4.2/5 (770 ratings)

About ASPCA Pet Health Insurance

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance helps with costly and unexpected pet illnesses and injuries, which gives you the comfort of knowing you can give your pets the care they need when they need it without the burden of a large vet bill hanging over your head. The process is simple and convenient and your reimbursement can cover up to 90% of your covered bill.

Pros

• Exam fees included
  • No age restrictions
  • No networks

Cons

• Preventative care costs extra

Bottom Line

ASPCA Pet Insurance provides injury and illness coverage for animals. While preventative care coverage cost extra, the insurance offers comprehensive coverage options and a simple, quick claim process.

Top ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My horse sustained what would have been a life-ending injury had I not had ASPCA Pet Health Insurance. Instead, he has not only survived but he is anticipated to return to FULL AT...

Verified

Claims are responded to very quickly. No problems, no headaches. Claims are easy to submit and monitor online, making the process simple. Very happy with ASPCA Pet Insurance and w...

ASPCA Pet Insurance plans

ASPCA Pet Insurance offers two main plans: Complete Coverage and Accident-Only Coverage. For all plans offered by ASPCA, you can visit any vet, specialist or emergency clinic — no need to worry about networks. Simply get your pet the help they need when they need it then submit your claim at a later date.

• Complete Coverage: ASPCA’s core insurance offering is the Complete Coverage plan, which covers accident, illness, hereditary and behavioral issues. Cost varies based on your plan elections.
  • Accident-Only Coverage: For around $20 a month with a $5,000 limit, accident-only coverage is available to cover the fees associated with diagnosis and treatment of accidents like broken bones, cuts, wounds and toxic ingestion.
  • Preventative add-on: While preventative care is not covered under a regular plan, you can add-on preventative care for between $10 - $25 extra a month.

What does ASPCA Pet Insurance cover?

Coverage includes exam fees, diagnostics and treatments under the categories below. ASPCA advertises covering most advanced treatments, including conventional treatments like chemotherapy and surgeries, as well as less common treatments like stem-cell therapy and acupuncture.

• Accident: Accident coverage deals with costs associated with injuries like broken bones, torn ligaments, toxic or foreign object ingestion, cuts and other wounds that require emergency treatment.
  • Illnesses: Covered illnesses include cancer, arthritis, allergies, hypothyroidism, digestive problems and UTIs.
  • Hereditary & Congenital Conditions: Coverage for inherited conditions that present later in life such as heart disease, eye disorders and hip dysplasia.
  • Behavioral Issues: Coverage for vet visits for concerns related to issues like anxiety, compulsion, excessive licking or other destructive behaviors.

ASPCA Preventative Care coverage

If you elect the Preventative Care add-on, coverage is also available for the following items, depending on which options you select.

• All
    • FIP vaccine/titer
    • Feline FVRCP vaccine/titer
    • Feline FELV vaccine/titer

What’s not covered

ASPCA Pet Insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions, breeding costs or cosmetic procedures like tail docking, ear cropping and claw removal under their Comprehensive Plan. Preventative care is only available as an add-on service for an extra fee. The organization includes the following list of exclusions on their site.

• Anal gland expression
  • Funeral services
  • Grooming
  • Herbs
  • House calls
  • Illness or injury related to neglect
  • Ligament and knee conditions
  • Prescription food
  • Preventative care
  • Supplements and vitamins
  • Training
  • Treatment related to epidemics or pandemics

ASPCA Pet Insurance cost

The average price for ASPCA Pet Insurance complete coverage for one pet is $35/month. The cost increases or decreases based on your selection for annual limit, deductible and reimbursement percentage.

Annual deductible: Choose from $100, $250 or $500. The higher the deductible, the lower your monthly premium. However, the lower the premium, the more you’ll pay out of pocket per claim.

Reimbursement percentage: Choose from 70%, 80% or 90% reimbursement. This is the amount you receive back on your vet bill after paying your deductible.

Annual limit: Choose from $5,000, $10,000, $15,000, $20,000 or unlimited annual limits. This is the total amount ASPCA reimburses you per 12-month period.

Annual limitDeductibleReimbursementMonthly cost
$5,000 limit$50070%$25.66
$15,000 limit$25080%$45.21
Unlimited limit$10090%$75.96

ASPCA Pet Insurance FAQ

Does ASPCA Pet Insurance cover spaying?
Spaying and neutering are included under the preventative care add-on insurance option but is not covered under ASPCA’s standard Complete Coverage plan.
Does ASPCA Pet Insurance cover pre-existing conditions?
No. Pre-existing conditions are not covered under any of the ASPCA plans. However, certain hereditary conditions that develop later in life, like hip dysplasia and eye issues, are covered under the Complete Coverage plan.
Is there a waiting period with ASPCA Pet Insurance?
Yes. All policies have a 15-day waiting period before they go into effect.
Does ASPCA Pet Insurance have an app?
Yes. The ASPCA Pet Insurance app is called “My Pet Insurance,” and allows you to submit and track claims from anywhere.

Do we recommend ASPCA Pet Insurance?

Pet care can be expensive and rarely ever thought of until it is needed. A service like ASPCA’s Pet Insurance can help reduce the cost of an ill-timed vet emergency. With vet costs averaging between $200 - $400 a year, these bills can start to stack up. In the event your pet needs major surgery or emergency care, pet insurance can be the difference between getting your pet the care they need and being forced into tougher monetary decisions.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ASPCA Pet Health Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

Obtained Pet Insurance after My dog, Murphy had hurt his right knee, vet was unsure if it was a torn ACL or not but thought it might be, I realized these accidents could be expensive. He healed from that injury and was walking and playing just fine but a month or so later he was jumping around and hurt his left knee, this time he did in fact tear his ACL. Called ASPCA to make sure we were passed the waiting period and it was something that was covered. I was never told that if he had another injury on another leg it would be considered pre existing. So even though injury was done to his left leg and that’s the leg the surgery was done on, since he had hurt his right leg and had possibly torn that ACL they won’t reimburse us. Even though the second injury on a completely different limb was done after policy was in affect.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance response

Hi Brandi, we're sorry to hear you're unhappy with your coverage. We're sending this over to our customer service team for review now.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

I paid ASPCA $1,729.64 over a 2 year period and when I finally submitted a claim for $616, ($500 deductible and 80% of the balance), they would NOT honor the claim. After my deductible, they would have ONLY owed me approximately $92. I Cancelled before they STOLE one more dime from me!

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance response

Hi, Ken, we're sorry to hear you're unhappy with your coverage. We are sending this over to our customer service team for review now.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2022

Our Male cat has had complications from FIP. Charlie has had to have a fair amount of Vet care to thrive. ASPCA Insurance is 1000% hassle free, you submit the bill and you're paid in what I believe record time. No question about it. Very simple, very easy at a usually hard time for any pet owner. It's refreshing in this day and age to have no qualms about paying a policy every month and have to wonder about what is going to happen. ASPCA not only does a great job with animal rescues but a better job with assuring you confidence with their insurance. Thanks ASPCA. A job well done.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance response

Hi Vince, thank you for taking the time to submit such a kind review! We are glad you are having a great experience. Please give your cat some extra scratches from us today!

Original review: July 26, 2022

Never have had an issue. They are fast with processing claims and depositing into my bank act. The people that say they don’t pay probably never did what they asked to get paid!!! They want to see every single vet record of the whole time you have owned your pet before your 1st claim. Hence making sure you are not claiming pre-existing conditions! Not that hard. Never took longer than 2 weeks to get paid the 80% reimbursement for my dogs vet bills so I’m very happy with this pet insurance. One of the reviewers I read below said that they don’t cover conditions from the previous year when you have a renewal but that is not true because my dog needed a tooth extraction and she went to the vet in March when she was first diagnosed with a fractured tooth and then my policy renewed in April and I did not get her tooth extracted until May which was reimbursed more than $800 to me.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance response

Hi, Jacqueline. Thank you for reviewing our company and providing this positive feedback.

Original review: May 13, 2022

IF YOU ARE MILITARY AVOID AT ALL COST! We had our insurance for 2 years with them with never submitting anything. We got stationed overseas and they cancelled our insurance without telling us after we submitted a small claim. They said that a US military veterinarian clinic on a US military base is not considered part of the United States in their book so not only did they decline the claim they automatically cancelled our insurance without telling us and I only found out when I called to find out our claim status.

They said hopefully nothing happens to your dog during that time and to give them a call when we are back in the states again to apply for insurance again. Absolutely blew my mind on the logic behind everything and the fact they cared so little about my dog even though my address in their system was house on a military base overseas, they loved taking my $50+ payment every month for over a year until I submitted that claim. I'd rather pay twice the premium at another place than go through them again because of how little they actually care about animals.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance response

Hi, Andrew. We're sorry to hear you are unhappy with your coverage. As explained in our insuring agreement, "to be eligible under this policy, covered expenses must be incurred during the policy period within the United States, its territories (Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands) and Canada.

Original review: April 18, 2022

My pup had "bone growth plate" damage. We noticed it when she started limping and thought it was an injury. When she kept limping, X-rays showed that one bone stopped growing and the other one was curving to compensate. Surgery with PT was what my vet recommended. When I contacted ASPCA pet insurance about making claims, everyone I talked to was so sweet and caring. The claims were super easy (max 5 minutes of my time) and money was directly deposited into my bank. I've had no issues, no problems and after the $500 deductible everything was 80% covered. Couldn't be happier.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance response

Hi, Linda. Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this positive feedback.

Original review: April 12, 2022

Stalled claims over a nail trims! And ear cleanings. Every single claim came back NEED MORE INFORMATION...SEND RECORDS. I sent records everything. I had to call and follow up on every claim. Then they did the stall tactics. No...DO NOT GO HERE. HORRIBLE company. We were fortunate it was nothing serious! Save your money.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance response

Hi, Cindi. We make every effort to process claims as quickly as possible and will update the status in the Member Center as your claim continues through review. We’d be happy to discuss your claims in further detail if you’d like to give us a call at 1-866-204-6764.

Original review: March 3, 2022

They do not pay big claims. They will harass your vet for info piece a time instead of asking for everything at once. Also my horse got ulcers from her medication that should have been covered because it's a result of her accident. Their service writers said medicine won't give you ulcers. Refused a 4000.00 claim. Stay away.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance response

Hi, Rick. We're sorry to hear you're unhappy with your coverage. Please give us a call at 1-866-204-6764 if you would like to discuss this further.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

Updated on 05/14/2022: Won't pay out high bills. Had to contact the attorney general office. They harrased my vet so bad for weeks wanting everything down to handwritten notes on notepad. After they realized they have all info and a letter stating that her ulcers were a result from horse's accident should have been covered as stated in the contract.. Last contact I received from them was 4 weeks ago when they wanted vet records from 20 years ago when she was 1 yr old.

Original Review: Used them for small things. No problem getting reimbursed but now my older horse had bills up to 5000.00 and no matter what paperwork my vet sends them it's never good enough and then I was told if they request paperwork for 3rd time they cancel your claim. Now I know why they will not except any info. my vet sends them for this claim.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance response

Hi, Rick. Our coverage includes exam fees, diagnostics, treatments, medications, and alternative therapies for a broad range of health issues, including cancer and hereditary problems—no exclusions on conditions so long as they aren’t pre-existing. Also, we want to be clear that we do not cancel a pet’s coverage (or claim) due to age, health, or amount of claims submitted. We’d be happy to address your concerns in further detail if you would like to give us a call at 1-866-204-6764.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

Every claim that I’ve made is followed up in a few weeks with an email about how they’re sorry for the delay in processing claims. This has happened for over a year, yet they haven’t hired more people to help offset this issue. In fact, ever since I’ve started with my very first claim after years of making my premium payments, I’ve received these emails. Worse, once they eventually do process your claim which in some instances took well over a month, you can expect your new policy premium to drastically increase. I understand that the older the dog gets, this is normal but for years it was a modest increase of 2-3% but once you make that very first claim, you should expect to see your premiums increase at 10-20%. My dog is too old to switch now but please don’t give your money to this company and go with Nationwide’s pet insurance. I had them for my other dog and they were fantastic.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Company Information