Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Rheem Reviews

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

Ever since this heat pump was installed I have had problems with it. Various heating contractors come and charge me money to try to fix the problem but to no success. Only temporary fixes. I tried to contact Rheem as I feel the unit is defective but no one gets back to you or takes time to help or access the problem. Very dissatisfied and would not recommend Rheem to anyone who needs a heat pump!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

We had a new air handler installed in our condo in the spring of 2014. Since that time, we have had the evaporator coil replaced three times and the blower motor replaced once. Although Rheem offers a ten year warranty for the parts, they will not pony up for labor for the customers out of pocket expenses. It cost me $1450. Despite the fact the coils are obviously defective, Rheem will not take any responsibility for a product that is less than reliable. They are so bad that they currently are saddled with a class action lawsuit. Save yourself a lot of money and buy a product from a credible manufacturer who offers a reliable product.. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR.... DO NOT BUY A RHEEM AIR HANDLER.

Get expert buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

Works fine until it breaks. they have NO authorized repair companies. The trouble shooting staff are rude & in my opinion stupid. No one stocks Rheem parts to go buy locally. Rheem will not sell parts with a phone order, only internet, but their site does not work. My remote has gone out. I cannot diagnose the problem without their remote. There are no service companies who can come with their remote to diagnose because they have no service agents. I will never buy anything else from this Japanese manufacturer. Before you buy try getting help from them of finding a service center.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

The company recalled the unit. It started a fire in my house. They didn’t bother to ask if everyone was ok after the fire. They wanted to repair the damaged water heater. It was totaled. The fire department pulled out the electrical system to make sure the fire was out. I sprayed a whole can of fire extinguisher in my garage. Made a huge mess. Didn’t care. I called. They said they would find a technician. They didn’t. I had to find one. Finally after a lot of calling found one. Got amount authorization from them. I submitted my invoice twice instead of invoice and receipt, resubmitted with corrected info. Now they want my credit card bill to verify the receipt was real!!! They all need to be subjected to having on fire in their home. So they also won’t cover the extra $200 for the new water heater which I wouldn’t of had to get if the one they sold hadn’t started on fire. So please don’t ever buy anything from them. Put them out of business!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

We purchased a new direct vent gas hot water heater online though Home Depot in September. Right from the installation we have had issues with the tank not working. The first problem was the vapour sensor. It was faulty and therefore the tank was not staying on to heat. The sensor was replaced and then the tank stopped again. The tech that came out said the issue was with a valve that was not working. We ordered a valve, had it installed and this time the problem was not resolved, even for a few days. The tech said we needed another part which was ordered. Of course, going into a weekend, so we had to wait more than the 2-3 days they promise for delivery. We have been without hot water for 6 days in January, during a very cold snap in Edmonton! We've had to shower at the gym and wash dishes in cold water. Not impressed at all! The new part has now been installed. Hopefully this is the last of our problems with this tank..!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

Purchased this water heater in July 2018. Today realized we have no hot water, unit not turning on. Called Rheem. They informed me that the panel burned out, part needs to be replaced. Today is Saturday. Will not receive the part till Tuesday!!!! Maybe will be installed by Thursday!!! Are you serious!!! No hot water for 6 days!!! This company sucks!!! Will never buy a rheem product again.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Updated on 01/24/2020: Just an update to my first post. Just got another look at my electric usage since installing this unit...UP HIGHER than the previous month. It seems the unit runs excessively. Part of that I believe is due to the amount of cold air it blows at the end of the cycle...keeps it in a constant cycle. What a waste of $6,000 dollars. DO NOT BUY.

Original Review: We had the system installed in November 2019 and I just received our first electric bill covering a full month of service. What a disappointment! Our electric bill DOUBLED during that month. So much for energy efficient! Compared to a year ago, with a 16 year old unit, during the same period it was higher. Technician checked, said there was nothing wrong. So clearly they are simply do not offer the energy savings we were told to expect. I will not recommend this.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

Our tankless water heater failed within the extended warranty time, no problem, we will just contact Rheem customer service and get them to send a new one. Paid $80 in shipping, installed the water heater, errors out with an ambiguous error code 13 while using water at a normal flow rate. Dozens of calls to Rheem customer service, they tell us we need to have gas guy come out and check our gas service. We have to pay $200 for that check of the service, and it turns out the service is fine. Call Rheem about their defective unit and advise gas is fine, they start their "claim" for sending another replacement unit, another $80 for shipping.

We have not had hot water now for weeks and will be waiting for another week and a half for a new one to be installed. I started looking into the company to find out that, they have a TON of defective units out there and unfairly expect the customer to shoulder the burden of proof, and costs associated with shipping, inspection, and installation. Will never buy or recommend Rheem to anyone, unless I really want to tick them off.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

Rudest customer service department ever all the way from the customer service reps who answer the phone to the supervisors of the area. I called because our water heater broke on December 23 when it was only 3 years old and received no assistance. The service guy was told the part wasn't available for 2 weeks. The supervisor told me no one called in. After pulling teeth, she finally agreed to double check my serial number, and it was typed in wrong. He did call in. The initial rep and supervisor were very rude, and not at all sympathetic. The repair man was also given the wrong information. He was not offered an alternate replacement part that would also work. We will be replacing our tankless water heater, and it will not be by Rheem.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

$10k paper weight/heat pump. After 27 months our 5 ton 15 seer heat pump failed. We were told the reversing valve failed allowing all of the Freon to leak out. I called customer service who opened a case and told me someone would call me back. I have been waiting 7 business days for the call... I have called back 2 and I am directed to their voicemail. I would not recommend Rheem/Ruud.

Rheem expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Rheem Manufacturing Company was founded in 1925 in Emeryville, CA. Today, it is the world’s only manufacturer that produces heating, cooling, water heating, pool/spa heating and commercial refrigeration products.  In addition to their other products, Rheem specializes in central air conditioners for homes and businesses.

• Easy to find: Rheem is sold by independent contractors around the world and at retailers nationwide. Easily find an independent Rheem contractor or retailer in your area through Rheem’s website.

• Homeowner resource center: Rheem’s online homeowner’s resource center is the best place to find all the information you need on local contractors, financing, rebates and warranties for all of your Rheem products.

• Heart of Comfort (HOC): Rheem’s HOC program was created as a way to unify all of Rheem’s charitable giving across the continent. The program is committed to helping communities across the country gain access to home comforts, including heating and cooling. Find out about events in your area and how you can help through Rheem’s website.

• Tax credit information: The federal tax program can be confusing, which is why Rheem website’s thorough and step-by-step explanation of how they work is so helpful. Find out what products qualify for credit, what your limit is and how long you have to take advantage of the tax credits.

• Financing: Rheem works with Synchrony Bank to offer consumers financing options for their home comfort products. Consumers can enjoy features such as convenient monthly payment options, competitive interest rates and an open credit line for future purchases.

• Best for: Homes and businesses that need central air conditioning.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team