4.31/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance understands that your pets are an important part of your family, but vet bills are often costly and unexpected. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance gives you the peace of mind that you will be able to give your pet the care they need when they need it without the burden of a large vet bill hanging over your head. The process is simple and convenient and your reimbursement can cover up to 90% of your covered bill. Call today to get the best coverage for your pet.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

182 ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

It seemed to be taking a long time for our first claim to go through. Once we called they were able to give us an update and within days it was processed and the rest of our claims processed soon after. Customer service was great when we called!

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Insurance is expensive, but we have never had a problem using the insurance. Our Reese is a very good dog, and a great addition to our family. We have used the insurance four times, and no complaints. We are glad we have this insurance.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

It was only the second claim I had process and I feel that it was handled as quickly as possible and am very satisfied with the results and have every intention of remaining a client. I will recommend your service to friends and family.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Getting pet insurance through ASPCA is the best thing you can do for your pet. Their process for submitting claims is quick and easy and turnaround time is under 10 business days. I recommend this to everyone I see with dogs.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Our cat had to have emergency surgery a few months ago and the claim took over a month to process. That was a very long time to go without the thousands of dollars we spent on his surgery. We had to call several times to move along the process as well. I fear that if we never pushed the process along, we might still be without our claim money. I would love it if ASPCA would pay claims up front.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ASPCA Pet Health Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Great customer service. It help a big lot to have available. I'm glad I took the choice to get it. Now I'm worry free. And for any illness or accident my Chikis is cover with ASPCA. I recommend this 100%.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

My claim process was fast and easy. The check was sent directly to my vet. What I liked the best about this experience was receiving a call from ASPCA to check on my pet's health. That was a very nice gesture.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

We are very please with the help that we have received for Gracie's medical issues. To date everyone that I have spoken to has been wonderful and very helpful with all of my questions and concerns. I have told our friends about your pet insurance and how great it is. Thank you.

Hello Donna,

We're so happy you chose ASPCA Pet Health Insurance to cover Gracie!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

My husband & I adopted the most adorable St. Bernard puppy in May, 2018, he was 3 mos old when we brought him home, we named him Ziggy. Unbeknownst to us Ziggy's fun, carefree life would be quickly interrupted at the age of 5 mos. He came down with some unknown illness that first presented as lameness and quickly morphed into bacterial infection throughout his little body to the point where he was in severe distress. From mid-July to early August our days were spent taking Zigg back to emergency vet hospital (he was hospitalized 3 separate times) and each time still the Vets were not sure he would survive this ordeal. Primarily because he was a puppy and his immune system not fully developed. We had many scary sad nights, but throughout it our Vets never gave up hope they would find what was wrong with Zigg.

Happily today, Zigg has been home (for more than a month) and is well on his way to recovering. His diagnosis finally came that he had the dog version of MRSA (serious bacterial infections). Through all of this, we never once lost any sleep on how we were going to pay for Zigg's care. We found out luckily, that the breeder we adopted Zigg from had never canceled his ASPCA Pet Insurance. His coverage was for accidents/injury and paying up to 90% of bills. Submitting my claims for reimbursement was one of the easiest things I have ever done (too bad human health insurance isn't this simple). Went to the website, uploaded receipts, doctor's reports. ASPCA representatives emailed me immediately stating claims were received, and kept me informed of how they were progressing. ASPCA reps contacted the Vet directly, I did not have to be an intermediary.

My first set of claims were reimbursed (at 90%) within 2 weeks of submission, my 2nd set within 1 week. I cannot stress enough the fact that we were dealing with life threatening issues with our baby boy was beyond stressful. NOT having to have to worry about how we were going to pay for his care was beyond a miracle. Going thru what we have with Zigg, I realized I needed to get coverage for my 2 older dogs, Clay & Finn (Golden Retrievers - 8 & 5 years of age). Now I know I will never worry about caring for their medical needs in the future. If it ever occurs again, I know ASPCA will handle everything for us and all we have to do is focus on getting our babies well.

And on a separate note, whenever I did call ASPCA with questions or concerns, their very first question upon identifying me was "How is Ziggy?". It was incredible to have such care and concern with a representative whose job (really is to sell insurance). But the folks on the phone were truly caring and were concerned and you could feel it, it was not at all insincere. And even now almost a month since my last submission they were calling to follow up and see how Ziggy was doing, it was like talking to friends. I know there are many people who do not understand the connection we have with our pets, they are our family and to many of us "our children". And like any parent we love talking about our child, the folks at ASPCA understand this and are happy to hear our stories.

Hello Maria,

Thanks for leaving us a review. We are happy to hear that we have been able to help. Please give Ziggy some extra belly rubs from us today.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I'd like to start by stating this is not meant as an angry rant, rather an informed warning to anyone else thinking about "donating" to this insurance company. We have 2 rescue bull terriers, being rescue there is never any guarantee of pedigree and consequently one of the girls is not the healthiest. We have submitted 4 claims for her and 2 for her sister, we have been denied every claim. Between them had cherry eye, allergies, bacterial build up, vomiting and ear infection. Only one denial was valid and we were caught by a pre existing condition. The others were genuine illness but were denied all the same for a mix of false pre existing and outright nonsensical answers. To me if illness is covered and your dog is ill you would expect insurance to come through. I shall now be saving the $80 per month we donate to this insurance company and instead save it up for any future vet bills. Do not use this company, they only take.

Hi Grant,

Like other pet insurance providers, we do not cover pre-existing conditions. That being said, however, with our plans a new instance of a pre-existing condition may be covered in the future if 180 days have passed since it was cured and treatment free.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

ASPCA pet health insurance has been so helpful. The process to submit claims is quick and simple, allowing me to receive refunds in a short amount of time. I have received many calls checking in on my pet's well-being when I was filing multiple claims in a short amount of time, which is appreciated. With such a great experience, I would recommend this insurance to others.

Hi Adriana,

We appreciate you taking time to leave us a review and are happy to hear about your experience. Don't hesitate to reach out to customer service if you ever have any questions.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Thought plan was great until I needed to use it. Claim was denied as illness was diagnosed at the end of the plan period and treatment extended into the next year plan period. The plan will only cover cost for illness which manifests itself within a plan period. You cannot forecast when your dog will get a disease and need treatment. This insurance is totally useless for me as my dog will need treatment for the rest of her life and insurance will not pay for any of it. After 10 years of paying into a level 3 plan I have canceled it as it is of no use to me.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance is simply the best. They have the best customer service... Their team actually makes personal phone calls to check on you and your pet. And they really care. Their app is super easy to use. Claims are simple to submit, and the reimbursements are very fair. I recommend pet insurance to every pet owner, and specifically insurance through ASPCA!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Started a little slow, with all the processing but after everyone got coordinated (ASPCA, Vet and Me) things have been great since. Highly recommended cause pets can be very expensive to care for correctly. As a puppy, Sadie, had some early age issues and ASPCA help to cover the expense of getting her "right".

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I got insurance for my fur baby and don’t regret the decision of picking ASPCA to cover his health needs. Customer service over the phone is always wonderful and helpful and the health coverage is fair. Thank you so much!

Hello Nadia,

We're so happy you chose ASPCA Pet Health Insurance to cover your fur baby!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Unfortunately, we have had to use this insurance MANY times for ALL kinds of crazy reasons, circumstances and health scares. I am glad when I was looking at pet insurance that I first of all decided to definitely purchase it and that we did so through the ASPCA. They are caring and quick and NEVER has argued a claim, paying everytime. They care about your pet and always follow up to see if they are feeling better. Best decision besides picking this particular dog to fall in love with, was picking this insurance to care for him.

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for leaving us a review. We are happy to hear that we have been able to help. Please give your dog some extra belly rubs from us today.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I have been very pleased with the service we have received for our dog. I have felt the claim reviews have been timely and reimbursement is as equally timely. I have had no issues with the service and have recommended ASPCA insurance to other dog owners.

Hi Melissa,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and are happy to hear about your experience. Don't hesitate to reach out to customer service if you have any questions.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Probably the best thing that we have done since we adopted our puppy. ASPCA is easy to work with and very prompt. We have had a great experience with them. I would highly recommend them to family and friends looking for pet insurance.

Hi Michael,

We're so happy you chose ASPCA Pet Health Insurance to cover your puppy!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I signed my 9 year old dachshund Winston up with ASPCA on August 1st 2016 with no preexisting conditions. Winston was healthy until June 2018 when he was diagnosed with Lymphoma (a quick growing cancer that has a prognosis of two months). For the first time in his life he had an illness that was severe & needed treatment. I was thankful I had put so much money into ASPCA to help prolong or save Winston’s life. However, because of ASPCA’s FINE PRINT, they do not reimburse continued treatment after the renewal date (because I started my pet insurance on August 1st, they refuse to reimburse should his treatments continue beyond this date, although the yearly limit they claim they will reimburse is $3,000).

This violates the agreement that I & many others might assume as they CLAIM to provide reimbursement for bills accrued due to illness, accidents, etc. Additionally, I am now paying even MORE based on the interest that has accrued on my credit card with claims taking 4+ weeks to clear (while also receiving up to $300 less on each claim submitted). This is a grave injustice that I feel I have experienced at the detriment of my pet’s lifespan.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

They are not worth it. They find any part to call it pre existing. They don’t call and ask questions. They send letters of denial and assume you’re being dishonest. You appeal it, then they still deny it for another reason. They are rip off. Not worth the investment.

Hello Krista,

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

They really care about your pet. Their App makes it very simple to not only submit a claim but check on the claim. It's all so very easy. It seems a bit pricey at first but if you do the research you will see that they offer more. You get what you pay for and the price for me is worth my fur-babies health.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I never knew that pet insurance existed until I wound up with a sickly pup. ASPCA pet insurance is understanding and prompt with every claim. They even check up on your pup after you file one! My own insurance doesn't even do that. Reimbursing claims for everything from cellulitis to allergies, I really appreciate everything they do.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

ASPCA pet insurance has been a joy to work with. I had the misfortune of having my dog develop hip issues within a year of starting ASPCA insurance and they have been wonderful about covering everything so far with no issues.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

My experience with ASPCA animal insurance has been extremely positive thus far. Upon calling and asking questions about either the plan or what it includes or excludes, in addition to questions corresponding a claim, I am always greeted by a friendly and knowledgeable customer service representative. Moreover, I have always received a follow-up call from one of their team members, checking in on the health of my puppy, when she has fallen ill. Which is such a grand personal touch. It’s greatly appreciated at a pet-parent. I have recommended ASPCA pet insurance to others, and feel confident that I will continue using to myself for my dog.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

My poor dog drew the short straw as far as injuries and ailments. If not for ASPCA insurance I would not have been able to provide her the care she needs. Constant ear infections, food allergies, cranial cruciate surgery, (one down,one to go)???? A true godsend!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

We had a pretty good experience with our ASPCA Pet Health Insurance provider. Our cats (2) were recently diagnosed with urinalysis tract infections and one underwent surgery, so I was extremely happy with my decision to get their health insured. Everyone was very pleasant and helpful each time I called and the claims were processed and paid promptly. We recently renewed for a second year, so would recommend to anyone who would like to keep their pets healthy and give peace of mind that they won’t be caught in a bad position should an accident or illness arise.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

The service is very easy to use - I love the online uploading of receipts and direct deposit of reimbursements. Policies are clearly explained and there have been no surprises or difficulties thus far. I'm very glad to have the support of ASPCA Pet Insurance!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Recently had to make a claim on the insurance from ASPCA pet insurance and was happy with the results. They paid out what they said they would. The app wasn't the most user-friendly and found that it was best to just fax everything to them. That was easy for me but may not be for everyone. It took a while for the claim to be processed but I think that was mostly due to using the app. Now that I know the easiest approach, the next time should be quicker. Overall was pleased with the experience and will recommend to friends and clients of the vet clinic where I am employed.

Hi Ellen,

We appreciate you taking time to leave us a review and will look into the issues you were having with the app. Don't hesitate to contact customer service if you ever have any questions.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I rescued 2 little souls and never expected to be in the emergency vet with one of them within 6 months. Claim was handled professionally and fast. Preventive care visit was as well... never expected to be reimbursed for preventive. So worth it for the cost. Would recommend ASPCA Insurance to everyone with pets!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

When my Yorkie mix had to have knee surgery, I had to use our ASPCA insurance for the first time. They were incredible! They kept me informed as to where the claim was in the process, if the needed more information from the vet. They also informed me that the vet had not yet gotten back to them and that I might want to contact them as well. Nothing ever got lost in the cracks! They paid my claims in timely manner once they finally got the information they needed. The process couldn't have been more seamless! We will be staying with them for the life of our pets if this is how they treat their customers! They are the epitome of customer service!!

Hello Sharon,

We are happy to hear that we have been able to help. Please give your Yorkie mix some extra belly rubs from us today!

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

With options for dogs and cats, this pet insurance company allows pet owners to visit any veterinarian in the U.S. and Canada. They have complete coverage and accident-only coverage options.

• No networks: Unlike other insurance companies, ASPCA doesn’t work inside a network, which means you can take your dog or cat to any vet in the U.S. and Canada. This can be especially helpful for people who like to travel with their pet.

• ASPCA claims: Claims can be submitted online, through the mobile app, by mail or by fax. You can choose to be reimbursed directly into your bank account, or you can have a check mailed to you.

• Complete Coverage: This insurance plan covers everything when your pet is hurt or ill, including accidents, sickness, hereditary conditions and even behavioral issues.

• Accident-only coverage: Accident-only coverage will cover exam fees, diagnostics and treatment for accidents.

• Multi-pet discount: Save 10% when you insure multiple pets with ASPCA pet insurance. Discounts are applied automatically.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky