Rheem

Compare Appliances

Research top Appliances recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I replaced my old hot water tank with a Rheem energy efficient model Guardian System RHGPRO50-40F. Same size as my former tank. When I fill my bath tub the hot water turns lukewarm after a few minutes. The licensed installer told me that this is the way that all new energy efficient hot water tanks work and that the next person to run hot water for a bath or shower would not experience this. Seriously? His suggestion was to run some hot water about 20 minutes before I filled the bath tub and when filling the bath to only turn the hot water faucet on the bath 1/2 way.

I tried that and the temperature of the water continued to decrease. So I have to stand by the tub as it fills constantly checking the water temperature and turning down the cold water to maintain the water temperature. I have turned up the temperature on the hot water heater to almost max. That had not solved the issue. I have tried to get this addressed or get an answer from someone and even asked if perhaps I needed a larger tank with no luck. If it is indeed working as designed how can they call this an energy efficient hot water heater when I have to waste water and keep the water at a much higher temperature than I did with the one that was not energy efficient and it was able to fill my bath tub.

I have a 3 years old water heater and it broke from the inside. The warranty is supposedly 6 years old, but they are saying since the house changed ownership. Do not buy Rheem, this is a very bad quality!!! And they are very dishonest. They claim the warranty is 6 years, but what does it has to do if you change ownership? They should give a warranty to the water heater, not the owner. DO NOT BUY RHEEM. They are better alternatives.

It amazes me that I cannot contact billing at Rheem. They owe me over $500 since December 8th, 2016. I still do not have check and it is January 19th, 2017. I cannot call and they do not respond to emails. I have to call support and have them call billing to find out. This is ridiculous service.

Last Spring 2016, I had a contractor install air conditioning in my 2 story house beach house. It was not possible to run ducts on the first floor so Fujitsu ductless was installed and works beautifully. Unfortunately, on the second floor I had central air conditioning installed and paid additional to upgrade to the Ruud brand. Big Mistake! The contractor had problems upon problems with the equipment. Because the equipment did not work, the compressor had to be installed twice and the coil/air handler needed to be installed three times. In summary, the contractor wasn't happy with all the time he spent and wasn't paid for and the installation wasn't finished until mid summer ruining my summer.

April 2014 I purchased a Richmond (made by Rheem) LP tankless water heater to replace a 15 year old Paloma that had finally sprung a leak. Purchase cost was $800 at the Rapid City Menards, I did not purchase an extended warranty. January 2017 I noticed a leak of water under the Rheem/Richmond heater. Upon removing the cover I discovered the heat exchange plenum had failed and was leaking water into the exhaust fan housing and ultimately into the electrical connections in the bottom of the heater.

I called Richmond which ultimately ended up at RHEEM. They wanted pictures of the unit and the location of the install. I submitted pictures and instantly RHEEM claimed improper installation. I have read a lot of other reviews of dissatisfied customers who have experienced Rheem's claim of improper installation. Installation claim is that we must use their version of the "Concentric" piping to properly vent and intake outside air. My specific case vents the exhaust perfectly well, however living in a frozen portion of the US, I fail to see where drawing sub zero air down 20 ft of pipe with a warm air pipe traveling inside this cold air, thus producing condensation, and ultimately frozen ice in the upper regions of this pipe, will produce less stress on the machine than drawing ambient (60 degree F) air from 12 inches away.

Regardless they claim "improper installation" and refuse to repair, or warranty the water heater. This is a workmanship/engineering flaw of the gaskets at connection points in the heating plenum. Not a fresh air issue. I try to buy American, but they plainly admitted to me that the engineers were not available for consultation due to their residence in Japan. I live in a remote location and cannot be burdened with a sole supplier. Lowe's has to order a unit in, taking a week. Home Depot has a tiny unit on the shelf that won't even come close to the 150000 btu rating that this Rheem was. And Menards is the only one with more than one on the shelf...sadly they are both Rheem. So I'm forced to take it in the rear with another $800 Rheem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?

We purchased a new A/C unit on March 12, 2014 for a secondary home in Fla. This unit is not a rental. It is used by us a few months a year. We purchased the property a few years before and it still had the original a/c, so we decided to be safe and buy a new one. MISTAKE! We used a local A/C company in that area and purchased a RHEEM along with the semi annual maintenance contract. We recently made a trip to Fla and found that the a/c wasn't working and that it also froze up causing wet floors.

We called our A/C company. The cost was 500.00 to come out on Monday 1/2 (a holiday). We were only there a few days and needed to get it fixed to prevent mold/mildew. They needed to put a dye in the system to see if there was a leak. Well there were multiple leaks. So for an addtl 586.00 for labor they would fix it. Their warranty is a joke! Rheem knows that their products are defective and they only last a short period. They should have to pay for the labor to fix their defective product. I wish we could bond together and go after them for a selling faulty products and hold them accountable for costs associated with their defects. This is the United States of America, we deserve more.

I purchased a 40 gallon Rheem water heater in August, 2016. This past Tuesday, no hot water. Plumber came and replaced the bad Thermo coupler. Tonight came home to no hot water. Plumber came, said it is a faulty gas valve. He gave me a choice-back-order a replacement part for $300.00 and wait days to get it and add in labor or it would be cheaper to replace the water heater. That is what I opted for. I am wildly disappointed in that Rheem unit. It was nothing but trouble from day one!

I purchased this 38 gal water heater and installed it in August. In February the water heater failed. I called Rheem at that time and they wanted me to diagnose the problem. After a week of screwing around they sent out a tech and it was repaired. In December same thing, water heater failed again. Runaround on the phone and again they want me to work on water heater. Said water heater is out of labor warranty. Their parts are continue to fail. They should stand behind their product but don't. My serial number is MO41516904.

We bought our system a little over 6 yrs ago and we had to replace the blower motor twice since we got it. At a cost of 600.00 a pop. Rheem never pitch in a penny towards repairs. Even went the motor went out under their coverage period.

I bought a 75 gallons water heater and it stopped working in 6 months. Contacted Rheem to have it fixed. And they sent me replacement parts while claimed that my labor warranty is not available (on the heater's specification and receipt stated 1 year labor and 6 years parts warranty). They took almost a month to have this issue solved with multiple parts sent. 6 months later, the heater failed again. This time, they want me to get a multimeter and test each components to find out which one fail so they can send me that part. My family is without heated water for another month during this cold winter. I will not buy another Rheem or company related products after this horrible experience.

Purchased brand new 5 ton rheem a/c for my home 5/14/2014. The unit is junk. Replaced so far coil, motor, freon, etc. My wife has heart disease and we've paid out so much $$ and now 2 years later we are still without a/c here in port st lucie, fl. We live in a community of over 2000 homes many, many of which have had same issues with their Rheem a/c. They are junk, junk, junk.

My new home has a Rheem RP14 installed. It's terrible. At 32 degrees it produces almost no heat. As a comparison, I lived in a home for over 5 years and had a 2009 model year American Standard base model/builder grade heat pump that performed much better. With the American Standard HP, it would produce heat down to the mid to low 20's before tapping out. At 32 degrees, a heat pump should be producing a decent amount of heat but this Rheem is really bad!!

I bought this new Rheem Package Air Conditioner in 2009. It worked well till 2016. In the past 8 weeks it has proved to have shoddy workmanship at 2 of its soldered joints on the low side. One time in 9/25/2016 I lost all the refrigerant because of a poor solder joint. It was repaired and pressure tested for other leaks. On 11/9/2016 another solder joint cracked from shoddy workmanship from Rheem. The costs to have these 2 repairs were in excess of $700.00. The Rheem company states they will only warranty parts that are defective and will NOT warranty their workmanship. I asked numerous times why they would not warranty their "shoddy" workmanship. The customer service representative would NOT answer my question. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. They want to sell but they do not want to stand by their product due to their poor and shoddy workmanship.

My Ruud furnace had its blower board replaced two years ago and shorted out again on a furnace that is only 14 years old (ave life approximates 20 years). Additionally, the inducer motor has failed too, making it difficult to justify the repair expense versus shelling out for a totally new furnace. I reached out to Ruud customer service and they basically said "oh well, too bad". They had no sympathy, offered up no solutions, and had no interest in persuading me to buy a new Ruud or Rheem furnace. They did not care at all whether I was a customer or not. Absolutely unforgivable way to treat people that spend thousands on their machines. Will never buy Ruud/Rheem again.

I purchased a Rheem Air Conditioner in 2010. I have replaced the compressor, the coil and most recently the motor! It's still under warranty, so they ordered a replacement parts but I have paid over $1500.00 in labor. The first problem happened only 3 months after the unit was installed! Now my upstairs unit is doing the same exact thing. I called Rheem but was told there is nothing they can do about the labor but the parts were free under the warranty. Very frustrating. What can we do? Inferior materials?

I purchased a Rheem Air Conditioner in 2010. I have replaced the compressor two times and now the coil has blow out. My air conditioning company came out Sunday and removed the cover and the whole inside was covered with oil. It's still under warranty, so they ordered a replacement coil on Monday and I received a call today that it is on back order from Rheem and they don't know when they will receive it. I called Rheem customer service and was told to call my service company and have them call a district supervisor. I live in Florida and it is getting a little cooler (80's during the day). It's still hot without an air conditioner. I've been reading other reviews and it seems that I'm not alone. THIS WILL BE MY LAST RHEEM PRODUCT.

Rheem is horrible, if an HVAC contractor tries to sell you one get rid of him as well. I installed 3 units at my house in 2012 and after a year I had to replace an evaporator coil on one unit. After 2 years all three evaporator coils were leaking and need to be replaced as well as numerous other problems. Rheem covers parts but not labor, every visit has been at least $500. The comfort control 2 (Rheem Thermostat RHC-TST551CMMS) is not programmable to a laymen, they don't give you a manual. Try to find any information for Rheem online other than to fix one or buy one. There is none, they sweep the internet so you call the repair facility nearest you so they can come out and charge you to repair it.

An out of town family member who owns an HVAC company relayed to me that they are the least dependent and he loves them. Rheem has washed their hands to even talking to the consumer as well. Try calling Rheem, good luck. They tell you they have never had issue, they're not even sure they make AC units if you have a problem. Try looking for manuals on their website, there are none. Not even to program the thermostat. They throw codes constantly and guess what, call the technician to reprogram it's $100.00 plus to visit and $$$ to fix it, that's if they are telling you the truth. The company has had issues with all of their products from water heaters to AC units and they deny ever having an issue. They are unscrupulous and their product is pure junk. I would go on but, it's not worth it other than to warn you, a $20K home improvement has become a total liability.

Bought two units. One failed 11 months in. I have spent days and hundreds of dollars replacing what they told me. Every-time, to find out it wasn't that. I even got up to a level 3 supervisor. Worst support in history. They are doing everything they can to not pay for a repair. I'm done with them at this point.

Rheem Heat Pump installed 4 years ago (2012) has been nothing but problems. Three (3) times for a board, once for Freon, and now for a contractor. Serviced (5) times in (4) years. Do not buy heat pump because compressor runs year round.

I purchased a new unit July 2010. Last year it was low on freon and the unit was charged, no problems could be found. Had the same problem, twice this year. The second time around they found that the oil was leaking, a common problem with unit. The standard warranty is 5 years, but if you register the unit, which I am sure I did, but Rheem doesn't seem to have any record of it. So here I am at 6 yrs and 2 months with a failed unit, on a problem is very aware of and they are very unwilling to do something about it. They said if I would have registered the unit, which I did, they would cover it for 10 years, not 5 years. Basically they are counting on the consumer not registering thinking most problems won't show up in five years so they don't have to stand behind their products, especially on a known problem. A strategy that helps the bottom line, but certainly screws the consumer.

My recommendation, is never buy a product from these people. I bought this one because I had previously purchased their products, and had no problems, but it appears the company's commitment to customers no longer exists, even when this is a problem admit happens. Look elsewhere for your next heat and air unit. Very dissatisfied and disappointed. Thank you.

At 5 years, the Rheem A/C evaporator coil failed, IE is leaking coolant fluid, aka freon. Fortunately it was still under warranty and I received a replacement coil (copper, which is important; stay tuned), although it cost me $400 for labor as well as about $300 for freon recharges before the replacement. Now, two years later the replacement is leaking. My A/C service company told me that Rheem has a class action suit against them for knowing that the copper design was not compatible with the newer R-410A higher pressure fluid and that they've known for years that they leak, sometimes after less than a year.

We checked with Ferguson (wholesaler) and they said the replacement was not covered past 1 year. So now I'm faced with having to pay an additional $1500 or so for a replacement coil (which will be made of aluminum and "not" be made by Rheem). This should not be and if Rheem was a company who cared about its customers they would take care of this. Needless to say I'll never buy or recommend Rheem again.

We bought a new Rheem heat pump and air handler. 2 months after the 12 month warranty expired we had to have the unit recharged and again 13 months later. We are responsible for the recharge costs along with the labor cost to replace the faulty coil. Rheem knows this is a faulty coil but will not cover the labor. Also the coil in the air handler is leaking and I am concerned about the dangers of my family breathing this for 2 years. Rheem said they didn't think there was reason to worry. This system has been a disappointment from the start and I want everyone to know what a poor quality product this company makes. Don't waste your money on this product from a company that doesn't care after the sale.

2 new units end of summer season. Used 2 weeks then fall season arrived. The following season arrived and unit did not work properly. Contacted Ferguson in Chicago, they gave me the run around that it was impossible for compressor to not be working. We had it removed, replaced and pushed Ferguson to take as warranty return. Now, I only have 1 yr warranty and $300 additional repair bill because this was a bad unit out of the box. Regret my purchase some since I bought 2 3 ton units.

Purchased this brand new AC from my air conditioner specialist not quite 2 years ago and have had a few problems that make me NOT so happy. First it was the compressor failing which had to be replaced, under warranty. Great but the labor was not under warranty so that cost me $175 which doesn't sound like a lot but when you shelled out $4500 for a new AC just under 2 years previously it is a big deal. He installs that and puts some fluid that was recommended into a valve and off he went.

The AC worked for about 3 hours before it went bad -- froze up. He came over in the evening and looked at it, and said now it was the valve that he had gotten a service alert on. Although he put in some fluid as they described apparently it needs to be replaced again. That is under warranty BUT over $500 in labor and can't do it then. Will have to come back and do it. So $675 worth of work on a NEW air conditioner and 4 nights without AC in August in Florida. Had to move my pets out of the house with me for FOUR nights. Not good!!!

Had to replace our original HVAC which was 13 yrs. old. Went thru Home Depot and they suggested RHEEM and was installed by ARS. It didn't work right away, and I have to tell them that we were moving into a hotel since they guaranteed that it will be done within 24 hrs. or they will move us into a hotel. Well, they worked overtime the next day so they didn't have to move us. Installed August 2013 and we had cooling problems April 2016, HVAC repairer said low on freon, warned us that it might be leaking. June 2016, cooling problems again, same HVAC repairer came and said it was blocked drain and suggested we avail of their maintenance plan and we did.

August 22, 2016 cooling problems again. HVAC repairer came at night and concluded that coil has a leak and was 90% sure it was the coil inside because the outside unit coils didn't have any signs of leakage. For this visit we paid $177 labor and freon refill. So far we have spent $700 for the three visits. To replace the coil it will cost $500 plus and that is already with our membership discount. This RHEEM brand is a piece of junk and reading through all other reviews, I'm so mad that I didn't do my research and trusted the Home Depot specialist. The only consolation I have is that I took a maintenance plan so at least I get a 15% discount every time they have to do repairs.

Please don't purchase a rheem heating/ac unit. I purchased a Rheem unit in November 2014 and my ac unit has already gone out twice this summer. I have been dealing with this problem since April through August 2016. I have had an ac tech person come to my residence on several occasion trying to find out why my ac unit doesn't hold the freon that was put in come to find out it was leaking freon in the coil; the ac tech guy ordered a new coil which I had to pay for the shipping cost and after installation on the new coil it still leaked freon only at a faster level. The freon would go out after 24 hours of being put in the system.

I spent a $3500 on this unit only to be a piece of junk, save yourself the time and trouble on the product and don't buy at all. I have already emailed the company they called but no return call at this time. I don't understand why Consumer Affairs doesn't have this product or company pay for the problems it is causing if you read the reviews many people are going through the same problem. This company should not be selling products at all they are already in trouble for selling faulty water heaters.

I have a Rheem HVAC system. It is 6 years old. Furnace goes out every winter, AC goes out every summer. Although the parts are covered under warranty, I have to pay labor. Additionally, I have to sweat or freeze until it is fixed. Contacted customer support, no help or empathy whatsoever. Don't get RHEEMED by this company.

Our hot water heater went out and our plumber installed a new one. It would not continuously heat water. Got it traded out for another. Same Problem. For 2 months now, I have to go clear down stairs and reset the system for it to heat water. Now Rheem authorized another plumber to come out and diagnose the issue. The new plumber is saying we need to rip out our 2 inch vent pipe and put in 3 inch vent pipe. Why would we not be told up front this system requires 3 inch versus the 2 inch that houses only 10 years old or so all have!!!

Very disappointed with Rheem ( 2-ton 15 Seer HVAC). After a 1 1/2, Unit leaked freon and wasn't covered by a warranty. Could not contact a customer service representative to help. This is me first Rheem, and it will be my last.

Rheem purchased 10/2014. First call started Spring 2015. Pilot light kept going out. Get up to go to work - cold water. Called Rheem warranty number which by the way are the most dismissive, unfriendly and disrespectful customer service employees l have ever spoken with. Their CEO and CFO should really try using their customer service department. My first call the employee said it must be dust or dirt. l ask why this never happened to my old less expensive water unit - no answer. Months later same pilot problem - doesn't stay lit. Second call girl tells me it can't be the unit. l must have a gas leak or something about cubic feet of air in my garage. She told me l would need to call my local Pacific Gas and Electric Company which l did. Everything was good .

NO GAS LEAKS and heater was in a space off the ground, with plenty of cubic ft. Third call l get a male employee. By now my unit is going out 2-3 times a week. He was the rudest one yet. They are sending me a new pilot ignition part, still not received. However even under warranty, it's up to me to find a contracted Rheem plumber. They couldn't even recommend someone to call. l ended up calling Home Depot which gave me a local number. If l was a buyer for Home Depot l would stop all purchases of any Rheem water heaters from my own experience along with all these other reviews. Home Depot is too respected of a company to sell this poorly made product, with employees who could care less about your customers. WAITING FOR HOT WATER serial # rhunm381412412 model # xg40t09hn3800. Rheem 40 gal water heater pd 10/07/2014.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rheem Manufacturing Company was founded in 1925 in Emeryville, CA. Today, it is the world’s only manufacturer that produces heating, cooling, water heating, pool/spa heating and commercial refrigeration products.  In addition to their other products, Rheem specializes in central air conditioners for homes and businesses.

• Easy to find: Rheem is sold by independent contractors around the world and at retailers nationwide. Easily find an independent Rheem contractor or retailer in your area through Rheem’s website.
  • Homeowner resource center: Rheem’s online homeowner’s resource center is the best place to find all the information you need on local contractors, financing, rebates and warranties for all of your Rheem products.
  • Heart of Comfort (HOC): Rheem’s HOC program was created as a way to unify all of Rheem’s charitable giving across the continent. The program is committed to helping communities across the country gain access to home comforts, including heating and cooling. Find out about events in your area and how you can help through Rheem’s website.
  • Tax credit information: The federal tax program can be confusing, which is why Rheem website’s thorough and step-by-step explanation of how they work is so helpful. Find out what products qualify for credit, what your limit is and how long you have to take advantage of the tax credits.
  • Financing: Rheem works with Synchrony Bank to offer consumers financing options for their home comfort products. Consumers can enjoy features such as convenient monthly payment options, competitive interest rates and an open credit line for future purchases.
  • Best for Homes and businesses that need central air conditioning.

Compare Air Conditioners