Find an Appliances partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Rheem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

I had to replace the Rheem hot water heater in my grandma's house 3 times in 2year. This time the heater has a recall on a part that rheem can't even get and even if they could it would still cost me $145 to have someone install it. I have to go buy a new water heater (it will not be rheem again) and the company has an "Oh well" attitude. I hope this review save people time and especially money. I wish I had read the reviews.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

Summary: $1,500 water heater was declared a "lemon" by Rheem's tech support -- Rheem will not issue a full refund. I purchased a 50 gallon Rheem water heater (PROPG50-40N RH67 PD) from an authorized Rheem dealer, Johnson Thermol Temp Inc., Washington, MI. Unfortunately, the Wi-Fi feature, used to raise/lower the water temperature from a smartphone, never worked consistently. After a seemingly random period of time (a few hours to a week) the Wi-Fi connection would drop, resulting in lukewarm-to-cold showers.

During the next several months I placed many calls and invested dozens of hours of personal time working with Rheem's tech support. To prove my home network wasn't the issue I was required to purchase and install two different Wi-Fi extenders. Rheem/Johnson Thermal made several attempts to troubleshoot the problem. They replaced the Wi-Fi unit. They replaced the gas valve three times. Nothing worked. Unable to solve the problem Rheem's tech support declared the water heater a lemon (their words, not mine, case number 3137948) and told me to return it and Johnson Thermal would provide a refund.

Johnson Thermal took the water heater back. A few weeks passed; no refund. After two more phone calls to Johnson Thermal and another week went by I received a partial, $700 refund. Attempts to discuss the refund amount with Rheem failed. I placed two calls to their warranty group. Both times I was told that "the manager was not available but would call back." Neither call was returned. Attempts to discuss the refund amount with Johnson Thermal failed. I placed a call to the manager -- it was not returned. A partial refund is not acceptable for a water heater that *never* worked properly. My expectation was/is for a full, $1500 refund.

Get buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I bought a brand new Rheem hot water tank from Menards. When we delivered it home, it was damaged BIG TIME!! We had to return it to Menards and made the sales representative open the other one to make sure there are no damages on the second one! Very frustrating, inconvenient, and unacceptable on their part!!! I'm very disappointed in Rheem. The first and second time I called, I was put on hold for one hour!!! They don't care about their customers it seems. Will not purchase another product of Rheem again ever!!! I have photos of the damaged hot water tank and submitted it to Rheem. They agreed it was really bad. Do not buy Rheem products!!! Their customer service sucks!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2021

Florida luxury home. Purchase two brand new A/C systems for each floor. Equipment made in Mexico faulty since day one. Over 1 year of many service calls, part changes, repairs, etc., equipment still faulty. Compressor stops cooling. Must turn off, wait ten minutes. Sometimes starts working most times not. By time it does home is 80 degrees. Then it takes 6 hours to cool. PLEASE AVOID THIS BRAND AS RESPONSE IS ABSOLUTELY DISMAL AS WELL AS CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

Rheem 40 Gal tank installed in February 2021. In early July tank started shutting down... 3 different case numbers. It's now August tank is inoperable. Pilot issues, part will take 2 -4 days to get here. Already been without hot water 2 full days. Long waits on customer service lines, nobody cares. Worst company and product ever! I will NEVER again deal with Rheem products or furthermore Home Depot for installs either. Do yourself a favor. Stay away from both of these places and go with an actual plumbing company that does tank installs and provides the warranty!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

Beware before buying online, spent over $7000 dollars on two new Rheem furnaces with entire AC set ups inside and out. Used an internet ad to find a great price from an local supplier in Florida and they sell to the public. I had issues with a bad furnace board when we set the first unit, so I figured no big deal. It's under warranty through Rheem. Oh Boy was I right but told I was so wrong by the Rheem HVAC customer service rep Sandy, so asked for the supervisor and got Tim and he said the same statement. Rheem limited warranty disclosure, under Exclusions line J states.

"1) Any covered equipment manufactured by the manufacturer that has been sold to the consumer via the internet or auction website, AND has not been installed by a trained, qualified HVAC professional." Rheem will not deal with warranty, saying I bought it from a liquidator (Budget Heating and Air). Not a liquidator at all. Rheem, Please read and know your own wording, AND in the middle means both statements together as written in your own document.

Original review: June 24, 2021

I purchased a High End Seer Unit through my contractor 5 summers ago. I was under construction and forgot to send in my warranty. After 5 seasons and spending thousands of dollars for this unit I had to replace a motor for $900. Because I did not mail in my warranty I was covered for only 5 years. If the warranty was sent it 10 years. This is a game!!!! I understand there are rules but the company knows exactly when my unit was purchase and to me this is a game to the consumer. Lastly they Rheem should stand behind their product!!!! My advice do not purchase anything from this company. If anything they should have offered something to help offset the $900 I had to spend. Rules are made to be broken.

Original review: May 25, 2021

We have a legitimate warranty related issue. We had a leak due to a failed weld which a certified Rheem tech repaired. We paid the tech and then looked into filing a warranty which any consumer would do. We were told you don't cover freon or repairs only parts? That is just silly. You have a factory weld break in the first year and this is not a warranty related issue. We are going to need you to say that in writing. We are sick of the runaround and feel Rheem has not done their part. We, like many consumers have had issues with an installer. We still have units in our homes which require warranty service and your warranty should transfer from vendor to vendor. Our system had a catastrophic failure at 9 months and lost all its coolant. Cost for the repair was not cheap and exceeds $1119! Please advise.

Original review: May 22, 2021

Installed in May of 2018. Ran until Early spring 2020, TDX valve ruptured and loss of all freon. I had to pay for labor and freon - about $800. Ran until early spring this year 2021. Same issue except this time Rheem refuses to honor warranty. Tech advised nearly all of this model installed in last 4 years has failed with either bad coils or this TDX valve. Rheem stopped honoring their 10 year warranties late last year on these models. So in 2018 I paid 7500 for new unit and coil, and 2022 I am having to fork out another 7500 to get another unit. American Standard this time. Also the company I used who is a recognized Rheem dealer, has dropped Rheem from their inventory. Buyer Beware!!!

Original review: May 4, 2021

New 5 ton Rheem installed 2018. Turned on for spring 2021, called installer, coil corroded at bottom and freon leaked out. Coil under warranty. Must pay for labor and freon. Estimate $650. Did not know Rheem had coil issues or would have never purchased! Will not purchase another Rheem product.

Rheem author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rheem Manufacturing Company was founded in 1925 in Emeryville, CA. Today, it is the world’s only manufacturer that produces heating, cooling, water heating, pool/spa heating and commercial refrigeration products.  In addition to their other products, Rheem specializes in central air conditioners for homes and businesses.

• Easy to find: Rheem is sold by independent contractors around the world and at retailers nationwide. Easily find an independent Rheem contractor or retailer in your area through Rheem’s website.

• Homeowner resource center: Rheem’s online homeowner’s resource center is the best place to find all the information you need on local contractors, financing, rebates and warranties for all of your Rheem products.

• Heart of Comfort (HOC): Rheem’s HOC program was created as a way to unify all of Rheem’s charitable giving across the continent. The program is committed to helping communities across the country gain access to home comforts, including heating and cooling. Find out about events in your area and how you can help through Rheem’s website.

• Tax credit information: The federal tax program can be confusing, which is why Rheem website’s thorough and step-by-step explanation of how they work is so helpful. Find out what products qualify for credit, what your limit is and how long you have to take advantage of the tax credits.

• Financing: Rheem works with Synchrony Bank to offer consumers financing options for their home comfort products. Consumers can enjoy features such as convenient monthly payment options, competitive interest rates and an open credit line for future purchases.

Rheem Company Information