Best Pest Control Companies
Household pests aren't only an annoyance — they can also damage your home and property. A good pest control company will evaluate the type of pest infestation and recommend safe, effective treatment options. Keep reading to learn more about the best pest control companies in your area.
- Our recommendations are based on what reviewers say.
- 4,191,395 reviews on ConsumerAffairs are verified.
- We require contact information to ensure our reviewers are real.
- We use intelligent software that helps us maintain the integrity of reviews.
- Our moderators read all reviews to verify quality and helpfulness.
Compare Top Pest Control Company Reviews
Read 1,269 Reviews
Specializes in most pests and small rodents. All services are covered by a 30-day money-back guarantee and include free touch-ups between treatments. Available nationwide for residential and commercial services.
|Get a Quote Call Center Open (877) 270-8454|
Read 131 Reviews
Treats over 20 types of pests, including insects, birds, rodents and other wildlife. Available in 18 states and Washington, D.C. Costs vary by pest, property size, treatments and seriousness of the infestation. Free quotes.
Read 124 Reviews
Treats most common insects, rodents, birds and other types of pests. Pricing is provided after a consultation or survey. Discounts are available. Services California, Arizona, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington.
Read 82 Reviews
General pest control plans and specific pest options. Services come with a guarantee. Offers a free, no-obligation estimate. Services available in Arizona, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah. Same-day service when possible.
|Get Started Call Center Open (888) 512-2587|
Read 11,950 Reviews
Provides standard pest control services for over a dozen types of insects and rodents, with optional add-ons available. One-time services cost $150 to $200; ongoing treatment costs $60 to $80 per month. Locations across the U.S.
Read 1,843 Reviews
Treats a range of arachnids, arthropods, insects and rodents. Free re-treatment within 48 hours of service, if needed. Available throughout the South, Midwest and West. Request a quote for customized pricing.
Chat with a ConsumerAffairs decision guideLive agent
Read 22,566 Reviews
Connects homeowners and renters with home improvement specialists for free. Average home improvement job costs between $120 and $6,000. Includes damage protection guarantee up to $500,000. Online booking available.
|Get a Quote Call Center Open (866) 782-4077|
Read 86 Reviews
Pest control company offering a monthly subscription. Thirty locations across the U.S. Offers a money-back guarantee. Triple-checks employees, who are trained in classes and by mentors. Free inspections and estimates.
|Get Pricing Call Center Open (435) 466-5067|
Read 12 Reviews
Offers science-based techniques for commercial application. On-site consultation is required to establish a targeted program for pests. Services are designed for food service, retail, hospitality and health care industries.
Chat with a ConsumerAffairs decision guideLive agent
Read 6 Reviews
Offers eco-friendly bedbug, pest and bird remediation services in the Northeast and mid-Atlantic. Available for residential and commercial customers. Utilizes canine inspections and proprietary treatments.
Chat with a ConsumerAffairs decision guideLive agent
How to choose a pest control company
Insect and rodent pests carry diseases, damage property, aggravate allergies and cause other harm to people. If you suspect a vermin nuisance, it might be time to call in the professionals.
Many companies are experts in dealing with pest infestations and can help you get pests out of your home quickly and safely. They can then help property owners take preventive measures to ensure their homes and businesses aren't infested again.
Pest control companies are regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and individual states. Local licensing requirements and regulations are typically set by your state’s department of agriculture. Below are steps you can take to choose a pest control company.
1. Properly identify the pest you need to get rid of
Pests often invade properties, but not all pests are created equal. Pest control companies most commonly treat insects like termites, spiders, ants, bedbugs, fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. Choose a company that specializes in the type of pest you’re most concerned about.
- Rodents: Some companies work on ridding spaces of rodents like rats and mice. They may not have specialized solutions for dealing with insects. Pest control technicians commonly work with traps, steel wool and building maintenance.
- Insects: Companies that specialize in insects often have specific poisons that can be sprayed to rid properties of bugs. They also know how to use traps to attract and kill bugs and are familiar with natural preventive methods to ensure bugs don't re-infest a home or business.
- Less common pests: Some companies specifically focus on bedbug, raccoon or termite control. While some large, generalized pest control companies are well-versed in more common insects like ants, roaches and mosquitoes, more specialized companies can deal with problems that are rarer (like bedbugs) or localized (like scorpions).
2. Consider the company’s commitment to eco-friendliness
Getting rid of pests often requires the use of harsh chemicals, but companies can use products of varying toxicities in order to end infestations.
In fact, some companies focused on eco-consciousness don’t use chemicals, implementing natural ways to get rid of pests instead.
- Traditional pest control companies: Traditional services often include pesticides that contain harsh chemicals, such as pyrethrin and pyrethroids. These can have a more negative effect on the environment than some eco-friendly methods. Other common chemicals include piperonyl butoxide, hydramethylnon and fipronil.
- Green pest control companies: Green pest control uses methods or materials that are friendlier to the environment to get rid of pests, such as chemicals with lower toxicity or natural products like boric acid.
- Multifaceted pest control companies: Many companies use a combination of toxic substances when infestations are particularly large or hard to treat and eco-friendly, more gentle treatments when infestations are not particularly difficult or when pest problems are mild.
3. Know how the company’s billing works
It’s important for homeowners to research the cost of a pest control treatment and how they’ll be billed. Examine each company’s payment options while you’re making comparisons.
- One-time service cost: Some companies offer one-time services to deal with pests; depending on the company, you can pay using cash, credit card or a personal check.
- Regular service and billings: Some pest control companies provide regular services to prevent and treat seasonal or year-round pests. These plans are often more cost-effective than getting one-time service.
- Customized billing plans: Some of the best pest control companies work to devise a custom plan for long-term pest control based on a client’s pest history, property characteristics and budget.
4. Research the pest control company’s reputation
It’s important to do background research and check out a company’s track record before hiring. There are many options out there, but not all of them provide the same quality of service.
- Proven track record: Some companies have been successful at dealing with infestations for a long time; good reviews of a company are an indicator that they will most likely do a good job and are a worthwhile company to work with.
- Time in business: Many new pest control companies — particularly eco-friendly ones — are not as tried and tested as older companies, and their reputation remains to be proven. This means that spending money on them for pest control services could be a gamble, since their success removing pests has not been well established.
- Qualifications: Technicians should be fully trained and licensed. It’s usually a good sign if there’s a certified entomologist on staff.
- Reviews: Check reviews to learn if the company’s customers are satisfied. Look for comments about getting quotes, scheduling, results, billing and overall friendliness. Choose a business with strong overall reviews and responses to negative feedback from customers.
What are the best pest control companies near me?
Local pest control companies have extensive knowledge about the pests and vermin in your area. We compared our favorite exterminators across the U.S. so you can find professional help for your pest problem.
- Fort Myers
- Green Bay
- Kansas City
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- San Antonio
- San Diego
- West Palm Beach
Pest control FAQ
What is the average cost for pest control service?
- The severity of the pest infestation
- The size of the building/space
- The species of the pest
- The number of treatments needed
Is monthly pest control necessary?
Some pest control companies offer a subscription service that may make frequent or recurring treatments more cost-effective. Getting regular preventive treatments is a smart choice, as most homeowners insurance policies don’t cover damage from pests.
A good exterminator will make an official recommendation based on your unique situation, but as a general rule, most homes need treatment once a quarter or every other month.
What does a pest control company do?
Pest control companies usually break down their services by species:
- Rodent control: These pest control companies can help rid a property that has already been infested with rats, mice and other rodents or set up preventive measures, like mousetraps, steel wool fillers and repellent chemicals, so these animals never enter again.
- Insect control: Insect control specialists rid both homes and businesses of spiders, flies, ants, roaches and other common insects. Some don't deal with rodents and thus are a better choice for a business or residence that's only dealing with bugs. Bug control companies have specialized knowledge of how to get rid of insects, and they're often equipped with a wide range of chemicals to do so.
- Specialized pest control: Some companies specialize in a very specific type of pest control service, such as treatment for bedbugs, termites or raccoons.
What is included in pest control?
- Preventive pest control: Some companies specialize in setting up a system that makes it nearly impossible for an infestation to happen in the first place. Some preventive care measures include filling holes through which pests can come in, removing items to which they are attracted and spraying chemicals to keep them away.
- Chemical pest control: Chemical control is a popular method of getting rid of pests in a home, during which an exterminator uses harsh chemicals, like piperonyl butoxide, to remove unwanted pests.
- Pest trapping: Some companies specialize in using traps to capture pests rather than killing them with chemicals. Traps are often preferable for eco-friendly customers who don’t like the use of chemicals in their space.
How do exterminators treat termites?
Baiting may be better for subterranean termites, while fumigation ends drywood termite infestations. Bait brings them out to the insecticide, which they bring back to other termites. Pesticides may be in the form of foam, liquid or dust.
How long does it take for an exterminator to get rid of roaches?
What does integrated pest management mean?
- Guide sources
- ConsumerAffairs writers primarily rely on government data, industry experts and original research from other reputable publications to inform their work. To learn more about the content on our site, visit our FAQ page.
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), “Regulatory and Guidance Information by Topic: Pesticides.” Accessed September 1, 2021.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Pest control company reviews
Orkin is one of the most popular and largest pest control companies in the world. The company serves businesses and residential property owners both across the country and internationally. It offers a variety of pest control services, including for termites, bedbugs, rodents, ants, roaches, spiders, scorpions, bees, ticks, mosquitoes and more.
Terminix is one of the world’s leading pest control companies. Established in 1927, it serves both residential and commercial property owners. In addition to termite treatment and prevention, Terminix technicians are trained in mosquito, tick and bedbug control. The company offers ongoing pest control services for 13 common household pests, including cockroaches, ants, mice, rats, wasps, spiders, moths, crickets, silverfish and earwigs. With the Terminix Promise, a pest control technician will come out to your home between treatments as needed at no additional cost.
Bulwark Exterminating services 12 states from over 25 locations, treating a long list of arachnids, arthropods, rodents and more. Request a quote to get customized pricing and treatment options. If pests return, Bulwark will return for a free re-treatment within 48 hours.
Ecolab is a large company that is known for its hygiene, water and energy services. The company provides pest control primarily for hospitality and food service businesses.
Steritech is a pest control company that only works with commercial properties. It is the second-largest commercial-only pest control company in North America. Steritech can service companies located almost anywhere in the country.
McCloud Services specializes in pest control for health care, hospitality, property management and retail properties. McCloud does not serve the entire country. It provides service in Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri and Tennessee. The company has been in business since 1904.
Plunkett’s Pest Control has over 100 years of experience serving the Midwestern region with pest control for a range of pests, including bedbugs and rodents. The company is headquartered in Minneapolis and serves customers in 10 states, including Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Nebraska, Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
Sprague Pest Solutions serves the Northwestern United States. It offers general pest control services for people throughout Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Montana, Wyoming and Nevada. Sprague Pest Solutions focuses mainly on commercial properties, and in some states, residential service isn’t available.
Abell Pest Control is a company that has been serving Canada since 1924. Founded by Earl F. Abell, the company has headquarters in Etobicoke, Ontario. Abell holds many credentials, including a QualityPro certification, and it is a member of the National Pest Management Association and the Canadian Pest Management Association.
Truly Nolen provides pest control for termites, rodents and other pests, whether it's treating a home or commercial property. Its services are offered in 18 states, plus Puerto Rico and some parts of Canada. Get a free estimate or check out the company's website for coupons.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.