4.2/5 (768 ratings)

About Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers one type of plan, which keeps the application process simple for customers who need standard coverage. Customers can submit claims online or using the company's mobile app, and it responds to 99 percent of claims within two days.

Pros

• Fast processing
  • No caps on payouts
  • Mobile app
  • Easy-to-understand plan

Cons

• 15-day waiting period
  • Only one plan

Bottom Line

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance makes understanding coverage simple. Healthy Paws only offers one plan, which makes it slightly limiting. However, its mobile app makes the application and claims process simple.

Top Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation?

Verified

My chihuahua terrier completely tore his ACL and the surgery was complicated and costly. ... Luckily, Lucas had been serviced by Healthy Paws and ... I ended up paying only $500 f...

Verified

When our dog unfortunately had back surgery to fix a herniated disc, [the claim] was handled smoothly and quickly. Thanks to Healthy Paws, we were compensated within a fair time f...

How does Healthy Paws Pet Insurance work?

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance helps customers cover the cost of unexpected medical expenses for their pets for a monthly price starting at around $15 for cats and $20 for dogs. Customers can go to the company's website or use its pet insurance app to apply for coverage and submit claims. The company processes 99% of claims within two days. Once approved, your pet's coverage starts after a 15-day waiting period.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance plans

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers one straightforward plan that covers up to 90% of the bill for accidents, illnesses and emergency care. Healthy Paws doesn't put a cap on lifetime, annual or per-incident claim payouts. The plan doesn't cover preexisting conditions, but this is typical of most pet insurance carriers.

For cat and dog plans, Healthy Paws covers* the following:

• Prescription medications
  • Emergency care
  • Specialty care
  • Alternative treatment

*Not applicable for preexisting conditions.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance cost

The Healthy Paws Pet Insurance cost for monthly premiums starts at $15 for cats and $20 for dogs, but the average monthly premium is around $30. Healthy Paws reimburses up to 90% of your bill and provides three deductible options: $100, $250 or $500. The main factors that determine your pet insurance rates are where you live, your plan's deductible, the type of animal you're insuring and its age and breed.

Before your pet receives coverage, it must be examined to determine your overall cost and to screen for preexisting conditions.

Healthy Paws FAQ

Does Healthy Paws cover medications?
Yes, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance covers the cost of prescription medications. It does not cover the cost of medications for behavioral modifications.
How do I make a claim with Healthy Paws Pet Insurance?
Customers can submit their Healthy Paws Pet Insurance claim form via email, fax or mail. They can also upload their paid invoice online or fill out the claim form on their smartphones by using the company's mobile app.
Does Healthy Paws cover allergies?
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance helps cover the cost of allergies if the symptoms were not present during enrollment.
Does Healthy Paws cover blood work?
Yes, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance covers blood tests when prescribed by a veterinarian.

Is Healthy Paws Pet Insurance good?

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance is an excellent option for people who want a simple, no-hassle pet insurance policy. The company has a fast and simple claims process, and its plan leaves little room for confusion when it comes to coverage and how to file a claim. The lack of options may deter some customers, but Healthy Paws' single plan is a fine option for most pet owners.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

Healthy Paws has been nothing short of amazing for our dog Teddy. This was our first pet we had insured and it was mainly only done due to hip dysplasia worries. We enrolled him as soon as we got him in 2015. Teddy is an Akita/German Shepherd mix and past experiences with dogs that big have always had arthritis and hip issues down the road. So we enrolled him in 2015 on the 90% coverage, $100 annual deductible plan. It has been a literal lifesaver for him and our family and likely one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life.

I tried Figo Pet Insurance with 2 of my other dogs and they have been nothing but headaches and drama dealing with 1 of my dogs who sadly passed due to osteosarcoma spreading to his spine. They take weeks and weeks to look at your claims and in his case it was usually almost always denied or with a problem. Sometimes they would cover bloodwork, sometimes they didn't. It was crazy, a nightmare to deal with and I highly recommend everyone avoid Figo at all costs.

HealthyPaws has never had that sort of problem. They have covered little things like UTIs, monthly glucosamine shots and antibiotic meds. But they also have covered MAJOR life-threatening things without any issues for Teddy. Teddy had a mast cell tumor removed from his chest in fall of 2017 after adopting him. Every penny of that bill which was over $3,000 was covered with no issues at all. In fact, only ONE time in roughly 100 claims have I ever had a issue and all it took was a simple phone call for that to be resolved. The turnaround times are very reasonable and fast, never takes more than a week or two tops.

In June 2022, Teddy started having severe neurological signs and a brain tumor was suspected. To make a very long story short, he ended up having to have stereotactic radiation and chemo. This is certainly not cheap, his bill was roughly $15,000. HealthyPaws paid EVERY single penny of it except the usual things they do not cover (exam fees etc). I was reimbursed for 90% of that entire bill. They even emailed me to check and see how he was doing. They just spent over 13k on Teddy and still care enough about him to see how he was doing. HealthyPaws is amazing and I won't even consider another pet insurance company moving forward.

He gets his bloodwork checked almost every week now, monthly chemo meds and other meds. All of this is covered without issue and pet owners know how expensive weekly blood tests can be. HealthyPaws is AMAZING, I cannot stress this enough. I have already recruited a friend to enroll their new puppy with them and I hope this review can help others make the proper choice here also. Teddy is thus far doing as well and roughly 90% of his former self. Our family and Teddy owes this all to the wonderful care he got from the doctors but also HealthyPaws. I will never use another pet insurance provider, HealthyPaws care of Teddy has made me a fan for life.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2022

I cannot say enough good things about Healthy Paws. We have had 3 French Bulldogs and knowing the issues they tend to have we were advised by our vet to get pet insurance. I cannot recall what initially made us choose Healthy Paws, but I am so glad we did! The submission process is simple, the reimbursement is quick and every employee we have ever dealt with has always been a pleasure. We have been through some rough times regarding health issues with our melonheads and Healthy Paws has always made things a bit easier and less stressful, knowing that we didn't have to worry about financial concerns when doing whatever was needed to care for our four legged sons. Our first major issue sold us for life with Healthy paws.

Our first Frenchie, Rommel, was stricken with encephalitis when he was less than a year and a half old. He went from being a happy, healthy puppy to passing away in just two weeks. He was the love of our lives and as you can imagine, we were completely devastated. We were prepared to do whatever it took to save him, but it was not to be. We racked up about $15,000 in bills trying to save his life and at that point had not really needed to use our pet insurance so we were not sure what to expect. I submitted the bills to Healthy Paws and within a week or so we were reimbursed 90%, no hassles, no red tape, no runarounds. It really helped not having to deal with any insurance issues while struggling to accept our sweet boy was gone in the blink of an eye.

I've heard horror stories from other friends with different pet insurance and couldn't imagine dealing with that on top of grieving as we were at the time. But that isn't even the part that really sold us! About a week after he passed, I finally got around to calling Healthy Paws to cancel his policy. I was literally fighting back tears as I advised them he was no longer with us. The person I spoke to was very empathetic and expressed their condolences. Several days later we received a card in the mail from Healthy Paws. It was a condolence card handwritten by several employees expressing their sympathies for our loss. That pretty much tells you all you need to know about this company. It is not just a business, but also one staffed by people who really care, many pet owners as well.

But the great experiences don't stop there. Over the years our other two Frenchies have had issues such as IVDD and breathing issues which have incurred other costly surgeries. Each time the experience has always been the same. Easy claim submissions, quick reimbursements and nothing but positive experiences with any employee we have ever had contact with. If you have a pet, you really should have pet insurance. If you want the best for not just your pet but also yourself, you need Healthy Paws!

Original review: March 12, 2022

Even if I lose you somewhere while reading my review, please purchase a Healthy Paws pet insurance for your pet now. This is not like deciding whether to purchase your baby a duck toy or a squeaky ball. For the past 8 years Healthy Paws has saved us money we sometimes didn't have. It has allowed us to focus our energy and time on providing Mossi the best vet-care, rather than worrying about money. You don't want to avoid a visit to the vet because you cannot afford it. There is a lot of information online and in social media, which can be very overwhelming. It can also be very misleading, but the go-to for many people because it accessible, and cheaper. I do not recommend this at all.

Make sure your pet is covered with Healthy Paws, take them to the vet, and every other source of information should always be confirmed by your vet. Before I do lose you (as you may think I am long-winded) think of surgeries and cancer, which are very common. Waiting until a sickness or odd-bump passes or goes away because it is not “big deal,” or avoiding routine examinations because “what if they are too expensive” - should never be the decision-process regarding your pet’s health. Pet insurance removes that financial obstacle. Your pet/baby's life may be short, but you can extend them and make the more comfortable with the proper veterinary care.

As soon as we welcomed Mossi Banana into our lives, we purchased a Healthy Paws policy. It came to use right away! Two of the best decisions in our lives! My precious Yorkie, as is the case with the breed, has struggled with allergies, food sensitivities, osteoarthritis, and an incessantly curious and excitable personality that cannot be cured. Our journey with her tummy issues, food and seasonal allergies that change from year to year and as she ages, two surgeries for ruptured ligaments on her hind legs, a fractured tooth (she is a hard chewer, avoid plastic or antlers), have all been very stressful for Us and Her. However, the stress fades away after the visit to the vet when she starts feeling better. We do not have to worry any more than needed because she is covered. I can’t imagine feeling conflicted about foregoing a veterinary visit or treatment because of the cost. You do not want to, either.

Mossi takes various medications and supportive treatments for her gastrointestinal health and bone & joint health, which are covered by Healthy Paws. The surgeries for her hind knees, as well as her rehabilitation program did not have to be optional because we had Healthy Paws. You can decide not to do them, but without them you would be seriously and negatively affecting the length and quality of your pet’s life. When her recovery sessions needed to be extended, Healthy Paws covered them - no questions asked. I submit my invoices the day of the treatment, and I can have the money in our bank account within the same week, sometimes within couple of days – this is a life saver!

Preventative care and food is already expensive, but often doable if you have Healthy Paws to cover the rest. We have a tight budget, and can cover the preventative and food, but beyond that we would struggle and have to make difficult choices about our pet's health. You do not have to! As she ages, some of her health conditions are becoming more easily aggravated, which require more specialized care. Because we have Healthy Paws, we can afford an Internal Medicine Veterinarian that specializes in small dogs. Yes, there are veterinarians that specialize in many fields, but are usually more expensive. Specialized medicine can extend and even save your pet's life. It is more expensive, but it will not be an issue because you have Healthy Paws to cover your pet. I am amazed that Mossi's veterinary care and HP coverage are much better than my own human health care care and insurance coverage!

If you have a breed that is known for great health, get an insurance with the lowest deductible and/or lowest reimbursement. Later, you can change them! Cancer and accidents can be very indiscriminate no matter the breed. You will regret not getting a policy, you will NOT regret getting one because you will need it. If you have a breed that is prone to health issues, get a HP pet policy immediately – and instead, spend the time and energy working with their vet, and doing your own research to learn about your pet’s predispositions and conditions so that you can provide them with best holistic care possible. Get a HP policy, it will make your and your pet's quality of life MUCH BETTER! You will have more money for toys, treats and trips with your beloved pet(s)!

Original review: March 3, 2022

I will attempt to make a very long winded review as short as possible. I have had dogs my entire life and for most of that time I was aware of pet insurance but I thought it was a bit of a scam, meaning that it really only paid for emergency type problems and that it was not worth the cost. Fast forward to May 2020 and I get a new puppy and the woman I am dating also has a dog and she tells me about Healthy Paws and how great it is. I get the insurance for my new puppy Ruby. Healthy Paws covers pretty much everything but exams, preventative medication (flea, tick, etc.) and vaccinations…. Everything else is covered.

So now the long part of how much Healthy Paws helped us. All of the ordeal I am about to go into was covered by Healthy Paws except for our deductible which was 20% and any exam fees. We calculated the payments from Healthy Paws to be around $35,000 over the course of this single problem. In early 2021 Ruby started to have on and off vomiting, so we took her to the vet who did x rays and found no real problem, they thought it was viral. The vomiting continued on and off a bit more so we took her to another vet for a second opinion. This vet ran bloodwork, did x rays and an ultrasound and still did not find anything.

Fast forward a few weeks and Ruby vomits blood so we take her to a third emergency vet who does an x-ray and an ultrasound and discovers that Ruby had part of a squeaker toy in her large intestine and it has perforated her intestine. It more than likely was in her stomach since she started vomiting but did not show up because it is clear plastic. When it finally made it past her stomach and into her intestines it because stuck because of the size and then perforated her intestine has her body tried to work the squeaker through her GI track. Ruby had emergency surgery that day and a blood transfusion to help with the blood she lost, she spent 2-3 nights at the vet recovering and was doing okay. Because of all the blood Ruby lost she was anemic after the surgery so she required blood test every few days. As we had test, the vet noticed that Ruby's red blood cell (RBC) count was not improving.

After a week or so of additional testing, it was determined that the area on her intestine where it was cut and sutured by the vet had separated and the sutured needed to be restitched, so Ruby goes back in for a second surgery. Ruby recovered okay for the second surgery but still was anemic with no improvement in her RBC count. We took her to three different vets (our regular vet, the emergency vet, and University of Pennsylvania Vet school). None could find a reason why Ruby was still anemic other than the assumption she had a slow bleed from her surgery site that they felt would eventually heal.

At this point we are in July of 2021. Over the next 7-8 months ruby required 3 more blood transfusions, several ultrasounds and 30+ blood test to check her RBC count and other values. Here we are today in March of 2022 and Ruby is almost back to normal. She still is requiring monthly injections of iron and monthly blood test to monitor her improving anemia and RBC count.

Everything I mentioned above was covered by Healthy Paws and reimbursements to us were often made the same day, I do not think we ever waited more than 3 days for a reimbursement of a vet bill. Healthy Paws also never questioned any of the bills and we never were required to get preauthorization for a specialty vet or surgery. The only time Healthy Paws ever had anything to say about the bills we submitted was them checking in to see how Ruby was doing and wishing us well.

Long story kind of short… get pet insurance. Without Healthy Paws we would have had to make very hard decisions about continuing Ruby’s care due to the cost, as the bills were $40,000+. We would have either burned through a lot of savings/gone into debt or had to put Ruby down. Fortunately we avoided both of those situations because I purchased pet insurance when ruby was a puppy. The only suggestion I can give outside of getting pet insurance through Healthy Paws is to get the lowest deductible possible which I think is 90% coverage (10% co pay) and get it on any puppy as soon as you can.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

I have absolutely no relation to HealthyPaws other than being their customer for 5.5 years. I rarely write reviews, but I also rarely face a service that's worth a review that much, so wholeheartedly, and truly for the benefit of pet parents, like me. I was the owner of an AMAZING Labrador Retriever who passed away on Saturday, 1/22/22. These were no less than the worst days for our family. Yet, I felt that I have to share this information in order to help other pet parents.

Straightforward: The single most important decision I have ever made when it comes to my dog, was to join HealthyPaws. Unfortunately, I really needed them, and fortunately, they were ALWAYS there, and ALWAYS helped. A lot.

To summarize our experience:
    - They really covered everything, except exams, exactly as they promised. And there was a lot to cover.
    - They went above and beyond to help us. When we got a high estimate for a treatment, they offered to do a direct pay to the hospital! Even when the hospital manager was hard to get, they were the ones to keep trying. It was unbelievable.
    - They were always super-fast to approve claims and reimburse.
    - They were always super responsive. Someone always answered my calls and helped me.

- They were fair and empathetic (even when I called to stop the policy… They knew what happened, and they even sent us a sympathy card).

I simply don't have enough words to thank them for what they did, and for such a great service. I urge you, pet owners - get your baby a health insurance. This is absolutely NOT optional. In some cases, this may really be a lifer saver. When things get bad, you will be thankful, and you will ask yourself what would you do without it. If and when (hopefully never!) you will face the question of "should I pay for this $9,700 surgery that I'm told will extend the life of my dog", you will seriously wonder what other people, without pet health insurance, are doing?

You don't want to have financials as part of your considerations when you wonder how to treat your furry baby when time comes... (and I truly wish you it will never come! But it came to us... 10 years too early). And once you rightly decide to have that insurance, please know that you can simply call HealthyPaws. I genuinely couldn't ask for a better service. Thank you HealthyPaws team – you’re the best!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2022

Healthy Paws pet insurance has been a godsend. Our puppy recently had emergency surgery and was in the hospital for several nights. When all was said and done, the bill was over $4000. Healthy Paws paid 80% of her bill and our reimbursement was deposited into our account within 7 business days. I cannot recommend them highly enough. Their customer service is amazing and they have followed up several times to see how our puppy is doing. If you’re considering pet insurance, Healthy Paws is the way to go.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

Of my cats recently decided to ingest a felt string with a thin wire inside. We took him to the Emergency Vet and an ultrasound confirmed that the string was still inside his stomach. Luckily they were able to remove using an endoscopy procedure. The total cost was over $3,000. I paid up front but thank goodness I have Healthy Paws pet insurance. I submitted my claim with all medical history and felt confident that Healthy Paws would take care of it. The claim was resolved with a couple of weeks and I was reimbursed directly into my account. Having Healthy Paws for my 3 cats gives me peace of mind for exactly a situation like this and helps alleviate much of the stress. I would highly recommend to any pet parent. The other thing that really touched was an email I received a few weeks after inquiring how my cat was doing. As a pet parent this small act of kindness really touched me. Thank you Healthy Paws for your fast, efficient, and kind service.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

I just want to say how thankful I am that I have pet insurance with Healthy Paws. My pup had to have a major procedure to remove a cancerous mass from her cheek. She is only two and I was devastated. The fact that I had great coverage with Healthy Paws allowed me to make all the right decisions for my young dog without having to worry about the financial implications. She is healing nicely. I would never have a pet without insuring them with Healthy Paws.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

My German Shepherd Cash has been covered by Healthy Paws for over 6 years now. They have been a great company for years, paying for his monthly allergy medication, etc. Clams have always been paid quickly and fully - based on our coverage. But recently, Cash got very ill with pancreatitis. He was at our vet 2-3 times getting fluids, and tests to determine what was wrong. He had to go to a specialty emergency animal hospital for 3 nights - getting more and more tests, IVs, feeding tube, ultrasounds, etc. We almost lost him and it was so stressful for us. It was very expensive and we had to keep authorizing funds daily.

Luckily we knew Healthy Paws had our backs and we didn't have to worry so much about the money and could concentrate on Cash. He finally improved, but after coming home had to go back to our vet a couple more times. The bills added up over thousands and thousands of dollars. Luckily, within a week after filing our claims, they were paid, as expected. We won't have another pet without Healthy Paws. I highly recommend them for your pet's insurance.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

Healthy Paws doesn't just raise your rates, they triple them.

Here's my latest rate increases:
    Sep. 2019: $61/mo.
    Nov. 2022: $162/mo.

And I received these increases even though I did not even have any claims.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation response

Jimmy - We realize no one likes any form of premium increase. We understand your concern and would be happy to review your account and discuss your premium increase with you in greater detail. Please call us at (855) 898-8991 and we will gladly answer any questions you have regarding the factors that went into your premium increase.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Company Information