Black & Decker Appliances
Based on 36 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Black & Decker

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 14, 2017

50 Black & Decker Appliances Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I bought this battery-operated strimmers about a year ago and was so thrilled with it that I wrote to B & D complimenting them! It does everything except make tea! However, now that I want to change its spool and line I have considerably changed my tune! How can such a worldwide, reputable company NOT have a Customer Satisfying process for buying their accessories? I contacted Head Office and spent the rest of my day phoning recommended retailers, unsuccessfully, to get a replacement spool and line. The best response that I can get is "we'll order a B & D spool & line for you - but the postage/shipping will cost more than the product!!!” Surely B & D should have accessories available at a central point - maybe in each country - with a pre-arranged postage/shipping agreement with a courier company - that would facilitate Customers who want to buy accessories and pay an agreed, reasonable fee for postage/shipping?

Original review: June 18, 2017

I purchased a Black & Decker cordless power screwdriver/drill product #BDCS40BI, a small simple tool. When I looked in the instruction manual it said nothing about how to tighten the bits (that come sealed in the package with the tool). It only shows to put the bits into the hex spindle (DUH) with an arrow pointing in in the illustration, but the bits are very loose and just fall out, much like any other drill that you have to then tighten down the bits, or it isn't usable. I studied this drill and found nothing that tightens the bit. I emailed the address that was given on the instruction manual (and their site online) but the emails kept returning - no such email address.

I called the service number they give to ask any questions or have a problem and this older lady (I think - cause I'm 75) didn't know WHAT I was talking about though I used all the correct terms for the parts and product that's in the manual. After hemming and hawing while reading the same diagram and instruction manual she said she had no idea what the answer was. I sent an email to an address that she gave me (a week ago, and it was never answered). This is just the simplest of power tools, and if I can't get an answer for that - what about the bigger more complex tools?? This also will be posted online and my Facebook page.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: May 24, 2017

So when you have a piece of your food processor that comes apart that breaks off in the center of the plastic you contact Black & Decker. However, apparently they won't replace it because it's out of warranty. It's only 2 years old and it replaced another one with a defective disc. Not looking at the fact that this broke in a place it should not have broke. I do not recommend Black & Decker. This is the second one they would have had to replace due to a broken center plastic piece. Defect??? But because they replaced it the first time they said they won't replace it this time. I cannot use my shredder at all. They suggested I buy a replacement for approx $20.

Original review: April 26, 2017

I own a coffee maker that stopped working while still in the warranty period. Black & Decker has agreed to send a new one but I have to pay the shipping and handling. This is the first time I have heard that for the exchange of a product that is under warranty. I have pay the shipping and handling especially from such an old and reputable company. Never buying Black & Decker product ever again. Very disappointed customer.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

It is reasonable to buy. It bakes, broils, toasts, holds a 12 inch pizza and use for lots of things. Only complaint is had to set power level. This oven has preset keys for items like reheat, bacon, with different level by re-punching key.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Black & Decker?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

This toaster just suddenly quit working after a few years of minimal use. We probably used it less than twice a month, and then only for a couple slices of bread. It looked brand new and it seemed fine, but it just stopped working. It was not dropped or damaged in any way. I have found other Black and Decker small appliances -- a blender, an iron -- to do the same thing. They are not durable. I will not buy any Black and Decker small appliances again.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

I had bought a Black & Decker 2-in-1 Smart Tech Vac a little over a week ago. Seeing that I like to clean we figured it'd make life easier because it's so light and versatile. It seemed like a great idea but the minute we took it out of the box and went over the manual and used it first time, that's where the problems actually started. First off, we have a toddler and a dog which has a lot of fur. So the fact that the dust bowl is so small was just a minor thing but it's something that wasn't a problem seeing that I do not mind dumping it often. But that was far from the problem. It was the issue that first time dumping the dust bowl and when putting it back into the vacuum, the part that holds the filter that is SUPPOSED to snap back into the vacuum, doesn't actually SNAP all the way back in.

We've tried pushing the chassis back into place and even tried messing with the release vacuum but definitely isn't going totally in. And when using it throughout the week we've had it about 9 times out of ten the filter pops out of the side of the vacuum. And then there is more of a mess to clean up, simply because either this vacuum itself is faulty or it's the model/product itself. And, after reading the manual and seeing that it says not to return product for any reason before reading the manual, and then many attempts contacting customer service thru the website and no reply back to fix this problem.

So I wanted to give this product a chance because the idea of the vacuum is convenient. But then to make matters worse continued to try to make it work and then used the handheld to suck up messes and to find that not only is it got issues it also is pretty much just blowing the dirt and dust right back out seeing that the filter isn't totally secured into the reservoir. That was pretty much the last straw after realizing over this last week that my 8 yr old vacuum that isn't worth $10, which I was using before picks up ten times as much. I'd rather deal with an outdated vacuum that hasn't failed yet. And it's the point. Not everyone has $150 to spend on a vacuum and I don't think anyone who would have this issue with this vacuum would even give it too many more chances to see if it worked. So either my local Walmart sold us a "bad egg" in the batch of vacuums, or simply that this vacuum is just junk.

So, as far as this certain vacuum, unless you enjoy vacuuming up the dirtiest of messes and all to have it blow right back out all over the floor, then this vacuum isn't something I would ever recommend to anyone. After calling the customer service about the issue I only told her a small issue was on phone less than five minutes, I explained how frustrating it is and her answer was that Walmart has a 30 day return policy so her advice was to bring it back. Well sounds like to me the customer service rep really doesn't care that Black & Decker has a unsatisfied customer. Then why should any customer have to go thru such inconvenience. I just want anyone's input who may have the same vacuum and if they have noticed any issues similar to this because this is totally ridiculous!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2016

The first two I bought were ok, lasted a reasonable amount of time. But this last one has a door that swings down and is so weak the right side broke after two months! Dumb me didn't save receipt. So little piece duct tape on inside, it worked now 4 months later left side broke. Flimsy cheap made piece of crap. The no door style was so much better!!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

Sander br400 - Be careful when buying a Black & Decker product. They are notorious for not having parts for the product after the sale. Their website lists "part unavailable or discontinued." I will not buy another Black & Decker product simply because they do not care about the aftermarket.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

Bought this product at Walmart about a month ago. It was great at first, but within a few weeks, it wouldn't turn off. Had to take the handheld vacuum just to shut it off. Wife refuses to use it now. I bought it thinking Black and Decker was a good name and my wife really liked it at first, not any longer. A month's use is not acceptable and we will steer clear of Black and Decker from now on. Hopefully this will prevent anybody else wasting their money on this product.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

There are several plastic parts, most of which have broken in the 2 1/2 years of ownership. I do not process firm pieces of cheese, meats or food in general. I have occasionally tried to grate cheese which is a real mess. Mostly I use it to make salsa.

Original review: June 5, 2016

We bought a black & decker hand mixer for my mom so she could use it for baking. It has a 2 year warranty and it has been almost a decade and it's still working! I love that you can interchange this with beaters and hooks. And because the accessories can be ejected, it makes it easier to clean. My only problem about this is that you have to not forget to unplug when changing accessories. You might accidentally turn on the mixer while your hands are on the accessories.

Original review: May 31, 2016

When I opened up a live chat on the Black and Decker site I had to give them my email. The employee on the chat was very helpful however within a couple minutes of me giving them my email address my email inbox was quickly filled with spam. This is completely unacceptable and I am very dissatisfied with Black and Decker's notion of good customer service.

Original review: May 6, 2016

Bought a blender 1 year ago with 2 years of warranty. Blender stopped work and I called the customer service to explain what happened, and hopefully get to use the 2 years warranty services the blender provided. Rachel, a attendant asked questions such, "For how long did you had the blender on for". "I was making a shake, 2 min., 5 min.". She said that the product wasn't meant to be use for more than 1.5 min. continually. That because I used it for 2 minutes continually they couldn't do anything for me.

I found the excuse so ridiculous and nonsense that I couldn't even discuss to her about it. I hang up the phone, and decided to go online and express my indignation towards this behavior. A company that has been for so long in the market treat its customer as if they were begging for changes and trick them as they did is a lack of responsibility to say lying to customer so the warranty is just a piece of paper that doesn't really mean anything. I believe they know how bad quality their products are and they put its rules so they don't need to honor the fake warranty. That a low quality, liar and irresponsible company.

Original review: April 1, 2016

I just bought a Black & Decker (Model BDASV101) vacuum cleaner and used it today for the first time. It is absolutely the best vacuum cleaner I have ever used in my entire life!!! Why? FABULOUS PRICE; EXTREMELY POWERFUL; BAGLESS; SUPER LIGHT AT 9.1 POUNDS. It is so incredible that I will buy not one but two more of these vacuum cleaners --- one for each floor! Black & Decker you are the best company!!! This company deserves an award for this SUPERIOR vacuum cleaner!!! Thank you!!!

Original review: July 23, 2015

I purchased a rechargeable Black and Decker lithium halogen spotlight for general purpose and specifically to take on night fishing trips. I bought the flashlight new several months ago and have had it on the charger. I took it out two nights ago and the flashlight didn't work at all. This is the second one I bought because the first one didn't work and I assumed it was a "lemon". Walmart accepted the initial exchange. This time I didn't feel like it was Walmart's responsibility so I called Black and Decker (as indicated on the tag on the flashlight if there is any issue, "don't return to the retailer"). I spoke to the customer service representative Chris and the short of it was that I have to produce a receipt (which I no longer have) and then ship the flashlight to their service center (at my own expense) for their diagnostics and if the product was found faulty they would send me a replacement.

I respectfully explained to him that this is the second faulty B&D flashlight I've had and there is obviously a problem. Honestly the two hours it would take me to go to Walmart, try to research and find the receipt; package the flashlight and charging cords, stand in line at the post office and pay for shipping wasn't worth my time. I paid probably $45 for the light. Not a huge deal, but the fact that I have / had other B&D products, with marginal quality in the past years I will no longer be a customer. Chris was just following policy but I can tell you Black and Decker if you can't empower your customer service people to accommodate the customer when you have marginal products anyway, you will lose customers. I have had B&D circular saws, jig saws, nail guns and I grew up in a family that had Black and Decker products.

I proposed Chris send me a shipping label and I would mail the light and accessories to their center for diagnosis and if they discovered it was a product issue they could send me a new one. He said they couldn't do that. Doesn't speak well to your quality control priorities either. I don't normally go to these extremes to spend time writing a customer complaint, but B&D used to be a good company with quality products. My Dad still has a "steel" B&D drill that he has used since I can remember (almost 50 years). I would love to come back to this site and tell the public that B&D saw this posting and stood by their product. Unless you send me a new light, improve your product quality and customer service, I will no longer be a B&D consumer and will advise any of my colleagues to avoid them as well.

Original review: April 13, 2015

Fresh from its box today, I decided to make some delightful fruit shakes using BD blender BX275 but after 30 seconds of using, it suddenly stopped. The shake shall combat the hot summer weather here in the Philippines, but it just made my temper worsen. I thought I could trust a brand like Black & Decker, but no, it is worse than any of the local brands. Now, I have to explain this to my dad. How can a newly bought blender stopped working? But thanks to your reviews guys, I can handle the explanations to my dad that BD produces worthless products. But I still do need explanations on the part of BD people.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

In less than a year after I purchased a Black & Decker microwave oven, said oven quit working. I contacted Midea USA for warranty services. I followed their instructions to the letter to receive a refund. I was told that a form would arrive within 10 days for me to fill out for said refund. 12 days went by and no form. I called again and was told they would send another form. 7 or 8 days later I received the form. I filled it out and sent it to the appropriate address. On the form it said that merchandise refund requests are processed within 10 business days. 14 business days went by and no refund check. I called Midea and asked about status of refund and was told that it normally took 20 business days to process the request. I personally will never buy another Black & Decker product of any kind. Their products are no longer of any reasonable quality. My advise to any potential Black & Decker customer, buyer be extremely aware.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2015

I have a Black and Decker T0137SSD Toaster Oven and the Temperature Control Knob melted onto the shaft and is no longer working. There is no heat shield between the ovens thin wall and any of the control knobs, which concerns me. Also these knobs are made of plastic. From what I am reading they should be made of heat resistant phenolic to meet high temperature requirements.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2015

Part broke within 30 days and the company did not even answer phone. I was transferred a number of times to a never ending ringing tone, or left on hold for hours with the same tune replaying repeatedly. Torture to say the least. The company does not seem to support their kitchen products and leaves you out in the cold when you call for assistance. This happened more than once and every time I recalled and told them I had a problem with a kitchen product. The last time I called they gave me a number to call that was an infomercial about winning a cruise to the Bahamas and numerous products.

Original review: May 2, 2014

First day noticed the motor sounds laboring. It is making smoothies. I've had it for 5-months now. I like the price, glass pitcher and compact size. However the circular seal between pitcher and blade assembly broke. I found only one online site for replacement parts (only one seal left at $11). All parts are expensive compared to other brands (Oster - 22 seal). Why would the Black and Decker glass replacement pitcher cost more than buying a new blender? Doesn't Black and Decker sell replacement parts for their brand? When the seal broke my sugary milk mix seeped into all control buttons. A design with a hood could have protected buttons. Has this compromised the use too? I will not recommend this brand.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2013

I bought a Black & Decker chest freezer a little over 2 years ago (and yes haier also does black and decker). I came home from work one day to find my garage fully engulfed in smoke. I called the fire department and they determined the motor from the freezer started the fire, and had done over $5,000 worth of damage to my home. This was just over a year ago, and I am still fighting with them. I called the customer service line, talked to many reps, managers, agents, etc. After months of talks they put me thru to their insurance company, who contacted the manufacturer in China.

They denied my claim because I could not ship the freezer to China!!!! Never mind I had the fire report, pictures of the freezer where the fire started, and countless other documents to prove their freezer started the fire. This is disgusting! They just now sent me a replacement freezer, that was even smaller than the one I had. Then they had the audacity to send me a letter in the mail with a recall for my particular freezer that said unplug immediately it may ignite. Really? This had me to the boiling point. I am in search of an attorney. I know it's not much money to some, but it's a lot to me. I have to scrape every penny, and they should have to make this right. 5,000 is nothing to them. Sometimes it takes a mouse to bring down the mountain.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2013

Just bought this new coffee brewer 2 months ago. The unit is a bad design, it will dump brewing hot coffee all over the counter. This happens because the basket that holds the filter tilts as the urn is pushed into the maker. This has happened about 10 times. No matter how careful you are, it will still happen. I've had this happen on other brewers but that was because the basket had grounds in it and plugged up a small hole. This brewer is a complete bad design and will probably end up starting a fire.

Every time I use it, I'm really careful how I set it up to brew. It can make a real mess on my counter. There is no serial # on the unit, just BLACK AND DECKER'S NAME. I have bought the name Black and Decker since the '60s. Over the last 10 years, the quality has gotten worse and worse. You think the company would address these complaints, BUT IT LOOKS LIKE THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR.

Original review: June 16, 2013

I purchased a B&D 32 volt cordless trimmer from a big box home improvement store. A few months later, I attempted to find a second battery for the unit as the charger is designed for two batteries. I discovered that the trimmer had been discontinued and B&D no longer manufactured (provided) batteries. I understand that certain models of equipment are discontinued but with cordless units, the batteries should be available for at least a couple of years. Batteries go bad and this makes the unit worthless. I contacted to B&D customer "service" and they were completely uninterested in helping. I would steer clear of B&D at all costs unless you have lots of extra money to throw away. BTW, the battery pack I have appears to be bad now after only two seasons.

Original review: June 3, 2013

I store my large electric skillet in the large pantry. I heard a loud boom and couldn't find what it was until making supper that night. I went into my pantry and glass was everywhere. The lid to the skillet was broken, lying in the skillet with glass everywhere. It just exploded into little pieces like a windshield.

Original review: June 1, 2013

I purchased a combination of tools with two 18 V batteries - what a piece of junk! The batteries will not charge after 30 days & all 5 tools that I have are useless without the batteries. I contacted Black & Decker and I spoke to used car sales person who wanted me to pay an additional $149.38 to repair the batteries. What a rip off this Black & Decker Company is! Black & Decker, to the best of my knowledge, is an American Company. Why do they have to dump this Made in China junk on the American consumer? I paid in good faith with American Dollars; I expect to get good quality American products. I don't want that Junk from China!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2013

Not long ago, I purchased the above-named can opener/knife sharpener/bottle opener. It is worthless. Takes anywhere from 6 tries to many more to seat the can so that the opener can do the job. I have thrown it in the trash and will replace it with a different brand. Please don't put this kind of trash on the market for unsuspecting people like me to waste their money on.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2012

My wife is carving the turkey as I'm writing this review. She hates this electric knife (Black & Decker electric knives), only because of the safety lock on the trigger. This knife is not user friendly for a left handed person. You have to use both hands just to start it each time.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2012

I bought my first B & D 12-cup adjustable brew strength coffeemaker a couple of years ago and after 6 months it wouldn't work. I had a house full of company and when I went to make coffee in the morning, the coffeemaker was dead - it wouldn't do anything. After several weeks of back and forth with Black & Decker, I was finally told to cut the plug off the cord and send it to them and they would send me a new one as it was still under warranty. Of course, I had bought a cheapie coffeemaker in the meantime.

I finally received a new one in the mail. It hasn't been a year yet and the same thing has happened. The element must be gone because all the lights and clock comes on, but it doesn't brew. Nothing. I am extremely dissatisfied with Black & Decker. I'm glad I kept my cheapie Sunbeam because that's what I'm using now. It's too bad because I really liked the coffeemaker. It looked good and made good coffee and for the price I thought I'd have many years of use from it. I will not be purchasing any more Black & Decker appliances.

Original review: July 16, 2012

Black and Decker SpaceMaker coffee maker rusted after 2 months. After many calls and hours on the phone with customer service, the only way they would replace the unit was to cut the cord and send it to them. It would also take at least 4-6 weeks to replace because they have none in stock anywhere in the US. So, I had to go out and buy another coffee maker in the interim. Black and Decker Space Saver toaster purchased at the same time just had door pull fall off. After 3 calls and hung up on twice, I got the same answer. They will replace the unit after I cut the cord and send it to them. Hence, I have to go out and buy another one till replacement arrives. Black and Decker quality has become so disappointing and the customer service even worse. I would sadly not recommend these products to anyone, in the future.

Black & Decker expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

Black & Decker is an American manufacturer known for power tools and other home technology. It was founded in Baltimore, Maryland in 1910 and today manufactures a variety of products. Black & Decker Home is a brand of home appliances owned by Spectrum Brands. You can buy Black & Decker cooking appliances, coffee and tea makers, blenders and juicers and more on the brand’s website and at Wal-Mart.

• XL Blast™ Drink Machine: This model features a 650W engine and a 72 ounce capacity blending jar. It also has a four speed digital control panel and preset functions for margaritas, daiquiris, shakes and smoothies. It costs about $60.

• FusionBlade™ Digital Blender: This option features a four function automatic digital control and a 700W engine. It comes with a 20 ounce mini blending jar. This model costs about $50.

• FusionBlade™ Personal Blender: This mini machine is perfect for individual beverages and comes with two 20 ounce blender jars. It has a 275W motor and costs $30.

• PowerCrush Multi-Function Blender: This option has a 700W motor and 12 functions. The glass jar holds six cups, and you can swap it out for a mini blending jar. This blender costs about $40.

• Product warranties: Black & Decker offers two- and three-year limited product warranties on its blenders. Be sure to register your product on its website.

• Best for: people on a budget and those who need a basic blender.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

Black & Decker Appliances Company Information