Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.90/5

Get matched with the best Home Security System.

Frontpoint does home security differently. By offering complete protection coupled with truly genuine and helpful service, Frontpoint gives customers everything they need and nothing they don’t. All Frontpoint customers get a personalized security solution designed to not only make them feel safe, but feel good, as well.

Every Frontpoint system comes with 100% wireless equipment and 100% cellular monitoring, for no extra charge. Cellular monitoring means a more reliable connection between the home and monitoring center, and wireless means no lines for burglars to cut. Frontpoint also works with you to ensure that every system is customized to fit every customer’s unique home and lifestyle needs. Frontpoint systems are also refreshingly simple, allowing for customers to set up, move or expand systems on their own, at any time.

In addition to intrusion, all Frontpoint monitoring plans include protection against fire, flood, freeze, carbon monoxide and medical emergencies. Also, advanced technology such as remote online access, free mobile apps keep customers in touch and in control at all times, no matter where they are. When consumers compare Frontpoint to the competition, it’s easy to see just what makes them stand out.

View More View More

Frontpoint Reviews

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Frontpoint is one of the top-rated security and their affordable that’s why I picked them. But it’s a little different when I’m dealing with it because I got stickers for the motion sensor on the walls. They sent it to me in a packet and they only sent me one sticker instead of a couple extra ones. I have a concrete wall in my basement and it’s not staying on. It’s a little frustrating because they keep falling down. I had to go out and buy something that’s a little bit more sturdy just to hold them up.

When they do a test, the equipment is always working but I hadn't really done a test where I can go downstairs and set off the sensor. It has to be 7 feet but I set it in my basement and my basement is not 7 feet high. When my wife went downstairs by accident, the motion sensor didn’t even go off. It would be nice to have a notification saying the motion sensor is not working or just a little bit more security.

Also, I get frustrated because I have to keep calling back for something. Even though it makes it more affordable, it takes up a lot of time and it just doesn’t seem like it gets resolved quickly. It can be frustrating on both ends when I can’t show to the tech where I’m at or what I’m doing. And I completely understand when they feel that way. They don’t express it, but they’re trying to ask as many questions as possible to understand where I’m at. So, something that could be resolved in 15 minutes takes like an hour because they can’t really see what I’m talking about. It’s always a miss.

One time, I had my glass break. I had to send it back twice because it fell twice and shattered. I had to do technical support with that and I had to be the one that opened it up. And that was what took so long. I had no idea what this tech was talking about when I was looking at it, the positioning. It’s not really convenient. If I wasn’t in a three-year contract, I would probably cancel because of the inconvenience. Other than that, service has been good and the features are okay. I like that it’s an app and I like that I can do it from where I’m at no matter what. But I would tell others it can be challenging at times if there’s an issue with it.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I like the Frontpoint system. I wanted to make sure that I didn't get a motion sensor and that I find out what I could do about that because I have dogs. They solved that problem by using those glass break sensors. I also got a key fob and I did the installation so it was not a problem. It was easy. I used the instructions and it was simple. But I always feel that instructions, no matter what it is, can always be more detailed and done with diagrams. I'm an educator and what I know is that you've gotta write stuff so that everybody can understand them, not just certain people. You may use the system all the time but you may also forget things that you do when you're doing it.

I also have had some issues with their keypads. This is the third keypad I've had and I'm still having an issue with it. But I've figured out what I can do to use it until I have an opportunity to call them again. I think it's cheaply made. I can put my code in and I can press on disarm then I can leave it for several hours while I'm in the house. But if I go to leave and press on the "away" button, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The weird thing is that if I take the keypad apart and put the back back on, it works again.

There was also an issue where the keypad has the batteries on it. It's like a tiny motherboard and at one point, the connection wasn't very stable. So I pushed it in and connected it better, and it worked. I thought that fixed it but it didn't. So there's something going on and the keypad can be not as cheaply put together. The middle button on the keypad is the "stay" button and I like the fact that if somebody were to break the glass or try to get in, the alarm would go off immediately as opposed to having a delay time. I do like that but with the keypad, I'm not sure that's working either. I think the whole keypad thing is messed up and can definitely be improved significantly.

I love Frontpoint's customer service though. Everybody has been very helpful and willing to do whatever. I've talked to four or five different people and in majority of the time, they've been able to help me. Otherwise, they would just send me a new keypad so that was okay. But the last person I talked with was the most helpful because she was asking questions that the other ones hadn't asked me. Then she said that she was sending the issues to their research department so it can be looked into further.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I was ready to switch to cellular because I wanted to get away from the wired system. I read a lot of online reviews saying that Frontpoint was very good at customer service. Setting up the system was very easy, although I ran into a problem with one of the items that came. There was something wrong with it and I had a hard time communicating with the person on the other end of the phone. It was just a volume thing because I have a hearing impairment and I had asked if I could speak with someone else, but they were really hesitant to switch me over to someone else. So, it was a very long, painful process to go through. Other than that, I had called them one other time and I spoke with someone else entirely, and it was fine.

I had very particular wants and I was able to get exactly what I wanted. The Frontpoint system has more features like the key fob. It is especially nice for another family member that I have living here where they are very uncomfortable with rushing in to get to the keypad in time, whereas, with the key fob, they can do it right from outside the door. The quality of the equipment is good. Being in Canada, they didn’t offer the touchpad and I had to go with an older-looking one, but it's fine. At first I was disappointed, but now, it doesn’t really matter that much. However, because of the US exchange, the monthly cost doubled for me and it is the one thing that might give me a thought that when my contract runs out, I might find some place that is less expensive on a monthly basis.

I feel better having the Frontpoint system. We had a situation with the key fob. It was dark out and it was the first time we used the key fob. At the top of the fob is the locking button and at the opposite end is the panic feature. We had the key fob upside down and we pushed the wrong button. It was set up to phone the house first, then my cellphone second. Nobody was in the house and I did not have my cellphone with me that time. The police were dispatched and they broke the door down. They believed that we were in danger and the response was quick and thorough. That was the first time that ever happened and it was reassuring.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I did some research and I looked at all the other options. Frontpoint provides a lot more equipment upfront at a much lower cost. The start-up cost is minimal and the monthly payments are pretty equitable across the board. Their technology is very good too. They made a convincing point that their system cannot be deactivated versus the competition. If you're paying this kind of money, you want a system that is fool-proof, that cannot be deactivated even if power goes out or if it is tampered with.

Frontpoint's sales team is very involved, and if and when you get their support service people on the phone, they're extremely helpful. The difficult part is that the customer service they provide in terms of hours of service is somewhat limited, and it's somewhat difficult to get someone on the line. They should really consider providing 24/7 technical support, but instead it's cut off after 10 PM or 11 PM Eastern, which is less than ideal. That's the only drawback and something that I would improve.

The installation went okay, but there should be more work involved on behalf of Frontpoint to better understand the constraints of a home and provide the right type or set of equipment the first time and get it right the first time. For example, I have the main house and then there's an in-law suite that’s about 10 feet away from the house, but it's under the lanai. A lanai or protected patio is like a framed netting that goes around the outdoor part of the house, and there's a distance from that suite that I'm trying to protect to the main panel. I explained that in the beginning but still, what they sent me was not the right type of sensor. I tried that sensor to see if it would work and when it didn’t, I had to send it back and I got charged for it, and then I had to wait for the refund. That was really annoying. Getting the right sensor took a number of trials and it became a hassle.

They should also have the ability or the option to say that if it doesn't work the first time, maybe they should try to cure it with some troubleshooting. They should probably say that they will send the technician, which is similar to what other service providers do. The features offered in the system are great but Frontpoint needs to work on making sure that what you can do on the website, can also be done on the app. Although as a whole, the app is fine, it needs to be empowered a bit more. The video limit on the camera and the doorbell is a pain. If you set it to a bit too sensitive, they could set off very quickly. Then you're gonna get the notices that you're at a max video capacity and you have to go back and delete all these videos. Maybe Frontpoint could do something to either increase video capacity or change the technology.

We have set off the alarm a couple of times and I knew about it because I receive the phone call. The only issue we have is that using the app, it wouldn't communicate with the system, like I wouldn't arm. That was a strange issue and it happened for a bit of time. They sent me another chip or another card to put into the panel, but the issue just went away in itself although I don't think I changed anything. There are minor hiccups that one can live with and Frontpoint still has got some work to do, but they're definitely a good provider.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I had a friend who was using Frontpoint and he was happy with the setup process where he just did it himself. He didn’t have to pay somebody to do it. Also, all his equipment was free and the monthly fee was well, so that was enough to sell me. He showed me the app and stuff, gave me his referral code and I went from there. When I called in, I spoke to someone and he assessed my specific situation. I wasn’t looking for a security system until I had some suspicious behavior outside of my home. He was able to get me a few pieces of free equipment that otherwise, I would’ve paid for since I brought that up. He was helpful in trying to get me the best deal I could possibly get on my equipment and the lowest rate. So, I was really pleased with working with him in the set up.

The door and window alarms were incredibly easy to set up and then, it took me a couple of months to get my cameras set up because I didn’t feel like doing it. However, once I got into it, the set up was simple. I had to call in for support because I was having issues getting the camera connected to Wi-Fi but that was more user error than anything. So far, I’m happy with the system and I don’t have any complaints. We prefer using the manual arm and disarm, rather than setting a schedule or using geosensing because I’ve had problems with it on a couple of apps. I don’t trust my GPS so, we like that. Now that we have gotten used to it, it’s simple for us and that we can do everything remotely if we need to is great as well.

After I bought my home, I had two separate companies come and harass me trying to get me to buy security systems. So, I was hesitant to even look into it and put it off after buying my home last January. The drill is, they would show up and show you how much crime is in your neighborhood. Then, they would try to get in your house to look at everything. I didn’t know who they were so I didn’t trust them. I decided I wasn’t gonna do it but the experience with Frontpoint changed my mind. It was a totally different business model that was geared more towards the consumer and not trying to strong arm people into dealing with more than they need to.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontpoint?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Frontpoint has been a horrible service for me.. This security system is supposed to keep my home and family safe. It should give me peace of mind that my household is secure. Instead I am constantly having to call front point to reset or reboot my system taking anywhere from 15 minutes to a hour.. Resetting password and cameras and apps. It's unreliable and apparently I agreed to a 3 yr contract. In which I dont recall. They refuse to cancel my service. They said I agreed over the phone but will not release the phone conversation. Do yourself a favor and pick someone else to secure your home!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

DO NOT waste your time or money. The equipment is bad, but the service is TERRIBLE. The equipment I got was broken from the beginning. (After a faulty door lock and hours lost to reinstalling, then a motion detector gone rogue, the camera they "gifted" me does NOT activate with outdoor motion and never records, and now the panel's internal battery has been dead after only 2 years). But worse is the absolutely god awful service that will leave you wanting to pull your hair out.

Recently they called me 30 times to update billing info, and as soon as they had my CC info, they DOUBLE CHARGED me. I had to waste more time to request the refund. I've now called 5 times to try to cancel the account. Every time, when I reach a verbal agreement with the agent, they follow up with an incorrect email. They tell you on the phone after hours of talking that you can get out for X amount, then the email has the wrong dates of termination, the wrong amount to finish out, AND has an extra charge that they promised they'd take care of. It's LIES, LIES, and LIES. Don't do it. You'll hate yourself.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

We've had Frontpoint for 8 years. We had some superior experiences, specifically with its internal flood sensor. It saved us thousands of dollars. Externally, their system is deficient. I had $40 exterior cameras that operated superior to Frontpoints. Frontpoint excuses have been we have a brick home, that we have other wifi units interfering with theirs (who doesn't have other wifi devices these days) and that the electrical wiring interfered with the wifi connection. In short, don't use frontpoint if you desire an external component.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

We signed up for Frontpoint in November of 2017. At first, we were happy because we were working 3hrs away and only home on the weekend. About a year into the agreement we began to experience numerous false alarms with subsequent letters from local police threatening charges for additional false alarm calls. We turned off the system and worked with Frontpoint. It took several months and numerous calls to pinpoint the issue as a bad door alarm.

Unfortunately, in process we lost our confidence in the company and simply turned off the system. The issue is we have a system we are tied to for the three full years but will not be allowed to cancel even it has not been turned on for over 6 months. My call to support yielded a long call where we were offered a $5/month but also required to extend the contract? At about $46/month, we will be wasting around $900 for ugly wall decorations. Three years is simply too long to be forced to keep a product I am so dissatisfied with.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

If you decide to cancel your service with these guys they will charge you at a minimum one extra month and more then likely, which is my experience TWO MONTHS. This is just short of $100 for a canceled and unused service. These people are shady. Do not use them. They require you pay an extra month when you cancel. Even if you are only 1 or 2 days into the month you just paid for, which was my situation. So I am getting charged for TWO MONTHS AND ALMOST $100 FOR A SERVICE I DO NOT WANT AND AM NOT USING. I paid faithfully for over 4 years for this product, you would think for such a long term run they wouldn't need to rip me off right at the end. This is a lousy company, run, don't walk away.

Protect your property with a home alarm

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home security system for you.

Frontpoint expert review by Ben Mannes

Wireless smart home security packages start at $34.99/month with no contract required. Systems are self-installed and include 24/7 monitoring, crash-and-smash technology, fire alerts and medical protection.

• DIY installation: All Frontpoint equipment is designed to be installed by the customer.

• Mobile app: Frontpoint's mobile apps let you access your security system and control your home from anywhere you have an internet connection via computer or smartphone.

• Security features: Equipment packages include control panel or base hub, keypad, two window and door sensors, motion sensor, yard sign, window decals and door stickers. Glass-break sensors, smoke and heat sensors, indoor cameras and doorbell cameras are also available. Frontpoint equipment includes a three-year warranty.

• Movable devices: Frontpoint's wireless sensors are easy to set up and require no hard wiring, meaning the system can be moved to a new address with little effort.

• Equipment cost: With Frontpoint, you purchase your equipment outright. The upfront cost could be a few hundred dollars once you add extra sensors, remotes and other accessories.

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Frontpoint Company Information