Visit Site

2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

4.1/5 (137 ratings)

About Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers one type of plan, which keeps the application process simple for customers who need standard coverage. Customers can submit claims online or using the company's mobile app, and it responds to 99 percent of claims within two days.

Pros

• Fast processing
  • No caps on payouts
  • Mobile app
  • Easy-to-understand plan

Cons

• 15-day waiting period
  • Only one plan

Bottom Line

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance makes understanding coverage simple. Healthy Paws only offers one plan, which makes it slightly limiting. However, its mobile app makes the application and claims process simple.

Top Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation?

Verified

My chihuahua terrier completely tore his ACL and the surgery was complicated and costly. ... Luckily, Lucas had been serviced by Healthy Paws and ... I ended up paying only $500 f...

Verified

When our dog unfortunately had back surgery to fix a herniated disc, [the claim] was handled smoothly and quickly. Thanks to Healthy Paws, we were compensated within a fair time f...

How does Healthy Paws Pet Insurance work?

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance helps customers cover the cost of unexpected medical expenses for their pets for a monthly price starting at around $15 for cats and $20 for dogs. Customers can go to the company's website or use its pet insurance app to apply for coverage and submit claims. The company processes 99% of claims within two days. Once approved, your pet's coverage starts after a 15-day waiting period.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance plans

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers one straightforward plan that covers up to 90% of the bill for accidents, illnesses and emergency care. Healthy Paws doesn't put a cap on lifetime, annual or per-incident claim payouts. The plan doesn't cover preexisting conditions, but this is typical of most pet insurance carriers.

For cat and dog plans, Healthy Paws covers* the following:

• Prescription medications
  • Emergency care
  • Specialty care
  • Alternative treatment

*Not applicable for preexisting conditions.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance cost

The Healthy Paws Pet Insurance cost for monthly premiums starts at $15 for cats and $20 for dogs, but the average monthly premium is around $30. Healthy Paws reimburses up to 90% of your bill and provides three deductible options: $100, $250 or $500. The main factors that determine your pet insurance rates are where you live, your plan's deductible, the type of animal you're insuring and its age and breed.

Before your pet receives coverage, it must be examined to determine your overall cost and to screen for preexisting conditions.

Healthy Paws FAQ

Does Healthy Paws cover medications?
Yes, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance covers the cost of prescription medications. It does not cover the cost of medications for behavioral modifications.
How do I make a claim with Healthy Paws Pet Insurance?
Customers can submit their Healthy Paws Pet Insurance claim form via email, fax or mail. They can also upload their paid invoice online or fill out the claim form on their smartphones by using the company's mobile app.
Does Healthy Paws cover allergies?
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance helps cover the cost of allergies if the symptoms were not present during enrollment.
Does Healthy Paws cover blood work?
Yes, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance covers blood tests when prescribed by a veterinarian.

Is Healthy Paws Pet Insurance good?

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance is an excellent option for people who want a simple, no-hassle pet insurance policy. The company has a fast and simple claims process, and its plan leaves little room for confusion when it comes to coverage and how to file a claim. The lack of options may deter some customers, but Healthy Paws' single plan is a fine option for most pet owners.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Reviews

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

Getting a pet dog is a big decision - unlike a human baby, a dog will be depending on you for food, water, and care for their whole lives! The biggest obstacle between a relationship between human and dog is most can't speak to animals and thus it's always a guessing game whenever our beloved pets don't feel well.

Selecting an insurance carrier took a lot of research as we all want the perfect balance between a dependable policy and affordable premiums. I've never got pet insurance for one of my animals before so you really need to rely on other people to get a possible policy that you may never use. We decided on a policy to cover the expensive procedures, like surgery, not for wellness exams which everyone needs to pay for anyways if you own a pet. So we decided on Healthy Paws based on the excellent reviews we read about, so we settled on the 80/20 policy - we pay 20%/Insurance pays 80%. We decided to take out policies for both our dogs as soon as they were puppies and 5 years deep in both policies, we never really used it. But boy, this was the best decision we would ever make.

Fast forward to 2021, one of our precious dogs herniated an intervertebral disk in his spine and lost use of his hind legs. Emergency surgery was needed and we knew it wouldn't be cheap. However, we were able to feel rest assured that our policy covered this procedure and within 2 weeks of the procedure, our check for 80% of the procedure was in the mail! Painless and so very efficient, no questions asked, just everything was easy and perfect! Highly recommend Healthy Paws!

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Having good coverage is a blessing! We've carried Healthy Paws for about 4 years now on at least one dog. Now all 4 are covered. Recently, our beloved coonhound Maybellene got very sick. In the process of treating and trying to figure out what was going on, we spent almost $6000 on vet bills. After the claims were paid, which was EXTREMELY fast, we were hugely relieved to have a large portion of that back to return to savings. If you don't have pet insurance, you need it! Healthy Paws also helps shelter pets when someone uses your referral code, so how can you beat that? I will always have insurance on my babies, and they have been wonderful! They even followed up on Maybellene a few weeks later. I truly appreciate that care and concern. Thank you, Healthy Paws!!

I am posting here because I contacted them and asked where I could leave a review. I want all my friends to have this peace of mind when it comes to their fur family. Who has ever been able to say, "Nah, don't do that test. Even though it might tell us what is wrong & how to treat it, we don't think the dog is worth that". NOBODY I know! Get the insurance. You will not regret it!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

I got pet insurance for my new pup almost 4 years ago on a friend's recommendation. I am so very thankful for having found Healthy Paws. My girl had a luxated patella in November and had to have a major orthopedic surgery. She also has arthritis in that knee and her opposite hock. I just found out she has elbow dysplasia in both front legs and had a CT scan last week, so may be looking at more surgery.

Through it all, Healthy Paws has been there answering my questions and enabling me to make these treatment decisions without having to balk over the cost. They have excellent and responsive customer service who really care, The claim submission is so quick and painless via the app (taking a photo of your invoice as you leave the vet and uploading it directly) and the claim processing has been unbelievably quick with direct deposit the following day. I have nothing but good things to say about this company and the people. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart!

Original review: July 9, 2021

“Disbelief” is the only word that comes to mind when reading the poor reviews for Healthy Paws on this website. First, in response to the people complaining about increases in cost: it is common practice for insurance premiums to be adjusted based on the total amount of money the company spends on all claims within a given year. This is not specific to Healthy Paws; they are not out to get you.

Second, after much research, I chose Healthy Paws because I wanted to make sure that I was covered in case in the future, my dog needed some long-term and costly treatment, e.g., for reoccurring cancer. Healthy Paws is one of the few (or maybe only?) pet insurance companies that do not place a lifetime cap on any illness. In fact, there’s no yearly cap either. This means that they will continue paying for your pet’s treatment regardless of how much money they’ve already spent on that particular issue throughout the pet’s lifetime. As inhumane as it may sound, this is NOT true of MOST companies. Many insurance companies will not cover cancer that has reoccurred, or will only pay X amount of dollars towards the treatment of that particular type of cancer. I encourage everyone to look into this before choosing an insurance company.

That said, Healthy Paws DOES NOT cover routine vet care or any vet appointments, and they are up front about it. But really those things were, and still are, the least of my worries. Routine care you can plan for. And vet appointments, even with top specialists, are typically a one time thing (per illness) and a couple hundred dollars max. On the other hand, a single emergency surgery will be several thousand dollars, in addition to the dog-knows-how-much the diagnostic testing costs.

Now, third, my experience with this company has been nothing but WONDERFUL. I never EVER (ever ever) anticipated using my insurance plan as much as we have. I adopted my dog in 2017 at 2 years of age with no preexisting health conditions. In less than 2 years she ended up in the doggy ER twice: first time she broke her toe while running (freak accident), second time for multiple dog bites to the back of the head. Both times all I had to do was tell the front desk staff that we have pet insurance and fill out the form they gave me. Within a day or so I got an e-mail confirming the claim and then within 1-2 weeks I was reimbursed.

But that’s the small stuff. My dog’s body hates her. If she doesn’t do physical therapy consistently, she limps on her right front limb. Nothing I do at home compares to whatever magic they do at the PT place she goes to. Healthy Paws has been paying for her twice weekly PT sessions for over TWO YEARS now. But wait, there’s more.

Despite all this PT, about 1.5 years ago we found out she has a CCL tear (the doggy equivalent of an ACL tear in humans) and needed TPLO surgery. A week or so before her scheduled surgery my dog had a horrifying event in the middle of the night — to us it appeared to be something like a seizure but we later found out it was likely either a small stroke or something called a vestibular event. Long story short, we (well, the neurologist) had a just about 2 weeks to figure out what was going on so that she could be cleared for TPLO/knee surgery. This involved lots of bloodwork, sedation, an EKG, abdominal ultrasound, some brain monitoring thing, fluid to be pulled & tested from her spine, and most costly, a brain MRI (~$3.5k).

By the time I paid for everything up to the brain MRI, my credit card was almost maxed out. And since (thankfully) nothing notable showed up on any of those exams, she was still scheduled for TPLO surgery (~$5k) in less than one week. Upon panicking, a kind staff member at the animal hospital told me about something called a Direct Pay, in which the insurance company pays the hospital directly rather than reimbursing the client at a later time. So I called Healthy Paws to inquire about a Direct Pay for both the MRI and TPLO surgery. I’d called them on a Thursday; my dog’s MRI was scheduled for that following Monday and her TPLO two days after on Wednesday. I had a couple of back & forth calls with Healthy Paws over the weekend and by Monday, her MRI was paid for. They also agreed to pay, and subsequently did pay, for her TPLO that same week.

There’s still more: of course, a year or so after she recovered from TPLO surgery, she started puking all over the place, acting funny, etc. Long story short, over several months more and more costly tests followed, including an endoscopy and cystoscopy. This required general anesthesia and biopsies were taken during each. Every single thing that she had done, I got reimbursed for within a couple weeks max. No questions asked. We can go to any facility and see any doctor we choose and as long as the appropriate medical records are sent to them, Healthy Paws pays the claims.

I am writing this review now because last week, my pup had TPLO surgery on her other knee and again, Healthy Paws did a Direct Pay for us. At this time I knew the drill and it took nothing more than a couple e-mails. They even e-mailed us to check on her a couple days later — which is how I got the idea to write this review. I still simply can’t believe all the bad reviews/ratings on this website. I’m not saying there’s foul play or anything, but my experience with Healthy Paws has just been SO different and I am SO thankful that I signed up with them.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance has been one of the greatest investments I have made for my 4 dogs. Without the policies, I would not have been able to afford the best care possible for them. From something minor, such as an ear infection, to a major surgery of a total hip replacement, Healthy Paws has allowed my dogs to live happy and healthy. Yes. The premiums increase every year. But that is to be expected, as premiums for human health insurance typically increase every year. Some years, the increase is more than expected, but even with the large increase, I had peace of mind knowing that had any medical scenario occurred, I could have my dog treated without the guilt of financial devastation.

My older German Shepherd (8 years of age) was diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia. Right in the policy documents, it clearly states that the pet must be enrolled in a policy prior to 6 years of age and not be diagnosed within a 1 year waiting period from enrollment date. She was diagnosed 16 months after enrollment and met the age requirement (enrolled at 5 years of age). This past year, she was showing severe lameness and pain in her hips. On her x-rays, the hip dysplasia had caused a fracture in her right hip. The best option was a total hip replacement.

The surgery was performed, I paid out of pocket (put on an empty credit card), and Healthy Paws started processing the quite large invoice (almost 5 figures). Yes. It took 3 weeks to process (would have probably been quicker had it not been over the holidays), but throughout the whole process, the representatives were nothing but reassuring and friendly. Healthy Paws has covered 90% of the surgery (as per my policy selection), in which I am forever grateful for this company. Had I not had insurance, or even had a different company, my dog would most likely be living out the last years of her life (which the vet estimated about 1 year in the condition of this hip) in complete and utter pain. I will never enroll any of my future pets with any other pet insurance company after this experience.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I purchased Healthy Paws pet insurance for my dog since 2015 when he was 8 months old. I have only positive experience with them. The process of getting reimbursement is super easy and takes 3-5 days to receive the payment. Healthy Paws is a solid company and very easy and friendly to do business with.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I love Healthy Paws and would recommend them to everyone. I love that they send newsletters with tips for your pet, stories and other helpful information. If you submit a claim they reply very quickly and get you a result right away. I have had nothing but good experiences with them and they really seem to care.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Our dog had to have emergency abdominal surgery, with a few diagnostic trips prior and we didn't have to blink an eye when it came time to consent to the surgical costs. The surgeons office mentioned "if you need time to think about the costs, we understand" and I could quickly reply "We are good to continue with the surgery". Having Healthy Paws made that decision easy. I am very glad that we have pet insurance.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Healthy Paws has been very reliable and consistent in providing medical insurance for our pets. It is very reassuring to know that they provide coverage as stated and pay claims quickly and fairly. They definitely help provide peace of mind that we can get the appropriate care for our pets.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

It's fast and easy to submit a claim. They respond pretty quickly, and as long as the claim is within the covered items (and they're pretty clear about what is and isn't) they're quick to reimburse. They've reimbursed my 90% for two knee surgeries in the last 18 months. Takes so much stress away from making health decisions for my dog.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Company Information