4.64/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance understands that your pets are an important part of your family, but vet bills are often costly and unexpected. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance gives you the peace of mind that you will be able to give your pet the care they need when they need it without the burden of a large vet bill hanging over your head. The process is simple and convenient and your reimbursement can cover up to 90% of your covered bill. Call today to get the best coverage for your pet.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

ASPCA Pet Insurance provides injury and illness coverage for animals. While preventative care coverage cost extra, the insurance offers comprehensive coverage options and a simple, quick claim process.

PROS

• Exam fees included
  • No age restrictions
  • No networks

CONS

• Preventative care costs extra

Top ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Reviews

07/22/2019

My horse sustained what would have been a life-ending injury had I not had ASPCA Pet Health Insurance. Nearly all of my claim payouts have turned around in under 5 days.

08/24/2019

Claims are responded to very quickly. No problems, no headaches. Very happy with ASPCA Pet Insurance and would recommend to anyone with a pet.

ASPCA Pet Insurance plans

ASPCA Pet Insurance offers two main plans: Complete Coverage and Accident-Only Coverage. For all plans offered by ASPCA, you can visit any vet, specialist or emergency clinic — no need to worry about networks. Simply get your pet the help they need when they need it then submit your claim at a later date.

• Complete Coverage: ASPCA’s core insurance offering is the Complete Coverage plan, which covers accident, illness, hereditary and behavioral issues. Cost varies based on your plan elections.
  • Accident-Only Coverage: For around $20 a month with a $5,000 limit, accident-only coverage is available to cover the fees associated with diagnosis and treatment of accidents like broken bones, cuts, wounds and toxic ingestion.
  • Preventative add-on: While preventative care is not covered under a regular plan, you can add-on preventative care for between $10 - $25 extra a month.

What does ASPCA Pet Insurance cover?

Coverage includes exam fees, diagnostics and treatments under the categories below. ASPCA advertises covering most advanced treatments, including conventional treatments like chemotherapy and surgeries, as well as less common treatments like stem-cell therapy and acupuncture.

• Accident: Accident coverage deals with costs associated with injuries like broken bones, torn ligaments, toxic or foreign object ingestion, cuts and other wounds that require emergency treatment.
  • Illnesses: Covered illnesses include cancer, arthritis, allergies, hypothyroidism, digestive problems and UTIs.
  • Hereditary & Congenital Conditions: Coverage for inherited conditions that present later in life such as heart disease, eye disorders and hip dysplasia.
  • Behavioral Issues: Coverage for vet visits for concerns related to issues like anxiety, compulsion, excessive licking or other destructive behaviors.

ASPCA Preventative Care coverage

If you elect the Preventative Care add-on, coverage is also available for the following items, depending on which options you select.

• All
    • FIP vaccine/titer
    • Feline FVRCP vaccine/titer
    • Feline FELV vaccine/titer

What’s not covered

ASPCA Pet Insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions, breeding costs or cosmetic procedures like tail docking, ear cropping and claw removal under their Comprehensive Plan. Preventative care is only available as an add-on service for an extra fee. The organization includes the following list of exclusions on their site.

• Anal gland expression
  • Funeral services
  • Grooming
  • Herbs
  • House calls
  • Illness or injury related to neglect
  • Ligament and knee conditions
  • Prescription food
  • Preventative care
  • Supplements and vitamins
  • Training
  • Treatment related to epidemics or pandemics

ASPCA Pet Insurance cost

The average price for ASPCA Pet Insurance complete coverage for one pet is $35/month. The cost increases or decreases based on your selection for annual limit, deductible and reimbursement percentage.

Annual deductible: Choose from $100, $250 or $500. The higher the deductible, the lower your monthly premium. However, the lower the premium, the more you’ll pay out of pocket per claim.

Reimbursement percentage: Choose from 70%, 80% or 90% reimbursement. This is the amount you receive back on your vet bill after paying your deductible.

Annual limit: Choose from $5,000, $10,000, $15,000, $20,000 or unlimited annual limits. This is the total amount ASPCA reimburses you per 12-month period.

Annual limitDeductibleReimbursementMonthly cost
$5,000 limit$50070%$25.66
$15,000 limit$25080%$45.21
Unlimited limit$10090%$75.96

ASPCA Pet Insurance FAQ

Does ASPCA Pet Insurance cover spaying?
Spaying and neutering are included under the preventative care add-on insurance option but is not covered under ASPCA’s standard Complete Coverage plan.
Does ASPCA Pet Insurance cover pre-existing conditions?
No. Pre-existing conditions are not covered under any of the ASPCA plans. However, certain hereditary conditions that develop later in life, like hip dysplasia and eye issues, are covered under the Complete Coverage plan.
Is there a waiting period with ASPCA Pet Insurance?
Yes. All policies have a 15-day waiting period before they go into effect.
Does ASPCA Pet Insurance have an app?
Yes. The ASPCA Pet Insurance app is called “My Pet Insurance,” and allows you to submit and track claims from anywhere.

Do we recommend ASPCA Pet Insurance?

Pet care can be expensive and rarely ever thought of until it is needed. A service like ASPCA’s Pet Insurance can help reduce the cost of an ill-timed vet emergency. With vet costs averaging between $200 - $400 a year, these bills can start to stack up. In the event your pet needs major surgery or emergency care, pet insurance can be the difference between getting your pet the care they need and being forced into tougher monetary decisions.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: July 22, 2019

My horse sustained what would have been a life-ending injury had I not had ASPCA Pet Health Insurance. Instead, he has not only survived but he is anticipated to return to FULL ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE as an event horse. Coal is the absolute sweetest boy, with a huge personality and a loving nature. He is a horse who loves people, loves attention and whom I love with my whole heart. Coal had 2 hospital stays, major surgery, multiple rounds of regenerative therapy, x-rays, ultrasounds, emergency visits, a multitude of medications and it has all been covered with no hassle, the easiest claim submittal process in the industry and incredibly swift payout. Nearly all of my claim payouts have turned around in under 5 days, even surgery. Meaning, a direct deposit into my checking account so I'm not carrying a credit card balance.

I'm telling everyone I know about the outstanding service and coverage we've received and I'm happy to say I have had 3 friends with a total of six horses who are now covered, I'm so happy for them, knowing they too will have the opportunity to provide the care their horses need in a crisis. Every person I've spoken with at ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has been pleasant and responsive, I really just can't thank ASPCA Pet Health Insurance enough for allowing me to provide life-saving care to my best friend. Thank you.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance response

Hi Kelly,

We're so happy you chose ASPCA Pet Health Insurance to cover your horse! Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I am so very thankful for ASPCA Pet Insurance. The first year we only needed it for routine care, we didn’t even reach our $250 deductible amount for it to reimburse. The second year though, I was VERY THANKFUL we had it. We don’t have children, our dog is our family. She came down with a nasty UTI costing about $3500 over 4 months time. Our total cost after meeting the $250 annual deductible was only 10%, so about $575 total. That $3000 difference was the DIFFERENCE between having to make a hard decision—go into debt, or surrender our dog so she could get proper treatment. Without ASPCA, those would have been our options and neither was one I’d be able to forgive myself for.

I tell everyone I know to ADOPT, SPAY/NEUTER, and GET ASPCA PET INSURANCE! It’s called being a responsible pet lover. Our total annual cost is $660 in monthly payments plus $250 deductible before being compensated for 90% of covered costs. If there’s any chance you may spend $910 in a year or $1820 in two years (and so forth) consider pet insurance! The app is easy to use—snap a picture of your invoice and upload. Have your bank info on the app and receive reimbursement between 30-45 days from submittal. Thank you for keeping our furry family member safe, healthy, and with a family who loves her more than words.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance response

Hello Trista,

We're so happy you chose ASPCA Pet Health Insurance to cover your dog. Appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I researched 3 different companies that offered Pet Insurance, I choose ASPCA strictly on reimbursement percentage and deductible. I had no other information to go on, like Customer Service, Claims Process, Repayment Times, etc., I choose for the deal and hoped for the best. I have a 1 yr old Labradoodle, call it Devine intervention or just great timing on my part and fortunately the Policy took effect immediately because 2 days after signing up was her first foxtail in the ear. A week later was her 2nd foxtail and 3 days after that a branch pierced her rear inner thigh and broke off inside, 3 Vet visits within 2 weeks of getting the Policy. Submitting a Claim couldn’t be any easier, I was more worried about getting a cancellation notice by the time I submitted my 3rd one. But everything they said they offered was true, within 2 weeks of each individual claim I submitted the 90% I was reimbursed was directly deposited into my bank account.

They request 2 things at the original claim and not once was I asked for any further information, any further explanations, nothing, I wasn’t even expecting getting reimbursed as fast as I did. I had already paid for the cost of the Policy, my deductible, and was cash ahead within the first 2 weeks of getting the Insurance Policy with a call from ASCPA after my claims were processed making sure I was happy with everything and was there anything I would recommend they could improve. I will renew my Policy annually without question and tell any and all other pet owners that the Pet Insurance offered by ASPCA is bar none one of the best companies and products I’ve ever dealt with. If only my own Health Insurance could be so easy.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My dog has been acutely paralyzed from a grooming/nail grinding session at Petsmart with unknown cause, in which the groomer apparently denied hurting my beloved pet, and no cameras per manager to prove the incident. I have been taking my dog for holistic care such as acupuncture, physical therapy and cold laser which helped tremendously since my dog can now walk, jump up the stairs and run again! It's a miracle indeed, no one would know he was briefly paralyzed with no feeling from the waist down!

Physical rehabilitation for dogs is not cheap, which could have left a huge hole in my pocket if I had not gotten this insurance which paid for 80% of vet bills, they even reimbursed vitamins, dog food and harness related to my dog’s medical condition which was awesome and customer service was fantastic. Everybody were so friendly, easy to talk to, follows up my case and left voicemail for updates and just seemed concerned about my dog, asking how he is doing which means so much especially carrying the hopeless feeling I had to go through for a while due to fear of my dog’s quality of life and possibly not being able to walk again, since the neurosurgeon who assessed my dog told me his prognosis was poor and even with $8,000 surgery, his chance of walking was only 5%.

I mean why would I had to let my dog suffer unnecessarily from invasive surgery if the chance he has is quite grim? I am sooo glad I tried the non-surgical route and have been consistently bringing my dog to pet rehabilitation, not only was it's so much cheaper compared to surgery but also less risky/invasive. Thank you again ASPCA, I certainly made the right choice to get this insurance for my pet’s health.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I filed a claim for surgery performed on our dog Mambo on 11/2/2018. The surgery was to remove stones in his bladder. The claim was denied as pre-existing. My policy states: "A condition will no longer be considered pre-existing if your pet's condition has been cured and free from treatment and symptoms for a period of 180 days". Our dog has no other medical history for the last 12 months, which his medical records show. Our vet has provided the following letter to the insurance company: "12y MN Havanese, has been under our care here at ** Veterinary Clinic since September 2017. He presented for inappropriate urination signs, and during workup it was found that he had urocystoliths. We performed a cystotomy 9/23/17, with a stone analysis which was consistent with Calcium Oxalate uroliths.

"The Hills C/D diet was prescribed for the first time post-operatively (again, 9/23/17). Ms. ** refilled this food several times from 9/2017 thru 10/2018. During this time, Mambo had no clinical signs of urinary disease at home. He was seen for a routine vaccination visit on 6/8/2018 and no clinical signs of urinary disease were noted. He came in for his annual exam and lab work on 10/30/18 and still reported no clinical signs of urinary disease. However, on his urinalysis we noted hematuria and crystalluria and recommended abdominal x-rays. A second cystotomy followed on 11/2/18. I hope these details help clarify the timeline so that Ms. ** claim can be processed fairly.

"Please call me with any additional questions or if medical records are required." Our vet furthered with: "Regarding our patient **, his Hill's Prescription Diet earlier this year was not prescribed for urocystolith dissolution. Please feel free to contact us for more information if required." Seems irreconcilable to me that the Vet says we meet the condition, and the insurance company knows better???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ASPCA Pet Health Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

They will do whatever they can to not reimburse you for anything. It's clear they let whoever answers the phone choose what is a "preexisting condition" based on their subjective opinion. My vet went through all my pup's records with me and told me the insurance should cover it-- $1000 vet bill and two years of monthly payments to ASPCA later and I've paid for it all and not gotten a penny back. Cancelled my plan today-- it's more beneficial to put money away monthly for an emergency than to give it to these crooks.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

When I decided to put my dogs on insurance, I spent days researching & calling around to as many Pet Insurance companies as I could. After speaking with dozens of representatives and weighing the options, ASPCA stood out as being the most affordable - relative to the coverage you choose. I was skeptical at first that this low price might include some unseen consequences. Now that I've been with them for over a year and filed a number of claims I can say that my worries were not the case. ASPCA pet insurance has shined at every opportunity and I am so glad I went with them. They answer questions promptly, keep me informed about the status of my claims, and have shown none of the classic "challenges" that can often come from dealing with insurance companies in general. Thank you from a satisfied customer!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I've never had much faith in insurance companies, but getting insurance on my dog through the ASPCA has been one of the smartest things I've ever done! The claim process is super easy, and I havent gotten the run around which is what I expected. This allows me to give my dog the care he needs without stressing out about it! Thank you aspca!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance is AMAZING!! They are extremely prompt in processing claims and are always available to answer questions. When I called to let them know my dog needed surgery, they were genuinely concerned for his welfare. I would totally recommend ASPCA Pet Health Insurance!!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I have found ASPCA pet insurance to be fairly priced, timely in payment, and beyond that, they actually care! I received a phone call and was pleasantly surprised that the woman making the call genuinely cared about the well being of my 1.5 year old Boxer. She ate poisonous mushrooms. ASPCA has been great.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Company Information