1.79/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation

Need a pet insurance provider?

65 Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 15, 2019

In October 2018, my then-4 yo chihuahua terrier completely tore his ACL and because of his breed and knee structure, the surgery was complicated and costly. My family did not have $5,000+ to pay for the surgery, and the vet doesn't do payment plans. Luckily, Lucas (the dog) had been serviced by Healthy Paws for over a year and we felt comfortable with the claim process. Usually these insurances are reimbursement based, but because it was such a large amount, I talked to a HPPI representative and was able to get them to pay their part up front (90%!) and I ended up paying only $500 for my dog's pre-surgery consult, surgery, and post-surgery check! And, because of their unlimited lifetime claims (unlike other providers) I have no worries that I am going to run out of insurance money as he ages (since he's just a pup). Overall wonderful service. I am thinking of also adding my spouse's cat to our insurance policy too.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I can't say enough about Healthy Paws and how it has been a life saver for me and saved me so much money and stress in the end. I have read other reviews about how they have increased their rates every year and I have experienced the same except it was more like every 2-3 years. I have 2 dogs and at times when money was tight, I thought about canceling my policy since I kept my dogs healthy and take them in for their routine check-ups. Here I am 8 years later, and I am so glad I did not cancel.

In December, my 8-year-old German Shepherd started limping. I took him to my vet and they did an x-ray and discovered severe erosion of his femoral head which was suspect of either a bone infection or bone cancer. I had to take him in for an MRI and biopsy which cost over $5,000. After the first result came back with mixed opinions, I had to consult with a Veterinary Oncologist and got the same mixed opinions. In the meantime, while I was waiting for the results, my 9-year-old female German Shepherd suddenly collapsed in January. I had to rush her to the Emergency Vet (close to $3,000) to find out she had end-stage Hemangiosarcoma. I chose not to put her down right away and chose to use alternative treatments for her to make her final weeks more comfortable which they covered the majority of those expenses.

Sadly she is no longer with us but Healthy Paws was so great to notice on her final bills that we had to put her down. I didn't have to call to cancel as that was the last thing on my mind. They went ahead and canceled her policy and credit a portion that was already paid. They even sent me a condolence card hand signed by those at Healthy Paws which brought tears to my eyes. I can go on and on but I will end this note by saying that if I did not have Healthy Paws I would probably have to put both my dogs down early on as I would not be able to afford the $20,000 in veterinary expenses I have incurred in the past 3 months. Plus they have been easy to work with whenever I called and have been so caring and compassionate when it came to the loss of my dog. Rest in peace, my dear Zoe.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

The BEST decision I ever made was to insure my Havanese with Healthy Paws. I shopped for months before Jesse came to me. I don't even think Jesse was even born yet while I was shopping :), because I knew my next companion would have health insurance. Like yourself, I read reviews and I wanted to be sure I found the right Insurance company to insure Jesse's health through his years and it had to be the best. I feel everyone in Healthy Paws are awesome and I appreciate all they do to help me help Jesse!! They have been always there every time no matter. I have been a client since 2011 and OH! How time does fly!! Through the years starting with the help from customer services, they are always there when I needed a shoulder with there sincere comfort.

I have been blessed with Healthy Paws Insurance caring for my dear loving companion Jesse. You will be blessed as Jess and I have been. Open your heart and Insure your babe with Healthy Paws Insurance and see it for yourself. Don't take anyone's negative or positive remarks, you just have to be a part of the Healthy Paws family to see the sincerity from the start for yourself. Just like us, our babies need to have health Insurance and Healthy Paws has the best plans ever that are the most affordable with the great customer services. It starts from the beginning and you will be satisfied at the end. Good Luck with your decision and I hope my review gave you contentment with your choices. Thank you so much for being a part of mine and Jesse's family Healthy Paws!! God Bless you.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Healthy Paws checked on my dog Gracie, she’s going through cancer treatment. It’s so hard to watch her go through this she doesn’t understand. They say her blood work looks good and hopefully I'll have lots more time with her. I can’t imagine my day without her. She waits by the door every morning to go to work with me. The other dogs run to the kitchen for food, but not her she just patiently sits by the door waiting to go with me. I have no idea why. I'm not usually popular with some people, I've never been a natural beauty, but to her, I'm her world.

It breaks my heart and everything in me to watch her go through this. I know I'll never be the same without her... She has been probably the best part of my life...

I’ve been paying on pet insurance a long time, sometimes I would wonder if I was being stumped. And for years I never needed it, I would think from time to time about canceling it but, I knew if a real emergency came up I would need it. I thought if I was ever in an emergency room with my dog I wouldn’t want to have to euthanize because I didn’t have the money. Then I worried about them finding an excuse after all of these years of paying to not pay or help with a claim when it came down to it.

When I called them about my dog having cancer, I really thought negative... That there’s is no way this company is really going to come through. If they weren’t going to help I for sure can not afford this, but I can’t let my best friend down she deserves a chance. Healthy Paws shocked me and helped give me hope for my precious Gracie. They have paid all of her bills minus the deductible. Thank the good Lord I kept this policy and that they are actually an incredible company. I’m still wondering if it’s too good to be true...

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have used Healthy Paws Pet Insurance for my 5 year old French Bulldog since she was a baby. I chose them after reading as much as I could online and comparing rates, reviews, and coverage. My dog needed a $4,000 leg operation at 6 months old (COVERED). She has always been plagued with gastro-digestive problems and they have never questioned any of the submitted invoices. They always pay 90% of operations, procedures, tests, and medicine. I only pay for office visits and vaccinations. I have paid them about $3900 in last 5 years for premiums. (She is currently $75 per month, which is not high for Frenchies!) They have given me back at least DOUBLE that amount - no questions asked!! I won't be stating they're "THE BEST", because no one should say that when they don't know for certain. But I will say for me, they are EXCELLENT and I hear it from many many doctors and dog owners.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I've been paying $85.33 a month to have both of my dogs covered for years in the event that one of them got sick. Well, this year one of them ended up in the hospital. The bill was $2677.91. I'm supposed to pay the $250 deductible and Healthy Paws is supposed to pay $2477.91 (80% of the cost). Instead, they denied the claim, stating they did not have the medical records when I know that the records have been sent to them numerous times. I have even sent them myself. They are a total scam. Do not give them a dime. They will not help your pet.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

Two of our dogs had insurance through them but they cancelled our insurance and won’t let us back. They said we didn’t pay insurance for few months. It’s a lie and they don’t get us back in. I don’t know what to do with my old dog with cancer. New pet insurance won’t cover previous problems. Maybe Healthy Paws cancelled us since one of my dog has a cancer and using insurance to have surgeries. I don’t recommend Healthy Paws.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I am a member. HP did not cover a taurine blood level test initiated by my vet, even though I was informed by HP that they would. I cannot get anyone to answer the phone or call me back. Has anyone else had a problem getting hold of them?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Updated on 08/09/2019: I posted a review a few hours earlier today. As a follow up, I finally got to speak to someone who was able to answer my questions on how to hopefully get my claims paid. It was 1hr 33 minutes before my call was answered. And an additional 17 minutes before I was able to get off the phone. All totaled...1hr 50min 2 seconds. And I still have to resubmit my claims. During the call the woman told me she has a lot of "pet parents" complain due to long wait times and slow or frustrating claim processing and that the people I had spoken to before today were no longer working there so Monday I will resubmit all of my claims to hopefully be paid. Then I will be running as fast as I can to another company. Ridiculous.

I have 2 dogs insured thru Healthy Paws. I have repeatedly submitted claims for emergency treatments on one of my puppies. These claims date back to January 2019. I have been told my claim is closed due to a lack of medical record submission. Every time I have called the wait is 30 to 40 minutes. As of this moment I've been on hold for 48 minutes. When someone did answer he was unable to help me with a claim even though I pressed all the right buttons. So, they keep taking my money every month and refuse to pay my claim. I'm told if I cancel my policy my claims will be permanently closed and I have no chance of ever recovering any of my money. WORST SERVICE EVER!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I signed up for their pet coverage for my mixed breed dog, with no preexisting conditions, when she was under 1 year old. The premiums were raised considerably every year and she is only 4 years old now, and still healthy. The plan doesn't cover office visits, preventative care, etc. So unless your pet has a catastrophic injury or illness it is not worth it. Better to put the same amount for monthly premium into a savings account.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Since its inception in 2009, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation has been improving the health of domestic animals. They offer insurance policies and fund a foundation dedicated to providing vet care to animal rescue organizations.

• Unlimited lifetime coverage: In the event of an accident or illness, there is no maximum amount that this company will reimburse for veterinary care.

• No annual maximums: With Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation, there is no maximum amount for reimbursements, so there are no limits to the treatments available for a family pet.

• Lifetime discounts: Those who insure a pet for multiple years may be eligible to receive a discounted price on their monthly premiums, making pet health insurance more affordable.

• Employee discounts available: Those who work for a corporate sponsor or partner may be eligible to receive an even larger discount.

• Mobile claim submission: As one of the first companies to offer an app with mobile claim submission functions, this organization shows their dedication to customer convenience.

• Best for: Dog lovers, cat lovers and multi-pet households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky