Trupanion
2.69/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

Trupanion Reviews

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

123 Trupanion Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Part of the reason for insuring with Trupanion was their claim that premiums would not increase along with the pet's age. In the 7 years since we began coverage with this company the policy premiums have doubled. The most recent premium increase was 20%. They claim this is because of increased veterinarian costs in my area. This is entirely false, vet expenses have not doubled in 7 years. When I point this out to them they come back with some obfuscation about the overall economics in my area. Now I feel somewhat trapped into continuing as I've already invested a huge amount in this policy. I feel like I've been scammed by this company.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I have had an absolute horrible experience with this company over the last two weeks. I have only been insured with them for a couple months, but my Bulldog has recently had a partial pulled/tear to his ACL. We have been looking at alternative ways to help him other than surgery. I got in contact with Trupanion immediately to figure out my options. I first spoke to Amber ** and she told me as long as my veterinarian approved the alternate care they would cover it. She was suppose to send over a pre-approval form but never attached it to the email. I then had to contact them three more times over the next week to try and get this pre-approval form. Finally today I spoke to Bonnie **, just to be informed that what is being recommended for me to do as an alternative healing process (laser therapy) is not covered by my $120 a month coverage plan.

I have had to take my boy to three different vets and pay out of pocket, they don't cover office visits, to get a veterinarian to sign off on a paper and estimate and now they won't even cover it. And then she informed me they have an extended plan (never mentioned to me) that would cover it BUT won't now because it would be considered pre-existing with the new plan. At that point I was so frustrated that I wanted to cancel my plan altogether just to be informed they can't cancel it on the weekend and someone will be in contact with me in 2-3 business days.

I'm sorry Monday is in one day, and I am unhappy with your service and now you're telling me I have to wait longer than Monday to cancel my plan? For this company to act like they care so much about the well being of your pet it sure doesn't seem like it to me. Not to mention all the horrible reviews on here and somehow they still have a good star review. That is very concerning to me. Stay far far away.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Pet Owners, please do yourself and your pet a favor by getting another pet insurance company. This company is not reputable. If your dog has multiple tumors, they will say each one is separate (if they haven't found a way to claim it is a preexisting condition). If your pet is ill and needs diagnostic tests, they will not pay for them if they can find a way to say the pathology is not covered. You are not safe with this company.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I purchased Trupanion pet insurance almost a year ago for my Boston Terrier puppy, who is now 13 months old. I was paying $42/month. I got a notice by email advising that my rates are going up to $52/month. I contacted them, and they advised me that due to inflation, and the increased cost of veterinary services for my specific breed and/or my location, the rate is going up. They advised that they do this every year, and stated that in SOME cases, the rates can go down. I find that hard to believe. I now have no doubt in my mind, that if I stay with Trupanion, they will increase my rate a year from now. When I initially signed up for Trupanion, the possibility of rates increasing, or decreasing was never mentioned. Also, to be clear, I have not yet made ANY claims. I highly recommend that you shop around, and choose someone other than Trupanion. I am going to shop around now.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

When I bought my kittens, I received 30 free days off Trupanion coverage. So far, I'm horrified by then. When I took my kitties in for their first Well Check, I knew it wouldn't be covered, as per their policy. But when they both developed sniffles, I figured the visits would go toward their deductible. Turns out, only their medication counted toward the deductible. The visit itself (the majority of the book) is excluded, as they don't cover your pet actually being seen. I'm not sure how they expect me to have my pets seen, diagnosed, and prescribed medication without actually having them examined.

What's more, the piddling amount for medication that was applied to the deductible will mean nothing if they need to go back for another issue, as EACH INDIVIDUAL ISSUE is considered a new $250 deductible. For $10 a month more, I'll be going with Nationwide. Their plan covers EVERYTHING. Exams, illness, wellness check, medication, catastrophic issues, injuries, dental, preventative care. I have no idea why, with such a better option, anyone would opt for this sham.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

My dog was diagnosed with pancreatitis. He had all the signs and symptoms after ingesting a bite of fatty food. During all this, I signed up for Trupanion Pet Insurance -- since it was advertised everywhere in the vet's office -- in case anything further came up in the future that was unrelated since that would now be considered pre-existing, which is understandable. I signed up for their 30 day free trial. Well, something did actually come up unrelated. Within a week, after being on the mend and acting like himself again, he began to feel unwell, but this time with a round of totally different symptoms. I took him to the ER and he was diagnosed with anemia and neoplasia.

The ER vet assured me this was completely unrelated to the pancreatitis and was a totally different matter. I submitted the claim to Trupanion and it was denied. I appealed the denial and that was denied. They're stating that his anemia and neoplasia was related to his pancreatitis and gastroenteritis. One has nothing to do with the other and even the symptoms were totally different. I submitted all his medical papers and highlighted everything and even included a letter from the ER vet specifying all of this. Apparently, that doesn't matter to this company. After all this, I will probably have to take this issue to small claims court. I understand insurance fraud is an issue in companies, but this is a true and honest situation here with all the documents to back it up. I'm so heartbroken about my dog. This company has no integrity.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Long and short of it I have been paying out $70 a month for 3 years. I ran into a situation where my dog had 3 tumors. One of which was biopsied Round cell and the Vet advised that I have them removed because my dog could have Cancer. I called and every time you call to speak with insurance you speak to someone different. None of their employees have extension numbers and their automated emails come back constantly. Finding a human on the other end to help you is nearly impossible. I spoke with two supervisors and 5 different reps for the company. All of them acted all kind and said the claim would be pre approved and would go through. Well it did not.

They are claiming that my dog had a preexisting anxiety issue, so therefore they can’t cover the ** that Vets use for any Pet when they have surgery. They also said that it was in their policy that I have to pay a deductible for every tumor as if they are separate issues. All the tumors are different types and unless my vet can prove otherwise then they won’t cover 90% as promised. They also stare even if I do know the types and they are the same that I still have to pay a deductible for each tumor. This is insane.

They just want your $$ and when you are in distress with your pet and they fail to come through they are worthless. I am not happy with %50 coverage when they have said 90% in their ads. Might I add they sent me a new policy stating I had to renew it or lose coverage when it wasn’t due to be renewed. Yet they determine when they get to rewrite their own policy in order to manipulate how much $$ they will cover for your pet. If you have faced similar issues send me an email because I am considering a class action lawsuit. This company shouldn’t exist in my opinion. SAVE YOUR $$$ because in the end they will say one of the following: It’s preexisting. It’s not covered in their policy or somehow they will change their policy. You didn’t take care of your dog properly so they denied the claim. Your Vet didn’t provide medical paperwork so they deny your claim. Basically for any reason they will either half ** cover you or deny you.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

This company was recommended by my former Vet All Pet's in Nashua, NH. and if there is absolutely any mention of anything in your pets record before you sign up it will not be covered. My vet told me about a year back or so to make sure you brush your dog's teeth because she could get gum disease. Well they put in my record that my dog had level one gum disease so when I came back with a request of course I was denied coverage. So I went to cancel this policy and they offered me a "Paw Print" or whatever they call it where do a complete history on your dog to see if there is any other issues that may not be covered in the future and this was free of charge so I agreed.

Two months goes by and nothing from Trupanion?? I called and they stated to me well one hospital never responded so we suspended the research. No phone call, no email or communication but they made sure they received their $79.00 per month for those two months. There are many companies out there. Make sure you do your research. I wish I would have done my research and homework before I signed up with them.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Absolutely disappointed with this company. The purpose of insurance is to help the animal with any health concerns. Trupanion declined my first and only claim. Please explain to me why I pay so much for my pet's insurance, if you don’t do your part. Save yourself the money. Not worth it. Customer service is clueless on how to answer questions and properly deal with concerned animal lovers. This is a money pit. You’ll pay and receive nothing in return.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Trupanion was there for my dog from the start. Unfortunately, my dog developed severe allergies at the very young age of 1 years old. After meeting my deductible, Trupanion paid 90% (minus the exam fees, which I knew wasn't covered) of ALL cost associated with his condition for the next 4 years. These cost included treatment by family vet as well as allergy specialists, ALL treatments, ALL medications, ALL Skin shampoos, ALL testing, ALL hospital stays. I couldn't have given my dog the care he had if it wasn't for Trupanion. I am truly appreciative of the service they provided from the wonderful customer representatives to the payout of claims. I have a peace of mind knowing that if my other dog should ever have the need for treatment of any kind, Trupanion will be there for me and him.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

If you are looking to insure your pet, stay away from TRUPANION. They deny coverage EVERY SINGLE TIME. They do not care about animals - they care about money. Save yourself the grief and find an insurer that TRUly cares about your comPANION. Predatory company out to make a buck off your heartfelt concern for your pet's health.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

My advice to you is stay away from Trupanion... I have been paying into them since 2014, I made no claims. When I first got the insurance there was a 3 month waiting period and they asked for all the records available on my little dog, I provided them all of the records... In December my Therapy Dog was hospitalized for seizures due to tick meds and rabies shot, I paid the hospital and put in for the payment of the hospitalization, it took them forever to pay AND THEY REQUESTED ALL THE SAME RECORDS AGAIN.

I recently put in for meds which are supposed to be covered, mind you just MEDS, so guess what they AGAIN ASK FOR ALL THE SAME RECORDS. 1165 PAGES WERE FAXED TO THEM, now they are telling me they don't cover manicures... I did not put in for a manicure. I only put in for meds... Don't waste your money. The aggravation alone isn't worth it. I would not mind but the salespeople did such a good job selling Marty ** and Michelle ** that I believed them and bought the insurance right away WITHOUT DOING AN RESEARCH, not only that but I foolishly recommended several friends who purchased the insurance, now I am going to look like an idiot.

Now I am stuck, my little dog is 11 now and she has a couple of issues. I am sure I am paying into Trupanion for absolutely nothing so they can look for "any" reason not to pay. They are responding to me for things I never put in for. They are joke a very bad joke. So discouraged and disappointed. PLEASE IF YOU LOVE YOUR DOG OR CAT STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM TRUPANION.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Terrible experience with this company. Incredibly devastated. I have paid them for years under the guise that they would cover my dog. Well when the time came- they denied all claims and stated "Sorry we changed our policy now and you should have read the small print." PLEASE BE AWARE- THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM- VERY SAD.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

After getting my pet at a shelter I received a voucher for a free month of insurance with this company on August 18th. I "activated" his voucher for the free coverage (yet I never received an email or anything of the sort with a policy number). Fast forward to August 25th, I took him into the vet for an unexpected visit to have his eye looked at. I paid out of pocket due to not receiving a policy number from them from the voucher I "activated". I "officially" enrolled him with Trupanion about on the 29th of August.

Fast forward another month. I had to make another unexpected vet visit for the same problem previously. Since I had his "official" policy number from his enrollment - I gave it to the vet to submit claims totaling over $400. Trupanion declined EVERY SINGLE CLAIM! I called their customer service line to speak with someone on why none of these are covered. Well - according to them my voucher was never "activated" and the claims are now considered a "pre-existing condition", which they do not cover. I gave the customer care rep the voucher code I used for his free month. The customer care rep said she would speak to a manager to see if they can do anything regarding this matter.

4 days later, I get an email from the Customer Care manager saying there is nothing they can do and any further treatment for his issue will not be covered due to it being before his "official" enrollment date. SO basically I am paying them $50/mo. for nothing?! Needless to say I am cancelling them IMMEDIATELY. I would never recommend them to ANYONE EVER! Seems like they are just like every other insurance company, they want you to pay them but don't want to pay anything for you! STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

First of all there's only one hospital that accepts Trupanion Express which they don't tell you about unless you ask. And that hospital is the worst. Big surprise... they say no to everything... to them everything's a pre-existing condition. Well I know my dog and it's not it's the veterinarians that don't know what the hell they're doing or saying veterinarians are worse than Trupanion. All they do is rise prices and ruin your dog. I'm suing 3 vet and Trupanion might be the fourth lawsuit. Anyone in?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Do not insure with these people. Expensive - but they deny every claim. They will look for any little loophole or hyper technical reading of the policy, in order to deny the claim. Sometimes, they will grant the claim and apply it to the deductible, then once you exceed the deductible, they will deny the claim for the very same condition. I have an entire stack of denials, most all of them inconsistent. They then make you go through an Appeals process, which is just a front for another "sorry, denied" email.

They also pepper you with repeated requests for the same information, over and over and over - and send emails that state that the "claim will be closed" because of "insufficient" information, even when you have responded fully with all applicable medical records. All our pets are rescue pets. They deserve better than to be insured by a company, the sole purpose of which is to take your premiums and deny your claims. Shame on Trupanion. There is a special place in purgatory for companies like this - shame shame shame. Avoid at all costs. Do not use.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I signed up for Trupanion after my dog was diagnosed with giardia. Turns out a side effect of giardia is diarrhea. I take him to the vet, get him treated and the vet prescribes him meds. (No coverage!) but Diarrhea is gone. 2 months later, my dog eats a dead bird. He gets a really bad upset tummy for a whole week. I take him to the vet for the diarrhea, and what do you know! Trupanion now claims any diarrhea is somehow related to the giardia. Coverage denied!

3 months later, dog gets conjunctivitis and a swollen eye, with a slight infection. Take him to the vet for treatment. Call Trupanion. No coverage! Your $250 deductible starts over with every single individual illness the dog may develop. Oh... on top of that, exam fees, x-rays, sick visits, shots, emergency visits, nothing that helps the vet determine the illness is covered. This company scams people. Everything I've had to pay for the dog so far has been out of pocket. DO NOT FALL FOR THEIR SCAM. Nationwide is a lot better with much better prices.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I'm a believer in insurance as a method of sharing genuine risks across many people. Providing abuse is kept under control, insurance works. I am, however, very disappointed with Trupanion. My dog ate rat poison from a neighbor's yard and we rushed him to hospital. My Trupanion file says the claim was "accepted." Hooray. But does that mean they fulfilled their role of shared risk? No. They paid nothing because more than half the money I paid the hospital was determined to be an "examination." The other half was the deductible. The deductible I have no issue with (part of the shared risk I'm prepared to accept). But the "examination"? I brought my dog to the pet's equivalent of an emergency room.

This suggests that every time you take your pet to a hospital or clinic or vet, not only do you have to pay the deductible, but you also have to pay for an "examination," which effectively doubles your deductible. This is a much larger deductible than their feel-good/pet-friendly advertising suggests. I'm disappointed and irritated at this bit of trickery (in my opinion), and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the company. I believe that Trupanion and their resellers and supporters (including vets and animal hospitals) should make this double-the-cost-deductible very clear to their customers... before they buy into the product.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I have 18 months of policy coverage for my dog, in good standing. Then she had a cancer diagnosis with $2400 in treatment. My policy has $1000 deductible and 10% co-pay. Trupanion adjusters reimbursed me just $670. Where's the rest? Turns out one can interpret "treatment" and "examination" in whichever way suits the company. "Examinations" are excluded from the policy. So unless your vet line items separately things like: "massaged exterior of tumor to diagnose size," and "restrained dog in calm position to perform lab sampling" etc... then Trupanion insists all of those actions are part of an "examination" which has nothing to do with treating your pet's condition.

The policy documents are written to be intentionally vague. I requested a contract document with definition of each of these terms and was denied it. Bottom line -- you should expect this policy to cover diagnostics, labs, surgeries. And not to cover anything else that your veterinarian actually does. Then you can do the math on whether it's worth it -- $1000/year for coverage that winds up covering about 25% of real costs for treatment, on a per-diagnosis basis. Meaning, you'd have to have about a minimum $5000 vet expense, for one single emergency or injury, every other year in order to break even.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Purchased pet insurance in June for my dog. In August my dog had watery eye. I bought over the counter pet eye drops for the dog. Which is 60 days after I purchase insurance. The eye drops worked for about a week. Next week she started scratching her eye a lot. I took her to the vet on 8/30. Vet gave me eye creams for dog see if they worked. 9-6 went back for recheck. He said eye not getting better. Had me schedule another appointment on 9-16. At that time he said she needs surgery asap. She has developed an ulcer cornea.

Sent claims in to Trupanion. They denied it saying that this happened prior to the 30 day waiting period. It had been almost 60 days. Then vet sent them a letter explaining this is not a pre existing injury. They said letter from him means nothing and they still maintain this is pre existing and will not pay anything. So I researched on internet and they have been doing this to a lot of their customers. So they are just scamming people out of their money.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I had both of my dogs insured through Trupanion for 2 years at over $120/month. Every single time I filed a claim they replied with a denial of coverage going so far as to cite completely irrelevant prior diagnosis. Upon being informed that the current condition being filed for in the claim was not "pre-existing" I was constantly informed that the appeals process was "lengthy and complex and could take over 6 weeks"... Oh, but when you cancel your policy(s) they make that process super easy, leads me to believe it happens all-too-often. If I could give them "negative stars" I would. Terrible. Fail.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I received a free month trial of this company's policy when I rescued my dog. On the day I rescued him he was in an accident and I didn't find out until $2,000 later that the policy doesn't cover anything until the day AFTER it's activated. Nothing in any of the material they made available said this. I searched high and low for a document outlining actual coverage and exceptions and I could never find one. I was never sent one and it was not available on their website. Not only do they not cover anything on the day you create your policy, but I also discovered they do not cover exams (a very huge thing to not cover!), X-rays, administrative fees, and a lot of very basic things that I would expect insurance to cover.

Yes, their customer service is overly friendly, I'll give them that. But having a peppy, happy voice while they tell you nothing is covered doesn't make it any better. Honestly, save your money. Unless you've had your animal for at least 18 months, they have a spotless record so far, and your vet charges almost nothing for exams, you'll end up paying almost everything out of pocket. They'll find ways to wiggle out of anything.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

We've called Trupanion customer service numerous times and have always been delighted with their responses. Outstanding customer service representatives who are knowledgeable, helpful and caring! One of the best companies out there in our opinion! Have always treated us with utmost respect and always solved any issues we've come across! Highly recommend Trupanion insurance. They're a caring company and we've always had an all-around great experience dealing with them! Highly recommend for your pet insurance needs!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

The claims department is very responsive, caring, interested in making claims as easy and less work for the customer as possible. Give them the information and they will deal with the Vet directly. There is no back and forth.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

The representative was very compassionate about my dog Rudy recent diagnosis of Leukemia. She was very informative about company policy for illnesses and diseases. Professionalism and compassion for clients goes a long way for business.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Please do not use this company!! It's a scam. They will just take your money and run. Ex 1. After 10 years at the same rate and NEVER using it, my dog finally had a few issues I got reimburse for. Immediately after, the company TRIPLED my rate. I should have canceled then but I hung on because he was getting older. Ex 2. My 13.5 year old has TERRIFIC teeth. He's only ever had mild tartar. He has a bone infection right now that might require surgery. The vet listed either a possible bone infection related to the one he had earlier this year in his head, OR possible root abscess. They would not cover it because NINE years ago, he had mild tartar in his record. NINE YEARS AGO!!! Are you kidding me? Don't trust this company!!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Trupanion kept charging my credit card even after I canceled the policy AND changed my credit card number. They have a clause in all the fine print that says they can request your new card information from your cc company AND get it!! It’s outrageous! I had a policy for years and NEVER used it, then they took me for an additional $400 after I canceled. Do not use this company! I can only imagine how terrible they would be if you had a claim. I’m sure what this company lacks in character they make up for with deep pockets. Stay away from them!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I've had insurance for my 4-year-old dog for about 2 years now (Omega General type insurance). Every time I've called customer service, I've received nothing but kind and helpful reps and overall amazing service. I even received a call back once to check how my dog was after an accident. My dog recently developed some unknown skin condition. I have the peace of mind that Trupanion will cover expenses related to this for the rest of his life if it becomes an ongoing issue.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I purchased this insurance right after I adopted my rescue dog. I purchased it literally after her first vet visit. I had a few vet visits after that for gastroenteritis that Trupanion covered, however now they claim it’s a pre-existing condition. My dog’s first vet visit, right after rescuing her, it was documented that she had loose stool as a result of changing her food. Now, any visit where my dog had loose stools, Trupanion will refuse to reimburse. They went as far as to tell me that the visits that were covered for the gastroenteritis, were covered on behalf of the company's mistake. There are many ailments where loose stools/diarrhea is a symptom. So it’s basically their excuse to not cover anything.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I have had a few uses for this insurance. Trupanion is the best when it come to pet insurance. I never have had any problems with any claims I have made. Great service and a pleasure to talk to. Reimbursements are fast with no issues at all. If you wish to buy pet insurance then these are the people to purchase from. Thank you so much all at Trupanion!!!

Trupanion expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Trupanion is a pet medical insurance company founded by CEO Darryl Rawlings. The company is a founding member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA) and has been publicly traded since July of 2014.

• Dog and cat coverage: With Trupanion, pet owners can get pet medical insurance for both dogs and their cats.

• 90% coverage: The company offers pet owners 90% coverage of actual veterinary costs for all approved pet accidents and illnesses.

• Unlimited lifetime coverage: Trupanion has no limit on the number of accidents, illnesses or years a pet can be covered for.

• Educational information: The company offers pet owners educational information via its website and print materials, which helps give tips for health, nutrition and warning signs for illness.

• Community focused: In addition to providing pet insurance, the company also contributes a lot to community organizations, contributing more than $200,000 to animal welfare programs across the country.

• Best for: Pet owners with dogs and cats, new pet owners and pet owners with rambunctious pets.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky