24PetWatch Pet Insurance

Compare Pet Insurance Providers

Research top Pet Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Simone of Fort Wayne, IN on

24PetWatch always requires me to send in my cat's complete medical history with each claim. I have no problem with this but they keep saying they never received it. My vet and I both faxed in my cat's medical record multiple times the last time I made a claim. No one at 24PetWatch could find it. I missed a monthly payment so 24PetWatch sent me a letter asking for a money order to prevent the policy from being cancelled.

I sent them a money order as requested. Next thing I know, I get a letter in the mail saying my policy has been cancelled. When I called about it, they were like, "Oh yeah, we don't take money orders anymore"??? I never got my money order back either. Customer service is a joke. The reps say they will find out what is going on and call back but they never do. I would rather they just be honest and say they're not going to bother calling me back. Their website is not user friendly either. You can't find the claim form on there. I dare you to try.

Beverly of Middletown, RI on

I have had 24PetWatch insurance for my cat for several years. I originally had Purina insurance until the company was sold to 24PetWatch. I loved doing business with Purina. The customer service reps were the best. My cat has never been sick, but I had purchased the wellness plan along with the insurance with them. 24PetWatch paid every wellness claim in a timely manner and I was very happy. I recommended them to everyone. Now they have sold the company to North River Insurance Co. I have received a notice that my insurance is going from $309 a year to $1059 a year!!! That's over a 300% increase.

Needless to say, I will not be renewing my policy with them when it expires the end of February. I am in the process of trying to find another company with reasonable rates. When I obtained a quote from 24PetWatch this week on the internet (as though I were a new customer), I was given a quote of a little over $600 a year for the same coverage that they now want to charge me $1059. When I told the customer rep this, she denied that it was the same coverage, but it was. What's up with that? Maybe a scam???

Amy of Rosedale, MD on

I got the trial of this insurance for my cat when I adopted her from a local shelter. It's a complete joke. There's a 30-day waiting period for illnesses (conveniently, the trial is 30 days). My cat was diagnosed with a heart murmur about ten days after I got her, and there was no record of her having this prior to adopting her. I called to increase her coverage and see if they would cover her diagnosis and treatment, and they said no. It's not on the list of conditions covered by the trial, so they won't cover it.

It's also considered a "pre-existing condition" so they won't cover it if I increase her coverage, even though she's had a policy with them before we got the diagnosis. I fail to see the point in them giving anyone a "free trial" if they won't cover a sick animal for the duration of the trial. I'll be canceling the policy once my "free trial" is up. I really wish I'd gotten the cat a policy myself after I adopted her. Learn from my mistake and stay very far away from this company.

Josephine of Anaheim, CA on

PLEASE! PLEASE! DO NOT get this Horrible Insurance for your pet. My cat had surgery due to kidney stones. This horrible Insurance company did not pay a penny what so ever. When her benefits stated Xray/Surgery will be covered and she had coverage for $3,000. It took them 60 days to review the claim and were very rude over the phone when following up on the claim. It's like they care when you are enrolling with the company then when something happens to your pet they take FOREVER to review your claim and end up not paying for anything. So disappointed that we paid every month to this HORRIBLE Ins. company. Thank god for Care Credit! Really HORRIBLE and USELESS to have this pet Ins. They are NOT HELPFUL AT ALL!!!

MELISSA of Tampa, FL on

They use adoption agencies to get people to sign up for bogus insurance plans that cost the same as traditional plans but cover virtually nothing, create a TON of loopholes on how your claim has to be processed so that they can get out of paying it and then when you want to speak to a manager they take a message for someone to return your call within 3 business days! It takes 90 days for a claim to be processed, you have to file the claim within some ridiculously short time frame.

My 80 year old father was tricked into getting this at the adoption agency and has been paying over $40 a month for over a year and they have not reimbursed one claim when he has now spent thousands of dollars on his Sammy. I have VPI pet insurance and they have been wonderful. I have waited over a year to file a claim with VPI because my dog was sick and I have had other pressing priorities and they have still paid me in less than a week. Please do NOT be tricked by this company and their employees are completely apathetic.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24PetWatch Pet Insurance?

Roy of Willow Beach, ON on

We have had horrible experience with this company. When the very few times we needed them it took 3 months to get a claim. Called and waiting on hold for close to an hour, sometimes getting dropped and starting over... even their phones don't work. Then finally told that they have no claim in process or on file despite having the confirmation that they received it. Now they come up with an average 61% increase for our pets with just the normal policy book, but nothing specifically stating a policy increase. I have never seen a company operate like this... and the background underwriters have multiple names which makes one wonder why they need to hide under some many tents.

Susan of Vancouver, BC on

When I first got the policies for my 2 dogs they were okay but then things changed in June 2016. I was notified that my monthly rate of $121 was going to be raised to $250 because supposedly they weren't profitable. HUH? I voiced my opinion on that one. I told them no way and canceled both policies. But I had submitted a $135 claim to them in May 2016. OMG as of today it has not been paid. I have spoken to 5 different customer agents and each time I was told they were missing this or that form. Fine each time I complied with their request and was assured the claim would go through.

Today I still have not receive my $104 net payment so I called again. Now they're saying that the Vet didn't indicate a zero balance on my invoice even though it clearly states I paid on my Visa. I am so frustrated you have no idea. I told the supervisor to have the claims people there to call the vet. I owe them nothing. Anyway at this point I am done. Guess I lose the money but my blood pressure can't take any more of this. I will contact whoever I can as far as an insurance board, BBB or anyone else I can file a complaint to. So I highly recommend you seek insurance elsewhere because you will never see your claims paid.

Kelly of Middletown, NY on

I signed up for the free one month trial for my newly adopted pup, and after that read the reviews here on Consumer Affairs. Was very worried about being unable to cancel the trial and having my parent's credit card charged for an unwanted policy. However, I just spoke to them on the phone and was able to successfully cancel my free trial. I was transferred about 3 times, but I only spent a total 15 minutes on the phone before receiving a cancellation confirmation number.

Overall, I am quite happy with my experience with 24PetWatch so far, and would recommend new adopting families to sign up for the trial for just in case moments. So far, the two vet visits we've had, we can afford out of pocket, so I am not that concerned whether or not 24PetWatch reimburses us. I will be submitting two claims and will update my review once I find out whether or not we get our reimbursements. Should 24PetWatch reimburse my claims AND refrain from charging my credit card, I will update this review and also considering purchasing an annual policy with them.

Katie of Tallahassee, FL on

I like many received had issues with the card they had on file and not posting correctly to my bank which has never been an issue until now. I provided an updated expiration date a month and half ago and my policy was cancelled this week. I have a pending claim that I am waiting to be paid. I got some letter in the mail that was a strange combination of two different letters in one. It started out by stating my policy had been cancelled due to lack of payment of premiums, then went on to state that having pet insurance is the best thing I could do for my pet.

I called the customer service number. The rep told me that the company tried on two separate occasions to try and run my number, but it was returned. I had never heard of such a thing, there was enough money to cover the charge. I called my financial institution, the only thing they could find was a request to authorize the monthly payment amount back in October. They could not find record of the other two instances the representative mentioned over the phone. My policy is currently frozen, the customer service representative can't do anything and only a manager can reinstate my account. Oh I have to wait three to five business days to even talk to a manager!!! This is a SHAM! I will be contacting my local Humane Society and vet's office and tell them not to recommend this company to anybody.

Jill of Oradell, NJ on

I've had this insurance for a number of years, and as a pet sitter, even recommended it to my clients. Now, only to find after being certain not to auto pay, I called to renew my annual policy. Was told by the rep it would be about $300 so I paid over the phone. Now I receive my credit card statement, and see that I was charged $764 without my authorization! That's over a 120% increase... Why? They claim they re-evaluated my policy (oh yes, I received a $14 payment for a claim over $700 filled with reasons for payment denial!) How convenient, too, when I tried to cancel, I had to wait for a review which took an extra 2 months of payment.

THEY'RE MASTERS OF FRAUD and need to have a class action suit against them. See all of the complaints on this site with similar concerns... Let's do this already. Big cheats...scandalous and should have to be held accountable. How and why should they be allowed to charge a credit card without authorization? I kept record of every rep, date, and conversation.

Patti of Manassas, VA on

I, as had others, also signed up with Purina and was "sold out" to 24PetWatch. HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE. Claims are held up for MONTHS, with no explanation. Just received my renewal for next year. Policy is going from $300 (and something) a year to over $1,000.00 a year!!!! Which is a lot more than they had to reimburse me for my kitty's tummy problems. Now since her tummy problems are labeled as CHRONIC the odds of getting insurance anywhere else is doubtful. AND STILL waiting to hear on last claim submitted 2 months ago - just for annual shots!!! HORRIBLE COMPANY!!!

April of Scarborough, ON on

24PetWatch is the worse ins. company. Every claim they want the full med history. That's crazy. If it's an existing claim then why do they need the history again and again. It takes 60 to 90 days to get back your money. The whole idea of ins. is to help keep your animal in good care. You can't because they don't reimburse you to use that money again for their health. Vets are expensive and they are not going to wait 2 months for their money. They say the portal is faster NOPE it's not. It's been 60 days already and still have not received my money. Pls choose another pet insurance.

gail of Safety Harbor, FL on

I originally was with Purina Pet Insurance which was evidently bought out by 24PetWatch. Purina was fairly good... 24 Hour is horrendous. Please... if you're thinking about pet insurance Do Not Use This Company!! Claims, when they are processed, take 60 days (I have another pet already covered with Embrace Insurance and claims are paid within 2 weeks). Trying to reach 24PetWatch by phone is ridiculous. I just tried to call them regarding an outstanding claim and after holding for 5 minutes and automated recording came on saying it would take another 30 minutes. Unbelievable. I would highly recommend Embrace. I wish I could leave less than one star.

Ingrid of Tigard, OR on

In august I received a letter telling me that my credit card information needed updating. Strange, but I logged into the account and updated the credit card information. This process in itself was weird as you cannot see what credit card number was already on file. In any case I re-entered the current card number that I use with all online payment. A month later same letter telling me once again that my credit card information needed updating. This time I called them and after several attempts I finally get through. I ask the employee to verify that the correct credit card information is on file and she confirms that it is. So when I ask why they couldn't process the payment she didn't have an answer and said that it will be processed shortly and there shouldn't be any problem.

At the same time she informs me that my current insurance policy for one of my dogs would soon expire and that ShelterCare insurance would give me several options to choose from. Indeed I received a list of the new insurance policy and the cheapest and most comparable to my existing insurance went from $25 to $39 a month!!! As I was pondering what to do, I receive a final letter telling me that because my credit card information has not been updated my policies were cancelled. What?!? I had 2 policies with 24PetWatch, one due to expire in Nov 2016 and the other in July 2017. Both of these policies conveniently cut short because of a supposedly incorrect credit card information?

This is BS and I am wondering how many customers have experienced this. They have helped me decide on one thing. I will never purchase any insurance policies from PTZ insurance Agency or any administrators affiliated with Sheltercare. Their lack of communication, inability of answer customer's calls and dubious ways of canceling policies make them highly disreputable.

Rafi of Fairfax, VA on

We initially had our 2 pets covered through Purina, which after a year or 2 sold off great coverage and premium. Sold the policies to 24PetWatch. Within 3 years, 24PetWatch contracted 3 underwriters. With each new underwriter and new policy year came an annual premium increase, which was fairly manageable... until the 3rd underwriter and 3rd year renewal with 24PetWatch. In the 3rd year, they decided to increase the premium for each pet by 100% and that's simply wrong but they do not care. Who knows what the percentage increase will be next year given that pet insurance isn't regulated it seems (the insurance commission is completely powerless). We either pay up or go without insurance because of (now) pre-existing conditions on both pets. They know we're at their mercy.

S. T. of Aledo, TX on

Very disappointed in this company. Claims take months to be processed unlike my previous company. I recently discovered that none of my claims for 2016 submitted by two different doctors for two different dogs had been logged on my portal. I called to discover that they mysteriously did not arrive at the company! I then had to resend everything and start over in line for them to be processed. It's October and I'm still waiting. There was NO explanation or answer for why this happened and there was no accommodation for me, the customer who pays monthly for my two dogs. If one of my dogs didn't have a heart condition I would change to another insurance without hesitation.

Carolyn of Denville, NJ on

This is my second year dealing with 24PetWatch insurance. Last year they kept delaying and delaying my reimbursement. Phone hold times were half hour 45 minutes. Excuses were that they were behind short-staffed and apparently in Canada. They finally paid a claim that they said they were paying me even though they weren't supposed to but they were not going to take it back not sure where that all came from but that was disturbing. Now from their visits August 2016 and a couple visits there after in August I'm still waiting for reimbursement on about seven claims. I have yet to receive any money back. They are pathetic unorganized crooked company that holds claims with more excuses on how many channels it has to go through. Disgusted and not sure what I can do HELP!

Lueray of Brooklyn, NY on

24PetWatch is a scam. I've been with them for over 12 years and have not asked them for 1 dime and they never ever answer the phone unless you want insurance and then they find out it's something else they put you on hold and never come back. Send me a letter stating that my insurance was coming to an end after the end date and been calling them no answer. When I did get an answer they tell me my new insurance is going from 12.95 to 36.00 a month. My dog is now 11 years old. Who's going to insure my pet and she only had accident only. Something should be done. I love my pet as she was my child. How can we do something about this? It's wrong. I'm in tears. She's always been a healthy dog. Now she's older I might really need the insurance now but I'm not getting it from them. No stars for me.

Maureen of Lincoln, CA on

They have terrible customer service and appear to be a scam. For the last three months, they have the same phone recording about changing their call center and that they are updating, but haven't and remain with very long wait times. Their employees were unable to help in any way. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. I notified my veterinarian about this company, and they do not recommend it. Said they will be sure to warn all their customers against this company and removed this company's brochures in their waiting area. I am also in process of notifying the California Attorney General's office as this appears to be an insurance scam.

Kim of South Elgin, IL on

I have been trying to contact this company on my claim for months now, and every email or online reply is to call them, which puts you on hold for at least 1/2 hour, or that is as long as I waited anyway. This company is a scam. Glad I dropped coverage early on. Wish we could rate them ZERO!

Mary Lou of Chicago, IL on

I have been waiting forever on two claims, one I submitted in June and another one September 1st. They must have only one person working there. They take 45 minutes to an hour to pick up the phone. I dread calling them! I am waiting to see if they are going to cover my claims that I submitted, if they give me any beef, I am SO out of there! They suck!

Danielle of Toronto, ON on

I am so furious with this company. Not only are they impossible to get a hold of (wait times to speak to them on the phone over 45 minutes), even when you do get a hold of them they really aren't helpful. My dog passed away mid-July 2016, I have had a policy with them for over 7 years. I submitted the claims including the euthanasia for $1,600. I received an email yesterday saying my claim was completed, amount to be paid $200. I am covered for up to $3,000 annually. Not to mention it's September 13, 2016... Now I'm on hold again for 30 more minutes to try and solve this... I am already heartbroken dealing with my dog's death, now I have to fight with them to get the money owed to me about it. Do not get a policy with them.

Ted of Sacramento, CA on

Submitted a claim on May 19 2016. I have called every month, there is no option on the phone to talk to customer service. After 30 minute and several targeted phone routing or waste of my time someone tells me that they are updating the website. The claims are slow. I cannot, under any circumstances, recommend this company. They have taken my premiums each month, but will not, apparently, accept a claim.

Carol of Georgetown, TX on

After many years of paying premiums, my 12 year old dog had to be put to sleep. I have been trying without success to file a claim online. Each time I try to put in my pet's "condition" it removes it and tells me the information is required. Yesterday, I called twice and each time I hung up after being on hold for 40 minutes. I cannot, under any circumstances, recommend this company. They have taken my premiums each month, but will not, apparently, accept a claim.

Sheri of Rensselaer, NY on

Adopted a shelter pet on May 3, confirmed gift policy May 6, clean bill of health for dog May 6, ended up in ER Vet May 8. Pet almost died from dual issues: canine herpes and pneumonia. After 3 prior reasons given why they wouldn't cover the $750 of a $2390 bill (happened prior to permanent policy (was under gift one though), a part of receipt covered the name on the paper, not enough info on 20 pieces of vet paperwork), I'm being told pneumonia is an excluded URI under gift policy. Kennel cough would have been covered. But it would have had to occur after I brought him home, not before when he was at the kennel. Really think under a short policy that kennel cough may not be relevant to being in a shelter and could therefore be denied?

Wait times for service on claims is always greater than 8 min. Longest was 20 then I hung up. I tweeted them because Chat wasn't available as normal. Got a reply telling me how to get reassessed, then they sent me wrong form. This is a bait and switch - "we cover ALL THIS, but we in little tiny print, don't cover any illnesses things that may occur." There has to be a REAL pet insurance company that is willing to pay for these issues! I signed up for two dogs and full insurance coverage of $5000 on each. I have no faith that if god forbid they get sick I'll see even $50 back. I want my money back and am cancelling this policy even if it takes a lawyer to do so. My positive comment - people on the phone are nice, keep to their company lines and do their tasks.

Thomas of Mesa, AZ on

Worst experience imaginable. From beginning to end - 5 July, called to file a claim about my dog who had to go to the vet as of 18 July, no response. On 7 July, attempted to file a claim online, website does not function and does not allow you to fill in all of the necessary information, making it impossible to file a claim. Again, I called to seek assistance. Not only was I told they did not know what the issue was, they redirected me to a different pet insurance company whom they claimed managed the website with a promise that they would also email me a copy of the claim form I could fill out and send in via email.

The other group was, unsurprisingly, confused and told me they had no ability to alter 24 Hour Pet Watch's website and offered to redirect me. At this point I had been on the phone for over an hour and was becoming irrational so I politely declined. Once again, I called on 18 July (today), first call - 28 minutes before the call was ended on their end without being received. Second call - nearly an hour, ended without being received. Third call - 28 minutes, they answered, redirected me because apparently the person who answered couldn't handle my account, waited 30 more minutes, call was dropped without being received.

Fourth call - 28 minutes, ended without being received. Fifth call - I discontinued after 15 minutes. Sixth call - I went to sales to see how fast they would answer it took them 30 seconds. 30 ** seconds for them to answer when I called the sales line. If you want to have a company consistently push you to spend more, and never provide an ounce of customer service this is the company to go with. If you want to have your animals taken care of, go anywhere else.

J. of Milton, ON on

Takes over 30 minutes for them to answer a call. Raises your premiums by almost double, without warning. Aren't transparent about what your premium covers. Claims take 1 month to process. Stay away from this company!!

Melanie of Scotts Valley, CA on

I am not happy. My dog is 9 so if I change plans everything will be pre existing. It takes 2 months to get a payback. When I call, I am on hold for hours. If I ask for a supervisor, I am told they are busy. They take a name and number and I never get a callback. In the last year they changed how they process claims. Ever since it has been impossible to have anything go through. Customer service is 50/50 - they either are rude and unclear, or super helpful... then the claim gets denied anyway. Lol.

I have gotten claims denied over and over. I am 100% sure I am in the right. One of the claims is even for a medication refill they have covered for years. The reason, missing documents during claim submission. They have every document ever made for my girl. It has been sent by me and the vets in every submission form available. In the last year they changed the way they processed claims. Ever since, it has been impossible. I even had a rep on the phone who did it, told me we were done, and I still got denied for missing documents. I contacted my attorney and she will be taking it from here. My other dog is with pet Plan and they are amazing!

p of Lawrenceville, GA on

Don't signed up with them. They are not answering their phone and keep telling you they will call you back once they have someone answer the phone. NO claims paid and no returned calls. Please don't sign up with them if you don't want your money taken. Going to cancel my policy with them.

Mark of North East, MD on

Very efficient when collecting your money. Once they have it, that is where the efficiency ends! You submit your claim, medical info, invoice, etc. They tell you they have it... a few weeks go by. No word from them. You call back and then they tell you they didn't receive your info. Must resubmit. A VERY common tactic with them. They try to frustrate people into giving up on claims. Their Facebook page was essentially all comments from angry customers. When I informed them of this, the Supervisor blew it off and "just a few opinions" and wasn't the least concerned. They weren't a "few" opinions... they were nearly all the opinions. Interestingly after I pointed this out to them (they didn't even seem aware of what was being said on their own social media page) they took down the comments section.

I have filed a formal complaint with my state's Insurance Commission which is now investigating this lousy company. They need to be shut down, their assets liquidated and distributed to all those whom they have ripped off. Oh yeah, if you call and for their sales department, there is no hold time whatsoever. You are immediately in touch with a real person. But if you call to check on a claim, make a complaint, etc. you are on hold for a 30, 45, even 60 minutes. They never follow up on anything they promise. They are rude, arrogant, and generally don't know what they are doing. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY. YOU WILL BE SORRY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME, DO A QUICK SEARCH AND LOOK AT ALL THE OTHER COMPLAINTS. 100% WORTHLESS.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

24Petwatch is a company that specializes in pet protection services. The company is headquartered in Buffalo, New York.

• Variety of services: 24Petwatch does not only offer pet insurance; it also offers lost pet recovery services such as microchip pet registration, pet identification and pet recovery tips.
  • Services for dogs and cats: The company will cover both dogs and cats, so pet owners can insure both types of pets.
  • Unlimited number of accidents: The company will cover an unlimited number of accidents or illnesses, as long as the amount of payment is under the coverage limit.
  • Free quotes: Pet owners do not have to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services, since 24PetWatch offers pet owners free, no-obligation quotes.
  • No limits on vet selection: Pet owners can take their pet to any vet of their choosing.
  • Best for Pet owners with dogs and cats, pet owners with loyalty to a vet and pet owners with active, or rambunctious pets.

Compare Pet Insurance