1.20/5
Based on 150 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a pet insurance provider?

156 24PetWatch Pet Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I recently adopted 2 cats from a rescue organization in Georgia and the 24 Pet Watch chips are the ones they were microchipped with. I called the company to register my name and information because I was having trouble doing it on the website. The girl informed me that I needed buy a "lifetime" membership at a cost of $84.95 per cat. I went ahead and gave them my CC number which they immediately charged. They promised me several items which they promptly e-mailed to me. However, when I attempted to use one of the coupons they sent me, the store told me that it was a "third party coupon" and they don't accept those.

I called them back and explained this to them and that I would like to get it resolved or be issued a refund. I was told last week that someone would contact me by Friday, 9/28/18. I never heard back from anyone. I called them today demanding a refund -- spoke to a manager -- and was told he would call me back within the hour to let me know what was going on. I am still waiting on a return telephone call. These people are scammers. DO NOT USE. I fully intend to contact my credit card company and dispute the charges.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

We adopted two cats from a shelter and were told we needed to get this insurance for 30 days free in order to do it. We were in turn charged when we told them that we did not want the insurance after the free 30 day trial. They charged anyway and won't give our money back. We have disputed with our CC company as a result. Just passing on info to others to beware of this company. They are not an honest company.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I submitted every invoice, medical history, and documents that they asked for when submitting a claim. A full MONTH later they send out an automatic email that they are waiting to hear from my Vet office. I check the claim status and it reads "$448.66 submitted amount - $0.00 paid." I call and they said they couldn't get the examination notes from the Vet office. I asked if they just emailed once and tried to call once and then just closed the claim and she said yes. She also said that should be mostly up to ME to provide and get these documents. I told her I submitted everything I've received from the Vet and nowhere did they request I contact the vet to get any more documents. I've never had an insurance company tell me that I need to do literally 100% of the work. Useless company that just wants to take your money. Do NOT recommend.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I don’t know what to say except that these guys were good before they got bought out. Now I’m stuck with the new owners because my dogs are seniors with preexisting conditions. I’d still probably be better off without insurance rather than these criminals. I have a gold plan and somehow they find a way to deny EVERYTHING. They typically pay me $60 out of $800 in claims. It’s a joke. Go with anyone else!

Original review: June 28, 2018

Awful! These people are con artist. Im pretty sure this is not even a legit company. They take money but offer no service in return. Simple claims get denied for ** reasons that make no sense. The adjusters, that basically have a job because of us are a bunch of twats. Oh they claim they are trained vet techs. ** they dont even know how to read medical records and cant comprehend why a dog would need a certain treatment or medication. They make any excuse to not pay a claim. Most of the reasons are ridiculous, half ** excuses. They have no problem taking money out of your bank! However when and if they do accept a claim they never send the money. These people are not legit. Stay away. This is no piece of mind for your pet. They have caused me nothing but grief from the first claim I submitted. If I just put the money that I pay these cons every month aside. My vet bills would be paid. Dont fall for this **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 24PetWatch Pet Insurance?

Original review: June 19, 2018

I was told that I would have to upgrade one of our cat's policies in order to have a recently diagnosed illness covered. Being concerned about it then being considered a pre-existing condition, I asked specifically about that and was told, "Not, it would be covered because you have had the cat insured with us all along." That was not true and the claim was rejected immediately and after a review. Buyer beware. If you aren't sure, ask for it in writing (though I'm not sure if that would help). We now have Figo Pet Insurance and are quite happy with it.

Original review: June 12, 2018

When I was signing up for my pet's insurance the phone operator was professional and nice. Three months later I had received a letter saying that I am no longer covered effective March 30, a couple of days after I had signed my pet up. They claimed it was due to no payments, but my credit card statements say that I paid three consecutive months of $48! Why was my pet's insurance ineffective 4 days after I signed him up when I paid the $48 over the phone? Wouldn't recommend 24PetWatch because they take your money and try not to reimburse you when you're submitting claims.

Original review: May 22, 2018

This was the company that was used when I adopted my dog and I've always logged in yearly and updated my information and my pet's information along with a photo. When I logged in this year my pet wasn't registered under my account. I called and they said he was registered under a different account and I need to pay them a transfer of ownership fee to have him under my account. They stated that the microchip number associated with my pet was never under my account. That can't be so because like I said previously I've been logging in for years now and updating his profile. I have all the forms from when I registered him originally with the company which I will be sending into them. But I have registered my pet on other free registry websites as well to be safe. Their customer service representatives were rude and refused to do anything unless I pay them.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I adopted my dog from a Humane Society two years ago. She came with a microchip associated with 24PetWatch so I registered her chip with my information on the (at the time) free to use database. After a year, we moved and I updated our information with no problem. A couple days ago I received an email saying "When you had [dog's name] microchipped, you received free pet protection services from 24PetWatch. But did you know that you can benefit from our premium pet protection services with a Lifetime Protection Membership?" Just a promotional ad, but whatever, it reminded me I needed to update my address since I moved again. So I go to do so and turns out, my account "is currently locked for editing. Please select a membership plan to edit your information"... which is apparently $85.

ALSO I noticed that my information on record had reverted back to the original address I registered with. Thought that was strange, so I decided to test something. I logged out and then used my dogs microchip number to run a "found pet" search. The search was submitted to the company, leaving them responsible to contact me that somebody has found my "lost" dog. I have NOT been contacted (only my address has changed so contacting me should not be an issue).

So apparently 24PetWatch is no longer free like the email says, but literally the most expensive microchip database I have found. So if you're in my boat and have a pet microchipped with 24PetWatch, I would highly suggest registering your info with a different database (or two) so that you don't have to rely on them alone. I would also like to point out that there is no universal microchip database so it wouldn't hurt to register your pets on multiple databases just to be safe anyways.

Original review: April 11, 2018

The shelter that I adopted my kitten from sent this company the wrong email address so I had to call to correct it and get him registered. When I googled the company to get the web address this was the second search result that came up and I got a sinking feeling when I saw the awful reviews and expected difficulty in getting my information corrected. I don't know if I got lucky or they are trying to fix customer service but my experience was positive.

I explained the email situation to the customer rep and she reset my account and took the microchip number and associated it with my account. She asked me if I was interested in their live operator recovery service in the case that my pet is lost (for a fee) or was I comfortable in using the self-service automated system through email. I said I was comfortable with self-service and she asks for authorization to contact in the event that microchip was scanned. She asked me if I was aware of their pet insurance policies and I told her that I was able to get similar coverage through my husband's employer at a discounted rate. She asked that I double check to make sure that the coverage was comparable and if I felt that I could get a better plan through them to feel free to call back for a quote. I had absolutely no hard sell for insurance or to enroll in the monitoring service. My agent was helpful and polite.

Overall it was a positive experience and a relief because I was expecting a hassle based on these reviews. I will admit that I did not sign up for a trial nor have I had to deal with a claim but I felt that the process for the microchip registry was simple and pleasant. Hopefully, others will have an experience more like my own. I gave it a four star rating rather than a five because I only dealt with one aspect of their services. I have no complaints about the service I received.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I contacted customer service today to inquire why I only received a partial credit back to my credit card when I canceled my "Free" 30-day membership of pet insurance. I recently adopted a rescue dog and he came with a Free trial membership for 30 days. My 1st mistake was accepting this "Free" policy (which required my cc to accept the offer). The customer service rep told me that they broke their company policy when they canceled my membership and I was LUCKY that I even received a partial refund. In disbelief and pure shock I asked, "What do you mean I should be lucky?" I emailed my cancellation on the last day of the month which is when was coverage was good through.

The rep, Faizan, said that I should've canceled a day before the end of the month if I expected a full refund. I tried to explain my previous conversation of when I canceled my membership but the customer service rep continued to talk over me and repeat once again that I was lucky. I asked to speak with a manager and Faizan went on to say he'd have to take my name & number for one to get back to me. The whole experience was a joke! I finally cooled down and did speak with a Supervisor when I called back later that day. Supervisor said that she was willing to refund the balance with the exception of .96 cents. Sounds pretty silly but she was serious that the system only allowed her to refund $2.50 processing fee leaving a balance of .96 cents. Unbelievable. It's safe to say, I'll never use 24 Hour Pet Watch for ANY of their per services.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I adopted my cat with a pre-existing microchip from another company (thankfully) as well as a free trial for this pet insurance. Throughout the process of registering for the trial and canceling it, this company outright lied to me trying to convince me they were my cat's microchip provider and that I would have to pay them in order to change the ownership information. Every time I simply corrected the representative lying to me, explaining that I know they are not my cat's microchip company, the conversation would shift to a dark tone and they would become extremely hostile and rude.

Now pay attention to this before you scammed: The actual company my pet's microchip is from allowed me to update my information for FREE. I'm convinced the 24PetWatch trial insurance offer is actually a scam for them to try to get money from new pet adopters for a chip via this method. Lawyers, please contact me for a class action lawsuit, which is bound to happen anytime now.

Original review: March 20, 2018

My pet's microchip was registered with 24PetWatch when I adopted him from a local cat shelter; the shelter confirmed that his microchip would be updated with my information. Two years later I decided to update his information online only to find out that his information, age, breed, etc, is all wrong. When attempting to update his info I was blocked from the account and prompted to purchase a Lifetime Protection Plan for $84.95, for which I paid.

I have, for a week now, been unable to update his information as the website continues to block me from my account stating I must purchase a Lifetime Membership Plan. I phoned the company and they confirmed my payment and stated it could take 24 hours for my plan to register online and to "log in tomorrow". I've attempted login every day for the last week to find myself still unable to update my pet's information. I called the company again, no answer. I emailed the company, no answer. I asked for a cancellation/refund, no answer. I filed a PayPal dispute. I'll be having my pet microchipped with a different company.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

When I called 24PetWatch to register my new kitten I was told that before I could register her I would need to renew my membership for my previous cat who was lost back in June 2017. When I said I was confused about what membership (the previous cat was chipped in 2015) no membership was ever mentioned. He goes, "Oh without that if anything ever happened to her we couldn't help." I said that when I called to report her missing in June nothing about membership was ever said. So if someone had called or contacted them between June 2017 and January 2018 they would not have contacted me because I did not have a membership for her. NO one ever told me anything about a membership or fee. This is very upsetting to now be told that they would have that information but unless I paid membership fees from when it expired to include the current year they were unable to access any information they might have.

So for $87.80, I could possibly find out if anyone had called in. Then if I wanted I to get a membership for my new kitten I had to pay an additional $21.95 but I could get a lifetime membership for both for a grand total of $257.70 (agents quote) I could get $25.00 coupon for Petco. I feel violated they are playing with my emotions saying they might have information about my missing baby but they may not. I have to pay first to find out.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I adopted two sweet cats from a rescue shelter in Colorado named Every Creature Counts (now defunct), they came chipped, and obviously pre-registered since I have received emails from 24PetWatch asking me to "re-register" their chips. Of course, no one tells you this outfit wants to hit you for $85 as a "one-time" fee to even change your phone number, the cat's name, or your contact information. This is a huge scam that preys on people's fear of losing their pets. You believe your pet is registered, and these con artists are really holding the chip number hostage... and until you pay up, you can't even update your damned phone number!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

When I adopted my 2 cats in 2015, the humane society that I bought them from used 24PetWatch microchips. Fast forward to 2018 when I have moved and am trying to update my contact information in case they, god forbid, get lost and I am informed that I cannot change my contact information unless I pay $44 a year to get memberships for both of them so they will unlock my account and allow me to go in and change my own address information.

I have a HomeAgain Chip in my dog and that company is WONDERFUL. They also have a membership with a fee but they do not require you to pay it in order to update the information that may result in your pet getting returned to you safe and sound. Instead their membership fee simply allows you to use actual benefits should you chose to want them like email blasts to people in your area if your pet is lost. I will never again allow my pets to be microchip with a 24PetWatch chip and I strongly encourage you to seek out other options like HomeAgain if you want to have your pets truly protected.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

When my daughter graduated college her dog came to live with us. We attempted to update the chip information through 24PetWatch. She was advised her dog's chip had lapsed and that she would have to pay an annual fee to update and to keep it current. She was told they would not have provided her information if her dog had been lost. We registered the number on a free site and updated the information. This company cares about money, not pets. The dog was adopted from The Pets Alive! shelter in San Antonio, Texas and was required to be chipped by their vet prior to adoption which took place February 2015. I want other customers to know the chip means nothing after one year unless they register the chip number on a free site.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

When I got my cat she came with a chip from 24Petwatch with a years free of service. After the year was up you had to pay $85.00 which I didn’t want to do just yet. But at least my info was accurate on the chip. Yesterday when she went missing I paid the money because my phone number recently changed. After calling them the first time the office phone said they were closed and to call at normal business hours. Which I thought was ridiculous since they are called 24Petwatch and on their stupid website said they are open 24/7/365. I called again and it kept me on hold for over an hour.

After that I gave up and went to their website and posted her chip number. I received an email saying someone will call me shortly and still almost 24 hours later I haven’t heard a thing from them. Thank god we were able to find her ourselves several hours later. I then tried to call back to let them know that she was safe. I still was put on hold for forever and I have been locked out of my account. Do they not want me getting in there??? What is wrong with these scammers. Our pets mean something to us!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I have never used the paid services of 24PetWatch, and do not have an active account with them. However, they routinely send me emails advising me to sign up for their services. Editing your email preferences is locked behind a pay gate, as are all other options such as deleting my (now deceased) dog from their records. This is exploitative, and because their emails are non-transactional (not deriving from a direct action I have taken on their site) it is illegal for them to deny me the ability to unsubscribe from emails via their website. Stay away from this company until they review and fix their processes.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I adopted my dog in New York 10 years ago. She came with a microchip that the rescue organization said was registered with 24 Hour Pet Watch. I decided to insure my dog through them for convenience, as she was already chipped with them. I gave them $19.95 a month for 10 years. I used the insurance only twice in the first two years. They recently more than doubled the cost of their coverage ($49.95 per month,) which I found to be financially unfeasible. I discontinued the coverage. Prior to this, I'd moved back to New Orleans. During this past hurricane season, I realized I may not have updated my address for the microchip. I contacted 24 Hour Pet Watch, only to find out that my dog's chip had NEVER been registered, the entire 10 years she had been insured with them.

I was told that I could register the chip for $80 for my dog's lifetime, but I would receive a coupon for $25 off dog food at PetCo. They never offered a discount on the registration, though clearly, they had been lax. You guessed it. I never got the coupon. I've called four times to obtain the coupon, with a promise each time I'd get it in 5-7 days. No results. My take-away is that 24 Hour Pet Watch has NO regard for your pet. Only money. I now have similar coverage (for a good deal less,) with the ASPCA, a trusted, legitimate organization. Do NOT give your money to 24 Hour Pet Watch.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I took in a rescue pet with a 24PetWatch microchip. It was "free" with the rescue, for which I paid, except I had to PAY to "update" my information after 30 days. This was $90. FOR ONE YEAR. My vet offered microchipping for a one-time, $40, LIFETIME coverage. Interestingly, the one time this sweet dog got lost, the finder did have her scanned for a chip -- the 24PetWatch people would NOT give her the contact information they had on file, because I didn't pay $90 a year!!! Fortunately, we connected through the other microchip... the one I had gotten from my vet for $40 FOR THE LIFE OF THE PET. I would never recommend 24PetWatch... more accurately, the name should reflect that they might help you IF you pay their ridiculous scalper fees every single year. Complete rip-off, and useless.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

We enrolled our pet in the free 30 day trial that we were offered when adopting him. One month later, I was charged for a month of coverage. In no way was it clearly communicated to me when I signed our dog up for the trial that we would be billed for the next month if we didn't call and cancel. I was able to receive a partial refund, but the company refused to give me a full refund for what they charged me. They are very deceptive. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS SCAM.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

$85.00 membership, to change address? Free registration when chip is installed. No guarantee they will report your pet lost if found without getting membership. So pay for chip at the vet $90.00, then $85.00 for verified membership. And then we will possibly let you know if your pet is lost and has been found. Hope the shareholders will rethink the operating practices of this company with the negative feedback given. I surely won't invest in their stock if they aren't on the market. I would recommend other monitoring company.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I have been paying into this insurance policy for my pet for over 16 years. He just passed and this insurance would not pay - according to them the disease he died from is not covered under the policy!! They wouldn't pay $399.00 for the emergency exam he had and for the blood tests to let us know what was wrong with him. This insurance company is a scam. I have paid over $6000 over the years for my pets policy and they wouldn't even pay out a single dollar for taking him into emergency. GET A BETTER PLAN THROUGH A DIFFERENT COMPANY!!! THIS COMPANY WILL FIND ANY MEANS NOT TO PAY WHAT THEY OWE TO YOU!!!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Beware, they hold your checks then send it to the wrong address so they can hold your money longer. Even direct deposit takes up to 20 days. I've been waiting three months to receive my insurance claim refund. I'm never late on paying them. What a rip off company.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I have been with this company for almost 20 years, through many underwriters. I have two dogs and at times have had two dogs and two cats with this company. I would have switched after I adopted a new cat but both dogs are older, making the switching process cost-prohibitive. Like many others, my policies doubled this year - "new underwriter." At the same time, their billing was chaotic resulting in charging me for four months and not informing me they had somehow neglected to bill me!

In regard to the rate increase; while it is upsetting, this company was so non-competitive with regard to price! I was paying so little and getting 80% coverage. They have raised their rates to be competitive which I know because I shopped around - a lot. They cover office visits for illnesses which many companies do not; they are now quite prompt in responding and have a good customer portal. I don't think they are the best but believe they have made many improvements in the last year, despite the shocking rate increase.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Signed up for a free 30-day trial, decided not to continue, and sent that in writing several business days before the period was up. Heard nothing back and was billed for the next month. Called to set it straight, and was finally refunded most of my money. If this is how they treat potential customers, I shudder to think how they would've treated us during an actual claim.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I've been covered by 24PetWatch for 8 years, since my cat was a kitten. I had the Champion Care with wellness visits coverage. I've never had any claims other than yearly wellness visits, which were covered with my policy. Over the past 7 years, my coverage has increase a small percentage every year, on the order of 2-3%, which I considered the cost of doing business. This year, without any notification, my renewal went up 336%, from $179/year to $602/year. I called the company thinking this charge was in error, but I was told that they have a new underwriter and that all rates went up. They supposedly mailed a letter in April stating this, but I never received it.

This is the fourth or fifth time the company has changed hands since I initially purchased the insurance (it was Purinacare when I bought it initially), but I've never had issues until now. This increase is outrageous, and I am completely dissatisfied with how they treat their customers. In addition to the outrageous cost increase, they also had me on hold for over 30 minutes before I could speak to a person, and it took another 20 minutes before I could convince them to cancel my coverage. I originally purchased the insurance to cover any health care issues for the cat as he aged since it was cheaper to buy it when he was under 2 years rather than wait until he got older, but at this new cost, I can just as easily put the money in a savings account and have more than enough.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Terrible micro chip support - All I want to do is simply CHANGE MY ADDRESS AND PHONE number, but they want $85 to do that. YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR A MEMBERSHIP TO CHANGE information. SUCH A RIP-OFF!!! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I purchased a Wellness plan for my puppy approximately one year ago. I still am not listed as a Wellness program on the electronic claim form. Many months ago, I submitted a claim for vaccinations. I received telephone help in completing the online application and faxed the vet records and cost. I received a total of only $30 reimbursement!!! Then, my puppy was neutered and I am still not listed as a wellness policy holder.

I sent several emails about this surgery, that happened approximately four months ago, and have not received ONE response. I have telephoned this company several times and received no callback. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PET INSURANCE; I have paid roughly $60/month and received nothing!!! It is very clear that they simply want to support their business and not supply the reimbursement that they stated initially in description of their policies.

24PetWatch Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

24Petwatch is a company that specializes in pet protection services. The company is headquartered in Buffalo, New York.

• Variety of services: 24Petwatch does not only offer pet insurance; it also offers lost pet recovery services such as microchip pet registration, pet identification and pet recovery tips.

• Services for dogs and cats: The company will cover both dogs and cats, so pet owners can insure both types of pets.

• Unlimited number of accidents: The company will cover an unlimited number of accidents or illnesses, as long as the amount of payment is under the coverage limit.

• Free quotes: Pet owners do not have to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services, since 24PetWatch offers pet owners free, no-obligation quotes.

• No limits on vet selection: Pet owners can take their pet to any vet of their choosing.

• Best for: Pet owners with dogs and cats, pet owners with loyalty to a vet and pet owners with active, or rambunctious pets.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky