2.50/5
Based on 16 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a pet insurance provider?

16 Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I’ve had Healthy Paws insurance for my dog for 4 years now at the policy cost went up 100% since we got signed up. My dog doesn’t have any health conditions, doesn’t skip the annual exams and always up to date on her vaccinations. Please be aware that the vet fees and vaccinations are not covered by Healthy Paws insurance. At the time I signed up for this insurance I was assured that the cost will may go up by $2-3 annually. Well that was a lie. These people are greedy and they will keep on increasing your policy cost beyond any reason. I just received another notice of policy increase and will be canceling. I’m very disappointed!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I've had the policy 4 years for 3 dogs. Every year they increased the cost by 10-15% and this year it's 20% and I've only had a couple of claims over the years for only one of my dogs. And it was all small stuff. My dogs are 5, 5, and 4 years old so this is crazy. I'm probably just going to drop it altogether and save the money instead. Or get a cheaper supplementary insurance. It's just unfair and impractical considering all the annual increases and all the things they don't cover.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Hello... I don't typically write reviews but I really want to let everyone know that Healthy Paws has provided me with exceptional service! When my best pal Laila needed surgery, they not only made the claim process simple, but also sent benefit payments quickly. A+. Thank you Healthy Paws!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

My pets' insurance policy came up for renewal. We have 2 dogs on the policy. Both premiums went up by 20% even though we didn't even meet the deductible to have any claims paid back to us through the last year. When I questioned them about this I was told that because other people had a lot of claims that caused my premiums to go up. I don't think that's fair if my dogs are healthy that I'm expected to endure higher premiums.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

My dog tore his ACL. He needed TPLO surgery. They paid 80% of the vet bill (minus deductible). Then he tore his other ACL and needed surgery on that. They paid 80% of that too. The total cost for both surgeries was over $12,000 and they paid $9,000. Payments were timely. I paid with credit card and I had their reimbursement before I had to pay my credit card bill. There was never an issue. Great company, great policy and it was a lifesaver.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation?

Original review: July 17, 2018

I’ve made various small claims ranging from $100-$500 for my 2 dogs since signing up with Healthy Paws about a year ago, and they have always paid out. Recently, we discovered one of my dogs had a defected soft palate so he had surgery to correct it at the same time as he was getting neutered. The bill including the neuter was $3,700, and Healthy Paws covered $3,500 of it. Very happy!

Original review: July 8, 2018

I switched from a prior pet insurance company and am very happy with everything so far. About 6 months after signing up, my dog developed a soft tissue sarcoma. I opted for extensive diagnostics and ultimately went through with a leg amputation. In 2 months, I racked up a bill of close to $10,000. Healthy Paws paid its 90%, minus my $500 deductible and about $400 in exam fees. The first claim took about 2 weeks to complete/pay and once my dog was in the system, payment took about 7 business days. Customer service was pleasant and I've done most of my business with them online. Very satisfied. Be advised that you should read the policy rules and exclusions before signing up and make sure you understand everything first.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I purchased Healthy Paws Insurance almost a year ago. I submitted a claim for severe pain in paw at the after hours Emergency Pet Clinic. The diagnosis was a scorpion sting. I submitted a claim to the insurance. Claim was denied due to waiting period. Claim was denied due to preexisting condition with the second request claim. A third request was denied for not covered by family vet and records. They just kept making excuses to pay out. I immediately canceled insurance on my dog. In the year I paid almost $600. Zero money was reimbursed to me. I was warned that pet insurance won’t pay out. It was true.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I am so angry right now. I changed my billing method last month and was assured it was all changed over and cancelled at the other end. Voila, double charged and I also received a $40 insufficient fund charge as I was in the process of closing the original account I used, which I had explained to the agent. I called and the girl I spoke to WOULD NOT agree that I was double charged, kept saying she didn't see it anywhere, yet she continued to quote my two separate bank account numbers. Finally she said she would pass it on to "Ops", I asked when and she said immediately and this is day four. The agent was very snippy and rude. I will probably cancel my insurance if this is not sorted out immediately. Bad customer service on two counts!

Original review: May 3, 2018

My dog got sick with vomiting and the runs and week after Bravecto. Then I looked at the web page. 7.1% of dogs get these symptoms. Prolonged these symptoms can lead to death from kidney failure. I then took my dog to the emergency pet hospital for fluids to protect her kidneys. So far a bill of about $650 was submitted to Healthy Paws Pet insurance but they are only giving me $50 credit toward the $250 deductible. They pay for almost nothing in an emergency which is why I pay them every month. Do not get this insurance - put some money aside every month instead.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I chose Healthy Paws because I thought it was the very best. It is not. I purchased to best coverage. I purchased policies for 4 dogs in 2014. Since then my rates have increased 62%. This year's increase alone is 25%. This insurance is terrible. They know they get you because now 4 years later my dogs would be at a higher rate if I chose a new insurance company. And any minor issues they've had in the last 4 years such as ear infections would now be considered pre-existing if I switched to a new company. Don't make the mistake I made. Do NOT choose Healthy Paws for your pet insurance. Very dissatisfied customer.

I understand increases are necessary each year. But telling me you have to increase my costs by 25% this year alone because the "insurance commissioner" won't let you charge me less is insulting. DON'T get this coverage. Healthy Paws will increase your premiums ridiculously. It is a bait and switch operation clearly. Reasonable rates when you start but not for long. And it's not due to the age of my pet. Two of the dogs I have covered are only 4 years old. Be warned. You will be ripped off by Healthy Paws.

Original review: March 16, 2018

This company took forever to process my pet's claim even after they had all necessary records. It took 4 phone calls over a 2 week period to find out why the claim was just sitting without being processed. After all of this nothing was covered. I read the fine print and they seem to make up exclusions along the way to avoid having to pay anything. Complete lack of communication, and once you get someone on the phone they don't seem to have a clue as to what's going on. Stay away from them... Run fast!!

Original review: July 15, 2017

I cancelled this policy over a month ago using their app. I was billed again. I again contacted them by email and again they billed my account. If they are this incompetent in dealing with a simple administrative procedure just how good will they be when your pet's life is on the line. I have never seen such a disregard for customer care nor this level of administrative incompetence in my life.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I paid into this policy for 2 years without submitting any major claims. When I finally submit a claim for my dog's recent knee surgery, which cost $3000.00, they refuse to pay! They claim it is a preexisting condition, even though it did not arise until after I purchased the policy. The bottom line is that this company will look for any reason to avoid paying out on a policy, even after gladly taking a customer's money for years. Do not buy with them, they are a complete scam!

Original review: July 5, 2017

This company is quick to take your dollar, but slow to reimburse. They love to flag claims, after a four year member, to review in order to delay payment. I regret ever choosing Healthy Paws!! Once your pet has a condition, it’s IMPOSSIBLE to go to another provider, due to that condition being ruled pre-existing!

Original review: June 19, 2015

I have been going to a very well known Pet Grooming place for almost 4 years now. I recently needed to have my dog's hair trimmed within a matter of hours for a family gathering and my usual spot could not accommodate me. I found Healthy Paws and I am more than amazed with the level of professionalism and also the level of dedication they had to make my dog feel like one of their own. #newdogspot!

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Since its inception in 2009, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation has been improving the health of domestic animals. They offer insurance policies and fund a foundation dedicated to providing vet care to animal rescue organizations.

• Unlimited lifetime coverage: In the event of an accident or illness, there is no maximum amount that this company will reimburse for veterinary care.

• No annual maximums: With Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation, there is no maximum amount for reimbursements, so there are no limits to the treatments available for a family pet.

• Lifetime discounts: Those who insure a pet for multiple years may be eligible to receive a discounted price on their monthly premiums, making pet health insurance more affordable.

• Employee discounts available: Those who work for a corporate sponsor or partner may be eligible to receive an even larger discount.

• Mobile claim submission: As one of the first companies to offer an app with mobile claim submission functions, this organization shows their dedication to customer convenience.

• Best for: Dog lovers, cat lovers and multi-pet households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky