2.26/5

Need a home alarm?

57 Cox Homelife Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 9, 2019

Purchasing a Cox Homelife system... being assured I would be able to cancel during the 6 month trial period... I had high hopes of being able to secure my home when away for half of each year. When I questioned. in advance of signing on the dotted line, of the recording capabilities of the system I was told I have fifty FREE recordings per camera each day.

However. the 720 mp cameras would never show a clear image of any object... even my stationary car... which appeared someone took a baseball bat to the hood... windshield leaving me freaked out about this sabotage to my nice car. Upon seeing the car firsthand I was relieved to see no damage at all. But the cameras’ images are soo poor one would never be able to identify a possible criminal caught in the act if it were to happen. What good is this for catching a perpetrator.

When contacting Homelife repeatedly... I should have kept a tally. I could not get any response to the problem with recording long term... by 11:00 am the fifty FREE recordings were used up from slight breezes. Turn down camera sensitivity... get no recordings. I wanted to buy or rent a dvr recording device... not offered during their transition to the cloud storage capabilities... which when ready I was assured I would be notified for getting this feature... NO COMMUNICATION.

Finally wishing to cancel before my 6 month trial period... I would be told a supervisor will call you in the next day or two... NOPE, no emails... NADA. Again calling back, told the same thing... NOPE. There goes the 6 month threshold for a complete refund for all incurred costs. So I stopped paying the $60.00/month payments for a service which was leaving my property 100% unprotected. THEN my bill for Homelife jumped to 500 dollars.

Then the following month it went to $871.24 for what? For not paying for an incompetent service from the get go... probably the amount to pay off the two year contract which ONE IS OBLIGATED to deal with without having the opportunity to cancel before the 6 month trial period as promised... because this CORRUPT BUSINESS plays smoke and mirrors with its customers/victims in order to profit on the unsuspecting people who really are POWERLESS against this entity simply by initiating a service sounding great from the sales representative... but the reality over the course of business dealings.. leaves me...OR it could be YOU! But reading this I’m sure you now know better! You are welcome!

By reading all reviews and getting an overall understanding of just how CRIMINAL this COX HOMELIFE entity is. Literally stealing money from those not aware before signing the contract... will be victimized. The little guy... just trying to protect the most valuable asset... the home... is being legally fleeced/robbed from a business entity... Cox Homelife... without any recourse... except for filing a lawsuit. Maybe someone willing to create a class action suit for this criminal activity of Cox Homelife will then and only then bring justice to the victims having experienced a similar financial loss without any customer support to get what was SUPPOSEDLY paid for... Ugh!

Original review: March 28, 2019

I have heart disease and when I got Cox Homelife, I felt more comfortable. My bills are too high though, but otherwise, my experience with them has been good. I would recommend them.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2019

We installed our Cameras 2 years ago with COX Homelife because we had already internet and TV from them. Had to purchase the Cameras and sensors and sign up for a 2 years monitoring contract for $52.99 a month. Now after 2 years I like to cancel this contract because there are better cameras and monitoring contracts out there. The Cameras are also not very good. Sometimes too sensitive and if you turn down this sensitivity they don't react at all. Now I'm 1 hour on hold because I told them I like to cancel my contract. This are NOT a GOOD Company at all. Overpriced and slow to react if you have a problem. My advice to you what looks for information, don't use COX Homelife. Use any other company, just not COX. This are criminals when it comes to customer service and response. You have better choices.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

When I purchased the Cox Homelife product the tech came over and showed me everything on my Desktop. It worked great. Mid contract they took away the CVR feature on the desktop which allowed you to view past events on the large Desktop monitor. Now you can only view with a mobile app on a 2-3 inch screen. Useless. Now they want to charge me a huge early disconnect fee. NO MORE COX FOR ME.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Someone forged my name on a Homelife Contract after I told the Cox Installation person that I did not want the service. I only wanted Cox cable and Internet. I have been paying for this service that I never requested. I have a copy of the signed contract that I printed from my Cox account and the signature isn't mine. I cannot get Cox or Homelife to help. I am in the process of hiring an attorney.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox Homelife?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I ordered a Cox HomeLife bundle on January 2nd, 2019, (cable, internet and Homelife Security). I had a technician come to my house and install the camera, a second technician was scheduled to come and install the second camera on Saturday January, 12th between 12-3 pm. No one showed up to my house, no one emailed, no one called, nor text. I placed a call to Cox at 4pm, and they sent two technicians who arrived a few hours later, super rushed, and with attitudes questioning if it was me who placed a "no show call". After this technicians completed the installation, they left, stating he was done, and had to go. My cameras were not working after he left, they were not picking up any motion, nor recording.

I placed several calls to Homelife support, rebooted the system many times, as advised over the phone. I had to schedule a third technician come in and fix the issue, he removed everything, and re-installed them. He stated they were now working again, and we wouldn't have any more issues. Literally after he left, the system stopped working once again, I placed multiple calls, re-booted the system, and nothing. They wanted for me to wait another three days to have a fourth visit, and get this fixed. I had already taken 12 hours off work, during these visits to my house, and my system was not working. Now I do not have any more PTO, nor the luxury of time to waste.

I was forced to cancel my system, no one was able to figure out what was wrong with it, why it was not working, nor what was going on. The system was active for 11 days, and only worked for 4 days. I explained to them, that I will have to cancel due to system nonworking properly, not only have I used up my PTO and taken time off from work, but I would have to pay for a system that isn't working, and no one has been able to resolve. They cancelled my system as of Friday January, 11th 2019. And now I have a $748.00 early termination fee, even though, I am in the "30 day money back guarantee" since I had a nonworking system for 11 days. I placed multiple calls, spend hours on the phone, was transferred from department to department, without any success.

I was advised on Monday January 14th, that a form would be submitted, and have the termination fee waived, since I cancelled due to system not working, and none of the technicians were able to resolve the issue. I was given the runaround, advising me to call back another day, or to wait for a supervisor's call. I called again on Monday January 21st, 2019, I was advised, they had to resubmit another form requesting the early termination fee to be waived, and to wait for a supervisor to call me. I called again on the 23rd of January, and was advised to wait and call back another day, since there was no activity in my account regarding the fee being waived, nor a supervisor contacting me.

As of today, I do not know what is going on with my account, I am being charged for an early termination fee, for a system that worked for 4 days out of the 11 days it was active. NO one was able to fix/resolve the issue with my cameras/Homelife System. NO one has given me a call as I was advised. NO one has been able to assist me in fixing this issue, I do not feel like I have to pay an early termination fee of almost $800.00 for a system that did not work, and they did not fix. I cancelled because the system did not work, I have no more time off work to accommodate another 4 hour technician visit to the house, and I am within the "30 day money back guarantee" that they advertise.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I reported a sudden issue connecting to my in house security camera with my Galaxy S8. I was directed to advanced tech support. They were very nice and told me they were working on a software patch. That was 2 months ago... No fix yet. I have called two more times and have continued to be told fix is in the works. I have given up. Too bad, when it worked it was great but now nothing.

Our Pick
    ConsumerAffairs RecommendedProtect America
    Resolution response: Jan. 14, 2019

They called me and resolved it right away.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I've been renting a room in a house, which is the only reason I chose the Homelife service that came with a bundle. Renting a room is the only way I've been able to afford the Homelife, cable and internet. I've told COX that I am going to be homeless after the 30th of this month and will no longer be able to use the service and won't be paying for service I won't be able to use and they are still adamant on sticking me with an early termination fee of $400. I have been a loyal customer ever since I've had my service and always paid my bill on time. It appears that COX has no sympathy for anyone who's unfortunate to no longer have a place of residence and is only concerned about receiving as much money as they can, no matter what. After this behavior from COX, they can definitely forget about me ever being a customer with them again. They are very unfair and they don't deserve to have loyal customers who may need their understanding in a time like this.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I had a salesman with Cox tell me about the Cox Homelife security system when he came to fix my cable wires. I had ADT system which I never had a issue with, but he told me they had night vision cameras, fire, security, recording features, etc. plus a phone app. Well needless to say nothing that the salesman told me was what was offered. The cameras or the cheapest ever offered. They go off and on and not night vision. Can't set the alarm system for away if you have pets but was not told until I started complaining of the system. The phone app doesn't work when you leave home or most of the time at home it just stays stuck on downloading. That was the beginning of a nightmare.

This addition to Cox the Cox Homelife has no one you can talk to at all. When you call they only want to set up maintenance service. They will not discuss anything else. They have a clause that you have 72 hours to cancel if you don't like it. Plus they send you the contract to sign by computer. The reason why is so when you don't sign it, they will say you did to rope you into a two year contract. Then when you complain that is the only thing they say is you signed the contract. They don't care that you were lied to about the services and the equipment. In my opinion it's a big scam. Nothing they said, to get you to get the system or about how it works is what you get. Beware. Just because it has the Cox's name on it doesnt mean it is as the other Cox services.

I had them come out because of the cameras going off and on and was told by the serviceman just crawl up a ladder and unplug it. Then was told even by the service ppl how bad and cheap the security system was, but because I didnt record the salesperson or the service ppl I was stuck in a two year contract (Really) if a company has to tell you that, they know it is not what they advertise from the beginning.

I tried to call the Cox Homelife main business office. Guess what. There isn't no one there in charge. Just phone operators. If you call the Cox phone number you just hear you signed a contract or do you need service on it. So where is the protect for consumers when what you are told you get is not what you get? Where is the protect against companies who just want to scam you when you don't even sign anything? I have tried to find anyone to help with this matter but all you get is, "Did you record anything" or they say you signed a contract on the computer even when you didn't. I should have researched more I know, but you really don't think this can be legal to hold you to having to pay for something you were lied to about, misled about, and told you signed something you didn't. Cox Homelife is a nightmare.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

We have been with Cox for years for phone and internet, so decided to get Home Life when we moved into our new home. Originally, we were told that it would be 250.00 to get 3 cameras installed, along with 15 sensors. When the tech arrived to install it, he said we needed 10 more sensors for the upstairs bedrooms and that it would cost us an additional 50.00. Then the bill comes... 1200.00 for all the equipment! To add insult to injury, NONE of the cameras work. I've had to have techs out to the house 5 times to try and fix it. The whole thing is a disaster. I've spent hours on the phone and hours trying waiting for various techs to come out and try to fix the connectivity issue. Would definitely NOT recommend Cox Home Life to anyone thinking about it for home security.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I purchased two HD cameras to go along with my Homelife and I was told that there was not going to be ANY additional fees unless I wanted to do the video recording service which I did not want. Almost $400 later they had to send a technician out for some reason it was not able to connect, lo and behold we find out that I am on the essential package not the preferred package and that if I want the cameras to be able to connect to the system I will have to pay an additional $15 per month!!! Livid is an understatement, like everyone else has said all they care about is throwing you a good sales pitch to get you to commit to the contract for two years. At this point I am ready to pay the $250 to terminate my contract with them and get rid of every single Cox service I have. Cox customer service has gone way down him, time to start looking for an alternative service provider!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

The Cox Homelife Sales guy here in Fort Smith, Arkansas told me he can add the Homelife into my TV and Internet package in place of the phone for no extra costs. I was skeptical but after much reassurance I agreed. The second billing was $498. I was charged installation charges, activation charges, hardware charges and fees I was charged that I told I wasn’t going to be charged. There were even fees that I was charged AFTER the installation date. Cox did a great job contacting Cox Homelife supervisors. My bill was reduced to $152.

Third billing date my bill was $500. I spoke to 4 Cox Homelife reps when I wanted to cancel the service. One rep told me she couldn’t see my account. That was a lie! Another rep told me it was already off my account but knew that was a lie when I was listening to my door chiming while I was opening my door. Two reps transferred me to back to Cox and didn’t even deal with my issue at all and the last one told me I was in a contract I was not aware of and that I would be charged $600. Paperwork was submitted 6 times to put me in a bundled package and all 6 times it was denied with the last time it being denied “in error”. The product is great and gives me peace of mind being a single mom but the shady sales guy, customer service and overall experience of the lack of care given to the Homelife customers is terrible!!!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Requested a service for an outdoor camera. Tech arrived on time to install Homelife. The appointment was from 8-10 am, Saturday 8/25. The camera that came with the package was not recommend as the camera is actually water resistant, not waterproof. Agreed to carry on as he promised the camera would pick up the driveway which is where incidents have occurred. The first camera he installed never came on. Tech advised this happens frequently and pulled another from his truck (this should have been a red flag). The tech installed the new camera and immediately started to power up. At this point the live feed would not work. He tried everything and eventually called his supervisor. They both worked endlessly to figure out the issue to no prevail. They both came the conclusion that Cox was installing an update the app. Tech left the property at 12:30.

Called Cox to let them know what had transpired as I do not want to be charged for another tech to come out. They advised the tech should have never left and they would have someone call me within 30 to schedule a tech to come back. One hour goes by and no call from Cox. I called back, they advised me that the tech was held up at another job and they would call me within 30 mins, understood. Just wish they would have communicated that better. AGAIN, an hour goes by. No call. Called back, was told they would have dispatched call me back.

Again, no call back within an hour. Called Cox back very frustrated at this point and was advised they could not get ahold of dispatch. At this point the items are not working, I’ve wasted a day, and I just want to return the goods. Supervisor place me to a call center that was closed. Worst service ever! No communication nor follow through with the products on the Homelife. I have had Cox for cable and no issues for years. Homelife is just too new and I assume not all the bugs are worked out yet.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

A little about me first, I'm a 58 year old retired law enforcement Officer from the New Orleans La. area who is living in Up-Town. In the past 3 years or so my wife was robbed, our cars broken into and a New Orleans Policeman shot right in front of our home. Not to forget we now have a stalker who wants to kill both of us. So we decided to get 6 Cox Cable HomeLife security camera's install 3 months ago (1,400.00 Paid) and that's when the nightmare began.

Within these 3 months Cox Technicians have been over 6 times and that's not counting the supervisor who has been over 3 times. All the technicians are very nice, but not one can get my cameras to work. They also attempted to install an extension device and shorted out the wall socket that caught on fire. The supervisor (Sam) stated he doesn't know why my cameras are not working. I'm tired and just want all money back so I can get a security system that works before something happens at my home.

Updated on 08/28/2018: Cox Homelife has been a horror story. I suggest to anyone even thinking about getting this system to reconsider. It's a horrible system.

We had it installed and the techs could not get it to work since day one. We had tech after tech and supervisors come over to try to fix the system to no avail. Then we were told that we needed to be patient because Cox has a new app coming out and we will be one of the first to be installed, then the system will work. A bunch of lies. The tech came out and installed the new app and still didn't work. I heard him tell his supervisor on the phone that the SYSTEM WAS NOT FIXABLE.

We asked for our money back and was turned down. We paid for a bunch of equipment that never worked and Cox feels that is ok. So we have cameras that were installed on and in our home THAT DO NOT WORK. They say that they cannot make it work but still refuse to refund our money. Now they are saying that it is WIFI issue. Well, it is COX WIFI. Cox Homelife is made up of a bunch of thieves! I thought that this would be a reputable company to have a security system with. I was wrong. They do not know what they are doing and we have to pay for it. Piss poor company!! Stay away from them.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I moved my service from one location in Norfolk, VA to another and was told that the only deal I could get for my cable in my new house was to bundle Homelife, TV and phone. I was also told that if I paid the $500 outright for my Homelife equipment I would be able to cancel at any time. I have tried to cancel and been disrespected on the call and the lady told me that she would be the final say and I would not be able to talk to a supervisor. I requested a phone investigation because the phone rep told me that there was no contract and it would be on the recording. She told me that no one would give me those investigation results and no one will call me back because supervisors do not call customers. Cox Homelife is a gimmick and they only care about the bottom line. No customer service at all.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Cameras never recorded, every time we had a person come by to fix it, they would charge us even though we had a 5$ equipment insurance (so if anything didn't work they would come and fix it for free). They would still charge me on my bill, so I would have to call and argue with them, then get the charge taken off. Then the circle would begin again. Recording didn't work, or cameras stopped working. Someone would come out, fix it, I would get charged, then call and ask them to take the charge off. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Paying $15 extra a month for 10 days of recording and we have NOTHING. Finally, I stopped calling and asking for them to fix it cause it has been a nightmare and a waste of my time and money. They credited me for 5 months (even though it didn't work for 19 months and that was AFTER we had 4 or 5 technicians out to fix it... continuously).

Absolutely time-wasting nightmare. If you are considering using Cox Homelife Security System: instead: place $75 a month into your paper shredder. Spend time on your phone, angry and complaining at least 45 minutes biweekly, then take 4 hours off of work monthly, to wait for a clueless technician to repair nothing. The spend another 45 minutes on the phone asking for them to give you your money back every other week. Cox Homelife: We make your homelife harder and we even charge you for it! We love financially ** consumers and when they complain, we blame the problems on them!

Original review: May 22, 2018

Buyer beware! Please google Cox Homelife scam and read the reviews before considering this low rate home security. They just want you to sign a contract and get you locked it. Terrible customer service as well! Buyer beware! Cox Homelife is a rip-off company. They will not work with you on resolving billing payments. Customer service is horrible and non-responsive. I was offered a combo pack and promised an installation charges reduced by 100% but I keep seeing hefty installation charges and additional monthly charges and partial month billing getting added to the bill. When you call customer care, they will keep redirecting to different departments.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Cox Homelife is a big big mistake I did getting installed. Even after being an existing Cox customer, I feel this the worst choice. Customer service is horrible and non-responsive. I was offered a combo pack and promised an installation charges reduced by 50% but I keep seeing hefty installation charges and additional monthly charges getting added to the bill. When you call customer care, they will keep redirecting to Homelife department which works separately. The Homelife Customer service will be unavailable for long and once they come they will say that I need to talk to the Homelife consultant that met me for my installation. This gentleman will not respond to emails or phone at once. Keep following and making your life hell is what Cox Homelife is doing. You get a better product and free installation with other service providers like Livewatch and ADT etc.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I have been having issues with the security system for about a year. The keypad sometimes accepted the security codes. Sometimes it did not. They replaced the keypad. Since then I have typed in the code and then the alarm goes off 2 minutes later. Requested service 3 times over a month. Cox kept closing the service requests without even contacting me. Called their resolutions department. Took 2 hours to contact the department and got some guy with a major attitude saying, "I want service cancelled." He told me that even though I have a system that does not work and that they have ignored my requests for service that I still have to pay for their horrid service.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Simply, we were evacuated during a wildfire. Someone simply hit the main breaker outside, kicked in the door, and we suffered about $65,000 in loss/damage from looting. Our homelife system? Did nothing. Their response? "Have you considered a backup generator?"

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I called Cox to cancel my Homelife service. Not because of anything negative, just wasn’t using it. Call was answered promptly, but instead of being transferred I was placed on mute for 3 minutes. My guess was they hoped I’d hang up. I was then transferred to someone else who finally transferred me to the “right department”. I was connected with Willy. He asked for my information and the account info and was told after his ‘brush off’ tone - “I can’t help you” because I wasn’t the person on the account. I understand that, but I had been cruelly handled prior to him and then given a smug ‘haha you lose’ attitude from Willy, I’d had enough. I asked to talk to a supervisor and was told they can’t help because I’m not a customer. Except I am the one that handles the account. He said no and then hung up on me.

I called back minutes later with my fiancé, who is the primary, and was surprisingly reconnected with Willy again. Our service was cancelled on his behalf. If you can avoid Cox, please do. Whenever it comes to customer service, they are the worst. When a company does not train employees to understand the need for customers, there’s not a service in the company worth the hassle of finding one person to put the customers' needs first. Cox needs to look into training their employees on how to treat people. Or maybe treat the employees better so they aren’t so miserable to the customer. Willy **, good luck getting by in life with your piss poor attitude. You’ll be stuck there forever until you get over yourself.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Cox Homelife will have you sign contracts that must be approved even if you are not they will say you are and in the event you decided not to continues your service agreement they will charge you for 3 years of service which can be well over $3,000. This company will not work with you on resolving billing payments. You will be in collections so fast will make your head spin. They also will try and send a unknown person are personal to your home to pick up equipment while you are receiving calls seeking and demanding that you pay what you really do not owe. Do not pay anything to anyone unless you have been approved. Who signed a three years contract with a company that only run off of wifi really.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I have never written a bad review about any service. That's because I haven't had such HORRIBLE service/Customer Service that I felt I needed to write a review. Until now. Cox Homelife Security messed up the time on BOTH of the appointments we had scheduled on different days. Early for the first appointment which me nor my husband could leave our full time jobs early to meet them. So they kindly scheduled us for the next week (when it was their fault, nice customer service COX).

The second time they arrived late with no call. They made us feel like we had done something wrong when in fact they were the ones who screwed up. They were rude and unapologetic. The second time they did this to us I was done. Even with a two year contract remaining and $600 to get out of it. We were treated so poorly I didn't care how much it took to get out of working with such a disrespectful tacky company. When we asked to speak to manager regarding our termination of the contract we were told we weren't allowed to speak to a manager. I have never been treated so poorly when I have been a loyal customer quite some time now. We are even considering dropping ALL Cox (internet, phone, etc). I want nothing to do with this company.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

After buying the Cox Homelife security system, we've had internet connection issues since the beginning. Let me put this simply, if you have internet connection issues, you have NO functioning security system. I thought that there was a "cellular" backup, but this backup still requires an internet connection. Also, if someone cuts your cable cord, you have NO functioning security system. Especially, since you advertised to thieves, that you have a Cox security sign in your front yard. And all they have to do now is cut your cord outside of your house. I don't work in the cable industry, and I guarantee I can find your cord and take out your security system. This is scary and a waste of money.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

Where do we start, the camera is too slow to pick up anybody walking up the house and stealing anything. I've had 5 people deliver items to my front door and the motion sensor has never caught anybody but will catch every bug and spider that flies past it at night. It takes 4 pictures and a 10 second video. It's hit and miss. I usually get an alert 6 to 24 hours after it's detected motion. Cox says it's Gmail and they’re working with them to resolve it, I should use another email server. Look at the forums. They have been working for 1 year to resolve this issue? The live camera video goes in and out all day. We have a larger home so their security screen has trouble connecting to the router. The motion sensor was set off by the dogs multiple times so a Cox installer had to come out to fix it. Each time they come it's supposed to be free because it still doesn't work properly but they charge me 75 dollars.

The bill with installation was supposed to be about 300 estimate for the first month. It was 600 dollars! I had to negotiate to get it close to what it should be. Sometimes we can't set the alarm or turn it off in the morning when we get up because it's offline. It goes offline about 40 times a day not kidding. You can't mount the control module to the wall and it's got a big ass power supply that plugs into your wall that they put 15 stickers on and screwed into the outlets that say don't move the module. The wireless cameras are a joke, they should never be installed wireless. They should run dedicated Cat 5 or nothing to these things. Cox Homelife is not ready for prime time. I pay 40 bucks a month for a sign in my yard and a dummy camera on my driveway that sends me spider and bug alerts 10 hours after they happen.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

First of all, if you have a problem there is NO ONE at Cox that can answer your question. I have two Cox Homelife systems and the customer service associated with this is despicable. The central station monitoring doesn't even know if they have already dispatched police when they call you. I am now saddled with a false alarm bill where Cox dispatched twice during a 15 minute period because they could not tell me if they dispatched or not. This is the worst customer service I've experienced in years. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT.

Original review: July 27, 2017

Cox Homelife is a scam run by sales people that will tell you anything to lock you into a contract. I had 2 sales reps lie straight to my face and tell me that my contract was month to month and as soon as you leave you will find out otherwise... Watch out for the bait and switch! They have a month to month but the salesmen make more money if they lock you in to a commitment. Please google Cox Homelife scam and read the reviews before considering this low rate home camera hack job. Terrible customer service as well! Buyer beware!

Original review: July 12, 2017

Cox Homelife salesperson sold us a Homelife system. She assured us that our dogs would not interfere with motion detectors. The tech who came to install the system thought otherwise and installed a few glass breaks. Most of the entries to our home are unprotected. The system is so worthless we don't bother to turn it on. To get a real security system you would have to spend THOUSANDS of dollars on equipment and then their wonderful $40.00 per month "monitoring" fee. Don't waste your money on this worthless system. Cox Communications is a horrible company that does not care to satisfy its customers or deliver what they promise.

Original review: July 5, 2017

Had Cox home life alarm system for over year. Many times system went offline. On May 1st, cancelled my account and turned in all equipment. Cox continued billing me for service. Called customer service July 5. Cox had no idea I had cancelled my account, even though I had no service for two full months. Boy, that makes you feel safe! Cox, could not explain to me how their monitoring hub had no clue I had no service! What a joke!

Original review: June 26, 2017

Moved to a new place. Had to go out of town for my daughter's chemo treatments. Have decided to get Cox Homelife so we can watch our home and our teenagers to be able to let them in and out of the home without needing a key. 1st week we had it, it was failing. Called and tech came and was here for a few min and since it wasn't giving him any "errors" he claimed it worked fine. A few days later, failed again. Long story short, Cox has never worked since we got it. A few techs came and didn't give them trouble the few min they were troubleshooting it, so they reported it was working fine. I flew home TWICE to meet the techs and they didn't show up. Cost me to be away from my daughter, time and money and it was just fine with them!!!

The cameras were ALWAYS having difficulties connecting. They never worked but we sure did get charged monthly for having them monitor our home. The key fob said lock when it wasn't and unlock and it was locked. Our house was left unlocked when we thought it was locked. Our home was burglarized and Cox Homelife FAILED to do anything and I asked every single person even the so-called supervisors how and who should I talked to about that and when I finally got an answer after almost 3 months of complaining and asking, he told me it was too late since I had to report it within 30 days. So we were pretty much ** OUT OF LUCK!!!

We have videos of the burglar from our self-installed cameras we had before we got Cox Homelife and recorded everything. They kept sending techs that spent a few min to troubleshoot, but they spent more time doing whatever they were doing in their vehicles than what they came for. I FINALLY got them to disconnect after a few months of getting charged and nothing worked and now Cox Homelife is charging me almost $600 for "early termination" crock of **!

Cox Homelife expert review by Ben Mannes

A monitored system that can be bundled with internet, cable and/or phone service for Cox customers. It offers mobile monitoring, 24/7 monitoring and smart home automation. Choose from 2 packages for $29.99-$39.99 a month, with installation fees from $25-$50. Contracts are 3 years and include extended life warranty.

• Bundling option: Cox Homelife can be bundled with Cox Internet, TV and phone for convenience.

• Text/email alerts: Sign up for text and/or email alerts every time someone opens a door in your home.

• Home automation and control: You can remotely control your home’s thermostat, lights and small appliances. Lights can be put on a timer so you never have to come home to a dark house again.

• Locks control: Use your mobile device to lock and unlock your doors remotely.

• Cox Homelife app: Download the Cox Homelife app before you buy to take a tour and see everything Cox Homelife has to offer. Once you have made your purchase, use the app to remotely monitor and control your home from anywhere.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
    Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Cox Homelife Company Information