3.2/5 (117 ratings)
Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

About Alder Security

Alder Security offers home security systems for those who want basic coverage. It’s also known for its fast response times. The basic package is affordable and offers a nice line of equipment. Alder bills itself as a simple home solution that doesn’t go over the top in terms of the latest and most technologically involved equipment.

Pros

• Fast response time
    • Affordable plans
    • Professional and DIY installation

Cons

• Difficult cancellation process
    • Pricing not available on website

Bottom Line

Alder Security offers affordable basic plans for medical emergencies and break-ins. Its cancellation process might not be the simplest, but we like its quick responses and options for DIY and professional installation.

What is Alder Security?

Alder Security is a company that specializes in easy-to-install, high-quality home security systems at low prices. The company emphasizes the plug-and-play design, which makes it simple for homeowners to install on their own with no rewiring or drilling. The company provides 24/7 monitoring based in the U.S. and also offers safety features like smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, flood and freeze sensors and medical alert pendants. It sends instant alerts to your phone.

How does Alder Security work?

With Alder, you can opt for either DIY or professional installation. Alder Security also has an app that allows you to control and monitor your system. If needed, Alder can provide a medical alert pendant, a small device that integrates with your Alder system — when pushed, it alerts emergency services for help. If you’re worried about the speed in which help arrives, Alder claims an average response time of 3.4 seconds or less. We should note that some Alder security reviews mention the difficulty of canceling Alder home protection, though.

How much does Alder Security cost?

Equipment pricing is not available directly on Alder’s website, but you can fill out a short form online to receive a quote for equipment from Alder Security. For a basic security plan with a control panel, two entry sensors, glass break sensors and a motion sensor for a small home, you can expect to pay about $49 to start service and at least $39.99 per month.

Alder Security equipment

An Alder Security system setup is an uncomplicated three-step process. Although it doesn’t supply much extraneous equipment or many home automation options, it does offer security cameras for both indoors and outdoors, as well as Amazon Echo compatibility. If you're looking for something simple, Alder might be the right choice. Equipment offered by Alder Security includes:

alder security touchscreen panel
    Touch-screen panel
    alder security fire detector
    Fire detector
    alder security key remote
    Key remote
    alder security indoor and outdoor cameras
    Indoor and outdoor cameras
    alder security medical button
    Medical button
    alder security door and window sensors
    Door and window sensors

• Medical pendant
    • Medical button
    • Key remote

Alder Security installation

Although Alder Security has a professional installation option, it also has a simple DIY option. To set up the system yourself, all you have to do is plug in and program the touch panel, place the sensors in the correct location, put the Alder sign in your lawn and download the Alder Security app. If there are any issues, Alder support is available online or by phone.

Alder Security FAQ

Does Alder have security cameras?

Yes, Alder Security offers both indoor and outdoor cameras.

Can renters get an Alder security system?

Yes, Alder’s systems are available for homeowners, renters and commercial properties.

How do you install Alder security systems?

Alder offers both professional and DIY installation options. If you choose to install the equipment yourself, you can plug in the equipment and get the system working in minutes.

Where is Alder Security based?

Alder Security is based in Orem, Utah, and serves the U.S. exclusively.

Is Alder Security good?

Yes. We think Alder Security is a good choice for those who want a basic system — it’s known for its simplicity and response times, and its medical alert pendant is another solid reason to consider the company. Just make sure you’re comfortable with its pricing and equipment, as canceling may be difficult. Alder Security also has a “Verify Rep” feature that lets callers ask to enter a rep’s badge number on the company website to make sure the person really works for Alder.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alder Security?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alder Security?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

On 9/15/22 my back door was opened and 1 minute later the alarm activated. I was across the country and pulled up my camera system to make sure kids had turned lights off and heard my alarm sounding. It had been going off for over 4 minutes. I disarmed it from my app and checked cameras. I was not contacted nor was law enforcement. I have made 3 phone calls totaling nearly 2 hours with customer service and tech support. I have been told it's a faulty door sensor, faulty control panel, poor internet connection, and my kids' error in setting the alarm. I never complained about the equipment, my only question to them was why my alarm went off for over 4 minutes and no one was notified. They stated it has to sound for 5-10 minutes before anyone is called. Seriously?!?

My alarm was activated in the past due and I know for fact that I was called within 2 minutes and law enforcement was called immediately after when I was unable to be reached. Do they realize the amount of damage/harm an intruder can do in 5-10 minutes? This is completely unacceptable. They offered little apology and no resolution to this problem. I used to feel safer with an alarm system but Alder and their lack of concern and blame game has definitely changed my mind.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

My system has not worked for 4 months. I made multiple appointments to have a rep. Come fix it. Nobody showed, no phone call, nothing. Although the last appointment I made was in the morning, got a call in the afternoon to reschedule. Anyway, they kept taking the money out of my account, and said they would credit me for the lost time when it was fixed.

I got tired of the ** and told them I wanted to terminate my service. They said I needed to pay over 3,000 dollars to get out of it. I refused, because they need to hold up their end of the contract too. I wrote multiple emails and a letter to their legal, compliance, CEO, and customer service. The only response I got was from customer service saying I needed to pay the 3,000 and some dollars. So I put a stop payment on them from my bank, and here I sit almost 5 months later, still no response. Going to send all their equipment to their CEO tomorrow, because they have absolutely no clue how to treat customers.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

My experience with this company is the back up battery does not work and I keep on having breaking in. When the power shut down the system freezes so anyone can shut down the power and come in. They want you to get a small screwdriver for their product. The screwdriver should have came with the product. They knew the screws were small.

Original review: July 30, 2022

Update**** 7/30/2022**** One of the wired cameras in my home caught fire and when I called Alder to explain this and tell them I wanted to cancel to go wireless for the safety of my family they told me I had to PAY THEM to get out of the contract although their equipment malfunctioned endangering family. But all they could think about qas MONEY!!!! I AM EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED that the safety and welfare of my family is less important than them collecting a DOLLAR!!!! They deserve NO RATING AT ALL!!!

Original review: July 27, 2022

Since February 28, 2022 my security panel has not operated due to a communications failure. I called Alder Security that same evening to report the issue and was told someone would call me back. No one contacted me so I called again on March 1st and spoke to a technician. He walked me through how to complete a systems test. The systems test failed and the tech informed me that the 3G panel needed to be updated with a 5G panel. He said that someone would call me with a date for installation of the new panel. I did not receive a call for an appointment.

On June 7th I received a phone call from a representative named Chris. He stated that my account was past due by $94.76. I told him that I had not had service to my panel in over 3 months. Chris transferred me to tech Support and after being placed on hold the line changed over to a busy signal. A rep named Jeff returned my call and stated that installation will not be available until October due to a lack of available technicians. He also said that the 5G panel could be sent to my address for me to install. I advised him that I do not have the expertise to install a security panel. Chris said that someone will contact me with a date in October to install the 5G panel.

Later that day (June 7th) another rep named Maxie called about the past due amount. She stated that I owed $148.49. I told her that a rep from her company had contacted me earlier that day and said I owed $94.76. She said that the amount due for June had been added. I advised her that I still do not have service to my panel. She stated that I needed to pay the amount due now and later my account would be adjusted for the downtime once my service was reconnected. Later that same day (June 7th) I received a third call from a rep named Ernie about my past due account. Again, I told the rep that I do not have any service and he transferred me to another rep named Shea. She stated that I could pay 50% of the balance and the company would waive the other 50%. I repeated the fact that their company has not provided the agreed upon service.

I was transferred back to Ernie who told me I was under contract. I advised him that the contract requires his company to provide a service in exchange for my payment and I have not had service since February 28th. He tried to get an earlier installation date but there was not a date earlier than October. Since June 7th representatives have continued to call me every day, multiple times a day to harass me about the balance. When I talked to them I informed them that I will not pay for a service that is not being provided. The company sent me a collection notice at the beginning of July requesting payment even though I should not have a balance because they have not provided service.

I am requesting that Alder Security stops harassing me because I do not owe them any money. To this date no one from their company has scheduled an installation appointment for a working panel. Under the terms of the contract the company is required to provide security monitoring service in exchange for payment. Alder Security violated that contract and should let me out of the contract without paying a penalty. Also, they need to stop harassing me and remove any “past due” amount because I do not owe for services not rendered.

Original review: July 1, 2022

When I signed up, my experience with Alder Security was good, but the ending was horrible. I got the product, but I couldn't get it to connect. They told me that they don't have people that come out. I had to call a third party that was extremely hard to get in contact with. Then the third party set up an appointment and never came out. When I called the third party back to set up an appointment, they said they don't know how long it would be to get somebody out. They would have to call me when somebody was available, and they don't know when that's going to be.

I called Alder back and let them know what was going on. They said there's nothing they can do. So, I sent back all the equipment. Then it took them five weeks to give me back my money and they held $100 off that money. They didn't give me my full reimbursement. They said it was a restocking fee, but I don't understand why they had to restock my system when this was not our fault. It was a new service that couldn't even get hooked up. I explained that to them. I would understand if I hooked up the system and then wound up not liking it.

Original review: July 1, 2022

Alder Security was horrible. I had nothing but issues. To get ahold of somebody is forever. It took a week for me to get ahold of somebody. I canceled them about three months ago. Now, they're calling me and asking me for payment. I liked their pricing. It was $30 cheaper. I should have gone with somebody else, though. Their customer service was horrible. They pass me from one person to the next person. Nobody had an answer. It was like the blind leading the blind. The quality of the equipment was good. I did have a couple of the door chimes that were dysfunctional. They finally sent me new ones, but they didn't send the equipment that I asked for. They sent everything else but what I asked. I'd tell others not to do it.

Original review: July 1, 2022

I liked Adler Security’s options and I could buy the set and everything that I have, rather than paying the monthly rental, which lowered my monthly bill. Plus, I could pay a year at a time and get two months free. I was able to buy the system, and then install it and get everything for less than half of what ADT was going to charge me. The system was easy to set up though the doorbell camera was a little tricky. But that was more because my router has both a 2.4 gig and a 5 gig and both of them have the same password at the same time, and it swaps between the two, whichever one's got more bandwidth. I had to separate those to where each had a separate password because the system only works on 2.4 gig. They advertised that they noted it.

Once I realized what was going on, I was able to get the camera hooked up without a problem. But I had a deal where I was playing with the control module. Unbeknownst to me, the trip switch on the back of it issued an alarm. My phone goes to silent at 11:00 at night and I'm playing with it sometime between 11:00 and midnight. They were trying to get ahold of me and couldn't because my phone was on silent. So, the next thing I knew, a cop was knocking on my door and was asking me if I was okay. So, their vigilance of the system is good.

I'm happy with Alder Security so far. I wish their accessories were a little cheaper though or that you could buy off-the-shelf accessories, like any webcam hooked to the system. I am planning on buying another outdoor cam and four more water monitors to stick under sinks. I'm looking to amplify the system. The outdoor camera, though they don't say and don't provide it, is capable of taking a solar panel charge unit to where you don't have to pull the camera down and charge it with a USB cord. You can just connect the solar panel with the charging type deal up to it and you never have to take it down. They don't advertise it and they only advertise the solar panel charging unit. So, you have to buy that off of Amazon.

Looking back through Adler's cameras, some of them had individual rechargeable battery cells, like C or D-sized batteries. It’s about as big as a fist type battery and it’s going to be hard to find the battery to replace it. So, you're gonna have to buy it from them. But I bought the solar panel and hooked up to it. It'd be nice if they had advertised that in their paperwork. If you have to take it down, you're charging the batteries that I have and my camera takes approximately 12 to 14 hours to get a full charge and that's with a rapid USB charger. But it lasts about a month and a half, depending on movement. And with the solar panel, you don't have to worry about that. It's charged all the time.

Original review: July 1, 2022

I saw that Alder Security was simple and I thought a technician would come out and install it. But it turned out I had to install it. The screws are very small and you need a particular screwdriver to reset their motion and their base to the alarm system when it shuts down. You cannot reset it when it shuts down. That's what I'm having a problem with them now. When the power was shut down, their system shut down. They told me they have a backup battery but they do not.

I'm in Peoria Housing Authority seniors building and I'm already missing $100,000 worth of my stuff at the apartment. I don't need the same incident that happened here. I gotta take a picture of every little single thing that I have when I moved and that's including food and everything else that I have. I told Alder that it doesn't make any sense that they're pulling money out of my account when I'm not fully secure. They gave me a choice to pay out of my contract or give it to somebody else that can take the responsibility. But who wants to take responsibility for a system does not even work?

I moved into my apartment in April and I had a problem then with my system. Alder is supposed to give me a new panel but every time I talked to someone, they would say they didn't say anything like that and that everything looks fine on their end. I told them that it went down again the second time when the power went out or when the janitors can go into the building and shut my power off from downstairs. You can open my door without this alarm coming on because that was what happened to me last Saturday. I came into my apartment and I set my alarm. I took my niece back home and when I came back, my alarm did not go off.

All of my coats, jackets, sweaters, anything that I thought that was hanging with a hanger, I took all that down off my racks and packed that up on the side of my bed and took pictures of them. Everything is all gathered up into three piles but all on one side. That way, I can see what is taken out of my house. I called this alarm system company explaining to them, "When this power shuts out, your system does not work." But they are not understanding that and they don't want to hear it. I told them today, "Do not pull out of my account because I will pull my card down because it's unfair for me to let y'all keep pulling out of my account for a system that does not guarantee any working." When you leave your house, you want to be secure.

Original review: July 1, 2022

I have Alder Security in one of my rental properties. I purchased it in January or February of this year and I have yet to be able to use it. It's just sitting there. I'm paying a monthly fee for it but the home is not secure. I've called Alder several times and I told them there was something wrong with the system but they refuse to send out a new system so that I can return the old one. I've been on the phone with them trying to troubleshoot the problem and the system is still not working. It's been horrible.

I have a security alarm in my home and if I had issues, they would just replace it. But with Alder, each person that I spoke to said the issue was not the system to just troubleshoot. I sat on the phone with them for two hours on three occasions and it didn't work and I just got tired. I want to return this and I want to refund it from day one because it's not working.

Alder Security Company Information