Trupanion

Trupanion

3.9/5 (355 ratings)

About Trupanion

For over 20 years, Trupanion pet insurance has offered comprehensive dog and cat insurance. It covers 90% of customers’ vet bills for accidents, illnesses, injuries, surgeries, hospital stays and many other costly vet visits. Trupanion does not cap payout limits to ensure your pet’s health needs are met. It sets lifetime deductibles for every condition, so there is no need to reach a new deductible every year for long-term conditions. Trupanion also pays veterinarians directly, simplifying the process for consumers. Pet owners can also purchase additional coverage (Recovery and Complementary Care package) for services like acupuncture, chiropractic treatment and hydrotherapy.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Direct payment to veterinarians
    • 90% coverage
    • No payout limits
    • Lifetime per-incident deductible

Cons

• No discount for multiple pets
    • No coverage for routine wellness

Bottom Line

Trupanion pet insurance offers deductibles based on individual conditions, along with customizable coverage and a variety of deductible options.

Top Trupanion Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion USA?

Verified

Trupanion was a lifesaver. When both my dogs had serious medical issues at the same time, I had $10,000 in vet bills. Trupanion paid most of it. I was able to take care of them wi...

Verified

My dog was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor and needed surgery and further treatment... I submitted my 1st claim and within 2 weeks I got reimbursed for 90% minus my deductible in...

What is Trupanion?

Trupanion offers both dog insurance and cat insurance. With Trupanion, all customers receive one simple plan that makes clear what’s covered and what’s not.

Trupanion plans cover all unexpected injuries and illnesses, reimbursing customers for 90% of their vet bills without payout limits once they’ve met their deductibles. Trupanion’s customer service team also lessens billing hassles by paying veterinarians directly.

Once you’ve enrolled, Trupanion’s waiting period for injury coverage is five days, which is shorter than the industry standard of 14 days. However, the waiting period before it covers treating any illnesses is 30 days.

Trupanion plans

Trupanion pet health insurance offers just one type of plan, although it’s applicable to both cats and dogs. Trupanion’s pet insurance plan is more expensive than many of its competitors', but the plan is comprehensive, and rates don’t automatically increase as your pet ages. With Trupanion’s lifetime, per-condition deductible, customers save more in the long run for chronic conditions, too.

What does Trupanion cover?

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of the cost to treat any new illness or condition that your pet experiences during the policy’s term. Its policies do not cover preexisting conditions, including any illness, injury or condition that your pet had before enrollment.

You have to wait at least five days to get coverage for injury treatment and 30 days for illness care. This is why it’s a good idea to enroll your pet while it’s young and healthy, before anything potentially serious and costly happens.

The company covers 90% of the cost of hereditary diseases, unidentified issues and congenital illnesses that are not preexisting conditions. This includes health problems that many other providers don’t cover, including:

• Hip dysplasia
    • Vitamins and supplements
    • Dental illness
    • Orthopedic issues

How much does Trupanion cost?

Trupanion dog insurance costs between $36 and $100 per month for most breeds, and Trupanion cat insurance costs between $23 and $57 per month. With Trupanion, pet owners can customize their coverage with a deductible up to $1,000 and add coverage enhancements, such as recovery care and pet owner assistance. Coverage enhancements add a few dollars to your premium every month.

Trupanion pet insurance plans include lifetime, per-condition deductibles instead of annual deductibles, meaning customers don’t have to keep paying year after year for a chronic condition. Once you’ve met the deductible for your pet’s condition, you’ll never have to pay the deductible again to treat it.

Trupanion does not offer a discount for multiple pets, but it does have a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied.

Trupanion FAQ

What is not covered?

Exam fees, taxes, wellness and preventive care and preexisting conditions are not covered. For an additional cost, you can purchase the Recovery and Complementary Care rider to cover alternative therapies and treatments.

Does Trupanion cover vaccinations?

No, Trupanion’s pet health insurance plan does not cover vaccinations. It only covers unexpected expenses, which don’t include wellness care, like vaccinations or preventive medications.

How long does it take to complete a claim with Trupanion pet insurance?

If your vet uses Trupanion’s software, Trupanion can directly pay the vet in minutes. You can ask if your veterinary clinic or hospital uses it. For reimbursement, the claims team processes the majority of claims within 24 hours, keeping you informed throughout the process. Many reviewers who pay at the time of visit mention getting reimbursed within two weeks.

Does Trupanion cover bloodwork?

It depends. If the bloodwork is routine, Trupanion pet insurance does not cover it. However, if it’s required as part of treatment for a covered illness or injury, it is covered.

Does Trupanion cover neutering?

Like most pet insurance companies, Trupanion does not cover the cost of neutering.

Is Trupanion worth it?

Trupanion is a pet insurance company offering a wide variety of coverage and convenience benefits. It has decades of experience, covers over 500,000 pets and has paid out over $1 billion in claims paid.  We recommend getting a quote and comparing coverage and cost with offers from other pet insurers.

Trupanion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion USA?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

Trupanion pet insurance is not transparent nor honest. I had them for a year and never made a claim. A friend warned me of them so I called to review coverage. Turns out they will not cover teeth nor hip because they consider them pre-existing. My dog never had teeth nor hip problems but when seen by a vet 2 years ago for vomiting was noted to have minor teeth issue and hip dysplasia. When I signed up for Trupanion they dug up, from prior vet visits, all the medical information they could to enhance the pre-existing conditions. They never informed me of what they decided not to cover. They were not transparent. Be careful as their exclusion criteria is long, vague and will be applied without your knowledge. You will continue to pay premiums then when you need them they may have found a way to consider a medical problem pre-existing.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

Better off setting your own pet account. Covered $9 on a $1500 bill. No pre existing conditions. Have paid thousands in premiums for nothing. Took over a month for them to review and then they decide to apply double the deductible for 1 procedure. Save your money. Trupanion is a like a scam to me.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

If you want to pay Trupanion to protect your pet, make sure of your pet's history, because a minimum exam will NOT be paid with a minimum problem you have had. My example is with cats. They usually have urine infections, even if they are minimal and if you later put a Trupanion insurance on them, even if it is a small urine infection. When your cat is older and as almost always happens, your cat has kidney problems, he will not pay any of these expenses that you have in this regard. In other words. look with the same magnifying glass to enroll them and spend that monthly money because they will look with a bigger magnifying glass so as not to pay you. Also, as soon as they got my first medical bills after 3 years, they sent a note that my insurance would go from $120 to $160.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

Horrible experience with this company that will always find a way to not cover your claims. My dog had a treatment resistant eye infection so when I went to see a specialist they claimed the specialist consultation was not covered!! They will always find a reason to deny your claim or pay you back less than your monthly premium. By the way their denials cannot be appealed!!

I paid close to $600 for the ophthalmologist that my vet referred me to for a previously reported condition and still they covered only $60 when the monthly premium is $75. Do yourself a favor and save your money by saving the premiums until you need to pay the vet. Avoid this company!!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

When I signed up in the big bullet points - it said "What is not covered" "routine pet visits and preventative care". But when my dog got sick it did not cover the vet exam either - of which was not boldly on their site - and that part of the bill was the most expensive because it was after hours - they are deceptive in their dealings - when I looked at 5 other pet insurances up front you capped and the vet visit into your plan and they are clear.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

My breeder recommended Trupanion and I enrolled my Mini Dachshund the same day we brought her home at 8 weeks of age. Shortly after that, she was stung or bitten in the face by something in the garden and her face swelled up to twice its normal size. She was obviously in distress. It was the weekend and our regular vet's office was closed, so we rushed to the emergency vet an hour away. They treated her and kept her under observation for several hours. The bill was $260. We knew $200 would go towards the deductible but expected Trupanion to pay 90% of the balance.

That was 3 months ago. They have found one reason after another to tell us the claim is still "under review." I have cheerfully provided any information they requested and resolved any problems they said were delaying processing. For example, when I inquired about status after 2 months, they said the vet refused to provide them with the necessary medical history. I made one phone call and it was done. Clearly they do not want to pay this claim. Frankly I am so disgusted with their false advertising and terrible customer service that I am probably going to cancel coverage even if they do pay.

Original review: July 30, 2022

Terrible experience with Trupanion! My dog was misdiagnosed by a vet, claiming he had back trauma without doing any testing to verify his “diagnosis.”. This doctor refused to run a Lyme disease test. My poor 5 pound dog suffered for a month. Then, he started limping and we knew something was wrong so we took him to another vet. That vet ran an x-ray to verify if he had indeed any back injury. No back injury. Then she ran blood to test for Lyme disease. The results came back as Lyme disease. Trupanion refused to cover any of it, not even the x-ray to verify the first missed diagnosis.

Their reason? He didn’t have a lyme disease vaccine, when this vaccine has been proven to cause much suffering in dogs, especially tiny toy dogs. Trupanion also states that my dog had a prior condition of luxating patella. That condition had nothing to do with this diagnosis. No coverage at all, not even the x-ray to verify the missed diagnosis. Truepanion covered the missed diagnosis, of course using that money for the deduction but not the X-ray to prove the misdiagnosis! What a scam! Also, now my dog has a record of back trauma which will be considered a pre-existing condition in the future which is a lie!

Original review: July 29, 2022

I was looking for insurance that offered more coverage so switched from Healthy Paws to Trupanion. Big Mistake. I called first to make sure there would be no pre-existing condition clauses before I did and was assured there would not be so I signed up and canceled Healthy Paws. My puppy had two incidents, one was when he ate through an electrical cord and the other was for shaking for some unknown reason. Trupanion decided these two incidents constituted a foreign body exclusion on his policy. Even after I verified prior to joining it would not be. There was never a foreign body found in my dog. His shaking ended up being from fear of an appliance in my home.

Trupanion decided they would not cover any bill for foreign body because of those two incidents. Again, was proven he had NO FOREIGN BODY. I was able to go back to Healthy Paws and they agreed, no foreign body. DO NOT CHOOSE TRUPANION. They lied to me, misrepresented themselves to me and falsely claimed my dog had a foreign body when all medical records showed he had not. The person I spoke to before deciding to switch from Health Paws to them stated he was one of the founders of the company to try to get me to sign up. I later found he was not. Total dishonesty. DO NOT CHOOSE TRUPANION, THEY ARE DISHONEST.

Original review: July 21, 2022

Trupanion Pet Insurance, despite its marketing, is all about the bottom line and profit, which means customer service comes last. A year ago Trupanion sent an email about changing the deductible (never bothered to send a hardcopy). But the customer representative never made it clear that once you increase your deductible you can never lower it in the future. Dishonest.

Now I learn you can always to increase your deductible. This policy is all about profit, and getting customers into policies that make money for the company (at the expense of what is in the best interest of the customer). I complained about not be fully aware of never being able to lower the deductible, and they simply dismissed what I was saying. We sent you an email is all they said. Stay away. This company could not give a damn about you or your pet.

Original review: July 21, 2022

Spent 12, 11 and 2 years paying premiums for 3 dogs so I would never have to place money over their care should something happen. When my multipoo developed a spinal problem and needed emergency care, the nightmare began. I was looking at a $4K MRI and then surgery which would have been covered at 90% (or at least that is what they are telling me - I don't believe they would have come through on this for a minute). Instead, my vet wanted to use laser therapy because it was less invasive which came to $240. They denied it because they sent me a secret email over a year ago telling me I needed to pay more money for an additional rider. The bottom line is when it came time to use them, all I got was lip service. You are better putting your money in a savings account. I cancelled all 3 policies and plan to let everyone and anyone know to steer clear of this company.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Pet Insurance partner.

Trupanion Company Information