2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

2.0/5 (163 ratings)

About Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers one type of plan, which keeps the application process simple for customers who need standard coverage. Customers can submit claims online or using the company's mobile app, and it responds to 99 percent of claims within two days.

Pros

• Fast processing
  • No caps on payouts
  • Mobile app
  • Easy-to-understand plan

Cons

• 15-day waiting period
  • Only one plan

Bottom Line

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance makes understanding coverage simple. Healthy Paws only offers one plan, which makes it slightly limiting. However, its mobile app makes the application and claims process simple.

Top Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation?

Verified

My chihuahua terrier completely tore his ACL and the surgery was complicated and costly. ... Luckily, Lucas had been serviced by Healthy Paws and ... I ended up paying only $500 f...

Verified

When our dog unfortunately had back surgery to fix a herniated disc, [the claim] was handled smoothly and quickly. Thanks to Healthy Paws, we were compensated within a fair time f...

How does Healthy Paws Pet Insurance work?

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance helps customers cover the cost of unexpected medical expenses for their pets for a monthly price starting at around $15 for cats and $20 for dogs. Customers can go to the company's website or use its pet insurance app to apply for coverage and submit claims. The company processes 99% of claims within two days. Once approved, your pet's coverage starts after a 15-day waiting period.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance plans

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers one straightforward plan that covers up to 90% of the bill for accidents, illnesses and emergency care. Healthy Paws doesn't put a cap on lifetime, annual or per-incident claim payouts. The plan doesn't cover preexisting conditions, but this is typical of most pet insurance carriers.

For cat and dog plans, Healthy Paws covers* the following:

• Prescription medications
  • Emergency care
  • Specialty care
  • Alternative treatment

*Not applicable for preexisting conditions.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance cost

The Healthy Paws Pet Insurance cost for monthly premiums starts at $15 for cats and $20 for dogs, but the average monthly premium is around $30. Healthy Paws reimburses up to 90% of your bill and provides three deductible options: $100, $250 or $500. The main factors that determine your pet insurance rates are where you live, your plan's deductible, the type of animal you're insuring and its age and breed.

Before your pet receives coverage, it must be examined to determine your overall cost and to screen for preexisting conditions.

Healthy Paws FAQ

Does Healthy Paws cover medications?
Yes, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance covers the cost of prescription medications. It does not cover the cost of medications for behavioral modifications.
How do I make a claim with Healthy Paws Pet Insurance?
Customers can submit their Healthy Paws Pet Insurance claim form via email, fax or mail. They can also upload their paid invoice online or fill out the claim form on their smartphones by using the company's mobile app.
Does Healthy Paws cover allergies?
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance helps cover the cost of allergies if the symptoms were not present during enrollment.
Does Healthy Paws cover blood work?
Yes, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance covers blood tests when prescribed by a veterinarian.

Is Healthy Paws Pet Insurance good?

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance is an excellent option for people who want a simple, no-hassle pet insurance policy. The company has a fast and simple claims process, and its plan leaves little room for confusion when it comes to coverage and how to file a claim. The lack of options may deter some customers, but Healthy Paws' single plan is a fine option for most pet owners.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Reviews

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance has been one of the greatest investments I have made for my 4 dogs. Without the policies, I would not have been able to afford the best care possible for them. From something minor, such as an ear infection, to a major surgery of a total hip replacement, Healthy Paws has allowed my dogs to live happy and healthy. Yes. The premiums increase every year. But that is to be expected, as premiums for human health insurance typically increase every year. Some years, the increase is more than expected, but even with the large increase, I had peace of mind knowing that had any medical scenario occurred, I could have my dog treated without the guilt of financial devastation.

My older German Shepherd (8 years of age) was diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia. Right in the policy documents, it clearly states that the pet must be enrolled in a policy prior to 6 years of age and not be diagnosed within a 1 year waiting period from enrollment date. She was diagnosed 16 months after enrollment and met the age requirement (enrolled at 5 years of age). This past year, she was showing severe lameness and pain in her hips. On her x-rays, the hip dysplasia had caused a fracture in her right hip. The best option was a total hip replacement.

The surgery was performed, I paid out of pocket (put on an empty credit card), and Healthy Paws started processing the quite large invoice (almost 5 figures). Yes. It took 3 weeks to process (would have probably been quicker had it not been over the holidays), but throughout the whole process, the representatives were nothing but reassuring and friendly. Healthy Paws has covered 90% of the surgery (as per my policy selection), in which I am forever grateful for this company. Had I not had insurance, or even had a different company, my dog would most likely be living out the last years of her life (which the vet estimated about 1 year in the condition of this hip) in complete and utter pain. I will never enroll any of my future pets with any other pet insurance company after this experience.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

This is a great company. I have never had a problem. My cat, Monica, got really ill and eventually passed but they were with me all of the ways through. I just got a new cat and am signing up with them again. I really like HP because you save money w/ the monthly premium because they don't cover routine visits/shots. I need insurance for emergencies, not routine visits. Thanks!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

It was a emergency situation. I was watching my roommates rescue dog. She had just took him in like 8 days prior and she also had to leave town on a family emergency so you can see it was a terrible situation. She didnt have insurance yet and he got pretty sick so I called around and found Healthy Paws. At first I couldnt afford all up front fee and the person I talked to wasnt very compassionate or friendly? So I asked for someone else. I wasn't giving up. This dog needed medical attention. I finally was approved at a fee I could work with. It would be tight on the home front but we were fine and our rescue dog Titian was feeling great! Thank You. I am so thankful. Now I have coverage built up for Titians well check ups and other things also? It really puts my mind at ease! I love this big baby Titian.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

We think Healthy Paws offered the best options for coverage vs pricing eight years ago. Once you met deductible they cover 90% of Vet bills (excluding office visits charge). They usually pay within a few days of claim and mail checks within a week. Customer service is top notch. Only downside is the increase of over 50% in monthly premium when we moved from New England to SC.

Original review: May 19, 2021

My pet insurance premium went up 30% when my pup hit 7 and then another 50% when my pup hit 8. So if you buy their pet insurance, you can expect double digit increases when your pet hits senior age. Healthy Paws will tell you premium increases of any amount is within their legal right, that your state approved the increase, that they are just doing it cover their increasing costs. The sleazy part of pet insurance is that the consumer can't just switch companies because future insurance won't cover preexisting conditions, so I am stuck with the double digit increases despite how unfair it is. I regret buying with Healthy Paws - you will get no sympathy when you try to explain the havoc this will wreak on your budget.

Original review: April 30, 2021

My dog got heartworm. They covered medication costs only nothing for treatment costs and even that was a major pain to collect with them demanding complete medical history which they already have each time. Scam.

Original review: April 16, 2021

I had my two dogs covered through Healthy Paws insurance. I rescued both my dogs, so their histories were a bit unclear. Both dogs got full physicals from our vet after we adopted them. I submitted a claim for my 2 year old dog which healthy paws refused to cover medical tests because they claimed they were due to a pre-existing condition. My husband and I understood that and decided when we adopted our puppy this year, we would have him covered through Health Paws as well.

We have been fighting with Healthy Paws to get a claim covered, he ate a stick in our yard and the vet was concerned it caused a blockage. He needed x-rays and medication but recovered well. Healthy Paws refused to cover the incident because we didn't have enough medical records for him. The records we sent from the shelter we adopted him from plus the records and notes from our vet weren't enough. I will never recommend Healthy Paws to anyone, they do what they can to avoid paying out claims for the few things they do actually cover. It is definitely not worth it!

Original review: March 24, 2021

In a little more than 2 years, my cat's insurance premiums increased 43%. In a little more than 5 years, my premiums for my 3 dogs increased 126%, 136%, and 165%, respectively. When your pets are young and first enrolled, they do not fully inform you of how they will increase your premiums as your dogs age and claims add up. The increase of 136% was not due to any claims, just the passage of time. I do not recommend Healthy Paws, to which I now feel locked in because of the ages of my dogs. Very frustrating. It is not the security I thought I would be receiving.

Original review: March 24, 2021

Healthy Paws Insuranse is simply rip off! Stay away. The premiums for my healthy young dog went from $26 to $49. And I never once had a claim. The explanation I got from them?! “We count the whole amount of reimbursed claims and divide them across the board. So your state is high claims state. That why your premiums went up” WHAT!? I canceled the insurance. The money I spent could have been put aside for my dog elderly years. I read other reviews, other clients had the same complaint. I am seeing premiums charged over $100 a month over the years for a healthy pet. Ridiculous!

Original review: March 3, 2021

Here is my premium history since initial sign up:

2016 - $34.99
    2017 - $39.59
    2018 - $46.42
    2019 - $55.46
    2020 - $75.42

2021 - $102.57

Does anyone see a problem here? I do not submit many claims, my pup is in good health. Why are we all being given the state fee and increase of claims excuse (clear from other reviews)? It's an excuse, it's robbery, it's disgusting. Aside from the unacceptable increases in the last 2 years, I have not had a problem with them in regards to coverage, customer service is always great (except when asking for them to lower the premium)... Sadly enough I used to tell everyone to sign up with Healthy Paws.

The unpredictability in the random increases gives you an uneasy feeling that this company is just snaking people. Moreover, they do gradual increases in the beginning making you feel as though they will continue to be affordable for the remaining of your pets life. THEN they just start hitting you hard, leaving you with making the decision to cancel the policy and go somewhere else. The problem with that is that your pets preexisting conditions won't be covered by the new insurance. Devil face with a bunny mask.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Company Information