2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Rheem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?

Original review: June 18, 2020

Heat Pump and Air Handler are working perfectly after several years. Very quiet operation compared to the previous unit. Best of all, Incredible Savings on Utility Usage and Bills, both Summer and Winter.

Original review: June 14, 2020

Mine is about 10 years old and it’s fine. I haven’t had a problem except last season it needed Freon. Mine was installed by Greg Hookenshoven Heating and Air Conditioning. Great service. He comes quickly when called for service. Can’t say enough.

Get buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2020

Rheem is a good product, well made, and has a great track record. Parts are easy to get and it is easy to repair when needed even though that’s rarely. The life span of a Rheem is 20-25 years. If I had to purchase another heating and air unit it would be a Rheem.

Original review: June 12, 2020

Love the system. Bought a 5 ton 20 SEER Heat Pump. Unit is very quiet, runs on low most all of the time. The house is in LA (Lower Alabama) 30 mile from the Gulf of Mexico. Love the ECONET system. I am able to control the heat pump and my water heater from a app on phone. Helps save money as you can control the temperatures of both with the app when you go off or temperatures needs change with a large group of people in the house. System lets you know when it is time to clean or replace air filters.

Original review: June 7, 2020

I bought a new home in 1984 which had a 4 ton Rheem central air conditioner system which ran for 20 years. Updated with a Rheem 5 ton system ten years ago and haven’t had a problem to date. I also recently replaced my water heater with a Rheem which is very efficient. I highly recommend their product line.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

Less than a year ago, I had two brand-new Rheem heat pumps installed to the tune of $16,000. One of these units had a factory defect which resulted in nearly $1,600 in electric overages (as the defect made it so that our home was unknowingly running on the ‘emergency heat’ setting for two months). As soon as I realized that something was amiss, I contacted the company – where their customer service agent led me to believe that such charges would be reimbursed provided it was deemed a defective part. HOWEVER, given the situation with COVID, she also informed me that unfortunately no agents would be able to do a home visit – and therefore the defect could not be verified.

After reaching out to the HVAC installation crew, they were able to connect directly with Rheem and arrange for agents to come take a look. From my first contact, to the date of that visit, was 14 days. With a two-month old infant in our home, it was not an option to forgo heat during this time… and I shared my concerns with the customer service agent that with each passing day, we were accruing $30 in additional heating expenses.

When representatives were sent – presumably as ‘damage control’ their conduct was unprofessional and abhorrent. Unbelievably rude and condescending to the HVAC technician (who had been nothing but kind and solution-oriented), one agent told the technician he needed to “teach him a lesson.” As a business owner myself, this is not acceptable behavior for anyone working on behalf of the company– much less, in a customer-facing position. I felt bad for the technician who was demeaned in the presence of customers as the Rheem rep arrogantly passed the onus of responsibility onto him.

Prior to selecting these heating units, I did ample research. I decided upon Rheem because of their strong reputation and quality products. It is unconscionable to me that in these unprecedented times, there has yet to be any sort of restitution for expenses incurred as a result of a FACTORY DEFECT. Simply replacing the unit is not satisfactory… that is a given, as the product (at less than a year old) is still well under warranty. Reimbursement for the time spent with a faulty product that, once identified, wasn’t even replaced in a timely manner should be a given.

In good faith, I have been beyond patient in awaiting resolution. Again, as per my initial conversation with Rheem’s customer service agent, my burden of proof was met. Curiously, when I requested full transcripts of those phone calls to verify what had been communicated to me, Rheem avoided providing said documents. Instead, I was provided with a copy of the warranty and an accompanying letter from the supervisor stating that there is "no accommodation for utility charges" (despite this being explicitly stated nowhere within the warranty he himself provided). So basically, their faulty product, and the subsequent delay ran up my electric bill, and they see themselves as being at no fault for the issue, or their slow response (during which I continued to be charged at the emergency rates)... Not to mention, the time I had to take off work to deal with this mess between phone calls and the visits with technicians and reps.

Never in my life have I written a negative review... and yet I find myself compelled to do so as I feel so wronged. All in all, this experience has been a failure at every turn of the road, and months on, I am still awaiting an appropriate response and the compensation which they have previously acknowledged I am due, given the factory defect. Their products (when not defective) may well be great. However, in my experience, they are unwilling to stand behind them in moments where it counts.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

Please before you buy a Rheem HVAC, research the quality of their coils. A year after purchasing a new system I have been experiencing dirty sock syndrome. It is a known issue with the coil and there is a known fix, the coils need to be dipped with in a bronzing solution or an epoxy. This prevents mold and bacteria buildup on the coils and then spewing the spores throughout your home. Rheem calls it an environmental issue and refuses to reimburse for the costs to have the problem remedied. After installation either a UV light or a Global Plasma System at my expense, my issue may be resolved, again Rheem refuses to reimburse my costs. I am also reading that their coils have a problem with corrosion and failure, once again a problem corrected by dipping to prevent the corrosion.

Buyer beware, the limited warranty is just that, extremely limited, no labor to replace defective parts, no Freon replacement costs on defective equipment, no labor to correct their known issue with dirty sock syndrome. I guess they think these things just magically fix themselves. I bought my unit from an authorized Rheem dealer and was told these were some of the best units on the market.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

From reading the other reviews this seems the consensus with hot water heater by Rheem. I wish I would have read these before my purchase. I purchased and installed the hot water heater on a Friday in January 2021. Followed the instructions and waited the amount of time for the water to heat. It game hot water for about 5 minutes and then continued to blink and indicate re-heating. Called the company that it states on the side of the water heater and the person I talked to was less than accommodating. I have contacted a plumber to come and look at the water heater that is failing to heat. Do not buy this product. With every purchase there is a possible issue that consumers must deal with BUT customer service should follow.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I purchased AC/Heater unit in 2016 from Honest AC (which they are nonresponsive and caused me to get an extended warranty to cover it). Within the first few months I had to have the AC unit repaired. Since then I have had the AC unit repaired three different times and again this past week which cost me $980! Freon leaks, too much pressure, replaced compressor, replaced land capacitor, TXV system replaced. This is unacceptable. The unit is less than 5 years old and I've had nothing but issues with it.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

I had 3.5 ton Sure Comfort heat pump installed in May 2020, failed one month later. Repaired and then failed again the same week, a different part. Made it through the summer then the winter failures began. It is only January 2021 and I have had this worked on so many times. The screws won't hold the doors and covers on anymore. This is complete garbage. I have deep regrets buying a Rheem product. I will not buy any Rheem products because of the quality of this product.

Rheem author review by ConsumerAffairs

Rheem Manufacturing Company was founded in 1925 in Emeryville, CA. Today, it is the world’s only manufacturer that produces heating, cooling, water heating, pool/spa heating and commercial refrigeration products.  In addition to their other products, Rheem specializes in central air conditioners for homes and businesses.

• Easy to find: Rheem is sold by independent contractors around the world and at retailers nationwide. Easily find an independent Rheem contractor or retailer in your area through Rheem’s website.

• Homeowner resource center: Rheem’s online homeowner’s resource center is the best place to find all the information you need on local contractors, financing, rebates and warranties for all of your Rheem products.

• Heart of Comfort (HOC): Rheem’s HOC program was created as a way to unify all of Rheem’s charitable giving across the continent. The program is committed to helping communities across the country gain access to home comforts, including heating and cooling. Find out about events in your area and how you can help through Rheem’s website.

• Tax credit information: The federal tax program can be confusing, which is why Rheem website’s thorough and step-by-step explanation of how they work is so helpful. Find out what products qualify for credit, what your limit is and how long you have to take advantage of the tax credits.

• Financing: Rheem works with Synchrony Bank to offer consumers financing options for their home comfort products. Consumers can enjoy features such as convenient monthly payment options, competitive interest rates and an open credit line for future purchases.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team