Rowenta Steam Irons

Compare Appliances

Research top Appliances recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My daughter bought this expensive Rowenta Steam Iron for me. It is just under two years and it is leaking water all over the clothes and the ironing board. I am trying to find a customer service number for them and I cannot find it. I would not recommend this iron to anyone. It cost too much to perform like this.

When my husband and I returned to the US, 3.5 years ago, we had to buy all new appliances and we splashed out and bought a very expensive, top of the line, Rowenta Iron. This iron lasted 13-14 months. We then purchased a second Rowenta iron, bringing that one with us to an American Military Base overseas, where approximately 3 months later it too stopped working. Since then we have purchased TWO more Rowenta Irons from the PX on Base and they are also no longer working.

The first three irons all stopped working in the same manner - started switching themselves off intermittently while being used until they switch themselves off all the time. The fourth and newest - only used 3-4 months - did something different. 30 seconds after we turn it on the light starts flashing and it stops heating up. Rowenta has informed me that for all my trouble and loyalty, if I PAY to send 2 of the 3 irons I have to them, they will fix them - BUT I have to ask myself - is it worth spending more money to post them to Rowenta - or should I put that money towards a new iron from a different company??? I CAN'T AFFORD TO BUY ANOTHER ROWENTA IRON!!

Purchased 3rd Rowenta iron Model DW 8080 last year after 1st iron I had started to leak water from bottom of iron. Water got all over ironing board causing the ironing board to start to rust slightly. Rowenta Ironing Board also. 2nd iron after months of use started to leak hence I needed a new iron to replace 1st iron which had also started to leak. All three of the irons I purchased leaked after months of use. Usually once they were out of warranty. Rowenta had me send the 2nd iron to a service center which they covered all costs. Now my 3rd iron has started leaking and we had to go out the day before my daughter's wedding to purchase another steam iron to take the minor wrinkles out of her dress. My wife did not want to use the 3rd iron that was leaking in case it stained my daughter's wedding dress (Disaster waiting to happen?).

I just got off the phone explaining everything to Rowenta and they basically told me they could not do anything or figure out why the irons are leaking. I have made 3 phone calls to them over the past years and one told me to use tap water, the next phone call they told me to use spring water. So I am now looking for another iron and using iron #2 that was repaired by them (that one after the repair also leaks a little) but is usable. Wouldn't be so bad except these irons are not cheap. They work well when they work but after a short period of time they leak from bottom of iron. Very poor customer service by Rowenta and they do not back their products. Buy different brand iron... Not Rowenta.

My first purchased of a Rowenta product was over 15 years ago. A regular iron with steam option. Later I found the Steam Iron station with the beige base (water not visible). This product was the best ever. Lasted over 8 years. December 2015, my husband decided that it was time for a new one. So he purchased a ROWENTA STEAM STATION DG 8430. In July 2016 the following problems developed. It was sent to South Carolina for repair of the boiler and valve. It was returned late August 2016 and then the same problems began again for the 2nd time while trying to use:

1. Water and steam leak from the bottom of the base; 2. While it show that is ready for use, when I try to use the steam it begins to push out steam and a lot of water at the same time soaking cloth. I have emptied the water reservoir and replaced with clean water and hitting the reset button as per box instructions. I have cleaned the filtering system and return to position as per directions (Light requesting clean up (rinsing) was on, at the request of Rowenta representative this step was completed). Problem 1 and 2 continues.

While the steamer tank was full with water it was turning on the light for more water. In July 2016 the iron bust: 1. Water and steam leak from the bottom of the base; 2. While it show that is ready for use, when I try to use the steam it begins to push out steam and a lot of water at the same time soaking cloth.

I emptied the water reservoir and replaced with clean water and hitting the reset button as per box instructions. I cleaned the filtering system and return to position as per directions (Light requesting clean up (rinsing) was not on, but at the request of Rowenta representative this step was completed). Problem 1 and 2 continues. While the steamer tank was full with water it was turning on the light for more water.

This is not a cheap product. It cost over $250.00 plus shipping and handling. This is the second time it has broken down. I contacted Rowenta Customer service and was asked: a. "what is the temperature you use?" (that should not matter as the steamer has its own temperature setting, one that I cannot control. It will get as hot as it was set to be in cotton setting); b. "what type of water did you use?" The box says tap water but also it can be 50% tap and 50% distilled water (which I use this option to ensure quality and longevity of the product).

Basically, any excuse but "WE WILL REPLACE THE STEAMER AS IT APPEARS TO BE A DEFECTIVE PRODUCT". Those words were never stated. The words of the customer services were "we will repair it this time, but after the warranty runs out (12/13/2016) it can be repair at your own expense" (shocker).

A product that requires repair twice in less than 10-months and replacement is not offered, not even at a reduced price! In my family there are 7 Rowenta Iron Steamer Station owners that will not replace theirs once they breakdown. Customer Service and quality products are very important when the price is as high as this product is. Customer Service was for lack of a better word - SHODDY!

Consumer Increased Rating!

I had cloth steamer for few months, it is not working well. Walmart told me to contact Rowenta, I did. Rowenta Customer Service told me that it will take two weeks to fix it, I am waiting more than one month! No news! I made many telephone calls and sent many emails. But nobody care. Still don't know what's going on? Nobody answers my emails and no supervisor or manager returned my call!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rowenta Steam Irons?

Like others on this website, I purchased the Rowenta Effective iron as a back up iron. I used a Black & Decker iron for more than 15 years, and finally donated it because the plug would not stay in the outlet. I purchased the Rowenta Effective iron about a year before I finally decided to use it. In less than three month's use, I started to notice it sticking to the fabric. I purchased the overpriced Rowenta Soleplate Cleaning Kit, and spent more than an hour trying to remove the residue on the soleplate.

This cleaning product is useless, so I am now out an additional $15.00. With less than six month's use of the Rowenta Effective iron I paid about $80.00 for, I am throwing it in the garbage. The built up residue on the soleplate is impossible to remove, and the iron ruins everything I use it for. I took the time to email Rowenta Corporate (twice) about their product, and just like others on this website, Rowenta refuses to stand behind their product. I even sent them photos of both the soleplate of the iron and their useless cleaning product.

I am a member of the American Sewing Guild, the El Camino Quilters Guild, and two other neighborhood sewing groups. I have already let at least a dozen others know about Rowenta's inferior product. I was also on the iron aisle at Jo-Ann's yesterday and advised a customer (shopping for an iron) to not buy a Rowenta. Like others, I saved up my pennies and bought what I thought was a quality product from Rowenta because of their brand. Their product is inferior and they will not stand behind their product. With reviews like these stacking up behind them, I am pretty sure they will not be around much longer.

I purchased a Rowenta Iron about 9 years ago at the now defunct Linens 'n Things chain of home goods products. This iron leaked profusely from the day I bought it. I only started using this iron regularly (once a week for a few hours) about 3 months ago. Prior to that, I only used it maybe once or twice a year. About 2 weeks ago, the iron started "buzzing" - I could audibly hear it and feel a vibration under my hand as I was holding the handle. Well, today it died. I recall spending about $130 for this iron (when all of the other irons on the shelf cost less than half that). I mistakenly believed that spending more money equated to a better product. This iron is a piece of garbage and I would never recommend it to anyone!

Six months ago my 15 year old Rowenta steam iron quit heating. While it was 15 years old, it was only used occasionally. The modern family does not iron much. I complained to the company and they did me the good deed to sell me a new iron for $37.40 no shipping. Well today it quit getting hot. Not happy. They offered for me to send it to be repaired. No deal especially after reading reviews. It is a shame companies will not stand by their products and we in this country and I suppose everywhere else. We have a lot of cheap products that are worthless because of being made in China. Oh for the good old days when you bought something and could count on it lasting a long time.

I bought a Rowenta Steam Station approximately 2 years ago for ~$300. A couple of months ago the fabric insulation covering on the steam cord started unraveling from the end that connects to the iron. I tried wrapping it in electrical tape, but now I just have a sticky gooey mess. The cord gets so hot it has actually left a burn mark on my arm! I called customer service and discovered that they only have a one year warranty, which is ridiculous for a $300 product! They told me that my only option was to mail it into them (at my cost) and they would look at it and let me know how much it would cost to repair and ship it back to me. So I should spend $30+ to mail this unit, not knowing if/when/or how much it will cost to repair it???

I asked if I could get a replacement unit for a reduced cost, but they told me that was not an option. After spending so much to begin with on their product, they expect me to go out of pocket several more hundred dollars to repair or replace the unit??? I had a Rowenta iron before this steam station for over TWENTY years and it was solid quality (made in Germany). It also had a rock hard warranty. My experience with that first iron is the reason I bought another Rowenta when I decided to upgrade to a steam station. Sadly, they have since slacked on their quality standards (they're made in China now) and they no longer stand behind their product. I used to LOVE this company and their products. One thing is for sure: they have forsaken me and lost me as a customer.

I bought this iron 16 months ago. I never spent a lot on an iron before but decided I wanted a really good iron and so I bought this one. It worked great for 15 months. Then it stopped working. After spending over $100 on an iron I found out the warranty had expired and further, the company won't let me buy parts to fix it myself. This iron was not abused. It sat on an ironing board and used maybe 4 times a week for one or two pieces of clothing at a time. I have never had an iron last such a short time, nor have I ever spent so much on an iron. I won't be buying a Rowenta product again!

I purchased the Rowenta model DW8090 iron for my wife after Christmas from a fabric store. My wife does a good deal of iron-on vinyl for tee shirts and after several of the tee shirt patterns started coming up or off, she started to investigate why. She first checked the date of the vinyl and it was perfectly good. Then with our laser thermometer, we started doing temperature checks on the Rowenta iron and found they constantly varied from a maximum of 140 to 160 degrees Fahrenheit. The iron never reached any higher temperature than a one time 165 degrees. I called Rowenta customer service and reported the problem and they advised me to send it to their service center in Ft Worth, TX and we did.

Several weeks later a man called and said it was repaired and was returning it. We got it back and the ticket said they had replaced the cord and sole plate and it checked out, ok! We again tested it and it would not get over 160 degrees and the temperature varied up and down over a 20-degree range below the 160-degree temperature. I again called customer service and was directed to return it to the parent facility for their "lab" to check it out. They probably tell everyone to do that! Anyway, after a few weeks they called and left a message that the iron was on its way back.

I called customer service and spoke to a lady regarding the defective iron and she said it checked out with no problems. She said it tested out fine going from 175 to 397 degrees and I told her I would be sure to check it out. We got it back the other day and immediately checked it out for the temperature and it went from 88 degrees on low to a max of 152 degrees. This is no way near the temperature needed to do iron-on vinyl as that requires at least 320 degrees! Incidentally the $6 Walmart Rival iron tested at a heat range from 135 to 406 degrees!

One additional problem is that this model does not have an automatic shutoff, even though the instruction book leads one to believe this, and I can not believe UL would approve an appliance this dangerous. Someone will burn their house down with one of these irons if it has not already happened. I am calling Rowenta customer service Monday but fully expect them to tell me I do not know what I am doing and that I am out of luck because as the lady told me the other day, "our lab checked it out and there is no problem with it." I know we are just out the $90 dollars, but I sincerely hope this will halt someone else from making the same mistake I did and that was thinking if it was made in Germany, and not China, it had to be good quality. Bottom line is Rowenta spells Junk and that is that!

I bought a Rowenta, model DW 9280 iron in February of 2015. It has been a horrible iron. It constantly leaks water from the base so badly that the floor, ironing board and clothing all become soaked with water if trying to iron. The temperature regulator also seems to be failing, as the iron has begun scorching fabrics while set at very low temperatures. The warranty ended 4 months ago, so I do not have any recourse with the company to try to get the iron fixed or replaced. The quality of product is horrible, and the prices are high. I will not buy another Rowenta iron in the future.

I have tried 3 different Rowenta steam irons and all 3 leaked badly and all 3 had to be returned. A salesperson told me that the ones marked Made in Germany do not leak but the ones marked Made in China will leak. The last Rowenta I got was model DW5183, which is made in Germany. I used it exactly 4 times. I followed the instructions for self-cleaning and when I reached the last step and plugged it in, a flood of water came leaking out from the bottom, all over my kitchen counter and floor.

I called Rowenta customer care and they told me to send it back to them for repairs. Since this is a barely-used iron, I think they should have offered to replace it with a new one. Poor customer service, in my opinion. The iron is going back to the store for a refund. The length of the cord on this Rowenta is OK (could be longer, like my old Black & Decker's) but the cord on the Rowenta self-winding irons is way too short to be practical and the extra bulk at the base throws off the balance of the iron. Avoid those models. My previous steam iron, a Black & Decker, lasted 15 years before it started having problems. Fortunately I did not throw it out and will try to have repaired, since it is a better-made iron than the Rowenta. If you do get a Rowenta, save the packaging and receipt because it is very likely you will need to return the iron and get a different brand. I will never buy another Rowenta product.

I have never been so disappointed in an iron in my life. I saved to buy a Rowenta iron as I heard they were the very best on the market and worth the high price. I sell my sewing and crafts so I treated myself to the top of the line Rowenta. It feels nice and glides nicely, good weight, love the long point at the front... BUT IT LEAKS NON-STOP. I dye some of my fabrics and of course a gush of water marks the fabric and makes it useless. I have tried everything to stop the leaking, but nothing has worked. I will never buy a Rowenta product again and when I took it back to the store I bought it from the sales lady said, "Oh yes, we have a lot of Rowentas returned!" I wish I knew this little piece of information. I am now using a Black & Decker steam iron, that was 1/2 the price of the Rowenta and it works BETTER. So long story short, don't be fooled by Rowenta.

I purchased my first Rowenta over 15 years ago & it lasted quite a long time with no issues - after ironing every day it just stopped working. Purchased a cheaper model iron as I was in a pinch - used it about a year, when I decided to purchase another Rowenta Model DW 5181. Had a little over a year & now it leaks like crazy (I clean regularly & store correctly) thought maybe I was overfilling, but that is not it as I put little water in & empty daily - it leaks so bad that my iron board is soaked & I have replaced the cover/padding twice to avoid mold, etc. Then the other day - I had it set on low - to iron a blouse I have ironed for months on the same setting & it scorched a hole right in the arm - This was not a cheap blouse & one of my favorites & it is no longer available for replacement - SO I am now very very unhappy!

I read somewhere that they should be monetarily responsible to their customers. I am thinking very seriously about checking into a class action lawsuit - one year warranty on $150 plus iron & they will do not do anything & it seems that is when they decide to stop working or begin having issues? I think they making sub par irons with the hopes that we continue to keep replacing them with a new one, not me any longer & based on the many complaints on here - I think a class action is justified!

I purchased my first Rowenta Effective iron model # DW2070 one year ago at Bed Bath and Beyond and have hated it ever since. It shuts off in the middle of ironing and I hardly ever get any steam coming out. At first I thought it was something I was doing wrong, but after reading all the terrible reviews, I know it is the cheap product and not me. Unfortunately I do not have my sales receipt or proof of purchase from BBB, but was told by their store manager to contact Rowenta and report it and maybe they will honor their guarantee. So now I wait to see if I get a response.

I purchased a Rowenta steamer from JC Penney. I used it for the first time and wasn't thrilled with it. But it was only $75 and I figured that you get what you pay for. At that point I threw the box away. The very next time I plugged it in there was steam coming from where the hose connected to the steamer and the nozzle was ice cold. I was burned by the steam when I was trying to check the connection. I unplugged and tried it again, same thing. The steamer is brand new, useless, and dangerous. I can't return because I have no box. After reading these reviews, it is hard to understand how this company is allowed to still be in business.

I am so glad I found this site. You can't believe how disappointed I have been with this brand of irons. I have owned at least 10 over the last 15 years and purchased the top of the line iron each time. My most recent one only lasted about 8 months. I kept thinking is it something that I'm doing wrong while ironing. I constantly use the steam button and thought maybe is that my problem. Well one evening I was ironing clothes for a cruise and my iron just made a poofing sound and went cold. I had to run out to the drugstore to buy a replacement. I purchased the only one they had which was a Proctor Silex for 14.99 and that iron surpassed any Rowenta Iron that I have owned. The Rowenta Iron company certainly owes their loyal customers some monetary apology for crappy product.

I have purchased three Rowenta irons over the past four years. They all have the same problem, shutting off during use. The light goes out and if you wiggle the cord where it goes into the iron it will briefly come on, but as soon as you move the iron it goes off again. Obviously the motion of the iron on the cord causes the wires to wear and break. All three irons have had the same ball connection on the wiring system. This is a major defect that needs to be changed. Stabilize the cord connection so it does not move every time the iron moves.

I don't often write reviews and never have I written a negative one, however I really feel I have to give a heads up to anyone who might be thinking about buying this iron Rowenta DW9280 Steam Force. Initially I loved this iron however from the beginning the closure mechanism for filling the iron was a little wonky. After 41 days it broke. I called customer service and they told me I was out of the 30 day return window and needed to send it to a service center which would take at least three weeks. Very difficult to be without an iron for someone who has a little sewing business.

In talking to customer service they kept referring me to the 30 day policy. I asked my customer service representative Leslie to talk to her supervisor and see if there was something that could be done. She went away leaving me on hold and came back and told me there was nothing that could be done. Again quoting the 30 day return policy. When I asked to talk to the supervisor myself she told me that none was available. Surprising since she was supposed to have just talked to him. Come to find out according to The customer service representative there is no supervisor at all but she will get a hold of one who should call me. I don't have much faith in this as The customer service representative lied to me in the first place about talking to her supervisor.

Rowenta DX9800 iron. I have owned 2 Rowenta irons, both have caught on fire. Both times I was home and was able to toss them outside before the house caught fire. Rowenta irons are dangerous and need to be recalled. There is obviously an engineering/design problem with these irons. I searched the internet to discover that a number of others, and more than a few, have had similar issues with Rowenta irons, that is fires (so much for German engineering. That's why I bought mine). I expect a full refund and I expect that this very dangerous problem will be fixed--no argument, no delays, no excuses, and fixed before someone dies in a fire. I fully expect Rowenta to acknowledge the problem and take immediate action to correct the problem and alert users as to the risks.

I have been a seamstress for over 30 years and have had the same Rowenta Iron 20 years. It started to quit sporadically so my daughter purchased a new one for me. The new iron leaked so bad that I had gone back to the old one. I sent emails to Rowneta about the problem and was given a standard answer on how to use steam. That was a year ago, and recently the old one quit. So I gave the new one DW 5080, another chance. Not pleased at all, as it has sent water all over the project and soaked the ironing board pad. I have come to the conclusion that they are all defective as 2 years ago, I purchased a different model one for a gift, comes as no surprise that it leaked from day 1. I will look elsewhere for a professional iron from now on.

I've owned a Rowenta iron for 20 years and decided to buy a new one which was much lighter. I bought model number DW 2090 and was very disappointed. It's made cheaply, doesn't work nearly as well as my 20-year-old iron so I returned it. I'm very disappointed Rowenta put its name on the products like the one I purchased.

I bought this iron (model DW2170) and it LEAKS! I bought it specifically because that was one of the "promises" on the literature and box. It is the worst iron I have ever had and I am 67 so I have had MANY irons in my lifetime!

I purchased a third Rowenta iron and after only 4 months, it started leaking a LOT. I was instructed to ship it back to Rowenta and they would either replace with a new one or repair my old one. What I received back was a dirty iron with a dented soleplate and a broken box which was shipped in a perfectly fine box. I called Rowenta back and they asked for photos. I sent them photos and Stacey, the representative I spoke with from Rowenta Customer Service, robotically and flatly, said she couldn't see the dirt in the photo. So we disagreed. She then explained that she would send the issue to UPS for investigation which would take ten days for me to hear from UPS. So now I have an iron that is neither mine nor new and waiting to hear back from UPS?

Rowenta was not at all helpful in resolving my issue. I explained to Stacey that the box on the inside was damaged, and not the box on the outside, but she insisted that the investigation was necessary. She also explained that I could ship the box back to have the soleplate repaired which she then redirected to a UPS investigation instead. I'm confused why I would need to have a damaged iron repaired when it wasn't even mine to begin with, but Stacey just talked over me as if I was being difficult. This issue has been ongoing for over a month now and doesn't seem fair that I am still without a working iron. I will never purchase another Rowenta product.

I bought a new Rowenta travel iron, and only used it a few times, probably less than 20, and always on dry. The last time I used it some kind of fluid came out the front end, then it quit working. I kept the iron, and because we were moving, I packed it, with the intent to take it back to JoAnn's Fabrics once we got settled in our new home. When we took it back, they said they couldn't do anything about replacing it, as it had been too long. It is really disgusting to pay that much money for a product that is defective and not get it replaced. Unfortunately, I received a new one as a Christmas gift -- am wondering if it will last a month! I am very unhappy with Rowenta and will not recommend their product to anyone.

I have been a Rowenta Iron user for over 25 years. It seem that every iron I get lasts about 1 year if that. My last iron was DW9280... The Mercedes of all. It's been a year and it just died on me. I've been dealing with leakage for a few months already, self-cleaned it and not better. As a family of 3 we iron every day our clothes for the day. It's extremely important that we have an iron. I'm stuck as of today... Going to go out and spend $$ on another iron. The only problem I have is that there is no other iron that compares to a Rowenta! I end up buying the top brand with all the extra steam and at the highest price. Would love to get some input if there is another comparable brand. All others are light in weight and really do not have the industrial strength of Rowenta. Need some help, please.

I am on my third Rowenta iron and based on its performance in the past few months, I am ready to move on. This iron leaks, as did my last one and the one before that. I keep buying them because I feel I got my "money's worth" in that they didn't experience the leakage until after several years of use. The current one I have is barely a year old and it leaks terribly. I have tried everything to curtail its leakage and even called Rowenta directly. They said I should do a self-clean and that would help. I have done several "self-cleans" and it did not help. It's worse now than what is was leaking. I doubt I'll ever purchase a Rowenta iron again.

I researched carefully before buying this iron. As for girl is very difficult to understand some technical moments and our questions are very simple and stupid sometimes. I saw a review at the **. At this review we can see that Rowenta DW5080 is the best iron. I agree with it. This model has a soleplate made of stainless steel, a power 1700 Watts, 3 main temperature settings, and is made of high-quality plastic. I bought this iron and I love it! It's really the best iron!

I was ironing with a Rowenta Effective Comfort Iron when I noticed it sticking to the fabric. Setting was low cotton with steam. When I touched my ironing board cover, the iron scorched it. Blue smoke started pouring out from the plate. I immediately unplugged it and took it outdoors. I purchased two irons in August of 2015; I have warned my son to not use the iron I purchased for him. First thing tomorrow morning I'll be in touch with Rowenta requesting full refund for both irons and will further investigate consumer recall of the iron.

Rowenta Steam Irons Company Profile