3.7/5 (301 ratings)

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

About Trupanion

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of customers’ vet bills for their dogs and cats, with no maximum payout limits. It sets lifetime deductibles for every condition, so there is no need to reach a new deductible every year for long-term conditions. Trupanion also pays veterinarians directly, simplifying the process for consumers. Though many consumers are unhappy with their high premiums, the broad coverage justifies the cost for many pet owners.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Direct payment to veterinarians
    • 90% coverage
    • No payout limits

Cons

• High premiums

Bottom Line

Trupanion pet insurance offers deductibles based on individual conditions, along with customizable coverage and a variety of deductible options.

Top Trupanion Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Trupanion was a lifesaver. When both my dogs had serious medical issues at the same time, I had $10,000 in vet bills. Trupanion paid most of it. I was able to take care of them wi...

Verified

My dog was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor and needed surgery and further treatment... I submitted my 1st claim and within 2 weeks I got reimbursed for 90% minus my deductible in...

What is Trupanion?

Trupanion offers both dog insurance and cat insurance. With Trupanion, all customers receive one simple plan that makes clear what’s covered and what’s not.

Trupanion plans cover all unexpected injuries and illnesses, reimbursing customers for 90% of their vet bills without payout limits once they’ve met their deductibles. Trupanion’s customer service team also lessens billing hassles by paying veterinarians directly. Once you’ve enrolled, Trupanion’s waiting period for injury coverage is five days, which is shorter than the industry standard of 14 days. However, the waiting period before it covers treating any illnesses is 30 days.

Trupanion pet insurance plans

Trupanion pet health insurance offers just one type of plan, although it’s applicable to both cats and dogs. Trupanion’s pet insurance plan is more expensive than many of its competitors', but the plan is comprehensive and rates are fixed for the entire length of the policy. With Trupanion’s lifetime, per-condition deductible, customers save more in the long run for chronic conditions, too.

What does Trupanion cover?

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of the cost to treat any new illness or condition that your pet experiences during the policy’s term. Trupanion’s preexisting conditions policy is similar to other companies’, meaning it does not cover any illness, injury or condition that your pet had before enrollment. You have to wait at least five days to get coverage for injury treatment and 30 days for illness care.

The company covers 90% of the cost of hereditary diseases, unidentified issues and congenital illnesses that are not preexisting conditions. This includes health problems that many other providers don’t cover, including:

• Hip dysplasia
    • Vitamins and supplements
    • Dental illness
    • Orthopedic issues

How much does Trupanion pet insurance cost?

Trupanion dog insurance costs between $36 and $100 per month for most breeds, and Trupanion cat insurance costs between $23 and $57 per month. With Trupanion, pet owners can customize their coverage with a deductible up to $1,000, along with coverage enhancements, such as recovery care and pet owner assistance. Coverage enhancements add a few dollars to your premium every month.

Trupanion pet insurance plans include lifetime, per-condition deductibles instead of annual deductibles, meaning customers don’t have to keep paying year after year for a chronic condition. Once you’ve met the deductible for your pet’s condition, you’ll never have to pay the deductible again to treat it.

Trupanion does not offer a discount for multiple pets, but it does have a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied.

Trupanion FAQ

Does Trupanion cover cancer?
    Trupanion animal insurance does cover cancer as long as it was not diagnosed before the beginning of the policy or within the waiting period.
    Does Trupanion cover vaccinations?
    No, Trupanion’s pet health insurance plan does not cover vaccinations. It only covers unexpected expenses, which don’t include wellness care, like vaccinations or preventive medications.
    How long does it take to complete a claim with Trupanion pet insurance?
    While Trupanion doesn’t say how long its claim process lasts, many reviewers who pay at the time of visit mention getting reimbursed within two weeks.
    Does Trupanion cover blood work?
    It depends. If the blood work is routine, Trupanion pet insurance does not cover it. However, if it’s unexpected, it is covered.
    Does Trupanion cover neutering?
    Like most pet insurance companies, Trupanion does not cover the cost of neutering.

Is Trupanion worth it?

Trupanion is a pet insurance company offering a wide variety of coverage and convenience benefits. Trupanion pays 90% of your vet bills with no maximum limit, and it doesn’t raise annual rates. To save you money, the company also sets lifetime, per-condition deductibles and cuts out the middleman by paying veterinarians directly. However, Trupanion’s monthly premiums are still pricier than its competitors', so this company is best for customers who want more coverage and benefits and are willing to pay for it.

Trupanion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

Always have to dispute their decisions, which includes contacting a vet so they can write a letter. Never processed a claim without fighting with them. No matter what the issue is they always try to find a way to tie it to something that he had prior to the policy (e.g. hematoma in his ear – well he had otitis 10 years ago so that’s a preexisting condition, hemorrhaging and vomiting blood – well he was vomiting 10 years ago so that’s preexisting). Put your money in your savings account to pay your future vet bill instead of throwing it away by paying those scammers. Lastly, the premiums tripled since we signed up initially, despite the fact that we were assured that ensured won’t go up with our dog’s age.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

I have had Trupanion pet insurance since 2015. First, my two cats were enrolled. At the age of about 6-8 years, one of my cats developed a terrible ear infection related to allergies. Trupanion would not reimburse me for vet bills claiming that the condition was preexisting. Since my cat was older, I believed in Trupanion and accepted their explanation for not providing monetary compensation for vet expenses.

In 2019, I purchased a baby standard poodle less than 3 months old. To complete the purchase and receive a copy of his papers, a vet had to give my poodle, Sir, a clean bill of health. As this task was completed, I enrolled him in the Trupanion pet health insurance program. On his wellness visit, the vet tech plucked my dog's ears. A week later I brought my poodle back to the vet, and he then had a bilateral ear infection. Sir was treated and did not have any other medical problems until after the 30-day grace period when the full policy was in effect.

Over the 3 years that I have had my poodle, he has had ear infections, scratchy skin, and some diarrhea. It was not until the beginning of 2021 that I learned that plucking a dog's ears can actually cause infections. I did not send my claims for vet care compensation to Trupanion within the 30 to 90 day period that they request as I have been very ill with Covid, anemia, an electrolyte imbalance, and an allergic response to something in my backyard.

When I did finally submit my claims earlier this year, reviewers immediately denied claims. I had to get one vet to write a statement that ear infections, eye infections, red lips, and diarrhea are all signs and symptoms of one disorder-allergies. The Trupanion claim analysts tried to say that each condition was separate.

Then, they asserted that my allergy claim was preexisting because Sir had an ear infection after the vet plucked his ears during the wellness visit. For a second time, I had to get the vet from that center to write a statement acknowledging that his assistant plucked my dog's ears and that this likely caused him to have the ear infection. After Sir's initial ear infection, my dog did not have another medical problem until the 30-day grace period was up. Yet, Trupanion refuses to cover my dog's monthly allergy shots.

I attempted to get help from a state agency in Atlanta, Georgia. However, after submitting my claim, the representative essentially told me that they are not lawyers and they do not have the authority to do very much. In this case, my representative wrote up my side and Trupanion's side of the issue, but nothing was resolved.

Please read the reviews on Consumer Affairs. I do not see any good reviews about Trupanion since 2018. These claim analysts are in a position of authority, and they look for ways to deny financial reimbursement to the customer. I have had Trupanion pet health insurance since 2015, and it was a huge mistake on my part. From this time forward, I will save money every month for pet health issues. I have stopped my contract with Trupanion this evening.

This is not a caring or compassionate company. This is an organization that is out to make a profit. Regardless of your pet's medical injury or illness, their claim analysts will call the shots and interpret vet records whatever way they see fit. If you look at the Trupanion website, they encourage people to enroll their pets when they are babies and before they have medical conditions. That is exactly what I did, and yet they have asserted that my poodle's allergy symptoms are preexisting.

I am a nurse, and I have medical knowledge. It is not difficult to read the notes written by people at a vet's office. Sir's allergies were not preexisting. Trupanion claim analysts simply do not want to pay for my dog's allergy shots. Shame on this organization for not having senior stockholders who will read these reviews and investigate on their own. As I wrote in the beginning, Run for your life away from Trupanion!

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2021

I purchased Pet Insurance for my 1 year old newly adopted dog in 2010. It was $34.00 per month and they said they would not raise the premium based on their age. They raised the premium steadily, year after year, so that I'm now paying $80.00+ per month. Their reason is the cost of vet services in my area. When there is an illness or injury, they carefully pick through which part of it is not covered, so if they examine your pet due to the injury or illness, that is not covered.

My dog had a broken tooth and abscess so I took her to a dental veterinarian specialist I was referred to. The bill was over $3,500 but Trupanion excluded things like x-ray and exam that was needed before they took the tooth out. I got back $600.00 only. If my dog wasn't 12 years old, I might have switched to another company but by now, I'm stuck. Next time I will self-insure - just put a little aside every month in case of problems which usually happen later in life anyway. I've literally spent thousands with no return other than $600.00. I feel like I was duped.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

Obviously your experience will depend on your deductible, breed of dog and location, but my experience was extremely disappointing. We have an Old English Bulldog in Southern California and the monthly price was prohibitively expensive. My policy was $98.50 a month for a $500 deductible with the standard 90/10 split.

If our dog lived to be 7 years old and then had an illness, that's $8400 that we would pay in premiums, then add the $500 deductible would make it to where we would have to accrue nearly $10,000 in medical bills before the policy paid for itself. Conversely, we continue to pay for a wellness plan with another company that reduces office visit costs, covered spay, flea medication, and reduces diagnostic fees. I understand that there are situations that would require this kind of money for treatment, but it is just too much to be spending monthly for, what could end up, being nothing in return. Again, your experiences may be different, but we just could not find a way to afford the monthly expense and Trupanion had no interest in helping us find a more affordable option.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

Unfortunately, 0 stars wasn't an option... I have worked at a vet clinic for 10+ years and did a lot of research on pet insurance. Trupanion was the one I chose because they offer a lifetime deductible per incident of the pet. I have recommended them to hundreds of clients over the years. That's how much I believed in this company. Mind you they only cover 90% after your deductible of non preventative things. So they don't cover exam fees, they don't cover vaccinations, or wellness visits, and they don't cover dental cleanings. I was all aware of that when I signed up.

My problem arose when my dog developed a food sensitivity (after 5 years of paying their deductibles) to her food. Her Vet put her on a PRESCRIPTION (aka can't get without a Dr.s Rx) dog food. I just found out that oh they conveniently don't cover PRESCRIPTION dog food for more than 2 months (before I could even pay off my deductible). I am beyond disappointed with this snake of a company. I really thought, "Wow I'm so glad I have Trupanion for my pup. It really did pay off to have insurance for all these years." Then the denial letter came in... Unbelievable!!!!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

Don't expect them to cover anything! They don't cover ANY exam fees even if it's an emergency visit and they only cover dental costs if your pet has a dental exam every 12 months. Absolute garbage. I am cancelling today and going to a different pet insurance.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

We recently signed up for Trupanion pet insurance when we purchased a new pure breed Maine Coon kitten. We were told the first month of coverage came with our kitten purchase and we activated the coverage with Trupanion the day we picked up our kitten. Our breeder had told us she was treating our kitten for a “little bit of a kitten cold,” which we disclosed to our vet as he had been on an antibiotic prior to us picking him up. She also told us she was treating the other cats in her cattery.

When we took him to our vet for his required wellness exam, our veterinarian discovered with an x-ray that he had a severe diaphragmatic hernia that involved his liver and all of his intestines. We proceeded with surgery that was required to save his life, but have gone over 7K in debt. The "kitten cold" became part of his vet records and Trupanion has now denied our claim on the basis we knew there was something wrong with him when we activated his policy. Certainly all the cats in the cattery did not have this condition. A “kitten cold” is a far cry from a diaphragmatic hernia.

Our vet and the surgeon both spoke with Trupanion on our behalf and our claim is still denied. Our breeder has done nothing to help us and Trupanion has been equally unhelpful. I would highly recommend spending your money with another pet insurance company. Trupanion is clearly all about the bottom line and not honoring their clients. We planned to be long time Trupanion customers, but that is no longer the case!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

This company is a total scam, don’t waste your money! I had 2 Yorkies that passed away at 17 years old. Over the years, medical problems arose and I paid huge amounts of money for their care. When I got 2 new puppies this year and my Vet recommended them stating they were great and paid for everything, I figured it would be wise to insure the new pups. They cover NOTHING! Everything, no matter when it happens in your pet’s life will be denied as a “pre-existing condition”. I have 3 policies for 3 different dogs and I’m out thousands of dollars in Vet bills - they have literally covered $0.

No matter how insignificant the problem, they will find a way to deny your claims stating it’s a pre-existing condition. Ear infections, vomiting, diarrhea, etc... You better pray your pet only gets it once in their life, because they’ll consider it pre-existing and never pay. To add insult to injury, I’m getting the run around about canceling my 3 policies and I’m currently waiting for a call back from a Manager - which I’m not holding my breath on. I’ve paid well over $1000 in premiums, and they’ve covered nothing. I can’t stress this enough - they will NOT cover anything - it’s a SCAM!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

This review should be enough to keep anyone from trusting these crooks. I've been a Trupanion customer for about five years. During this time, my two cats both developed new issues that Trupanion was happy to cover, and this was after they did a full comprehensive medical review on both the animals. This past month Trupanion made rule changes to their policy that now states they are reclassifying this condition as a pre-existing condition for these cats. Not because they discovered new information about my cats, and not because of any error of my own. Basically they were saying that if I tried to get insurance for the cats in 2016 again, their new policy would have identified them as having a pre-existing condition. But it's not 2016, it is 2021. Now that we are several years into the agreement, they are saying the new condition that appeared during these years is actually a pre-existing condition now.

And if they do this once, what's to say they won't do it again? I understand they may want to change their terms, but my pets should have been grandfathered in. And I've talked spoke with their customer rep and they agreed it was basically, yeah, kind of a crappy thing they did, but oh well, nothing to do about it. I'm dipping out of Trupanion. Their rates are already too high for what they cover (you can get the same stuff for cheaper from Pets Best + extra options). Obviously the new insurance I get will classify my cats' condition as pre-existing, but I'd rather find an honest company than one that will stab me in the back later.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

Trupanion is not cost effective when you’ve got a large group of pets, especially when you factor in wellness checkups, dentals, bloodwork, etc. If you have a lot of rescues, like I do, steer clear. My policy costs continue to rise every year and I’ve used them for two emergencies over the course of the last 6 years. I’ve had to raise my deductible to keep my policies somewhat affordable. They say they don’t raise your policy based on age, but they raise your policy costs in other ways, so it comes out to be the same as if the policy increased due to your pet’s age. Especially now with the pandemic, with people not making as much as before, or even having a job at all, it’s difficult trying to cover your pet if something happens… and you don’t know so you continue paying the increasing policy costs.

I don’t understand why there aren’t more insurance companies, doctors and veterinarians, who would take these things into consideration. I wish they covered more with their policies, but to me, they are just another insurance company, nothing special. If you have a sickly pet, this company is for you, but if you have a large 4 legged family, as I do, steer clear.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Pet Insurance partner.

Trupanion Company Information