Trupanion
1.40/5
Based on 35 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a pet insurance provider?

Trupanion Reviews

Last updated: April 16, 2018

53 Trupanion Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 16, 2018

We have had Trupanion Pet Insurance for about 6 years for our Pomeranian. With all the times that we have taken her for one incident or another, we were unable to meet the $500 deductible they said we need to meet and believe me we had various times that needed to take her to the Vet. The kicker was last Thursday when we took her in for what apparently was a urinary infection which we paid $255 for 3 test and medicine. When we contacted Trupanion they of course that because this is a new medical that we had to start another $500 for this issue. I believe Trupanion is a scam and the Vets are part of it because they offer this at the Vet that you take your animal to.

Original review: March 28, 2018

We purchased Trupanion Pet Insurance after my puppy’s very first visit to his Vet on June 2017. After a couple of months we noticed him limping while walking. We brought him back to see the vet in Sept 2017. X-rays were done and the results showed that he was diagnosed with bilateral ankle dysplasia and needed surgery. Assured by our Vet that insurance would cover the expense, we went ahead with surgery only to find it WAS NOT COVERED. After contacting Trupanion they informed me that due to my Vet’s medical notes about my dog seen on Sept. 2017 stating “limping for ‘several’ months” that this was a pre-existing condition and therefore did not meet their policy of coverage. His Vet wrote a letter to appeal and had called personally and spoke with Christin in the Appeal Dept. informing them that it was her mistake and sent all other exams indicating no existing of limping.

We in fact purchased this insurance before my dog exhibited any signs of limping. Both his vet and I have been maintaining communication with Trupanion with hopes of getting our case reappealed. It has now been several months and I have had no luck. I am heartbroken as my dog’s surgery was uneventful. His rehab vet recommended therapy, injections and a possibility of another surgery that will have to come out of our pocket.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 14, 2018

We purchased Trupanion insurance for our 2 year old small dog after we paid out of pocket for surgery for a luxated patella. We knew that anything related to his knee would never be covered because it is a preexisting condition. The dog became ill a couple of months ago, sick, throwing up and lethargic. We thought he might have eaten something and had a blockage. Several tests were run and nothing appeared definitive.

After 4-5 days the dog was doing much better and has been fine since. When I filed with the insurance to cover the tests, the insurance didn't look at it like it was an acute illness or potential blockage. They denied the claims saying the dog has a preexisting condition because he got sick and threw up once when he was 2 months old and he eats digestive health food because of soft stools. We appealed and the vet even called the insurance to say this is ridiculous. The insurance denied the appeal also. This insurance is NOT what you think it is and I'm inclined to think it is a scam to collect money.

Original review: March 4, 2018

They have never approved any claim we have submitted because of technicalities or wording in the vet's notes. They say there wasn't a time that they had to wait for the pet to be covered. That's a lie. They say they care about the pet and don't want to see families have to put down or give up their pets because of medical bills. That's a lie. They care about money. That's all. They are no different than any other insurance company for humans. Out to make a dollar off the backs of your loved ones. Save yourself the trouble. Set up a crowdfunding site if your animal gets sick. These people are a hot dumpster fire.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

THEY DID NOT REFUND AFTER ONLY 24 HOURS. STAY AWAY. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE. DO not go near them. They take your money and will not refund you after lying to you. I was told that I was under a 30 day trial period and I was lied to when I signed up and they did not refund the 35$ set up fee and gave me an excuse that it’s NY state law without actually pointing me to the right place where I can understand why. Try Healthy Paws. Much better.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

This particular pet insurance is significantly more expensive than others. When I decided to sign up my new puppies they justified their inflated premiums to me by stating they cover more, ease of filing claims and most importantly that just about everything is covered at 90%. This is extremely false. They also told me as they were taking my money that my puppies would have coverage once payment was received. They took my payment immediately and it was processed over the phone. I signed my two puppies up for what I thought would be superior coverage on 11/16. Have been a great customer diligently paying my highly inflated premiums. Never used the insurance or filed a claim until 2/18 when one of my puppies needed medical care. The claim was for $1K approximately. I was misled by this company as I was that once my $200 deductible was met coverage would be at 90%. Not true!

All claims have been denied which appears to be their standard operating procedure. Deny everything and force the consumer to fight for their rightful reimbursements! I called today and escalated my claims to a manager. All calls are tape recorded so kindly asked them to pull the tapes and listen to the original conversation when I was sold. So that they could hear for themselves and for evidence that I was clearly outright lied to when signing my two puppies up for their health insurance.

Buyer beware of this unscrupulous company. Not worth the inflated cost of their premiums. They lie and mislead upon signing and pull the bait and switch. No ease in filing claims as they deny all as first line of defense. I made my vet aware of this as they have their brochures in their office. I highly suspect getting some kickback in hindsight. Consumers there are lower cost carriers available that are ethical as I have since learned. However Trupanion is not one of them. This company has my lowest rating I can give on this platform.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

We just brought our rescue dog in for his first visit. This insurance was pushed on us, we said no, but they still included it on our bill as a "30 Day Trupanion Trial." Then the email automatically sent pressures you to sign on within 24 hours or lose the free trial. So we looked at the pamphlet and website. When you sign on THEY DO NOT COVER ANYTHING FOR 30 DAYS STATING IF YOU NEED TO BE SEEN IT MUST HAVE BEEN "PRE-EXISTING CONDITION(S)!" So there is no free 30 day trial! Look at the reviews - 1 (out of 5) given over and over as the company denies every claim as 'pre-existing'. This company is a scam artist. The worst kind of insurance fraud. Do not give them any money!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Let me begin how this company works. First they collect your money every month for $80.00. HOWEVER, THEY DO NOT PROVIDE ANY MAJOR COVERAGE WHAT SO EVER. Let me begin my case. I had to get dental cleaning done for my dog which is a routine work at Banfield Hospital. Unfortunately, my dog was not able to have this procedure to take place due to abnormal blood work (thrombocytopenia). Which was also recognized procedure by Trupanion on 6/28/17. My situation was not because of negligence. It was the prognosis of the blood work.

Now, my pet needs to have dental operation procedure because she has to have some of her teeth removed going forward. When I did submit the claim approval paperwork to Trupanion, in return they claimed that this is a pre-existing situation which is not correct because my dog was not able to have cleaning done due to having abnormal blood cells and in which even Trupanion recognized this situation few months ago. I had to wait until my dog's blood work to go back to normal. At same token, her dental situation got worst due to this waiting even how careful I was to use several procedure and cleaning solutions to keep in at minimum level for this waiting period.

The bottom line is when I asked for Trupanion to provide attention to cover for my dog's procedure. THEY DID NOT CARE. Instead they pushed me into another paperwork trail of bureaucracy so that in the end I can give up on it. If you care about your pet their well being you should avoid this company at all cost. After all they are very good at collecting your money but, they do not care about your pet or your overall situation... Go figure. Pet insurance has no difference than USA health insurance policy and limitations to make it worst for your well being in the long run!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I have found that on the whole if they pay a claim they remove most of the charges for one reason or another. They even consider a specialist's consult and office visit. They look for a needle in the haystack to deny allowing a claim or paying very little. My feeling is they lied to me to get me to switch making me believe they would cover the claims so much better than my previous insurance company. They made it seem worth their unlimited coverage & willingness to pay most claims to pay them twice as much monthly. I am now trapped. I gave up a lot of pre-existing conditions to move two dogs to their program. They then doubled their monthly fees. I am paying over $200 a month for 2 dogs and getting very little. My next dogs will NOT be under Trupanion.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

My 17 year old dog was diagnosed with pheochromocytoma, Trupanion gave me the peace of mind. The Trupanion staff was compassionate, understanding and the claims were paid in a timely manner. I highly recommend this company.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Trupanion never paid a penny for my dog. They interpreted "allergy" from "dirty ears" and ongoing ear infection, which is the reason that they won't cover the actual diagnosed allergy this time. It is as if they go out of their way to avoid paying. Out of 10 claims I have submitted, none got approved. My vet helped me appeal two claims because even the hospitals felt the insurance was being unfair. Appealing worked, but it certainly did not prevent Trupanion to call it an "isolated appeal" that does not mean anything to future related claims.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

We had major surgery done to our Boxer. She had her spleen removed and we were told it would be covered. However in the meantime they revised their policy and never told us so they denied the claim. They told us after our other dog had a ACL tear in his back leg. As long as it was not the same leg it would be covered, so because of them not covering the surgery for the spleen we ask them if our other dog would be covered if he tore his ACL in the other leg (not that she did. We just wanted to know how much they revised). They said no because even if it's the other leg it's an ongoing issue. They are a rip off, WE RECORDED WHAT THE MAN TOLD US WHEN WE GOT THE INSURANCE and he said any ongoing thing that the dogs have before we got the insurance as long as it was not in the same spot or has nothing to do with what they have now will be covered. That was a lie. They do not cover it.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Read the terms clearly and try to understand the purpose of this insurance: It is to avoid paying coverage for situations that are reasonably expected could occur. Trupanion provides coverage for pet boarding IF you are hospitalized for more than 4 days. I had hip replacement surgery five days ago and came home for recuperation two days after surgery. Trupanion would not cover my pet boarding because it was not more than 4 days' hospitalization. These days, patients and hospitals make every effort to get a patient home as soon as possible. THIS IS NOT THE SET OF TERMS A DECENT INSURANCE PLAN WOULD COVER AND FOR WHICH I PAY $88.00 PER M0NTH. Trupanion, don't represent this as the coverage it isn't. It looks like you discovered that statistics show most hospitalizations are 3 days or fewer and so your chance of having to pay out are essentially nil.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I wish I read these reviews before I purchased. They are terrible, they spend your money sending reps to market the insurance at vet offices to sell their scam insurance vs. paying claims. They offer big promotions AFTER the first vet visit, in fact I called to join prior to seeing a vet and was told the deductible is way less "on a promo" after the vet visit - this is because they don't pay a penny on anything AFTER the vet visit because they label it pre-existing. Don't even mention a concern to your vet and or have them document as it will be pre-existing. Stay as far away from this insurance as you can get!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Yet another unhappy consumer. My dog was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism last month and my vet stated this is a new condition. Trupanion turned it down stating this was connected to his skin issues and was pre-existing. They have a clear pattern of trying not to cover new conditions. I sell health insurance so I understand the system. Paid them $104/month for my 2 dogs for past 6 months. Diagnosis made after I suggested they test his thyroid in November. Trupanion won't pay. Have contacted my Vet to suggest they not recommend this company anymore.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I had several claims due to a vet that didn't know what they were doing for something as simple as a hot spot last Spring. They never covered anything and after 5 vet visits, paid out only about 40.00. I have since found a much more reasonable insurance (Pet's Best) that does cover exam fees and are much more customer friendly! I finally got Trupanion canceled after numerous emails and a phone call where I was pressured into reconsideration which ultimately still led to cancellation.

I actually had to threaten to get them to cancel this policy. Unbelievable that they charge a deductible for each illness and no exam fees. I should of caught that when I first had it. But, with how they acted to finally cancel my policy, I am furious and it hurts them in the long run to do so! Now I will be telling everyone how crappy they were and telling everyone how great Pet's Best is! They lied several times when they tried to get me to stay on board! When they realized I was leaving my policy was miraculously lowered 10.00 starting next year!!! I was overpaid to begin with!!! I should of researched much more before I wasted almost a year with them!!! How they handle your exit speaks volumes!!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Pet insurance failed to pay for an accident our dog had when the insurance company clearly should have covered the accident. They stated It was an illness and not an accident when the vet clearly stated It was accident related. Very disappointed and we cancelled insurance. We also let our vet know and they will no longer be recommending this company for pet insurance.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I bought a policy for my 12 week old Shih Tzu, after a year of paying for this policy, I submitted a claim. My Shih Tzu had 2 herniated discs. I chose this policy because it covered X-rays. Well the claim was denied because they wanted all Drs. notes, which were also submitted. They also denied examine fees, X-rays, medications. I was able to reopen my claim, which they denied as well, for same reasons. I don't know what else my veterinarian can submit to them. Trupanion is a scam!! After all this, they increased the policy rate, and never paid a dime towards my dog's bill. Beware!!! They won't receive another dime from me.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

We purchased Trupanion 2 years ago for our 3 month old mixed breed dogs. We have yet to submit a claim that hasn't been rejected due to "pre-existing condition." THEY WERE PUPPIES WHEN WE PURCHASED THIS CRAPPY INSURANCE! How can there be pre-existing conditions? ALSO, when we started, our bill was ~ $90 a month (for both). Now it's $160 a month!!! We're finally done being scammed by this ridiculous company. I just called to cancel and apparently calling is not enough. You have to cancel in writing. WTF? I can call and cancel my car insurance, my health insurance, my house insurance with it not being required in writing. What a frickin SCAM!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Hi my name is Luis. We have a beautiful 2 year old black lab named Bella. We just found out 4 weeks ago that she is in need of a tore cruciate back hind leg surgery ASAP. Now my son Christopher and I purchased Trupanion pet insurance approx 9 months ago. Now Trupanion refuses to pay for her surgery saying that it is a pre-existing condition. SMH what how I just found out 4 weeks ago!!! But now Trupanion say oh because I've taken her to the vet for a small limp in the past since she's a hyper baby and was on Novax they claim it was a sign and symptom. What? But her doctor never ever diagnosed her. In fact she's never had an X-ray or anything so how is that pre-existing Trupanion?

Shame on you for taking people's money with the hopes and security of knowing god forbid anything happens to my pet Trupanion is there not!!! Now we suffer everyday thinking what are we to do for Bella. She's on pain meds everyday to help manage her. She looks so sad because of the pain and Trupanion not willing not a single bit to help alleviate the cost with even paying for her X-rays, sedation or even blood work. If we were to find a doctor who can take payments so that we can get her the surgery she needs.

Customers shopping for pet insurance beware stay clear of Trupanion. They're crooks who paint a beautiful picture at first but then their true color of darkness comes thru when you need to put a claim for the sake of your pet's health and guess what the excuses of all the why nots come out SMH. I'm not only a fool for trusting them but hurt that I put my pet's life and health on their hands only to be let down. I'm so disgusted with Trupanion and I'm going to cancel them right now after this. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I've been with them for two years now, and they never cover anything. Everything is pre-existing to them, even when the situation is different. My dog ate part of a toy a couple of years ago, and we took him to the vet to have it regurgitated. Recently, he wasn't acting right and it turns out, he had somehow found an old toy, ate the squeaker and had to have a scope to remove it. They call it a pre-existing condition. My other dog had sprained a disk playing a while back and recently, when he was moving slow, we took him to the vet and though the vet said that wasn't his issue this time, they still denied the claim on a pre-existing condition. I've spent so much money on this service with no reimbursement. It has been a complete waste to me. To them, this is just a way to take advantage of vulnerable homeowners. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I have been paying 150 per month for years. I have never once been reimbursed for a claim. The very first claim near 1000 dollars they continue to request more and more information. This is absolutely ridiculous. Luckily we are fortunate to afford paying for the health of our animal but for anyone else these guys would rather their customers’ animals die than help them in a timely matter. I believe my problem is not unique and encourage everyone to stay away.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I got Trupanion about six years ago when we first adopted our dog. We picked Trupanion because they came recommended by the SPCA. For years I was paying about $50/month, doubting my decision. Our dog fell ill with congestive heart failure about 1.5 years ago. While he ultimately passed, Trupanion covered nearly $10k in his medical bills over that time. Trupanion was a huge relief, allowing for peace of mind as the condition deteriorated and required more frequent and costly vet visits. I highly recommend Trupanion, and will definitely use them when we're ready for another pet.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I have two pet insurance, one for maintenance with Banfield and the other one for Accidents, Disease, etc. My Banfield vet referred us to an Eye Specialists as the condition of my pet is not covered under the maintenance plan so we went to an eye specialists. Paid out of our pocket and then filed a claim to Trupanion. For Trupanion's convenience I've emailed the Banfield medical records as well as the receipt for the eye specialists in 08/28/17.

Claim was filed in 08/28/17. I have made several phone calls to follow up with Trupanion to see what the status of my claim and to go back to the Eye specialists for treatment. Trupanion finally responded today via email. They denied the claim as they said that the infection (that Banfield treated) is related to the eye allergies (conjunctivitis). Obviously, I was so disappointed in Trupanion's response as I myself work in the insurance industry. This is what gives the insurance industry a bad name. There should be a Consumer watchdog for companies like these. I will obviously appeal their decision and I will update this review shortly.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I have been dealing with Trupanion for MANY YEARS, and had my dog insured after having them do a full underwriting on past conditions she would be ineligible for. So I still pay thousands a year out of pocket for my dog's vet care. So long story short my dog came down with the autoimmune disease - immune mediated thrombocytopenia which they are trying to write off as a skin condition.

News flash. Claim adjusters you are children. The reasons for things being ineligible are which in complete contradiction and why it should be approved. I think these claims reps all get trained in a big room and get bonus money for denial of claims. It is a complete scam, my dog has regular blood work once or twice a year just for ** and giggles to make sure she is healthy. I will be reporting them to Better Business Bureau and taking them to small claims. DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT USE TRUPANION! There is many other honest insurance companies out there, Petsecure is who will get my business.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I have been paying for Trupanion for years, filed a claim and it was denied within less than 24 hours saying it was pre-existing condition. I spoke with three vets to determine if possibly I was filing a claim wrongfully. Was advised that the situation was different and should be covered by Trupanion. Trupanion reached out to all my vets but still determined it was not a claim they could cover. Which the appeal took a few weeks with me having to call for updates.

So they increase their premiums from $23 a month when I first started to $40 a month. I paid because I was told this was good insurance by a vet. To only hear from another vet during this current process that they are the worst and never pay. To me, they take your money but are a bogus insurance company that has no intention of ever paying out. So not only did I pay $3500 for a procedure that won't be covered, I also paid a few thousand through the time I have had insurance to not have them accept any claim. DO NOT USE TRUPANION!!! As a side note I never write reviews, so please use caution when buying pet insurance and think multiple times before using Trupanion.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

Trupanion has been absolutely amazing!!! I have had another pet insurance in the past and they never covered at 90% or paid the hospital directly. That is huge plus if you don't have the funds immediately. I decided to get pet insurance on my puppy who is now three. I wanted to make sure he was covered and I'm so thankful I did. He has chronic allergies, ate a sock, and now cracked a tooth. These are all things I didn't know would happen when I got him.

I'm so thankful I have had Trupanion to help me get through these years. A lot of people want to wait until something has already happened to go get insurance last minute and it doesn't work like that. I highly recommend them. They are fast and efficient at claims. They pay hospital directly and cover at 90% after deductible. They also do have a cap on how much is paid out in a year for claims. They are always compassionate about my pets needs. Do your research and compare. Don't get upset if they don't cover pre existing conditions because there isn't a pet insurance that does.

Original review: July 23, 2017

I had purchased a new puppy. Took him to the vet one day after taking possession of the dog for a full physical examination (as required by

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Published: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:4806OCmTbvkJ:https://www.yelp.com/search%3Ffind_desc%3Dlabrador%2Bbreeders%26find_loc%3DBallard%252C%2BSeattle%252C%2BWA+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ph AND https://trupanion-pet-insurance.pissedconsumer.com/misleading-and-unhelpful-201707231078182.html

breeder contract). Received a clean bill of health. Went home, enrolled with Trupanion under their promotional deal offered to me by my veterinarian, which waived the initial registration fee and effectively enrolled my pup immediately. Approximately 6-8 hours later, I had to rush my pup to emergency vet services because he went into respiratory distress and had vomited. He was so sick, he was hospitalized overnight. I come to find out that my pup had developed pneumonia from two infections, Bortadella (even though he has received the vaccination) and Respiratory Corona Virus. The next day, $2,300 later and with a bag full of medicine I was allowed to take my pup back home. I started the claim process with Trupanion.

Three weeks later, after having heard nothing. I find out that the claim had been denied because the dog "possessed symptoms before he was enrolled." When I was in the emergency room with the vet, and asked if I had noticed anything out of the ordinary prior to that evening, I had said that I had noticed that he had some coughing the day before. That was the basis for Trupanion's complete denial of my claim. In a nutshell, I was denied any coverage at all (even though he was examined by my veterinarian just hours before and given a clean bill of health), my hindsight apparently superseded that a licensed veterinarian, who had found nothing unusual at all. For Trupanion to deny me any coverage at all, when a veterinarian didn't even notice that my pup was sick and based on my comment that the day before I noticed that he had coughed is completely underhanded.

I am not a doctor of veterinary medicine. I had no reason to even think that there was anything really wrong with my pup before I brought him in for his physical. I hadn't even mentioned the coughing because it seemed so innocuous that I was never concerned. The vet even put a stethoscope to my dog's chest for breathing and heart rate and detected nothing. My pup went into such respiratory distress so quickly that to this day, I am certain that he would have died that night had I not taken him in immediately.

No one at Trupanion even took a moment to inform me of their decision to reject my claim, and when I called customer service to cancel my policy, I was met with not a word of resistance. These people were not interested in working with me. They were not interested in helping and they were not interested in keeping me as a customer for the next 10 to 15 years. I will never recommend Trupanion to anyone. I feel intentionally deceived by their marketing, and made to feel irrelevant. This was only about the money they made from my premium, and me receiving nothing in return.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I was told that my Vet had this great special for a petcare plan. As a bonus it came with pet insurance with Trupanion. I was told that all pre-existing conditions were waived to get the insurance. I thought it sounded like a great deal, but it was a scam. My 10 year old dog had been denied previously for pet insurance with Trupanion. She had slightly elevated liver enzymes. My vet assured me that it was just how her body was and we would watch it. So for more than 5 years nothing changed. But then one night she started having seizures. I took her to the vet and her liver enzymes were out of control. It was a sad and scary time. I was told it could be a brain tumor causing it, or liver cancer. Not once were any of those words used previously.

I sent in my first claim with Trupanion. They accepted the claim and put the first bills towards the deductible. But then when I sent in a great deal more, they decided to cover some of the bills and not others. If it was $10, covered. But $1000 and it was denied. On one bill for over a thousand they covered $12. I paid thousands of dollars to get the plan going and this was my first claim with the company. And they only cover what they want to cover. Are you kidding me!!! So, Trupanion agrees to accept that she had brain and liver cancer, but not to accept claims for that illness if they went above a certain amount. That's a scam. How can you say it's ok to pay on a claim for just that issue, but tell me it doesn't cover everything with that disease/illness.

They denied medication for pain, because she had taken it in the past for arthritis. Basically telling me that any medication she had used in the past regardless what it was used for couldn't be applied to this claim. I guess I was supposed to know this and to tell my vet what they could and could not prescribe. Then when I appealed they paid a little more on the pain meds. But again, they accept the illness as coverable, but then don't want to cover things outside the rules. I am even mad at my Vet. I felt that based on how they sold The whole wellness plan with that insurance was to get me to pay for something that later they said is "Huge issue with pet insurance plans. They make it very difficult to get things covered and are nothing more than extra work for their clinic." WHAT!!! So the vet knew it was a possible crazy waste of money and yet they pushed it. And then the office manager blames me for having it.

I've been a loyal customer for more than 17 years and I now know I was being lied to. As I said years ago this exact dog was denied due to that liver enzyme. And if it wasn't for this so called benefit to the wellness package, she would have been denied again. Instead they waived it, processed a claim accepting it, but when it was time to pay out big money they ran from it. Telling me the whole time I should know better. Seriously?! I could have saved so much money NOT getting the insurance. I would have been more careful to deny certain things the vet wanted to do with hope that it would help. Instead, I'm stuck with thousands and thousands of nothing but heartache and anger. So, whatever you do, don't waste your money, because this truly is the definition of a scam.

Original review: July 1, 2017

I've had Trupanion pet insurance for my Pug since he was just a little guy, still a puppy. He's now 3 years old and doing great, thankfully. The reason I thought it was important to leave a review for Trupanion at this time is that my company recently started offering Pet insurance (wow, what a great benefit!) through another provider that presented a very compelling presentation at my office last week. I know that of course price is always a compelling factor, it certainly was for me since my family has now grown to 3 dogs. So I started looking into it today, doing my comparison and looking at the total out of pocket, what's covered, etc, etc.

After looking at the total cost of the "wellness" package, it turns out that based on my last year's preventative expenses I'd still be paying more through the new company, Nationwide, than I have been paying out of pocket. (Trupanion doesn't offer preventative care policies). I've been pretty lucky that my dogs are very healthy, but we do have emergencies that come up, so I decided that perhaps I'd just stay with the more traditional "Catastrophe Insurance" as they call it. Nationwide's insurance premium for "emergencies only" coverage is indeed less than Trupanion. Which would mean I could cover all 3 of my dogs pretty easily.

But then I started looking at reviews for Nationwide... not good. Seems a lot of people are having trouble with "pre-existing conditions" getting covered despite some things never having come up in the past. I don't know, I've never tried to file a claim with Nationwide, but I kept remembering the one and only time I had to use Trupanion, last October, and file a claim it was a total breeze. They were so super helpful. I paid the vet out of pocket ($1200) and I think they reimbursed me the full 90% within a week. (after my $100 deductible).

So, let's be honest, pet insurance isn't cheap. I was somewhat attracted to lower premiums, but having a sick pet is stressful. This is your family. I don't want to add fighting with some stupid insurance agent about why they aren't going to pay for something they said they would during the 'sales pitch'. Something else I remember about every time I've spoken with Trupanion agents on the phone..... they ALWAYS ask about my dog. I honestly think they are animal lovers and that makes a difference to me. Anyway, most people write negative reviews (I think that's important too) but on this occasion I wanted to write a positive one. I am staying with Trupanion. A bit more expensive, but in the end my piece of mind and my dog's health are worth it.

Trupanion expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Trupanion is a pet medical insurance company founded by CEO Darryl Rawlings. The company is a founding member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA) and has been publicly traded since July of 2014.

• Dog and cat coverage: With Trupanion, pet owners can get pet medical insurance for both dogs and their cats.

• 90% coverage: The company offers pet owners 90% coverage of actual veterinary costs for all approved pet accidents and illnesses.

• Unlimited lifetime coverage: Trupanion has no limit on the number of accidents, illnesses or years a pet can be covered for.

• Educational information: The company offers pet owners educational information via its website and print materials, which helps give tips for health, nutrition and warning signs for illness.

• Community focused: In addition to providing pet insurance, the company also contributes a lot to community organizations, contributing more than $200,000 to animal welfare programs across the country.

• Best for: Pet owners with dogs and cats, new pet owners and pet owners with rambunctious pets.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky