Visit Site

4.3/5 (391 ratings)

About Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers one type of plan, which keeps the application process simple for customers who need standard coverage. Customers can submit claims online or using the company's mobile app, and it responds to 99 percent of claims within two days.

Pros

• Fast processing
  • No caps on payouts
  • Mobile app
  • Easy-to-understand plan

Cons

• 15-day waiting period
  • Only one plan

Bottom Line

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance makes understanding coverage simple. Healthy Paws only offers one plan, which makes it slightly limiting. However, its mobile app makes the application and claims process simple.

Top Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation?

Verified

My chihuahua terrier completely tore his ACL and the surgery was complicated and costly. ... Luckily, Lucas had been serviced by Healthy Paws and ... I ended up paying only $500 f...

Verified

When our dog unfortunately had back surgery to fix a herniated disc, [the claim] was handled smoothly and quickly. Thanks to Healthy Paws, we were compensated within a fair time f...

How does Healthy Paws Pet Insurance work?

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance helps customers cover the cost of unexpected medical expenses for their pets for a monthly price starting at around $15 for cats and $20 for dogs. Customers can go to the company's website or use its pet insurance app to apply for coverage and submit claims. The company processes 99% of claims within two days. Once approved, your pet's coverage starts after a 15-day waiting period.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance plans

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers one straightforward plan that covers up to 90% of the bill for accidents, illnesses and emergency care. Healthy Paws doesn't put a cap on lifetime, annual or per-incident claim payouts. The plan doesn't cover preexisting conditions, but this is typical of most pet insurance carriers.

For cat and dog plans, Healthy Paws covers* the following:

• Prescription medications
  • Emergency care
  • Specialty care
  • Alternative treatment

*Not applicable for preexisting conditions.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance cost

The Healthy Paws Pet Insurance cost for monthly premiums starts at $15 for cats and $20 for dogs, but the average monthly premium is around $30. Healthy Paws reimburses up to 90% of your bill and provides three deductible options: $100, $250 or $500. The main factors that determine your pet insurance rates are where you live, your plan's deductible, the type of animal you're insuring and its age and breed.

Before your pet receives coverage, it must be examined to determine your overall cost and to screen for preexisting conditions.

Healthy Paws FAQ

Does Healthy Paws cover medications?
Yes, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance covers the cost of prescription medications. It does not cover the cost of medications for behavioral modifications.
How do I make a claim with Healthy Paws Pet Insurance?
Customers can submit their Healthy Paws Pet Insurance claim form via email, fax or mail. They can also upload their paid invoice online or fill out the claim form on their smartphones by using the company's mobile app.
Does Healthy Paws cover allergies?
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance helps cover the cost of allergies if the symptoms were not present during enrollment.
Does Healthy Paws cover blood work?
Yes, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance covers blood tests when prescribed by a veterinarian.

Is Healthy Paws Pet Insurance good?

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance is an excellent option for people who want a simple, no-hassle pet insurance policy. The company has a fast and simple claims process, and its plan leaves little room for confusion when it comes to coverage and how to file a claim. The lack of options may deter some customers, but Healthy Paws' single plan is a fine option for most pet owners.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Reviews

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

My wife and I have had dogs for the past 20 years with no insurance. My wife spent almost a year researching dogs and decided to acquire a Australian labradoodle and some cost. For some reason we decided to get medical insurance. I researched numerous sites and talked to many agents. When I called Healthy Paws the person who answered did not read a script, but asked me questions and showed genuine concern for us and our new pet. We decided to go with Healthy Paws.

The first year of "Finley's" life there were no issues and since we chose the $250 deductible never had to use Healthy Paw's benefits. In the past 2 months Finley became extremely ill, and was diagnosed with Addison's disease (rarely found in young dogs). Our Vet bills mounted. I scanned our bills and easily submitted them through their website. In one day I received an email stating the claim was open, and within 3 days the amount of claim coming back to us was emailed in 3 days. A check arrived in 5 days. Very quick service (our Vet was surprised how fast and efficient Healthy Paws is when we related this information) and everything was very clear to us so we had no questions. Just grateful we went with Healthy Paws as Finley's vet bills approached $2000, and will need to be on meds and a monthly injection the rest of his life. We couldn't be more happy with our decision to enroll in Healthy Paws Insurance.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

Purchasing Healthy Paws Pet Insurance for my little Iris was one of the best pet-parent decisions I have made. I have had dogs my entire adult life, and I knew when I got Iris that I wanted to make sure that she would get all the care she needed if injury or illness occurred. I did a little research and settled on Healthy Paws, which has turned out to be a great decision.

Recently Iris injured her knee and needed major reconstructive surgery. I had not yet filed a claim with Healthy Paws in the 3+ years that we've had the policy so I was nervous how it would go (having had to fight human health insurers in the past). To my surprise and delight, the claim filing process was easy and streamlined, all online. I received follow-up emails from Healthy Paws folks shortly after filing, and my claims have all been filled without hassle within a few days of being complete. They even wrote me a personal note to check in on Iris after her surgery.

To pet owners on the fence about insurance: do it. It is affordable, and even if it means you are just paying for your pet's healthcare in monthly installments (as premiums) overtime, it still makes it worth it to ease the burden of decision when the bad news comes that illness or injury requires expensive treatment. Healthy Paws is my only experience with pet insurance, and I will unequivocally and enthusiastically recommend them to others, and will continue to use them for Iris and any other pet living in my household.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

My dogs have been insured since 2017 with no reason to file any claims up until 2021 when I realized my three year old, extremely active dog, who goes everywhere with me, started developing a lame gait. While it was very subtle and she wasn't holding up her leg, I knew something was wrong. Fast forward to diagnostics and I was informed my dog has severe hip dysplasia in both hips and her quality of life was rapidly declining. The vet told me most people cannot afford to have their dogs' hips replaced as it is one of the most expensive orthopedic procedures and they recommended me just to give her pain killers and anti-inflammatory medications to try and combat her pain and future arthritis that would come from her bones grinding on one another. This was not an option for me and I would never allow my dog to live in constant pain for something that had a solution.

Thankfully, I had zero worries due to having her ensured and I immediately booked a specialist appointment and flash forward a few months and my girl is rocking recovery with her new hip. Healthy Paws was extremely quick for her diagnostic claim then surgical claim and I had 90% of her total bill direct deposited into my bank in less than two weeks along with them checking in on her to see how she was recovering. I did my research before getting insurance and they fit every possible need and scenario I could picture in my head, and times like these are when I am happy that I ensured with Healthy Paws and know my dog will never go without the best care. Thank you all!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

Getting a pet dog is a big decision - unlike a human baby, a dog will be depending on you for food, water, and care for their whole lives! The biggest obstacle between a relationship between human and dog is most can't speak to animals and thus it's always a guessing game whenever our beloved pets don't feel well.

Selecting an insurance carrier took a lot of research as we all want the perfect balance between a dependable policy and affordable premiums. I've never got pet insurance for one of my animals before so you really need to rely on other people to get a possible policy that you may never use. We decided on a policy to cover the expensive procedures, like surgery, not for wellness exams which everyone needs to pay for anyways if you own a pet. So we decided on Healthy Paws based on the excellent reviews we read about, so we settled on the 80/20 policy - we pay 20%/Insurance pays 80%. We decided to take out policies for both our dogs as soon as they were puppies and 5 years deep in both policies, we never really used it. But boy, this was the best decision we would ever make.

Fast forward to 2021, one of our precious dogs herniated an intervertebral disk in his spine and lost use of his hind legs. Emergency surgery was needed and we knew it wouldn't be cheap. However, we were able to feel rest assured that our policy covered this procedure and within 2 weeks of the procedure, our check for 80% of the procedure was in the mail! Painless and so very efficient, no questions asked, just everything was easy and perfect! Highly recommend Healthy Paws!

Original review: July 9, 2021

“Disbelief” is the only word that comes to mind when reading the poor reviews for Healthy Paws on this website. First, in response to the people complaining about increases in cost: it is common practice for insurance premiums to be adjusted based on the total amount of money the company spends on all claims within a given year. This is not specific to Healthy Paws; they are not out to get you.

Second, after much research, I chose Healthy Paws because I wanted to make sure that I was covered in case in the future, my dog needed some long-term and costly treatment, e.g., for reoccurring cancer. Healthy Paws is one of the few (or maybe only?) pet insurance companies that do not place a lifetime cap on any illness. In fact, there’s no yearly cap either. This means that they will continue paying for your pet’s treatment regardless of how much money they’ve already spent on that particular issue throughout the pet’s lifetime. As inhumane as it may sound, this is NOT true of MOST companies. Many insurance companies will not cover cancer that has reoccurred, or will only pay X amount of dollars towards the treatment of that particular type of cancer. I encourage everyone to look into this before choosing an insurance company.

That said, Healthy Paws DOES NOT cover routine vet care or any vet appointments, and they are up front about it. But really those things were, and still are, the least of my worries. Routine care you can plan for. And vet appointments, even with top specialists, are typically a one time thing (per illness) and a couple hundred dollars max. On the other hand, a single emergency surgery will be several thousand dollars, in addition to the dog-knows-how-much the diagnostic testing costs.

Now, third, my experience with this company has been nothing but WONDERFUL. I never EVER (ever ever) anticipated using my insurance plan as much as we have. I adopted my dog in 2017 at 2 years of age with no preexisting health conditions. In less than 2 years she ended up in the doggy ER twice: first time she broke her toe while running (freak accident), second time for multiple dog bites to the back of the head. Both times all I had to do was tell the front desk staff that we have pet insurance and fill out the form they gave me. Within a day or so I got an e-mail confirming the claim and then within 1-2 weeks I was reimbursed.

But that’s the small stuff. My dog’s body hates her. If she doesn’t do physical therapy consistently, she limps on her right front limb. Nothing I do at home compares to whatever magic they do at the PT place she goes to. Healthy Paws has been paying for her twice weekly PT sessions for over TWO YEARS now. But wait, there’s more.

Despite all this PT, about 1.5 years ago we found out she has a CCL tear (the doggy equivalent of an ACL tear in humans) and needed TPLO surgery. A week or so before her scheduled surgery my dog had a horrifying event in the middle of the night — to us it appeared to be something like a seizure but we later found out it was likely either a small stroke or something called a vestibular event. Long story short, we (well, the neurologist) had a just about 2 weeks to figure out what was going on so that she could be cleared for TPLO/knee surgery. This involved lots of bloodwork, sedation, an EKG, abdominal ultrasound, some brain monitoring thing, fluid to be pulled & tested from her spine, and most costly, a brain MRI (~$3.5k).

By the time I paid for everything up to the brain MRI, my credit card was almost maxed out. And since (thankfully) nothing notable showed up on any of those exams, she was still scheduled for TPLO surgery (~$5k) in less than one week. Upon panicking, a kind staff member at the animal hospital told me about something called a Direct Pay, in which the insurance company pays the hospital directly rather than reimbursing the client at a later time. So I called Healthy Paws to inquire about a Direct Pay for both the MRI and TPLO surgery. I’d called them on a Thursday; my dog’s MRI was scheduled for that following Monday and her TPLO two days after on Wednesday. I had a couple of back & forth calls with Healthy Paws over the weekend and by Monday, her MRI was paid for. They also agreed to pay, and subsequently did pay, for her TPLO that same week.

There’s still more: of course, a year or so after she recovered from TPLO surgery, she started puking all over the place, acting funny, etc. Long story short, over several months more and more costly tests followed, including an endoscopy and cystoscopy. This required general anesthesia and biopsies were taken during each. Every single thing that she had done, I got reimbursed for within a couple weeks max. No questions asked. We can go to any facility and see any doctor we choose and as long as the appropriate medical records are sent to them, Healthy Paws pays the claims.

I am writing this review now because last week, my pup had TPLO surgery on her other knee and again, Healthy Paws did a Direct Pay for us. At this time I knew the drill and it took nothing more than a couple e-mails. They even e-mailed us to check on her a couple days later — which is how I got the idea to write this review. I still simply can’t believe all the bad reviews/ratings on this website. I’m not saying there’s foul play or anything, but my experience with Healthy Paws has just been SO different and I am SO thankful that I signed up with them.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

Healthy Paws covered 80% of our dog's $12,000 bill. We could not have done it without this insurance company. Our boy was rushed to the ER for lifesaving procedures. I contacted Healthy Paws the next day. They offered to work directly with the veterinary office and they agreed to continue treatment on our dog with a Promise To Pay Letter sent from Healthy Paws. I love how attentive the customer service line was, within minutes of getting off the phone with them, they were already in communication with the vet office. Healthy Paws was one of the best decisions we have ever made.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

Healthy Paws has been a lifesaver for my little Gus. I have it on both my Frenchies. Olivia rarely has an issue and never meets her deductible, but Gus has had some severe health issues, including a surgery for IVDD. Healthy Paws has been there every step of the way. An easy claim process, always available by phone if you need them. And best of all, checking on my boy after a claim has been paid.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

I’ve had Healthy Paws for about 2 years now and I do like the service provided however I wish there were more options. They were very caring and helpful with coverage for my dog. Reimbursement was easy. The main coverage is for sick visits, surgeries, medications. I wish there was a wellness option for vaccines and dental care. The price is affordable for 2 dogs. I am grateful for the follow up email also to check in on my dog after surgery. That meant a lot to me.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

I purchased Healthy Paws insurance a few years ago, when we got a second dog. I read reviews and chose Healthy Paws based on them. I have not been disappointed! Their website is easy to navigate, the policy was easy to set up and all of the terms are outlined. You can choose from different reimbursement percentages. I chose a 90% reimbursement. I have had to use it several times for one of our dogs, most recently when he ran into the road and was hit by a car. I uploaded the info they asked for and they responded within a day, asking for additional info if they needed it. I uploaded that and they again responded within a day.

I had all of the documentation to them on a Tuesday afternoon, and the reimbursement was direct deposited into my account Thursday morning. Having this pet insurance makes decisions about care easier. I know that with the exception of the exam, other things related to the illness or injury will be covered at my reimbursement rate. I'm grateful for the insurance and for the promptness of their response when filing a claim.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

So glad we decided to get pet insurance soon after adopting our dog when she was 7 months old. She just turned 3 and a malignant growth was discovered during a routine vet visit. Between the ultrasound and surgery, the insurance has more than covered years of payments. It is so user friendly to submit a claim online and we are always amazed at how fast the turn around and payment is.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Company Information