Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.31/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Xfinity Home provides home security services with 24/7 monitoring. Home security plans start at $40 and come with live HD video, real-time alerts, a cellular system backup and smart home integration.

BOTTOM LINE

Xfinity Home devices are easy to set up. Systems include high-tech automation features and real-time monitoring. Some customers complain about Xfinity customer service, so keep this in mind when shopping home security providers.

PROS

• Custom equipment packages
    • Money-back guarantee
    • Easy-to-use devices

CONS

• Limited availability

Top Xfinity Home Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xfinity Home?

I do like my Xfinity Home security service. I like the keypad by the door and how I can set it when I leave and when I go to bed each night. I'm glad I've never had an intruder but I know if I did I could count on Xfinity Home security service.

They offered a really good deal signing up and good deal on additional equipment. ... They also allowed for payment options to pay for the equipment and installation over the course of 4 or months.

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

What is Xfinity Home?

Xfinity Home is a home security provider that offers customizable systems with 24/7 monitoring service. With an Xfinity alarm system, you can choose from equipment packages or shop a la carte to design the perfect security system for your home. Xfinity alarm systems are easy to set up and use, and the company provides professional assistance with your new devices.

How does Xfinity Home security work?

Xfinity Home uses a collection of smart devices to monitor your home’s entrances and exits for security concerns. These devices include cameras, motion sensors, entry keypads, door/window sensors and smoke detectors, all of which are controlled from a touch-screen controller or your Xfinity Home app. Xfinity Home’s professionals install your chosen devices and guide you through a tutorial to help you learn the ins and outs of your new home security system.

Xfinity Home security monitoring doesn't require a contract, but you may lock into payments for up to 24 months or until the balance is paid in full if you purchase your equipment on a payment plan.

Xfinity Home security plans

Xfinity Home offers two security plans, both of which feature professional monitoring services and live video playback from your indoor/outdoor camera. Each plan includes different features and perks that allow you to customize your home security subscription to your home.

• Home Security Plan: The Xfinity Home Security Plan includes 24/7 professional monitoring with real-time alerts and live video streaming as well as smart home control. If your home Wi-Fi is disconnected, the system uses a backup cellular network to alert you or the authorities. You control your account and security devices from the Xfinity Home app, and you can watch your cameras from your TV with a cable subscription. This plan costs $40 a month and does not require a contract.
      • Home Security Plus Plan: This tier includes everything from the Home Security Plan and adds 24/7 motion-activated video recording. The Xfinity AI differentiates between people, vehicles and pets to ensure you’re getting the most relevant alerts. This plan costs $50 a month and does not require term agreements.

Xfinity Home security cost

Xfinity Home security systems start at between $15 and $20 per month, plus taxes. Xfinity Home offers three prebuilt equipment packages or the option to purchase additional devices individually. These equipment packages are purchased with a one-time payment or with a payment plan of up to 24 months.

• Base Home System: The Base Home System package costs $15 per month for 24 months or a flat fee of $360. The basic starter package includes a touch-screen controller, three door/window sensors, one motion sensor and a yard sign. These devices include a battery and cellular system backup in case your home loses power or Wi-Fi. This package is ideal for smaller homes with up to two entrances.
      • Complete Home System: This package costs $20 per month for 24 months or an upfront charge of $480. The Complete Home System is a good option for larger homes with multiple doors and windows. This package includes a touch-screen controller, five door/window sensors, one motion sensor, one wireless keypad and one indoor/outdoor camera. As with the other packages, the Complete Home System also includes cellular backup, a yard sign and access to the Xfinity Home app.

Xfinity home security equipment cost

In addition to its standard equipment packages, Xfinity Home also offers a la carte devices. You can purchase additional sensors and cameras or upgrade your home with its selection of smart devices. Xfinity Home is also compatible with select third-party smart devices that control lighting, locks, thermostats and more.

Indoor/outdoor camera
      The camera costs $120, and you can purchase 24/7 video recording for an additional $10 per month. The Xfinity indoor/outdoor camera offers clear high-definition video, even at night. It’s weather-resistant and can be professionally installed or self-installed. With the Xfinity Home app, you can watch live video from any of your devices to remotely monitor your home.
      Zen Thermostat
      The Zen Thermostat costs $120 and can be installed by the homeowner or a professional. This smart thermostat puts temperature control right at your fingertips no matter where you are. The device is controlled and programmed from its sleek LED touch display or with the Xfinity Home app.
      Motion sensor
      Additional motion sensors cost $40 and must be installed by a professional. An Xfinity motion sensor covers up to 50 feet to detect unexpected motion while the system is armed. This small device discreetly mounts in the corner of the room and sends alerts or turns on smart lighting if motion is detected. The sensor is pet-friendly and isn’t triggered by animals up to 85 pounds.
      Door/window sensor
      Extra sensors are $20 each and require professional installation. These small devices are mounted at the top of the doorway or the edge of the window, and they send you alerts if your home’s entry points are opened or left ajar.
      Wireless keypad
      It costs an additional $40 to add a keypad to your Base Home System. The wireless Xfinity keypad disarms the security system using your personal access code. Simply place this keypad near your entryway to arm or disarm your system as you come and go.
      Outlet controller
      Make the transition to a smart home for only $50 per outlet. Want to turn your lights or devices on with the press of a button? The Xfinity outlet controller allows you to do that and more. You set schedules to automatically control lights, coffee makers, televisions and anything else you plug into an outlet.
      Smoke detector
      Xfinity does not include these detectors with Xfinity Home packages, but you can purchase them for $70. A smoke detector from Xfinity Home keeps your home safe 24/7 with professional monitoring and real-time alerts. Keep in mind that a professional technician must install the smoke detector.

Xfinity Home FAQ

How much does Xfinity Home security cost per month?
      Xfinity Home security monitoring plans cost $40 to $50 per month. If you choose a 24-month payment plan for your equipment, your monthly cost may be $15 to $25 higher.
      Where is Xfinity Home security available?
      Xfinity Home is only available in select ZIP codes, but its service area spans across 40 states. Use its online tool to check for availability in your area.
      Do I have to install Xfinity Home security equipment myself?
      You can install Xfinity indoor/outdoor cameras on your own, but sensors and smoke detectors must be installed by a professional.

Fortunately, Xfinity Home provides expert installation with convenient scheduling and customized recommendations. You can schedule an appointment within a guaranteed two-hour window to have an Xfinity technician complete a home assessment to find the best system for you.

Once you select an equipment package, they complete the installation and walk you through a tutorial to acquaint you with your new security system.

What cameras work with Xfinity Home?
      Xfinity Home security monitoring only works with its camera brands. You can purchase an Xfinity indoor/outdoor camera for $120.
      What comes with Xfinity Home security?
      Depending on the subscription you choose, your Xfinity Home security plan may come with professional monitoring, real-time alerts, live video feeds, video recording, cellular system backup and app control. These subscription plans range from $40 to $50 per month.
      Can Xfinity Home use ADT equipment?
      No, Xfinity Home monitoring plans are only compatible with Xfinity equipment.
      Is Ring compatible with Xfinity Home?
      Ring devices are not compatible with Xfinity Home. You can purchase compatible equipment directly from Xfinity.
      Does Xfinity equipment come with a warranty?
      Xfinity equipment comes with a limited warranty that lasts for 30 days from the date of installation. The warranty covers defects in the equipment or the workmanship of the Xfinity technician. This warranty only covers the original purchaser of the equipment.
      What is Xfinity Home’s return policy?
      Xfinity offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on its home security services and equipment. Contact Xfinity Home for more information on how to return or uninstall any purchased equipment.

Is Xfinity home security worth it?

If you're in the market for an ultra-smart home security system, Xfinity Home is an excellent choice. Xfinity Home offers advanced smart devices that allow you to monitor your home 24/7, even when you’re away. Xfinity plans are ideal for those who are tech-focused and looking to convert to a smart home experience. Its devices and features are often highly rated, but consumers sometimes have complaints about Xfinity Home’s customer service. Read reviews in your area to determine if Xfinity Home is right for you.

Xfinity Home Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xfinity Home?

Original review: June 22, 2020

Had ATT tv and internet for 6 months because thought Xfinity didn’t service my area. Ordered Xfinity the day I saw neighbors getting it. I will compare the two. Service Techs: ATT service tech was lazy, did a poor installation—drilled unnecessary hole in brand new home master bedroom, left a birds nest of wires, was elusive in answering any questions and didn’t want to help at all—just kept saying it wasn’t his department, even gave me a fake login email address. Took 2 days to complete install and sat in van most of second day to charge time to job while I had questions. Kept telling me my questions weren’t his department after he gave me bogus login info. Xfinity service tech was nice and professional. Completed install in 2 hours. Not a single issue.

TV/Cable. ATT has horrendous programming. Nothing flows. It seems like there are 10-20 channels of pure infomercials between channels I watch. They are aimed at milking Baby Boomers’ bank accounts dry. There is something like 6000 channels. The majority are nonstop infomercials. The remote is long and bulky. The buttons are hard to see and hard to navigate. The remote must be constantly repositioned in hand —moving it up and down while trying to find buttons. You have to manually change every recording from recording every single episode when you only want record new episodes. No voice guidance button. Every recording automatically records about 90 seconds of the ending of the previous program and 90 seconds of the next. This has ruined more than one show for me by revealing the ending of shows.

Xfinity’s programming flows. The channels are consecutive. HD channels are the 600s. No all day infomercial channels. It is easy to record programs. You tell remote to record and automatically it records what you want—only the new episodes. They begin on time and end on time The remote is amazingly easy to manually use. It’s ergonomic to hand but you don’t need to use it much due to the voice button. Just push it, speak, and it does what you want.

Internet. ATT is slow. Turtle slow. Constantly drops connection. I have to switch to my Verizon data to use cellphone while connected to WiFi. Horrible. Xfinity’s internet is lightning fast. It’s a rocketship and ATT is a turtle. Bottom line is if you have Xfinity in your area, it is the best option available.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

The cameras work well. The customer services is great at helping you solve a issue if one comes up. So far we haven't have had problem. But if we do this company seems to be on top its game.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

What I like about Xfinity internet

-No deposit required with autopay ($1.00 credit).
        -If you have your own cable modem can install it yourself with free starter kit or if you already have a coax cable just have to call Comcast and activate the modem can't do this with Verizon!
        -Has more wifi hotspots 15 million... Verizon 5,700.
        -Online bill is easy to understand.

-24/7 online customer service (some say bad customer service).

Original review: July 22, 2020

We don't have fiber in our neighborhood and are stuck with Xfinity for service. They have random outages about three times a week for 2-6 hours at a time. I'm signed up for text messages but don't receive any warning for scheduled outages. These aren't weather related...just bad service. I had to pay for unlimited data on my Verizon cell phone so I could use it as a hotspot when I'm scheduled to be working and can't access the internet through Xfinity.

Original review: July 6, 2020

I never learn my lesson with Comcast but this time I truly have. I tried 4 different times on 4 different days after speaking with about 7 representatives to stop my service for a move. I have been unsuccessful for over a month now. I moved on June 11th due to losing my job from the effects of the virus and tried to stop service prior to having to let my apartment go and they were unable to figure how to stop it for some reason. After an hour on the phone the first time I called I was advised to call on the day I move to have them stop service because I had a payment plan which I never set up but they entered me into without my knowing. They stated this was put in place due to COVID-19 but I never knew of this until I tried to stop my service.

Fast forward to my love day of June 11th, I was on the phone with Comcast for 2 hours and spoke with 4 people (One hung up on me for reason unknown) as I was passed from one person to another to try to figure out how to stop service and why it wouldn’t allow them to. I was eventually informed a manager had to do so and I would get a call back from a manager so we could proceed. The supposed manager calls back and tell me he cannot stop service and cousins figure out why and oh that’s he’s not a manager. So basically I’m getting the run around now. I told them I had to go as my movers were there and I will send the modem back today. Today July 6th I get an email that my service is suspended.

Now keep in mind I moved on June 11th and advised them of this and also have proof of returned and accepted equipment. I call Comcast once more, well actually twice because the first representative hung up on me so I called back again. I was informed they could not stop service even though I called and requested this multiple times and no longer live there or anywhere for that matter. I must pay a past due balance before my service can be stopped. So basically I’m being charged for a service that I have not used in almost one month and they don’t seem to want to help resolve this. Worst company for internet or cable ever!

Original review: June 23, 2020

Been with Comcast for several years now, been saying I want to switch for years now but I never do because I hate the idea of new workers coming into my home and let's face it, whenever switching to new company there are always issue the first few months! I'm just at the point now where I'm tired of being loyal to a company that could care less about me and all their other customers! I'm over it! I'm now actively seeking new cable and Wi-Fi service ASAP! I'm now at that point! I try and get my bill lowered a few times now, and I get lowered by approx $20/30 a month and then few months later it starts going up until it's even higher than it was! There representatives are never accurate on information, I'm constantly misinformed! Sad because been with them so long but it's time to move on to another cable/WiFi company.

Original review: June 21, 2020

Xfinity is a NIGHTMARE, do not use them for your own mental health. I had them for a year at my previous residence because they were my only option. I was paying 183 for a 140 plan, when I questioned it I was informed the extra 63 was for "taxes and fees". I was paying for a "gigablast" and at best would get 40, my internet went out daily and would freeze my t.v. I LITERALLY moved to get rid of them.

Lo and behold I move and the only "good" option is Xfinity for internet. So I set up an appointment for last Tuesday, tech shows up but won't come inside. I tell him I work from home and NEED internet in the back room, he tells me they aren't coming inside because of COVID, mind you my new T.V. provider did and the internet company I had hoped to use would, but not Xfinity, but let him see what he could do. A few minutes later he says he has his supervisor on the phone and he approved the drop and the tech will be here Friday between 2-3. Of course that was a lie, he stood there maskless, looked me in the eye and lied.

We called that evening and the agent was so sorry and sent out a tech the very next day. So today the tech gets here spends maybe 10 minutes and says "I can't do it, if you have a drill, drill a hole in the wall and then tell your landlord it was there when you moved in." Now I've been lied to and advised to lie by Xfinity in less than 3 days. After the tech left I spent my whole lunch hour and my husband spent 3 hours and the phone with different agents, techs, and supervisors being told several different things, lie number 3 was a supervisor would call back in an hour and never did. So here I sit, trying really hard to work from a card table in a corner of my living room dealing with a company that tries really hard to NOT do their job and provide the worst customer service in the world.

Original review: June 4, 2020

I have been with Comcast since 2007 and the issues are still the same, it's about the slow internet connection yet are charging higher prices. On 5/27/2020 they told to upgrade with so called fastest package with 600mbp and basic cable channels which Trace made me pay $130.00 per month which I did, guess out what speed that I am getting – 15mbp up to 29mbp sometimes. It so wrong.... This is the worst company I've ever seen and their thief. I the government can do something with companies that are ripping off customers and I never recommend anyone to this company.

Original review: May 21, 2020

Be very careful with Xfinity. This company is not transparent with their billing practices and will hit you with extra fees at the end of a term that's not supposed to exist. Even though their website specifically states that there is no term agreement, this is not true. If you sign up for a service there is indeed a term of 12 months minimum. The reps will not tell you this and at the end of your term, the cost will substantially increase. At this point you will be required to choose a new plan and again, get a new term. What their website states for a plan cost is different than what's actually available. Again, be very careful with this company. Personally, I won't do business with organizations with these deceptive practices.

Original review: May 11, 2020

Please don't ever take Xfinity. They have very bad customer service. I am paying for 1gbps but I rarely get more than 500 mbps with a top of the line modem. According to them my gigabit modem can't relay gigabit speeds and the only thing that can do it in the entire modem/router market is their xfi router, that is tracking my internet activity. I was told no contracts and no rentals on my equipment but then I was charged for rental even though I have my own equipment, coz the employee in the physical location decided to add me to it. I was never able to report this fraud employee coz customer service said it's not their problem. This entire organization is PURE FRAUD. I am stuck using them for another year because of this contract.

Xfinity Home author review by Ben Mannes

Xfinity Home customers choose from different base package options and add devices for a completely customized home security and automation system. Customized home security system pricing starts at $24.99 a month with a two-year contract. Add video recording to your plan for an additional $9.95 per month. Comcast customers can enjoy a discount by bundling their Xfinity Home system with TV and internet services.

• Security equipment: Packages include a touchscreen controller, a wireless keypad, a mobile security app, door and window sensors, a motion sensor and battery backup. Indoor and outdoor cameras and additional sensors are available for an extra charge.

• Security features: Homeowners can add the Xfinity Home Control package to their security package to enjoy remote thermostat, lighting and appliance control. You can control your Xfinity Home system straight from your TV with the X1 Entertainment Operating System.

• Monitoring services: Xfinity systems come with high-tech automation features and real-time monitoring.

• Installation: Home security systems can be self-installed or professionally installed for an additional cost. Xfinity can upgrade your existing equipment, including door and window sensors, the control panel and wiring, so you don’t need to worry about installing new security components.

• Trial period: The company offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Xfinity Home Company Information