2. Homeowners
  3. Appliances

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.74/5

Magic Chef Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magic Chef?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magic Chef?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

So our fridge did break after 8 months and they don't have any service providers out here but their customer service is great. They will send out the fan and control board with instructions. I didn't have to wait 9 months as I did with LG being lied to by call centers and people overseas laughing at our situation. It was like a breath of fresh air. Even with it breaking faster than the LG unit I would always buy this product instead because they operated with ethics, honesty, and alacrity. You have to go through an experience with LG to fully appreciate the difference. Thank God there are still some good companies out there.

Original review: May 24, 2020

This is for the Magic Chef portable washer.. great price, great size for apartments. Purchased the washer and dryer for less than $400 at Walmart. Works really good, really quiet. Is good for a family of 4 or less.

Get buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2020

I thought I was buying a deep freezer, but I bought trash. I bought a Magic Chef deep/chest freezer from Home Depot. It worked for 1 year. Then the compressor died but the indicator lights on the unit still showed that it was working properly! As soon as the 1 year warranty expired it died shortly thereafter! Deep freezers are supposed to last between 8-10 years. Who would expect that this brand only lasts about 1 year! That seems to be the reason for the short warranty length, bc they know they are making complete trash.

When I reached out the manufacturer, I was initially told that I would have to have one of their service techs come to home to confirm that the unit did not work. Fine, I said. However, bc I do not live within 50 miles of their service center they would not send anyone! Nor would they reveal the location of the service centers so that I could decide whether to take or ship it to them for repair. So whether it was or was not within the warranty period, they would not fix it under the warranty bc I was more than 50 miles away from them. Ok, I said.

Next step. I was then told to fill out the online form and submit my receipt to order a part under the 5 year parts only warranty. Despite the full warranty being 1 year and parts warranty being 5 years, the site told me that my 1 year old unit was outside of the warranty and that I would have to pay for the part! What happened to the 5 year parts warranty? Apparently that was just a lie. I then tried to order the part without using the warranty and...wait for it...the part costs as much as the full unit!!!!

Magic Chef knows it's selling trash. That is why they have such short warranty periods and why their parts costs so much, bc they know it will give out and need service that they will not cover. I will never buy this brand ever again. I suggest that no one else buy it also. If you are going to spend the money, buy a reputable brand or at least the store brand so that it can be returned to the store within the warranty period! Magic Chef is a complete waste of money!!!! Do not buy Magic Chef!!!!

Original review: March 27, 2020

I purchased a Magic Chef deep freezer model HMCF7W2 from Home Depot. After 1 year and 2 months this freezer stopped working and left all my meat rotten. I called Magic Chef about this and they were no help. I'm so disappointed and will never buy anything from Magic Chef again. Wasted my money on this cheap piece of junk and bad customer service.

Original review: March 20, 2020

My dishwasher is used for miscellaneous items and used for storage, I have never tried to use it because I’m sure it would leak water, I’m sure this is the original dishwasher that came with the place.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

In summary, bought a mini fridge for my daughter going to college. Model number HMDR310SE. After 6 months, motor started making a constant loud noise. When I called into customer service I was told that to fix, my daughter would have to drop refrigerator off at a service location to be evaluated since there was no one who would do an on-site evaluation for that product. Crazy to think my daughter would have to haul her 4.4 Cu Ft fridge to her Honda Civic and strap it on the roof to get it there. Horrible product and even worse customer support. Biggest mistake ever!!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

PUrchased Magic Chef Mini Fridge  888--775-0202Model HVDR430SESerial #HD1608HVDR430SE05020 as a gift for my handicap son. It lasted 5 months to the day of purchase. Started smoking & almost caught fire. Thankfully my son smelled smoke and saw it start sparking from the back where the motor is located. Contacted original Home Depot store it was purchased from and showed my receipt. They stated I needed to contact Magic Chef. Contacted Magic Chef. Case #**. Emailed receipt & contacted them again, they stated never received. Will never buy anything Magic Chef makes again. They are a joke. Ended up throwing this piece of trash fridge out at the dump. Just wasted over $200 on nothing.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

Do not buy anything from Magic Chef! I bought a refrigerator from them and the second I brought it home it was making funny noises. I didn’t think much about it, just thought the compressor was loud. Fast forward 13 months and the refrigerator stop working completely! Their warranty is only for one year and they make you jump through a ton of hoops to get any parts. It costs more for the diagnosis and technician support than the stupid refrigerator did! I’m so unhappy with this company’s cheap products and lack of care for the consumer. I will NEVER buy anything from Magic Chef EVER again!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

Hi. I purchased this deep chest freezer 3 years ago and it's completely stopped working. I called customer service to see if they will honor their product and not only were they rude but they want me to jump through all of these hoops to spend even more money and they back a 5 year warranty on the COMPRESSOR ONLY. So if it happens to not be the compressor they've just made me pay for labor and parts on something that shouldn't just be breaking within 3 years for no reason! So IRATE. I work hard for my money and I will not be spending 1 more cent on their products. CHEAP PRODUCTS AND TERRIBLE CUSTOMER APPRECIATION!!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I bought the freezer several weeks ago. Thought we had made a mistake of leaving door open one or 2 times as the food was soft. Everything is still soft - chicken cutlets, steak, Ellios Pizza. What can I do?

Magic Chef author review by Jonathan Trout

Magic Chef got its start over 85 years ago and today makes a variety of kitchen and home comfort appliances. It offers several models of upright and chest freezers that range from 3.0 to 9.0 cubic feet. They also sell a portable freezer. Check Magic Chef’s website for places to buy their products.

• Upright freezer: Magic Chef’s 3.0 cubic foot upright chest freezer includes an adjustable temperature control and manual defrost. It has a reversible, recessed door handle; two wire shelves; and a completely flat back for placement flexibility.

• 6.9 cubic foot freezer: The 6.9 cubic foot chest freezer is designed with a flush back to fit up against most walls. It features an adjustable temperature control, manual defrost, recessed door handle and indicator lights to let you know the unit is running.

• Warranties: Both models come with a 1-year parts and labor warranty and a 5-year warranty on the compressor.

• Manuals: Magic Chef includes both models of chest freezers manuals online for easy access to instructions and product registration.

• Videos: Videos explaining each feature for both models are available online.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team