Call toll free
4.54/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 2003, AKC Pet Insurance has served as the exclusive pet insurance provider for the American Kennel Club through their incorporated name, PetPartners. AKC Pet Insurance provides affordable, comprehensive pet health insurance to dogs and cats of all ages and breeds in all 50 states. Our customizable policy options allow you to create a plan that fits your individual needs and budget. Coverages include: accidents, illnesses, alternative and behavioral treatments, inherited and congenital conditions, exam fees, final respects fees and two levels of a wellness schedule of benefits.

408 AKC Pet Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

We've had the 30-day pre-insurance plan with AKC but we're not planning on keeping it because of the price. Still, it's very valuable. Plus all of our experiences with AKC have been great. We have new Boxer puppies and they are registered so they helped us through the process. They helped us understand how to register all of the necessary information should either or both of them get lost or stolen.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I have a Golden Retriever that is nine months old and you never know what you’re getting into especially with this dog. AKC Pet Insurance came through after we put our dog's name in and then they sent us a bunch of stuff. When I signed up, I talked one on one with a really nice fellow. They're a great organization and I appreciate everything they’ve been doing. They are very informative and want people to understand the nature of dogs. We get emails about bringing your dog to socialize at a certain places, and they have festivals on weekends too.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

When I registered my puppy with AKC, they automatically asked me if I wanted to get started with the pet insurance and gave me the free 30-day trial. I got the wellness and sickness plan for my dog and when he got his shots, I went for the wellness check and got heartworm and flea and tick medicine. I emailed AKC Pet Insurance the scans of my receipts from the veterinarian's office as well as the form and five days later, they sent me a check for the amount. It was really good, fast and easy. I like AKC Pet Insurance and I see high value in it. It's a good precaution.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

AKC Pet Insurance was part of the package when I registered my 16-month old white Standard Poodle dog with AKC. It was just a trial basis. He did get sick and I’m still waiting for a claim. I filed a claim three weeks ago and have heard nothing, just that it was received. I have not had any positive experience with AKC so far. I don’t think I would use them again because they are not efficient or there’s no communication.

Hi Anita,

I’m sorry you didn’t receive the claim notification and Explanation of Benefits. I looked into your policy and it looks like you opted for email communication. We sent your Claim Acknowledgement via email less than a week after we received it. We can look into why you did not receive that but in the meantime, I have reissued your Explanation of Benefits. We are more than happy to speak with you over the phone to further discuss the issue and answer any other questions you may have. We can also change your communication method to postal mail if you prefer. Please feel free to give us a call and ask for Jasmin or Adam. And again, our apologies for the inconvenience!

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

My dog is registered with AKC Pet Insurance and I rate them high.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Pet Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I dropped by the clinic because my German Shepherd, Cena, was coughing too much. I got an insurance but the problem was the $1,000 per incident. I heard AKC Pet Insurance with the AKC people. I said, “Let me try them.” Their rep told me that it’s $250 out of pocket and that’s what I started with. They told me I'd get the papers as soon as I do the first payment, which I did. However, I haven't received the papers yet. AKC gave me the number of that insurance. I called them and then I called today and they told me that I should call at 10:00 Eastern time. I did but nobody answered the phone. So far, that’s what I’m waiting for, but I haven't used it yet.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

When I registered my dog with the AKC, a 30-day certificate came with it. During that 30 days, I had to file a claim and the experience was fantastic, so I stayed with them. I wanted a policy so that if anything happens with my dog, it would help cover my expenses. Having a pet insurance is very valuable especially since my dog tends to get his nose into everything that we see outside. He has picked up a few things that he should not have picked up that I was not able to get away from him. He also had an eye infection when he rolled around in the dirt. So, the insurance has been a really big help for me.

We can go to any vet that we want and not just a network of vets. I pay the cost at the time of service and then I submit the claim to the AKC Pet Insurance. They have an address on the claim form where we can mail it to. It can also be faxed or e-mailed, so it is very convenient. They will then bump the claim up against the policy and make sure what is reimbursable and what is not, and they send the check back. When I filed a claim, the reimbursement came back extremely quick within a week -- at the most, it was two weeks. The customer service was always extremely helpful, very on point and explained everything. They are very thorough and every time I would call them, they took a genuine interest in my puppy. I have recommended them to family and friends.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I got my dog registered with AKC just in case something happens to him. I make my payments and they get the job done.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thank you for the review, Magen. We'd love to talk to you about your coverage to make sure you're completely satisfied with your dog's policy! Give us a call at 866-725-2747 and ask for Adam or Jasmin.

Best

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I registered one of my dogs through AKC. They give a 30-day free medical insurance coverage with the registration trying to get you to buy a policy. I made a claim during that 30-day period. I've never had pet insurance before especially with these many animals. I have five dogs and it has always seemed to be a little too expensive for what you could potentially get. I saw an opportunity to see how pet insurance was gonna work and if it wasn't like an extended warranty insurance you get for your car where the first time you tried the claim, the warranty company found some reason not to cover it. I had 30 days free and then I would have to pay a premium if I wanted to continue my coverage. I found it a little peculiar that nobody contacted me if I was gonna pick the policy up and what it would cost.

My dog, that I had the coverage on, had some cancerous lumps and I've had three of them removed so far. The vet removed one within the 30-day period and while I was waiting to get the stitches out on that one, I found another smaller lump nearby. When I went to have the stitches taken out after two weeks, they took that lump out too. I paid for the vet up front. I've sent AKC an email this morning inquiring again if there had been any decision and what was happening with my two claims. I've been waiting over a month for the first claim and a couple of weeks for the second one. They said that they had them both and they’d get back to me as soon as there was a decision. If this is their method of coverage, then I wouldn’t be interested in buying a policy.

Hi Andy,

Thank you for all of the feedback! We are always looking for ways to improve and I'm sorry you were not completely satisfied with your first experience with us. The Customer Care Team is here to help with any issues and we encourage people to call whenever they have questions and we're developing a Custom Portal that will be a great benefit to our customers! Again thank you for all the feedback and please call and ask for Adam or Jasmin for your future needs.

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

When I registered my dog with AKC to get the AKC papers, they had an insurance that I could purchase for my dog and I took the opportunity of doing that. Having the insurance is very valuable if my dogs are sick. I've been a policyholder with AKC for two months now and I've already filed a claim with them to use the insurance for the vet. The process of filing a claim was very painless. I called their 1-800 number and talked to their rep, and they emailed me the forms. I filled these out and brought all these to the vet, then I sent these in to AKC. I breed dogs and sell puppies, and I would recommend AKC Pet Insurance to everybody.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thanks for the review and recommending us, Mary!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

You can get different insurance policies and you can get one for everything but it costs a lot of money. I've had the insurance with AKC for over 10 years now and it protects my dog. Sometimes people think I’m getting robbed. But if you’re covered for the right things, it works and AKC comes through when the dog gets sick. My insurance doesn't cover visits but they cover the serious stuff, like operations. When my dog had a fatty tumor growth on his back leg, he had to have it cut off and AKC covered me for that. They sent me a check and paid right away.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

We’ve been pet owners for over 30 years and we’ve had four dogs in that amount of time. They’ve all been large dogs and some lived as long 17 years. Some were healthy while others had some health issues down the road. There were times when we wished we had insurance with some animals but other times, it wouldn’t have paid off because we wouldn’t have needed it. But like with people, we have insurance so that if we ever need it, it’s there. If we don’t need it, that’s great.

When the breeder gave us a form to register our new puppy, there was information contained within that that there was an AKC insurance available. AKC is an organization that has been around a long time and I trust them. Since that was the company that the breeder was recommending, I was gonna at least try it. When I inquired, the people I talked to were very knowledgeable and helpful. They explained exactly what would be covered and put me at ease. I put in a claim when we did a well-visit with immunization and it was handled very quickly. I paid upfront then I submitted the paperwork and AKC reimbursed me. The check was sent very quickly as well. It was great.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thanks for being a part of our Pet Insurance Family, Peggy! We apperciate you taking the time to give us a review!

Original review: July 27, 2018

AKC Pet Insurance is great to have. I got it through the breeder that I bought my dog from. I trusted its brand. They’re a good company. So go ahead and join them. They were always good to me.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thank you for your kind words, Tia. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback!

Original review: July 24, 2018

My rescue got microchipped at the vet for $75 and it had a yearly fee. I ended up getting a puppy at eight weeks old and the breeder uses the AKC chips so, when Ann, my rescue, had her litter, he helped me go through AKC Pet Insurance to get the AKC chips because they had a one-time fee. I rescued another hound dog and he was the first dog I have that’s AKC-registered and has an AKC chip in him. I just tried the free 30-day but didn’t keep it. I didn't really need it since my vet was reasonable and he isn’t very expensive. If I had a big emergency or something with one of my dogs, it wouldn’t matter what the price was. He would take care of them and I could pay him. If you live in a big city where vets and stuff are expensive, then it’s probably a good idea. But out here where I live, doctor claims are pretty good.

I used the insurance once and submitted a claim but I’ve never heard anything back on it. It was two weeks after I did the free trial. But AKC does everything right and I love the microchips. I’m glad they changed the collars that you can order with their microchip. The first ones that they had six years ago were nice and lasted a long time but AKC changed them and they weren’t good at all because it peeled off. But now, they have a square, engraved little thing on the collar and those haven’t faded. They realized the problem and fixed it. I recommend AKC all the time and people need to microchip their pets.

Hi Abby,

We're glad you are so happy with AKC Reunite's microchip service as well as AKC Pet Insurance. While we are separate companies, a lot of AKC registered dogs get signed up with both of us. It is wonderful that you have such a reasonable vet that isn't very expensive but we are here for you if you find a need for us in the future. If you have any questions about the claim you submitted please feel free to reach out to the Customer Care Team and we would be happy to go over the details!

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: July 20, 2018

My dog was already enrolled to AKC Pet Insurance when I bought her. Their customer service is great. Any question I have, they’re always very friendly and they answer me. And in any questions, they’re always pleasant and polite. I always recommend AKC. I had a good experience with them and I’ll just keep them. I wish it's a little bit cheaper but it’s good. It’s so expensive but it’s like you cannot have it. And the cost is not as much as I would have to pay full price for a surgery, which she had been through.

AKC Pet Insurance response

We're glad your experience was a pleasant and polite one! We aim for everyone to have the same experience. Thanks for the review, Kim!

Original review: July 15, 2018

We had a friend who had a dog that broke its leg and it was a very expensive endeavor. So, I got pet insurance. With AKC, I did it in one phone call and used my credit card and it was pretty easy. We have a policy that includes major critical illness type stuff. It's very valuable and definitely gives us peace of mind.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thanks for the review, Megan! Glad we could provide some peace of mind.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I received my puppy and AKC was the only option available at first, but it was very convenient. Their customer service was responsive. They answered questions I had at the time and I recommend it.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thank you for taking the time to review us, Johanna! We are honored to insure your puppy. Thank you so much for your continued loyalty and recommendations!

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: July 11, 2018

My dog is registered with AKC and I heard about their pet insurance from them. I got the policy and when I applied to get reimbursed for one of my dog's treatments, I got reimbursed with no problems. I want to take care of my dog as I'm on a fixed income and he is my service animal. Working with the customer service reps at AKC was wonderful. They answered my questions and though I didn't know they were going to pay for part of the medication that my dog had, they did. They let me know exactly what was going on and what was authorized with my insurance.

Original review: July 10, 2018

When I registered my puppy through AKC, I saw an advertisement for their pet insurance and I got a policy from them. But after three months of having the policy, I had to cancel it because I couldn’t afford it, although I thought I could. When I contacted them to cancel my policy, my experience with the rep was pretty good.

Hello Christopher,

Thanks for leaving a review and if you need us in the future please call the Customer Care Team and one of the agents can help you customize a policy to fit any budget!

Take care,

Original review: July 8, 2018

My other pets that passed away needed operations then. So, when I got a new one, I got an insurance and went with AKC Pet Insurance. The initial sign up process was easy. I just did it online. I've been a policy holder for two years now and they’ve been fine, so far. I pay them monthly and it's just there if I need it.

Original review: July 6, 2018

We had a French Bulldog and when the breeder we bought it through registered the dog with AKC, the insurance information transferred simultaneously. All we had to do was call within 24 hours to activate it. However, we just got all the insurance initially because it was easy. Everything had to be done so quickly and I hate being out of the gun like that. With one of our dogs, we got the insurance within 24 hours. With the other, I didn't and I felt like I was working for the American Kennel Club. I decided it was too much work so I canceled all the policies. Nevertheless, the people on the phone for them were very nice. Those working with AKC better be ready to spend a ton of time to get all of their stuff documented.

Hi James,

I'm sorry you had a less than satisfactory experience getting your dog registered and the 30 Day Certificate of Insurance activated. We want the experience to be as easy as possible for you and are always here to help! Please feel free to reach out to us and ask for Adam or Jasmin.

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: July 3, 2018

My dog is a four-and-a-half-year-old Bichon who hasn't been in good health. My husband who's a physician brushes her teeth at least three times a week. However, she had to have 16 teeth extracted because of overcrowding in her mouth and they had to be extracted under anesthesia at the vet's office. The procedure would cost $800 and when I called AKC Pet Insurance, I was told it was not covered. The policy stated that the only time that anything involving teeth was included was when it was due to an accident, which I didn't think that was fair and I felt it should be considered because hers was not due to any type of dental disease. There was no form of gum disease or dental decay. If someone would ask me about AKD, I'd tell them to read the contract very carefully before they go on board.

Hi Janet,

I'm sorry your policy was not helpful for the teeth extractions. You are correct in that the policy Terms and Conditions exclude teeth extractions unless they are due to an accident. We do encourage everyone to read their Terms and Conditions and the Customer Care Team is here to help with any questions or concerns. We do appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback.

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: July 2, 2018

We got an AKC Pet Insurance when we had our dog, who is about three years old now. I had a dog who had a very, very expensive illness and that was the reason that we decided to get insurance this time. AKC Pet Insurance was just what we expected.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I bought a puppy and when I registered it, I could choose from different things and that’s how I found out about the pet insurance for the first time. There were 3 or 4 different options and AKC has 30 days free pet insurance for accidents and illnesses. I didn’t actually get to use it before it ran out, but I was glad that it was there. I called the vet one time to inquire about plans and prices and it is so expensive. So, having pet insurance is very valuable.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thanks for the review, Vanessa! Please feel free to give the Customer Care Team a call any time if you have questions about the coverage options.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I have large breed dogs and I talked to some people from the UK where it was very common to have pet insurance and they suggested I get one. AKC Pet Insurance was AKC-affiliated which gave them credibility and I’ve had them for at least 10 years. To process it, I take the dog to the vet and I hand in the insurance form. They have it on file which is nice and they fill it out and send it in. Then, I pay it at the time of service and they send me a check. I don’t have to wait too long for the reimbursement. They also send a note in the process that we received it. My vet now emails or faxes it so it’s even faster.

I have a nine-year-old Leonberger who has bone cancer. He had chemotherapy and radiation so we maxed out but it was never debated one time for the insurance. Everything was paid and it was not an issue at all. It was very positive, just like all my past experiences. My daughter has a pet and I signed him up immediately since it’s totally valuable and I wish my regular people insurance was as easy as this.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thank you for being part of our Pet Insurance Family for so long, Ansell! We appreciate your review!

Original review: June 24, 2018

When I registered my dog with AKC, I was given information on the pet insurance. AKC Pet Insurance had a discounted rate for starting. I have a show puppy and I was worried if something big would happen.

Original review: June 23, 2018

We have a $4,000 dog so I looked into pet insurance which i very valuable and I kept seeing AKC. I got a puppy package from them so that every time I would go to the vet, there is no charge.

Hi Madeline,

I'm glad you see the value in pet insurance. I'm sorry you were under the impression that there would be no charge for every vet visit. Pet insurance reimburses for veterinary expenses that are eligible according to the plan you chose at enrollment. If you have questions about your coverage or need further clarification, we would be more than happy to speak with you. Feel free to ask for Adam or Jasmin.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I have a dog I purchased from a breeder and there was an AKC Pet Insurance certificate for the first month. My past dogs are all older and pet insurance wasn’t a thing when I had them, so I got one for security. It's highly valuable.

Original review: June 14, 2018

My wife and I paid a decent amount for our first dog and I thought that if was gonna spend that much on a dog, I might as well pay a couple of bucks a month too if anything bad happens. So, I Googled “pet insurance” and AKC was one of the first ones that came up. It’s a reputable name and if your dogs are pure-bred and recognized by AKC, I assumed that that was a good thing. I have their policy for two years now and so far, my experience with them has been good. The last time I called them was to see if I could lower my rates. For the first two years, I have $15,000 in total coverage for each dog. My dogs are relatively healthy so I wanted to bump that number down to see if I could get the monthly premium to come down a little bit. They worked the numbers with me and we came to a number that came down to $15 a pet a month and that was fine for me.

The price that i pay a month for two pets is about 80 bucks a month for a $8,000 in coverage per dog, and that’s a small price to pay. On the first year that I had the insurance, it kind of paid for itself as far as what I saved at the vet. I made a couple of trips to the emergency vet, and they always charge an arm and a leg for using the most minor things, so it paid off for that. But this last year, I didn’t have to claim anything.

But on top of the annual deductible, they also have a 20% co-insurance that they take out of every claim. So, after your annual deductible has been paid and if your bill was $1,000, you would have to come out-of-pocket $200 of that. That kind of threw me off at first, but that was a pretty standard thing for a pet insurance. The turnaround time was also a little slow. It could be over a month before I'd get a check in the mail to reimburse me for my cost, so that could be a little bit more efficient. But outside of that, they’ve covered all claims that I’ve sent in to the max extent that they could under my policy, so I can’t complain about that.

Dear Jason,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. All of our claims are processed within 3 to 5 days of receiving them unless additional information is needed from your veterinarian, which could delay the processing time. If you have experienced slower processing times, we would be more than happy to look into it further and answer any questions you may have. Feel free to call and ask for Adam or Jasmin.

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: June 12, 2018

We purchased pet insurance over a year ago for our Rottweiler. He is now almost 2. We've been paying $38/month with a $500 deductible. I knew neutering was not part of my plan, nor exams. Over the past year we have spent about $3000 in vet bills. We had x-rays to check for hip dysplasia because he was limping. I was not aware the x-rays are related to that condition it was not covered. We had the x-rays when he was neutered. He suffered a dog bite three days prior to being neutered. I was initially told that would be covered. The expenses were over $700. He needed sutures, an exam and medication. They tested him for Lyme disease due to his limping. With all these vet bills and us paying $38/month for over a year I was only reimbursed $18.77.

My point is that it makes much more sense to open a separate account and save for big expenses rather than pay monthly and wonder if you will be reimbursed or not. It's a waste of money. If you want the insurance to cover exams, hip dysplasia, medications, etc and not have a big deductible you will be paying over $100/month or around there. At that point it makes more sense to just save for these expenses rather than padding the insurance company.

Hello Peggy,

I’m sorry that you’re not finding your insurance to be beneficial. We do our best to make the Terms and Conditions of the policy you selected as clear as possible on what is and isn’t covered to avoid any confusion. Only charges relating to covered injuries or illnesses would be applied to the deductible. We offer a variety of deductibles knowing that everyone has different needs from their insurance. Some people like having higher deductibles in order to keep monthly premiums low, others prefer lower deductibles, so they don’t have to pay so much out of pocket. Again, I’m sorry that not as many of the charges went toward your deductible as you expected. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. If you have any further questions or concerns, please call in and ask for Jasmin or Adam.

AKC Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

AKC Pet insurance was founded in 2003 by John Spurling, who first offered pet insurance to the Kennel Club of Great Britain in the 1980s. The company's headquarters are now located in Seattle, Washington.

• Flea, tick and heartworm prevention covered: AKC Pet Insurance pays all fees for flea, tick and heartworm prevention for dogs covered by their policies.

• Multi-pet discounts: People that insurance more than one pet with AKC get a 5 percent discount on each additional pet.

• Wide coverage: AKC covers treatment from any veterinarian, which means pet owners can take their pets to the vet of their choice.

• No age exclusions: AKC will cover dog owners of any age, and they will not refuse insurance to dogs due to advanced age.

• Long filing allowance: The company allows people 180 days to file their insurance claims. This ensures that people who do not have the time to file claims right away can still receive benefits for their pet.

• Best for: Dog owners with older dogs, dog owners with multiple dogs, and dog owners who are loyal to their current vet.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky