4.8/5 (162 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Taylor Sansano
Edited by Jon Bortin

About Lemonade Pet Insurance

Lemonade pet insurance helps cover the treatment costs for a variety of accidents and illnesses, with optional coverage for preventive care. You can easily file a claim with no hassle using the Lemonade app. Lemonade sets itself apart from other insurance providers by taking flat fees from its customers’ premiums and donating leftover funds to charities chosen by policyholders (including animal welfare organizations).

Pros

• Pricing starts at $10/month
  • Multiple discounts
  • Quick reimbursement times

Cons

• Not available in every state
  • No local agents

Bottom Line

Lemonade pet insurance covers tests, procedures and medicine for your cat or dog after an accident or illness. The company offers expanded coverage with a preventive care add-on. You can sign up online for coverage in seconds.

Top Lemonade Pet Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I just got a new puppy and did a ton of research on the best Pet Insurance. Lemonade ended up being my choice. I can tell you they have been a pleasure to deal with! I’ve already ...

Verified

The folks at Lemonade have been very helpful through the claims process. Ths staff is caring and always asks about my dog and her wellbeing and make the claims process smooth. The...

What is Lemonade pet insurance?

Lemonade pet insurance is like health insurance for your dog or cat. Its standard plan helps cover the costs of diagnostics, procedures and medications when your cat or dog has an accident or illness and has to go to the vet.

The company offers two add-on coverages: the Preventative Package includes live medical chat and covers an annual wellness exam, annual parasite test, annual heartworm screening, annual blood test and up to three vaccines. The Preventative+ Package adds coverage for medication for fleas, ticks and heartworm prevention and routine dental cleaning.

Lemonade is a public benefit corporation that takes a flat fee from customer premiums and donates leftover funds to organizations chosen by its policyholders, including animal welfare organizations. In 2020, Lemonade’s “Giveback” was over $1.12 million.

How does Lemonade pet insurance work?

Lemonade pet insurance has an annual deductible, an annual limit and coinsurance. When signing up for Lemonade’s basic pet insurance, you can adjust these amounts so that a policy fits your budget. Annual limits range from $5,000 to $100,000, and coinsurance, or the amount Lemonade pays after you meet your annual deductible, is either 70%, 80% or 90%.

During sign-up, you’ll also choose whether you want to add optional coverage for preventive care, vet visit fees or physical therapy. If you have a puppy or kitten under 2 years old, you can add on the Puppy/Kitten Preventative Package, which covers two wellness exams, six vaccines, two fecal or internal parasite tests, spaying or neutering, microchipping, and heartworm or flea and tick medication.

Once you sign up for a pet insurance policy, you pay a monthly premium to keep your pet insured. Keep in mind there are a few waiting periods before you can use your coverage:

• Two days for accidents
  • 14 days for illnesses
  • Six months for cruciate ligament issues

When you file a claim for a covered event, Lemonade pays the coinsurance level you initially chose for your policy, minus any amount of your annual deductible you haven’t met. Let’s say your first vet bill of the year is $1,000, and your plan has a coinsurance of 80% and an annual deductible of $250. You pay $250, and Lemonade covers 80% of the remaining $750.

Because you’ve met your annual deductible with this claim, you won’t have to pay it again for the rest of the year. You continue paying for 20% of claims until Lemonade pays up to the annual maximum, at which point you are 100% financially responsible for your pet’s care.

You can file a claim using the Lemonade app. You’ll upload the vet or clinic invoice and receipt before submitting the claim. Lemonade’s goal is to process claims instantly. In some cases, you may be able to get a claim paid before leaving the vet’s office; other claims may take more time to review.

Lemonade pet insurance cost

Lemonade offers pet insurance starting at $10 per month. The price you pay ultimately depends on your pet’s age and breed, the plan you choose, your location and other factors. Dogs are generally more expensive to insure than cats.

Adjusting your annual deductible, coinsurance and annual limit can lower your premium. Keep in mind, though, that you'll pay more out of pocket for vet bills if you opt for less coverage. Lemonade’s annual deductible options are $100, $250 and $500, its coinsurance options are 70%, 80% and 90%, and its annual limits are between $5,000 and $100,000.

Lemonade pet insurance FAQ

Does Lemonade pet insurance have online quotes?
Yes, Lemonade offers free online quotes using basic information about your pet.
What does Lemonade pet insurance cover?
Lemonade pet insurance covers costs for diagnostics (e.g., blood tests, X-rays, ultrasounds), procedures and medication for cats and dogs with injuries and illnesses. Its optional Preventative Package covers live medical chat, bloodwork and vaccines, and its Preventative+ Package pays for medication to prevent fleas, ticks and heartworms and routine dental cleaning. You can also get add-on coverage for vet visit fees and physical therapy. A preventive care package for puppies and kittens is available as well.
Does Lemonade have pet insurance discounts?
Yes, Lemonade offers a 10% bundling discount if you combine pet insurance with home or renters insurance. It also offers a 5% discount if you cover multiple pets and a 5% discount for paying annually instead of monthly.
Where is Lemonade pet insurance available?
Lemonade’s pet insurance is available in 35 states and Washington, D.C. Pet parents can buy a policy in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.

Is Lemonade pet insurance good?

Lemonade pet insurance doesn’t cover accidents or illnesses that occur during the waiting periods, dental illness, preexisting conditions or spaying and neutering for pets over 2, but this is standard for pet insurance companies. The company makes it easy to sign up for coverage and get fast reimbursement after claims. It’s a smart choice for cat or dog parents looking to shield themselves from unexpected and costly vet bills. As with any insurance policy, be sure to read the fine print carefully so you know exactly what’s covered.

Lemonade Pet Insurance Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Pet Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

I am not a believer in insurance much less PET Insurance? LOL, no way. A year ago I got a 9 week old puppy, as I am so against puppy mills I found a breeder of cocker spaniels and went the long road. At about six months I knew I needed to get him neutered. Well much to my surprise, It has been decades since I needed an animal spayed or neutered. I was floored at the prices. I looked for close to 6 month before I found a vet that would cost my under 1,000.00. Someone suggested puppy insurance.

I looked and Looked. Not too many covered neuterings and microchipping, and then I found Lemonade. It didn't cover all of it, but heck even if it covered only 25% of cost that was pretty significant. OMG, total bill ended up being $1,500.00 and thank God I had Lemonade. Easy to file claims, easier than my car insurance, paid out the same day on some claims and others next day. This was one of the best investments I have ever made. I will keep this insurance as it is well worth the cost. And the staff is wonderful, helpful, and upfront. Thank you Lemonade for making me a believer.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 6, 2022

We recently signed up our new puppy with Lemonade pet insurance; we opted to get our pup wellness coverage along with vet visit coverage on top of the basic plan. We were very pleased with the ease of signing our pup up. The app is very user friendly and makes submitting documentation a snap. Recently, we filed our first claim. It was as easy as doing online shopping. The person on the other end of the claim feature in the app asked me all the questions I needed to answer, prompted me when to upload my bill from the vet, and made the whole process clear and easy. Plus, the money was deposited in my bank account the next day. I hope we never need to use the insurance for more than wellness visits, but the ease of this first claim puts my mind at ease the Lemonade will be there for my pet and I in an emergency!

Original review: March 23, 2022

My first pet goldie a toy poodle had a tumor on the brain stem. The vet wasn't able to remove it so I had her have radiation therapy at Texas A&M and it was very costly. I didn't have insurance on her and I paid roughly 12000.00 trying to save her life. I didn't have insurance then. I told myself I would get insurance on the pets I would have from then on. So I bought insurance on 3 dogs Buddy, Molly, and GG. Which cost me roughly 45.00 a month for each. Molly had a yeast infection in her ear. I filed the claim and Lemonade responded quickly and I received the money I spent at the vet within 24 hours. I highly recommend Lemonade Pet Insurance. Please don't make the mistake I did and not have insurance. Lastly, I googled searched who had the best pet insurance and it came back with Lemonade. I'm happy I listened to google and added Lemonade.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

Lemonade is a top-tier company that provides amazingly fast and friendly service. They have provided us with amazing service that has given us a peace of mind with the preventive puppy care package they provide. Our little Winston is healthy energetic pup thanks to the awesome policies and coverage Lemonade offers. They are so quick to respond to my questions via emails, and do have a customer service # if you need to talk to a Hooman. They approve claims same day without any hassles and the claim process is super easy!

As a note, make sure you have your documents ready for scan as you can’t save the documents to your phone and upload them that way. The Lemonade app is user-friendly and never has any issues so far. I’m in love with Lemonade and glad I went with them for our pet insurance. Its competitive prices and overall amount of cover they provide each year was a lot more then ASPCA and other companies I researched. Thanks again for all help you’ve done so far.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

When I adopted my dog March 2020, I didn't fully understand the health issues that can come with a pup. After he sniffed up a handful of fire ants and I rushed him to the emergency vet, I quickly learned my lesson and tried to find the best insurance for him that would cover all of the accidents he would come across but also not breaking the bank - that's where I found Lemonade. All of my claims and updates to my plan have been easily handled with great communication from Lemonade reps. I hands down recommend it to friends and am looking to move over my renters insurance and eventually car insurance once it opens up for my state. The app is easy to navigate, plans are laid out in a way that's easy to understand, and prices are almost always cheaper than other places. For a Zillennial, it's easier for me to work through chat and email than calling someone up or going in person so it definitely works in my favor.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

I love Lemonade because they act quickly, fairly, and keep you informed the entire time. It is great to be able to easily submit claims through the app, and their processing time is phenomenal, even when the claim needs to be reviewed by the claim team. I couldn't be happier switching from Embrace.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

Lemonade has been excellent to use for pet insurance. Their puppy upgrade is completely worth it! I didn’t find a single competitor with a similar offering, and those puppy appointments and vaccines really add up! The app is simple to use, reimbursement for claims is painless and quick, and customer service is always friendly and helpful. I love that I can review an employee’s service, and be given the option to reward them for their superb service with options like a beach day or movie tickets! A company that treats their customer service employees well is a company worth considering, and this company checks out for pet insurance!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

I purchased Lemonade Pet insurance for my dog last. I went ahead and got preventative maintenance as well being that he had vaccines due. Preventative claims were easy. Had no issues. Follow up a few weeks later for a second round of vaccine doses at which point he had a little irritated spot on his tail that was records state was “possibly” from allergies or a bug bite and was treated as inflammation with an anti inflammatory not allergy meds. Got him some meds. Claim went through fine. No issues. Ordered flea and tick meds this round as well and once I filed the claim they then told me the decision was made to cover $65 a year max … That wasn’t the initial amount I was told, but whatever, I let it slide. It was better than nothing.

Fast forward to this year I took Junior to the vet as his paws were getting irritated which in fact was diagnosed as allergies and he was administered an allergy shot. Filed the claim. Agent responds “case is being handled etc.” 2 days later I get an email from a new agent… Same thing and she followed up with some questions that had already been answered and she should have had on file. While the claim is still processing I get an email the day the bill is drafted out of my account regarding monthly price adjustment for age. It wasn’t much so no big deal. A little more notice would have been nice though.

Come the other day the agent finally responds to let me know my claim has been denied because his allergy was a pre-existing condition. I said there must be some mistake as he had some inflammation on his tail a while back but, he was insured at the time. She then let me know that due to this being a new policy year that it was pre existing.

Needless to say I have canceled this policy. It was made quite clear that they will come up with whatever possible reason to fight paying out a claim and I don’t trust them to have my best interest if something major were to happen. All I can say is be careful. Everyone I know with a negative experience has stated it started out great, but once you’re an existing customer and they’ve gotten your money they’re going to do whatever it takes to not have to pay anything out when the time comes.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

My baby girl got sick very suddenly and she had to stay in the ER for one week. Unfortunately, after trying many treatments, my baby still couldn’t make it. I was way too sad to do anything. Lemonade insurance makes the claims so much easier. All I need to do is to give them the information of the ER and they will start the review process immediately. They will reach out to the ER/hospital and they finished the review process within a few days, even during weekend. Definitely a big help to let me go through the hard time.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

My $290 vet visit only came out to $150! I can't believe how efficient and all-encompassing this insurance is! My doggie gets the best care, and it was so easy to get reimbursed! I'm telling all my friends to use Lemonade for their fur babies!

Lemonade Pet Insurance Company Information