Save on Appliance Repairs

Save on Appliance Repairs

With the Best Home Warranty

Compare Quotes

205 Generac Power Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 17, 2019

I bought a whole house generator through RC Watt. It was installed. Two days later my furnace blew. Had to be replaced. I was promised a full 7 year warranty was not given. Then I paid a different company to maintain it and I was charged 47.00 for a part and 190.00 for labor after paying 250.00 for maintenance. The company says it will not cover these fees. Breach of warranty.

Original review: March 14, 2019

WARNING - installers hired by Lowe's are amateurs! We've had our 11KW standby generator with automatic transfer switch since Sept 2017. It goes through the weekly tests effortlessly. We have never had a power outage, so I can't attest to how it performs under those conditions. As we were thinking of actually selling the unit (since we don't seem to lose power at all where we live), we experienced a snow slide off our roof, which landed right on the lid of our generator and caved it in so we can no longer open it. A friend of ours just had one installed as well and was in utter shock that the unit was placed where it was because their installer explained to them that they had to put the unit far enough away from the house so that this very situation did not happen to them. They could not believe our installer made such an amateur error.

I contacted Lowe's and they said this is something I should have mentioned at installation, not now. Really? I'm paying thousands of dollars to have a pro install this unit and I'm supposed to be the expert and inform him that he's not picking the correct location??? After fighting for a while, they tried to tell me I need to call Generac and inquire about a warranty issue since this is not a Lowe's issue! Again, REALLY??? I said this has nothing to do with the warranty as the unit works, but everything to do with Lowe's installation location... which is literally beneath our roof line. We live in up north Michigan. We get snow. The unit was installed in a poor location and will never survive. Period.

I asked for a Lowe's supervisor and I have left four messages with one and have not heard back. I did reach out to Generac and they didn't know what else to say other than I could file a homeowner's insurance claim and call this an act of God. It's not an act of God... Lightning striking and hitting the unit is an act of God. If this is an act of God, then I invite anyone to park their car in the same spot in the winter. Or, pull up a lawn chair and have a seat there too. Because, as I'm being told, something would only happen to you if an act of God occurred.

So, bottom line... I have no problem with the product and I would recommend it to a friend... but with a HUGE warning that they get an installer that knows what they're doing and stands behind their work. But, because I can't even open my unit and it will continue to get crushed if not moved, I had to give it a one star rating because it would eventually become useless.

Get expert buying tips about Generators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Generac Power Systems does not stand behind their warranty. I purchased a standby generator in 2016 and the extended warranty in 2018. A few days ago, the Generac cold weather kit shorted and blew fuses and caused the genny to not operate. Generac denied the warranty service due to it being an "accessory" not part of the generator.

First they claimed no warranty at all and then changed their response to it is a 90 day warranty. That is ridiculous. They were unable to provide me with a copy of the so-called warranty upon request and I was not given one at purchase or install. I don't believe it actually exists as a separate item. The authorized repairman who diagnosed and fixed the problem said that it was from the rubber at under the battery would become grooved due to vibration in normal service and that the battery and a cable would evenutally short out. They have seen this before and he states that Generac no longer puts the mat in place due to this issue.

I think Generac should acknowledge the design flaw in the Generac cold weather kit as sold to me instead of trying to hide behind a so-called 90 day warranty excuse that either did not exist at the time of the sale or was not given to me. Either way, the kit was attached to the only item that had a provided warranty and is supposed to be covered for parts and labor. I am being charged $115.41 for the repair job and it should be $0.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I purchased a Generac 20kw standby generator in 2011 and had it installed. We live in an area where power outages are rare so the bulk of the time on the generator are the weekly exercise hours. I followed their maintenance procedures to the letter and then some. As per their service schedule, I changed the oil and filter after the 8 hour break in period and then twice a year as opposed to their suggested 200 hours or every 2 years. Spark plugs and air filter were changed yearly as opposed to their suggested 2 year/200 hours. The generator is placed in a non dusty environment and we are nowhere near the beach so salt air is not a factor. After 112 hours of run time the oil pump is not producing sufficient pressure and the generator shuts down. The oil pump is buried in the center of the engine block so changing that is not an option.

Long story short, I need a new engine to the tune of $1500. I understand that the unit is out of the 3 year warranty, but Generac will only warranty a new engine for 90 days. They consider it a part. If this was a car it would only have approximately 4000 miles on it and need a new engine. I am completely disappointed in their customer service and willingness to stand behind their products. I’m not asking for a free engine, but just a warranty longer than 90 days on a new. In a nutshell, if you’re planning on spending $10000-$12000 on a generator I would check out other brands prior to Generac.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

They have turned a great product in to a piece of junk. You have to have activation codes connect to wifi, and have a degree in computer science to use the new standby generator. When I called customer service to help with getting it started he was very disrespectful. If you move the generator from its first location to another house it will not run and voids warranty. Ask a lot of questions before you buy their new products, old stuff was great now not so much. He said now it is like Windows software you truly don't own it they have to approve every thing. It will not run if the software is not up to-date. You have to have internet wifi to update or a memory stick to update or run it in limp mode, it's not a generator. It's a computer. If you live in the city and are a Millineal you might like it but over 40 and live in the country forget it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generac Power Systems?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I bought this generator to power a cabin. Had the authorized dealer out several times. The last time he was out he said there is no compression. JUNK. Called Generac. Keep in mind this is less that 1 yr. I was told no warranty because its off the grid. Meaning no other power source. This generator is a big generator and was purchased solely to power the cabin. Waiting to hear from Generac Resolution. I do not recommend this generator. Sorry.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I purchased the 22KW generator in December 2017 and 12 months later the unit had a catastrophic engine failure. I contacted Generac with a request for a new unit and was advised that they would only replace the engine. This was an expensive unit and should have never had an engine failure with very little use. Two neighbors purchased Generac generators based on my recommendations. Hopefully my neighbors will not have a similar experience. I can assure you that I will never recommend Generac to anyone again.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Purchased a 50 kW diesel generator and ATS (automatic transfer switch) through Power Equipment Direct in late August. Due to the size, this was a build-to-order generator. Generac kept pushing back the delivery date, finally telling us in January that they couldn't get the diesel engine. We had to cancel the order and got an RMA to return the ATS that had been delivered. We shipped the switch back on 1/10. The switch was received on 1/14 by Generac (have POD). As of 2/12, they claim the RMA is still in progress and have not issued credit (approximately $1000). Generac will not speak with me, saying I have to go through their distributor. I finally got someone in PED Customer Service that said we will get our credit from them and they will fight with Generac. We will see. I would never do business with Generac again.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Poor product, customer support and recall policy - I had a 17kw unit installed by Generator Supercenter of Tomball TX in December 2011. Starting in mid 2017 when the power did go out, generator would kick in but the lights would flicker the whole time. I went out and checked finding an Under-voltage message on the display and it would shut down 30 seconds into the weekly cycle. Around the same time, I received a letter from Generac stating that there is a potential problem with the plenum leaking gas and causing a fire. They stated that the service call would be $85 unless a problem was found and covered under the recall.

I figured I better have this checked since the unit had the potential to start my house on fire. When the tech came out, he stated the there was no leak but that the rotor/stator was bad and putting out no voltage. It would have to be ordered and replaced and gave he gave me an estimate of $2,557.47. He said he could order the part right away and it would be in within 2 weeks. Now having a dead generator, I agree to the repair. Two weeks later, I received a call from GSC telling me that my unit was discontinued and that the part would not be available for 3 months. They told me that they would look for one at various depots and would call me if they found one.

After not hearing from GSC for 3 1/2 months. I called them and they told me that the part was no longer available at all! Not knowing what to do, I asked them if I needed a whole new generator and they said that they would contact high level support at Generac to see if something could be done. The next day they called me and said that they could retrofit a different part for the same price I was quoted. I agreed to this and the new part worked but now I was back to the same Under-voltage problem. When a different tech came out he found that the control unit was bad and would cost additional $949.28 to replace! After all of this I'm out $3,703.75 for a unit that has less than 20 hrs run time on it. BTW, the next time Generac sends me a letter stating that they want to charge me for a service call due to their design/manufacturing defect, I think I will ignore it!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

My power has been out for 5 days but I am warm and comfortable because of my Generac! Very dependable! I have 7 cats, one bunny, eight finches, eight ducks and two chickens that are also not suffering because we bought a Generac! :) Worth every dollar spent!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I financed a Generac standby generator through Home Depot. In Massachusetts they contract with a company in Foxboro Ma. The rep came the end of August/beginning of September but said the installation would not be until February. I looked the company up online and their reviews were terrible- Barros Companies. Still I had no option as they are the Generac contractor through HD.

They finally called the third week of January to schedule work. It was impossible dealing with the woman on the phone who was scheduling. She would say work would be done on a certain day and then claim she never said that. She would say she would call back and then never call back. The owner eventually called to apologize but they didn’t come the next day to finish the work nor did they call to tell me when they are coming.

John the owner said the light should be green on the generator and that it’s up and running, even though the trench isn’t filled, the pipes aren’t painted, and the electrical inspection hasn’t happened. When I went outside the light is red. I don’t know if I am supposed to turn it on or what. But since they aren’t finished I am afraid to. We live in an area in Massachusetts that loses power. We have a well. My husband is getting over cancer. I am afraid if and when they finally finish, will they respond at all or in a timely manner if there is a problem. This has been a terrible experience.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

My Generac Homelink 50 amp transfer switch came to me missing a screw on the faceplate I installed. The unit took two days which is probably about normal and then when I called customer service about the screw all I got was the shrug shoulders and the last time I called which was my fifth time the woman told me "Generac what's a multinational corporation blah blah blah." She never helped me find a screw. I'm screwed. Her name was Marge. I talked to Scott. I talked to Jessica. No one could help me. Never again.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I purchased a whole-house backup generator from an authorized Generac dealer/installer in 2017 along with "free maintenance package" for 10 years. It turns out that they will NOT honor that "free maintenance package". Why, they claim that the dealer did not submit the necessary paperwork, although I have copies of the unit having been properly registered with Generac.

Turns out that this advertised incentive only applies if you submit an entirely different set of papers, including an original sales receipt (why? It is already on their site) - they claim that these instructions were contained somewhere on their website - of course the copy of the promotion that I was given makes no mention of this! PLEASE READ THE FINE PRINT AND BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT TRUSTING THEM! The unit works great, their customer service does not! Personally, I consider their advertised promotion, based on what I had downloaded from their website before buying, bordering on false advertising!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Watching infomercial telling me how great they are. Now that I have three of them and have had plenty of trouble with 2 of them, always buy extended warranty. Only the right company will have the right service guys. The wrong service guys will be back to fix something shortly after they service your unit. It won't be covered under warranty. After you buy, the problems you have will always be because of something your installer, who will probably be someone besides the party who sold it to you, did wrong. It would be nice if Generac spent some of their money being used to suck you in to help you after they've sucked you off. I've never read where they helped anyone that was slightly out of warranty or really did anything decent for people who gave them their money.

If you can't find anything to buy from anyone else, buy your Generac from the guy who is going to install it. I am in the market for a fourth generator, it will not be a Generac even though I think I've found the right service guy who could sell me one. While searching for this guy, I talked to one company who would be happy to sell me a new one but they wouldn't touch any I already owned because they didn't sell them. Choose your product carefully but exercise even more care choosing your seller.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I purchased a 16kw home generator in 2017. Up until Oct. 2018 it had done nothing more than run five minutes a week. It was also within this time period we had two significant storms that caused electricity to go out. That is when the trouble started. First event oil plug blew out under pressure. Second, yellow light came on. Repaired, failed to cycle for the 5 minute weekly check. (Twice.) Installer (who has been great) had to replace plugs because of improper factory settings. Third, problem in starting again, thinks it might be a computer control problem this time, jury is still out.

I researched a generator for my home for five years before making this major purchase, saved up for two years. And the truth is if it is fixed at some point (because they will never replace it, ask the company before you purchase one). It will never give me what the company promises. "We give you peace of mind." All it has given me is a lot of repair visits. So save yourself some grief and purchase something else.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I bought the manual pull start model and it is a bear to pull start. I am almost 70 and would not recommend the manual pull start to any senior citizens. I have to remove air filter and use starting fluid sprayed into carb. Still pull and pull before it starts. Contacted customer service and three different reps. Each one quit responding and never got answers. Their website has a "parts" section but all parts are shown as "no longer available" or "out of stock". I would not buy again. No help after the sale.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

The first power failure the generator came on fine. The next one it failed to come on and locked up. It gave error code E1062. The dealer reset the unit and the next power failure it did the same thing. The dealer said he could not fix and I had to get another dealer to do the warranty work. Two separate dealers have given me the runaround and they all are too busy to set an appointment. Generac customer service says I have to call a dealer. The unit is useless as is Generac service. DO NOT BUY A GENERAC UNIT and especially not the Synergy unit.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Bought the 16 kW home standby generator in 2004 because we have a lot of power outages in living rural. Generator ran okay for several years. Had an over-speed trip problem, battery charging problem. Generac tech repaired those at my costs. Had a slow starting problem (still do). Generac service companies (2) cannot fix it. One service company charged me $356. for the service call, 2 spark plugs, one air filter and it didn't help any at all. Had another tripping off problem. Generac tech said it was a bad stator. I replaced the rotor & stator for $1300. myself.

Started right up and tripped off again. I replaced the motherboard PC card for $275. and ran fine for 1 year. Tripping off again. Generac tech replaced the PC card again. After his repairs, the generator exercised while I was away and cut off all power to the house for 10 days. Lost everything in the freezer. Still not repaired. I'm through with Generac techs who have no idea in hell as to what they are doing other than being parts changers. What a piece of expensive junk.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

This unit is brand new and has never run. Zero hours on this units clock. I have called the Generac company three times but have not been helped or given advice on how to fix this problem. The problem is I can not move the fuel selection switch from natural gas to propane. I was told there is a pin stopping the switch from turning. There are several Generac service people in New Hampshire but the few I called never returned my call. Generac never returned my calls or offered to help with this problem with the fuel selection switch, keeping in mind this unit is brand new and never has run at all.

I would suggest you look for another brand generator, like something made in China since these Generac units are made here in the good old USA are junk. Now I have two broken Generac generators here, one with an open stator I have had for ten years and ran well and this brand new Generac generator that has no hours on it. I guess I could use them for mourning anchors for boats. Stay away from this company please or you will be writing a bad review like me.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I purchased the Generac EcoGen in July 2015. Home is off grid and Generac had a good sales pitch. The EcoGen was hooked up and activated on Sept 15, 2015. It would not start so service was ordered. Generac repairman walked into my yard looked at the EcoGen saying he knew nothing about them and left. Second repair call was two weeks after. He diagnosed issue as the main motherboard. An additional two more weeks for part to arrive and two more weeks to installation. Generac has it finally turning on Nov 30, 2015. We were building our home so usage began Nov 2017. Now on Nov 16, 2018 it shuts down during dinner and will not work.

Contacted Generac Nov 17, 2018. Today is Dec 10, 2018 and so far NO Generac repairman has been to my home. Generac one day says generator is not under warranty then two weeks later says it is and now today says no warranty. The whole issue is when DID my warranty start? When it was activated or when Generac got it running. This is all documented with Generac, yet they are choosing to ignore. We are very disappointed with Service and support from Generac. We also found out that Generac has discontinued this generator due to the number of problems associated with it. AND Generac knew there were such issues and didn't do a recall. AND now they are putting this burden on the customer who paid for this device. Generator less than 200 hrs; cost $3900; repair quote $3,000!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I had a 20 KW Generac Synergy model installed this summer (June 2018). I chose the Synergy model after reading that it would be quieter running and save fuel due to the capability of varying the running speed due to the load required. I live in Central Virginia about 40 miles southwest of Richmond. We lost power for the first time during Hurricane Michael for four days (90 hours) and it never missed a beat. I was without power for 5 seconds while the transfer switch turned power on from the generator and that was it. A few weeks later the power was out for about 8 hours. Again, after 5 seconds my generator supplied my power needs flawlessly. We had one other 5-minute outage and the system performed the same.

Total outages so far 98 hours and five minutes. Time spent without power for these three outages totaled 15 seconds. As per the claim about lesser fuel costs for LP gas used, I’m not sure what the Guardian Series uses but I was very pleased with my fuel consumption with the Synergy. I had my tank refilled to replace what was used out of curiosity. I deducted the amount of fuel I estimate that I used to cook with and was very happy with what I used during the outages for powering the house. It was about half of what I expected it to cost.

As for the noise factor, I’m very happy. My unit is just outside of my living room wall virtually 8 to 10 feet from where I sit when watching television. The sound is a comfortable level and not an annoyance at all. I cannot hear it when I move to the other side of the house and it transferred the power back to commercial feed without me hearing it turn off once because of the lower sound threshold causing me not to even notice. I am only 5 month into ownership but the 90 hours of use is a good test and I hope it is a good omen on how it will perform in the future. I will definitely give a report if something bad happens moving forward. So far 2 thumbs up on the Synergy.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I purchased a 16KW Generac Standby generator in 2006. I have maintained according to the manual all this time with no issues (other than a new battery). Our power went out recently during a snowstorm. The generator kicked on automatically and all was good for about 5 and 1/2 hours when the generator was still running but the house was getting no power. A technician came out and they are saying they need to disconnect it and take it to their shop to replace the stator and rotor. This will be between $1,000 and $2,000. I don't even have 400 hours of use on this motor. The repair service suggested replacement but why would I purchase another Generac based on this experience?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Prior to purchasing a Generac Synergy 20KW unit, we had a Bryant unit. After 12 years of flawless service we felt we should upgrade to a whole house unit. For the records our old Bryant unit is still providing reliable service for our next door neighbors, while our new Synergy model has been trouble from the start. Shortly after install the unit failed and over a period of 4 months we worked with the local authorized Generac service dealer and customer service at Generac.

The issue was a faulty stator, which required the entire unit be taken to the service dealer's shop and rebuilt. It ran on its weekly starts ups for 1 year and shortly after the authorize dealers performed annual maintenance on the unit, it failed again with the same code from a year ago. "De-Ja-Vu" Given the features, it offered I felt it would be a good fit, however, there is a lot to be said about advertising. From reading reviews, it appears they have serious quality issues, which should be their focus. We will see how Generac stands behind it this time, however, my sight is look at a RELIABLE alternative.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

We installed our generator in 2014 and within a few months purchased the extended 10 year warranty. It has been serviced by a Generac approved technician since installation. In September of this year we had hurricane Florence. The generator ran flawlessly for the six days during the storm and afterwards until power was restored. It tried to start during the normal exercise on the Sunday after the storm and would only run a few seconds and quit. We contacted our service contractor who came and inspected the generator and told us we had severely corroded stator, main controller and electrical harness for these components. He recommended a total replacement since repairs of this nature are sometimes only the beginning and the system might not be reliable. The cost for replacement and installation of just these parts would be about $3,000 and a whole new generator about $6,300.

We hoped our insurance would cover this but unfortunately they do not and is a whole other matter. When I finally called Generac today they said “you are not suppose to operate them when rain can get sucked into the intake as that will corrode the system. They are only meant to provide power when you lose power”. You could have driven a Mack truck into my mouth when it dropped open. I said “you mean to tell me your equipment is not designed to operate in inclimate weather which is typically the ONLY time you lose power and we are to run outside and shut the generator down because it can’t get wet when running?”

Needless to say I was shocked. Not only did I find nothing in my operating manual about this and in fact the manual just says “installed in an all-weather metal enclosure and is intended exclusively for outdoor operations”. I then have been told that I can’t talk to anyone in the warranty department of Generac, only my licensed Generac dealer can. My dealer is fabulous and he has been already told the warranty will not cover this... so what do we do now? I am not going to quietly go away. I want somebody from Generac to call me... Generac if you are listening my serial number is 9063546... look me up and call me... I would really like to hear from you.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I have a 14kw whole house generator and the rotor was wound with loose winding causing a huge damage in the stator, this caused a catastrophic damage of the rotor as well. The generator is 10 years old and usually ran 12 min a week. I have made all the scheduled maintenance as per the user’s manual instructions. Why did this happen? Can Generac provide me with a new stator and rotor? Generac: I can send you pictures of the rotor and stator for your comments and your help with the spare parts costs due to this unit not been used for more that 400 hours since the installation.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I imagined myself Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau as this was happening: Brand new, out of the box. I assembled the frame and followed the directions exactly. The generator ran for 3 minutes before stalling without warning and refusing to restart. I attempted to restart it for about an hour to no avail. Being a pull start, I was exhausted so I decided to call it a night. I tried to turn the fuel cutoff switch to 'off'. While doing so, the switch handle broke off in my hand. I woke up the next day to a puddle of fuel beneath the generator from a leaky fuel line. I replaced a fuel line clamp and attempted to restart the unit. However the lever for the choke was jammed in the 'off' position. After some coaxing I was able to free the choke up, and on only the 36th pull it roared into life.

Once idling, the carburetor began spewing gasoline on the floor. No, no, no, not from the fuel line this time, from the cracked carburetor housing! So, I quickly shut the unit off before it ignited the fuel pool, as fuel was also getting on the exhaust. Because the cutoff valve switch was broken, I had to use vise-grips to clamp the fuel line shut to prevent 5 gallons of fuel ending up on my floor. (Brand... New... Generator.) Generac, to my estimation, is a collection of randomly assembled garbage. The Chinese motor is more than just inferior, it's dangerous. Pot metal is used on critical parts. A new replacement factory carburetor is only $17 which tells you all you need to know. Save yourself the pain, spend some real $ and go buy ANYTHING else.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I bought a Generac generator two months ago. I had a reputable Generac authorized dealer electric company license (Mathers Electric in Tallahassee Florida) and insured to install it. The generator didn't work correctly from day one. I've had nothing but problems with it. It didn't even pass the state home inspection right after it was installed. The same day it was installed, the electricians couldn't even get the Wi-Fi to work. I had to wait 2 weeks for them to come back and they said the reason it didn't work was because of serial numbers on the generator didn't match up with what the actual serial numbers on the generator. The electrician had to call Generac to get the correct serial numbers. We had a hurricane two weeks ago and Generator worked for two days and quit. I got a lemon is what I believe has happened.

When I start it, it will work for a day or so and during that day or so the lights will flicker completely off and then come back on the generator will rev down and then right back up like a power surge. It happens two or three times an hour and then eventually the generator just dies. When I first bought the generator you're supposed to let it run for 25 hours and then have the Electricians come out and change the oil. I did that. The oil was changed 2 weeks prior to the hurricane. The generator people came out and decided that the generators problem was low on oil. It was. In two days of running the generator, it burned a quart and a half of oil. There is no reason why it burn that much. I ran the generator after they "fixed it" and still the lights are flickering on and off and the generator is revving up and down.

I lost everything in the freezer. I have used an extra propane trying to test the generator out and figure out what's wrong with it. Generac does not want to do anything about it because the generator is running even though it isn't running correctly with the lights and power flickering and the generating shutting down after running it a few hours. My advice is, think twice before buying Generac. They are suppose to be a good company but they haven't shown me that they stand behind their warranties. They haven't honored their warranty on my generator.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I spent the last of my savings for a generator because we live in Florida and we keep having a lot of hurricanes. There are two elderly people that live in my house and they have to have power for their medical needs. The generator didn't work from day one. The generator would not start when we had to start it during a hurricane. I am elderly and I was out there on a ladder and 60 mile an hour winds trying to get it started because we didn't have any power. After calling Generac and trying to get it fixed and they sent out their representative to fix it but they say it works but we're still having power surges where it will power up and and then power down with the lights going out and then the generator come back on again it's not working like it's supposed to.

We lost everything in our freezers and we have went through more propane so their workers can sit there and let it start up and let it run. They don't know what's wrong with it so they can't fix it or diagnose it. Generac says that sense of generator still running even though it doesn't run incorrectly that they won't do anything to make it right. I wish I had bought a generator from anybody but them. I don't recommend Generac.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I had the unit installed professionally by Billy ** of CT. The unit was installed on a 3’ high brick based along with the Generac provided base in order to have the unit off the ground during snow storms. Me ** maintained the unit for the 1st two years without any incidents. I continued to maintain it yearly by changing the oil, oil & air filter on a yearly basis. At 25+ hours of runtime the valves were checked & the spark plugs were changed. The unit has 38 runtime hours at this time & has run flawlessly. I am thankfully pleased with the performance of the unit. The only complaint that I have is that I can’t schedule the unit to test run for more than 5 minutes, & I must manually turn it on for additional minutes to ensure the proper heating up of the oil.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I purchased this unit in 2009. Very few hours on it. Last couple years it has struggled to start on the weekly run. “Stopped overcrank errors” being the most common. Summer of 2017 I replaced the battery and plugs, worked fine till December then the same issues. I just had the yearly maintenance done in July, still won’t start most weeks, I talked to a dealer today, he says the 8kw has been nothing but trouble and Generac has discontinued them.

Generac Power Systems expert review by ConsumerAffairs

For over 50 years, Generac has been making residential standby generators. Today it also makes portable and industrial generators, fully automatic transfer switches and accessories for backup power applications. Consumers can choose from multiple fuel types for their generators and many different series and models based on their specific needs.

• Generators for homeowners: Generac makes over 40 models of residential generators across six series: The Guardian, Synergy, EcoGen, PowerPact, QuietSource and Protector series. Each model in the homeowner generator category runs on natural gas or liquid propane and sits outside like a typical air conditioning unit. Each model delivers backup power directly to your home’s electrical panel, eliminating the need for extension cords, and runs on your existing natural gas or liquid propane fuel supply so you won’t run out of fuel.

• Generators for business: Generac offers businesses with multiple standby power solutions including gas- and diesel-fueled, bi-fuel and modular power systems. Its single generators offer up to two megawatts of power, while its paralleling systems allow for multiple units to be installed together, offering standby power of up to 7,000 watts.

• Mobile generators: Generac’s line of mobile generators can be fueled by diesel or gas, have a rugged, durable design and come with wheels for easy transportation across multiple types of terrain. Mobile units include generators, light towers, heaters, pumps, water trailers and government/military-used generators, which are customized for remote military locations.

• Mobile remote monitoring: Generac’s residential generators come with Mobile Link remote monitoring. This feature allows you to check your generator's status from your laptop, tablet or smartphone.

• Pricing: Generac has a tool on its website to help you locate the nearest dealer to your location. A dealer's website site generally lists pricing for the models they carry, or you can call for pricing.

• Best for: homeowners or property owners wanting reliable backup power.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs