1.65/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Need a pet insurance provider?

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation Reviews

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I’ve had almost nothing but good experiences with Healthy Paws and I want to address some of the complaints in the one star reviews. Firstly, I signed up my puppy, Sammy, two weeks after we got him at four months old. My husband and I had been researching insurance companies and Healthy Paws came up time and time again as the best value for money in terms of cost and reimbursement. This was 2.5 years ago.

The day I registered Sammy he began exhibiting signs of Parvovirus, and we had to take him to the emergency vet. He was in intensive care and quarantined for 4 days. It was touch and go for a while as to whether he would survive. He made it through and we ended up paying over $3,000 for the treatment. Healthy Paws did not reimburse me and I didn’t file a claim because I read all the terms and conditions. It clearly states that there is a waiting period, and all other limitations are outlined on the website. Anyone who took their pet to the vet within the first few weeks of the waiting period (a waiting period that is perfectly reasonable as to avoid preexisting issues, which the company clearly states it doesn’t cover) and writes that they were shocked at being denied a claim is either illiterate or lying. It clearly states online what is and isn’t covered and in what time period.

My monthly premium is $31.95. My yearly deductible is $250. And my reimbursement rate is 80%. While I don’t think this is a steal, I think it’s a reasonable price. Compared to other insurance costs and reimbursement levels I think this is one of the best deals out there. I will admit that I haven’t looked into new insurance companies since I signed Sammy up two years ago so it is possible that there is something better out there now, but I haven’t heard about it.

Do I wish that preexisting conditions were covered? Of course I do, but find me a single pet insurer that covers preexisting conditions and I will pay for your pet’s insurance for the rest of their lives. Do I wish that the cost of the vet visit was covered, sure I do. According to the company it’s so that it can keep its premiums low and offer the higher payout rate. I can suck it up when the vet costs $60, but when you see a specialist or emergency vet the office visit cost is often a lot higher (our emergency vet cost around $200 and dermatologist for Sammy cost around $300).

There are other things that aren’t covered, but these are clearly laid out online. I think that many other insurance firms have similar limitations (no preexisting conditions, no preventative trips like vaccines and neutering). Two things that they don’t cover that I wish they did (and I don’t know how this compares with other companies) are prescription food and behavioural issues. I understand that things like training would be difficult to cover, but seeing a dog behaviourist and other treatments for anxiety and fear issues is something I believe should be considered on a case by case basis.

That being said, Healthy Paws has been a lifesaver. Every insurance company has a deductible (for humans and animals alike). I’m not sure why some people felt it was appropriate to give the company 1 star for this when there are literally no other alternatives. No company offers a $0 deductible. I’m our case, Sammy has come down with every illness possible. If your dog swallows something, x-rays will cost you around $500 or more (at my vet in Chicago at least, and they are by no means the most expensive). One incident like that and your deductible is met AND you get 80% of the rest back.

I disagree with people who say that you’d be better off putting aside $30 a month and covering costs out of pocket. That’s $360 a year and wouldn’t even cover Sammy’s x-rays (which we had to pay for more than once in a year). Blood tests are hundreds of dollars. Travel sickness pills are $70 for 4 pills. Medicated shampoo and medicated mousse or powder for skin issues can run around $50 a bottle. If your pet has any type of skin or food allergy it can cost you thousands of dollars doing food trials, blood tests, x-rays, allergy tests and paying for allergy pills. Trust me, we’ve been through it all.

If your pup gets an infection or is vomiting from an upset tummy, a course of medication can cost a couple of hundred. Yes, if you have a super healthy pet that never has any accidents and only goes to the vet once a year for vaccines then you’ll probably pay more in premiums than you’ll get back. But if your dog breaks a bone or has to have any kind of testing or operation or (god forbid) gets cancer, the insurance will pay for itself. Yes, you never know and you might not need it but why take the risk if you truly love your pup? What if they need a $3000 operation you can’t afford?

I can honestly say that without Healthy Paws I’d be bankrupt. I ended up with a sickly pup, but I would recommend this company to everyone. And the reason I was prompted to write such a long review is because last week my card got declined. I made the payment and my account seemed to be active, but yesterday I received a letter saying it would be terminated next month due to non payment. I sent an email to Healthy Paws and got a reply within 12 hours confirming that my account was active. Just to make sure, I called them today and after reading these reviews I was expecting a long wait. Nope, I waited on hold for less than 10 minutes, spoke to a very helpful associate who confirmed all my account details and reassured me that everything was up and running. Perhaps the people waiting for 2 hours are calling on a Sunday morning?

In terms of the claims, the only time I had an issue was with the very first claim. When I sent the claim I was told they couldn’t pay out without Sammy’s full medical records (that’s understandable). I had the vet send them over. When I tried to go back to the claim I had left it too long and it was “closed.” I am under the impression that they do give you a reasonable amount of time to follow up (I was a bit slow and looked into it again two months later).

Instead of giving up and writing a bad review, I resubmitted the claim. They again told me that they needed medical records so this time I emailed the medical records and claim directly to them. I received a check in the mail within a couple of weeks. I then changed my reimbursement method to direct debit. Since then, I’ve used the app to submit all claims and never had an issue. I’ve submitted about 10 claims in one go (from the previous 12 months) and never had an issue. The direct deposits appear within 2 weeks every time. Whenever I’ve had a query I’ve simply emailed and they’ve been very quick to respond.

As someone who has claimed thousands of dollars in medical bills, I have NEVER had an issue with non payment. I feel like I am uniquely qualified to write this review as in his second year Sammy was at the vet every month. Now we’ve figured out his allergies and while I wish that Healthy Paws covered some prescription food, we have to pay $100 in injections every month. Getting $80 of that back every month is a lifesaver.

TOO LONG DIDN’T READ: I would 100% recommend this company. I feel like most of the bad reviews are user error and a lack of understanding on how insurance companies are. I doubt you will find a better value for money insurer. I especially love the ease of submitting claims through the app by taking a picture of the receipt, and getting a reimbursement the next week. If you can find a better insurance company for pets, I will eat my hat.

Original review: June 15, 2019

In October 2018, my then-4 yo chihuahua terrier completely tore his ACL and because of his breed and knee structure, the surgery was complicated and costly. My family did not have $5,000+ to pay for the surgery, and the vet doesn't do payment plans. Luckily, Lucas (the dog) had been serviced by Healthy Paws for over a year and we felt comfortable with the claim process. Usually these insurances are reimbursement based, but because it was such a large amount, I talked to a HPPI representative and was able to get them to pay their part up front (90%!) and I ended up paying only $500 for my dog's pre-surgery consult, surgery, and post-surgery check! And, because of their unlimited lifetime claims (unlike other providers) I have no worries that I am going to run out of insurance money as he ages (since he's just a pup). Overall wonderful service. I am thinking of also adding my spouse's cat to our insurance policy too.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I can't say enough about Healthy Paws and how it has been a life saver for me and saved me so much money and stress in the end. I have read other reviews about how they have increased their rates every year and I have experienced the same except it was more like every 2-3 years. I have 2 dogs and at times when money was tight, I thought about canceling my policy since I kept my dogs healthy and take them in for their routine check-ups. Here I am 8 years later, and I am so glad I did not cancel.

In December, my 8-year-old German Shepherd started limping. I took him to my vet and they did an x-ray and discovered severe erosion of his femoral head which was suspect of either a bone infection or bone cancer. I had to take him in for an MRI and biopsy which cost over $5,000. After the first result came back with mixed opinions, I had to consult with a Veterinary Oncologist and got the same mixed opinions. In the meantime, while I was waiting for the results, my 9-year-old female German Shepherd suddenly collapsed in January. I had to rush her to the Emergency Vet (close to $3,000) to find out she had end-stage Hemangiosarcoma. I chose not to put her down right away and chose to use alternative treatments for her to make her final weeks more comfortable which they covered the majority of those expenses.

Sadly she is no longer with us but Healthy Paws was so great to notice on her final bills that we had to put her down. I didn't have to call to cancel as that was the last thing on my mind. They went ahead and canceled her policy and credit a portion that was already paid. They even sent me a condolence card hand signed by those at Healthy Paws which brought tears to my eyes. I can go on and on but I will end this note by saying that if I did not have Healthy Paws I would probably have to put both my dogs down early on as I would not be able to afford the $20,000 in veterinary expenses I have incurred in the past 3 months. Plus they have been easy to work with whenever I called and have been so caring and compassionate when it came to the loss of my dog. Rest in peace, my dear Zoe.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

The BEST decision I ever made was to insure my Havanese with Healthy Paws. I shopped for months before Jesse came to me. I don't even think Jesse was even born yet while I was shopping :), because I knew my next companion would have health insurance. Like yourself, I read reviews and I wanted to be sure I found the right Insurance company to insure Jesse's health through his years and it had to be the best. I feel everyone in Healthy Paws are awesome and I appreciate all they do to help me help Jesse!! They have been always there every time no matter. I have been a client since 2011 and OH! How time does fly!! Through the years starting with the help from customer services, they are always there when I needed a shoulder with there sincere comfort.

I have been blessed with Healthy Paws Insurance caring for my dear loving companion Jesse. You will be blessed as Jess and I have been. Open your heart and Insure your babe with Healthy Paws Insurance and see it for yourself. Don't take anyone's negative or positive remarks, you just have to be a part of the Healthy Paws family to see the sincerity from the start for yourself. Just like us, our babies need to have health Insurance and Healthy Paws has the best plans ever that are the most affordable with the great customer services. It starts from the beginning and you will be satisfied at the end. Good Luck with your decision and I hope my review gave you contentment with your choices. Thank you so much for being a part of mine and Jesse's family Healthy Paws!! God Bless you.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Healthy Paws checked on my dog Gracie, she’s going through cancer treatment. It’s so hard to watch her go through this she doesn’t understand. They say her blood work looks good and hopefully I'll have lots more time with her. I can’t imagine my day without her. She waits by the door every morning to go to work with me. The other dogs run to the kitchen for food, but not her she just patiently sits by the door waiting to go with me. I have no idea why. I'm not usually popular with some people, I've never been a natural beauty, but to her, I'm her world.

It breaks my heart and everything in me to watch her go through this. I know I'll never be the same without her... She has been probably the best part of my life...

I’ve been paying on pet insurance a long time, sometimes I would wonder if I was being stumped. And for years I never needed it, I would think from time to time about canceling it but, I knew if a real emergency came up I would need it. I thought if I was ever in an emergency room with my dog I wouldn’t want to have to euthanize because I didn’t have the money. Then I worried about them finding an excuse after all of these years of paying to not pay or help with a claim when it came down to it.

When I called them about my dog having cancer, I really thought negative... That there’s is no way this company is really going to come through. If they weren’t going to help I for sure can not afford this, but I can’t let my best friend down she deserves a chance. Healthy Paws shocked me and helped give me hope for my precious Gracie. They have paid all of her bills minus the deductible. Thank the good Lord I kept this policy and that they are actually an incredible company. I’m still wondering if it’s too good to be true...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

This is a place to avoid at all costs. After eight months of paying premiums, I submitted a claim for a vet visit. To make a long story short, it took TWO MONTHS for them to finally come back with a DECLINED... the reason being: "Too much time waiting for approval." Say what!? I replied looking for details. NO RESPONSE. I submitted another email a week later. No response. Finally I wrote and said, "please cancel." Three days later I got a response with a link to cancel my account. I didn't click it yet because I wanted to write one more time. THE NEXT DAY I got another email saying they canceled my account. So I wrote yet again. No response. Several weeks went by and I contacted them through the website home page. It took a WEEK to get a response. This time they blamed me for not submitting an initial vet examination, WHICH WAS NEVER REQUESTED WHEN I OPENED THE ACCOUNT OR FILED THE CLAIM. This place is a rip off.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I purchased pet insurance 12/9/2013 for I think it was around $33 a month, Healthy Paws Website says under Frequently Asked Questions # 6 (Will my premiums increase? Due to the increasing cost of new technology and advances in veterinary and specialty care, your rates will increase SLIGHTLY to align with the claim payouts of each state). I am currently paying $55.03 New Monthly Premium $74.84 starting (12/09/19), How is this a slight increase as advertised on their website? My pet had to have surgery earlier this year now they increase my premium just this year alone 35% in a year!!!! Overall increase of 125% in 6 years!!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I started with Healthy Paws in 2016 insuring a (4) year old, 45 lb mixed lab. I was told annual rates would increase a minor amount and only due to inflation. This was false. My dog's renewal for 2020 (turning age 7) is going from $44.79 per month to $60.91 per month, an increase of $193.44 annually. This is a 36 percent increase. Healthy Paws will increase your rates until it is unaffordable. Their advertising on rates is simply untrue. Much better option is to put $100 monthly in an account for your pet and self insure.

As an aside I've not filed a claim and paid my bills on time. Just a guy who wanted insurance for my dog at reasonable cost. I've emailed Healthy Paws twice through their "contact us" website with no response. Others have indicated they make it difficult simply to terminate your policy. Suggest avoiding this company and seek alternatives.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Be aware, when they tell you the deductible is a certain dollar amount, they mean that it's a Benefit dollar amount, not an actual out of pocket amount. For example, I have an 80% plan with a $500 deductible. I submitted a claim for $23. They processed the claim by calculating 80% of the amount ($18) and applied the $18 to the deductible. Not the $23 that I paid out of pocket. So, a $500 deductible is actually a $625 deductible. I've read over my insurance certificate multiple times and can't find the language of how this is determined anywhere. After 32 years in the insurance industry, I can't recall a single instance where this is how it's done. I'm not saying they aren't entitled to make a contract determination, but the language should be much cleared up front and the contract significantly clearer. Incredibly deceptive.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

They rejected my claim for canine cruciate ligament tears stating that it was a pre-existing condition. The dog injured it acutely and suddenly stopped walking on his hind legs. The vet surgeon specifically stated that it was an acute tear in all of his notes along with his operative report. Healthy paws continually denied the claim.

Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Since its inception in 2009, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation has been improving the health of domestic animals. They offer insurance policies and fund a foundation dedicated to providing vet care to animal rescue organizations.

• Unlimited lifetime coverage: In the event of an accident or illness, there is no maximum amount that this company will reimburse for veterinary care.

• No annual maximums: With Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation, there is no maximum amount for reimbursements, so there are no limits to the treatments available for a family pet.

• Lifetime discounts: Those who insure a pet for multiple years may be eligible to receive a discounted price on their monthly premiums, making pet health insurance more affordable.

• Employee discounts available: Those who work for a corporate sponsor or partner may be eligible to receive an even larger discount.

• Mobile claim submission: As one of the first companies to offer an app with mobile claim submission functions, this organization shows their dedication to customer convenience.

• Best for: Dog lovers, cat lovers and multi-pet households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky