2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.42/5

24PetWatch Pet Insurance Reviews

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I have been working with 24PetWatch for 7 years now.

I. MY DOG, BELLA

I have a "rescue dog", Bella, now 7-1/2 years old who has unfortunately had a series of terrible medical problems. (This has been a "first" for me. In 50 years, all of my dogs have been healthy.) First, she was hit by a car and required emergency surgery to save that leg; cost was $3,000. Three years later, she was found to have severe bilateral hip dysplasia. 24petwach covered almost all of her $6,000+ surgical bill. Two years after that, she slid on ice and tore the ligaments in her front legs. A metal plate was placed in her right front leg for a cost of $4,000 (?). (The orthopedic surgeon vet recommended against bilateral plates because she was already fairly crippled.)

As a result of these surgeries, Bella has developed pretty severe arthritis. 24petwatch has paid for her to have as much acupuncture and chiropractic adjustments as she needs, as well as an extremely expensive pain medication (the only one she can tolerate) which costs $5/day. In addition, she has been to the Pet ER twice for emergencies -- one was a GI bleed cause by NSAIDs (the usual pain medicine used for arthritis in dogs); and once for respirations of 200/minute, which turned out to be caused by extreme arthritic pain. Each visit was $1,000. [The "classic" insurance which I've had for the past two years even covers a PET AMBULANCE, if necessary!!!]

I estimate that 24petwatch has spent around $25,000 on Bella (less the $250 deductible I pay each year -- i.e., $1,500 + the 20% copays -- around $4,000 = $5,500). Thus total by them is at least $20,000. I originally began my insurance policy for around $40/month = $480/year X 5 years ($2,400) and increased it their maximum coverage of $20,000/year at around $80/month X 2 years ($1,920) -- thus a total of $4,320 for 7 years. Thus, subtracting the cost of the (top quality premiums) from the $20,000 they have paid = $15,000 paid by them. There is absolutely NO way I could have ever afforded that $15,000 in care. I would have had to have Bell put to sleep years ago. Because of 24petwatch, I have had 7 joyful years with The Best Dog in the World. <3

II. MY CAT, MINNOW

I also had an amazing resue kitty named Minnow. She was THE sweetest cat I have ever known. Tragically, she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at almost age 4. Every single bill for her care was paid by 24petwatch including, amazingly, hospice care and cremation. The hospice vet was extraordinarily kind and visited daily for over a week. She taught me how to care for Minnow at home. When she finally had to put Minnow to sleep, it was in my arms and the most gentle death one can imagine. (Her insurance was very little. She had the same deductible as Bella -- i.e., $250.)

IN SUMMARY: With all of the new veterinarian treatments now available for our beloved 4-legged family member, it has been a tremendous blessing to me to know that virtually every treatment needed WILL BE PAID by this wonderful company. Working with them is a blessing, as well: every person with whom I have spoken have been compassionate and courteous.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I got 24petwatch insurance for my pug when he was 6 months old. He is now 4. This insurance company was recommended to me through my teachers union perks. 24Petwatch has always paid my claims as explained in policy. I haven't experienced 1 issue with them and I have submitted over 10 claims in the past 4 years from serious issues to minor issues. They have an online portal where all I have to do is upload a copy of the vet bill and click submit. Within days, I am notified my claim has been processed and a check is in the mail. I recommend this insurance company to everyone who has a dog, especially if the breed is prone to certain medical conditions. It is cheaper to get in on a policy the younger the dog is. It is very easy and user-friendly, no hidden gimmicks. This insurance company has saved me a lot of money with my vet bills. I highly recommend.

24PetWatch Pet Insurance response

Hi Wendy, thanks for your review! We're happy to hear that you are pleased with the claim submission process and that your pug has access to the vet care he needs. Paws up!

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 27, 2019

Wonderful Pet Insurance!! We have insured two Newfoundlands with them and have used them for years. It was upsetting to me all the bad reviews I saw very unfair. We lost our second Newfie in March. She had many many health issues the last two years. They never once ask me for more info or denied a claim. They also covered alternative Ozone treatment towards the end to help her organs function more efficiently. It gave us 6 more months of a happy healthy dog we would not have had otherwise. They covered her meds, even some of the supplements for her kidneys and most of the cost of the euthanasia in the end. We are getting a new Newfie puppy in a few weeks and I will definitely use them again. All of our dogs have been certified therapy dogs and worked at the local hospital, airport and with the crisis response team. They make it very easy to file claims online and were always processed in a timely manner and credited to my bank account.

Original review: April 8, 2019

My Pug has been insured for 13 years; since she was a puppy. No claims in the beginning, but as she aged she developed skin allergies and is prone to bladder and ear infections. 24Pet has always paid my claims as explained in policy. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about 24PetWatch, other than I wish pet insurance was less expensive. They have actually helped me out quite a bit since my dog is so high maintenance.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I adopted a dog from a no kill shelter. The shelter provided a reasonably priced recommendation to insure my new family member with 24 Hour Pet Watch. I have had several dogs and have always been diligent in regular wellness exams and shots. The dog I adopted was 2 1/2 years old at the time but was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma 3 years after I adopted her in July 2019 and passed away after weeks of treatment in August 2019. In September, I reached out to 24 Hour Pet Watch via their website, provided my policy number, reason for my cancellation request (my covered pet was deceased) and never heard back. I received an email with my "renewal documents" and responded to that with the same information but never heard back. I continued to get billed monthly for a policy covering my deceased dog through January 7th which I noticed my my credit card today (a week after being laid off from my job of 20+ years.)

I reached out via phone and reviewed this information, provided the screenshot from my 9/22/19 attempt to cancel and was told that wasn't good enough per the representative and her supervisor because the screenshot of my inquiry only had the company’s response “thank you for your inquiry. A representative will get back to you...” and did not include my actual inquiry statement. I was absolutely insulted and asked her what other reason I would possibly be contacting their business on September after a painful 6 week experience trying to save my dogs life as I watched her die. She coldly stated “I don’t know but unfortunately the screenshot you sent me doesn’t state the reason you reached out.” How is that my - the customers cross to bear?

I reached out to request a cancellation, I received the company’s standard response and snapped that as proof of my inquiry? I was asked by the unsympathetic representative insinuating I was lying to call my vet and have my dog's death certificate sent to an “medicals@pethealthinc.com” email address. I could not believe this company not only didn’t acknowledge my inquiries after providing specific dates and screenshots but didn’t accept its OWN website response to my inquiry and demanded I relive the traumatic experience watching my FAMILY MEMBER/dog die in front of my face over 6 weeks as I spent $25k of my own money trying to save her life - and not once did I put a wellness claim in for reimbursement.

I quickly DUG UP my dog's cremation certificate, a picture of my dogs ashes in a box which had her name inscribed, the sympathy cards I received from the VCA and Emergency Care center and the 5 page VCA document with her diagnosis and treatments. I also noted in the email that I spent $25k of my own money trying to save my loving family member and had never made a claim for ANY "wellness" visits which I did regularly. I was asked to call 24 Hour Pet Watch back after I had provided this information which I did. After numerous attempts met with no response and then additional steps required to "prove" my dog was dead (which was like reliving the traumatic experience). I was able to get a cancellation after the representative received approval from his supervisor.

This company takes your money for pet insurance and/or membership, claims to care about your loved pets health and wellness but makes excuses for its total lack of providing the care and service it advertises. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY - unless you want to have to literally dig up your deceased family member/pet to PROVE you reached out to cancel your policy because your family member its dead. They only care about YOUR MONEY!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24PetWatch Pet Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Do not register your chips with these guys, not even is "free" because it will only be for a short period of time. If you change any information like your phone, address, etc.. Guess what? You would have to pay them $100 to be able to update your info.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

In the process of going through old paper files of one of my pet cats, I discovered one of them had a microchip registered with 24PetWatch originally from the rescue agency we adopted her from. I had forgotten to register her microchip number with our current contact information, so I called 24PetWatch to do this on their website.

The man I spoke to on the phone could not have been more focused on just making a sale for an annual membership, rather than offering me any assistance in updating her information. According to him, not only would I not be able to update my cat's contact information and the breed type (which had been entered in there wrong by the adoption agency who had her microchipped), but this customer service rep told me he would not even be able to take my updated contact information over the phone so at least my cat's correct address, phone number, email, and correct breed were showing in their database! He then told me, "You're not really worried about the cat's breed, are you? If your cat is lost, you will have a 2 hour delay before you could gain access to our database to see any of her information unless you pay for our annual service!" He said this twice to me too even though I told him I couldn't afford to update it now.

I asked him if he could update my cat's information for me just so it was all up to date in their database since I couldn't afford their annual fee to be able to do it myself. He said it was a paid service!?! I told him how shocked I was that 24PetWatch would be so manipulative and behave in an opposite way than the intended purpose of their company, which is supposed to be to help pets! I also told him that while I could understand if I did not pay their $29.95/annual (very expensive too) fee that I would not be entitled to all the services of lost pet alerts being sent out, etc., I would at the very minimum expect that at least my cat's contact information should be maintained as current by the company whether they did it with me over the phone, or they granted me the ability to do it via their website.

This just showed me how poor the morals and ethics are of this company! He then offered reluctantly as if he were doing me a tremendous favor that he would update my cat's contact information "this one time". But he said it with such an attitude that I told him not to bother! Instead, I called my vet to make arrangements to have a new microchip put in my cat from a more reputable company: HomeAgain. That's when my vet told me 24PetWatch's microchips are NOT guaranteed to NOT MIGRATE ELSEWHERE IN YOUR CAT!

My cat's 24PetWatch microchip indeed had been lost somewhere inside my cat! My vet confirmed their records that a new microchip had already been placed in my cat using HomeAgain and she was registered with this company! HomeAgain WILL also let you update your pet's contact information any time you wish AT NO FEE on their website/database! I will be writing a great review for HomeAgain, but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NEVER USING 24PETWATCH because all they care about is taking your money!...not ensuring your precious pets' information is correct and accurate in their database!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Updated on 01/14/2020: It has now been 5 days and multiple calls and emails to this company and I have yet to hear back from Oscar. This is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous for a business. Please do yourself a favor and Microchip with a different company. They will sign your dog over to ANYONE! Even the person who stole my dog. And then they don't return emails or calls. Have some integrity! Shady AF.

Original review: My dogs MicroChip was switched to a person that stole my dog. I was NEVER contacted by the company and neither was the breeder when they changed my dogs ownership with FORGED documents. I presented the Original bill of sale AND the original microchip paperwork from when my dog was chipped. I paid a fee and had everything fixed. Then I received a call from Oscar telling me ownership was going back to the thief because they provided more forged documents. I presented A Court Ordered Document from the Superior Court of CA issuing a civil stand by to acquire my dog from the thieves, because I provided the court with proof of ownership. I have had my dog back in my possession since December 7th thanks to the Citrus Heights Police Department. This company is SHADY AF and will sign your dog over to anyone. Even after you provide proof of ownership.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I was recommended this Insurance by the shelter that I adopted my dog from 5 years ago. They also did the microchip. I had full coverage but then drop it to just injury after about a year. I keep the injury insurance because as they said, ”She is young and if she is active it would be good to have it for any injury she gets.” I decided to stick with injury insurance. My dog was chasing a squirrel and of course accident happened after hours for a vet. She was limping and holding leg up. I took her to emergency clinic. They said she had cruciate ligament tear. They gave me medicine and said follow with regular vet within two weeks. I, of course, called insurance and sent the notes from the doctor at emergency vet. They had all the hospitals wrong.

After getting that straight, they requested more notes from my vet for health history. She has a clean bill of health. They were so very prompt in denying my claim. They said it was a disease. I called and I said a condition or disease would be slow not sudden. Again they said try to fight it and you will lose. I’m sure I will. Three doctors have said “injury”. As I write this she lays in the couch and has to be lifted. She is lifted to go to the bathroom outside. The stress of the one leg doing all the work has caused more damage. I live on one income and am disabled and whatever spare money I have has been going to her treatment. She needs surgery but I don’t have the funds until income tax time.

In researching, I have found that this is the most common injury in dogs and I believe they decided to come up with a bogus excuse not to pay. I am heartbroken because of this corrupt rip off heartless company that shows pictures of caring for animals in all ads. Meanwhile they deliberately allow animals to suffer from this type of injury after I paid I to it for 5 years.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

We DO NOT recommend 24PetWatch. Our dog was stolen by a woman that we have a restraining order against (she busted down our front door back in October and tried to attack both of us). This woman called 24PetWatch and told them her boyfriend stole her dog and they just changed all of our information into her name without verifying anything. This woman is on heavy psychotic medication and we are very concerned for our family member (a 7 month old German Shepherd named Dakota). We have now had to hire a lawyer and have to wait at least 45 days until our court date to get him back. We could potentially get him back sooner if they would put his microchip back in our name, but they refuse to take action.

This company DID NOT call us to verify or even try to see if anything she told them was true. They just changed it. Then when we found out and insisted they change it back they said we have to provide legal documentation from the court that the Dakota belongs to us. We sent them everything we have proving that Dakota is rightfully ours and I have not heard back from them in 2 weeks (other than 1 returned call saying, "We are working on things."). They took our money and yet don't care that they have put our dog in jeopardy.

This company is unethical. They don't care. They know they made a mistake and instead of correcting it they are hiding from us. Not responding to emails or following up with updates. Your pet is NOT safe with this company! Please share this with anyone and everyone. Our family is going through hell missing and worrying about Dakota. I do not wish this on any other innocent family!

Not sure about 24PetWatch Pet Insurance?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Pet Insurance for you.

24PetWatch Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

24Petwatch is a company that specializes in pet protection services. The company is headquartered in Buffalo, New York.

• Variety of services: 24Petwatch does not only offer pet insurance; it also offers lost pet recovery services such as microchip pet registration, pet identification and pet recovery tips.

• Services for dogs and cats: The company will cover both dogs and cats, so pet owners can insure both types of pets.

• Unlimited number of accidents: The company will cover an unlimited number of accidents or illnesses, as long as the amount of payment is under the coverage limit.

• Free quotes: Pet owners do not have to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services, since 24PetWatch offers pet owners free, no-obligation quotes.

• No limits on vet selection: Pet owners can take their pet to any vet of their choosing.

• Best for: Pet owners with dogs and cats, pet owners with loyalty to a vet and pet owners with active, or rambunctious pets.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor