2. Pets

Trupanion Reviews

Trupanion
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.51/5

Trupanion Reviews

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

We got the insurance for 2 pets 6 years ago...one being 7 and the other about 8 weeks at the time. The younger one was very sick for 2 years and needed really expensive food. That allowance runs out after 2 months. He eventually got well and has needed little care since. The older one developed Cushing's...for which twice annual testing and monthly medication was very expensive. We got our premiums back big time on her. Trupanion even sent a sympathy card to us when she died 3 weeks ago. They pay promptly and are very easy to work with. But no exams and no routine care are covered. Premiums for my old girl were at $96/mo which I did not think unreasonable for a 13 year old. It's like all insurance. You are paying the premium in case you need it. One ACL repair on our girl was $2100, we paid $100 deductible for new diagnosis, then they covered 90%.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I have had Trupanion for my Pomeranian for 6 years. This insurance has been awesome and has more than paid for itself in the last 2 years alone. I don’t understand the negative reviews. Yes the premiums go up every year but so did all the other pet insurance companies. If your pet isn’t enrolled in Vet pay, you will receive reimbursement for your claims within 3 days. They have NEVER denied any of our claims and we have had many in just the last 2 years. Probably more than most claims in 2 years than most people have in the lifetime of their pet. I am so thankful we have Trupanion for our fur baby.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2019

My dog was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor and needed surgery and further treatment. I was reluctant since this was my 1st claim and didn’t know what to expect. All I can tell you is wow I submitted my 1st claim and within 2 weeks I got reimbursed for 90% - my deductible, after that it was 3 days. Trupanion is a great company. I will recommend them to family and friends. Such a peace of mind knowing your little babies are covered. Thanks Trupanion!!!

Original review: April 11, 2019

For over 12 years Trupanion Canada has been by my side through anything my dog had to go through. Reimbursements were in my account within 2 weeks of submitting and I never had a problem with my claims. After her passing, Trupanion was still there to help and I even got a handwritten sympathy card from them. I strongly recommend going with Trupanion. Thank you Trupanion.

Original review: March 25, 2019

We have had Trupanion for both our dog (8 years) and our cat (5 years). In January, our cat became severely ill, and a referral was made by our local vet to a specialty clinic. He was in Critical Care there for 5 days, had numerous ultrasounds, lab tests, a blood transfusion, a bone marrow biopsy, and had to have a feeding tube inserted. Yesterday, we had to take him back in for an infection at the feeding tube site. To date, Trupanion has been nothing but great! We have the 90/10 plan with a $100 deductible. Our bills to date have totaled almost $17K and Trupanion has paid 90% of those bills, excluding exams (yes, even including the ICU exams) and state taxes. We will have a big decision to make in the next day or so, but at least cost consideration will not have to play a role in whether to euthanize or not.

People complain about the cost. Yes, it's high (we pay $113/month for both our pets). No, they don't cover exams (which I wish they did, especially in emergency situations). No, they don't pay for preventive care (but our local vet offers those types of plans, so maybe people should check with their vets & see if such plans are available). But when the chips are down, they came through with prompt payment and kindness in dealing with us. I see a lot of bad reviews here, but I have to admit that I simply don't get it. If you have something catastrophic happen like we've had happen, you realize how worth it the insurance is.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Like many retrievers, my dog appears to be predisposed to nasal infections associated with swimming. My vet treated the first infection with antibiotics and symptoms disappeared, so one could assume it was cured. Soon after I got Trupanion coverage. Many months later my dog went swimming again and got another nasal infection that required sedation and irrigation to treat. Trupanion decided this infection was pre-existing and denied the claim. My dog is predisposed to nasal infections... some dogs are, but it appears Trupanion will never cover a condition that is predisposed. Apparently, because "once a nasal infection, always a nasal infection." What's the point of having insurance? After my deductible, I think it would have cost them something like $40. I dumped the policy.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I put in a claim almost 2 months ago for a condition my dog has never shows signs of. I reached out twice and was told to be patient and that they had all the information they needed. After 6 weeks they emailed that they were closing my claim due to lack of information. This was the first time they contacted me. I called immediately and the girl on the phone said they needed more records. She could not tell me what was not missing and then asked when my dog was fixed. I spoke to another person and they said again that they had all the information they needed.

I decided to login to my account and it shows that my claim in ineligible. THEY NEVER REACHED OUT TO ME OR MY VET! Now I have to appeal because there was a very general statement made on his visit 2 years ago. I was trying to get vet bills from a fall/trauma covered. Not sure why they would consider this a pre existing condition. Now I have to spend more time putting in an appeal. The one thing I can say is that the Customer Service reps I have spoken to on the phone have been pleasant other than 1 time. Save your time and money and find a better company!!!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

My experience: Trupanion denied my dog's claim for dental surgery due to a single note of "mild calculus" prior to coverage. But there is no mention in the policy of "calculus," including no mention of it in the exclusion clause. Trupanion relies on an exclusion clause that includes a list of conditions - none of which appear in my dog's records (except "gingivitis" which is specifically ruled out in the records.) Even IF calculus were a condition justifying exclusion, there is no evidence that the extracted tooth had calculus (or any other condition listed in the exclusion clause.) I asked Trupanion - twice - whether there is any factual basis to support a claim that my dog's extracted tooth had calculus, or any of the conditions listed in the exclusion. Trupanion ignored this inquiry both times. It is painfully clear to me that Trupanion goes to extreme lengths to deny coverage.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

This company is the biggest scam. They go out of their way to deny any claims. They make you jump through multiple hoops to get any claims processed, only to find some excuse to ultimately deny the claim. Don't bother with this company.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I got Trupanion at a high premium rate initially and then asked for a lower coverage rate to reduce my premium. The phone service rep did not complete this request and continued to charge me at the higher rate. I called again requesting this change again and was told I would be reimbursed back to the original change request date. Then my dog was injured and I filed a claim, looking online at the premium charges at the higher rate. I was issued a claim check by Trupanion, on which they did a stop payment, causing a bank fee to me even when I paid the higher premium. I called to inquire and was told that my claim was not reimbursable and that I would be reimbursed for the premium over payment, which I have still not received. Poor accounting, poor customer service.

Not sure about Trupanion?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Pet Insurance for you.

Trupanion expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Trupanion is a pet medical insurance company founded by CEO Darryl Rawlings. The company is a founding member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA) and has been publicly traded since July of 2014.

• Dog and cat coverage: With Trupanion, pet owners can get pet medical insurance for both dogs and their cats.

• 90% coverage: The company offers pet owners 90% coverage of actual veterinary costs for all approved pet accidents and illnesses.

• Unlimited lifetime coverage: Trupanion has no limit on the number of accidents, illnesses or years a pet can be covered for.

• Educational information: The company offers pet owners educational information via its website and print materials, which helps give tips for health, nutrition and warning signs for illness.

• Community focused: In addition to providing pet insurance, the company also contributes a lot to community organizations, contributing more than $200,000 to animal welfare programs across the country.

• Best for: Pet owners with dogs and cats, new pet owners and pet owners with rambunctious pets.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor