Find the Best Dishwasher Brands
Compare Top Dishwasher Brand Reviews
Read 1,005 Reviews
KitchenAid is a company that first sold electric mixers and blenders. The company expanded to sell dishwashers to homeowners in 1949, and today, it sells a range of both standard and premium dishwashers in a selection of styles.
Read 537 Reviews
The Whirlpool Corporation, commonly known as Whirlpool, was founded in St. Joseph, Michigan in 1911. The company makes a range of home appliances, including dishwashers, which are available in a wide variety of sizes and styles.
Read 615 Reviews
General Electric was founded in 1892 in Schenectady, New York, and is headquartered today in Fairfield, Connecticut. The company makes a range of household appliances, including portable and built-in dishwashers.
Read 801 Reviews
Kenmore brand has over 100 years of experience in home appliances, including kitchen, laundry, floor and grills. The company provides both built-in and portable dishwashers, with feature like quiet clean, heated dry and more.
|Samsung Dishwasher||Read 781 Reviews|
Samsung is a Korean company known for making high-tech appliances and electronic devices. The company's dishwashers are known for their energy-saving properties as well as their advanced features like WiFi and ultra-quiet cycles.
Read 412 Reviews
LG is an appliance company that was founded in 1959 in Korea, with American headquarters that are located in Lexington, Ohio. The company makes dishwashers that are known for their adjustability, quietness and sleek design.
Read 428 Reviews
Frigidaire, an appliance company originally known for manufacturing refrigeration products, produces a selection of dishwashers for homes. The company is headquartered in Augusta, Georgia, and was founded in 1918.
Read 867 Reviews
Maytag is a home appliance company that began manufacturing appliances in 1893 as the Maytag Washing Machine Company. Today, Maytag sells dishwashers for a variety of homes and budgets and in a range of colors and styles.
|Sears Appliance - Dishwashers|
Read 371 Reviews
Sears, originally Sears, Roebuck & Co., is a company that is famous for selling a wide range of goods, including clothing, home goods and appliances. It offers a range of dishwashers for residential customers at affordable prices.
Read 85 Reviews
Viking Range Corporation became famous for their ultra-luxury gas ranges, but today, they produce a variety of home appliances, including dishwashers. Headquartered in Greenwood, MS, the company has been in business since 1987.
How much is a dishwasher?
The average cost of a dishwasher can range from around $300 to $2,000 before installation. Prices depend on the model of your dishwasher and what added features you want. Installation costs depend on how complex your plumbing is. You can often have your dishwasher installed by the same store where you purchase it.
- Discount dishwashers: There are some nice options at a discount price, though you may sacrifice quiet operation to find a machine that really gets dishes clean at this price point.
- Mid-level dishwashers: Many outperform luxury models and keep the noise down, so before throwing money at your dirty dish problem, be sure to look at a range of mid-level models.
- Luxury dishwashers: Some of these are so quiet you can't hear them running, but the price can be quite high.
What to look for when buying a dishwasher?
You might pay a bit more for a top-rated Energy Star dishwasher, but what you pay for up front you can make back in running costs over the life of the appliance.
- Lower utility bills: Energy Star-rated appliances use less electricity. In fact, dishwasher models manufactured before 1994 might add as much as $35 per month in electric usage.
- Save on water: Newer, more water-efficient dishwashers save an average of 1,600 gallons over the lifetime of the machine, which works out to a monetary savings for you and a more environmentally friendly home.
- Non-rated washers: While dishwashers with no Energy Star rating may come with a lower price tag, they cost you more in the long run, so it pays to spend a little more up front.
Dishwasher models vary in noise level, with the range running from below 46 decibels to above 51 decibels. A noisy dishwasher can disrupt other activities in the area.
- More than 50 decibels: These noisy dishwashers produce as much sound as several people engaged in a lively conversation. This could leave you turning the volume way up on the TV or shouting to have a conversation with friends and family.
- More than 46 decibels: This moderate sound level offers a compromise between the loudest models and the quietest. Typically, they are quiet enough not to interrupt most daily activities, particularly if the kitchen is separate from other living spaces.
- Less than 46 decibels: Often referred to as whisper soft, these quiet machines produce no more noise than a whisper, making them ideal for open floor plans, apartments or other areas where any noise pollution can be a problem.
Dishwashers come in sizes that range from countertop versions designed for flatware to deep tubs that can keep up with a commercial kitchen.
- Countertop: This style of dishwasher is ideal for an apartment or kitchen that does not have space for dishwasher installation. It typically handles flatware for up to four people, and can even do glasses, though that may take a second cycle.
- Under the counter: Built-in dishwashers are permanently installed in the kitchen. They need a recessed location under the countertop with enough clearance not to interfere with traffic flow.
- Free standing: While they still need a considerable amount of space, a free-standing dishwasher usually has wheels to make it easy to move, and it may have hookups designed to go on during use and off for storage.
Modern dishwashers have everything from self-cleaning filters to heated drying. Evaluate what you need your dishwasher to do before choosing options.
- Self-cleaning filter: Self-cleaning filters add more noise during operation, but they help minimize clogged pipes, which can cause a leaking tub. With a manual-clean filter, you need to remember to take it out and clean it regularly to remove trapped food.
- Heated dry: Without a heated drying cycle, water spots on dish ware are common. Make sure heated drying is optional, since it extends the cycle time and uses more energy to operate.
- Soil sensors: Not sure what cycle is appropriate for a particular load of dishes? Machines with soil sensors can determine how dirty dishes are and adjust water pressure to match.
The longer it takes for the dishwasher to clean a load of dishes, the more dishes pile up while it runs. However, energy-efficient dishwashers tend to have extended cycles. Make sure the dishwasher has a selection of cycles so you can choose the best one for each load.
- Less than an hour: Some models have a fast-clean cycle that can have dishes sparkling in just over half an hour. This usually doesn't include drying time.
- Hour and a half: At approximately an hour and a half, many dishwashers can deliver clean and dry dishes, though not for heavily soiled loads. Those can take more than two hours.
- Three hours: A dishwasher can take longer than three hours to complete a wash and dry, depending on the wash style, number of rinse cycles and average drying time. Run these dishwashers well in advance of needing the clean dishes.
What are the different types of dishwashers?
These traditional models have a permanent location and connection to your plumbing and electricity. This is the most common type of model. Standard size is 24 inches. You can install built-in dishwashers yourself, or you can have them professionally installed.
Like built-in dishwashers, this style needs a permanent installation, but the multi-drawer option lets you run a single drawer at a time and choose different cycles for each drawer. This makes them ideal for washing pots and pans at the same time you wash flatware. These are best for small kitchens without a lot of space.
These dishwashers are on wheels and have a sturdy butcher block top, they run by hooking it up to a kitchen faucet. You can wheel them in to use and tuck them away afterward. Sizes range from 18-inches to 24-inches.
Usually set up next to the sink, these models hook up to the kitchen faucet. They are small and best used for flatware, so they make a good choice for apartments and small kitchens.
Restaurants and other commercial kitchens need high-volume washing. For their purposes, commercial dishwashers have a very high capacity and a sterilization cycle.
- Are dishwashers worth it?
- Yes, dishwashers are worth it. Compared to hand-washing, dishwashers:
- Save users time and hassle
- Use less water
- Clean better
- Are more hygienic
- Is 55 decibels loud for a dishwasher?
- 55 decibels is a little louder than average but not extraordinarily so. The average noise level of a dishwasher is about 50 decibels, which is slightly louder than a soft whisper.
- Is it worth fixing a dishwasher?
- It depends on what’s wrong with your dishwasher. If something simple needs repair, like a seal or door latch, it’s worth it. If the issue is more complicated and expensive to repair, such as a broken circulation pump, it may be better to replace it. This is especially true if your dishwasher is older.
- How long should a dishwasher last?
- The average life expectancy for a dishwasher is 10 years, but anywhere between seven and 12 years is normal. Like any appliance, a dishwasher’s longevity depends on its:
- Build quality
- Maintenance history
- Amount of use
- Is it more energy-efficient to use a dishwasher?
- Yes, using a dishwasher is typically more energy-efficient than washing dishes by hand. Most newer dishwashers warm up water more efficiently than your water heater can. If your dishwasher is ENERGY STAR-certified, it often uses half the water as washing dishes by hand.
- What is the decibel level of a quiet dishwasher?
- A quiet dishwasher is 38 to 44 decibels. However, the average dishwasher can go up to 62 decibels, depending on the model.
- Are drawer dishwashers better?
- Drawer dishwashers are better in terms of energy efficiency, water consumption and tailoring the washing cycle to your needs.
- How much does the average dishwasher cost?
- The average dishwasher costs anywhere from $400 to $700. Dishwashers typically come in three separate price ranges (budget, midrange and luxury), which means you can buy a dishwasher for anywhere from $250 to $2,000. You may need to pay an extra charge for installation.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Jenn-Air has been known for quality in the luxury appliance industry since the release of the downdraft cooktop in 1961. The company is a leader in producing appliances with efficient performance and innovative technology.
KitchenAid has been a household name since the release of its first stand mixer in 1919. The company has nearly 100 years of experience crafting kitchen appliances to an exacting standard.
Since it’s founding as the Edison Electric Light Company in 1878, GE has been a household name in appliances. The company's innovation keeps it at the forefront of home design with smart products and integrated technologies.
LG was founded as GoldStar in 1958 in Korea. It is one of the world's largest producers of consumer electronics and household appliances.
Founded in 1916 under the name Guardian Frigerator Company, it became Frigidaire in 1919 and went on to be the most well-known name in refrigerators. As a General Motors subsidiary, Frigidaire also manufactured some of the first washing machines and has now branched into whole-home automation.
Acquired by Whirlpool in 2006, the Maytag brand is one known for dependability. With more than 100 years of experience in the home appliance space, Maytag is a familiar brand.
Whirlpool is the leading manufacturer of home appliances. It operates in more than 170 countries and has global sales totaling over $20 billion.
Founded in 1986, Viking brings commercial cooking into the residential home. The majority of its product line is made in Greenwood, Mississippi.
For more than 70 years, Samsung has been an industry leader across all technology markets. Its investments in medicine, consumer electronics, finance, plant construction and more make it an all-in-one brand.
Originally Roebuck & Company, Sears started in 1886 as a chain of department stores. For more than 100 years, Sears has retained a position as one of the five top-selling department stores in America.
Haier is one of the largest home appliance producers in the world. It has more than 36 million customers worldwide.
Compare Top Dishwasher Brand Reviews
Read 10 Reviews
Haier is known as one of the largest global manufacturers of appliances, and their United States headquarters is located in the heart of New York. The company produces a variety of dishwashers intended for residential kitchens.
Read 52 Reviews
Jenn-Air is a home appliances company based in Benton Harbor, Michigan. The company has been making appliances since 1961, and it offers a range of products for home kitchens, including a line of high-quality dishwashers.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.
Keep an eye on your inbox, the latest consumer news is on its way!