Find an Appliances partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Amana Appliances Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amana Appliances?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amana Appliances?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

Works exactly like an oven should. No problems so far. Has good features and we use it every single day. Easy to clean and easy to use. Doesn't take forever to heat up and maintains heat as it should. The stovetop is also easy to clean and heats up very quickly even though it is electric.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

The Amana is an 18.5 cu.ft refrigerator. It's a year old and works well. I bought it for two reasons: a) a Bottom freezer and the height being less than 65 inches to fit under cupboards. It works well so far. Not noisy to disturb one's concentration. This would be my third fridge in 43 years. I'm not hard on them.

Get buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

I like it and it works fine so far. I wish it did not have a push button on it, instead just pull, as I worry the push button will break, they are prone to, as opposed to pull doors on microwaves. It seems to work well, was easy to install and overall we are pleased with it.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

What I like best is the way the inside is organized. The door have various sized compartments and hold a lot of smaller items as well as tall items. I have a freezer on the bottom and it is much bigger than my former standard fridge. The pull out drawer makes things easy to find. The only problem I have is that food easily slips behind the shelves and falls below the shelves.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

We bought our Amana side by side in 1980 when we moved to our new house. I believe it is a 24.5 cubic feet. Durability...it is still working excellently and that's a sign of quality. That's 30 years and still kicking. We never had any repair on it nor have any problem with the cooling system. The only one that gave up was the drinking water line after 15 years of drinking service to my family. Service that I have done was annually clean and vacuum the accumulated dust at the bottom of the refrigerator including clean the drain pan. That's it. If I need to replace this old workhorse in my kitchen I'll purchase another Amana refrigerator. I shared our experience with our friends around and some of them bought this brand.

Original review: May 7, 2021

Purchased a stand up freezer in fall of 2019, manufactured date on back is June 2019! 4 months after the 1 year warranty date has passed, I've already replaced the heater coil at a cost of 200.00. For the past 6 months I've had to empty and defrost the coils at least 5 times! After replacing the coil (which was checked for continuity and failed), I still have issues! So who knows how many other parts are needed to fix the issue. Amana has basically said, "Too bad, you're on your own," after condescendingly "explaining" how to care for my freezer!! It's only the second freezer I've ever owned, the last one having served me well for more than 15 years, but that wasn't a garbage Amana product!!

Original review: April 26, 2021

I bought a washing machine from Amana in November and my first service call was in December. They came 3 times and haven't fixed it yet and it's April 26 and I'm waiting for another service call. Why do I have to suffer. I bought a new machine and it hasn't worked. They don't care at all.

Original review: April 2, 2021

I am having Amana gas oven serviced for the second time in a little over 2 years since purchase. The first time the ignitor had to be replaced. I am having the same issue but have to pay $200 to repair because first ignitor was replaced over a year ago. Do not buy this garbage appliance!!!

Original review: March 30, 2021

Warning. This fridge stopped working after 2.5 years with no warranty after 1 year and thrown out. Before this past weekend, I would have rated this appliance high. We bought this fridge for my mother-in-law who is in her mid 90's. It was the perfect size and worked well without any issues whatsoever....until it just stopped working without notice of any kind suggesting there was a problem.

We called for warranty and was directed to Whirlpool for service. Apparently model # ART318FFDW wears numerous different brands including Amana, Maytag, Kenmore, IKEA and more. They advised the appliance only came with a 1-year warranty. So we called an independent service guy to service it only to be told that this is a common problem with this model and it would cost over $700 to repair it (they retail in Canada between $7-800 new), advising it was not worth repairing because there was a risk of it occurring again.

He provided a report (see photo for screen shot) and suggested we call the manufacturer back as they will be aware of this problem and there may even be a recall. We did just that and they denied any knowledge of problems with this model and there were no recalls issued. And because we did not buy the additional warranty, there was no recourse. I could appreciate having to pay to fix our fridge, since there was no additional warranty, but I was certainly not expecting a 2.5 year old fridge to be unfixable. That the parts would cost as much as replacing the fridge is unacceptable.

To make matters worse, Whirlpool offered us an apology with a loyalty REBATE of 15% if we purchased a replacement of any model within the Whirlpool brands, even off a discounted price. Though we were not going to purchase the same model, we thought this was at least some form of recourse and reluctantly purchased another fridge. When I filed for the claim with the code they emailed me, the code was rejected saying "Code was already redeemed". I had just got the code a day earlier as this was an emergency replacement purchase, and the code was not working. I reached out to Whirlpool by replying to their email which was a no response email address. I then sent a message through their contact form and many days later still no response. If I don't receive one by the end of the week I'm going through the pain of returning it and replacing it with a different brand.

Long story short, I don't recommend this model nor do I recommend the Whirlpool brand because of the poor response to a lemon of a purchase.

Original review: March 26, 2021

I purchased a brand new Amana 3.5 Cu. Ft. Top Load Washer with Dual Action Agitator (model NTW4516FW2) in July 2018 from Home Depot. The product has completely stopped working after just over 2.5 years of normal usage in a small household of 2 people. According to the repair representative, the controller has stopped working and needs to be replaced at a cost of more than $500 which would be more than the price paid. The product lasted less than a quarter of the "expected" lifespan of 12 years. A call to the company that owns Amana (Whirlpool) provided no reprieve such as a discount on a replacement purchase or credit towards other Whirlpool products.

Amana Appliances author review by Jonathan Trout

Amana has been making affordable appliances for cooking, cleaning, heating and cooling for over 80 years. Their line of freezers includes upright or wide designs that range in price from $229 to $649. Capacities range from 5.3 cubic feet to 16 cubic feet.

• Compact chest freezers: Compact chest freezers range in size from 5.3 to 9.0 cubic feet. You can choose from features like rollers for easy movement or multiple baskets for different storage solutions. Prices for compact chest freezers are $269 to $349.

• Chest freezers: Amana’s standard chest freezer is 15 cubic feet and comes with two baskets for easy-access storage. The standard chest freezer costs $549 and comes with a 1-year limited warranty on parts and labor.

• Upright freezers: Amana’s upright freezer has a 16 cubic foot capacity and comes with energy-saving insulation. Its system prevents ice build up, eliminating the need to defrost the freezer. The upright freezer costs $649.

• DeepFreeze Technology: Amana’s DeepFreeze Technology cools the freezer down to negative 8 degrees.

• Fast Freeze Option: Some Amana freezers let you chill large amounts of food quickly. The Fast Freeze Option lets you drive your freezer’s temperature down 10 degrees colder than the lowest setting with the push of a button.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team