2.11/5

Get matched with the best Home Security System.

Cox Homelife

Get matched with the best Home Security System.

Cox Homelife Reviews

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

The system rarely works. It once locked me out of my own house with the alarm system locked at midnight while my family was sleeping. It's atrocious and the cameras never work. I have been required to call customer service on several occasions with no proper support or advice.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Do you know what Hell is? Well, I will tell you my hell...My “Hell” is dealing with Cox Communication. I have experienced the most ineffectual and poor customer service since I attempted the small feat of moving my Cox service across the hall to my new apartment in July.. I spoke to a rep in July who asked if I wanted to add Cox Homelife to my account since it was a great product and that they were offering if for FREE. The adage that you get what you pay for should have been high in my memory bank. She told me that I could cancel the service within 30 days if it was not as I expected; I verified with her that canceling the service would not affect my Bundle price Anyways, I get the service and true to form, it is horrible. It has been installed poorly so it chirps every fifteen minutes which is very frustrating.

I called back within the allotted thirty days to cancel the service and verified again that my Bundle deal would not be affected negatively because I canceled the Homelife service. Imagine my surprise when I got a bill stating that my service would increase by about…ummmm, 200.00 per month...because I lost the Bundle discount. I called and spoke to Bosha on September 4th about the increase. And, she said that it was because I lost the Bundle discount which I explained that I was told that it would not be taken but that's neither here nor there, how do I fix it? Bosha said that she would set up an appointment for the 11th to have Homelife reinstalled and to fix the issue. I called back on the 11th when no one came and spoke to a supervisor/manager, Deborah, who explained that Bosha never completed the request so that meant that my husband wasted a half day off since we had to reschedule the appointment for the next week.

I then received a bill for 300.00 to install Homelife which I refused to pay because I only got the service because the install fee had been waived. I called again to rectify this and was transferred to the requisite...deep sarcasm...four associates, one including Tonya who transferred me to another associate, when I asked to speak to a supervisor. I received ANOTHER email with the incorrect installation date so I called and had the date changed to Tuesday, the 24th, from 5 pm until 7pm. I received an email and a phone call today verifying today’s erroneous install date. I called and spoke to Andrea, a supervisor, who informed me that they cannot install from 5-7 because they would not have complete time to install.

This is the epitome of a Comedy of Errors. Cox is hell. I would leave but they have a monopoly in my building. Sooo, basically, I am going through Hell to have them install a service that is horrible and that I never wanted. Oh, yeah, I just got a late notice for my bill that was supposed to be postponed until they fix this phenomenal mess. Yeah, Cox.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I have been a Cox Communication customer for over 25 years. Recently I moved to a new place and requested service from cox. They show up with their technician talking about a new service "HOMELIFE" which I never agreed to. Installed the video camera and talked about all the benefits and that it is absolutely free with no charge. I got a bill for $400 charges on the equipment and service. I had to call on three separate occasion and wasted 1 hour each time being passed around from one person to the next promising that they would credit my account. Yesterday morning they disconnected my service and when I called them after being passed around to about 6 different people in order to restore my service they made me pay for the equipment for $270.00 something they said was free. They have the most dishonest employees, they are thieves. I will look for other services as I am disgusted by this company's greed and lies.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I purchased Cox Homelife in a bundle but after having the service for several months I noticed continuing fees for equipment that they had up charged without making me aware of. Customers service said it was in an email that I never got and said there was nothing they would do about it.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

SO, where to begin. Started the service on July 15th, 2019 and reported on July 18th that I do not want Homelife security and they made me keep it stating they have open up a case for it and then keep diverting me to sales guys to make me keep the service. I finally took all the equipment out and went to nearest COX center, deposited it and ask them to call Homelife and they cancelled it finally! So I thought, "Ok it all over," but NO. They put an early termination fee on me for $750 and did not removed it and made me pay it! Horrible customer service and very rude people. Will never recommend this company to anyone and please stay away for them. They are not worth the price. I will suggest SimpliSafe, which is far more reasonable and very good customer service. Thanks, G

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox Homelife?

Original review: July 18, 2019

Called Cox and had Homelife set up. First bill, everything going according to the Contract. Received the 2nd bill. And I was charged the Equipment fee of 177.50 again. When I signed the Initial Contract the information reflected On the Equipment List It stated "Equipment Retail Cost 960.00, the amount you pay 177.50, Total Savings 782.50." So I called, supposedly a ticket was issued and I would hear back in a few weeks, it would be corrected. Paid the Bill and waited. Next Month called. Spoke with a few people, no explanation why I did not hear back before.

I was escalated to a Supervisor who informed me the contract should have reflected 177.50 x4 it was misprinted, I pointed to the clause in the contract (Clause 33) that says the equipment list is a part of the contract and what the pricing I agreed to was. Too bad so sad the charges are right. "We sent you a email that says x4." I reviewed my email and asked him to resend it (I have never received that email still to this day, not the resends). I then asked to speak with a manager regarding this issue and possible cancelation of this service. Was told I would be called back within 72 hours. Paid the bill and waited.

Flash to the next bill. Called Cox. Explained yet again, after being transferred to multiple people (never the manager I requested in the prior pall) yet another ticket has been issued. Despite the multiple people I have spoken with regarding this issue, I have been told things like, "The contract was misprinted. You should have contacted us within 60 days it says that in the contract (not that I have found) and I did regardless, 30 days from when the 2nd Billing occured. It's not our fault our representative didn't tell you. I need to let the sales reps managers know she didn't explain it correctly." I will pay the bill and wait again. The sad part it, I like the service. I have never really had a problem with Cox. But my advice, stay well away from headaches like this if you can.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I had the Homelife installed and had 3 days to cancel and return equipment. I returned it in 2. The second month they charged me 817.00 in cancellation fees. They are a rip off company with garbage equipment and I had to even spackle and paint after I got rid of their horrible equipment. After calling them many times and being told they would fix my bill they told me it was not being reversed anymore. They are rude and mean and their supervisors are most unprofessional and unhelpful. Go with a real company for home security. Not this trash.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I was with Cox for about 5 years. I attempted to unplug the security system from the wall, so that I wasn’t charged a fee; however sparks flew and I almost was electrocuted. Cox “said” they would waive the uninstallation fee, as I felt unsafe to unplug it myself. A week later, I see a charge for $105.93 FOR THE UNINSTALLATION FEE!!! I had to call 3 times before finally being able to get connected to a supervisor (the other times I was disconnected). The supervisor named Tyson ID# ** said he could only offer me 50% off, because NOTHING WAS WRITTEN IN THE NOTES. Cox wants to make any penny they can off of you. THEY HAVE NO RESPECT FOR THEIR CUSTOMERS, EVEN IF THEY ARE IN A NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE. I will never use them again and do not recommend them AT ALL. Stay away!

Original review: April 9, 2019

Purchasing a Cox Homelife system... being assured I would be able to cancel during the 6 month trial period... I had high hopes of being able to secure my home when away for half of each year. When I questioned. in advance of signing on the dotted line, of the recording capabilities of the system I was told I have fifty FREE recordings per camera each day.

However. the 720 mp cameras would never show a clear image of any object... even my stationary car... which appeared someone took a baseball bat to the hood... windshield leaving me freaked out about this sabotage to my nice car. Upon seeing the car firsthand I was relieved to see no damage at all. But the cameras’ images are soo poor one would never be able to identify a possible criminal caught in the act if it were to happen. What good is this for catching a perpetrator.

When contacting Homelife repeatedly... I should have kept a tally. I could not get any response to the problem with recording long term... by 11:00 am the fifty FREE recordings were used up from slight breezes. Turn down camera sensitivity... get no recordings. I wanted to buy or rent a dvr recording device... not offered during their transition to the cloud storage capabilities... which when ready I was assured I would be notified for getting this feature... NO COMMUNICATION.

Finally wishing to cancel before my 6 month trial period... I would be told a supervisor will call you in the next day or two... NOPE, no emails... NADA. Again calling back, told the same thing... NOPE. There goes the 6 month threshold for a complete refund for all incurred costs. So I stopped paying the $60.00/month payments for a service which was leaving my property 100% unprotected. THEN my bill for Homelife jumped to 500 dollars.

Then the following month it went to $871.24 for what? For not paying for an incompetent service from the get go... probably the amount to pay off the two year contract which ONE IS OBLIGATED to deal with without having the opportunity to cancel before the 6 month trial period as promised... because this CORRUPT BUSINESS plays smoke and mirrors with its customers/victims in order to profit on the unsuspecting people who really are POWERLESS against this entity simply by initiating a service sounding great from the sales representative... but the reality over the course of business dealings.. leaves me...OR it could be YOU! But reading this I’m sure you now know better! You are welcome!

By reading all reviews and getting an overall understanding of just how CRIMINAL this COX HOMELIFE entity is. Literally stealing money from those not aware before signing the contract... will be victimized. The little guy... just trying to protect the most valuable asset... the home... is being legally fleeced/robbed from a business entity... Cox Homelife... without any recourse... except for filing a lawsuit. Maybe someone willing to create a class action suit for this criminal activity of Cox Homelife will then and only then bring justice to the victims having experienced a similar financial loss without any customer support to get what was SUPPOSEDLY paid for... Ugh!

Original review: March 28, 2019

I have heart disease and when I got Cox Homelife, I felt more comfortable. My bills are too high though, but otherwise, my experience with them has been good. I would recommend them.

Cox Homelife expert review by Ben Mannes

A monitored system that can be bundled with internet, cable and/or phone service for Cox customers. It offers mobile monitoring, 24/7 monitoring and smart home automation. Choose from 2 packages for $29.99-$39.99 a month, with installation fees from $25-$50. Contracts are 3 years and include extended life warranty.

• Bundling option: Cox Homelife can be bundled with Cox Internet, TV and phone for convenience.

• Text/email alerts: Sign up for text and/or email alerts every time someone opens a door in your home.

• Home automation and control: You can remotely control your home’s thermostat, lights and small appliances. Lights can be put on a timer so you never have to come home to a dark house again.

• Locks control: Use your mobile device to lock and unlock your doors remotely.

• Cox Homelife app: Download the Cox Homelife app before you buy to take a tour and see everything Cox Homelife has to offer. Once you have made your purchase, use the app to remotely monitor and control your home from anywhere.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
      Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Cox Homelife Company Information