1.24/5
  • 1 star
Based on 45 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a pet insurance provider?

24PetWatch Pet Insurance

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Jan. 16, 2018

141 24PetWatch Pet Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

When I adopted my 2 cats in 2015, the humane society that I bought them from used 24PetWatch microchips. Fast forward to 2018 when I have moved and am trying to update my contact information in case they, god forbid, get lost and I am informed that I cannot change my contact information unless I pay $44 a year to get memberships for both of them so they will unlock my account and allow me to go in and change my own address information.

I have a HomeAgain Chip in my dog and that company is WONDERFUL. They also have a membership with a fee but they do not require you to pay it in order to update the information that may result in your pet getting returned to you safe and sound. Instead their membership fee simply allows you to use actual benefits should you chose to want them like email blasts to people in your area if your pet is lost. I will never again allow my pets to be microchip with a 24PetWatch chip and I strongly encourage you to seek out other options like HomeAgain if you want to have your pets truly protected.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

When my daughter graduated college her dog came to live with us. We attempted to update the chip information through 24PetWatch. She was advised her dog's chip had lapsed and that she would have to pay an annual fee to update and to keep it current. She was told they would not have provided her information if her dog had been lost. We registered the number on a free site and updated the information. This company cares about money, not pets. The dog was adopted from The Pets Alive! shelter in San Antonio, Texas and was required to be chipped by their vet prior to adoption which took place February 2015. I want other customers to know the chip means nothing after one year unless they register the chip number on a free site.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

When I got my cat she came with a chip from 24Petwatch with a years free of service. After the year was up you had to pay $85.00 which I didn’t want to do just yet. But at least my info was accurate on the chip. Yesterday when she went missing I paid the money because my phone number recently changed. After calling them the first time the office phone said they were closed and to call at normal business hours. Which I thought was ridiculous since they are called 24Petwatch and on their stupid website said they are open 24/7/365. I called again and it kept me on hold for over an hour.

After that I gave up and went to their website and posted her chip number. I received an email saying someone will call me shortly and still almost 24 hours later I haven’t heard a thing from them. Thank god we were able to find her ourselves several hours later. I then tried to call back to let them know that she was safe. I still was put on hold for forever and I have been locked out of my account. Do they not want me getting in there??? What is wrong with these scammers. Our pets mean something to us!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I have never used the paid services of 24PetWatch, and do not have an active account with them. However, they routinely send me emails advising me to sign up for their services. Editing your email preferences is locked behind a pay gate, as are all other options such as deleting my (now deceased) dog from their records. This is exploitative, and because their emails are non-transactional (not deriving from a direct action I have taken on their site) it is illegal for them to deny me the ability to unsubscribe from emails via their website. Stay away from this company until they review and fix their processes.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I adopted my dog in New York 10 years ago. She came with a microchip that the rescue organization said was registered with 24 Hour Pet Watch. I decided to insure my dog through them for convenience, as she was already chipped with them. I gave them $19.95 a month for 10 years. I used the insurance only twice in the first two years. They recently more than doubled the cost of their coverage ($49.95 per month,) which I found to be financially unfeasible. I discontinued the coverage. Prior to this, I'd moved back to New Orleans. During this past hurricane season, I realized I may not have updated my address for the microchip. I contacted 24 Hour Pet Watch, only to find out that my dog's chip had NEVER been registered, the entire 10 years she had been insured with them.

I was told that I could register the chip for $80 for my dog's lifetime, but I would receive a coupon for $25 off dog food at PetCo. They never offered a discount on the registration, though clearly, they had been lax. You guessed it. I never got the coupon. I've called four times to obtain the coupon, with a promise each time I'd get it in 5-7 days. No results. My take-away is that 24 Hour Pet Watch has NO regard for your pet. Only money. I now have similar coverage (for a good deal less,) with the ASPCA, a trusted, legitimate organization. Do NOT give your money to 24 Hour Pet Watch.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24PetWatch Pet Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I took in a rescue pet with a 24PetWatch microchip. It was "free" with the rescue, for which I paid, except I had to PAY to "update" my information after 30 days. This was $90. FOR ONE YEAR. My vet offered microchipping for a one-time, $40, LIFETIME coverage. Interestingly, the one time this sweet dog got lost, the finder did have her scanned for a chip -- the 24PetWatch people would NOT give her the contact information they had on file, because I didn't pay $90 a year!!! Fortunately, we connected through the other microchip... the one I had gotten from my vet for $40 FOR THE LIFE OF THE PET. I would never recommend 24PetWatch... more accurately, the name should reflect that they might help you IF you pay their ridiculous scalper fees every single year. Complete rip-off, and useless.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

We enrolled our pet in the free 30 day trial that we were offered when adopting him. One month later, I was charged for a month of coverage. In no way was it clearly communicated to me when I signed our dog up for the trial that we would be billed for the next month if we didn't call and cancel. I was able to receive a partial refund, but the company refused to give me a full refund for what they charged me. They are very deceptive. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS SCAM.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

$85.00 membership, to change address? Free registration when chip is installed. No guarantee they will report your pet lost if found without getting membership. So pay for chip at the vet $90.00, then $85.00 for verified membership. And then we will possibly let you know if your pet is lost and has been found. Hope the shareholders will rethink the operating practices of this company with the negative feedback given. I surely won't invest in their stock if they aren't on the market. I would recommend other monitoring company.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I have been paying into this insurance policy for my pet for over 16 years. He just passed and this insurance would not pay - according to them the disease he died from is not covered under the policy!! They wouldn't pay $399.00 for the emergency exam he had and for the blood tests to let us know what was wrong with him. This insurance company is a scam. I have paid over $6000 over the years for my pets policy and they wouldn't even pay out a single dollar for taking him into emergency. GET A BETTER PLAN THROUGH A DIFFERENT COMPANY!!! THIS COMPANY WILL FIND ANY MEANS NOT TO PAY WHAT THEY OWE TO YOU!!!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Beware, they hold your checks then send it to the wrong address so they can hold your money longer. Even direct deposit takes up to 20 days. I've been waiting three months to receive my insurance claim refund. I'm never late on paying them. What a rip off company.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I have been with this company for almost 20 years, through many underwriters. I have two dogs and at times have had two dogs and two cats with this company. I would have switched after I adopted a new cat but both dogs are older, making the switching process cost-prohibitive. Like many others, my policies doubled this year - "new underwriter." At the same time, their billing was chaotic resulting in charging me for four months and not informing me they had somehow neglected to bill me!

In regard to the rate increase; while it is upsetting, this company was so non-competitive with regard to price! I was paying so little and getting 80% coverage. They have raised their rates to be competitive which I know because I shopped around - a lot. They cover office visits for illnesses which many companies do not; they are now quite prompt in responding and have a good customer portal. I don't think they are the best but believe they have made many improvements in the last year, despite the shocking rate increase.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Signed up for a free 30-day trial, decided not to continue, and sent that in writing several business days before the period was up. Heard nothing back and was billed for the next month. Called to set it straight, and was finally refunded most of my money. If this is how they treat potential customers, I shudder to think how they would've treated us during an actual claim.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I've been covered by 24PetWatch for 8 years, since my cat was a kitten. I had the Champion Care with wellness visits coverage. I've never had any claims other than yearly wellness visits, which were covered with my policy. Over the past 7 years, my coverage has increase a small percentage every year, on the order of 2-3%, which I considered the cost of doing business. This year, without any notification, my renewal went up 336%, from $179/year to $602/year. I called the company thinking this charge was in error, but I was told that they have a new underwriter and that all rates went up. They supposedly mailed a letter in April stating this, but I never received it.

This is the fourth or fifth time the company has changed hands since I initially purchased the insurance (it was Purinacare when I bought it initially), but I've never had issues until now. This increase is outrageous, and I am completely dissatisfied with how they treat their customers. In addition to the outrageous cost increase, they also had me on hold for over 30 minutes before I could speak to a person, and it took another 20 minutes before I could convince them to cancel my coverage. I originally purchased the insurance to cover any health care issues for the cat as he aged since it was cheaper to buy it when he was under 2 years rather than wait until he got older, but at this new cost, I can just as easily put the money in a savings account and have more than enough.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Terrible micro chip support - All I want to do is simply CHANGE MY ADDRESS AND PHONE number, but they want $85 to do that. YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR A MEMBERSHIP TO CHANGE information. SUCH A RIP-OFF!!! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I purchased a Wellness plan for my puppy approximately one year ago. I still am not listed as a Wellness program on the electronic claim form. Many months ago, I submitted a claim for vaccinations. I received telephone help in completing the online application and faxed the vet records and cost. I received a total of only $30 reimbursement!!! Then, my puppy was neutered and I am still not listed as a wellness policy holder.

I sent several emails about this surgery, that happened approximately four months ago, and have not received ONE response. I have telephoned this company several times and received no callback. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PET INSURANCE; I have paid roughly $60/month and received nothing!!! It is very clear that they simply want to support their business and not supply the reimbursement that they stated initially in description of their policies.

Original review: July 29, 2017

Do not use this company. I have been paying into my policy since my dog was a puppy with direct withdrawal for over 12 years. Never missed a payment. My dog is very healthy to this day. Had one small bump removed 2 years ago. Now it looks like the company cancels with no warning once your dog gets to a certain older age. Someone should bring a class action lawsuit against this company as I just lost all the money I put into it and now have no money for future major health issues that might come up.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Just curious here, does the 24 in 24PetWatch represent 24 hours on hold or ...? I've lost my dog and THEY WON'T ANSWER. I've literally been on hold forever. I don't pay to be on hold, I pay to be helped. If I could give 0 stars I would.

Original review: July 23, 2017

24PetWatch - 7-22-17 at 9:23 a.m. - I paid for their renewal before realizing I already had lifetime service set up for my service dog, Morris, with AKC Reunite. I selected the lifetime plan because I didn't want to pay $22.00 a year. I'm now out of $84.95. This money can be much better spent on dog food! Exactly 20 minutes after paying them by credit card I called them via deaf relay & asked to have it removed. The customer service rep was adamant that it cannot be removed (because it says no refunds), so I waited a while and then called again and got the same response, except after 38 minutes on the call, this rep said she would forward this issue to her manager, who is off on weekends and is the only one authorized to remove the pending charge, since during the same relay call with the same CA (Sprint relay operator) - when I first contacted Visa CC, they said the charge was pending and only the merchant can remove it.

In the meantime, Visa said that they added a dispute note to my account but that it can't be disputed until the payment is posted. Now I'm waiting for "the manager" to contact me via email and I pray I get that money back. Wish me luck, please! Note: Google result for 24PetWatch says Microchip Registration is free. IT IS NOT FREE!!!

Original review: July 19, 2017

I've been with 24Pet insurance for my dog for 9 years. That ended today July 2017. The insurance company prior to this new PTZ-taking over was amazing. Now, since the new PTZ took over their customer service has decreased and to a surprise I didn't receive any policy renewal notice but did receive my credit card statement and just like the other person on here they doubled my premium. Without notifying me of any changes in premium AND double charging me without any notice. I called to verify all of this. They tried to tell me it's a new underwriting price change. I told them my new pet insurance buying for a new policy has begun and they can cancel retroactive to this billing. They wouldn't. I told the rep they should be ashamed of themselves doing this to loyal clients and hung up. My credit card company has taken their charge off my bill and my dog has another insurance for the same amount I was paying before.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I was surprised to see so many negative reviews and a low rating on this company, but reading them they were all about pet insurance which I don't have for my cat. He is micro chipped though, and after 5 moves in his short three years, he got out last night and hasn't come home. He's been gone for 26 hours as I write this and I've been freaking out for my little baby. However, I'm super broke and was worried I'd have to renew membership in order for them to help me or for his chip to be activated if someone found him. Anyway, I called tonight, gave them Mini's chip number and explained that I never renewed past the free year from the shelter.

The woman on the phone was very nice and said, "let's update your information to your current address and I'll report Mini as lost and we can talk about renewal once he has been found." That seriously put this broke college student, who just started a job and hasn't received her first paycheck yet and whose student loans aren't coming in until the end of August, in somewhat of a less stressed state of mind.

So, my cat is now listed as missing, no one tried to pressure me into renewal at this point, and she even gave me some tips to help my baby find his way home (I was already doing them because the internet is a wealth of info, but still, it was nice to know that they were helpful with that). I was just very relieved that they updated my information with Mini's accurate name and address and my phone number and email address so that if he is found, they won't try to send him off to the state we previously lived in. Hoping to get my wittle mini home safe and sound soon, thanks to the very helpful woman I called tonight.

Original review: July 7, 2017

If I could give zero stars, I would. I just got off the phone with a "customer service" rep who kept pressuring me not to cancel my policy. He was absolutely relentless and offensive. He had me so angry I ended up cussing at him. He was that bad. Background: Like everyone else who is furious with this company, my premium just jumped over 100%, from 30.02/mo to 66.16/mo. I didn't know this until I saw the charge on my credit card. I found the renewal booklet I'd been sent a couple of months ago, and sure enough it did say there would be an increase. My bad.

BUT -- when I called the company today to look into changing from the highest coverage level ($20,000 which includes wellness and dental) to a lower one, I asked if the conditions my cat is currently being treated for would still be covered. I was told that since I didn't make the change "in the renewal period", her medical conditions would now be considered pre-existing(!!!) Since it would be no different if I got a new policy elsewhere, I figured why stay with this company that was ripping me off? So I said, "I want to cancel the policy, then." Oh my Holy Mother of God, what happened next was unbelievable.

He began a relentless pressure campaign to get me to change my mind, kept harping on how a teeth cleaning alone (which is covered under the policy) makes the premium worth it. I told him my priorities are her hyperthyroidism and her kidney function, which currently entails labs a few times a year, not teeth cleaning. He went on and on, saying everything EXCEPT "Yes, ma'am, I'm sorry to hear you want to cancel; I'll start that process right now for you". I kept repeating that I was not interested in his spiel, that my mind was made up. That he was not honoring that absolutely infuriated me. I ended up calling him an ** -- but trust me I was only speaking the truth.

"I understand you're upset", he said. "Really?" I asked, "Why do you suppose that is?" "Because your premium went up, I understand that." "No, it's because you are not doing what I'm asking. I asked you at least 3 times to cancel the policy. It's my choice and my decision. You do not have the right to keep trying to pressure me, and it's not going to work. Cancel the policy -- now!" "But ma'am --" And on and on and on. I'm telling you, it was unbelievable. Finally he said he was "in the process" of cancelling the policy, but just had one more thing he had to tell me, one more option available to me. I told him I didn't want to hear it, and he insisted that he had to tell me, so that I could "make a decision"!!! By now I'm practically screaming at him. "I've MADE my decision!! It's your job to honor it and not try to sell me any more crap!"

The kicker is when he finally said the policy was cancelled, but that he just HAD to tell me that I'm "making a very ill-informed decision" and implied that I don't know what's best for my cat. If we'd been in the same room I probably would have leapt over the desk and throttled him. At one point I reminded him that the call was being recorded "for quality assurance purposes". I said, "So this is your company's idea of quality customer service? Hounding and pressuring people? Not providing the service that they want and are asking for?"

24PetWatch is a terrible company. STAY CLEAR!! PS -- regarding his telling me that I hadn't requested to change my coverage level "during the renewal period", I didn't even have the presence of mind to tell him that NOWHERE in the policy renewal booklet that they sent me did it explain the reason for the premium increase, nor, and most importantly, did it say that UNLESS YOU CHANGE COVERAGE LEVELS DURING THE RENEWAL PERIOD, any conditions that were previously covered will be considered pre-existing. And that omission can only be purposeful on their part. That's why they are a sleazy organization that cares nothing for the animals they supposedly serve.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I have a nine year old dog. A Chihuahua. Have been paying 24PetWatch $53.00 a month for pet insurance. I received a letter that for the same coverage I need to pay $166.00 a month now. How can they raise my premium this high? I called and was informed a new underwriting company came up with the figure of what the same coverage I had is now that I would have to pay. Premiums to screw the loyal customer that has been paying for years??? I would love to join a class action suit against this thieving business. How can I possibly get decent coverage for my dog just turning 10 now? I cannot afford this. Do not join this company.

Original review: June 28, 2017

My experience with 24PetWatch Pet Insurance has been pretty much top notch. I have been with this company for almost 10 years. There was a period when there were delays in completing claims and payment but within the past several months I have been extremely pleased with their customer service, the timely manner that my claims were completed and payment made.

This pet insurance has been a life saver for my 16 year old kitty who has many complicated medical conditions for which, with the Champion Care Policy that we have, has covered everything that we have submitted. We are very pleased with the scope of coverage that we have. We have two other young cats covered by 24PetWatch Insurance, who are very healthy, and the annual wellness exams are covered. I am very pleased with their service and have no hesitation in recommending this company.

Original review: June 22, 2017

I adopted a healthy dog from the shelter. We were told to bring her to the vet the first week we got her, healthy visit. Not covered. Then 3 weeks later she got colitis, not covered. I contacted 24PetWatch twice asking why nothing was covered and this is what I was told. "That policy gives coverage for accidents effective the first day of coverage. There are also several illnesses eligible for reimbursement effective the 3rd day of coverage and effective the 31st day, any illness and any accident (as long as it is not pre-existing) would be eligible for reimbursements. The particular claim you submitted was not covered because it fell during the waiting period". Pointless and a waste of money. So I canceled. No point in getting insurance if you don't cover my dog.

Original review: June 14, 2017

Where to start? Lousy customer service, shady adjusters who deny claims that should be paid, unconscionable rate hikes for loyal customers who have gone years and never filed a claim. These are all common themes. This company seriously needs a good independent audit to find out what's going on. There is something VERY wrong here. Animal shelters: Please stop offering these complimentary policies to your adopters. YOU ARE SETTING YOUR CLIENTS UP FOR DISASTER WITH THESE PEOPLE. Also, for any who are frustrated by this company, there is now a Facebook group. Please see "24 Petwatch Dissatisfied Customers".

Original review: June 8, 2017

I have carried insurance with 24PetWatch Pet Insurance for over 11 years with modest increases throughout the years. Today I received my bill and the monthly increase from $30.50 a month to $64.06 a month! There was no explanation of the outrageous increase outside of they recently did a review of the premiums. I've shopped insurance for my dog within the last two years and found my prior rate to be in line with other companies. For them to now say or think they have been under charging is beyond uncomprehensible. SHAME ON YOU! Needless to say, I will be shopping for new insurance again along with other the other people that just received their increase and are writing the same reviews.

Original review: May 26, 2017

This review concerns the microchip (not insurance): My dog has a 24PetWatch microchip, placed by the shelter we adopted him from. There was an error in the initial registration submitted by the shelter, but 24PetWatch will not fix the mistake without a membership fee -- thus, if my dog goes missing, the microchip is basically worthless. Clearly they are not actually interested in helping to find lost pets (unless you pay their membership fee). Would not recommend for microchip.

Original review: May 11, 2017

I have been a customer for 6 years. I paid 40 dollars a month for my healthy dog. In those 6 years I did not file one claim. My rates were quadrupled without notice, to 153 dollars per month. The explanation I received was that they needed to remain solvent in the insurance market. This company does not care about any of us or our pets. I am one of the lucky ones. My dog does not have a pre-existing condition and I can easily move on to another company. I feel for those with pets that do have pre-existing conditions that will make it hard for them to leave this soulless company. I am happy to have cancelled my account.

Original review: May 4, 2017

I have had this insurance for almost a year and have never had to use it till now. I called in to ask a few questions about what I needed to do and what my deductible is and the person on the other end can't tell you his name because he had so much gum or food in his mouth that I couldn't understand him. He kept muting the phone and took forever to answer my questions. He acted like I was bothering him. I hung up and called back and got him again and asked to speak to a supervisor he why I told him I thought he was a horrible CSR and he put me on hold and came back and told me that no supervisor was available. I call BS to that! I worked customer service before and there are always more than 2 supervisors available. On top of that they upped my monthly premiums to over $40.00. It's an increase of almost 15.00 a month more. Horrible - I am done with them!

Original review: April 25, 2017

I gave one star because it won't let me leave it at no stars. This company is a scam. They doubled my rates and did not tell me. I'm paying almost a car payment a month for two dogs. I never got a letter, a call, and email or anything else. I should have been the one to confirm or deny this increase. I will be canceling and now they won't give me my money back since I never agreed to that. I am so disgusted with such behavior from a company. Please do not use them for pet insurance. Do your hw and research before choosing an insurance. When they were Purina care, they were perfect. Now they take forever with claims and never give back the amount promised. I'm tired of throwing my money away to them. They should be shut down.

24PetWatch Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

24Petwatch is a company that specializes in pet protection services. The company is headquartered in Buffalo, New York.

• Variety of services: 24Petwatch does not only offer pet insurance; it also offers lost pet recovery services such as microchip pet registration, pet identification and pet recovery tips.

• Services for dogs and cats: The company will cover both dogs and cats, so pet owners can insure both types of pets.

• Unlimited number of accidents: The company will cover an unlimited number of accidents or illnesses, as long as the amount of payment is under the coverage limit.

• Free quotes: Pet owners do not have to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services, since 24PetWatch offers pet owners free, no-obligation quotes.

• No limits on vet selection: Pet owners can take their pet to any vet of their choosing.

• Best for: Pet owners with dogs and cats, pet owners with loyalty to a vet and pet owners with active, or rambunctious pets.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky

www.24petwatch.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use