Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.22/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of customers’ vet bills for their dogs and cats, with no maximum payout limits. It sets lifetime deductibles for every condition, so there is no need to reach a new deductible every year for long-term conditions. Trupanion also pays veterinarians directly, simplifying the process for consumers. Though many consumers are unhappy with their high premiums, the broad coverage justifies the cost for many pet owners.

BOTTOM LINE

Trupanion pet insurance offers deductibles based on individual conditions, along with customizable coverage and a variety of deductible options.

PROS

• Direct payment to veterinarians
    • 90% coverage
    • No payout limits

CONS

• High premiums

Top Trupanion Reviews

Trupanion was a lifesaver. When both my dogs had serious medical issues at the same time, I had $10,000 in vet bills. Trupanion paid most of it. I was able to take care of them without worrying about running up the credit card. Pre-existing conditions aren't covered, so sign up before you have any!

My dog was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor and needed surgery and further treatment... I submitted my 1st claim and within 2 weeks I got reimbursed for 90% minus my deductible in 3 days. Trupanion is a great company. Such a peace of mind knowing your little babies are covered.

What is Trupanion?

Trupanion offers both dog insurance and cat insurance. With Trupanion, all customers receive one simple plan that makes clear what’s covered and what’s not.

Trupanion plans cover all unexpected injuries and illnesses, reimbursing customers for 90% of their vet bills without payout limits once they’ve met their deductibles. Trupanion’s customer service team also lessens billing hassles by paying veterinarians directly. Once you’ve enrolled, Trupanion’s waiting period for injury coverage is five days, which is shorter than the industry standard of 14 days. However, the waiting period before it covers treating any illnesses is 30 days.

Trupanion pet insurance plans

Trupanion pet health insurance offers just one type of plan, although it’s applicable to both cats and dogs. Trupanion’s pet insurance plan is more expensive than many of its competitors', but the plan is comprehensive and rates are fixed for the entire length of the policy. With Trupanion’s lifetime, per-condition deductible, customers save more in the long run for chronic conditions, too.

What does Trupanion cover?

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of the cost to treat any new illness or condition that your pet experiences during the policy’s term. Trupanion’s preexisting conditions policy is similar to other companies’, meaning it does not cover any illness, injury or condition that your pet had before enrollment. You have to wait at least five days to get coverage for injury treatment and 30 days for illness care.

The company covers 90% of the cost of hereditary diseases, unidentified issues and congenital illnesses that are not preexisting conditions. This includes health problems that many other providers don’t cover, including:

• Hip dysplasia
        • Vitamins and supplements
        • Dental illness
        • Orthopedic issues

How much does Trupanion pet insurance cost?

Trupanion dog insurance costs between $36 and $100 per month for most breeds, and Trupanion cat insurance costs between $23 and $57 per month. With Trupanion, pet owners can customize their coverage with a deductible up to $1,000, along with coverage enhancements, such as recovery care and pet owner assistance. Coverage enhancements add a few dollars to your premium every month.

Trupanion pet insurance plans include lifetime, per-condition deductibles instead of annual deductibles, meaning customers don’t have to keep paying year after year for a chronic condition. Once you’ve met the deductible for your pet’s condition, you’ll never have to pay the deductible again to treat it.

Trupanion does not offer a discount for multiple pets, but it does have a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied.

Trupanion FAQ

Does Trupanion cover cancer?
        Trupanion animal insurance does cover cancer as long as it was not diagnosed before the beginning of the policy or within the waiting period.
        Does Trupanion cover vaccinations?
        No, Trupanion’s pet health insurance plan does not cover vaccinations. It only covers unexpected expenses, which don’t include wellness care, like vaccinations or preventive medications.
        How long does it take to complete a claim with Trupanion pet insurance?
        While Trupanion doesn’t say how long its claim process lasts, many reviewers who pay at the time of visit mention getting reimbursed within two weeks.
        Does Trupanion cover blood work?
        It depends. If the blood work is routine, Trupanion pet insurance does not cover it. However, if it’s unexpected, it is covered.
        Does Trupanion cover neutering?
        Like most pet insurance companies, Trupanion does not cover the cost of neutering.

Is Trupanion worth it?

Trupanion is a pet insurance company offering a wide variety of coverage and convenience benefits. Trupanion pays 90% of your vet bills with no maximum limit, and it doesn’t raise annual rates. To save you money, the company also sets lifetime, per-condition deductibles and cuts out the middleman by paying veterinarians directly. However, Trupanion’s monthly premiums are still pricier than its competitors', so this company is best for customers who want more coverage and benefits and are willing to pay for it.

Trupanion Reviews

Original review: March 27, 2020

We—and our little Cavalier Spaniels—have been with Trupanion for over a decade, after spending countless hours researching pet insurance options and providers. Trupanion made it possible for us to pursue cancer treatment for our sweet girl, Molly, and give her another 2 healthy, happy years after her initial diagnosis. Trupanion also supported her eye care and medications for many years. Over the course of her life, we submitted well over 100 claims, and never—not a single time—did we have any trouble with the claims process, have to fight for a claim, or file an appeal. The claims process is extremely simple and takes less than 2 minutes to complete, and the money is in our account within just a few days.

While the premiums for Trupanion are more expensive than some other pet insurance products, the coverage is far more comprehensive. Trupanion paid out well over $150,000 in claims over the course of our little Molly’s life- and we never had to fight for a single claim. Not once. Trupanion covered every single treatment, test, and medication her doctors recommended, without any fight on our part.

Not only does Trupanion have a superior product, with excellent coverage, and a quick and easy claims process, but the customer service at Trupanion far exceeds that I’ve experienced with any other company in any industry. The Trupanion staff go out of their way to in being caring and empathetic during hard times. When our sweet Molly was diagnosed with cancer, I was terrified we weren’t going to be able to afford the treatment recommended by our vet. When I called Trupanion with questions about coverage, not only did they clearly explain the coverage available to us, but the customer service staff were so kind and understanding and so empathetic for what our family was going through.

I only wish that humans had access to the kind of excellent, comprehensive coverage, hassle-free claims process, and truly compassionate customer service in our insurance as our sweet pups have in Trupanion. Without Trupanion, we would not have been able to provide such a long, healthy, and happy life for our sweet girl. We are so truly and forever grateful to be with Trupanion!

Original review: March 1, 2020

I reasearched several Pet insurance companies before I got my puppy. Trupanion by far is the best coverage, with no lifetime limits per condition. A few months after getting my lab, I noticed him limping, after an X-ray and physical exam (which I was well aware the insurance wouldn’t cover the exam fee as I had read the fine print) it was determined that he had a partial tear in his cranial crucial ligament. He now goes for rehab (laser treatments, acupuncture, and hydrotherapy) 2-3 times per month and has been on Chinese herbal medicine and I’ve not once ever had an issue with payment or approval.

I submit my invoice after leaving the vet, and I have the money deposited back into my account within 3 days. I see so many reviews on here about people complaining that they don’t cover the exam fee or tax and a few other things, and all I can say is like anything, read the clauses and fine print, and you won’t have any surprises! Thank you Trupanion for making it possible to keep my baby happy, healthy, and pain free.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

We got the insurance for 2 pets 6 years ago...one being 7 and the other about 8 weeks at the time. The younger one was very sick for 2 years and needed really expensive food. That allowance runs out after 2 months. He eventually got well and has needed little care since. The older one developed Cushing's...for which twice annual testing and monthly medication was very expensive. We got our premiums back big time on her. Trupanion even sent a sympathy card to us when she died 3 weeks ago. They pay promptly and are very easy to work with. But no exams and no routine care are covered. Premiums for my old girl were at $96/mo which I did not think unreasonable for a 13 year old. It's like all insurance. You are paying the premium in case you need it. One ACL repair on our girl was $2100, we paid $100 deductible for new diagnosis, then they covered 90%.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I have had Trupanion for my Pomeranian for 6 years. This insurance has been awesome and has more than paid for itself in the last 2 years alone. I don’t understand the negative reviews. Yes the premiums go up every year but so did all the other pet insurance companies. If your pet isn’t enrolled in Vet pay, you will receive reimbursement for your claims within 3 days. They have NEVER denied any of our claims and we have had many in just the last 2 years. Probably more than most claims in 2 years than most people have in the lifetime of their pet. I am so thankful we have Trupanion for our fur baby.

Original review: June 13, 2019

My dog was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor and needed surgery and further treatment. I was reluctant since this was my 1st claim and didn’t know what to expect. All I can tell you is wow I submitted my 1st claim and within 2 weeks I got reimbursed for 90% - my deductible, after that it was 3 days. Trupanion is a great company. I will recommend them to family and friends. Such a peace of mind knowing your little babies are covered. Thanks Trupanion!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: March 7, 2020

Trupanion pet insurance Is a death sentence for your pets. In August 2019 I was given a nine month old Puppies. I was told by the people that gave the dog to me that the dog had all of his shots. I had found out that I didn’t have any shots whatsoever. In September 2019 I brought the puppy to my vets And had a full work up done on her and all of her shots. I have been going to my vet for over 20 years and she’s wonderful. When I was leaving I got a wellness package. Inside this wellness package How to form for an insurance. Call Trupanion when I got home. I called to find out more about this insurance. The representative for Trupanion had said There is no wait time for the new puppy I had received so if she got sick she would be covered.

The same day I had taken her to the vet I call Trupanion. While I was talking to the representative she had asked if I had other dogs or cats. I said I have two more dogs. She said, "You can also put these two dogs on but there they’ll be a 30 day waiting period so they wouldn’t be covered during that 30 days. After that they would be covered." I had her cover them to because I had lost two dogs to Cancer And I had asked them if they cover Cancer and the lady from Trupanion said they cover everything except for pre-existing conditions and their vaccinations. On December 12, 2019 I brought my other two dogs in to see my vet To get their updates for their vaccinations. While I was in the vet's office I asked Matt to look at one of my dog's eyes. He had a little lump under his eye and I want to have a checked. I thought it might’ve been a tick bite. She wound up doing a biopsy on it and having it sent out.

When I went to go pay my bill I let the girls know at the front desk that I had Trupanion insurance to cover the biopsy. The girls at the front desk call Trupanion to let them know that this procedure was done and what the cost would be. They Were having problems getting through to them so when I got home I called them to let them know that the dog had to have this procedure done and to send the payment to the vet since the vet is a VCA Hospital, Set a lady at Trupanion said there would be no problem. Then I got a phone call from Trupanion on the 18th telling me they’re not gonna cover it because it’s a pre-existing condition. I told the lady it wasn’t then she told me it had to go into arbitration to prove that it wasn’t a pre-existing condition. They wanted my vet records for my pets which they received. He wanted letters from the vet stating it was a pre-existing which my vet provided.

I’ve been going back-and-forth with Trupanion to have the tumor removed from underneath of the dog's eye. This is a very expensive procedure and then the tumor Has to be sent out to the pathologist to see what type of cancer it is. I have been going back-and-forth with them. I’ve spoken with the supervisor Mr. ** with many of the representatives To get the case reopened. I have told them that it was not a pre-existing condition. My vet had “sent letters anything and everything she could do. Today is March 6, 2020. I was so aggravated. I told the girl I wanted to speak to a supervisor. She put a supervisor on. He called himself Mr. **. He said he would do all he could do that have the case reopened. He asked me what kind of tumor it was. I told him I didn’t know it needs to be surgically removed and sent out. I told him I’ve already lost two dogs to Cancer and he said that he would try to get the case reopened.

He also wanted to know how much it would cost and when I was going to have the procedure done I told him that it needed to be approved immediately and I told him how much it was gonna cost. My vet had sent him a letter via email And when I talk to him I had told him that he would be receiving an email from the vet. He told me he was going to get the case reopened and that he won’t be back until the following Monday and then I would know by then and I told him I couldn’t wait for that. He said that he would call me back which he never did. 20 minutes later I get an email stating that the vet from Trupanion had denied the procedure.

I got on the phone again and Said to the girl that I wanted to speak to a manager. I told her the ** knew this and he left for the day and he didn’t even bother calling. He didn’t do anything to help me out and then I told her that with her company they bring their pets to work with them and if anything were to go Wrong with one of their animals whether it be a pre-existing condition or whatever they have no problem getting the treatment that they needed for their animals but since I’m A customer that has insurance on their animals. Your company being an insurance company will find any way you can to deny a procedure to be done. I told her my animals are like my children. I have insurance on me. They have insurance on them and I expect for the insurance company to Help me with the medical bill. That’s what I’m paying them for. It’s now 11:25 PM at night and I still haven’t heard anything from the manager.

Before I got on this forum I had read the reviews on this insurance company and I was blown away on how many people have gone through and are going through what I’m going through. This is why if I don’t get any satisfaction tonight I’m gonna start filing a class-action suit against Trupanion. I’ve already talk to my lawyer and Told, "If Trupanion insurance does not do anything for you we will see you then." When I spoke with ** the supervisor from Trupanion he had said that this company has been around for over 15 years.

For anybody thinking about getting trupanion get on the reviews and read them and don’t think twice about getting this insurance. Like I said you’re real happy to take your premiums from you but they don’t want to help you out whatsoever. They don’t wanna help your animals and that’s what they’re there for. With every review that I read they were all denials where they would not pay for the procedure to be done on the animals. If you have an animal can you just noticed that something is wrong with it people hate to tell you but they’re going to call it a pre-existing condition even though you’ve never even had your dog to a vet. We’re not doctors. We have to bring our dogs to a doctor like we have to go to the doctor to be diagnosed. These people should get it through your damn head that if we have an animal that’s sick or need surgery that’s why we bring them to doctors. They just don’t want to help us. I can’t even give them a star.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I was given a brochure from our vet on this insurance. They also gave me an "email certificate" for 24 hours for...something, I still don't know what. I called the number. Was was connected to a man on the phone. Our conversation did not go well from the beginning. He talked down to me the whole time and getting information from him was terrible. He asked me a few questions about my dog and told me a premium quote with a deductible. When I asked him about other deductible options he was not helpful at all. The whole time I did not feel like he was interested in dealing with me on the phone. I ended the call after that. He could have had a pretty easy sale if he would have been more personable. We decided to shop elsewhere. If they can't treat you properly during the sale, I sure didn't want to find out what the treatment would be when came time to file a claim.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

They will go to any length to deny claims, fictitious pre existing conditions, absolutely horrible service, don't waste your money. Took me 35 minutes to cancel the policy, the worst experience ever, go with ANY other company.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I wish I had read the reviews on this site before signing up with this awful company. I cancelled all 3 policies today now that my new insurance has started. I adopted 2 kittens and a puppy about a year ago. Got them all their shots and initial clean bill of health from the organizations I adopted them from. About 7 months in, I took them to a recommended vet. I told them up front that I had Trupanion insurance which they were clearly promoting through the office. They proudly told me they had the auto system to upload claims making it super easy. Turns out that my girl kitten had gingivitis. The vet prescribed antibiotics and told me to come back in w weeks. Upon return, it wasn't gone. He ran feline aids and leukemia tests - which fortunately came back negative - and unfortunately cost me more $. The vet recommended he pull several teeth which I was okay with both to help my kitten and because I had the insurance coverage.

Long story short, Trunpanion rejected the claim as it was a "preexisting condition" though I only found out about it at the fist vet appt. I would have had to take her in much earlier to have it covered. And how was I to know this? Oh, it's in the tiny tiny premium doc they emailed me. I told them that the rep who sold me the policy provided amazing detail however neglected to discuss dental. They further told me that I could have called for pre-authorization (yeah, right).

You would have thought the vet would know this given their Trupanion relationship. The vet's office response was that all the Trupanion policies are

different - a BIG LIE per Trupanion. I happily cancelled my policies with this horrible company today. They sure made it difficult compared to selling me the policies. Glad to be done with them. NEVER NEVER BUY INSURANCE FROM THIS COMPANY! And my kitten, she's fine now that she had all her teeth pulled from juvenile gingivitis. No longer have to worry about it as a pre-existing condition. :-(

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

We had a terrible experience with Trupanion on our claims related to our 8 weeks old puppy. Thankfully they showed their true colors during the breeder certificate period, otherwise, I would only have been donating premiums close to $80/month, going forward. We obtained our puppy from a breeder and came home with a breeder certificate for 1 month. On the 4th day morning, our puppy had diarrhea and we rushed him to a vet. We visited the vet for 3 days. As our puppy started recovering, we filed claims with Trupanion. They rejected the claims citing "pre-existing conditions". We were shocked but realized that the vet had provided wrong documentations, with wrong dates. I will never forgive the vet for doing this and dealing with them separately. The vet later wrote an amendment and submitted to Trupanion. I also dropped a note to Trupanion's CEO asking if his organization would do the morally right thing or ignore everything.

What followed is a very traumatic and stressful experience for our family. Trupanion assigned a "vet" to investigate through the process. While he claimed to follow an unbiased process, the whole process was biased. Throughout the process, Trupanion tried coming from various angles to decline the claims including flip flopping positions from "pre-existing" to telling us in the end that our certificate from breeder that we registered is completely invalid. They will argue forever and wear you out.

While the claim was for $1000 and not a life changing amount for our family, it is the whole experience of how you are treated dealing with unethical folks. In the end, the appeals rejected the claims but wanted to offer us further insurance including being immediately eligible for accident cover. Frankly, I cannot bear working with unethical businesses and have immediately rejected the offer. I do not want to go through another mental stress every dealing with this organization. If my puppy has any issues, I would rather spend from my pocket vs take help of such types of organizations.

As I read reviews on this forum, I think we have dodged a bullet long term because if I had continued with Trupanion, I would only have been making donations to a bad business. I also see consistent negative reviews over last several months. The type of behavior they exhibited for a mere $1000 claim, makes me wonder if everything is right for this company - whether they are seriously cash crunched or on verge of bankruptcy. Only time will tell... I could have possibly gone to our AG office or filed a small claims court claim but they way they behaved, I realized they do not wish to pay and in such situations, it is better they keep the money. Bad Karma will bite you at some point of time!

Trupanion Company Information