Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Magic Chef Reviews

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

In summary, bought a mini fridge for my daughter going to college. Model number HMDR310SE. After 6 months, motor started making a constant loud noise. When I called into customer service I was told that to fix, my daughter would have to drop refrigerator off at a service location to be evaluated since there was no one who would do an on-site evaluation for that product. Crazy to think my daughter would have to haul her 4.4 Cu Ft fridge to her Honda Civic and strap it on the roof to get it there. Horrible product and even worse customer support. Biggest mistake ever!!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

PUrchased Magic Chef Mini Fridge  888--775-0202Model HVDR430SESerial #HD1608HVDR430SE05020 as a gift for my handicap son. It lasted 5 months to the day of purchase. Started smoking & almost caught fire. Thankfully my son smelled smoke and saw it start sparking from the back where the motor is located. Contacted original Home Depot store it was purchased from and showed my receipt. They stated I needed to contact Magic Chef. Contacted Magic Chef. Case #**. Emailed receipt & contacted them again, they stated never received. Will never buy anything Magic Chef makes again. They are a joke. Ended up throwing this piece of trash fridge out at the dump. Just wasted over $200 on nothing.

Get expert buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

Do not buy anything from Magic Chef! I bought a refrigerator from them and the second I brought it home it was making funny noises. I didn’t think much about it, just thought the compressor was loud. Fast forward 13 months and the refrigerator stop working completely! Their warranty is only for one year and they make you jump through a ton of hoops to get any parts. It costs more for the diagnosis and technician support than the stupid refrigerator did! I’m so unhappy with this company’s cheap products and lack of care for the consumer. I will NEVER buy anything from Magic Chef EVER again!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

Hi. I purchased this deep chest freezer 3 years ago and it's completely stopped working. I called customer service to see if they will honor their product and not only were they rude but they want me to jump through all of these hoops to spend even more money and they back a 5 year warranty on the COMPRESSOR ONLY. So if it happens to not be the compressor they've just made me pay for labor and parts on something that shouldn't just be breaking within 3 years for no reason! So IRATE. I work hard for my money and I will not be spending 1 more cent on their products. CHEAP PRODUCTS AND TERRIBLE CUSTOMER APPRECIATION!!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I bought the freezer several weeks ago. Thought we had made a mistake of leaving door open one or 2 times as the food was soft. Everything is still soft - chicken cutlets, steak, Ellios Pizza. What can I do?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magic Chef?

Original review: July 22, 2019

This upright freezer was purchased for our clothes garage area by my father-in-law from Home Depot. The first day I did not plug it in. The second day I plugged it in and put it on the recommended setting. Went shopping loaded it with meats. Went back out a week later to pull something and all my meat so soft. So I threw away the meat which was a big waste of money. Unplug the freezer plugged it back in after day and it still never would freeze. I decided since the freezer is less than six months old and just sitting there not being used that I would call to get the company to honor their product.

The girl on the phone was very rude and said that because it is in the garage it Voided my warranty. Most people buy these small upright freezers so that they will have extra space and keep their freezers in the garage I have a refrigerator in my garage right now that works great. I would advise against a company that will treat you poorly when you call over a small freezer. I will push the freezer to the corner for the garbageman to pick up tomorrow and will never purchase a magic chef products again. Great customer service you have.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I'll keep this simple. 2 years ago, I purchased a deep freezer. A small one, from Home Depot. It has completely stopped working. The life expectancy for this APPLIANCE is approx 2 years?? Home Depot shouldn't carry the brand. And the Feds should explore putting them out of business for good. -- I wouldn't be so irate had it not been for two things:

1) I JUST bought this thing (I have other appliances much older, still operating appropriately).

2) ALL of these review mimicking my experience. If it we're just me, then maybe I bought a lemon. Reading all of these similar experiences, shows that this company has a HISTORY of shoddy work.

They shouldn't be allowed to take people's money in exchange for JUNK.. - RCB

Original review: June 10, 2019

This is definitely one purchase that I can truly say I got my money worth. I have never any type of problems whatsoever. I had it since my children were in elementary and I still have it. Best buy ever.

Original review: May 1, 2019

Tried to get service for Warranty, went on chat, told me I had to fill a request out I did. Sent it e-mail and waited. Heard nothing in a week. Got on chat again and they could not find the form I filled out. I told her then give me my money back and they quit the chat. Freaking idiots, poorest equipment I have ever owned. Bought a leak detector and it was leaking to???? Turntable turns slowly or not at all to add to the piece of crap. Then I saw made in China explains it all. Went online to Home Depot where I bought it to file a complaint and heard nothing from Home Depot either. I will never ever buy a Magic Chef anything. Home Depot sells crap and I now go to Lowe's who you don't have to tell them what color underwear you are wearing to get a military discount. My thanks for serving 30 years protecting the USA. Magic Chef disgusting. Home Depot sells crap and does not stand behind it. Just a matter of time for the rest of the USA to wake the hell up.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I bought a Wine and Beverage cooler side by side with separate control zones twenty two months ago and the temperature was 64 degrees and not cooling. I bought the extended 1 year warranty that I found out is no help to me since they can’t locate a service company for me. I got a service company to come out with $150 charge to tell me the compressor is bad. I called Magic Chef who told me they would send the compressor to a registered service company at no charge but I had to pay the labor and refrigerant which is hard for me to do since they had no list of service companies to share with me. RIDICULOUS! Poor customer service! Never buy another Magic Chef product!

Magic Chef expert review by Jonathan Trout

Magic Chef got its start over 85 years ago and today makes a variety of kitchen and home comfort appliances. It offers several models of upright and chest freezers that range from 3.0 to 9.0 cubic feet. They also sell a portable freezer. Check Magic Chef’s website for places to buy their products.

• Upright freezer: Magic Chef’s 3.0 cubic foot upright chest freezer includes an adjustable temperature control and manual defrost. It has a reversible, recessed door handle; two wire shelves; and a completely flat back for placement flexibility.

• 6.9 cubic foot freezer: The 6.9 cubic foot chest freezer is designed with a flush back to fit up against most walls. It features an adjustable temperature control, manual defrost, recessed door handle and indicator lights to let you know the unit is running.

• Warranties: Both models come with a 1-year parts and labor warranty and a 5-year warranty on the compressor.

• Manuals: Magic Chef includes both models of chest freezers manuals online for easy access to instructions and product registration.

• Videos: Videos explaining each feature for both models are available online.

• Best for: consumers needing a compact chest freezer.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team