2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.01/5

24PetWatch Pet Insurance Reviews

Original review: May 8, 2020

My dog will be 14 in June and she has had health insurance through 24 PetWatch for 13 years. I cannot say enough good things about this company. I have watched this company grow and change over the years- it only gets better and more efficient. Their plans for level of coverage are very clear, their online service portal could not be easier, and I have never been denied a claim. Even when claims were done by mail and email, the phone service was compassionate and excellent (but I do love the online portal!!!).

My dog has had very serious (costly) issues over her life (Lyme, pancreatitis, Addison's) and in her waning years we have been dealt another blow with Congestive Heart Failure. Throughout- 24PetWatch has been there, always providing the coverage they promised and zero, ZERO, drama or haggling. There was a time about 4 years ago that my state changed the laws for pet health insurance and companies had to scrambled to get re-approved to do business in the state. It was terrible because my dog had recently been diagnosed with secondary Addison's (from the Lyme)- I researched other options and was floored by options- so many loopholes and disclaimers. Thankfully things worked out and they back-covered my dog so it was seamless.

With 24PetWatch, what you read is what you get- no hidden fine print. They review claims within 24hrs, and process them quickly when you provide correct documentation. I've never seen a claim take longer than 48 hrs in 13 years. Checks are received in a timely manner through USPS. If only human health insurance were this easy!!!! I can't bear to think of losing my girl, but if the time comes that we get another dog, I would not even research other companies. I would sign up with 24PetWatch from day one.

Original review: April 27, 2020

24PetWatch has been my dog's insurance since he was a puppy. It was not until he was older when medical issues began to arise and his pet insurance was put to the test. With some years his bills were very expensive but 24PetWatch honored his policy and paid promptly. We are still renewing our insurance each year without any issues. 24PetWatch has made some tough decisions a lot easier. Thank you 24PetWatch for always being honest and reliable in your coverage!

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 25, 2020

24PetWatch has been a lifesaver with our two year old rescue dog. We were given a free one month trial through the adoption agency that brought him to us, and have stuck with them. Our baby has had more medical issues than any dog should at his age, from hip and elbow dysplasia that both required surgery in his first year, to idiopathic epilepsy requiring Specialist visits and an array of monthly meds, and more recently, a torn ACL also requiring surgery. Had we known that destructo dog would have these medical issues, we might have gone with a plan that has unlimited coverage once you hit a certain point, or at least a policy with a higher coverage limit, but we increased his policy at the time of renewal so have had no problem getting his more recent issues covered (we simply ran out of coverage the first year so had to pay the balance out of pocket - not the company’s fault since we picked the policy limit).

24PetWatch is very reasonably priced compared to some other options, and the claims process is extremely straightforward and easy (I usually submit claims within minutes on my phone). I generally have my refund within a week. I obviously can’t speak to issues others have had cancelling the policy, and luckily have not had to deal with his microchip at all, but changing our address when we moved last year wasn’t an issue online.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I have been working with 24PetWatch for 7 years now.

I. MY DOG, BELLA

I have a "rescue dog", Bella, now 7-1/2 years old who has unfortunately had a series of terrible medical problems. (This has been a "first" for me. In 50 years, all of my dogs have been healthy.) First, she was hit by a car and required emergency surgery to save that leg; cost was $3,000. Three years later, she was found to have severe bilateral hip dysplasia. 24petwach covered almost all of her $6,000+ surgical bill. Two years after that, she slid on ice and tore the ligaments in her front legs. A metal plate was placed in her right front leg for a cost of $4,000 (?). (The orthopedic surgeon vet recommended against bilateral plates because she was already fairly crippled.)

As a result of these surgeries, Bella has developed pretty severe arthritis. 24petwatch has paid for her to have as much acupuncture and chiropractic adjustments as she needs, as well as an extremely expensive pain medication (the only one she can tolerate) which costs $5/day. In addition, she has been to the Pet ER twice for emergencies -- one was a GI bleed cause by NSAIDs (the usual pain medicine used for arthritis in dogs); and once for respirations of 200/minute, which turned out to be caused by extreme arthritic pain. Each visit was $1,000. [The "classic" insurance which I've had for the past two years even covers a PET AMBULANCE, if necessary!!!]

I estimate that 24petwatch has spent around $25,000 on Bella (less the $250 deductible I pay each year -- i.e., $1,500 + the 20% copays -- around $4,000 = $5,500). Thus total by them is at least $20,000. I originally began my insurance policy for around $40/month = $480/year X 5 years ($2,400) and increased it their maximum coverage of $20,000/year at around $80/month X 2 years ($1,920) -- thus a total of $4,320 for 7 years. Thus, subtracting the cost of the (top quality premiums) from the $20,000 they have paid = $15,000 paid by them. There is absolutely NO way I could have ever afforded that $15,000 in care. I would have had to have Bell put to sleep years ago. Because of 24petwatch, I have had 7 joyful years with The Best Dog in the World. <3

II. MY CAT, MINNOW

I also had an amazing resue kitty named Minnow. She was THE sweetest cat I have ever known. Tragically, she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at almost age 4. Every single bill for her care was paid by 24petwatch including, amazingly, hospice care and cremation. The hospice vet was extraordinarily kind and visited daily for over a week. She taught me how to care for Minnow at home. When she finally had to put Minnow to sleep, it was in my arms and the most gentle death one can imagine. (Her insurance was very little. She had the same deductible as Bella -- i.e., $250.)

IN SUMMARY: With all of the new veterinarian treatments now available for our beloved 4-legged family member, it has been a tremendous blessing to me to know that virtually every treatment needed WILL BE PAID by this wonderful company. Working with them is a blessing, as well: every person with whom I have spoken have been compassionate and courteous.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I got 24petwatch insurance for my pug when he was 6 months old. He is now 4. This insurance company was recommended to me through my teachers union perks. 24Petwatch has always paid my claims as explained in policy. I haven't experienced 1 issue with them and I have submitted over 10 claims in the past 4 years from serious issues to minor issues. They have an online portal where all I have to do is upload a copy of the vet bill and click submit. Within days, I am notified my claim has been processed and a check is in the mail. I recommend this insurance company to everyone who has a dog, especially if the breed is prone to certain medical conditions. It is cheaper to get in on a policy the younger the dog is. It is very easy and user-friendly, no hidden gimmicks. This insurance company has saved me a lot of money with my vet bills. I highly recommend.

24PetWatch Pet Insurance response

Hi Wendy, thanks for your review! We're happy to hear that you are pleased with the claim submission process and that your pug has access to the vet care he needs. Paws up!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24PetWatch Pet Insurance?

Original review: May 7, 2020

The adoptive home of a cat I fostered surrendered the cat back to me. The woman had some trouble trying to transfer ownership in terms of authority to register as owner on his microchip, and had to call them to get it started. She then told me I had to call them to confirm the surrender before it could go through. When I called, I was told I would have to pay a $22 transfer fee to get authority over his chip info back, but that the fee would be waived if I signed up for one of their monthly monitoring plans.

Being that I am in animal rescue work, I immediately recognized that as a scam, the legal term for it is extortion. Never before has anyone tried to charge me for transferring ownership as it would mean many pets would end up going without updated and current owner contact info. Furthermore, I could get an whole new chip implanted for $15, with lifetime access to changes and updates on registration info included in that cost. I called the company I use to keep track of my microchip registrations and they confirmed, NEVER pay for that.

They immediately got the number released for me to re-register as well. This is a deceptive business practice that to me is a major red flag for this company. I would hate to think of what they would charge if your pet went missing. Would they charge someone who found the pet to contact the owner or release owner info? Be very, VERY cautious about using this company. Do your research on them thoroughly first, or better yet, use one who is not looking to cash in by nickel and diming you for things that would otherwise be free elsewhere.

Original review: March 25, 2020

I feel for the other respondent, Sydney, as I had the same experience with this company. I lost my cat on Leap Day of this year and I called to update my contact information as I had not done so since adopting the cat from her former owner. $29.95 annual to update my information. For nothing. If my cat is found, she goes to the Humane Society, and of course they're going to contact the former owner. I'm on their website daily, for free. I feel this company is just pandering to your emotions at the moment. Also, my other cat, her sibling, had its chip migrate and we replaced it with Home Again.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I made an account on this website just to talk about how terrible they are. Firstly, you never actually need the insurance because they cover nothing. Next, when you go to cancel it, the whole process is very shady and not you either get put on hold for an hour or email an incompetent representative. I went to cancel and guess what? It didn’t actually cancel. I got a charge and then had to call (wait on hold for 30 minutes) and then they canceled it again. I am waiting to see if the charge goes through or else I’ll have to deal with my bank. Absolutely scumbag company and would not recommend to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Saved me a lot of money. My dog Becky ate a hairpin and it was a nightmare for me to go to the vet. The charges came upto $4000 and 24Petwatch team reimbursed the charges in just 10 days time. I am very happy with their service.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I had no idea that I've been paying for one of their most expensive plans for months after receiving a "free" one month trial from the animal shelter where I adopted my cat. I never once got an email informing me that my cat's insurance plan was active or that they'd received my payments or anything. I'm so upset that a company which seemed so reputable would engage in this sneaky behavior. It seems they'd have a lot better reviews if they were more explicit about their policies. I could have gotten use out of this plan for the past 8 months but I guess they didn't want me to know that.

24PetWatch Pet Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

24Petwatch is a company that specializes in pet protection services. The company is headquartered in Buffalo, New York.

• Variety of services: 24Petwatch does not only offer pet insurance; it also offers lost pet recovery services such as microchip pet registration, pet identification and pet recovery tips.

• Services for dogs and cats: The company will cover both dogs and cats, so pet owners can insure both types of pets.

• Unlimited number of accidents: The company will cover an unlimited number of accidents or illnesses, as long as the amount of payment is under the coverage limit.

• Free quotes: Pet owners do not have to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services, since 24PetWatch offers pet owners free, no-obligation quotes.

• No limits on vet selection: Pet owners can take their pet to any vet of their choosing.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor