4.0/5 (855 ratings)

About Vector Security

Vector Security has provided intelligent security solutions for nearly 50 years. Headquartered in Pittsburgh, the company offers a full suite of electronic security services for residential, business and national account customers. Vector Security assists with security consultations, installation, monitoring and service. It has over 386,000 customers.

Pros

• System relocation options
  • Equipment warranty
  • Support for home automation

Cons

• Strict cancellation policy
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Vector Security offers three plans with varying levels of wireless technology. Although its cancellation process isn't ideal, the company provides an excellent warranty, and the home automation support is a huge positive.

Top Vector Security Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I am extremely pleased with the quality of service that I get... They listen and give you a security system that will exceed your expectations. The owner is very good at helping y...

Verified

… Excellence with customer service, friendly, and professional. They explain everything I need to know. Help me with anything I need. My children were nervous without having an al...

What is Vector Security?

Vector Security is a home alarm and surveillance company. All systems include professional monitoring services from Vector Security-owned and -operated monitoring centers. Monitoring contracts range from 36 to 60 months. You can use mobile devices to access live video surveillance.

You can sign up for Vector Security by calling to schedule an appointment or by ordering online. A Vector Security representative will set up a time to come and install the system for you.

Vector Security prices

Upfront equipment costs start between $0 and $149, depending on the package you choose. Monitoring fees range from $44.95 per month to $69.95 per month. There’s no extra charge for professional installation.

Vector Security monitoring costs are pretty average when compared with other home security companies. To learn more about the pricing on Vector Security’s equipment, it’s best to contact Vector Security over the phone and request a quote.

To see how costs compare against competitors', consider Vector Security vs. Guardian Protection, Ring vs. Vector Security, Vector Security vs. Frontpoint and Vivint vs. Vector Security.

Vector Security packages

Vector Security has three home security packages. The Essential Security plan is the simplest and most affordable plan. Both the Home Automation and Connected Home packages offer smart-home support and integration. The Connected Home package is the most extensive and comes with additional equipment.

• Essential Security: Vector Security’s starter package comes with a wireless control panel, three door and window sensors, the Vector Security app, yard signs and window decals.
  • Home Automation: This package incorporates video surveillance. The footage is streamable through the app.
  • Connected Home: This includes standard starter equipment, an indoor camera, a smart thermostat and a smart door lock.

Additional Vector Security equipment

As with many other home security companies, 2GIG makes Vector Security’s equipment. The 12-point false alarm reduction works to reduce the number of times a nonemergency is reported as an emergency.

Some of Vector Security’s equipment includes:

• Carbon monoxide detection
  • Panic button
  • Medical alert

Vector security FAQ

Where is Vector Security available?
Vector Security is available to residents of the following states:
  • Alabama
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Virginia
Is Vector Security compatible with the Amazon Echo?
Yes, you can integrate Vector Security with the Amazon Echo, allowing you to use voice commands to control your security system. Vector Security’s products are also compatible with Google Home and use Z-Wave technology.

Vector also has several home automation options if you purchase the Home Automation plan or the Connected Home package. You can manage the system using the Vector Security app, Google Home or Amazon Alexa. Features include:

• Event-triggered automation
  • Thermostat control
  • Lighting control
  • Appliance control
  • Electronic door locks
How do I cancel Vector Security?
If you want to cancel service, you must send a 30-day cancellation notice to a Vector Security local branch. If you cancel before your contract is up, you will likely be subject to penalties such as equipment costs, an early termination fee and the costs for the remaining monthly monitoring fees.
Is there a Vector Security app?
Yes, there is a Vector Security app for both Apple and Android that lets you control and monitor your security system from your smartphone.

Is Vector Security any good?

Overall, Vector Security is positively rated by verified customers. We recommend Vector Security for its smart-home automation, strong warranty and relocation services. It also has a solid lineup of equipment.

The most common drawback mentioned in Vector Security reviews is the cancellation policy, which could be more lenient; however, as a whole, we still enthusiastically support its home alarm systems.

For more, see how Vector compares with our top picks for smart home security systems.

Vector Security video review

vector security video review
Linda: Hi, I'm Linda. I live in North Carolina, and my husband was interested in Vector Security because there were some break-ins in our neighborhood many years ago. And he bought us a contract, and we've been with them ever since. I've been with Vector for about 13 years and like them a lot. They were always secure, very consistent in their service. However, they were changing things, and I needed to update the system. And because there are break-ins now in this neighborhood, I started looking at some other companies, like Cove and Blink. I did a lot of online research and it just seemed to be complicated. Some of them, you had to set up yourself, and being past the computer age I just didn't trust myself to do everything correctly. I called Vector again to see if they had cameras that I could add to my system and because I had been such a long time customer, they offered me free cameras as part a contract, and they came out. They not only set everything up, they helped me update my own system so that I had enough wifi and all of the power that I need here. And it really only cost me about $57 for that installation. And he actually came twice because I had to do some work in between to get a new modem. And then he came out and it took him maybe, oh, an hour to finish the job and now I have a brand new system with three new cameras that I didn't have to pay for. My monthly fee didn't even go up. In terms of the purchase process it was very simple for me because I already had the service. They explained how it would be changed and how it would be upgraded. And they actually did not add anything onto the monthly price. And I like knowing that there is someone on the other end of my line rather than just having cameras. So I've been very happy with their customer service. When I call there's always an answer. There's always people there to respond. When they come out to the house, no matter who they are they're very professional, and very, very helpful. So the gentleman that came out to help me upgrade the system this last time was extremely knowledgeable, and so helpful, so kind. And it was quite a complicated process. He took two visits to come and help me and set up the cameras so they're perfectly envisioning my entire front yard, back yard, and my front porch. I can talk to the people on the front porch now, so it's really very helpful and very— I feel a lot safer in my home. So I feel very happy with my purchase and that I've chosen to stay with Vector, to go with Vector originally, to stay with them. They are consistent and they are very, very professional. The company is run in an excellent way and the customer service is wonderful, so I feel safer in my home. I feel safer knowing that I could look out into the driveway if I hear a noise and, or the backyard, and it's been an excellent process.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vector Security?

Original review: March 31, 2022

Our prior local security service (historically ranked as one of the very best in Richmond) disappointed us in many ways, so we looked for another option. Many neighbors have chosen Vector, so we asked for a proposal, which we obviously accepted. I must say we have never experienced personal attention and service in Richmond equal to that provided by Vector. Our installation was a bit complicated, but two of their service technicians stayed "on the job" until 8:00 pm, just to be sure all was complete before they left. In addition, their attention to detail was outstanding, they were extremely thoughtful and, in spite of the late hour, left everything in immaculate condition. In my opinion, Vector is by far the best security company we have used in over 35 years!

Vector Security response

Thank you for your kind words. At Vector Security, we strive to provide exceptional customer service and we're happy you're experiencing it in action!

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

It was a very good experience starting with Lori ** answering the phone and personally making sure that I was connected to the right people to get this taken care of quickly and with little to no issues. Next I spoke with Frank a sales rep. I don't particularly care for Frank. He wasn't pleasant to talk to at all and told me I was interrupting his lunch. He's pushy and his choice of verbiage wasn't good. In my opinion no one should be talked to in this manner let alone a disabled veteran.

After the Frank fiasco Lori put me in touch with Toni ** who was pleasant to work with and treated me with utmost respect as did Lori. Next is Dawn ** who worked with my schedule to find someone to work an odd hour so that I may continue to work (which I work roughly 12 hrs a day and a 1hr ride each way: total 14hrs). Also very respectful and easy to work with. That brings us to Scott the installer. Very efficient and very clean in his work. Has a great knowledge of the product and walked me through it and was able to answer every question I had. Great guy.

One thing I must say is that I feel all these people that I have had to work with should be given a raise. Scott needs one because he wore that mask the entire time he was here and I didn't see him take a mask break once. I wasn't watching him work but you notice people moving around the house and even when he was alone he had that thing on. The ladies all of them should get one because they managed to keep me with Vector even though I had had it with this company and believe me an angry old soldier isn't the easiest to deal with. Just ask Lori. I may be angry however I am always respectful and never belittle people in the process.

Now to Frank. The conversation started out normal and polite until I told him something that was told to me by one of the aforementioned ladies, I'm sorry I can't remember which one at this time, and he laughed and me told me he wasn't sure where I got my information and basically called me a liar and reminded me that I was interrupting his lunch. So with him I would probably recommend terminating him. I know if one of my employees talked like this to any one of my clients the way he did I would terminate them that day. Thanks for all the great work from Lori, Dawn, Toni and Scott.

Regards,

Jay D

Vector Security response

We appreciate your feedback and will share this with our team in an ongoing effort to improve our customer service. We're glad you ended up getting the assistance you needed. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience. Thanks for your loyalty and have a great day!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

We had a brand new security alarm system installed on December 4th, 2021, by Vector Security in Poughkeepsie, NY. About a week after the installation, one of the window alarms did not function. We called the company and during a very busy time of the year, they were able to talk to one of their young technicians, OSMOND, about this issue. Osmond was very kind enough to volunteer and in spite of his busy schedule, took the time to go out of his way and come over to our house early morning and correct the issue.

Osmond is a polite, courteous and respectful individual, who was very competent. He not only replaced the defective alarm, he then tested everything in the system, explained how the alarm system worked, put signs outside the home and did a superb job all-around! We hope, Vector Security will recognize Osmond! Customer service is a critical component of any business and Osmond demonstrated how important it is to step in and take care of customers even when schedules get very busy! Thank you very much, Osmond and Vector Security!

Vector Security response

Thank you for your kind words about Osmond. At Vector Security, we strive to provide exceptional customer service and we're happy you're experiencing it in action!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

I've been with Vector for a few years with no complaints. This installation was definitely unimpressive, the 1st team came and changed out the system. They asked did I have any questions, showed me how to use the panel and they left. Later when I was actually using it I realized the volume was too low, I no longer got alerts on my phone and my 3 alarm fobs did not work. So a different guy came back, added an extra speaker, changed out the alarm fobs, and left. I finally figured out the fibs were actually slow to send out signals to the panel. No one actually went through all the bells and whistles on the new panel. And when the 2nd guy came back he activated an annoying voice that counts down when I arm the system to stay. I don't really like this new panel, and will not be renewing the contract when this one ends!!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

Ray was very knowledgeable and professional…I was impressed and would definitely recommend the company. He was thorough and efficient in the installation. Afterwards, he trained our staff on the system and took his tone to be very clear. Ray had no issues with the “many” questions I had. His knowledge covered the system and extended to the phone app and the process by which the call center would be reaching out. When he finished, he clean up afterwards and left his card for any further needs. I would recommend the company primarily because of what he did to represent their group providing us with the knowledge we needed, I believe to be comfortable if an emergency arises. We are confident we made the right choice and look forward to the relationship.

Vector Security response

The experience you describe from Ray is exactly the type of service we strive to deliver to all our customers…we’re glad you got to see it first-hand! Thank you for choosing Vector Security.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: June 20, 2022

Been trying since last year to get a simple taste done for shop system, and been trying since April to get cameras at home fixed…. Before you sign up, his think…. 3 years contract is a LONG time to pay for something that will stop working and stay not working… but lord don’t let you “forget” to pay them… Horrible.

Vector Security response

We understand our team member has reached out to you to address this issue. Thank you for your patience and loyalty, and please accept our apologies.

Original review: June 20, 2022

Julius ** Did an incredible job, polite. Efficient. Answered every questions I had. Very good company to deal with. They definitely know what they are talking about. I called other big companies also and ended up getting just a sales information. Nothing useful.

Vector Security response

Thanks for choosing Vector Security. We value your business and are pleased to know you are happy with our service. We look forward to continuing to serve you.

Original review: June 20, 2022

The Vector Security staff was extremely responsive to my busy schedule and got a tech out here quickly to set up my security system. Once the tech was here he was friendly, quick, and explained everything to me very clearly. I had lots of questions and hypotheticals to run through with him which he patiently explained. He took the time to talk me through the app and the keypads in the house as well helped install the siren which had previously been missing. While I hope to never have them need to call me for a security issue, I know that if/when they do, it will be a positive experience. Very glad to have chosen Vector upon moving to my new home.

Vector Security response

Original review: June 17, 2022

We chose to use Vector Security because it was the alarm security company utilized by the previous owners. The installation technician, Clifton, was excellent and went above and beyond to make sure the equipment and programming functioned properly and in alignment with the needs of this customer.

Vector Security response

Original review: June 15, 2022

Frank came out and was patient in letting me ask a million questions. Curtis was fantastic with his installation and explaining the overall system to me. Overall I am very pleased with the employees at Vector. Super excited to have this system!

Vector Security response

Thanks for your compliments about our team. We look forward to continuing to serve you. Have a great day!

Vector Security Company Information

1970
    2000 Ericsson Drive
    Warrendale
    PA
    www.vectorsecurity.com

Media

AWARDS & CREDENTIALS
    2016 SSI Installer of the Year (Large Company)