2.7/5 (36 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About Cove

Since 2018, Cove has been delivering world-class security and life-safety solutions to their customers. Monitoring starts at $15 a month. No contracts. $0 upfront costs available. Get all the benefits of professional grade security at the cost of a DIY system. Customize your system to protect your home like a hero with Cove's DIY home security. Simple setup. Safe in minutes. Try Cove risk-free today!

Pros

• 60-day trial
  • No contracts
  • Minutes for DIY install

Cons

• No doorbell camera

Bottom Line

Cove’s affordable DIY-installed security systems include a 60-day trial. We wish the company had more equipment options, but the pros outweigh the cons with this nimble business.

Top Cove Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Every experience I have had with Cove has been fantastic. Customer service is amazing, and they are always willing to go the extra mile for their users. I can't imagine having ano...

Verified

The overall experience with Cove has been great … Great customer service, great security performance... I know it works because the various alarms have been triggered and it was a...

How does Cove security work?

Cove, a home security business founded in 2018, provides a DIY security system that takes about 30 minutes to install. The company offers a 60-day trial for its products, which is one of the longest trial periods in the industry. Cove doesn't lock customers into long-term contracts like some other companies. Its Basic plan costs just $15 per month, making it one of the cheapest monitoring plans available, though you must buy the equipment to receive that price. Cove has a 24-hour shipping policy that gets your new home security to your home just one day after ordering.

Cove security cost

Cove's security service costs from $15 per month to $24.99 per month if you purchase the equipment upfront. You can cancel at any time. If you financed your equipment and decide to cancel, you are required to finish paying for it. Otherwise, you're off the hook.

Basic planValue plan
With money down on equipment$14.99/mo$24.99/mo
With no money down on equipment$24.99/mo$34.99/mo

Cove security plans

Cove has two plans, the Basic plan and the Value plan. The Basic plan comes with 24/7 monitoring, InstaText, LiveAssist, cellular service and a one-year equipment warranty. The Value plan includes everything in the Basic plan plus a mobile app that allows you to arm and disarm your system, receive alerts and monitor your system remotely.

Beyond the basic features of each plan, Cove has highly customizable packages that let you pick and choose the equipment and features you prefer. You can go online to choose the best system for you — the company has a questionnaire to help you decide.

Cove security equipment

Cove's equipment comes with a lifetime warranty. Each Cove package includes a wireless tablet with a touch-screen panel that serves as the brains of the system. You can also have up to 20 user codes if you have multiple users. Additional equipment you can purchase from Cove includes:

• Indoor camera ($99)
  • Outdoor camera ($199)
  • Flood sensor ($20)
  • Door sensors ($15)
  • Motion sensors ($30)
  • Smoke Detector ($30)
  • Carbon monoxide detector ($50)
  • Window sensors ($15)
  • Glass break detector ($35)

Cove security FAQ

Does Cove have an app?
Yes. Cove has mobile apps for Apple and Android. The Cove security app lets you monitor your Cove system from the palm of your hand and includes the ability to watch live footage from security cameras. The apps are only available with a premium subscription, however.
Can Cove send notifications to my phone?
It can. Cove’s InstaText functionality sends security alerts to your phone.
Does Cove have a free trial?
Cove has a 60-day free trial, which is twice as long as the 30-day trial that is standard among most home security companies.
How do I install Cove?
Cove's wireless setup is simple. Follow the instructions on the touch panel, which guides you through the installation process. Cove touts an average installation time of just 27 minutes.

Do we recommend Cove security?

We recommend Cove's home security systems for their affordability, customization options and straightforward DIY setup. It's also convenient the company doesn't require a long-term contract like many other home security companies, and Cove's 60-day trial is a perk we don't see often. Cove is a good home alarm security company that steps up in areas where other home security companies have traditionally let consumers down.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cove?

Original review: June 18, 2022

I tried to turn off the monitoring. However, there is no way to make the panel randomly and loudly announcing "Panel Communication Failure" unless I pay to reconnect my system to monitoring. Customer support confirmed this.

Hello Edward,

Thank you for leaving a review. We are sorry to hear about your experience with your services. Our panels are designed with monitoring in mind, though you can still arm and disarm the system, and the siren will trigger in the event of a sensor getting tripped. If you cancel that monitoring service, it will report that the panel has lost communication and advise you to contact us. We hope this information helps but feel free to contact us if you have any other questions or concerns.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2022

Very bad in solving the problems. You need to call multiple times for same kind of issues. Mostly issues starts happening after 60 days we buys, so after 60 days they don't care about customer satisfaction or solving the problems (only try to act like nice get reviews after finish call). So if any customer wants refund after 60 days, they say your 60 days trial period is over now they cannot give refund. Then what's the reason for taking security service for your home when you don't receive any network or notifications. Another I see bad about cove is that, they reply to our review and say someone contact soon but nobody make call or even try to solve the problem.

Hello Joyeb,

Thank you for leaving a review. We are sorry for the many difficulties you have encountered with our support team and your equipment. We had a supervisor reach out. She called multiple times, but she was unable to find you. We wish we could've provided a better solution to make things right. We verified that your account was already canceled and that you will get a full refund. We have sent an email tocontinue following up and make sure we get everything taken care of.

Original review: June 8, 2022

After purchasing the equipment had no issues. Once the cellular towers switched from 3g to 4g or whatever it is called system has not worked. Would set alarm from app and continuously would say communication error. With that being said I called Cove to ask what the problem is and they stated it has been an ongoing issue. In layman's term it means the alarm is not synced to the monitoring company. If the alarm is not synced to the monitoring company and somebody breaks in the police won't be notified. In order to troubleshoot the system you need to be in front of the panel. How does Cove expect for you to be in front of the panel to troubleshoot it when you are on vacation. Please do your due diligence and shop around. Being forewarned.

Hello Andrew!

We are sorry to hear that you encountered this issue with your system. We had a supervisor reach out to you and we will take care of issuing a full refund. We are sad to see you go, and we wish we could have a better solution for you to make things work. We want to make sure your voice is heard as we continue to improve. Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: May 24, 2022

Started off great. Easy set-up and everything worked as advertised. Less than a month later, some of the sensors started to trip for no reasons. Had to order replacements for them. Then, the panel stopped working correctly. The second they switched their cellular provider, it would no longer connect. I called 5 different times in which a technician would simply tell me to reset the panel. I would, it would work for 5 minutes, I would get off the phone, and it would stop working.

Finally they ordered me a replacement. That was 2 months ago and I am still without a panel. My security system doesn't work without it, so my system has been rendered useless for 2 months. I've called customer service on 3 separate occasions, only to reach an outsourced call-center in India, in which the operators are trying their best, but only have limited options. The only thing keeping me with Cove right now is the expensive initial investment, but as the system has been rendered useless for 2 months, I see no reason to continue using the company.

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for letting us know about your experience. We are really sorry that you've been waiting for a replacement panel for over a month. We always want to put our customers first, and we apologize that we fell short this time. Due to worldwide shipping issues we've experienced a shortage in our panel inventory, leading us to take more time than expected. We are working hard to fulfill these orders and we want to make sure we are taking care of this situation for you. We will have a supervisor reach out to take care of all your concerns. Thank you.

Original review: May 20, 2022

I had my Cove smart security system professionally installed. They weren't able to use any parts from my previous system, so it was all brand new. It worked for 6 months. The panel broke, so I sent it back, they assured me a replacement would arrive in a week. 6 weeks passed, I made many phone calls, all of which were answered by cheerful, well mannered people who could not get their job done (provide the customer with a security system that works). Finally a new panel arrived, unfortunately not one that worked. While I was traveling I received at least 7 notifications every day about various parts of the system not communicating, not working. I sent it back as soon as I returned home, they assured me they would replace it. I just waited 18 days, no panel has arrived, so canceled the worst service of any kind I have ever paid for. Do yourself a favor and don't get a Cove Security System.

C H,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, though we are saddened to hear of your experience. We would love to get more detail from you and see if there's anything we can do to make this right. If you could please reply back with your contact information, we will have a supervisor reach out and address these needs. I'm sorry to hear the service didn't work out for you. Allow us a chance to help address these concerns.

Original review: March 31, 2022

Used their service for 11 months then our panel died. Went blank. Ordered a replacement from customer service and they send a piece of plastic not the panel replacement. Call them back. They say it's backordered which is a lie (they went from AT&T to Verizon). You can order a new panel on website and get shipping confirmation in 1 day. I've waited 47 days and still no replacement panel. Service reps lie to you. You can hear them in background saying "let's go on break - he can wait hahaha" then 31 mins later on hold rep comes back and says in 7 days I will see my replacement panel.

Well 10 days passes. I call to inquire. They say it was never processed. Again I tell my issues and then I get a confirmation email. Then I wait 11 more days. Still never received Shipping confirmation - I call back to be told March 12th 2022 that it's the warehouse issue and they can't contact the warehouse. (It's next door - so a lie!) I just have to wait for the backlog to ease and in 7 days I will see my replacement panel - well March 30th 2022 still no replacement. In meantime they're still billing me even though my system is broken.

Cove response

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We are saddened to hear about your experience and having to wait so long for a replacement panel and the handling of the agents you spoke with. We will be providing coaching and a supervisor will be reaching out to you with an update regarding the status of your panel replacement order request.

Original review: March 27, 2022

Purchased Cove Home Security System Feb. 2, 2022 and contacted Cove Feb. 4, 2022 for Alarm Permit required by County I live in which Cove agreed to provide within 30 days. Today is March 26, 2022 and still no Alarm Permit. I have followed up several times by phone and email and while representatives are cordial there has been no resolution to this point. I have contacted BBB for assistance in resolving this matter and Cove has not yet responded.

Coincidentally or not, you decide, the same day the BBB contacted Cove, the notifications on the App stopped working. In addition, the alarm was tripped by accident one time when I forgot to disarm it when opening a door. There was no response other than a text. They are supposed to be live monitoring and respond to alarms by contacting local police but it appears that is not the case. I am paying for all available services. That is supposed to include the App, police contact when system alarms among many other advertised features but my personal experience has proven that the monitoring services I have paid for are definitely not being provided as advertised.

Cove response

Hello Michael! We are truly sorry that you waited so long to have your alarm permit. We wish we could've done things better and easier for you. We had a supervisor reach out and worked on your case. We were able to verify that the alarm permit was issued and added to your account. The notifications error was resolved as well. We hope this has been helpful information. Please, feel free to reach out to us anytime if you need any additional assistance. Thank you!

Original review: March 10, 2022

I purchased my Cove system last summer and almost immediately had trouble with it. The alarm system itself is fine. The contacts work as they should and so does the panel. The outdoor cameras are another thing. They're really awful quite honestly. I complained about them once and received new ones which was good but the replacements are just as bad. They "freeze" or stop working totally sometimes and have to be reset. And there is a huge amount of activity that just does not get recorded. They are worthless if something happens in your home. Yes I have the settings correct. And the app is very buggy. It's many years behind other apps in interface design and functionality. Cove definitely has issues in these areas. When I can afford it, I'll replace the cameras with the top brand. Buyer beware.

Hello Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It's great to know the system is working fine for you. We are sad to hear you have been experiencing all these difficulties. We are really sorry that our cameras and app didn't meet your expectations. We have a manager reach out to you to address all your concerns and see what we can do to make it right for you.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

I bought the Cove security system for monitoring the 3 outside doors to my Townhome. The set up was easy and fast. I like all the features on the monitoring panel. My problem came when after one month of monitoring service I tried to cancel in May 2021. Text. Email. Calls. I finally stopped paying the $14.99 fee. As of February 15, 2022, I have not been able to get the service cancelled. Sad part is my Townhome sold January 31, 2023 with the Cove System.

Hello Lou,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are glad you enjoyed your system when you had it. We are sorry to hear about the experiences you’ve had with our customer service regarding the cancelation of your account. We have a Supervisor reach out to you to address your concerns.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

Cove provides a great system for a great price. It's a young company so there is some growth and development to be expected but overall I've been pleased with the service. Customer service is also pretty on point, especially considering they are overseas. Nice to see someone on top of their game.

Cove Company Information