4.64/5
Based on 107 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 2003, AKC Pet Insurance has served as the exclusive pet insurance provider for the American Kennel Club providing affordable, comprehensive pet health insurance to dogs and cats in all 50 states. Our customizable policy options allow you to create a plan that fits your individual needs and budget. Coverages include: accident coverage, illness coverage, coverage for inherited and congenital conditions and wellness

Read More Read More
Last updated: May 17, 2018

374 AKC Pet Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 17, 2018

I registered a Border Collie and then AKC Pet Insurance came up on the computer so I took it. I’m glad I did because right after I got the free insurance, I got into a car accident and my dog was hit by one of the airbags. I didn’t even think to call them, but then I remembered getting it when I registered her, which was shortly before the accident. I called them up and asked them if I was eligible for that and they said yes. I sent in everything and they gave me part of the money back, which was fantastic. Their rep was really good. He told me what I needed to do and he sent me the forms to fill out right away. The process was really easy.

I only had them one month free and I haven't extended. I thought having a pet insurance is a great thing. The more I’m talking to people, the more I’m thinking it will be good. If I have one good dog, it would be worth it, but I have so many dogs and 10 cats and horses, so I don’t know how much I can afford or who I would choose. So, that’s what I’m thinking about right now. Nonetheless, I’ve told a few people to accept the pet insurance when they register their dogs.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 12, 2018

My eight-year-old Doberman died of meningitis hemiplegic anemia about eight weeks ago and I had to have him put down. It was very expensive and I paid for all the treatments that my dog needed, but it would’ve been nice to have some reimbursement for some of that treatment that I had to pay out. So, I decided that my next dog would have insurance. AKC is so trusted that it made sense that their insurance would be trusted. I did everything online when I got their policy and their website was very user-friendly. I have it for about six weeks now and I haven't used it yet because this puppy is extremely healthy. I would recommend AKC.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thank you for the heartfelt review, Lisa! We greatly appreciate the feedback as well!

Original review: May 11, 2018

My experience with AKC Pet Insurance has been good. My dog is 10 months old and I’ve been with AKC for 10 months too. I had a Schnauzer before him that was 15 years old and Schnauzers are prone to have a lot of issues and I didn’t have insurance with him and I wished I had. So, I just went ahead and got a pet insurance for my new dog since the get-go. I had him neutered and I’ve had a flea and tick and heart medicine with him, and every time I’ve had him to the vet they’ve always reimbursed me quickly.

Having a pet insurance is very valuable, especially with Schnauzers. They have so many issues. People on Facebook had asked me about insurance and I told them who I have insurance with. I told my friends that I’ve had no issues with AKC at all and that they’ve been very quick to answer questions and advise me. Any time I’ve asked for anything, they’ve always been really quick to answer or send me anything in the mail. They’ve been really good with me.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thank you for the review, Karen! We also greatly appreciate the referrals!

Original review: May 6, 2018

It's extremely valuable to have pet insurances. We need them. We've had AKC Pet Insurance since 2008 and they were very good recently. They did all what they could for the final arrangement. I would surely recommend AKC.

Original review: May 5, 2018

My dog’s AKC registered and I had some insurance then. However, the pet company never sent any information, I assumed I don’t have insurance through them so I decided to go ahead and take an insurance out on my dog. My friend have insurance with AKC Pet Insurance, so I just changed insurance over to them. It was easy signing up with them. So far, I’m satisfied with them from what I’ve read through the computer of what they cover and what they don’t. It’s been good, so far. it feels comfortable knowing that he’s insured if something happens.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Pet Insurance?

Original review: May 4, 2018

My dog is AKC-registered so I just went ahead and went with AKC Pet Insurance. I've been with them for half a year and thankfully, I haven't had any experience yet but I'd recommend it.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thanks for the review, Robert!

Original review: April 29, 2018

I first heard about AKC Pet Insurance through the registration packet that I got when I registered my dog with AKC. I talked about AKC Pet Insurance with my vet and the breeder and I thought it was a good place to start. Also, the vet's good and well-respected. I had an accident the beginning of this month and I was so glad to have the coverage. It helped out tremendously and it's been a very quick recovery. It was a great experience.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I googled AKC Pet Insurance when I got my puppy 'cause he's AKC-registered. I've had it for two years and two months and I had an easy experience, but it was difficult on the vet once or twice because they weren't sending in the right diagnostic codes so they had to resend them. Then ten minutes that they were sent, they got me a check immediately for what was covered. Having pet insurance is valuable, especially if you have doctors.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Our dog was an AKC bred dog, so we immediately were interested in that AKC pet plan insurance policy. We got the paperwork and we've been a policyholder for 11 years now. They process claims timely and we didn't have any issues. Our dog just recently hurt her foot ankle and she had to have some x-rays. And the process has been streamlined immensely - just scanning the claim forms now, and not having to mail them. We got the check and reimbursement in a record time as well.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thank you for the review, Dawn! I’m glad you found our new claim process simpler! We thank you for your loyalty over the years and am glad we’ve been able to help you over the years. I hope your dog has made a full recovery from her ankle injury. Please let us know if there’s ever anything we can do for you. Our Customer Care Team is always here to help. Best, AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: April 26, 2018

Our second dog died of cancer and we spent a lot of money in that. So, when we got our third dog, the breeder got pet insurance for us and it was AKC. When our dog ate our Christmas tree, he needed a bunch of surgeries 'cause there was wire in his stomach, and AKC was right there. They helped us through the whole thing. Our dog was pretty sick and we almost lost him and AKC came through with flying colors. AKC also put our dog's picture in an ad and told our story, and it was nice. My wife and I were in the picture as well. We recommend anybody to get the insurance if they have a dog or a puppy because the dogs are mischievous. Anyone who doesn’t get this for their pets are playing with fire. Every dog has issues and it can get expensive.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thank you for the review, Dennis! We’re glad we were able to be there to help and so glad that your dog has made a full recovery. Sometimes it takes having had the experience like you did with your previous dog to appreciate the benefit of pet insurance. We always appreciate the recommendations! Please let us know if there’s ever anything we can do for you. Our Customer Care Team is always here to help! Best, AKC Pet Insurance

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 18, 2018

When I registered my dog, I learned about AKC. I was given the 30 days of free veterinarian insurance and it was good. I used the trial and I did not sign up for more insurance as I didn’t want a monthly bill. When I used the trial, I paid $100 out of my pocket for a claim and I felt that my bill was more than that. But when AKC went through it, they said the bill was a $96 thing, and so it was all my bill.

Hi Betty,

The 30-Day Certificate does indeed have a small deductible of $100. Eligible expenses go toward the deductible, so if the vet bill included items that were not eligible, those would not have gone toward the deductible. I’m glad you took advantage of benefit by activating the policy, but I’m sorry it wasn’t beneficial for you. If you ever have any questions about our insurance, our Customer Care Team would be more than happy to speak with you. Best, AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: April 17, 2018

We've always had our dogs registered with AKC and Kercy is our fourth corgi. We got the insurance when he was less than a year old and he's four now so we don't quite get to the deductible. We've used it for routine stuff except for some allergy medicine and they did an X-ray to make sure he didn’t have a blockage in his bowel at one point. It turned out to be nothing serious and the vet put him on a prescription dog food. He’s been fine since then. The insurance is worth it. For the first three pets we had, there were issues with kidneys, etcetera when they got to their last couple of years and we found ourselves spending more money at that point. I figured that this time we would go ahead and get the pet insurance in case anything like that happened. I would also recommend AKC.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thanks for the review, Margaret! We always appreciate the recommendations!

Original review: April 16, 2018

I had a dog two years ago that passed away and I spent thousands of dollars because I was so devoted to the dog. I did everything I could even though I knew she was terminal. I heard about AKC Pet Insurance through the American Kennel Club and I decided to purchase their insurance for my other dog. She is only a year old now so I changed the deductible. Other than that, I have no issues with AKC and I would recommend them.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thanks for leaving a review, Barbara!

Original review: April 13, 2018

When my dog got her Canine Good Citizen Award, I got AKC Pet Insurance information that came in the pack. It seemed like a good deal and I trusted the AKC name. In fact, my veterinarian daughter suggested it. I lost two dogs of old age to seizures in the past two years. I have a new puppy and I thought now is the time to get an insurance because it might allow us to do more for her as she ages. She's only 21 months old now, so we don't expect a lot of years for it yet. I'm new to this and I'm a retired person on a fixed income, but I want to give the best for my pets as they age. Moreover, their customer service team was extraordinarily nice. I have my billing taken out of my credit card, and my card got hacked. AKC called to say that the payment didn’t go through and they were extremely helpful in dealing with the setup of my new card.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thank you so much for the review, Mimi! Congratulations on getting your dog’s Canine Good Citizen Certificate! I’m so glad you’ve had a positive experience! I will pass on the kind words to our staff. Please let us know if you ever have any questions or concerns. Our Customer Care Team is always happy to help! Best, AKC Pet Insurance

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 12, 2018

When I first got my dog, I registered him with the AKC and they sent me something in the mail that said, "You get two free months of pet insurance." My dog is now 13 years old so I've had this insurance for 13 years. In the last few months, I've had a lot of claims so I have a lot of experience with them. They have gotten a lot better. When I first had them, they took a long time to pay the reimbursement. But they've gotten quick about it, usually within a week or two. Worst case, it will take them three weeks to pay on the claim.

But I wish they had some website functions. With other pet insurances, you can go to a website, look at your claims, check the status, and submit the claim through an app. But AKC doesn't have anything like that. Basically, you can email them a PDF of your claim and that's it. I have called there quite a few times and some of their customer service people are really good and helpful, but some of them are not. They're professional during our interactions. But sometimes I think I've been given some wrong information. Some of them seemed to understand their product better than others.

My biggest problem with AKC is that they have a very low minimum. They put limits on how they’ll pay out for conditions or for the year of your policy. I have a dog in another policy and she has much better coverage because the limits are much higher. AKC is very restrictive on certain conditions that they won't cover, such as arthritis, while my other dog's policy covers that. AKC doesn't cover acupuncture or chiropractic, but a lot of companies now cover those things. AKC will put limits on how much they'll pay out on every condition, not just for the policy year, but for the whole life of your pet. So I would not recommend AKC. And if I were to get new insurance, I would not use them.

Hello Sybil,

Thank you for your feedback. We are always striving to improve what we can offer our customers and ways to better serve them. Please feel free to give us a call to discuss your concerns and give us more feedback.

Original review: April 8, 2018

We looked into insurance policy because of the bills. Dogs are my life and they're expensive to raise and take care. So, we shopped around and saw AKC Pet Insurance online. They had their offer, I grabbed it and I've been a policyholder for four years now. My most recent experience with them was when my dog had an allergy. I filled out the claim form and the doctor signed it, sent it to AKC and then they transferred the payment. AKC Pet Insurance is very good. I'm very happy with the way they work.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thanks for the review, Raymond! I’m so glad you’ve had a good experience. We greatly appreciate your loyalty! To make the claims process even easier, we created new claim forms that no longer require signatures. Visit our website to download the newest version. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us anytime. Our Customer Care Team is always happy to help! Best, AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: April 7, 2018

We purchased our dog from a pet store and we were provided with a free month of insurance from AKC Pet Insurance. Pet insurance was never something we had really considered. But a couple years back my other dog got very sick and it racked up to over $5,000 for a little 14 lb. dog to get better. So, we decided it'd be best to pay a little bit more money in the long run so I stayed with AKC. However, it was a hassle to set up. I called and they said I needed to call somebody else. I would then call somebody else and they would say, "Okay. You need to call them." I would call back and they would say, "No. You needed somebody else." That happened three times. It took me a week and a half to get my insurance set up and I was making a call or two to them every day. Thank God we haven't really needed to use it but, it's been set up and working properly now. Nonetheless, their reps were all super nice.

Hi Nicholas,

I’m sorry to hear it was so challenging for you to set up your policy. We appreciate your feedback as we are always looking for ways to better serve our customers. We would love to speak with you and discuss your experience to try to identify where the break down was. Please feel free to call and ask for Adam or Jasmin. We’re always here to help. Best, AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: April 6, 2018

I've been an AKC Pet Insurance policy holder for a month and a half now. AKC was the best from our options and it sounded like a really good deal so we registered our dog with them and we just went ahead with it. Their enrollment process was super easy. A few weeks ago, our puppy broke her knees and we sent in all the information and a lot of it got covered. Having AKC Pet Insurance is extremely valuable now where prices break up in just two or three weeks after we signed up.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thank you for the review, Evie! I’m sorry your pup had such a traumatic injury at such a young age! I’m glad we were able to be of assistance. I hope your puppy is doing well and making a full recovery since her accident. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us anytime. Our Customer Care Team is always here to help! Best, AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: April 5, 2018

Every German Shepherd I have had has always been AKC registered. For the last German Shepherd I got here, a few months ago when I received the registration in the mail, I also received a 30-day AKC insurance policy which is the first time I knew about the insurance with them. I've been with them since February and I had a claim within three days after I got the insurance because my puppy broke his toe. I felt bad about that but the process went smoothly. And when I called the AKC Insurance helpline and talked to their agents, they were fantastic and made me feel really good about filing a claim within three days of receiving the policy.

I was so impressed with them that just before my 30-day free policy expired, I went ahead and signed up. I'm now a paying customer. Also, I went out and researched several insurance companies. And based on my personal experience and everything I found online, I would recommend AKC above anything else at this time.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thanks for the kind words, Greg! We hope your pups broken toe is all better!

Original review: April 2, 2018

We have a Golden Retriever that is a mama dog and we’re breeding her. I wanted to make sure that if anything happens, then I've got insurance for her. Plus, we have another dog that had a traumatic experience and we ended up paying $1700 to save him. So, I got a policy with AKC Pet Insurance and I've been a policy holder for about 6 months now. It’s comforting to know that it’s there.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thanks for the review, Terry!

Original review: March 25, 2018

I haven’t had a pet in a long time but I know some people who do. Something happened to the leg of my friend's dog and she was so thankful that she had pet insurance because it was so much money. I thought it would be a good idea and I made some other cutbacks in my spending so that I can take the insurance out. It has not even been six months since I got AKC Pet Insurance but they were good. Initially, I read some of the consumers’ comments on it and the customer service was very helpful as well. It’s like life insurance more than it is like health insurance. I have a $500 deductible but I may never even use it that often and something may never happen. But there's also that chance where something may happen and it will come in handy.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thanks for the review, Lauren. The Customer Care Team is here to help whenever you need a hand with your policy.

Original review: March 23, 2018

My registered pet came with AKC insurance that was 30 days free, so we extended it. I have a large breed so, it's fairly important to have it. I've had the policy since January and the coverage seems good. I talked to two different reps on the phone and they were very helpful, informative and knowledgeable. It's a good value and they have professional customer service.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thank you very much for the great review, Melissa!

Original review: March 22, 2018

My dog's AKC certified so when she was born, she was covered through the insurance for three months. She was also a sick puppy. She had intestinal issues and if we had changed insurance providers, the policy would not have covered those issues. We've had AKC pet insurance for seven years now and it has been extremely valuable for my dog. They’ve covered everything that we’ve needed, and it has paid for itself more than once over. It’s cost-effective and user-friendly.

Filing a claim is easy too. You print out a form, attach the receipt for an office visit, fill out the form with basic information and email it in. In fact, they’ve changed the claim form from needing the doctor’s signature to just needing the office visit receipt. And that has made things a lot easier. If I forget my form, I don’t have to get back down to the vet and have them take care of it. I can now take care of everything from home. Then I usually get a response and a reimbursement check in less than a week.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thanks for the kind words, Jennifer! We heard from a lot of customers that the vet signature was a bit of a hassle and we take that feedback seriously. We’re glad it has made the process easier for you!

Original review: March 13, 2018

A friend of mine had AKC Pet Insurance, and I went ahead and signed up for it after I bought my dog. It’s a good idea to have, especially in the first year or two when you’re still learning if your pet’s going to have any medical problems or allergies, or anything that would possibly be long-term. As far as their service goes, you go to the vet, you send your forms in and then they reimburse your money for whatever they cover of it, whether it’d be all of it or half of it. It was helpful to me when I needed it and I was happy with what I had when I had it. It all seemed fairly simple and straightforward. I had it for a year and I canceled it after as I didn't feel I needed it at this time. My dog got a clean bill of health, and I just didn’t see the point of paying $70 a month for something I wasn’t using or didn’t have a need for. But it's always something I can go back to and get if I feel it being necessary.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thanks for the review, Kenneth! The Customer Care Team is here to help keep things simple and straightforward when you need us!

Original review: March 10, 2018

When I got my dog, I was given a month of insurance through AKC for free. It was easy to sign up and get him all situated. When that one month expired, AKC offered the best deal and coverage for what I was going to pay. I have been a policyholder since August of last year. French Bulldogs have a lot of sensitivities and I have one, so it's an obvious choice for me to have a coverage and I know he's going to need the preventative care that they provide with one of their descender plus programs.

I had to put in a claim right around New Year for some extra reasons that my dog had. Normally, they were quick to turn it around. It was February and I hadn't seen the check come through, so I called them. They were really nice and very responsive. The rep said he would see if the check was issued and would give me a call in a couple of days. Then he gave me a call back in 20 minutes and said that he would get the check issued to me and that everything was good. Then I received it within three business days. It was very quick and efficient and there were no fights, which was nice. The claim was very easy to process and they had a good system installed.

After my dog, fractured his legs, having insurance became very valuable. We made a lot of visits to an orthopedic surgeon. And having the x-rays and the medications he was prescribed covered really helped a lot and gave peace of mind. Thank God I have pet insurance. I love it and it's definitely worth it and I recommend AKC.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thank you for the great review, Sierra! Glad we could help provide some peace of mind!

Original review: March 9, 2018

When I brought my new puppy home, the breeder had given me a folder so that I could finish registering her. AKC Pet Insurance was in there because they give 30 days free so my breeder said to me to sign up for it, see what I think then decide on what I want to do. I’ve never had a pet insurance before for my pets but this puppy is pretty delicate and I thought the best thing to do would be to register her with AKC. She’s seven months old now but she’s less than six pounds. She’s just so little and the potential for her to have some issues are up there. This is also my first female and when I looked at the forms, it said that they cover spaying as well. Their coverage looked really extensive and I liked that.

I looked up AKC and saw a lot of good comments. Plus, AKC is so well-known. I called them and spoke with someone. I liked their answers so we set the plan up. I’ve been a policyholder for five months now and I’ve only used it when she had to go in for a vaccine. My vet does something where we pay a flat fee for either the tax or the doctor then her shots are covered for the rest of her life. I handed my claim form at the vet’s office and they said they would take care of it. So far, I’ve had good luck dealing with AKC.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thanks for the review, Tammy! So glad to hear that you have had a positive experience and will pass that onto our team! Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us anytime. Our Customer Care Team is always happy to answer any questions you may have. Best, AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: March 8, 2018

A pet insurance is valuable and when I got my puppy, the breeder has told me about AKC Pet Insurance. I was a policyholder for a year, but finances dictated that I needed to drop it for right now.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thanks for leaving a review, David!

Original review: March 5, 2018

I registered my little Min Pin with AKC Pet Insurance. I've been under their service for two and a half years and I haven't had any problems with it. I recommend AKC. They've been around for a long time and they're very reputable and dependable.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thanks for the review, Erni! We’re glad you’ve had a positive experience and we appreciate your loyalty! Please let us know if you ever have any questions or concerns. Our Customer Care Team would be more than happy to help!

Original review: March 3, 2018

I have been with AKC Pet Insurance for two years now. It was referred by a breeder. In general, their service has been fine. But recently, my dog came down with a hereditary disease and AKC failed me on that end. But I didn't bother to bring that up with them because they told me that it was their stated policy that they didn't insure dogs with hereditary problems. Other than that, I was very pleased with them overall. But I would tell others to investigate if they have a policy that includes hereditary diseases.

Hi Neil,

Firstly, I’m sorry your dog developed a hereditary condition at such a young age. We offer add-on coverage for inherited and congenital conditions, however that must be added on prior to the onset of symptoms, so in your case, that would not have been helpful. I’m glad you’re pleased with your coverage overall. We hope your pup is doing well and remains healthy moving forward! Please do not hesitate to reach out to us anytime. Our Customer Care Team would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Best, AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: March 1, 2018

I signed up with AKC Pet Insurance when I adopted my pup. I've had the policy for two months, and I recently filed a claim and I'm waiting for them to answer because they asked for additional documentation from the vet. But so far, I've had a satisfactory experience.

AKC Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

AKC Pet insurance was founded in 2003 by John Spurling, who first offered pet insurance to the Kennel Club of Great Britain in the 1980s. The company's headquarters are now located in Seattle, Washington.

• Flea, tick and heartworm prevention covered: AKC Pet Insurance pays all fees for flea, tick and heartworm prevention for dogs covered by their policies.

• Multi-pet discounts: People that insurance more than one pet with AKC get a 5 percent discount on each additional pet.

• Wide coverage: AKC covers treatment from any veterinarian, which means pet owners can take their pets to the vet of their choice.

• No age exclusions: AKC will cover dog owners of any age, and they will not refuse insurance to dogs due to advanced age.

• Long filing allowance: The company allows people 180 days to file their insurance claims. This ensures that people who do not have the time to file claims right away can still receive benefits for their pet.

• Best for: Dog owners with older dogs, dog owners with multiple dogs, and dog owners who are loyal to their current vet.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky