Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Rowenta Steam Irons Reviews

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

Have had this Iron for several years, today while ironing, the base started sparking inside the water canister and flames appeared out the sides. How could you ever trust this company again with an auto shut off iron that catches fire while using? This could have been a disaster in the making. Rowenta use to be a reputable brand but now I am thinking differently.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

I purchased a Rowenta Perfect steam over two years ago but unfortunately it started throwing out brown sandy granulates. (Would like to know if anyone know where I can get it services?) Thought this was a good life for how much I’d used it. I decided it was time to replace so I thought an upgrade to the Rowenta Silence Technology would be better but am so disappointed with its performance???? thinking 6.5 bar would be better than 5 bar. Unfortunately this was so not the case. Very disappointing for the cost of if. Also, I know it’s only a little thing but there was not Velcro strap to keep the cable tidy????

Get expert buying tips about Appliances delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

Received iron for Christmas 2018. After six months started leaking water which in turn dropped on my leg and burned me. This is my third iron and they all leak. Customer service will not respond to emails even after they give you a case number. You never hear from them. Terrible iron and service. Never purchase a Rowenta if you want a good iron. This is my last Rowenta.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Granted, my iron is between 12 & 14 years old. And, until this recent incident, it had worked pretty well except for some minor spitting and hissing from the water well. What I also learned is to always read your owner's manual even if you have owned similar products over the years. I grew up using distilled water in my irons and was completely unaware that the recommendation is now for tap or spring water.

Anyway, I was ironing yesterday, added some more distilled water, and then left the room to do another chore. Within 5 minutes, the smoke alarms in my home went off (thankfully they work). Ran to the bedroom to see 6-9" flames shooting from the iron (not the cord, not the outlet, the iron itself) and molten metal pouring out of the steam vents. Very scary but dealt with it. Very fortunate that no clothes were nearby and that the damage is limited to a 'toasted' iron, burnt through fire-retardant ironing board cover and scorched metal ironing board.

The helpful Rowenta service rep (and he was which is why 2 stars) explained that their quality control folks would like to see the iron and emailed a mailing label. He also told me about their changes in water recommendations (let's plaster neon colored labels on boxes!). However, I can't recommend this product because never should a simple appliance like this one catch fire spontaneously. We are so thankful it wasn't worse. And never again will I leave a room with the iron plugged in.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I like the iron, but I now have had to repair the power supply cord inside the base of the unit twice. Noticed the iron would not stay hot all the time and when I wiggled the cord going into the unit, the overheat light on the same circuit, would flicker. When I took off the base, I found one of the wires had burned inside the insulation. Removed about 3 inches of the wire and rewired using wire connectors. Worked for about 2 years, and it just recently did the exact same thing. I don't believe the power cord is rated for the 1700 watts.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rowenta Steam Irons?

Original review: May 28, 2019

On 5/24/19 I checked the internet for any recalls to find out if anyone else had the same problem as I had and yes there were hundreds! I owned a Rowenta DW 5080 and as I was ironing the iron was on fire on the inside and I could see through the front how bad it was burning where the water reservoir is, I called the Rowenta customer service and talked to a very rude woman (I did take her name) on the phone. She said she had never heard of such a complaint and no recalls. My warranty was out after 5 years. She never asked me my name, I then read her the numbers and the date on the iron. Said made 06-13 (that’s the date it was made). So she said to me ...."And by the way you aren’t getting a new iron."

I never asked her for anything and she said the best they can do is give me a coupon if I wanted to buy another Rowenta, and What if my house would of burnt down? On one of those reviews a man asked how many complaints does it take before you people are going to recall this iron? $129 for an iron and this is the answer you get! Made in Germany PLEASE DON’T BUY! The old saying LOOK FOR THE UNION LABEL... Made in the USA. Hope everyone that owns one dumps it before something bad happens. Thanks for your time reading, Illinois housewife.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I have purchased three Rowenta steam irons during the past 8-9 years. Yes, I know, call me crazy but I thought I liked the brand. I overlooked issues with the irons such as leaking, turning off on its own, and finally, not working at all. I followed the approved cleaning directions after each usage and it still did not prolong the lives of the irons. My last iron, model DW5080, recently stopped working after about two years. I spoke to a customer service representative manager about a free replacement and was told if I did not have a receipt (which I didn’t, but should have after three purchases) there wasn’t anything that can be done other than providing the contact information of a service center for repairs, at my cost. Needless to say, I am very disappointed in Rowenta and will never purchase any of their products, ever.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I buy a Rowenta iron every year. It begins leaking after a few months, then it just DIES after a year. It’s been quite a few years. I really like the iron, hence the two stars, but for $100 range iron, it should last more than a year, plain and simple. I feel very foolish buying it again and again, but I really like it.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I purchased this Rowenta steam iron DW9280 about a year ago, after about 6 months it stopped steaming. I tried the self clean option but nothing. When I called Rowenta, they suggested I use partial spring water even though the manual specifically says not to. I was told there was nothing more they could do to help me and referred me to a repair dealer a 100 miles from my home. When I called the dealer, it would cost me $100 to repair. I bought this iron because of the reputation of Rowenta and was disappointed they don't stand by their product.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Over the last number of years I have purchased 3 of the same model iron, only to have it begin to leak out of the bottom corner of the iron. Fortunately, I have returned to the store to exchange the faulty iron for a new iron. Today, after leaking began on yet another iron, I called customer service and was given an interesting reason why this could be happening. She said that if I don't de-scale the iron every two weeks this could happen. She also said that perhaps I should mix spring water with the regular tap water even though the instructions clearly state to use tap water only. I think both reasons she gave for the possibility of leakage were an excuse for an inferior product. These irons used to be so good that you could have one for years.

My original iron I had for years unfortunately fell off of a shelf during an earthquake. If that hadn't happened I would probably still have the iron. The ones they are making today, appear to be the same quality, but unfortunately, the looks and feel of the iron does not tell the story of the internal workings of the iron. Clearly there is a problem with reservoir leakage as many other reviewers have stated. Unfortunately, the company does not wish to address this problem. Bad customer service and poorly made product! Not the Rowenta of yesteryear!

Rowenta Steam Irons Company Information