2. Pets
ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Request Information
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.78/5

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Reviews

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I am writing to pat this insurance company on the back. What would I do without you? It was the most horrendous year of my life, and without Healthy Paws, I would really be up a creek. In Nov. 2019, my 6 year old dog, Polly, was diagnosed with IVDD and had extensive tests. Sadly, after working with her for several weeks, she was making no progress and had to be put down. That was SO hard, and HP came in to help with the lion's share of my bills.

Not much later, I got another small dog so that my more senior dachshund/terrier wouldn't be lonely. This sweet little dog and my older girl were in dog crates in the back of my car on the way to a happy day at the dog park. The day was cut short when someone ran a red light and plowed into the right rear quarter panel of my car. The little pup wasn't covered, and though we tried valiantly to save her, she sustained too many injuries to survive. My older girl was in ICU for a week and had her spleen removed... most of which HP paid for. I would not have been able to do all I did for my surviving dog without HP. It took a while to take on another dog... I was in mourning for quite some time after the wreck, but I did get a new girl finally, Abby. I made sure she was covered by HP!

After a month or so, we noticed she was losing weight drastically. After several tests, it turned out she wasn't producing enough Pancreatic enzymes. She's now on medication that she'll need the rest of her life, and once again... Thanks to HP I can take proper care of her. More recently, my older girl was diagnosed with a ruptured salivary gland. You guessed it - more tests and surgery!

So, for the past year and a half, Healthy Paws has been like an invisible friend that helps my pups when the chips are down. They pay quickly and rarely flinch when I turn in my paperwork. They will always be my insurance company of choice! I dinged them one star for the $500 deductible and for not covering office visits. But, gosh... just wanted to thank them from the bottom of my heart for being there for us. It's been the worst year and a half of my life and could have been so much worse!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I’ve had almost nothing but good experiences with Healthy Paws and I want to address some of the complaints in the one star reviews. Firstly, I signed up my puppy, Sammy, two weeks after we got him at four months old. My husband and I had been researching insurance companies and Healthy Paws came up time and time again as the best value for money in terms of cost and reimbursement. This was 2.5 years ago.

The day I registered Sammy he began exhibiting signs of Parvovirus, and we had to take him to the emergency vet. He was in intensive care and quarantined for 4 days. It was touch and go for a while as to whether he would survive. He made it through and we ended up paying over $3,000 for the treatment. Healthy Paws did not reimburse me and I didn’t file a claim because I read all the terms and conditions. It clearly states that there is a waiting period, and all other limitations are outlined on the website. Anyone who took their pet to the vet within the first few weeks of the waiting period (a waiting period that is perfectly reasonable as to avoid preexisting issues, which the company clearly states it doesn’t cover) and writes that they were shocked at being denied a claim is either illiterate or lying. It clearly states online what is and isn’t covered and in what time period.

My monthly premium is $31.95. My yearly deductible is $250. And my reimbursement rate is 80%. While I don’t think this is a steal, I think it’s a reasonable price. Compared to other insurance costs and reimbursement levels I think this is one of the best deals out there. I will admit that I haven’t looked into new insurance companies since I signed Sammy up two years ago so it is possible that there is something better out there now, but I haven’t heard about it.

Do I wish that preexisting conditions were covered? Of course I do, but find me a single pet insurer that covers preexisting conditions and I will pay for your pet’s insurance for the rest of their lives. Do I wish that the cost of the vet visit was covered, sure I do. According to the company it’s so that it can keep its premiums low and offer the higher payout rate. I can suck it up when the vet costs $60, but when you see a specialist or emergency vet the office visit cost is often a lot higher (our emergency vet cost around $200 and dermatologist for Sammy cost around $300).

There are other things that aren’t covered, but these are clearly laid out online. I think that many other insurance firms have similar limitations (no preexisting conditions, no preventative trips like vaccines and neutering). Two things that they don’t cover that I wish they did (and I don’t know how this compares with other companies) are prescription food and behavioural issues. I understand that things like training would be difficult to cover, but seeing a dog behaviourist and other treatments for anxiety and fear issues is something I believe should be considered on a case by case basis.

That being said, Healthy Paws has been a lifesaver. Every insurance company has a deductible (for humans and animals alike). I’m not sure why some people felt it was appropriate to give the company 1 star for this when there are literally no other alternatives. No company offers a $0 deductible. I’m our case, Sammy has come down with every illness possible. If your dog swallows something, x-rays will cost you around $500 or more (at my vet in Chicago at least, and they are by no means the most expensive). One incident like that and your deductible is met AND you get 80% of the rest back.

I disagree with people who say that you’d be better off putting aside $30 a month and covering costs out of pocket. That’s $360 a year and wouldn’t even cover Sammy’s x-rays (which we had to pay for more than once in a year). Blood tests are hundreds of dollars. Travel sickness pills are $70 for 4 pills. Medicated shampoo and medicated mousse or powder for skin issues can run around $50 a bottle. If your pet has any type of skin or food allergy it can cost you thousands of dollars doing food trials, blood tests, x-rays, allergy tests and paying for allergy pills. Trust me, we’ve been through it all.

If your pup gets an infection or is vomiting from an upset tummy, a course of medication can cost a couple of hundred. Yes, if you have a super healthy pet that never has any accidents and only goes to the vet once a year for vaccines then you’ll probably pay more in premiums than you’ll get back. But if your dog breaks a bone or has to have any kind of testing or operation or (god forbid) gets cancer, the insurance will pay for itself. Yes, you never know and you might not need it but why take the risk if you truly love your pup? What if they need a $3000 operation you can’t afford?

I can honestly say that without Healthy Paws I’d be bankrupt. I ended up with a sickly pup, but I would recommend this company to everyone. And the reason I was prompted to write such a long review is because last week my card got declined. I made the payment and my account seemed to be active, but yesterday I received a letter saying it would be terminated next month due to non payment. I sent an email to Healthy Paws and got a reply within 12 hours confirming that my account was active. Just to make sure, I called them today and after reading these reviews I was expecting a long wait. Nope, I waited on hold for less than 10 minutes, spoke to a very helpful associate who confirmed all my account details and reassured me that everything was up and running. Perhaps the people waiting for 2 hours are calling on a Sunday morning?

In terms of the claims, the only time I had an issue was with the very first claim. When I sent the claim I was told they couldn’t pay out without Sammy’s full medical records (that’s understandable). I had the vet send them over. When I tried to go back to the claim I had left it too long and it was “closed.” I am under the impression that they do give you a reasonable amount of time to follow up (I was a bit slow and looked into it again two months later).

Instead of giving up and writing a bad review, I resubmitted the claim. They again told me that they needed medical records so this time I emailed the medical records and claim directly to them. I received a check in the mail within a couple of weeks. I then changed my reimbursement method to direct debit. Since then, I’ve used the app to submit all claims and never had an issue. I’ve submitted about 10 claims in one go (from the previous 12 months) and never had an issue. The direct deposits appear within 2 weeks every time. Whenever I’ve had a query I’ve simply emailed and they’ve been very quick to respond.

As someone who has claimed thousands of dollars in medical bills, I have NEVER had an issue with non payment. I feel like I am uniquely qualified to write this review as in his second year Sammy was at the vet every month. Now we’ve figured out his allergies and while I wish that Healthy Paws covered some prescription food, we have to pay $100 in injections every month. Getting $80 of that back every month is a lifesaver.

TOO LONG DIDN’T READ: I would 100% recommend this company. I feel like most of the bad reviews are user error and a lack of understanding on how insurance companies are. I doubt you will find a better value for money insurer. I especially love the ease of submitting claims through the app by taking a picture of the receipt, and getting a reimbursement the next week. If you can find a better insurance company for pets, I will eat my hat.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I am reading all of the negative reviews and have not experienced any of those issues. First of all....people, they are very clear about pre-existing conditions, the 15 day waiting period, the deductible, and what they DO NOT cover! Read your policy! Read all of the info on their website and then if you have questions, call for clarification. I signed up my girl at 8 weeks of age. I have had no problem getting them to pay. At one point, it was a bit slow when they needed to hire more people, but after that period it has been fine. I had Trupanion for one of my last dogs and the "Per incident" deductible sucks. With Healthy Paws, my deductible is $100/year with 90% reimburse rate. I love it! Again, I have had NO issues and would recommend this pet insurance to anyone! Thank you, Healthy Paws!

Original review: June 15, 2019

In October 2018, my then-4 yo chihuahua terrier completely tore his ACL and because of his breed and knee structure, the surgery was complicated and costly. My family did not have $5,000+ to pay for the surgery, and the vet doesn't do payment plans. Luckily, Lucas (the dog) had been serviced by Healthy Paws for over a year and we felt comfortable with the claim process. Usually these insurances are reimbursement based, but because it was such a large amount, I talked to a HPPI representative and was able to get them to pay their part up front (90%!) and I ended up paying only $500 for my dog's pre-surgery consult, surgery, and post-surgery check! And, because of their unlimited lifetime claims (unlike other providers) I have no worries that I am going to run out of insurance money as he ages (since he's just a pup). Overall wonderful service. I am thinking of also adding my spouse's cat to our insurance policy too.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I can't say enough about Healthy Paws and how it has been a life saver for me and saved me so much money and stress in the end. I have read other reviews about how they have increased their rates every year and I have experienced the same except it was more like every 2-3 years. I have 2 dogs and at times when money was tight, I thought about canceling my policy since I kept my dogs healthy and take them in for their routine check-ups. Here I am 8 years later, and I am so glad I did not cancel.

In December, my 8-year-old German Shepherd started limping. I took him to my vet and they did an x-ray and discovered severe erosion of his femoral head which was suspect of either a bone infection or bone cancer. I had to take him in for an MRI and biopsy which cost over $5,000. After the first result came back with mixed opinions, I had to consult with a Veterinary Oncologist and got the same mixed opinions. In the meantime, while I was waiting for the results, my 9-year-old female German Shepherd suddenly collapsed in January. I had to rush her to the Emergency Vet (close to $3,000) to find out she had end-stage Hemangiosarcoma. I chose not to put her down right away and chose to use alternative treatments for her to make her final weeks more comfortable which they covered the majority of those expenses.

Sadly she is no longer with us but Healthy Paws was so great to notice on her final bills that we had to put her down. I didn't have to call to cancel as that was the last thing on my mind. They went ahead and canceled her policy and credit a portion that was already paid. They even sent me a condolence card hand signed by those at Healthy Paws which brought tears to my eyes. I can go on and on but I will end this note by saying that if I did not have Healthy Paws I would probably have to put both my dogs down early on as I would not be able to afford the $20,000 in veterinary expenses I have incurred in the past 3 months. Plus they have been easy to work with whenever I called and have been so caring and compassionate when it came to the loss of my dog. Rest in peace, my dear Zoe.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Once again an exorbitant increase in Premium!!!! Here is my Premium History.

3/2014 Started coverage.

2/2016: Monthly premium increased from $42.83 to $46.24
          1/2017: Monthly premium increased from $46.24 to $50.27
          1/2018: Monthly premium increased from $50.27 to $56.91

1/2019: Monthly premium increased from $66.53 to $90.48

There is NO CHANCE that Veterinary costs have increased 130% in 5 years. And not increased 36% in the last 1 year, This is robbery.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I would give 0 stars if I could. They say they complete claims in 7-14 days, this has never been my experience. Their average time is more like 28 days. They wait about 10 days to tell you they need the records and action required on your part, when you've already submitted their records about 10 times. Their app and website aren't very informative, customer service is poor and slow. They will cover small amounts, but then when you get referred to a specialist, then they try and say preexisting condition and won't reimburse you like they are supposed to. Don't fall into the trap like me.

If you ever taken your pet for anything prior to having insurance, they will try to link it to anything going on and deny you benefits. If your pet has never been to the doctor for anything, then it might be ok. HealthyPaws is a sick joke, I would never recommend them to anyone or their pet that I care about. I'm in an appeal and filing a lawsuit currently and Healthy Paws owes me thousands of dollars they won't pay me.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I have had Healthy Paws Insurance for about 2 yrs and just had my first claim, which they were prompt to respond to. My $250 deductible basically 0 out any reimbursement or payment for services rendered meaning, my check for reimbursement was approx. $250. Immediately following my insurance was raised $15.00+ monthly and I was told that it was because there have been a lot of claims raising the price of the insurance. Ironically, this was a poor excuse considering we have about 1000 dogs in the neighborhood, we all utilize the same dog parks and many of us have this specific insurance. People talk.

I spoke to 3 people who have the same dog I do, Golden Retriever and they told me that not only their insurance hadn't gone up, but they had had about 5-6 claims throughout the year. It immediately made me lose faith in their service, their customer service and their ability to support my needs in the future. I will be joining a larger company while this one will eventually struggle to maintain their clients.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

What a mess this company is. 45 min wait to speak to them over the phone at any time of day. They lose your claim, they give misinformation, they don't know what they are doing. Hot mess express. They are the worst pet insurance you can get. Been with them for 8 years. They've gone downhill FAST. They don't process claims, they don't know what they're talking about, the phone reps are mismanaged. I can't stress enough to stay away from this company.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I have actually never written a bad review here before. I have been with Healthy Paws for 4 years, and never had to file a big claim. I filed a claim, for which they put in the wrong date of service on the invoice, causing it to roll into the new year and fall under the new deductible, not being covered. I have called over 4 times, holding for 30 to 40 minutes each time with no results. I have been promised that the situation has been escalated and I would receive a callback... never happened.

I submitted 4 online help questions, no response back. I am super bummed because I have referred people here. I won't do that again. I am holding again as I write this... 34 minutes this time so far. They still can't seem to fix their mistake. Apparently this is already with a supervisor as an escalated... 4 days later and nothing has happened. Super frustrated. Please beware, and really think about it. I would have been much better off setting monies aside and paying cash when needed, I will do this going forward.

Not sure about Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Pet Insurance for you.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Since its inception in 2009, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation has been improving the health of domestic animals. They offer insurance policies and fund a foundation dedicated to providing vet care to animal rescue organizations.

• Unlimited lifetime coverage: In the event of an accident or illness, there is no maximum amount that this company will reimburse for veterinary care.

• No annual maximums: With Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation, there is no maximum amount for reimbursements, so there are no limits to the treatments available for a family pet.

• Lifetime discounts: Those who insure a pet for multiple years may be eligible to receive a discounted price on their monthly premiums, making pet health insurance more affordable.

• Employee discounts available: Those who work for a corporate sponsor or partner may be eligible to receive an even larger discount.

• Mobile claim submission: As one of the first companies to offer an app with mobile claim submission functions, this organization shows their dedication to customer convenience.

• Best for: Dog lovers, cat lovers and multi-pet households.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor