3.9/5 (504 ratings)

About Generac Power Systems

Generac Power Systems Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generac Power Systems?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generac Power Systems?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

I currently have a portable generator Powermate 6000. I've had it for 2wks with 3hrs on it. It is made of cheap material and will not last. 3 hrs of run time and it thru a rod thru the block which is 1/8 of inch thick. I called warranty center and the runaround starts, couldn't answer my question. Could tell they knew nothing about generators. Also they sounding like they wasn't interested in their job. I would steer clear of Generac period. Generators are not worth your time or money. Always have problems and service sucks even on house generjunks. Walk away and find better built machines. My first generjunk and last. Goodluck on warranty work because they will not do it even if it comes with 7 or 10 yr warranty. Don't listen to their lies.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

Purchased a generator to run 2 houses. Generator was installed in October 2021 and only worked for 1 month. Since then, they keep replacing the same parts and even put in a new wiring harness. Nothing has worked. We have been waiting on new parts for 6 weeks, which are the same parts they have replaced numerous times before. We currently have a $22000 piece of yard art. I have an elderly parent that need electricity for his durable medical equipment and every time the power goes out, he can’t use the equipment. We have asked for a replacement unit since it’s obvious after a nearly a year that we got a bad unit, but they keep trying to replace the same parts.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: Sept. 16, 2022

Local Generac installer removed all 4 Generac power management devices and installed alternative power leveler. This was done by their own initiative. Generac corporate was not involved.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

Repeated failure of power management device (also referred to as load leveler) caused household appliances to not work. This experience began 24 months after installation when first load leveler failed taking hot water heater off line. Forty-five days later second unit failed leaving cook top without power. That is 50% failure rate in 2 years for an emergency system! The Generac generator was not providing power to the house when any of the failures occurred. All required maintenance to the system has been performed.

The power management devices have Generac name plates but are classified as "accessories" by the company. They have only 12 month warranty and are not covered under extended warranty. On-line research indicates this is common problem and customers have not been able to get Generac to acknowledge and correct a design error. I cannot recommend Generac for home emergency power back-up. The company has been aware of the power device quality problem for years and has not redesigned the unit or supported customers in taking responsibility for repair.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

Scheduled an appointment to get information on a home generator. Scheduled an appointment and confirmed it with the gentleman three times to make sure I had the correct day and time. The day of the appointment no one showed, call and was told it was for the next day. Amanda came to my house and gave me the information and I put down a deposit. After thinking more about it I decided it was not for me. Amanda scheduled a day to come to my house to give me my cash refund back. She did not show, nor call or even text me that she could not make it. Hours later when she finally answered she had to do something with her son and could not come. Amanda said she would be over the day, another no show nor no call or text that she could not come. No real reason only it was not a good day for her, I had to go to her home and get my refund. This is very unprofessional and not acceptable.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

I had a fellow contractor tell me about your equipment but this has been a very bad experience. First thing the more was shipped with one wheel inflated and the other wheel deflated with the air stem facing outward and on the other wheel it is facing toward the engine. What work made this experience worse, the tire had a puncture and it was deflated. If it was just an air issue that would’ve been OK but when I called and spoke with a Bryan, he was very rude and told me That he was doing me a favor by ordering me another tire. I stayed on the phone for over an hour cause I asked for a return and then they told me I would be responsible for shipping cost of $300 to return the mower.

I called back and talk with Deb who was very courteous and assisted me and getting a replacement tire expeditiously, at that time I told her I would keep the mower. After finally putting oil and gas in the mower it started up fine but then when I push the lever to operate the transmission it is not functioning. I hate that I purchase this mower and it has been nothing but a headache from day one!

Kalor **

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

Buy a Kohler if you can. Horrible customer service. It takes months to get even the simplest thing done, if you can get it done at all. In all of Las Vegas, with 2 million people, there is ONE GUY that can do warranty service! I had mine installed in June of 2021, 14 months ago. During those 14 months it has worked for 2. At first it would crank but not start. They said it was a bad control board, which was replaced. Everything was fine for one month, then it did the same thing. Generac tried to tell me after looking at photos of my install, that my gas line was installed incorrectly. They refused to tell me what was wrong, saying they "didn't know the building codes in my area". I asked how they knew it was wrong, and they said "because their experts reviewed it and noticed a problem" but they would not tell me what the "problem" was and even stopped taking my calls or responding to my emails.

I finally got the tech to come out after agreeing to pay the $250 service call fee, and he said my installation was fine and determined the stepper motor was bad. He replaced it under warranty and did not charge me the service fee because he did find a problem. It took 3 months to get the part and get him back out to replace it. It worked for another month, and then started making a loud squealing noise when it tried to start. I sent him a video, which he sent to Generac, and they said I needed a new starter motor. That was in March. It is now August and I'm still waiting for him to come back out to fix it. He won't answer calls or emails, and his voice mailbox is full so I can't leave a message. I did buy the extended warranty, so I can expect 9 more years of this kind of "customer service". Poor quality product with nonexistent customer service.

Original review: July 22, 2022

I have now bought 3 Generac Generators in the past three years. At first everything seemed great. About a year after we bought the first generator the load shedding device burned up, which was hooked up to one of our two A/Cs. Our first indication was our A/C stopped working (Generator was not running the house at this time). So, we called the A/C people to fix our problem. After $130 service charge, they said it was an electrical issue. So we call the electrician (another $125 service charge). The electrician pinpointed the problem to the Generac load shedding device. Keep in mind our generator only runs for 5 mins a week, and has luckily not been need for any extended period. So because of a faulty circuit card we are now out $255.

Just last week another one of generators did the exact same thing at my mother-in-law's house. We were out of town so my mother-in-law called both the A/C guys followed by the electrician (another $255) and guess what...yep the Generac Load shedding device and another bad circuit card. But wait it gets better, after calling the installers and Generac generators, the part is only covered for one year of the 5 year generator warranty. So now we also have to pay for the service call and the part for the load shedding device to work properly. I cannot wait to deal with this again on our third generator. Bottom line, this company has zero customer service and does not give a crap about their customers, or the problems their crappy devices cause. I will not ever be purchasing another one of these units, nor would I even consider their pathetic extended warranty.

Original review: July 21, 2022

Buyer Beware - Generac Generator and Propane Tank Installation - All-In-One Propane - Leesburg and Electrix electrical Installation. Disappointment does not begin to define my experience with Generac and Electrix! After waiting 13 months to have the propane tank and 22k generator installed and paying $15k, the system has not worked for the last three power outages. Three repairs later and they tell me it "should" work during the next power outage. Well, today, I added the Generac app so I could monitor whether the system was working or not. They have the gall to charge $50 a year for the app to tell me whether their system is working or not!!! This charge was not disclosed anywhere in discussions leading up to the purchase or installation!

Yesterday, I wrote about the new Carrier A/C system we installed. Well, Carrier's app does everything that the Generac app does and does not charge extra. I have asked Generac to reconsider charging for this app self-monitoring. Will advise if they respond. At this time, I do not recommend any of the companies above.

Carrier (Summa and Tonys) and Generac (All-In-One & Electrix) - Two very different experiences!

Original review: July 8, 2022

I have been shopping backup generators for a few years now, and what I have found is that while a Generac backup system costs less than $8000 to purchase, to have it installed by a Generac company is over $20,000!!!!!! A total ripoff, and NOT WORTH IT!!! I suggest you look at Kohler, or find an installation company besides Generac to install a unit that you purchase without installation. You will save literally THOUSANDS of dollars!!!

Original review: July 1, 2022

I was promised a replacement part. It never arrived. They will not respond to my email. Have all the emails to prove my story. They even disallowed my fair and honest (respectfully written). Lots of better companies to purchase power tools from power tools from.

Generac Power Systems author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

For over 50 years, Generac has been making residential standby generators. Today it also makes portable and industrial generators, fully automatic transfer switches and accessories for backup power applications. Consumers can choose from multiple fuel types for their generators and many different series and models based on their specific needs.

• Generators for homeowners: Generac makes over 40 models of residential generators across six series: The Guardian, Synergy, EcoGen, PowerPact, QuietSource and Protector series. Each model in the homeowner generator category runs on natural gas or liquid propane and sits outside like a typical air conditioning unit. Each model delivers backup power directly to your home’s electrical panel, eliminating the need for extension cords, and runs on your existing natural gas or liquid propane fuel supply so you won’t run out of fuel.

• Generators for business: Generac offers businesses with multiple standby power solutions including gas- and diesel-fueled, bi-fuel and modular power systems. Its single generators offer up to two megawatts of power, while its paralleling systems allow for multiple units to be installed together, offering standby power of up to 7,000 watts.

• Mobile generators: Generac’s line of mobile generators can be fueled by diesel or gas, have a rugged, durable design and come with wheels for easy transportation across multiple types of terrain. Mobile units include generators, light towers, heaters, pumps, water trailers and government/military-used generators, which are customized for remote military locations.

• Mobile remote monitoring: Generac’s residential generators come with Mobile Link remote monitoring. This feature allows you to check your generator's status from your laptop, tablet or smartphone.

• Pricing: Generac has a tool on its website to help you locate the nearest dealer to your location. A dealer's website site generally lists pricing for the models they carry, or you can call for pricing.

Generac Power Systems Company Information