Trupanion
3.08/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

Trupanion Reviews

Need a pet insurance provider?

168 Trupanion Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 16, 2019

I have had Trupanion for my Pomeranian for 6 years. This insurance has been awesome and has more than paid for itself in the last 2 years alone. I don’t understand the negative reviews. Yes the premiums go up every year but so did all the other pet insurance companies. If your pet isn’t enrolled in Vet pay, you will receive reimbursement for your claims within 3 days. They have NEVER denied any of our claims and we have had many in just the last 2 years. Probably more than most claims in 2 years than most people have in the lifetime of their pet. I am so thankful we have Trupanion for our fur baby.

Original review: June 13, 2019

My dog was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor and needed surgery and further treatment. I was reluctant since this was my 1st claim and didn’t know what to expect. All I can tell you is wow I submitted my 1st claim and within 2 weeks I got reimbursed for 90% - my deductible, after that it was 3 days. Trupanion is a great company. I will recommend them to family and friends. Such a peace of mind knowing your little babies are covered. Thanks Trupanion!!!

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 25, 2019

We have had Trupanion for both our dog (8 years) and our cat (5 years). In January, our cat became severely ill, and a referral was made by our local vet to a specialty clinic. He was in Critical Care there for 5 days, had numerous ultrasounds, lab tests, a blood transfusion, a bone marrow biopsy, and had to have a feeding tube inserted. Yesterday, we had to take him back in for an infection at the feeding tube site. To date, Trupanion has been nothing but great! We have the 90/10 plan with a $100 deductible. Our bills to date have totaled almost $17K and Trupanion has paid 90% of those bills, excluding exams (yes, even including the ICU exams) and state taxes. We will have a big decision to make in the next day or so, but at least cost consideration will not have to play a role in whether to euthanize or not.

People complain about the cost. Yes, it's high (we pay $113/month for both our pets). No, they don't cover exams (which I wish they did, especially in emergency situations). No, they don't pay for preventive care (but our local vet offers those types of plans, so maybe people should check with their vets & see if such plans are available). But when the chips are down, they came through with prompt payment and kindness in dealing with us. I see a lot of bad reviews here, but I have to admit that I simply don't get it. If you have something catastrophic happen like we've had happen, you realize how worth it the insurance is.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Trupanion was there for my dog from the start. Unfortunately, my dog developed severe allergies at the very young age of 1 years old. After meeting my deductible, Trupanion paid 90% (minus the exam fees, which I knew wasn't covered) of ALL cost associated with his condition for the next 4 years. These cost included treatment by family vet as well as allergy specialists, ALL treatments, ALL medications, ALL Skin shampoos, ALL testing, ALL hospital stays. I couldn't have given my dog the care he had if it wasn't for Trupanion. I am truly appreciative of the service they provided from the wonderful customer representatives to the payout of claims. I have a peace of mind knowing that if my other dog should ever have the need for treatment of any kind, Trupanion will be there for me and him.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

We've called Trupanion customer service numerous times and have always been delighted with their responses. Outstanding customer service representatives who are knowledgeable, helpful and caring! One of the best companies out there in our opinion! Have always treated us with utmost respect and always solved any issues we've come across! Highly recommend Trupanion insurance. They're a caring company and we've always had an all-around great experience dealing with them! Highly recommend for your pet insurance needs!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

They will take your money and not cover your pets issue. Customer service is no help and just gives you the runaround about your policy. They will charge you before you even use their service. Awful company, DO NOT USE!!!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I feel like this was a "bait and switch". I feel deceived by the sign up process. I was told one thing when on the call asking about signing up and in the solicitation email, then another after the fact. They use a very promising short form for the contract that makes you think this is the coverage and it's complete and simple, when, in fact, there's a longer contract (which they send you AFTER you've signed up so that you probably don't think to read it, since you've already signed up and paid and think you know what you've gotten!).

Additionally, if you do have a claim or a problem it seems as if there is a policy of placating clients with kind words but doing nothing. It seems many of the below reviewers have had similar experiences. In my case, the "doing nothing" went so far as to not only deny 100% of my claims in with lightning speed, but also to deny me access to the person making the decisions (if indeed there was a person -- it may just be a policy script and my issue may never have been escalated as they said it was.) They did not provide information I requested (like who denied this). They did not provide contact information such as email or phone for the department they claimed made the decisions. In fact, they went so far as to say that their legal department has no phone numbers or external email communication ability. Hmmm.

So, I had every claim denied and was not allowed to reach anyone directly. Think about that: It's a complete shut out. That sure sounds like this is policy, not just a bad experience by 1 client. The only reason I had contact with anyone at Trupanion was because they had a person writing me to claim that I wasn't sending in my dogs old medical records (which they then apologized for and acknowledged receiving way back when they asked for them -- I see this is a recurring problem from the below reviews).

After analyzing more critically how their policy is worded, I see that it's quite clever. Unless they voluntarily act in good faith, they have a policy that is worded such that almost every possible claim can be either denied or placed under the deductible amount (I'm referring to dogs signed up later in life, not as puppies). They cherry pick data from your dog's past (one example: My vet, 1 year prior, at a normal exam, pressed on my dog's throat to make her cough. She did that, and therefore A YEAR later when she had an actual cough and I took her in for a diagnostic - they denied the claim because she had a "pre-existing condition" having been made to cough once before. They also chose to ignore the vet notes, on the same line, that this cough had started days before and was something new). This is so blatant I hardly know what to say.

As a result of my experience with them, I started looking at Trupanion's history and see there's a recent history of practices that can be described as deceptive: namely they agreed only a few weeks ago to be fined over $100,000 (they signed a consent order in Washington State end of June 2019) for a variety of violations that don't speak well of their forthrightness. In addition there is a recent BBB, NAD report that states they made misleading claims about a competitor and as a result they agreed to change those representations. I will be proceeding with further research and with the appropriate state agencies and insurance regulatory agencies to see if these are the only two complaints and to find out what I can do too since Trupanion will do nothing, not even provide the name of the person who denied my request nor engage in any sort of negotiation, good faith or otherwise.

I hope that if there are other cases or complaints that people will share this information. I had hoped it was an aberration but I'm worried it's their method of doing business and that's just wrong. I would hate to see this happen to others. It was devastating for me to lose my dog and feel that I'd been conned, all at the same time.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

My pet had an extraction and dental cleaning on July 9th, today is August 8th and I finally received an email that they were paying nothing toward my claim. They paid a dental extraction claim for my dog in 2014, but have apparently made a change to the policy after 2017. I called in before the surgery and was told any extractions were covered, but not the cleaning portion. I guess the person on the phone was not aware that extractions were no longer covered. I feel all policy changes should be grandfathered for people who hold policies prior to the policy change. I guess I have a $932 bill to pay 100%☹. I have decided to cancel my policy, I have no faith or trust in this company.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

Well, I've been a Trupanion client since my beagle was 2 years old; she's almost 11 now. Of course the premium increases every year, she's getting older! My gripe with the is company now is their claims paying process: kind of a joke! I submitted invoices for a Vet visit because my dog had been quite ill. A month later I called Trupanion to follow up since I hadn't heard anything. I was told that they were behind due to the July 4th holiday but my claim should be processed in a couple of days. A week later I called back and got the same excuse! Mind you the holiday was a month ago and it was one day! Their lousy claims paying procedures seems to be a common theme with this company. They seem to be fairly good otherwise. I hope things improve because I'm ready to switch and for the record, I'm an insurance broker!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

BEWARE of the this company. They used to have a great reputation, but things have changed dramatically for the worse over the years. They do whatever they can to make leaping ties to pre-existing conditions so they don't have to cover any claims. Unless you have a puppy that has zero known health issues, you're better off setting aside the money you'd pay each month to Trupanion for vet bills and/or an emergency account. I've now spent $3,000 with them over the years, have submitted at least 15 claims, and they've covered one of them. An example of one of the claims they rejected was when my dog injured her ear (an acute physical injury) and they refused to cover the cost of treatment because she had an ear infection 4 years prior. It's ridiculous and infuriating. The only good that can come out of my situation is if someone else is able to benefit from it. I've heard good things about Healthy Paws. Good luck!

Trupanion expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Trupanion is a pet medical insurance company founded by CEO Darryl Rawlings. The company is a founding member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA) and has been publicly traded since July of 2014.

• Dog and cat coverage: With Trupanion, pet owners can get pet medical insurance for both dogs and their cats.

• 90% coverage: The company offers pet owners 90% coverage of actual veterinary costs for all approved pet accidents and illnesses.

• Unlimited lifetime coverage: Trupanion has no limit on the number of accidents, illnesses or years a pet can be covered for.

• Educational information: The company offers pet owners educational information via its website and print materials, which helps give tips for health, nutrition and warning signs for illness.

• Community focused: In addition to providing pet insurance, the company also contributes a lot to community organizations, contributing more than $200,000 to animal welfare programs across the country.

• Best for: Pet owners with dogs and cats, new pet owners and pet owners with rambunctious pets.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky