Consumer Reviews and Complaints

We got AKC 8 years ago and everything I've ever experienced with them has been incredibly positive. I think if someone can afford pet insurance, they should have it, and I think AKC is one of the better ones. In fact, I have recommended it over and over again. However, AKC should educate the veterinarians about them because they're the ones people like me go to if we have questions on which pet insurance companies they like working with, and the people at the vets' offices know nothing.

I wanted to keep my pup covered in case something happened to him. I have the certificate of birth for the pet insurance and then before it ended, I wanted to keep it. So, I called AKC and the person I spoke with was super knowledgeable, gave me a lot of good information and helped me pick the best coverage for my puppy. I figured I’d keep it simple. I’ve been a policyholder since the end of May. Having a pet insurance is pretty good and I definitely recommend AKC to other people.

I purchased my pet and registered it with AKC. Then they sent me a form to fill out if I wanted 30 days of free AKC Pet Insurance so I tried it out. Then my six month old puppy had a dislocated hip and the x-rays and the fees amounted to $165. Then they're asking me to buy the insurance. When I asked what my benefit would be under that, the rep told me that with a $100 deductible and some other stuff, I would receive $15 to $20 compensation. And so, I don’t think that’s much of a benefit. If I’m going to be paying $10 a month for insurance which is $120 a year, and then my first claim I send in is going to pay me $15, that is not worth it.

I've had several notifications of the insurance, but I wanted to see what the settlement would be before I'd even consider purchasing. I'm glad I did wait and I'm surely not going to purchase that. I'm going to invest all that time and everything and send in a claim for $150 and get less than 10% back, that is not suitable to me at all. I'm very dissatisfied with that.

When I purchased the dogs from the breeder, she registered them with AKC and then, a recommendation coupon came with it. It was the first time I got an AKC dog and for catastrophic situations, it would be good to have. Since that was what AKC put in their materials, I decided to go with it. I’ve been a policyholder with AKC for 12 years. I started with their top tier and then as the dogs got older, I went down a couple of notches because of the cost. But both the dogs are gone now. They ended up being horribly ill for 12 years. Both of them had lots of major issues which cost $4,000 at a pop. PetPartners was fantastic. They walked me through everything and took into consideration my personal issues. They stepped up and helped me out whenever possible. In the latter years, I was so happy with them and so thankful that for the last five years I've been sending them gift baskets at Christmas. You usually don’t hear about that with insurance companies.

I told my primary physician, my friends, anybody and everybody that has dogs who wants to talk about dogs and insurance that “This is the company.” AKC Pet Insurance is always great, they never failed me and made accommodations for me. I had issues of my own then I dropped the ball and they treated me like family. They didn’t treat me like a customer. They paid out like $12,000 to $20,000 over the course of 12 years and hundreds of claims. It was a plethora of issues over and over again. Same song, different verse. One dog went blind, the other dog’s hips went out, two eye injuries over the years and sepsis from the blindness. They were always fast, never gave me any hassles nor questioned anything and no issues at all. When they heard about the dogs, they expressed their condolences in a heartfelt way. No insurance company can do more than these guys did and the experience was better than anything I could have ever imagined.

I knew about AKC Pet Insurance through my English Bulldog breeder and I have been a policyholder since June 7th. I availed them to make sure if my English Bulldog had any problems it would help pay for unknown expenses. This is pretty valuable for me because I am pretty attached to my dog. The people I have talked to were nice. I had taken my dog in because of cherry eye but I still haven't gotten paid for it.

The puppy I bought was a registered AKC golden retriever and I bought the AKC Pet Insurance because of its price. I've had pet plans, insurance on my horse, a pet insurance for my other golden retriever, which I pay $1,400 a year, and compared to these, AKC Pet Insurance is significantly priced lower. They're probably the cheapest on the market. I haven't had problems with them. They are responsive and are timely in reimbursements. I can always talk to somebody on the phone and they do not give me a runaround. I also enjoy the newsletters, which are good.

When my puppy had major surgery, I called them on the phone and they were helpful and were able to answer all of my questions. They give you an explanation of what they're paying for and what they're not. I would recommend them and I'll renew with them. However, sometimes they are inconsistent. The first claim that went in, they sent me an email saying they processed it. My last two claims, there was no correspondence. But things still fell through the cracks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Pet Insurance?

We’ve always had German Shepherds and always registered them through AKC, and I figured that they have good insurance. Having pet insurance is a necessity now and especially since German Shepherds can have hip dysplasia and degenerative myelopathy, and I wanted something in place in case that happens. I haven't used the insurance yet but everything’s been fine so far.

I registered my full-bred Lab and got him checked, then I was sent something that said "Free trial. This is what would be covered." I got a free trial run from AKC Pet Insurance and they were wonderful. When I called, I didn't sit for 10 minutes trying to push buttons. I talked to people and they're really friendly, nice and tried to walk me through everything. It was really easy and I appreciated it because my computer’s down. Where I could sign up, I couldn’t get on the link, which is the why the gal sent me paperwork to go over. That way, when I go over it with my husband and call back, and they’ll help me get it set up. Everything’s above and beyond. They explained very well when we started about three months ago.

I liked the idea that the insurance covered shots, but I wasn’t sure on what to get for x-rays 'cause my Lab developed something wrong with his leg. The doctor thinks it's because he's growing so fast. When they did the x-ray, they couldn’t see anything. I've had dogs my whole life and I've never had anything major go wrong with any animals. I've never had pet insurance, but because my Lab is full-bred and I paid money for him, I felt like he needed extra care. This is all new to me and I'm glad to get phone calls and emails like when they finally got the stuff from my vet. We're putting it towards the deductible. However, we've been so busy with a lot of stuff going on and it lapsed. Overall, our experience has been excellent. The big thing is being able to talk to people right away 'cause you don't find that very often anymore.

Every other policy only covered an injury or an incident but didn’t include the checkups. But, AKC Pet Insurance had both accident and wellness coverage so we signed up with them when I had gotten a new puppy. Having a pet insurance is the most valuable. Every time I call, which has only been twice, the people were very knowledgeable and I like that. They also make you feel comfortable and they work with you. It has been pleasant, easy, and quick.

We’ve been a policyholder of AKC Pet Insurance for 14 years. This is the insurance we have for our dog so we just kept it rolling forward. Prior to that dog, we had another one that was ill and we ran into huge medical bills over the cost of his life. AKC's deductible is reasonable and I’m happy with it.

Pet insurance is a very nice thing to have in general. It's not imperative that I would have it but it certainly is a nice cushion to fall back on if they have something major that is going to be very costly. I have a golden retriever for 14 years who had many times visited the vet and it was costly. So, I decided that this time I'm going to get pet insurance. AKC Pet Insurance was the easiest one when it came up. There's pet insurance that is provided by my employer but I couldn't pick it up until next October. So being able to do it through AKC right away and get it right in place was very convenient. The set up process was fine and thus far, I've been very pleased with AKC.

We have had a Bichon and we've heard that they're known for having certain kind of issues and so we didn’t wanna take any chances. We wanted to make sure we had insurance for the dog in case something happened. I saw AKC Pet Insurance online and it was reasonably priced for what I could get and what it covered. And so, I signed up for it. We've had it for a few years now and had opportunities to make some claims and there had been no issues with the claims. Filing was very easy, all we had to do is fax it in. They’ve paid promptly and fairly. So, I am satisfied with it.

I signed up with AKC Pet Insurance's free 30-day trial. I wanted to be on the safe side just in case an accident happens. Friends have had dogs that have gotten out on the road and have gotten ran over which happened with my pup on April 1st of 2017. She was at a friend’s house and got out on the road and got ran over. The injuries that she sustained caused her death. It was awful.

Setting up with them and getting started wasn't difficult at all. When I sent in the claim, I sent it to the wrong address and I hadn’t heard anything. I inquired whether they had received it or not and that’s when I realized that I had sent it to the wrong address. I had to submit it to the right address and I heard back from them. I discovered that even on a 30-day free trial, it doesn’t cover anything. It doesn’t cover emergency vets and cremation but it covered the X-ray. The customer service that I received to set it up and file the claim was excellent. I just wasn’t very pleased with the coverage.

I was registering my poodle when I received him as a puppy. I wanted to get his lineage and that’s how I found out about AKC Pet Insurance. I used to work in the disability insurance industry so I know the advantages of having coverage. It is very valuable because if he gets sick or have surgery, it will cost me thousands of dollars. The coverage would save me a great deal of money. I had temporary insurance so I was looking into applying for a more permanent policy for my pet. I called because I had a couple of questions regarding the coverage and the response was immediate, very helpful, very knowledgeable and very friendly. I was impressed with their customer service and decided that AKC Pet Insurance is the company I want to go with.

However, I was so surprised that the main coverage that I was trying to apply for wasn’t available in the State of Washington. I wasn't able to get the wellness coverage for him that would cover when he gets neutered. That's the only thing I complained. Another thing that I noticed is that there's an awfully long list of things that aren't covered. So, if he hurts one leg, the other leg is not covered because it's considered preexisting. That would be a negative thing because dogs have four legs. It's like I'm stuck to pay for the other three legs.

When I got my dog and took him to the vet the first time I had a $1500 bill which was expensive so I googled online and AKC Pet Insurance was more reasonably priced than the other pet insurance. It's very valuable. I've been with them for almost two years and so far, they were fair. But recently, I went up there to get his pills for flea, tick and heartworm and I don't know if it was not his time to get it but they paid $3 towards the pills, where I thought it would be paid off cause I have the extra plan for wellness. Other than that, they respond quickly and reimburse very fast. They have all different plans in all different places so it depends on what you get. They're very fast, accurate and efficient.

Having a pet insurance is very valuable. It's like having an insurance for yourself. I had a seven-year old Rottweiler mix with no health insurance who died of cancer and I had to pay everything out of pocket. I then started with AKC when it was still Pet Healthcare. After several years, I've heard other people getting other types of insurance which were cheaper than mine. But I have more coverage than theirs and I was very happy with the wellness, the medication and the surgery. I have AKC for 12 years now and my dog had several surgeries, illnesses, wellness checkups and she's on thyroid medicine and incontinence. They've been very kind.

However, I'm disappointed that I wasn't aware that I could have had more insurance for each special incident. And sometimes in getting the insurance coverage, one person will say one thing and one would say another. But overall, I've been very satisfied with AKC. When I call them, they've always answered my questions and they've been very good on the phone.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Hi Shaun,

Firstly, I hope your dog is feeling better. I’m sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your customer service and claims experience. Occasionally claim processing time is delayed due to missing information. Once we receive all the necessary documents, our claims team works diligently to get those claims processed as quickly as possible. I’m sorry that information was not relayed to you in a follow up call as stated by our customer service team member. There was a lack of communication on our part and we apologize for that. During that time, your claim was actively being worked on.

We strive for all of our customer interactions to be a positive one so I am sorry that we did not provide you with that. If you have any questions or would like more clarification on anything, please don’t hesitate to call.

Sincerely,

Adam

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: May 12, 2017

Poor customer experience. Submitted claim on 2/14/2017 and claim was finalized on 05/09/2017. Every time I would ask for clarification on what the policy covered, I would not get a straight answer. Disappointing that it had to take this long to be finalized and still have not been received benefits yet. I talked with Amy (customer service rep) and she could not tell me where or when I would receive, just that the EOB would be mailed out with the check. I talked to supervisor Adam on 5/2/2017 and he told me that I would receive a email of the EOB the next day and that did not happen; lack of communication. I would recommend looking at all your options before going with this company.

Several friends of ours have dogs and had problems. We also have a young dog and we want to be sure we were covered. My husband has been a policyholder of AKC Pet Insurance for three months now and it's peace of mind having a pet insurance. It is very valuable.

I am an AKC Pet Insurance policy holder for a few months now. Everything is straightforward dealing with them and they seemed the best insurance in the kennel club.

My puppy was registered to the AKC. There was a 30-day trial of the pet insurance and then I just stuck with it. I've been a policyholder for a year now and so far, my experience with them has been good. However, they make up charges for things like if I go in for X-rays and put a $2 medical disposal fee that doesn’t exist which my hospital doesn’t do. That’s the only thing that they can improve on.

When I originally got my little guy, my Oreo, the pet store set up everything and they gave us all the AKC information. I called and we got the pet insurance. We had it for a good year but we didn't use it. So I called a month ago and asked to lower the payments a little bit. I spoke to Rose and she was such a sweetheart. She was able to lower the payments for us. In my experience, AKC has been reliable, friendly, understanding, and accommodating. The customer service has been really nice.

I've been with AKC for five years now and I have two dogs with them. The insurance gives me peace of mind, and I have confidence in the AKC brand. I'd recommend them.

Hi Erin,

We hope that your little girl has made a full recovery from her fractured tooth. You're correct, in that our policies exclude medical intervention to puppy, or non-permanent, teeth even if medically necessary. According to the Terms and Conditions of your policy, we will cover "medically necessary extractions for permanent broken teeth due to an accident." We apologize if you had any misunderstanding about your coverage. It appears that you chose to receive your policy documents via email and you would have have received them, including your Terms and Conditions, shortly after enrolling.

Additionally, we are sorry that we are not able to personally call each of our policyholders regarding their claims. We would love to be able to provide that service, but it is not possible with the number of claims we process. If you have any questions or need more clarification, we would be more than happy to talk to you. Please don't hesitate to call and ask for the Customer Service Supervisor. Again, we hope that your puppy is back to feeling 100%.

Regards,

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: April 3, 2017

My puppy had a fractured abscessed tooth that was medically required to be removed. I submitted a claim with AKC Pet Insurance but apparently, the insurance won't pay for anything but adult teeth and not puppy teeth. They denied my claim even though it's a medically necessary procedure. They didn't even call me. They just sent an email that said, “It's denied and here is why.” They made some reference and it says, "Only adult K-9 teeth will be covered." So, I'm not very happy that I just prepaid for the entire year.

I bought the dog in December and it came with 30 days of insurance. Before it lapsed, I talked with the AKC Pet Insurance people and they explained the programs they had and I made a decision then. Since I never had pet insurance, I was a novice. I didn't understand how it worked and it's difficult because I never did this before. But the young lady explained all of the different programs based on pricing, what it covered, what my deductible would be, and then I chose that fitted my needs. I took it out this time 'cause I paid all money for this dog to make sure that as it grows up it doesn't develop any problems that I can't afford to pay for. The person on the phone helped me put it into terms I could understand so that's what made it easy.

I made a phone call to AKC Pet Insurance to make sure what my coverage was, and the rep I spoke to was very nice. I've always had pet insurance before and it's extremely valuable to have.

We have had a Shepherd many years before and never had insurance for that dog. Pets can have problems and they can be very expensive if there are serious problems so I would rather pay for pet insurance and make sure that our boys were covered and taken care of. AKC was the only one that was recommended so we went with them. Our old veterinarian was farther than the new veterinarian and there are several people on the street where I live that use the new veterinarian, so we changed. When the dogs had to be re-evaluated for the new vet, they immediately just sent off what they did to the insurance company and we were reimbursed for what was covered immediately.

I’m very happy to have the insurance and we were compensated very quickly after we had a problem or went to the vet. There have been some changes in the coverage and we don’t get compensated as much as before because there is a cut-off time. But I really find that it’s very valuable to have the AKC insurance. Another thing about AKC was that our dog thoroughbred like horses and I felt that they were a very important one to support and to have them support us. Overall, it was an excellent experience.

The cost of veterinary care is outrageous, so I looked into acquiring a pet insurance. Having a pet insurance is very valuable. I tell people all the time to get it. Whether they use it or not, it’s a great benefit because when our dog gets sick, it comes in handy. It gives peace of mind. Years ago, I’ve done a research, and AKC was really beautiful and it's the only one available. I trusted AKC so I went with their insurance on two of my Golden Retrievers at that time in the early 90’s.

Right now, I’ve got only one of my Goldens on AKC Pet Insurance. I have my other on another insurance program because I wanted to see the difference. I really love AKC Pet Insurance but I have some complaints. The last few times, it took them anywhere from two to three months to pay my claims. I can’t leave the AKC Pet Insurance because my dog has conditions that won’t allow him to pick up insurance anywhere else. I love that AKC pays better, but I’m really upset with how long they’re taking to pay and I don’t understand why the vet has to sign all the claim forms if there are the receipts that go in with it. It’s the only company I know of that require that.

My dog is AKC-registered. I set up an insurance policy and the insurance people were very helpful.

I have a Leonberger puppy which is a huge breed of dog. My breeder gave me all the information and she suggested AKC. It was very easy to sign up for and it didn't take very long. I also had a lot of options on what I could do and the price was fair. I only called them to find out how I download the claim form and the gal answered back for me. So, I went online then they emailed me back the contract. I went ahead and printed it and put in the name of my dog. I've submitted a claim and it wasn't submitted right so my vet resubmitted it. What's really nice is that my vet sent the claim form in. So if I have to make any other claims, they have it already there at the vet. But, I haven't heard anything back from them.

My daughter-in-law found AKC Pet Insurance on the internet and we got it for our dog that was in training. She’s a breeder dog in the family of a German Shepherd that was used for sniffing out drugs. Signing up with AKC was easy and my daughter-in-law handled everything for us. The people over there were very nice too when I spoke with them. However, the dog was too rough on us so we sold it to a lady and her husband who trained and bred dogs.

Having a pet insurance is extremely valuable like any other insurance. AKC Pet Insurance's pricing was comparable to other insurance providers and it was easy to use their website. I usually send the receipt to them and the person at the vet was trying to be helpful. But they sent the wrong receipt, so I had to call Pet Partners and I got very good customer service on the phone. So far, everything has been as advertised.

AKC Pet Insurance Company Profile