3.8/5 (248 ratings)

About Terminix

Terminix is a pest control company that provides on-site pest protection for homes and businesses. Each visit is personalized to the specific types of pests causing problems for customers, which can vary from state to state or between different neighborhoods. Whether you know exactly what pests Terminix needs to treat or want support in determining the best plan of attack, Terminix can help.

Pros

• Skilled technicians
  • Wide range of services
  • Re-treatment guarantee

Cons

• Not available in every state
  • No specific pricing

Bottom Line

Terminix offers a wide range of effective and individualized pest control services. Residential and commercial services include customized pricing with a 100% re-treatment guarantee.

Top Terminix Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We have had very good monthly service from Terminix for several years now… When we had trouble with carpenter ants, they quickly identified the source of the colony and the queens...

Verified

I have been using Terminix for several years. They have kept my home bug and pest free. They are reasonably priced and their service technicians are professional and thorough. The...

What is Terminix?

Terminix provides pest control for common pests such as ants, wildlife, cockroaches and mosquitoes. It also offers termite control, flea services and bed bug removal. Terminix’s services are designed to help remove pests from your home and prevent any recurring issues.

Terminix’s services are available 24/7 for emergencies. To find a location near you, visit the company’s website.

What does Terminix do?

With Terminix, you can choose to receive one-time or recurring treatments. Customers typically purchase quarterly pest control plans. With quarterly treatments, you receive an initial visit to determine a customized plan of attack, including seasonal treatments of the most common pests.

All services include a 100% satisfaction guarantee that covers additional treatments if the pest problem isn’t solved.

How much does Terminix cost?

Terminix’s cost varies based on multiple factors, including your location, the size of your home and the pests you need removed. Each customer starts by scheduling a free inspection with a Terminix professional who creates a detailed, customized plan for pest control. This plan includes the price of service and how often treatment will be performed.

On average, Terminix’s prices range from $550 to $700 per year for a 2,000-square-foot home. The price varies based on the type of pest, how severe the problem is and how often professionals must visit the home. There are a few Terminix coupons available on its site and elsewhere that can help cover some of the cost of treatment.

Terminix FAQ

Who owns Terminix?
Terminix is owned by ServiceMaster Global Holdings Inc., a company that provides residential and commercial services. Its other companies include ServiceMaster Clean, Merry Maids and AmeriSpec.
What chemicals does Terminix use for roaches?
Boric acid is the most common chemical used to treat roaches.
Is Terminix safe for pets?
Yes. Terminix utilizes pesticides that are not harmful for pets.
How much does Terminix cost for mice?
It depends. On average, Terminix’s mouse extermination services cost between $300 and $500 but could be more depending on the severity of the problem.
Does Terminix have a payment plan?
For people who sign up for yearly services, Terminix offers flexibility in how the payments are made. For example, you can choose to pay individually for each treatment or pay the annual cost in one lump sum.

Is Terminix worth it?

Terminix is a well-known brand in the pest control industry. While prices aren’t shown anywhere and it’s hard to get a feel for how much it actually costs to use Terminix, customers receive a free inspection and quote for personalized prices. For this reason, Terminix is a great option for home or business owners who want a partner for their pest control that offers flexibility in price and services.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Terminix?

Original review: July 12, 2022

Terminix's customer service was good before. The biggest difference that comes to mind is the text communication. I'm easily able to communicate with the person who was treating my house for scheduling, questions, or when they were coming. Something about your automated system makes that easier to text. Communication with the technician has been good. And I credit that to the technician. William, the guy who services my house, is very on the ball.

There is one frustrating part. Some headquarters office scheduled for the tech and told the tech where to go, like what region he would be servicing, what area, etc. on certain days. And they give him very little notice, which means he gives me very little notice. And he would text me and say, "Hey, I just found out I'm coming your way tomorrow." And that's just not enough notice. It's hard for me to change on a day's notice and make sure I'm there to take care of things. And it's not his doing. I've told him before, "That's not enough notice for me. Can you reschedule?" And he would have to contact whoever does the scheduling. But, again, they wouldn't tell him until a day or two before he was supposed to be here. That will be helpful to get more notice from them.

Other than that, it will be the middle of the month or a couple of weeks after a treatment and I'll see an unusual bug. I'll have a question or maybe something that needs treated, and I'll take a picture of the bug or just text him the question mid-month, even though it's not time for him to come out and treat the house, and he'll do everything he can to answer my question and get it taken care of.

Get buying tips about Pest Control delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 2, 2022

I've been with the company for 35 years. I get an inspection once a year, and in the entire time that I've been with them, I've had one suspicious incident. A few years ago, I thought I had a termite swarm in the yard, and they came and re-treated the area in the back. It was a pretty good response, but the technician wasn't very nice. I should have known that it was not termites though. Most of the techs have been pretty nice. Unfortunately, Terminix is doing what a lot of other companies are doing. When you have a service call, they try to show you another product and while it may suit a lot of other folks, it didn't suit me.

One other thing that has been a thorn is that, over the last few years at least, they make the appointment somewhere else. It's not made by the local Terminix guy or by me. Nobody even consults me. I just get a Terminix guy that shows up and says, "Well, you were scheduled." I say, "Well, I don't know who scheduled me." There was a time or two when I've held a line and just said, "I don't have time for this right now," just to make them come back. That's not good customer relations. Whoever makes the appointment should at least call and say, "Does next Monday or next month suit you?"

Terminix response

Thank you, Robert! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re glad to hear we were able to provide the service you needed.

Original review: June 30, 2022

We had ants, and the rep came over to provide treatment in the house. He explained what he was doing after I asked him a few questions. He was putting in something that we had not seen before in the past during the season. It was different from what we expected the last several years, but he was able to explain how that was different. Our interaction was good. Still, Terminix should let the consumer know exactly what the house is being treated with. We know what it does, but it'd be helpful to know what kind of chemicals are being used. It's the exact same treatment, but one technician will tell you that it's okay to go down in the basement after the treatment, and another one will say, "Please do not go down there for the next half hour or hour."

The scheduling and the billing are quarterly, so I can easily cancel or reschedule. That's helpful to have, to be able to manage online or call in-person. They're also really great about calling to let people know that they're on their way, which I appreciate as well since I'm rarely home. However, the cost is a little pricey and I'm gonna stop because it worked up until recently. In the past, when they came in, we didn't see ants afterwards until the next installment. Whereas this year, we've seen ants in-between the different treatments. We've had to call them back and apply additional treatments.

Terminix response

We appreciate your feedback, Roselys! We aim to provide the best service to our customers!

Original review: June 8, 2022

We love our Terminix guy. His name is Darnell and we usually request him. I don't like that we get assigned random technicians then we have to call and request the one we prefer. Maybe we're a little bit spoiled by Darnell but when you're talking about your home and people being around and you've got animals, it is nice to have somebody that you have a relationship with instead of just random people every month.

He has been with Terminix for a long time and it's rare for technicians to stay with a company, so, that's telling. We've had a couple of other technicians, who were fine, but Darnell goes above and beyond to make sure that we're taken care of. There's the typical maintenance on the perimeter of the house and he would come and make sure that that would be taken care of. Then he would check in with us on our next application if he needs to come back in and re-treat anything. This house is an old house and there were tenants in the basement who created some of the pest issues with ants, spiders, and roaches. When we moved in, it was a mess. But since we used Terminix, it's been great. We have a couple of spiders, which is totally normal, then we have ants specifically in the spring. And that's about it. Whatever they do, it prevents the issues.

Terminix response

Great feedback, Ami! We genuinely appreciate it, and we’re glad to hear that you’re happy with your service!

Original review: March 12, 2022

Terminix had been really good about sending somebody out when I needed them. Back before Christmas, I got a new guy and I really like him. The guy I had before him wasn't good at all so I was getting ready to quit using their service. He would come in, put just a little bit of bait out by my trash can then went outside and sprayed around the edge of the house. But the new guy sprayed my windows outside, my driveway, and around my yard. The new guy came back last week and I was sick, so he sprayed outside. He's coming back today to do the inside.

I live in a housing development and I've been having to fight roaches. I've been wanting the stuff kept out because I don't want them. The new guy put quite a bit of bait up on the top of my cabinet. He put it around my ice box and in my bathroom. He told me, "You think it's going to be worse because you're going to see more for the first few days." Sure enough, I did. But they then fizzled out. I told him the other day on the phone, "The bait you put out, they didn't eat all of it." He said they won't eat it and that he'd put some more bait out for me and that's what he's supposed to do today. I want some bait left out at all times. We haven't been seeing any roaches. I was really pleased with this guy. He acts like he cared and he understood and I felt like I got my money's worth. My only thing with Terminix was I recommended them to my son and they gave him a lot higher price than what I'm paying. He called in and it was way over $100.

Terminix response

Thank you, Terry! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re glad to hear we were able to provide the service you needed.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

I wish I saw these reviews prior of getting service from Terminix. I had service with them 8/31/22 for pest and termite cause we saw rat droppings at home, but never actually saw the rat(s) so we don't know how many there were. I was charged with at least $6400 and would be paying $123 every month for 12 months in addition for the pest control services, so total would be almost $8K.

Since it was obviously expensive, I chose financed. I asked couple of times how much my monthly would be, agent said finance would call me. He said I would get the contract that I signed on my email but I didn't get it that day so the next day I asked again for it, didn't get again until the following day. When I saw the contract my monthly would be around $400 so I said I would just pay it off since there’s additional charge for finance.

Now the agent said I would have to get the first billing statement first before I can pay it off which I don't understand why but oh well. On 8/31 they put baits in our house and sealed entry and exit points. The technician said he would be back to do the attic but he never did. I told the agent, he said he would follow up, never heard about it.

I messaged him again last week, haven’t heard back. We caught one big rat using OUR OWN bait from Amazon on 9/4 and since then we’ve never seen any signs of a rat, no droppings anywhere; not even one. Our house also got fumigated on 9/9. It was good until the tent was removed. After the tent was removed, the electrical wires around the house were hanging loose. Socal gas told us we would need to get an electrician to fix it. More money to spend. I feel like we paid so much for catching 1 rat and for the services that was either incomplete or caused us more money to fix.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

This is easily the worst service experience I have had ever. I have had Terminix pest service off and on for some time and have never had an issue until I included the exclusionary services. The ordeal started on 7/5/22 and is still ongoing. To start, I believed that there was possibly some large critter in my attic that I did not feel capable of dealing with. Dan ** came out and did an inspection. I was told that I had "3 flying squirrels". Absolutely Terminix Exclusionary could take care of them for me. The initial price was $2214.34, which included removal and the patching of any possible entryways. There was also an extra service of new insulation and sanitization for an additional large sum, which I declined.

The scheduling over the next couple weeks was a nightmare, requiring a number of calls and multiple appointments to accomplish. Once the techs came though and everything was finally done with the patching portion of the service though, I asked what we were going to do about the squirrels that were already up there - he said "What squirrels?" I shared Dan's evaluation, so he set a couple of rat traps and we set up a day and time for him to check them. That day came and went. I called and was told that I wasn't on the schedule for that day- I was on for the following week. On 8/4/22 the technician arrives and checks the traps- no squirrels. When I asked, he said he saw no evidence of there ever being squirrels in my attic and asked who told me there were. I said "Dan **". He frowned and said there had been a number of complaints regarding Dan, but there was nothing we could do about it because he was no longer with the company.

After he left, I called and asked to speak with a manager. I was told the issue would be escalated and the branch manager would return my call in 24-48 hours. I waited. I called again. Yes, we see the note, not sure why no one called. Again an escalation, this time to the district manager. Expect a call in 24-48 hours. Repeat two days later with escalation to the regional manager. “Please hold.” When they got back on the line, I was told that they had the regional manager’s secretary pull him out of a meeting and that he would be calling me as soon as the meeting was over. I waited – no call. I call. Again. Yes, we see the notes. They would try the branch manager. Sigh.

I finally get a call from the service manager (not the branch, district, or regional manager) the next day. I explain everything. When I got to the part about the regional manager being pulled out of a meeting, he chuckled and said that’s impossible. The regional manager works from home and doesn’t have a secretary. He apologized and asked to come out to my property and take a look for himself. I said honestly, I just want a refund. He said he understood but please give him a chance to make it right. He arrives and after checking out the attic he says that he saw two small piles of squirrel droppings but there was no way to know how long they had been there and who told me I had squirrels? OMG. I tell him about Dan – and he chuckled. He just shook his head and laughed about his employee lying to me. WOW.

At this point, I tell him I want a refund and I no longer want Terminix at my property, ever. He says he understands and that he would be in touch with his manager and call me the following day. He calls as promised and tells me that as far as his manager is concerned, they provided me a service which I paid for. There will be no refund. He would rather fix it by providing me better service in the future. I said that is unacceptable and I feel at least a partial refund was warranted because the service I received was nowhere near satisfactory, not to mention the original service I was purchasing (the removal of the squirrels) was not performed since obviously there were no squirrels. He said he would speak with his manager again - he would call me Monday (it was Friday afternoon at that point). That was the last I heard from him. After reading the other reviews posted, my hopes are not high this will end well.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

My recent experience with Terminix was great. The tech checked outside, gave us pictures and explained everything to us. We're well pleased with it.

Terminix response

This is excellent news to hear, Penny. Thank you for your kind words. We hope you have a great day!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

Had them put their termite bait systems in my backyard. Oh My God, what a joke. They lead people to believe that the termite bait system attracts termites and it does not. The story they told me was that termites get attracted to their bait systems and then they carry whatever it is supposed to be in it back to their termite family (the ones in our wall) and then they die. WHAT A LINE OF CROCK **) Oh my GOD! How do these people get away with such CRAP LIES! Well, I lost $1088.00 and I hope that anyone reads this and saves themselves from wasting any money. Oh and also I paid $150 to them to spray my house for bugs and the guy that came in my house stayed here about 5 minutes and sprayed but it did nothing. So, please don't waste any money with these thieves, because that is what they are.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

Updated on 09/17/2022: I wrote a previous review in regards to this company and was told the company would reach out to 24-48 hours. I was expecting a phone call and still have not heard anything. My overall experience has been traumatizing for myself and my family. We are still out of 3000 dollars and we were lied to during the entire process and still have bed bugs eating not only myself but my son and special needs daughter. I am now working with the military to see what steps I can take to get them blacklisted for military personnel in my area since I am a veteran and nobody else never needs to experience this.

Original Review: I was told to wait a month between sprays with no progress. Unfortunately they can not get rid of the bed bugs and will not issue a refund. Please be advised if you don't have 3,000 to waste you will better off finding another company.

Terminix Company Information

1927
    6196 Lake Gray Blvd (Suite 110)
    Jacksonville