2. Miscellaneous

3.9/5 (253 ratings)

About Generac Power Systems

Generac Power Systems Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generac Power Systems?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Generac Power Systems?

Original review: March 22, 2021

I bought the 20KW Generac stand-by generator, the best thing I ever did. Out of the five years I have had it there has been three power outages in my community, the longest one being 4 days and everyone in the neighborhood was coming over to recharge phones, emergency calls to loved ones saying they were ok, asking if they could store medical supplies in garage fridge. The generator worked non stop for the four days, heating the house, 3 fridge and also got to watch DVD movies as cable was out too. I highly recommend it!!!!

Original review: March 20, 2021

Had this generator for over 8 years and is has never failed to fill in for a power outage. With an automatic transfer switch, the generator starts at loss of power and automatically switches to its power mode without having to do anything to its system. When commercial power is restored, it automatically switches back to it and then shuts down. If there was any issue with the generator it would be that it is rather loud but then it is a 30kw generator. I understand that they can be ordered with a noise reduction system but this is not a feature that can be installed in the field. No complaints about power. Always there.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2021

I can always count on my generator. If for any reason the power goes off, within 30 seconds the generator kicks on and I do not have to worry, I have heat or air conditioning, water. Everything we need is still available. I have in winter months had neighbors bring frozen or refrigerator items and have let the folks bathe or shower as needed. The cost of my Generac generator has put us at ease has paid for itself over and over. I recommend no matter what that people need to spend the money and purchase a generator for their whole home.

Original review: March 18, 2021

This generator system was installed specifically as a whole house backup. As such, it has only had to be used 3 times since our purchase (about a year ago) and for less than 2 hours each time (I believe the longest outage last year was 90 minutes). Each of the 3 times it operated flawlessly and the switchover from line to generator power was fast. Beside the outages, there is a maintenance schedule that calls for starting up the generator each month for around 30 minutes. During this 30 or so minutes specific maintenance procedures are performed.

All told, the system has around 16 hrs of run time so far and has had no issues at all. I would recommend Generac for their generators (at least the whole house ones) with one small caveat, although it may cost a small amount (all things considered) to have it professionally installed, do yourself a favor and pay for the installation. My neighbor bought his before I did and asked me to help him install the unit. I'm a retired electrician and between the two of us it took most of the day even though we had coordinated with the electric company prior to the install. Didn't realize you had to do that, there are many, many other things you may not have realized as well. Word to the wise, pay for the install!

Original review: March 10, 2021

We have a Generac Guardian Series 20KW generator - permanent, in-ground, fueled by gas line. Totally satisfied with this brand. We don’t have many power outages, but recently had an outage that lasted almost 3 days in the cold of a NY winter. Generator comes on reliably within 15 or so seconds of a power outage, and provides total power to our 2800 sq. ft. house. The noise level is not annoyingly noticeable. We put it in about 6 -7 years ago and have had no service issues, and have it checked annually. After the last outage, several of our friends and neighbors are in the process of getting one. An investment, but well worth it for the peace of mind! We expect it will also provide a return on investment when we come to sell our home.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

I have purchased several Generac generators and I have just had my first complication. The generator at my main residence is a 16kw about a year and a half old. During the last outage the motor suffered a catastrophic failure. I called to find a service tech who came out and verified that it was in fact DOA. Generac approved a motor replacement and assured me that it would be expedited. Four weeks later and I have no motor. My service tech and I have both reached out to my Generac representative with no response via email or phone. I am without power once again as it has become a standard event. I have no backup generator which means no water as I am on a well. Generac is only concerned with selling generators. They have no interest in service or warranty after the sale. Do yourself a big favor and buy a different brand. It's not if if you will have a problem, it's when and you will be on your own.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Purchased a stand alone 10kw Generac generator in 2013. In August 2021 home power went out. Noticed blue smoke pouring from generator that had turned on. Dealer came and after 1.5 hours determined the motor had gone bad. Generator had a total of less than 20 service hours since 2013. I have riding lawnmowers older than this generator that run well. Now I have to pay for a new motor that is not here as of October. I have since noticed generator companies with a 10 year warranty and 24/7 service.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

We had a Breather Gasket oil leak on our 11KW generator. The cause was the 2 bolts vibrated loose after less than 3 years. Generac wouldn’t cover the repair even though this is a common problem. The fix was a kit with gasket and 2 new bolts with thread lock on them. This problem was stated in the directions for the kit so Generac knows this is a common manufacturing problem. I think it should have been a recall. Generac’s reason for not covering it was our warranty for everything except the power part of the engine had expired. It seems they look for any way to not back their warranty.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

We just had our home generator installed. We called to make sure we had our free 7 year extended warranty. We found out in order to qualify for the free warranty we would have had to initiate the sale through their website or through a special telephone number. Unfortunately, we contacted a local Generac Dealer who came out and assessed our needs, and gave us a quote for installation. We ordered the unit. The response this morning was...."Sorry...you needed to originate from the website not contact the dealer yourself." I am incredibly annoyed. They are warrantying their process not their product. We were warned that Generac was a good product but their customer service, business unit was terrible. Beware. Hopefully, it will work when we need it.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

July 2021 decided to have installed a standby generator. Contacted Generac and was supplied local vendors. Screened out 1-3 via BBB. Contacted one. Was told only do large system not smaller. Contacted 2 more of 1 came to house. Same story. Contacted Generac who stated 26 vendors my area call another and sent same company that originally told me only do top size systems. I then contacted customer service to ask why they did not require vendors to install more than 2 types units or have a list of what who only installs. Never heard back. They then sent me a survey review of my customer service. Really! Bottom line unless you want to spend $14-16K. Or can find a back door service guy Goodluck. They lost me as a customer. Sad to say since I was originally from WI Generac HQ.

Generac Power Systems author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

For over 50 years, Generac has been making residential standby generators. Today it also makes portable and industrial generators, fully automatic transfer switches and accessories for backup power applications. Consumers can choose from multiple fuel types for their generators and many different series and models based on their specific needs.

• Generators for homeowners: Generac makes over 40 models of residential generators across six series: The Guardian, Synergy, EcoGen, PowerPact, QuietSource and Protector series. Each model in the homeowner generator category runs on natural gas or liquid propane and sits outside like a typical air conditioning unit. Each model delivers backup power directly to your home’s electrical panel, eliminating the need for extension cords, and runs on your existing natural gas or liquid propane fuel supply so you won’t run out of fuel.

• Generators for business: Generac offers businesses with multiple standby power solutions including gas- and diesel-fueled, bi-fuel and modular power systems. Its single generators offer up to two megawatts of power, while its paralleling systems allow for multiple units to be installed together, offering standby power of up to 7,000 watts.

• Mobile generators: Generac’s line of mobile generators can be fueled by diesel or gas, have a rugged, durable design and come with wheels for easy transportation across multiple types of terrain. Mobile units include generators, light towers, heaters, pumps, water trailers and government/military-used generators, which are customized for remote military locations.

• Mobile remote monitoring: Generac’s residential generators come with Mobile Link remote monitoring. This feature allows you to check your generator's status from your laptop, tablet or smartphone.

• Pricing: Generac has a tool on its website to help you locate the nearest dealer to your location. A dealer's website site generally lists pricing for the models they carry, or you can call for pricing.

Generac Power Systems Company Information