1.43/5

131 Oster Appliances Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 19, 2019

Right door on French door countertop oven shattered - while not in use - three months after warranty expired. I had no issues concerning oven performance. End result - Oster customer service was great. From first call to arrival of new replacement oven was maybe two weeks. I asked for - and received - a different model. Oster made what could have been a frustrating experience into a hassle-free one. Thank you.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I bought the Oster Pro 1200 from Amazon on Feb. 9, 2019. The first time I used the food processor the adaptor stripped out. I called customer service and waited 40 minutes. I sent 3 emails with no response. I called again and after 1 hour 15 minutes a lady answered. She couldn't find my part and requested a photo. She said I should answer the email she would send me. No email arrived.

Get expert buying tips about Blenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Placed a call to Oster customer service because website didn't address my question. Could not find anything about my product on website except for a users' manual, which I already have. There is no way to leave a message on site to be answered later. There is no way to leave telephone number so that call can be returned later. So, I call the customer service number. The voicemail message indicated that there were 8 callers ahead of me. That was 49 minutes ago, and I am still waiting!!! What a way for a company to treat people who have bought its product!!!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

This toaster oven does not have very well defined off location on the dial. The first time I found the oven on after I thought I turned is off, I assumed I turned the dial too far to the “stay on” position. My son used the toaster oven and later found it on and very hot. Everyone in the household was cautioned about turning the dial too far to the stay on position. Then the toaster was found on two more times long after it was used. The toaster oven is turning itself on from what is labeled “0” (zero) on the timer dial. This is extremely dangerous given how hot the toaster oven gets.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I ordered a Oster Roaster back in December. When I thought the order did not go through I reordered. I did not receive any confirmations until 2 hours after making purchase, at this time I realized the order was duplicated. I tried contacting Oster to cancel one of the orders and was unable to do so. Both items came and I refused the one back to UPS. I have sent numerous e-mails to Oster and contacted UPS to track shipment. As of today Jan 24 I have gotten nothing but a negative response from their customer service in which they take at least a week to respond to. They also say that you have to go through 2 billing cycles before they will issue any kind of refund.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oster?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Beware of this convection toaster oven. I read the instructions before I used it--it arrived yesterday & said to put oven on at 450 deg for 15 min. to burn off any manufacturer residue. Not even 3 minutes had gone by & it was up in flames! No off switch, so unplugged & finally was able to douse the flames. My entire house was full of smoke & if I had left it unattended, would have lost everything. This is a very dangerous product & would recommend the manufacturer remove it from stores.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I bought an Oster meat slicer about 35 years ago with green stamps. Just got thru cutting up a partially frozen roast for jerky and it did a perfect job. Blade has never been sharpened. Great product.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Previously had an Oster XL convection/toaster oven which was passed to me because my parents hated the uneven cooking, in addition to the unusable cooking space in comparison to its behemoth size. I accepted it thinking "how bad could it really be?" To my surprise it has an incredibly short cord, not to mention that even though it's larger than my microwave, it holds less. Trying to be optimistic I gave it a chance. However you do have to stand over it & turn your dish because it will incinerate the back, while the front goes uncooked. The adjustable racks are not at all adjustable.

To use the lower rack, along w/ upper, you better have a dish thinner than a pie plate. Plus if you try that it impedes heat from cooking the bottom center of upper dish. AND, due to clearance issue the two dishes aren't interchangeable. Not to mention that if the top dish may bubble over you can forget the second rack for cooking because you have to install the "catch/drip" pan in there.

But, my BIGGEST SURPRISE came when I told parents that the dang thing died on me (really just tossed it in the dumpster). And, after the time had passed from when they gave it to me, mom had forgotten why I ended up w/ it. So she ordered a replacement unit for me. I thought On Geez... But my kitchen was already permanently rearranged to accommodate it. Plus I had the grand illusion of it cooking evenly. NOT a bit better than older one.

However, I'm free of the curse which OSTER/Sunbeam/Newell products had cast over me, because after barely two weeks of use the glass door exploded into thousands of pieces. What a freaking dangerous mess. If you own one, ABSOLUTELY DON'T let your kids or pets go into the same room w/ this time bomb product. It's not worth the risk to even have it in your home. CONTACT MANUFACTURER FOR REFUND... OR AT LEAST JUST TRASH IT. And my advice would be to stay far away from ANY & ALL of their products.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I bought an Oster brand xl toaster oven with a one year warranty and paid extra for an additional 4 years on top of that. 8 months into owning the oven. It stops heating up. It took a week for the Oster support team to respond to my inquiries. They emailed me that they needed specific information. Which I provided. Took them an additional week to get back to me after I sent them that only to tell me they needed the original invoice too. Which I provided immediately. That's was almost a week ago. 4 days after I gave them all that information I emailed them again to ask them if they were hoping I would get tired of waiting and just go buy another. Naturally I got no response back.

I will NEVER buy anything by Oster again. Never. This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life when dealing with a big brand like this. I bought their product thinking they were a solid company that cared about their products and whether or not their customers are happy with them. Clearly I was very wrong about this. They are the worst. I didn't even want to give them a one star rating. Apparently it's the lowest you can go. They don't deserve even that.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I wanted to alert you to a problem I experienced with the Oster TSSTTVXLDG Extra Large Digital Toaster Oven. I purchased this item in Sept 2017. Tonight (7/9/2018) after heating some tater tots, the oven was cooling down. I reached for the glass door handle and the glass shattered throwing shards everywhere. I did not put any weight on the handle, I just grabbed it, was about to open it but had not pulled yet. This is a very dangerous thing to happen.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Just want to warn people to be extremely careful if you have this. (I'd feel terrible if I didn't.) Made toast today (have only had the product in use for a few days). When the toast looked done enough, turned the toast timer knob to zero. (There is NO off button or neutral setting other than the "0".) Several hours later, found that the knob was somehow in "Stay On" mode - which directly adjacent to the left of the "zero". There is not any way to indicate that the timer is not in that zone.

The oven had been on at 450 degrees (toaster setting) for several hours. The cabinet it was under was very hot. Every spot on the toaster was too hot to handle. Used oven mitt to move the appliance and unplug it. Unplugging this oven is the only way to ensure that it is off. This toaster oven does not have an "off" button or any "off" settings on any of the dials. We have never before had any appliance with a user interface that is this dangerous. Returning it to Costco.

Original review: May 19, 2018

The Oster Toaster Oven is fine except it won't keep accurate time. It gains about 1/2 hour per day and I can't figure out under what circumstances it does that. I have reset the clock many, many times.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I bought an Oster Convection Countertop Oven a few days ago. I left the oven off and when I came back home the entire house was full of smoke everywhere. The oven parts have burned and the vents too have severe burns that are visible. Apparently there is an auto mode function that allows it to turn back on. The entire house was full of smoke and this is a very dangerous feature. I have never experienced a scary call like this. I saw the Consumer Affairs report and there are many complaints regarding this product. My countertop and wall sustained damage.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Was using my electric skillet and the glass lid shattered in a thousand pieces, while on the appliance simmer setting. Was there a recall on this that I'm not aware of? Model number ckstskfm05, 3077401,1500 watt. Please contact me with information. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I purchased the Oskar 2-In-1 Salad Prep And Food Processor (FPSTFP4100) three days ago with the hopes of reducing my prep time. I didn’t need anything sophisticated and this product appeared to be the perfect fit for my needs. In reading the user guide, I discovered one of the slice/shred discs was missing. No biggie, these things happen, right? On my fourth attempt at contacting Jarden-Oster Customer Service at (800) 334-0759, I was finally connected with Lynn. I conveyed the situation and requested the absent blade. To my discredit, I wasn’t sure which blade I was missing, but explained I had the one which appears to make 1/8” slices and noted the parts weren’t numbered. I was on break while calling from work and had the forethought to bring the disc and user guide with me.

I had also located the same model on the website before my call in an attempt to be as prepared as possible. Lynn was completely dissatisfied by me, my situation, and anything I tried to communicate. She cut me off mid-sentence by saying, “Listen. I can’t help you. It’s not my fault you’re not at home to look at the base and can’t tell me which model number you bought. What you need to do is take it back to the store and get another one.” I felt I was being baited into an argument, so I asked to speak to somebody else. That’s when Lynn dumped me back onto the phone tree where my call lingered for about twenty minutes. I was reconnected to Bianca and, in retelling my situation, she expressed concern for my purchase and how I’d been handled to that point.

She simply asked, “How many holes are there on the disc you have?” and, with my answer, she explained I was missing the thick-slice blade. She then asked me for my address and told me it’d be here in about a week. How hard was that, Lynn? Seriously. I asked to speak to a person of authority so that I could praise Bianca. Mr. **, I hope you get my voicemail. Please recognize Bianca for her ability to evaluate, redirect, and rebuild a failing customer interaction. In total, I spent over a half-hour this morning (36:47 by my phone log) requesting something for which I’ve already paid. I haven’t used it yet, but maybe I can recoup my waste of time with this new food processor… (Based upon what I’ve read from other reviews here, my sense of relief may be premature.)

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

This Oster Countertop TSSTTVCG04 toaster oven is very dangerous. Both my wife and myself have burned our hands on the handle of this unit. As you lower the door with the handle the metal strip that the handle is attached to rotates toward your hand or fingers. I burned the top of my fingers as I let go of the handle in full open position. My wife also was burned twice. We have had it a month. This was replacing a different unit we had for years.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I purchased the above Convection Countertop Oven (TSSTTVXLDG-002) on April 1, 2017. It has been working fairly well, although, it does get extremely HOT on the outside. Enough to burn you or if you have any children if they get close. The MAIN reason I am writing this is on Sunday when I had a Chicken Pot Pie in the oven on WARM the glass to the door completely SHATTERED into millions of pieces. The oven itself was not HOT it was "Warm" as it should be. The glass went all over the floor, countertop and inside the oven itself. It was an unbelievable site and shocking!

Needless to say no one could eat the Pie because the shards of the glass were all around the top of the pie which it did have a lid on the dish. I did buy this at Wal-Mart and I do have the receipt, but not the box. Because who would have thought the oven glass door would have exploded!! I spoke with an assistant Manager and said I could swap it out not give us a refund because we threw out the box. How stupid is this? This is a HAZARD to all. I have noticed on some other comments this is an on going Problem. This needs to be pulled from all stores and recalled back to the Manufacturer. I did send Oster an email, but I have my doubts I will even hear from them. Oster used to have a name for themselves. Believe me when I tell you they do not anymore. Do not buy this product. It is apparent that Oster does not care about their product or their customers. How sad.

Original review: July 9, 2017

Toaster Oven - The touch pad does not respond to touch. I set it to toast or bake or broil, adjust the temperature and press start. Nothing! I will never buy another Oster product. The touch pad is useless.

Original review: May 14, 2017

Have had toaster (model TSSTTVCG03) oven for about 18 months. No problems, today made toaster waffle, unit shut off. Went into kitchen. Unit was on??? And I heard faint ticking of the timer. Turned toaster oven back on for 5 min., watched lower knob, it shut unit off, yet continued to tick, it moved the knob to stay on and turned the unit back on. If I had not been home I am sure I would have had a fire. I notified Oster via online today. Also found saferproducts.gov and sent complaint #20170514-73443-2147401503, also while on that site someone had the same problem with the same unit. Their report number is #20120101-1b05e-2147437113.

Original review: April 3, 2017

I purchased two bread makers directly from the Oster/Jarden Online store. After waiting 7 days for a email confirmation of the shipping, I finally grew impatient and emailed customer service. I was notified two days later that they canceled my order because they didn't have any inventory. Would it not be appropriate and considerate to notify their customers when canceling their orders on them? Also, wouldn't it be nice if they didn't advertise merchandise as for sale and available when it really is not? Thank you Oster/Jarden for putting me in bind now that I waited this long for the merchandise I thought I had purchased. Very poor experience. Don't trust this company's online store.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

Purchased an Oster breadmaker off of Amazon.com. The kneading blade was missing straight out of the box. I figured this would be no problem for oster customers service and that they would simply send me the part. After opening 2 tickets with their customer service with no response for 3 weeks, I finally called them and got ahold of someone who barely spoke english. After telling them my problem, they proceed to tell me that they do not have the part or the bread maker and that I am simply SOL. So, instead, I contact Amazon customer service which is AMAZING and they simply send me a whole new bread maker and have the old one picked up and returned.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

We have had the toaster for six months and have not been satisfied with its performance. The toast is not browned evenly, a slight increase in temperature burns the toast. The toast is completely dry when it pops out. We have now replaced the unit.

Original review: July 31, 2016

Fire Hazard - I used the Oven/Toaster TSSTTVDFL2-D to toast some bread. I served the food and when I return to the kitchen the plastic that holds the handle were melted.

Original review: July 1, 2016

The short story is this: We were pre-heating the toaster oven to cook a meal. My wife was walking towards the toaster oven, (less than 2 minutes from turning it on) when suddenly, the entire glass door shattered in small glass pieces all over the floor. Even the handle flew off. The temp was set at 325, but regardless of the temp, it is a product failure. Someone (or our pets) could have been significantly injured. Its model # TSSTTVSKBT. Further, we called Oster and they said it was a warranty issue. Completely devoid of the notion that it is a safety and health issue. They were "doing us a favor" by offering a 10% discount. NEVER EVER would I recommend or purchase their products again. We will report this to Consumer protection safety commission.

Original review: June 5, 2016

I bought the Oster coffee maker last January because it comes in my favorite color – pink. I love that it comes with a free tumbler that fits exactly at the spot where the coffee is coming out. I also like that it is very easy to use – you just have to fill it with water and your favorite coffee beans then you're all set! Plus, the good thing about this maker is that its capacity is just enough for one or two people so that you won't be producing too much coffee which will become stale later on if not consumed. It's also very easy to clean. This is definitely one of my favorite appliance in my kitchen.

Original review: May 22, 2016

My mom and dad got their Oster food processor 32 years ago. They had it for 25 years and we used it for processing fruits, making pesto sauce and baby food. We had to replace it because my friend borrowed it and put ice in it, the glass broke, he never replaced the thing. We bought another oster, and I hope it lasts decades like the old one my parents had.

Original review: April 18, 2016

Oster Convection Toaster Oven Model # TSSTTVDFL2 - I purchased this toaster oven for my wife for Christmas 2015. About 2 months ago, the oven door handle fell off because the screws through the oven door into the plastic handle holder melted from the heat of the oven. Wal-Mart refused a replacement for this. I want a safer replacement or safer heat resistant handle holders for this oven. We love how well it works, but melting parts! This is a potential fire hazard. Bring your products back to the USA where consumer safety is a real concern. I do not have the receipt anymore - not sure what happened to it.

Original review: March 27, 2016

I purchased a counter top toaster oven from Oster because my other 2 Osters were wonderful!! What happened??? This oven is disgraceful and so is Oster. This oven is dangerous and has burned everything I have tried to cook -- I put something in it tonight that was supposed to take 55 minutes --- 17 minutes later it was burnt. I want my money back and I want it now. I feel like we need a class action suit against the maker of this oven. I'm going to look for another oven and I've already spread the word to everyone what this oven is doing. I'm going to check the temp to see how bad it really is. This company has a president's office and I'm gonna call them... "Hey Oster??? You suck and you are lousy at customer." Furthermore, I will contact Walmart about this product...

Original review: Feb. 12, 2016

I find myself for the first time in 49 years writing to complain about a product that is so poorly designed that not only does it not function properly it is extremely dangerous to the point of having almost caused a house fire and having burned its operators on several occasions. The product model number is TSSTTRDFL1 Oster Toaster. This is supposed to be a 4 slice toaster and had bagel option. The design of the lifts allowed toast and even bagels to slip past the lifts and jam the mechanism causing bread to catch fire or smoke out.

Forget about trying to warm up pop tarts. Burnt fingers, wrists trying to recover the trapped food. We finally got to the point we knew if left in use we would become victims of fire. We are fairly poor so coming up with another $80 to $100 dollars was not going to happen so we went without for a long time. We were finally able to purchase a Hamilton Beach 4 slice toaster that works as it should without trying to kill us.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2015

Please DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING FROM JARDEN CONSUMER SOLUTION or the brand Oster. I have tried to order a roaster over directly from this company on their website on Cyber Monday. They cancelled my order TWICE and after spending a hour on their so called support line TWICE, I was told the product should have been taken off their website and is backordered 4-6 weeks so they cancelled my order and will not honor the price when the product is back in stock. SO basically they could not CARE LESS about their customers. DO you really want to buy something from this kind of company? If you do... Good luck!

Oster expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

Oster is an American manufacturing company that specializes in small appliances. It was founded in 1924 and bought the Stevens Electric Company in 1946, which had received a patent for a food blender. The Oster brand has since been acquired by Sunbeam. Today Oster is known for a wide variety of kitchen appliances, including roaster ovens, blenders, toasters, rice cookers and more. Oster is the top selling blender brand in America.

• Versa® Pro® Series Blender: This 1400W blender features three smoothie cups and two mini storage jars in addition to its 8 cup blending jar. It comes with a limited seven-year warranty and costs about $300.

• Blend-N-Go® MyBlend® Personal Blender: This mini blender is ideal for individual shakes and smoothies. The blender jar doubles as a serving bottle. It is available in several colors and retails for about $25.

• Classic Series Blender PLUS Food Chopper: This 700W blender doubles as a food processor. Use the S-blade and 3 cup jar to chop fruits and vegetables, or use the four point blade and six cup jar to mix smoothies, shakes and more. It sells for about $40.

• DURALAST™ All Metal Drive: Most Oster blenders have a special metal-to-metal motor that Oster guarantees for up to ten years. Oster says this motor will blend 10,000 smoothies.

• Online resource: Oster offers instruction manuals, helpful tips, recipes and frequently asked questions on its website. If you can’t find the information you need, you can submit a question and get an answer from customer service.

• Best for: Those needing a high powered blender for everyday use and those who need a mini blender.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

Oster Appliances Company Information