Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.44/5
Based on 1,214 ratings submitted in the last year

HomeAdvisor is an online resource that helps homeowners find reliable home repair or improvement services in their area. HomeAdvisor has service providers in multiple categories on its site and screens each one to make sure you end up working with a trustworthy provider.

HomeAdvisor Gallery (4)
Top Workplaces 2014
Top 100 Digital COmpanies in Colorado

BOTTOM LINE

HomeAdvisor connects homeowners who are looking to start a project or repair to pros and contractors in their area. The website works with more than 100,000 professionals who are prescreened for legitimacy and safety.

PROS

• Easy to use
  • Convenient app
  • Free for consumers
  • Instant online scheduling

CONS

• Companies pay for features
  • Does not show all options

Top HomeAdvisor Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeAdvisor?

I have used Home Advisor several times and always have wound up with a great team and a job well done in the end. … Matter a fact, several houses were painted or sided on my block, and the Home Advisor recommended service company outperformed and came in at a better price.

I needed a small backyard design and renovation project. ... Once the job was finished, I was astonished by the end product. They worked fast, on-time, took care of every detail, and left everything clean at the end of each day. I LOVE my new backyard! You definitely get what you pay for.

HomeAdvisor Call Now Toll Free (866) 782-4077 Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

What is HomeAdvisor?

HomeAdvisor is an online resource for homeowners. The company helps match you with a professional in your area that offers the services you need. The site provides estimated costs for services to help you understand what to expect when asking for quotes from various companies. HomeAdvisor has an online booking tool that lets you schedule service without picking up the phone.

Services available on HomeAdvisor include maid services, plumbing repairs, lawn care, electrical services, general contracting and more. In general, you can book any home-related work through HomeAdvisor.

How does HomeAdvisor work?

Using HomeAdvisor's site, you can search for local contractors for multiple types of home repairs or home services. Companies pay to be listed, but HomeAdvisor’s experts prescreen each company and its owner to ensure legitimacy and safety. As you compare options, you can directly reach out to the company within the site itself and be instantly connected with an expert.

HomeAdvisor costs

HomeAdvisor is completely free to use for homeowners searching for information about contractors and professionals in their area. There are no strings attached in terms of cost or having to move forward with a service.

For contractors who want to promote their business using the platform, HomeAdvisor charges around $300 per year and additional fees per lead it sends to a business (anywhere between $15 to $60).

This price per lead is charged even if the lead doesn’t turn into a customer. For many contractors, the immense volume of leads and opportunities is worth the cost because it’s more simple and straightforward than other advertising strategies.

HomeAdvisor FAQ

How much does it cost to be on HomeAdvisor?
It costs about $300 per year to be featured on HomeAdvisor. Companies also pay for each lead sent their way, even if that lead does not become a customer.
Can I trust HomeAdvisor?
For the most part, bad reviews are typically specific to contractors, not homeowners. That being said, you should still complete your own research after you find a company.
Is HomeAdvisor worth using?
Yes. Since it’s a free site, HomeAdvisor is a great way to start your search when looking for contractors. Of course, always ask friends and family for recommendations and advice as well.
Is HomeAdvisor free?
HomeAdvisor is free for homeowners to use. It does charge contractors who want to be featured on the site.

Is HomeAdvisor legit?

HomeAdvisor is a good way for customers to find vetted and screened contractors in their area. However, because contractors pay to be featured on the website, it does not offer a full picture of all the options available locally. If you’re searching for a local home repair or improvement provider and want to read reviews from other customers, we recommend using HomeAdvisor.

HomeAdvisor Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeAdvisor?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

The clog in the house was so bad that gurgling was heard in the pipes for over a week from 1 load of laundry. The water from this load of laundry had come up into the toilet and shower in the basement. This had been a reoccurring problem for years. I was unable to get a plumber from the phone book so I went online and threw up a Hail Mary out of sheer desperation. HomeAdvisor popped up and I filled out my problem. I was given the name of a plumber to try, but became skittish and didn't call. This plumber contacted me within the hour and my problem was solved by the end of the day. I have never been happier with a plumber in my life. HomeAdvisor helped me find the perfect solution and gently guided me to the finish line. I will be forever in their debt AND I highly recommend this site to anyone needing help. I know what it's like to want to tear your hair out (LOL)!

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 6, 2020

Hired Contractor Andrew ** through HomeAdvisor after receiving 2 quotes from Pluming Companies in the area which were way out of our budget but we need our boiler and water heater replaced due to a faulty old boiler that caused a water pipe to burst last winter. Andrew responded within minutes of my submission to HomeAdvisor, he came to our house within minutes, he was prompt, personable, honest and professional. We didn't have to wait for his quote like I had to for the others. I had waited up to 1 month for my quote from the initial company that came out to assess the damage and do some repairs on the faulty boiler (to the tune of $2000.00-patch job), which didn't even work!!

I have to admit both my husband and I were skeptical about hiring an independent contractor because we were worried that they would not have the necessary skills or credentials needed to complete the job. Once I got the quote from Andrew I did a search on him and was able to see that he indeed had MP license and years of experience, which made us feel more comfortable with our decision to hire him. He completed the job in 2 days and earlier than expected. I would definitely recommend using HomeAdvisor for home improvements and repairs to friends and family. Thank you!

Original review: June 12, 2020

Home Advisor surprised us in a very positive way. Using their website is very easy and user friendly. It allows you to quickly state the type of work you are seeking. After we stated the work we needed, we quickly received several choices to choose from. Most of the recommendations from Home Advisor also called us to set up an appointment or offered to make an appointment on-line. We hired High Quality Wood Floors to sand, stain, and refinish 4 large rooms with closets, and 2 sets of stairs. They did an excellent job and we are very happy with the results. We also hired an asphalt company to pave our driveway, and are happy so far with this recommendation. The gentleman came out on the same day as our inquiry, and we hired him. The work should be getting started next week.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

Skeptical and Hesitant at First; Now More Willing to Try Them. I think my subject says it all. Initially I was skeptical and very hesitant because I did not want numerous companies calling me. I prefer having a list, research them a bit, and then call the company myself. Well, I really need yard care and maintenance because my person was no longer working residential. So I went online and applied to Home Advisor. I was given several names along with a brief statement about each. No calling me, and the process worked for two reasons no excessive company calls and the list of companies were top notch. I could make the decisions without added pressure. Now I am more inclined to use Home Advisor. The way the world is today, I will always be a bit cautious, but I believe that I can grow to trust Home Advisor.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Multiple fence posts replaced on an existing property. This was during early fall when most fence contractors are terrifically busy and tied up with larger projects. HomeAdvisor could improve their services by not asking for reviews until the job is fully completed.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Gary did a great job. He was fair in pricing and very efficient in the work he did. He was punctual and and good to talk to. I must say I did not know that when I sent a request out it would cost the people I sent a request to.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

It was so helpful to get good recommendations and be able to read customer reviews. A few providers were recommended so I had a choice and could get estimates. I've used the service a few times and am always happy with it.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

We received three legitimate calls. Nick Tracey was most responsive and did excellent work. All but one estimate was within the ballpark. We went with the best, most responsive call. We figured that was an indicator and we were right.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Amazing customer service and my water feels amazing now! The service didn’t take long at all and they were very knowledgeable. I would recommend this service to anyone who is looking to change their well water to soft and clean water.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Ben ** was very helpful in my challenging washer and dryer installation where we were working in a very tight closet space. I appreciated him making the effort and taking the time to make sure the job was completed and everything was in working order.

HomeAdvisor Company Information