1.78/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Need a pet insurance provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Reviews

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I’ve had almost nothing but good experiences with Healthy Paws and I want to address some of the complaints in the one star reviews. Firstly, I signed up my puppy, Sammy, two weeks after we got him at four months old. My husband and I had been researching insurance companies and Healthy Paws came up time and time again as the best value for money in terms of cost and reimbursement. This was 2.5 years ago.

The day I registered Sammy he began exhibiting signs of Parvovirus, and we had to take him to the emergency vet. He was in intensive care and quarantined for 4 days. It was touch and go for a while as to whether he would survive. He made it through and we ended up paying over $3,000 for the treatment. Healthy Paws did not reimburse me and I didn’t file a claim because I read all the terms and conditions. It clearly states that there is a waiting period, and all other limitations are outlined on the website. Anyone who took their pet to the vet within the first few weeks of the waiting period (a waiting period that is perfectly reasonable as to avoid preexisting issues, which the company clearly states it doesn’t cover) and writes that they were shocked at being denied a claim is either illiterate or lying. It clearly states online what is and isn’t covered and in what time period.

My monthly premium is $31.95. My yearly deductible is $250. And my reimbursement rate is 80%. While I don’t think this is a steal, I think it’s a reasonable price. Compared to other insurance costs and reimbursement levels I think this is one of the best deals out there. I will admit that I haven’t looked into new insurance companies since I signed Sammy up two years ago so it is possible that there is something better out there now, but I haven’t heard about it.

Do I wish that preexisting conditions were covered? Of course I do, but find me a single pet insurer that covers preexisting conditions and I will pay for your pet’s insurance for the rest of their lives. Do I wish that the cost of the vet visit was covered, sure I do. According to the company it’s so that it can keep its premiums low and offer the higher payout rate. I can suck it up when the vet costs $60, but when you see a specialist or emergency vet the office visit cost is often a lot higher (our emergency vet cost around $200 and dermatologist for Sammy cost around $300).

There are other things that aren’t covered, but these are clearly laid out online. I think that many other insurance firms have similar limitations (no preexisting conditions, no preventative trips like vaccines and neutering). Two things that they don’t cover that I wish they did (and I don’t know how this compares with other companies) are prescription food and behavioural issues. I understand that things like training would be difficult to cover, but seeing a dog behaviourist and other treatments for anxiety and fear issues is something I believe should be considered on a case by case basis.

That being said, Healthy Paws has been a lifesaver. Every insurance company has a deductible (for humans and animals alike). I’m not sure why some people felt it was appropriate to give the company 1 star for this when there are literally no other alternatives. No company offers a $0 deductible. I’m our case, Sammy has come down with every illness possible. If your dog swallows something, x-rays will cost you around $500 or more (at my vet in Chicago at least, and they are by no means the most expensive). One incident like that and your deductible is met AND you get 80% of the rest back.

I disagree with people who say that you’d be better off putting aside $30 a month and covering costs out of pocket. That’s $360 a year and wouldn’t even cover Sammy’s x-rays (which we had to pay for more than once in a year). Blood tests are hundreds of dollars. Travel sickness pills are $70 for 4 pills. Medicated shampoo and medicated mousse or powder for skin issues can run around $50 a bottle. If your pet has any type of skin or food allergy it can cost you thousands of dollars doing food trials, blood tests, x-rays, allergy tests and paying for allergy pills. Trust me, we’ve been through it all.

If your pup gets an infection or is vomiting from an upset tummy, a course of medication can cost a couple of hundred. Yes, if you have a super healthy pet that never has any accidents and only goes to the vet once a year for vaccines then you’ll probably pay more in premiums than you’ll get back. But if your dog breaks a bone or has to have any kind of testing or operation or (god forbid) gets cancer, the insurance will pay for itself. Yes, you never know and you might not need it but why take the risk if you truly love your pup? What if they need a $3000 operation you can’t afford?

I can honestly say that without Healthy Paws I’d be bankrupt. I ended up with a sickly pup, but I would recommend this company to everyone. And the reason I was prompted to write such a long review is because last week my card got declined. I made the payment and my account seemed to be active, but yesterday I received a letter saying it would be terminated next month due to non payment. I sent an email to Healthy Paws and got a reply within 12 hours confirming that my account was active. Just to make sure, I called them today and after reading these reviews I was expecting a long wait. Nope, I waited on hold for less than 10 minutes, spoke to a very helpful associate who confirmed all my account details and reassured me that everything was up and running. Perhaps the people waiting for 2 hours are calling on a Sunday morning?

In terms of the claims, the only time I had an issue was with the very first claim. When I sent the claim I was told they couldn’t pay out without Sammy’s full medical records (that’s understandable). I had the vet send them over. When I tried to go back to the claim I had left it too long and it was “closed.” I am under the impression that they do give you a reasonable amount of time to follow up (I was a bit slow and looked into it again two months later).

Instead of giving up and writing a bad review, I resubmitted the claim. They again told me that they needed medical records so this time I emailed the medical records and claim directly to them. I received a check in the mail within a couple of weeks. I then changed my reimbursement method to direct debit. Since then, I’ve used the app to submit all claims and never had an issue. I’ve submitted about 10 claims in one go (from the previous 12 months) and never had an issue. The direct deposits appear within 2 weeks every time. Whenever I’ve had a query I’ve simply emailed and they’ve been very quick to respond.

As someone who has claimed thousands of dollars in medical bills, I have NEVER had an issue with non payment. I feel like I am uniquely qualified to write this review as in his second year Sammy was at the vet every month. Now we’ve figured out his allergies and while I wish that Healthy Paws covered some prescription food, we have to pay $100 in injections every month. Getting $80 of that back every month is a lifesaver.

TOO LONG DIDN’T READ: I would 100% recommend this company. I feel like most of the bad reviews are user error and a lack of understanding on how insurance companies are. I doubt you will find a better value for money insurer. I especially love the ease of submitting claims through the app by taking a picture of the receipt, and getting a reimbursement the next week. If you can find a better insurance company for pets, I will eat my hat.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I am reading all of the negative reviews and have not experienced any of those issues. First of all....people, they are very clear about pre-existing conditions, the 15 day waiting period, the deductible, and what they DO NOT cover! Read your policy! Read all of the info on their website and then if you have questions, call for clarification. I signed up my girl at 8 weeks of age. I have had no problem getting them to pay. At one point, it was a bit slow when they needed to hire more people, but after that period it has been fine. I had Trupanion for one of my last dogs and the "Per incident" deductible sucks. With Healthy Paws, my deductible is $100/year with 90% reimburse rate. I love it! Again, I have had NO issues and would recommend this pet insurance to anyone! Thank you, Healthy Paws!

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: June 15, 2019

In October 2018, my then-4 yo chihuahua terrier completely tore his ACL and because of his breed and knee structure, the surgery was complicated and costly. My family did not have $5,000+ to pay for the surgery, and the vet doesn't do payment plans. Luckily, Lucas (the dog) had been serviced by Healthy Paws for over a year and we felt comfortable with the claim process. Usually these insurances are reimbursement based, but because it was such a large amount, I talked to a HPPI representative and was able to get them to pay their part up front (90%!) and I ended up paying only $500 for my dog's pre-surgery consult, surgery, and post-surgery check! And, because of their unlimited lifetime claims (unlike other providers) I have no worries that I am going to run out of insurance money as he ages (since he's just a pup). Overall wonderful service. I am thinking of also adding my spouse's cat to our insurance policy too.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I can't say enough about Healthy Paws and how it has been a life saver for me and saved me so much money and stress in the end. I have read other reviews about how they have increased their rates every year and I have experienced the same except it was more like every 2-3 years. I have 2 dogs and at times when money was tight, I thought about canceling my policy since I kept my dogs healthy and take them in for their routine check-ups. Here I am 8 years later, and I am so glad I did not cancel.

In December, my 8-year-old German Shepherd started limping. I took him to my vet and they did an x-ray and discovered severe erosion of his femoral head which was suspect of either a bone infection or bone cancer. I had to take him in for an MRI and biopsy which cost over $5,000. After the first result came back with mixed opinions, I had to consult with a Veterinary Oncologist and got the same mixed opinions. In the meantime, while I was waiting for the results, my 9-year-old female German Shepherd suddenly collapsed in January. I had to rush her to the Emergency Vet (close to $3,000) to find out she had end-stage Hemangiosarcoma. I chose not to put her down right away and chose to use alternative treatments for her to make her final weeks more comfortable which they covered the majority of those expenses.

Sadly she is no longer with us but Healthy Paws was so great to notice on her final bills that we had to put her down. I didn't have to call to cancel as that was the last thing on my mind. They went ahead and canceled her policy and credit a portion that was already paid. They even sent me a condolence card hand signed by those at Healthy Paws which brought tears to my eyes. I can go on and on but I will end this note by saying that if I did not have Healthy Paws I would probably have to put both my dogs down early on as I would not be able to afford the $20,000 in veterinary expenses I have incurred in the past 3 months. Plus they have been easy to work with whenever I called and have been so caring and compassionate when it came to the loss of my dog. Rest in peace, my dear Zoe.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

The BEST decision I ever made was to insure my Havanese with Healthy Paws. I shopped for months before Jesse came to me. I don't even think Jesse was even born yet while I was shopping :), because I knew my next companion would have health insurance. Like yourself, I read reviews and I wanted to be sure I found the right Insurance company to insure Jesse's health through his years and it had to be the best. I feel everyone in Healthy Paws are awesome and I appreciate all they do to help me help Jesse!! They have been always there every time no matter. I have been a client since 2011 and OH! How time does fly!! Through the years starting with the help from customer services, they are always there when I needed a shoulder with there sincere comfort.

I have been blessed with Healthy Paws Insurance caring for my dear loving companion Jesse. You will be blessed as Jess and I have been. Open your heart and Insure your babe with Healthy Paws Insurance and see it for yourself. Don't take anyone's negative or positive remarks, you just have to be a part of the Healthy Paws family to see the sincerity from the start for yourself. Just like us, our babies need to have health Insurance and Healthy Paws has the best plans ever that are the most affordable with the great customer services. It starts from the beginning and you will be satisfied at the end. Good Luck with your decision and I hope my review gave you contentment with your choices. Thank you so much for being a part of mine and Jesse's family Healthy Paws!! God Bless you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

They’re ok with small claims but if you file a major claim they will put you through hell. They’re awful people and run a horrendous business. There’s a special place in hell for people like this. If I could give it zero stars I would.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Nothing but great experiences with this insurance company. I was originally with Trupanion and moved to Healthy Paws as it was both cheaper and the policy/coverage was a far better structure. Since moving over we have had a number of visits to the vet and unfortunately an overnight at the emergency pet hospital. Our dog Jura was extremely sick and the team at Healthy Paws really made the claims process so simple. The team reached out following Jura's stay to check in on her and see how she was recovering. It was a really personal touch showing empathy and concern for our beloved family member. I have never experienced any issues in reimbursement of my claims for items within coverage. Wholeheartedly recommend.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance poses as being concerned about your fur buddy, but all they care about is your wallet and refusing to reimburse claims. I followed their directions exactly when submitting my invoice for reimbursement and the entire Vet record for the year. Checking back on their web site they had no claim posted by me.

Three phone calls later they admitted they had received the material and could not explain the stonewalling of my claim. They didn’t mind taking over $360 dollars from me but on a $400+ vet bill claimed they sent me a paltry. $50.50. But the check never came. How many calls must one make? You never really know how insurance will work until you file a claim. I advise you to save your money. Heck I should have put $300 in a sock and used it when the vet bill surfaces. That way there would have been no endless paperwork, no dropped services, no harassment and I’d have end up $250 ahead.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

A year and a half into having this pet insurance, I realized that my $250 deductible was being calculated based on the 80% reimbursement rate affiliated with my plan and not the actual $250+ out of pocket costs. I will essentially be paying about $300 in deductible costs because of this calculation before my coverage benefits kick in. I feel as though this was falsely advertised to me when I was inquiring about the plan initially. Be mindful of this when you are comparing your options.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I have not yet used Healthy Paws for an incident. My issue is that I cannot get a simple question answered... "Should I send in bills as I accrue them for the deductible, or wait until there's a claim and send everything?" I have called numerous times, left my phone # for a call back (not received). I sent an email to HP and the reply stated to look at their FAQ sheet... Duh! My question is that if they are so bad at customer service, what will their claims service be like?

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Since its inception in 2009, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation has been improving the health of domestic animals. They offer insurance policies and fund a foundation dedicated to providing vet care to animal rescue organizations.

• Unlimited lifetime coverage: In the event of an accident or illness, there is no maximum amount that this company will reimburse for veterinary care.

• No annual maximums: With Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation, there is no maximum amount for reimbursements, so there are no limits to the treatments available for a family pet.

• Lifetime discounts: Those who insure a pet for multiple years may be eligible to receive a discounted price on their monthly premiums, making pet health insurance more affordable.

• Employee discounts available: Those who work for a corporate sponsor or partner may be eligible to receive an even larger discount.

• Mobile claim submission: As one of the first companies to offer an app with mobile claim submission functions, this organization shows their dedication to customer convenience.

• Best for: Dog lovers, cat lovers and multi-pet households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky