2. Homeowners
  3. Appliances

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.46/5

Rowenta Steam Irons Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rowenta Steam Irons?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rowenta Steam Irons?

Original review: May 24, 2020

I have bought 2 Rowenta Steam Irons in the last 4 years. The latest being less than a year ago. Both have failed. They both leaked water, and neither will heat. The Rowenta brand is marketed as a premium German-made product, at premium price. I would say that this is far from true. Short warranty, high price and high failure rate. Shame on me for buying this defective product twice.

Original review: April 30, 2020

After I contacted Rowenta and they would not sell me or provide a spray pump and stated it had to go to a service center for repair, I replied. Why would I send it in for repair? This is my second rowenta that I purchased at my wife's request. The first one leaked water and she insisted I buy another. The second one had problems with the sprayer. Now you say I cant purchase the part and have to send it to a repair shop which would probably cost as much as a new Iron. The only reason I would try to fix it is my wife says that rowenda is the best. Certainly not from my experience. Before I got my first rowenta I was using a sunbeam turbo steam GCBCS_212 iron that still works great at less than half the cost.

Get buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2020

This is my 2nd Rowenta. The first one I bought and the 2nd was a gift. Both were horrid. Auto shut off quit working within 6 months on both. Both leaked water no matter how full or empty it was. Burst of steam was always grainy with sand like and put marks on many white shirts. Both were expensive, too expensive for all the problems. Both were self clean quit and never did work right. See above remark. The company's customer service was very poor. If I could give less than 1 star I would. Even that is too good.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

Have had this Iron for several years, today while ironing, the base started sparking inside the water canister and flames appeared out the sides. How could you ever trust this company again with an auto shut off iron that catches fire while using? This could have been a disaster in the making. Rowenta use to be a reputable brand but now I am thinking differently.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

I purchased a Rowenta Perfect steam over two years ago but unfortunately it started throwing out brown sandy granulates. (Would like to know if anyone know where I can get it services?) Thought this was a good life for how much I’d used it. I decided it was time to replace so I thought an upgrade to the Rowenta Silence Technology would be better but am so disappointed with its performance???? thinking 6.5 bar would be better than 5 bar. Unfortunately this was so not the case. Very disappointing for the cost of if. Also, I know it’s only a little thing but there was not Velcro strap to keep the cable tidy????

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

Received iron for Christmas 2018. After six months started leaking water which in turn dropped on my leg and burned me. This is my third iron and they all leak. Customer service will not respond to emails even after they give you a case number. You never hear from them. Terrible iron and service. Never purchase a Rowenta if you want a good iron. This is my last Rowenta.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Granted, my iron is between 12 & 14 years old. And, until this recent incident, it had worked pretty well except for some minor spitting and hissing from the water well. What I also learned is to always read your owner's manual even if you have owned similar products over the years. I grew up using distilled water in my irons and was completely unaware that the recommendation is now for tap or spring water.

Anyway, I was ironing yesterday, added some more distilled water, and then left the room to do another chore. Within 5 minutes, the smoke alarms in my home went off (thankfully they work). Ran to the bedroom to see 6-9" flames shooting from the iron (not the cord, not the outlet, the iron itself) and molten metal pouring out of the steam vents. Very scary but dealt with it. Very fortunate that no clothes were nearby and that the damage is limited to a 'toasted' iron, burnt through fire-retardant ironing board cover and scorched metal ironing board.

The helpful Rowenta service rep (and he was which is why 2 stars) explained that their quality control folks would like to see the iron and emailed a mailing label. He also told me about their changes in water recommendations (let's plaster neon colored labels on boxes!). However, I can't recommend this product because never should a simple appliance like this one catch fire spontaneously. We are so thankful it wasn't worse. And never again will I leave a room with the iron plugged in.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I like the iron, but I now have had to repair the power supply cord inside the base of the unit twice. Noticed the iron would not stay hot all the time and when I wiggled the cord going into the unit, the overheat light on the same circuit, would flicker. When I took off the base, I found one of the wires had burned inside the insulation. Removed about 3 inches of the wire and rewired using wire connectors. Worked for about 2 years, and it just recently did the exact same thing. I don't believe the power cord is rated for the 1700 watts.

Original review: May 28, 2019

On 5/24/19 I checked the internet for any recalls to find out if anyone else had the same problem as I had and yes there were hundreds! I owned a Rowenta DW 5080 and as I was ironing the iron was on fire on the inside and I could see through the front how bad it was burning where the water reservoir is, I called the Rowenta customer service and talked to a very rude woman (I did take her name) on the phone. She said she had never heard of such a complaint and no recalls. My warranty was out after 5 years. She never asked me my name, I then read her the numbers and the date on the iron. Said made 06-13 (that’s the date it was made). So she said to me ...."And by the way you aren’t getting a new iron."

I never asked her for anything and she said the best they can do is give me a coupon if I wanted to buy another Rowenta, and What if my house would of burnt down? On one of those reviews a man asked how many complaints does it take before you people are going to recall this iron? $129 for an iron and this is the answer you get! Made in Germany PLEASE DON’T BUY! The old saying LOOK FOR THE UNION LABEL... Made in the USA. Hope everyone that owns one dumps it before something bad happens. Thanks for your time reading, Illinois housewife.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I have purchased three Rowenta steam irons during the past 8-9 years. Yes, I know, call me crazy but I thought I liked the brand. I overlooked issues with the irons such as leaking, turning off on its own, and finally, not working at all. I followed the approved cleaning directions after each usage and it still did not prolong the lives of the irons. My last iron, model DW5080, recently stopped working after about two years. I spoke to a customer service representative manager about a free replacement and was told if I did not have a receipt (which I didn’t, but should have after three purchases) there wasn’t anything that can be done other than providing the contact information of a service center for repairs, at my cost. Needless to say, I am very disappointed in Rowenta and will never purchase any of their products, ever.

Rowenta Steam Irons Company Information