4.0/5 (669 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

Amana Appliances Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amana Appliances?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amana Appliances?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

I had an older HVAC Heat Pump System that was malfunctioning. A repair tech told me it would be over $2K to repair and sold me on a brand new Amana system for nearly $9K. It included all new exterior and interior units. I was told a "peace of mind" to have a warranty for 10 years. I had this unit installed in January of 2019. Now, in August of 2022, I come home from vacation with a 100 degree house and a unit that won't power on. The tech came and said the coil failed and the unit leaked all coolant. The coil itself is covered under warranty, however over $900 to install. The coolant which leaked caused by the faulty coil is also not covered and cost over $1,300 to re-fill. The tech said "We would normally recommend a new system, but yours is basically brand new." I called AMANA customer service to see if there is anything they could do and they said no. I highly suggest another brand!!!

Original review: July 31, 2022

I owned it less than 6 months and constant problems and now does not work at all. Motor is defective. I paid a lot of money for this piece of **! Did not dry, in beginning and rinse aid compartment doesn't work and now motor does not work. Horrible!!!

Get buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 15, 2022

Purchased new Amana Freezer AZF33X16DW08 in Jan. 2022. Compressor failed within 5 months. Took 1 week for a service tech to come and tell me the problem and that no repair date could be determined as replacement parts were not readily available. I called 1-800 again to check on repair status and was told that "Our warranty does not specify a time frame for repairs" and they said they could require 21 days to let me know the next course of action. I told them that was unacceptable and requested a refund or replacement. The answer was NO. But they offered $150 if I wanted. Not sure how that would help freeze my food....

We buy appliances to fulfill daily needs, losing them for a month at a time is unacceptable. Shameful product support!

Original review: July 5, 2022

These stoves are junk.. In the 1st month the control board went but fortunately that was replaced under warranty. Now 3 years later the control board has gone again the real kicker is the control board costs more than the whole stove now the stove has to be thrown out. Do not buy Amana.

Mike

Original review: May 24, 2022

Total failure of compressor after 26 months. It would have cost me more than I paid for it to fix it. Amana did not stand up for its product but rather hid behind an extended warranty excuse. Customer service was awful and referred me to an Amana certified inspector who called me to tell me that they don't deal with compressor issues and the appointment was 3 weeks out and I had already paid $220 for the the locally-owned dealer I bought it from inspector to look at it. Gave up and bought a GE fridge online at Best Buy and it was delivered in 4 days. Will never buy Amana or Whirlpool again.

Original review: April 29, 2022

Dryer was used sparingly. The appliance stopped working after 8 months. Waited 4 months for service, never showed up. Avoid Amana and don't buy from Best Buy. NO SERVICE. Best Buy will not do anything unless you purchase their warranty plan. Very disappointed. Buy from Home Depot!

Original review: April 21, 2022

I purchased an AMANA clothes dryer Model: NGD4655EW in Nov 2021. This appliance did not dry clothes efficiently. Many times it took 3-4 hrs to dry a small load. The heating cycle shuts off after a few minutes, and all you see is min heat or tubule dry operation for hours. It is a very badly designed machine. I had to get rid of it in 4 months, and got something else to serve my needs. I do not recommend this appliance.

- Dissatisfied customer

Original review: April 6, 2022

Let me begin by saying we purchased our washer from Lowes for our new apartment on Sept. 17th, 2021. The washer stopped spinning or going through all cycles by March 15th 2022. We were instructed to call Amana directly. After setting up a maintenance appt with Amana, a third party service provider was set up to come out between 8am & 4pm EST! AN ENTIRE DAY! At 2pm I received a call that the repairman had a family emergency and proceeded to reschedule me for two days later (March 24th 2022) between 10am & 2pm. The repairman on Thursday looked at the unit and said that 4 parts had malfunctioned, which was "not a surprise, because AMANA began using extra cheap parts." He checked in the parts and lo and behold, they are in back order and could "take up to two weeks to come in."

I have been on the phone with Amana three separate times since then and have been told three different stories from three different customer service associates. The only thing they could agree on was that they didn't have a status on when the parts would be available. After the 3rd associate, I asked if they could simply replace the washer?!? It's been over 3 weeks and I have a large family that relies on this washer (5 people in total). Their answer...it hasn't been over 21 days since the part was ordered. They were nice enough to supply me with a 25 dollar gift card, which hasn't made much of a sense in the over 125 dollars & 5 plus hours my wife and I have had to spend in a dingy Laundramat to keep up with the flow of family clothes. I'm sure it's not a problem for some, but we have 2 working adults and 3 teens who rely on clothes for school, sports & other activities.

After all this, I'm am still left waiting for Amana to provide some relief on a 6 month old washer. I personally plead with anyone looking for a washer...FIND ANOTHER COMPANY. AMANA DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS, THEY ARE UNHELPFUL AND THE CUSTOMER IS LEFT HOLDING THE BAG AND WAITING FOR THEM TO HELP...I LOOK AT IT THIS WAY...WE CAN'T TELL YOU WHEN PARTS WILL BE AVAILABLE, SO OUR PRODUCTS CAN DO WHAT THEY'RE SOLD TO DO, JUST REPLACE THE DANG THING SO WE CAN ALL GET IN WITH OUR LIVES!! STILL WAITING.

Original review: March 31, 2022

Just a complaint about washers. I'm short and getting older. Top loader drums are too deep. I have to stand on my tiptoes to reach the bottom of the drum. I know of others my height that say the same. If I stand on a stool, there is a chance it could tip especially when throwing the clothes into the dryer-twisting, leaning. Does anyone make a machine that isn't so deep?

Virge **

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

I have had several gas stoves, ovens and this one seems to work perfect for me it doesn't have a bunch of bells and whistles it's a plain Jane and I love it. If you're wanting something to cook with that evenly Cooks this is what you would want to buy Amanda is a good Appliance I've had whirlpools, Frigidaire, GE, LG, Samsung but this is really good for just plain cooking.

Amana Appliances author review by Jonathan Trout

Amana has been making affordable appliances for cooking, cleaning, heating and cooling for over 80 years. Their line of freezers includes upright or wide designs that range in price from $229 to $649. Capacities range from 5.3 cubic feet to 16 cubic feet.

• Compact chest freezers: Compact chest freezers range in size from 5.3 to 9.0 cubic feet. You can choose from features like rollers for easy movement or multiple baskets for different storage solutions. Prices for compact chest freezers are $269 to $349.

• Chest freezers: Amana’s standard chest freezer is 15 cubic feet and comes with two baskets for easy-access storage. The standard chest freezer costs $549 and comes with a 1-year limited warranty on parts and labor.

• Upright freezers: Amana’s upright freezer has a 16 cubic foot capacity and comes with energy-saving insulation. Its system prevents ice build up, eliminating the need to defrost the freezer. The upright freezer costs $649.

• DeepFreeze Technology: Amana’s DeepFreeze Technology cools the freezer down to negative 8 degrees.

• Fast Freeze Option: Some Amana freezers let you chill large amounts of food quickly. The Fast Freeze Option lets you drive your freezer’s temperature down 10 degrees colder than the lowest setting with the push of a button.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team