4.10/5
Based on 2,097 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Terminix has earned a reputation of providing superior protection against termites and pests since 1927. Our innovative practices and expertly trained technicians make sure that your home and property are protected.

ABBB Rating
View More View More

10534 Terminix Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Called to see about removal of animal (assuming mouse/rat) that got in between the walls from outside. Investigator came promptly and assessed that animal likely got in through pulled open fascia near the roof. No signs of animal getting inside the house. Scheduled service costing about $1300. Contractors came within a week and sealed all holes around the house but did NOT remove the animal. Called to inform that we can still hear the animal running around between first floor bedroom ceiling and upstairs bedroom floor. Was told contractors will not come out for at least TWO MONTHS "so glue traps have time to work". In the meantime this animal can cause damage to my insulation, frame, wiring etc that could end up costing me thousands of dollars. Do not recommend.

Get expert buying tips about Pest Control delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I have same problem of increased price for the annual termite bond renewal as Robert of Mobile and Michele of Mobile dated Feb.13 & 8. I paid $377 for 2018, $359 for 2017, $349 for 2016... But for 2019 I am required to pay $1499 which is killing me. I called the local office and was told that some professional will call me back with 24 hours, but 3 days passed and nobody call back. Can anyone help me to get back to normal price?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

As other reviewers from Mobile AL, we get our renewal notice this year with $1499 renewal fee, up from a little over $300 last year. In fact, we did not even get our renewal notice, we discovered it by chance when we went into our online Terminix account. They should have send a detailed letter well in advance explaining this. Is it even legal to increase price that much?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I've been very happy with Terminix over the years hence the five-star rating. But that may change very soon depending on your response to the obscene rate hike you're imposing on a loyal customer. Check out my renewal fees for the last few years. 2013: $302.00. 2014: $302.00. 2015: $302.00. 2016: $302.00. 2017: $308.00. 2018: $317.00. 2019: $1499.00!!! What gives Terminix? A 372% increase in one year!

Terminix response

Robert, thank you for providing feedback about your service! We appreciate the opportunity to improve our customer experience.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Have had Terminix for decades. Quarterly service mediocre at best. ALWAYS see palmetto bugs and have had to call back the service man for additional services. Would not prorated my bill when he only did the outside (just showed up with no appointment). Terminated all service, look elsewhere for a better job. Very overrated and will not recommend Terminix in the future. There are better companies who would gladly accept my business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Terminix?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

We have been with Terminix for years with a previous home and this home we bought in 2015 and have always paid 308.00 a year for our termite bond. No claims have been filed on the home and the termite bond has been active on the home since the home was built in 1982. We were told our bond has increased to 1,499.00 a year from 308.00 a year. That is a 500% increase. That is outrageous to increase renewal fee that much. We had our annual inspection done yesterday 02/07/19 and the guy only did an exterior inspection and he was supposed to do exterior and interior. Said no one was available for interior and we set it up so someone would be home. They did half the inspection so I figure they are due have the renewal fee.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

This company does not follow their contract. When calling and asked to speak to a Supervisor, you have to leave message. NO SUPERVISOR RETURNS ANY CALLS. Their Customer Service Department are rude to their customers and do not follow what is asked. Worst company to have. SERVICE BAD. DOESN'T EVEN MAKE THE RIGHT APPOINTMENT.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Terminix service did the job with our carpenter ant problem. However they fail to communicate properly when they are coming and they are extremely aggressive and rude with bill collection. We sold our house and told them, "We would like to terminate service." The rep told us we are all set and thanks for letting us know. They still came and did outside service and sent us a bill. Because we moved out of state we did not receive the bill right away and when we did we assumed it would be no charge or paid in full.

We started receiving numerous annoying debt collection calls. I called collections and complained and she showed record of my call to end service. She told me there was nothing she could do about it and told me I would have to call customer service. So I paid the bill. CS was a long tedious call with no resolution except someone will call you. This is not the way to treat a long term customer who always paid on time.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I signed the deal with Don from Terminix to have fumigation done on my house in Dec-18. Purchased extra extended warranty ($250 for 1 more extra year) but never receive any paperwork or warranty certificate despite I repeat multiples times request for it. If I have need from Terminix for the warranty service 1.5 years from now, they can easily refuse since I may no prove that I have paid for the extended warranty. I call this cheating business. Where is the "100% satisfaction Guarantee" on their website? The fumigate team were carelessly performed their works, broke a tree branch (my favorite tree) which not even close to the wall. I am totally unsatisfied with the services provided by Terminix.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

During a service technician brings in trainee. I always had great service from the technician. But the only day that he had a trainee with him, a $50 gift card I had left on my counter disappeared. That gift card was there on the counter and it was never touched by anyone but myself. It only me and my kids. The kids didn’t touch the card the whole time we were home but how funny that it disappeared on that exact day that the technician had a new guy with him and my kids were home for about 5 minutes and then we had to leave. If anyone decides to get Terminix services, make sure to walk with them as they do the service.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I recently purchased a house that was under a bond and service with Terminix. The previous owner provided me the service invoice and so I contacted Terminix to transfer the bond and service. The lady on the phone looked up the information and said “yes” I could have the bond transferred and scheduled me for a local tech to come out. He no showed on me, and I had to call back. The lady helped me get in contact with the local tech who told me they would not transfer the bond. I didn’t understand why. I called back to corporate who again said they would transfer the bond and have the local manager call me within 24 hours. One week later the local manager called me to again say they would not transfer the bond. Stating that even though the previous owner had a bond and even though he paid for his annual service for 12 years; that I would have to have the house rebonded because his treatment was only good for 7 years.

I asked, "Why then would you continue taking the prior owner's money if his bond was no longer good? And if service was still effective for him why would termites know the house changed ownership for me?" His response was, "That isn’t how our zone handles bonds and corporate doesn’t dictate whether a bond can be transferred." Neither answering my question nor assisting me. I asked for an estimate since they already have the house information under a contract and he said they could not provide that either without a new inspection. Overall I had a very poor experience with my local Terminix that seemed to have all the business they wanted and very little customer service skills. I was able to call two competitors that were able to provide an estimate not a quote which seemed odd they couldn’t provide some idea on cost for a new bond or some deal given the house was under their service already.

Terminix response

We’re sorry to hear about your recent experience with Terminix! We value your feedback and would like a chance to resolve any issues. Someone from our local office will be contacting you to help assist with your resolution.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Loyal customers are penalized by annual rate increases: Every year Terminix has faithfully increased our rate. They claim this is "to allow us to provide the best service to our customers". Don't be fooled, this is purely based on greed and I will be switching providers if mgmt does not adjust my rate.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Had both Pests & Termites Control come in... Regarding technicians, no complaints. Courteous, professional, the works. The problem aroused with the "explanation" of frequency of visits and payments... CONFUSING! All in all paid $1,903.15 (one year) and still can't understand WHY! Have asked for someone in managerial position to call to no avail. Guess it's gonna be a "debut and farewell"...

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

If you have a complaint against the company, they do not listen! I have complained several times that they were not able to FULLY service my yard as I keep my back gates locked. I have two large dogs that I don't want getting out so I keep the gates locked at all times. They were to call me to set up service. They did not. When they came out, they would say they completed the job fully. That is not possible as they were not able to get into my backyard. When I called to cancel the service, they said they would remove the final bill. They did not. Now, the bill is in collections. I don't understand how a company can charge for a service only partially completed. They did not even offer to lower the cost. They expect full payment for a partial service. Be very careful if you choose to go with this company. I would NOT recommend them!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Extremely bad and sketchy service. They fumigated my house for termites and wrecked my new floor. When I came back and called them on it, they gave me the runaround for 3 months and then told me they weren't going to do anything about it. I'm canceling all my services with Terminix and moving over to their competition. I recommend you do the same.

No response received
Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I have been a customer for about 2 years. When we moved in, the house hadn’t been managed, had trees and bushes up to the house and for acres around, and had about 2” of insulation. The pest control service was keeping bugs and rodents at least knocked down, and I was advised that using their treated insulation and cutting brush/trees back would be what was needed to keep the rodents away from the house. Now my land has been cleared for acres around, and that has been about a year, so plenty of time for any displaced pests to disperse. For the last couple months the rodents have been out of control. Terminix “treated” insulation is just as comfortable for them as the old was. I have had the tech out in between my regular service every time. At this point I could do the same at a fraction of the cost. They are just putting out bait and shrugging shoulders when that’s not enough.

Since July I have replaced wiring that has been chewed (recently chewed because I rewired the house last spring), a $5000 HVAC unit (was a few years old but failed due to rodents, but I still didn’t complain because it was an older unit), but the last straw is the $1000 wiring harnesses I had to replace for my vehicle (parked in carport, which is treated and baited). Customer service is incredibly difficult to get a hold of, and their only solution is to offer to let me pay for another additional service. No chance of adjusting the current bill for pest control or insulation. At this point I really don’t know what I’m paying for, besides a premium cost version of product and service I could do myself or get elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

The Terminix inspector found five dead bed bugs in my house. He recommended treatment. The treatment was done on a Friday early morning. I followed the instructions - stayed away for more than four hours - then opened all windows and aired the place out for half a day before going back in. Both inspector and treatment specialist said I could stay in the house that very night. The next day, I got a severe allergic reaction - I could barely breathe, eyes were swollen, rash that has lasted now for more than 5 days. I had to go to the ER. Both the ER doctor and my general physician said I should avoid contact with the treated furniture and areas as re-exposure will cause additional allergies and could even lead to anaphylactic shock.

I contacted the inspector, the service specialist, the main Terminix number and the local branch manager requesting information on what exactly was sprayed and exactly where. I received zero call backs. I am now removing the sprayed furniture but still don't know what other areas - electric plugs, walls, etc. have been treated. Terminix charged $1,500 for a service that is literally killing me and it is not giving me any support while I am trying to undo what they have done (removing furniture and a professional house cleaning).

Insufficient response received
Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Called Terminix for a bat removal. The salesperson came to the house and told me about a deal if I financed the service and I wouldn't have to pay for a year or so (can't remember exact amount of time). I agreed and he later sent the techs out. The techs came and put one cone up in the attic where there was exposure to the outside, which basically cost me $1200.

About six months later I got a letter from a collections agency that Terminix had tuned me into. The financing apparently was never turned into the financing agency correctly and they had never notified me. It had nothing to do with me but that they didn't know how to push the financing through correctly in the small town where I had the work done. After numerous back and forths I just paid it off and cancelled all my services with them. It's not worth it because they charge a lot in comparison to other companies and apparently they don't train their employees on how to run the computers. Beware!!!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

On Thursday Terminix pulled $97 out of my account and today I have talked to five different people including a supervisor. Somehow it’s OK for them to pull your money out of your bank and account when you do not have an account with Terminix. They could not find me on their system not even by My name, address nor phone number cause I don’t have a account. 1st person was rude. 2nd person was a Supervisor. 3rd person was some helpful and better understanding then she sent me to a 4th person which was just the switchboard.

5 person was a jerk. Had no Care and had me in tears and yet finally I said, "You guys can keep the $97 that she withdrew out of my account and my three insufficient funds of $17 a piece that I have to pay for and also my $27 that the bank is charging me to place a stop payment on this piece of crap payment that came out of my account which I have proof of everything that I can’t give given every person or Miss **." "I cannot find you. Oh Miss **. I’m so sorry I can’t find you. You’re not even in their system." But how the hell do you take my money that I have earned and you can’t put it back? It is a joke. This was ridiculous and no one is even willing to help.

This company is a joke. No respect whatsoever. Yeah take my money. Here it is. You can have it. Sure why not? Who’s losing me - the consumers losing on an account that I don’t even have. I don’t have Terminix. I have a pest control company through my apartment complex that I live in under my contract that I don’t pay for so why the hell would I use Terminix for have no reason to do so. I feel use taking advantage of and nobody is willing to help me so this is why am Type in this document. Terminix is ridiculous and are not willing to help. Do not use them. They will take your money. Only God knows they took mine’s.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I HAVE NEVER HAD WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE OR RESULTS IN MY LIFE, especially with an established company. We had Terminix come TWICE and the problem was only getting worse. We had another, more local, company come in and they found the problem area where the roaches were coming from in 5 minutes, where Terminix didn't ever find it in TWO visits. All they did were spray a little here, a little there, and said give it 4 weeks before you call us back. And getting a hold of their customer service to get a refund was impossible! Staying on the phone for almost an hour just to be sent to different people higher up on the food chain. And NEVER being able to reach the person who could actually provide the refund they promised. The worst service I have ever had. More than anything, I would just appreciate a callback and a refund.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Thank you Terminix for a job well done! And thank you for allowing me and family to set up payment arrangements for your fumigation services. Thank you for bringing peace of mind and sleep to our home.

Terminix response

We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re glad to hear we were able to provide the service you needed.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Up to getting the customer to sign the paperwork and the payment is made for the job. They are very good. But for the compliance of the job for which they sign the contract they don’t do what they were supposed to do. No. Nothing as a customer loyalty to them. Very unprofessional peoples. I will ask all looking for something with them don’t even think of. Better chose a small companies who you can reach rather than going for the big name which is very bad. I am still after them and wants my money back as an unsatisfied customer but they are simply giving me layman excuses.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Terminix representative, Terry **, made deceptive statement during contract negotiations. Asked what APR for Terminix credit. He stated "1.5%". We elected to use Terminix credit for encapsulation service at a total cost of $8,900.00 based on Terry **'s verbal statement above. We provided a down payment of $1780.00 with a remaining balance of $7120.00. He then provided a tablet for spouse, Kim **, to sign. At the time my spouse thought she was signing a receipt for the $1780.00 payment. Later we discovered it was a contract that stated the APR was 18%. At no time did Terry explain the signature request on the tablet was a contract with a 18% APR. If fact, we never received any contract from Terminix until we questioned the first statement that had a $97.90 interest charge.

It should be noted the tablet only had the signature line visible. Two other things. We are in good credit standing and had other credit lines available to us. And second, the service provided could have been delayed several months. There was no logical reason for us to sign up for such a exorbitant interest rate. I am extremely disappointed in the level of deception that the Terminix employee participated in. They clearly intended to deceive and misled during a good faith transaction. We are considering the possibility of legal recourse.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Terminix was in my neighborhood selling their service for $99 a year. They came 3 months later and charged me $99 again and automatically took payment from my charge act -- I did not authorize! As of today I have called 4 times and my call is always "escalated" but no one calls me back -- correction, I did have one call back with comment "let me check this out & I will get back to you within 24 hours" ---- never did.

Insufficient response received
Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I contacted a service tech by cell phone that had previously came out to my home about setting up an Exclusion service. I'm on a crawl space foundation and recently moved to a more rural area. I contacted them because I had a squirrel problem and squirrel in attic, as well as coming in through chimney through attic and into my house. I was charged for service on my credit card But they never did work, which would of been extensive to close up all spaces around home and set up traps. I called Terminix several times to complain. Was told they were ordering parts, then someone's truck broke down.

Needless to say, after over a month. We had already removed the squirrels ourselves, and no one came to do the work. I had to dispute charge with credit card. Terminix sent false documents with my signature to my credit card, Saying I signed a contract and they did the work to my home. My credit card was recharged and was told it was valid. I had to send copies of my signature and pictures to show they never did the work and also that the signature was false. Again contacted Terminix multiple times to complain and also to report someone sent false documents to my credit card. But no one seems to care. They have dishonest managers and service techs. Trying to cover up a mistake they made. Now they are admitting they didn't do work because they didn't have access. And want to come 3 and a half months later to finish work. After someone sent false documents to my credit card???

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

When I first saw termites outside my house I immediately called Terminix due to the name. They rushed me into a contract, they didn't even check upstairs, told me I had no signs of them inside however I had them outside. They put up the bait system. There has been no contact with me since only the bill. One time I called them and they did send someone out to reassure me what I saw was not a termite. There has been no contact with me to tell me how this bait system is working. Also they never provided me with a hard copy of the contract and its warranty. Stupid me paid in full. I gave up trying to contact them.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I was a long time customer of Terminix, with an annual contract that allowed return visits between servicing if activity was detected. I did just that, calling over and over to schedule, without success. Finally, I was given a service date, but I warned that if I was stood up they would lose me as a customer. Sure enough, they were a no show. Later, after I canceled my service with them, I received a bill for a service date after cancelation. I called customer service, and a very nice man reviewed my account, apologized, and credited the amount allegedly owed. Since then, Terminix has billed me and called me, to collect for that credit.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Buyer beware. We hired Terminix to take care of termites in our home that we're putting up for sale. After we sold the house we have tried for over a year to cancel the account. We have spoken to Terminix multiple times to no avail. Last week we received a call from a service rep saying he was going to be servicing the account (we have not lived at this address for one year!). I called back and left a message stating we made no such appt. We have now been billed $254 for service we did not order, tried to cancel an account over 6 times, canceled the service via voice mail. Three days ago we called company one more time to cancel the account and were assured they canceled and promised to send us an email stating it was canceled. Received no email. Called again and we have finally received a cancellation email. Very frustrating experience.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Our monthly guy William is great. Everyone else not do much. Management pushes problems to the side. We put in for a complaint about rats. Took a month to with. Put in a complaint about the rats. We paid a lot to get rid of and it's been a week and no solution. Do living in our home 2 children and rats.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I called the scheduler to ask for a price for a termite inspection on a house I was buying. She said they offer same day service, and a branch office would call me with a price. I agreed. No one called, so I called back late that afternoon, and she said she could schedule me "tomorrow," which was January 1st. I asked, "Are you open on New Year's Day?!" and she assured me they would be open. I planned my day around the 1 to 5 window on the first. The inspector called about 2 p.m. to "confirm an appointment for tomorrow." I said, "The appointment is today", and he said, "It's a national holiday. No one is working on January 1st." OK. I need a price for the inspection. I called the scheduler back, and she said the initial inspection is free, and the inspector will talk about a treatment plan based on what he finds. "Wonderful," I said, and scheduled a January 2nd inspection with a 1 to 5 window.

The inspector came, and did a very superficial check. He REEKED of alcohol. Even the contractor I had working there mentioned it. It was bad. Then he asked me for a check for $125.00. Black Diamond is only $85. I wasted $40, wasted a bunch of time waiting for appointments that didn't exist, and got a poor inspection with a surprise FAT charge for nothing.

Terminix expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Terminix is one of the world’s leading pest control companies. Established in 1927, it serves both residential property owners and commercial property owners.

• Guarantee: Terminix offers customers a guarantee called the Terminix Ultimate Protection Guarantee, which offers customers lifetime damage coverage so they never have to pay for termite treatment again, and a money-back guarantee which will refund the customer’s money if they are not 100% satisfied.

• Resources: Terminix is part of ServiceMaster, which is a large family of companies that has a number of resources for technological advancements and perfection of service.

• Convenience: The company provides pest control services to countless locations across the country.

• Services: Terminix services include pest control, termite treatment, mosquito control, bed bug treatment and more.

• Customer service: The company offers 24/7 customer service, as well as an online help form.

• Best for: Landlords of large residential buildings, single-family homeowners, apartment & condo owners and commercial property owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Terminix Company Information

1927
6196 Lake Gray Blvd (Suite 110)
Jacksonville