Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Generac Power Systems Reviews

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

We bought a Generac 10000 Generator brand new for emergency backup through our electrician who is a Generac dealer. It arrived with factory defects. The air filter cover is cracked preventing the winter/summer knobs from functioning. Major snowstorm today and here we are with a nonworking generator.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Our generator is 8 years old but has less than 320 hours. It quit running a couple weeks ago and gave us a low oil pressure warning. The generator has been serviced on schedule by the installer. The tech inspected the generator and said it is a failed oil pump which is due to other internal engine failures. He said our only recourse is a new motor. Generac gave us 2 choices. New generator at full price or new motor at full price. Buyer beware before purchasing generac.

Get expert buying tips about Generators delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I emailed them twice through the "contact us" link asking a couple simple questions regarding maintenance of the 92460 5.0 liter engine. Crickets. You may want to consider this lack of support in your vendor decision.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

What a horrible experience. A Generac rep scheduled an appointment with Ally Electric and Solar. No problem right! As the date came closer, two days out, I thought maybe I should confirm my appointment. Turns out, the "Ally" guy says, "I have no idea why Generac is scheduling appointments for us, we don't have an appointment for you and have called them to stop doing that." WTF, seriously, what kind of outfit is this. Done with Generac; there are other manufacturers out there. No thanks!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

After 3-1/2 years the generator started leaking oil through the casing. I was very lucky to discover the leak before the generator lost all its oil. As a component that must be available even at the worst possible time, development of a leak after so short a time is unacceptable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generac Power Systems?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

My standby generator was installed after Sandy. I needed the generator three times since then when the power went out. The transfer switch did not operate and the power did not transfer. Each time they came out they said it was fixed and it wasn’t. I’m crossing my fingers that it will work the next time. They said it’s fixed again.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Was told when I bought the generator and transfer switch as a package I was told that both would be covered for 5 years. The generator worked ok for 4 years with little use. The transfer switched failed to transfer properly and would not transfer correctly back to Idaho power. I called warranty service. Was told to call Generac local service. The local service had to call and see if transfer switch was covered.

The service provider called back and said not covered. I called Generac again and they said it was covered by warranty since I bought as a package. I called service rep back and was told that he would not respond unless I agreed to pay $900 dollars for him to look at transfer switch which I new needed part 0D9618. The service rep said that if part D9618 was needed he would have to call Generac and let Generac determine if the part had a factory defect. If the was determined over the phone that it wasn't a factory defect the warranty wouldn't be covered. The rep said that he would not get paid for the trip and his time by generac if not factory defect.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I purchased a home Generac system to ensure that my medical equipment would always be powered during an outage AND for the promotional 10 yr ext warranty. I am a disabled responder due to 9/11 RELATED ILLNESSES and this was vital to ensure my breathing equipment would not be interrupted. Unfortunately I submitted my promotional submission a week late so it was denied (the 10 yr promotional warranty).

I phoned and spoke to Alice and explained that I was in and out of the hospital during this time and also out of state in the Mayo Clinic performing numerous tests regarding my health for which I would gladly forward medical documents proving my reason. Alice who then transferred me to her supervisor Linda clearly stated it was late and nothing can be done. I replied, "I am a disabled responder who was in the hospital having days of medical tests and you're telling me you could care less?" Her response - It was late regardless of the reason so sorry but nothing can be done. I stated it was only a week late because I returned home.

This is disgusting and un-American to treat a disabled responder as such. I stated again, "I was in the hospital having a cerebral spinal tap in addition to other tests and returned home after the due date from the hospital for which I will gladly submit my private medical records as proof but you're blaming me because my health was affected due to helping others?" I WILL NEVER SUPPORT THIS COMPANY AGAIN NOR SHOULD ANY ANYONE FOR THEIR LACK OF COMPASSION. Normally you hear, thank you for your service but Generac has no appreciation for the sacrifices made by the military or responders who risk their life and health on a daily basis.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

Approximately 12 years ago, I purchased a Generac Guardian Elite generator which cost me $12,000. Overall, including the construction costs and maintenance costs the machine has cost me approximately $22,000 to $25,000 over this period. The machine worked well in the first year but has never worked properly since that time.

It simply does not startup when the electricity goes out. It must be turned on manually and even then it does not always work. Three different Generac trained technicians have looked at it and none can figure out why this machine simply does not turn on when power in the house fails. Generac has never stood behind the product and the technicians designated by Generac have given up on it. Moreover, these technicians take weeks to show up to try to correct a problem when it generator is down.

I bought the machine because my wife is blind and paralyzed due to multiple sclerosis and a stroke. When the electricity goes out for any extended period, she winds up in the hospital. I counted on Generac to help me and it failed to do so. My experience suggests that this company's advertising is misleading. My Generac machine does not work as promised and Generac simply does not care.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

Generac has installers but if one goes bad and goes out of business and causes damage to your home they won't help you out!!!! BE VERY CAREFUL ON WHO YOU USE BECAUSE GENERAC WILL NOT BACK THEM!!!!

Generac Power Systems expert review by ConsumerAffairs

For over 50 years, Generac has been making residential standby generators. Today it also makes portable and industrial generators, fully automatic transfer switches and accessories for backup power applications. Consumers can choose from multiple fuel types for their generators and many different series and models based on their specific needs.

• Generators for homeowners: Generac makes over 40 models of residential generators across six series: The Guardian, Synergy, EcoGen, PowerPact, QuietSource and Protector series. Each model in the homeowner generator category runs on natural gas or liquid propane and sits outside like a typical air conditioning unit. Each model delivers backup power directly to your home’s electrical panel, eliminating the need for extension cords, and runs on your existing natural gas or liquid propane fuel supply so you won’t run out of fuel.

• Generators for business: Generac offers businesses with multiple standby power solutions including gas- and diesel-fueled, bi-fuel and modular power systems. Its single generators offer up to two megawatts of power, while its paralleling systems allow for multiple units to be installed together, offering standby power of up to 7,000 watts.

• Mobile generators: Generac’s line of mobile generators can be fueled by diesel or gas, have a rugged, durable design and come with wheels for easy transportation across multiple types of terrain. Mobile units include generators, light towers, heaters, pumps, water trailers and government/military-used generators, which are customized for remote military locations.

• Mobile remote monitoring: Generac’s residential generators come with Mobile Link remote monitoring. This feature allows you to check your generator's status from your laptop, tablet or smartphone.

• Pricing: Generac has a tool on its website to help you locate the nearest dealer to your location. A dealer's website site generally lists pricing for the models they carry, or you can call for pricing.

• Best for: homeowners or property owners wanting reliable backup power.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs