LG Dehumidifier

Compare Appliances

Research top Appliances recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Another LG victim asked why LG does not offer a 5 year warranty like other more reputable vendors. They did, about 9 years ago. They know better now. I purchased one and knowing LG is really just the old Goldstar, I kept all the paperwork just to torture them. It was a model LHD45EL. Remember them by that old name? Want a disposable TV or refrigerator for a college dorm? Throw it out after 8 months? GOLDSTAR was the vendor of choice, cheap junk expected to fail. Well, I was not surprised. That unit failed within 1 year. Authorized service vendor was on the way to work so I drop it off. Hopelessly failed, irreparable. Unit replaced with a new one. Unit 2 same story. Lasted a year. Unit 3, same story. Unit 4, same story but this time they no longer had the same model available so they replaced it with a LHD459ELT9. At the end of the line, that took me to the end of the 5 year warranty.

This last one I somehow got lucky with and has lasted 4 years so far. Just had to relay the tale as I'm now looking for a replacement bucket handle. Yes, it snapped while carrying it up from the basement. Carpeted stairs, ugly mess. Then the scam, check the price for part EAP3523978. $78!!! You CANNOT buy just the handle, you must buy the whole bucket, a $15 part priced insanely at $78. Buying one? Not happening, going to make a replacement handle out of scrap. Paying $78 for that part is idiocy. This thing gets nursed along till it dies then go to another maker. I have NOTHING else made by LG. It was cheap. Knowing their history, I knew they were not worthy of trust but they were stupid enough to offer a 5 year warranty. After burning through 5 units under warranty, I'm certain they pulled a loss having to tolerate me.:) So, unless they offer a 5 year warranty, DO NOT buy LG.

I have purchased several LG dehumidifiers and WILL NOT purchase another because they just don't last! I purchased a small unit because Home Depot was out of the larger units. I used it for a short period of time while I found a larger unit and stored it away for a rainy day when I plugged in the larger unit. The larger unit (70 Qt?) lasted 2 years and started freezing up. A feature I recall this unit was supposed to handle. I brought out the little guy until I could get to the store. It has an error code 1H which I see says "bring it in for service".

I bought an LG dehumidifier. It failed after 2 summers, so I bought another one. Yeah, I know, I was dumb to buy the second one. Well guess what, it failed after 2 summers as well. Contacted LG after the second one failed. Got the runaround for 3 weeks only to be told there was nothing they could do. Done with LG!

I purchased this item (LG Dehumidifier- Model LD451EGL) at Home Depot on 6/16/2013 and like many, I have a large basement that gets damp. On or about May 25, 2015 I noticed that the item was not collecting water even though the humidity was well above 50 as indicated by another dehumidifier that I brought in to use from another room. The other dehumidifier collected water as required. Even though subject item turns on along with condenser, it does not collect any water. One must assume there is no refrigerant. It is my intent to file a claim with my credit card company for their one year extended warranty. I do not have time for a company runaround. Warning to all buyers of LG products that their products may not be dependable!

LG LD651EBL - Looks impressive, with many features. This unit is junk after 14 months. I do not recommend this product and I am so unhappy. I am extending this to any LG product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LG TV?

Collected a quart at start of 3rd season then stopped collecting water. Contacted company and they will not do anything since past one year warranty. Frigidaire has 5 year warranty on the sealed system - why doesn't LG have same warranty?

Purchased LG dehumidifier (LD451EGL) August 2013 and the unit worked for about 18 months. Unit continued to run but stopped collecting water. Evidently the refrigerant leaked out of the unit. Emailed and discussed with representative of LG. Wanted copy of receipt which was submitted but because 12 month warranty had expired there was no assistance offered. Discussed with my appliance repair technician who informed me that cost to repair would exceed cost of new unit. No more LG products for me.

I purchased LG Model # LD651EBL in 2012 from Home Depot and paid $285.00 for it....... The compressor will not turn on so I called LG to find a service center as I have a 5 year warranty on the compressor..... They told me that they were going to send me a check for the full purchase price as they were not going to fix it. I figured that there was something drastically wrong with this model, so instead of waiting for the check, I had to purchase another dehumidifier as the house was damp..... NO CHECK ever came!! So I called LG today to see where it was, and they told me that my claim was rejected, and the customer service rep was supposed to call me to let me know this. Now they are not going to reimburse me and the nearest service center is 47 miles one way......

The supervisor informed me that they could try to find one closer and if they couldn't they would try to have it picked up and sent back to LG for repair. Also said they would extend the warranty to cover the repair. Where is the check that the representative said was being sent to me??? Now I have to pay twice for someone who was not trained correctly. And made a big mistake... I will never buy anything from LG again. A big company like that unwilling to pay a consumer a lousy $285.00 after they make millions billing consumers out of their money. SHAME ON YOU LG...

Purchased the original in 2011. Within 1.5 years the dehumidifier began to accumulate frost on the top surface. Called LG and was told to contact repair person.... but then they agreed to send a replacement. Same thing occurred in a year or so. This time they directed me to a repair shop but when I called the shop they refused to have me bring the dehumidifier saying that LG does not pay and so I lugged the product miles from my home to find out that I would be required to pay for repairs - unless the issue was a defective compressor.

I called LG after lugging the product back home. They replaced the unit with a reconditioned unit... Now 1 year 7 months later the same problem - and LG Executive Services is unwilling to replace the product saying "all things are man-made and have flaws" - call an authorized repair. I've read repeatedly that the life-expectancy of a humidifier is about 3-5 years. Not so with LG.

Worked for a couple of seasons which from the comments appears to be far greater than usual. Then it died with an error message not in the book. The repair center is 30 miles away. Our last dehumidifier worked for 10 years when it worked. This one worked well but two seasons isn't enough for the money. Be warned.

LG Dehumidifier Model LD451EGL - I purchased the Subject dehumidifier on June 9, 2012 at a local Big Box store. It worked, as it should, during the 2012 and 2013 summer seasons for a total of 3 months per season. I use the box that the dehumidifier came in to storage it for the remaining 9 months. I took the appliance out of the box in June 2014 and, while it runs, it does not catch a single drop of moisture. I have been very faithful to the operational instructions and how I store it back in the box after the end of the summer season, so I am at a quandary as to what could have happened. Looking back at what I may have done wrong: neglecting to complete the LG Electronics Product Registration.

The thing worked for one season. After that, since it ran but didn't collect any water in the bucket, I incorrectly thought maybe the air just wasn't that humid. It made a lot of noise and ran up the electric bill but was completely useless. It was, of course, out of warranty. The repair shop is in another state and I know it will be a complete waste of time to drive up there. It would be nice if the commenters could recommend what they did as a solution.

Bought it in 9/2011. Had it replaced right away due to the awful noise it was making. I should have ran away while I still could have. Anyhow, it's now 6/2014 and it won't put out any water in the bucket. It runs up your electric bill but does nothing else! The customer service wanted us to pay $85 for a diagnostic and we only paid $174 - well hello, we might as well buy a new one and we can guarantee it won't be an LG. Run.... Very disappointing!!! Thieves!!

LG Humidifier LD301EL - We bought two of these units in June 2014. One malfunctioned from day one, and we returned it. Our mistake (beyond buying the LG products in the first place?) was not returning both of them. We used it, say a dozen or two times last summer. Since then, it has been stored properly. Plugged it in yesterday. It runs just fine, sucking energy and pretending to work but, alas, it does nothing but make noise and run up our electric bill. I contacted LG and was told that if it were still under the one year warranty, I would have to make a 40+ mile roundtrip (twice, so 85 miles or so in total) to take it to their authorized repair shop. No matter, the warranty expired 4 days ago. I recommend you run from all LG dehumidifiers.

Dehumidifier LHD659EBL - Unit was not working... "Empty Bucket" red light would not go off. Called Customer Service. They gave the names of three places to repair it. Closest one was 43 minutes away from my home. Called the company "E Pyle Co." Palmyra, PA. They stated that they only repaired the ones that were bought at their store. Unit warranty was not completely up. What kind of policy makers does LG have? This is ridiculous!!!

Bought 45 pint unit from Home Depot in May of 09. A 5 year warranty was included at no extra charge. Good thing I kept the receipt. I hooked up a drain tube to the unit and placed it near the sump in my basement and pretty much forgot about it. After about 2 years it ran constantly and never produced any more water. My basement begins to smell musty when the units die. I contacted LG and they sent me a 'refurbished' replacement. I put the previous unit in the same carton and sent it back to them postage free. In August of this year, the second unit started doing the same thing and icing up on the case.

This time LG told me to take it to a repair center. I had read some horror stories about this so I called the center and asked them to assure me that I would incur no costs which they did since I had my receipt. Within a day the repair center called me to tell me LG would again replace my unit and to come pick it up. I was told LG would contact me which they didn't. Finally I called them and they said another dehumidifier was ready to be shipped to me. After a couple weeks, nothing came so I called them again.

The attendant was pleasant, not patronizing, even though I was getting impatient. She cleared up the previous attendant's error, we emailed some paperwork and they sent me the 2nd 'refurbished' dehumidifier. I plugged this unit in and immediately the 'full bucket' light came on and the unit quit. I took the bucket out and tried the switch that indicates 'full bucket' in both positions with the same results. LG asked me to email an image of my receipt this time and tells me that they will decide to either send me a 'new' unit or a refund. Their choice, not mine.

Now I wait. Almost 3 months now without a working dehumidifier in my stinky basement. Looked on CR at their ratings and they don't seem to check for reliability. From reading other reviews of all the brands, it seems all the affordable dehumidifiers have similar or worse problems. Our Kenmore ran for 10 years before a lightning strike took out the board. Newer Kenmore’s are apparently junk now too and are included in a recall by their manufacturer in China for catching on fire. See Consumer Reports.

These LG dehumidifiers just don't last... poor components & quality control inspections I suspect. Usually, the seals on the system fail allowing refrigerant (like freon) to leak out. Now the machine runs all the time (24/7) put produces no water (complete waste of electricity). My 65 pint unit was purchased July 2012 from Home Depot and lasted only 14 months. My Home Depot has great customer service, but now I have to deal with the extended warranty people. I will not buy another LG dehumidifier again... I'll look at Lowe's or Sears this time. But be sure to read all the reviews on line first! Advice: Don't buy an LG dehumidifier. But if you do, PLEASE buy the extended warranty (you'll need it. 2-year extended warranty was about $50 extra). Note: LG Factory warranty is only for 1 year.

Purchased an LG LD651EBL Dehumidifier last year from Home Depot. After a few weeks, it quit working and flashed a code. I contacted LG who told me it was defective and to return it. They would mail me the return label. That's ludicrous given they could email it instantly! I took it back to Home Depot and they accepted it back for exchange. Hurray for Home Depot! The second one worked for a couple of months, then failed. If I reset it, it would run for 15 min., then stop again. I did this repeatedly for at least two weeks. I finally contacted LG with the failure code. The agent said it needed to be repaired. Repaired? It's like new and a second one at that! I repaired it by putting it into a dumpster. This will be my last LG product I ever purchase. If someone wants to give you an LG LD651EBL Dehumidifier, make sure they also pay you to take it since you will have to trash it after a very short period. On the bright side, it looks nice and shiny on the outside.

Broke in less than 3 months. Called LG and was told to ship it to them at my expense, and then told to take it to a repair center. First one was in a Hasidic community where non-Jew are not welcome and the guy didn't work for them anymore. Second one was 60 miles away. I drove there to get it repaired and they couldn't fix it, and a month later sent me a refurb. Less than a year later, the refurb quit. I would never buy anything LG again. I think they used to be GoldStar, enough said.

My humidifier was part of a recall. LG wanted to give me a very low prorated amount on model 580.53509300. I told them, "That was unacceptable." I was told a manager would contact me in 7-10 days, never did. I called back and was bounced from call center to call center. I was told basically too bad and that they have followed all the guidelines issued by the US Product and Safety Commission for a recall. How about standing by your product and keeping YOUR customer happy? Now I have to pay $25 to get rid of the old unit and will have only $50 to put toward a new (NON-LG/KENMORE) unit. I will never buy an LG product again EVER! Also it took them 9 months to contact me. Thanks for putting my family in danger; good thing my house didn't catch on fire like some other houses did.

I called the service center and was told to call Arc in Chesterfield, VA - no answer. I was told they would find a repair person. Then they give me Arc's # again. They killed another week and then told me they would escalate it to their product managers and they would give me an email and tell me how to conduct the exchange - no email. Then they told me to wait 3 to 5 business days; I did that - no response. LG service sucks! Before you buy an LG product, call me! I will tell the truth about their ** service!

I purchased LD450EAL dehumidifier on 07-24-10 at Home Depot. It stopped working with error code "01" within 22 months. I will NEVER purchase an LG appliance again.

I purchased a 65-pint dehumidifier Model # LHD659EBL with a five-year parts and labor warranty on 11/27/09. It lasted until May 2011 and had to be swapped due to no dehumidification. The swapped unit is now broken, as it also lost freon and is no longer working. My experience has been that the LG dehumidifier unit is a piece of junk. It is interesting to note that all their units sold at Home Depot now only have a one-year parts and labor warranty.

I have had the unit only 3 years but only ran 2 summer seasons. When turning it on this summer, everything ran but the coils do not get cold. A repair tech told me it lost Freon probably through the coils and would be more expensive to repair than replace the parts. I would think it should have lasted longer than that. Model is LD650EAL purchased on 07/20/2010. It was dead on start up on 05/30/2013.

I purchased an LG dehumidifier DH504ELY7 in May 2009. It stopped working in May 2010. Luckily the retailer I purchased it from replaced it for me. By June of 2011, the new unit no longer worked. I could no longer get it repaired or replaced at no charge. Is this unit only supposed to last 1 year (and that's only using it 3 months out the year)? I still have the unit. The fan comes on but no water comes in the bucket. Also, is this one of the recalled units? Now I'll probably have to pay to have this unit disposed of. I'm not happy with this product.

I turned on the new LG dehumidifier, and it put off a very bad smell. The manual that you can't see until you get the unit home and open the box says that people should not occupy rooms when this dehumidifier is running and that it causes "bad air quality". How can any company get away with this? Exactly what is "bad air quality"? It smells like ozone, but I'm not sure. My son and I were in the basement for a few hours, and we both got headaches. I would never buy another LG product. I can only hope that they take the unit back at Home Depot.

I bought an LG dehumidifier from Home Depot in Middletown, Rhode Island on October 6, 2011. I am not sure when it stopped working since I had it running in the basement, but I tried to get it to work and it would not. I thought maybe I just was doing something wrong so I asked my plumber. He said it was broken and that I should take it back. I took it back to Home Depot and was told unless I bought it 3 months ago that they could do nothing. They also said that someone had come in the day before with the same product that was defective and she would not return theirs either. I called LG and they informed me that I could take it to Rinfret's in Middletown.

When I called them, they said they do not fix dehumidifiers under warranty. I called LG again and they said I would have to take it to Pawtucket, which is about 40 minutes away. I am very angry that I could not just return it to Home Depot, since it was defective and get another one. I would like you to replace the faulty one with a new one. When we renovated our house, the contractors informed us not to buy from Home Depot, since the manufacturers always make inferior products for that chain store. I now believe this and will not buy another product from Home Depot. They and LG are ripoffs to sell inferior products that they do not stand behind.

I bought the LG dehumidifier at Home Depot last year. I went out last week and it had stopped working. The unit said the bucket was full and would turn off immediately. I looked at my receipt and literally it was still in warranty by one day (1 year parts and labor). I took it back to Home Depot and got nowhere. They said I would have to go directly to LG and LG could direct them to give me a new unit. Not true. I called LG and they said it was a common problem and I needed a new thermostat. I asked if they could just send me a new thermostat and they said no way. I would have to take it to a repair shop 1.5 hours away. I live next to Charlotte, NC and asked "Why should I drive a total of 6 (drop off, come home, pick up, come home) hours to get a unit repaired when I live next to a large city?" They said that's the closest one?

Customer service at Home Depot and LG has been horrific. No one cares. It is obvious to me that Home Depot is selling a very cheap unit that they have to know it has immediate problems once it leaves their store and LG purposely has service locations that are near no major city so folks will not travel to get their units fixed. Worst experience I have had in years.

I purchased an LG 50 pint dehumidifier model DH504ELY7 in June 2008. The cost was $175. It worked fine for 4 years. When I turned it on this year, it does not extract any moisture from the air. I called LG customer service and they gave me the name of a local repair company. I called them and they said it was out of warranty, with the warranty being one year on parts and labor. I mentioned there was a 5-year warranty on the compressor and I could not hear the compressor going on while the unit was running. The service technician replied that the warranty was for the part only and did not include labor, which would be $200.

It would make no sense to fix my unit because I can buy a new one for less money. I am not happy with LG. I will never buy any of their products again. After reading all these poor reviews for LG dehumidifiers, I have to feel lucky (ha!) that mine ran for 4 years and did not catch fire. Bottom line is do not buy any LG products. They're junk and will not last.

I purchased the LG dehumidifier in March of 2011. It quit working in May of 2012. It kept saying the bucket was full. I contacted the company and they told me to reboot the sensor. This did not work, so they gave me a service provider in my area. When I called the service department and explained what was happening, he began to inform me that it was a communication problem between the electronic circuit board and the bucket sensor. He also stated that this is a recurring problem with the LG450EAL model and it is cheaper to buy a new one than to repair it. If the company knows this is a problem (and they should since I am sure service reports are sent to them), then why was this model not recalled?! The economy is bad and I cannot afford to buy a new dehumidifier. LG: “life's good.” But for who? Not the consumer. Needless to say, I do not have a dehumidifier in my basement right now. I will probably not purchase another LG product.

LG Dehumidifier Company Profile