3.90/5
Based on 173 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Slomin's has provided quality safety and comfort to their customers for over 90 years. Our commitment to customers is backed by the "Slomin's Shield" and ensures piece of mind through our security systems and employees, who are all passed through background checks, drug tests and a rigorous training program. Our systems can be customized for your specific needs, and is perfect for anyone on-the-go because of our remote access capabilities. Our packages are comprehensive and include (but are not limited to) motion detectors, Pan Tilt Zoom, and live-action cameras. Our services span to residential and commercial customers alike, and we help you save on equipment on installation costs by offering free basic systems and installation. Call or visit our site today to learn more!

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 18, 2018

547 Slomins Alarm Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 18, 2018

My insurance company gave me a discount for the home security system and the house I just bought already had a security system in it. One of Slomin's Alarm Systems’ salespeople were doing door-to-door and it turned out that the alarm system I had was one of theirs. But I didn't get a phone line, so I couldn't get it turned back on. I had to get a whole new system done. I was gonna call whoever the system already was on the wall and it turned out it was them anyway. The sales rep was awesome and her boss, the guy who drives her around with the other people, was really cool too. They both came in and explained everything to me great. They were awesome and perfect. The installation was also perfect and the crew was really nice and explained everything to me. He had commission putting it in and we had to change where the box was located, which was fine.

I just got the smoke alarm and the door sensors and the only other thing I would want to eventually get is garage door sensors and a sensor for my shed. So far, the quality of the security equipment has been awesome. The cost was not bad at all and it's worth it. Everybody at Slomin's was great and I already told two people to go with them.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm & Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Upgrade Dated Alarm System - Installation was great. However, installer was 3 hours late to promised install time. Never got a call to say they were running late. Customer service rep basically blamed me for the lateness, saying that they usually don’t do Saturday installs. However, Slomins was the one who changed my original date from a Thursday to Saturday.

Original review: April 17, 2018 It's been over a month and we are still not hooked up. Totally unacceptable. If something were to happen due to no service you can very well be held accountable.

We signed a contract and paid you, so I would like to hear from someone ASAP.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I would highly recommend. Great service and reliable. After a couple of hiccups all went well. The tech made everything work easily and was friendly. The system is now in great working order and we have no issues. Thank you again for your great service.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Peter, thanks for the review!

Original review: April 7, 2018

There are bad people out there and they wanna take your stuff so I figured Slomin's would be the best bet for a home security. Their guy knocked on my door and he was good. He explained everything well and we signed up from there. He's a veteran and so am I so we pretty much assimilated well. The one who did the installation was really cool too. He was really nice, informative of how everything works and he did everything quickly. Everything went smoothly. The only problem I got was I downloaded the app to look at the cameras through my phone but I couldn't hook them up. I was using the app and it’s a little buggy and not too smooth. But my wife has the smartphone features on her phone and it works pretty well on there.

Other than that, the cameras are pretty cool and the motion sensors are all we need so in case anybody breaks in or someone breaks a window, I have some video footages of it at least for insurance purposes. I'm a cop and I already have my gun but with the security system, if someone comes into my house I kind of get a little update before they get through the door. And for the live feed cameras 24/7 and 47 bucks a month, that's not too bad. If anyone asks about Slomin's, I would tell them that I referred them so I'd get a discount on my next bill.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Brian, thanks for the review!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Slomins Alarm Systems?

Original review: April 6, 2018

We've always had Slomin's Alarm Systems and it has been close to 20 years now. We just upgraded it about two weeks ago and the salesman was great although we were a little disappointed in how we had to pay for some upgrades. They said they work on a point system. We had a certain amount of points and we had to pay for one of the windows that was already on because it's the new way with the WI-FI. I thought an upgrade after that amount of years would be an upgrade. Plus after we had the whole thing put in, my husband saw an advertisement on TV for the cameras installed for free so we were a little disappointed. It may have been a promotion that happened a week after they were at my house though. I would just advise others to make sure that they get everything that should be offered to them.

The installation for the upgrade went fine. But I was told one thing and they did another. The salesman told us that we no longer needed the sensor. Because we’re upstairs and we had the two windows that you’d be able to get up on something to get in on. He said when we arm the house, it was just a matter of arming it away or arming it at home. Then I asked what about the equipment that’s here. I was told they would be removed but they weren’t. The installer say that they don’t remove the equipment unless we really need them to. I asked why and he said that it would leave us a little hole in the whole where the sensor was. I understood that, but why not take off the wire around the window? That is visible.

That aside, the system is good and it works. But if you're arming and you're going to be home, you put alarm home, which means you can still walk around whereas if you're arming when you're away, it sets off the windows that are on and when the door opens, the alarm will go off if you don't set it off in time. But when you’re home and you open the door by accident, it's going to go off. Or if someone comes in, it's also going to go off. That feature's very good and other than that, I’ve been happy with Slomin's. The cost is also good and I definitely feel much better about our security since having the system.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Sales representative was great until I signed up. Once I signed he was nowhere to be found and did not follow through as he said he would. Tech who installed was friendly. However, he said we wouldn't see a bill for added equipment until June. Within a week of installation the bill arrives. Not a huge deal but don't like being told I won't have to pay for something for 3 months and then get a bill 7 days later.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Gary in sales was amazing - was so on top of things when I called originally about setting up an oil contract on my new construction. I never had to call and follow up. He was ON IT which I am so appreciative of. He came over right on time for our scheduled appt and we set up an oil contract and alarm system. Everything has been going so smoothly. Neil came to do the alarm installation and he was personable and efficient. Neil was extremely thorough in explaining how to operate the system and provided us with great resources (videos on how to use the system, etc). I’m so impressed by Slomins in their timeliness and efficiency — building a new home has been a bit stressful so this was such a breath of fresh air having this company be so efficient. Thank you!

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Jennifer, thanks for the review!

Original review: April 1, 2018

Cost of monthly monitoring was consistent with their advertising (unlike their competitors who advertised a common monitoring price for old technology and then tried to get you to pay nearly twice as much per month for current technology). Installation went smoothly with no damage to freshly painted walls.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Thomas, glad to see it went well. Thanks for the review!

Original review: March 29, 2018

My parents had been using Slomin's so I thought it was best to also put an alarm system in the house when I first moved in. I've had them for heating and alarm since then and I've been happy with their service. Recently, I had HD cameras put outside of my house and their customer service I received from them was very good. The gentleman who came for the installation was more than helpful and everything was great. The system's features are very functional and I control it from an app. I love it. The cost is also very fair considering what I'm getting for it. I'd highly recommend Slomin's.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Thomas, thanks for the review!

Original review: March 25, 2018

The tech, I believe his name was Kevin, did a very nice job of upgrading our alarm system. He was knowledgeable, informative, and skilled. We like that the system is wireless, and accessible from our smartphones. We also like the new keypads and the way they function.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Dianna, thanks for the review!

Original review: March 25, 2018

I've had the security system for 20 years and I decided to upgrade it with Slomin's. But I signed my contact on March the 6th and the installation was not scheduled until 20-something. The sales consultant, Anthony, was a very personable young man, and I had an excellent experience with him. I felt well-informed and very reassured. He also made himself available, so I felt totally confident in the decision that I made and in what I was anticipating in terms of the upgrade.

Anthony put the order in the paperwork but when we were trying to schedule the upgrade, he told me that they do it Monday to Friday. I have a lot of work and I commute. It is at least an hour back and forth everyday and I get back home in the evening relatively late, so I'm not available on weekdays. But he said the technicians are not available on Saturday so I scheduled it for the next weekday that I was going to be available, which was the 26th. Anthony couldn't give me the specific time frame though. He told me to call customer service and that they should be able to give me more information in terms of a time frame.

Somebody from customer service called and told me that they had a cancellation that day. They asked me if they could come but it was a weekday. I told them that I was not available on weekdays. Coincidentally, I had been trying to get some information regarding an approximate time frame for when they'll come in on my scheduled day but they told me I had to call back. And then I got another call from them saying that all of a sudden, they were doing a special project and that someone was available on Saturday. It was annoying because I had asked about a Saturday to begin with and I was told Saturday was not available. Also, it was a coincidence that on that particular Saturday, I had to work. I went one Saturday a month and had I known that they would available that Saturday, I could have done a Saturday before or the Saturday after. But it was a Friday and they were asking if I would be available that Saturday.

At that point, I was so frustrated too because I couldn’t get a concrete answer on a ballpark time frame. They were making me want to go ahead and install Comcast instead. The young lady I spoke to that day did not appreciate that and she said, "Well, do you want me to put it on hold?" I thought she meant put it on hold for me to call back and ask if there could be some arrangement made to come on a Saturday so I told her, “You do whatever it is you need to do.” But maybe there was a miscommunication and she cancelled my appointment.

When I called back again to confirm, I thought that surely they could tell me on a Friday if they were going to come that Monday because previously, they kept telling me the appointment was too far out for them to give me a time frame. But the girl told me they had nothing scheduled then she asked me if I wanted to schedule on that day. It was ridiculous. I then started telling her about what happened with the lady before who cancelled the appointment. But then she kept telling me, "Well ma'am, we can't reschedule your appointment until you've consulted with Comcast." What did Comcast even have to do with Slomin's?

I was told me that they couldn’t do this and they couldn’t do that. So I had to ask for the supervisor several times but the supervisor never called me back. The representative spoke to the supervisor though, and she called me back to say that the schedule had been confirmed and I was back on for the 26th. The only question I asked was if they could provide me a ballpark time frame. I had a doctor's appointment on that day at 11:00 in the morning. She went back to her supervisor, called me back and said that they would be here in the afternoon at 3:00.

Matt was at my door at 2:59, on time and ready to go. But my appointment had been canceled and rescheduled a couple of times that when Matt came, some of the information wasn't present on my order for the key fob. I remembered specifically that I had discussed it with Anthony and I said, “Let me just give Anthony a call.” What I really appreciated about Anthony was the fact that he had taken the time and the consideration to review my order, knowing that my installation was scheduled for that day. He had caught the mistake and he had already corrected it by the time I called. He had really been over and beyond.

He told me the supervisor that he had spoken to and Matt confirmed that the person was his supervisor. Matt had to get the go from his supervisor but he had already been contacted by Anthony over the slow transition as well. Matt was very efficient and personable, as well as polite. He explained everything thoroughly and I didn't feel like I have to stand over him. Everything was figured out and the upgrade was installed. The system is for security's sake particularly because most of the time I'm here by myself. So I got the habit of arming it at night when I go to bed. Before, I never really did that. Now, I'm more consistent. The touchscreen display makes things easier.

Before, the problem that I had when I armed it at night was that I would always forget when I'm running out of the house in the morning and the alarm will go off. Now, with the way the display screen is shown, I see it when I go down the stairs. I’m more cognitive of it so there is less of a possibility of me tripping the alarm myself as I run out the door. The wireless system is much better for me, and I’m using more of the functions than I did before. It’s easy to use and I'm very pleased with it.

So the problem and the headache that I had dealing with Slomin’s had nothing to do with the sales consultant or Matt. They were both excellent. The problem I had was with the customer service. In fact, I had another experience with Slomin’s and it's always with the customer service. When I switched to DirecTV two years ago, I debated whether or not I was going to retain Slomin’s or switch to someone else particularly because I wanted to get a wireless system. I had a key fob and that key fob was not as nice as the little ones that they have now. I had maintenance insurance on my account and I called Slomin’s when the key fob broke. But the guy I spoke to said the insurance doesn’t cover it and that it would be a hundred dollars. That really pissed me off because I had been a customer of Slomin’s all that time and they were tripping over a key fob. So that very day, I called to terminate the service.

They transferred me to somebody, which may have been the customer retention, and he said the key fob was not a problem. He sent me two key fobs just like that, with the instructions how to program them. There was no subsequent problem from that point. I had a negative experience with customer service then when I got transferred to someone else, the issue got resolved. So Slomin’s need to really work on their customer service. I even submitted a review that the service was the worst. After that, I got a phone call from a customer service manager. He gave me credit on my bill for me to consider doing a sub-review and say that they did make every effort to make it right. I appreciated that and accepted it.

Cable and internet companies have different specials and I’ve changed companies over the years. But I didn’t want to do that with my security company. Comcast was cheaper than Slomin’s. But I made the decision to stay with Slomin’s and pay a little more to have the continuity. I'm happy with the cost, considering the quality of their system. Also, I had ADT before I had Slomin's and I was very dissatisfied with them. That is the reason I’ve had Slomin's as long as I have. I’ve had them for eight years now and I would recommend them to others.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Benee, thanks for the review!

Original review: March 24, 2018

I am a customer also of Slomins in Jackson, New Jersey. To meet with Paul ** sales rep and the installer, they are people you feel you have known all your life, that's how comfortable they make you feel. They have fine personalities and are knowledgeable of the things that they do. I am glad that I have my Slomins to make me feel safe and my property too. I could continue to speak of these two people but once you know them, they feel like family.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Stuart, happy to see you are happy. Thanks!

Original review: March 22, 2018

I'm retired now and I wanted to make sure I got a security system in my house since it's just me and my wife. I’m also about to travel and so I thought about having a security system. The interactions with Slomins' sales rep were good. I called them and a guy was here the next day. I used to have to ADT when I built my house, so my house was already wired. The tech Chris installed the equipment and I felt good about him. I'd recommend Slomins to a friend in a heartbeat.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Pierre, thanks for trusting in us!

Original review: March 21, 2018

Entire experience has been positive. Had 1 false alarm and service responded well. Scheduled a change in location for a motion sensor without any issues. The salesman was very helpful and the installation was early and completed all of the work under the time estimated for the install.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Damian, we appreciate the feedback and review!

Original review: March 14, 2018

Received wrong information from the salesperson. After the install was completed I called to try and get it straightened out and I was on hold for 30 min and then was told they would call me back and never did. I'm still waiting For the callback. It’s been over 3.5 hours. I was told they would talk to supervisor and get back to me.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I spoke to Kevin ** and specifically asked that key fobs be included in my order for my Mother's house at **. He sent preorder form over and they were included. However, apparently they were deleted from form and when I finally got the alarm installed they weren't included. I have ADT for my own home security but decided to purchase your system for my Mother's house. If I would've known you use bait and switch tactics I would've gotten ADT for her house.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I was in the process of looking for a new alarm company and I was between service when I endured a robbery. My 2 biggest concerns so far with this company has been: 1) not following through on time commitments to get my system up and running. 2) When I call in, most of the staff focus on what they can NOT do instead of what they can do. The technicians are terrific and the manager I spoke with today was great, understood the problem and got it resolved. Hope things improve!

Original review: March 7, 2018

They was fast and professional. Greson was friendly. They install my security on time. I needed security because I had a break in and I didn't want this to happen to me again. Thank you so much for a great service and for meeting my expectations.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Aminata, thanks for the review!

Original review: March 7, 2018

ADT was giving me a hard time, so I had to try someone else and found Slomins to be way better. My experience with customer service has been very good and the system features were very good too. I'd tell friends to get Slomins Alarm Systems.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Chris, glad that we were there for you!

Original review: March 1, 2018

Absolutely awful customer service and oil delivery service. Took us weeks to get contract with the correct price we were promised. We told them exactly where our oil fill was and yet every delivery person just left saying they couldn't find it (clearly they didn't even walk around the property then because it is extremely visible). We switched back to Petro, even though it was more money because I would rather not deal with these sleazy company anymore. They write in their contracts that even though your contract runs out, they will keep delivering.

That is fine and we were aware BUT we were told (and it was stated on our online account) that our next delivery was 1/30/18 and we had until then to decide if we wanted to cancel our contract. They showed up unannounced on 1/22/18 and filled my tank (finally they found my oil fill without a problem, ironically)...charged me $1 more per gallon than market price and way more than the rates they offered me if I renewed my contract. I called to complain, spoke to a manager and he only threatened to send me to collections if I don't pay the astronomical price per gallon immediately. I have spent the past 4 weeks trying to get an invoice because since I canceled my account I cannot get the statements online and they refused to mail one to me. PAY MORE MONEY AND USE SOMEONE ELSE!!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I had extended my contract for 5 years last month. Tech couldn’t finish job since he didn’t have the equipment with him. Took three weeks to get another appt. They work banking hrs. Monday to Friday 8:30-4:30. No weekends. For working family no accommodations after working hrs or weekends. It’s impossible to take 3-4 hrs window to accommodate them when I’m paying for services they supposed to provide consumers. Now I have zone issue and they cannot come after business hrs to troubleshoot. Very disappointing. When asked to speak to supervisor they replied “he’s going to say the same thing what I just heard”. Really.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

The service and the equipment is awesome. Happy that I switched over to the upgrade. Thank you very much. The installer they came to the house was very polite and helped us a lot with the way the new system works.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Mario, thank you very much for the review!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

The sales rep was knowledgeable and was very helpful. On the day of the installation, the tech was great. Though we did have a slight issue with the age of the system being upgraded in my home he was able to use the system and perform the upgrade. The new system is so much easier to use than the previous system in place. The only thing was in the planning of the system itself, since when we are home we have to make sure we do not enter one part of the home at night since there is only a motion detector in that room. To get the system 100% we will need several windows and a door to have its own sensor. Other than that service was great, system is great. We highly recommend Slomins.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Carl, we appreciate the review and feedback!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I am very happy and I thought the technician was thorough and very helpful. He was neat. Did not rush. I really liked how he explained the alarm and video. He took the time to show me how to download the app.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Christina, thanks for the review!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Customer service or maybe it's the dispatcher text the incorrect phone number to let me know that the installer was at the church to do the installation. Customer service did a poor job. The installer was GREAT. It's very important to have the correct information. A phone call would be better than texting.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Tech was fast and efficient. I appreciate the text to let you know they are in route to my house. He on time for my appointment and I was out the door. He made sure everything was working before he left the premises. I am very happy with my updated alarm.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Deborah, glad to hear that you are happy!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Thank you for the very good service you rendered at my home. Thank you for keeping our family safe. I am glad that I choose to move forward with supporting my family. You are greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work. Very efficient, very reliable.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Debra, thanks for the review!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

The Tech arrived on time. He was very professional and did a nice clean installation. He explained the system and answered all of my questions. I had some concerns about my previous set up where the phone line was used to contact central station, The main issue was what happens if the line was cut. I was assured that this system is totally wireless which makes me feel a lot safer than the previous system.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Roger, we are glad that you feel safe. Thanks for the review!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

The tech install the system and the camera doesn't work since. Efforts to get the matter resolve amicably through customer service and the salesperson at the time of purchase as fail. I reached out to the sales team to get the problem fix and they promise to have the tech return, but no one show up.

Slomins Alarm Systems expert review by Erin Raub

Slomins is a family-owned home security business. It has been in business since 1923 and offering home security since 1981. The company also offers heating and cooling services.

• Complimentary home review: Users get the benefit of learning what the security weaknesses are in their home prior to signing up for an alarm system, for no additional cost.

• Remote access: Users can access their alarm system and monitor their home from any Internet-enabled mobile device, such as a phone or tablet, regardless of the platform their mobile device uses.

• Central monitoring system: Slomin alarms are connected to a central monitoring system; if the alarm goes off and the user can't be reached, the company dispatches emergency services to the home.

• Protection against false alarms: Users can set up a password they can give dispatchers to cancel an alarm once it goes off.

• Customization available: Users can choose the features that make the most sense for their home, including remote access, home automation or live streaming of what's going on in their houses.

• Best for: Homeowners, renters and tech-savvy consumers.

Profile picture of Erin Raub
Erin Raub

Alarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.

Slomins Alarm Systems Company Information