1.42/5
Based on 129 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

214 Sunbeam Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 2, 2018

Purchased a Sunbeam microwave Oct 24, 2017. Started sparking, smoking and burning Jan 7, 2018 (3 months). Called number on microwave rather than Target where I purchased it. Big mistake. CS rep says, "Peel label on back of microwave, paste to plain white paper, copy the receipt, send to Galanz NJ HQ via trackable method and wait 8-10 wks for refund. Also... don’t throw the oven away until you receive refund." Stupid but I did as told. Apparently ovens are made by Galanz, a Chinese co., so Sunbeam washes their hands of it. Galanz only has China phone number listed on their NJ website, so you can’t call without adding more cost & they probably don’t speak English if you did spend the money. It’s 4 months later. Still no refund. Escalated by CS rep, via email, to corporate accounting to find out where refund is.

Called back in 2 wks. “No answer from corporate”. Supervisor gives same answer. “We don’t know, we can only email, there is no phone number for our corporate offices and we haven’t heard back yet.” Each time I call, same excuses. Last time she added a new one... They recently moved & were behind in refunds. Asked her when they moved, first she stuttered, then she thought March. I said, “I started the clock for 8-10 wks. Wait on JAN 16th when they signed for the documents that I sent to the “new” address they supposedly just moved to in March.” She couldn’t explain that fact. They are all just a bunch of liars, trying their best to make you get too tired to fight. I’m retired. I’m not going away... Got plenty of time to be a thorn in their side. They are crooks who steal your money and don’t stand behind their products. I’m leaving reviews wherever I can to warn people of Sunbeam and Oster products.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I have had this heating pad for a couple of months. It blinks red and I have tried to reset it several times and it works for about 2 seconds. This is a crappy product, but unfortunately I really need it. I do not have the $$$ to buy another one at $45 and I don't have the $$$ to send it back. You guys should stand behind your product. I have had several of your heating pads, with the same damn problem, with you guys offering the same damn solution. "Send it back and we will replace it." It does me no damn good because I have NOTHING to relieve the pain from a herniated disk and bulging disk which is going to require surgical intervention.

Shame on you guys for not standing behind your product and for putting the burden on the customer who have spent hard-earned $$$$ on your product(s). I borrowed a heating pad from my mom that is over 20+ years old for my back which I have problems with also hence the numerous number of your heating pads that I have purchased. If they can make heating pads back in the 90s that last, then why the hell has technology taken a nose dive with the new heating pads? Beyond ridiculous and I'm beyond fed up. Bad product and awful customer service.

Get expert buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: April 24, 2018

Heated throw quit in four months. Sunbeam wanted me to ship the item to a service center in another city at my expense which is half the cost of the original purchase price. I contacted them for another solution. After repeated emails, I finally got a response and a replacement is on the way. I am happy about that. Hope the new one lasts.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I purchased a Sunbeam Reversible Sherpa/Mink Heated Throw from Amazon. After 4 months, it stopped heating. I followed the troubleshooting recommendation from an subsequent Sunbeam email to no avail. Sunbeam expects me to ship the item to a service center in another city at my expense which is half the cost of the original purchase price. Other companies always send a pre-paid shipping label to send item at their expense. Their promise on the Amazon listing of complete customer satisfaction is a big lie. I will never purchase from this company again.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I purchased a Sunbeam warming throw through Amazon in January of 2018. It worked consistently for about a month and then became unreliable -wouldn't get very hot or only part of it would heat slightly. I called Sunbeam and got the runaround. I spent a while giving them information and testing the throw only to have them tell me it would be better if I returned it to Amazon, but the 30 day return period had already expired. Then I was told that Amazon buys older stock from them which accounts for it being unreliable was the implication. So why is Sunbeam selling unreliable, older stock to Amazon?

After waiting 20 minutes on hold to see if they would send me a label with free shipping to return the product under the warranty, I was told to package it up, make my own label, pay the postage myself and return it for repair (4-6 weeks). They counseled me in the future to buy from their website and not from Amazon. I have had numerous heating pads that have also failed under warranty due to faulty electronic controls. In the future, I won't be purchasing Sunbeam products from them or Amazon. Not worth the headache!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I built and opened a new 22 room motel in 2014. I bought 23 kettles Model KE2350 type 425 from Good Guys. Within 12 months 3 of the units blew and tripped the power fuse in the motel unit. I complained to Sunbeam who stated that the failure rate of over 10% was unusual, there had not been other complaints about this product. What a load of rubbish. Now, I have 7 units still working (in rooms with lowest use) and a failure rate of 67%. DO NOT BUY THIS CHEAP, CRAPPY AND USELESS PRODUCT. Matter of fact, read the other reviews of Sunbeam products and just don't buy their CHEAP and NASTY products.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunbeam?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I have bought 2 Sunbeam heating pads and 2 heating throws. I had my 1st heating pad and throw 5+ years and they were great and outlived the warranty. I now have 2 new ones that the heating pad is past the 3 year warranty and still going strong. My heating throw is just 1 year old and is extremely comfy. I have read so many bad reviews on these 2 products and it baffles me. I'm wondering if people actually order their products directly from the company. It seems not one person has returned their non working items back to the store they purchased it from.

If I open something & it doesn't work I don't call the manufacturer. I simply return it from where I purchased it, there isn't many places that doesn't accept returns whether you have the receipt or not. Department stores, drug stores, Amazon and eBay have no problem returning defective items back unlike customers who did not buy it directly from the manufacturer.

If you register your products as soon as you get them and it's over 90 days then I understand calling the manufacturer. I have been fortunate to have been able to email companies I did have issues with and get a prompt response. Most of the complaints I've read made it appear they did not work from the time they opened them when they got home. In my experience Sunbeam has always been a company that makes great product and I will continue to purchase products that carry its name.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I have owned vintage electric blankets from Sunbeam over the years and they all worked well. I had bought a new one recently and am very disappointed. First off the blanket control would blink meaning it has uncounted a glitch and is not functioning. I looked up this problem on SB's website and it seems they explain it as a safety issue. If the blanket gets too hot it will shut off and blink. OK well I did have it doubled over at night and maybe this was the issue. So I turned it from 5 to 3 and made sure it was flat. Well that worked for a few nights but now it's back to turning off twice in the night. Not sure what the hell is going on but this is one POS product. I don't know of the Chicoms cannot make an electric blanket or WTF is going on. But I am not happy with Sunbeam.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I bought a Sunbeam king size heating pad. Around the 9th month after the plastic where the cord goes into it split and tore loose. Contacted company by email. Gave them all the info they asked for and then after that never got a response and still can't get one. If you buy one of their products you are a dumb person. Just check their track record. I'm going after them in small claims court. Their warranty is 5 years. Can't get a 25 product replaced under warranty so court in my town is their future!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Bought this unit several years ago. It was low priced but had all the features of the expensive brand (the one that starts with a W). The only issue we've had is one of the three igniter's does not work. Since the grill was such a budget one anyway, we just deal with it. It stays outside under its cover year round even in the snow and no sign of rotting or any issues like that.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Just got off the phone with no results... Bought heated blanket in March that had a weird odor when on thought it was new smell until hospitalized with fluid in my lungs from a reaction. Tried for a replacement sunbeam said that might be bad too. Hmmmm. So no refund. No new blanket. I am a very cold senior.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I purchased 2 heated Sunbeam heated throws and both on high setting you can barely tell they are on! They are brand new purchased on eBay still in packing never used and neither heat up enough to tell they are even on, called sunbeam they have a recording saying throws are not like old fashioned heating pads or blankets and don't heat the same. Yeah lol. They don't heat at all!!! Total junk! So I am out $70.00 not unless I can get eBay to refund my money. I always thought Sunbeam would be a reputable that's why I looked for them specifically but I guess not just want your money and give you a junk.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

The water dispensing lever is made of plastic that seems to melt from the heating of the unit. After three or four weeks the handle breaks and falls off. The original version of the Hot Shot was very good, but this current version is a total waste of your money. I've had three replacements and they all failed the same way.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I have bought a new blanket every year and every year by the end of winter the blanket will not heat up at all. This year I bought a throw. Got tired of paying a higher priced blanket knowing it would only last a short time. This was the worse. I've had the throw three weeks and it is barely warming up with it set on high. It's a shoddy product. My advice don't Buy. Unfortunately because of my RA I have to have heat or I'm in severe pain. And around here it's the only product you can find in electronic blankets.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I spent 2 days trying to order items with a promotion code that they sent me. I sent several emails, but no reply. I did the online chat - they referred me to a number to call after about 30 minutes of waiting for a reply. I called the number - was only hold for 15 minutes - then they told me they couldn't help and to call another number. Finally reached someone and she was able to help - but had me up my order to get over $50 for free shipping. She said she couldn't offer it with less items. Fine - I placed an order. And then the chat lady came back online and offered me free shipping on just one item - under $50. So I told her that the phone rep said I had to get the order over $50 for free shipping and I didn't appreciate being conned, as she had just offered me free shipping on a $15 order.

Instead of validating my concern, she basically said no one made me order that many. Nice customer service! And when I told her so, she said she didn't offer me free shipping on one item. I then cut and pasted her own words, which said just that. She said I misinterpreted it. Whatever... I can see Sunbeam doesn't really care about their customers.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I have Fibromyalgia, Osteoporosis, osteoarthritis & Rheumatoid arthritis. I bought a Sunbeam Electric Fleece Throw in July 2017. The low doesn't turn on. The medium is no longer warm enough and you could cook a lean cuisine on High. Bought @ Wal-mart Canada. I'm scared to use to it now in case of fire... my movements are limited with all I have so... if it would catch fire when I am in a deep sleep. I do believe the results will NOT be good in the end... so disappointed spending that much $$ on a low income just to get screwed by as big a Company as Sunbeam... Listen carefully folks. Be care very, very CAREFUL of the brands you buy when choosing an Electric throw, Electric Blanket or Electric Mattress Cover bearing the word "SUNBEAM".:(

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I was using a heating pad because I was having leg cramps, so I plugged up the heating pad and no less than 7 min I felt a surge of heat and my leg was burnt. I was trying to treat it myself until it wouldn't stop hurting. About a week later I went to the doctor and was told I had 2nd degree burns with an infection. That's crazy. I'm waiting to see what Sunbeam has to say. But I'll never use their product again.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I purchased a fitted electric blanket from Myer about 3 years ago. 1 side stopped heating up shortly after purchase & Myer replaced it ok. The other side has recently stopped heating up. Myer don't want to hear about it. I will never purchase Sunbeam again!!

Original review: July 16, 2017

I purchased a Sunbeam Heating Pad in the first few days of March 2017. In the few days leading up to March 5th & using the heating pad on a recliner for pain in my lower back, I noticed even on lowest setting the heating pad was extremely hot so I used a thick towel between the heating pad and my back. On March 5th I shut off the heating pad and went to bed. Several hours later I was awoken by banging on my door and the sprinkler system raining down, I have a canopy bed so I was protected from feeling the water, besides being in a complete dead sleep from not feeling well that day. Needless to say that my apartment and the down stairs apartment were completely flooded by sprinkler system in ceiling, the fire department came took chair downstairs & 3 fire Marshal's deemed the cause to be a faulty heating pad. Thankfully no one was injured but it caused 50,000 in damages to my belongings, thankfully I had Renter's Insurance.

The lady downstairs did not but was covered by the owners of complex to my knowledge? Both apartments were deemed inhabitable & I was forced to leave the only home I knew for over 7yrs because of water damage. It would take months to restore. They care very little for the little guy, the apartment complex was income based & I could not find another income based repayment within 50miles that was available so I was forced to rent & almost pay double a month for a much smaller apartment. Sadly Sunbeam didn't give a hoot, the fire was deemed an accident and "move on" was what I got when I called. Even though it was THEIR FAULTY ITEM THAT CAUSED SUCH DESTRUCTION!!

I will NEVER use a plug in heating pad EVER again, or ANY Sunbeam product!! Sunbeam hides how many fires or harm their products cause & sadly ignore any complaints, I had the receipt and the box but they were in room where fire started and destroyed by the FIRE!! But by my credit card can provide date/time purchased at neighbor Walmart just a few days prior to the fire. I just pray that someone reads this before purchasing their product, it may just save a life because it almost took mine...

Original review: March 8, 2017

I'm well into my adulthood. The reason I've never owned an electric blanket was fear of it catching fire. I saw a Sunbeam heated throw at the end of the 2016 winter season and the price was too good to pass up. This probably almost cost me my life. I fell in love with this. Who doesn't want warm sheets and blankets while dozing off? I loved the concept that it automatically turned itself off after two hours. Well, at least that's what happened the first three months. I'd put the blanket on LOW and go to sleep and in two hours, it would automatically turn off.

Last night, thankfully I woke up about three hours after going to bed. So the heated throw should've been off at least one hour prior to me waking up. Instead, the Sunbeam heated throw was blistering hot. Thankfully I don't put it directly on my skin. I have two other sheets between the Sunbeam heated and my body. I was shocked after waking up to a fiery hot blanket! But here's the kicker, when I looked at the remote, it was OFF! So this Sunbeam heated throw malfunctioned and started delivering "high" heat when it was suppose to be off. I snatched it out of the plug. I will NEVER sleep with this thing plugged up again. In another hour or two, this Sunbeam heated throw probably would've caught on fire and I'd be dead.

In the morning I immediately Googled "Sunbeam heated throws overheat" and found a plethora of other people who have had the same thing or worse happen. So bottom line, DO NOT BUY Sunbeam products. As I read the complaints, it's not only electric blankets, it's many of their other products as well. My heart goes out to Trish of Tacoma, WA who wrote a review on this site on January 10, 2005. Don't buy Sunbeam! Or stop sleeping with it.

Original review: March 8, 2017

Bought Sunbeam Heated Mattress Pad, King, MSU1GKS-N000-11A00 online a few days ago and the electric cord length between the two controls is too short for a king mattress, only 1 control can be on the furniture beside the bed, the other can only be on the floor beside the bed. Mattress pad fits the king bed perfectly. The queen version of the electric cord must have been sent with the product. Tried to contact Sunbeam via phone, were too busy. Tried chatting, new window finally said I must log on even though I was logged onto the Sunbeam site. Tried to chat again. Same answer. Gave up.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

This appliance has lasted for years, continues to perform very well. I value the "speed defrost" setting most of all. It has made a difference countless times when I've been tired & hungry. Instead of a junk food dinner, I had a healthy, tasty one at the end of a long day.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

Bought this counter-top microwave in Dec. 2003 when I got divorced -- it's still working fine and gets lots of use. It's not complicated with a bunch of buttons and options -- has a dial for "defrost", "low", "medium", or "high" and a dial for how many minutes. I don't want a microwave that requires reading an instruction book in order to operate! It's worked well since I bought it. I wish it was a bit larger.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

The price was very good and it had more wattage for its small size. Wish I could get a 1100 watt microwave in this small counter size. Strongest one is the one I brought at 900 watts. All microwaves I looked at to buy were 700 watts in which according to frozen foods one buys in the store, all boxes say not to use less than a 1000 watts.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

I just purchased a queen heated blanket a couple of weeks ago and the lights on the controller are blinking and it is not heating up on the right side. I am trying to get a replacement with no luck so far.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

I had purchased the shoulder heating pad with massager. The company emailed me to review the product and they denied my review. I had written: This product does not massage; it VIBRATES!!! I bought it as a gift for my Mom and she said the vibration made her feel dizzy. So I figured I would exchange it for the heating pad without the massager. Instructions said to call if you wanted to exchange. I waited on hold for 10 minutes just to be told that they don't do exchanges and I had to pay for shipping which was 20 BUCKS! That was the cheapest option because they are located in the middle of nowhere so there was a surcharge. I will NEVER buy from them again!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

Out of the box - will not work. Call the company and after 10 minutes with a stupid computer - "We have a heavy volume of calls. Call back later."

Original review: June 13, 2016

Purchased two Queen size "Rest & Relieve" mattress pads 11/2014, total $ 239.66. One was a gift for my daughter and one was for me. Used for two winter seasons. We removed from the bed, laundered, and stored during the warm months. When I took mine off the bed last week and washed gently as instructed and then lined dried we noticed that the underside of the pad was completely torn (image attached). It happened to my daughter's first (which was a gift from me). At the time I thought was an isolated case but then I washed mine and the same thing happened.

I called Sunbeam to make them aware that there was a problem and although there is a 3-year warranty on the product (and I bought these 16 months ago) the best that they would offer would be to have me return the mattress pad to their warehouse for inspection. They were very reluctant to offer that. When I complained that I didn't feel I should have to pay postage to have them look at what was clearly defective merchandise they offered me a pre-paid postage label but they made it clear that they typically don't do that. They also informed me that if my daughter would like to resolve the same issues that I just spent 10 minutes on the phone discussing with them she would have to call separately.

They would not extend that same offer for both mattress pads even though they were bought at the same time by me and had the exact same problem. I thanked them but, no thanks, it was a gift and I feel responsible for giving my daughter something that clearly was not made well and now they want her to take time out of her work day to go through the same nonsense that I did. I expected Sunbeam to stand behind their products especially since there is a 3 year warranty on this product and it was not inexpensive.

I wrongly assumed that the Quality Control department at Sunbeam would want to see the problem, especially since it happened to two different mattress pads at the same time - that to me shows there's a real Quality Control issue. I will take them back to Bed, Bath & Beyond because unlike Sunbeam they do stand behind everything they sell. Not surprisingly - Bed, Bath & Beyond no longer carries this product.

Original review: May 10, 2016

While using the iron, in the motion of stroking the pants I was ironing, the iron put out a spark and then a full out flame. I quickly pulled the plug from the wall socket and blew the flame out. I have a silver, flame retardant iron cover, so it or the pants did not catch fire. Very scary - this product should be recalled - the whole house could have burned down if I did not act so quickly.

Original review: April 7, 2016 I just had a very bad experience with Sunbeam products. I purchased a Mixmaster in 2015 & after using it about 6 or 7 times the beater started falling out. I emailed Sunbeam about the problem. They responded by asking me for specific info (product #, etc). I gave them all of the info they requested & was then told that because this mixer was manufactured in 2008 the warranty was no longer acceptable. I then took it to a service location in AZ & was told that it cannot be repaired. They said Sunbeam usually just swaps it out for a new one because they are aware that it can't be repaired, since their products are now made in China.

Please people, be very wary about buying any Sunbeam products. They're no longer well made & they don't stand behind their products.

Original review: March 28, 2016

I purchased a Sunbeam throw just over a year ago as a Christmas present. It worked great for a while, but now it doesn't work at all. When it first started malfunctioning, it would work for some time, (maybe 10 minutes) then the control dial would start flashing red. I've done everything the instructions say to do in order to "fix" the problem, and I also tried to find solutions online. Nothing helped. Now when the throw gets turned on, the control dial immediately flashes red and the throw doesn't heat up at all. Very unimpressed and dissatisfied with this product, considering how expensive heated blankets and throws can be!

Sunbeam Company Information