2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.15/5

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance understands that your pets are an important part of your family, but vet bills are often costly and unexpected. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance gives you the peace of mind that you will be able to give your pet the care they need when they need it without the burden of a large vet bill hanging over your head. The process is simple and convenient and your reimbursement can cover up to 90% of your covered bill. Call today to get the best coverage for your pet.

BOTTOM LINE

ASPCA Pet Insurance provides injury and illness coverage for animals. While preventative care coverage cost extra, the insurance offers comprehensive coverage options and a simple, quick claim process.

PROS
  • Exam fees included
  • No age restrictions
  • No networks
CONS
  • Preventative care costs extra

Top ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ASPCA Pet Health Insurance?

My horse sustained what would have been a life-ending injury had I not had ASPCA Pet Health Insurance. Instead, he has not only survived but he is anticipated to return to FULL ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE as an event horse. ... I really just can't thank ASPCA Pet Health Insurance enough...

Claims are responded to very quickly. No problems, no headaches. Claims are easy to submit and monitor online, making the process simple. Very happy with ASPCA Pet Insurance and would recommend to anyone with a pet.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Get Pricing

ASPCA Pet Insurance plans

ASPCA Pet Insurance offers two main plans: Complete Coverage and Accident-Only Coverage. For all plans offered by ASPCA, you can visit any vet, specialist or emergency clinic — no need to worry about networks. Simply get your pet the help they need when they need it then submit your claim at a later date.

• Complete Coverage: ASPCA’s core insurance offering is the Complete Coverage plan, which covers accident, illness, hereditary and behavioral issues. Cost varies based on your plan elections.
  • Accident-Only Coverage: For around $20 a month with a $5,000 limit, accident-only coverage is available to cover the fees associated with diagnosis and treatment of accidents like broken bones, cuts, wounds and toxic ingestion.
  • Preventative add-on: While preventative care is not covered under a regular plan, you can add-on preventative care for between $10 - $25 extra a month.

What does ASPCA Pet Insurance cover?

Coverage includes exam fees, diagnostics and treatments under the categories below. ASPCA advertises covering most advanced treatments, including conventional treatments like chemotherapy and surgeries, as well as less common treatments like stem-cell therapy and acupuncture.

• Accident: Accident coverage deals with costs associated with injuries like broken bones, torn ligaments, toxic or foreign object ingestion, cuts and other wounds that require emergency treatment.
  • Illnesses: Covered illnesses include cancer, arthritis, allergies, hypothyroidism, digestive problems and UTIs.
  • Hereditary & Congenital Conditions: Coverage for inherited conditions that present later in life such as heart disease, eye disorders and hip dysplasia.
  • Behavioral Issues: Coverage for vet visits for concerns related to issues like anxiety, compulsion, excessive licking or other destructive behaviors.

ASPCA Preventative Care coverage

If you elect the Preventative Care add-on, coverage is also available for the following items, depending on which options you select.

• All
    • FIP vaccine/titer
    • Feline FVRCP vaccine/titer
    • Feline FELV vaccine/titer

What’s not covered

ASPCA Pet Insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions, breeding costs or cosmetic procedures like tail docking, ear cropping and claw removal under their Comprehensive Plan. Preventative care is only available as an add-on service for an extra fee. The organization includes the following list of exclusions on their site.

• Anal gland expression
  • Funeral services
  • Grooming
  • Herbs
  • House calls
  • Illness or injury related to neglect
  • Ligament and knee conditions
  • Prescription food
  • Preventative care
  • Supplements and vitamins
  • Training
  • Treatment related to epidemics or pandemics

ASPCA Pet Insurance cost

The average price for ASPCA Pet Insurance complete coverage for one pet is $35/month. The cost increases or decreases based on your selection for annual limit, deductible and reimbursement percentage.

Annual deductible: Choose from $100, $250 or $500. The higher the deductible, the lower your monthly premium. However, the lower the premium, the more you’ll pay out of pocket per claim.

Reimbursement percentage: Choose from 70%, 80% or 90% reimbursement. This is the amount you receive back on your vet bill after paying your deductible.

Annual limit: Choose from $5,000, $10,000, $15,000, $20,000 or unlimited annual limits. This is the total amount ASPCA reimburses you per 12-month period.

Annual limitDeductibleReimbursementMonthly cost
$5,000 limit$50070%$25.66
$15,000 limit$25080%$45.21
Unlimited limit$10090%$75.96

ASPCA Pet Insurance FAQ

Does ASPCA Pet Insurance cover spaying?
Spaying and neutering are included under the preventative care add-on insurance option but is not covered under ASPCA’s standard Complete Coverage plan.
Does ASPCA Pet Insurance cover pre-existing conditions?
No. Pre-existing conditions are not covered under any of the ASPCA plans. However, certain hereditary conditions that develop later in life, like hip dysplasia and eye issues, are covered under the Complete Coverage plan.
Is there a waiting period with ASPCA Pet Insurance?
Yes. All policies have a 15-day waiting period before they go into effect.
Does ASPCA Pet Insurance have an app?
Yes. The ASPCA Pet Insurance app is called “My Pet Insurance,” and allows you to submit and track claims from anywhere.

Do we recommend ASPCA Pet Insurance?

Pet care can be expensive and rarely ever thought of until it is needed. A service like ASPCA’s Pet Insurance can help reduce the cost of an ill-timed vet emergency. With vet costs averaging between $200 - $400 a year, these bills can start to stack up. In the event your pet needs major surgery or emergency care, pet insurance can be the difference between getting your pet the care they need and being forced into tougher monetary decisions.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ASPCA Pet Health Insurance?

Original review: March 12, 2021

This is the fourth claim that I have submitted to ASPCA. Each time the process has been easy and a reasonable amount of my costs have been covered. They even cover end of life services. I had one cat pass away last year (age 17 to cancer), and I received a call from someone at ASPCA Pet Health Insurance offering heartfelt condolences. Just a month ago I lost another cat (age 16 to kidney disease), and I received another heartfelt condolence call. Also, I no longer had to pay for the insurance which was not the case with another company. Needless to say, I highly recommend ASPCA Pet Health insurance!!

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2020

Yes I would highly recommend ASPCA insurance to everyone who has a pet or pets. Your people are very helpful & knowledgeable on the phone for questions that I have had in the past. Claims are usually done quickly. I use direct deposit and then a hard copy of the claim is mailed to me. This way I’m aware of what was paid.

Original review: May 10, 2020

I am so grateful for the marketing email from ASPCA PET INSURANCE. Never had considered pet insurance before. Our 1 1/2 year Shih Tzu is a rascal who is is maturing into a fine adult. Her puppy hood was full of Dr visits which were covered by 80% reimbursement. I'll give her another year and reassess the need for insurance but a modest premium is certainly a great value for the mitigating the risk of another office visit.

Original review: May 9, 2020

Our dog ruptured both of her ACLs, which resulted in the need of bilateral TPLO surgery and a VERY hefty vet bill. Add some post op complications and a trip to the ER and I'm not sure where we'd be without this insurance. ASPCA insurance is so easy to work with! Claims are a piece of cake and reimbursement was prompt. Best part, post op care and therapy is covered!

Original review: May 9, 2020

ASPCA's pet health insurance has been a great deal for us. I purchased it for our remaining cat after one of our two cats died of pancreatic cancer last summer. Several months later the remaining cat became sick with feline lymphoma and we unfortunately had to make many visits to the vet for treatment, testing, etc. The insurance reimbursements saved us a lot of money in vet bills, as well as giving us peace of mind, and was very easy to use. Generally payments were made within a few weeks of submitting a claim, and all of our claims were easily managed from the web interface. It allowed us to spend a few extra months with our beloved cat, and after we had to put her to sleep, they even called to express their condolences. I highly recommend ASPCA pet health insurance and if/when we get more cats in the future, we will definitely be using them again.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

The absolute worst insurance experience of anything I’ve ever had insurance on! Car, home, life, phone, flood!! After 3 months They keep sending me emails every two weeks about needling more info from my vet. My vet sent them 11 pages of records 4 times. I spoke to a rep EVERY WEEK since the surgery (July 27 2020). They say they don’t have them, then another rep says they do then again they're waiting. I’ve called and shown up at my vet's office 3 times to make sure they did their part and sure enough they did. I again call ASPCA pet insurance and wait the 40-over an hour wait times to be told the same things.

When they “verify” they have the records then tell me they will put this though for payment into my direct deposit, I get nothing but another email saying they’re waiting for medical records. I call again and the rep says the same repertoire then tells me they need records going back even further than a year since my dog has only been going to this vet less than a year. Not once had this come up in the previous emails. They always say they’re email the vet that did the surgery. I went and got, photographed and sent records all the way back to 2018!!

So I cancelled my coverage and every day for the last 5 days I get a voicemail and an email asking to keep coverage and remit payment. They’re adept at begging for money FROM me every day just not lifting a finger to PAY me. Also now when I go to the “My Pet Insurance” app the date of the claim says Jan. 1, 2001!!!! What a joke of a company! A $1042 surgery claim I’ll NEVER get back! STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I have 3 outstanding claims with them and they say because of covid it’s taking longer. One is 3 months, one 2 months and a third is about a month. I am owed over $1,000. I don’t understand how they are so behind but processed my payment for automatic insurance renewal. I called and emailed and can’t get my

Money.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance response

Hi, Kim, we make every effort to process claims as quickly as possible and will update the status in the Member Center as your claim continues through review. We’d be happy to discuss your claims in further detail if you’d like to give us a call at 1-866-204-6764.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

My dog Toto was insured by ASPCA Pet Insurance (underwritten by The Crum & Forster group) for over 10 years. Paid around 10000 in insurance premiums over 10 year period. When my dog needed an ACL surgery, the company has denied my claim, stating that incident has occurred in the prior policy year. Company is saying that when policy is renewed each year, treatment for the incidents that happened in the prior year would not be covered. I think this is an unfair practice and want all current and potential customers to be aware of that. The cost of surgery was over $2500 and I got paid 0 by the insurance.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance response

Hi, Igor, we're sorry to hear you're unhappy with your coverage. Please give us a call at 1-866-204-6764 so we may address your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

My overall experience with them is good. However, the premiums for two dogs are going up every year for the past 2 years. If this continues I will not be able to stay with them.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Our animal has been insured for the past 3.5 years. Our claims, when filed, have been responded to and paid with accuracy and promptness. We have also had phone contact to address some issues and the staff has been wonderful and solved our issues.

ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Company Information