1.04/5
  • 1 star
Based on 35 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 2, 2017

314 Rheem Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Installed a water heater that worked for two days. Called customer support. Spent 20 minutes waiting, only to be redirected to a "technician" with a 40 minute wait. I got a teenaged millennial who had never installed a water heater and clearly wanted me off the queue. I got exactly one question, what's the voltage across the incoming electrical leads. Despite both leads providing 120VAC, I was told it was an electrical problem, determined by ONE test, and dismissed. No other diagnostics were performed and no interest in what, where are when anything happened. Describing the problem and steps taken was of no interest to the teenager on the other end. Clearly designed to avoid actual customer service. So if you want to talk to a know-it-all teenager on a phone in a cube, call Rheem customer support. If ya want to fix your WH, try YouTube and Amazon.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

We moved into our new place in 2012 and a month later the Rheem gas hot water heater blew its side. We were relieved to find it was under warranty but it still cost us $600 to have the new unit installed. One month less than 5 years, the HW heater blew its side again flooding our basement. I called Rheem and they told me there is no warranty on this unit since it was already a warranty replacement. I tried demanding a better solution than that but the person hung up on me and I never heard back from them despite numerous attempts.

I have a family of 6 and need hot water so I had to get a new unit a.s.a.p. It cost $2000 all in. I am livid that such a huge company can't back up their products. When they realize you have had issues with their product the first thing you hope to hear from them is "Sorry you're having trouble with our products, Sir. Let's take a look at how we can fix this situation" not "We already gave you a new one." I thought you should get at least 10 years from a heater? Not impressed Rheem! You should be ashamed! Profit over people!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I installed a new Rheem A/C in Feb. 2015. In May 2016, the coil in the A/C failed. It was just over 12 months in service. Rheem paid for the coil but would not pay the labor. The reinstall was done badly and I was engaged in a 6 month back and forth battle with the installers to get Rheem to at consider paying the labor but no deal. Now Oct. 2017, the Coil has failed again and will also need to be replaced. The quality of these Rheem Units is very poor. I am told the coils are aluminum and they do not last long when in contact with dissimilar metals. Rheem doesn't care how many times you replace them as long as you keep coming back for more. They are also made in Mexico if that has anything to do with it. If that were not enough, I live in a condo and there are many of these units here, many of them have had coils fail and been replaced.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I had a complete change out of both inner and outer units in my home. Fan motor was 1st to go. It has a printed circuit board on the end of it and was a whopping 500 dollars. Now I have had technician out twice out this fall and the diagnosis is the unit needs to be replaced. Guess what - just out of warranty. After calling Rheem and not asking for a warranty replacement but a little help on the cost for a new one they declined. They said, "Sorry mechanical items fail." Buyers beware. I wish I had did more research before purchasing this product.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

This will be the second time in a four-year period to have to change out the coil unit and RHEEM will not cover labor charges to do this!!! That's how they back their sorry equipment. Just last I had to leak in compressor, thank goodness I had a great service company that was able to repair rather than replace because the irresponsible company that installed the unit didn't register it!!! Come on RHEEM stand behind your product!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

Royal Air and Heating in Dallas installed a Rheem unit at my house. The unit is extremely loud and it is like living next to a ship’s engine room. Even the Addison inspector who came out on the permit said the unit sounds like a 40 year old unit. The Rheem unit replaced a 20 yr old unit and the new Rheem unit is much louder than the old unit. It is also next to the master bedroom, so you cannot sleep in that room. In June 2017, when the unit was installed, Royal Air and Heating said a Rheem rep will have to come out and check it. It is now the end of September 2017 and still no Rheem rep has come to check the unit.

I also contacted Rheem. They called me back and said they will follow up. They never did. Don't allow anyone to install one of these units at your house. It is a headache and you will not get any customer service. And, you will be waiting forever for a Rheem rep to come out. Surprised this awful company is still in business. Royal Air decided to install Rheem though I raised issues based on the reviews I saw. However, I had no choice since through home warranty. I also had to pay approximately $1,300 for upgrades, etc. And, this is what I am left with, an obnoxiously loud unit that infringes on my quality of life because I can no longer sleep in the master room. It is so loud.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I purchased a new water heater from Rheem and had it installed. I never got hot water and it took almost 2 weeks for Rheem to give me a new one. Customer Service was horrific and the most incompetent people I have ever had to deal with. I spoke with them and told them that my water heater has never worked and they shipped out part after part and finally gave me a new one. My family was in a new place and had no hot water for almost 2 weeks!! There was nothing but an, "Oops, I'm sorry." from Rheem. I have never been so dissatisfied and so infuriated at a company before in my life! I will never buy anything from Rheem again. I suggest everyone save their money and buy from anyone but Rheem!!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Hot water heater. Buy 1 yr warranty. Buy 3 yr warranty. Buy 6 yr warranty. Buy 10yr warranty. If in a business, Rheem automatically reduces warranty to 1 yr, regardless if you paid for more warranty or not. Gas valve failure exactly 1 yr 1 mo later and Rheem... reemed us. Water heater $600... new valve... $226. I will never buy anything ever with Rheem on the tag. Un-ethical company.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Installed a Rheem AC in 2014. It has a 10 year warranty. The installer is Efficient Home solutions. They are the distributor in the Dallas Area. The AC stopped working not long after the service visit by Efficient home solutions. The Valve which monitors the flow of the Freon just stopped working, so no cooling at all. & 189.00 to install a lubricating oil to see if it work. Then if it does not work, Replace the monitor/valve. Cost of replacing the part which is still under warranty will be $1400.00. I begin to wonder if the two, Rheem and their distributor Efficient Home Solutions don't have an arrangement to ensnare unwitting customers to collect labor and visit charges. I would not recommend either Rheem or their distributor Efficient Home Solutions.

Original review: July 26, 2017

We have a five year old tankless water heater. The gas control valve went out. We were told this rarely happens. There is only a five year warranty on parts and we missed the deadline by four months. Rheem customer service rep was very rude. Our plumber recommended Rheem because they had a reputation for good products and parts. I wished I would have researched instead of taking his word for it. I would never buy a Rheem product again.

Original review: July 16, 2017

When did I just have my 4th hot water tank replaced? It is fine only that they fail before the warranty is up (home was built in 2000). But it is still not free. Of course there is an up charge and installation.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I bought a Rheem heating and air unit back in 200. The whole thing is going out now. Had a warranty for 5 years. Shortly after the warranty expires have to put a new fan motor. The electric component on a side went out and now the compressor is out which run anywhere between 1700 and $3,000 and they're saying that my condenser looks like it might be going out so I need a whole new unit on top of all this. My heater motor bearings are going out so now I need a whole new unit.

Poor customer service from Hannah here in Andover, Kansas. I've read a lot of customer complaints. It seems to me these the Rheem manufacturers cannot get their act together so it's time for somebody to do something. A new unit could cost me between $5,000 to $6,500 and up not including the parts and labor that I've already paid for poor quality parts. What is anybody going to do about this? I am the man that will do something if there's lawsuits that need be filed so be it and I'm sure with 300 other online reviews and customer complaints a lot of will go a lot with us. You can reach us at **.

Original review: July 6, 2017

Hot H20 tank failed after 4.5 yrs. Rheem will not honor 7 yr. warranty because there is no longer a commercial dealer in my town. Beware of poor/no customer support with this company. Very disappointed, in what used to be a dependable company.

Original review: June 27, 2017

We installed a Rheem tankless water heater system in February 2017 and starting about a year ago, it has consistently failed to produce hot water. It appears to be a computer/software problem, as our plumber is able to reboot it, but we have not been able to do so following the manual. The reboot may last a few weeks, or 24 hours, and there seems to be no discernible trigger. Our next step will be to remove the system and replace it with traditional water heaters.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Had an entire new RHEEM 18 Seer HVAC System installed in late November, 2011. It has never worked properly. In particular the AC has been problematic from day one. Last year the diagnosis was a leaky coil that has not been replaced, to date, because the distributor did not honor the warranty and then could not locate a replacement part. Finally a replacement COIL was manufactured. Now the fan and motor needs to be replaced and I have to wait for the part. I have spent hundreds of dollars and countless hours trying to have working AC for over 6 years. In addition, I cannot get anybody at RHEEM HQ to take responsibility. DO NOT PURCHASE RHEEM EQUIPMENT, it's unreliable and the company does not even stock replacement parts! What a rip off.

Original review: June 11, 2017

We had a Rheem 5 ton A/C unit installed a couple of years ago. Our installer is a great person and has installed other units in our home. This unit, however, has never cooled. I have records of my many calls and emails to him. He has come to our home more times than I can count. He over engineered the duct work, etc to try to get this unit to cool but still, no luck. I called the supplier here in Nashville and he offered me a couple hundred dollars from their slush fund for dissatisfied customers (eye roll) to contribute toward my service fees that I am having to pay to get this NEW $7,000 unit serviced.

Recently, we had freon added but it continues to run 24/7 and can't cool the rooms. I am told that it is so much more efficient and that is one of the reasons it is not as effective as our old unit (which we wish we could get back). I have evidence that our electric bill has gone up significantly in the summer months since we have had this unit. Also, we have four A/C units in our home and yet, for these upstairs bedrooms, we have to run FANS in the summer and today I actually considered buying a separate room A/C unit for a couple of bedrooms so they are livable. THAT was when I realized that this unit is going to be removed.

We have decided to remove the unit entirely asap and then pursue legal recourse with Rheem. There is no way to contact them. Zero. They hide behind a cloak.

We are contacting an attorney in the morning and possibly, he will be able to reach Rheem. I can't help but wonder if there are more people out there with this same experience. I was told by either my service rep or the supplier that they realized that they had a problem and have changed a coil system or something. I need to go back through my notes. I am so frustrated with not only the hot upstairs but also for all of the time and effort that I have had to put into this.

Furthermore, I now have to pursue it all legally so that will require much time, etc. SO, BEFORE YOU INSTALL AN A/C, MAKE SURE YOU ASK YOUR INSTALLER IF HE HAS EVER HAD A PROBLEM IN THE PAST. We trusted our installer and more importantly the manufacturer - RHEEM- and they gave us a bad unit and will do nothing about it. My hope is that we can also charge them for service fees AND attorney fees. My email address is ** if you have this issue as well. This company needs to stand behind their products instead of behind their installers and suppliers.

Original review: June 9, 2017

My tankless LP gas water heater froze and burst a copper inlet water pipe. It should have gravity drained last fall, but crappy design somehow didn't allow it. So when I turned it on this spring, water was everywhere. I called Rheem to get a new copper tube. "It's an unavailable part. We don't stock it." Now what village idiot designs an appliance that is prone to freezing, fails, and you have no option but to throw it out and buy another? Like I would EVER buy another product from a loser company that designs and operates this way??? The managers and engineers should be ashamed. What fools. But fool me once, shame on me? Not in this case. Shame on them for being idiots and having no concern about their customers, who are the reason they are in business...

Original review: June 9, 2017

Yesterday, June 7, 2017, I purchased a Rheem top of the line, 50 gallon water heater from Home Depot on Capital Expressway in San Jose California. It worked for only an hour and then shut off and could not be restarted. My licensed contractor called the telephone number on the Rheem water heater 866-279-4566 as directed on the label attached to the water heater. He was treated unbelievably rudely and was instructed to take the entire burner mechanism out of the water heater which involved disconnecting all the internal gas lines and wires!!! We explained that it was illegal for us to do that since we had neither the tools or instructions to ensure that there was no gas leak upon reassembly. In response the Rheem technician stated, "Just do it and call me back." He then hung up on us.

I called back and spoke to another technician who was even more rude to me when I asked her for permission to return the defective heater to Home Depot. Her reply was, "No, that's your problem." When I reminded her that my unit was under warranty and that I had it installed only two hours earlier, she told me that a technician would call me within two business day to schedule an appointment. I then asked to speak to her supervisor to which she replied sarcastically, "Sure" and then she hung up on me.

I then called Home Depot in East Capital Expressway in San Jose California and spoke to the assistant manager there, Paul, who was just wonderful and told me to bring the defective unit back to the store for a replacement unit. Home Depot gets an A+++ from me for their responsible and outstanding service. As for Rheem, I believe criminal charges for fraud should be filed against that horrible company and am in the process of writing a letter to the Attorney General of the State of California. Rheem obviously has no interest in supporting the warranty they offer. I WILL NEVER AGAIN PURCHASE ANY RHEEM PRODUCT!

Original review: June 3, 2017

I purchased the biggest, best tankless hot water tank Rheem makes. After two years it starting leaking like a sieve, so I took it back to Home Depot where I bought it and they replaced it. Two years later same issue, same problem, but this time it quit totally. Efficiency is nice but the aggravation every two years is not worth it. Stay away from this junk!

Original review: June 1, 2017

Basically, I bought two Ruud/Rheem air conditioners from a local company and the 2011 air conditioner started to leak Freon as far as I can tell in 2016. Upon investigation and numerous calls I became aware that the company is selling units with copper coils (aluminum is the best choice) that are eaten through by the Freon and thus cause leaks in the coils which and in turn the unit shuts down.

The company denies that they are having significant problems and will not help me financially address the repair. So, at this time I am repairing my air conditioner from my own "Pocket" even though I bought the units in good faith along with the assurance that Ruud/Rheem was a trustworthy company, WHICH THEY HAVE PROVEN ARE NOT TO BE.

When I called the company, the customer service representative was in complete denial of the problem and I think they were trained to say certain pat answers to avoid liability. "I Highly suggest that everyone reading this write or call the FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION as I did and a rep will call to take your complaint and if enough people do so there will be a federal investigation based on the MAGNUSON ' MOSS WARRANTY ACT, look it up to educate oneself."

Original review: May 11, 2017

We hired Gilson through Home Depot in May 2011 to get this brand new Rheem cental AC system. It came with 5 years warranty but it started leaking the Freon gas within the first 4 years. Gilson was bought by AJ Perri so AJ Perri recharged the gas which cost me about $150. Then the Air Handler stopped working! They think that the motor went bad this time and it will cost roughly $1700 to $1800. I basically received a LEMON from Gilson and unfortunately AJ Perri is extremely expensive!!!! I tried contacting Rheem directly but they didn't respond to my complain either.

Original review: May 3, 2017

Purchased and had professional installation on a Rheem 40 gallon water heater with a 9 year warranty on 1/30/2015. This morning 5/3/2017 just a few months over 2 years the unit failed and needs to be replaced. Now I am out $500.00 labor and must pay the difference between today's price and the price I originally paid for the water heater... Spoke with customer service and of course they won't pay since I am over the two year parts and labor portion of the 9 year warranty. What a ripoff! They know they are making junk and are smart enough to limit the warranty so they are not responsible for labor when their inferior products fail prematurely. Don't get Rheemed like I did and stay clear of these poor quality products.

Original review: May 2, 2017

I bought a 40 gallons of Rheem water heater in late 2015 from Home Depot in Baldwin park, California and it has stop working since October 2016. This unit I bought for my rental property. The tenant complained about no hot water since last year. I called 800.279.4566 sticker labeled on w/ H but no human answer except the robot phone advertising. I also have other homeowner told me about the same issue of the same brand. Can anyone help? I also called Rheem tech support number but same advertising.

Original review: April 3, 2017

I purchased an entirely-new Rheem heating and cooling system in very early 2013 (paid in full 3/2/13), having the RASL048JEC compressor-condenser unit, and RGPE-07NBRQR air handler/gas furnace unit. The Rheem compressor is a microprocessor-controlled, dual compressor design. From summer of 2014 onward, this compressor will "latch up" and not self-recover from any disturbance of the AC power coming to my home: brief power outages or brownouts will cause it to stay off. Originally, just pulling the fuse cartridges for 2-3 minutes and re-inserting... would make the unit recover.

After 2015, this easy fix no longer works: now the compressor unit needs to have the cover removed such that the "technician" can do a "hard-reset" of the microcontroller boards by pressing circuit board switches to clear the (saved and displayed) error codes. Two weeks ago the A/C would not come on but "error code 21" was showing, and this was traced to a Freon leak in the ADP-manufactured evaporator coil. This is a known problem with Rheem A/C units having the original copper coil; my local A/C contractor, Alaskan Home Services, had to change out three (3) such coils... including mine on the same day. The new ADP coil appears to have the same model number as the old (copper) coil, but it has aluminum tubing rather than copper. Checking online, it appears that evap coil "failure" in Rheem units is a widespread problem; there is even an attempt at a class-action lawsuit on this issue.

Now yet another "new" problem has surfaced with the furnace / air handler unit: gas burner comes on, but the duct fan does not, resulting in an "error code 46" on the controller board for the air handler... and the burner shuts off. And this came after the evaporator coil repair. I am really upset that this high-cost system is so unreliable... especially since it was bought with reliability in mind. Additional issue: Alaskan now charges me a "diagnostic fee" for coming out... although my old paperwork on the extended PMA ("preventative maintenance agreement") was supposed to be all-inclusive contract, with no trip or travel time charges. Review of the PMA paperwork shows "diagnostic fee" ABSENT as a topic.

Original review: March 31, 2017

If you thinking getting a tankless water tank think about it. It can take up to 75 second to get hot water, if you do not have a recirculation loop in your house forget it. The Rheem does not have a buffer tank in the unit. You will have to get install a recirculation pump and a mini water tank beside to keep a certain quantity of hot water to be use until the tank warm up the rest of the water you need.

But if you go for Navien NPE series you will need just the recirculation loop. That brand have the buffer tank inside the unit. And you have a app to change the temperature of the water from anywhere is your house. If I knew that I would go for that one and the price is less than Rheem and better guarantee. Do not trust any sale rep who come to your home. DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU GO FOR ANY TANKLESS WATER TANK. AND KNOW YOUR HOUSE PLUMBING.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

Rheem hot water heaters are junk, don't waste your money! I purchase a new Rheem hot water heater less than five (5) months ago from Home Depot and it has already gone bad. We followed the proper channels and called Rheem customer service department and they figured out what they believed went bad on the unit. The customer service representative promised to overnight the part and told us how to replace the part.

We have now been six days without hot water as the rep forgot to overnight the part and it now the weekend and they cannot send it until Monday for Tuesday delivery. We called Home Depot for help at this point and their policy is after 90 days we own it and they cannot help us with it unless we want to pay them an additional $100.00 then they would try to help. Don't waste your money and time on this product and think twice about purchase a major buy at Home Depot! Going to give up and just throw away the Rheem and purchase a different brand! Junk, junk, junk!!!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

Just want to pass along my experience with a substantial investment which I should have researched better. On Jul. 18 2011 I purchased a Rheem combo of aircon, furnace, and water heater. The price was reasonable and I received tax credits. On Jan. 13 this year after 5 and a half years the blower motor went out on a night where it was 7 degrees. That cost me $574.00 account 10-year warr. void if you don't have annual maintenance. This is an easy way to not stand behind your product.

Sunday night furnace went out again. The crew couldn't repair the problem because it now needs a whole new circuitry board which is the brains of the unit. I'm the one who needs some new brains for buying this lemon. Rheem Corp. Office or website has no phone # to vent. I guess they got tired of all the whining. So I'll grin and bear it. You have to admit it is a brilliant strategy to sell and service poor quality units, the business never quits. At least I haven't had any trouble yet with the water heater or aircon like so many of you guys had. Knock on wood and wait it will come, lol. DON'T BUY RHEEM, YOU'LL GET RHEEMED!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I replaced my old hot water tank with a Rheem energy efficient model Guardian System RHGPRO50-40F. Same size as my former tank. When I fill my bath tub the hot water turns lukewarm after a few minutes. The licensed installer told me that this is the way that all new energy efficient hot water tanks work and that the next person to run hot water for a bath or shower would not experience this. Seriously? His suggestion was to run some hot water about 20 minutes before I filled the bath tub and when filling the bath to only turn the hot water faucet on the bath 1/2 way.

I tried that and the temperature of the water continued to decrease. So I have to stand by the tub as it fills constantly checking the water temperature and turning down the cold water to maintain the water temperature. I have turned up the temperature on the hot water heater to almost max. That had not solved the issue. I have tried to get this addressed or get an answer from someone and even asked if perhaps I needed a larger tank with no luck. If it is indeed working as designed how can they call this an energy efficient hot water heater when I have to waste water and keep the water at a much higher temperature than I did with the one that was not energy efficient and it was able to fill my bath tub.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

I have a 3 years old water heater and it broke from the inside. The warranty is supposedly 6 years old, but they are saying since the house changed ownership. Do not buy Rheem, this is a very bad quality!!! And they are very dishonest. They claim the warranty is 6 years, but what does it has to do if you change ownership? They should give a warranty to the water heater, not the owner. DO NOT BUY RHEEM. They are better alternatives.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

It amazes me that I cannot contact billing at Rheem. They owe me over $500 since December 8th, 2016. I still do not have check and it is January 19th, 2017. I cannot call and they do not respond to emails. I have to call support and have them call billing to find out. This is ridiculous service.

Rheem expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Rheem Manufacturing Company was founded in 1925 in Emeryville, CA. Today, it is the world’s only manufacturer that produces heating, cooling, water heating, pool/spa heating and commercial refrigeration products.  In addition to their other products, Rheem specializes in central air conditioners for homes and businesses.

• Easy to find: Rheem is sold by independent contractors around the world and at retailers nationwide. Easily find an independent Rheem contractor or retailer in your area through Rheem’s website.

• Homeowner resource center: Rheem’s online homeowner’s resource center is the best place to find all the information you need on local contractors, financing, rebates and warranties for all of your Rheem products.

• Heart of Comfort (HOC): Rheem’s HOC program was created as a way to unify all of Rheem’s charitable giving across the continent. The program is committed to helping communities across the country gain access to home comforts, including heating and cooling. Find out about events in your area and how you can help through Rheem’s website.

• Tax credit information: The federal tax program can be confusing, which is why Rheem website’s thorough and step-by-step explanation of how they work is so helpful. Find out what products qualify for credit, what your limit is and how long you have to take advantage of the tax credits.

• Financing: Rheem works with Synchrony Bank to offer consumers financing options for their home comfort products. Consumers can enjoy features such as convenient monthly payment options, competitive interest rates and an open credit line for future purchases.

• Best for: Homes and businesses that need central air conditioning.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs