4.33/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance understands that your pets are an important part of your family, but vet bills are often costly and unexpected. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance gives you the peace of mind that you will be able to give your pet the care they need when they need it without the burden of a large vet bill hanging over your head. The process is simple and convenient and your reimbursement can cover up to 90% of your covered bill. Call today to get the best coverage for your pet.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

349 ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Insured 2 cats and a dog through ASPCA Pet Health Insurance starting in May of 2015. Since then we have paid them a total of $4329.29 for the coverage. We have claimed a total of $1423.00 worth of services/illness etc in that time frame (May 2015 to Jan 2019). Of the amount claimed, ASPCA managed to nickle and dime down what was possible to reimburse, against any deductible they could locate, and have paid us a total of $92.71.

Hello Karl,

We’re sorry to hear you’re unhappy with your coverage. Please give us a call to discuss this matter further.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I submitted several claims over 8 days ago - no feedback. I'm curious as to the length of time required to evaluate and process claims? I have had several vet visits for my Border Collie and submitted all the claims and paperwork as required. If there is anything else needed please call me. Please advise.

Hi Brett,

We make every effort to process claims as quickly as possible and will update the status in the Member Center as your claim continues through review. We’d be happy to discuss your claims in further detail if you’d like to give us a call.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

My puppy had diarrhea initially before the policy kicked in. He was treated and fully recovered. I submitted 1 more claim for diarrhea 1 month after the 1st time. They refused to reimburse claiming it was a preexisting condition. Guess what? The diarrhea was caused by a different strain of bacteria. How can that possibly be preexisting? I can still understand if it keeps happening with the same strain again and again. But this was a completely different strain. Complete waste of money. I've cancelled my policy and will fight them on the charges.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Not happy with the turnaround time on claims. Some claims are not being reimbursed for almost 30 days. If it is a reoccurring medication I don’t understand why it takes so long. I use to be very happy with this insurance when I had my first girl Dakota, but lately I have looked at other companies for two of my pups.

Hi Maryann,

We’re sorry to hear you’re unhappy with your coverage. Please give us a call to discuss this matter further, 1-866-204-6764.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I'm spending a lot of time and money on my special needs dog and it seems slow to get my claim processed. Please try to speed up this process, it would make us all a lot happier. I know it's the holidays so I will give you a break for now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ASPCA Pet Health Insurance?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

You get really no insight into slow claim processing. It has been over 4 weeks for an insurance claim. Why does it take so long in a digital world. I e-mailed and got a canned response. Would be nice if we can get some specifics.

Hello Premodh,

We'd be happy to answer any questions you have about coverage for your pet. Please give us a call, 1-866-204-6764.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I am pleased with the customer service that I receive when I call for information in regards to claims. My only concern is the amount of time it takes from a claim being filed until reimbursement is received. For every claim that I have had to file, I had to do the legwork and follow up on it. Each claim needed additional information from either the vet office or the emergency vet hospital. If I didn't call and find out what the delay was in my claims - they wouldn't have been processed because additional information was needed. The additional information was immediately provided and it still took weeks for my first 2 claims to be processed.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Could work on processing and receiving payments faster. Sometimes takes a couple of weeks to a month to receive reimbursements. Had received an approval for a quote but submitted the final bill and a week later still waiting for payment.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

So far, I have been very happy with the service provided through ASPCA. The only mild complaint I do have, is that the turnaround time for claims, is a little long, in comparison to other insurance companies. But, I understand that you guys have a lot to evaluate. The other thing I have had very mild issue with is the fact that prescription diets are not covered unless they are treating a medical condition. I feel like that was not clearly explained when the company advertised that they cover the prescription diets. But those two things are very minor. I really have been super happy with my experiences from the start. The customer service has been very professional and helpful. The online website also is very easy to navigate and understand. I am overall satisfied with my choice for ASPCA insurance.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Archie sprained his knee playing with another dog and required a full day at the vet for diagnosis and treatment. The vet gave him some other supplements that were unrelated to the claim but I parsed it for the claim processing and received prompt and fair reimbursement for my poor little guy's injury. Thank you!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

They pay in a timely manner. We had no problems. Insurance covers all vet doctors, unlike PetSmart where you have to use their vet doctors. I just would just like a lesser deductible amount. Direct deposit is also very helpful.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

It would be a five star rating but the only thing Is the 6 to 8 week turnaround time for a claim to be paid especially when it is a regular medication that my dog takes daily. Otherwise very professional and down to earth and easy to deal with the representatives. I have recommended them to many of my friends for their pets.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Very easy to be refunded online: just submit the invoice and your checking account will be credited very fast. I did also the additional insurance and I am happy to have back the money for vaccinations and 100 dollars for teeth cleaning: I suggest to add it, it is very important to do regular visit to the vet.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I’ve had pet insurance for over 5 years and couldn’t be more pleased with the service. Having ASPCA Pet Insurance has allowed me to get the proper care for my pets without going broke in the process. I have and will continue to recommend ASPCA Per Insurance to my friends!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

ASPCA has been excellent handling our dog's claims. The insurance has been a blessing up to this point. I would recommend to people I talk to. The process filing claims is simple, and the website is easy to navigate. It's an easy process, and very timely on your end as well.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I didn't know anything about pet Insurance when I first started looking. My neighbor was the one who recommended ASPCA to me. I've been so very fortunate to have them in my corner! Everyone is extremely personable and helpful. It's an easy decision to stay with them because they have been truly wonderful and my cat Tez, if he could speak English, would also say thank you???

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

ASPCA Health Insurance delivered as promised! The Process was easy and the peace of mind invaluable! Used them twice this year and no worries. Friendly staff and reimbursement was speedy. Claim process was done online as soon as I returned home from my veterinarian's office. Thank you!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Really great service that I am considering increasing coverage. Easy to file and track. Would recommend to anyone with pets. They have not disappointed. If I get another pet I would happily add to policy. 5 stars.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

It's been a great decision to have accident and illness insurance for my 2 cats. No one wants or plans on scary medical tests recommended for a pet, but it helped immensely when it happened to one of my cats. But the processing time for claims can vary greatly; from a few days to over a month.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I'm a former VPI customer. I switched to ASPCA Insurance after several less than satisfactory experiences with VPI. ASPCA has provided great coverage and processed our claims in a reasonable/satisfactory time period. Insurance is something you don't want to use, but it's great peace of mind to know you have a great partner in ASPCA. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

After suffering thru Nationwide pet insurance we (even knowing we’d now have a pre existing condition) changed to you. Have never regretted making the change to you. Very happy, a lot more money and worth every penny. Customer service is great.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

It is sometimes annoying that I don't get reimbursed much for my cat's inhaler because I pay for insurance that covers sickness. Sometimes reimbursements take too long, too. But I guess the rest of the plan is fine.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

We signed up for the $100 deductible and $70 plan a month, which was totally worth it. Our puppy, Boba got really sick a few months ago and the bill would’ve been huge if we didn’t have insurance, but all we had to pay was $100 because of insurance. The insurance doesn’t cover preventative care like shots for puppies so we gladly paid that, but having such good insurance for emergencies like Boba went through is worth it. The only thing I have to also say is to be patient because it can take some time for your claim to complete so just be patient!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I would definitely recommend ASPCA to all my friends and family. They approved my dog's surgery right away and they paid the 90% within a week. Very happy with the whole thing! I switched from another company who always gave me a headache and their approval rate was ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I like that you can choose coverage amounts. I also like that there’s an app which is super convenient - when it’s working. Seems there are a few bugs with it still. Also, when we first signed up, reimbursement for claims typically took less than a week, now it takes several weeks and even a month or longer. I’ve had to contact customer service several times to check on the status of my claim.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Great coverage have had no issues with the insurance. Fair payments for claims. I would recommend to other pet owners and have. Will continue with this coverage with future pets. I had to use this unexpectedly for my German sharp and have had no issues to date with claims.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

ASPCA is a good pet insurance. My reason for a 3 star review is they took a long time to process my claims at first and used old medical records to base their decision off of which ended up being declined. When they used the new medical records it was approved and they were timely with their processing. The other reason is for a high increase on the premium each year. Out of the other pet insurances I do recommend ASPCA.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I was a little bit concerned that I wasn’t going to get reimburse since it’s my first time using the application and this insurance. I’m very happy that I got 90% reimbursed in a timely manner. I wish that I would get an update via email or notification about the process. Other than that I’m very happy.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

The process took a little longer than expected after the first email stating that you had everything you needed. We were under the impression that at that point the claim would be processed and paid. After about a week we received another email stating that you needed more information from our vet. When I called and inquired, your staff was able to give distinct answers and provide me with the information I needed for my vet. After that, the process was completely as advertised. Thanks so much.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I have two pets currently insured by ASPCA Pet Health insurance and I am very happy with how easy it is to submit a claim, and the processing is fast too. My cat currently has a tumor, and my dog who had to have a tooth extracted earlier this year. Both had claims this year and there have been no issues with the reimbursements whatsoever.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

With options for dogs and cats, this pet insurance company allows pet owners to visit any veterinarian in the U.S. and Canada. They have complete coverage and accident-only coverage options.

• No networks: Unlike other insurance companies, ASPCA doesn’t work inside a network, which means you can take your dog or cat to any vet in the U.S. and Canada. This can be especially helpful for people who like to travel with their pet.

• ASPCA claims: Claims can be submitted online, through the mobile app, by mail or by fax. You can choose to be reimbursed directly into your bank account, or you can have a check mailed to you.

• Complete Coverage: This insurance plan covers everything when your pet is hurt or ill, including accidents, sickness, hereditary conditions and even behavioral issues.

• Accident-only coverage: Accident-only coverage will cover exam fees, diagnostics and treatment for accidents.

• Multi-pet discount: Save 10% when you insure multiple pets with ASPCA pet insurance. Discounts are applied automatically.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky