Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Rheem Reviews

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I had a Rheem HVAC unit with a motor burned out during a HOT Summer in Alabama a few days ago. The local Distributor did not honor my warranty due to the fact that my problem comes up after the Unit installation date; but, it was within my warranty registration date. I called Rheem warranty department and was fortunate to speak to a lovely lady named Michelle. She took times listened to my explanation and willing to work and help me with the warranty part. The authorized Rheem technician was able to help restore the HVAC unit to its operations. I wanted to thanks Michelle personally and thanks Rheem manufacturing department for going the extra mile to listen and review my case. With this type of professional service, I am rest assure to continue to buy Rheem products for my future need. Again, thank you very much.

Original review: June 12, 2019

We bought this house 13 yrs ago. It had a Rheem water heater installed 3 yrs prior. I have never touched it. It has been running fine, but is most likely due soon. We are remodeling and will need to install a direct vent rather than chimney vent model. We’ll replace it with its comparable current model. Hopefully the replacement lasts as long.

Get expert buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I have been used for 11 yrs, no problem at all. I don’t know how long my previous owner has used. In 2015 I contacted the manufacturer by email, they are nice and respond quickly. I just want to be fair to tell my true experience.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I purchased a tankless water heater from Rheem and after the install was completed it did not stay on always shutting off at no particular time or reason. Rheem sent off many parts and I had many service calls to put the new parts on at my cost. Then two and half years went by and I thought that all of the parts that were defective had been replaced. No, the unit started shutting down again. Then, Rheem replaced the unit but would not reimburse me for the labor to install the new one. I waited sixteen weeks for them to finally tell me that they would not give me a dime for the cost of their defective produce. I had been in contact with them throughout that time period and they had asked for all of my paper work. They had such an extensive file on this case that they had given it two different case numbers over the years. In conclusion I would not recommend dealing with this company they have a bad public relation policy. Jessica

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

I purchased a brand new unit in July 2019. It was installed on July 26, 2019. On Sept. 22, 2019 the unit stopped working due to the refrigerant totally leaking out of the unit. My cooling service man found a leak where the tube coming out of the expansion valve was split at the connection. Since it is brass it can not be welded so had to be replaced. Original installation and unit cost $4200. Cost to replace parts (after rebate for warranty parts of $99.00) $630.00. (I have to pay to have them ship me the parts also, $25.00.) Cost of room a/c unit due to medical issues and 10 days to wait for repair $341.00. This is a manufacturers defect so be aware that this problem exists. They will not cover it. They do not stand behind their product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

7 years ago I purchased a Rheem tankless gas heater. Last night it leaked and burnt out the control board. I called first thing this morning and was greeted by an agent that was rude and kept yawning over the phone. She told me I needed pictures so I left work to do exactly what was in the email, also contacted a certified Rheem installer. I called back to see if they opened the picture and they did not so the gentleman agent opened and downloaded them and said my heater could not be fixed. What next since I do have children?

He said you have to send the unit back to whomever you purchased it and then you can get a new one. I asked how long is that gonna take since the only supplier Home Depot in my area said it takes 21 days to get the model from Rheem. This is ridiculous, what am I gonna do for 21 days bath in my local river?? I am in the service industry. We are a dealer or Hayward pool products. When a product is under warranty we replace it asap then we send it back and get reimbursed for the part and labor. People can live without their pools not without hot water!!!! I am an owner of 4 rentals and I will never use a rheem product again do to their warranty procedures. Buyer beware!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I purchased three separate Rheem HVAC units for three of my house. Has one unit failed within three months and needed a new water pump. One unit failed within 9 months and needed a new fan motor and the third unit managed to last two years and needed a new condensing fan motor. For what you pay for these systems I can't even see one of them failing this quickly but three systems is inexcusable and I don't run my air conditioning hard at all. I keep my house at 81 degrees and the two other houses are kept at about 75 or 76 degrees. There is no excuse for these units to fail this quickly.

Every time I call Rheem they just tie me up in questions about serial numbers and product numbers and they never give me a firm answer as to why the systems failed so quickly and they obviously have never made any offer to reimburse the expenses of repairing these systems. The first two were covered under the warranty. The third one was not because it failed in two years so I was stuck paying for the repair. I'm actually afraid to use my air conditioning for what might break down next and I can't see these systems lasting 10 or 20 years. If they're breaking down like this now I don't know who regulates HVAC companies but Rheem needs to be reported. They are either making substandard products or they are pawning off reconditioned systems as new systems.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I called the company about my tank that’s 2 years old and started leaking, the plumber I called told me that the gas control has to be replaced. Every representative said it’s a different problem and they didn’t want to send me the part my plumber needed to fix the tank. Now I’m stuck with a leaking tank that’s only 2 years old.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I have been on hold going on 30 mins trying to reach someone while my hot water heater is leaking all over my basement! It's only 2 years old! I will never use this company ever again! What a rip off! Take your business elsewhere!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

My house is three years old. The builder installed a Rheem a/c unit. The unit failed after just 3 years! All the freon leaked out. The culprit was a small bent copper pipe off the compressor - Defective manufacturing! Rheem said "too bad, not our problem"!

Rheem expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Rheem Manufacturing Company was founded in 1925 in Emeryville, CA. Today, it is the world’s only manufacturer that produces heating, cooling, water heating, pool/spa heating and commercial refrigeration products.  In addition to their other products, Rheem specializes in central air conditioners for homes and businesses.

• Easy to find: Rheem is sold by independent contractors around the world and at retailers nationwide. Easily find an independent Rheem contractor or retailer in your area through Rheem’s website.

• Homeowner resource center: Rheem’s online homeowner’s resource center is the best place to find all the information you need on local contractors, financing, rebates and warranties for all of your Rheem products.

• Heart of Comfort (HOC): Rheem’s HOC program was created as a way to unify all of Rheem’s charitable giving across the continent. The program is committed to helping communities across the country gain access to home comforts, including heating and cooling. Find out about events in your area and how you can help through Rheem’s website.

• Tax credit information: The federal tax program can be confusing, which is why Rheem website’s thorough and step-by-step explanation of how they work is so helpful. Find out what products qualify for credit, what your limit is and how long you have to take advantage of the tax credits.

• Financing: Rheem works with Synchrony Bank to offer consumers financing options for their home comfort products. Consumers can enjoy features such as convenient monthly payment options, competitive interest rates and an open credit line for future purchases.

• Best for: Homes and businesses that need central air conditioning.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs