4.83/5

Get matched with the best Home Security System.

CPI Security Systems

CPI Security has been a leader in customized home security and smart home automation for over 25 years. CPI provides innovative solutions to make lives safer, easier, and more convenient through state of the art technology, round the clock monitoring, and excellent customer service. As one of the only providers to design, install, monitor, and service their own security systems, our commitment to high standards is evident.

Get matched with the best Home Security System.

CPI Security Systems Reviews

Original review: July 5, 2019

I cannot say enough good things about CPI. I have had to call them on several occasions and the representatives I spoke with were amazing. I was having to deal with a terrible situation and had to change my codes, get cameras installed, etc. They were so helpful and even sent me hand written thank you notes with personal messages about how they hoped I was doing ok. I have had CPI for probably 15 years now and I cannot imagine using any other security company.

Very grateful,

Julie

CPI Security Systems response
      Hello, Julie. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It’s great to hear that you're satisfied with the customer service provided! Thank you for being a long-term member of the CPI Family.

Quality Assurance Team

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I had arranged for a temporary suspension of service while moving from one house to another and found the service had not been paused as ordered. When I called to correct the problem the service staff were pleasant, efficient, and immediately corrected the problem and gave me a credit for my over payment. While this may seem like a service problem to some I saw it as excellent service. Most companies are difficult to deal with when they have made a mistake; it's like a war to get the problem corrected. I would note this is the only issue I have had with CPI in several years of service at two locations. I find the service easy to use, especially the phone app, very effective, and all the staff pleasant and knowledgeable. It's really delightful to work with a company like CPI.

CPI Security Systems response
      Hi Linda, Thank you for providing your review on CPI Security. We appreciate the feedback and are always looking for ways to improve. Please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions, at all.

Quality Assurance Team

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Michael was an outstanding installation technician, and we are very happy with the system in our new home. He called ahead of time as promised, arrived on time, and did a very thorough job of getting our system installed an up and running.

CPI Security Systems response
      Hello Stephen. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It’s great to hear that you're satisfied with the customer service Michael provided! Thank you for being a long-term member of the CPI Family.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I have been with CPI since 2003. My system was getting old and CPI came in changed out my whole system to update it to work with cellular towers. My system has gone through many changes and additions in the last 15 years and had become complicated due to home additions and structural changes. I was most pleased with the technician Jed ** who took on the task of changing out the system and bringing it back up to work in modern times. It was a complicated switch out and I was impressed that he constantly wanted to make sure everything was to my liking... and that I understood all the new changes and how to work the new system. Thanks Jed!

CPI Security Systems response
      Hello Patricia. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It’s great to hear that you're satisfied with the customer service Jed provided! Thank you for being a long-term member of the CPI Family.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Justin came out to get our cameras hooked up to our account and he went "above and beyond" making sure our entire security system was set up probably. He also noticed that certain door contacts could be placed in a better position for added security and showed us how to use features on the system that suited our needs. We really appreciated that he wanted to make sure the whole system was set up in the best possible way, even though he was just coming out for the cameras. Big thanks to Justin!!

CPI Security Systems response

Hi Greg. Thanks for providing us with your feedback. We're happy to hear you're enjoying the system and that Justin was so helpful! Thanks for choosing CPI Security. Let us know if we can help with anything else.

Quality Assurance Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CPI Security Systems?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I've had CPI for 18 months and have called Every 2/3 months due to The Doorbell Camera. It's a hit or miss (mostly Miss) if it picks up Any movement Unless someone is Actually on my doorstep. I just had My 3rd doorbell replaced Nov 18th! (I Did get a 3 month reduction on my bill) All worked fine when the Tech left. TODAY Nov 19th, A package was delivered to my door And the camera Not only Didn't pick up the person walking to my door, But didn't record him on My doorstep...In Front of The Camera!! I'm Beyond Frustrated! I Definitely Will be making a decision at the end of my contract.

CPI Security Systems response
      Hi, S. Thank you for taking the time to provide your review on CPI Security. We are sorry to hear of the frustrations surrounding your doorbell camera. We value your feedback and are always looking for ways to improve. We would like to speak with you for more details, please provide us with a good contact number and I will have a member from our Customer Care Leadership team reach out directly; or you may contact us at your earliest convenience at care@cpisecurity.com or 1-800-948-7133, extension 6280. Thank you for being a valuable member of the CPI Family.

Quality Assurance Team

Original review: July 12, 2019

Nick was my salesman and Curt was my installer. These guys are exceptional employees and go above the call of duty to answer questions, confirm that I know how to operate the system. Curt spent all day on my job because he had a lot to do. He was very courteous, kind towards my family and our dog and an overall joy to be around!! Great job guys!!

CPI Security Systems response
      Hello, Daryl. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review, and welcome to the CPI Family! We hope you enjoy your new security system and the peace of mind it brings. Don't hesitate to reach out with any questions or if you need anything else!

Quality Assurance Team

Original review: June 4, 2019

I have taken CPI Security services 3 years back and the sales guy has never mentioned about the 5 years contract. As I was handling multiple things at that time to move into the new house, I didn't read through all of their small written contents. I called CPI Services last week and they said the sales guy should have told you and they were not good in even responding. They were talking like do whatever you want to do. I even told them that I will take it to blogs and social media and they are not worried. They provide the worst services. It's like cheating people without informing about the contract details. I have learnt from our community that some of them got only 3 years contract. I am not at all satisfied with their services and I badly wanted to get out of their services.

CPI Security Systems response

Hello, Praneeth. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We value your business and apologize for the frustration this has caused. I have located your account and a member of the Customer Support leadership team will be in contact shortly. Please contact us directly if you need anything further.

Quality Assurance Team

Original review: May 19, 2019

Terrible, short sighted decision to hold customers to the fire in the final months of their contract. Congrats on getting the $400 and losing a customer for a lifetime. Additionally, they've replied on my Google review to leave the facade of actually caring about their customers. The number they asked me to call is a generic customer service line that never actually got me to speak with anyone or anywhere. Then, I called the next day and spoke with someone who said they'd have the manager Andy or Matt call. That also did not happen. They're trash. Do NOT trust your family, safety, money with this company.

Hello,
      Thank you for your review. We understand that you have concerns surrounding your agreement with CPI, and in particular the cancellation process and early termination fee.
      We are sorry for any inconvenience and frustration you’ve endured throughout the cancellation process. It is very much our desire to keep you as a happy customer and continue protecting your home and family as we have done in the past. However, we respect the fact that you’ve chosen to terminate services with us. As outlined in your executed agreement, A fee is applicable as the initial terms of the agreement have not been fulfilled.
      CPI feels we have acted ethically and within our contractual arrangements. We hope to restore your faith in CPI at some point in the future and hope that you will entrust us once again to provide protection and peace of mind for your home and family.

Quality Assurance Team

Original review: May 4, 2019

I have tried to work with this company now for months. They are nice, polite and respectful but terribly inept, at least with me and my system. Let me explain (apologies for the long post but this would be a great comedy if it were not so annoying and irritating). When we go the system initially, I wanted one of the more updated panels but was told by the installer that my house could not use it because my garage was too far away. My daughter had just got a system with the updated panel and I measured the distance to her garage and found it to be a foot further away from her house than my garage was from mine so the explanation didn't make sense. I complained but CPI refused to change out my panel for less than an additional $300. OK, so I gave up on that. A few weeks later, one of our windows sensors went off without any cause and set off an alarm.

WE had to wait several days for a tech to get out and had to disable the sensor to keep it from going off (the sensor is on a ground floor window so not the best scenario). The tech came after several days and put in a new sensor. I’ll say here that all of the techs (I have had a bunch come out) have been polite and respectful even if it was painfully apparent that some did not fully know what to do. Next we had the episodes involving the smoke detectors. I have 2 in the house, one on each floor. First the upstairs starting going off with no reason (no fires, no flame, no smoke, no reason). That was fixed by another tech and a week or so later the other one started doing the same thing. Same drill again, no smoke, no reason for it to go off. Another tech came and replaced that one. This time the tech said that the older panel I had might have been causing some of my issues and I ought to get a new panel.

I explained to him that I had asked for that in the beginning but was denied. He said I should call and check which I did the next day. I spoke with customer care and was told sure, they would put in a new panel but it would cost $300. I sighed and said, “No thank you, I cannot afford that” and hung up. The more I thought about it the angrier I got. All of this aggravation I had gone through, all of the days I was not able to use my system may have been caused by a panel that I never wanted in the first place. I then decided that I wanted to let people know about this. No one should have to worry about the one system they rely on to be dependable. I have had several other companies over the past 10 years and stayed with them unless they went out of business or raised their prices higher than I could afford. All of them for the most part just worked. This was my first experience with a company that I had recurring problems with the system.

I wrote up my experience to that point and posted it. I did not think anything would happen but I got several emails for others who thanked me for sharing my experience. In addition, I got a call from a customer care rep from CPI. He said that he wanted to make it right. OK, that is fine but at this point, I did not see how they could. The equipment was hit or miss and the panel I should have (and had initially requested) was out of my reach. I explained to him that I just wanted to finish out the remaining contract period and drop CPI and find another company, At that point, I felt that was all I could do. Since he was unable to really offer anything that I felt was meaningful (at least from my standpoint) we ended the call with him saying he was going to try and find alternatives for me. I appreciated that but did not have any expectations.

The next day, he called me again and this time said he had gotten permission to install the panel I wanted free of charge and would also give me a discount over three months. I said that was fine and asked when it would be done. He said I would be on the first available schedule and asked if I would reconsider updating my review. I said I would but wanted to wait until I got the panel in and had at least a couple weeks of experience since I had not great performance from their devices and systems over time. He said that was fine and I would be notified when a tech was on the way. 5 weeks later I got a call that a tech was coming. He showed up (again, respectful, polite and pleasant as all but one of them have been) and proceeded to install the panel. He got it installed and tested all of the sensors. Everything seemed to go fine and I was pleased with the new panel.

After he had left, I noticed that the old main control box (used with the old system) I’m told still had the cover off and some wires sticking out. I was able to put the cover back on since I did not want it open with those wires out (it was in a closet so not terribly impacting or visible but still worrisome). My wife and I enjoyed the new panel and decided to watch some of the instructional videos that were available on the panel itself. While viewing one, the screen suddenly went dark. Nothing we could do would bring it back. Since we could not see anything, we could not use the panel at all. I called CPI again (they are on my speed dial now) and was told that a tech would be out in three days. Consequently, my system was pretty much unusable until a new tech arrived.

Three days later a polite, respectful and pleasant tech arrived and after taking the panel apart decided to install a new one. He started to go through the install process and I noted that he called someone and had them walk him through how to do the install which did not give me a lot of confidence, particularly in light of the experiences I had had already. (Side note: I showed him the old control box and asked if that could be removed. He said, “Yes, just take a screwdriver and take it down.” I said, “It’s your box, I have no use for it.” I went back to my office (in the hose) and did not notice until after he left that the box was still on the wall. I sighed and got a screwdriver. As I was taking it down, sparks flew from one of the wires. Realizing that it was not, as he had indicated ready to be taken down, I carefully closed it up and left it along. I am going to ask the next tech to remove it).

Like the previous tech, he checked all the sensors and I noted that he took the covers of which is not something I saw the other techs do. I thought nothing of it until the next day when I got a call from CPI about a glass breakage sensor. Since I had just spoken with my wife who was in the home with our granddaughter, I was understandably anxious. I called her back immediately and she said all was well, no one was near the sensor, there had been no glass breaking and she was at a loss to why I was called. About this time, I got a call from a lady at CPI who left me a VM. She said she was a Customer Care supervisor and wanted to work with us to make things better. I called her back but got her VM. I left her a message that I appreciated that and then told her about the problem since the latest install but have not, as of this writing heard back.

Later that evening, we had another sensor give a false alarm. This was getting scary. The next morning, as my wife and I were leaving, we set the system to Away and started out the door. The alarm immediately went off. I disarmed it and insured that the option for no delay was NOT selected, it had not been. We tried again with the same result. Once again our system was unusable. WE are about to call CPI yet again for help but my expectation is that all of the issues will not be resolved. I guess I have lost all confidence in them to be able to resolve the problems we have with our system. I am now back to where I was when I wrote my first review. CPI, is a company with lots of good, polite and respectful people and I truly believe they try and some people have no problems but I can only relate my experience as factually as I can. I just wish I had never selected them.

CPI Security Systems response
      Hello, David. Thank you for taking the time to provide your review on CPI Security. We are sorry to hear of your frustrations and we would like the opportunity to speak with you. Could you provide us with your address or phone number so a member from our Customer Care leadership team can reach out to you directly? If you have further questions, please contact us directly.

CPI Security Systems expert review by Ben Mannes

Wireless home security plans start at $29.99/month with 60-month contracts. CPI charges a $99 activation fee for homeowners and $299 for renters.

• Security equipment: You can get indoor and outdoor security cameras and light controls, touchscreen door locks, 24/7 video recording and more. You can control your devices through Amazon Alexa or Sonos One.

• Professional installation: All CPI systems are professionally installed to ensure your home security system is set up correctly from the start.

• IVAN: Intelligent Video Activity Notifications (IVAN) provide alerts when anyone is coming or going. Access video clips from your mobile device.

• Existing home security systems: CPI can provide monitoring services for an existing home alarm system without installing new equipment.

• Availability: Wireless home security system installation and 24/7 monitoring services are available in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Virginia, Maryland, Alabama, Florida and Tennessee.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
      Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

CPI Security Systems Company Information