Orkin Pest Control

Compare Pest Control Companies

Research top Pest Control Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I made an appointment. I was required to give them my credit card information to schedule the appointment, but then they never showed. I feel like they owe me for wasting my time. When I called to find out why no one showed up, I was told they had no idea and will have to wait until Monday morning when the branch opens back up. Now I am going to have to miss work just to have an exterminator check my house. Don't waste your time with a company that thinks nothing of wasting yours.

In October 2016 I requested them to do a 1 year service for roaches on one of my properties and after my 1st appt. while their tech was at the property he made harassing rude inappropriate remarks towards me, how my property looked. I called the local office, requested to speak with the manager and when he didn't call me back they billed me and when I refused to pay it and called him again and told him that he and his low life employee needed to stop leaving rude notes on my door and rude voicemails they continued to show up unannounced and even did treatments outside the property after I told them I didn't want their business.

Fast forward to yesterday. I caught his employee watching my house when I pulled into my driveway after work. He approached me and said they weren't going away and if I didn't allow them back onto the properties I had assigned for treatment that they would turn me in for unsafe environmental hazards. They can't be making false harassing allegations like this and bullying people once they have terminated the contract.

Orkin has protected this home for 58 years under the same contract!! Yes it is at an unbelievable price due to it never being cancelled. There is not a doubt in my mind of whether or not we were given an excellent product and application 5 years ago when they retreated for a termite infestation. They did a great job in repairing damage and the retreat. But, this is not the heart of the issue. The heart of the issue is, Orkin wants to nullify a bond that has been active for close to 58 years based on a payment not received that was issued and sent through the Federal Mailing System. 40 days before the coverage ended.

The facts are: The coverage was from 12/16 – 12/17 (noted on invoice). I received an invoice October and November. I issued the payment to Orkin using Orkin's envelope and method of transit (USPS) - November 20, 2016. I mailed the invoice stub and check ** November 20, 2016. Orkin did not receive the payment. I was never notified or warned that this policy was being cancelled - They had my active cell #. I reached out to Orkin by phone (1-11-2017) when I noticed that the check hadn’t cleared my bank. Orkin then informed me that I no longer had an account (due to non-payment). This clearly is not right for Orkin to relinquish this policy taking the said events into account.

The branch Manager Phil ** clarified to me that there is a 30 day grace period. In actuality this coverage ended January 1, 2017. Thirty days from that point is January 30, 2017. I have asked them to reinstate this account seeing and understanding these events. I asked that he would operate with the high integrity he claims to possess.

If I could rate it less I would rate them a negative 5 very poor service. The tech could not tell the difference between a snake and roach bait. She would come out and ask where we saw roaches and spray a little. We were promised full reports. Full coverage spray in the house bait and outside spraying. We ended providing our own bait. She did not spray anywhere but where we saw roaches, we kept telling her we saw the around the refrigerator. She said they do not go in electronics. Ended up having more pests after using them than before. If you want to lose your money and get no results then by all mean use them.

They are prompt when we call and need assistance. Their staff are extremely knowledgeable and thorough in their assessment and treatment of the problem. They take the time to carefully explain the pests and how they behave; what the treatment will do as well as risks to pets and people. They listen to our questions and concerns and give thorough answers that address the issues. Staff are friendly and genuinely want to help.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orkin?

They will not follow through. First visit I was told would be an 45 min. to an hour, with full report. Never got a report. Took 10 minutes. Ask where I saw the bug, sprayed and left. One day after he left I had a bigger problem than before he came. My tile floors were black from all the bug. I called and was told, "Oh that's too bad. You get more bugs in your home this time of year. Tell your guy next time he comes out". He also said oh well too bad I must have stirred something up. Then we started to have mice in our kitchen. All they did was give us some traps to put down ourselves, so I call for my money back, was told he will be out tomorrow to fix between 3-5pm and hung up on me.

This time he put 2 traps down, put some foam in a hole and left. After our year was up they keep coming even though I asked our guy not to. We could not afford to pay that much. Still had a problem with mice and spiders. So I called, left a voice mail telling them that if they are not going to do anything to help give me my money back and stop coming out and that I would like to talk to someone so to please call. Never called, so I called again. Once again I was told they will not give me my money back but will send someone today. So once again my husband leaves work early. The guy spent 2 minutes taking pictures, said his team will figure out what to do and call back. That was 4 months ago! Nothing. No calls, no money. So I had a contractor and my dad and I all worked to get the mouse problem fixed.

The people were very efficient and took the time to explain what they were doing. The cost was very affordable. I love dealing with Orkin Pest Control. The people that I have dealt with are very friendly and very efficient. They call ahead to make sure I'm home. When spraying they spray in every place that I ask with no questions asked. I would recommend this company to anyone. My rating would be excellent and a high five.

They are wonderful. Always check to see if we have issues, always knock down wasp nests for me and they make sure we have no ants in the house and no fleas in the yard. They come in between appointments if requested at not cost. I've used other services. None were this good. They use special chemicals that won't bother asthmatics without asking! Excellent service and attention to detail. I always get a call the night before my tech comes. He has serviced my home for years.

I am 78 years old, living on a fixed income. I live in Fort Sumner NM. A few years ago I needed pest control so called Orkin. My closest provider is in Amarillo TX. The Orkin man came over a few times that year and has a few times in the years since. In October I got a telephone call from a technician telling me he was coming the next day. I was out of town and told him not to come. I told him I couldn't afford it, that I was gone and that I didn't want him to come. He called back later and apologized but told me he HAD to come and spray the outside of my house. Then I got a bill for $80.95. My Social Security is just $559 per month. So I wrote the Amarillo office and they told me I had signed a form giving them authorization to come every month, even when I was not home.

I told them I hadn't given such authorization. They then sent me a form that I had initialled over two years before. I had initialled it, but it was for a specific situation and nothing that I ever intended to be in effect eternally. Now I am getting overdue notices. I have written them, have written the Better Business Bureau in Amarillo, with no response except overdue notices from a lady named Janice. I pay my bills, but I don't feel that this bill was ever justified. I told him not to come. The technician said he understood but that he had no choice since his manager was insisting that he come. I don't ever want to hear the name Orkin again. I've told all the people at the Senior Center and at my church to stay away from Orkin. This is very upsetting to me. Can you possibly help me? I don't know where else to turn.

Before contract ORKIN guarantee to eliminate the mice from house and I paid more $550. They spent more than 6 months and could not find from where the mice come. They are still coming from outside. In my opinion this company is literally incapable of controlling the rodents and have no idea how to stop them. They just take money every month and ultimate result is zero. Their service is poor. If you are looking to control the rodents or mice better look any other company. They just look for your money. They have no expert and no idea. So do not--do not hire this company at all.

Orkin automatically schedules quarterly service calls. This past October, the Saturday appointment they scheduled for me was not convenient, so I called and left a message to reschedule. I never got a call back, and the technician showed up anyway. He called to ask why no one was home. I rescheduled with him then for a different Saturday. The day of the rescheduled appointment he never showed up or called, and no one answered at the office or returned my messages. The following business day, I called the office reschedule for a diff entry Saturday. The day of that appointment the SAME EXACT THING happened! When I called the following Monday, they told me our usual tech no longer works for them, as if that somehow explains why they couldn't keep the appointment they made. They offered to send a different tech on a weeknight in an attempt to make up for their blunders.

I explained that we were told in the past that since we work until five we can only have a Saturday appointment, but the office scheduler assured me she was making a note for the tech to come after 5:45 when we would be home. Well, he showed up at four, and called me at work to say he won't come back after five because by then he is "home cooking dinner." When I called the office, they basically accused me of lying about the appointment time since they "would never schedule like that." I know what time I get out of work every day. Why would I make an appointment that I couldn't keep? Especially after waiting for over a month for them to show up! They offered to give us our next visit free, but I felt that was just way too risky. I am absolutely shocked at the lack of professionalism and reliability at this Orkin location.

My husband called Orkin for a 1 time pest treatment. He was talked into signing a 1 year contract for pest control AND complete termite treatment for $938, and the full amount was charged on my Visa card. He was not well when talked into those services and passed away 28 days later. I was shocked when I got the credit card bill. I called Orkin, and asked what the charges were for. When she told me about the termite contract, I told her that we had the house treated for termites 5 years earlier. All she would say was "we got his signature." The manager was unwilling to make any adjustment on the bill and just kept saying "he signed the contract." I feel like Orkin took advantage and I will never do business with them again. Buyer beware!

I had a bed bug problem for the first time in my home of 20 years so when I googled for exterminators, Orkin was top of the list so I called them. They confirmed an appointment for the next day but couldn't give me a time so I waited all day. Around 4pm I called only to be told I wasn't on the schedule for that day. Nobody told me they'd be here today. I was desperate enough to let them reschedule and they did make it the next time. Not only did they not do a good job in the basement but they completely missed my bedroom. I had no bug problems anymore in those other rooms but still a bad invasion in my bedroom but I stuck it out til the 4th week. I texted the guy who told me I may text him if I need them before they came back. He never did reply to me.

Next day I called the office and we set up an appointment for the next morning anytime before I had to leave at 12:30. I set my alarm clock for 7:00, got all ready in case they came at 8:00. Waited all morning til 11:00 when I called to see what's going on. Once again, I was told I wasn't on the schedule that day, nobody told me they were coming over, oh no, they're coming over Friday! At this point I'm about to boil over and asked if she was calling me a liar?

My second time with them both no show with same excuses so I told her this business practice is just completely unacceptable and take my contract and tear it up as I'm going to go with another exterminator. When I went to hunt for one, I couldn't believe what popped out at me on Google; 395 complaints against Orkin! The very first review had exactly the same complaint as mine and more too. Stay away from Orkin! When I told her to tear up my contract, she just said okay; could it possibly be they're very used to that now? Shame on them!

So I paid for a yearly service with orkin and September was my last month for the service. They came and at same time they came had a contractor about something else. Told Orkin guy I had something digging under my porch and he said they dont do that service. Orkin said they were done and asked for signature which we signed not thinking had walk around, make sure the work was completed. Well big mistake. Walked around hour later to see I had cobwebs all over my back porch still and I have wasps fly all over my front porch because there nest in steps.

Well I never received a bill so I assumed they weren't charging me because nothing wasn't completed, so I tried take care of the nest myself... and a month and week later I received a bill for that day when nothing was done. And orkin says because signed orkin paperwork that I have pay for that service. I was like "well if you come out and take care problem I will pay for bill", but because it was over month ago they won't come out without charging me again. And then there like I had service set up in November which I clearly told them when called last time I do not want service again from them. Orkin does not care if their customers are happy at all, and it's because if there issue they send service guy back on their own time. I was told this by one of service guy. They don't pay them, so why would things get don't correctly. Do not trust this company, is not worth all money they charge.

I made an appt for a specific time and date and I confirmed with my tenant that she would be home and she rearranged her schedule as a school teacher to be there. Well they never showed up or called. So when I called they made it for a week later their mistake. Then they keep it for the date they originally made and again the school teacher changed her schedule and had to get sub to cover her class. Once again they never showed for the original that that made. They come the next day late and she happen to be home.

So 30 day later they had to come back again and of again problems with their communication. SO a few months went by and I decided to give them a try for a termite inspection. We schedule a time and the day of the inspection they called to confirm my appt and I thought great this time they are coming out and finally got it right. WELL I waited until 7 pm and nobody showed up and nobody called. THEY ARE A HORRIBLE COMPANY. The next day I called Terminix and they did exactly as they said on time and to the point. NEVER NEVER USE ORKIN.

We had problems with moles in our yard. I contacted Orkin Pest Control in March of 2016. A salesman came out to the house and I showed him the mole activity. He assured me that Orkin could help. I signed a contract and at this time I was led to believe by the salesman that the service was good until Oct 2016. I paid the fee of $475.00 and we set up a time for a technician to come out. A couple of days later the technician came out, set a couple of traps at the back edge of the yard, spread some mole deterrent around and left. It took him about ten minutes That was the last time I saw or heard from anyone!!! I called the salesman just about every week and he promised that someone would be out soon. Well, that never happened.

In July, I finally called the office and talked to a manager who told me that these contracts only go for TWO MONTHS!! I told him that the salesman led me to believe that it would go until Oct. After talking to the salesman he finally agreed to honor this and told me that they would continue the contract until Oct 2016 and that a technician would be out to the house the following week. That was the last time I heard from them. Not only did they literally steal my $475, they continually lied to me. This company will not honor their contract and their words are lies!!! Do business with at your own RISK!!!

I've been calling this company since last month for an inspection cause we're having a fruit fly problem and still nothing!!! They said someone should call in the next 24hr to set up an inspection, still no call. This is the worst company ever. The customer service sucks, very misleading!!! I wouldn't recommend it.

I recently inquired with Orkin about a "possible" infestation issue in my home. Upon calling customer service, I was told that there would be a fee for an inspection. After calling a few places, I found that Orkin was the only company that does not do a complimentary inspection. I asked the customer service line to give me a ballpark figure of what we'd be looking at price wise, as I already had two other quotes, and she let me know, in a very snarky and rude tone, that their company does not do business that way and she had noted my file that I was just "price shopping and not a serious consumer." I am also a small business owner with a corporate contract with Orkin (that I did not mention during my initial phone call) and will be discontinuing service with them due to their poor customer service.

Originally I subscribed to this service in the month of August for an issue with carpenter ants. After calling Orkin out numerous times within the first two months, we noticed that we no longer saw any ants. Since we subscribed to a year long service, we expected to continue to get treatments. Unfortunately, this is when we found out how unreliable and unprofessional this company was. The tech that treated our house when we originally signed up left the company. After that a different technician would come out to spray without warning or a schedule and then I would be billed.

Most of the winter months I would come home from work and see a sticker on my door that said my billable service was completed that day and that since I was not home they treated the outside. In January when there are no bugs outside. Each time I would call the office and complain, but this situation persisted, until my year long contract was up. I would never recommend this company to anyone!

On March 12, 2016, we had to treat our home for bedbugs. We paid the $95 inspection fee, and the house was treated. We paid $1050 which included the $95 inspection fee. For 5 months now, we've had to deal with collection notices stating we owe $95. We contacted Orkin and spoke with several managers, and they said, "No need to pay - already paid in inspection." That was told to us by Ken **, Orkin Manager. We also spoke with Anthony **, and he said it would be taken care of and removed. He apologized for the inconvenience. Today, I received a collection notice from Revenue Group, which means Orkin Corp. sent our account to collections. I have all my receipts including the one that proves we paid the $95. I will be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

I am not sure if the poor customer service is a reflection of Orkin as a national brand or just the Raleigh office (I am in 27604 if there are multiple offices)... but wow. I was misled about their services/free inspection from the first call during the sales process. Their follow up protocol was not followed through on as well. I am in sales myself and if I misled or did not deliver on my promises and protocol with my own clients, I would not have any clients. Though the individual employees are nice when you speak with them, their processes leave a lot to be desired. Cancelling services and calling one of their competitors ASAP.

South Jersey Orkin... Called the Office to schedule another treatment for bed bugs and the Office manager had an extreme attitude as if I'm wasting their time. The bugs kept traveling from one room to the next. They said "next time you see them capture it and put the bugs in a ziplock bag." I did called the office to get another visit. Finally the rude office manager said that we cannot receive anymore treatments. I explained to her that my wife has metastatic breast cancer and on hospice care and I don't want her to live her final days being bit by bed bugs. She didn't show any sign of remorse over the phone and continue to say nothing they can do. I felt coming out of this like I was robbed because we didn't get needed help that 1200 paid for.

By the way On the follow up visits they didn't fog like the initial visit. They used a spray that you can buy over the internet yourself. How do I know? The guy wouldn't leave me with spray bottle. He told me I can buy it. Do yourself a favor and research how to do it yourself. Don't waste your time and money with these insensitive people.

They came out to spray for carpet beetles, although not one of 3 visits covered the entire place (I only own a condo). They are still here! After first spray, guy comes back a week later to see if all clear. I tell him I have found at least 2 live ones just days ago. He says all is clear, sometimes a couple get away from spray. Continue to find more, so have second spray, then 3rd. No longer under contract. Couldn't have them back. And why would I since they don't know how to terminate them! The guy who came here didn't even seem educated on carpet beetles. He tells me the marks on your body come from their bites which they do as they lay eggs. NOTHING anywhere says they bite. The marks on your skin come just from skin contact with bugs!

I called in to speak to someone in customer service because no one had responded to my online inquiry. After the woman gave me the breakdown of services and the prices I asked her if this was a contractual agreement where we HAVE to have all 6 treatments or if after the first 2 we don't see any improvement can we cancel the next 4 treatments without penalty or hassle. She literally refused to give me a yes or no answer to my question and instead told me repeatedly if we didn't do all 6 treatments it would be a waste of our money and a waste of their time. So I clarified my question and still received the same answer. I told her if I can't have a clear explanation of what it is I am signing up for then I didn't want their services. I chose Orkin because I know they have been around for a long time but the customer service was beyond disappointing and very frustrating. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

I left another company that was not doing anything to control my German roach problem and Orkin manager Peggy came out and worked really hard to help me solve it. Both techs were friendly and helpful. I had a great experience and would recommend them. Thanks Orkin.

I requested pest control services for my home in San Antonio, TX. When I spoke with the representative on the phone, she quoted me one price of $77 and was very confident in the services that Orkin could provide. I specifically asked if this was the price I would be charged for the initial inspection and services. She stated "there would be no additional charge". Upon arrival, Alfred **, whose attitude and initial demeanor was very unpleasant, looked around the home in less than 5 minutes and determined that because of what he "perceived" to be an infestation the prices of the services would be an additional $50, bringing the total to $127.

I explained to him what the representative quoted me, and I was not informed that there could be a potential increase in costs upon inspection. He continued to argue with me and tell me that the representatives follow a script and that the customer service agent did in fact tell me that there would be an additional costs based upon inspection. He was adamant that this was the case. I was not told by Wanda the customer service rep that there would be an additional increase in costs; in fact she quoted me the discounted rate of $77. It would not make sense to give me a discounted price and then subsequently be charged the same amount ($50) of the discount upon inspection.

Mr. ** was rude, practically accused me of being dishonest for disagreeing with him that the representative told me there could be an increase in cost upon inspection. He came into my home with an attitude from the start and without conducting a thorough inspection, surmised we had an infestation... which turned out to be inaccurate based on the inspection of another pest control company. Mr. ** did not represent your company well, and certainly left a bad impression with me. I initially selected Orkin because of the reviews, the commercial and the fact that your company has been around for some time. But based on this experience, I would not recommend Orkin because of the bad customer service, misrepresentation of prices and not honoring the prices initially quoted. Sounds like a racket to me.

My daughter moved into an apartment and ended up with a bed bug infestation. Orkin has been out 3 times now. The bugs are worse than ever. Management is trying to say they brought them with them. Orkin says they came from the bed. My Auntie had the bed for 7+ years. Not a bug on it. Have paper showing it had none all the time she had it. Do I need a lawyer? Is Orkin going to do their job? I could do better.

A year ago, when my termite inspection was due. I received a unscheduled visit by a Orkin person to do the inspection. The first time in 25 years my attic was inspected, I was informed that I had field mice. Next I was told that my crawl space needed a new moisture barrier. Orkin placed the original barrier in my crawl space and 4 automatic vents.

I was so angry that I called the Raleigh office with my complaint. I was told that Orkin will do a home inspection. And report the findings to the customer. Never informing the customer that this service will be done and not scheduling with the customer. I spent $800.00 with another company to inspect my attic and my crawl space. No mice. I did have a new moisture barrier placed. When my annual renewal was due I decided to pay in installments, because of my anger with the company, they decided that they no longer wanted me as a customer. They thought that because I am a senior over 75 years of age a female that they could take advantage of me and make additional money by selling something that I did not need. After 25 years with the company because I decided to pay installments they terminated my service with the company. May 2016.

My husband and I moved into a new apartment 6 months ago. We found bed bugs had infested our bedroom and most likely our living room because they woke me up in the middle of the night and I went out to lay on the couch after hours of itching and scratching. I just didn't realize what was until we found them! So our apartment manager called Orkin. The Orkin Man came in to inspect. He said, "What do you think the problem is?" Very rude. I said, "Look down at the mattress, that's what the problem is." Oh, then he put on latex gloves, looked at the mattress, looked at the couch and said he'd report his findings to the manager. He came back to exterminate, we came home and found a bed bug crawling across the mattress! I called Orkin, they were very apologetic, however, it's a commercial account so our manager has to make the call. She just happened to be off for 3 days!

When we were finally able to have management get Orkin back to our home, he came in and again very rude and said, "What is going on?" I said, "We still have bed bugs." He looks around again, says "It looks good," he'll be back in 2 weeks! "Really, I've caught at least one every day since you exterminated and I know what I'm looking at!" He told me to catch what I see with scotch tape, bag it, write exactly where I found it and he'll be back! They are crawling on the floors, walls, ceiling! I'm paying almost $1400 a month and I'm sleeping on the balcony. I cannot go into that apartment until I really, really, really have to use the bathroom. AWFUL SERVICE, ABSOLUTELY AWFUL!!!

I have had Orkin for a year and all I have is 1000 less dollars and LOTS of ants. I swear they are feeding them. I was not home the first couple of times they came and was not aware they refused to go under my deck... which is about 3 feet off the ground. Well guess where the nest is... what happened to the commercial where they go anywhere including crawl spaces. This area is much larger, had my daughter in law not told me, I would not have known. They said, "Well it could be as far as 6 feet deep in the ground." If you know this, why don't you have a treatment for it?

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Orkin is one of the most popular and largest pest control companies in the world. The company serves businesses and residential property owners both across the country and internationally.

• Company reputation: Orkin is known as one of the leading experts in pest control. The company is more than 113 years old.
  • Variety of services: Orkin offers a variety of pest control services, including termites, bed bugs, rodents, ants, roaches, spiders, scorpions, bees, ticks, mosquitoes, and more.
  • Location of company: Orkin has locations across the world, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, Central America, South America, the Middle East, Asia, the Mediterranean, Africa, the Caribbean, and Australia, so it’s a convenient option for customers across the world.
  • Service: Because Orkin exists across the world, it’s hard to depend on consistent customer service. Representatives from location to location may differ due to different regional challenges, different managers, etc.
  • Scheduling: Customers who need quick service from Orkin may experience delays and long wait times when trying to book an appointment.
  • Best for Landlords of large residential buildings, single-family homeowners, apartment & condo owners, commercial property owners

Compare Pest Control