Trupanion
2.62/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

Trupanion Reviews

Need a pet insurance provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Trupanion Reviews

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

We got the insurance for 2 pets 6 years ago...one being 7 and the other about 8 weeks at the time. The younger one was very sick for 2 years and needed really expensive food. That allowance runs out after 2 months. He eventually got well and has needed little care since. The older one developed Cushing's...for which twice annual testing and monthly medication was very expensive. We got our premiums back big time on her. Trupanion even sent a sympathy card to us when she died 3 weeks ago. They pay promptly and are very easy to work with. But no exams and no routine care are covered. Premiums for my old girl were at $96/mo which I did not think unreasonable for a 13 year old. It's like all insurance. You are paying the premium in case you need it. One ACL repair on our girl was $2100, we paid $100 deductible for new diagnosis, then they covered 90%.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I have had Trupanion for my Pomeranian for 6 years. This insurance has been awesome and has more than paid for itself in the last 2 years alone. I don’t understand the negative reviews. Yes the premiums go up every year but so did all the other pet insurance companies. If your pet isn’t enrolled in Vet pay, you will receive reimbursement for your claims within 3 days. They have NEVER denied any of our claims and we have had many in just the last 2 years. Probably more than most claims in 2 years than most people have in the lifetime of their pet. I am so thankful we have Trupanion for our fur baby.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: June 13, 2019

My dog was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor and needed surgery and further treatment. I was reluctant since this was my 1st claim and didn’t know what to expect. All I can tell you is wow I submitted my 1st claim and within 2 weeks I got reimbursed for 90% - my deductible, after that it was 3 days. Trupanion is a great company. I will recommend them to family and friends. Such a peace of mind knowing your little babies are covered. Thanks Trupanion!!!

Original review: April 11, 2019

For over 12 years Trupanion Canada has been by my side through anything my dog had to go through. Reimbursements were in my account within 2 weeks of submitting and I never had a problem with my claims. After her passing, Trupanion was still there to help and I even got a handwritten sympathy card from them. I strongly recommend going with Trupanion. Thank you Trupanion.

Original review: March 25, 2019

We have had Trupanion for both our dog (8 years) and our cat (5 years). In January, our cat became severely ill, and a referral was made by our local vet to a specialty clinic. He was in Critical Care there for 5 days, had numerous ultrasounds, lab tests, a blood transfusion, a bone marrow biopsy, and had to have a feeding tube inserted. Yesterday, we had to take him back in for an infection at the feeding tube site. To date, Trupanion has been nothing but great! We have the 90/10 plan with a $100 deductible. Our bills to date have totaled almost $17K and Trupanion has paid 90% of those bills, excluding exams (yes, even including the ICU exams) and state taxes. We will have a big decision to make in the next day or so, but at least cost consideration will not have to play a role in whether to euthanize or not.

People complain about the cost. Yes, it's high (we pay $113/month for both our pets). No, they don't cover exams (which I wish they did, especially in emergency situations). No, they don't pay for preventive care (but our local vet offers those types of plans, so maybe people should check with their vets & see if such plans are available). But when the chips are down, they came through with prompt payment and kindness in dealing with us. I see a lot of bad reviews here, but I have to admit that I simply don't get it. If you have something catastrophic happen like we've had happen, you realize how worth it the insurance is.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

If your cat or dog has any pre-conditions prior to obtaining Trupanion insurance, they will steal your premiums on a monthly basis. When you file a claim they will not pay!!! They will make some incredible reach of how that pre-condition is the cause for your current illness. You can call me at ** to discuss!! My name is Sam and I will save you a lot of money and pain!!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

My vet has to perform a surgery on my years old baby because she had a growth on her neck. We submitted all her medical record for the surgery. And Trupanion requests all her medical records dating back to few years ago, unrelated to her surgery. We provided them all the vets info and they still requested more. We were exhausted with their requests and decided to pay for the surgery ourselves and cancel this so-called insurance.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

In the 5+ years that I have paid for this insurance, I have had 95% of my claims denied. I did appeal several of them and it got pretty ugly, but they finally paid out on a couple. Till this day, they rule "pre-existing condition" or not covered for everything. They basically don't pay for anything. They should just tell out that you are going to pay a lot of money for them, but they will never pay you back, and if you get close, you have to pay your deductible first before ever getting a reimbursement. They suck!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

This company sales representatives misrepresent what their insurance covers and do not honor their 30 trial and total refund policy. They take 30 days just respond to a claim. They have the Worst Customer Service I have EVER seen!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I had an absolutely awful experience with this company. Just like most bad reviews of insurance companies, yes, this did center around a claim that was not paid out. I will not go over the exact details. But to summarize, my veterinarian took the time to write a full page letter stating that there was no way to test or diagnose my dog's ailment until he was 1 year or older. Therefore, there was no way to consider this a pre existing condition. There is a lot larger story to this. And while my goal at the time was just just meet my deductible for the year in case anything else happened, it came clear to me that any potential future submitted claims with this company would be a fight to get compensation.

I decided to cancel my plan, and look elsewhere for coverage. When I called to cancel my plan (there is no way to cancel plan through the website), I was put on hold and transferred to a "specialist." I told her that I wanted to cancel my plan and had one question (it was in regards to timing of when plan coverage would end when I cancelled), Instead of cancelling the plan, the lady pulled up my file and started arguing with my claim and what my veterinarian stated. She even had the audacity to say her vet told her something completely opposite. She went on to say that we wouldn't be covered on anything like this with another insurer (which is silly to say because of course we will not be. Since the ailment has already happened, it is "pre-existing" and I know that those conditions are not covered, for obvious reasons).

I let the lady go on, doing my best to not let my frustration get to me. When she said that she wanted to make sure "she" (referring to my dog) got the best coverage (my Dog's name is Roscoe and is a male), I corrected her, confirmed my coverage was cancelled and hung up the phone. If this is the way this company does business, NOBODY should give them theirs. I am more than happy to provide any more details on my terrible experience with Trupanion, whether that be sharing the email correspondence we've had, my vet's letter, etc. I just want people to know that they should look elsewhere to protect their furry loved ones.

Trupanion expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Trupanion is a pet medical insurance company founded by CEO Darryl Rawlings. The company is a founding member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA) and has been publicly traded since July of 2014.

• Dog and cat coverage: With Trupanion, pet owners can get pet medical insurance for both dogs and their cats.

• 90% coverage: The company offers pet owners 90% coverage of actual veterinary costs for all approved pet accidents and illnesses.

• Unlimited lifetime coverage: Trupanion has no limit on the number of accidents, illnesses or years a pet can be covered for.

• Educational information: The company offers pet owners educational information via its website and print materials, which helps give tips for health, nutrition and warning signs for illness.

• Community focused: In addition to providing pet insurance, the company also contributes a lot to community organizations, contributing more than $200,000 to animal welfare programs across the country.

• Best for: Pet owners with dogs and cats, new pet owners and pet owners with rambunctious pets.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky