Formerly SAFE Security Systems

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.22/5

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Home Security partner.

A3 Smart Home, formerly known as SAFE Security Systems, is an all-in-one home security, automation system and monitoring provider. The company’s services work with most major security systems, and it offers identity theft protection and service plans.

BOTTOM LINE

A3 Smart Home offers a range of security services. However, its website doesn’t include pricing, so you’ll need to schedule a consultation for an accurate cost quote.

PROS
    • Works with third-party systems
    • Extra services available
    • Home automation available
    CONS
    • No online orders
    • Limited price transparency

Top A3 Smart Home Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about A3 Smart Home?

My elderly grandmother, unknowingly signed a 60 month contract with Safe Security. [The representative] was very courteous, helpful and provided me with the documentation I requested. After I explained to him our particular situation, he was very kind and agreed to cancel her contract.

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

What is A3 Smart Home?

A3 Smart Home is a home security company that offers whole-home automation and protection. Its plans include a broad selection of features, from video surveillance to environmental monitoring that detects floods and other hazards.

Unlike other brands, A3 Smart Home security systems work with almost any hardware from other providers. This company is best suited for consumers looking for complete home monitoring, especially those who already own security equipment from other brands.

A3 Smart Home security solutions

A3 Smart Home security is a complete home solution that protects your family and your property.

• Residential security: A3 Home security monitoring protects your home from intruders, fire, carbon monoxide leaks and floods. This service utilizes video surveillance, smoke detectors, a variety of sensors and a local monitoring center to ensure help is just an alert away. Monitoring plans start at $24.99 per month.
      • Home automation: A3 Smart Home’s automation platform allows you to control Wi-Fi-capable devices in your home from an app. The cost of this system depends on the equipment you purchase, including smart bulbs, outlets, thermostats and other devices. Contact A3 Smart Home for a free consultation.
      • SafeID: This service offers identity and credit monitoring to protect your digital identity on the web. SafeID detects if strangers are misusing your personal information online and alerts you to potential security concerns. Contact A3 Smart Home for customized pricing information for SafeID.
      • Extended service plan: The extended service plan starts at $47.95 a month and covers all labor charges for your security system as well as replacement parts as your devices age.

A3 Smart Home prices

A3 Smart Home security monitoring starts at $24.99 per month, but prospective customers must request a consultation for customized pricing.

If you have equipment from another home security company, it’s likely compatible with A3 Smart Home’s monitoring services. You can also take advantage of other services, including home automation and SafeID.

A3 Smart Home Security FAQ

Do you have to install A3 Smart Home’s security systems yourself?
      No, installation instructions vary depending on the make and model of the alarm system. The average DIYer can install some models, but if you’re unsure or you don’t want to, contact A3 Smart Home customer service to request a technician. There may be an additional charge for this service.
      Can I use A3 Smart Home without monitoring?
      No, A3 Smart Home is primarily a monitoring service.
      Does A3 Smart Home have outdoor cameras?
      While A3 Smart Home does not offer its own brand of outdoor cameras, its services are compatible with most security cameras on the market. Contact A3 Smart Home’s customer support to find out if it can monitor your existing cameras or if there are any brands it recommends.
      Does A3 Smart Home call the police?
      If your alarm system triggers or if you manually request help, A3 Smart Home calls the police. Its professional monitoring center can also summon the fire department or medical assistance.

Is A3 Smart Home a good security system?

A3 Smart Home could be the right security system for people who already own alarm equipment and those who want whole-home monitoring services. Its services are compatible with most major home security systems. The company offers competitive products at a reasonable price and has additional home automation and identity theft services available.

A3 Smart Home Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about A3 Smart Home?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Had the smoke alarm moved to a different location last week, because the first time it happened. I was taking a shower,, and it went off. I fell on the floor trying to turn off the system on my phone and I end up bruising my right arm, and my buttocks. The system is sensitive and it doesn’t know the difference between steam and smoke. And AAA told me, the system recognizes it as heat, and I was fine with that. So they did a courtesy to check it out and moved it far away from the kitchen and bathroom. And I was told by the technician it’s not going to go off. It suddenly went off about 4 times today, while I’m watching television in the living room. And it's raining outside, and cold, and all of the windows are open, and I’m not even cooking.

When I cook, I have the blower, the windows and door open. Luckily I had my phone next to me to turn it off. AAA called, and explained to her the situation. She said she was going to turn it off, but it went off again about 2 times, then I went to get a chair, to pull the whole thing down, and even removed the batteries. I even took down the one I had originally. I called them again to stop the fire department from coming, because there’s no fire. I can hear the fire engine, and I went outside. My neighbors are looking at me, to see what’s going on. I told AAA what a lousy system, and that I’m going to cancel. Luckily I was home when it happened.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

Contract with updated equip date 4/2019. It is clear that Safeguard was high value company now purchased by A3 (aka AAA Security) is becoming typical large corporation of sales not services. 9/2/20 keypad message and beep: I called them, they said no issue found, I said the abbreviated code looks like not signal. 9/9/20 keypad beeping at 2 AM. I called them during the day and after 1.22 hour call to them they said the equip can not accept radio signal. I would need to pay to update. REMINDER security signal failed and I did not get a call, I had to call them. This did not make me feel secure! I was walked thought how to disconnect the backup battery to stop the keypad signal beep saying no signal!

9/11/20 proposal was sent with for new equip, very expansive. I called and said, "No thanks." They offered a discount, I said, "No thank," as it was clear that the monitoring did not know we were offline, I had to discover that and call in and it took 1.22 hours to determine the issue. Not leaving me feel secure. 9/21/20 Sales email: Has anyone gotten back to you since the retention department reached out to me to offer you a free installation and 50% off the 2 keypads. This will dramatically reduce the monthly price down closed to $44.00 per month approx. 9/22/20 customer experience called me to ask if support/services called me. Answer was no. Since then I have asked to stop the contract 4 other calls were made and I was told it would take up to two weeks for a customer retention person to call be about that!

10/16 I was told that the a refund for the last quarter bill would be refunded. I asked that they I have some sort of written confirmation that the contract is ended and will they collect the equip or say it is not wanted per 2.5 of their contract. I am worried they will activate the billing /contact again. It is very clear that the company is very disjointed. 10/19/20 received the first automated call saying radio signal not found. 10/21/20 a very junior salesperson called say; did you know as a A3 customer you qualify for updated... I stopped her and said I have fired A3 for failure to deliver monitoring and equip that failed without warning.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

A3 took over Safe Security, our original alarm company. We took out the alarm for our elderly mother and sister. Mom died, sister moved and, because of covid, we could not arrange a closing date giving A3 30 days notice. The rep told us if the new person, who wanted to keep the alarm, took over the account we would not have to pay for an additional 30 days. We gave the new owner all of the information but A3 talked him into taking out a new account telling him 'they could not find the account he was talking about'. Thereby ensuring they would be paid twice for a residence that had one alarm. How we know is the salesman called us, in error, looking for the old equipment but had the new owner's name! We had to pay so our credit rating would not be affected. NOT ETHICAL.

Original review: March 21, 2020

I give it a 1 star only because I cannot give it zero star. I have tried to have a service that I did not request removed from my bill for over 3 months. I request the removal and was told that I have to give 30 days notice, which I did, but I am still being billed for the service (SF SAFEid Individual Plan). Their customer service team are a bunch of lying arrogant individuals. I was a customer for this company for over 12 years and I am cancelling their service. Don't ever do business with this company.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I have sent certified letters, made numerous phone calls and contacted the BBB regarding this company. I have had the account since 2007 and when I try to cancel I am told I’m under contract and will have to pay out the contract in order to cancel or notify them 30 days prior to the contract expiration date. I have no idea when the contract date is since I didn’t even realize I’m under a contract. It has been a nightmare dealing with this company!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I have had service with this company for over 10 years; however, they changed hands in that time frame and didn't inform me that my contract renews automatically every year. I thought I was on a month to month. When I tried to cancel today, because I figured out they are way more expensive than other alarm companies, they informed me my contract just renewed 2 months ago and I had to pay the full balance for the next 10 months in order for them to cancel. I told them no way was I going to and they said fine, they'll send it to collections. I told them, "Go ahead", and then I had to go to my bank to have them do a stop pay on the automatic payment that comes out from Safe Security. The stop pay is good for 18 months.

You would think someone who has used their service for over a decade would give me a break, especially since the alarm company changed hands and they didn't inform me of the 1 year automatic renewal. She said it's in my original contract, but what contract is she talking about? Because they didn't have me sign anything when they took over. This company is bogus.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Representative came to home and said they were upgrading ADT Alarms, which I had. Said they monitored for ADT. This was 2 weeks after my husband died unexpectedly and I was still trying to figure out bills and contracts. I approved it for 2 years, turned out to be 3 and was assured if I moved as planned and they couldn't service, contract would be cancelled. Moved to Lake Havasu City, AZ and they have no monitoring available. Service to set up unit in my home would come from Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV or Palm Springs, CA and I would have to pay round trip travel time; 6 to 9 hours.

They have held me to payments for full 3 years without having service for last year and a half. If I didn't pay; I would be sued for the amount and all legal costs to get their money. Rude nasty people to deal with! I was told they were not responsible for what Representative's tell people. In this last bill, got a notice that AAA Smart Home has acquired Safe Security and gave them glowing recommendation. I can't believe AAA would hook up with a company that is as dishonest as this one is!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

What is the point of an alarm system if they won't update addresses, phone numbers, contact information. I attempted to correct the address several times and it was never completed. I terminated service but because of their ridiculous contract terms ended up "owing" for additional months for which no service was provided. Safe Security is hands down one of the worst companies I have ever done business with. I feel safer with no alarm system than with theirs.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I have had Safe for over 6 years and I recently moved and tried to cancel my service and have had the worst customer service experience ever! All of the 3 reps I have spoken to have been very rude, and refuse to transfer me their customer service department! Also they keep telling me there is not a supervisor available, 3 days straight, and they will call back, but they never do! STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

At the time my 85 year old Mother thought she signed a two year deal. She didn't receive any paperwork from the Salesman who came to the house. After two years and now 87, she moved in with me "her son". Safe Security claims the 85 year old widow signed a 5 year deal. The paperwork reflects 5 years but my Mother thought she signed "on the computer" a 2 year deal. They refuse to respond to our Attorney letters and continue to bill monthly. This POS is the biggest SCAM company and would steer clear. Read and heed.

A3 Smart Home author review by Ben Mannes

A3 Smart Home's residential security plan pricing starts at $24.99 per month. Equipment packages start at $17 per month. Optimize your system for an additional $7.95 a month. A residential extended service agreement covers equipment replacements and repairs.

• Security equipment: Standard security plans come with a keypad, portable panic button, video surveillance cameras and intrusion detection.

• Security features: Control your home security system, lights, thermostat, door locks and other devices with home automation features through your phone

• Monitoring services: Get 24/7 monitoring for home intrusion, fire, flooding and carbon monoxide.

• Installation: Professional and DIY installation options are available.

• Trial period: A3 Smart Home does not offer a free trial period.

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

A3 Smart Home Company Information