2.22/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

47 Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 19, 2019

I can't say enough about Healthy Paws and how it has been a life saver for me and saved me so much money and stress in the end. I have read other reviews about how they have increased their rates every year and I have experienced the same except it was more like every 2-3 years. I have 2 dogs and at times when money was tight, I thought about canceling my policy since I kept my dogs healthy and take them in for their routine check-ups. Here I am 8 years later, and I am so glad I did not cancel.

In December, my 8-year-old German Shepherd started limping. I took him to my vet and they did an x-ray and discovered severe erosion of his femoral head which was suspect of either a bone infection or bone cancer. I had to take him in for an MRI and biopsy which cost over $5,000. After the first result came back with mixed opinions, I had to consult with a Veterinary Oncologist and got the same mixed opinions. In the meantime, while I was waiting for the results, my 9-year-old female German Shepherd suddenly collapsed in January. I had to rush her to the Emergency Vet (close to $3,000) to find out she had end-stage Hemangiosarcoma. I chose not to put her down right away and chose to use alternative treatments for her to make her final weeks more comfortable which they covered the majority of those expenses.

Sadly she is no longer with us but Healthy Paws was so great to notice on her final bills that we had to put her down. I didn't have to call to cancel as that was the last thing on my mind. They went ahead and canceled her policy and credit a portion that was already paid. They even sent me a condolence card hand signed by those at Healthy Paws which brought tears to my eyes. I can go on and on but I will end this note by saying that if I did not have Healthy Paws I would probably have to put both my dogs down early on as I would not be able to afford the $20,000 in veterinary expenses I have incurred in the past 3 months. Plus they have been easy to work with whenever I called and have been so caring and compassionate when it came to the loss of my dog. Rest in peace, my dear Zoe.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

The BEST decision I ever made was to insure my Havanese with Healthy Paws. I shopped for months before Jesse came to me. I don't even think Jesse was even born yet while I was shopping :), because I knew my next companion would have health insurance. Like yourself, I read reviews and I wanted to be sure I found the right Insurance company to insure Jesse's health through his years and it had to be the best. I feel everyone in Healthy Paws are awesome and I appreciate all they do to help me help Jesse!! They have been always there every time no matter. I have been a client since 2011 and OH! How time does fly!! Through the years starting with the help from customer services, they are always there when I needed a shoulder with there sincere comfort.

I have been blessed with Healthy Paws Insurance caring for my dear loving companion Jesse. You will be blessed as Jess and I have been. Open your heart and Insure your babe with Healthy Paws Insurance and see it for yourself. Don't take anyone's negative or positive remarks, you just have to be a part of the Healthy Paws family to see the sincerity from the start for yourself. Just like us, our babies need to have health Insurance and Healthy Paws has the best plans ever that are the most affordable with the great customer services. It starts from the beginning and you will be satisfied at the end. Good Luck with your decision and I hope my review gave you contentment with your choices. Thank you so much for being a part of mine and Jesse's family Healthy Paws!! God Bless you.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

My dog has had multiple surgeries and hospitalization for several several severe conditions. Healthy Paws has paid out over $50,000 in claims without question or delay. My initial monthly premium in 2016 was about $30 and has only gone up to $34 per month even after paying all of the claims. The increase is nothing in comparison to what they have paid. My dog, who is only 4 years old would not be alive today if I did not have pet insurance as the total expense would be too much for my budget. Healthy Paws is not only the best pet insurance company but they are the best overall insurance company of any kind as they paid what they said they would and then they did not "jack-up" my premium. I cannot say enough good things about Healthy Paws!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Healthy Paws checked on my dog Gracie, she’s going through cancer treatment. It’s so hard to watch her go through this she doesn’t understand. They say her blood work looks good and hopefully I'll have lots more time with her. I can’t imagine my day without her. She waits by the door every morning to go to work with me. The other dogs run to the kitchen for food, but not her she just patiently sits by the door waiting to go with me. I have no idea why. I'm not usually popular with some people, I've never been a natural beauty, but to her, I'm her world.

It breaks my heart and everything in me to watch her go through this. I know I'll never be the same without her... She has been probably the best part of my life...

I’ve been paying on pet insurance a long time, sometimes I would wonder if I was being stumped. And for years I never needed it, I would think from time to time about canceling it but, I knew if a real emergency came up I would need it. I thought if I was ever in an emergency room with my dog I wouldn’t want to have to euthanize because I didn’t have the money. Then I worried about them finding an excuse after all of these years of paying to not pay or help with a claim when it came down to it.

When I called them about my dog having cancer, I really thought negative... That there’s is no way this company is really going to come through. If they weren’t going to help I for sure can not afford this, but I can’t let my best friend down she deserves a chance. Healthy Paws shocked me and helped give me hope for my precious Gracie. They have paid all of her bills minus the deductible. Thank the good Lord I kept this policy and that they are actually an incredible company. I’m still wondering if it’s too good to be true...

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have used Healthy Paws Pet Insurance for my 5 year old French Bulldog since she was a baby. I chose them after reading as much as I could online and comparing rates, reviews, and coverage. My dog needed a $4,000 leg operation at 6 months old (COVERED). She has always been plagued with gastro-digestive problems and they have never questioned any of the submitted invoices. They always pay 90% of operations, procedures, tests, and medicine. I only pay for office visits and vaccinations. I have paid them about $3900 in last 5 years for premiums. (She is currently $75 per month, which is not high for Frenchies!) They have given me back at least DOUBLE that amount - no questions asked!! I won't be stating they're "THE BEST", because no one should say that when they don't know for certain. But I will say for me, they are EXCELLENT and I hear it from many many doctors and dog owners.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation?

Original review: May 14, 2019

I have been with Healthy Paws for about 4 years now. I pay $90 something a month for 4 of my 6 cats. The only time this insurance proved to be any worth is when one of my cats had a UTI and a blockage which required an emergency vet overnight stay. Other than that with the $100 deductible, we don't cover vet exam, don't cover a plethora of meds, and then 70% copay. I have submitted claims for $300 and gotten maybe $20 back.

They have this God-awful app. I submit a claim. The following day I get a notification that they have no health records. Even though I've had my vet(s) fax and I've emailed several times and received confirmation the records were received. So I call and they confirm they have the records and to disregard that message. Then I get an email saying that they didn't get the invoice I uploaded on the app. I resend that. Then 2 days later the app asks that I sent the invoice for a 3rd time. They lollygag and BS just to give me $15 bucks. It's ridiculous. I'm currently on the phone as I type this to see what the crap is going on that they are asking for the invoice AGAIN. It's a $90 bill that I will get $12 max from. I guess Healthy Paws thinks I pay them with the money tree outside my house, and that I dont have to work that I can just sit at work with my line tied up on their loud hold music.

This insurance comes in handy if you are looking at bill over $600, but for your average checkups, vaccinations, and minor incidents, it's just a black hole you toss your hard earned money in. Within the 4 years, I think I've faced to price hikes. I would leave and go with another company, but on while on their plan one two cats have had a UTI and one has been diagnosed with bronchitis, so if I leave them for another company those will be uncovered 'pre-existing conditions'.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Screw this company. Use a different insurance company! I have 2 dogs and I use Embrace and Healthy Paws to insure my 2 dogs. I got my youngest dog insured through Healthy Paws LITERALLY as soon as I got her as a puppy, so there were no pre-existing conditions. I have been extremely fortunate in that this particular dog is very healthy and needs very little medical attention beyond routine care. So imagine my delight when I had to file my first claim ever when my dog was about 2.5 years old. She was presenting possible neurological issues and I took her in for a neurological exam. We were, again, very fortunate in that it was not neurological, but she was, unfortunately, still sick. I went ahead and filed the claim (the bill was somewhere around $600 I believe, with 90% reimbursement and a $100 deductible). Oh joy, here's what happened:

In less than 24 hours after filing the initial claim online, I received an email from Healthy Paws stating that they were not covering A SINGLE CENT of the claim. WHAT THE **?! I was furious, and clearly, still am. You'll see why. I called immediately and got on the phone with a lady who was a total jerk to me over the phone. Without even looking at the claim, she tells me that they don't cover "wellness" issues. I explain that it was NOT wellness. In whose mind is a neurological exam considered "wellness?" And to boot, we found out during that exam that it was not neurological, but that she was sick and had to be treated right then and there.

