Get Pricing

2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

4.6/5 (80 ratings)

About Lemonade Pet Insurance

Lemonade pet insurance helps cover the treatment costs for a variety of accidents and illnesses, with optional coverage for preventive care. You can easily file a claim with no hassle using the Lemonade app. Lemonade sets itself apart from other insurance providers by taking flat fees from its customers’ premiums and donating leftover funds to charities chosen by policyholders (including animal welfare organizations).

Pros

• Pricing starts at $10/month
  • Multiple discounts
  • Quick reimbursement times

Cons

• Not available in every state
  • No local agents

Bottom Line

Lemonade pet insurance covers tests, procedures and medicine for your cat or dog after an accident or illness. The company offers expanded coverage with a preventive care add-on. You can sign up online for coverage in seconds.

Top Lemonade Pet Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Verified

What is Lemonade pet insurance?

Lemonade pet insurance is like health insurance for your dog or cat. Its standard plan helps cover the costs of diagnostics, procedures and medications when your cat or dog has an accident or illness and has to go to the vet.

The company offers two add-on coverages: the Preventative Package includes live medical chat and covers an annual wellness exam, annual parasite test, annual heartworm screening, annual blood test and up to three vaccines. The Preventative+ Package adds coverage for medication for fleas, ticks and heartworm prevention and routine dental cleaning.

Lemonade is a public benefit corporation that takes a flat fee from customer premiums and donates leftover funds to organizations chosen by its policyholders, including animal welfare organizations. In 2020, Lemonade’s “Giveback” was over $1.12 million.

How does Lemonade pet insurance work?

Lemonade pet insurance has an annual deductible, an annual limit and coinsurance. When signing up for Lemonade’s basic pet insurance, you can adjust these amounts so that a policy fits your budget. Annual limits range from $5,000 to $100,000, and coinsurance, or the amount Lemonade pays after you meet your annual deductible, is either 70%, 80% or 90%.

During sign-up, you’ll also choose whether you want to add optional coverage for preventive care, vet visit fees or physical therapy. If you have a puppy or kitten under 2 years old, you can add on the Puppy/Kitten Preventative Package, which covers two wellness exams, six vaccines, two fecal or internal parasite tests, spaying or neutering, microchipping, and heartworm or flea and tick medication.

Once you sign up for a pet insurance policy, you pay a monthly premium to keep your pet insured. Keep in mind there are a few waiting periods before you can use your coverage:

• Two days for accidents
  • 14 days for illnesses
  • Six months for cruciate ligament issues

When you file a claim for a covered event, Lemonade pays the coinsurance level you initially chose for your policy, minus any amount of your annual deductible you haven’t met. Let’s say your first vet bill of the year is $1,000, and your plan has a coinsurance of 80% and an annual deductible of $250. You pay $250, and Lemonade covers 80% of the remaining $750.

Because you’ve met your annual deductible with this claim, you won’t have to pay it again for the rest of the year. You continue paying for 20% of claims until Lemonade pays up to the annual maximum, at which point you are 100% financially responsible for your pet’s care.

You can file a claim using the Lemonade app. You’ll upload the vet or clinic invoice and receipt before submitting the claim. Lemonade’s goal is to process claims instantly. In some cases, you may be able to get a claim paid before leaving the vet’s office; other claims may take more time to review.

Lemonade pet insurance cost

Lemonade offers pet insurance starting at $10 per month. The price you pay ultimately depends on your pet’s age and breed, the plan you choose, your location and other factors. Dogs are generally more expensive to insure than cats.

Adjusting your annual deductible, coinsurance and annual limit can lower your premium. Keep in mind, though, that you'll pay more out of pocket for vet bills if you opt for less coverage. Lemonade’s annual deductible options are $100, $250 and $500, its coinsurance options are 70%, 80% and 90%, and its annual limits are between $5,000 and $100,000.

Lemonade pet insurance FAQ

Does Lemonade pet insurance have online quotes?
Yes, Lemonade offers free online quotes using basic information about your pet.
Lemonade pet insurance covers costs for diagnostics (e.g., blood tests, X-rays, ultrasounds), procedures and medication for cats and dogs with injuries and illnesses. Its optional Preventative Package covers live medical chat, bloodwork and vaccines, and its Preventative+ Package pays for medication to prevent fleas, ticks and heartworms and routine dental cleaning. You can also get add-on coverage for vet visit fees and physical therapy. A preventive care package for puppies and kittens is available as well.
Yes, Lemonade offers a 10% bundling discount if you combine pet insurance with home or renters insurance. It also offers a 5% discount if you cover multiple pets and a 5% discount for paying annually instead of monthly.
Lemonade’s pet insurance is available in 35 states and Washington, D.C. Pet parents can buy a policy in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.

Is Lemonade pet insurance good?

Lemonade pet insurance doesn’t cover accidents or illnesses that occur during the waiting periods, dental illness, preexisting conditions or spaying and neutering for pets over 2, but this is standard for pet insurance companies. The company makes it easy to sign up for coverage and get fast reimbursement after claims. It’s a smart choice for cat or dog parents looking to shield themselves from unexpected and costly vet bills. As with any insurance policy, be sure to read the fine print carefully so you know exactly what’s covered.

Lemonade Pet Insurance Reviews

Original review: May 13, 2021

When I got Ludo at 8 weeks 1 day in December I had already reached out to Lemonade for insurance. They were very timely and thorough with their responses. They sent me info on exactly what kind of physical they needed. All went very smoothly and I was happy. We are retired and long time dog owners. I know it only takes one accident or sickness to cost thousands. Wanting the best for our pup I knew insurance was the most responsible option. We had a one year old pound puppy that came with one month’s insurance- we kept that but I decided to put Ludo on Lemonade. I liked what I read, and it’s true!

Our first pup tested positive for Lyme. It took months before her insurance finally got things straight and paid their part for her medications. It was a huge headache. The difference Ludo suddenly became lame and in pain March 24, 2001. He needed meds and X-rays- I contacted Lemonade. They immediately “took over”. Assigned me a “special agent”. They paid that bill March 26,2001! It was difference between night and day - I say go with Lemonade. You’ll be so glad you did. I am going to switch my other dog to Lemonade even though any Lyme complications can't be covered as they are pre-existing I still believe it’s a 100% worth it!

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 13, 2021

As a brand new dog owner with a dog that has predisposed stomach problems and dietary sensitivities I knew Teddy (my cockapoo) was going to be a handful. When I was told Teddy will always have a sensitive stomach I knew I needed to get the best coverage for Teddy and have him be seen by the best doctors, ALWAYS. He's been going to his vet and hasn't had any problems, except for the first time he got colitis. I was hit with a $600+ bill! He was given an x-ray, medication, and needed rounds of IV because he was dehydrated. I contacted Lemonade and got reimbursed within DAYS. I kid you not. I submitted the paperwork through the app, was emailed by a kind representative and within days got my reimbursement.

If you want your pet to have good coverage and for a cheap price, please go through Lemonade! You won't regret it, I promise!! Not only are the plans really cheap (I pay $20 a month), but you have real people that you can talk to at the tips of your fingers (through the app). I am really happy I went through lemonade. I had them for my renters insurance and now for my pet.

Original review: May 13, 2021

First, I have never written a review for any kind of insurance plan (health, renters, or even pet insurance!), but Lemonade is also like no other insurance I have ever worked with either in my professional or personal life. When I welcomed Bella into my life, I decided to get health insurance just to be safe. We initially purchased insurance with another provider, but I came across Lemonade on Instagram and immediately fell in love with the company from a marketing perspective. What was even better was when I found out they were a B-Corp!

While it's easy to write about nice interactions when making the monthly premium payments, Lemonade has gone above and beyond. They are by far the most responsive insurance company I have ever worked with. They respond to inquiries on what feels like an immediate basis and make the process of submitting a claim even easier than it is to get Bella to eat! When we decided to welcome a second Maltese into our home, I didn't hesitate and purchased a Lemonade plan for the newest family member (Vincent).

To say I'm pleased with Lemonade is a complete understatement as the personal nature with which their staff interacts with customers makes the whole process painless. It's evident that they truly care about Bella and Vincent. On top of that, the service that allows you to communicate with a veterinary professional via chat is priceless -- it has literally been there to help me navigate some of the uncertain moments of caring for Bella and Vincent.

Original review: May 12, 2021

Lemonade pet insurance really helped me avoid major financial problems once my cat got unexpectedly sick. Emergency fees and surgery costs were high and I found out that my cat should get the procedure immediately. Everything happened so fast and I found myself using up my savings/credit card to pay the upfront costs. Fortunately, I had some peace of mind because I had Lemonade cat insurance. I saved every document the vet clinic provided because I know I had to provide accurate and detailed documentation on the invoice costs and the vet comments.

Overall, the process was very straightforward. I recorded myself describing the incident with as much detail as possible. I listed the line items from the surgery and hospitalization invoice. I provided any additional documents needed. After submitting everything, I got reimbursed 2 weeks later. Keep in mind that depending on how many claims are being made in a season, yours could get finalized sooner or later. Anyways, I am very thankful for Lemonade's cat insurance services and their professional, courtest staff who I have had a great pleasure communicating with.

Original review: May 12, 2021

It really is uncanny to think that Lemonade is, at the end of the day, an insurance company. Everything about my engagement with them feels very un-corporate, and very, very un-insurance-company. We've had to submit a couple claims for our dog, Harper; each time, the response was prompt, personal, funny, thoughtful, comprehensive, and clear. Our questions receive similar response: quick, thorough, and personal. And it just feels like the team actually really cares about making the process easy for us and, more importantly, about our dog's health. I'm so glad that Lemonade expanded into pet insurance (y'all cover our home, too, but fortunately we haven't submitted a claim on that yet), and am truly satisfied with the investment I make in paying for Harper's insurance each month. The customer service alone is remarkable, let alone the easy-to-use app and generous and very timely reimbursements. Awesome product, awesome team!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I recently joined Lemonade Insurance due to the rave published reviews and ratings. Although I don’t know anybody personally that has this insurance, I took a leap of faith that the advertising is accurate and not a mere scam. Unfortunately my pup; teddy got sick with a multitude of issues. Lemonade somehow found a way to deny the initial claim stating “all” the symptoms were experienced before my pup's waiting period. This was despite detailed documentation from an emergency room stating otherwise. The second claim was ignored completely despite detailed medical records and diagnostic data sent to them several times. My inquiries and concerns left unanswered with complete and utter unapologetic apathy towards my suffering furry family member, my best friend. Everything I read about Lemonade Insurance company was the exact opposite of what I experienced.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

Poor customer service, agent was dismissive, rude and would not answer direct questions. Also, they expect you to jump through hoops to file a simple claim requiring you to upload a video of yourself explaining the claim and submit doctor's notes, etc. Ridiculous! Canceled today prior to first 30 days and they refused to give me a refund of my $43.00 even though I didn’t use their service.

Original review: June 29, 2021

Lemonade's "pre existing conditions" include items that are not considered to be conditions... FYI. My 3 month old puppy had some dermatitis (inflammation of the skin) on his very first doctor's visit, which was soon after we adopted him and got the policy. We were asked to keep an eye on it. Now they're saying they won't cover ANY dermatitis, which is the most generic issue that could have been written, at any point in his life. They also won't cover ANYTHING that causes the dermatitis.... which could range from anything including sun allergies to eczema to shampoo to another dog's saliva, etc. Any time he has inflammation of the skin, we can't be expected to be covered.

I'm talking about a puppy that came out into the world 3 months ago that "has a preexisting condition" my **. DON'T GET LEMONADE, try any other company because it has to be better than this ** excuse of a company. Their main policies are for Renters and Homeowners insurance and they should really stick to that. What they did cover so far happens to be his initial appointments, but every insurance company just about will cover that. Lemonade is 100000% not worth the price and I highly regret putting my puppy in the hands of these clowns for the next 11 months.

Original review: June 19, 2021

I am very happy with Lemonade pet insurance. They usually have fast responses within 24-36 hours and the funds get to my bank within 4-5 days. They are also very caring, when my puppy is sick they always respond with “hope she is feeling better.” The only negative-which is why I gave them 4 stars is that I didn’t realize my accident illness coverage does not cover the vet exam fee. This is my first pet so I didn’t understand how vet fees/insurance works. Overall I am very happy with Lemonade and have recommended them to my friends as well.

Original review: May 29, 2021

I just got a new puppy and did a ton of research on the best Pet Insurance. Lemonade ended up being my choice. I can tell you they have been a pleasure to deal with! I’ve already filed two claims for wellness visits that were covered under the policy I bought. Filing the claim, approval, and reimbursement was absolutely simple! I highly recommend this company.

Original review: May 14, 2021

The folks at Lemonade have been very helpful through the claims process. Ths staff is caring and always asks about my dog and her wellbeing and make the claims process smooth. The claims process is also streamlined with the use of mobile app.

Original review: May 14, 2021

So far, so good. They have been considerate, thorough, accurate, quick and most reasonable in providing the service they are in business to provide. They are also very willing to reconsider their claims in light of new or clarified information you provide them. I like the app now that I know the best way to you use it. No complaints.

Original review: May 13, 2021

I am so glad I found this insurance! They make everything soo easy! I have my rent insurance, both my pets insured and life insurance through them! They always have great customer service! I would 100% recommend giving them a try!

Original review: May 13, 2021

I’ve recently switched to Lemonade this year and both of mine pets had accidents that required medical attention, the claim process was very simple and done through the phone, they were very responsive and followed up, glad that I’m with Lemonade now and gives us a peace of mind with my pets

Original review: May 13, 2021

I use both renters & pet insurance through Lemonade. I have submitted multiple claims through the pet insurance and every time it is easy to submit and quick to get reimbursed. It's so easy to add to my policy and to find out what is and is not covered. I would absolutely recommend Lemonade if it's available to you.

Original review: May 13, 2021

I am a first time owner, so choosing a right pet Insurance for my puppy was very important. I am very pleased with Lemonade. I have had three claims so far and all of them are paid timely. But what really impressed is the communication. Lemonade team has kept me update along the process and always ensured it will be taken care and nothing to worry about. I’m really happy I choose Lemonade for my pet insurance. Thank you Lemonade team!!

Original review: May 13, 2021

Only have used it a couple times with a new Lab puppy and have no complaints. Communication is great when needed, otherwise it’s a algorithm driven app-based service. Takes a little getting used to and you really need to have your vet invoices clear with explanations.

Original review: May 13, 2021

My kitten suddenly was ill and had to be taken to ER. His visit was quite expensive. I filed my claim on a Saturday morning and was immediately informed that my claim was under investigation. I was quite nervous about getting my money, but the adjuster kept me informed and was so kind. My money was in the bank on Tuesday morning. So very pleased with Lemonade!

Original review: May 13, 2021

My fur baby Zeus and I love Lemonade's Pet insurance. Their rates are some of the best. Their customer service is exceptional, and the turnaround time on claim payouts is outstanding! I have recommended them to all of my pet loving friends. Great job Lemonade!

Original review: May 12, 2021

I’ve never had pet insurance before so tried Lemonade and I am so happy I did. My puppy had his well visit, and first shots covered at 80%. Since he’s a puppy I like knowing if he needs to go see his doctor he’s covered. The process to submit receipts is super intuitive too. No brainer for me to have this coverage for my sweet boy.

Original review: May 12, 2021

No one wants to think of something bad happening to their furbaby, but when it does you want to have Lemonade. I was thrilled with how easy it was to file a claim and how quickly I received compensation. I could focus on taking care of my dog not on paying the bill.

Original review: May 12, 2021

Everything else is good but it takes too long to clear the claim. The first 2 times was ok, the claim got cleared very fast. But the third time, it’s been weeks and my claim is still under review. I don’t understand why is it taking so long when I’m paying the premium right in time every month.

Original review: May 12, 2021

I recently submitted 2 reimbursements for our 2 cats. I did not expect such an easy, lighting fast reimbursement process from Lemonade. It was processed live while I submitted through the app and I received reimbursement into my checking account within minutes. The app is very user friendly. I'm very impressed and I strongly recommend Lemonade.

Original review: May 12, 2021

Definitely I am very happy with this insurance. Customer service is amazing, coverage is great. It’s very easy and simple to file a claim. I am definitely recommending this policy to my friends and coworkers.

Original review: May 12, 2021

I had to submit a claim for my 6 month old puppy for emergency surgery - the claim process was so quick and easy and my contact answered questions promptly the same day. Coverage was great and affordable - took the pressure off of us so we could focus on helping our buddy recover! Would highly recommend.

Original review: May 12, 2021

Lemonade Pet Insurance is 100% worth it! My dog got sick and our vet bill was over $1,000.00. My husband and I don’t make a ton of money, so that’s a lot of money to shell out for us. But after a $250 deductible and the 10% we were responsible for, we still got over $700 back from the claim. That’s a hell of a lot better than paying $1000.00 out of pocket. But what made me more impressed, was that the claim process was so easy. The claim specialist was very kind, relatable, knowledgeable and super responsive to my questions (thank you Suzie!). I think the most I waited to receive an email back, was 24 hours. I could’ve called her too, if I had needed to. Thanks for the awesome insurance and amazing employees Lemonade. I’ve already recommended Lemonade to several people!

Original review: May 12, 2021

I submitted a bill for Zoey's checkup and as soon as I completed the process bam I received a deposit in my account. Awesome customer service and easy to understand step by step directions. Couldn't be happier I chose Lemonade as my pet insurance.

Original review: May 12, 2021

I feel very lucky that I chose Lemonade as my insurance company for my puppy Oreo..poor thing got sick on a Saturday night.. They made it easy to get him the treatment he needed without my having to go into debt... Definitely a great insurance company.

Original review: May 12, 2021

Super helpful and quick turnaround. Lemonade have been great even though my dog Benny has been a nightmare when it comes to sicknesses and general gut health. Thanks again to all the staff and people making it easier!

Original review: May 12, 2021

Lemonade is the most affordable pet insurance I've found that still has great coverage. Every claim I've filed has been diligently worked on and with the new update to how claims are filed, they are finished within days of submitting them! I also appreciate how friendly all the people I've been in contact with Lemonade are. All around, a great service and so happy I went with them to cover my pup!

Lemonade Pet Insurance Company Information