Compare Offers
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.07/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Cox Homelife is a home security provider that offers 24/7 monitoring and smart home technology. The company has optional add-ons, including carbon monoxide detectors, motion sensors and flood sensors. Plans start at $29.99 a month.

BOTTOM LINE

Cox Homelife offers systems to make your home safer and smarter. Bundling lets you combine security monitoring with internet and other Cox Communication services.

PROS

• Easily customizable
    • Home automation available
    • Bundle options

CONS

• Limited availability
    • Undisclosed termination fees
    Cox Homelife Compare Offers

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

What is Cox Homelife?

Cox Homelife is a home security and automation service from Cox Communications. Its systems can be professionally monitored or self-monitored, and customers can bundle them with other Cox Communication services, including internet, cable or phone. Cox Homelife packages also come with options for smart home add-ons, such as lights and smart thermostats.

How does Cox Homelife work?

Cox Homelife customers choose between two different plans to find the right security system for their homes. Homeowners have the option to pay monthly for professional monitoring support.

The Cox Homelife app lets customers control their homes from wherever they are. Cox Homelife-compatible devices include:

• Apple iPhone 6 or newer
      • Google Nexus, Prime and Pixe
      • Samsung Galaxy S5 or newer

Through the Cox Homelife hub, homeowners can also create new accounts for other users. These accounts make it easier for family members or close friends to access and control your home.

Cox Homelife prices

Cox Homelife prices start at $29.99 per month. Customers choose from two base packages:

• Cox Homelife Automation ($29.99/month): Customers receive door and window alerts, live video feed and lighting control. The package also includes one high-definition camera, one door/window sensor and one smart LED lightbulb. Cox Homelife Automation is the ideal choice for customers who don’t want professional monitoring.
      • Cox Homelife Security ($49.99/month): Cox Homelife Security provides 24/7 professional monitoring in addition to its standard smart home features. Cox Homelife Security includes motion-sensing technology, a robust backup system and app connectivity. The starter kit comes with one high-definition camera, two door/window sensors and one indoor motion sensor.

Optional Cox Homelife equipment

Cox Homelife’s two security packages don’t include much equipment, but customers can easily add more products to customize their protection and automation systems. Homeowners can also buy the Digital Home Starter Kit for $200 to get more products, including:

• Smart door locks: Cox Homelife’s smart door locks replace traditional deadbolts with automated technology. These locks automatically lock after 30 seconds to make sure your home is completely secure at all times.
      • HD cameras: Check live video, take pictures and record videos with the Homelife high-definition camera. The camera comes standard in both Cox Homelife packages, and the system can support up to six cameras. Customers can even set rules and commands for when the camera records 15-second clips, such as when motion detectors go off.
      • Door and window sensors: Cox Homelife’s door and window sensors connect with other equipment to allow video recording, monitoring or alert connection. Cox Homelife systems support more than 10 door or window sensors.
      • Motion sensors: Cox Homelife's motion sensors detect movement up to 40 feet away with a 90-degree cone of coverage. Cox Homelife’s motion sensors also don’t trigger false alarms for pets less than 85 pounds.
      • Glass-break sensors: Cox Homelife's glass-break sensors connect directly to monitoring professionals. With the smart home automation system, customers can also choose to receive alerts. Both systems support more than 10 glass-break sensors.
      • Wireless keypads: In addition to providing mobile app control, wireless keypads allow customers to arm and disarm their alarms easily. While most people install these next to high-traffic areas, like their front and back doors, customers can add more than 10 keypads all across their homes.

Cox Homelife installation

Cox technicians install all Cox Homelife alarm systems. These technicians also help set up your system to make sure it’s ready to go when they leave. They give you a complete walkthrough of the system, including explanations of how to use it to make your home safe and what to do if you have problems.

Cox Homelife FAQ

How much is Cox home security?
      Cox Home security systems start at $54.99 per month and come with free starter equipment, including high-definition cameras and security sensors. Additional video recording costs $14.99 to $24.99, and the equipment service plan is another $4.99 per month.
      Can I view a Cox Homelife camera on my computer?
      Yes, you can view your camera feed on your computer using the Cox Homelife portal or by using Cox's app on your mobile device.
      What is Cox Homelife’s return policy?
      Customers must cancel their contracts within 30 days or pay an undisclosed termination fee. If you leased security equipment, you can return it to any Cox retail store or in the mail with prepaid shipping. Or, for $20, Cox technicians come to pick up the equipment after you cancel.
      Does Cox Homelife equipment come with a warranty?
      Yes, Cox Homelife equipment comes with a 90-day warranty that covers repair or replacement of any part that fails due to system defects, including parts and labor.
      Does Cox Homelife have outdoor cameras?
      Yes, Cox offers high-definition cameras that work both indoors and outdoors. Cox Homelife security cameras include night vision as well.

Is Cox home security any good?

If you live in a state with Cox service, Cox Homelife provides a good, straightforward security system with multiple options to bundle and customize. However, many consumers are unhappy with its equipment fees and complain about Cox Homelife's customer service.

Cox Homelife Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox Homelife?
      How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox Homelife?

Original review: March 5, 2020

We moved to Arizona in Nov 2019 and decided to get security for our new home. We decide to try Cox Homelife since we were signing up for their cable and internet. The technician who came out to install told us we had thirty days and if we did not like the equipment/service we could cancel without any penalties. Otherwise the contract was for 2-years. We were having troubles from the very beginning with the equipment not working. We have 2 cameras with the service and the monitor screen would not show what was happening on the cameras. We would continuously get a message that it was trying to connect but never would connect. After three weeks we finally called to cancel the Homelife. During that call we were told that we only had 3 days to cancel. If we cancel now before the 2-year contract was up it would cost $700. We explained that is not what we were told. They would not budge on their decision.

They said they would sent out a tech to take a look at it. The tech who came out said our internet strength in the house was causing the problem and we would continue to have issues. We called the next day to insist they cancel and remove the equipment from what the installer said. They said they would send out the next level tech. He fixed the cameras by changing it to another channel. He finally got the cameras to work on the monitor. However, we still could not get constant access with the Homelife app to monitor the cameras. We both intermittently get messages that say "Not Connected. This app requires an internet connection. Make sure your device is not in Airplane mode and has a Wi-Fi or cellular connection. When your device is reconnected, you will be able to sign in again". We are always connect by Wi-Fi or cellular when these messages occur.

We called again to say that this service still does not work and we want to cancel. We spoke to a supervisor and he said that it is the fault of our cellular carrier and that they would not do anything. REALLY?? I should not have to change cell companies to get the service to work. We told them if they cannot get this to work as it should then they need to remove it and void the contract. They refused so we filed a complaint with BBB. That caused us to get a phone call from an escalation department. They will not budge on removing the equipment. They expect us to take more time off work to let another technician come out to look at it.

How much money do we have to continue to lose in wages to be home for their technician window? We have already invested too much time on this. Every technician or supervisor has a different reason why their equipment won't work. They need to face it that their equipment and service is crap and it just does not work well at our location for WHATEVER the reason is, and the right thing for Cox to do is let us cancel without penalty. It is criminal for them to force us to keep this equipment that has proven time-and-time again that it is not reliable to keep our home and lives safe.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I was sold equipment that did not exist. Was supposed to be a four hour installation, installer called out to another job in a hour. Got the cliff notes tutorial. Blew out my first floor phones. They went into two of my accounts taking out the same unauthorized charges. Never called but showed up four days later to install more equipment. Had to change bank numbers, block them, called everyday, when finally got through two and a half hours, eight department charges to get the bank fraud charges handled and get them to cancel service and make appointment to get equipment uninstalled.

One agent for 45 minutes tortured me to set up uninstall and then demanded I pay 25 dollars. Next agent said it only takes ten minutes and no charge. WTH? I nearly collapsed from exhaustion, anger, frustration and disbelief that it is ok to put a 30 year customer through this? Don't do it. It's customer service that is a nightmare. An absolute nightmare. Imagine if I stayed? More fraudulent billing, agent and tech nightmares? So thankful I left as fast as I could.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

The system rarely works. It once locked me out of my own house with the alarm system locked at midnight while my family was sleeping. It's atrocious and the cameras never work. I have been required to call customer service on several occasions with no proper support or advice.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I have been a Cox Communication customer for over 25 years. Recently I moved to a new place and requested service from cox. They show up with their technician talking about a new service "HOMELIFE" which I never agreed to. Installed the video camera and talked about all the benefits and that it is absolutely free with no charge. I got a bill for $400 charges on the equipment and service. I had to call on three separate occasion and wasted 1 hour each time being passed around from one person to the next promising that they would credit my account. Yesterday morning they disconnected my service and when I called them after being passed around to about 6 different people in order to restore my service they made me pay for the equipment for $270.00 something they said was free. They have the most dishonest employees, they are thieves. I will look for other services as I am disgusted by this company's greed and lies.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Do you know what Hell is? Well, I will tell you my hell...My “Hell” is dealing with Cox Communication. I have experienced the most ineffectual and poor customer service since I attempted the small feat of moving my Cox service across the hall to my new apartment in July.. I spoke to a rep in July who asked if I wanted to add Cox Homelife to my account since it was a great product and that they were offering if for FREE. The adage that you get what you pay for should have been high in my memory bank. She told me that I could cancel the service within 30 days if it was not as I expected; I verified with her that canceling the service would not affect my Bundle price Anyways, I get the service and true to form, it is horrible. It has been installed poorly so it chirps every fifteen minutes which is very frustrating.

I called back within the allotted thirty days to cancel the service and verified again that my Bundle deal would not be affected negatively because I canceled the Homelife service. Imagine my surprise when I got a bill stating that my service would increase by about…ummmm, 200.00 per month...because I lost the Bundle discount. I called and spoke to Bosha on September 4th about the increase. And, she said that it was because I lost the Bundle discount which I explained that I was told that it would not be taken but that's neither here nor there, how do I fix it? Bosha said that she would set up an appointment for the 11th to have Homelife reinstalled and to fix the issue. I called back on the 11th when no one came and spoke to a supervisor/manager, Deborah, who explained that Bosha never completed the request so that meant that my husband wasted a half day off since we had to reschedule the appointment for the next week.

I then received a bill for 300.00 to install Homelife which I refused to pay because I only got the service because the install fee had been waived. I called again to rectify this and was transferred to the requisite...deep sarcasm...four associates, one including Tonya who transferred me to another associate, when I asked to speak to a supervisor. I received ANOTHER email with the incorrect installation date so I called and had the date changed to Tuesday, the 24th, from 5 pm until 7pm. I received an email and a phone call today verifying today’s erroneous install date. I called and spoke to Andrea, a supervisor, who informed me that they cannot install from 5-7 because they would not have complete time to install.

This is the epitome of a Comedy of Errors. Cox is hell. I would leave but they have a monopoly in my building. Sooo, basically, I am going through Hell to have them install a service that is horrible and that I never wanted. Oh, yeah, I just got a late notice for my bill that was supposed to be postponed until they fix this phenomenal mess. Yeah, Cox.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I purchased Cox Homelife in a bundle but after having the service for several months I noticed continuing fees for equipment that they had up charged without making me aware of. Customers service said it was in an email that I never got and said there was nothing they would do about it.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

SO, where to begin. Started the service on July 15th, 2019 and reported on July 18th that I do not want Homelife security and they made me keep it stating they have open up a case for it and then keep diverting me to sales guys to make me keep the service. I finally took all the equipment out and went to nearest COX center, deposited it and ask them to call Homelife and they cancelled it finally! So I thought, "Ok it all over," but NO. They put an early termination fee on me for $750 and did not removed it and made me pay it! Horrible customer service and very rude people. Will never recommend this company to anyone and please stay away for them. They are not worth the price. I will suggest SimpliSafe, which is far more reasonable and very good customer service. Thanks, G

Original review: July 18, 2019

Called Cox and had Homelife set up. First bill, everything going according to the Contract. Received the 2nd bill. And I was charged the Equipment fee of 177.50 again. When I signed the Initial Contract the information reflected On the Equipment List It stated "Equipment Retail Cost 960.00, the amount you pay 177.50, Total Savings 782.50." So I called, supposedly a ticket was issued and I would hear back in a few weeks, it would be corrected. Paid the Bill and waited. Next Month called. Spoke with a few people, no explanation why I did not hear back before.

I was escalated to a Supervisor who informed me the contract should have reflected 177.50 x4 it was misprinted, I pointed to the clause in the contract (Clause 33) that says the equipment list is a part of the contract and what the pricing I agreed to was. Too bad so sad the charges are right. "We sent you a email that says x4." I reviewed my email and asked him to resend it (I have never received that email still to this day, not the resends). I then asked to speak with a manager regarding this issue and possible cancelation of this service. Was told I would be called back within 72 hours. Paid the bill and waited.

Flash to the next bill. Called Cox. Explained yet again, after being transferred to multiple people (never the manager I requested in the prior pall) yet another ticket has been issued. Despite the multiple people I have spoken with regarding this issue, I have been told things like, "The contract was misprinted. You should have contacted us within 60 days it says that in the contract (not that I have found) and I did regardless, 30 days from when the 2nd Billing occured. It's not our fault our representative didn't tell you. I need to let the sales reps managers know she didn't explain it correctly." I will pay the bill and wait again. The sad part it, I like the service. I have never really had a problem with Cox. But my advice, stay well away from headaches like this if you can.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I had the Homelife installed and had 3 days to cancel and return equipment. I returned it in 2. The second month they charged me 817.00 in cancellation fees. They are a rip off company with garbage equipment and I had to even spackle and paint after I got rid of their horrible equipment. After calling them many times and being told they would fix my bill they told me it was not being reversed anymore. They are rude and mean and their supervisors are most unprofessional and unhelpful. Go with a real company for home security. Not this trash.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I was with Cox for about 5 years. I attempted to unplug the security system from the wall, so that I wasn’t charged a fee; however sparks flew and I almost was electrocuted. Cox “said” they would waive the uninstallation fee, as I felt unsafe to unplug it myself. A week later, I see a charge for $105.93 FOR THE UNINSTALLATION FEE!!! I had to call 3 times before finally being able to get connected to a supervisor (the other times I was disconnected). The supervisor named Tyson ID# ** said he could only offer me 50% off, because NOTHING WAS WRITTEN IN THE NOTES. Cox wants to make any penny they can off of you. THEY HAVE NO RESPECT FOR THEIR CUSTOMERS, EVEN IF THEY ARE IN A NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE. I will never use them again and do not recommend them AT ALL. Stay away!

Cox Homelife author review by Ben Mannes

Cox Homelife offers monitored home security and automation packages that start at around $30 per month. Customers can bundle their security package with internet, phone or cable service to receive a discount.

• Security equipment: Security products include the Homelife control panel, a high-definition video camera, smart LED bulbs, door and window sensors, a motion sensor, smart outlets, a smart thermostat, smart door locks, a wireless keypad, a smoke and fire detector, a carbon monoxide sensor, a glass-break sensor, a leak and flood sensor and security signage.

• Security features: Use the mobile security app to monitor and control your home from anywhere. You can remotely control your home’s door locks, thermostat, lights and small appliances. Sign up for text and/or email alerts every time someone opens a door in your home. There is no limit to how many mobile devices or tablets you can use to monitor and control your Homelife system.

• Monitoring services: Systems can be professionally monitored or self-monitored.

• Installation: Professional installation is required for Cox Homelife Alarm systems

• Trial period: New customers have 30 days to return the system for a full refund.

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Cox Homelife Company Information