2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.61/5

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of customers’ vet bills for their dogs and cats, with no maximum payout limits. It sets lifetime deductibles for every condition, so there is no need to reach a new deductible every year for long-term conditions. Trupanion also pays veterinarians directly, simplifying the process for consumers. Though many consumers are unhappy with their high premiums, the broad coverage justifies the cost for many pet owners.

BOTTOM LINE

Trupanion pet insurance offers deductibles based on individual conditions, along with customizable coverage and a variety of deductible options.

PROS
  • Direct payment to veterinarians
  • 90% coverage
  • No payout limits
CONS
  • High premiums

Top Trupanion Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Trupanion was a lifesaver. When both my dogs had serious medical issues at the same time, I had $10,000 in vet bills. Trupanion paid most of it. I was able to take care of them without worrying about running up the credit card. Pre-existing conditions aren't covered, so sign up before you have any!

My dog was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor and needed surgery and further treatment... I submitted my 1st claim and within 2 weeks I got reimbursed for 90% minus my deductible in 3 days. Trupanion is a great company. Such a peace of mind knowing your little babies are covered.

What is Trupanion?

Trupanion offers both dog insurance and cat insurance. With Trupanion, all customers receive one simple plan that makes clear what’s covered and what’s not.

Trupanion plans cover all unexpected injuries and illnesses, reimbursing customers for 90% of their vet bills without payout limits once they’ve met their deductibles. Trupanion’s customer service team also lessens billing hassles by paying veterinarians directly. Once you’ve enrolled, Trupanion’s waiting period for injury coverage is five days, which is shorter than the industry standard of 14 days. However, the waiting period before it covers treating any illnesses is 30 days.

Trupanion pet insurance plans

Trupanion pet health insurance offers just one type of plan, although it’s applicable to both cats and dogs. Trupanion’s pet insurance plan is more expensive than many of its competitors', but the plan is comprehensive and rates are fixed for the entire length of the policy. With Trupanion’s lifetime, per-condition deductible, customers save more in the long run for chronic conditions, too.

What does Trupanion cover?

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of the cost to treat any new illness or condition that your pet experiences during the policy’s term. Trupanion’s preexisting conditions policy is similar to other companies’, meaning it does not cover any illness, injury or condition that your pet had before enrollment. You have to wait at least five days to get coverage for injury treatment and 30 days for illness care.

The company covers 90% of the cost of hereditary diseases, unidentified issues and congenital illnesses that are not preexisting conditions. This includes health problems that many other providers don’t cover, including:

• Hip dysplasia
    • Vitamins and supplements
    • Dental illness
    • Orthopedic issues

How much does Trupanion pet insurance cost?

Trupanion dog insurance costs between $36 and $100 per month for most breeds, and Trupanion cat insurance costs between $23 and $57 per month. With Trupanion, pet owners can customize their coverage with a deductible up to $1,000, along with coverage enhancements, such as recovery care and pet owner assistance. Coverage enhancements add a few dollars to your premium every month.

Trupanion pet insurance plans include lifetime, per-condition deductibles instead of annual deductibles, meaning customers don’t have to keep paying year after year for a chronic condition. Once you’ve met the deductible for your pet’s condition, you’ll never have to pay the deductible again to treat it.

Trupanion does not offer a discount for multiple pets, but it does have a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied.

Trupanion FAQ

Does Trupanion cover cancer?
    Trupanion animal insurance does cover cancer as long as it was not diagnosed before the beginning of the policy or within the waiting period.
    Does Trupanion cover vaccinations?
    No, Trupanion’s pet health insurance plan does not cover vaccinations. It only covers unexpected expenses, which don’t include wellness care, like vaccinations or preventive medications.
    How long does it take to complete a claim with Trupanion pet insurance?
    While Trupanion doesn’t say how long its claim process lasts, many reviewers who pay at the time of visit mention getting reimbursed within two weeks.
    Does Trupanion cover blood work?
    It depends. If the blood work is routine, Trupanion pet insurance does not cover it. However, if it’s unexpected, it is covered.
    Does Trupanion cover neutering?
    Like most pet insurance companies, Trupanion does not cover the cost of neutering.

Is Trupanion worth it?

Trupanion is a pet insurance company offering a wide variety of coverage and convenience benefits. Trupanion pays 90% of your vet bills with no maximum limit, and it doesn’t raise annual rates. To save you money, the company also sets lifetime, per-condition deductibles and cuts out the middleman by paying veterinarians directly. However, Trupanion’s monthly premiums are still pricier than its competitors', so this company is best for customers who want more coverage and benefits and are willing to pay for it.

Trupanion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

My experience with Trupanion has-been mostly positive. With my plan, Trupanion covers 90% of the cost for most vet visits-- but they do not cover testing fees or exam fees, which can be very expensive when trying to diagnose and properly treat your pet. My monthly premium is ~$18, which I feel is a fair price for 90% coverage on most expenses. The claims process is a piece of cake, too, which takes the headache out of filing a claim. You're done in a matter of seconds.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

When my dog needed medical care in several instances, they paid the claim without argument or procrastinating. Pet health insurance is priceless as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to be in a position where I have to choose between my dog's life and money. I tried the reimbursable pet insurances and had really bad service.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

Great pet insurance at a great price. And I don't have to worry about being able to afford the vet in an emergency. I've had this for over a year now and I can't say how better I feel knowing I can handle whatever comes up with my fur babies.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

My new puppy had a foxtail up his nose, and had to have an emergency rhinoscopy. He could not stop sneezing. I called Trupanion after I dropped him off at the Vet. They were kind and efficient. They paid my Vet directly before I picked him up the same day! It could not have been easier, transparent or straightforward. I had my insurance less than a month with no waiting period. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND to anyone with a pet. I could not be happier.

Original review: April 29, 2020

I am a huge advocate of Trupanion. My beautiful Great Dane was diagnosed with a heart condition 2 years ago and put on multiple medications. Trupanion covered without fail. My rates did not increase. 8 months ago, cancer was found, and they covered treatments, and more medications, again no rate changes. I am so happy that our coverage helped keep my girl with us. Trupanion, thank YOU! I am eternally grateful and will continue to sing your praises.

Original review: April 8, 2021

Started at $75 3 years ago and now up to $150. The reasoning is; if animals of the same type are claiming in your area your payments will rise also. I have a mixed breed dog, most dog are cross bred lol. I’ve never claimed, never missed payment, never called to question, the last hike was 100 to 150.. I think I’m done.

Original review: April 7, 2021

As most have said this company raised their rates 33+% for no reason other than profits. They make absurd associations to try VERY hard to find a reason to get something categorized as "Pre Existing" and they usually do. Yes. It's entirely on HOW the Vet writes up your visit. Always only have 1 thing on your appointment, don't mingle things together, like hey we are going to the vet so let's have them check for this as well. That's a recipe for disaster trying to get a claim paid through these criminal LOSERS. I hope they go out of business and the CEO as rich as he or she might be suffers somehow in the future, they don't helps people in society. They add to the Plight of the avg citizen, taking money (and too much of it) they SUCK HUGE, CANCEL your policy ASAP>!!

Original review: March 29, 2021

Trupanion is a company whose real product is false compassion. They are little more than a bureaucratic machine, one who couldn't care less for the role a pet plays in a family dynamic, and they leverage false tones and engineered kindness under the illusion of care. When attempting to file a claim, secure a pre-approval, or generate support for a pet's condition, policy holders are met with fake manufactured support, only to find any attempts at financial reimbursement and/or payments are met with the actions of a typical insurance company; at any and all costs, find a way to deny the claim.

In my case, failure to secure recent months veterinary history, due to COVID preventing visit, provided these financial mercenaries a reason to deny a claim which could have save my young dog's life. Instead, I am now forced to choose between essentially bankrupting myself or letting my beloved pet die of cancer years before he should. That is who Trupanion is - a company who will ultimately force you to choose between your financial stability or the life of a loved one, all the while collecting your premiums en route to supporting their ability to hire more claim reps well versed in false compassion. You shouldn't only avoid this company, you should actively support their investigation and ultimate demise. They are, in a single word, criminals.

Original review: March 24, 2021

They don't pay for anything. Always an excuse of how this or that isn't covered. My dog had an ear infection. I submitted a claim but they rejected it saying they don't pay for examination fees. Apparently the only part they'd cover is the ear drops. Of course that's less than the deductible. You pay $77/mth for years. Occasionally your dog needs to go to the vet. And Trupanion finds some reason why they shouldn't reimburse it. This is a scam.

Original review: March 18, 2021

Absolutely horrible. My puppy got sick, was throwing up and lethargic so I took her to a clinic. They did a bunch of tests to determine her stomach was inflamed and gave her an iv and prescription food. They said it could be from the post spay meds or ingesting something by accident. The cost of the visit was over $900 and they covered zero. What’s the point of pet insurance if they will not help when she’s sick and needs to go to the animal hospital? Oh and it took over two months for them to look at the claim. Absolutely horrible. I do not recommend wasting your money as they are stingy and will fight to not cover. I had already spent about $150 on the couple months I had the insurance.

Trupanion Company Information