2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

3.7/5 (198 ratings)

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

About Trupanion

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of customers’ vet bills for their dogs and cats, with no maximum payout limits. It sets lifetime deductibles for every condition, so there is no need to reach a new deductible every year for long-term conditions. Trupanion also pays veterinarians directly, simplifying the process for consumers. Though many consumers are unhappy with their high premiums, the broad coverage justifies the cost for many pet owners.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Direct payment to veterinarians
    • 90% coverage
    • No payout limits

Cons

• High premiums

Bottom Line

Trupanion pet insurance offers deductibles based on individual conditions, along with customizable coverage and a variety of deductible options.

Top Trupanion Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Trupanion was a lifesaver. When both my dogs had serious medical issues at the same time, I had $10,000 in vet bills. Trupanion paid most of it. I was able to take care of them wi...

Verified

My dog was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor and needed surgery and further treatment... I submitted my 1st claim and within 2 weeks I got reimbursed for 90% minus my deductible in...

What is Trupanion?

Trupanion offers both dog insurance and cat insurance. With Trupanion, all customers receive one simple plan that makes clear what’s covered and what’s not.

Trupanion plans cover all unexpected injuries and illnesses, reimbursing customers for 90% of their vet bills without payout limits once they’ve met their deductibles. Trupanion’s customer service team also lessens billing hassles by paying veterinarians directly. Once you’ve enrolled, Trupanion’s waiting period for injury coverage is five days, which is shorter than the industry standard of 14 days. However, the waiting period before it covers treating any illnesses is 30 days.

Trupanion pet insurance plans

Trupanion pet health insurance offers just one type of plan, although it’s applicable to both cats and dogs. Trupanion’s pet insurance plan is more expensive than many of its competitors', but the plan is comprehensive and rates are fixed for the entire length of the policy. With Trupanion’s lifetime, per-condition deductible, customers save more in the long run for chronic conditions, too.

What does Trupanion cover?

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of the cost to treat any new illness or condition that your pet experiences during the policy’s term. Trupanion’s preexisting conditions policy is similar to other companies’, meaning it does not cover any illness, injury or condition that your pet had before enrollment. You have to wait at least five days to get coverage for injury treatment and 30 days for illness care.

The company covers 90% of the cost of hereditary diseases, unidentified issues and congenital illnesses that are not preexisting conditions. This includes health problems that many other providers don’t cover, including:

• Hip dysplasia
    • Vitamins and supplements
    • Dental illness
    • Orthopedic issues

How much does Trupanion pet insurance cost?

Trupanion dog insurance costs between $36 and $100 per month for most breeds, and Trupanion cat insurance costs between $23 and $57 per month. With Trupanion, pet owners can customize their coverage with a deductible up to $1,000, along with coverage enhancements, such as recovery care and pet owner assistance. Coverage enhancements add a few dollars to your premium every month.

Trupanion pet insurance plans include lifetime, per-condition deductibles instead of annual deductibles, meaning customers don’t have to keep paying year after year for a chronic condition. Once you’ve met the deductible for your pet’s condition, you’ll never have to pay the deductible again to treat it.

Trupanion does not offer a discount for multiple pets, but it does have a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied.

Trupanion FAQ

Does Trupanion cover cancer?
    Trupanion animal insurance does cover cancer as long as it was not diagnosed before the beginning of the policy or within the waiting period.
    Does Trupanion cover vaccinations?
    No, Trupanion’s pet health insurance plan does not cover vaccinations. It only covers unexpected expenses, which don’t include wellness care, like vaccinations or preventive medications.
    How long does it take to complete a claim with Trupanion pet insurance?
    While Trupanion doesn’t say how long its claim process lasts, many reviewers who pay at the time of visit mention getting reimbursed within two weeks.
    Does Trupanion cover blood work?
    It depends. If the blood work is routine, Trupanion pet insurance does not cover it. However, if it’s unexpected, it is covered.
    Does Trupanion cover neutering?
    Like most pet insurance companies, Trupanion does not cover the cost of neutering.

Is Trupanion worth it?

Trupanion is a pet insurance company offering a wide variety of coverage and convenience benefits. Trupanion pays 90% of your vet bills with no maximum limit, and it doesn’t raise annual rates. To save you money, the company also sets lifetime, per-condition deductibles and cuts out the middleman by paying veterinarians directly. However, Trupanion’s monthly premiums are still pricier than its competitors', so this company is best for customers who want more coverage and benefits and are willing to pay for it.

Trupanion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

My experience with Trupanion has-been mostly positive. With my plan, Trupanion covers 90% of the cost for most vet visits-- but they do not cover testing fees or exam fees, which can be very expensive when trying to diagnose and properly treat your pet. My monthly premium is ~$18, which I feel is a fair price for 90% coverage on most expenses. The claims process is a piece of cake, too, which takes the headache out of filing a claim. You're done in a matter of seconds.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

When my dog needed medical care in several instances, they paid the claim without argument or procrastinating. Pet health insurance is priceless as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to be in a position where I have to choose between my dog's life and money. I tried the reimbursable pet insurances and had really bad service.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Trupanion cares! My dog needs meds daily and we are so thankful to have Trupanion on our side. It’s such a comfort to know there is no hassle with claims and almost immediate approval. Not like other insurance companies for sure! Thank you Trupanion.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

Great pet insurance at a great price. And I don't have to worry about being able to afford the vet in an emergency. I've had this for over a year now and I can't say how better I feel knowing I can handle whatever comes up with my fur babies.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

My new puppy had a foxtail up his nose, and had to have an emergency rhinoscopy. He could not stop sneezing. I called Trupanion after I dropped him off at the Vet. They were kind and efficient. They paid my Vet directly before I picked him up the same day! It could not have been easier, transparent or straightforward. I had my insurance less than a month with no waiting period. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND to anyone with a pet. I could not be happier.

Original review: July 14, 2021

Trupanion will deny your claims and rip you off. I bought the insurance for my dog Bruce when I got him. It turns out that he had aggression and behavior issues. Lucky for me that Trupanion covers that! Only they didn’t. They repeatedly denied claims. I was told that I need to get approval for a vet for Bruce to receive behavior modification training, which I did. They denied the claim and told me that he had to be under the direct supervision of behavior modification licensed vet. That service does not exist in Austin or anywhere nearby. Terrible service. They will take your money and do everything in their power not to pay out a claim. Run away from this company! Set aside the money yourself…. That is far more useful than this service.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I had just adopted a 1 yr old cat. I signed up for Trupanion. I was on the plan for 15 days when she started limping and not using her paw. I took her in, and they said it looked like some kind of chemical burn or something. They took out a little piece of sticky gooey substance that was stuck in her inner paw between her toes. They put it down as inflamed pododermatitis. The vet said that whatever it was caused it to inflame. It was not a pre existing condition. The vet called them to explain this, and all they said to me was from their notes, the vet agreed with them. I had just spoken with the vet earlier and they did not say that. On top of that, it took them 2 months to get papers from the vet only… Ridiculous. They keep saying it's within the waiting period…. 30 days.. But it was not an illness or pre existing, so the waiting period is 5 days… I had 15 days in.

Original review: June 5, 2021

I have paid then over $159 a month for 7 years. I added a rider last year for my 13 year old golden for acupuncture. I felt he may be in pain but not sure. I did not use the rider for 6 months. Started acupuncture and out in claims and they rejected them saying it was pre existing since he was on a prescribed anti-inflammatory. These people are horrible. I switched my other two Goldens over to Lemonade which has been amazing!! Stay away from Trupanion.

Original review: May 25, 2021

I’m aware of the 30 day waiting period but the pre existing condition is bull. Even that 30 day period is unacceptable. They say they care about pets, they don’t. They care about money and profit. Why would I pay the monthly premium and activation fee if my dog isn’t even covered for 30 days for illnesses? Why would a trip to emergency not be covered? It’s hogwash. Stay far away - not worth the monthly premium for regular trips to vet and even some emergencies! Highly suggest opening up a savings account for your pet and putting money in there monthly rather than in pockets of these shameless insurance companies.

Original review: May 18, 2021

This is probably going to be the most honest review on Trupanion that you can find. First off I just want to say that the customer service alone is not the best and every time I called with a problem to get more information on and for their help, to sum it up I would always be told NO. They never tried to do anything to better my experience and or help in any way they can to ensure I wouldn't stop giving them my business. The reason being for that is because Trupanion is actually a small company hence why they are strict and they don't always tell you everything when you are first signing up, very shady business. My mistake was during the waiting period, which is 30 days and very stupid, I fed my dogs too many treats and she got sick. Well Trupanion consider that a pre-existing condition because it happened during the waiting period and won't be covered if she ever got constipated by something else.

I admit my mistake but my dog is doing fine now and it doesn't affect her living and she doesn't need to take medication for it so how are you going to tell me this is a condition when this only happened because of treats. I had fought with them trying to tell them that is so unfair because it is not a pre-existing condition and that my dog has a clean bill of health and they knew that when I first signed up. With very valid information of my dog being healthy and even my vet connecting with Trupanion because she didn't agree with their service of considering this a pre-existing condition, they did not care to try to help me and their final answer was NO sorry. So strike number 1.

Strike number 2 is they don't cover for the simplest things that can added up which is vaccines, deworming, taxes, appointment fees, or any other fees. That alone can cost up to $100 each time you go to the vet when you have a brand new puppy, so why am I paying for Trupanion thinking they would help me out when I'm paying for the vet bill every time just because they don't cover vaccines or fees etc. I'm just throwing money out the window. What I really don't agree with is a statement on their website about what they don't cover which is that they don't cover any sickness that could have been prevented by a vaccine and or dewormer.

So in my head I think ok well some people are unable to afford all those vaccines and deworming because like I said they can add up, so wouldn't Trupanion want to cover that so it can prevent the dog getting sick, or ensure a healthy dog and help out by covering for all those things like even the taxes and fees, vaccines deworming, well NO they don't. So really what is the point of having Trupanion. They do cover a lot when your dog is in a accident and or your dog is really sick even though you had the vaccines done and all that stuff, but that is the only time they cover for you. Otherwise you are stuck paying everything else and if you don't have the extra benefits well you are just screwed. Not to mention they barely cover anything dental related, honestly the list goes on about what they don't cover and they don't tell you about, once again very shady business.

Strike number 3 is that you are unable to change your plan/policy and you are stuck with what you get when you first sign up. If you get a puppy how are you suppose to know if you would need extra benefits in the future, I guess better to be safe than sorry, but even if you were paying for the extra stuff and you came to realize that you are pretty responsible and your dog is very healthy so it's not worth paying extra and want to take out those extra benefits, well you can't. You are stuck with it for the duration you have your dog. Or if you realize, "Hey maybe I want this extra stuff because my dog has been going through a lot" well nope. Sorry. Can't add it into your plan. That is one of the things they don't fully explain to you when they first sign up.

I try to add the extra benefits and if I had to cancel my plan and re-signed up and wait the 30 days again just so I can have the extra coverage, then ok I'll do it but the representative kept telling me she doesn't advise me doing that and I had asked her, "Ok. What do you advise me to do," and she didn't have an answer for me which takes me back to when I say they don't try to do anything to help you to ensure your business with them, they can honestly care less. I switched to Petsecure and many people switch from Trupanion to Petsecure because of the poor business.

Petsecure is Canadian proud and the leading pet insurance in Canada where Trupanion is American but offer business in Canada. Petsecure covers everything that Trupanion doesn't cover and more. If you get the Secure 4 plan, which is pricey but you know what it is worth it because it covers fees, taxes, vaccines, and deworming then you will be walking out of the vet office paying close to $0 each time because they cover way more and you can change your plan anytime you like hassle free. Petsecure covers pre-existing conditions as well but I advise to get more information on that by calling them. Do yourself a favor and get Petsecure.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Pet Insurance partner.

Trupanion Company Information