2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

3.7/5 (270 ratings)

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

About Trupanion

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of customers’ vet bills for their dogs and cats, with no maximum payout limits. It sets lifetime deductibles for every condition, so there is no need to reach a new deductible every year for long-term conditions. Trupanion also pays veterinarians directly, simplifying the process for consumers. Though many consumers are unhappy with their high premiums, the broad coverage justifies the cost for many pet owners.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Direct payment to veterinarians
    • 90% coverage
    • No payout limits

Cons

• High premiums

Bottom Line

Trupanion pet insurance offers deductibles based on individual conditions, along with customizable coverage and a variety of deductible options.

Top Trupanion Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Trupanion was a lifesaver. When both my dogs had serious medical issues at the same time, I had $10,000 in vet bills. Trupanion paid most of it. I was able to take care of them wi...

Verified

My dog was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor and needed surgery and further treatment... I submitted my 1st claim and within 2 weeks I got reimbursed for 90% minus my deductible in...

What is Trupanion?

Trupanion offers both dog insurance and cat insurance. With Trupanion, all customers receive one simple plan that makes clear what’s covered and what’s not.

Trupanion plans cover all unexpected injuries and illnesses, reimbursing customers for 90% of their vet bills without payout limits once they’ve met their deductibles. Trupanion’s customer service team also lessens billing hassles by paying veterinarians directly. Once you’ve enrolled, Trupanion’s waiting period for injury coverage is five days, which is shorter than the industry standard of 14 days. However, the waiting period before it covers treating any illnesses is 30 days.

Trupanion pet insurance plans

Trupanion pet health insurance offers just one type of plan, although it’s applicable to both cats and dogs. Trupanion’s pet insurance plan is more expensive than many of its competitors', but the plan is comprehensive and rates are fixed for the entire length of the policy. With Trupanion’s lifetime, per-condition deductible, customers save more in the long run for chronic conditions, too.

What does Trupanion cover?

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of the cost to treat any new illness or condition that your pet experiences during the policy’s term. Trupanion’s preexisting conditions policy is similar to other companies’, meaning it does not cover any illness, injury or condition that your pet had before enrollment. You have to wait at least five days to get coverage for injury treatment and 30 days for illness care.

The company covers 90% of the cost of hereditary diseases, unidentified issues and congenital illnesses that are not preexisting conditions. This includes health problems that many other providers don’t cover, including:

• Hip dysplasia
    • Vitamins and supplements
    • Dental illness
    • Orthopedic issues

How much does Trupanion pet insurance cost?

Trupanion dog insurance costs between $36 and $100 per month for most breeds, and Trupanion cat insurance costs between $23 and $57 per month. With Trupanion, pet owners can customize their coverage with a deductible up to $1,000, along with coverage enhancements, such as recovery care and pet owner assistance. Coverage enhancements add a few dollars to your premium every month.

Trupanion pet insurance plans include lifetime, per-condition deductibles instead of annual deductibles, meaning customers don’t have to keep paying year after year for a chronic condition. Once you’ve met the deductible for your pet’s condition, you’ll never have to pay the deductible again to treat it.

Trupanion does not offer a discount for multiple pets, but it does have a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied.

Trupanion FAQ

Does Trupanion cover cancer?
    Trupanion animal insurance does cover cancer as long as it was not diagnosed before the beginning of the policy or within the waiting period.
    Does Trupanion cover vaccinations?
    No, Trupanion’s pet health insurance plan does not cover vaccinations. It only covers unexpected expenses, which don’t include wellness care, like vaccinations or preventive medications.
    How long does it take to complete a claim with Trupanion pet insurance?
    While Trupanion doesn’t say how long its claim process lasts, many reviewers who pay at the time of visit mention getting reimbursed within two weeks.
    Does Trupanion cover blood work?
    It depends. If the blood work is routine, Trupanion pet insurance does not cover it. However, if it’s unexpected, it is covered.
    Does Trupanion cover neutering?
    Like most pet insurance companies, Trupanion does not cover the cost of neutering.

Is Trupanion worth it?

Trupanion is a pet insurance company offering a wide variety of coverage and convenience benefits. Trupanion pays 90% of your vet bills with no maximum limit, and it doesn’t raise annual rates. To save you money, the company also sets lifetime, per-condition deductibles and cuts out the middleman by paying veterinarians directly. However, Trupanion’s monthly premiums are still pricier than its competitors', so this company is best for customers who want more coverage and benefits and are willing to pay for it.

Trupanion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

This review should be enough to keep anyone from trusting these crooks. I've been a Trupanion customer for about five years. During this time, my two cats both developed new issues that Trupanion was happy to cover, and this was after they did a full comprehensive medical review on both the animals. This past month Trupanion made rule changes to their policy that now states they are reclassifying this condition as a pre-existing condition for these cats. Not because they discovered new information about my cats, and not because of any error of my own. Basically they were saying that if I tried to get insurance for the cats in 2016 again, their new policy would have identified them as having a pre-existing condition. But it's not 2016, it is 2021. Now that we are several years into the agreement, they are saying the new condition that appeared during these years is actually a pre-existing condition now.

And if they do this once, what's to say they won't do it again? I understand they may want to change their terms, but my pets should have been grandfathered in. And I've talked spoke with their customer rep and they agreed it was basically, yeah, kind of a crappy thing they did, but oh well, nothing to do about it. I'm dipping out of Trupanion. Their rates are already too high for what they cover (you can get the same stuff for cheaper from Pets Best + extra options). Obviously the new insurance I get will classify my cats' condition as pre-existing, but I'd rather find an honest company than one that will stab me in the back later.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

Trupanion is not cost effective when you’ve got a large group of pets, especially when you factor in wellness checkups, dentals, bloodwork, etc. If you have a lot of rescues, like I do, steer clear. My policy costs continue to rise every year and I’ve used them for two emergencies over the course of the last 6 years. I’ve had to raise my deductible to keep my policies somewhat affordable. They say they don’t raise your policy based on age, but they raise your policy costs in other ways, so it comes out to be the same as if the policy increased due to your pet’s age. Especially now with the pandemic, with people not making as much as before, or even having a job at all, it’s difficult trying to cover your pet if something happens… and you don’t know so you continue paying the increasing policy costs.

I don’t understand why there aren’t more insurance companies, doctors and veterinarians, who would take these things into consideration. I wish they covered more with their policies, but to me, they are just another insurance company, nothing special. If you have a sickly pet, this company is for you, but if you have a large 4 legged family, as I do, steer clear.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

I've written less than 2 negative reviews in my life. Here is my second. Their entire business model is a scam. I learned the hard way that their deductible limit is PER INCIDENT, and is not annual (like every other health insurance company out there for humans and pets). Honestly I don't even know how this is legal. They tout that they will cover a new condition for life once you meet your deductible for that specific incident/condition, but think about it... How many of you when your dogs are young or aged 1-5 will develop a chronic condition?? How easy will it be for them to dodge coverage claiming your vet visits are all unique incidents? And for those with older pets, remember, these pet insurance companies won’t cover pre-existing conditions! What a perfect business model for profits!

My experience with them has been horrendous as I'm paying an absurd monthly premium for a high deductible plan. Whereas, with literally every other pet insurance company I've been quoted for rates less than my current monthly premium, a much lower ANNUAL deductible that IS NOT PER INCIDENT, and 90% coverage. To get the same with Trupanion would have my monthly premium near the 3-digit range FOR A PUPPY. Good grief.

My puppy has gotten himself into trouble over the last year+ as he is very energetic, playful, and curious and I'm out thousands due to the handful of vet visits I've needed. And guess what, Trupanion hasn't covered anything. Why? Because none of the unique vet visits have exceeded my deductible. It literally resets every time. If you think about it..... You can visit the vet over a dozen times for various reasons and Trupanion doesn't have to cover anything if you don't meet your deductible for that specific incident/condition. They just sit back and collect the dough. Steer well clear of this company and their slimy business model. It is structured this way to ensure and maximize profits at the expense of actually doing what they exist to do.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

I am extremely disappointed with Trupanion. Not only do they aggressively hike up monthly coverage costs (I am now paying well over $200 per dog, per month), they have an extremely liberal interpretation of "pre-existing condition." The way their claims adjusters justify denial of claims would not be supported by anyone with a reasonable sense of cause and effect. One of my dogs had a UTI, and they denied coverage because 3 years earlier she also had a UTI. What kind of reasoning is that? I wish I had not paid so much money to them over the years. I am actively researching alternatives.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

This company will find any reason to not approve your claims. After reading the other reviews, I see that my experience is normal business practice for these crooks. My 3 year old pug had an allergy issue that was mentioned ONE time in his history and now every claim we do is blamed on allergies. He had an ear infection. Denied. Reason? Allergies. He had a small growth on his skin. Denied. Reason? Allergies. The procedure to burn it off? Denied. Reason? Other (guess they couldn’t find a reason to deny that one, didn't stop them though). Do not spend your money here. Find another insurance company because Trupanion will have you paying a ton in premiums to cover ZERO.

Original review: July 27, 2021

On their website Trupanion claims that they will pay 50% for prescription pet food. The two times I got prescription pet food for my vet they did not pay 50%. They get around this by their policy of paying 90% payout for claims. They claim this applies to the prescription pet food and they end up paying 90% of their 50% share. That is not right. Since they say they pay 50% they should pay 50%. 50% means 50% of the total bill, not 90% of their 50% share. This is deceptive advertising.

Original review: July 14, 2021

Trupanion will deny your claims and rip you off. I bought the insurance for my dog Bruce when I got him. It turns out that he had aggression and behavior issues. Lucky for me that Trupanion covers that! Only they didn’t. They repeatedly denied claims. I was told that I need to get approval for a vet for Bruce to receive behavior modification training, which I did. They denied the claim and told me that he had to be under the direct supervision of behavior modification licensed vet. That service does not exist in Austin or anywhere nearby. Terrible service. They will take your money and do everything in their power not to pay out a claim. Run away from this company! Set aside the money yourself…. That is far more useful than this service.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I had just adopted a 1 yr old cat. I signed up for Trupanion. I was on the plan for 15 days when she started limping and not using her paw. I took her in, and they said it looked like some kind of chemical burn or something. They took out a little piece of sticky gooey substance that was stuck in her inner paw between her toes. They put it down as inflamed pododermatitis. The vet said that whatever it was caused it to inflame. It was not a pre existing condition. The vet called them to explain this, and all they said to me was from their notes, the vet agreed with them. I had just spoken with the vet earlier and they did not say that. On top of that, it took them 2 months to get papers from the vet only… Ridiculous. They keep saying it's within the waiting period…. 30 days.. But it was not an illness or pre existing, so the waiting period is 5 days… I had 15 days in.

Original review: June 5, 2021

I have paid then over $159 a month for 7 years. I added a rider last year for my 13 year old golden for acupuncture. I felt he may be in pain but not sure. I did not use the rider for 6 months. Started acupuncture and out in claims and they rejected them saying it was pre existing since he was on a prescribed anti-inflammatory. These people are horrible. I switched my other two Goldens over to Lemonade which has been amazing!! Stay away from Trupanion.

Original review: May 25, 2021

I’m aware of the 30 day waiting period but the pre existing condition is bull. Even that 30 day period is unacceptable. They say they care about pets, they don’t. They care about money and profit. Why would I pay the monthly premium and activation fee if my dog isn’t even covered for 30 days for illnesses? Why would a trip to emergency not be covered? It’s hogwash. Stay far away - not worth the monthly premium for regular trips to vet and even some emergencies! Highly suggest opening up a savings account for your pet and putting money in there monthly rather than in pockets of these shameless insurance companies.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Pet Insurance partner.

Trupanion Company Information