Get Pricing

2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

4.3/5 (756 ratings)

About ASPCA Pet Health Insurance

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance understands that your pets are an important part of your family, but vet bills are often costly and unexpected. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance gives you the peace of mind that you will be able to give your pet the care they need when they need it without the burden of a large vet bill hanging over your head. The process is simple and convenient and your reimbursement can cover up to 90% of your covered bill. Call today to get the best coverage for your pet.

Pros

• Exam fees included
  • No age restrictions
  • No networks

Cons

• Preventative care costs extra

Bottom Line

ASPCA Pet Insurance provides injury and illness coverage for animals. While preventative care coverage cost extra, the insurance offers comprehensive coverage options and a simple, quick claim process.

Top ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My horse sustained what would have been a life-ending injury had I not had ASPCA Pet Health Insurance. Instead, he has not only survived but he is anticipated to return to FULL AT...

Verified

Claims are responded to very quickly. No problems, no headaches. Claims are easy to submit and monitor online, making the process simple. Very happy with ASPCA Pet Insurance and w...

ASPCA Pet Insurance plans

ASPCA Pet Insurance offers two main plans: Complete Coverage and Accident-Only Coverage. For all plans offered by ASPCA, you can visit any vet, specialist or emergency clinic — no need to worry about networks. Simply get your pet the help they need when they need it then submit your claim at a later date.

• Complete Coverage: ASPCA’s core insurance offering is the Complete Coverage plan, which covers accident, illness, hereditary and behavioral issues. Cost varies based on your plan elections.
  • Accident-Only Coverage: For around $20 a month with a $5,000 limit, accident-only coverage is available to cover the fees associated with diagnosis and treatment of accidents like broken bones, cuts, wounds and toxic ingestion.
  • Preventative add-on: While preventative care is not covered under a regular plan, you can add-on preventative care for between $10 - $25 extra a month.

What does ASPCA Pet Insurance cover?

Coverage includes exam fees, diagnostics and treatments under the categories below. ASPCA advertises covering most advanced treatments, including conventional treatments like chemotherapy and surgeries, as well as less common treatments like stem-cell therapy and acupuncture.

• Accident: Accident coverage deals with costs associated with injuries like broken bones, torn ligaments, toxic or foreign object ingestion, cuts and other wounds that require emergency treatment.
  • Illnesses: Covered illnesses include cancer, arthritis, allergies, hypothyroidism, digestive problems and UTIs.
  • Hereditary & Congenital Conditions: Coverage for inherited conditions that present later in life such as heart disease, eye disorders and hip dysplasia.
  • Behavioral Issues: Coverage for vet visits for concerns related to issues like anxiety, compulsion, excessive licking or other destructive behaviors.

ASPCA Preventative Care coverage

If you elect the Preventative Care add-on, coverage is also available for the following items, depending on which options you select.

• All
    • FIP vaccine/titer
    • Feline FVRCP vaccine/titer
    • Feline FELV vaccine/titer

What’s not covered

ASPCA Pet Insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions, breeding costs or cosmetic procedures like tail docking, ear cropping and claw removal under their Comprehensive Plan. Preventative care is only available as an add-on service for an extra fee. The organization includes the following list of exclusions on their site.

• Anal gland expression
  • Funeral services
  • Grooming
  • Herbs
  • House calls
  • Illness or injury related to neglect
  • Ligament and knee conditions
  • Prescription food
  • Preventative care
  • Supplements and vitamins
  • Training
  • Treatment related to epidemics or pandemics

ASPCA Pet Insurance cost

The average price for ASPCA Pet Insurance complete coverage for one pet is $35/month. The cost increases or decreases based on your selection for annual limit, deductible and reimbursement percentage.

Annual deductible: Choose from $100, $250 or $500. The higher the deductible, the lower your monthly premium. However, the lower the premium, the more you’ll pay out of pocket per claim.

Reimbursement percentage: Choose from 70%, 80% or 90% reimbursement. This is the amount you receive back on your vet bill after paying your deductible.

Annual limit: Choose from $5,000, $10,000, $15,000, $20,000 or unlimited annual limits. This is the total amount ASPCA reimburses you per 12-month period.

Annual limitDeductibleReimbursementMonthly cost
$5,000 limit$50070%$25.66
$15,000 limit$25080%$45.21
Unlimited limit$10090%$75.96

ASPCA Pet Insurance FAQ

Does ASPCA Pet Insurance cover spaying?
Spaying and neutering are included under the preventative care add-on insurance option but is not covered under ASPCA’s standard Complete Coverage plan.
Does ASPCA Pet Insurance cover pre-existing conditions?
No. Pre-existing conditions are not covered under any of the ASPCA plans. However, certain hereditary conditions that develop later in life, like hip dysplasia and eye issues, are covered under the Complete Coverage plan.
Is there a waiting period with ASPCA Pet Insurance?
Yes. All policies have a 15-day waiting period before they go into effect.
Does ASPCA Pet Insurance have an app?
Yes. The ASPCA Pet Insurance app is called “My Pet Insurance,” and allows you to submit and track claims from anywhere.

Do we recommend ASPCA Pet Insurance?

Pet care can be expensive and rarely ever thought of until it is needed. A service like ASPCA’s Pet Insurance can help reduce the cost of an ill-timed vet emergency. With vet costs averaging between $200 - $400 a year, these bills can start to stack up. In the event your pet needs major surgery or emergency care, pet insurance can be the difference between getting your pet the care they need and being forced into tougher monetary decisions.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ASPCA Pet Health Insurance?

Original review: May 31, 2021

These guys do not pay claims based upon what the owner ACTUALLY pays the vets. They have stipulated "customary and standard" rates. Maybe there is some corner of Manhattan where their rates track what an owner would actually pay. I haven't found it. My cat had asthma for a number of years. They thrashed around and ultimately paid for diagnosis and treatment. However, this year, with two hospital stays of $4K, IMHA, and $6K, renal lymphoma, respectively, they are trying their hardest to link these two separate conditions to avoid paying out on the second which ultimately caused his my cat's death. How many times do I have to submit the same documents in answer to their requests for information?

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

The absolute worst insurance experience of anything I’ve ever had insurance on! Car, home, life, phone, flood!! After 3 months They keep sending me emails every two weeks about needling more info from my vet. My vet sent them 11 pages of records 4 times. I spoke to a rep EVERY WEEK since the surgery (July 27 2020). They say they don’t have them, then another rep says they do then again they're waiting. I’ve called and shown up at my vet's office 3 times to make sure they did their part and sure enough they did. I again call ASPCA pet insurance and wait the 40-over an hour wait times to be told the same things.

When they “verify” they have the records then tell me they will put this though for payment into my direct deposit, I get nothing but another email saying they’re waiting for medical records. I call again and the rep says the same repertoire then tells me they need records going back even further than a year since my dog has only been going to this vet less than a year. Not once had this come up in the previous emails. They always say they’re email the vet that did the surgery. I went and got, photographed and sent records all the way back to 2018!!

So I cancelled my coverage and every day for the last 5 days I get a voicemail and an email asking to keep coverage and remit payment. They’re adept at begging for money FROM me every day just not lifting a finger to PAY me. Also now when I go to the “My Pet Insurance” app the date of the claim says Jan. 1, 2001!!!! What a joke of a company! A $1042 surgery claim I’ll NEVER get back! STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I have 3 outstanding claims with them and they say because of covid it’s taking longer. One is 3 months, one 2 months and a third is about a month. I am owed over $1,000. I don’t understand how they are so behind but processed my payment for automatic insurance renewal. I called and emailed and can’t get my

Money.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance response

Hi, Kim, we make every effort to process claims as quickly as possible and will update the status in the Member Center as your claim continues through review. We’d be happy to discuss your claims in further detail if you’d like to give us a call at 1-866-204-6764.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

My dog Toto was insured by ASPCA Pet Insurance (underwritten by The Crum & Forster group) for over 10 years. Paid around 10000 in insurance premiums over 10 year period. When my dog needed an ACL surgery, the company has denied my claim, stating that incident has occurred in the prior policy year. Company is saying that when policy is renewed each year, treatment for the incidents that happened in the prior year would not be covered. I think this is an unfair practice and want all current and potential customers to be aware of that. The cost of surgery was over $2500 and I got paid 0 by the insurance.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance response

Hi, Igor, we're sorry to hear you're unhappy with your coverage. Please give us a call at 1-866-204-6764 so we may address your concerns.

Original review: June 5, 2020

When I picked ASPCA I had called around to many other pet insurance companies and, at the time, ASPCA offered the most coverage at the lowest price of $88/mo. My policy is about to be renewed so they sent me the changes to the prices in one year... $142/mo. That is a 61% increase in just one year. When I called a customer service representative asking them for support for how they determined the price increase she said she'd get back to me in a few days and I still haven't heard back a month later.

I e-mailed their customer service e-mail and received a different explanation as to why the rates were increasing so much. Not that this impacts the pricing, but I have not filed one claim with them thus far. I'd beware of this company. A 61% increase in one year is uncalled for and if it is "warranted" the company should do a much better job of explaining it to avoid losing customers. I'll be searching elsewhere.

Original review: May 23, 2020

I have never had a problem, They were always there when my Taco boy was sick and and then passed away. I can not thank they enough. They even called me after Taco passed away to see if I needed anything and how sorry they were which I really appreciated. They have been great for my two chihuahua girls also.

Original review: May 12, 2020

I am pleased with this product and it is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I had to make several claims for my french bulldog and it was easy to submit the claims and the process was simple and it is a good product.

Original review: May 12, 2020

The claims have taken much longer to process since last year. I had always been impressed with the timeliness in receiving my reimbursements. These new issues were existing prior to the Covid 19. Basically since my renewal last year there seems be delays. I have always recommended your company to others in the past. Do not know what has happened but these are our feelings today. Hope you return to the prior processing time.

Sincerely,

MIchael **

Original review: May 11, 2020

Mailed in a few claims at the same time because I wasn't able to scan them in. Got an email from ASPCA when the claims were received and other emails when they were processed. Processing was timely and I received the payment checks shortly thereafter. I was satisfied with the service and how the claims were handled.

Original review: May 11, 2020

ASPCA is straight up the best animal pet insurance company that I have had for my dog. I took out the more pricey insurance because our dog is older, but claims are processed in a timely manner and overall has given me the peace of mind that my dog will get the best care with this insurance.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Company Information