2. Homeowners
  3. Pest Control

Orkin Pest Control

Orkin Pest Control
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.30/5

Orkin is a worldwide pest control company with over 1.5 million residential and commercial customers and over 100 years of experience. It specializes in treatments against common pests like rodents and insects, but it also offers other services, including insulation and moisture control. Orkin provides free estimates and a satisfaction guarantee.

BOTTOM LINE

With over 100 years in business, Orkin is one of the most well-known pest control brands. The company features highly trained technicians and customer-friendly guarantees. Contact Orkin for a free consultation.

PROS
  • Free estimate
  • Integrated pest management
  • Residential and commercial services
  • 30-day money-back guarantee
CONS
  • Limited pricing information
  • Not available in AK, WY, SD

Top Orkin Pest Control Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orkin?

Fantastic & professional service...I don't know how I would have been able to handle this mess without this company! They gave suggestions on how best to tackle this problem, and the package is really great for money.

Appointment was kept and they were professional as well as friendly. When I asked to modify their estimate to help me afford the service, there was some stalling, but eventually they gave me a very satisfactory price. The service before, during, and after were exemplary.

What is Orkin Pest Control?

Orkin, founded in 1901, has over 100 years of experience with pest control. It has more than 400 locations across the world, including branches in most U.S. states. The company provides pest control for homes and businesses and guarantees customer satisfaction. Orkin technicians go through 160 hours of training, including coursework from Purdue University and hands-on simulations at Orkin’s 30,000-square-foot facility in Atlanta, Georgia.

Orkin uses an integrated pest management approach (called A.I.M.) with the goal of causing the least possible harm to people, property and the environment. Every Orkin visit includes assessment of the situation, the implementation of specific, science-driven solutions and the monitoring of pest activity to ensure the control technique is working.

How does Orkin work?

To find out if Orkin can help with your pest problem and to get an estimate, you can call Orkin or fill out a form online to be contacted by a company specialist. Orkin may give you a price over the phone or visit your home for an inspection.

Orkin uses a three-step pest control process, which it refers to as A.I.M.: assessment, implementation and monitoring. An Orkin technician starts by inspecting your property. They then work with you to come up with a protection program, choosing tools, technology and products that have the lowest environmental impact. After treatment, Orkin monitors results and continues to check for pest activity.

Orkin services come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you choose a treatment plan and pests come back between treatment dates, Orkin returns at no extra charge. And if Orkin can’t solve your pest problem, it refunds your last payment. Orkin also promises to respond to customers within two hours and have someone at your property within 24 hours.

Orkin services

Orkin treats issues with the following pests:

• Bedbugs
  • Earwigs
  • Ticks
  • Mosquitoes
  • Stinging insects

In addition, Orkin also provides these services: attic insulation to help residential customers save on energy costs and keep away pests; moisture control to prevent termite damage and mold; and lawn care for pest and weed prevention. Free inspections are available for each of these services.

Orkin price

Orkin determines pest control pricing based on a customer’s home, type of pests and other factors. The best way to get a quote for your specific situation is to contact your local Orkin branch. Getting a quote is free and comes with no obligations.

For example, we requested a quote for an annual pest control plan for a three-bedroom home in Tulsa, Oklahoma, that needed roach control. We received an estimate of two $195 payments over two months, followed by 10 more monthly payments of $48. That’s an annual total of $870.

Orkin Pest Control FAQ

What chemicals does Orkin use?
What chemicals Orkin uses depends on your specific pest situation. Orkin states that all chemicals it uses are approved by the Environmental Protection Agency and are safe for kids and pets. Orkin technicians provide documentation of chemicals they use during treatment. The company recommends you let your technician know if you are pregnant, have a newborn or have specific allergies. You can access product labels on Orkin’s website.
Does Orkin get rid of mice?
Yes, Orkin handles mouse problems. The process starts with a technician performing a rodent inspection to find out what species is present. Treatment may include both chemical and nonchemical methods.
Who owns Orkin pest control?
Orkin is owned by Rollins, Inc., a pest and termite control company based in Atlanta.
How much does Orkin cost for roach control?
The cost of roach control from Orkin depends on your property and other factors. For an annual plan for a three-bedroom house located in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Orkin quoted two monthly payments of $195, followed by 10 monthly payments of $48.
Is Orkin safe for pets?
Yes, Orkin’s chemicals are safe for pets, the company says, as long as pets are kept away from treated surfaces until they are dry, which can take one to two hours. Pets don’t have to be out of the house during treatment, but Orkin says it can be helpful.
Does Orkin get rid of bedbugs?
Yes, Orkin offers bedbug control and removal service. Its ongoing detection service may not be available in all locations, though. It may also charge an inspection fee.
How does Orkin treat termites?
Orkin customizes plans for termite infestations using several treatments, including Termidor liquid treatment, Orkin Dry Foam, OrkinFoam, and Sentricon bait and monitoring. Your pest control specialist will tell you which of these treatments will work best for your particular infestation.
Does Orkin do payment plans?
Yes, Orkin customers can pay monthly. Speak with your local Orkin branch about setting up a payment plan for pest control services.
What does Orkin use to kill roaches?
It depends on the specific infestation in your home. An Orkin pest control specialist will discuss which chemicals, if any, will work best for your situation.
Does Orkin do free inspections?
Orkin offers free termite inspections. It also offers free pest control quotes. For more information, call Orkin or fill out the contact form on its site.

Is Orkin worth it?

Orkin is one of the most experienced pest control companies around, with over 100 years in business and nearly 2 million residential and commercial customers throughout the world. Its technicians go through extensive training in Orkin’s approach to integrated pest management. However, it’s a good idea to read reviews and compare Orkin with other pest control companies before making a decision.

Orkin Pest Control Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orkin Pest Control?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orkin?

Original review: April 9, 2021

Orkin took over a pest control business in my area 53090 so when Orkin came out to spray for bugs the rate went up a few bucks to $93 and we have a 2500 sq ft house and the tech comes out with a CAN of bug spray. I asked the tech if they have the truck with the 55 gallon drum with a large hose to spray around my house and the tech had to call his boss. So I spoke to his boss and he said they only have one truck with this large sprayer on it and proceeded to tell me it's a hassle to get that truck and made more excuses, was rude and on top of this wanting to charge me an additional $350 for this truck. The original pest control co always sprayed around my entire house with this special truck plus the inside of my home for $89. The tech on the other hand was very kind and worked long and hard to spray my large house with a mini sprayer!

Get buying tips about Pest Control delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 6, 2021

The service tech was really nice so I feel bad writing a negative review, but I called Orkin because I was having a problem with pantry moths. I realized when he showed for the appointment that I knew more about pantry moths than he did but gave him the benefit of the doubt. I know pantry moths are hard to get rid of but I have had no food in my house for 2 months so the service should have worked. Orkin guarantees their service for a month so when the problem was worse than ever I scheduled a call back. The same tech showed up for the the follow up and called another tech for advice. He was told to use a combination of two chemicals; he didn't have both so thought he could combine the two he had, but I told him I would rather he come back with the chemicals he was told to use.

I spent another 6 hours cleaning out all of my cabinets in order to spray the two chemical combo only to find out after he left (when I got the receipt via email) that he had used the chemicals he had on Thursday which were not correct. I called the office and was told they won't reschedule another call back for two weeks and that a manager won't call me back for 48 hours. I'm obviously not fired up to spend another 6 hours to clean out my cabinets for a third time and another two weeks without any food in my house because of poor service. Again, the tech was super nice but I wouldn't recommend Orkin for pest control.

Original review: March 6, 2021

The estimator was prompt and efficient. They evaluated the problem and outlined a perfectly viable solution. The plan was to check for and eliminate entry points for rats (exclusion), trap and eliminate existing intruders and replace contaminated insulation under the house. Cost was $1300.00 and I wasn't to pay a cent until after the work was completed and I was satisfied.

Soon after I signed the contract a technician began wrapping roof vents with 1/8” hardware cloth. BTW, I had already done this at my foundation, which saved them lots of time and money, but I wasn't going to quibble about price, I wanted it done. When the tech got to the a/c unit, he accidentally punctured the coil, which was a $3k fix. This occurred in June or July, 98* in the house for 3 days. The office manager was prompt about seeing to it that it an a/c co. arrived quickly the first day, but I had to remind him on the second day that we were dying in a hotbox because he couldn't get a guaranteed payment commitment to the a/c company, who refused to complete the repair. Nobody from either company informed me of this turn of events; I guess I was supposed to discover it through mental telepathy.

Late on a Friday afternoon the manager explained that he could only approve a $2500 expenditure so our repair would be delayed until he could obtain approval by the Ft. Myers office. He suggested that I give the $1300 owed to Orkin to the a/c company, who agreed to replace the unit on Saturday. This would alleviate our problem the very next day by circumventing the approval process, the a/c company got paid and we didn't fry in our own fat, so I accepted this option. (The new unit cost an additional $2100 but it's a long story as to why I agreed, so I won't torture you with it.)

I didn't see the tech again but let it be for the time being, as it was now hurricane season and unbearably hot. I didn't want to put a tech through the torture of outdoor work under those conditions only to watch the house possibly blow to pieces before November. At the end of hurricane season rats reinfested under the subfloor of the home. Christmas week rats were traipsing through my kitchen. The tech returned between Christmas and New Year's to place traps around the house. It is now early March and nobody has returned. So I paid Orkin $1300 to break my a/c unit. The end.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

I have no feedback about Orkin’s Pest Control as they were SO Poorly managed we never got to that stage. We used the Burnaby / Vancouver Branch. Booked initial visit for assessment ($75) and they were on time and appropriate. 1st treatment booked for ant control, we moved all furniture and took time off work, and they did not show up. Took over 24 hours to get a call back for an explanation and to rebook. 2nd appt for treatment booked a week later, so all furniture / drapes etc. moved back to live for a week and moved again for treatment. More time off work. They did not show up, furniture cleaned up again.

3rd appointment for treatment booked another week later. Move all of the furniture in 1500 square feet, 2 feet from the wall again. More time off work. The technician showed up but had absolutely no clue what had been planned or discussed at the initial assessment visit. He was going to spray outside in the pouring rain, when the treatment planned was for inside. Even with instructions he did not seem to know he was doing in the house. We complained and to be fair the Company did not charge us for the treatment and reimbursed the $75 for the initial visit. A few days later Orkin called us to ask if they could “start over”, come out to reassess again and “do thing properly”. We thought, “People make mistakes, let's be charitable and try to work with them”. Guess what...THEY DID NOT SHOW UP.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2021

I called because we had a lot of tiny sugar ants in our house and they were not going away. We got the one time fee of $600 or so and the ability to call them back for free for a month if the ants were not gone. The first time they came they sprayed the inside of our house and put gel down where the ants were coming in. Some of the ants were coming from a crack in the side of our mirror cabinet in the bathroom and when I asked if they could do anything else to stop the ants from coming in through the mirror they said no. I knew what they did probably wouldn't fix the problem. The customer service on the phone assured me that they would fix our problem and I was doubtful by this point. Almost 2 weeks later and the ants were not gone.

They came 2 more times and nothing they did worked to get rid of the ants. I called for a refund and they refused to give me a full refund but gave me a half refund. I'm pretty sure their website lies with their "money back guarantee" because they did not do that. I ended up buying ant poison powder and spraying it in the crack of the mirror and they have been gone ever since. I also sprayed the powder in the crack of our windowsill where they were coming out. All gone and I did a better job myself by researching what to do than Orkin did for $300.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

I originally hired Orkin for pest control due to my neighbors unsanitary living conditions. At 1st it seemed to help but then the same pest would come back even worse. I would still have to pay out of pocket expenses on top of it kind costs. So why continue to pay for their services. After paying them almost 700 dollars I cancelled my services dad 17th 2020. I was told I would receive my refund within 10 business days. It is now Jan 5th 2021 and still no refund. However on my Orkin account and also when I called the customer service again it showed a refund was made.

Also I cancelled my services months ago and they continued to charge my account even with praying I cancelled in their records. This is when I called again to talk to management. I even waited longer than 10 days to recontact them due to the holidays. I never write reviews but I now feel this company are crooks and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Still haven't got my money back.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

My initial call was great! Customer service informed me of the services and charges. 176.00 first 2 months then 42.00 a month after. First two month tech will come out several times to make sure treatments are taking. This is not what I got! I got tech came out once... I had to call for a 2nd service because I’m still setting bugs. 2nd time came out sprayed only certain rooms on the inside. Did not treat the outside. He came out a 3rd time to finish what he didn’t complete the 2nd time. Guess, what? I’m still seeing big crawling around at night. What of her spraying? Water. The tech, "No worries. I’ll be back on the 15th." You guessed it, no show. Still seeing bugs.

Then wake and my account is charged $42. Why? According to Tech and Csr this was supposed to take place during the 3rd month. It’s been 1 month, literally 31 days. Oh him sprinkling some white powder near the power strip in one room and spraying a solution around the perimeter of the bedroom rooms. He did treat the sockets, acting up high, or the furniture. Terrible service. And they charge whatever they want then tell after that it was for a service... Orkin is crap. The promotion they a running about "If you still see bugs between treatments we will give you your money back." Lies! But they will charge you. I cancelled it all. I am so dissatisfied with the National brand. They do not deliver what they advertise.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

Here are some of the highlights of my experiences with your London Ontario office. This is how you're being represented in London. Understand I'm talking about multiple agents, and at least one manager.

-Unwanted flirting on multiple occasions; brought up traumatic insemination twice.
    -Cancelled first treatment over a closet 9 feet from my son's bed (they stay within 5 feet of hosts).
    -Told me when I was pretty sure I had 15 bedbugs that it would take 6 months of treatments; that was about 6 months ago and I still have them.
    -Multiple treatments scheduled and prepped for, and then cancelled (seeing bites, bugs and bug poop).
    -Gloves used to apply insecticide left on floor for my cat to find and chew on.
    -2 different items ripped.
    -My mattress across the room, on the floor, had been clear; infested thereafter.
    -Bugs spread and increased in # after most treatments (I was tracking them).
    -Cardboard covered glue trap wedged under my heater, risking fire.
    -Implied I had Cockroaches, and lied about cleanliness and prep I'd done.
    -Applied spores ONLY to baseboards, first time with them; I asked if I should be steaming furniture more than once and was told "no"; "bedbugs travel along baseboards 100% of the time" the agent said, defending his actions.
    -Has cost me $700-800, just including laundry, replacement steamer, bags and bed.

-I recently gave up on my bed, because 2 months after first spores (after other treatments), I still had 10 in it; I bought that this past summer, so I could sleep without pain.

A manager came in, and there was no apology or accountability for things done. Instead, he indicated he thought we'd seen great service. And then he implied that I did not have bedbugs and therefore did not need another treatment. This has been done a few times now: refusing to treat if they don't find a live bug (they hide). Their website boasts that if they need to re-treat, they'll do it for free... The first agent to come here said 6 months, and that has been my experience. 6 months with bedbugs feels like a REALLY long time. It really shouldn't take more than one or two treatments, unless you have a severe infestation.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

After initially working to address the rodent problem we were having, they have missed 6 straight appointments. When they contact me they always say they are sorry and will schedule another appointment but with 6 missed appointments, the rodent problem is coming back. Disappointment does not even start to express what I am feeling.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

I am very dissatisfied with this company. I scheduled an appointment and was given a 3 hour window. Not only did I take time off to make sure I’m available, they NEVER showed up. No phone call alerting me that they could not make it either. This is so unprofessional & a total waste of my time to say the least. To add fuel to the fire, when I called to get a reason why no one showed up, the poor sweet lady apologized & told me the main office closed but she will send a message to the office and they will contact me the next day. For a big company, they should really be ashamed of themselves. Unless you have time on your hands & wouldn’t mind taking a chance wondering if someone would show up or not, if I was you look elsewhere & don’t waste your time. I know my time is valuable as I am a very busy person & on top of it I’m trying to sell my house & get it ready before closing. TOTAL WASTE OF MY TME. YES, I’m very upset.

Orkin Pest Control Company Information