Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

217 Generac Power Systems Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

My power has been out for 5 days but I am warm and comfortable because of my Generac! Very dependable! I have 7 cats, one bunny, eight finches, eight ducks and two chickens that are also not suffering because we bought a Generac! :) Worth every dollar spent!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I had a 20 KW Generac Synergy model installed this summer (June 2018). I chose the Synergy model after reading that it would be quieter running and save fuel due to the capability of varying the running speed due to the load required. I live in Central Virginia about 40 miles southwest of Richmond. We lost power for the first time during Hurricane Michael for four days (90 hours) and it never missed a beat. I was without power for 5 seconds while the transfer switch turned power on from the generator and that was it. A few weeks later the power was out for about 8 hours. Again, after 5 seconds my generator supplied my power needs flawlessly. We had one other 5-minute outage and the system performed the same.

Total outages so far 98 hours and five minutes. Time spent without power for these three outages totaled 15 seconds. As per the claim about lesser fuel costs for LP gas used, I’m not sure what the Guardian Series uses but I was very pleased with my fuel consumption with the Synergy. I had my tank refilled to replace what was used out of curiosity. I deducted the amount of fuel I estimate that I used to cook with and was very happy with what I used during the outages for powering the house. It was about half of what I expected it to cost.

As for the noise factor, I’m very happy. My unit is just outside of my living room wall virtually 8 to 10 feet from where I sit when watching television. The sound is a comfortable level and not an annoyance at all. I cannot hear it when I move to the other side of the house and it transferred the power back to commercial feed without me hearing it turn off once because of the lower sound threshold causing me not to even notice. I am only 5 month into ownership but the 90 hours of use is a good test and I hope it is a good omen on how it will perform in the future. I will definitely give a report if something bad happens moving forward. So far 2 thumbs up on the Synergy.

Generac Power Systems response

Hello Russ,

thank you so much for taking the time to provide the positive feedback. We are happy to hear that you and your family remained safe through the hurricane!
Regards,

Generac

Get expert buying tips about Generators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I had the unit installed professionally by Billy ** of CT. The unit was installed on a 3’ high brick based along with the Generac provided base in order to have the unit off the ground during snow storms. Me ** maintained the unit for the 1st two years without any incidents. I continued to maintain it yearly by changing the oil, oil & air filter on a yearly basis. At 25+ hours of runtime the valves were checked & the spark plugs were changed. The unit has 38 runtime hours at this time & has run flawlessly. I am thankfully pleased with the performance of the unit. The only complaint that I have is that I can’t schedule the unit to test run for more than 5 minutes, & I must manually turn it on for additional minutes to ensure the proper heating up of the oil.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I read several reviews on this site for Generac and most are not positive. This is not my experience. I bought a Generac 22KW generator and had it professionally installed by Cape Fear Generators. I also have a service contract with them. I have only had one issue and that was with the switchgear. It went out on the first time the generator was used. Cape Fear came out that night and repaired it. # years later, it has worked flawlessly through two hurricanes. Mathew and Florence. Mathew it ran for 13 hours and powered my house perfectly. Florence, it ran for almost 4 days with the same result. I have no complaint with Generac other than the constant emails and mailers for an extended warranty. I get one or two a month. And I have no complaint with Cape Fear Generators (The Authorized Installer). It's my experienced that both are top notch companies.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

Less than a year after installation of my home generator I had the local dealer service it to be sure it was working before hurricane season started. The serviceman discovered that the battery charger circuit board was not working. He ordered a replacement and told me it should be covered under warranty. A few weeks later I received a bill for over $600.00 from the dealer. They said that the warranty claim was denied.

I contacted Generac and was told that there were “bugs” in the board and that the warranty didn’t cover insect damage. I requested that they return the damaged board to me, but they never responded. I saw the board when it was removed and there was no visible damage. I’m sure the only “bugs” were electronic bugs, not insects. Several months after I ordered the generator and before it was delivered, my home was hit by a hurricane. Power was out for ten days. My neighbors Generac Generator failed after the first few days. I should have tried to cancel my order at that point but the dealer was not responding to my calls. It took over a year to get the generator installed. I don’t know if that problem was with the dealer or Generac. I do not recommend Generac products.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generac Power Systems?

Original review: July 9, 2019

I sent in a request for a price on a home generator through Generac’s website and was quickly contacted by two local dealers. First one commented on what an easy job it would be but then gave an installation charge of $3400.00. The second dealer was within the price range I had been told to expect, by family and friends who had also purchased a Generac generator so I signed an agreement with him. He required payment for the generator, $4500, before he would order the generator so I wrote him out a check. It has been a nightmare ever since.

Not only does this dealer not return calls, but he has said on 3 different occasions via text that he would be out to install but then doesn’t show or call. It has been 4 months since I paid for the generator. I did a google search to see if anyone else has had issues and discovered that this dealer is a registered sex offender. I have contacted Generac and they say they can’t do anything about it. My agreement is with the dealer, not them. They may be good generators but be careful when doing business with this company because you're on your own if any issues with the dealer THEY send to your home. Very dissatisfied consumer.

Original review: June 21, 2019

COST OF PARTS RIDICULOUS 6500. Stator shorted out--cost of new stator exceeds cost of new generator!! Go figure. Motor runs well--will not make electricity----what a great how do you do!! On a cattle farm in Virginia--need power when the lights go out--will I spend more money with Generac?

Original review: June 21, 2019

I bought a large Generac natural gas fueled generator to power my entire home in 2009. It has been one problem after another since installation. The local distributor service techs charged me a lot of money for their service and many times had to come back and fix the same issue they thought they fixed the time before. The generator dealer for Generac that I bought the unit from out of Marion, Ohio in 2010 went out of business in 2013. I do not have the service records during that period of time. I know there were several. Since 2013, I have had 17 issues that needed addressed by service techs. When I called the main office of Generac in 2018 and asked for some relief on the purchase of a replacement generator as the one I owned was clearly a lemon, they said simply that "it is out of warrant." I would never buy one of their products again and would urge those reading this post to shop around.

Original review: June 21, 2019

PSA if you are looking for a backup generator for your home, Generac is a fraudulent company. I purchased a generator back in March and they still haven’t installed it. I have received texts every other week pushing the install back. I had no choice on the licensed dealer that they sent out. He signed me up for the credit card. I’ve made 3 payments and they have installed the concrete pad, the gas line, the panel and they still haven’t installed the unit. This dealer has 2 BBB claims. Generac has done nothing to help they said they would call him and haven’t solved it or refunded me. I have been patient with this process for months but enough is enough. Please don’t make the mistake I made and buy a generator from them for your home. Please share this. Oh and they just took their website down.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I purchased my Generac Synergy generator in 2015. Luckily I have not had to use the generator often. When I have had power losses, the generator operates terribly. It is suppose to adjust its speed to match the electric load needed in the home. Whenever a major appliance comes on in the house, all the lights flicker, other appliances shutter (like refrigerators, A/C units, etc.), then the generator accelerates and everything brightens again. This certainly isn't good for all the electrical appliances in the house, especially those with compressors. I've had the unit checked twice and it continues to operate the same. I have the 5 year warranty but have little hope that they will correct this thing before the warranty runs out.

Generac Power Systems expert review by ConsumerAffairs

For over 50 years, Generac has been making residential standby generators. Today it also makes portable and industrial generators, fully automatic transfer switches and accessories for backup power applications. Consumers can choose from multiple fuel types for their generators and many different series and models based on their specific needs.

• Generators for homeowners: Generac makes over 40 models of residential generators across six series: The Guardian, Synergy, EcoGen, PowerPact, QuietSource and Protector series. Each model in the homeowner generator category runs on natural gas or liquid propane and sits outside like a typical air conditioning unit. Each model delivers backup power directly to your home’s electrical panel, eliminating the need for extension cords, and runs on your existing natural gas or liquid propane fuel supply so you won’t run out of fuel.

• Generators for business: Generac offers businesses with multiple standby power solutions including gas- and diesel-fueled, bi-fuel and modular power systems. Its single generators offer up to two megawatts of power, while its paralleling systems allow for multiple units to be installed together, offering standby power of up to 7,000 watts.

• Mobile generators: Generac’s line of mobile generators can be fueled by diesel or gas, have a rugged, durable design and come with wheels for easy transportation across multiple types of terrain. Mobile units include generators, light towers, heaters, pumps, water trailers and government/military-used generators, which are customized for remote military locations.

• Mobile remote monitoring: Generac’s residential generators come with Mobile Link remote monitoring. This feature allows you to check your generator's status from your laptop, tablet or smartphone.

• Pricing: Generac has a tool on its website to help you locate the nearest dealer to your location. A dealer's website site generally lists pricing for the models they carry, or you can call for pricing.

• Best for: homeowners or property owners wanting reliable backup power.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs