2.40/5
Based on 32 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

475 Amana Appliances Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

The organization I represent purchased 224 Amana/Goodman PTAC units in 2013, we have had nothing but issue after issue with this product since installation. Blown fuses, wiring issues, incorrect fuse holders, etc... Now there is a product recall on 160 of the units, we submitted the application and Amana sent us the parts to perform the upgrade ourselves. When I called the phone number provided for the recall they tell me to contact Amana in regard to the labor. When I contact Amana they tell me apply online. I would not recommend purchasing any product from this organization.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Purchased a Washer and Dryer from the NEX online back May. The dryer had issues of turning itself off. It would stay on unless someone opened the door or turned it off. I thought it was the times and purchase another one for $83. Now the dryer has stopped working all together, no wonder this brand has cheap prices. BEWARE. Do NOT purchase Amana products!

Get expert buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Our Kenmore Elite (made by Whirlpool) upright freezer died after 5 years. To me that's a short lifespan. We purchased a new Amana upright freezer (also made by Whirlpool) to replace it February 18, 2018 and today (June 11, 2018) now refuses to freeze anything. It runs constantly but will not freeze even though it's set to "deep freeze". Called for a repair which is coming tomorrow so I'll see how this plays out. Probably a nightmare. In addition and while dealing with the freezer our Whirlpool refrigerator has now also died at 9 years. Again doesn't this seem a bit short? The Consumer Reports and others say 10 to 15 years is normal... so honestly is Whirlpool now building junk?

Updated on 07/12/2018: I wrote an initial review on June 11 about my experience with Whirlpool. This is an update: I just want you to know how completely disenchanted I am with Whirlpool products. We purchased a Kenmore Elite freezer (made by Whirlpool) approx. 5 years ago and it died prematurely last February. Then in February we replaced it with an Amana freezer (also made by Whirlpool) and it too has died now after 4 months. THE REPAIRMAN CAME TODAY AND HE CAN'T FIX IT. In addition our Kenmore Elite refrigerator (made by Whirlpool) has also died prematurely two days ago and it also can’t be fixed.

So right now we have no freezer and no fridge and it’s going to take days to figure out what the next move is... replace??? So who pays for all the food product we have lost?? I’m absolutely disgusted with Whirlpool products. In communicating with Whirlpool their attitude was lack-lustre. It goes through a process that takes days to complete and weeks to get a replacement if they even agree to do that. In the meantime we have lost hundreds of dollars in food and no-one cares. Never again will I buy Whirlpool.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Bought this on 5/1/2018, was delivered 5/8/2018. Called service because of how wet things were and dishwasher walls were extremely wet. First repairman said there was nothing wrong. Called the company and they sent a different repairman who found that it needed a new control panel, that the heater was not coming on. That was replaced on 5/24/2018 and I am still having issues with wet dishes and very wet walls when the cycle is done. I have had other dishwashers and none of them were wet when done. I think I got a lemon and have been trying to get the company to give me a replacement, even if I have to spend a bit more money. I am disgusted with the performance of this Amana product and would never recommend it to anyone.

Updated on 06/15/2018: So disgusted with my new Amana dishwasher. After calling and having repairmen out 4 times I was told nothing more can be done. The is fact that my dishes and silverware have to hand dried after the cycle is done and the interior of the dishwasher is very wet. The last repairman told me it's because of the thin plastic that is used and the heat is not as high is the problem. He said that after it is used for a while the walls will become seasoned. What a bunch of crap. My old dishwasher had a plastic interior and I never had to dry anything. I am so sorry I bought this dishwasher. I will never recommend Amana to anyone. I would like to dump this piece of junk on your doorstep. I have sent other emails on my problem to which I never got a response. Ignore me and I still will not go away.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I purchased an Amana Washer on 2/13/2015 from a dealer in appliances here in Oldsmar, FL. I bought this Washer and Dryer due to the fact these items were Made in America. The paint on inside of the top lid of the washer is chipping off, peeling off, etc. and some of these flakes of paint drop into the washer on my clothes and only will only get worse with time. I called Amana and since I did not like what the sales rep said I asked for a supervisor which stated to me that he could not help me to replace the top piece of the washer. He could only send me a bottle of touch up paint. This guy also needs to send me a large brush with a quart of paint! This washer is only a little over 3 years old and should not be peeling like it is. Not like a bunch of people use this washer as it is being used by 2 adults. No abuse or rough treatment on this appliance. Lousy paint job!

Where was the inspector for the painting of this washer? Not doing his job most likely because if he had done a half-way decent inspection he would have noticed the bad paint job. The sample bottle would not cover the areas without paint. I cannot believe that this was made in America as some 3rd world country would do a much better paint job. Dryer is OK but washer a mess. I will never buy a Made in America washer or dryer again. The foreign appliances will be on my list to purchase from now on especially since these manufacturers in the US make these defective items and charge you many dollars for junk. Never will recommend Amana to anyone for anything as they do not stand behind their work.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amana Appliances?

Original review: May 31, 2018

Washer and dryer were in the house when I purchased the house and they were new. But I have 2 issues with the washer. It does not have a liquid fabric softener dispenser and the bleach dispenser has spotted some of my dark clothing. The washer washes small to extra large loads also delicate. But it appears not to empty fully so I no longer use it. On the other hand, the dryer works well and has many selections for air to time setting to auto dry.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Two Amana heat pumps here; one has had ongoing problems. When the dealer ordered a replacement part (circuit board), the wrong version was shipped from the warehouse. Trying to get this problem solved ASAP, I contacted Amana via their FB page and asked them to expedite the shipment of the new board. They told me that they don't provide CS for this product, that I should contact the actual manufacturer, Goodman. I was already aware the Goodman was the manufacturer, but have never before heard of a company selling a product under their logo that does not provide at least front-line customer support for it. What possible meaning can the Amana brand have in this case, and why on earth would I ever buy another product from them?

Original review: May 15, 2018

I have a Amana dishwasher in my rental house and it stopped circulating water at about a year and half - I tried to get some type of concession from Amana for parts and labor going through their service outlet. The answer was a complete "NO" due to the fact that it was out of warranty. This dishwasher just stopped circulating water one day and didn't get the dishes clean due no water spraying on the dishes. I personally went underneath the dishwasher and gently tapped the circulation pump and it began to work. My years of experiences in the automotive field tells me that this is a manufacture defect with their motors where the manufactured motor has a flat spot in the rotor that will stop in a certain location and stop working at times.

This failure was produced at the manufacturer and if I am right they too know that it is their responsibility to take care of the defect but the almighty profit or dollar cost is more important than customer service of honesty. To this I say I hope Amana goes out of business because I think it won't be too long that it will go out of business due to the fact that they are already under Whirlpool. I learned my lesson - if the product is cheaper than everyone else what can you expect? It sure wouldn't be your money's worth, not even at a year and half use.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I bought a new Amana washing machine seven months ago. I was doing laundry then went about my business, when I returned my laundry room floor was flooded with about eight inches of water. I hurried and grabbed a pot and after about a hundred trips from that room to the toilet, I finally had the water down enough to let my dehumidifier do the rest. I have issues with my arm and that being said I have been in much pain since. It was still under warranty so I had it fixed. I was only told a button went out. I would not recommend this product to anyone. Poor quality.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I have an Amana refrigerator that is less than 1 year old. It makes a very loud "chattering" noise. I have been trying to get it serviced since Jan 31. There is no certified service in Clatsop County. After 3 months of phone calls with Amana They told me to find my own. I finally called Sears and a tech came out. Now I have to pay all the costs and wait to be reimbursed. Horrible customer service.

Original review: April 15, 2018

DW doesn’t drain. Now two yrs old. I purchased for a renovated kitchen in a tenant’s apartment. When I contacted Amana after 14 months because It wasn’t draining, it was off warranty and they wouldn’t help me. We have had 3 service calls and replaced 3 parts for same problem: still not fixed. I could have bought a Bosch with the repair and part money alone. I am trashing this piece of garbage and warn everyone NOT TO BUY ANY WHIRLPOOL PRODUCT INCLUDING JENN AIR... They do not stand behind any of their products and the workmanship is beyond shoddy!

Original review: April 6, 2018

I just recently purchased an Amana Top Load washer and so far am happy with it which is why I am writing this review. People generally only write reviews when they do not like a product or service and it's misleading when you only read a few negative reviews. A lot of people complain about the controls but didn't you look at these things at store before your purchase? Obviously not and now want to complain?

Original review: April 2, 2018

I have enjoyed the washer and dryer for the 8 years I have had them. The part that I am very unhappy with is the cost of the parts to fix the problems I have had; heating element that cheapest was one appliance store for $75 (rest online and other store was over $100), worked two times drying clothes then stopped working with going around. Told probably the belt, but again no belts around and had to be ordered, and also told from all appliance stores that old being $56 is higher than other dryers. The belt was not needed so not opened so will be seeing if I can have my money back for it. Told it's either the door switch, that would be $25.99, or the board that would cost $200.80. Again, I enjoyed the way it was, but the cost to fix the problems is higher than buying a new one. Very unhappy to spend so much time and so much money along with being told having to order parts shows it is happening quite a lot from owners; annoying and unhappy.

Original review: March 5, 2018

One they do not stand behind their products. I have been delivered an Amana washer that the sensing device does not work in it. Did not even agitate to wash the clothes and it is actually had to be turned off and turn back on to get the water out to get my clothes out. I called the company and they do not stand behind their products at all and they don't care that it will be another 4 weeks before I get another washer and I certainly will never want another Amana washer.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I purchased an Amana Side by Side (24.9 cubic inch) in March 2017... In Dec., I noticed 2 visible cracks on both sides of the shut where ice falls to be dispensed from the freezer to outside. Also the cheap plastic on shelves & drawers has cracked. My husband & I are both in our 60's & are not rough on our appliances. The refrigerator gets opened maybe 4 times a day. A repairman came out to look & stated we were under warranty, however WHIRLPOOL refuses to fix the inside of freezer door... said it's cosmetic. NO, IT'S NOT. Even the repairman said it was defective from the factory & will continue to only get worse. WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER THING FROM THEM.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Purchased a microwave on 11/28. Had it installed on 11/29. Does not work. They would not replace. I was told I had to go through their process to order parts. Today is 12/21. Service guy came out and cannot fix. Now I have to wait for their process again for them to replace. This is terrible. Christmas is in 4 days and I'll have been a month without a microwave.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I have to wait till the washer finishes to add fabric softener. So that means I use more water, and that means my bill goes up!! If I try to pause it, it stops and I have to start all over again!! That washer SUCKS!!!! And the handle on the dryer is broken!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I have had my refrig for 16 years and never had it fixed. Sometimes I don't wash the outside as often as I should but when I do it comes clean. First time no rewash. Love love love.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

My Amana side by side had continual problems with the gaskets wearing out, cracking, and failing. I had to replace them 3 times in 18 years. The ice maker never really worked successfully. Would have replaced it with a bottom freezer if I had the $$.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Great refrigerator, we have not had one problem in the eight years that we have owned our Amana side by side. The exterior has held up great especially with a move from Oklahoma back to Texas. I would definitely buy another Amana.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I used to work for Raytheon and have used Amana products for years with great success... Last Amana fridge was bought in 1995... had to replace this year so I now have a new Amana fridge and I only use Amana microwaves. Same good quality.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Bought Amana more than 18 yrs ago; moved once, never any problem. It is a huge model, bottom freezer. Brand no longer top tier but a better comparison to today's pricy, less dependable choices. Worth checking out.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

This refrigerator has been really a good one since 1993. The only complaint is that now it is falling apart. The door handle has broken apart as have some of the cabinetry inside.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Our Amana side by side is now 10 years old without a single breakdown. Keeps food and drink at the proper temperature and has plenty of room and is well laid out. Shopping often we don't tend to stuff the frig. The stainless exterior requires a bit more cleaning to keep it looking great.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

This was a counter depth side by side refrigerator and had lots of room, water and ice in the door. Glass adjustable shelves with lots of built in special compartments too. During the 23 years I had it the only thing I had to do was change out the ice maker tray. Very well made. It is still working today in someone else's kitchen.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Ice maker has had to be repaired twice. Now we just don't use it. Food keeps falling down behind shelves in the gap behind the shelves. Door does not stay open wide enough.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Amana has more than met my expectation, in function and in appearance. I have enjoyed the bottom freezer. The only exception is the quality of the handle, broke within two years.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Bought this refrigerator when we moved into our new home in 1988! It's still working very well and has caused us no trouble over the years. I don't think today's refrigerators can match this one as far as service is concerned.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

When we had purchased our house almost 2 years ago there was a fairly new and barely used Amana range. I use it all the time and never had any issues at all, also like the idea that it is self cleaning even though I hadn't used that feature as of yet but plan on it very soon.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I bought it May 26 2017. l have a lot of trouble with it. They came and put a new part in on 28th of Aug 2017 because it was freezing everything. They said that should do it. Now 2 weeks later the same thing freezing everything again. Been trying to get them to take it back. They just keep passing me to someone else. So if you are looking to purchase a fridge don't buy a Amana. They are garbage and here is the model number ART316TFDW01 so think before you buy this fridge. l bought mine at the brick and they not helping me. l'm still trying to get it replaced. It been 3weeks now and nothing is being done by the company. They just keep passing it on.

Amana Appliances expert review by Jonathan Trout

Amana has been making affordable appliances for cooking, cleaning, heating and cooling for over 80 years. Their line of freezers includes upright or wide designs that range in price from $229 to $649. Capacities range from 5.3 cubic feet to 16 cubic feet.

• Compact chest freezers: Compact chest freezers range in size from 5.3 to 9.0 cubic feet. You can choose from features like rollers for easy movement or multiple baskets for different storage solutions. Prices for compact chest freezers are $269 to $349.

• Chest freezers: Amana’s standard chest freezer is 15 cubic feet and comes with two baskets for easy-access storage. The standard chest freezer costs $549 and comes with a 1-year limited warranty on parts and labor.

• Upright freezers: Amana’s upright freezer has a 16 cubic foot capacity and comes with energy-saving insulation. Its system prevents ice build up, eliminating the need to defrost the freezer. The upright freezer costs $649.

• DeepFreeze Technology: Amana’s DeepFreeze Technology cools the freezer down to negative 8 degrees.

• Fast Freeze Option: Some Amana freezers let you chill large amounts of food quickly. The Fast Freeze Option lets you drive your freezer’s temperature down 10 degrees colder than the lowest setting with the push of a button.

• Best for: consumers wanting multiple size options in a freezer.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout
Jonathan Trout

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Amana Appliances Company Information

www.amana.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business