2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.19/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers one type of plan, which keeps the application process simple for customers who need standard coverage. Customers can submit claims online or using the company's mobile app, and it responds to 99 percent of claims within two days.

BOTTOM LINE

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance makes understanding coverage simple. Healthy Paws only offers one plan, which makes it slightly limiting. However, its mobile app makes the application and claims process simple.

PROS

• Fast processing
    • No caps on payouts
    • Mobile app
    • Easy-to-understand plan

CONS

• 15-day waiting period
    • Only one plan

Top Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation?

My chihuahua terrier completely tore his ACL and the surgery was complicated and costly. ... Luckily, Lucas had been serviced by Healthy Paws and ... I ended up paying only $500 for my dog's pre-surgery consult, surgery and post-surgery check! Overall wonderful service.

When our dog unfortunately had back surgery to fix a herniated disc, [the claim] was handled smoothly and quickly. Thanks to Healthy Paws, we were compensated within a fair time frame. This interaction after 3+ years of premium made me feel great about the decision to go with this provider.

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

How does Healthy Paws Pet Insurance work?

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance helps customers cover the cost of unexpected medical expenses for their pets for a monthly price starting at around $15 for cats and $20 for dogs. Customers can go to the company's website or use its pet insurance app to apply for coverage and submit claims. The company processes 99% of claims within two days. Once approved, your pet's coverage starts after a 15-day waiting period.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance plans

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers one straightforward plan that covers up to 90% of the bill for accidents, illnesses and emergency care. Healthy Paws doesn't put a cap on lifetime, annual or per-incident claim payouts. The plan doesn't cover preexisting conditions, but this is typical of most pet insurance carriers.

For cat and dog plans, Healthy Paws covers* the following:

• Prescription medications
        • Emergency care
        • Specialty care
        • Alternative treatment

*Not applicable for preexisting conditions.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance cost

The Healthy Paws Pet Insurance cost for monthly premiums starts at $15 for cats and $20 for dogs, but the average monthly premium is around $30. Healthy Paws reimburses up to 90% of your bill and provides three deductible options: $100, $250 or $500. The main factors that determine your pet insurance rates are where you live, your plan's deductible, the type of animal you're insuring and its age and breed.

Before your pet receives coverage, it must be examined to determine your overall cost and to screen for preexisting conditions.

Healthy Paws FAQ

Does Healthy Paws cover medications?
        Yes, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance covers the cost of prescription medications. It does not cover the cost of medications for behavioral modifications.
        How do I make a claim with Healthy Paws Pet Insurance?
        Customers can submit their Healthy Paws Pet Insurance claim form via email, fax or mail. They can also upload their paid invoice online or fill out the claim form on their smartphones by using the company's mobile app.
        Does Healthy Paws cover allergies?
        Healthy Paws Pet Insurance helps cover the cost of allergies if the symptoms were not present during enrollment.
        Does Healthy Paws cover blood work?
        Yes, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance covers blood tests when prescribed by a veterinarian.

Is Healthy Paws Pet Insurance good?

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance is an excellent option for people who want a simple, no-hassle pet insurance policy. The company has a fast and simple claims process, and its plan leaves little room for confusion when it comes to coverage and how to file a claim. The lack of options may deter some customers, but Healthy Paws' single plan is a fine option for most pet owners.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Reviews

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

It was a emergency situation. I was watching my roommates rescue dog. She had just took him in like 8 days prior and she also had to leave town on a family emergency so you can see it was a terrible situation. She didnt have insurance yet and he got pretty sick so I called around and found Healthy Paws. At first I couldnt afford all up front fee and the person I talked to wasnt very compassionate or friendly? So I asked for someone else. I wasn't giving up. This dog needed medical attention. I finally was approved at a fee I could work with. It would be tight on the home front but we were fine and our rescue dog Titian was feeling great! Thank You. I am so thankful. Now I have coverage built up for Titians well check ups and other things also? It really puts my mind at ease! I love this big baby Titian.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I am writing to pat this insurance company on the back. What would I do without you? It was the most horrendous year of my life, and without Healthy Paws, I would really be up a creek. In Nov. 2019, my 6 year old dog, Polly, was diagnosed with IVDD and had extensive tests. Sadly, after working with her for several weeks, she was making no progress and had to be put down. That was SO hard, and HP came in to help with the lion's share of my bills.

Not much later, I got another small dog so that my more senior dachshund/terrier wouldn't be lonely. This sweet little dog and my older girl were in dog crates in the back of my car on the way to a happy day at the dog park. The day was cut short when someone ran a red light and plowed into the right rear quarter panel of my car. The little pup wasn't covered, and though we tried valiantly to save her, she sustained too many injuries to survive. My older girl was in ICU for a week and had her spleen removed... most of which HP paid for. I would not have been able to do all I did for my surviving dog without HP. It took a while to take on another dog... I was in mourning for quite some time after the wreck, but I did get a new girl finally, Abby. I made sure she was covered by HP!

After a month or so, we noticed she was losing weight drastically. After several tests, it turned out she wasn't producing enough Pancreatic enzymes. She's now on medication that she'll need the rest of her life, and once again... Thanks to HP I can take proper care of her. More recently, my older girl was diagnosed with a ruptured salivary gland. You guessed it - more tests and surgery!

So, for the past year and a half, Healthy Paws has been like an invisible friend that helps my pups when the chips are down. They pay quickly and rarely flinch when I turn in my paperwork. They will always be my insurance company of choice! I dinged them one star for the $500 deductible and for not covering office visits. But, gosh... just wanted to thank them from the bottom of my heart for being there for us. It's been the worst year and a half of my life and could have been so much worse!

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

We had a great experience with Healthy Paws. One morning our cat Harry wasn't moving. He hadn't been eating or drinking for a couple of days. That started a process of contacting our vet, taking Harry to the Emergency room, getting some treatment and tests, back to the Vet, and into a multi-day stay in the Hospital, with Vet followups. During that time it appeared in initial tests he might have cancer, which scared us silly. It turned out not to be cancer, and Harry finally did get better. Needless to say though, before we knew it, the bills for the tests, vet stays, etc. skyrocketed and caused havoc with our budget. Healthy Paws was wonderful in working with us, and while everything wasn't covered a big chunk of it was. We are incredibly grateful.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

Healthy Paws does typically increase premiums annually but their coverage and claims process makes it worth it. Healthy Paws has been nothing but the best for me and my dog, Emmett. I sing their praises whenever someone asks me about pet insurance. Emmett recently (3 weeks ago) had to get multiple MRIs and x-rays done and was diagnosed with multiple bulging discs causing nerve issues. Healthy Paws covered all the diagnostics and his new medications with no complications — and completed the claim before Christmas. Healthy Paws makes it possible for me to give my dog the best vet treatments knowing I’ll be reimbursed.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Nothing but great experiences with this insurance company. I was originally with Trupanion and moved to Healthy Paws as it was both cheaper and the policy/coverage was a far better structure. Since moving over we have had a number of visits to the vet and unfortunately an overnight at the emergency pet hospital. Our dog Jura was extremely sick and the team at Healthy Paws really made the claims process so simple. The team reached out following Jura's stay to check in on her and see how she was recovering. It was a really personal touch showing empathy and concern for our beloved family member. I have never experienced any issues in reimbursement of my claims for items within coverage. Wholeheartedly recommend.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

Don't waste your time or money. They denied my claim on my kitten because previously he had a hairball when he was smaller and because I used words like "hacking" and "breathing weird" they said he had pre signup symptoms. Per my vet and medical records my cat was diagnosed and treated for a hairball. He was not diagnosed with or had problems with asthma until 8 months later when he was diagnosed with kitty asthma. He obviously was breathing weird because he was trying to cough it up. Much different than how he is now. They obviously are just going to search for a reason to not help than help. Spread the word and avoid Healthy Paws if you want my advice! Btw, I'm a nurse, the breathing described and discussed with my vet were very different. I was only panicked with the hairball because unfortunately a couple months before my cat suddenly died.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

This is a rip-off company. All these advertising about covering for drugs and medical bill is all a lie. They only cover accidental so getting hit by a car is a very few that qualify and that's it. Stomachache, diarrhea, food poisons, fleas, skin condition, ear infection, you get ZERO. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

My Dog is now five years old. I got HP Ins for him back in January 2017 when I adopted him. We started at $34 per month. Every year the premium is increased by $12 to $13. I am now on track to pay $70 per month. This is an over 100% increase in monthly premiums. My dog is healthy and has not needed to use the insurance. I am now dropping coverage as it will be cheaper to save or invest this money and pay out of pocket. This is a scam they will increase till you drop out. My dog life span is 13 to 15 years. I can only imagine what that premium will be.

Year Premium Annually Deductible Total
          2030 $190.00 $2,280.00 $250.00 $2,530.00
          2031 $202.00 $2,424.00 $250.00 $2,674.00
          Prem. Deduct. Total

Total $21,240.00 $3,750.00 $24,990.00

Life of my dog I will be paying $21,0240 in premiums and up to $3,750 in deductibles. For a total of $24,990.00. Save your money!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

This is a great company. I have never had a problem. My cat, Monica, got really ill and eventually passed but they were with me all of the ways through. I just got a new cat and am signing up with them again. I really like HP because you save money w/ the monthly premium because they don't cover routine visits/shots. I need insurance for emergencies, not routine visits. Thanks!

Resolution response: Nov. 11, 2020

The company has audited the claim and found an error and will now take care of the bills. Thanks, Healthy Paws for getting this resolved.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

Stay Away! We got Healthy Paw Pet Insurance for our dog a few weeks ago. After two weeks my dog got a laceration on her ears that must have happened during the night and needed stitches. We went to the vet and they had to do surgery the next day. After filing the claim with them, they denied it calling it a preexisting condition. (The injury happened during the night or early morning our waiting time was over.) I understand a waiting period so people don't get insurance for a sick dog after the fact but this not ok. This company is not honest. I get insurance for my dog and get stuck with paying the premium and the $900? Not only that, they also do not count the money I already spent toward a deductible. This company is a scam.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Company Information