Trupanion
3.33/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

Trupanion Reviews

Need a pet insurance provider?

153 Trupanion Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 25, 2019

We have had Trupanion for both our dog (8 years) and our cat (5 years). In January, our cat became severely ill, and a referral was made by our local vet to a specialty clinic. He was in Critical Care there for 5 days, had numerous ultrasounds, lab tests, a blood transfusion, a bone marrow biopsy, and had to have a feeding tube inserted. Yesterday, we had to take him back in for an infection at the feeding tube site. To date, Trupanion has been nothing but great! We have the 90/10 plan with a $100 deductible. Our bills to date have totaled almost $17K and Trupanion has paid 90% of those bills, excluding exams (yes, even including the ICU exams) and state taxes. We will have a big decision to make in the next day or so, but at least cost consideration will not have to play a role in whether to euthanize or not.

People complain about the cost. Yes, it's high (we pay $113/month for both our pets). No, they don't cover exams (which I wish they did, especially in emergency situations). No, they don't pay for preventive care (but our local vet offers those types of plans, so maybe people should check with their vets & see if such plans are available). But when the chips are down, they came through with prompt payment and kindness in dealing with us. I see a lot of bad reviews here, but I have to admit that I simply don't get it. If you have something catastrophic happen like we've had happen, you realize how worth it the insurance is.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Trupanion was there for my dog from the start. Unfortunately, my dog developed severe allergies at the very young age of 1 years old. After meeting my deductible, Trupanion paid 90% (minus the exam fees, which I knew wasn't covered) of ALL cost associated with his condition for the next 4 years. These cost included treatment by family vet as well as allergy specialists, ALL treatments, ALL medications, ALL Skin shampoos, ALL testing, ALL hospital stays. I couldn't have given my dog the care he had if it wasn't for Trupanion. I am truly appreciative of the service they provided from the wonderful customer representatives to the payout of claims. I have a peace of mind knowing that if my other dog should ever have the need for treatment of any kind, Trupanion will be there for me and him.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

We have had pets our whole life and the majority have had pretty serious health issues. We all know how expensive that can be for pet parents. Well we were blessed with a puppy this past October and we knew immediately that we would get pet insurance for her. I did a lot of research and we decided on Trupanion for our Border Collie (Penny). I really liked what I read about them and if I’m going to be complaining honest, I had a good vibe or gut feeling about them.

Fast forward to this past month and poor Penny was really sick. She was incredibly lethargic and would not eat at all. In a matter of days she lost three pounds and I had to carry her to go pee outside. I lost it! My husband and I love her so much. Needless to say, we were incredibly worried and we rushed her to our Vet. After spending just under $1000 on diagnostics/medications I am happy to say Penny is on the mend! She has gained a pound and a half and is eating properly again. We are not exactly sure what the issue was with Penny but it was very scary and the last thing you want to do is stress about money at that time!

Here’s the thing, Trupanion was so awesome, I really cannot say enough about them. The process to file a claim was very simple and more than that, they were incredibly sweet and professional when I had the occasion to speak with them over the phone. I had the pleasure of talking to Carmen and I hope for your sake if you are a customer you have the pleasure of talking to her! I can honestly say that she is a true animal lover just like the ad says! What a lovely lady! The entire experience with Trupanion has just been an absolute pleasure! We have already been reimbursed for 90% of our fees (minus the deductible of course ) and I can honestly say I feel blessed to be part of the Trupanion family. I have already told everyone we know to go through Trupanion for pet insurance and I know we will do the same for all of our pets in the future.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Trupanion provides a client centric service model, compassion, care and ability to relate to people as pet owners with exceptional consistency! You're going to read good and bad reviews. Here's something to consider... Not everyone understands how insurance works. Some people fail at reading and understanding the terms of their coverage. Some simply ignore or choose not to read or understand the terms. Some people try to defraud insurance companies. Insurance companies review medical records to verify compliance with their coverage terms. Insurance does not mean an owner is absolved of all financial responsibility for their pets care. Ask your insurance company how vet billing works and how it affects your coverage.

When you're dealing with your family (Pet) it's important to pay attention and not blindly make uninformed choices. I invested in Insurance for Teddy because I care about him. I paid for everything out of pocket until he was hit by a car and had potentially life threatening injuries. His injuries quickly became very expensive and were certainly not common. I immediately contacted Trupanion to inform them of the accident and got Teddy to the vet hospital as fast as I could.

The metrics to employ when considering a claim is: "Is this problem potentially life threatening?" and "Does this problem potentially cause severe quality of life issues." Pet insurance is not like human health insurance. It's meant for bad to worse case scenario situations. Don't make the mistake of confusing human & pet insurance. You're responsible for your friend whether you have insurance or not. Trupanion is an excellent insurance provider. Some may disagree, maybe they failed to understand the companies policies. And, or, the general premise behind the services they signed up for.

Teddy, my cat, was severely injured with multiple injuries when he was hit by a car. These injuries were potentially life threatening and this is when Trupanion kicked in and have championed Teddy's recovery from the start. The amount of coverage Teddy has received along with support from staff has been nothing

short of amazing so far. Teddy has a specialist for his broken teeth, dislocated and fractured jaw, dislocated leg, and a surgeon for the removal of one of his eyes. It has been heart wrenching for me to have to see him go through this but I know he will get better and he knows that I love him.

This insurance company has been supportive with us and have fulfilled their obligations, according to their own policies, without hesitation or delay. Some of you may accuse me of being a shill for the company. I can't stop you from saying it. But you're only deluding yourself and doing a disservice to those seeking an informed review. If you're buying a product or service understand what you're buying or paying for before you do. Most Veterinarians in Toronto seem to have a really good opinion of this company and I can understand why they do. They act quickly and make informed decisions based on all available information. Teddy and I have had a really good experience with Trupanion. I have attached a picture of Teddy a day after he got to the hospital.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I don't get these reviews, I couldn't live without Trupanion. They have been so great through the dozens of claims I have had for different dogs. And yes, I have had a claim denied that I am currently appealing but it was a fair reason of a misunderstanding and Trupanion makes appeals super easy if the vet is willing to correct. Mostly though they have paid me right back for many surgeries, and illnesses by older dogs developed. Get the insurance right away when your pup is young so it is cheaper. Vets are out of control with their prices! You go in for a simple procedure and they want to do every test possible so it is thousands. A surgery can cost on average 5k-20k. It is a huge peace of mind to know Trupanion has your back.

I also have care credit which helps and Trupanion can preapprove a payment or refund you into your checking on most cases within a week or less! You can always get a rep on the phone and they are so pleasant to speak with every time. They are similar to Discover card's customer service where they take the time and really do actually care to keep the customer happy unlike some other companies where you know it will be super stressful to get a rep and then you are transferred non stop and frustrated. I have never experienced this in the 30 plus times I have called Trupanion. Actually look forward to communicating with them. I have a biz also and I know people just love complaining when unhappy and the happy don't do much which is why I am leaving such a long review. :)

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: June 17, 2019

If I could give no stars, I would've. They have not honored a single claim. My dog was vomiting. The claim was denied on the basis that he's vomited before. Well what dog hasn't?! He had a growth removed. Again denied because he had a growth 7 years ago as a puppy. An ER visit for a back injury. Zero reimbursement because there is a $450.00 claim PER CONDITION and although the total cost was just over $500, they don't cover the "exam portion" so ZERO PAID BY TRUPANION. This is the biggest scam I have ever experienced. We pay our monthly premiums every month, but they pay NOTHING.

Original review: June 13, 2019

My dog was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor and needed surgery and further treatment. I was reluctant since this was my 1st claim and didn’t know what to expect. All I can tell you is wow I submitted my 1st claim and within 2 weeks I got reimbursed for 90% - my deductible, after that it was 3 days. Trupanion is a great company. I will recommend them to family and friends. Such a peace of mind knowing your little babies are covered. Thanks Trupanion!!!

Original review: June 12, 2019

REAL COVERAGE = 35% + PREMIUM INCREASES = 100%. Trupanion mischaracterizes its coverage when it claims to provide 90% coverage. Here are the disclaimers they should add every time they make that claim:

*TRUPANION applies a CONDITION deductible for every condition the Vet treats. On my first Vet visit, I reported several symptoms which were treated as individual conditions each subject to separate deductibles. For me, DEDUCTIBLES represented 50% of the bill.

*TRUPANION does not reimburse the vet's administrative charges. For me, ADMIN charges represented more than 10% of the bill.

Also, in my experience, I started with TRUPANION at a reasonable premium which was then increased by 100% after a couple years without any explanation and despite the fact that I had never used the insurance. Makes me wonder if that is actually part of a pricing strategy.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Beware of these rip off artists. Started at 56 per month 5 years later 106 per month with zero claims. They lie and take your money. Every year they raise the premium without asking or consulting you whatsoever.

