2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.43/5

Take a Pet Insurance Quiz. Get matched with an Accredited Partner.

Since 2003, AKC Pet Insurance has served as the exclusive pet insurance provider for the American Kennel Club through its incorporated name, PetPartners. AKC Pet Insurance provides affordable, comprehensive pet health insurance to dogs and cats of all ages and breeds in all 50 states. AKC’s customizable policy options allow you to create a plan that fits your individual needs and budget.

BOTTOM LINE

AKC Pet Insurance provides customizable coverage for dogs and cats with an easy application process and low prices. Offers a multipet discount and full refunds within 30 days for dissatisfied customers.

PROS

• Full 30-day refund
    • Multipet discount
    • Customizable plans

CONS

• Only covers dogs and cats

Top AKC Pet Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Pet Insurance?

Having pet insurance is totally valuable and AKC has always been very good with any claims. I've never had anything denied that should have been accepted. So they've always been honest. There's never been any questions on the billing or the claims either. They're also fast responders.

Right after we got our Golden Retriever, she contracted something from some other dogs at a dog park and she was really sick. We took her to the doctor and the AKC health insurance really helped us a lot. The bill was gonna be $2,400 and after the insurance, it only cost us $900.

Take a Pet Insurance Quiz. Get matched with an Accredited Partner.

How does AKC Pet Insurance work?

American Kennel Club has more than 135 years of experience supporting the research and health of purebred dogs, so it was only natural that it added pet insurance to its list of services. Administered by PetPartners Inc., AKC Pet Insurance offers pet insurance to dogs and cats in all 50 states and tailors its plans to fit your budget and your pet’s individualized needs.

You can receive a customized quote by following the simple process on the AKC Pet Insurance website:

1. Provide a few details about your pet.
        2. Select the type of deductible, coinsurance, annual limit, coverage and add-ons you desire.
        3. Get your pet insurance quote in real time.

Once you apply, there is a two-day waiting period for accident coverage and a 14-day waiting period for illness coverage. A wellness exam is not a requirement to receive AKC Pet Insurance, and the company offers a discount for each pet you cover.

Customer service representatives are available via phone or live online chat to answer questions about the application process or any of the available plans. You can also submit an inquiry using the email form on the company's website. AKC Pet Insurance offers to refund your entire premium if you’re not satisfied with your coverage and haven’t filed a claim in the first 30 days.

What does AKC Pet Insurance cover?

All American Kennel Club Pet Insurance plans begin with the Accident & Illness base plan, which covers x-rays, ultrasounds, medications, emergency care and hospital stays for any accident or new illness.

In addition to accident and illness coverage, AKC Pet Insurance customers can take advantage of several add-ons for a completely customized plan:

• Exam coverage: This option reimburses customers for exam fees and veterinarian visit charges regardless of the procedures or treatments performed on your pet. This coverage includes specialty clinics and emergency visits.
        • Hereditary coverage: Certain breeds are susceptible to various chronic or genetic conditions. This additional insurance coverage protects your wallet from extra charges as a result of the tests or treatments required to remedy these conditions.
        • Wellness coverage: This coverage helps keep your pet in top shape with reimbursement for treatments such as flea and tick prevention, vaccinations, spaying, neutering and microchipping. Wellness coverage is available with the Defender or DefenderPlus plans.
        • Final respects: This insurance covers add-on costs associated with cremation, urns and other necessities.

AKC Pet Insurance does not cover preexisting conditions, wellness and routine care, grooming services, breeding care or elective procedures. Additionally, certain areas of coverage, including holistic plans or behavioral problems, are not available in all states. There is also a waiting period, which means newly signed pets must wait two days to receive coverage for accidents and 14 days to receive coverage for illnesses.

AKC Pet Insurance price

AKC Pet Insurance costs typically range between $10 and $60 per month, depending on coverage level, pet breed and age. AKC cat insurance can be as low as $4 for a healthy, young cat, but AKC dog insurance tends to have slightly higher premiums. If you have multiple pets that need coverage, you’ll receive a 5% discount when enrolling more than one.

Gathering an AKC Pet Insurance quote is simple to do on the company’s website — just input your state of residence and your pet’s breed and age into the quote tool to determine coverage costs.

American Kennel Club Pet Insurance FAQ

Does AKC Pet Insurance cover shots?
        AKC Pet Insurance covers shots under the Defender and DefenderPlus Wellness Plans. These plans are available in addition to the base Accidents & Illness plan.
        How do I get an AKC Pet Insurance claim form?
        To file an AKC Pet Insurance claim, use the company’s website to access the AKC Pet Insurance claim form. You can submit your claim by email, mail or fax. If you need help filing a claim, reach out to an AKC Pet Insurance customer service representative.
        Does AKC Pet Insurance cover prescriptions?
        Yes, any of AKC Pet Insurance plans cover prescriptions as long as they’re not needed for preexisting conditions.

Is AKC Pet Insurance worth it?

AKC Pet Insurance is an excellent option for dog and cat owners who want inexpensive, customizable coverage with a wide variety of add-on options. AKC Pet Insurance's quote tool only requires your pet’s breed, age and location to give an initial quote. AKC customer service representatives are available by chat or phone to help you through the application process. The company only offers pet insurance for dogs and cats, but qualifying customers receive excellent coverage from a company that has 130 years of experience with purebred pets.

AKC Pet Insurance Reviews

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
        Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

We got our first dog and fell into the trap of getting AKC pet insurance instead of a more reputable brand. Our puppy had a severe illness a couple of months later, and not a single cent was reimbursed by the insurance plan - which was above and beyond the basic coverage at about $80/month. So, not only did we have expensive vet bills, but we just flushed nearly $500 down the drain for this “insurance plan.” Our vet clinic couldn’t believe the claims were denied. I am only writing this review to save others from the frustration and financial burden.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Patrick, we are sorry that you were unhappy with your pet insurance experience. Our customer care supervisor would be happy to speak with you about your concerns if you would please call 866-725-2747 and request to speak with Adam.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

If AKC can find any reason to deny a properly submitted claim they will! You purchase a one year policy only to be told many of the more expensive conditions requiring extensive treatment/surgery require a 6 month waiting period, ie torn ACL which is rather common in big dogs. It doesn’t take 6 months to weed out preexisting conditions with any policy, particularly when trauma related. Paid for one year of coverage but my $3500 surgery bill was denied because it occurred at 4 months rather than in the 7th month. Doesn’t seem fair or just.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

AKC has been the most difficult company to work with. Every time I have called in, they tell me I do not have anything covered and I need to add more things to my coverage. I have had them for a year and every time I add something, it doesn’t cover the next thing. Not only have I spent 1200$ on my dog out of pocket, I have had 0$ reimbursed. What have a been paying for? I would have rather have burned the money than given it to AKC.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

If I could leave 0 stars, I would. Our 1 year old pup has had to have 2 total hip replacement surgeries and now a knee surgery all by a phenomenal specialist from Blue Pearl (5 stars for them). AKC did not and will not cover any of those ($20,000 when it's all said and done) even though we have the premium package and our fur babies are AKC Good Citizen Certified. They lead you on into thinking you are fully covered but then fill you in on a 30-180 day waiting period, hidden fees, etc. After the poor customer service displayed by the AKC staff, we ended up canceling our coverage and they offered a $50 reimbursement which yes was appreciated, but at the end of the day, not enough. We would do any and everything for our dogs but unfortunately I can't say the same about AKC. Save your money and find a different pet insurance company. Just sad.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Having an insurance for my pet is valuable. I used to have AKC and I enjoyed them when I used them. I already canceled them, but they were very helpful.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

I've known about AKC for years. My experience with them has been great. I had gotten like a free 30-day and it had lapsed and thankfully, I was still in the grace period. I didn't realize that, but my mom had died and other things had been on my mind. AKC was very kind and let me go ahead and get my policy backdated with no lapse. I was impressed with the understanding and support.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I like my experience with AKC Pet Insurance. I called them to find out about the insurance and what to do. They were always polite, very nice, helpful, and understood what I was looking for. We have the wellness because my dog has a lot of issues. He had a torn ACL, which was 3,500 and I got 2,000 back. They cover a lot of the shots.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Everything’s been going good with AKC so far. I’m a little disappointed in part because of the reimbursements that I’ve been receiving. I have a top-of-the-notch insurance. I can’t pay any more. I have five pets, and I just don’t seem to be getting reimbursed like I used to when I had two Australian Shepherds. Now, I have three little Shelties and I’m not really pleased. I had been investigating other insurance companies. Sometimes I’ll submit a claim for maybe $500, and I might get like a $120 back. It’s not worth my while to have the insurance if that’s how my rates are going to be when I reimburse.

I’ve been with AKC over 15 years. Initially, when it didn't seem like I was getting enough reimbursement back, I called them about three years ago. I said, “Okay, I’m gonna get the top-of-the-notch insurance so I can get more money back with my claim.” But it seems to be like it’s less than more and I’m paying so much more. I pay about $498 for my five pets, and it’s not worth my while. I don’t get anywhere near that back because I don’t file that many claims to begin with. I had a vet bill just recently with my one Sheltie that’s only six years old. I had the teeth cleaned and out of about $500, I just got something like $150 back. I’m thinking, “What's the use?” I'll just save that $500 a month, and when something goes wrong, I'll have that money to pay for the vet bill. So, I’m disappointed in the amount of reimbursements.

When I had my Australian Shepherds and I would have their teeth cleaned, it seemed like I was getting at least maybe $400 back out of the teeth cleaning. Now, it’s just considerably less and it’s not right for me anymore. I’m paying more money. I wanna keep my pets covered. I’ve a vet-mentality that I definitely want them covered, but I’m getting tired of paying close to $6,000 a year and getting 1,000 back.

I know a lot of people go with AKC, and this is one of the reasons I did. They have show dogs and they want the best of care for them. When I had my Australian Shepherds, I felt the same way. I did get very good reimbursements at the time. But then, they fooled around and changed the policies and changed the reimbursements. And to me, they screwed it up and made it worse than before. They probably weren’t making enough money from people. I will explore other insurance companies. I have four I’m reviewing now. I would rather stay with AKC, but I refuse to pay the dollar amount I’ve paid them.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

My experience with AKC Pet Insurance has not been real good. I feel I’m locked into it because of pre-existing conditions. My dog Cleopatra is an English mastiff, and she had surgery because of entropion. AKC said it was a pre-existing condition. That’s not necessarily true because she had conjunctivitis, and that could’ve caused it. Other companies would’ve covered it. Then at the daycare, she broke a tooth. It was accidentally broken, but AKC wouldn’t cover it. I went to a specialist, and the extraction and the root canal were almost the same amount of money. The specialist said that because it was a canine and she’s a mastiff, they could break her jaw. I was denied that, so I paid for the root canal. Now, my premium’s gone up almost $100 a month and with a $5,000 limit. I’m not recommending AKC to people. I’ve gone online, which I should have done in the first place, and I’m recommending two other companies.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Right after we got our Golden Retriever, she contracted something from some other dogs at a dog park and she was really sick. We took her to the doctor and the AKC health insurance really helped us a lot. It saved us quite a bit of money. The bill was gonna be like $2,400 and after the insurance, it only cost us $900. Then recently, my wife took our dog in for a hurt foot. We weren't able to file a claim ‘cause it wasn’t big enough but we had met the deductible. I’ve had VPI in the past with my other dog and AKC was better.

AKC Pet Insurance Company Information