Orkin Pest Control
3.55/5

Looking for a pest control company?

Orkin Pest Control

Looking for a pest control company?

531 Orkin Pest Control Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 4, 2019

We live in Miami Florida, I called yesterday to set up a Termite Inspection and they gave me an appointment for today, The Female Inspector called me this morning to let us know she was on her way, and arrived to our house within our appointment time range... We were very satisfied with her knowledge and professionalism. Thank God, we don't have Termites, but we sign up to have them fumigate our yard every two months... I hope we can continue with a positive

outcome in the future..Thank you Tania ** for a job well done..!

Miami, Florida

June 4 2019

Original review: March 16, 2019

Orkin treated bed bugs in my home. I paid them $2,100.00 for the whole home treatment (as they do not do a one room only treatment because they can’t guarantee the bed bugs will not run to other rooms. This costing more money in the long run). The Tech explained to me that I had the option of a one time treatment, which is only guaranteed for 30 days, or I had the option to add 1 year monthly follow ups, thus providing me a one year guarantee in case bed bugs ever return. Treatment was great and they followed up in 7 days to make sure bed bugs were gone and followed up Monthly after that. The Tech took the time to educate me about bed bugs and how easy it is for ANYONE (even myself) to come into my home and unknowingly have bed bug eggs or the adult bed bugs on their clothing, thus infesting my home again.

I’m so glad I chose to have the monthly follow up inspections/treatment for a whole year because I had out of town company who actually brought bed bugs back into my home again. Orkin was great... they sent the Tech out to treat my home again and since then I’ve had not other problems. It is definitely worth the money to have a one year added guarantee.

After all, it’s better to be proactive than reactive. My experience with Orkin was a great one and life saver. They never hesitated and sent the tech out right away to take care of the bed bug re-infestation problem. My experience has been WONDERFUL! And I will recommend Orkin to everyone. They stick by their word, are honest, and as a customer I can’t thank them enough! I rate them 5 stars (would rate them a 10 - but 10 is not available) as compared to any other pest control company. I will never use anyone other than Orkin for any of my pest control needs. Thank you Orkin for a job well done!

Get expert buying tips about Pest Control delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

So many bad reviews and I will tell you why. The main reason is people are either impatient or have no money. They took less than 5 minutes. Problem solved. I have seen a decrease in just 4 hours. I live in apartment so I pretty much need them to come back often. Signed the longest contract for the cheapest price. Cancel anytime if needed. No fees. I just resign up if I need it again! Thanks for getting rid of the problem.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I called Orkin last year to get rid of roaches. I had fought them for years and even though I had thought I had won the battle, I then got neighbors from hell. Once the people moved and their water was shut off, I noticed the hoard of bugs showing up in my house. I was just tired of fighting them. Orkin came within the week. He looked around and started to work. No chemical smells and no stains. Every cabinet, drawer, crack and crevice was sprayed. He put down sticky traps and small bait thing.

He then sprayed outside all the way around my house. He explained that it would be about 2 weeks before I seen a big difference. He was so right. I did sign for 1 year so he comes every 2 months. I only pay $77 a visit. Haven't had any bugs since a month after the first visit but would recommend this company every time. I don't remember the man's name but he is always the same guy. He is elderly and probably the smartest person I know when it comes to extermination.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Nathan is my technician, and he is always a joy. He texts me the day before to confirm my appointment, changing his schedule to match mine as needed. He treats my home and me with respect, always telling me what he's doing and what he found during his inspections. He frequently goes above and beyond - he brought in a UPS package on my last visit without me asking him to! Great job, Nathan!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orkin?

Original review: June 12, 2019

I do not want to take too much time here, but the customer service from Orkin is horrible. They will sell you one thing over the phone when you are calling them for the first time, but the experience you receive from them actually doing the job is very subpar, from what I experienced. The tech was a very nice guy, but their services (from my experience) are not up to the expectations for what you will be paying on a monthly basis (Let alone the starting cost). The management team does not follow up on their phone calls and when you do get to speak with someone from their customer care team, they are rude and very defensive and will hang up the phone on you in your face. Truly unacceptable.

I called to cancel my services from them within a few days of their first visit and they did nothing but try and say I was wrong in my expectations from them. If I had known all of this when I called them to begin with, I would not have allowed them to come to my home, let alone charge me $111.00 for doing very basic services. I wish I would have asked for the last customer service lady name I spoke with on 6/12/2019 at around 11:55am, but I did not get a chance to before she hung up on me. It did not seem she cared to do anything other than read a book of the Orkin standards to me. I truly hope she is not the manager, because she does not have a genuine care for customer service. That is my perception from my interaction with her.

The company may have some great success with others, but for me it was a huge let down and I am deeply disappointed in their overall service. Overall, look elsewhere before coming to Orkin. They seem to care more collecting that first service fee and more about proving you wrong than being understanding and trying to fix the problem, like you would expect from a true customer focused organization.

Original review: May 29, 2019

The customer service and customer attitude is terrible! I made an appointment because I saw flying termites. They scheduled a free inspection. I informed them to call me ahead of time so I didn’t have to wait at home for four hours. They never called me but the inspector they came and did the inspection when my two daughters were home (13 and 18) neither of whom were informed enough to give them the details of my concerns. I called back that day. They said the tech would call me no later than the next day. I never heard from him the next day.

I called back again. They said they would call me the next day. By now three days have gone by and I am trying to get in touch with them and trying to give them my business. Asked to talk to the supervisor and they said they would call me back the next day. There are plenty of other termite companies in town who want my business and don’t want to make me work so hard for it. I own my own company and I don’t have time to spend four different occasions reaching them and hanging on the phone while waiting for an answer to no avail.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I had a terrible flea issue so I called Orkin to have them come out, I had an appointment set up between 8-10 and I called to double checked the night before, the day of no one showed up, I called several times. Finally someone showed up. Almost 2 hours later I paid money to put all 3 of my animals in boarding getting flea treatments of their own while the house was being Treated. This was my first time using Orkin so when I came home that night and talked with a representative who assured me the fleas wouldn’t be of any harm to my animals (one is highly allergic to fleas) and the fleas would be all dead within 5 days.

Well a week passed and they were worst than before. I called to set up another appointment, I called several different times and have gotten several different answers on the same questions, it changes every time I call. I am beyond furious, this being my first time with them so with all these issues I wouldn’t recommend or even give one star. I paid $350 for them to kick me out of the house for 8 hours and not do anything to the actual issue. My cat is now having more issues than ever because I was told it would be safe for her from Orkin. So fed up. I don’t even want a second treatment because the first was so bad.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I called for a quote to get rid of mice this past winter 2019. All three people with which I spoke tried to use scare tactics to convince me that if I did any less than their $700/7-visit package, they can't guarantee their service. I stay in a detached single family house. I explained to them that I stayed in an apartment building with shared walls years ago and the entire building was infested, but after only 2 visits from maintenance I never had mice again. So I asked why it would take a professional company 7 times for something it took 2 times for a guy to do. Of course they had no answer. So I got in touch with my old apartment complex maintenance guy and paid him $50 to plug holes in my kitchen and basement and lay traps; which is exactly what Orkin said they would do. I haven't seen or heard a trace of a mouse since. For $50, NOT $700. It's extortion and I'm glad I ignored Orkin's lies.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I had called this company in 2017 to handle ant issue, last service June of 2018. They said the nest I had was there for 4-5 years and their product would kill the nest. Nope, just found one on my floor last night, they said their product does not last forever... Really, because it has not even been a year and now starting to have the same problem, spent over $800 because that is the only way they "Guarantee their product"?? They stated I have a new problem, no, these ants are very big. 3X the size of a regular Carpenter Ant and was advised by the Service Manager at the beginning that this is due to the nest that has been there from previous owners of my home.

If the product worked, they would not be still breeding or coming through the same areas as when Orkin was treating. I wasted the money and would never recommend them to anyone. I don't expect the product to last forever, but don't tell me it is a new problem when you were servicing this issue within the past year. Ignorance at its best.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I hired Orkin back in November of 2018 because I had seen a few mouse droppings and wanted to nip it in the bud. They came over right away and told me it would take a couple of weeks before I would be able to get rid of them. But instead of my problem going away it became worse. I would call and they would send the same person here and he would put down more poison and traps but it kept getting worse. They did send another person over who told me the first person did not seal the holes from the outside of the house and that is why I now have an infestation. He supposedly sealed the holes and again I waited. After 2-3 weeks I was still infested I asked for my money back so I could call someone else. They refused.

I couldn't take it anymore and hired someone else. In 2 days it got 95% better. Within a week my problem was gone. I suffered for 6 months with mice crawling all over my countertops, getting into my clothes, having to disinfect everything I touched. When I called Orkin they told me they would give me back half my money. I felt since I had to pay the full money to the new exterminator I wanted all my money back.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Orkin was called to help with mice removal. Did not work and they don’t care. Mice are back with a vengeance. All they did was set up mouse traps the 2 times they were here and that’s it. For $250.00 They never even came to pick up their equipment. But worse is the problem still exists and they do nothing to help. I would NEVER use Orkin again! They suck!

Original review: May 9, 2019

Waited forever and a day to hear back from Orkin about coming in to deal with some mice in our basement. He said it was Spring now and so they should all be gone. Didn't leave any traps, but he charged a pretty penny. And guess what? The mice are still definitely there. I keep finding new droppings. I will be calling a new exterminator to help me with my problem now.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I have been with Orkin Control for 5 yrs. I have spent the past 15 days trying to get my house sprayed with rude customer service and an Orkin tech showing up at the unscheduled time to not showing up at all. I took off early for work both times only to find out that Orkin no longer cares for their customers. I will be cancelling my service first thing in the A.M. and going to a more local non franchise company.

Original review: April 30, 2019

This company is horrendous. I will never use them again. We had a contract, supposedly with a guarantee of service for the summer of 2018 - we contacted them no less than a dozen times about how it was not working and to end the contract. No one called or returned emails, they just billed for the contract. THEN TODAY someone shows up a year later to SPRAY WITH NO CONTRACT. He said we never stopped last year's contract!!! WHAT? TALK ABOUT STEALING. We demanded it end repeatedly, there is NO CLEARER way to end a contract. And they show up during the work day and spray without your knowledge or permission and bill you excessively. DO NOT WORK WITH THIS COMPANY - THEY WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY FOR AS LONG AS THEY CAN!

Original review: April 25, 2019

They messed up 3 appointment times! Took up at least 2 days of my time for nothing. The Fremont Ca. office is off track BIG TIME. They want me to say more. I have no more time for this Co. Don't go here.

Original review: April 12, 2019

When called Orkin about bed bug problem. The guy came to talk to us, told us it would be $2100.00. And we could do a PAYMENT plan. Said we had a deposit of $501.61, which I paid. The man told us that our monthly payments would be $60 a month. When they treated, they didn't even treat the whole house and we still find one once in a while. But they can't do anything. When finally got Bill they wanted the whole amount up front. Called and talked to them many times. Last said they will call you back, they never did. I called again got told we had to pay 161.70 a month which wasn't what we were told. And are Bill was 1727.77. Meaning for 12 payments, they're making an extra $212.63 off us. Plus they totally lied to my face about are PAYMENT amount... which is wrong. I'm disabled. I can't afford that PAYMENT. They're cheats and liars, plus they do a horrible job. Still can't get anyone to return our phone calls.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I signed up for insect control via my apartment's management. The technician came one day late, so I was already a little disappointed. I had some questions about the pesticide application, and the technician answered them. But after finishing, he overheard me explaining the process to my relative, and he started being hostile. He made a mockery of my formal training (which is in the sciences).

To make things worse, the apartment staff seemed to agree with the technician, who wrongly suggested that I instigated the incident. As I stated earlier, I was talking to my relative, not him. He should have left after doing his job. Belittling my knowledge was unnecessary. This experience has eroded any trust that I have with the idea of professionalism, because the concept is apparently a myth in this increasingly toxic world.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Do not trust these people. They insist their products are pet safe but that is an outright lie, especially since their techs do not know how to follow instructions, can they even read? They treated our apartment without our permission and sprayed this poison with my sweet curious boy right there! We had told the apartment management not to EVER treat our home with pesticides and not to enter without our presence. They ignored our instructions. It sure seems that the Orkin tech snuck in after we left to go out to dinner, we did not realize they had treated our apartment until our cat got gravely ill with pancreatitis weeks later, he stopped eating.

Beware, it may not show up right away but it damages their organs, caused eventual kidney failure. So, thanks to the incompetence of both the apartment management and the Orkin death squad our move to our new home we were building became a struggle to keep our boy alive, always knowing that he had been handed a death sentence by these criminals. We could only love and support him until the end - 2 years later. Our home feels utterly empty without his joyful presence, he was such a gift.

I am livid about this, it has changed our lives forever. We need to pass laws that prevent these companies from invading our homes and killing our precious pets. There were no bugs to kill, I asked the jerk that sprayed the poison, "Why didn’t you use some common sense and leave when you saw my cat there," he said “don’t pull the common sense card on me” and HUNG UP ON ME! So, I assume he had been asked that before and did not want to be faced with the consequences of his actions. They are aware that they are killing our pets, they just DON’T CARE! I am waiting for Universal Justice to take its course and yes, I am helping it along in any way I can, they need to feel some pain, my little boy sure did and now I have to live with this pain, until I can join him in heaven. BEWARE!

Original review: March 1, 2019

I have been a loyal customer for over 30 years, that is until 2-28-2019. My service was provided from Orkin located at 2640 E 84th Place, Merrillville IN 46410-6424. Being a senior citizen there are times when our funds run a little short. Yes my bill is 90 days past due (3rd time in 30 years). Called your office and stated I will pay the $169.00 in full on March 13, 2019. The secretary was totally disrespectful and absolutely no help blaming Corporate for cancelling the service. Final word THANK YOU AND GOODBYE ORKIN. HELLO TERMINIX.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I really don't write reviews but I want other consumers in the market for pest control. DON'T BOTHER WITH THIS COMPANY. I have a duplex with 2 different entries. Had treatment for ants on September 2018 which I paid with my card. They then came back out in November only servicing the 1st floor with no notice or communication with me of this appointment. I got a bill in the mail and I called customer services questioning the bill. They said they came out and service the home. I explained that this is a duplex and that I wasn’t going to pay for full service if I wasn’t getting it and I wanted to cancel.

I didn’t hear anything back from them until today and it was a credit collector. I told her that I didn’t have a problem paying half the bill because that’s all I got was half the service. She was so rude to me and very accusatory to me and said there was nothing that she can do. I don’t know how long I was on the phone with her trying to explain to her that I didn’t want their services and that there was something that they can do about the bill. Anyway long story short, she said that she would call me back and a few hours later I have not heard from them. This company is a ripoff. My ant problem never went away with their products but I did manage to gain control with home remedies. Think before you use their services.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I call Orkin to see what their prices were like in comparison to Terminix. I told the Orkin rep. that "I will get back to you if I choose your service". From the moment I hung up the phone I received numerous texts, calls and emails from several representatives, not for 1 day but several days. I was being abused by them taking my time to check emails, text and calls. I had enough, I called and spoke to the manager, it still continued. I had to go so far as to state "I WILL REPORT YOU FOR HARASSMENT IF THIS DOES NOT STOP IMMEDIATELY". Their prices are much higher than Terminix, and Terminix respected me and allowed me to contact them. I forgot to mention this, I told Orkin they were calling my place of business, but they were so inconsiderate of me as a possible customer. They did not care.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I spoke in customer service regarding my service. I explained everything that I don't need service anymore. The service guy who visit last I told him too that this is last. I don't need service after that and he said ok. He didn't told me that you have to call for cancelation but still they charged me for the service which I don't get. The lady whom I talked to phone is apathetic and rude.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I really don't write reviews but I want other consumers in the market for pest control. DON'T BOTHER WITH THIS COMPANY. Either the techs that come out have no clue about any of the products they're using or they just don't show up. We are scheduled for a monthly service at my business and every month and 1/2 I'm calling them to remind them. Crazy so I cut my losses and made the phone call to another pest control company. Don't waste your money or time with this company. If I could have left no stars I would have.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Tech was not knowledgeable, cocky & disrespectful. Young & inexperienced. Waited a week for service & when he finally did get here; he was late. Explained nothing & not thorough. I still have insect issue.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

In Florida we need termite control. I had Orkin come out and they drilled holes around my house to put the termite liquid into the ground. They said PET SAFE but really anything that kills bugs is not safe! The holes they drilled in between concrete slabs were covered with a concrete patch which just blew away. My Service Dog liked to lie at the end of the garage as he could view most of the farm. Orkin came out twice to see this patch job but they didn't do anything. A few months after the service my service dog became ill and within 4 days he passed away. Now tell me this is pet safe!

They pulled up weed control fabric next to the house and still they have not put it back. They covered some spots with grass clipping. I am paying them a lot of money and now I have lost my service dog who helped me walk and balance and I still have open holes. What can I do? If I stop paying them it will ruin my credit rating. I can't do the physical work to fix the landscape fabric and what will happen to the mobility dog I am currently training?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I live in Phila, I had Orkin come out for a mouse problem. They had me sign a contract for a whole year over one Thousand dollars. Said they could not solve the mouse problem. Had me pay another thousand dollars for something called a exclusion. The mouse problem is solved but they are still nailing a grand for the contract. My issue is why didn’t they tell me. They could of just did the exclusion to begin with. Now I am paying a thousand dollars extra for a problem that has been solved! What a scam!!! They do not make appts to come to your home. They just drop by then do not do the service because most of the time when they drop by I am in work. If you need pest control Do yourself a favor and call Terminix.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Orkin is a ripoff! I called them to kill the fleas in my home! They absolutely didn't! They came 3 times but only smelled chemicals the first time which didn't kill them! They came back twice afterwards and didn't do their job! Oh but you must pay them upfront before they do anything! I paid $200 for nothing!!! No they don't reimburse! Lousy! Kentucky.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Had treatment for spiders on 11/27/18. Got a bill a week later. Paid it the next day by mail, credit card. Today 12/18/18 get a "friendly reminder" (i.e. past due). Called Orkin to let them know the service was TWO weeks ago, I paid it the day after I got the first bill, and a snotty rude unprofessional lady told me it was late, I should have called to pay it and not mail it. I told her it wasn't past due. She went on and on that it should have been paid up front and had I done that it wouldn't be past due. I said I wasn't asked to pay that day - but paid in a week when I got a bill. She wanted to charge it then and now, I said no since I just sent in the info to charge my account. I didn't want to be double charged (will watch my credit card closely). She was so rude to me and very accusatory to me. Bad experience and crappy customer service from Orkin staff. Won't use them again!!! Too many other companies that do just as good!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

My nephew's room had bed bugs. I paid $1500 for Orkin to spray in June 2018. In less that 3 months we noticed the bed bugs didn’t die. They just migrated to the next room. A total waste. So now I’m out of $1500 and will probably have to purchase a new bed.

Orkin expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Orkin is one of the most popular and largest pest control companies in the world. The company serves businesses and residential property owners both across the country and internationally.

• Company reputation: Orkin is known as one of the leading experts in pest control. The company is more than 113 years old.

• Variety of services: Orkin offers a variety of pest control services, including termites, bed bugs, rodents, ants, roaches, spiders, scorpions, bees, ticks, mosquitoes, and more.

• Location of company: Orkin has locations across the world, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, Central America, South America, the Middle East, Asia, the Mediterranean, Africa, the Caribbean, and Australia, so it’s a convenient option for customers across the world.

• Service: Because Orkin exists across the world, it’s hard to depend on consistent customer service. Representatives from location to location may differ due to different regional challenges, different managers, etc.

• Scheduling: Customers who need quick service from Orkin may experience delays and long wait times when trying to book an appointment.

• Best for: Landlords of large residential buildings, single-family homeowners, apartment & condo owners, commercial property owners

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs