1.25/5
Based on 75 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a home alarm?

79 SAFE Security Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 20, 2018

We are still paying with auto deductions through bank for a security system that we do not have. May 2015 we agreed to the install and I was under the impression from the agent who talked us into the system that we could cancel at any time if we did not like it. WRONG! The contract was for 60 months! We sold our house where it was installed November 2016 and according to my wife who handles the payment the company rep told her it is a 5 year contract. So unless the new owners of the house took over the contract at our old house that has the equipment installed in we are paying for a system that we do not have. How can this be so? Why were we not advised instead of paying for an alarm we no longer had that the system could be transferred to our present house seeing that we have to pay for the 5 years?

After a discussion with SAFE rep, it was found that they cannot relocate the equipment to our new house as they have no techs/support in our area. Wonderful (I thought) a good way to get out of 2 more years paying for no system... WRONG... The rep said the contract was valid only for the location it was originally installed at!!! This is after we have been in our new house over 18 months and still paying for equipment at our previous house. The new owners of our previous house would not take over the contract and we are still stuck paying for equipment we do not have and cannot be relocated due to the area we are now in.

What the heck are we supposed to do now? I mean this company really really is bad when it comes to working with customers. I did find a clause that I will list below though. Can someone tell me if this is a valid reason to not pay for 2 years of monitoring? (From contract) "16.2 After making full and timely payment of 12 consecutive months of invoiced SAFE monthly bills, but prior to the expiration of the Initial term; Subscriber may elect to terminate this Agreement (“Early Termination”) by notifying SAFE in writing and paying SAFE a $350.00 “Early Termination Fee.” Subscriber may not elect to terminate this Agreement prior to Subscriber’s paying to SAFE the first twelve months’ of SAFE’s invoiced monthly bills in full." I also see they do not have a license in Idaho? Does anyone know if this is the case? Then the contract we signed may be null and void is what I can work out.

Original review: April 3, 2018

In 2009 in Drumheller, AB we signed a 36 month contract with Pinnacle Security for monitoring our home. In 2012 we moved out of province to British Columbia, I contacted Pinnacle at that time by both phone and following up with a written letter to cancel the monitoring services, we had satisfied the contract and no longer needed the service, we sold our home and moved. At some point Pinnacle sold contracts to SAFE Security and SAFE Security continued to draw money from our account every month. Despite repeated calls to the company and assurances from their reps that there would be no more draws from our account they still continued, to the tune of over $2300.00. Nothing we could say would deter them from dipping into our account monthly.

We finally had to actually change our bank account to stop them drawing monthly. We place a stop payment on them but still they attempted monthly to get money. We had no system from them, they monitored nothing. I guess they just liked the free money. I did file a claim in small claims court in Kelowna and the hearing was heard on June 30, 2017 and won the claim and was awarded $2489.00. Of course needless to say this company has not coughed up the settlement money and has avoided all emails and other communications from me asking for my money back. It been 9 months now and still I have not recovered a cent. Stay away from this company, most highly unethical company I have ever dealt with.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 14, 2018

We have used the same security system for 19 years but have seen four new owners over that time, the last being Safe Security. We had an auto-bill pay set up for years. Out of the blue we get a letter threatening collection for failure to pay $60.44 in fees. We inquired and I quote from a letter we sent to them, "The conduct of Safe Security measured against prior ownership leaves much to be desired. Apparently, with the number of complaints and lawsuits mounting into the hundreds, as found on the web, it would seem we are not alone. After review our contract, I requested copies of said notices which are required before any change in fee and you (contact) admitted there were none ever sent and none available. You could not even tell me when and for what the charges covered.

"Secondly, you told me very clearly and forcefully that we could not cancel before the month in which our contract became effective, July 3rd of each year. Again, I pointed out this was also a breach of our contract agreement. You returned our call with the fact senior personnel agreed we could cancel. You also requested we return our contract and we declined." We paid the amount claimed as it was not worth our time but also noted the collection agency is owned by them. To us, Safe Security should not be licensed to operate in the state of Washington. I would never recommend them, not even to my worst enemy. The contract is dated.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

We've had nothing but issues since trying to cancel our service in August 2017. We were told we had to opt out for over $300 which we did. Then we get another bill and call and they say we have to cancel in writing, which we did. Then we continue to get bills, we call, their representatives are rude. I'm giving them one more chance to update my account and then I'm filing a complaint with the Texas Attorney General's office. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have spoken with representatives to cancel our account, I have sent three letters of cancellation and I've been told they "can't find them". I've sent the last two by mail that can be tracked and they can't find them? I even mentioned something on their Facebook about this and they said they would look into it and of course I've never heard anything about it. I don't even have their services anymore and I'm paying for absolutely no services at all! I'd give this company no stars if I could! This was installed in our home over 4 years ago, the installation was fine but being charged for repairs of nearly $100 was outrageous and of course being billed still for no services still gets me mad. Stay away from this company!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SAFE Security Systems?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I paid off my account with this company. I have sent two cancellation letters and talks to numerous people and they continue to try to withdraw their monitoring fees from my checking account. I have done everything they asked me to do in order to cancel my account, however they continue to send me invoices requesting payment. I now have put a stop payment on my checking account so they can no longer get their fees from my account. I have also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. My advice to anyone is to steer clear of this company at all costs.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

We have had security system for about year now. From the minute it was installed it has increased my sense of security 10 fold. It is very user friendly and well worth the monthly fee. Before system was installed I was made aware of the 3-5 year contract, which standard after researching other competitors.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I have had my system for about a year now. My salesman was excellent, and installation was quick and professional. We were given a thorough training on how to operate the system. My family now feels safe with our Safe Security system. I would recommend this security company to anyone looking for a reasonable priced, high quality, and advanced technology system. Thank you Safe Security!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

SAFE Security (SS) bought my account from Pinnacle Security several years ago. Unfortunately, we have had the same experience as many others. Even though we cancelled our contract 3+ years ago, SS continued to withdraw their monthly fees from our bank account. Once we caught this we cancelled the automatic payment with our bank. This is the only way you will be able to keep these thieves out of your account. We never received any type of correspondence from SS during that time, ever! The only alarm that went off was when SS couldn't steal money from our acct anymore.

Their customer service dept. is designed to make terminating nearly impossible. After phone calls, emails, and a registered letter to cancel, they are continuing to send me invoices. I haven't had their service in 3+ years! They actually owe me about $1,800! I seriously think a class action lawsuit is in order. It's disgusting that a security company is the actual thief! I hope this comes to an end soon.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I sent a certified letter stating that I am cancelling the contract in January of 2017. I paid for the monitoring until March even though the contract is over by February of 2017. I overpaid them. Yet they kept sending me bills. Every time I called them, they say they know about my cancellation letter and would tell the billing department not to send the bill. Now 9 months later, they sent a bill stating they will report me to the credit bureau if I don't pay up.

Original review: July 19, 2017

New home owner and got SAFE system installed in May 2017, almost week after moving in. Last night, a little over 2 months after installation, I lost all sensors. I finally got in touch with a representative today and she is telling me there is a $180 fee for the technician to come out and that's hourly. Told her I needed a supervisor because I will not pay that money, especially after just 2 months! She reduced it to $60 thinking she is doing me a favor, told her it was not good enough. They finally waived the fee. When I asked about insurance I was told I had 30 days to get insurance on the system. The problem is the person on the phone and the one who came to install the system never mentioned the insurance option to me. Will see what the fee is for early termination on a 3 year contract and go with another company. Terrible service, would not recommend it!!!

Original review: June 5, 2017

Luckily I was able to receive email confirmation that I cancelled my account within the 3 day grace period. The first night we had the system the sensor fell off the back door. They came back and got the equipment the following week. A month went by and I received a bill for a system I didn't even have in my house. I have called twice to ask them to make sure the bills would be stopped and the account is cancelled. They assured me that this was done. Tonight, two police officers burst into my home saying the alarm system had gone off. It was necessary to prove to the officers that I was of sound mind and that I was okay. I again called Safe Security and they have not cancelled my service. Can you believe this nightmare! Do not... I repeat do not trust this company. Wish me luck and I hope this third call to cancel will work.

Original review: March 17, 2017

They refused to use my new 911 address, unless I renewed the contract agreement. I have had trouble with them billing me 3 times for one account, promised free equipment I had to pay for later. Their service has been cancelled, I sent a registered letter to inform them, that I no longer wanted them to monitor my home.

Original review: March 6, 2017

I signed a 5 year contract with Pinnacle Security in 2011. The company was bought or changed its name to Safe Security. I did not renew the contract at the end of the 5 year agreement and told them I did not want to renew. I was told cancellation must be in writing, even though I was no longer under contract. I sent the letter and continue to be billed. This company is awful!

Original review: March 5, 2017

I had my system installed around June 2016. I had a someone else present during install. The installer left me no receipt to contact Safe Security, because system equipment failed after install and had a error that the door sensor was inop. I was told I was to receive an email to activate. Never received that email. Since I could not find the paper that had the company info, I could not call them and figured they would call me. Never happened. 2 months later I found safe on my credit report and called them. They do not have a 24 hour customer service, but calls forward to personal cell phone that are not answered all the time.

Around September, I was charged a service fee to have a service rep come out and replace the bad sensor and reactivate my system. Not Happy about that! At this point my system was not on but I had 2 months of fees due. Was given a voucher to cover that. In October my system failed and a cop was dispatched to my house. The kitchen sensor was bad. Placed a service call and a month and a half later in December a service man showed up to replace the bad motion sensor and I was charged for the months that my system did not work. I requested to talk to a sup and did. The sup denied my request to replace the remaining sensors... request was denied. March 2017 my front door sensor and Hallway motion sensor are inop. Cannot arm system. I will talk to another supervisor to get more info on cancelling.

Original review: March 5, 2017

More than 5 years ago I had an alarm system put in by Devcon Security. They went out of business and all of a sudden I was getting bills by Safe Security which raised me to 50 monthly. I called them and said "I never obligated or signed anything with you." They said I have to write a letter to cancel. I did this. Called half dozen times to no avail. They are still billing me. They play dumb and dumber with me and I am tired of this. I am on a fixed income from working 911. Can't afford their payments. I don't know how to deal with this horrible company. I am not the only one they do this to. Please help. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I had previously had ADT security at my home, until Danielle knocked on my door. She was very pleasant and honest about not working for my company, but she also informed me that she could update my alarm system at no cost to and leave my monthly bill about the same depending on if I wanted cameras or not. This was music to my ears because I had just called ADT a couple weeks before inquiring about cameras and they wanted to charge me over $700 upfront and raise my monthly bill from $55 to almost $70 a month. I love my new security system, it's has great new features and love being able to turn the system on and off from my phone. I never buy from door to door people normally, but I would recommend Safe Security to anyone I know, or even anyone I don't know! Thank you Safe Security for protecting my home and my family.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

I have had an alarm with Safe Security since 2010. I have been forced to call Safe Security twice when batteries failed within the last 6 months. Even though I have a contract that covers problems, they still charged me. The first incident was the system battery that needed to be replaced. They charged me for the battery and a delivery charge, but I had to drive into Albuquerque to pick up the battery myself. It took over 12 weeks to get them to send me a check to reimburse me for the delivery charge.

THEN my smoke detector battery failed and they could not fix the system, even with new batteries that I had replaced myself, so they said they would have a technician come out. I have been waiting for a phone call or appointment for over a month. NO ONE HAS CALLED, NOR HAS ANYONE COME TO MY HOUSE TO FIX MY FIRE ALARM. But, Safe Security charged me a $75.00 service call, EVEN THOUGH THE SERVICE CALL WAS TO BE COVERED BY MY CONTRACT! So, my fire alarm doesn't work, they have taken an extra $75.00+ from my checking account, and they cannot give me my money back for 6 to 8 weeks. I used to be glad I had an alarm system with this company, BUT NOT ANYMORE!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

Stay away from SAFE SECURITY in San Ramon, CA. They have hidden language in the agreement that auto renews and when you sell your house they stick you with it. I called to customer service before the 'auto' renewal telling them the house was being sold and nobody ever said it was ready to renew and if you sell you still have to pay. THEY ARE A RIPOFF!!! They are supposed to be protecting you but all they are doing is protecting their bottom line and stealing from the subscribers. Go to SimpliSafe or someplace else that doesn't steal from you.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

I have been having repeated network failures with the Safe Security Alarm system. I called customer service and they at first told me it would cost me $118 to get someone to come out to see why the system keeps failing. After telling her to check the contract she admitted that I had a service contract and said she would have someone call me to set up a service appointment. Guess that should have been my first cue when she didn't set it up on the call. After 10 days no one had called so I called again. It was a weekend and I was told basically "too bad call on Monday" because they don't fix problems on the weekends. Wow, makes you feel real good about them and how they monitor your service.

On Monday I called and was told again they would have to have someone call me to make an appointment. At least this time they did call, but I was told that it would be another week before someone could actually come out and check the system. I still have two years on this contract, but it is on my desk and I am writing a letter today to cancel this service when the initial contract expires. Don't want to get caught in the whipsaw I have read on this page about getting stuck with another year of this less than stellar service. If you are a consumer looking for alarm services I would tell you to run and not just walk away from this company.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2016

I ended my contract 1 month prior, BUT they wanted to happen 3 MONTHS before it expire! This rip-off company is charging me for 1 year for every month!! After being 5 years with them! What can I do? Can I file a lawsuit or am I screwed?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2016

I signed a contract with a security company called Pinnacle Security. Apparently, Pinnacle was bought by Safe Security and I was never informed of this change. I had moved from the house where I signed the original contract and was unable to cancel or transfer the contract but was still never informed of the change. After living in my new home for the duration of the original contract and continuing to pay on a security service (that I was not even using) to fulfill my obligation, I finally called to cancel the service and was told repeatedly that I was still under contract. I managed to find the original contract and called back to inquire how I could be under a contract when the original terms were met. It was at this time (2 years after the original term was to end) that I was informed of the automatic renewal policy each January.

I informed the agent that I was no longer living in the home that was under contract, that I had met my obligation, that I was never informed of the change in company, and that I would like the contract to be terminated immediately. I was told I had to send a formal letter to cancel my service and pay almost $190. I wrote the letter along with how I felt that were taking advantage of people and that this was a scam. Safe Security wrote back and said that my service would be cancelled if I paid the $189. I waited a few months to call and finally terminate the contract in the hopes the balance would be smaller. I spoke with a man named Rick who told me he would gladly cancel my service and that the new total was $80 now. I paid the balance and got a confirmation number and assumed I was done.

However, I found an auto draft in my account from Safe Security again last month. I called to clarify and get it refunded and I was told I still owed $189 and that Rick was not authorized to give cancellation balances and cancel accounts. This company is running a scam. I have contacted my bank to stop all payments to this company and am now hiring a lawyer. I believe we could have a case on our hands. I have read the previous reviews and this seems to be their M.O. They refuse to cancel your service, make up lies about the terms, lose letters of cancellation, make up excuses as they go, and continue to draft money from your account despite giving you cancellation information. I would love more information on how to shut this company down so more people are not scammed and taken advantage of.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2016

I sent a notice to Safe Security to cancel my service due to the sale of my home in April 2016. I pay on an annual basis and never received a refund of the remaining service. Then in September 2016, I get another annual charge posted on my bank statement. I called Safe Security and they claimed they never received my cancellation notice. I called again today and they said they left a voice mail (which was never received) asking me to send another cancellation notice. The service was good until you have to cancel and they try everything they can not to give a refund. Please do not use this company!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

During setup, and the duration of service, I never had any complaints. The customer service was great (although they were slow answering their phones) and they were helpful. We decided to upgrade to a different company and knew we would be moving in the near future. The new company had local reps and Safe did not, and transferring our service was going to be super easy with new company. I called to cancel and was told I would have to buy out the remainder of our contract, which ended 10 months from that time. I opted to let the balance pay down in the monthly increments I was currently paying.

After it was paid off, I called to inquire about cancelling, was told I needed to submit the request in writing. In the chaos of move prep, I lost the address that I was supposed to send it to, called again, was told before I could talk to the cancellation dept, someone had to call me because it was already notated on my account that I was trying to close it. I never received the phone call, so I called back, again asking to speak to the cancellation dept. I got the same response as prior, this time I told them all I needed was the address to send the cancellation request to.

They gave me the info, I sent the letter and thought it should be all taken care of. Again I was billed for my service that had long since been replaced. Again I called. Only to be told that I owed money for a year of service I was not completing. Never once was I told that my service would renew for another year after my initial contract period. So all of my efforts to avoid paying out a chunk of change that, frankly, I could not afford all at once were for nothing as I ultimately still paid out a chunk of change that I could not afford. The supervisor did discount the rate that was owed, but honestly, I don't think I should have had to pay it. Only because I wanted to be done with them did I pay it. My husband filed a complaint and life goes on. We will NEVER use this company again.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

I knew there was a racket going on when I sent in a written confirmation of cancelling my request, and I was told it was received but that it was not signed. I totally recall signing it so I asked them to scan and email it to me, and they said they did not retain it!! I had already emailed them of the cancellation and these days, that should have sufficed but they were very insistent on a letter. So I mailed another written cancellation and was called by Linda to say this was not received. She was screaming at me that I need to send written cancellation. At this point, I knew it was useless to keep sending letters, as they were deliberately doing this. I then saw all the complaints online of customers who had the same experience and were ripped off for months worth of service after they cancelled that they did not want.

There are calls by these customers for a class action and that is what will occur. Also, reports will be filed with the police as criminal proceedings need to be taken against the owner and managers that are behind this covert operation. Do not do business with this company -- or the people behind it. Per the website, the CEO is Paul Sargenti.

Original review: July 29, 2016

This company is unethical in their business practice. They do not explain the terms of their contracts and automatic renewal process. They lead the consumer to believe a contract is only an automatic renewal only after the first year when in reality when you call to cancel after several years being a client they bring to your attention the yearly renewal process. Management is not willing to work with the consumer and they even challenged the client to report the claim. Even after several attempts to try and work the situation out and explain to them that I would be reactivating our account once our new home closes escrow they would not try to find a resolution.

Original review: July 19, 2016

I wanted to cancel my account which had began 2007. I was told that it automatically renews in April and to look at my contract. To end this account would cost over $400 and now I must remember in 8 months to send a certified letter to cancel. As another reviewer stated they are the criminals, instead of the protector. I would love to be a part of a class action suit against this company.

Original review: July 13, 2016

Have been dealing with this company for years, they had bought out the other company and we did not have a chance to see if we wanted to keep them or change to someone else. We decided to go with another company and we were told to cancel the contract we would have to pay $185.00 and also write a letter of cancellation. I wrote the letter of cancellation and we decided just to stick with paying the monthly contract cost. Well called in the month of July and found out they are still billing us and can't find our letter.

Updated 8/14//2016 - I am adding to my prior review that I wrote back in July 2016. Never heard back from the representative who promised to call back to see if we could get the service cancelled for the rest of the year. Am now stuck paying $46.98 for another year for service we don't even have with this company. Consider it highway robbery to a bunch of thieves who do nothing to protect our home. Am going to write another letter of cancellation again since our original one was never "received" and am going to file a complaint with our States Attorney General about their business practices along with the BBB in our state and also will file a complaint to the States Attorney General from where ever they operate from.

If I have to will write a letter of cancellation every month that is certified so someone will get the point. I too would be happy to file a class action suit against this company with many other unhappy and dissatisfied people who feel that they have been scammed by this company. The representatives I've talked to in the past said they have sent me a letter explaining the contract but I've told them what contract? I doubt very much they have sent any such thing and so the excuses and fibs just continue.

Original review: July 9, 2016

Safe Security continues to bill me on a monthly basis even though I formally discontinued their services in November of 2015 after telling them I was dissatisfied by the way they kept increasing prices of service with no improvement of service. I am willing to join other dissatisfied customers in a class action suit if they are interested. I have seen this same complaint repeatedly on this site and others.

Original review: July 7, 2016

Very, very dissatisfied with the company as a whole. I would never be able to get through customer services. I had to cancel a month ahead of time even though I have been without a contract for three years having come over as a previous customer of Pinnacle. They would not refund my $48.97 payment even though my system has not been connected which showed up after a test was performed from their end. I would really, really stay away from this company!

SAFE Security Systems Company Information