4.15/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 2003, AKC Pet Insurance has served as the exclusive pet insurance provider for the American Kennel Club through their incorporated name, PetPartners. AKC Pet Insurance provides affordable, comprehensive pet health insurance to dogs and cats of all ages and breeds in all 50 states. Our customizable policy options allow you to create a plan that fits your individual needs and budget. Coverages include: accidents, illnesses, alternative and behavioral treatments, inherited and congenital conditions, exam fees, final respects fees and two levels of a wellness schedule of benefits.

472 AKC Pet Insurance Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: July 30, 2019

We got a purebred Bichon and we registered her with the AKC and then we got some information on the pet insurance. We went with AKC because it was convenient. They gave us one month of free pet insurance as well. The free month was up, so I extended it. Our experience with them was good. They’re very helpful. During that month, I had to submit a claim. Our Bichon has ear infections. She was scratching a lot and if we touched her ears, it was painful. We got the dog from a breeder when she was seven months old. Bichons grow hair in their ear and the breeder never cleaned that out. So, over time, after we got her, it became very infected, which we didn’t realize.

I had to take the dog for a follow-up with my vet. Then the vet explained the shape of the ear canal which is why the groomer didn’t see the hair that was impacted in a different area of the ear canal. She could only see what was on the outside of the ear, and it was deep inside. And my vet said that probably occurred way back when the dog was still with the breeder. The claim was put in and I haven't heard back from AKC. They needed all the paperwork which I’ve just sent in this week. So, they’re reviewing it, but they’ve been on top of everything. They were very helpful in customizing the type of insurance I needed, and adding on and taking out what I didn’t want.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2019

In signing up with AKC, I got the first 30 days free. I actually had an event during that period and submitted a claim. My thinking was if they responded to the claim and took care of it, I’d go ahead and continue the insurance, and if they didn’t, then they were not worth my time and I was not gonna do it. They responded and took care of the event even though it was like a free period, and I signed up with them.

They were fairly easy to get in contact with every single time I tried to call them. The original payment they were sending me on the event I had with the puppy didn't get to me for whatever reason. I called them and they direct deposited the next day. It was easy. Even though there seems to be a mistake, they made up for it really quickly. So far, it zeroes out, which is all I can really hope for. My theory is, say, the dog was 10 years. There's probably gonna be a lot more payout on their part in the last few and a lot more pay-in on my part for the first year just because of age. So over the whole time, if it ends up being flat, I’d be happy.

Hi Justin,

Thank you for leaving a review! I'm glad we were able to help you while on your 30-day policy. I'm so glad you decided to continue your coverage with us. I'm sorry that you ran into some trouble with your claim reimbursement but I'm glad we were able to remedy the issue quickly! Please let us know if there is ever anything we can do for you!

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: July 3, 2019

I’m not particularly impressed with AKC right now. I have 3 very sick puppies from a litter and I’ve had a problem with the former breeder. When I called for their assistance, I was walked through with another process I knew nothing about and got no letters saying my puppies are now mine. They refused to register them that they’re now mine and if I ever do that again, they’re gonna sanction me.

I wasn’t the one that did all the registration. It was AKC's people that walked me through it and they were too busy to talk me. The rep said, “I got other calls, I can’t talk to you,” and quickly hung up on me. I’m not very impressed with them and their standards of care. For 1 of the 3 puppies, they told me it’s not gonna make the first birthday. The other 1, I’ve already spent over $10,000 in vet bills for surgeries, and the other 1, we don’t know what the status of his heart is. He needs a 2nd or 3rd eye surgery, but there are no remedies for that. They said, “Unless you’re a charitable organization or anything, we don’t do anything.” I was basically on my own so a way is to euthanize them and not be bothered with the expense or do them and try everything to help the puppies stay better at my cost with no assistance from AKC. But they didn’t have any problems charging me for everything up to a zoo.

AKC Pet Insurance has been helpful, but unfortunately, my problem was that I didn’t realize that these puppies were very sick and I got that as a safe gap in the meantime. Puppies are puppies. They’re like little kids. They can get sick really fast, and they can get hurt so I got the insurance. I had a protection in case something happens with them all. I found them there at Forever Homes. They have pre-existing conditions and no insurance will take them. AKC was helpful in that regard except now that I’ve maxed out on everything because it’s a one-time lifetime thing, which if I had realized that there are gonna be problems, I would have gotten a full insurance policy for them. They have extensive illnesses and they’ve now capped, so it’s a restricted policy. That’s the problem and there are no options to change that.

Now, it doesn’t matter what insurance policy I get for them. All this stuff will not be covered ‘cause it’s pre-existing. It’s genetic. So, other things in the future, if something else happens to them for whatever reason that’s not directly related to what their birth issues were, that would be covered.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

When I purchased our dog through Perfect Pup, the first month of AKC Pet Insurance was free with the package of the crate and items that I received from the Perfect Pup. I was busy with my dog as a puppy, so I just took the first month with AKC and then canceled it ‘cause my puppy was very healthy. However, my son had a very bad experience with a dog that had to have eye surgery. It was very unexpected, and he purchased insurance after that. He then told me I should get insurance for my dog, which I did. Not that there was anything wrong with the dog. My dog is four and a half years old now, but we decided that we should because unexpected things come up. My son had an excellent experience with AKC so we went with the same company.

It has been very good with AKC. The gentleman who I signed up with was very nice and explained everything thoroughly. I feel much better having a pet insurance. I've seen the cost of what things are and they can go really high. I haven't had to use the insurance, but I can see that if something should happen to my dog that I will need it because I wouldn’t be able to afford it.

Hi Catherine,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review! We're glad to provide you some peace of mind.

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

When I registered my dog with the AKC, a 30-day certificate came with it. During that 30 days, I had to file a claim and the experience was fantastic, so I stayed with them. I wanted a policy so that if anything happens with my dog, it would help cover my expenses. Having a pet insurance is very valuable especially since my dog tends to get his nose into everything that we see outside. He has picked up a few things that he should not have picked up that I was not able to get away from him. He also had an eye infection when he rolled around in the dirt. So, the insurance has been a really big help for me.

We can go to any vet that we want and not just a network of vets. I pay the cost at the time of service and then I submit the claim to the AKC Pet Insurance. They have an address on the claim form where we can mail it to. It can also be faxed or e-mailed, so it is very convenient. They will then bump the claim up against the policy and make sure what is reimbursable and what is not, and they send the check back. When I filed a claim, the reimbursement came back extremely quick within a week -- at the most, it was two weeks. The customer service was always extremely helpful, very on point and explained everything. They are very thorough and every time I would call them, they took a genuine interest in my puppy. I have recommended them to family and friends.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Pet Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

When we adopted a couple of dogs, I looked into AKC Pet Insurance as one of my options and decided to go ahead with them. We've had their policy for a little over two years now and so far, so good. My recent experience with them has been easy.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I registered my Lab and AKC Pet Insurance was part of the offer. It was just a trial and then I called three times, and then I subscribed over the phone, then went back online to verify. I've had it for two months now and I have a pending claim.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I searched pet insurance on Google and AKC was the first one to come up. I looked at what their policies included and it satisfied everything I needed. They had good ratings as well. I haven't had to use it so far but everything seems to be fine if I do need to use it. Everyone that I talked to has been very sweet with me.

Hi Isabella,

Thanks so much for choosing AKC Pet Insurance and for taking the time to leave a review! I'm glad you've had a good customer service experience! Please let us know if there is ever anything we can do for you!

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: July 11, 2019

When I got my dog, it was AKC registered but then when I went through the policy with them for submitting claims and went through the arbitration process with them to go back through the claims, it took months and months. Thereafter, they denied my claim. Now I've canceled my policy and I'm with Pets Best.

Hi Jason,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a poor experience and decided to cancel your policy. I wish we could have better met your needs. I'm not sure of the details of you particular issue, but we greatly value our customer's feedback and would be happy to talk with you over the phone to hear your concerns. Please don't hesitate to call and ask for the Customer Care Supervisor. I wish you and your dog the very best.

Take care,

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: July 10, 2019

I've been using AKC Pet Insurance for 20 years. We go back three or four dogs with them. Our dog was a pedigree and it was recommended through AKC. However, the policy has gotten way too expensive at $99 a month. I'm not really happy. Still, everything has been fine thus far.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for leaving a review and thanks for being such a loyal, longtime customer. I'm sorry to hear your premiums have increased. Rates do go up as pets age and the cost of veterinary care increases. We would be more than happy to speak with you over the phone about your policy and see if any adjustments can be made to your coverage to better fit your needs and budget. Please don't hesitate to call us.

AKC Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

AKC Pet insurance was founded in 2003 by John Spurling, who first offered pet insurance to the Kennel Club of Great Britain in the 1980s. The company's headquarters are now located in Seattle, Washington.

• Flea, tick and heartworm prevention covered: AKC Pet Insurance pays all fees for flea, tick and heartworm prevention for dogs covered by their policies.

• Multi-pet discounts: People that insurance more than one pet with AKC get a 5 percent discount on each additional pet.

• Wide coverage: AKC covers treatment from any veterinarian, which means pet owners can take their pets to the vet of their choice.

• No age exclusions: AKC will cover dog owners of any age, and they will not refuse insurance to dogs due to advanced age.

• Long filing allowance: The company allows people 180 days to file their insurance claims. This ensures that people who do not have the time to file claims right away can still receive benefits for their pet.

• Best for: Dog owners with older dogs, dog owners with multiple dogs, and dog owners who are loyal to their current vet.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky