1.06/5
Based on 33 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 25, 2018

327 Rheem Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 25, 2018

My 2 year old motor on top of my condenser failed. It cost me 399.00 for labor. The manager of the company told me that the motors are often failing. They overheat and fail. I called Rheem, and was told the supplier’s representative could help. The manager told me they have tried with no success. He told me that they no longer recommend Rheem. I thought they were the best. I am extremely disappointed. There needs to be another class action suit, like there is against Rheem for their faulty aluminum condensers.

Original review: May 23, 2018

We got into our new house in 2013. Within 3 years we started having a cooling problem and called out a tech. The coils was horrid and we need more coolant. I was not informed by Rheem that there was a problem with the copper material they used to make these coils!! My "warranty" only covers labor for the first year and parts for ten years. We paid the tech and now a year and a half later, we started having the same problem... the AC isn't cooling again!! Called a tech and he said our coil needs to be replaced and it would still cost us "after the warranty", about $1,000.00!! This is ridiculous for only 5 years of use!! You might as well say it started in the "3" year old time period because of the first service call for "not cooling"! I am disabled with a fixed income and my mother doesn't make a lot of money either.

If there is a problem with the parts (Rheem) that they are installing in people's homes, they need to fix it "FREE" of charge! YES, I mean the LABOR too, especially when we have a warranty still in effect! It is not like the problem is after 25 years of use here!! We are talking new parts failing because of a manufacturing (material used) problem! I don't have $1000.00 to fix it and we live in Texas and it is HOT!!

We can't be expected to live in a new house with NO A/C when it is Rheem's fault! Me being disabled and my mother is "73" years old too... totally absurd! Something has to be done by Rheem immediately! I was not even aware of this problem that Rheem was having! The last service done on my Rheem unit was only a temporary solution and soon the coils will fail completely and hopefully not cause any damage to my home in the process! We don't have $1000.00 to get this done and it needs to be replaced NOW!! What are we to do???

Get expert buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 21, 2018

My Rheem HVAC is only three years old and the high pressure line to the sensor split causing all of the freon to leak out. I would say this was a very poor design not allowing any flex space in the high pressure line. Model # RH1T3617STANJA.

Original review: May 9, 2018

On Tuesday, May 1, 2018 my water heater, which was purchased and installed on 8/28/17 stopped working. We contacted Rheem and was told that they would send a replacement part and would send someone to install it. After we received the part, Rheem told us that they did not have anyone to service our area and we would have to find our own person. We contacted several companies and we finally found someone to come out, but they wanted to be paid at the point of service. The contractor informed us that it was the wrong part, so we contacted the company again and they sent us another part. The new part arrived on Friday, May 4, 2018 and after installation the contractor informed us that the machine needed to be replaced.

We contacted Rheem again and they told us that they would put in a request for replacement through one of their companies and we would be contacted within 24 hours. We waited the entire weekend and Monday morning to be contacted. Finally, we called Rheem back and they gave us the number to the contractor whom they sent the order. The contractor told us that they told Rheem that they do not service the area. We contacted Rheem again and they told us that they would need 24 more hours to contact another company.

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018, I was told by a rude representative that they have done all they can do and she would transfer me to another department, who she said could help me. I spoke with a new rep who was more understanding of the fact that I have not had hot water in over a week; however, he put me on hold and transferred me to another department. I spoke with another rep who told me that I can find a person on my own because it was nothing they could do. I asked to speak with a manager and she told me to hold on and transferred me to Fidelity Bank. We have not found a company who are wants to work with this company and no one can help us with this faulty product.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Terrible. Sent wrong model. First time had plumber install in unit, it overheated and filled drip pan. I paid plumber $390.00. Finally got correct thermostat, I paid plumber AGAIN. Tried to order part by numbers on old part but Rheem said it did not go by these numbers. 2nd part came. It same numbers as old part. Talking to plumbers they say they have same problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?

Original review: May 2, 2018

Recently purchased a home (Feb 2018). The seller replaced all appliances prior to selling including a Rheem water heater. The water heater became defective in less than a year. The company refuses to honor its 12 year warranty for the product installed less than a year ago due to the fact I am not the original purchaser of the unit. What happened to companies standing behind their products? I started looking at reviews and have found very few that have been positive about this household name company. Will not be purchasing any products from Rheem in the future. Very disappointed.

Original review: April 26, 2018

My Rheem central a/c is 4 yrs old. I've had an issue with a leak in the outside unit and now I've had to replace the inside coil because of a leak. I've been around Rheem for 40 yrs and they have been reliable in the past but not now. If this company is cutting corners to make more profit they are headed down a dead end road. If this inside coil goes out again I will not get it replaced by a Rheem product (which the part should be under warranty) which means I will in effect be buying an inside unit 3 times and outside unit twice. I'm disgusted to the max and will not recommend Rheem to anyone nor will I use it again as well!!!! Rheem you have my email and you can contact me at will. DISGUSTED IN BUSH, LA.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Bought new water heater Tuesday, got the 9 year warranty. Guess what, new water heater doesn't work. Friday called toll free number see if warranty would cover parts that need to be replaced and work. Rheem calls back to inform us that we live too far away from a tech to send one. That we would have to call the plumber ourselves and pay for all work. We then send the invoice to Rheem and they decide if they will reimburse us for it, but only up to $125.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Catastrophic failure of the reversing valve in 2 years old Rheem heat pump vented all refrigerant. $253.00 Cost to find failure. $600.00 Cost of labor to replacing their failed reversing valve. $450.00 Cost to replace refrigerant caused by failure of their reversing valve. $0.00 Cost of parts. $0.00 (Only thing covered under 10 years’ warranty). Costs covered by the famous Rheem 10 years’ warranty $0.00. Likelihood that Rheem/Ruud will ever see my business or anyone I know again 0%. This short-sighted strategy creates an incentive to produce subpar products. I highly recommend looking at another heating and air supplier and pay close attention to what they cover in their warranty.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I filed a warranty claim with the company via their web form with all the required information. Rheem never responded one way or the other, on a water heater that failed after just two years on a 6 year warranty. During installation we discovered that half of the gas heating unit was missing. Rheem graciously sent us a new heating unit, though, as it turned out, even that was defective, but was able to repair with locally sourced parts. Between my father and I we have used Rheem water heaters in this house for over 60 years, but obviously, there must be new management, who neither cares about quality control or fairness in business practices. Serial Number Q421515023. Model Number XG29T06EC32U1. Date of Purchase 11/11/2015.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Had the one fail after 3 years and was told I had to bring it to Home Depot myself and then Home Depot only gave me a credit for lowest sale price of the unit instead of even exchange. Anywho as I needed a water heater and I'd rather use the credit then lose it all I decided to pay the difference and bought the platinum edition unit with the 12 year warranty with 3 year in home labor coverage. However, 2 hours after install I noticed the pan was filled with dirty water. Turned out the internal tank failed. POOR quality control. No way this tank was tested at 300psi as the sticker states. Maybe the brand but not my specific tank!

So meanwhile I just got done lugging old one into Home Depot, then this one home, installed etc. Now been trying to reach Rheem for 5 days straight but they are having phone issues. Finally get ahold of them and am told it's under warranty so I can on my own dime and my own hurting back uninstall this unit, drive it to Home Depot and exchange it even though paperwork and stickers on tank say DO NOT RETURN TO STORE... So I guess this 12 year warranty just means that I'm able to install/uninstall for exchanges for a period of 12 years worth of crap merchandise? What is the point in having a 3 year labor in home warranty if they won't send anyone to my home!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

We purchased a hot water heater on December 6th, 2017 and it stopped working on December 19th, 2017. We called Rheem on the 20th and they dispatched a plumber to come out on the 21st, he showed up on the 22nd. He started up the unit and said we needed new parts and he would call Rheem to let them know which parts need to be shipped to the house. I called Rheem on Friday the 29th because the unit stopped producing hot water again and the parts were never ordered. We've been without hot water since Friday the 29th. Hold time to speak to customer service is 40 minutes. I've been calling everyday 2 to 3 times a day to see if the parts were ordered and still have no answer. It's -6 degrees and I've been without hot water for 5 full days. Not acceptable! I would never recommend Rheem products to anyone! I understand that the unit itself failed but customer service is ridiculous!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I'm a professional plumber. Rheem Ruud has been decreasing in quality for the last few years, but what really enrages me is their customer service. You'll wait over an hour to talk to someone. Every. Single. Time. Half the time, you get hung up on when they transfer your call, so guess what? Another hour of waiting. As someone who has to bill for time, these people are thieves. I would NEVER buy one of their products.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Installed a water heater that worked for two days. Called customer support. Spent 20 minutes waiting, only to be redirected to a "technician" with a 40 minute wait. I got a teenaged millennial who had never installed a water heater and clearly wanted me off the queue. I got exactly one question, what's the voltage across the incoming electrical leads. Despite both leads providing 120VAC, I was told it was an electrical problem, determined by ONE test, and dismissed. No other diagnostics were performed and no interest in what, where are when anything happened. Describing the problem and steps taken was of no interest to the teenager on the other end. Clearly designed to avoid actual customer service. So if you want to talk to a know-it-all teenager on a phone in a cube, call Rheem customer support. If ya want to fix your WH, try YouTube and Amazon.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

We moved into our new place in 2012 and a month later the Rheem gas hot water heater blew its side. We were relieved to find it was under warranty but it still cost us $600 to have the new unit installed. One month less than 5 years, the HW heater blew its side again flooding our basement. I called Rheem and they told me there is no warranty on this unit since it was already a warranty replacement. I tried demanding a better solution than that but the person hung up on me and I never heard back from them despite numerous attempts.

I have a family of 6 and need hot water so I had to get a new unit a.s.a.p. It cost $2000 all in. I am livid that such a huge company can't back up their products. When they realize you have had issues with their product the first thing you hope to hear from them is "Sorry you're having trouble with our products, Sir. Let's take a look at how we can fix this situation" not "We already gave you a new one." I thought you should get at least 10 years from a heater? Not impressed Rheem! You should be ashamed! Profit over people!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I installed a new Rheem A/C in Feb. 2015. In May 2016, the coil in the A/C failed. It was just over 12 months in service. Rheem paid for the coil but would not pay the labor. The reinstall was done badly and I was engaged in a 6 month back and forth battle with the installers to get Rheem to at consider paying the labor but no deal. Now Oct. 2017, the Coil has failed again and will also need to be replaced. The quality of these Rheem Units is very poor. I am told the coils are aluminum and they do not last long when in contact with dissimilar metals. Rheem doesn't care how many times you replace them as long as you keep coming back for more. They are also made in Mexico if that has anything to do with it. If that were not enough, I live in a condo and there are many of these units here, many of them have had coils fail and been replaced.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I had a complete change out of both inner and outer units in my home. Fan motor was 1st to go. It has a printed circuit board on the end of it and was a whopping 500 dollars. Now I have had technician out twice out this fall and the diagnosis is the unit needs to be replaced. Guess what - just out of warranty. After calling Rheem and not asking for a warranty replacement but a little help on the cost for a new one they declined. They said, "Sorry mechanical items fail." Buyers beware. I wish I had did more research before purchasing this product.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

This will be the second time in a four-year period to have to change out the coil unit and RHEEM will not cover labor charges to do this!!! That's how they back their sorry equipment. Just last I had to leak in compressor, thank goodness I had a great service company that was able to repair rather than replace because the irresponsible company that installed the unit didn't register it!!! Come on RHEEM stand behind your product!!!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

Royal Air and Heating in Dallas installed a Rheem unit at my house. The unit is extremely loud and it is like living next to a ship’s engine room. Even the Addison inspector who came out on the permit said the unit sounds like a 40 year old unit. The Rheem unit replaced a 20 yr old unit and the new Rheem unit is much louder than the old unit. It is also next to the master bedroom, so you cannot sleep in that room. In June 2017, when the unit was installed, Royal Air and Heating said a Rheem rep will have to come out and check it. It is now the end of September 2017 and still no Rheem rep has come to check the unit.

I also contacted Rheem. They called me back and said they will follow up. They never did. Don't allow anyone to install one of these units at your house. It is a headache and you will not get any customer service. And, you will be waiting forever for a Rheem rep to come out. Surprised this awful company is still in business. Royal Air decided to install Rheem though I raised issues based on the reviews I saw. However, I had no choice since through home warranty. I also had to pay approximately $1,300 for upgrades, etc. And, this is what I am left with, an obnoxiously loud unit that infringes on my quality of life because I can no longer sleep in the master room. It is so loud.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I purchased a new water heater from Rheem and had it installed. I never got hot water and it took almost 2 weeks for Rheem to give me a new one. Customer Service was horrific and the most incompetent people I have ever had to deal with. I spoke with them and told them that my water heater has never worked and they shipped out part after part and finally gave me a new one. My family was in a new place and had no hot water for almost 2 weeks!! There was nothing but an, "Oops, I'm sorry." from Rheem. I have never been so dissatisfied and so infuriated at a company before in my life! I will never buy anything from Rheem again. I suggest everyone save their money and buy from anyone but Rheem!!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Hot water heater. Buy 1 yr warranty. Buy 3 yr warranty. Buy 6 yr warranty. Buy 10yr warranty. If in a business, Rheem automatically reduces warranty to 1 yr, regardless if you paid for more warranty or not. Gas valve failure exactly 1 yr 1 mo later and Rheem... reemed us. Water heater $600... new valve... $226. I will never buy anything ever with Rheem on the tag. Un-ethical company.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Installed a Rheem AC in 2014. It has a 10 year warranty. The installer is Efficient Home solutions. They are the distributor in the Dallas Area. The AC stopped working not long after the service visit by Efficient home solutions. The Valve which monitors the flow of the Freon just stopped working, so no cooling at all. & 189.00 to install a lubricating oil to see if it work. Then if it does not work, Replace the monitor/valve. Cost of replacing the part which is still under warranty will be $1400.00. I begin to wonder if the two, Rheem and their distributor Efficient Home Solutions don't have an arrangement to ensnare unwitting customers to collect labor and visit charges. I would not recommend either Rheem or their distributor Efficient Home Solutions.

Original review: July 26, 2017

We have a five year old tankless water heater. The gas control valve went out. We were told this rarely happens. There is only a five year warranty on parts and we missed the deadline by four months. Rheem customer service rep was very rude. Our plumber recommended Rheem because they had a reputation for good products and parts. I wished I would have researched instead of taking his word for it. I would never buy a Rheem product again.

Original review: July 16, 2017

When did I just have my 4th hot water tank replaced? It is fine only that they fail before the warranty is up (home was built in 2000). But it is still not free. Of course there is an up charge and installation.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I bought a Rheem heating and air unit back in 200. The whole thing is going out now. Had a warranty for 5 years. Shortly after the warranty expires have to put a new fan motor. The electric component on a side went out and now the compressor is out which run anywhere between 1700 and $3,000 and they're saying that my condenser looks like it might be going out so I need a whole new unit on top of all this. My heater motor bearings are going out so now I need a whole new unit.

Poor customer service from Hannah here in Andover, Kansas. I've read a lot of customer complaints. It seems to me these the Rheem manufacturers cannot get their act together so it's time for somebody to do something. A new unit could cost me between $5,000 to $6,500 and up not including the parts and labor that I've already paid for poor quality parts. What is anybody going to do about this? I am the man that will do something if there's lawsuits that need be filed so be it and I'm sure with 300 other online reviews and customer complaints a lot of will go a lot with us. You can reach us at **.

Original review: July 6, 2017

Hot H20 tank failed after 4.5 yrs. Rheem will not honor 7 yr. warranty because there is no longer a commercial dealer in my town. Beware of poor/no customer support with this company. Very disappointed, in what used to be a dependable company.

Original review: June 27, 2017

We installed a Rheem tankless water heater system in February 2017 and starting about a year ago, it has consistently failed to produce hot water. It appears to be a computer/software problem, as our plumber is able to reboot it, but we have not been able to do so following the manual. The reboot may last a few weeks, or 24 hours, and there seems to be no discernible trigger. Our next step will be to remove the system and replace it with traditional water heaters.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Had an entire new RHEEM 18 Seer HVAC System installed in late November, 2011. It has never worked properly. In particular the AC has been problematic from day one. Last year the diagnosis was a leaky coil that has not been replaced, to date, because the distributor did not honor the warranty and then could not locate a replacement part. Finally a replacement COIL was manufactured. Now the fan and motor needs to be replaced and I have to wait for the part. I have spent hundreds of dollars and countless hours trying to have working AC for over 6 years. In addition, I cannot get anybody at RHEEM HQ to take responsibility. DO NOT PURCHASE RHEEM EQUIPMENT, it's unreliable and the company does not even stock replacement parts! What a rip off.

Original review: June 11, 2017

We had a Rheem 5 ton A/C unit installed a couple of years ago. Our installer is a great person and has installed other units in our home. This unit, however, has never cooled. I have records of my many calls and emails to him. He has come to our home more times than I can count. He over engineered the duct work, etc to try to get this unit to cool but still, no luck. I called the supplier here in Nashville and he offered me a couple hundred dollars from their slush fund for dissatisfied customers (eye roll) to contribute toward my service fees that I am having to pay to get this NEW $7,000 unit serviced.

Recently, we had freon added but it continues to run 24/7 and can't cool the rooms. I am told that it is so much more efficient and that is one of the reasons it is not as effective as our old unit (which we wish we could get back). I have evidence that our electric bill has gone up significantly in the summer months since we have had this unit. Also, we have four A/C units in our home and yet, for these upstairs bedrooms, we have to run FANS in the summer and today I actually considered buying a separate room A/C unit for a couple of bedrooms so they are livable. THAT was when I realized that this unit is going to be removed.

We have decided to remove the unit entirely asap and then pursue legal recourse with Rheem. There is no way to contact them. Zero. They hide behind a cloak.

We are contacting an attorney in the morning and possibly, he will be able to reach Rheem. I can't help but wonder if there are more people out there with this same experience. I was told by either my service rep or the supplier that they realized that they had a problem and have changed a coil system or something. I need to go back through my notes. I am so frustrated with not only the hot upstairs but also for all of the time and effort that I have had to put into this.

Furthermore, I now have to pursue it all legally so that will require much time, etc. SO, BEFORE YOU INSTALL AN A/C, MAKE SURE YOU ASK YOUR INSTALLER IF HE HAS EVER HAD A PROBLEM IN THE PAST. We trusted our installer and more importantly the manufacturer - RHEEM- and they gave us a bad unit and will do nothing about it. My hope is that we can also charge them for service fees AND attorney fees. My email address is ** if you have this issue as well. This company needs to stand behind their products instead of behind their installers and suppliers.

Original review: June 9, 2017

My tankless LP gas water heater froze and burst a copper inlet water pipe. It should have gravity drained last fall, but crappy design somehow didn't allow it. So when I turned it on this spring, water was everywhere. I called Rheem to get a new copper tube. "It's an unavailable part. We don't stock it." Now what village idiot designs an appliance that is prone to freezing, fails, and you have no option but to throw it out and buy another? Like I would EVER buy another product from a loser company that designs and operates this way??? The managers and engineers should be ashamed. What fools. But fool me once, shame on me? Not in this case. Shame on them for being idiots and having no concern about their customers, who are the reason they are in business...

Rheem expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Rheem Manufacturing Company was founded in 1925 in Emeryville, CA. Today, it is the world’s only manufacturer that produces heating, cooling, water heating, pool/spa heating and commercial refrigeration products.  In addition to their other products, Rheem specializes in central air conditioners for homes and businesses.

• Easy to find: Rheem is sold by independent contractors around the world and at retailers nationwide. Easily find an independent Rheem contractor or retailer in your area through Rheem’s website.

• Homeowner resource center: Rheem’s online homeowner’s resource center is the best place to find all the information you need on local contractors, financing, rebates and warranties for all of your Rheem products.

• Heart of Comfort (HOC): Rheem’s HOC program was created as a way to unify all of Rheem’s charitable giving across the continent. The program is committed to helping communities across the country gain access to home comforts, including heating and cooling. Find out about events in your area and how you can help through Rheem’s website.

• Tax credit information: The federal tax program can be confusing, which is why Rheem website’s thorough and step-by-step explanation of how they work is so helpful. Find out what products qualify for credit, what your limit is and how long you have to take advantage of the tax credits.

• Financing: Rheem works with Synchrony Bank to offer consumers financing options for their home comfort products. Consumers can enjoy features such as convenient monthly payment options, competitive interest rates and an open credit line for future purchases.

• Best for: Homes and businesses that need central air conditioning.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs