Compare Reviews for Pest Control Companies
Insect and rodent pests carry diseases, cause property damages, irritate allergies and do other harm to people. However, there are many companies that are experts in dealing with infestations.
Pest control professionals can identify the types of pests that are plaguing a property. They can then rid a space of unwanted critters and help property owners take preventative measures to ensure homes and businesses are not infested again.
Top 10 Best Rated Pest Control Companies
|Read 5747 Reviews|
Terminix, with over 85 years of professional experience, offers more than just termite removal services. They present complete pest control techniques that include insulation services to prevent encroachments.
|Read 7 Reviews|
As a commercial solution to pests and vermin, Ecolab Pest Control offers a range of services for numerous industries. They offer specialized services for food-serving businesses and hospitality providers.
|Read 8 Reviews|
With 16 service locations nationwide, Bulwark Exterminating offers a complete line of pest control services. They include unlimited re-services at no cost if the pests do not vanish after the first treatment.
|Read 30 Reviews|
Riddex Plus Pest Repeller offers a new take on pest control. Avoid harsh and poisonous chemicals by using their digital pulse technology, which generates a high-pitched sound that humans can't hear to drive away pests.
|Read 9 Reviews|
Black & Decker Ultrasonic Pest Repellers offer a non-toxic way to remove pests from the home. The electronic signals emitted work to deter insects and critters, creating a pest-free space without the chemicals.
|Read 440 Reviews|
Orkin offers pest control services throughout the country, researching active pest levels by season to switch out repellents based on activity. They also offer both residential and commercial services.
Bell Environmental Services offers services that handle infestations in virtually any setting. They use Instant Freeze® to tackle infestations in electrical equipment, so the bugs depart while the computers stay running.
Southern Pest Control provides an affordable solution to termites and other pests. Get discounts on two-year service contracts in addition to discounts on termite and pest control package deals.
|Read Expert Review||Be the first one to rate this company|
Steritech Pest Prevention takes a Zero Tolerance® approach to commercial pest control, combining industry-leading techniques with regular maintenance to destroy infestations within 45 days of the first treatment.
|Read Expert Review||Be the first one to rate this company|
McCloud Services is the go-to provider of pest control management in the food supply industry. They work with some of the largest food brands in the U.S. to ensure that products go from production to sale with no pest problem.
The ConsumerAffairs Research Team believes everyone deserves to make smart decisions. We aim to provide readers with the most up-to-date information available about today's consumer products and services.
What features matter most?
Types of pests
Pests often invade homes, but not all pests are created equal. Pest control companies deal with a range of unwanted critters, and consumers should choose a company that specializes in the type of pest they’re worried about.
- Rodents: Some pest control companies work on ridding spaces of rodents like rats and mice. These companies may not have specialized solutions for dealing with insects (like sprays, chemicals, etc.), but they do have specialized knowledge for ridding of animals (e.g. with traps, steel wool, building maintenance, etc.)
- Insects: Insect infestations are also a common problem that certain specialized pest control companies deal with. Companies that deal with insects often have specific sprays or poisons that can be sprayed to rid houses of bugs. They also have knowledge of using traps to attract and kill bugs, as well as different natural preventative methods families can take to ensure bugs do not re-infest a home.
- Less common pests: Some pest control companies deal specifically with more specialized problems, such as bedbugs, raccoons, or termites. While some large, generalized pest control companies are well-versed in more common insects like ants, roaches, and mosquitoes, more specialized companies can deal with problems that are rarer (like bed bugs) or regionalized (like scorpions).
Getting rid of pests often requires the use of harsh chemicals, but companies can use products of varying toxicities in order to end infestations. In fact, some companies focused on eco-consciousness don’t use chemicals, but implement different, natural ways to get rid of pests instead.
- Traditional pest control companies: A traditional pest control company often uses very harsh chemicals, like pyrethroids and pyrethrins, to get rid of bugs, and these have a bigger impact on the environment than some eco-friendly methods.
- Green pest control companies: Green pest control companies use methods or materials to get rid of pests that are friendlier to the environment, such as chemicals with lower toxicity or natural products, like boric acid.
- Multi-faceted pest control companies: Many pest control companies today use a combination of strong toxins when infestations are particularly large and hard to treat, or when they have not responded to less harsh treatments, and eco-friendly, more gentle treatments when infestations are not particularly difficult or when pest problems are mild.
Cost and billing
As with any service, it’s important for homeowners to research the cost of a pest control treatment and how they’ll be billed. Customers should research available payment methods for each company, and should also look for specialized pest control plans while they’re shopping (e.g. restaurants can search for pest control companies that specialize in commercial hospitality services).
- One-time service cost: Some pest control companies charge users for the one-time service they need to deal with pests in their home, and they accept these one time payments via cash, credit card, or personal check, depending on the company.
- Regular service and billings: To deal with pests that come seasonally or regularly throughout the year, like ants, moths, or mice, some pest control companies come to homes for regular service to ensure that pests are removed and do not come back, no matter the weather or time of year.
- Customized billing plans: Some pest control companies that develop strong relationships with businesses or individuals will work together to devise a custom plan for long-term pest control.
It’s important to do background research about a company’s track record before hiring. There are many pest control companies out there, but not all of them provide the same quality of service.
- Proven track record: Some pest control companies have been successful at dealing with infestations for a long time; good reviews of a company are an indicator that they will most likely do a good job and are a worthwhile company to work with.
- New company: Many new pest control companies - particularly eco-friendly ones - are not as tried and tested as older companies, and their reputation remains to be proven. This means that spending money on them for pest control services could be a gamble, since their success removing pests has not been proven time and again.
- Bad reputation: Some companies develop a reputation for being ineffective or unpleasant to deal with. Companies often develop a bad reputation for having poor customer service, extremely high prices, or treatments for pests that do not work.
Pest infestations can be extremely personal since they take place in a person’s home. To deal with such a problem, pest control companies need to have customer service teams and plans in place.
- Personalized service: Some pest control companies offer a lot of personal attention to each customer, by checking in regularly about the status of pests in their home and addressing any ongoing concerns, and they can establish their pest control plan based on individual needs.
- Remote customer service: Some pest control companies use customer service methods online via web forms or e-mail addresses that allow customers to submit questions or concerns and wait for an answer from a company, making the customer-company relationship feel more cold and less personalized, often feeling more frustrating and less satisfying to deal with.
- Versatile customer communication: Some pest control services offer customer service options both via online and remote forums, as well as on the phone, which means that some customer problems are handled personally, while others feel more distant and impersonal.
Not all pest control companies use chemicals to get rid of pests. In fact, there are several different ways that companies get rid of infestations.
- Preventative care: Some pest control companies specialize in setting up a system that makes it nearly impossible for an infestation to happen in the first place. Some preventative care measures include filling holes through which pests can come in, removing items to which they are attracted, and spraying chemicals which repel them to keep them away.
- Chemical control: Chemical control is a popular method of getting rid of pests in a home, during which a pest control company uses harsh chemicals, like Piperonyl Butoxide, to rid the house of unwanted creatures.
- Traps: Some pest control companies specialize in using traps to capture pests rather than kill them with chemicals. Traps are often preferable for eco-friendly customers who don’t like the use of chemicals in their space.
What are different types of pest control companies?
These pest control companies can help rid a home that has already been infested with rats, mice, and other rodents or set up preventative measures, like mouse traps, steel wool-fillers, and repellant chemicals so these animals never enter a home.
Insect control specialists rid both homes and businesses of spiders, flies, ants, roaches, and other common insects. Some insect control companies do not deal with rodents, and thus are a better choice for a business or residence that is only dealing with bugs, not rodents. Insect control companies have a specialized knowledge of how to get rid of insects, and they are often equipped with a wide range of chemicals to do so.
Specialized pest control
Some pest control companies specialize in a very specific type of pest control, such as bed bugs, termites, or raccoons.
Who's it for?
Landlords of large residential buildings
Landlords of large buildings have control over many individual units, and these customers often deal with large-scale infestations and need to prevent infestations, since tenants are living close to one another. Landlords are often hands-off, in terms of maintaining buildings, so they may need to set up regular plans with pest control services who can visit and treat apartments for tenants, even when landlords are not around.
People who own their own homes often deal with small-scale infestations, since their spaces tend to be smaller.
Apartment & condo owners
Because these consumers own a unit within a larger building, they are sometimes affected by the pest problems of units around them. Condo and apartment owners often experience more problems with roaches, due to a great amount of food and waste around their homes, and they are more often affected by bed bugs, which spread from one infested unit to another.
Commercial property owners
Commercial property owners often deal with larger scale insect infestations, or they deal in businesses that particularly attract rodents, like restaurants, bars, and manufacturing plants (among others).
Orkin is one of the most popular and largest pest control companies in the world. The company serves businesses and residential property owners both across the country and internationally.
Terminix is one of the world’s leading pest control companies. Established in 1927, it serves both residential property owners and commercial property owners.
- Guarantee: Terminix offers customers a guarantee called the Terminix Ultimate Protection Guarantee, which offers customers lifetime damage coverage so they never have to pay for termite treatment again, and a money-back guarantee which will refund the customer’s money if they are not 100% satisfied.
- Resources: Terminix is part of ServiceMaster, which is a large family of companies that has a number of resources for technological advancements and perfection of service.
- Convenience: The company provides pest control services to countless locations across the country.
- Services: Terminix services include pest control, termite treatment, mosquito control, bed bug treatment and more.
- Customer service: The company offers 24/7 customer service, as well as an online help form.
- Best for: Landlords of large residential buildings, single-family homeowners, apartment & condo owners and commercial property owners.
Founded in 1999, Bulwark Exterminating is a family-owned pest control company that offers a variety of pest control services. The company was founded by brothers who had experience in pest control sales but realized no pest control company on the market offered a complete, 100% range of services for residential customers who needed them.
Southern Pest Control serves homeowners in Georgia, Virginia, Maryland, Tennessee, and Texas. The company is one of the top 100 largest pest control companies in the United States.
Ecolab is a large company that is known for its hygiene, water, and energy services. The company provides pest control primarily for hospitality and food services.
Steritech is a pest control company that only handles commercial properties. It is the second largest commercial-only pest control company in North America.
- Company reputation: Steritech has a reputation for serving commercial clients across North America, and more than 60,000 customers use its services.
- Brand relationships: Steritech is focused on building connections with brands, and it can help protect the reputation of brands that have experienced an issue with pest infestation.
- Location: Steritech can service companies located almost anywhere in the country.
- History: Steritech has only been in business since 1986, so its reputation is not as proven as some of the older pest control companies. However, it is continually growing.
- Focus: Steritech is a commercial-only company.
- Best for: Commercial property owners
McCloud Services specializes in pest control for health care, hospitality, property management, and retail properties. The company has been in business since 1904.
- Reputation: The company has been successfully treating pest infestations in commercial buildings for more than 100 years.
- Brand protection: McCloud Services will partner with a brand to protect its reputation should the threat or risk of pests ever be a problem.
- Specialized services: This company is very specialized in providing pest control services to the industries it is geared toward, including food services, health care, retail, manufacturing, processing, distribution and more.
- Service: McCloud only serves businesses that operate in certain fields, which limits the types of buildings and people that can benefit from its services.
- Service areas: McCloud does not serve the entire country. It provides service to Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, and Tennessee.
- Best for: Commercial property owners
Plunkett’s Pest Control has over 100 years of experience serving the U.S. Midwest region. The company deals with pests in 10 upper Midwest states, and it deals with a range of pest infestation problems.
- Variety of services: Plunkett’s deals with a huge range of pests, including bedbugs, rodents, and insects.
- Knowledge of pests: Plunkett’s has over 100 years of experience working in pest control, so they have developed a range of experience dealing with different types of pest control cases and countless types of pests over their century in existence.
- Family-owned: Plunkett’s is a family-owned and operated business that has an emphasis on customer service and compassion from its owners and employees.
- Service area: Plunkett’s is headquartered in Minneapolis and serves customers in 10 states including Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Nebraska, Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
- Customer service: Although Plunkett’s is a family-run company, the business serves many customers. Plunkett's strives to make communication with their customers as efficient as possible to ensure problems are handled quickly and correctly every time.
- Best for: Landlords of large residential buildings, single-family homeowners, apartment & condo owners, and commercial property owners.
Sprague Pest Solutions serves the Northwestern United States. It offers pest control solutions for people throughout Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, and Nevada.
- Pest control methods: BrandSmart Pest Advantage is a proven method developed by Sprague. It goes beyond integrated pest management and includes pest prevention, brand protection (creating a partnership between a business and Sprague), and environmental stewardship.
- Environmental consciousness: Sprague has its own environmental philosophy, and its service strategies are based on green-friendly principles.
- Reputation: The company has been around since 1926 and has succeeded in providing excellent pest control services to the Northwest U.S. for nearly 90 years.
- Location: The company only services one part of the United States.
- Focus: Sprague Pest Solutions focuses mainly on commercial properties, and in some states, residential service isn’t available.
- Best for: Landlords of large residential buildings, single-family homeowners, apartment & condo owners, commercial property owners
Wil-Kil Pest Control is a popular pest control company in the Midwestern United States. The company was founded in Milwaukee in 1924, and now serves areas in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, and Michigan.
- Reputation: The company has had more than 90 years to establish itself as a leader in the industry.
- Pest control approach: Wil-Kil uses an approach called Integrated Pest Management, which is made up of several pieces including education, inspection, pest exclusion, trapping, sanitation, and documentation. This is one of the most thorough approaches to pest control, and helps ensure that pests are removed and do not come back.
- Wide range of services: The company provides a wide range of services, including bird control and insect control. It also handles bedbugs.
- Location: The company serves one geographic area, so it’s not a convenient option for people suffering from pest infestations in certain states.
- Services: This company does not specialize in rodent control, so it would not be helpful with that particular problem.
- Best for: Landlords of large buildings, single-family homeowners, apartment & condo owners, commercial property owners
Abell Pest Control is a pest control company that has been serving Canada since 1924. Founded by Earl F. Abell, the company's headquarters is in Etobicoke, Ontario.
- Free estimates: Abell provides free estimates so customers can check the cost before spending a dime.
- Guarantee: The company offers customers a 100 percent money-back guarantee if they are not satisfied with the service they receive.
- Credentials: Abell holds many credentials, including a QualityPro certification, and it is a member of the National Pest Management Association and the Canadian Pest Management Association.
- Wide range of services: The company services spaces for both residential customers and businesses, making them a good choice of pest control company for a wide variety of consumers.
- Electronic site management: Abell uses a high-tech Electronic Site Management platform that lets it keep up-to-date records, alert customers if there is a problem with their facilities, and map facilities and treatments.
- Best for: Anyone who needs quality pest control including business owners, homeowners and landlords.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.