toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

We got AKC 8 years ago and everything I've ever experienced with them has been incredibly positive. I think if someone can afford pet insurance, they should have it, and I think AKC is one of the better ones. In fact, I have recommended it over and over again. However, AKC should educate the veterinarians about them because they're the ones people like me go to if we have questions on which pet insurance companies they like working with, and the people at the vets' offices know nothing.

I've been a policyholder with AKC Pet Insurance for two years. Overall, it's been good with them. It's very valuable to have pet insurance. Recently, my credit card was blocked and I had to give AKC a new credit card. My dog has allergies and I don’t know if he’s capable of being reimbursed for that. But I probably won't use the insurance unless my dog has a catastrophic problem, like cancer.

AKC Pet Insurance was part of the package when we got the puppy. I just had to apply it. It's been good and easy with AKC. If I needed additional documentation, they went back to the vet. If the vet wasn't cooperating, then we would intervene and push the vet to give to AKC the information they needed. It was very clear and specific on how everything worked. It’s been an outstanding experience with them.

I've been quite pleased with AKC Pet Insurance for my first dog and my current dog. We lost our first dog two months ago. She had to have a very serious surgery the first of September and it would have been a worse nightmare. The surgery was over $5,000 and that was covered. The limit of the policy we had was $5,000 on an incident, although I was able to increase that to $10,000 for our other dog, for the future. That was a lesson we learned along the way and the policy covers the dental.

However, the second dog had some ear issue when we first got the policy and AKC called that a precondition. That’s the only thing that I’m not thrilled about ‘cause whenever he has some ear infection, that’s not covered. Other than that, the insurance is of high quality and customer service has been good. I'm very satisfied with my experience with them.

We adopted our dog through Lab Rescue, and he came with a three-month policy from AKC. We’ve filed a couple of claims and we’ve always been very satisfied. The only problem that I had with the last time was with the animal ER that we were staying in. Close to a year ago we had our dog in the animal ER for a stomach issue. He had severe diarrhea that he was pooping straight blood. I took a claims form with me when he was checked in and the ER admitted him overnight. They had the form but the vet that was on didn’t fill it out and it took me two weeks to get them to do their part. Once they did their part, I was fine. We have used the policy three times and we’ve always gotten a check within two weeks of filing. We've never had any questions on what the vets have written down so it's been a very good experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Pet Insurance?

Pet insurance is a necessary evil like all insurance. I got it for my young dogs because I had older dogs where my expenses on them got exorbitant so I'm getting the lower premium knowing that someday I'll need it for them when they're older. I purchased the pet insurance from AKC and it was easy to contact them either over the phone or online. They're very friendly and helpful as well.

AKC Pet Insurance

We are so glad that you have chosen join the AKC Pet Insurance family. We hope your little one is doing well. If you have any further question about your coverage please don't hesitate to call. We are here to help.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

I received the complimentary 30 days when I registered one of my dogs to AKC Pet insurance. Then we had an incident during our 30 days where she broke her toe and realized we were gonna need a continued service. They were very helpful and polite. They answered all my questions, emailed me information, and sent me a website link. I could call as many times as I wanted and they were always glad to help me. It's turning out to be valuable for our little one.

AKC Pet Insurance

We are so glad to hear that your experiences have been satisfactory. Thank you for recommending AKC Pet Insurance.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

I've always been an American Kennel Club fan, and when I saw them on the internet, I decided that I would take that insurance for my pet. Also, my daughter has dogs and she's the one that insisted I had to have it. They had more options than other providers, too. The experience was wonderful. I printed the form on the internet, took it to my vet, AKC completed the process within a matter of weeks, then I was reimbursed. They are a great insurance company and I'd recommend them to anyone.

AKC Pet Insurance

Welcome to the AKC Pet Insurance family and thank you for your recommendations.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

My experience with AKC Pet Insurance was good. I own a 146-pound Rottweiler, and having a pet insurance is very valuable to me because he's my baby. I want to protect him as he gets older, and make sure that everything is covered. With it, I don't have to worry. I've already recommended AKC Pet Insurance to a few people.

AKC Pet Insurance

We are sorry to hear that your cat has not been feeling well. According to our records your cat was treated for Giardia, Capillary, and round worms as well as a UTI. The UTI was eligible for coverage which was applied towards your deductible. However, Giardia, Capillary, and round worms are different forms of internal parasites, which are a specific exclusion in our terms and conditions making them ineligible for coverage. We hope that you understand that your claim was process according to the terms and conditions. We hope that your cat is feeling better. If you have any specific questions regarding this claim we will be happy answer them over the phone.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2016

I was just about to sign up for pet insurance with this company as my certificate from the shelter was expiring. As a matter of fact, I was going to call them this afternoon after work and set it up. Yet, I log into my email to find that they are not reimbursing anything out of a 327.00 bill. My kitten was showing signs of a UTI. This would qualify as an illness. She ended up having a specific type of worm that is not heartworm, roundworm, etc, but Capillaria. Capillaria affect the bladder and cause urination problems. The only treatment for Capillaria is NOT a regular wellness regimen like Revolution or Advantage or a basic dewormer. Let me tell you how rare Capillaria is...when the results came back, my vet had to actually find out what it was and had not had an animal test positive for it in over 14 years. It requires a prescription only medication that was prescribed after my vet spoke to an internal specialist. I had to pay for two fecal kits for testing.

My policy clearly says it covers lab tests which this is x 2. She was given three prescription meds in addition to Revolution (which is a prescription in itself.) Out of 327.00, they applied only 57 to the deductible and are claiming the rest was denied because it was wellness for the regular kind of worms you see that Revolution would aid with. Revolution does NOT, I repeat NOT work for Capillaria. I don't know if the free certificate is that you sign up, you feel safe, you then sign up and pay for policies before you have to submit a claim, so you don't know you won't be covered. But they lost a customer today and I will be expressing this to the tons of people I know who have pets and were interested in getting pet insurance after I told them I was seeing how it went.

My service dog's trainer told me about AKC Pet Insurance and heavily recommended it. Signing up for it was very easy. There was a free trial and we just continued it from there. Since I have a working dog, I need him to be in top health, and sometimes I need financial help. The insurance is very valuable and it makes me feel secure about my dog.

Pet insurance is very important so we've had our dog insured with AKC Pet Insurance since March. When he was a puppy, he got some shots and I got some money back for that. Their claim process was very easy. They’re very good and the money comes fast.

Factual basis uncertain

AKC Pet Insurance

We are so sorry to hear that your dog is experiencing health issues. According to our records your dog was seen for recurrent hair loss. According to the medical records received during the investigation of your claim the recurrent hair loss had been ongoing since February 2015. Since your pets policy did not start until March 2015, the condition is pre-existing to coverage and unfortunately not eligible for coverage. We also reviewed the phone call you made with us asking if our policies covered allergies; at that time the customer service representative did explain that allergies are eligible if it was something new and not something that had been ongoing. As the customer service representative explained allergies can be eligible for coverage but like any illness or injury, our terms and conditions do not provide coverage if something is present prior to the start of the policy. We sincerely hope that Coco makes a quick recovery.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2016

When I adopted my French Bulldog, I changed the registration and AKC offered me the opportunity to buy health insurance through them. I was a policyholder from the day that I registered her with me until a month ago when I canceled it. During the adoption, they told me she had seasonal allergies and it was on her papers. Also, she would need to have allergy medications ahead of time when she gets the vaccines from the vet. That was all that they had, no other information, and they took her to clinics in Manhattan. So they didn’t really have anything else and I had four pieces of paper to go with her.

So I took her to my vet and I gave them all the information I had. When she was due for vaccinations, they pretreated her with the allergy med first. And after one of the vaccinations in October, she had a little bit of Alopecia on one side. But I began to notice that it happened again right on the other side in her rear flank. Then she got all these spots all over her after the vaccination. I took her back to the vet and he was very concerned. He suggested I take her to a dermatologist which I did. I called AKC ahead of time and told them everything. I said it could be very costly and that I’m gonna do it no matter what. The skin testing alone would have been almost $1,000 and they said it's absolutely covered. They told me to bring the paperwork to them and they'll take care of sending it in, which they did.

Then I got a denial because her records say she had seasonal allergies and it was preexisting. I told them it was an allergy to an injection. I never ever board her. I have only gone away from her in the last year and a half twice overnight and a relative comes and stays with her at my house. I've never ever put her in a kennel. Then they even denied the one injection that I didn’t need to get her and which I won’t ever do again. They said I could appeal, but it’s not gonna do any good.

So I spent money for them faithfully every single month then I can’t even use it? I’m not a wealthy person and the $35 a month is hard. I was so hoping I would never need to use it and that the money can go to somebody else whose dog does. But then it came to that I needed it, and I was flat out denied after I even called and spoke with someone ahead of time. At least I had a $250 deductible which I had already met from the visit at the vet’s and the specialists were wonderful. It was the first time I ever had health insurance for a dog but it was not a good experience.

AKC Pet Insurance

We are so glad to hear that your experience has been positive and helpful. Please let us know if you ever have any questions regarding your coverage.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

AKC Pet Insurance sent me something online and they gave me a 30-day free trial. So, I was already set up with it and it was easy to step into it. I’ve only been a member for about a month and the woman that I spoke with was really knowledgeable. I had a couple of questions and she knew immediately what the answers were. Overall, my experience was limited but it was positive.

AKC Pet Insurance

We are so glad that you choose to register your puppy and take advantage of our pet insurance certificate. Thank you for choosing AKC Pet Insurance as your pet insurance provider.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2016

I looked AKC up when the breeder gave us the AKC stuff. I wasn’t going to register my puppy with AKC. Plus, I’m going to have him fixed because he had a hernia so he shouldn’t be bred. Then, I saw that if you register with the AKC, you get one free month of pet insurance. It sounded good and I did more research and looked at six different insurance companies for pets, and AKC was the best. They have the best build-your-own plan. They're the only one that had a $100 deductible when all the other plans out there were $200 or $250. You could set your limits for the year. A lot of the other ones didn’t offer that.

It's a very good idea to have a pet insurance. They’re covered if your animal was well when you took out the policy, and that’s reasonable. I had a cat quite a long time ago that developed a malignant tumor somewhere in her gastrointestinal system. She had surgery and survived it. I could not have afforded $3,500 to do that, but the insurance that I had at that time covered it. However, I wasn’t satisfied with the insurance and I thought that AKC would be a better choice. So far, I am satisfied and very pleased. When I take one of my four cats and two dogs to the vet, the vet will fax in the claim form for me and AKC gets in touch with me to tell me they got the form and are considering it and then I get a check. The process could be quicker but it’s the way they do it.

When I registered my puppy, I learned about AKC. They've been around for a while and I chose them for their name. My puppy insurance expired last September 19th so we rolled right over into the new thing. I'm very grateful to have her covered because she is my BFF.

AKC Pet Insurance

We are so glad to hear that your puppy has made a full recovery and that we were able to help with some of the expenses incurred.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

Our dog was diagnosed with what the vet thought might have been puppy strangles. I submitted the claims to AKC insurance that were pertaining to the medications and the visits. She's perfectly fine and came through real well with her condition. But we’ve had very little refunded in terms of what we paid out.

AKC Pet Insurance

We are so sorry to hear that your dog is not well. We are however, happy to hear that your experience was positive and helpful. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to the day that we can serve you again.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

I chose AKC because of their pricing but I actually only had the policy for about a week. I started it in early September and then I had to end it. My dog wasn't diagnosed yet and she was sick but nobody knew what was wrong with her. Then I found out that she had a really bad form of cancer and the policy wasn’t gonna cover anything because it was a pre-existing condition and it was too late to use. But they were so nice about it, let me cancel over the phone, and didn’t keep me tied in any contract. I told the girl that I will definitely be getting it earlier for my next dog and go with the same company because they were so nice to me on the phone. It was a great experience overall.

AKC Pet Insurance

We are so glad that you decided that pet insurance was an important investment in your pet’s future. We have looked into the claims in question and apologize that there has been some confusion. It appears that the claim submitted on your wellness visit was in fact denied by our system in error, which we spoke with you about yesterday. Our system shows that we have corrected this and that your check for this claim should be in the mail today. However, reimbursement was denied for the Pyoderma (skin infection) because the onset of the infection fell within the 5 day waiting period. Again we apologize for the confusion and we hope that your pet is on the road to recovery.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

So I purchased AKC Pet Insurance because AKC is a trusted brand. Well, I submitted three claims for vet visits, one for a wellness checkup and two for my GS having worms. According to my policy documents, I have the CompanionPlus, DefenderPlus, ExamCare, and InheritedPlus, and my coverage covers De-Worming and Heartworm Prevention. But, since this was not diagnosed during the annual checkup... it's excluded. In fact, all my claims were denied... WHAT?!? So if I understand correctly, I pay almost $700 in premiums annually, and my dog can only get sick once a year around the annual checkup... This is a big disappointment and I'm currently looking at other Pet Insurers to avoid misleading/dishonest vendors like this.

AKC Pet Insurance

We are so glad to hear that your experience has been positive and helpful. Please let us know if you have any questions regarding your coverage.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

When I got my dog, her parents were AKC-registered. She's a pure-bred German Shepherd and I got her policy shortly after I got her. Every time I talk to anyone there, they're very pleasant and very nice. Recently, I got a different card number and I forgot to update it so they called me and reminded me to do it. So I got it fixed and it was really simple.

Having a pet insurance is very valuable because medical costs on pet care are skyrocketing. My wife told me about AKC Pet Insurance and we've been a policyholder for about five months. At present, we're getting pet medication from them.

The puppy we bought came with a trial and the breeder referred us to AKC Pet Insurance. So far, it's been good. We haven’t had any problems and our animals have been healthy so far.

AKC Pet Insurance

We are sorry that you feel mislead by the conversations with our customer service representative and that your claim was not eligible for coverage. Your claim was processed according to the terms and conditions of your policy. The additional medical records indicated that your dog was diagnosed with two forms of internal parasites. Please understand that parasites are a specific exclusion in the terms and conditions that is not eligible for coverage under any of our policies. We do hope that your puppy has recovered well.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

My dog went to the ER in July and a claim was then filed to be reimbursed for that visit because I had a puppy insurance plan. My bill was $700, it took them until today September 20th to tell me they would not be reimbursing for a single thing. After I was given dollar amounts of reimbursement by an associate of theirs last week and confirmation of reimbursement by an associates of theirs yesterday. A new associate contacted me today and basically said, "Forget what everyone else has told you for the last 2 months, we're actually not paying you for anything because we found a new reason to screw you over and keep our money." This company is a joke. I recommend no one get this insurance plan.

AKC Pet Insurance

We are so glad that you choose AKC Pet Insurance as your pet insurance provider. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your recommendation.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

My dog came with a free trial insurance from AKC and I just kept it going. I've made two payments and I've been with them for three months now. The last time I called, I asked about the claim forms I was supposed to send. Every time I call them, they’re very friendly and I never had any problems with them. Overall, it’s good to have a pet insurance because in my past experience, I never had one with my old dog who ended up getting sick, and the payments were pretty big. So once you get insurance, it helps you a lot, and for me, it’s very valuable for my dogs to have them from now on. I will recommend AKC to everybody.

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

Most people that have an animal in New York City and have had a fallback insurance have said two words: pet insurance. My wife did a lot of the homework, and AKC was competitively priced and more broadly accepted. It was easy to find a local vet. There was a local animal hospital with a very good reputation that took the insurance. There have been no problems at all with AKC compared to the problems I have with everybody else. It’s been pretty good and I’d recommend it to anybody.

AKC Pet Insurance

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are so glad to hear that you choose to keep the insurance and that it was there for you when you needed it. We hope Max is recovering well.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

My son got AKC Pet Insurance for Max when he was just 6 weeks old. Max is now eight. My son could not take him because he moved out of town. I now got Max and my son switched the insurance over to me. It's been a good insurance, so I can't complain. It got kind of pricey, but we've had it so long that I've just continued to keep it. Recently, Max had pancreatitis so he had to go to the vet. I just had the vet fill out the paperwork while I'm there and emailed it to them. It was a smooth process. Every time I've called, they've been real nice and handled things really well.

I knew AKC Pet Insurance through the kennel club and have been a policyholder for six months now. There was another pet insurance company who was billing me and I was paying them, not AKC. I got in a bit of trouble with AKC for that but I got that straightened out now.

My dog was AKC-registered and I got a trial period of their insurance. Currently, they’re still working on a claim for me. But it would make the process a lot easier if they had an app just like other insurances have now.

AKC Pet Insurance

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are so glad that you chose AKC Pet Insurance to provide you and your pet with the peace of mind you deserve.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2016

The breeder of my dog signed up for the AKC Certification and also for the insurance for the first year. I kept it going. I submitted a claim a few weeks ago for the dog's follow-up shots. They emailed me back and let me know that it withdrew my deductible. I really like having the insurance.

AKC Pet Insurance Company Profile