4.4/5 (580 ratings)

About Vector Security

Vector Security has provided intelligent security solutions for nearly 50 years. Headquartered in Pittsburgh, the company offers a full suite of electronic security services for residential, business and national account customers. Vector Security assists with security consultations, installation, monitoring and service. It has over 386,000 customers.

Pros

• System relocation options
  • Equipment warranty
  • Support for home automation

Cons

• Strict cancellation policy
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Vector Security offers three plans with varying levels of wireless technology. Although its cancellation process isn't ideal, the company provides an excellent warranty, and the home automation support is a huge positive.

Top Vector Security Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I am extremely pleased with the quality of service that I get... They listen and give you a security system that will exceed your expectations. The owner is very good at helping y...

Verified

… Excellence with customer service, friendly, and professional. They explain everything I need to know. Help me with anything I need. My children were nervous without having an al...

What is Vector Security?

Vector Security is a home alarm and surveillance company. All systems include professional monitoring services from Vector Security-owned and -operated monitoring centers. Monitoring contracts range from 36 to 60 months. You can use mobile devices to access live video surveillance.

You can sign up for Vector Security by calling to schedule an appointment or by ordering online. A Vector Security representative will set up a time to come and install the system for you.

Vector Security prices

Upfront equipment costs start between $0 and $149, depending on the package you choose. Monitoring fees range from $44.95 per month to $69.95 per month. There’s no extra charge for professional installation.

Vector Security monitoring costs are pretty average when compared with other home security companies. To learn more about the pricing on Vector Security’s equipment, it’s best to contact Vector Security over the phone and request a quote.

To see how costs compare against competitors', consider Vector Security vs. Guardian Protection, Ring vs. Vector Security, Vector Security vs. Frontpoint and Vivint vs. Vector Security.

Vector Security packages

Vector Security has three home security packages. The Essential Security plan is the simplest and most affordable plan. Both the Home Automation and Connected Home packages offer smart-home support and integration. The Connected Home package is the most extensive and comes with additional equipment.

• Essential Security: Vector Security’s starter package comes with a wireless control panel, three door and window sensors, the Vector Security app, yard signs and window decals.
  • Home Automation: This package incorporates video surveillance. The footage is streamable through the app.
  • Connected Home: This includes standard starter equipment, an indoor camera, a smart thermostat and a smart door lock.

Additional Vector Security equipment

As with many other home security companies, 2GIG makes Vector Security’s equipment. The 12-point false alarm reduction works to reduce the number of times a nonemergency is reported as an emergency.

Some of Vector Security’s equipment includes:

• Carbon monoxide detection
  • Panic button
  • Medical alert

Vector security FAQ

Where is Vector Security available?
Vector Security is available to residents of the following states:
  • Alabama
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Virginia
Is Vector Security compatible with the Amazon Echo?
Yes, you can integrate Vector Security with the Amazon Echo, allowing you to use voice commands to control your security system. Vector Security’s products are also compatible with Google Home and use Z-Wave technology.

Vector also has several home automation options if you purchase the Home Automation plan or the Connected Home package. You can manage the system using the Vector Security app, Google Home or Amazon Alexa. Features include:

• Event-triggered automation
  • Thermostat control
  • Lighting control
  • Appliance control
  • Electronic door locks
How do I cancel Vector Security?
If you want to cancel service, you must send a 30-day cancellation notice to a Vector Security local branch. If you cancel before your contract is up, you will likely be subject to penalties such as equipment costs, an early termination fee and the costs for the remaining monthly monitoring fees.
Is there a Vector Security app?
Yes, there is a Vector Security app for both Apple and Android that lets you control and monitor your security system from your smartphone.

Is Vector Security any good?

Overall, Vector Security is positively rated by verified customers. We recommend Vector Security for its smart-home automation, strong warranty and relocation services. It also has a solid lineup of equipment.

The most common drawback mentioned in Vector Security reviews is the cancellation policy, which could be more lenient; however, as a whole, we still enthusiastically support its home alarm systems.

For more, see how Vector compares with our top picks for smart home security systems.

Vector Security video review

vector security video review
Linda: Hi, I'm Linda. I live in North Carolina, and my husband was interested in Vector Security because there were some break-ins in our neighborhood many years ago. And he bought us a contract, and we've been with them ever since. I've been with Vector for about 13 years and like them a lot. They were always secure, very consistent in their service. However, they were changing things, and I needed to update the system. And because there are break-ins now in this neighborhood, I started looking at some other companies, like Cove and Blink. I did a lot of online research and it just seemed to be complicated. Some of them, you had to set up yourself, and being past the computer age I just didn't trust myself to do everything correctly. I called Vector again to see if they had cameras that I could add to my system and because I had been such a long time customer, they offered me free cameras as part a contract, and they came out. They not only set everything up, they helped me update my own system so that I had enough wifi and all of the power that I need here. And it really only cost me about $57 for that installation. And he actually came twice because I had to do some work in between to get a new modem. And then he came out and it took him maybe, oh, an hour to finish the job and now I have a brand new system with three new cameras that I didn't have to pay for. My monthly fee didn't even go up. In terms of the purchase process it was very simple for me because I already had the service. They explained how it would be changed and how it would be upgraded. And they actually did not add anything onto the monthly price. And I like knowing that there is someone on the other end of my line rather than just having cameras. So I've been very happy with their customer service. When I call there's always an answer. There's always people there to respond. When they come out to the house, no matter who they are they're very professional, and very, very helpful. So the gentleman that came out to help me upgrade the system this last time was extremely knowledgeable, and so helpful, so kind. And it was quite a complicated process. He took two visits to come and help me and set up the cameras so they're perfectly envisioning my entire front yard, back yard, and my front porch. I can talk to the people on the front porch now, so it's really very helpful and very— I feel a lot safer in my home. So I feel very happy with my purchase and that I've chosen to stay with Vector, to go with Vector originally, to stay with them. They are consistent and they are very, very professional. The company is run in an excellent way and the customer service is wonderful, so I feel safer in my home. I feel safer knowing that I could look out into the driveway if I hear a noise and, or the backyard, and it's been an excellent process.

Vector Security Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2011

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vector Security?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

Actually I choose the previous owner Night Watch Security. My niece was employed by Night Watch Security and they had a promotion to get free monitoring equipment and I only had to pay for the monthly monitoring service. Thus far Vector security has been great. They call me when the alarm goes off so I know they are monitoring my home. They let me know when my battery is low even though the equipment makes annoying beeping. I have not had a break-in since before I had the system installed. I did have to get new equipment because the hot water hose bursted and damaged the main console.

My most current interaction with a Vector technician was very pleasant and quick. He installed new batteries and replaced a damaged sensor. It took me longer to get to this survey than for the technician Will ** to complete his job. Also, the customer care representatives were very pleasant once I got connected. My overall experience was pleasant.

Vector Security response

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to serve you. Have a great day!

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

I always have a relationship with my sales person Simon and I know each other for a long time all of my accounts were done by him and my family treats him as family but the Impressive event today for second to none your technician went beyond and above all he can do to get my installation completed. I didn’t realize my Internet was out of service until he contacted me on the phone. I was in Raleigh Durham and butterfly by reached Wilson the technician was getting ready to leave but I told him that I would really like to have it done so he stuck around and wait until my Internet is fixed and then stuck around even longer to help me link all of my accounts with Alarm.com which their services a second to none as well. Very, very happy with the events that happened today. Thank you

Vector Security response

Thank you for your kind words. At Vector Security, we strive to provide exceptional customer service and we're happy you're experiencing it in action!

Original review: July 10, 2022

I was alerted by Vector that there was an issue with my system connecting to the cell tower. I got this message late day, I believe it was June 26. The assistant I talked to that evening was in PA and could not fix the condition. She said she wrote a trouble report and Vector would call me. I did not get a call so I called the monitoring center. They couldn't help me - it was after hours on June 28 - so they told me to call Tech Support Service. After being on hold a very long time Mr. ** responded.

He was very helpful and understood my issue. Right away, he said he could fix the problem! He was very professional and I appreciated his positive attitude. He did fix the problem. I mentioned a problem with my driveway camera and he offered for me to call back after 11 (the time I schedule for the driveway camera to record) and we would check it together. I didn't call back but I was very happy and satisfied he had fixed my issue. A huge thank you to Mr. ** so I didn't have to spend more time trying to get assistance.

Vector Security response

We’re glad we were able to help you out. Thanks for your feedback and have a great day!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

It was a very good experience starting with Lori ** answering the phone and personally making sure that I was connected to the right people to get this taken care of quickly and with little to no issues. Next I spoke with Frank a sales rep. I don't particularly care for Frank. He wasn't pleasant to talk to at all and told me I was interrupting his lunch. He's pushy and his choice of verbiage wasn't good. In my opinion no one should be talked to in this manner let alone a disabled veteran.

After the Frank fiasco Lori put me in touch with Toni ** who was pleasant to work with and treated me with utmost respect as did Lori. Next is Dawn ** who worked with my schedule to find someone to work an odd hour so that I may continue to work (which I work roughly 12 hrs a day and a 1hr ride each way: total 14hrs). Also very respectful and easy to work with. That brings us to Scott the installer. Very efficient and very clean in his work. Has a great knowledge of the product and walked me through it and was able to answer every question I had. Great guy.

One thing I must say is that I feel all these people that I have had to work with should be given a raise. Scott needs one because he wore that mask the entire time he was here and I didn't see him take a mask break once. I wasn't watching him work but you notice people moving around the house and even when he was alone he had that thing on. The ladies all of them should get one because they managed to keep me with Vector even though I had had it with this company and believe me an angry old soldier isn't the easiest to deal with. Just ask Lori. I may be angry however I am always respectful and never belittle people in the process.

Now to Frank. The conversation started out normal and polite until I told him something that was told to me by one of the aforementioned ladies, I'm sorry I can't remember which one at this time, and he laughed and me told me he wasn't sure where I got my information and basically called me a liar and reminded me that I was interrupting his lunch. So with him I would probably recommend terminating him. I know if one of my employees talked like this to any one of my clients the way he did I would terminate them that day. Thanks for all the great work from Lori, Dawn, Toni and Scott.

Regards,

Jay D

Vector Security response

We appreciate your feedback and will share this with our team in an ongoing effort to improve our customer service. We're glad you ended up getting the assistance you needed. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience. Thanks for your loyalty and have a great day!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

We had a brand new security alarm system installed on December 4th, 2021, by Vector Security in Poughkeepsie, NY. About a week after the installation, one of the window alarms did not function. We called the company and during a very busy time of the year, they were able to talk to one of their young technicians, OSMOND, about this issue. Osmond was very kind enough to volunteer and in spite of his busy schedule, took the time to go out of his way and come over to our house early morning and correct the issue.

Osmond is a polite, courteous and respectful individual, who was very competent. He not only replaced the defective alarm, he then tested everything in the system, explained how the alarm system worked, put signs outside the home and did a superb job all-around! We hope, Vector Security will recognize Osmond! Customer service is a critical component of any business and Osmond demonstrated how important it is to step in and take care of customers even when schedules get very busy! Thank you very much, Osmond and Vector Security!

Vector Security response

Thank you for your kind words about Osmond. At Vector Security, we strive to provide exceptional customer service and we're happy you're experiencing it in action!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

We have been with Vector Security since 2004. The technician (Dave) was polite, friendly, and respectful. He didn’t mind putting slippers on his shoes before entering our home. He was proficient in his duties; changed the battery, checked all of the glass breaks and doors contacts.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

I have had a very good experience with Vector Security. Never had a issue with doing business with the company. I currently live in Maryland and probably will be moving back but this is for my Dad & Mother’s house. I enjoyed speaking with Clifton, who definitely displayed a lot of patience with working on my alarm system. He was very professional and neat.

Vector Security response

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

System upgrade 5G compatibility. Technician (Bob **) was great! Provided the service needed and was very helpful providing assistance with re-setting mobile app. Would recommend Vector to my friends and associates. He provided very useful information about my current system and the need for a possible upgraded system in the near future.

Vector Security response

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

Long-time customers. Todd always knows just what we need at our residences and business! Curtis was so very helpful, clean & wore a mask as my husband just had heart surgery. Curtis also suggested a few changes and add on that were perfect for us!

Vector Security response

Original review: Nov. 26, 2022

Thank you Brenda for getting all of our payroll straightened out on your day off! You Rock Vector security and keep us rolling! We all appreciate your hard work and attention to details. It makes a difference when someone goes the extra miles.

Vector Security Company Information

1970
    2000 Ericsson Drive
    Warrendale
    PA
    www.vectorsecurity.com

Media

AWARDS & CREDENTIALS
    2016 SSI Installer of the Year (Large Company)