2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.57/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers one type of plan, which keeps the application process simple for customers who need standard coverage. Customers can submit claims online or using the company's mobile app, and it responds to 99 percent of claims within two days.

BOTTOM LINE

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance makes understanding coverage simple. Healthy Paws only offers one plan, which makes it slightly limiting. However, its mobile app makes the application and claims process simple.

PROS

• Fast processing
  • No caps on payouts
  • Mobile app
  • Easy-to-understand plan

CONS

• 15-day waiting period
  • Only one plan

Top Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation?

My chihuahua terrier completely tore his ACL and the surgery was complicated and costly. ... Luckily, Lucas had been serviced by Healthy Paws and ... I ended up paying only $500 for my dog's pre-surgery consult, surgery and post-surgery check! Overall wonderful service.

When our dog unfortunately had back surgery to fix a herniated disc, [the claim] was handled smoothly and quickly. Thanks to Healthy Paws, we were compensated within a fair time frame. This interaction after 3+ years of premium made me feel great about the decision to go with this provider.

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

How does Healthy Paws Pet Insurance work?

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance helps customers cover the cost of unexpected medical expenses for their pets for a monthly price starting at around $15 for cats and $20 for dogs. Customers can go to the company's website or use its pet insurance app to apply for coverage and submit claims. The company processes 99% of claims within two days. Once approved, your pet's coverage starts after a 15-day waiting period.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance plans

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers one straightforward plan that covers up to 90% of the bill for accidents, illnesses and emergency care. Healthy Paws doesn't put a cap on lifetime, annual or per-incident claim payouts. The plan doesn't cover preexisting conditions, but this is typical of most pet insurance carriers.

For cat and dog plans, Healthy Paws covers* the following:

• Prescription medications
    • Emergency care
    • Specialty care
    • Alternative treatment

*Not applicable for preexisting conditions.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance cost

The Healthy Paws Pet Insurance cost for monthly premiums starts at $15 for cats and $20 for dogs, but the average monthly premium is around $30. Healthy Paws reimburses up to 90% of your bill and provides three deductible options: $100, $250 or $500. The main factors that determine your pet insurance rates are where you live, your plan's deductible, the type of animal you're insuring and its age and breed.

Before your pet receives coverage, it must be examined to determine your overall cost and to screen for preexisting conditions.

Healthy Paws FAQ

Does Healthy Paws cover medications?
    Yes, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance covers the cost of prescription medications. It does not cover the cost of medications for behavioral modifications.
    How do I make a claim with Healthy Paws Pet Insurance?
    Customers can submit their Healthy Paws Pet Insurance claim form via email, fax or mail. They can also upload their paid invoice online or fill out the claim form on their smartphones by using the company's mobile app.
    Does Healthy Paws cover allergies?
    Healthy Paws Pet Insurance helps cover the cost of allergies if the symptoms were not present during enrollment.
    Does Healthy Paws cover blood work?
    Yes, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance covers blood tests when prescribed by a veterinarian.

Is Healthy Paws Pet Insurance good?

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance is an excellent option for people who want a simple, no-hassle pet insurance policy. The company has a fast and simple claims process, and its plan leaves little room for confusion when it comes to coverage and how to file a claim. The lack of options may deter some customers, but Healthy Paws' single plan is a fine option for most pet owners.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Reviews

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance has been one of the greatest investments I have made for my 4 dogs. Without the policies, I would not have been able to afford the best care possible for them. From something minor, such as an ear infection, to a major surgery of a total hip replacement, Healthy Paws has allowed my dogs to live happy and healthy. Yes. The premiums increase every year. But that is to be expected, as premiums for human health insurance typically increase every year. Some years, the increase is more than expected, but even with the large increase, I had peace of mind knowing that had any medical scenario occurred, I could have my dog treated without the guilt of financial devastation.

My older German Shepherd (8 years of age) was diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia. Right in the policy documents, it clearly states that the pet must be enrolled in a policy prior to 6 years of age and not be diagnosed within a 1 year waiting period from enrollment date. She was diagnosed 16 months after enrollment and met the age requirement (enrolled at 5 years of age). This past year, she was showing severe lameness and pain in her hips. On her x-rays, the hip dysplasia had caused a fracture in her right hip. The best option was a total hip replacement.

The surgery was performed, I paid out of pocket (put on an empty credit card), and Healthy Paws started processing the quite large invoice (almost 5 figures). Yes. It took 3 weeks to process (would have probably been quicker had it not been over the holidays), but throughout the whole process, the representatives were nothing but reassuring and friendly. Healthy Paws has covered 90% of the surgery (as per my policy selection), in which I am forever grateful for this company. Had I not had insurance, or even had a different company, my dog would most likely be living out the last years of her life (which the vet estimated about 1 year in the condition of this hip) in complete and utter pain. I will never enroll any of my future pets with any other pet insurance company after this experience.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

This is a great company. I have never had a problem. My cat, Monica, got really ill and eventually passed but they were with me all of the ways through. I just got a new cat and am signing up with them again. I really like HP because you save money w/ the monthly premium because they don't cover routine visits/shots. I need insurance for emergencies, not routine visits. Thanks!

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

It was a emergency situation. I was watching my roommates rescue dog. She had just took him in like 8 days prior and she also had to leave town on a family emergency so you can see it was a terrible situation. She didnt have insurance yet and he got pretty sick so I called around and found Healthy Paws. At first I couldnt afford all up front fee and the person I talked to wasnt very compassionate or friendly? So I asked for someone else. I wasn't giving up. This dog needed medical attention. I finally was approved at a fee I could work with. It would be tight on the home front but we were fine and our rescue dog Titian was feeling great! Thank You. I am so thankful. Now I have coverage built up for Titians well check ups and other things also? It really puts my mind at ease! I love this big baby Titian.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

We think Healthy Paws offered the best options for coverage vs pricing eight years ago. Once you met deductible they cover 90% of Vet bills (excluding office visits charge). They usually pay within a few days of claim and mail checks within a week. Customer service is top notch. Only downside is the increase of over 50% in monthly premium when we moved from New England to SC.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I have had very good service from Healthy Paws. My dog was diagnosed with Cardiomyopathy last year and has required expensive testing and ongoing medications. My only complaint with Healthy Paws is that they don’t cover any exam fees, which add up quickly. There are a couple of other pet insurance that do. Still, I highly recommend Healthy Paws.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

My rates went up after I submitted 5 claims (didn’t even have the insurance for a year). After a major surgery on my pet’s leg, at day 10 they suddenly lost my paperwork and I had to start all over again and wait another 2 weeks to see what they’d pay. They take your percentage out of your deductible so in the end, you’re really paying more (20% with $250 deductible adds $50) of a deductible than you think.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

Don't waste your time or money. They denied my claim on my kitten because previously he had a hairball when he was smaller and because I used words like "hacking" and "breathing weird" they said he had pre signup symptoms. Per my vet and medical records my cat was diagnosed and treated for a hairball. He was not diagnosed with or had problems with asthma until 8 months later when he was diagnosed with kitty asthma. He obviously was breathing weird because he was trying to cough it up. Much different than how he is now. They obviously are just going to search for a reason to not help than help. Spread the word and avoid Healthy Paws if you want my advice! Btw, I'm a nurse, the breathing described and discussed with my vet were very different. I was only panicked with the hairball because unfortunately a couple months before my cat suddenly died.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

This is a rip-off company. All these advertising about covering for drugs and medical bill is all a lie. They only cover accidental so getting hit by a car is a very few that qualify and that's it. Stomachache, diarrhea, food poisons, fleas, skin condition, ear infection, you get ZERO. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

My Dog is now five years old. I got HP Ins for him back in January 2017 when I adopted him. We started at $34 per month. Every year the premium is increased by $12 to $13. I am now on track to pay $70 per month. This is an over 100% increase in monthly premiums. My dog is healthy and has not needed to use the insurance. I am now dropping coverage as it will be cheaper to save or invest this money and pay out of pocket. This is a scam they will increase till you drop out. My dog life span is 13 to 15 years. I can only imagine what that premium will be.

Year Premium Annually Deductible Total
      2030 $190.00 $2,280.00 $250.00 $2,530.00
      2031 $202.00 $2,424.00 $250.00 $2,674.00
      Prem. Deduct. Total

Total $21,240.00 $3,750.00 $24,990.00

Life of my dog I will be paying $21,0240 in premiums and up to $3,750 in deductibles. For a total of $24,990.00. Save your money!

Resolution response: Nov. 11, 2020

The company has audited the claim and found an error and will now take care of the bills. Thanks, Healthy Paws for getting this resolved.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

Stay Away! We got Healthy Paw Pet Insurance for our dog a few weeks ago. After two weeks my dog got a laceration on her ears that must have happened during the night and needed stitches. We went to the vet and they had to do surgery the next day. After filing the claim with them, they denied it calling it a preexisting condition. (The injury happened during the night or early morning our waiting time was over.) I understand a waiting period so people don't get insurance for a sick dog after the fact but this not ok. This company is not honest. I get insurance for my dog and get stuck with paying the premium and the $900? Not only that, they also do not count the money I already spent toward a deductible. This company is a scam.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Company Information