2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.91/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of customers’ vet bills for their dogs and cats, with no maximum payout limits. It sets lifetime deductibles for every condition, so there is no need to reach a new deductible every year for long-term conditions. Trupanion also pays veterinarians directly, simplifying the process for consumers. Though many consumers are unhappy with their high premiums, the broad coverage justifies the cost for many pet owners.

BOTTOM LINE

Trupanion pet insurance offers deductibles based on individual conditions, along with customizable coverage and a variety of deductible options.

PROS

• Direct payment to veterinarians
  • 90% coverage
  • No payout limits

CONS

• High premiums

Top Trupanion Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Trupanion was a lifesaver. When both my dogs had serious medical issues at the same time, I had $10,000 in vet bills. Trupanion paid most of it. I was able to take care of them without worrying about running up the credit card. Pre-existing conditions aren't covered, so sign up before you have any!

My dog was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor and needed surgery and further treatment... I submitted my 1st claim and within 2 weeks I got reimbursed for 90% minus my deductible in 3 days. Trupanion is a great company. Such a peace of mind knowing your little babies are covered.

What is Trupanion?

Trupanion offers both dog insurance and cat insurance. With Trupanion, all customers receive one simple plan that makes clear what’s covered and what’s not.

Trupanion plans cover all unexpected injuries and illnesses, reimbursing customers for 90% of their vet bills without payout limits once they’ve met their deductibles. Trupanion’s customer service team also lessens billing hassles by paying veterinarians directly. Once you’ve enrolled, Trupanion’s waiting period for injury coverage is five days, which is shorter than the industry standard of 14 days. However, the waiting period before it covers treating any illnesses is 30 days.

Trupanion pet insurance plans

Trupanion pet health insurance offers just one type of plan, although it’s applicable to both cats and dogs. Trupanion’s pet insurance plan is more expensive than many of its competitors', but the plan is comprehensive and rates are fixed for the entire length of the policy. With Trupanion’s lifetime, per-condition deductible, customers save more in the long run for chronic conditions, too.

What does Trupanion cover?

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of the cost to treat any new illness or condition that your pet experiences during the policy’s term. Trupanion’s preexisting conditions policy is similar to other companies’, meaning it does not cover any illness, injury or condition that your pet had before enrollment. You have to wait at least five days to get coverage for injury treatment and 30 days for illness care.

The company covers 90% of the cost of hereditary diseases, unidentified issues and congenital illnesses that are not preexisting conditions. This includes health problems that many other providers don’t cover, including:

• Hip dysplasia
    • Vitamins and supplements
    • Dental illness
    • Orthopedic issues

How much does Trupanion pet insurance cost?

Trupanion dog insurance costs between $36 and $100 per month for most breeds, and Trupanion cat insurance costs between $23 and $57 per month. With Trupanion, pet owners can customize their coverage with a deductible up to $1,000, along with coverage enhancements, such as recovery care and pet owner assistance. Coverage enhancements add a few dollars to your premium every month.

Trupanion pet insurance plans include lifetime, per-condition deductibles instead of annual deductibles, meaning customers don’t have to keep paying year after year for a chronic condition. Once you’ve met the deductible for your pet’s condition, you’ll never have to pay the deductible again to treat it.

Trupanion does not offer a discount for multiple pets, but it does have a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied.

Trupanion FAQ

Does Trupanion cover cancer?
    Trupanion animal insurance does cover cancer as long as it was not diagnosed before the beginning of the policy or within the waiting period.
    Does Trupanion cover vaccinations?
    No, Trupanion’s pet health insurance plan does not cover vaccinations. It only covers unexpected expenses, which don’t include wellness care, like vaccinations or preventive medications.
    How long does it take to complete a claim with Trupanion pet insurance?
    While Trupanion doesn’t say how long its claim process lasts, many reviewers who pay at the time of visit mention getting reimbursed within two weeks.
    Does Trupanion cover blood work?
    It depends. If the blood work is routine, Trupanion pet insurance does not cover it. However, if it’s unexpected, it is covered.
    Does Trupanion cover neutering?
    Like most pet insurance companies, Trupanion does not cover the cost of neutering.

Is Trupanion worth it?

Trupanion is a pet insurance company offering a wide variety of coverage and convenience benefits. Trupanion pays 90% of your vet bills with no maximum limit, and it doesn’t raise annual rates. To save you money, the company also sets lifetime, per-condition deductibles and cuts out the middleman by paying veterinarians directly. However, Trupanion’s monthly premiums are still pricier than its competitors', so this company is best for customers who want more coverage and benefits and are willing to pay for it.

Trupanion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

My experience with Trupanion has-been mostly positive. With my plan, Trupanion covers 90% of the cost for most vet visits-- but they do not cover testing fees or exam fees, which can be very expensive when trying to diagnose and properly treat your pet. My monthly premium is ~$18, which I feel is a fair price for 90% coverage on most expenses. The claims process is a piece of cake, too, which takes the headache out of filing a claim. You're done in a matter of seconds.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

My new puppy had a foxtail up his nose, and had to have an emergency rhinoscopy. He could not stop sneezing. I called Trupanion after I dropped him off at the Vet. They were kind and efficient. They paid my Vet directly before I picked him up the same day! It could not have been easier, transparent or straightforward. I had my insurance less than a month with no waiting period. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND to anyone with a pet. I could not be happier.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 29, 2020

I am a huge advocate of Trupanion. My beautiful Great Dane was diagnosed with a heart condition 2 years ago and put on multiple medications. Trupanion covered without fail. My rates did not increase. 8 months ago, cancer was found, and they covered treatments, and more medications, again no rate changes. I am so happy that our coverage helped keep my girl with us. Trupanion, thank YOU! I am eternally grateful and will continue to sing your praises.

Original review: March 27, 2020

We—and our little Cavalier Spaniels—have been with Trupanion for over a decade, after spending countless hours researching pet insurance options and providers. Trupanion made it possible for us to pursue cancer treatment for our sweet girl, Molly, and give her another 2 healthy, happy years after her initial diagnosis. Trupanion also supported her eye care and medications for many years. Over the course of her life, we submitted well over 100 claims, and never—not a single time—did we have any trouble with the claims process, have to fight for a claim, or file an appeal. The claims process is extremely simple and takes less than 2 minutes to complete, and the money is in our account within just a few days.

While the premiums for Trupanion are more expensive than some other pet insurance products, the coverage is far more comprehensive. Trupanion paid out well over $150,000 in claims over the course of our little Molly’s life- and we never had to fight for a single claim. Not once. Trupanion covered every single treatment, test, and medication her doctors recommended, without any fight on our part.

Not only does Trupanion have a superior product, with excellent coverage, and a quick and easy claims process, but the customer service at Trupanion far exceeds that I’ve experienced with any other company in any industry. The Trupanion staff go out of their way to in being caring and empathetic during hard times. When our sweet Molly was diagnosed with cancer, I was terrified we weren’t going to be able to afford the treatment recommended by our vet. When I called Trupanion with questions about coverage, not only did they clearly explain the coverage available to us, but the customer service staff were so kind and understanding and so empathetic for what our family was going through.

I only wish that humans had access to the kind of excellent, comprehensive coverage, hassle-free claims process, and truly compassionate customer service in our insurance as our sweet pups have in Trupanion. Without Trupanion, we would not have been able to provide such a long, healthy, and happy life for our sweet girl. We are so truly and forever grateful to be with Trupanion!

Original review: March 1, 2020

I reasearched several Pet insurance companies before I got my puppy. Trupanion by far is the best coverage, with no lifetime limits per condition. A few months after getting my lab, I noticed him limping, after an X-ray and physical exam (which I was well aware the insurance wouldn’t cover the exam fee as I had read the fine print) it was determined that he had a partial tear in his cranial crucial ligament. He now goes for rehab (laser treatments, acupuncture, and hydrotherapy) 2-3 times per month and has been on Chinese herbal medicine and I’ve not once ever had an issue with payment or approval.

I submit my invoice after leaving the vet, and I have the money deposited back into my account within 3 days. I see so many reviews on here about people complaining that they don’t cover the exam fee or tax and a few other things, and all I can say is like anything, read the clauses and fine print, and you won’t have any surprises! Thank you Trupanion for making it possible to keep my baby happy, healthy, and pain free.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2020

Trupanion is not an insurance company I will ever trust again. They prey on pet owners who love their pets. I recently, (for the first time), submitted claims because my dog has a bladder infection. My claims were denied because prior to starting my insurance I took my dog in for neck pain. They now claim that the neck pain was a precondition for a bladder infection and refuse to pay. I have been paying $120/month and this is how I'm treated? If anyone knows of lawsuits I can join so that the public can become aware of how this company treats its customers, please let me know.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

I just received notice that my premiums will increase 30% a year. I have had the policy 6 years and at age 11 it may be too late to find another insurance company. I can assure you that this enormous increase will cause me to shop around and re-consider. When I called them I asked if enrollment is going down and they told me it’s going up and that in states like California and New York they’re seeing price increases. 30% increase? WOW! I wish it was that easy for all of us to just increase income 30%.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

I am shocked at the way I have been treated by members of Trupanion. My experience with them was the worst I have ever experienced. I was denied on every occasion, for coverage for my dog - whom is under two years old, all because he vomited as a puppy (he ate a sock). They would not treat any issue if vomiting was involved - they even stated that "if he was hit by a car and vomited, they would not cover any medical treatment because he vomited."

If the vet does not word the visit a specific way, even if it is a new incident or injury, you are denied. They denied every single claim and the managers I spoke to denied me from requesting further assistance and speaking with someone above them. I am so disappointed with their service. Don't be tricked - Trupanion treats pre-existing symptoms the SAME as pre-existing conditions. I hope someone from Trupanion will reach out to me and rectify this issue, I am sorely disappointed and hurt by my experience.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I tried to sign up their insurance which was provided from the shelter but couldn’t because there was some issue and by the time I did my pet was Puking which they considered a preexisting condition and told they will not pay for any surgery if it was pre existing. He was vomiting that's it, not sure how that can be pre existing. My understanding for preexisting is from theirs.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

I signed with Trupanion after they were recommended by my vet. They will find any reason to not cover claims and waste your time while doing so. It takes a painfully long time to just find out that things are not covered. My dog has behaviour issues that are not black and white and they are all being grouped together and basically nothing is covered and all ruled as pre-existing. Beware.

Trupanion Company Information