Sunbeam

Compare Appliances

Research top Appliances recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I was using a heating pad because I was having leg cramps, so I plugged up the heating pad and no less than 7 min I felt a surge of heat and my leg was burnt. I was trying to treat it myself until it wouldn't stop hurting. About a week later I went to the doctor and was told I had 2nd degree burns with an infection. That's crazy. I'm waiting to see what Sunbeam has to say. But I'll never use their product again.

I purchased a fitted electric blanket from Myer about 3 years ago. 1 side stopped heating up shortly after purchase & Myer replaced it ok. The other side has recently stopped heating up. Myer don't want to hear about it. I will never purchase Sunbeam again!!

I purchased a Sunbeam Heating Pad in the first few days of March 2017. In the few days leading up to March 5th & using the heating pad on a recliner for pain in my lower back, I noticed even on lowest setting the heating pad was extremely hot so I used a thick towel between the heating pad and my back. On March 5th I shut off the heating pad and went to bed. Several hours later I was awoken by banging on my door and the sprinkler system raining down, I have a canopy bed so I was protected from feeling the water, besides being in a complete dead sleep from not feeling well that day. Needless to say that my apartment and the down stairs apartment were completely flooded by sprinkler system in ceiling, the fire department came took chair downstairs & 3 fire Marshal's deemed the cause to be a faulty heating pad. Thankfully no one was injured but it caused 50,000 in damages to my belongings, thankfully I had Renter's Insurance.

The lady downstairs did not but was covered by the owners of complex to my knowledge? Both apartments were deemed inhabitable & I was forced to leave the only home I knew for over 7yrs because of water damage. It would take months to restore. They care very little for the little guy, the apartment complex was income based & I could not find another income based repayment within 50miles that was available so I was forced to rent & almost pay double a month for a much smaller apartment. Sadly Sunbeam didn't give a hoot, the fire was deemed an accident and "move on" was what I got when I called. Even though it was THEIR FAULTY ITEM THAT CAUSED SUCH DESTRUCTION!!

I will NEVER use a plug in heating pad EVER again, or ANY Sunbeam product!! Sunbeam hides how many fires or harm their products cause & sadly ignore any complaints, I had the receipt and the box but they were in room where fire started and destroyed by the FIRE!! But by my credit card can provide date/time purchased at neighbor Walmart just a few days prior to the fire. I just pray that someone reads this before purchasing their product, it may just save a life because it almost took mine...

I'm well into my adulthood. The reason I've never owned an electric blanket was fear of it catching fire. I saw a Sunbeam heated throw at the end of the 2016 winter season and the price was too good to pass up. This probably almost cost me my life. I fell in love with this. Who doesn't want warm sheets and blankets while dozing off? I loved the concept that it automatically turned itself off after two hours. Well, at least that's what happened the first three months. I'd put the blanket on LOW and go to sleep and in two hours, it would automatically turn off.

Last night, thankfully I woke up about three hours after going to bed. So the heated throw should've been off at least one hour prior to me waking up. Instead, the Sunbeam heated throw was blistering hot. Thankfully I don't put it directly on my skin. I have two other sheets between the Sunbeam heated and my body. I was shocked after waking up to a fiery hot blanket! But here's the kicker, when I looked at the remote, it was OFF! So this Sunbeam heated throw malfunctioned and started delivering "high" heat when it was suppose to be off. I snatched it out of the plug. I will NEVER sleep with this thing plugged up again. In another hour or two, this Sunbeam heated throw probably would've caught on fire and I'd be dead.

In the morning I immediately Googled "Sunbeam heated throws overheat" and found a plethora of other people who have had the same thing or worse happen. So bottom line, DO NOT BUY Sunbeam products. As I read the complaints, it's not only electric blankets, it's many of their other products as well. My heart goes out to Trish of Tacoma, WA who wrote a review on this site on January 10, 2005. Don't buy Sunbeam! Or stop sleeping with it.

Bought Sunbeam Heated Mattress Pad, King, MSU1GKS-N000-11A00 online a few days ago and the electric cord length between the two controls is too short for a king mattress, only 1 control can be on the furniture beside the bed, the other can only be on the floor beside the bed. Mattress pad fits the king bed perfectly. The queen version of the electric cord must have been sent with the product. Tried to contact Sunbeam via phone, were too busy. Tried chatting, new window finally said I must log on even though I was logged onto the Sunbeam site. Tried to chat again. Same answer. Gave up.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunbeam?

This appliance has lasted for years, continues to perform very well. I value the "speed defrost" setting most of all. It has made a difference countless times when I've been tired & hungry. Instead of a junk food dinner, I had a healthy, tasty one at the end of a long day.

Bought this counter-top microwave in Dec. 2003 when I got divorced -- it's still working fine and gets lots of use. It's not complicated with a bunch of buttons and options -- has a dial for "defrost", "low", "medium", or "high" and a dial for how many minutes. I don't want a microwave that requires reading an instruction book in order to operate! It's worked well since I bought it. I wish it was a bit larger.

The price was very good and it had more wattage for its small size. Wish I could get a 1100 watt microwave in this small counter size. Strongest one is the one I brought at 900 watts. All microwaves I looked at to buy were 700 watts in which according to frozen foods one buys in the store, all boxes say not to use less than a 1000 watts.

I just purchased a queen heated blanket a couple of weeks ago and the lights on the controller are blinking and it is not heating up on the right side. I am trying to get a replacement with no luck so far.

I had purchased the shoulder heating pad with massager. The company emailed me to review the product and they denied my review. I had written: This product does not massage; it VIBRATES!!! I bought it as a gift for my Mom and she said the vibration made her feel dizzy. So I figured I would exchange it for the heating pad without the massager. Instructions said to call if you wanted to exchange. I waited on hold for 10 minutes just to be told that they don't do exchanges and I had to pay for shipping which was 20 BUCKS! That was the cheapest option because they are located in the middle of nowhere so there was a surcharge. I will NEVER buy from them again!

Out of the box - will not work. Call the company and after 10 minutes with a stupid computer - "We have a heavy volume of calls. Call back later."

Purchased two Queen size "Rest & Relieve" mattress pads 11/2014, total $ 239.66. One was a gift for my daughter and one was for me. Used for two winter seasons. We removed from the bed, laundered, and stored during the warm months. When I took mine off the bed last week and washed gently as instructed and then lined dried we noticed that the underside of the pad was completely torn (image attached). It happened to my daughter's first (which was a gift from me). At the time I thought was an isolated case but then I washed mine and the same thing happened.

I called Sunbeam to make them aware that there was a problem and although there is a 3-year warranty on the product (and I bought these 16 months ago) the best that they would offer would be to have me return the mattress pad to their warehouse for inspection. They were very reluctant to offer that. When I complained that I didn't feel I should have to pay postage to have them look at what was clearly defective merchandise they offered me a pre-paid postage label but they made it clear that they typically don't do that. They also informed me that if my daughter would like to resolve the same issues that I just spent 10 minutes on the phone discussing with them she would have to call separately.

They would not extend that same offer for both mattress pads even though they were bought at the same time by me and had the exact same problem. I thanked them but, no thanks, it was a gift and I feel responsible for giving my daughter something that clearly was not made well and now they want her to take time out of her work day to go through the same nonsense that I did. I expected Sunbeam to stand behind their products especially since there is a 3 year warranty on this product and it was not inexpensive.

I wrongly assumed that the Quality Control department at Sunbeam would want to see the problem, especially since it happened to two different mattress pads at the same time - that to me shows there's a real Quality Control issue. I will take them back to Bed, Bath & Beyond because unlike Sunbeam they do stand behind everything they sell. Not surprisingly - Bed, Bath & Beyond no longer carries this product.

While using the iron, in the motion of stroking the pants I was ironing, the iron put out a spark and then a full out flame. I quickly pulled the plug from the wall socket and blew the flame out. I have a silver, flame retardant iron cover, so it or the pants did not catch fire. Very scary - this product should be recalled - the whole house could have burned down if I did not act so quickly.

I just had a very bad experience with Sunbeam products. I purchased a Mixmaster in 2015 & after using it about 6 or 7 times the beater started falling out. I emailed Sunbeam about the problem. They responded by asking me for specific info (product #, etc). I gave them all of the info they requested & was then told that because this mixer was manufactured in 2008 the warranty was no longer acceptable. I then took it to a service location in AZ & was told that it cannot be repaired. They said Sunbeam usually just swaps it out for a new one because they are aware that it can't be repaired, since their products are now made in China.

Please people, be very wary about buying any Sunbeam products. They're no longer well made & they don't stand behind their products.

I purchased a Sunbeam throw just over a year ago as a Christmas present. It worked great for a while, but now it doesn't work at all. When it first started malfunctioning, it would work for some time, (maybe 10 minutes) then the control dial would start flashing red. I've done everything the instructions say to do in order to "fix" the problem, and I also tried to find solutions online. Nothing helped. Now when the throw gets turned on, the control dial immediately flashes red and the throw doesn't heat up at all. Very unimpressed and dissatisfied with this product, considering how expensive heated blankets and throws can be!

I also thought Sunbeam was a brand to trust. It's not. I purchased a heated throw. Loved the blanket and it worked fine for one winter season and then the control light stayed blinking and it wouldn't work anymore. I bought another one and the exact same thing happened, again after only a few months of daily use. Obviously there is something wrong with the way it's being made. Planned obsolescence perhaps?

Wow! I can surely add to list of joy! I bought the heating pad 3 or 4 months ago and I was really enjoying it. And then just now I plugged it in and my room started to smell. It was the super hot cord that I quickly pulled out of the wall. Shame on you Sunbeam! I should have done my research on this company. Thankful that I did not get burned, but I see that others have.

My wife and I purchased two Sunbeam blankets (queen size models) during the past four years. Each worked well, as expected, for about a year. Each now gives very little heat, and only a tiny bit at the module connection points. Our disappointment with Sunbeam is immense. A lot of money spent for brief satisfaction. We will not spend more money to request any distant warranty service; nor will we spend more money on Sunbeam blankets. Truly a chill-inducing experience!

I was so impressed with this iron when I first purchased it. Perfect amount of steam and extra steam when you used the Steam Button, however after only a few times using it the steam button malfunctioned and is STUCK! I am so sick of purchasing crap from name brand companies. Everything is disposable these days and companies continue to produce products they refuse to stand by (how can you stand by garbage?) They refuse refunds by not answering emails. Do NOT buy this iron. You will not be happy.

I have been using a twin size e.b. since early October '15. Recently the light would start to flash on the control and you couldn't do anything other than unplug it and then plug it back in. It would be OK for a short time and then do the same thing. When it kept flashing, the heat went way down to barely any at all. I had forgotten having trouble with another Sunbeam blanket a couple of years ago. The blanket itself was so nice, but the controls didn't last. Sunbeam replaced two but both went out and so did the blanket. Now I have two, one has been used for only a couple of nights and so far is working OK. Wonder how long that will last. I haven't called Sunbeam yet to see if they will replace the control. If not, I will never purchase another Sunbeam product. Thought they had a good reputation for quality products. Guess I was wrong.

Junk, purchased a twin size heated blanket from Walmart... $40, it died 35 days later. Why would I save the receipt so I called Sunbeam. They troubleshoot, asked for codes on the plug (this is when you know they know of lot #'s being faulty) and requested I send it in for repair... WTF, it would cost me $10-15 to send it and be without a blanket for 3-4 weeks. I told them shove it. POOR PRODUCT. I will never own another Sunbeam product in my life.

I purchased a heating wearable scarf for my homeless brother. It did not work. I first tried it with the batteries they provide and kept it on for about 30-40 minutes. Then I decided it might be the batteries. I changed them and again turned switch to ON for about 1 hour and nothing. I regretted this purchase and the heated mattress purchase. I called Sunbeam today to ask if they could cover the $6.00 return shipping for this $13.99 item and at first the CSR agreed to cover it and kept me on hold while she was processing to email me a label. Then she returned on phone to say that in fact they would not cover it. I got upset. Also I reviewed the items on Sunbeam's website and they removed the review on the scarf!!! They clearly removed it on purpose. I hope that the heated wrap I bought for my mother continues to work as I tested it and so far it works. I never want to order from them as their return policy is terrible as is their customer service and obvious the quality of the products is terrible.

The mattress pad we purchased November 2015 makes a lot of buzzing sounds and we paid over $149 for and they want us to cover the shipping for a return for a new product. This after numerous phone calls and emails to their customer service reps. The pad gets hotter than we can handle at level 3 and then it makes sounds like a buzzing sort of sound and cannot use this for fear of it being a fire hazard. We showed it to our firemen friends and they said - "do not use it - return it".

I bought a Sunbeam microwave with a round clock on the front. When you unpacked it it had a sheet, a plastic under the clock rather than over it that was very difficult to remove. I had pieces of plastic hanging out from around the clock. I called Sunbeam to ask if the face of the clock popped off to which they urged me not to take apart the microwave and to use tools. I actually had tried to use tweezers but started scratching the metal surface. A lot of trouble for a piece of plastic. Microwave will go back to the store.

This mattress pad only worked for one year. The second season very few areas of the pad heat up. Store will not take it back and Sunbeam doesn't even answer their phone or reply to emails. So much for a five year warranty! This company is selling a poor product and why isn't the government stepping in to make them honor their warranty? Will never buy another Sunbeam product. Do not purchase this, it's expensive and will only last a year!

I bought this warming throw from Walmart for my mother last year. She passed away last July and I started using it a couple weeks ago. I noticed something that looked like someone had spilled something on it. On closer inspection, it became apparent the "spill" was in fact melted material. I then noticed that there were several areas where smaller holes had been created by the heat of the blanket. What the hell Sunbeam. This is what happens when reputable American corporations take their manufacturing to China.

KING SIZE heating blanket - This is the 3rd time I have purchased this product. Every year around the same time I get one because when winter starts I take the blanket from storage try to use it and it never heats. So every year I have to purchase a new one. Will never again!

Fleece heating blanket twin size - This is the 4th time I bought one of these blankets. Not buying anymore, they only last a few months. I thought I was doing something wrong but I bought my mom and daughter one as a gift for Christmas. The same thing, I wouldn't buy it unless you just need it temporary.

This is the 4th or 5th Sunbeam Jug Kettle with built-in obsolescence. No more electric kettles of any make. It would help if they included an extra base so when one breaks you have the other. Total piece of crap.

Sunbeam Electric Blanket - Bought the blanket at Kohl’s for $100. Loved it the first year. Second year it just wasn't heating properly. Tried different things recommended in instruction pamphlet to no avail. Finally requested an address to send back since it was under warranty. Returned in February 2015. Did EVERYTHING they told me to... Have not received refund yet despite calling numerous times. It's always 10 - 12 weeks wait, we didn't receive notice the blanket had arrived, etc. Each time I call they add more time to how long I need to wait for my money. It is maddening to deal with the employees and Sunbeam. It is time for a class action to stop them from treating consumers this way... All the while they keep our money despite warranty.

Sunbeam Company Profile