Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Magic Chef Reviews

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I bought the freezer several weeks ago. Thought we had made a mistake of leaving door open one or 2 times as the food was soft. Everything is still soft - chicken cutlets, steak, Ellios Pizza. What can I do?

Original review: July 22, 2019

This upright freezer was purchased for our clothes garage area by my father-in-law from Home Depot. The first day I did not plug it in. The second day I plugged it in and put it on the recommended setting. Went shopping loaded it with meats. Went back out a week later to pull something and all my meat so soft. So I threw away the meat which was a big waste of money. Unplug the freezer plugged it back in after day and it still never would freeze. I decided since the freezer is less than six months old and just sitting there not being used that I would call to get the company to honor their product.

The girl on the phone was very rude and said that because it is in the garage it Voided my warranty. Most people buy these small upright freezers so that they will have extra space and keep their freezers in the garage I have a refrigerator in my garage right now that works great. I would advise against a company that will treat you poorly when you call over a small freezer. I will push the freezer to the corner for the garbageman to pick up tomorrow and will never purchase a magic chef products again. Great customer service you have.

Get expert buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I'll keep this simple. 2 years ago, I purchased a deep freezer. A small one, from Home Depot. It has completely stopped working. The life expectancy for this APPLIANCE is approx 2 years?? Home Depot shouldn't carry the brand. And the Feds should explore putting them out of business for good. -- I wouldn't be so irate had it not been for two things:

1) I JUST bought this thing (I have other appliances much older, still operating appropriately).

2) ALL of these review mimicking my experience. If it we're just me, then maybe I bought a lemon. Reading all of these similar experiences, shows that this company has a HISTORY of shoddy work.

They shouldn't be allowed to take people's money in exchange for JUNK.. - RCB

Original review: June 10, 2019

This is definitely one purchase that I can truly say I got my money worth. I have never any type of problems whatsoever. I had it since my children were in elementary and I still have it. Best buy ever.

Original review: May 1, 2019

Tried to get service for Warranty, went on chat, told me I had to fill a request out I did. Sent it e-mail and waited. Heard nothing in a week. Got on chat again and they could not find the form I filled out. I told her then give me my money back and they quit the chat. Freaking idiots, poorest equipment I have ever owned. Bought a leak detector and it was leaking to???? Turntable turns slowly or not at all to add to the piece of crap. Then I saw made in China explains it all. Went online to Home Depot where I bought it to file a complaint and heard nothing from Home Depot either. I will never ever buy a Magic Chef anything. Home Depot sells crap and I now go to Lowe's who you don't have to tell them what color underwear you are wearing to get a military discount. My thanks for serving 30 years protecting the USA. Magic Chef disgusting. Home Depot sells crap and does not stand behind it. Just a matter of time for the rest of the USA to wake the hell up.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magic Chef?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I bought a Wine and Beverage cooler side by side with separate control zones twenty two months ago and the temperature was 64 degrees and not cooling. I bought the extended 1 year warranty that I found out is no help to me since they can’t locate a service company for me. I got a service company to come out with $150 charge to tell me the compressor is bad. I called Magic Chef who told me they would send the compressor to a registered service company at no charge but I had to pay the labor and refrigerant which is hard for me to do since they had no list of service companies to share with me. RIDICULOUS! Poor customer service! Never buy another Magic Chef product!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

So I bought an apartment sized MAGIC CHEF refrigerator at Home Depot... IN the first week I had it, the dial Knob in the freezer part broke off completely. I only turned it like twice. Two years later now the refrigerator is dead as a doornail. In fact a doornail has more life in it... I called them to say help me. They said my warranty was no longer valid, but they would mail me a compressor, and I would have to pay someone to put it on... WOW HOW SAD THAT MY 1985 KENMORE REFRIGERATOR THAT I ACCIDENTALLY MELTED A CANDLE WAX ALL OVER THE BACK GRILL IS WHAT IS SAVING ME RIGHT NOW... Thank you for nothing Magic Chef. I would rather rent a man with an ice cube in his mouth to blow on my cold groceries. I hope if I ever see a Magic Chef anything, I can get a hammer and beat it up. Yours truly, a very unsatisfied customer.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I've had this cooler for about 1 1/2 and suddenly stopped cooling. Of course I'm past my 1 yr warranty but I have a 5 year compressor coverage. I paid $55 to get it inspected and they want to charge $350 for labor??? That's what I paid for it! I asked if they can send me the compressor. I will have someone else do it and Magic Chef Warranty department will NOT mail it to me. NEVER NEVER NEVER going to purchase another Magic Chef Appliance.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have recently purchased your countertop ice maker. Though it does produce ice quickly, it is the noisiest machine in my house. I enjoy living in my camper, and this product is exactly what I need due to only having a very small fridge and freezer. My major complaint is that it is very noisy. You can hear motors running and pumps running. Sometimes they're so loud, I'll have to turn up my tv. The product is great but sure could use some improvements.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

After plugging this product in and ensuring that the thermostat/temperature was at middle to high level, we loaded food. We heard it turn on and felt a bit of cold. So, we assumed all was good. NOT! The refrigerator would run for a second or two and then turn off. We did not know this until the next morning when we opened it and all of our food went bad and had to be thrown out. When I contacted the company asking if we could get compensated for the loss of food, I was told no. When I asked if we could get compensated for gas for having to return the product, I was told no. The company had the nerve to say that it would fix the refrigerator under the product warranty to save us gas to bring it back to the store. NOT ONCE DID THE COMPANY REPRESENTATIVE EVEN SAY "SORRY", and we had several emails. I will never purchase a Magic Chef product again.

Magic Chef expert review by Jonathan Trout

Magic Chef got its start over 85 years ago and today makes a variety of kitchen and home comfort appliances. It offers several models of upright and chest freezers that range from 3.0 to 9.0 cubic feet. They also sell a portable freezer. Check Magic Chef’s website for places to buy their products.

• Upright freezer: Magic Chef’s 3.0 cubic foot upright chest freezer includes an adjustable temperature control and manual defrost. It has a reversible, recessed door handle; two wire shelves; and a completely flat back for placement flexibility.

• 6.9 cubic foot freezer: The 6.9 cubic foot chest freezer is designed with a flush back to fit up against most walls. It features an adjustable temperature control, manual defrost, recessed door handle and indicator lights to let you know the unit is running.

• Warranties: Both models come with a 1-year parts and labor warranty and a 5-year warranty on the compressor.

• Manuals: Magic Chef includes both models of chest freezers manuals online for easy access to instructions and product registration.

• Videos: Videos explaining each feature for both models are available online.

• Best for: consumers needing a compact chest freezer.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout