Call toll free
4.32/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 2003, AKC Pet Insurance has served as the exclusive pet insurance provider for the American Kennel Club through their incorporated name, PetPartners. AKC Pet Insurance provides affordable, comprehensive pet health insurance to dogs and cats of all ages and breeds in all 50 states. Our customizable policy options allow you to create a plan that fits your individual needs and budget. Coverages include: accidents, illnesses, alternative and behavioral treatments, inherited and congenital conditions, exam fees, final respects fees and two levels of a wellness schedule of benefits.

429 AKC Pet Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I have a working dog and she does tracking. She also runs a lot and does a lot of jumps. I wanted to make sure that I started her on something that would cover any injuries that were to happen. She is generally a healthy dog, although I wanted a security measure. When I registered her at AKC, I got the information for the pet insurance. I thought the rates were decent so I went with them. But my experience was really upsetting and that was the only time I submitted a claim.

It all started when I thought my working dog had allergies. She had medication for that and then, about four months after, she was getting that entropion at the beginning of August. I went ahead and did the surgery for her with expectations to be reimbursed by the insurance because what else am I paying it for? But my claim was declined - every last bit of it. It was a $1200, and they had another $400 in vet bills on top of that from regular exams. When I submitted my claim, I wasn’t sure how to do it because I saw on the form to submit that there was a flat fee for three different vet bills.

So, I waited until I had something that was worth it. I wasn’t gonna send in a claim for $40 right away. And I waited until I had a good sum of money added up there. And that way, it would be worth it to go through and take care of everything all at once instead of me submitting one and AKC reps having to contact the vet a month later. I was counting on getting $1600 reimbursed for unexpected medical bills but I didn't get them.

I don’t know if AKC Pet Insurance covers the preexisting condition because my working dog was diagnosed with eye allergies and it led into the entropion. It was something unexpected. At first, the medicine was working on her eyes and fixing the issue with the wateriness and the swelling. But her eyes were irritated on both sides, and they ended up clearing up one and not the other, and that’s when it was determined that she would need that surgery because there was a deeper issue than allergies.

I thought the policy was all fine and dandy and I thought highly of it and actually promoted it to people. I’m a dog trainer, so if people ask about my insurance, I let them know what I use. Obviously, I had yet to submit a claim at that point. For the 60 dollars a month that I'm paying for the insurance that didn't even cover anything, I’ve wasted it for something that didn’t help me out. I’ve actually had people tell me to call back and file a grievance because it wasn't fair. In the end, I’m more disappointed than anything. And I had decided to cancel my policy, which I had from April through November, and I've since been doing a bunch of research on other insurance plans. I have multiple working dogs and I wanna put them all on the same policy. But I wanna make sure that it’s something that’s gonna cover them when something does happen.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I have been an AKC Pet Insurance policyholder since 2015. They have a great reputation, especially for purebreds. The pet insurance is a great safety net to have for my dogs since they are a great investment, and having it is very valuable. It is no different than having insurance on your children.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I had a dog who has a major issue and I made the decision to put him down. But then, I prayed, and things came through, so I decided to get AKC insurance. However, I don’t know how to operate it and it cost me 1,200 bucks at the hospital. Also, their reps are all telling me that my dog was going through this test before they can say that that the problem wasn't what they thought it was. The doctors were supposed to sign the paperwork with the findings but then they're saying they can't verify it. Instead, the doctor asked to do a little more testing. Meanwhile the dog's fine and the doctors and AKC are just passing the buck. I'm probably going to cancel this insurance because it's just a scam. I'm not too happy with this company.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

My sister is involved in dog agility and showing dogs and she encouraged me to purchase insurance from AKC. Usually, things happen in the first year or two with the puppies, so it seemed like a good idea. The insurance seemed to work well over the years. My Golden had a shoulder surgery, but that wasn’t covered. But the Valley Fever and thyroid medicine were covered. So overall, the insurance covered a fair amount of extent.

I got my Golden 10 years ago and he passed away early in the year this summer. It just happened in the middle of the night. It was a ruptured spleen due to her cancer growth. However, there was no coverage for the emergency room visits or anything around the death of a dog, which I was not happy about. I thought something like that would be covered. Nevertheless, the pet insurance more than covered the yearly premium because pets have pretty much a lifelong Valley Fever and thyroid issue. There were a couple of trips because of the bad food, but on most of the vet visits, a certain percentage was covered. We still have coverage on our other dog, a three-year-old Cockapoo.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I learned about AKC Pet Insurance online when I registered my dog. I got all my papers from their company so I also went with them. I've been a policy holder for six months now. When I have a question, they answer for me, so it is good. There was once when I had to take my dog to the vet and I had to pay cash. I then sent the papers to the company and they sent me a check.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Pet Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I'm on my second year as a policy holder of AKC Pet Insurance. We got a new puppy. I bought some pills for heartworm. I filed my app and they gave me my money real fast. The insurance is extremely valuable. It gives me good peace of mind.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I registered my dog with AKC and they had a 30-day free trial pet insurance, then I extended it because I plan to have insurance anyway. I had 2 claims with them and I didn’t have any problems with it. They paid for those claims. My only concern was that premium grows very fast as the dog ages. Other than that, I’m happy with my experience. I discontinued AKC only because my employer recently offered pet insurance in the company.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

My husband and I adopted two new dogs, and we felt it best to make sure that these guys were insured. I’ve never had an issue per se, but the only thing that was disconcerting was that when I took them this year for a checkup and submitted the claims, a lot of the things were denied because there wasn’t a full year of time that had lapsed. It was based on scheduling and getting them in to see the vet, and I was disappointed in that. The policy goes from year to year and I need to be more mindful of that in the future. Still, I’ve already recommended friends of mine to look on AKC's website.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

When I purchased our dog through Perfect Pup, the first month of AKC Pet Insurance was free with the package of the crate and items that I received from the Perfect Pup. I was busy with my dog as a puppy, so I just took the first month with AKC and then canceled it ‘cause my puppy was very healthy. However, my son had a very bad experience with a dog that had to have eye surgery. It was very unexpected, and he purchased insurance after that. He then told me I should get insurance for my dog, which I did. Not that there was anything wrong with the dog. My dog is four and a half years old now, but we decided that we should because unexpected things come up. My son had an excellent experience with AKC so we went with the same company.

It has been very good with AKC. The gentleman who I signed up with was very nice and explained everything thoroughly. I feel much better having a pet insurance. I've seen the cost of what things are and they can go really high. I haven't had to use the insurance, but I can see that if something should happen to my dog that I will need it because I wouldn’t be able to afford it.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Care for my pet is important. I went with AKC due to the offer that I got through the membership that I have. We made a significant investment into the dog that we bought that we thought we would try AKC and see if it was valuable. I initially called about it and talked to somebody that helped me walk through the plan, and the rep seemed knowledgeable. Time will tell whether the AKC insurance pays for anything. Any insurance is a personal decision, but AKC Pet Insurance is worth looking into.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

People had been asking me if I had pet insurance and when I was at the vet a couple of times and was paying the invoice, the office manager asked me the same question and I said no. Then, I thought it was probably a good idea so I got AKC. I've been with them for six and a half years and it's been very valuable. For the first couple of years, they were quite frustrating but in the last couple of years, they had been great.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Having a pet insurance is very valuable but I’ve seen a lot of people with pets with no insurance and they have got to lay out a lot of money. When I adopted my Bloodhound, it was AKC-registered. But AKC could send a booklet about all the benefits I get instead of emails or something a little clearer to understand what I have and what AKC Pet insurance is. Nevertheless, they cover sickness and injuries and it's always good to have.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I had a good experience with AKC Pet Insurance. We had a puppy before and she got really sick so we decided to play it safe with our new one. My breeder where I got my dog from was registered AKC. I’m responsible for the cost and then I’m reimbursed. However, dealing with claims was a little difficult. Some sections of the forms are confusing. My vet tried to figure it out for me, but it ended up just being a big mess and I ended up having to do it all anyway.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

We signed up our mini schnauzer puppy for the free month of insurance via AKC registration. The little guy fell off of a bed and fractured his left rear leg (growth plates). After two surgeries and several thousands of dollars in costs, we submitted to AKC Pet Insurance. I heard nothing after the first month, so I called. They advised that they could not open the email sent to them and I had to send it in a different format. I did as requested. After another month and no contact, I called again. I was informed that I missed a waiting day by 1 day so the fracture was not covered.

The customer rep apologized for the fact that I was not contacted with this information. As we had never had pet insurance this was our test on how "good" it really is and how it really works. I am both disappointed in the company's lack of communication, and the failure to support our insurance claim. Do not purchase this insurance for your pet!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I got a pet insurance for Pluto through AKC within a month or so after I bought him and AKC ran a great service. I was always assured that Pluto will be covered if anything happened to him. I’m going to recommend AKC to Pluto's new family.

AKC Pet Insurance response
Thanks for the review, Willard! We also greatly appreciate the recommendations!

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

My wife was a breeder of dogs and cats so she knew AKC Pet Insurance for a long time. They were very helpful because my wife had passed just a week before and she was the one who was taking care of the animals and I wasn’t involved with the pet insurance. The day after she died, I had a dog that was in the hospital and needed some surgery. The dog was very healthy and then all of a sudden, he got these fibroid tumors in three different places so we paid in our fortune. But the policy came out pretty well. It was $75 a month. The process was a little slow, but other than that AKC was very thorough and they did exactly what the policy called for. I was very happy with the results.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

We've been a policy holder of AKC Pet Insurance for about three years and the insurance has been good to us because it's been one problem after another. When you submit for the claim, they might have a question but so far, they have paid every claim that we've put in. Our puppy has stomach issues and then he had a blown disc jumping off the bed and needed surgery. It was like $6,000. The paperwork was submitted and AKC paid for what the share that the contract says. You have to be diligent and get your paperwork in there to them and then they take care of it. They send out the check for the amount that the contract says.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

When I wanted some insurance for my dog just in case, I evaluated AKC Pet Insurance's services and cost and theirs were the best. The vet has all the forms and they send everything to AKC, and then AKC usually sends a check within three or four days. Hopefully, I don’t have to use the insurance but they’ve just been good to work with that’s why I’m staying with them.

AKC Pet Insurance response
Thank you so much, Jeff! We're glad you chose us!

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

AKC seemed like they would be reliable. They offered us insurance and we thought we would try. However, it doesn't seem like the price every month is justifiable. My dog is nine months old and when she gets older, I won't wanna insure her because she'd be more expensive. Still, we've had AKC for a few months and the people have been very pleasant and nice.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Our experience with AKC insurance started okay, but is now a disaster. My wife and I had insured our AKC registered dog from day one with maximum benefits and all add-ons available at the time. We noticed recently that they had started offering a product with no lifetime limits and immediately upgraded (before the end of our current plan year). First, we were not told that we would pay an additional deductible - that was an unpleasant surprise. Then even though we upgraded to no lifetime limits, AKC is now digging back into our dog's medical record under the old plan to impose a cap based on a preexisting condition! Even though he has had continuous coverage with their own company since he was 8 weeks old! Do not buy this insurance. Go with a bigger, well-established company.

Hi Amir,
We are so sorry that your experience with us was not on par with our standards. We definitely encourage all of our customers to ask lots of questions and review the Terms and Conditions of their policies as we don’t want there to be any surprises when it comes to your policy. We appreciate the opportunity you’ve given us to provide you the best customer experience and please feel free to reach out to Adam at any time in the future.

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I don’t want anything to happen to my pet and he’s my first pet, so I've decided to continue the AKC pet insurance he has from Petland. The customer service from AKC was good and it wasn’t a handful when trying to get questions answered. They knew what they were talking about and they broke down any information that they had to tell me. A pet insurance is valuable to have, and AKC is a good company to go with.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thank you very much for the review, Rhonda!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

We've had the 30-day pre-insurance plan with AKC but we're not planning on keeping it because of the price. Still, it's very valuable. Plus all of our experiences with AKC have been great. We have new Boxer puppies and they are registered so they helped us through the process. They helped us understand how to register all of the necessary information should either or both of them get lost or stolen.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I have a Golden Retriever that is nine months old and you never know what you’re getting into especially with this dog. AKC Pet Insurance came through after we put our dog's name in and then they sent us a bunch of stuff. When I signed up, I talked one on one with a really nice fellow. They're a great organization and I appreciate everything they’ve been doing. They are very informative and want people to understand the nature of dogs. We get emails about bringing your dog to socialize at a certain places, and they have festivals on weekends too.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thanks for leaving a review, Frances! The Customer Care Team is here to help you if you need us in the future.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

When I registered my puppy with AKC, they automatically asked me if I wanted to get started with the pet insurance and gave me the free 30-day trial. I got the wellness and sickness plan for my dog and when he got his shots, I went for the wellness check and got heartworm and flea and tick medicine. I emailed AKC Pet Insurance the scans of my receipts from the veterinarian's office as well as the form and five days later, they sent me a check for the amount. It was really good, fast and easy. I like AKC Pet Insurance and I see high value in it. It's a good precaution.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

AKC Pet Insurance was part of the package when I registered my 16-month old white Standard Poodle dog with AKC. It was just a trial basis. He did get sick and I’m still waiting for a claim. I filed a claim three weeks ago and have heard nothing, just that it was received. I have not had any positive experience with AKC so far. I don’t think I would use them again because they are not efficient or there’s no communication.

Hi Anita,

I’m sorry you didn’t receive the claim notification and Explanation of Benefits. I looked into your policy and it looks like you opted for email communication. We sent your Claim Acknowledgement via email less than a week after we received it. We can look into why you did not receive that but in the meantime, I have reissued your Explanation of Benefits. We are more than happy to speak with you over the phone to further discuss the issue and answer any other questions you may have. We can also change your communication method to postal mail if you prefer. Please feel free to give us a call and ask for Jasmin or Adam. And again, our apologies for the inconvenience!

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

My dog is registered with AKC Pet Insurance and I rate them high.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I dropped by the clinic because my German Shepherd, Cena, was coughing too much. I got an insurance but the problem was the $1,000 per incident. I heard AKC Pet Insurance with the AKC people. I said, “Let me try them.” Their rep told me that it’s $250 out of pocket and that’s what I started with. They told me I'd get the papers as soon as I do the first payment, which I did. However, I haven't received the papers yet. AKC gave me the number of that insurance. I called them and then I called today and they told me that I should call at 10:00 Eastern time. I did but nobody answered the phone. So far, that’s what I’m waiting for, but I haven't used it yet.

Hi Francisco,

I'm so sorry you're having trouble connecting to an agent and I will have one call you right away! For future reference the Customer Care Team operates Monday-Friday 8:30am to 8:00pm and on Saturday 10:00am to 3:00pm Eastern Standard Time and can be reached at 866-725-2747.
Best

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

When I registered my dog with the AKC, a 30-day certificate came with it. During that 30 days, I had to file a claim and the experience was fantastic, so I stayed with them. I wanted a policy so that if anything happens with my dog, it would help cover my expenses. Having a pet insurance is very valuable especially since my dog tends to get his nose into everything that we see outside. He has picked up a few things that he should not have picked up that I was not able to get away from him. He also had an eye infection when he rolled around in the dirt. So, the insurance has been a really big help for me.

We can go to any vet that we want and not just a network of vets. I pay the cost at the time of service and then I submit the claim to the AKC Pet Insurance. They have an address on the claim form where we can mail it to. It can also be faxed or e-mailed, so it is very convenient. They will then bump the claim up against the policy and make sure what is reimbursable and what is not, and they send the check back. When I filed a claim, the reimbursement came back extremely quick within a week -- at the most, it was two weeks. The customer service was always extremely helpful, very on point and explained everything. They are very thorough and every time I would call them, they took a genuine interest in my puppy. I have recommended them to family and friends.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I got my dog registered with AKC just in case something happens to him. I make my payments and they get the job done.

AKC Pet Insurance response

Thank you for the review, Magen. We'd love to talk to you about your coverage to make sure you're completely satisfied with your dog's policy! Give us a call at 866-725-2747 and ask for Adam or Jasmin.

Best

AKC Pet Insurance

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I registered one of my dogs through AKC. They give a 30-day free medical insurance coverage with the registration trying to get you to buy a policy. I made a claim during that 30-day period. I've never had pet insurance before especially with these many animals. I have five dogs and it has always seemed to be a little too expensive for what you could potentially get. I saw an opportunity to see how pet insurance was gonna work and if it wasn't like an extended warranty insurance you get for your car where the first time you tried the claim, the warranty company found some reason not to cover it. I had 30 days free and then I would have to pay a premium if I wanted to continue my coverage. I found it a little peculiar that nobody contacted me if I was gonna pick the policy up and what it would cost.

My dog, that I had the coverage on, had some cancerous lumps and I've had three of them removed so far. The vet removed one within the 30-day period and while I was waiting to get the stitches out on that one, I found another smaller lump nearby. When I went to have the stitches taken out after two weeks, they took that lump out too. I paid for the vet up front. I've sent AKC an email this morning inquiring again if there had been any decision and what was happening with my two claims. I've been waiting over a month for the first claim and a couple of weeks for the second one. They said that they had them both and they’d get back to me as soon as there was a decision. If this is their method of coverage, then I wouldn’t be interested in buying a policy.

Hi Andy,

Thank you for all of the feedback! We are always looking for ways to improve and I'm sorry you were not completely satisfied with your first experience with us. The Customer Care Team is here to help with any issues and we encourage people to call whenever they have questions and we're developing a Custom Portal that will be a great benefit to our customers! Again thank you for all the feedback and please call and ask for Adam or Jasmin for your future needs.

AKC Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

AKC Pet insurance was founded in 2003 by John Spurling, who first offered pet insurance to the Kennel Club of Great Britain in the 1980s. The company's headquarters are now located in Seattle, Washington.

• Flea, tick and heartworm prevention covered: AKC Pet Insurance pays all fees for flea, tick and heartworm prevention for dogs covered by their policies.

• Multi-pet discounts: People that insurance more than one pet with AKC get a 5 percent discount on each additional pet.

• Wide coverage: AKC covers treatment from any veterinarian, which means pet owners can take their pets to the vet of their choice.

• No age exclusions: AKC will cover dog owners of any age, and they will not refuse insurance to dogs due to advanced age.

• Long filing allowance: The company allows people 180 days to file their insurance claims. This ensures that people who do not have the time to file claims right away can still receive benefits for their pet.

• Best for: Dog owners with older dogs, dog owners with multiple dogs, and dog owners who are loyal to their current vet.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky