1.84/5

Black & Decker

Appliances

66 Black & Decker Appliances Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 16, 2019

The microwave these few years are too light and frail and need durability brought back 'cause there are plenty folks to, go around who will buy them. Let's face it. They come in handy in many way I know.

Original review: July 6, 2019

We bought a Black & Decker mixer. Used it twice and it was finished and because it was outside the warranty they just said, "Oh well it happens." Just a bunch of junk and not the first Black & Decker product we have that has failed either. I will never buy any Black & Decker product ever again.

Get expert buying tips about Blenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I broke the leg assembly but it's not a replaceable part.. So I'm not very happy as I have to glue the grill leg. I don't want to spend 50 dollars on a new grill. I am very happy on using the grill. It heats up evenly.

Original review: March 31, 2019

Waste of $50! Tried making a simple smoothie. It would struggle for a fraction of a second then stall. I had to remove the lid and stir down at least seven times. The smoothie button is useless. Don't buy this worthless machine!

Original review: March 30, 2019

I brought Black & Decker blender with chopper and grinder BX3600, and I came to know that this is one of the worst experience I had. In every use at the time of operation lid is getting removed automatically from jar. So I believe there is an issue and it's not a successful model of this brand, henceforth will not recommend to my friend, colleague and others. Thanks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Black & Decker?

Original review: March 24, 2019

Almost caused a fire: We have only had the toaster oven for 2 years. The timer does not work, and doesn’t wind down to zero the majority of the time. The oven stays on and if we don’t set our own timer will stay on indefinitely. Oddly, once the oven is UNPLUGGED, the timer starts working. Dangerous product. Do not purchase.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I attempted to communicate with Black and Decker but their site was not working. This was my next option. I purchased the Dustbuster Lithium Flex Hand Vacuum. HFVB315J22. The reason I picked this one was because of the good quality that I have had experience with in the past. The battery does not hold its charge. It gets clogged at the inlet to the cylinder and then backs up into the tubing. I feel this is because there is not enough space between the hose and the spinning part of the cylinder to let the debris to get in and clear it. I feel it needs a little refining to make it work correctly and be up to par for the Black and Decker product.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Purchased Black+Decker TD4314SSD Rotisserie Convection Countertop Oven in late 2018. Tried it for the first time in March 2019 to bake tuna casserole in "convection bake" mode. Set temp to 350 and time to 30. I assumed the time was in minutes. I stepped out of the kitchen for a time and when I came back the oven was off. I did some experiments and found the timer only goes for a maximum of 10 minutes. On the oven it is marked up to 60 minutes. I cannot turn timer knob past "30". It is supposed to have a "stay on" feature if you turn knob to the left but mine won't turn to the left beyond off.

It appears the people at the factory installed the wrong kind of timer in this oven. I searched to see if anyone else had this timer problem and found many reviews of the door exploding. I had high hopes for this oven because it did an excellent job of baking the two casserole dishes evenly. They barely fit in the oven. I'm definitely going to return this as it is defective and dangerous. I don't think I should even donate it to the goodwill store as it will be a problem for someone else.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

In the past 9 months, I have purchased 5 Black & Decker Power Series Pro 2-in-1 cordless Lithium Ion Vacuum and have influenced a half dozen others to purchase them. The product itself is wonderful as far as performance and features. A key component of performance and longevity of the vacuum is regular cleaning of the removable filter (B & D instruction manual emphasizes regular cleaning/washing of filter). With less than a year of use, the filters on some of my units have become very frayed and are clogging. B & D Instruction manual identifies replacement filter kit and filter on the BOX the vac arrived in and in the instruction manual, and directs the owner to B & D's website to purchase said filter.

The problem is, they have NEVER had the filter, seem to have no knowledge if the filter will EVER be available... I have contacted B & D by phone and email a dozen times about needing the filters and have been told to call a retailer, call a B & D service center, and the last one told me they think the filters are back ordered. The BS has been flying and the bottom line is -- there are no filters and once the filter croaks on these vacs, no matter how nice they are, they will be dead. This is perhaps why they now retail at $150 and under?? I paid full price of $179 and $199 earlier and I have almost $1k invested in these 5 units. THIS IS MY LAST BLACK & DECKER PURCHASE!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

My Spectrum Home Appliances,Black and Decker, coffee maker died about 6 weeks before the warranty ran out. I had registered the machine when I purchased it. However, when I contacted the company, they said they would replace it if I paid shipping to send a new coffee maker to me, REALLY.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

My son purchased a vacuum less than two months ago and the suction was terrible and the plastic wheel was defective and broke off. My son threw the receipt away not expecting for it to be such low quality. So I call their warranty line and without a receipt they won’t stand behind their warranted products. They also expect us to send this large vacuum back to them on our dime should we find the receipt. What a ripoff! Shipping back their crappy product will cost us almost as much as the vacuum did. Way to gouge and dump poor quality items off on the consumer rather than taking responsibility and acting ethically. This is my detailed message, so how are you going to make it right without wasting more of our time and money? Btw the case number is **.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I purchased the steam iron two years ago. Since day one it shuts off while ironing. It seems to heat up and once it is hot it shuts down. I have to keep unplugging and replugging to keep it going to iron anything. Ironed a tablecloth and had to unplug about five times to finish. It is a nuisance because it is not obvious when it shuts off so I have to keep checking. If I knew how to override the sensor I would.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

The first time I used it to toast a bagel. I had just removed the bagel and the glass door exploded into hundreds of pieces. I didn't realize glass flew into the butter and cream cheese until I bit it.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Purchased the 4 slice Black and Decker Toaster on July 17, 2017 because of the name and price was good. On Sept. 25, 2018 the 2 left sided slots got stick with 2 slices of bread inside of them. Smoke came raging out and the smoke filled my kitchen, dining room and living room with thick smoke. My family and I have been cleaning for 2 1/2 days trying to rid my home of this burnt toast smell. The smell has lessened a little but still reeks. We are seeking the help from a professional emergency service company to come and see if they can rid my home of this awful smell. After this incident we have used the internet to see if anything like this has happened in the past with this toaster and sadly it has and always on the left side of the toast.

This is awful and customers need to be warned that this could happen and this toaster needs to be taken off the market. I'm not sure what the cost will be to fix this problem but it involves a custom built wooden kitchen cabinet which the toast sat under, extensive carpeting in the house plus a couch and love seat that all need to be cleaned or replaced! Plus the cost of the service company and a Hepa filter air purifying machine. My home owner’s deductible is $3000.00! Very sad experience with this 4 slice toaster!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

After 2 months, the automatic shut off quit working on my kettle. Buyer beware. I wasn't allowed to return it to the place of purchase. There were shipping costs to mail the appliance's cord/plug across the country. I had to include a $6.00 cheque to cover the shipping costs of a new kettle back to me. Too inconvenient. Why should I have to incur additional costs because their product broke down after only 2 months?

Original review: July 30, 2018

I just purchased a rather expensive B & D Edger Trimmer. The 40v Lithium Battery has not charged after two days in the charger. The red light continues to blink and the green charge indicator stays on one light, never progressing to 3. I looked it up and found that I am behind a seemingly endless line of similar complaints for which the company either ignored and simply replaced the item with yet another non-functional item. The fact that they have been getting away with this for so long is astonishing.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I bought this battery-operated B & D Strimmers GLC3630L20 about a year ago and was so thrilled with it that I wrote to B & D complimenting them! It does everything except make tea! However, now that I want to change its spool and line I have considerably changed my tune! How can such a worldwide, reputable company NOT have a Customer Satisfying process for buying their accessories?

I contacted Head Office and spent the rest of my day phoning recommended retailers, unsuccessfully, to get a replacement spool and line. The best response that I can get is "we'll order a B & D spool & line for you - but the postage/shipping will cost more than the product!!!” Surely B & D should have accessories available at a central point - maybe in each country - with a pre-arranged postage/shipping agreement with a courier company - that would facilitate Customers who want to buy accessories and pay an agreed, reasonable fee for postage/shipping?

Original review: June 18, 2017

I purchased a Black & Decker cordless power screwdriver/drill product #BDCS40BI, a small simple tool. When I looked in the instruction manual it said nothing about how to tighten the bits (that come sealed in the package with the tool). It only shows to put the bits into the hex spindle (DUH) with an arrow pointing in in the illustration, but the bits are very loose and just fall out, much like any other drill that you have to then tighten down the bits, or it isn't usable. I studied this drill and found nothing that tightens the bit. I emailed the address that was given on the instruction manual (and their site online) but the emails kept returning - no such email address.

I called the service number they give to ask any questions or have a problem and this older lady (I think - cause I'm 75) didn't know WHAT I was talking about though I used all the correct terms for the parts and product that's in the manual. After hemming and hawing while reading the same diagram and instruction manual she said she had no idea what the answer was. I sent an email to an address that she gave me (a week ago, and it was never answered). This is just the simplest of power tools, and if I can't get an answer for that - what about the bigger more complex tools?? This also will be posted online and my Facebook page.

Original review: May 24, 2017

So when you have a piece of your food processor that comes apart that breaks off in the center of the plastic you contact Black & Decker. However, apparently they won't replace it because it's out of warranty. It's only 2 years old and it replaced another one with a defective disc. Not looking at the fact that this broke in a place it should not have broke. I do not recommend Black & Decker. This is the second one they would have had to replace due to a broken center plastic piece. Defect??? But because they replaced it the first time they said they won't replace it this time. I cannot use my shredder at all. They suggested I buy a replacement for approx $20.

Original review: April 26, 2017

I own a coffee maker that stopped working while still in the warranty period. Black & Decker has agreed to send a new one but I have to pay the shipping and handling. This is the first time I have heard that for the exchange of a product that is under warranty. I have pay the shipping and handling especially from such an old and reputable company. Never buying Black & Decker product ever again. Very disappointed customer.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

It is reasonable to buy. It bakes, broils, toasts, holds a 12 inch pizza and use for lots of things. Only complaint is had to set power level. This oven has preset keys for items like reheat, bacon, with different level by re-punching key.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

This toaster just suddenly quit working after a few years of minimal use. We probably used it less than twice a month, and then only for a couple slices of bread. It looked brand new and it seemed fine, but it just stopped working. It was not dropped or damaged in any way. I have found other Black and Decker small appliances -- a blender, an iron -- to do the same thing. They are not durable. I will not buy any Black and Decker small appliances again.

Resolution response: Jan. 5, 2017

I have had a few problems with a stick vacuum but I was reassured that I would get a new one in the mail. And in which I did and Black & Decker made it all right. Very good customer satisfaction!!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

I had bought a Black & Decker 2-in-1 Smart Tech Vac a little over a week ago. Seeing that I like to clean we figured it'd make life easier because it's so light and versatile. It seemed like a great idea but the minute we took it out of the box and went over the manual and used it first time, that's where the problems actually started. First off, we have a toddler and a dog which has a lot of fur. So the fact that the dust bowl is so small was just a minor thing but it's something that wasn't a problem seeing that I do not mind dumping it often. But that was far from the problem. It was the issue that first time dumping the dust bowl and when putting it back into the vacuum, the part that holds the filter that is SUPPOSED to snap back into the vacuum, doesn't actually SNAP all the way back in.

We've tried pushing the chassis back into place and even tried messing with the release vacuum but definitely isn't going totally in. And when using it throughout the week we've had it about 9 times out of ten the filter pops out of the side of the vacuum. And then there is more of a mess to clean up, simply because either this vacuum itself is faulty or it's the model/product itself. And, after reading the manual and seeing that it says not to return product for any reason before reading the manual, and then many attempts contacting customer service thru the website and no reply back to fix this problem.

So I wanted to give this product a chance because the idea of the vacuum is convenient. But then to make matters worse continued to try to make it work and then used the handheld to suck up messes and to find that not only is it got issues it also is pretty much just blowing the dirt and dust right back out seeing that the filter isn't totally secured into the reservoir. That was pretty much the last straw after realizing over this last week that my 8 yr old vacuum that isn't worth $10, which I was using before picks up ten times as much. I'd rather deal with an outdated vacuum that hasn't failed yet. And it's the point. Not everyone has $150 to spend on a vacuum and I don't think anyone who would have this issue with this vacuum would even give it too many more chances to see if it worked. So either my local Walmart sold us a "bad egg" in the batch of vacuums, or simply that this vacuum is just junk.

So, as far as this certain vacuum, unless you enjoy vacuuming up the dirtiest of messes and all to have it blow right back out all over the floor, then this vacuum isn't something I would ever recommend to anyone. After calling the customer service about the issue I only told her a small issue was on phone less than five minutes, I explained how frustrating it is and her answer was that Walmart has a 30 day return policy so her advice was to bring it back. Well sounds like to me the customer service rep really doesn't care that Black & Decker has a unsatisfied customer. Then why should any customer have to go thru such inconvenience. I just want anyone's input who may have the same vacuum and if they have noticed any issues similar to this because this is totally ridiculous!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2016

The first two I bought were ok, lasted a reasonable amount of time. But this last one has a door that swings down and is so weak the right side broke after two months! Dumb me didn't save receipt. So little piece duct tape on inside, it worked now 4 months later left side broke. Flimsy cheap made piece of crap. The no door style was so much better!!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

Sander br400 - Be careful when buying a Black & Decker product. They are notorious for not having parts for the product after the sale. Their website lists "part unavailable or discontinued." I will not buy another Black & Decker product simply because they do not care about the aftermarket.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

Bought this product at Walmart about a month ago. It was great at first, but within a few weeks, it wouldn't turn off. Had to take the handheld vacuum just to shut it off. Wife refuses to use it now. I bought it thinking Black and Decker was a good name and my wife really liked it at first, not any longer. A month's use is not acceptable and we will steer clear of Black and Decker from now on. Hopefully this will prevent anybody else wasting their money on this product.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

There are several plastic parts, most of which have broken in the 2 1/2 years of ownership. I do not process firm pieces of cheese, meats or food in general. I have occasionally tried to grate cheese which is a real mess. Mostly I use it to make salsa.

Original review: June 5, 2016

We bought a black & decker hand mixer for my mom so she could use it for baking. It has a 2 year warranty and it has been almost a decade and it's still working! I love that you can interchange this with beaters and hooks. And because the accessories can be ejected, it makes it easier to clean. My only problem about this is that you have to not forget to unplug when changing accessories. You might accidentally turn on the mixer while your hands are on the accessories.

Original review: May 31, 2016

When I opened up a live chat on the Black and Decker site I had to give them my email. The employee on the chat was very helpful however within a couple minutes of me giving them my email address my email inbox was quickly filled with spam. This is completely unacceptable and I am very dissatisfied with Black and Decker's notion of good customer service.

Original review: May 6, 2016

Bought a blender 1 year ago with 2 years of warranty. Blender stopped work and I called the customer service to explain what happened, and hopefully get to use the 2 years warranty services the blender provided. Rachel, a attendant asked questions such, "For how long did you had the blender on for". "I was making a shake, 2 min., 5 min.". She said that the product wasn't meant to be use for more than 1.5 min. continually. That because I used it for 2 minutes continually they couldn't do anything for me.

I found the excuse so ridiculous and nonsense that I couldn't even discuss to her about it. I hang up the phone, and decided to go online and express my indignation towards this behavior. A company that has been for so long in the market treat its customer as if they were begging for changes and trick them as they did is a lack of responsibility to say lying to customer so the warranty is just a piece of paper that doesn't really mean anything. I believe they know how bad quality their products are and they put its rules so they don't need to honor the fake warranty. That a low quality, liar and irresponsible company.

Black & Decker expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

Black & Decker is an American manufacturer known for power tools and other home technology. It was founded in Baltimore, Maryland in 1910 and today manufactures a variety of products. Black & Decker Home is a brand of home appliances owned by Spectrum Brands. You can buy Black & Decker cooking appliances, coffee and tea makers, blenders and juicers and more on the brand’s website and at Wal-Mart.

• XL Blast™ Drink Machine: This model features a 650W engine and a 72 ounce capacity blending jar. It also has a four speed digital control panel and preset functions for margaritas, daiquiris, shakes and smoothies. It costs about $60.

• FusionBlade™ Digital Blender: This option features a four function automatic digital control and a 700W engine. It comes with a 20 ounce mini blending jar. This model costs about $50.

• FusionBlade™ Personal Blender: This mini machine is perfect for individual beverages and comes with two 20 ounce blender jars. It has a 275W motor and costs $30.

• PowerCrush Multi-Function Blender: This option has a 700W motor and 12 functions. The glass jar holds six cups, and you can swap it out for a mini blending jar. This blender costs about $40.

• Product warranties: Black & Decker offers two- and three-year limited product warranties on its blenders. Be sure to register your product on its website.

• Best for: people on a budget and those who need a basic blender.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

Black & Decker Appliances Company Information