Call Now Toll Free
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.58/5
Based on 1,126 ratings submitted in the last year

HomeAdvisor is an online resource that helps residents find reliable home repair or improvement services in their area. HomeAdvisor has service providers in multiple categories on its site, from maid services to HVAC repair, and screens each one to make sure you end up working with a trustworthy provider. It also backs its platform with a Happiness Guarantee.

HomeAdvisor Gallery (4)
Top Workplaces 2014
Top 100 Digital COmpanies in Colorado
BOTTOM LINE

HomeAdvisor connects residents who are looking to start a project or repair to pros and contractors in their area. The website works with more than 100,000 professionals who are prescreened for legitimacy and safety.

PROS
  • Convenient app
  • Free to use
  • Instant online scheduling
  • Happiness Guarantee
CONS
  • Doesn’t show all companies in area
  • Limited options in some locations

Top HomeAdvisor Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeAdvisor?

I’ve received… three services through HomeAdvisor Pros and am very satisfied... They are very diligent and recommend the best Pros. ... They were all very responsible, courteous and specially the inspector saved me from buying a home that was going to cost me lots of headaches and trouble.

As a new homeowner, I didn't know where to go to compare prices and reviews and get honest information, but so far, HomeAdvisor has been the best resource! I've hired 4 different providers as a result and I'm usually never surprised as to what I'm getting or paying.

HomeAdvisor Call Now Toll Free (866) 782-4077 Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

What is HomeAdvisor?

HomeAdvisor is a free online resource for homeowners. The company helps match you with a professional in your area that offers the services you need. The site provides estimated costs for services to help you understand what to expect when requesting quotes. HomeAdvisor has an online booking tool that lets you schedule a fixed-price service without picking up the phone.

Services available on HomeAdvisor include maid services, plumbing repairs, lawn care, electrical services, general contracting and hundreds of others. In general, you can book any home-related work through HomeAdvisor.

The company backs its service with a Happiness Guarantee, promising to make it right if something goes wrong.

How does HomeAdvisor work?

Using HomeAdvisor's site, you can search for local contractors for multiple types of home repairs or home services. HomeAdvisor prescreens each company and its owner to ensure proper licensing and customer satisfaction.

HomeAdvisor matches you with a contractor by guiding you through a series of questions and providing you with quotes from qualified local contractors. You can also book a fixed-price service immediately online. Alternatively, you can use the search bar to search for a local page for your area and see a list of companies. HomeAdvisor provides a snapshot of each company with relevant information such as services, reviews and phone numbers.

As you compare options, you can directly reach out to HomeAdvisor by phone or live chat.

If you’re not yet ready to contact a local professional, read through some of HomeAdvisor’s articles about the topic you’re searching. The company’s “Resource Center” section of its website contains a library of information about home services and projects.

HomeAdvisor cost

HomeAdvisor is completely free to use for homeowners searching for information about contractors and professionals in their area. There is no obligation to book a service if you choose to receive quotes.

For contractors who want to promote their business using the platform, HomeAdvisor charges a membership fee of around $300 per year, plus additional fees per lead (anywhere between $15 to $60). The exact cost depends on the business’s location and industry. This price per lead is charged even if the lead doesn’t turn into a customer.

HomeAdvisor FAQ

How much does it cost to be on HomeAdvisor?
Companies pay to be featured on HomeAdvisor. They pay a membership fee and a price per lead that varies depending on industry and location. Homeowners who are searching for a professional do not need to pay.
Is HomeAdvisor trustworthy?
For the most part, bad reviews are typically specific to contractors, not homeowners. HomeAdvisor prescreens each business on its site and shows ratings and reviews from previous customers. The company has handled over 100 million service requests, according to its website.
Is HomeAdvisor worth using?
Yes. Because it’s a free site, HomeAdvisor is a great way to start your search when looking for contractors. Of course, always ask friends and family for recommendations and advice as well.
Is HomeAdvisor free?
HomeAdvisor is free for homeowners to use. It does charge contractors who want to be featured on the site.

Is HomeAdvisor legit?

Using HomeAdvisor is a good way for homeowners to find vetted contractors in their area. However, because contractors pay to be featured on the website, it doesn't offer a full picture of all the options available locally. If you’re searching for a local home repair or improvement provider and want to read reviews from other customers, we recommend using HomeAdvisor.

HomeAdvisor Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeAdvisor?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I appreciate the service with HomeAdvisor.com when it comes to availability of quality pros, mostly. I've had two experiences with them that I wasn't happy with... gutter cleaner and exterminator. On one hand HA took care of the exterminator... But, on the other hand I find I can't go back and find information on people I've listed at times. If I list someone, and they don't work out, it becomes difficult to find that same group again. It's frustrating if you liked two, had one come out and the work not satisfactory but can't go back and find the second one. They've been substituted and no way to find them or why they're not listed any longer on your request. Other than that I've had some good responses and excellent work... On the other hand I've been disappointed by the responding pro. I guess that happens everywhere. Caveat Emptor.

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

I had a AC company that was doing a maintenance check on my unit. The serviceman informed me that my unit was leaking Freon and the coils needed replacing. He informed me that the unit was 7 years old and NOT under warranty. He suggested a new unit for $5,600. I first said okay and they said they could do it that afternoon. It got to be late Friday and I had company coming so called and ask that it be postponed to Monday. Then I decide to get a second opinion. I google AC repair in area and got HomeAdvisor.

Several companies responded but couldn’t come until Monday. Then, Essential Heating and Air responded and said they were in the area and could come in about an hour. They were a God sent. He checked the entire unit, found that it was only 4 years old and still under complete warranty. He found no leaks, in fact unit was in excellent shape. He added Freon and will check it again in 3 months. He saved me a lot of money. I appreciate his prompt response and honesty. Needless to say I’ve canceled the original company. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

5 stars is not enough for this company, they are 100 stars hands down. I hired this company to service and repair my furnace. Sent service person Joe to my home. This man is AMAZING.... Caring and compassionate, worked with me to do what he can to get me up and running. Very respectful of my home, very professional and extremely kind. He left my home clean as when he found it. He did a wonderful job and got my heat working. I would never use any other company after dealing with A-Absolute they are now my forever contractors. They know what they are doing and get the job done quickly. I would recommend this company to anyone who wants a fair price for high quality work. Explained everything in a way I could understand and gave great tips on keeping up with my furnace. Joe is the BEST!!! GO WITH THIS COMPANY YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED... STELLER WORK....

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

The clog in the house was so bad that gurgling was heard in the pipes for over a week from 1 load of laundry. The water from this load of laundry had come up into the toilet and shower in the basement. This had been a reoccurring problem for years. I was unable to get a plumber from the phone book so I went online and threw up a Hail Mary out of sheer desperation. HomeAdvisor popped up and I filled out my problem. I was given the name of a plumber to try, but became skittish and didn't call. This plumber contacted me within the hour and my problem was solved by the end of the day. I have never been happier with a plumber in my life. HomeAdvisor helped me find the perfect solution and gently guided me to the finish line. I will be forever in their debt AND I highly recommend this site to anyone needing help. I know what it's like to want to tear your hair out (LOL)!

Original review: July 6, 2020

Hired Contractor Andrew ** through HomeAdvisor after receiving 2 quotes from Pluming Companies in the area which were way out of our budget but we need our boiler and water heater replaced due to a faulty old boiler that caused a water pipe to burst last winter. Andrew responded within minutes of my submission to HomeAdvisor, he came to our house within minutes, he was prompt, personable, honest and professional. We didn't have to wait for his quote like I had to for the others. I had waited up to 1 month for my quote from the initial company that came out to assess the damage and do some repairs on the faulty boiler (to the tune of $2000.00-patch job), which didn't even work!!

I have to admit both my husband and I were skeptical about hiring an independent contractor because we were worried that they would not have the necessary skills or credentials needed to complete the job. Once I got the quote from Andrew I did a search on him and was able to see that he indeed had MP license and years of experience, which made us feel more comfortable with our decision to hire him. He completed the job in 2 days and earlier than expected. I would definitely recommend using HomeAdvisor for home improvements and repairs to friends and family. Thank you!

Original review: April 11, 2021

I was researching prices to have some interior stucco patch/repaired and wound up on Home Advisor's website. The website asked questions on my needs and without me even completing everything they randomly called me to set something up. This was strange and should have been a sign, but I went along as the name sounded familiar and legit. We needs the repair done so I tried it out. Appointment was booked for the following week and they asked for my CC number. In doing so they clarified there would not be a charge until work was actually complete.

Fast forward one week and my wife took off work and waited for a contractor that never showed up. After a few hours I called HA and they confirmed the contractor was nowhere near us and should have been there hours earlier. We decided to try again when the company said they blacklisted that contractor. I figured it was just a fluke and gave them another chance, problems and like happens. They booked us another contractor that weekend. My wife had already wasted time off and we weren’t doing it again.

Sunday came and about an hour before our appointment time we received a message that the contractor was running 30 minutes late. Again, life happens and for all we knew the contractor was held up at another appointment. At least that’s what I told myself even though we were an early morning appointment. Hours go by and again no one shows up. My wife checks the app and the contractor like the last one is nowhere near us. An hour and a half away... At that point we are done with these contractors and HA as a company. The whole experience was a complete joke, not sure what kind of business routinely hires contractors that no show. They wouldn’t even call the contractor to find out what was going on.

On top of the above we also noticed that HA did indeed charge our credit card even though no work had been completed. As I said they even confirmed on the first phone call that no charge would be made until work was actually complete, like a normal and legit business. As a consumer I’m not here to loan you money HA, see your bank instead. Once we called the HA that last time, again they tried to reschedule us. We told them there is no way we are rescheduling or using their business again in the future and asked for a refund. Even had to clarify we wanted a full refund when the operator wasn’t including the $20 annual fee we signed up for. In the end as far as we know they will be processing a full refund within the next few days. We shall see...

I would highly recommend to anyone avoid using this company. After our experience I have my reservations on whether this is actually a legit company. This is not a company I am happy with having my credit card info and other private information in their system. Will be reaching out to contractors the old fashioned way.

HomeAdvisor response

Hi Ricky, We're sorry to hear about your concerns. We would be happy to look into your situation. Please send your contact info to emailus@homeadvisor.com so we can locate your account and reach out. You can also give us a call at 877-947-3639 to speak with a rep. -HASupport

Original review: April 11, 2021

Booked HomeAdvisor for repair of some loss tiles in my walk in shower and grout clean. My first appointment was 4/4/21, no show. Call and got a booking for 4/9/21, for 11:00am. Handyman call and said he was running late but should be at my home 1:30pm. Never heard from him again. Called and agree to take the 3rd booking for 4/11/2021 for 4:00pm. The handyman called at 1:38pm. He said that his work order was to clean the grout only and he don't have the equipment to fix the tiles. I didn't use him and call HomeAdvisor. Spoke to Mr. ** ticket number **. I told him that I would find someone to fix the tiles.

He told me that I would get a refund within 5 business days, when I first book for the repair, I was told that the money would come off my card when the job was completed, HomeAdvisor charge my card and no one have not been to my house. I told Mr. ** that if my money was not on my card I would put a complaint in with the BBB, Consumer Affairs and the Attorney General office. My refund is a total of $162.03. I paid $19.99 for a year membership and $142.04 for the repair. I'm getting email address to a Charles for a booking he made. I spoke to HomeAdvisor twice about this. HomeAdvisor said that was an error and they would correct it. I told them that they shouldn't take funds from my card for this Charles person. There is no name Charles associated with my email.

HomeAdvisor response

Hi Grace, We're sorry to hear you had this experience. We have forwarded your request to the proper channels and a rep will be following up to assist you. If there is any other assistance we can offer in the meantime, please feel free to reach out to emailus@homeadvisor.com. -HASupport

Original review: April 10, 2021

I contacted Home Advisor for assistance with poor project management on the part of the contractor. Kelly K patiently listened and guided me to fill out the complaint form. The contractor followed up and we have been able to work things out beautifully. Thank you Home Advisor for your assistance!

Original review: April 10, 2021

At the recommendation of HomeAdvisor.com, a marketing consultant company, on November 14, 2020, I contracted Mr. Bradley Freiss of Re-Insulate America to install 7 Wincore 7700 Series triple-pane glass double strength soundproof windows in my house for the amount of $5,290, providing an upfront deposit of $3.090, the job to be completed within 4 to 5 weeks. It’s been 2 months now, and the job has not been started, nor has Mr. Freiss telephoned me to begin installation, and during this time he has never once initiated a telephone call, updating me on the progress of the delivery and service. It was only when I initiated a telephone call that he would return it, providing a reason for the delay (i.e., weather, covid, time constraints), as well as a promise to call back with an update—which he would never do.

My wife and I researched Mr. Freiss, learning from the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs that his license had expired years past and that the business address written on the contract is phony as well, all but one telephone number. Attempting to visit Mr. Freiss personally, we traced his business office to: 51 Park Cir S., Farmingdale, NY, assuming it was an office location, with the help of a woman who works at a billiards store, the exact location of the business address that Freiss advertises on the Internet. It is in fact Mr. Freiss’ home address. Mr. Freiss acted extremely irate and unprofessionally, threatening to call the police if my wife and I didn’t leave his property (the sidewalk) and “knock [me] out,” threatening us with his attorney.

Also, on April 5, representatives from HomeAdvisor claim that Mr. Freiss had had hundreds of positive references from customers---yet this same company had informed me a week prior that they had terminated him on January 4, the same date, coincidentally, that we last spoke with Freiss and filed for court. They insist that they are not responsible for my dilemma, yet, had HomeAdvisor, a marketing consulting company, made a proper background check, they would have discovered that Freiss was working without a license and had two phony business addresses and several bogus telephone numbers advertised on his contract and on the Internet. HomeAdvisor refuses to accept any responsibility or obligation in this matter.

HomeAdvisor response

Hi Nicholas, Thank you for reaching out. We have forwarded your request to the proper channels and a rep will be following up to assist you. If there is any other assistance we can offer in the meantime, please feel free to reach out to emailus@homeadvisor.com. -HASupport

Original review: April 9, 2021

Home Advisor is a vital resource for all home projects. The ability to hire immediately or plan out is great. The quick response and immediate quotes relieves a ton of stress. I like the ability to negotiate an already vetted company. Home Advisor is my project liaison permanently.

HomeAdvisor Company Information