1.54/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

24PetWatch Pet Insurance

Need a pet insurance provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

24PetWatch Pet Insurance Reviews

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I have been working with 24PetWatch for 7 years now.

I. MY DOG, BELLA

I have a "rescue dog", Bella, now 7-1/2 years old who has unfortunately had a series of terrible medical problems. (This has been a "first" for me. In 50 years, all of my dogs have been healthy.) First, she was hit by a car and required emergency surgery to save that leg; cost was $3,000. Three years later, she was found to have severe bilateral hip dysplasia. 24petwach covered almost all of her $6,000+ surgical bill. Two years after that, she slid on ice and tore the ligaments in her front legs. A metal plate was placed in her right front leg for a cost of $4,000 (?). (The orthopedic surgeon vet recommended against bilateral plates because she was already fairly crippled.)

As a result of these surgeries, Bella has developed pretty severe arthritis. 24petwatch has paid for her to have as much acupuncture and chiropractic adjustments as she needs, as well as an extremely expensive pain medication (the only one she can tolerate) which costs $5/day. In addition, she has been to the Pet ER twice for emergencies -- one was a GI bleed cause by NSAIDs (the usual pain medicine used for arthritis in dogs); and once for respirations of 200/minute, which turned out to be caused by extreme arthritic pain. Each visit was $1,000. [The "classic" insurance which I've had for the past two years even covers a PET AMBULANCE, if necessary!!!]

I estimate that 24petwatch has spent around $25,000 on Bella (less the $250 deductible I pay each year -- i.e., $1,500 + the 20% copays -- around $4,000 = $5,500). Thus total by them is at least $20,000. I originally began my insurance policy for around $40/month = $480/year X 5 years ($2,400) and increased it their maximum coverage of $20,000/year at around $80/month X 2 years ($1,920) -- thus a total of $4,320 for 7 years. Thus, subtracting the cost of the (top quality premiums) from the $20,000 they have paid = $15,000 paid by them. There is absolutely NO way I could have ever afforded that $15,000 in care. I would have had to have Bell put to sleep years ago. Because of 24petwatch, I have had 7 joyful years with The Best Dog in the World. <3

II. MY CAT, MINNOW

I also had an amazing resue kitty named Minnow. She was THE sweetest cat I have ever known. Tragically, she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at almost age 4. Every single bill for her care was paid by 24petwatch including, amazingly, hospice care and cremation. The hospice vet was extraordinarily kind and visited daily for over a week. She taught me how to care for Minnow at home. When she finally had to put Minnow to sleep, it was in my arms and the most gentle death one can imagine. (Her insurance was very little. She had the same deductible as Bella -- i.e., $250.)

IN SUMMARY: With all of the new veterinarian treatments now available for our beloved 4-legged family member, it has been a tremendous blessing to me to know that virtually every treatment needed WILL BE PAID by this wonderful company. Working with them is a blessing, as well: every person with whom I have spoken have been compassionate and courteous.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I got 24petwatch insurance for my pug when he was 6 months old. He is now 4. This insurance company was recommended to me through my teachers union perks. 24Petwatch has always paid my claims as explained in policy. I haven't experienced 1 issue with them and I have submitted over 10 claims in the past 4 years from serious issues to minor issues. They have an online portal where all I have to do is upload a copy of the vet bill and click submit. Within days, I am notified my claim has been processed and a check is in the mail. I recommend this insurance company to everyone who has a dog, especially if the breed is prone to certain medical conditions. It is cheaper to get in on a policy the younger the dog is. It is very easy and user-friendly, no hidden gimmicks. This insurance company has saved me a lot of money with my vet bills. I highly recommend.

24PetWatch Pet Insurance response

Hi Wendy, thanks for your review! We're happy to hear that you are pleased with the claim submission process and that your pug has access to the vet care he needs. Paws up!

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: June 27, 2019

Wonderful Pet Insurance!! We have insured two Newfoundlands with them and have used them for years. It was upsetting to me all the bad reviews I saw very unfair. We lost our second Newfie in March. She had many many health issues the last two years. They never once ask me for more info or denied a claim. They also covered alternative Ozone treatment towards the end to help her organs function more efficiently. It gave us 6 more months of a happy healthy dog we would not have had otherwise. They covered her meds, even some of the supplements for her kidneys and most of the cost of the euthanasia in the end. We are getting a new Newfie puppy in a few weeks and I will definitely use them again. All of our dogs have been certified therapy dogs and worked at the local hospital, airport and with the crisis response team. They make it very easy to file claims online and were always processed in a timely manner and credited to my bank account.

Original review: April 8, 2019

My Pug has been insured for 13 years; since she was a puppy. No claims in the beginning, but as she aged she developed skin allergies and is prone to bladder and ear infections. 24Pet has always paid my claims as explained in policy. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about 24PetWatch, other than I wish pet insurance was less expensive. They have actually helped me out quite a bit since my dog is so high maintenance.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Good luck trying to cancel your policy. My girlfriend called a week ago to cancel. They still charged her card and said the account is not cancelled. I called to cancel it again (my name is on the account too) and they won't let me cancel it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24PetWatch Pet Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Our dog had gotten out, a person found him and locked him in a wrong yard in error (he was going out of town). He called and filed a report the dog had been found, but we weren't notified until almost 2 hours after his report was made. Our information is up to date and accurate, so it's ridiculous that we canvassed a neighborhood, woods, and a nearby highway, when in actuality he had already been located. Luckily the yard he was secured in, the owner wasn't home, because they own a pit bull, so a nasty dog fight would have likely ensued. But he needlessly waited in that yard for nearly 2 hours until we were notified by an automated call he had been found.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Can’t even get into account to update information after moving 15 hrs away. This microchip company is a rip off. DO NOT USE. They either require a monthly charge or a huge lifetime charge to even access your account JUST TO UPDATE INFO ON YOUR PET. They care nothing about your pet just MONEY.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

I have had this service for my dog since she was a puppy. The smaller claims that I have submitted have been paid with no issues, but I have had a larger one outstanding for a while and this company is doing EVERYTHING they can to try to delay and deny paying the claim, needing useless documentation that have ZERO to do with her current claim. My dog has had no other health issues until now and that is why I have kept the insurance on her, for when she does need it. It is extremely disappointing that they are making pet owners who have paid premiums for a long time jump through hoops like this.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

We had to take our dog back to the SPCA because she bit our daughter, and they told us that they were probably going to put her down because she'd already been returned once for a bite. I was heartbroken, so I asked my husband to cancel the policy. 24PetWatch refuses to let my husband cancel the policy, so that they can keep charging us. It's a smack in the face every time we get auto-debited for a dog which is probably dead.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I purchased insurance from this company June 26 2019 since it was recommended from the rescue adoption service where we got our puppy. The date we got our puppy from the rescue was June 22, 2019 and he was apx 10 weeks old. If you are like us, we wanted to quickly have a vet check him out, and get started on his puppy wellness program. Here is where the frustration started and why i say buyer beware. UNDERSTAND EVERY WORD IN THE CONTRACT AND ASK LOST OF WHAT IF'S BEFORE BUYING! They make it very difficult to get a claim completed or approved and use every loophole in the contract against you. Timeline below with my experience details.

1. This was the first time we've ever bought insurance for any of our pets. Since he was from a kill shelter from New Mexico and certain diseases are more common there and we thought puppies can get themselves into situations needing more care, we thought lets give this a try.
      2. While listening to the sales pitch from 24Pet watch i can honestly say I didn't really understand ALL the loopholes THIS company created to get out of a claim for themselves.
      3. 1st claim for june 27th vet visit we turned in from the vet was for the following, canine leptospirosis $28.75 they didn't cover, heartguard $7.52 they didnt cover, and fecal screen $40.25 they did cover to their max coverage amount $15.00. I had sent in the invoice with the details and they paid as noted above. 4.The next vet visit July 22 we did an advance purchase from the vet for their wellness series which gave us 10% off. When i submitted the the invoice which showed $0.00 for each service but it had the total for the service. I referred to the vets listed price sheet and they conditionally paid.
      5. Next wellness visit i followed the same as above. Since i had paid for the service in previous visit they wouldn't accept an invoice with $0.00 on it and tie the services to the vets program service costs. After multiple phone calls and emails, apx 4 hours of my time and requests for reassessment they finally paid for the wellness as they should have. When i say BUYER beware, they make it VERY difficult to get a claim paid.
      6. Our puppy in August started vomiting and after 12 times we rushed him into an emergency clinic. We thought great, we've got coverage. Fortunately it all worked out and Teddy is doing well. The next day i sent in the emergency invoice and emergency doctor notes. They denied the claim because they didn't have his FULL hand written soap notes the vet/doctor made in his records for EVERY visit from back in June. So again i had to go thru hoops, calls, emails, etc to get all this info, and file a reassessment of the original claim. After that was all said and done they did pay appropriately.

7. We needed in October to have 2 canine puppy teeth removed and an umbilical hernia fixed. The vet felt lets do these at the same time to be less stressful for Teddy. We scheduled the surgery. After the surgery i sent in the invoice of which i had the vet break down everything separately based on what i thought would be helpful for 24 pet watch, got his soap notes, and sent the claim in. NEXT MAJOR BUYER BEWARE: There are waiting periods. Since the vet noted the umbilical hernia back in June in his soap notes, and the waiting period is 30 days, that meant it is a preexisting condition AND THEY WILL NOT PAY ANYTHING NOT EVEN THE BLOOD WORK TESTS!

So had we waited for 30 days to bring him to the vet to start wellness, we maybe would have gotten the surgery paid but I bet they have a loophole in their contract for that too.

24PetWatch Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

24Petwatch is a company that specializes in pet protection services. The company is headquartered in Buffalo, New York.

• Variety of services: 24Petwatch does not only offer pet insurance; it also offers lost pet recovery services such as microchip pet registration, pet identification and pet recovery tips.

• Services for dogs and cats: The company will cover both dogs and cats, so pet owners can insure both types of pets.

• Unlimited number of accidents: The company will cover an unlimited number of accidents or illnesses, as long as the amount of payment is under the coverage limit.

• Free quotes: Pet owners do not have to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services, since 24PetWatch offers pet owners free, no-obligation quotes.

• No limits on vet selection: Pet owners can take their pet to any vet of their choosing.

• Best for: Pet owners with dogs and cats, pet owners with loyalty to a vet and pet owners with active, or rambunctious pets.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky