2.0/5 (19 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Jon Bortin

About Fetch by The Dodo

Fetch by The Dodo is a pet insurance company that offers comprehensive coverage for dogs and cats. With a policy from Fetch, you can visit any licensed vet in the U.S. or Canada and get reimbursed for up to 90% of covered costs after you meet a deductible. You can make claims using the app or website and be paid in as little as two days by direct deposit. Fetch covers over 280,000 dogs and cats, according to its website.

Pros

• 15-day waiting period
  • Reimbursement by direct deposit
  • Discount opportunities

Cons

• Coverage only for cats and dogs
  • No preventive care plan

Bottom Line

Fetch by The Dodo offers pet insurance for cats and dogs of all ages. It has one comprehensive plan with options for the deductible, reimbursement percentage and annual maximum. Getting a quote online is fast and easy.

What is Fetch by The Dodo?

Fetch by The Dodo is a pet insurance company that covers visits to any licensed vet in the U.S. or Canada, including specialists and emergency hospitals. The company offers one comprehensive plan for your dog and cat, giving you choices for your reimbursement rate, deductible and annual limit.

Once you visit the vet and pay for the visit, you can submit a claim using Fetch’s website or app and get reimbursed via direct deposit in as little as two days. Fetch is based in New York City and covers over 280,000 pets in North America, according to its site.

How does Fetch by The Dodo work?

Getting pet insurance with Fetch by The Dodo is a simple process. You first request a quote online or over the phone, giving information about your pet’s age and breed and where you live. You’re then given a price for the most popular plan and able to adjust the maximum annual payout ($5,000, $15,000 or unlimited), annual deductible ($250, $300 or $500) and reimbursement percentage (70%, 80% or 90%).

When you get Fetch pet insurance, you’re eligible for coverage at any licensed vet in the U.S. or Canada after a waiting period of 15 days (other waiting periods may apply). To submit a claim, you need your pet’s medical records and a paid itemized invoice from the vet. You can use Fetch’s app or the portal on its website to file a claim. Within 24 hours your claim is assigned to an agent. Fetch either approves it and starts processing payment or denies it and lets you know why. You can cancel at any time.

Fetch by The Dodo packages

Fetch pet insurance offers one coverage plan for cats and dogs of any age. The coverage includes:

• Exam fees for sick or injured pet
  • Comprehensive dental (all teeth)
  • Injuries and illnesses
  • Holistic and chiropractic care
  • Cancer treatment
  • Behavioral therapy
  • Breed-specific conditions
  • Prescription medication (not food)

Fetch pet insurance doesn’t cover:

• Preexisting conditions
  • Routine and preventive care (though the company may offer it soon)
  • Cosmetic and elective procedures

Fetch prices

Fetch by The Dodo pet insurance costs an average of $35 per month for dogs and $25 per month for cats. The cost of your Fetch pet insurance depends on whether you have a dog or cat, its breed, its age and where you live. Your deductible, reimbursement percentage, maximum annual payout and whether you pay monthly, quarterly or annually also affect the premium.

We requested an insurance price for a 3-year-old, medium-size mixed-breed dog in Austin, Texas. The most popular plan — with a $300 deductible, 80% reimbursement rate and $15,000 maximum payout — was $37.78 per month.

At the time of publishing, Fetch by The Dodo also offers several discounts. Once you’re a Fetch member, you can save by being claim-free.

Fetch FAQ

Does Fetch by pet insurance coverage start immediately?
No, Fetch by The Dodo coverage doesn’t start immediately. The waiting period in most states is 15 days for accidents and injuries. There is also a six-month waiting period for hip and knee issues and a 12-month curable exclusionary period.
Does Fetch pet insurance cover vaccinations?
No, Fetch doesn't cover vaccinations because it considers them to be part of routine care.
Does Fetch pet insurance offer discounts?
Yes, Fetch offers a discount of up to 10% to those who adopt pets from a shelter, Walmart shoppers, AARP members, active and retired service members, owners of therapy and support pets and vets and employees of veterinary clinics. You can also save by paying quarterly or annually instead of monthly.
Is Fetch pet insurance worth the cost?
Having Fetch pet insurance could help you save on unexpected veterinary care expenses. Plans average at $25 a month for cats and $35 a month for dogs, and you have to meet an annual deductible of at least $250 before coverage kicks in. As with other types of insurance, there’s always a chance you won’t use it. Consider the likelihood that your pet will need nonroutine care and try to calculate the potential cost, then compare that figure with the total cost of pet insurance.

Is Fetch legit?

Fetch by The Dodo is a legitimate pet insurance company that covers thousands of dogs and cats in North America. We like that its plans are comprehensive and its waiting period isn’t long. It’s also easy to get a quote. Unlike other companies, however, it doesn’t offer any add-on coverages, like for routine care. We recommend gathering quotes from multiple pet insurers and comparing plans before choosing which is best for your dog or cat.

Fetch by The Dodo Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fetch by The Dodo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fetch Pet Insurance?

Original review: May 17, 2022

If I could give the "Fetch" pet insurance company (previously Petplan) zero stars I would. Where do I start???? I've been a customer since November 2021 and have paid over $400.00. I have called and called, chat and etc. for them to call my Veterinary Office for medical records. They told my vet that I said they were refusing to send the medical records, which I never said that. They then sent via chat what my vet supposedly sent them. The wrong client and wrong dog. My vet claimed they never sent it. I called and was promised they would call my vet and that never happened. My vet office even thought they were difficult.

Finally, I emailed them and it took them FOUR days to respond. I had a claim in January 2022 and March 2022. They denied my English Bulldog soft palate surgery. They stated it was pre-existing. They never did the nail claim from January. I have chatted and told them to cancel my policy since they stop taking calls after about 5 or 6 pm. I was then told I had to call to cancel my policy. I emailed them. I am DISGUSTED by the lack of customer service and lack of care Fetch shows. They need to be reported to the Better Business Bureau. I wouldn't recommend this insurance to my worst enemy.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 9, 2022

Here in Canada, I purchased pet insurance through Petplan, whose name has recently changed to Fetch (US company). I have had this policy on my 5 year old female dog for many years. Recently, I received notice that my annual policy premium will increase by 40% and frankly, I am shocked. NO claims were made in the year leading up to this ridiculous price increase. Having spoken with a Fetch representative, I still do not know how they justify this kind of increase, when other companies have not had similar increases. I will never recommend this company.

Original review: April 28, 2022

I have been with Fetch (previously Pet Plan) for close to 20 years with my 3 cats. In that time, I have seen them go from very customer-driven to almost exclusively profit-driven. Their policies now appear to always prioritize their savings over customer payouts (so the pet owner gets as little as legally possible). Examples: They will apply another deductible whenever possible - so if your pet goes in for weight loss and then is diagnosed with diabetes, you have to pay a new deductible. They deduct the co-insurance first (which greatly lowers what they have to pay you). And now they are applying the co-insurance before you have even met your deductible. My puppy is now on another insurance that offers one, annual deductible and I am seeing a huge difference - and way less headache. I would strongly suggest that pet owners continue shopping!

Original review: April 28, 2022

Our pets have been insured with FETCH for almost a year. In December 2021 one dog tore his ACL. I asked the insurance company his surgery would be covered and they said yes. This is almost 5 months later and we were never reimbursed. They told me the funds were sent but we never received any money. IMO this is a FRAUD and a huge SCAM!!! We were asked over and over to resend the same info, they had my dogs full medical history from the time he was 8 months old and they claimed it was not enough!!! They told me repeatedly I was the one to blame and to this day they have never reimbursed us!! HOWEVER THEY HAVE SENT NUMEROUS EMAILS STATING YOU'VE BEEN APPROVED. YOUR MONEY IS ON THE WAY!!! Do not do business with this company!!!

Original review: April 23, 2022

Our monthly premium jumped up 148.00 more per month. We were paying 82 and without any notification other than our credit card bill, it went up to 230.00 per month. I can see premiums going up but not THIS much! Submitting a claim is now easier than before and appears the reimbursement is better than before as well (knock on wood). But we are very disappointed at the major increase in monthly premium.

Original review: April 17, 2022

I signed up to Fetch in February, 2020. That was the very beginning of lockdown and all the difficulties related to COVID. I had a long phone conversation with Insurance agent and wrote up all the terms and conditions he highlighted. The agent never mentioned that I must take my dog to visit a vet ASAP (during total lockdown) to have initial records even if my dog is healthy and does not need vet service. He never explained that failing to have this records will result in ZERO reimbursement of any claim I submit, and all treatments my dog gets are qualified as preexisting conditions. The company kept charging me without ANY reminder that I did not attend my vet for initial evaluation. At this crazy pandemic time such reminder could be helpful. However, the goal of Fetch is to get your money. That's why nobody cares about your specific case and your specific conditions. It is just another type of scam.

Original review: April 12, 2022

On December 23rd I received a charge on my credit card with the name Fetch on it. I had never heard of Fetch, so I googled it. Nothing came up except for a delivery service in California. So I called my bank and disputed the charge. They of course cancelled my credit card which caused a whole big hassle of making me have to change my card for automatic charges on other accounts not to mention it was two days before Christmas and I was without a card for a few days. Well a couple days later I get an email from PetPlan saying, "We are now Fetch." Don't you think they should have sent that out before they charged my card???

Since my bank and I had disputed the charge on my credit card Fetch cancelled my insurance. When I got the email, I called my bank and told them to cancel the dispute, but they told me it was too late. I later called Fetch and explained to them what happened, gave them my new credit card number and asked them to reinstate the policy. I assumed they did as the woman I spoke to said no problem.

A couple months later I realized I hadn't been charged. So I called back and spoke with a supervisor and she looked up my account and saw that the legal department had refused to reinstate my insurance so she would try again, she said this happened to a lot of people and would call me back on Monday. I never heard back. So, I tried again this morning and just got an email back saying that they will not reinstate my insurance. That if I want new insurance I have to reapply. Of course this will mean a higher rate and a new waiting period. All because of their error.

When my card was cancelled, I'd forgotten some of the things that automatically drew off of it one of them was my car insurance. When the payment didn't process because the card was cancelled, I simply called them up and gave them the new card. They were fine with that, they didn't cancel my car insurance and or make me apply for a new policy. I recommend you look elsewhere for pet insurance. There are other companies out there with much better customer service than this one.

Original review: April 11, 2022

2020 $1,919.41/year @12 years old. 2021 $2,725.31/year @13 years old. 2022 $4,670.46/year (almost doubled) @14 years old!! It has been $700-900 increase over recent years but I thought it can’t help because he is getting older. Then this year he just turned 14 and they just sent us the estimate of this year’s annual premium for $300 deductible/$15Kmax/90% coverage. We have had this insurance since this was petplan. We hardly used this insurance when he was young. I wanted the best plan for him. Well, not anymore…as when it used to be Petplan…

We enrolled this insurance while our 14-year old was a puppy. Since then the company was sold to many different places and the plan is getting worse and worse. Now the deductible is per condition and per year. He was diagnosed for Cushing and diabetes last year and I feel like they are penalizing the clients toward end of our pet life! They do know we can’t go anywhere else since PTR-existing condition won’t be covered if I moved to another place. And I feel like they are just naming the price… or encourage us to drop off the plan until we can no longer afford it! At least they should show clients the premiums projections as your pet ages. They wrote “since pet insurance is considered risk insurance, the older a pet gets, the more likely a pet owner is to submit claims.” OMG. Still there should be a reasonable increase. I feel like I was deceived!

I think Trupanion is much honest since they don’t increase the premiums. I wish 10 years ago I could have switched to that company. Please know what they will do when your pet is older and you need their help most. I think you have a better option now. At our time Petplan was the BEST. I am SO dissatisfied with their plan. They emailed that again my policy is transferred to another company… PS: note there is no change in location/plans since past years. We have been living in the same place for over a decade. The only variable is his age ONLY or penalizing toward this year’s premium since last year they had to reimburse $3000 (so far) to us for diabetes/Cushing.

Original review: March 23, 2022

I don't even know where to start. I have had so many issues with Fetch/Pet Plan that have all been incredibly unpleasant. In today's day and age, I have never experienced such hate and disdain for being a client as I have calling Fetch. Fetch just decides how things are going to be and refuses to even consider rectifying issues, even when the error is made on their side. Basically, I have learned Fetch expects me to take it up the bum and smile about it.

The saddest thing of all is that you partnered with The Dodo. The Dodo brings happy news to people, celebrating the good in life. I really fear partnering with Fetch will negatively impact their reputation for spreading good in the world. All Fetch does is try to screw their clients which is the opposite of what The Dodo stands for. I was very disappointed to see the partnership news come through. Fetch has so much potential but they aren't interested in improving and helping their customers. I cannot wait to leave Fetch when I relocate at the end of the year - I dream about it. I hate this company so much.

Original review: March 22, 2022

I honestly don't know whether I'll ever get reimbursed. I have sent email after email, call after call, and yet I continue to have issues. I have submitted all the records possible and yet I still am getting notifications about reaching out to my vet, missing records, etc. While I can finally log in, it has done nothing considering I cannot see my claims. At all. It has been 63 days and counting and I have gotten nowhere. This was a fantastic company before becoming Fetch by The Dodo, and now I feel like I'm screaming into the void, all while still getting charged.

Fetch by The Dodo Company Information