Trupanion
3.10/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

Trupanion Reviews

106 Trupanion Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I'm a believer in insurance as a method of sharing genuine risks across many people. Providing abuse is kept under control, insurance works. I am, however, very disappointed with Trupanion. My dog ate rat poison from a neighbor's yard and we rushed him to hospital. My Trupanion file says the claim was "accepted." Hooray. But does that mean they fulfilled their role of shared risk? No. They paid nothing because more than half the money I paid the hospital was determined to be an "examination." The other half was the deductible. The deductible I have no issue with (part of the shared risk I'm prepared to accept). But the "examination"? I brought my dog to the pet's equivalent of an emergency room.

This suggests that every time you take your pet to a hospital or clinic or vet, not only do you have to pay the deductible, but you also have to pay for an "examination," which effectively doubles your deductible. This is a much larger deductible than their feel-good/pet-friendly advertising suggests. I'm disappointed and irritated at this bit of trickery (in my opinion), and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the company. I believe that Trupanion and their resellers and supporters (including vets and animal hospitals) should make this double-the-cost-deductible very clear to their customers... before they buy into the product.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I have 18 months of policy coverage for my dog, in good standing. Then she had a cancer diagnosis with $2400 in treatment. My policy has $1000 deductible and 10% co-pay. Trupanion adjusters reimbursed me just $670. Where's the rest? Turns out one can interpret "treatment" and "examination" in whichever way suits the company. "Examinations" are excluded from the policy. So unless your vet line items separately things like: "massaged exterior of tumor to diagnose size," and "restrained dog in calm position to perform lab sampling" etc... then Trupanion insists all of those actions are part of an "examination" which has nothing to do with treating your pet's condition.

The policy documents are written to be intentionally vague. I requested a contract document with definition of each of these terms and was denied it. Bottom line -- you should expect this policy to cover diagnostics, labs, surgeries. And not to cover anything else that your veterinarian actually does. Then you can do the math on whether it's worth it -- $1000/year for coverage that winds up covering about 25% of real costs for treatment, on a per-diagnosis basis. Meaning, you'd have to have about a minimum $5000 vet expense, for one single emergency or injury, every other year in order to break even.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Purchased pet insurance in June for my dog. In August my dog had watery eye. I bought over the counter pet eye drops for the dog. Which is 60 days after I purchase insurance. The eye drops worked for about a week. Next week she started scratching her eye a lot. I took her to the vet on 8/30. Vet gave me eye creams for dog see if they worked. 9-6 went back for recheck. He said eye not getting better. Had me schedule another appointment on 9-16. At that time he said she needs surgery asap. She has developed an ulcer cornea.

Sent claims in to Trupanion. They denied it saying that this happened prior to the 30 day waiting period. It had been almost 60 days. Then vet sent them a letter explaining this is not a pre existing injury. They said letter from him means nothing and they still maintain this is pre existing and will not pay anything. So I researched on internet and they have been doing this to a lot of their customers. So they are just scamming people out of their money.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I had both of my dogs insured through Trupanion for 2 years at over $120/month. Every single time I filed a claim they replied with a denial of coverage going so far as to cite completely irrelevant prior diagnosis. Upon being informed that the current condition being filed for in the claim was not "pre-existing" I was constantly informed that the appeals process was "lengthy and complex and could take over 6 weeks"... Oh, but when you cancel your policy(s) they make that process super easy, leads me to believe it happens all-too-often. If I could give them "negative stars" I would. Terrible. Fail.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I received a free month trial of this company's policy when I rescued my dog. On the day I rescued him he was in an accident and I didn't find out until $2,000 later that the policy doesn't cover anything until the day AFTER it's activated. Nothing in any of the material they made available said this. I searched high and low for a document outlining actual coverage and exceptions and I could never find one. I was never sent one and it was not available on their website. Not only do they not cover anything on the day you create your policy, but I also discovered they do not cover exams (a very huge thing to not cover!), X-rays, administrative fees, and a lot of very basic things that I would expect insurance to cover.

Yes, their customer service is overly friendly, I'll give them that. But having a peppy, happy voice while they tell you nothing is covered doesn't make it any better. Honestly, save your money. Unless you've had your animal for at least 18 months, they have a spotless record so far, and your vet charges almost nothing for exams, you'll end up paying almost everything out of pocket. They'll find ways to wiggle out of anything.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

We've called Trupanion customer service numerous times and have always been delighted with their responses. Outstanding customer service representatives who are knowledgeable, helpful and caring! One of the best companies out there in our opinion! Have always treated us with utmost respect and always solved any issues we've come across! Highly recommend Trupanion insurance. They're a caring company and we've always had an all-around great experience dealing with them! Highly recommend for your pet insurance needs!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

The claims department is very responsive, caring, interested in making claims as easy and less work for the customer as possible. Give them the information and they will deal with the Vet directly. There is no back and forth.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

The representative was very compassionate about my dog Rudy recent diagnosis of Leukemia. She was very informative about company policy for illnesses and diseases. Professionalism and compassion for clients goes a long way for business.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Please do not use this company!! It's a scam. They will just take your money and run. Ex 1. After 10 years at the same rate and NEVER using it, my dog finally had a few issues I got reimburse for. Immediately after, the company TRIPLED my rate. I should have canceled then but I hung on because he was getting older. Ex 2. My 13.5 year old has TERRIFIC teeth. He's only ever had mild tartar. He has a bone infection right now that might require surgery. The vet listed either a possible bone infection related to the one he had earlier this year in his head, OR possible root abscess. They would not cover it because NINE years ago, he had mild tartar in his record. NINE YEARS AGO!!! Are you kidding me? Don't trust this company!!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Trupanion kept charging my credit card even after I canceled the policy AND changed my credit card number. They have a clause in all the fine print that says they can request your new card information from your cc company AND get it!! It’s outrageous! I had a policy for years and NEVER used it, then they took me for an additional $400 after I canceled. Do not use this company! I can only imagine how terrible they would be if you had a claim. I’m sure what this company lacks in character they make up for with deep pockets. Stay away from them!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I've had insurance for my 4-year-old dog for about 2 years now (Omega General type insurance). Every time I've called customer service, I've received nothing but kind and helpful reps and overall amazing service. I even received a call back once to check how my dog was after an accident. My dog recently developed some unknown skin condition. I have the peace of mind that Trupanion will cover expenses related to this for the rest of his life if it becomes an ongoing issue.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I purchased this insurance right after I adopted my rescue dog. I purchased it literally after her first vet visit. I had a few vet visits after that for gastroenteritis that Trupanion covered, however now they claim it’s a pre-existing condition. My dog’s first vet visit, right after rescuing her, it was documented that she had loose stool as a result of changing her food. Now, any visit where my dog had loose stools, Trupanion will refuse to reimburse. They went as far as to tell me that the visits that were covered for the gastroenteritis, were covered on behalf of the company's mistake. There are many ailments where loose stools/diarrhea is a symptom. So it’s basically their excuse to not cover anything.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I have had a few uses for this insurance. Trupanion is the best when it come to pet insurance. I never have had any problems with any claims I have made. Great service and a pleasure to talk to. Reimbursements are fast with no issues at all. If you wish to buy pet insurance then these are the people to purchase from. Thank you so much all at Trupanion!!!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Trupanion staff are friendly and helpful. They care and want to give my pets the best benefits possible. I appreciate knowing about all that is available and having the option to choose what is best for my needs and the needs of my pets.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

We've had Trupanion for less than 2 years and they are very sweet on the phone... But don't let the sweet, caring customer service people fool you. Unfortunately, I have a sick dog... I didn't know it when I signed up for insurance with Trupanion and they didn't know it. They are a typical insurance company - they have no problem taking money from me every month, however any substantial claim that I make, they deny, I fight it...usually I lose. Very disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Trupanion has been so great to myself and my dog. I have been able to treat my dog with Radiation and Chemotherapy with minimal cost to me. Along with his every 6 months cancer recheck appts; which may include ultrasound and blood work.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

We bought a policy for our dog the day we brought him home at 8 weeks. I wasn't sure we needed the added expense, but I really wanted the peace of mind. The first time we needed to use it he was 11 months old and needed shoulder surgery. They covered a 6k medical bill at 90%, paid promptly and called to check up on Jaxson several times. Jaxson is now 7 years old and they've seen us through several minor medical journeys. They always process the bills quickly - payments now direct deposit to my account - and have the best customer service. Anyone considering owning a pet shouldn't think twice about signing up with Trupanion.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have had very prompt and good service with Trupanion. The payments are paid in very short time after claim was sent in. Never an argument about what is covered. Always friendly! Ability to phone them 24/7. I would highly recommend Trupanion.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have always found Trupanion to have excellent service, which is why I have always insured my pets with them. My call with Cheryl yesterday was as great as ever. She was empathetic and thoughtful, and she gave me the information I needed—and offered additional flexibility that in this case I didn't—to help me make the best decision about my pet's care. (I do wish they would cover emergency room fees, but that's my only real complaint...)

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Trupanion has helped me several times in the past by reimbursing me for the medical care of my cats. Claims are very easy to submit, and processed in a timely way. I have had this coverage for the last 7 years and am very satisfied.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

We have had pets our whole life and the majority have had pretty serious health issues. We all know how expensive that can be for pet parents. Well we were blessed with a puppy this past October and we knew immediately that we would get pet insurance for her. I did a lot of research and we decided on Trupanion for our Border Collie (Penny). I really liked what I read about them and if I’m going to be complaining honest, I had a good vibe or gut feeling about them.

Fast forward to this past month and poor Penny was really sick. She was incredibly lethargic and would not eat at all. In a matter of days she lost three pounds and I had to carry her to go pee outside. I lost it! My husband and I love her so much. Needless to say, we were incredibly worried and we rushed her to our Vet. After spending just under $1000 on diagnostics/medications I am happy to say Penny is on the mend! She has gained a pound and a half and is eating properly again. We are not exactly sure what the issue was with Penny but it was very scary and the last thing you want to do is stress about money at that time!

Here’s the thing, Trupanion was so awesome, I really cannot say enough about them. The process to file a claim was very simple and more than that, they were incredibly sweet and professional when I had the occasion to speak with them over the phone. I had the pleasure of talking to Carmen and I hope for your sake if you are a customer you have the pleasure of talking to her! I can honestly say that she is a true animal lover just like the ad says! What a lovely lady! The entire experience with Trupanion has just been an absolute pleasure! We have already been reimbursed for 90% of our fees (minus the deductible of course ) and I can honestly say I feel blessed to be part of the Trupanion family. I have already told everyone we know to go through Trupanion for pet insurance and I know we will do the same for all of our pets in the future.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Your dog is hit by a car. You take him to the emergency room, it's a covered injury and you have pet insurance. The deductible on your insurance is $100 and 90% paid. That's what you have been paying, so that's what you think is the coverage. WRONG. Trupanion won't cover the veterinarian to examine your dog. Your dog can't be treated without being examined. Then they won't cover the surgeon to review the Xrays. The surgeon can't operate on your dog without reviewing the Xrays. So the $100 deductible was NEVER going to be the deductible because many of the services REQUIRED to treat your pet aren't covered by the insurance. And Trupanion not being a reputable company, they don't disclose this when you sign up and pay the expensive premiums. It's in the fine print most of us don't read. Read the other negative reviews before signing up for Trupanion, I sure wish I had read them.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Our cat is prone to upper respiratory infections. Our vet wanted to do some testing to rule out any illnesses that cause these infections. She said that it's perfectly plausible that she's perfectly healthy and simply prone to URIs because of her breed (she's a mixed rescue and we don't know exactly what kind of breeds are "in her", so it's reasonable to believe that she's simply got a breed that is prone to breathing issues) but she wanted to do some testing to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with her.

Trupanion is not going to cover any of the testing (suggested by our vet was an endoscopy and a chest xray) and also won't cover treatment for any further Upper Respiratory Infections. Somehow being prone to certain types of infections (that occur every few months) is considered a "pre existing condition". Our rate was around $50 and every time our cat is sick, our vet charges around $100 for the exam and medication. And let's not forget that Trupanion DOES NOT cover ANY KIND of examination, so essentially, all they cover is the $50 for medication. Which means in order for this insurance to be profitable for us, our cat would have to have an URI every month. Which...she doesn't. It's more of a semi-annual thing.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I’ve had my pets insured with Trupanion for a dozen years and have had great experiences. It’s bad enough when you have something serious happen with a pet. Trupanion made the claim process simple (online or direct pay vet) and paid REALLY fast! My emergency vet was the one that told me about them first. Sign your pet up as soon as possible. The younger they are, the less you pay. The premiums will remain low. I have 3 pets insured, $100 ded and my premiums are under $140 total and one pet is 13. Also, they have fantastic support! Cannot say enough good things.

Original review: July 27, 2018

My experience with Trupanion has been awesome. They have always helped me to keep my dog in good health and they have excellent customer service. They have financially helped me through the coverage of major illnesses. They have been a real blessing. I would recommend this company to anyone who loves their pet like family.

Original review: July 22, 2018

Trupanion was a lifesaver. When both my dogs had some serious medical issues at the same time, I had over $10,000 in vet bills - Trupanion paid most of it. I was able to take care of them without worrying about running up the credit card. Their site is easy to use, and the customer service is excellent if you have a question or problem. Claims are paid quickly. Whenever a friend gets a new furbaby - I recommend them signing up right away. Pre-existing conditions aren't covered, so sign up before you have any!

Original review: July 20, 2018

I agree this insurance is HORRIBLE. DO NOT GET IT. I am paying 250 per month for the dog and they declined more than half the problems with my dog. More important they claim the dog had a pre-existing condition 18 month prior to obtaining a policy with them. My dog wasn't born 18 months prior to obtaining policy. I hired the best animal litigation lawyer could find and she's in the process of suing them. It's not worth the headache dealing with Trupanion!

Original review: July 19, 2018

I was truly grateful for your compassion during a most difficult time. Your staff took the time to talk to me, and made me very comfortable. They are all very caring individuals, and it was truly a pleasure working with you. I will definitely use you again, hopefully in the near future, and will tell everyone I know about your great staff.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I have had Trupanion pet insurance for over 10 years. They offer many choices to choose from to help take care of my fur babies. I have had many occasions to use my insurance and they have always come through. Most recently, my emergency bill was quite large. The claim was sent, reviewed and I was reimbursed quickly. Even the follow-up visit reimbursement is quick. In addition, several of the staff even sent a get well card to my pup - I was impressed with their kindness. I would recommend highly this company when choosing insurance for your fur family member!

Original review: July 11, 2018

I’ve been with them for several years and fortunately not had to file a claim. I have however had a couple reasons to call with questions. They are great! You get a person quickly. They are kind, compassionate, interested in your pets and knowledgeable.

Trupanion expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Trupanion is a pet medical insurance company founded by CEO Darryl Rawlings. The company is a founding member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA) and has been publicly traded since July of 2014.

• Dog and cat coverage: With Trupanion, pet owners can get pet medical insurance for both dogs and their cats.

• 90% coverage: The company offers pet owners 90% coverage of actual veterinary costs for all approved pet accidents and illnesses.

• Unlimited lifetime coverage: Trupanion has no limit on the number of accidents, illnesses or years a pet can be covered for.

• Educational information: The company offers pet owners educational information via its website and print materials, which helps give tips for health, nutrition and warning signs for illness.

• Community focused: In addition to providing pet insurance, the company also contributes a lot to community organizations, contributing more than $200,000 to animal welfare programs across the country.

• Best for: Pet owners with dogs and cats, new pet owners and pet owners with rambunctious pets.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky