3.5/5 (291 ratings)

About Generac Power Systems

Generac Power Systems Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generac Power Systems?

Resolution response: Jan. 17, 2023

I had contacted Generac myself concerned that my issue wasn’t getting resolved. I spoke with Mike from the consumer experience department who was professional and he contacted the dealer for a long discussion and followed up with me the next day. It turns out the ordered parts had arrived.

The technician came and this one quickly discovered that the problem was not the starter as initially thought but simply corroded contacts on the battery. Replacing the battery and contact wires was all that was needed to restore the generator to normal.

I was content with my direct contact with customer service and my dealer/service company who apologized for the initial misdiagnosis which left me without protection for almost 3 months. Fortunately there were no power losses during the period. Accordingly I have revised my rating back to full for good response and resolution.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

Forget the large investment installing this generator. Forget the 7 year warranty that my 2018 purchase has. In October 2022 my generator stopped working. “RPM Sensor Loss.” My installer came immediately to investigate to make a diagnosis. Parts were ordered but no parts received. Generac is still pumping out whole generators but Generac is not providing replacement parts to their generators. What is the point of my investment and annual servicing and paying for the Mobile Link monitoring app and my generator has been a brick for almost three months. If the power goes out, my house goes cold.

Generac should stop those lying commercials and invest in their customers. Until October 2022 I had no generator issues. I was a happy customer. But now that it’s broken with no explanation from the company, I can no longer recommend this product until they get their act together. There simply is no excuse. If there are more reliable generator companies out there I suggest using them. It’s too late for me.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

Paid mega thousands (half of our retirement) to get solar panels. Just over a year later we had a cold snap and the batteries quit working. Have called Generac multiple times. They have tried to reset the batteries multiple times. It works for a minute or 2 and then stops. They have provided me with names of companies to call, which I did. They either only work on generators (yes, they're on the clean energy list, which Generac claims ONLY those on the list work ONLY on solar panels. NOT TRUE), don't answer their phone, have had at least 2 hang up before saying a word, and the one they continue to recommend has a mailbox that is full-will not answer emails-will not answer Facebook messages.

They insist I call this one company and I could not get it through her head THEY CAN'T BE REACHED. I have not been assigned to any company that has taken over for now defunct Pink Energy. They cannot tell me when I will be assigned, that they have multiple consumers with multiple issues. So this tells me that Generac batteries suck and I am advising EVERYONE I know DO NOT GET HOME SOLAR PANELS. We've lost our retirement on these useless bricks plastered on the side of our home, making our home hideous. They are NOT backing up their product and NOT taking care of their customers after bilking them for nearly $100,000 in panels that do not work.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2022

Purchased this solar system at an obviously inflated cost from Powerhome Solar (later Pink and later bankrupt) that was made of Generac equipment except panels themselves in May 21 and finally had installed and kind of operational in October 21. Was touted as being able to power my home primarily from solar, and totally reduce my electric bill, as well as be able to operate fully in power outage when "islanded". Kind of figured that was mostly **, but needed an alternate source for power outages and preferred this to generators.

Installation was a joke to begin with, as I was providing equipment and my own expertise all three days they were here (Only supposed to be 2). Never was limitations of Pwrcell battery module discussed and since it was mounted in an outdoor cabinet and literature at the time indicated operating temperature down to around 12 degrees F. Ok, so that was like 4th or 5th blatant lie from Generac pamphlets, etc. In any case, AT MY OWN cost I will have to make the correct repairs to this POS junk system to even come close to being able to operate reasonably. Being an engineer I fully understand environmental issues for batteries, but I also source Li-on batteries for applications that operate in extreme temps, so I know they are capable and will work, and quite frankly, my RV batteries for solar (which sit in an uninsulated bay) operated quite well down to -7 degrees.

My theory is that GENERAC controls this setting to keep customers dependent, but either way after a long term outage (13 hours) my batteries were depleted and have not charged again due to low temps I am told every time I call (even though my outdoor ambient temps here have been near 60 several days in a row). I have no backup at this point if power goes out. Definitely WILL NOT recommend Generac to anyone else, and as soon as I can afford to junk the $70K system -- I will and will be investing in a true solar company that cares about customer service, has a truly tested product and cares about their name.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2022

We have a Generac Guardian 22K Stand By Generator with Automatic Transfer Switch that was installed in March 2021 and had annual service provided in March 2022. This thing runs every Wednesday for a few minutes as part of their service plan. BUT, on December 23, 2022, we had a power failure and the unit could not start. I could hear trying to start 3 or 4 times but never did. This was in the middle of the country wide cold spell and the temperature was 4 degrees. The service department for the installer was closed due to the holidays. the service manager was supposed to call back. Not heard from him.

Called Generac but put on hold fort an extended period of time but hung up when the utility came back on. My advice to you if your area gets cold DO NOT PURCHASE A GENERAC GENERAC. They only seem to start in the milder temperatures. I am now sorry I spent that much money for such poor performance. I have a gasoline Honda portable generator that started right up.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2022

I purchased a 30KW generator from Power Equipment Direct in Feb. 2021. I received the generator 02/28/2022 leaking oil from the oil pan. Oil was all over the pallet it came on. Call Generac so they can have someone come out and fix the generator. A guy name Jake from Generator Super Center came out and said the oil pan was leaking and generac will take care of it. Called Jake to find out about the oil pan and he said generac won't fix it. They said it's a shipping problem. So I called generac myself.

I talked to Debbie one time, talked to Nicl one time, talked to Rosetta one time, talked to Shelby one time, and talked to Angelia one time. The guy Jake at Generac Super Center and I talked to another who agreed to send the pan and fix it. Called Jake and he said the pan came, went to the wrong place, he sign the slip so they can drop it off. Tried to call Jake back about 5 times but he decided not to answer no more calls from me about the problem. So I decided to call generac super center at a different number and talked to this guy Matt. Matt talks to Jake and Matt gets the pan in. Matt calls me to let me know the pan is in and he's talking to generac to get the approval to install the pan. Matt calls me to tell me that generac says for me to go after the shipping company. After I was told by generac that they will take care of it.

So I decided to call the place I purchased the generator from. It gets better. Called Power Equipment Direct and talk to Mike. He said he was call his rep. to find out what's going on. After talking to Mike the lady from generac name Marilyn sends me an email and says she's from the resolution department and she was assigned to escalated the case. Escalate to her means no more conversation. I've tried to call her 4 times and got no answer and no call back. Sent her an email to get no response. I call the Mike guy back to let him know I want to return the generator and say he can not take it back.

So the bad service is not only generac but it's the stores that sell they product. Generac, Power Equipment Direct, and Generac Super Center. I'm surprise about the level of customer service I received. Today 12/12/2022 I'm paying Matt at generator super center to install the oil pan. And trust me, he made sure he had my credit number before he sent the guy out. I'll never purchase a generac generator again and I promise to tell everyone that will listen about what happened to me.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2022

I bought a General Synergy 20,000 watt whole house generator. It was supposed to be better than other Generac Generators since it had variable RPMs and ran at an RPM based on the load so it was more economical as it was not designed to run at full speed if that was not called for by the load at any given time. I had an electrician who had done over 10 Generac installs, install mine. It never worked but would run without any load as it ran weekly for 5 minutes just to keep it running (helped keep the battery charged).

I had a Generac technician come and check it out and it still didn't run. After the second time he told me the Synergy models were crap and they discontinued making them. I called the company and they said that the Synergy units were fine and they had simply discontinued them for other reasons. The tech guy was supposed to come last year but never showed so I had my installer back and he said when he tested it the unit would not carry a load. Error message was the same. Seems the armature was not working properly to carry any load. A new armature was $1200.00 but I don't want to spend the money on something that might never run anyway. So it sits there as a proposed boat anchor!! That is about the only good it is now. In 6 years it hasn't used $50.00 dollars worth of propane. Saved me a lot of money!!! Piece of crap and dismal service.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2022

As I write this review, all the PV panels on my roof are off-line. Why, because of PVRSS lock-out errors: aka, the SNAP problem. Since, March of 2022, the system has been off-line more often than not. Generac keeps resetting the system remotely, and promising a real fix. First, they blamed faulty installation, then finally admitted the RS801 SNAP units were defective. After, my system was upgraded with the "new and improved" RS802 SNAP units, then they blamed faulty software. So far, nothing they have done has fixed my system.

Generac's custom service has been a major disappointment. They alternate between blaming anyone and everyone else, or acknowledging there "might" a defect in the system with a "possible" fix in the development. On any given day, the answer you get depends on who answers call or email. They still have not issued any kind of formal statement. Bottom line, we have a >$35K solar system with battery back-up, that cannot reliably produce electrical power or perform its primary mission of providing emergency back-up power - without the PV panels on-line, it can't even attempt to keep the batteries charged after the lost of utility power.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

Bought it brand new in 2018. Used it for the first time 3 weeks ago. Exhaust issues and motor locked up. Can't get no explanation on nothing. Got it as a gift. How can something so new and barely used just break like that. I was considering a home stand by but having second thoughts about it.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

Purchased a portable generator that had an engine failure occur, through no fault of my own. The unit is approximately 3 months out of warranty, but only has 31.4 hours on it. The first rep. I spoke with, advised me that he would forward to the case review dept. and provided contact info for a local dealer to come and diagnose the unit. The dealer’s diagnosis was done and an email was forwarded to the company with the info. Generac’s rep. failed to follow-up with me after a few weeks. I contacted them again, to find out that this rep. no longer worked with the company.

I spoke with a new rep…this one was better with responding to my emails, at first…then left me hanging for weeks with no response. I spoke with another rep. who now advised me that because the unit is out of warranty, they won’t cover anything. I’m stuck with a $3200 piece of scrap metal that was hardly used, only a few months out of warranty, and received conflicting info from Generac’s customer service team. Generac does not stand by their products. Generators should perform for thousands of hours with proper maintenance… Unless it’s a Generac brand unit. Then the thousands of dollars spent apparently only guarantees one 30 hours of operation. Do better, Generac… This entire situation is unacceptable.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2022

I am writing this review hoping that will help people to think twice before purchasing any Generac Solar/Power Cell. 2 years ago I was sold on this by Zenernet (they went out of business) being the best when comes to solar, I have invested 75k in the system that includes 38 panels, Generac inverter and Generac Battery/PowerCell.

As soon as they turned the system on we start having errors. Zenernet came back over and over again, the issues never been fixed blaming it on Generac. Most recently Generac had a recall on their PV Links, Zenernet come over, changed them all with SnapRS/RS 802, the problem supposed to be fixed based on what they told me, well right now my solar production went down to almost nothing, thanks Generac. Problem fixed. As off today I am sitting here with 75k system that's not performing. Bleeding money to PG&E. What I am thinking is to remove the crappy Generac system and send it over to their office and upgrade to something that really works. Please read this and avoid Generac at any cost, there are many better options than this, save your time and mental health.

Generac Power Systems author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

For over 50 years, Generac has been making residential standby generators. Today it also makes portable and industrial generators, fully automatic transfer switches and accessories for backup power applications. Consumers can choose from multiple fuel types for their generators and many different series and models based on their specific needs.

• Generators for homeowners: Generac makes over 40 models of residential generators across six series: The Guardian, Synergy, EcoGen, PowerPact, QuietSource and Protector series. Each model in the homeowner generator category runs on natural gas or liquid propane and sits outside like a typical air conditioning unit. Each model delivers backup power directly to your home’s electrical panel, eliminating the need for extension cords, and runs on your existing natural gas or liquid propane fuel supply so you won’t run out of fuel.

• Generators for business: Generac offers businesses with multiple standby power solutions including gas- and diesel-fueled, bi-fuel and modular power systems. Its single generators offer up to two megawatts of power, while its paralleling systems allow for multiple units to be installed together, offering standby power of up to 7,000 watts.

• Mobile generators: Generac’s line of mobile generators can be fueled by diesel or gas, have a rugged, durable design and come with wheels for easy transportation across multiple types of terrain. Mobile units include generators, light towers, heaters, pumps, water trailers and government/military-used generators, which are customized for remote military locations.

• Mobile remote monitoring: Generac’s residential generators come with Mobile Link remote monitoring. This feature allows you to check your generator's status from your laptop, tablet or smartphone.

• Pricing: Generac has a tool on its website to help you locate the nearest dealer to your location. A dealer's website site generally lists pricing for the models they carry, or you can call for pricing.

Generac Power Systems Company Information