Call Now Toll Free
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.58/5
Based on 1,135 ratings submitted in the last year

HomeAdvisor is an online resource that helps residents find reliable home repair or improvement services in their area. HomeAdvisor has service providers in multiple categories on its site, from maid services to HVAC repair, and screens each one to make sure you end up working with a trustworthy provider. It also backs its platform with a Happiness Guarantee.

HomeAdvisor Gallery (4)
Top Workplaces 2014
Top 100 Digital COmpanies in Colorado

BOTTOM LINE

HomeAdvisor connects residents who are looking to start a project or repair to pros and contractors in their area. The website works with more than 100,000 professionals who are prescreened for legitimacy and safety.

PROS

• Convenient app
  • Free to use
  • Instant online scheduling
  • Happiness Guarantee

CONS

• Doesn’t show all companies in area
  • Limited options in some locations

Top HomeAdvisor Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeAdvisor?

I’ve received… three services through HomeAdvisor Pros and am very satisfied... They are very diligent and recommend the best Pros. ... They were all very responsible, courteous and specially the inspector saved me from buying a home that was going to cost me lots of headaches and trouble.

As a new homeowner, I didn't know where to go to compare prices and reviews and get honest information, but so far, HomeAdvisor has been the best resource! I've hired 4 different providers as a result and I'm usually never surprised as to what I'm getting or paying.

HomeAdvisor Call Now Toll Free (866) 782-4077 Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

What is HomeAdvisor?

HomeAdvisor is a free online resource for homeowners. The company helps match you with a professional in your area that offers the services you need. The site provides estimated costs for services to help you understand what to expect when requesting quotes. HomeAdvisor has an online booking tool that lets you schedule a fixed-price service without picking up the phone.

Services available on HomeAdvisor include maid services, plumbing repairs, lawn care, electrical services, general contracting and hundreds of others. In general, you can book any home-related work through HomeAdvisor.

The company backs its service with a Happiness Guarantee, promising to make it right if something goes wrong.

How does HomeAdvisor work?

Using HomeAdvisor's site, you can search for local contractors for multiple types of home repairs or home services. HomeAdvisor prescreens each company and its owner to ensure proper licensing and customer satisfaction.

HomeAdvisor matches you with a contractor by guiding you through a series of questions and providing you with quotes from qualified local contractors. You can also book a fixed-price service immediately online. Alternatively, you can use the search bar to search for a local page for your area and see a list of companies. HomeAdvisor provides a snapshot of each company with relevant information such as services, reviews and phone numbers.

As you compare options, you can directly reach out to HomeAdvisor by phone or live chat.

If you’re not yet ready to contact a local professional, read through some of HomeAdvisor’s articles about the topic you’re searching. The company’s “Resource Center” section of its website contains a library of information about home services and projects.

HomeAdvisor cost

HomeAdvisor is completely free to use for homeowners searching for information about contractors and professionals in their area. There is no obligation to book a service if you choose to receive quotes.

For contractors who want to promote their business using the platform, HomeAdvisor charges a membership fee of around $300 per year, plus additional fees per lead (anywhere between $15 to $60). The exact cost depends on the business’s location and industry. This price per lead is charged even if the lead doesn’t turn into a customer.

HomeAdvisor FAQ

How much does it cost to be on HomeAdvisor?
Companies pay to be featured on HomeAdvisor. They pay a membership fee and a price per lead that varies depending on industry and location. Homeowners who are searching for a professional do not need to pay.
Is HomeAdvisor trustworthy?
For the most part, bad reviews are typically specific to contractors, not homeowners. HomeAdvisor prescreens each business on its site and shows ratings and reviews from previous customers. The company has handled over 100 million service requests, according to its website.
Is HomeAdvisor worth using?
Yes. Because it’s a free site, HomeAdvisor is a great way to start your search when looking for contractors. Of course, always ask friends and family for recommendations and advice as well.
Is HomeAdvisor free?
HomeAdvisor is free for homeowners to use. It does charge contractors who want to be featured on the site.

Is HomeAdvisor legit?

Using HomeAdvisor is a good way for homeowners to find vetted contractors in their area. However, because contractors pay to be featured on the website, it doesn't offer a full picture of all the options available locally. If you’re searching for a local home repair or improvement provider and want to read reviews from other customers, we recommend using HomeAdvisor.

HomeAdvisor Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeAdvisor?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I appreciate the service with HomeAdvisor.com when it comes to availability of quality pros, mostly. I've had two experiences with them that I wasn't happy with... gutter cleaner and exterminator. On one hand HA took care of the exterminator... But, on the other hand I find I can't go back and find information on people I've listed at times. If I list someone, and they don't work out, it becomes difficult to find that same group again. It's frustrating if you liked two, had one come out and the work not satisfactory but can't go back and find the second one. They've been substituted and no way to find them or why they're not listed any longer on your request. Other than that I've had some good responses and excellent work... On the other hand I've been disappointed by the responding pro. I guess that happens everywhere. Caveat Emptor.

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

I had a AC company that was doing a maintenance check on my unit. The serviceman informed me that my unit was leaking Freon and the coils needed replacing. He informed me that the unit was 7 years old and NOT under warranty. He suggested a new unit for $5,600. I first said okay and they said they could do it that afternoon. It got to be late Friday and I had company coming so called and ask that it be postponed to Monday. Then I decide to get a second opinion. I google AC repair in area and got HomeAdvisor.

Several companies responded but couldn’t come until Monday. Then, Essential Heating and Air responded and said they were in the area and could come in about an hour. They were a God sent. He checked the entire unit, found that it was only 4 years old and still under complete warranty. He found no leaks, in fact unit was in excellent shape. He added Freon and will check it again in 3 months. He saved me a lot of money. I appreciate his prompt response and honesty. Needless to say I’ve canceled the original company. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

5 stars is not enough for this company, they are 100 stars hands down. I hired this company to service and repair my furnace. Sent service person Joe to my home. This man is AMAZING.... Caring and compassionate, worked with me to do what he can to get me up and running. Very respectful of my home, very professional and extremely kind. He left my home clean as when he found it. He did a wonderful job and got my heat working. I would never use any other company after dealing with A-Absolute they are now my forever contractors. They know what they are doing and get the job done quickly. I would recommend this company to anyone who wants a fair price for high quality work. Explained everything in a way I could understand and gave great tips on keeping up with my furnace. Joe is the BEST!!! GO WITH THIS COMPANY YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED... STELLER WORK....

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

The clog in the house was so bad that gurgling was heard in the pipes for over a week from 1 load of laundry. The water from this load of laundry had come up into the toilet and shower in the basement. This had been a reoccurring problem for years. I was unable to get a plumber from the phone book so I went online and threw up a Hail Mary out of sheer desperation. HomeAdvisor popped up and I filled out my problem. I was given the name of a plumber to try, but became skittish and didn't call. This plumber contacted me within the hour and my problem was solved by the end of the day. I have never been happier with a plumber in my life. HomeAdvisor helped me find the perfect solution and gently guided me to the finish line. I will be forever in their debt AND I highly recommend this site to anyone needing help. I know what it's like to want to tear your hair out (LOL)!

Original review: July 6, 2020

Hired Contractor Andrew ** through HomeAdvisor after receiving 2 quotes from Pluming Companies in the area which were way out of our budget but we need our boiler and water heater replaced due to a faulty old boiler that caused a water pipe to burst last winter. Andrew responded within minutes of my submission to HomeAdvisor, he came to our house within minutes, he was prompt, personable, honest and professional. We didn't have to wait for his quote like I had to for the others. I had waited up to 1 month for my quote from the initial company that came out to assess the damage and do some repairs on the faulty boiler (to the tune of $2000.00-patch job), which didn't even work!!

I have to admit both my husband and I were skeptical about hiring an independent contractor because we were worried that they would not have the necessary skills or credentials needed to complete the job. Once I got the quote from Andrew I did a search on him and was able to see that he indeed had MP license and years of experience, which made us feel more comfortable with our decision to hire him. He completed the job in 2 days and earlier than expected. I would definitely recommend using HomeAdvisor for home improvements and repairs to friends and family. Thank you!

Original review: April 4, 2021

Clearing of land of trees and brush approximately 50 feet in from road and 185 feet wide. Clear all small trees, brush and level out the ground. Push all stumps and cut logs into a pile. Ended up clearing more than contracted for at a reasonable increase in the total price.

Original review: April 4, 2021

Ryan ** of Northeast Electrical Construction contacted me the next day after my Home Advisor query. I didn't hear from any other electricians in the area. Ryan was so prompt and I had his visit and quote the next day. I was very please with his professionalism and courtesy and hired his services. As you see I provided the team with 5 stars and my very satisfied review. Thanks.

Original review: April 3, 2021

Septic pumped was emergency very quick response and extremely responsible company was found. Home Advisor gave us numerous companies to call and get information from. This was very helpful and immediately we had help. Will continue to use this service to advise us what company to use.

Original review: April 3, 2021

Searched garage door repair on google. HomeAdvisor popped up. I filled out required information and within a few minutes received text and email. Four Seasons called me and I gave them the job. This was all done at 7 am in the morning. By 8:30 a technician showed up at my house. Great service.

Original review: April 2, 2021

The recommendations were (mostly) good. Some of the recommendations did not provide the service I was looking for, but good otherwise. Although some of the contractors tried to keep pushing me to get a storage type heater despite my clear request for a tankless water heater.

HomeAdvisor Company Information