3.48/5
Based on 21 reviews that contain star ratings

21 Kohler Generators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 3, 2018

I replaced a 6 year old Guardian generator that constantly broke down and finally the main stator failed. I had never heard of Kohler generators, just bathroom fixtures! My repairman suggested it, as he had been installing them for many years and seldom had any problems. I paid a little more than the repairs for my old generator to install the new Kohler (Kohler 20KW Residential Backup Generator). It now has been almost 3 years of flawless reliable service. I just had it serviced (I never had it serviced and it was not exercising) and the tech told me not to let it exercise regularly as it never really gets a chance to warm up and builds up a white film in the crankcase. He said my generator looks brand new; it has about 43 hours of run time on it and he said it is well made. I live on the West Coast close to the ocean, so I am always concerned about moisture build-up, but if the tech says everything looks brand new, I will assume this is a well-made machine!

Original review: May 19, 2018

I just wanted to share a blog article I wrote about my bad experience with a Kohler 20RESAL home standby generator. Poor support, frequent failures, unreliable, Kohler won't help much at all, have to deal with "authorized service providers" which are expensive even for warranty issues, etc. If you are considering a Kohler I recommend that you please read this. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Generators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 24, 2018

We had a Kohler 30RES generator installed ten years ago. Little did we know then that we had bought a dud that Kohler would not stand behind. Technicians refer to it as "The Screamer" because it runs at 3600 rpm, double the speed of Kohler's (supposedly) better generators. It failed to start during the recent ice storm despite having been professionally maintained, and my family and I ended up in a hotel. Exactly the situation we thought we were avoiding by having a generator.

The distributor's technician installed a new regulator and fuel valves only to have to generator backfire and blow the top off its air cleaner. The diagnosis? Oil in the fuel mixer. The cause for that? Unknown. We are now faced with having to decide between fixing "The Screamer", with the bill running to $2,000 or more, or replacing it. The distributor assures us a new 24KW generator will provide us with years of reliable service. Ten years didn't seem very long for the 30RES. Why should I believe them?

No discount is being offered for our troubles or to reward our loyalty. If not a price reduction, perhaps a pre-paid service contract. Kohler apparently takes its customers for granted. Is there another brand I should consider? Cummins/Onan? Generac? Or are they all basically the same? Very disappointing. Oh, yeah. A capacitor on the transfer switch's main circuit board also died. That's another couple hundred bucks. Our pockets are being sucked clean. And the transition from snow and ice to thunderstorms is beginning.

Original review: March 18, 2018

I purchased my Kohler generator a few years ago. Overall cost with electrician, gas hookup, Kohler service tech (for warranty purposes) and cost of generator was around $7500. I have performed the annual oil/filter and spark plug changes (which is the only maintenance that is to be performed until 300 hours per the owner’s manual.) The first oil change is scheduled for 100 hours or annually. Its first failure occurred at only 82 hours and cost $200 dollars to repair. At 150 hours it will no longer run... Again.

Despite endless phone calls describing the situation and disappointment in their product, Kohler customer service and management has refused to help. I tried to get the Kohler tech that did the initial start and checks on it for warranty purposes to come and repair it. Six weeks later I still couldn’t get him here. He stood me up twice. I contacted Kohler for another recommended tech who charged me $550 dollars and it still doesn’t run! We were left without power (or running water) for 4 days during this. No help from Kohler! I am now told it will cost anywhere from $1500-2800 to repair and Kohler will not help with the cost of parts or labor! Are you kidding me!? This would be like buying a new car and before its first scheduled oil change the car won’t start!

I would expect more from a company and would imagine that they would want to stand by their product. Kohler is not a reputable company based on my experience with them. I am stuck and will likely have to replace my generator with another brand as the cost to repair this piece of junk will be more than the price of a new generator. Please take my advice. Avoid purchasing a Kohler product.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Kohler did not put a model # on the boat generator. The generator starts but will not stay running. Put out only 35 Volts. We cannot get parts because of no model #. The circuit board was found to be OK. We don't know it there is a starting capacitor or not. This is in a 41 Viking Yacht. Any help will be great appreciated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kohler Generators?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Been trying to get Kohler generator serviced since November 2017, now February, still no service. Have called multiple times to so-called Kohler service in Portland and Saco and have yet to receive callback to schedule. They’ll sell them to you fast but good luck afterwards. You’re on your own. Think about this when considering buying a Kohler generator. Absolutely wretched service.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I have owned a 14kw Residential Generator for about 6 years. I have had the recommended service done every 6 months by a certified dealer. Runs weekly, loaded transfer tested every service period. Now, when I really needed it, big storm, it will not come on. Under voltage alarm. Trees down on both ends of our road so service couldn't come if I could even get them to come. This lousy generator will be replaced with another brand proto. I do not recommend Kohler to anyone who needs dependable service, ever.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Generator controller went out and was replaced with a part that doesn't have as much capability. I contacted the manufacturer and they told me I just had to live with it. Having to reset the exerciser requires paying a service rep to come out or using a laptop and trying to do it myself. Very disappointed with the way they treated me.

Original review: July 18, 2017

It is very good brand and it is high quality. It is easy to operate and can be used outdoors. Powerful, portable and super sleek with lots of great features. Even more power and fuel efficiency in a quiet, portable package. It is very easy to carry and it is not too much expensive. It is the best.

Original review: July 15, 2017

All of the quality of the machine are great and useful. I have a great time using and storing the item. Easy to use. Also, the reviews were great. I researched the product and there are no bad things. I would truly recommend this machine to everyone in need.

Original review: July 14, 2017

Have to do a lot of research and make decisions on things like stationary or standby, features that you want, consumer reviews. I ordered my Kohler Generator from Home Depot and went to pick it up when they got it in. Transporting home was no problem. We have a truck. It has super reliability and performance with a 5-Year or 2000 hour limited warranty, has a locking roof, fuel and electrical connections through the enclosure wall eliminate the need for stub-ups through the bottom. But it can't power all devices, runs on propane or natural gas which is expensive unless it's a must have for you and having a large tank on your property can be unsightly.

Original review: July 3, 2017

Kohler makes a high quality generator and it was on sale so it cost the same as the Generac which I thought was not built as well Kohler. Also, they gave us a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty. And so, I purchased from them. I like that there are text alerts and natural gas fuel. The generator is also very quiet and low maintenance. The pad it came with is nice and high in case it floods. Also, automatic start and my wife doesn't have to manually start anything. However, the installation was expensive and we had to have the power off all day when the installation was booked. The generator is also too far off our house and it was difficult to get permits. Had to upgrade my gas service. It's not pretty looking as well and we had to exclude our solar power system. But overall happy so far.

Original review: May 30, 2017

We had a huge wind storm that knocked out power all over the city. We didn't want our food to thaw so we bought a Kohler generator. The stock was fairly limited because everyone was out buying them. We bought what was the best deal we could find. With the generator, I like that I can power my house when the electricity goes out!! I'm also happy that a tank of gas will last a pretty long amount of time. Also it seems it requires minimal maintenance. However, I'm not happy that it doesn't have that high of a power capacity. We can only power a few of our appliances when the power goes out. And I don't like the fact that I have to run the generator until all of the gas runs out so the gas doesn't get old and ruin the generator.

Original review: May 26, 2017

My Kohler generator was a gift but the person selected it because of the good reviews and customer feedback. I bought it because I needed a dependable and easy to use generator when we lose electricity. We lose power a lot and need the sump pump powered so basement will not flood on us. I am very happy with it because it works quickly and I never had any issue getting it started. But it is really super loud. It can not be helped since my neighbors have generators and they are just as loud. But still it's tough and somebody had to sit with it because a lot of people steal them.

Original review: May 25, 2017

My family has been a valued customer of this brand for years and hopefully many more years to come. I would definitely recommend this product to anyone looking for a good reliable generator that has a great outstanding warranty. This brand stands out and completely does what its functions say it does. It is long lasting and has no mechanical failures so far since it was bought. I like how it holds enough capacity to kick on and all the electricity will be restored within a half hour. It helps keep our family safe and never fails to be the support for my friends and family. I love the way it runs smoothly and does not make noise and it's also energy efficient. But I would improve the overall time frame it takes to get the electricity back on and working properly to its fullest extent. I also wish we had a home remote that you can control from the inside of the house.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Before my purchase, I knew practically nothing about generators and their various brands, but Kohler seemed the most newcomer friendly and it has proven to be just that. It is incredibly reliable and has never failed in times when it was needed most, providing enough power during power outages to sustain the necessary electronics in times of duress. Although it functions perfectly fine, when it is on, it is incredibly loud that it can in some instances distract from what you are doing.

Original review: May 21, 2017

I always liked the Kohler brand whenever buying anything from motors to generators over the years and chose them over other brands from previous experience. I'm Kohler Certified and I like that the generator has multiple 115 sockets to run multiple tools or appliances at a time and that it came standard with a 220 which is becoming harder to get. But I would like to the see the fuel tank capacity increased from 4 gallons and increase the run time on a tank of fuel from 8 hrs to 10 hrs per tank. Also, they can make the paint a little more durable for outdoor use on job sites.

Original review: May 20, 2017

The Kohler generator has all the feature I am looking and searching for. It did the job it was supposed to do very well and it worked with and for everything I needed to use it for. I love the size but I wish I could use multiple speeds. Other than that, I absolutely love my Kohler generator and I will not change a thing about it. I selected this because it has a great brand reputation. It is reliable, durable, versatile and easy to use. It is a great investment and I will use it for years to come and then some.

Original review: May 19, 2017

This product was conveniently priced well. I also liked the size and the capabilities within the machine. And I love how long it's able to last without powering off to save power. It's also not too large but it's also really effective and is reliable. The controls are also self-explanatory when it comes to the generator. But I would like to add a more convenient time period, knowing when it will power off and on again, as well as more protection around it in case of emergencies like trees falling down from a hurricane. But overall it was a good choice.

Original review: May 16, 2017

We had a storm coming a short while back and I wanted a generator for the home. More or less I looked up some info and called over to a store to reserve it. I then picked it up, set it up and it did a great job. The plugin areas to run lines are pretty good and being able to line it into the house is really good as well. It's also sort of stylish and I like the look of the generator a lot. But you can get it to have solar power as well. Honestly, you're going to want to advance solar on your end so you can help to put fossil fuels to an end. It'll help you prosper in the long run.

Original review: May 15, 2017

It is a smaller generator and easy to move from place to place as needed. It is exceptional to take camping and fishing due to its size and ease of use. It starts up every time no matter how long it sits in between use and is easily maintained. It powers everything that I need it to and it has enough power to handle the few items that need to remain running during power loss. The Kohler generator was extremely affordable and has been a wonderful purchase. I purchased the brand because it is a consistent brand and came highly recommended from friends and the online reviews were very positive. It met my initial expectations and continues to do so.

Kohler Generators expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kohler can trace its roots back to 1873 making cast iron castings. Today, along with plumbing fixtures, engines and furniture, it manufactures multiple models of industrial, home, portable, mobile and marine generators. Kohler generators can be fueled by natural gas or diesel and can be used to power anything from campers, boats and RVs, to large businesses and data centers.

• Gas generators: Kohler designs and manufactures over 100 customizable gas generators for light commercial and heavy industrial use. They are designed specifically for standby, prime or continuous power applications and can run on fuel, dual-fuel, natural gas or propane. A full list of gas generator models and specifications are available online.

• Diesel generators: Kohler’s diesel-fueled generators are designed and built to power large businesses such as hospitals, data centers, gas stations and airports. Models that are fueled by diesel range in output from 100-4,000 watts with their newest line of KD series diesel generators producing up to 4 megawatts of power. A full list of models and specifications is available online.

• Paralleling systems: Designed for large businesses and data centers, Kohler’s Decision-Maker Paralleling System offers 100 percent integration into your current utility setup. Whether you just need emergency backup power or prime power, Kohler can customize a system to fit your business’ needs. The paralleling system uses multiple generators (up to 9+) to provide enough power to run large facilities.

• Marine generators: Using a variation of the Decision-Maker paralleling system, Kohler lets you pair two or more generators with a single communication wire. This allows boat owners to place a generator in the starboard and port side, as well as a nighttime generator in the back, all connected to one switchgear.

• Sizing program: Kohler has a sizing program app called “Power Solutions Center” that you can download on your PC or mobile device. Its easy-to-use features like drag-and-drop, automatic one-line diagrams and pre-populated engineering tools let you spec and size your power system on the go.

• Best for: large businesses, data centers, hospitals and airports.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs