1.25/5

Need a home alarm?

Need a home alarm?

95 SAFE Security Systems Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

After getting rid of my landline, I had a wireless system installed, for which I had to pay $179. I had been with this company since my previous monitoring company sold to them. Even though I had long fulfilled the original 3-year contract, I had to sign another 3-year contract for the upgrade. The system goes out whenever there's a power outage - but there's no notification from Safe. After a 2-week vacation, I came home to find no alarm. I contacted Safe and they said all I had to do was reset it. How can I reset it when I'm not home and don't know it's gone out??? I have to wait an average of 30 minutes to get through to a customer representative.

I checked out their SafeID identity protection, with no idea that they would automatically add it to my bill after 30 days. When I got that first bill, I immediately cancelled it and got a verification letter that it would stop immediately. This month I got another bill for that extra $10. I sent them an email with a copy of the letter they sent me, then I cancelled my autopay so they won't automatically deduct that amount. If this company were legitimate, they wouldn't have to resort to sneaky tactics to get your money. My monitoring service is a waste of money since I can't rely on it actually functioning. Their customer service stinks.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Beware of this company - read the fine print. After being a loyal customer for 12 years I was told in order to cancel my services, as we are moving and sold the home with the security system, we would need to pay $343 due to the "fine print" of our original agreement (signed 12 years ago) that states our contract renews yearly. In 12 years we have NEVER received a renewal notification as is the business practice of other reputable companies.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

This has to be the most pathetic company I have ever done business with. They never respond to e-mails and the phone call takes forever on HOLD then someone with NO brain cells will just put you off to the next clueless one. I have had Safe for maybe 6 years. Every time maintenance was required, the company sent me the part in the mail & I installed it. They said I live in an area with No maintenance coverage. So I did THEIR job a few times. Then in May 2018 I was in Southern Florida (about 1100 Miles) from my home and I just had a funny feeling in my stomach so I called and was told by the monitoring company that there was no signal going to the panel. They said I needed a GSM radio upgrade. The 2GB connectivity was not communicating. SAFE never advised me of any such issues & who knows how long I have been paying for the monitoring services WITHOUT the monitoring.

I mean what are they monitoring? Didn't any signals appear on their panel that mine were not communicating? I am DEAF & I NEED the services. The services have been horrible due to LACK of communication & concern. I wrote an e-mail Nov 19 to cancel services and as of Dec 3, 2018 I still have not had a reply so today I called to cancel & their reply was they would have to get cancellation dept to return my call. WHAT? I'm DEAF & cannot hear on the phone without my equipment hooked up so I NEED an idea of a time frame. They cannot even give a time frame. It is a damn disgrace that any company with these work ethics can be in business.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I purchased a new home security system about 4 months ago. Several areas of the house are not properly covered by the security sensors. Despite repeated calls and Emails they will not rectify the problem. They don't respond, lie about sending a service tech and basically don't care. Buyer beware, DO NOT UTILIZE THIS COMPANY. I truly believe this is a scam.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I had been with my original home security company for 15 years and they sold to SAFE. Since my home had an older system I was interested in upgrading my system. They sent a third party contractor out which never followed up concerning our visit and then I was charged $105.00 for the contractor. After repeated attempts over 4 months the $105.00 was taken off of my bill. In October 2018 I changed my phone carrier which was connected to my alarm system. Apparently my phone line was not wireless thus not compatible with the current security system that I had although I was not aware of it. I called SAFE multiple times about the fact that they were not calling me after false alarms were going off. They then said they would test the system and we attempted to and we were disconnected. No one bothered to call me back to continue.

This past month I called again after they told me that I was connected but it just takes a few minutes to call and that I had apparently cut my alarm off on my own before they could call me. A test was done recently and it was determined on January 24 that I did in fact have no connection even though I have been paying for it. I recently called to cancel my service after being told that info. They told me that my contract was until January 2020 and that I was financially obligated to pay until that time or I could not be cancelled. Last fall I was told that a 60 to 90 day notice would suffice, whatever that meant.

I was told today that their policy changed as of November 1, 2018. They would work with me by giving me a 50% discount off of what I owed them. They are based in California so do NOT expect anyone to work with you or be sympathetic to the bull crap policies that they are trying to pull on their customers. I was automatically sent to this company via my previous company. So it looks like I will be paying for service I NEVER received just to be done with them. WORST experience ever!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SAFE Security Systems?

Original review: March 14, 2019

I began to have problems with my smoke detector in September 2015. New smoke detector sent in December. Again began to have problems. SAFE sent a technician who change the batteries that I had just installed. Problems again. Next technician could not find a problem and said to monitor. Smoke detector began to have problems. Multiple email requests produced no results. Finally, I wrote and told them I no longer wanted their security. Then, I received a call from a rep who wanted to get my system fixed. I told her, "No Thanks, your company is not getting my business".

On October 7, 2016, I contacted Customer Service and repeated my requested. The rep said all I needed to do is pay one more month's bill and we will cancel. Done. On March 13, 2019, I received a notice form Hillcrest Davidson and Associates dated February 22, 2019 that I had 30 days from the date of the letter to pay $515.00. First, why did SAFE Security wait 29 months to decide I need to pay? Second, why did the letter take 19 days to get from Hillcrest Davidson to me? Lastly, why didn't SAFE Security contact me before sending this to a collection agency? I am filing a complaint with the Maryland State Attorney General's Office against both companies. I wrote to both and told them they have 72 hours to fix this. I am not paying for shoddy business practices.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Been with this company for many, many years. My system broke down and I email them two times to send someone to checkout system but never received a email back or had a tech come out. Monthly charge just kept going up so I decided to cancel my account. Ten years earlier I had to change my phone to a VOIP system and they came out to install a wireless system to keep my business. They changed my contract so I had to commit to them for two or three more years before I could cancel.

When I canceled they told me I had to cancel on a certain month which I didn't know. I had 8 months to go before that month. Even though I was with them so many years they would not waive that fee and just gave me a small discount which was still a outrageous amount. Please stay away from this company and if you do use them read your contract very carefully as they will not inform you about their little money schemes. I see I'm not the only one with a bad experience with this company.

Our Pick
      ConsumerAffairs RecommendedProtect America
      Original review: May 21, 2019

Someone showed up to our door and said they needed to Update our ADT system. Turns out the guy switched our whole system and didn't say he was from Safe Security!!!! Everyone I have to spoke to on the phone has been "polite" and seemingly helpful BUT they assured me they would refund my cancellation fee to ADT and apologized for the false representation. It would be a complete hassle to change everything out again and since they offered to pay the cancellation fee we just left it! Well...here it is a couple months later and still no refund check and everytime I call they say someone will get back to me and they never do!!!! I'm so mad now and am going to file every complaint against them I can!!!

Original review: June 6, 2019

We moved in 2013 and chose to keep the existing security system, but somehow got switched to Safe Security with a three year contract that they wouldn't let us cancel even though we moved a year later. I made multiple phone calls pleading with them to avoid wasting nearly $50 a month, and they refused, even threatened to sue if we didn't continue the contract. When I was finally able to cancel today, the rep told me they wouldn't make any money if they allowed people to cancel their contracts for any reason. They don't deserve your business for any reason.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

This company should be put on the chopping block and smash because first of all, it was sold out to another company and I wasn't notified. 2nd I never sign up for a 3 yr contract when it was first put in my home. I was told it was a month to month deal and I could cancel anytime I want and that wasn't the deal. 3rd when it was sold out to another bogus company that its employees are rude and liars. They seem like it is being ran from home based not a business; I haven't got my refund back yet from being charge when I called and went through an hassles to cancel the contract.

I asked, "why can't you put the refund back into my acct. the same way you all took it out." I was told they are not allowed to have my acct information. So how did you get the payment if you didn't already have my acct information. Come on stop with the foolishness. I wish there was a way to do a investigation on this company to see if they are legal. I really don't think they are because it seems so out of place that you can't refund my money back into my acct the same way you took it out.

SAFE Security Systems Company Information