4.0/5 (576 ratings)

About Generac Power Systems

Generac Power Systems Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generac Power Systems?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generac Power Systems?

Original review: May 4, 2022

Extremely poor customer service. They offer special warranties and then tell you they aren’t available over their technical glitch once you make a purchase. They have lost my $49.95 per month mobile link service for 5 years over principal along with losing multiple referrals. Would not buy again. Should have purchased a Kohler.

Original review: April 25, 2022

I recently had home built in coastal GA. One of the worst mistakes I made was adding a 24kv Generac generator. I actually have a lot of experience with Kohler generators thru my day job. The cheap generac unit extremely costly as we had to upgrade the service to our home. Because I wasn't looking over their shoulders every second of every day, the electricians wired in circuits that are useless on a generator (like outdoor lights, etc). Not the generator's problem but adds to a horrible set up.

The unit itself is rather cheap and the app needed to run it has never worked. So the unit is attached to my house and electrical service but has been completely un-monitored since day 1. This means it never does a test run-up, if the power goes out there's no way to control the stupid thing. I can't say enough the app to use is totally worthless. The technicians that work on this waste of space, are very expensive and the service contact has been useless (as the unit in new!), generac as been absolutely useless! I should have purchased a Kohler or nothing at all. I honestly wish I could pay someone to remove completely from house but I'm stuck with it like a virus! My last thought is I normally don't do reviews but I would recommend hitting yourself in the hand with hammer instead of wasting time and money on useless generac junk!

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2022

I tried to get a quote from Generac generators. The appointment was scheduled & no one showed up or called. They are the worst in taking care of a new customer. I give them an "F." When I called to find out why no one showed up, it was because they may to pull a permit to install which is normal where I am located. I only wanted a quote, not an install. What kind of jokers does generac give their business to. I am done with them.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

I was told that I had to have one of their contractors to install to get the 7 year warranty. When I called to check on the warranty after the installation I did not get a answer. When I finally got to talk to someone I was told that I had to buy the generator from one of their distributor electrical contractors and have it installed by them. I bought the generator from somewhere other than them so I do not have a seven year warranty. I want anyone that wishes to save money and have a warranty not to purchase a GENERAC generator.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I bought a 22kw stand by Generac Generator from an installation company in November of 2020. In August of 2021 the power went out for the first time since purchasing. The generator ran and I had power. Then a service tech came out to do a scheduled warranty service and said the motor doesn't sound right. It turns out that the tab on a spark plug was broken off and banging around in the cylinder. Generac ok'd a new motor. It's now December 6th, my power is out, and still no word on the new motor. That's over three months now.

I tried calling Generac and they are full of excuses and won't promise a delivery date. They say to not call them but rather call the installer. The installer is just full of excuses but that's another review. Today I called the installer again because now my power is out. She says I am on her list to call, says they have the motor and I am scheduled for next Tuesday (7 days away, hope my power comes back on). This installation cost me $11,000.00.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

The solar batteries are extremely limited in that it can't support an hvac system, which most solar batteries can handle with ease. However, if you have an additional 15,000 dollars you can achieve it. But why waste the money when other companies can do it cheaper.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

I have purchased several Generac generators and I have just had my first complication. The generator at my main residence is a 16kw about a year and a half old. During the last outage the motor suffered a catastrophic failure. I called to find a service tech who came out and verified that it was in fact DOA. Generac approved a motor replacement and assured me that it would be expedited. Four weeks later and I have no motor. My service tech and I have both reached out to my Generac representative with no response via email or phone. I am without power once again as it has become a standard event. I have no backup generator which means no water as I am on a well. Generac is only concerned with selling generators. They have no interest in service or warranty after the sale. Do yourself a big favor and buy a different brand. It's not if if you will have a problem, it's when and you will be on your own.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Purchased a stand alone 10kw Generac generator in 2013. In August 2021 home power went out. Noticed blue smoke pouring from generator that had turned on. Dealer came and after 1.5 hours determined the motor had gone bad. Generator had a total of less than 20 service hours since 2013. I have riding lawnmowers older than this generator that run well. Now I have to pay for a new motor that is not here as of October. I have since noticed generator companies with a 10 year warranty and 24/7 service.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

We had a Breather Gasket oil leak on our 11KW generator. The cause was the 2 bolts vibrated loose after less than 3 years. Generac wouldn’t cover the repair even though this is a common problem. The fix was a kit with gasket and 2 new bolts with thread lock on them. This problem was stated in the directions for the kit so Generac knows this is a common manufacturing problem. I think it should have been a recall. Generac’s reason for not covering it was our warranty for everything except the power part of the engine had expired. It seems they look for any way to not back their warranty.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

We just had our home generator installed. We called to make sure we had our free 7 year extended warranty. We found out in order to qualify for the free warranty we would have had to initiate the sale through their website or through a special telephone number. Unfortunately, we contacted a local Generac Dealer who came out and assessed our needs, and gave us a quote for installation. We ordered the unit. The response this morning was...."Sorry...you needed to originate from the website not contact the dealer yourself." I am incredibly annoyed. They are warrantying their process not their product. We were warned that Generac was a good product but their customer service, business unit was terrible. Beware. Hopefully, it will work when we need it.

Generac Power Systems author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

For over 50 years, Generac has been making residential standby generators. Today it also makes portable and industrial generators, fully automatic transfer switches and accessories for backup power applications. Consumers can choose from multiple fuel types for their generators and many different series and models based on their specific needs.

• Generators for homeowners: Generac makes over 40 models of residential generators across six series: The Guardian, Synergy, EcoGen, PowerPact, QuietSource and Protector series. Each model in the homeowner generator category runs on natural gas or liquid propane and sits outside like a typical air conditioning unit. Each model delivers backup power directly to your home’s electrical panel, eliminating the need for extension cords, and runs on your existing natural gas or liquid propane fuel supply so you won’t run out of fuel.

• Generators for business: Generac offers businesses with multiple standby power solutions including gas- and diesel-fueled, bi-fuel and modular power systems. Its single generators offer up to two megawatts of power, while its paralleling systems allow for multiple units to be installed together, offering standby power of up to 7,000 watts.

• Mobile generators: Generac’s line of mobile generators can be fueled by diesel or gas, have a rugged, durable design and come with wheels for easy transportation across multiple types of terrain. Mobile units include generators, light towers, heaters, pumps, water trailers and government/military-used generators, which are customized for remote military locations.

• Mobile remote monitoring: Generac’s residential generators come with Mobile Link remote monitoring. This feature allows you to check your generator's status from your laptop, tablet or smartphone.

• Pricing: Generac has a tool on its website to help you locate the nearest dealer to your location. A dealer's website site generally lists pricing for the models they carry, or you can call for pricing.

Generac Power Systems Company Information