Best Refrigerator Brands
Updated on 02/28/2018
Refrigerators are an essential home appliance and a modern marvel. They make it possible to store food safely for long periods of time and enable consumers to buy fruits and vegetables even if they’re out of season.
Whether you're in the market for a compact refrigerator for a small space or a large appliance for a family home, you'll want to carefully consider the features you want from a refrigerator company before deciding on a purchase. Consider where and how a refrigerator will fit into a kitchen, then decide on size, features and exterior design.
Thanks for subscribing!You’ll be the first to receive our tips and recommendations. Stay tuned!
Compare Reviews for Top Refrigerator Brands
Read 2387 Reviews
Kenmore, a subsidiary business of Sears Holdings Corporation, makes a wide range of home appliances for the kitchen and laundry room. The company offers a range of refrigerators in many different styles and sizes.
Read 807 Reviews
Viking, located in Greenwood, MS, is a luxury home appliance company that became famous for creating high-quality gas ranges. The company also makes customized built-in refrigerators that match the kitchen's design.
Read 2965 Reviews
Samsung is a Korean-based appliance and electronics company that sells a range of home appliances. The company is known for creating tech-forward refrigerators that have advanced features like WiFi connectivity.
Read 2307 Reviews
LG is a Korean company that sells several kinds of appliances and electronics. The company offers refrigerators intended for use in residential kitchens, and its fridges come in a wide and varied range of styles and sizes.
Read 1445 Reviews
Whirlpool is a company that first became known for creating electric, motorized washing machines. Today, it makes many more home appliances, and one of the most popular is their refrigerators, which come in a range of styles.
Read 1118 Reviews
Frigidaire is an appliance company that became well-known for creating refrigerators. The business is headquartered in Augusta, Georgia, and it sells refrigerators in a wide and varied range of sizes, shapes and styles.
Read 1729 Reviews
General Electric, or GE, is headquartered in Fairfield, Connecticut. The company has long been considered one of the leading home appliance companies in the world. GE sells a wide variety of refrigerators for home kitchens.
|Sears Appliance - Refrigerators|
Read 990 Reviews
Sears is a large department store that was founded in 1893 and headquartered in Illinois. Today the company sells a wide variety of appliances for the kitchen, including refrigerators, and it is known for its value.
Read 896 Reviews
KitchenAid, headquartered in Benton Harbor, MI, is an appliance company that offers a wide range of refrigerators for home kitchens. The company is known for being the first business to create a five-door refrigerator.
Read 992 Reviews
Maytag makes washers and dryers, central heat and air units and kitchen appliances like refrigerators and freezers. They have two models of chest freezers and three models of upright freezers, ranging from $549-$849.
What features matter most in a refrigerator?
Ease of use
It's important to have a refrigerator that is easy to use and has the right amount of accessibility.
- Doors and drawers: The size and weight of doors and drawers on a fridge vary. Some doors will be quite heavy, so kids might have a hard time opening them. Others are light and can swing back and forth on the hinge, but these doors can easily be left open.
- Versatility: Does the refrigerator allow you to switch the side that the door swings on? This feature is convenient when a fridge is installed and the door will not open all the way because of a wall or cabinet, the door then can be switched to fit the space.
- Freezer position: Most refrigerators will come with a freezer, this freezer can be located in different positions. There are bottom drawer freezer refrigerators, making it easy to reach your fresh food without having to bend over. There are top door refrigerators, which are best for people who need access to ice and frozen foods. There are also refrigerators where the fridge and freezer are positioned side-by-side, making access to both very easy.
Refrigerators come in a variety of sizes and it's important to choose the right one depending on what kind of space is available and what a consumer's needs are.
- Compact: Compact refrigerators are small and have much less storage space than full-size refrigerators. They are typically very affordable but have very small freezers and come with few extra features.
- Mid-size: Basic refrigerators are functional for a single-family home or individual but lack some of the features of more expensive appliances. The materials used to make them are usually less quality, such as plastic.
- Large models: Some companies specialize in large models, for both residential and commercial needs. These are best for restaurants or hotels that need lots of refrigerator space.
Depending on whether you are looking for a small, cost-efficient refrigerator or a large appliance for your business, the cost can vary greatly. Some companies provide less expensive solutions and others focus on making a luxury product.
- Budget: There are many budget refrigerators available, whether they are tiny, compact versions or are made of cheaper materials. These cost less up front but may have to be serviced or replaced more often.
- Basic: Some refrigerator companies offer middle-of-the-line models that offer plenty of storage space and are perfectly functional but might lack extra features, such as icemakers or energy efficiency.
- Luxury: These feature more expensive materials, such as stainless steel, and expensive technologies, such as smart temperatures, CleanFlow Air Filters and wi-fi.
The general aesthetic of the fridge is also a key factor in making a choice.
- Finish: Stainless Steel finishes are durable and attractive but also show fingerprints and dirt easily. Other materials, like plastic and faux stainless, can be less expensive and conceal dirt a bit better.
- Depth: Depending on the space, the depth of a refrigerator can sometimes make a room feel crowded or take over the whole aesthetic of the kitchen. Look for one that is space-appropriate and doesn't stick out from the cabinets or wall too much.
- Interior storage: Does the refrigerator have enough storage space in the body and doors to make sure that it doesn't look cluttered and messy? Some refrigerators come with adjustable shelves and storage features.
Additional company offerings
Some refrigerator companies have special offerings that help them stand out from their competitors.
- Knowledgeability: The company should be knowledgeable about the types of refrigerators on the market and its current models should feature the latest technology.
- Warranties: A good refrigerator company offers warranties that ensure your new refrigerator will stay functional over time. Standard warranties included with purchase normally cover repairs and defects for up to one year, but some companies allow customers to purchase extended service and repair plans.
- Accessibility: A refrigerator company should be able to offer customer support over the phone or online chat, as well as have certified technicians available to you so your refrigerator can be serviced or replaced right away.
Many refrigerator companies offer green alternatives that are friendlier to the environment.
- Energy efficiency: Some refrigerator companies only sell refrigerators that are energy efficient in order to reduce the impact of energy use on the environment.
- App connection: Many refrigerators have features where they can be connected to an app, this app can control them remotely so you can fine-tune energy consumption.
- Money-saving: Customers will save money on their energy bills by reducing the amount of power needed to operate their refrigerators.
What are the different types of refrigerators suppliers?
Residential refrigerator suppliers
Residential refrigerator companies cater to homeowners who need small to mid-sized refrigerators. These are usually moderately priced, but can come in luxury versions as well. Important features for homeowners are storage capacity, easy to use functions, easy to clean surfaces, size and the amount of time the fridge should last.
Commercial building suppliers
Many commercial businesses need refrigerators. Some companies provide refrigerators that meet professional licensing and health code requirements. Others provide refrigerators with extra freezer space so that restaurants can store food for longer periods.
Wine and drinks cooler suppliers
Some companies focus on wine and beverage coolers designed to keep drinks cool. Coolers, also known as cellars, can be standard size models or large sized models. Some coolers are elaborate refrigerators with space for hundreds of drinks. They also come in discount and luxury models.
Counter-depth fridge suppliers
Counter-depth fridges are built into the counter and are convenient for homeowners or restaurants that want a seamless look. They take up less space but also provide less storage than traditional fridges. They are usually wider to compensate for the lack of depth.
Compact refrigerator suppliers
Some companies make compact refrigerators that easily fit into small places, like under a counter. These fridge types are perfect for small spaces such as dorm rooms or small apartments.
Who can benefit from a refrigerator?
All homeowners will be interested in having a refrigerator in their kitchen. The type and style of the fridges will vary between each household based on the customer home and lifestyle.
Restaurants need plenty of space to cool and store large quantities of frozen food. They often shop for large, industrial refrigerators and freezers that meet health code standards.
College students often in the market for small compact refrigerators. Most students live in a dorm room or apartment complex that doesn't have a lot of space. Small fridges allow them to keep their essential food needs and make more available space.
Many businesses provide refrigerators in their offices for their employees. Businesses could be in the market for any type or size of refrigerator. A business might want a small compact fridge for essential needs or a large wine and drinks cooler to stock drinks and other goods for their employees and clients.
Refrigerator expert reviews
Kenmore is a recognized brand in the appliance industry and has been around over 100 years. Kenmore offers high-quality refrigerators in a wide range of sizes and models at affordable prices.
Viking is a luxury brand of appliances that became famous for its line of stove ranges. The company sells a wide variety of appliances, including refrigerators, and is based in Greenwood, Mississippi.
Whirlpool is an American multinational manufacturer and marketer of home appliances that makes a number of different styles of refrigerators. The company manufactures refrigerators under a number of different brand names.
GE, or General Electric, is an American appliance manufacturer headquartered in Fairfield, Connecticut. The company ranks as the 26th largest firm in the United States, according to the Fortune 500.
LG, formerly known as Lucky Goldstar, is a Korean appliances company. The company, based in Chaebol, South Korea, has been in business since 1947.
Sub-Zero has long been one of the leading lines of refrigeration products. The company was founded in 1945 in Madison, Wisconsin.
Samsung is a Korean appliance company known for creating a wide range of electronics and home appliances. The company, based in Seoul, Korea, was founded in 1938.
While Frigidaire sells a wide range of appliances, the company has long been known for specializing in refrigerators and freezers. Frigidaire headquarters are in the heart of Augusta, Georgia.
KitchenAid is an American home appliance brand owned by Whirlpool. The company began in 1919, and it makes a variety of refrigerator sizes and styles.
Haier is one of the largest home appliance companies in the world. The company began in Qingdao, China and was founded in 1984.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.
Compare Reviews for Top Refrigerator Brands
Read 132 Reviews
Sub-Zero Appliances, headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin, has long been considered one of the leading luxury home appliance companies in the world. The company is well known for its custom built-in refrigerators.
Read 134 Reviews
Haier refrigerators are made by Haier Group, which is the global leader in appliances. The company makes a wide range of refrigerator products and styles, including under-counter, French door and top-freezer refrigerators.
Read 109 Reviews
Liebherr refrigerators are made by the Liebherr Group, which was founded by members of the Liebherr family in 1949. The company manufactures a wide range of products and appliances worldwide, including refrigerators.
Read 17 Reviews
Thermador Refrigerators are stand-alone, modular refrigerator units that can be arranged to fit the customer’s kitchen space. Their Freedom line are designed with features like LED lighting and full-extension drawers.
Read 33 Reviews
Hotpoint is a company that focuses solely on creating appliances for the home. The company, which was founded in 1918 by Earl Richardson and George A. Hughes, invented things such as the first refrigerator on wheels.
Read 179 Reviews
Jenn-Air is a company that has been making a range of appliances, including refrigerators, since 1961. The company is headquartered in Benton Harbor, Michigan, and it has multiple manufacturing plants across the United States.
Read 17 Reviews
Avanti manufactures compact and mid-size refrigerators for apartments and other small spaces. The company has been in the appliance business for over 40 years. Their products are available online and at many mass market retailers.
|Danby Refrigerators||Read 14 Reviews|
Danby manufactures several small appliances including refrigerators and freezers. The offer mid-sized refrigerators and mini fridges for small spaces. The company has been in business more than 65 years and is family owned.
Read 10 Reviews
GE icemakers are made by General Electric, a large electronics company that is based in Fairfield, Connecticut. The company sells refrigerators, freezers and icemakers. It also provides common ice maker accessories and parts.
Read 10 Reviews
Igloo branded refrigerators are designed for small spaces, with capacities between 1.6 and 7.2 cubic feet. Curtis International Ltd. is the licensed manufacture for Igloo refrigerators. They’re available online and in stores.