Find an Appliances partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Rheem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?

Original review: March 24, 2021

We had an old Rheem furnace that worked great for 30 years so when it had a moisture rust problem and kept going out, we looked for another Rheem, and it was a little tricky to find an installer who dealt with them in our rural area, but we did eventually. In the meantime, we did get quotes on all major systems available from a handful of vendors, and was surprised that many of the other systems cost twice as much but got worse reviews. Our newer Rheem furnace has been working great now for 10 years with no problems (we did discover there are a pair of hidden button-like protrusions that you can use to re-set the furnace if it goes out due to a sudden surge or power outage, or if something is blocking the intake and it activates an emergency shut down, which we used once).

A dishonest technician could take advantage of someone who didn't know that was there. We should never have the same rusting with moisture and cracking problem again because the new part is rust-proof with a lifetime guarantee. Because our 1860's basement has little room, and new vents would be difficult to cut in, we couldn't easily have the air conditioning part of the furnace installed, and just use our window air conditions which work fine. Although the furnace is great, I would be hesitant to buy a Rheem air conditioning unit due to the many problems I have read about others experiencing where they get corrosion and/or mold in the coils, and I also probably would not buy the Rheem water heater as there are a lot of complaints about that, unless a newer model becomes available that addresses these issues.

Original review: June 14, 2020

Mine is about 10 years old and it’s fine. I haven’t had a problem except last season it needed Freon. Mine was installed by Greg Hookenshoven Heating and Air Conditioning. Great service. He comes quickly when called for service. Can’t say enough.

Get buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2020

Rheem is a good product, well made, and has a great track record. Parts are easy to get and it is easy to repair when needed even though that’s rarely. The life span of a Rheem is 20-25 years. If I had to purchase another heating and air unit it would be a Rheem.

Original review: June 12, 2020

Love the system. Bought a 5 ton 20 SEER Heat Pump. Unit is very quiet, runs on low most all of the time. The house is in LA (Lower Alabama) 30 mile from the Gulf of Mexico. Love the ECONET system. I am able to control the heat pump and my water heater from a app on phone. Helps save money as you can control the temperatures of both with the app when you go off or temperatures needs change with a large group of people in the house. System lets you know when it is time to clean or replace air filters.

Original review: June 7, 2020

I bought a new home in 1984 which had a 4 ton Rheem central air conditioner system which ran for 20 years. Updated with a Rheem 5 ton system ten years ago and haven’t had a problem to date. I also recently replaced my water heater with a Rheem which is very efficient. I highly recommend their product line.

Original review: May 4, 2021

New 5 ton Rheem installed 2018. Turned on for spring 2021, called installer, coil corroded at bottom and freon leaked out. Coil under warranty. Must pay for labor and freon. Estimate $650. Did not know Rheem had coil issues or would have never purchased! Will not purchase another Rheem product.

Original review: April 22, 2021

We purchased a home in Florida 10 yrs ago for when we retired. We purchased a brand new complete Rheem AC unit from Heavenly Air in our town in 2012. We were told they would register it and we would have a 10 year warranty. We finally retired and moved in last fall. So actually the unit was never used on a yearly basis, just while we were here for 2 week vacations twice a year. It was set for 85 degrees any other time. The unit stopped throwing cold air. We called Heavenly Air. Yup, out of business and the company that took over will was no help. We called an air conditioner service they said 1200.00 to replace the coil. They reached out to Rheem, Rheem said it was never registered. I don’t have proof as I trusted Heavenly Air. The original manufacturing date sticker on the unit proves it's not even 10 yrs old. So, please consider this if you are thinking about purchasing a Rheem system.

Original review: April 11, 2021

Every time I leave for over the road, I come back house is cold, when it warms up, I shut it off, then need heat and nothing, it's always sensors, gas valve sticks. The furnace gets new filter every month, dust out top of furnace, and plagued with issues, oh and the air conditioner, when it cycles off sounds like it gears are being stripped. That's normal after a year of whinnying, Never again will I buy Rheem. 96% efficiency my butt. My hydro goes up while I wait for repair guy.

Original review: March 24, 2021

Purchased a water heater 5/26/20 and it stopped working within 10 months. Called company and they stated that a part in water heater was faulty and they would replace it. They sent me an e-mail that I was able to pay up to $450 for product and installation. Needless to say, the contractors that I spoke to, laughed at that amount. Plus, I could not get any of their contractors out for at least another 2-5 days. I called back and spoke with a supervisor who said I could take it back to store and get replacement. I told her I did not have receipt but I did purchase date and product registration. She said that would not be a problem because they have the ability to look that up in their system. The store only prorated the product.

I called again and spoke to another supervisor, Mike #**. I told him that the price difference it ended up costing me was $65.42. He said they would not be able to reimburse me because I didn't have original receipt. I told him that the supervisor I talked to previously said it would not cost me anything. I exchanged the water heater for the EXACT same water heater and they would not reimburse me that difference. Their product did not last 10 months and they obviously do not care about their customers. They do not back up their products. DO NOT BUY!!!

Original review: March 18, 2021

Compressor on my Rheem unit serial # 7842W281100514 failed 9 years into a 10 year warranty. Oil leaked from compressor into lines destroying entire system...coil, condenser, transfer lines. Got 2 estimates to replace and both were appx $5500. Rheem said they would give me $570 only to compensate for their faulty compressor but after spending half of summer 2020 with no a/c whatsoever, and countless hours on the phone with two different Reps, I have received nothing. Comically, the last correspondence I received was a rep explaining I'd receive the $570 after I paid the installer in full myself. When I questioned this and asked how this would be done procedurally, they went dark...have not heard from them in months. I have literally spent 20-25 hours trying to recoup their measly $570 offer. At this point, I do not want another Rheem system and am pursuing alternatives.

Rheem author review by ConsumerAffairs

Rheem Manufacturing Company was founded in 1925 in Emeryville, CA. Today, it is the world’s only manufacturer that produces heating, cooling, water heating, pool/spa heating and commercial refrigeration products.  In addition to their other products, Rheem specializes in central air conditioners for homes and businesses.

• Easy to find: Rheem is sold by independent contractors around the world and at retailers nationwide. Easily find an independent Rheem contractor or retailer in your area through Rheem’s website.

• Homeowner resource center: Rheem’s online homeowner’s resource center is the best place to find all the information you need on local contractors, financing, rebates and warranties for all of your Rheem products.

• Heart of Comfort (HOC): Rheem’s HOC program was created as a way to unify all of Rheem’s charitable giving across the continent. The program is committed to helping communities across the country gain access to home comforts, including heating and cooling. Find out about events in your area and how you can help through Rheem’s website.

• Tax credit information: The federal tax program can be confusing, which is why Rheem website’s thorough and step-by-step explanation of how they work is so helpful. Find out what products qualify for credit, what your limit is and how long you have to take advantage of the tax credits.

• Financing: Rheem works with Synchrony Bank to offer consumers financing options for their home comfort products. Consumers can enjoy features such as convenient monthly payment options, competitive interest rates and an open credit line for future purchases.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team