1.35/5
Based on 226 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

261 Hunter Fans Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I own five Hunter original fans with lifetime warranties. The fans were purchased in 1979 and I still have the sales receipt. One of the fans shorted out recently and I contacted Hunter to ask if their lifetime warranty was really still good after 39 years. My wife said I was crazy but Hunter said no problem. I filled out a report and Hunter sent me a brand new fan. Now that’s a warranty! By the way, I also recently purchased two Hunter 54” Antero fans that went up easily and run smoothly and quietly. I sometimes read bad reviews on Hunter fans but my experiences have been excellent. By the way, I’m retired military with no connection to Hunter whatsoever.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Came home to kitchen full of smoke. Ceiling Fan extremely hot to touch and smoking, horrible smell. Husband was able to take down fan and inside wiring and plastic components completely melted. Lucky we came home before our house burned down. We have 3 more of these same fans mounted and now will have to replace them all for fear of a fire while we are gone or sleeping!

Get expert buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have two Hunter Fans in my home. Both around the 3-4 year old range. The Oakhurst is a ceiling hugger model. Just recently, it stopped working and we could hear a type of clicking sound from the motor. Turned out the motor was sparking. I also saw smoke coming from it. I turned off the electric to it. It appears the windings in the motor shorted out. I am in contact with Hunter for replacement. The motors have a lifetime limited warranty on them. We'll see if they stand behind their product. Lucky it didn't start a fire. We use the fan every night when we go to bed.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I have purchased at least 3 Hunter 52" Oak Hurst Model #52124 flush mount ceiling fans from Home Depot in the past 2 or 3 years. All of them have had the same issues with the motor making noise. I was able to return them to Home Depot without issue but this one is past their warranty period. When I contacted Hunter they asked several questions and after I had told them I had same issue with 3 of their fans already and the motor has bad windings they said that wasn't the problem. They said we have to go through a process before we can replace the bad motor. They said it was the wiring harness and that isn't covered under warranty. It costs $20.00 plus shipping and handling. I am still going to have issue with bad motor and be out $30.00+. I strongly advise anyone looking to buy Hunter ceiling fans "Not To." I am going to toss this fan in the trash and never buy another Hunter product again. Bad customer service and bad warranty process.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Bought the fan at Lowe's. First time I pulled on chain it broke off within the housing. Hunter service said they would send a new wiring harness??? Never got it. Now they want me to prove I never got it? I have an expensive light hanging in my room. They will not respond to me or send me what I need to fix it. Terrible company to do business with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hunter Fans?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Installed their ceiling fan. Pulled the chain for fan and it came right out. Broke inside. They said I needed a new internal part and would send to me. They said they would ship new part. Never did and they never responded. It is now just an awkward light fixture.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I had a cracked fan globe on a Hunter fan, so I ordered a replacement globe on Hunter Fans' website. My wife suggested I try gluing the pieces together and it worked so I called Hunter Fan the same day I ordered the part to cancel the order. I was given a cancellation number. The refund was supposed to take 14 business days. I waited 14 days and I did not receive the refund. I then proceeded to call every 14 days and every time I was told there was some sort of problem and it would take another 14 days. They also told me I would have to return the part but they never seem to understand that the part was never shipped! After 4 rounds of this, it was obvious they never intended to refund the money or ship me the part. So I had to put a dispute on my credit card and eventually got my money back. Horrible customer service!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

We purchased a Hunter Heathrow Fan about 3 years ago. The fan motor died in August and they did not honor the lifetime warranty. Now I have suffered without a fan during the hottest part of the summer.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I purchased a Dempsey low profile fan, 44". After mounting it which was a gigantic pain, I realized the 44" is too small. I contacted Hunter after spending hours on their website trying to find replacement 52" blades that I would switch out. Their website is impossible to order parts from. Customer service should be called "Customer NO Service". I was told they wouldn't sell me the 52" blades because the fan I have isn't designed for the larger blades and it would void my warranty. I told them that was fine and I would accept the responsibility. I will bet $.25 that the motor is exactly the same for the 44" and the 52" fans. My only options are to live with the 44", take it down and take it apart for return, or buy a whole new 52" fan. I will NEVER buy another Hunter fan.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

We have three Hunter fans in our Colorado home and four Hunter fans in our Arizona home. We will never purchase another Hunter fan. I have seen all of the other negative reviews about Hunter fans and I will add my opinion of a company that says I have to replace two matching fans that are mounted 20 feet up just because the remote receiver in one is bad. They no longer have the replacement part so they suggest throwing two fans into a landfill and buy two new fans. How stupid.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

We purchased two of these fans and within six months they starting ticking so badly that we found ourselves avoiding running them. This defeats the purpose of having them in the first place. Contacted customer service with no response. Am VERY disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

We purchased two of these fans and within six months the ticking sounds were terrible. So much so that we avoid running the fans at all which defeats the purpose of having them in the first place. Had contacted customer service once before and never heard back. Would replace these with a different brand if I could afford it. Very disappointing.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Bought this product about a year ago, worked fine for that time then quit working, was still under warranty contacted Hunter customer service who troubleshooted the problem stating it was either the remote control receiver or the fan switch. They sent me the remote receiver after determining this was the issue according to their diagnosis so I replaced this still didn’t fix the problem. I re-emailed customer service again stating this didn’t fix the problem, I was going to ask them to send me the fan switch to try that part but the email chain got lost in discussion so I ended up buying the part myself to expedite fixing the problem hopefully because it would take a long time to get a response from email customer service.

Needless to say the fan switch did not fix the problem either, so come to find out the fan motor is blown already after only a year of use of this fan. So Hunter offers me a discount of $30 towards another fan instead of replacing a $150 fan that is only a year old. I don’t think this is acceptable at all. What good is a warranty if they will not honor that warranty.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Bought a top of line Casablanca heritage II ceiling fan with light fixture by Hunter Fans for $800. Hardly used but now it has developed a vibration noise. Called Hunter Fans and found out that there are no technicians for repair or replacement parts. They referred me to a guy 300 miles away from my home to troubleshoot. No help, except to say, "Take it apart yourself and figure it out". Stay away from this company - no support! You'll eventually be stuck with a broken noisy fan that can't be repaired.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Blade arm for Hunter fan broke, holes and distance in the part makes it special. Tried to call Hunter company. First in automated call service. Neither I could get an operator or a specialist for help. Finally when I got through I been on hold for 20 minutes and I gave up. I looked online. I thought blade arm may be common for 52" fan. No luck. Now I have no choice but get a whole new fan. Would ever buy a Hunter fan or suggest any one to buy??? Not in my life.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I emailed the company to get the right light kit for my fan, I gave all required information. Their tech emailed back after a few days and told me any light kit would work with my fan. That was false, after receiving product I was told my model fan did not have a compatible light kit. I tried to return. They told me I wouldn’t get the taxes refunded to me, I live in Ohio. I have never heard of this. They told me 14-21 days for a refund. It has been 35 days with no refund. Multiple emails sent with no reply.

Original review: April 25, 2018

2003 I bought a Hunter Fan... great fan that one. Too bad it went bad in 2017. It came with a lifetime warranty though so that should be good right?? Hold on, I made a warranty claim and they did send me a new fan... we hooked it up (it's up some 14-1/2' in a cathedral ceiling) and turned it on. Nothing, not even a moan! Paid an electrician to check it out thinking it must not have been the fan but alas he agreed, the new and old fans were capput.

I contacted Hunter and they said they couldn't find my original warranty claim and said they had to start all over. So, I sent the another copy of the invoice, a copy of the old fan information sticker and a copy of their new warranty fan information sticker... now all my emails fall on deaf ears. No one is home. Can't get Hunter email warranty to even acknowledge they're getting my emails. I was wondering, is Hunter going under? Are they having trouble meeting their own warranty claims??? Has anyone else had similar issues???

Original review: April 7, 2018

In the order process. Went to their website which is well designed and shows models available to order from 3rd party retailers (ie Costco, Home Depot, etc) or from Hunter direct. Upon ordering my product you're given no indication on whether the product is in stock or when it'll be delivered, something common and expected in today e-commerce market; Amazon and Home Depot. Only option is to choose Ground or 2 Day delivery. Following order process (Friday 8p) again given no indication of delivery date.

Next day get a back order showing delivery for 3 fans will be almost 3 months from now and the other 2 almost 4 months from now. Call to cancel the order (next day Saturday at noon) and I'm told I have to wait for the product to be delivered before I can get a refund. Maybe legal but super unethical... Bait and switch almost. Should of gone with gut and Home through Amazon or somewhere else where they're honest about delivery times PRIOR TO A PURCHASE. Too bad too because I've always liked Hunter products but they'll never get a dime from ever again.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Hunter 54" WiFi fan: (Signal Model 59224) The Good: The fan finish is very attractive, the method for mounting the blades is good, only one connection instead of two on many fans. The fan is whisper quiet. The light is bright. This fan can be controlled from Apple and Android devices. It can also be controlled from voice assistants such as Amazon Echo. Adding the skill to Alexa was normal. Customer service was good and addressed my needs.

The Bad: Setting up the WiFi was horrible. First: there are TWO hunter apps, at least on Android. One has a fan image on it and the other has the Hunter logo on it. Of course I picked the wrong one and needed customer support to figure this out. The install of the app on my iPad (in Phone mode) was very difficult. The images and text were all cut off so clicking on buttons was either very unresponsive, or difficult. The pairing of the iPad to the fan was nearly impossible. The Image (light bulb) I was supposed to click to select the fan was almost non existent.

Luckily I was persistent enough in clicking the bulb icon to get past selecting the fan. If I had had more than one fan I would have been screwed. This application seems to be made for iPhones and the rendering in the iPad was way off. I was able to pair the iPad eventually only to find that the controls were very clunky. There is NO need for a set of sliders to select the fan speed, there is plenty of screen real estate to just make the speeds visible all the time and trying to get them to slide out and select properly was annoying. The final insult is finding that the fan direction control was backward so summer setting blows up and winter setting blows down.

For the Android experience, it started out very bad due to the two apps and not knowing which to use. They both say "SimpleConnect" so when searching the wrong one came up first. After install the next step was to scan the QR code (you don't have to do this with Apple). The QR scanner on Android is nearly impossible to use. The QR code is the MAC address of the fan. They should have allowed users to type in the MAC as an alternative since my wife's phone would not scan it at all. My Android phone would scan it but the image was badly out of focus and I had to play around with the distance for a long time before finding a sweet spot where it would take. The Android app is plagued by the same poor user interface as the Apple.

Once the paring with my smart devices was done the Echo app went a bit smoother but that interface was also plagued by confusing user interfaces. Summary: I have had experiences with Hunter products in the past and they do pretty good but seem to manage to miss the mark. Not sure why. This will probably be the last Hunter product I ever buy. Sorry.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I bought and install 3 identical ceiling fans from Hunter Fans Company for my great room in Oct 2012. The fans had stickers on them showing that they had been manufactured Aug 2012. Last week, 5 years after the fans were manufactured, one of the light bulbs burnt out. When I removed the dead bulb, there was a pop and a spark in the light fixture. I went ahead and installed the new bulb, but the fixture would not work. I called the company to order a replacement light kit assembly. They took my order and sent me a hanger bracket assembly, not a light kit assembly.

When I called to tell them about their mistake, they told me that the light kit assembly had been discontinued and advised me to buy a whole new fan. I told them I did not want a new fan because it would not match the other 2 fans in the room. I explained that this fan was only 5 years old and I felt it was very irresponsible of them to discontinue replacement parts for a fan that's only 5 years old. They didn't care. This is a horrible company with horrible customer service. Buyer beware.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I have been attempting to purchase a replacement globe/shade for a Hunter ceiling fan! I purchased the fan on July, 2017. The globe was broken approximately 6 weeks later. When I tried to order a replacement online, the part was listed as unavailable. Subsequently, I have been trying to contact Hunter Customer Service to learn when the part would become available. I have been trying to contact Hunter by telephone for nearly to six (6) months. Their automated answering system has left me on hold, several times, for 45 to 50, minutes without ever responding. Finally, the replacement part was listed as available online. When the part arrived on February, 2018; it was the wrong part! The globe Love was the wrong color and the wrong shape and could not be mounted on the lighting fixture since the hole in the base was 1 1/4" and the original had two small 1/4" holes in the base.

Since receiving this useless replacement, I have been totally unable to contact Hunter to return this worthless item! Their customer service department is a JOKE! To quote another responder..."You never can speak to anyone. Indefinite holds, rerouting to voice mailboxes that are full and then they hang up on you, and answers to emails that don't even pertain to what you are writing to them about." I am going to remove this fan from my home and scrap it! I will never purchase another Hunter product! I sincerely hope that this company goes out of business ASAP!!!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I purchased this Hunter Retractable Fan from Lowe's. It took two months for the fan to arrive. I had it professionally installed and after a month the light stopped working. I had the electrician out again to check the problem and he said I'd have to contact the company. I just spoke with them and rather than just send me a light kit for this VERY expensive fan, they send me an email for me to verify the wiring is correct. Then I've been told by Chris that I'll have to have the electrician verify the problem. In the event it's verified, then they will supposedly send me a light kit. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Purchased an expensive Hunter ceiling fan and paid to have installed. The light went out after a year and there was no way to fix it. Contacted Hunter and they said, "Sorry. We don't make these anymore and there is nothing we can do." Unreal. Terrible customer service and the last time I will deal with this so called company. Do not recommend.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Ordered a fan that took a month to come in, probably not Hunter's fault. The fan arrived with broken bulbs and a faulty blade arm. I have been attempting for two weeks to get them to tell me how to access the blade arm screws, (once assembled, they are hidden) but it seems they can't grasp what I am asking for. 5 times they have given me the exact same answer that I told them DOES NOT WORK. They don't reply to emails and you are on hold endlessly when you call.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I purchased 3 Hunter Ceiling fans with remotes over a week ago. After installation by an electrician, none of the remotes would dim the 4 lights. I called Hunter's customer assistance line. Those words are what we call an oxymoron! First call I was on hold for 57 minutes. Second call 1 hour 10 minutes. Third call 1 hour 5 minutes. I called twice more and used the option to be called back. Four days later nothing. Are they kidding. I finally called. I pressed all 0s to get around their phone service. I was able to get a supervisor. The answer, "we'll send you 3 more remotes". So if you buy one of their products be aware. Quality is extremely poor and if you have a problem just take them down and return them. I do not suggest that anyone buy a Hunter product.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

We moved into our house and shortly afterwards the lights went out on two Hunter ceiling fans that were a few years old. I was told the part was discontinued, so I have lived with a dark room for a few months now, delaying biting the bullet of purchasing two new fans. Then, another Hunter fan did the very same thing! This one is newer, and professionally installed three years ago. I’m emailing back and forth with Hunter about it, and will see how they handle it. In the meantime, I have yet another dark room. Hunter products are terrible and not worth the money spent or the time and hassle. Now I must hire an electrician to replace them... more expenses!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

The worst bunch of scam artists. Lifetime warranty??? What a load of crap. They will make you crazy ten times with their demands for troubleshooting. One hundred percent rip off. Customer support? They hired them from welfare rolls or outsourced them to local prison. NEVER EVER BUY THEIR ** AGAIN. CHEAP CRAP BREAKS DOWN OFTEN, THEIR WARRANTY A PIECE OF GARBAGE.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I have been smelling a sweet smell and didn't know where it was coming from. My God. My neck is tight for no reason and have been sick not knowing why. I'm pretty healthy so it didn't make sense. Finally I googled weird smell from Hunter Fans. I couldn't believe this was happening kind of bittersweet. You're happy to find the issue and know you're not crazy, then the fact I've inhaled this crap for so long. I can't afford to be going to the doctor especially not really know what the hell is wrong. I'm so upset that a company didn't have a recall and make this public. I read on previous remarks that even formaldehyde could have played a part in my forgetfulness. Pray for me please???

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

A few weeks ago I started to smell a "metallic", "Electrical", burning smell. I was able to trace the smell the Hunter Ceiling Fan in my master bedroom. I turned the fan off, but continue to smell the smell. I cut the fan back on and it no longer worked, apparently, the motor had burned out. My neighbor took the light fixture off the fan and we found melted and burned wires. He suggested that I purchase a new light kit. My electrician told me that it was fortunate that I turned the fan off, as it would have eventually resulted in a fire in my home and that I should NOT replace the light kit as the whole fan was affected. (When I spoke to the Hunter representative, she disagreed with the Electrician. Who do you think I'm going to take advice from??)

I read ALL of the reviews that have been posted here, so I was prepared when I contacted the Hunter Company and spoke with (Gloria) who told me she was in the "NO MODEL Department", she was no help, so I asked to be contacted to someone who could. I was then contacted to the another department, (Spoke to Stephanie), she told, as were many others, that I needed to "FIND" my Model#, that I needed to "Find the Gold Sticker", "I Needed to Remove the Fan From the Ceiling to FIND the Model#"... I told the representative that I had done all of the above, not to mention, I had my Owner's Manual/Installation Guide, in my hand, and the Model# was not to be found on any of them.

Now, let's be real, most Appliance Manufacturers list their Model/Serial Numbers on their OWNER'S MANUAL, the fact that Hunter refuses to list their Model #'s on their products, is an indication that they want their consumers NOT TO FIND THEM. I then asked to speak to a Supervisor, (Josie), while on hold, and fortunately, as I Save ALL my document for products, I found the "PARTS GUIDE" for my Fan, THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE THAT THE MODEL NUMBERS ARE FOUND! The supervisor, told me that 'since' I was able to provide 'them' with the elusive Model #, she would connect me to the "Incident Department".

Even with all the information for the fan, the Hunter 'Incident Rep' (Jessie), nickeled and dimed me for photos to PROVE the fan had burned itself out and stopped working. I was told to email her photos of the fan, casing, light kit, and she would determine the "Next Step??" (See Attached Photos). I inquired as to 'how long' this would take, she stated 24 to 48 hours. I will return to update this post and let you all know what transpires in the next two days... today is 2 Nov 2017. A word of advice, there are advocates in your State's Attorney's General office that will take these types of consumer complaints and will contact these companies on your behalf. In Illinois where I live, IT WORKS!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Love their fans but their customer service department is the worst I've ever encountered. You never can speak to anyone. Indefinite holds, rerouting to voice mailboxes that are full and then they hang up on you, and answers to emails that don't even pertain to what you are writing to them about. So purchase your Hunter Fans at a local store and if you have a problem, just take it back to that store because you'll never get to speak to anyone about it at Hunter Fan.

Hunter Fans Company Information