Generac Power Systems

Compare Generators

Research top Generators recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I spent over 15 thousand dollars on a Generac 27 KW generator. I also spent extra money to obtain an extended warranty. Buyer beware!!! In the three years I have owned this machine, it has broken down twice. I have no issue with something mechanical breaking down.. especially when I have an extended warranty. The problem is Generac's warranty service and their inability to provide replacement parts in a timely fashion. It has been 7 weeks now, and I am still waiting for Generac to supply the warrantied replacement parts for this most recent breakdown.

Six months ago, I got so tired waiting for them to replace a warrantied part (after 4 weeks) that I purchased the part from a commercial vendor and had it in two days. The best part of that fiasco was Generac's refusal to reimburse me for the cost of the part. I was told by their warranty department that I had to receive any part through them in order to satisfy my extended warranty contract's "fine print"! Buyer beware. Generac's warranty and ability to supply replacement parts is a joke. Your expensive machine will sit idle while you wait for someone to do their job.

I have had this generator (Generac mobile 7.5kw) for about 10 years and have never used it. At the start of hurricane season I take it out to check it. This year when I did that it started for about 10 seconds and then died. Each time I started it, it did the same thing. I contacted Generac about it giving model and serial number but they did not recognize it. Even though it was a Generac sticker on the machine, they told me it was a Briggs & Stratton motor and to contact them. When I contacted Briggs & Stratton they did not recognize it either although they had manual on that Model. I think the problem is the low oil switch but without a diagram I don't know what it looks like or where to find it. After reading some of the reviews I think I was lucky not to have to use it at any time. Is this the buy America future?

I saw a commercial advertising the home standby system so I wanted to see what the new phone link technology was about. I'm seeing all these bad reviews. I have had my 12k natural gas home standby system since 2006. Had a regular electrician install the system. We left it at factory setting and didn't do the gas change setting. Unit has worked well, have run for over 12 hours without any problems knock on wood. I really enjoy this back up unit. The only problem noticed with all units is the exploding battery after 2 or 3 years. Don't know if it's the unit or battery.

I was in need of a generator very quickly because of a pending hurricane storm so I went and purchased the Generac Power Systems generator because of recommendations/review online. The generator I purchased has many features including a very easily portable wheelie system along with a very large and suitable gas tank and an electric starter. However the petcock valve on the generator broke very easily and I was left without a generator in the middle of a potentially very dangerous storm. This left me and my family very worried and we were not satisfied with the performance of the generator system.

We purchased Generac because it was a good value for the price. It is small and we only needed it just in case the power goes out. We have been able to power up our refrigerator and a lamp and something else that was small to help us out during the last power outage. We have a small corn burner that we could use if it was cold weather and I think that we did use it with the generator at one time and it worked fine. I like that it is compact and portable and able to use it for several things to power up during a power outage. It is very easy to store away because of its compact size. Inexpensive to buy and works great for the needs that we have.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generac Power Systems?

I selected Generac because it was less costly and more effective than others. I like its cost, quality, brand value, reliability and flexibility. It did meet my initial expectations and I love to have this on. I do not think there is any other better than this.

I selected this brand because it fits w/ what I need it for, I was also able to narrow down what I needed to use it for and was given many choices to choose from by narrowing down certain aspects I desired in a generator. I like that it's for home gatherings and small projects. It has covered outlets in order to protect the outlets from the elements. The wheels never go flat because they are heavy duty and can withstand any terrain. Only thing I dislike is that I didn't buy 2 though.

I purchased this brand because it is reliable and they have great pricing on their products. This brand stood out to me the most when purchasing the generator. I like being able to have a backup unit when the power goes out at my house. And that it is able to hook up many plugs into it. Although it would be amazing if the generator could be a little lighter in weight.

I am writing to inform your customer base of what they should expect if they encounter a problem with their Generac generator. I run a mobile food trailer operation and purchased a Generac generator from a local electrical company (great company by the way) in July of 2016. In October of 2016 the generator failed me and the owner of the electrical company personally picked up the generator from my location and took it directly to a certified Generac repair shop. Since October of 2016 I have been renting a generator to run my business and the costs of these rentals have almost surpassed the $2,600 that I paid for the Generac generator initially and I still do not have my unit back...

Today's date is 7-11-17. I have made numerous calls to the repair shop and they have tried multiple times to fix the unit, but they cannot figure out what the problem is. I have contacted the Generac "customer service" department in Wisconsin and the only thing the lady said they could do for me is make sure the unit gets fixed quickly... ridiculous. The lady refused to give me my money back or be willing to reimburse the significant costs I have incurred renting a unit. I trusted #Generac with powering my operation and I have never been so disappointed in my professional career. I have not had the generator for 9 of the 12 MONTHS I have owned it and the best answer I can get from them is nothing more than run around B.S.

I will be posting on all social media outlets the disappointing story of my experience with Generac generators until I receive my money back for your unreliable piece of equipment and terrible customer service. Please feel free to contact me with your response, but until I receive a check for my full reimbursement I will make it my purpose in life to inform the world of your pathetic commitment to standing behind your products! #generacsucks

Before I bought this generator I did my research online and read reviews and got quotes. Then I went to the store to get a better look at my options. I ended up buying this one because I only needed it for a few items whenever the power went out. This generator is not as big as the others but it will do the trick to power up enough household items during a power outage. I have the lighting and garage door and boiler and also fridge being powered by the generator during power outage. The generator is good for the price but I had issues with my first order and it was moving a filter and parts were damaged. Items need to be inspected more carefully, but their customer response was great and I was able to replace it all with no additional cost.

A friend recommended Generac and it was in my price range. It did meet my expectations and I was very happy about that. I like that it is handy and works well. It has never failed me and I have needed it many times. Also there are many features that are very easy to use. The functions and features are easy to understand. I would recommend this generator if you want a simple experience.

I purchased this brand after reading reviews and checking out other generator. It runs pretty quiet. Had power outage and had electrician hook up to the refrigerator and garage door. It's not the largest but it can handle every necessary need when there is an outage. The oil change and maintenance is easy to do and straightforward. The instructions are written clearly with diagrams. But I had an issue with it not starting and during the test it showed stopped alarm overcrank notice. The installer found that the unit shipped without the filter and that was easily fixed. Overall this was the best price for the quality I needed without breaking the bank. It's good to go into the store and check out the product before the purchase and look up all your options.

Generac Power Systems came highly recommended from friends and family and I just went in the store and bought it. It's fume free, stays outside my home and works for a long time plus also powers almost the entire house. I am overall happy and satisfied with the product I paid for.

I purchased a generator that failed within the first four hours of operation. I took the generator to Aspen Leaf (the Generac qualified service and warranty technician) and I was informed that "there was a fuel issue that wasn't covered under warranty). Aspen Leaf could not provide me details on "the fuel issue" or the reason that it caused the failure. When I attempted to contact Generac I was put on hold, after several attempts could not reach a customer service representative. What does it take to get this company investigated! Aspen Leaf is either complicit in the fraud or they should fight for customer satisfaction!

Have bought a generator and powerwasher from Generac and they have the worst customer experience I have ever encountered. My PowerWasher broke after 3 months and they won't service it. Been on the phone with them multiple times the past several days for hours and they do not help. They lie and say I have to call the corporate office but refuse to give out a number. Horrible customer service. Will never buy another Generac product.

I bought a home with a Generac 15kW guardian genset already professionally installed. So, it's a 2006, and now 10 years old. We have lived here now 5 years, and besides the weekly 15 minute test run, it's only turned on once with a live power failure. I service the unit myself, replace the battery once, oil changes with M1, and even put on a cold start kit, not cheap.

Last week I notice the red light on, indicating low oil. Yeah, it's at the bottom line, something to do with a crankcase that now has a hole in it, due to a piston rod failure. Oil sprayed out of the hole during its death throes. This is the 990cc Generac sourced motor with propane power. It's a catastrophic loss. A large, heavy piece of junk. I do have the original owner receipt, luckily not me.

I started shopping around at Home Depot and Lowes looking for a portable and light-weight generator for an excellent price. There are a few features I like about my new generator which is the ease of portability and how light it is. I also like the regular prong plugs on the side of the generator. But one thing I would like to see improved on my new Generac Generator is to increase the amount of regular prong plugs on the side along a USB charging port.

We purchased our 15 kw ecogen generator a little over 2 years ago. Ecogen techs installed it. It failed in 2 hours. It took a couple weeks to get a tech out here. Closest tech over 100 miles away. After a couple visits they decided it needed to be replaced. The new one worked fine until our solar failed. When we tried to use it the generator failed again. After 2 weeks we got a tech out. He found the problem but had to order the part. A circuit board in a box that had to be replaced. It's happened twice since. Each time when we needed it when our solar failed. Now it's out of warranty and failed again. Same problem again. This generator is useless off grid.

I selected this particular brand because I did some research on these generators and I found this one brand to be the best and that it was one that could sustain through all types of situations that may occur through storms. I like how easy it is to program and to hook up and how easily kicks on when the power goes out in the house and how much power it has and also how long it last. It works exactly the way I need it to work. Strong and consistent and able to hold power.

I like the fact that it works fundamentally with outages, easy to use due to propane, turns on with ease, long lasting, reliable, consistent, etc. It has served its purpose thus far and in retrospect goes above and beyond. Also, purchasing it was a pretty fluid process. First I asked friends which brands they would recommend, then did some online research and also asked professionals about it. From there that is when decisions were made and ultimately it seemed pretty universal that Generac was the correct brand to choose.

I select because was the size I need and it fits in all my tents that I have. I'm very stratified with this product. I will buy more of them from this company. I have been using mine for while and it held up to what I need it to do. I can take it anywhere. It has different setting. It keeps my family warm when we're outside and it can't be knocked over. When it knocked over it shuts off. I love love love that fact so my tent cant burn down. I like that it portable and comes in my favorite color. I really enjoy taking it on my camping trips. However, I would like to see some in ports in it to charge cellphone, mp3. I think that would be very interesting to see in one of these.

I bought my Generac generator mostly because Generac is known to be the very best generator on the market. It also had all of these features I was looking for as well as an extensive warranty. It is the best in the industry, no doubt. I like that it comes on automatically in case of a power failure and it has a warning audio signal to tell me when it is running low on fuel and also gives me maintenance warnings as well. The only thing I can think of that would improve my Generac generator would be if it would put the fuel cans in my truck, go up to the gas station, purchase fuel and come back and put it in the generator for me.

The purchasing process was easy. I went online to research and chose the right kind and select it and bought it. I look at major stores like lowes.com and many more. My Generac generator helps me use my lights at night especially when I go on long trips. My family loves to camp and fish and hunt so when it gets dark outside I can charge my lanterns and digital devices. However, I would like a smaller generator design for certain task. Not so bulky and easy to handle which I can take it anywhere. I like the most newer models at major stores.

We research and price different brands and models for about 2 months before making a purchase. Most of the ones we research were very expensive, too large and we didn't need all of the output that was available. In the end after reading numerous review we landed on this perfect Generac. We bought what we thought was this smaller sized generator to have just in case, however after a bad patch of weather lasting about 4 days we really had to use it a lot, it worked perfectly. It was great on gas, powered all the sources that we needed, ran continuously, wasn't loud or off putting, and for the price we paid, we were elated. But it could have probably used some bigger wheels, although we didn't need to move it off of our driveway, it seems that it would have some trouble moving over rough terrain. Also if we chose to carry it I would have extended the cradle arms to make it more convenient to carry.

Generac offers all the features I wanted and more. It has a 6,500-watts of power, 389cc OHV engine, has a sturdy portable steel frame with wheels, has a steel fuel tank, four 120-volt outlets, easy to start, uses minimum amount of gas to run for hours. The price was very reasonable for what I got, as is it's power, it portable which was important to me. Quality brand name. It was recommended by a family member who owns one and loves it enough to suggest I purchase one.

I like that Generac Power Systems is simple. It covers the entire home and extra power is available if needed, not that expensive. It is reliable, runs on natural gas and has a permanent tie in to the home's power system. Easily installed, simple to operate, does not need maintenance very often and is covered by a great warranty. I have relatives that have the same units and love the simple set up and automatic start system, easy to maintain. Best brand for the money I invested

I have had the unit since 2009 and have not had any problems. Have done routine maintenance like changing oil and filters but have not adjusted valve clearance on the engine. Recently noticed the smell of gas and in doing some online research it may be the fuel regulator. At the time of purchase I paid $25 for the diagnostic repair manual which is about 1/2" thick. Nowhere in this manual is a list of parts!

I did an online request for a parts diagram and it was just a 2 page affair with drawings and part numbers for the power head. There is a line that would connect to the fuel regulator on another drawing for the control system. I called and asked for that diagram and they were unable to find and supply the drawings and parts list for the rest of the unit. This is an absurdity if you are dealing directly with the manufacturer. I prefer to do my own work but now I am forced to seek the services of a Generac dealer and pay a substantial price.

It's pretty modern and easy to use. It had easy to grip handles and wheels for easy mobility. It's probably a good choice. I have no regrets so far. I'd get 2 or 3 more if I could. It met my expectations, I chose it because a friend of mine recommended it. We had a bad storm down here in the south that knocked everyone's power out. All except those who had generators. If it had a bigger gas tank it would be a lot better. Other than that I'm completely satisfied with what it does and its features. Everyone should invest in one of these if they haven't already.

Fairway Suites purchased a 100 kW generator for standby purposes. The unit never ran on demand. Within one year it threw a piston during its weekly maintenance run. We called Generac and were told it was not under warranty because the oil needed to be changed because it breaks down in less than a year. These people are idiots. It took almost a month to hear from anyone and it wasn't until I posted pictures on their website that I got a response. Generac is a fraud and worthless company.

XG8000E - This was the third Generac we had fly into pieces. Each of the previous units' catastrophic failure was blamed on the operating conditions the generator was running in. This time we bought a Premo unit, housed it in an environmentally controlled area, and still had a catastrophic engine failure after 300 running hours. Generac was no help as in the previous failings. In this case, the low oil shutdown failed to terminate operations after the oil filter vibrated loose and hemorrhaged oil. Generac's answer was that the shutdown function did operate because there was oil in the crankcase, just none reaching the cylinder. They offered to pay for the connecting rod ($20) provided I pay the 6 hours ($600) labor at a certified Generac repair facility. 3rd time is the charm, I will never own a Generac again.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

For over 50 years, Generac has been making residential standby generators. Today it also makes portable and industrial generators, fully automatic transfer switches and accessories for backup power applications. Consumers can choose from multiple fuel types for their generators and many different series and models based on their specific needs.

• Generators for homeowners: Generac makes over 40 models of residential generators across six series: The Guardian, Synergy, EcoGen, PowerPact, QuietSource and Protector series. Each model in the homeowner generator category runs on natural gas or liquid propane and sits outside like a typical air conditioning unit. Each model delivers backup power directly to your home’s electrical panel, eliminating the need for extension cords, and runs on your existing natural gas or liquid propane fuel supply so you won’t run out of fuel.
  • Generators for business: Generac offers businesses with multiple standby power solutions including gas- and diesel-fueled, bi-fuel and modular power systems. Its single generators offer up to two megawatts of power, while its paralleling systems allow for multiple units to be installed together, offering standby power of up to 7,000 watts.
  • Mobile generators: Generac’s line of mobile generators can be fueled by diesel or gas, have a rugged, durable design and come with wheels for easy transportation across multiple types of terrain. Mobile units include generators, light towers, heaters, pumps, water trailers and government/military-used generators, which are customized for remote military locations.
  • Mobile remote monitoring: Generac’s residential generators come with Mobile Link remote monitoring. This feature allows you to check your generator's status from your laptop, tablet or smartphone.
  • Pricing: Generac has a tool on its website to help you locate the nearest dealer to your location. A dealer's website site generally lists pricing for the models they carry, or you can call for pricing.
  • Best for homeowners or property owners wanting reliable backup power.

Compare Generators