3.62/5

Get matched with the best Home Security System.

Frontpoint

Frontpoint does home security differently. By offering complete protection coupled with truly genuine and helpful service, Frontpoint gives customers everything they need and nothing they don’t. All Frontpoint customers get a personalized security solution designed to not only make them feel safe, but feel good, as well.

Every Frontpoint system comes with 100% wireless equipment and 100% cellular monitoring, for no extra charge. Cellular monitoring means a more reliable connection between the home and monitoring center, and wireless means no lines for burglars to cut. Frontpoint also works with you to ensure that every system is customized to fit every customer’s unique home and lifestyle needs. Frontpoint systems are also refreshingly simple, allowing for customers to set up, move or expand systems on their own, at any time.

In addition to intrusion, all Frontpoint monitoring plans include protection against fire, flood, freeze, carbon monoxide and medical emergencies. Also, advanced technology such as remote online access, free mobile apps keep customers in touch and in control at all times, no matter where they are. When consumers compare Frontpoint to the competition, it’s easy to see just what makes them stand out.

View More View More

Get matched with the best Home Security System.

Frontpoint Reviews

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I did some research and I looked at all the other options. Frontpoint provides a lot more equipment upfront at a much lower cost. The start-up cost is minimal and the monthly payments are pretty equitable across the board. Their technology is very good too. They made a convincing point that their system cannot be deactivated versus the competition. If you're paying this kind of money, you want a system that is fool-proof, that cannot be deactivated even if power goes out or if it is tampered with.

Frontpoint's sales team is very involved, and if and when you get their support service people on the phone, they're extremely helpful. The difficult part is that the customer service they provide in terms of hours of service is somewhat limited, and it's somewhat difficult to get someone on the line. They should really consider providing 24/7 technical support, but instead it's cut off after 10 PM or 11 PM Eastern, which is less than ideal. That's the only drawback and something that I would improve.

The installation went okay, but there should be more work involved on behalf of Frontpoint to better understand the constraints of a home and provide the right type or set of equipment the first time and get it right the first time. For example, I have the main house and then there's an in-law suite that’s about 10 feet away from the house, but it's under the lanai. A lanai or protected patio is like a framed netting that goes around the outdoor part of the house, and there's a distance from that suite that I'm trying to protect to the main panel. I explained that in the beginning but still, what they sent me was not the right type of sensor. I tried that sensor to see if it would work and when it didn’t, I had to send it back and I got charged for it, and then I had to wait for the refund. That was really annoying. Getting the right sensor took a number of trials and it became a hassle.

They should also have the ability or the option to say that if it doesn't work the first time, maybe they should try to cure it with some troubleshooting. They should probably say that they will send the technician, which is similar to what other service providers do. The features offered in the system are great but Frontpoint needs to work on making sure that what you can do on the website, can also be done on the app. Although as a whole, the app is fine, it needs to be empowered a bit more. The video limit on the camera and the doorbell is a pain. If you set it to a bit too sensitive, they could set off very quickly. Then you're gonna get the notices that you're at a max video capacity and you have to go back and delete all these videos. Maybe Frontpoint could do something to either increase video capacity or change the technology.

We have set off the alarm a couple of times and I knew about it because I receive the phone call. The only issue we have is that using the app, it wouldn't communicate with the system, like I wouldn't arm. That was a strange issue and it happened for a bit of time. They sent me another chip or another card to put into the panel, but the issue just went away in itself although I don't think I changed anything. There are minor hiccups that one can live with and Frontpoint still has got some work to do, but they're definitely a good provider.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

We had a fire at our business and we had the whole thing on video. We saw how quickly the place was filled with smoke and I've got kids on different levels at home, so I thought that by the time our smoke detectors went off, I wouldn't have time to get them out of the house because I was at the bottom and they're on top. So I was researching and I purchased a different security system. Then Frontpoint's guy called me back and after I got done talking with him, I boxed it all to send it back and purchased the Frontpoint system.

I like the monitoring that Frontpoint does for 24 hours and the monthly fee is fair for what they are doing. I also like the effectiveness of their system and how quickly they call or send someone when something happens. We live out in the country and we've had our house burglarized before. I'm there a lot with the kids while my husband is traveling with the military, so the system helps me to feel a lot more secure as well. I put the equipment up by myself and that was me alone in the house with two four year olds and a 10-year-old. Aside from that, Frontpoint's reps were great and wonderful. Every one I talked to has been very informative and very helpful.

When I finally talked to my mom into putting the system here at our business about a year after our fire, she allowed me to do so. But when I was trying to put the two systems together on my phone where I could use them both, I was having trouble. I called in and the guy I talked to was very patient with somebody who doesn’t know anything about that kind of stuff. I'm not technical but he talked me through it completely without any trouble whatsoever. Now I'm able to go to my cell phone and turn the alarm off here if I need to.

I love that it sends a reminder if I haven't set the alarm at home because when you're running out the door, you don’t always remember. But one thing the first sales guy said to me that has stuck in my mind is it doesn’t matter what kind of security system you have, but if you don’t set it, it's no good to anybody. And that has always rang in my head because I'd leave the house with a bunch of kids running crazy and I do forget to set it.

One time, we were robbed while my son was in the house. I had my phone set at that time where it would ding every time my door would open at home but when he left the house, my phone didn’t ding. So when it did, I just assumed it was him going back to the house. It turned out that somebody had come in the house. So the next day, I knew my son wasn’t there and I just set the alarm when I left. The guy didn’t know we had a security system because it didn’t go off the day before, so he came back for more that day. But we caught him and the police said they wanted to know who I was using for my security because when I told them how many minutes had passed, they said it was the quickest and most efficient one they had ever gotten. So that was really exciting.

We also had an alarm go off in the middle of the night and my husband happened to be home that weekend. I had the smoke and the heat detector and Frontpoint called. I told them we haven't seen anything and they said we needed to look. So we spent an hour and a half sniffing and looking, and we saw smoke. I spent so much time to find out where this was coming from and I almost got frustrated because I didn’t know where it was. In the end, it was coming from the kitchen where there was the ballast in the light fixture. But that detector is so sensitive that it picked it up that much to where we didn’t even see where the smoke was coming from. When the fire marshal was here, he said that smoke detectors don’t go off in your home until it's too late for you to do anything, even to get yourself or your children out. And my smoke detectors never went off at my house, just my sensors.

Here at my work, we had somebody film an immediate video upstairs and they were using a smoke machine. But after about three hours, it never set off the smoke detector. So I didn’t disarm it through Frontpoint. But eventually, the smoke set the alarm off and I didn’t know if it was the heat because it has a heat sensor. But by the time I walked down the stairs from upstairs to go out the front door to try to call and cancel it, the fire department was at my front door. That was around 40 seconds and it was great. Overall, I love everything about Frontpoint and I tell everybody about them. I've even gotten several people to sign up. I told them a little bit about everything that has happened to me and how much the system saved me.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I have ** people within my neighborhood. So, I decided to get a home security system. I did a search and I had some experience with a provider that my father-in-law had been dealing with. But they’ve switched owners five times in 10 years and I didn’t’ wanna deal with that. Instead, I went with Frontpoint. It seemed like their offer was a good value and I really liked that they were super affordable. I also liked the smart interactivity where I can check everything on my phone. Plus, the expandability of the system was something that I liked as well as I can add modules to the smoke detectors as I want to.

Frontpoint's equipment was easy to install. You just follow instructions on a tablet or a phone and everything came out of the box ready to go, so you just peel and stick. But I needed to do a little bit of tweaking on the motion sensors because of their sensitivity and directionality. Then, I did a bunch of testing during the set up period of setting off the sensors and the sensors were very accurate.

The only thing is, I’m Canadian and Frontpoint's salespeople were not as up to speed on jurisdictional requirements as they should be because there was a whole permitting process that I had to go through that I did not know of until I’ve actually entirely engaged in acquiring the system. If they’re selling in that jurisdiction, they should have that already in their frontline interactions with the customer. So it was an annoyance. It wouldn’t have deterred me from getting a security system but it’s one of the things that if I'd gone with somebody local or one of these installer-based security, they would have known that and they would have either acquired it for me or advised me of it.

Another thing is, I did a bunch of my own research in terms of interactivity with other smart systems having doorbell cams, door locks, garage doors, and other sensor modules like smoke, fire, and CO2. And Frontpoint's system is very much set up in an Apple model of being very simple and easy to follow instructions. But I’m an IT guy so I started looking for more depth and expandability about how would I create a subnet and attach repeaters on there so I can control more stuff routed through the central control panel of the Frontpoint system. And that took a little bit more digging than I would have appreciated. There should be a little more variability in terms of whether you want an easy or advanced mode. But that’s not a complaint and that might only apply to me.

Other than that, my interaction with Frontpoint's reps was fantastic and they were very knowledgeable. I was also super happy with the speed of delivery and the cost for me was totally reasonable compared to other providers that I researched. I like that with the system, if I get a warning that the door is not closed, I get that right away. So the fact that the system relies on cellular networks is really good. There's almost an instantaneous interactivity and it's a good value. All in all, I’d recommend Frontpoint to other people and the first thing I'd tell them is that they'd have to go to the city and get a permit.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

We get a home security system as a matter of insurance and we had a different security system before. But they’re local over in Spokane and they suit the needs for that locale. Frontpoint, on the other hand, fits the needs we have here, being out in the country and not having a city around us for technical support. The two providers are completely different animals. I’d recommend Frontpoint to anyone though. In fact, I’d even recommend them to Spokane. Every once in a while, you run across a country that is fulfilling their role better than well. Frontpoint was kind of a standard for a service business that is involved in technology. So to whoever is putting this together, kudos. It’s nice to see.

When we did the installation, the directions online weren’t enough such that we didn’t have to call up and get help over the phone. You try on your own because you don’t wanna be always running to the phone. But I don’t know if we could’ve gotten it done in an afternoon just using the online help. The phone help we got was perfect though, and once we got that help, the issue was resolved within ten minutes. It was made extremely simple and straightforward. Frontpoint's phone support is possibly the best phone support I’ve ever come across.

I was in the service business for 42 years and I couldn’t ask or expect for more than I got from all the contacts that I’ve had with Frontpoint. It’s just fantastic. They have intelligent people on the phone who know their stuff and they are articulate and thoughtful. They listen to what the question might actually be since a lot of us aren’t professionals from the business. We don’t know the right words and the exact right questions to use. It was nice to be able to stumble through that without feeling like I’m stupid.

We really like being able to keep track of things or set or undo the alarm system remotely. Especially during windstorms, it’s nice to be able to check the window sensors and see if a tree has banged to the house. Within a couple of weeks though, there was an upgrade in that portal to access it remotely. It was a little annoying because the upgrade seemed pointless. It probably accomplished many things from Frontpoint's point of view but from our point of view, it was kind of a pain. Their phone presence is perfect but they have a ways to go on their web service.

But for now, the system is perfect. It’s doing everything that we want it to do and no more. It seems seamless and it's not obtrusive. You don’t really have to remember how to use it when you haven’t used it for a while. That’s all I can ask of – that sort of technology that's like an appliance. You just use it. It does everything it’s supposed to do and then you don’t have to sit there, stare at some directions and try to remember what it is you were supposed to do to get it to work.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I was gonna get a new home and I was using Frontpoint to be able to secure the building during the time we were doing construction and then have something to offer the individual who would be renting the premises afterwards. I chose Frontpoint after doing research. It seemed as though I would be able to place all of the components and activate the system with the support that was available without having to schedule any installation. I received the box that contained all of the components, went through the house, installed the components and using my cellphone, was able to ensure that the components were communicating with the hub. Then I made a phone call to Frontpoint to have them activate and verify that the system was functioning properly. For the most part, the installation was fairly straightforward.

The instructions were fairly simple and the videos were really valuable. Essentially, once you've watched the video, you would have an idea of what you need to do. It was a cookbook type of going from A to B, C, D, and then let the system come online. However, there are some sensors that would require a little bit more finesse than others, depending on the type of door you have. I had to drill one into the door because the door was inset and it would not allow for any kind of adhesive attachment. But I’m a woodworker and there was no problem with that. I’ve also had a number of communications with Frontpoint and those have always been very positive and helpful.

The features are fairly good for the value that you get for the package. One of the concerns that I had initially when I purchased the package was about the touchscreen display that was being offered at the time. This touchscreen display was really what I was looking for and it sold me on the Frontpoint system because it worked pretty much like an iPad. Unfortunately, with some of the construction we had there, the pad failed to communicate with the sensors at one point and went completely dead.

When I spoke to Frontpoint, they did an evaluation but they said there was nothing that they could do. Unfortunately, they didn’t make that touchscreen display anymore. They were having some problems with it based on the battery that was being installed and some of them would overheat and melt. I was a little bit dismayed when they told me that I would have to set it back in and then get a non-touchscreen hub that would be utilized with a keypad.

So what I did was I told them I would communicate with them later. I unplugged the unit and it completely drained for 24 hours. I re-plugged with an electrical spike arrester with a filter and as soon as I did that, it worked flawlessly. It hasn’t come back up with some other problems with me ever since either. So that was a bit of a diagnostic snafu. With the construction that was being done in the home, we may have had some kind of electrical charge which created a little burn that messed with it at first.

I don’t know how Frontpoint would have known any better from a diagnostic standpoint. However, if I had gone to the non-touchscreen hub, they would have created a little bit of an issue with me because that’s not exactly the system that I wanted. If they had swapped it with a keypad and altered the subscription, I'd probably not do it. That’s how strongly I feel about the touchscreen display. On the other hand, I think that the system is hardening sufficiently to different types of electromagnetic interference that can be utilized from fusion. In other words, there is some kind of electric field on all of the other systems that you can pull into not sending an alarm. You basically send a carrier signal that tells the system that it didn’t activate and you open the door.

I also like the security of knowing that with Frontpoint, you can be in bed and if you don't remember if you locked the front door, you can pick up your cellphone and do it. That’s a little bit more secure. If you have work and you have a kid coming home, you also get a signal that the door was opened and closed. You can even see if somebody kept the window open in the basement. So the system is really well-functioning. It’s ergonomically superior than other systems I’ve seen. It’s intuitive and also expandable. I also like the idea that if any of the sensors go bad, Frontpoint would replace them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontpoint?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

A number of months ago, we purchased a security system from Frontpoint. We live in a rural location, so I was concerned about the upload speeds, since cameras were our primary objective. I was told that upload speeds of around 1.5 mbs would be required for each camera. When the equipment arrived (and before unboxing) I was advised by tech support to download a speed test and check the internet speeds. When I checked it, the upload speeds were not as required.

I then called tech support again about returning the equipment and the guy told me.."it will work with speeds that low". IT WILL NOT!! My fault for allowing this fiasco to extend beyond the 30 day trial period, so not they say "no refunds and the monitoring fees still apply for the duration of the CONTRACT". Ummm...nope. I will contact the CC company, notify of deceptive sales and cancel all future payments. I would NEVER recommend Frontpoint. Please move on to a more reputable company. Also, I boxed up all the equipment and returned it to Frontpoint. Now they tell me they never received. Should have guessed.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

I had Frontpoint for over 4 years and I did not have any issues with them during the initial set up. I had some problems with the system later on where the commands from the app will not transmit to the system as expected. Those issues were addressed by customer service and things went fairly smooth. The customer service hours were a major let down because if you have a problem activating your service from app at night and if the signals don’t transmit, customer service cannot help you right away.

My biggest issue with them came when I tried to terminate my services. I called them first to ask them if I was under contract and if there was any additional fees prior to cancelling the contract. I was told that I was not under contract and I just need to let them know before end of month to terminate the contract. After this, I proceeded with installation by another company. Then when I called Frontpoint to cancel, they tell me that I am bound by contract for another month and 20 days.

When I said that I just called few days ago, they replied that they will try to train their staff about the contract but they cannot do anything to let me terminate sooner. I found this extremely frustrating because I called them prior to switching to ensure I don’t have to end up paying 2 services simultaneously but Frontpoint did not own up to their employee’s mistake. Based on my last interaction with them, I would never go back to this company in future. It’s not a matter of money but the fact that the company will not own up to their mistake is unacceptable.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I read other reviews before writing mine, just to make sure I wasn't the only one getting ripped off by Frontpoint. Just like the other people that wrote about this. I canceled my account, went through a long process by phone and emails back and forth and finally I thought that my account was canceled, but they kept charging my account. After speaking to many representatives and three months later they are still charging my account. I had to write a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and I also had to get my Attorney involved. Good luck if you are thinking of getting a Frontpoint system/account.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

So after my main panel failed and they swapped it out. The panel they gave me failed not too long after that. I then decided to cancel. They told me I had to wait until the contract period was over. Once paying for a service I hadn't used in quite sometime, I cancelled. They sent me an email saying I wish to cancel and it was some weird 30 day notice. The fact I have to have a 30 day notice is stupid and not a very good business practice in my opinion. So now I have a service that is technically cancelled, however they are still charging me. My advice. Don't even bother with them. If I have to I will cancel my card. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

I have been with Frontpoint for so many years until recently when I cannot afford its $40 monthly service anymore. So, I tried to cancel. Guess what, it’s not easy. Cancellation department emailed me a procedure to cancel plus a note on the last payment (cancellation is not outright). I complied with the email replying my name and my intention to cancel.

One month after the last payment, Frontpoint continued to charge my credit card for a cancelled service, 2 times, for a month of service. Apparently, my account was not cancelled. On that same day, a so called customer relationship director, Mr. Chace **, emailed me about my cancellation. I replied back upset that even though I complied with the cancellation process, my account was never cancelled and worst, was charged twice. He apologized and said he will reverse the charges. But, I never trusted his words, I called my credit card provider to block Frontpoint from ever charging again showing proof that it was cancelled 2 months ago. Forward a month after, I got a bill this time for the coming month’s service. The itemized bill says one month service for $39.99 but the total is $79.98 indicating an open invoice. However, the bill is not coming from Frontpoint but from MyAlarmCenter.

I do not know and have no an accounts with MyAlarmCenter and I find no reason to deal with them. Until now, I am waiting for an explanation from Frontpoint why my info was forwarded to another company. One week has passed, Frontpoint has not communicated at all. I am left with no recourse but to file my complaints with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the Better Business Bureau so I can get assurance that account has indeed been cancelled. I would be requesting a zero invoice with a note that account is closed. Make note that if you read the Yelp review of MyAlarmCenter online, this company would not stop annoying you with bills and if you ignore to pay, you will end up in collections. It just hard to trust companies nowadays. Ba0sed on this review plus my experience, I can rate them scammers.

So this is the true Frontpoint I trusted for several years. Once you enroll, there is no way of stopping them from billing you and forget about your privacy as they will forward your information to another company if you attempt to have your credit card provider stop the payment. I will update this forum with the FTC verdict so consumers can make a wise decision before subscribing to Frontpoint’s alarm services.

Frontpoint expert review by Ben Mannes

Choose from 3 wireless security system packages for $34.99-$49.99 a month. Systems are self-installed and include 24/7 monitoring, crash and smash technology along with fire and medical protection. Contracts range from 1-3 years.

• Installation: All Frontpoint equipment is designed to be installed by the consumer, so the company doesn’t employ any installation technicians. This saves consumers a significant amount of money when getting a new system.

• Mobile access: Frontpoint's mobile apps let you access your security system, review information and control your home from anywhere you have an Internet connection via computer or smartphone.

• Cellular monitoring: The Frontpoint Control Panel communicates with the Monitoring Center via cell phone, so it's not dependent on a phone line. Even if your home phone line is cut or the system is smashed, your alarm will send out a cell alert to Frontpoint Monitoring.

• Portable: Frontpoint's 100 percent wireless sensors are easy to set up and require no hard wiring, so a Frontpoint security system can be easily moved to a new address.

• Equipment cost: With Frontpoint, you purchase your equipment outright. While your upfront cost could be a few hundred dollars once you add extra sensors, remotes and other accessories, purchasing your equipment can actually save you money in the long run. Frontpoint equipment has a three-year warranty.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
      Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Frontpoint Company Information