KitchenAid Mixers

Compare Appliances

Research top Appliances recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I don't usually take the time to review products but my experience was so unpleasant that I felt I need to document it. I purchased a KitchenAid mixer (Artisan) because they offered a $50 rebate. Some weeks after I submitted all the paperwork to the rebate dept they sent a postcard saying that I had sent the wrong version of the serial number and code. I had sent one that was on a sticker on the product and they wanted the one cut out from the box, which by the time they wrote to me was thrown away.

Despite it giving the same information and it being clear from all my other documentation that I had purchased their product, they said the instructions had a picture of a scissors and said the word "packaging" so they would not accept the sticker version and denied me the rebate. They also said that in order for me to have the warranty on the product I needed the serial number sticker which they now had (they asked for all originals no copies). When I asked for it back in order to be able to use my warranty they refused and said it was now their property. So not only did they find a nonsense way to avoid honoring my rebate but they actually have made it impossible for me to utilize the warranty on the product. It goes beyond petty and dishonest. The rep was just plain aggressive and hostile.

I know folks have had horrid experiences with the mixer and customer service but I have had an incredible one myself so I want to let everyone know. I purchased Model KSM150PSCU stand mixer from Crate and Barrel in Boston. A couple of months into use the bowl would come loose if the dough was slightly stiff while the machine was in use. This was a huge issue and I called KitchenAid Customer Service. They sent me a brand new bowl and paid for shipping. The lady who helped me was most gracious and nice and apologized. The new bowl came, I put it in and everything worked well for some time (4 months) and yes... you guessed it. The bowl came loose yet again. This happened right after my warranty expired.

So here I am again with customer service. I talked with yet another nice lady. I explained to her the whole history and how disappointed I was that I was having the same problem again. I asked her if they would send me a new clamp assemble at the base of the stand as I suspected that may have been defective. The customer service lady said "I am so sorry you had so much trouble with your stand mixer. Can you wait for a few minutes and I will find a solution that will make you happy." Less than 2 minutes later she came back and said they are shipping a brand new stand mixer to me with all the accessories etc. 1 week later I got a brand new mixer at the apartment. They also sent me a return label postage prepaid and I simply placed the old mixer in the box and sent it back. How can I possibly not be happy! KitchenAid is a great company. I am very happy to write this review. At the end despite all my problems they took care of me. Thank You!

In January of 2014 I purchased a KitchenAid Professional 600 Series mixer (Model No. KP26M1XBU5) for Christmas so she could make bread. Before she got a chance to use it, she was hit with a variety of medical crises. She said she would just continue to use her old mixer (which was smaller than the new one) until it broken. It finally broke last month, and on Christmas Day she took the new one out of the box to use it. After wiping the mixer down, she attempted to use the bowl lift and it broke the first time. While talking to customer service, she turned the mixer over to get the model and serial number and a metal part fell out the bottom which after doing research online we determined to be the bowl lift arm.

What it appears to have happened is the clip that holds the bowl lift rod in place with the bowl lift arm was not included, so when she attempted to use the bowl lift for the first time the rod slipped out. She called customer service back, thinking that they would fix the problem since the product was obviously defective. Instead, they "graciously" offered to sell her a refurbished model at 25% off. The mixer we have is BRAND NEW even though it has been in the box for three years, yet because it is out of warranty they believe they have no obligation to stand behind their product. To say that I am underwhelmed with KitchenAid customer service is a colossal understatement.

I purchased a KitchenAid stand mixer as a Christmas gift for my married daughter. I purchased it from Kohl's which was promoting the product heavily as a Christmas gift. I was planning on getting a $30 rebate. I had the receipt and form ready. However the rebate ended on 12/27. The gift hadn't even been opened yet. When I called the rebate center to ask about an extension they were rude and said no exceptions. I said so my only choice was to give a gift with the box cut apart to get the required UPC code. They said yes. I said that would be tacky. They said if I wanted the $30 rebate I had no choice. I also said the company strongly promoted their products as Christmas gifts yet the deadline was only two days later. Rebates being offered currently go from early December to the end of January. I would not recommend this company solely based on poor customer service over the phone.

For years I wanted to get my wife a KitchenAid mixer. After shopping for a good deal I finally purchased for Christmas 2014. Here we are, December 2016 and the beautiful red Artisan mixer is essentially a high priced boat anchor. Gears are thrashed & this machine has been used probably 30 times total. Called KitchenAid customer service, oh my, what a joke, they pretty much know that their product is inferior and then want you to spend $95.00 getting it back to them and have them evaluate the problem. The repair bill is estimated to be up to $250 and then we would have another 18 month machine. No thank you.

GOOD NEWS... We purchased a Kenmore Elite mixer on sale for $175.00, it comes with a 3 year warranty, more powerful motor, and ALL OF THE KITCHENAID ATTACHMENTS FIT RIGHT ON TO THE ATTACHMENT HUB on the Kenmore Elite. I hope my comments help someone make the decision to not purchase the very inferior KitchenAid mixer, the company is not the same as the original, wonderful mixer that lasted decades (HOBART). The brand was purchased by Whirlpool and has since become JUNK.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid?

What if you're like me and you only wanted the mixer for bread making, and the hooks that come with it were not the ones that are suppose to come with it? I called customer service and she confirmed that they were the wrong dough hooks. So I asked if I could send them back, "No, but you can order new ones." "Okay how much is that going to be?" "14.95 each" I'm not spending $30 dollars plus shipping, for their mistake. I'll just keep mixing by hand thank you. To be fair, the lady I talked to was nice, she was just doing her job.

I had wanted a KitchenAid stand mixer for many years but just didn't want to spend the high dollar for it. Eventually I found a great deal and bought one. So happy with the color I chose and so excited to have it. UNTIL... after light use, a few cakes and a couple cookie batches, it started clunking and grease ran out of it. Then just stopped working altogether. Never again KitchenAid! These mixers are now a huge ripoff!

I think everyone who is spending hundreds on a mixer should know that KitchenAid will not replace or service their products after the one year warranty. As the other reviewers state even with machines found to be defective you are out of luck and your money. My paddle attachments have chipping paint after a few years' use. I feel that is a potential health hazard. They can only give a discount on new attachments. The motor is also noticeably working harder and the lock will not stay locked when kneading dough. The service rep was nice on the phone.

My husband purchased the KitchenAid mixer for me. We waited 3 years before we felt we were financially able to purchase one. I especially wanted it for the rebate going on in Costco for a free ice cream attachment. My father is on dialysis and his health isn't doing well, so I was in another state for the past couple of weeks. I thought the last day of the mail-in rebate was the last day of November, but when we came back to our apartment we saw that the 29th was the last day. We were really disappointed but had hope that KitchenAid might make an exception for just another day. We called, and they refused to work with us. It got me thinking that if anything happens to the KitchenAid, they will probably provide poor customer service.

Then when I came onto this website and saw the bad reviews, it really solidified our position. My husband does not want to give his money to KitchenAid anymore and we are returning the KitchenAid to Costco because now it is forever associated with bad customer service. I'm very disappointed. I was prepared to be a lifelong customer. Not only that, but I like to recommend products to people because I like to test out different products. Customer service is a huge part of customer experience. Brands are lifelong and get passed onto children, and I'm not prepared to do that with KitchenAid since I always take customer service into account.

I purchased a KitchenAid stand mixer at Kohl's. I used it only a couple of times when I noticed gouges where the head lifts up from the base. We took it back to Kohl's and they were terrific about it and replaced it for me. While we were waiting for them to check on the color that I wanted, Aqua Sky, I looked at the ones that were on display... there were 7, 5 of those 7 on display at the store had gouges in the same spot as the one I had just returned. I just happen to have my camera in my purse, so I took photos of all 5 scratched mixers. I already had a photo of the one that I returned. When we brought the new one home and took it out, it also had scratches in the same place. I called KitchenAid and spoke to a rep and she said they would send me a new one. I told her about the photos that I took, she didn't even want to hear it. So, a couple of weeks ago, we received the new mixer, it looked like there were no scratches.

Today was the first day that I went to make cookies. After lifting the head and bringing it back down, there it was, a SCRATCH!!! I continued to make my cookie dough. All of a sudden, the metal piece on the front of the mixer fell into my batter. I dug it out, and then I noticed that my batter had black in it. I scrapped the dough... washed the mixer bowl for the second time, made a new batch of dough, and once again, black in the dough. Right now the bowl is in the dishwasher, and I'm using my vintage Sunbeam mixer to do my baking today.

I put in another call to KitchenAid and I'm waiting for a callback. I was so excited to get this mixer and it's turned into a big headache!!! I also sent in a rebate and was told in a letter that I wasn't eligible. That same day that I bought the first mixer, I bought a second one as a gift... I hate to even think of someone that I give this to having as many problems as I'm having!!! I haven't yet taken a photo of the scratch on my 3rd mixer!

I'm saddened to read of all the horrid experiences people are having with KitchenAid products. I'm specifically writing to partly compliment the company (as it used to be) and maybe to explain some of the more recent disappointments. KitchenAid was started in 1919 by the Hobart Corporation. I have the heavy-duty Hobart KitchenAid K-5A stand mixer, which has served faithfully since about 1970. I would be lost without it! I'm actually trying to find someone who "tunes up" these mixers, because it could probably use a little TLC, and I'll happily pay the equivalent of a new one to have my old workhorse keep on going. I also have a KitchenAid refrigerator, which I bought in 1987 for $1,000 (a lot of money then, "top of the line"). Seriously! It is still in my kitchen chugging along! That's the good stuff, though.

The KitchenAid story continues... In 1986 Whirlpool Corporation purchased the KitchenAid company, so - effectively - in my mind the products are now actually "Whirlpool". I'm sure if I'd purchased my fridge a year or two later, it would now be long dead (I'm guessing in 1987 it was still the "old" quality stock.). It's too bad the quality of the company as it existed for so many years is no more, and the current owners are still riding on (and apparently ruining) the reputation of the original KitchenAid (Hobart) company and products. I can't come to any other conclusion, but it really isn't the same company we used to know.

I always wanted a KitchenAid mixer, but we could never afford one. We were at a used electronics store and there was one sitting there for $35! It happened to be Mother's Day weekend, so my husband grabbed it. I don't know how old it is, but it was definitely old when we got it and I've had it for 8 years now. I use it several times a week, usually for bread dough, and have never had any issues.

My KitchenAid mixer has stopped working after 6 years of LIGHT use. It was used maybe once a month and stored under a dust cloth in a cabinet. I contacted customer service and they want me to purchase shipping to their service center for $42 and pay $50 to diagnose the problem. I asked how a lightly used mixer that was meticulously cared for could stop working in such a short period of time. The rep said that sometimes mixers break and it is not due to use or care. Since their mixers break regardless of use or care (per rep) then apparently the company has a quality control issue. I asked for a free diagnostic of my mixer. The company refused any responsibility since the mixer was more than one year old.

The company admitted to me the MIXERS ROUTINELY BREAK DUE TO THE POOR QUALITY but insisted that it was my responsibility to fix it. They expect $92 to diagnose a mixer that was HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS new (and not very old) and even more money to fix the problem (repairs cost $50+). So I am supposed to pay $150++ to repair a $300 mixer that is practically new??? STAY AWAY FROM KITCHENAID PRODUCTS!! Total junk! (I had a KitchenAid mini chopper that motor quit on me recently too- 1.5 years old and out of warranty) Never again.

My father gave me a KitchenAid mixer as a present for my birthday last year. I was really elated when I opened the box because I have been wanting to have one ever since. He got me the pink color and it made me more excited to use it because that is my favorite color. It even came with a booklet that contains delicious recipes that I can't wait to try. I used it already to bake my husband's favorite - banana bread and it didn't disappoint. The batter was mixed thoroughly in a matter of just a few minutes. I'm looking forward to using it again.

I got this KA Stand Mixer about 3 years ago and very seldom use it. For the first year, it worked fine; however, since about 2 years ago, every time I use it, the motor gets really hot. I don't use this often, not even once every 3-4 months. And today, I'm in the mood of making bread and in the middle of process suddenly it stopped. I can't believe this mixer with its price only lasts less than 3 years, especially for me who probably only use it 3-4 times a year. Very disappointed.

I paid $600.00 for a KitchenAid Mixer at Kohl's, and it broke down 1.5 years later. Of course, the company will not back it as the warranty is for 1 year. I chose to order the parts and fix it myself with my husband, who is a mechanic. The repaired unit lasted 10 months. Same problem. Are they using cheap metal parts or what? My suggestion to anyone buying one in the future, get the extended warranty or find another brand. Check the reviews on stuff before buying. My first mixer lasted 35 years, and I used it for making bread weekly for all those years. Their customer service treated me like I was an inexperienced idiot, and didn't know how to use it.

I spent the money and bought the 600 for the power because I make bread. The machine was made in 2014. I've had it for 9 months. Gear box burned out because they are made of very soft metal. I have only used it in the house for light duty. Customer service for KitchenAid was terrible. No warranty, no help. When did this company go so far down the tubes? 6 months out of a $600 mixer! Stay away from this garbage!!!

I am a disappointed user of the KitchenAid Artisan stand mixer. Ever since its purchase in 2015 January I have had to call the company for one repair or the other. It moves and wobbles while mixing. The screws keep falling out.

My KitchenAid mixer was not worth the money. It shakes when using it. The pin located in the back of the head keeps coming out. You have to keep adjusting each attachment when you use them, and it gets really hot when you use it for a period of ten minutes. Warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on. This company should BACK their products, especially when the price is so extreme and consumers try to purchase "name brand" appliances assuming they would last. I am so very disappointed with KitchenAid. The quality of KitchenAid is so poor that I wouldn't take a new one IF you even offered a significant discount! I rarely use mine, maybe once a month, and to have it act up like this is not acceptable...

Do not let the "KitchenAid" brand fool you! I've gone through TWO of the exact same mixers, both only lasted 1.5 years and both broke the same way! When my first mixer (KitchenAid professional 600) broke only 1.5 years into using it, KitchenAid customer service offered me to pay $150.00 to send a replacement mixer. They said this mixer must have been defective. I was not impressed to pay the $150.00 for a company error such as a defective product. This should have been their responsibility to stand behind their product! I paid the $150.00 for the replacement mixer, which I was assured would not happen again. Not only did the exact same issue happen again, it actually lasted the exact same amount of time - 1.5 years! How this company gets by selling an $800.00 mixer that completely breaks down within 1.5 years (half a year outside of the warranty by the way), is beyond me.

So we phoned KitchenAid customer service once again explaining everything expecting them to replace this faulty product. Not only did they not offer to fix it, or replace it, or for me to pay $150.00 for a new one, but they offered 15% off a new mixer! Why would I spend another 800$ on a NEW KitchenAid product KNOWING it only lasts 1.5 years and KNOWING how terrible they treat their customer and their own company doesn't even stand behind their products. By 'breaking down' I mean it completely stops mixing and makes a loud sound as if the motor is breaking down. It is completely useless. I own a custom cake company and we used it for icings & small batch batters in addition to our larger mixer. Never used it for anything strenuous like bread or pizza dough (although you would hope it could handle that also - it does come with a bread hook after all).

I will never buy another KitchenAid product ever again, I strongly DO NOT recommend this product! I'm sure KitchenAid has other products that work fine, however, after experiencing their useless terrible customer service I will never trust their brand on another product. If they can't even stand behind their product(s)/brand then how can you feel good about buying it? The second you have a problem - they're gone!

KitchenAid MixMaster keeps falling apart and dropping globs of black grease into the food I am repairing. The part that holds the mixing heads on keeps dropping down during mixing. There appears to be nothing that holds it together. I own a very expensive piece of junk. I've only had it about a year, it was purchased at Bed Bath & Beyond. Very sad. I now need to find a brand that will make my life easier not more frustrating.

My 600 series KitchenAid mixer seized up in just over one year of very light duty use. Estimate of total hours of operation 45. The gear drive ground to a halt. I opened the housing to find a number of gears had been shredded and numerous teeth were missing from the gears. This is a sign of unusually cheap metal. I believe them to have a high content of zinc as they had the dull appearance of a form of pot metal or possibly slag. The gears were certainly not steel. I called, service was not friendly or helpful, and were relieved the machine had just passed the warranty period. I will avoid the cheapened KitchenAid brand from now on.

I purchased a KitchenAid Artisan Mixer at Hudson's Bay Nanaimo, BC for a Christmas gift. I wanted a white colored one and on the box it said the color was white but when it was opened Christmas morning it was a dark purple color. We did not even remove it from the box but instead closed the lid and tried to exchange it couple days later but the staff at Hudson's Bay stated they have no white ones left and there are no white ones to be ordered from the warehouse. They also said they would not know when they would get more in. We asked them if they could call us when they get them in and one girl said they can't phone us but for us to keep checking in. We don't live close by so it would be both inconvenient and costly with gas to keep checking in. (We can phone them daily but what annoying inconvenience to do this daily)

We asked the staff if they could phone other stores but they said no one will answer the phones as it is few days after Boxing Day and no one will answer the phones at the other stores. Our family was disappointed this Christmas day as we were going to use the mixer to make special Christmas bread recipes for Christmas dinner but we could not do that. (Unless we wanted to keep the purple mixer) We will just have to wait for the white ones to come and since they cost a fair amount I think that we should not settle for just any color when we want the white one.

I know there is such a thing as human error but these toys aren't cheap and someone should be checking that the product matches what it states on the outside of the box. Next time I buy anything in a box I will literally take it out of the box to make sure I'm getting what it says on the box. Funny, I even double checked with the store clerk to make sure it was white and she read right on the box that it says it is white. Now we may have to wait months for it to arrive at the Nanaimo store.

The review by Yvonne-** of Blairgowrie, 2/2015 is spot on. This Artisan Kitchenaid mixer must have been designed by someone that has never used a mixer. It is a waste of money and now that I am back to my old Black and Decker, I am free of hassle. Now, how to get rid of this piece of junk...

After I used my mixer I am not able to remove the bowl from the base.

I have just purchased a KitchenAid Mixer after many years of owning a Kenwood Mixer. I have found it difficult to put the whisk and beater in place and after three days of use the beater base has now had some area of paint knocked off and you can see the metal underneath it. Has anyone else had this experience?

We received, for our wedding, a KitchenAid professional 600 mixer that was manufactured in 2007. This (a KitchenAid mixer- old style 4 qt.) was what my parents received 35 years ago for their wedding and was a tradition I was excited to continue someday with our 6 (and counting) children. Unfortunately, after about 1-2 years of light use, the planetary housing began to come loose and work its way off, falling into the bowl. After using it like this for a while, it became unusable.

I put it away, trying it every so often in hopes I could get it to stick, but eventually it was clear that it was broken. After moving into our new house and getting settled, I decided I would try to figure out what was wrong. I was told by KitchenAid that I could spend $70 to ship it to them just to find out what was wrong, plus shell out more for parts and labor. I found a video online that showed exactly how to take the machine apart and replace parts. I ordered the planetary that matched my model number but when it came, it was a fraction (about 1/6-1/8) of an inch too short.

After multiple calls to KitchenAid (and to the nice people at replacement parts shops), I'm still stuck. KitchenAid offers ZERO technical support, only works through their own specific repair centers and can't so much as tell me the part number that would work. I live HOURS away from their certified repair centers and refuse to pay $70 in shipping (+parts/labor) when I could easily repair the mixer myself, if only I could purchase the proper planetary. I will never buy an appliance from this company again! For $450+ you would think they would stand behind their product for more than a year and when the warranty is expired anyway, you'd think they could at least help you find the right part! Horrible customer service!!!

KitchenAid mixer tipped over while kneading bread dough. Tipped over and almost fell off the counter. My wife caught the mixer while it was still running and the power cord prongs were bent but still inside the wall outlet. After turning it off and examining the cord, I had to bend the 3 prongs back to normal, inspect the mixer for cracks or scratches, and found a scratch on the nose of the front of it. Not serious. I checked for anything loose, scratches or cracks, and found none. I do not know if I will have to replace it and do not know if damage to the cord or the power outlet has been damaged. Mainly why did it tip over in the first place? Is this normal behavior?

I just bought a new KitchenAid 600 to replace the one which had given me faithful service for decades. I tried to find someone to repair the old unit because I have been told both by dealers and users that the new ones are flimsy in comparison. When I got it home, I tried to set it up. This led to the first surprise, i.e. how difficult it is to put the bowl in the stand. There is a metal spring, apparently intended to stabilize the bowl, which makes it difficult to place the bowl on its stand. I tried calling kitchen aid only to find that customer service is not open weekends and was informed that I should call back between 9 & 5, Mon-Fri. Isn't that convenient? I will never buy KitchenAid again.

My family as a group bought me at Christmas the top of the line Professional model which I obtained at Target some years back. Used it very little, but was concerned about the loudness of the machine. Used it infrequently and then didn't use at all for about a year and a half, then retired and started to make cookies on a weekly basis. Machine suddenly came to a screeching halt and locked up. Contacted Kitchen Aid and sent with shipping bill to determine cost and reason. Cost appeared to be a generic amount of $200 but no explanation of the problem.

In Phone call lady indicated the problem on they’re looking at the mixer was my misuse of the machine; it was visually abused. [Wished I had taped this call]. Then the reason it was because I hadn't used it once every month to lubricate the gears. I asked why wasn't that need stated in their documentation? She hemmed and hawed. She stated that the shop said the machine had dirt on surfaces, etc. I was flabbergasted and had her check if they had somehow confused it with another machine.

Finally, had it shipped back without fixing. It still appears the external machine is pristine [not convinced that they even opened it up to look] and is now sitting in the original box. Found out I got my mixer just after Kitchen Aid was sold to Whirlpool and mixers before that the mixers were pretty much indestructible. Meanwhile I am still using my old antique Sunbeam for the same uses with no problems. I would avoid any Kitchen Aid product.

KitchenAid Mixers Company Profile