1.26/5
Based on 90 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Black & Decker Toast-R-Oven

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 31, 2017

169 Black & Decker Toast-R-Oven Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

BLACK+DECKER TO1675B 6-Slice Convection Countertop Toaster Oven - Had this for 6 months. It was ok. Tonight it literally exploded. No fire, no smoke, just the door blown out. All over the kitchen and living area. Scared the ** out of us. No one was hurt. Many people seem to have had the same experience. This product should be recalled. For the price I could care less but someone is going to get hurt and they shouldn't allow that to be. Make things in the USA!!!

Original review: April 28, 2017

I purchased this oven (Black & Decker Toaster Oven MD: TO1675W and 5B) in 2016 and I believe it should be recalled due to the heating element not turning off when you turn off the oven. This product is very dangerous and prone to creating a fire!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: March 9, 2017

In 2008 I purchased a Black & Decker toaster oven. After only a few months, the glass door exploded right in front of me. I called B&D and they sent me a replacement. Recently the switch stopped working and the toaster/oven would not turn off at the selected time. Everything was burning. So I decided to check complaints and found that many people are experiencing the same problems with these appliances. Several people have had kitchen fires because of the malfunctioning switches. This is very dangerous and I think all B&D toaster ovens should be taken off the market until they can resolve the problems. Don't know why they are still being sold. Don't buy this product, any model.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

I have used this toaster for over a year because I haven't been motivated to throw it away and purchase a new one. Until today. 50% of the time when I use the toaster the timer knob turns off but the heating element stays heated, and gets hotter and hotter! I always have to unplug the unit to get it to turn off the heating element. I can remember to do this, but, this morning, my 8 year old son made toast and it happened again. I was in another room and he doesn't know to unplug the toaster if it stays on, and luckily I came into the kitchen a few minutes after he made his toast and unplugged it because it looked and felt like it was about to BLOW UP. Is there no recall on this???

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

Black and Decker ToasterOven - Model # T01313SWD. Why would B&D continue to have these toaster ovens on the market and being in use when there is a definite safety hazard with them? The timer button does not shut the toaster or the oven off. A fire hazard with a tragedy waiting to happen. I should have realized when it said "Made in China" that I should have purchased a different toaster oven.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Black & Decker?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

I bought a Black and Decker toaster oven, model # to1356sg 7 months ago. It has a problem with not going off when timed out or turned off. When I turned it off while answering the phone in another room, it never went off and caught the contents on fire on burned up the oven. We should have returned it sooner but knew it worked when we watched it so we could unplug it when it failed. It worked ok at times. It could have burnt the house, I stopped buying B&D anything years ago and should not have made this exception. Never again!

Original review: July 8, 2016

Bought a Black & Decker toaster and it had a one foot cord. Had to move everything to make toast. Recently bought a B & D can opener. Worked for one month and now doesn't work at all. Gave the toaster to charity and threw the can opener away. Will NEVER buy another Black & Decker brand appliance or tool!!!

Original review: April 24, 2016

Timer did not turn off heating element. Entire unit in flames and smoke. This unit should be recalled. After seeing all the complaints, why hasn't the company done something?

Original review: April 15, 2016

The Black & Decker oven toaster model #TO1675B has a defect on the timer knob. You have to stand in front of the oven toaster and shut it off manually. The timer button has never worked properly. If you turn away for a minute it will burn the food since it doesn't turn off. You hear the timer clicking and won't stop. This is a problem which can cause a fire hazard. This item should be recalled. It's dangerous.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2015

I should have returned it! I have had this toaster over for one year. This model TO 1332 BD has "EvenToast" technology which I have found to mean it burns even toast. Even setting the toast timer below the medium setting it burns the toast. It must be watched constantly. When it does toast, it is not even. The side of the bread that is near the back always browns quicker and deeper than the front. If these were being given away free I still would not take one. We also made the mistake of purchasing a B&D coffee maker. It has a gray LED screen with black letters so it cannot be read unless you are directly in front of it. NO MORE BLACK AND DECKER for me. A once great company has lost its reputation.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2015

I turned on the toaster oven and everything sounded normal. Then a few minutes later a loud explosion happened where all of the glass on the door and the door handle violently exploded outward. I immediately unplugged it but this is a seriously dangerous product. I didn't even know it was possible for a toaster oven to explode. This product is dangerous and should be recalled.

