3.08/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Generac Power Systems

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 12, 2017

118 Generac Power Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Purchase 20 KW generator in May 2015 from Generac. It arrived with two unattached wires and stopped after three hundred hours. General dealer inspected it and found rotor and stator defective and estimated $2800.00 to repair. General decline to warranty it. Generac warranty allows 1000 hours for first year for International customers but not American customers. I filed suit.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Whole house generator - I just want to express my total disappointment in the fact that nothing is being offered or done to help with getting things taken care of. I basically have a box on the side of my house that can’t do anything. I have a portable that is much older and that was taken care of by the manufacturer as a service to me. They split the difference in cost on repairs. What bothers me the most is the fact that everything was done to ensure that the generator was ready to do its job and when actually needed it totally failed miserably. I am a plumbing salesperson and none of the manufacturers I deal with would ever just disregard a customer especially a loyal one.

I can safely say that Generac will never get my business and I will make sure if ever asked to let people know how it performed or should I say not performed for me and my family. Having a special needs child is why we have this thing and it was just a waste of money. All the service and maintenance I paid for and the generator itself. These things just aren’t supposed to happen to a quality product. We picked your company because it was supposed to be reliable and a good product but not so much. Extremely disappointed.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Generac 1750-Lowe's Chester purchase - This was reported following year, sure still on record but could not find it. Fail 1st year to start-repaired at my cost. Failed again that following year, & on Sept. won't start again, never has and needs back to local check again. Really after $2500 expense upsetting. This one was definitely lemon.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

My generator ran 96 hrs without any problems during Irma. It's a 7550 EXL about 5 yrs old. I noticed black cloth like material coming out of the area on the shelf between the engine/generator and the fuel tank. I called Generac the first rep told me it was no problem it was for sunshine. The second rep told me he could not find the part number as it was made by Briggs and Stratton. I looked in the IPC that came with the unit and gave them the P/N (**). Then by magic they told me this was not really needed to operate the generator. I believe this to be either lack of training or lazy. In either case I called again spoke with a parts person told me this cloth was $41.00. I think this should be considered warranty.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

We purchased a Generac 14kw whole house generator 5 years ago. We have paid for the every 6 month maintenances since. It has worked well during minor (less than 24 hr) outages, but has <200 hrs. We have paid for 3 costly repairs on the system and when IRMA hit it lasted 4 days of our 6-day outage, temps were > 90 daily with 'feels like' temp of >100. Dealer said 'roster stater' 6-8 weeks repair. When we called back they said they really felt bad for all the Generac failures in Ocala, FL, but nothing they could do.

Called Generac, rep, said obviously the generator was not meant to run for 4 days straight, that it needed to be turned off for some (unspecified) time every 24 hrs. I asked where in owner manual it explained that, "I don't need a manual to tell me that, it's common sense." I asked what about advertised "24/7 security" and "never feel powerless again". "Just advertising" rep said. Beyond disappointed in product, overwhelmed with lack of customer service. I will not recommend and will NOT purchase another Generac.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generac Power Systems?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Bought a Generac XP10000E $3679.50. I would like to put the events back into the correct order. The lady my wife and I rent our house from made the arrangements to install a double throw manual transfer switch and the wiring from transfer switch to Generac generator. That I and my wife bought. The electrician, who is licensed to do so, was here at our house making the final connections AFTER the generator was delivered. AFTER all the connections outside were made, we came into the house and UNPLUGGED all the electric outlets. We went back outside started the generator. Plugged in the 50 amp plug and moved the transfer switch lever so the electric was coming from the generator. So there was no problem with the breaker switch at that time. We went back into the house and the only appliance drawing electricity was a ceiling fan that operates on a remote control.

The fan did not operate BUT the light was flashing on and off very fast. The only appliance. He went back outside and moved the transfer switch to the OFF. He then UNPLUGGED the 50 amp 120-V / 240-V plug. He checked the generator output with his Volt/Amp meter. The generator's output on the low side was 112-V. The high side was only 229-V. He said the generator was out of calibration and should not be used. I got him on the phone with Gonzalez Trading. I don't know who he talked with. He talked for what seemed like a long time.

This was all in Spanish. I don't speak Spanish. When I was BACK on the phone with Gonzalez Trading, I was told they wanted to send a service man the DAY AFTER TOMORROW. I said that would be great. Sept 11/2017 Yes I bought a NEW Generac Model # G0059322 Serial # 3001825639 $3679.50 Only one problem Brand New Out Of The BOX Will not generate electricity. My wife and I want our money back.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I purchased a Generac 22kw Guardian natural gas unit with their automatic transfer switch (installed by the Generac dealer) around 2 years ago. The output is enough to power everything in the house. 2 weeks ago we were hit with tropical storm Harvey. Our neighborhood and town lost power for 2 weeks. The generator started, transferred and ran perfectly without any problem for the entire time around the clock, the only thing I did was to shut it off every 24 hours for 20 minutes to cool down and to check the oil, after pushed the start button we had power again. Many, many homes were flooded, total town was without power.

Thank God my house did not flood and I was able to offer several families and their children over the course of the storm a dry safe place with power to hold up, wash clothes, get a good home cooked meal (electric stove) and forget about the storm for a while. Eventually utility power was restored and the generator transferred back to utility waiting for the next outage. I have to say that being through several hurricanes and storms the purchase of my Generac system was the best money I have ever spent. Would I buy another system, would I recommend Generac? Without a doubt.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I have owned two Generac natural gas standby generators. Both experienced mechanical failures after approximately 30 hours of use, and Generac refused to cover them under warranty. I will never buy another Generac.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Twice during the year, I emailed Generac through their Customer Support address on their website regarding two separate problems about my Generac Guardian Generator. Both times, I never received a reply. I tried calling a number of times but wait time was much too long. Always tried again a few days later, same response -- wait for a long time or call back. I was never able to speak with a representative. Why spend so much money on a product that has no representation? Never again! Also, it's a poor design for areas that have deep snowfalls.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I purchased a Generac 14KW Guardian generator in 2014 which did not have the capability to switch the service run cycle from every week to every other week, an option the newer models have, and saves both propane and wear & tear on the generator. The option would be available with a firmware update for the generator's computer. When I called Generac's Customer Service about it, I was told my generator was not setup to go to the 2 week option.

I asked if there was a firmware update coming that would allow that option. They didn't have an answer. I asked to talk to a Supervisor and was told that none were available. I asked to speak to technical support, and was told that Customer Service was the only one I could talk to. Twice, I was also told that they had millions of customers and the couldn't make a change for just one customer: Even though the firmware update would have benefited many generators (the same results on multiple phone calls).

I then called Generac Corporate headquarters, in an effort to tell Management how I was being stonewalled and to see if I could get an answer on whether a firmware update was in the works. I dialed several extensions, off the cuff, and was finally able to connect to an operator (no option to connect to an operator when initially calling corporate HQ). She would not connect me with anyone in the management chain of command. Told me she was connecting me with the Customer Service Supervisor; instead I was put in the queue to talk to another Customer Service Rep.

I just happened to LUCK OUT, when he answered, after my initial disgust, he told me, he would take my information and have the supervisor call me back. After I told him what I wanted, he admitted he was a Tech, filling in for a Customer Service Rep. He then informed me that the firmware updates for my generator were already available, gave me the firmware update numbers and told me where to get them. If that is how Generac Corporate Management wants to treat customers, shame on them. Customer Service acts like a wall when any question beyond their immediate knowledge bank is asked. Management has the company set up where Customer Service is your first and last option, and Management has isolated themselves so the customer can not make them aware of a customer relationship problem. It took me a year and one half to get the information I needed, even after working with my local Generac Dealer.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

20 kw Generac generator with RTS series 200amp transfer switch - This unit was installed 9 years ago. We've diligently maintained the unit since its installation. Around midnight on the third day of hurricane Harvey's brutal rainfall pounding, some of our lights began flickering uncontrollably. Upon checking the generator, a strong electrical odor was present. Through further investigation it was found the transfer switch had malfunctioned. All the power to the house had to be turned off to stop the flickering. As a result, we are now on our third day without power. We're the only house in the neighborhood with a generator and the ONLY house WITHOUT power! Be careful spending lots of money installing expensive generators. You may find yourself the only person without power!!!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I spent over 15 thousand dollars on a Generac 27 KW generator. I also spent extra money to obtain an extended warranty. Buyer beware!!! In the three years I have owned this machine, it has broken down twice. I have no issue with something mechanical breaking down.. especially when I have an extended warranty. The problem is Generac's warranty service and their inability to provide replacement parts in a timely fashion. It has been 7 weeks now, and I am still waiting for Generac to supply the warrantied replacement parts for this most recent breakdown.

Six months ago, I got so tired waiting for them to replace a warrantied part (after 4 weeks) that I purchased the part from a commercial vendor and had it in two days. The best part of that fiasco was Generac's refusal to reimburse me for the cost of the part. I was told by their warranty department that I had to receive any part through them in order to satisfy my extended warranty contract's "fine print"! Buyer beware. Generac's warranty and ability to supply replacement parts is a joke. Your expensive machine will sit idle while you wait for someone to do their job.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I bought this generator at a Home Depot store and apparently it was returned and fixed or refurbished so I got a discounted price which saved me about 150. It's easy to maneuver around. Also, it is easy to start and the running time is approximately ten hours. There is very little to service and Generac has a pretty good reputation. I just wish the running time would last longer than the ten hours than it previously had. Also the price could have been a little less but I didn't mind paying a little extra for the quality.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I choice this generator after reviewing the reviews online and using consumer reports. This brand is lightweight, compact and easily transported where ever you need it. Also, the large fuel tank and easy start features whether using battery start or the pull cord make it very easy to use. There is only one thing I would like this generator to have is a remote control start. That would be great.

Original review: July 30, 2017

We purchased this generator because of an upcoming storm that we knew was coming. We chose Generac because we had read some very positive reviews on this particular model, it was large enough to withstand and perform without hesitation and it was in our price range at the time. It worked great and it was able to supply the power that we needed quite sufficiently throughout the entire power outage. We have had no trouble starting it since we purchased it. Though it should have a lighted function board, and that the choke should be easier to access. The on off switch was also getting a good bit of condensation around it when the sun went down. But it has plenty of outlets, it was very economical for us to use and ran more quietly than most of the other generators that we have bought in the past. It is the best on the market.

Original review: July 29, 2017

Best purchase in my life. Generac is always my main choice for a generator. There were plenty of options but this one stood out as the prime choice. This has all of the features at an amazing price and I would buy it again if I had to. It’s powerful and compact, always helpful and handy. With power and this generator, there is nothing standing in your way. However, the size of the generator could be even more compact, always room for improvement. There could be more outlets for more widespread use with the power too. Other than that it really is the perfect generator.

Original review: July 28, 2017

Bought the whole house system to have the comfort of having electrical power available when weather or other conditions cause power outages for any lengthy time. Living in Florida provides warm and sunny weather but frequent summer storms and possibly of hurricanes which can interrupt power for several days. The Generac Generators are the leading brand of small business and whole house standby electric generation. The units are designed to withstand the most difficult situations, ie, stormy and rainy weather. The units are permanently wired into your homes electrical panel for immediate start up on power outage. The only drawback about their brand is the initial upfront cost for the unit plus installation and electrical hook ups. Despite these factors the units are worth every penny spent upfront.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I first looked online for a brand, then compared prices online and at my local hardware store. The display and packaging were very easily informative, which helped me make my choice easier. It performs like a standard generator, and the fuel tank is large, also. This generator has been completely reliable, has worked perfectly so far and has had no faults or flaws. Generac has done an exceptional job making this generator.

Original review: July 26, 2017

I compared generators online and read reviews to narrow down my choices. After that I picked the brand and emailed the company for more information about the product. I choose this particular brand because of the reviews and the specs fit what I was looking for. I have bought 11,000 watt (lp) and I have installed it for a year. It's not the largest but it handles every vital need. It automatic power up when I had a power outage. Also, to have the ability to lock the cabinet and prevent it vandalism is great. However within the first week I had to replace a faulty starter, but it was still under warranty so I was able to replace it easily. I wish there were lower fuel usage or alternative fuel source. My fuel usage is about 2 to 3 gallon per hour which is good, but there are always a way to improve. Other than that, it is great.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Generac Power Systems are very reliable... I love that it works so quickly. I chose this brand because my friends had used it. When I said I was interested in getting a generator, they recommended Generac to me. They told me many great things about them, and they were definitely right about everything! I am so glad I chose Generac! Honestly, though, I wish the installation was faster... I am a very impatient person (hee hee). But they took their time with installing and that made it very sturdy. It is also very energy efficient and it had a reasonable price. It is perfect the way it is! The customer service was great, too.

Original review: July 24, 2017

I like that you can have it for a long time and get a lot of use out of it. I also like that it has a long charge life. But I don't like sometime the battery life goes real quick. You to find another way to power it up. It is a good way to find you need the generator for life saving moment and it don't perform well. But it is a good bit of different brand you can use. They are very versatile. I also like the features it had to offer to help you get by and that the cost of Generac was not that much at all.

Original review: July 23, 2017

I have had this generator (Generac mobile 7.5kw) for about 10 years and have never used it. At the start of hurricane season I take it out to check it. This year when I did that it started for about 10 seconds and then died. Each time I started it, it did the same thing. I contacted Generac about it giving model and serial number but they did not recognize it. Even though it was a Generac sticker on the machine, they told me it was a Briggs & Stratton motor and to contact them. When I contacted Briggs & Stratton they did not recognize it either although they had manual on that Model. I think the problem is the low oil switch but without a diagram I don't know what it looks like or where to find it. After reading some of the reviews I think I was lucky not to have to use it at any time. Is this the buy America future?

Original review: July 23, 2017

We had heard some good things about Generac from other people plus we had a major power outage and had checked many stores in our area and most were sold out but Costco, where the price was good and they had some in stock. The model we have is not a super large one so I am able to move it around because of the wheels. It's medium sized but it has worked well for us during power outages and can at least run the fridge, freezer, and not long ago also a space heater to stay warm. But it would be nice if it was a push button start. I have a bad shoulder and cannot start the generator myself. I need my husband to start it for me. And more plugs would be nice too.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I looked at every place and rented lots to see how they work and then went to Home Depot and looked at them about five different times and decided which one to get and I got Generac Power Systems. The generator powers everything and has lots of plugs. Runs great. Looks nice and clean as well. Also, it is very quiet and has a very big gas tank. It is easy to start and runs a long time on one tank of gas too. But I would make the generator lighter, more easy to store and handle, and make it with better wheels like the ones that you put air in and make it a different color so it will not stand out so much.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I saw a commercial advertising the home standby system so I wanted to see what the new phone link technology was about. I'm seeing all these bad reviews. I have had my 12k natural gas home standby system since 2006. Had a regular electrician install the system. We left it at factory setting and didn't do the gas change setting. Unit has worked well, have run for over 12 hours without any problems knock on wood. I really enjoy this back up unit. The only problem noticed with all units is the exploding battery after 2 or 3 years. Don't know if it's the unit or battery.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I read reviews and Generac fit my needs and budget and home circumstances at the time with a hurricane coming. It meet and exceeded my goals for a home generator. It's dependable and it works great and powers my house needs.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I really like the new generator I bought from Home Depot. I selected Generac because my friend recommended them to me. My good friend has the same exact one that I have, (I got the idea from him) and his worked pretty good at a camping we were once having. I thought it would be nice to have my own so I asked him and he told Generac. I loved this one because it works way better when it was time for my family to use it. It made me feel like I could bring my family anywhere at any time of the day.

A few things I dislike about it is the fact that it cut off too early on us. I also dislike how it was hard to pick out which one. There was so many at the store that it was hard to choose from. It would be a lot easier if they had separated the generators by power and performance instead of brands because I was really confused at the store when I went to go buy it. It also has a short cord for connecting to power.

But it works well in all areas and is very efficient during the night. Also, it maintains its power and makes it fun for a lot of our family activities. I also enjoy the ease of use and how easy it is to travel. Some features I also like is the ability to have lights on it which make it very comfortable and easy to use in any environment. The last time used the generator it was very useful in making all of us for safe with electricity. The voltage is very high and the night was very enjoyable because of our generator. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes to be outdoors and utilize all of their electricity.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I was in need of a generator very quickly because of a pending hurricane storm so I went and purchased the Generac Power Systems generator because of recommendations/review online. The generator I purchased has many features including a very easily portable wheelie system along with a very large and suitable gas tank and an electric starter. However the petcock valve on the generator broke very easily and I was left without a generator in the middle of a potentially very dangerous storm. This left me and my family very worried and we were not satisfied with the performance of the generator system.

Original review: July 17, 2017

In the past, I have seen many commercials and I had seen and talk to other people that had this type before I decided to get one of them. I like the style, the power and the safety of always having power to use, especially during power outages. They have a done a very good job on the design, look and durability of this item.

Original review: July 17, 2017

We purchased Generac because it was a good value for the price. It is small and we only needed it just in case the power goes out. We have been able to power up our refrigerator and a lamp and something else that was small to help us out during the last power outage. We have a small corn burner that we could use if it was cold weather and I think that we did use it with the generator at one time and it worked fine. I like that it is compact and portable and able to use it for several things to power up during a power outage. It is very easy to store away because of its compact size. Inexpensive to buy and works great for the needs that we have.

Generac Power Systems expert review by ConsumerAffairs

For over 50 years, Generac has been making residential standby generators. Today it also makes portable and industrial generators, fully automatic transfer switches and accessories for backup power applications. Consumers can choose from multiple fuel types for their generators and many different series and models based on their specific needs.

• Generators for homeowners: Generac makes over 40 models of residential generators across six series: The Guardian, Synergy, EcoGen, PowerPact, QuietSource and Protector series. Each model in the homeowner generator category runs on natural gas or liquid propane and sits outside like a typical air conditioning unit. Each model delivers backup power directly to your home’s electrical panel, eliminating the need for extension cords, and runs on your existing natural gas or liquid propane fuel supply so you won’t run out of fuel.
    • Generators for business: Generac offers businesses with multiple standby power solutions including gas- and diesel-fueled, bi-fuel and modular power systems. Its single generators offer up to two megawatts of power, while its paralleling systems allow for multiple units to be installed together, offering standby power of up to 7,000 watts.
    • Mobile generators: Generac’s line of mobile generators can be fueled by diesel or gas, have a rugged, durable design and come with wheels for easy transportation across multiple types of terrain. Mobile units include generators, light towers, heaters, pumps, water trailers and government/military-used generators, which are customized for remote military locations.
    • Mobile remote monitoring: Generac’s residential generators come with Mobile Link remote monitoring. This feature allows you to check your generator's status from your laptop, tablet or smartphone.
    • Pricing: Generac has a tool on its website to help you locate the nearest dealer to your location. A dealer's website site generally lists pricing for the models they carry, or you can call for pricing.
    • Best for: homeowners or property owners wanting reliable backup power.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs