Best Appliance Brands
Home appliances play an integral part in your life by saving time, energy and resources. Brands often design multiple appliances to match each other, known as a series, so you can have a uniform look to your kitchen. Compare the functionality and size of each brand's series of appliances to find the best home appliance for your space.
Compare Reviews for Top Appliance Brands
Read 869 Reviews
Founded in 1886 and headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany, Bosch is an engineering company that manufactures electronics, auto parts and appliances. Its family of appliances consists of dishwashers, ovens, microwaves and cooktops.
Read 543 Reviews
Frigidaire is an American subsidiary of Electrolux and is located in Charlotte, North Carolina. It manufactures home and commercial appliances for kitchens, laundry rooms and facilities.
Read 671 Reviews
Electrolux was founded in 1919 and is headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden. Electrolux designs and makes kitchen, laundry and home-care appliances such as washers and dryers, refrigerators and freezers.
Read 476 Reviews
Founded in 1934, Amana makes affordable appliances for cooking, cleaning, heating and cooling. Their freezers include upright and wide designs and range in price from $229 to $649.
Read 942 Reviews
Headquartered in Auckland, New Zealand, Fisher and Paykel was founded in 1934 and designs appliance that are distributed to over 50 countries. It was acquired by Haier Group in 2012, allowing it to expand even further.
|Farberware Coffee Makers|
Read 155 Reviews
Owned by Meyer Corporation, Farberware was founded over 100 years ago. It makes kitchen cookware, blenders and coffee makers. Its two models of home coffee makers come with various features and settings.
Read 174 Reviews
Krups is a German kitchen appliance manufacturer that can trace its founding back to 1846. Headquartered in Solingen, Germany, the Krups brand offers a line of coffee makers and grinders, kettles and cooking appliances.
|KitchenAid Coffee Makers|
Read 83 Reviews
KitchenAid was started in 1919 and is now owned by Whirlpool. Along with its family of kitchen appliances, it makes a line of coffee makers and grinders. Its coffee makers come in varying capacities, colors and carafe types.
Read 704 Reviews
Cuisinart is a home products manufacturer specializing in small appliances and goods for the kitchen. Founded in 1971, Cuisinart offers many products including kitchen electrics, coffee makers, cutlery, cookware and more.
Read 395 Reviews
Dacor was founded in 1948 with a self-contained ventilation hood designed by Stan and Anthony Joseph. Today, it designs and manufactures ranges, cooktops, ovens, ventilation vents, microwaves, dishwashers and refrigeration units.
What advanced features do modern appliances have?
What to look for in a new refrigerator
Modern refrigerators do a lot more than just keep food cool. They make it easy and convenient to find what you need and keep food fresh for longer than ever. New refrigerators cost anywhere from $200 to over $10,000, depending on their size and features.
- Water and ice dispenser: Water and ice dispensers have been around for awhile, but companies have continued to improve on their design. Look for dispensers with automatic measuring features that detect the size of a glass and fill it without overflowing.
- Temperature-controlled drawers: Many refrigerators come with temperature controlled drawers. These let you adjust the temperature based on the type of food stored in the drawer. These drawers can be set at the perfect temperature for many foods, including deli meat, seafood, fruits and vegetables. Drawers are made airtight to keep vegetables and fruit fresh for longer.
- Sliding shelves: Adjustable, sliding shelves are becoming standard in refrigerators. You can move shelves up or down to make room for large objects and remove or add shelves as needed.
- Smart refrigerators: Smart refrigerators sync with your Android or iOS smartphone to provide several convenient features. For instance, some have a large touchscreen display on the refrigerator door where you can coordinate family schedules, leave notes, display pictures and keep a running grocery list. Some smart refrigerators have built-in cameras that take a picture every time the door closes so you can see what's in your fridge from your phone.
What to look for in a new microwave
Most microwaves cook food by either emitting microwaves or using a convection heating process that radiates and circulates heat. Think about your space when deciding if you want your microwave installed above your oven range or one that sits on your countertop. Expect to spend up to $100 for countertop microwaves. Fancier, over-the-range microwaves that use convection heating will be anywhere from $350-$700.
- Automatic sensors: Some new microwaves have an automatic sensor that can tell when food is done by measuring steam in the microwave. These microwaves shut off at the perfect time, so you don’t need to set a timer.
- Pre-programmed settings: Many microwaves have pre-programmed buttons for specific foods like pizza, popcorn and potatoes. Newer models have dozens more pre-programmed menu items, as well as pre-programmed defrost settings based on food weight.
- Turntables: Turntables are a fairly standard but important microwave feature. They allow food to heat and cook evenly by slowly rotating it throughout the cooking process.
What to look for in a new washer and dryer
A quality washer and dryer can make doing laundry easier and less time-consuming while minimizing the wear that clothing sustains through washing and drying cycles. Manufacturers continuously add features to washers and dryers to make them more energy efficient and user-friendly. New energy-efficient washers cost around $500 for a top-load machine and around $1,200 for a front-load. Dryers run anywhere from $500-$1,200.
- Energy star: The majority of washers and dryers on the market today come with an Energy Star rating, meaning they are energy efficient. You save on utility bills using Energy Star models because they use less water and have lower run-times.
- Automatic water levels: Automatic water level sensors in washing machines detect the size of a load of laundry and adjust the water level accordingly. Use this feature to save money on your water bill.
- Moisture sensors: Moisture sensors in dryers can tell how damp clothes are and adjust the pre-set drying time accordingly. Most newer washer and dryer models have these.
- Stackable versus front-loading: Stackable washers and dryers are great for saving space and using less water and detergent due to their energy-efficient design. Some consumers complain about front-load washers having a musty odor due to water getting trapped inside. Leave the door open after you take wet clothes out of the washer to prevent this problem.
What to look for in a new oven
Ovens are a staple appliance in most homes. Spend some time researching gas versus electric ovens to see which one makes the most sense for your home. New ovens cost anywhere from $300 for basic models and up to $2,500 for larger ones.
- Gas vs electric: Even though gas ovens are more expensive than electric, they have a cheaper operating cost. Gas ovens also cook food more evenly. However, they burn hotter than electric ovens. You may need to rotate your food to prevent overcooking on one side when you use a gas oven.
- Self-cleaning: There are two types of self-cleaning ovens: Pyrolytic and Catalytic liners. Pyrolytic ovens heat themselves to around 930 degrees, turning food particles to ash to be easily wiped out with a rag. Catalytic liners line the sides and back walls of an oven. Heat these liners to around 500 degrees to burn off excess food, which can then be easily wiped out.
- There are two types of self-cleaning ovens: There are two types of self-cleaning ovens: Pyrolytic and Catalytic liners. Pyrolytic ovens heat themselves to around 930 degrees, turning food particles to ash to be easily wiped out with a rag. Catalytic liners line the sides and back walls of an oven. Heat these liners to around 500 degrees to burn off excess food, which can then be easily wiped out.
- Steam and convection combination oven: Steam and convection combination ovens are one of the latest designs in new oven models. These models combine steam cooking with the necessary features of a convection oven. They have all the baking features of a regular oven along with a steam-only setting and combination steam/oven setting.
- Multiple cooking features: Multiple cooking options are an important feature for household ovens. Many models come with broilers and roasters along with the main baking feature.
What to look for in a new coffee maker
Coffee makers are another common household appliance that many people consider a necessity. They come in different sizes and styles. Drip machines, single-serve models and specialty models are the most common. Popular features include a built-in grinder, self-cleaning capabilities and brew-strength controls.
- Automatic timer: An automatic timer ensures your coffee is fresh and ready as soon as you need it every morning. This feature is common on most coffee makers, even those that are budget-friendly.
- Size/quantity: Think about how much coffee your household drinks on a daily basis. Most coffee makers brew four to 12 cups. If you’re the only coffee drinker in the house, you might be fine with a one or two cup coffee maker.
- Self-cleaning: The self-cleaning feature helps keep the coffee maker’s interior clean. Fill the reservoir with a mixture of water and white vinegar and press the cleaning button. This lets the coffee maker run through a series of cleaning cycles.
- Brew-strength control: Some coffee makers have a brew-strength feature that lets you adjust the strength of your morning cup of Joe. The brew-strength feature works by turning a knob that controls how much water filters through the beans. This decreases or increases the strength of the pot of coffee.
What are the different types of appliances?
Small home appliances
Small home appliances simplify cooking and cleaning processes. Small cooking appliances include mixers, coffeemakers, microwaves, blenders, slow-cookers, toasters and juicers. Small cleaning appliances include vacuum cleaners and steam mops.
Large home appliances
You use large home appliances every day. Examples of large home appliances include air conditioners and furnaces, water heaters, ovens, refrigerators, dishwashers and icemakers. Large appliances are manufactured for home and commercial use.
Smart appliances are becoming more popular with the advancement of technology. Companies make appliances controlled by mobile apps that can talk to each other. For example, a water heater can send a signal to a dishwasher to start once it has completed a heating cycle. Other smart appliance features include smart washers and dryers that respond to load size and moisture levels. Some smart refrigerators can even keep track of which food items are inside and send a shopping list to your phone when you’re running low on your favorites.
Who uses appliances?
As a homeowner, you use multiple appliances every day. The right appliances make cleaning your home and food preparation and storage more convenient.
Building and restaurant managers
Building and restaurant managers use commercial grade heating and air conditioning units and water heaters. Industrial kitchen appliances are necessary to prepare food for large amounts of people every day.
Apartment complex managers
Each unit in an apartment complex comes with a water heater, air conditioner and heater. Many apartment complexes include washers and dryers in each unit. Managers need to keep replacement appliances on hand in case one breaks down.
Compare Reviews for Top Appliance Brands
Read 227 Reviews
Incorporated in 1963, BUNN is a privately-held company that designs and manufactures dispensed beverage equipment. It focuses on providing coffee and tea makers for both home and commercial use.
Read 474 Reviews
Thermador produces kitchen appliances including ovens, refrigerators, microwaves and cooktops. Consumers can request a quote and a demo online for any appliance.
Read 340 Reviews
Rheem manufactures heating, cooling, water heating and commercial refrigeration products. Through its family of brands, it offers the foodservice industry various refrigeration products and equipment.
Read 253 Reviews
Located in Memphis, Tennessee, Hunter has been engineering and manufacturing fans for over 128 years. It offers a collection of ceiling fans that can be customized while still maintaining a consistent style throughout a home.
Read 375 Reviews
Jenn-Air was originally founded in 1947 as an industrial fan manufacturer. It was acquired by Maytag in 1982, which was purchased by Whirlpool in 2006. Today, the Jenn-Air brand sells appliances, refrigerators and cooktops.
|Black & Decker Coffee Maker|
Read 332 Reviews
Black and Decker, Inc. makes multiple models of coffee makers that vary in size and color.
Read 216 Reviews
Sunbeam designs and manufactures electronic home appliances. It was acquired by Jarden Consumer Solutions in 2004, who continues to sell the Sunbeam brand of kitchen appliances and bedding.
Read 273 Reviews
Developed by Montel Williams, the Healthmaster blender comes in two models, the Healthmaster and the Healthmaster Elite. Both models are used for blending fruits, vegetables and many other foods.
Read 246 Reviews
Magic Chef has been around for 85 years and makes multiple appliances for your kitchen and home comfort. It makes two chest freezers ranging in size from 3 to 7 cubic feet as well as upright and portable freezers.
Read 278 Reviews
KitchenAid was started in 1919 and is now owned by Whirlpool. It designs and manufactures multiple countertop appliances including stand-mixers. KitchenAid’s stand-mixers come in multiple sizes and with various functionality.
Read 78 Reviews
Haier was established in 1984 and manufactures and distributes household appliances worldwide. It offers consumers multiple sizes of LED TVs that come with multiple features like auto-volume levelers and dynamic contrast ratio.
Read 433 Reviews
Mr. Coffee designs and manufactures coffee, espresso and iced-tea makers. Its line of coffee makers can brew multiple cups of coffee as well as dispense single cups.
Read 122 Reviews
Founded in 1984 and headquartered in Qingdao, China, Haier is a home appliance and consumer electronics company that designs and manufactures air conditioners, computers, microwaves, washing machines, refrigerators and TVs.
|Rowenta Steam Irons|
Read 285 Reviews
Rowenta is a Germany-based manufacturer of household electrical appliances. It offers multiple steam irons in various colors that include anti-scaling, anti-drip and auto-off features.
|Kenmore Coffee Makers|
Read 35 Reviews
Kenmore has over 100 years of home appliance innovation and has become one of the most recognizable brands for home appliances. It designs a small line of home coffee and espresso makers with various colors and features.
Read 139 Reviews
Bissell is the leading manufacturer of floor care products in North America. Today, it makes carpet cleaners, vacuums and steam and hard floor cleaners.
Read 123 Reviews
Oster is an American manufacturer of kitchen appliances. Founded in 1924, it is known for countertop ovens, blenders, toasters, rice cookers and more. It is the top selling blender brand in America.
Read 44 Reviews
Eureka manufactures vacuums, deep cleaners, hard floor cleaners and steam mops. Today, AB Electrolux manufactures Eureka products.
Read 26 Reviews
Founded in 1990 and located in Bedford, Massachusetts, iRobot builds robots for military and police use. It also designs the Roomba vacuum cleaner, Braava mop and other robotic cleaning solutions.
|Avanti Wine Coolers|
Read 30 Reviews
Avanti designs and manufactures a full line of compact, countertop specialty appliances for rooms where space is limited. Its line of wine coolers are designed to maintain proper temperature and showcase wine collections.
Read 97 Reviews
Conair is a privately-owned company that sells small household appliances. Along with its line of hair care appliances, it offers showerheads and mirrors to fit any home.
Read 77 Reviews
Founded in 1950 and located in Sweden, Asko is a worldwide producer and distributor of household appliances such as refrigerators, dishwashers and washing machines. Its appliances boast energy efficiency and smart features.
|KitchenAid Icemaker||Read 20 Reviews|
KitchenAid was started in 1919 and is now owned by Whirlpool. Along with its multiple lines of home appliances, it manufactures and sells an ice maker that produces 25 pounds of ice for home or commercial use.
|Black & Decker Toast-R-Oven|
Read 171 Reviews
|Ronco Showtime BBQ Rotisserie|
Read 56 Reviews
Ronco has been creating kitchen appliances for over 50 years. It has three rotisserie devices with removable, dishwasher-safe parts and can cook multiple large cuts of meat.
Read 21 Reviews
Singer manufactures multiple types of sewing machines, including electronic, mechanical, embroidery and serger units. Singer sells its sewing machines worldwide.
Read 389 Reviews
The Rival Products brand is operated by Jarden Corporation and sells appliances such as slow cookers, steamers, roasters and mixers. Jarden Corporation is a Fortune 500 company and employs over 25,000 people worldwide.
Read 62 Reviews
Originating in Europe, Shark is now located in Newton, Massachusetts and manufactures two series of vacuums, a hard floor cleaner and a carpet cleaner. It’s known for its state-of-the-art dual-brush roll system in its vacuums.
|Danby Wine Coolers|
Read 37 Reviews
Danby has been designing and making refrigeration appliances for over 65 years. Based in Montreal, Canada, it offers multiple refrigeration units for entertaining, including different sized wine coolers.
|Black & Decker Appliances|
Read 52 Reviews
Black & Decker makes budget-friendly home appliances including cooking appliances, coffee and tea makers, blenders and juicers and more. Black & Decker appliances are sold on the brand’s website and at Wal-Mart.
|Black & Decker Steam Irons|
Read 59 Reviews
Black and Decker’s line of steam irons are compact and lightweight. Their Smart Steam technology automatically adjusts the steam level based on the type of fabric being pressed.
|Haier Dehumidifier||Read 7 Reviews|
Haier makes multiple household appliances, including a line of dehumidifiers. Its dehumidifiers come in multiple capacities and powers and are available worldwide.
|KitchenAid Kitchen Utensils|
Read 23 Reviews
KitchenAid was started in 1919 and is now owned by Whirlpool. It makes a line of home appliances including kitchen utensils such as bakeware, cookware and various cutlery sets.
Read 44 Reviews
LG is a home appliance and consumer electronics company headquartered in Seoul, South Korea. Among numerous home appliances, it offers two dehumidifiers that boast impressive features and quiet operation.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.