Thermador

92%

Compare Appliances

Research top Appliances recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

1,444people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Thermador:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

We purchased a Sapphire Glow dishwasher (DWHD651), the bottom rack is poorly designed, not structurally sound to hold the weight of the dishes, also the grid is too large so smaller dishes fall through. It buckles under the weight and the rollers come off the track. Also the cycle times are extremely long. I called Thermador and the customer rep told me they have received calls about the bottom rack problem. But the company has not bothered to correct the problem by redesigning the basket. Do not buy this dishwasher.

After purchasing our Thermador Range, Model # PRD366GHU in 2011, the oven has stopped working on multiple occasions. Only to finally find out, from the most recent service tech, that there is a design flaw in the range and the heat of the oven when it's in self-clean mode, trips a high-temp cut off, leaving the oven inoperable until the cut off is reset. So after spending all of the money that this high-end brand charges, you'd expect some sort of resolution from Thermador customer support... not so fast.

They have started a file, not approved reimbursement of the service calls and I continue to chase them after being promised callbacks. This seems to be a serious defect in this range, with multiple complaints regarding this very same issue. There appears to be no work around, other than not using the self-clean mode, REALLY? Consumers be aware. Thermador needs to respond and address this issue with their consumers. I've totally lost all brand loyalty.

I purchased a 48 dual fuel Thermador range on July 20th 2016. It is now September 22nd and it still does not work. The first problem after setting up making connections and checking for gas leaks I found the third valve from the left had a gas leak at the main manifold. So the process of repair begins. What a mess.

I call the authorized service facility four times trying to communicate with the repair technician so he would be able to order parts prior to traveling 110 mile to look at problem then return waiting 7-10 shipping days, two weeks, to get the part then make a return trip.

After the fourth call I was told I had to call between 8:00 and 8:30 to be able to talk with the repairman. FINE! So I call the next day and explain where the leak is. He orders parts. After two and a half weeks he makes the trip. Upon removal and disassembly he sees, Yep I was correct. Then he opens box at job site. I remind you I'm a 110 miles from the service station. So WRONG PART! Back to plan B.

I chew on them and they promise to expedite the correct part and open the box prior to leaving the shop. I receive a call after one and a half weeks. They have the part and the box was opened and it's correct. I am scheduled for the following Tuesday. So Monday arrives and I receive a call stating my parts will be on Thursday and I'm scheduled for the following Tuesday. NO NO NO! I'm scheduled for tomorrow. Nothing can be done no part!

The serviceman arrives a week late and makes the repair. Before he leaves we have troubles with the two XLO burners on the two outsides of the stove top. He says I have a power problem and it was up to me to fix. I'm an electrician and told him I didn't believe that. He returns to the shop. I pull the range back out and test. NO power problem! I try the small left-hand oven and I get ERROR TEMP PROBE, call some 1-800 number so I do. Yep I'm in need of service. So back to the service station I go. I've received a call stating the part is in. However the serviceman is on vacation until October 2nd and I'm scheduled for the 4th.

I've tried several calls direct to Thermador. The last call I was told I would receive a call back on what they plan to do about this problem. This is the fourth day and no return call. I just want this thing out of my house and I'm done with it! Outside of an attorney I'm not sure what I am able to do. I'm going to call consumer reports next. DON'T ever buy one of these! Terrible quality control and even worse service network!

I first called Thermador to deal with 2 issues in my range over 3.5 months ago. Since then, their technician came to my house only 6 times and still hasn't fixed the issues. He promised to come multiple times but had to cancel because his dog wasn't feeling well (I can't make it up). And then he went on vacation, then he was too far, too tired etc. I called the company and was treated with disdain. They just suck!!!

Spent over $27,125.00 on Thermador appliances. 48" range knobs were very loose and oven temp was not working. It was on 350 but the oven would only slightly warm. Got a new thermostat knob yet the oven does not heat up accurately. Smaller oven to this day still does not work properly. Bake means broil!! We can never get a correct temp. And for the first 5 mins it broils no matter what temp you are on. Fridge/freezer side by side was delivered with broken wheels. Ice machine has broken twice - Went months without ice. Drawers have broken. Now our dishwasher on the outside panel has RUSTED. How does stainless steel rust? The whole front is brown.

We sent pics in and complained. "Oh but you only have 30 days on cosmetics. Buy this cleaner..." Customer Service is disgraceful. They don't care at all - I want a Thermador sales rep in my house NOW! Shame on you Thermador. You have no customer service loyalty. You took my money and won't help anyone by the looks of things, not just me. Be warned. Don't buy Thermador, I am sick over this...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thermador?

Use gas range daily, no problem. Rarely used oven, maybe 20 times the most before it stopped working. Replaced electronic module located between oven and range. How stupid! Used the oven less than 15 times within 3 years and it failed again. The last visit cost $700. After reading all the negative comments about Thermador, I am buying an electric oven and the hell with this piece of junk! Frustrating to spend 2 hours baking and the meatloaf was cooked only on the surface. That darn thing quit half way without warning!

I have had a very disappointing experience with Thermador and apart from keeping an induction cooktop since my granite was already cut! I returned all of my other Thermador items. The dishwasher (included in a buy +2 appliance package) independently measured as high as 70dBA vs. the advertised 48dBA. The 30" micro/oven wall combination came (twice) with a misaligned oven door. It was confirmed to me, after the fact, by a Thermador customer service person that Thermador is actually shipping ovens with a "known" defect that supposedly has an "easy" fix of replacement hinges. The issue is that NO ONE seems to know this! Not the Tech nor the appliance store. So +7 hours and 3 technician visits later (with minimum of 2 weeks between visits as I as told there are ONLY 2 techs that service the entire Austin, TX metro area).

I am done with Thermador. I live in fear that should I have ever have a maintenance issue with the induction cooktop I have a 50% chance of getting the technician that was rude, condescending to me, my contractor, my designer and carpenter. So let me get this straight -- THERMADOR, you want me to pay top $$$ for your appliances. Chances are they may arrive defective. No one will know how to fix them (who wants a new $5000 appliance to need to be fixed anyway?) and on yeah, have to wait +2 weeks for a technician to come into my home and insult me. It doesn't get any worse than that. Thermador if you are reading this - shame on you!!! Perhaps you need to take a page from the KitchenAid playbook on how to treat your customers that are spending a ton of money on your over-hyped products.

Thermador does not stand behind its products or its service. I had a repair done and a faulty piece of equipment was installed. I know this because THE THERMADOR TECHNICIAN TOLD ME SO when he came out to replace my igniter a year and a half after I had mine replaced. He also told me to apply for a refund, because faulty equipment should not be subject to the one-year limit on the warranty. Thermador refused to stand by this, the technician changed his story, and I will never do business with them again. They are dishonest and horrible to deal with.

It is amazing these oven units cost so much, considering they are so poorly made. However, my biggest problem with Thermador appliances is that the authorized repair people are laughably inadequate. Guy came to fix our oven and was beyond insulting to me. I requested a second guy, who fixed the first problem but then did something that incapacitated 3 out of 6 of our burners, which had worked perfectly when he walked in the door. He told me it would be another $1000 to fix the burners. Really? In the last house we rented, we had a Thermador microwave which did nothing but turn food into a slimy mess. Popcorn could not be made in the microwave. Really? This brand seems awful all the way around.

NEGATIVE STAR RATING!!!! We spent almost $6K for a double-oven that is BARELY USED. After 4 years, the top oven burnt food and blew up Pyrex baking dishes within just a few minutes at 325 degrees. Thermador customer service informed us that we would have to absorb any diagnostic and repair costs since the 2-yr. manufacturer's warranty has expired. This is unacceptable!!!!

We paid a LOT of money for this range 15 years ago ($18,000 or more). Eight years ago a burner went out and the service tech told me the part is no longer made. This made me angry but because we had 6 burners I was not too concerned. Now we have a thermostat out and it is discontinued. The range still looks brand new. Now we have junk.

Having considered Thermador appliances, then reading many of these posts, it seems to me that people with Thermador products that are still under the mfgrs warranty should contact a Lemon Law attorney. The Lemon Laws are not just for cars but for everything that comes with a warranty and an expectation of serviceability. I'm sure a couple of "legalese" letters demanding a full replacement or refund will wake the Thermador customer service folks up - Germans hate the US legal system and try to avoid its clutches whenever possible...

We had problems finding the Thermador Control and Timer knobs and the little on off button because they stopped making them. I guess they want to sell their newer less dependable products but we have found them all on eBay as of last month. VOILA!

A few months after the 2-year warranty expired on my $1000 built-in Thermador MBES microwave, it died. The technician tells me it is common for the inverter and a magnetic device to fail in these microwaves and the repair was going to cost, including his visit, $750! I spent $60 on a nearly new Panasonic countertop microwave and it works just fine. Shame on Thermador for building expensive products that are crap.

Spent a lot of money on a built in ref/freezer from Thermador. Now that summer is here I have come to learn the ice maker only makes between 100-125 ice cubes/24hr. I find myself running to buy more ice as everyone wants ice in their summer drinks. This was never an issue with the Whirlpool freezer I basically wore out after 20 years. ALWAYS had plenty of ice as the maker would make ice when the lever was down signaling low ice. If I had known this I probably would have bought something else... cheaper worked well. I called customer service and they said that this was the feature and nothing more could be done.

We are now two months without a working freezer. I cannot stress enough how bad our experience has been. My wife is on the phone nearly everyday with customer service reps, but nothing gets done. They have sent the same incompetent repair people four times to no avail. They cancel appointments and reschedule without informing us. The corporate headquarters are in Germany, so there is no one else to talk to. At the same time, they have wanted to charge us $1,500 in labor costs. Can you imagine paying $1,500 for a job not done? I might add we have seven Thermador appliances in our kitchen! I would not recommend Thermador to anyone.

Updated on 08/01/2016: We have now entered our fourth month without a freezer. It is very clear to us that Thermador's game plan is to frustrate the customer so that he/she will eventually give up. To recapsulate: we had repairmen out four or five times unable to fix the problem. On four occasions, the company cancelled the appointment without informing us and we had to reschedule. This caused additional delays. Without exaggerating, I would say my wife has been on the phone with customer service more than 30 times.

Now they have offered us a new freezer at a discount, but will not provide any kind of installation or delivery into the house; nor will they remove the old, non-working freezer. The installers they recommend refuse to remove the old unit for "insurance reasons." They also refuse to bring the new unit into the house from the curb. So here we are: it will cost us nearly the price of the freezer to have the new one installed if we could find someone to do it.

My wife is in tears with frustration and anger. We have not been able to speak with anyone outside of "customer service". It is a German company with apparently no executives here. I want to restate that our unit remains under warranty. I can't think of a worse example of customer service in my 55 years. Next step: New York State attorney general.

Our drip pan for our indoor grill started bubbling & the paint chipped off. My first impression with the customer service rep was great. Then I received the phone call that Thermador refused to replace the drip pan after owning the stove top/oven barely after 1 year. What a huge disappointment; you spend so much money thinking the product will be high quality and in return they refuse to own up to a defect and provide good customer service. All of our appliances in our new remodeled kitchen are Thermador; I am afraid of what will not work next and what they won't replace!

First time using the self-clean function on my Thermador oven. Within 20 minutes, the interior glass shattered. Contacted Thermador customer service - they are not nice people - and after presenting my problem to management, the best they can do is give me 50% off the parts. The internet is filled with customer complaints about Thermador products; especially the oven. Some have had fires using the self-clean function; others have had the interior glass shatter. Stay away from Thermador and their sister companies. They do not back up their products.

When our old Thermador oven gave up the ghost, we looked at Thermador plus two other competitive top-end brands. Picking another Thermador was not a hard decision after twenty plus years of great experience with our old oven. We were really sold by the way Thermador has improved their already beautiful stove top. The new unique simmer feature where the burner actually turns off and on automatically is amazing.

After installation a major quality-control matter was discovered and I had an opportunity to call Thermador's customer service department directly. They were first class all the way. They listened, got the necessary information right away and within 24 hours the matter was set for resolution. Since this quality matter has been resolved we have loved using the oven and look forward to using it for many years ahead. We are extremely pleased with our experience dealing with Thermador's customer service and their management team who responded to our problem.

We purchased all Thermador Equipment for a kitchen remodel. After two weeks the refrigerator handle fell off our $9,000 column refrigerator/Freezer, then a couple weeks later the freezer handle fell off too. I contacted Setzer's (who I bought the equipment from here in Jacksonville FL) who contacted the repair center. This was in Mid February, and after several emails and calls it is now Mid May and still nothing! I also call Thermador who really didn't seem to care that their equipment is falling apart. I spent over $20,000 on Thermador Equipment, you would think they would have been somewhat concerned! I'm still working on getting these handles put on but I would not recommend getting Thermador. I will never use them or Setzer's again!

Bought Thermador gas oven, hood and dishwasher last December. I will never ever again buy Thermador and sister brands (Bosch, Wolf) nor will I recommend to anyone. Totally junk quality appliances. In the first week, they had to come back to service the dishwasher as all the settings were on max and melted a bunch of plastic containers. Then the oven - the paint started chipping off the burner tray. Tech came and replaced that. Then the exhaust fan in the hood started making very loud noises and the tech came again, said the fan has to be replaced (luckily under warranty) but no sign of the fan in six weeks.

Called them again and again and it is backordered! For a supposedly top of the line appliances, their customer service is atrocious - very indifferent attitude. They are not allowed to make follow-up calls so you have to keep checking. By the way, their parts are outsourced as is their technical service. Pure garbage. Thermador is made by Bosch so I imagine that Thermador, Bosch and Wolf are all equally crappy. Bought the entire set up late December and still everything not functional! Unreal! Too bad in NJ there is no lemon law for pricey appliances. Sorry there is nothing less than one star in the review category.

In today's day and age, it is clear that Thermador Customer Service does not care enough to adequately train their staff. I just got off the phone with a particularly sour man named Ray **. Not only was he unskilled (not listening to understand the consumer's question, inappropriately interrupting) but he conveyed a genuine disinterest in helping. After calmly asking that he stop interrupting twice, he continued to talk over me. What is particularly shocking is the fact that Ray ** is a supervisor - the person that you think would have the skills and training to perform in his role. I have significant experience delivering customer service on a daily basis and relatively little experience trying to access it; however, I will say that I have never been as irritated by a customer service representative as on this occasion. Thermador - get a clue!

We built our custom home in 2007 which was completed January 2008. We were living in California and spent five months out of the year in our future retirement home in Washington State. In 2014 we sold everything in California and moved permanently to Washington. In 2014 and 2015 we spent nine months of the year in Washington and the rest traveling and in Portland. My control panel went out on my double Thermador oven three weeks ago. I contacted Thermador and requested that they give us a discount on our oven part as we were not here using it as we lived in California and were not retired yet.

The management told us that it was too long since it was installed. This doesn't sit well with my husband and I at all. We have had Thermador products for the past 35 years with a double oven and single in California as well as a stove top. We WILL NEVER BUY FROM THIS COMPANY AGAIN. This oven cost almost $4,000. The appliance people who diagnosed the problem had a terrible time finding this part. This is not acceptable either. Thermador is not a company that we will recommend to anyone with the outcome of this problem. Their management SUCKS.

We spent $20,000 on Thermador appliances in Aug. 2015, and our $8000.00 freezer continuously fails to produce ice or when it does the entire bin freezes into a solid block. We've had the ice maker replaced once already and this one has stopped as well. Now only 7 months old we are informed that we will have to buy a replacement filter for $50.00 for it every 6 months!!! (And no doubt will have to pay an exorbitant service charge every time once the warranty runs out.) We bought a used Kitchen Aid for $200.00 twenty three years ago to use in our basement and have never had to spend an additional cent on it!!! I will never buy another Thermador appliance.

Bought all products (wall oven, range, refrigerator) from Best Buy. Sale items packaged together. Biggest mistake of my life. Fridge did not work from get go. Got no response from either company until I hit their web pages and blasted them. Now, less than four years later, ice maker does not work. Over $500 to fix with a one year warranty. I do not need $500 worth of ice for one year. Wall oven: less than four years old. Close to $600 to replace heating board, again with only one year warranty. Range: sold to me not explaining it was for a center island. Didn't work. Shut down completely when turned on. Had to pull away from wall to get it to work. I've seen several complaints similar to mine with products from Best Buy. I think we should start a class action lawsuit.

Each grate on the cooktop has four rubber 'feet' inserted in a small hole. Cleaning and general use damage these pads and cause them to either tear apart or completely fall out, leaving the grate unstable and out of balance. Thermador did replace missing pads while the stovetop was under warranty, but the poorly thought out design continues to be a recurring problem.

I concur with the previous reviews of Thermador Ovens. Our ovens are 12 years old and they do make the parts that we need to make the ovens work. I did some homework and US companies do not have to make parts after 7 years. We are replacing our ovens with Miele ovens. It is a shame U.S. manufacturers treat their own with such ridiculous laws. I will never, ever purchase a Thermador appliance or product!!

Purchased new for $7500 and has been nothing but a nightmare since. Bake element blew up 3 days after delivery. Control board shorted out 2 weeks after that. All of those 2 problems were manufactures warranted. Bake element has consistently burned out at least once every year since. All costing $128.00 each time. Less than 5 months ago the 2 fuses blew along with the bake element and the control board. That cost over $1200. Turned on the oven yesterday and the bake element blew up again with a loud electrical shorting noise. This time, the back side of the range caught on fire. I have burn damage to my hardwood flooring and wet plaster wall behind the stove.

If I had been some regular consumer that did not have the knowledge on how to kill the power to the stove, it would have burned my house down. The stove is now a total loss. All of the wiring has burned up, along with considerable smoke damage to my home. I am thoroughly disgusted with Thermador. I plan to take civil action against Bosch, and file a class action lawsuit. This is a problem that has the potential to kill someone. Bosch and Thermador are fully aware of the problem and have chose to ignore it for many years. They will no longer ignore me. Please feel to free to respond to my posting if you desire to join the class action lawsuit.

We purchased Thermador double ovens for a brand new custom kitchen about 13 yr ago. We called Eatontown appliance of Eatontown NJ for service since we purchased the ovens there. It was $100 service call to inform us 2 days later that they can't get the parts as Thermador no longer carries them. So I called Thermador itself and they were very polite but totally unapologetic. "You might be able to get them for a parts store on Internet (did not work)." So unless you plan to throw out your ovens if you have a or any Thermador product I recommend you buy some other product. Eatontown wasn't much help either unless you want new ovens. Definitely not from them.

Was excited about getting a steam oven in April 2015. I like to bake bread. Disappointed that top temp is 450 degrees F. Still, it makes nice (not great) bread. But really upset that the light bulb blows out because its glass enclosure has a seal made of crumbly black stuff that lets the steam right in. When I tried to order replacement gaskets, I was told I had to order the entire glass cover, as well. Rip-off! In this century, gaskets like this should last for Years!