Fetch Pet Insurance

Written by
Author picture
Edited by

About Fetch Pet Insurance

Fetch Pet Insurance is a company that offers comprehensive coverage for dogs and cats. With a policy from Fetch, you can visit any licensed vet in the U.S. or Canada and get reimbursed for up to 90% of covered costs after you meet a deductible. You can make claims using the app or website and be paid in as little as two days by direct deposit. Fetch covers over 280,000 dogs and cats, according to its website.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Up to 15-day waiting period
  • Get reimbursed up to 90%
  • Includes $1,000 in online vet visits
Cons
  • Coverage only for cats and dogs

What is Fetch Pet Insurance?

Fetch Pet Insurance is a pet insurance company that covers visits to any licensed vet in the U.S. or Canada, including specialists and emergency hospitals. The company offers one comprehensive plan for your dog and cat, giving you choices for your reimbursement rate, deductible and annual limit.

Once you visit the vet and pay for the visit, you can submit a claim using Fetch’s website or app and get reimbursed up to 90% via direct deposit in as little as two days. Fetch is based in New York City and covers over 370,000 dogs and cats in North America, according to its site.

How does Fetch Pet Insurance work?

Getting pet insurance with Fetch Pet Insurance is a simple process. You first request a quote online or over the phone, giving information about your pet’s age and breed and where you live. You’re then given a price for the most popular plan and able to adjust the maximum annual payout ($5,000, $15,000 or unlimited), annual deductible ($250, $300 or $500) and reimbursement percentage (70%, 80% or 90%).

When you get Fetch pet insurance, you’re eligible for coverage at any licensed vet in the U.S. or Canada after a waiting period of up to 15 days (other waiting periods may apply). To submit a claim, you need your pet’s medical records and a paid itemized invoice from the vet. You can use Fetch’s app or the portal on its website to file a claim. Within 24 hours your claim is assigned to an agent. Fetch either approves it and starts processing payment or denies it and lets you know why. You can cancel at any time.

Fetch Pet Insurance packages

Fetch Pet Insurance offers one coverage plan for cats and dogs of any age. The coverage includes:

• Exam fees for sick or injured pet
  • Comprehensive dental (all teeth)
  • Injuries and illnesses
  • Holistic and chiropractic care
  • Cancer treatment
  • Behavioral therapy
  • Breed-specific conditions
  • Prescription medication (not food)
  • Routine and preventive care

Fetch Pet Insurance doesn’t cover:

• Preexisting conditions
  • Cosmetic and elective procedures

Fetch Pet Insurance prices

Fetch Pet Insurance costs an average of $35 per month for dogs and $25 per month for cats. The cost of your Fetch pet insurance depends on whether you have a dog or cat, its breed, its age and where you live. Your deductible, reimbursement percentage, maximum annual payout and whether you pay monthly, quarterly or annually also affect the premium.

We requested an insurance price for a 3-year-old, medium-size mixed-breed dog in Austin, Texas. The most popular plan — with a $300 deductible, 80% reimbursement rate and $15,000 maximum payout — was $37.78 per month.

At the time of publishing, Fetch Pet Insurance also offers several discounts. Once you’re a Fetch member, you can save by being claim-free.

Fetch Pet Insurance FAQ

Does Fetch Pet Insurance coverage start immediately?

No, Fetch Pet Insurance coverage doesn’t start immediately. The waiting period in most states is up to 15 days for accidents and injuries. There is also a six-month waiting period for hip and knee issues and a 12-month curable exclusionary period.

Does Fetch Pet Insurance cover vaccinations?

No, Fetch doesn't cover vaccinations because it considers them to be part of routine care.

Does Fetch Pet Insurance offer discounts?

Yes, Fetch offers a discount of up to 10% to those who adopt pets from a shelter, Walmart shoppers, AARP members, active and retired service members, owners of therapy and support pets and vets and employees of veterinary clinics. You can also save by paying quarterly or annually instead of monthly.

Is Fetch Pet Insurance worth the cost?

Having Fetch Pet Insurance could help you save on unexpected veterinary care expenses. Plans average at $25 a month for cats and $35 a month for dogs, and you have to meet an annual deductible of at least $250 before coverage kicks in. As with other types of insurance, there’s always a chance you won’t use it. Consider the likelihood that your pet will need nonroutine care and try to calculate the potential cost, then compare that figure with the total cost of pet insurance.

Is Fetch legit?

Fetch Pet Insurance is a legitimate pet insurance company that covers thousands of dogs and cats in North America. We like that its plans are comprehensive and its waiting period isn’t long. It’s also easy to get a quote. Unlike other companies, however, it doesn’t offer any add-on coverages, like for routine care. We recommend gathering quotes from multiple pet insurers and comparing plans before choosing which is best for your dog or cat.

Stars Rating

• 50%
  • 2%
  • 5%
  • 2%
  • 41%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fetch Pet Insurance?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fetch Pet Insurance?
    Verified purchase

Reviewed May 28, 2024

I purchased pet insurance when my dog was below one year old especially when the insurance advertisements stated “locked-in premium fee”. I trusted the statement but my premium went up without any notice. Fetch charged my card without informing me why the premium had gone up, no reasons were given. Hidden and surprised charges. Very unethical.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Claims HandlingStaff

Reviewed May 8, 2024

I have been with Fetch since February. They are pretty good. However, their claims process is a joke. Not sure why it takes two weeks to pay out a claim. It’s not like human insurance where certain codes are needed. I submitted my paperwork about an ongoing issue with my dog, and the paperwork from the vet stated it was a check and to continue with the current meds and redo a chest X-ray in 30 days. They’ve continued to cover what the policy states but now are dragging their feet to pay the recent claim. I’m sorry my dog ended up with fungal pneumonia but that is why we have insurance. Once this is cleared up, I pray he stays healthy so I just have to worry about shots.

Reviewed April 17, 2024

As a person who grew up in a family business and through out my adult life I’ve owned and worked in eight of my own, I do not call a company out for poor performance lightly. In April 2023, I brought a puppy into my life, and purchased Fetch Pet Insurance. Harrison was one year old February 16, 2024. He had the first Vet examination as required within days, his vaccinations on time, and neutering, within the first six months of his life. He has never been sick, he didn’t require any other services. On March 7th, 2024 he ingested a prescription med when it hit the floor. I took him to an emergency pet center, they kept him overnight with fluids and observation. The invoice was just under 2K.

On March 8th, 2024, I filed a claim with Fetch on line, along with ALL the records I had for Harrison. Twice afterwards, Fetch asked for the records, and twice I sent them again. Then they sent an email stating that the claim was subject to not being paid because I had not sent the records. Today is April 17, 2024. This morning, in reply to my request as to why the claim was not paid, Fetch said my claim was on hold because I had not sent records. However I have emails from Fetch acknowledging their receipt of the records each time I sent them.

Clearly this is how Fetch does business, wearing out their clients until the client gives up, so they can deny the claim. Don’t not purchase this insurance, it is a waste of your money and time. A selling point Fetch uses is that most claims are paid within two weeks. Another is that their website has a “Chat” feature. They Do!, But it is limited to pre written general questions, and much the same as in the frequently asked questions, answered by a bot. And for entertainment, try calling Fetch.

Reviewed April 2, 2024

Last year I had realized that I had a duplicate account with Fetch that I had been paying for since I got the policy. I called and asked them to cancel one of the policies. They ended up cancelling both policies. I called and told them they messed up! I only wanted one of the policies because we only had one dog at that time. They ended up refunding my account for two policies. Today I got a call from a chipper lady named Lindsay to let me know that they should have not totally refunded me because they had paid a claim prior to cancellation. She said I owed $1,032.19. I told her that it was Fetch's mistake not mine. She said what could they do to make it right. I said make so that I don't owe you nothing. Anyway she said in her oh so chipper voice that I had two weeks before it is presented to collections. In order to cut ties with Fetch, I went ahead and paid the money back. I told her I use to talk very glowingly about Fetch Pet insurance. Not anymore. I am quite happy with Nationwide. Thank you!

Reviewed March 18, 2024

My experience with Fetch was poor. First, they wanted to charge me to reimburse an expense via check. They sent repeat emails urging me to sign up for direct deposit. However their app was so clunky that I didn't have a lot of confidence in their tech capabilities, let alone their cybersecurity. I wasn't going to give them my bank account info. But if I didn't sign up for direct deposit, they said they'd charge me $3 per check for any reimbursement. And they didn't tell me about this until after I signed up for the insurance plan.

Beyond that aggravation, their claims handling is inconsistent. To give some background, my dog is enrolled in a 12-month payment plan with his veterinarian for routine puppy expenses (neuter, shots, first exam, stool testing, etc.). This is a fixed expense for the year, but the vet provides a monthly payment plan to make it easy for customers. So I pay a monthly fee that covers the standard puppy care. Anything non-standard is charged separately. This is just a payment plan - there is no insurance provided by the vet. I sent Fetch all the paperwork for the vet's payment plan in September, so they understood how I was paying for things. My dog was simultaneously enrolled in a wellness benefit through Fetch, and they reimbursed me for his first exam per the wellness benefit. That was fine.

Fast forward a few months, and he was neutered and had bloodwork done. This was all standard puppy care that should be covered under the Fetch wellness benefit. But when I submitted for reimbursement, they denied the claim because he has "coverage through the vet." I pushed back and re-explained that he is just on a payment plan, not an insurance plan, through the vet. So he does not have vet "coverage," which Fetch should already know because they reimbursed his claim in September under the wellness benefit.

Well they denied it anyway, insisting that he has vet coverage. It was ridiculous. I honestly think their utilization review staff don't bother to look at the claims history beyond the claim they are reviewing. So if you go with Fetch, be ready to resubmit *all* the history with each claim (and have fun doing that on their awkward app). Don't trust them to look back at older claims. And don't be surprised if you get a denial anyway, despite jumping through that hoop.

Anyway, I wasn't going to maintain a wellness benefit that I can't use because Fetch doesn't understand what a payment plan is. I called them to cancel the wellness benefit, but they refused to cancel it because I got a reimbursement from my first claim in September. At this point, I was aggravated so I just cancelled the whole thing. This means I have to enroll in a different pet insurance plan, which is annoying. But I don't trust Fetch to handle future claims correctly, so I'm happy to go. Hopefully I have a better experience elsewhere.

Rates

Reviewed March 17, 2024

In 2017, I became a policyholder under the provision of pet insurance for my Yorkshire Terrier, opting for the plan with unlimited coverage, a 90% reimbursement rate, and an annual deductible of $150. Year by year, I have endured an increasing premium payment, averaging an 8% increase annually straight from 2017 through 2022. Please see the detailed analysis below:

2017: $434.52
      2018: $456.51 (5% increase)
      2019: $519.57 (12% increase)
      2020: $597.32 (13% increase)
      2021: $649.12 (8% increase)
      2022: $732.21 (11% increase)
      2023: $1,064.28 (31% increase)

2024: $1,775.92 (40% increase)

The subsequent years showed an alarming increase after Petplan attempted to modify my coverage in 2022. A proposed restriction on my annual cover to $5K was introduced, coupled with a reduced reimbursement rate of 80% and an increased deductible of $500. I called in to discuss my plan on 02/01/23 at 12:39 PM and spoke with JORDAN. His tone and manner were cold, callous, and very condescending. He talked down to me and made me feel bad for choosing to provide my pet with the highest level of coverage from the beginning. He offered unreasonable downgrades and suggested I cancel my service. Refusing such alterations, I faced an undeserved punishment of increasing rates by 30% and 40% in the years 2023 and 2024, respectively. Essentially, feeling strong-armed into reducing my coverage or canceling my policy.

According to the "Healthy Paws Cost of Pet Care Report" by Canine Journal, the average annual cost of pet insurance in New Jersey for a dog with unlimited coverage is $672. When compared with the $1775.92 price tag Petplan has levied upon me, this constitutes a 59% increase, which is preposterous. The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) has regulations in place requiring insurance companies to publicly explain any rate increase of 15% or more before its implementation, which Petplan is unable to do.

My pet has all his annual check-ups, necessary vaccinations, and preventative care, and raising my rates this high with no just cause appears deceptive. PetPlan is not basing my rates on the actual cost of insurance in NJ, my car, homeowners and medical insurance did not increase by 59% over the 2 years. Petplan's inability to provide a reasonable justification for this egregious 59% rate increase is an unethical practice of price gouging. I DO NOT RECOMMEND PURCHASING PET INSURANCE FROM PETPLAN (FETCH) underwritten by AXIS INSURACE CO. Their rate increases do not to reflect a fair market actual cost of insurance .

Claims Handling

Reviewed March 9, 2024

I have a French Bulldog and chose Fetch Insurance because they advertised coverage for breed-specific issues. My dog, who is now two years old and brachycephalic, had experiencing recurrent regurgitation. When he was a puppy at around 6 months old, we were unaware of this condition, as he is our first dog. We took him to the vet to investigate, but at that time, he was not yet insured. The vet recommended a specialized hydrolyzed food to test for allergies. We then enrolled in an insurance plan when the dog turned 8 months old.

Recently, when my dog turned 2 years old and the regurgitation persisted, we consulted the vet again and decided on surgery to improve his quality of life by addressing his breathing difficulties. To my surprise, when I submitted a claim to Fetch, they deemed this issue as pre-existing and denied coverage. Despite being a breed-related problem attested by the vet and clearly a breed issue, Fetch refused to honor the claim.

They said that the brachycephalic syndrome was considered pre-existing; however, the dog born brachycephalic, so it is not something that it is caused before the insurance. Unless I started my plan when the puppy still didn’t born, it will be always pre existent. As a concerned pet parent, I provide my vet with every detail of my pet's life, and it is disappointing that Fetch chose ALWAYS the situation in their favor. I promptly canceled my policy with Fetch and cannot recommend their services. It is disheartening to feel misled and taken advantage of by an insurance provider.

Claims Handling

Reviewed Feb. 7, 2024

When my dog turned 6 they doubled my insurance, and when he turned 8 it tripled. No one from Fetch would help me find an alternative plan and there is zero customer support. I had their insurance since he was 1 with no major illnesses and claims. This past month the insurance went up to 2700.00 a year so I cancelled. I got quotes from other companies and none of the other companies were this high.

Reviewed Feb. 2, 2024

I have 3 policies with Fetch (formerly Petplan) with the oldest policy est. 2018. My oldest dog with no payouts since 2018 (payout was a couple hundred dollars), her annual premium in 2024 went from $501 to $1,710! Switching to USAA. Not waiting to see how much they raise my premium on my other 2 policies. If this is the way they treat long-time customers with multiple policies, can't imagine how they treat new customers. STAY AWAY.

Reviewed Jan. 22, 2024

I had four senior pups. One of my pups Tinker was misdiagnosed three times and finally was diagnosed with a tumor on her spleen. I had unlimited limit for insurance so I submitted claims to help save her life. I was rewarded by Fetch by having her downgrade her policy when I had to renew. They cut her policy by 50%. So unlimited means limited if you use it. Tinker unfortunately died 2 months later. The anxiety level increased with my three other pups trying to establish a strategy that would keep their policies the same. I downgraded to 25,000 hoping that fetch would be satisfied. I only use insurance for regular visits to the acupuncturist every 2 months and cold laser therapy twice a month. Other vet visits I paid out of pocket fearing that I would have another congratulations letter rewarding me with another downgrade.

I email fetch eight times during 2023 asking them if I was still within the limits and what was the risk of my fur babies' policies being downgraded. I heard nothing. No response whatsoever. So I called up in December since I knew renewal was coming up in March and talk to an agent. He told me I was in good standing and that's the policies would be renewed with no changes. 3 weeks later I received another congratulations letter stating that my youngest Michi policy change to 70% reimbursement $500 deductible per condition and they kept $25,000 annual limit. The number they gave me to call was an AutoNation parts department number. I called the next day and was told I had no options. I had to accept or cancel the new policy. The reason cost to Loss ratio. Her premium was less than the other two that they kept the same that's because they were two years older than her I explained. Of course her premium was less. Even though over the past 5 years they have doubled and quadrupled their policies.

Since her policy has changed they reduce it by $800. That's creating more of a risk of her being downgraded every year if I use the policy. I believe that's what fetch wants me not to use the policy and keep the $2,200 or to cancel. My other two pups cost me $8,000 per year. Their agents are sympathetic yet most do not give accurate information. I started out with an annual deductible and when the new underwriters were hired it changed to per condition and when I complained they said I was always per condition. At that point they were at an age where it would be difficult to get insurance so I stayed and now I am stuck. Moral of the story if you submit claims be prepared to be downgraded without your knowledge. It would be better if they at least gave a cap on what they would pay out so a pet parent can be financially frugal with their claims.

Fetch Pet Insurance Company Information