1.48/5
Based on 119 reviews that contain star ratings

247 Magic Chef Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have recently purchased your countertop ice maker. Though it does produce ice quickly, it is the noisiest machine in my house. I enjoy living in my camper, and this product is exactly what I need due to only having a very small fridge and freezer. My major complaint is that it is very noisy. You can hear motors running and pumps running. Sometimes they're so loud, I'll have to turn up my tv. The product is great but sure could use some improvements.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

After plugging this product in and ensuring that the thermostat/temperature was at middle to high level, we loaded food. We heard it turn on and felt a bit of cold. So, we assumed all was good. NOT! The refrigerator would run for a second or two and then turn off. We did not know this until the next morning when we opened it and all of our food went bad and had to be thrown out. When I contacted the company asking if we could get compensated for the loss of food, I was told no. When I asked if we could get compensated for gas for having to return the product, I was told no. The company had the nerve to say that it would fix the refrigerator under the product warranty to save us gas to bring it back to the store. NOT ONCE DID THE COMPANY REPRESENTATIVE EVEN SAY "SORRY", and we had several emails. I will never purchase a Magic Chef product again.

Get expert buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2018

DO NOT BUY this product (Magic Chef Dual Zone Wine and Beverage Center). I bought 1.5 years ago from Home Depot. It stopped cooling... the temperature would go up a degree every day. When calling Home Depot, they said the manufacturer warranty of one year expired, but the five year compressor warranty was good. After being referred to their repair center, I was basically told this unit is not worth the repair because the repairs (labor) would exceed the cost to replace the unit. We are now out of pocket $500 and having to purchase a new one (which by the way is hard to get a unit to fit in the undercounter/cabinet specs that this one has). Even more unbelievable, is after all the negative reviews I am now seeing, Home Depot continues to carry this product.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Great apt. size frig. 24W X 24D. No ugly back coils. 10CF Holds lots of food in freezer and in frig part. GLASS shelves. 2 plastic veggie drawers at the bottom. Good shelves on door. Deep enough for 2 gallon cartons. STAR energy saver.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I've had my freezer for several years. It's the best appliance I've ever owned. We've never had to have it serviced not once. The downside for me it's too large for us now the boys are grown and I haven't found one like it smaller. But we love this freezer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magic Chef?

Original review: May 30, 2018

My freezer in my refrigerator just was not large enough to accommodate extra food that I needed to freeze. I saw that the Magic Chef was on sale at Home Depot for $99.00 so I went and purchased it. It is not very large but just large enough to freeze extra food that I might need to make ahead for Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. when I have extra company. I have had the freezer for 1 year and it has never given me any problems.

Original review: April 14, 2018

We purchased a Magic Chef 8.8 CU. FT. Upright Freezer (MCUF88W) about three years ago. It stopped working. With my limited knowledge of electronics I suspected the compressor went bad. I was happy to see that the compressor was under a 5-year (parts only) warranty. Now the problem. They can only send the part to a licensed appliance repair professional. I understand that based on the refrigerant handling and tools required to replace the part. I spoke with a local repair company and they refused to give me an estimate for the labor until they confirmed it was the compressor. Against my better judgment, I scheduled a service call for $70. It turned out to be the compressor and I was quoted $505.68 for labor to replace the compressor. I only paid $300 for the freezer in the first place. I will also be writing a review of the appliance repair company.

The 5-year compressor warranty is only a tool to make the consumer feel like they have some sort of protection. It is impossible to replace the part for less cost than buying a brand new freezer. I spoke with customer service about this issue and they were incredibly unsympathetic and rude, basically telling me "sorry for your luck". I made some mistakes in this process, like scheduling the service call and not purchasing the retail stores extended warranty, but I will not be buying another Magic Chef product based on my experience.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I ordered a Magic Chef portable ice cube maker, and I have had it about 3 and 1/2 months. But, alas, it has gone belly up. I ordered it from Fingerhut, and they do not take returns, and referred me to Magic Chef. Whereupon they told me I had to go back to the seller, Fingerhut. The great run-around. So, I'm out $232.97, and I refuse to pay. Does anyone know any recourse I have?

Original review: March 11, 2018

Wine and beverage center MCWBC77DZC - I was not happy with the way Magic Chef handled this whole situation. This is the poorest customer service I have ever received from your employees and upper management all the way to the supervisor. This is The most dysfunctional Organization this Company could give to Consumer. Even if you hire outside contractors you are solely responsible for their actions as well as anybody else’s actions. It all reflects back to your company in this warranty and you need to hold someone accountable. That is the problem with Companies these days. No one has the backbone to tell the truth about how customer service is And if you do tell the truth. Does the company even doing about it.

My experience “no.” I feel your warranty is as good as the piece of paper it was written on. Be truthful and just tell the consumer you don’t have a Warranty. My opinion you need to restructure your whole warranty department. For the Poor management skills. And you need to look into updating and being more involved on contractors and making them communicate with the customer. You tell someone 9 am to 5:00 pm. That is not Considered a appointment that is hours of operation or Service. Definition of an appointment is a arrangement to meet someone at a particular time and place. In conclusion I am not satisfied of your product and I question if you really care about what you are selling to the consumer. This situation was never resolved. Totally unsatisfied customer.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

This Magic Chef dishwasher has stood by me for a long time. It is about 21 years old and still does a good job of cleaning. We have yet to replace any part on it. That says a lot to me about quality. Of course, its looks are a bit outdated. I probably will buy Magic Chef the next time I buy one too.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Magic Chef Black HMM1611B - This microwave has a deceiving front panel! A button should activate the popcorn option. The result of trying to use the button for popcorn button results in a burnt bag with destroyed popcorn inside! Making popcorn in a microwave is paramount in this family! By putting this button on the front facing control panel; and then in a operating instructions; thus warns NOT to make popcorn in this microwave! We wish we never purchased this Magic Chef machine!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I bought a Magic Chef mini fridge exactly 13 months ago and the compressor stopped working. It would come back on intermittently only if you shook the fridge back and forth and that is for about 2 hours. The refrigerator has never been overloaded. Not has the door been open and closed a bunch of times in 24 hours. It gets extremely hot during the summer time where I've been running a fan in front of it. I'm extremely upset with CSR. They will warranty the compressor but I have to pay labor! This is extremely not acceptable at all. Everything in the back of the fridge is clean (no debris, no dog hair, no dust, Nothing!). I bought at Home Depot 11/27/2016.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

It's an electric stove. It burns everything. The burners are covered so whenever you turn it down you have to take the pot off, put it on the other burner for it to cool off, then wait for 5 minutes for it to cool down then continue, especially if you are cooking rice. The worst stove I have ever come across.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

This (Magic Chef wine fridge dual zone mcw44DZ) was bought from Home Depot about 5 years ago for about $450.00 (going by memory). It was installed in an under counter cabinet alcove with required clearances. It has always been warm and heated up the counter top above it despite the 1" air gap around it. This last year it has felt even warmer than usual and we became concerned. Today I emptied it and pulled it out. After I unplugged it and spent 10 minutes emptying it, 10 minutes getting it out, and a couple more minutes before I went to garage for infrared temp gun, back panel at compressor location was 119*!!! It was probably well over 125* at the beginning of that process. That is crazy heat.

I am not putting it back in. I am sure my electric bill will go down now. Otherwise, it has keep wine chilled as it should, but figure it was $90-100.00 a year depreciation, plus ridiculous electric usage, so maybe +/- $10 a month for "cooled" wine? My wines aren't that expensive. For us mere mortals and our $10-20.00 a bottle tastes, the storage costs make no sense. You really NEED to be buying pricey wines to amortize the costs over.

Original review: March 15, 2017

I purchased the Magic Chef 5.2 chest freezer a year ago model HMCF5W2. This is a HORRIBLE product. Not only did it stop working in less than a year. The customer service department offered minimal help in trying to rectify the situation. Granted it is only a $200 freezer, but lasting less than a year is totally a ripoff. The customer service agent offered to send a repairman to look at the freezer, but stated they are only responsible for the compressor and I would be responsible for the labor. Again, a $200 freezer, labor would have been well over that. I cannot express enough how disappointed I am in this product. Not only did I lose money on buying it. I lost the total cost of the food that was inside it. BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: March 4, 2017

Our Magic Chef microwave that is about 3 years old, started making a weird noise and was running on its own today. We unplugged it quickly, opened the microwave and there was smoke everywhere. Luckily, we were in the kitchen or our house would have burned down. This microwave should not be sold! Home Depot needs to discontinue selling this brand. We will never purchase anything that is Magic Chef.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

Warranty is worthless. I purchased a Magic Chef chest freezer from Home Depot in November, 2015 and it stopped working in December, 2016. The compressor froze up and several hundred dollars worth of meat was ruined by the time I noticed it. I call the Magic Chef warranty service center and then because it was over one year old, by one month, they will only warranty the compressor not including labor to replace it. I would have to find an authorized service center, take it to them, pay them to diagnose the problem and then Magic Chef will send them a new compressor that I have to pay the labor to install and fill with Freon. The cost of all this is more than a new freezer will cost. They also will do nothing about the ruined food that the piece of junk freezer destroyed. I will never purchase anything with the Magic Chef name on it and would recommend others be warned about this company's poor quality and worse warranty.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

Magic Chef model#MCM111OST: This microwave has turned dangerous. I don't believe this is even 2 yrs old. The unit will not shut off with the door open and no feature chosen. How can this brand still be allowed to be on the shelf. Upon looking into my situation I have found a number of complaints on this make along with other model numbers as well. Some customers' unit caught on fire. Now I have to worry if I keep it plugged in will it start to run while I'm sleeping.

So bizarre what corners are being cut when making products today. I have owned several different units throughout my life which have lasted for years and have never experienced anything like I have with this unit. I see that these units are still being sold. Just how much damage need to be done before they recall them. I can tell that Magic Chef could care less. Now I need a new one and know I'm going to eat this purchase. Where do I start. Who do I trust. It's really sad in what this world has come to. I guess this is what we have to put up with if we chose our wonderful modern technically. So I guess the bottom line is nothing is ever made to last. Not even for 2 full years!! So SAD!!!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

This microwave fits in my very small kitchen nicely and does an excellent job. I use it every day for something. Just wish I could have had a slightly larger size that would accommodate my larger baking dishes. Just no room to put it. This microwave looks nice and is easy to use. It has all the features of a larger unit with rotating plate, easy to read touch pad and quiet operation, and large number readout and well-lighted panel. It is easy to clean. Great for my small apartment.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

Bought at Home Depot. Large microwave. I have a tall coffee carafe. This microwave fit it with room to spare. Can't program it to turn on in the morning, but wife & I decided we could live with that. Worked well enough for 10 months. Then it went blank. Thought it might be the outlet. No. It was the microwave. Now it doesn't even tell the time. Dead. Dead. Dead.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

On this past Thanksgiving Day, 11/24/2016, our countertop microwave starting running by itself. I opened the door and it stopped. Shortly, thereafter, it started running again. We found the inside and outside of the microwave to be extremely hot and we unplugged it immediately. The Model Number is MCD1611ST. We purchased the Magic Chef microwave about 2 1/2 years ago from Home Depot. There were other times previous to this incident that whenever we used the unit it would blow the circuit breaker.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

My Magic Chef over-the-range microwave caught on fire while in the "timer" mode. I was cooking on the stove below and set the timer on the microwave as I normally do. No food was inside the microwave. Then after a few minutes the microwave automatically activated into VENT FAN mode by itself, which usually does happen from heat from the stovetop. In the manual this is a normal "safety function" to cool down the microwave from the heat from the stovetop.

I soon began to smell something burning. I opened the microwave and there were flames inside. I ran & shut the circuit breaker off and my husband was able to put out the flames. The glass turntable was shattered & burnt; the rubber gasket was on fire and the bottom of the inside of the microwave was burnt & charred. Good thing I was in the house when this happened. Otherwise the fire would have spread throughout the kitchen & possibly burning down the house. Very scary incident.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

I purchased this microwave 1.1 cu.ft. counter top microwave oven on 7-28-2016. It is now 9-18-2016 less than 2 months and this microwave has been making noises when in use for the past 3 weeks. What are you going to do about this? I purchased the microwave at Home Depot.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2016

Purchased the microwave when my 30 year old GE microwave died in October 2015 and no parts were available. The only service in 30 years was replacement of a light bulb. Saw an ad in the local paper in early November for a Magic Chef for $54.88 + tax at Wal-Mart in Buffalo, MN. The unit died in mid-January. About 60 days in my kitchen after being used to heat up occasional cups of coffee or heating water or soups or defrosting frozen stuff. 60 days!!! I've had dogs run over by cars that lived for 10 years afterward.

Called MC customer service whereupon they directed me to a service center 30 miles SW of my home. They confirmed with me that the microwave was built within the previous 12 months, so it would be repaired under warranty, even though I did not have a proof of purchase. I took the unit to the service center which turned out to be a part-time appliance repair shop which was empty of any appliances until I brought the dead MC microwave in. That was a 60 mile round trip.

Ten days later the MC customer service called to tell me there were no parts available for the unit. They would send me a new microwave but I must pay the $29.30(?) shipping cost. After I had a conversation with Wal-Mart Customer Service, Magic Chef customer service called me again and said I would receive a new microwave after I drove back to the service center, retrieved the microwave, cut off the power cord, took a photo of it and the serial/model number plate and emailed it to them. Thinking about it on the way home with the junk microwave, I considered whether having another oven for which there were no replacement parts available was wise. I decided it was not so went to Wal-Mart with the oven to try to get a store credit to buy another oven.

I won't even add the experience of talking to the Buffalo, MN Wal-mart store assistant manager about Wal-mart taking the unit back, giving me a store credit. They would not give me a store credit because I did not know what the PUC code for the product was. It was printed on the microwave carton and on the proof of purchase, neither of which I had. After this experience I came to understand why Wal-Mart can't find any employees for their stores. The search for a 17% bottom line profit exceeds customer service. According to an online story last week, the Waltons received over 5 billion dollars for their share of the chain.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2016

I bought a Magic Chef model number MCO165UW, it stopped working without warning just over two months since I got it. It won't power-up even if I try it on different outlets, nothing is working. After reading all of these comments, I have a very bad taste in my mouth for this product. I just wasted my money.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

Magic Chef Chest Freezer 6.9 cubic Ft Model HMCF7W2 - I purchased this freezer on October 11, 2015 because it seemed to be an amazing bargain!! Well I learned BUYER BEWARE, not only did my freezer stop working in 65 days but Magic Chef said they do not cover content and if I would have read the manual completely I would know that contents are not covered. Home Depot said even though it is under warranty the only way they would cover the content is if I spent the money to buy an extended warranty.

It is amazing that a unit under warranty and less than 90 days old would only totally be covered under warranty if you bought a Home Depot extended warranty!!! I lost over $300 in food! Neither Magic Chef or Home Depot were sympathetic to this outcome! Stay away from this appliance, spend money for a quality unit manufactured by a quality company! Remember Cheap is Cheap.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2015

I purchased a Magic Chef Microwave in 2006. Almost 10 years later it's still running! I've never had any trouble! Although I don't see a lot of good reviews on them, I feel I did get one of the best they made!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2015

Hi, I recently bought a microwave from the home depot. One week in, the plastic film over the push control buttons started cracking and peeling off. I really like the microwave, it looks really bad though. Unsatisfied. Model HMM1611ST .530171700160.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2015

I received this item as a gift last year for my birthday in June. I am the only one using this product. The other night I heated up a bowl of soup and it worked fine. Tonight I tried to heat up a tv dinner and nothing. No matter what I tried it would not heat. The lights come on and the carousel goes round but no heat. After reading the other reviews I don't even want to get it fixed for fear they will put in another defective part and it will cause a house fire. Poor quality parts - just another way to cheat the American Consumers.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2015

I bought a Magic Chef microwave, Model No. HMD1110W, less than two months ago. I have had a problem two other times with it shutting off for no apparent reason. I was cooking some rice tonight, and midway through cooking at 50 percent power, it happened again. The outside of the unit felt very hot, and when I opened the door, I noticed a burnt plastic smell. Now I'm afraid to use it at all.

Magic Chef expert review by Jonathan Trout

Magic Chef got its start over 85 years ago and today makes a variety of kitchen and home comfort appliances. It offers several models of upright and chest freezers that range from 3.0 to 9.0 cubic feet. They also sell a portable freezer. Check Magic Chef’s website for places to buy their products.

• Upright freezer: Magic Chef’s 3.0 cubic foot upright chest freezer includes an adjustable temperature control and manual defrost. It has a reversible, recessed door handle; two wire shelves; and a completely flat back for placement flexibility.

• 6.9 cubic foot freezer: The 6.9 cubic foot chest freezer is designed with a flush back to fit up against most walls. It features an adjustable temperature control, manual defrost, recessed door handle and indicator lights to let you know the unit is running.

• Warranties: Both models come with a 1-year parts and labor warranty and a 5-year warranty on the compressor.

• Manuals: Magic Chef includes both models of chest freezers manuals online for easy access to instructions and product registration.

• Videos: Videos explaining each feature for both models are available online.

• Best for: consumers needing a compact chest freezer.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout