1.28/5
Based on 82 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a home alarm?

86 SAFE Security Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

After getting rid of my landline, I had a wireless system installed, for which I had to pay $179. I had been with this company since my previous monitoring company sold to them. Even though I had long fulfilled the original 3-year contract, I had to sign another 3-year contract for the upgrade. The system goes out whenever there's a power outage - but there's no notification from Safe. After a 2-week vacation, I came home to find no alarm. I contacted Safe and they said all I had to do was reset it. How can I reset it when I'm not home and don't know it's gone out??? I have to wait an average of 30 minutes to get through to a customer representative.

I checked out their SafeID identity protection, with no idea that they would automatically add it to my bill after 30 days. When I got that first bill, I immediately cancelled it and got a verification letter that it would stop immediately. This month I got another bill for that extra $10. I sent them an email with a copy of the letter they sent me, then I cancelled my autopay so they won't automatically deduct that amount. If this company were legitimate, they wouldn't have to resort to sneaky tactics to get your money. My monitoring service is a waste of money since I can't rely on it actually functioning. Their customer service stinks.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

My elderly grandmother, unknowingly signed a 60 month contract with Safe Security. There was definitely a misunderstanding to which she felt she had been taken advantage of. I contacted Safe Security and was put in contact with Ben **. He was very courteous, helpful and provided me with the documentation I requested. After I explained to him our particular situation, he was very kind and agreed to cancel her contract.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

My system has been down for two weeks. It took a week for a field tech to come to my home. The field tech stated that parts were needed and would be mailed to my home. After a week of waiting I called and asked when the parts would arrive. I was told no parts were needed. I asked them when I could expect my system to be put back on line and repaired. They were not able to answer the question and said that they would have to have someone call me the following day. It took me 14 minutes get someone on the line and the call lasted over 35 minutes. When I called them two weeks ago it took in excess of 25 minutes to get to someone. I sent a nasty email to them with no response. I am going to have my lawyer contact them have this contract canceled.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I signed a contract with this company a couple of years ago. It’s been a nightmare. Alarm sounds and they don’t call us, or call a wrong number. Break ins and they fail to call us or the police. If we call them for service, end up on hold for at least a half hour before talking to anyone. System breaks down, and no service. A total disappointment.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I receive my bill for July. There was an increase because I didn't want auto bill or pay online. I was not told this when I sign up with them. If they had told me this I never would have gotten with them. I feel I have been deceived. I would not recommend SAFE Security to anyone. I am on a fix income. I can't afford any increase.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SAFE Security Systems?

Original review: July 2, 2018

This company has raised prices with no notifications, have extended contract with no approval and say I cannot cancel for 7 months in the future. If anyone can tell me how to get out of this chicken outfit, please do. I will do everything I can to warn others of this scam. If I die, I am 81, I suppose they will still bill my bank.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Our security system contract was purchased by Safe Security a year or more ago. When this occurred, I read many reviews and noticed a very common theme. Safe Security continued to charge credit cards/bank accounts even after contacts were null and void. Based upon this information, I chose to delete my credit card information and send my payment directly from my bank account. Fast forward a year later. Safe Security started charging me a $2.50 fee for not being enrolled in autopay. There was no warning. When I called to discuss the additional charges every month, I waited on hold for an extreme amount of time. I spoke to a representative who could only explain the reason for the charges and not why it happened when it did. She transferred me to a supervisor and I had to wait an additional amount of time.

The supervisor explained that I had agreed to autopay and therefore they had the right to charge a fee for not remaining in autopay. Might I add, they have received their payments every month ON TIME. At this point I am still not on autopay. I expressed my frustration and of course they will “pass the information along” and “document what they explained to me in the chart.” I spent a total of 1 hr and 21 min (maybe spoke to a live individual for 12 of those minutes) and had nothing resolved. Once my contract is up, I am taking my business elsewhere. Horrible, horrible company.

Original review: April 20, 2018

We are still paying with auto deductions through bank for a security system that we do not have. May 2015 we agreed to the install and I was under the impression from the agent who talked us into the system that we could cancel at any time if we did not like it. WRONG! The contract was for 60 months! We sold our house where it was installed November 2016 and according to my wife who handles the payment the company rep told her it is a 5 year contract. So unless the new owners of the house took over the contract at our old house that has the equipment installed in we are paying for a system that we do not have. How can this be so? Why were we not advised instead of paying for an alarm we no longer had that the system could be transferred to our present house seeing that we have to pay for the 5 years?

After a discussion with SAFE rep, it was found that they cannot relocate the equipment to our new house as they have no techs/support in our area. Wonderful (I thought) a good way to get out of 2 more years paying for no system... WRONG... The rep said the contract was valid only for the location it was originally installed at!!! This is after we have been in our new house over 18 months and still paying for equipment at our previous house. The new owners of our previous house would not take over the contract and we are still stuck paying for equipment we do not have and cannot be relocated due to the area we are now in.

What the heck are we supposed to do now? I mean this company really really is bad when it comes to working with customers. I did find a clause that I will list below though. Can someone tell me if this is a valid reason to not pay for 2 years of monitoring? (From contract) "16.2 After making full and timely payment of 12 consecutive months of invoiced SAFE monthly bills, but prior to the expiration of the Initial term; Subscriber may elect to terminate this Agreement (“Early Termination”) by notifying SAFE in writing and paying SAFE a $350.00 “Early Termination Fee.” Subscriber may not elect to terminate this Agreement prior to Subscriber’s paying to SAFE the first twelve months’ of SAFE’s invoiced monthly bills in full." I also see they do not have a license in Idaho? Does anyone know if this is the case? Then the contract we signed may be null and void is what I can work out.

Original review: April 3, 2018

In 2009 in Drumheller, AB we signed a 36 month contract with Pinnacle Security for monitoring our home. In 2012 we moved out of province to British Columbia, I contacted Pinnacle at that time by both phone and following up with a written letter to cancel the monitoring services, we had satisfied the contract and no longer needed the service, we sold our home and moved. At some point Pinnacle sold contracts to SAFE Security and SAFE Security continued to draw money from our account every month. Despite repeated calls to the company and assurances from their reps that there would be no more draws from our account they still continued, to the tune of over $2300.00. Nothing we could say would deter them from dipping into our account monthly.

We finally had to actually change our bank account to stop them drawing monthly. We place a stop payment on them but still they attempted monthly to get money. We had no system from them, they monitored nothing. I guess they just liked the free money. I did file a claim in small claims court in Kelowna and the hearing was heard on June 30, 2017 and won the claim and was awarded $2489.00. Of course needless to say this company has not coughed up the settlement money and has avoided all emails and other communications from me asking for my money back. It been 9 months now and still I have not recovered a cent. Stay away from this company, most highly unethical company I have ever dealt with.

Original review: March 14, 2018

We have used the same security system for 19 years but have seen four new owners over that time, the last being Safe Security. We had an auto-bill pay set up for years. Out of the blue we get a letter threatening collection for failure to pay $60.44 in fees. We inquired and I quote from a letter we sent to them, "The conduct of Safe Security measured against prior ownership leaves much to be desired. Apparently, with the number of complaints and lawsuits mounting into the hundreds, as found on the web, it would seem we are not alone. After review our contract, I requested copies of said notices which are required before any change in fee and you (contact) admitted there were none ever sent and none available. You could not even tell me when and for what the charges covered.

"Secondly, you told me very clearly and forcefully that we could not cancel before the month in which our contract became effective, July 3rd of each year. Again, I pointed out this was also a breach of our contract agreement. You returned our call with the fact senior personnel agreed we could cancel. You also requested we return our contract and we declined." We paid the amount claimed as it was not worth our time but also noted the collection agency is owned by them. To us, Safe Security should not be licensed to operate in the state of Washington. I would never recommend them, not even to my worst enemy. The contract is dated.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

We've had nothing but issues since trying to cancel our service in August 2017. We were told we had to opt out for over $300 which we did. Then we get another bill and call and they say we have to cancel in writing, which we did. Then we continue to get bills, we call, their representatives are rude. I'm giving them one more chance to update my account and then I'm filing a complaint with the Texas Attorney General's office. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have spoken with representatives to cancel our account, I have sent three letters of cancellation and I've been told they "can't find them". I've sent the last two by mail that can be tracked and they can't find them? I even mentioned something on their Facebook about this and they said they would look into it and of course I've never heard anything about it. I don't even have their services anymore and I'm paying for absolutely no services at all! I'd give this company no stars if I could! This was installed in our home over 4 years ago, the installation was fine but being charged for repairs of nearly $100 was outrageous and of course being billed still for no services still gets me mad. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I paid off my account with this company. I have sent two cancellation letters and talks to numerous people and they continue to try to withdraw their monitoring fees from my checking account. I have done everything they asked me to do in order to cancel my account, however they continue to send me invoices requesting payment. I now have put a stop payment on my checking account so they can no longer get their fees from my account. I have also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. My advice to anyone is to steer clear of this company at all costs.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

We have had security system for about year now. From the minute it was installed it has increased my sense of security 10 fold. It is very user friendly and well worth the monthly fee. Before system was installed I was made aware of the 3-5 year contract, which standard after researching other competitors.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I have had my system for about a year now. My salesman was excellent, and installation was quick and professional. We were given a thorough training on how to operate the system. My family now feels safe with our Safe Security system. I would recommend this security company to anyone looking for a reasonable priced, high quality, and advanced technology system. Thank you Safe Security!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

SAFE Security (SS) bought my account from Pinnacle Security several years ago. Unfortunately, we have had the same experience as many others. Even though we cancelled our contract 3+ years ago, SS continued to withdraw their monthly fees from our bank account. Once we caught this we cancelled the automatic payment with our bank. This is the only way you will be able to keep these thieves out of your account. We never received any type of correspondence from SS during that time, ever! The only alarm that went off was when SS couldn't steal money from our acct anymore.

Their customer service dept. is designed to make terminating nearly impossible. After phone calls, emails, and a registered letter to cancel, they are continuing to send me invoices. I haven't had their service in 3+ years! They actually owe me about $1,800! I seriously think a class action lawsuit is in order. It's disgusting that a security company is the actual thief! I hope this comes to an end soon.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I sent a certified letter stating that I am cancelling the contract in January of 2017. I paid for the monitoring until March even though the contract is over by February of 2017. I overpaid them. Yet they kept sending me bills. Every time I called them, they say they know about my cancellation letter and would tell the billing department not to send the bill. Now 9 months later, they sent a bill stating they will report me to the credit bureau if I don't pay up.

Original review: July 19, 2017

New home owner and got SAFE system installed in May 2017, almost week after moving in. Last night, a little over 2 months after installation, I lost all sensors. I finally got in touch with a representative today and she is telling me there is a $180 fee for the technician to come out and that's hourly. Told her I needed a supervisor because I will not pay that money, especially after just 2 months! She reduced it to $60 thinking she is doing me a favor, told her it was not good enough. They finally waived the fee. When I asked about insurance I was told I had 30 days to get insurance on the system. The problem is the person on the phone and the one who came to install the system never mentioned the insurance option to me. Will see what the fee is for early termination on a 3 year contract and go with another company. Terrible service, would not recommend it!!!

Original review: June 5, 2017

Luckily I was able to receive email confirmation that I cancelled my account within the 3 day grace period. The first night we had the system the sensor fell off the back door. They came back and got the equipment the following week. A month went by and I received a bill for a system I didn't even have in my house. I have called twice to ask them to make sure the bills would be stopped and the account is cancelled. They assured me that this was done. Tonight, two police officers burst into my home saying the alarm system had gone off. It was necessary to prove to the officers that I was of sound mind and that I was okay. I again called Safe Security and they have not cancelled my service. Can you believe this nightmare! Do not... I repeat do not trust this company. Wish me luck and I hope this third call to cancel will work.

Original review: March 17, 2017

They refused to use my new 911 address, unless I renewed the contract agreement. I have had trouble with them billing me 3 times for one account, promised free equipment I had to pay for later. Their service has been cancelled, I sent a registered letter to inform them, that I no longer wanted them to monitor my home.

Original review: March 6, 2017

I signed a 5 year contract with Pinnacle Security in 2011. The company was bought or changed its name to Safe Security. I did not renew the contract at the end of the 5 year agreement and told them I did not want to renew. I was told cancellation must be in writing, even though I was no longer under contract. I sent the letter and continue to be billed. This company is awful!

Original review: March 5, 2017

I had my system installed around June 2016. I had a someone else present during install. The installer left me no receipt to contact Safe Security, because system equipment failed after install and had a error that the door sensor was inop. I was told I was to receive an email to activate. Never received that email. Since I could not find the paper that had the company info, I could not call them and figured they would call me. Never happened. 2 months later I found safe on my credit report and called them. They do not have a 24 hour customer service, but calls forward to personal cell phone that are not answered all the time.

Around September, I was charged a service fee to have a service rep come out and replace the bad sensor and reactivate my system. Not Happy about that! At this point my system was not on but I had 2 months of fees due. Was given a voucher to cover that. In October my system failed and a cop was dispatched to my house. The kitchen sensor was bad. Placed a service call and a month and a half later in December a service man showed up to replace the bad motion sensor and I was charged for the months that my system did not work. I requested to talk to a sup and did. The sup denied my request to replace the remaining sensors... request was denied. March 2017 my front door sensor and Hallway motion sensor are inop. Cannot arm system. I will talk to another supervisor to get more info on cancelling.

Original review: March 5, 2017

More than 5 years ago I had an alarm system put in by Devcon Security. They went out of business and all of a sudden I was getting bills by Safe Security which raised me to 50 monthly. I called them and said "I never obligated or signed anything with you." They said I have to write a letter to cancel. I did this. Called half dozen times to no avail. They are still billing me. They play dumb and dumber with me and I am tired of this. I am on a fixed income from working 911. Can't afford their payments. I don't know how to deal with this horrible company. I am not the only one they do this to. Please help. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I had previously had ADT security at my home, until Danielle knocked on my door. She was very pleasant and honest about not working for my company, but she also informed me that she could update my alarm system at no cost to and leave my monthly bill about the same depending on if I wanted cameras or not. This was music to my ears because I had just called ADT a couple weeks before inquiring about cameras and they wanted to charge me over $700 upfront and raise my monthly bill from $55 to almost $70 a month. I love my new security system, it's has great new features and love being able to turn the system on and off from my phone. I never buy from door to door people normally, but I would recommend Safe Security to anyone I know, or even anyone I don't know! Thank you Safe Security for protecting my home and my family.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

I have had an alarm with Safe Security since 2010. I have been forced to call Safe Security twice when batteries failed within the last 6 months. Even though I have a contract that covers problems, they still charged me. The first incident was the system battery that needed to be replaced. They charged me for the battery and a delivery charge, but I had to drive into Albuquerque to pick up the battery myself. It took over 12 weeks to get them to send me a check to reimburse me for the delivery charge.

THEN my smoke detector battery failed and they could not fix the system, even with new batteries that I had replaced myself, so they said they would have a technician come out. I have been waiting for a phone call or appointment for over a month. NO ONE HAS CALLED, NOR HAS ANYONE COME TO MY HOUSE TO FIX MY FIRE ALARM. But, Safe Security charged me a $75.00 service call, EVEN THOUGH THE SERVICE CALL WAS TO BE COVERED BY MY CONTRACT! So, my fire alarm doesn't work, they have taken an extra $75.00+ from my checking account, and they cannot give me my money back for 6 to 8 weeks. I used to be glad I had an alarm system with this company, BUT NOT ANYMORE!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

Stay away from SAFE SECURITY in San Ramon, CA. They have hidden language in the agreement that auto renews and when you sell your house they stick you with it. I called to customer service before the 'auto' renewal telling them the house was being sold and nobody ever said it was ready to renew and if you sell you still have to pay. THEY ARE A RIPOFF!!! They are supposed to be protecting you but all they are doing is protecting their bottom line and stealing from the subscribers. Go to SimpliSafe or someplace else that doesn't steal from you.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

I have been having repeated network failures with the Safe Security Alarm system. I called customer service and they at first told me it would cost me $118 to get someone to come out to see why the system keeps failing. After telling her to check the contract she admitted that I had a service contract and said she would have someone call me to set up a service appointment. Guess that should have been my first cue when she didn't set it up on the call. After 10 days no one had called so I called again. It was a weekend and I was told basically "too bad call on Monday" because they don't fix problems on the weekends. Wow, makes you feel real good about them and how they monitor your service.

On Monday I called and was told again they would have to have someone call me to make an appointment. At least this time they did call, but I was told that it would be another week before someone could actually come out and check the system. I still have two years on this contract, but it is on my desk and I am writing a letter today to cancel this service when the initial contract expires. Don't want to get caught in the whipsaw I have read on this page about getting stuck with another year of this less than stellar service. If you are a consumer looking for alarm services I would tell you to run and not just walk away from this company.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2016

I ended my contract 1 month prior, BUT they wanted to happen 3 MONTHS before it expire! This rip-off company is charging me for 1 year for every month!! After being 5 years with them! What can I do? Can I file a lawsuit or am I screwed?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2016

I signed a contract with a security company called Pinnacle Security. Apparently, Pinnacle was bought by Safe Security and I was never informed of this change. I had moved from the house where I signed the original contract and was unable to cancel or transfer the contract but was still never informed of the change. After living in my new home for the duration of the original contract and continuing to pay on a security service (that I was not even using) to fulfill my obligation, I finally called to cancel the service and was told repeatedly that I was still under contract. I managed to find the original contract and called back to inquire how I could be under a contract when the original terms were met. It was at this time (2 years after the original term was to end) that I was informed of the automatic renewal policy each January.

I informed the agent that I was no longer living in the home that was under contract, that I had met my obligation, that I was never informed of the change in company, and that I would like the contract to be terminated immediately. I was told I had to send a formal letter to cancel my service and pay almost $190. I wrote the letter along with how I felt that were taking advantage of people and that this was a scam. Safe Security wrote back and said that my service would be cancelled if I paid the $189. I waited a few months to call and finally terminate the contract in the hopes the balance would be smaller. I spoke with a man named Rick who told me he would gladly cancel my service and that the new total was $80 now. I paid the balance and got a confirmation number and assumed I was done.

However, I found an auto draft in my account from Safe Security again last month. I called to clarify and get it refunded and I was told I still owed $189 and that Rick was not authorized to give cancellation balances and cancel accounts. This company is running a scam. I have contacted my bank to stop all payments to this company and am now hiring a lawyer. I believe we could have a case on our hands. I have read the previous reviews and this seems to be their M.O. They refuse to cancel your service, make up lies about the terms, lose letters of cancellation, make up excuses as they go, and continue to draft money from your account despite giving you cancellation information. I would love more information on how to shut this company down so more people are not scammed and taken advantage of.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2016

I sent a notice to Safe Security to cancel my service due to the sale of my home in April 2016. I pay on an annual basis and never received a refund of the remaining service. Then in September 2016, I get another annual charge posted on my bank statement. I called Safe Security and they claimed they never received my cancellation notice. I called again today and they said they left a voice mail (which was never received) asking me to send another cancellation notice. The service was good until you have to cancel and they try everything they can not to give a refund. Please do not use this company!

SAFE Security Systems Company Information