3.21/5
Based on 29 reviews that contain star ratings

29 Bissell Vacuums and Carpet Cleaners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

This is the only complaint I have about an otherwise well-designed product: The hose is stiff, and very hard to maneuver...and it WILL eventually tear open. Of course you can use duct tape to tape the tear closed, but then the hose will tear at another place. Bissell used cheap crappy material for the hose to save a few bucks. I would have gladly paid 10 or 15 dollars more for a quality hose. Come on Bissell, you can better!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Everyone should know never buy anything from Bissell!!! Why? I bought a Pro Heat 2X® Revolution® Pet Pro Carpet Cleaner | 2283 Model #: 2283 from them and thru a series of events did not have a chance to use it right away. When I did try to use it, it did not work, would not dispense water. Their response, "Here are instructions on how to take it apart and hope you will be able to fix it." Hopefully will be able to find 2 others with similar experience so we can launch a class action and stop this from ever happening again.

Get expert buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I purchased a Proheat 2x Revolution Deep Cleaner last year to replace a Hoover that I had used for over a decade! It was used approximately 4 times, and the suction stopped working. I brought it to the recommended service center, only to be told it is a piece of junk and not fixable. I called Bissell, as it is still under warranty, and a file was opened. I was told to expect a call back.

After a week and no call back, I called them again. The representative placed me on hold while she “checked with her supervisor” on status of this. After being on hold for twenty minutes, I hung up and called back. The next representative also placed me on hold. When she finally came back on the line, all she could tell me was she would “escalate” my claim to the next level, and someone would call me back. I think their strategy is to build a poor quality product, take your money, and frustrate you until you give up. I will NEVER buy another Bissell product again, and I will make sure to tell all friends and family to avoid. This was a complete waste of money, and hours of my time trying to troubleshoot, get repaired, or get some resolution through customer service.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Dear Bissell, I really would have LOVED to send you my barely used Bissell PowerLifter Bagged Pet Vacuum (you know, the one that shot flames out of the vents in my daughter's small upstairs bedroom while between her quilted bed and wooden bureau...) packed into this Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean vacuum box, but it didn't fit and you really weren't surprised by my emails nor interested enough to send a suitable box. So I'll stop being the naive consumer who thought you'd want to determine whether there was a design defect in the model versus a manufacturing defect with this one unit. Silly me.

But thank you so much for eventually coming around and telling me that IF I wanted to mail it back and IF you determined there was a defect, you MIGHT send me another??? I guess I'm just a little paranoid about trusting your brand to not burn down my house and family to give it another try. Instead I found a company that actually recognized the potential danger and built in auto shutoff safety features. I'll spread the word!!

Original review: July 30, 2018

I received a Bissell Smartclean robotic vacuum as a Christmas present in 2017. The battery failed (error E6) and I contacted customer service to replace it. I was told since I could not produce a receipt it was not covered under warranty. So I then asked, "Ok how much is the battery." I was then told they no longer manufacture the battery and to search Amazon to see if I could find one. I searched Amazon and everywhere else and I cannot find a replacement. I contacted CS again and was told just bring it to a repair shop.

Why would I bring it to a repair shop when all it needs is a new battery. So now I’m stuck with a $300 piece of junk because Bissell doesn’t manufacture replacement batteries for their robotic vacuum that’s less than a year old!!! I will never purchase anything from this company in the future and will never recommend any Bissell anything to anyone! It’s a racket to get you to buy a new one!!! Horrible company and customer service too!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bissell Vacuums and Carpet Cleaners?

Original review: July 28, 2018

I purchased the Bissell ReadyClean Steam Machine Model 40N7 and upon opening the box and assembling discovered that it did not work. After talking to the Bissell representative and confirming that it did not work, she suggested that I return it to the Key Largo service center (a distance of 287 miles). She was finally convinced to replace the machine but I had to respond to her email by sending a photo of the machine, receipt, and photo of the model/SN sticker on the machine.

I complied and then received another email in the mail demanding that I take another photo of the machine with the electrical cord cut and another photo of the model/SN sticker. Unfortunately, between the first and second email (which I did not read until two days later), I had thrown the machine out with the recycle trash thinking I had complied with their original request. They ignored what I said and suggested that I take the machine back to Walmart for a refund. Their latest email stated that they never mentioned throwing out the machine. My question: Why would I keep a product that doesn’t work? Idiots!

Original review: June 12, 2018

Products don't work and customer service is AWFUL!!! Started on live chat at Bissell website - couldn't help. Given # to call, can't help and transferred to another dept. They can't help and said first # called should have helped. I called back and person now gave meaningless answer. Obviously NEVER understood question and if her answer was correct then product is a complete waste of money. I will NEVER buy from Bissell again. Products can fail but this type of customer service is unacceptable.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I purchased this vacuum (Powerlift pet) approximately nine months ago. I have had nothing but trouble with it. Not terribly expensive, around $100, but I shouldn't have to waste 10 minutes each time I vacuum to either get the top off the "bucket" or even out of the vacuum itself. I tug and pull so hard I think it will break. I have to hold the bucket to get the top off. Then my clothes are dirty. Ha! Now try to line up the lid back onto the bucket and it won't line up. Five more minutes there. Don't forget putting the bucket back on the vacuum itself. Right. It does suck well.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Had problems with the Bissell Powerlifter pet vacuum 1793 right out of the box. I used it once and the brush roller broke. After complaining to Bissell several times they sent me a free brush roller replacement, which also broke the first time I used it, but I'll get back to that. When changing the roller I noted that the first roller was melted at the ends and was nearly welded to the vacuum, so I called Bissell and they assured me that it was just a faulty roller and that after replacing it the vacuum would be safe to use, which brings me back to the now broken replacement roller.

I immediately checked it when it stopped turning and burned my fingers on the melted plastic. It was so hot, it was smoking. I've tried contacting Bissell several times since and keep getting the runaround. They won't replace the vacuum and I don't dare try to use it again. The last email that I sent to them I told them that I was throwing the vacuum away and would never buy another Bissell product again. They sent me an email back saying that they were sorry that I was not satisfied with my purchase and asked if there was anything they could do. After more emails they claimed to have no record of my complaints. They even removed my review from their website and have blocked other reviews I've tried to post there. I bought a Bissell because I thought they were the sort of company that would stand behind their product... I was wrong.

Original review: May 10, 2018

My grandson bought me a new vacuum, I had never used a Bissell before and I was impressed. I have 2 dogs, a Husky & a Great Dane. Husky sheds hair, so it can be all over. The Bissell's suction - fantastic.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I love this for all my wood flooring. It has great pick up and even gets the corners and edges. The only thing I don't like is that you can't adjust/repair the handle and that seems to be what goes wrong with them after awhile. Worth the price even so.

Original review: May 6, 2018

My Bissell pet vacuum has worked well for over 3 years. It picks up lots of debris, hair, dust and dirt. I love the fact that it doesn't have bags to dispose of and purchase. There are 3 filters to clean/replace. But the sound recently went from normal noise to very loud. We took it to a repair shop, and it needs a new motor. I will have to wait 6 weeks for the repair since the motors are on backorder.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I like that it has no bag. It has plenty of suction and the rollers help to pick up the ground in stuff! It is easy to push and pull, also. I would recommend it without a doubt.

Original review: May 4, 2018

It's is a good vacuum for the price. It is bagless and it works good. It has too many parts and filters to clean. The canister is in three pieces. The design could be better.

Original review: April 29, 2018

It’s the small one with the detachable small hand vac. It’s ok but hard to take off the handheld one, sort of awkward, and doesn't get into small spaces.

Original review: April 28, 2018

This vacuum is a new brand for me, however, I appreciate its quietness and the lightweight. It picks up very well and it being bagless is certainly a plus. Totally happy with this brand.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I have purchased a Bissell vacuum cleaner last year from Walmart. It's very powerful, light weight, & reasonable priced. So far I'm satisfied with my purchase. I have no regrets. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who's looking for a great vacuum cleaner. I also used it to vacuum between hard to reach places. The suction is so strong & disposing the dust is so easy your hands do not get messy. What I love most about the Bissell vacuum cleaner my mom is a stroke survivor and has advance dementia. She used to coughed a lot (I will not say the name of the vacuum cleaner I had before). But since I got the Bissell vacuum cleaner she's not coughing anymore. There were so much dust in her carpet I was so surprised. I have no regrets about my purchase. Money well spent.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I have Bissell Easy Vac upright, it works great, does a great job, easy to clean out. But no parts are available. I did find a filter I could jury rig & make work.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Although it is supposed to be light, it is rather awkward and heavy at the top. It also won't stand alone, and must be propped against a wall if not in wall stand. It appears much of the dirt gets caught in the filters instead of going to the dirt cup, which necessitates need for washing and cleaning the dirty cup a lot. The pick up doesn't seem to be what I expected. I shall at some point replace it.

Original review: March 29, 2018

The Bissell vacuum does its job well enough, but emptying and trying to clean the canister makes it difficult without taking the dust & dirt back inside. I would like easier please.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Mechanism and accessories are not very sturdy and tend to break down. The upright lock feature is faulty and unit does not stand on it's as the upright handle is heavier than the body.

Original review: March 25, 2018

My Bissell vacuum is very very small so it's easy to push around and works very well and was very affordable. I bought it at Wal-mart and have been very pleased with it. It does not wear me out to use it.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I love this little vacuum. I got the one that vacuums and is a steam cleaner at the same time. Wow did this save me a lot of time or what. I can't even believe how great this is. Now I can vacuum and mop at the same time, just one shot. The craziest thing is the dirt that in the canister is not muddy or icky or goopy or anything. It's dry. Also, it's completely easy to clean out and the Steam Mop it's just right behind where the vacuum is. It's amazing. My favorite.

Original review: March 22, 2018

The vacuum is designed for pet hair and does a better job than my $1,200.00 vacuum all for under $90.00. 5 Year warranty too! No bags to replace makes a big difference in cost of operation. The downside is that the brush always rotates so you need to tilt the vacuum head back to lift it off the floor when using the attachments.

Original review: March 21, 2018

This no bag vacuum is not anywhere close to matching how "wonderfully" easy, versatile, and thorough "deep" cleaning as it is advertised. It is manufactured extremely poorly. The filtering part of the vacuum is a real joke. I have to take the canister which holds the dirt out, empty the dirt and set it aside. Next, I have to remove the bottom canister which holds the filter if that's what you want to call it. The advertised "top quality" filter consists of an accordion mesh held together by plastic pieces and a cheap sponge like filter that I have to clean under a tap. The filth that comes out of it is sickening. My apartment is only 600 square feet. It is not all carpeted. It was the same where I used to live as well.

Original review: March 20, 2018

The Bissell is a very inexpensive vacuum but you pay for what you get. The earlier version worked very well but the latest ones have been subpar. You shouldn't have to spend a lot of money to get a decent vacuum cleaner. The fancy BIG Name ones cost a lot and really don't function as well as they say.

Original review: March 19, 2018

My Bissell cleanview multi cyclone picks up the most dog hair of any vac I ever owned. It also removes dirt that no other vac has removed. My carpeting is cleaner than ever.

Original review: March 18, 2018

The model I have was top of the line when purchased, has removable lift off module that works great, has great suction, cleans up easily and provided great value for the price.

Original review: March 16, 2018

It's a small but very powerful vacuum cleaner, very nicely designed and built! The attachments enable hard floor surface cleaning as well as reaching cracks and crevices - it just sucks it all effortlessly! The bagless construction lets one avoid the need for bag searching. In short - I LOVE IT!

Bissell Vacuums and Carpet Cleaners Company Information