out of business
 2.5/5 (86 ratings)

About Cox Homelife

Cox Homelife is a home security provider that offers 24/7 monitoring and smart home technology. The company has optional add-ons, including carbon monoxide detectors, motion sensors and flood sensors. Plans start at $29.99 a month.

Find Home Alarm and Security Systems partners near you

Pros

• Easily customizable
    • Home automation available
    • Bundle options

Cons

• Limited availability
    • Undisclosed termination fees

Bottom Line

Cox Homelife offers systems to make your home safer and smarter. Bundling lets you combine security monitoring with internet and other Cox Communication services.

What is Cox Homelife?

Cox Homelife is a home security and automation service from Cox Communications. Its systems can be professionally monitored or self-monitored, and customers can bundle them with other Cox Communication services, including internet, cable or phone. Cox Homelife packages also come with options for smart home add-ons, such as lights and smart thermostats.

How does Cox Homelife work?

Cox Homelife customers choose between two different plans to find the right security system for their homes. Homeowners have the option to pay monthly for professional monitoring support.

The Cox Homelife app lets customers control their homes from wherever they are. Cox Homelife-compatible devices include:

• Apple iPhone 6 or newer
    • Google Nexus, Prime and Pixe
    • Samsung Galaxy S5 or newer

Through the Cox Homelife hub, homeowners can also create new accounts for other users. These accounts make it easier for family members or close friends to access and control your home.

Cox Homelife prices

Cox Homelife prices start at $29.99 per month. Customers choose from two base packages:

• Cox Homelife Automation ($29.99/month): Customers receive door and window alerts, live video feed and lighting control. The package also includes one high-definition camera, one door/window sensor and one smart LED lightbulb. Cox Homelife Automation is the ideal choice for customers who don’t want professional monitoring.
    • Cox Homelife Security ($49.99/month): Cox Homelife Security provides 24/7 professional monitoring in addition to its standard smart home features. Cox Homelife Security includes motion-sensing technology, a robust backup system and app connectivity. The starter kit comes with one high-definition camera, two door/window sensors and one indoor motion sensor.

Optional Cox Homelife equipment

Cox Homelife’s two security packages don’t include much equipment, but customers can easily add more products to customize their protection and automation systems. Homeowners can also buy the Digital Home Starter Kit for $200 to get more products, including:

• Smart door locks: Cox Homelife’s smart door locks replace traditional deadbolts with automated technology. These locks automatically lock after 30 seconds to make sure your home is completely secure at all times.
    • HD cameras: Check live video, take pictures and record videos with the Homelife high-definition camera. The camera comes standard in both Cox Homelife packages, and the system can support up to six cameras. Customers can even set rules and commands for when the camera records 15-second clips, such as when motion detectors go off.
    • Door and window sensors: Cox Homelife’s door and window sensors connect with other equipment to allow video recording, monitoring or alert connection. Cox Homelife systems support more than 10 door or window sensors.
    • Motion sensors: Cox Homelife's motion sensors detect movement up to 40 feet away with a 90-degree cone of coverage. Cox Homelife’s motion sensors also don’t trigger false alarms for pets less than 85 pounds.
    • Glass-break sensors: Cox Homelife's glass-break sensors connect directly to monitoring professionals. With the smart home automation system, customers can also choose to receive alerts. Both systems support more than 10 glass-break sensors.
    • Wireless keypads: In addition to providing mobile app control, wireless keypads allow customers to arm and disarm their alarms easily. While most people install these next to high-traffic areas, like their front and back doors, customers can add more than 10 keypads all across their homes.

Cox Homelife installation

Cox technicians install all Cox Homelife alarm systems. These technicians also help set up your system to make sure it’s ready to go when they leave. They give you a complete walkthrough of the system, including explanations of how to use it to make your home safe and what to do if you have problems.

Cox Homelife FAQ

How much is Cox home security?
    Cox Home security systems start at $29.99 per month and come with free starter equipment, including high-definition cameras and security sensors. Additional video recording costs $14.99 to $24.99, and the equipment service plan is another $4.99 per month.
    Can I view a Cox Homelife camera on my computer?
    Yes, you can view your camera feed on your computer using the Cox Homelife portal or by using Cox's app on your mobile device.
    What is Cox Homelife’s return policy?
    Customers must cancel their contracts within 30 days or pay an undisclosed termination fee. If you leased security equipment, you can return it to any Cox retail store or in the mail with prepaid shipping. Or, for $20, Cox technicians come to pick up the equipment after you cancel.
    Does Cox Homelife equipment come with a warranty?
    Yes, Cox Homelife equipment comes with a 90-day warranty that covers repair or replacement of any part that fails due to system defects, including parts and labor.
    Does Cox Homelife have outdoor cameras?
    Yes, Cox offers high-definition cameras that work both indoors and outdoors. Cox Homelife security cameras include night vision as well.

Is Cox home security any good?

If you live in a state with Cox service, Cox Homelife provides a good, straightforward security system with multiple options to bundle and customize. However, many consumers are unhappy with its equipment fees and complain about Cox Homelife's customer service.

Cox Homelife Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox Homelife?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox Homelife?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

Have been very satisfied with Cox Homelife. Very easy to change batteries in the door sensors and is completely wireless, unlike other systems that claim they are wireless and then start drilling holes in your house and cutting phone lines to connect. As stated above, a true wireless system.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

Cox Homelife is an excellent security company, they are always there if needed. Their service is great, equipment is great, the response time is great. I have never had a problem with them. Can't say enough good about them. I have used ADT which is awful.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

I could start with the issues that I had in the past with this shoddy product, but honestly they pale in comparison for the reason that I just cancelled, so I will stick to what matters. I recently moved, which necessitated taking my alarm system, internet, and TV with me (which literally never worked in the 14 months I was at my last residence). A technician had to come set up my alarm. I always set up everything else of mine on my own and was not informed that they were supposed to set up any other services.

While the technician was setting things up he was speaking with me about what he was doing and he was very friendly. As he set things up I mentioned that the TV never worked and he took a look at it. After setting up the alarm, which required the internet to work he left. The motion sensor for the alarm wasn't working so I called the company to see what I could do and they sent the technician back. As an aside, I was very clear to explain that I thought the technician did a good job and that I thought it was a mechanical error (I also tipped the technician $25 just for being a nice guy while he WAS DOING HIS JOB); no good deed goes unpunished.

After the alarm was up and running I got my next bill, which went from an already high 148 to an astonishing 560; needless to say I was "shook," as the youth say. I called someone at Cox who informed me that the install fees would come off and I would only have to pay for any service that got forwarded to this bill from the old place, which I am totally fine with. After a few days the statement made by the employee obviously was false because the bill never changed and so I tried to call back...for three days, but they were "experiencing long wait times" and I kept sitting on hold for hours and then getting dropped. I then tried the chat function on their site, and that person said I had to call some special number, which I did. Upon calling the new number, I was informed that there were not any notes indicating that I was told BEFORE the install that I would not be charged and that I would have gotten an email stating the charges.

While I was on the phone with the lady I looked up the email scheduling service, and much to my shock it didn't not include any notice of exorbitant fees that I would be asked to endure. Rather, the email listed a day the technician would come to set up my alarm. When I explained to the woman that the email did not say what she purported it would and that I could send it to her, she indicated there was no way for me to send her an email. As an aside, she had a really cavalier attitude about my situation even though I explained that I have been with Cox (on and off, but mostly on) since 2007 while I was in college.

After that call I looked into getting comparable services and found out that by switching to a competitor I get more alarm services, and the same internet for 55 less a month, so I called Cox back. The woman I spoke with this time could not have been bothered and focused on the cancellation fee I would have to pay because my service is under contract until October of 2021. I was spoken to politely the entire time that I was on the phone, and I know it isn't the people, as individuals, that I spoke with, so I too was polite, but rather a national service provider that has a culture of not giving a rip about their end user; even when the user has a higher than average amount of service per month.

Accordingly, I told the nice lady that my service will be cancelled on the 25th, and that my more than decade long patronage of Cox will end, and that I will make sure I let other consumers know how Cox treats those who have spent so much of their hard-earned income on Cox's services. Finally, I asked around to make sure I'm not being the male version of a "Karen" about this, and I learned that my experience is not atypical and that numerous consumers have been leaving Cox because their customer service, products, and pricing suck; which is only compounded when juxtaposed with this seemingly apathetic culture of indifference to the people that actual pay the bills for the people on the phone.

Logically, I know that the people I spoke to did not write the rules, so I do not yell, or get overly angry with them, but dealing with what is the equivalent of shoulder shrugs on the phone made me want to break glass; and I cannot ever give Cox communications an extra penny than what I absolutely must to get out of this contract.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

Cox security system is entirely too expensive for what you get. They advertise free equipment but neglect to say exactly what is free. The only item we received was the base unit. There is additional charge for connecting door windows, fire alert alarms and CO monitors. It adds up very quickly. The monthly charge during the initial phase is reasonable but almost doubles after that. The other thing I would earn of is the two year contract. You are locked in and they refuse to leg you out of IT so be very sure before you sign.

Original review: March 5, 2020

We moved to Arizona in Nov 2019 and decided to get security for our new home. We decide to try Cox Homelife since we were signing up for their cable and internet. The technician who came out to install told us we had thirty days and if we did not like the equipment/service we could cancel without any penalties. Otherwise the contract was for 2-years. We were having troubles from the very beginning with the equipment not working. We have 2 cameras with the service and the monitor screen would not show what was happening on the cameras. We would continuously get a message that it was trying to connect but never would connect. After three weeks we finally called to cancel the Homelife. During that call we were told that we only had 3 days to cancel. If we cancel now before the 2-year contract was up it would cost $700. We explained that is not what we were told. They would not budge on their decision.

They said they would sent out a tech to take a look at it. The tech who came out said our internet strength in the house was causing the problem and we would continue to have issues. We called the next day to insist they cancel and remove the equipment from what the installer said. They said they would send out the next level tech. He fixed the cameras by changing it to another channel. He finally got the cameras to work on the monitor. However, we still could not get constant access with the Homelife app to monitor the cameras. We both intermittently get messages that say "Not Connected. This app requires an internet connection. Make sure your device is not in Airplane mode and has a Wi-Fi or cellular connection. When your device is reconnected, you will be able to sign in again". We are always connect by Wi-Fi or cellular when these messages occur.

We called again to say that this service still does not work and we want to cancel. We spoke to a supervisor and he said that it is the fault of our cellular carrier and that they would not do anything. REALLY?? I should not have to change cell companies to get the service to work. We told them if they cannot get this to work as it should then they need to remove it and void the contract. They refused so we filed a complaint with BBB. That caused us to get a phone call from an escalation department. They will not budge on removing the equipment. They expect us to take more time off work to let another technician come out to look at it.

How much money do we have to continue to lose in wages to be home for their technician window? We have already invested too much time on this. Every technician or supervisor has a different reason why their equipment won't work. They need to face it that their equipment and service is crap and it just does not work well at our location for WHATEVER the reason is, and the right thing for Cox to do is let us cancel without penalty. It is criminal for them to force us to keep this equipment that has proven time-and-time again that it is not reliable to keep our home and lives safe.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I was sold equipment that did not exist. Was supposed to be a four hour installation, installer called out to another job in a hour. Got the cliff notes tutorial. Blew out my first floor phones. They went into two of my accounts taking out the same unauthorized charges. Never called but showed up four days later to install more equipment. Had to change bank numbers, block them, called everyday, when finally got through two and a half hours, eight department charges to get the bank fraud charges handled and get them to cancel service and make appointment to get equipment uninstalled.

One agent for 45 minutes tortured me to set up uninstall and then demanded I pay 25 dollars. Next agent said it only takes ten minutes and no charge. WTH? I nearly collapsed from exhaustion, anger, frustration and disbelief that it is ok to put a 30 year customer through this? Don't do it. It's customer service that is a nightmare. An absolute nightmare. Imagine if I stayed? More fraudulent billing, agent and tech nightmares? So thankful I left as fast as I could.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

The system rarely works. It once locked me out of my own house with the alarm system locked at midnight while my family was sleeping. It's atrocious and the cameras never work. I have been required to call customer service on several occasions with no proper support or advice.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I have been a Cox Communication customer for over 25 years. Recently I moved to a new place and requested service from cox. They show up with their technician talking about a new service "HOMELIFE" which I never agreed to. Installed the video camera and talked about all the benefits and that it is absolutely free with no charge. I got a bill for $400 charges on the equipment and service. I had to call on three separate occasion and wasted 1 hour each time being passed around from one person to the next promising that they would credit my account. Yesterday morning they disconnected my service and when I called them after being passed around to about 6 different people in order to restore my service they made me pay for the equipment for $270.00 something they said was free. They have the most dishonest employees, they are thieves. I will look for other services as I am disgusted by this company's greed and lies.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Do you know what Hell is? Well, I will tell you my hell...My “Hell” is dealing with Cox Communication. I have experienced the most ineffectual and poor customer service since I attempted the small feat of moving my Cox service across the hall to my new apartment in July.. I spoke to a rep in July who asked if I wanted to add Cox Homelife to my account since it was a great product and that they were offering if for FREE. The adage that you get what you pay for should have been high in my memory bank. She told me that I could cancel the service within 30 days if it was not as I expected; I verified with her that canceling the service would not affect my Bundle price Anyways, I get the service and true to form, it is horrible. It has been installed poorly so it chirps every fifteen minutes which is very frustrating.

I called back within the allotted thirty days to cancel the service and verified again that my Bundle deal would not be affected negatively because I canceled the Homelife service. Imagine my surprise when I got a bill stating that my service would increase by about…ummmm, 200.00 per month...because I lost the Bundle discount. I called and spoke to Bosha on September 4th about the increase. And, she said that it was because I lost the Bundle discount which I explained that I was told that it would not be taken but that's neither here nor there, how do I fix it? Bosha said that she would set up an appointment for the 11th to have Homelife reinstalled and to fix the issue. I called back on the 11th when no one came and spoke to a supervisor/manager, Deborah, who explained that Bosha never completed the request so that meant that my husband wasted a half day off since we had to reschedule the appointment for the next week.

I then received a bill for 300.00 to install Homelife which I refused to pay because I only got the service because the install fee had been waived. I called again to rectify this and was transferred to the requisite...deep sarcasm...four associates, one including Tonya who transferred me to another associate, when I asked to speak to a supervisor. I received ANOTHER email with the incorrect installation date so I called and had the date changed to Tuesday, the 24th, from 5 pm until 7pm. I received an email and a phone call today verifying today’s erroneous install date. I called and spoke to Andrea, a supervisor, who informed me that they cannot install from 5-7 because they would not have complete time to install.

This is the epitome of a Comedy of Errors. Cox is hell. I would leave but they have a monopoly in my building. Sooo, basically, I am going through Hell to have them install a service that is horrible and that I never wanted. Oh, yeah, I just got a late notice for my bill that was supposed to be postponed until they fix this phenomenal mess. Yeah, Cox.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I purchased Cox Homelife in a bundle but after having the service for several months I noticed continuing fees for equipment that they had up charged without making me aware of. Customers service said it was in an email that I never got and said there was nothing they would do about it.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

SO, where to begin. Started the service on July 15th, 2019 and reported on July 18th that I do not want Homelife security and they made me keep it stating they have open up a case for it and then keep diverting me to sales guys to make me keep the service. I finally took all the equipment out and went to nearest COX center, deposited it and ask them to call Homelife and they cancelled it finally! So I thought, "Ok it all over," but NO. They put an early termination fee on me for $750 and did not removed it and made me pay it! Horrible customer service and very rude people. Will never recommend this company to anyone and please stay away for them. They are not worth the price. I will suggest SimpliSafe, which is far more reasonable and very good customer service. Thanks, G

Original review: July 18, 2019

Called Cox and had Homelife set up. First bill, everything going according to the Contract. Received the 2nd bill. And I was charged the Equipment fee of 177.50 again. When I signed the Initial Contract the information reflected On the Equipment List It stated "Equipment Retail Cost 960.00, the amount you pay 177.50, Total Savings 782.50." So I called, supposedly a ticket was issued and I would hear back in a few weeks, it would be corrected. Paid the Bill and waited. Next Month called. Spoke with a few people, no explanation why I did not hear back before.

I was escalated to a Supervisor who informed me the contract should have reflected 177.50 x4 it was misprinted, I pointed to the clause in the contract (Clause 33) that says the equipment list is a part of the contract and what the pricing I agreed to was. Too bad so sad the charges are right. "We sent you a email that says x4." I reviewed my email and asked him to resend it (I have never received that email still to this day, not the resends). I then asked to speak with a manager regarding this issue and possible cancelation of this service. Was told I would be called back within 72 hours. Paid the bill and waited.

Flash to the next bill. Called Cox. Explained yet again, after being transferred to multiple people (never the manager I requested in the prior pall) yet another ticket has been issued. Despite the multiple people I have spoken with regarding this issue, I have been told things like, "The contract was misprinted. You should have contacted us within 60 days it says that in the contract (not that I have found) and I did regardless, 30 days from when the 2nd Billing occured. It's not our fault our representative didn't tell you. I need to let the sales reps managers know she didn't explain it correctly." I will pay the bill and wait again. The sad part it, I like the service. I have never really had a problem with Cox. But my advice, stay well away from headaches like this if you can.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Home Security partner.

Cox Homelife Company Information