1.26/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

176 24PetWatch Pet Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 8, 2019

My Pug has been insured for 13 years; since she was a puppy. No claims in the beginning, but as she aged she developed skin allergies and is prone to bladder and ear infections. 24Pet has always paid my claims as explained in policy. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about 24PetWatch, other than I wish pet insurance was less expensive. They have actually helped me out quite a bit since my dog is so high maintenance.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I actually quite like them. When I first started with them, they would send back the claim money before my credit card bill came in. Now it takes much longer. They were quite good to me back when I had a dog with CHF. He maxed out the Cardiovascular coverage and when another procedure had to be done in his abdomen, caused by the CHF, they switched it over to the GI coverage for me. I really appreciated that. The only thing I’m not too happy with is the monthly payment goes up every year or so, even though I have had very few claims as my dog is healthy.

24PetWatch Pet Insurance response

Thanks for the feedback and kind words, Carol!

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I had a very good experience so far with 24PetWatch (was SPCA insurance in Ontario, Canada)... very grateful for their coverage as I had to cover nearly 16,000$ for eye surgeries just after my pup turned 1 year old... they covered to the limit as written in the policy without any issue and in a timely manner. I have been treated well with each and every claim submission and this has been an unexpectedly bad year medically for my pups... I am so pleasantly surprised by the support that I have received during this tough time and I highly recommend them.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I was over billed $124.00 that I have since paid just so I don’t have to deal with these people. I was put through about six people and no one could see the charges. They could only see the insurance charge that I have since canceled. No one there could comprehend that my email bill confirmation total and what my actual card was charged were different. I was billed double for the pet collar and the lifetime. After arguing with one man who said he’d cancel everything and then calling back to talk to someone more humane, those charges still remained and I received two pet collars. They don’t know what they’re doing and just don’t give a damn. I hope they treat animals better than they do people because their customer care skills are severely lacking. Stay away if you can. I will update this review if my dog goes missing and they suck there too.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I adopted 2 puppies from a local shelter which provided information on 24 hour pet watch. I sent the vet statement after obtaining this insurance and even though both pups had exactly the same vaccinations, wellness exams and paperwork, I was reimbursed different amounts as I was told by representative two different adjusters processed my claims. The reimbursement is dismally low. I feel sorry for the people handling the phone calls. I found them sweet and helpful but they have no authority to do the right thing. The company however leaves me with the feeling of being duped. Fool me once, shame on you, there won’t be another opportunity. I wish I would have read the reviews before signing up. Next steps include cancelling my policies and contacting BBB.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24PetWatch Pet Insurance?

Original review: May 3, 2019

24PetWatch is the absolute worse pet insurance company & I consider their service a complete scam. Rip off!!! They have no problem taking your money every month. When it comes to submitting a claim for pet insurance, they make the process as difficult as possible...Doing every trick to deny the claim. Do not waste your money with this terrible company.

Original review: March 16, 2019

We had to leave our cat 13,000 miles behind in southern California as she went missing on 02/25/15. Before we left our vacation spot we left contact information with neighbors that will be there longer. When we got home we also called 24PetWatch with the chip number from records we had at home. We were ask to pay $21.95 with the assurance that we would be contacted if our cat chip is ever scanned. Our missing cat info was put online on their website with our contact info.

In a couple of weeks our cat started visiting the RV site we were staying and we were contacted by neighbors. The neighbors contacted a animal shelter at our request to pick her up and have her return to us. About March 10th when our cat was being picked up our contact information was giving to and we talked to the lady on the phone. She went through the process too so our cat can be fly home on a plane. We got her three days later on March 14.

I went online on March 15 to report that our cat was recovered. We were surprised to find out that our found cat wasn't in our list of pets. We called their 24 phone number and was told that they transfer ownership to the shelter worker and she was no longer our cat. We were told that in order to transfer ownership back to us we would have to download a transfer form and pay another $21.95. Then we would have to visit a vet to prove we have her and have the shelter worker sign off on it.

We were totally shocked and couldn't even sleep last night knowing that our pet could of been giving away without our knowledge. When they transfer ownership of our cat no one from 24PetWatch called us or email us to sign off the transfer as we wouldn't of as that cat is part of our family. The way 24PetWatch protected our pet is anyone can snatch our pet from our yard and gain owner ownership by filling out a downloadable form and paying $21.95. That makes their microchip program worthless.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I wish I would have read reviews before signing up with them. Worst experience I ever had with Insurance company. I paid higher monthly payments to have higher insurance coverage. My puppy had accident where she slipped and hit her leg, she could not walk and was crying so thought she has broken her leg. Took her to Emergency Hospital since that was late Sunday night. Had to pay $290 for visit and given medications and pain killers. Tried to submit claim on 24PetWatch Pet Insurance website and system would not work, unable to add any attachments. Emailed support, nobody responded to my first emails, had to email multiple times, finally somebody responded to me and said "please submit claim online by attaching documents"!

Had to email several times again and asked them at least read the actual message. They did help and placed claim from their end. 2 weeks later received a decision, claim denied as Emergency hospital would not verify my claim!!! When I called Emergency Hospital they advised me nobody reached out to them regards my puppy's injury. Contacted 24PetWatch Insurance again, they gave me reassessment form to complete. It has been 2 weeks, had to call them again and was told it takes 22 business days for reassessment to be reviewed! I am out, cancelled insurance and going to a different company. Very disrespectful and don't care about people at all. Don't waste your time on this. I only claiming $300, what would happen if that would be several thousand $$ claim?? Absolutely shocking. Also will submit official complaint to BBB and NAIC, sounds very much like a scam to me. Denying claims based on a thin air.

Hi Ruta,

We are sorry to hear of your frustration in having your claim processed. In order for us to process claims, we require complete medical history for your pet. If your history has been provided along with your reassessment, we will be able to process and provide you with a claim outcome. We hope Ivy is doing well.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

A small dog followed me home. I called this company's number which was a tag on her collar and after being put on hold for 10 minutes, spoke to a representative of this company. They assured me they would contact the owner. After an hour I called our local police dept who initiated a pick up by the owner within minutes. The pet owner said he had never received a called from this company. I told him they were useless and thank goodness he called the police dept instead of relying on this stupid PetWatch company. In my opinion, this company is nothing more than a scam to obtain information from people, for some, obvious monetary gain.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I had my cat microchipped at a shelter. The shelter misspelled my name when they registered the microchip for me. I cannot change my name through 24PetWatch's website. I emailed them THREE TIMES with ZERO response. I can't make phone calls during their business hours due to my work and class schedules, and time zone differences. I had to register the microchip with another, totally free, totally transparent service. I should not have to do this. Having the microchip registered with more than one service with different information can cause major issues when a lost pet is found if the finder is not careful to determine which information is the most up to date.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

They hard sell you into a trial policy (high end) with no follow up. They claimed they sent a copy of policy I never received. They make the claims process almost impossible. If you call them, they will simply repeat and repeat that everything was disclosed during the call. They are right - you are wrong period. Don’t under any circumstances sign up for insurance with this company.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

DO NOT USE THEM!!! They keep hiding behind rules and policies that they make up after the fact. They are way far behind in the ease of posting claims to their websites unlike other insurance companies. Also the microchip that’s in your dog or cat from them is crap. They want you to have insurance from them to change the info. It sounds like a bait and switch to me. NONE of my animals other than my other dog that has this microchip has a cost to change info. Like other people said use a different site to add them to your profile. Also when they talk on the phone its sounds like a scam. Also they aren't BBB accredited!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

RE-REGISTER YOUR PETS WITH ** (or both). You can enter your animal's chip information and freely update the information (such as new address) without paying for it. Those two services are what microchipping is all about - making sure pets make it back home if they are lost. DO NOT USE 24PETWATCH. I have 3 dogs - 2 microchipped with 24PetWatch. I live in a rental house and have moved a few times since adopting my dogs. I was quite angry to discover that the only way I can change/update the address on my dogs' chips is to pay their absurd fee for a lifetime membership.

I understand completely that companies need to make money, but that is what their insurance side is for, not their basic pet microchipping. The real kicker here is that I was considering getting pet insurance for all 3 of my dogs through them, but have changed my mind now that I know that I cannot even updated my address without giving them a huge chunk of money. SHAME ON YOU, 24PetWatch. You are not protecting and saving animals, you are taking advantage of pet owners. I am sincerely disappointed, and frankly disgusted.

24PetWatch Pet Insurance response

Hi Vanessa, Any microchip registered with 24PetWatch comes with our basic service, which uses only your email & phone # to facilitate lost pet recovery, never your physical address. It includes unlimited free access to change these two pieces of contact info at any time. We do not use your address for lost pet efforts and are never needed to reunite you with your pet. A customer may elect to purchase a membership (as lows as $21.95) which does then give you access to add/change additional info.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

We adopted a puppy from a shelter. They proceeded a code for a 30 day free trial of pet insurance from this company. I registered and have the receipt showing $0.00 Charged however they DID in fact charge my card the full monthly amount. The charge is still "pending" so I cannot dispute it through my bank yet. I am calling on no day to cancel the policy due to this unethical practice as well as due to these other reviews I just read. My bank offers discounted pet insurance through a more reputable and better rated company at the same cost, we will go with that. Can't wait to see how horrible the cancellation process is going to be. Don't waste your time or money on the NOT FREE free trial.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

We adopted two kittens and received a 30 day free trial for both kittens. When I called to set the insurance up, they said they wouldn't charge my card until the 30 day free trial was up. I confirmed with the lady twice that she wouldn't charge my card until November 19, 2018. Then, a few days later I notice that around $280 was charged on my credit card. I called 24PetWatch and the person I spoke advised that this was a human error and that he would call me back in 3-5 days to ensure I received a refund. I never received a response so I emailed them to cancel.

The email said I would receive a response within 48 hours. Again, no response. So I called last Friday and the person I spoke to said that the payment was not an error, that's how annual pay works. Then she asked if I wanted to go on monthly pay. I told her just to cancel both policies. She confirmed that the cancellations were processed and I would receive a refund within 7 days. It has been 7 days and nothing. If you adopt a pet and they offer you a free trial through 24PetWatch, don't bother! I am in insurance and this is not how customer service works. When someone says a refund should be sent to you within a certain amount of time or they will contact you within a certain number of days, they should.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

My family and I rescued a dog from Savannah Humane Society. I sign up for the free trial services for the insurance. Upon looking at my account the next day, I notice that they put a hold on my account for more than authorized. I called and canceled the policy. The lady said I would be refunded my money. I never received the refund. The next month came around, they charged my account again making my account negative. I called and was told I would be refunded the money plus service fee and also be refunded for the other month. I was only refunded for the new charge minus the service fee. I am planning to call the rescue and advise them to use a new company for microchips.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

When I adopted a puppy several friends recommended getting pet insurance for the first year of her life. I read reviews for several companies and spoke on the phone with a couple about different coverage options and decided to go with 24PetWatch. Here is where they went wrong: Submitting claims is not as easy as I would like and they weren't able to set up access for my vet so the vet clinic could submit claims for me like human health insurance. Many other pet insurance companies make this easy. I was unable to deposit their checks using my mobile banking app for some reason. I had just moved to Maine from Wyoming where the bank I use does not exist so mobile deposit was my only option. I spoke to 24PetWatch on the phone and they set up direct deposit for me and reissued the payment that I couldn't mobile deposit. However, months later, after submitting several other claims, I still hadn't seen a single deposit from 24PetWatch.

Over the course of the past few months I spoke with several representatives who said they would reissue the 4 payments I was waiting on, but still nothing. I have now had this policy for almost a year and have spent almost $500 on the premiums but haven't seen a single dime back. Today I canceled my policy and supposedly the agent reissued the checks, my 3rd try to get paid, and for some reason they couldn't manage to get the direct deposit to work so I will have to mail the checks back to Wyoming to get them deposited in my account. The 24PetWatch agents were always very friendly and polite but I am appalled and really upset and do not recommend this insurance company.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

We found a dog and got it scanned. The 800-number was called. They wouldn't tell us where the owners were so that the dog could be delivered. We cannot just keep the dog because we have no room (and this was explained to them). The young person at the call center hung up when a supervisor was asked for. Based on the insurance reviews, I wouldn't be surprised if the "protection services" were a scam, too! The dog is cute, friendly, small, and middle-aged. We don't want to have to dump it at a shelter, but we already have dogs of our own and cannot add more.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

We adopted a puppy from a shelter. The adoption came with 30 days of pet insurance provided free of charge. We registered online for our pet insurance and the company claims they have no record of it. I spoke with multiple people who said they would get it fixed for me. They then said that a manager needed to give me a call right back. The manager failed to ever call me and nothing has been fixed. This should not be this difficult to receive the services that were supposed to be included as part of my adoption fee.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I enrolled in the free trial plus an additional wellness plan coverage for my newly rescued dog. 24PetWatch is refusing to reimburse me for my dog's wellness exam items, Lyme vaccine and her skin condition treatments. Apparently while trying to enroll me, representative explained skin conditions were one of 12 immediately covered conditions while today rep told me it's not dermatitis so it falls into an item that needs a longer waiting period for eligibility. In short, it's not worth your time or money to debate 24PetWatch's deceptive consumer practices and don't count on any assurances given upon making enrollment decisions. I'm lucky I only lost $12.50 as I've cancelled and cut my losses. But everyone please be aware as this company seems to prey upon families who have adopted rescue animals.

Hi Kristin,

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. We try hard to communicate what's covered and what is not. If we fell short, we sincerely apologize. Please give us another chance to make it right!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I recently adopted 2 cats from a rescue organization in Georgia and the 24 Pet Watch chips are the ones they were microchipped with. I called the company to register my name and information because I was having trouble doing it on the website. The girl informed me that I needed buy a "lifetime" membership at a cost of $84.95 per cat. I went ahead and gave them my CC number which they immediately charged. They promised me several items which they promptly e-mailed to me. However, when I attempted to use one of the coupons they sent me, the store told me that it was a "third party coupon" and they don't accept those.

I called them back and explained this to them and that I would like to get it resolved or be issued a refund. I was told last week that someone would contact me by Friday, 9/28/18. I never heard back from anyone. I called them today demanding a refund -- spoke to a manager -- and was told he would call me back within the hour to let me know what was going on. I am still waiting on a return telephone call. These people are scammers. DO NOT USE. I fully intend to contact my credit card company and dispute the charges.

Hi Terri,

Please give us another chance. It sounds like there has been a miscommunication and we would like to resolve it with you. Please call us at

1-866-597-2424 and a team member will help you.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

We adopted two cats from a shelter and were told we needed to get this insurance for 30 days free in order to do it. We were in turn charged when we told them that we did not want the insurance after the free 30 day trial. They charged anyway and won't give our money back. We have disputed with our CC company as a result. Just passing on info to others to beware of this company. They are not an honest company.

Hi D.

We are sorry to hear of your poor experience. We strive to provide clear communications around the trial of insurance. Your feedback is important and we hope you give us an opportunity to make it right. Please call at 866-597-2424 and one of our team members will gladly assist you.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I submitted every invoice, medical history, and documents that they asked for when submitting a claim. A full MONTH later they send out an automatic email that they are waiting to hear from my Vet office. I check the claim status and it reads "$448.66 submitted amount - $0.00 paid." I call and they said they couldn't get the examination notes from the Vet office. I asked if they just emailed once and tried to call once and then just closed the claim and she said yes. She also said that should be mostly up to ME to provide and get these documents. I told her I submitted everything I've received from the Vet and nowhere did they request I contact the vet to get any more documents. I've never had an insurance company tell me that I need to do literally 100% of the work. Useless company that just wants to take your money. Do NOT recommend.

Hi Tristen,

Very sorry to hear about your experience. Please give our team members an opportunity to help explain the claims process. Please call us at 866-597-2424.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I don’t know what to say except that these guys were good before they got bought out. Now I’m stuck with the new owners because my dogs are seniors with preexisting conditions. I’d still probably be better off without insurance rather than these criminals. I have a gold plan and somehow they find a way to deny EVERYTHING. They typically pay me $60 out of $800 in claims. It’s a joke. Go with anyone else!

Original review: June 28, 2018

Awful! These people are con artist. Im pretty sure this is not even a legit company. They take money but offer no service in return. Simple claims get denied for ** reasons that make no sense. The adjusters, that basically have a job because of us are a bunch of twats. Oh they claim they are trained vet techs. ** they dont even know how to read medical records and cant comprehend why a dog would need a certain treatment or medication. They make any excuse to not pay a claim. Most of the reasons are ridiculous, half ** excuses. They have no problem taking money out of your bank! However when and if they do accept a claim they never send the money. These people are not legit. Stay away. This is no piece of mind for your pet. They have caused me nothing but grief from the first claim I submitted. If I just put the money that I pay these cons every month aside. My vet bills would be paid. Dont fall for this **.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I was told that I would have to upgrade one of our cat's policies in order to have a recently diagnosed illness covered. Being concerned about it then being considered a pre-existing condition, I asked specifically about that and was told, "Not, it would be covered because you have had the cat insured with us all along." That was not true and the claim was rejected immediately and after a review. Buyer beware. If you aren't sure, ask for it in writing (though I'm not sure if that would help). We now have Figo Pet Insurance and are quite happy with it.

Original review: June 12, 2018

When I was signing up for my pet's insurance the phone operator was professional and nice. Three months later I had received a letter saying that I am no longer covered effective March 30, a couple of days after I had signed my pet up. They claimed it was due to no payments, but my credit card statements say that I paid three consecutive months of $48! Why was my pet's insurance ineffective 4 days after I signed him up when I paid the $48 over the phone? Wouldn't recommend 24PetWatch because they take your money and try not to reimburse you when you're submitting claims.

Original review: May 22, 2018

This was the company that was used when I adopted my dog and I've always logged in yearly and updated my information and my pet's information along with a photo. When I logged in this year my pet wasn't registered under my account. I called and they said he was registered under a different account and I need to pay them a transfer of ownership fee to have him under my account. They stated that the microchip number associated with my pet was never under my account. That can't be so because like I said previously I've been logging in for years now and updating his profile. I have all the forms from when I registered him originally with the company which I will be sending into them. But I have registered my pet on other free registry websites as well to be safe. Their customer service representatives were rude and refused to do anything unless I pay them.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I adopted my dog from a Humane Society two years ago. She came with a microchip associated with 24PetWatch so I registered her chip with my information on the (at the time) free to use database. After a year, we moved and I updated our information with no problem. A couple days ago I received an email saying "When you had [dog's name] microchipped, you received free pet protection services from 24PetWatch. But did you know that you can benefit from our premium pet protection services with a Lifetime Protection Membership?" Just a promotional ad, but whatever, it reminded me I needed to update my address since I moved again. So I go to do so and turns out, my account "is currently locked for editing. Please select a membership plan to edit your information"... which is apparently $85.

ALSO I noticed that my information on record had reverted back to the original address I registered with. Thought that was strange, so I decided to test something. I logged out and then used my dogs microchip number to run a "found pet" search. The search was submitted to the company, leaving them responsible to contact me that somebody has found my "lost" dog. I have NOT been contacted (only my address has changed so contacting me should not be an issue).

So apparently 24PetWatch is no longer free like the email says, but literally the most expensive microchip database I have found. So if you're in my boat and have a pet microchipped with 24PetWatch, I would highly suggest registering your info with a different database (or two) so that you don't have to rely on them alone. I would also like to point out that there is no universal microchip database so it wouldn't hurt to register your pets on multiple databases just to be safe anyways.

Original review: April 11, 2018

The shelter that I adopted my kitten from sent this company the wrong email address so I had to call to correct it and get him registered. When I googled the company to get the web address this was the second search result that came up and I got a sinking feeling when I saw the awful reviews and expected difficulty in getting my information corrected. I don't know if I got lucky or they are trying to fix customer service but my experience was positive.

I explained the email situation to the customer rep and she reset my account and took the microchip number and associated it with my account. She asked me if I was interested in their live operator recovery service in the case that my pet is lost (for a fee) or was I comfortable in using the self-service automated system through email. I said I was comfortable with self-service and she asks for authorization to contact in the event that microchip was scanned. She asked me if I was aware of their pet insurance policies and I told her that I was able to get similar coverage through my husband's employer at a discounted rate. She asked that I double check to make sure that the coverage was comparable and if I felt that I could get a better plan through them to feel free to call back for a quote. I had absolutely no hard sell for insurance or to enroll in the monitoring service. My agent was helpful and polite.

Overall it was a positive experience and a relief because I was expecting a hassle based on these reviews. I will admit that I did not sign up for a trial nor have I had to deal with a claim but I felt that the process for the microchip registry was simple and pleasant. Hopefully, others will have an experience more like my own. I gave it a four star rating rather than a five because I only dealt with one aspect of their services. I have no complaints about the service I received.

24PetWatch Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

24Petwatch is a company that specializes in pet protection services. The company is headquartered in Buffalo, New York.

• Variety of services: 24Petwatch does not only offer pet insurance; it also offers lost pet recovery services such as microchip pet registration, pet identification and pet recovery tips.

• Services for dogs and cats: The company will cover both dogs and cats, so pet owners can insure both types of pets.

• Unlimited number of accidents: The company will cover an unlimited number of accidents or illnesses, as long as the amount of payment is under the coverage limit.

• Free quotes: Pet owners do not have to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services, since 24PetWatch offers pet owners free, no-obligation quotes.

• No limits on vet selection: Pet owners can take their pet to any vet of their choosing.

• Best for: Pet owners with dogs and cats, pet owners with loyalty to a vet and pet owners with active, or rambunctious pets.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky