Orkin Pest Control

Compare Pest Control Companies

Research top Pest Control Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am very disappointed in the service. For one they state my home is serviced quarterly. What a JOKE. The last time my home was serviced was September 2016 and the technician didn't even have a ladder to complete the service. I endured the whole winter with mice. Thanks to them and they showed up in March and now again June 7th I was home all day, no one was here. Explained that and they said they have a work order for exterior services from 2:12 until 2:37. I pay a $160 quarterly for 25 minute services. What rip off.

I've been using Orkin for about 8 months, and I have had nothing but excellent experience with them. My technician has always been on time, courteous, immaculate, and has always taking care of my home. If I ever had a problem, he came right back with no questions asked. I wouldn't go anywhere else. Is knowledgeable and answer any questions that I might have.

Recently bought a house. The sellers were in contract with Orkin regarding pre existing termites. Orkin never came back out to check! There was damage the seller had to pay for. Well, we just had Envirotech come out. Guess what? Termites are still there! They treated ONE portion of the house - not the whole thing! This company is JOKE!!! DO NOT USE.

We found tiny white bugs in our house after a dog was outside in our garden. We called Orkin as they just provided us with a treatment a few days ago. The technician "thought" the bugs were lice which I found hard to believe but was told that Orkin doesn't treat for lice. Well it turns out that the little bugs were aphids and not lice - great call Orkin man!!! I will be asking for my money back and cancelling further treatments from a company with untrained technicians. Scare averted but wow completely different treatments. Don't use the Harrisburg area technicians or the local customer service - very poor on both ends.

I called Orkin to set up a time for them to come out to my residence last Thursday (5-18-17) and they said they would be by between 2-4pm. Around 4:15-4:20pm no one from Orkin has shown up or even called to inform me of the situation. I called Orkin to see what the problem was and they said one of their employees quit. I told them that that was unfortunate, but why would no one contact me to inform me of the situation, since I took off work to meet at the arranged time. The rep said she was sorry and re-scheduled for the following Tuesday, yet the interesting thing is a rep called me on Monday and said they were on their way out to see me, to which I told them it was supposed to be for the next day. I went ahead and left work once again. Long story short Orkin's price was $2k over 5 other quotes and with their sub-standard customer service/time management, I would highly NOT recommend using Orkin.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orkin?

I recently called the Orkin man to treat my house for roaches. As embarrassing as it is, they told me the first 2 treatments would initially cost 140 dollars or something and 70 for any other trips after. On the second trip they decided to charge my credit card for 70 dollars and sent another man out to tell me I had termites! He gave me some ridiculous estimate. That's where my problem started, from that point on we no longer had roaches but my daughters were getting bitten by something in the night. The original Orkin man came back for a final treatment to guarantee the roaches were gone and I showed him my daughter's arm. He said it was bed bug bites and that he would get back to me, which he never did.

Anyway, my concern is that I find it really ironic how they treated me for roaches and as soon as they were gone I get bed bugs? That to me seems like one heck of a coincidence, but more likely a setup! I have a certain feeling that while treating my house for the roaches they purposely infested my house with a pest that is much more difficult to get rid of without professional help! Granted I have no proof and this is all speculations but come on. In the world that we live in it makes perfect sense to me that they would protect their interests and try to force me to come back to their service! I left a complaint with their customer care and I highly doubt they actually care!! I am very displeased and would have highly recommended them to my friends but not now!!!

We were charged in the beginning $640.00, then $85.00 per quarter. This has been going on for three years and we trusted them to do the right thing. Never Trust Anyone. Cancelled our contract with Orkin... had a state pesticide inspector check our house. Right inside the crawl space there was a termite tunnel from the ground up into the floor joists. Will have to replace four or more of the floor joists. If Orkin was doing what they said they would do, why do we still have termites and are going to have to replace boards under our house? CON. They get the chemicals for free from Dow Chemicals so what are we paying for? Thieves in a white coat. Contract CANCELLED. Lawyer time.

Please read this review before you use this company. I went with this company based on the price and their willingness to complete services on weekends. I was 100% satisfied with the first visit Orkin paid. This is were my satisfaction ended. We thought we had mice in our attic, it turns out it was a bat based on the feedback from the Orkin rep. He also knocked down the hornet nest as well per our request.

Late summer quickly turned to winter in Minnesota. I understand we agreed to fine follow-up sessions, but the rep called two days prior to his arrival and always left a voice mail stating he was could to show up and to call him back if it was problem. I cannot take time off with only a two day advance notice! I am certainly not going to leave my house open for the rep to just walk in.

The services they offered were a joke. In January and February the rep claimed he walked around our house and spray for rodents and insects. He also claimed he knocked down old spider webs and bees nests. It is Minnesota!!! What insects are you spraying for? They all are dead!!! Additionally, you certainly should not be knocking down old webs and nests in the winter... What were you doing in prior months that I PAID YOU FOR? All insects have been dead for months... There could not possibly be new nests or webs in the middle of winter. What a waste of money.

This company apparently has a billing system that is not from this century. I was told simply because I did not sign up for the auto payment method, it means I don't get a bill in the mail until my account was 60-90 days past due. I should not need to beg this company to send me a bill in order for me to pay them. Even after I called to get this resolved, it continued to happen.

The one time I was even able to get the time off to accommodate the rep coming to my house, it came in and started spraying chemical INSIDE MY HOUSE. I did not ask him to do this nor was ok with it. But what was I suppose to do... He just started spraying and never asked for my permission??? Who knows if this was even a healthy chemical to spray indoors... Please look locally before agreeing to use Orkin.

Orkin Pest Control came to my house on 04/17/2017. I was told that I had carpet beetles. They said that they were treating for the carpet beetles. On 04/25/2017 the office manager came to my house at my request after I had to report him to the corporate office. He told me he spoke the tech that treated my house and he saw no signs of carpet beetles, but since I was upset he told me that I had carpet beetles and treated for them. REALLY!!

I called Orkin because I thought I might have snakes in my basement. Turns out I didn't, but the Orkin representative said I did have a high moisture level in my basement (although there was no visible water) and that I should have the wood treated with boron and a moisture barrier installed over the dirt part of the basement. He also suggested a very expensive dehumidifier system. There was no way I could afford the dehumidifier (We are talking thousands of dollars), but I did agree to the boron treatment and the moisture barrier, for $2462.00. A major investment for me, since I am retired and this represents almost my entire monthly income.

On the day one young man spent 3 hours in my basement and when he left the plastic was just tacked to the ground, and didn't even overlap in some places. This seemed like not much for that amount of money, so I looked up basement moisture barriers online to see what this typically involved. Every site I visited said that in order to be an effective moisture barrier the seams must overlap and be glued and the edges must be sealed, adhering to the walls and adjoining floor.

An Orkin inspector came out and he seemed to agree that the work was not adequate and assured me that he would send someone out to fix it. Today two men came out and glued, but did not seal, the seams and did not seal the edges at all. I was assured that this is how Orkin does it, so there doesn't seem to be any recourse except litigation, and I am not going to court. I have two issues with my experience. The first is that when there were no snakes, instead of just going away, the Orkin agent convinced me that I needed a service that I had not asked for. The second is the substandard quality of the work performed. Do NOT let Orkin perform this type of service for you. Get someone whose main business is waterproofing basements, not pest control.

I observed an Orkin applicator spraying a poison which he identified as Talstar on a building about six feet from my property line, where I am growing some organic vegetables. When I became concerned about this and asked if he had sprayed next to my fence yet, he smirked and said he'd already done it. I became angry and said this poison could wash off in the next rain and drain into my garden. He became belligerent and said he could spray anything legal on that property and that I had nothing to say about it, and ordered me off the property.

He then contacted the owners to complain, and have me removed. I left and later contacted Orkin who told me I could file a complaint with them if I wished. I talked to a state agency who suggested I could Google the product to find out more. I did learn this product is a possible human carcinogen. Evidently people who don't wish to be poisoned have no rights outside their own property. Zero stars for rudeness, arrogance, and no consideration for the health of others.

Orkin Pest Control - Internet Complaint Filed. Orkin provides a 30 day "guarantee". When they returned to perform the exact same service, on the exact same location in our house, for the exact same insect type, they did NOT consider the first treatment a failure and then reset the 30 day guarantee time period. While we would expect to pay for treatment in other locations, or for other insect types, this failure to resolve our Carpenter Bee problem and not consider the first treatment inadequate is unacceptable.

The $275 cost was more than expected for a very few dollars' worth of chemicals and 20 minutes of time. Neither local customer service nor corporate customer relations cared about this matter at all. In spite of a Customer Relations phone number, Corporate Customer Relations at Orkin appears to be essentially non-existent. When you call the Corporate Customer Relations number, the only menu choices are new service or referral to the local branch! Our business relationship with Orkin is now terminated.

I had ants on my kitchen counter and called Orkin and they came October 2015 and December 2015 then I cancelled 1/2016 and 3/2016 because of snow and winter cold. I hired them again May 2016 thru January 2017. I emailed the manager twice to ask when will my ants be gone and he never answered me. I called this morning at 9am 4/10/2017 and the manager was in a meeting and was suppose to call me back - he still did not and it is 2:30. I paid about $500 and I still have ants - they did not get rid of them. One of the times the ants covered my counter tops and when I called Orkin as a customer they said they couldn't come until the following week. For now on I will go to Home Depot to get ant traps and spray and do it myself for less. This Orkin is in Woodland Park NJ.

Orkin is horrible! Terrible! I've never seen such awful customer service! We've had our termite control contract since 2013, and Orkin has been out to check the treatment devices twice! Orkin literally does absolutely nothing and charges me $27 a month! Then, I miss a call and get a voicemail saying my card has been declined, so I call the same number that called me to give them my new card number, and I get the run-around!

One guy says he can't find my account. The next guy says he's found my address, but it's under the previous owner's name, when we've been there and had the contract under our name for 4 years! Then, they transfer me to a girl who tells me I owe $300! WTF?!? I said, "No, I don't! I'm just trying to change the card on file so you can take out the monthly payment of $27!" She transfers me AGAIN! This time, I get someone's voicemail so, of course, I hung up and called back. Once the girl finds out I'm same one who called a second ago, she transfers me to the voicemail again! I left a very irate message! I'm pissed!

I called Orkin for a rodent problem I had. The guy came over just to placed 2 glue traps in the attic and spent 2 hours talking about the first girlfriend he had in high school. He did not do anything. I wasted my money and time. Orkin advertising says money back guarantee but guess what, I didn't get my money back because the guy spent 2 hours in my house. I should of read the reviews first. I hope this help other people not to fall for false advertising.

I paid $650 UPFRONT for a pest control and my problem was not solved. I had a exterminator come out on three different occasions and still nothing changed. Finally, fed up I called the Orkin manager and requested a refund and he refused to do so, blatantly just telling me I could not get back my money. On their web page it clearly stated "Money Back Guaranteed". The manager kept insisting that they come out again, but I refuse to let them keep trying to sell me a product that clearly wasn't work for me. It was too much of a hassle moving clothes and furniture back and forth several times a week. This company is a total rip off and I would not recommend to my worst enemy.

I was charged by this company for services NOT received. The technician claimed nobody was home when in fact, due to the snow storm my entire family was home. I called the local branch to rectify it, and instead they charged my card and did not call me back like I asked. Shady stuff and I plan on canceling my contract with these thieves!!! If you look at the receipt, it clearly states signature not entered.

I had Orkin out of Wilmington, NC for my bug maintenance for 3 1/2 years. The first 2 years the service was excellent however the last 1 1/2 years it dropped drastically to basically no service at all. My tech said I was allowed to have in between sprays from my regular dates, but when I started finding more cockroaches and kept calling him, I got no response and then finally he said I have to change my account to increase service. He didn't show up in my place for several months. When I called to see why service tech had not visited, I was told they had cancelled my contract because lack of payment and had turned me into collections for last payment. I inquired about what they were talking about as I have always paid my bills on time, I found out that they had sent the bill to my old address, but had never given me a courtesy phone call or email. Even though they had my correct email or phone.

I reset up my account with them and scheduled a date for tech to visit next time he was on Oak Island, NC. That Tuesday came and went, no tech, no treatment. Made more phone calls to tech's cell phone, text messages to him, called the Wilmington Orkin home office, spoke to both girls in office several times, asked to speak to manager several times with no response back from manager. Also was given wrong info each time I called them stating that manager and tech had called me, IPHONE's do have memory, no phone calls back.

As of today I cancelled my contract, I was then told that it had been canceelled and my key is in the mail already, what a joke as I was just calling them then to cancel. Will see if I receive my key or if I have to change my locks and add security code. VERY LOUSY BUSINESS FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. DO NOT USE THEM. Called Manning pest control today on Oak Island and they set up an account for me in less than 5 minutes, and set tech up to come out when I could be available with 10 percent discount if paid for the whole year. And they gave my neighbor who referred me a 25$ credit. Wish I found them 1 1/2 year ago.

I contracted with Orkin less than a year ago that was to include services when called or quarterly for one year. December quarterly visit - no show. January visit because December was missed - no show. March visit - had to call on day of appointment to encourage the tech to come out to keep the appointment or else it would have been a no show. On the March appointment tech brought a little tiny puffer of some sort and wanted to only apply treatment in a few corners of the home asking where I thought it should be applied. When asked about spraying the perimeters of the home - he stated, "We don't do that." (That's what I contracted for.) Then he went ahead and did that with much protest and put a sticky trap in one spot (which I did not request nor need). He still missed a few walls - which I pointed out.

Then I told him I wanted to cancel the "contract" since it is not providing any services as promised and not even quarterly. He called his manager and the following day I got an automated debit for $112 that was not authorized and that was never discussed with me. Special note - after they missed the December scheduled appointment, someone called and asked me if they could just show up and treat around the outside of the house. I denied this request because I needed to be there and there is no access to the back and sides of the house but through the inside access, and further, that is not what I contracted for. From my experience with them, they are only going to come out when a contracting opportunity is involved and they are not delivering services as promised or expected.

On 2/23/2017, an Orkin technician responded to my request for rodent control. He placed traps inside the kitchen and garage and advised on various ways to discourage rodents. Specifically, I told him that if a rodent is caught in the kitchen, I will not be able to handle it. Sticky boards were used in the kitchen instead of snap traps because I have a cat. The traps in the kitchen remained empty until late Saturday when it did trap a large rat. It was still alive, of course, and was aggressively trying to free itself. ORKIN advised that I was to call the technician and the call center for removing trapped rodents. I was never told what to do if one is caught on a weekend or after hours. I just assumed Orkin had technicians available during odd times. I called, no one answered. Left messages on technician's and call center's phones.

Sunday morning, sure enough, the rat got free and disappeared. The sticky board was empty. I called again. No answer. It is now 9 AM, PST, 2/27, 3 days later. Thus far, no one has called back. The trap failed because there was not enough glue on the board. The technician put one thin line of glue in the middle of the board. Must be short of glue or something. That rat has not returned. If it's smart, it is probably nesting in another part of the house. We worked hard and waited for this catch. A wasted opportunity. I signed a contract. I will only concede partial payment and dispute the rest. Their sticky boards are a joke. I went to Orchard Supply Hardware and bought some boards for myself. The entire surface of the boards I bought was fully covered with glue. That's how it should be.

Updated 03/01/2017: Continuing with my first review... the Orkin technician did not return my phone calls until Monday, 2/27. He did not listen to the 3 voicemail messages I left on his phone over the weekend and had no idea that one of Orkin's stick board did trap a rat late Saturday, 2/25, but broke free on 2/26. On the phone on 2/27, I complained that no one responded to my calls over the weekend. It was the first time that the technician explained Orkin's call center closes at 2 pm on Saturdays and stays closed until the following business day. Further, there is no after-hours technician available after 7 pm during the week. If I had known of these restrictions, I would never have signed up with Orkin. Further, the technician told me the rat was supposed to dive its nose into the glue to get the bait and, in so doing, suffocate. He said it's unusual for a trapped rodent to break free. Well, surprise comes in small packages! That one broke free.

Orkin did not provide for that contingency. And they are experts?! Consider this: if the rat had remained trapped but still alive or suffocated. Because there was no service over the weekend, that creature would have remained there all weekend, either squealing or decomposing. IN MY KITCHEN. Here's more... on 2/26, I went to Orchard Supply Hardware, bought my own sticky boards and added them to Orkin's boards under the kitchen counter.

On 2/27, some time between 4 and 6:30 pm, the rat emerged from its hiding place. I came home at 6:30 and there it was crouched in a corner. I blocked the kitchen entrance, grabbed my neighbor and he killed/disposed of the rat. All in 5 minutes. Free of charge. Homeowner, 1. Orkin, zero. Technician returned on 2/28 for regular rat trap check and removed the Orkin sticky board from which the rat broke free. Why did he do that? To remove the "evidence" of Orkin's incompetence, I gather. Clearly, if he had put more than just a thin line of glue, that rat would have remained trapped.

I made an appointment for 8 to 10, missed work to be at home when he arrived. He called me 10 minutes after the appointment to say he could not make it. This is not professional at all. I am searching for a new company.

I made an appointment. I was required to give them my credit card information to schedule the appointment, but then they never showed. I feel like they owe me for wasting my time. When I called to find out why no one showed up, I was told they had no idea and will have to wait until Monday morning when the branch opens back up. Now I am going to have to miss work just to have an exterminator check my house. Don't waste your time with a company that thinks nothing of wasting yours.

In October 2016 I requested them to do a 1 year service for roaches on one of my properties and after my 1st appt. while their tech was at the property he made harassing rude inappropriate remarks towards me, how my property looked. I called the local office, requested to speak with the manager and when he didn't call me back they billed me and when I refused to pay it and called him again and told him that he and his low life employee needed to stop leaving rude notes on my door and rude voicemails they continued to show up unannounced and even did treatments outside the property after I told them I didn't want their business.

Fast forward to yesterday. I caught his employee watching my house when I pulled into my driveway after work. He approached me and said they weren't going away and if I didn't allow them back onto the properties I had assigned for treatment that they would turn me in for unsafe environmental hazards. They can't be making false harassing allegations like this and bullying people once they have terminated the contract.

Orkin has protected this home for 58 years under the same contract!! Yes it is at an unbelievable price due to it never being cancelled. There is not a doubt in my mind of whether or not we were given an excellent product and application 5 years ago when they retreated for a termite infestation. They did a great job in repairing damage and the retreat. But, this is not the heart of the issue. The heart of the issue is, Orkin wants to nullify a bond that has been active for close to 58 years based on a payment not received that was issued and sent through the Federal Mailing System. 40 days before the coverage ended.

The facts are: The coverage was from 12/16 – 12/17 (noted on invoice). I received an invoice October and November. I issued the payment to Orkin using Orkin's envelope and method of transit (USPS) - November 20, 2016. I mailed the invoice stub and check ** November 20, 2016. Orkin did not receive the payment. I was never notified or warned that this policy was being cancelled - They had my active cell #. I reached out to Orkin by phone (1-11-2017) when I noticed that the check hadn’t cleared my bank. Orkin then informed me that I no longer had an account (due to non-payment). This clearly is not right for Orkin to relinquish this policy taking the said events into account.

The branch Manager Phil ** clarified to me that there is a 30 day grace period. In actuality this coverage ended January 1, 2017. Thirty days from that point is January 30, 2017. I have asked them to reinstate this account seeing and understanding these events. I asked that he would operate with the high integrity he claims to possess.

If I could rate it less I would rate them a negative 5 very poor service. The tech could not tell the difference between a snake and roach bait. She would come out and ask where we saw roaches and spray a little. We were promised full reports. Full coverage spray in the house bait and outside spraying. We ended providing our own bait. She did not spray anywhere but where we saw roaches, we kept telling her we saw the around the refrigerator. She said they do not go in electronics. Ended up having more pests after using them than before. If you want to lose your money and get no results then by all mean use them.

They are prompt when we call and need assistance. Their staff are extremely knowledgeable and thorough in their assessment and treatment of the problem. They take the time to carefully explain the pests and how they behave; what the treatment will do as well as risks to pets and people. They listen to our questions and concerns and give thorough answers that address the issues. Staff are friendly and genuinely want to help.

They will not follow through. First visit I was told would be an 45 min. to an hour, with full report. Never got a report. Took 10 minutes. Ask where I saw the bug, sprayed and left. One day after he left I had a bigger problem than before he came. My tile floors were black from all the bug. I called and was told, "Oh that's too bad. You get more bugs in your home this time of year. Tell your guy next time he comes out". He also said oh well too bad I must have stirred something up. Then we started to have mice in our kitchen. All they did was give us some traps to put down ourselves, so I call for my money back, was told he will be out tomorrow to fix between 3-5pm and hung up on me.

This time he put 2 traps down, put some foam in a hole and left. After our year was up they keep coming even though I asked our guy not to. We could not afford to pay that much. Still had a problem with mice and spiders. So I called, left a voice mail telling them that if they are not going to do anything to help give me my money back and stop coming out and that I would like to talk to someone so to please call. Never called, so I called again. Once again I was told they will not give me my money back but will send someone today. So once again my husband leaves work early. The guy spent 2 minutes taking pictures, said his team will figure out what to do and call back. That was 4 months ago! Nothing. No calls, no money. So I had a contractor and my dad and I all worked to get the mouse problem fixed.

The people were very efficient and took the time to explain what they were doing. The cost was very affordable. I love dealing with Orkin Pest Control. The people that I have dealt with are very friendly and very efficient. They call ahead to make sure I'm home. When spraying they spray in every place that I ask with no questions asked. I would recommend this company to anyone. My rating would be excellent and a high five.

They are wonderful. Always check to see if we have issues, always knock down wasp nests for me and they make sure we have no ants in the house and no fleas in the yard. They come in between appointments if requested at not cost. I've used other services. None were this good. They use special chemicals that won't bother asthmatics without asking! Excellent service and attention to detail. I always get a call the night before my tech comes. He has serviced my home for years.

I am 78 years old, living on a fixed income. I live in Fort Sumner NM. A few years ago I needed pest control so called Orkin. My closest provider is in Amarillo TX. The Orkin man came over a few times that year and has a few times in the years since. In October I got a telephone call from a technician telling me he was coming the next day. I was out of town and told him not to come. I told him I couldn't afford it, that I was gone and that I didn't want him to come. He called back later and apologized but told me he HAD to come and spray the outside of my house. Then I got a bill for $80.95. My Social Security is just $559 per month. So I wrote the Amarillo office and they told me I had signed a form giving them authorization to come every month, even when I was not home.

I told them I hadn't given such authorization. They then sent me a form that I had initialled over two years before. I had initialled it, but it was for a specific situation and nothing that I ever intended to be in effect eternally. Now I am getting overdue notices. I have written them, have written the Better Business Bureau in Amarillo, with no response except overdue notices from a lady named Janice. I pay my bills, but I don't feel that this bill was ever justified. I told him not to come. The technician said he understood but that he had no choice since his manager was insisting that he come. I don't ever want to hear the name Orkin again. I've told all the people at the Senior Center and at my church to stay away from Orkin. This is very upsetting to me. Can you possibly help me? I don't know where else to turn.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Orkin is one of the most popular and largest pest control companies in the world. The company serves businesses and residential property owners both across the country and internationally.

• Company reputation: Orkin is known as one of the leading experts in pest control. The company is more than 113 years old.
  • Variety of services: Orkin offers a variety of pest control services, including termites, bed bugs, rodents, ants, roaches, spiders, scorpions, bees, ticks, mosquitoes, and more.
  • Location of company: Orkin has locations across the world, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, Central America, South America, the Middle East, Asia, the Mediterranean, Africa, the Caribbean, and Australia, so it’s a convenient option for customers across the world.
  • Service: Because Orkin exists across the world, it’s hard to depend on consistent customer service. Representatives from location to location may differ due to different regional challenges, different managers, etc.
  • Scheduling: Customers who need quick service from Orkin may experience delays and long wait times when trying to book an appointment.
  • Best for Landlords of large residential buildings, single-family homeowners, apartment & condo owners, commercial property owners

Compare Pest Control