Consumer Reviews and Complaints

We got AKC 8 years ago and everything I've ever experienced with them has been incredibly positive. I think if someone can afford pet insurance, they should have it, and I think AKC is one of the better ones. In fact, I have recommended it over and over again. However, AKC should educate the veterinarians about them because they're the ones people like me go to if we have questions on which pet insurance companies they like working with, and the people at the vets' offices know nothing.

Having a pet insurance is very valuable. It's like having an insurance for yourself. I had a seven-year old Rottweiler mix with no health insurance who died of cancer and I had to pay everything out of pocket. I then started with AKC when it was still Pet Healthcare. After several years, I've heard other people getting other types of insurance which were cheaper than mine. But I have more coverage than theirs and I was very happy with the wellness, the medication and the surgery. I have AKC for 12 years now and my dog had several surgeries, illnesses, wellness checkups and she's on thyroid medicine and incontinence. They've been very kind.

However, I'm disappointed that I wasn't aware that I could have had more insurance for each special incident. And sometimes in getting the insurance coverage, one person will say one thing and one would say another. But overall, I've been very satisfied with AKC. When I call them, they've always answered my questions and they've been very good on the phone.

Poor customer experience. Submitted claim on 2/14/2017 and claim was finalized on 05/09/2017. Every time I would ask for clarification on what the policy covered, I would not get a straight answer. Disappointing that it had to take this long to be finalized and still have not been received benefits yet. I talked with Amy (customer service rep) and she could not tell me where or when I would receive, just that the EOB would be mailed out with the check. I talked to supervisor Adam on 5/2/2017 and he told me that I would receive a email of the EOB the next day and that did not happen; lack of communication. I would recommend looking at all your options before going with this company.

Several friends of ours have dogs and had problems. We also have a young dog and we want to be sure we were covered. My husband has been a policyholder of AKC Pet Insurance for three months now and it's peace of mind having a pet insurance. It is very valuable.

I am an AKC Pet Insurance policy holder for a few months now. Everything is straightforward dealing with them and they seemed the best insurance in the kennel club.

My puppy was registered to the AKC. There was a 30-day trial of the pet insurance and then I just stuck with it. I've been a policyholder for a year now and so far, my experience with them has been good. However, they make up charges for things like if I go in for X-rays and put a $2 medical disposal fee that doesn’t exist which my hospital doesn’t do. That’s the only thing that they can improve on.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Pet Insurance?

When I originally got my little guy, my Oreo, the pet store set up everything and they gave us all the AKC information. I called and we got the pet insurance. We had it for a good year but we didn't use it. So I called a month ago and asked to lower the payments a little bit. I spoke to Rose and she was such a sweetheart. She was able to lower the payments for us. In my experience, AKC has been reliable, friendly, understanding, and accommodating. The customer service has been really nice.

I've been with AKC for five years now and I have two dogs with them. The insurance gives me peace of mind, and I have confidence in the AKC brand. I'd recommend them.

Hi Erin,

We hope that your little girl has made a full recovery from her fractured tooth. You're correct, in that our policies exclude medical intervention to puppy, or non-permanent, teeth even if medically necessary. According to the Terms and Conditions of your policy, we will cover "medically necessary extractions for permanent broken teeth due to an accident." We apologize if you had any misunderstanding about your coverage. It appears that you chose to receive your policy documents via email and you would have have received them, including your Terms and Conditions, shortly after enrolling.

Additionally, we are sorry that we are not able to personally call each of our policyholders regarding their claims. We would love to be able to provide that service, but it is not possible with the number of claims we process. If you have any questions or need more clarification, we would be more than happy to talk to you. Please don't hesitate to call and ask for the Customer Service Supervisor. Again, we hope that your puppy is back to feeling 100%.

Regards,

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: April 3, 2017

My puppy had a fractured abscessed tooth that was medically required to be removed. I submitted a claim with AKC Pet Insurance but apparently, the insurance won't pay for anything but adult teeth and not puppy teeth. They denied my claim even though it's a medically necessary procedure. They didn't even call me. They just sent an email that said, “It's denied and here is why.” They made some reference and it says, "Only adult K-9 teeth will be covered." So, I'm not very happy that I just prepaid for the entire year.

I bought the dog in December and it came with 30 days of insurance. Before it lapsed, I talked with the AKC Pet Insurance people and they explained the programs they had and I made a decision then. Since I never had pet insurance, I was a novice. I didn't understand how it worked and it's difficult because I never did this before. But the young lady explained all of the different programs based on pricing, what it covered, what my deductible would be, and then I chose that fitted my needs. I took it out this time 'cause I paid all money for this dog to make sure that as it grows up it doesn't develop any problems that I can't afford to pay for. The person on the phone helped me put it into terms I could understand so that's what made it easy.

I made a phone call to AKC Pet Insurance to make sure what my coverage was, and the rep I spoke to was very nice. I've always had pet insurance before and it's extremely valuable to have.

We have had a Shepherd many years before and never had insurance for that dog. Pets can have problems and they can be very expensive if there are serious problems so I would rather pay for pet insurance and make sure that our boys were covered and taken care of. AKC was the only one that was recommended so we went with them. Our old veterinarian was farther than the new veterinarian and there are several people on the street where I live that use the new veterinarian, so we changed. When the dogs had to be re-evaluated for the new vet, they immediately just sent off what they did to the insurance company and we were reimbursed for what was covered immediately.

I’m very happy to have the insurance and we were compensated very quickly after we had a problem or went to the vet. There have been some changes in the coverage and we don’t get compensated as much as before because there is a cut-off time. But I really find that it’s very valuable to have the AKC insurance. Another thing about AKC was that our dog thoroughbred like horses and I felt that they were a very important one to support and to have them support us. Overall, it was an excellent experience.

The cost of veterinary care is outrageous, so I looked into acquiring a pet insurance. Having a pet insurance is very valuable. I tell people all the time to get it. Whether they use it or not, it’s a great benefit because when our dog gets sick, it comes in handy. It gives peace of mind. Years ago, I’ve done a research, and AKC was really beautiful and it's the only one available. I trusted AKC so I went with their insurance on two of my Golden Retrievers at that time in the early 90’s.

Right now, I’ve got only one of my Goldens on AKC Pet Insurance. I have my other on another insurance program because I wanted to see the difference. I really love AKC Pet Insurance but I have some complaints. The last few times, it took them anywhere from two to three months to pay my claims. I can’t leave the AKC Pet Insurance because my dog has conditions that won’t allow him to pick up insurance anywhere else. I love that AKC pays better, but I’m really upset with how long they’re taking to pay and I don’t understand why the vet has to sign all the claim forms if there are the receipts that go in with it. It’s the only company I know of that require that.

My dog is AKC-registered. I set up an insurance policy and the insurance people were very helpful.

I have a Leonberger puppy which is a huge breed of dog. My breeder gave me all the information and she suggested AKC. It was very easy to sign up for and it didn't take very long. I also had a lot of options on what I could do and the price was fair. I only called them to find out how I download the claim form and the gal answered back for me. So, I went online then they emailed me back the contract. I went ahead and printed it and put in the name of my dog. I've submitted a claim and it wasn't submitted right so my vet resubmitted it. What's really nice is that my vet sent the claim form in. So if I have to make any other claims, they have it already there at the vet. But, I haven't heard anything back from them.

My daughter-in-law found AKC Pet Insurance on the internet and we got it for our dog that was in training. She’s a breeder dog in the family of a German Shepherd that was used for sniffing out drugs. Signing up with AKC was easy and my daughter-in-law handled everything for us. The people over there were very nice too when I spoke with them. However, the dog was too rough on us so we sold it to a lady and her husband who trained and bred dogs.

Having a pet insurance is extremely valuable like any other insurance. AKC Pet Insurance's pricing was comparable to other insurance providers and it was easy to use their website. I usually send the receipt to them and the person at the vet was trying to be helpful. But they sent the wrong receipt, so I had to call Pet Partners and I got very good customer service on the phone. So far, everything has been as advertised.

When I registered my dog with AKC I was given a one-month free trial on their pet insurance. This is my second pet that I’ve had insurance for. My first dog that I had it with passed away and it did come in very handy. I noticed that AKC's policy is a little different. I had a larger deductible than the other policy that I had but that’s okay. I just feel like I have a very expensive dog and I have to have very good insurance. But signing up for this was very simple and easy. The people explained the policy and were wonderful to talk to. I was very happy with their service.

I have used AKC for a couple of claims and the only thing is that they're slow at it. Once you file a claim and sent it there, it takes about 30 days before you get any response. I think that's kind of long. Then, I had to file stuff out for my other vet, and I had to give AKC information to get stuff for the vet. That was the first time but the second time wasn't so bad.

I had gone online to register my new puppy with AKC because he's a purebred. That's how I learned about the insurance option. It's user-friendly as far as when I've had to take the puppy to the vet for regular routine care and services. It's willing to file the paperwork for us so I got reimbursed within a reasonable amount of time. It's been a very easy process so far. But when I tried to call once, they were short-staffed and the girl apologized. This was early on when I first took out the policy and I had a question. That would be the only thing. Maybe they can have the customer not having long wait times or if they can avoid it. Besides that, I would definitely recommend AKC Pet Insurance.

I got AKC Pet Insurance for my first dog, a Doberman, when she was young about three years ago. The insurance I have now doesn't really cover anything when they get sick. It is more of an accident insurance. I could pay more and get illnesses covered but that's a lot of money.

I've been a member of AKC Pet Insurance for nine years now. My first dog, who's no longer with us, had a very bad health problem and I would not have been able to treat her as I did had it not been for the insurance. It was expensive and I ended up with a ton of out-of-pocket expenses, but AKC paid a lot too. They defrayed enough that it made it doable for me and I am always grateful for that.

