2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Magic Chef Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magic Chef?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magic Chef?

Original review: March 24, 2021

This freezer really fits the bill. I have it in a storage building with little insulation and it has run perfectly summer and winter...just the right size as well and with the sliding baskets it holds more than it looks.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

I’ve had my stove/oven for over 31 years. It has operated properly for the duration. I’ve never had to have it service. The only thing that I would suggest is that the numbers on the dials be raised or etched on. After many washings the paint has worn off. I would recommend this product to others.

Get buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

Was in my newly purchased home when I moved in. I had never had a Magic Chef range before now and I normally do not like gas ANYTHING, however, I Love and adore this white one. It's so clean, easy to clean, and fast cooking. I especially like that I can easily ascertain the instruction dials, very user friendly. Setting and preheating the oven is a breeze because with some ovens you can't really tell if it the clock dial or when the preset of off or has even started!! I can quickly cook my large turkey and pies. I also love that it's American made. I will most definitely look for another Magic Chef range if this one ever gives out or if I happen to relocate. I believe that last family used it for about 20 years, however, it doesn't look like it. I have never had to call for service or any kind of repairs. I definitely recommend this range!!! Happy Home!.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

The smaller than average size works for us, as we live in a small home. I like the ease it has with electronic keypad buttons to select temps and timers. Only issue I have is it doesn't seem to heat as high a temp as I set it for, I usually have to either cook longer or set temp higher. That is only complaint however.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

So our fridge did break after 8 months and they don't have any service providers out here but their customer service is great. They will send out the fan and control board with instructions. I didn't have to wait 9 months as I did with LG being lied to by call centers and people overseas laughing at our situation. It was like a breath of fresh air. Even with it breaking faster than the LG unit I would always buy this product instead because they operated with ethics, honesty, and alacrity. You have to go through an experience with LG to fully appreciate the difference. Thank God there are still some good companies out there.

Original review: March 9, 2021

It is compact. The Compact Refrigerators are a simple solution for keeping things cold in any space, large or small. Modern design. Compressor cooling system for a consistently cool temperature. Recessed handle for easy opening and closing.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

My home is very old, (1967) the very old Magic chef dishwasher is still in working condition and I’m very pleased with it. If I could purchase another one just like the one in my kitchen now, I would.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

Glass top electric not easy to learn to use after having a gas stove but it cleans beautifully inside and on the top. I do not care for the surface knobs-dark and hard to read and difficult to replace after cleaning.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

The saying "you get what you pay for" couldn't ring more true. Their products are very cheap, their 1 year warranty is the for a reason. You're buying a temporary solution, as evidenced by nearly every other comment on here. I have truly never had a worse consumer experience than I had with MagicChef and it's absolutely baffling to me they're still in business, especially after seeing everyone else having similar experiences.

2+ months ago I started a warranty claim on a washer/dryer combo unit that I had purchased with a condo in Sept of 2020. The unit was showing an E3A error. When I went to initiate the claim, it was determined that I had a unit that was manufactured WITHOUT A SERIAL NUMBER! I would encourage you to try and find any electronic in your home that doesn't have a serial number. After driving home the fact that they mis-manufactured without a serial number (indicative of the quality of the manufacturing) they reluctantly agreed to set up a courtesy service. That appointment was scheduled with AVA Appliance in CO initially, even though the unit is in AZ. Needed to call back to MC and have that fixed.

I then discussed the service with AVA, telling them it is a rental, and would like to have someone come look at it when the unit is vacant. AVA missed **8** appointments because "nobody was in the unit" which each and every time I had told them would be the case. After flying down to AZ, in a pandemic, mind you; I stayed at the unit to ensure it was looked at. The individual showed up late, spoke 0 English, cleaned the water trap, opened up the unit, put it back together, and didn't test to see if the error was resolved - it was not.

I called MC back and said I didn't want to use AVA any more and couldn't wait for more missed appointments. MC set me up with A&E (the only service company with a WORSE rating than AVA - like less than 2 stars) for the next appointment. EVERYTHING about MC is cheap - their parts, their services, their partners. A&E missed 2 appointments and showed up 5 hours late for the most recent. The parts were replaced (had to do all this with guests in the unit, not a good look) but again, the tech did not check if the error was fixed.

I decided to contact MC again and see if they'd replace the unit as we're already 2+ months into this maintenance request. I called on a Thursday, was told a manager would get back to me that day, and it is now Monday evening. After a VERY rude interaction with a service rep, Gina (she spoke over and cut me off constantly to which I called her out on and no apology only more attitude), I finally got a hold of the manager who I had originally got to reluctantly accept the warranty claim months ago - his name is Victor. However, now Victor's tone had completely changed. He was the individual that had agreed it was their error there was no serial number, but now he's saying I need to get the receipt for the unit from the previous owners. First of all, nobody keeps a receipt for something that should have a serial number - second, how would he expect me to do that? I have 0 contact with the sellers because, well, real estate agents...

I'm now told that they could have someone come out and look at it again - which I don't have the time for, this thing has been broken for 2+months, OR, get this, a WHOPPING 25% discount on buying a different MC appliance. WHY on earth would I buy another MC appliance, for it to break in 1 year, to go through this whole process again? I'm now willing to pay the extra probably $1,000 for a reputable company with proper services and support. I will NEVER buy anything else Magic Chef again, and I HIGHLY recommend you do the same, or you may find yourself writing one of these review as well.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2021

If I were able to replace this junk I would (I rent). The knob is broken to the oven, so you never know what temp it is. An in-oven thermometer usually tells the temp, but it fluctuates often up and down and does not properly bake. The digital readout is broken and you never know the time. There is not 1 thing I can say nice about the oven. The stovetop is fine; it cooks as it should. For information purposes, this is a gas range.

Magic Chef author review by Jonathan Trout

Magic Chef got its start over 85 years ago and today makes a variety of kitchen and home comfort appliances. It offers several models of upright and chest freezers that range from 3.0 to 9.0 cubic feet. They also sell a portable freezer. Check Magic Chef’s website for places to buy their products.

• Upright freezer: Magic Chef’s 3.0 cubic foot upright chest freezer includes an adjustable temperature control and manual defrost. It has a reversible, recessed door handle; two wire shelves; and a completely flat back for placement flexibility.

• 6.9 cubic foot freezer: The 6.9 cubic foot chest freezer is designed with a flush back to fit up against most walls. It features an adjustable temperature control, manual defrost, recessed door handle and indicator lights to let you know the unit is running.

• Warranties: Both models come with a 1-year parts and labor warranty and a 5-year warranty on the compressor.

• Manuals: Magic Chef includes both models of chest freezers manuals online for easy access to instructions and product registration.

• Videos: Videos explaining each feature for both models are available online.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team