Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Singer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

Gentlemen, Overall I am satisfied with the services provided to me this morning. However, I feel that I must relay the following information to you. This machine was purchased new approximately 2 years ago and since then has worked well with only occasional issues which were resolved by cleaning the machine. This time however the bobbin holder could not be replaced. The next day the following happened.

1. The phone number listed for customer service in our instruction manual has been disconnected. It took some effort to get a working number that I could call for help. 2. The CSR that I spoke with apparently cannot distinguish between a man's voice and a women's voice. Additionally, once this error was pointed out, the CSR did not have enough courtesy to even attempt an apology for this error.

3. When I told the CSR the page number and instruction number that I was looking at, I was told that that was incorrect. Additionally, a customer should not have to repeat a question several times before a answer to the question is received. Also during the conversation, I told the CSR the phone number that was listed in the instruction manual and it clearly states that this number is for North America. Judging by the response that I heard (if I heard correctly) the CSR did not know that Iowa is in North America. The CSR did offer to email me the instructions that I would need and I declined this as I already had instructions in the manual that was in front of me. (This manual also came with the sewing machine.) In the end I was given the name, address and phone number to a local repair facility in Council Bluffs Iowa.

My wife and I then went to the repair facility in Council Bluffs, Iowa and the employee there had absolutely nothing good to say about Singer sewing machines. He even went so far as to say the machines sold in stores such as Wal-Mart were there because Singer could not sell them anywhere else. He then offered to sell us a new machine at a ridiculously high price. The repair price that we were quoted was almost the same as the price of a new machine. After some discussion, we decided to get a new machine. It was built by your competitor and hopefully it will last for a few years.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

My rating on this should be a less than 1 star. Bought my M1500 Singer sewing machine 2 weeks ago and have had nothing but problems. Problem is I can't return it because I bought it at AC Moore which is going out of business and all sales are final. So disappointed with this product. With a name like "Singer" you would think it would work better.

Get expert buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

I ordered the Adjustable dress form (size S/M) directly from their singer.com website. First, they sent me the wrong product. What I received was Dress form in size M/L. I didn't even unpack it. I immediately contacted them to initiate the return. It's been 2 weeks already, and I am still unable to return this product. Apparently, I need to wait for the email from UPS which is never coming. I called them 3 times and talked with their customer care representatives. Nobody is interested to help. Very unprofessional and ignorant people.

Anyway, 3 times by now they informed me that I will receive an email from UPS with the label in the next 48 hours. It's been 2 weeks now. I came with the peace that I will never receive the dress form I ordered from them. Felt need to uncover this. Have this on mind people. Save yourself from frustration and don't order anything online from this company. Btw, it's such a surprise for me as well. I thought differently about them before this experience.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I have bought the Fashion Mate sewing machine online hoping it will replace the Kenmore machine which served me well for 35 years. When I have opened a box, I wanted to cry: the new machine is so cheaply made! I expect it will break very quickly. Although the body is supposedly durable and made from metal, it is not so for many essential moving parts and accessories. Such key elements as spool pin system, bobbin cover plate and some parts you will use to change needles/foot are all plastic and look very fragile.

They likely will need replacement with frequent use. You get only 90 days warranty on these and I see on the web a lot of people searching for help since these plastic parts break. I was hoping to buy a machine which will serve me for many years, but this is not what I got! My advice is: do not buy such a machine online. Go to a store and check that the model you would like to buy is not too fragile for your needs. If I were to make a purchase again, I would look for a model which has as many as possible moving parts made from metal, not from delicate plastic. Replacement parts are expensive, if you add tax (and duties, if you are outside USA). I suspect that they make machines so cheaply expecting that you will buy a new one soon, rather than try to repair them after 90 days covered by warranty.

Otherwise, machine works as it supposed to, not without little nuisances: automatic needle threader does not move smoothly, I have to push the moving part with my finger to get it aligned with the needle. It is not supposed to be this way. Initially thread tension was way off. I wasted a lot of time adjusting top thread (following the instruction manual) until I found that the problem is with erratic tension from the bobbin thread (not adjustable, nothing about that in the manual). I do not do quilting and embroidery, so I do not need so many stitches; instead I would appreciate truly durable and well assembled basic model, which Singer does not seem to sell these days.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I would expect a well known name like Singer to produce quality machines. The Prelude is hands down the most useless piece of crap I've ever sewn with. It constantly jams, cracks needles, has tension issues, loosening screws, goes two speeds, not moving and jet fast, the bobbin thread snaps, it jams CONSTANTLY. I've ruined thousands in clothing and am considering a lawsuit. Anyone know a good faulty product lawyer let me know. I hope everyone involved with the making and selling of these gets cancer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Singer?

Original review: July 16, 2019

I received a Singer Heavy Duty 4423 as a gift last year after my old machine died after 20 solid years of excellent performance. I have to say, within a month, it started having every single problem you can imagine under the sun. Tension, timing, bobbin casing, jamming, thread tangling and coming off of the guides to create massive havoc on my life. It goes 2 speeds - off and way too fast. I even caught my finger and stitched it up nicely. There’s a first for everything! I’ve already had to replace the throat plate because the needles kept getting damaged and had chewed giant chunks off the plate.

My latest and last problem, the foot presser pressure. The dial has no identifying markings for “standard”, and the instructions tell you to “remember how far you turned it, so you can turn it back”. The instructions also have a troubleshooting section at the end that indicate possible issues and what needs to be fixed, then recommends you go back to the part in the book where they tell you how to fix it, but never did! Not anywhere! I’ve read it a thousand times over, and have gone online to read the same manual - nowhere. Don’t buy this garbage. I can’t sew to make my income now, and can’t afford to trade this in without being able to sew. ** Singer!

Original review: April 26, 2019

Best about Singer 8280 machine. Hi All, I would like to share my experience about Singer sewing machines. After reviewing the bad negative comments I really don’t want to buy the Singer brand. But when I visited the Singer Company showroom shop in Pondicherry I was really impressed by the way they teached. Special thanks to Mr. ** sir Who guide me to buy the right machine for my right purpose. He explained detailedly the do and don't. I simply followed. Now I am really very very happy. Thank you ** Sir.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Please know that I am an experienced seamstress, having sewn for multiple decades. I wanted and expected to love this Singer 4423 Sewing machine. Unfortunately, I have learned two very valuable lessons. #1 - do not buy Singer and #2 - immediately and thoroughly test & use any purchased item. Mistake #1: Believing that the Singer brand equates with quality. This 4423 machine was made in Vietnam. I honestly thought, prior to now, that purchasing an established Name brand such as Singer would be a smart move. Currently, I believe Singer has sold the name to inferior product-manufacturing locations. Quality and durability are no longer part of this brand and customer service does not exist. The manual is poorly written and in several instances, inaccurate. Someone who actually sews should do the writing and editing of any sewing manual!

Mistake #2 - not thoroughly testing the machine within the 30 day warranty period. So this weekend I opened and started using the machine. I read every word in the manual and watched all of the introductory Singer videos on YouTube (they are quite good, actually); so I felt well prepared. Sadly, the machine will not sew. Thread breaks after just two or three stitches, needle threader never worked, and now, after just two painful loud clanking seams in cotton fabric, the sewing mechanism is frozen. I re-studied all of the troubleshooting ideas online and in the manual and then, finally in tears, gave up. Today I called the Singer customer service. They will NOT help me other than to inform me that the warranty has expired and my best option is to have the machine professionally serviced, at my expense. I am the owner of a new but broken machine.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I purchased a Singer serger online from Singer Sewing Company December 13, 2018 for Christmas. The machine was delivered December 17, 2018. It had been shipped unprotected in its retail box, was smashed with a gaping hole on one end. I immediately contacted Singer Customer Care, sent them a photo, and advised them the box's condition was unacceptable. I received a shipping label December 19, 2018 to return the machine for a refund. That was the last I heard from Singer Sewing Company until January 8, 2019 when I filed a BBB complaint against the company. I had emailed Customer Care December 28, 2018, January 3, 2019, January 8, 2019 requesting follow-up on the status of my refund without a reply.

The day I filed the BBB complaint, I received a reply from Customer Care apologizing for their lack of response with a litany of excuses having to do with short holiday work weeks to warehouse closure for inventory. My reply to them was that my refund request had begun before the holiday and year end inventory. Had they not been contacted by BBB to respond to my complaint, I do not believe I would have heard from these people the same day as my complaint. They would have arrogantly been satisfied to have me wait however long it took for the refund to show on my credit card account. I closed the BBB complaint upon learning that my refund was showing in my account the following day. This is to me the ultimate cautionary tale of Branding. A company's brand is only as good as its least satisfied customer however long and established the name.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I purchased one of Singer's Classic 44S sewing machines and have problems with the bobbin jamming up. I tried several times to contact Singer from the number they provided 1 800 474 6437 with the machine but all I keep getting is, "Sorry that number is not available." If they want to stay in business they need to do a better job with their customer service.

Singer Company Information