In my most recent experience, my girl dog that had some measles issues. She went for three visits to the vet and I got $200 and something back for the visits and the meds from AKC. It was pretty good. I'm sad, though, that they moved the dental to the higher paying policy, which is really expensive. My dogs have their dental every year. Having the dental paid for was one of the big draws for me. That's one of the things I do preventatively for my dogs and I miss having that be paid for. I wish that they would make that more accessible. Other than that, I've recommended AKC to many people.

The vet's office gave us a free month of the AKC, that's why we stayed with it. But every time I go to the vet, I send my forms in and nothing seemed to be covered. Like when my puppy had an ear infection and I thought that was covered. But I never seem to get back what I put into it, which is why I think they call it an insurance. So I'm not thrilled with the plan, and I don't think it paid for the neutering as well.

I don't get any information from them. I get no regular mailings from them. I don't even know when I'm paying my policy. I wasn't even sure if I still had the policy with them until recently. It bothers me that I have to go after them for information. They should send me a statement every month. I'll be happy if I got that. I was thinking of changing to my old company again. I had Pet's Health before with my other dog and they're comparably priced with AKC, but Pet's Health gave me more benefits than AKC did. Also, they were all kinds of warm and fuzzy and friendly whenever I call, and much more concerned for me and my dog than AKC seems to be.

My pets are registered in the AKC. I wanted them covered by insurance because bills can be very high and they qualify since they're full blooded. It's very clear in the contract we signed what they cover and what they don't. I submit the claim and either they pay it or don't pay it. In the last six months, AKC Pet Insurance has become extremely prompt in answering a claim submission which is a huge turnaround and a plus for them. They used to take forever.

When I bought my dog, it came with a 30-day complimentary insurance from AKC and I got the coverage from them after that. My daughter who works for a very large animal hospital was talking about Trupanion but I did not have complaints about AKC so I didn't change. I have never submitted a claim but when I called to find out about AKC's services, their reps answered all my questions. I called the other day to add my daughter as a second owner to the dog and they've been awesome. Her working at an animal hospital, we’re gonna pay half of the bill which is better for the insurance anyway. The coverage from AKC is also much better. The only difference is AKC just covers dogs while the other one covers the bunny that my daughter has. Everything is A+ with AKC.

I've been a policyholder with AKC Pet Insurance for two years. Overall, it's been good with them. It's very valuable to have pet insurance. Recently, my credit card was blocked and I had to give AKC a new credit card. My dog has allergies and I don’t know if he’s capable of being reimbursed for that. But I probably won't use the insurance unless my dog has a catastrophic problem, like cancer.

AKC Pet Insurance was part of the package when we got the puppy. I just had to apply it. It's been good and easy with AKC. If I needed additional documentation, they went back to the vet. If the vet wasn't cooperating, then we would intervene and push the vet to give to AKC the information they needed. It was very clear and specific on how everything worked. It’s been an outstanding experience with them.

I've been quite pleased with AKC Pet Insurance for my first dog and my current dog. We lost our first dog two months ago. She had to have a very serious surgery the first of September and it would have been a worse nightmare. The surgery was over $5,000 and that was covered. The limit of the policy we had was $5,000 on an incident, although I was able to increase that to $10,000 for our other dog, for the future. That was a lesson we learned along the way and the policy covers the dental.

However, the second dog had some ear issue when we first got the policy and AKC called that a precondition. That’s the only thing that I’m not thrilled about ‘cause whenever he has some ear infection, that’s not covered. Other than that, the insurance is of high quality and customer service has been good. I'm very satisfied with my experience with them.

We adopted our dog through Lab Rescue, and he came with a three-month policy from AKC. We’ve filed a couple of claims and we’ve always been very satisfied. The only problem that I had with the last time was with the animal ER that we were staying in. Close to a year ago we had our dog in the animal ER for a stomach issue. He had severe diarrhea that he was pooping straight blood. I took a claims form with me when he was checked in and the ER admitted him overnight. They had the form but the vet that was on didn’t fill it out and it took me two weeks to get them to do their part. Once they did their part, I was fine. We have used the policy three times and we’ve always gotten a check within two weeks of filing. We've never had any questions on what the vets have written down so it's been a very good experience.

Pet insurance is a necessary evil like all insurance. I got it for my young dogs because I had older dogs where my expenses on them got exorbitant so I'm getting the lower premium knowing that someday I'll need it for them when they're older. I purchased the pet insurance from AKC and it was easy to contact them either over the phone or online. They're very friendly and helpful as well.

AKC Pet Insurance

We are so glad that you have chosen join the AKC Pet Insurance family. We hope your little one is doing well. If you have any further question about your coverage please don't hesitate to call. We are here to help.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

I received the complimentary 30 days when I registered one of my dogs to AKC Pet insurance. Then we had an incident during our 30 days where she broke her toe and realized we were gonna need a continued service. They were very helpful and polite. They answered all my questions, emailed me information, and sent me a website link. I could call as many times as I wanted and they were always glad to help me. It's turning out to be valuable for our little one.

AKC Pet Insurance Company Profile