Formerly SAFE Security Systems

1.2/5 (108 ratings)

Find Home Alarm and Security Systems partners near you

About A3 Smart Home

A3 Smart Home, formerly known as SAFE Security Systems, is an all-in-one home security, automation system and monitoring provider. The company’s services work with most major security systems, and it offers identity theft protection and service plans.

Find Home Alarm and Security Systems partners near you

Pros

• Works with third-party systems
    • Extra services available
    • Home automation available

Cons

• No online orders
    • Limited price transparency

Bottom Line

A3 Smart Home offers a range of security services. However, its website doesn’t include pricing, so you’ll need to schedule a consultation for an accurate cost quote.

Top A3 Smart Home Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My elderly grandmother, unknowingly signed a 60 month contract with Safe Security. [The representative] was very courteous, helpful and provided me with the documentation I reques...

Verified

I have had Safe for over 6 years and I recently moved and tried to cancel my service and have had the worst customer service experience ever! All of the 3 reps I have spoken to ha...

What is A3 Smart Home?

A3 Smart Home is a home security company that offers whole-home automation and protection. Its plans include a broad selection of features, from video surveillance to environmental monitoring that detects floods and other hazards.

Unlike other brands, A3 Smart Home security systems work with almost any hardware from other providers. This company is best suited for consumers looking for complete home monitoring, especially those who already own security equipment from other brands.

A3 Smart Home security solutions

A3 Smart Home security is a complete home solution that protects your family and your property.

• Residential security: A3 Home security monitoring protects your home from intruders, fire, carbon monoxide leaks and floods. This service utilizes video surveillance, smoke detectors, a variety of sensors and a local monitoring center to ensure help is just an alert away. Monitoring plans start at $24.99 per month.
    • Home automation: A3 Smart Home’s automation platform allows you to control Wi-Fi-capable devices in your home from an app. The cost of this system depends on the equipment you purchase, including smart bulbs, outlets, thermostats and other devices. Contact A3 Smart Home for a free consultation.
    • SafeID: This service offers identity and credit monitoring to protect your digital identity on the web. SafeID detects if strangers are misusing your personal information online and alerts you to potential security concerns. Contact A3 Smart Home for customized pricing information for SafeID.
    • Extended service plan: The extended service plan starts at $47.95 a month and covers all labor charges for your security system as well as replacement parts as your devices age.

A3 Smart Home prices

A3 Smart Home security monitoring starts at $24.99 per month, but prospective customers must request a consultation for customized pricing.

If you have equipment from another home security company, it’s likely compatible with A3 Smart Home’s monitoring services. You can also take advantage of other services, including home automation and SafeID.

A3 Smart Home Security FAQ

Do you have to install A3 Smart Home’s security systems yourself?
    No, installation instructions vary depending on the make and model of the alarm system. The average DIYer can install some models, but if you’re unsure or you don’t want to, contact A3 Smart Home customer service to request a technician. There may be an additional charge for this service.
    Can I use A3 Smart Home without monitoring?
    No, A3 Smart Home is primarily a monitoring service.
    Does A3 Smart Home have outdoor cameras?
    While A3 Smart Home does not offer its own brand of outdoor cameras, its services are compatible with most security cameras on the market. Contact A3 Smart Home’s customer support to find out if it can monitor your existing cameras or if there are any brands it recommends.
    Does A3 Smart Home call the police?
    If your alarm system triggers or if you manually request help, A3 Smart Home calls the police. Its professional monitoring center can also summon the fire department or medical assistance.

Is A3 Smart Home a good security system?

A3 Smart Home could be the right security system for people who already own alarm equipment and those who want whole-home monitoring services. Its services are compatible with most major home security systems. The company offers competitive products at a reasonable price and has additional home automation and identity theft services available.

A3 Smart Home Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about A3 Smart Home?

Original review: March 17, 2022

I called to cancel service recently after being a loyal customer over 12 years. I stated I planned on installing self-monitoring equipment and was told they could install equipment and I could self-monitor after paying off equipment. I called nine weeks after installment to pay off equipment and end monitoring service and was told I cannot self-monitor without paying monitoring fee. As requested they removed equipment; however, they did significant damage to my property and refused to repair damage. They also refused to replace the keypad that came with my home and was in working order when I purchased my home. I strongly do not recommend this monitoring company. The customer service has significantly declined since my initial start with this company.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

Billing has not been correct regarding Remaining Equipment Balance (initial equipment cost amortized over 36 months per the signed agreement) for over 13 months. Customer service has not been able to make any corrections and says billing department is responsible. However I am not allowed to communicate directly with billing department, so the merry-go-round continues.

The amounts billed monthly (and paid through my credit card via AutoPay) were correct until December 2021 for which no invoice was generated by A3. The January invoice amount was correct, but the amount charged to my credit card was $18.18 less than the invoice. The Remaining Equipment Balance, which should be reduced by each month's payment (per the signed agreement) actually increased by $367. No explanations --- No communications --- No payment by me since I cancelled the AutoPay feature. I sincerely hope they cancel the agreement for nonperformance on their part and I will get another security company that values their customers.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

I received a message from A3 to say I needed to update my system because our system is working off of a 3G signal and companies are shutting down those towers. I agreed to update and for them to send the equipment needed. 4 months later I received another notice about the same thing. I called them to inform them that I had not received my equipment yet and to send it once more. By now it is in February and the service was going to expire on the 22nd of February. I was informed the equipment will be sent overnight and I should be o.k.. That very same day (4 hours later) they called back to inform me that they do not have the equipment or a tech to complete the revision and decided to cancel my service. Without any any options. Now I don't have security and need to install new equipment with a new company.

So much for 27 years of payment that was never used or needed. I also just received an email stating that I chose to cancel my service. A3 discontinued my service. I didn't cancel. I am not happy with this result and asked them to give me options which they gave me none. Thanks A3/Safe security. I hate companies that don't provide required service for what you pay for and expect. This is disrespectful.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

OMG-Had our current router fail and installed a new one-Was able to fix panel with new router but unable to get camera to reset to the router-The folks recommended that I get up on a ladder and reset camera-I am 80+ years old-live in the country and no longer can climb a ladder--Asking for help here-Looks like they will only respond if I want them to come and get equipment-These folks do not have a clue of what is going on in the real world-Should be sooo easy to reset the camera without getting a ladder truck out to our house?? Been an AAA customer since the 50's-We are at our wits' end!!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Had the smoke alarm moved to a different location last week, because the first time it happened. I was taking a shower,, and it went off. I fell on the floor trying to turn off the system on my phone and I end up bruising my right arm, and my buttocks. The system is sensitive and it doesn’t know the difference between steam and smoke. And AAA told me, the system recognizes it as heat, and I was fine with that. So they did a courtesy to check it out and moved it far away from the kitchen and bathroom. And I was told by the technician it’s not going to go off. It suddenly went off about 4 times today, while I’m watching television in the living room. And it's raining outside, and cold, and all of the windows are open, and I’m not even cooking.

When I cook, I have the blower, the windows and door open. Luckily I had my phone next to me to turn it off. AAA called, and explained to her the situation. She said she was going to turn it off, but it went off again about 2 times, then I went to get a chair, to pull the whole thing down, and even removed the batteries. I even took down the one I had originally. I called them again to stop the fire department from coming, because there’s no fire. I can hear the fire engine, and I went outside. My neighbors are looking at me, to see what’s going on. I told AAA what a lousy system, and that I’m going to cancel. Luckily I was home when it happened.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

Contract with updated equip date 4/2019. It is clear that Safeguard was high value company now purchased by A3 (aka AAA Security) is becoming typical large corporation of sales not services. 9/2/20 keypad message and beep: I called them, they said no issue found, I said the abbreviated code looks like not signal. 9/9/20 keypad beeping at 2 AM. I called them during the day and after 1.22 hour call to them they said the equip can not accept radio signal. I would need to pay to update. REMINDER security signal failed and I did not get a call, I had to call them. This did not make me feel secure! I was walked thought how to disconnect the backup battery to stop the keypad signal beep saying no signal!

9/11/20 proposal was sent with for new equip, very expansive. I called and said, "No thanks." They offered a discount, I said, "No thank," as it was clear that the monitoring did not know we were offline, I had to discover that and call in and it took 1.22 hours to determine the issue. Not leaving me feel secure. 9/21/20 Sales email: Has anyone gotten back to you since the retention department reached out to me to offer you a free installation and 50% off the 2 keypads. This will dramatically reduce the monthly price down closed to $44.00 per month approx. 9/22/20 customer experience called me to ask if support/services called me. Answer was no. Since then I have asked to stop the contract 4 other calls were made and I was told it would take up to two weeks for a customer retention person to call be about that!

10/16 I was told that the a refund for the last quarter bill would be refunded. I asked that they I have some sort of written confirmation that the contract is ended and will they collect the equip or say it is not wanted per 2.5 of their contract. I am worried they will activate the billing /contact again. It is very clear that the company is very disjointed. 10/19/20 received the first automated call saying radio signal not found. 10/21/20 a very junior salesperson called say; did you know as a A3 customer you qualify for updated... I stopped her and said I have fired A3 for failure to deliver monitoring and equip that failed without warning.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

A3 took over Safe Security, our original alarm company. We took out the alarm for our elderly mother and sister. Mom died, sister moved and, because of covid, we could not arrange a closing date giving A3 30 days notice. The rep told us if the new person, who wanted to keep the alarm, took over the account we would not have to pay for an additional 30 days. We gave the new owner all of the information but A3 talked him into taking out a new account telling him 'they could not find the account he was talking about'. Thereby ensuring they would be paid twice for a residence that had one alarm. How we know is the salesman called us, in error, looking for the old equipment but had the new owner's name! We had to pay so our credit rating would not be affected. NOT ETHICAL.

Original review: May 5, 2020

Cross-out the automatic renewal clause in the signature block before signing the contract. I was under the assumption that I was a free agent after first year. When A3 increased my monthly dues after the end of my contract, I took my time in canceling or renegotiating my contract. Now, I cannot cancel the contract that I didn’t know I had, unless I pay the full contract term!

Original review: March 21, 2020

I give it a 1 star only because I cannot give it zero star. I have tried to have a service that I did not request removed from my bill for over 3 months. I request the removal and was told that I have to give 30 days notice, which I did, but I am still being billed for the service (SF SAFEid Individual Plan). Their customer service team are a bunch of lying arrogant individuals. I was a customer for this company for over 12 years and I am cancelling their service. Don't ever do business with this company.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I have sent certified letters, made numerous phone calls and contacted the BBB regarding this company. I have had the account since 2007 and when I try to cancel I am told I’m under contract and will have to pay out the contract in order to cancel or notify them 30 days prior to the contract expiration date. I have no idea when the contract date is since I didn’t even realize I’m under a contract. It has been a nightmare dealing with this company!

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Home Security partner.

A3 Smart Home author review by Kathryn Parkman

A3 Smart Home's residential security plan pricing starts at $24.99 per month. Packages start at $17 per month. Optimize your system for an additional $7.95 a month. A residential extended service agreement covers equipment replacements and repairs.

by Kathryn Parkman ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kathryn Parkman believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase, which is why she spends hours researching companies and industries for ConsumerAffairs. She believes conscious consumption is everyone's responsibility and that all content deserves integrity.

A3 Smart Home Company Information