4.5/5 (252 ratings)
HomeAdvisor (Powered by Angi)

About HomeAdvisor (Powered by Angi)

HomeAdvisor is an online resource that helps residents find reliable home repair or improvement services in their area. HomeAdvisor has service providers in multiple categories on its site, from maid services to HVAC repair, and screens each one to make sure you end up working with a trustworthy provider. It also backs its platform with a Happiness Guarantee.

Pros

• Convenient app
    • Free to use
    • Instant online scheduling
    • Happiness Guarantee

Cons

• Doesn’t show all companies in area
    • Limited options in some locations

Bottom Line

HomeAdvisor connects residents who are looking to start a project or repair to pros and contractors in their area. The website works with more than 100,000 professionals who are prescreened for legitimacy and safety.

Top HomeAdvisor (Powered by Angi) Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeAdvisor?

Verified

I’ve received… three services through HomeAdvisor Pros and am very satisfied... They are very diligent and recommend the best Pros. ... They were all very responsible, courteous a...

Verified

As a new homeowner, I didn't know where to go to compare prices and reviews and get honest information, but so far, HomeAdvisor has been the best resource! I've hired 4 different ...

What is HomeAdvisor?

HomeAdvisor is a free online resource for homeowners. The company helps match you with a professional in your area that offers the services you need. The site provides estimated costs for services to help you understand what to expect when requesting quotes. HomeAdvisor has an online booking tool that lets you schedule a fixed-price service without picking up the phone.

Services available on HomeAdvisor include maid services, plumbing repairs, lawn care, electrical services, general contracting and hundreds of others. In general, you can book any home-related work through HomeAdvisor.

The company backs its service with a Happiness Guarantee, promising to make it right if something goes wrong.

How does HomeAdvisor work?

Using HomeAdvisor's site, you can search for local contractors for multiple types of home repairs or home services. HomeAdvisor prescreens each company and its owner to ensure proper licensing and customer satisfaction.

HomeAdvisor matches you with a contractor by guiding you through a series of questions and providing you with quotes from qualified local contractors. You can also book a fixed-price service immediately online. Alternatively, you can use the search bar to search for a local page for your area and see a list of companies. HomeAdvisor provides a snapshot of each company with relevant information such as services, reviews and phone numbers.

As you compare options, you can directly reach out to HomeAdvisor by phone or live chat.

If you’re not yet ready to contact a local professional, read through some of HomeAdvisor’s articles about the topic you’re searching. The company’s “Resource Center” section of its website contains a library of information about home services and projects.

HomeAdvisor cost

HomeAdvisor is completely free to use for homeowners searching for information about contractors and professionals in their area. There is no obligation to book a service if you choose to receive quotes.

For contractors who want to promote their business using the platform, HomeAdvisor charges a membership fee of around $300 per year, plus additional fees per lead (anywhere between $15 to $60). The exact cost depends on the business’s location and industry. This price per lead is charged even if the lead doesn’t turn into a customer.

HomeAdvisor FAQ

How much does it cost to be on HomeAdvisor?
    Companies pay to be featured on HomeAdvisor. They pay a membership fee and a price per lead that varies depending on industry and location. Homeowners who are searching for a professional do not need to pay.
    Is HomeAdvisor trustworthy?
    For the most part, bad reviews are typically specific to contractors, not homeowners. HomeAdvisor prescreens each business on its site and shows ratings and reviews from previous customers. The company has handled over 100 million service requests, according to its website.
    Is HomeAdvisor worth using?
    Yes. Because it’s a free site, HomeAdvisor is a great way to start your search when looking for contractors. Of course, always ask friends and family for recommendations and advice as well.
    Is HomeAdvisor free?
    HomeAdvisor is free for homeowners to use. It does charge contractors who want to be featured on the site.

Is HomeAdvisor legit?

Using HomeAdvisor is a good way for homeowners to find vetted contractors in their area. However, because contractors pay to be featured on the website, it doesn't offer a full picture of all the options available locally. If you’re searching for a local home repair or improvement provider and want to read reviews from other customers, we recommend using HomeAdvisor.

HomeAdvisor (Powered by Angi) Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeAdvisor?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

They made the connection to a qualified painter/drywall person by the name of Selvin **. He called within 5 minutes. Selvin ** was quick, prompt and helped me get out of a big jam. I removed the popcorn ceiling which revealed a nightmare of improper tape joints and over muddying of seams. He made Michelangelo proud, he is true artist and a very hard worker. I only had to wait 5 minutes after I put up the SOS on Angie's List. He started to work early and painted, sealed crown molding and fixed the massive imperfections that were hidden under the textured popcorn ceiling. Don't think twice about hiring this man. Remove the popcorn yourself (I did) but prepare yourself for the worst, because 90% of the time that stuff was sprayed on there for a reason.

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2022

Thoroughly impressed. Associate was out day after my call to get details. I was provided an estimate by end of the day and work began within a couple of days. Very knowledgeable team led by Paul, who is brilliant. The team are not only skilled and efficient, but also personable and work with my needs. Originally I had installed a new panel, GFCIs in kitchen and bathrooms, and smoke detectors. Given my confidence in their work, now they’ll be updating all my outlets and switches and installing recessed lighting in my bathrooms. I feel very fortunate to have this team, including the woman who does the scheduling!

Original review: May 1, 2022

I received 2 phone calls almost immediately after I asked for help on HomeAdvisor from 2 people that said they were working with Valentino’s Irrigation and Lighting that wanted more information from me and tried to get to buy a membership so that I could receive a discount on this job and other projects in the future. I asked them to send me the info to my email and I would review it. Needless to say I never received any info. Not sure if it was a scam but it sure did sound like it. As far as Home Advisor themselves I have no complaints. The company that I hired was excellent and would use them again.

Original review: March 12, 2022

I used Growing Solutions to remove two trees that were both about 25 ft high and not very easy to access. The trees were close to the house and fence. They quoted a very fair price, came out the day after estimating the job, worked quickly and paid due attention to their safety practices. They were careful not to damage landscaping lights and patio furniture/plants. Also took great care to cut the trees down in segments & landed them safely without damage to structures, fence or other trees. They removed the stumps and cleaned up great. Even swept the driveway. Excellent work and value. I’m keeping their number for future jobs.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

I appreciate Home Advisor as a resource for personal reviews by customers. Here is my review of the company I used, Lanier Wildlife Solutions. I recommend Lanier Solutions for any need you might have. I hired them to remove squirrels and rats in my attic that had chewed through a number of wires. I tried for years to get rid of the squirrels on my own. They not only got rid of the squirrels and rats but also an opossum. Also, they found their entry holes in my roof and sealed them up, then replaced my attic insulation that had been ruined by years of feces and urine. Their work was knowledgeable, professional, efficient, effective, and courteous! And the cost was very reasonable. I'm grateful and I highly recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

It was fast end easy. Daniel did great job for me. He was a one man crew. He was fast and detailed in his work. He comes highly recommended for any future use that people may have. Lawn care is the next thing that I need to take care of for the spring.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

Professional work and timely service. Recommend to family and friends. Install a coil, ductwork and air conditioning in garage. Installed a circuit breaker for 220 volt in breaker box. Installed fuse panel for air conditioning outside. Installed copper lines and charging with air conditioner.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

This was my first time using Home Advisor but not my last. I was pleasantly surprised at how well everything went. I highly recommend and will use in the future. I was a little skeptical at first filing in as much information as requested but it was well worth it.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

Awesome and training a young man at the same time. Highly recommend. A dad in his 60s working to also train at the same time using his years of work to push the trade forward. Excellent work supervised training. Highly recommend.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

They use a phishing app. No mention on questionnaire then tried to charge me $29.95. Kept send emails even after I told them to stop. Then wanted me to subscribe to something I never subscribed to. To them they were bordering on harassment. If they did not stop I would file charges.

HomeAdvisor (Powered by Angi) Company Information