Black & Decker

Appliances

Compare Appliances

Research top Appliances recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

The first two I bought were ok, lasted a reasonable amount of time. But this last one has a door that swings down and is so weak the right side broke after two months! Dumb me didn't save receipt. So little piece duct tape on inside, it worked now 4 months later left side broke. Flimsy cheap made piece of crap. The no door style was so much better!!

Sander br400 - Be careful when buying a Black & Decker product. They are notorious for not having parts for the product after the sale. Their website lists "part unavailable or discontinued." I will not buy another Black & Decker product simply because they do not care about the aftermarket.

Bought this product at Walmart about a month ago. It was great at first, but within a few weeks, it wouldn't turn off. Had to take the handheld vacuum just to shut it off. Wife refuses to use it now. I bought it thinking Black and Decker was a good name and my wife really liked it at first, not any longer. A month's use is not acceptable and we will steer clear of Black and Decker from now on. Hopefully this will prevent anybody else wasting their money on this product.

There are several plastic parts, most of which have broken in the 2 1/2 years of ownership. I do not process firm pieces of cheese, meats or food in general. I have occasionally tried to grate cheese which is a real mess. Mostly I use it to make salsa.

We bought a black & decker hand mixer for my mom so she could use it for baking. It has a 2 year warranty and it has been almost a decade and it's still working! I love that you can interchange this with beaters and hooks. And because the accessories can be ejected, it makes it easier to clean. My only problem about this is that you have to not forget to unplug when changing accessories. You might accidentally turn on the mixer while your hands are on the accessories.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Black and Decker?

When I opened up a live chat on the Black and Decker site I had to give them my email. The employee on the chat was very helpful however within a couple minutes of me giving them my email address my email inbox was quickly filled with spam. This is completely unacceptable and I am very dissatisfied with Black and Decker's notion of good customer service.

Bought a blender 1 year ago with 2 years of warranty. Blender stopped work and I called the customer service to explain what happened, and hopefully get to use the 2 years warranty services the blender provided. Rachel, a attendant asked questions such, "For how long did you had the blender on for". "I was making a shake, 2 min., 5 min.". She said that the product wasn't meant to be use for more than 1.5 min. continually. That because I used it for 2 minutes continually they couldn't do anything for me.

I found the excuse so ridiculous and nonsense that I couldn't even discuss to her about it. I hang up the phone, and decided to go online and express my indignation towards this behavior. A company that has been for so long in the market treat its customer as if they were begging for changes and trick them as they did is a lack of responsibility to say lying to customer so the warranty is just a piece of paper that doesn't really mean anything. I believe they know how bad quality their products are and they put its rules so they don't need to honor the fake warranty. That a low quality, liar and irresponsible company.

I just bought a Black & Decker (Model BDASV101) vacuum cleaner and used it today for the first time. It is absolutely the best vacuum cleaner I have ever used in my entire life!!! Why? FABULOUS PRICE; EXTREMELY POWERFUL; BAGLESS; SUPER LIGHT AT 9.1 POUNDS. It is so incredible that I will buy not one but two more of these vacuum cleaners --- one for each floor! Black & Decker you are the best company!!! This company deserves an award for this SUPERIOR vacuum cleaner!!! Thank you!!!

I purchased a rechargeable Black and Decker lithium halogen spotlight for general purpose and specifically to take on night fishing trips. I bought the flashlight new several months ago and have had it on the charger. I took it out two nights ago and the flashlight didn't work at all. This is the second one I bought because the first one didn't work and I assumed it was a "lemon". Walmart accepted the initial exchange. This time I didn't feel like it was Walmart's responsibility so I called Black and Decker (as indicated on the tag on the flashlight if there is any issue, "don't return to the retailer"). I spoke to the customer service representative Chris and the short of it was that I have to produce a receipt (which I no longer have) and then ship the flashlight to their service center (at my own expense) for their diagnostics and if the product was found faulty they would send me a replacement.

I respectfully explained to him that this is the second faulty B&D flashlight I've had and there is obviously a problem. Honestly the two hours it would take me to go to Walmart, try to research and find the receipt; package the flashlight and charging cords, stand in line at the post office and pay for shipping wasn't worth my time. I paid probably $45 for the light. Not a huge deal, but the fact that I have / had other B&D products, with marginal quality in the past years I will no longer be a customer. Chris was just following policy but I can tell you Black and Decker if you can't empower your customer service people to accommodate the customer when you have marginal products anyway, you will lose customers. I have had B&D circular saws, jig saws, nail guns and I grew up in a family that had Black and Decker products.

I proposed Chris send me a shipping label and I would mail the light and accessories to their center for diagnosis and if they discovered it was a product issue they could send me a new one. He said they couldn't do that. Doesn't speak well to your quality control priorities either. I don't normally go to these extremes to spend time writing a customer complaint, but B&D used to be a good company with quality products. My Dad still has a "steel" B&D drill that he has used since I can remember (almost 50 years). I would love to come back to this site and tell the public that B&D saw this posting and stood by their product. Unless you send me a new light, improve your product quality and customer service, I will no longer be a B&D consumer and will advise any of my colleagues to avoid them as well.

Fresh from its box today, I decided to make some delightful fruit shakes using BD blender BX275 but after 30 seconds of using, it suddenly stopped. The shake shall combat the hot summer weather here in the Philippines, but it just made my temper worsen. I thought I could trust a brand like Black & Decker, but no, it is worse than any of the local brands. Now, I have to explain this to my dad. How can a newly bought blender stopped working? But thanks to your reviews guys, I can handle the explanations to my dad that BD produces worthless products. But I still do need explanations on the part of BD people.

In less than a year after I purchased a Black & Decker microwave oven, said oven quit working. I contacted Midea USA for warranty services. I followed their instructions to the letter to receive a refund. I was told that a form would arrive within 10 days for me to fill out for said refund. 12 days went by and no form. I called again and was told they would send another form. 7 or 8 days later I received the form. I filled it out and sent it to the appropriate address. On the form it said that merchandise refund requests are processed within 10 business days. 14 business days went by and no refund check. I called Midea and asked about status of refund and was told that it normally took 20 business days to process the request. I personally will never buy another Black & Decker product of any kind. Their products are no longer of any reasonable quality. My advise to any potential Black & Decker customer, buyer be extremely aware.

I have a Black and Decker T0137SSD Toaster Oven and the Temperature Control Knob melted onto the shaft and is no longer working. There is no heat shield between the ovens thin wall and any of the control knobs, which concerns me. Also these knobs are made of plastic. From what I am reading they should be made of heat resistant phenolic to meet high temperature requirements.

Part broke within 30 days and the company did not even answer phone. I was transferred a number of times to a never ending ringing tone, or left on hold for hours with the same tune replaying repeatedly. Torture to say the least. The company does not seem to support their kitchen products and leaves you out in the cold when you call for assistance. This happened more than once and every time I recalled and told them I had a problem with a kitchen product. The last time I called they gave me a number to call that was an infomercial about winning a cruise to the Bahamas and numerous products.

First day noticed the motor sounds laboring. It is making smoothies. I've had it for 5-months now. I like the price, glass pitcher and compact size. However the circular seal between pitcher and blade assembly broke. I found only one online site for replacement parts (only one seal left at $11). All parts are expensive compared to other brands (Oster - 22 seal). Why would the Black and Decker glass replacement pitcher cost more than buying a new blender? Doesn't Black and Decker sell replacement parts for their brand? When the seal broke my sugary milk mix seeped into all control buttons. A design with a hood could have protected buttons. Has this compromised the use too? I will not recommend this brand.

I bought a Black & Decker chest freezer a little over 2 years ago (and yes haier also does black and decker). I came home from work one day to find my garage fully engulfed in smoke. I called the fire department and they determined the motor from the freezer started the fire, and had done over $5,000 worth of damage to my home. This was just over a year ago, and I am still fighting with them. I called the customer service line, talked to many reps, managers, agents, etc. After months of talks they put me thru to their insurance company, who contacted the manufacturer in China.

They denied my claim because I could not ship the freezer to China!!!! Never mind I had the fire report, pictures of the freezer where the fire started, and countless other documents to prove their freezer started the fire. This is disgusting! They just now sent me a replacement freezer, that was even smaller than the one I had. Then they had the audacity to send me a letter in the mail with a recall for my particular freezer that said unplug immediately it may ignite. Really? This had me to the boiling point. I am in search of an attorney. I know it's not much money to some, but it's a lot to me. I have to scrape every penny, and they should have to make this right. 5,000 is nothing to them. Sometimes it takes a mouse to bring down the mountain.

Just bought this new coffee brewer 2 months ago. The unit is a bad design, it will dump brewing hot coffee all over the counter. This happens because the basket that holds the filter tilts as the urn is pushed into the maker. This has happened about 10 times. No matter how careful you are, it will still happen. I've had this happen on other brewers but that was because the basket had grounds in it and plugged up a small hole. This brewer is a complete bad design and will probably end up starting a fire.

Every time I use it, I'm really careful how I set it up to brew. It can make a real mess on my counter. There is no serial # on the unit, just BLACK AND DECKER'S NAME. I have bought the name Black and Decker since the '60s. Over the last 10 years, the quality has gotten worse and worse. You think the company would address these complaints, BUT IT LOOKS LIKE THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR.

I purchased a B&D 32 volt cordless trimmer from a big box home improvement store. A few months later, I attempted to find a second battery for the unit as the charger is designed for two batteries. I discovered that the trimmer had been discontinued and B&D no longer manufactured (provided) batteries. I understand that certain models of equipment are discontinued but with cordless units, the batteries should be available for at least a couple of years. Batteries go bad and this makes the unit worthless. I contacted to B&D customer "service" and they were completely uninterested in helping. I would steer clear of B&D at all costs unless you have lots of extra money to throw away. BTW, the battery pack I have appears to be bad now after only two seasons.

I store my large electric skillet in the large pantry. I heard a loud boom and couldn't find what it was until making supper that night. I went into my pantry and glass was everywhere. The lid to the skillet was broken, lying in the skillet with glass everywhere. It just exploded into little pieces like a windshield.

I purchased a combination of tools with two 18 V batteries - what a piece of junk! The batteries will not charge after 30 days & all 5 tools that I have are useless without the batteries. I contacted Black & Decker and I spoke to used car sales person who wanted me to pay an additional $149.38 to repair the batteries. What a rip off this Black & Decker Company is! Black & Decker, to the best of my knowledge, is an American Company. Why do they have to dump this Made in China junk on the American consumer? I paid in good faith with American Dollars; I expect to get good quality American products. I don't want that Junk from China!

Not long ago, I purchased the above-named can opener/knife sharpener/bottle opener. It is worthless. Takes anywhere from 6 tries to many more to seat the can so that the opener can do the job. I have thrown it in the trash and will replace it with a different brand. Please don't put this kind of trash on the market for unsuspecting people like me to waste their money on.

My wife is carving the turkey as I'm writing this review. She hates this electric knife (Black & Decker electric knives), only because of the safety lock on the trigger. This knife is not user friendly for a left handed person. You have to use both hands just to start it each time.

I bought my first B & D 12-cup adjustable brew strength coffeemaker a couple of years ago and after 6 months it wouldn't work. I had a house full of company and when I went to make coffee in the morning, the coffeemaker was dead - it wouldn't do anything. After several weeks of back and forth with Black & Decker, I was finally told to cut the plug off the cord and send it to them and they would send me a new one as it was still under warranty. Of course, I had bought a cheapie coffeemaker in the meantime.

I finally received a new one in the mail. It hasn't been a year yet and the same thing has happened. The element must be gone because all the lights and clock comes on, but it doesn't brew. Nothing. I am extremely dissatisfied with Black & Decker. I'm glad I kept my cheapie Sunbeam because that's what I'm using now. It's too bad because I really liked the coffeemaker. It looked good and made good coffee and for the price I thought I'd have many years of use from it. I will not be purchasing any more Black & Decker appliances.

Black and Decker SpaceMaker coffee maker rusted after 2 months. After many calls and hours on the phone with customer service, the only way they would replace the unit was to cut the cord and send it to them. It would also take at least 4-6 weeks to replace because they have none in stock anywhere in the US. So, I had to go out and buy another coffee maker in the interim. Black and Decker Space Saver toaster purchased at the same time just had door pull fall off. After 3 calls and hung up on twice, I got the same answer. They will replace the unit after I cut the cord and send it to them. Hence, I have to go out and buy another one till replacement arrives. Black and Decker quality has become so disappointing and the customer service even worse. I would sadly not recommend these products to anyone, in the future.

I have 4 B&D dustbusters. Every one of them has an electrical adapter that plugs into the house outlets. Every one of them is burned on the outside, and two of them are so hot that I can barely touch them. Can you say fire hazard? In attempting to contact B&D, I made four calls into their customer service line; and every time, I was hooked into a French-speaking person, whom I obviously could not understand. Once the French person got done speaking, I was hung up on. 45 minutes later, I actually got a person to talk to. This person was very good at taking my complaint and said they would send me new chargers. Well, at least he said he was going to send them. Time will tell.

My big complaint is the customer no-service that B&D made me go through for 45 minutes. I will be thinking twice before I purchase another one of their products, any of their products.

I purchased the B&D tabletop convection oven (Perfect Broil Convection Oven CTO4500S) at Macy's on 3/3/12 and it was shipped to me. The "timer" on the oven also doubles as the on/off switch. It is a spring loaded turn knob with directions to turn past the "20" minute mark, then turn back to the desired number of toasting minutes. This sets the timer and, when time is ended, serves to turn the oven off. With less than a month's use, the timer "sprung" - you could neither set the timer nor turn the oven on/off. I called B&D and they advised me to discontinue use and that they would send me a replacement oven.

I asked whether it was fair to assume that the replacement would also have this same defect and was told by the representative, Rebecca, that "we don't have any recall of this product". I was also told that I would receive a letter instructing me on disposal of the original oven. This phone call with B&D was on 4/27/12. I received the replacement oven on 5/2/12 and began use. I also packed the original oven for return. On 5/18/12, I re-contacted B&D and spoke with John. I told John that I had not received the letter instructing me on how to dispose of the original oven and asked him for direction. He confirmed that the letter had not been sent and it would be "soon". I have not received any instruction from B&D regarding disposal of the original oven as of this date (6/1812).

I own two Black & Decker mixers. The first, a MixPro Mx78W5 Type 1, just shut off. No noise, no anything. The second one my son bought me for Christmas last year to replace the first one. I was using it to make frosting for my grandson’s birthday cake when it made a weird noise and the beaters quit. It runs, but the beaters don't. I called several times the 800 number on the enclosed brochure. After 47 minutes the last time on hold, an automated voice came on to leave a message, still no answer after a couple of weeks. I just went to an “answer website” and they want $30 to answer my questions! These mixers have not been used more than two dozen or so times a piece. What is happening to standards? I just want to know if I can get either of these mixers fixed or replaced, and not give someone another 30 bucks for them to say, "Oh, well, that's your tough luck." Can anyone out there help me? I simply cannot afford to keep buying mixers!

I have had my Black and Decker blender for two or three years. I have used it a lot over the years but lately, I have been mixing up shakes in the blender. It is just milk, powder, and ice cubes. One day, I heard a noise and didn't know what it was. I poured my shake in a glass and drank it. My last gulp, I felt a sharp object in my mouth and here it was one of the four blades that had broken off of the blender! It didn't cut my mouth or go down my throat because I caught it in time but it was very dangerous and it scared me.

The mixer (PowerPro mixers 200 watts) is good and works good but the beaters fell apart. Every good woman needs a good mixer but it is no good if the beaters are no good. The mixer is no good to me. At the time I called, no one would help me get the beaters replaced. I have replaced it with another brand but I keep the mixer, hoping one day they might send me info about the beaters.

I purchased the Mixer MX217 18 months or so ago. I was mixing up a cake mix and one of the beaters fell apart. It's a very poor design. The thin wires look to be soldered into tiny holes, really? I always trusted BD but the poor design of these beaters is making me rethink.

I bought a waffle iron, which we only used twice in the month I had it from our local Walmart. I took the thing back after bolts or hinges broke and the Teflon was in our batter, which we consumed. I have been trying to get a hold of them via email and got nothing, then I have been trying for a week to get hold of them on the consumer service Department and they put me on hold, 1-800-231-9786. All I asked for was my $14.99 back and I will not pay $10.00 to ship it back to the company for repair.

Black & Decker Appliances Company Profile