adding up to the premiums. But a few months ago our beloved Patience (mother of our other cats) had a second saddle thrombosis - a blood clot that often proves fatal and has a low post survival life expectancy. Look it up! She recovered from the first one but this one was worse. Over $5K in vet bills and treatment ongoing. Our girl has survived and doing much better, but my husband is disabled so we are chronically short of money. The 80% reimbursement from Fetch was so incredibly helpful, and Fetch also pays 80% of the expensive meds she will be on for life. They pay fast too. You never think this will happen to your pet, especially when young and healthy, but when catastrophic things happen. It's well worth having the coverage. Thanks Fetch.

Fetch by The Dodo response

Lisa, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We're glad we could be there when you needed us the most and are happy to hear your cat is doing much better.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

My 2-year-old Shiba Inu is very healthy but suddenly got Lyme positive and has joint issues even after we gave him monthly ** treatment. Luckily we have Fetch covered the exam and blood test and all the medication treatment, it's a big release for us. They asked for medical reports, invoices, and historical reports and in addition, they asked for Lyme prevention purchase proof. The app is very user-friendly and payment is fast.

The only problem is their online customer service, some of them do not understand their policy. On one invoice, we have some prescription dog food not covered by insurance, and they didn't pay it back to us. But when some of the prescription dog food is returned, the credit is on another invoice, when claiming that invoice. they didn't deduct that part and short pay us. Online customer service just tells me they pay 80% invoice amount, and won't return my credit back to me. And he's very rude and impatience. I wrote an email to the claim department and they were quick response and processed my request in 72 hours. Overall, I am happy with Fetch and also referred 3 friends with Shiba to join Fetch.

Fetch by The Dodo response

Lan Lan, we appreciate you taking the time to review us! We're so glad our claim department was able to help. Thank you for sharing your feedback!

Original review: July 24, 2022

Our dog, which we've had since he was a 9 week old puppy, had been living an ordinary and healthful life for over 8 years. We signed up with Fetch as we put his new collar on for the first time. He very recently and suddenly began to exhibit signs of vision loss, and as we sought diagnoses from our vet and an emergency animal care facility, the devastating news that he had SARDS (Sudden Acquired Retinal Degeneration Syndrome) was given to us. Our spirited and healthy dog was suddenly and irreversibly blind. We had never needed to submit claims to Fetch before, so when I found myself saddled with hundreds of dollars of veterinary bills I worried that the process would be daunting and contentious (to prove my dog's legitimate ailment, doctor visits to identify the issue and the diagnosis).

Thankfully Fetch's claim & review process is very straightforward, and reimbursement payments were issued in a timely fashion. I highly recommend anyone with a pet to acquire insurance. It's a small monthly price to pay for peace of mind in the event that an unforeseen issue comes up for your beloved member of the family.

Fetch by The Dodo response

Noel, thank you for taking the time to share your review!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

They denied a claim that we were clearly entitled to; lied about terms when I called them; and other nightmares we had dealing with them. They also hide various conditions that they do not want you to see, and when it comes time to file a claim basically stonewall you. Do not waste your money on this horrible company. There are many much better ones.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2023

We have had Fetch since we’ve had our sweet Labradoodle Lucy. She is our first pet so we have no comparison. She has developed Cushing Syndrome which is expensive, and having good insurance has been a blessing. Claim filing is easy and quickly completed. They keep you informed throughout the process. Thanks Fetch!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

I have been with them since 2017 they are affordable and fair about claims my dog had surgery on both knees when she was 6 they covered all the medical and follow ups. They have the best customer service this is the company you want to have if there is an emergency. My fur Babies are my whole world I have two and have recommend them for years my family uses them thank you for taking care of my babies.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2022

My 1 year old Havanese Lizzy started having urinary issues so I took her to my vet & she was put on antibiotics. After 5 days there was no improvement so they did a urine test & then a x-ray & discovered 5 stones in the bladder & recommended surgery. She had the surgery & came out of it with everything being okay. Fetch paid everything that my policy outlined without question & in less than 2 weeks of the money was deposited in my account. I would definitely recommend Fetch for their professionalism & quick response during a difficult & stressful time. I had a different insurance company with my last dog & they were by no means as good.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2022

Fetch absolutely came through for my sweet little dog Ruby. She had severe patellar luxation in her back right knee that was inhibiting normal activity, and she isn't even two yet! I am SO glad I got this insurance for her when she was just 3 months old. It is easy to file a claim, and I received responses and updates via text and email to let me know the claim was in review. Within less than two weeks I had 80% of my total surgery cost deposited straight into my bank account. I have been recommending Fetch to everyone I know! SO grateful and pleased with everything about this company!

Fetch by The Dodo Company Information