1.55/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

166 24PetWatch Pet Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

RE-REGISTER YOUR PETS WITH ** (or both). You can enter your animal's chip information and freely update the information (such as new address) without paying for it. Those two services are what microchipping is all about - making sure pets make it back home if they are lost. DO NOT USE 24PETWATCH. I have 3 dogs - 2 microchipped with 24PetWatch. I live in a rental house and have moved a few times since adopting my dogs. I was quite angry to discover that the only way I can change/update the address on my dogs' chips is to pay their absurd fee for a lifetime membership.

I understand completely that companies need to make money, but that is what their insurance side is for, not their basic pet microchipping. The real kicker here is that I was considering getting pet insurance for all 3 of my dogs through them, but have changed my mind now that I know that I cannot even updated my address without giving them a huge chunk of money. SHAME ON YOU, 24PetWatch. You are not protecting and saving animals, you are taking advantage of pet owners. I am sincerely disappointed, and frankly disgusted.

24PetWatch Pet Insurance response

Hi Vanessa, Any microchip registered with 24PetWatch comes with our basic service, which uses only your email & phone # to facilitate lost pet recovery, never your physical address. It includes unlimited free access to change these two pieces of contact info at any time. We do not use your address for lost pet efforts and are never needed to reunite you with your pet. A customer may elect to purchase a membership (as lows as $21.95) which does then give you access to add/change additional info.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I actually quite like them. When I first started with them, they would send back the claim money before my credit card bill came in. Now it takes much longer. They were quite good to me back when I had a dog with CHF. He maxed out the Cardiovascular coverage and when another procedure had to be done in his abdomen, caused by the CHF, they switched it over to the GI coverage for me. I really appreciated that. The only thing I’m not too happy with is the monthly payment goes up every year or so, even though I have had very few claims as my dog is healthy.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

We adopted a puppy from a shelter. They proceeded a code for a 30 day free trial of pet insurance from this company. I registered and have the receipt showing $0.00 Charged however they DID in fact charge my card the full monthly amount. The charge is still "pending" so I cannot dispute it through my bank yet. I am calling on no day to cancel the policy due to this unethical practice as well as due to these other reviews I just read. My bank offers discounted pet insurance through a more reputable and better rated company at the same cost, we will go with that. Can't wait to see how horrible the cancellation process is going to be. Don't waste your time or money on the NOT FREE free trial.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

We adopted two kittens and received a 30 day free trial for both kittens. When I called to set the insurance up, they said they wouldn't charge my card until the 30 day free trial was up. I confirmed with the lady twice that she wouldn't charge my card until November 19, 2018. Then, a few days later I notice that around $280 was charged on my credit card. I called 24PetWatch and the person I spoke advised that this was a human error and that he would call me back in 3-5 days to ensure I received a refund. I never received a response so I emailed them to cancel.

The email said I would receive a response within 48 hours. Again, no response. So I called last Friday and the person I spoke to said that the payment was not an error, that's how annual pay works. Then she asked if I wanted to go on monthly pay. I told her just to cancel both policies. She confirmed that the cancellations were processed and I would receive a refund within 7 days. It has been 7 days and nothing. If you adopt a pet and they offer you a free trial through 24PetWatch, don't bother! I am in insurance and this is not how customer service works. When someone says a refund should be sent to you within a certain amount of time or they will contact you within a certain number of days, they should.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

My family and I rescued a dog from Savannah Humane Society. I sign up for the free trial services for the insurance. Upon looking at my account the next day, I notice that they put a hold on my account for more than authorized. I called and canceled the policy. The lady said I would be refunded my money. I never received the refund. The next month came around, they charged my account again making my account negative. I called and was told I would be refunded the money plus service fee and also be refunded for the other month. I was only refunded for the new charge minus the service fee. I am planning to call the rescue and advise them to use a new company for microchips.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24PetWatch Pet Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

When I adopted a puppy several friends recommended getting pet insurance for the first year of her life. I read reviews for several companies and spoke on the phone with a couple about different coverage options and decided to go with 24PetWatch. Here is where they went wrong: Submitting claims is not as easy as I would like and they weren't able to set up access for my vet so the vet clinic could submit claims for me like human health insurance. Many other pet insurance companies make this easy. I was unable to deposit their checks using my mobile banking app for some reason. I had just moved to Maine from Wyoming where the bank I use does not exist so mobile deposit was my only option. I spoke to 24PetWatch on the phone and they set up direct deposit for me and reissued the payment that I couldn't mobile deposit. However, months later, after submitting several other claims, I still hadn't seen a single deposit from 24PetWatch.

Over the course of the past few months I spoke with several representatives who said they would reissue the 4 payments I was waiting on, but still nothing. I have now had this policy for almost a year and have spent almost $500 on the premiums but haven't seen a single dime back. Today I canceled my policy and supposedly the agent reissued the checks, my 3rd try to get paid, and for some reason they couldn't manage to get the direct deposit to work so I will have to mail the checks back to Wyoming to get them deposited in my account. The 24PetWatch agents were always very friendly and polite but I am appalled and really upset and do not recommend this insurance company.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I had a very good experience so far with 24PetWatch (was SPCA insurance in Ontario, Canada)... very grateful for their coverage as I had to cover nearly 16,000$ for eye surgeries just after my pup turned 1 year old... they covered to the limit as written in the policy without any issue and in a timely manner. I have been treated well with each and every claim submission and this has been an unexpectedly bad year medically for my pups... I am so pleasantly surprised by the support that I have received during this tough time and I highly recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

We found a dog and got it scanned. The 800-number was called. They wouldn't tell us where the owners were so that the dog could be delivered. We cannot just keep the dog because we have no room (and this was explained to them). The young person at the call center hung up when a supervisor was asked for. Based on the insurance reviews, I wouldn't be surprised if the "protection services" were a scam, too! The dog is cute, friendly, small, and middle-aged. We don't want to have to dump it at a shelter, but we already have dogs of our own and cannot add more.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

We adopted a puppy from a shelter. The adoption came with 30 days of pet insurance provided free of charge. We registered online for our pet insurance and the company claims they have no record of it. I spoke with multiple people who said they would get it fixed for me. They then said that a manager needed to give me a call right back. The manager failed to ever call me and nothing has been fixed. This should not be this difficult to receive the services that were supposed to be included as part of my adoption fee.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I enrolled in the free trial plus an additional wellness plan coverage for my newly rescued dog. 24PetWatch is refusing to reimburse me for my dog's wellness exam items, Lyme vaccine and her skin condition treatments. Apparently while trying to enroll me, representative explained skin conditions were one of 12 immediately covered conditions while today rep told me it's not dermatitis so it falls into an item that needs a longer waiting period for eligibility. In short, it's not worth your time or money to debate 24PetWatch's deceptive consumer practices and don't count on any assurances given upon making enrollment decisions. I'm lucky I only lost $12.50 as I've cancelled and cut my losses. But everyone please be aware as this company seems to prey upon families who have adopted rescue animals.

Hi Kristin,

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. We try hard to communicate what's covered and what is not. If we fell short, we sincerely apologize. Please give us another chance to make it right!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I recently adopted 2 cats from a rescue organization in Georgia and the 24 Pet Watch chips are the ones they were microchipped with. I called the company to register my name and information because I was having trouble doing it on the website. The girl informed me that I needed buy a "lifetime" membership at a cost of $84.95 per cat. I went ahead and gave them my CC number which they immediately charged. They promised me several items which they promptly e-mailed to me. However, when I attempted to use one of the coupons they sent me, the store told me that it was a "third party coupon" and they don't accept those.

I called them back and explained this to them and that I would like to get it resolved or be issued a refund. I was told last week that someone would contact me by Friday, 9/28/18. I never heard back from anyone. I called them today demanding a refund -- spoke to a manager -- and was told he would call me back within the hour to let me know what was going on. I am still waiting on a return telephone call. These people are scammers. DO NOT USE. I fully intend to contact my credit card company and dispute the charges.

Hi Terri,

Please give us another chance. It sounds like there has been a miscommunication and we would like to resolve it with you. Please call us at

1-866-597-2424 and a team member will help you.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

We adopted two cats from a shelter and were told we needed to get this insurance for 30 days free in order to do it. We were in turn charged when we told them that we did not want the insurance after the free 30 day trial. They charged anyway and won't give our money back. We have disputed with our CC company as a result. Just passing on info to others to beware of this company. They are not an honest company.

Hi D.

We are sorry to hear of your poor experience. We strive to provide clear communications around the trial of insurance. Your feedback is important and we hope you give us an opportunity to make it right. Please call at 866-597-2424 and one of our team members will gladly assist you.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I submitted every invoice, medical history, and documents that they asked for when submitting a claim. A full MONTH later they send out an automatic email that they are waiting to hear from my Vet office. I check the claim status and it reads "$448.66 submitted amount - $0.00 paid." I call and they said they couldn't get the examination notes from the Vet office. I asked if they just emailed once and tried to call once and then just closed the claim and she said yes. She also said that should be mostly up to ME to provide and get these documents. I told her I submitted everything I've received from the Vet and nowhere did they request I contact the vet to get any more documents. I've never had an insurance company tell me that I need to do literally 100% of the work. Useless company that just wants to take your money. Do NOT recommend.

Hi Tristen,

Very sorry to hear about your experience. Please give our team members an opportunity to help explain the claims process. Please call us at 866-597-2424.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I don’t know what to say except that these guys were good before they got bought out. Now I’m stuck with the new owners because my dogs are seniors with preexisting conditions. I’d still probably be better off without insurance rather than these criminals. I have a gold plan and somehow they find a way to deny EVERYTHING. They typically pay me $60 out of $800 in claims. It’s a joke. Go with anyone else!

Original review: June 28, 2018

Awful! These people are con artist. Im pretty sure this is not even a legit company. They take money but offer no service in return. Simple claims get denied for ** reasons that make no sense. The adjusters, that basically have a job because of us are a bunch of twats. Oh they claim they are trained vet techs. ** they dont even know how to read medical records and cant comprehend why a dog would need a certain treatment or medication. They make any excuse to not pay a claim. Most of the reasons are ridiculous, half ** excuses. They have no problem taking money out of your bank! However when and if they do accept a claim they never send the money. These people are not legit. Stay away. This is no piece of mind for your pet. They have caused me nothing but grief from the first claim I submitted. If I just put the money that I pay these cons every month aside. My vet bills would be paid. Dont fall for this **.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I was told that I would have to upgrade one of our cat's policies in order to have a recently diagnosed illness covered. Being concerned about it then being considered a pre-existing condition, I asked specifically about that and was told, "Not, it would be covered because you have had the cat insured with us all along." That was not true and the claim was rejected immediately and after a review. Buyer beware. If you aren't sure, ask for it in writing (though I'm not sure if that would help). We now have Figo Pet Insurance and are quite happy with it.

Original review: June 12, 2018

When I was signing up for my pet's insurance the phone operator was professional and nice. Three months later I had received a letter saying that I am no longer covered effective March 30, a couple of days after I had signed my pet up. They claimed it was due to no payments, but my credit card statements say that I paid three consecutive months of $48! Why was my pet's insurance ineffective 4 days after I signed him up when I paid the $48 over the phone? Wouldn't recommend 24PetWatch because they take your money and try not to reimburse you when you're submitting claims.

Original review: May 22, 2018

This was the company that was used when I adopted my dog and I've always logged in yearly and updated my information and my pet's information along with a photo. When I logged in this year my pet wasn't registered under my account. I called and they said he was registered under a different account and I need to pay them a transfer of ownership fee to have him under my account. They stated that the microchip number associated with my pet was never under my account. That can't be so because like I said previously I've been logging in for years now and updating his profile. I have all the forms from when I registered him originally with the company which I will be sending into them. But I have registered my pet on other free registry websites as well to be safe. Their customer service representatives were rude and refused to do anything unless I pay them.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I adopted my dog from a Humane Society two years ago. She came with a microchip associated with 24PetWatch so I registered her chip with my information on the (at the time) free to use database. After a year, we moved and I updated our information with no problem. A couple days ago I received an email saying "When you had [dog's name] microchipped, you received free pet protection services from 24PetWatch. But did you know that you can benefit from our premium pet protection services with a Lifetime Protection Membership?" Just a promotional ad, but whatever, it reminded me I needed to update my address since I moved again. So I go to do so and turns out, my account "is currently locked for editing. Please select a membership plan to edit your information"... which is apparently $85.

ALSO I noticed that my information on record had reverted back to the original address I registered with. Thought that was strange, so I decided to test something. I logged out and then used my dogs microchip number to run a "found pet" search. The search was submitted to the company, leaving them responsible to contact me that somebody has found my "lost" dog. I have NOT been contacted (only my address has changed so contacting me should not be an issue).

So apparently 24PetWatch is no longer free like the email says, but literally the most expensive microchip database I have found. So if you're in my boat and have a pet microchipped with 24PetWatch, I would highly suggest registering your info with a different database (or two) so that you don't have to rely on them alone. I would also like to point out that there is no universal microchip database so it wouldn't hurt to register your pets on multiple databases just to be safe anyways.

Original review: April 11, 2018

The shelter that I adopted my kitten from sent this company the wrong email address so I had to call to correct it and get him registered. When I googled the company to get the web address this was the second search result that came up and I got a sinking feeling when I saw the awful reviews and expected difficulty in getting my information corrected. I don't know if I got lucky or they are trying to fix customer service but my experience was positive.

I explained the email situation to the customer rep and she reset my account and took the microchip number and associated it with my account. She asked me if I was interested in their live operator recovery service in the case that my pet is lost (for a fee) or was I comfortable in using the self-service automated system through email. I said I was comfortable with self-service and she asks for authorization to contact in the event that microchip was scanned. She asked me if I was aware of their pet insurance policies and I told her that I was able to get similar coverage through my husband's employer at a discounted rate. She asked that I double check to make sure that the coverage was comparable and if I felt that I could get a better plan through them to feel free to call back for a quote. I had absolutely no hard sell for insurance or to enroll in the monitoring service. My agent was helpful and polite.

Overall it was a positive experience and a relief because I was expecting a hassle based on these reviews. I will admit that I did not sign up for a trial nor have I had to deal with a claim but I felt that the process for the microchip registry was simple and pleasant. Hopefully, others will have an experience more like my own. I gave it a four star rating rather than a five because I only dealt with one aspect of their services. I have no complaints about the service I received.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I contacted customer service today to inquire why I only received a partial credit back to my credit card when I canceled my "Free" 30-day membership of pet insurance. I recently adopted a rescue dog and he came with a Free trial membership for 30 days. My 1st mistake was accepting this "Free" policy (which required my cc to accept the offer). The customer service rep told me that they broke their company policy when they canceled my membership and I was LUCKY that I even received a partial refund. In disbelief and pure shock I asked, "What do you mean I should be lucky?" I emailed my cancellation on the last day of the month which is when was coverage was good through.

The rep, Faizan, said that I should've canceled a day before the end of the month if I expected a full refund. I tried to explain my previous conversation of when I canceled my membership but the customer service rep continued to talk over me and repeat once again that I was lucky. I asked to speak with a manager and Faizan went on to say he'd have to take my name & number for one to get back to me. The whole experience was a joke! I finally cooled down and did speak with a Supervisor when I called back later that day. Supervisor said that she was willing to refund the balance with the exception of .96 cents. Sounds pretty silly but she was serious that the system only allowed her to refund $2.50 processing fee leaving a balance of .96 cents. Unbelievable. It's safe to say, I'll never use 24 Hour Pet Watch for ANY of their per services.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I adopted my cat with a pre-existing microchip from another company (thankfully) as well as a free trial for this pet insurance. Throughout the process of registering for the trial and canceling it, this company outright lied to me trying to convince me they were my cat's microchip provider and that I would have to pay them in order to change the ownership information. Every time I simply corrected the representative lying to me, explaining that I know they are not my cat's microchip company, the conversation would shift to a dark tone and they would become extremely hostile and rude.

Now pay attention to this before you scammed: The actual company my pet's microchip is from allowed me to update my information for FREE. I'm convinced the 24PetWatch trial insurance offer is actually a scam for them to try to get money from new pet adopters for a chip via this method. Lawyers, please contact me for a class action lawsuit, which is bound to happen anytime now.

Original review: March 20, 2018

My pet's microchip was registered with 24PetWatch when I adopted him from a local cat shelter; the shelter confirmed that his microchip would be updated with my information. Two years later I decided to update his information online only to find out that his information, age, breed, etc, is all wrong. When attempting to update his info I was blocked from the account and prompted to purchase a Lifetime Protection Plan for $84.95, for which I paid.

I have, for a week now, been unable to update his information as the website continues to block me from my account stating I must purchase a Lifetime Membership Plan. I phoned the company and they confirmed my payment and stated it could take 24 hours for my plan to register online and to "log in tomorrow". I've attempted login every day for the last week to find myself still unable to update my pet's information. I called the company again, no answer. I emailed the company, no answer. I asked for a cancellation/refund, no answer. I filed a PayPal dispute. I'll be having my pet microchipped with a different company.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

When I called 24PetWatch to register my new kitten I was told that before I could register her I would need to renew my membership for my previous cat who was lost back in June 2017. When I said I was confused about what membership (the previous cat was chipped in 2015) no membership was ever mentioned. He goes, "Oh without that if anything ever happened to her we couldn't help." I said that when I called to report her missing in June nothing about membership was ever said. So if someone had called or contacted them between June 2017 and January 2018 they would not have contacted me because I did not have a membership for her. NO one ever told me anything about a membership or fee. This is very upsetting to now be told that they would have that information but unless I paid membership fees from when it expired to include the current year they were unable to access any information they might have.

So for $87.80, I could possibly find out if anyone had called in. Then if I wanted I to get a membership for my new kitten I had to pay an additional $21.95 but I could get a lifetime membership for both for a grand total of $257.70 (agents quote) I could get $25.00 coupon for Petco. I feel violated they are playing with my emotions saying they might have information about my missing baby but they may not. I have to pay first to find out.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I adopted two sweet cats from a rescue shelter in Colorado named Every Creature Counts (now defunct), they came chipped, and obviously pre-registered since I have received emails from 24PetWatch asking me to "re-register" their chips. Of course, no one tells you this outfit wants to hit you for $85 as a "one-time" fee to even change your phone number, the cat's name, or your contact information. This is a huge scam that preys on people's fear of losing their pets. You believe your pet is registered, and these con artists are really holding the chip number hostage... and until you pay up, you can't even update your damned phone number!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

When I adopted my 2 cats in 2015, the humane society that I bought them from used 24PetWatch microchips. Fast forward to 2018 when I have moved and am trying to update my contact information in case they, god forbid, get lost and I am informed that I cannot change my contact information unless I pay $44 a year to get memberships for both of them so they will unlock my account and allow me to go in and change my own address information.

I have a HomeAgain Chip in my dog and that company is WONDERFUL. They also have a membership with a fee but they do not require you to pay it in order to update the information that may result in your pet getting returned to you safe and sound. Instead their membership fee simply allows you to use actual benefits should you chose to want them like email blasts to people in your area if your pet is lost. I will never again allow my pets to be microchip with a 24PetWatch chip and I strongly encourage you to seek out other options like HomeAgain if you want to have your pets truly protected.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

When my daughter graduated college her dog came to live with us. We attempted to update the chip information through 24PetWatch. She was advised her dog's chip had lapsed and that she would have to pay an annual fee to update and to keep it current. She was told they would not have provided her information if her dog had been lost. We registered the number on a free site and updated the information. This company cares about money, not pets. The dog was adopted from The Pets Alive! shelter in San Antonio, Texas and was required to be chipped by their vet prior to adoption which took place February 2015. I want other customers to know the chip means nothing after one year unless they register the chip number on a free site.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

When I got my cat she came with a chip from 24Petwatch with a years free of service. After the year was up you had to pay $85.00 which I didn’t want to do just yet. But at least my info was accurate on the chip. Yesterday when she went missing I paid the money because my phone number recently changed. After calling them the first time the office phone said they were closed and to call at normal business hours. Which I thought was ridiculous since they are called 24Petwatch and on their stupid website said they are open 24/7/365. I called again and it kept me on hold for over an hour.

After that I gave up and went to their website and posted her chip number. I received an email saying someone will call me shortly and still almost 24 hours later I haven’t heard a thing from them. Thank god we were able to find her ourselves several hours later. I then tried to call back to let them know that she was safe. I still was put on hold for forever and I have been locked out of my account. Do they not want me getting in there??? What is wrong with these scammers. Our pets mean something to us!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I have never used the paid services of 24PetWatch, and do not have an active account with them. However, they routinely send me emails advising me to sign up for their services. Editing your email preferences is locked behind a pay gate, as are all other options such as deleting my (now deceased) dog from their records. This is exploitative, and because their emails are non-transactional (not deriving from a direct action I have taken on their site) it is illegal for them to deny me the ability to unsubscribe from emails via their website. Stay away from this company until they review and fix their processes.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I adopted my dog in New York 10 years ago. She came with a microchip that the rescue organization said was registered with 24 Hour Pet Watch. I decided to insure my dog through them for convenience, as she was already chipped with them. I gave them $19.95 a month for 10 years. I used the insurance only twice in the first two years. They recently more than doubled the cost of their coverage ($49.95 per month,) which I found to be financially unfeasible. I discontinued the coverage. Prior to this, I'd moved back to New Orleans. During this past hurricane season, I realized I may not have updated my address for the microchip. I contacted 24 Hour Pet Watch, only to find out that my dog's chip had NEVER been registered, the entire 10 years she had been insured with them.

I was told that I could register the chip for $80 for my dog's lifetime, but I would receive a coupon for $25 off dog food at PetCo. They never offered a discount on the registration, though clearly, they had been lax. You guessed it. I never got the coupon. I've called four times to obtain the coupon, with a promise each time I'd get it in 5-7 days. No results. My take-away is that 24 Hour Pet Watch has NO regard for your pet. Only money. I now have similar coverage (for a good deal less,) with the ASPCA, a trusted, legitimate organization. Do NOT give your money to 24 Hour Pet Watch.

24PetWatch Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

24Petwatch is a company that specializes in pet protection services. The company is headquartered in Buffalo, New York.

• Variety of services: 24Petwatch does not only offer pet insurance; it also offers lost pet recovery services such as microchip pet registration, pet identification and pet recovery tips.

• Services for dogs and cats: The company will cover both dogs and cats, so pet owners can insure both types of pets.

• Unlimited number of accidents: The company will cover an unlimited number of accidents or illnesses, as long as the amount of payment is under the coverage limit.

• Free quotes: Pet owners do not have to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services, since 24PetWatch offers pet owners free, no-obligation quotes.

• No limits on vet selection: Pet owners can take their pet to any vet of their choosing.

• Best for: Pet owners with dogs and cats, pet owners with loyalty to a vet and pet owners with active, or rambunctious pets.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky