2.33/5
Based on 24 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a pet insurance provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

24 Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

My ragdoll kitten ended up having cryptorchidism. I purchased the policy way before this ever became an issue however, due to the veterinarian putting down that his testicles had not descended (which is perfectly normal at 2 months old), Healthy Paws used that as an excuse to not pay for his surgery. They called it a "pre-existing condition"! When I attempted to fight this, Healthy Paws representatives made it come off as if I was being ridiculous and was only after the $. This type of surgery typically costs $1,000 + dollars and keep in mind under Healthy Paws' "policy", Cryptorchidism is categorized as a hereditary issue - which should be covered according to their ads.

This company will look for any reason not to pay out what they advertise! Everything under the sun could potentially be considered a "pre-existing condition". If your cat has the sniffles one day and ends up with lung cancer - that's not paid for because of the "pre-existing condition" OR if your kitten has ear mites and later down the road develops a tumor - somehow, Healthy Paws will also categorize that as a "pre-existing condition". Absolute BS!!! I'm switching to ASPCA pet insurance!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I have been waiting SIXTEEN days since my paperwork was submitted for reimbursement. I MIGHT get it on 11/20. My dog and I are almost out of food and I only have gas for one trip somewhere. The Vet sent the paperwork, but not the invoice. HP sat on my claim for ONE week until I borrowed a phone and called them. They now offer DD but don't tell you that it takes 3-5 Business Days on their end. I could have gotten a check 3 days sooner. Doesn't seem long but when the food is being rationed and your little dog doesn't understand why she is hungry and hasn't left the house for a park in 9 days, it really hurts me DEEPLY. She is my child!!!

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I applied for insurance for my (at the time) 3-month-old female Bullmastiff. In October I took her in for a spay and Prophylactic Gastropexy. I didn't think they would cover, but there wasn't anything on their site that said they would or wouldn't. They wouldn't cover it which was fine. I understood that. But they sent me a notice saying I registered my dog as a large mixed breed. When I called them and told them I registered her as a Bullmastiff, they said I did not. I asked them to see the copy of the registration and they refused. I filled out the form on their website and I never received a copy of anything in email or regular mail. I cancelled the insurance because for a full breed dog they wanted double the price I was first quoted.

I told them since this was an error on their part, I wanted a refund for the amount that I paid them. They refused and said it was my mistake. When they answered my reviews before they always say I'm contesting the claim I filed. I AM NOT! I'm only contesting their claim that I was the one that made the error. If I did make the error, they should have sent me the sign-up form that I filled out. I filed a claim through the BBB, but HealthyPaws refused to return my money. The BBB told me I would have to file a lawsuit if I wanted to take it further. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Healthy Paws checked on my dog Gracie, she’s going through cancer treatment. It’s so hard to watch her go through this she doesn’t understand. They say her blood work looks good and hopefully I'll have lots more time with her. I can’t imagine my day without her. She waits by the door every morning to go to work with me. The other dogs run to the kitchen for food, but not her she just patiently sits by the door waiting to go with me. I have no idea why. I'm not usually popular with some people, I've never been a natural beauty, but to her, I'm her world.

It breaks my heart and everything in me to watch her go through this. I know I'll never be the same without her... She has been probably the best part of my life...

I’ve been paying on pet insurance a long time, sometimes I would wonder if I was being stumped. And for years I never needed it, I would think from time to time about canceling it but, I knew if a real emergency came up I would need it. I thought if I was ever in an emergency room with my dog I wouldn’t want to have to euthanize because I didn’t have the money. Then I worried about them finding an excuse after all of these years of paying to not pay or help with a claim when it came down to it.

When I called them about my dog having cancer, I really thought negative... That there’s is no way this company is really going to come through. If they weren’t going to help I for sure can not afford this, but I can’t let my best friend down she deserves a chance. Healthy Paws shocked me and helped give me hope for my precious Gracie. They have paid all of her bills minus the deductible. Thank the good Lord I kept this policy and that they are actually an incredible company. I’m still wondering if it’s too good to be true...

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I sent in receipts for my 4 Siamese cats. I called numerous times to see if they were processed. All I was given was the same story. "We only received receipts for two cats". I called again. They said, "We only received a receipt for one cat". Are you that unorganized. How is that possible when they were all neatly, professionally put together and sent to you. Now as of today November 8, 2018 your rep Shelly tells me, "Well if you cancel the policy we can't pay you." Well you have not paid me anyway. Have you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

We purchased Healthy Paws last year for our 8 week old miniature schnauzer. When we spoke with the agent we were advised that the average annual rate increase was 3%. Guess again! On our dog's one year birthday we received a notice that our rate would increase over 18%. When we called to inquire as to why such a high rate increase we were advised that our specific area (zip code) had a major jump in pet care costs, thus, the need to increase our premiums. The agent also denied that we would have been given a 3% increase quote. (Basically called us liars). Since the calls are recorded we recommended they pull the audio file). We had zero claims for the year and had purchased a $250 annual deductible with 80% coverage and no annual caps. We have canceled the policy and are very disappointed in the fact that Healthy Paws used a "teaser rate" to suck us in.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have used Healthy Paws Pet Insurance for my 5 year old French Bulldog since she was a baby. I chose them after reading as much as I could online and comparing rates, reviews, and coverage. My dog needed a $4,000 leg operation at 6 months old (COVERED). She has always been plagued with gastro-digestive problems and they have never questioned any of the submitted invoices. They always pay 90% of operations, procedures, tests, and medicine. I only pay for office visits and vaccinations. I have paid them about $3900 in last 5 years for premiums. (She is currently $75 per month, which is not high for Frenchies!) They have given me back at least DOUBLE that amount - no questions asked!! I won't be stating they're "THE BEST", because no one should say that when they don't know for certain. But I will say for me, they are EXCELLENT and I hear it from many many doctors and dog owners.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Despite what they claim, they will jack up your prices every year. For two mixed breed dogs, I started at under $75 a month. This year they were increasing my rate from $119 (which is already too high) to $150 a month for the two dogs. They have doubled my premiums in just four years! I think they bank on people getting the coverage when their dogs are young and don't need much care. Since they jack up the prices every year, people will drop the coverage before their dogs get older and need more medical care. These guys are shady, steer clear.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I’ve had Healthy Paws insurance for my dog for 4 years now at the policy cost went up 100% since we got signed up. My dog doesn’t have any health conditions, doesn’t skip the annual exams and always up to date on her vaccinations. Please be aware that the vet fees and vaccinations are not covered by Healthy Paws insurance. At the time I signed up for this insurance I was assured that the cost will may go up by $2-3 annually. Well that was a lie. These people are greedy and they will keep on increasing your policy cost beyond any reason. I just received another notice of policy increase and will be canceling. I’m very disappointed!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I've had the policy 4 years for 3 dogs. Every year they increased the cost by 10-15% and this year it's 20% and I've only had a couple of claims over the years for only one of my dogs. And it was all small stuff. My dogs are 5, 5, and 4 years old so this is crazy. I'm probably just going to drop it altogether and save the money instead. Or get a cheaper supplementary insurance. It's just unfair and impractical considering all the annual increases and all the things they don't cover.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Hello... I don't typically write reviews but I really want to let everyone know that Healthy Paws has provided me with exceptional service! When my best pal Laila needed surgery, they not only made the claim process simple, but also sent benefit payments quickly. A+. Thank you Healthy Paws!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

My pets' insurance policy came up for renewal. We have 2 dogs on the policy. Both premiums went up by 20% even though we didn't even meet the deductible to have any claims paid back to us through the last year. When I questioned them about this I was told that because other people had a lot of claims that caused my premiums to go up. I don't think that's fair if my dogs are healthy that I'm expected to endure higher premiums.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

My dog tore his ACL. He needed TPLO surgery. They paid 80% of the vet bill (minus deductible). Then he tore his other ACL and needed surgery on that. They paid 80% of that too. The total cost for both surgeries was over $12,000 and they paid $9,000. Payments were timely. I paid with credit card and I had their reimbursement before I had to pay my credit card bill. There was never an issue. Great company, great policy and it was a lifesaver.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I’ve made various small claims ranging from $100-$500 for my 2 dogs since signing up with Healthy Paws about a year ago, and they have always paid out. Recently, we discovered one of my dogs had a defected soft palate so he had surgery to correct it at the same time as he was getting neutered. The bill including the neuter was $3,700, and Healthy Paws covered $3,500 of it. Very happy!

Original review: July 8, 2018

I switched from a prior pet insurance company and am very happy with everything so far. About 6 months after signing up, my dog developed a soft tissue sarcoma. I opted for extensive diagnostics and ultimately went through with a leg amputation. In 2 months, I racked up a bill of close to $10,000. Healthy Paws paid its 90%, minus my $500 deductible and about $400 in exam fees. The first claim took about 2 weeks to complete/pay and once my dog was in the system, payment took about 7 business days. Customer service was pleasant and I've done most of my business with them online. Very satisfied. Be advised that you should read the policy rules and exclusions before signing up and make sure you understand everything first.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I purchased Healthy Paws Insurance almost a year ago. I submitted a claim for severe pain in paw at the after hours Emergency Pet Clinic. The diagnosis was a scorpion sting. I submitted a claim to the insurance. Claim was denied due to waiting period. Claim was denied due to preexisting condition with the second request claim. A third request was denied for not covered by family vet and records. They just kept making excuses to pay out. I immediately canceled insurance on my dog. In the year I paid almost $600. Zero money was reimbursed to me. I was warned that pet insurance won’t pay out. It was true.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I am so angry right now. I changed my billing method last month and was assured it was all changed over and cancelled at the other end. Voila, double charged and I also received a $40 insufficient fund charge as I was in the process of closing the original account I used, which I had explained to the agent. I called and the girl I spoke to WOULD NOT agree that I was double charged, kept saying she didn't see it anywhere, yet she continued to quote my two separate bank account numbers. Finally she said she would pass it on to "Ops", I asked when and she said immediately and this is day four. The agent was very snippy and rude. I will probably cancel my insurance if this is not sorted out immediately. Bad customer service on two counts!

Original review: May 3, 2018

My dog got sick with vomiting and the runs and week after Bravecto. Then I looked at the web page. 7.1% of dogs get these symptoms. Prolonged these symptoms can lead to death from kidney failure. I then took my dog to the emergency pet hospital for fluids to protect her kidneys. So far a bill of about $650 was submitted to Healthy Paws Pet insurance but they are only giving me $50 credit toward the $250 deductible. They pay for almost nothing in an emergency which is why I pay them every month. Do not get this insurance - put some money aside every month instead.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I chose Healthy Paws because I thought it was the very best. It is not. I purchased to best coverage. I purchased policies for 4 dogs in 2014. Since then my rates have increased 62%. This year's increase alone is 25%. This insurance is terrible. They know they get you because now 4 years later my dogs would be at a higher rate if I chose a new insurance company. And any minor issues they've had in the last 4 years such as ear infections would now be considered pre-existing if I switched to a new company. Don't make the mistake I made. Do NOT choose Healthy Paws for your pet insurance. Very dissatisfied customer.

I understand increases are necessary each year. But telling me you have to increase my costs by 25% this year alone because the "insurance commissioner" won't let you charge me less is insulting. DON'T get this coverage. Healthy Paws will increase your premiums ridiculously. It is a bait and switch operation clearly. Reasonable rates when you start but not for long. And it's not due to the age of my pet. Two of the dogs I have covered are only 4 years old. Be warned. You will be ripped off by Healthy Paws.

Original review: March 16, 2018

This company took forever to process my pet's claim even after they had all necessary records. It took 4 phone calls over a 2 week period to find out why the claim was just sitting without being processed. After all of this nothing was covered. I read the fine print and they seem to make up exclusions along the way to avoid having to pay anything. Complete lack of communication, and once you get someone on the phone they don't seem to have a clue as to what's going on. Stay away from them... Run fast!!

Original review: July 15, 2017

I cancelled this policy over a month ago using their app. I was billed again. I again contacted them by email and again they billed my account. If they are this incompetent in dealing with a simple administrative procedure just how good will they be when your pet's life is on the line. I have never seen such a disregard for customer care nor this level of administrative incompetence in my life.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I paid into this policy for 2 years without submitting any major claims. When I finally submit a claim for my dog's recent knee surgery, which cost $3000.00, they refuse to pay! They claim it is a preexisting condition, even though it did not arise until after I purchased the policy. The bottom line is that this company will look for any reason to avoid paying out on a policy, even after gladly taking a customer's money for years. Do not buy with them, they are a complete scam!

Original review: July 5, 2017

This company is quick to take your dollar, but slow to reimburse. They love to flag claims, after a four year member, to review in order to delay payment. I regret ever choosing Healthy Paws!! Once your pet has a condition, it’s IMPOSSIBLE to go to another provider, due to that condition being ruled pre-existing!

Original review: June 19, 2015

I have been going to a very well known Pet Grooming place for almost 4 years now. I recently needed to have my dog's hair trimmed within a matter of hours for a family gathering and my usual spot could not accommodate me. I found Healthy Paws and I am more than amazed with the level of professionalism and also the level of dedication they had to make my dog feel like one of their own. #newdogspot!

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Since its inception in 2009, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation has been improving the health of domestic animals. They offer insurance policies and fund a foundation dedicated to providing vet care to animal rescue organizations.

• Unlimited lifetime coverage: In the event of an accident or illness, there is no maximum amount that this company will reimburse for veterinary care.

• No annual maximums: With Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation, there is no maximum amount for reimbursements, so there are no limits to the treatments available for a family pet.

• Lifetime discounts: Those who insure a pet for multiple years may be eligible to receive a discounted price on their monthly premiums, making pet health insurance more affordable.

• Employee discounts available: Those who work for a corporate sponsor or partner may be eligible to receive an even larger discount.

• Mobile claim submission: As one of the first companies to offer an app with mobile claim submission functions, this organization shows their dedication to customer convenience.

• Best for: Dog lovers, cat lovers and multi-pet households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky