Find an Appliances partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Rheem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?

Original review: March 24, 2021

We had an old Rheem furnace that worked great for 30 years so when it had a moisture rust problem and kept going out, we looked for another Rheem, and it was a little tricky to find an installer who dealt with them in our rural area, but we did eventually. In the meantime, we did get quotes on all major systems available from a handful of vendors, and was surprised that many of the other systems cost twice as much but got worse reviews. Our newer Rheem furnace has been working great now for 10 years with no problems (we did discover there are a pair of hidden button-like protrusions that you can use to re-set the furnace if it goes out due to a sudden surge or power outage, or if something is blocking the intake and it activates an emergency shut down, which we used once).

A dishonest technician could take advantage of someone who didn't know that was there. We should never have the same rusting with moisture and cracking problem again because the new part is rust-proof with a lifetime guarantee. Because our 1860's basement has little room, and new vents would be difficult to cut in, we couldn't easily have the air conditioning part of the furnace installed, and just use our window air conditions which work fine. Although the furnace is great, I would be hesitant to buy a Rheem air conditioning unit due to the many problems I have read about others experiencing where they get corrosion and/or mold in the coils, and I also probably would not buy the Rheem water heater as there are a lot of complaints about that, unless a newer model becomes available that addresses these issues.

Original review: June 24, 2021

I purchased a High End Seer Unit through my contractor 5 summers ago. I was under construction and forgot to send in my warranty. After 5 seasons and spending thousands of dollars for this unit I had to replace a motor for $900. Because I did not mail in my warranty I was covered for only 5 years. If the warranty was sent it 10 years. This is a game!!!! I understand there are rules but the company knows exactly when my unit was purchase and to me this is a game to the consumer. Lastly they Rheem should stand behind their product!!!! My advice do not purchase anything from this company. If anything they should have offered something to help offset the $900 I had to spend. Rules are made to be broken.

Get buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 25, 2021

We have a legitimate warranty related issue. We had a leak due to a failed weld which a certified Rheem tech repaired. We paid the tech and then looked into filing a warranty which any consumer would do. We were told you don't cover freon or repairs only parts? That is just silly. You have a factory weld break in the first year and this is not a warranty related issue. We are going to need you to say that in writing. We are sick of the runaround and feel Rheem has not done their part. We, like many consumers have had issues with an installer. We still have units in our homes which require warranty service and your warranty should transfer from vendor to vendor. Our system had a catastrophic failure at 9 months and lost all its coolant. Cost for the repair was not cheap and exceeds $1119! Please advise.

Original review: May 22, 2021

Installed in May of 2018. Ran until Early spring 2020, TDX valve ruptured and loss of all freon. I had to pay for labor and freon - about $800. Ran until early spring this year 2021. Same issue except this time Rheem refuses to honor warranty. Tech advised nearly all of this model installed in last 4 years has failed with either bad coils or this TDX valve. Rheem stopped honoring their 10 year warranties late last year on these models. So in 2018 I paid 7500 for new unit and coil, and 2022 I am having to fork out another 7500 to get another unit. American Standard this time. Also the company I used who is a recognized Rheem dealer, has dropped Rheem from their inventory. Buyer Beware!!!

Original review: May 4, 2021

New 5 ton Rheem installed 2018. Turned on for spring 2021, called installer, coil corroded at bottom and freon leaked out. Coil under warranty. Must pay for labor and freon. Estimate $650. Did not know Rheem had coil issues or would have never purchased! Will not purchase another Rheem product.

Original review: April 22, 2021

We purchased a home in Florida 10 yrs ago for when we retired. We purchased a brand new complete Rheem AC unit from Heavenly Air in our town in 2012. We were told they would register it and we would have a 10 year warranty. We finally retired and moved in last fall. So actually the unit was never used on a yearly basis, just while we were here for 2 week vacations twice a year. It was set for 85 degrees any other time. The unit stopped throwing cold air. We called Heavenly Air. Yup, out of business and the company that took over will was no help. We called an air conditioner service they said 1200.00 to replace the coil. They reached out to Rheem, Rheem said it was never registered. I don’t have proof as I trusted Heavenly Air. The original manufacturing date sticker on the unit proves it's not even 10 yrs old. So, please consider this if you are thinking about purchasing a Rheem system.

Original review: April 11, 2021

Every time I leave for over the road, I come back house is cold, when it warms up, I shut it off, then need heat and nothing, it's always sensors, gas valve sticks. The furnace gets new filter every month, dust out top of furnace, and plagued with issues, oh and the air conditioner, when it cycles off sounds like it gears are being stripped. That's normal after a year of whinnying, Never again will I buy Rheem. 96% efficiency my butt. My hydro goes up while I wait for repair guy.

Original review: March 18, 2021

Compressor on my Rheem unit serial # 7842W281100514 failed 9 years into a 10 year warranty. Oil leaked from compressor into lines destroying entire system...coil, condenser, transfer lines. Got 2 estimates to replace and both were appx $5500. Rheem said they would give me $570 only to compensate for their faulty compressor but after spending half of summer 2020 with no a/c whatsoever, and countless hours on the phone with two different Reps, I have received nothing. Comically, the last correspondence I received was a rep explaining I'd receive the $570 after I paid the installer in full myself. When I questioned this and asked how this would be done procedurally, they went dark...have not heard from them in months. I have literally spent 20-25 hours trying to recoup their measly $570 offer. At this point, I do not want another Rheem system and am pursuing alternatives.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

Less than a year ago, I had two brand-new Rheem heat pumps installed to the tune of $16,000. One of these units had a factory defect which resulted in nearly $1,600 in electric overages (as the defect made it so that our home was unknowingly running on the ‘emergency heat’ setting for two months). As soon as I realized that something was amiss, I contacted the company – where their customer service agent led me to believe that such charges would be reimbursed provided it was deemed a defective part. HOWEVER, given the situation with COVID, she also informed me that unfortunately no agents would be able to do a home visit – and therefore the defect could not be verified.

After reaching out to the HVAC installation crew, they were able to connect directly with Rheem and arrange for agents to come take a look. From my first contact, to the date of that visit, was 14 days. With a two-month old infant in our home, it was not an option to forgo heat during this time… and I shared my concerns with the customer service agent that with each passing day, we were accruing $30 in additional heating expenses.

When representatives were sent – presumably as ‘damage control’ their conduct was unprofessional and abhorrent. Unbelievably rude and condescending to the HVAC technician (who had been nothing but kind and solution-oriented), one agent told the technician he needed to “teach him a lesson.” As a business owner myself, this is not acceptable behavior for anyone working on behalf of the company– much less, in a customer-facing position. I felt bad for the technician who was demeaned in the presence of customers as the Rheem rep arrogantly passed the onus of responsibility onto him.

Prior to selecting these heating units, I did ample research. I decided upon Rheem because of their strong reputation and quality products. It is unconscionable to me that in these unprecedented times, there has yet to be any sort of restitution for expenses incurred as a result of a FACTORY DEFECT. Simply replacing the unit is not satisfactory… that is a given, as the product (at less than a year old) is still well under warranty. Reimbursement for the time spent with a faulty product that, once identified, wasn’t even replaced in a timely manner should be a given.

In good faith, I have been beyond patient in awaiting resolution. Again, as per my initial conversation with Rheem’s customer service agent, my burden of proof was met. Curiously, when I requested full transcripts of those phone calls to verify what had been communicated to me, Rheem avoided providing said documents. Instead, I was provided with a copy of the warranty and an accompanying letter from the supervisor stating that there is "no accommodation for utility charges" (despite this being explicitly stated nowhere within the warranty he himself provided). So basically, their faulty product, and the subsequent delay ran up my electric bill, and they see themselves as being at no fault for the issue, or their slow response (during which I continued to be charged at the emergency rates)... Not to mention, the time I had to take off work to deal with this mess between phone calls and the visits with technicians and reps.

Never in my life have I written a negative review... and yet I find myself compelled to do so as I feel so wronged. All in all, this experience has been a failure at every turn of the road, and months on, I am still awaiting an appropriate response and the compensation which they have previously acknowledged I am due, given the factory defect. Their products (when not defective) may well be great. However, in my experience, they are unwilling to stand behind them in moments where it counts.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

Please before you buy a Rheem HVAC, research the quality of their coils. A year after purchasing a new system I have been experiencing dirty sock syndrome. It is a known issue with the coil and there is a known fix, the coils need to be dipped with in a bronzing solution or an epoxy. This prevents mold and bacteria buildup on the coils and then spewing the spores throughout your home. Rheem calls it an environmental issue and refuses to reimburse for the costs to have the problem remedied. After installation either a UV light or a Global Plasma System at my expense, my issue may be resolved, again Rheem refuses to reimburse my costs. I am also reading that their coils have a problem with corrosion and failure, once again a problem corrected by dipping to prevent the corrosion.

Buyer beware, the limited warranty is just that, extremely limited, no labor to replace defective parts, no Freon replacement costs on defective equipment, no labor to correct their known issue with dirty sock syndrome. I guess they think these things just magically fix themselves. I bought my unit from an authorized Rheem dealer and was told these were some of the best units on the market.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I purchased AC/Heater unit in 2016 from Honest AC (which they are nonresponsive and caused me to get an extended warranty to cover it). Within the first few months I had to have the AC unit repaired. Since then I have had the AC unit repaired three different times and again this past week which cost me $980! Freon leaks, too much pressure, replaced compressor, replaced land capacitor, TXV system replaced. This is unacceptable. The unit is less than 5 years old and I've had nothing but issues with it.

Rheem author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rheem Manufacturing Company was founded in 1925 in Emeryville, CA. Today, it is the world’s only manufacturer that produces heating, cooling, water heating, pool/spa heating and commercial refrigeration products.  In addition to their other products, Rheem specializes in central air conditioners for homes and businesses.

• Easy to find: Rheem is sold by independent contractors around the world and at retailers nationwide. Easily find an independent Rheem contractor or retailer in your area through Rheem’s website.

• Homeowner resource center: Rheem’s online homeowner’s resource center is the best place to find all the information you need on local contractors, financing, rebates and warranties for all of your Rheem products.

• Heart of Comfort (HOC): Rheem’s HOC program was created as a way to unify all of Rheem’s charitable giving across the continent. The program is committed to helping communities across the country gain access to home comforts, including heating and cooling. Find out about events in your area and how you can help through Rheem’s website.

• Tax credit information: The federal tax program can be confusing, which is why Rheem website’s thorough and step-by-step explanation of how they work is so helpful. Find out what products qualify for credit, what your limit is and how long you have to take advantage of the tax credits.

• Financing: Rheem works with Synchrony Bank to offer consumers financing options for their home comfort products. Consumers can enjoy features such as convenient monthly payment options, competitive interest rates and an open credit line for future purchases.

Rheem Company Information