Call toll free
3.99/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 2003, AKC Pet Insurance has served as the exclusive pet insurance provider for the American Kennel Club through their incorporated name, PetPartners. AKC Pet Insurance provides affordable, comprehensive pet health insurance to dogs and cats of all ages and breeds in all 50 states. Our customizable policy options allow you to create a plan that fits your individual needs and budget. Coverages include: accidents, illnesses, alternative and behavioral treatments, inherited and congenital conditions, exam fees, final respects fees and two levels of a wellness schedule of benefits.

AKC Pet Insurance Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

My vet had handed me the thing on AKC and it seemed like a reasonable deal to do it that way, and he’d given me something on it. They had a 30-day introductory deal on it, so it seemed like it was easy enough to say yes to and then do it later on. We had one claim about four months ago for some kind of a stomach issue and ran up a pretty hefty bill, and they handled it for us. I thought they were fair. The way they explained it was clear.

I'm kind of bad customer for insurance ‘cause I usually feel like I'm willing to cover the risk myself, but the vet had said, “Why don’t you just get it and try it for a year or two and see if you like it over." It was some kind of a period of time. Obviously, whatever insurance you get if you don’t use it for the first year, it’s easy to say that was a waste of money. I shouldn’t have it. You can always talk yourself out of it, if you don’t need it. If you do need, it’s like, “Oh, we got smart to get it.” So, it depends on that regard. But the people in customer service were certainly nice enough. They got a snafu with the policy number change on something and somebody looked at it, was very reasonable, got right back to me and fixed it. So, the problem was handled.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 30, 2019

We got a purebred Bichon and we registered her with the AKC and then we got some information on the pet insurance. We went with AKC because it was convenient. They gave us one month of free pet insurance as well. The free month was up, so I extended it. Our experience with them was good. They’re very helpful. During that month, I had to submit a claim. Our Bichon has ear infections. She was scratching a lot and if we touched her ears, it was painful. We got the dog from a breeder when she was seven months old. Bichons grow hair in their ear and the breeder never cleaned that out. So, over time, after we got her, it became very infected, which we didn’t realize.

I had to take the dog for a follow-up with my vet. Then the vet explained the shape of the ear canal which is why the groomer didn’t see the hair that was impacted in a different area of the ear canal. She could only see what was on the outside of the ear, and it was deep inside. And my vet said that probably occurred way back when the dog was still with the breeder. The claim was put in and I haven't heard back from AKC. They needed all the paperwork which I’ve just sent in this week. So, they’re reviewing it, but they’ve been on top of everything. They were very helpful in customizing the type of insurance I needed, and adding on and taking out what I didn’t want.

Original review: July 9, 2019

In signing up with AKC, I got the first 30 days free. I actually had an event during that period and submitted a claim. My thinking was if they responded to the claim and took care of it, I’d go ahead and continue the insurance, and if they didn’t, then they were not worth my time and I was not gonna do it. They responded and took care of the event even though it was like a free period, and I signed up with them.

They were fairly easy to get in contact with every single time I tried to call them. The original payment they were sending me on the event I had with the puppy didn't get to me for whatever reason. I called them and they direct deposited the next day. It was easy. Even though there seems to be a mistake, they made up for it really quickly. So far, it zeroes out, which is all I can really hope for. My theory is, say, the dog was 10 years. There's probably gonna be a lot more payout on their part in the last few and a lot more pay-in on my part for the first year just because of age. So over the whole time, if it ends up being flat, I’d be happy.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Hi Justin,

Thank you for leaving a review! I'm glad we were able to help you while on your 30-day policy. I'm so glad you decided to continue your coverage with us. I'm sorry that you ran into some trouble with your claim reimbursement but I'm glad we were able to remedy the issue quickly! Please let us know if there is ever anything we can do for you!

Best,

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: July 3, 2019

I’m not particularly impressed with AKC right now. I have 3 very sick puppies from a litter and I’ve had a problem with the former breeder. When I called for their assistance, I was walked through with another process I knew nothing about and got no letters saying my puppies are now mine. They refused to register them that they’re now mine and if I ever do that again, they’re gonna sanction me.

I wasn’t the one that did all the registration. It was AKC's people that walked me through it and they were too busy to talk me. The rep said, “I got other calls, I can’t talk to you,” and quickly hung up on me. I’m not very impressed with them and their standards of care. For 1 of the 3 puppies, they told me it’s not gonna make the first birthday. The other 1, I’ve already spent over $10,000 in vet bills for surgeries, and the other 1, we don’t know what the status of his heart is. He needs a 2nd or 3rd eye surgery, but there are no remedies for that. They said, “Unless you’re a charitable organization or anything, we don’t do anything.” I was basically on my own so a way is to euthanize them and not be bothered with the expense or do them and try everything to help the puppies stay better at my cost with no assistance from AKC. But they didn’t have any problems charging me for everything up to a zoo.

AKC Pet Insurance has been helpful, but unfortunately, my problem was that I didn’t realize that these puppies were very sick and I got that as a safe gap in the meantime. Puppies are puppies. They’re like little kids. They can get sick really fast, and they can get hurt so I got the insurance. I had a protection in case something happens with them all. I found them there at Forever Homes. They have pre-existing conditions and no insurance will take them. AKC was helpful in that regard except now that I’ve maxed out on everything because it’s a one-time lifetime thing, which if I had realized that there are gonna be problems, I would have gotten a full insurance policy for them. They have extensive illnesses and they’ve now capped, so it’s a restricted policy. That’s the problem and there are no options to change that.

Now, it doesn’t matter what insurance policy I get for them. All this stuff will not be covered ‘cause it’s pre-existing. It’s genetic. So, other things in the future, if something else happens to them for whatever reason that’s not directly related to what their birth issues were, that would be covered.

Original review: June 11, 2019

On a previous dog, we had VPI, Veterinary Pet Insurance. We got a puppy two years ago and since I wasn’t happy with VPI’s coverage, I looked online and I asked for a recommendation. I got one from AKC and I have been with them for about a year and a half. I've used the policy a couple of times for stuff that my dog has had and they have been helpful. Their process is also easy.

Something’s always going to happen and when a pet gets ear infection or all the way up to things that are more catastrophic, the pet insurance policy helps offset some of the cost of the vet visit. You can get covered all the way up to wellness checks for the dog, but you can pick which level you wanna have for insurance. So, it helps with peace of mind. If something would happen, you have some coverage. Just make sure to read what different levels you have or options for pet coverage. I was confused at first and I thought our dog was covered for a little more than what he was from the prescription, but I didn’t read the plan well enough. So, when I called AKC, they were able to explain the differences in the policy types.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Libby,

Thank you for the review! I'm glad we have been able to help you with your dog's medical care and that we were able to answer your questions about your policy. We are always hear to help. Please let us know if you ever have any questions or can assist you in anyway!

Best,

AKC Pet Insurance

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Pet Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

If I could leave 0 stars, I would. Our 1 year old pup has had to have 2 total hip replacement surgeries and now a knee surgery all by a phenomenal specialist from Blue Pearl (5 stars for them). AKC did not and will not cover any of those ($20,000 when it's all said and done) even though we have the premium package and our fur babies are AKC Good Citizen Certified. They lead you on into thinking you are fully covered but then fill you in on a 30-180 day waiting period, hidden fees, etc. After the poor customer service displayed by the AKC staff, we ended up canceling our coverage and they offered a $50 reimbursement which yes was appreciated, but at the end of the day, not enough. We would do any and everything for our dogs but unfortunately I can't say the same about AKC. Save your money and find a different pet insurance company. Just sad.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Having an insurance for my pet is valuable. I used to have AKC and I enjoyed them when I used them. I already canceled them, but they were very helpful.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

I've known about AKC for years. My experience with them has been great. I had gotten like a free 30-day and it had lapsed and thankfully, I was still in the grace period. I didn't realize that, but my mom had died and other things had been on my mind. AKC was very kind and let me go ahead and get my policy backdated with no lapse. I was impressed with the understanding and support.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I like my experience with AKC Pet Insurance. I called them to find out about the insurance and what to do. They were always polite, very nice, helpful, and understood what I was looking for. We have the wellness because my dog has a lot of issues. He had a torn ACL, which was 3,500 and I got 2,000 back. They cover a lot of the shots.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Everything’s been going good with AKC so far. I’m a little disappointed in part because of the reimbursements that I’ve been receiving. I have a top-of-the-notch insurance. I can’t pay any more. I have five pets, and I just don’t seem to be getting reimbursed like I used to when I had two Australian Shepherds. Now, I have three little Shelties and I’m not really pleased. I had been investigating other insurance companies. Sometimes I’ll submit a claim for maybe $500, and I might get like a $120 back. It’s not worth my while to have the insurance if that’s how my rates are going to be when I reimburse.

I’ve been with AKC over 15 years. Initially, when it didn't seem like I was getting enough reimbursement back, I called them about three years ago. I said, “Okay, I’m gonna get the top-of-the-notch insurance so I can get more money back with my claim.” But it seems to be like it’s less than more and I’m paying so much more. I pay about $498 for my five pets, and it’s not worth my while. I don’t get anywhere near that back because I don’t file that many claims to begin with. I had a vet bill just recently with my one Sheltie that’s only six years old. I had the teeth cleaned and out of about $500, I just got something like $150 back. I’m thinking, “What's the use?” I'll just save that $500 a month, and when something goes wrong, I'll have that money to pay for the vet bill. So, I’m disappointed in the amount of reimbursements.

When I had my Australian Shepherds and I would have their teeth cleaned, it seemed like I was getting at least maybe $400 back out of the teeth cleaning. Now, it’s just considerably less and it’s not right for me anymore. I’m paying more money. I wanna keep my pets covered. I’ve a vet-mentality that I definitely want them covered, but I’m getting tired of paying close to $6,000 a year and getting 1,000 back.

I know a lot of people go with AKC, and this is one of the reasons I did. They have show dogs and they want the best of care for them. When I had my Australian Shepherds, I felt the same way. I did get very good reimbursements at the time. But then, they fooled around and changed the policies and changed the reimbursements. And to me, they screwed it up and made it worse than before. They probably weren’t making enough money from people. I will explore other insurance companies. I have four I’m reviewing now. I would rather stay with AKC, but I refuse to pay the dollar amount I’ve paid them.

AKC Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

AKC Pet insurance was founded in 2003 by John Spurling, who first offered pet insurance to the Kennel Club of Great Britain in the 1980s. The company's headquarters are now located in Seattle, Washington.

• Flea, tick and heartworm prevention covered: AKC Pet Insurance pays all fees for flea, tick and heartworm prevention for dogs covered by their policies.

• Multi-pet discounts: People that insurance more than one pet with AKC get a 5 percent discount on each additional pet.

• Wide coverage: AKC covers treatment from any veterinarian, which means pet owners can take their pets to the vet of their choice.

• No age exclusions: AKC will cover dog owners of any age, and they will not refuse insurance to dogs due to advanced age.

• Long filing allowance: The company allows people 180 days to file their insurance claims. This ensures that people who do not have the time to file claims right away can still receive benefits for their pet.

• Best for: Dog owners with older dogs, dog owners with multiple dogs, and dog owners who are loyal to their current vet.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky