ASPCA Pet Health Insurance

Compare Pet Insurance Providers

Research top Pet Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I've been getting monthly billed from these people. I don't own any pets. I've never signed up for anything from ASPCA! I called them (Donations & Membership: (800) 628-0028) and they couldn't find my information. You can charge me but you can't find my info? Get your business straight!

My 9 week old puppies got sick and I took him to emergency animal hospital at 62nd street and 1st ave, they told me I need to leave puppy there so they can help him but that will cost me 2500$ for nights. I couldn't do that because I don't have that money. Vet there told me to bring puppies to ASPCA. It will be much cheaper there. So tomorrow morning I went to ASPCA and they wanted to charge me more to save my little doggie. They told me 2500-3000$. Horrible. It's all about money and no humanity to help animals. Why they receiving donations if they wanna charge me more than private clinic. I'm so angry on them. Instead of saving animals they let them die if you can't pay.

Death of pet. Today the ASPCA hospital in Manhattan allowed my year-old pet cat to die of starvation because I could not pay their fees.

My dog had a stomach virus causing him to vomit and poop constantly to the point he was so dehydrated he could barely move. He had a fever of 103 and had to be put on special food and medication. They linked this to puppy poops from puppy food he had from his puppy exam when I first got him several months prior. These people will do everything in their power not to help you. DO NOT pick them for insurance. They will ** you when you need them most.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I received a call from Jeff, a supervisor at ASPCA Insurance Claims department. He mentioned that the department has re-opened the claim and found out I had the coverage and they will pay for some of the services. I have not received the check, but whatever the amount, I consider it a positive step and a resolution.

obaid of San Ramon, CA on

Original Review

I have been with ASPCA Pet Insurance for 9 years. I luckily, my pet has been in a very good health and I have not had many claims with the company. Recently, my pet, Benzi, was a little lethargic and decided to check him up. The vet recommended a blood panel and urine analysis. Since Benzi had a blood test 18 months ago, ASPCA is refusing to pay for this year test. They want a proof that Benzi had a treatment since last year. I mentioned to them that there was nothing wrong to have a treatment, but they still refuse and asking for getting a statement from the vet, filing an appeal with a letter etc...etc...ASPCA is a bad company to deal with. Looking for another insurance...Wasted 9 years paying them. Do not recommend this company at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ASPCA Pet Health Insurance?

Save your money and self-insure!! They deny most claims or pay very little. If you go to the vet close to the end of your policy year and then must either go back to your vet or go to a specialist after a new policy year has started they will not cover the visit or the medicines as they consider it pre-existing condition. I am now paying $100 per month and they would not cover the specialist recommended by my vet because a new policy year started the week before my specialist appointment.

My dog was diagnosed with cancer in December 2015. Her policy renewed in January. Because her diagnosis was at the end of her 2015 policy, they are refusing to pay for any claim regarding her cancer in the new policy in 2016. Including her pain medication. I pay $57.00 a month for her policy, from what I thought was a caring, humane organization??? I will be bringing this into the light of all consumers, media, and anyone I can reach by phone, email or letter. I consider this inhumane treatment of an animal and it will not go unnoticed as my pet is family and there isn't anything I wouldn't do for her.

My 15-year old cat Ashley was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism last May 2015. He has been having blood work every few months. ASPCA insurance paid a portion of both bills. I renewed my policy in December 2015 and now ASPCA says they will not cover any of Ashley's thyroidism bills because he was not cured and not "incident free" for 180 days. A hyperthyroid cat is never "cured" unless they have the radioactive iodine treatment. They need constant monitoring of their blood. Save your money! Put aside money you would pay to pet insurance companies. Then they arbitrarily decide that what your vet charges is too much. I will NEVER recommend this company. The ASPCA should be embarrassed to have their good name associated with this awful company.

I have four dogs. As in the past I have always had pet insurance to offset veterinary bills. I had ASPCA for three and a half years on all my dogs. I had two claims for teeth extractions. ASPCA denied both claims for the two dogs citing they would not accept the manner in which the vet wrote up the invoice for services. When I appealed they denied the claim citing it did not fall into the category they allowed.

In 2015 I had to bring the dog to the vet to remove a cyst. The bill was paid and I submitted a claim for $570.00. Mind you I had the insurance policy in effect for into the fourth year. ASPCA denied the citing it was a pre-existing condition. I immediately canceled all policies and requested my credit card company to stop past and current payments. I just paid $1780.00 to renew the polices. ASPCA will do anything to deny claims. Read all the reviews you will see. Also read YELP reviews. For YELP type in Massollon OHIO for the location of their headquarters.

I signed my 12 year old dog up for pet insurance after realizing how expensive things can get as he gets older. He had a reoccurring spinal issue which I understood from my previous scam Trupanion that could not be covered. I talked to Jason at ASPCA in September of 2015 and he was kind and made me feel he actually cared about my pet but kept pushing for me to sign up my puppy and I said that I didn't want to pay thousands of dollars for a dog who isn't going to need insurance for a long while unless he got hit by a car which I would never let happen.

I filed a claim in January 2016 regarding Buckeye my 12 year old who received tests to see if he had Cushing's Disease. It came back positive and I filed a claim that was accepted and a check sent. I was so relieved because if we were to choose to treat Cushing's it can be very expensive. I then received a phone call saying a mistake has been made and the claim is actually ineligible because he showed symptoms of Cushing's in June 2015. The check was cancelled.

If anyone knows about Cushings, the symptoms he supposedly had were panting and drinking water, what dog doesn't do that??? This ASPCA are the worst people out there. They prey on people who love their pets like family and would do anything for them but they have no intention of ever paying any claim unless you have been paying for 10 years for your puppy and by then you could have paid the costs of any test, medications or surgeries 10x over. THEY WOULD RATHER YOUR PET DIE THAN PAY YOU ANYTHING!!! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY OR ANY OTHER PLEASE! Bridget ** (a very hurt and angry animal lover.)

Refused to pay for my Dachshund's back surgery claiming it was congenital. Definition of congenital – born with or before birth. He's 10 years old, never having a back problem. They have their sales people tell you all lies and then they take your money and find ways not to pay. Someone should shut them down. Read all the complaints here and on Yelp! STAY AWAY. BEWARE!!!

I secured ASPCA pet insurance for my English bulldog since he was a puppy. (2007) Original the premium was $54 per month. His policy was Level 3 with $100 annual deductible 20% co-payment. I had a few claims for him during the first years. Everything was ok. His premium went up in a few years $65.76. A few more claims, did not get reimbursed 80%. Come to find out ASPCA Insurance would only 80% of "customary charges". I calculated over the years and this company really only pays on average 65%. Note that's... After your deductible and after your monthly expense out of your pocket.

Now I considered canceling but my dog is getting older... So naturally I thought now is the time I really need insurance. Buyer beware. If your pet has a condition and even if he is insured with ASPCA insurance once the policy is "renewed" they consider it a "pre-existing condition". I only found this out today following up on a claim filed in November. Buyer Beware!! Deceptive Practice!! This totally outrageous!!

This insurance did not cover any sort of illness for my dog. It was not helpful at all, and I feel that my money was completely wasted. Upon purchasing the insurance they gave me the impression that I would be reimbursed 80% for my vet bills with some exclusions on what type of vet service it was - it made sense that they would not cover vaccinations or preexisting conditions. My dog has been ill twice since I've had the insurance and neither of those bills were reimbursed by the insurance. The policy was not made clear and you have to read the fine print to really know what you're paying for, which isn't much. Basically, what this policy does cover sounds great when they explain it to you, but there are so many things that it doesn't cover.

I have had both my Chihuahuas insured with A.S.P.C.A. since 2007. They were 5 years old at the time and neither of them had any medical issues or pre-existing conditions. The very first claim I made was the same year for one of my dogs who became violently ill after eating something she found in my yard. She was going into shock and I rushed her to the ER in the middle of the night. She almost died, and ASPCA denied the claim. It was stated in the denial that it was not covered because my dog had a behavior problem. WHAT?? My dog does not have any behavior problems, it turns out she may have eaten a snail that was poisoned from my neighbor's yard, but I never knew for sure what it was she ate.

Later on that year, my same dog developed an allergy in her paws, probably from grass. ASPCA paid less than 1/4 of the cost for her medications saying that it was a fair and reasonable reimbursement. She continued to have allergy problems on and off, and they never reimbursed me what I paid for the exam or the meds. In 2009, ASPCA sent me a new endorsement that they were enforcing, and called it "Continuing Care." It was sent to me along with my policy renewal. It was explained to me that if I wanted my dog to have continuing care for any long term illness like allergies, that I would now have to pay an additional fee for the coverage, and it would have a separate $100.00 deductible.

I felt like I had no choice but to purchase the additional endorsement because dog allergies very rarely go away, and I knew my girl was going to need meds, probably the rest of her life. Since I purchased the endorsement they have denied every claim I have submitted for my dog's allergies. Their reason is because my dog had allergies prior to the endorsement. UNBELIEVABLE, HOW CAN THAT BE???

In May of this year, I had to bring her to the vet for an ear infection, it had nothing to do with allergies. They denied that on the basis that it was due to allergies, a pre-existing condition. I argued and told them that it was due to a fungal infection, not allergies and asked to speak to a superior. He refused to let me talk to anyone but him and it was like beating a dead horse. I am going to appeal every claim they have ever denied. This is not legal what they are doing and I am really hoping that someone files a class action suit against them. I'd do it myself, but wouldn't know where to start. They're scam artist and are taking advantage of a lot of people.

Where do I start. I was excited when my company told me they partnered with the "best of the best" for pet insurance. Boy, they really got that WRONG! I started paying for my pet insurance April of 2014. I am VERY fortunate that until August of 2015, I had no health issues with my boys. Nonetheless, I continued to pay month after month for TWO insurance plans for each of my babies. Now, come August. My baby Scooby needs to go to the vet. I'll spare the details, luckily, he is OK. Had vet fax over paperwork. Again, FIRST CLAIM IN MORE THAN A YEAR. Done. Now, cat and mouse game. For 3 weeks they tell me that they're not getting the "invoice" which shows I paid. I sent it 2 times, emailed it, and had my vet send it 2 more times too! Still, they were not getting it. Fed up, I decided to email the dog's medical records again.

Putting the invoice smack in the middle of it. Guess what? They got page 1-3, 5-7. But what about page 4? You know... the invoice. They "never got it". When I emailed them telling them I did this, miraculously within 5 days my claim was processed. Guess what?!?! THEY ARE COVERING $0.00!!! THAT'S RIGHT! After being told before taking my dog to the ER they would cover "most" (my bad for not getting exact numbers, as my dogs health was more important and still remains as so) THEY ARE NOT COVERING A PENNY. NOT A PENNY! So, more than a year of $200 per month, equates to them giving zero ** and having a nice payment from me monthly for nothing. DO NOT TAKE A CHANCE.

THIS COMPANY DESERVES THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS! I was promised that I would be reimbursed 90% of my veterinary bills when my dog was hit by a car. After the expected deductible, I was only reimbursed $1,350.00 of a $2,400.00 bill! When I asked why the amount reimbursed was so low, I was told "you are not reimbursed on the actual bill amount, you are reimbursed on something called USUAL & CUSTOMARY charges... the amount we deem as a fair amount for each portion of the pet's treatment"! What? I was told it was going to be 90% of the actual bill. I was then told "I know you are disappointed but you should have had a policy prior to this year... The reimbursements were even lower!" Shame on them :(

I cannot fault anyone on Staff for ASPCA. However their medical policies are misleading, to say the very least. After 17 months of membership with Sushi, my Shiba Inu, my veterinarian prepared a claim and fully detailed the entire reasons for the claim. Their first response was "not detailed sufficiently." Again, and with additional visits to the Vet added since this was NOT a wellness situation, the claim was denied. I had, at that time, had enough. I spoke with my vet and we agreed that ASPCA would no longer be recommended at their clinic. I am sorry to have to do a negative review since I have always respected the ASPCA program for assisting needy animals -- guess that is why I chose the pet program with the same name. Not so, and again, I am a reasonable, not negative person. Shame on the ASPCA Pet Insurance. They demean the real ASPCA with their policies for pet insurance and claims.

My dog Dakota is 13 years old. He has been with ASPCA insurance since 2008. Dakota has developed a heart condition. After taking him to the vet to get treatment I submitted the claim to them. They refused to pay saying that he had been diagnosed with the illness prior to the current billing cycle. This is not true since Dakota has been under ASPCA pet insurance since 2008 and he was originally diagnosed 2013. ASPCA misrepresents itself. I have never had them pay for anything for the animals that have been under the policy. They are quick to take money yet they always have a new excuse not to pay. I have seen many other complaints against them. Maybe a class action suit is in order.

I bought this policy (94.00), continuing care included and I took my cat for a check up since he was sneezing and paid 281.00. I took him for another visit, paid 46.00 and a third for 137.00. Long story short the policy does not clarify the addendum that nothing will be covered until you have the policy for two billing cycles. ASPCA is misrepresenting its product, fraudulently collecting premiums from consumers with the full discretion that they won't reimburse the consumer, falsely advertising its insurance policies. Time for a class action lawsuit against this fraudulent company.

I took my 7 months puppy to the ASPCA cause wasn't eating and I was charge 40 dollars just to sit in the waiting room for hours, then 40 more dollars for the doctor to see him, and 80 for x-rays... he swallow his dog tag and collar then I was told they couldn't do anything and to feed him. Wow... the private vet office help me more than ASPCA. Since I don't have 4000 dollars for surgery, they gave me tips on what to do. Thanks to the tips, my dog is eating well and doing poop normally but still has the tag and collar in him. Hopefully, he will ** it out. My dog would die cause of ASPCA. No help at all, just want money. They rather have you lose the dog instead of giving to tips on what to do. That's messed up.

I understand that the human world is not the same as an animal but humans go to hospitals and get treated, then you get a bill later. Why can't they do the same for animals? My dog cost me $5000 and was done in payments and he's fully paid for already... somebody has to do something about animal hospital and the way they work with people cause if you kill an animal, you get jail time. And that's what they do if you don't have $$$ for treatment. It's crazy. This is America, not a third world country...

Last year I lost my best friend because I could not afford the kidney treatment he so urgently needed. I am still heart broken over it. I do have a new, almost 11 months old cat now and I would hate to not be able to have medical help for her when needed. I am on social security and have to shop around for pet insurance. I have looked at several, but am confused on their reliability. When I came across ASPCA, my first thought was that this is a good one. I mean, they do so much to help animals and so many friends of mine support them with donations. After reading these reviews I am saddened by them. Now I have to wonder just how helpful they really are. More looking for insurance ahead of me. Thank you all for your honest comments.

I submitted a claim for my small dog, who got hurt while running and his left hind leg hit a hole and he hurt his knee and had to have surgery. Our bill was $2,365.62. My policy was $500 deductible with a 90% coverage by the insurance. They decided to put a label of congenital disorder and only covered $500 which is my deductible.

After years or ridiculous increases; I called and they said that my dog had reached the age where they were not going to raise my monthly charge anymore. Then months later they did raise it by 20%!!! I called and they said it was because of a "State Approved Increase" - on an Elected coverage, that I now cannot opt out of, and have never used. Now that my dog is 13, I have dental coverage?? What about the money I already spent? I said I thought I was "grandfathered in" like I was told on the phone, but they apologized and asked if I wanted to terminate the policy. SCAMMERS! There will always be increases! They are worst than the Cable Company.

I have had ASPCA Pet Insurance since 2008. I have had automatic payments to cover the policy which has never lapsed. In 2012, I had a claim that was denied because I was told I did not ask for an endorsement called "Continuing Care". I had no idea I needed to "ask" for anything as my policies always just auto-renewed. This "Continuing Care" allows illnesses from previous years to be covered again. In the past, they thought my cat had asthma so of course I wanted this endorsement in case anything happened in the future.

Last month my cat was having breathing problems and the vet couldn't say if it was allergies or asthma without many more tests. She was treated with over the counter allergy medicine and improved but I indicated it could be asthma or allergies. My claim came back and said they would not cover the costs because she had been diagnosed with asthma before I got the continuing care coverage. BUT WAIT - the coverage says if you haven't been treated in 180 days, they would cover. Now ASPCA is saying that asthma isn't "curable" therefore the 180 day limit only applies if the animal was "cured". Are you kidding me??? I have been paying $341 per year and now they are trying to find every trick in the book to avoid paying. I asked that they pull the actual recording from 2012 to review the call because this was not explained. If it had been, I would have dropped coverage.

I have had pet insurance since the late 80's and have always had my pets covered. I've used VPI, Pet's Best, GoPetPlan and ASPCA. ASPCA by far is the biggest scam!!! People need to know how bad this is and I plan to post on every website and on Facebook.

In July 2014 our dog Mindy was scared by fireworks and jumped off couch and hurt her back. We took her to vet, he referred us to surgeon. Mindy needed emergency surgery. We had accident insurance - claim was denied because insurance co stated it is a condition in her breed called ivdd. We have letters from vet and surgeon stating it was caused by trauma secondary to ivdd. Cost 7000 - policy should cover 4000. Claim denied. We plan on still pursuing this claim denial.

My dog Bo 3 years old needed surgery and it was very expensive. I did not expect to have it all paid but at least part of it. None!! I get phone calls from them that are at all times of the day including at night when I am in bed. A call at 3 P.M. said we will call back in a few hours regarding your claim. That never happens. They operate on a delay and don't pay program. I have a great grandson-in-law in Ohio who is an attorney and today hope to get him to take ASPCA Pet Insurance to court for all of us!!

My baby, a Chinese Crested, had a skin rash when I first got him. I submitted the claim and was never reimbursed. I've submitted quite a few claims and have not been reimbursed. When I called, they gave me a litany of excuses as to why I was not reimbursed. They told me that since the rash occurred within 30 days of my signing up for insurance, it was considered a pre-existing condition and would therefore not be covered now or in the future. I knew nothing about this 30 day period. They gloss over it and don't explain it thoroughly on purpose. Chinese Cresteds are notorious for skin problems, so for the rest of my baby's life, when he gets a rash and needs medicine, ASPCA will not cover it. There has got to be something we can do. It's disgusting. They're basically saying - if your pet gets ill on day 2 of the 30 days, you must wait and not get treatment until the 30 days are up. It's basically animal cruelty and they should have to answer for this. We must do something about this. I am livid. These are our pets. They are our family.

I have used ASPCA Pet Insurance for many years. During the last 2 years, they have grown much larger and are even now moving in to a bigger building to handle the larger volume of workload. They recently closed out a claim after only having it open for less than 30 days due to lack of documentation from the Vets involved. This was over Christmas and I even asked them to wait until after Christmas to give people time to respond. I was not consulted any longer, they just closed out the claim. I know now they were just trying to get rid of back log and old claims so they would not have to bother with them.

Like I said, they are getting too big to handle the workload. I had to call and request they reopen the claim and I was able to get the documentation from the other 2 Vets. They then only paid $6 on a $1500 bill because it was a 'continuing' problem over a plan period. I have proof that it was a different problem. aka, the skin bacteria problem was cured but then she got a skin lymphoma - skin cancer. They refused to pay for the skin cancer, the biopsies, etc because it was the same problem.

I am ashamed to say that I have been recommending ASPCA pet insurance for years to everyone who would listen. They used to be very responsive, they paid every claim like it was not their own money - legitimate claims - not inappropriate ones. I have never had so many problems as I have had the last 2 years. I am going to cancel my insurance on all of my dogs - I still have 4 left and will be looking for a more reliable, reputable, and honest company. Shame on them.

I called up ASPCA pet insurance because my dog needed to have surgery for a ear hematoma. I asked the lady before I signed up if this would be covered so that I can submit a claim after the surgery. Of course she said yes and even convinced me to sign up my 2 other dogs. So now I had all 3 dogs signed up and paid 2 monthly payments. I signed up around Nov 17, 2014 and my dog's surgery was on Nov 24, 2014. So I went ahead and sent out the claim form for my bill of $740.00. After 3 weeks, I was informed that my claim was denied because I had to wait 30 days in order to be eligible to receive reimbursement. I was so upset because I was never told that information before I signed up. If I was informed of this, then I would have never bothered to sign up. This is a total scam to me and I would not recommend any of my friends or family to ASPCA pet insurance. I since then cancelled my membership and looking for another reputable insurance company for my dogs.

My dog is currently suffering from some sort of eye infection that has been going on now for almost 2 months. Total bills so far have racked up to almost $3k out of pocket and she has yet to see the eye specialist which is up next. Unfortunately for me, her injury first surfaced 10 days prior to the annual renewal of her insurance plan. Being a good owner I chose to seek treatment. The first visit was just $200, but the very next visit (just 1 day after her renewal) was a whopping $900. Unfortunately the way the brilliant minds at this 'For Profit' company wrote the policy, they can't cover the $900 or anything that follows b/c this is now a pre-existing condition. Not that it was chronic, nor hereditary, simply that b/c it surfaced 10 days prior to renewal that it is now 'pre-existing'. I give these people money why exactly?

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance is a pet insurance company that offers health insurance through Hartville Pet Insurance Group. This division of the company was founded in 2006.

• Wide variety of vet options: ASPCA Pet Health Insurance covers services from all licensed vets in Canada and the U.S., meaning pet owners can choose from a wide variety of vets.
  • Money back guarantee: The company allows customers to try the company with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
  • Easy claim filing: Pet owners can file claims with the company's one-page filing system.
  • Multiple pet discounts: ASPCA Pet Health Insurance offers 10 percent discounts for pet owners with multiple eligible pets they choose to cover.
  • Online claim tracking: Pet owners can simply track the status of filed claims via the tracking services offer on the ASPCA's website.
  • Best for Pet owners with multiple pets, pet owners with cats and dogs and pet owners with a loyalty to a vet.

Compare Pet Insurance