Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.41/5
Based on 1,353 ratings submitted in the last year

HomeAdvisor is an online resource that helps homeowners find reliable home repair or improvement services in their area. HomeAdvisor has service providers in multiple categories on its site and screens each one to make sure you end up working with a trustworthy provider.

HomeAdvisor Gallery (4)
Top Workplaces 2014
Top 100 Digital COmpanies in Colorado

BOTTOM LINE

HomeAdvisor connects homeowners who are looking to start a project or repair to pros and contractors in their area. The website works with more than 100,000 professionals who are prescreened for legitimacy and safety.

PROS

• Easy to use
  • Convenient app
  • Free for consumers
  • Instant online scheduling

CONS

• Companies pay for features
  • Does not show all options

Top HomeAdvisor Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeAdvisor?

I have used Home Advisor several times and always have wound up with a great team and a job well done in the end. … Matter a fact, several houses were painted or sided on my block, and the Home Advisor recommended service company outperformed and came in at a better price.

I needed a small backyard design and renovation project. ... Once the job was finished, I was astonished by the end product. They worked fast, on-time, took care of every detail, and left everything clean at the end of each day. I LOVE my new backyard! You definitely get what you pay for.

HomeAdvisor Call Now Toll Free (866) 782-4077 Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

What is HomeAdvisor?

HomeAdvisor is an online resource for homeowners. The company helps match you with a professional in your area that offers the services you need. The site provides estimated costs for services to help you understand what to expect when asking for quotes from various companies. HomeAdvisor has an online booking tool that lets you schedule service without picking up the phone.

Services available on HomeAdvisor include maid services, plumbing repairs, lawn care, electrical services, general contracting and more. In general, you can book any home-related work through HomeAdvisor.

How does HomeAdvisor work?

Using HomeAdvisor's site, you can search for local contractors for multiple types of home repairs or home services. Companies pay to be listed, but HomeAdvisor’s experts prescreen each company and its owner to ensure legitimacy and safety. As you compare options, you can directly reach out to the company within the site itself and be instantly connected with an expert.

HomeAdvisor costs

HomeAdvisor is completely free to use for homeowners searching for information about contractors and professionals in their area. There are no strings attached in terms of cost or having to move forward with a service.

For contractors who want to promote their business using the platform, HomeAdvisor charges around $300 per year and additional fees per lead it sends to a business (anywhere between $15 to $60).

This price per lead is charged even if the lead doesn’t turn into a customer. For many contractors, the immense volume of leads and opportunities is worth the cost because it’s more simple and straightforward than other advertising strategies.

HomeAdvisor FAQ

How much does it cost to be on HomeAdvisor?
It costs about $300 per year to be featured on HomeAdvisor. Companies also pay for each lead sent their way, even if that lead does not become a customer.
Can I trust HomeAdvisor?
For the most part, bad reviews are typically specific to contractors, not homeowners. That being said, you should still complete your own research after you find a company.
Is HomeAdvisor worth using?
Yes. Since it’s a free site, HomeAdvisor is a great way to start your search when looking for contractors. Of course, always ask friends and family for recommendations and advice as well.
Is HomeAdvisor free?
HomeAdvisor is free for homeowners to use. It does charge contractors who want to be featured on the site.

Is HomeAdvisor legit?

HomeAdvisor is a good way for customers to find vetted and screened contractors in their area. However, because contractors pay to be featured on the website, it does not offer a full picture of all the options available locally. If you’re searching for a local home repair or improvement provider and want to read reviews from other customers, we recommend using HomeAdvisor.

HomeAdvisor Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HomeAdvisor?

Original review: July 6, 2020

Hired Contractor Andrew ** through HomeAdvisor after receiving 2 quotes from Pluming Companies in the area which were way out of our budget but we need our boiler and water heater replaced due to a faulty old boiler that caused a water pipe to burst last winter. Andrew responded within minutes of my submission to HomeAdvisor, he came to our house within minutes, he was prompt, personable, honest and professional. We didn't have to wait for his quote like I had to for the others. I had waited up to 1 month for my quote from the initial company that came out to assess the damage and do some repairs on the faulty boiler (to the tune of $2000.00-patch job), which didn't even work!!

I have to admit both my husband and I were skeptical about hiring an independent contractor because we were worried that they would not have the necessary skills or credentials needed to complete the job. Once I got the quote from Andrew I did a search on him and was able to see that he indeed had MP license and years of experience, which made us feel more comfortable with our decision to hire him. He completed the job in 2 days and earlier than expected. I would definitely recommend using HomeAdvisor for home improvements and repairs to friends and family. Thank you!

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2020

Home Advisor surprised us in a very positive way. Using their website is very easy and user friendly. It allows you to quickly state the type of work you are seeking. After we stated the work we needed, we quickly received several choices to choose from. Most of the recommendations from Home Advisor also called us to set up an appointment or offered to make an appointment on-line. We hired High Quality Wood Floors to sand, stain, and refinish 4 large rooms with closets, and 2 sets of stairs. They did an excellent job and we are very happy with the results. We also hired an asphalt company to pave our driveway, and are happy so far with this recommendation. The gentleman came out on the same day as our inquiry, and we hired him. The work should be getting started next week.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I would rather have the option to look at all the pros up front and read their reviews for myself for the task I've selected. Once I pick one out, then let you guys connect me to that pro. While having you recommend one pro to me right up front is nice and most people may like that but I really like to research and read reviews about companies before letting them into my home or trusting them to do work to my house. In this case, the roofing company that you recommended did an excellent job. They actually called the same day I put in the request and came by later that afternoon to look at the problem and put me cost estimate together. They were back two days later to do the work and completed it in a timely fashion.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

Skeptical and Hesitant at First; Now More Willing to Try Them. I think my subject says it all. Initially I was skeptical and very hesitant because I did not want numerous companies calling me. I prefer having a list, research them a bit, and then call the company myself. Well, I really need yard care and maintenance because my person was no longer working residential. So I went online and applied to Home Advisor. I was given several names along with a brief statement about each. No calling me, and the process worked for two reasons no excessive company calls and the list of companies were top notch. I could make the decisions without added pressure. Now I am more inclined to use Home Advisor. The way the world is today, I will always be a bit cautious, but I believe that I can grow to trust Home Advisor.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

I needed help immediately on Sunday, during Labor Day weekend, while everyone was preparing for Hurricane Dorian. I called quite a few companies I found via Google, but none could help (one offered to, but I never heard back from their local office, and that wasted a lot of time). HomeAdvisor found me two professionals, both of whom offered to take care of a wasps' nest behind one of my hurricane shutters. One wasn't sure if/when he could get to my home, but the other took care of the problem for me, and the cost was very reasonable, especially given the timing.

The one issue I had with HomeAdvisor was that however these two professionals were contacted internally...that didn't work. When I emailed both of them (thanks to the email addresses HomeAdvisor provided) and explained my situation, they both replied. Maybe it was their understanding of my circumstances that led them to help, but I had also explained that in my description of the project. In any case...thank you! I needed to protect my home and family from what may be an extremely dangerous storm here (we don't know yet), and you helped me do that.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

When you go with low cost you could end up like myself: a 3 year old heat pump unit and can't get in touch with Trane to find out who previously registered this unit. Automated message that unit ser nu was previously registered. I was on endless wait for someone to answer at Trane.

Original review: July 31, 2020

First they scheduled an appointment for two days out-- great huh? Claimed they had confirmed the appointment with the contractor. Day of the job I get a text message saying the contractor cannot come and re-scheduling for two days later at 9:00. Not so great, day of the new appointment comes I get a message pushing back to 9:30. Next the guy is lost, claims the office gave him wrong address. Next cannot seem to find the job site from the description and the address.

Finally two hours late he shows up and says that the job description on the work order doesn't match the job site. I ordered, was quoted and paid for 21 replacement screens. Work order is to repair one screen door. I says he will revise the bid and get back to me. Spends and hour measuring, leaves and never comes back. So I file a complaint. Nice email says they will get back to me. Now I'm out money and time, still no screens and no answer. My advice-- run, don't walk away from these guys.

Mark

HomeAdvisor response

Hi Mark, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have forward your information to the proper department and a rep will be reaching out. If there is anything additional we can assist you with please reach out to emailus@homeadvisor.com. -HASupport

Original review: July 30, 2020

Be aware that if you sign up for Home Advisor is it my opinion that they sell your personal info to. I am called incessantly by car warranty companies more than a year later and it all started after I signed up on their website for info.

HomeAdvisor response

Hi Scott, We are sorry to hear about your experience. When submitting a project request with HomeAdvisor we connect you with available pros to help complete that home project. We are not affiliated with any car warranty companies, do not sell consumer data, and are investigating this further. -HASupport

Original review: July 30, 2020

Home Advisor always allows me to plan out my budget and I get free estimates for immediate or planned projects which allows me to budget and make sound decision on which contractor I prefer. It allows me to research each contractor by quality, price and service.

Original review: July 30, 2020

The roof replacement was smooth, painless and CNY Complete Contracting did an amazing and thorough job. Superior Insulation also did a great job.. Both companies were timely, communicative, efficient and both took the time to re-clean and pick up the areas in which they worked. Thank you!

HomeAdvisor Company Information