I explain to the customer service lady all of that and she was just like, "Hmm. Well, file an appeal." Let me get this straight---YOU SCREWED UP AND NOW YOU NEED ME TO DO MORE WORK TO FURTHER ILLUSTRATE THAT YOU SCREWED UP? Did I get that right? Yes, sadly that's what happened. I file an appeal (what BS), and then waited. Waited. Waited. Waited.

Weeks go by, I kid you not, and the status of the claim is perpetually being "processed," so I call again and this time the person I speak with was at least nice, and they tell me that I can escalate the claim to have it be processed faster. Like...what?! Again, are you ** kidding?! Why do I need to call YOU and ask YOUR COMPANY to do your job in a timely fashion? This is insane. So I ask them to escalate the claim. I waited. I waited. I waited.

I call again and they tell me the same thing: It's being processed as fast as it possibly can. This is where I really lose it with this BS scam company. I ask the person on the phone how it was possible for them to REVIEW and then DENY the claim in under 24 hours, but when I file an appeal, I'm waiting for literal months? GET THIS >>> The agent on the phone literally said to me, "When we get claims, WE DON'T ACTUALLY READ THE CHART NOTES OR EVEN REQUEST THE CHART. We just look at the line items on the bill and base it off that." Could you get any lazier?!

They don't even READ what the EXAM was for. They just GUESS AND WING IT. Yes, you read that correctly. They are trained to literally just skim through all of our claims and make nonsensical, whimsical decisions, nearly always leaning toward "Deny." I'm furious at this point--again, still am--and I ask yet again to have Healthy Paws escalate the claim because this is ** ridiculous. I've been waiting MONTHS for THEM to fix THEIR screw up. How is this company still legally allowed to operate?? So I wait some more. And I wait. And I wait.

A few more weeks go by and we literally went through all of fall and it's nearly the beginning of winter. I call again. The person I speak with this time is a bit more helpful in explaining things. She tells me that within Healthy Paws are multiple different departments, and the claims department doesn't speak with the appeals department (or something along those lines), and that one department somehow has the necessary paperwork, but it's likely buried under a stack of other appeals and that they'll get to it eventually. She then tells me that I can escalate the claim, and I explain to her that I have already done that.

She pauses a moment and then says, "Oh, wow, yes you're right. You've escalated it twice already... Hmm, that's odd... It shouldn't take this long, NOT IF YOU ESCALATED IT." <<< I put that in all caps because apparently it's fine for an appeal to take that long if you don't call and escalate it? Like...what?! This company is god-awful. The same lady then asks me, "Well, do we have your chart?" As in my dog's medical chart from the vet, and I confirm that my vet has sent them my dog's chart to them MULTIPLE TIMES. Then she asks me HOW it's being sent to Healthy Paws, and I tell her that the vet has been faxing it to the fax number listed on the blank claim forms from Healthy Paws, per Healthy Paws' instructions.

GET THIS, the lady tells me NOT TO FAX THE CHART (that's literally what it says to do), because the majority of the time, THEY DON'T GET THE FAXES and nor do they ever use a single ounce of initiative to reach out to the vet to ask for it in order to do their damn jobs. She tells me instead to have the vet EMAIL it, you know, the opposite of what the form instructs. So obvious.

I call my vet (for the 5th or 6th time at this point), and ask them to please email the chart instead. They email it to HPI immediately. The vet is pretty annoyed with Healthy Paws at this point too. They do NOT recommend HPI as pet insurance to anyone anymore. Not just because of my problem with HPI, but because ALL of their clients go through this same nightmare with this company, and the poor vet continually gets stuck in the middle, repeating the same exercises over and over again for every pet with a claim. What a nightmare.

After the chart gets emailed to HPI, I go back to ol' waiting game. Another week or two went by and FINALLY I get the results of the appeal. Guess what? They approved the appeal--but, out of the nearly $600 bill, with a 90% reimbursement, want to know what they sent back to me? A measly $100. I am so furious with this BS. Again, I can't remember the exact total for that bill, but it was close to around $600, and with a %90 reimbursement, well, that should be a LOT higher than $100.

I call AGAIN and speak to ANOTHER person, and this person explains to me that HPI DOESN'T COVER ANYTHING. LIKE ANYTHING AT ALL. It's either not covered by "their policies" or they just deny it outright. What fun. Great company. It's now spring and I just had to file my second claim for--get this--$18 for her meds because she was sick. THEY DENIED IT. An $18 claim, which is COVERED according to THEIR POLICY, but now they're trying some more BS stating that her meds are BEHAVIOURAL (WHAT THE ACTUAL **?!) and sadly, HPI (aka the devil) does not cover "behavioural issues."

I'm officially leaving them the negative reviews they deserve all over the internet and filing an official complain with the BBB. SCREW THIS SCAM COMPANY. They are an honest-to-god total scam and a huge waste of your money, time, and peace. They do NOT help your pet in any way. They take your money and do not reimburse you for things that are stated under the policy as items that do qualify for reimbursement. They do not help you financially with your vet bills, in any way. It's the exact opposite. They are rude, disrespectful, lazy, they cut corners, and they drag their feet on doing literally any task that is a part of their job. They do not follow their own stated policies. They do not care about doing anything correctly. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I've never had to leave a review like this before. Healthy Paws is a complete scam and I've had to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau because their customer service literally refuses to respond to me (I'm not even joking, it's the most insane thing I've ever experienced). So, after paying over $1,000 dollars in premiums they have repeatedly refused to cover any of my pet's medical conditions. When I first rescued my dog, he had Giardia, poor thing. Once we cured that, he started having some other - shall we say - tummy troubles. Healthy Paws refused to cover any vet bills because of his "pre-existing condition" (aka, the Giardia). But surprise! This time around, he didn't have Giardia. He had an allergy, which we didn't know about because until then, he had been on a special medical diet. So, two unrelated conditions. But Healthy Paws didn't care.

So then, last month, I take my cat in for a routine check up. After the blood test, the vet orders an additional test to see if he has hyperthyroidism. He does, my poor old man. So here's the thing, a while back, we'd done the same test (my cat is old and so naturally he's showing signs of aging). But the test for hyperthyroidism came back NEGATIVE. Can you see where this is going? Yep! Healthy Paws calls it a pre-existing condition. So, not only will they not cover any future treatment for his condition, they won't even cover the initial routine visit, because as a result of a routine check up a "pre-existing condition" was found! But it gets better. I e-mail Healthy Paws customer service and after they confirm they won't pay for anything, I ask them to cancel my policy - because honestly, what's the point if they're just going to call everything a pre-existing condition. So...the just don't respond. Until I've been charged for another month.

I tried to contact them for 10 days. 10 days via all channels available to me. I even found the director of marketing on LinkedIn and tried to message her. Lol - I know, but desperate times... I finally just filed a report with the Better Business Bureau to try and get someone else to make them cancel my policy and give me a refund. So, here's the moral of the story, Healthy Paws is a scam and their customer service is a nightmare. Shelly ** - watch out for her. I googled Healthy Paws Shelly ** and hoo boy, seems I'm not the only one who has been pitted up against her. Hug your pets and keep them away from Healthy Paws.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Healthy Paws claims policy premiums do not increase annually based on age so I insured my puppy. At 8 weeks old her premium was $.47.19 per month. At age 4 years (on her birthday month) her premium increased from $66.63 to $91.65 Per month. Because Healthy Paws Assured me that the price increase was not based on age I decided to get a price quote for a eight week old puppy and guess what, the price was $33.26 per month.

I understand the concept of premiums based on age when a policy initiates. I do not understand why a new policy would have a lower premium than I currently pay unless the premium is in fact based on age. This practice of reduced insurance prices for puppies and kittens during their first years gives insurance providers an unfair advantage due to fact that changing insurance providers requires Initiating a new policy for your, now, adult pet. Because we are talking about Healthy Paws insurance I will tell you what Healthy Paws offers for my four-year-old dog. Healthy Paws would reduce my my dog’s reimbursement coverage by 10% and my annual deductible by 250%. Take a look at other providers, you will be glad you did.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I have made one claim with Healthy Pet and they have under reimbursed me by about $100 due to innumeracy on their part. When I called to point out their error, the response wasn't, let's see what we can do to rectify this error, instead it was, "Tough luck buddy." I may or may not be able to get the $100 due if I pay back part of the bill unrelated to the claim, have the vet resubmit an amended bill, and then have the vet reimburse me separately for my new payback. This is a classic case of an insurance company using the wear them down strategy of nonpayment.

Original review: April 4, 2019

Hi Everyone! If you are a new pet owner thinking about getting insurance, DO NOT GET HEALTHY PAWS. I will tell you why. If you're a consumer like me who reads the FAQ section, then you will realize how much of a false advertisement Healthy Paws really is during an emergency situation and their 15 waiting period contradictions.

I've decided to sign up on Feb 22 or 23 for my puppy. I understand there is a waiting period HOWEVER, under their WHAT IS COVERED? in the FAQ section if you read very carefully they stated: "Our plan covers the unexpected things that come up with pet health care, whether that is an accident or illness. So if your pet gets sick or injured, that is what Healthy Paws pet insurance is here for! Our plan has no caps on payouts: no per incident caps, no annual caps and no lifetime caps. If it's a new accident or illness that first show signs or symptoms after enrollment, including any applicable waiting periods, it's eligible for coverage. For any covered condition, our policy covers medically necessary veterinary treatments, including but not limited to: Diagnostic testing such as x-rays and blood tests, Hospitalization, including any treatments while in the hospital, surgeries, prescription medications."

My puppy ended up getting PARVOVIRUS on March 2. He was hospitalized for almost a week. I've filed the claim. Guess what? Healthy Paws decided to reject the claim because they considered a parvovirus to be a "pre-existing condition" and he was in the 15 day waiting period. Do you see how contradicting what they stated what will be covered? My pup had blood tests done, and was hospitalized. He did have "a new illness that first shows signs or symptoms after enrollment, INCLUDING ANY APPLICABLE WAITING PERIODS" there he should be "eligible for coverage." I don't know how many consumers got ripped off by Healthy Paws' false advertisement. I just want to warn consumers who actually read their policy and FAQ to not sign up if you think they will cover emergency situations like parvo.

I have filed with BBB. After I'm done filing for Consumer Affairs, I will file a complaint to State Consumer Protection Agency, Federal Trade Commission, and State Attorney General because they are advertising false products. Heck, if they won't cover during new illness after enrollment, then they should have stated "AFTER 15 DAYS WAITING PERIOD" not "INCLUDING ANY APPLICABLE WAITING PERIODS." If you have been scammed by Healthy Paws due to their false advertisement when you have read the FAQ, please take the time to file State Consumer Protection Agency, Federal Trade Commission, and State Attorney General. Please do it because you will save someone who has been scammed by Healthy Paws and will help consumers be more aware before purchasing their false products.

Original review: March 30, 2019

After paying 8+ month plus monthly insurance fee, one day I take my cat to do an exam, before the exam I called healthy paws to make sure they cover the exam. But after the claim, they find many reasons to not cover the fee, I was amazed how insurance can be such shameless. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!

Original review: March 24, 2019

This company seemed like a good company at first. This is why I chose them but then I realized how bad of a decision it was with the rate increases. They start off small like the first year I had no claims so it went from like 50 something for 67 then the following year they charged me more because I moved. Mind you I moved within the same county and only 5 miles away. I didn't move to a different county or a different state. I moved 5 miles and nothing changed about his treatment with his vet and they raised me to 80 something. Now mind it that year my dog needed some treatment so I knew that is why they raised me but they said it's because the higher cost of animal treatment in my new area which is obvious bs.

Now this year my dog got sick and needed medical treatment and I finally really started using his insurance after 2 years of barely using it at all and now it's coming on his 3 year anniversary and now they raised me to 120. They say they don't raise you based on claims but based on the higher amount of animals that need more and more care and that they need to raise everyone's rates so they can keep up the level of care but I don't know any of my friends that got raised this high and if and when you complain to them they will tell you feel free to shop around knowing damn well that your dog now has pre-existing conditions now so no insurance will take your dog with pre-existing conditions.

So in the span of less than 3 years they went from charging around 50 to 120 and what are you supposed to do? You are stuck and they know it. So please shop around and make sure you really read all the fine print before even getting a animal so that way you can have insurance from birth and hopefully you will not get screwed over like I did.

Original review: March 21, 2019

Terrible, would give it negative stars if at all possible. Firstly they don’t tell you about the 15 day waiting period and that if anything arises in that period it will not be covered. We went in that time not knowing about the 15 day waiting period for a cherry eye, of course that claim was denied. Subsequently my poor dog had to have surgery 2 months later for that since it didn’t get better, which they also denied stating that it was present in that waiting period!! What the hell! So if any health issue at all arises during that time it will basically never ever get covered! And getting these people on the phone takes forever! No one answered the phone for a whole 30 min! And then to top it all, none of these facts are stated on their website, they keep telling me it’s on the policy, but not on the website?! How’s that even legally possible? Horrible company would avoid at all costs!

Original review: March 11, 2019

After our first and only attempt to file a claim we could not get through to anyone on the phone. We had noticed a discrepancy in our vet’s notes where her tech had understandably written down the wrong date of the discovery of a lump. We wanted a chance to explain this issue & suggest they call the vet to clarify. After no answer and no way to leave a message, we mailed a letter explaining why the vet's date was wrong and the emergency vet's date was correct. They completely ignored the letter/never asked us more about it. Multiple requests via email to have someone call us also ignored. Beyond that, I was inundated with requests for more information when everything we had had already been sent twice. They would say they received the records and two days later I would get another email stating they do not have the records needed to process the claim.

How is this possible? We had gone to great lengths to send everything as requested with their claim forms, all previous medical history, etc - all neatly bundled together. The entire experience was a stressful nightmare. When you are paying a premium and submit a claim, you expect more than incoherent requests and you expect to be treated like a valued customer. We were not. Ultimately, the only coherent communication we received was a claim denial. I cancelled the policy immediately and have decided to set money aside in a special account each month to cover any large unforeseen animal mishaps.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Healthy Paw's customer service has been amazing each and every time. I love that they ask how my pet is doing before even discussing business and claims. They have actually made me feel like they care. I had a little bit of a problem initially but that's because I wasn't sending the information from the email that I had listed on file, so it wasn't linking it to my claim. Since that was rectified Healthy Paws has been quick at approving claims and just as prompt at paying the claim and directly depositing it into my account. In a world where I thought customer service had been forgotten- Healthy Paws surpassed my expectations and made me a fan!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I have been a customer of Healthy Paws for over 5 years now. I've had two of my pets covered with Healthy Paws within that time. I've never experienced huge increases in premiums with my first pet's insurance. She was covered for nearly 4 years, but that pet has since passed. Currently, I only have one pet covered since Jan 2016 with a premium of $39.72/month. After one year it increased slightly to $43.70/month, which is reasonable. However, the next year it jumped to $54.18/month, and they just raised it again to $67.81/month this year. These are substantial increases, which they justify as increased cost of vet care. They really put pet owners in a bind and forcing them to choose between what they can afford and their pet's life.

Starting over with a new pet insurance company will make our pet ineligible for certain coverage based on new health conditions that have been found since then. Healthy Paws says that rates are not affected by the number or nature of the claims that we submit, but I do not believe them. Unfortunately, we have had to submit many claims for our accident-prone dog, so it's a suspicious coincidence that the premiums keep jumping up. I am not a happy customer of Healthy Paws and hate how they are taking advantage of the situation that many other pet owners will face.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

After 2 years with this company I am dropping them. The first year I had some minor issues and they paid out accordingly after my deductible. The second year I had not claims. The reason I am dropping them is that every year they keep increasing the monthly payments. 20% this year! That is ridiculous. I understand increasing rates and the first year was under 10% from what I remember. Better off saving the monthly payments in a savings account and let it grow on its own! I too got the same run around about in my area increased vet costs. That is baloney.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I have been a customer since 2016. I recently filed a claim. All I am receiving is the runaround. I keep getting same messages of need further documentation. I have sent them all they need. Calling them is a hassle as they make you wait 30 minutes and they tell you that their program had to update to process that they did get documentation. A few days later, I’m getting the same messages of need further documentation. How can a pet insurance be more difficult than a human insurance? FIND A BETTER INSURANCE.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

When you needed it, HP is there. Always paid promptly and according to plan. Even the $5300 for bloat surgery was paid as usual. Hip dysplasia and arthritis are being covered. Some alternative treatments are allowed. Premium increase has been normal. I really have no complaints. I am now taking out in payments more than I am paying in premiums.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Healthy Paws has excellent customer service, honest service, and clear definitions to what is covered in their policy. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for pet insurance. They have been honest and even sent me a check back due to a billing error I did not even catch. The turnaround time for their claim payments has been extremely quick.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I cannot say it loud enough, AVOID THIS COMPANY. They are dishonest and have zero integrity. We got a letter in early January that in 90 days they would nearly double our monthly rate due to the fact that our dog was a large breed, we’ve never made a single claim, never late on payments. Surprise, they raised our rate in the end of January! Without letting us know! When I tried to call them to talk about it, they offered no options to keep me as a customer, and I was put on hold for a total of 35 minutes. I’m sure they just wanted me to hang up. I wanted an explanation as to why they raised our rate before the 90 day period, and I just got an email saying, the “state that you live in makes certain requirements, we have to follow”... Total nonsense. AVOID THIS COMPANY. Thank God we never had to make a claim, I’m sure they would have treated us with the same grace they did here. Awful.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I've had Healthy Paws pet insurance for my dog for 3 years. He was 9 months old when I obtained the insurance. The premiums have increased as follows: Year 1: 15.03%, Year 2: 18.93%, Year 3: 24.28%. At this rate by the time my dog is 10 his monthly premiums would be $313.32! According to their website: "Due to the increasing cost of new technology and advances in veterinary and specialty care, your rates will increase slightly to align with the claim payouts of each state. These manageable annual increases provide you the opportunity to offer your pet the best medical and diagnostic options available today." I DO NOT consider a yearly increase of 24.28% to be slight or manageable.

Resolution response: Feb. 13, 2019

I have since had other experiences with this company which show quality of care and support. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Unless your dog is at the end stages of life or at the beginning and has thousands of dollars worth of vet bills, this insurance is truly terrible! We have 3 dogs and each has his own deductible; we have paid monthly for years, and never meet those deductibles, so, we're paying for this insurance in case of emergency, but, never seeing any payment in return. I know this is because the monthly costs are low compared to pet insurance that costs $100+/month for 1 dog. I would not recommend this insurance to anyone who has a dog/dogs who are in good health or well-behaved.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I am a new pet mom and I enrolled to Healthy Paws insurance for my first cat. Their statement was unclear for me so I make sure I called to clarify before I making any decision. For applying, putting claim, and cancel services, I asked their customer services before I took action. I confirmed if I can try to see if the insurance cover what I need and withdraw services within 30 days. I was told yes once “there is no claim.” I applied. My claim was denied which I understand it was not success claim.

I called within 30 days and confirm if I would get refund, YES, I confirmed because I was not sure if the claim count. Again, I was told yes I would get refund. Thus, I made decision. Cancelled and thinking maybe apply it after I have all prevention exam done since nothing would cover during period of time. However, after I cancelled, I did not receive the refund, so I call and was told there was no fund for me and they pull out written statement which was what I confused about and CALL to clarify. Regardless all the miscommunication about definition for claim, I have asked very specifically about the result but was giving a people pleasing answer but not true. It was not bit amount of money but the whole process make me feel they are foolish customers and earning the payment by writing confusing statement and hiding important information. Not honest business. This is my first complaint review in my life because it really piss off.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

My ragdoll kitten ended up having cryptorchidism. I purchased the policy way before this ever became an issue however, due to the veterinarian putting down that his testicles had not descended (which is perfectly normal at 2 months old), Healthy Paws used that as an excuse to not pay for his surgery. They called it a "pre-existing condition"! When I attempted to fight this, Healthy Paws representatives made it come off as if I was being ridiculous and was only after the $. This type of surgery typically costs $1,000 + dollars and keep in mind under Healthy Paws' "policy", Cryptorchidism is categorized as a hereditary issue - which should be covered according to their ads.

This company will look for any reason not to pay out what they advertise! Everything under the sun could potentially be considered a "pre-existing condition". If your cat has the sniffles one day and ends up with lung cancer - that's not paid for because of the "pre-existing condition" OR if your kitten has ear mites and later down the road develops a tumor - somehow, Healthy Paws will also categorize that as a "pre-existing condition". Absolute BS!!! I'm switching to ASPCA pet insurance!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I have been waiting SIXTEEN days since my paperwork was submitted for reimbursement. I MIGHT get it on 11/20. My dog and I are almost out of food and I only have gas for one trip somewhere. The Vet sent the paperwork, but not the invoice. HP sat on my claim for ONE week until I borrowed a phone and called them. They now offer DD but don't tell you that it takes 3-5 Business Days on their end. I could have gotten a check 3 days sooner. Doesn't seem long but when the food is being rationed and your little dog doesn't understand why she is hungry and hasn't left the house for a park in 9 days, it really hurts me DEEPLY. She is my child!!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I applied for insurance for my (at the time) 3-month-old female Bullmastiff. In October I took her in for a spay and Prophylactic Gastropexy. I didn't think they would cover, but there wasn't anything on their site that said they would or wouldn't. They wouldn't cover it which was fine. I understood that. But they sent me a notice saying I registered my dog as a large mixed breed. When I called them and told them I registered her as a Bullmastiff, they said I did not. I asked them to see the copy of the registration and they refused. I filled out the form on their website and I never received a copy of anything in email or regular mail. I cancelled the insurance because for a full breed dog they wanted double the price I was first quoted.

I told them since this was an error on their part, I wanted a refund for the amount that I paid them. They refused and said it was my mistake. When they answered my reviews before they always say I'm contesting the claim I filed. I AM NOT! I'm only contesting their claim that I was the one that made the error. If I did make the error, they should have sent me the sign-up form that I filled out. I filed a claim through the BBB, but HealthyPaws refused to return my money. The BBB told me I would have to file a lawsuit if I wanted to take it further. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I sent in receipts for my 4 Siamese cats. I called numerous times to see if they were processed. All I was given was the same story. "We only received receipts for two cats". I called again. They said, "We only received a receipt for one cat". Are you that unorganized. How is that possible when they were all neatly, professionally put together and sent to you. Now as of today November 8, 2018 your rep Shelly tells me, "Well if you cancel the policy we can't pay you." Well you have not paid me anyway. Have you.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

We purchased Healthy Paws last year for our 8 week old miniature schnauzer. When we spoke with the agent we were advised that the average annual rate increase was 3%. Guess again! On our dog's one year birthday we received a notice that our rate would increase over 18%. When we called to inquire as to why such a high rate increase we were advised that our specific area (zip code) had a major jump in pet care costs, thus, the need to increase our premiums. The agent also denied that we would have been given a 3% increase quote. (Basically called us liars). Since the calls are recorded we recommended they pull the audio file). We had zero claims for the year and had purchased a $250 annual deductible with 80% coverage and no annual caps. We have canceled the policy and are very disappointed in the fact that Healthy Paws used a "teaser rate" to suck us in.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Since its inception in 2009, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation has been improving the health of domestic animals. They offer insurance policies and fund a foundation dedicated to providing vet care to animal rescue organizations.

• Unlimited lifetime coverage: In the event of an accident or illness, there is no maximum amount that this company will reimburse for veterinary care.

• No annual maximums: With Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation, there is no maximum amount for reimbursements, so there are no limits to the treatments available for a family pet.

• Lifetime discounts: Those who insure a pet for multiple years may be eligible to receive a discounted price on their monthly premiums, making pet health insurance more affordable.

• Employee discounts available: Those who work for a corporate sponsor or partner may be eligible to receive an even larger discount.

• Mobile claim submission: As one of the first companies to offer an app with mobile claim submission functions, this organization shows their dedication to customer convenience.

• Best for: Dog lovers, cat lovers and multi-pet households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky