2.6/5 (859 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Rheem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?

Original review: May 6, 2022

I purchased this unit as the platinum series is their top of the line model and has the highest efficiency rating for this style. It started to fail within the first week. It is failing now with an "open end switch" code more often than my 30+ year old water heater that I had replaced. Constant no hot water in the mornings as it fails overnight when I'm sleeping and can't babysit it. I DO NOT recommend this unit at all.

Original review: April 22, 2022

I have had nothing but problems from their product for the past 4 years since install 2/18! Now a manufacturing weld has a leak but they are telling me a unit that’s under warranty that the weld is not covered because it’s not a part. Their failed weld has caused the unit to leak all Freon! Resulting over $1700 in repairs! Terrible customer service and warranty save your money! If they will cost me $1700 I will cost them $1700 x 1000!

Get buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2022
    All right. Good day. Welcome to my review bout Rheem. And so I want you to know that we had a Rheem installed by a bad contractor that was highly rated. And ultimately, I can’t even tell you any more about it. But the truth is, the Rheem system itself was such a horrible system that it actually was defective. It had a leak in the major coolant line at the very bottom of the unit. And ultimately, multiple techs all claimed this was a manufacturer defect. Actually, two different reps. One actually didn’t have the ability to solder brass or something. But [I 0:00:34] had the second guy come out, and they’re actually a certified Rheem person here from Daytona Beach. And then he came out, and he did all the work and everything, and billed us 1,200 or $1,300, and then left us to believe that it was all gonna be covered under our warranty through the manufacturer. We were like 350 days into the first year when this thing completely crapped out. I want you to know that we filed with the BBB. Rheem did settle the complaint with us, and ultimately promised us $300. That’s all they’re gonna give us back. And told us pretty much [unclear 0:01:08], and they can’t do anything for us. So ultimately, we not only gave them $8,000 for this system and the installation, but we turned around and had to pay $1,400 or so to two different mechanics to get the damned thing fixed, and to get it repressurized all during a horrible heat wave. So ultimately, we are not fans of Rheem. And honestly, their lack of integrity in general is not keeping their BBB agreed upon. Thing is ridiculous. And honestly, the BBB, they’re paying the BBB to get their little A+ or whatever. So, it’s a big scam. And honestly, we can’t even get the BBB to get reinvolved in the thing because they consider it closed, even though they didn’t follow through and give us our money. What a shame. Don’t do business with…
    Original review: March 1, 2022

I purchased a Rheem 18 Seer Air Unit in 2020 and it only last 1.2 years. Rheem said since it was over 1 year old (by only 2 months), they could not replace the unit but would supply all parts. The company ordered a compressor, that took 3 weeks to receive. The compressor was bad from factory and another was ordered. Another 3 weeks and me paying $92 per hour. It took another 6 hours to replace the compressor as the technician said the metal used to manufacture was so cheap it would not hold solder. Again, the compressor was froze up and would not work.

I asked for another unit from Rheem but was denied. This was an $8,000 unit. I also spent another $800 on window units to cool the home while waiting for the compressors to arrive over a 6 week period in July/August 2021. I told the technician to take it out and get me another brand installed. I sent had a trucking company pick up the unit from my home in Pa. and deliver it to the President of Rheem's office in Atlanta, with an attached letter in hopes of a response and some compensation because of the defects in the unit. NEVER HEARD A WORD! Stay away from Rheem Products.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

Buying Rheem Seer 20 heat pump/ac unit is the worst investment of our lives. Three months after buying it quit and installer said it needed to replaced but under warranty. Waited 2 months and installed in December. Incredibly loud!!!! Sounds like a loud compressor running beside the house. If the outside temperature gets cold it is very inefficient warming the house. At -10C (14F) it couldn't keep the house warm and we had frozen pipes! Incredibly disappointed to have to live with this horrible investment. If I win the lottery this will be the first thing I replace.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

We have been trying to find out why our 3 ton 17 seer unit sounds like a freight train when it's operating. The installer says it's normal and refuses to do anything. The manufacturer takes NO RESPONSIBILITY. Terrible experience. Buy a different brand!!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

The condenser coil failed within 3 months of installation. Replacement under the warranty was a nightmare and took another 3 months to get. Then Rheem charged $800 to ship the item. The $250 labor reimbursement was nowhere near the cost to install the coil. Customer service is non-existent. If they ever had a good reputation that is now a thing of the past.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

My journey started July 2021 when my 13 month old Rheem water heater notified me that it had detected a leak. My first call to their customer service line was exactly like everyone who has had the misfortune to need to call them. No one picks up, hours of wait times, numerous transfers, and calls dropped at their end. This sets an ominous tone for what every customer is going to experience with Rheem "customer service". After more than 6 weeks, they finally sent out a technician to diagnose the "leak". Obviously, it was not a leak. After replacing the leak sensor and the control board, the technician determined that the water heater was bad and should be replaced under warranty (which states that the unit and all labor are fully covered in this time frame).

Before the technician left my home, I was on the phone to Rheem. The technician heard the music playing on my phone, as I had already been stuck in the call cue, and stated "oh, I am very familiar with being forced to listen to that music for far too long". Once a Rheem CS rep finally answered, they had me perform some additional troubleshooting steps despite what the tech that they hired had deduced. In the end, their CS rep stated that they agreed that my unit needed to be replaced at their cost, since it was still fully covered under warranty.

However, this is where Rheem has proven that their intent is to make sure that all warranty claims are made so difficult that their customers will give up trying to get their due satisfaction. Since their recognition of my valid warranty claim and statement that they would honor it by replacing my unit at their cost, I have had to be constantly contacting them because they will not take the initiative to make sure that they keep me informed, their CS reps have argued with me every step of the way, I have had to make all of the arrangements and suggestions of how to resolve the issues that they have created with their business practices, and, as an added bonus, I had to purchase a new unit on my own dime, while hoping that Rheem would honor its warranty contract with me and their promise to send me a check for the replacement unit.

The unit has was replaced in November and I have been waiting for the supposed check for 38 days. Rheem blames the post office and they refuse to overnight the check. My recommendation to anyone thinking about making a purchase from Rheem is to think again. If, God forbid, you ever need customer service from them, you will never receive it because this company despises having to ever have to provide service to any of their customers as evinced by their approach to the entire process.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

Hands down the worst customer service I have ever had to deal with in my lifetime. Not only do they have you holding on the phone for hours and when I mean hours I mean whole hours, they can't even assist or communicate reimbursement procedure effectively. After being told by one representative that he would be sending an email with how to submit for reimbursement within hours, I had to call back after a few days to advise I did not receive such email. Another rep advised the reason I didn't receive the email was that they did not have the necessary voucher to send...so why not say that from the first call or someone reach out me to advise instead of me waiting on an email that was never to arrive. As we speak I'm literally on hold for what seems like another hour just to speak to a manager. P.s. This is all due to a defective part on a water heater that was installed less than year ago.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

Purchased a Rheem 40 gallon water heater back in September 2020. Water heater stopped working November 2021, one month out of the year labor warranty, go figure. I’ve been waiting days for the new part, with no straight answer. If you want dependable equipment go with A.O. Smith for your water heater, and Trane for your heating and cooling. I have been an installer for over 10 years. And nothing but problems with all Rheem equipment, and replacement parts.

Rheem author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rheem Manufacturing Company was founded in 1925 in Emeryville, CA. Today, it is the world’s only manufacturer that produces heating, cooling, water heating, pool/spa heating and commercial refrigeration products.  In addition to their other products, Rheem specializes in central air conditioners for homes and businesses.

• Easy to find: Rheem is sold by independent contractors around the world and at retailers nationwide. Easily find an independent Rheem contractor or retailer in your area through Rheem’s website.

• Homeowner resource center: Rheem’s online homeowner’s resource center is the best place to find all the information you need on local contractors, financing, rebates and warranties for all of your Rheem products.

• Heart of Comfort (HOC): Rheem’s HOC program was created as a way to unify all of Rheem’s charitable giving across the continent. The program is committed to helping communities across the country gain access to home comforts, including heating and cooling. Find out about events in your area and how you can help through Rheem’s website.

• Tax credit information: The federal tax program can be confusing, which is why Rheem website’s thorough and step-by-step explanation of how they work is so helpful. Find out what products qualify for credit, what your limit is and how long you have to take advantage of the tax credits.

• Financing: Rheem works with Synchrony Bank to offer consumers financing options for their home comfort products. Consumers can enjoy features such as convenient monthly payment options, competitive interest rates and an open credit line for future purchases.

Rheem Company Information