Original review: May 14, 2019

My 10 year old German Shepherd has been insured with Trupanion for over 3 years. This year, he developed neurological problems with his back legs. At the recommendation of his orthopedist, I had an MRI done, the beginning of April (4/4/19). I submitted the claim immediately. Trupanion requested and received records from my vets. Then several weeks later, requested additional records going back over 4 years. It is 5/13/19, and they still have not processed my claims. Additionally, my dog receives physical therapy for a previous injury (that was covered) and the PT claims, since the MRI, have not been processed, either. There are currently 6 claims, pending processing. I have contacted customer service several times and keep getting the runaround.

Unfortunately, this is not my first experience like this with Trupanion. Two years ago, my younger German Shepherd had cruciate surgery. Trupanion requested extensive records and took a prolonged amount of time to review the records, then determined the torn cruciate was a pre-existing condition from 2 yrs prior. It should be noted that these are competition dogs and this dog successfully compete during those 2 yrs; including jumping a hurdle and climbing walls, which should have been impossible with a torn cruciate. Both my general vet and the surgeon appealed the decision, but Trupanion refused to acknowledge that the injury was not pre-existing. Needless to say, I switched him to a different insurance company and couldn't be more pleased with them.

Given the history and the extent to which Trupanion is going, I fully expect them to try to deny this claim, as well. Obviously, my vets will appeal the decision, again, but Trupanion does not seem interested in reality, only their bottom line. We're back to rehab, today, so that will make 7 claims pending, and counting. Bottom line is that Trupanion will do everything they can to avoid covering injuries. The last thing you need is to be going through something traumatic with your pet and then be refused coverage by the insurance company you've been paying for years. I STRONGLY recommend any insurance company except Trupanion.

Original review: May 11, 2019

We have a dog with multiple health issues, including epilepsy (which requires expensive medications), and have had nothing but good and prompt service from Trupanion, both online and in person on the phone. They have consistently been timely and responsive and we are very grateful to have them in our corner.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I have had pet insurance since my dog was 2 months old. She is now 13. I have never filed a claim until recently. I went to the vet because of some tags that got worse and also, there was formation on her body that was filled with liquid. I thought it may be cancer, etc. I went to the vet to have her examined and he opined that it is most unlikely that it is cancer.

Second, vet stated that her teeth was very decayed and opined that unlike humans, dog's teeth can lead to other health concerns, starting with gum disease. He stated that it may require extraction, but do thorough examine the extent of her condition, he would need to sedate her and if necessary, surgery. I agreed, because it's my dog. My vet's office advised me that I have met my deductible of $1000 and that most likely will get back about $2400.

I proceeded and was advised on the day of the surgery that the vet will call me if the damage required surgery (extraction). It is emotionally horrifying because few things that my dog enjoys is chewing and to deprive of that one thing made me ache. Anyhow, the vet called me on the phone that her bottom teeth (and he named the numbers) are badly damaged and it would have to be extracted and asked for my permission which I gave. Then I got a second call, that upon examination of the second set of teeth, it was also irreversible and it should be extracted for the health of my dog. I cried but I have permission. The claim was filed by my vet and Trupanion denied my claim based on the fact that she did not have cancer.

1. I went there to "rule out cancer" and so their argument is, since my dog did not have cancer, they denied the claim. So that means, she has to have cancer? Why would I need an insurance if I know she is going to die?

2. Trupanion denied my claim for the teeth because it was "cleaning". The word that they use vs. facts related to my dog is different. I clean my dog's teeth and to prevent gum disease. The "deep examination and surgery under sedation " is NOT cleaning. Their interpretation of the word " cleaning" vs. " extraction" because it is a disease that may permeate to other health issues. It would not be called " surgery" if it was "cleaning".

I asked them to explain and they were unable to distinguish the meaning and application of the two words. I think surgery is a serious issue after the fact and to prevent further damage, whereas cleaning does not have disease factor, but merely a check up. They denied my coverage and I had to pay out close to $3000 and the years of premium I paid was worthless and their subjective interpretation was wrong. Trupanion is NOT a good company and the pet insurance is by far the biggest scam.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I have had this insurance for years and every claim I have submitted had been torture. They stall and don't try or follow up on getting paperwork and then they will shut down your case unless you realize it and intervene. Also if your pet had a preexisting condition they try and connect any future issue back to that one to avoid paying. They are a disgrace! Of course you can file an appeal assuming you and your vet have this kind of extra time on your hands. Don't waste your money. Heard great things about Healthy Paws so will be looking into them.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Do not insure with them. Client for nearly 3 years paying an $80 premium for my dog. Sent an email for our "anniversary", they were raising my rates to $172.00 per month! I have NEVER filed a claim. EVER! Cancelled and spreading the word on this horrible company. Heartbroken.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I just had a major claim denied for my 10 yr old lab. She had a skin tag on her eyelid that had previously fallen off but HAD NOT BEEN TREATED. The tag grew back and was irritating her eye. It was growing quickly and the Vet said it needed to come off ASAP or she would need to go to an expensive specialist. Trupanion denied the claim because she had always had the skin tag - even though it had never previously been a problem.

I read all of the reviews and conclude that I will keep my cats on the plan because I put them on when they were kittens. The happiest policy owners are those that signed their pets up as kittens or puppies. If your pet is older - beware - because there are too many ways for Trupanion to deny and you are wasting your money with all of the exclusions and pre-existing requirements and conditions.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I have submitted several claims and every time they find an excuse not to pay. On my letter of outcome they had the name of a vet's office that I have never even been to. I work in the veterinary industry and find their mistakes inexcusable. They kept asking for more history every time a claim is submitted even though they've already been sent EVERYTHING! I wonder if they lose the histories and need it again. I'm looking for another insurance company as soon as possible.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Bought insurance from Trupanion when my dog was 5 months old in May 2017. The premium quoted was $79.40. Within a year in May 2018, received an email saying due to veterinary equipments cost, the premium has updated to $100.74 per month. I have received an email today that for the love of our pet, the monthly premium has updated to $120.43 as of May 31, 2019. Basically there’s a ~30% increment the 1st year and ~20% the 2nd year. My dog has just turned 2 and have never submitted a claim. If I do the calculations right, I will be paying a couple hundred dollars when she’s 5. I’m looking for another insurance company since my dog is still young. Although they said they won’t increase the premium due to your pet’s age, they do raise the premium with other reasons.

Original review: April 22, 2019

When we got our dog, we figured we needed to do a bunch of things to take care of him. Getting insurance and signing him up for a vet seemed among the most important for his health. We did both but unfortunately we didn't think to wait to go to the vet for 30 days after signing up for the insurance. Trupanion has a 30 day sort of waiting period after you sign up. The vet told us that Hugo (our dog) had a heart problem, and eventually it turned out that we'd need him to have an $8000 surgery. Trupanion said that because we went during the 30-day waiting period they wouldn't cover it. Had we just waited for some days until the period ended, presumably they'd have covered it. The lesson I'd say, is if you're with Trupanion--they want you to avoid seeking medical care for your pet until their bureaucratic rules complete their term. On the other hand, they offered plenty of faux sympathy. If you value that be sure to make your monthly payments.

Original review: April 11, 2019

For over 12 years Trupanion Canada has been by my side through anything my dog had to go through. Reimbursements were in my account within 2 weeks of submitting and I never had a problem with my claims. After her passing, Trupanion was still there to help and I even got a handwritten sympathy card from them. I strongly recommend going with Trupanion. Thank you Trupanion.

Original review: April 8, 2019

They say they cover so much but then you put a claim in and they have excuses not to cover. My dog has cancer. I have claims for about 5000.00. They have had them for a month. I keep calling. You can't speak to claim department and your answer is they are working on it. I have to now go back every month for check up for cancer. They will not cover those appts. Every claim I have put in and have answers on are denied then they deny an appeal also. Do not go with this company. They are awful and don't pay your claims.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I recently joined Trupanion, I will advise they don't cover many things and you will ended paying yourself. This insurance is waste, I filed a claim. After 4 week they declined it, it's a pre existing condition as my puppy had diarrhea before, I spoke to my vet and they said it should be covered as it's not pre existing condition.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I am deeply dissatisfied with the services Trupanion offers. I pay a monthly fee of 89 CAD just to cover every condition on my own. Recently my dog had to have a molar tooth extracted because it was broken. The procedure costed 1200 CAD, I covered the 700 CAD deductible, which I knew I have to cover, and they covered only 300 CAD. I recently discovered another fractured tooth and took my dog to the vet, we are trying to avoid extraction and got him antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications. However, Trupanion does not want to cover because apparently it counts as a new conditions, which it does not, because he already had a broken tooth condition before.

It does not say that in their policy and now I am paying my monthly fees and on top of that I have to pay for the vet bill, which should be covered because I have already paid the deductible of that condition. I would most definitely not recommend Trupanion as you will end up paying for a service that almost never covers anything. Because apparently every single vet trip counts as a separate condition and you have to pay a deductible of 700 CAD first, which most likely you would never fulfill. Therefore, you are better off saving that 89 CAD every month and putting it towards vet bills.

Original review: March 18, 2019

So I've had this policy for a couple of years on my very healthy and very large dog. I got it because sometimes these big dogs have patella problems, hip, what have you. So he stepped on a thorn or something the other day and I took him in and the vet filed a claim, which was stupid on my part and theirs as well because now "limping" has been deemed a pre-existing condition. And heaven forbid, the dog needs knee surgery down the road and they have "limping" on his record. I asked the Trupanion clerk on the phone if it were possible that in the event the dog had a knee problem that they wouldn't cover it and she said, yes it was possible because perhaps it could be related to the aforementioned "limping." TOTAL SCAM.

Needless to say, I cancelled the reservation after thousands of dollars spent on an insurance that is pretty useless. If you are over 65, and you love your dog more than just about anyone, these predators could be out to get you. Remember, we - boomers are still the largest cohort and merchants will take advantage of you and rip you off if you let them. I have the sneaking suspicion that most of their "patients" belong to boomers. SO watch out for Trupanion and hang on to your wallet. Ana in Portland, Oregon.

Original review: March 4, 2019

During the past 5 years we have had Trupanion pet insurance for our 4 pets, premiums have totaled approximately $6000.00. I recently had my first significant claim when our Basset Hound developed glaucoma. Since we have $1000 deductible, I submitted all the receipts totally approximately $1250.00. I was told by their representative that evaluations and diagnostics were covered, but Trupanion disallowed all these claiming that these were merely "exams". My dog has had over 13 appointments to diagnosis his eyesight and adjust his medications, and Trupanion did not pay for a doctor's' appointment even when an ophthalmologist was involved!

The representative advised me to appeal and have the doctors code the visits as diagnostic evaluations. I did so and asked my veterinarian to send me an email as soon as this was faxed to Trupanion. I ACTUALLY RECEIVED TRUPANION'S DENIAL OF THE APPEAL BEFORE I RECEIVED OUR VET'S EMAIL. I called my vet to save the records and advised them to NEVER recommend Trupanion again. Trupanion took our $6000.00, but refused to pay for any diagnostic evaluations done in a doctor's office.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Scam company, avoid at all costs!! Go with Figo or Healthy Paws. Trupanion only has customers because of the free month sign up program they have in vets' offices. Well guess what, I signed up for that, sure enough my puppy needed to go to the ER 3 weeks later, I submitted the claim (mind you ONLY FOR $300) and they declined all of it! The reasons they provided were completely FALSE and fabricated dates, I had proof which I responded back with. THEY DID NOT EVEN ANSWER MY EMAIL AFTER MULTIPLE FOLLOW UP ATTEMPTS. Horrendous, horrendous experience. Stay as far away as possible.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Total rip off!! I asked for a pre-approval for some fractured teeth, waited 3 weeks only to be told they don't do CLEANINGS! If my vet had not specifically written that he had "examined" his teeth, which he had, and my vet told me my dog's needed to be cleaned but nothing more was wrong. The vet did not note the fact that he examined his teeth in his chart, as my dog was there for something else, so because the vet didn't note it, then I'm SOL with Trupanion.

I knew he needed to has his teeth cleaned but just never got it done until later when I went to a dog Dentist (who I had taken another of my dogs to previously who had some teeth issues) who said my dog had some fractures, which needed to be addressed and they are not the same thing as cleaning, so should be covered... but no. ---

"We don’t cover any dental illness or injury found on your pet's first post-enrollment exam if your pet's teeth were not examined 12 months prior to enrollment." ---- (They were examined, my regular vet always examines the teeth as a matter of routine when I bring any of my pets in, the vet just did not note in my dogs file as it was routine exam and I was there for something else.) "As this condition was found on the first post-enrollment dental examination, we can’t cover this claim. (7.A.ii) We don’t cover dental cleanings. (7.C.ii) ----(this isn't CLEANING!!)" TOTAL RIPOFF - I figured pet insurance was too good to be true. They were more than happen to take my monthly payments, but when it came to doing what they said they would do, cover my pet forget it - so I say forget it to buying worthless insurance from Trupanion!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

If I could give them 0 stars, I would. I purchased ins. for my cat in Nov. 2017. As of 1/1/2019 my premium almost doubled. Just prior to purchasing coverage she had a severe kidney issue which my vet pulled her through. Once I started filing claims however, they tied everything back to her kidney problem (even though it was no longer an issue). Once I was told that my vet couldn't prove that the issue WASN'T due to her kidneys. Sometimes they pay claims with no issues, but most of the time they are denied claiming the issue was due to kidney function, even though her kidneys are functioning perfectly.

During a routine exam last year my vet found a heart murmur. The first claim was paid. In Jan I took her in for a follow up exam (which was at no charge) and they denied the meds and test results stating that: 1) the meds and supplements she was given (which are supposed to be covered) "may help treat her chronic kidney disease" (which she does not have) and 2) the radiographs and x-rays are not labeled properly with her name so they maintain they are not for my cat. Not only was I in the room when the films were done but the lab report specifically cites tests for my cat by name.

The rules they cite in their denial, which they provided, do NOT specify that the names have to be visible, only that they have to be maintained at the vet's office. My vet has corresponded with them, I have called them repeatedly on this claim, but they still deny it. They will deny claims for any reason they can conjure up. I DO NOT recommend them. I contacting the State Board of Ins. as well as my attorney.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

We recently purchased Trupanion insurance to cover our French bulldog. We signed up on 1/4, and Trupanion sent us an email on 1/25 saying we could begin submitting claims. Our dog was neutered and has soft palate surgery on 1/29. We filed the claim and they REfUSED to accept it because they said we did not wait 30 days. Why did they send us an email to begin submitting claims on 1/25 if it was not true. This is falsely misleading us, the consumer. This company is such scam. Don’t waste your money and just find another pet insurance. Due to this incident, I’m filing a dispute/complaint with the Better Business Bureau. They should not get away with sending false and misleading information to their consumers.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

We have a 4 year old Golden Retriever-- Trupanion sounded like a good idea at first. They said as a puppy the premiums would be much lower and we would not pay the premiums ever for an older dog and that they do not increase them because of age. We have a $250 deductible and Trupanion has us on a 90/10 payment. Well, our premiums have gone from $35 month to $87 per month in that period of time. So they are saying it is not because of age but because of the cost of care which is BS. The representative tried to spin the situation that it is a good deal with unexpected costs but I feel they are just taking advantage of all of us that love our pets. I wish I would have never heard of them, and certainly going to explore other options-- wish I would have done so originally.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I had prior experience with Trupanion prior to signing up my 2 year old lab last year. They were reliable and easy to reach and had a great experience when one of my other dogs had an accident. They handled the expenses perfectly. I thought everything would run as smoothly. Unfortunately 10 months into my first year with my lab (whos in excellent condition) they surprise me with a 25.7% premium increase! I thought it must be a mistake. Poor "Customer Service" Rep couldn't say anything but their script that rates are based upon...blah, blah, blah. Not sure about the rest of the world...but not much in my area related to dog costs fluctuates 25%.

Until today, I would have rated them 5 stars. Dropped to one based upon unreasonable and ridiculous increase. Left me feeling. Did they screw up my rate for last year? Or did they screw it up this year? Or are they simply being greedy in trying to increase premiums once they have someone 'on board'. Bad business practice. Forget using them... more importantly sell their stock. TRUP (NASDAQ). It's already down 45% in the last 6months.

Trupanion expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Trupanion is a pet medical insurance company founded by CEO Darryl Rawlings. The company is a founding member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA) and has been publicly traded since July of 2014.

• Dog and cat coverage: With Trupanion, pet owners can get pet medical insurance for both dogs and their cats.

• 90% coverage: The company offers pet owners 90% coverage of actual veterinary costs for all approved pet accidents and illnesses.

• Unlimited lifetime coverage: Trupanion has no limit on the number of accidents, illnesses or years a pet can be covered for.

• Educational information: The company offers pet owners educational information via its website and print materials, which helps give tips for health, nutrition and warning signs for illness.

• Community focused: In addition to providing pet insurance, the company also contributes a lot to community organizations, contributing more than $200,000 to animal welfare programs across the country.

• Best for: Pet owners with dogs and cats, new pet owners and pet owners with rambunctious pets.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky