Hunter Fans

Compare Appliances

Research top Appliances recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased replacement fan blades for $25 and a replacement glass piece for $30 on their website based on what they told me would match my ceiling fan. The glass piece fit, but the blades didn't. I called to get the return information. After much back and forth they decided that it was my fault that I got the wrong blades and and they refused to pay for return shipping, which would cost $20. I would not recommend this company to anyone. Their return policy for internet purchases is terrible and their customer service people were unprofessional and rude.

We purchased a Hunter model 59232 from Costco and my husband, a licensed contractor, installed it. It wouldn't work, he couldn't figure out why... so called the support number. He was on hold for just a few seconds. The woman who responded stayed on the phone with him until the problem was solved. Very good experience.

In the course of three phone conversations we went from "no problem, get me the model number and we'll send one right out" to "prove it, none of your business, you don't have to like the terms of our warranty," and my personal favorite: "There is no supervisor higher than I." Absolutely demanded that I reinstall a known faulty and potentially dangerous (literally watched the smoke billow out of the housing) unit so they could do some troubleshooting... this after I was told two days before that I had a bad motor.

Presently waiting for a call back from the CEO... found his number on the internet after Heidi at customer service refused to give me even that. I know what customer service looks like, sounds like, and feels like. Hunter failed to meet any standard of acceptable customer service. If it is their direction to make it difficult and unpleasant to meet the terms of their written promise to their consumers they certainly have done so. NEVER AGAIN.

About 2 years ago I installed four (4) Hunter ceiling fans, each with the Hunter wall switches. Unfortunately the little plastic buttons, which snap on, easily break. On one of the wall stitches, the slider broke off inside the switch itself.

Purchased 4 Hunter Fans, 3 with remote and one with pull chain for fan and light. Had electrician install all fans, before I moved into a new home. One fan installed in the main living area of the house was noisy from day one. The others were not. I've have called customer service and the company has told me that the problem is in synchronizing the remote with the fan and lights... and after several attempts over the phone, customer service would send a new remote control assembly to be installed inside the noisy fan. It is a very high 12 foot ceiling - the electrician who was paid for all installations, hot wired the fan to the ceiling so at least I would have a fan and light til the part is received. Unfortunately it only runs at high speed and is still noisy. I received the new control and am waiting to find someone to install the part and re install the fan so I can use the remote.

As said in other reviews customer service is not helpful and keep assuring me that once the new part is installed all of the problems with the noise will be eliminated. I paid quite a bit of money for the three remote control fans, plus the installation. I will re-post if and when I am able to get the new part installed and fan working quietly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hunter Fans?

I am rating Hunter ZERO STARS. I just finished installing a replacement light kit that was sent to me from Hunter to replace the light kit from a BRAND SPANKING NEW Hunter ceiling fan purchased at the big orange store, Home Depot and guess what, I'm still standing in the dark and once again the fan works. When I first spoke to their representative one of the questions he asked was did I screw the light bulbs in. Yep, you're right in thinking that. No it didn't go over real well with me. And now after reading all the reviews on Hunter I feel like an idiot. And let's not forget the reason I purchased the fan in the first place. Purchased to replace a HUNTER CEILING FAN that was a year and a half old because the starter capacitor went on the fan. NEVER NEVER NEVER AGAIN.

I bought a ceiling fan from Home Depot, had to have it even though it was a bit pricey. The name Hunter meant I was getting the best quality since I was willing to pay a li'l more for the fan. Well after 2 years the fan motor died. I know to some that seems like a long time, however, I have fans that cost a lot less and not by a company that is supposed to stand for quality that are over 16 years old. I called the company and all I was offered was a website where I could purchase a new motor. Why would I buy a new motor from a company that has this kind of business? Please save your money and don't waste your time calling customer service, only to become frustrated. Also, warn all of your friends.

After spending countless hrs on their phone, simply requesting a replacement remote, I was told they HAD TO HAVE the original receipt. Yesterday morn, I sent them my FedEx statement showing I had bought the fan at Lowe's for $393.25. It was a heater fan 52". They said they would send me one the first week we had the fan (bought on 7/22/16) but we never got it so we limped along until I finally called back. The fan was 6 weeks old, so how would they treat a customer with a much older fan? Makes you wonder huh? I'll never buy another HUNTER FAN in my lifetime! If you do, just be aware they have no warranty.

They received one star for answering the phone. I told them the problem with the fan I know the motor is bad and I also know it's suppose to have a lifetime warranty on the motor. I just recently retired after 38 years working as an electrician. I have 2 identical fans with a light kit. In the light kit is a switch, 2 capacitors and a switch to reverse the motor. I swapped those out, still did not work. The only thing left was the motor and yes there was power to it, checked that first. Now trying to explain this to someone that has a check list they go against is impossible. These people have no experience whatsoever troubleshooting other than what they read from their pamphlet. You can't skip any steps because then they're just lost. I personally will never buy another Hunter fan lifetime warranty that's a bunch a bull, if you can get thru the supervisor was the least trained of any one I spoke to. But they do not want to have you return the fan that's for sure.

Bought Model 53176, paid an electrician to install it. Five days later there was a loud pop and the light stopped working. After 3 calls and 2 emails to Hunter they sent a new wire harness. I did tell them I didn't know if I could change this wiring myself. I was told by customer service it was not Hunter's responsibility to get it wired. I called the electrician to put in the new wire harness for me, the plugs did not match so he had to cut the plugs off and wire it together. This has been very costly and very trying, but I have learned through it all not to do business with Hunter again.

Do you know how many Hunter Fans have been sold with a Bowl Light Kit/Center Chain Pull Design for both fan speed and light? For example, fan models 51065, 52109, 52110, 20479. Millions. Well the distributor for the Switch Housing Assembly (part number K0375-01 on new fan models; basically the brains and controls of the entire fan) has discontinued this part. Without this part you have no lights and no way to control the fan.

You would think that a 100+ year fan company dedicated to quality and customer service would not let this happen or they would have another distributor on the line to fill the void or they would find another creative solution for such an important part other than the way the Company has chosen to handle this problem. Yes a creative work around or a better solution than current is what I expect from a Fortune company like Hunter. Well that is not the case and to boot, their customer service representatives are poorly trained on this matter; if you try calling you will experience long wait times and may have to complete numerous telephone calls to customer service simply to obtain an entire understanding of the matter: NOTHING CAN BE DONE if your fan has a bad Switch Housing Assembly. I fortunately had two.

Not only are the customer service reps poorly trained but they give disingenuous remarks and worthless solutions to the problem. For example, "perhaps you can go online and find old new inventory in the box from the many online fan part suppliers." Or, "try contacting Amazon.com, the largest online merchandise vendor in the world; they should be able to help out." There is no more stock out there and there is no work around for the millions of fans affected. Way to go Hunter!

For future purchases, I will stick with a competitor fan company. The price is always cheaper with them and I stand a better chance of good service from a younger company. So what did I do with two fans rendered useless? I purchase at market rates two new fans (with already obsolete Switch Housing Assemblies), took the parts out that I needed and stored the boxes in my garage with the remainder of fan parts. Someday, we will use two brand new fans without light kits. Hopefully at least one fan speed will work when we connect the fans to power. Good luck to me the consumer. Hope everything works out!

Purchased Model # 59244, 44" low profile with remote. Description stated that it was reversible. For me that means walking to the shed, getting a step ladder, unscrewing the glass globe and flipping the switch, then reversing the first four steps. "Very convenient". I mean with remote control, how hard would it be to add this feature. I can buy a $39 fan with remote reverse. Even on the $19 fan it replaced the direction switch was on the OUTSIDE of the housing. Hunter used to make quality products, but no more, last one for me.

I purchased the Hunter Highbury fan model 52005 on Oct 24, 2015. Initially (winter) only the light was used. In May 2016 we started to use the fan. It ran nicely for several weeks during nights. Then one night while using the light (but not the fan) the light went out spontaneously. Disconnected power and waited a while. Light came on as commanded by remote, but it stayed on only for 6 minutes. Tried again, but the same thing happened. Soon after that the fan stopped running after running for about 2 hours. Now (since June 2016) neither the light or the fan works at all. The remote appears to be fine as the light on it lights. Hunter wants me to test the limiter on the fan before honoring any warranty. This involves disconnecting some of the wiring in the canopy. For that I get a professional.

This company has become crap. I too have heard that Hampton Bay is basically the same company, and also that Casablanca is part of the same conglomerate. I think the problem is that the digital and transistor circuits in these newer fans cannot take even moderate heat and cannot tolerate power surges that are common in house wiring due to weather and other power outages. Such circuits have no place in an appliance that should last decades. Instead they think it is ok if a circuit fails in a year. This is nonsense. This company is guilty of bad design, bad oversight, and bad management. If you buy from Hunter/Hampton Bay/Home Depot/Lowe's, this is what you are buying. My fan never even worked for a month of operation. Fortunately HD has agreed to give me a store credit for the fan when I take it down. But their store is still full of Hunter Fans. Same with Lowe's.

After purchasing a Hunter fan that was defective, I have been trying for over a year to get any kind of customer support to NO AVAIL. After over a year of phone calls and e-mails, I simply give up! Tonight I took down that Hunter fan and threw it in their garbage. I purchased another brand and it works perfectly! MUCH easier to install as well. I have absolutely NO use for this company or their product. BUYER BEWARE. You are buying JUNK!

Purchased several Hunter Fans and when the one fan's remote failed, contacted Customer Service to purchase another remote and since it is generic, it does not work. And, to make it worse, you have to completely de-install the fan to sync the fan with the remote. Too much work. And, they charge you a re-stocking fee for the remote that does not work. Do not purchase a Hunter Fan.

Several years ago I had invested the money and installed four Hunter fans in my home in hopes that I would save some money in the longer term by not always having the air conditioner on. I thought I was buying quality fans. The sleek design of model number 21591 I put in three of the rooms. One of the fans stopped working. I paid to have an electrician come in again to see if he could fix and as it turns out he could not. I thought it might have been the remote, so of course I purchased batteries. Naturally that was not the issue.

I finally called customer service and they told me that it was the receiver that needed to be replaced. Rather than just sending me out the part for free (since I said I bought 4 of their fans!) they wanted to charge me $50 for the part. The only break they suggested was that if I ordered it online I would save on shipping. REALLY? Oh yeah, and they don't provide any service whatsoever. You are on your own and yet again, I need to have an electrician come in. How about providing remuneration on selling me a faulty fan? I am beyond frustrated and I just hope this review will help someone else.

Purchased 52" remote controlled ceiling fan, professionally installed 18 months ago. Fan would not work, removed new fan and took back to Home Depot. Exchanged for another Hunter Bay. Installed new fan, worked 18 months then DEAD IN THE WATER for this one today!!! Will never buy another Hunter Bay. Ceiling fan is 17' feet high in dining room and personal safety is again an issue working that high off a 18' ladder!!! If there's a class action lawsuit out there, count me in!!! Hunter Bay is junk!!!

I have a model 5971 Hunter fan. At various times lights start blinking. Hunter sent replacement receiver. Problem still occurred. Saw on Web problem was voltage limiter--solution; bypass limiter device. However on this model limiter is part of receiver. Hunter said, in essence, tough! Must be some signal coming from outside. There is nothing within at least 600 ft of house. No transmitting device in house. The only way to stop blinking is to go to breaker panel and reset. Bulbs are LED bulbs that came with fan. We tried sync transmitter, eliminating dimming function. It's nuts awaking at 3 AM or at other times with lights flashing. Hunter is no help!

Ideas?

Purchased this from Costco. After 2+hours of installation the light on this fan would not light up a closet. I changed out the bulbs for 100 W led and they still could not make it thru the light cover. I called customer service who could only suggest I purchase another fan or light kit. Being disgusted with their response, I used paint remover on the inside of the globe to remove what looked like white wall house paint. I think problem is solved. No thanks to Hunter Fans that used to be top of the line, not anymore.

If you read through this you will see scores of people with the same problem. The lights on their Hunter fan goes out while the fan continues to work. The problem is a component in the light wiring harness called a limiter. Since March 24th until today, may 12th, I have emailed and spoken with Hunter customer service and I have concluded it is a complete waste of time. Hunter says they will send out 2 wiring harnesses for the 2 Hunter fans I have, both with no working lights. When I call and say I didn't receive we go through the same routine again because they don't read their own emails to me. I just got a confirming email and it shows they will send -- in 5-7 days -- 1 piece of the wrong part!!!

I explained the problem to an electrician and asked if he understood what I was saying. He said, "Yes, I do. I had the same problem with a Hunter fan." I asked what he did and he said, "They sent me a new one because they didn't have the part." In the future I will go out of my way to buy anything but Hunter. I figure I can get anyone to treat me like crap, I don't need Hunter to do it.

We bought about 10 of these fans and installed them in our house, but they never spun very fast. It took a while to realize that the "receiver" was defective. By that time we were out of warranty. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, should federal or state authorities investigate this company for consistently selling defective products? Is there a lawyer with knowledge of this, who would know what department to approach? Hunter Fan technical support wanted a discounted price of $60.10 (normal $110) for the receiver. Judging by the quality of the fan, the whole fan (made in China) costs less than that.

Consumer Increased Rating!

The replacement parts were reasonably priced and the shipping was free.

Old Merchant of Brownsburg, IN on

Original Review

Don't be fooled by the "Lifetime Warranty" described on the box. It is not a lifetime warranty. It is a limited lifetime warranty on the motor (only). If the defect is due to a failed motor "part" the warranty is for one year with proof of purchase. Guess what - the motor is constructed of motor "parts."

Model 53000 Box and instructions do not say for flat ceiling only. I have a vaulted ceiling. Called company, as I bought this knowing the last 2 fans I have put up worked ok from other companies. Now told need to buy more parts. Then co. hung up on me when waiting for sales. I thought Hunter would maybe be a good choice but very dissatisfied with fan and service. Hint if fan needs more parts to work on vaulted ceiling, say so on box and instructions. A good company should do better. I give you a very poor rating sirs.

Consumer Increased Rating!

After an additional follow-up with Hunter Fan, they sent a replacement fan for the fan that caught fire. They fan that caught fire was sent back to them through one of their approved warranty centers.

Brandi of Santa Fe, TX on

Original Review

I purchased two Curacao 54 inch fan (model number is 21317) from Home Depot 2 1/2 years ago. One was installed on my front porch, the other on my back porch by an electrician. Both are rarely used and still have the original factory bulbs installed. On the evening of March 2, 2016 the fan on the back porch caught fire. We were fortunate that it did not spread to the rest of the house. Initially from visual inspection it appeared that the bulbs got very hot, the globe busted, and the fan blade was burned. Upon further inspection the bulb sockets are warped, and the fan speed selection controls, and reverse speed is damaged and no longer functional. It appears that the motor of the fan got too hot or the light kit assembly.

I contacted Hunter Fan Company on March 3, 2016 explaining what had happened and was issued an incident number. They requested pictures which were promptly submitted. I never received any type of follow-up. I called multiple times trying to determine the status. I was told it is under review and I would be notified when they were finished analyzing the incident. On March 21st, I called multiple times being placed on hold for approximately an hour - only to be disconnected with no return call. These fans were expensive. I want it replaced. However, because of the incident and their customer relations I am not confident about the other one that was purchased and is installed on the front porch.

Bought a pair of Hunter Light/Fans for guest bedrooms. Two months later one light fixture is very dim, works at maybe 20% capacity. We maybe turned that light a couple dozen times, as the room is not used. They were bought from Home Depot and hung by licensed electrician. Hunter says tough, buy another receiver/limiter. Just over 1 year old and never used. Just waiting for the other one to stop. $50.00 plus shipping. Might as well buy another fan. Model # 53032. Cust Service was not helpful, didn't care, want to buy the part? Yes or no? Hunter you do a very poor business.

They wanted bad parts returned but sent a form letter with the wrong zip. The part is lost in the mail system because of their form letter and they say it's my fault for sending it to the wrong place. I should have corrected the zip off their form letter.

Their warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. Don't believe the 120 day home service repair. It's nonsense. We have a couple of non-working Casablanca Hunter fans that haven't worked right since they were installed. The company doesn't respond to emails and the customer service team is a joke. They will just give you the runaround. Do yourself a favor and don't end up like me with defective non-working MADE IN CHINA fans that we paid a lot of money and paid even more for installation. Nearly $1000 down the drain. Spoke to a lawyer today and he is considering a class action lawsuit.

From doing research, I knew the switch was broken and I needed to fix it or replace it. I called Hunter, gave them the model number and was told they no longer stock parts for that model. Furthermore the switch was located within the motor and could not be fixed period, that no universal switch would work, and my only option was to buy a new fan. They gave me their "friends and family discount" and said I would need to order from their site. I did more research after seeing Hunter fans were very poor quality compared to mine purchased 20 years ago. Turns out fixing the fan was a 10 minute job after locating the right universal switch from a local fan store. I will never buy another Hunter product.

Seems Hunter's engineers have miscalculated the maximum, possible reset current draw through their current limiter. When one 60W bulb blows out on a three light kit, it can for that instance, cause a current draw through their limiter that easily exceeds its reset specifications, thereby causing it to open... The end results is no lights. While a better quality, likely higher priced current limiter, one with a momentary, higher current rating would solve this known, long standing defect, while still maintaining government required maximum, continual current draw from the light... Seems "status quo" (as in the number of lost customers has not exceeded our costs to redesign) still reigns at Hunter.

I've owned Hunter Fan models 21068 and 25744 with remote control models 27185 and 27157 for well over a decade. The past three-four years, the remote controls for lighting fixtures steadily deteriorated by uncommanded dimming, uncommanded activations, not responding to the remote commands, and disabling the pull chain controls (requiring pulling circuit breakers to shut off power to the appliance). Over the years, I've contacted Hunter a couple of times with nil success in resolving the problem. Spent several dollars on a Hunter replacement remote control only to discover the newer remote technology wouldn't work with my models. It's disappointing to read so many negative reviews. So I'm going to remove the malfunctioning remote control hardware and try to go back to the manual chain pull mode. The motors and light systems hardware still seems OK. I'm skeptical I can find any better replacement appliances these days.

Hunter Fans Company Profile