Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
3.62/5

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

361 Rheem Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 30, 2019

I bought two units in 2010 and have constant problems. Both are under warranty for parts. Every six months there is another problem. Replaced coils, replaced Freon on both units from leaking coils, replaced compressor, replaced regulator switch, replaced capacitors. Each time it costs about $450.00 = $1000 so I have spent over $2000,00 in the last 9 years for these pieces of JUNK. CLass Action Lawsuit needs to happen. Why do I have to pay the labor to constantly replace parts that are under warranty? Company should stand behind their products.

Original review: March 26, 2019

We purchased a 10-gallon water heater for my office just to run the DW and hot water for the sink - no biggie just 4 people in the office. Called Rheem. Gave them all of the info. Told them where it was and they said basically ** you since you did not put it in your house, your warranty has been downgraded from a six-year warranty to a 1-year warranty. DO NOT EVER BUY ANYTHING WITH THE NAME RHEEM ON IT EVER.

Get expert buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2019

My mother in law purchased a Rheem unit. 6 1/2 years later it needed a complete overhaul. But was serviced serviced 4 times prior. They will not work with you and the warranty! So if they can’t stand behind there product I strongly recommend somewhere else before purchasing their product. She is a 72 year old woman and being taken advantage of! This is just awful!

Original review: March 3, 2019

We purchased a home in 2014 that was fully rehabbed before its resale. The previous owner installed a pair of Rheem/Ruud electric heat pumps for the first and second floor heating and cooling. (It looks like the manufacturing date on both was 2012). I had problems with the first floor unit malfunctioning last summer. A heating and cooling place examined it and determined it had some wiring that shorted out. They rewired it successfully and got it going again.

'

Now, this last winter (2018), I started getting huge electric bills and realized the heat pump was running almost continuously. The cause was eventually determined to be a leaking coil in the air handler in the basement. Since we're not the original purchaser of the HVAC equipment, none of it is covered under the factory warranty. But the installer advised that these Rheem/Ruud coils are leaking on almost all of the units made around that 2012 time-frame, and it's throwing good money after bad to spend the $1000+ to repair it, vs buying a whole new system. At this point, I'm just waiting for the 2nd. floor unit to fail as well...

Original review: March 2, 2019

I replaced my 15 yr old HVAC unit with a Rheem about 3 years ago. Since then, I've had the fan unit outside replaced in yr 2 as it was unbalanced. Not from misuse and not from damage. That leaves quality. Now in yr 3 I have a blower unit that is acting up and goes into alarm so frequently we'll turn the system off at night as there is no way to suppress the alarm. The tech said that the control unit in the motor senses hesitation in the motor and throws the alarm. When the blower doesn't start a second alarm is thrown for the main limit switch. A061F and T022F are the codes shown on the EcoNet t-stat display. The system is still under warranty but I'll end up paying over $300 in labor to replace another major component due to another quality issue. My old system wore out but never had issues like this. I would advise anyone NOT to buy a Rheem. Hope their QA people read this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I purchased a Rheem 4 ton heat pump in Aug 2015. I've had a service contract since I purchased it. Last October I had to add freon to the unit when serviced. Now I have a complete leak of the system. They say it could $1000. repair even with parts covered. They don't cover any labor even though I kept service contract on unit. This unit is three years old and faulty. Don't buy a Rheem.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Had the unit installed in July 2016. The unit was on a maintenance program. After two and a half years leaks developed in the air handlers allowing the coolant to escape. Although the air handler is covered by warranty the labor to replace it is over $300.00. I was told this is not uncommon for this unit. Buyer beware.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

We have a 4 yr old unit that has failed twice, one of those failures was the motor. Parts are in warranty, homeowner pays for labor, we have spent over $1,000 in these repairs. I contacted the manufacturer, they have an individual that you don’t get to talk to (distributor coordinator) that will decide if the labor expenses will be refunded. We never expected to have a 4 yr old unit that would need repairs. Do not invest in Rheem. I had to put 1 star because the system required it, other it would have been none.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I would give zero stars if I could. To make a long story tolerable to read, I purchased a new unit to the tune of over 3,000.00 with a 10-year warranty. I signed all the papers and used my own credit card to purchase. The warranty document states the Warranty is to the Purchaser- in 4-5 different places it states this. Now they will not honor my warranty because the house was not in my name at the time of installation. (I inherited the house) They claim they meant Owner, who is usually the purchaser. Well it doesn't state that. I sent a certified letter to the CEO and when I didn't hear back after a month I called yesterday and was told there wasn't even going to be a written reply. That's the way to run a company? NEVER AGAIN TO RHEEM/RUUD.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I have had this Rheem Heat Exchanger now for 4 years and was just told by my service man we will have to replace the A coils. After loading a dye into the system they are leaking. This will be the third set of A coils installed in the past 4 years because of leaking. These units are made in Mexico and are extremely unreliable. Never buy a Rheem anything. They are cheap junk. After reviewing a lot of glowing reviews I noticed they were mostly done by the retail outlets and service providers selling the units. They are cheaply made and very profitable to the dealers and they love them. We contacted Rheem about this issue again and got a solid, "I am sorry that is out of warranty." Beside we did the first replace under warranty parts only and the tech waived his installation charges. I will never buy anything made by Rheem.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Bought the unit in 2016, after 1 yr the coil leaked. Was charged over 1400 to install with freon, after 1 year it went again. Do not purchase a Rheem! Horrible. Very disappointed with the performance of this unit.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Heater stop working after 2 years and I can NOT get replacement because I bought my condo remodeled and don't know where the heater was purchased. It is still under warranty but they refuse to replace it.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

We purchased a Rheem system in 2017. The system was installed by one of Rheem's listed contractors. After one year, the system began to malfunction and blow water into the ductwork and house. The unit in the garage overflowed and began to leak into the garage causing water damage. Ceilings inside the house were damaged by mold and water leakage. This caused extensive damage. Mold began to form around ductwork and near air conditioning outlets inside the house. I have not before had an A/C system malfunction in this way after just one year. Very poor quality system and I would recommend other more reliable brands over this.

Both the installer and the company do not care and refuse to stand by their product. Even though their product is at fault they want the consumer to pay to fix the problems they caused by selling a bad product. They will not fix the damage caused or repair the system or take responsibility for their own mistakes. They sell a faulty product which malfunctions after just 1 year then to cause more costly repairs. They apparently design their products to fail after 1 year so you are forced to spend more money with them for expensive repairs! If you want an A/C system that will run problem free for at least 5 years then I would recommend against them. Many people cannot afford these enormous expenses due to a faulty product. We have had difficulty contacting Rheem, they have no contact phone numbers and simply do not care. Stay away from Rheem.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I Purchased a new Rheem 3.5 ton heat pump system in 2011. In 2014 the A-Coil in the air handler started leaking freon and the system shut down. Rheem replaced the part under warranty but would not reimburse me the labor or the freon which cost $450. Then in 2016 the replacement coil started leaking just like the 1st replacement. Same story, Rheem replaced the part and I was out another $450. Now it's November 2018 and the 2nd replacement coil is leaking and I have no a/c. I have heard from HVAC repairman that there are many other people in the same situation and Rheem refuses to make any changes or improvements to the coil, so I expect this will go on indefinitely. Stay away from Rheem!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Bought it in April of 2017. Called up and registered the warranty the day it was installed, gave all information and documentation I was asked for. Died on Nov 1 2018, called the number on the water heater, was told the labor warranty was expired but parts were in warranty so they'd send the part, got the part on Tuesday, got it installed and still got 7 flashing red lights, so called back on Wednesday, the second tech I talked to on Wednesday said two failures of the same part were considered a complete failure. I'd have to bring the water heater back to point of purchase and they'd replace it.

As we talked she offhandedly mentions that it had a 9 yr part warranty and a 2 yr labor warranty (since I'd been told it was out of warranty I was under impression that the labor was 1 yr) and that the labour had expired in August. I told her I had purchased it in April, she had me email the receipt and serial number to another email. That night I got an email that my warranty was updated and if I had any problems to call 800-432-8373, so first thing Thursday morning I called and they said they'd schedule a service technician to come replace it and I'd be contacted within one business day with the name of the service tech and the appointment time.

A short time later I got an email stating "Thank you for contacting Rheem. A request for labor coverage has been submitted to our Dispatch team for processing. You will either receive a call from our dispatch team with labor options or from an independent contractor in your area within 1 business day to setup an appointment. Labor coverage includes the repair or replacement of any part of the water heater due to defect in material or workmanship. If you do not receive a call within 1 business day, you may call 800-248-3553 Mon-Sat 8AM-8PM ET for further assistance."

So, I don't hear anything further on Thursday, and I don't hear anything on Friday. So Friday night I tried to call but it was after 8 pm et, so I called again Saturday morning. I explained my situation and asked why I hadn't been contacted with any update within one business day like I was promised. The person I talked to (never Identified herself, but her "manager" said her name was Leah) told me that the techs don't dispatch service people, they created a ticket on Thursday which went to dispatch who created a rework ticket on Friday and it's Saturday and I'm talking to the person whose job it is to call the service people and schedule them and if I'd let her do her job she'd call and see if someone was available.

She put me on hold and came back and said, "Nobody is answering so they're probably closed for the weekend. I'll call them on Monday and see if they'll come out, or I can give you a warranty claim number and you can do it yourself." Kind of ** since if your people hadn't been slow walking it and had contacted me on Friday LIKE PROMISED I could have called on Friday and had someone scheduled to work on Saturday or Sunday, but since it's already Saturday I cant contact anyone until Monday. She then told me if there's nothing else shes hanging up. I had to stop her and ask to talk to a manager, who told me if I didnt want to wait until Monday for someone to be called she could give me a warranty claim number so I could call someone myself.

She also said she had to defend Leah's behavior because she such a good and loyal employee and Leah was the only person who could possibly handle my claim. She also refused to admit that your company failed in any way in upholding your promise to contact me within one business day, telling me she understood why I would feel that way (without specifying what "way" I was feeling). Very well trained to be noncommittal. Cant think of another company that's given me such horrible customer service in the last decade.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

We had 2 Rheem units installed during our home construction. In 3 1/2 years both units have gone out with leaking coils. Luckily the 1st unit was completely covered. Due to the time frame the unit stopped cooling. The 2nd unit has cost me over $850.00. I messaged Rheem but did not receive a response. After reading numerous reviews and statements from the company, I realize I will get the same response as all of the others, "Rheem will cover the failed part under warranty but everything else is between the consumer and the installer". Rheem will not completely back their products because maybe they know they have an unreliable product. The only way to stop a company like this is to put them out of business, so don't make the same mistake I did, look at the reviews prior to buying a unit and go with a different company.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I have been used for 11 yrs, no problem at all. I don’t know how long my previous owner has used. In 2015 I contacted the manufacturer by email, they are nice and respond quickly. I just want to be fair to tell my true experience.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I would not recommend ever buying a Rheem. I've had the unit for 5 years and the coils went bad. I was told by my HVAC company that they have had this problem numerous times with this model. The part is covered under warranty, but the freon that lost because of this bad part was not covered. This freon would not have been lost if not for the bad part, but the warranty says it's not covered. Therefore, it cost me over $600 for the repairs. As I read the reviews on this site, I see that others have the problem and the replacement coils have gone out in a year or so.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I bought this Rheem HVAC less than five years ago. It has so many problems such as bad compressor less than a year. Bad reverse value twice. Now I have to pay for labor and wasted freon. I did not want Rheem because of bad reviews but my contractor insisted on this brand. Please, please learn from my mistake. If a contractor insist on Rheem, go to another contractor.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Our Rheem Performance Platinum water heater's control panel started an electrical fire. I have numerous documents on it - fire department report, photos, etc. It caused smoke damage and carpet damage to our home. We are out a $2500 home insurance deductible due to the faulty appliance. After the incident I searched online regarding the particular make and model of this water heater and found out there is a recall for this very same reason. We were never notified by the manufacturer of this recall/defect. I had sent in my warranty card the day we had the water heater installed, but still did not receive notification. Notification could have prevent this fire at our house. I have tried contacting Rheem several times and have not received a response.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Two year old 5 ton premium unit. $9700 to install in July of 2016. Since this August I have had to pay $1500 to repair all the solder joints on the heat exchanger... Turns out it was made in China... Inferior solder corrodes and fails. Then one month later the secondary valve leaked (another 12lbs of Freon @$76/lb). Another $1400 to fix. Then two weeks later the control board fried...the installer is now telling me I need to buy a new unit. BS!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I purchased a top of the line 12 year model less than a year ago at our local Home Depot. It worked like a champ until suddenly last night, Thursday, we had no hot water. I went to the Rheem's website and attempted to leave a message. However after a few attempts I realized that I wasn't being allowed to leave a message.

I live in California and began calling at 0630 but didn't get through to a person until after 0800. I explained the symptoms and I was told that they would send out a technician. Silly me assumed that they meant today. I called again after 1300 to get a time we should expect this technician. I was required to go through the entire story again because they didn't appear as if they bothered to keep any records. I was told that they needed to send me a part. However the warehouse was now closed. I asked why they didn't ship it out this morning when I first called. Again it didn't seem as if they bother to keep any records. I asked for the name of the company/technician who will do the repair so that I might contact them to see if by some stroke of luck they had a part in stock. Rheem didn't have a name to give me.

So now I'm waiting for a part to arrive sometime Wednesday or Thursday and then for some unnamed technician to come out and install it on some other day.

Expecting a customer to be without hot water for a week because of a $50 part is asinine, especially today with overnight shipping, etc. Like I said there was absolutely no urgency on Rheem's part to do anything that might convenience a customer.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Have two units at my home in Northern Virginia. Been through 5 units over the past 6 years and at least 4 other service calls. Leaks, compressor, blower motor, control board, etc. Latest issue is leak in coil outside where coil goes through bracket... Likely due to wear caused by vibration. This one should have been anticipated by engineers and mitigated with simple, low-cost (pennies) solution. Had multiple Rheem installers/service folks out so it's not likely them. Done with Rheem for my lifetime and letting other folks know my experience as well to help as many as I can.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Clearly based on the handful of reviews I have read quickly here, I will just be further confirming the total lack of responsibility that Rheem takes in their products, as well as the gross incompetence and total lack of regard that their Customer Service Department has for the reputation of the company, much less the customer (Specifically you Supervisor Tim). I should not be out of pocket $1,460 dollars on labor and supplies related to a faulty AC unit in a 5 year period when the warranty is for 10 years.

But Rheem will just quote you chapter and verse like Stepford Wives instead of assuming one ounce of responsibility. If this is how Rheem operates, I will not need to wait long to have the last laugh. My A/C contractor has already stopped carrying their brand due to poor quality and customer complaints. And my guess is that the losing combination of bad quality and poor accountability will be the death blow to a company like this in due course. Customers are too savvy today to keep a stone aged approach like Rheem has alive for much longer.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Installed AC in September 2012. I am now in need of a fourth reversing value. Total cost less current charges $2000. Local representative has recommended replacement of outside unit at no cost. But I would need to purchase air handler in attic. When I questioned this he stated they only come as a package. Called Rheem warranty department. They confirmed they only came as a complete system and I would need to purchase the replacement air handler. I questioned that logic as since the original outdoor unit was being replaced due to a problem the attic unit should be replaced at no cost. The system has been down since the first week of July 2018. Have made several follow up calls to no avail. Stay away!

Original review: July 31, 2018

Horrible experience. Call center rude, not helpful. l've been without hot water for almost a week. Why is it so difficult to get a new heater when it's under warranty. Then they want me to buy a new heater and they said they would reimburse me 260. You would think if a company is getting nothing but 1-star ratings they we would change something, shows the character of the company brand. I would never buy a Rheem product again.

Original review: July 27, 2018

In 2017, my Ruud/Rheem AC starts to leak Freon after installation 6 years ago. Even though the coil failed a little earlier than the other brands I've use, I didn't blame on Rheem and thought it might be wear and tear. I replaced a new Rheem evaporator coil and pay the Freon refill on my own. Now after one summer use, the new replaced coil starts to leak Freon again. A technician came to check and said I the coil I got from Rheem in 2017 is an originally defective part and I have to replace it again, which is another thousand dollars. Why do I have to spend thousands dollars to replace coil and refill Freon every summer if Rheem's product is qualified? Is there any other AC brands have to be replaced coil and refill Freon every summer? Rheem refused to offer any explanation and technical assistance. Such an irresponsible and sly company! Shame on Rheem and will never purchase their product again!

Original review: July 23, 2018

I haven't even gotten through 5 summers without having to pay $1156 for labor and coolant for two major repairs to my Rheem A/C unit. The second issue is the most frustrating because it was responsible for almost $1000 of these bill and my installer informed me that Rheem was well aware of the failures of the coil (due to the poor quality of steel that they get from China as well as a foreign substance/powder, which contributes to the coil corrosion) and had they done the right thing and re-called this part then they would have also done the right thing and picked up the cost for the repair.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Bought this unit because it was suppose to be the best. The unit has been out in dangerous heat conditions. My wife and I are both disabled and we have not been able to get it fixed and we have had to go to a hotel. This is disgraceful and it should be noted that Rheem is getting terrible reviews also. Do your homework. Don't take anyone's opinion. It's all about $$$!!!

Original review: July 8, 2018

Beware of new units arriving with broken factory welds. This means you will constantly be paying for service calls and coolant replacement. Then when you contact Rheem be prepared to be talked down to and expect no reimbursement for coolant or labor. I honestly hope this business goes bankrupt.

Rheem expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Rheem Manufacturing Company was founded in 1925 in Emeryville, CA. Today, it is the world’s only manufacturer that produces heating, cooling, water heating, pool/spa heating and commercial refrigeration products.  In addition to their other products, Rheem specializes in central air conditioners for homes and businesses.

• Easy to find: Rheem is sold by independent contractors around the world and at retailers nationwide. Easily find an independent Rheem contractor or retailer in your area through Rheem’s website.

• Homeowner resource center: Rheem’s online homeowner’s resource center is the best place to find all the information you need on local contractors, financing, rebates and warranties for all of your Rheem products.

• Heart of Comfort (HOC): Rheem’s HOC program was created as a way to unify all of Rheem’s charitable giving across the continent. The program is committed to helping communities across the country gain access to home comforts, including heating and cooling. Find out about events in your area and how you can help through Rheem’s website.

• Tax credit information: The federal tax program can be confusing, which is why Rheem website’s thorough and step-by-step explanation of how they work is so helpful. Find out what products qualify for credit, what your limit is and how long you have to take advantage of the tax credits.

• Financing: Rheem works with Synchrony Bank to offer consumers financing options for their home comfort products. Consumers can enjoy features such as convenient monthly payment options, competitive interest rates and an open credit line for future purchases.

• Best for: Homes and businesses that need central air conditioning.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs