2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.86/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of customers’ vet bills for their dogs and cats, with no maximum payout limits. It sets lifetime deductibles for every condition, so there is no need to reach a new deductible every year for long-term conditions. Trupanion also pays veterinarians directly, simplifying the process for consumers. Though many consumers are unhappy with their high premiums, the broad coverage justifies the cost for many pet owners.

BOTTOM LINE

Trupanion pet insurance offers deductibles based on individual conditions, along with customizable coverage and a variety of deductible options.

PROS

• Direct payment to veterinarians
    • 90% coverage
    • No payout limits

CONS

• High premiums

Top Trupanion Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Trupanion was a lifesaver. When both my dogs had serious medical issues at the same time, I had $10,000 in vet bills. Trupanion paid most of it. I was able to take care of them without worrying about running up the credit card. Pre-existing conditions aren't covered, so sign up before you have any!

My dog was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor and needed surgery and further treatment... I submitted my 1st claim and within 2 weeks I got reimbursed for 90% minus my deductible in 3 days. Trupanion is a great company. Such a peace of mind knowing your little babies are covered.

Unsubscribe at any time.

What is Trupanion?

Trupanion offers both dog insurance and cat insurance. With Trupanion, all customers receive one simple plan that makes clear what’s covered and what’s not.

Trupanion plans cover all unexpected injuries and illnesses, reimbursing customers for 90% of their vet bills without payout limits once they’ve met their deductibles. Trupanion’s customer service team also lessens billing hassles by paying veterinarians directly. Once you’ve enrolled, Trupanion’s waiting period for injury coverage is five days, which is shorter than the industry standard of 14 days. However, the waiting period before it covers treating any illnesses is 30 days.

Trupanion pet insurance plans

Trupanion pet health insurance offers just one type of plan, although it’s applicable to both cats and dogs. Trupanion’s pet insurance plan is more expensive than many of its competitors', but the plan is comprehensive and rates are fixed for the entire length of the policy. With Trupanion’s lifetime, per-condition deductible, customers save more in the long run for chronic conditions, too.

What does Trupanion cover?

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of the cost to treat any new illness or condition that your pet experiences during the policy’s term. Trupanion’s preexisting conditions policy is similar to other companies’, meaning it does not cover any illness, injury or condition that your pet had before enrollment. You have to wait at least five days to get coverage for injury treatment and 30 days for illness care.

The company covers 90% of the cost of hereditary diseases, unidentified issues and congenital illnesses that are not preexisting conditions. This includes health problems that many other providers don’t cover, including:

• Hip dysplasia
        • Vitamins and supplements
        • Dental illness
        • Orthopedic issues

How much does Trupanion pet insurance cost?

Trupanion dog insurance costs between $36 and $100 per month for most breeds, and Trupanion cat insurance costs between $23 and $57 per month. With Trupanion, pet owners can customize their coverage with a deductible up to $1,000, along with coverage enhancements, such as recovery care and pet owner assistance. Coverage enhancements add a few dollars to your premium every month.

Trupanion pet insurance plans include lifetime, per-condition deductibles instead of annual deductibles, meaning customers don’t have to keep paying year after year for a chronic condition. Once you’ve met the deductible for your pet’s condition, you’ll never have to pay the deductible again to treat it.

Trupanion does not offer a discount for multiple pets, but it does have a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied.

Trupanion FAQ

Does Trupanion cover cancer?
        Trupanion animal insurance does cover cancer as long as it was not diagnosed before the beginning of the policy or within the waiting period.
        Does Trupanion cover vaccinations?
        No, Trupanion’s pet health insurance plan does not cover vaccinations. It only covers unexpected expenses, which don’t include wellness care, like vaccinations or preventive medications.
        How long does it take to complete a claim with Trupanion pet insurance?
        While Trupanion doesn’t say how long its claim process lasts, many reviewers who pay at the time of visit mention getting reimbursed within two weeks.
        Does Trupanion cover blood work?
        It depends. If the blood work is routine, Trupanion pet insurance does not cover it. However, if it’s unexpected, it is covered.
        Does Trupanion cover neutering?
        Like most pet insurance companies, Trupanion does not cover the cost of neutering.

Is Trupanion worth it?

Trupanion is a pet insurance company offering a wide variety of coverage and convenience benefits. Trupanion pays 90% of your vet bills with no maximum limit, and it doesn’t raise annual rates. To save you money, the company also sets lifetime, per-condition deductibles and cuts out the middleman by paying veterinarians directly. However, Trupanion’s monthly premiums are still pricier than its competitors', so this company is best for customers who want more coverage and benefits and are willing to pay for it.

Trupanion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

My experience with Trupanion has-been mostly positive. With my plan, Trupanion covers 90% of the cost for most vet visits-- but they do not cover testing fees or exam fees, which can be very expensive when trying to diagnose and properly treat your pet. My monthly premium is ~$18, which I feel is a fair price for 90% coverage on most expenses. The claims process is a piece of cake, too, which takes the headache out of filing a claim. You're done in a matter of seconds.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

My new puppy had a foxtail up his nose, and had to have an emergency rhinoscopy. He could not stop sneezing. I called Trupanion after I dropped him off at the Vet. They were kind and efficient. They paid my Vet directly before I picked him up the same day! It could not have been easier, transparent or straightforward. I had my insurance less than a month with no waiting period. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND to anyone with a pet. I could not be happier.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
          Original review: March 27, 2020

We—and our little Cavalier Spaniels—have been with Trupanion for over a decade, after spending countless hours researching pet insurance options and providers. Trupanion made it possible for us to pursue cancer treatment for our sweet girl, Molly, and give her another 2 healthy, happy years after her initial diagnosis. Trupanion also supported her eye care and medications for many years. Over the course of her life, we submitted well over 100 claims, and never—not a single time—did we have any trouble with the claims process, have to fight for a claim, or file an appeal. The claims process is extremely simple and takes less than 2 minutes to complete, and the money is in our account within just a few days.

While the premiums for Trupanion are more expensive than some other pet insurance products, the coverage is far more comprehensive. Trupanion paid out well over $150,000 in claims over the course of our little Molly’s life- and we never had to fight for a single claim. Not once. Trupanion covered every single treatment, test, and medication her doctors recommended, without any fight on our part.

Not only does Trupanion have a superior product, with excellent coverage, and a quick and easy claims process, but the customer service at Trupanion far exceeds that I’ve experienced with any other company in any industry. The Trupanion staff go out of their way to in being caring and empathetic during hard times. When our sweet Molly was diagnosed with cancer, I was terrified we weren’t going to be able to afford the treatment recommended by our vet. When I called Trupanion with questions about coverage, not only did they clearly explain the coverage available to us, but the customer service staff were so kind and understanding and so empathetic for what our family was going through.

I only wish that humans had access to the kind of excellent, comprehensive coverage, hassle-free claims process, and truly compassionate customer service in our insurance as our sweet pups have in Trupanion. Without Trupanion, we would not have been able to provide such a long, healthy, and happy life for our sweet girl. We are so truly and forever grateful to be with Trupanion!

Original review: March 1, 2020

I reasearched several Pet insurance companies before I got my puppy. Trupanion by far is the best coverage, with no lifetime limits per condition. A few months after getting my lab, I noticed him limping, after an X-ray and physical exam (which I was well aware the insurance wouldn’t cover the exam fee as I had read the fine print) it was determined that he had a partial tear in his cranial crucial ligament. He now goes for rehab (laser treatments, acupuncture, and hydrotherapy) 2-3 times per month and has been on Chinese herbal medicine and I’ve not once ever had an issue with payment or approval.

I submit my invoice after leaving the vet, and I have the money deposited back into my account within 3 days. I see so many reviews on here about people complaining that they don’t cover the exam fee or tax and a few other things, and all I can say is like anything, read the clauses and fine print, and you won’t have any surprises! Thank you Trupanion for making it possible to keep my baby happy, healthy, and pain free.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

We got the insurance for 2 pets 6 years ago...one being 7 and the other about 8 weeks at the time. The younger one was very sick for 2 years and needed really expensive food. That allowance runs out after 2 months. He eventually got well and has needed little care since. The older one developed Cushing's...for which twice annual testing and monthly medication was very expensive. We got our premiums back big time on her. Trupanion even sent a sympathy card to us when she died 3 weeks ago. They pay promptly and are very easy to work with. But no exams and no routine care are covered. Premiums for my old girl were at $96/mo which I did not think unreasonable for a 13 year old. It's like all insurance. You are paying the premium in case you need it. One ACL repair on our girl was $2100, we paid $100 deductible for new diagnosis, then they covered 90%.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Every year my rates go up. In 6 years my rates went up $26 a month and I had to higher my deductible if not it would have gone up a lot more. I’m paying $57 a month for my 6-year-old dog with a $500 deductible.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I pay nearly $30-month and the one time I called about an issue, I received the “that’s not covered” spiel. It seems far overpriced for limited services. I have a breed with potential health issues so I spend quite a bit on special food and keep him fit and vaccinated. I don’t feel secure with this company since I am a very dedicated owner with experience showing dogs, yet there seems to be fine print in the contract.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

When my dog needed medical care in several instances, they paid the claim without argument or procrastinating. Pet health insurance is priceless as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to be in a position where I have to choose between my dog's life and money. I tried the reimbursable pet insurances and had really bad service.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

Very friendly. Nice staff. Helpful. Would buy again for my Newfoundland dog. They have helped us with his care for 7 years so far! They are different as they insure by medical problems. Call them to obtain the information for your pet. You will be glad you did.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

They would not cover my dog for any dental because there was very mild tarter on 2 teeth which the vet said can easily be taken care of my brushing. My dog’s teeth are perfect. I had vet, vet dentist, and a friend that is in oral surgery look at it and all said the dog had excellent teeth. No inflamed gums, no bleeding, teeth are white, no cracks or broken teeth. I tried to tell Trupanion I would get X ray done of dog’s mouth to confirm no dental disease and take a picture of dog's mouth. They refused and said because it was noted by vet 2 teeth had very mild tartar there will be no coverage.

This company is a sham and what they are doing is illegal. That’s why they have been fined multiple times. Even had to pay hundreds of thousands in penalties. They sales reps sound nice and caring on the phone, but they are just truly well trained sales people that don’t care about your dog. Stay far away! They wouldn’t even give me my money back when I spent more in health care for my dogs than myself monthly and never used the insurance because they hadn’t told me up front what was covered and what wasn’t. It took them 4 months to send me the documents of coverage summaries for my pets and They just have a come back saying that insurance is preventative and it’s good I don’t need the insurance. Again, just a Bad sales pitch. Lol I will be contacting a lawyer to get my thousands back.

Trupanion Company Information