1.25/5
  • 1 star
Based on 102 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 10, 2017

130 Bissell Appliances Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

Pet vacuum couldn't even pick up small loose bits of eggshells. Pet hair would clog at the floor piece and you have to remove the small hairball just to finish ONE room. The upholstery cleaner would leak all over the floor as you were using it. As both these products were over 3 months old Target would do nothing to help.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

We purchased the Bissell Pro heat Advanced carpet shampooer. Brand new out of the box it didn't work. It wouldn't put down shampoo. I called the customer service. We went through their testing over the phone, they knew it didn't work. They tried to send me to an authorized service place. Why it's new and does not work. I refused! They said they would send a replacement, great. They sent me the cheapest model they sell.

Again I have to call customer service. Finally after 3 weeks without a carpet shampooer, I at least received one like I had originally purchased. Well here it is, one month to the day and the new one does not work. It has the same problem. It won't put down shampoo. Well back to customer service. Frustrating. I could get a replacement same model, but why! In a month I would be in the same boat. All I wanted was my money back, or an upgrade, (that I was willing to pay the difference for), I was refused!!

So I say to any consumer, buyer beware! They don't stand by their products, even when they have obvious design flaws! Also God help you if you have to deal with customer service! They are hard to understand, and their favorite saying is “I'm sorry we aren't allowed to do that." I will never ever buy a Bissell product again. They do not stand by their products, and do not care about their customers! Shame on you Bissell!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

Purchased ProHeat last year and have had nothing but problems since the original machine STAINED my carpet. CustService said this sometimes occurs, but end result is that the machine (and replacement and more cleaners) DESTROYED MY CREAM BERBER!! And I mean DESTROYED!!! The carpet is actually pulling up all over the place! And due to their legalities, they will only offer me a refund for the machine so, get this... I CAN HIRE A PROFESSIONAL!!! I will live the rest of my days telling this story as it took us 15 years to save up for a carpet they destroyed!!! Check out a pic of the stains I have ALL OVER my house!!

Original review: June 19, 2017

I absolutely love Bissell!!! I have never wanted to clean as much as I have since I had gotten my purple Bissell bolt, light, cordless, detachable mini vacuum, plus attachments, and handle is a snap to drop for under object usage. Love, love, love! I really get sad seeing all these negative reviews. So I fell in love with my bolt but one day it stopped working and I have no idea why. My husband called Bissell. After 5 min. conversation they took all my info, ask me for a picture of codes and then sent me a replacement!!! I got it in 2 days by UPS. No receipt or questions asked. Not only that but replaced it with a better version of my purple bolt.

It is a green bolt with more features, plus the ones I love, and a charging stand. Awesome!!! I just cleaned the door jam of my sliding glass door in garage. It gets filled with pine needles like every second. Sucked them all out. Best part I just dumped them back into nature, awesome! I can clean stairs, corners, anywhere and everywhere. Dog hair clean up in a snap. I would recommend this product to everyone! Finally a vacuum I can use... Thank you Bissell!

Original review: June 12, 2017

I bought a Bissell Rug Cleaner (model 1551) at Walmart a year ago. I used it once and then tried to use it for the second time today to clean two rugs in my apartment. The dirty water tank would not fill with water. Walmart will not take something back that has been purchased over 90 days ago. I called Bissell and they gave me the name of a repair shop in New Haven, CT. I spent $200 on this product and it malfunctioned the second time I used it! Don't buy Bissell products!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bissell Appliances?

Original review: May 21, 2017

I have owned 3 Bissell shampoos since December 2016. The throw rug spot shampooer and 2 of their pet ProHeat Revolution. Every single one have broke. The spot shampooer fell over and broke the neck. The ProHeat first one the belt broke and the store where I bought it at does not sell replacement parts not even belts. So I took it back, got another one. Same kind ProHeat. And brand new went to use it and the motor burnt up I guess. Motor just stopped. I think the engineering department really needs to use the shampooer that they design. The Bissell is not user-friendly. It does not compare to Hoover. I want a shipping label to send it back to Bissell. I have my receipt. I have it boxed up, need a shipping label. Never again will I ever buy a Bissell again. They suck.

Original review: May 17, 2017

Even if BISSELL has great products, they have HORRIBLE customer service. I'd like to share my experience with everyone. On Thursday, 4/27, I placed an order for a special that BISSELL was running. You could order the Revolution Pet Pro (2.0) and make monthly payments instead of a one time payment. I ordered the Revolution Pet Pro (2.0) and the Revolution Pet Pro Formula Kit 2. My total order came to $301.50 (including tax). My payments were supposed to be spread out over 6 months with the first month payment a little more than the others - this is where the tax and such was supposed to be paid. I placed the order around 12 or 1 pm CST 4/27/17. I received my order confirmation at 1:52 pm. The order confirmation looked like it had charged me the full amount so I looked at my bank account online. The full amount of $301.50 was sitting in my pending transactions.

I immediately called BISSELL - 2:12 PM 4/27/17. I explained to the rep that the full amount was taken and I would like to change it to monthly payments. They transferred me to the sales dept @ BISSELL Pet Revolution. The sales dept said they could not access accounts and that I had to call back to the original number. I hung up and called the original number again at 2:20 pm 4/27/17. I spoke to the rep there and explained to them what had happened. There was nothing they could do so I asked them to cancel the order. This is 4/27/17 at roughly 2:30 pm. The representative said someone MAY call me back that day or the next day to confirm my cancellation - this makes no sense and I ask the person repeatedly if my order was cancelled and they said yes but someone MAY call me and that I would receive my refund in about 10 business days.

English is not their first language (I'm impressed with anyone that can speak more than one so don't take offense to this) so I figure there must be a little issue with 'may' and 'will'. It was frustrating. I tell the rep I am very unhappy with this call. No one calls me on 4/27/17 or on 4/28/17. My order is supposed to be canceled so I figure it has been taken care of and it will be canceled. I just want to order the thing again and make sure the payment arrangement is correct (I really wanted this carpet shampooer).

On 4/29/17 I receive an email that the order has shipped! I call customer service AGAIN at 4:09 pm CST. I ask why this order has shipped when it was supposed to be canceled. They cannot answer a single question and tell me that I must wait for the order to be returned to BISSELL before I can get my $$ back. They will try to reroute the package and that I need to call back on Monday 5/1/17 to see if that has been done. This is getting ridiculous. The order should have never shipped and now I have to call them back to make sure something was done? What kind of joke is this place.

Lo and behold, I received a package on 5/2/17 from BISSELL, even though they said they would reroute it back to them. I called and told them I was sending it back. And now I had the fun tasks of closing the box back up (I had to open it to get the return label), and dragging it back outside (the box doesn't have handles, it's large, and it's maybe around 40-50lbs - with the extra cleaning products I ordered), and scheduling a pickup with FedEx. BISSELL received their order back on 5/6/17. I FINALLY received my credit on 5/15/17. This order was supposed to be canceled 2 days before it was shipped! This company took money it was not authorized to take and made me jump through hoops to get it back. BISSELL ignored every request I made. I also filed a complaint with the BBB.

I was supposed to have a max charge of about $70 for the first payment instead of $300 and I ended up having to pay my mortgage late. Do yourself a favor, don't buy anything from this company. It's not worth it.

Original review: May 12, 2017

Have had the Bex Bissell Carpet Shampooer for 6 years but only used it about 8 times. Very disappointed with it. We chose Bex for its good name. Very good. Not very good results and now it seems to be broken. Can you help please.

Original review: April 14, 2017

I purchased the original machine at Walmart on 1/16/2016. Worked great the first couple of times I used it, then it quit spraying. Had a so-called extended warranty through Walmart on it - but no phone number, so I contacted Bissell directly to set up a repair appointment. The repair shop couldn't fix it so Bissell replaced it. It was after the 90 days so Walmart wouldn't refund my money, and Bissell won't give me reasonable compensation because I didn't buy it directly from them, so I stuck with the replacement machine.

To make a long story short - I just received my 3rd replacement about a month ago (4th machine!) and Bissell has no record of any replacements except one! I won't even open the box at this time because I hate the machine so much, but it looks like I'm stuck with this horrible piece of junk. I had a much cheaper Hoover that lasted for 5 years, and I switched to Bissell just for the lift off! Oh yes, while waiting for the last machine to get fixed or replaced I had to purchase a cheap spot remover and the only one available was the Bissell - unfortunately! Only 2 months old, and it's leaking everywhere! DO NOT EVER BUY BISSELL! Wish I could give this company a -10 stars! Worst machine ever!

Original review: April 8, 2017

Purchase the 1307 Vacuum, received damaged sent back, called Bissell on several occasions requesting E-mail in reference about returned item & giving full refund, never ever received E-mail. I kept a log on every call of my inquiring about my refund & E-mail. I had to send in copies to my credit card company to file a dispute to get my refund. Also when I received the damaged vacuum I request a even exchange, was told NO I have to wait then order it again.

Original review: April 5, 2017

I purchased a Bissell ProHeat 2X 8920 a few years back. Although I've gotten years out of it I used it on the floor twice a year. So got around eight uses out of it. Always ran clean water through it to finish so the heating core, etc. would have all detergent flushed out. Recently it stopped spraying out of floor. While hand-held sprayer worked. From what I researched the heater can get clogged. Opened her up, and the heater was super clogged with white gunk. Cleaned it out but the gasket and o-rings deteriorated. So after I put it back together it leaks bad out of heater. You're almost better off purchasing one without a heater, and spraying the detergent yourself on carpet. While using only clean water on carpet cleaner to rinse. Long review but wanted to be fair and detailed. Got maybe 15 hours of use out of it.

Original review: March 24, 2017

Purchased a Bissell healthy home deep cleaner for $1299. It's 5 months out of warranty and the machine smells like the motor is on fire. Bissell will not fix it under warranty especially when it's out of warranty by 5 months and it's done less than 50hrs of work. Will never buy a carpet shampooer from Bissell ever again. What a piece of junk.

Original review: March 4, 2017

Trying to buy a new water tank and filter for my Bissell steam mop. Went to the site which directed me to genuine Bissell spares site. If the fact it refuses to work when it decides a cartridge is too old and they are expensive isn't enough. Once put desired products in basket click pay whatever the method the site then directs you to a third site boasting genuine parts at value for money where the products have suddenly increased in price a further 50%. For example £9.99 became £14.99, I tried every payment method still same result.

So then I rang the customer service line on the Bissell page gave basket ref only for advisor to say "I'm sorry madam that product does not appear to exist. Perhaps you could tell me what make & model appliance you have and I will locate it via a search. She found parts and placed order." She then said "that's £39.99 please." I was like what it started off at £14.99. Why is this. She said "I'm sorry you must have made a mistake." I don't have any further details as I put the phone down furious. I will never buy Bissell again. This experience happened on the 04/03/17.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

Currently I am contacting this company to ask for assistance on my Bissell Cleaner (Bissell Stream Cleaner Model number 17n4 12362c). I have used this item - no more than 4 times and the machine started smoking, and blew a fuse line in the house. I have read some of the reviews and this seem to be a continuous issue with this product. Stand by for my solution.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

Bissell Powerforce Helix Vacuum - This vacuum cleans amazingly better than my old vacuum. The first time I used it, it got up very fine dirt and dust that must have been there for a long time. It pulls up so much dirt out of the carpets that the cannister must be emptied frequently, after almost every room. Because we have so much floor space (4,600 sq. ft.) I needed a vacuum with a motor that can handle a lot of carpeting, and this one does. It didn't cost all that much (I think it was about $60 with tax) and I am very happy with it. I like the turbo brush tool for the stairs and for upholstery. Another great feature is that this vacuum readily comes apart for cleaning. It has two washable filters. It's good that it can be cleaned out, because it picks up so much dirt that you will need to clean it. I recommend it highly.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

I have used my BISSELL rug cleaner approximately 4 times, then it quit. I took it to the authorized service centre, where it sat for 3 months "waiting for parts". Then I was told that BISSELL would be replacing the unit under warranty, and would be contacting me. A month later, when I hadn't heard from BISSELL, I contacted their service centre. This was a total disaster, as well. My attempts to speak to someone higher up was met with a voicemail, and another week. I haven't had my rug cleaner since August, and it is now December. To summarize; I would say NEVER BUY A BISSELL! The machine is junk, their service is terrible, and the company does not stand behind their product. TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2016

I think this is a great product! I see nothing but bad reviews for all companies on this site! This vacuum has paid for itself a dozen times over! Powerful suction and dirt removal and I never have had to buy a bag or belt! I just keep the three filters clean and make sure hose doesn't get passage blocked and it has never let me down! People should leave good reviews. I'm sure I'm not alone in my sentiment, 16 years going strong deserves spreading the good word! I will buy another Bissell if this thing ever finally dies from old age... nah, I'll probably repair it myself, it's part of the family now.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2016

I just bought your Proheat 2X Pet Carpet Cleaner. I've used it 3 times and already the belt has broke. Your online help is no good. If you would get people from America they can help me through this. That would be helpful. Now I have to take it in to get the belt fixed because the belt is broke and to me that's very unacceptable for a new machine like this. I've had several Hoover that have never had issues with belts breaking ever. They just serve their use and I had to give them or throw them away. I really would like to just return them and buy a Hoover because I am now so freaking frustrated. I'm not real pleased with your brand at this point, how this is the first time I've ever bought a Bissell carpet cleaner. You should have to reimburse me for my time and the belt even though I was told it was still under warranty so we'll find out because if it's not you're not getting any more money from me and you're going to get this machine back so be prepared.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2016

Bissell's website rejected my ship to address once, so I edited it AGAIN and it shipped to the bill to anyway. I called immediately after this happened and customer service could do nothing even though it was FIVE MINUTES after I ordered. The website also kicked off the second container of a cleaner that was a "two for" deal meaning that if I wanted two I would have to pay more. They told me to change the address with FedEx, but whoops, it was a cheap FedEx shipment which was handed off to the Post Office so they couldn't change the ship to address. Now the packages are separated and God knows when I'll ever receive them. I reordered the one part on Amazon and I'm hoping I have better luck there. This is the DUMBEST customer service and WORST website ever. I won't buy another of their products because of this. Unfortunately I own two.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2016

I purchased my carpet cleaner and it is less than 1year old and I have had many issues with the soap dispenser and the water. Now it doesn't work at all. I live nowhere around a service center and will say this, I will NEVER purchase a Bissell product again. WalMart doesn't stand behind them and there is nowhere within 75 miles to take it for repairs. Seriously you should be able to shampoo your carpets more than 5 times. I would also like to add I do not have pets nor children if you were thinking its failure to operate was anything to do with my care or usage of this product.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2016

I just bought a Bissell Pro Heat Revolution/Pet carpet cleaner 2 months ago, from Tv infomercial I used it once upstairs... cleaned well. After the next couple days I brought it downstairs to use on the living room. It would not fill in the dirty water tank and all the water soaked the floor. I called and spoke with a gal that had accent issues, and after We finally understood one another, she said cut the cord and send it back to them. Did so. Now onto the second machine that they sent me to replace the first. I used it once in living room... cleaned well... Went into the bedroom the next day to clean that rug and had the same issues!!!

I called them right away. Long story short... after the gal walked me through the same scenario to try to fix, she put me on hold and then came back to say the 60 day warranty is up (from first machine mind you) and they cannot give me my money back nor can they replace the machine!!! Well Done Bissell!! At this rate you'll have thousands of unsatisfied customers and a ruined namesake for your forefathers who started business. I'm not through with them yet... I don't go down easily... They haven't heard the last of this... I want my money back. Your company is very unethical in your practices. DON'T BUY BISSELL. READ ALL CUSTOMER REVIEWS FIRST. They obviously do not care about customers once the sale is complete.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2016

Bought PowerForce in July 2015. Called in May 2016 for brush not spinning. I was told it was the belt and replaced it. Called 8/01/2016; same issue. Was told this time to replace the brush. I would have to pay for the part because the warranty expired even though this is the second time calling to fix the same issue. I've always used Hoover and never had such a short life with their products.

Original review: July 16, 2016

This is the third shampooer I've had in 2 years. The same thing happens. Front pops off, stops suckin water, stops spraying. I'm fed up and want to be refunded or get another one. Or maybe you should fix the problem. Several friends tell me they have same problems.

Original review: July 2, 2016

The ProHeat Pet, this so advanced deep cleaning system carpet cleaner was given to us as a gift. We used it one time, and thought it left the carpets pretty wet. We did our late spring into summer cleaning and decided to do the carpets again, however, this it basically just soaked the carpet and did not pull any water out! I would not recommend this to anyone that has a nice carpet, especially with a thick pad underneath.

Original review: June 7, 2016

I bought two Bissell Ready Clean at the same time. One for the upper level and one for the lower level. Used the second cleaner one time, put it away properly and then did not need it for several months. Took it out today to use and the cleaner leaks the whole tank full of fluid into one location. Tried customer service. Failure and any costs related to the repair are on me because it's older than a year even though it's been used once.

I am an engineer, so I thought how hard can this be. Took the O-ring out at the seat of the tank and replace. Still leaking. Opened and checked hoses, all clear, but there is a crack in the main line. No fixing this except with perhaps some industrial strength glue and then no guarantee. Money wasted. Might just as well rent a cleaner from a local "rental" place as the other unit has worn out as well after only a few uses. It might be a hassle to pick up and return, but at least they guarantee the unit. And by the time you figure out the cost to purchase your own and your time, not worth the money; or better yet, call someone to clean the carpet if you can afford it and use spot cleaner in between!

Original review: June 5, 2016

Previously we had a Hoover steam mop with dual tanks. It lasted about a year. We replaced it with a Bissell Powerfresh which was supposed to be the best. It also lasted about a year. It appears that none of the steam mops are made to last very long! They are now all made in China and don't seem to be made cheaply and to not operate for very long! We advise that all should stay away from cheaply made appliances that are made in foreign countries!!!

Original review: May 31, 2016

Comment: I had purchased a Bissell Powerlifter Pet Vac about a year ago. Model Number: 1309, Serial Number: 15019101E. It worked great and picked up a lot of pet hair. The Febreze scent was nice. It worked fine till about a month ago. We noticed it wasn't picking up the dirt and hair. It was spitting it back out. We checked the filters, the bottom one was a little dirty so we replaced it. It still wasn't working right so we thought it was the belt. We took it apart to replace the belt and it was just sitting there and wasn't connected. We replaced it and the belt wouldn't stay on the metal piece. After checking it further, it looked like the housing was melted.

I called Bissell, they said to take it to a Bissell Service Center. It had been a few weeks, so I called them. They said the vacuum housing is melted and the motor is rusted. They said it would have been caused by moisture and warranty wouldn't cover it, they also said it could not be repaired. I only had this vacuum for a year and now I have to buy another one. It should last longer than a year, since it cost $100. We used it daily to pick up dirt and hair. Normal usage should not cause it to break. Obviously there is an issue with this vacuum. We do not vacuum over anything wet so I don't understand where moisture would come from.

We are very upset and now have to come up with money to buy another vacuum, when we have been without a working vacuum for several weeks now. This is not an acceptable way to run a company. What's the point of a warranty when it won't cover anything? This issue should be covered by warranty when we didn't cause the problem. This vacuum is defective. Vacuums should not have to be replaced every year. I contacted Bissell right away. They said they would check into this problem. I never heard a response from them. They don't seem to care once the product is purchased.

Original review: April 14, 2016

I purchased our Pro-heat Pet February 10, 2015. Costing $143.00. The serial # UDC89108141761546... my family has used this maybe 6 times since purchase and now it is in the shop. We were told the unit has a leak in dirty water tubes or tank and the pump is not working and will not spray, and that if the pump was fixed it would leak dirty water all over. I am not happy about this situation at all... I called your customer service dept. and was given an ID number to give to repair shop and the shop was told that your company was not responsible and that I had to pay for the repairs... So first?? Why an ID number if you're not paying for it?? Second?? Why am I having to have this in the shop to begin with?? Why should people continue buying your products and they do not last more than 14 months... I am very dissatisfied!! And now stuck with repairing it or buying a new unit!!! Not happy at all.

Original review: March 8, 2016

I have the CleanView Complete pet, and the only thing I like is the auto cord. After 7 uses it does not have any suction. It's not worth the money. I paid 170.00 for my vacuum and I am done. We have taken apart, cleaned it and nothing... They should not be allowed to sell their products. Never again.

Original review: March 3, 2016

I went online to order parts for my 1189 floor sweeper. Found out online, had to have a US address, so called. Spoke to a woman with very poor English, corrected her mistakes several times. After 35 minutes on the phone placing the order, spelling the address, giving my card number going over and over everything, I was asked if my billing was the same as my delivery address, which it isn't as I am a snowbird with two houses, one in Florida and one in Canada. Then I was told I had to have the two addresses the same, stupid or what. I explained that this is impossible because my bank is in Canada where I live, for over 8 months of the year. Isn't it about time Bissell moved into the 21st century. I must admit after complaint for ever the supervisor sent me one of each item required free of charge, but that is not the point. I should have been able to order the parts required hassle free.

Bissell Appliances Company Information