Trupanion

Compare Pet Insurance Providers

Research top Pet Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I've never been so absolutely disgusted with a company more than Trupanion. After paying through the nose for years, they decided to deny my claims for my dog's allergies. Years and years of bilking me because I put 3 pets on the policy and because my dog was diagnosed with a skin allergy for the first time ever THIS YEAR (2016). Had policy since 2011. They are saying he has a Pre Existing condition. They said his ear infections all 4 since 2009... that's all... for a dog... are considered "allergies" as well. Meanwhile they've been cleaning out my account consistently to the tune of 108.00 a month since 2011. This is complete fraud on their behalf. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!

While I only had my kitten for a few months, the coverage offered was a very appealing deal. I would recommend this company and the cost of the insurance is low. They offer many different types of insurance so you find the coverage that's right for you and your pet. I wasn't offered any discounts, however I only purchased the base policy. If I would have bought a more expensive one I probably would have saved a great deal of money. I never had to file a claim. Nothing happened to my pet. But I'm sure that if I would have needed to file a claim it would've been a short waiting period.

It covered shots, sickness, spay and bit of important things my dog needed like checkups and such. It have me free meds and pest control of like fleas and ticks and heartworms. It was not as expensive as some of the other companies I looked around. It was actually pretty affordable. I would spend more if I paid my vet care. I did receive some discounts on the meds that keep my pet healthy look like vitamins meds for their skin and fur and also antibiotics. There are bits of discounts I haven't used yet but do intend to. It didn't take very long to get reimbursement, maybe a week at the most. I felt very comfortable in completion in filing my claims and I loved the people on the phone.

Great coverage for my pet and my pet's medications, also for the stay my pet had that lasted a week. I was very happy I had the coverage. It allowed me to save my puppy. As with any costs of anything it's sometimes hard to see the advantages but it is reasonable and makes the medication affordable luckily. The discounts on the vet stay and the medication is what makes it all worth it. Don't know what I would have done if I didn't have it. I would have lost my puppy to parvo. Very quick. I didn't have any problems. They knew right away and handled the claims as they came along. No dispute of any kind. Great customer service and very friendly.

I purchased coverage for both of my late dogs. It covered an emergency visit or two and really helped offset costs when I discovered one was very ill. The premiums were about one hundred dollars per year and I paid thirty or so dollars each time I took them in for a visit. I had coverage for three years and my premium went up each year but the increase was manageable. I did not receive many discounts. I recall getting one for signing up multiple animals, as well as consolidating their visits and veterinary offices. The claims I had were resolved within 30 days, if not less, and the claims office was very communicative and helpful. I was able to quickly file a claim and the tracking system when I called was helpful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

I would recommend due to good experience with them. They were nice and helpful in helping me choose the coverage I wanted for my pet. The cost was fair enough. But, if you love your pet as much as I do mine, then the cost is not a factor unless it's just ridiculously high!!

Very comprehensive benefits with a lot of coverage. Have my pet well covered. Love the benefits of my policy with extensive benefits. Love their coverage. Great value for the price. Very inexpensive for the benefits. Well more valuable than the price states. Great company. Love them all the way around. They have a few discounts that offer great value to their company and involving with the needs of the customers. Very caring and offer extensive discounts in a few areas. Very quick processing of claims. Never exceeds the allotted time that is provided by the company. Overall excellence.

Coverage seems to be sufficient for most cases. Many situations and instances covered that protect your pet in almost any situation. Variable costs as well. Cost is very fair, as installments are broken into monthly payments and a bonus is given at the end of the statement period if your deductible hasn't been reached. Agents were very thorough and efficiently walked me through the process. I was very pleased with the results and have lower payments now.

The coverage is remarkable and they have outstanding service to provide for any pet in need. They do their best to help out every single pet that needs. The cost is one of the best. It has been a privilege to been involved in the cost of the services and I get a chance to keep a lot of my income because of the cost. I get a lot of discounts from them. They treat me with the utmost respect. If I'm unable to pay they help me to pay in installments to help pay the fee. The claim processing is clear and up front. They told me from the start of the services provided and the necessary treatment they do if they need to do it.

I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who wants it. If I ever needed to use it again I would. The cost wasn't bad. I was happy to pay what I paid. They were right in line with other places I looked. I didn't get too many discounts with this but still I was very happy - us in this service. The process was quick, efficient, no complaints. Everything happened in a timely manner.

Great ease of use. Great service all the time. I love everything about what they do for my pets. They are the best at what they do and stand for. Great prices on everything you and your pets need. I love the things they stand for. Great in every way. They always make sure you get the best discounts possible. I have nothing but great good things to say about them. They know what they stand for and are great at what they do. Great easy to see and understand what they stand for. They are always at the best prices and discounts around.

We have had Trupanion since we purchase our French bulldog almost five years ago. We cannot say enough good things about them! The rate has stayed the same for as long as we have had our policy. They are prompt in responding and processing our claims and we love the lifetime deductible per issue as our dog has two lifelong illnesses. I have referred multiple people to them and everyone is thrilled with our service.

Purchased this insurance back in January thinking it would cover our 7-year old Maltese. Tried to submit a claim for routine check-up. Was only informed THEN that the insurance didn't cover anything preventative. So this product PENALIZES the owner for taking care of your pet. Lost 700.00 bucks in monthly premiums for a total scam that won't cover basic medical care for a pet. PET INSURANCE IS A SCAM.

I signed up with Trupanion for my cat. The policy cost $25 per month. Every year, they raise it by 20%. When I called to ask why, they said it was because they could. They do NOT cover preventive care, which could find a condition like cancer before it gets VERY expensive. In other words, they NEVER pay for anything that could keep my cat healthy, but raise the premium 20% every year.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Trupanion is a pet medical insurance company founded by CEO Darryl Rawlings. The company is a founding member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA) and has been publicly traded since July of 2014.

• Dog and cat coverage: With Trupanion, pet owners can get pet medical insurance for both dogs and their cats.
  • 90% coverage: The company offers pet owners 90% coverage of actual veterinary costs for all approved pet accidents and illnesses.
  • Unlimited lifetime coverage: Trupanion has no limit on the number of accidents, illnesses or years a pet can be covered for.
  • Educational information: The company offers pet owners educational information via its website and print materials, which helps give tips for health, nutrition and warning signs for illness.
  • Community focused: In addition to providing pet insurance, the company also contributes a lot to community organizations, contributing more than $200,000 to animal welfare programs across the country.
  • Best for Pet owners with dogs and cats, new pet owners and pet owners with rambunctious pets.

Compare Pet Insurance