Trupanion
3.00/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

Trupanion Reviews

Need a pet insurance provider?

Trupanion Reviews

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

We got the insurance for 2 pets 6 years ago...one being 7 and the other about 8 weeks at the time. The younger one was very sick for 2 years and needed really expensive food. That allowance runs out after 2 months. He eventually got well and has needed little care since. The older one developed Cushing's...for which twice annual testing and monthly medication was very expensive. We got our premiums back big time on her. Trupanion even sent a sympathy card to us when she died 3 weeks ago. They pay promptly and are very easy to work with. But no exams and no routine care are covered. Premiums for my old girl were at $96/mo which I did not think unreasonable for a 13 year old. It's like all insurance. You are paying the premium in case you need it. One ACL repair on our girl was $2100, we paid $100 deductible for new diagnosis, then they covered 90%.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I have had Trupanion for my Pomeranian for 6 years. This insurance has been awesome and has more than paid for itself in the last 2 years alone. I don’t understand the negative reviews. Yes the premiums go up every year but so did all the other pet insurance companies. If your pet isn’t enrolled in Vet pay, you will receive reimbursement for your claims within 3 days. They have NEVER denied any of our claims and we have had many in just the last 2 years. Probably more than most claims in 2 years than most people have in the lifetime of their pet. I am so thankful we have Trupanion for our fur baby.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2019

My dog was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor and needed surgery and further treatment. I was reluctant since this was my 1st claim and didn’t know what to expect. All I can tell you is wow I submitted my 1st claim and within 2 weeks I got reimbursed for 90% - my deductible, after that it was 3 days. Trupanion is a great company. I will recommend them to family and friends. Such a peace of mind knowing your little babies are covered. Thanks Trupanion!!!

Original review: March 25, 2019

We have had Trupanion for both our dog (8 years) and our cat (5 years). In January, our cat became severely ill, and a referral was made by our local vet to a specialty clinic. He was in Critical Care there for 5 days, had numerous ultrasounds, lab tests, a blood transfusion, a bone marrow biopsy, and had to have a feeding tube inserted. Yesterday, we had to take him back in for an infection at the feeding tube site. To date, Trupanion has been nothing but great! We have the 90/10 plan with a $100 deductible. Our bills to date have totaled almost $17K and Trupanion has paid 90% of those bills, excluding exams (yes, even including the ICU exams) and state taxes. We will have a big decision to make in the next day or so, but at least cost consideration will not have to play a role in whether to euthanize or not.

People complain about the cost. Yes, it's high (we pay $113/month for both our pets). No, they don't cover exams (which I wish they did, especially in emergency situations). No, they don't pay for preventive care (but our local vet offers those types of plans, so maybe people should check with their vets & see if such plans are available). But when the chips are down, they came through with prompt payment and kindness in dealing with us. I see a lot of bad reviews here, but I have to admit that I simply don't get it. If you have something catastrophic happen like we've had happen, you realize how worth it the insurance is.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Trupanion was there for my dog from the start. Unfortunately, my dog developed severe allergies at the very young age of 1 years old. After meeting my deductible, Trupanion paid 90% (minus the exam fees, which I knew wasn't covered) of ALL cost associated with his condition for the next 4 years. These cost included treatment by family vet as well as allergy specialists, ALL treatments, ALL medications, ALL Skin shampoos, ALL testing, ALL hospital stays. I couldn't have given my dog the care he had if it wasn't for Trupanion. I am truly appreciative of the service they provided from the wonderful customer representatives to the payout of claims. I have a peace of mind knowing that if my other dog should ever have the need for treatment of any kind, Trupanion will be there for me and him.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

I bought insurance for my dogs, I realize this is just catastrophic insurance and not healthcare. But every claim I have filed they found a way to deny it. Most recently my dog broke a tooth off, below the gum line and it required out surgery to get fixed. When I filed the claim with the multiple invoices for the one injury, they separated them and said each invoice was a separate claim, so most were under he deductible. The two that were above the deductible they denied saying I didn't have coverage. This was the last straw.

A previous claim for an eye injury was treated the same. I've tried talking to their customer service over and over, but it hasn't done me any good. The money I spent every month on the premiums I should have just put in a bank account, I could have paid the total of both claims. It's a ripoff... I would even go so far as to say it's a scam.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

What a scam of a company. Doesn't really care about the wellness of your pets. Every. Single. Claim. Denied. They don't cover office visits, they don't cover vaccines, they don't cover de-worming, they don't cover when your pet gets sick. Period. How are you supposed to keep your pet healthy if the insurance company you pay hundreds for a month denies every claim? How can you say you care about pet health if your company doesn't even cover basic wellness? Don't ever get Trupanion insurance. It's a total waste of your money.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

We had purchased insurance for our puppy the day we brought him home, 12 months ago. 6 months back the groomer hurt him and we had to bring him to the vet. It costed us 450$ including medicine and taxes. Our deductible was supposed to be 200$ for every claim, it took over 3 months for them the process the claim, to say that our deductible was over 300$ so that we would not be receiving any money back. The plan we had choose was a deductible for 200$ with 90% back to us. Company will find any reason not to pay you,! My advice to you is take your 75$ a month and put it in a jar and call it the medical emergency fund for your pet. And if ever you need it you will have enough to pay for the vet bills. I WOULD NOT GO WITH THIS COMPANY! You will be let down if you need to file a claim. Their customer service was very convincing however they will trick you to not pay you!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

I have an 8 yr old American Bulldog. Perfectly healthy who never had any health issues. His wellness checkups have always been good. (He has been on a raw food diet for a while). April 2018 he hurt his knee while on vacation with us and required an ACL surgery. So we took him to one of the best hospitals in New Jersey for his surgery and we paid out of pocket - We had no insurance at that time because we didn’t feel the need for it. His TTA Surgery was successful and he healed well. It was then we were told to get insurance because there was a risk (I believe 40% chance) of his other leg requiring surgery because of the first ACL tear. Less than a year later after the initial tear he was exhibiting a slight limp on the same leg, we took him in and they did X-rays, they ran a scope and removed some more of ligament tear that was causing the limp.

Now that we had insurance, we submitted the claim. They refused the claim and said it was a “pre-existing condition” and that they would not cover it. So again we paid out of pocket. 17 months later, we noticed a slight limp again, but this time on his other leg. We took him in to see the surgeon, X-rays showed slight inflammation but nothing that required surgery at that time. Few weeks later the limp got worse. We called the insurance company and yet again we're told “pre-existing condition” and that they will not cover it.

So here is my perturbing question: why have this insurance? Why have insurance and pay the high premiums when we have to pay out of pocket every single time? When we first got insurance and told the company the reason for buying this insurance they should have told us at that time they wouldn’t cover ACL since it’s a “pre-existing condition”. They knew the history of our pup and never once mentioned there wouldn’t be any coverage.

We are now down 1000’s of dollars plus we were paying the monthly premiums all this time for absolutely nothing. We love our pup dearly, and we don’t mind paying, but its the integrity of the insurance company that gets to me. The insurance company should have told us this when we discussed the reason for the insurance. They should have at least given us options. For them to deny yet again on another leg is absolute greed and disgusting. I can’t say I’m surprised by it, but I’m indignant as a customer knowing that I am paying so much to ensure my pup and my family stay protected, because isn’t that the whole point of insurance? Peace of mind?

It’s absolutely disgusting how insurance companies work. I advise anyone considering insurance to please ask the questions that I never did. Since then we have cancelled our insurance, as we find it's better to save money separately for our pup than to go through this utter frustration as a family. #petownersbeaware #weloveourpup #asktherightquestions #americanbulldogs #champ #doginsurance #trupanion

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

We chose Trupanion coverage on the advice of our vet when our poodle, Max, was only three months old. He only had a couple of issues during his 13 years, and Trupanion paid appropriately. They have just refused, however, our final claim. And so I took the time to analyse their rates. In the 13 years between 2006 and 2019, inflation in Canada totalled 24.6% -- TRUPANION'S RATE WENT UP 475%. ONCE HE WAS INSURED, HOWEVER, WE WERE STUCK. This was a personable Vancouver-based company when we signed up. Now it acts like corporate America.

Trupanion expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Trupanion is a pet medical insurance company founded by CEO Darryl Rawlings. The company is a founding member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA) and has been publicly traded since July of 2014.

• Dog and cat coverage: With Trupanion, pet owners can get pet medical insurance for both dogs and their cats.

• 90% coverage: The company offers pet owners 90% coverage of actual veterinary costs for all approved pet accidents and illnesses.

• Unlimited lifetime coverage: Trupanion has no limit on the number of accidents, illnesses or years a pet can be covered for.

• Educational information: The company offers pet owners educational information via its website and print materials, which helps give tips for health, nutrition and warning signs for illness.

• Community focused: In addition to providing pet insurance, the company also contributes a lot to community organizations, contributing more than $200,000 to animal welfare programs across the country.

• Best for: Pet owners with dogs and cats, new pet owners and pet owners with rambunctious pets.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky