Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
3.53/5

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

277 Hunter Fans Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 10, 2019

Installed new Hunter fan and it did not work correctly. I called customer support for existing customers and waited on hold over an hour and no one would ever answer the phone. I hung up and called the 800 number a second time but this time I asked for new customer support. They answered the phone in 35 seconds. They place all of their customer support in new sales and none in existing customers. The product is of very low quality with no support for existing customers.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I have a Hunter ceiling fan/light combo, Model 28736. The lights stopped working, but the fan worked fine. Turns out all such devices have a thermal fuse (also called a fusible link or wattage limiter). I think such fuses are required by FTC. Anyway, this part had failed. Called Hunter, but they said they no longer make the model, so they would not help me find the part. They offered a discount on a new fan/light: for a $5-$10 part! I asked to be connected to their engineering or design departments, to find out what part they use on their current models. All fan/lights must have one. They refused!

They refused to tell me from what company they get the part. They completely stonewalled me at every turn. This company does not deserve to have more customers, if this is how they treat them. I finally called DigiKey, an electronics supply company. They found a replacement in about 2 minutes! No big deal. Stay away from the Hunter brand, if you expect any service.

Get expert buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 5, 2019

Installed a new fan/light. Light worked, fan just hummed. Customer service offered to send me a replacement part to try and repair. They have not responded to my emails. I will never purchase any of their products in the future.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I bought a Channing ceiling fan model 52070 and in less than a year the fan stopped working! I called about 6 times and after 30 minutes a call no respond just listening to a classic music. I called the sales department and they answer in less than 4 minutes. I explained to the sales person Lisa the situation and she said let me find someone to help 33 minutes later and no one on the line. Very bad product and bad customer service. Don't buy.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have been installing ceiling fans for 30 years. Unless a customer had a brand preference, I would always recommend Hunter brand. But over the past 4 or so years, that has changed. I feel that Hunter Fans don't deliver the air velocity and movement vs other store brands, and I have recently had issues with wobble when I've installed Hunter. Overall, I have more callbacks on Hunter Fans than others. I've had 7 capacitors fail over the past 4 years and 2 on/off switches have failed on fans that weren't over 3 years old. Hunter has, in my opinion, cheapened their brand in order to compete with Home Depot and Lowe's store brands... and they've compromised their previous quality in the process.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hunter Fans?

Original review: April 10, 2019

I have bought numerous Hunter Fans over the years. Recently had one that stopped working after we had water seepage in our basement after a severe storm. Our electrician said that it was shot and did not think it could be repaired. I researched the warranty info and knew that I needed the receipt, but could not find it at the time. So, we repaired the storm damage and replaced the broken fan with two new Hunter Fans.

Two weeks later I found the receipt and called Hunter to see about a credit or what they could do to honor their warranty. I was told that the fan needed to be in place so they could troubleshoot and see if the problem could be fixed before any credit would be offered. This is not mentioned in the warranty. They finally agreed to offer a loyalty discount on my next fan and said to call when I was ready to buy one. They were supposed to send an email about this, but it was never received. So beware of their warranty. It does not amount to much.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Hunter celing fan bluetooth pairing. Purchased two Hunter Ceiling Fans 3 years ago and had them professionally installed. Had an enormous problem pairing two separate bedrooms. Hunter reluctantly sent a new receiver and transmitter which fixed the problem. We lost power in early March 2019. Called Hunter Technical support, waited for 20 minutes on hold - at 5:00pm EST they hung up.

Finally got Technical support to answer the next day. Flippantly told me there is a 12 step process to pair the fans. Up and down the steps to turn off/on the breaker, run upstairs and push two buttons. do this about 20 times. Still cannot pair the bedroom B unit. No help from Hunter. BUYER BEWARE...If you want multiple fans controlled separately Hunter may not the your best choice. Dales **

Original review: March 14, 2019

Installed a brand new Hunter ceiling fan model 53159. The light kit pull did not engage therefore lights did not work. Talked with Lowe’s and informed the fan was discontinued. Contacted Hunter and interacted with rude customer service agent. Informed part was back ordered (couple of months). That should be a red flag to all reading this review. Taking fan back to Lowe’s. Hunter's best days seem to be behind them.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I'm reviewing Hunter ceiling fans because they DO NOT honor their lifetime warranty on ceiling fans. I had a ceiling fan for about 5 years that broke a fan chain. They "discontinued" the ceiling fan and didn’t have a replacement. CSR at Hunter rude and disrespectful. Did not offer replacement...just a 10% discount (Same as Lowe's gave me). Bought a Harbor Freight based on the recommendations from associates at Lowe’s that states Hunter ceiling fans does not honor their warranties. Highly disappointed in Hunter ceiling fans!

Original review: March 9, 2019

Short version: we bought 3 Hunter Fans and had them all professionally installed by a certified electrician and had to replace 2 units as the motor was not sitting properly. We returned both and reinstalled the new ones well. At least this time we only had to take 1 back for the same problem. I called customer service to have them not only send me out a new fan (I will return for refund and buy another brand) but to help with the install cost as it cost $400 in total labour to put up and take down. They did not cover any cost and I am still waiting for my replacement fan (3 weeks).

Original review: March 8, 2019

I purchased a Hunter fan in 2010. In 2013 the light switch started flickering and then finally went out. This was the same time we had a new baby. I didn't bother to do anything about it until I caught up on sleep 5 years later. I called Hunter and described the problem. They told me to purchase a new light switch. So I did for $29.99 and hooked it up. Same problem still the light would not work. I called Hunter - they offered me to buy a new fan at 35% off. Wooppee - no I want a new light switched. I suspected this little black box that looked like it may be some sort of surge protector for the light. The sticker on the side of it shows model 98480X part number 98480-02. Called Hunter again and they said they no longer make that part and but I can get a new fan for 35% off.

I did some google searching and found my exact problem. Other people also had the flickering and then it stops working. Turns out the problem is that little black box is called a wattage limiter so it doesn't overload the light. So many people had this thing burn out. Hunter fan must have known about it, but yet they told me to purchase the light kit. I called Hunter back countless times trying to get an RMA to send this useless kit back and get a refund. First they said they do not refund parts. Then I had a runaround to supervisors and finally someone sent me a mailing label and RMA. I sent the kit in with a letter and my info. Fast forward 3 months. Still no refund. I contact Hunter and they have no information on the returned part. But they still told me I can get a new fan for 35% off. I will never buy a Hunter fan again. They left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have a 10 year old State Street edition Hunter fan, and the remote control doesn't work any longer. I called Hunter and they told me they don't make that remote any longer, (and no current remotes work with this fan). Their suggestion is to buy a new fan (at 35% off) and install it. The original fan was 400.00 and has a Tiffany globe (they make nothing like it now). At 35% off that is still 260.00 dollars and the cost to have it installed (I am disabled now and cannot do it myself any longer). Plus the fact that my wife loved that fan, (the colors were perfect). Hunter used to be a quality company that you could count on for outstanding service and customer care, I guess that is no longer the case. So the bottom line is that I now have a very pretty, expensive fan that I can no longer turn on or off. (It does not have any chain controls at all.)

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I bought a fan ($500) and it did not fit the room. I found Hunter's return policy online and it said just return the fan within 45 days for a refund. I returned it in 5 days (FedEx - Hunter provided return label). I didn't hear anything for several weeks so I called customer service and despite having a record of the order and order number, they would not acknowledge that a credit was being created, nor would they transfer me to a supervisor. I went back to FedEx and obtained a Proof of Delivery of the returned fan. I assumed if I waited I would eventually receive a credit. But I didn't so I gave it to Mastercard who finally got my $ back through the dispute process. Hunter is a sleazy outfit for sure. BE CAREFUL DEALING WITH THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

We purchased a remote control along with a transmitter. We did not realize that the remote control had the transmitter so we had an extra transmitter at that point. We returned the extra transmitter in September. I have called multiple times to inquire about being credited for the part we returned. The first time I called I was told that we should get our credit between November 27 and December 6. When I called again in January I was told they would have the floor supervisor follow up with their credit department. I was told that they would get back to me “usually” within 24 hours. We never heard from them so I waited until we got another statement from our credit card and still no credit. It’s very aggravating that we can’t get our credit. And, trying to reach someone when you call is almost impossible.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I purchased a Hunter Fan for my bedroom 4 years ago. One year ago, the light limiter went out; they sent me a new one at my cost. One year later, and the limiter has gone out again. The replacement part is on back order until May. Hunter offered to send me a new fan; however, since I did not have my receipt, they wanted a picture of the gold sticker on the bracket. In order to see this, I have to take the whole fan down, so the support person told me I could just take a picture of my fan as proof of purchase. I emailed her back with some questions and never heard back so I called again; the new support person told me I needed the picture of the gold sticker and could see it without taking down the whole fan.

I eventually spoke to a manager - Zachary - who could care less about me having to take down the fan a third time to get a picture of the sticker and a fourth time to replace it when the new one arrived. He offered to pull the original phone call I had where I was told a picture of the fan itself would suffice; he then told me he couldn't pull it and would need to get back to me. When he did get back to me, he sent me an email with his interpretation of the conversation I had with someone else. I am still waiting for him to allow me to listen to the conversation with him. This company has defective merchandise and horrible customer service; they are unwilling to work with you or assist you when their product is faulty. I hope no one has to deal with Zachary or any other associate who is completely disinterested in helping others.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My husband and I just bought our first home and moved in 2 weeks ago. We noticed beautiful ceiling fans in almost every room and that was very appealing to us. All of the fans were hooked up to switches or had chains/knobs to pull except for one. It was a Hunter fan and it basically looked new, but we just could not get it to work. Long story short this Hunter fan required a remote and the previous owner forget to leave it for us and packed it away in a storage unit (not easily accessible). The previous owners were nice enough to buy us a universal remote from Hunter to help us for their mistake, but it wouldn't work. I got the serial number for the remote and looked for it on the Hunter website, Amazon, eBay, etc. with no luck.

So I decided to call Hunter customer service because I figured they would be able to help me, but boy was I wrong. They informed me that they discontinued the model 21894 in 2013 and stopped making any remotes or spare parts for it. They also said that a universal remote from Hunter won't work with it (then why is it called universal? Couldn't tell ya!). So I asked them what I was supposed to do with a perfectly beautiful, new looking fan (with heater!) that just needs a remote to operate. They're response was, "oh well uh you just need to buy a new one and we'll give you 35% off for the inconvenience."

The new model of this fan on Amazon was like $400, so even with 35% off (big woop) I would have to pay over $250 to replace a fan that isn't broken??! And I told them that this is extremely unacceptable and unfair to their customers. I mean, I could understand not making remotes or parts 20+ years after discontinuing a model, but come on- 5 years??? So they're saying if someone bought that expensive fan in 2012 (one year prior to discontinuing) and accidentally broke the remote, they would just be out of luck and have to buy a new one? That's ridiculous and unacceptable. Anything to just make a few extra bucks. What an unethical, inconsiderate company that clearly doesn't care about it's customers. I will never buy from them or recommend them to anyone I know.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I own five Hunter original fans with lifetime warranties. The fans were purchased in 1979 and I still have the sales receipt. One of the fans shorted out recently and I contacted Hunter to ask if their lifetime warranty was really still good after 39 years. My wife said I was crazy but Hunter said no problem. I filled out a report and Hunter sent me a brand new fan. Now that’s a warranty! By the way, I also recently purchased two Hunter 54” Antero fans that went up easily and run smoothly and quietly. I sometimes read bad reviews on Hunter fans but my experiences have been excellent. By the way, I’m retired military with no connection to Hunter whatsoever.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Came home to kitchen full of smoke. Ceiling Fan extremely hot to touch and smoking, horrible smell. Husband was able to take down fan and inside wiring and plastic components completely melted. Lucky we came home before our house burned down. We have 3 more of these same fans mounted and now will have to replace them all for fear of a fire while we are gone or sleeping!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have two Hunter Fans in my home. Both around the 3-4 year old range. The Oakhurst is a ceiling hugger model. Just recently, it stopped working and we could hear a type of clicking sound from the motor. Turned out the motor was sparking. I also saw smoke coming from it. I turned off the electric to it. It appears the windings in the motor shorted out. I am in contact with Hunter for replacement. The motors have a lifetime limited warranty on them. We'll see if they stand behind their product. Lucky it didn't start a fire. We use the fan every night when we go to bed.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I have purchased at least 3 Hunter 52" Oak Hurst Model #52124 flush mount ceiling fans from Home Depot in the past 2 or 3 years. All of them have had the same issues with the motor making noise. I was able to return them to Home Depot without issue but this one is past their warranty period. When I contacted Hunter they asked several questions and after I had told them I had same issue with 3 of their fans already and the motor has bad windings they said that wasn't the problem. They said we have to go through a process before we can replace the bad motor. They said it was the wiring harness and that isn't covered under warranty. It costs $20.00 plus shipping and handling. I am still going to have issue with bad motor and be out $30.00+. I strongly advise anyone looking to buy Hunter ceiling fans "Not To." I am going to toss this fan in the trash and never buy another Hunter product again. Bad customer service and bad warranty process.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Bought the fan at Lowe's. First time I pulled on chain it broke off within the housing. Hunter service said they would send a new wiring harness??? Never got it. Now they want me to prove I never got it? I have an expensive light hanging in my room. They will not respond to me or send me what I need to fix it. Terrible company to do business with.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Installed their ceiling fan. Pulled the chain for fan and it came right out. Broke inside. They said I needed a new internal part and would send to me. They said they would ship new part. Never did and they never responded. It is now just an awkward light fixture.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I had a cracked fan globe on a Hunter fan, so I ordered a replacement globe on Hunter Fans' website. My wife suggested I try gluing the pieces together and it worked so I called Hunter Fan the same day I ordered the part to cancel the order. I was given a cancellation number. The refund was supposed to take 14 business days. I waited 14 days and I did not receive the refund. I then proceeded to call every 14 days and every time I was told there was some sort of problem and it would take another 14 days. They also told me I would have to return the part but they never seem to understand that the part was never shipped! After 4 rounds of this, it was obvious they never intended to refund the money or ship me the part. So I had to put a dispute on my credit card and eventually got my money back. Horrible customer service!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

We purchased a Hunter Heathrow Fan about 3 years ago. The fan motor died in August and they did not honor the lifetime warranty. Now I have suffered without a fan during the hottest part of the summer.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I purchased a Dempsey low profile fan, 44". After mounting it which was a gigantic pain, I realized the 44" is too small. I contacted Hunter after spending hours on their website trying to find replacement 52" blades that I would switch out. Their website is impossible to order parts from. Customer service should be called "Customer NO Service". I was told they wouldn't sell me the 52" blades because the fan I have isn't designed for the larger blades and it would void my warranty. I told them that was fine and I would accept the responsibility. I will bet $.25 that the motor is exactly the same for the 44" and the 52" fans. My only options are to live with the 44", take it down and take it apart for return, or buy a whole new 52" fan. I will NEVER buy another Hunter fan.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

We have three Hunter fans in our Colorado home and four Hunter fans in our Arizona home. We will never purchase another Hunter fan. I have seen all of the other negative reviews about Hunter fans and I will add my opinion of a company that says I have to replace two matching fans that are mounted 20 feet up just because the remote receiver in one is bad. They no longer have the replacement part so they suggest throwing two fans into a landfill and buy two new fans. How stupid.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

We purchased two of these fans and within six months they starting ticking so badly that we found ourselves avoiding running them. This defeats the purpose of having them in the first place. Contacted customer service with no response. Am VERY disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

We purchased two of these fans and within six months the ticking sounds were terrible. So much so that we avoid running the fans at all which defeats the purpose of having them in the first place. Had contacted customer service once before and never heard back. Would replace these with a different brand if I could afford it. Very disappointing.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Bought this product about a year ago, worked fine for that time then quit working, was still under warranty contacted Hunter customer service who troubleshooted the problem stating it was either the remote control receiver or the fan switch. They sent me the remote receiver after determining this was the issue according to their diagnosis so I replaced this still didn’t fix the problem. I re-emailed customer service again stating this didn’t fix the problem, I was going to ask them to send me the fan switch to try that part but the email chain got lost in discussion so I ended up buying the part myself to expedite fixing the problem hopefully because it would take a long time to get a response from email customer service.

Needless to say the fan switch did not fix the problem either, so come to find out the fan motor is blown already after only a year of use of this fan. So Hunter offers me a discount of $30 towards another fan instead of replacing a $150 fan that is only a year old. I don’t think this is acceptable at all. What good is a warranty if they will not honor that warranty.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Bought a top of line Casablanca heritage II ceiling fan with light fixture by Hunter Fans for $800. Hardly used but now it has developed a vibration noise. Called Hunter Fans and found out that there are no technicians for repair or replacement parts. They referred me to a guy 300 miles away from my home to troubleshoot. No help, except to say, "Take it apart yourself and figure it out". Stay away from this company - no support! You'll eventually be stuck with a broken noisy fan that can't be repaired.

Hunter Fans Company Information