4.3/5 (715 ratings)

About Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers one type of plan, which keeps the application process simple for customers who need standard coverage. Customers can submit claims online or using the company's mobile app, and it responds to 99 percent of claims within two days.

Pros

• Fast processing
  • No caps on payouts
  • Mobile app
  • Easy-to-understand plan

Cons

• 15-day waiting period
  • Only one plan

Bottom Line

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance makes understanding coverage simple. Healthy Paws only offers one plan, which makes it slightly limiting. However, its mobile app makes the application and claims process simple.

Top Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation?

Verified

My chihuahua terrier completely tore his ACL and the surgery was complicated and costly. ... Luckily, Lucas had been serviced by Healthy Paws and ... I ended up paying only $500 f...

Verified

When our dog unfortunately had back surgery to fix a herniated disc, [the claim] was handled smoothly and quickly. Thanks to Healthy Paws, we were compensated within a fair time f...

How does Healthy Paws Pet Insurance work?

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance helps customers cover the cost of unexpected medical expenses for their pets for a monthly price starting at around $15 for cats and $20 for dogs. Customers can go to the company's website or use its pet insurance app to apply for coverage and submit claims. The company processes 99% of claims within two days. Once approved, your pet's coverage starts after a 15-day waiting period.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance plans

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers one straightforward plan that covers up to 90% of the bill for accidents, illnesses and emergency care. Healthy Paws doesn't put a cap on lifetime, annual or per-incident claim payouts. The plan doesn't cover preexisting conditions, but this is typical of most pet insurance carriers.

For cat and dog plans, Healthy Paws covers* the following:

• Prescription medications
  • Emergency care
  • Specialty care
  • Alternative treatment

*Not applicable for preexisting conditions.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance cost

The Healthy Paws Pet Insurance cost for monthly premiums starts at $15 for cats and $20 for dogs, but the average monthly premium is around $30. Healthy Paws reimburses up to 90% of your bill and provides three deductible options: $100, $250 or $500. The main factors that determine your pet insurance rates are where you live, your plan's deductible, the type of animal you're insuring and its age and breed.

Before your pet receives coverage, it must be examined to determine your overall cost and to screen for preexisting conditions.

Healthy Paws FAQ

Does Healthy Paws cover medications?
Yes, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance covers the cost of prescription medications. It does not cover the cost of medications for behavioral modifications.
How do I make a claim with Healthy Paws Pet Insurance?
Customers can submit their Healthy Paws Pet Insurance claim form via email, fax or mail. They can also upload their paid invoice online or fill out the claim form on their smartphones by using the company's mobile app.
Does Healthy Paws cover allergies?
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance helps cover the cost of allergies if the symptoms were not present during enrollment.
Does Healthy Paws cover blood work?
Yes, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance covers blood tests when prescribed by a veterinarian.

Is Healthy Paws Pet Insurance good?

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance is an excellent option for people who want a simple, no-hassle pet insurance policy. The company has a fast and simple claims process, and its plan leaves little room for confusion when it comes to coverage and how to file a claim. The lack of options may deter some customers, but Healthy Paws' single plan is a fine option for most pet owners.

Original review: April 3, 2022

I cannot say enough good things about Healthy Paws. We have had 3 French Bulldogs and knowing the issues they tend to have we were advised by our vet to get pet insurance. I cannot recall what initially made us choose Healthy Paws, but I am so glad we did! The submission process is simple, the reimbursement is quick and every employee we have ever dealt with has always been a pleasure. We have been through some rough times regarding health issues with our melonheads and Healthy Paws has always made things a bit easier and less stressful, knowing that we didn't have to worry about financial concerns when doing whatever was needed to care for our four legged sons. Our first major issue sold us for life with Healthy paws.

Our first Frenchie, Rommel, was stricken with encephalitis when he was less than a year and a half old. He went from being a happy, healthy puppy to passing away in just two weeks. He was the love of our lives and as you can imagine, we were completely devastated. We were prepared to do whatever it took to save him, but it was not to be. We racked up about $15,000 in bills trying to save his life and at that point had not really needed to use our pet insurance so we were not sure what to expect. I submitted the bills to Healthy Paws and within a week or so we were reimbursed 90%, no hassles, no red tape, no runarounds. It really helped not having to deal with any insurance issues while struggling to accept our sweet boy was gone in the blink of an eye.

I've heard horror stories from other friends with different pet insurance and couldn't imagine dealing with that on top of grieving as we were at the time. But that isn't even the part that really sold us! About a week after he passed, I finally got around to calling Healthy Paws to cancel his policy. I was literally fighting back tears as I advised them he was no longer with us. The person I spoke to was very empathetic and expressed their condolences. Several days later we received a card in the mail from Healthy Paws. It was a condolence card handwritten by several employees expressing their sympathies for our loss. That pretty much tells you all you need to know about this company. It is not just a business, but also one staffed by people who really care, many pet owners as well.

But the great experiences don't stop there. Over the years our other two Frenchies have had issues such as IVDD and breathing issues which have incurred other costly surgeries. Each time the experience has always been the same. Easy claim submissions, quick reimbursements and nothing but positive experiences with any employee we have ever had contact with. If you have a pet, you really should have pet insurance. If you want the best for not just your pet but also yourself, you need Healthy Paws!

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 12, 2022

Even if I lose you somewhere while reading my review, please purchase a Healthy Paws pet insurance for your pet now. This is not like deciding whether to purchase your baby a duck toy or a squeaky ball. For the past 8 years Healthy Paws has saved us money we sometimes didn't have. It has allowed us to focus our energy and time on providing Mossi the best vet-care, rather than worrying about money. You don't want to avoid a visit to the vet because you cannot afford it. There is a lot of information online and in social media, which can be very overwhelming. It can also be very misleading, but the go-to for many people because it accessible, and cheaper. I do not recommend this at all.

Make sure your pet is covered with Healthy Paws, take them to the vet, and every other source of information should always be confirmed by your vet. Before I do lose you (as you may think I am long-winded) think of surgeries and cancer, which are very common. Waiting until a sickness or odd-bump passes or goes away because it is not “big deal,” or avoiding routine examinations because “what if they are too expensive” - should never be the decision-process regarding your pet’s health. Pet insurance removes that financial obstacle. Your pet/baby's life may be short, but you can extend them and make the more comfortable with the proper veterinary care.

As soon as we welcomed Mossi Banana into our lives, we purchased a Healthy Paws policy. It came to use right away! Two of the best decisions in our lives! My precious Yorkie, as is the case with the breed, has struggled with allergies, food sensitivities, osteoarthritis, and an incessantly curious and excitable personality that cannot be cured. Our journey with her tummy issues, food and seasonal allergies that change from year to year and as she ages, two surgeries for ruptured ligaments on her hind legs, a fractured tooth (she is a hard chewer, avoid plastic or antlers), have all been very stressful for Us and Her. However, the stress fades away after the visit to the vet when she starts feeling better. We do not have to worry any more than needed because she is covered. I can’t imagine feeling conflicted about foregoing a veterinary visit or treatment because of the cost. You do not want to, either.

Mossi takes various medications and supportive treatments for her gastrointestinal health and bone & joint health, which are covered by Healthy Paws. The surgeries for her hind knees, as well as her rehabilitation program did not have to be optional because we had Healthy Paws. You can decide not to do them, but without them you would be seriously and negatively affecting the length and quality of your pet’s life. When her recovery sessions needed to be extended, Healthy Paws covered them - no questions asked. I submit my invoices the day of the treatment, and I can have the money in our bank account within the same week, sometimes within couple of days – this is a life saver!

Preventative care and food is already expensive, but often doable if you have Healthy Paws to cover the rest. We have a tight budget, and can cover the preventative and food, but beyond that we would struggle and have to make difficult choices about our pet's health. You do not have to! As she ages, some of her health conditions are becoming more easily aggravated, which require more specialized care. Because we have Healthy Paws, we can afford an Internal Medicine Veterinarian that specializes in small dogs. Yes, there are veterinarians that specialize in many fields, but are usually more expensive. Specialized medicine can extend and even save your pet's life. It is more expensive, but it will not be an issue because you have Healthy Paws to cover your pet. I am amazed that Mossi's veterinary care and HP coverage are much better than my own human health care care and insurance coverage!

If you have a breed that is known for great health, get an insurance with the lowest deductible and/or lowest reimbursement. Later, you can change them! Cancer and accidents can be very indiscriminate no matter the breed. You will regret not getting a policy, you will NOT regret getting one because you will need it. If you have a breed that is prone to health issues, get a HP pet policy immediately – and instead, spend the time and energy working with their vet, and doing your own research to learn about your pet’s predispositions and conditions so that you can provide them with best holistic care possible. Get a HP policy, it will make your and your pet's quality of life MUCH BETTER! You will have more money for toys, treats and trips with your beloved pet(s)!

Original review: March 3, 2022

I will attempt to make a very long winded review as short as possible. I have had dogs my entire life and for most of that time I was aware of pet insurance but I thought it was a bit of a scam, meaning that it really only paid for emergency type problems and that it was not worth the cost. Fast forward to May 2020 and I get a new puppy and the woman I am dating also has a dog and she tells me about Healthy Paws and how great it is. I get the insurance for my new puppy Ruby. Healthy Paws covers pretty much everything but exams, preventative medication (flea, tick, etc.) and vaccinations…. Everything else is covered.

So now the long part of how much Healthy Paws helped us. All of the ordeal I am about to go into was covered by Healthy Paws except for our deductible which was 20% and any exam fees. We calculated the payments from Healthy Paws to be around $35,000 over the course of this single problem. In early 2021 Ruby started to have on and off vomiting, so we took her to the vet who did x rays and found no real problem, they thought it was viral. The vomiting continued on and off a bit more so we took her to another vet for a second opinion. This vet ran bloodwork, did x rays and an ultrasound and still did not find anything.

Fast forward a few weeks and Ruby vomits blood so we take her to a third emergency vet who does an x-ray and an ultrasound and discovers that Ruby had part of a squeaker toy in her large intestine and it has perforated her intestine. It more than likely was in her stomach since she started vomiting but did not show up because it is clear plastic. When it finally made it past her stomach and into her intestines it because stuck because of the size and then perforated her intestine has her body tried to work the squeaker through her GI track. Ruby had emergency surgery that day and a blood transfusion to help with the blood she lost, she spent 2-3 nights at the vet recovering and was doing okay. Because of all the blood Ruby lost she was anemic after the surgery so she required blood test every few days. As we had test, the vet noticed that Ruby's red blood cell (RBC) count was not improving.

After a week or so of additional testing, it was determined that the area on her intestine where it was cut and sutured by the vet had separated and the sutured needed to be restitched, so Ruby goes back in for a second surgery. Ruby recovered okay for the second surgery but still was anemic with no improvement in her RBC count. We took her to three different vets (our regular vet, the emergency vet, and University of Pennsylvania Vet school). None could find a reason why Ruby was still anemic other than the assumption she had a slow bleed from her surgery site that they felt would eventually heal.

At this point we are in July of 2021. Over the next 7-8 months ruby required 3 more blood transfusions, several ultrasounds and 30+ blood test to check her RBC count and other values. Here we are today in March of 2022 and Ruby is almost back to normal. She still is requiring monthly injections of iron and monthly blood test to monitor her improving anemia and RBC count.

Everything I mentioned above was covered by Healthy Paws and reimbursements to us were often made the same day, I do not think we ever waited more than 3 days for a reimbursement of a vet bill. Healthy Paws also never questioned any of the bills and we never were required to get preauthorization for a specialty vet or surgery. The only time Healthy Paws ever had anything to say about the bills we submitted was them checking in to see how Ruby was doing and wishing us well.

Long story kind of short… get pet insurance. Without Healthy Paws we would have had to make very hard decisions about continuing Ruby’s care due to the cost, as the bills were $40,000+. We would have either burned through a lot of savings/gone into debt or had to put Ruby down. Fortunately we avoided both of those situations because I purchased pet insurance when ruby was a puppy. The only suggestion I can give outside of getting pet insurance through Healthy Paws is to get the lowest deductible possible which I think is 90% coverage (10% co pay) and get it on any puppy as soon as you can.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

I have absolutely no relation to HealthyPaws other than being their customer for 5.5 years. I rarely write reviews, but I also rarely face a service that's worth a review that much, so wholeheartedly, and truly for the benefit of pet parents, like me. I was the owner of an AMAZING Labrador Retriever who passed away on Saturday, 1/22/22. These were no less than the worst days for our family. Yet, I felt that I have to share this information in order to help other pet parents.

Straightforward: The single most important decision I have ever made when it comes to my dog, was to join HealthyPaws. Unfortunately, I really needed them, and fortunately, they were ALWAYS there, and ALWAYS helped. A lot.

To summarize our experience:
    - They really covered everything, except exams, exactly as they promised. And there was a lot to cover.
    - They went above and beyond to help us. When we got a high estimate for a treatment, they offered to do a direct pay to the hospital! Even when the hospital manager was hard to get, they were the ones to keep trying. It was unbelievable.
    - They were always super-fast to approve claims and reimburse.
    - They were always super responsive. Someone always answered my calls and helped me.

- They were fair and empathetic (even when I called to stop the policy… They knew what happened, and they even sent us a sympathy card).

I simply don't have enough words to thank them for what they did, and for such a great service. I urge you, pet owners - get your baby a health insurance. This is absolutely NOT optional. In some cases, this may really be a lifer saver. When things get bad, you will be thankful, and you will ask yourself what would you do without it. If and when (hopefully never!) you will face the question of "should I pay for this $9,700 surgery that I'm told will extend the life of my dog", you will seriously wonder what other people, without pet health insurance, are doing?

You don't want to have financials as part of your considerations when you wonder how to treat your furry baby when time comes... (and I truly wish you it will never come! But it came to us... 10 years too early). And once you rightly decide to have that insurance, please know that you can simply call HealthyPaws. I genuinely couldn't ask for a better service. Thank you HealthyPaws team – you’re the best!

Original review: July 9, 2021

“Disbelief” is the only word that comes to mind when reading the poor reviews for Healthy Paws on this website. First, in response to the people complaining about increases in cost: it is common practice for insurance premiums to be adjusted based on the total amount of money the company spends on all claims within a given year. This is not specific to Healthy Paws; they are not out to get you.

Second, after much research, I chose Healthy Paws because I wanted to make sure that I was covered in case in the future, my dog needed some long-term and costly treatment, e.g., for reoccurring cancer. Healthy Paws is one of the few (or maybe only?) pet insurance companies that do not place a lifetime cap on any illness. In fact, there’s no yearly cap either. This means that they will continue paying for your pet’s treatment regardless of how much money they’ve already spent on that particular issue throughout the pet’s lifetime. As inhumane as it may sound, this is NOT true of MOST companies. Many insurance companies will not cover cancer that has reoccurred, or will only pay X amount of dollars towards the treatment of that particular type of cancer. I encourage everyone to look into this before choosing an insurance company.

That said, Healthy Paws DOES NOT cover routine vet care or any vet appointments, and they are up front about it. But really those things were, and still are, the least of my worries. Routine care you can plan for. And vet appointments, even with top specialists, are typically a one time thing (per illness) and a couple hundred dollars max. On the other hand, a single emergency surgery will be several thousand dollars, in addition to the dog-knows-how-much the diagnostic testing costs.

Now, third, my experience with this company has been nothing but WONDERFUL. I never EVER (ever ever) anticipated using my insurance plan as much as we have. I adopted my dog in 2017 at 2 years of age with no preexisting health conditions. In less than 2 years she ended up in the doggy ER twice: first time she broke her toe while running (freak accident), second time for multiple dog bites to the back of the head. Both times all I had to do was tell the front desk staff that we have pet insurance and fill out the form they gave me. Within a day or so I got an e-mail confirming the claim and then within 1-2 weeks I was reimbursed.

But that’s the small stuff. My dog’s body hates her. If she doesn’t do physical therapy consistently, she limps on her right front limb. Nothing I do at home compares to whatever magic they do at the PT place she goes to. Healthy Paws has been paying for her twice weekly PT sessions for over TWO YEARS now. But wait, there’s more.

Despite all this PT, about 1.5 years ago we found out she has a CCL tear (the doggy equivalent of an ACL tear in humans) and needed TPLO surgery. A week or so before her scheduled surgery my dog had a horrifying event in the middle of the night — to us it appeared to be something like a seizure but we later found out it was likely either a small stroke or something called a vestibular event. Long story short, we (well, the neurologist) had a just about 2 weeks to figure out what was going on so that she could be cleared for TPLO/knee surgery. This involved lots of bloodwork, sedation, an EKG, abdominal ultrasound, some brain monitoring thing, fluid to be pulled & tested from her spine, and most costly, a brain MRI (~$3.5k).

By the time I paid for everything up to the brain MRI, my credit card was almost maxed out. And since (thankfully) nothing notable showed up on any of those exams, she was still scheduled for TPLO surgery (~$5k) in less than one week. Upon panicking, a kind staff member at the animal hospital told me about something called a Direct Pay, in which the insurance company pays the hospital directly rather than reimbursing the client at a later time. So I called Healthy Paws to inquire about a Direct Pay for both the MRI and TPLO surgery. I’d called them on a Thursday; my dog’s MRI was scheduled for that following Monday and her TPLO two days after on Wednesday. I had a couple of back & forth calls with Healthy Paws over the weekend and by Monday, her MRI was paid for. They also agreed to pay, and subsequently did pay, for her TPLO that same week.

There’s still more: of course, a year or so after she recovered from TPLO surgery, she started puking all over the place, acting funny, etc. Long story short, over several months more and more costly tests followed, including an endoscopy and cystoscopy. This required general anesthesia and biopsies were taken during each. Every single thing that she had done, I got reimbursed for within a couple weeks max. No questions asked. We can go to any facility and see any doctor we choose and as long as the appropriate medical records are sent to them, Healthy Paws pays the claims.

I am writing this review now because last week, my pup had TPLO surgery on her other knee and again, Healthy Paws did a Direct Pay for us. At this time I knew the drill and it took nothing more than a couple e-mails. They even e-mailed us to check on her a couple days later — which is how I got the idea to write this review. I still simply can’t believe all the bad reviews/ratings on this website. I’m not saying there’s foul play or anything, but my experience with Healthy Paws has just been SO different and I am SO thankful that I signed up with them.

Original review: June 23, 2022

I highly recommend Healthy Paws for your pets. I would never go without it. The rates are reasonable and they pay within days of claim submission. I've used a few times over the years but most recently, my Dixie had to have 4 mast cell tumors removed with 2 surgeries, lots of imaging & tests, 2 night hospital stay each surgery to the tune of $14K. Claims were submitted and I had the money in my account in 2 days of discharge. Healthy Paws even reached out to me to see how my girl was doing. I can honestly say that Dixie is doing well and that is largely in part to Healthy Paws allowing us to get her the best treatment possible.

Original review: June 19, 2022

I am so thankful for Healthy Paws this year. It's been the difference between manageable expenses and a mountain of credit card debt. They've been so easy to work with and and each transaction has been handled quickly and efficiently. I'm so thankful.

Original review: June 14, 2022

My dog Oscar just had his spleen removed. It was a stressful time for us. He is a big part of our family. The people at Healthy Paws were so efficient and professional helping us get our claim processed. At one point they needed more medical information...When I called the Animal Hospital they told me that a rep from Healthy Paws had already called and that the information had been sent to them. What insurance company does that? Great service. Thank you Healthy Paws for helping us keep our Oscar healthy!

Original review: June 10, 2022

I was a client of Healthy Paws Pet Insurance from 2019 till recently. When it came time for me to submit valid claims, I was given an extreme run around about information. I submitted ALL requested documentation for my Toy Pomeranian, was told they didn't have everything and would close out the claim if they didn't receive the requested medical records. I contacted customer service. The 1st representative I spoke with told me that I didn't need to be concerned that was just an automatic email that was sent while my information was under review. Well, my claims were closed. I called back, spoke with another representative for 45 minutes, after going over everything in detail my claims were reopened. Only for them to reject them again for not having the complete set of Medical Records.

Very Poor Customer Service, and scammers. I called a 3rd time and spoke with another representative who convinced that she would be able to submit my claims for at least 50% return if I agreed to make so that my policy was now starting from this new date of 2022, which would make all previous claims list as pre-existing conditions. So the 1st claims was rejected. The 2nd which I should've received reimbursement for, in turn they said my policy was being renewed, my fees were increasing and now the money I should've received was going to applied to my deductible. This was an extreme scam, I never saw a dime of my money. Everyting went right back into their pockets. I strongly advise not signing up with Healthy Paws Insurance.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation response

We do our best to be transparent regarding our need for medical records and an enrollment exam. All claim decisions are based on your pet’s medical records and the signs/symptoms that are noted in those records. Most pet insurance companies including Healthy Paws use a pet's medical records to determine if there are any pre-existing conditions that would keep us from approving a claim. We appreciate your efforts in providing those records and were able to process your claim.

Original review: June 8, 2022

My dog was bitten by a rattlesnake and the bill was over 2k. Submitted the claim on a Sunday and received the check within a week. They even followed up to check in on my dog. Would highly recommend.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Company Information