Orkin Pest Control
1.61/5

Looking for a pest control company?

Orkin Pest Control

516 Orkin Pest Control Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 16, 2019

Orkin treated bed bugs in my home. I paid them $2,100.00 for the whole home treatment (as they do not do a one room only treatment because they can’t guarantee the bed bugs will not run to other rooms. This costing more money in the long run). The Tech explained to me that I had the option of a one time treatment, which is only guaranteed for 30 days, or I had the option to add 1 year monthly follow ups, thus providing me a one year guarantee in case bed bugs ever return. Treatment was great and they followed up in 7 days to make sure bed bugs were gone and followed up Monthly after that. The Tech took the time to educate me about bed bugs and how easy it is for ANYONE (even myself) to come into my home and unknowingly have bed bug eggs or the adult bed bugs on their clothing, thus infesting my home again.

I’m so glad I chose to have the monthly follow up inspections/treatment for a whole year because I had out of town company who actually brought bed bugs back into my home again. Orkin was great... they sent the Tech out to treat my home again and since then I’ve had not other problems. It is definitely worth the money to have a one year added guarantee.

After all, it’s better to be proactive than reactive. My experience with Orkin was a great one and life saver. They never hesitated and sent the tech out right away to take care of the bed bug re-infestation problem. My experience has been WONDERFUL! And I will recommend Orkin to everyone. They stick by their word, are honest, and as a customer I can’t thank them enough! I rate them 5 stars (would rate them a 10 - but 10 is not available) as compared to any other pest control company. I will never use anyone other than Orkin for any of my pest control needs. Thank you Orkin for a job well done!

Original review: March 1, 2019

I have been a loyal customer for over 30 years, that is until 2-28-2019. My service was provided from Orkin located at 2640 E 84th Place, Merrillville IN 46410-6424. Being a senior citizen there are times when our funds run a little short. Yes my bill is 90 days past due (3rd time in 30 years). Called your office and stated I will pay the $169.00 in full on March 13, 2019. The secretary was totally disrespectful and absolutely no help blaming Corporate for cancelling the service. Final word THANK YOU AND GOODBYE ORKIN. HELLO TERMINIX.

Get expert buying tips about Pest Control delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I really don't write reviews but I want other consumers in the market for pest control. DON'T BOTHER WITH THIS COMPANY. I have a duplex with 2 different entries. Had treatment for ants on September 2018 which I paid with my card. They then came back out in November only servicing the 1st floor with no notice or communication with me of this appointment. I got a bill in the mail and I called customer services questioning the bill. They said they came out and service the home. I explained that this is a duplex and that I wasn’t going to pay for full service if I wasn’t getting it and I wanted to cancel.

I didn’t hear anything back from them until today and it was a credit collector. I told her that I didn’t have a problem paying half the bill because that’s all I got was half the service. She was so rude to me and very accusatory to me and said there was nothing that she can do. I don’t know how long I was on the phone with her trying to explain to her that I didn’t want their services and that there was something that they can do about the bill. Anyway long story short, she said that she would call me back and a few hours later I have not heard from them. This company is a ripoff. My ant problem never went away with their products but I did manage to gain control with home remedies. Think before you use their services.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I call Orkin to see what their prices were like in comparison to Terminix. I told the Orkin rep. that "I will get back to you if I choose your service". From the moment I hung up the phone I received numerous texts, calls and emails from several representatives, not for 1 day but several days. I was being abused by them taking my time to check emails, text and calls. I had enough, I called and spoke to the manager, it still continued. I had to go so far as to state "I WILL REPORT YOU FOR HARASSMENT IF THIS DOES NOT STOP IMMEDIATELY". Their prices are much higher than Terminix, and Terminix respected me and allowed me to contact them. I forgot to mention this, I told Orkin they were calling my place of business, but they were so inconsiderate of me as a possible customer. They did not care.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I spoke in customer service regarding my service. I explained everything that I don't need service anymore. The service guy who visit last I told him too that this is last. I don't need service after that and he said ok. He didn't told me that you have to call for cancelation but still they charged me for the service which I don't get. The lady whom I talked to phone is apathetic and rude.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orkin?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I really don't write reviews but I want other consumers in the market for pest control. DON'T BOTHER WITH THIS COMPANY. Either the techs that come out have no clue about any of the products they're using or they just don't show up. We are scheduled for a monthly service at my business and every month and 1/2 I'm calling them to remind them. Crazy so I cut my losses and made the phone call to another pest control company. Don't waste your money or time with this company. If I could have left no stars I would have.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Tech was not knowledgeable, cocky & disrespectful. Young & inexperienced. Waited a week for service & when he finally did get here; he was late. Explained nothing & not thorough. I still have insect issue.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

In Florida we need termite control. I had Orkin come out and they drilled holes around my house to put the termite liquid into the ground. They said PET SAFE but really anything that kills bugs is not safe! The holes they drilled in between concrete slabs were covered with a concrete patch which just blew away. My Service Dog liked to lie at the end of the garage as he could view most of the farm. Orkin came out twice to see this patch job but they didn't do anything. A few months after the service my service dog became ill and within 4 days he passed away. Now tell me this is pet safe!

They pulled up weed control fabric next to the house and still they have not put it back. They covered some spots with grass clipping. I am paying them a lot of money and now I have lost my service dog who helped me walk and balance and I still have open holes. What can I do? If I stop paying them it will ruin my credit rating. I can't do the physical work to fix the landscape fabric and what will happen to the mobility dog I am currently training?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I live in Phila, I had Orkin come out for a mouse problem. They had me sign a contract for a whole year over one Thousand dollars. Said they could not solve the mouse problem. Had me pay another thousand dollars for something called a exclusion. The mouse problem is solved but they are still nailing a grand for the contract. My issue is why didn’t they tell me. They could of just did the exclusion to begin with. Now I am paying a thousand dollars extra for a problem that has been solved! What a scam!!! They do not make appts to come to your home. They just drop by then do not do the service because most of the time when they drop by I am in work. If you need pest control Do yourself a favor and call Terminix.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Orkin is a ripoff! I called them to kill the fleas in my home! They absolutely didn't! They came 3 times but only smelled chemicals the first time which didn't kill them! They came back twice afterwards and didn't do their job! Oh but you must pay them upfront before they do anything! I paid $200 for nothing!!! No they don't reimburse! Lousy! Kentucky.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Had treatment for spiders on 11/27/18. Got a bill a week later. Paid it the next day by mail, credit card. Today 12/18/18 get a "friendly reminder" (i.e. past due). Called Orkin to let them know the service was TWO weeks ago, I paid it the day after I got the first bill, and a snotty rude unprofessional lady told me it was late, I should have called to pay it and not mail it. I told her it wasn't past due. She went on and on that it should have been paid up front and had I done that it wouldn't be past due. I said I wasn't asked to pay that day - but paid in a week when I got a bill. She wanted to charge it then and now, I said no since I just sent in the info to charge my account. I didn't want to be double charged (will watch my credit card closely). She was so rude to me and very accusatory to me. Bad experience and crappy customer service from Orkin staff. Won't use them again!!! Too many other companies that do just as good!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

My nephew's room had bed bugs. I paid $1500 for Orkin to spray in June 2018. In less that 3 months we noticed the bed bugs didn’t die. They just migrated to the next room. A total waste. So now I’m out of $1500 and will probably have to purchase a new bed.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

My initial service began in the Spring of 2018 and I signed up for the mosquito and crawling bugs service for the exterior of my home, including front and backyard. Upon the assessment of the backyard and the fact that I didn't have any trees within my yard, the agent sprayed the grass and stated that I wouldn't need the service package, so I can cancel it and the would be only $50 for that day. I did so but was then charged another $85 for the balance of the service. I called customer service throughout the summer requesting a credit and they stated they saw in the system exactly what I said and would take care of it.

Firstly, I never signed up for auto billing on the card that I provided for the service for the initial service. I stated that they can invoice for services. So they took it upon themselves to charge my card for a service that I had already cancelled. Secondly, I had to call them back several times after that to rectify the matter and it never happened. Until the next situation arose when the agent came for the October service for the package that I did keep for crawling bugs. I wasn't home and so he didn't have access but he commenced to walk around one side of the house and the front, which was all he could access but charged me for the full service. I saw him on my cameras and that on top of the other situation made me determine to cancel the package. I was not going to leave it to chance so I then changed my credit card number as well. THIS IS A SHADY COMPANY!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

So many bad reviews and I will tell you why. The main reason is people are either impatient or have no money. They took less than 5 minutes. Problem solved. I have seen a decrease in just 4 hours. I live in apartment so I pretty much need them to come back often. Signed the longest contract for the cheapest price. Cancel anytime if needed. No fees. I just resign up if I need it again! Thanks for getting rid of the problem.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I ordered to remove bed bug in my house, they charge me $1025.00 for inspection and treatment. But the bed bugs didn’t gone. I called them back and told them still I have a problem, but they said I have to pay $95.00 for treatment because it is more than 1 month. They took my money for nothing. I will advise for people instead of calling this company better to go Home Depot buy sprays.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

First I will say my exterminator is great. He’s friendly, polite, explains everything to me. With that being said, he has been out to my home 3 times since end of Sept 2018 to treat for cockroaches and I have been told every time give it about a week you shouldn’t see anymore. All the bait traps are empty, and I am still finding cockroaches. I am now finding baby cockroaches throughout my entire bathroom. Today alone I have killed 15-20 of them and the last time Orkin came out he said this should take care of them once and for all...not! I have heard numerous times we aren’t infested, but I call **. If they can breed with bait traps and poison gel out then someone is not doing what they are supposed to be doing properly. I have already paid quite a bit and very upset with the results. Again great serviceman, very poor company.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I had a bad experience with Orkin. I had scheduled my home spray for only one time. They came and sprayed my home for the agreed charges of $104. After one month I saw another charges for the similar amount in my credit card statement then I called them. They said that, "We have sent you a technician to inspect home and he did it." I said, "I have never seen your person come to my home. You should have called me for appointment then send your technician and he did not show up at all. We are always at home 24/7." Then I dispute the transaction through my bank but Orkin charge me for no services provided to me.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

To whom it may concern: Our experience with your company was terrible. We called to schedule an appointment to take care of yellow jackets issue that we had. My husband took a day off work for set appointment. About 30 minutes before the end of the appointment window we get a call stating that the tech will not be able to make it. We called the office and things got rearranged and technician came out. He treated the area and it turned out that the bees made a beehive in the wall which Orkin will remove when they arrive for the follow up appointment. The office called next day and scheduled the appointment for Saturday between 9 am-12pm that week. Around 11:55 am we called the office to check when the tech would arrive. We were told that there is someone to scheduled and the office has absolutely no way of getting in touch with the tech. Which was surprising since it's 2018 and everyone has a cell phone.

Around 4 pm that day we received a call from a tech stating that he was held up on a job and will be arriving shortly. He arrived checked the wall to see if there is no buzzing sound anymore. When asked about removing the hive he said that Orkin doesn’t do that and said that he has to get home to work on his Harley. We were a little taken back by his response as we paid for the service and were expecting to have a professional remove the beehive instead of us. Our experience with Orkin was less than 1 star – between the lack of assistance from the office to a tech that did not want to be bothered by his job. Needless to say I will not recommend Orkin nor will I be using them in the future.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I live in Little Rock, AR and every other month, I have a scheduling problem. 2 months ago I was on the schedule, never received a call. Friday I got an automated call that I was schedule for today between 12 and 2 pm. I called, talked to a clerk and rescheduled for 8-10 am due to my work schedule. No one showed up today. When I called at 1015 to see what happened, the clerk said, "Oh yes, I remember talking to you Friday." She searched something and then said, "The tech must have been overloaded." I have been with this company 2 years and when I had a regular tech, there was never a scheduling problem. I understand they are understaffed but we have all month to schedule this right!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Now other sick. They guaranteed me that it would be safe. My cat died and now I have to treat my other animals that are also sick. Anyone else had issue like this? Or a lawyer who can help me in this?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I initially set up a recurring payment upon hiring the service and they have continued to charge me additional money outside of the agreement putting my bank account negative, they reimburse the money but never any charge incurred from the bank because they billed when they were not suppose to. The policy of ORKIN is to not refund charges incurred by the bank even if it is because they are not billing correctly. Only a company that continues to bill without permission would have this type of policy in place. I went to ORKIN from Terminix, they make Terminix look like the cream of the crop. They have also billed me for service that was never completed and I know very well that they have not because my gate is not operable and have never attempted to contact me to get in the yard.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Warning: Do not use this service! If you need pest control, there are several other options that are much better. I was a loyal customer for many years even though it was difficult to see that they made any difference. After I stopped service for a brief period, they charged me $250 for one visit. They typically show up for 5-10 minutes and charge over $100 each time. Another expert came and showed me all of the things that Orkin missed. Poor service and no loyalty.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

First appt was on schedule. But thereafter they come late or not at all. But the minute I overlooked my last contract payment they dropped/cancelled my account and request that I start new contract with an initial down payment and every other month payments. They are less expensive than most competitors but not $WORTH$ the money invested not to mention their arrogant customer service.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Made a appointment at 7 am for Saturday 8/18 to remove wasps as my wife is has a very bad reaction from the sting of one. They said they would be here between 12 noon and 3 pm. No show. When I called they told me it was for the 23rd. Although the app. was made before 2 pm, for same day service according to their website she told me she could not get ahold of any tech as they all left by noon. So I was left to Monday to find another co. to do it right away. I waited for them and my Saturday and my wife's health at risk now till Monday. Thank you so much Orkin. Do not bother with them.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I had a late afternoon appointment. Waited home. The manager said he would come with his technician to take down wasps nests & go into my attic to see if there was an ant nest. The technician kept saying via text "he is with another client, last stop." They never even showed up. They led me to believe they would be here. I am very disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Kyle visits our company here in Honolulu on a regular basis and we told him about a problem we had with bugs swarming. He went above and beyond to solve the problem by trying a couple methods of getting the situation under control and came up with a solution that worked. Mahalo Kyle for not giving up.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I hired Orkin about 2 months ago to treat my yard for moles. They charged $650.00 for 4 treatments. After 3 the technician said they were gone but you get 30 days guarantee. After a week I saw more mole trails and they reluctantly came back for 4th treatment. Well my 30 days are up and my yard is now again filled with mole mounds and trails. This treatment is a complete waste of money. Each time they came out they were here for maybe 10 minutes at the most. I don't see how they stay in business.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I would never recommend Orkin, first they don't tell you that they just go 3 ft from your house, after that they charge more. Next they don't spray for everything, I have earwigs and ants, guess what? Still have them each on then I would call telling them that they are still in my house. One lady said I would be charged again. Another month a lady said that I would have a technician at my house the following week at no charge. Well guess what? No one showed up, surprise. This Orkin is a big joke, been with them for almost 3 months and it's horrible, customer service knows that I can't have my cellphone on me due to my job to email me so I have someone at my house and NO they still freaking call me. Do you not put notes in the computer because each and every time I call you guys I tell you that I can't be reached at my job by phone to email me. I hate this place and now I am stuck in a contract and still have ants and earwigs.

Original review: July 26, 2018

He did not treat the whole house for roaches. Whenever you're treating for roaches you need to do the whole house not just two or three little bitty spots with gel on the hinges. Didn't address my other bug issues. I'm still having bugs crawl out my cabinet when I open it up get my glasses. He didn't move anything. He just open the doors and says, "Oh looks like you caught it early enough." He put out a few treat sticky traps and I paid and I'm not happy. Tap that one so you some money go to the store get you some sticky traps.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Orkin Broward County Florida - Took them 2 months after inspection to actually schedule a termite treatment although there were active termites on the property, new residue appearing daily, & swarming every night. When you call the office, often you get a recording asking that you leave a message, no one EVER calls back. The staff, when they do answer the phone, tend at times to be rude and impatient. They finally scheduled the tenting after multiple persistent phone calls from me and my insistence that they do so. I was told it would be done on a Friday. When mid day rolled around and still no tent, I was lied to by the office staff and told it would be up by 6:00 PM. The tent was NEVER PUT UP. Multiple calls to the 'emergency' number were never returned. Finally through some ingenuity of my own I managed to find out that it had been rescheduled for the following day. NO ONE EVER BOTHERED TO TELL ME!

I will give credit where it is due. The gentleman in charge who actually managed the procedure was polite and professional. But the lack of communication and the stress the whole experience caused me, along with the complete lack of concern for the customer are inexcusable. My impression is that, since we had been paying yearly for a guarantee, they had our money and were in no hurry to take care of us, as we were not new business. From beginning to end, very unprofessional and terrible customer service.

Orkin expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Orkin is one of the most popular and largest pest control companies in the world. The company serves businesses and residential property owners both across the country and internationally.

• Company reputation: Orkin is known as one of the leading experts in pest control. The company is more than 113 years old.

• Variety of services: Orkin offers a variety of pest control services, including termites, bed bugs, rodents, ants, roaches, spiders, scorpions, bees, ticks, mosquitoes, and more.

• Location of company: Orkin has locations across the world, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, Central America, South America, the Middle East, Asia, the Mediterranean, Africa, the Caribbean, and Australia, so it’s a convenient option for customers across the world.

• Service: Because Orkin exists across the world, it’s hard to depend on consistent customer service. Representatives from location to location may differ due to different regional challenges, different managers, etc.

• Scheduling: Customers who need quick service from Orkin may experience delays and long wait times when trying to book an appointment.

• Best for: Landlords of large residential buildings, single-family homeowners, apartment & condo owners, commercial property owners

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs