1.82/5
Based on 66 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

154 Generac Power Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 26, 2018

I have a 17kw whole house generator with a defective rotor. The rotor was wound with loose windings which allowed them to protrude past the laminations due to centrifugal force and contact the stator, this caused a catastrophic failure of the rotor and wedged copper wire in the stator. I should also add that this unit is out of warranty and I wasn't asking for a free repair. Just a discount on the repair parts. I called Generac and was told since there were no previous issues reported they could not give me a discount on the defective parts. The generator is 6 years old and runs 15 min a week which is 13 hours per year which equates to 78 hours of exercise time and another 33 hours of run time under load 111 hours. I will also be posting a Youtube video showing this poor workmanship and subsequent poor service.

Original review: June 22, 2018

During Hurricane Harvey, we had 3 ft or so of water in the house and more outside. Our whole house generator flooded. We purchased a new Generac since the old one had worked so good. The purchase and installation was completed in September 2017. This purchase was expensive (flood insurance does not cover anything outside) but gave us “peace of mind”. Here we are, 9 months later and the generator still does not operate. My husband and I took off many work days to get this fixed.

Many parts had to be ordered, some, such as a new regulator with the gas meter had to be paid by us, and the generator is still not working. A month ago we were told by the service center that we need a new ignition coil which is, “surprise!”, on back order. We have spent many days trying to resolve this with Generac and with our installer. When something does not work, especially after spending $8K, they should replace it with a new one. Generac needs to stand behind their product and in their own advertising words: “do more” and “have peace of mind”. I guess our next step will need to be legal.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 22, 2018

Was looking for a American made reputable company to purchase outdoor power equipment from and chose Generac. What a mistake, purchased a new pressure washer and 2 inch water pump only to have the water pump fail in less than 60 days. This was not the bad part anything can break, no big deal until you learn that the company that made it will not stand behind it and you are on your own. Called Generac and was told I would have to pay 87.00 for a new pump housing that cracked. This ST20 pump had a one year warranty or so I thought. Generac will not send you a warranty part you will have to load it up and haul it to a service center for repairs.

I emailed Generac customer service to give them a fair chance to credit me for the warranty part and right this wrong. Instead of giving me my money back for the part under warranty they have stonewalled and doubled down on terrible customer service and ignore the problem. Will never do business with Generac again. Both of my new Generac items a new pressure washer and water pump 900.00 dollars are going to the trash dump. Lesson learned the hard way.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 19, 2018

I bought my automatic Generac Generator for my home in 2014, and bought an "extended" warranty for $966.60 on 6/12/18. I was just told by my Generac repairman that this "new" warranty begins in "2014", when I bought the generator, and not on 6/12/18, when I bought the extended warranty! I am so angry right now! I pulled out the promotional paperwork that I received in the mail, all the lettering is in large, readable print, except for the part that says "it begins the year you bought the generator", that's in very tiny, just barely readable lettering, even with my glasses on. If you're thinking about buying an automatic generator don't buy one from Generac. They're a very sneaky, deceitful company. Give your money to a company you can trust. I wish I had done my homework in the very beginning, and read all the complaints about them. Live and learn...

Original review: May 31, 2018

Generac power washer - I received my power washer in about 10 days from ordering online. When I got around to assembly I discover a few parts were missing. Combed through box to ensure that I had not discarded the parts. Called Generac customer service on the 14th of May. I felt at the time I was well taken care of. They registered my product for that date and said I would get the parts within 10 days. It is now the 30th, called and there was no evidence of previous call. They said they would research further and call me back. Now the 31st, no call. I called them and they said they found the order but it didn't ship because of missing order number. The person was in a meeting. 15 minutes at the most. It has been 4 hours. No call.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generac Power Systems?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 28, 2018

After only 78.5 hours runtime on my 6 year old 20 KW Guardian generator the head popped off the #2 exhaust valve and went thru the piston into the crankcase. Despite the low hours and all the 'never seen that before' comments Generac refused to help even a little on the $2232 engine replacement! Does not promote good will Generac!

Resolution response: May 31, 2018

This incident has been resolved.

Speaking to a representative at Generac, I am baffled as to why this happened in the first place, the representative was also baffled and confused as I shared documents from Generac's website indicating they are waiving promotional fees.

Overall, the issue has been resolved and I am satisfied with the outcome.

However, I do not think this would have happened without first filing the complaint on Consumer Review.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I saw a deal on Generac's website that was too good to be true. If I purchase a Generac SPEEDWASH™ System 3200 PSI Pressure Washer Model 7122, then they; (Generac) will give me 3 Cleaning Tools. Plus free shipping. This purchased was made on April 30th, 2018 and on May 4th, 2018 I was charged an additional $50.00 a promotion fee. This information was never made available to me when I made the purchase but according to Generac's customer service rep, the information was there.

They refused to waive the charge and informed me that the $50.00 was a promotion charge, for the promotion. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. How do you charge a customer for a promotion for which you are offering? I decided to return the machine but changed my mind knowing they will not refund me, not that anything is wrong with the machine but seeing what they have done, they are the kind of company that will do everything they can to take your money, including making false claims and misleading promotion.

This may all seem as a coincidence but they charged the promotion fee after they received confirmation that the machine has been delivered. By doing it this way, the customer may have already opened the box and assembled the machine or; the customer is now responsible for return shipping charges. I will never buy another Generac product or recommend their sales and promotion to anyone. Well organized promotional scam. Stay away from this company and their products unless you have money to waste. By the way, it's all made in PRC.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I have learned (and agree) that the standby generator in itself is a good unit. We have a 14 KW guardian series. It does seem to be a ‘racket’ in the way Generac wants to send out their Servicemen for basic routine maintenance. Only the rectangle air filters has to be ordered, doesn’t seem to be available elsewhere. GENERAC wants us to always be buying maintenance products from them only. We have found for our GENERATOR you can use FRAM TG4386 ‘oil filter’ and not having to buy GENERAC brand. If ever we will need our generator running ‘long term’, having plenty of oil, air & oil filters, spark plugs, couple fuses on hand is essential. Stock up on their air filters — everything else buy local.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I can’t believe they sold me a lemon!!! I purchased a Generac standby generator from Jones 2 1/2 yrs ago. It stopped working with only 38 hrs of usage, barely use! They came and did a diagnostic. It was a bad rotor, they said that the parts was cover by Generac but I have to pay the labor, total cost was $2,700. Almost the price of the generator!!! I should of done my research on Generac before buying!!! Go to Consumer Reports, people complain about the same issue with the rotor. Shame on Jones for purchasing from Generac and selling to its customers. Don’t think about purchasing a Generac whole house generator unless they offer you a 5 warranty! What a rip off!!! Generac should be sued and Jones also for not standing up for its customers and providing defective products for its customers.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Run from this company!!! I purchased this deal through the Mobile grid and it's the worse thing I've ever done. Mr. Sparky was suppose to be the installer but they don't do the gas hook up. I paid for a full install and didn't get it!! I had to pay out of my pocket for the gas install. I wish I never bought this. Would not recommend Generac, the Mobile grid or Mr. Sparky.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I paid “South Shore Generator Service” to perform a “Major PM Service” on my Generac 20kW home standby generator. The technician that did the work. Told me the generator looked good, didn’t need any additional work and only had 53 hrs of run time on the unit. The technician also told me that he left me a quart container of extra oil inside the generator’s bottom in-closer if I ever needed it.

The following morning, I went out to the generator to remove the quart oil container the technician had left me. I didn’t want the oil container bouncing around inside the generator in-closer if I were to lose power and the generator were to start running. When I opened the generator’s in closer top cover to remove the oil container, I noticed around a half quart of oil all over the generator’s bottom interior base. I looked at the quart oil container the technician had left me and noticed it was about half empty. I assumed that oil must have leaked out of the quart oil container or that the technician had spilled oil when he removed the old engine oil filter while installing the new engine oil filter. I did not call South Shore Generator Service back right away, Instead I removed the partially filled quart oil container and cleaned up the oil mess than closed up and locked the generators in-closer.

A few months later my home lost power, this was the first time my home experienced a power lose since I had the generator serviced by South Shore Generator Service. The following afternoon, I went out to check the oil level on my generator, because the generator had been running due to the power outage. When I opened the generators in-closer top cover I noticed about a half quart of oil all over the generator’s bottom interior base plate and oil sprayed all over the engine. I couldn’t locate where the oil leak was coming from.

I cleaned up the oil mess, checked the engine oil level to find that it was down a half quart and went inside and called South Shore Generator Service to tell them about the oil leak. I speak to the service department lead person, and explained the oil leak problem to him and he said that model generator had a sensor that if it were to run out of oil, it would shut down and not cause any major engine damage. He also told me that he would send out a new technician to look into the cause of the oil leak problem.

The technician arrived in two days, to see if he could locate the cause of the oil leak. After about 45 minutes he knocked on my door and told me that he thought the oil leak was a damaged front crank shaft seal, causing the oil leak and that he would report his findings to his boss and that his boss would give me a call back in a couple days. I never received a call back, so after a week I called the company back. I spoke with a woman who answered the company phone and I ask to speak with the service department supervisor, she told me he was busy and would call me back in a few hours. I never received a call back.

A week later I received an email from South Shore Generator Service with a PDF repair quote attached. The quote was to remove and replace the front crankshaft seal with an estimated total of $1,224.71. The quote was for a $9.00 part, $190.00 travel time and the remaining cost was all labor. This was the last time that I communication with South Shore Generator Service.

Next I called the generators manufacture “Generac” and spoke with a girl from Generac customer support. I explained to her everything that had happened with South Shore Generator Service. She told me that she would try to call South Shore Generator Service and would call me be back within an hour or two. In about one and half hours she called me back. She told me see recorded my complaint and had spoken to the South Shore Generator, but she did not mention to me the outcome of the phone conversion. She went on to say that South Shore Generator Service was only listed to sell Generac products and was NOT certified to repair their products. She then want on to say that I would need to pay a certified Generac service company to look at my generator problem to see if they could find fault with South Shore Generators workmanship and she gave me two service companies listed with Generac.

I contacted one of the company’s off her list and they are schedule to come out and look at my generator’s oil leak problem. It will be interesting to see how well Generac backs their products, as my generator is still under Generac’s 5-year warranty. Meanwhile to my dismay I received a bill in the mail from South Shore Generator Service for the amount of $238.39 for the cost of the second technician they sent out to try and find out where and what caused the generator oil leak. It was my understanding with the company that they were sending out the second technician as courtesy check to see if the first technician caused the oil leak problem.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I purchased my Generac 8kw generator at Lowe's and it was installed on March 26, 2013. It was installed and regularly serviced by a Generac authorized electrician. It ran during a 3.5 day power outage with no problem in early March 2018 (just shy of 5 years old). The following week it did not start when the power went out again. I had it diagnosed twice by my electrician, one time he did the troubleshooting over the phone with Generac technical support. The verdict: over crank error. Engine is dead. It either must be replaced or I need a whole new unit. It had only run 4 other times during short outages. I have repeatedly asked my electrician and the customer support team at Generac for a specific reason the engine died. No one has given me an answer. Generac said that the reason is because the generator was not shut down every 24 hours during operation for the oil to be checked.

I was referred to page 29 of the user manual. However, the oil level was fine with all others parts in check and there was no lack of care. At no point during my purchase negotiation, installation, scheduled maintenance visits or inquiries to Generac did anyone state that the unit has to be shut down every 24 hours during extended operation. And on Generac's website they state that the generators can run continuously without monitoring. This is misleading advertising with the purpose of selling units. If in fact if the engine is that fragile that it will completely die for this reason then warning statements in giant red letters should be plastered all over the instructions and the unit. This is a big lie. The product is an expensive piece of junk. Don't buy it!!

Original review: April 4, 2018

My automatic standby Generac generator was installed in October 2009. At that time I purchased a 10 year service contract that remains in effect through 2019. I've done everything I could to protect this 5 figure investment in Generac products. Soon after the short three year warranty Generac provides on the equipment expired the generator service tech performing the annual maintenance on the generator advised me to contact Generac about the severe corrosion beginning to occur on the base of the generator. He said he'd seen this before and Generac may assist in repairing the corrosion by replacing the base and corroded components.

I then contacted Generac customer service, explained the situation, provided photos, and was basically told "it's not our problem". The corrosion has continued to worsen, and frankly I'd not be surprised if the base didn't rot all the way through and leave the engine and components on the ground at some point in the near future. I've again contacted Generac and been told (again) it's not their problem. In doing research on the issue it seems Consumer Reports and others rate Kohler generators much better than Generac, and Kohler generators can be fitted with composite non-corroding enclosures. Very disappointed in the customer service from Generac, and their failure to support their product and customer.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I have a generator XG8000e that is not venting the tank. I called to Generac but they say that they do not provide technical information except if a dealer call. The unit is call portable but need two strong people and a truck to move it. The cost to take the unit to a "dealer" is too much. Anybody with mild mechanic experience can fix it but they do not let you get the parts.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Will NOT be suggesting Generac generators to friends and online! After only 106 hours of light use... the dreaded and well-documented bad rotor issue has hit me. My generator was running for 23 hours during this last Massachusetts Northeastern storm. After 23 hours, the generator died. Turns out it is a bad rotor! Seriously this 14KW generator has only 106 hours on it. Garbage! It will take over a two weeks to fix this just to get the part which is about 450 dollars. JUST FOR THE PART!

Generac support said that they will do NOTHING for this problem. Looking on the internet this is a well-known issue. If it were happening in a car there would be a RECALL! Seriously I will need to pay over 1000 dollars to repair this and not even have it in time for the next storm coming this week! GENERAC NEVER AGAIN. Will be looking elsewhere for my generator needs. Model Number: 0058721. Model Name: Generac 14KW natural gas standby generator. What is the problem: Home Standby Generator will not produce power.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I wanted a standby generator system for my house. I got online with Generac. I was contacted by the local place, (I guess), KA Generator PO box **, Edgewood, NM 87015 - Alan, of KA and I talked and he determined what I needed and the price. I decided to go ahead with the purchase. He told me a specific price for the generator, and the installation. There was much contact back and forth, until I had a "final" price. The Generator came in, unexpectedly one day and I had to make special arrangements to store it at my house. Now I needed installation.

The contractor, Interstate Electric, contacted me about doing a site survey. We set up a time, and they were at least 45 minutes late. (No contact in regards) After the survey, Alan of Interstate told me he had what he needed and quoted a price. I waited 10 days until they could get me on their schedule. When that time was up, they needed to look at my site again. I set it up and waited, and waited. The following day they final came out. At this time Randy said he could not place the generator where he said he was going to put it because it was too close to my house and my neighbor's house. Now he said he needed to place it further away in my back yard, and it was going to cost me $1400.00 extra! I told him I was not pleased and I questioned whether he was new to this or what? I told him I was not going to pay that, and I was going to consider cancelling the entire job. I soon found that I was stuck with the generator, and no installation.

About 10 days later Randy contacted me about doing the job. I told him I was not going to pay $1400.00 extra. We went around and around, and finally he offered to pay half for his mistake, and BS. I told him I would think about it. I waited a few days, then because I felt trapped, I agreed. The installation happened, off and on over the next few weeks. I could never count on them to be at my house when they said they would. It was hit or miss! Finally the system was installed, and I paid Randy, and just wanted him off my property! I got very little new owner instructions. I have read the manuals, but know next to nothing about my system.

Hey Generac, is this the kind of representation you want for your product?? I have since told as many neighbors and friends to not get trapped into the product the way I did. I WILL NOT recommend this product to ANYONE!! The only receipt I received was a typed out list and price from KA Generator, and an emailed one from Randy

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

We purchased a new 22kW Generac standby generator in June '17. Upon initial installation the unit would not start up properly and the installer couldn't figure out why. When I called Generac they required me to have a service tech come out from a “servicing dealer” and told me my dealer was only a “selling dealer”. Since they gave me the selling dealer info to begin with I had no idea there was any difference. I won't bore you with the fact it took over 3 months to get a quote to begin with when we decided on getting a generator. When a service dealer arrived he determined the circuit board was defective and he would need to report it to Generac and have them send a replacement part. It was finally replaced about 3 weeks after original install and appeared to work properly. Little did we know what the future would hold.

Every week for approx 6 months the generator would do its weekly test. Then in early January it started up, ran for 3 seconds or so, and then stopped. I went outside shortly afterward and saw that the red light was on, indicating a serious issue. Back to calling a servicing dealer, who couldn't come out for nearly a week. When they came out they found numerous issues and parts that needed replaced. To make matters worse we were shown proof that the circuit board that was originally replaced was replaced with a refurbished part! A refurbished part on a brand new unit!!

Servicing dealers have no authority to replace anything without Generac approval so they sent pictures, notes and recommendations for review. After another few weeks they came out again with numerous parts... Yet the unit still wouldn't start properly. The technician said he told Generac it also needed the same circuit board be replace but Generac had not provided it. Now a request would need to be made for a new board. I spoke with Generac and demanded a completely new unit since this unit has not worked properly from the beginning. They told me it's their option to replace parts or the unit and they wouldn't replace unit. Generac is complete crap in our opinion. The tech will be out soon to try new part again but my wife and have little faith this $9,000 investment will work properly when needed. We feel 100% ripped off and warn anyone to buy a Generac to run in other direction.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Generac 20KW Whole House Nat Gas Generator - Completely unreliable. Was good for first few years then it's been a nightmare since. Constant failures, no starts, overcrank lockouts. I have only 140 hours run time and have invested so much in repairs, for what I spent I could have allowed my basement to flood and move into a hotel during an outage. Constant conflict with opinions of what is wrong, valve lash goes out of adjustment constantly. Every tech that comes out has a different opinion, all of which are expensive and conflicting each other... Now suddenly I am being told I need a "cold weather kit" yet last year I had a tech come out and blame my battery warmer for constant battery issues, he removed it and said it was not necessary... Now it is? Along with an oil warmer... Maybe I should build a heated shed around it to keep it comfy during the winter??? Not worth the money I spent, not a durable product, not meant for outdoor use in winter.

I had to laugh right at the tech a few weeks ago when he decided to criticize the gas pipe that it's hooked up to... Despite the fact that it is in spec and has been there for 8+ years already without problems, suddenly it seems to be a problem?? Sounds more like they ran out of ideas so let's criticize the owner of it instead? Sad. Just don't buy a Generac, find some other brand.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I purchased the 20kw GENERAC generator in 10/2016 installed 12/2016, due to HOA requirements. Purchased for two main reasons, senior parent with medical needs and two active sump pumps. On 1/1/2018 at 2:30a the owner went out. The very first time that we had a failure this machine FAILED. Fortunately, my parent was visiting with friends and family for the holiday.

I was awake when the outage occurred. I waited the few minutes for the machine to come on. I heard this very loud grinding sound and after 5 minutes nothing happened and the grinding sound had stopped. I realized that there wasn’t a direct or clear point of contact for emergency service. I didn’t know who to call. I hesitated but tried the installers’ number and left a message after being in the dark for about 20-25 minutes. I am thinking it was good that my parent wasn’t home because this would have been a medical emergency. I tried Generac 24/7 Line. This was frustrating because the service line number was not clear nor direct to a service person. No one at the time of emergency wants to go through a series of “Push some number “ to get another “Push another number” for the next instructions. That was very frustrating. No one answered. I hung up. I was flustered because I didn’t know what to do.

The power was restored a couple of hours later. I tried the Generac 24/7 number and this time someone answered the phone. I explained all that happened. I was offered a service tech in my area. It was the same tech who originally installed the unit and he hadn’t yet returned either of my earlier phone calls. The Generac company only support was to basically tell how sorry they were. And I should seek the service from the tech. I refused because I just couldn’t understand a machine at that age by installment date this machine was brand new and it FAILED.

The tech told me beforehand looking at the machine told me that I needed an oil change and the machine would be good. My gut tells me there is more wrong. I am still paying for this machine and it is NOT working. I asked for a new machine or remove and reimburse. The installing tech showed up on Jan 2nd two hours late. He claimed that I needed new oil. The machine only had somewhere close to 4-5 hours of running time. The only running time that we know of is the Five minutes per week of self-checking. I cannot accept this excuse. The grinding was loud and horrible sounding! I know that there had to be internal damage.

I WANT THIS DAMN MACHINE EITHER REMOVED AND REIMBURSED OR A NEW ONE INSTALLED! I am paying a third party credit card company for payments, so I am stuck on this. I don’t trust oil being the problem. And I cannot afford to “wait for the next time the power to go out again as the Generac tech explained.” BULL! I can’t take the risk. Generac was not helpful. They have a serious game going on. I heard “I am sorry” in every way.

THIS MACHINE IS NOT RELIABLE AND THERE IS FAR TOO MANY PEOPLE WITH COMPLAINTS. I gave GENERAC a chance to help, but all I got from the customer service rep was I’m sorry in every way possible. The installing tech doesn’t want to swap out this machine because as he said “he can’t afford to swallow the expense” so in his arrogance I guess it’s okay for me to take on the expense of purchasing an inoperable generator. I warned that I would go public because I was getting the runaround from Generac and the install tech. I too have a large yard ornament with a bright red light. Totally dissatisfied customer.

Updated on 03/04/2018: Just Keeping It Real with Generac Complaints and Reviews. I received a notification that there was a response to my www.ConsumersAffairs.com Review website. I went to the site and I found out that this review business identified my comments as "Resolution in Progress". Well, that was DEFINITELY NOT true at all.

I read the response on or around Feb 21. I was pretty much shocked by the ConsumerAffairs.com review response. I immediately began preparing my response on my tablet and but found it too difficult to type on a small keyboard. I needed to prepare a proper response. Before, I could finish my original response, I saw on the local news the same evening that companies like GENERAC pay review websites to respond to consumers who make complaints. The responsibility of these review sites is to make the company that they are representing, to look positive and responsive to the consumer complaint. I was shocked. So, there is a strong possibility that this site is a FAKE? The local news identified these consumer sites as a SCAM.

I thought everyone should see how I was being "assisted" by the ConsumerAffairs.com. I was surprised to see that their response was not included on the website for all to see, so I included it to let other unhappy consumers see what assistance is being provided that would result in a conclusion that a "Resolution is in Progress".

Company response: 2/12/18. "I am sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with your product, however you described having an independent technician out, who according to your statement below has not found any defects with the unit. I would recommend reaching out for a second opinion if you are not trusting the first review. While Generac does manufacture the product, we clearly outline in the owner's manual that the independent dealerships in your area are your service providers."

TO DATE, I WANT THE OTHERS WHO'S COMPLAINED TO NOTE THAT NO ONE RESPONDED TO MY REQUEST AND TODAYS' DATE IS MARCH 3, 2018. I am a verified purchaser, with a very real problem. The complaint/negative review that I shared on this website on Feb. 2, 2018, now has a statement which infers that GENERAC is working a resolve. Well the individual that responded to me never followed up with a response. It boils down my having to put more money into a generator that I haven't finished paying for and is not working. I still have the RED light on my generator since DEC 31, 2017-JAN 1, 2018.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Was sitting in my garage watching TV and noticed lights flickering. Went to main power box in garage and shut off main circuit breaker. Then I smelled an electrical burning smell. I looked outside at the transfer switch that is mounted on the side of my house. It was blazing on fire. I pulled front cover off to get to fire behind 2nd plate. I used ABC fire extinguisher to put out fire. If I had not been there and promptly handled it, my house might have burned down. My electrician came the next day to bypass and put me back on regular power. He found transfer switch in bottom right of box badly damaged from catching on fire. Called Generac and resolution dept. called me back not seeming too concerned and giving run around. They are sending one of their certified contractors to look at it. I am not mounting this transfer switch back on the side of my house!!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

We have a 7K home standby generator with less than 50 hours of operating time on the engine and it blew up. Called Generac and was told that they were sorry but that it was no longer under warranty and that there is nothing that they would do.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Installed 15KW Generac generator over 11 years ago and it worked well (with regular maintenance). Utility company rerouted power lines this summer and generator came online while they were working. My lights were too bright on one side, put my meter and read 153 volts. Shut the system down (before a fire started) and called Generac. They had no information on my unit (which I had registered when I installed it). They said they only keep records for 4 years!! I asked for the technical manuals for my unit, which they said they don't have. I found other complaints online. Bottom line... After finding some information online, the voltage regulator was bad (Generac stopped making that model, but no recall notice). Be aware!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I purchased a XC8000E commercial grade portable generator on 11-21-2017. It arrived on 12-18-2017, with no battery, called Generac and they sent a battery. On 12-31-2017 I tried to use the generator (6 degrees in WNY). There was no AC output and gas ran out of the carburetor on me and the garage floor. Called Generac, they told me to field flash the unit and put fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank, fix didn't work. I got a lot of bs from customer service, like the generator lost magnetism and the carb. gunked up sitting in the warehouse, (the unit was built in early December). After many more calls and emails they gave me the name of an authorized repair center. I delivered the generator to their repair center on 01-03-2018 and it is still there.

Generac won't replace the unit with one that works, they claim it is a warranty issue. It is not a warranty issue since the unit was never put in service. I am a Vietnam vet, and I strive to buy American. In this case I was robbed of $2499 by Americans? In Wisconsin. I will fight for my new generator as long as I am able. Beware when you buy out of your state. It is sad, but you get better service from jobbers that sell Chinese or other imports, Yamaha or Honda. Honor our Vets please.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Purchased 5k Home generator. From Local Gas Co. and had them install it. Have had several issues with the generator cranking, running, testing...only to find out that our dealer no longer services them! Customer support is a JOKE. They refer you to "HomeAdvisor" which hooks you up with a local company whom charges 500.00 just to run a diagnostic with No REPAIR! With many hours spent online with Generac, and on the phone...and in Generac chat still no progress.

When we get a generator repair person, they charge us and say "oh you need an electrician", when we get an electrician they say "you need a generator repair person" and charge us. Hmmm. No. What I need is a generator that works and some type of support. Maybe even a repair person that is honest and can actually Repair the damn thing! Spent 6k purchase, 2k on installation and hard to guess how much on repairs. Buyers Beware. DO NOT BUY GENERAC. Their Generators are the same quality as their service and customer support!!! JUNK. If you need a generator buy something that can be fixed and a company that stands behind their products.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Generac standby generator 12KW/990 HNYWL - After less than 350 hours of operation the engine would start but shut off after only a few seconds. The authorized repair service determined the generator brush holders had failed. An expensive repair was completed and now, a year later, we see the same symptoms again.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I would highly recommend not buying a Generac home standby generator. I bought the 22KW version from Home Depot July 2017. After getting hit by two hurricanes in Puerto Rico, the thing died. Repeated calls to Generac got nowhere, the only response was, "call the authorized dealer". Of which there are very few of in PR, and impossible to get through to after two storms. If I get it fixed myself, it voids the warranty.

So after spending over $10k including installation, I am left with a useless machine in my backyard. At a time when looters and thieves are running wild with no police presence what-so-ever. Power was a matter of security, not just convenience. After calling and waiting in lines for over a month, I finally gave up and hired my own repair guy. 1.5 months and $1500 in repairs later, it's finally working again.

For three weeks. Until my transfer switch fried. Again with the same response from Generac... “it's your problem not ours.” AND again I've been waiting a month trying to get someone "authorized" to fix it. Still no luck and zero help from Generac other than to give me the same list of 5 dealers that supposedly will fix it. So in summary, a Generac generator is a nice decoration for your backyard, but don't ever actually try to use it in an emergency situation. So many of their generators will fail in your area, the authorized repair technicians will be swamped with work for months, that by the time it will be fixed you will no longer need it. But maybe that's by design... really reduces your warranty costs!!!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Unit paid in advance, while waited for needed city permits. Once unit, electrical work & gas lines & tanks installed... Unit to be started up for inspection. Did not work. Burnt bad. 2 months later... bad. Not replaced. Lots of money invested. Generac said not responsible. Ordered new board, cause under warranty!!!!

Generac Power Systems response

Hello,

I am so happy to hear that Generac replaced your unit for you. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

Regards,

Generac

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Went to use my generator for the 3rd time in just over 2 years and the power knob was stuck in the off position. Trying to get it to spin I think I broke it... Anybody else run into this problem? It figures that the machine is only 2 months out of warranty. The new power knob assembly and knob run about $70.00 plus shipping... I'm not a happy camper!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

3 star rating "satisfied with experience" is for the end result achieved, averaging in a 1 star for the Frustration of the hard time being able to warranty service. My experience is best described by the following letter sent to the only authorized dealer that responded in a timely manner - I rate Brad ** & Carolina Generators a 5 Star.

"I had been trying to get an "authorized Generac dealer" to make the warranty service call for 3 or 4 weeks. A week or two ago, I had already completed the Generac survey illustrating my frustration - hadn't heard back from them. When I contacted you, you were immediately responsive, and I am going to report that as a 5 star to Generac, along with a 1 star to all the other 6 or 8 dealers that I had contacted. (In case I don't find them, please send me any and all links that I can rate you and Carolina Generators with a 5 star.)

That being said, yesterday, about noon, I got a call from one of the dealers that I had contacted 2 or 3 weeks ago, saying they could be out that afternoon. While I felt no doubt that you would get to me next week, as you said --- along the lines of "a bird in the hand..." -- I told them to come on out. They did and supposedly completed the repairs needed. I was so impressed with your immediate response and willingness to schedule warranty service soon** that you are on my "list of one" to call for any future warranty Generac work.

** (Especially when compared with the other authorized dealer calls which resulted in my impression that they were not interested in / didn't want to do Generac warranty work and/or didn't want to come to Wilkes County.) Bottom line for this communication is to thank you for your phone and email communications and that, for what was my current need for service, to let you know that you can take my service call off your list to be scheduled."

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

5 month old residential whole house generator has had almost all parts replaced, including 3 new boards. Unit will start very briefly but immediately cuts out. Dealer/installing contractor will no longer return calls and Generac says they will only deal with the contractor. Fed up and seeking legal representation.

Generac Power Systems expert review by ConsumerAffairs

For over 50 years, Generac has been making residential standby generators. Today it also makes portable and industrial generators, fully automatic transfer switches and accessories for backup power applications. Consumers can choose from multiple fuel types for their generators and many different series and models based on their specific needs.

• Generators for homeowners: Generac makes over 40 models of residential generators across six series: The Guardian, Synergy, EcoGen, PowerPact, QuietSource and Protector series. Each model in the homeowner generator category runs on natural gas or liquid propane and sits outside like a typical air conditioning unit. Each model delivers backup power directly to your home’s electrical panel, eliminating the need for extension cords, and runs on your existing natural gas or liquid propane fuel supply so you won’t run out of fuel.

• Generators for business: Generac offers businesses with multiple standby power solutions including gas- and diesel-fueled, bi-fuel and modular power systems. Its single generators offer up to two megawatts of power, while its paralleling systems allow for multiple units to be installed together, offering standby power of up to 7,000 watts.

• Mobile generators: Generac’s line of mobile generators can be fueled by diesel or gas, have a rugged, durable design and come with wheels for easy transportation across multiple types of terrain. Mobile units include generators, light towers, heaters, pumps, water trailers and government/military-used generators, which are customized for remote military locations.

• Mobile remote monitoring: Generac’s residential generators come with Mobile Link remote monitoring. This feature allows you to check your generator's status from your laptop, tablet or smartphone.

• Pricing: Generac has a tool on its website to help you locate the nearest dealer to your location. A dealer's website site generally lists pricing for the models they carry, or you can call for pricing.

• Best for: homeowners or property owners wanting reliable backup power.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs