1.68/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 4, 2017

446 Amana Appliances Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I bought it May 26 2017. l have a lot of trouble with it. They came and put a new part in on 28th of Aug 2017 because it was freezing everything. They said that should do it. Now 2 weeks later the same thing freezing everything again. Been trying to get them to take it back. They just keep passing me to someone else. So if you are looking to purchase a fridge don't buy a Amana. They are garbage and here is the model number ART316TFDW01 so think before you buy this fridge. l bought mine at the brick and they not helping me. l'm still trying to get it replaced. It been 3weeks now and nothing is being done by the company. They just keep passing it on.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I am really upset that I have to keep resetting this machine. I have lived in my house for 16 years and the washer I had before lasted years with no problems. Then I buy a Amana washer and have had to reset it so many times. It's terrible, the warranty don't last. It's costing me more to get it fixed than it costed in the store. Now I see why it was so cheap to buy. I am so pissed. I would not refer anyone to this product. I will never buy Amana products again.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

Brand new oven/range had one burner that didn't work. Called for a service call that was supposed to be sent out today and got a call an hour before they were supposed to arrive saying there was an error in the way the zip code was put in and that they don't actually service the area where I'm located. Now I'm trying to reschedule yet another service call.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

Washer machine take a long time to wash. Don't know if it rinses cause it's always in wash. Have never had a problem with any other brand but this one has been the first washer that I hate. I want my money back.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Bought an Amana Refrigerator AFI2359ERM00 Dec 2015 and it crapped out 4 months after the 1 year warranty expired. Imagine that. Glad I bought the extended warranty through Home Depot! LoL since April 2017 my fridge has quit working 5 times and totally defrosted and ruined 5 fridge full of food. Fred's Appliance has been out 5 times to try to fix it and can't. It seems to break down every 3 weeks or so. Then after 2-3 days of clicking and buzzing it starts cooling again. Well the quickest they can get out is 4 days and by then it's up and running and the tech says well I pushed a few buttons and can't find anything wrong. Amana/Whirlpool has washed their hands of it because of the extended warranty I bought through HD. HD won't replace it because they claim the SAME part has to be replaced 3 times before it is considered a lemon. Been in limbo since April and it's so frustrating.

Don't waste your money on Amana. Poor quality! Even worse customer service. Same with HD. Very robotic in their responses. They are all sorry I'm having an issue, but won't take responsibility. Plus since the unit seems to break down when I'm not at home and all of the ice from the hopper melts and runs down the front of the fridge all over the floor. Now it has ruined my hardwood floor all around the unit. What a POS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amana Appliances?

Original review: July 20, 2017

I recently moved into a new apartment and the washer and dryer had already been used by the previous tenants. I used the washer with a small load on a cold cycle, and when the load was finished, my clothes were still DRY! Some of the clothes had wet spots but for the most part, my clothes looked like someone just splashed water on them. I had to redo the cycle on a larger load setting. My clothes came out FULL of someone else's lint.

The dryer. Ohhh, the dryer. I then place my linty clothes in the dryer to see if they will be removed. I do a full 60 minute cycle. I open up the dryer when it is finished and my load is warm, but still damp! After 60 minutes on hot! I have to run the dryer 4 TIMES to dry a load of laundry. Needless to say, the landlord was called and he is replacing, but God, please don't let him buy another set of Amana washer and dryer. Please!!!

Original review: July 14, 2017

I bought an Amana stove 2 years ago. It has been in service 5 times within the last year. The temperature control board keeps messing up. Called customer service. They said to reset it. Which I had to do 3 times and still couldn't finish making dinner. It was last fixed in November and it's out again. They really don't care. Told me buy extra warranty for 400$. REALLY!!! Let's just say my response was not nice. I told them since they didn't care I would let people know about my bad experience and terrible product, she hung up on me. Now I have a useless stove because it cost just as much to fix it than what I paid for it. I would never recommend this company or product to anyone.

Original review: July 6, 2017

I just had the absolute most horrendous experience with an over the phone customer service rep. My husband and I are having trouble with our AC unit, we got transferred to the portable unit section of customer service. When the man answered the phone, we gave my husband’s name, we said only the words, "We are having trouble with-", the rep cut us off (he did not state his name), he said it is a Maytag unit and he cannot help us.

It does not say Maytag anywhere on our unit, so we tried to explain which unit we have and before we could even offer up the serial or model numbers, the man began raising his voice, nearly shouting, "You don't know what you're talking, that's a Maytag unit, we don't do that, I won't help you, I won't help you!" And again the man did not give his name, he mostly just yelled at us, so we hung up the phone. I have never encountered someone so rude, so impatient and so incredibly unprofessional in all of my life. Based on this encounter, we will never be contacting Amana again, and it's pretty safe to say that we will never purchase with this company again, and highly encourage anyone we know to steer clear.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I have had a new top load HE washer now for just a few months and I regret I ever bought them. List of problems: (1) This will be the 3rd service call in just a few months. (2) NO SOFTENER DISPENSER, what rocket scientist would design a washer without a softener dispenser??? It's not like it would cost anymore to the company! You have to either stop the machine right when it’s filling up for a rinse cycle or...buy a softener ball which stains clothes and does an ineffective job at best! (3) My electric bill has not dropped one penny, do not tell me that these machines are more efficient, that's just politics, so that congress can say they are being more environmentally safe! HE (high efficiency) is not true!!!

(4) The washer does a terrible job of cleaning clothes. It does NOT agitate properly, it just winds back and forth a little and makes a weird little noise. My old washer (Kenmore) was a superior product and I wish I had never got rid of it... If you own an Amana top load, just wash your clothes in deep water, so they at least wash better. (5) This is our 3rd service call as I said in the beginning in just a few months, the first 2 service calls were with the dryer and this one is for the washer. The motherboard is bad in the head of the unit. Buyer beware, these are not old time washers that you could open up any time or adjust water levels during the operation or just open up anytime you wanted to add clothes or more soap... No... These are very sensitive electronics that have issues when the washer process is disturbed in any way!!!

(6) This is the way you have to treat these washer, pay attention... Open up lid, add soap, put clothes or whatever your washing on sticky soap. Add softener ball if you (unknowingly) bought a washer without a softening dispenser. That was us... Never buy from ad in paper, go see it, who knew washers are now made WITHOUT softener Dispensers!!! Then close lid and set settings from left to right and hit start program button. The reason I said program button (Start) is because these junk washers are now like cyborgs, part computer with junk electronic boards as electronics to control functions and operations of a washer which are just basic.

After you do that, do NOT disturb in any way! Otherwise YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS AND REGRET YOU EVER BOUGHT THIS PIECE OF JUNK. Resetting only works so many times when it does have problems. I bought this from a local vendor through a sale paper ad. The vendor is not the problem, this is a Amana Corporate issue. Shame on you Amana, I will never buy a Amana product again... Trying to reinvent the wheel?

Original review: June 17, 2017

I just bought a Amana top loader washer a few weeks. So far it is doing a great job. Two years ago I spent over $2000.00 on a Maytag Bravos washer and dryer. After two years the washer started to sound like a jetliner taking off. I called Maytag and it would cost over $400.00 to repair. I did a lot of research on this and found that most the washer do this. I think Maytag should do a recall on them due to a default in the design of the washer. Until then I will stick with the Amana which is made by the same company. How funny.

Original review: June 15, 2017

When there were manual controls, you could set a machine to do what you want and leave, knowing the wash cycle that you selected, regardless of your reasons, would do what you asked and come back knowing it was done. With the electronic controls, I must fight with the stupid machine to get it to rinse or spin as needed, fill as required, or whatever (wash really dirty gardening clothes well or wash hockey equipment). The automatic settings get it wrong regularly. Very frustrating.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I purchased an Amana Side by Side refrigerator in November 2017 and the freezer quit working after 4 months. Service Technician came out to repair and said that the workmanship involved at the factory was awful and he had to replace coils/condensing unit. Needless to say the next day the refrigerator and the freezer quit working. Another service company came out a week later and said that the first company did very poor work and they were to blame for the new problem. Needless to say they had to take refrigerator to their shop to break it totally down to find out all that is wrong.

Called Amana customer service to request a brand new refrigerator only to be told NO! Without a refrigerator for three weeks and counting! Is this acceptable? Ask Amana and they will say yes! NEVER BUY AN AMANA unless this is what you want. Thanks AMANA. I hope your business survives because with this type of service I know my company would not last very long and I do not think yours will either.

Original review: May 11, 2017

I bought a washer and dryer in Irwin at Rosendahl's. The first time I used it, it would not work on rinse. The motor would just hum. Called where I bought. Said out of his hands to call Amana. I did. They blamed it on water pressure which I thought was bs. Then I filled up with water with bucket. Then it still would not work on rinse. Called them again. They said they replaced some parts. Took 20 min and they're gone. They never checked at any time when they said it was fixed. They never ran a cycle ever. I said if it works on wash there's something wrong. They just bide time till warranty runs out.

Now I'm on a fixed income. It took me 2 and a half years to save for the pair. I'm just disgusted at the way I was treated and they don't care they got their money. I tried to add the water for rinse. It just drains out but I have always had to add water to wash because the clothes were always dry on the top. My clothes come out with detergent on then after it's done because it never ever has rinsed. DO NOT BUY AMANA ESPECIALLY ONE WITH NO WATER SETTING ENERGY EFFICIENT ONES. THEY DO NOT WORK. I'm stuck with it. I live in a trailer which is small and I go to Laundromat. Dryer works great again. DO NOT buy.

Original review: May 9, 2017

Amana Washer NTW4516F - If I could give Zero or negative I would. This is the MOST awful service I have ever had anywhere, and I am 65 years old and have lived on 3 continents and 4 countries. Awful washer, awful service. The washer blew up with electric sparks all over the place after 3 weeks - could've electrocuted the lady of the house! Now we are coming up on 4 weeks later and the repair is STILL NOT COMPLETE. I get a lot of sympathy but no action. The local service company never did respond to any follow up, or messages left on their god-awful phone system, and now we have to wait another week to get a second service company in there. Amana never offered to compensate for having to go to the laundromat for a month, or replace their crummy machine.

Original review: May 7, 2017

MOD:NTW4605EW0 Type: 587-20 - This product is the worst I have ever used. My Husband and I are in our late 50 on a fixed income and recent stem cell survivor. We had to save for this for months to buy this washer. Now knowing it would not have been the top of the line, you still have a reasonable expectation that your laundry will be cleaned. That's not the case with this washer. I have taken items out of the washer that never hit water, and still soiled. You can't make any adjustment to the water level, the agitator is very ineffective and sound as the whole thing is a strain to do a basic task.

I have bought Amana in the past and had no regrets until now. That is unacceptable for misleading the public that this is a washer. It truly just an oversize hamper. If this sounds like I am not happy with this product. Then sorry to say YES I AM NOT HAPPY WITH THIS PRODUCT! When you pay $250-$300 you expect it to at the very least to clean your laundry!

Original review: April 25, 2017

We bought an Amana Top Loading Washer (NTW4605EW0) on July 22, 2016 to replace a front load Whirlpool Washer that had it's control module go up. Big mistake! 9 months and 2 days later... what do you know same issue that we were having with the Whirlpool! The washer would not drain. Turned it off and unplugged it. Now it won't power back on and drain. I had to hand drain the washer as far as I could get it and pull all my soaking wet clothes out to finish hand washing them! I am beyond frustrated with all Whirlpool Corporation's various holdings' (Amana, Maytag, Whirlpool, and many more) washers. Never again will I buy any washer made by a single company owned by Whirlpool!

Original review: April 17, 2017

I just have to write a review on our 25 year old Amana refrigerator. In all these years we have never had to have any repairs done and it works awesome! We had to put this refrigerator in the basement 20 years ago because did not match our upstairs appliances but we still kept it in use. 5 1/2 years ago we purchased and Frigidaire and have had problems since day one. After having to completely shutting down our newer fridge 4 time and thawing it because the water line kept freezing up causing the ice maker not to work, we rehooked up our ice maker on the Amana and it works like a charm. I would buy an Amana over Frigidaire any day!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

This was a dishwasher put in by the Seller of a home I was purchasing. I am a single senior who runs a dishwasher maybe every 10 days I would say. After just 2 years, the spray arm quit spraying water. This model only has one spray arm on the bottom. Research tells me it's one of two things, pump or motor I think, and either way, I might as well buy a new dishwasher. This to me is totally unacceptable that an appliance would break down in such a short period of time. Do not recommend for this reason. When it worked, it did a fine job on the dishes. But I'm a scraper and rinser and never put in pots and pans etc. I just can't recommend throwing $300 down the drain.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I bought the set at Menards April 2016. The washer is absolutely awful. It never gets the clothes clean, never! It never has enough water in it no matter what setting I have it on no matter how big or small the load. You can't leave the lid open for a pre soak or it resets itself. I've tried all the recommended steps Amana added to the instructions. I'm so disappointed. I will never buy an Amana or Maytag product again. Yesterday I went to take clothes out of the dryer and I haven't had an issue with the dryer until I pulled the door open and the handle on the dryer broke.

I felt when I was making this purchase that Amana was a trusted brand. So I didn't listen to my feelings and I bought this product anyway. Money don't come easy for me so I'm stuck using this monster that don't get whites, white and won't fill with water according to my load. All the complaints on this website are true. I wished I had of looked first. Don't buy this set people. Model # NTW4605EW0. You'll be wasting your money and frustrated like my family. You'll know us by the dingy whites.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

When I bought the stove I thought I would try the glass top (can't remember what they are called). I was never told that I could not can (preserves) on this stove. I only had the stove for less than a month when I asked if I could bring it back for this reason that I can't put weight like a canner on top of this stove. The store where I purchased said "NO". Well, ok what do ya do? When I turned the self cleaning cycle on it took a long time and when it was finished it left big brown spots on top of the oven door, like it had gotten too hot and burned it. And you can see it when door is closed.

The double glass window on the oven door broke the seal and moisture and stains are in between glass. Can't clean it. Unless you take the door off and take it apart it. The oven light only lasted about 3 months. It won't work at all. Overall I hate this stove, I thought it would be easy to clean on the top, that too is a job. I paid quite a bit of money for this stove. The sales people need to inform you how this stove functions. I would have bought a different stove from them if they would have told me.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

It was recommended by friend and I just made the purchase today. The appearance is shining and it seems to have a bright luster finish. The inside seems to be easy to clean because there are few places that can collect and hold dirt.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

The washer and dryer are a nice size, nice colors. However not a whole lot detail on the door locks which is nice but afraid to open it if I need to add softener. Also I would like it to be a little more quietly.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

The washer has a very large capacity and is pretty basic, but does the job. I don't need all the options. It fill based on sensing the size of the load so I don't have to guess. It has basic look, but so far has performed very well. I like that it is American made.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

The Amana gas range was installed new in late 2013. The stovetop flames do not have enough adjustment, either the flame is too high or too low, there's hardly any just right flame settings. We already had to replace the igniter for the oven. That detent position for the oven door where you can leave it cracked open a little and failed within a month or so. I would certainly never buy another one.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

I haven't even had this Amana washer one year. It quit working. I guess when you buy a product that is lower priced than the rest you think it'll be short lived, but 1 year! Doesn't start, nothing. Piece of crap. It never got the clothes as clean as other machines I've had. Never again Amana! I bought it a Menards in Minnesota.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

We have used this microwave oven for more than 14 years and still works. It is not very powerful like the new models, but it does the job for us. It is very easy to operate and clean. It is big enough but very heavy.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

The previous Kenmore was only 2 years old and died. Amana ref was built by the same company with some weird sounds but it seems to be doing the job. It also shows no marks on exterior and it's a good size for the space with good layout.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

While I know Amana is a cheap dryer it is what I could afford (for my rental home) and I thought well it should last at least 5 years. HA HA HA jokes on me. It stopped heating up 1 year to the exact date it was purchased. I will try to fix the heating element one time. If not l will buy something else and won't buy ANYTHING else Amana.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

I just purchased Amana Dishwasher Model # ADB1700ADS through HD online. As noted by another reviewer, this model has a serious engineering flaw. It does not have an exterior handle attached to the body of the door. The model has been designed so that you are forced to pull on the underside of the black plastic control panel. You can see the panel flex outward (more than .25 inches) under the pressure needed to open the door. I tried opening the door by pulling on the outer door corners and from the top edge without success. There is absolutely no question the plastic control panel will break due to material fatigue - and it will break either fast or slow depending on how often you pull on it and how hard you pull. I recommend you buy your own stainless steel door handle from any appliance parts store and install it yourself. It will cost you about $30.

Amana may have saved themselves $10 (for this same part) but they will take a ding to their reputation and have a lot of unhappy customers in the future. If Amana took into consideration that in buying a dishwasher, it is not just the cost of the dishwasher for the buyer - it is also the cost of time lost from work waiting for an install that never happens within the time frame given, install fees, taxes, delivery and haul away fees. There is a lot of time, effort, and money involved in buying a dishwasher. So much so, that the buyer would not blink to pay that $10 with an upcharge to prevent the destruction of the control panel of a daily use item they don't want to have to repair or replace for years to come.

As others have noted, this particular failure will not be covered under the manufacturer's warranty. Otherwise, the dishwasher is noted to work properly, is better suited for a smaller family, holds fewer dishes than others of the same size, has a very long cycle, and is hoped to be of similar quality to that Amana has been noted for in the past -- with the exception of this one very serious defect. We don't really know about the quality, because it has not been out long enough to have proven itself. I would have given the dishwasher a 2.5, a 2 is too low and a 3 is too high, considering the time, effort and expense I have put into purchasing it, the day lost for install, and finding and installing a handle to safeguard the most expensive component to repair - the control panel. Once the control panel goes, it will be cheaper to buy another dishwasher than to repair it, IMO.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

Amana Gas Range AGR5630BDS - We purchased this range from Home Depot and took delivery in Dec 2014. In October 2016 the oven began to shut down after about 30 minutes cooking time and an F2 code showed in the display. We've had the service tech here 3 times. An oven temp sensor was replaced but the problem was not solved. We then replaced the top ECR module and still the problem exists. Now however when the oven shuts down there is a spewing of natural gas and we have to manually shut the oven off and throw open a window. We are stuck with a stove that won't work and is unsafe, and we are out of about $300 over the price of the stove. We cannot sell it and are hard pressed to afford a new stove. We called Amana and they had a "so what" attitude. I know that we will never buy any Amana/Whirlpool product again.

Amana Appliances expert review by Jonathan Trout

Amana has been making affordable appliances for cooking, cleaning, heating and cooling for over 80 years. Their line of freezers includes upright or wide designs that range in price from $229 to $649. Capacities range from 5.3 cubic feet to 16 cubic feet.

• Compact chest freezers: Compact chest freezers range in size from 5.3 to 9.0 cubic feet. You can choose from features like rollers for easy movement or multiple baskets for different storage solutions. Prices for compact chest freezers are $269 to $349.

• Chest freezers: Amana’s standard chest freezer is 15 cubic feet and comes with two baskets for easy-access storage. The standard chest freezer costs $549 and comes with a 1-year limited warranty on parts and labor.

• Upright freezers: Amana’s upright freezer has a 16 cubic foot capacity and comes with energy-saving insulation. Its system prevents ice build up, eliminating the need to defrost the freezer. The upright freezer costs $649.

• DeepFreeze Technology: Amana’s DeepFreeze Technology cools the freezer down to negative 8 degrees.

• Fast Freeze Option: Some Amana freezers let you chill large amounts of food quickly. The Fast Freeze Option lets you drive your freezer’s temperature down 10 degrees colder than the lowest setting with the push of a button.

• Best for: consumers wanting multiple size options in a freezer.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout