Based on 78 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Generac Power Systems

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experienceDissatisfied with the experienceSatisfied with the experienceHappy with the experienceWould recommend to a friend
Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: March 5, 2018

139 Generac Power Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: March 5, 2018

I wanted a standby generator system for my house. I got online with Generac. I was contacted by the local place, (I guess), KA Generator PO box **, Edgewood, NM 87015 - Alan, of KA and I talked and he determined what I needed and the price. I decided to go ahead with the purchase. He told me a specific price for the generator, and the installation. There was much contact back and forth, until I had a "final" price. The Generator came in, unexpectedly one day and I had to make special arrangements to store it at my house. Now I needed installation.

The contractor, Interstate Electric, contacted me about doing a site survey. We set up a time, and they were at least 45 minutes late. (No contact in regards) After the survey, Alan of Interstate told me he had what he needed and quoted a price. I waited 10 days until they could get me on their schedule. When that time was up, they needed to look at my site again. I set it up and waited, and waited. The following day they final came out. At this time Randy said he could not place the generator where he said he was going to put it because it was too close to my house and my neighbor's house. Now he said he needed to place it further away in my back yard, and it was going to cost me $1400.00 extra! I told him I was not pleased and I questioned whether he was new to this or what? I told him I was not going to pay that, and I was going to consider cancelling the entire job. I soon found that I was stuck with the generator, and no installation.

About 10 days later Randy contacted me about doing the job. I told him I was not going to pay $1400.00 extra. We went around and around, and finally he offered to pay half for his mistake, and BS. I told him I would think about it. I waited a few days, then because I felt trapped, I agreed. The installation happened, off and on over the next few weeks. I could never count on them to be at my house when they said they would. It was hit or miss! Finally the system was installed, and I paid Randy, and just wanted him off my property! I got very little new owner instructions. I have read the manuals, but know next to nothing about my system.

Hey Generac, is this the kind of representation you want for your product?? I have since told as many neighbors and friends to not get trapped into the product the way I did. I WILL NOT recommend this product to ANYONE!! The only receipt I received was a typed out list and price from KA Generator, and an emailed one from Randy

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

We purchased a new 22kW Generac standby generator in June '17. Upon initial installation the unit would not start up properly and the installer couldn't figure out why. When I called Generac they required me to have a service tech come out from a “servicing dealer” and told me my dealer was only a “selling dealer”. Since they gave me the selling dealer info to begin with I had no idea there was any difference. I won't bore you with the fact it took over 3 months to get a quote to begin with when we decided on getting a generator. When a service dealer arrived he determined the circuit board was defective and he would need to report it to Generac and have them send a replacement part. It was finally replaced about 3 weeks after original install and appeared to work properly. Little did we know what the future would hold.

Every week for approx 6 months the generator would do its weekly test. Then in early January it started up, ran for 3 seconds or so, and then stopped. I went outside shortly afterward and saw that the red light was on, indicating a serious issue. Back to calling a servicing dealer, who couldn't come out for nearly a week. When they came out they found numerous issues and parts that needed replaced. To make matters worse we were shown proof that the circuit board that was originally replaced was replaced with a refurbished part! A refurbished part on a brand new unit!!

Servicing dealers have no authority to replace anything without Generac approval so they sent pictures, notes and recommendations for review. After another few weeks they came out again with numerous parts... Yet the unit still wouldn't start properly. The technician said he told Generac it also needed the same circuit board be replace but Generac had not provided it. Now a request would need to be made for a new board. I spoke with Generac and demanded a completely new unit since this unit has not worked properly from the beginning. They told me it's their option to replace parts or the unit and they wouldn't replace unit. Generac is complete crap in our opinion. The tech will be out soon to try new part again but my wife and have little faith this $9,000 investment will work properly when needed. We feel 100% ripped off and warn anyone to buy a Generac to run in other direction.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Generac 20KW Whole House Nat Gas Generator - Completely unreliable. Was good for first few years then it's been a nightmare since. Constant failures, no starts, overcrank lockouts. I have only 140 hours run time and have invested so much in repairs, for what I spent I could have allowed my basement to flood and move into a hotel during an outage. Constant conflict with opinions of what is wrong, valve lash goes out of adjustment constantly. Every tech that comes out has a different opinion, all of which are expensive and conflicting each other... Now suddenly I am being told I need a "cold weather kit" yet last year I had a tech come out and blame my battery warmer for constant battery issues, he removed it and said it was not necessary... Now it is? Along with an oil warmer... Maybe I should build a heated shed around it to keep it comfy during the winter??? Not worth the money I spent, not a durable product, not meant for outdoor use in winter.

I had to laugh right at the tech a few weeks ago when he decided to criticize the gas pipe that it's hooked up to... Despite the fact that it is in spec and has been there for 8+ years already without problems, suddenly it seems to be a problem?? Sounds more like they ran out of ideas so let's criticize the owner of it instead? Sad. Just don't buy a Generac, find some other brand.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I purchased the 20kw GENERAC generator in 10/2016 installed 12/2016, due to HOA requirements. Purchased for two main reasons, senior parent with medical needs and two active sump pumps. On 1/1/2018 at 2:30a the owner went out. The very first time that we had a failure this machine FAILED. Fortunately, my parent was visiting with friends and family for the holiday.

I was awake when the outage occurred. I waited the few minutes for the machine to come on. I heard this very loud grinding sound and after 5 minutes nothing happened and the grinding sound had stopped. I realized that there wasn’t a direct or clear point of contact for emergency service. I didn’t know who to call. I hesitated but tried the installers’ number and left a message after being in the dark for about 20-25 minutes. I am thinking it was good that my parent wasn’t home because this would have been a medical emergency. I tried Generac 24/7 Line. This was frustrating because the service line number was not clear nor direct to a service person. No one at the time of emergency wants to go through a series of “Push some number “ to get another “Push another number” for the next instructions. That was very frustrating. No one answered. I hung up. I was flustered because I didn’t know what to do.

The power was restored a couple of hours later. I tried the Generac 24/7 number and this time someone answered the phone. I explained all that happened. I was offered a service tech in my area. It was the same tech who originally installed the unit and he hadn’t yet returned either of my earlier phone calls. The Generac company only support was to basically tell how sorry they were. And I should seek the service from the tech. I refused because I just couldn’t understand a machine at that age by installment date this machine was brand new and it FAILED.

The tech told me beforehand looking at the machine told me that I needed an oil change and the machine would be good. My gut tells me there is more wrong. I am still paying for this machine and it is NOT working. I asked for a new machine or remove and reimburse. The installing tech showed up on Jan 2nd two hours late. He claimed that I needed new oil. The machine only had somewhere close to 4-5 hours of running time. The only running time that we know of is the Five minutes per week of self-checking. I cannot accept this excuse. The grinding was loud and horrible sounding! I know that there had to be internal damage.

I WANT THIS DAMN MACHINE EITHER REMOVED AND REIMBURSED OR A NEW ONE INSTALLED! I am paying a third party credit card company for payments, so I am stuck on this. I don’t trust oil being the problem. And I cannot afford to “wait for the next time the power to go out again as the Generac tech explained.” BULL! I can’t take the risk. Generac was not helpful. They have a serious game going on. I heard “I am sorry” in every way.

THIS MACHINE IS NOT RELIABLE AND THERE IS FAR TOO MANY PEOPLE WITH COMPLAINTS. I gave GENERAC a chance to help, but all I got from the customer service rep was I’m sorry in every way possible. The installing tech doesn’t want to swap out this machine because as he said “he can’t afford to swallow the expense” so in his arrogance I guess it’s okay for me to take on the expense of purchasing an inoperable generator. I warned that I would go public because I was getting the runaround from Generac and the install tech. I too have a large yard ornament with a bright red light. Totally dissatisfied customer.

Updated on 03/04/2018: Just Keeping It Real with Generac Complaints and Reviews. I received a notification that there was a response to my Review website. I went to the site and I found out that this review business identified my comments as "Resolution in Progress". Well, that was DEFINITELY NOT true at all.

I read the response on or around Feb 21. I was pretty much shocked by the review response. I immediately began preparing my response on my tablet and but found it too difficult to type on a small keyboard. I needed to prepare a proper response. Before, I could finish my original response, I saw on the local news the same evening that companies like GENERAC pay review websites to respond to consumers who make complaints. The responsibility of these review sites is to make the company that they are representing, to look positive and responsive to the consumer complaint. I was shocked. So, there is a strong possibility that this site is a FAKE? The local news identified these consumer sites as a SCAM.

I thought everyone should see how I was being "assisted" by the I was surprised to see that their response was not included on the website for all to see, so I included it to let other unhappy consumers see what assistance is being provided that would result in a conclusion that a "Resolution is in Progress".

Company response: 2/12/18. "I am sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with your product, however you described having an independent technician out, who according to your statement below has not found any defects with the unit. I would recommend reaching out for a second opinion if you are not trusting the first review. While Generac does manufacture the product, we clearly outline in the owner's manual that the independent dealerships in your area are your service providers."

TO DATE, I WANT THE OTHERS WHO'S COMPLAINED TO NOTE THAT NO ONE RESPONDED TO MY REQUEST AND TODAYS' DATE IS MARCH 3, 2018. I am a verified purchaser, with a very real problem. The complaint/negative review that I shared on this website on Feb. 2, 2018, now has a statement which infers that GENERAC is working a resolve. Well the individual that responded to me never followed up with a response. It boils down my having to put more money into a generator that I haven't finished paying for and is not working. I still have the RED light on my generator since DEC 31, 2017-JAN 1, 2018.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Was sitting in my garage watching TV and noticed lights flickering. Went to main power box in garage and shut off main circuit breaker. Then I smelled an electrical burning smell. I looked outside at the transfer switch that is mounted on the side of my house. It was blazing on fire. I pulled front cover off to get to fire behind 2nd plate. I used ABC fire extinguisher to put out fire. If I had not been there and promptly handled it, my house might have burned down. My electrician came the next day to bypass and put me back on regular power. He found transfer switch in bottom right of box badly damaged from catching on fire. Called Generac and resolution dept. called me back not seeming too concerned and giving run around. They are sending one of their certified contractors to look at it. I am not mounting this transfer switch back on the side of my house!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generac Power Systems?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

We have a 7K home standby generator with less than 50 hours of operating time on the engine and it blew up. Called Generac and was told that they were sorry but that it was no longer under warranty and that there is nothing that they would do.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Installed 15KW Generac generator over 11 years ago and it worked well (with regular maintenance). Utility company rerouted power lines this summer and generator came online while they were working. My lights were too bright on one side, put my meter and read 153 volts. Shut the system down (before a fire started) and called Generac. They had no information on my unit (which I had registered when I installed it). They said they only keep records for 4 years!! I asked for the technical manuals for my unit, which they said they don't have. I found other complaints online. Bottom line... After finding some information online, the voltage regulator was bad (Generac stopped making that model, but no recall notice). Be aware!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I purchased a XC8000E commercial grade portable generator on 11-21-2017. It arrived on 12-18-2017, with no battery, called Generac and they sent a battery. On 12-31-2017 I tried to use the generator (6 degrees in WNY). There was no AC output and gas ran out of the carburetor on me and the garage floor. Called Generac, they told me to field flash the unit and put fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank, fix didn't work. I got a lot of bs from customer service, like the generator lost magnetism and the carb. gunked up sitting in the warehouse, (the unit was built in early December). After many more calls and emails they gave me the name of an authorized repair center. I delivered the generator to their repair center on 01-03-2018 and it is still there.

Generac won't replace the unit with one that works, they claim it is a warranty issue. It is not a warranty issue since the unit was never put in service. I am a Vietnam vet, and I strive to buy American. In this case I was robbed of $2499 by Americans? In Wisconsin. I will fight for my new generator as long as I am able. Beware when you buy out of your state. It is sad, but you get better service from jobbers that sell Chinese or other imports, Yamaha or Honda. Honor our Vets please.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Purchased 5k Home generator. From Local Gas Co. and had them install it. Have had several issues with the generator cranking, running, testing...only to find out that our dealer no longer services them! Customer support is a JOKE. They refer you to "HomeAdvisor" which hooks you up with a local company whom charges 500.00 just to run a diagnostic with No REPAIR! With many hours spent online with Generac, and on the phone...and in Generac chat still no progress.

When we get a generator repair person, they charge us and say "oh you need an electrician", when we get an electrician they say "you need a generator repair person" and charge us. Hmmm. No. What I need is a generator that works and some type of support. Maybe even a repair person that is honest and can actually Repair the damn thing! Spent 6k purchase, 2k on installation and hard to guess how much on repairs. Buyers Beware. DO NOT BUY GENERAC. Their Generators are the same quality as their service and customer support!!! JUNK. If you need a generator buy something that can be fixed and a company that stands behind their products.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Generac standby generator 12KW/990 HNYWL - After less than 350 hours of operation the engine would start but shut off after only a few seconds. The authorized repair service determined the generator brush holders had failed. An expensive repair was completed and now, a year later, we see the same symptoms again.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I would highly recommend not buying a Generac home standby generator. I bought the 22KW version from Home Depot July 2017. After getting hit by two hurricanes in Puerto Rico, the thing died. Repeated calls to Generac got nowhere, the only response was, "call the authorized dealer". Of which there are very few of in PR, and impossible to get through to after two storms. If I get it fixed myself, it voids the warranty.

So after spending over $10k including installation, I am left with a useless machine in my backyard. At a time when looters and thieves are running wild with no police presence what-so-ever. Power was a matter of security, not just convenience. After calling and waiting in lines for over a month, I finally gave up and hired my own repair guy. 1.5 months and $1500 in repairs later, it's finally working again.

For three weeks. Until my transfer switch fried. Again with the same response from Generac... “it's your problem not ours.” AND again I've been waiting a month trying to get someone "authorized" to fix it. Still no luck and zero help from Generac other than to give me the same list of 5 dealers that supposedly will fix it. So in summary, a Generac generator is a nice decoration for your backyard, but don't ever actually try to use it in an emergency situation. So many of their generators will fail in your area, the authorized repair technicians will be swamped with work for months, that by the time it will be fixed you will no longer need it. But maybe that's by design... really reduces your warranty costs!!!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Unit paid in advance, while waited for needed city permits. Once unit, electrical work & gas lines & tanks installed... Unit to be started up for inspection. Did not work. Burnt bad. 2 months later... bad. Not replaced. Lots of money invested. Generac said not responsible. Ordered new board, cause under warranty!!!!

Generac Power Systems response

I am so happy to hear that Generac replaced your unit for you. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Went to use my generator for the 3rd time in just over 2 years and the power knob was stuck in the off position. Trying to get it to spin I think I broke it... Anybody else run into this problem? It figures that the machine is only 2 months out of warranty. The new power knob assembly and knob run about $70.00 plus shipping... I'm not a happy camper!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

3 star rating "satisfied with experience" is for the end result achieved, averaging in a 1 star for the Frustration of the hard time being able to warranty service. My experience is best described by the following letter sent to the only authorized dealer that responded in a timely manner - I rate Brad ** & Carolina Generators a 5 Star.

"I had been trying to get an "authorized Generac dealer" to make the warranty service call for 3 or 4 weeks. A week or two ago, I had already completed the Generac survey illustrating my frustration - hadn't heard back from them. When I contacted you, you were immediately responsive, and I am going to report that as a 5 star to Generac, along with a 1 star to all the other 6 or 8 dealers that I had contacted. (In case I don't find them, please send me any and all links that I can rate you and Carolina Generators with a 5 star.)

That being said, yesterday, about noon, I got a call from one of the dealers that I had contacted 2 or 3 weeks ago, saying they could be out that afternoon. While I felt no doubt that you would get to me next week, as you said --- along the lines of "a bird in the hand..." -- I told them to come on out. They did and supposedly completed the repairs needed. I was so impressed with your immediate response and willingness to schedule warranty service soon** that you are on my "list of one" to call for any future warranty Generac work.

** (Especially when compared with the other authorized dealer calls which resulted in my impression that they were not interested in / didn't want to do Generac warranty work and/or didn't want to come to Wilkes County.) Bottom line for this communication is to thank you for your phone and email communications and that, for what was my current need for service, to let you know that you can take my service call off your list to be scheduled."

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

5 month old residential whole house generator has had almost all parts replaced, including 3 new boards. Unit will start very briefly but immediately cuts out. Dealer/installing contractor will no longer return calls and Generac says they will only deal with the contractor. Fed up and seeking legal representation.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Found out that this unit does not do well in hurricanes. The unit was purchased at Home Depot and installed on a house in St. Thomas VI. 2 storms rolled through and left our home without power. The Generac unit did not start after the first storm and after having a recommended service company work on it several times it is now deemed dead. I do not recommend this generator for use anywhere it might rain, snow, sleet or hail. Anywhere else should be fine.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

In 2011, we purchased a 14k Generac whole house generator. Installation took 6 months on cinder blocks before the installer came back and he refused to comply with the town required codes. He even installed it without pulling the permits... I found out later after a visit from a town official. The installer had to pull them AFTER the fact. I had to pay several hundred dollars to later have it reinstalled, move gas line, inspections... Why did I bother. The darned thing blew its circuit board during the first winter storm (Massachusetts). Generac replaced it but the whole unit never really worked right. 15 minute self-checks went off pretty well but if the generator had to run for a couple of hours or would cut out. Not good in a blizzard. Yes. I did keep the maintenance up with Generac recommended dealers (tried several) and shovel away the snow from the vents. It NEVER made it through a storm.

We decided to move in 2017 and I had a total analysis and tune-up of the Generac done by another company (at considerable expense) and the generator subsequently worked. I was going to trash it because I would not let the new owners buy a home with a piece of crap Generac. We had several months of working service finally and then I felt comfortable selling it with the home instead of dumping the whole damn unit. I spoke to Generac time and time again when the generator shut down but because the display window did not show an "error message", Generac told me that there was nothing wrong. SERIOUSLY!

Customer service was simply AWFUL. We're in our new home now and looking for another generator. Most likely, it won't be a Generac. Ours was absolute GARBAGE! I haven't decided on a brand yet, but Kohler is a distinct possibility. All I want is a reliable machine. I am 67, my wife is 66 and needs a breathing machine at night. I have a kidney transplant and we need to be prepared if it fails and home dialysis becomes an issue. I surely can't rely on Generac to take care of us "power wise" in an emergency.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

We purchased a full house 60KW generator in 2011 from an authorized Generac dealer, unit has been serviced quarterly since installation by the same authorized dealer. In 2013 we had to replace the flex plate, in 2017 we had to replace the flex plate again, three weeks before Hurricane Irma. We live in Miami, Irma hit. The generator worked for 1/2 a day and died, the newly replaced flex plate failed for the third time.

We are told that the flex plate should not fail, by authorized dealers. We were sold a defective generator and Generac has failed to acknowledge this problem. We invested $43,000 in this generator and are left without backup power which is essential for our particular situation since my husband is disabled. We've made contact with Generac customer service to no avail, they hang up on you. BUYER BEWARE, POOR PRODUCT, NO CUSTOMER SERVICE, THIS COMPANY OWNS NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR SELLING A DEFECTIVE PRODUCT.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Nice generator. Looks good, easy to install. Purchase generator not doing my research on remote monitoring. If I had known I would have purchased a different generator with a network monitoring system. Why can't they produce a remote monitoring system like Cummings generators.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I am approaching the $14,000 price level on this 22k generator purchased thru Neptune Home Depot and NRG supplier. Shortly after taking my $13,000 NRG closed its doors and I never heard from them again. They "installed" the generator on a slab after ripping up a drainage pipe and leaving the holes. Eventually they came and threw dirt over the still unconnected drainage pipe. They never set up the generator to run properly.

A year later I complained and was connected to a new group to set up a $400 maintenance program. After 1 and 1/2 years I find that while it powers the fridge, possibly a well pump, and a heat pump, that the house is still in total darkness during an outage... no lights. I am still awaiting a generator reconfiguration and I'll change this review if someone, anyone, can get this generator to power the house lights during an outage. To date, it has been a very, very, bad purchase. More later.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I would never recommend Generac generator. We've had ours about 4 years and have only been able to use it once for just 4 hours - not that we didn't need it more than that, but it was always broken!!! Twice the control panel went bad, we had to replace the battery and the one time we were able to use it, my husband had to turn it on manually and then go out in the middle of the night and turn it off manually. We spent over $1,000 having the control panel replaced again about a month ago, and the repairman said Generac will only guarantee the part for 3 months!!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Purchase 20 KW generator in May 2015 from Generac. It arrived with two unattached wires and stopped after three hundred hours. General dealer inspected it and found rotor and stator defective and estimated $2800.00 to repair. General decline to warranty it. Generac warranty allows 1000 hours for first year for International customers but not American customers. I filed suit.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Whole house generator - I just want to express my total disappointment in the fact that nothing is being offered or done to help with getting things taken care of. I basically have a box on the side of my house that can’t do anything. I have a portable that is much older and that was taken care of by the manufacturer as a service to me. They split the difference in cost on repairs. What bothers me the most is the fact that everything was done to ensure that the generator was ready to do its job and when actually needed it totally failed miserably. I am a plumbing salesperson and none of the manufacturers I deal with would ever just disregard a customer especially a loyal one.

I can safely say that Generac will never get my business and I will make sure if ever asked to let people know how it performed or should I say not performed for me and my family. Having a special needs child is why we have this thing and it was just a waste of money. All the service and maintenance I paid for and the generator itself. These things just aren’t supposed to happen to a quality product. We picked your company because it was supposed to be reliable and a good product but not so much. Extremely disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Generac 1750-Lowe's Chester purchase - This was reported following year, sure still on record but could not find it. Fail 1st year to start-repaired at my cost. Failed again that following year, & on Sept. won't start again, never has and needs back to local check again. Really after $2500 expense upsetting. This one was definitely lemon.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

My generator ran 96 hrs without any problems during Irma. It's a 7550 EXL about 5 yrs old. I noticed black cloth like material coming out of the area on the shelf between the engine/generator and the fuel tank. I called Generac the first rep told me it was no problem it was for sunshine. The second rep told me he could not find the part number as it was made by Briggs and Stratton. I looked in the IPC that came with the unit and gave them the P/N (**). Then by magic they told me this was not really needed to operate the generator. I believe this to be either lack of training or lazy. In either case I called again spoke with a parts person told me this cloth was $41.00. I think this should be considered warranty.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

We purchased a Generac 14kw whole house generator 5 years ago. We have paid for the every 6 month maintenances since. It has worked well during minor (less than 24 hr) outages, but has <200 hrs. We have paid for 3 costly repairs on the system and when IRMA hit it lasted 4 days of our 6-day outage, temps were > 90 daily with 'feels like' temp of >100. Dealer said 'roster stater' 6-8 weeks repair. When we called back they said they really felt bad for all the Generac failures in Ocala, FL, but nothing they could do.

Called Generac, rep, said obviously the generator was not meant to run for 4 days straight, that it needed to be turned off for some (unspecified) time every 24 hrs. I asked where in owner manual it explained that, "I don't need a manual to tell me that, it's common sense." I asked what about advertised "24/7 security" and "never feel powerless again". "Just advertising" rep said. Beyond disappointed in product, overwhelmed with lack of customer service. I will not recommend and will NOT purchase another Generac.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Bought a Generac XP10000E $3679.50. I would like to put the events back into the correct order. The lady my wife and I rent our house from made the arrangements to install a double throw manual transfer switch and the wiring from transfer switch to Generac generator. That I and my wife bought. The electrician, who is licensed to do so, was here at our house making the final connections AFTER the generator was delivered. AFTER all the connections outside were made, we came into the house and UNPLUGGED all the electric outlets. We went back outside started the generator. Plugged in the 50 amp plug and moved the transfer switch lever so the electric was coming from the generator. So there was no problem with the breaker switch at that time. We went back into the house and the only appliance drawing electricity was a ceiling fan that operates on a remote control.

The fan did not operate BUT the light was flashing on and off very fast. The only appliance. He went back outside and moved the transfer switch to the OFF. He then UNPLUGGED the 50 amp 120-V / 240-V plug. He checked the generator output with his Volt/Amp meter. The generator's output on the low side was 112-V. The high side was only 229-V. He said the generator was out of calibration and should not be used. I got him on the phone with Gonzalez Trading. I don't know who he talked with. He talked for what seemed like a long time.

This was all in Spanish. I don't speak Spanish. When I was BACK on the phone with Gonzalez Trading, I was told they wanted to send a service man the DAY AFTER TOMORROW. I said that would be great. Sept 11/2017 Yes I bought a NEW Generac Model # G0059322 Serial # 3001825639 $3679.50 Only one problem Brand New Out Of The BOX Will not generate electricity. My wife and I want our money back.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I purchased a Generac 22kw Guardian natural gas unit with their automatic transfer switch (installed by the Generac dealer) around 2 years ago. The output is enough to power everything in the house. 2 weeks ago we were hit with tropical storm Harvey. Our neighborhood and town lost power for 2 weeks. The generator started, transferred and ran perfectly without any problem for the entire time around the clock, the only thing I did was to shut it off every 24 hours for 20 minutes to cool down and to check the oil, after pushed the start button we had power again. Many, many homes were flooded, total town was without power.

Thank God my house did not flood and I was able to offer several families and their children over the course of the storm a dry safe place with power to hold up, wash clothes, get a good home cooked meal (electric stove) and forget about the storm for a while. Eventually utility power was restored and the generator transferred back to utility waiting for the next outage. I have to say that being through several hurricanes and storms the purchase of my Generac system was the best money I have ever spent. Would I buy another system, would I recommend Generac? Without a doubt.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I have owned two Generac natural gas standby generators. Both experienced mechanical failures after approximately 30 hours of use, and Generac refused to cover them under warranty. I will never buy another Generac.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Twice during the year, I emailed Generac through their Customer Support address on their website regarding two separate problems about my Generac Guardian Generator. Both times, I never received a reply. I tried calling a number of times but wait time was much too long. Always tried again a few days later, same response -- wait for a long time or call back. I was never able to speak with a representative. Why spend so much money on a product that has no representation? Never again! Also, it's a poor design for areas that have deep snowfalls.

Generac Power Systems expert review by ConsumerAffairs

For over 50 years, Generac has been making residential standby generators. Today it also makes portable and industrial generators, fully automatic transfer switches and accessories for backup power applications. Consumers can choose from multiple fuel types for their generators and many different series and models based on their specific needs.

• Generators for homeowners: Generac makes over 40 models of residential generators across six series: The Guardian, Synergy, EcoGen, PowerPact, QuietSource and Protector series. Each model in the homeowner generator category runs on natural gas or liquid propane and sits outside like a typical air conditioning unit. Each model delivers backup power directly to your home’s electrical panel, eliminating the need for extension cords, and runs on your existing natural gas or liquid propane fuel supply so you won’t run out of fuel.

• Generators for business: Generac offers businesses with multiple standby power solutions including gas- and diesel-fueled, bi-fuel and modular power systems. Its single generators offer up to two megawatts of power, while its paralleling systems allow for multiple units to be installed together, offering standby power of up to 7,000 watts.

• Mobile generators: Generac’s line of mobile generators can be fueled by diesel or gas, have a rugged, durable design and come with wheels for easy transportation across multiple types of terrain. Mobile units include generators, light towers, heaters, pumps, water trailers and government/military-used generators, which are customized for remote military locations.

• Mobile remote monitoring: Generac’s residential generators come with Mobile Link remote monitoring. This feature allows you to check your generator's status from your laptop, tablet or smartphone.

• Pricing: Generac has a tool on its website to help you locate the nearest dealer to your location. A dealer's website site generally lists pricing for the models they carry, or you can call for pricing.

• Best for: homeowners or property owners wanting reliable backup power.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Generac Power Systems Company Information

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Let's talk

ConsumerAffairs ranks 562 on Inc. 5000 for 2017

Advertisements on this site are placed and controlled by outside advertising networks. does not evaluate or endorse the products and services advertised. See the FAQ for more information.

The information on our website is general in nature and is not intended as a substitute for competent legal advice. makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information herein provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from the use thereof.