24PetWatch Pet Insurance

Compare Pet Insurance Providers

Research top Pet Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased a Wellness plan for my puppy approximately one year ago. I still am not listed as a Wellness program on the electronic claim form. Many months ago, I submitted a claim for vaccinations. I received telephone help in completing the online application and faxed the vet records and cost. I received a total of only $30 reimbursement!!! Then, my puppy was neutered and I am still not listed as a wellness policy holder.

I sent several emails about this surgery, that happened approximately four months ago, and have not received ONE response. I have telephoned this company several times and received no callback. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PET INSURANCE; I have paid roughly $60/month and received nothing!!! It is very clear that they simply want to support their business and not supply the reimbursement that they stated initially in description of their policies.

Do not use this company. I have been paying into my policy since my dog was a puppy with direct withdrawal for over 12 years. Never missed a payment. My dog is very healthy to this day. Had one small bump removed 2 years ago. Now it looks like the company cancels with no warning once your dog gets to a certain older age. Someone should bring a class action lawsuit against this company as I just lost all the money I put into it and now have no money for future major health issues that might come up.

Just curious here, does the 24 in 24PetWatch represent 24 hours on hold or ...? I've lost my dog and THEY WON'T ANSWER. I've literally been on hold forever. I don't pay to be on hold, I pay to be helped. If I could give 0 stars I would.

24PetWatch - 7-22-17 at 9:23 a.m. - I paid for their renewal before realizing I already had lifetime service set up for my service dog, Morris, with AKC Reunite. I selected the lifetime plan because I didn't want to pay $22.00 a year. I'm now out of $84.95. This money can be much better spent on dog food! Exactly 20 minutes after paying them by credit card I called them via deaf relay & asked to have it removed. The customer service rep was adamant that it cannot be removed (because it says no refunds), so I waited a while and then called again and got the same response, except after 38 minutes on the call, this rep said she would forward this issue to her manager, who is off on weekends and is the only one authorized to remove the pending charge, since during the same relay call with the same CA (Sprint relay operator) - when I first contacted Visa CC, they said the charge was pending and only the merchant can remove it.

In the meantime, Visa said that they added a dispute note to my account but that it can't be disputed until the payment is posted. Now I'm waiting for "the manager" to contact me via email and I pray I get that money back. Wish me luck, please! Note: Google result for 24PetWatch says Microchip Registration is free. IT IS NOT FREE!!!

I've been with 24Pet insurance for my dog for 9 years. That ended today July 2017. The insurance company prior to this new PTZ-taking over was amazing. Now, since the new PTZ took over their customer service has decreased and to a surprise I didn't receive any policy renewal notice but did receive my credit card statement and just like the other person on here they doubled my premium. Without notifying me of any changes in premium AND double charging me without any notice. I called to verify all of this. They tried to tell me it's a new underwriting price change. I told them my new pet insurance buying for a new policy has begun and they can cancel retroactive to this billing. They wouldn't. I told the rep they should be ashamed of themselves doing this to loyal clients and hung up. My credit card company has taken their charge off my bill and my dog has another insurance for the same amount I was paying before.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24PetWatch Pet Insurance?

I was surprised to see so many negative reviews and a low rating on this company, but reading them they were all about pet insurance which I don't have for my cat. He is micro chipped though, and after 5 moves in his short three years, he got out last night and hasn't come home. He's been gone for 26 hours as I write this and I've been freaking out for my little baby. However, I'm super broke and was worried I'd have to renew membership in order for them to help me or for his chip to be activated if someone found him. Anyway, I called tonight, gave them Mini's chip number and explained that I never renewed past the free year from the shelter.

The woman on the phone was very nice and said, "let's update your information to your current address and I'll report Mini as lost and we can talk about renewal once he has been found." That seriously put this broke college student, who just started a job and hasn't received her first paycheck yet and whose student loans aren't coming in until the end of August, in somewhat of a less stressed state of mind.

So, my cat is now listed as missing, no one tried to pressure me into renewal at this point, and she even gave me some tips to help my baby find his way home (I was already doing them because the internet is a wealth of info, but still, it was nice to know that they were helpful with that). I was just very relieved that they updated my information with Mini's accurate name and address and my phone number and email address so that if he is found, they won't try to send him off to the state we previously lived in. Hoping to get my wittle mini home safe and sound soon, thanks to the very helpful woman I called tonight.

If I could give zero stars, I would. I just got off the phone with a "customer service" rep who kept pressuring me not to cancel my policy. He was absolutely relentless and offensive. He had me so angry I ended up cussing at him. He was that bad. Background: Like everyone else who is furious with this company, my premium just jumped over 100%, from 30.02/mo to 66.16/mo. I didn't know this until I saw the charge on my credit card. I found the renewal booklet I'd been sent a couple of months ago, and sure enough it did say there would be an increase. My bad.

BUT -- when I called the company today to look into changing from the highest coverage level ($20,000 which includes wellness and dental) to a lower one, I asked if the conditions my cat is currently being treated for would still be covered. I was told that since I didn't make the change "in the renewal period", her medical conditions would now be considered pre-existing(!!!) Since it would be no different if I got a new policy elsewhere, I figured why stay with this company that was ripping me off? So I said, "I want to cancel the policy, then." Oh my Holy Mother of God, what happened next was unbelievable.

He began a relentless pressure campaign to get me to change my mind, kept harping on how a teeth cleaning alone (which is covered under the policy) makes the premium worth it. I told him my priorities are her hyperthyroidism and her kidney function, which currently entails labs a few times a year, not teeth cleaning. He went on and on, saying everything EXCEPT "Yes, ma'am, I'm sorry to hear you want to cancel; I'll start that process right now for you". I kept repeating that I was not interested in his spiel, that my mind was made up. That he was not honoring that absolutely infuriated me. I ended up calling him an ** -- but trust me I was only speaking the truth.

"I understand you're upset", he said. "Really?" I asked, "Why do you suppose that is?" "Because your premium went up, I understand that." "No, it's because you are not doing what I'm asking. I asked you at least 3 times to cancel the policy. It's my choice and my decision. You do not have the right to keep trying to pressure me, and it's not going to work. Cancel the policy -- now!" "But ma'am --" And on and on and on. I'm telling you, it was unbelievable. Finally he said he was "in the process" of cancelling the policy, but just had one more thing he had to tell me, one more option available to me. I told him I didn't want to hear it, and he insisted that he had to tell me, so that I could "make a decision"!!! By now I'm practically screaming at him. "I've MADE my decision!! It's your job to honor it and not try to sell me any more crap!"

The kicker is when he finally said the policy was cancelled, but that he just HAD to tell me that I'm "making a very ill-informed decision" and implied that I don't know what's best for my cat. If we'd been in the same room I probably would have leapt over the desk and throttled him. At one point I reminded him that the call was being recorded "for quality assurance purposes". I said, "So this is your company's idea of quality customer service? Hounding and pressuring people? Not providing the service that they want and are asking for?"

24PetWatch is a terrible company. STAY CLEAR!! PS -- regarding his telling me that I hadn't requested to change my coverage level "during the renewal period", I didn't even have the presence of mind to tell him that NOWHERE in the policy renewal booklet that they sent me did it explain the reason for the premium increase, nor, and most importantly, did it say that UNLESS YOU CHANGE COVERAGE LEVELS DURING THE RENEWAL PERIOD, any conditions that were previously covered will be considered pre-existing. And that omission can only be purposeful on their part. That's why they are a sleazy organization that cares nothing for the animals they supposedly serve.

I have a nine year old dog. A Chihuahua. Have been paying 24PetWatch $53.00 a month for pet insurance. I received a letter that for the same coverage I need to pay $166.00 a month now. How can they raise my premium this high? I called and was informed a new underwriting company came up with the figure of what the same coverage I had is now that I would have to pay. Premiums to screw the loyal customer that has been paying for years??? I would love to join a class action suit against this thieving business. How can I possibly get decent coverage for my dog just turning 10 now? I cannot afford this. Do not join this company.

My experience with 24PetWatch Pet Insurance has been pretty much top notch. I have been with this company for almost 10 years. There was a period when there were delays in completing claims and payment but within the past several months I have been extremely pleased with their customer service, the timely manner that my claims were completed and payment made.

This pet insurance has been a life saver for my 16 year old kitty who has many complicated medical conditions for which, with the Champion Care Policy that we have, has covered everything that we have submitted. We are very pleased with the scope of coverage that we have. We have two other young cats covered by 24PetWatch Insurance, who are very healthy, and the annual wellness exams are covered. I am very pleased with their service and have no hesitation in recommending this company.

I adopted a healthy dog from the shelter. We were told to bring her to the vet the first week we got her, healthy visit. Not covered. Then 3 weeks later she got colitis, not covered. I contacted 24PetWatch twice asking why nothing was covered and this is what I was told. "That policy gives coverage for accidents effective the first day of coverage. There are also several illnesses eligible for reimbursement effective the 3rd day of coverage and effective the 31st day, any illness and any accident (as long as it is not pre-existing) would be eligible for reimbursements. The particular claim you submitted was not covered because it fell during the waiting period". Pointless and a waste of money. So I canceled. No point in getting insurance if you don't cover my dog.

Where to start? Lousy customer service, shady adjusters who deny claims that should be paid, unconscionable rate hikes for loyal customers who have gone years and never filed a claim. These are all common themes. This company seriously needs a good independent audit to find out what's going on. There is something VERY wrong here. Animal shelters: Please stop offering these complimentary policies to your adopters. YOU ARE SETTING YOUR CLIENTS UP FOR DISASTER WITH THESE PEOPLE. Also, for any who are frustrated by this company, there is now a Facebook group. Please see "24 Petwatch Dissatisfied Customers".

I have carried insurance with 24PetWatch Pet Insurance for over 11 years with modest increases throughout the years. Today I received my bill and the monthly increase from $30.50 a month to $64.06 a month! There was no explanation of the outrageous increase outside of they recently did a review of the premiums. I've shopped insurance for my dog within the last two years and found my prior rate to be in line with other companies. For them to now say or think they have been under charging is beyond uncomprehensible. SHAME ON YOU! Needless to say, I will be shopping for new insurance again along with other the other people that just received their increase and are writing the same reviews.

This review concerns the microchip (not insurance): My dog has a 24PetWatch microchip, placed by the shelter we adopted him from. There was an error in the initial registration submitted by the shelter, but 24PetWatch will not fix the mistake without a membership fee -- thus, if my dog goes missing, the microchip is basically worthless. Clearly they are not actually interested in helping to find lost pets (unless you pay their membership fee). Would not recommend for microchip.

I have been a customer for 6 years. I paid 40 dollars a month for my healthy dog. In those 6 years I did not file one claim. My rates were quadrupled without notice, to 153 dollars per month. The explanation I received was that they needed to remain solvent in the insurance market. This company does not care about any of us or our pets. I am one of the lucky ones. My dog does not have a pre-existing condition and I can easily move on to another company. I feel for those with pets that do have pre-existing conditions that will make it hard for them to leave this soulless company. I am happy to have cancelled my account.

I have had this insurance for almost a year and have never had to use it till now. I called in to ask a few questions about what I needed to do and what my deductible is and the person on the other end can't tell you his name because he had so much gum or food in his mouth that I couldn't understand him. He kept muting the phone and took forever to answer my questions. He acted like I was bothering him. I hung up and called back and got him again and asked to speak to a supervisor he why I told him I thought he was a horrible CSR and he put me on hold and came back and told me that no supervisor was available. I call BS to that! I worked customer service before and there are always more than 2 supervisors available. On top of that they upped my monthly premiums to over $40.00. It's an increase of almost 15.00 a month more. Horrible - I am done with them!

I gave one star because it won't let me leave it at no stars. This company is a scam. They doubled my rates and did not tell me. I'm paying almost a car payment a month for two dogs. I never got a letter, a call, and email or anything else. I should have been the one to confirm or deny this increase. I will be canceling and now they won't give me my money back since I never agreed to that. I am so disgusted with such behavior from a company. Please do not use them for pet insurance. Do your hw and research before choosing an insurance. When they were Purina care, they were perfect. Now they take forever with claims and never give back the amount promised. I'm tired of throwing my money away to them. They should be shut down.

I have been a loyal customer of 24PetWatch for about 10 years, and I have dealt with the gradual increases over the years, depending on how many claims I've had with my pets. In 2016, I paid about $82 a month for my 2 dogs, for their top tier policy. Then, when they renewed this year, that jumped to $172 per month!!! More than double, with ZERO NOTICE. When I called, they explained that they now have new underwriters, because their previous rates were "far below market."

Here's the catch... They don't care if you leave them. If you have a lot of claims, your pets are just liabilities to them anyway. And they KNOW you can't go anywhere else if your dog has a pre-existing condition. So you're stuck. Either you stay with them and deal with the ridiculously high rates, or you just don't carry insurance on your dogs, and hope you don't have any major disasters to deal with. Either way, it's a risk, and they don't care. Has anyone heard of any investigations or class actions against them? Because these rate hikes are criminal.

I purchased Purina Insurance in 2012 for my puppy at rate of $44.90 that was supposed to stay the same. Purina sold to 24Petwatch and they instantly started raising rates. I was currently up to around $68 a month but just got my renewal in the mail and as of 6/17 they are charging my original plan of $44.90 will now be $163.18!! They are more than doubling the cost and that is 363% since I started the insurance 5 years ago.

I have always been a loyal customer and now I have to cancel because the fees will be almost $2000 a year. My dog has a pre-existing condition so they know I can't go to any other company and get insured. These outlandish price increases are forcing customers with pre-existing conditions to cancel and the company is perfectly fine with that because these customers are liabilities. Just when these pets need the insurance the most as they age they are being forced out by these price hikes. People are complaining about this all over different sites... this is a HUGE issue. This company needs to be investigated for insurance fraud or a class action needs to be brought against them.

I detest this company. The previous company was decent and fair. Then they sold out to this company. Insurance cost doubling is the least of my concerns. I have paid FOUR TIMES since September for my cat's insurance. Each time I receive a letter stating that her insurance has been cancelled for non-payment. I have spent, literally, hours on hold trying to resolve this issue with this disgusting company. THEY SAY THE ISSUE IS RESOLVED, THEIR MISTAKE, SORRY--AND THEN ALONG COMES ANOTHER CANCELLATION NOTICE. I came onto this site because I am hoping that someone has started a Class Action suit against this so-called "company". If no one has, I may try to figure out how to do it myself. AVOID 24PetWatch.com LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

I've had the policy since 2009 when it was Purina and it was great. Then it switched hands to 24PetWatch and since then they've become increasingly more difficult to deal with. The last thing that happened was that I just happen to see a $900+ charge on my credit card from them (the years before it was $200/yr, then $360 when they took over), no bill or anything. When I called they just kept telling me that I signed up for them to automatically charge me in 2014 (which I never did) and that they have my permission to charge my card. They just repeated the same thing to me and said there were no supervisors available for me to talk to. They wouldn't refund anything. Needless to say I cancelled my policy. That company is not an honest business.

I have been a member with 24PetWatch for the last 6 years, and suddenly, with no notice, they doubled my pet's premium. I have never had trouble with them before, so was shocked. When I called to inquire, I got a canned response about increasing prices. I've always considered the company to be a good value, so I would understand raising their prices, but doubling with no notice is absolutely ridiculous. Further, when I said I would have to switch policies due to not being able to afford my new one, I was told it was the middle of my policy year, so if I switched now then all previously covered illnesses would be considered pre-existing conditions and not covered. This feels truly unconscionable to me. Buyer beware before you consider purchasing from them - they may double your premiums with no notice.

Pathetically slow on reimbursing claims. We've been waiting close to 8 months to be reimbursed on claims that were submitted. It's been so long that our card on file expired and when they went to reimburse us 2 months ago it would not go through due to an expired card. I've made 3 phone calls over the past 2 months and each time ensured they had the new and correct card on file. They confirm that the correct card is on file and still no reimbursement. We are due over $800.00, which they have confirmed in writing... but have still not reimbursed us.

I've been on hold the last 2 times over 30 minutes waiting on a supervisor. The last time I was told the supervisor would be calling me back, but NEVER received a call. I'm now on hold again for 35 plus minutes and making good use of my time filing this complaint. After having this pet insurance for over 10 years and no claims until this year, they cancelled our policy in Florida, our pet has died and now we are just wanting to get reimbursed for what they have providing in writing that we are due. How hard is this?

My first time ever writing a review about the services of a company. I am doing it as responsibility to save others from this pit trap. I have seen coners and scammers but something on a huge level like this is astonishing. Bought a policy for my dog 3 years ago. In one year the premium rate jumped from $25 to $44.88 without any notification without our consent. When I called to ask they said they mailed the renewal package to us. I tracked the date and details of general post with Canada Post and found out that no post was delivered to us on that day.

This company is feeding on your ignorance and hectic life where you have little time to see what your insurance co. is doing with your bank auto deduct account that you provided them with. I asked to speak to a manager and they made me wait 20 mins on phone and the person who attended failed to explain why my dog's premium increased to double the figure in an year without our knowledge. Save your hard earned money and put it where they will treat you honestly. There are many other reviews with same story as mine and this made me withdraw my policy. I lost all the money in the premiums I paid but I am with a better provider now.

For several years, we had two pet insurance policies with this company. In late 2016, we received written notification that PTZ was switching to a new insurance underwriter and that our policy premiums would rise sharply at their renewal dates in early 2017. Indeed, one policy premium was scheduled to DOUBLE. We called, reduced our policy coverage, and received quotes for the new, cheaper policies. Because one pet's policy was many years old and had been grandfathered in from PurinaCare, this policy was given a new ID number.

The second pet policy kept the same ID number. We understood that our credit card would be billed on the renewal dates in early 2017 for these new, changed policies. So we were shocked when we received a letter in early February of 2017 notifying us that this second policy had not been renewed and was canceled altogether. The reason? They never issued a new policy ID number for it.

We called within days of receiving this cancellation notice. We wanted the policy reinstated because we believed there had been a miscommunication and an error on their part because our intention was to have it renewed and billed to our credit card. They would not hear our explanation and pledged only to have a "supervisor" look into the problem. They told us that someone would called within "1 to 2 business days." Well, no one called. And when we called again, the phone customer service representative said only that she could not help us and that - again - a "supervisor" would have to look into it and that they would call within "1 to 2 business days."

We were loyal customer who paid our policy premiums on time for years and the pet in question didn't even receive any billable care during the lapsed period. But they would not work with us, preferring instead to shove us into a new policy with more exclusions and worse coverage. We will take our business elsewhere and strongly suggest that you do the same.

24PetWatch has drastically declined the passing years. I will attempt to keep it short with the following reasons for support and warning for those seeking services: I have ordered a replacement tag, Nov 2016, have had to call three different times to attempt to follow up and yet to receive my pets ID replacement tag. I have paid for this tag on 2 separate occasions despite being told that there was a lifetime warranty. They lost my order in their system and I do not have the original receipt from 7 years ago. This is fraud since I paid for a service and I am not receiving services paid for. In addition, without the tag a person doesn't know who to call or if she even has a chip. So the pet finding service is also questionable. The local pet shelter that initially used this service has now switched companies as of 2017.

Upon attempting to call and speak to a manager there was not a manager on duty. When call was forwarded to a voicemail there was no voice mail available to leave a message and the call was disconnected. I have no confidence in this company, who cannot simply ship a tag to me, could ever orchestrate the reuniting of a loved pet with its owner. The company has also lost it ties with pet supply company, Pet Tango, that went out of business. This was part of the services that were originally paid for and was not compensated for the loss of services and not even notified until I attempted to place an order. Very poor customer service. The turn around in customer service reps leaves those working under trained and under qualified as reflected in the customer service skills. Many questions that are asked require them to ask another person for answers.

Bought a one-year policy on their website in Jan 2015. In Feb 2017, they unauthorizedly charged $180 for some new policy I don't need. No notice. No follow-up from their customer service. Any potential customer should be aware of it.

When I first got this insurance, I was transferred from Pet Care and my rates were lowered. In the last year or two the rate was increased from $57.00 to over $100.00 dollars. I did not even have a claim. A couple days ago I called them to inquire if my fee and deductible was gonna increased after my dog turns 10 and I was reassured there was not going to be any changes. Surprisingly, on February 2, 2017, I received a personalized booklet (I guess that costs money) informing me that rates were going to be $141.00, beginning in April. This is outrageous! Find your pet a different coverage, with a different carrier. Stay away from 24PetWatch.

WATCH OUT!! I repeat WATCH out when you sign up for this complete BS. I don't think you should sign up in the first place but this is my experience. I got my puppy and the next 2 days I signed up with 24 hour pet watch for this 30 day trial BS. First of all the customer service rep that set up my account straight up said " go to the vet and submit a claim that you'll get reimbursed. All what was discussed is the set up (name address ETC, said we had 30 days. I do as I was told and submit the claim. 2 Weeks after I call to get an update and the gentleman explains the time it takes for review. I ask what this trial covers exactly because the vet recommended some expensive Shampoo and Conditioner (50 Bucks Each!!) and some vitamins. Well the gentleman explained what it covers and by what he said basically my claim will not be reimbursed.

I asked to speak to a supervisor to review this because this was not what I was told when I signed up. He put in a request and said 2-3 days I'll get a call... I didn't. I waited another full week and called back. Same thing, I explained what was going on and the woman this time said she's going to pull my claim ahead to be reviewed by a supervisor and I'll get a call back in 2-3 days... AGAIN no callback and waited another week and a half. On 2/1/2017 I call again to get some answers and the rep tells me the supervisor reviewed my claim and put notes that they "heard" the call recording and said they went over everything with me and I was misunderstood... Keep in mind this trail covers only 10 things. They basically insult me by indirectly saying I'm stupid there's only 10 things the trial covers.

I ask to hear MY OWN phone call with them and they said they think they will not let me hear it... Come on if I knew what my puppy needed wasn't covered don't you think I'll ask the vet for a shampoo and conditioner that I can find at a pet store first??? But no they make it sound like you're in good hands and to just submit the claim that you'll get your money back. LIES! So now we are weeks down the road and all I have now is waiting another 2-3 days for a supervisor to call. I wouldn't recommend ANYONE to sign up with this scam insurance. Such Poor Customer service. DO NOT DO NOT believe anything they say and if you do decide to sign up MAKE SURE that you ask what EXACTLY this "trial" covers AND GET IT IN AN EMAIL because to me it doesn't cover anything your pet would need in the first 30 days of your new pet.

In my opinion, this insurance company is a fraudulent scam. I send in a claim and receive an email stating that the claim was incomplete. I then send the information they are requesting (even though it was already sent). They then cancel the first claim sent and start the claim process over, using the later date. After doing this several times, they send a letter stating that the claim was submitted too late. Not once did I submit a claim and receive a payment on the first try.

I have had a policy with 24PetWatch for about a year when I made my first claim. It took weeks (about 2 months) to actually talk with someone about filing. They (through email only) proceeded to tell me, I had to file online. Every time I tried, the site wouldn't recognize me. It told me that I didn't have a valid account number. Once it FINALLY was corrected and I filed, I was told "Your claim is past due to timeline and I didn't send enough information." I faxed the entire medical records pertaining to EVERYTHING. On top of them denying my claim they DOUBLED my monthly payment!!! THIS COMPANY HAS CHANGED NAMES A FEW TIMES. PROBABLY TO HIDE FROM THEIR INACCURACY. I have since tried to cancel my account and no one will respond to me. I will be contacting the bank to be sure they don't take any more money from me.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

24Petwatch is a company that specializes in pet protection services. The company is headquartered in Buffalo, New York.

• Variety of services: 24Petwatch does not only offer pet insurance; it also offers lost pet recovery services such as microchip pet registration, pet identification and pet recovery tips.
  • Services for dogs and cats: The company will cover both dogs and cats, so pet owners can insure both types of pets.
  • Unlimited number of accidents: The company will cover an unlimited number of accidents or illnesses, as long as the amount of payment is under the coverage limit.
  • Free quotes: Pet owners do not have to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services, since 24PetWatch offers pet owners free, no-obligation quotes.
  • No limits on vet selection: Pet owners can take their pet to any vet of their choosing.
  • Best for Pet owners with dogs and cats, pet owners with loyalty to a vet and pet owners with active, or rambunctious pets.

Compare Pet Insurance