1.27/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Looking for a pest control company?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Orkin Pest Control

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 17, 2017

452 Orkin Pest Control Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I had been an Orkin customer for over 30 years - first 25 no problems - no pests. Last 3-5 years different pest control operators every 2-3 months some clueless. Told them if they keep adjusting my monthly rates higher every 2-3 months I'm out. I finally got tired of new operators and kept saying I'm out - they did not raise my rates still 55/month which was ok- newest ones last two months would make an appointment not show- I would call them day of service ask for a call back to inform them when I would be home or out- no returns calls, no service. Office Girls in Fayetteville, NC were different each time I called- nice but also not well. My last appointment was Saturday between noon and two- left two messages with Mike the operator no return calls no show. Now Tuesday no return calls to reschedule or apologize. This local company was ok once but now terrible- would not use them again if they gave it away.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Yesterday they sprayed for fleas. I did exactly as they said, vacuum, wash sheets, clothes, any fabrics around the house, and picked all things off the floor as well as strip the bed. Came back after the 4-hr wait from them spraying with what looks like a can you buy at Walmart of bug repellent. Fleas did not go away. They are even worse now. I called my local office and they informed me they would send someone out this morning. Well, no one showed. I called the office to figure out what was up, no answer. Hmmm, so I called the main office. They couldn't get in touch with them either. Seems weird. So, I asked if I was under a contract, "Technically you are, but if not satisfied within 30 days, you get your money back." Well, looks like I am unsatisfied and clearly not getting a resolution except getting my money back. Thanks for wasting my Saturday Orkin. I wouldn't recommend them to my enemies.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

It's amazing to see other reviews from all over the country indicating really inferior service! I have a cottage in Maine, which several years ago had a problem with carpenter ants. In fairness to Orkin, they did get that under control and I didn't see ants for several years. But last summer and this past summer, their service has been terrible. Although they have the name and phone number of a person to let them in the cottage in May, they don't bother to call, just come and spray the outside. NOT what I'm paying for!

This past summer was the worst. The technician did a less than complete job and when I mentioned it, he was rude and dismissive. Before I left in August, I called the office to ask then to have someone come and spray while I was there. They made an appointment for 2 days later... I stayed in and waited, but nobody showed. I called again, and they promised to send someone the next day... Again, no one showed. At that point, a friend and I got some spray and sprayed around the house ourselves! Needless to say, I cancelled my service with Orkin. I'm not sure who's more incompetent... The office staff or the technicians!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I requested a quote for extermination services; the guarantee was 30 days. The representative provided checklist of what we needed to do. When it came to signing the contract, the checklist I was asked to sign was different. Wouldn't that void our contract if I didn't follow the signed checklist? Oh no! I didn't feel comfortable with the price, it was very expensive for a 30 day guarantee. I messaged Orkin and told him that. He said: Hello Mrs. **. At this point I would have no choice but to lower the price for you. With it being so late, we would take a loss on a day that was a". Yep, word for word. I have contacted the company twice without response. Save your money and time and find a professional. ORKIN IS NOT PROFESSIONAL.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I had a disastrous experience with an Orkin exterminator last Thursday, I live in Newman Village in Richmond, Va. They have a contract with Orkin. I don't and didn't have any pest. NONE! At all! He only sprayed the kitchen. I had the spray done only as a preventative measure. After he left (that night) in the wee hours, I got up for a glass of water. A swarm of fruit flies hit my face! To my surprise they were in a huge pile in the refrigerator! They were in a large pile in the freezer! They were dead in the freezer!

I had to throw all my fresh fruit and vegetables away. I am a senior on a fixed income and over half of my groceries were destroyed. The rental office assistant Becky ** that sent him says she doesn't know who he is! To add insult to injury she sent Orkin back today! Of course I didn't let them in. They tried to turn it around on me saying I must be had some spoiled fruit or something being the fridge. I explained to them my husband pulled the fridge from against the wall and it was clean! I got up at 5:30 am this morning cleaning them up and throwing away food!

There are several reviews on Orkin stating theory deposited eggs in homes of insects! Obviously a lot of their employees are dishonest! and don't have a conscience. This man played a cruel joke! I have been cleaning my refrigerator daily (since Thursday) off and on wiping up fruit flies! Spraying my kitchen and cleaning and more cleaning. Throwing away more food that flies contaminated! They are nowhere else in my house! Only in the kitchen where he sprayed on the side of the refrigeration. I have contacted several agencies trying to find out who this man is. I contacted ** , the Service Manager in an effort to try to identify this man. This is immoral and reckless behavior because it can get someone sick!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orkin?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

We recently called Orkin after discovering we had a roach problem. Having never had to deal with a bug problem before, we called what we thought was the leading exterminators in our area. We were quoted an initial price and was told we needed to go to huge lengths, such as clearing out cupboards, putting everything onto the kitchen table, and covering everything with sheets due to the extensive spraying the would need to do. They also told us to be out of the house for 4 to 6 hours after the treatment. We followed all the directions and paid for a motel room as I have extreme health issues, just to be safe.

The technician showed up almost an hour late for our appointment, told us we didn't have to leave, nor did we have to go to the extent of preparation they had told us we needed to do. We questioned all of what we were now being told. He didn't do an extensive spray treatment, stating that he didn't have the supplies on his truck to do so. He did, however spray the front door and a few other spots and set bait traps. We had to call them back 4 days later because the roaches were worse than before they came. We let them know about it and they said that the tech would be sent back to our house at around noon the same day we called. Once again, no tech showed up when they said he would. By this point we were thoroughly disgusted and felt robbed by this company. We ended up canceling Orkin completely and calling another exterminator. We would never use them or refer them to anyone ever.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

In March of 2017 I contacted Orkin with a bedbug outbreak. They came and claimed they treated everything correctly. After, 5 visits and $1300 We are looking for other alternatives because we are still having a problem with them. Very displeased with the service they claim to provide. The supervisor told us a correct treatment should take about an hour. We had cameras in our house and all 5 times was 20 minutes or less in a 4 bedroom home. We also, had to throw away our furniture due to them saying the eggs were hatching because they couldn't spray all areas of furniture. So on top of paying 1300 we also have to buy new furniture if we can ever get this situation taken care of.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I have lived in my house for 12 years. We never had roach problems. I started using Orkin because we had scorpions (Texas). We were very satisfied with results of their service and decrease in scorpions. Then about a year ago we started seeing roaches. We complain about roaches all the time and we are still seeing them. They have a new technician every time and this problem is still not fixed.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I called Orkin Pest Control in the past 2 days to set up an appointment for Friday 8-18-17 from 8am-10am. When I called it was explained to me that the service would be every other month, $99.00 a month starting this month for 6 months. I asked was there a contract, the agent said, "No try us out for 6 months. If you like us we'll go from there." I gave him my credit card to start advised he would not be charged until after the first treatment.

The rep shows up at 9:44 am, with about 3 or 4 forms tells me before he gets started I need to sign all these documents and the 1 year contract. I advised him "That is not what I was told over the phone", and felt I was mislead and given false information. The agent apologized and said "This is why I go over this before I start the work", seems this has happened before. I wasted my time for this. This sort of flip/flop cannot be legal and assuming a technique they use to get people to sign stressing about their bud issues. I really disappointed. I thought this was a good company, I was wrong, I guess anything to take your money.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I called in and asked a question about a previous account with my ex-husband. Both names was on the account. If it was time to spray the house or yard, my name was on the account as well as cell phone. Now that we are divorced and I ask that office about the account she tell me my name is not on the account. Sometimes it's not what you say, simply how you say it. All I truly wanted to know was if it was time to pay again. Too bad now I'm taking my money elsewhere for services.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I called the call center and requested info on having my home sprayed for fleas. I ask about treating the yard and I was told that they do treat the yard. I even said: Even if I live in a townhouse- She said yes. I explain the area that I was wanting to have treated outside- I was told yes. They will treat area. Rep called morning of and cancel which I was not happy- Called him back and he did come out. I found out when he arrived that they do not treat yards and was told, "The call center will tell you anything to get us out here." Will not have them back. Very disappointed with service. At this time can't say if treatment killed fleas but seeing what he did I would say NOPE.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I have had issues with Orkin for so long with them constantly! I'm so furious with Orkin! Numerous times they have skipped our spraying which we are suppose to get every 3 months!! Last month we didn't get a spray but got the receipt of our house being sprayed! So I called and asked them how did I get a receipt when my house hasn't been sprayed and they replied with “the guy sprayed all the outside”... which is a total lie!! I have 2 German shepherds that aren't fond of strangers so I know for a fact he didn't spray!!!

And let me mention that my bill is TO BE SENT IN THE MAIL because I do not allow them to withdraw because they have screwed me over so many times in the past by not doing it when it was due and instead earlier and throwing me in overdraft!! So I have called so many times for them not to have permission to withdraw at all!! Anyways back to them not spraying, I called and told them I needed to schedule a spraying because I still hadn't gotten my spraying for the 3 months!!! I called 4 times and never got a call back so I told them “Forget it I'm not gonna pay for something I'm not getting!!!” I look at my bank and they withdrew a payment without my consent!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

They come to my house every 4 months. They are to call to confirm and I will tell them where or if I have any special places I need help in. I have been working 84 hrs weeks and they tried calling me on Monday and there was no answer so they showed up on Tuesday. I would think that if you don't get any answer you would not do the job because there will be special instruction. They showed up did the job on the outside of my house not even knowing if I wanted them to do it. I would think they would want confirmation before they do the job. I am done with this every 4 months they just show up whether you tell them or not. I will only call them if I have a problem. I am done with them on this maintenance they will take advantage of you.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I have flesh flies in my house. I had them last year at this time too. I called to have someone come out on Monday. It's now Thursday and no one has called or come out. I was advised by customer care that they would be in touch with the service man in my area, and he would reach out to me to provide a quote or come take a look. No response. No follow-up. Nothing. Very poor customer service. Will never try this company again.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I made a contract with Orkin Dallas, TX. The initial home visit the Technician Rodney stated that he could not verify the type of bugs that were biting me. However, after three service visits and charges, Rodney informed me that I had "bed bug." Per Rodney, he does not do services for "bed bug." According to Rodney, that service is a separate service and will inquire separate fees.

I called Orkin's Customer Service questioning then what Rodney had informed me. I could not understand why he waited and allowed me to continue paying for services that has not resolve my pest control issues. I asked to speak to a manager. Instead, I was allowed to leave a contact number. I waited for two days. I finally decided to call Orkin Customer Service back and this time I was not very happy. I received a call back from " John." I explained my concerns to "John." John informed me that it was "impossible for him to get to me today." however, will try.

Now mind you I am still experiencing discomfort with the biting. Nevertheless, I had to wait an entire weekend with this discomfort. In fact, "John" did not come to my home until late afternoon on Tuesday. Well, after "John" looked he took samples and he too didn't know what type of bugs, but for sure it was not bed bugs. "John" informed me that he would take my samples to be analyzed and would get back to me one day next week. Meanwhile, he suggested that I call my doctor to get a prescription or use some over the counter medication.

I followed his suggestion. I waited for "John" to call me back. Instead, I end up call him. Again, I had to leave a call back number. When I received a call from John he tells me that I have "Mite." But, he not going to provide me with service that not need. Per "John" I just feeling old bug bites. I am so upset. First they didn't know what type of bugs that were biting, second I was told that I had "bed bugs" and the service for that will cost me extra fees, and third l feel I have been given the runaround. And, the bugs keep biting!

Original review: July 30, 2017

Sorry this is lengthy, but it's the truth of what we've been through with this horrendous company. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment with my husband and son, we have a cockroach problem which has been getting worse for some time. The owner of the building uses Orkin. Now, when we moved in, we rarely saw roaches, but over the last year or two the problem has progressively gotten worse and this company does nothing to solve the problem. They would never call and let anyone know when they were coming out so I could never pull my furniture away from the wall, WHAT GOOD IS IT GOING TO DO IF YOU ONLY HIT TWO feet of wall in each room?!

He also said it was safe for us to stay here during and after he sprays which wasn't true. Then when we complained enough and he started to let us know when he's coming out, he wouldn't show up or call anyone to reschedule. When he finally did come out, I asked him to spray my kitchen cabinets, he began spraying while I'm in the kitchen still (I am 5 months pregnant btw) and then we were actually told we need to leave for a few hours. I was told to vacuum up bodies and egg sacks the next few days and I did, but he also said we could not wipe out our cabinets and just put a cabinet liner down between the poison and dishes which I knew wasn't correct information. I know to let it sit and dry, I'm not stupid, but to not wipe it out? Really?! My cabinets were covered in roach feces! I have to wipe them out!

Then the next time he comes out, I'm not home and he tells my husband's he told me to clear out ALL of my cabinets again or what he does will be useless! No he never told me that and he would have never sprayed the cabinets in the first place unless I told him. He also told my husband that it's an ongoing battle and it's going to take him multiple times to get rid of them, keep in mind every time he is here the roaches aren't dying, they're just getting high, so I know this guy is watering down his solution so much that it isn't doing anything!

The buildings next to us use a private company and my sister in law lives in one, her roach problem was worse than ours, but after one spray from the other company, she never saw another roach in her apartment again and all of the buildings on our block are roach free except for ours who has Orkin on the job! I'm sick of it. I've taken it up with the owner and I hope he will do something, but I also let the owner know they were ripping him off, telling him they were coming out to spray and charging him, but nobody was showing up. I'll never recommend them to anyone ever, it has been a nightmare of lies, ** and an apartment still full of nasty roaches! I'd give them zero stars if I could.

Original review: July 27, 2017

Orkin man knocked on my door said nobody home, Wrong. My wife was at home at the back of my house when he knocked, My wife had POLIO and walks slower and he knows that. He said he sprayed the outside, put pellets down for ants and pay for indoor and outdoor service. Charged me $77.00. Said he was here 27 min, Most likely he was here for a lot less time than that. Did not get permission to start the work. Who signed his tablet that gave him the right to DRAW MONEY OUT OF MY BANK ACCOUNT!!! What is the word for FOR SIGNING SOMEBODY ELSE'S NAME WITHOUT HIS OR HER PERMISSION?? I called main office. She said the branch Manager will call me. HA HA HA HA big laugh. No phone call. I gave her my email address. You're right. No email.

Original review: July 25, 2017

This is my first experience with Orkin. I called to inquire about applying a pesticide to our yard to get rid of a certain pest and the representative was extremely rude when I told him that I would like to discuss the quote with my husband before we agreed to schedule an appointment to have our yard treated. I'm so glad we decided to have our yard treated by another company - first impressions mean everything!!!

Original review: July 19, 2017

I bought a wicker headboard and dresser from flea market and brought home bedbugs. Called Orkin and they came and did heat treatment and spray was very nice. Bugman did great job and they return every 4 months but have not had anymore problems since first treatment. Was expensive but no more than the rest I had called for help. I was so desperate and they really made me feel like they cared. Nothing but good to say about them.

Original review: July 10, 2017

I received a call from Orkin on Monday, July 3, stating that I had a balance of $150.00. I explained to the representative that I was unable to speak with them at the moment and asked them to give me a call in about an hour. The representative said okay; but never called back. I realized this morning that I never received a call back so I called I called them back to take care of the balance owed.

At that time, I was told that my account was sent to collections on June 30, because Frank, the manager said that he called me on June 24 and that my phone was disconnected which was not true. I have a house phone with voicemail and a cell phone, which was given to Orkin when I signed up for service over a year ago. I never received a call from Frank and my service was never disconnected on either phone. This makes me unhappy because this can potentially go on my credit report. I have been with Orkin for over a year and this is how you do business. So not good.

Original review: June 29, 2017

I thought Orkin was a reputable company until I called them to set up a pest control appointment. They insisted that I give them my credit card number before I could schedule. Now I know why. This company is a scam. They charged my card for services that I did not receive. On the initial appointment that I scheduled received a call that the technician would not be there because he was in a minor accident. On the second appointment to complete what was not done on the first appointment when I waited for 3 hours to be told they did not come because I cancelled the appointment. The treatment they did for the pest on initial visit was a total failure. Do not do business with this company.

Original review: June 25, 2017

Orkin came out said he sprayed whole yard, very large price in my opinion. Said to give it a week. I got bit from fire ants before he came out. Got bit again a few days after he came out. I emailed him, he came and sprayed again, supposed to be guaranteed for 30 days. The ants never really went away at all. Didn't bother to call him again. Only a half acre yard. Don't go by the reputation of Orkin. Not the least bit effective with ant pests.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I am very disappointed in the service. For one they state my home is serviced quarterly. What a JOKE. The last time my home was serviced was September 2016 and the technician didn't even have a ladder to complete the service. I endured the whole winter with mice. Thanks to them and they showed up in March and now again June 7th I was home all day, no one was here. Explained that and they said they have a work order for exterior services from 2:12 until 2:37. I pay a $160 quarterly for 25 minute services. What rip off.

Original review: June 11, 2017

I've been using Orkin for about 8 months, and I have had nothing but excellent experience with them. My technician has always been on time, courteous, immaculate, and has always taking care of my home. If I ever had a problem, he came right back with no questions asked. I wouldn't go anywhere else. Is knowledgeable and answer any questions that I might have.

Original review: May 30, 2017

Recently bought a house. The sellers were in contract with Orkin regarding pre existing termites. Orkin never came back out to check! There was damage the seller had to pay for. Well, we just had Envirotech come out. Guess what? Termites are still there! They treated ONE portion of the house - not the whole thing! This company is JOKE!!! DO NOT USE.

Original review: May 27, 2017

We found tiny white bugs in our house after a dog was outside in our garden. We called Orkin as they just provided us with a treatment a few days ago. The technician "thought" the bugs were lice which I found hard to believe but was told that Orkin doesn't treat for lice. Well it turns out that the little bugs were aphids and not lice - great call Orkin man!!! I will be asking for my money back and cancelling further treatments from a company with untrained technicians. Scare averted but wow completely different treatments. Don't use the Harrisburg area technicians or the local customer service - very poor on both ends.

Original review: May 23, 2017

I called Orkin to set up a time for them to come out to my residence last Thursday (5-18-17) and they said they would be by between 2-4pm. Around 4:15-4:20pm no one from Orkin has shown up or even called to inform me of the situation. I called Orkin to see what the problem was and they said one of their employees quit. I told them that that was unfortunate, but why would no one contact me to inform me of the situation, since I took off work to meet at the arranged time. The rep said she was sorry and re-scheduled for the following Tuesday, yet the interesting thing is a rep called me on Monday and said they were on their way out to see me, to which I told them it was supposed to be for the next day. I went ahead and left work once again. Long story short Orkin's price was $2k over 5 other quotes and with their sub-standard customer service/time management, I would highly NOT recommend using Orkin.

Original review: May 15, 2017

I recently called the Orkin man to treat my house for roaches. As embarrassing as it is, they told me the first 2 treatments would initially cost 140 dollars or something and 70 for any other trips after. On the second trip they decided to charge my credit card for 70 dollars and sent another man out to tell me I had termites! He gave me some ridiculous estimate. That's where my problem started, from that point on we no longer had roaches but my daughters were getting bitten by something in the night. The original Orkin man came back for a final treatment to guarantee the roaches were gone and I showed him my daughter's arm. He said it was bed bug bites and that he would get back to me, which he never did.

Anyway, my concern is that I find it really ironic how they treated me for roaches and as soon as they were gone I get bed bugs? That to me seems like one heck of a coincidence, but more likely a setup! I have a certain feeling that while treating my house for the roaches they purposely infested my house with a pest that is much more difficult to get rid of without professional help! Granted I have no proof and this is all speculations but come on. In the world that we live in it makes perfect sense to me that they would protect their interests and try to force me to come back to their service! I left a complaint with their customer care and I highly doubt they actually care!! I am very displeased and would have highly recommended them to my friends but not now!!!

Original review: May 9, 2017

We were charged in the beginning $640.00, then $85.00 per quarter. This has been going on for three years and we trusted them to do the right thing. Never Trust Anyone. Cancelled our contract with Orkin... had a state pesticide inspector check our house. Right inside the crawl space there was a termite tunnel from the ground up into the floor joists. Will have to replace four or more of the floor joists. If Orkin was doing what they said they would do, why do we still have termites and are going to have to replace boards under our house? CON. They get the chemicals for free from Dow Chemicals so what are we paying for? Thieves in a white coat. Contract CANCELLED. Lawyer time.

Original review: May 6, 2017

Please read this review before you use this company. I went with this company based on the price and their willingness to complete services on weekends. I was 100% satisfied with the first visit Orkin paid. This is were my satisfaction ended. We thought we had mice in our attic, it turns out it was a bat based on the feedback from the Orkin rep. He also knocked down the hornet nest as well per our request.

Late summer quickly turned to winter in Minnesota. I understand we agreed to fine follow-up sessions, but the rep called two days prior to his arrival and always left a voice mail stating he was could to show up and to call him back if it was problem. I cannot take time off with only a two day advance notice! I am certainly not going to leave my house open for the rep to just walk in.

The services they offered were a joke. In January and February the rep claimed he walked around our house and spray for rodents and insects. He also claimed he knocked down old spider webs and bees nests. It is Minnesota!!! What insects are you spraying for? They all are dead!!! Additionally, you certainly should not be knocking down old webs and nests in the winter... What were you doing in prior months that I PAID YOU FOR? All insects have been dead for months... There could not possibly be new nests or webs in the middle of winter. What a waste of money.

This company apparently has a billing system that is not from this century. I was told simply because I did not sign up for the auto payment method, it means I don't get a bill in the mail until my account was 60-90 days past due. I should not need to beg this company to send me a bill in order for me to pay them. Even after I called to get this resolved, it continued to happen.

The one time I was even able to get the time off to accommodate the rep coming to my house, it came in and started spraying chemical INSIDE MY HOUSE. I did not ask him to do this nor was ok with it. But what was I suppose to do... He just started spraying and never asked for my permission??? Who knows if this was even a healthy chemical to spray indoors... Please look locally before agreeing to use Orkin.

Orkin expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Orkin is one of the most popular and largest pest control companies in the world. The company serves businesses and residential property owners both across the country and internationally.

• Company reputation: Orkin is known as one of the leading experts in pest control. The company is more than 113 years old.
    • Variety of services: Orkin offers a variety of pest control services, including termites, bed bugs, rodents, ants, roaches, spiders, scorpions, bees, ticks, mosquitoes, and more.
    • Location of company: Orkin has locations across the world, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, Central America, South America, the Middle East, Asia, the Mediterranean, Africa, the Caribbean, and Australia, so it’s a convenient option for customers across the world.
    • Service: Because Orkin exists across the world, it’s hard to depend on consistent customer service. Representatives from location to location may differ due to different regional challenges, different managers, etc.
    • Scheduling: Customers who need quick service from Orkin may experience delays and long wait times when trying to book an appointment.
    • Best for: Landlords of large residential buildings, single-family homeowners, apartment & condo owners, commercial property owners
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs