4.39/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 2003, AKC Pet Insurance has served as the exclusive pet insurance provider for the American Kennel Club providing affordable, comprehensive pet health insurance to dogs and cats in all 50 states. Our customizable policy options allow you to create a plan that fits your individual needs and budget. Coverages include: accident coverage, illness coverage, coverage for inherited and congenital conditions and wellness

Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 12, 2017

298 AKC Pet Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I registered my dog and I heard about AKC Pet Insurance. I find the insurance very valuable to my pet and I’ve had the policy about a year. The pet insurance was fine. It was a good experience.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I've had AKC Pet Insurance for a little more than a month. In my most recent experience, it was very tedious and time-consuming due to the unnecessary duplication of paperwork and the necessity to physically sign a form every time. It's much more tedious than I expected it to be, to the point where for minor visits, I don't bother with them anymore. Which plainly means that my deductible is taken up more slowly, which undoubtedly was their intent. I'm looking around other providers. I can see why they might want a signature at least once. But otherwise, they should be able to take an electronic one. Because I have to go back to the vet to get validations and fax or mail it back them afterwards. But I could take a picture of the bill and send it to them, and that would seem under most circumstances, the best way to deal with this.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I’ve been an AKC policyholder for two months now for my young dog. I want her protected for life. I’ve had pets before and taking them back and forth to the doctor gets expensive. So, in the long run, it will be well-worth having it. I’ve heard from friends that that’s the better one to choose. Signing up was pretty easy and everything in my experience with them has been positive. They’ve been really friendly too. I will definitely recommend them to anybody.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

I bought some Persians cats and AKC came free for a month. It’s valuable to have pet insurance. I’ve already spent over a thousand dollars on my pets, just by their shots, as well as their wellness checkups. Also, I think it’s as important as having health insurance on your children because they’re pets for your children.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

It is very valuable to have pet insurance because when my first Yorkie, Coco, got ill, I didn’t have insurance on her and then I went through some time of unemployment and I vowed to myself that I would never let money become an object again about getting my dog medical care. That’s the time when I got Ginger (another Yorkie). I got AKC Pet Insurance for Ginger, that died when she was 15 years old, so I’ve had it for a long time. Since AKC is pricier than the other ones, I only had her covered for injury and illness, but you get what you pay for. I was really impressed with one of the AKC operators when Ginger died and I had to call and cancel her policy. The male operator that I talked to let me sob and cry on the phone about Ginger. He told me to call back anytime, ask to speak to him and he’d speak to me directly. Also, I got a sympathy card from AKC which really meant a lot. It touched my heart.

So when I got it for Buttercup, I got her covered for everything. She’s a Morkie, one quarter Maltese, and three-quarters Yorkie. I originally had her covered under another company, which was significantly cheaper than AKC. But then my vet said that this other firm had a slow turnaround. I haven’t utilized them so I cancelled my policy and asked for a refund on my payment. And then I called AKC up and got Buttercup covered.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Pet Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

It’s very valuable for us to have pet insurance. We’ve had AKC Pet Insurance for 11 years with our other dog. We just got another dog and we have AKC with him too. We like AKC’s response time, pricing and customer service. We got to use it last month when our new dog had to have wellness exams and we had to have him neutered. We’ve had no issues doing that. We’re really fond of AKC and I've recommended them a lot.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

It is very valuable to have pet insurance. But due to a bad experience with VIP with another dog back in the 80’s and since our pet was an AKC dog, we decided to go with AKC Pet Insurance. We’ve had it since our pet was 6 months old. Submitting a claim with them was a fine process. I had to fill out the form and submit the bills. Everybody who answers the phone is a very caring and competent person. They are a very nice and understanding company.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

It is very valuable to have a pet insurance because when you adopt or purchase an animal, it's just like buying a car. You don't know if there's anything going on already. So, just like us with our health insurance, we don't know if we have a pre-existing condition, so we go see the doctor. So having a waiting period for this is outrageous, it shouldn’t be there. I’m a policyholder with AKC for 45 days and have already filed a claim with them. I have received a response that they received my claim, but nothing else. But so far, I am satisfied with it.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

AKC Pet Insurance was part of our AKC registration package when we registered our new Lab. There was a trial month involved, he suffered a severe strep infection around his mouth during that month-long trial. The vet bill totaled $112 during that month for two visits and three shots and some pills. Sending the form for a claim was simple. A lady sent me a form to download through e-mail. I filled it out, I took it to the vet, they filled it up and mailed it for me. I have received notice that the claim was received. But I do not know if they’re paying it or not. We would love to have pet insurance but it's pricey. On a fixed income, $30 a month is not just doable for us. But despite that, we would recommend them to a friend.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

My AKC Pet Insurance came with the Rottweiler I got from a breeder. During his first 30 days, he got all of the shots besides the ones that the breeder gave him. It cost $300 and it was all covered. Since then, I renewed the policy and I’ve been with them for 8 months. The policy provides security and it's a good resource in case anything happens but AKC tries and gets out of everything like any other insurance.

My dog got an eye infection and none of that was covered – it was all out of my pocket. But his preventative care is covered. So I might drop my coverage to just preventative care because I don't let him go five feet away from me when he's outside anyway and the only thing that he does when at home is to chew on his toys. What worries me is that whenever he poops outside and I go and take it up, I feel like there are little pieces of plastic from his toys. That's what kind of keeps me on the policy. Also, I don’t like AKC's website because it’s so basic. It’s not up to par on 2017 like I believe it should be if AKC is big in affiliation as they say they are. I still need to call them to change and look at my coverage. Overall, I'm happy I have an AKC pet insurance, but I’m paying $67 a month and that’s a little steep, so I wish I didn't.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

My dog is part of the American Kennel Club and I figured AKC Pet Insurance was reputable because of the Club. I don't think that anyone could just have that name if they weren't filled up to that status. I thought that getting a pet insurance would be preventable maintenance to help with the cost, and it has helped. I had used it to get my dog spayed and it covered 25% of it. Therefore, having a pet insurance is very valuable. So far, I've been with them for six months now. Their claims process is very easy. Basically, a claim is submitted to AKC Pet Insurance and I get a check, so it's great. Overall, my experience with them was fast, easy and reliable.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

When my dog was registered, we got the information about pet insurances. We had problems with our last German Shepherd, so my daughter wanted to look into getting a pet insurance just in case. My breeder sent me a link to AKC Pet Insurance. I did some research and didn’t find anything negative. They have been around for a long time. We’ve been a policy holder for a couple of months now and we got insurance for our other dog too.

Their customer service so far has been wonderful. The rep who I talked to was very nice and helpful. He answered every question I had. I called them back when my daughter had more questions. And then, I called them back a third time because my daughter had more questions. However, I’d really appreciate that they don’t have accents. No disrespect, but I do not understand people’s accents. I have a very hard time when they're from another country.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I have a friend who raises Schipperkes and she suggested that I look through something like a pet insurance for my puppy. I've heard that AKC is probably going to be good, so I'll stick with them. The insurance is a safety net for my puppy and gives me peace of mind. It's valuable and having it is going to be cheaper instead of costing me an arm and a leg.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

We've been showing dogs for 17 years but I've never had insurance on my dogs because of the breeds. When we got a Chinese Shar-Pei, we were told by somebody who is a vet tech that Shar-Peis have a lot of inherited stuff and they got lots of issues. So we said we're going to insure this dog. We've looked at a lot of pet insurance providers and AKC was the only one that covered a lot of the inherited stuff. So we didn't know that our dog had anything at the time, we still don't know, but we thought we'd take the chance with AKC. We got the policy when he was a puppy and we got the free month that they gave.

Back on August 18th, he was showing signs and wasn't opening his one eye. We took him to the vet and he had an ulceration in the eye. It took him a whole month to heal but he's pretty good through the whole thing. He was in the clinic eight times and that was frustrating. At that point, we said we needed to file a claim. So I called AKC and they said they'll give me a length that I needed to print. So I printed the form and the rep told me exactly what to do. It's still unresolved so far and I'm not sure why. But it's awesome that we have the policy for him. So far, so good. I'm assuming I'm getting back almost $900 for that incident. We also just got done spending almost $5,000 for some of the other issues we had. AKC's people were very helpful and we're very happy with their service.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I've had an AKC Pet Insurance policy for two years now and we really like it. My dog is a registered German Shepherd and the owners who sold him to us gave the policy to us. We didn’t know that AKC had put our dog on a prescription drug and they only paid for one of them, which was the first one. When we submitted the refill bills, they sent us a note saying it’s been already filled. We didn’t know that they didn’t cover the continued refill and that that was how that works until we didn’t get reimbursed. But that’s okay with us. Our dog needs it. The reps were friendly and they took care of whatever we call in right away. We're very satisfied. I’ve already recommended AKC to a friend.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I bought a dog and they offered AKC Pet Insurance when I registered it. Normally, I've had real good experiences with them. They were good about letting me know where they were at in the claims process. They were also good in paying and keeping me updated. However, I'm not very happy with this last claim because they denied it. It was for a dog fight and I had to do some research. I need to find out exactly why they didn't cover the charges. They just said that the claim was denied per my policy. They didn't give me a good explanation of why they denied the claim. Also, I don't like that they keep raising the policy. My pet is very valuable. I live in the country and my dogs get sick there a lot so it's very valuable to have insurance on them. I only have one of my dogs insured through AKC and he's eight years old now. So, if I try and switched him over, I wouldn't save any money switching him over to another company.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I wanted to keep my pup covered in case something happened to him. I have the certificate of birth for the pet insurance and then before it ended, I wanted to keep it. So, I called AKC and the person I spoke with was super knowledgeable, gave me a lot of good information and helped me pick the best coverage for my puppy. I figured I’d keep it simple. I’ve been a policyholder since the end of May. Having a pet insurance is pretty good and I definitely recommend AKC to other people.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Hi Catherine,

Thank you very much for the review and for the kind words about our team! Please don’t hesitate to contact us anytime with any questions you may have.

Take care,

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I purchased my pet and registered it with AKC. Then they sent me a form to fill out if I wanted 30 days of free AKC Pet Insurance so I tried it out. Then my six month old puppy had a dislocated hip and the x-rays and the fees amounted to $165. Then they're asking me to buy the insurance. When I asked what my benefit would be under that, the rep told me that with a $100 deductible and some other stuff, I would receive $15 to $20 compensation. And so, I don’t think that’s much of a benefit. If I’m going to be paying $10 a month for insurance which is $120 a year, and then my first claim I send in is going to pay me $15, that is not worth it.

I've had several notifications of the insurance, but I wanted to see what the settlement would be before I'd even consider purchasing. I'm glad I did wait and I'm surely not going to purchase that. I'm going to invest all that time and everything and send in a claim for $150 and get less than 10% back, that is not suitable to me at all. I'm very dissatisfied with that.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Hi Dale,

I’m sorry your dog experienced such a traumatic injury at such a young age. I hope she is feeling better. The 30-Day Certificate is a benefit included with your AKC registration. It is a small policy at no cost to you that gives new puppy owners a little extra assistance in the event of any unexpected mishaps. I’m sorry the reimbursement was not as much as you expected. The $100 deductible only has to be met once per policy period, so in the event your dog needed any additional veterinary care, you would not be subject to the deductible again, resulting in more of a reimbursement.

Our full-term policies offer more options for coverage, limits and deductibles. If you were to enroll in an annual policy you would be able to create a plan that fits your needs. Please feel free to call us with any questions or concerns. Ask for Adam, I’d be more than happy to discuss this with you further.

Regards,

Adam Blodgett
    Customer Service Supervisor

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: July 26, 2017

When I purchased the dogs from the breeder, she registered them with AKC and then, a recommendation coupon came with it. It was the first time I got an AKC dog and for catastrophic situations, it would be good to have. Since that was what AKC put in their materials, I decided to go with it. I’ve been a policyholder with AKC for 12 years. I started with their top tier and then as the dogs got older, I went down a couple of notches because of the cost. But both the dogs are gone now. They ended up being horribly ill for 12 years. Both of them had lots of major issues which cost $4,000 at a pop. PetPartners was fantastic. They walked me through everything and took into consideration my personal issues. They stepped up and helped me out whenever possible. In the latter years, I was so happy with them and so thankful that for the last five years I've been sending them gift baskets at Christmas. You usually don’t hear about that with insurance companies.

I told my primary physician, my friends, anybody and everybody that has dogs who wants to talk about dogs and insurance that “This is the company.” AKC Pet Insurance is always great, they never failed me and made accommodations for me. I had issues of my own then I dropped the ball and they treated me like family. They didn’t treat me like a customer. They paid out like $12,000 to $20,000 over the course of 12 years and hundreds of claims. It was a plethora of issues over and over again. Same song, different verse. One dog went blind, the other dog’s hips went out, two eye injuries over the years and sepsis from the blindness. They were always fast, never gave me any hassles nor questioned anything and no issues at all. When they heard about the dogs, they expressed their condolences in a heartfelt way. No insurance company can do more than these guys did and the experience was better than anything I could have ever imagined.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I knew about AKC Pet Insurance through my English Bulldog breeder and I have been a policyholder since June 7th. I availed them to make sure if my English Bulldog had any problems it would help pay for unknown expenses. This is pretty valuable for me because I am pretty attached to my dog. The people I have talked to were nice. I had taken my dog in because of cherry eye but I still haven't gotten paid for it.

Original review: July 8, 2017

The puppy I bought was a registered AKC golden retriever and I bought the AKC Pet Insurance because of its price. I've had pet plans, insurance on my horse, a pet insurance for my other golden retriever, which I pay $1,400 a year, and compared to these, AKC Pet Insurance is significantly priced lower. They're probably the cheapest on the market. I haven't had problems with them. They are responsive and are timely in reimbursements. I can always talk to somebody on the phone and they do not give me a runaround. I also enjoy the newsletters, which are good.

When my puppy had major surgery, I called them on the phone and they were helpful and were able to answer all of my questions. They give you an explanation of what they're paying for and what they're not. I would recommend them and I'll renew with them. However, sometimes they are inconsistent. The first claim that went in, they sent me an email saying they processed it. My last two claims, there was no correspondence. But things still fell through the cracks.

Original review: July 6, 2017

We’ve always had German Shepherds and always registered them through AKC, and I figured that they have good insurance. Having pet insurance is a necessity now and especially since German Shepherds can have hip dysplasia and degenerative myelopathy, and I wanted something in place in case that happens. I haven't used the insurance yet but everything’s been fine so far.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I registered my full-bred Lab and got him checked, then I was sent something that said "Free trial. This is what would be covered." I got a free trial run from AKC Pet Insurance and they were wonderful. When I called, I didn't sit for 10 minutes trying to push buttons. I talked to people and they're really friendly, nice and tried to walk me through everything. It was really easy and I appreciated it because my computer’s down. Where I could sign up, I couldn’t get on the link, which is the why the gal sent me paperwork to go over. That way, when I go over it with my husband and call back, and they’ll help me get it set up. Everything’s above and beyond. They explained very well when we started about three months ago.

I liked the idea that the insurance covered shots, but I wasn’t sure on what to get for x-rays 'cause my Lab developed something wrong with his leg. The doctor thinks it's because he's growing so fast. When they did the x-ray, they couldn’t see anything. I've had dogs my whole life and I've never had anything major go wrong with any animals. I've never had pet insurance, but because my Lab is full-bred and I paid money for him, I felt like he needed extra care. This is all new to me and I'm glad to get phone calls and emails like when they finally got the stuff from my vet. We're putting it towards the deductible. However, we've been so busy with a lot of stuff going on and it lapsed. Overall, our experience has been excellent. The big thing is being able to talk to people right away 'cause you don't find that very often anymore.

Original review: July 1, 2017

Every other policy only covered an injury or an incident but didn’t include the checkups. But, AKC Pet Insurance had both accident and wellness coverage so we signed up with them when I had gotten a new puppy. Having a pet insurance is the most valuable. Every time I call, which has only been twice, the people were very knowledgeable and I like that. They also make you feel comfortable and they work with you. It has been pleasant, easy, and quick.

Original review: June 29, 2017

We’ve been a policyholder of AKC Pet Insurance for 14 years. This is the insurance we have for our dog so we just kept it rolling forward. Prior to that dog, we had another one that was ill and we ran into huge medical bills over the cost of his life. AKC's deductible is reasonable and I’m happy with it.

Original review: June 28, 2017

Pet insurance is a very nice thing to have in general. It's not imperative that I would have it but it certainly is a nice cushion to fall back on if they have something major that is going to be very costly. I have a golden retriever for 14 years who had many times visited the vet and it was costly. So, I decided that this time I'm going to get pet insurance. AKC Pet Insurance was the easiest one when it came up. There's pet insurance that is provided by my employer but I couldn't pick it up until next October. So being able to do it through AKC right away and get it right in place was very convenient. The set up process was fine and thus far, I've been very pleased with AKC.

Original review: June 22, 2017

We have had a Bichon and we've heard that they're known for having certain kind of issues and so we didn’t wanna take any chances. We wanted to make sure we had insurance for the dog in case something happened. I saw AKC Pet Insurance online and it was reasonably priced for what I could get and what it covered. And so, I signed up for it. We've had it for a few years now and had opportunities to make some claims and there had been no issues with the claims. Filing was very easy, all we had to do is fax it in. They’ve paid promptly and fairly. So, I am satisfied with it.

Original review: June 17, 2017

I signed up with AKC Pet Insurance's free 30-day trial. I wanted to be on the safe side just in case an accident happens. Friends have had dogs that have gotten out on the road and have gotten ran over which happened with my pup on April 1st of 2017. She was at a friend’s house and got out on the road and got ran over. The injuries that she sustained caused her death. It was awful.

Setting up with them and getting started wasn't difficult at all. When I sent in the claim, I sent it to the wrong address and I hadn’t heard anything. I inquired whether they had received it or not and that’s when I realized that I had sent it to the wrong address. I had to submit it to the right address and I heard back from them. I discovered that even on a 30-day free trial, it doesn’t cover anything. It doesn’t cover emergency vets and cremation but it covered the X-ray. The customer service that I received to set it up and file the claim was excellent. I just wasn’t very pleased with the coverage.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I was registering my poodle when I received him as a puppy. I wanted to get his lineage and that’s how I found out about AKC Pet Insurance. I used to work in the disability insurance industry so I know the advantages of having coverage. It is very valuable because if he gets sick or have surgery, it will cost me thousands of dollars. The coverage would save me a great deal of money. I had temporary insurance so I was looking into applying for a more permanent policy for my pet. I called because I had a couple of questions regarding the coverage and the response was immediate, very helpful, very knowledgeable and very friendly. I was impressed with their customer service and decided that AKC Pet Insurance is the company I want to go with.

However, I was so surprised that the main coverage that I was trying to apply for wasn’t available in the State of Washington. I wasn't able to get the wellness coverage for him that would cover when he gets neutered. That's the only thing I complained. Another thing that I noticed is that there's an awfully long list of things that aren't covered. So, if he hurts one leg, the other leg is not covered because it's considered preexisting. That would be a negative thing because dogs have four legs. It's like I'm stuck to pay for the other three legs.

Original review: June 4, 2017

When I got my dog and took him to the vet the first time I had a $1500 bill which was expensive so I googled online and AKC Pet Insurance was more reasonably priced than the other pet insurance. It's very valuable. I've been with them for almost two years and so far, they were fair. But recently, I went up there to get his pills for flea, tick and heartworm and I don't know if it was not his time to get it but they paid $3 towards the pills, where I thought it would be paid off cause I have the extra plan for wellness. Other than that, they respond quickly and reimburse very fast. They have all different plans in all different places so it depends on what you get. They're very fast, accurate and efficient.

AKC Pet Insurance Company Information