3.8/5 (178 ratings)
Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

About Alder Security

Alder Security offers home security systems for those who want basic coverage. It’s also known for its fast response times. The basic package is affordable and offers a nice line of equipment. Alder bills itself as a simple home solution that doesn’t go over the top in terms of the latest and most technologically involved equipment.

Pros

• Fast response time
    • Affordable plans
    • Professional and DIY installation

Cons

• Difficult cancellation process
    • Pricing not available on website

Bottom Line

Alder Security offers affordable basic plans for medical emergencies and break-ins. Its cancellation process might not be the simplest, but we like its quick responses and options for DIY and professional installation.

What is Alder Security?

Alder Security is a company that specializes in easy-to-install, high-quality home security systems at low prices. The company emphasizes the plug-and-play design, which makes it simple for homeowners to install on their own with no rewiring or drilling. The company provides 24/7 monitoring based in the U.S. and also offers safety features like smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, flood and freeze sensors and medical alert pendants. It sends instant alerts to your phone.

How does Alder Security work?

With Alder, you can opt for either DIY or professional installation. Alder Security also has an app that allows you to control and monitor your system. If needed, Alder can provide a medical alert pendant, a small device that integrates with your Alder system — when pushed, it alerts emergency services for help. If you’re worried about the speed in which help arrives, Alder claims an average response time of 3.4 seconds or less. We should note that some Alder security reviews mention the difficulty of canceling Alder home protection, though.

How much does Alder Security cost?

Equipment pricing is not available directly on Alder’s website, but you can fill out a short form online to receive a quote for equipment from Alder Security. For a basic security plan with a control panel, two entry sensors, glass break sensors and a motion sensor for a small home, you can expect to pay about $49 to start service and at least $39.99 per month.

Alder Security equipment

An Alder Security system setup is an uncomplicated three-step process. Although it doesn’t supply much extraneous equipment or many home automation options, it does offer security cameras for both indoors and outdoors, as well as Amazon Echo compatibility. If you're looking for something simple, Alder might be the right choice. Equipment offered by Alder Security includes:

alder security touchscreen panel
    Touch-screen panel
    alder security fire detector
    Fire detector
    alder security key remote
    Key remote
    alder security indoor and outdoor cameras
    Indoor and outdoor cameras
    alder security medical button
    Medical button
    alder security door and window sensors
    Door and window sensors

• Medical pendant
    • Medical button
    • Key remote

Alder Security installation

Although Alder Security has a professional installation option, it also has a simple DIY option. To set up the system yourself, all you have to do is plug in and program the touch panel, place the sensors in the correct location, put the Alder sign in your lawn and download the Alder Security app. If there are any issues, Alder support is available online or by phone.

Alder Security FAQ

Does Alder have security cameras?
    Yes, Alder Security offers both indoor and outdoor cameras.
    Can renters get an Alder security system?
    Yes, Alder’s systems are available for homeowners, renters and commercial properties.
    How do you install Alder security systems?
    Alder offers both professional and DIY installation options. If you choose to install the equipment yourself, you can plug in the equipment and get the system working in minutes.
    Where is Alder Security based?
    Alder Security is based in Orem, Utah, and serves the U.S. exclusively.

Is Alder Security good?

Yes. We think Alder Security is a good choice for those who want a basic system — it’s known for its simplicity and response times, and its medical alert pendant is another solid reason to consider the company. Just make sure you’re comfortable with its pricing and equipment, as canceling may be difficult. Alder Security also has a “Verify Rep” feature that lets callers ask to enter a rep’s badge number on the company website to make sure the person really works for Alder.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alder Security?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alder Security?

Original review: April 9, 2022

I need Security. I'm in new home and thought Alder was real.. They have a contract and charging 39.99 for 3 yrs. Ok I was told much later after much Run Around with this company that I was signed up for 5 yrs.! The SENSORS ARE NO GOOD. The sensor are easily jammable.. The system was bypassed too many times. I asked they send the contract but was told I will receive it in a few days & will have time to change my mind. Well the contract Never came and was over two weeks and having issues with the unit and the SENSOR. I was Not happy about this and complained to customer service (once I did get them 45min later). Then he sent me to tech support who tested the system and said they were sorry but it's "WORKING NOW".... I would hear too many times these same words as the months go on. "Sorry about that... We don't know what happened but it's working now". I can't count how many times.

I do not want this. It doesn't work. They insist on running their tests on the unit then say, "Well, it's running now. Sorry for the inconvenience." They are not listening.. The unit works Okay If you are Home and Never leave. If that's what you want GOOD For you! **Panel failure. ***Cellular Communication Down. ** Communication to base station down. The unit communicates it doesn't work. The SENSORS do not always work. ****One tech said, "They are magnets, they're not always going to work." I have my alarm on but once door opens the unit was still on arm.

The time I ran their test they sent police. Why? I say. "You said you would call me first before dispatching the cops." IF you were monitoring as you say you would have known I was home running your test. The tech support sent me to customer service. An hour hold total and then it's actually the same person. He says, "ya, I'm customer service too." Ask for a Manager if you are stuck with the run around like this. I sent nice letter of complaint with their unit asking they Cancel whereas they breached their contract they never even sent me till about 2 yrs later!

Recently asked they send letter to confirm cancellation but instead they send a bill saying for monitoring. They did not monitor as they say. This is how they monitor. Unit or no unit...the monitoring is the same!. One big lie! The unit has been with them since December so figure that one out. Maybe they consider customer service as "Monitoring." ¿ The unit tells you there is a problem when you look at it. It was down all day and No one Alerted me of it. Better to get a Dog!!!! Little by lil stuff out of my place and as I continue to pay for it. Really bad! You been warned.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 31, 2022

I thought Alder Security was ADT, but it was not. The salesman was good but the customer service is not. They are no help at all. One of my cameras was broken when they shipped it in. They were telling me to take pictures of the camera and send it to them, then they'd send me another one. I work everyday, I don't have time for all that. When they shipped it in, they did it piece by piece, and I was very unsatisfied with that. Right now, the system is not working.

Original review: March 17, 2022

Everything went okay with the rep from Alder. The only thing I was concerned about was when my system went off one time and I waited for my phone to ring and it didn't, which was one thing I was not satisfied with. With my other system, as soon as it goes off, the police are calling me from downtown and asking for my code number. If I don't give it to them, the police would be knocking on my door.

Original review: March 16, 2022

I signed up with Alder in October 2020. I was looking for a alternative Security System than what I already had. Alder offered me a reduced price, and a 30 day cancelation period, instead of their usual 3 day cancelation period since I was unsure of signing up. I agreed to the *30 days.* I received the Equipment, and soon decided it was not for me. I canceled within those 30 days that I was promised and is STATED IN MY CONTRACT which I have proof of.

I also signed a written Contract Cancelation Notice form, and verbally canceled over the Phone as well, as instructed in the Contract, which I also have proof of. I was told when I gave my verbal cancelation that I would NOT need to return the equipment if my memory serves right, which I give Alder permission to playback the recording. I begun showing concern when I received a Collection Notice from Alder in the mail. I called Alder, and now the story is completely different. I need to return the equipment now. Well I requested a label mailed to me, which I didn't get since it was sent in the form of email, which would not work and I explained that since I do not have access to a Printer. I then made another request, to which I got the label and lost it, due to me having a very busy schedule, to which made me lose track of the label since it was something I set aside.

Today, I tried getting a label. I was told I'd need to contact Hillcrest Collections. I contacted them, to which they advised me that Alder provided them a copy of my Contract which was altered into saying "3 days" instead of "30 days" and never advised Hillcrest of my written cancelation signature. This is fraudulent on Alder's side, and I am taking this matter very seriously. My request to Alder is to advise the collection agency of the mistake, and close the account and zero out charges. If not, my next step would be to get in contact with an Attorney General and take Alder to court for misrepresentation of the Contract. Contact me ASAP to resolve this.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

We were looking for a security company to meet our specific needs. Dad is in a wheelchair, We both work. We had paid for another "elderly type security company for a long time. It didn't meet our needs as a family. After a "hair-raising experience of the police" coming through our front door at 1AM in the morning and seeing ambulances and fire trucks out our window because of a faulty alarm system. We decided to find something that more fit our needs. I researched several and chose Alder Security, talked to a rep from the company and they seemed to fit our needs. They were listed in the top recommendations so we felt they were fine.

After.... We went through over the phone & internet contract "signing" the agent started to read it back to me, that's when the five year unbreakable contract came into sight!!! ... I was like whoa! But the agent was like "I'm sorry, too late, you already signed!!! ... Most contracts are 2 year minimum, NOT 5 YEARS.... We needed the safety type service for Dad... Not for "security purposes", so we could check on him throughout our day for a peace of mind he was ok. (And check to see that he hadn't fallen and was on the floor) We work a 6 minute drive away & take turns checking the security cameras during the day. Dad is now 80, and still in decent health despite the wheelchair, but if he should pass away we are stuck with a system we don't need any longer. We assumed Dad would probably make it another 2 years when we were looking... BUT questioned 5 years!!

We have called Alder several times about a 5 Year Unbreakable Contract! .... I had to put the contract in my name because Dad lost his ability to speak clearly from his stroke... And we handle all his finances. We ask if we could transfer into Dad's name when we found out it was a 5 year contract, in case Dad died. They said NO! We are ok with the system, sometimes it goes down and we have to figure out how to reset it.... And it uses two different apps for viewing which is a pain at times. Fo what we pay we haven't been totally satisfied.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

The company signed me up and sent me equipment. I called in when I received the equipment because the equipment would not work at my house because I have wifi only. They did not cancel my account as requested and to date they have taken $425 out of my account. They state that since the cancellation was after the window (which is a lie) that they will not be refunding me any monies. They waited for the contract to go into effect before acknowledging any of my call ins And then didn't send me a label until November which was 5 months after my initial request. That bought them 4 months to charge my account. Even though they acknowledge I called in and cancelled within 30 days of receipt. DO NOT EVER USE THESE GUYS. They are unethical.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

Alder was average in providing Alarm service. It's not a complicated service but the areas of weakness were that they often didn't call for 20-30 minutes after the alarm went off and they didnt have the zones mapped properly to say which sensor had gone off. We lived with both of those situations but the reason for the poor rating is that they are dishonest. I sent written notice cancelling service after 7 years in July and yet 4 months later they are still billing me saying I didnt follow their process. Despite many emails and calls they will not cancel my service.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

Can never get thru, they send you to different departments, your questions are never answered to your satisfaction. Trying to cancel services, sent info they requested (their website states "you just need to put your request in writing"), but still won't answer your questions or cancel the service. Customer service is terrible (unless you want to request or add products). Been calling for 3 days straight, each rep tells me something different of why they can't cancel services or sends me to another department. They won't return your phone call and when they do you are sent to a different department! Never doing business with Alder Security again! Worst company ever, and still no resolution to my concerns or questions!

Original review: July 16, 2021

Rarely am I this disappointed in a company. I haven't even been able to use the equipment and they are charging me and offer very poor customer service. I did not give Alder a star because they have not even earned one star yet. Again, was excited but this company does not live up to what they sell you.

Original review: May 15, 2021

I was always told if I didn't have anything good to say don't say anything at all. I wish not to say anything. I wish to look at a new system that can work for me. Do that is what my priority will be.

Alder Security Company Information