3.9/5 (533 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

Rheem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

Bought a Rheem air condition unit June of 2020. A year later the compressor fan went. I had to pay almost $500 to replace the fan as the fan itself was covered under the warranty. The following year the blower fan went. I have to pay the contractor another $500 to replace the fan but the part was covered under warranty. Called Rheems headquarters to make a complaint, they told me there’s nothing they can do about my situation. Please do some research on this company before you buy their products. I believe this is the worst air condition units built. Take your business elsewhere and do your research.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

Just got Rheemed! I am now on my 3rd compressor fan motor in less than 6 years. The customer service people are useless, as my A/C company told me they would be. Why does the warranty go from 10 yrs. to 5 just because I’m not the original owner. Seems a bit discriminating. There’s a definite problem with their A/C units.

Get buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I purchased a brand new Rheem AC unit and the compressor went bad after a little more than 2 years. The parts are under warranty, but the labor to replace the compressor and the cost to replace the freon was over $1200. It SHOULD NOT cost this much to cover a part that is under warranty!! Rheem should be covering these costs, as the unit was expensive enough to begin with, and the freon would not have needed replaced if the compressor had not gone bad. How can we get a class action lawsuit going? When I called Rheem, they don't even care.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I purchased a Rheem RHS-32 from Home Depot. It failed and had to be changed twice within one year. The first time was within 2 weeks and Home Depot made all the arrangements to replace it. The second occurrence happened within 359 days so it was still under warranty. I called Rheem and spoke to Wil H. and together we diagnosed the problem with the unit. A cracked shaft that allowed water to gush out and flood my garage. He stated that he would send the part and that it would be a “Do It Yourself” simple replacement since it would be easy to remove a couple of clips and replace the part. He clearly expressed on the phone that if I could not do it he would arrange for someone to come and fix it.

After 7 emails I received the "part" and to my surprise it was an entire new unit. Great except I could hardly manage getting it inside my house. The UPS Driver was kind enough to help. I am a senior with limited mobility. After more emails with Wil H and numerous diagrams, I was told it was simple to change the unit and I should get some family or friends (verbatim from his email) to help me. Basically he was washing his hands of it and passing the "buck".

The warranty reads and I quote from the Operation Manual "For a period of one year, labor to repair or replace any part deemed to be defective in materials or workmanship, will be provided at no additional cost". Wil H. answer is below. I copied and pasted from his email: "I hope this clears everything up, your warranty does not cover installation of a softener. Wil H. Customer Service".

I was supposed to get a replacement part. Rheem chose to send a new unit. I was quoted $650 to install it which is more than twice the cost of a new unit. Nowhere on their Warranty Disclaimer does it state that if the unit fails, installation of a new unit is not included. Wil H. is a person that I trusted to honor the warranty. He instead mislead me. I strongly recommend that you think twice before buying a Rheem product. The unit failed twice (I am on my third unit) within one year. Buyer Beware. Their customer Service is deceiving and misleading. They do not Honor the terms of their written warranty.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

Ladies and Gents, More than half of these reviews on here are installer problems not unit problems. Your first rule is never go the cheap route on such an important investment for your comfort in your home or office. Your second rule is to service your equipment. It's just as important as changing the oil in your car. This is something almost everyone skips. "Out of Sight out of Mind" in this case is brutal. Rheem is a good product hands down. You just have to get a installer that knows what they are doing. Research them. Ask for their previous and long ago customers. Take the time and call everyone and most importantly ask for at least 15 because half won't answer.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

If you are considering purchasing a new HVAC system, do not purchase a Rheem. I purchased one in 2018 and have already had to refill it with very expensive refrigerant twice. The total cost of this has been in the ballpark of $2,500. This is a new system that should not require costly repairs! In the most recent case, the technician who inspected it took one look, found a hole in the intake valve and said "that's clearly a manufacturer's defect." So I called Rheem. What did they say, you ask, when I requested that they cover a portion of the $1,600 bill to replace the refrigerant that had leaked out through this clear manufacturer's defect? They offered to cover exactly $0 of the bill because they do not pay for new refrigerant. The loss of refrigerant was caused by their defect! Rheem's customer care is absolute garbage, as are their products. I will never buy another Rheem system, and neither should you.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

23 months ago we purchased the Rheem a/c. 5 days ago it started making a loud rattling noise. A tech came out and said it needs a new compressor. Yesterday it quit working. We're in Az..in Aug. We are livid. I thank God we still have 1 month left on a 2 yr warranty. The installation company, Semper Fi, has gone above and beyond to make us as comfortable as possible possible while we wait the 10 days for a new compressor. At this point we are requesting a new unit.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

Purchased 2 brand new Rheem 2 ton air conditioners in 2015. Warranty expired in 5 years, or 2020. A few months after the warranty expired in 2021 both failed. They were maintained yearly. Should two brand new 2 ton air conditioners fail a few months after the warranty expired if they were properly maintained? I think the answer is no. I contacted Rheem customer service and they kindly stated I am out of luck. Goodbye Rheem. Never again.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

I bought a brand new Rheem unit Seer 16- 4 Ton single stage with brand new air handler and furnace, in Dec 2020. Now Aug 2022 the condenser's compressor is acting up and starting to make loud buzzing noises, that I was able to hear over my loud music in the garage. After tech ran tests all signs point to the compressor going out. So now I have to reach out to rheem which from the reviews I read does NOT leave me with high hopes. I will update this review after I call rheem.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

I live in my primary house and also have a rental. I figured that I would have two similar units installed. It was quickly noticed that the units would fail at similar times. At the rental we are on our fourth motherboard and fan motor. I am on my third in my own house. At one point the exact same parts failed five weeks later. Lucky for me there was only a 30 day warranty so I get to have it done twice. We also had a check valve part that failed which was very expensive. I am now waiting for it to go out on the one at my house. The unit at my house freezes in the middle of the night and I have to turn it off to throw. The tech little more than said I had to put up with this. I am lucky to have a 10 year parts warranty but get raped with the labor costs. I have never seen such a high maintenance system in my life. I am actually considering ripping them both out and cutting my losses. I have to say that the heat works well but the a/c nightmare is no fun!

Rheem author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rheem Manufacturing Company was founded in 1925 in Emeryville, CA. Today, it is the world’s only manufacturer that produces heating, cooling, water heating, pool/spa heating and commercial refrigeration products.  In addition to their other products, Rheem specializes in central air conditioners for homes and businesses.

• Easy to find: Rheem is sold by independent contractors around the world and at retailers nationwide. Easily find an independent Rheem contractor or retailer in your area through Rheem’s website.

• Homeowner resource center: Rheem’s online homeowner’s resource center is the best place to find all the information you need on local contractors, financing, rebates and warranties for all of your Rheem products.

• Heart of Comfort (HOC): Rheem’s HOC program was created as a way to unify all of Rheem’s charitable giving across the continent. The program is committed to helping communities across the country gain access to home comforts, including heating and cooling. Find out about events in your area and how you can help through Rheem’s website.

• Tax credit information: The federal tax program can be confusing, which is why Rheem website’s thorough and step-by-step explanation of how they work is so helpful. Find out what products qualify for credit, what your limit is and how long you have to take advantage of the tax credits.

• Financing: Rheem works with Synchrony Bank to offer consumers financing options for their home comfort products. Consumers can enjoy features such as convenient monthly payment options, competitive interest rates and an open credit line for future purchases.

Rheem Company Information