Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Slomins Alarm Systems

Angelo, thank you for your feedback.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

I'm an electrician by trade. 25 years ago when I moved out here to New Jersey, being from Brooklyn, I put up a local alarm system in my home. Over the years, we stopped using it because we live in Somerville, New Jersey. Someone forced their way into the house and I wasn't using the alarm at the time. I had been hoping that Slomin's truck would go by and sure enough, I'm working in my garage and the guy was canvassing. He came up to me and his supervisor pulls up, we did a quick walk-through of the house and I signed up. I always had my eye on ADT and Slomins but I liked Slomins' whole arrangement. They had a free equipment and also, I paid three months upfront and I won't get a bill for four months. That was pretty nice.

My wife is from Staten Island, and the installer was Anthony from Staten Island, New York so we immediately got along really well. The installation was really nice. The guy was personable and a dog person. We have an 80-pound Hound dog named Bella and we had to set the alarm to not see her. He used a pair of wires that I had where my keypad was. So we took my keypad out, he put his keypad over it. The wires were right there, we went in the basement, hooked them up, plugged it in and that went beautifully. He was standing to the side wall, I was punching in codes and he is calling out the screens as if he was standing in front of the thing. He was very knowledgeable about the equipment, in no hurry to run away, and explained everything really clearly. I'm very impressed.

I feel a lot better leaving the house now, knowing that the alarm is there. I used to be setting the alarm all the time when I leave the house but now, everybody is getting used to using it. So once in a while we I get home, I have to turn it off. But most of the time when I get home, my wife or my daughter is already home. Last week, my daughter set off the alarm and nobody called me. So I called and I found out she got to the keypad rather quickly. She shut it off within a reasonable amount of time and they didn't even get a signal. But if something happens, I'm going to get a phone call to tell me that something is going on. In addition, if someone forces you to turn off the alarm, you punch in ** which will turn off the alarm, but it immediately sends the police which is really cool and I have recommended them to all the people.

Slomins Alarm Systems

Kenneth, thank you for being a loyal Slomin's customer.

Original review: March 18, 2017

I never respond questionnaire but I felt I should. I have always been very impressed with my alarm system and the personnel that I talk to at Slomins if I ever had an issue. Last week there was forecasted a "major" snowfall for the area and I was scheduled for the install on the day it was going to hit us. Sunday to my surprise I had received a phone call asking if they could install on Monday. I was really impressed. I thought I was going to be delayed at least a week because of the snow. They were able to work around my crazy schedule to accommodate me. Eric the alarm installation tech was very professional. He instructed my wife and I on how to use the new keypad was very informative. In short I just wanted to say thank you for employing good people. From the person that I spoke to about scheduling to the install tech. Very professional and polite. My wife and I feel safe knowing that we have Slomins looking after our house!!!

Slomins Alarm Systems

Vicki, thank you for the feedback.

Original review: March 17, 2017

It was very easy to order Slomins shield. The sales person was very nice giving good information without being pushy. I received confirmation when the tech person would be at my house to install the unit. The tech installer was extremely nice, very informative and took his time teaching me what I needed to know. So far I am very pleased with Slomins.

Slomins Alarm Systems

Daren, great to hear that the system is protecting your home and family as you desired.

Original review: March 17, 2017

From initial consultation through installation and everyday use, Slomins has been great! Every aspect went smoothly and everyone we worked with were professional, knowledgeable and courteous. The system works nicely. My young kids are able to use it as easily as us.

Slomins Alarm Systems

Ann, happy to hear that the system and installation was to your satisfaction.

Original review: March 17, 2017

The salesman Steve ** was wonderful. He explained everything about the system thoroughly... we have not even triggered the alarm as of today! Installation was just as good... quick and painless with no problems. I will absolutely recommend the alarm system to anyone I know. We are very satisfied customers. Thank you!

Slomins Alarm Systems

Bridget, thank you for the feedback.

Original review: March 12, 2017

A friend had Slomin's and told me it was good, so I decided to go ahead and get it too. Everybody was professional. I love the salesmen and the technician who came out to install the system. Everything's good and working properly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Slomins Alarm Systems?

Consumer Increased Rating!

Slomins Alarm Systems

Rico, sorry to hear about the installation was not completed. We will contact you shortly to resolve the issue.

Original review: March 11, 2017

I convinced my family to switch to Slomins based on the experience I had with Slomins for my apartment a few years ago. Initially Slomins canceled the appointment date that I requested without confirmation or enough notice to reschedule. After several emails I was able to get a convenient date for the install. The installer was very good but I was told that the camera I requested would not be installed because they are on backorder (the camera and a recent incident that would have been caught on video were the primary reasons I was prompted to get Slomins for my home).

I was told that the camera is part of a promotion and free so I do not qualify for a temporary discount until the camera becomes available; I was not given a date for their availability. It's also inconvenient to schedule another appointment once the camera becomes available. Unless I receive the camera shortly I will probably not recommend Slomins in the future, I did not expect to not be given a date by customer service. Part of me feels duped and I am disappointed which is why I was prompted to do this review.

Slomins Alarm Systems

Leo, we will contact you to discuss the issues you listed.

Original review: March 10, 2017

I had an system from two other companies but like when my old company desired to increase the rate I made a decision to switch to Slomins. Trust me it's not worth your time or money. They sell a system which is not going to work and 100% guaranteed to fail. In three month I had to call 6 times for service and every time a new problem comes up. When you call them they tell you that they do not make the product but only servicing it, but did not I buy your service? Note you will not get the same day service and not even a next day, it will be based on technician availability and service hours are M-F, no weekend, however you will get a 6 hour window, it does not matter what if you pick morning or afternoon you will have to take time from work. And yes all this time you will not have working security systems, if you think you will save money with Slomins think again. It's not worth it.

Slomins Alarm Systems

N, thank you for your feedback.

Original review: March 9, 2017

We have had Slomin's for 15 years. Quite satisfied with service. Installers have been great, but the last upgrade technician was the best. Very thorough and explained how to use our new digital system with ease. Newer systems match updated look and tell you which door/window was open and when.

Slomins Alarm Systems

Madeline, thank you for the feedback.

Original review: March 9, 2017

The technician who installed the security system was on time, pleasant, courteous and a good worker. He worked neatly and quickly and made sure I was familiar with the system before he left. With the installation, I feel more confident now that my property and myself are safer. I would definitely recommend Slomin's.

Slomins Alarm Systems

Kathrin, we will contact you to discuss this issue.

Original review: March 8, 2017

I have a proposal in writing from Mr. ** that I have to pay for the extra keypad and the 2 smoke detectors are free. I got a bill now to pay for 2 x 216.50 for a equipment fee of total $433. I do not see a separate listing of the equipment charges, so I'm guessing somehow the contract is set up wrong and I'm being charged for something that was supposed to be free. I have been calling Mr. ** since two days, since the main office customer service agents are telling this is between him and me and not their problem. So I feel pretty much left alone with my wrongful charges now, since I do not know who to turn to. I still have the written proposal here at home. I would very much appreciate help in this matter. Mr. ** was very friendly, professional, so I don't understand why is not calling me back or his office number is busy all day.

Slomins Alarm Systems

Merman, thank you for the feedback.

Original review: March 3, 2017

The installer was good and very friendly. We're 100% satisfied with Slomin's service. My wife feels more relaxed being at home with the alarm because I work at night, so it makes it easier for me. However, Slomin's needs to improve on their camera system. I want another camera but I don’t think I can afford a $500 camera because it’s too expensive.

Slomins Alarm Systems

Frank, thank you for the feedback.

Original review: March 2, 2017

I install telephone systems and Slomin's is a customer of mine. I have many choices but I might as well use somebody that uses me. I used them first for my oil and heating services when I bought my home three years ago, and I was happy with that. I reached out to a friend of mine at Slomin's and told them that I'd be interested in adding the alarm with my oil. One guy came and he was knowledgeable, showed me how to use everything and did a great job. We’re very happy and feel much better now with the alarm system. I would highly recommend Slomin's.

Factual basis uncertain

A Slomins salesperson was walking in my neighborhood and approached me when I was getting my mail asking if I would want a fixed price for home heating oil at a set price. I then told him "I'm not interested and my dad owns this home and I rent from him so my dad takes care of getting oil." Salesman then said he could just write me up a fixed price for oil and show my dad and see if my dad would be interested. So me feeling bad for the guy I said "ok". He showed me the paper and I had to sign it to lock me in to the price per gallon of oil. Of course my dad wanted nothing to do with it so I thought nothing of it. Skip ahead 2 weeks I'm standing in my kitchen and a Slomins oil truck pulls up to my house to deliver oil.

He never came to the door so I ran outside and yelled "excuse me what are you doing". He says "delivering oil. You are a new customer." I said "I don't know where you got that information but I never contacted Slomins about becoming their customer." He says "oh ok. So you are refusing the oil delivery?" I said "yes that's right." He gets in his truck and I precede to call Slomins and ask why they are trying to deliver oil. Lady then says to me because I signed a contract. I said "I absolutely did not sign a contract. I only signed a fixed price agreement." She then said no I signed a contract and that if I wanted to cancel I would need to pay a $500 cancellation fee. I then proceeded to curse this woman out because they were definitely trying to scam me. I told her "the salesman did not say it was a contract. He only said a fixed price. So you are scammers and my dad is a lawyer and she will be hearing from his law firm" and I hung up on her.

Not 10 seconds later she called me back and said she was very sorry and I was right and that I wouldn't have to pay cancellation fee. So ok all that is fine BUT I am baffled by the fact this salesman and Slomins themselves literally tried to scam me and if I was not home to stop this man from delivering oil I bet that that delivery of oil would of locked me into a contract. Unbelievable so I want everyone to be aware of what you're signing from Slomins. I read the paper I signed but what it read was a fixed price guarantee but they worded this paper in such a way to make me think I was signing a fixed price for oil when I was actually signing a contract with them...BEWARE OF SLOMINS. THEY ARE SCAMMERS.

Slomins Alarm Systems

Anna, we will be in touch with you regarding the issue you describe.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

The cameras are horrible. I was told I would have audio. Now not true. I was told I could have alerts. Now not true. I was told I would get the camera I saw on the website. Not true. Again the salesperson lied to me and I should have known better when they did this to me when I moved but decided to give them a second chance. Cameras go out, record clips randomly and I am blown off when I call. This is insane from a security company. Don't feel secure at all.

Slomins Alarm Systems

Carla, thank you for your feedback.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

I've been using Slomins for a little over a month, and I like it better than my previous provider. I got the wall-mount and the motion detectors, and it's more updated than my old provider. The installer was on time, quick and efficient. He explained everything to me, so it was good. He was friendly too. I'm very satisfied with the service and I feel a little more secure because I would know immediately on my phone if something's going on.

Slomins Alarm Systems

Matthew, thank you for your feedback.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

I had Slomins previously and I had ADT as well but the cost was twice of Slomins, so I had Slomins installed recently again and it was easy. They were done in a matter of two hours. The salesman and the techs were excellent, too. I surely feel more secure ever since using Slomins and I'd definitely recommend them.

Slomins Alarm Systems

Theresa, we would call you to discuss the issues below.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

The salesmen didn't explain it's a 5 year contract. Just handed us the contract and sign. So far we are happy with them but if we aren't we can't cancel. They have us locked!! Also cameras for our house 300.00, with actor comes with the package and you just pay extra monthly.

Slomins Alarm Systems

Krista, thank you for the feedback

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

Everything seems to be good. The Slomin's team was here when I came home from work and they were very polite and courteous. They were visiting with my husband and leaving as I was coming home because everything was all done and it seems fine.

Slomins Alarm Systems

Dominic, we will contact you regarding your question about the security camera.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I like the wireless upgrade to my system went and I was pleased with the installation. The only problem is I don't understand why the video surveillance camera was not included in my basic package. Slomins is currently advertising that as a free item to be included.

Slomins Alarm Systems

Deon, thank you for the feedback.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

There has been a lot of quarrels happening along my area and I've seen other people who have Slomins so we decided to get it. The installation docs were pretty clear and everything was easy. We had one incident, accidentally, and everything was pretty fast. We've had less worries since we got the system and the app works really well on the phone.

Slomins Alarm Systems

Michelle, thank you for the feedback

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

With Slomins, you have a secure place to live because you have an alarm system that's efficient. I've used Slomins for 11 years now. I've had parts that had to be replaced and they came out, then I recently had an upgrade, so my interactions with them were great. They've had excellent people who are concerned about your needs and not just what they can offer as far as additional features just to get you to spend money. I always felt it was about security and feeling secure in my home environment. When I met with the initial Slomin's contact person, I was very impressed by his presentation and that's what made me go with them. The man was very honest about what I needed and what I didn't need.

Slomins Alarm Systems

Pamela, thank you for your feedback and reminder that you receive a credit for 3 months of monitoring for every customer you recommend.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

Great service! This was a very easy process to get alarm. Salesman Shannon was great very professional and explained everything to me and made me feel comfortable with my decision to get a Slomin's Security System. I definitely would refer Shannon & Slomin's to my friends and family.

Slomins Alarm Systems

Silvio, thank you for the feedback.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

The upgrade department over the phone explained a system that fills my needs. The person answered every question. The tech did a great job installing my new system and explaining how to operate the unit. Nice guy and very helpful.

Slomins Alarm Systems

Jim, thank you for the feedback.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

System was installed and is satisfactory at this time. The installer showed up on time and was very knowledgeable. The installer went out of his way trying to find and install the Slomin's App, but after many attempts he found out my phone was not an Apple or Android. The installer even found some faults with my system from my last security company and repaired them.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

Slomins Alarm Systems

Evelyn, we will be in contact with you to discuss this issue with you.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

Touch keypad stopped working after only being installed a few months and the alarm would not stop. Slomins said there was nothing they could do remotely to shut it off and we had to unplug in the basement. Worst part is that they charged us to swap out the defective box. We are locked into 4 year agreement and will not go with them again. How can you charge hundreds to your customer for your defective equipment?

Slomins Alarm Systems

Yolanda, thank you for choosing to become a Slomin's customer.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

The sales rep I talked to was very nice and professional. He spoke with a lot of details and if he didn't have the answer, he called somebody right away and get the answer for me. The installer was very polite, too. He knew his stuff, explained things to me which was great and did the installation really quickly. I enjoyed it. Everything was nice and smooth. With Slomins, I know that my family is secured and I'm secured at night. And even when were not there, I feel fine. I opened the door a couple of times by accident while checking the alarm off and it really works. So it's good. I would definitely recommend Slomins. Also, I have a couple of people that have ADT right now and are just waiting to finish their contract so that they can contract with Slomins.

Slomins Alarm Systems

Allan, thank you for your feedback.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

I've had Slomin's for a week, and so far, the systems installed seem to be working fine. We're happy with our experience.

The installation was not completed. I am still waiting for my thermostat to be installed. I have called the company multiple times to schedule but I am still waiting. The installer came out on a Saturday as this is the only day I am home and I have been waiting for 2 weeks for someone to come back out to install the thermostat which should have been done the first time. This has been a huge inconvenience and I am not satisfied.

Slomins Alarm Systems

Donna, thank you for the feedback and we are sorry to hear about your dog.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

Upgraded our burglar system. Very satisfied with the service and the technician. Job well done. We have been Slomins customers for a long time. Our dog recently passed away and we wanted more protection. Slomins price and service is top notch.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

Slomins Alarm Systems

Jim, sorry for the issue you are having to close the account. We will contact you shortly to ensure that this is completed.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

For the past month I have called customer service several times to cancel service because I'm selling my house. Every time I call they tell me that department 'unavailable' but they will definitely call me back. No one calls back. Each time I call, I'm on hold, then give all the information, and it's the same thing. I guess I have to cancel my credit card to cancel? Completely unacceptable and inconsiderate of their customers' time and money. I guess I'll go on to YELP and Twitter next?

Slomins Alarm Systems Company Profile