Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.75/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers one type of plan, which keeps the application process simple for customers who need standard coverage. Customers can submit claims online or using the company's mobile app, and it responds to 99 percent of claims within two days.

BOTTOM LINE

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance makes understanding coverage simple. Healthy Paws only offers one plan, which makes it slightly limiting. However, its mobile app makes the application and claims process simple.

PROS

• Fast processing
    • No caps on payouts
    • Mobile app
    • Easy-to-understand plan

CONS

• 15-day waiting period
    • Only one plan

Top Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Reviews

My chihuahua terrier completely tore his ACL and the surgery was complicated and costly. ... Luckily, Lucas had been serviced by Healthy Paws and ... I ended up paying only $500 for my dog's pre-surgery consult, surgery and post-surgery check! Overall wonderful service.

When our dog unfortunately had back surgery to fix a herniated disc, [the claim] was handled smoothly and quickly. Thanks to Healthy Paws, we were compensated within a fair time frame. This interaction after 3+ years of premium made me feel great about the decision to go with this provider.

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

How does Healthy Paws Pet Insurance work?

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance helps customers cover the cost of unexpected medical expenses for their pets for a monthly price starting at around $15 for cats and $20 for dogs. Customers can go to the company's website or use its pet insurance app to apply for coverage and submit claims. The company processes 99% of claims within two days. Once approved, your pet's coverage starts after a 15-day waiting period.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance plans

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers one straightforward plan that covers up to 90% of the bill for accidents, illnesses and emergency care. Healthy Paws doesn't put a cap on lifetime, annual or per-incident claim payouts. The plan doesn't cover preexisting conditions, but this is typical of most pet insurance carriers.

For cat and dog plans, Healthy Paws covers* the following:

• Prescription medications
        • Emergency care
        • Specialty care
        • Alternative treatment

*Not applicable for preexisting conditions.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance cost

The Healthy Paws Pet Insurance cost for monthly premiums starts at $15 for cats and $20 for dogs, but the average monthly premium is around $30. Healthy Paws reimburses up to 90% of your bill and provides three deductible options: $100, $250 or $500. The main factors that determine your pet insurance rates are where you live, your plan's deductible, the type of animal you're insuring and its age and breed.

Before your pet receives coverage, it must be examined to determine your overall cost and to screen for preexisting conditions.

Healthy Paws FAQ

Does Healthy Paws cover medications?
        Yes, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance covers the cost of prescription medications. It does not cover the cost of medications for behavioral modifications.
        How do I make a claim with Healthy Paws Pet Insurance?
        Customers can submit their Healthy Paws Pet Insurance claim form via email, fax or mail. They can also upload their paid invoice online or fill out the claim form on their smartphones by using the company's mobile app.
        Does Healthy Paws cover allergies?
        Healthy Paws Pet Insurance helps cover the cost of allergies if the symptoms were not present during enrollment.
        Does Healthy Paws cover blood work?
        Yes, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance covers blood tests when prescribed by a veterinarian.

Is Healthy Paws Pet Insurance good?

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance is an excellent option for people who want a simple, no-hassle pet insurance policy. The company has a fast and simple claims process, and its plan leaves little room for confusion when it comes to coverage and how to file a claim. The lack of options may deter some customers, but Healthy Paws' single plan is a fine option for most pet owners.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Reviews

Original review: March 29, 2020

I have been paying Healthy Paws for my dog since 2014. I have a $500 deductible. I have put in no claims over those 6 years that I can remember. Recently, I put in some claims that added up to $650, so I received $150 back. This company provides good service, BUT, a week after I got that measly amount back, I was informed that my rate will go up almost 40%! HUH? My monthly rate has steadily gone up over the years, from $35 to $52, but now they are asking for $71 + change. I feel really scammed. I will retire soon, and as me and my dog get older, I will need this insurance. But will I be able to afford it? Is it worth it? Maybe a diligent savings account is the better way to go.

Original review: March 27, 2020

I have been a policyholder since 2016 and was initially very happy with the service until March 2020 when my premium increase from $34/month to $51/month without any prior notification or request for me to authorize this charge. When I called Healthy Paws to inquire, the representative on the line simply stated that cost of claims in my state (CA) had gone up and this was the explanation. Additionally, she stated that she could see I had not been notified of the price increase and would ask a manager to contact me in 72 hours.

Well, said manager did call me (while I was at work and unable to take call), did not leave a direct call back number, and sent a wordy email stating that in fact I had been sent an e-mail about the price increase exactly 60 days prior. I still cannot find record of this message in my email or in the Healthy Paws App where all communications about claims/billing happen. I found this interaction not only off-putting but alarming. I may be wrong, but I believe price increases like this without prior notification count as fraudulent billing. I'm sad to say it, but it seems like maybe Healthy Paws is in deep financial trouble if they are behaving like this. Currently shopping around for new plans.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2020

I have just been notified that my rate will increase by 36% compared to last year (113% increase since we started with Healthy Paws). This is an abusive rate hike as, due to pre-existing conditions, I am unlikely to find similar coverage from a different insurer. After my rate hike last year, Healthy Paws stated they would provide documentation showing an increase in more frequent and more expensive claims. I spent months following up on this promise to which Healthy Paws kept apologizing for the delay in providing documentation, but in the end, no documentation was ever provided.

This year there is an even steeper rate increase. They are citing the same reasons as last year, but again not providing any documentation. My experience with filing claims with Healthy Paws has always been a positive one, but the transparency of these rate hikes is extremely disappointing, especially as others in my community aren’t seeing the same rate hikes with their insurance companies. If I’m able to find another insurance company that will cover pre-existing conditions, I will certainly be looking to switch.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I have a 3 year old Labrador retriever. No health problems. I have been a member for 11 months. They just notified me the annual fee will be going up 25%. I called them and asked why. They said all the fees were going up. I WILL BE CANCELING MY AGREEMENT WITH THEM..(WHAT A SCAM..)

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

Their re-imbursements are pathetic and they make you jump through insane hoops to get the tiny percentage of the total cost back. You are better off just opening a savings account for your dog and adding 20-50 bucks every month. This is seriously one of the most backwards rip off companies I have been unfortunate to do business with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I am writing to pat this insurance company on the back. What would I do without you? It was the most horrendous year of my life, and without Healthy Paws, I would really be up a creek. In Nov. 2019, my 6 year old dog, Polly, was diagnosed with IVDD and had extensive tests. Sadly, after working with her for several weeks, she was making no progress and had to be put down. That was SO hard, and HP came in to help with the lion's share of my bills.

Not much later, I got another small dog so that my more senior dachshund/terrier wouldn't be lonely. This sweet little dog and my older girl were in dog crates in the back of my car on the way to a happy day at the dog park. The day was cut short when someone ran a red light and plowed into the right rear quarter panel of my car. The little pup wasn't covered, and though we tried valiantly to save her, she sustained too many injuries to survive. My older girl was in ICU for a week and had her spleen removed... most of which HP paid for. I would not have been able to do all I did for my surviving dog without HP. It took a while to take on another dog... I was in mourning for quite some time after the wreck, but I did get a new girl finally, Abby. I made sure she was covered by HP!

After a month or so, we noticed she was losing weight drastically. After several tests, it turned out she wasn't producing enough Pancreatic enzymes. She's now on medication that she'll need the rest of her life, and once again... Thanks to HP I can take proper care of her. More recently, my older girl was diagnosed with a ruptured salivary gland. You guessed it - more tests and surgery!

So, for the past year and a half, Healthy Paws has been like an invisible friend that helps my pups when the chips are down. They pay quickly and rarely flinch when I turn in my paperwork. They will always be my insurance company of choice! I dinged them one star for the $500 deductible and for not covering office visits. But, gosh... just wanted to thank them from the bottom of my heart for being there for us. It's been the worst year and a half of my life and could have been so much worse!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I’ve had almost nothing but good experiences with Healthy Paws and I want to address some of the complaints in the one star reviews. Firstly, I signed up my puppy, Sammy, two weeks after we got him at four months old. My husband and I had been researching insurance companies and Healthy Paws came up time and time again as the best value for money in terms of cost and reimbursement. This was 2.5 years ago.

The day I registered Sammy he began exhibiting signs of Parvovirus, and we had to take him to the emergency vet. He was in intensive care and quarantined for 4 days. It was touch and go for a while as to whether he would survive. He made it through and we ended up paying over $3,000 for the treatment. Healthy Paws did not reimburse me and I didn’t file a claim because I read all the terms and conditions. It clearly states that there is a waiting period, and all other limitations are outlined on the website. Anyone who took their pet to the vet within the first few weeks of the waiting period (a waiting period that is perfectly reasonable as to avoid preexisting issues, which the company clearly states it doesn’t cover) and writes that they were shocked at being denied a claim is either illiterate or lying. It clearly states online what is and isn’t covered and in what time period.

My monthly premium is $31.95. My yearly deductible is $250. And my reimbursement rate is 80%. While I don’t think this is a steal, I think it’s a reasonable price. Compared to other insurance costs and reimbursement levels I think this is one of the best deals out there. I will admit that I haven’t looked into new insurance companies since I signed Sammy up two years ago so it is possible that there is something better out there now, but I haven’t heard about it.

Do I wish that preexisting conditions were covered? Of course I do, but find me a single pet insurer that covers preexisting conditions and I will pay for your pet’s insurance for the rest of their lives. Do I wish that the cost of the vet visit was covered, sure I do. According to the company it’s so that it can keep its premiums low and offer the higher payout rate. I can suck it up when the vet costs $60, but when you see a specialist or emergency vet the office visit cost is often a lot higher (our emergency vet cost around $200 and dermatologist for Sammy cost around $300).

There are other things that aren’t covered, but these are clearly laid out online. I think that many other insurance firms have similar limitations (no preexisting conditions, no preventative trips like vaccines and neutering). Two things that they don’t cover that I wish they did (and I don’t know how this compares with other companies) are prescription food and behavioural issues. I understand that things like training would be difficult to cover, but seeing a dog behaviourist and other treatments for anxiety and fear issues is something I believe should be considered on a case by case basis.

That being said, Healthy Paws has been a lifesaver. Every insurance company has a deductible (for humans and animals alike). I’m not sure why some people felt it was appropriate to give the company 1 star for this when there are literally no other alternatives. No company offers a $0 deductible. I’m our case, Sammy has come down with every illness possible. If your dog swallows something, x-rays will cost you around $500 or more (at my vet in Chicago at least, and they are by no means the most expensive). One incident like that and your deductible is met AND you get 80% of the rest back.

I disagree with people who say that you’d be better off putting aside $30 a month and covering costs out of pocket. That’s $360 a year and wouldn’t even cover Sammy’s x-rays (which we had to pay for more than once in a year). Blood tests are hundreds of dollars. Travel sickness pills are $70 for 4 pills. Medicated shampoo and medicated mousse or powder for skin issues can run around $50 a bottle. If your pet has any type of skin or food allergy it can cost you thousands of dollars doing food trials, blood tests, x-rays, allergy tests and paying for allergy pills. Trust me, we’ve been through it all.

If your pup gets an infection or is vomiting from an upset tummy, a course of medication can cost a couple of hundred. Yes, if you have a super healthy pet that never has any accidents and only goes to the vet once a year for vaccines then you’ll probably pay more in premiums than you’ll get back. But if your dog breaks a bone or has to have any kind of testing or operation or (god forbid) gets cancer, the insurance will pay for itself. Yes, you never know and you might not need it but why take the risk if you truly love your pup? What if they need a $3000 operation you can’t afford?

I can honestly say that without Healthy Paws I’d be bankrupt. I ended up with a sickly pup, but I would recommend this company to everyone. And the reason I was prompted to write such a long review is because last week my card got declined. I made the payment and my account seemed to be active, but yesterday I received a letter saying it would be terminated next month due to non payment. I sent an email to Healthy Paws and got a reply within 12 hours confirming that my account was active. Just to make sure, I called them today and after reading these reviews I was expecting a long wait. Nope, I waited on hold for less than 10 minutes, spoke to a very helpful associate who confirmed all my account details and reassured me that everything was up and running. Perhaps the people waiting for 2 hours are calling on a Sunday morning?

In terms of the claims, the only time I had an issue was with the very first claim. When I sent the claim I was told they couldn’t pay out without Sammy’s full medical records (that’s understandable). I had the vet send them over. When I tried to go back to the claim I had left it too long and it was “closed.” I am under the impression that they do give you a reasonable amount of time to follow up (I was a bit slow and looked into it again two months later).

Instead of giving up and writing a bad review, I resubmitted the claim. They again told me that they needed medical records so this time I emailed the medical records and claim directly to them. I received a check in the mail within a couple of weeks. I then changed my reimbursement method to direct debit. Since then, I’ve used the app to submit all claims and never had an issue. I’ve submitted about 10 claims in one go (from the previous 12 months) and never had an issue. The direct deposits appear within 2 weeks every time. Whenever I’ve had a query I’ve simply emailed and they’ve been very quick to respond.

As someone who has claimed thousands of dollars in medical bills, I have NEVER had an issue with non payment. I feel like I am uniquely qualified to write this review as in his second year Sammy was at the vet every month. Now we’ve figured out his allergies and while I wish that Healthy Paws covered some prescription food, we have to pay $100 in injections every month. Getting $80 of that back every month is a lifesaver.

TOO LONG DIDN’T READ: I would 100% recommend this company. I feel like most of the bad reviews are user error and a lack of understanding on how insurance companies are. I doubt you will find a better value for money insurer. I especially love the ease of submitting claims through the app by taking a picture of the receipt, and getting a reimbursement the next week. If you can find a better insurance company for pets, I will eat my hat.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Healthy Paws is the best thing I have purchased for my dogs. I have 4 dogs, and yes, it is pretty costly per month. But without it, I would not be able to afford the best veterinary care for my oldest. I have a 7 year old German Shepherd who is already starting to display hip and back problems. Healthy Paws has been nothing but great with reimbursing me for her costly vet bills and extremely costly medications. I have had absolutely no problems with claims, and they don't even make you fill out a claim form. Simply upload your receipt to their phone app and claims are processed within 10 business days. I have had other insurances for my dogs, and while Healthy Paws' premiums increase every year, it is very minimal compared to other insurance brands. I cannot recommend Healthy Paws enough.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I am reading all of the negative reviews and have not experienced any of those issues. First of all....people, they are very clear about pre-existing conditions, the 15 day waiting period, the deductible, and what they DO NOT cover! Read your policy! Read all of the info on their website and then if you have questions, call for clarification. I signed up my girl at 8 weeks of age. I have had no problem getting them to pay. At one point, it was a bit slow when they needed to hire more people, but after that period it has been fine. I had Trupanion for one of my last dogs and the "Per incident" deductible sucks. With Healthy Paws, my deductible is $100/year with 90% reimburse rate. I love it! Again, I have had NO issues and would recommend this pet insurance to anyone! Thank you, Healthy Paws!

Original review: June 15, 2019

In October 2018, my then-4 yo chihuahua terrier completely tore his ACL and because of his breed and knee structure, the surgery was complicated and costly. My family did not have $5,000+ to pay for the surgery, and the vet doesn't do payment plans. Luckily, Lucas (the dog) had been serviced by Healthy Paws for over a year and we felt comfortable with the claim process. Usually these insurances are reimbursement based, but because it was such a large amount, I talked to a HPPI representative and was able to get them to pay their part up front (90%!) and I ended up paying only $500 for my dog's pre-surgery consult, surgery, and post-surgery check! And, because of their unlimited lifetime claims (unlike other providers) I have no worries that I am going to run out of insurance money as he ages (since he's just a pup). Overall wonderful service. I am thinking of also adding my spouse's cat to our insurance policy too.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Company Information