Thermador

Compare Appliances

Research top Appliances recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

12 years ago we redid our kitchen and installed premium appliances including the Thermador double wall oven C302. In that time the oven has performed well but required 3 expensive service calls to replace the "relay board" to a tune of $500 per repair. Recently, the part needed replacing and I used Thermador's official repair company, booked on the Thermador website. The initial estimate was $646.00, dismayed but determined to repair it (after careful consideration of replacement cost), I forged on. At the end of the service call another $21.00 part was needed, another service call. $181.00 in labor costs to install a $21.00 part. Multiple convos with company, no willingness at all to reduce cost.

We have a Thermador wall oven that is 5 years old. Have used the self cleaning feature maybe on it, one or two times at most. We bought it through (Ferguson, in Fayetteville, GA., which they don't maintain records after a year). Anyway last week pressed the self cleaning button, and after it was done and the door unlocked, the total inside of the glass was shattered. I called client services at Ferguson, which the lady responded "that shouldn't of happened". And told me to call Thermador and have it evaluated. Which they came out a week later, and it will cost $190.00 to fix. So again I won't be recommending their product to any of my clients in the future. Wolf or Viking here I come.

My brand new $4000 Thermador double oven does not operate; I must flip my home's electrical breaker to turn it off; and I have waited 20 days to have it repaired or replaced. It is noon on December 23, 2016 and both the Thermador customer service line and the Bosch Home offices are closed. The product does not function; the repair person they sent was not helpful and wants me to wait until January 3, 2017 for a repair, and I cannot talk to anyone but an "after hours" messaging center about my non-functioning oven a day before Christmas.

On December 3, 2016, my family tried to use its new Thermador double oven (Model ME302JS/04) and received an error code (118). We called to the customer service line for help and they failed to send a technician. We called again, but could not get a technician until December 23. When the technician came, he did not have the necessary parts - despite contacting the company weeks earlier and giving them the exact error code for the problem. The next available repair slot is January 3, 2017. The product does not fulfill the warranty of merchantability, fitness, or any general warranties; the customer service is ineffective; and the Bosch-employed repair organization is slow, unprepared, disorganized, and unhelpful. This company has no sense of urgency about a major household investment.

Bought the dual fuel range ($15,000), column fridge, column wine fridge and d/w in fall 2016. Oven failed for our first Thanksgiving AND this Thanksgiving. Seriously?! ?Bought a countertop turkey roaster (thank you, Costco!) that saved our holiday. Have had SEVEN service calls - our THIRD defective computer board is being replaced this morning. Hinges replaced on main oven in June. Angry does not begin to articulate my feelings about this sham company. The last customer service rep was beyond rude - after holding 15 minutes to reach the rep and explaining our unacceptable situation, the rep said, "I don't know what you want." What I want is a $15,000 oven that is one year old to freaking WORK!! Do not waste your $$ on these appliances. Buy good looking cheaper ones and replace as needed. And don't forget to buy a turkey roaster! They are still on sale at Costco!

We purchased a Thermador triple oven combination (model #semw302) in 2007 when we built our home. Over the past 9 years we've had to have multiple repairs on the main oven. The door hinges have been replaced twice, the circuit board replaced once, the self cleaning function stopped working twice. Actually only worked for one self cleaning. Each time. Now we once again have to replace both the circuit board and the relay board on the oven. Great. After paying a service man $80 yesterday, we were told that Thermador has discontinued the circuit board that we need and it also needs to have the relay board replaced. Which I believe is somewhere around $225.

It was suggested we try to find someone to rebuild our circuit board. Even after spending some considerable time searching the internet, I haven't found anyone who can rebuild this particular circuit board. and this would probably cost over $200. Plus installation. I already have spent close to $1000 on repairs. The microwave and the warming drawer are both fine. Now it looks like we will have to throw out the whole triple combination unit since it's one piece. We will NOT be looking to replace it with another Thermador. This may be the worst purchase we've ever made in 50 years of marriage. JUNK!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thermador?

Bought a full kitchen suite of commercial grade Thermador products in 2013. Got the one-two-free promotion so a great price point and other leading brands had equal pro/con review. Have had continual problems since day one; oven has been repaired 4 times for motherboard, temp dial, heating consistency, burners not igniting; freezer ice maker repaired 3 times for clogging ice buildup which shuts down the ice maker and needs to be re-set. Still clogs and quits but I have stopped calling for expensive repair visits and now turn off the freezer for 10 minutes to re-boot the ice maker every time it clogs (about every other month); ref'r has salad makings consistently condense and rot with water after two days.

Read all the manuals, following instructions. Today needed to change out a bulb in the oven and find the lamp housing installed backwards in the very back of the oven, making it almost impossible to get a screwdriver in to pry the glass lens off (well, actually haven't got this accomplished yet so maybe it is impossible). The auto-shut off for warming drawer (as part of range) has never worked. Repairman said he could replace drawer for $1,000 - think I will place a $.01 post it note on it for turn-off reminder. Products all look great - but look for other brands! I would not buy Thermador again and as an architect I have my clients look at any other brand first.

I purchased the PDR364GLZS Stove/Oven/Grill unit in 2004. Since then I've had to replace 3 grill igniters, 3 stove burner igniters, the pc board and an oven heating element. Now, parts are becoming, "discontinued by the manufacturer". So soon, I will have a $3,200+ hunk of stainless steel taking up space in my kitchen. If you insist on buying a Thermador product, be prepared to spend money on future repairs, and the parts being discontinued rendering your appliance useless.

I've had Thermador appliances in my last two homes. Loved them. Didn't have any problems. We just moved and bought a new 48" all gas range (first time to have such a large range). So far so good. Only problem is the display panel light won't go off. I'm hoping this is not a big deal. I have always enjoyed my appliances from Thermador. I've had the range, microwave, dishwasher, wall oven, and warming drawer. Don't let me down this time!!!

I have a Thermador stove. The stove was very expensive and is a piece of junk. Never buy Thermador! The convection brain went out in the oven and I contacted service. Service came and told me the brain went out and I would need a new one. I tried to order it but they would never call me back. Does Thermador service even exist? When I am in a store selling Thermador and see people looking at them I run over and tell them what crap they are. When a person puts this kind of money into something they expect it to work. The service guy asked me if I really needed the convection bake system. Really? Buy a different brand. Fortunately only my stove is Thermador. The rest of the stuff is good.

We bought our whole kitchen set from Thermador appliances. It was very expensive and we were told to get a warranty that would cover any possible challenges and problems. Almost immediately after we got everything installed, we started experiencing issues with the freezers lock. Since then, we have called numerous times to ask to get it fixed. No one will attend the phone. When they do pick up, they tell us that we choose the wrong warranty plan, and they can't help it. I spent thousands of dollars on this ridiculous company. THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT SELLING, THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS. DO NOT BUY FROM them!

Do not buy Thermador! I own a 48" oven/range that was installed in 2007. I have rarely used it because it is a vacation home. Parts are no longer available (really?) and it looks like many people are looking for the same part...front wiring harness. This is a top of the line range that almost burnt the house down! I have spent $300 on service reps getting it diagnosed and hours looking for the part online because the service reps can only sell me Thermador parts which are no longer made! REALLY?? And, Thermador customer service...can only say "sorry, we no longer make the part". Do they really think that I will buy another $12,500 appliance from them? Anybody know of any class action suits? I own 2 of these units and I am ready to take them down!

When I remodeled my kitchen, I opted for high end, expensive Thermador Appliances. My double oven needs to have the touchpad replaced. Part not available. Unbelievable. My appliance will have to go to the dump instead of being repaired. Now I need to purchase and install another oven. Thermador does not take care of their customers, DO NOT BUY THERMADOR PRODUCTS.

Yes, it's been 12 years, but, for what we paid for this oven, to have the horrible response from Thermador. And, to have a piece of scrap metal after paying $480 in repairs...well, just unthinkable. Customer service was dismissive, at best. Condescending at worst. My story begins. Purchased 12 years ago, several repairs along the way, but she was well used. Then, about 4 years ago, the self cleaning went. I had only used it twice, so it was not worth putting up with or paying for repairs (which are quite expensive and require a Thermador Tech to come out). No error code, it just wouldn't work. Then, the broiler started to give me trouble. All of a sudden, we had the power go out and BOOM! We have no oven with 1 error code indicating the main circuit board is out. While the board was $250 -ish, with the service calls and labor, the cost was about $480. Which, I would have been fine with, if the oven worked.

The tech put the oven on, it went on, went to about 275, and he determined it was fixed. That evening, in preparation of dinner, I turned the oven on and it would not go beyond 325 before shutting down. I called back. We are on service call 3 at this point. He can't figure out the problem, maybe a faulty circuit board, he will have to contact Thermador and get back with me. Service call 4. Wow, big problem, it is NOW the blow motor. And, they no longer manufacture Blow Motors for this model. (Used to be a $100-ish part, pretty inexpensive). Well, sorry, but the main circuit board is not refundable, basically, "** you". I called Thermador, initially, to ask about the Blow Motor.

I was told, "Well, these aren't like automobiles where we manufacture parts forever". My response, "Well, you charged me as much as my first automobile, so I would think there should be an alternative". "Sorry, check online, see if anyone has old parts"...basically, "** you". So, I begin the search for a new oven, and yes, I have EXCLUDED Thermador from my search. I begin to think, how do I verify the tech didn't break this blow motor in his install? I do not think I should have paid for this repair if that is the case. Or, did he misdiagnose and there were 2 issues he should have seen, basically saving me the payment on the board.

So, I call Thermador again, to verify if there are multiple issues, should I have seen multiple error codes? Seems like a reasonable question. Well, customer service can't answer this. Only a technician can. "Ok, transfer me to a technician, please." "Well, they are on the road." "Well, can I leave a message." "Well, no." "Well, can someone else answer this?" "Well, of course not. But, I will be happy to get you another outside technician to come in." "But, you see, I know the error code, I know the part is not available, why would I pay for ANOTHER visit to tell me my oven is a 400# piece of trash?" Maybe I should be happy I had 12 years of reasonable happiness with her, but, I would hope that when you pay this much for an appliance the Co would stand behind her. Well, just to let you know, that will only last for a few years, until they stop manufacturing parts for it.

I was very disappointed with the dish washer, freezer and microwave. We bought all appliances from Thermador. The dishwasher is the worst. I had to get the microwave fixed 4x in 4 yrs. The Freezer, the Ice maker never work, they replaced parts still didn't work. Thermador was reluctant to replace or to fix. The dishwasher the cycle times are extremely long. I called Thermador and the customer rep came and told us that the company has not bothered to correct the. Do not buy dishwasher, freezer and microwave. I am using the Oven, the Stove and the wine cooler without problem.

Been having trouble with my Thermador PRL304EG ever since I have had it since 2006. Main electronic board after board, repair man can't put the finger on the issue. Maybe if parts were not made in China... They could make better ranges. Oven stops heating, or decides what it wants to do. I got a lemon in Thermador, or did I?? Probably all then same little cheap ranges... won't put their pants on and just replace unit. Repair cost for a Thermador is like 600.00 to $1000 a year (at least 2 services a year). If you want my advice, stay away from Thermador, because they sure do! Run Thermador run. Range should be giving me repair codes, but never in 10 years did it give any codes, not even once.

This 48" Range #PRD48JDGU has been giving me problems since I purchased it. At two months old the small oven went out. Then the control panel needed to be replaced. Then right front burner had to be replaced. Next Left front burner had to be replaced. Now the small oven fan won't turn off, and door will lock and unlock. I had to turn off entire unit. For fear that it's going to cause a fire. Customer Service is a joke. They put you on hold forever. I really believed in this company. But I guess because they have been around 100 years. They really don't care about the customer. As long as they are getting paid.

We purchased a Sapphire Glow dishwasher (DWHD651), the bottom rack is poorly designed, not structurally sound to hold the weight of the dishes, also the grid is too large so smaller dishes fall through. It buckles under the weight and the rollers come off the track. Also the cycle times are extremely long. I called Thermador and the customer rep told me they have received calls about the bottom rack problem. But the company has not bothered to correct the problem by redesigning the basket. Do not buy this dishwasher.

After purchasing our Thermador Range, Model # PRD366GHU in 2011, the oven has stopped working on multiple occasions. Only to finally find out, from the most recent service tech, that there is a design flaw in the range and the heat of the oven when it's in self-clean mode, trips a high-temp cut off, leaving the oven inoperable until the cut off is reset. So after spending all of the money that this high-end brand charges, you'd expect some sort of resolution from Thermador customer support... not so fast.

They have started a file, not approved reimbursement of the service calls and I continue to chase them after being promised callbacks. This seems to be a serious defect in this range, with multiple complaints regarding this very same issue. There appears to be no work around, other than not using the self-clean mode, REALLY? Consumers be aware. Thermador needs to respond and address this issue with their consumers. I've totally lost all brand loyalty.

I purchased a 48 dual fuel Thermador range on July 20th 2016. It is now September 22nd and it still does not work. The first problem after setting up making connections and checking for gas leaks I found the third valve from the left had a gas leak at the main manifold. So the process of repair begins. What a mess.

I call the authorized service facility four times trying to communicate with the repair technician so he would be able to order parts prior to traveling 110 mile to look at problem then return waiting 7-10 shipping days, two weeks, to get the part then make a return trip.

After the fourth call I was told I had to call between 8:00 and 8:30 to be able to talk with the repairman. FINE! So I call the next day and explain where the leak is. He orders parts. After two and a half weeks he makes the trip. Upon removal and disassembly he sees, Yep I was correct. Then he opens box at job site. I remind you I'm a 110 miles from the service station. So WRONG PART! Back to plan B.

I chew on them and they promise to expedite the correct part and open the box prior to leaving the shop. I receive a call after one and a half weeks. They have the part and the box was opened and it's correct. I am scheduled for the following Tuesday. So Monday arrives and I receive a call stating my parts will be on Thursday and I'm scheduled for the following Tuesday. NO NO NO! I'm scheduled for tomorrow. Nothing can be done no part!

The serviceman arrives a week late and makes the repair. Before he leaves we have troubles with the two XLO burners on the two outsides of the stove top. He says I have a power problem and it was up to me to fix. I'm an electrician and told him I didn't believe that. He returns to the shop. I pull the range back out and test. NO power problem! I try the small left-hand oven and I get ERROR TEMP PROBE, call some 1-800 number so I do. Yep I'm in need of service. So back to the service station I go. I've received a call stating the part is in. However the serviceman is on vacation until October 2nd and I'm scheduled for the 4th.

I've tried several calls direct to Thermador. The last call I was told I would receive a call back on what they plan to do about this problem. This is the fourth day and no return call. I just want this thing out of my house and I'm done with it! Outside of an attorney I'm not sure what I am able to do. I'm going to call consumer reports next. DON'T ever buy one of these! Terrible quality control and even worse service network!

I first called Thermador to deal with 2 issues in my range over 3.5 months ago. Since then, their technician came to my house only 6 times and still hasn't fixed the issues. He promised to come multiple times but had to cancel because his dog wasn't feeling well (I can't make it up). And then he went on vacation, then he was too far, too tired etc. I called the company and was treated with disdain. They just suck!!!

Spent over $27,125.00 on Thermador appliances. 48" range knobs were very loose and oven temp was not working. It was on 350 but the oven would only slightly warm. Got a new thermostat knob yet the oven does not heat up accurately. Smaller oven to this day still does not work properly. Bake means broil!! We can never get a correct temp. And for the first 5 mins it broils no matter what temp you are on. Fridge/freezer side by side was delivered with broken wheels. Ice machine has broken twice - Went months without ice. Drawers have broken. Now our dishwasher on the outside panel has RUSTED. How does stainless steel rust? The whole front is brown.

We sent pics in and complained. "Oh but you only have 30 days on cosmetics. Buy this cleaner..." Customer Service is disgraceful. They don't care at all - I want a Thermador sales rep in my house NOW! Shame on you Thermador. You have no customer service loyalty. You took my money and won't help anyone by the looks of things, not just me. Be warned. Don't buy Thermador, I am sick over this...

Use gas range daily, no problem. Rarely used oven, maybe 20 times the most before it stopped working. Replaced electronic module located between oven and range. How stupid! Used the oven less than 15 times within 3 years and it failed again. The last visit cost $700. After reading all the negative comments about Thermador, I am buying an electric oven and the hell with this piece of junk! Frustrating to spend 2 hours baking and the meatloaf was cooked only on the surface. That darn thing quit half way without warning!

I have had a very disappointing experience with Thermador and apart from keeping an induction cooktop since my granite was already cut! I returned all of my other Thermador items. The dishwasher (included in a buy +2 appliance package) independently measured as high as 70dBA vs. the advertised 48dBA. The 30" micro/oven wall combination came (twice) with a misaligned oven door. It was confirmed to me, after the fact, by a Thermador customer service person that Thermador is actually shipping ovens with a "known" defect that supposedly has an "easy" fix of replacement hinges. The issue is that NO ONE seems to know this! Not the Tech nor the appliance store. So +7 hours and 3 technician visits later (with minimum of 2 weeks between visits as I as told there are ONLY 2 techs that service the entire Austin, TX metro area).

I am done with Thermador. I live in fear that should I have ever have a maintenance issue with the induction cooktop I have a 50% chance of getting the technician that was rude, condescending to me, my contractor, my designer and carpenter. So let me get this straight -- THERMADOR, you want me to pay top $$$ for your appliances. Chances are they may arrive defective. No one will know how to fix them (who wants a new $5000 appliance to need to be fixed anyway?) and on yeah, have to wait +2 weeks for a technician to come into my home and insult me. It doesn't get any worse than that. Thermador if you are reading this - shame on you!!! Perhaps you need to take a page from the KitchenAid playbook on how to treat your customers that are spending a ton of money on your over-hyped products.

Thermador does not stand behind its products or its service. I had a repair done and a faulty piece of equipment was installed. I know this because THE THERMADOR TECHNICIAN TOLD ME SO when he came out to replace my igniter a year and a half after I had mine replaced. He also told me to apply for a refund, because faulty equipment should not be subject to the one-year limit on the warranty. Thermador refused to stand by this, the technician changed his story, and I will never do business with them again. They are dishonest and horrible to deal with.

It is amazing these oven units cost so much, considering they are so poorly made. However, my biggest problem with Thermador appliances is that the authorized repair people are laughably inadequate. Guy came to fix our oven and was beyond insulting to me. I requested a second guy, who fixed the first problem but then did something that incapacitated 3 out of 6 of our burners, which had worked perfectly when he walked in the door. He told me it would be another $1000 to fix the burners. Really? In the last house we rented, we had a Thermador microwave which did nothing but turn food into a slimy mess. Popcorn could not be made in the microwave. Really? This brand seems awful all the way around.

NEGATIVE STAR RATING!!!! We spent almost $6K for a double-oven that is BARELY USED. After 4 years, the top oven burnt food and blew up Pyrex baking dishes within just a few minutes at 325 degrees. Thermador customer service informed us that we would have to absorb any diagnostic and repair costs since the 2-yr. manufacturer's warranty has expired. This is unacceptable!!!!

We paid a LOT of money for this range 15 years ago ($18,000 or more). Eight years ago a burner went out and the service tech told me the part is no longer made. This made me angry but because we had 6 burners I was not too concerned. Now we have a thermostat out and it is discontinued. The range still looks brand new. Now we have junk.

Having considered Thermador appliances, then reading many of these posts, it seems to me that people with Thermador products that are still under the mfgrs warranty should contact a Lemon Law attorney. The Lemon Laws are not just for cars but for everything that comes with a warranty and an expectation of serviceability. I'm sure a couple of "legalese" letters demanding a full replacement or refund will wake the Thermador customer service folks up - Germans hate the US legal system and try to avoid its clutches whenever possible...

We had problems finding the Thermador Control and Timer knobs and the little on off button because they stopped making them. I guess they want to sell their newer less dependable products but we have found them all on eBay as of last month. VOILA!

A few months after the 2-year warranty expired on my $1000 built-in Thermador MBES microwave, it died. The technician tells me it is common for the inverter and a magnetic device to fail in these microwaves and the repair was going to cost, including his visit, $750! I spent $60 on a nearly new Panasonic countertop microwave and it works just fine. Shame on Thermador for building expensive products that are crap.

Thermador Company Profile