Trupanion
3.18/5
Based on 66 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a pet insurance provider?

Trupanion Reviews

94 Trupanion Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I have had a few uses for this insurance. Trupanion is the best when it come to pet insurance. I never have had any problems with any claims I have made. Great service and a pleasure to talk to. Reimbursements are fast with no issues at all. If you wish to buy pet insurance then these are the people to purchase from. Thank you so much all at Trupanion!!!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Trupanion staff are friendly and helpful. They care and want to give my pets the best benefits possible. I appreciate knowing about all that is available and having the option to choose what is best for my needs and the needs of my pets.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

We've had Trupanion for less than 2 years and they are very sweet on the phone... But don't let the sweet, caring customer service people fool you. Unfortunately, I have a sick dog... I didn't know it when I signed up for insurance with Trupanion and they didn't know it. They are a typical insurance company - they have no problem taking money from me every month, however any substantial claim that I make, they deny, I fight it...usually I lose. Very disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Trupanion has been so great to myself and my dog. I have been able to treat my dog with Radiation and Chemotherapy with minimal cost to me. Along with his every 6 months cancer recheck appts; which may include ultrasound and blood work.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

We bought a policy for our dog the day we brought him home at 8 weeks. I wasn't sure we needed the added expense, but I really wanted the peace of mind. The first time we needed to use it he was 11 months old and needed shoulder surgery. They covered a 6k medical bill at 90%, paid promptly and called to check up on Jaxson several times. Jaxson is now 7 years old and they've seen us through several minor medical journeys. They always process the bills quickly - payments now direct deposit to my account - and have the best customer service. Anyone considering owning a pet shouldn't think twice about signing up with Trupanion.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have had very prompt and good service with Trupanion. The payments are paid in very short time after claim was sent in. Never an argument about what is covered. Always friendly! Ability to phone them 24/7. I would highly recommend Trupanion.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have always found Trupanion to have excellent service, which is why I have always insured my pets with them. My call with Cheryl yesterday was as great as ever. She was empathetic and thoughtful, and she gave me the information I needed—and offered additional flexibility that in this case I didn't—to help me make the best decision about my pet's care. (I do wish they would cover emergency room fees, but that's my only real complaint...)

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Trupanion has helped me several times in the past by reimbursing me for the medical care of my cats. Claims are very easy to submit, and processed in a timely way. I have had this coverage for the last 7 years and am very satisfied.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

We have had pets our whole life and the majority have had pretty serious health issues. We all know how expensive that can be for pet parents. Well we were blessed with a puppy this past October and we knew immediately that we would get pet insurance for her. I did a lot of research and we decided on Trupanion for our Border Collie (Penny). I really liked what I read about them and if I’m going to be complaining honest, I had a good vibe or gut feeling about them.

Fast forward to this past month and poor Penny was really sick. She was incredibly lethargic and would not eat at all. In a matter of days she lost three pounds and I had to carry her to go pee outside. I lost it! My husband and I love her so much. Needless to say, we were incredibly worried and we rushed her to our Vet. After spending just under $1000 on diagnostics/medications I am happy to say Penny is on the mend! She has gained a pound and a half and is eating properly again. We are not exactly sure what the issue was with Penny but it was very scary and the last thing you want to do is stress about money at that time!

Here’s the thing, Trupanion was so awesome, I really cannot say enough about them. The process to file a claim was very simple and more than that, they were incredibly sweet and professional when I had the occasion to speak with them over the phone. I had the pleasure of talking to Carmen and I hope for your sake if you are a customer you have the pleasure of talking to her! I can honestly say that she is a true animal lover just like the ad says! What a lovely lady! The entire experience with Trupanion has just been an absolute pleasure! We have already been reimbursed for 90% of our fees (minus the deductible of course ) and I can honestly say I feel blessed to be part of the Trupanion family. I have already told everyone we know to go through Trupanion for pet insurance and I know we will do the same for all of our pets in the future.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Your dog is hit by a car. You take him to the emergency room, it's a covered injury and you have pet insurance. The deductible on your insurance is $100 and 90% paid. That's what you have been paying, so that's what you think is the coverage. WRONG. Trupanion won't cover the veterinarian to examine your dog. Your dog can't be treated without being examined. Then they won't cover the surgeon to review the Xrays. The surgeon can't operate on your dog without reviewing the Xrays. So the $100 deductible was NEVER going to be the deductible because many of the services REQUIRED to treat your pet aren't covered by the insurance. And Trupanion not being a reputable company, they don't disclose this when you sign up and pay the expensive premiums. It's in the fine print most of us don't read. Read the other negative reviews before signing up for Trupanion, I sure wish I had read them.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Our cat is prone to upper respiratory infections. Our vet wanted to do some testing to rule out any illnesses that cause these infections. She said that it's perfectly plausible that she's perfectly healthy and simply prone to URIs because of her breed (she's a mixed rescue and we don't know exactly what kind of breeds are "in her", so it's reasonable to believe that she's simply got a breed that is prone to breathing issues) but she wanted to do some testing to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with her.

Trupanion is not going to cover any of the testing (suggested by our vet was an endoscopy and a chest xray) and also won't cover treatment for any further Upper Respiratory Infections. Somehow being prone to certain types of infections (that occur every few months) is considered a "pre existing condition". Our rate was around $50 and every time our cat is sick, our vet charges around $100 for the exam and medication. And let's not forget that Trupanion DOES NOT cover ANY KIND of examination, so essentially, all they cover is the $50 for medication. Which means in order for this insurance to be profitable for us, our cat would have to have an URI every month. Which...she doesn't. It's more of a semi-annual thing.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I’ve had my pets insured with Trupanion for a dozen years and have had great experiences. It’s bad enough when you have something serious happen with a pet. Trupanion made the claim process simple (online or direct pay vet) and paid REALLY fast! My emergency vet was the one that told me about them first. Sign your pet up as soon as possible. The younger they are, the less you pay. The premiums will remain low. I have 3 pets insured, $100 ded and my premiums are under $140 total and one pet is 13. Also, they have fantastic support! Cannot say enough good things.

Original review: July 27, 2018

My experience with Trupanion has been awesome. They have always helped me to keep my dog in good health and they have excellent customer service. They have financially helped me through the coverage of major illnesses. They have been a real blessing. I would recommend this company to anyone who loves their pet like family.

Original review: July 22, 2018

Trupanion was a lifesaver. When both my dogs had some serious medical issues at the same time, I had over $10,000 in vet bills - Trupanion paid most of it. I was able to take care of them without worrying about running up the credit card. Their site is easy to use, and the customer service is excellent if you have a question or problem. Claims are paid quickly. Whenever a friend gets a new furbaby - I recommend them signing up right away. Pre-existing conditions aren't covered, so sign up before you have any!

Original review: July 20, 2018

I agree this insurance is HORRIBLE. DO NOT GET IT. I am paying 250 per month for the dog and they declined more than half the problems with my dog. More important they claim the dog had a pre-existing condition 18 month prior to obtaining a policy with them. My dog wasn't born 18 months prior to obtaining policy. I hired the best animal litigation lawyer could find and she's in the process of suing them. It's not worth the headache dealing with Trupanion!

Original review: July 19, 2018

I was truly grateful for your compassion during a most difficult time. Your staff took the time to talk to me, and made me very comfortable. They are all very caring individuals, and it was truly a pleasure working with you. I will definitely use you again, hopefully in the near future, and will tell everyone I know about your great staff.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I have had Trupanion pet insurance for over 10 years. They offer many choices to choose from to help take care of my fur babies. I have had many occasions to use my insurance and they have always come through. Most recently, my emergency bill was quite large. The claim was sent, reviewed and I was reimbursed quickly. Even the follow-up visit reimbursement is quick. In addition, several of the staff even sent a get well card to my pup - I was impressed with their kindness. I would recommend highly this company when choosing insurance for your fur family member!

Original review: July 11, 2018

I’ve been with them for several years and fortunately not had to file a claim. I have however had a couple reasons to call with questions. They are great! You get a person quickly. They are kind, compassionate, interested in your pets and knowledgeable.

Original review: July 10, 2018

We've had a policy for our pup through Trupanion for the past 3 years. During this time, we've never received anything short of extraordinary service by their staff. It's extremely easy to get someone on the phone and everyone we've spoken with has always been professional, helpful and super friendly. They are quick to process claims and they just make the entire process seem so easy. The cost is also completely reasonable and has already paid off big time with our rowdy dog - one of the best decisions we've made as pet owners for sure!

Original review: July 10, 2018

The call was good and she did a great job. But the plan is too expensive, is not easy to place a claim and the process takes time. I had too many problems for Claims and Records email to receive and open the files I sent. McKinna was the one that got it all through. And still the department placed part of the claim under my other dog. It's messy.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I have had Trupanion for several years and they have always been excellent in responding to my claims. The customer service agents are always knowledgeable and compassionate on the phone. It would have been a lot harder to care for my dogs if I didn't have Trupanion.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Trupanion provides a client centric service model, compassion, care and ability to relate to people as pet owners with exceptional consistency! You're going to read good and bad reviews. Here's something to consider... Not everyone understands how insurance works. Some people fail at reading and understanding the terms of their coverage. Some simply ignore or choose not to read or understand the terms. Some people try to defraud insurance companies. Insurance companies review medical records to verify compliance with their coverage terms. Insurance does not mean an owner is absolved of all financial responsibility for their pets care. Ask your insurance company how vet billing works and how it affects your coverage.

When you're dealing with your family (Pet) it's important to pay attention and not blindly make uninformed choices. I invested in Insurance for Teddy because I care about him. I paid for everything out of pocket until he was hit by a car and had potentially life threatening injuries. His injuries quickly became very expensive and were certainly not common. I immediately contacted Trupanion to inform them of the accident and got Teddy to the vet hospital as fast as I could.

The metrics to employ when considering a claim is: "Is this problem potentially life threatening?" and "Does this problem potentially cause severe quality of life issues." Pet insurance is not like human health insurance. It's meant for bad to worse case scenario situations. Don't make the mistake of confusing human & pet insurance. You're responsible for your friend whether you have insurance or not. Trupanion is an excellent insurance provider. Some may disagree, maybe they failed to understand the companies policies. And, or, the general premise behind the services they signed up for.

Teddy, my cat, was severely injured with multiple injuries when he was hit by a car. These injuries were potentially life threatening and this is when Trupanion kicked in and have championed Teddy's recovery from the start. The amount of coverage Teddy has received along with support from staff has been nothing

short of amazing so far. Teddy has a specialist for his broken teeth, dislocated and fractured jaw, dislocated leg, and a surgeon for the removal of one of his eyes. It has been heart wrenching for me to have to see him go through this but I know he will get better and he knows that I love him.

This insurance company has been supportive with us and have fulfilled their obligations, according to their own policies, without hesitation or delay. Some of you may accuse me of being a shill for the company. I can't stop you from saying it. But you're only deluding yourself and doing a disservice to those seeking an informed review. If you're buying a product or service understand what you're buying or paying for before you do. Most Veterinarians in Toronto seem to have a really good opinion of this company and I can understand why they do. They act quickly and make informed decisions based on all available information. Teddy and I have had a really good experience with Trupanion. I have attached a picture of Teddy a day after he got to the hospital.

Original review: July 3, 2018

This is the absolute best of the best for pet insurance. Every single time I call I always get the help and knowledge to resolve any questions that I have. The representatives are OUTSTANDING!!! Never have I had any problems and they are so caring about my pets and their health. I can't say enough. And to top it off the claims are super fast every single time. I can hardly believe they are for real. But they are. I unconditional recommend them 110%!!! You will not be sorry to go enroll with them for your pet{s}. They really do treat them like family!

Original review: July 2, 2018

I have been a customer of Trupanion for several years. Filing claims is super easy and they are paid quickly. I always get someone on the phone without waiting. My latest call was to update some information. I spoke with Ines who was pleasant, helpful and very efficient. I highly recommend Trupanion to any pet owner. They help me take good care of my babies.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I don't get these reviews, I couldn't live without Trupanion. They have been so great through the dozens of claims I have had for different dogs. And yes, I have had a claim denied that I am currently appealing but it was a fair reason of a misunderstanding and Trupanion makes appeals super easy if the vet is willing to correct. Mostly though they have paid me right back for many surgeries, and illnesses by older dogs developed. Get the insurance right away when your pup is young so it is cheaper. Vets are out of control with their prices! You go in for a simple procedure and they want to do every test possible so it is thousands. A surgery can cost on average 5k-20k. It is a huge peace of mind to know Trupanion has your back.

I also have care credit which helps and Trupanion can preapprove a payment or refund you into your checking on most cases within a week or less! You can always get a rep on the phone and they are so pleasant to speak with every time. They are similar to Discover card's customer service where they take the time and really do actually care to keep the customer happy unlike some other companies where you know it will be super stressful to get a rep and then you are transferred non stop and frustrated. I have never experienced this in the 30 plus times I have called Trupanion. Actually look forward to communicating with them. I have a biz also and I know people just love complaining when unhappy and the happy don't do much which is why I am leaving such a long review. :)

Original review: June 30, 2018

We have had Trupanion Pet Insurance for our dogs and cats for 8 years now. While we haven't used pet insurance from other companies, Trupanion has been excellent. They respond promptly, they are true to their policy, and they reimburse very quickly. We have had unusually complicated and expensive health problems in our two dogs this past year - very expensive - and Trupanion paid 90% of the covered charges. Basically, those were all but the exam charges. We have saved many thousands of dollars with Trupanion. The best thing is to buy it when the pet is very young, so that no health issues that arise become "pre-existing" conditions. I recommend Trupanion to all my pet owning friends.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Anything can happen to our four-legged family members at any time, and my past experience has been it is usually at the worst timing. Trupanion gives me peace of mind to know that my fur baby will be taken care of 24/7 and even at the worst timing. Also, Trupanion's customer service is the best!

Original review: June 28, 2018

When I first signed up for Trupanion for my two dogs, their policy stated that insurance premiums would never go up more than 20%. In the last few years they have raised our premium almost 25% each year even though we have been with them for 5 years and haven't been making huge claims. In fact, we never go over how much we pay them every year. On their website, they state "Trupanion is one of the only pet health insurance plans that does not have automatic rate increases as your pet ages - some companies have guaranteed annual increases of up to 18%!" THIS IS A LIE! They raise it more than other insurance companies.

Look it up yourself. They mislead you, the insurance premiums should be enforced more. They are a money hungry business, and they don't care about your pet's health. Today, I called to cancel, and I told them that I would be paying more insurance for my two dogs than my husband and I's insurance. They said "Oh, well pets are having the same procedures as humans nowadays so we have to raise premiums." This is completely a lie in a sense.

For my own personal health insurance, I pay less than I do for my dogs, and I've had surgery and my insurance company pays 100% of the bill. Surgery for dogs is not as expensive as it is for a human, let's be real. Trupanion has no cap on how much they can raise their premium each year. So they could potentially raise it however much they like. I would highly advise no one to get an insurance policy with this company.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Trupanion's customer service is impeccable. There is no long menu to wade through - speaking to an understandable, very knowledgeable representative is a simple to do. Questions are answered succinctly and compassionately. I have two dogs who I have had to file claims for and I have never had an insurance company process claims so quickly. There is no second guessing the veterinary hospital; they follow the guidelines of your policy and the payment is quickly made. My only complaint - that I have yet to find a people insurance company that worked so efficiently and kindly!

Original review: June 22, 2018

From the moment I called to inquire about insurance for my puppy, the staff has been phenomenal. The guidance and support was greatly appreciated. I never thought I would be facing a crisis with my pup, however, it happened. The support from Trupanion has been beyond amazing. I have nothing but praise and gratitude for the assistance I have received. I recommend them highly to friends and neighbors. I don't know what I would have done without them. I personally will never own a pet without Trupanion.

Not sure about Trupanion?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Pet Insurance for you.

Trupanion expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Trupanion is a pet medical insurance company founded by CEO Darryl Rawlings. The company is a founding member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA) and has been publicly traded since July of 2014.

• Dog and cat coverage: With Trupanion, pet owners can get pet medical insurance for both dogs and their cats.

• 90% coverage: The company offers pet owners 90% coverage of actual veterinary costs for all approved pet accidents and illnesses.

• Unlimited lifetime coverage: Trupanion has no limit on the number of accidents, illnesses or years a pet can be covered for.

• Educational information: The company offers pet owners educational information via its website and print materials, which helps give tips for health, nutrition and warning signs for illness.

• Community focused: In addition to providing pet insurance, the company also contributes a lot to community organizations, contributing more than $200,000 to animal welfare programs across the country.

• Best for: Pet owners with dogs and cats, new pet owners and pet owners with rambunctious pets.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky

Seattle
    WA
    trupanion.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business