Get Pricing

4.5/5 (81 ratings)

About Lemonade Pet Insurance

Lemonade pet insurance helps cover the treatment costs for a variety of accidents and illnesses, with optional coverage for preventive care. You can easily file a claim with no hassle using the Lemonade app. Lemonade sets itself apart from other insurance providers by taking flat fees from its customers’ premiums and donating leftover funds to charities chosen by policyholders (including animal welfare organizations).

Pros

• Pricing starts at $10/month
  • Multiple discounts
  • Quick reimbursement times

Cons

• Not available in every state
  • No local agents

Bottom Line

Lemonade pet insurance covers tests, procedures and medicine for your cat or dog after an accident or illness. The company offers expanded coverage with a preventive care add-on. You can sign up online for coverage in seconds.

Top Lemonade Pet Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I just got a new puppy and did a ton of research on the best Pet Insurance. Lemonade ended up being my choice. I can tell you they have been a pleasure to deal with! I’ve already ...

Verified

The folks at Lemonade have been very helpful through the claims process. Ths staff is caring and always asks about my dog and her wellbeing and make the claims process smooth. The...

What is Lemonade pet insurance?

Lemonade pet insurance is like health insurance for your dog or cat. Its standard plan helps cover the costs of diagnostics, procedures and medications when your cat or dog has an accident or illness and has to go to the vet.

The company offers two add-on coverages: the Preventative Package includes live medical chat and covers an annual wellness exam, annual parasite test, annual heartworm screening, annual blood test and up to three vaccines. The Preventative+ Package adds coverage for medication for fleas, ticks and heartworm prevention and routine dental cleaning.

Lemonade is a public benefit corporation that takes a flat fee from customer premiums and donates leftover funds to organizations chosen by its policyholders, including animal welfare organizations. In 2020, Lemonade’s “Giveback” was over $1.12 million.

How does Lemonade pet insurance work?

Lemonade pet insurance has an annual deductible, an annual limit and coinsurance. When signing up for Lemonade’s basic pet insurance, you can adjust these amounts so that a policy fits your budget. Annual limits range from $5,000 to $100,000, and coinsurance, or the amount Lemonade pays after you meet your annual deductible, is either 70%, 80% or 90%.

During sign-up, you’ll also choose whether you want to add optional coverage for preventive care, vet visit fees or physical therapy. If you have a puppy or kitten under 2 years old, you can add on the Puppy/Kitten Preventative Package, which covers two wellness exams, six vaccines, two fecal or internal parasite tests, spaying or neutering, microchipping, and heartworm or flea and tick medication.

Once you sign up for a pet insurance policy, you pay a monthly premium to keep your pet insured. Keep in mind there are a few waiting periods before you can use your coverage:

• Two days for accidents
  • 14 days for illnesses
  • Six months for cruciate ligament issues

When you file a claim for a covered event, Lemonade pays the coinsurance level you initially chose for your policy, minus any amount of your annual deductible you haven’t met. Let’s say your first vet bill of the year is $1,000, and your plan has a coinsurance of 80% and an annual deductible of $250. You pay $250, and Lemonade covers 80% of the remaining $750.

Because you’ve met your annual deductible with this claim, you won’t have to pay it again for the rest of the year. You continue paying for 20% of claims until Lemonade pays up to the annual maximum, at which point you are 100% financially responsible for your pet’s care.

You can file a claim using the Lemonade app. You’ll upload the vet or clinic invoice and receipt before submitting the claim. Lemonade’s goal is to process claims instantly. In some cases, you may be able to get a claim paid before leaving the vet’s office; other claims may take more time to review.

Lemonade pet insurance cost

Lemonade offers pet insurance starting at $10 per month. The price you pay ultimately depends on your pet’s age and breed, the plan you choose, your location and other factors. Dogs are generally more expensive to insure than cats.

Adjusting your annual deductible, coinsurance and annual limit can lower your premium. Keep in mind, though, that you'll pay more out of pocket for vet bills if you opt for less coverage. Lemonade’s annual deductible options are $100, $250 and $500, its coinsurance options are 70%, 80% and 90%, and its annual limits are between $5,000 and $100,000.

Lemonade pet insurance FAQ

Does Lemonade pet insurance have online quotes?
Yes, Lemonade offers free online quotes using basic information about your pet.
Lemonade pet insurance covers costs for diagnostics (e.g., blood tests, X-rays, ultrasounds), procedures and medication for cats and dogs with injuries and illnesses. Its optional Preventative Package covers live medical chat, bloodwork and vaccines, and its Preventative+ Package pays for medication to prevent fleas, ticks and heartworms and routine dental cleaning. You can also get add-on coverage for vet visit fees and physical therapy. A preventive care package for puppies and kittens is available as well.
Yes, Lemonade offers a 10% bundling discount if you combine pet insurance with home or renters insurance. It also offers a 5% discount if you cover multiple pets and a 5% discount for paying annually instead of monthly.
Lemonade’s pet insurance is available in 35 states and Washington, D.C. Pet parents can buy a policy in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.

Is Lemonade pet insurance good?

Lemonade pet insurance doesn’t cover accidents or illnesses that occur during the waiting periods, dental illness, preexisting conditions or spaying and neutering for pets over 2, but this is standard for pet insurance companies. The company makes it easy to sign up for coverage and get fast reimbursement after claims. It’s a smart choice for cat or dog parents looking to shield themselves from unexpected and costly vet bills. As with any insurance policy, be sure to read the fine print carefully so you know exactly what’s covered.

Lemonade Pet Insurance Reviews

Original review: May 13, 2021

When I got Ludo at 8 weeks 1 day in December I had already reached out to Lemonade for insurance. They were very timely and thorough with their responses. They sent me info on exactly what kind of physical they needed. All went very smoothly and I was happy. We are retired and long time dog owners. I know it only takes one accident or sickness to cost thousands. Wanting the best for our pup I knew insurance was the most responsible option. We had a one year old pound puppy that came with one month’s insurance- we kept that but I decided to put Ludo on Lemonade. I liked what I read, and it’s true!

Our first pup tested positive for Lyme. It took months before her insurance finally got things straight and paid their part for her medications. It was a huge headache. The difference Ludo suddenly became lame and in pain March 24, 2001. He needed meds and X-rays- I contacted Lemonade. They immediately “took over”. Assigned me a “special agent”. They paid that bill March 26,2001! It was difference between night and day - I say go with Lemonade. You’ll be so glad you did. I am going to switch my other dog to Lemonade even though any Lyme complications can't be covered as they are pre-existing I still believe it’s a 100% worth it!

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 13, 2021

As a brand new dog owner with a dog that has predisposed stomach problems and dietary sensitivities I knew Teddy (my cockapoo) was going to be a handful. When I was told Teddy will always have a sensitive stomach I knew I needed to get the best coverage for Teddy and have him be seen by the best doctors, ALWAYS. He's been going to his vet and hasn't had any problems, except for the first time he got colitis. I was hit with a $600+ bill! He was given an x-ray, medication, and needed rounds of IV because he was dehydrated. I contacted Lemonade and got reimbursed within DAYS. I kid you not. I submitted the paperwork through the app, was emailed by a kind representative and within days got my reimbursement.

If you want your pet to have good coverage and for a cheap price, please go through Lemonade! You won't regret it, I promise!! Not only are the plans really cheap (I pay $20 a month), but you have real people that you can talk to at the tips of your fingers (through the app). I am really happy I went through lemonade. I had them for my renters insurance and now for my pet.

Original review: May 13, 2021

First, I have never written a review for any kind of insurance plan (health, renters, or even pet insurance!), but Lemonade is also like no other insurance I have ever worked with either in my professional or personal life. When I welcomed Bella into my life, I decided to get health insurance just to be safe. We initially purchased insurance with another provider, but I came across Lemonade on Instagram and immediately fell in love with the company from a marketing perspective. What was even better was when I found out they were a B-Corp!

While it's easy to write about nice interactions when making the monthly premium payments, Lemonade has gone above and beyond. They are by far the most responsive insurance company I have ever worked with. They respond to inquiries on what feels like an immediate basis and make the process of submitting a claim even easier than it is to get Bella to eat! When we decided to welcome a second Maltese into our home, I didn't hesitate and purchased a Lemonade plan for the newest family member (Vincent).

To say I'm pleased with Lemonade is a complete understatement as the personal nature with which their staff interacts with customers makes the whole process painless. It's evident that they truly care about Bella and Vincent. On top of that, the service that allows you to communicate with a veterinary professional via chat is priceless -- it has literally been there to help me navigate some of the uncertain moments of caring for Bella and Vincent.

Original review: May 12, 2021

Lemonade pet insurance really helped me avoid major financial problems once my cat got unexpectedly sick. Emergency fees and surgery costs were high and I found out that my cat should get the procedure immediately. Everything happened so fast and I found myself using up my savings/credit card to pay the upfront costs. Fortunately, I had some peace of mind because I had Lemonade cat insurance. I saved every document the vet clinic provided because I know I had to provide accurate and detailed documentation on the invoice costs and the vet comments.

Overall, the process was very straightforward. I recorded myself describing the incident with as much detail as possible. I listed the line items from the surgery and hospitalization invoice. I provided any additional documents needed. After submitting everything, I got reimbursed 2 weeks later. Keep in mind that depending on how many claims are being made in a season, yours could get finalized sooner or later. Anyways, I am very thankful for Lemonade's cat insurance services and their professional, courtest staff who I have had a great pleasure communicating with.

Original review: May 12, 2021

It really is uncanny to think that Lemonade is, at the end of the day, an insurance company. Everything about my engagement with them feels very un-corporate, and very, very un-insurance-company. We've had to submit a couple claims for our dog, Harper; each time, the response was prompt, personal, funny, thoughtful, comprehensive, and clear. Our questions receive similar response: quick, thorough, and personal. And it just feels like the team actually really cares about making the process easy for us and, more importantly, about our dog's health. I'm so glad that Lemonade expanded into pet insurance (y'all cover our home, too, but fortunately we haven't submitted a claim on that yet), and am truly satisfied with the investment I make in paying for Harper's insurance each month. The customer service alone is remarkable, let alone the easy-to-use app and generous and very timely reimbursements. Awesome product, awesome team!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

The claims department seems to have communication issues and they don't seem to care about their customers. I've had Lemonade since 04/21, and my cat got sick so I took her to vet and got her looked at. When I sent them the invoice and explained what happened. They wanted more information. Then, two weeks after, I started to worry since my claims has not been processed. I reached out to ask if they need anything else. The individual who handled my claim stated that she would reach out to the vet to speak to them for more clarification and another week went by. I called my vet to ask if they have reached out, they didn't. I reach out again, which she told me to send her all the information on my cat past history that she said she was going to look into.

Still frustrated, I reached out to my vet and I got it and sent it. Four days after, she denied it stating the vet claimed she was already sick prior. I looked over the note and it didn't state that at all. So, they lied to get out out paying my claim. They also do not follow up on their promise of fast claim process as my claim took over almost a month to process due to their department lagging and leaving me all of the work when they should of been reaching out to verify all of the information they needed to close it out. I would not recommend them. Please shop around and really do your research before going with them.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I recently joined Lemonade Insurance due to the rave published reviews and ratings. Although I don’t know anybody personally that has this insurance, I took a leap of faith that the advertising is accurate and not a mere scam. Unfortunately my pup; teddy got sick with a multitude of issues. Lemonade somehow found a way to deny the initial claim stating “all” the symptoms were experienced before my pup's waiting period. This was despite detailed documentation from an emergency room stating otherwise. The second claim was ignored completely despite detailed medical records and diagnostic data sent to them several times. My inquiries and concerns left unanswered with complete and utter unapologetic apathy towards my suffering furry family member, my best friend. Everything I read about Lemonade Insurance company was the exact opposite of what I experienced.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

Poor customer service, agent was dismissive, rude and would not answer direct questions. Also, they expect you to jump through hoops to file a simple claim requiring you to upload a video of yourself explaining the claim and submit doctor's notes, etc. Ridiculous! Canceled today prior to first 30 days and they refused to give me a refund of my $43.00 even though I didn’t use their service.

Original review: June 29, 2021

Lemonade's "pre existing conditions" include items that are not considered to be conditions... FYI. My 3 month old puppy had some dermatitis (inflammation of the skin) on his very first doctor's visit, which was soon after we adopted him and got the policy. We were asked to keep an eye on it. Now they're saying they won't cover ANY dermatitis, which is the most generic issue that could have been written, at any point in his life. They also won't cover ANYTHING that causes the dermatitis.... which could range from anything including sun allergies to eczema to shampoo to another dog's saliva, etc. Any time he has inflammation of the skin, we can't be expected to be covered.

I'm talking about a puppy that came out into the world 3 months ago that "has a preexisting condition" my **. DON'T GET LEMONADE, try any other company because it has to be better than this ** excuse of a company. Their main policies are for Renters and Homeowners insurance and they should really stick to that. What they did cover so far happens to be his initial appointments, but every insurance company just about will cover that. Lemonade is 100000% not worth the price and I highly regret putting my puppy in the hands of these clowns for the next 11 months.

Original review: June 19, 2021

I am very happy with Lemonade pet insurance. They usually have fast responses within 24-36 hours and the funds get to my bank within 4-5 days. They are also very caring, when my puppy is sick they always respond with “hope she is feeling better.” The only negative-which is why I gave them 4 stars is that I didn’t realize my accident illness coverage does not cover the vet exam fee. This is my first pet so I didn’t understand how vet fees/insurance works. Overall I am very happy with Lemonade and have recommended them to my friends as well.

Lemonade Pet Insurance Company Information