4.7/5 (177 ratings)
Author picture
Written by
Edited by

About Lemonade Pet Insurance

Lemonade pet insurance helps cover the treatment costs for a variety of accidents and illnesses, with optional coverage for preventive care. You can easily file a claim with no hassle using the Lemonade app. Lemonade sets itself apart from other insurance providers by taking flat fees from its customers’ premiums and donating leftover funds to charities chosen by policyholders (including animal welfare organizations).

Pros

• Pricing starts at $10/month
  • Multiple discounts
  • Quick reimbursement times

Cons

• Not available in every state
  • No local agents

Bottom Line

Lemonade pet insurance covers tests, procedures and medicine for your cat or dog after an accident or illness. The company offers expanded coverage with a preventive care add-on. You can sign up online for coverage in seconds.

Top Lemonade Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Pet Insurance?

Verified

I just got a new puppy and did a ton of research on the best Pet Insurance. Lemonade ended up being my choice. I can tell you they have been a pleasure to deal with! I’ve already ...

Verified

The folks at Lemonade have been very helpful through the claims process. Ths staff is caring and always asks about my dog and her wellbeing and make the claims process smooth. The...

What is Lemonade pet insurance?

Lemonade pet insurance is like health insurance for your dog or cat. Its standard plan helps cover the costs of diagnostics, procedures and medications when your cat or dog has an accident or illness and has to go to the vet.

The company offers two add-on coverages: the Preventative Package includes live medical chat and covers an annual wellness exam, annual parasite test, annual heartworm screening, annual blood test and up to three vaccines. The Preventative+ Package adds coverage for medication for fleas, ticks and heartworm prevention and routine dental cleaning.

Lemonade is a public benefit corporation that takes a flat fee from customer premiums and donates leftover funds to organizations chosen by its policyholders, including animal welfare organizations. In 2020, Lemonade’s “Giveback” was over $1.12 million.

How does Lemonade pet insurance work?

Lemonade pet insurance has an annual deductible, an annual limit and coinsurance. When signing up for Lemonade’s basic pet insurance, you can adjust these amounts so that a policy fits your budget. Annual limits range from $5,000 to $100,000, and coinsurance, or the amount Lemonade pays after you meet your annual deductible, is either 70%, 80% or 90%.

During sign-up, you’ll also choose whether you want to add optional coverage for preventive care, vet visit fees or physical therapy. If you have a puppy or kitten under 2 years old, you can add on the Puppy/Kitten Preventative Package, which covers two wellness exams, six vaccines, two fecal or internal parasite tests, spaying or neutering, microchipping, and heartworm or flea and tick medication.

Once you sign up for a pet insurance policy, you pay a monthly premium to keep your pet insured. Keep in mind there are a few waiting periods before you can use your coverage:

• Two days for accidents
  • 14 days for illnesses
  • Six months for cruciate ligament issues

When you file a claim for a covered event, Lemonade pays the coinsurance level you initially chose for your policy, minus any amount of your annual deductible you haven’t met. Let’s say your first vet bill of the year is $1,000, and your plan has a coinsurance of 80% and an annual deductible of $250. You pay $250, and Lemonade covers 80% of the remaining $750.

Because you’ve met your annual deductible with this claim, you won’t have to pay it again for the rest of the year. You continue paying for 20% of claims until Lemonade pays up to the annual maximum, at which point you are 100% financially responsible for your pet’s care.

You can file a claim using the Lemonade app. You’ll upload the vet or clinic invoice and receipt before submitting the claim. Lemonade’s goal is to process claims instantly. In some cases, you may be able to get a claim paid before leaving the vet’s office; other claims may take more time to review.

Lemonade pet insurance cost

Lemonade offers pet insurance starting at $10 per month. The price you pay ultimately depends on your pet’s age and breed, the plan you choose, your location and other factors. Dogs are generally more expensive to insure than cats.

Adjusting your annual deductible, coinsurance and annual limit can lower your premium. Keep in mind, though, that you'll pay more out of pocket for vet bills if you opt for less coverage. Lemonade’s annual deductible options are $100, $250 and $500, its coinsurance options are 70%, 80% and 90%, and its annual limits are between $5,000 and $100,000.

Lemonade pet insurance FAQ

Does Lemonade pet insurance have online quotes?

Yes, Lemonade offers free online quotes using basic information about your pet.

What does Lemonade pet insurance cover?

Lemonade pet insurance covers costs for diagnostics (e.g., blood tests, X-rays, ultrasounds), procedures and medication for cats and dogs with injuries and illnesses. Its optional Preventative Package covers live medical chat, bloodwork and vaccines, and its Preventative+ Package pays for medication to prevent fleas, ticks and heartworms and routine dental cleaning. You can also get add-on coverage for vet visit fees and physical therapy. A preventive care package for puppies and kittens is available as well.

Does Lemonade have pet insurance discounts?

Yes, Lemonade offers a 10% bundling discount if you combine pet insurance with home or renters insurance. It also offers a 5% discount if you cover multiple pets and a 5% discount for paying annually instead of monthly.

Where is Lemonade pet insurance available?

Lemonade’s pet insurance is available in 35 states and Washington, D.C. Pet parents can buy a policy in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.

Is Lemonade pet insurance good?

Lemonade pet insurance doesn’t cover accidents or illnesses that occur during the waiting periods, dental illness, preexisting conditions or spaying and neutering for pets over 2, but this is standard for pet insurance companies. The company makes it easy to sign up for coverage and get fast reimbursement after claims. It’s a smart choice for cat or dog parents looking to shield themselves from unexpected and costly vet bills. As with any insurance policy, be sure to read the fine print carefully so you know exactly what’s covered.

Lemonade Pet Insurance Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lemonade Pet Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

I am not a believer in insurance much less PET Insurance? LOL, no way. A year ago I got a 9 week old puppy, as I am so against puppy mills I found a breeder of cocker spaniels and went the long road. At about six months I knew I needed to get him neutered. Well much to my surprise, It has been decades since I needed an animal spayed or neutered. I was floored at the prices. I looked for close to 6 month before I found a vet that would cost my under 1,000.00. Someone suggested puppy insurance.

I looked and Looked. Not too many covered neuterings and microchipping, and then I found Lemonade. It didn't cover all of it, but heck even if it covered only 25% of cost that was pretty significant. OMG, total bill ended up being $1,500.00 and thank God I had Lemonade. Easy to file claims, easier than my car insurance, paid out the same day on some claims and others next day. This was one of the best investments I have ever made. I will keep this insurance as it is well worth the cost. And the staff is wonderful, helpful, and upfront. Thank you Lemonade for making me a believer.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 6, 2022

We recently signed up our new puppy with Lemonade pet insurance; we opted to get our pup wellness coverage along with vet visit coverage on top of the basic plan. We were very pleased with the ease of signing our pup up. The app is very user friendly and makes submitting documentation a snap. Recently, we filed our first claim. It was as easy as doing online shopping. The person on the other end of the claim feature in the app asked me all the questions I needed to answer, prompted me when to upload my bill from the vet, and made the whole process clear and easy. Plus, the money was deposited in my bank account the next day. I hope we never need to use the insurance for more than wellness visits, but the ease of this first claim puts my mind at ease the Lemonade will be there for my pet and I in an emergency!

Original review: March 23, 2022

My first pet goldie a toy poodle had a tumor on the brain stem. The vet wasn't able to remove it so I had her have radiation therapy at Texas A&M and it was very costly. I didn't have insurance on her and I paid roughly 12000.00 trying to save her life. I didn't have insurance then. I told myself I would get insurance on the pets I would have from then on. So I bought insurance on 3 dogs Buddy, Molly, and GG. Which cost me roughly 45.00 a month for each. Molly had a yeast infection in her ear. I filed the claim and Lemonade responded quickly and I received the money I spent at the vet within 24 hours. I highly recommend Lemonade Pet Insurance. Please don't make the mistake I did and not have insurance. Lastly, I googled searched who had the best pet insurance and it came back with Lemonade. I'm happy I listened to google and added Lemonade.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

Lemonade is a top-tier company that provides amazingly fast and friendly service. They have provided us with amazing service that has given us a peace of mind with the preventive puppy care package they provide. Our little Winston is healthy energetic pup thanks to the awesome policies and coverage Lemonade offers. They are so quick to respond to my questions via emails, and do have a customer service # if you need to talk to a Hooman. They approve claims same day without any hassles and the claim process is super easy!

As a note, make sure you have your documents ready for scan as you can’t save the documents to your phone and upload them that way. The Lemonade app is user-friendly and never has any issues so far. I’m in love with Lemonade and glad I went with them for our pet insurance. Its competitive prices and overall amount of cover they provide each year was a lot more then ASPCA and other companies I researched. Thanks again for all help you’ve done so far.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

I filed my first claim for our puppy. I wondered how it would work and if the claim would go through. Once I filed the required documents, I was very surprised to see that my claim was approved in less than 1 second and the reimbursement was deposited into my account the next day. I was very impressed because I did not expect this.

The only reason for four stars instead of five is that the app to file the claim is a little cumbersome. I'd like to have a couple of other options to file a claim other than through my phone, such as online (through the web via computer) or a tablet (with an app configured to support a tablet sized screen). I now know my way around the app, so next time should be an easier experience. Overall, I am impressed and recommend Lemonade for pet insurance.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

Very easy and quick process to start a claim. Lemonade requested the records from the vet for me and all I had to do was upload a picture of the invoice. Everything was taken care of within a few days and was done correctly. We’ll be sticking around.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

The initial claim for our dog Wilson took longer than I anticipated. However, once settled everything that I thought should have been covered was paid without any hassle. After the initial settlement, any further claims have been instantly paid. It has meant that we could do the best thing to get him healthy. Although his sight has not returned, he's feeling great.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

We took insurance when our pup was 8 months old. We added the preventive care since it covered part of the neuter surgery costs and vaccine costs. What we loved - The speed of the claim handling. Everything we filed was cleared within the same day. What we didn't like - Vet fees are covered at an additional cost. In our area the vet fees are half the bill so I wish we had covered this. Also the preventive care says 6 vaccines are covered, but actually it covers the cost of up to $150. So if each vaccine is 40$, only 3 are fully covered.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

Absolutely love Lemonade! I got insurance for my cat to be safe. A few months later he started overgrooming himself and licking constantly. We’re still in the works of trying to figure out what’s going on with him specifically but having insurance has helped so much and allows me to try different options for him without worrying about money.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

Filing a claim was super simple and fast! Was able to scan all documents with ease and they even reached out to the vet to assist with other paperwork. All in all no hassle or headaches. They help you each step of the way with quick responses. Received the reimbursement next day. Love love love the Lemonade team!

Lemonade Pet Insurance Company Information