Orkin Pest Control
1.75/5
Based on 49 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a pest control company?

Orkin Pest Control

493 Orkin Pest Control Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Made a appointment at 7 am for Saturday 8/18 to remove wasps as my wife is has a very bad reaction from the sting of one. They said they would be here between 12 noon and 3 pm. No show. When I called they told me it was for the 23rd. Although the app. was made before 2 pm, for same day service according to their website she told me she could not get ahold of any tech as they all left by noon. So I was left to Monday to find another co. to do it right away. I waited for them and my Saturday and my wife's health at risk now till Monday. Thank you so much Orkin. Do not bother with them.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I had a late afternoon appointment. Waited home. The manager said he would come with his technician to take down wasps nests & go into my attic to see if there was an ant nest. The technician kept saying via text "he is with another client, last stop." They never even showed up. They led me to believe they would be here. I am very disappointed.

Get expert buying tips about Pest Control delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Kyle visits our company here in Honolulu on a regular basis and we told him about a problem we had with bugs swarming. He went above and beyond to solve the problem by trying a couple methods of getting the situation under control and came up with a solution that worked. Mahalo Kyle for not giving up.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I hired Orkin about 2 months ago to treat my yard for moles. They charged $650.00 for 4 treatments. After 3 the technician said they were gone but you get 30 days guarantee. After a week I saw more mole trails and they reluctantly came back for 4th treatment. Well my 30 days are up and my yard is now again filled with mole mounds and trails. This treatment is a complete waste of money. Each time they came out they were here for maybe 10 minutes at the most. I don't see how they stay in business.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I would never recommend Orkin, first they don't tell you that they just go 3 ft from your house, after that they charge more. Next they don't spray for everything, I have earwigs and ants, guess what? Still have them each on then I would call telling them that they are still in my house. One lady said I would be charged again. Another month a lady said that I would have a technician at my house the following week at no charge. Well guess what? No one showed up, surprise. This Orkin is a big joke, been with them for almost 3 months and it's horrible, customer service knows that I can't have my cellphone on me due to my job to email me so I have someone at my house and NO they still freaking call me. Do you not put notes in the computer because each and every time I call you guys I tell you that I can't be reached at my job by phone to email me. I hate this place and now I am stuck in a contract and still have ants and earwigs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orkin?

Original review: July 26, 2018

He did not treat the whole house for roaches. Whenever you're treating for roaches you need to do the whole house not just two or three little bitty spots with gel on the hinges. Didn't address my other bug issues. I'm still having bugs crawl out my cabinet when I open it up get my glasses. He didn't move anything. He just open the doors and says, "Oh looks like you caught it early enough." He put out a few treat sticky traps and I paid and I'm not happy. Tap that one so you some money go to the store get you some sticky traps.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Orkin Broward County Florida - Took them 2 months after inspection to actually schedule a termite treatment although there were active termites on the property, new residue appearing daily, & swarming every night. When you call the office, often you get a recording asking that you leave a message, no one EVER calls back. The staff, when they do answer the phone, tend at times to be rude and impatient. They finally scheduled the tenting after multiple persistent phone calls from me and my insistence that they do so. I was told it would be done on a Friday. When mid day rolled around and still no tent, I was lied to by the office staff and told it would be up by 6:00 PM. The tent was NEVER PUT UP. Multiple calls to the 'emergency' number were never returned. Finally through some ingenuity of my own I managed to find out that it had been rescheduled for the following day. NO ONE EVER BOTHERED TO TELL ME!

I will give credit where it is due. The gentleman in charge who actually managed the procedure was polite and professional. But the lack of communication and the stress the whole experience caused me, along with the complete lack of concern for the customer are inexcusable. My impression is that, since we had been paying yearly for a guarantee, they had our money and were in no hurry to take care of us, as we were not new business. From beginning to end, very unprofessional and terrible customer service.

Original review: July 26, 2018

After two and a half years of paying Orkin for pest control we STILL HAVE BUGS. Just sat down after dinner right on the arm of my couch is the biggest cockroach I had ever seen. I jumped up off the couch killed the cockroach. They NEVER quite go away even after paying Orkin for 2.5 years! Orkin DIDN'T get the job done. IF YOU WANT TO "THROW YOUR MONEY AWAY AND HAVE BUGS" get Orkin!

Original review: July 13, 2018

My family had worked with Orkin previously for years, but we recently had a bed bug problem and called them in and had a TERRIBLE experience. Based on the inspection alone which you had to pay for ($95) I never want to use Orkin again. Upon entering the home he told us what bed bugs were (...I called and told them we knew we had bed bugs because we have had previous experience, but you must pay for the inspection, and it seems that there was no communication on our specific situation between person I talked to on the phone and the guy that came to our house).

The guy wouldn't tell us how bad the infestation was at all, and basically used fear tactics to try to get us to buy the heat treatment on the spot ("by now they're under all the carpets, and in every crevice, you want to get the treatment as soon as possible"). When I asked questions about a chemical treatment on the one room we personally had seen them in, he wouldn't answer me on if they even did chemical treatments, and changed the subject. He was extremely condescending in explaining what bed bugs were and how to get them fixed.

We called Terminix the next day and they have FREE inspections, the guy that came to our house was extremely knowledgeable about the subject and talked us through the problem for an hour versus the Orkin guy staying for 30 minutes avoiding questions. Terminix is more expensive for a heat treatment but I think it's extremely worth it if you can afford a few extra hundred dollars.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I called Orkin last year to get rid of roaches. I had fought them for years and even though I had thought I had won the battle, I then got neighbors from hell. Once the people moved and their water was shut off, I noticed the hoard of bugs showing up in my house. I was just tired of fighting them. Orkin came within the week. He looked around and started to work. No chemical smells and no stains. Every cabinet, drawer, crack and crevice was sprayed. He put down sticky traps and small bait thing.

He then sprayed outside all the way around my house. He explained that it would be about 2 weeks before I seen a big difference. He was so right. I did sign for 1 year so he comes every 2 months. I only pay $77 a visit. Haven't had any bugs since a month after the first visit but would recommend this company every time. I don't remember the man's name but he is always the same guy. He is elderly and probably the smartest person I know when it comes to extermination.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Nathan is my technician, and he is always a joy. He texts me the day before to confirm my appointment, changing his schedule to match mine as needed. He treats my home and me with respect, always telling me what he's doing and what he found during his inspections. He frequently goes above and beyond - he brought in a UPS package on my last visit without me asking him to! Great job, Nathan!

Original review: June 18, 2018

I chose Orkin for a pest issue at my house we just bought. Orkin beat the price a competitor offered so of course I went with them as I knew this would be an ongoing issue requiring Orkin to come out often. First appointment was great, the technician was on time and thorough. After 10 days we still had an issue and asked for them to come out and spray again which you get free during the monthly spray time period. I called our local office, made the appointment for as soon as possible, the day of the appointment no one shows up. I never received a call when they decided to cancel that appointment and they reschedule to whatever date they chose. I only found out when checking my online account and I saw the date was changed.

I called the local office, and I’m told the tech is on vacation and she gives me a new date for scheduling. We had to wait three weeks from the first appointment to get an emergency appointment set up, by this point the second appointment falls into the new month as a regular visit. Today the tech was scheduled from 12-2 pm, it’s 3:30 pm and my husband has yet to see him. He called the local office and had to leave a message and has yet to hear back. The communication with customer service is not good, and to cancel a set appointment and reschedule without calling the customer from the start is so rude. People take time off work and rearrange their daily lives to be at home to meet the technician and then no one shows up. I should have paid more money and stayed with the competitor (Terminix), they were always on time, had thorough communication, and did many follow ups.

Original review: June 15, 2018

When a pest control company came to my door and offered me a lower price for a better service I called Orkin while they were standing at my door. The lady I talked to offered to match their price and I told her no thanks as I decided to go with this other company. I told her I wanted to cancel and she said she took care of it. She insisted there was no further action required by me. Then I noticed almost a year later I’m still being charged quarterly for their service which means I’ve been paying for 2 services for almost a year when Orkin was supposed to be canceled! When I called to talk to a manager he was condescending and said that they keep record of everything and there was no record that I ever canceled, essentially calling me a liar.

I told him it made no logical sense to have 2 services come for the same thing and pay double. Then he proceeded to tell me how much money it costs them to do the service as if I care since it was a mistake on their part. I made them send me an email confirmation for canceling my service today since the first lady failed to do it. I’m beyond livid at this point! $500 our of my pocket for a service they didn’t cancel and I didn’t need and didn’t even TRY to make it right. Pretty much just blamed me. I will never do business with them again.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Terrible. The people on the phone were just plain stupid then the person they sent out here showed up with his zipper down. He was rude and did not understand english. This company and the people that work for this company should all be fired. They need someone to manage them. Horrible company. Horrible people.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I originally called Orkin for a flea problem in my house about a year ago and I have to say they took care of it and I have not had a problem since, which is the only reason they get 2 stars. As far as their customer service staff and scheduling goes, they are terrible. Many times they get the appointment time wrong. When I am called to confirm my appointment and I ask to reschedule it, they huff and puff and are rude like it's hurting them to do their job. I don't appreciate the bad attitudes. I feel like the communication between the customer service staff and technicians is very poor which is probably why the techs show up at my house at the wrong time/day. The next time I have a pest problem I will not be calling Orkin Pest Control.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Called Orkin on Tuesday. They set appointment for Wednesday then called and changed it to Thursday morning then called and changed it to Thursday afternoon and didn’t show up until after appointment time after I left for work. I called them twice today and they promised to call back right away and 2 hours later (after the second call) I still haven’t heard from them!! NICE WAY TO DO BUSINESS!!

Original review: May 6, 2018

Been having an issue with water bugs. Orkin came out and sprayed on 4/16 and the tech did a rush job. I had problems again on 5/6, so their solution lasted all of 20 days before the problem resurfaced. I'm going back to Ehrlich because I would get at least 2.5 to 3 months of relief from their services.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I sign an original contract with Orkin on 2/3/2018 for 6 months. The cost was $298.32. I had 3 visits to control mice in my house. So far this was successful. My problem is that Orkin has used my credit information to bill me an additional $145.89 on March 5th 2018 without my authority. I am definitely not happy.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Orkin came to my home two weeks ago last Friday to do a Spring maintenance treatment. The man who arrived was told what past issues that we had experienced with insects and where the problem areas in our house were located. I showed him our crawl space under the house and told him that the floor was unfinished concrete and he would probably need knee pads. He took one look inside the crawl and announced that he was too large to get in there, even though I am as large as he is and I have been in there numerous times in the past. He informed me that he would have another (smaller) tech stop out the following Monday to treat the crawl space. I waited all day Monday and no tech called or showed up at my home. I attempted to call the nearest Orkin dealer in Alsip, Illinois to find out why no one had shown up. I got a recording informing me to leave my name and phone number and they would contact me.

I waited until Thursday and still no call. My wife finally contacted them on Friday of last week and they informed her that a tech would be at our home between 8am-10am on Tuesday (yesterday). I waited until 10:30am and no tech had yet arrived. I contacted Orkin's corporate office in Atlanta to complain. They advised that they had contacted the Orkin office in Alsip and that I would receive a phone call later that day.

That afternoon, I received a phone call from an Orkin tech who informed me that he had been scheduled to come to my home between 8am-10am that day but somehow forgot. He promised that he would come to my home today (Wednesday) between 8am-9am to finish the job that the first tech failed to do. Besides being undependable, Orkin, at least in The Alsip office, is virtually impossible to speak with a live person during normal business hours. I have always been met with a recorded message and then left to wonder if I will get a response to my concerns, such as this one. Orkin did, however, take the service charge out of our checking account without delay even though they didn't finish the job. I am very unhappy with their lack of service.

Updated 06/22/2018: First of all, see the review that I posted on April 25th of this year for background on my experiences with Orkin. Last Monday, I had an appointment for an Orkin tech to come to our house for a Spring treatment both inside and outside our house. The appointment was set for between 9am-11am. I waited until 11:30 am and no tech called or showed up. I had a prior appointment on the previous Friday between 5pm-7pm that was cancelled by the tech when he called my home @ 4:45 pm on Friday, informing me that he was ill and made the new appointment for the following Monday.

I contacted Orkin customer support to complain and a tech came out on Wednesday morning and did the treatment. I had been previously informed by the manager of Orkin in Alsip, Illinois that this treatment would be free because of the past scheduling issues. My wife informed me Wednesday afternoon that we were charged $20 for the service and Orkin e-mailed me a statement verifying this fact. I am beyond angry at this point. Orkin has proved themselves to be unreliable and untrustworthy and now I wonder if they did a good job in applying treatments to control our pest issues. My faith in them is rock bottom at this point and I certainly won't be recommending them.

Original review: April 2, 2018

We called this company to eradicate our bedbug problem since Dec. 2017. 5 treatments $2K later it is now April 2nd 2018 and we are still finding bed bugs. We have laundered all the laundry in the house multiple times and have done everything the company has asked us to do to prevent spreading them throughout the house. I am very upset with them. I called them and demanded they come back and treat the house for free. They are agreeing to come back tomorrow. This better be the last time we have to have them come to the house. I feel like we've been scammed and I am not happy. Just be wary about calling these exterminator to your house. Remember pest control is a business not a hobby.

Original review: March 29, 2018

These fine people have been working in my home since Dec 2018 on a mouse invasion. They were here each time we called and made weekly trips to change traps and seal holes found. Today, we caught number 50. Yes, 50 of the little darlings who took up residence. I will forever be grateful to these wonderful folks at Augusta, GA Orkin. Only the best!

Original review: March 27, 2018

Joe came out for the first time 2 weeks ago. What an awesome person and customer service!!! Joe reassured us we were doing the right thing and that it wasn't as bad as we thought the cockroaches were. Did a follow up last week and advised things were looking better and we are headed in right direction!!! Thanks Joe. You are an awesome asset to Orkin. Wish all people had your customer skills.

Original review: March 21, 2018

My experience was a non-experience! I find Orkin too big a company to be bothered with potential customers. In order to come to inspect they give a 4 hour window and claim they will give a call 30 minutes before coming. It is a no non-sense take-it or leave-it condition and their customer service applies that rule to the letter. My question is why can't they agree on a time and keep it. Do they think (like bugs) we have nothing to do but to wait for them as if we are the bugs and they come to destroy us. No thank you! I am not interested in this kind of non-customer focused customer service. Good luck to this big company who will not be big for long with this kind of process to earn new customers.

Original review: March 21, 2018

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018, at 10:48 AM, I received a call from a Orkin representative named Rouel ** saying that he had me scheduled for an appointment for today. This is absolutely not true. I NEVER made an appointment with him for today. He actually left a message on my answering machine. I was home when he called but opted to ignore his call. Immediately after receiving his call, my intercom rang which I ignored since I was not expecting any visitors. Then within minutes, someone knocked at my door.

I suspected it was the Orkin rep due to the sequence of events. Then I heard him spraying something in front of my door. Mind you, the area he sprayed is a hallway which is a common area and has nothing to do with my apartment. The area he sprayed is maintained by building services. After he left the premises, I looked outside of my door and saw an unknown liquid on the floor. I took a picture of said liquid. Then as I was looking at my email account, I saw a bill from Orkin for $113.23 which I will be disputing with my credit card company since I never scheduled an appointment. This is absolutely unprofessional and I am filing this complaint for the reasons stated above. How dare I be charged for a service I never received.

I would like the actions of Rouel ** investigated. If he billed me, how many other people has he done this to. This is my second encounter with Rouel ** in which I have found his actions to be questionable. In December, 2017, I made an appointment for December 29, 2017, for a specific time but he came earlier than expected and insisted that was the time we had scheduled the appointment for.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

We use the in ground units. We have had great service but when it came to refinancing, they wouldn't fill out the form necessary causing me to have to pay for an inspection outside of the company I already pay for one. They claim it's a liability!! A liability from what? They are supposed to be protecting my home already. Sounds like fraud to me.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

The Orkin estimator showed up at my Mom's condo, yesterday morning, unannounced. He said the Orkin office received a call from Mom saying she had termites. She let him in and she complained about the ants that Orkin sprays for. He went into her bedroom and came out with a diagnosis of bedbugs! I have had experience with bedbugs, know what to look for etc. He was showing me DUST in the bed frame. He went out to his car, for something. Came back in and miraculously found a bed bug in a knothole in the bed frame slats! I knew right there he planted it. He scared my Mom to death.

She believed him and signed up for $1,300 in treatments. Only guaranteed for 30 days. He was all over the house, even the attic... drumming up business. My daughter and I tore the room apart last night. Steamed everything... No bedbugs. This conman told us, Mom was the third customer he had that morning. The other 2 customers got surprise visits. He claimed Orkin was called for groundhog and flea infestations. Really? He was just drumming up business... period. Fraud!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Extremely unprofessional, absolutely terrible customer service. I had called Orkin for an ant problem we were having, and on 3 different occasions, I spoke with different people from their call center. Each time I had them explain what the charges would be, and what they would cover. The first guy I spoke to was knowledgeable about pests, but was confusing explaining the pricing. Someone called me back later that day to offer me 10% off of what the first guy had quoted, and I told them I would speak to my partner about whether or not he wanted to go ahead with it. A 3rd person called back and since I wasn't sure about going ahead with the service, had this person explain the pricing also so that I was very clear on what to tell my partner about the cost. Each time I spoke with someone, they said that it would be one price for 7 visits throughout the year.

We have never had to call a pest control company before, so I had no idea what to even compare the pricing to. After I talked with my partner, he gave the go ahead. Scheduled someone to come out. A guy from their local office came out the day we had scheduled, and was super friendly and knowledgeable about pests. When he went to get started, he then explained a COMPLETELY different pricing system than what the previous 3 people had explained to me on the phone -- amounting to nearly $100 each time they were to visit, 7 times a year. That's right -- they wanted to charge almost $700/year to come out and treat (with product I later found you can buy online). There was no way we would be able to afford what this guy was now telling me, and he had no idea about the 10% off pricing they had told me on the phone.

I told him about the 3 people explaining the pricing very differently, and he said he would contact his manager and have him listen to the call transcripts, and they would get back to me. They never got back to me and never followed up at all. Someone a few days later called from the call center, asking why we hadn't gone through with the treatment, and I explained it all to him. He proceeded to ARGUE with me & talk over me, basically saying that I was trying to rip them off! I kept telling him someone needed to listen to those transcripts & they would hear exactly what I was telling him. He said they were going to listen to them right then, and get back to me. They never followed up at all and never got back to me. I strongly suspect they all listened to the transcripts (or maybe not) and decided that they just were not going to honor the pricing system that had been repeatedly explained to me.

Extremely unprofessional and terrible customer service, to not even call back having listened to the call recordings. Not only that, but we were able to take care of the ant problem ourselves, and for hundreds of dollars cheaper. I had heard bad things about Orkin in the past, about people paying for them to take care of bugs, charging an exorbitant amount, and the problem not going away, but I thought I'd try and take a chance with them. Never, ever again. I would not recommend them, simply for how awful their customer service and treatment of customers was on every possible level. Save your money, and buy stuff off of Amazon. You will be very glad you did and avoided this company.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I believe Orkin plays on the fears of the homeowner. They made specific promises and never followed through on any. They did not locate where the mice were getting in. As a matter of fact, they really never looked. They were supposed to come to empty traps - when called they wanted to schedule for days later. I found and plugged the openings. Their baits did not attract or catch any mice. Performed services outside that were not requested. Wish I had read these reviews before I signed a contract.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Paid 100 first visit. All they did was put down traps... Guy was in the house 20 minutes. Didn't do a thorough investigation at all. Sat in truck. Came back with a contract that last a year which I didn't know about. We sealed the home and did a great job in catching the bugs. Don't waste your time or money in hiring these losers. They make empty promises come out and do nothing.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I will never use this company again, they always came without calling, they stated they called but I never got any messages, they did the outside, I never set up for the inside and they charged me 124.00, and said I still had to pay for it... Very poor customer service, I will go with Ehrlich next time.

Not sure about Orkin Pest Control?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Pest Control for you.

Orkin expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Orkin is one of the most popular and largest pest control companies in the world. The company serves businesses and residential property owners both across the country and internationally.

• Company reputation: Orkin is known as one of the leading experts in pest control. The company is more than 113 years old.

• Variety of services: Orkin offers a variety of pest control services, including termites, bed bugs, rodents, ants, roaches, spiders, scorpions, bees, ticks, mosquitoes, and more.

• Location of company: Orkin has locations across the world, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, Central America, South America, the Middle East, Asia, the Mediterranean, Africa, the Caribbean, and Australia, so it’s a convenient option for customers across the world.

• Service: Because Orkin exists across the world, it’s hard to depend on consistent customer service. Representatives from location to location may differ due to different regional challenges, different managers, etc.

• Scheduling: Customers who need quick service from Orkin may experience delays and long wait times when trying to book an appointment.

• Best for: Landlords of large residential buildings, single-family homeowners, apartment & condo owners, commercial property owners

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Atlanta
    GA
    www.orkin.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business