Trupanion
1.53/5
Based on 41 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a pet insurance provider?

Trupanion Reviews

61 Trupanion Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 25, 2018

I decided to leave Trupanion because, like others have said, I did the math. When I called to cancel, they offered a lower rate which is nice, but I declined. The person I spoke with then used guilt and high pressure tactics to try to convince me to stay. I politely and firmly said no. I do not mind doing this once, but having to repeatedly say no and his very judgmental tone was excessive. I told him it was a financial decision and not an emotional one, since he was clearly playing on my emotions.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I am over the moon with Trupanion, it saved my little Cookie this past year. I don’t know what I would have done without it. She had two back to back TPLO surgeries for injuries to her CCL on both legs, she wasn’t able to walk. They paid 90% of her 15k bills minus my deductible. Years ago after a very expensive surgery for one of my other dogs, I began researching pet insurance. Out of all the options, I found Trupanion to be the best. I will never be without this insurance. People have to understand preexisting conditions. One of my dogs has a heart condition that was diagnosed prior to my getting Trupanion, it’s simple, that’s a preexisting condition.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 20, 2018

DO NOT give this company your hard earned money. They find any and every reason not to pay claims. They will go back to records from when your dog was a puppy and claim pre existing conditions. If your vet runs any tests to rule out a condition and notes that they think it could be something and your pet tests negative or never develops the condition, they used that as pre existing and refuse to pay. Cancelled my policy on my 2 dogs. Could have used that money to pay the vet directly. They guys are CON ARTISTS, just living large on your dime. RUN from this company.

Original review: May 19, 2018

We bought Trupanion Pet Insurance for our first rescue Dachshund several years ago. Soon after acquiring her, we began to suspect that she was deaf which was confirmed by a specialist. We submitted a claim for the tests and they were denied as a pre-existing condition. At the time we went along with the declination because it was clear that unbeknownst to us, she had been deaf when we acquired her. We acquired a second rescue Dachshund in the very last stages of being cured of heart worms in September 2017. We covered her under our Trupanion policy in mid October. On October 31 she appeared nauseated and we took her to our vet who gave her a shot for nausea. That reoccurred a number of times over several months. During that time she was placed on special diets and the vet made notes about several possible diagnoses she was concerned about.

More recently she began having diarrhea and then bloody diarrhea so we took her to a specialist who performed a number of expensive tests. We submitted all of our bills as a claim and Trupanion converted them nine different claims. Two days later we received nine declinations all stating pre-existing condition as the reason. Trupanion requested all medical records as far back as we had them from every vet that had ever treated our pet. Within 2 days they denied every single claim based on the fact that she had been nauseated and refused eat in mid October, they further noted that she had been placed on a special diet and that the doctor was concerned about the possibility of the beginnings of pancreatitis. Their declinations made it clear that their methodology is to review the entire history of the pet and if they can find anything which can possibly be related to the current problem, then they deny the claim as a pre-existing condition.

They also said that they do not pay for examinations at anytime for any reason. Needless to say we were not happy and have canceled our policy. We are now having our bank transfer the $135 a month we were paying for our premium to a separate account - in essence setting up our own insurance fund. The premiums we wasted paying Trupanion would have covered our dogs' medical expenses. We wish we had read the reviews from ConsumerAffairs.com prior to purchasing Trupanion Pet Insurance. I think you’d only be safe if you purchase a new puppy and cover it immediately. Any adult rescue dog will almost certainly have exhibited symptoms over its life which could lead to a declination based on a pre-existing condition. Don’t waste your money.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Do not give these thieves your money. They will not cover anything, they will look at any reason not to cover your pet. They will sit there and just collect monthly fees until you realize they are ripping you off. Just pay out of the pocket for your pet.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: May 8, 2018

This is my honest review and please read till the end! I actually had a great experience with Trupanion. My premiums did go up, so I decided to stick with a higher deductible ($1000). In September of last year my dog started getting really lethargic, so I brought him to the local hospital where they said he had Pancreatitis. He stayed 2 nights and the bill was roughly $800. From there he wasn't getting better, so I drove him up to a larger clinic where my friend works and who I trust dearly. There they did numerous tests and had him there for about a week and still no progress or diagnosis.

Finally, we went to the ultimate of places and by then it was too late. He got 3 blood transfusions there, and countless tests. It was horrible. There was still no diagnosis or chance of him getting better. By the end we had to put him down and his stool was black blood. My final bill was around $18,000 - and I paid roughly $3000 out of pocket for the deductible, travel, cremation, everything else. Trupanion even called during to see how I was doing emotionally. They were honestly really great. However, here is what I want to emphasize - I WOULD NOT DO THIS AGAIN! Even though I had all the care in the world, it didn't matter. My little guy should have died at home, comfortable. He was probably stressed the whole time, and poked and prodded for days. And for what?

At the time I was glad that I could give him all the best medical help, but it still didn't matter. If anything, he deteriorated worse. It was so bad that he didn't even have an immune system to leave the hospital. This dog was my world and I did anything and everything for it, but now I would NEVER put a dog through this again. Here is what I am doing with my current pup: I am NOT vaccinating, I am feeding RAW food, and I am NOT neutering him. I can trace most, if not all of my dog's issues back to his rabies vaccines. He was getting fat lumps, and could never lose weight (found out in the end his liver and spleen were huge). Even though previous blood tests always came back normal. It didn't matter.

Treat your dogs well!!! Stop giving into vets and social stigma around what you "should" be doing. Do what YOU feel is best for your dog, and if you notice a reaction from previous vaccines - don't give anymore, or do titers. That dog was my world, and I still miss him every day. However, please inform yourself and don't be so quick to run to the vet, as it may be the thing that kills them quicker. Trupanion was fantastic, but I'm never putting myself or another dog through any of that again. When you know better, you do better.

Original review: May 5, 2018

We had pet insurance for our 3 dogs for 4 years total. Our premiums went from about $1226.00 per year to about $2086.00 after 4 years. We paid to the vet and the insurance premiums in that time just over $14,410.37 in total. We got back $ 4,145.07 from Trupanion. Plus they wanted to increase our premiums. You do the math. You're better off putting and keeping the insurance premium money aside and pay out the vet yourself and SAVE $$$$. I finally figured out why the premiums are high and the payout is low. The Trupanion executives needs another vacation home in the tropics to go with their 5 high end cars.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Hiding behind pre-existing conditions - We got this insurance for our French Bulldog puppy, paying high premiums due to common problems with the breed. We were denied claims because the dog had thrown up and didn't eat 6 months prior!! In another case they denied a claim for soft palate surgery due to another BCS symptom. Two appeals later they still refuse to cover anything. DO NOT GET THIS INSURANCE. #There should be ZERO stars!!

Original review: April 16, 2018

We have had Trupanion Pet Insurance for about 6 years for our Pomeranian. With all the times that we have taken her for one incident or another, we were unable to meet the $500 deductible they said we need to meet and believe me we had various times that needed to take her to the Vet. The kicker was last Thursday when we took her in for what apparently was a urinary infection which we paid $255 for 3 test and medicine. When we contacted Trupanion they of course that because this is a new medical that we had to start another $500 for this issue. I believe Trupanion is a scam and the Vets are part of it because they offer this at the Vet that you take your animal to.

Original review: March 28, 2018

We purchased Trupanion Pet Insurance after my puppy’s very first visit to his Vet on June 2017. After a couple of months we noticed him limping while walking. We brought him back to see the vet in Sept 2017. X-rays were done and the results showed that he was diagnosed with bilateral ankle dysplasia and needed surgery. Assured by our Vet that insurance would cover the expense, we went ahead with surgery only to find it WAS NOT COVERED. After contacting Trupanion they informed me that due to my Vet’s medical notes about my dog seen on Sept. 2017 stating “limping for ‘several’ months” that this was a pre-existing condition and therefore did not meet their policy of coverage. His Vet wrote a letter to appeal and had called personally and spoke with Christin in the Appeal Dept. informing them that it was her mistake and sent all other exams indicating no existing of limping.

We in fact purchased this insurance before my dog exhibited any signs of limping. Both his vet and I have been maintaining communication with Trupanion with hopes of getting our case reappealed. It has now been several months and I have had no luck. I am heartbroken as my dog’s surgery was uneventful. His rehab vet recommended therapy, injections and a possibility of another surgery that will have to come out of our pocket.

Original review: March 14, 2018

We purchased Trupanion insurance for our 2 year old small dog after we paid out of pocket for surgery for a luxated patella. We knew that anything related to his knee would never be covered because it is a preexisting condition. The dog became ill a couple of months ago, sick, throwing up and lethargic. We thought he might have eaten something and had a blockage. Several tests were run and nothing appeared definitive.

After 4-5 days the dog was doing much better and has been fine since. When I filed with the insurance to cover the tests, the insurance didn't look at it like it was an acute illness or potential blockage. They denied the claims saying the dog has a preexisting condition because he got sick and threw up once when he was 2 months old and he eats digestive health food because of soft stools. We appealed and the vet even called the insurance to say this is ridiculous. The insurance denied the appeal also. This insurance is NOT what you think it is and I'm inclined to think it is a scam to collect money.

Original review: March 4, 2018

They have never approved any claim we have submitted because of technicalities or wording in the vet's notes. They say there wasn't a time that they had to wait for the pet to be covered. That's a lie. They say they care about the pet and don't want to see families have to put down or give up their pets because of medical bills. That's a lie. They care about money. That's all. They are no different than any other insurance company for humans. Out to make a dollar off the backs of your loved ones. Save yourself the trouble. Set up a crowdfunding site if your animal gets sick. These people are a hot dumpster fire.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

THEY DID NOT REFUND AFTER ONLY 24 HOURS. STAY AWAY. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE. DO not go near them. They take your money and will not refund you after lying to you. I was told that I was under a 30 day trial period and I was lied to when I signed up and they did not refund the 35$ set up fee and gave me an excuse that it’s NY state law without actually pointing me to the right place where I can understand why. Try Healthy Paws. Much better.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

This particular pet insurance is significantly more expensive than others. When I decided to sign up my new puppies they justified their inflated premiums to me by stating they cover more, ease of filing claims and most importantly that just about everything is covered at 90%. This is extremely false. They also told me as they were taking my money that my puppies would have coverage once payment was received. They took my payment immediately and it was processed over the phone. I signed my two puppies up for what I thought would be superior coverage on 11/16. Have been a great customer diligently paying my highly inflated premiums. Never used the insurance or filed a claim until 2/18 when one of my puppies needed medical care. The claim was for $1K approximately. I was misled by this company as I was that once my $200 deductible was met coverage would be at 90%. Not true!

All claims have been denied which appears to be their standard operating procedure. Deny everything and force the consumer to fight for their rightful reimbursements! I called today and escalated my claims to a manager. All calls are tape recorded so kindly asked them to pull the tapes and listen to the original conversation when I was sold. So that they could hear for themselves and for evidence that I was clearly outright lied to when signing my two puppies up for their health insurance.

Buyer beware of this unscrupulous company. Not worth the inflated cost of their premiums. They lie and mislead upon signing and pull the bait and switch. No ease in filing claims as they deny all as first line of defense. I made my vet aware of this as they have their brochures in their office. I highly suspect getting some kickback in hindsight. Consumers there are lower cost carriers available that are ethical as I have since learned. However Trupanion is not one of them. This company has my lowest rating I can give on this platform.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

We just brought our rescue dog in for his first visit. This insurance was pushed on us, we said no, but they still included it on our bill as a "30 Day Trupanion Trial." Then the email automatically sent pressures you to sign on within 24 hours or lose the free trial. So we looked at the pamphlet and website. When you sign on THEY DO NOT COVER ANYTHING FOR 30 DAYS STATING IF YOU NEED TO BE SEEN IT MUST HAVE BEEN "PRE-EXISTING CONDITION(S)!" So there is no free 30 day trial! Look at the reviews - 1 (out of 5) given over and over as the company denies every claim as 'pre-existing'. This company is a scam artist. The worst kind of insurance fraud. Do not give them any money!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Let me begin how this company works. First they collect your money every month for $80.00. HOWEVER, THEY DO NOT PROVIDE ANY MAJOR COVERAGE WHAT SO EVER. Let me begin my case. I had to get dental cleaning done for my dog which is a routine work at Banfield Hospital. Unfortunately, my dog was not able to have this procedure to take place due to abnormal blood work (thrombocytopenia). Which was also recognized procedure by Trupanion on 6/28/17. My situation was not because of negligence. It was the prognosis of the blood work.

Now, my pet needs to have dental operation procedure because she has to have some of her teeth removed going forward. When I did submit the claim approval paperwork to Trupanion, in return they claimed that this is a pre-existing situation which is not correct because my dog was not able to have cleaning done due to having abnormal blood cells and in which even Trupanion recognized this situation few months ago. I had to wait until my dog's blood work to go back to normal. At same token, her dental situation got worst due to this waiting even how careful I was to use several procedure and cleaning solutions to keep in at minimum level for this waiting period.

The bottom line is when I asked for Trupanion to provide attention to cover for my dog's procedure. THEY DID NOT CARE. Instead they pushed me into another paperwork trail of bureaucracy so that in the end I can give up on it. If you care about your pet their well being you should avoid this company at all cost. After all they are very good at collecting your money but, they do not care about your pet or your overall situation... Go figure. Pet insurance has no difference than USA health insurance policy and limitations to make it worst for your well being in the long run!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I have found that on the whole if they pay a claim they remove most of the charges for one reason or another. They even consider a specialist's consult and office visit. They look for a needle in the haystack to deny allowing a claim or paying very little. My feeling is they lied to me to get me to switch making me believe they would cover the claims so much better than my previous insurance company. They made it seem worth their unlimited coverage & willingness to pay most claims to pay them twice as much monthly. I am now trapped. I gave up a lot of pre-existing conditions to move two dogs to their program. They then doubled their monthly fees. I am paying over $200 a month for 2 dogs and getting very little. My next dogs will NOT be under Trupanion.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

My 17 year old dog was diagnosed with pheochromocytoma, Trupanion gave me the peace of mind. The Trupanion staff was compassionate, understanding and the claims were paid in a timely manner. I highly recommend this company.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Trupanion never paid a penny for my dog. They interpreted "allergy" from "dirty ears" and ongoing ear infection, which is the reason that they won't cover the actual diagnosed allergy this time. It is as if they go out of their way to avoid paying. Out of 10 claims I have submitted, none got approved. My vet helped me appeal two claims because even the hospitals felt the insurance was being unfair. Appealing worked, but it certainly did not prevent Trupanion to call it an "isolated appeal" that does not mean anything to future related claims.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

We had major surgery done to our Boxer. She had her spleen removed and we were told it would be covered. However in the meantime they revised their policy and never told us so they denied the claim. They told us after our other dog had a ACL tear in his back leg. As long as it was not the same leg it would be covered, so because of them not covering the surgery for the spleen we ask them if our other dog would be covered if he tore his ACL in the other leg (not that she did. We just wanted to know how much they revised). They said no because even if it's the other leg it's an ongoing issue. They are a rip off, WE RECORDED WHAT THE MAN TOLD US WHEN WE GOT THE INSURANCE and he said any ongoing thing that the dogs have before we got the insurance as long as it was not in the same spot or has nothing to do with what they have now will be covered. That was a lie. They do not cover it.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Read the terms clearly and try to understand the purpose of this insurance: It is to avoid paying coverage for situations that are reasonably expected could occur. Trupanion provides coverage for pet boarding IF you are hospitalized for more than 4 days. I had hip replacement surgery five days ago and came home for recuperation two days after surgery. Trupanion would not cover my pet boarding because it was not more than 4 days' hospitalization. These days, patients and hospitals make every effort to get a patient home as soon as possible. THIS IS NOT THE SET OF TERMS A DECENT INSURANCE PLAN WOULD COVER AND FOR WHICH I PAY $88.00 PER M0NTH. Trupanion, don't represent this as the coverage it isn't. It looks like you discovered that statistics show most hospitalizations are 3 days or fewer and so your chance of having to pay out are essentially nil.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I wish I read these reviews before I purchased. They are terrible, they spend your money sending reps to market the insurance at vet offices to sell their scam insurance vs. paying claims. They offer big promotions AFTER the first vet visit, in fact I called to join prior to seeing a vet and was told the deductible is way less "on a promo" after the vet visit - this is because they don't pay a penny on anything AFTER the vet visit because they label it pre-existing. Don't even mention a concern to your vet and or have them document as it will be pre-existing. Stay as far away from this insurance as you can get!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Yet another unhappy consumer. My dog was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism last month and my vet stated this is a new condition. Trupanion turned it down stating this was connected to his skin issues and was pre-existing. They have a clear pattern of trying not to cover new conditions. I sell health insurance so I understand the system. Paid them $104/month for my 2 dogs for past 6 months. Diagnosis made after I suggested they test his thyroid in November. Trupanion won't pay. Have contacted my Vet to suggest they not recommend this company anymore.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I had several claims due to a vet that didn't know what they were doing for something as simple as a hot spot last Spring. They never covered anything and after 5 vet visits, paid out only about 40.00. I have since found a much more reasonable insurance (Pet's Best) that does cover exam fees and are much more customer friendly! I finally got Trupanion canceled after numerous emails and a phone call where I was pressured into reconsideration which ultimately still led to cancellation.

I actually had to threaten to get them to cancel this policy. Unbelievable that they charge a deductible for each illness and no exam fees. I should of caught that when I first had it. But, with how they acted to finally cancel my policy, I am furious and it hurts them in the long run to do so! Now I will be telling everyone how crappy they were and telling everyone how great Pet's Best is! They lied several times when they tried to get me to stay on board! When they realized I was leaving my policy was miraculously lowered 10.00 starting next year!!! I was overpaid to begin with!!! I should of researched much more before I wasted almost a year with them!!! How they handle your exit speaks volumes!!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Pet insurance failed to pay for an accident our dog had when the insurance company clearly should have covered the accident. They stated It was an illness and not an accident when the vet clearly stated It was accident related. Very disappointed and we cancelled insurance. We also let our vet know and they will no longer be recommending this company for pet insurance.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I bought a policy for my 12 week old Shih Tzu, after a year of paying for this policy, I submitted a claim. My Shih Tzu had 2 herniated discs. I chose this policy because it covered X-rays. Well the claim was denied because they wanted all Drs. notes, which were also submitted. They also denied examine fees, X-rays, medications. I was able to reopen my claim, which they denied as well, for same reasons. I don't know what else my veterinarian can submit to them. Trupanion is a scam!! After all this, they increased the policy rate, and never paid a dime towards my dog's bill. Beware!!! They won't receive another dime from me.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

We purchased Trupanion 2 years ago for our 3 month old mixed breed dogs. We have yet to submit a claim that hasn't been rejected due to "pre-existing condition." THEY WERE PUPPIES WHEN WE PURCHASED THIS CRAPPY INSURANCE! How can there be pre-existing conditions? ALSO, when we started, our bill was ~ $90 a month (for both). Now it's $160 a month!!! We're finally done being scammed by this ridiculous company. I just called to cancel and apparently calling is not enough. You have to cancel in writing. WTF? I can call and cancel my car insurance, my health insurance, my house insurance with it not being required in writing. What a frickin SCAM!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Hi my name is Luis. We have a beautiful 2 year old black lab named Bella. We just found out 4 weeks ago that she is in need of a tore cruciate back hind leg surgery ASAP. Now my son Christopher and I purchased Trupanion pet insurance approx 9 months ago. Now Trupanion refuses to pay for her surgery saying that it is a pre-existing condition. SMH what how I just found out 4 weeks ago!!! But now Trupanion say oh because I've taken her to the vet for a small limp in the past since she's a hyper baby and was on Novax they claim it was a sign and symptom. What? But her doctor never ever diagnosed her. In fact she's never had an X-ray or anything so how is that pre-existing Trupanion?

Shame on you for taking people's money with the hopes and security of knowing god forbid anything happens to my pet Trupanion is there not!!! Now we suffer everyday thinking what are we to do for Bella. She's on pain meds everyday to help manage her. She looks so sad because of the pain and Trupanion not willing not a single bit to help alleviate the cost with even paying for her X-rays, sedation or even blood work. If we were to find a doctor who can take payments so that we can get her the surgery she needs.

Customers shopping for pet insurance beware stay clear of Trupanion. They're crooks who paint a beautiful picture at first but then their true color of darkness comes thru when you need to put a claim for the sake of your pet's health and guess what the excuses of all the why nots come out SMH. I'm not only a fool for trusting them but hurt that I put my pet's life and health on their hands only to be let down. I'm so disgusted with Trupanion and I'm going to cancel them right now after this. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I've been with them for two years now, and they never cover anything. Everything is pre-existing to them, even when the situation is different. My dog ate part of a toy a couple of years ago, and we took him to the vet to have it regurgitated. Recently, he wasn't acting right and it turns out, he had somehow found an old toy, ate the squeaker and had to have a scope to remove it. They call it a pre-existing condition. My other dog had sprained a disk playing a while back and recently, when he was moving slow, we took him to the vet and though the vet said that wasn't his issue this time, they still denied the claim on a pre-existing condition. I've spent so much money on this service with no reimbursement. It has been a complete waste to me. To them, this is just a way to take advantage of vulnerable homeowners. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I have been paying 150 per month for years. I have never once been reimbursed for a claim. The very first claim near 1000 dollars they continue to request more and more information. This is absolutely ridiculous. Luckily we are fortunate to afford paying for the health of our animal but for anyone else these guys would rather their customers’ animals die than help them in a timely matter. I believe my problem is not unique and encourage everyone to stay away.

Trupanion expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Trupanion is a pet medical insurance company founded by CEO Darryl Rawlings. The company is a founding member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA) and has been publicly traded since July of 2014.

• Dog and cat coverage: With Trupanion, pet owners can get pet medical insurance for both dogs and their cats.

• 90% coverage: The company offers pet owners 90% coverage of actual veterinary costs for all approved pet accidents and illnesses.

• Unlimited lifetime coverage: Trupanion has no limit on the number of accidents, illnesses or years a pet can be covered for.

• Educational information: The company offers pet owners educational information via its website and print materials, which helps give tips for health, nutrition and warning signs for illness.

• Community focused: In addition to providing pet insurance, the company also contributes a lot to community organizations, contributing more than $200,000 to animal welfare programs across the country.

• Best for: Pet owners with dogs and cats, new pet owners and pet owners with rambunctious pets.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky