4.55/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance understands that your pets are an important part of your family, but vet bills are often costly and unexpected. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance gives you the peace of mind that you will be able to give your pet the care they need when they need it without the burden of a large vet bill hanging over your head. The process is simple and convenient and your reimbursement can cover up to 90% of your covered bill. Call today to get the best coverage for your pet.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

498 ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I researched 3 different companies that offered Pet Insurance, I choose ASPCA strictly on reimbursement percentage and deductible. I had no other information to go on, like Customer Service, Claims Process, Repayment Times, etc., I choose for the deal and hoped for the best. I have a 1 yr old Labradoodle, call it Devine intervention or just great timing on my part and fortunately the Policy took effect immediately because 2 days after signing up was her first foxtail in the ear. A week later was her 2nd foxtail and 3 days after that a branch pierced her rear inner thigh and broke off inside, 3 Vet visits within 2 weeks of getting the Policy. Submitting a Claim couldn’t be any easier, I was more worried about getting a cancellation notice by the time I submitted my 3rd one. But everything they said they offered was true, within 2 weeks of each individual claim I submitted the 90% I was reimbursed was directly deposited into my bank account.

They request 2 things at the original claim and not once was I asked for any further information, any further explanations, nothing, I wasn’t even expecting getting reimbursed as fast as I did. I had already paid for the cost of the Policy, my deductible, and was cash ahead within the first 2 weeks of getting the Insurance Policy with a call from ASCPA after my claims were processed making sure I was happy with everything and was there anything I would recommend they could improve. I will renew my Policy annually without question and tell any and all other pet owners that the Pet Insurance offered by ASPCA is bar none one of the best companies and products I’ve ever dealt with. If only my own Health Insurance could be so easy.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I really am not sure what to put down except that in all my years (I am 70) I have never worked with or experienced such amazing and professional, yet compassionate and human behavior from an insurance company! Every one of the folks that are involved with your company should be given a raise and praised!!! We had a beautiful little fur baby named Romeo who was 12 years old when he was diagnosed with diabetes. He incurred several life threatening illnesses and by the grace of God and our wonderful veterinarian we were able to keep him with us for an additional year. Finally, the disease took over and he crossed the rainbow bridge on September 13, 2018.

Through that year our expenses grew exponentially and because of the wonderful insurance your company provided we were able to remain stable. We are retired and it is very hard to incur expenses that are not budgeted. We have nothing but thanks and praise for your organization and if and when we ever decide to become human parents for another beautiful fur baby, you will once again have us as loyal customers. I encourage anyone who would like more information on your program to contact me if they want. With all our love and thanks for loving our Romeo as much as we did, and still do, thank you and Merry Christmas to your entire staff!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My dog has been acutely paralyzed from a grooming/nail grinding session at Petsmart with unknown cause, in which the groomer apparently denied hurting my beloved pet, and no cameras per manager to prove the incident. I have been taking my dog for holistic care such as acupuncture, physical therapy and cold laser which helped tremendously since my dog can now walk, jump up the stairs and run again! It's a miracle indeed, no one would know he was briefly paralyzed with no feeling from the waist down!

Physical rehabilitation for dogs is not cheap, which could have left a huge hole in my pocket if I had not gotten this insurance which paid for 80% of vet bills, they even reimbursed vitamins, dog food and harness related to my dog’s medical condition which was awesome and customer service was fantastic. Everybody were so friendly, easy to talk to, follows up my case and left voicemail for updates and just seemed concerned about my dog, asking how he is doing which means so much especially carrying the hopeless feeling I had to go through for a while due to fear of my dog’s quality of life and possibly not being able to walk again, since the neurosurgeon who assessed my dog told me his prognosis was poor and even with $8,000 surgery, his chance of walking was only 5%.

I mean why would I had to let my dog suffer unnecessarily from invasive surgery if the chance he has is quite grim? I am sooo glad I tried the non-surgical route and have been consistently bringing my dog to pet rehabilitation, not only was it's so much cheaper compared to surgery but also less risky/invasive. Thank you again ASPCA, I certainly made the right choice to get this insurance for my pet’s health.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I filed a claim for surgery performed on our dog Mambo on 11/2/2018. The surgery was to remove stones in his bladder. The claim was denied as pre-existing. My policy states: "A condition will no longer be considered pre-existing if your pet's condition has been cured and free from treatment and symptoms for a period of 180 days". Our dog has no other medical history for the last 12 months, which his medical records show. Our vet has provided the following letter to the insurance company: "12y MN Havanese, has been under our care here at ** Veterinary Clinic since September 2017. He presented for inappropriate urination signs, and during workup it was found that he had urocystoliths. We performed a cystotomy 9/23/17, with a stone analysis which was consistent with Calcium Oxalate uroliths.

"The Hills C/D diet was prescribed for the first time post-operatively (again, 9/23/17). Ms. ** refilled this food several times from 9/2017 thru 10/2018. During this time, Mambo had no clinical signs of urinary disease at home. He was seen for a routine vaccination visit on 6/8/2018 and no clinical signs of urinary disease were noted. He came in for his annual exam and lab work on 10/30/18 and still reported no clinical signs of urinary disease. However, on his urinalysis we noted hematuria and crystalluria and recommended abdominal x-rays. A second cystotomy followed on 11/2/18. I hope these details help clarify the timeline so that Ms. ** claim can be processed fairly.

"Please call me with any additional questions or if medical records are required." Our vet furthered with: "Regarding our patient **, his Hill's Prescription Diet earlier this year was not prescribed for urocystolith dissolution. Please feel free to contact us for more information if required." Seems irreconcilable to me that the Vet says we meet the condition, and the insurance company knows better???

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

My husband & I adopted the most adorable St. Bernard puppy in May, 2018, he was 3 mos old when we brought him home, we named him Ziggy. Unbeknownst to us Ziggy's fun, carefree life would be quickly interrupted at the age of 5 mos. He came down with some unknown illness that first presented as lameness and quickly morphed into bacterial infection throughout his little body to the point where he was in severe distress. From mid-July to early August our days were spent taking Zigg back to emergency vet hospital (he was hospitalized 3 separate times) and each time still the Vets were not sure he would survive this ordeal. Primarily because he was a puppy and his immune system not fully developed. We had many scary sad nights, but throughout it our Vets never gave up hope they would find what was wrong with Zigg.

Happily today, Zigg has been home (for more than a month) and is well on his way to recovering. His diagnosis finally came that he had the dog version of MRSA (serious bacterial infections). Through all of this, we never once lost any sleep on how we were going to pay for Zigg's care. We found out luckily, that the breeder we adopted Zigg from had never canceled his ASPCA Pet Insurance. His coverage was for accidents/injury and paying up to 90% of bills. Submitting my claims for reimbursement was one of the easiest things I have ever done (too bad human health insurance isn't this simple). Went to the website, uploaded receipts, doctor's reports. ASPCA representatives emailed me immediately stating claims were received, and kept me informed of how they were progressing. ASPCA reps contacted the Vet directly, I did not have to be an intermediary.

My first set of claims were reimbursed (at 90%) within 2 weeks of submission, my 2nd set within 1 week. I cannot stress enough the fact that we were dealing with life threatening issues with our baby boy was beyond stressful. NOT having to have to worry about how we were going to pay for his care was beyond a miracle. Going thru what we have with Zigg, I realized I needed to get coverage for my 2 older dogs, Clay & Finn (Golden Retrievers - 8 & 5 years of age). Now I know I will never worry about caring for their medical needs in the future. If it ever occurs again, I know ASPCA will handle everything for us and all we have to do is focus on getting our babies well.

And on a separate note, whenever I did call ASPCA with questions or concerns, their very first question upon identifying me was "How is Ziggy?". It was incredible to have such care and concern with a representative whose job (really is to sell insurance). But the folks on the phone were truly caring and were concerned and you could feel it, it was not at all insincere. And even now almost a month since my last submission they were calling to follow up and see how Ziggy was doing, it was like talking to friends. I know there are many people who do not understand the connection we have with our pets, they are our family and to many of us "our children". And like any parent we love talking about our child, the folks at ASPCA understand this and are happy to hear our stories.

Hello Maria,

Thanks for leaving us a review. We are happy to hear that we have been able to help. Please give Ziggy some extra belly rubs from us today.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ASPCA Pet Health Insurance?

Original review: June 22, 2019

I appreciated when ASPCA took a second look at a claim I filed which they originally misclassified and, therefore, did not pay completely. After I reaffirmed the facts and circumstances of my dog's treatment, they reprocessed the claim reasonably quickly and then issued payment. They were very attentive to my appeal and follow-up in the process. I withhold one star because, based on the information first provided, it should have been paid fully the first time.

Original review: June 22, 2019

Overall it is very easy to file claims as long as you have the receipts for all services. I just wish the deductible was a bit lower and that pre-existing conditions were covered by our plan—this is something I really think should change. However, it still helps us so much to have this insurance plan.

Original review: June 22, 2019

I highly recommend ASPCA pet insurance and will use them again in the future. They have been incredible while my beloved cat was sick and unfortunately passed. When I submitted the claim for her euthanasia ASPCA pet insurance customer care rep called me to express their deepest condolences and it was followed with a personalized card. They even cancelled my coverage for me so it was one less thing I had to think about. Truly a wonderful experience. Everything was always easy and simply with submitting claims and understanding our benefits.

Original review: June 22, 2019

Putting in a claim could not easier. Currently waiting for it to be processed, it should be paid once they check with the vet and get the further info they need. Filed the claim through email, and got a response right away that it would be sent to process. Got another response that it was being processed.

Original review: June 22, 2019

Employees at ASPCA Pet Insurance are kind and helpful. They are quick to process claims or answer any questions. We are always reassured when our two dogs are sick or injured that ASPCA Pet Insurance will be there to help us through the difficult time.

Original review: June 22, 2019

It was perfect, amazing service, they even called me when my Schatzi passed away and sent me a card, they are the best, payment was very fast, filling forms very easy as well as submission. I can only highly recommend ASPCA.

Original review: June 22, 2019

It is a good deal for the most part. It covers a lot of expenses a pet owner has. It is really good for smaller dogs. I would recommend it to people. It has helped me. I continue to renew my plan on a regular basis.

Original review: June 22, 2019

ASPCA insurance was the best investment I have ever made. My dog got very sick and her bills have hit around $7000 to $8000 in less than 1 week. The staff at ASPCA were very supportive and expedited my claims. The insurance has covered 90% of the costs, which will help cover the continued costs that are still coming. I would recommend and have recommended them to everyone I know.

Original review: June 15, 2019

The representatives that I spoke with are extremely friendly and professional. They are very Helpful in answering my questions promptly. The coverage is good and we will continue to purchase ASPCA Pet Health insurance for our dog for many years. Thanks! Sincerely. Nancy

Original review: June 8, 2019

ASPCA has lots of options and was very prompt with dealing with claims. Helpful and kind when I had to put my cat to sleep. Online format is easy and the people on the phone were knowledgeable when I called with questions regarding coverage.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I have only had wonderful experiences with ASPCA Pet Health Insurance. I got coverage for my dog when he was a puppy, and after many unexpected injuries and illnesses, I have always been able to rely on ASPCA! Their claims process is easy to complete online, they are extremely fast in assessing and processing claims and making payments. Their monthly pricing is fair and their terms are clear. I have even gotten check-in calls to see how my little pup is doing. Thanks ASPCA, I don't know what I'd do without you!

Original review: June 6, 2019

I have been very happy with ASPCA. Every claim has been processed and directly deposited into my bank account. During the time I was investigating which pet insurance to get, I read many problems people had with getting their claims paid. That has not been the case with ASPCA. I would highly recommend.

Original review: June 6, 2019

The insurance helps when an accident happens and also helps with some of the cost for wellness care. But if you have a larger breed with larger doses of meds (flea/tic, etc), you will max out the coverage, and if your vet charges more than customary for their services, you will end up getting paid for normal charges and footing the excess your self. I believe the plan assumes you have a 20 pound dog, that is what it seems.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I have had the best experience with this company. Online portal is clean, simple and easy to navigate. Automation is excellent and customer service is great too. I have been reimbursed quickly and easily each time I have needed to. Very happy customer.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I have only turned in 3 claims so far. The first claim was quick and easy. I am expecting the next two to be just as easy. It is our first experience with pet insurance. I hope it continues to be a positive experience.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Great insurance. I would have had a lot more expenses I was unprepared for with my puppy if I did not have this insurance. It has been totally worth it and I recommend to everyone I know! Enrollment was easy and claims process is easy and pain free as well.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I have received quick and helpful information every time I've called. I paid the one year cost up front, and happened to have needed claims in the 11th month. It was very easy to submit, and after the deductible, I was easily reimbursed for costs. I bought the $500 deductible, then 80% coverage up to $15,000/year, but there are many options to choose from!

Hi Jamie,

We're so happy you chose ASPCA Pet Health Insurance to cover your pets.

Original review: June 5, 2019

The staff was very helpful and friendly and kind and concerned when my dog became ill and if it wasnt for the insurance I could not afford his treatment. I have been telling all my friends that they need to get ins. on their pets.

Hi Alyce,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. Please give your dog some extra belly rubs from us today!

Original review: June 5, 2019

When I have needed to make a claim it is easy. Has saved me money when I had a sick pup. On the rare occasion when I’ve needed assistance, they have promptly answered my call and are very professional. I’m so glad I have pet insurance through ASPCA!

Hi John,

Thank you for leaving us a review. Please give your pups some extra belly rubs from us today!

Original review: June 4, 2019

Really an amazing, compassionate and helpful company. Have three pets, two cats one dog, and decided to get insurance due to such expensive vet costs. Have used our insurance a lot and could not be happier. Easy to use online and very nice customer service. Would definitely recommend if you are looking for pet insurance.

Hi Kathleen,

We're so happy you chose ASPCA Pet Health Insurance to cover your two cats and dog.

Original review: June 4, 2019

ASPCA pet insurance has been so easy to use and navigate and they are always so nice when I have a question or need help. ASPCA has given me such great customer service and I am very happy with the company. I would definitely recommend them to a friend!

Hello Taylor,

Thank you for leaving us a review. We are happy to hear about your experience.

Original review: June 4, 2019

After having dogs all my life, ASPCA Insurance has been my very first experience with pet insurance. I didn't see the value back when pet insurance first became a "thing", but then I had a Lab that had 2 ACL surgeries and many allergies... and we didn't have pet insurance! So we called him the Million Dollar Dog! We recently got a puppy and I immediately researched pet insurance policies and found ASPCA to be most comprehensive and a fair price.

So far, my experience has been great - ASPCA makes it easy to submit claims and they are very quick to process the claims. I selected the option to have credits deposited electronically to my bank, so it's a paperless, quick process overall and I have had no reason to call anyone to intervene in the process at all. Would definitely recommend ASPCA to anyone considering pet insurance for their fur baby!

Original review: June 4, 2019

ASPCA is priced competitively but they are fast at processing claims and so nice! The app makes the process very easy - love it! I wish human health insurance was this transparent and easy to understand. I highly recommend ASPCA.

Original review: June 4, 2019

They always get back to you fast! I’ve submitted two claims and I’ve been covered like promised! Whenever I call customer service is soo helpful! I love that they also offer a preventative care plan because a lot of other insurances don’t! I’m happy with the service & would recommend.

Original review: June 4, 2019

By far your company has the best customer service in the world. Both time I got off the phone, I had to tell someone how good of an experience it was. I have recommended this company to several friends and relatives. Keep doing amazing work!

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

With options for dogs and cats, this pet insurance company allows pet owners to visit any veterinarian in the U.S. and Canada. They have complete coverage and accident-only coverage options.

• No networks: Unlike other insurance companies, ASPCA doesn’t work inside a network, which means you can take your dog or cat to any vet in the U.S. and Canada. This can be especially helpful for people who like to travel with their pet.

• ASPCA claims: Claims can be submitted online, through the mobile app, by mail or by fax. You can choose to be reimbursed directly into your bank account, or you can have a check mailed to you.

• Complete Coverage: This insurance plan covers everything when your pet is hurt or ill, including accidents, sickness, hereditary conditions and even behavioral issues.

• Accident-only coverage: Accident-only coverage will cover exam fees, diagnostics and treatment for accidents.

• Multi-pet discount: Save 10% when you insure multiple pets with ASPCA pet insurance. Discounts are applied automatically.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky