2. Miscellaneous

3.8/5 (48 ratings)

About Kohler Generators

Kohler Generators Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kohler Generators?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kohler Generators?

Original review: March 24, 2021

Thanks to our wonderful Kohler Generator and Castle Rock Electric, we have had power during several Pandemic Time electrical outages, some for days at a time! Never did we have to worry that we would not have power and especially water usage since we are on a well and need electricity.

Original review: March 11, 2021

14KW. So far so good. Had an initial issue with kicking on when the power went off. The control panel was replaced under warranty (thank goodness as they are expensive). After that it has been fairly flawless.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 10, 2021

Good generator, very reliable. It could be quieter with less vibration and I would give it a higher rating. I'm very happy to have it any way being in Hurricane alley!! I think it has a 5 or 7 year warranty!

Original review: March 9, 2021

We bought 3 whole house Kohler Generators over a period of the last 15 years. The first two were for our main house and a guest house on our property. The homes were on an island and we had quite a lot of power outages. They came on in about 8 - 10 seconds after we lost power and worked flawlessly. Whether they were on for only a few hours or a couple of days, we had everything going in the houses as we normally would.

We had such great service from them, that when we sold that property and moved out in the country, within the first 2 months we bought the same whole house Kohler Generator we were so happy with all those years; this one is about 5 years old. All three were propane as we didn’t have access to natural gas. When you have heat, air-conditioning, not have to worry about food in the fridge going bad, etc. there is nothing to compare to the peace of mind. We got a lot of use out of all three and we know you would never be sorry you got one. Excellent quality!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

My 20Kw generator worked ok for the first few years. I spent $350 a year for preventive maintenance and it turned out to be for nothing. The PC controller failed leaving the unit useless! The repair cost estimate was approximately half the cost of a new unit. ($1200 part) The unit has been in service for 4-1/2 years and now it's a boat anchor. I've had 3 outages in 4-1/2 years. Looking back, this generator was a real waste! I live near Greensboro NC and there isn't a factory authorized repair person in our 5 county Triad area. The closest technician is 2-1/2 hrs away near Fayetteville NC. When I am able, I will replace this unit with a Generac. No more Kohler for me. I certainly wouldn't recommend them to anyone I know.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I just upgraded my old Kohler generator to the latest model a week ago. During the weekly test, the generator basically blew itself up. I was told by the installing contractor, he has seen several others do the same thing within that last few months. To make matters worse, Kohler can't give me an estimate when I will have a replacement. Stay away from Kohler until they can fix this defect!!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

Generator purchased after Hurricane Delta. Generator never worked right. We live in Louisiana. Generator was taken back to where it was purchased by buyer for repairs. When generator was returned it still did not work properly. We have sent many emails and someone has come to our place to fix it but it still does not work. We paid $6000 for the generator including installation fees and have had it since last year and it never worked right and still does not work. We have asked to return it or to replace it. Kohler Generator Customer Service does not respond. My 90 year old Mother lives on our yard and we do not want to be without electricity. We was without electricity from our electrical company 6 weeks after Delta. We are back in the hurricane season now and would like to get the issue resolved.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

Ordered a 13KW generator in September 2020 with a $4000 deposit- it is now mid February 2021. I have contacted the contractor and Kohler several times for delivery and installation updates with little to no response. Covid is one thing, lack of a response and service is another. I will never trust or do business with Kohler generators again as they have not provided timely responses or given confirmation of a delivery date while they still appear to be selling the product through numerous 'dealers'. This used to be a respectable company - Just find another company.

Original review: July 1, 2020

I own a 17KW Kohler generator which only has 785 hours on it. Recently the fan became unattached from the engine and damaged the fan shroud on the unit. Kohler has discontinued the part and no replacement is available. So now I am left with a hunk of metal that cannot be used since Kohler does not have a replacement part. I would not recommend a Kohler generator because even if it works today like it may not work tomorrow because a critical part is not available.

Resolution response: Sept. 8, 2020

Clock timer was set wrong.

Original review: June 5, 2020

Installed and company started it up. It never came on weekly. I called on Monday. Did not come out until Thurs. Brand new & they have to order a part for it. DO NOT BUY KOHLER. Generator Power Systems said they are the best. If this is the best I would hate to see the worst.

Kohler Generators author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Kohler can trace its roots back to 1873 making cast iron castings. Today, along with plumbing fixtures, engines and furniture, it manufactures multiple models of industrial, home, portable, mobile and marine generators. Kohler generators can be fueled by natural gas or diesel and can be used to power anything from campers, boats and RVs, to large businesses and data centers.

• Gas generators: Kohler designs and manufactures over 100 customizable gas generators for light commercial and heavy industrial use. They are designed specifically for standby, prime or continuous power applications and can run on fuel, dual-fuel, natural gas or propane. A full list of gas generator models and specifications are available online.

• Diesel generators: Kohler’s diesel-fueled generators are designed and built to power large businesses such as hospitals, data centers, gas stations and airports. Models that are fueled by diesel range in output from 100-4,000 watts with their newest line of KD series diesel generators producing up to 4 megawatts of power. A full list of models and specifications is available online.

• Paralleling systems: Designed for large businesses and data centers, Kohler’s Decision-Maker Paralleling System offers 100 percent integration into your current utility setup. Whether you just need emergency backup power or prime power, Kohler can customize a system to fit your business’ needs. The paralleling system uses multiple generators (up to 9+) to provide enough power to run large facilities.

• Marine generators: Using a variation of the Decision-Maker paralleling system, Kohler lets you pair two or more generators with a single communication wire. This allows boat owners to place a generator in the starboard and port side, as well as a nighttime generator in the back, all connected to one switchgear.

• Sizing program: Kohler has a sizing program app called “Power Solutions Center” that you can download on your PC or mobile device. Its easy-to-use features like drag-and-drop, automatic one-line diagrams and pre-populated engineering tools let you spec and size your power system on the go.

Kohler Generators Company Information