1.14/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

351 Rheem Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Bought the unit in 2016, after 1 yr the coil leaked. Was charged over 1400 to install with freon, after 1 year it went again. Do not purchase a Rheem! Horrible. Very disappointed with the performance of this unit.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Heater stop working after 2 years and I can NOT get replacement because I bought my condo remodeled and don't know where the heater was purchased. It is still under warranty but they refuse to replace it.

Get expert buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

We purchased a Rheem system in 2017. The system was installed by one of Rheem's listed contractors. After one year, the system began to malfunction and blow water into the ductwork and house. The unit in the garage overflowed and began to leak into the garage causing water damage. Ceilings inside the house were damaged by mold and water leakage. This caused extensive damage. Mold began to form around ductwork and near air conditioning outlets inside the house. I have not before had an A/C system malfunction in this way after just one year. Very poor quality system and I would recommend other more reliable brands over this.

Both the installer and the company do not care and refuse to stand by their product. Even though their product is at fault they want the consumer to pay to fix the problems they caused by selling a bad product. They will not fix the damage caused or repair the system or take responsibility for their own mistakes. They sell a faulty product which malfunctions after just 1 year then to cause more costly repairs. They apparently design their products to fail after 1 year so you are forced to spend more money with them for expensive repairs! If you want an A/C system that will run problem free for at least 5 years then I would recommend against them. Many people cannot afford these enormous expenses due to a faulty product. We have had difficulty contacting Rheem, they have no contact phone numbers and simply do not care. Stay away from Rheem.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I Purchased a new Rheem 3.5 ton heat pump system in 2011. In 2014 the A-Coil in the air handler started leaking freon and the system shut down. Rheem replaced the part under warranty but would not reimburse me the labor or the freon which cost $450. Then in 2016 the replacement coil started leaking just like the 1st replacement. Same story, Rheem replaced the part and I was out another $450. Now it's November 2018 and the 2nd replacement coil is leaking and I have no a/c. I have heard from HVAC repairman that there are many other people in the same situation and Rheem refuses to make any changes or improvements to the coil, so I expect this will go on indefinitely. Stay away from Rheem!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Bought it in April of 2017. Called up and registered the warranty the day it was installed, gave all information and documentation I was asked for. Died on Nov 1 2018, called the number on the water heater, was told the labor warranty was expired but parts were in warranty so they'd send the part, got the part on Tuesday, got it installed and still got 7 flashing red lights, so called back on Wednesday, the second tech I talked to on Wednesday said two failures of the same part were considered a complete failure. I'd have to bring the water heater back to point of purchase and they'd replace it.

As we talked she offhandedly mentions that it had a 9 yr part warranty and a 2 yr labor warranty (since I'd been told it was out of warranty I was under impression that the labor was 1 yr) and that the labour had expired in August. I told her I had purchased it in April, she had me email the receipt and serial number to another email. That night I got an email that my warranty was updated and if I had any problems to call 800-432-8373, so first thing Thursday morning I called and they said they'd schedule a service technician to come replace it and I'd be contacted within one business day with the name of the service tech and the appointment time.

A short time later I got an email stating "Thank you for contacting Rheem. A request for labor coverage has been submitted to our Dispatch team for processing. You will either receive a call from our dispatch team with labor options or from an independent contractor in your area within 1 business day to setup an appointment. Labor coverage includes the repair or replacement of any part of the water heater due to defect in material or workmanship. If you do not receive a call within 1 business day, you may call 800-248-3553 Mon-Sat 8AM-8PM ET for further assistance."

So, I don't hear anything further on Thursday, and I don't hear anything on Friday. So Friday night I tried to call but it was after 8 pm et, so I called again Saturday morning. I explained my situation and asked why I hadn't been contacted with any update within one business day like I was promised. The person I talked to (never Identified herself, but her "manager" said her name was Leah) told me that the techs don't dispatch service people, they created a ticket on Thursday which went to dispatch who created a rework ticket on Friday and it's Saturday and I'm talking to the person whose job it is to call the service people and schedule them and if I'd let her do her job she'd call and see if someone was available.

She put me on hold and came back and said, "Nobody is answering so they're probably closed for the weekend. I'll call them on Monday and see if they'll come out, or I can give you a warranty claim number and you can do it yourself." Kind of ** since if your people hadn't been slow walking it and had contacted me on Friday LIKE PROMISED I could have called on Friday and had someone scheduled to work on Saturday or Sunday, but since it's already Saturday I cant contact anyone until Monday. She then told me if there's nothing else shes hanging up. I had to stop her and ask to talk to a manager, who told me if I didnt want to wait until Monday for someone to be called she could give me a warranty claim number so I could call someone myself.

She also said she had to defend Leah's behavior because she such a good and loyal employee and Leah was the only person who could possibly handle my claim. She also refused to admit that your company failed in any way in upholding your promise to contact me within one business day, telling me she understood why I would feel that way (without specifying what "way" I was feeling). Very well trained to be noncommittal. Cant think of another company that's given me such horrible customer service in the last decade.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

We had 2 Rheem units installed during our home construction. In 3 1/2 years both units have gone out with leaking coils. Luckily the 1st unit was completely covered. Due to the time frame the unit stopped cooling. The 2nd unit has cost me over $850.00. I messaged Rheem but did not receive a response. After reading numerous reviews and statements from the company, I realize I will get the same response as all of the others, "Rheem will cover the failed part under warranty but everything else is between the consumer and the installer". Rheem will not completely back their products because maybe they know they have an unreliable product. The only way to stop a company like this is to put them out of business, so don't make the same mistake I did, look at the reviews prior to buying a unit and go with a different company.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I have been used for 11 yrs, no problem at all. I don’t know how long my previous owner has used. In 2015 I contacted the manufacturer by email, they are nice and respond quickly. I just want to be fair to tell my true experience.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I would not recommend ever buying a Rheem. I've had the unit for 5 years and the coils went bad. I was told by my HVAC company that they have had this problem numerous times with this model. The part is covered under warranty, but the freon that lost because of this bad part was not covered. This freon would not have been lost if not for the bad part, but the warranty says it's not covered. Therefore, it cost me over $600 for the repairs. As I read the reviews on this site, I see that others have the problem and the replacement coils have gone out in a year or so.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I bought this Rheem HVAC less than five years ago. It has so many problems such as bad compressor less than a year. Bad reverse value twice. Now I have to pay for labor and wasted freon. I did not want Rheem because of bad reviews but my contractor insisted on this brand. Please, please learn from my mistake. If a contractor insist on Rheem, go to another contractor.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Our Rheem Performance Platinum water heater's control panel started an electrical fire. I have numerous documents on it - fire department report, photos, etc. It caused smoke damage and carpet damage to our home. We are out a $2500 home insurance deductible due to the faulty appliance. After the incident I searched online regarding the particular make and model of this water heater and found out there is a recall for this very same reason. We were never notified by the manufacturer of this recall/defect. I had sent in my warranty card the day we had the water heater installed, but still did not receive notification. Notification could have prevent this fire at our house. I have tried contacting Rheem several times and have not received a response.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Two year old 5 ton premium unit. $9700 to install in July of 2016. Since this August I have had to pay $1500 to repair all the solder joints on the heat exchanger... Turns out it was made in China... Inferior solder corrodes and fails. Then one month later the secondary valve leaked (another 12lbs of Freon @$76/lb). Another $1400 to fix. Then two weeks later the control board fried...the installer is now telling me I need to buy a new unit. BS!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I purchased a top of the line 12 year model less than a year ago at our local Home Depot. It worked like a champ until suddenly last night, Thursday, we had no hot water. I went to the Rheem's website and attempted to leave a message. However after a few attempts I realized that I wasn't being allowed to leave a message.

I live in California and began calling at 0630 but didn't get through to a person until after 0800. I explained the symptoms and I was told that they would send out a technician. Silly me assumed that they meant today. I called again after 1300 to get a time we should expect this technician. I was required to go through the entire story again because they didn't appear as if they bothered to keep any records. I was told that they needed to send me a part. However the warehouse was now closed. I asked why they didn't ship it out this morning when I first called. Again it didn't seem as if they bother to keep any records. I asked for the name of the company/technician who will do the repair so that I might contact them to see if by some stroke of luck they had a part in stock. Rheem didn't have a name to give me.

So now I'm waiting for a part to arrive sometime Wednesday or Thursday and then for some unnamed technician to come out and install it on some other day.

Expecting a customer to be without hot water for a week because of a $50 part is asinine, especially today with overnight shipping, etc. Like I said there was absolutely no urgency on Rheem's part to do anything that might convenience a customer.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Have two units at my home in Northern Virginia. Been through 5 units over the past 6 years and at least 4 other service calls. Leaks, compressor, blower motor, control board, etc. Latest issue is leak in coil outside where coil goes through bracket... Likely due to wear caused by vibration. This one should have been anticipated by engineers and mitigated with simple, low-cost (pennies) solution. Had multiple Rheem installers/service folks out so it's not likely them. Done with Rheem for my lifetime and letting other folks know my experience as well to help as many as I can.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Clearly based on the handful of reviews I have read quickly here, I will just be further confirming the total lack of responsibility that Rheem takes in their products, as well as the gross incompetence and total lack of regard that their Customer Service Department has for the reputation of the company, much less the customer (Specifically you Supervisor Tim). I should not be out of pocket $1,460 dollars on labor and supplies related to a faulty AC unit in a 5 year period when the warranty is for 10 years.

But Rheem will just quote you chapter and verse like Stepford Wives instead of assuming one ounce of responsibility. If this is how Rheem operates, I will not need to wait long to have the last laugh. My A/C contractor has already stopped carrying their brand due to poor quality and customer complaints. And my guess is that the losing combination of bad quality and poor accountability will be the death blow to a company like this in due course. Customers are too savvy today to keep a stone aged approach like Rheem has alive for much longer.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Installed AC in September 2012. I am now in need of a fourth reversing value. Total cost less current charges $2000. Local representative has recommended replacement of outside unit at no cost. But I would need to purchase air handler in attic. When I questioned this he stated they only come as a package. Called Rheem warranty department. They confirmed they only came as a complete system and I would need to purchase the replacement air handler. I questioned that logic as since the original outdoor unit was being replaced due to a problem the attic unit should be replaced at no cost. The system has been down since the first week of July 2018. Have made several follow up calls to no avail. Stay away!

Original review: July 31, 2018

Horrible experience. Call center rude, not helpful. l've been without hot water for almost a week. Why is it so difficult to get a new heater when it's under warranty. Then they want me to buy a new heater and they said they would reimburse me 260. You would think if a company is getting nothing but 1-star ratings they we would change something, shows the character of the company brand. I would never buy a Rheem product again.

Original review: July 27, 2018

In 2017, my Ruud/Rheem AC starts to leak Freon after installation 6 years ago. Even though the coil failed a little earlier than the other brands I've use, I didn't blame on Rheem and thought it might be wear and tear. I replaced a new Rheem evaporator coil and pay the Freon refill on my own. Now after one summer use, the new replaced coil starts to leak Freon again. A technician came to check and said I the coil I got from Rheem in 2017 is an originally defective part and I have to replace it again, which is another thousand dollars. Why do I have to spend thousands dollars to replace coil and refill Freon every summer if Rheem's product is qualified? Is there any other AC brands have to be replaced coil and refill Freon every summer? Rheem refused to offer any explanation and technical assistance. Such an irresponsible and sly company! Shame on Rheem and will never purchase their product again!

Original review: July 23, 2018

I haven't even gotten through 5 summers without having to pay $1156 for labor and coolant for two major repairs to my Rheem A/C unit. The second issue is the most frustrating because it was responsible for almost $1000 of these bill and my installer informed me that Rheem was well aware of the failures of the coil (due to the poor quality of steel that they get from China as well as a foreign substance/powder, which contributes to the coil corrosion) and had they done the right thing and re-called this part then they would have also done the right thing and picked up the cost for the repair.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Bought this unit because it was suppose to be the best. The unit has been out in dangerous heat conditions. My wife and I are both disabled and we have not been able to get it fixed and we have had to go to a hotel. This is disgraceful and it should be noted that Rheem is getting terrible reviews also. Do your homework. Don't take anyone's opinion. It's all about $$$!!!

Original review: July 8, 2018

Beware of new units arriving with broken factory welds. This means you will constantly be paying for service calls and coolant replacement. Then when you contact Rheem be prepared to be talked down to and expect no reimbursement for coolant or labor. I honestly hope this business goes bankrupt.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Bought 2 Rheem units over 33 years. Both blew out. Will never buy another Rheem again. We believe the last one was defective after 13 years. Called for maintenance just about every 3 months since bought in 2005. Blew up in 2018!

Original review: July 4, 2018

Purchased and had installed a new Rheem water heater by Home Depot. The installation went well but the new heater was defective and leaked hot water from the top of the unit... I called the Rheem number listed on the side of the water heater and got a call center where I was placed on hold and then no one ever returned. The second attempt to call resulted in being transferred to a "technician" who never answered. The third attempt: I was told to dig out insulation from the top of the heater to find where it was leaking and repair it myself. I was also told to go out and buy a plug that was missing from the top of the unit. The fourth attempt: I was told to check the water pressure! It's obvious that the personnel in the Rheem call center are not trained in troubleshooting issues and they'll hang up or transfer you if they don't know the answer to resolving a warranty problem. I had to call Home Depot to get the water heater replaced.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Home Depot sold us a Rheem energy efficient air conditioning unit. Not only was it $6000 but it has increased our electric bill and does not cool the house at all. When the temperatures are above 80 (which is most days in Florida) the unit will not cool the house down especially if I am cleaning, cooking or have company. We called their local technicians during our warranty and they told us it was fine and to wait until next year to see if it was just a hot summer. It is now year 3. We are out of warranty and it still doesn’t perform well. Will never do business with this company again.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Alright, so after having bought a home (Spring, 2017) My water Heater started failing (which was okay with me, it's a new house, things fail, it was still under warranty, but I wanted longer showers). So, I bought a new one. Within 3 days, the water heater failed, knocked out my power, and began leaking from the electrical components. Yep. So, I called, and emailed, to get it replaced. After having spent a non-consecutive time span of 15 hours on hold between Rheem and Home Depot, I was continuously growing more and more frustrated. FINALLY, a poor customer service girl, who spent around 45 minutes of her day at Home Depot, had to jump through about a thousand hoops--2 months later. Yep, because of these people, I had been 2 months without hot water, and all of the fun that that brings (YAY!). That was over two weeks ago.

Two days ago, I received my new water heater--sorta. They botched the delivery. It was supposed to be delivered to my house, but instead, they shipped it to Home ** Depot, so I had to scramble out of work, and go pick up the thing--did I mention it was delivered a day late? On my work Monday, and I do not work in an industry where you can just pick up and go. I open the box to find, a dent about the size of a baseball, or so--but it gets better. The box was undamaged. They had to ship it in this condition, knowingly. I have emailed them, I have tried calling them, but I have yet to hear back.

I am appalled, by this level of unprofessionalism, and lack of quality oversight. And after reading the preceding reviews, I can assure anyone who reads this, that Rheem will never, ever receive any of my business, ever again, and I do not understand why anyone would give them theirs. Go for GE, or Westinghouse, or something else and save yourself the trouble; at least their products sometimes work, and their staff has the decency to at least lie to you.

Original review: May 25, 2018

My 2 year old motor on top of my condenser failed. It cost me 399.00 for labor. The manager of the company told me that the motors are often failing. They overheat and fail. I called Rheem, and was told the supplier’s representative could help. The manager told me they have tried with no success. He told me that they no longer recommend Rheem. I thought they were the best. I am extremely disappointed. There needs to be another class action suit, like there is against Rheem for their faulty aluminum condensers.

Original review: May 23, 2018

We got into our new house in 2013. Within 3 years we started having a cooling problem and called out a tech. The coils was horrid and we need more coolant. I was not informed by Rheem that there was a problem with the copper material they used to make these coils!! My "warranty" only covers labor for the first year and parts for ten years. We paid the tech and now a year and a half later, we started having the same problem... the AC isn't cooling again!! Called a tech and he said our coil needs to be replaced and it would still cost us "after the warranty", about $1,000.00!! This is ridiculous for only 5 years of use!! You might as well say it started in the "3" year old time period because of the first service call for "not cooling"! I am disabled with a fixed income and my mother doesn't make a lot of money either.

If there is a problem with the parts (Rheem) that they are installing in people's homes, they need to fix it "FREE" of charge! YES, I mean the LABOR too, especially when we have a warranty still in effect! It is not like the problem is after 25 years of use here!! We are talking new parts failing because of a manufacturing (material used) problem! I don't have $1000.00 to fix it and we live in Texas and it is HOT!!

We can't be expected to live in a new house with NO A/C when it is Rheem's fault! Me being disabled and my mother is "73" years old too... totally absurd! Something has to be done by Rheem immediately! I was not even aware of this problem that Rheem was having! The last service done on my Rheem unit was only a temporary solution and soon the coils will fail completely and hopefully not cause any damage to my home in the process! We don't have $1000.00 to get this done and it needs to be replaced NOW!! What are we to do???

Original review: May 21, 2018

My Rheem HVAC is only three years old and the high pressure line to the sensor split causing all of the freon to leak out. I would say this was a very poor design not allowing any flex space in the high pressure line. Model # RH1T3617STANJA.

Original review: May 9, 2018

On Tuesday, May 1, 2018 my water heater, which was purchased and installed on 8/28/17 stopped working. We contacted Rheem and was told that they would send a replacement part and would send someone to install it. After we received the part, Rheem told us that they did not have anyone to service our area and we would have to find our own person. We contacted several companies and we finally found someone to come out, but they wanted to be paid at the point of service. The contractor informed us that it was the wrong part, so we contacted the company again and they sent us another part. The new part arrived on Friday, May 4, 2018 and after installation the contractor informed us that the machine needed to be replaced.

We contacted Rheem again and they told us that they would put in a request for replacement through one of their companies and we would be contacted within 24 hours. We waited the entire weekend and Monday morning to be contacted. Finally, we called Rheem back and they gave us the number to the contractor whom they sent the order. The contractor told us that they told Rheem that they do not service the area. We contacted Rheem again and they told us that they would need 24 more hours to contact another company.

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018, I was told by a rude representative that they have done all they can do and she would transfer me to another department, who she said could help me. I spoke with a new rep who was more understanding of the fact that I have not had hot water in over a week; however, he put me on hold and transferred me to another department. I spoke with another rep who told me that I can find a person on my own because it was nothing they could do. I asked to speak with a manager and she told me to hold on and transferred me to Fidelity Bank. We have not found a company who are wants to work with this company and no one can help us with this faulty product.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Terrible. Sent wrong model. First time had plumber install in unit, it overheated and filled drip pan. I paid plumber $390.00. Finally got correct thermostat, I paid plumber AGAIN. Tried to order part by numbers on old part but Rheem said it did not go by these numbers. 2nd part came. It same numbers as old part. Talking to plumbers they say they have same problem.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Recently purchased a home (Feb 2018). The seller replaced all appliances prior to selling including a Rheem water heater. The water heater became defective in less than a year. The company refuses to honor its 12 year warranty for the product installed less than a year ago due to the fact I am not the original purchaser of the unit. What happened to companies standing behind their products? I started looking at reviews and have found very few that have been positive about this household name company. Will not be purchasing any products from Rheem in the future. Very disappointed.

Rheem expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Rheem Manufacturing Company was founded in 1925 in Emeryville, CA. Today, it is the world’s only manufacturer that produces heating, cooling, water heating, pool/spa heating and commercial refrigeration products.  In addition to their other products, Rheem specializes in central air conditioners for homes and businesses.

• Easy to find: Rheem is sold by independent contractors around the world and at retailers nationwide. Easily find an independent Rheem contractor or retailer in your area through Rheem’s website.

• Homeowner resource center: Rheem’s online homeowner’s resource center is the best place to find all the information you need on local contractors, financing, rebates and warranties for all of your Rheem products.

• Heart of Comfort (HOC): Rheem’s HOC program was created as a way to unify all of Rheem’s charitable giving across the continent. The program is committed to helping communities across the country gain access to home comforts, including heating and cooling. Find out about events in your area and how you can help through Rheem’s website.

• Tax credit information: The federal tax program can be confusing, which is why Rheem website’s thorough and step-by-step explanation of how they work is so helpful. Find out what products qualify for credit, what your limit is and how long you have to take advantage of the tax credits.

• Financing: Rheem works with Synchrony Bank to offer consumers financing options for their home comfort products. Consumers can enjoy features such as convenient monthly payment options, competitive interest rates and an open credit line for future purchases.

• Best for: Homes and businesses that need central air conditioning.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs