4.03/5

Need a home alarm?

Frontpoint

Frontpoint does home security differently. By offering complete protection coupled with truly genuine and helpful service, Frontpoint gives customers everything they need and nothing they don’t. All Frontpoint customers get a personalized security solution designed to not only make them feel safe, but feel good, as well.

Every Frontpoint system comes with 100% wireless equipment and 100% cellular monitoring, for no extra charge. Cellular monitoring means a more reliable connection between the home and monitoring center, and wireless means no lines for burglars to cut. Frontpoint also works with you to ensure that every system is customized to fit every customer’s unique home and lifestyle needs. Frontpoint systems are also refreshingly simple, allowing for customers to set up, move or expand systems on their own, at any time.

In addition to intrusion, all Frontpoint monitoring plans include protection against fire, flood, freeze, carbon monoxide and medical emergencies. Also, advanced technology such as remote online access, free mobile apps keep customers in touch and in control at all times, no matter where they are. When consumers compare Frontpoint to the competition, it’s easy to see just what makes them stand out.

View More View More

Need a home alarm?

7694 Frontpoint Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

Frontpoint makes it very difficult to cancel. I've been trying to cancel my account for the past 6 months. I had been a customer for more than 2 years and had fulfilled all of my contract obligations. When I spoke to a representative about cancelling, he tried to get me to stay by offering me discounted pricing on my monitoring service. I was NOT interested because I had already switched to Ring which offered significantly better hardware (supports multiple keypads) for a fraction of the price of what I was paying with Frontpoint. Finally after hearing all of the incentives and declining all of them, I was told that I needed to submit in writing a 30 day cancellation notice and was given an email address. I submitted an email stating my name and the account that I wished to cancel. A few months went by, and I noticed that my credit card was still being charged even after 30 days from my cancellation notice.

I called Frontpoint again, but was unable to get a hold of the right person who was needed for this type of situation. I then decided to cancel my credit card, because Frontpoint does not have a way to remove an active credit card that is associated to a subscription. Nowhere on Frontpoint's website is there an email address to contact someone for billing or even support.

After a couple months, I received a call from a Frontpoint representative informing me that my credit card information needed to be updated. I informed the representative that I had canceled my account months ago and that Frontpoint is no longer authorized to charge my credit card. The representative stated that he would make a note of this to my file. After the call, I thought finally I was done with Frontpoint. A couple weeks went by, and I received an automated phone call from Frontpoint stating that important information needed to be updated to my account. I have been receiving these annoying calls everyday now for the past 3 months. Not sure what to do to get Frontpoint to stop.

Finally today, a representative called me and stated that I have an outstanding balance. I corrected him and told him that I cancelled months ago, and that Frontpoint has overcharged my account for the time after I cancelled, and that I was entitled to a refund. He said he would look into the matter, but I doubt it, and I asked him to cancel my account. I find it very disappointing that FrontPoint makes it so easy to sign-up, but extremely difficult (if not impossible) to cancel. The fact that Frontpoint has to stoop so low to try to retain a customer makes me feel obligated to warn others about this.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I purchased a Frontpoint system for around $1k a couple years ago and thought it would be great based on review. Unfortunately I think the product was not up to par and extremely laggy when using the mobile app/etc. For the price and quality of product I did not feel it was worth the money, however I was already in the contract. I tried another service and fell in love with the system and functions of it as well as the price (Will not name them, not here to advertise).

Nonetheless, I have been paying on this agreement and it's not even set up or in use but I signed the contract, no big deal. The kicker is when I call to cancel the service after the agreement is up and the rep on the line is extremely condescending and continues to tell me how 'inferior' the product I have is VS this one and how he is just giving me 'insight' on why I am using the wrong service. The insight I got was that I was making the right choice by using the other company and canceling with this one. Nothing like a kick in the rear on the way out after paying $3k in charges for a product I did not use.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

I cannot express this enough - DO NOT SIGN UP WITH FRONTPOINT! I chose to use this company, and had no issues when it came to the monitoring of my alarm system on my home. However, that all changed when I needed to cancel my account years later. In June 2019, I gave them my 30 day written notice. I was told I'd get charged for July, which I understood, but then my account would be closed and I would no longer get charged. In August, I checked my credit card statement and saw my credit card was in fact charged. I then logged in on my account with them, and it was still open. I called to get this figured out, and I had to sit on hold for over an hour to talk to the right person to credit my credit card and close my account. I was reassured I would get my money back and would no longer receive charges on my credit card. Well that was another LIE.

Here it is, September, and I received another charge on my credit card from them! I logged in on my account with them and it is still open! I just had to sit on hold for the correct department for 30 minutes again! ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. If I wasn't checking my statements, I would keep getting these charges and would have no idea. They send no confirmation that your account is officially closed. You are just suppose to take their word for it, which obviously does NOTHING. When I called this month, I was once again "reassured" that my account will be closed and I wouldn't receive any more charges. We will see though. At this point, I have sent in a notice to the BBB and I am reviewing them everywhere to warn others. If you enjoy being lied to and then sitting on hold to try and get your money back, etc. then go with FrontPoint. If not, choose another company!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

I called over a month before my contract was due to expire to make sure that my account would close, and that I would not be charged anything else. I was told that I didn't need to do anything else, and my account would automatically close, thank you for your business, etc. After the end date of the contract, I was billed for another month. I called to get that bill refunded, and they said they couldn't do that, and that they were going to charge me for next month too since I hadn't given 30 days notice. I called more than 30 days prior to my contractual end date and told them to close my account. That representative lied about me not having to do anything. He could have told me to send a letter, and I would have. But he didn't, he lied.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Be aware. If you are late on your payment Frointpoint is harassing the living day light out of you. My account was past due and they called at least 4-5 times a day. Even I made a payment they still calling. I have no more contract with them and it is very difficult to get your account closed even if you don't be under the contract any more. I will never use them again and by the way they are too expensive.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontpoint?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I did some research and I looked at all the other options. Frontpoint provides a lot more equipment upfront at a much lower cost. The start-up cost is minimal and the monthly payments are pretty equitable across the board. Their technology is very good too. They made a convincing point that their system cannot be deactivated versus the competition. If you're paying this kind of money, you want a system that is fool-proof, that cannot be deactivated even if power goes out or if it is tampered with.

Frontpoint's sales team is very involved, and if and when you get their support service people on the phone, they're extremely helpful. The difficult part is that the customer service they provide in terms of hours of service is somewhat limited, and it's somewhat difficult to get someone on the line. They should really consider providing 24/7 technical support, but instead it's cut off after 10 PM or 11 PM Eastern, which is less than ideal. That's the only drawback and something that I would improve.

The installation went okay, but there should be more work involved on behalf of Frontpoint to better understand the constraints of a home and provide the right type or set of equipment the first time and get it right the first time. For example, I have the main house and then there's an in-law suite that’s about 10 feet away from the house, but it's under the lanai. A lanai or protected patio is like a framed netting that goes around the outdoor part of the house, and there's a distance from that suite that I'm trying to protect to the main panel. I explained that in the beginning but still, what they sent me was not the right type of sensor. I tried that sensor to see if it would work and when it didn’t, I had to send it back and I got charged for it, and then I had to wait for the refund. That was really annoying. Getting the right sensor took a number of trials and it became a hassle.

They should also have the ability or the option to say that if it doesn't work the first time, maybe they should try to cure it with some troubleshooting. They should probably say that they will send the technician, which is similar to what other service providers do. The features offered in the system are great but Frontpoint needs to work on making sure that what you can do on the website, can also be done on the app. Although as a whole, the app is fine, it needs to be empowered a bit more. The video limit on the camera and the doorbell is a pain. If you set it to a bit too sensitive, they could set off very quickly. Then you're gonna get the notices that you're at a max video capacity and you have to go back and delete all these videos. Maybe Frontpoint could do something to either increase video capacity or change the technology.

We have set off the alarm a couple of times and I knew about it because I receive the phone call. The only issue we have is that using the app, it wouldn't communicate with the system, like I wouldn't arm. That was a strange issue and it happened for a bit of time. They sent me another chip or another card to put into the panel, but the issue just went away in itself although I don't think I changed anything. There are minor hiccups that one can live with and Frontpoint still has got some work to do, but they're definitely a good provider.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

We had a fire at our business and we had the whole thing on video. We saw how quickly the place was filled with smoke and I've got kids on different levels at home, so I thought that by the time our smoke detectors went off, I wouldn't have time to get them out of the house because I was at the bottom and they're on top. So I was researching and I purchased a different security system. Then Frontpoint's guy called me back and after I got done talking with him, I boxed it all to send it back and purchased the Frontpoint system.

I like the monitoring that Frontpoint does for 24 hours and the monthly fee is fair for what they are doing. I also like the effectiveness of their system and how quickly they call or send someone when something happens. We live out in the country and we've had our house burglarized before. I'm there a lot with the kids while my husband is traveling with the military, so the system helps me to feel a lot more secure as well. I put the equipment up by myself and that was me alone in the house with two four year olds and a 10-year-old. Aside from that, Frontpoint's reps were great and wonderful. Every one I talked to has been very informative and very helpful.

When I finally talked to my mom into putting the system here at our business about a year after our fire, she allowed me to do so. But when I was trying to put the two systems together on my phone where I could use them both, I was having trouble. I called in and the guy I talked to was very patient with somebody who doesn’t know anything about that kind of stuff. I'm not technical but he talked me through it completely without any trouble whatsoever. Now I'm able to go to my cell phone and turn the alarm off here if I need to.

I love that it sends a reminder if I haven't set the alarm at home because when you're running out the door, you don’t always remember. But one thing the first sales guy said to me that has stuck in my mind is it doesn’t matter what kind of security system you have, but if you don’t set it, it's no good to anybody. And that has always rang in my head because I'd leave the house with a bunch of kids running crazy and I do forget to set it.

One time, we were robbed while my son was in the house. I had my phone set at that time where it would ding every time my door would open at home but when he left the house, my phone didn’t ding. So when it did, I just assumed it was him going back to the house. It turned out that somebody had come in the house. So the next day, I knew my son wasn’t there and I just set the alarm when I left. The guy didn’t know we had a security system because it didn’t go off the day before, so he came back for more that day. But we caught him and the police said they wanted to know who I was using for my security because when I told them how many minutes had passed, they said it was the quickest and most efficient one they had ever gotten. So that was really exciting.

We also had an alarm go off in the middle of the night and my husband happened to be home that weekend. I had the smoke and the heat detector and Frontpoint called. I told them we haven't seen anything and they said we needed to look. So we spent an hour and a half sniffing and looking, and we saw smoke. I spent so much time to find out where this was coming from and I almost got frustrated because I didn’t know where it was. In the end, it was coming from the kitchen where there was the ballast in the light fixture. But that detector is so sensitive that it picked it up that much to where we didn’t even see where the smoke was coming from. When the fire marshal was here, he said that smoke detectors don’t go off in your home until it's too late for you to do anything, even to get yourself or your children out. And my smoke detectors never went off at my house, just my sensors.

Here at my work, we had somebody film an immediate video upstairs and they were using a smoke machine. But after about three hours, it never set off the smoke detector. So I didn’t disarm it through Frontpoint. But eventually, the smoke set the alarm off and I didn’t know if it was the heat because it has a heat sensor. But by the time I walked down the stairs from upstairs to go out the front door to try to call and cancel it, the fire department was at my front door. That was around 40 seconds and it was great. Overall, I love everything about Frontpoint and I tell everybody about them. I've even gotten several people to sign up. I told them a little bit about everything that has happened to me and how much the system saved me.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I was gonna get a new home and I was using Frontpoint to be able to secure the building during the time we were doing construction and then have something to offer the individual who would be renting the premises afterwards. I chose Frontpoint after doing research. It seemed as though I would be able to place all of the components and activate the system with the support that was available without having to schedule any installation. I received the box that contained all of the components, went through the house, installed the components and using my cellphone, was able to ensure that the components were communicating with the hub. Then I made a phone call to Frontpoint to have them activate and verify that the system was functioning properly. For the most part, the installation was fairly straightforward.

The instructions were fairly simple and the videos were really valuable. Essentially, once you've watched the video, you would have an idea of what you need to do. It was a cookbook type of going from A to B, C, D, and then let the system come online. However, there are some sensors that would require a little bit more finesse than others, depending on the type of door you have. I had to drill one into the door because the door was inset and it would not allow for any kind of adhesive attachment. But I’m a woodworker and there was no problem with that. I’ve also had a number of communications with Frontpoint and those have always been very positive and helpful.

The features are fairly good for the value that you get for the package. One of the concerns that I had initially when I purchased the package was about the touchscreen display that was being offered at the time. This touchscreen display was really what I was looking for and it sold me on the Frontpoint system because it worked pretty much like an iPad. Unfortunately, with some of the construction we had there, the pad failed to communicate with the sensors at one point and went completely dead.

When I spoke to Frontpoint, they did an evaluation but they said there was nothing that they could do. Unfortunately, they didn’t make that touchscreen display anymore. They were having some problems with it based on the battery that was being installed and some of them would overheat and melt. I was a little bit dismayed when they told me that I would have to set it back in and then get a non-touchscreen hub that would be utilized with a keypad.

So what I did was I told them I would communicate with them later. I unplugged the unit and it completely drained for 24 hours. I re-plugged with an electrical spike arrester with a filter and as soon as I did that, it worked flawlessly. It hasn’t come back up with some other problems with me ever since either. So that was a bit of a diagnostic snafu. With the construction that was being done in the home, we may have had some kind of electrical charge which created a little burn that messed with it at first.

I don’t know how Frontpoint would have known any better from a diagnostic standpoint. However, if I had gone to the non-touchscreen hub, they would have created a little bit of an issue with me because that’s not exactly the system that I wanted. If they had swapped it with a keypad and altered the subscription, I'd probably not do it. That’s how strongly I feel about the touchscreen display. On the other hand, I think that the system is hardening sufficiently to different types of electromagnetic interference that can be utilized from fusion. In other words, there is some kind of electric field on all of the other systems that you can pull into not sending an alarm. You basically send a carrier signal that tells the system that it didn’t activate and you open the door.

I also like the security of knowing that with Frontpoint, you can be in bed and if you don't remember if you locked the front door, you can pick up your cellphone and do it. That’s a little bit more secure. If you have work and you have a kid coming home, you also get a signal that the door was opened and closed. You can even see if somebody kept the window open in the basement. So the system is really well-functioning. It’s ergonomically superior than other systems I’ve seen. It’s intuitive and also expandable. I also like the idea that if any of the sensors go bad, Frontpoint would replace them.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

There was a time when I decided to use a different security system provider. I live out in the country, so whether I have one person or another, nobody’s gonna be local. Instead, there’s a call center that’s gonna call somebody. I tried Frontpoint and I've had great interactions with their reps thus far. Every time I leave my garage, somebody calls me because I forget to turn the alarm off. It is a natural instinct to start the garage open before I get there and I forget that I gotta turn the alarm off first. Even so, Frontpoint's system has a web app and that makes it easier. I do it all through my phone, so I can disarm it quickly and it works out well.

The installation of my system was simple. It was just peeling and sticking and then linking the equipment with the central panel. However, the motion sensor took a little time to connect or to activate. It was also a matter of putting it somewhere where it would pick up what I’m wanting to pick up. I also wasn’t ready to mount the sensor to my wall yet and put holes in the wall because it’s a new house, so I had to find a spot that I could put it until I decide for a permanent location.

The equipment has been fine. The very high reviews for Frontpoint led me to them and I’m willing to try anything for a time period. If it wasn’t for the high ratings, I wouldn’t even give them a try -- having a three-year commitment and charging as much as they do. I’ve had ADT for years at multiple cities and I’ve never paid more than $32 a month. I am paying $45 for Frontpoint and if I decide to get the doorbell camera, which I would like to, then it’s gonna go to $50. That’s a huge increase compared to $32 that I’ve been paying since back in the mid-2000s timeframe.

There was confusion when I first started off with Frontpoint with the glass breakage. We were trying to decide whether I was gonna have a motion sensor or not. I ended up getting a motion sensor eventually, but it was just miscommunication being the person was on the phone. The way they described the motion sensor was every time I will arm it, the motion sensor will be on. I asked what would happen if I get up in the middle of the night and get some water, and they said that I needed to get the glass breakage. I got it, but, later on, I figured out that it was just like any other system. It won’t set off when you set it. The motion sensor is not turned on when you arm it. I had to add the sensor later as opposed to getting it right up front.

While the equipment cost is very reasonable, the back end monthly cost is expensive. I wish Frontpoint would be a little cheaper considering that one of their toughest competitors, SimpliSafe, only charge $15 per monitoring fee. There is a huge difference between $15 and $45 and $45 is a lot for a monitoring fee compared to others. There are others out there that are gonna be competitive as far as same features and a lot of the same things. They are locking somebody in for three years and the fact that they are charging that much, if they are not careful, they are missing out on a lot of business by being as expensive as they are. If someone decides to start rating Frontpoint lower for whatever reason, they will lose lots of business because of the price.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Purchasing a home security system started making sense given the way things are going in this country. It's a good idea to make sure that your home is guarded. The sales member at Frontpoint was very helpful. He was able to walk me through all the different types of features that are available and was able to give me pros and cons of simpler and more sophisticated solutions. That helped to right-size what we needed based upon our experience.

Installing the system was straightforward. I set it up in about half an hour. The biggest challenge though is trying to figure out where to put some of the different sensors and devices because you need to start testing them, like whether it sees me or it sees the dog and things that you wouldn't think of if somebody else would come in and set it up. While setting it up mechanically was not a problem, getting things going was a little more of a chore because they don’t issue a burglar alarm permit in my town. They want you to send in a form and they’ll take it but they don’t give you a number. The rep at Frontpoint said that I need to get a registration number form but I said they don't give one. So they ended up going back to the police station two times. That’s always very awkward because the man behind the glass wall doesn’t really wanna talk.

Eventually, they looked it up and said that while they don't have a registration number, they put all these registrations in based upon my phone number. So basically, the number I need to give them is my phone number at home. I got to deal with the fire department too and that was another story because when I went to the fire department, they don’t have a door open for you and once again they don’t give a number. They just take the form from you so that’s a bit wonky.

In addition to that, I got a credit card issue at one point where they said that my credit card is not working. I insisted that I used it that day. So I ended up calling somebody at Frontpoint and he said that the card is working okay but when they registered me, there was something that had to be paid that wasn't paid at that time. Although he was able to fix it in the system, for the past two weeks now I've been getting some warning emails telling me that my credit card that is on file is about to expire. It's a little bit of a wonky because what they were suggesting was to give them two credit cards so that they would always have a card that they could charge me on. I told them that my card is not going to expire. It's just gonna be renewed with the same number.

I didn’t get all the bells and whistles but the general features of the Frontpoint system are rich. I just wanted the fire alarm so that if something breaks out, at least we would be aware rather than just relying upon neighbors hearing a thing. From where we are, I don’t think they would hear it. We're kind of in the woods so being able to activate something to come out before the whole thing burns down would probably be helpful. The only issue I had was in my garage. When I talked to the sales guy originally, he suggested doing the sound sensor system in case somebody tries to get in the house by breaking the window in the garage. But then reading the material a little bit further, they suggested not putting that in the garage because the sounds you get from a garage opener can also emulate glass breaking.

Generally, the Frontpoint system is good but when I started doing some research after I got the unit, I realized that the central station is subject to a smash kind of situation where burglars know that they’ve got a minute to get to your house, find your central station and throw it in the toilet and short-circuit the whole thing before it dials out and calls for help. So in learning about that, I realized that it would be better off putting it into my hallway closet and putting a lock on the closet. Since I'm within line of sight of a cell tower, which is always active, I know that if somebody gets in there, that thing gets triggered within a minute. It's gonna be dialing out.

In closing, it's good to know that there exists a technology like Frontpoint's because in the old days, burglars only have to cut the phone line and they're done. If we go traveling, it's good to know that the system is guarding the house and if something happens we'll get notified and I can have somebody go over and take a look. Frontpoint is a good company to go with because there are knowledgeable people who would help figure out what you need.

Frontpoint expert review by Ben Mannes

Choose from 3 wireless security system packages for $34.99-$49.99 a month. Systems are self-installed and include 24/7 monitoring, crash and smash technology along with fire and medical protection. Contracts range from 1-3 years.

• Installation: All Frontpoint equipment is designed to be installed by the consumer, so the company doesn’t employ any installation technicians. This saves consumers a significant amount of money when getting a new system.

• Mobile access: Frontpoint's mobile apps let you access your security system, review information and control your home from anywhere you have an Internet connection via computer or smartphone.

• Cellular monitoring: The Frontpoint Control Panel communicates with the Monitoring Center via cell phone, so it's not dependent on a phone line. Even if your home phone line is cut or the system is smashed, your alarm will send out a cell alert to Frontpoint Monitoring.

• Portable: Frontpoint's 100 percent wireless sensors are easy to set up and require no hard wiring, so a Frontpoint security system can be easily moved to a new address.

• Equipment cost: With Frontpoint, you purchase your equipment outright. While your upfront cost could be a few hundred dollars once you add extra sensors, remotes and other accessories, purchasing your equipment can actually save you money in the long run. Frontpoint equipment has a three-year warranty.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
      Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Frontpoint Company Information