4.60/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance understands that your pets are an important part of your family, but vet bills are often costly and unexpected. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance gives you the peace of mind that you will be able to give your pet the care they need when they need it without the burden of a large vet bill hanging over your head. The process is simple and convenient and your reimbursement can cover up to 90% of your covered bill. Call today to get the best coverage for your pet.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

556 ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I am so very thankful for ASPCA Pet Insurance. The first year we only needed it for routine care, we didn’t even reach our $250 deductible amount for it to reimburse. The second year though, I was VERY THANKFUL we had it. We don’t have children, our dog is our family. She came down with a nasty UTI costing about $3500 over 4 months time. Our total cost after meeting the $250 annual deductible was only 10%, so about $575 total. That $3000 difference was the DIFFERENCE between having to make a hard decision—go into debt, or surrender our dog so she could get proper treatment. Without ASPCA, those would have been our options and neither was one I’d be able to forgive myself for.

I tell everyone I know to ADOPT, SPAY/NEUTER, and GET ASPCA PET INSURANCE! It’s called being a responsible pet lover. Our total annual cost is $660 in monthly payments plus $250 deductible before being compensated for 90% of covered costs. If there’s any chance you may spend $910 in a year or $1820 in two years (and so forth) consider pet insurance! The app is easy to use—snap a picture of your invoice and upload. Have your bank info on the app and receive reimbursement between 30-45 days from submittal. Thank you for keeping our furry family member safe, healthy, and with a family who loves her more than words.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance response

Hello Trista,

We're so happy you chose ASPCA Pet Health Insurance to cover your dog. Appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I researched 3 different companies that offered Pet Insurance, I choose ASPCA strictly on reimbursement percentage and deductible. I had no other information to go on, like Customer Service, Claims Process, Repayment Times, etc., I choose for the deal and hoped for the best. I have a 1 yr old Labradoodle, call it Devine intervention or just great timing on my part and fortunately the Policy took effect immediately because 2 days after signing up was her first foxtail in the ear. A week later was her 2nd foxtail and 3 days after that a branch pierced her rear inner thigh and broke off inside, 3 Vet visits within 2 weeks of getting the Policy. Submitting a Claim couldn’t be any easier, I was more worried about getting a cancellation notice by the time I submitted my 3rd one. But everything they said they offered was true, within 2 weeks of each individual claim I submitted the 90% I was reimbursed was directly deposited into my bank account.

They request 2 things at the original claim and not once was I asked for any further information, any further explanations, nothing, I wasn’t even expecting getting reimbursed as fast as I did. I had already paid for the cost of the Policy, my deductible, and was cash ahead within the first 2 weeks of getting the Insurance Policy with a call from ASCPA after my claims were processed making sure I was happy with everything and was there anything I would recommend they could improve. I will renew my Policy annually without question and tell any and all other pet owners that the Pet Insurance offered by ASPCA is bar none one of the best companies and products I’ve ever dealt with. If only my own Health Insurance could be so easy.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My dog has been acutely paralyzed from a grooming/nail grinding session at Petsmart with unknown cause, in which the groomer apparently denied hurting my beloved pet, and no cameras per manager to prove the incident. I have been taking my dog for holistic care such as acupuncture, physical therapy and cold laser which helped tremendously since my dog can now walk, jump up the stairs and run again! It's a miracle indeed, no one would know he was briefly paralyzed with no feeling from the waist down!

Physical rehabilitation for dogs is not cheap, which could have left a huge hole in my pocket if I had not gotten this insurance which paid for 80% of vet bills, they even reimbursed vitamins, dog food and harness related to my dog’s medical condition which was awesome and customer service was fantastic. Everybody were so friendly, easy to talk to, follows up my case and left voicemail for updates and just seemed concerned about my dog, asking how he is doing which means so much especially carrying the hopeless feeling I had to go through for a while due to fear of my dog’s quality of life and possibly not being able to walk again, since the neurosurgeon who assessed my dog told me his prognosis was poor and even with $8,000 surgery, his chance of walking was only 5%.

I mean why would I had to let my dog suffer unnecessarily from invasive surgery if the chance he has is quite grim? I am sooo glad I tried the non-surgical route and have been consistently bringing my dog to pet rehabilitation, not only was it's so much cheaper compared to surgery but also less risky/invasive. Thank you again ASPCA, I certainly made the right choice to get this insurance for my pet’s health.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I filed a claim for surgery performed on our dog Mambo on 11/2/2018. The surgery was to remove stones in his bladder. The claim was denied as pre-existing. My policy states: "A condition will no longer be considered pre-existing if your pet's condition has been cured and free from treatment and symptoms for a period of 180 days". Our dog has no other medical history for the last 12 months, which his medical records show. Our vet has provided the following letter to the insurance company: "12y MN Havanese, has been under our care here at ** Veterinary Clinic since September 2017. He presented for inappropriate urination signs, and during workup it was found that he had urocystoliths. We performed a cystotomy 9/23/17, with a stone analysis which was consistent with Calcium Oxalate uroliths.

"The Hills C/D diet was prescribed for the first time post-operatively (again, 9/23/17). Ms. ** refilled this food several times from 9/2017 thru 10/2018. During this time, Mambo had no clinical signs of urinary disease at home. He was seen for a routine vaccination visit on 6/8/2018 and no clinical signs of urinary disease were noted. He came in for his annual exam and lab work on 10/30/18 and still reported no clinical signs of urinary disease. However, on his urinalysis we noted hematuria and crystalluria and recommended abdominal x-rays. A second cystotomy followed on 11/2/18. I hope these details help clarify the timeline so that Ms. ** claim can be processed fairly.

"Please call me with any additional questions or if medical records are required." Our vet furthered with: "Regarding our patient **, his Hill's Prescription Diet earlier this year was not prescribed for urocystolith dissolution. Please feel free to contact us for more information if required." Seems irreconcilable to me that the Vet says we meet the condition, and the insurance company knows better???

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

My husband & I adopted the most adorable St. Bernard puppy in May, 2018, he was 3 mos old when we brought him home, we named him Ziggy. Unbeknownst to us Ziggy's fun, carefree life would be quickly interrupted at the age of 5 mos. He came down with some unknown illness that first presented as lameness and quickly morphed into bacterial infection throughout his little body to the point where he was in severe distress. From mid-July to early August our days were spent taking Zigg back to emergency vet hospital (he was hospitalized 3 separate times) and each time still the Vets were not sure he would survive this ordeal. Primarily because he was a puppy and his immune system not fully developed. We had many scary sad nights, but throughout it our Vets never gave up hope they would find what was wrong with Zigg.

Happily today, Zigg has been home (for more than a month) and is well on his way to recovering. His diagnosis finally came that he had the dog version of MRSA (serious bacterial infections). Through all of this, we never once lost any sleep on how we were going to pay for Zigg's care. We found out luckily, that the breeder we adopted Zigg from had never canceled his ASPCA Pet Insurance. His coverage was for accidents/injury and paying up to 90% of bills. Submitting my claims for reimbursement was one of the easiest things I have ever done (too bad human health insurance isn't this simple). Went to the website, uploaded receipts, doctor's reports. ASPCA representatives emailed me immediately stating claims were received, and kept me informed of how they were progressing. ASPCA reps contacted the Vet directly, I did not have to be an intermediary.

My first set of claims were reimbursed (at 90%) within 2 weeks of submission, my 2nd set within 1 week. I cannot stress enough the fact that we were dealing with life threatening issues with our baby boy was beyond stressful. NOT having to have to worry about how we were going to pay for his care was beyond a miracle. Going thru what we have with Zigg, I realized I needed to get coverage for my 2 older dogs, Clay & Finn (Golden Retrievers - 8 & 5 years of age). Now I know I will never worry about caring for their medical needs in the future. If it ever occurs again, I know ASPCA will handle everything for us and all we have to do is focus on getting our babies well.

And on a separate note, whenever I did call ASPCA with questions or concerns, their very first question upon identifying me was "How is Ziggy?". It was incredible to have such care and concern with a representative whose job (really is to sell insurance). But the folks on the phone were truly caring and were concerned and you could feel it, it was not at all insincere. And even now almost a month since my last submission they were calling to follow up and see how Ziggy was doing, it was like talking to friends. I know there are many people who do not understand the connection we have with our pets, they are our family and to many of us "our children". And like any parent we love talking about our child, the folks at ASPCA understand this and are happy to hear our stories.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance response

Hello Maria,

Thanks for leaving us a review. We are happy to hear that we have been able to help. Please give Ziggy some extra belly rubs from us today.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ASPCA Pet Health Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

Very happy with my experience with ASPCA. Calls are answered by a real person. Always pleasant, friendly and helpful. Claims are handled promptly. Unfortunately my rescue puppy turned out to have a lot of medical issues but with ASPCA’s help I was able to address them and she is now doing great.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

When I originally shopped for pet insurance, I chose ASPCA because they had the best price for what I wanted for my cats. In the year I've been using their insurance, it has been very beneficial. I am happy with their service and the claims submission process.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I highly recommend this company. I've tried 3 other pet insurance companies over the past 12 years and this one surpasses all of my expectations. The website is user-friendly, easy to submit and track claims and the claims are processed quickly. The customer care service reps on the phone are patient and compassionate and extremely helpful. Again, I highly recommend this company over any other pet insurance company.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

It has been a very difficult time with my dog and family, but it has been easy to submit the claims for her evaluations and surgery. Thank you for the assistance. I appreciate how easy it is to upload the documents and check on the process.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

ASPCA Pet Insurance has been the difference between euthanasia and a quality, albeit challenging, life for my gentle giant. Unfortunately the premiums increased by nearly 30% after the first year. I am hoping this is something of a one off and will update next year as to whether this is a tenable long-term option. As things stand, they have otherwise been phenomenal- payments are processed quickly and efficiently.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

With options for dogs and cats, this pet insurance company allows pet owners to visit any veterinarian in the U.S. and Canada. They have complete coverage and accident-only coverage options.

• No networks: Unlike other insurance companies, ASPCA doesn’t work inside a network, which means you can take your dog or cat to any vet in the U.S. and Canada. This can be especially helpful for people who like to travel with their pet.

• ASPCA claims: Claims can be submitted online, through the mobile app, by mail or by fax. You can choose to be reimbursed directly into your bank account, or you can have a check mailed to you.

• Complete Coverage: This insurance plan covers everything when your pet is hurt or ill, including accidents, sickness, hereditary conditions and even behavioral issues.

• Accident-only coverage: Accident-only coverage will cover exam fees, diagnostics and treatment for accidents.

• Multi-pet discount: Save 10% when you insure multiple pets with ASPCA pet insurance. Discounts are applied automatically.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky