2. Homeowners

Oster Appliances

Oster Appliances
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.71/5

Oster Appliances Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oster Appliances?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oster?

Original review: May 6, 2020

I purchased an Extra Large Countertop Convection Oven (Model TSSTTVXLDG-003) on 4/11/20 from Walmart. The oven itself works well however the oven did not come with a 2nd rack as displayed on the box, in the User Manual, or the online description. The box also shows a glass baking dish which leads one to believe that it is also included since the box does not say "not included". The sealed box included the other parts which included the crumb tray, baking pan, and broiler rack that the baking pan slides into.

I called Oster and requested the missing rack. Customer service was horrible. After an hour of providing my detailed shopping experience on the day I purchased the oven, giving the CSR the model number, and even the number on the unit plug she still wanted me to email her a picture of the oven and the plug showing the numbers! When she noticed my frustration, she agreed to send me the missing rack. I received it, however it was flimsy and measured 12-3/4". My broiler rack measured 15-1/2" wide. So I called again explaining the entire situation. She apologized for the inconvenience and emailed me 2 drawings; 1 of the pan and 1 of the rack. I told her that the rack is what I needed. I asked her what the measurement of the rack was and she said 13 inches. I told her not to send that to me as it is the same as what was already sent.

So her suggestion was to bring it back to Walmart and when Oster received it, they would send a replacement. I no longer have the large box the oven came in and what do I do in the meantime without the oven? She again apologized and I informed her that I would be filing a review of the horrible experience and that I would never purchase another Oster product.

Original review: April 30, 2020

The oven was working well. After 2 years it is not heard although when I turn it on the power light is on but NO heat. I contacted the company and sent them the picture of oven and plug and numbers on the oven and the box model sticker on it with the numbers but I didn’t find the receipt so they gave me numbers of repair services. I called them but they also wanted the receipt???? I contact the company again. They said without the receipt we cannot do anything and even though it’s already passed 2 years so it passed the warranty period. I want to fix it or send me parts and I will fix it. But they didn’t help me.

Get buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2020

I bought a New Oster EG034AL7-X1. It was 10 months old. The Microwave I bought was working okay up to about two months ago when it started sparking inside up near the Broiler feature. It didn't do it all the time but gotten worse until now it does it all the time. I called the number located on the back and the person I spoke to said that I'm not to use it because of this product malfunction. That they will send me something in the mail and to send them pictures and a copy of the receipt. The microwave is still at New in Box condition w/o a scratch on it, all I want is to have it replaced with the same one. I liked my Microwave and the features it offered, I haven't seen another like it which was the selling point of my purchase.

I don't want my money back, just what I bought less than a year ago to be replaced. They made no effort to resolve my issue based on my circumstances. If they can't work matters out on their defective and dangerous product that is still under warranty...then they shouldn't be in business selling products that aren't consumer friendly.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

Purchased an Oster toaster oven in March 2016 that came with a five year warranty., Which they are refusing to honor! Oster extra large Toaster Oven. Order Number: **. Model TSSTTVDGXL. Toaster does not heat properly Oster would not publish this review on their website citing it did not meet their criteria, meaning I would have low confidence that they list all negative reviews. Customer service is beyond rude!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Toaster/convection oven TSSTTVXXLL timer issue. We have owned 2 of this model (TSSTTVXXLL bought in Sam's Club) toaster/convection oven with the same timer shut off failure. The unit (approx. 1 1/2 to 2 years old) will shut off as it approaches the "O" setting and the keeps going and turns itself back on (stay on position which we never use). Thank god my wife noticed this before we left for the day. I spoke to a customer service rep and she appeared to be unmoved by our problem. I don't know maybe that's just S.O.P. I find it hard to believe that there is not a recall on this item as this seems dangerous to me. We will never buy another Oster or Jarden consumer product again considering we do own quite a few currently. Also Oster would not publish this review on their website citing it did not meet their criteria, meaning I would have low confidence that they list all negative reviews.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

Updated 01/26/2020: This is an update to my Nov 26 2019 review. Customer service finally decided a refund would be acceptable but I had to package up the product and send it to their processing facility which is only about an hour from me. Fortunately they covered the cost of postage by sending me through email a prepaid return postage slip, which they actually sent me 3 times because the first 2 times did not work..yet another simple thing that didn't go smoothly.

I did end up sending the kettle back and they finally sent me a refund check, but it wasn't until after I cashed it (late last week) that I realized it was for the pre-tax amount, not the full amount I paid for the kettle which included 13% tax. I emailed them this morning making them aware of this and am waiting for their reply. The nightmare of dealing with this company for a simple kettle return sadly continues.

Original review: I bought the white Rose Gold Tone 1.7L Kettle in May 2019, so only about 6 months ago. A few months after we purchased it, we also purchased the matching 4 slice toaster, both from The Bay. Almost 5 weeks ago the kettle stopped heating on its own before the water was boiled. We dealt with it for a little over a week before I reached out to Oster Canada about the problem. That was Nov 5. My phone call the first time lasted about 35 minutes, 25 of which was spent waiting to speak with someone. The other 10 was spent trying to resolve the issue with the kettle.

The company rep whom I was speaking with had suggested I try a couple of things to see if the kettle could get going again, like changing receptacles, and call him back the next day to to see if his suggestions worked. I assured him it wasn't the receptacle and I wasn't about to spend another 35 mins waiting on the phone again the next day, going through the same thing I just did, and I also didn't spend what I spent on a kettle only to fidget with it to see if I can get it going again before the warranty is even expired...that isn't my job and that isn't what I spent the money for only 6 months earlier.

So we ended up going through the motions of what he requires from me to process my warranty claim and send me a new kettle. He told me he'd email me their requirements, which he did the same day. In his email, he apologized for the inconvenience and assured me as soon as they receive the information, "We will proceed to the next step right away". I emailed him back that same evening with everything he asked for, receipt, model numbers, etc. I wait for a reply confirming the information is sufficient but nothing came.

Exactly 7 days after that exchange, I send an email asking for confirmation that they received my previous email and that they're processing the replacement. No reply so a couple of days after that, I called them to follow up. The company rep I was speaking to the second time I called was not the same the first time and who emailed me the list of requirements. She saw my emails to the first rep but confirmed to me nothing had been done with my information at all since I sent it 10 days prior. It hadn't been reviewed let alone processed. So my info sat in their email for 10 days before any action was taken, and the action was only taken because I called to check the status. She apologized several times for that which I appreciated. This time the phone call lasted 45 minutes, 30 of which I waited to speak with her.

During this call, she acknowledged they received my email and information but she kept asking me things that were included in my email response to the first rep, like shipping address for the new product, date of purchase, things like that, which frustrated me because here I am repeating what I included in the original email, wasting time, which if they had read, wouldn't need to ask these questions. She apologized for that as well.

Finally we get to the point where she is ready to order a new same kettle I was calling about. Perfect, except they have 3,000 of them in a warehouse but she couldn't complete the order for some reason. Her computer/system wasn't letting her. So she offered a different kettle from their website. I told her I didn't like it, I wanted the one I originally bought because I liked the style much more and it matched the Oster toaster we bought. She said she needed a couple of days to see if they can still order that one, which I gave her until Monday. This call took place on Friday. She said she'd call or email me back for sure on Monday to let me know about my replacement, which she did email me. She said that they still can't process the original order and need more time to figure out if they can or not and once again suggested I just take the non-matching stainless replacement.

I asked if I can get a refund so I can go back to the Bay and buy the same kettle (The Bay had stock of it), which she said I can, but I have to ship the product to my local warehouse, at my cost, and wait 10-15 days for it to be processed after they receive it. Not an option, so I told her to just go ahead and process the non-matching replacement. That is the last correspondence I've had and am waiting to hear back. That was almost a week ago and she hasn't replied and I haven't heard anything about the replacement.

The second rep was definitely better and more service oriented than the first one so I appreciated her effort. Any complaints I had were not directed at her but to the company and I told her that so she wouldn't take it personally. However it's been nearly a week since my last email to her but she hasn't written back for some reason, so I'm not sure if she is that different than the first rep.

Bottom line is it's been a frustrating experience trying to get a replacement for the one I bought only 6 months ago, 3,000 of the same kettle are apparently sitting in a warehouse somewhere but they can't seem to order just ONE for an unknown reason. I will never buy another Oster product again, mainly because of the customer service, not the faulty product.

I tried writing this review on their website but after reviewing my review, they rejected it and wouldn't post it. Can you believe that?? I'd review Oster and their kettle 0 stars if possible but I had to click something so I picked a 1 which is too generous. Take from that (really long) review what you will but that was my experience, which isn't complete as of this review unfortunately, so I hope things go smoothly from now until I receive a new kettle, whichever one it ends up being, if one at all.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

Updated on 10/30/2019: FINALLY heard from them in an email, asked for a pic of the oven and a pic of the number on the prong of the plug. Sent both with my address. They say they are going to send me a new one...We shall see, maybe by Christmas? This is my only type of oven to use for cooking so hopefully it won't take too long.

Original review: I bought this oven in January 2019 and first thing I noticed was the cord is super short and it gets HOT and squishy plugged in a reg outlet. 2nd thing I have "branded" burned my arms, hands and fingers all over the oven. 3rd, the timer either starts and freezes, or doesn't start at all but it will cook, and keep on cooking. The timer used to beep at the end of countdown and shut the oven off, now it doesn't shut off unless I push the off button. I have contacted the company but am not holding my breath as I have read they take FOREVER to respond and then drag it on and on as long as they can hoping the person will give up.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

I just purchased this Oster convection oven - the 'function' dial for controlling temperature just spins around - if I set it at its highest setting (450) it does not heat above 300 degrees - repeated attempts met with same results - the other function dials all 'click' as you turn them into position (function-timer). Temperature dial does not.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Blender lasted about 1 year. You will hold for an hour to get someone on phone. Then talk to someone in India that will keep asking for information. Gave them everything they needed. So they then told me I would need to take a picture of blender with case number I was giving and email it back to them. It is obvious they try everything in their power to prevent replacing warranty items. Read Consumer Affairs complaints before buying their products. Bad company!

Original review: July 1, 2019

I received this convection oven as a gift for Christmas. It was extra large which I liked because you could fit an entire extra large pizza into the oven. I quickly learned the oven was not really for "toasting" even though it has a toasting setting. No matter what amount of slices you set it to, it took 15 minutes for a piece of toast!! Ok, so I get over that, then there's the 'pizza' setting that actually broils instead of baking! I was really wondering if I received an item that was somehow mis-wired.

Then the oven door suddenly explodes while I'm standing in front of it one day and there's glass everywhere. Thank goodness the glass was made of that kind of windshield glass that doesn't shatter into shards but breaks into small squares (non-sharp) or I may not have been around to type this review! I had a warranty but we threw the item out afraid it was a fire hazard. Took pictures and sent to OSTER primarily just wanted their company to know this product may be faulty. They said they will replace it but I'm skeptical about owning another one!

Oster author review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

Oster is an American manufacturing company that specializes in small appliances. It was founded in 1924 and bought the Stevens Electric Company in 1946, which had received a patent for a food blender. The Oster brand has since been acquired by Sunbeam. Today Oster is known for a wide variety of kitchen appliances, including roaster ovens, blenders, toasters, rice cookers and more. Oster is the top selling blender brand in America.

• Versa® Pro® Series Blender: This 1400W blender features three smoothie cups and two mini storage jars in addition to its 8 cup blending jar. It comes with a limited seven-year warranty and costs about $300.

• Blend-N-Go® MyBlend® Personal Blender: This mini blender is ideal for individual shakes and smoothies. The blender jar doubles as a serving bottle. It is available in several colors and retails for about $25.

• Classic Series Blender PLUS Food Chopper: This 700W blender doubles as a food processor. Use the S-blade and 3 cup jar to chop fruits and vegetables, or use the four point blade and six cup jar to mix smoothies, shakes and more. It sells for about $40.

• DURALAST™ All Metal Drive: Most Oster blenders have a special metal-to-metal motor that Oster guarantees for up to ten years. Oster says this motor will blend 10,000 smoothies.

• Online resource: Oster offers instruction manuals, helpful tips, recipes and frequently asked questions on its website. If you can’t find the information you need, you can submit a question and get an answer from customer service.

by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

Oster Appliances Company Information