Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.52/5

24PetWatch Pet Insurance Reviews

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Saved me a lot of money. My dog Becky ate a hairpin and it was a nightmare for me to go to the vet. The charges came upto $4000 and 24Petwatch team reimbursed the charges in just 10 days time. I am very happy with their service.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I have been working with 24PetWatch for 7 years now.

I. MY DOG, BELLA

I have a "rescue dog", Bella, now 7-1/2 years old who has unfortunately had a series of terrible medical problems. (This has been a "first" for me. In 50 years, all of my dogs have been healthy.) First, she was hit by a car and required emergency surgery to save that leg; cost was $3,000. Three years later, she was found to have severe bilateral hip dysplasia. 24petwach covered almost all of her $6,000+ surgical bill. Two years after that, she slid on ice and tore the ligaments in her front legs. A metal plate was placed in her right front leg for a cost of $4,000 (?). (The orthopedic surgeon vet recommended against bilateral plates because she was already fairly crippled.)

As a result of these surgeries, Bella has developed pretty severe arthritis. 24petwatch has paid for her to have as much acupuncture and chiropractic adjustments as she needs, as well as an extremely expensive pain medication (the only one she can tolerate) which costs $5/day. In addition, she has been to the Pet ER twice for emergencies -- one was a GI bleed cause by NSAIDs (the usual pain medicine used for arthritis in dogs); and once for respirations of 200/minute, which turned out to be caused by extreme arthritic pain. Each visit was $1,000. [The "classic" insurance which I've had for the past two years even covers a PET AMBULANCE, if necessary!!!]

I estimate that 24petwatch has spent around $25,000 on Bella (less the $250 deductible I pay each year -- i.e., $1,500 + the 20% copays -- around $4,000 = $5,500). Thus total by them is at least $20,000. I originally began my insurance policy for around $40/month = $480/year X 5 years ($2,400) and increased it their maximum coverage of $20,000/year at around $80/month X 2 years ($1,920) -- thus a total of $4,320 for 7 years. Thus, subtracting the cost of the (top quality premiums) from the $20,000 they have paid = $15,000 paid by them. There is absolutely NO way I could have ever afforded that $15,000 in care. I would have had to have Bell put to sleep years ago. Because of 24petwatch, I have had 7 joyful years with The Best Dog in the World. <3

II. MY CAT, MINNOW

I also had an amazing resue kitty named Minnow. She was THE sweetest cat I have ever known. Tragically, she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at almost age 4. Every single bill for her care was paid by 24petwatch including, amazingly, hospice care and cremation. The hospice vet was extraordinarily kind and visited daily for over a week. She taught me how to care for Minnow at home. When she finally had to put Minnow to sleep, it was in my arms and the most gentle death one can imagine. (Her insurance was very little. She had the same deductible as Bella -- i.e., $250.)

IN SUMMARY: With all of the new veterinarian treatments now available for our beloved 4-legged family member, it has been a tremendous blessing to me to know that virtually every treatment needed WILL BE PAID by this wonderful company. Working with them is a blessing, as well: every person with whom I have spoken have been compassionate and courteous.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I got 24petwatch insurance for my pug when he was 6 months old. He is now 4. This insurance company was recommended to me through my teachers union perks. 24Petwatch has always paid my claims as explained in policy. I haven't experienced 1 issue with them and I have submitted over 10 claims in the past 4 years from serious issues to minor issues. They have an online portal where all I have to do is upload a copy of the vet bill and click submit. Within days, I am notified my claim has been processed and a check is in the mail. I recommend this insurance company to everyone who has a dog, especially if the breed is prone to certain medical conditions. It is cheaper to get in on a policy the younger the dog is. It is very easy and user-friendly, no hidden gimmicks. This insurance company has saved me a lot of money with my vet bills. I highly recommend.

24PetWatch Pet Insurance response

Hi Wendy, thanks for your review! We're happy to hear that you are pleased with the claim submission process and that your pug has access to the vet care he needs. Paws up!

Original review: June 27, 2019

Wonderful Pet Insurance!! We have insured two Newfoundlands with them and have used them for years. It was upsetting to me all the bad reviews I saw very unfair. We lost our second Newfie in March. She had many many health issues the last two years. They never once ask me for more info or denied a claim. They also covered alternative Ozone treatment towards the end to help her organs function more efficiently. It gave us 6 more months of a happy healthy dog we would not have had otherwise. They covered her meds, even some of the supplements for her kidneys and most of the cost of the euthanasia in the end. We are getting a new Newfie puppy in a few weeks and I will definitely use them again. All of our dogs have been certified therapy dogs and worked at the local hospital, airport and with the crisis response team. They make it very easy to file claims online and were always processed in a timely manner and credited to my bank account.

Original review: April 8, 2019

My Pug has been insured for 13 years; since she was a puppy. No claims in the beginning, but as she aged she developed skin allergies and is prone to bladder and ear infections. 24Pet has always paid my claims as explained in policy. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about 24PetWatch, other than I wish pet insurance was less expensive. They have actually helped me out quite a bit since my dog is so high maintenance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24PetWatch Pet Insurance?

Original review: March 25, 2020

I feel for the other respondent, Sydney, as I had the same experience with this company. I lost my cat on Leap Day of this year and I called to update my contact information as I had not done so since adopting the cat from her former owner. $29.95 annual to update my information. For nothing. If my cat is found, she goes to the Humane Society, and of course they're going to contact the former owner. I'm on their website daily, for free. I feel this company is just pandering to your emotions at the moment. Also, my other cat, her sibling, had its chip migrate and we replaced it with Home Again.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I made an account on this website just to talk about how terrible they are. Firstly, you never actually need the insurance because they cover nothing. Next, when you go to cancel it, the whole process is very shady and not you either get put on hold for an hour or email an incompetent representative. I went to cancel and guess what? It didn’t actually cancel. I got a charge and then had to call (wait on hold for 30 minutes) and then they canceled it again. I am waiting to see if the charge goes through or else I’ll have to deal with my bank. Absolutely scumbag company and would not recommend to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I had no idea that I've been paying for one of their most expensive plans for months after receiving a "free" one month trial from the animal shelter where I adopted my cat. I never once got an email informing me that my cat's insurance plan was active or that they'd received my payments or anything. I'm so upset that a company which seemed so reputable would engage in this sneaky behavior. It seems they'd have a lot better reviews if they were more explicit about their policies. I could have gotten use out of this plan for the past 8 months but I guess they didn't want me to know that.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I adopted a dog from a no kill shelter. The shelter provided a reasonably priced recommendation to insure my new family member with 24 Hour Pet Watch. I have had several dogs and have always been diligent in regular wellness exams and shots. The dog I adopted was 2 1/2 years old at the time but was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma 3 years after I adopted her in July 2019 and passed away after weeks of treatment in August 2019. In September, I reached out to 24 Hour Pet Watch via their website, provided my policy number, reason for my cancellation request (my covered pet was deceased) and never heard back. I received an email with my "renewal documents" and responded to that with the same information but never heard back. I continued to get billed monthly for a policy covering my deceased dog through January 7th which I noticed my my credit card today (a week after being laid off from my job of 20+ years.)

I reached out via phone and reviewed this information, provided the screenshot from my 9/22/19 attempt to cancel and was told that wasn't good enough per the representative and her supervisor because the screenshot of my inquiry only had the company’s response “thank you for your inquiry. A representative will get back to you...” and did not include my actual inquiry statement. I was absolutely insulted and asked her what other reason I would possibly be contacting their business on September after a painful 6 week experience trying to save my dogs life as I watched her die. She coldly stated “I don’t know but unfortunately the screenshot you sent me doesn’t state the reason you reached out.” How is that my - the customers cross to bear?

I reached out to request a cancellation, I received the company’s standard response and snapped that as proof of my inquiry? I was asked by the unsympathetic representative insinuating I was lying to call my vet and have my dog's death certificate sent to an “medicals@pethealthinc.com” email address. I could not believe this company not only didn’t acknowledge my inquiries after providing specific dates and screenshots but didn’t accept its OWN website response to my inquiry and demanded I relive the traumatic experience watching my FAMILY MEMBER/dog die in front of my face over 6 weeks as I spent $25k of my own money trying to save her life - and not once did I put a wellness claim in for reimbursement.

I quickly DUG UP my dog's cremation certificate, a picture of my dogs ashes in a box which had her name inscribed, the sympathy cards I received from the VCA and Emergency Care center and the 5 page VCA document with her diagnosis and treatments. I also noted in the email that I spent $25k of my own money trying to save my loving family member and had never made a claim for ANY "wellness" visits which I did regularly. I was asked to call 24 Hour Pet Watch back after I had provided this information which I did. After numerous attempts met with no response and then additional steps required to "prove" my dog was dead (which was like reliving the traumatic experience). I was able to get a cancellation after the representative received approval from his supervisor.

This company takes your money for pet insurance and/or membership, claims to care about your loved pets health and wellness but makes excuses for its total lack of providing the care and service it advertises. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY - unless you want to have to literally dig up your deceased family member/pet to PROVE you reached out to cancel your policy because your family member its dead. They only care about YOUR MONEY!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Do not register your chips with these guys, not even is "free" because it will only be for a short period of time. If you change any information like your phone, address, etc.. Guess what? You would have to pay them $100 to be able to update your info.

24PetWatch Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

24Petwatch is a company that specializes in pet protection services. The company is headquartered in Buffalo, New York.

• Variety of services: 24Petwatch does not only offer pet insurance; it also offers lost pet recovery services such as microchip pet registration, pet identification and pet recovery tips.

• Services for dogs and cats: The company will cover both dogs and cats, so pet owners can insure both types of pets.

• Unlimited number of accidents: The company will cover an unlimited number of accidents or illnesses, as long as the amount of payment is under the coverage limit.

• Free quotes: Pet owners do not have to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services, since 24PetWatch offers pet owners free, no-obligation quotes.

• No limits on vet selection: Pet owners can take their pet to any vet of their choosing.

• Best for: Pet owners with dogs and cats, pet owners with loyalty to a vet and pet owners with active, or rambunctious pets.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor