24PetWatch Pet Insurance

Compare Pet Insurance Providers

Research top Pet Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Patti of Des Moines, IA on

I have had this insurance for almost a year and have never had to use it till now. I called in to ask a few questions about what I needed to do and what my deductible is and the person on the other end can't tell you his name because he had so much gum or food in his mouth that I couldn't understand him. He kept muting the phone and took forever to answer my questions. He acted like I was bothering him. I hung up and called back and got him again and asked to speak to a supervisor he why I told him I thought he was a horrible CSR and he put me on hold and came back and told me that no supervisor was available. I call BS to that! I worked customer service before and there are always more than 2 supervisors available. On top of that they upped my monthly premiums to over $40.00. It's an increase of almost 15.00 a month more. Horrible - I am done with them!

Delilah of Morganville Nj, NJ on

I gave one star because it won't let me leave it at no stars. This company is a scam. They doubled my rates and did not tell me. I'm paying almost a car payment a month for two dogs. I never got a letter, a call, and email or anything else. I should have been the one to confirm or deny this increase. I will be canceling and now they won't give me my money back since I never agreed to that. I am so disgusted with such behavior from a company. Please do not use them for pet insurance. Do your hw and research before choosing an insurance. When they were Purina care, they were perfect. Now they take forever with claims and never give back the amount promised. I'm tired of throwing my money away to them. They should be shut down.

Adam of Pleasant Ridge, MI on

I have been a loyal customer of 24PetWatch for about 10 years, and I have dealt with the gradual increases over the years, depending on how many claims I've had with my pets. In 2016, I paid about $82 a month for my 2 dogs, for their top tier policy. Then, when they renewed this year, that jumped to $172 per month!!! More than double, with ZERO NOTICE. When I called, they explained that they now have new underwriters, because their previous rates were "far below market."

Here's the catch... They don't care if you leave them. If you have a lot of claims, your pets are just liabilities to them anyway. And they KNOW you can't go anywhere else if your dog has a pre-existing condition. So you're stuck. Either you stay with them and deal with the ridiculously high rates, or you just don't carry insurance on your dogs, and hope you don't have any major disasters to deal with. Either way, it's a risk, and they don't care. Has anyone heard of any investigations or class actions against them? Because these rate hikes are criminal.

Christa of Port Matilda, PA on

I purchased Purina Insurance in 2012 for my puppy at rate of $44.90 that was supposed to stay the same. Purina sold to 24Petwatch and they instantly started raising rates. I was currently up to around $68 a month but just got my renewal in the mail and as of 6/17 they are charging my original plan of $44.90 will now be $163.18!! They are more than doubling the cost and that is 363% since I started the insurance 5 years ago.

I have always been a loyal customer and now I have to cancel because the fees will be almost $2000 a year. My dog has a pre-existing condition so they know I can't go to any other company and get insured. These outlandish price increases are forcing customers with pre-existing conditions to cancel and the company is perfectly fine with that because these customers are liabilities. Just when these pets need the insurance the most as they age they are being forced out by these price hikes. People are complaining about this all over different sites... this is a HUGE issue. This company needs to be investigated for insurance fraud or a class action needs to be brought against them.

Katherine of Charleston, SC on

I detest this company. The previous company was decent and fair. Then they sold out to this company. Insurance cost doubling is the least of my concerns. I have paid FOUR TIMES since September for my cat's insurance. Each time I receive a letter stating that her insurance has been cancelled for non-payment. I have spent, literally, hours on hold trying to resolve this issue with this disgusting company. THEY SAY THE ISSUE IS RESOLVED, THEIR MISTAKE, SORRY--AND THEN ALONG COMES ANOTHER CANCELLATION NOTICE. I came onto this site because I am hoping that someone has started a Class Action suit against this so-called "company". If no one has, I may try to figure out how to do it myself. AVOID 24PetWatch.com LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24PetWatch Pet Insurance?

Tamara of Birdsboro, PA on

I've had the policy since 2009 when it was Purina and it was great. Then it switched hands to 24PetWatch and since then they've become increasingly more difficult to deal with. The last thing that happened was that I just happen to see a $900+ charge on my credit card from them (the years before it was $200/yr, then $360 when they took over), no bill or anything. When I called they just kept telling me that I signed up for them to automatically charge me in 2014 (which I never did) and that they have my permission to charge my card. They just repeated the same thing to me and said there were no supervisors available for me to talk to. They wouldn't refund anything. Needless to say I cancelled my policy. That company is not an honest business.

Rachael of Lansing, MI on

I have been a member with 24PetWatch for the last 6 years, and suddenly, with no notice, they doubled my pet's premium. I have never had trouble with them before, so was shocked. When I called to inquire, I got a canned response about increasing prices. I've always considered the company to be a good value, so I would understand raising their prices, but doubling with no notice is absolutely ridiculous. Further, when I said I would have to switch policies due to not being able to afford my new one, I was told it was the middle of my policy year, so if I switched now then all previously covered illnesses would be considered pre-existing conditions and not covered. This feels truly unconscionable to me. Buyer beware before you consider purchasing from them - they may double your premiums with no notice.

F of Bradenton, FL on

Pathetically slow on reimbursing claims. We've been waiting close to 8 months to be reimbursed on claims that were submitted. It's been so long that our card on file expired and when they went to reimburse us 2 months ago it would not go through due to an expired card. I've made 3 phone calls over the past 2 months and each time ensured they had the new and correct card on file. They confirm that the correct card is on file and still no reimbursement. We are due over $800.00, which they have confirmed in writing... but have still not reimbursed us.

I've been on hold the last 2 times over 30 minutes waiting on a supervisor. The last time I was told the supervisor would be calling me back, but NEVER received a call. I'm now on hold again for 35 plus minutes and making good use of my time filing this complaint. After having this pet insurance for over 10 years and no claims until this year, they cancelled our policy in Florida, our pet has died and now we are just wanting to get reimbursed for what they have providing in writing that we are due. How hard is this?

Mayank of York, ON on

My first time ever writing a review about the services of a company. I am doing it as responsibility to save others from this pit trap. I have seen coners and scammers but something on a huge level like this is astonishing. Bought a policy for my dog 3 years ago. In one year the premium rate jumped from $25 to $44.88 without any notification without our consent. When I called to ask they said they mailed the renewal package to us. I tracked the date and details of general post with Canada Post and found out that no post was delivered to us on that day.

This company is feeding on your ignorance and hectic life where you have little time to see what your insurance co. is doing with your bank auto deduct account that you provided them with. I asked to speak to a manager and they made me wait 20 mins on phone and the person who attended failed to explain why my dog's premium increased to double the figure in an year without our knowledge. Save your hard earned money and put it where they will treat you honestly. There are many other reviews with same story as mine and this made me withdraw my policy. I lost all the money in the premiums I paid but I am with a better provider now.

Sarah of Port Matilda, PA on

For several years, we had two pet insurance policies with this company. In late 2016, we received written notification that PTZ was switching to a new insurance underwriter and that our policy premiums would rise sharply at their renewal dates in early 2017. Indeed, one policy premium was scheduled to DOUBLE. We called, reduced our policy coverage, and received quotes for the new, cheaper policies. Because one pet's policy was many years old and had been grandfathered in from PurinaCare, this policy was given a new ID number.

The second pet policy kept the same ID number. We understood that our credit card would be billed on the renewal dates in early 2017 for these new, changed policies. So we were shocked when we received a letter in early February of 2017 notifying us that this second policy had not been renewed and was canceled altogether. The reason? They never issued a new policy ID number for it.

We called within days of receiving this cancellation notice. We wanted the policy reinstated because we believed there had been a miscommunication and an error on their part because our intention was to have it renewed and billed to our credit card. They would not hear our explanation and pledged only to have a "supervisor" look into the problem. They told us that someone would called within "1 to 2 business days." Well, no one called. And when we called again, the phone customer service representative said only that she could not help us and that - again - a "supervisor" would have to look into it and that they would call within "1 to 2 business days."

We were loyal customer who paid our policy premiums on time for years and the pet in question didn't even receive any billable care during the lapsed period. But they would not work with us, preferring instead to shove us into a new policy with more exclusions and worse coverage. We will take our business elsewhere and strongly suggest that you do the same.

David of Raymore, MO on

24PetWatch has drastically declined the passing years. I will attempt to keep it short with the following reasons for support and warning for those seeking services: I have ordered a replacement tag, Nov 2016, have had to call three different times to attempt to follow up and yet to receive my pets ID replacement tag. I have paid for this tag on 2 separate occasions despite being told that there was a lifetime warranty. They lost my order in their system and I do not have the original receipt from 7 years ago. This is fraud since I paid for a service and I am not receiving services paid for. In addition, without the tag a person doesn't know who to call or if she even has a chip. So the pet finding service is also questionable. The local pet shelter that initially used this service has now switched companies as of 2017.

Upon attempting to call and speak to a manager there was not a manager on duty. When call was forwarded to a voicemail there was no voice mail available to leave a message and the call was disconnected. I have no confidence in this company, who cannot simply ship a tag to me, could ever orchestrate the reuniting of a loved pet with its owner. The company has also lost it ties with pet supply company, Pet Tango, that went out of business. This was part of the services that were originally paid for and was not compensated for the loss of services and not even notified until I attempted to place an order. Very poor customer service. The turn around in customer service reps leaves those working under trained and under qualified as reflected in the customer service skills. Many questions that are asked require them to ask another person for answers.

Joseph of Elmhurst, NY on

Bought a one-year policy on their website in Jan 2015. In Feb 2017, they unauthorizedly charged $180 for some new policy I don't need. No notice. No follow-up from their customer service. Any potential customer should be aware of it.

Marzena of On, HI on

When I first got this insurance, I was transferred from Pet Care and my rates were lowered. In the last year or two the rate was increased from $57.00 to over $100.00 dollars. I did not even have a claim. A couple days ago I called them to inquire if my fee and deductible was gonna increased after my dog turns 10 and I was reassured there was not going to be any changes. Surprisingly, on February 2, 2017, I received a personalized booklet (I guess that costs money) informing me that rates were going to be $141.00, beginning in April. This is outrageous! Find your pet a different coverage, with a different carrier. Stay away from 24PetWatch.

Marcello of Austin, TX on

WATCH OUT!! I repeat WATCH out when you sign up for this complete BS. I don't think you should sign up in the first place but this is my experience. I got my puppy and the next 2 days I signed up with 24 hour pet watch for this 30 day trial BS. First of all the customer service rep that set up my account straight up said " go to the vet and submit a claim that you'll get reimbursed. All what was discussed is the set up (name address ETC, said we had 30 days. I do as I was told and submit the claim. 2 Weeks after I call to get an update and the gentleman explains the time it takes for review. I ask what this trial covers exactly because the vet recommended some expensive Shampoo and Conditioner (50 Bucks Each!!) and some vitamins. Well the gentleman explained what it covers and by what he said basically my claim will not be reimbursed.

I asked to speak to a supervisor to review this because this was not what I was told when I signed up. He put in a request and said 2-3 days I'll get a call... I didn't. I waited another full week and called back. Same thing, I explained what was going on and the woman this time said she's going to pull my claim ahead to be reviewed by a supervisor and I'll get a call back in 2-3 days... AGAIN no callback and waited another week and a half. On 2/1/2017 I call again to get some answers and the rep tells me the supervisor reviewed my claim and put notes that they "heard" the call recording and said they went over everything with me and I was misunderstood... Keep in mind this trail covers only 10 things. They basically insult me by indirectly saying I'm stupid there's only 10 things the trial covers.

I ask to hear MY OWN phone call with them and they said they think they will not let me hear it... Come on if I knew what my puppy needed wasn't covered don't you think I'll ask the vet for a shampoo and conditioner that I can find at a pet store first??? But no they make it sound like you're in good hands and to just submit the claim that you'll get your money back. LIES! So now we are weeks down the road and all I have now is waiting another 2-3 days for a supervisor to call. I wouldn't recommend ANYONE to sign up with this scam insurance. Such Poor Customer service. DO NOT DO NOT believe anything they say and if you do decide to sign up MAKE SURE that you ask what EXACTLY this "trial" covers AND GET IT IN AN EMAIL because to me it doesn't cover anything your pet would need in the first 30 days of your new pet.

Barbara of Burlington, WI on

In my opinion, this insurance company is a fraudulent scam. I send in a claim and receive an email stating that the claim was incomplete. I then send the information they are requesting (even though it was already sent). They then cancel the first claim sent and start the claim process over, using the later date. After doing this several times, they send a letter stating that the claim was submitted too late. Not once did I submit a claim and receive a payment on the first try.

Leslie of Montgomery, AL on

I have had a policy with 24PetWatch for about a year when I made my first claim. It took weeks (about 2 months) to actually talk with someone about filing. They (through email only) proceeded to tell me, I had to file online. Every time I tried, the site wouldn't recognize me. It told me that I didn't have a valid account number. Once it FINALLY was corrected and I filed, I was told "Your claim is past due to timeline and I didn't send enough information." I faxed the entire medical records pertaining to EVERYTHING. On top of them denying my claim they DOUBLED my monthly payment!!! THIS COMPANY HAS CHANGED NAMES A FEW TIMES. PROBABLY TO HIDE FROM THEIR INACCURACY. I have since tried to cancel my account and no one will respond to me. I will be contacting the bank to be sure they don't take any more money from me.

patty of Newburg, NY on

I was on hold for 1Hr and 42 minutes!!! Claims are taking up to 3 months to get approved!!! When I do get someone on the phone she stated that she could not help me because of the state I was in!!! My aunt called the state attorney general's office!! Please beware of this company!!!

Rebecca of Randolph Center, VT on

I renewed my small dog online on a Sunday. I then tried to register my new dog who was chipped in Korea. I was told that he could not be registered... Then she said that he could be registered. I called back on Monday... which happened to be MLK holiday. The rep said that my Korean dog's chip cannot be registered and to call back on Tuesday. When I called back on Tuesday, they suggested that I get my dog rechipped which I am not comfortable with. I asked for a refund on my first dog while I figure out what to do and they said no. This is less than 48 hours over a holiday weekend. Instead of being courteous and possibly regaining my business when I figure out what to do... they have alienated a customer and I will never use this agency or recommend them. I am trying to work through my credit card company for proper credit.

Simone of Fort Wayne, IN on

24PetWatch always requires me to send in my cat's complete medical history with each claim. I have no problem with this but they keep saying they never received it. My vet and I both faxed in my cat's medical record multiple times the last time I made a claim. No one at 24PetWatch could find it. I missed a monthly payment so 24PetWatch sent me a letter asking for a money order to prevent the policy from being cancelled.

I sent them a money order as requested. Next thing I know, I get a letter in the mail saying my policy has been cancelled. When I called about it, they were like, "Oh yeah, we don't take money orders anymore"??? I never got my money order back either. Customer service is a joke. The reps say they will find out what is going on and call back but they never do. I would rather they just be honest and say they're not going to bother calling me back. Their website is not user friendly either. You can't find the claim form on there. I dare you to try.

Beverly of Middletown, RI on

I have had 24PetWatch insurance for my cat for several years. I originally had Purina insurance until the company was sold to 24PetWatch. I loved doing business with Purina. The customer service reps were the best. My cat has never been sick, but I had purchased the wellness plan along with the insurance with them. 24PetWatch paid every wellness claim in a timely manner and I was very happy. I recommended them to everyone. Now they have sold the company to North River Insurance Co. I have received a notice that my insurance is going from $309 a year to $1059 a year!!! That's over a 300% increase.

Needless to say, I will not be renewing my policy with them when it expires the end of February. I am in the process of trying to find another company with reasonable rates. When I obtained a quote from 24PetWatch this week on the internet (as though I were a new customer), I was given a quote of a little over $600 a year for the same coverage that they now want to charge me $1059. When I told the customer rep this, she denied that it was the same coverage, but it was. What's up with that? Maybe a scam???

Amy of Rosedale, MD on

I got the trial of this insurance for my cat when I adopted her from a local shelter. It's a complete joke. There's a 30-day waiting period for illnesses (conveniently, the trial is 30 days). My cat was diagnosed with a heart murmur about ten days after I got her, and there was no record of her having this prior to adopting her. I called to increase her coverage and see if they would cover her diagnosis and treatment, and they said no. It's not on the list of conditions covered by the trial, so they won't cover it.

It's also considered a "pre-existing condition" so they won't cover it if I increase her coverage, even though she's had a policy with them before we got the diagnosis. I fail to see the point in them giving anyone a "free trial" if they won't cover a sick animal for the duration of the trial. I'll be canceling the policy once my "free trial" is up. I really wish I'd gotten the cat a policy myself after I adopted her. Learn from my mistake and stay very far away from this company.

Josephine of Anaheim, CA on

PLEASE! PLEASE! DO NOT get this Horrible Insurance for your pet. My cat had surgery due to kidney stones. This horrible Insurance company did not pay a penny what so ever. When her benefits stated Xray/Surgery will be covered and she had coverage for $3,000. It took them 60 days to review the claim and were very rude over the phone when following up on the claim. It's like they care when you are enrolling with the company then when something happens to your pet they take FOREVER to review your claim and end up not paying for anything. So disappointed that we paid every month to this HORRIBLE Ins. company. Thank god for Care Credit! Really HORRIBLE and USELESS to have this pet Ins. They are NOT HELPFUL AT ALL!!!

MELISSA of Tampa, FL on

They use adoption agencies to get people to sign up for bogus insurance plans that cost the same as traditional plans but cover virtually nothing, create a TON of loopholes on how your claim has to be processed so that they can get out of paying it and then when you want to speak to a manager they take a message for someone to return your call within 3 business days! It takes 90 days for a claim to be processed, you have to file the claim within some ridiculously short time frame.

My 80 year old father was tricked into getting this at the adoption agency and has been paying over $40 a month for over a year and they have not reimbursed one claim when he has now spent thousands of dollars on his Sammy. I have VPI pet insurance and they have been wonderful. I have waited over a year to file a claim with VPI because my dog was sick and I have had other pressing priorities and they have still paid me in less than a week. Please do NOT be tricked by this company and their employees are completely apathetic.

Roy of Willow Beach, ON on

We have had horrible experience with this company. When the very few times we needed them it took 3 months to get a claim. Called and waiting on hold for close to an hour, sometimes getting dropped and starting over... even their phones don't work. Then finally told that they have no claim in process or on file despite having the confirmation that they received it. Now they come up with an average 61% increase for our pets with just the normal policy book, but nothing specifically stating a policy increase. I have never seen a company operate like this... and the background underwriters have multiple names which makes one wonder why they need to hide under some many tents.

Susan of Vancouver, BC on

When I first got the policies for my 2 dogs they were okay but then things changed in June 2016. I was notified that my monthly rate of $121 was going to be raised to $250 because supposedly they weren't profitable. HUH? I voiced my opinion on that one. I told them no way and canceled both policies. But I had submitted a $135 claim to them in May 2016. OMG as of today it has not been paid. I have spoken to 5 different customer agents and each time I was told they were missing this or that form. Fine each time I complied with their request and was assured the claim would go through.

Today I still have not receive my $104 net payment so I called again. Now they're saying that the Vet didn't indicate a zero balance on my invoice even though it clearly states I paid on my Visa. I am so frustrated you have no idea. I told the supervisor to have the claims people there to call the vet. I owe them nothing. Anyway at this point I am done. Guess I lose the money but my blood pressure can't take any more of this. I will contact whoever I can as far as an insurance board, BBB or anyone else I can file a complaint to. So I highly recommend you seek insurance elsewhere because you will never see your claims paid.

Kelly of Middletown, NY on

I signed up for the free one month trial for my newly adopted pup, and after that read the reviews here on Consumer Affairs. Was very worried about being unable to cancel the trial and having my parent's credit card charged for an unwanted policy. However, I just spoke to them on the phone and was able to successfully cancel my free trial. I was transferred about 3 times, but I only spent a total 15 minutes on the phone before receiving a cancellation confirmation number.

Overall, I am quite happy with my experience with 24PetWatch so far, and would recommend new adopting families to sign up for the trial for just in case moments. So far, the two vet visits we've had, we can afford out of pocket, so I am not that concerned whether or not 24PetWatch reimburses us. I will be submitting two claims and will update my review once I find out whether or not we get our reimbursements. Should 24PetWatch reimburse my claims AND refrain from charging my credit card, I will update this review and also considering purchasing an annual policy with them.

Katie of Tallahassee, FL on

I like many received had issues with the card they had on file and not posting correctly to my bank which has never been an issue until now. I provided an updated expiration date a month and half ago and my policy was cancelled this week. I have a pending claim that I am waiting to be paid. I got some letter in the mail that was a strange combination of two different letters in one. It started out by stating my policy had been cancelled due to lack of payment of premiums, then went on to state that having pet insurance is the best thing I could do for my pet.

I called the customer service number. The rep told me that the company tried on two separate occasions to try and run my number, but it was returned. I had never heard of such a thing, there was enough money to cover the charge. I called my financial institution, the only thing they could find was a request to authorize the monthly payment amount back in October. They could not find record of the other two instances the representative mentioned over the phone. My policy is currently frozen, the customer service representative can't do anything and only a manager can reinstate my account. Oh I have to wait three to five business days to even talk to a manager!!! This is a SHAM! I will be contacting my local Humane Society and vet's office and tell them not to recommend this company to anybody.

Jill of Oradell, NJ on

I've had this insurance for a number of years, and as a pet sitter, even recommended it to my clients. Now, only to find after being certain not to auto pay, I called to renew my annual policy. Was told by the rep it would be about $300 so I paid over the phone. Now I receive my credit card statement, and see that I was charged $764 without my authorization! That's over a 120% increase... Why? They claim they re-evaluated my policy (oh yes, I received a $14 payment for a claim over $700 filled with reasons for payment denial!) How convenient, too, when I tried to cancel, I had to wait for a review which took an extra 2 months of payment.

THEY'RE MASTERS OF FRAUD and need to have a class action suit against them. See all of the complaints on this site with similar concerns... Let's do this already. Big cheats...scandalous and should have to be held accountable. How and why should they be allowed to charge a credit card without authorization? I kept record of every rep, date, and conversation.

Patti of Manassas, VA on

I, as had others, also signed up with Purina and was "sold out" to 24PetWatch. HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE. Claims are held up for MONTHS, with no explanation. Just received my renewal for next year. Policy is going from $300 (and something) a year to over $1,000.00 a year!!!! Which is a lot more than they had to reimburse me for my kitty's tummy problems. Now since her tummy problems are labeled as CHRONIC the odds of getting insurance anywhere else is doubtful. AND STILL waiting to hear on last claim submitted 2 months ago - just for annual shots!!! HORRIBLE COMPANY!!!

April of Scarborough, ON on

24PetWatch is the worse ins. company. Every claim they want the full med history. That's crazy. If it's an existing claim then why do they need the history again and again. It takes 60 to 90 days to get back your money. The whole idea of ins. is to help keep your animal in good care. You can't because they don't reimburse you to use that money again for their health. Vets are expensive and they are not going to wait 2 months for their money. They say the portal is faster NOPE it's not. It's been 60 days already and still have not received my money. Pls choose another pet insurance.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

24Petwatch is a company that specializes in pet protection services. The company is headquartered in Buffalo, New York.

• Variety of services: 24Petwatch does not only offer pet insurance; it also offers lost pet recovery services such as microchip pet registration, pet identification and pet recovery tips.
  • Services for dogs and cats: The company will cover both dogs and cats, so pet owners can insure both types of pets.
  • Unlimited number of accidents: The company will cover an unlimited number of accidents or illnesses, as long as the amount of payment is under the coverage limit.
  • Free quotes: Pet owners do not have to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services, since 24PetWatch offers pet owners free, no-obligation quotes.
  • No limits on vet selection: Pet owners can take their pet to any vet of their choosing.
  • Best for Pet owners with dogs and cats, pet owners with loyalty to a vet and pet owners with active, or rambunctious pets.

Compare Pet Insurance