2.1/5 (64 ratings)

About Frontpoint

Frontpoint offers wireless home security packages with professional monitoring and app-based control. New customers work with Frontpoint representatives to find a personalized security solution for their home. Systems come preprogrammed and are designed for easy, do-it-yourself installation. Customers can try a Frontpoint home security system risk-free for 30 days.

Pros

• Month-to-month service available
  • Compatible with Alexa and Google Home
  • Build-your-own system option

Cons

• No professional installation option
  • No lifetime warranty on equipment

Bottom Line

Frontpoint security systems offer high-tech equipment and 24-hour professional monitoring. If you don’t mind installing it yourself, a Frontpoint alarm system could be a smart option for home protection.

Top Frontpoint Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… I’ve been with a dozen other security companies and never had such a great experience as I’ve had with Frontpoint. If you’re reading this and having second thoughts spend a litt...

Verified

Frontpoint security was super easy to install and learn how to use. The price is right too. I own a physical medicine clinic and we put up cameras in all the public places to keep...

What is Frontpoint?

Frontpoint is a home security company that offers wireless systems with integrated smart home technologies. The Frontpoint Hub and Keypad act as the system’s command center, with cellular connection to 24/7 professional monitoring. You can control a Frontpoint system using the company app, Google Home or Alexa. The company gives customers the option to choose one of its home security packages or design their own system with add-ons like cameras and sensors. Each system comes with a 30-day, risk-free trial.

Frontpoint security costs

At the time of publishing, Frontpoint security package pricing ranges from $99 to $479.90. Package options include Safe Home Starter, Safe Home Everyday, Safe Home Select and Safe Home Preferred. You can also build your own system. The company partners with Affirm to offer 0% APR financing to those who qualify. The cost for monitoring is $50 a month.

Frontpoint security packages

All Frontpoint alarm packages come with the central Hub and Keypad, at least two door and window sensors, at least one motion sensor, a set of window decals, a yard sign and door stickers.

Safe Home StarterSafe Home EverydaySafe Home SelectSafe Home Preferred

Safe Home Everyday$295.9423
Safe Home Select$383.9224
Safe Home Preferred$479.9025

Frontpoint monitoring costs

Monitoring with Frontpoint costs $50 a month. Both plans come with crash and smash protection, automated system checks, remote access and control, mobile alerts and unique user codes. The Ultimate Plan also includes motion-triggered alerts, light control, live video streaming and smart lock control.

Frontpoint security equipment

Frontpoint’s build-your-own option lets you design the right protection package for your home. You can mix and match equipment if you have more specific needs than what’s offered with Frontpoint security packages. In addition to sensors and indoor cameras, Frontpoint has a variety of popular security equipment add-ons.

frontpoint smart door lock
Smart Door Lock
  • Free cloud video storage
  • Bank-grade encryption
  • $119.99*
frontpoint wireless light control
Wireless Light Control
  • Control with system and mobile app
  • Works with lamps and small appliances
  • $39.99*
frontpoint doorbell camera
Doorbell Camera
  • Two-way audio and night vision
  • Comes with three-year warranty
  • $119.99*
frontpoint garage door tilt sensor
Garage Door Tilt Sensor
  • Built-in smart sensor
  • Sends real-time notifications
  • $19.99*

*As of publishing date.

Frontpoint Security FAQ

Do you have to install Frontpoint yourself?
Yes, you have to install Frontpoint yourself. Security equipment devices come preprogrammed to make setup and utilization easier. Each product includes instructions for installation. Frontpoint also posts videos on its website with visual directions.

Even though Frontpoint tries to make it as easy as possible, some consumers still find the installation process difficult or confusing. If you have any issues installing a system, reach out to Frontpoint customer service for guidance.

Can I use Frontpoint without monitoring?
Not really. You can’t get Frontpoint without a monitoring contract, and Frontpoint equipment only works with the monitoring app.
Does Frontpoint have outdoor cameras?
Yes, Frontpoint sells outdoor cameras for $135.99 as of the publishing date. They include nighttime vision with infrared technology.
How much does Frontpoint cost per month?
Frontpoint monitoring costs {starting_price:16354}. On the lower end, Frontpoint’s monitoring plan includes 24/7 professional monitoring, automated system checks, mobile alerts and monitoring. For a higher price, you can get features like live streaming, night vision, light and smart lock control and motion-triggered alerts.
What is Frontpoint’s return policy?
Frontpoint has a 30-day risk-free trial period. During this time, customers can install the system in their homes and try it to see if it fits their lifestyle. Within 30 days, customers can return the system using free shipping for a full refund.

Is Frontpoint security good?

Frontpoint provides a selection of prebuilt packages at price points to fit a variety of budgets. It can be a smart option for customers who don’t mind DIY system installation. You can select from packages or customize a system to make sure you have the right amount of protection for your property. The company claims its systems can save you up to 20% on homeowners insurance.

However, some dissatisfied customers described difficulty reaching Frontpoint customer service representatives. If you aren’t sure Frontpoint is right for you, compare Frontpoint vs. ADT or Simplisafe vs. Frontpoint.

Frontpoint Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontpoint?

Original review: July 12, 2021

We've been very happy with Frontpoint's service. We initially got them when we lived in Maryland back in 2016. They were very good during the installation. When we went to Hawaii, we didn't need it and they were very good about letting us out of our contract. We explained that we were retired military and we were gonna go be living on federal property. Then we came back in 2019 and went with them again ‘cause we liked the service before. I did call another company to compare but the biggest factor for me was, at the time, the other company was still pushing a landline and we haven't had a telephone line in almost 10 years. It sounded a lot more complicated and I wasn't gonna get a house landline just so I could have a security system, whereas everything with Frontpoint is cellular. Even if there's a power outage, they have a backup system.

If you have any questions, it's relatively easy to get hold of an actual person instead of a machine and a million options. I'm the kind of person that sometimes I just wanna talk to a human being when we’re having an issue and they're very responsive. If you have a sensor that isn't connecting or isn't hooked, they're very good about saying, “We're gonna send you a new one. Just return the old one.” When we travel, we know the house is secure. Also, if I'm home in the evening and there's any attempt to break in, we have notification. If there’s a smoke, the alarm goes off too.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 5, 2021

Frontpoint works very well and that's why I've kept it. We've upgraded the system with some smoke alarms. The price is very affordable and nice. The system sent off a couple of warnings that the control panel back panel had detached, and it was not attached because of the battery. The battery had swollen and did not operate efficiently. I had a couple other issues and called technical support. They said I would need a new panel. This particular guy that I talked to was not the kindest in the world. He told me it would be 358 bucks. He said, “Or you can get another battery for it. But we don't sell them.” But that doesn't help me on either term. It's an outrageous cost for the box since I've been with them for 10 years. So I hung up.

I called back a second time because I had another issue and the lady that I talked to was very nice. This is over the holiday and she said, “Can't get ahold of the business office. But if you call back and get to the business office, they can probably work with you.” So that was what I did this morning. The lady was incredibly nice. She gave the new panel to me at no cost. It was finalized today and it's supposed to be in my possession by Friday or Saturday.

Original review: June 28, 2021

Prior to getting Frontpoint, I wasn't sleeping at night because while I was out of the country, people broke in and vandalized my home. It was very scary. At the time, my son was about 15 years old and he is a high-functioning autistic. I already have issues with sleeping at night, plus I'm also a widow. So I had a whole lot of stuff going on with me and I needed something to feel safe right away. I called Frontpoint and they talked to me about their product. I liked that the equipment could be mailed to me and that I could set it up myself. I watched a lot of the tutorials that were online and I thought that that was going to be perfect for me because I could set it up.

Aside from that, I could call and ask questions while I was setting up, which was what I did when I was setting everything up. It was so easy and I have been able to sleep since then. That was in 2016 and I have not had any issues so far. I've had one or two glitches that I've had to come and fix, but other than that, I've slept better than prior to what happened. I also tell everybody about Frontpoint when it comes to security systems. Everything that I've been concerned about, I've called and talked to someone about it, and they’ve given me all kinds of solution.

Original review: June 26, 2021

I had a problem with the little devices that you stick on the doors. The sliding glass door was a problem. So, Frontpoint had to send me another one, and that got resolved. But recently, that started acting really weird. I was on the phone with someone named Christopher several days ago, and that was a rather torturous conversation. But eventually, we got the one that I have to work. Then, he finally agreed to send me a new one. Now, I have the new one here, and I can't get it to work. So, I have to call them again and get it figured out.

He couldn't answer my question. What was happening was, I'd be sitting in my living room, and all of the sudden, the patio door closed, and I wasn't even near the patio door. Our patio door opened, and I wasn't even near it. So, I said, “Do you have an explanation for that?” He said, “No.” It's only been the patio door. That's the most important door. They couldn't tell me why that was happening, which is why I called them to begin with.

Other than that, I downloaded the app, and I turn the system on and off through that. It’s very easy. Then, I have the thing on the wall where you can also activate and deactivate from the thing you stick on the wall. Overall, I don't think it's difficult to comprehend at all. I would recommend Frontpoint but one caveat to that is the customer service people need to be more experienced. The rep I dealt with had to keep putting me on hold. I could tell he was new. So, Frontpoint needs to stick with someone who's more experienced.

Original review: June 25, 2021

When I went through some issues, Frontpoint's service wasn't the smoothest operation but then they did rectify it. They sent me new equipment out if I would sign up for a year and promised to re-up my contract for a year, which was fine. Everything seems to be working great. I had an alarm go off once. The whole thing was so freaky, and it happened in the middle of the night. They didn't call and I was blaming them. It could have been me. But for the most part, my experience has been positive. They do respond. The other day, I tested my smoke alarm. They responded right away because I had to replace some battery.

I wish that they would have notified me that the closest panel was no longer being manufactured. When I ended up having a battery that was fat in the back of my alarm panel, that was what set my alarm off. The battery had swelled up so bad. I'm surprised I didn't have a fire, and that was what concerned me. I had called them because I was having a hard time finding a battery. I didn't want to replace the battery. It was the second time I replaced it. When I went to replace it, I said, “I'm concerned that this is going to happen again.” The guy I was talking to said, “Oh, we don't manufacture them anymore. But we can give you the new equipment.” I would have rather had somebody notify me early on that the batteries start exploding on you. But for the most part, it's not been the worst experience in the world.

Original review: May 9, 2022

Company advertised that there is a 30 day cancellation policy. This is misleading because if you cancel after you are charged for the month, you owe an additional month. I cancelled my agreement on December 3rd so ended up paying for that full month (28 days) and the next month (31 days). So glad that I switched to the #1 home security provider that has a cheaper monthly rate and more advanced equipment.

Original review: April 25, 2022

I have been trying for months to cancel my service. Each time you call it takes them 2 days to call back and they do it at 10pm. When you are available for the call back they say they will send you an email to cancel but never actually send the email. I am going on 2 months trying to cancel without success. Will work with cc company to stop payments and request refund. I have never spent so many hours/days/weeks attempting to cancel any other type of service in my life.

Original review: April 18, 2022

I used the first Frontpoint security system for about two years. It worked okay in three apartments during that time. Then, I moved to a place where the door frame didn’t line up exactly right. Frontpoint is a self service system, so be aware that if you can’t figure out how to get the equipment to work, you’ve signed a contract you can’t get out of without paying termination fees on. I waited on hold for “extended wait times,” as Frontpoint “responded to COVID-19.” I basically memorized their hold recording. (They are still “responding to COVID-19” in mid-2022, apparently not wanting to hire sufficient staff to answer all their phone calls of customers needing help).

In any case, I never got the system to work and had upgraded it to the newest model. When I finally got through, the answer was for me to use extra adhesive to try to stick the sensors to the wall in light of the placement of the door frame. Needless to say, it wouldn’t stick on or stay on. Wasted money on both the new system and also the contract since now I have equipment that doesn’t work here.

On top of that, I had false alarms going off early in the morning, (due to not getting the sensors properly placed) disturbing the nearby apartment building neighbors before I got the insight that I needed the extra adhesive on the sensor. It was so loud that I never wanted to turn it back on again, but having paid the money on it, had decided to try. I couldn’t get the alarm to turn off following the directions. Frontpoint said sometimes if you try over and over, it won’t work to turn it off. Luckily, they answer the phone for help with false alarms. I’m currently on hold for 45 minutes and waited more than an hour on hold last week before giving up. I’m trying to get the account straight since I had suspended it for three months, unable to use it. I would not recommend this company unless you are confident the equipment matches your setup at home and you don’t mind false alarms and setting it up yourself.

Original review: April 18, 2022

Buyer Beware!! This is one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. They were fine in the beginning but when things go wrong they are awful and when you try to cancel it gets even worse. We have had constant problems with either monitoring or their equipment. If you complain about the monitoring they tell you they contract that out and it isn't their fault. They called me once about an alarm and asked for one of the phone numbers on the account for verification, I gave them four numbers including the one they called me on and they told me that none of them are right. I got charged $50 for that.

The equipment is constantly malfunctioning and again, if you call them, they tell you you will need to fix it yourself or they will send out a part that you have to pay for. I get multiple emails daily telling me that this window or that door show a tamper when I am the only person here or we are all sitting watching TV. I have 100s of emails detailing all the problems.

I signed up with a better company and called Frontpoint to cancel. They would not cancel over the phone and told me I had to create a login and password for my account to cancel. I did that and tried to cancel but they would not cancel my account unless I entered a credit card and paid them an additional month. This is why they won't do it over the phone for you. They kept referencing a contract, but I do not have a contract with them and am on a month to month basis. I just paid them 14 days ago, so they are already getting an extra 2 weeks from me. I refuse to pay them 60 days for a service I don't have and don't want and am under no legal obligation to provide. I have filed a BBB complaint against them.

Original review: March 31, 2022

So far, so good. There were a few minor glitches but nothing that hasn't been corrected. There were some of the sensors that were not working correctly initially but that was taken care of over the phone. They were very helpful.

Frontpoint Company Information