Magic Chef

Compare Appliances

Research top Appliances recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

On this past Thanksgiving Day, 11/24/2016, our countertop microwave starting running by itself. I opened the door and it stopped. Shortly, thereafter, it started running again. We found the inside and outside of the microwave to be extremely hot and we unplugged it immediately. The Model Number is MCD1611ST. We purchased the Magic Chef microwave about 2 1/2 years ago from Home Depot. There were other times previous to this incident that whenever we used the unit it would blow the circuit breaker.

My Magic Chef over-the-range microwave caught on fire while in the "timer" mode. I was cooking on the stove below and set the timer on the microwave as I normally do. No food was inside the microwave. Then after a few minutes the microwave automatically activated into VENT FAN mode by itself, which usually does happen from heat from the stovetop. In the manual this is a normal "safety function" to cool down the microwave from the heat from the stovetop.

I soon began to smell something burning. I opened the microwave and there were flames inside. I ran & shut the circuit breaker off and my husband was able to put out the flames. The glass turntable was shattered & burnt; the rubber gasket was on fire and the bottom of the inside of the microwave was burnt & charred. Good thing I was in the house when this happened. Otherwise the fire would have spread throughout the kitchen & possibly burning down the house. Very scary incident.

I purchased this microwave 1.1 cu.ft. counter top microwave oven on 7-28-2016. It is now 9-18-2016 less than 2 months and this microwave has been making noises when in use for the past 3 weeks. What are you going to do about this? I purchased the microwave at Home Depot.

Purchased the microwave when my 30 year old GE microwave died in October 2015 and no parts were available. The only service in 30 years was replacement of a light bulb. Saw an ad in the local paper in early November for a Magic Chef for $54.88 + tax at Wal-Mart in Buffalo, MN. The unit died in mid-January. About 60 days in my kitchen after being used to heat up occasional cups of coffee or heating water or soups or defrosting frozen stuff. 60 days!!! I've had dogs run over by cars that lived for 10 years afterward.

Called MC customer service whereupon they directed me to a service center 30 miles SW of my home. They confirmed with me that the microwave was built within the previous 12 months, so it would be repaired under warranty, even though I did not have a proof of purchase. I took the unit to the service center which turned out to be a part-time appliance repair shop which was empty of any appliances until I brought the dead MC microwave in. That was a 60 mile round trip.

Ten days later the MC customer service called to tell me there were no parts available for the unit. They would send me a new microwave but I must pay the $29.30(?) shipping cost. After I had a conversation with Wal-Mart Customer Service, Magic Chef customer service called me again and said I would receive a new microwave after I drove back to the service center, retrieved the microwave, cut off the power cord, took a photo of it and the serial/model number plate and emailed it to them. Thinking about it on the way home with the junk microwave, I considered whether having another oven for which there were no replacement parts available was wise. I decided it was not so went to Wal-Mart with the oven to try to get a store credit to buy another oven.

I won't even add the experience of talking to the Buffalo, MN Wal-mart store assistant manager about Wal-mart taking the unit back, giving me a store credit. They would not give me a store credit because I did not know what the PUC code for the product was. It was printed on the microwave carton and on the proof of purchase, neither of which I had. After this experience I came to understand why Wal-Mart can't find any employees for their stores. The search for a 17% bottom line profit exceeds customer service. According to an online story last week, the Waltons received over 5 billion dollars for their share of the chain.

I bought a Magic Chef model number MCO165UW, it stopped working without warning just over two months since I got it. It won't power-up even if I try it on different outlets, nothing is working. After reading all of these comments, I have a very bad taste in my mouth for this product. I just wasted my money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magic Chef?

Magic Chef Chest Freezer 6.9 cubic Ft Model HMCF7W2 - I purchased this freezer on October 11, 2015 because it seemed to be an amazing bargain!! Well I learned BUYER BEWARE, not only did my freezer stop working in 65 days but Magic Chef said they do not cover content and if I would have read the manual completely I would know that contents are not covered. Home Depot said even though it is under warranty the only way they would cover the content is if I spent the money to buy an extended warranty.

It is amazing that a unit under warranty and less than 90 days old would only totally be covered under warranty if you bought a Home Depot extended warranty!!! I lost over $300 in food! Neither Magic Chef or Home Depot were sympathetic to this outcome! Stay away from this appliance, spend money for a quality unit manufactured by a quality company! Remember Cheap is Cheap.

I purchased a Magic Chef Microwave in 2006. Almost 10 years later it's still running! I've never had any trouble! Although I don't see a lot of good reviews on them, I feel I did get one of the best they made!

Hi, I recently bought a microwave from the home depot. One week in, the plastic film over the push control buttons started cracking and peeling off. I really like the microwave, it looks really bad though. Unsatisfied. Model HMM1611ST .530171700160.

I received this item as a gift last year for my birthday in June. I am the only one using this product. The other night I heated up a bowl of soup and it worked fine. Tonight I tried to heat up a tv dinner and nothing. No matter what I tried it would not heat. The lights come on and the carousel goes round but no heat. After reading the other reviews I don't even want to get it fixed for fear they will put in another defective part and it will cause a house fire. Poor quality parts - just another way to cheat the American Consumers.

I bought a Magic Chef microwave, Model No. HMD1110W, less than two months ago. I have had a problem two other times with it shutting off for no apparent reason. I was cooking some rice tonight, and midway through cooking at 50 percent power, it happened again. The outside of the unit felt very hot, and when I opened the door, I noticed a burnt plastic smell. Now I'm afraid to use it at all.

Our 2009 Puma RV came with a magic chef microwave oven installed. We only use the RV about 3 weeks each summer so this microwave had very little use on it. We woke up in the middle of the night by the sound of a beeper going off. We did not fully realize what was going on until a short time later when I heard the microwave running and jumped out of bed to open the door and turn it off. It started again by itself that afternoon. This was a very frightening experience. It could of set the camper on fire. I want to warn others who may have travel trailers with this microwave.

Paint chipped off inside door and rusted. Rust continues on the inside of the door and inside of the oven there is large dark areas of rust starting under the paint.

I purchased the fridge in January 2015 in Home Depot, 7 month later in July it broke... for the second time! On the second day after purchase the fridge started making high pitch noise and Home Depot replaced it fairly quickly. However the worst thing is not the fact that this "refrigerator" is a very unreliable product, the worst thing is Magic Chef or how they also call themselves MC Appliance or MCA Corporation is the fact that they don't care about their warranty responsibilities at all!

However 7 month later I wasn't as lucky. The first time I scheduled the service call I waited on my only weekend from 9 to 5 at home and nobody showed up. When I called them the next day, they told me that my service call was cancelled but they don't know why!!! When I asked them to reschedule to the nearest available date, they told me that they have to talk to the maintenance people. Then I called back again and they told me that they don't have my information! Now you can imagine what kind of company this is.

Now about the cost. Yes it's cheap but once your fridge breaks you lose all your groceries because they rot. I lost $150 worth of recently purchased groceries. Then you would have to eat outside. Because of this "wonderful" company I am eating outside for already 3 weeks, spending about $20 a day on 2 meals. All together I spent on the food about $550. If I subtract the cost of groceries I would have purchased, the amount of money I WASTED because of this company totals to about $300! While the price of the fridge is $324. My advice stay away from Magic Chef products as far as possible, pay extra $300 and buy a high quality product. Otherwise there is a good chance you'd stay without a fridge, forced spending money on the outside food for weeks!

We purchase our Magic Chef NCD1311ST microwave oven in November of 2014. Within a few months, it was having heating issues - not heating in the middle. You had to place things off centered for them to heat. This week (July of 2015) the microwave shot sparks during heating. After we took the food out, a few minutes later we smelled an electrical fire and looked and it was smoking. This is day 3 now waiting on Magic Chef to tell me where to take it for "repair." From what I have been reading, I don't want it repaired, even though that is my only option. These appliances are going to hurt someone or burn a house down. This company has horrible customer service.

I purchased a Magic Chef 1.1 cu. ft. Digital Microwave, Stainless Steel, MCM1110ST from Walmart in Brunswick GA. in Feb. 2014. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that when you opened the door it would switch on and run until you closed the door. I attempted to find a number to call the company unsuccessfully. Then today July 26, 2015 I noticed that although the timer will come on, the microwave is not working. Although I know that nothing lasts forever, I did expect it to last at least 2 years (my last one lasted almost 13 years). The comments on the Walmart site were positive so I thought it would be a decent microwave. The next one I will have to research a little better because either the people hadn't had them very long are they were expecting a lot less from it than I was!

I've had the microwave for years, it works, but if I actually used the microwave to any real level of use I'm sure it'd be dead by now. Everything you heat takes twice as long as any other microwave, despite having the same rated levels. Popcorn, which I usually air pop, is 2x as long as the bag says, then the internal circuit breaker trips and you're left with a lot of unpopped kernels. The fan never vented from day 1. The lightbulbs broke underneath and there is no room to get anything in there to replace them. The plastic fan grill randomly broke off one day, the handle broke off too. It's just a piece of trash. If I did anything more than defrost frozen bread in it I'd have to replace it.

I had a warranty claim which was accepted by them on a microwave. They told me to take it to the warranty repair shop which I did. The microwave has been in there for 2 months now and it's still not fixed and the shop doesn't know when it will be fixed. The shop keeps telling me they are waiting for parts from Magic Chef. Shame on them for not fixing my microwave. Now I have to go buy another!

Magic Chef Microwave 1.1 - I only had it 4.5 months and it stop working completely, and I can't access their website or nothing. Not a good product.

Magic Chef 1.6 cu ft Model MCD1611ST - Bought microwave at Menards. Worked well for about 14 months then switch membrane went bad. Start button stopped working. Bought another switch membrane from a Magic Chef parts store, MC Appliance. I suspected that one was a problem due to scratches. Out of desperation I put it in anyway. That pad didn't last 2 weeks, same issue. I research on the internet and find out DAEWOO the membrane manufacturer has had massive problems with that very pad. If I would have only known. Neither Magic Chef nor the other company warrantied the microwave or the part. This thing is absolute junk and I highly recommend NOT to BUY ONE.

I purchased a Magic Chef Microwave (MCM990W/B) in 2013 and was satisfied with it. Until today April 18, 2015, out of the blue it started acting badly and sound like it was going to blow up. I unplugged it, cleaned out the inside which was not dirty, wiped it dry and waited to turn it back on for a good while. Checked manual for anything else that could have been wrong. Nothing found so I turned back on and tried again and it was even worse. I won't be able to get it fixed because warranty is over, now I already have to buy a new one after just two years. Last one I had was a cheap one that lasted for 10 yrs and still worked with no problems, just wanted something new. I was reading other reviews that others had same problem. I think something should be done about it before someone gets hurt. If an elderly person has that happen they may panic and run off before turning it off or unplugging it. I'm so disappointed because I don't have money to burn either trying to buy another one.

Microwave rusted inside within a month. It looks inside like I've had it a lifetime. I have only had it few years. It quits in middle whenever it pleases. It blew fuse and ruined my outlet. Rewired cord and outlet. Put in a new fuse only to put something in for 50 sec and quit again after 2 seconds.

Microwave Model MCM995KB - We had this for about several months and the other day it flared up like it was going to explode. This appliance isn't over a year old and it has flared up again yesterday. Would never buy another magic chef item again.

Set to bake a potato and it caught fire in the microwave. The time to cook was over 9 minutes which I thought was high but since it was programmed with that I thought it would be OK. Lots of smoke when I opened the door. Inside full of smoke residue. The unit was purchased about 7 months ago. Very frightening experience!

We purchased a Magic Chef chest freezer, Model HMCF7W2 on November 23, 2014 at a local Home Depot. Recently, we noticed that frost is building up on the rubber seal by the lid. We believe the seal is bad. We talked to Home Depot and the clerk suggested we contact you directly. He said the freezer should be under warranty. We haven't had it in use for more than 60+ days and would like to know what we can do to rectify this. Their return policy ends 2/21/2015.

Emailed - two week delay with silly questions. Phoned - asked to send receipt which I did - they called to say they could not verify receipt. Go to store I purchased it from to get another receipt. Seriously my time is valuable. They obviously do not want to send a service rep out to repair a 6 month old 10 cu ft fridge and their solution is to give customer the royal runaround. So frustrated beyond human tolerance. They win - fridge remains unrepaired, I have better things to do than spend a month trying to get service.

I bought a house with a Magic Chef oven MCO160UB. A couple of months ago, I saw smoke curling out from behind the control panel then the oven went dead. I thought 'Wow! That's weird'. So being an electrical engineer I opened it up to investigate. The power wire to the door switch was fried off. Let me repeat this more clearly: the copper stranding was even burnt apart - like splatter unwelded. So without questioning, I fixed it and feeling pretty good about this minor fix. Then 4 months later, the oven goes south and won't turn on. This could be the door switch? No, the control panel works. But press the start button and oven goes dark, dead.

So now I pursue the repair until I get to this site. What a fool I was for replacing the wire. I could have caused an unattended fire. The oven is now off the wall and in the trash. I will purchase from a different manufacturer. Let me state a revelation here: after reading the posts about manufacturer then replace them. Also, I believe these units are not fully tested for operation above ranges. The instructions [recommend] 30". My unit is 24". Not my doing. But still no posters relayed what type of range it sits above, as in what type of heating element. Or better yet is the range a different manufacturer? Stop and think about that.

Do you think Magic Chef tested the units above other manufacturer's ranges? I think not. Why? All ranges are the same! A stove is a stove. Really? But not all manufacturers are. So that being said, I believe we are victims of NFT (not fully tested). 'Nuff said.

I had a Magic Chef Microwave oven that was purchased seven months ago that started to get very loud and you could see that it was then fan through the back vents. It had become off balance. Magic Chef service rep was very rude and told me that I had to drive an hour and five minutes to the nearest repair shop to drop it off to be fixed. It would be cheaper to buy a new one than to drive to Orlando twice.

I purchased a Magic Chef Microwave less than two years ago. It started shutting off and then resetting. I can't cook anything for long than 3 or 4 minutes! The screen goes blank, then maybe 5 minutes later it beeps and the power comes back on! I've never had a microwave break down so quickly. We have one at work that I bought in 1984 and it's still going! The one we had at home was close to 20 years when it went. Both were Sears Kenmore brand. No more Magic Crap for me!

Magic Chef microwave Model MCO165UW - Just had new unit installed today & would not work. Tried all troubleshoot, nothing worked. It is installed correctly & has power but will not turn on. Acts as if there is no power going to it. Would never purchase Magic Chef again. Just paid big bucks to have installed. Now out what I paid for unit & service man. I am disgusted.

Model MCD1311ST microwave oven - Spotty heating performance. Repairman fixed it and after less than a year, the same problem is back.

Magic Chef Company Profile