1.38/5
  • 1 star
Based on 120 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 15, 2017

205 Sunbeam Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Just got off the phone with no results... Bought heated blanket in March that had a weird odor when on thought it was new smell until hospitalized with fluid in my lungs from a reaction. Tried for a replacement sunbeam said that might be bad too. Hmmmm. So no refund. No new blanket. I am a very cold senior.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I purchased 2 heated Sunbeam heated throws and both on high setting you can barely tell they are on! They are brand new purchased on eBay still in packing never used and neither heat up enough to tell they are even on, called sunbeam they have a recording saying throws are not like old fashioned heating pads or blankets and don't heat the same. Yeah lol. They don't heat at all!!! Total junk! So I am out $70.00 not unless I can get eBay to refund my money. I always thought Sunbeam would be a reputable that's why I looked for them specifically but I guess not just want your money and give you a junk.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

The water dispensing lever is made of plastic that seems to melt from the heating of the unit. After three or four weeks the handle breaks and falls off. The original version of the Hot Shot was very good, but this current version is a total waste of your money. I've had three replacements and they all failed the same way.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I have bought a new blanket every year and every year by the end of winter the blanket will not heat up at all. This year I bought a throw. Got tired of paying a higher priced blanket knowing it would only last a short time. This was the worse. I've had the throw three weeks and it is barely warming up with it set on high. It's a shoddy product. My advice don't Buy. Unfortunately because of my RA I have to have heat or I'm in severe pain. And around here it's the only product you can find in electronic blankets.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I spent 2 days trying to order items with a promotion code that they sent me. I sent several emails, but no reply. I did the online chat - they referred me to a number to call after about 30 minutes of waiting for a reply. I called the number - was only hold for 15 minutes - then they told me they couldn't help and to call another number. Finally reached someone and she was able to help - but had me up my order to get over $50 for free shipping. She said she couldn't offer it with less items. Fine - I placed an order. And then the chat lady came back online and offered me free shipping on just one item - under $50. So I told her that the phone rep said I had to get the order over $50 for free shipping and I didn't appreciate being conned, as she had just offered me free shipping on a $15 order.

Instead of validating my concern, she basically said no one made me order that many. Nice customer service! And when I told her so, she said she didn't offer me free shipping on one item. I then cut and pasted her own words, which said just that. She said I misinterpreted it. Whatever... I can see Sunbeam doesn't really care about their customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunbeam?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I have Fibromyalgia, Osteoporosis, osteoarthritis & Rheumatoid arthritis. I bought a Sunbeam Electric Fleece Throw in July 2017. The low doesn't turn on. The medium is no longer warm enough and you could cook a lean cuisine on High. Bought @ Wal-mart Canada. I'm scared to use to it now in case of fire... my movements are limited with all I have so... if it would catch fire when I am in a deep sleep. I do believe the results will NOT be good in the end... so disappointed spending that much $$ on a low income just to get screwed by as big a Company as Sunbeam... Listen carefully folks. Be care very, very CAREFUL of the brands you buy when choosing an Electric throw, Electric Blanket or Electric Mattress Cover bearing the word "SUNBEAM".:(

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I was using a heating pad because I was having leg cramps, so I plugged up the heating pad and no less than 7 min I felt a surge of heat and my leg was burnt. I was trying to treat it myself until it wouldn't stop hurting. About a week later I went to the doctor and was told I had 2nd degree burns with an infection. That's crazy. I'm waiting to see what Sunbeam has to say. But I'll never use their product again.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I purchased a fitted electric blanket from Myer about 3 years ago. 1 side stopped heating up shortly after purchase & Myer replaced it ok. The other side has recently stopped heating up. Myer don't want to hear about it. I will never purchase Sunbeam again!!

Original review: July 16, 2017

I purchased a Sunbeam Heating Pad in the first few days of March 2017. In the few days leading up to March 5th & using the heating pad on a recliner for pain in my lower back, I noticed even on lowest setting the heating pad was extremely hot so I used a thick towel between the heating pad and my back. On March 5th I shut off the heating pad and went to bed. Several hours later I was awoken by banging on my door and the sprinkler system raining down, I have a canopy bed so I was protected from feeling the water, besides being in a complete dead sleep from not feeling well that day. Needless to say that my apartment and the down stairs apartment were completely flooded by sprinkler system in ceiling, the fire department came took chair downstairs & 3 fire Marshal's deemed the cause to be a faulty heating pad. Thankfully no one was injured but it caused 50,000 in damages to my belongings, thankfully I had Renter's Insurance.

The lady downstairs did not but was covered by the owners of complex to my knowledge? Both apartments were deemed inhabitable & I was forced to leave the only home I knew for over 7yrs because of water damage. It would take months to restore. They care very little for the little guy, the apartment complex was income based & I could not find another income based repayment within 50miles that was available so I was forced to rent & almost pay double a month for a much smaller apartment. Sadly Sunbeam didn't give a hoot, the fire was deemed an accident and "move on" was what I got when I called. Even though it was THEIR FAULTY ITEM THAT CAUSED SUCH DESTRUCTION!!

I will NEVER use a plug in heating pad EVER again, or ANY Sunbeam product!! Sunbeam hides how many fires or harm their products cause & sadly ignore any complaints, I had the receipt and the box but they were in room where fire started and destroyed by the FIRE!! But by my credit card can provide date/time purchased at neighbor Walmart just a few days prior to the fire. I just pray that someone reads this before purchasing their product, it may just save a life because it almost took mine...

Original review: March 8, 2017

I'm well into my adulthood. The reason I've never owned an electric blanket was fear of it catching fire. I saw a Sunbeam heated throw at the end of the 2016 winter season and the price was too good to pass up. This probably almost cost me my life. I fell in love with this. Who doesn't want warm sheets and blankets while dozing off? I loved the concept that it automatically turned itself off after two hours. Well, at least that's what happened the first three months. I'd put the blanket on LOW and go to sleep and in two hours, it would automatically turn off.

Last night, thankfully I woke up about three hours after going to bed. So the heated throw should've been off at least one hour prior to me waking up. Instead, the Sunbeam heated throw was blistering hot. Thankfully I don't put it directly on my skin. I have two other sheets between the Sunbeam heated and my body. I was shocked after waking up to a fiery hot blanket! But here's the kicker, when I looked at the remote, it was OFF! So this Sunbeam heated throw malfunctioned and started delivering "high" heat when it was suppose to be off. I snatched it out of the plug. I will NEVER sleep with this thing plugged up again. In another hour or two, this Sunbeam heated throw probably would've caught on fire and I'd be dead.

In the morning I immediately Googled "Sunbeam heated throws overheat" and found a plethora of other people who have had the same thing or worse happen. So bottom line, DO NOT BUY Sunbeam products. As I read the complaints, it's not only electric blankets, it's many of their other products as well. My heart goes out to Trish of Tacoma, WA who wrote a review on this site on January 10, 2005. Don't buy Sunbeam! Or stop sleeping with it.

Original review: March 8, 2017

Bought Sunbeam Heated Mattress Pad, King, MSU1GKS-N000-11A00 online a few days ago and the electric cord length between the two controls is too short for a king mattress, only 1 control can be on the furniture beside the bed, the other can only be on the floor beside the bed. Mattress pad fits the king bed perfectly. The queen version of the electric cord must have been sent with the product. Tried to contact Sunbeam via phone, were too busy. Tried chatting, new window finally said I must log on even though I was logged onto the Sunbeam site. Tried to chat again. Same answer. Gave up.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

This appliance has lasted for years, continues to perform very well. I value the "speed defrost" setting most of all. It has made a difference countless times when I've been tired & hungry. Instead of a junk food dinner, I had a healthy, tasty one at the end of a long day.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

Bought this counter-top microwave in Dec. 2003 when I got divorced -- it's still working fine and gets lots of use. It's not complicated with a bunch of buttons and options -- has a dial for "defrost", "low", "medium", or "high" and a dial for how many minutes. I don't want a microwave that requires reading an instruction book in order to operate! It's worked well since I bought it. I wish it was a bit larger.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

The price was very good and it had more wattage for its small size. Wish I could get a 1100 watt microwave in this small counter size. Strongest one is the one I brought at 900 watts. All microwaves I looked at to buy were 700 watts in which according to frozen foods one buys in the store, all boxes say not to use less than a 1000 watts.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

I just purchased a queen heated blanket a couple of weeks ago and the lights on the controller are blinking and it is not heating up on the right side. I am trying to get a replacement with no luck so far.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

I had purchased the shoulder heating pad with massager. The company emailed me to review the product and they denied my review. I had written: This product does not massage; it VIBRATES!!! I bought it as a gift for my Mom and she said the vibration made her feel dizzy. So I figured I would exchange it for the heating pad without the massager. Instructions said to call if you wanted to exchange. I waited on hold for 10 minutes just to be told that they don't do exchanges and I had to pay for shipping which was 20 BUCKS! That was the cheapest option because they are located in the middle of nowhere so there was a surcharge. I will NEVER buy from them again!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

Out of the box - will not work. Call the company and after 10 minutes with a stupid computer - "We have a heavy volume of calls. Call back later."

Original review: June 13, 2016

Purchased two Queen size "Rest & Relieve" mattress pads 11/2014, total $ 239.66. One was a gift for my daughter and one was for me. Used for two winter seasons. We removed from the bed, laundered, and stored during the warm months. When I took mine off the bed last week and washed gently as instructed and then lined dried we noticed that the underside of the pad was completely torn (image attached). It happened to my daughter's first (which was a gift from me). At the time I thought was an isolated case but then I washed mine and the same thing happened.

I called Sunbeam to make them aware that there was a problem and although there is a 3-year warranty on the product (and I bought these 16 months ago) the best that they would offer would be to have me return the mattress pad to their warehouse for inspection. They were very reluctant to offer that. When I complained that I didn't feel I should have to pay postage to have them look at what was clearly defective merchandise they offered me a pre-paid postage label but they made it clear that they typically don't do that. They also informed me that if my daughter would like to resolve the same issues that I just spent 10 minutes on the phone discussing with them she would have to call separately.

They would not extend that same offer for both mattress pads even though they were bought at the same time by me and had the exact same problem. I thanked them but, no thanks, it was a gift and I feel responsible for giving my daughter something that clearly was not made well and now they want her to take time out of her work day to go through the same nonsense that I did. I expected Sunbeam to stand behind their products especially since there is a 3 year warranty on this product and it was not inexpensive.

I wrongly assumed that the Quality Control department at Sunbeam would want to see the problem, especially since it happened to two different mattress pads at the same time - that to me shows there's a real Quality Control issue. I will take them back to Bed, Bath & Beyond because unlike Sunbeam they do stand behind everything they sell. Not surprisingly - Bed, Bath & Beyond no longer carries this product.

Original review: May 10, 2016

While using the iron, in the motion of stroking the pants I was ironing, the iron put out a spark and then a full out flame. I quickly pulled the plug from the wall socket and blew the flame out. I have a silver, flame retardant iron cover, so it or the pants did not catch fire. Very scary - this product should be recalled - the whole house could have burned down if I did not act so quickly.

Original review: April 7, 2016
I just had a very bad experience with Sunbeam products. I purchased a Mixmaster in 2015 & after using it about 6 or 7 times the beater started falling out. I emailed Sunbeam about the problem. They responded by asking me for specific info (product #, etc). I gave them all of the info they requested & was then told that because this mixer was manufactured in 2008 the warranty was no longer acceptable. I then took it to a service location in AZ & was told that it cannot be repaired. They said Sunbeam usually just swaps it out for a new one because they are aware that it can't be repaired, since their products are now made in China.

Please people, be very wary about buying any Sunbeam products. They're no longer well made & they don't stand behind their products.

Original review: March 28, 2016

I purchased a Sunbeam throw just over a year ago as a Christmas present. It worked great for a while, but now it doesn't work at all. When it first started malfunctioning, it would work for some time, (maybe 10 minutes) then the control dial would start flashing red. I've done everything the instructions say to do in order to "fix" the problem, and I also tried to find solutions online. Nothing helped. Now when the throw gets turned on, the control dial immediately flashes red and the throw doesn't heat up at all. Very unimpressed and dissatisfied with this product, considering how expensive heated blankets and throws can be!

Original review: March 15, 2016

I also thought Sunbeam was a brand to trust. It's not. I purchased a heated throw. Loved the blanket and it worked fine for one winter season and then the control light stayed blinking and it wouldn't work anymore. I bought another one and the exact same thing happened, again after only a few months of daily use. Obviously there is something wrong with the way it's being made. Planned obsolescence perhaps?

Original review: March 14, 2016

Wow! I can surely add to list of joy! I bought the heating pad 3 or 4 months ago and I was really enjoying it. And then just now I plugged it in and my room started to smell. It was the super hot cord that I quickly pulled out of the wall. Shame on you Sunbeam! I should have done my research on this company. Thankful that I did not get burned, but I see that others have.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2016

My wife and I purchased two Sunbeam blankets (queen size models) during the past four years. Each worked well, as expected, for about a year. Each now gives very little heat, and only a tiny bit at the module connection points. Our disappointment with Sunbeam is immense. A lot of money spent for brief satisfaction. We will not spend more money to request any distant warranty service; nor will we spend more money on Sunbeam blankets. Truly a chill-inducing experience!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2016

I was so impressed with this iron when I first purchased it. Perfect amount of steam and extra steam when you used the Steam Button, however after only a few times using it the steam button malfunctioned and is STUCK! I am so sick of purchasing crap from name brand companies. Everything is disposable these days and companies continue to produce products they refuse to stand by (how can you stand by garbage?) They refuse refunds by not answering emails. Do NOT buy this iron. You will not be happy.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2015

I have been using a twin size e.b. since early October '15. Recently the light would start to flash on the control and you couldn't do anything other than unplug it and then plug it back in. It would be OK for a short time and then do the same thing. When it kept flashing, the heat went way down to barely any at all. I had forgotten having trouble with another Sunbeam blanket a couple of years ago. The blanket itself was so nice, but the controls didn't last. Sunbeam replaced two but both went out and so did the blanket. Now I have two, one has been used for only a couple of nights and so far is working OK. Wonder how long that will last. I haven't called Sunbeam yet to see if they will replace the control. If not, I will never purchase another Sunbeam product. Thought they had a good reputation for quality products. Guess I was wrong.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2015

Junk, purchased a twin size heated blanket from Walmart... $40, it died 35 days later. Why would I save the receipt so I called Sunbeam. They troubleshoot, asked for codes on the plug (this is when you know they know of lot #'s being faulty) and requested I send it in for repair... WTF, it would cost me $10-15 to send it and be without a blanket for 3-4 weeks. I told them shove it. POOR PRODUCT. I will never own another Sunbeam product in my life.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2015

I purchased a heating wearable scarf for my homeless brother. It did not work. I first tried it with the batteries they provide and kept it on for about 30-40 minutes. Then I decided it might be the batteries. I changed them and again turned switch to ON for about 1 hour and nothing. I regretted this purchase and the heated mattress purchase. I called Sunbeam today to ask if they could cover the $6.00 return shipping for this $13.99 item and at first the CSR agreed to cover it and kept me on hold while she was processing to email me a label. Then she returned on phone to say that in fact they would not cover it. I got upset. Also I reviewed the items on Sunbeam's website and they removed the review on the scarf!!! They clearly removed it on purpose. I hope that the heated wrap I bought for my mother continues to work as I tested it and so far it works. I never want to order from them as their return policy is terrible as is their customer service and obvious the quality of the products is terrible.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

The mattress pad we purchased November 2015 makes a lot of buzzing sounds and we paid over $149 for and they want us to cover the shipping for a return for a new product. This after numerous phone calls and emails to their customer service reps. The pad gets hotter than we can handle at level 3 and then it makes sounds like a buzzing sort of sound and cannot use this for fear of it being a fire hazard. We showed it to our firemen friends and they said - "do not use it - return it".

Original review: Dec. 7, 2015

I bought a Sunbeam microwave with a round clock on the front. When you unpacked it it had a sheet, a plastic under the clock rather than over it that was very difficult to remove. I had pieces of plastic hanging out from around the clock. I called Sunbeam to ask if the face of the clock popped off to which they urged me not to take apart the microwave and to use tools. I actually had tried to use tweezers but started scratching the metal surface. A lot of trouble for a piece of plastic. Microwave will go back to the store.

Sunbeam Company Information