2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.35/5

24PetWatch Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24PetWatch Pet Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24PetWatch Pet Insurance?

Original review: May 8, 2020

My dog will be 14 in June and she has had health insurance through 24 PetWatch for 13 years. I cannot say enough good things about this company. I have watched this company grow and change over the years- it only gets better and more efficient. Their plans for level of coverage are very clear, their online service portal could not be easier, and I have never been denied a claim. Even when claims were done by mail and email, the phone service was compassionate and excellent (but I do love the online portal!!!).

My dog has had very serious (costly) issues over her life (Lyme, pancreatitis, Addison's) and in her waning years we have been dealt another blow with Congestive Heart Failure. Throughout- 24PetWatch has been there, always providing the coverage they promised and zero, ZERO, drama or haggling. There was a time about 4 years ago that my state changed the laws for pet health insurance and companies had to scrambled to get re-approved to do business in the state. It was terrible because my dog had recently been diagnosed with secondary Addison's (from the Lyme)- I researched other options and was floored by options- so many loopholes and disclaimers. Thankfully things worked out and they back-covered my dog so it was seamless.

With 24PetWatch, what you read is what you get- no hidden fine print. They review claims within 24hrs, and process them quickly when you provide correct documentation. I've never seen a claim take longer than 48 hrs in 13 years. Checks are received in a timely manner through USPS. If only human health insurance were this easy!!!! I can't bear to think of losing my girl, but if the time comes that we get another dog, I would not even research other companies. I would sign up with 24PetWatch from day one.

Original review: April 27, 2020

24PetWatch has been my dog's insurance since he was a puppy. It was not until he was older when medical issues began to arise and his pet insurance was put to the test. With some years his bills were very expensive but 24PetWatch honored his policy and paid promptly. We are still renewing our insurance each year without any issues. 24PetWatch has made some tough decisions a lot easier. Thank you 24PetWatch for always being honest and reliable in your coverage!

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 25, 2020

24PetWatch has been a lifesaver with our two year old rescue dog. We were given a free one month trial through the adoption agency that brought him to us, and have stuck with them. Our baby has had more medical issues than any dog should at his age, from hip and elbow dysplasia that both required surgery in his first year, to idiopathic epilepsy requiring Specialist visits and an array of monthly meds, and more recently, a torn ACL also requiring surgery. Had we known that destructo dog would have these medical issues, we might have gone with a plan that has unlimited coverage once you hit a certain point, or at least a policy with a higher coverage limit, but we increased his policy at the time of renewal so have had no problem getting his more recent issues covered (we simply ran out of coverage the first year so had to pay the balance out of pocket - not the company’s fault since we picked the policy limit).

24PetWatch is very reasonably priced compared to some other options, and the claims process is extremely straightforward and easy (I usually submit claims within minutes on my phone). I generally have my refund within a week. I obviously can’t speak to issues others have had cancelling the policy, and luckily have not had to deal with his microchip at all, but changing our address when we moved last year wasn’t an issue online.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Saved me a lot of money. My dog Becky ate a hairpin and it was a nightmare for me to go to the vet. The charges came upto $4000 and 24Petwatch team reimbursed the charges in just 10 days time. I am very happy with their service.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

Do your research. I adopted a cat from a local shelter. In my adoption package was a flyer for 24 Hour Pet Watch & Insurance. I signed up without researching the company thinking if the shelter was promoting, they must be credible, WRONG! Unfortunately, the cat I adopted was very ill, who would have known?!? Nonetheless, 24 Hour Insurance didn’t want to pay for any of her care, they were very slow to respond (other than to deny my claim) and very to deal with, lots of back and forth and scripted responses. Lesson here .... do YOUR OWN research. Sadly, the shelter isn’t interested in pursuing any action toward 24 Hour as they also have a microchip program. We’ll take care if this sweet animal ourselves and now that she’s been diagnosed with terminal cancer, any other insurance coverage is impossible. Sad but true reality of insurance companies.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Scam of a company...Only out for money..Lies! Never use this company! Want enormous amount of money for to do anything regarding a lost pet even when they have number. Do not use them for anything...So sad. Stay far away. I am not alone. Look at their negative reviews. Shame on them.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

Zero stars. Adopted a puppy for the family and was given a free trial of insurance. We didn't want to purchase insurance but I must have checked the wrong box because $40.40 started coming out of my account every month unknown to us. A year and $600+ later I called the number on my statement, talked to a rude CS and tried to cancel. In order to cancel I had to have the shelter's name and our adopted name of our last six pets, some now deceased. After a heated exchange on the phone they agreed to cancel the policy. Buy pet insurance if you will, but beware of buying insurance against your will.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I am submitting this review due to the very bad experience I had with this company. I would give it "Zero" stars, but that is not an option. I had this pet insurance with all of my cats (all were rescues). Never had a problem until I filed a claim for one of my furbabies. He had to have eye surgery to remove an eye that was causing him pain. After the procedure, I submitted all of the paperwork needed. That is when the troubles started. They said I was missing paperwork and needed to resubmit. I did this a total of five (5) times!!!! Each time the same reason was given. I called customer service and they said the same thing. The one person that helped (I forgot her name, but she was helpful) gathered all of my paperwork and submitted it for me.

A week later, got a letter saying we were denied again, for the same reason we were denied 5 times! Called again and got a supervisor. Told her that I was cancelling all of my policies and needed an answer in regards to my last claim. She said she would help and she submitted (again) all of the paperwork. This was almost a month ago and have not received any response or correspondence from the company. WILL not do business with again and will tell all of my friends and anyone who will listen not to do business with this company. They are nothing but a bunch of crooks peddling a product that uninformed people purchase and get fleeced by them. They were quick to take my money for the years I had them, but when I needed them to do what their policy asks for, I get no response or help.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

I adopted an FIV+ kitten last year. I initially purchased this insurance for her after scouring the document to make sure she would be covered for any illness that might affect her worse because of her condition. A month, a respiratory infection claim was denied as a "pre-existing condition" - FIV is not a respiratory infection. After fighting over semantics of the policy agreement, I gave up on getting any reimbursement. Luckily for the rest of the year, she was healthy, and I never ended up using the insurance at all.

A year later, the policy auto-renewed without any kind of communication. Shady, especially since the agreement states I would be contacted, but not unheard of. When I saw the additional charge on my account, I logged in and was able to see the new policy. A very specific clause had been added: "If FIV [is present], then no Illness Coverage is available." I purchased the policy because of the (disclosed) FIV diagnosis. To add in a change like that without notifying me makes the policy essentially useless.

After learning this, I called to cancel and waited on hold for 45 minutes. I sent in an email to customer care, and admittedly forgot about it and never heard back. Months later, I noticed I was still being charged (I know I know, I should have been paying closer attention). I called the company, who said they never received my email but would gladly cancel for me today. In summary, I spent $500 for nothing. Do your research and go with a company that is transparent with its customers. In addition, long hold times on the phone are the only reliable way to contact them.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

24petwatch Pet Insurance info was provided by the spca when I adopted my dog (wonderful pet). The spca made it clear they did not endorse 24petwatch. That's good because 24petwatch's operation appears to be designed to make the claims process all but impossible to navigate through. The phone reps requesting info are in no way the final say in what is required. That "disapproval" comes from another group that you can't contact. I was told 3 times I had submitted everything needed only to be told later that I had not submitted all that was needed. I consider this operation a scam. Steer clear.

24PetWatch Pet Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

24Petwatch is a company that specializes in pet protection services. The company is headquartered in Buffalo, New York.

• Variety of services: 24Petwatch does not only offer pet insurance; it also offers lost pet recovery services such as microchip pet registration, pet identification and pet recovery tips.

• Services for dogs and cats: The company will cover both dogs and cats, so pet owners can insure both types of pets.

• Unlimited number of accidents: The company will cover an unlimited number of accidents or illnesses, as long as the amount of payment is under the coverage limit.

• Free quotes: Pet owners do not have to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services, since 24PetWatch offers pet owners free, no-obligation quotes.

• No limits on vet selection: Pet owners can take their pet to any vet of their choosing.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor