3.3/5 (22 ratings)

About Cove

Since 2018, Cove has been delivering world-class security and life-safety solutions to their customers. Monitoring is $14.99. No contracts. $0 upfront costs available. Get all the benefits of professional grade security at the cost of a DIY system. Customize your system to protect your home like a hero with Cove's DIY home security. Simple setup. Safe in minutes. Try Cove risk-free today!

Pros

• 60-day trial
  • No contracts
  • Minutes for DIY install

Cons

• No doorbell camera

Bottom Line

Cove’s affordable DIY-installed security systems include a 60-day trial. We wish the company had more equipment options, but the pros outweigh the cons with this nimble business.

Top Cove Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Every experience I have had with Cove has been fantastic. Customer service is amazing, and they are always willing to go the extra mile for their users. I can't imagine having ano...

Verified

The overall experience with Cove has been great … Great customer service, great security performance... I know it works because the various alarms have been triggered and it was a...

How does Cove security work?

Cove, a home security business founded in 2018, provides a DIY security system that takes about 30 minutes to install. The company offers a 60-day trial for its products, which is one of the longest trial periods in the industry. Cove doesn't lock customers into long-term contracts like some other companies. Its Basic plan costs just $14.99, making it one of the cheapest monitoring plans available, though you must buy the equipment to receive that price. Cove has a 24-hour shipping policy that gets your new home security to your home just one day after ordering.

Cove security cost

Cove's security service costs between $14.99 and $34.99 a month, depending on the plan and whether you pay for equipment upfront. You can cancel at any time. If you financed your equipment and decide to cancel, you are required to finish paying for it. Otherwise, you're off the hook.

Basic planValue plan
With money down on equipment$14.99/mo$24.99/mo
With no money down on equipment$24.99/mo$34.99/mo

Cove security plans

Cove has two plans, the Basic plan and the Value plan. The Basic plan comes with 24/7 monitoring, InstaText, LiveAssist, cellular service and a one-year equipment warranty. The Value plan includes everything in the Basic plan plus a mobile app that allows you to arm and disarm your system, receive alerts and monitor your system remotely.

Beyond the basic features of each plan, Cove has highly customizable packages that let you pick and choose the equipment and features you prefer. You can go online to choose the best system for you — the company has a questionnaire to help you decide.

Cove security equipment

Cove's equipment comes with a lifetime warranty. Each Cove package includes a wireless tablet with a touch-screen panel that serves as the brains of the system. You can also have up to 20 user codes if you have multiple users. Additional equipment you can purchase from Cove includes:

• Indoor camera ($99)
  • Outdoor camera ($199)
  • Flood sensor ($20)
  • Door sensors ($15)
  • Motion sensors ($30)
  • Smoke Detector ($30)
  • Carbon monoxide detector ($50)
  • Window sensors ($15)
  • Glass break detector ($35)

Cove security FAQ

Does Cove have an app?
Yes. Cove has mobile apps for Apple and Android. The Cove security app lets you monitor your Cove system from the palm of your hand and includes the ability to watch live footage from security cameras. The apps are only available with a premium subscription, however.
Can Cove send notifications to my phone?
It can. Cove’s InstaText functionality sends security alerts to your phone.
Does Cove have a free trial?
Cove has a 60-day free trial, which is twice as long as the 30-day trial that is standard among most home security companies.
How do I install Cove?
Cove's wireless setup is simple. Follow the instructions on the touch panel, which guides you through the installation process. Cove touts an average installation time of just 27 minutes.

Do we recommend Cove security?

We recommend Cove's home security systems for their affordability, customization options and straightforward DIY setup. It's also convenient the company doesn't require a long-term contract like many other home security companies, and Cove's 60-day trial is a perk we don't see often. Cove is a good home alarm security company that steps up in areas where other home security companies have traditionally let consumers down.

Cove Reviews

Original review: July 1, 2021

I have been very pleased with the Cove Security System. It is a very easy system to learn & use. I feel so much safer having it. It is a very affordable system for those of us on a fixed income & gives me the security that I was hoping for. Your product is awesome.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 22, 2021

We bought three cameras from Cove. Two are wireless outside cameras and one is an inside camera that requires a power source. One of the wireless cameras works perfectly, the other keeps losing its connection and I have to spend about 15 minutes rescanning the QR code to get it to work for a few hours. One other minor irritant. We were supposed to get a lawn sign and stickers to put on the windows. We did get the lawn sign, but there were no stickers. We did get some magnets which are pretty well useless because obviously they won't stick to a window.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

After researching several systems, money was a factor, Cove gave us the best options for the buck. We still love our Cove system. Installation was a breeze and simple. Their response time are extremely fast. Even with Covid-19 financial issues, they have worked with us since the beginning without monthly payments. They have way more than helpful. I'd recommend Cove over any other system I've had.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

Easily installed. Customer service, when setting up the security system was excellent. Keyboard easy to navigate. Push the buttons slowly. You have the option to receive a verbal notification whenever a door or window is open. The camera works well. However it requires a membership to a cloud service when saving video.

Original review: July 1, 2021

If a door is opened and the alarm sounds, canceling the alarm doesn't help prevent a phone call from Cove, or worse, police showing up at my door. They just don't get it and I've called them repeatedly about NOT calling or worse sending police in if an alarm is canceled promptly. It's frustrating when you have kids that make mistakes and you have to keep doing this and they promise to update their system, but nothing changes. I owned security systems for many years, and I've never had this problem before until now. The system otherwise is good and works fine. It's the company that seems to use off-shore representatives and can't get things done right.

Original review: March 9, 2021

I purchased a cove system about 8 months ago and at the time was residing in a leased townhouse and checked with owners before ordering and installing the system. Don't get me wrong, the system is diy and super easy to install. It worked like it was supposed to and the monthly cost was cheap. Overall, I don't have anything bad to say about the system and the operation of the system, that gets 5 stars.

They don't allow you to cancel the service. They are not understanding and because of the pandemic, I was not working so attempted to cancel before the payments got behind and they told me that I was outside of the 60 day return of equipment period and I was pretty much stuck with the equipment that I now had to pay for. They weren't accommodating at all and they are not willing to provide a document of what is owed if you want to cancel your service. They continued to charge my card and now I owe my card company $150.00. Just be careful if an unforeseen situation arises and you want to cancel or no longer able to use the system.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2021

I purchased this alarm in June, 2020. Since day one I have had nothing but problems. I have spent hours on the phone with their tech support and customer service to no avail. They have dragged it to where they now say they won’t refund my money. The issues I have had are - multiple false alarms to the point the police will charge me if they come back out, sensors not working, tablet part replaced and still doesn’t work correctly, smoke alarm goes off every time the alarm is set and so does the glass break sensor. I’m not done with this company yet. My lawyer is taking over at this point and we are also calling the FCC and the NC Attorney General. Take my advice and never buy from this company. Their equipment and customer service are junk. You will be disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

I got Cove because it offered me a really cheap subscription and after doing some research online I decided to take the risk on this new company. The customer reviews seemed good, but I've only had it a couple of months. The customer service is fine and the installation was a cinch.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

Like many of the good and bad reviewers, I was drawn into getting Cove security for my home based on positive reviews and their pricing. Cove also assured me that by June they would be offering their own monitoring camera, doorbell camera and a Verizon sim card to replace the AT&T sim card. This was all good news to me and one of the deciding factors in my choosing to go with Cove, unfortunately it was all a pack of lies and nothing more than a bait and switch scheme by a company who is big on promises but weak on quality and service. Beginning in April 2020, my Cove system would repeatedly and continuously go offline. Unfortunately AT&T is the carrier Cove has chosen to use as their data company, and it has the worst service in my neighborhood.

As of this afternoon, my system has been offline for an entire day now, which means there is nobody at Cove monitoring the security of my house. So what good is a "security" company that can't guarantee their clients reliable 24/7 monitoring of their home? And when I spoke to their Tech Support agent, his response was a cavalier, "Well cancel your service if you're not happy, but don't expect a refund from us because it's past your 60 day trial." I almost half expected him to add a snickering "sucker" to his comment. What a huge disappointment Cove has turned out to be. Trust in your home security company is huge because these are the people you are putting your faith in to keep your home safe. Cove promised they would monitor my home 24/7, they promised a monitor camera, they promised a doorbell camera and they promised me a Verizon sim card, they broke all of these promises and ripped me off.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

We came from ADT. If I could leave a zero-star review, I would. Literally the worst alarm system ever made. We purchased the equipment outright and since day one had nothing but issues. Troubleshooted, false alarm after false alarm every single time without fail that we left the house. We wanted to return the hardware, but were out of the 2 month grace period. 5 months in, after losing all faith and being frustrated from our dog now having PTSD from the machine we wanted a refund of their faulty, poorly designed, defective system. Their response was that it was MY fault I didn't call sooner. Hours on the phone wasted, service from AT&T would completely drop out rendering the system useless. Save your money, save your time and go with someone else. Anyone else. Really.

Cove Company Information