3.9/5 (663 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

Rheem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

Called Rheem which took several tries was told to contact plumber and gave phone number. Called their authorized plumber and was charged $350 for them to show up and call rheem for technical support to be told they can’t accept any more calls due to the volume of calls. So he left. No hot water for us. Will just have to rip it out and replace with a regular water heater. Do not waste your money. Only the parts are warranty, not labor.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

Rheem 3.5 16 SEER. Six months old (purchased in 2022) and the bracket that holds the fan is rusting at all of the attachment points. Called dealer that installed and they said they would get part from Rheem. That was 6 months ago. Installer won't reply. Rheem is such a poor quality company with horrible customer service. They just tell me to contact the installer. Stay away from Rheem. The quality has gone in the toilet and the price has gone up and they do not back their poorly manufactured product and have zero customer support.

Get buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2022

Had to replace the element same day as purchase. Service light flashing as soon as power restored. Waited for 3 days for a service tech to finally show up. (After two no shows). Tech decided to replace the element again ....Left us with no hot water. Made appointment with him to replace the unit the next day. He forgot and was dispatched to Cleveland, four hours away. Now have another appointment in 5 days. Horrible customer service. Don't stand behind their product. Told me to do it myself if I couldn't wait. My patience had worn down after three weeks of cold showers.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2022

About 2 months after the purchase and installation, the Rheem water heater began to leak, and the top parts were rusted. The installer and the plumber we work with called the Rheem company and was told to lower the set temperature. He did it but it was still leaking, and we had to wipe the water in the plastic plate on the floor. The e explained to me that he has been having problem with Rheem products recently and decided to switch to another brand. This was a very disappointing experience which might reflect the declining of American manufacturing.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2022

I purchased a Rheem Water Softener at Home Depot in Mar of 2022. Two weeks ago it malfunctioned and sent Resin beads all through my plumbing. It was quite difficult to finally reach someone to speak with. The Rep on the phone, (Allison), was very polite and professional. She was very thorough and easy to work with. She said they would send the part for ME to fix the water softener. The next day she called back and said they would replace the water softener instead. She said they would send one out to me. I mentioned they could simply authorize Home Depot to give me one from the store and they could replace that one. I was told it doesn't work that way. I was told it would be 1 to 2 weeks for the replacement to arrive. I complained that it should NOT take that long. I said it should be sent out within a day or 2 as it was their product that failed and they would want to satisfy the customer as quick as possible.

I received an email from Ron on the Monday, a week after complaining saying the water softener would be sent out on Wed and thanks for my patience. I wrote back saying my patience was very thin because of the time consumption. I never received a response. I thought Rheem would send one out RIGHT AWAY to get it to me. It took TWO WEEKS for the new water softener to arrive. This issue also cost me money out of pocket due to the damage the resin beads infiltrating parts of my plumbing that had to be replaced due to the clogs. I am truly disappointed in this company! This is unacceptable and I WILL NOT BE BUYING FROM RHEEM AGAIN!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

Water heater started throwing error A005 code after 16 months. This is a thermistor fail, which sounds like a common problem. Rheem sent me replacement thermistors at no charge. But I still have to put them in.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

Bought a Rheem air condition unit June of 2020. A year later the compressor fan went. I had to pay almost $500 to replace the fan as the fan itself was covered under the warranty. The following year the blower fan went. I have to pay the contractor another $500 to replace the fan but the part was covered under warranty. Called Rheems headquarters to make a complaint, they told me there’s nothing they can do about my situation. Please do some research on this company before you buy their products. I believe this is the worst air condition units built. Take your business elsewhere and do your research.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

Just got Rheemed! I am now on my 3rd compressor fan motor in less than 6 years. The customer service people are useless, as my A/C company told me they would be. Why does the warranty go from 10 yrs. to 5 just because I’m not the original owner. Seems a bit discriminating. There’s a definite problem with their A/C units.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I purchased a brand new Rheem AC unit and the compressor went bad after a little more than 2 years. The parts are under warranty, but the labor to replace the compressor and the cost to replace the freon was over $1200. It SHOULD NOT cost this much to cover a part that is under warranty!! Rheem should be covering these costs, as the unit was expensive enough to begin with, and the freon would not have needed replaced if the compressor had not gone bad. How can we get a class action lawsuit going? When I called Rheem, they don't even care.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I purchased a Rheem RHS-32 from Home Depot. It failed and had to be changed twice within one year. The first time was within 2 weeks and Home Depot made all the arrangements to replace it. The second occurrence happened within 359 days so it was still under warranty. I called Rheem and spoke to Wil H. and together we diagnosed the problem with the unit. A cracked shaft that allowed water to gush out and flood my garage. He stated that he would send the part and that it would be a “Do It Yourself” simple replacement since it would be easy to remove a couple of clips and replace the part. He clearly expressed on the phone that if I could not do it he would arrange for someone to come and fix it.

After 7 emails I received the "part" and to my surprise it was an entire new unit. Great except I could hardly manage getting it inside my house. The UPS Driver was kind enough to help. I am a senior with limited mobility. After more emails with Wil H and numerous diagrams, I was told it was simple to change the unit and I should get some family or friends (verbatim from his email) to help me. Basically he was washing his hands of it and passing the "buck".

The warranty reads and I quote from the Operation Manual "For a period of one year, labor to repair or replace any part deemed to be defective in materials or workmanship, will be provided at no additional cost". Wil H. answer is below. I copied and pasted from his email: "I hope this clears everything up, your warranty does not cover installation of a softener. Wil H. Customer Service".

I was supposed to get a replacement part. Rheem chose to send a new unit. I was quoted $650 to install it which is more than twice the cost of a new unit. Nowhere on their Warranty Disclaimer does it state that if the unit fails, installation of a new unit is not included. Wil H. is a person that I trusted to honor the warranty. He instead mislead me. I strongly recommend that you think twice before buying a Rheem product. The unit failed twice (I am on my third unit) within one year. Buyer Beware. Their customer Service is deceiving and misleading. They do not Honor the terms of their written warranty.

Rheem author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rheem Manufacturing Company was founded in 1925 in Emeryville, CA. Today, it is the world’s only manufacturer that produces heating, cooling, water heating, pool/spa heating and commercial refrigeration products.  In addition to their other products, Rheem specializes in central air conditioners for homes and businesses.

• Easy to find: Rheem is sold by independent contractors around the world and at retailers nationwide. Easily find an independent Rheem contractor or retailer in your area through Rheem’s website.

• Homeowner resource center: Rheem’s online homeowner’s resource center is the best place to find all the information you need on local contractors, financing, rebates and warranties for all of your Rheem products.

• Heart of Comfort (HOC): Rheem’s HOC program was created as a way to unify all of Rheem’s charitable giving across the continent. The program is committed to helping communities across the country gain access to home comforts, including heating and cooling. Find out about events in your area and how you can help through Rheem’s website.

• Tax credit information: The federal tax program can be confusing, which is why Rheem website’s thorough and step-by-step explanation of how they work is so helpful. Find out what products qualify for credit, what your limit is and how long you have to take advantage of the tax credits.

• Financing: Rheem works with Synchrony Bank to offer consumers financing options for their home comfort products. Consumers can enjoy features such as convenient monthly payment options, competitive interest rates and an open credit line for future purchases.

Rheem Company Information