4.72/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance understands that your pets are an important part of your family, but vet bills are often costly and unexpected. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance gives you the peace of mind that you will be able to give your pet the care they need when they need it without the burden of a large vet bill hanging over your head. The process is simple and convenient and your reimbursement can cover up to 90% of your covered bill. Call today to get the best coverage for your pet.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

ASPCA Pet Insurance provides injury and illness coverage for animals. While preventative care coverage cost extra, the insurance offers comprehensive coverage options and a simple, quick claim process.

PROS

• Exam fees included
  • No age restrictions
  • No networks

CONS

• Preventative care costs extra

Top ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Reviews

My horse sustained what would have been a life-ending injury had I not had ASPCA Pet Health Insurance. Nearly all of my claim payouts have turned around in under 5 days.

Claims are responded to very quickly. No problems, no headaches. Very happy with ASPCA Pet Insurance and would recommend to anyone with a pet.

ASPCA Pet Insurance plans

ASPCA Pet Insurance offers two main plans: Complete Coverage and Accident-Only Coverage. For all plans offered by ASPCA, you can visit any vet, specialist or emergency clinic — no need to worry about networks. Simply get your pet the help they need when they need it then submit your claim at a later date.

• Complete Coverage: ASPCA’s core insurance offering is the Complete Coverage plan, which covers accident, illness, hereditary and behavioral issues. Cost varies based on your plan elections.
  • Accident-Only Coverage: For around $20 a month with a $5,000 limit, accident-only coverage is available to cover the fees associated with diagnosis and treatment of accidents like broken bones, cuts, wounds and toxic ingestion.
  • Preventative add-on: While preventative care is not covered under a regular plan, you can add-on preventative care for between $10 - $25 extra a month.

What does ASPCA Pet Insurance cover?

Coverage includes exam fees, diagnostics and treatments under the categories below. ASPCA advertises covering most advanced treatments, including conventional treatments like chemotherapy and surgeries, as well as less common treatments like stem-cell therapy and acupuncture.

• Accident: Accident coverage deals with costs associated with injuries like broken bones, torn ligaments, toxic or foreign object ingestion, cuts and other wounds that require emergency treatment.
  • Illnesses: Covered illnesses include cancer, arthritis, allergies, hypothyroidism, digestive problems and UTIs.
  • Hereditary & Congenital Conditions: Coverage for inherited conditions that present later in life such as heart disease, eye disorders and hip dysplasia.
  • Behavioral Issues: Coverage for vet visits for concerns related to issues like anxiety, compulsion, excessive licking or other destructive behaviors.

ASPCA Preventative Care coverage

If you elect the Preventative Care add-on, coverage is also available for the following items, depending on which options you select.

• All
    • FIP vaccine/titer
    • Feline FVRCP vaccine/titer
    • Feline FELV vaccine/titer

What’s not covered

ASPCA Pet Insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions, breeding costs or cosmetic procedures like tail docking, ear cropping and claw removal under their Comprehensive Plan. Preventative care is only available as an add-on service for an extra fee. The organization includes the following list of exclusions on their site.

• Anal gland expression
  • Funeral services
  • Grooming
  • Herbs
  • House calls
  • Illness or injury related to neglect
  • Ligament and knee conditions
  • Prescription food
  • Preventative care
  • Supplements and vitamins
  • Training
  • Treatment related to epidemics or pandemics

ASPCA Pet Insurance cost

The average price for ASPCA Pet Insurance complete coverage for one pet is $35/month. The cost increases or decreases based on your selection for annual limit, deductible and reimbursement percentage.

Annual deductible: Choose from $100, $250 or $500. The higher the deductible, the lower your monthly premium. However, the lower the premium, the more you’ll pay out of pocket per claim.

Reimbursement percentage: Choose from 70%, 80% or 90% reimbursement. This is the amount you receive back on your vet bill after paying your deductible.

Annual limit: Choose from $5,000, $10,000, $15,000, $20,000 or unlimited annual limits. This is the total amount ASPCA reimburses you per 12-month period.

Annual limitDeductibleReimbursementMonthly cost
$5,000 limit$50070%$25.66
$15,000 limit$25080%$45.21
Unlimited limit$10090%$75.96

ASPCA Pet Insurance FAQ

Does ASPCA Pet Insurance cover spaying?
Spaying and neutering are included under the preventative care add-on insurance option but is not covered under ASPCA’s standard Complete Coverage plan.
Does ASPCA Pet Insurance cover pre-existing conditions?
No. Pre-existing conditions are not covered under any of the ASPCA plans. However, certain hereditary conditions that develop later in life, like hip dysplasia and eye issues, are covered under the Complete Coverage plan.
Is there a waiting period with ASPCA Pet Insurance?
Yes. All policies have a 15-day waiting period before they go into effect.
Does ASPCA Pet Insurance have an app?
Yes. The ASPCA Pet Insurance app is called “My Pet Insurance,” and allows you to submit and track claims from anywhere.

Do we recommend ASPCA Pet Insurance?

Pet care can be expensive and rarely ever thought of until it is needed. A service like ASPCA’s Pet Insurance can help reduce the cost of an ill-timed vet emergency. With vet costs averaging between $200 - $400 a year, these bills can start to stack up. In the event your pet needs major surgery or emergency care, pet insurance can be the difference between getting your pet the care they need and being forced into tougher monetary decisions.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I decided a few years ago that I needed to get my Puggle a supplemental insurance for emergencies or things that happened outside of her Banfield plan as it seems like if she gets sick or injured it's outside of office hours and emergency service is expensive. Plus she's a Puggle and unfortunately her little bug eyes seem a bit prone to random surface scratches. I did a TON of research and thought I had picked the best company to go with but the one time I actually needed it, they were terrible to work with and rude. I ended up having to file a claim with the BBB to get results.

After hearing my experience (and being involved with it because they were appalled about the hoops they were making me jump through), my vets recommended ASPCA so I switched. The one time I called them I felt like I was calling a local place, not some call center. I have had no issues getting reimbursed for my claims - I put them in via the app, can see what's happening and get the money direct deposited. It's been a wonderful experience and I wish I had found them years ago. I can't say enough nice things about them - if you're remotely unhappy with your current or looking for your first, please save your time and get ASPCA.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I recommend ASPCA pet insurance to any and every pet owner. Their online platform is straight forward and user-friendly, customer service is always pleasant, efficient and resourceful. We have both our dogs on an insurance plan, Finnegan and Carter. Being that Finn is a french bulldog, the vet has nearly been a second home for us in his first year. We are at such ease with both Finn and Carter's current and future health, knowing that we have an amazing support system in our ASPCA family.

The ASPCA insurance team is quick with claims which we are extremely grateful for. Their rates are very affordable and fair in comparison to competitors, but for us, ASPCA brings more value to the table with the 360 experience. Luckily our visits have mainly revolved around allergy issues but again, their platform makes it incredibly convenient for us to navigate and utilize. We have experience with both submitting claims for reimbursements as well as estimates. Both have been extremely beneficial for us. Direct deposits are always efficient and speedy. I remember receiving a reimbursement over a holiday which was incredible. To anyone looking for a reliable pet insurance plan, rest assure you and your pets are in the right hands with ASPCA. HIGHLY recommend!

Original review: July 22, 2019

My horse sustained what would have been a life-ending injury had I not had ASPCA Pet Health Insurance. Instead, he has not only survived but he is anticipated to return to FULL ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE as an event horse. Coal is the absolute sweetest boy, with a huge personality and a loving nature. He is a horse who loves people, loves attention and whom I love with my whole heart. Coal had 2 hospital stays, major surgery, multiple rounds of regenerative therapy, x-rays, ultrasounds, emergency visits, a multitude of medications and it has all been covered with no hassle, the easiest claim submittal process in the industry and incredibly swift payout. Nearly all of my claim payouts have turned around in under 5 days, even surgery. Meaning, a direct deposit into my checking account so I'm not carrying a credit card balance.

I'm telling everyone I know about the outstanding service and coverage we've received and I'm happy to say I have had 3 friends with a total of six horses who are now covered, I'm so happy for them, knowing they too will have the opportunity to provide the care their horses need in a crisis. Every person I've spoken with at ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has been pleasant and responsive, I really just can't thank ASPCA Pet Health Insurance enough for allowing me to provide life-saving care to my best friend. Thank you.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance response

Hi Kelly,

We're so happy you chose ASPCA Pet Health Insurance to cover your horse! Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I am so very thankful for ASPCA Pet Insurance. The first year we only needed it for routine care, we didn’t even reach our $250 deductible amount for it to reimburse. The second year though, I was VERY THANKFUL we had it. We don’t have children, our dog is our family. She came down with a nasty UTI costing about $3500 over 4 months time. Our total cost after meeting the $250 annual deductible was only 10%, so about $575 total. That $3000 difference was the DIFFERENCE between having to make a hard decision—go into debt, or surrender our dog so she could get proper treatment. Without ASPCA, those would have been our options and neither was one I’d be able to forgive myself for.

I tell everyone I know to ADOPT, SPAY/NEUTER, and GET ASPCA PET INSURANCE! It’s called being a responsible pet lover. Our total annual cost is $660 in monthly payments plus $250 deductible before being compensated for 90% of covered costs. If there’s any chance you may spend $910 in a year or $1820 in two years (and so forth) consider pet insurance! The app is easy to use—snap a picture of your invoice and upload. Have your bank info on the app and receive reimbursement between 30-45 days from submittal. Thank you for keeping our furry family member safe, healthy, and with a family who loves her more than words.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance response

Hello Trista,

We're so happy you chose ASPCA Pet Health Insurance to cover your dog. Appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I researched 3 different companies that offered Pet Insurance, I choose ASPCA strictly on reimbursement percentage and deductible. I had no other information to go on, like Customer Service, Claims Process, Repayment Times, etc., I choose for the deal and hoped for the best. I have a 1 yr old Labradoodle, call it Devine intervention or just great timing on my part and fortunately the Policy took effect immediately because 2 days after signing up was her first foxtail in the ear. A week later was her 2nd foxtail and 3 days after that a branch pierced her rear inner thigh and broke off inside, 3 Vet visits within 2 weeks of getting the Policy. Submitting a Claim couldn’t be any easier, I was more worried about getting a cancellation notice by the time I submitted my 3rd one. But everything they said they offered was true, within 2 weeks of each individual claim I submitted the 90% I was reimbursed was directly deposited into my bank account.

They request 2 things at the original claim and not once was I asked for any further information, any further explanations, nothing, I wasn’t even expecting getting reimbursed as fast as I did. I had already paid for the cost of the Policy, my deductible, and was cash ahead within the first 2 weeks of getting the Insurance Policy with a call from ASCPA after my claims were processed making sure I was happy with everything and was there anything I would recommend they could improve. I will renew my Policy annually without question and tell any and all other pet owners that the Pet Insurance offered by ASPCA is bar none one of the best companies and products I’ve ever dealt with. If only my own Health Insurance could be so easy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ASPCA Pet Health Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

The platform is easy to utilize, even with just a smartphone. Reimbursements are timely and always accompanied by explanation of benefits so easy to understand. Receipts are simple to attach just using your cell phone camera. Different plans allow us to chose what’s most important to be covered and pricing is reasonable.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Once again, I am very pleased with ASPCA Pet Insurance. I took my cat for a follow-up visit to the vet, and the process to submit a claim was very user-friendly. The reimbursement was accurate and prompt, which I greatly appreciate. Thank you!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I chose $100 deductible and 90% coverage and couldn't be more happier with my choice. I've already submitted two claims that were paid within two weeks each. Great benefit coverage, easy claim submission, fast processing and payments. No surprised, no hidden fees. Highly recommend.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Dealing with ASPCA Pet Health Insurance was remarkably easy. I sent in the appropriate information and then followed the status of my claim online. When I had a question, I called and got friendly professional help from customer support. My claim was paid directly into my checking account. It was so important that ASPCA covered physical therapy and other types of rehab. It helped our little guy recover quickly and all services were paid. We are extremely glad we chose ASPCA and intend to stay with them throughout our dog's life.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I am extremely satisfied with the ASPCA pet insurance. I have pet insurance for my dog and cat. The customer service has been incredible. The claims are easy to complete and submit. I am very pleased with my choice of ASPCA for my pet insurance.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Company Information