1.53/5

169 Generac Power Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I read several reviews on this site for Generac and most are not positive. This is not my experience. I bought a Generac 22KW generator and had it professionally installed by Cape Fear Generators. I also have a service contract with them. I have only had one issue and that was with the switchgear. It went out on the first time the generator was used. Cape Fear came out that night and repaired it. # years later, it has worked flawlessly through two hurricanes. Mathew and Florence. Mathew it ran for 13 hours and powered my house perfectly. Florence, it ran for almost 4 days with the same result. I have no complaint with Generac other than the constant emails and mailers for an extended warranty. I get one or two a month. And I have no complaint with Cape Fear Generators (The Authorized Installer). It's my experienced that both are top notch companies.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Purchased a Generac 2800 psi pressure washer in 6/14 which I use to wash the vinyl siding on my house, it's run approx. 30 to 45 min. each year since I bought it which has given it about 3 hours max. run time, this year about halfway through the job the on/off switch fell off, was able to stop it by pulling off the spark plug wire. Unit has always been maintained per owners manual instructions and stored indoors. Very dissatisfied.

Get expert buying tips about Generators delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I had my generator installed in 2013. It's a 14 KW whole house 200 Amp Auto Transfer. In 2015 I was having a window installed near my generator and the installer made me aware of the starting problem. I called the company back that installed and sold me the unit and they spent about 2 1/2 hours troubleshooting the problem. Their answer was we can't find anything wrong, sometimes they just come off the assembly line that way. I called Generac and they said that's wrong, they do not come off the line that way, call another technician. So I called another and long story short, same answer. Sometimes they just come that way. I called Generac again and they want me to keep trying different technicians at $100.+ per visit. If need be I can start it with a shot of ether. But I can't keep calling different technicians.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Have Generac GP3300 that is brand new. Has less the 3hr on it, drain the gas when I was done with it and 6 months later I needed it for hurricane Florence, so get it out and filled it with gas and tried to start it but it wouldn't start. So called Generac customer service to talk to someone in tech support and they told me all they could do is find a service center for me. So now the family and I are going into a hurricane with a $700 new generator that doesn't work!!! This is by far the worst company I have ever dealt with. I strongly recommend you don't by a Generac.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I installed a state of the art Generac 20KW Synergy from Home Depot with 200 amp trans switch plus all the whistles and bells. Three weeks after install Harvey came with high winds and incessant record rainfall. Our brand new hot rod Generac made the storm just fine, glad to say. We shut it down every 24 hours to check oil and resume use. I filled the engine initially with best quality synthetic oil. I changed oil, used the same proper spec weight best synthetic oil made with Generac replacement filters, at 97 hours. At 107 hours (4 1/2 months old) during an exercise run it started rattling and blowing oil from the exhaust. It had a blown engine. Really? Generac would not warrant it because we didn't change the oil after the "break in" period of 25 hours.

I told the truth, we did not change the oil, c'mon, during a full blown record breaking hurricane just jump out there and change the oil... I used the same, best quality, synthetic oil during the change before initial, first time startup. After 2 weeks of "I don't care about your generator" from Generac I finally found someone to help. Took countless calls and time on the phone. I paid $800.00 out of pocket on a 1/2 and 1/2 pay deal. If this Generac goes down I will not repair it I am replacing it with Kohler because Kohler stands behind their product no questions asked. Kohler engines need no valve adjustments. Valves are hydraulic and engines don't need babysitting. Kohler gens needs no brush replacement either.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generac Power Systems?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Spent over $8000 on Generac home generator that is supposed to fuel the whole house when the electric went off. Had 3 issues with it on 3 separate occasions. Twice it came on like it was suppose to and shut off a while later. Did not get ANY satisfaction from Lowe’s that sold it to us. They sent us an unauthorized Generac repairman that was replacing bad parts with automotive parts (that was confirmed by an authorized dealer that WE had to pay out of pocket). Lowe’s would not take it nor fix it with a proper authorized Generac repairman and the Generac dealer said I would have to deal with Lowe’s. Had bad part that caused it to shut off and on another day, it was leaking gas that could have caught my house on fire. Would NOT recommend.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I spent 7,000 on my Generac 11kw 2 years ago. The unit is now leaking oil and is going to cost me 95 dollars an hour to get fixed, in Generac ads they talk about the quality of construction, well built quality products do not leak oil. At least not in such a short period of time, this unit with the exception of weekly exercises has only operated for 4 hours total time. I would not recommend this product.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I've used this once after buying Brand New, it's spent more time in the shop or me replacing batteries. Tried my 30 day start and guess what? Not starting!!! This is the most unreliable piece of equipment I own. I would no way recommend this unit for a boat anchor MAYBE!!!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

A less than $200 part Generac alternator (part# 0A1232) for Home Standby-45kw model #04373 leaves me dead in the water. This alternator is specific to Generac and many of their large generators from 4.3L and up, but they just stopped making it and now a perfectly maintained and running generator has becomes a worthless giant paperweight because it doesn't use a common automotive type alternator that is readily available or even rebuildable.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I made appointments through Generac for local contractors to come to my home to discuss their automatic home generator. I reconfirmed those appointments this morning and was assured those two companies would be arriving at my home for those appointments regarding the generator. When the first contractor JP Electric and Sons do not do business with/for Generac, that Generac had not contacted them about any appointment with me and that they received "many calls from other homeowners" telling them that Generac had made non-existent appointments with them too.

I then called the second business (Colonial Electric ) who Generac had also assured me would arrive at my home for an appointment tomorrow. Colonial also said they also had no record of Generac calling to make an appointment with their company for me and that they too receive at "least 3-4 consumer calls" a week asking for confirmation of non-existent Generac appointments. Colonial doesn’t even conduct business in Boston. Clearly this is a pattern of fraudulent business practices by Generac. I wonder how many other contractors Generac tells consumers will arrive to discuss their product?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I began my purchase of the whole house Generac Generator 22kW almost a year ago. I was so delighted. I thought it had to be a great product and through Home Depot, awesome. The spill was the 24 months no interests and 10 year warranty. Plus, my neighbors had old generators and were happy with them. Well, the first thing that happened was a Home Depot delivery truck had a wreck and knocked out everyone’s power.

My generator just got serviced that same day. So the power was a bit coming on and when it did, the transfer switch didn’t transfer the power. So my Generator is going full blast. I see white smoke and the power company personnel know that this is dangerous. So then, I have to argue with Cantor Power about my warranty. Meanwhile, since there is no power, the battery can’t recharge. So I don’t have a bill for the $400.00 transfer switch, instead, they want to charge me $610.00 for the electrician, new battery and the electrician’s travel. Seriously. I am turning them into the BBB.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I purchased a 11kw Generac generator last year. After 10 months and 23 hrs on the unit it blew a factory oil hose stopping the unit for low oil pressure. I called a representative of Generac and explained what happened expecting to be reimbursed for repair under warranty and was told that it was not covered because it was considered a maintenance issue. How is a factory clamp failure a maintenance issue? My unit was serviced 3 weeks prior to this malfunction. Think before you buy as some companies don’t back their products as they should.

Original review: July 25, 2018

We are building a new house on raw land. We needed a generator to power the lot until the main power company could come set the power. We used it for 2 weeks and it started to give us problems. It took them 2.5 weeks to send a tech out, only to tell us it had a blown motor. They wouldn't stand behind the warranty due to the fact is wasn't set up to a main power line. So what do people do when they lose power? Not even the company we bought it from would stand behind it. We spent 4,000$ on a piece of junk. Wish we had done our research prior to buying this type generator. To boot the tech informed us that no one wants to service these because Generac doesn't pay them while it's under warranty. Good luck with trying to find someone to come service it while under warranty. Now it will cost us 2,500$ for a new motor. Yeah no thanks! I will find a better product with better service and warranty behind it.

Original review: July 22, 2018

Careful buying from these guys. Sneaky business practices that are very misleading. What is sneaky? They advertised a 10 year warranty if you buy during a certain period of time. Guess what... It only has application to certain models found in very, very small print. They should be sued for misleading and false advertising. Too bad we have to retain legal counsel before we buy a product from Generac. Generac shame on you.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I had a 16k Generac generator for 12 years, ran thru Harvey Like a champ. Got talked into upgrading to a 22k. Installed on May the 15. On July 12th power went out. Generator ran 47 minutes and died, overspeed code, Tech. came out that night and found stator bad, 2.5 total runtime. Had to order a new one. Unit should be replaced not repaired. Smart ** then tells me, "Good news it's under warranty". 14 hours without power since it blew up. 6500 total spent for Nothing. Generator Supercenter Houston got their money, they don't care, just tells me it's ordered.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I have a 17kw whole house generator with a defective rotor. The rotor was wound with loose windings which allowed them to protrude past the laminations due to centrifugal force and contact the stator, this caused a catastrophic failure of the rotor and wedged copper wire in the stator. I should also add that this unit is out of warranty and I wasn't asking for a free repair. Just a discount on the repair parts. I called Generac and was told since there were no previous issues reported they could not give me a discount on the defective parts. The generator is 6 years old and runs 15 min a week which is 13 hours per year which equates to 78 hours of exercise time and another 33 hours of run time under load 111 hours. I will also be posting a Youtube video showing this poor workmanship and subsequent poor service.

Original review: June 22, 2018

During Hurricane Harvey, we had 3 ft or so of water in the house and more outside. Our whole house generator flooded. We purchased a new Generac since the old one had worked so good. The purchase and installation was completed in September 2017. This purchase was expensive (flood insurance does not cover anything outside) but gave us “peace of mind”. Here we are, 9 months later and the generator still does not operate. My husband and I took off many work days to get this fixed.

Many parts had to be ordered, some, such as a new regulator with the gas meter had to be paid by us, and the generator is still not working. A month ago we were told by the service center that we need a new ignition coil which is, “surprise!”, on back order. We have spent many days trying to resolve this with Generac and with our installer. When something does not work, especially after spending $8K, they should replace it with a new one. Generac needs to stand behind their product and in their own advertising words: “do more” and “have peace of mind”. I guess our next step will need to be legal.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Was looking for a American made reputable company to purchase outdoor power equipment from and chose Generac. What a mistake, purchased a new pressure washer and 2 inch water pump only to have the water pump fail in less than 60 days. This was not the bad part anything can break, no big deal until you learn that the company that made it will not stand behind it and you are on your own. Called Generac and was told I would have to pay 87.00 for a new pump housing that cracked. This ST20 pump had a one year warranty or so I thought. Generac will not send you a warranty part you will have to load it up and haul it to a service center for repairs.

I emailed Generac customer service to give them a fair chance to credit me for the warranty part and right this wrong. Instead of giving me my money back for the part under warranty they have stonewalled and doubled down on terrible customer service and ignore the problem. Will never do business with Generac again. Both of my new Generac items a new pressure washer and water pump 900.00 dollars are going to the trash dump. Lesson learned the hard way.

Updated on 08/02/2018: Generac gave a really good response saying this is not the way we do business when my 400 dollar ST20 2 inch water pump failed under warranty and they refused to send a replacement part for it at no charge. Well you will never get them to send you a warranty part without payment. You will still have to load it up and haul it to one of their service centers to have the service center get the part and install it even if it only takes 5 min to install a pump housing. Now I'm reading the service centers don't want to do work for Generac because they don't get paid. Instead of refunding my money for the warranty part Generac has doubled down on their policy of not letting the owner fix the item labor free.

They have stonewalled wussy footed and beat around the bush until I give up. THIS IS the way they do business and they will not send you any warranty part for you the owner to install yourself even if you send them the bad part back first. I refuse to spend 100 bucks hauling their junk around to get it fixed. If I had known this is how they handle warranty parts I would have never bought anything from Generac. Harbor Freight has a much better parts warranty than this and their pump was 240 bucks cheaper.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I bought my automatic Generac Generator for my home in 2014, and bought an "extended" warranty for $966.60 on 6/12/18. I was just told by my Generac repairman that this "new" warranty begins in "2014", when I bought the generator, and not on 6/12/18, when I bought the extended warranty! I am so angry right now! I pulled out the promotional paperwork that I received in the mail, all the lettering is in large, readable print, except for the part that says "it begins the year you bought the generator", that's in very tiny, just barely readable lettering, even with my glasses on. If you're thinking about buying an automatic generator don't buy one from Generac. They're a very sneaky, deceitful company. Give your money to a company you can trust. I wish I had done my homework in the very beginning, and read all the complaints about them. Live and learn...

Original review: May 31, 2018

Generac power washer - I received my power washer in about 10 days from ordering online. When I got around to assembly I discover a few parts were missing. Combed through box to ensure that I had not discarded the parts. Called Generac customer service on the 14th of May. I felt at the time I was well taken care of. They registered my product for that date and said I would get the parts within 10 days. It is now the 30th, called and there was no evidence of previous call. They said they would research further and call me back. Now the 31st, no call. I called them and they said they found the order but it didn't ship because of missing order number. The person was in a meeting. 15 minutes at the most. It has been 4 hours. No call.

Original review: May 28, 2018

After only 78.5 hours runtime on my 6 year old 20 KW Guardian generator the head popped off the #2 exhaust valve and went thru the piston into the crankcase. Despite the low hours and all the 'never seen that before' comments Generac refused to help even a little on the $2232 engine replacement! Does not promote good will Generac!

Resolution response: May 31, 2018

This incident has been resolved.

Speaking to a representative at Generac, I am baffled as to why this happened in the first place, the representative was also baffled and confused as I shared documents from Generac's website indicating they are waiving promotional fees.

Overall, the issue has been resolved and I am satisfied with the outcome.

However, I do not think this would have happened without first filing the complaint on Consumer Review.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I saw a deal on Generac's website that was too good to be true. If I purchase a Generac SPEEDWASH™ System 3200 PSI Pressure Washer Model 7122, then they; (Generac) will give me 3 Cleaning Tools. Plus free shipping. This purchased was made on April 30th, 2018 and on May 4th, 2018 I was charged an additional $50.00 a promotion fee. This information was never made available to me when I made the purchase but according to Generac's customer service rep, the information was there.

They refused to waive the charge and informed me that the $50.00 was a promotion charge, for the promotion. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. How do you charge a customer for a promotion for which you are offering? I decided to return the machine but changed my mind knowing they will not refund me, not that anything is wrong with the machine but seeing what they have done, they are the kind of company that will do everything they can to take your money, including making false claims and misleading promotion.

This may all seem as a coincidence but they charged the promotion fee after they received confirmation that the machine has been delivered. By doing it this way, the customer may have already opened the box and assembled the machine or; the customer is now responsible for return shipping charges. I will never buy another Generac product or recommend their sales and promotion to anyone. Well organized promotional scam. Stay away from this company and their products unless you have money to waste. By the way, it's all made in PRC.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I have learned (and agree) that the standby generator in itself is a good unit. We have a 14 KW guardian series. It does seem to be a ‘racket’ in the way Generac wants to send out their Servicemen for basic routine maintenance. Only the rectangle air filters has to be ordered, doesn’t seem to be available elsewhere. GENERAC wants us to always be buying maintenance products from them only. We have found for our GENERATOR you can use FRAM TG4386 ‘oil filter’ and not having to buy GENERAC brand. If ever we will need our generator running ‘long term’, having plenty of oil, air & oil filters, spark plugs, couple fuses on hand is essential. Stock up on their air filters — everything else buy local.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I can’t believe they sold me a lemon!!! I purchased a Generac standby generator from Jones 2 1/2 yrs ago. It stopped working with only 38 hrs of usage, barely use! They came and did a diagnostic. It was a bad rotor, they said that the parts was cover by Generac but I have to pay the labor, total cost was $2,700. Almost the price of the generator!!! I should of done my research on Generac before buying!!! Go to Consumer Reports, people complain about the same issue with the rotor. Shame on Jones for purchasing from Generac and selling to its customers. Don’t think about purchasing a Generac whole house generator unless they offer you a 5 warranty! What a rip off!!! Generac should be sued and Jones also for not standing up for its customers and providing defective products for its customers.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Run from this company!!! I purchased this deal through the Mobile grid and it's the worse thing I've ever done. Mr. Sparky was suppose to be the installer but they don't do the gas hook up. I paid for a full install and didn't get it!! I had to pay out of my pocket for the gas install. I wish I never bought this. Would not recommend Generac, the Mobile grid or Mr. Sparky.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I paid “South Shore Generator Service” to perform a “Major PM Service” on my Generac 20kW home standby generator. The technician that did the work. Told me the generator looked good, didn’t need any additional work and only had 53 hrs of run time on the unit. The technician also told me that he left me a quart container of extra oil inside the generator’s bottom in-closer if I ever needed it.

The following morning, I went out to the generator to remove the quart oil container the technician had left me. I didn’t want the oil container bouncing around inside the generator in-closer if I were to lose power and the generator were to start running. When I opened the generator’s in closer top cover to remove the oil container, I noticed around a half quart of oil all over the generator’s bottom interior base. I looked at the quart oil container the technician had left me and noticed it was about half empty. I assumed that oil must have leaked out of the quart oil container or that the technician had spilled oil when he removed the old engine oil filter while installing the new engine oil filter. I did not call South Shore Generator Service back right away, Instead I removed the partially filled quart oil container and cleaned up the oil mess than closed up and locked the generators in-closer.

A few months later my home lost power, this was the first time my home experienced a power lose since I had the generator serviced by South Shore Generator Service. The following afternoon, I went out to check the oil level on my generator, because the generator had been running due to the power outage. When I opened the generators in-closer top cover I noticed about a half quart of oil all over the generator’s bottom interior base plate and oil sprayed all over the engine. I couldn’t locate where the oil leak was coming from.

I cleaned up the oil mess, checked the engine oil level to find that it was down a half quart and went inside and called South Shore Generator Service to tell them about the oil leak. I speak to the service department lead person, and explained the oil leak problem to him and he said that model generator had a sensor that if it were to run out of oil, it would shut down and not cause any major engine damage. He also told me that he would send out a new technician to look into the cause of the oil leak problem.

The technician arrived in two days, to see if he could locate the cause of the oil leak. After about 45 minutes he knocked on my door and told me that he thought the oil leak was a damaged front crank shaft seal, causing the oil leak and that he would report his findings to his boss and that his boss would give me a call back in a couple days. I never received a call back, so after a week I called the company back. I spoke with a woman who answered the company phone and I ask to speak with the service department supervisor, she told me he was busy and would call me back in a few hours. I never received a call back.

A week later I received an email from South Shore Generator Service with a PDF repair quote attached. The quote was to remove and replace the front crankshaft seal with an estimated total of $1,224.71. The quote was for a $9.00 part, $190.00 travel time and the remaining cost was all labor. This was the last time that I communication with South Shore Generator Service.

Next I called the generators manufacture “Generac” and spoke with a girl from Generac customer support. I explained to her everything that had happened with South Shore Generator Service. She told me that she would try to call South Shore Generator Service and would call me be back within an hour or two. In about one and half hours she called me back. She told me see recorded my complaint and had spoken to the South Shore Generator, but she did not mention to me the outcome of the phone conversion. She went on to say that South Shore Generator Service was only listed to sell Generac products and was NOT certified to repair their products. She then want on to say that I would need to pay a certified Generac service company to look at my generator problem to see if they could find fault with South Shore Generators workmanship and she gave me two service companies listed with Generac.

I contacted one of the company’s off her list and they are schedule to come out and look at my generator’s oil leak problem. It will be interesting to see how well Generac backs their products, as my generator is still under Generac’s 5-year warranty. Meanwhile to my dismay I received a bill in the mail from South Shore Generator Service for the amount of $238.39 for the cost of the second technician they sent out to try and find out where and what caused the generator oil leak. It was my understanding with the company that they were sending out the second technician as courtesy check to see if the first technician caused the oil leak problem.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I purchased my Generac 8kw generator at Lowe's and it was installed on March 26, 2013. It was installed and regularly serviced by a Generac authorized electrician. It ran during a 3.5 day power outage with no problem in early March 2018 (just shy of 5 years old). The following week it did not start when the power went out again. I had it diagnosed twice by my electrician, one time he did the troubleshooting over the phone with Generac technical support. The verdict: over crank error. Engine is dead. It either must be replaced or I need a whole new unit. It had only run 4 other times during short outages. I have repeatedly asked my electrician and the customer support team at Generac for a specific reason the engine died. No one has given me an answer. Generac said that the reason is because the generator was not shut down every 24 hours during operation for the oil to be checked.

I was referred to page 29 of the user manual. However, the oil level was fine with all others parts in check and there was no lack of care. At no point during my purchase negotiation, installation, scheduled maintenance visits or inquiries to Generac did anyone state that the unit has to be shut down every 24 hours during extended operation. And on Generac's website they state that the generators can run continuously without monitoring. This is misleading advertising with the purpose of selling units. If in fact if the engine is that fragile that it will completely die for this reason then warning statements in giant red letters should be plastered all over the instructions and the unit. This is a big lie. The product is an expensive piece of junk. Don't buy it!!

Original review: April 4, 2018

My automatic standby Generac generator was installed in October 2009. At that time I purchased a 10 year service contract that remains in effect through 2019. I've done everything I could to protect this 5 figure investment in Generac products. Soon after the short three year warranty Generac provides on the equipment expired the generator service tech performing the annual maintenance on the generator advised me to contact Generac about the severe corrosion beginning to occur on the base of the generator. He said he'd seen this before and Generac may assist in repairing the corrosion by replacing the base and corroded components.

I then contacted Generac customer service, explained the situation, provided photos, and was basically told "it's not our problem". The corrosion has continued to worsen, and frankly I'd not be surprised if the base didn't rot all the way through and leave the engine and components on the ground at some point in the near future. I've again contacted Generac and been told (again) it's not their problem. In doing research on the issue it seems Consumer Reports and others rate Kohler generators much better than Generac, and Kohler generators can be fitted with composite non-corroding enclosures. Very disappointed in the customer service from Generac, and their failure to support their product and customer.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I have a generator XG8000e that is not venting the tank. I called to Generac but they say that they do not provide technical information except if a dealer call. The unit is call portable but need two strong people and a truck to move it. The cost to take the unit to a "dealer" is too much. Anybody with mild mechanic experience can fix it but they do not let you get the parts.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Will NOT be suggesting Generac generators to friends and online! After only 106 hours of light use... the dreaded and well-documented bad rotor issue has hit me. My generator was running for 23 hours during this last Massachusetts Northeastern storm. After 23 hours, the generator died. Turns out it is a bad rotor! Seriously this 14KW generator has only 106 hours on it. Garbage! It will take over a two weeks to fix this just to get the part which is about 450 dollars. JUST FOR THE PART!

Generac support said that they will do NOTHING for this problem. Looking on the internet this is a well-known issue. If it were happening in a car there would be a RECALL! Seriously I will need to pay over 1000 dollars to repair this and not even have it in time for the next storm coming this week! GENERAC NEVER AGAIN. Will be looking elsewhere for my generator needs. Model Number: 0058721. Model Name: Generac 14KW natural gas standby generator. What is the problem: Home Standby Generator will not produce power.

Generac Power Systems expert review by ConsumerAffairs

For over 50 years, Generac has been making residential standby generators. Today it also makes portable and industrial generators, fully automatic transfer switches and accessories for backup power applications. Consumers can choose from multiple fuel types for their generators and many different series and models based on their specific needs.

• Generators for homeowners: Generac makes over 40 models of residential generators across six series: The Guardian, Synergy, EcoGen, PowerPact, QuietSource and Protector series. Each model in the homeowner generator category runs on natural gas or liquid propane and sits outside like a typical air conditioning unit. Each model delivers backup power directly to your home’s electrical panel, eliminating the need for extension cords, and runs on your existing natural gas or liquid propane fuel supply so you won’t run out of fuel.

• Generators for business: Generac offers businesses with multiple standby power solutions including gas- and diesel-fueled, bi-fuel and modular power systems. Its single generators offer up to two megawatts of power, while its paralleling systems allow for multiple units to be installed together, offering standby power of up to 7,000 watts.

• Mobile generators: Generac’s line of mobile generators can be fueled by diesel or gas, have a rugged, durable design and come with wheels for easy transportation across multiple types of terrain. Mobile units include generators, light towers, heaters, pumps, water trailers and government/military-used generators, which are customized for remote military locations.

• Mobile remote monitoring: Generac’s residential generators come with Mobile Link remote monitoring. This feature allows you to check your generator's status from your laptop, tablet or smartphone.

• Pricing: Generac has a tool on its website to help you locate the nearest dealer to your location. A dealer's website site generally lists pricing for the models they carry, or you can call for pricing.

• Best for: homeowners or property owners wanting reliable backup power.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs