HomeAdvisor

• 4 stars261
  • 3 stars61
  • 2 stars34
  • 1 stars110

HomeAdvisor is the nation's largest online marketplace for local screened home professionals. Connecting more than 30 million homeowners to the company's network of over 85,000 home service and improvement professionals.

I love HomeAdvisor because they get rid of the hassle of calling different contractors and finding which one is available. They give you the option of getting professionals to quote you online which is convenient as well as scheduling the work/estimate online.

Spring Cleaning of total interior of house - Honest. Reasonable rates. Excellent work.

I have hired several pros that I found on HomeAdvisor. They have all done superior work.

Good experience, fast and easy online.

I received a phone call immediately after submitting my request to HomeAdvisor. I will use HA again. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeAdvisor?

Always very helpful to me. I receive an email today from Colleen ** from HomeAdvisor to make sure that I was satisfied.

First time using HomeAdvisor and within minutes of posting I received responses. I was able to find a quality contractor to do the work I needed. I would definitely use HomeAdvisor again.

Install dvr and security cameras - The company I selected was excellent. Had trouble with HomeAdvisor website.

They quickly and easily took apart and hauled away a very heavy and broken Sleep Number bed.

I will contact HomeAdvisor for all my needs from now on. Excellent!

I read all your reviews carefully, and was very impressed by one provider in particular. When I called to get an appointment, the HomeAdvisor rep tried to steer me to other providers. I insisted on this one, and then they finally made the connection. I thought the attempted "bait and switch" might be due to variations in how much HomeAdvisor was compensated for different referrals, but the rep told me that there was no charge to the supplier for the referral, that HomeAdvisor charged a fixed listing fee to approved companies, and that was how they got paid--not on any commission scheme.

Since I am a business owner myself and was curious about HomeAdvisor's business model, I also asked the supplier, who said suppliers pay a referral commission--whether or not they get the job! That means if HomeAdvisor recommends and refers three suppliers and you don't use any of them, all three pay a commission anyway!!! That really stinks in my book.

I went on HomeAdvisor's website and within a minute I got my first call from Global Garage Door and Service. That day Rob came out and fixed my door in less than 15 minutes. Fantastic service!

Excellent algorithm for recommending vendors, then great follow up.

I had sod replaced and tree trimmed. I was surprised to have had at least 2 follow-up calls from HomeAdvisor. Both people were friendly and seemed concerned that this was a positive experience.

I was shown a list of contractors, read the ratings and found a roofer who did an excellent job.

This was my first experience with HomeAdvisor and it was wonderful. I put in what I was looking for, wrote down the names of several companies but didn't call any. The next day I received a call from the one I used and they turned out to be outstanding. I will definitely use HomeAdvisor again for other services I need.

I use HomeAdvisor for both my house in NY and my brother's house in Fl. I've been using them for several years and they have never steered us wrong. Once we forgot the name of a plumber we used and when we called them they had a record of it and gave us the number.

Fixing a leak in the bathroom - Kyle ** was extremely professional and knowledgeable. I would recommend him and his company.

This was easy and timely with great recommendations.

HomeAdvisor was a very helpful finding, following up and repeatedly helping me to find the contractors I needed to get my projects advanced.

I was contacted shortly after placing my request. Thanks.

3 companies were recommended out of which 2 responded immediately and I chose one of them. I was generally satisfied with that one, although I had to be after them to complete most of the work I thought was contracted (not really all of it...). The quality of the work was generally good, although sloppy in a few places.

Your list of pros and reviews were very helpful.

We are very happy we found HomeAdvisor. So far we have hired two companies recommended on the website, and the results could not been better.

We had several quotes within 30 minutes. It was easy to check reviews and get good quality, professional work.

Dave painted the exterior of our century home in northeast Ohio and it has never looked better. The project... power washing, scraping and painting also included a garage and garden picket fence. The workmanship and attitude of the crew was top notch. The house looks fabulous.

While we've been very happy with everyone we've hired through HomeAdvisor, we've had problems from each Pro search. Each time we've specifically noted NOT to have them call us -- that we'd contact the Pros after looking into them further. But each time instead the phone began ringing immediately and incessantly. We had at times calls every few minutes throughout the day from some of the Pros. We tried contacting the Pros and left messages in some cases for them to stop. We then contacted Home Advisor repeatedly by phone and through their site and even after they shut down the search and noted for the Pros NOT to call us, some still did... and with such frequency (literally every few minutes all day, every day in some cases) that we had to block the callers and remove ourselves from the search.

The other issue was that several of the Pros/contractors were raising their prices or upset if we didn't use or at least get estimates from them because of the fees that HomeAdvisor apparently charges them. Many of them mentioned this, as to try to guilt us into hiring them once they made contact with us. While this wasn't our problem and it was their choice to advertise through HomeAdvisor, we found this very uncomfortable. We won't use HomeAdvisor again, unfortunately.

HomeAdvisor Recommended B&B Door and I could not be happier. Thanks HomeAdvisor.

I was, quite frankly, very nervous and reluctant to trust one of these website contractor services - it is SO hard to find a good and trustworthy person to do quality work. But I was stuck - 1,000 miles away from the property (which is a rental) and no existing relationships for the work I needed done. I used HomeAdvisor for lawn care and for paint and wall repair left by the previous tenant on light colored (non-white) walls. Not only did HomeAdvisor personally follow up by calling me and making sure I found what I needed but they asked about the work the contractors did.

I had my mother who is local verify that the work was done well and she did. HA also told me, on their site, a contractor cannot be bumped to the top of the list, and they also cannot have friends post false reviews - they check, and allow only people who have paid to have work done by that contractor write a review. My mother contrasted my experience with HomeAdvisor with hers using Angie's List. Angie's list wants all these layers of fees, is difficult to deal with, and the contractors were crap! I'm sold, and I actually feel genuine relief, 2 out of 2 so far makes me feel much more confident that I could turn to HA again in the future.

So far this is the first and only time I've used HomeAdvisor, but I'm very satisfied. A contractor contacted me right away and ended up doing a good job.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1999, HomeAdvisor connects homeowners with trusted home improvement and maintenance professionals. It offers a network of more than 100,000 prescreened service providers and it serves as an educational portal for home improvement projects.

• Profinder: HomeAdvisor provides an online search tool for finding remodeling professionals based on zip code.
  • True Cost Guide: The website offers a true cost guide that outlines local and national home project cost information to help homeowners understand their expected costs.
  • Design Mine: This Pinterest-like tool allows consumers to save, share and organize photos of designs. In addition, consumers can connect with professionals with skills in their particular favorite style.
  • Financing: HomeAdvisor works with a third party to obtain financing for kitchen remodel projects.
  • Prescreened: All of the professionals recommended by HomeAdvisor have been prescreened for safety and reputation.
  • Best for Homeowners looking for additional tools and services such as finding professionals.

HomeAdvisor Company Profile