Orkin Pest Control
3.28/5

Looking for a pest control company?

Orkin Pest Control

519 Orkin Pest Control Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 12, 2019

When called Orkin about bed bug problem. The guy came to talk to us, told us it would be $2100.00. And we could do a PAYMENT plan. Said we had a deposit of $501.61, which I paid. The man told us that our monthly payments would be $60 a month. When they treated, they didn't even treat the whole house and we still find one once in a while. But they can't do anything. When finally got Bill they wanted the whole amount up front. Called and talked to them many times. Last said they will call you back, they never did. I called again got told we had to pay 161.70 a month which wasn't what we were told. And are Bill was 1727.77. Meaning for 12 payments, they're making an extra $212.63 off us. Plus they totally lied to my face about are PAYMENT amount... which is wrong. I'm disabled. I can't afford that PAYMENT. They're cheats and liars, plus they do a horrible job. Still can't get anyone to return our phone calls.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I signed up for insect control via my apartment's management. The technician came one day late, so I was already a little disappointed. I had some questions about the pesticide application, and the technician answered them. But after finishing, he overheard me explaining the process to my relative, and he started being hostile. He made a mockery of my formal training (which is in the sciences).

To make things worse, the apartment staff seemed to agree with the technician, who wrongly suggested that I instigated the incident. As I stated earlier, I was talking to my relative, not him. He should have left after doing his job. Belittling my knowledge was unnecessary. This experience has eroded any trust that I have with the idea of professionalism, because the concept is apparently a myth in this increasingly toxic world.

Get expert buying tips about Pest Control delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Do not trust these people. They insist their products are pet safe but that is an outright lie, especially since their techs do not know how to follow instructions, can they even read? They treated our apartment without our permission and sprayed this poison with my sweet curious boy right there! We had told the apartment management not to EVER treat our home with pesticides and not to enter without our presence. They ignored our instructions. It sure seems that the Orkin tech snuck in after we left to go out to dinner, we did not realize they had treated our apartment until our cat got gravely ill with pancreatitis weeks later, he stopped eating.

Beware, it may not show up right away but it damages their organs, caused eventual kidney failure. So, thanks to the incompetence of both the apartment management and the Orkin death squad our move to our new home we were building became a struggle to keep our boy alive, always knowing that he had been handed a death sentence by these criminals. We could only love and support him until the end - 2 years later. Our home feels utterly empty without his joyful presence, he was such a gift.

I am livid about this, it has changed our lives forever. We need to pass laws that prevent these companies from invading our homes and killing our precious pets. There were no bugs to kill, I asked the jerk that sprayed the poison, "Why didn’t you use some common sense and leave when you saw my cat there," he said “don’t pull the common sense card on me” and HUNG UP ON ME! So, I assume he had been asked that before and did not want to be faced with the consequences of his actions. They are aware that they are killing our pets, they just DON’T CARE! I am waiting for Universal Justice to take its course and yes, I am helping it along in any way I can, they need to feel some pain, my little boy sure did and now I have to live with this pain, until I can join him in heaven. BEWARE!

Original review: March 16, 2019

Orkin treated bed bugs in my home. I paid them $2,100.00 for the whole home treatment (as they do not do a one room only treatment because they can’t guarantee the bed bugs will not run to other rooms. This costing more money in the long run). The Tech explained to me that I had the option of a one time treatment, which is only guaranteed for 30 days, or I had the option to add 1 year monthly follow ups, thus providing me a one year guarantee in case bed bugs ever return. Treatment was great and they followed up in 7 days to make sure bed bugs were gone and followed up Monthly after that. The Tech took the time to educate me about bed bugs and how easy it is for ANYONE (even myself) to come into my home and unknowingly have bed bug eggs or the adult bed bugs on their clothing, thus infesting my home again.

I’m so glad I chose to have the monthly follow up inspections/treatment for a whole year because I had out of town company who actually brought bed bugs back into my home again. Orkin was great... they sent the Tech out to treat my home again and since then I’ve had not other problems. It is definitely worth the money to have a one year added guarantee.

After all, it’s better to be proactive than reactive. My experience with Orkin was a great one and life saver. They never hesitated and sent the tech out right away to take care of the bed bug re-infestation problem. My experience has been WONDERFUL! And I will recommend Orkin to everyone. They stick by their word, are honest, and as a customer I can’t thank them enough! I rate them 5 stars (would rate them a 10 - but 10 is not available) as compared to any other pest control company. I will never use anyone other than Orkin for any of my pest control needs. Thank you Orkin for a job well done!

Original review: March 1, 2019

I have been a loyal customer for over 30 years, that is until 2-28-2019. My service was provided from Orkin located at 2640 E 84th Place, Merrillville IN 46410-6424. Being a senior citizen there are times when our funds run a little short. Yes my bill is 90 days past due (3rd time in 30 years). Called your office and stated I will pay the $169.00 in full on March 13, 2019. The secretary was totally disrespectful and absolutely no help blaming Corporate for cancelling the service. Final word THANK YOU AND GOODBYE ORKIN. HELLO TERMINIX.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orkin?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I really don't write reviews but I want other consumers in the market for pest control. DON'T BOTHER WITH THIS COMPANY. I have a duplex with 2 different entries. Had treatment for ants on September 2018 which I paid with my card. They then came back out in November only servicing the 1st floor with no notice or communication with me of this appointment. I got a bill in the mail and I called customer services questioning the bill. They said they came out and service the home. I explained that this is a duplex and that I wasn’t going to pay for full service if I wasn’t getting it and I wanted to cancel.

I didn’t hear anything back from them until today and it was a credit collector. I told her that I didn’t have a problem paying half the bill because that’s all I got was half the service. She was so rude to me and very accusatory to me and said there was nothing that she can do. I don’t know how long I was on the phone with her trying to explain to her that I didn’t want their services and that there was something that they can do about the bill. Anyway long story short, she said that she would call me back and a few hours later I have not heard from them. This company is a ripoff. My ant problem never went away with their products but I did manage to gain control with home remedies. Think before you use their services.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I call Orkin to see what their prices were like in comparison to Terminix. I told the Orkin rep. that "I will get back to you if I choose your service". From the moment I hung up the phone I received numerous texts, calls and emails from several representatives, not for 1 day but several days. I was being abused by them taking my time to check emails, text and calls. I had enough, I called and spoke to the manager, it still continued. I had to go so far as to state "I WILL REPORT YOU FOR HARASSMENT IF THIS DOES NOT STOP IMMEDIATELY". Their prices are much higher than Terminix, and Terminix respected me and allowed me to contact them. I forgot to mention this, I told Orkin they were calling my place of business, but they were so inconsiderate of me as a possible customer. They did not care.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I spoke in customer service regarding my service. I explained everything that I don't need service anymore. The service guy who visit last I told him too that this is last. I don't need service after that and he said ok. He didn't told me that you have to call for cancelation but still they charged me for the service which I don't get. The lady whom I talked to phone is apathetic and rude.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I really don't write reviews but I want other consumers in the market for pest control. DON'T BOTHER WITH THIS COMPANY. Either the techs that come out have no clue about any of the products they're using or they just don't show up. We are scheduled for a monthly service at my business and every month and 1/2 I'm calling them to remind them. Crazy so I cut my losses and made the phone call to another pest control company. Don't waste your money or time with this company. If I could have left no stars I would have.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Tech was not knowledgeable, cocky & disrespectful. Young & inexperienced. Waited a week for service & when he finally did get here; he was late. Explained nothing & not thorough. I still have insect issue.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

In Florida we need termite control. I had Orkin come out and they drilled holes around my house to put the termite liquid into the ground. They said PET SAFE but really anything that kills bugs is not safe! The holes they drilled in between concrete slabs were covered with a concrete patch which just blew away. My Service Dog liked to lie at the end of the garage as he could view most of the farm. Orkin came out twice to see this patch job but they didn't do anything. A few months after the service my service dog became ill and within 4 days he passed away. Now tell me this is pet safe!

They pulled up weed control fabric next to the house and still they have not put it back. They covered some spots with grass clipping. I am paying them a lot of money and now I have lost my service dog who helped me walk and balance and I still have open holes. What can I do? If I stop paying them it will ruin my credit rating. I can't do the physical work to fix the landscape fabric and what will happen to the mobility dog I am currently training?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I live in Phila, I had Orkin come out for a mouse problem. They had me sign a contract for a whole year over one Thousand dollars. Said they could not solve the mouse problem. Had me pay another thousand dollars for something called a exclusion. The mouse problem is solved but they are still nailing a grand for the contract. My issue is why didn’t they tell me. They could of just did the exclusion to begin with. Now I am paying a thousand dollars extra for a problem that has been solved! What a scam!!! They do not make appts to come to your home. They just drop by then do not do the service because most of the time when they drop by I am in work. If you need pest control Do yourself a favor and call Terminix.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Orkin is a ripoff! I called them to kill the fleas in my home! They absolutely didn't! They came 3 times but only smelled chemicals the first time which didn't kill them! They came back twice afterwards and didn't do their job! Oh but you must pay them upfront before they do anything! I paid $200 for nothing!!! No they don't reimburse! Lousy! Kentucky.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Had treatment for spiders on 11/27/18. Got a bill a week later. Paid it the next day by mail, credit card. Today 12/18/18 get a "friendly reminder" (i.e. past due). Called Orkin to let them know the service was TWO weeks ago, I paid it the day after I got the first bill, and a snotty rude unprofessional lady told me it was late, I should have called to pay it and not mail it. I told her it wasn't past due. She went on and on that it should have been paid up front and had I done that it wouldn't be past due. I said I wasn't asked to pay that day - but paid in a week when I got a bill. She wanted to charge it then and now, I said no since I just sent in the info to charge my account. I didn't want to be double charged (will watch my credit card closely). She was so rude to me and very accusatory to me. Bad experience and crappy customer service from Orkin staff. Won't use them again!!! Too many other companies that do just as good!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

My nephew's room had bed bugs. I paid $1500 for Orkin to spray in June 2018. In less that 3 months we noticed the bed bugs didn’t die. They just migrated to the next room. A total waste. So now I’m out of $1500 and will probably have to purchase a new bed.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

My initial service began in the Spring of 2018 and I signed up for the mosquito and crawling bugs service for the exterior of my home, including front and backyard. Upon the assessment of the backyard and the fact that I didn't have any trees within my yard, the agent sprayed the grass and stated that I wouldn't need the service package, so I can cancel it and the would be only $50 for that day. I did so but was then charged another $85 for the balance of the service. I called customer service throughout the summer requesting a credit and they stated they saw in the system exactly what I said and would take care of it.

Firstly, I never signed up for auto billing on the card that I provided for the service for the initial service. I stated that they can invoice for services. So they took it upon themselves to charge my card for a service that I had already cancelled. Secondly, I had to call them back several times after that to rectify the matter and it never happened. Until the next situation arose when the agent came for the October service for the package that I did keep for crawling bugs. I wasn't home and so he didn't have access but he commenced to walk around one side of the house and the front, which was all he could access but charged me for the full service. I saw him on my cameras and that on top of the other situation made me determine to cancel the package. I was not going to leave it to chance so I then changed my credit card number as well. THIS IS A SHADY COMPANY!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

So many bad reviews and I will tell you why. The main reason is people are either impatient or have no money. They took less than 5 minutes. Problem solved. I have seen a decrease in just 4 hours. I live in apartment so I pretty much need them to come back often. Signed the longest contract for the cheapest price. Cancel anytime if needed. No fees. I just resign up if I need it again! Thanks for getting rid of the problem.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I ordered to remove bed bug in my house, they charge me $1025.00 for inspection and treatment. But the bed bugs didn’t gone. I called them back and told them still I have a problem, but they said I have to pay $95.00 for treatment because it is more than 1 month. They took my money for nothing. I will advise for people instead of calling this company better to go Home Depot buy sprays.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

First I will say my exterminator is great. He’s friendly, polite, explains everything to me. With that being said, he has been out to my home 3 times since end of Sept 2018 to treat for cockroaches and I have been told every time give it about a week you shouldn’t see anymore. All the bait traps are empty, and I am still finding cockroaches. I am now finding baby cockroaches throughout my entire bathroom. Today alone I have killed 15-20 of them and the last time Orkin came out he said this should take care of them once and for all...not! I have heard numerous times we aren’t infested, but I call **. If they can breed with bait traps and poison gel out then someone is not doing what they are supposed to be doing properly. I have already paid quite a bit and very upset with the results. Again great serviceman, very poor company.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I had a bad experience with Orkin. I had scheduled my home spray for only one time. They came and sprayed my home for the agreed charges of $104. After one month I saw another charges for the similar amount in my credit card statement then I called them. They said that, "We have sent you a technician to inspect home and he did it." I said, "I have never seen your person come to my home. You should have called me for appointment then send your technician and he did not show up at all. We are always at home 24/7." Then I dispute the transaction through my bank but Orkin charge me for no services provided to me.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

To whom it may concern: Our experience with your company was terrible. We called to schedule an appointment to take care of yellow jackets issue that we had. My husband took a day off work for set appointment. About 30 minutes before the end of the appointment window we get a call stating that the tech will not be able to make it. We called the office and things got rearranged and technician came out. He treated the area and it turned out that the bees made a beehive in the wall which Orkin will remove when they arrive for the follow up appointment. The office called next day and scheduled the appointment for Saturday between 9 am-12pm that week. Around 11:55 am we called the office to check when the tech would arrive. We were told that there is someone to scheduled and the office has absolutely no way of getting in touch with the tech. Which was surprising since it's 2018 and everyone has a cell phone.

Around 4 pm that day we received a call from a tech stating that he was held up on a job and will be arriving shortly. He arrived checked the wall to see if there is no buzzing sound anymore. When asked about removing the hive he said that Orkin doesn’t do that and said that he has to get home to work on his Harley. We were a little taken back by his response as we paid for the service and were expecting to have a professional remove the beehive instead of us. Our experience with Orkin was less than 1 star – between the lack of assistance from the office to a tech that did not want to be bothered by his job. Needless to say I will not recommend Orkin nor will I be using them in the future.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I live in Little Rock, AR and every other month, I have a scheduling problem. 2 months ago I was on the schedule, never received a call. Friday I got an automated call that I was schedule for today between 12 and 2 pm. I called, talked to a clerk and rescheduled for 8-10 am due to my work schedule. No one showed up today. When I called at 1015 to see what happened, the clerk said, "Oh yes, I remember talking to you Friday." She searched something and then said, "The tech must have been overloaded." I have been with this company 2 years and when I had a regular tech, there was never a scheduling problem. I understand they are understaffed but we have all month to schedule this right!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Now other sick. They guaranteed me that it would be safe. My cat died and now I have to treat my other animals that are also sick. Anyone else had issue like this? Or a lawyer who can help me in this?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I initially set up a recurring payment upon hiring the service and they have continued to charge me additional money outside of the agreement putting my bank account negative, they reimburse the money but never any charge incurred from the bank because they billed when they were not suppose to. The policy of ORKIN is to not refund charges incurred by the bank even if it is because they are not billing correctly. Only a company that continues to bill without permission would have this type of policy in place. I went to ORKIN from Terminix, they make Terminix look like the cream of the crop. They have also billed me for service that was never completed and I know very well that they have not because my gate is not operable and have never attempted to contact me to get in the yard.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Warning: Do not use this service! If you need pest control, there are several other options that are much better. I was a loyal customer for many years even though it was difficult to see that they made any difference. After I stopped service for a brief period, they charged me $250 for one visit. They typically show up for 5-10 minutes and charge over $100 each time. Another expert came and showed me all of the things that Orkin missed. Poor service and no loyalty.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

First appt was on schedule. But thereafter they come late or not at all. But the minute I overlooked my last contract payment they dropped/cancelled my account and request that I start new contract with an initial down payment and every other month payments. They are less expensive than most competitors but not $WORTH$ the money invested not to mention their arrogant customer service.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Made a appointment at 7 am for Saturday 8/18 to remove wasps as my wife is has a very bad reaction from the sting of one. They said they would be here between 12 noon and 3 pm. No show. When I called they told me it was for the 23rd. Although the app. was made before 2 pm, for same day service according to their website she told me she could not get ahold of any tech as they all left by noon. So I was left to Monday to find another co. to do it right away. I waited for them and my Saturday and my wife's health at risk now till Monday. Thank you so much Orkin. Do not bother with them.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I had a late afternoon appointment. Waited home. The manager said he would come with his technician to take down wasps nests & go into my attic to see if there was an ant nest. The technician kept saying via text "he is with another client, last stop." They never even showed up. They led me to believe they would be here. I am very disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Kyle visits our company here in Honolulu on a regular basis and we told him about a problem we had with bugs swarming. He went above and beyond to solve the problem by trying a couple methods of getting the situation under control and came up with a solution that worked. Mahalo Kyle for not giving up.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I hired Orkin about 2 months ago to treat my yard for moles. They charged $650.00 for 4 treatments. After 3 the technician said they were gone but you get 30 days guarantee. After a week I saw more mole trails and they reluctantly came back for 4th treatment. Well my 30 days are up and my yard is now again filled with mole mounds and trails. This treatment is a complete waste of money. Each time they came out they were here for maybe 10 minutes at the most. I don't see how they stay in business.

Orkin expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Orkin is one of the most popular and largest pest control companies in the world. The company serves businesses and residential property owners both across the country and internationally.

• Company reputation: Orkin is known as one of the leading experts in pest control. The company is more than 113 years old.

• Variety of services: Orkin offers a variety of pest control services, including termites, bed bugs, rodents, ants, roaches, spiders, scorpions, bees, ticks, mosquitoes, and more.

• Location of company: Orkin has locations across the world, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, Central America, South America, the Middle East, Asia, the Mediterranean, Africa, the Caribbean, and Australia, so it’s a convenient option for customers across the world.

• Service: Because Orkin exists across the world, it’s hard to depend on consistent customer service. Representatives from location to location may differ due to different regional challenges, different managers, etc.

• Scheduling: Customers who need quick service from Orkin may experience delays and long wait times when trying to book an appointment.

• Best for: Landlords of large residential buildings, single-family homeowners, apartment & condo owners, commercial property owners

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs