Call toll free
4.32/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Slomin's has provided quality safety and comfort to their customers for over 90 years. Our commitment to customers is backed by the "Slomin's Shield" and ensures piece of mind through our security systems and employees, who are all passed through background checks, drug tests and a rigorous training program. Our systems can be customized for your specific needs, and is perfect for anyone on-the-go because of our remote access capabilities. Our packages are comprehensive and include (but are not limited to) motion detectors, Pan Tilt Zoom, and live-action cameras. Our services span to residential and commercial customers alike, and we help you save on equipment on installation costs by offering free basic systems and installation. Call or visit our site today to learn more!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

696 Slomins Alarm Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: April 22, 2019

I called Slomins today about audible alarms form our keypad for low batteries in 3 of our sensors. I wanted to know if I was to replace the batteries or was that something they do. After some questions the rep said they needed to send a technician out to upgrade the keypad for a fee of $60. After I questioned why I should have to pay for their upgrade he said it is in your contract. When I questioned him he talked over me and his tone became louder and "matter of factly". I felt his attitude was horrible. That if I didn't like the policy that was my problem, continually asking me if I wanted him to schedule a tech to come out as if the conversation was over and he was done wasting his time with me. I eventually hung up.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2019

My fiancé (now husband) and I rented an apt together years ago. While I wanted ADT, he wanted to use Slomins so I agreed. We were only in the apt for a year before we decided to relocate? I called Slomins to let them know that we would be moving in 30 days and they told me too bad, I'm bound to a contract and have to pay them to get out of it. They wanted $1500 to exit the contract which we didn't have. I paid up through the entire lease and called again to tell them that I could not honor that exuberant amount for an alarm system. They told me that I should have read the contract thoroughly. Not only were they incredibly rude, but my co-worker had been in a similar situation and was able to negotiate an exit without penalties so they had options. Let's just say that years later, they actually put a lien on my husband in the amount of $1800 as a penalty for breaking the contract.

So on top of paying the monthly service bill on time, this works out to be an additional $150 a month on top of the base price. Who pays $350-400 a month for a few monitors in an apartment?? Pure rip-off and compared to what I pay now, $90 every 3 months for an entire 4 bedroom house. There are too many cost effective options on the market to be tied in contract with this old school company. Nobody does that anymore. It's a sign of pure desperation so my advice, steer clear. I wish I had followed my instincts and known that an ALARM company, not a bank, creditor or government agency, but an ALARM company would use mob tactics to strong-arm us into paying $400 a month AND put a lien on us for additional fees due to the loss of business, I would have run. Consider this a favor of what could happen with these thieves.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I’ve been using Slomin’s for years and I’ve always had very good service so I figured about getting a security camera. I was entitled to an upgrade, so I took it. The upgrade included the outside security camera and the new keypad. Joe, the person who gave me the upgrade, was excellent to deal with and I've known him for a few years. The installation was very professional. The camera and installation were not charged, and I pay $11 a month for the security camera, so I'm satisfied. I’m very pleased with Slomin’s and will be staying with them until the end.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I installed an alarm system a few months ago and I pay monthly for monitoring service. When I got the system installed I told them I was getting a new basement door and they said no problem. And that they’d arm the current door and to call them when it is installed and they’ll arm that door for us with no problem. I just called to get the door armed and they want to charge $50 to put the pieces of tape on the door. I asked for them to mail it to me and they said no. Will be looking for another alarm company. They just lost a customer over $50.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 15, 2019

I just called to make a payment. This lady Maria is super rude. Talks way too fast and don’t give you time to answer her questions or ask any question. What a disappointment. Looking for another company right now.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Hi Laura, We are sorry to hear about your experience. We will contact you shortly for assistance. Thank you!

Update 04-17-2019- Thank you for your time today on the phone! Once again please accept our apologies for any inconvenience we may have caused you. Please re-rate us, thank you!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Slomins Alarm Systems?

Original review: April 13, 2019

I was a customer of ADT for years but they kept raising my prices. When I told them I was leaving, they didn't take it seriously so I found the next best thing. Slomins' customer service reps were very accommodating. Joe toed the line, helped me and got me a good price. The people who came and installed the system were very helpful as well. My system has plenty of features and its price is right, but I don't think it's great. It's very similar to the previous one I had, but then all home security systems are all very similar.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I was an ADT customer for 12 years. I moved into a new house in December of 2018 and I had an ADT sales rep come three times with a technician. They said that they could do the system then they couldn't do it then they could. They had to do upgrades and in the end, they tried to take out over $1,000 out of my pocket. I basically threw them out.

The radio show I listen to, Z100, advertises Slomins all the time so I made a phone call. The customer representative that I talked to was very polite. She gave me the contact of the salesman who would be coming to my house as well as a three-hour window. The salesman came right on time. He looked at everything and told me that I could absolutely use all the hardware that was already existing in the house like the window and the door sensors. He also looked at all the glass breaks and the basement sensors that I had and he was very upfront about how they might have to be replaced. He was able to give me a quote right then and there and I actually signed the contract before he left the house. I also took his advice to have the batteries of all the sensors replaced as he said that that would save a lot of time. I had done that the weekend prior to the installer's schedule. I wound up having 36 zones in total between all the windows and doors.

The guy who came to install my system was great. He asked me before he did the work and communicated while he was here. He used all the existing sensors and he replaced the ones that were not functional, such as the one in the basement. He also put in another glass break sensor, motion sensor, three fire sensors and two LCD panels. He was in and out of the house in less than three hours and everything went great. From the customer service rep to the salesperson to the tech, everyone that I dealt with from Slomins was very professional and communicated very well. They knew all of my expectations and they did a phenomenal job. I was very impressed. All three floors of my house are now thoroughly covered. The Slomins' app is also on my phone and my wife's phone, and it works fantastically. I have more features on my system and my monthly cost is right where I expected it to be.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 9, 2019

The Slomins Shield System allows "Z-Wave Devices" to be added by the consumer but the devices then cannot be updated, modified or removed by the consumer unless Slomins sends out an technician for more than $80.00 an hour. That is completely wrong by allowing a person to install equipment when following the manufacturer's instructions for the device that was purchased, incurring no charge or fee and then charging to update, modify or remove the device. Slomins has set a proprietary password locking the consumer out of accessing the Z-Wave Hub for the keypad. All that is needed to update, modify or delete the Z-Wave Device is the touch of one button. The Z-Wave Device Manufacturers believe the consumer should have access to in order to modify the devices as it is stated in their installation instructions.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Hi Mr. Rusell, as per our records this issue is being handled with one of our customer service supervisors Brendan. A service visit has been scheduled for 04-16-2019 at no cost to you. Should you have any other issues or concerns please make sure to contacts us. Thank you!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 4, 2019

Was charged by Slomins to upgrade the system they installed so it would communicate wirelessly with their monitoring system. After they installed the upgrade now the system fails 3 times a day with a communication loss with the #1 keypad. They want to charge to fix a problem they caused. ADT offers a much better service for their customers and I'm sorry I switched.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Dear Bill Nary, We are sorry to hear about this issue and we apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you. We will contact you shortly in order to assist you. Thank you!

Rated with 1 starResolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: March 19, 2019

DO NOT sign a contract with Slomins. They NEVER told me I was 'binded' for 5 years with them. In the beginning they made everything sound so great but now there are more advanced and cheaper options available and all they want to do is sell it to me and charge me a monthly fee. You can buy the very same equipment and not pay a monthly fee. They are very rude. Every time I call up customer service and they NEVER want to help me, they always pass me along. I would of never signed knowing it was for 5 years.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Stacey, we are sorry to hear about this issue. We will bring this up to a Customer Service manager's attention to have this issue reviewed and resolved. Thank you!

Rated with 1 starResolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: March 15, 2019

Reposting my solicited request for review from Slomin's: Original review: No continued support of products unless customer pays for an ADDITIONAL service contract. Response: Reply from Slomin's Shield. An hour ago. WT, we apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you. As per our records, this issue appears to have been resolved with our Customer Service department. Please re-rate us! Thank you!

UPDATE: Although Slomins claims their records show the issue has been resolved, it has not. I initially called to have a technician fix my cameras. The technician who showed up two weeks later informed me he did not work on cameras, but instead had a work order to upgrade my alarm panel. Then I was charged $40 for the technician to upgrade my alarm radio because the previous model (which was installed little over a year ago) is obsolete.

Slomins then tried to charge me an additional $80 for that service, which I did not even request. Now my cameras still do not work, and they will charge me AGAIN to send a technician unless I purchase an additional service plan. I was asked to amend my rating, but if I were able, the only change I would make is to give zero stars. Alas, this is not possible.

Original review: March 15, 2019

We are very pleased with Slomins. I have had their system for 10 years and everything is good. We had a very nice young fellow come out when the battery needed changing. He talked to us and everything worked out fine.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Henry, we appreciate your feedback!

Resolution response: March 22, 2019

The service representative communicated well and provided the expected service. The appointment was requested in November. The rating reflects the extensive wait time between appointment setup and service.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I've had Slomin's home security system for years now. It's easy to function, satisfactory, and priced fairly. Its features serve the purpose of the system and I'm content with what I have. However, Slomin's customer service is horrible. There is no response time. I signed up for a contract with home heating in November. I still haven't had my system serviced and I've already put in three requests. The account rep that set up the contract told me to not count on them coming before March. I am stuck in a contract that I shouldn't be in and I am dissatisfied. Slomin's takes advantage of their customers.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Dear Theresa Moskowski, We are sorry to hear about this issue scheduling a service appointment for your heating system. We will contact you shortly to assist you!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Alarm work well. Salesperson was very helpful and installer was very good. We are very happy with the doorbell camera. Alarm is very easy to use and has a lot of ice features and flexibility. Overall we are very pleased with this product.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Ronald, we appreciate your positive and honest feedback!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I feared being burglarized and I decided to get a home security system. I went online, looked at Slomin's and I got ADT. Somebody played with the website and I got really pissed off with ADT because I don’t like that. I called Slomin's directly. I have them at two houses and I remembered their number since it’s a fairly easy one. I got the salesman out and he went through the house. He and I agreed on where these things should be placed depending on how many I need. I closed one of my houses through the winter and I disconnected the telephone because I didn’t need it. With Slomins, you don’t need a telephone to call out to the central system. It works by WiFi. The installation was smooth enough and the technicians were very good. What I have with Slomin's is better than what I had.

In November, as I was closing up the house through the winter, I had the plumber come out to the house to drain all the pipes, blow out the line and put in antifreeze. When I was going to close up the house, one of the sensors wasn’t on. I called up Slomin's and I explained the situation to them. I begged them to send somebody out that day but they said they couldn’t. So, they made an appointment to send the guy out the next morning between eight and 10 in the morning. He never showed up but he eventually called. He said he couldn’t make it because of the snow yesterday. I told him that he gotta make it because I’ve already closed up the house. He said he was not going through and then, he made an appointment with me for the next Tuesday but I told him to come up on that day. I have no food, no heat, no water and no toilets but he wouldn’t come.

I called Slomin's and I complained to them. I explained my situation to the lady and she felt badly for me. She said that she would have somebody there that afternoon, which was really nice of her. Somebody else came up in the afternoon. Originally, whoever the repair guy was, he should be fired. He said stupid things and I hate stupid comments. In either event, I did get it fixed. It was a very simple one. The guy who who eventually came should be commended because he saw right away what was wrong and it took him five minutes to fix it.

The functionality of Slomin’s system is fine but there’s no consistency. I have one in New York City and one in Wurtsboro, New York. Though the two machines are identical, they’re programmed differently. I asked to have them both programmed the same way but they didn’t do it. I accepted the reason they gave me. They said it was more secure the way they do it but I have an older one and a newer one, and the older one is the way I like it. When you get to be older, you have done it in a certain way and to change is difficult. The change here is calling the police, which I have no desire to do if I’m not being robbed. In either event, consistency between locations is very important with the machinery.

I have on my cellphone my country house application, the app and I have the country house on it. When I wanna switch to the city house, I have to close that app and put in the other address, open that up, put in the username and the password. When I wanna go back to the country house which is where it usually is, I have to do it all over again. I have to close it and reopen it. I should be able to use the same application for more than one house and the more often that I use my flat, little fingers on this little thing, the more errors I make which frustrates me and I’m not in the business of being frustrated.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Arthur, we appreciate your feedback!

Insufficient response received
Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I am very disappointed Slomin‘s does not offer technician service other than Monday through Friday business hours. This is not acceptable for a security company or any service company in this day and age. When I called to cancel my service, I was informed I would owe over $2000 to do so – outrageous my system is not working properly and I cannot have a technician come when I am available. I have no trust in the company at all.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Pamela, we apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you. We will contact you shortly for assistance. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Closed on my house in the afternoon and the first thing the next morning they were able to install my alarm. My salesman was professional, knowledgeable and punctual. The installer came on time and did an excellent and efficient job as well. I could not have asked for a better security experience. I had truly an excellent experience and would recommend Slomins to anyone.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Sara, thanks for the great feedback!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Have been a customer for 10+ years, had system upgraded (free) & added smoke & carbon monoxide detectors in house. System is easy to use, transition to new system was smooth, each time we have to contact Slomin’s with a question, they are professional, courteous, and pleasant. We are happy with our service. Satisfied customer!

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Hi Jen, thanks for the great review!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

We got Slomin's security system as a preventative measure and at that time, it was a package. I was getting the oil from them also so we got a lower rate. We got a locked in rate for a couple of years on the oil. The only negative thing is that on occasion when the alarm goes off, they don’t call. That’s happened a couple of times. If you shut it off within a certain period of time, they don’t call you. But in six years, I’ve had no problems whatsoever. In fact, I had tried another system, which I still have, but it was such a rip-off. It isn't funny. It’s from Alarm.com and they were terrible.

I ended up calling Slomin’s and not only did they come, they also updated my system. After five years, they updated the system and the system is wonderful. They put their camera here and it works absolutely fantastically. So that was another thing with Slomin’s. They covered all of my issues. My price went up for like $5 but for me, it was well worth it just to have the cameras. I can also look at it on my phone when I’m out. It alerts me. There’s only one problem that I've had with the update. My key fob keeps falling off and I just got that. It fell off five times already and I’m afraid of losing it. I don’t know what to do about that. But they gave us two key fobs and it doesn’t happen to my husband’s. That aside, they’re very thorough and knowledgeable. They’re courteous too. And those are all important things. My last salesman was Anthony. He came from Slomin's home office and he was great.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Anne, We are very happy to hear about your positive experience and we appreciate you sharing that with us!

No response received
Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Slomins have many great reviews and deservingly so, they provide oil, and security at an affordable price to many Americans who are appreciative. I also am appreciative of the customer service and technicians who have assisted me in securing my home. I just wish that I was made aware of the fact that I would be responsible for the full price of faulty equipment even while it is still being leased. I originally had a wired system from Brinks Home Security (which I also loved) for ten years without issues. When that company sold its alarm division to ADT, I heard that Slomins would take over monitoring with the same equipment for around the same price I had been paying previously.

However, when the technician arrived, he said the equipment was antiquated and a wireless security system would be more efficient and reliable. I agreed to the upgrade, but if I had been made aware of the fact that the wireless technology is powered by average non-lithium batteries and could malfunction before the 5 year lease, and that I would be responsible for paying for each equipment piece that breaks, I would have remained with the more reliable wired system. When my wife had called about the malfunctioning smoke detector the last week of December, she was led to believe that the smoke detector service would be free because the component malfunctioned at no fault to the consumer; however, when addressing the bill received after the service call, the customer service representative indicated the free service was for an upgrade to the system (totally unrelated to the purpose of the original call) and not the smoke detector.

The service representative also insinuated that since there was a signature on the completed agreement with the service tech, that she must have known she would be charged for the smoke detector. Which is inconceivable, if my wife was told that the smoke detector fee would be waived, then a bill with the amount of the equipment would still be presented but waived at the central office. This type of “bait and switch” tactics are commonly used at used car service dealers and scam artist. I feel that if potential Slomins security customers are verbally made aware that they would be responsible for failed equipment, then many would second guess purchasing the service lease for five years with the company.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Lance, we apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you. We will contact you shortly for assistance. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I was very pleased at the way in which your technician, Omar installed a doorbell video camera in my home. He checked out all my other alarms and sensory devices. He was courteous and very professional. In addition, he wrote down all the necessary locations for the devices that had previously been installed in my home. He also took the time to explain and demonstrate how my new doorbell video camera worked.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Harold, we are happy to hear about your positive experience!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

My experience with Slomin's Alarm Systems has been good. When I bought the house, the system was already there. I just transferred the service from the previous owner and decided to continue, and the process was easy. The rep was very outgoing and he explained everything clearly. So far, I like what I have. It's good.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Hi Roseann, we are happy to hear about your positive experience. Thanks for the review!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I had a Slomin’s home security system in a different house. I had a great experience with them for 15 years. I got a newer system with them. When getting things set up, their sales team was fine. At first, I thought the quality was updated. I thought the new system was much nicer than the old-fashioned system that we had. It’s all wireless, which was good. The installation was fantastic. We just moved into a new house. All the walls were already fixed and painted. When they were trying to install it, they didn’t have access to power. What the technician did was commendable. He called his supervisor and said that he couldn't get to the power. The supervisor came and, between the two of them, they figured something out where they didn’t have to break down my walls to run the power that had to be done. I thought that was admirable.

At first, customer service was okay. But now, I’m having some problems and it’s taking a long time to get them rectified, which has me a little bit annoyed. That time, I was having trouble with one of the sensors which kept going off. It would always ring at 2 o’clock in the morning. The alarm company asked me if they needed to send the police. I said no and that I checked everything out and everything was fine. They were willing to stay on the phone, which was excellent. When the service guy came, he was great for the first time. But when it happened again with a different sensor and I couldn't get the service guy for six days.

I had to keep bypassing that one particular zone for six days and that was not acceptable. If I leave the house unprotected, then what do we have the alarm system for? Plus, every time I put the alarm on and then you come in, and I have to bypass that alarm the next time I go back out. It’s not like when I bypass it once, it’s set. I have to keep bypassing it. Unfortunately, we keep running out to the store. Every time we come back in, we have to remember the bypass. If we forget, like we did the other night, it kicked off again at 2 o’clock in the morning.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Vincent, we are glad we were able to assist you! thanks for the positive feedback!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Slomin's reps came out and we talked about where I wanted my cameras and my monitor. We went over pricing. Thereafter, the techs came out and it was a neat job. They were pretty fast with it. Thus far, I like that I can operate the system from my phone. I use the app all the time and with it, I can watch the cameras and arm the alarm. Since getting Slomin's system, I've been feeling comfortable.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Christopher, thank you for the great review!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

My son recommended me to Slomins. I just want to say everyone at Slomins kept me updated on the scheduled date and time and informed me of arrival of technicians arrival time. When the tech arrived he introduced himself (Dimitrius) very professional and knowledgeable of equipment. All in all excellent service!

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Thomas, We appreciate your positive feedback!

Insufficient response received
Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Told Salesman that we may be moving in a few years. We were told no problem, leave the equipment so they could offer a contract to the new owners and they would install equipment at our new home and our payments would go on as usual. After about 2 1/2 yrs I called to stop monitoring and advise about new residence. I was told I had to sell the remainder of my contract to the buyer of my home, of course they did not want to take over my contract, or pay for the remainder of monitoring & equipment.

This suddenly amounted to over $875 payable at once. Told them I would make payments which I started to do. I then received a letter that I had been turned over to collections. Called Slomins and they were very nasty. It took several requests to get name and phone of this collection agency. I called them several months in a row and was advised they were never referred my records but they did do collections for Slomins. I have continued making payments and will stop when I get to the outrageous $875+ to pay it off. Recommend purchasing one of those new technology systems you monitor yourself. Ours works great.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Carol we are sorry to hear about this issue. We will review your account and contact you shortly. Thank you!

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Work was completed by service tech (he was professional and personable). System broke down after 3 days. Not happy with the product. Not sure if I would recommend - wish they installed the product with the 3 day rescission period I may have canceled.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Joseph, we are sorry to hear about this issue. We will contact you shortly to assist you.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

The prior owners of the house had Slomin’s and when we called the company, their representatives were excellent. They explained everything and were very attentive. Plus they gave us a great deal. How could we turn it down? The equipment was there. They just had to reinstate it. We kept the keypad and all the wireless sensors on the doors and the windows. We just added a few more. The representative we dealt with was also good about giving us the remote thing for entering from the car. We got a couple of those. I’m not at the house all the time so it’s reassuring that the system is on and working.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Dorothy, thanks for taking the time and writing this great review!

No response received
Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I was given a date for installation. Only by my calling late that day did I find out that Slomin's changed the date without notifying me. A week before it took Slomin's 3 visits within 5 days to fix a leak from the boiler - which was originally scheduled three weeks out even with a service contract. If the boiler had been serviced earlier as requested and not given a date in February 2019 this could have been avoided.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Ed, we are sorry to hear about your experience. We will be in touch with you shortly to assist you. Thank you!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I liked the time I had to buy my oil from Slomin's. They made me a good deal from home security and I've had them ever since. However, there came a time when there was a problem with my system. They put in a new "brain" for it. I spoke with sales and a salesman came to explain everything. Thereafter, they sent a technician who did the upgrade. He did a very good job and I was happy with him. Overall, the cost of the system has been reasonable and I've been happy with the service. I recommend Slomin's.

Slomins Alarm Systems response

Joseph, thank you for sharing your experience with us!

Slomins Alarm Systems expert review by Ben Mannes

Get a professionally installed system with 2 package options for $29.95 and $42.95 a month. Systems have 5-year contracts and come with warranties. The company also offers heating and cooling services.

• Complimentary home review: Users get the benefit of learning what the security weaknesses are in their home prior to signing up for an alarm system, for no additional cost.

• Remote access: Users can access their alarm system and monitor their home from any Internet-enabled mobile device, such as a phone or tablet, regardless of the platform their mobile device uses.

• Central monitoring system: Slomin alarms are connected to a central monitoring system; if the alarm goes off and the user can't be reached, the company dispatches emergency services to the home.

• Protection against false alarms: Users can set up a password they can give dispatchers to cancel an alarm once it goes off.

• Customization available: Users can choose the features that make the most sense for their home, including remote access, home automation or live streaming of what's going on in their houses.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Slomins Alarm Systems Company Information