2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.65/5

Since 2003, AKC Pet Insurance has served as the exclusive pet insurance provider for the American Kennel Club through its incorporated name, PetPartners. AKC Pet Insurance provides affordable, comprehensive pet health insurance to dogs and cats of all ages and breeds in all 50 states. AKC’s customizable policy options allow you to create a plan that fits your individual needs and budget.

BOTTOM LINE

AKC Pet Insurance provides customizable coverage for dogs and cats with an easy application process and low prices. Offers a multipet discount and full refunds within 30 days for dissatisfied customers.

PROS

• Full 30-day refund
  • Multipet discount
  • Customizable plans

CONS

• Only covers dogs and cats

Top AKC Pet Insurance Reviews

Having pet insurance is totally valuable and AKC has always been very good with any claims. I've never had anything denied that should have been accepted. So they've always been honest. There's never been any questions on the billing or the claims either. They're also fast responders.

Right after we got our Golden Retriever, she contracted something from some other dogs at a dog park and she was really sick. We took her to the doctor and the AKC health insurance really helped us a lot. The bill was gonna be $2,400 and after the insurance, it only cost us $900.

AKC Pet Insurance(866) 725-2747

How does AKC Pet Insurance work?

American Kennel Club has more than 135 years of experience supporting the research and health of purebred dogs, so it was only natural that it added pet insurance to its list of services. Administered by PetPartners Inc., AKC Pet Insurance offers pet insurance to dogs and cats in all 50 states and tailors its plans to fit your budget and your pet’s individualized needs.

You can receive a customized quote by following the simple process on the AKC Pet Insurance website:

1. Provide a few details about your pet.
  2. Select the type of deductible, coinsurance, annual limit, coverage and add-ons you desire.
  3. Get your pet insurance quote in real time.

Once you apply, there is a two-day waiting period for accident coverage and a 14-day waiting period for illness coverage. A wellness exam is not a requirement to receive AKC Pet Insurance, and the company offers a discount for each pet you cover.

Customer service representatives are available via phone or live online chat to answer questions about the application process or any of the available plans. You can also submit an inquiry using the email form on the company's website. AKC Pet Insurance offers to refund your entire premium if you’re not satisfied with your coverage and haven’t filed a claim in the first 30 days.

What does AKC Pet Insurance cover?

All American Kennel Club Pet Insurance plans begin with the Accident & Illness base plan, which covers x-rays, ultrasounds, medications, emergency care and hospital stays for any accident or new illness.

In addition to accident and illness coverage, AKC Pet Insurance customers can take advantage of several add-ons for a completely customized plan:

• Exam coverage: This option reimburses customers for exam fees and veterinarian visit charges regardless of the procedures or treatments performed on your pet. This coverage includes specialty clinics and emergency visits.
  • Hereditary coverage: Certain breeds are susceptible to various chronic or genetic conditions. This additional insurance coverage protects your wallet from extra charges as a result of the tests or treatments required to remedy these conditions.
  • Wellness coverage: This coverage helps keep your pet in top shape with reimbursement for treatments such as flea and tick prevention, vaccinations, spaying, neutering and microchipping. Wellness coverage is available with the Defender or DefenderPlus plans.
  • Final respects: This insurance covers add-on costs associated with cremation, urns and other necessities.

AKC Pet Insurance does not cover preexisting conditions, wellness and routine care, grooming services, breeding care or elective procedures. Additionally, certain areas of coverage, including holistic plans or behavioral problems, are not available in all states. There is also a waiting period, which means newly signed pets must wait two days to receive coverage for accidents and 14 days to receive coverage for illnesses.

AKC Pet Insurance price

AKC Pet Insurance costs typically range between $10 and $60 per month, depending on coverage level, pet breed and age. AKC cat insurance can be as low as $4 for a healthy, young cat, but AKC dog insurance tends to have slightly higher premiums. If you have multiple pets that need coverage, you’ll receive a 5% discount when enrolling more than one.

Gathering an AKC Pet Insurance quote is simple to do on the company’s website — just input your state of residence and your pet’s breed and age into the quote tool to determine coverage costs.

American Kennel Club Pet Insurance FAQ

Does AKC Pet Insurance cover shots?
AKC Pet Insurance covers shots under the Defender and DefenderPlus Wellness Plans. These plans are available in addition to the base Accidents & Illness plan.
How do I get an AKC Pet Insurance claim form?
To file an AKC Pet Insurance claim, use the company’s website to access the AKC Pet Insurance claim form. You can submit your claim by email, mail or fax. If you need help filing a claim, reach out to an AKC Pet Insurance customer service representative.
Does AKC Pet Insurance cover prescriptions?
Yes, any of AKC Pet Insurance plans cover prescriptions as long as they’re not needed for preexisting conditions.

Is AKC Pet Insurance worth it?

AKC Pet Insurance is an excellent option for dog and cat owners who want inexpensive, customizable coverage with a wide variety of add-on options. AKC Pet Insurance's quote tool only requires your pet’s breed, age and location to give an initial quote. AKC customer service representatives are available by chat or phone to help you through the application process. The company only offers pet insurance for dogs and cats, but qualifying customers receive excellent coverage from a company that has 130 years of experience with purebred pets.

AKC Pet Insurance Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

My vet had handed me the thing on AKC and it seemed like a reasonable deal to do it that way, and he’d given me something on it. They had a 30-day introductory deal on it, so it seemed like it was easy enough to say yes to and then do it later on. We had one claim about four months ago for some kind of a stomach issue and ran up a pretty hefty bill, and they handled it for us. I thought they were fair. The way they explained it was clear.

I'm kind of bad customer for insurance ‘cause I usually feel like I'm willing to cover the risk myself, but the vet had said, “Why don’t you just get it and try it for a year or two and see if you like it over." It was some kind of a period of time. Obviously, whatever insurance you get if you don’t use it for the first year, it’s easy to say that was a waste of money. I shouldn’t have it. You can always talk yourself out of it, if you don’t need it. If you do need, it’s like, “Oh, we got smart to get it.” So, it depends on that regard. But the people in customer service were certainly nice enough. They got a snafu with the policy number change on something and somebody looked at it, was very reasonable, got right back to me and fixed it. So, the problem was handled.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 30, 2019

We got a purebred Bichon and we registered her with the AKC and then we got some information on the pet insurance. We went with AKC because it was convenient. They gave us one month of free pet insurance as well. The free month was up, so I extended it. Our experience with them was good. They’re very helpful. During that month, I had to submit a claim. Our Bichon has ear infections. She was scratching a lot and if we touched her ears, it was painful. We got the dog from a breeder when she was seven months old. Bichons grow hair in their ear and the breeder never cleaned that out. So, over time, after we got her, it became very infected, which we didn’t realize.

I had to take the dog for a follow-up with my vet. Then the vet explained the shape of the ear canal which is why the groomer didn’t see the hair that was impacted in a different area of the ear canal. She could only see what was on the outside of the ear, and it was deep inside. And my vet said that probably occurred way back when the dog was still with the breeder. The claim was put in and I haven't heard back from AKC. They needed all the paperwork which I’ve just sent in this week. So, they’re reviewing it, but they’ve been on top of everything. They were very helpful in customizing the type of insurance I needed, and adding on and taking out what I didn’t want.

Original review: July 9, 2019

In signing up with AKC, I got the first 30 days free. I actually had an event during that period and submitted a claim. My thinking was if they responded to the claim and took care of it, I’d go ahead and continue the insurance, and if they didn’t, then they were not worth my time and I was not gonna do it. They responded and took care of the event even though it was like a free period, and I signed up with them.

They were fairly easy to get in contact with every single time I tried to call them. The original payment they were sending me on the event I had with the puppy didn't get to me for whatever reason. I called them and they direct deposited the next day. It was easy. Even though there seems to be a mistake, they made up for it really quickly. So far, it zeroes out, which is all I can really hope for. My theory is, say, the dog was 10 years. There's probably gonna be a lot more payout on their part in the last few and a lot more pay-in on my part for the first year just because of age. So over the whole time, if it ends up being flat, I’d be happy.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Hi Justin,

Thank you for leaving a review! I'm glad we were able to help you while on your 30-day policy. I'm so glad you decided to continue your coverage with us. I'm sorry that you ran into some trouble with your claim reimbursement but I'm glad we were able to remedy the issue quickly! Please let us know if there is ever anything we can do for you!

Best,

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: July 3, 2019

I’m not particularly impressed with AKC right now. I have 3 very sick puppies from a litter and I’ve had a problem with the former breeder. When I called for their assistance, I was walked through with another process I knew nothing about and got no letters saying my puppies are now mine. They refused to register them that they’re now mine and if I ever do that again, they’re gonna sanction me.

I wasn’t the one that did all the registration. It was AKC's people that walked me through it and they were too busy to talk me. The rep said, “I got other calls, I can’t talk to you,” and quickly hung up on me. I’m not very impressed with them and their standards of care. For 1 of the 3 puppies, they told me it’s not gonna make the first birthday. The other 1, I’ve already spent over $10,000 in vet bills for surgeries, and the other 1, we don’t know what the status of his heart is. He needs a 2nd or 3rd eye surgery, but there are no remedies for that. They said, “Unless you’re a charitable organization or anything, we don’t do anything.” I was basically on my own so a way is to euthanize them and not be bothered with the expense or do them and try everything to help the puppies stay better at my cost with no assistance from AKC. But they didn’t have any problems charging me for everything up to a zoo.

AKC Pet Insurance has been helpful, but unfortunately, my problem was that I didn’t realize that these puppies were very sick and I got that as a safe gap in the meantime. Puppies are puppies. They’re like little kids. They can get sick really fast, and they can get hurt so I got the insurance. I had a protection in case something happens with them all. I found them there at Forever Homes. They have pre-existing conditions and no insurance will take them. AKC was helpful in that regard except now that I’ve maxed out on everything because it’s a one-time lifetime thing, which if I had realized that there are gonna be problems, I would have gotten a full insurance policy for them. They have extensive illnesses and they’ve now capped, so it’s a restricted policy. That’s the problem and there are no options to change that.

Now, it doesn’t matter what insurance policy I get for them. All this stuff will not be covered ‘cause it’s pre-existing. It’s genetic. So, other things in the future, if something else happens to them for whatever reason that’s not directly related to what their birth issues were, that would be covered.

Original review: June 11, 2019

On a previous dog, we had VPI, Veterinary Pet Insurance. We got a puppy two years ago and since I wasn’t happy with VPI’s coverage, I looked online and I asked for a recommendation. I got one from AKC and I have been with them for about a year and a half. I've used the policy a couple of times for stuff that my dog has had and they have been helpful. Their process is also easy.

Something’s always going to happen and when a pet gets ear infection or all the way up to things that are more catastrophic, the pet insurance policy helps offset some of the cost of the vet visit. You can get covered all the way up to wellness checks for the dog, but you can pick which level you wanna have for insurance. So, it helps with peace of mind. If something would happen, you have some coverage. Just make sure to read what different levels you have or options for pet coverage. I was confused at first and I thought our dog was covered for a little more than what he was from the prescription, but I didn’t read the plan well enough. So, when I called AKC, they were able to explain the differences in the policy types.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Libby,

Thank you for the review! I'm glad we have been able to help you with your dog's medical care and that we were able to answer your questions about your policy. We are always hear to help. Please let us know if you ever have any questions or can assist you in anyway!

Best,

AKC Pet Insurance

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Pet Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

If AKC can find any reason to deny a properly submitted claim they will! You purchase a one year policy only to be told many of the more expensive conditions requiring extensive treatment/surgery require a 6 month waiting period, ie torn ACL which is rather common in big dogs. It doesn’t take 6 months to weed out preexisting conditions with any policy, particularly when trauma related. Paid for one year of coverage but my $3500 surgery bill was denied because it occurred at 4 months rather than in the 7th month. Doesn’t seem fair or just.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

AKC has been the most difficult company to work with. Every time I have called in, they tell me I do not have anything covered and I need to add more things to my coverage. I have had them for a year and every time I add something, it doesn’t cover the next thing. Not only have I spent 1200$ on my dog out of pocket, I have had 0$ reimbursed. What have a been paying for? I would have rather have burned the money than given it to AKC.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

If I could leave 0 stars, I would. Our 1 year old pup has had to have 2 total hip replacement surgeries and now a knee surgery all by a phenomenal specialist from Blue Pearl (5 stars for them). AKC did not and will not cover any of those ($20,000 when it's all said and done) even though we have the premium package and our fur babies are AKC Good Citizen Certified. They lead you on into thinking you are fully covered but then fill you in on a 30-180 day waiting period, hidden fees, etc. After the poor customer service displayed by the AKC staff, we ended up canceling our coverage and they offered a $50 reimbursement which yes was appreciated, but at the end of the day, not enough. We would do any and everything for our dogs but unfortunately I can't say the same about AKC. Save your money and find a different pet insurance company. Just sad.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Having an insurance for my pet is valuable. I used to have AKC and I enjoyed them when I used them. I already canceled them, but they were very helpful.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

I've known about AKC for years. My experience with them has been great. I had gotten like a free 30-day and it had lapsed and thankfully, I was still in the grace period. I didn't realize that, but my mom had died and other things had been on my mind. AKC was very kind and let me go ahead and get my policy backdated with no lapse. I was impressed with the understanding and support.

AKC Pet Insurance Company Information