Trupanion

Trupanion

3.2/5 (192 ratings)

About Trupanion

For over 20 years, Trupanion pet insurance has offered comprehensive dog and cat insurance. It covers 90% of customers’ vet bills for accidents, illnesses, injuries, surgeries, hospital stays and many other costly vet visits. Trupanion does not cap payout limits to ensure your pet’s health needs are met. It sets lifetime deductibles for every condition, so there is no need to reach a new deductible every year for long-term conditions. Trupanion also pays veterinarians directly, simplifying the process for consumers. Pet owners can also purchase additional coverage (Recovery and Complementary Care package) for services like acupuncture, chiropractic treatment and hydrotherapy.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Direct payment to veterinarians
    • 90% coverage
    • No payout limits
    • Lifetime per-incident deductible

Cons

• No discount for multiple pets
    • No coverage for routine wellness

Bottom Line

Trupanion pet insurance offers deductibles based on individual conditions, along with customizable coverage and a variety of deductible options.

Top Trupanion Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion USA?

Verified

Trupanion was a lifesaver. When both my dogs had serious medical issues at the same time, I had $10,000 in vet bills. Trupanion paid most of it. I was able to take care of them wi...

Verified

My dog was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor and needed surgery and further treatment... I submitted my 1st claim and within 2 weeks I got reimbursed for 90% minus my deductible in...

What is Trupanion?

Trupanion offers both dog insurance and cat insurance. With Trupanion, all customers receive one simple plan that makes clear what’s covered and what’s not.

Trupanion plans cover all unexpected injuries and illnesses, reimbursing customers for 90% of their vet bills without payout limits once they’ve met their deductibles. Trupanion’s customer service team also lessens billing hassles by paying veterinarians directly.

Once you’ve enrolled, Trupanion’s waiting period for injury coverage is five days, which is shorter than the industry standard of 14 days. However, the waiting period before it covers treating any illnesses is 30 days.

Trupanion plans

Trupanion pet health insurance offers just one type of plan, although it’s applicable to both cats and dogs. Trupanion’s pet insurance plan is more expensive than many of its competitors', but the plan is comprehensive, and rates don’t automatically increase as your pet ages. With Trupanion’s lifetime, per-condition deductible, customers save more in the long run for chronic conditions, too.

What does Trupanion cover?

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of the cost to treat any new illness or condition that your pet experiences during the policy’s term. Its policies do not cover preexisting conditions, including any illness, injury or condition that your pet had before enrollment.

You have to wait at least five days to get coverage for injury treatment and 30 days for illness care. This is why it’s a good idea to enroll your pet while it’s young and healthy, before anything potentially serious and costly happens.

The company covers 90% of the cost of hereditary diseases, unidentified issues and congenital illnesses that are not preexisting conditions. This includes health problems that many other providers don’t cover, including:

• Hip dysplasia
    • Vitamins and supplements
    • Dental illness
    • Orthopedic issues

How much does Trupanion cost?

Trupanion dog insurance costs between $36 and $100 per month for most breeds, and Trupanion cat insurance costs between $23 and $57 per month. With Trupanion, pet owners can customize their coverage with a deductible up to $1,000 and add coverage enhancements, such as recovery care and pet owner assistance. Coverage enhancements add a few dollars to your premium every month.

Trupanion pet insurance plans include lifetime, per-condition deductibles instead of annual deductibles, meaning customers don’t have to keep paying year after year for a chronic condition. Once you’ve met the deductible for your pet’s condition, you’ll never have to pay the deductible again to treat it.

Trupanion does not offer a discount for multiple pets, but it does have a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied.

Trupanion FAQ

What is not covered?

Exam fees, taxes, wellness and preventive care and preexisting conditions are not covered. For an additional cost, you can purchase the Recovery and Complementary Care rider to cover alternative therapies and treatments.

Does Trupanion cover vaccinations?

No, Trupanion’s pet health insurance plan does not cover vaccinations. It only covers unexpected expenses, which don’t include wellness care, like vaccinations or preventive medications.

How long does it take to complete a claim with Trupanion pet insurance?

If your vet uses Trupanion’s software, Trupanion can directly pay the vet in minutes. You can ask if your veterinary clinic or hospital uses it. For reimbursement, the claims team processes the majority of claims within 24 hours, keeping you informed throughout the process. Many reviewers who pay at the time of visit mention getting reimbursed within two weeks.

Does Trupanion cover bloodwork?

It depends. If the bloodwork is routine, Trupanion pet insurance does not cover it. However, if it’s required as part of treatment for a covered illness or injury, it is covered.

Does Trupanion cover neutering?

Like most pet insurance companies, Trupanion does not cover the cost of neutering.

Is Trupanion worth it?

Trupanion is a pet insurance company offering a wide variety of coverage and convenience benefits. It has decades of experience, covers over 500,000 pets and has paid out over $1 billion in claims paid.  We recommend getting a quote and comparing coverage and cost with offers from other pet insurers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion USA?

Original review: June 17, 2022

I have been with Trupanion for seven years. Over that time I have paid over 15 thousand in premiums for two dogs. I have attempted three claims which my Vet said should be legitimately covered. They have not paid, even with the latest clear cut dental surgery. When you call on the phone they are the nicest and try and placate you assuring you all will be taken care of. It never is. I do not know how they are legally allowed to do business this way. I think people get misled by the brochures in their vet's office. Our vet caught on and no longer displays them. I think many of us stick with them like a gambling addiction because we are in so deep. That is a good description based on how they do business , basically buy a lottery ticket. Buyer beware, this is an institutionally supported ripoff.

Original review: June 11, 2022

TL/DR: Company takes extreme approach to pre-existing conditions making connections that aren't reasonable just to avoid paying out. Example: Ear infection claim denied because in the notes the vet noted that I stated (me, not the vet) that my dog sometimes itched, which I thought was pointing to some underskin discomfort from her HOD, explained below). They made the connection that my statement that she was itchy sometimes likely meant that she had allergies, which likely caused the ear infection two years later. I can't make this up.

Purchased pet insurance on dog at 8 weeks old or younger. Two years later, filed my first claim as my dog started limping for an unknown reason on one foot, and also seemed to have an ear issue on the same side. Vet (same vet that did the insurability health check on my dog two years prior and the same vet that she has seen multiple times since then for regular health checks/vaccines) recommended X-Ray on shoulder where tenderness was to rule out displasia or shoulder OCD (which is where cartilage comes detached from bone). Vet required standard mild sedation for ear cleaning for ear infection and xrays and prescribed some mild pain meds for shoulder and ear infection medicine. X-Ray was negative which resulted in the vet concluding that this was a soft tissue damage (should must have run into something when playing with another dog perhaps).

Two years prior (when my dog was less than 8 weeks old), her whole body was in pain. Vet believes this was HOD (where puppies' bones grow too fast or something and blood supply to growth plates and makes it a very painful, or even deadly experience, for a puppy). HOD affected the entire body, and typically goes away after puppy stages. Given this history, I asked the vet if there was any way any of the items she was being seen for today had anything to do with the HOD she experienced as a puppy. She said no. (Pain in joint vs along the long bone, and a few other reasons). And then obviously they never have known her as a puppy to have ear infections nor saw anything that would lead them to believe there was a pre-existing condition at 8 weeks of a pre-existing condition for ear infections.

Both claims 100% denied. Shoulder pain claim denied on the fact that she had pains when she was 6-7 weeks old (no other logic connecting the underlying cause of the pain to current pain). Ear infection denied because in the notes the vet noted that I stated (me, not the vet) that she sometimes itched, which I thought was pointing to some underskin discomfort from her HOD. They made the connection that my statement that she was itchy sometimes likely meant that she had allergies, which likely caused the ear infection 2 years later. I've paid this company close to $3,000 over the last 2 years and this is the first claim experience I've had. Avoid this company at all costs unless your pre-inspection report is SUPER CLEAN.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2022

I am a 10 YEAR CUSTOMER with multiple pets so listen VERY CAREFULLY. TRUPANION FACTS:

1) Raises premiums every year with or without claims. I have been lucky with my pets as I have not had many claims. I have 1 large claim and now comes the denial for a covered illness. I have spent 20,000 dollars in premiums over 10 years!
      2) Only small claims written out very carefully by your vet without any vague terms will be paid.
      3) They add exclusions to your policy as they receive an increase of claims in that area so they don’t have payouts.
      4) Any Appeal you do is just to give you a false impression that the outcome will change. It’s just to get rid of a furious customer for a few weeks. They try to drag it out until you give up on the claim.
      5) Their business model is fake compassion to take advantage of animal lovers and rescuers. The only pure love a human can receive is from an animal and TRUPANION VULTURES are there to exploit the kind souls that love animals.
      6) TRUPANION is like a SHADY homeowner insurance company that would deny paying a roof claim and close up shop after a hurricane.

7) TRUPANION is a MISLEADING FALSE ADVERTISING business model.

Original review: April 27, 2022

Trupanion Canada has honoured the terms of service in a timely, uncomplicated way. Unlike human insurance they do not make you jump through hoops. My dog became ill and after the agreed deductible, she is covered. My Vet's office submits the expenses, Trupanion Canada acknowledges receipt to me by email and then follows up with decision breakdown in an easy to read summary. Payment is deposited in my bank account or sent to me by cheque. Thank you Trupanion. You are helping me give my dog the care she deserves!

Original review: April 20, 2022

After paying $2500/ year and asking for help after 4 years of paying, they would not help. No other comments, totally disappointed. Canceling my policy for 2 pets. I needed help with my 1.2 years old GS for neutering with testicles not dropped (stuck in the abdomen) not a regular neutering. I would never ask for help if it would be a regular issue.

Original review: April 13, 2022

2 yr old Labrador Retriever, vomiting 1 week, declined treatment and diagnostics (ultrasound for foreign body) because at 4 months the puppy was eating some leaves and it was noted in the pet's chart. They refused to cover any of the diagnostic costs, because they claim it is a "preexisting condition". People try to do the right thing for their pets, and pay a lot of money for this corporation, which is a big scam. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Original review: March 16, 2022

Started paying premium when my puppy was 3 months old. A year later, had to get a non-cancerous tumor removed. They said it was a pre-existing condition from before I started a policy. What a scam. Avoid at all costs.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

I have paid for Trupanion for three years. With three dogs I paid close to $200 a month. As other have shared, they have repeatedly and continually increased prices. The last notice I received two weeks ago had the rates going up 20% on each pet for the third time. We also unfortunately lost our girl to cancer and she had many health issues caused because of the cancer due to her declining health. Instead of paying any portion of her many costly vet bills, Trupanion used the deductible of $1000 for every line item, thus never paying out a dime for any of her care although it all related to the same thing, Cancer.

They had many $1000 deductibles off the same claim as the doctor listed on the same invoice multiple diagnosis such as UTI, cancer, cyst, and each one created a $1000 deductible and they claimed each $1000 was our responsibility per policy. They paid nothing on her cancer issues and all the health problems cancer can cause. I will never use them again and highly recommend others to not ever use Trupanion. They are far too expensive, do not care about you and your pet, and do not want to pay the claims. It's apparent they have found loopholes so they can figure out ways to not pay your claims. Avoid at all cost unless your goal is to just lose your money as there will never be a payout for your pet's health coverage.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

We got Trupanion when we got our puppy thinking that Golden Retrievers are high risk for all sorts of issues. We started off paying $26.76/mo. with a $1,000 deductible when she was 1 year old. A year later, they upped it to $31.90. A year after that, another bump to $33.85. A month later, they upped it again to $34.72. 6-1/2 years later, we're paying $37.89. Our dog is doing great, but had a lump on her back and a growth in her mouth and discoloration on her nose. We took her to the Vet to get them checked out, and they gave us an estimate which we sent to Trupanion. Over $1000 bill and said they wouldn't pay a thing.

We had the surgery done, sent them our receipt, again, true to their word, they didn't pay. We've paid over $3000 in monthly payments and when we needed them, they wouldn't pay. We're canceling our subscription and not throwing more money after bad. It's a scam. Don't fall for it. Save the money you would otherwise pay Trupanion and use it when you need it. Up to this point we would have had to have over $4300 in medical bills for our dog just to break EVEN. And even then they pay only 90% of costs after that leaving you with paying 10% for the remainder of the medical. And if a DIFFERENT condition comes up, then you have to start all over again with the $1000 deductible. It's a scam. Don't pay. I'd give negative 5 stars if I could.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2022

With Trupanion, be prepared to have your rates massively increased as your pets hit age milestones. They start out at the puppy age saying to get on with them early to avoid the big hikes down the road. However, once they hit age milestones that make it difficult to switch, they start hitting you with the rate hikes. We’ve had multiple rate hikes exceeding 20% year over year. They want to get your in early, then price you out when you actually get to the age that there is some risk where you might need the insurance. They give a bunch of lies that it’s about new treatments and options, but you won’t necessarily see it in your area. Bunch of corporate ** when they’re just stabbing you in the back.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Pet Insurance partner.

Trupanion Company Information