2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance
Accredited Partner

Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.64/5

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance understands that your pets are an important part of your family, but vet bills are often costly and unexpected. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance gives you the peace of mind that you will be able to give your pet the care they need when they need it without the burden of a large vet bill hanging over your head. The process is simple and convenient and your reimbursement can cover up to 90% of your covered bill. Call today to get the best coverage for your pet.

BOTTOM LINE

ASPCA Pet Insurance provides injury and illness coverage for animals. While preventative care coverage cost extra, the insurance offers comprehensive coverage options and a simple, quick claim process.

PROS

• Exam fees included
  • No age restrictions
  • No networks

CONS

• Preventative care costs extra

Top ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ASPCA Pet Health Insurance?

My horse sustained what would have been a life-ending injury had I not had ASPCA Pet Health Insurance. Instead, he has not only survived but he is anticipated to return to FULL ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE as an event horse. ... I really just can't thank ASPCA Pet Health Insurance enough...

Claims are responded to very quickly. No problems, no headaches. Claims are easy to submit and monitor online, making the process simple. Very happy with ASPCA Pet Insurance and would recommend to anyone with a pet.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Get Pricing

ASPCA Pet Insurance plans

ASPCA Pet Insurance offers two main plans: Complete Coverage and Accident-Only Coverage. For all plans offered by ASPCA, you can visit any vet, specialist or emergency clinic — no need to worry about networks. Simply get your pet the help they need when they need it then submit your claim at a later date.

• Complete Coverage: ASPCA’s core insurance offering is the Complete Coverage plan, which covers accident, illness, hereditary and behavioral issues. Cost varies based on your plan elections.
  • Accident-Only Coverage: For around $20 a month with a $5,000 limit, accident-only coverage is available to cover the fees associated with diagnosis and treatment of accidents like broken bones, cuts, wounds and toxic ingestion.
  • Preventative add-on: While preventative care is not covered under a regular plan, you can add-on preventative care for between $10 - $25 extra a month.

What does ASPCA Pet Insurance cover?

Coverage includes exam fees, diagnostics and treatments under the categories below. ASPCA advertises covering most advanced treatments, including conventional treatments like chemotherapy and surgeries, as well as less common treatments like stem-cell therapy and acupuncture.

• Accident: Accident coverage deals with costs associated with injuries like broken bones, torn ligaments, toxic or foreign object ingestion, cuts and other wounds that require emergency treatment.
  • Illnesses: Covered illnesses include cancer, arthritis, allergies, hypothyroidism, digestive problems and UTIs.
  • Hereditary & Congenital Conditions: Coverage for inherited conditions that present later in life such as heart disease, eye disorders and hip dysplasia.
  • Behavioral Issues: Coverage for vet visits for concerns related to issues like anxiety, compulsion, excessive licking or other destructive behaviors.

ASPCA Preventative Care coverage

If you elect the Preventative Care add-on, coverage is also available for the following items, depending on which options you select.

• All
    • FIP vaccine/titer
    • Feline FVRCP vaccine/titer
    • Feline FELV vaccine/titer

What’s not covered

ASPCA Pet Insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions, breeding costs or cosmetic procedures like tail docking, ear cropping and claw removal under their Comprehensive Plan. Preventative care is only available as an add-on service for an extra fee. The organization includes the following list of exclusions on their site.

• Anal gland expression
  • Funeral services
  • Grooming
  • Herbs
  • House calls
  • Illness or injury related to neglect
  • Ligament and knee conditions
  • Prescription food
  • Preventative care
  • Supplements and vitamins
  • Training
  • Treatment related to epidemics or pandemics

ASPCA Pet Insurance cost

The average price for ASPCA Pet Insurance complete coverage for one pet is $35/month. The cost increases or decreases based on your selection for annual limit, deductible and reimbursement percentage.

Annual deductible: Choose from $100, $250 or $500. The higher the deductible, the lower your monthly premium. However, the lower the premium, the more you’ll pay out of pocket per claim.

Reimbursement percentage: Choose from 70%, 80% or 90% reimbursement. This is the amount you receive back on your vet bill after paying your deductible.

Annual limit: Choose from $5,000, $10,000, $15,000, $20,000 or unlimited annual limits. This is the total amount ASPCA reimburses you per 12-month period.

Annual limitDeductibleReimbursementMonthly cost
$5,000 limit$50070%$25.66
$15,000 limit$25080%$45.21
Unlimited limit$10090%$75.96

ASPCA Pet Insurance FAQ

Does ASPCA Pet Insurance cover spaying?
Spaying and neutering are included under the preventative care add-on insurance option but is not covered under ASPCA’s standard Complete Coverage plan.
Does ASPCA Pet Insurance cover pre-existing conditions?
No. Pre-existing conditions are not covered under any of the ASPCA plans. However, certain hereditary conditions that develop later in life, like hip dysplasia and eye issues, are covered under the Complete Coverage plan.
Is there a waiting period with ASPCA Pet Insurance?
Yes. All policies have a 15-day waiting period before they go into effect.
Does ASPCA Pet Insurance have an app?
Yes. The ASPCA Pet Insurance app is called “My Pet Insurance,” and allows you to submit and track claims from anywhere.

Do we recommend ASPCA Pet Insurance?

Pet care can be expensive and rarely ever thought of until it is needed. A service like ASPCA’s Pet Insurance can help reduce the cost of an ill-timed vet emergency. With vet costs averaging between $200 - $400 a year, these bills can start to stack up. In the event your pet needs major surgery or emergency care, pet insurance can be the difference between getting your pet the care they need and being forced into tougher monetary decisions.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ASPCA Pet Health Insurance?

Original review: May 9, 2020

ASPCA's pet health insurance has been a great deal for us. I purchased it for our remaining cat after one of our two cats died of pancreatic cancer last summer. Several months later the remaining cat became sick with feline lymphoma and we unfortunately had to make many visits to the vet for treatment, testing, etc. The insurance reimbursements saved us a lot of money in vet bills, as well as giving us peace of mind, and was very easy to use. Generally payments were made within a few weeks of submitting a claim, and all of our claims were easily managed from the web interface. It allowed us to spend a few extra months with our beloved cat, and after we had to put her to sleep, they even called to express their condolences. I highly recommend ASPCA pet health insurance and if/when we get more cats in the future, we will definitely be using them again.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: March 11, 2020

After having (and not needing) accident insurance on my two dogs for years, we wound up needing it for both of them two weeks in a row. The first dog swallowed a toy and needed emergency obstruction removal surgery. Thanks to our accident insurance, we were able to say yes to the surgery, which cost thousands, without hesitation and be reimbursed for most of the cost.

Without this insurance, our otherwise young, happy and healthy dog would've had an entirely different outcome. This insurance saved his life and I'm eternally grateful for the kind customer service rep I spoke with, as well as the speed with which our claim was reviewed and paid out. The second dog's scenario wasn't as life threatening or expensive, but it was still reassuring to have him covered. I highly recommend this pet insurance to everyone who has cats and dogs -- best case scenario, it's money you throw at the company every month; worst case scenario, you need it to save your pet's life.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I've been a bit delayed in submitting a review of ASPCA Pet Health Insurance and should have done so sooner. My husband and I are so glad to have insurance through ASPCA for our 80-lb. toddler/pit bull mix, Zeus. Not long after first getting the policy we experienced a series of scary and unnerving health issues with Zeus, including one that resulted in a very expensive trip to a pet ER and another one not long after that resulted in an (almost equally expensive) emergency trip to what is now his permanent (and absolutely wonderful) vet! I tear up thinking about the anxiety, worry, and stress we dealt with over a period of about 2 months of constant and out-of-nowhere health issues with our baby that resulted in several vet trips and I'm just so grateful to this company for being there for us through such a difficult time.

Claim processing time was a bit delayed in the beginning, but it was mainly because there were lots of moving parts at the time; we had just moved from out of state, got the insurance, needed to communicate with his old vet about sending his health records in and maintain regular communication with ASPCA regarding those preliminary details, and then needed to find him a permanent vet since his first veterinary experience here was at an ER. So there was a lot going on. But each person I spoke to was so kind, caring, and empathetic and really seemed like they genuinely cared about what we were going through and about helping facilitate the process as much as possible.

I never felt like I was getting "the run-around" from anyone, every person I spoke to was very clear in terms of the documentation required for submission before any claims could be processed, the steps they'd need to go through on their end, and about how long they would take to be processed. So I know it's a bit of a hassle to make sure the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed, but really if you stay on top of things sooner than later, you'll avoid being inconvenienced when it matters the most.

For our 2 year old fur baby, the monthly premium cost is also pretty fair both in comparison to other companies we got quotes from and in considering the coverage details -- we chose a low deductible, the highest reimbursement percentage, and a generous annual limit. And honestly the peace of mind I have from having this insurance is priceless.

My only suggestion for improvement to them would be to offer a bit more for the wellness plan. I researched a LOT of pet insurance companies, probably all of them, and this seems to be an issue across the board. Best case scenario I found, I'd break even, with the worst case being I end up spending more altogether with wellness costs and the wellness plans themselves, so I opted to stick with the accidents and illnesses coverage. The coverage itself was/is good enough that the wellness plan being inadequate wasn't a deal-breaker for us. But it would be really nice to be able to get a wellness plan that is actually worth getting.

And I'd be remiss in my duty as a millennial if I didn't comment on the technological convenience. Their app is GREAT. I've literally never filled out a single paper or even submitted claims on my laptop, EVERYTHING I've done I've done via phone calls or on their app. You can really see and do everything you need on the app, which for me is extremely important cause 1.) I'm busy and 2.) is anyone really even able to remember their passwords anymore with how ridiculous the requirements are? Basically, if I can't access it via fingerprint on a smartphone, I'm not interested because I know I'll never get to it. And this is another way this company helps make things as convenient as possible. I very highly recommend this insurance. You just never know when you'll need it and if and when you do, you'll be glad you have one less thing to worry about.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I decided a few years ago that I needed to get my Puggle a supplemental insurance for emergencies or things that happened outside of her Banfield plan as it seems like if she gets sick or injured it's outside of office hours and emergency service is expensive. Plus she's a Puggle and unfortunately her little bug eyes seem a bit prone to random surface scratches. I did a TON of research and thought I had picked the best company to go with but the one time I actually needed it, they were terrible to work with and rude. I ended up having to file a claim with the BBB to get results.

After hearing my experience (and being involved with it because they were appalled about the hoops they were making me jump through), my vets recommended ASPCA so I switched. The one time I called them I felt like I was calling a local place, not some call center. I have had no issues getting reimbursed for my claims - I put them in via the app, can see what's happening and get the money direct deposited. It's been a wonderful experience and I wish I had found them years ago. I can't say enough nice things about them - if you're remotely unhappy with your current or looking for your first, please save your time and get ASPCA.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I recommend ASPCA pet insurance to any and every pet owner. Their online platform is straight forward and user-friendly, customer service is always pleasant, efficient and resourceful. We have both our dogs on an insurance plan, Finnegan and Carter. Being that Finn is a french bulldog, the vet has nearly been a second home for us in his first year. We are at such ease with both Finn and Carter's current and future health, knowing that we have an amazing support system in our ASPCA family.

The ASPCA insurance team is quick with claims which we are extremely grateful for. Their rates are very affordable and fair in comparison to competitors, but for us, ASPCA brings more value to the table with the 360 experience. Luckily our visits have mainly revolved around allergy issues but again, their platform makes it incredibly convenient for us to navigate and utilize. We have experience with both submitting claims for reimbursements as well as estimates. Both have been extremely beneficial for us. Direct deposits are always efficient and speedy. I remember receiving a reimbursement over a holiday which was incredible. To anyone looking for a reliable pet insurance plan, rest assure you and your pets are in the right hands with ASPCA. HIGHLY recommend!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

My dog Toto was insured by ASPCA Pet Insurance (underwritten by The Crum & Forster group) for over 10 years. Paid around 10000 in insurance premiums over 10 year period. When my dog needed an ACL surgery, the company has denied my claim, stating that incident has occurred in the prior policy year. Company is saying that when policy is renewed each year, treatment for the incidents that happened in the prior year would not be covered. I think this is an unfair practice and want all current and potential customers to be aware of that. The cost of surgery was over $2500 and I got paid 0 by the insurance.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance response

Hi, Igor, we're sorry to hear you're unhappy with your coverage. Please give us a call at 1-866-204-6764 so we may address your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

My overall experience with them is good. However, the premiums for two dogs are going up every year for the past 2 years. If this continues I will not be able to stay with them.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Our animal has been insured for the past 3.5 years. Our claims, when filed, have been responded to and paid with accuracy and promptness. We have also had phone contact to address some issues and the staff has been wonderful and solved our issues.

Original review: June 5, 2020

When I picked ASPCA I had called around to many other pet insurance companies and, at the time, ASPCA offered the most coverage at the lowest price of $88/mo. My policy is about to be renewed so they sent me the changes to the prices in one year... $142/mo. That is a 61% increase in just one year. When I called a customer service representative asking them for support for how they determined the price increase she said she'd get back to me in a few days and I still haven't heard back a month later.

I e-mailed their customer service e-mail and received a different explanation as to why the rates were increasing so much. Not that this impacts the pricing, but I have not filed one claim with them thus far. I'd beware of this company. A 61% increase in one year is uncalled for and if it is "warranted" the company should do a much better job of explaining it to avoid losing customers. I'll be searching elsewhere.

Original review: May 23, 2020

I have never had a problem, They were always there when my Taco boy was sick and and then passed away. I can not thank they enough. They even called me after Taco passed away to see if I needed anything and how sorry they were which I really appreciated. They have been great for my two chihuahua girls also.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Company Information