2.53/5
Based on 45 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a home alarm?

45 Cox Homelife Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 7, 2018

I moved my service from one location in Norfolk, VA to another and was told that the only deal I could get for my cable in my new house was to bundle Homelife, TV and phone. I was also told that if I paid the $500 outright for my Homelife equipment I would be able to cancel at any time. I have tried to cancel and been disrespected on the call and the lady told me that she would be the final say and I would not be able to talk to a supervisor. I requested a phone investigation because the phone rep told me that there was no contract and it would be on the recording. She told me that no one would give me those investigation results and no one will call me back because supervisors do not call customers. Cox Homelife is a gimmick and they only care about the bottom line. No customer service at all.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Cameras never recorded, every time we had a person come by to fix it, they would charge us even though we had a 5$ equipment insurance (so if anything didn't work they would come and fix it for free). They would still charge me on my bill, so I would have to call and argue with them, then get the charge taken off. Then the circle would begin again. Recording didn't work, or cameras stopped working. Someone would come out, fix it, I would get charged, then call and ask them to take the charge off. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Paying $15 extra a month for 10 days of recording and we have NOTHING. Finally, I stopped calling and asking for them to fix it cause it has been a nightmare and a waste of my time and money. They credited me for 5 months (even though it didn't work for 19 months and that was AFTER we had 4 or 5 technicians out to fix it... continuously).

Absolutely time-wasting nightmare. If you are considering using Cox Homelife Security System: instead: place $75 a month into your paper shredder. Spend time on your phone, angry and complaining at least 45 minutes biweekly, then take 4 hours off of work monthly, to wait for a clueless technician to repair nothing. The spend another 45 minutes on the phone asking for them to give you your money back every other week. Cox Homelife: We make your homelife harder and we even charge you for it! We love financially ** consumers and when they complain, we blame the problems on them!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: May 24, 2018

I had fallen and had no way of reaching someone. I bought the Cox Homelife device and since having it, I feel more secure. I've had it for about three weeks now and wearing it does not bother me. The interaction with their team has been fine as well.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Buyer beware! Please google Cox Homelife scam and read the reviews before considering this low rate home security. They just want you to sign a contract and get you locked it. Terrible customer service as well! Buyer beware! Cox Homelife is a rip-off company. They will not work with you on resolving billing payments. Customer service is horrible and non-responsive. I was offered a combo pack and promised an installation charges reduced by 100% but I keep seeing hefty installation charges and additional monthly charges and partial month billing getting added to the bill. When you call customer care, they will keep redirecting to different departments.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I got a heart problem. I called Cox twice as the device went off twice. They came back on the speaker on the phone. Then they called my phone because I wasn’t answering that one time. They made sure I was all right, so it has been tested. It is a good company, and I would recommend it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox Homelife?

Original review: March 26, 2018

Cox Homelife is a big big mistake I did getting installed. Even after being an existing Cox customer, I feel this the worst choice. Customer service is horrible and non-responsive. I was offered a combo pack and promised an installation charges reduced by 50% but I keep seeing hefty installation charges and additional monthly charges getting added to the bill. When you call customer care, they will keep redirecting to Homelife department which works separately. The Homelife Customer service will be unavailable for long and once they come they will say that I need to talk to the Homelife consultant that met me for my installation. This gentleman will not respond to emails or phone at once. Keep following and making your life hell is what Cox Homelife is doing. You get a better product and free installation with other service providers like Livewatch and ADT etc.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I have been having issues with the security system for about a year. The keypad sometimes accepted the security codes. Sometimes it did not. They replaced the keypad. Since then I have typed in the code and then the alarm goes off 2 minutes later. Requested service 3 times over a month. Cox kept closing the service requests without even contacting me. Called their resolutions department. Took 2 hours to contact the department and got some guy with a major attitude saying, "I want service cancelled." He told me that even though I have a system that does not work and that they have ignored my requests for service that I still have to pay for their horrid service.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Simply, we were evacuated during a wildfire. Someone simply hit the main breaker outside, kicked in the door, and we suffered about $65,000 in loss/damage from looting. Our homelife system? Did nothing. Their response? "Have you considered a backup generator?"

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I called Cox to cancel my Homelife service. Not because of anything negative, just wasn’t using it. Call was answered promptly, but instead of being transferred I was placed on mute for 3 minutes. My guess was they hoped I’d hang up. I was then transferred to someone else who finally transferred me to the “right department”. I was connected with Willy. He asked for my information and the account info and was told after his ‘brush off’ tone - “I can’t help you” because I wasn’t the person on the account. I understand that, but I had been cruelly handled prior to him and then given a smug ‘haha you lose’ attitude from Willy, I’d had enough. I asked to talk to a supervisor and was told they can’t help because I’m not a customer. Except I am the one that handles the account. He said no and then hung up on me.

I called back minutes later with my fiancé, who is the primary, and was surprisingly reconnected with Willy again. Our service was cancelled on his behalf. If you can avoid Cox, please do. Whenever it comes to customer service, they are the worst. When a company does not train employees to understand the need for customers, there’s not a service in the company worth the hassle of finding one person to put the customers' needs first. Cox needs to look into training their employees on how to treat people. Or maybe treat the employees better so they aren’t so miserable to the customer. Willy **, good luck getting by in life with your piss poor attitude. You’ll be stuck there forever until you get over yourself.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Cox Homelife will have you sign contracts that must be approved even if you are not they will say you are and in the event you decided not to continues your service agreement they will charge you for 3 years of service which can be well over $3,000. This company will not work with you on resolving billing payments. You will be in collections so fast will make your head spin. They also will try and send a unknown person are personal to your home to pick up equipment while you are receiving calls seeking and demanding that you pay what you really do not owe. Do not pay anything to anyone unless you have been approved. Who signed a three years contract with a company that only run off of wifi really.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I have never written a bad review about any service. That's because I haven't had such HORRIBLE service/Customer Service that I felt I needed to write a review. Until now. Cox Homelife Security messed up the time on BOTH of the appointments we had scheduled on different days. Early for the first appointment which me nor my husband could leave our full time jobs early to meet them. So they kindly scheduled us for the next week (when it was their fault, nice customer service COX).

The second time they arrived late with no call. They made us feel like we had done something wrong when in fact they were the ones who screwed up. They were rude and unapologetic. The second time they did this to us I was done. Even with a two year contract remaining and $600 to get out of it. We were treated so poorly I didn't care how much it took to get out of working with such a disrespectful tacky company. When we asked to speak to manager regarding our termination of the contract we were told we weren't allowed to speak to a manager. I have never been treated so poorly when I have been a loyal customer quite some time now. We are even considering dropping ALL Cox (internet, phone, etc). I want nothing to do with this company.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

After buying the Cox Homelife security system, we've had internet connection issues since the beginning. Let me put this simply, if you have internet connection issues, you have NO functioning security system. I thought that there was a "cellular" backup, but this backup still requires an internet connection. Also, if someone cuts your cable cord, you have NO functioning security system. Especially, since you advertised to thieves, that you have a Cox security sign in your front yard. And all they have to do now is cut your cord outside of your house. I don't work in the cable industry, and I guarantee I can find your cord and take out your security system. This is scary and a waste of money.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

Where do we start, the camera is too slow to pick up anybody walking up the house and stealing anything. I've had 5 people deliver items to my front door and the motion sensor has never caught anybody but will catch every bug and spider that flies past it at night. It takes 4 pictures and a 10 second video. It's hit and miss. I usually get an alert 6 to 24 hours after it's detected motion. Cox says it's Gmail and they’re working with them to resolve it, I should use another email server. Look at the forums. They have been working for 1 year to resolve this issue? The live camera video goes in and out all day. We have a larger home so their security screen has trouble connecting to the router. The motion sensor was set off by the dogs multiple times so a Cox installer had to come out to fix it. Each time they come it's supposed to be free because it still doesn't work properly but they charge me 75 dollars.

The bill with installation was supposed to be about 300 estimate for the first month. It was 600 dollars! I had to negotiate to get it close to what it should be. Sometimes we can't set the alarm or turn it off in the morning when we get up because it's offline. It goes offline about 40 times a day not kidding. You can't mount the control module to the wall and it's got a big ass power supply that plugs into your wall that they put 15 stickers on and screwed into the outlets that say don't move the module. The wireless cameras are a joke, they should never be installed wireless. They should run dedicated Cat 5 or nothing to these things. Cox Homelife is not ready for prime time. I pay 40 bucks a month for a sign in my yard and a dummy camera on my driveway that sends me spider and bug alerts 10 hours after they happen.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

First of all, if you have a problem there is NO ONE at Cox that can answer your question. I have two Cox Homelife systems and the customer service associated with this is despicable. The central station monitoring doesn't even know if they have already dispatched police when they call you. I am now saddled with a false alarm bill where Cox dispatched twice during a 15 minute period because they could not tell me if they dispatched or not. This is the worst customer service I've experienced in years. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT.

Original review: July 27, 2017

Cox Homelife is a scam run by sales people that will tell you anything to lock you into a contract. I had 2 sales reps lie straight to my face and tell me that my contract was month to month and as soon as you leave you will find out otherwise... Watch out for the bait and switch! They have a month to month but the salesmen make more money if they lock you in to a commitment. Please google Cox Homelife scam and read the reviews before considering this low rate home camera hack job. Terrible customer service as well! Buyer beware!

Original review: July 12, 2017

Cox Homelife salesperson sold us a Homelife system. She assured us that our dogs would not interfere with motion detectors. The tech who came to install the system thought otherwise and installed a few glass breaks. Most of the entries to our home are unprotected. The system is so worthless we don't bother to turn it on. To get a real security system you would have to spend THOUSANDS of dollars on equipment and then their wonderful $40.00 per month "monitoring" fee. Don't waste your money on this worthless system. Cox Communications is a horrible company that does not care to satisfy its customers or deliver what they promise.

Original review: July 5, 2017

Had Cox home life alarm system for over year. Many times system went offline. On May 1st, cancelled my account and turned in all equipment. Cox continued billing me for service. Called customer service July 5. Cox had no idea I had cancelled my account, even though I had no service for two full months. Boy, that makes you feel safe! Cox, could not explain to me how their monitoring hub had no clue I had no service! What a joke!

Original review: June 26, 2017

Moved to a new place. Had to go out of town for my daughter's chemo treatments. Have decided to get Cox Homelife so we can watch our home and our teenagers to be able to let them in and out of the home without needing a key. 1st week we had it, it was failing. Called and tech came and was here for a few min and since it wasn't giving him any "errors" he claimed it worked fine. A few days later, failed again. Long story short, Cox has never worked since we got it. A few techs came and didn't give them trouble the few min they were troubleshooting it, so they reported it was working fine. I flew home TWICE to meet the techs and they didn't show up. Cost me to be away from my daughter, time and money and it was just fine with them!!!

The cameras were ALWAYS having difficulties connecting. They never worked but we sure did get charged monthly for having them monitor our home. The key fob said lock when it wasn't and unlock and it was locked. Our house was left unlocked when we thought it was locked. Our home was burglarized and Cox Homelife FAILED to do anything and I asked every single person even the so-called supervisors how and who should I talked to about that and when I finally got an answer after almost 3 months of complaining and asking, he told me it was too late since I had to report it within 30 days. So we were pretty much ** OUT OF LUCK!!!

We have videos of the burglar from our self-installed cameras we had before we got Cox Homelife and recorded everything. They kept sending techs that spent a few min to troubleshoot, but they spent more time doing whatever they were doing in their vehicles than what they came for. I FINALLY got them to disconnect after a few months of getting charged and nothing worked and now Cox Homelife is charging me almost $600 for "early termination" crock of **!

Original review: June 5, 2017

Service works 20 days out of the month had a house fire. Homelife didn't even notify me. Customer service is horrible!! Manager don't even take their job serious. No one calls back. Always have to restart system to have their system work for 3-4 days then it goes offline again. What do I pay service for if it never works especially when you need it the most.

Original review: May 23, 2017

COX Home Security system was installed a few years ago my house and over the years we've had numerous false alarm issues. It wasn't until recently that I found out if Cox Internet goes down I have no way to access my alarm system remotely. If I'm out of state and my alarm goes off, central station calls me to ask if I want to dispatch but because my internet is down I cannot look at my cameras to see if there's an intrusion. Whether or not I have the dispatch there is no way Central station can turn the alarm off for me. So unless you have someone nearby that's willing to turn your alarm off even in the middle the night the alarm will keep ringing.

The sales person that sold us this alarm never brought this to our attention as we have with never signed up for this system. The supervisor Jimmy was looking into this for me but never got back to me. After repeated messages and asking other representatives to send emails to him he return my call and told me that there was nothing he could do. I canceled the service!

Original review: March 8, 2017

I decided to switch from DTV to Cox because they had better bundles or so I thought! I specifically told the sales rep that I was switching to save money and she offered me the Premiere package that included internet, cable and Homelife. Everything seemed great and she offered me extra Homelife protection and I said, "NO THANKS." I didn't want anything that wasn't part of my package to be included so she said she would note the account so the tech could see. The tech arrives and he begins installing. We again told him to only install what was in our package. He said, "Of course... We have everything." Then he decides to take a break since it took longer than he thought to install everything. We said, "Fine." He leaves and NEVER came back!

Hours later we get a call that a new installer would be coming in to finish up. He arrives and apologizes for the delay and says not to worry. He knows what needs to be installed and he finishes everything, explains how to use, and I said, "Ok so only my package stuff was installed, correct?" He confirms, "Yes of course." We sign off and that is that. We were already upset that the installation took 10 HOURS but didn't make it a big deal.

Here comes my bill. From 200 it was supposed to be it is 550! And of course what do I see... additional charges for items that were "extra." I immediately call them and tell them why was I getting charged extra and no one knows why. They tell me they would look into it and call back. No one ever called back. I called several times and kept getting the runaround for 3 weeks and each time I had to explain the situation because no one made clear notes or bothered to follow up. They were supposed to verify with my sales rep that I indeed said not to add anything extra. One of the reps confirmed that the sales rep said I didn't ask for anything extra but she needed a supervisor to get back to me to remove the charges due to the techs making the mistake of not communicating properly. Again no call back so I call back in and speak to another rep who says she will get the supervisor to clear the charges.

The supervisor gets on the line and is super rude and unhelpful! He now contradicts what the rep had already told me and says that the sales agent said I asked for the extra stuff! So now I am upset because the rep had already told me my sales rep confirmed I didn't ask for anything and that the installer made the mistake, and he says the rep wasn't supposed to tell me that and that she was mistaken so the charges were valid, so they would spread the charges instead of clearing them, so at this point I want to cancel since I have 30 days to decide if I keep the Home Life service or not to which he says I can no longer cancel because my contract goes in effect once it's installed, again another convenient "miscommunication" on their part!

Overall I have received nothing but bad customer service from them and lies, then they try to say maybe it was miscommunication from the team. **. I would never recommend this company at all! I will cancel with them as soon as I find a better home security company. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

Purchased and paid in full for a security camera to be installed. After a missed appointment and a two week turnaround time for a reschedule, I decided to cancel the install. Called to obtain a refund and was told that what I paid was applied to my existing service and a refund was not possible. There was nowhere in my contract where I agreed to this and Cox DOES NOT or DID NOT have a legal obligation to take it upon themselves to utilize my funds in the way they saw fit and not for its intended purpose. I will be forwarding this info over to the BBB and I will see how they like it to have this information known.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

When I got COX to provide my cable and internet service, they offered me a service for $89 per month, plus taxes. It was supposed to be at $100 per month. The land line phone was not something I was interested, so the Rep offered me a Home Security system, which I did not need either... but to bundle I was required to get it. My surprise was when I was charged for installation and a monthly $45 charge. I have been trying to reach COX to ask a manager to remove the service without penalty, and they put me on hold for 1-2 hours until the call gets disconnected. I have been trying to get this issue resolved for over four months and nothing has been done. I called the Rep to get the issue fixed and he promised me that the Corporate office was to call me. Once again... nothing happened. I can't wait until I get COX out of my life. I am a military man and I have to travel a lot, on deployments. COX do NOT CARE!!! Can anyone help???

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

Our security camera at our front door does not always record. I complained to Cox and they basically said that when it is dark out it may not pick up anything. Really? That's when you need it. They should improve their cameras for nighttime then instead of taking my money and making me have a false sense of security! Very disappointed and WAY overpriced.

Original review: July 13, 2016

Great customer service because this company is great. It was very easy to set up and understand. I was able to set up and install it very easily. Anyone can do it so that is why I would definitely recommend. Would definitely recommend for monitoring capability. I have tried other brands of home security products and nothing compares to this one especially for monitoring. The value of this brand is awesome. You get great quality for and great price. I would definitely chose this one over any.

Original review: July 12, 2016

The customer service is very reliable, dependable, authentic, responsible, unique, enjoyable, appreciative and accommodating. They attend to you and answer questions to the best of their knowledge. They are well experienced and has good customer relationship. The setup and installation is very easy. They are well experienced. The set up does not takes much time. They know their job well. They are efficient and very nice and has good customer relationship. They are well trained. The monitoring capability is very good. They are accurate and has good images and unique color. They are accurate and are very effective. They are sophisticated and innovative. The perceived value is accurate. It's very good, nice and appreciative. It's well reliable. The price is accurate for the equipments and cost reliable. It's a standard price for the value.

Original review: July 9, 2016

They are nice and very respectful and understand what I wanted as a client. They were genuinely interested in what I had to tell them and made sure I got the safety and protection I needed at an affordable price. They were very easygoing and understanding of my tight schedule and the installers were absolute professionals. Showed up on time when I needed them to be there and it was a greater experience how they stayed out of my way and just handled what they were there for. Didn't leave without making sure I was well taken care of.

The monitoring capability completely blew my mind with great surveillance of my whole property, 24/7 in the palm of my hand, when I'm not home as well as at my house when I leave the motion sensors alarm my phone when someone crosses my property line. Really convenient. Really gives me the security that allows me to relax and rest assured my property will be ok if I can't be home at all hours of the day.

Original review: July 8, 2016

Overall customer service was good. Very easy to use. Had questions on how to install properly. I contacted them on their website. Problem was minimal and they were eager to assist. Overall setup and installation was a very easy. I have minimal knowledge of security and how to install them. I think the average person would find it easy to understand and install. I love how you can monitor everything from your smartphone. And did I mention the app is free. This feature comes in handy when you're out of town or for pets. I think the quality you get for the price is unbeatable. Along with the easy setup you can have a home security system for a fraction of what other people charge.

Original review: July 6, 2016

We had so many questions at first and I called and they were very helpful and polite and explained everything to where I understood and I didn't have to wait on the phone forever. Someone came on right away. I didn't have to wait long for them to come and install and when they were here they were very nice and didn't take long at all. They explain what they put in and where and how it worked and were very friendly and helpful. I was very impressed with the system and how it worked and how I could even do this by myself without help after I had talk to someone explaining more about the system. When I called and got a quote I was shocked at the price. It was very reasonable and for a system like this it was so worth it. We had looked around and we did not find a better price than this.

Original review: July 5, 2016

They are always there and seem like friendly attentive people. They are very understanding when I set the alarm off all by myself. Which happens way too frequently. The setup went quickly and the worker was super polite. He also was very patient in showing us how to work the system. We especially appreciated his helpful hints. We enjoy being able to monitor the front, back and side of our home. We used to just have security lights but this is so much better and meets our needs. The value was pretty good in comparison to others. There are cheaper ones out there but as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Cox Homelife expert review by Erin Raub

Cox Homelife from Cox Communications is a monitored system that can be bundled with Internet, cable and/or phone service for Cox customers. It offers mobile monitoring, 24/7 monitoring and smart home automation.

• Bundling option: Cox Homelife can be bundled with Cox Internet, TV and phone for convenience.

• Text/email alerts: Sign up for text and/or email alerts every time someone opens a door in your home.

• Home automation and control: You can remotely control your home’s thermostat, lights and small appliances. Lights can be put on a timer so you never have to come home to a dark house again.

• Locks control: Use your mobile device to lock and unlock your doors remotely.

• Cox Homelife app: Download the Cox Homelife app before you buy to take a tour and see everything Cox Homelife has to offer. Once you have made your purchase, use the app to remotely monitor and control your home from anywhere.

• Best for: New or existing Cox customers.

Profile picture of Erin Raub
    Erin Raub

Alarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.

Cox Homelife Company Information