Original review: July 26, 2015

Black & Decker convection oven 3073283 - This oven worked well for perhaps a couple years then started cooking foods irregularly. It would heat then stop heating not cooking per the settings I entered. Then it decided to not stop heating at all and refused to shut off at all. I had to unplug the oven to stop it as it was heating/burning hot and neither the off button or any other setting I pushed would work to stop the oven or reset it. I am worried that this appliance will end up burning down someone's house while unattended. To the trash it will go and I will not replace it. Standard oven is the safest bet.

Original review: May 11, 2015

Convection 12" Pizza Toaster Oven # 3073283 - The buttons on the control panel unit were not responding properly as I needed to hold them down for a prolonged period of time before they would register the requested option. The unit was blowing the circuit breaker in my house. The unit also caught on fire when trying to toast 2 English muffins. The rear heating element bar on the bottom caught fire in the middle and I burned my right arm while putting out the fire. Clearly the unit has electrical problems and should be recalled for safety reasons.

Original review: May 5, 2015

I read comments about toaster oven only does one side of bread, but thought.... maybe it's a operator problem as surely a TOASTER Oven would DO toast properly. I was wrong. It does ONLY toast on one side. Now the comments read "I called B&D and their response was to turn the bread over half way through." Duh. Even worse, now I see comments about explosions and fires. I don't think I want to use this device. B&D offers to replace those units. Duh, why would I want another one?

Original review: April 30, 2015

Toaster oven was on for about a minute when the glass door exploded all over the kitchen and food I was preparing: My Grand Daughter was standing in front of the oven a few seconds before it blew. This is not a safe product.

Original review: April 26, 2015

We purchased the toaster oven at Lowe's. Every time we use it smoke bellows out of it.

Original review: April 20, 2015

I have never felt comfortable using a toaster oven. I have had this oven for about 1 year. I didn't feel like heating up my big range oven so I started to heat some pre-made corn tortilla taco shells in the toaster oven. After about 4 minutes I noticed there was a fire in the oven. I had to unplug, and with towels carried it to the bathtub where I had to spray with water. My 2 nearest smoke detectors were going full blast but I had to continue to spray the fire out. Needless to say it will be thrown out unless Black and Decker will reimburse my purchase. I have never liked Black and Decker due to poor quality. I had a car vacuum that never worked well, but never had anything like this fire happen. I was trying to save money by purchasing it, but now I will look online at consumer reports to look at safety issues.

Original review: April 19, 2015

I received Black and Decker TRO480BS toaster oven as gift. With moderate use (toasting muffins, fish sticks, etc.), toaster one day "began" catching fire with smoke exiting from behind switch panel on front side of panel. Tried to turn-off via timer knob on front panel, but to no avail. I had to unplug. I was fortunate that my "sub-conscious" had told me to check my toasting "early", otherwise, I feel confident the toaster would have ignited and set my house on fire. Toaster was less than 2 years old!

Original review: April 19, 2015

This product is horrible and I can't believe it is still on the market. I purchased a Black and Decker Toaster Oven from Big Lots. I've used it about 7 times. It has caught on fire, not once, but twice!! The first time it happened, I thought that it occurred because there was too much grease. Cleaned my oven thoroughly and then it happened again! Thank God I was home and noticed the smoke. I unplugged it immediately. Why is this toaster oven not recalled? This is unacceptable.

Original review: April 12, 2015

Black and Decker convection oven model CT06335S - Oven door shattered after only about 10 minutes shooting glass across kitchen. Temperature was set correctly according to manual that came with oven. No one will contact me back about this. Oven only a few months old. Very dangerous.

Original review: April 8, 2015

I put pita bread in the toaster oven to warm up. Went into my garage next to my kitchen to get something out of our freezer. Heard a huge bang. Two of my three large dogs screamed while the third one went running with her tail between her legs into the garage with me. I ran into the house only to see two of my dogs covered in hot, broken tempered glass. I quickly brushed them off and saw that the toaster oven door literally exploded! The glass that wasn't on the dogs, was all over the floor and the toaster was still going. I unplugged it and was trying to see what happened.

The actual door blew to the other side of the kitchen and landed on the floor. Since I have dogs, I swept up the glass but took pictures of the toaster and what is left of the door. I plan on contacting Black & Decker tomorrow since they are closed now. This is not a heavily used toaster so I have no clue what happened. I'm glad the glass was tempered or I hate to think what would have happened to my dogs.

Original review: March 1, 2015

I put one corn tortilla in the toaster oven, for a few minutes on timer. I turned myself to wash my hands. When I looked over at the toaster oven, there was smoke coming out. I quickly ran over and unplugged it. It was on fire. Luckily I was there and I can unplug it out immediately. This is the second time that this issue happen with a different mode... last time was a piece of bread. In less than a minute this oven was on fire. Definitively this product is a fire hazard and should not be on the market. Black & Decker should decide something about this products.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2015

I have had numerous Black and Decker products over the years and never had any serious problems, till tonight and I am very concerned. My stainless toaster oven (Model # CTO 4500S Type 2) door literally exploded violently. Thank God my son and I were in the next room. What a noise, startled us both badly. The entire glass door exploded while heating up dinner, sent glass across the kitchen, even on the counter top six feet away. It was on 300 for maybe 6 minutes when it exploded. Had we been in the kitchen when it exploded we both would have needed medical treatment. I am going to contact Black and Decker. Really not to sure I will purchase another of their toaster ovens. I consider this toaster oven a dangerous product that should be recalled. Don't have a receipt anymore but oven is about 8 months old. Have pics though.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2015

This is my second toaster from this company. On first one the lever switch (which holds toast down) broke within a year. Same has happened to second toaster. Will NOT buy from Black and Decker again.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2014

I purchased a Black & Decker toaster oven, $40 - but on sale for $20, and now I understand why. I got it home and put HALF an English muffin inside. After about 5 minutes, I checked and saw no change to it, then turned the heat up. In about 1 minute, I smelled a horrific burnt metal smell and the outside was as hot as a cattle prod. Taking it back tomorrow. Black & Decker, never again!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2014

The timer for both the toast and bake unit has stopped working and has resulted in burned food and is a fire hazard.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2014

Had the model B&D TRO480BS Countertop Oven for 2 weeks and on 10/8/14 used it to toast English Muffin and all of sudden the glass door exploded into pieces. Lucky my spouse was not near the toaster oven when this happened. I contacted B&D Customer Care. They would either send me an exact replacement or refund. Surprise there was no recall on the unit and that they still continue selling the same model. I took the refund but will not buy B&D.

Original review: June 27, 2014

Just bought this toaster yesterday at Kohl's $59.99 (not cheap). I used it for the first time the following morning and the left side does not stay down!!! Very disappointed and returning it immediately. Bought it because of style and name! Again, what a disappointment!!

Original review: June 2, 2014

The Temperature guide with clear water washed off. I called the co. and was told to send the plug to the oven and they would send me another oven which they did. It has worked OK until a couple days ago. I turned it on and heavy smoke was coming from the oven. I IMMEDIATELY UNPLUGGED THE OVEN so I thought to myself maybe there was a spot of grease to cause the smoke, so a COUPLE DAYS LATER, I plugged it up again - same problem. I'm very fortunate that my kitchen didn't catch on fire, so this oven is going to the DUMPSTER.... YOU WOULD THINK THAT BLACK & DECKER WOULD CORRECT THESE DANGEROUS PROBLEMS......

Original review: April 29, 2014

We were preheating the oven (which we have only used on 3 occasions) when suddenly the door exploded off - glass was shattered all over. Thank goodness no one was in front of it or there would have been serious damage. I have tried looking if there is an actual recall & where can I find out.

Black & Decker Toast-R-Oven Company Information