Find an Appliances partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Hunter Fans Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hunter Fans?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hunter Fans?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

I installed 5 ceiling fans on my home. So far, 3 out of 5 have completely failed. I'm simply waiting for the other two to fail. These fans are garbage and nobody should even consider them as reliable. If you love climbing up and down ladders and replacing a fan every year or two, go for it.

Original review: June 26, 2021

I've installed perhaps 10 ceiling fans in my life - some easy, some not so easy. The Swanson model Hunter fan was the absolute worst of all by a long shot. The "Installation Manual" was worthless. The "complete" instructions were given in 15 steps covering about half of an 8 1/2" x 11" page total. The numbered steps were not sequential but rather scattered nonsensically around the page. Directly under step #1 is step #3, and under that is step #6 and under that is step #2! Step #4 is to the left of step #2, and so on.

Attaching the motor to the ceiling bracket is not intuitive and the printed instructions did not give any hints or suggestions. The 3 bolts in step #11 are misplaced in the drawing and do NOT go into the cover in the direction shown by the arrows. Plus, the screw holes in the cover for step #10 were coated over with so much paint/enamel such that the bolts would NOT go into the holes. Fortunately I had a tap (from a tap and die set) that matched the thread pitch and bolt diameter so that I could clean out the holes for the bolts to be inserted. Whoever wrote up the instructions and whoever approved them for print should be fired and put out to pasture. This is an abomination.

Get buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 2, 2021

In less than five years the thermal limiter in Hunter fan model 52105 went out making the light kit useless. No lights. A call to Hunter Fan reveals that this small fuse is not available unless you buy the entire wiring harness. Apparently, this is a frequent problem with Hunter fans based on the number of Youtube videos for replacing it, or bypassing it. With a problem this frequent, the fan company should logically offer the exact replacement part instead of gouging the consumer by having to buy the entire wiring harness as this small part simply plugs in. Sad commentary to the depths of poor quality that Hunter Fan has descended.

Original review: May 9, 2021

Would give 0 stars if I could. First they create a label, tracking of that label tells me fan will arrive Tuesday. Tuesday comes and goes with nothing, I email them, get ignored, after hours of trying to get ahold of someone (everyone I talked to was incredibly rude). I spend an entire day trying to convince them that a shipping label was made but the product never shipped, basically get called a liar repeatedly, they refused to refund me or cancel the order. This is 3 days after I was supposed to already have the fan. Finally I end up calling FedEx and tell them to cancel the tracking number and NOT pick this package up, after that they finally believed me and refunded me BUT did not refund me my shipping payment, for something that never actually shipped. I've encountered some terrible customer service before but these people take the cake. Give me my remaining $10 back and this review comes down. But for now be warned, this company is horrible.

Original review: April 30, 2021

We purchased (2) model 50599 Clyde Hill fans. I had to have some one Install them because I'm disabled. With the pandemic it took some time to get someone out. After installation the light on the fan would dim down then get brighter all on its own. This took a few minutes before it would happen. It happen on one unit right away the other took a few weeks before it started. I contact Hunter and they stated that the dimming function was turned on and went and told me steps to fix it by reprograming the remote. I did what they said to do and it did not work. So the technician said he would send out a new transceiver. So once received I had to hire the guy back to install it.

Then a few days later the second one started doing it. Again they sent out a new transceiver. I had to hire the guy again to install it (We are now 120.00 in fees to install) as he is working on the second fan. The first fan starts dimming and getting brighter again on its own. I called again and was on hold for over an hour waiting for a technician. I could not have the installer waiting around so I told him to wire the fans with out the remote. I'm on a fix income and was being charged by the hour. So to have him waiting for a response from the technician (not knowing how long that was going to take) and thinking Hunter was going to tell me to send it back for a replacement or send out another transceiver I thought this was the best bet.

Well the tech answered the phone reviewed the multiple e-mails sent and the multiple phone calls said the the problem is the dimmer function is on and needs to be turned off. Just do these simple steps and it will resolve your problem. Well I told him a tech already had me reprogram the remote. I told him what was done previously and was informed that what I did was paired the remote to the fan not disable the dimmer function. I was misinformed. I guarantee this will solve the problem. I told him due to the wait time I sent the installer home and had him wire it with out the remote. He apologized and said well your fan is working there is nothing else they can do. So here I am with a fan that I paid for a remote and 120.00 to install and no remote.

Original review: March 27, 2021

After watching several YouTubes on how to install a ceiling fan, I ran into 2 issues that took 2 calls to Hunter to fix. The fan motor hummed and the remote did not function properly. The 1st tech call told me to change out the dimmer switch on my wall to a single-pole switch. The humming stopped and the remote was able to manage the fan speeds properly. BUT the light for the fan did not respond to the remote, or so I thought. The 2nd Hunter tech recognized that I had to press the light switch for 5 secs as it can dim the lights and raise them, too. BINGO! The fan operates correctly now. I had been ready to return it to Costco as "junk." But patience saved me. Maybe if I were an electrician, I would have known why the fan hummed and the light appeared to be broken. Better instructions from Hunter would've helped, too.

Original review: March 26, 2021

I purchased 3 Hunter ceiling fans year and a half ago and one of them quit working. When you turn it on the motor just hums. Called Hunter, explained what was going on. They insisted I have the original receipt, I don't have it the person that I paid to install it, didn't give me a receipt for the fan it's self, just a bill for the job. The customer service rep I spoke with said without the original receipt too bad. So I asked to speak with a supervisor, after speaking with the supervisor he said the same thing too bad. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy anything from Hunter.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

Make darn sure you are really in love with the design of your fan, because Hunter will accept returned products, but will not issue you credit back. In other words, they are crooks and will STEAL from you. Here are the details: We ordered 5 fans for our new home and decided to immediately return 2, because we discovered after receiving the product, that the fan design did not fit our decor at all. We immediately called customer support and asked to return 2 of the fans, and we were provided with 1 RMA. After several additional back and forths, the customer care rep finally understood that we were returning 2 products and eventually issued us a second RMA. We shipped the 2 products back to Hunter, and they sent us an email, confirmimg receipt of the returned products.

After many weeks of not seeing a credit back to our charge account, we contacted Hunter again and were told that it takes 30 days from the time the product is returned to when we can expect to see a credit posted. After 45 days from the return of the products, we contacted Hunter again to inquire, and told them that we would start a formal complaint through our credit card company. About 3 days later we received a credit, but only for one fan -- not both. After repeated inquiries, Hunter has now told us that they are not obligated to return credit for the second returned fan, because we told them that we would be pursuing the matter with our credit card company, and that it is now the responsibility of the credit card company to issue us credit. What?

So the bottom line is that Hunter Fan is a criminal enterprise. They will sell you product, take it back in stock and keep your money. The Federal Trade Commission needs to investigate this organization and look deeply into their deceptive, criminal activities. Of course that won't happen, cause we're the little guys and who cares about $240? It's only funny money. Consider this a fair warning, Caveat emptor!!!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

I purchased a ceiling fan and shipment was delayed due to the Pandemic so there was no product when the electrician arrived. There was a 2 month wait for the electrician to return (pandemic related) and tell me the fan was too small. I initiated a return the very next morning only to be told the return window had closed the day before. There is nothing the company will do to extend the return. The box has never been opened. I am shocked and saddened by this response by what I thought was a strong, reputable company. I will not purchase another Hunter fan again based on this very frustrating experience. My children are just in the house buying stage of their lives and I will be sure and share my thoughts on products with them also.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

I purchased the Hunter fan Model numbers 50427, not a cheap one. The box did not say that there are no smart bulbs that fit this model. The problem is the light socket is small like a night light and the bulbs are slim. I have tried to find smart bulbs but they are not made. The smart bulbs that are small like a chandelier bulb but has a small socket. I tried a socket reducer but the wifi cannot connect because of the metal reducer is too thick to connect. I called the Hunter fan company and told them if they would've had some information on the box that there are no smart bulbs to fit it, I would've never bought it. There is a marketing problem. When I told Hunter this information the only thing they offered me was to purchase a $50 dollar remote. I will never buy another Hunter ceiling fan!

Hunter Fans Company Information