1.55/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

180 Generac Power Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I imagined myself Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau as this was happening: Brand new, out of the box. I assembled the frame and followed the directions exactly. The generator ran for 3 minutes before stalling without warning and refusing to restart. I attempted to restart it for about an hour to no avail. Being a pull start, I was exhausted so I decided to call it a night. I tried to turn the fuel cutoff switch to 'off'. While doing so, the switch handle broke off in my hand. I woke up the next day to a puddle of fuel beneath the generator from a leaky fuel line. I replaced a fuel line clamp and attempted to restart the unit. However the lever for the choke was jammed in the 'off' position. After some coaxing I was able to free the choke up, and on only the 36th pull it roared into life.

Once idling, the carburetor began spewing gasoline on the floor. No, no, no, not from the fuel line this time, from the cracked carburetor housing! So, I quickly shut the unit off before it ignited the fuel pool, as fuel was also getting on the exhaust. Because the cutoff valve switch was broken, I had to use vise-grips to clamp the fuel line shut to prevent 5 gallons of fuel ending up on my floor. (Brand... New... Generator.) Generac, to my estimation, is a collection of randomly assembled garbage. The Chinese motor is more than just inferior, it's dangerous. Pot metal is used on critical parts. A new replacement factory carburetor is only $17 which tells you all you need to know. Save yourself the pain, spend some real $ and go buy ANYTHING else.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I bought a Generac generator two months ago. I had a reputable Generac authorized dealer electric company license (Mathers Electric in Tallahassee Florida) and insured to install it. The generator didn't work correctly from day one. I've had nothing but problems with it. It didn't even pass the state home inspection right after it was installed. The same day it was installed, the electricians couldn't even get the Wi-Fi to work. I had to wait 2 weeks for them to come back and they said the reason it didn't work was because of serial numbers on the generator didn't match up with what the actual serial numbers on the generator. The electrician had to call Generac to get the correct serial numbers. We had a hurricane two weeks ago and Generator worked for two days and quit. I got a lemon is what I believe has happened.

When I start it, it will work for a day or so and during that day or so the lights will flicker completely off and then come back on the generator will rev down and then right back up like a power surge. It happens two or three times an hour and then eventually the generator just dies. When I first bought the generator you're supposed to let it run for 25 hours and then have the Electricians come out and change the oil. I did that. The oil was changed 2 weeks prior to the hurricane. The generator people came out and decided that the generators problem was low on oil. It was. In two days of running the generator, it burned a quart and a half of oil. There is no reason why it burn that much. I ran the generator after they "fixed it" and still the lights are flickering on and off and the generator is revving up and down.

I lost everything in the freezer. I have used an extra propane trying to test the generator out and figure out what's wrong with it. Generac does not want to do anything about it because the generator is running even though it isn't running correctly with the lights and power flickering and the generating shutting down after running it a few hours. My advice is, think twice before buying Generac. They are suppose to be a good company but they haven't shown me that they stand behind their warranties. They haven't honored their warranty on my generator.

Get expert buying tips about Generators delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I spent the last of my savings for a generator because we live in Florida and we keep having a lot of hurricanes. There are two elderly people that live in my house and they have to have power for their medical needs. The generator didn't work from day one. The generator would not start when we had to start it during a hurricane. I am elderly and I was out there on a ladder and 60 mile an hour winds trying to get it started because we didn't have any power. After calling Generac and trying to get it fixed and they sent out their representative to fix it but they say it works but we're still having power surges where it will power up and and then power down with the lights going out and then the generator come back on again it's not working like it's supposed to.

We lost everything in our freezers and we have went through more propane so their workers can sit there and let it start up and let it run. They don't know what's wrong with it so they can't fix it or diagnose it. Generac says that sense of generator still running even though it doesn't run incorrectly that they won't do anything to make it right. I wish I had bought a generator from anybody but them. I don't recommend Generac.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I had the unit installed professionally by Billy ** of CT. The unit was installed on a 3’ high brick based along with the Generac provided base in order to have the unit off the ground during snow storms. Me ** maintained the unit for the 1st two years without any incidents. I continued to maintain it yearly by changing the oil, oil & air filter on a yearly basis. At 25+ hours of runtime the valves were checked & the spark plugs were changed. The unit has 38 runtime hours at this time & has run flawlessly. I am thankfully pleased with the performance of the unit. The only complaint that I have is that I can’t schedule the unit to test run for more than 5 minutes, & I must manually turn it on for additional minutes to ensure the proper heating up of the oil.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I purchased this unit in 2009. Very few hours on it. Last couple years it has struggled to start on the weekly run. “Stopped overcrank errors” being the most common. Summer of 2017 I replaced the battery and plugs, worked fine till December then the same issues. I just had the yearly maintenance done in July, still won’t start most weeks, I talked to a dealer today, he says the 8kw has been nothing but trouble and Generac has discontinued them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generac Power Systems?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

DO NOT BUY THIS GENERATOR. I had installed a 20KW whole house generator with a 3-year warranty. In its 4th year it suffered a catastrophic failure of the stator and control module (computer). It cost $1,500 to repair, 1/3 the cost of the unit. I asked the techs if this had an hour meter, which it did, and it showed that, over 4 years, it had run a total of 228 hours-9 1/2 days. To add insult to injury, at that time they were advertising new generators with 10-year warranties. They would not warranty this work. This is junk. If you could give minus stars I would.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Based on a free extended 10-year warranty, bought a 22kw standby generator from my local Generac dealer. He check and double-checked that the generator for my home was eligible for the offer. First check was in August, then in September before I paid for it. In his emails (which I have) my local dealer was assured of the offer as he ordered on Sept 8th. He was told by the sales rep Britni Trevino on Sept 13, 23, and 24th that offer would be accepted if activated by Oct 10th. It was and Generac sent me that my extended offer was declined. I would have never ordered a Generac generator if the offer was not valid. Big ripoff.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I purchased a Generac XT8000E 10 months ago and have ran it every week or two for 15 minutes or so. Pulled it out before Hurricane Florence and it was running sluggish and would barely idle. I pulled the spark plug boot off (it was very loose and came off with no effort at all) and found that a piece of the plug had broken off in the boot. Took it to an "authorized" repair center and was notified a week later that Generac would not honor the warranty because they suspected tampering. What a flimsy pretext to just dismiss the issue out of hand. Why in the hell would I tamper with the machine when it has only 10 hours on it? In addition to this, the gas shut-off valve hasn't worked since day one.

I have wasted countless hours complaining to Generac that has led me nowhere. And these ** have the balls to mail out extended warranties every other week when they won't even honor the original warranty. I have since had a magnetic bumper sticker made that reads "DON'T BUY A GENERAC GENERATOR". I drive no less than 100 miles a day and am happy to spread the word when people walk up to me at a gas station and ask me what it is all about.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Do Not Buy!! It’s crap. Bought one, stayed in box 4 years. Won’t work. Told by company because I didn’t start it every year. Bull crap. What the mechanic says is wrong with it has nothing to do with engine. The engine would be the only thing benefiting from being started once a year. Plus how damn long do they sit on a shelf before they are sold and after they have sat in a warehouse. Does Lowe’s or Home Depot take them off the shelf and start them up? Thieves who won’t stand behind their “quality” engineering!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

The reason we bought the 8KW automatic generator was to protect our family and pets and to make our lives easier. Generac has failed miserably on both counts. The generator constantly fails to start up with an “over crank” warning when we need it the most. In bad weather when our safety is in jeopardy. We have to spend hundreds of dollars every year to have it repaired and if even half the complaints on this site are accurate then Generac MUST KNOW THAT THERE ARE INHERENT FAULTS WITH THE DESIGN OF THEIR PRODUCTS THAT HAVE GONE UNADDRESSED FOR YEARS. They obviously don’t care or there would have been a comprehensive re design and the complaints would have stopped. People are not making these complaints for no good reason!!! Today at 2:30 pm there is yet another overcrank error. Want me to stop writing that your company makes garbage? Fix my damn generator!!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I purchased a Generac 5500 storm boss from Lowe's a year ago never cranked it up, then came hurricane Florence right in Wilmington NC lights went out so I plug it in pull it for the first time it fired right up. Ha good motor I'm thinking, run it for a few hours herd it sputtering ran out through the rain to find gas all over my shop floor and the generator popping and raising Cain. So I hit the switch, turn it off and with my flashlight I find the fuel tank had melted just above the heat shield and had leaked five gallons of none eth 93 octane gas all over the place. Of course I contacted Generac. I have the girls name that I e-mailed. She said she would send it to a "higher up." Well have not heard a word. Wasted money the way I see it and a real problem for people, if I don't get some feedback from these people I will stand in line to bad mouth these portable fire starters. Thanks to my friend down the street we didn't need that pos.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I read several reviews on this site for Generac and most are not positive. This is not my experience. I bought a Generac 22KW generator and had it professionally installed by Cape Fear Generators. I also have a service contract with them. I have only had one issue and that was with the switchgear. It went out on the first time the generator was used. Cape Fear came out that night and repaired it. # years later, it has worked flawlessly through two hurricanes. Mathew and Florence. Mathew it ran for 13 hours and powered my house perfectly. Florence, it ran for almost 4 days with the same result. I have no complaint with Generac other than the constant emails and mailers for an extended warranty. I get one or two a month. And I have no complaint with Cape Fear Generators (The Authorized Installer). It's my experienced that both are top notch companies.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Purchased a Generac 2800 psi pressure washer in 6/14 which I use to wash the vinyl siding on my house, it's run approx. 30 to 45 min. each year since I bought it which has given it about 3 hours max. run time, this year about halfway through the job the on/off switch fell off, was able to stop it by pulling off the spark plug wire. Unit has always been maintained per owners manual instructions and stored indoors. Very dissatisfied.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I had my generator installed in 2013. It's a 14 KW whole house 200 Amp Auto Transfer. In 2015 I was having a window installed near my generator and the installer made me aware of the starting problem. I called the company back that installed and sold me the unit and they spent about 2 1/2 hours troubleshooting the problem. Their answer was we can't find anything wrong, sometimes they just come off the assembly line that way. I called Generac and they said that's wrong, they do not come off the line that way, call another technician. So I called another and long story short, same answer. Sometimes they just come that way. I called Generac again and they want me to keep trying different technicians at $100.+ per visit. If need be I can start it with a shot of ether. But I can't keep calling different technicians.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Have Generac GP3300 that is brand new. Has less the 3hr on it, drain the gas when I was done with it and 6 months later I needed it for hurricane Florence, so get it out and filled it with gas and tried to start it but it wouldn't start. So called Generac customer service to talk to someone in tech support and they told me all they could do is find a service center for me. So now the family and I are going into a hurricane with a $700 new generator that doesn't work!!! This is by far the worst company I have ever dealt with. I strongly recommend you don't by a Generac.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I installed a state of the art Generac 20KW Synergy from Home Depot with 200 amp trans switch plus all the whistles and bells. Three weeks after install Harvey came with high winds and incessant record rainfall. Our brand new hot rod Generac made the storm just fine, glad to say. We shut it down every 24 hours to check oil and resume use. I filled the engine initially with best quality synthetic oil. I changed oil, used the same proper spec weight best synthetic oil made with Generac replacement filters, at 97 hours. At 107 hours (4 1/2 months old) during an exercise run it started rattling and blowing oil from the exhaust. It had a blown engine. Really? Generac would not warrant it because we didn't change the oil after the "break in" period of 25 hours.

I told the truth, we did not change the oil, c'mon, during a full blown record breaking hurricane just jump out there and change the oil... I used the same, best quality, synthetic oil during the change before initial, first time startup. After 2 weeks of "I don't care about your generator" from Generac I finally found someone to help. Took countless calls and time on the phone. I paid $800.00 out of pocket on a 1/2 and 1/2 pay deal. If this Generac goes down I will not repair it I am replacing it with Kohler because Kohler stands behind their product no questions asked. Kohler engines need no valve adjustments. Valves are hydraulic and engines don't need babysitting. Kohler gens needs no brush replacement either.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Spent over $8000 on Generac home generator that is supposed to fuel the whole house when the electric went off. Had 3 issues with it on 3 separate occasions. Twice it came on like it was suppose to and shut off a while later. Did not get ANY satisfaction from Lowe’s that sold it to us. They sent us an unauthorized Generac repairman that was replacing bad parts with automotive parts (that was confirmed by an authorized dealer that WE had to pay out of pocket). Lowe’s would not take it nor fix it with a proper authorized Generac repairman and the Generac dealer said I would have to deal with Lowe’s. Had bad part that caused it to shut off and on another day, it was leaking gas that could have caught my house on fire. Would NOT recommend.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I spent 7,000 on my Generac 11kw 2 years ago. The unit is now leaking oil and is going to cost me 95 dollars an hour to get fixed, in Generac ads they talk about the quality of construction, well built quality products do not leak oil. At least not in such a short period of time, this unit with the exception of weekly exercises has only operated for 4 hours total time. I would not recommend this product.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I've used this once after buying Brand New, it's spent more time in the shop or me replacing batteries. Tried my 30 day start and guess what? Not starting!!! This is the most unreliable piece of equipment I own. I would no way recommend this unit for a boat anchor MAYBE!!!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

A less than $200 part Generac alternator (part# 0A1232) for Home Standby-45kw model #04373 leaves me dead in the water. This alternator is specific to Generac and many of their large generators from 4.3L and up, but they just stopped making it and now a perfectly maintained and running generator has becomes a worthless giant paperweight because it doesn't use a common automotive type alternator that is readily available or even rebuildable.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I made appointments through Generac for local contractors to come to my home to discuss their automatic home generator. I reconfirmed those appointments this morning and was assured those two companies would be arriving at my home for those appointments regarding the generator. When the first contractor JP Electric and Sons do not do business with/for Generac, that Generac had not contacted them about any appointment with me and that they received "many calls from other homeowners" telling them that Generac had made non-existent appointments with them too.

I then called the second business (Colonial Electric ) who Generac had also assured me would arrive at my home for an appointment tomorrow. Colonial also said they also had no record of Generac calling to make an appointment with their company for me and that they too receive at "least 3-4 consumer calls" a week asking for confirmation of non-existent Generac appointments. Colonial doesn’t even conduct business in Boston. Clearly this is a pattern of fraudulent business practices by Generac. I wonder how many other contractors Generac tells consumers will arrive to discuss their product?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I began my purchase of the whole house Generac Generator 22kW almost a year ago. I was so delighted. I thought it had to be a great product and through Home Depot, awesome. The spill was the 24 months no interests and 10 year warranty. Plus, my neighbors had old generators and were happy with them. Well, the first thing that happened was a Home Depot delivery truck had a wreck and knocked out everyone’s power.

My generator just got serviced that same day. So the power was a bit coming on and when it did, the transfer switch didn’t transfer the power. So my Generator is going full blast. I see white smoke and the power company personnel know that this is dangerous. So then, I have to argue with Cantor Power about my warranty. Meanwhile, since there is no power, the battery can’t recharge. So I don’t have a bill for the $400.00 transfer switch, instead, they want to charge me $610.00 for the electrician, new battery and the electrician’s travel. Seriously. I am turning them into the BBB.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I purchased a 11kw Generac generator last year. After 10 months and 23 hrs on the unit it blew a factory oil hose stopping the unit for low oil pressure. I called a representative of Generac and explained what happened expecting to be reimbursed for repair under warranty and was told that it was not covered because it was considered a maintenance issue. How is a factory clamp failure a maintenance issue? My unit was serviced 3 weeks prior to this malfunction. Think before you buy as some companies don’t back their products as they should.

Original review: July 25, 2018

We are building a new house on raw land. We needed a generator to power the lot until the main power company could come set the power. We used it for 2 weeks and it started to give us problems. It took them 2.5 weeks to send a tech out, only to tell us it had a blown motor. They wouldn't stand behind the warranty due to the fact is wasn't set up to a main power line. So what do people do when they lose power? Not even the company we bought it from would stand behind it. We spent 4,000$ on a piece of junk. Wish we had done our research prior to buying this type generator. To boot the tech informed us that no one wants to service these because Generac doesn't pay them while it's under warranty. Good luck with trying to find someone to come service it while under warranty. Now it will cost us 2,500$ for a new motor. Yeah no thanks! I will find a better product with better service and warranty behind it.

Original review: July 22, 2018

Careful buying from these guys. Sneaky business practices that are very misleading. What is sneaky? They advertised a 10 year warranty if you buy during a certain period of time. Guess what... It only has application to certain models found in very, very small print. They should be sued for misleading and false advertising. Too bad we have to retain legal counsel before we buy a product from Generac. Generac shame on you.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I had a 16k Generac generator for 12 years, ran thru Harvey Like a champ. Got talked into upgrading to a 22k. Installed on May the 15. On July 12th power went out. Generator ran 47 minutes and died, overspeed code, Tech. came out that night and found stator bad, 2.5 total runtime. Had to order a new one. Unit should be replaced not repaired. Smart ** then tells me, "Good news it's under warranty". 14 hours without power since it blew up. 6500 total spent for Nothing. Generator Supercenter Houston got their money, they don't care, just tells me it's ordered.

Resolution response: Aug. 16, 2018

I was contacted by Generac and the original mistake was corrected. I would like to thank Kitty at Generac for the wonderfull service and support.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I have a 17kw whole house generator with a defective rotor. The rotor was wound with loose windings which allowed them to protrude past the laminations due to centrifugal force and contact the stator, this caused a catastrophic failure of the rotor and wedged copper wire in the stator. I should also add that this unit is out of warranty and I wasn't asking for a free repair. Just a discount on the repair parts. I called Generac and was told since there were no previous issues reported they could not give me a discount on the defective parts. The generator is 6 years old and runs 15 min a week which is 13 hours per year which equates to 78 hours of exercise time and another 33 hours of run time under load 111 hours. I will also be posting a Youtube video showing this poor workmanship and subsequent poor service.

Original review: June 22, 2018

During Hurricane Harvey, we had 3 ft or so of water in the house and more outside. Our whole house generator flooded. We purchased a new Generac since the old one had worked so good. The purchase and installation was completed in September 2017. This purchase was expensive (flood insurance does not cover anything outside) but gave us “peace of mind”. Here we are, 9 months later and the generator still does not operate. My husband and I took off many work days to get this fixed.

Many parts had to be ordered, some, such as a new regulator with the gas meter had to be paid by us, and the generator is still not working. A month ago we were told by the service center that we need a new ignition coil which is, “surprise!”, on back order. We have spent many days trying to resolve this with Generac and with our installer. When something does not work, especially after spending $8K, they should replace it with a new one. Generac needs to stand behind their product and in their own advertising words: “do more” and “have peace of mind”. I guess our next step will need to be legal.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Was looking for a American made reputable company to purchase outdoor power equipment from and chose Generac. What a mistake, purchased a new pressure washer and 2 inch water pump only to have the water pump fail in less than 60 days. This was not the bad part anything can break, no big deal until you learn that the company that made it will not stand behind it and you are on your own. Called Generac and was told I would have to pay 87.00 for a new pump housing that cracked. This ST20 pump had a one year warranty or so I thought. Generac will not send you a warranty part you will have to load it up and haul it to a service center for repairs.

I emailed Generac customer service to give them a fair chance to credit me for the warranty part and right this wrong. Instead of giving me my money back for the part under warranty they have stonewalled and doubled down on terrible customer service and ignore the problem. Will never do business with Generac again. Both of my new Generac items a new pressure washer and water pump 900.00 dollars are going to the trash dump. Lesson learned the hard way.

Updated on 08/02/2018: Generac gave a really good response saying this is not the way we do business when my 400 dollar ST20 2 inch water pump failed under warranty and they refused to send a replacement part for it at no charge. Well you will never get them to send you a warranty part without payment. You will still have to load it up and haul it to one of their service centers to have the service center get the part and install it even if it only takes 5 min to install a pump housing. Now I'm reading the service centers don't want to do work for Generac because they don't get paid. Instead of refunding my money for the warranty part Generac has doubled down on their policy of not letting the owner fix the item labor free.

They have stonewalled wussy footed and beat around the bush until I give up. THIS IS the way they do business and they will not send you any warranty part for you the owner to install yourself even if you send them the bad part back first. I refuse to spend 100 bucks hauling their junk around to get it fixed. If I had known this is how they handle warranty parts I would have never bought anything from Generac. Harbor Freight has a much better parts warranty than this and their pump was 240 bucks cheaper.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I bought my automatic Generac Generator for my home in 2014, and bought an "extended" warranty for $966.60 on 6/12/18. I was just told by my Generac repairman that this "new" warranty begins in "2014", when I bought the generator, and not on 6/12/18, when I bought the extended warranty! I am so angry right now! I pulled out the promotional paperwork that I received in the mail, all the lettering is in large, readable print, except for the part that says "it begins the year you bought the generator", that's in very tiny, just barely readable lettering, even with my glasses on. If you're thinking about buying an automatic generator don't buy one from Generac. They're a very sneaky, deceitful company. Give your money to a company you can trust. I wish I had done my homework in the very beginning, and read all the complaints about them. Live and learn...

Generac Power Systems expert review by ConsumerAffairs

For over 50 years, Generac has been making residential standby generators. Today it also makes portable and industrial generators, fully automatic transfer switches and accessories for backup power applications. Consumers can choose from multiple fuel types for their generators and many different series and models based on their specific needs.

• Generators for homeowners: Generac makes over 40 models of residential generators across six series: The Guardian, Synergy, EcoGen, PowerPact, QuietSource and Protector series. Each model in the homeowner generator category runs on natural gas or liquid propane and sits outside like a typical air conditioning unit. Each model delivers backup power directly to your home’s electrical panel, eliminating the need for extension cords, and runs on your existing natural gas or liquid propane fuel supply so you won’t run out of fuel.

• Generators for business: Generac offers businesses with multiple standby power solutions including gas- and diesel-fueled, bi-fuel and modular power systems. Its single generators offer up to two megawatts of power, while its paralleling systems allow for multiple units to be installed together, offering standby power of up to 7,000 watts.

• Mobile generators: Generac’s line of mobile generators can be fueled by diesel or gas, have a rugged, durable design and come with wheels for easy transportation across multiple types of terrain. Mobile units include generators, light towers, heaters, pumps, water trailers and government/military-used generators, which are customized for remote military locations.

• Mobile remote monitoring: Generac’s residential generators come with Mobile Link remote monitoring. This feature allows you to check your generator's status from your laptop, tablet or smartphone.

• Pricing: Generac has a tool on its website to help you locate the nearest dealer to your location. A dealer's website site generally lists pricing for the models they carry, or you can call for pricing.

• Best for: homeowners or property owners wanting reliable backup power.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs