Consumer Reviews and Complaints

We got AKC 8 years ago and everything I've ever experienced with them has been incredibly positive. I think if someone can afford pet insurance, they should have it, and I think AKC is one of the better ones. In fact, I have recommended it over and over again. However, AKC should educate the veterinarians about them because they're the ones people like me go to if we have questions on which pet insurance companies they like working with, and the people at the vets' offices know nothing.

We have had a Shepherd many years before and never had insurance for that dog. Pets can have problems and they can be very expensive if there are serious problems so I would rather pay for pet insurance and make sure that our boys were covered and taken care of. AKC was the only one that was recommended so we went with them. Our old veterinarian was farther than the new veterinarian and there are several people on the street where I live that use the new veterinarian, so we changed. When the dogs had to be re-evaluated for the new vet, they immediately just sent off what they did to the insurance company and we were reimbursed for what was covered immediately.

I’m very happy to have the insurance and we were compensated very quickly after we had a problem or went to the vet. There have been some changes in the coverage and we don’t get compensated as much as before because there is a cut-off time. But I really find that it’s very valuable to have the AKC insurance. Another thing about AKC was that our dog thoroughbred like horses and I felt that they were a very important one to support and to have them support us. Overall, it was an excellent experience.

The cost of veterinary care is outrageous, so I looked into acquiring a pet insurance. Having a pet insurance is very valuable. I tell people all the time to get it. Whether they use it or not, it’s a great benefit because when our dog gets sick, it comes in handy. It gives peace of mind. Years ago, I’ve done a research, and AKC was really beautiful and it's the only one available. I trusted AKC so I went with their insurance on two of my Golden Retrievers at that time in the early 90’s.

Right now, I’ve got only one of my Goldens on AKC Pet Insurance. I have my other on another insurance program because I wanted to see the difference. I really love AKC Pet Insurance but I have some complaints. The last few times, it took them anywhere from two to three months to pay my claims. I can’t leave the AKC Pet Insurance because my dog has conditions that won’t allow him to pick up insurance anywhere else. I love that AKC pays better, but I’m really upset with how long they’re taking to pay and I don’t understand why the vet has to sign all the claim forms if there are the receipts that go in with it. It’s the only company I know of that require that.

My dog is AKC-registered. I set up an insurance policy and the insurance people were very helpful.

I have a Leonberger puppy which is a huge breed of dog. My breeder gave me all the information and she suggested AKC. It was very easy to sign up for and it didn't take very long. I also had a lot of options on what I could do and the price was fair. I only called them to find out how I download the claim form and the gal answered back for me. So, I went online then they emailed me back the contract. I went ahead and printed it and put in the name of my dog. I've submitted a claim and it wasn't submitted right so my vet resubmitted it. What's really nice is that my vet sent the claim form in. So if I have to make any other claims, they have it already there at the vet. But, I haven't heard anything back from them.

My daughter-in-law found AKC Pet Insurance on the internet and we got it for our dog that was in training. She’s a breeder dog in the family of a German Shepherd that was used for sniffing out drugs. Signing up with AKC was easy and my daughter-in-law handled everything for us. The people over there were very nice too when I spoke with them. However, the dog was too rough on us so we sold it to a lady and her husband who trained and bred dogs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Pet Insurance?

Having a pet insurance is extremely valuable like any other insurance. AKC Pet Insurance's pricing was comparable to other insurance providers and it was easy to use their website. I usually send the receipt to them and the person at the vet was trying to be helpful. But they sent the wrong receipt, so I had to call Pet Partners and I got very good customer service on the phone. So far, everything has been as advertised.

When I registered my dog with AKC I was given a one-month free trial on their pet insurance. This is my second pet that I’ve had insurance for. My first dog that I had it with passed away and it did come in very handy. I noticed that AKC's policy is a little different. I had a larger deductible than the other policy that I had but that’s okay. I just feel like I have a very expensive dog and I have to have very good insurance. But signing up for this was very simple and easy. The people explained the policy and were wonderful to talk to. I was very happy with their service.

I have used AKC for a couple of claims and the only thing is that they're slow at it. Once you file a claim and sent it there, it takes about 30 days before you get any response. I think that's kind of long. Then, I had to file stuff out for my other vet, and I had to give AKC information to get stuff for the vet. That was the first time but the second time wasn't so bad.

I had gone online to register my new puppy with AKC because he's a purebred. That's how I learned about the insurance option. It's user-friendly as far as when I've had to take the puppy to the vet for regular routine care and services. It's willing to file the paperwork for us so I got reimbursed within a reasonable amount of time. It's been a very easy process so far. But when I tried to call once, they were short-staffed and the girl apologized. This was early on when I first took out the policy and I had a question. That would be the only thing. Maybe they can have the customer not having long wait times or if they can avoid it. Besides that, I would definitely recommend AKC Pet Insurance.

I got AKC Pet Insurance for my first dog, a Doberman, when she was young about three years ago. The insurance I have now doesn't really cover anything when they get sick. It is more of an accident insurance. I could pay more and get illnesses covered but that's a lot of money.

I've been a member of AKC Pet Insurance for nine years now. My first dog, who's no longer with us, had a very bad health problem and I would not have been able to treat her as I did had it not been for the insurance. It was expensive and I ended up with a ton of out-of-pocket expenses, but AKC paid a lot too. They defrayed enough that it made it doable for me and I am always grateful for that.

In my most recent experience, my girl dog that had some measles issues. She went for three visits to the vet and I got $200 and something back for the visits and the meds from AKC. It was pretty good. I'm sad, though, that they moved the dental to the higher paying policy, which is really expensive. My dogs have their dental every year. Having the dental paid for was one of the big draws for me. That's one of the things I do preventatively for my dogs and I miss having that be paid for. I wish that they would make that more accessible. Other than that, I've recommended AKC to many people.

The vet's office gave us a free month of the AKC, that's why we stayed with it. But every time I go to the vet, I send my forms in and nothing seemed to be covered. Like when my puppy had an ear infection and I thought that was covered. But I never seem to get back what I put into it, which is why I think they call it an insurance. So I'm not thrilled with the plan, and I don't think it paid for the neutering as well.

I don't get any information from them. I get no regular mailings from them. I don't even know when I'm paying my policy. I wasn't even sure if I still had the policy with them until recently. It bothers me that I have to go after them for information. They should send me a statement every month. I'll be happy if I got that. I was thinking of changing to my old company again. I had Pet's Health before with my other dog and they're comparably priced with AKC, but Pet's Health gave me more benefits than AKC did. Also, they were all kinds of warm and fuzzy and friendly whenever I call, and much more concerned for me and my dog than AKC seems to be.

My pets are registered in the AKC. I wanted them covered by insurance because bills can be very high and they qualify since they're full blooded. It's very clear in the contract we signed what they cover and what they don't. I submit the claim and either they pay it or don't pay it. In the last six months, AKC Pet Insurance has become extremely prompt in answering a claim submission which is a huge turnaround and a plus for them. They used to take forever.

When I bought my dog, it came with a 30-day complimentary insurance from AKC and I got the coverage from them after that. My daughter who works for a very large animal hospital was talking about Trupanion but I did not have complaints about AKC so I didn't change. I have never submitted a claim but when I called to find out about AKC's services, their reps answered all my questions. I called the other day to add my daughter as a second owner to the dog and they've been awesome. Her working at an animal hospital, we’re gonna pay half of the bill which is better for the insurance anyway. The coverage from AKC is also much better. The only difference is AKC just covers dogs while the other one covers the bunny that my daughter has. Everything is A+ with AKC.

I've been a policyholder with AKC Pet Insurance for two years. Overall, it's been good with them. It's very valuable to have pet insurance. Recently, my credit card was blocked and I had to give AKC a new credit card. My dog has allergies and I don’t know if he’s capable of being reimbursed for that. But I probably won't use the insurance unless my dog has a catastrophic problem, like cancer.

AKC Pet Insurance was part of the package when we got the puppy. I just had to apply it. It's been good and easy with AKC. If I needed additional documentation, they went back to the vet. If the vet wasn't cooperating, then we would intervene and push the vet to give to AKC the information they needed. It was very clear and specific on how everything worked. It’s been an outstanding experience with them.

I've been quite pleased with AKC Pet Insurance for my first dog and my current dog. We lost our first dog two months ago. She had to have a very serious surgery the first of September and it would have been a worse nightmare. The surgery was over $5,000 and that was covered. The limit of the policy we had was $5,000 on an incident, although I was able to increase that to $10,000 for our other dog, for the future. That was a lesson we learned along the way and the policy covers the dental.

However, the second dog had some ear issue when we first got the policy and AKC called that a precondition. That’s the only thing that I’m not thrilled about ‘cause whenever he has some ear infection, that’s not covered. Other than that, the insurance is of high quality and customer service has been good. I'm very satisfied with my experience with them.

We adopted our dog through Lab Rescue, and he came with a three-month policy from AKC. We’ve filed a couple of claims and we’ve always been very satisfied. The only problem that I had with the last time was with the animal ER that we were staying in. Close to a year ago we had our dog in the animal ER for a stomach issue. He had severe diarrhea that he was pooping straight blood. I took a claims form with me when he was checked in and the ER admitted him overnight. They had the form but the vet that was on didn’t fill it out and it took me two weeks to get them to do their part. Once they did their part, I was fine. We have used the policy three times and we’ve always gotten a check within two weeks of filing. We've never had any questions on what the vets have written down so it's been a very good experience.

Pet insurance is a necessary evil like all insurance. I got it for my young dogs because I had older dogs where my expenses on them got exorbitant so I'm getting the lower premium knowing that someday I'll need it for them when they're older. I purchased the pet insurance from AKC and it was easy to contact them either over the phone or online. They're very friendly and helpful as well.

AKC Pet Insurance

We are so glad that you have chosen join the AKC Pet Insurance family. We hope your little one is doing well. If you have any further question about your coverage please don't hesitate to call. We are here to help.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

I received the complimentary 30 days when I registered one of my dogs to AKC Pet insurance. Then we had an incident during our 30 days where she broke her toe and realized we were gonna need a continued service. They were very helpful and polite. They answered all my questions, emailed me information, and sent me a website link. I could call as many times as I wanted and they were always glad to help me. It's turning out to be valuable for our little one.

AKC Pet Insurance

We are so glad to hear that your experiences have been satisfactory. Thank you for recommending AKC Pet Insurance.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

I've always been an American Kennel Club fan, and when I saw them on the internet, I decided that I would take that insurance for my pet. Also, my daughter has dogs and she's the one that insisted I had to have it. They had more options than other providers, too. The experience was wonderful. I printed the form on the internet, took it to my vet, AKC completed the process within a matter of weeks, then I was reimbursed. They are a great insurance company and I'd recommend them to anyone.

AKC Pet Insurance

Welcome to the AKC Pet Insurance family and thank you for your recommendations.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

My experience with AKC Pet Insurance was good. I own a 146-pound Rottweiler, and having a pet insurance is very valuable to me because he's my baby. I want to protect him as he gets older, and make sure that everything is covered. With it, I don't have to worry. I've already recommended AKC Pet Insurance to a few people.

AKC Pet Insurance

We are sorry to hear that your cat has not been feeling well. According to our records your cat was treated for Giardia, Capillary, and round worms as well as a UTI. The UTI was eligible for coverage which was applied towards your deductible. However, Giardia, Capillary, and round worms are different forms of internal parasites, which are a specific exclusion in our terms and conditions making them ineligible for coverage. We hope that you understand that your claim was process according to the terms and conditions. We hope that your cat is feeling better. If you have any specific questions regarding this claim we will be happy answer them over the phone.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2016

I was just about to sign up for pet insurance with this company as my certificate from the shelter was expiring. As a matter of fact, I was going to call them this afternoon after work and set it up. Yet, I log into my email to find that they are not reimbursing anything out of a 327.00 bill. My kitten was showing signs of a UTI. This would qualify as an illness. She ended up having a specific type of worm that is not heartworm, roundworm, etc, but Capillaria. Capillaria affect the bladder and cause urination problems. The only treatment for Capillaria is NOT a regular wellness regimen like Revolution or Advantage or a basic dewormer. Let me tell you how rare Capillaria is...when the results came back, my vet had to actually find out what it was and had not had an animal test positive for it in over 14 years. It requires a prescription only medication that was prescribed after my vet spoke to an internal specialist. I had to pay for two fecal kits for testing.

My policy clearly says it covers lab tests which this is x 2. She was given three prescription meds in addition to Revolution (which is a prescription in itself.) Out of 327.00, they applied only 57 to the deductible and are claiming the rest was denied because it was wellness for the regular kind of worms you see that Revolution would aid with. Revolution does NOT, I repeat NOT work for Capillaria. I don't know if the free certificate is that you sign up, you feel safe, you then sign up and pay for policies before you have to submit a claim, so you don't know you won't be covered. But they lost a customer today and I will be expressing this to the tons of people I know who have pets and were interested in getting pet insurance after I told them I was seeing how it went.

My service dog's trainer told me about AKC Pet Insurance and heavily recommended it. Signing up for it was very easy. There was a free trial and we just continued it from there. Since I have a working dog, I need him to be in top health, and sometimes I need financial help. The insurance is very valuable and it makes me feel secure about my dog.

Pet insurance is very important so we've had our dog insured with AKC Pet Insurance since March. When he was a puppy, he got some shots and I got some money back for that. Their claim process was very easy. They’re very good and the money comes fast.

Factual basis uncertain

AKC Pet Insurance

We are so sorry to hear that your dog is experiencing health issues. According to our records your dog was seen for recurrent hair loss. According to the medical records received during the investigation of your claim the recurrent hair loss had been ongoing since February 2015. Since your pets policy did not start until March 2015, the condition is pre-existing to coverage and unfortunately not eligible for coverage. We also reviewed the phone call you made with us asking if our policies covered allergies; at that time the customer service representative did explain that allergies are eligible if it was something new and not something that had been ongoing. As the customer service representative explained allergies can be eligible for coverage but like any illness or injury, our terms and conditions do not provide coverage if something is present prior to the start of the policy. We sincerely hope that Coco makes a quick recovery.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2016

When I adopted my French Bulldog, I changed the registration and AKC offered me the opportunity to buy health insurance through them. I was a policyholder from the day that I registered her with me until a month ago when I canceled it. During the adoption, they told me she had seasonal allergies and it was on her papers. Also, she would need to have allergy medications ahead of time when she gets the vaccines from the vet. That was all that they had, no other information, and they took her to clinics in Manhattan. So they didn’t really have anything else and I had four pieces of paper to go with her.

So I took her to my vet and I gave them all the information I had. When she was due for vaccinations, they pretreated her with the allergy med first. And after one of the vaccinations in October, she had a little bit of Alopecia on one side. But I began to notice that it happened again right on the other side in her rear flank. Then she got all these spots all over her after the vaccination. I took her back to the vet and he was very concerned. He suggested I take her to a dermatologist which I did. I called AKC ahead of time and told them everything. I said it could be very costly and that I’m gonna do it no matter what. The skin testing alone would have been almost $1,000 and they said it's absolutely covered. They told me to bring the paperwork to them and they'll take care of sending it in, which they did.

Then I got a denial because her records say she had seasonal allergies and it was preexisting. I told them it was an allergy to an injection. I never ever board her. I have only gone away from her in the last year and a half twice overnight and a relative comes and stays with her at my house. I've never ever put her in a kennel. Then they even denied the one injection that I didn’t need to get her and which I won’t ever do again. They said I could appeal, but it’s not gonna do any good.

So I spent money for them faithfully every single month then I can’t even use it? I’m not a wealthy person and the $35 a month is hard. I was so hoping I would never need to use it and that the money can go to somebody else whose dog does. But then it came to that I needed it, and I was flat out denied after I even called and spoke with someone ahead of time. At least I had a $250 deductible which I had already met from the visit at the vet’s and the specialists were wonderful. It was the first time I ever had health insurance for a dog but it was not a good experience.

AKC Pet Insurance

We are so glad to hear that your experience has been positive and helpful. Please let us know if you ever have any questions regarding your coverage.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

AKC Pet Insurance sent me something online and they gave me a 30-day free trial. So, I was already set up with it and it was easy to step into it. I’ve only been a member for about a month and the woman that I spoke with was really knowledgeable. I had a couple of questions and she knew immediately what the answers were. Overall, my experience was limited but it was positive.

AKC Pet Insurance

We are so glad that you choose to register your puppy and take advantage of our pet insurance certificate. Thank you for choosing AKC Pet Insurance as your pet insurance provider.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2016

I looked AKC up when the breeder gave us the AKC stuff. I wasn’t going to register my puppy with AKC. Plus, I’m going to have him fixed because he had a hernia so he shouldn’t be bred. Then, I saw that if you register with the AKC, you get one free month of pet insurance. It sounded good and I did more research and looked at six different insurance companies for pets, and AKC was the best. They have the best build-your-own plan. They're the only one that had a $100 deductible when all the other plans out there were $200 or $250. You could set your limits for the year. A lot of the other ones didn’t offer that.

It's a very good idea to have a pet insurance. They’re covered if your animal was well when you took out the policy, and that’s reasonable. I had a cat quite a long time ago that developed a malignant tumor somewhere in her gastrointestinal system. She had surgery and survived it. I could not have afforded $3,500 to do that, but the insurance that I had at that time covered it. However, I wasn’t satisfied with the insurance and I thought that AKC would be a better choice. So far, I am satisfied and very pleased. When I take one of my four cats and two dogs to the vet, the vet will fax in the claim form for me and AKC gets in touch with me to tell me they got the form and are considering it and then I get a check. The process could be quicker but it’s the way they do it.

When I registered my puppy, I learned about AKC. They've been around for a while and I chose them for their name. My puppy insurance expired last September 19th so we rolled right over into the new thing. I'm very grateful to have her covered because she is my BFF.

AKC Pet Insurance Company Profile