2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.34/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of customers’ vet bills for their dogs and cats, with no maximum payout limits. It sets lifetime deductibles for every condition, so there is no need to reach a new deductible every year for long-term conditions. Trupanion also pays veterinarians directly, simplifying the process for consumers. Though many consumers are unhappy with their high premiums, the broad coverage justifies the cost for many pet owners.

BOTTOM LINE

Trupanion pet insurance offers deductibles based on individual conditions, along with customizable coverage and a variety of deductible options.

PROS

• Direct payment to veterinarians
    • 90% coverage
    • No payout limits

CONS

• High premiums

Top Trupanion Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Trupanion was a lifesaver. When both my dogs had serious medical issues at the same time, I had $10,000 in vet bills. Trupanion paid most of it. I was able to take care of them without worrying about running up the credit card. Pre-existing conditions aren't covered, so sign up before you have any!

My dog was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor and needed surgery and further treatment... I submitted my 1st claim and within 2 weeks I got reimbursed for 90% minus my deductible in 3 days. Trupanion is a great company. Such a peace of mind knowing your little babies are covered.

What is Trupanion?

Trupanion offers both dog insurance and cat insurance. With Trupanion, all customers receive one simple plan that makes clear what’s covered and what’s not.

Trupanion plans cover all unexpected injuries and illnesses, reimbursing customers for 90% of their vet bills without payout limits once they’ve met their deductibles. Trupanion’s customer service team also lessens billing hassles by paying veterinarians directly. Once you’ve enrolled, Trupanion’s waiting period for injury coverage is five days, which is shorter than the industry standard of 14 days. However, the waiting period before it covers treating any illnesses is 30 days.

Trupanion pet insurance plans

Trupanion pet health insurance offers just one type of plan, although it’s applicable to both cats and dogs. Trupanion’s pet insurance plan is more expensive than many of its competitors', but the plan is comprehensive and rates are fixed for the entire length of the policy. With Trupanion’s lifetime, per-condition deductible, customers save more in the long run for chronic conditions, too.

What does Trupanion cover?

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of the cost to treat any new illness or condition that your pet experiences during the policy’s term. Trupanion’s preexisting conditions policy is similar to other companies’, meaning it does not cover any illness, injury or condition that your pet had before enrollment. You have to wait at least five days to get coverage for injury treatment and 30 days for illness care.

The company covers 90% of the cost of hereditary diseases, unidentified issues and congenital illnesses that are not preexisting conditions. This includes health problems that many other providers don’t cover, including:

• Hip dysplasia
        • Vitamins and supplements
        • Dental illness
        • Orthopedic issues

How much does Trupanion pet insurance cost?

Trupanion dog insurance costs between $36 and $100 per month for most breeds, and Trupanion cat insurance costs between $23 and $57 per month. With Trupanion, pet owners can customize their coverage with a deductible up to $1,000, along with coverage enhancements, such as recovery care and pet owner assistance. Coverage enhancements add a few dollars to your premium every month.

Trupanion pet insurance plans include lifetime, per-condition deductibles instead of annual deductibles, meaning customers don’t have to keep paying year after year for a chronic condition. Once you’ve met the deductible for your pet’s condition, you’ll never have to pay the deductible again to treat it.

Trupanion does not offer a discount for multiple pets, but it does have a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied.

Trupanion FAQ

Does Trupanion cover cancer?
        Trupanion animal insurance does cover cancer as long as it was not diagnosed before the beginning of the policy or within the waiting period.
        Does Trupanion cover vaccinations?
        No, Trupanion’s pet health insurance plan does not cover vaccinations. It only covers unexpected expenses, which don’t include wellness care, like vaccinations or preventive medications.
        How long does it take to complete a claim with Trupanion pet insurance?
        While Trupanion doesn’t say how long its claim process lasts, many reviewers who pay at the time of visit mention getting reimbursed within two weeks.
        Does Trupanion cover blood work?
        It depends. If the blood work is routine, Trupanion pet insurance does not cover it. However, if it’s unexpected, it is covered.
        Does Trupanion cover neutering?
        Like most pet insurance companies, Trupanion does not cover the cost of neutering.

Is Trupanion worth it?

Trupanion is a pet insurance company offering a wide variety of coverage and convenience benefits. Trupanion pays 90% of your vet bills with no maximum limit, and it doesn’t raise annual rates. To save you money, the company also sets lifetime, per-condition deductibles and cuts out the middleman by paying veterinarians directly. However, Trupanion’s monthly premiums are still pricier than its competitors', so this company is best for customers who want more coverage and benefits and are willing to pay for it.

Trupanion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: April 29, 2020

I am a huge advocate of Trupanion. My beautiful Great Dane was diagnosed with a heart condition 2 years ago and put on multiple medications. Trupanion covered without fail. My rates did not increase. 8 months ago, cancer was found, and they covered treatments, and more medications, again no rate changes. I am so happy that our coverage helped keep my girl with us. Trupanion, thank YOU! I am eternally grateful and will continue to sing your praises.

Original review: March 27, 2020

We—and our little Cavalier Spaniels—have been with Trupanion for over a decade, after spending countless hours researching pet insurance options and providers. Trupanion made it possible for us to pursue cancer treatment for our sweet girl, Molly, and give her another 2 healthy, happy years after her initial diagnosis. Trupanion also supported her eye care and medications for many years. Over the course of her life, we submitted well over 100 claims, and never—not a single time—did we have any trouble with the claims process, have to fight for a claim, or file an appeal. The claims process is extremely simple and takes less than 2 minutes to complete, and the money is in our account within just a few days.

While the premiums for Trupanion are more expensive than some other pet insurance products, the coverage is far more comprehensive. Trupanion paid out well over $150,000 in claims over the course of our little Molly’s life- and we never had to fight for a single claim. Not once. Trupanion covered every single treatment, test, and medication her doctors recommended, without any fight on our part.

Not only does Trupanion have a superior product, with excellent coverage, and a quick and easy claims process, but the customer service at Trupanion far exceeds that I’ve experienced with any other company in any industry. The Trupanion staff go out of their way to in being caring and empathetic during hard times. When our sweet Molly was diagnosed with cancer, I was terrified we weren’t going to be able to afford the treatment recommended by our vet. When I called Trupanion with questions about coverage, not only did they clearly explain the coverage available to us, but the customer service staff were so kind and understanding and so empathetic for what our family was going through.

I only wish that humans had access to the kind of excellent, comprehensive coverage, hassle-free claims process, and truly compassionate customer service in our insurance as our sweet pups have in Trupanion. Without Trupanion, we would not have been able to provide such a long, healthy, and happy life for our sweet girl. We are so truly and forever grateful to be with Trupanion!

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2020

I reasearched several Pet insurance companies before I got my puppy. Trupanion by far is the best coverage, with no lifetime limits per condition. A few months after getting my lab, I noticed him limping, after an X-ray and physical exam (which I was well aware the insurance wouldn’t cover the exam fee as I had read the fine print) it was determined that he had a partial tear in his cranial crucial ligament. He now goes for rehab (laser treatments, acupuncture, and hydrotherapy) 2-3 times per month and has been on Chinese herbal medicine and I’ve not once ever had an issue with payment or approval.

I submit my invoice after leaving the vet, and I have the money deposited back into my account within 3 days. I see so many reviews on here about people complaining that they don’t cover the exam fee or tax and a few other things, and all I can say is like anything, read the clauses and fine print, and you won’t have any surprises! Thank you Trupanion for making it possible to keep my baby happy, healthy, and pain free.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

We got the insurance for 2 pets 6 years ago...one being 7 and the other about 8 weeks at the time. The younger one was very sick for 2 years and needed really expensive food. That allowance runs out after 2 months. He eventually got well and has needed little care since. The older one developed Cushing's...for which twice annual testing and monthly medication was very expensive. We got our premiums back big time on her. Trupanion even sent a sympathy card to us when she died 3 weeks ago. They pay promptly and are very easy to work with. But no exams and no routine care are covered. Premiums for my old girl were at $96/mo which I did not think unreasonable for a 13 year old. It's like all insurance. You are paying the premium in case you need it. One ACL repair on our girl was $2100, we paid $100 deductible for new diagnosis, then they covered 90%.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I have had Trupanion for my Pomeranian for 6 years. This insurance has been awesome and has more than paid for itself in the last 2 years alone. I don’t understand the negative reviews. Yes the premiums go up every year but so did all the other pet insurance companies. If your pet isn’t enrolled in Vet pay, you will receive reimbursement for your claims within 3 days. They have NEVER denied any of our claims and we have had many in just the last 2 years. Probably more than most claims in 2 years than most people have in the lifetime of their pet. I am so thankful we have Trupanion for our fur baby.

Original review: June 25, 2020

There was no option to give a 0 star, otherwise I would have given that. Do not expect any of your claims to get approved, They will deny all as preexisting conditions. I have a 11 months old samoyed puppy and I got the Trupanion insurance 6 months back. Since then I had 2 claims 1 for $650 and other for $730 and both were denied citing preexisting conditions so best of luck trying to get your bigger claims approved. (Please watch movie Rainmaker) and Trupanion is that kind of insurance company.

Original review: June 23, 2020

To anyone who is looking into pet insurance, particularly Trupanion DON'T DO IT! My husband and I have been paying into it for over 3.5 years, $40 a month which totals to over $1500, we file a claim for $500, and not only did it take a MONTH to process the claim, but they only gave us back $90. This is what I call scamming decent humans when their dog needs help. An Insurance company that (surprise!) lets you down when you need them. Put your money away so when your pet has an emergency you can help them. Beyond Furious with Trupanion. PLEASE DON"T USE THEM! IF this was a real emergency and not a minor surgery I know Trupanion would not be too worried about Tucker and whether he lives or not, just their monthly payments. AND I DEFINITELY KNOW THEY WOULDN'T COVER THE BILL!!!!

Original review: June 9, 2020

The people at this company are very nice, but very incompetent. You can never speak to the same person twice if you have a problem. Ever. All the calls go into the same call center. Billing? Call center. Spent countless hours on the phone trying to get your problem resolved and want more help outside the call center? Forget it. I spoke with two different managers, and could never get either one of them to call me back, even though one could not believe the errors they had made. Want to write the president? Snail mail is the only way. Or, and I swear they told me this, send an email with the president's name in the subject line and he'll get it. Sure!!! My sister also fell victim to them, and is still trying to get her money back, because due to their incompetence, seems like they make sure things take longer than 30 days to address and then they won't refund. The absolute worst customer service I have experienced in decades. But, they are nice!!!

Original review: May 22, 2020

I have four dogs all of which are insured through Trupanion. As of late just about every claim is rejected or paid at a substantially reduced rate. You really need verified they paid the proper amount.

Original review: May 21, 2020

I don't even know where to start. To sum it up if you bring your pet to the vet within the 30 day wait period, or prior to signing up, they manage to associate anything that happens thereafter with those visits. If your pet even so much as farts they will not cover anything gastrointestinal. If you prove it was not related they will ask you provide a diagnosis... which there is no guarantee they will pay for all that testing. They basically make up the rules as they go along in order to prevent paying a claim. Want to file an appeal? GOOD LUCK! Everything you call a different will tell you what guidelines you need to follow... when you call back what you did was unnecessary and they will give you another set of guidelines to follow. My vet contacted them asking what other information they may need in order to process my claim and they never responded. I submitting my claims about 9-10 months in and all 3 were denied.

Trupanion Company Information