(Previously MONI)

4.2/5 (920 ratings)

About Brinks Home Security™

Brinks Home offers a variety of home security and home automation equipment to keep your home safe and secure. The company has three plans, which each come with a 30-day trial period. Set up your Brinks Home package yourself or hire a professional to install it. Brinks Home systems include 24/7 professional monitoring and a two-year warranty.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Product warranties
  • Simple setup
  • Compatible with smart home systems

Cons

• Strict cancellation policy
  • No cameras in basic package

Bottom Line

Brinks offers technologically advanced systems at affordable rates. Although the cancellation policy could be better, we like its straightforward pricing and additional equipment options.

Top Brinks Home Security™ Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

What sold me with them was that it's not connected to the internet. If the power was to go out, I feel secure with that. They have good features and Brinks has been around for a w...

Verified

I've had my Brinks equipment for four years and the only thing that needed to be changed in the system was the battery. Other than that, everything is good. I like the equipment b...

Brinks Home Security packages

Brinks Home Security has three professionally monitored security systems: Smart Security Essential, Smart Security Complete and Smart Security Ultimate. You can install a system yourself or request professional setup for a fee. The entire system is wireless, so no drilling is involved. Brinks offers an industry-standard 36-month contract.

You can also buy the equipment for a Nest Secure security system from Brinks. With Nest Secure, you can pay a monthly fee of $29 for Brinks professional monitoring or $19 if you sign a three-year contract.

Brinks Home Security cost

Brinks Home pricing ranges from $199 to $699 for DIY installation and from $39.99 to $49.99 per month for monitoring. You can choose from one of three plans: Smart Security Essential, Smart Security Complete and Smart Security Ultimate. However, you should be aware that additional equipment will cost extra. Financing is available through GreenSky if you don't want to pay for the equipment all at once.

Monthly costEquipment cost
Smart Security Essential$39.99/month$199
Smart Security Complete$44.99/month$349
Smart Security Ultimate$49.99/month$699

Try any of the Brinks Home plans for 30 days, and if you're unhappy with the system, ask for a refund. The Brinks Home app comes with every plan, letting you control your home security system from your mobile device. You can control your lights, check out security video footage, and arm and disarm the system.

Brinks Home Security equipment

All of Brinks’ equipment comes with a two-year warranty. You can use voice command technologies like Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa with specific Brinks Home systems. The Smart Security systems are compatible with Alarm.com, Google Assistant, Siri and Alexa. Plans from Brinks Home come with the following equipment:

Smart Security EssentialSmart Security CompleteSmart Security Ultimate
Outdoor camera
Smart Security Essential2 sensors
Smart Security Complete2 sensors
Smart Security Ultimate3 sensors

You can add additional equipment, like indoor and outdoor cameras, to your system for an extra charge. Additional equipment you can buy includes:

• HD indoor camera
  • Carbon monoxide detectors
  • Extra door sensors
  • Glass break detectors
  • Extra motion detectors

Brinks Home Security FAQ

Do I have to install my Brinks system myself?
Brinks makes its systems easy to install yourself. All you have to do is unpack the box Brinks sends you, put the devices in the correct spots, plug them in and activate the system. If you have a more complex piece of technology you’d like to install, Brinks can put you in touch with a technician for professional installation.
What if I move homes? Can I still use my system?
You can still use your system if you move. The benefit of having a wireless, DIY system is that it’s easy to take down and set up if you’re relocating.
What is Brinks’ cancellation policy?
The Nest Secure system is month-to-month and can be canceled whenever you like; however, after the 30-day period, you won’t be able to return your equipment for a refund. For the Smart Security systems, you also get a 30-day trial period. If you cancel a Brinks contract after the trial period, you will still have to pay your balance in full.
What home automation features come with Brinks Home?
Brinks’ Smart Security systems can be paired with smart home devices such as smart lights, locks and thermostats. Users can pair their security systems to work with Alexa, Google Assistant or Siri. In addition, users can access all their smart home devices 24/7 through the Brinks Home mobile app.

Is Brinks Home Security good?

We recommend Brinks Home for its affordable plans, customizable options, risk-free trial period and good warranty. Brinks Home prices — especially for the basic plan — are competitive. The company offers both self-installation and professional setup options. Its three-year contract and strict cancellation policy aren’t ideal, but these are common among other companies in the industry.

Brinks Home Security™ Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brinks Home Security™?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

We were signed up with Monitronics and we haven't had anything done to our alarm system for years. It was trouble-free and then, we had a couple of sensors that failed because they were beyond their expiration. When I called the number, I found out that Brinks had bought that company so I arranged for a service call to have that sensor changed and to update the system. When getting ahold of customer service, the wait times are way too long. I was on probably hold for 20 minutes on the main number and they annoy the heck out of you by constantly playing the same message about going down their portal and emailing or texting them. I'm 73 years old and I've tried to tell companies a hundred times that older people do not want to do all that. We can but that's not how we were raised.

I want to talk to somebody and I don't want to be on hold. I put it on speaker and wait and wait. You can do the dishes and load the washer before they answer you. Brinks is no different than Verizon or any other big company. They all do the same thing and it annoys the heck out of the consumers. But I was able to get someone that speaks English. So that was helpful because you call some of the big companies and you can't understand them to save your life, and that's more annoying. But the persons that I got to talk to, I didn't have that problem with.

The tech who came to update the system was nice although he wasn't as familiar with our system as some of the other people. But he was getting talked through by the supervisor. This was on service call number one. After he updated the chips, he found out that we did not have the updated software or the updated device to comply with the updated chip so he couldn't complete the job. So that was annoying. He called the supervisor and they said that they would overnight the software to me. This was on a Monday so I thought he would be back Wednesday. But apparently, there was some cord or some device that they had not forwarded to him so he couldn't come back. He was then scheduled for Monday, which was yesterday. He was supposed to be there between 8:00 and noon.

I was going to call half an hour in advance so at 20 minutes to 12:00, I called the main number. They said my tech was so and so and they would give me the number. I had already been on hold with the main number so I said okay. I figured I would just call the tech because I've done that with Spectrum. It turned out the number is the center that dispatches the techs. So, I was on hold again. I finally got ahold of them and they said that if I would hold again, they would call the tech and find out. I was on hold for a few more minutes and then, she said that he was 20 minutes away.

It turned out to be half an hour. So, it was 20 after 12:00, which wasn't terrible. It’s not that far from 8:00 to 12:00. I realized that. The tech came back and completed the job. So that was good. He checked all the sensors and everything's working right now. He was more familiar with the Spectrum system and some of the other techs that came from Brinks so they're learning and trying to get all the tools for the other devices.

It would have been good of the former company that when they were bought out, somebody should have sent a letter to the new customer saying Monitronics has been bought by Brinks and give the number because you'd get caught off guard and you’d think the company has gone out of business. When they answered the phone, it said they were Brinks out of Texas. I asked when it happened and they said that it was a while back. But that's not probably Brinks' fault or maybe it is. Brinks has been a large company for years and years. It's not like they're fly-by-night. So, I don’t expect that they have experience. It's just the idea would have been nice to know that we were under a different company now.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Michael, thank you for your honest feedback. At Brinks Home Security we aim to provide the best customer experience for all of our customers and we apologize for any inconvenience. We are glad that the technician was able to resolve your issue. If there is anything else we can do, please do not hesitate to reach out. -Edwin Q.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

We've been a Brinks/Monitronics customer for four or five years now. We had them in Virginia where we lived originally. Since we moved to North Carolina about four years back, we've had nothing but problems. It's been a nightmare. The most recent visit we had with them, we had some sensors that had failed. This was the first time in many visits that we had a Brinks employee come to the house. He was fantastic and restored my faith in the brand. We were waiting out our contracts so that we could go somewhere else because the service and the support have not been there. He assured me that they've done a lot of in-house hiring and there's a lot more in-house labor. Instead of having somebody come from three to six hours away in North Carolina, he can service me from his Virginia location. He took care of the problem and he's gonna come back. He upsold me some more cameras and some more security features.

Now that I am getting the support that I need from Brinks, it's definitely great. The pairing with alarm.com makes things so simple and easy. I'm much more interested in the home automation and the fact that I can pair my garage door and my thermostats to my alarm.com app. It's not as easy as just clicking a button but the ability to have everything controlled on one central app on my phone is the selling point.

There was another security company whose whole thing was, “We are cloud-based and automation-focused. We're here to take over your current contract and take over your current system.” They were running a special and had me call Brinks to find out what I owed left on the contract. They said they'd buy me out of my contract. I did call Brinks with the gentleman sitting right here. I asked the price to get rid of Brinks and it was like $1,200.

This gentleman wanted to sell me services for 70 to 80 bucks a month. I called Brinks back up to find out what I was paying with them and my bill is either $20 or $30. It's significantly less than this startup guy wanted. I said, “If you want my business and you're gonna buy me out of my contract, you're gonna at least match the price. Otherwise, there's no value.” He looked at me and said, “I gotta pack my stuff up because I can't come close to your price.” Long story short, Brinks' price for the value is definitely there. I've had to fight for several years to get to where I am with our pricing and the setup that we have but what I pay, what services I have and what features I have in my alarm and automation, they can't be beat.

A year or so back, I was fed up with Brinks and I called ADT. I said, “How soon can you guys get out, replace everything, and I'll pay the contract myself.” ADT was gonna come out and do the installation but their pricing was not where Brinks was. As upset as I was with Brinks at the time, I was not interested in paying double or triple what my current services are unless they plan on doubling or tripling the technology or the convenience or the cameras and make it worth my while.

I'm excited to call Brinks back out, have a couple more cameras installed and continue to upgrade and build on my system. The more things evolve, the more things become one platform and one standard. Brinks is doing a great job of not only keeping up with the times but keeping competitive as well. Also, the coverage in this area was absolutely deplorable but that appears as though it has changed quite a bit, and it's done a 180.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Jonathan,thank you for taking the time to leave us this great review about our services. At Brinks Home Security we care about your satisfaction and want to ensure you’re getting the best customer service. We look forward to protecting your home for many years to come and please do not hesitate to reach out to us at any time. -Daniela S.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I got a little confused. I had an outside camera that come with bricks. I was having a bit of an issue with it. When it was recording stuff, I couldn't switch it over to my video from my ring doorbell. So, I called. They kept putting me on hold. And they said they were calling Pro-Tec America. They also said I had to change my keycode box, which made no sense, and they would charge me for it. I've tried to call customer service back a couple times. I've sat on hold for a long time. I realize they're busy. But I wasn't real happy with that. I didn't ask them to switch. They did that on their own. But I don't see why I should have to pay for a new box. I don't wanna talk to customer service because they don't know what they're doing.

The only person that knows what they're doing is Denise. I have spoken to her in customer retention. Absolutely fantastic lady. She has been very helpful. She needs a raise. One day I requested for her. They said she was busy and they would tell her to call me. I know Denise well enough that if she knew it was me, her and I talked quite a bit, and she would have called me back, which means she never got that message. I know she would have called me

Last month on the 18th, I called. Since we switched from Pro-Tec America to Brinks, I needed yard and window signs since it's a different company. We talked, and the lady agreed, and she said she would send me up. And they come in a package of one yard sign and four stickers. She would send me three sets of them. When I called and talked to customer service today, the guy there told me an entirely different story. He told me that one was free, and the other ones were 10 bucks a piece. I said, “Hold on, that's not what she told me.” So, he looked further into it, and he saw, “Oh, yeah, that's right. They're all free,” which I haven't received yet. Why would he tell me what he told me without looking first?

I’m a little leery of customer service. If you're gonna talk to somebody and discuss a particular problem before you have a conversation with them, look at what transpired in the past. If I called you and I said, “Look, I called a month ago” and I request this, make sure they were going to send it free, I would think that you would go on the computer and go back and look at that, which you can. And she, “Yes, sir. That's right,” instead of giving me a bunch of excuses, which he didn’t. He said, “Well, they're on backorder since we switched.” I don't wanna hear all that. That doesn't matter to me. When something is explained to customer service, they need to review the whole case before they say anything. Look at the computer and see what it says before you open your mouth.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

The people who had sold us the house had Brinks and it seemed like a logical decision to go with them. At that point, we already have an account with Brinks. We thought that if we wanted to go through a cancellation process and then try to start something up with a completely different company and perhaps end up with the same headaches. We just pushed and kept it with Brinks.

We had a difficult time at first just because Brinks apparently would only allow us to have any insight into our accounts or make any changes if we provided them with a passcode. The person who they had contracted to install our service never provided us with a passcode. The passcode of the individuals who lived in the house beforehand wasn't the passcode, apparently. We were told that we made a passcode and we had no recollection of that. Every potential passcode we could think of wasn't working so it was extremely frustrating and they were still taking our money. But it took a lot to try to figure out exactly how to remedy that.

We found out later that the individual who they had contracted to install the service had us write him a check for $300 and that was not supposed to happen. Even then, that individual "mistakenly" took my wallet. As a matter of fact, when he left, we had to have him come back to bring back my wallet. He said it looked exactly like his. So, we had all these incidents happen. It wasn't Brinks per se, but it was someone who they trusted to install their service properly. Then the guy told us that he installed new batteries on these other things that we wanted. The very next day, we were getting the low battery signal and trying to work with Brinks to have that remedied became an impossibility because we didn't have this passcode. We had every other form of identifiable information to indicate that we were who we were, but without that passcode, there was absolutely no way to move forward.

The solution that we were given, which sounded absurd, was to scan and email them our driver's license, front and back, all these to be sent over the airwaves. We had an incident with another company beforehand where our identities were compromised so we didn't wanna do that. It ended up being one of those situations where the only way we could move forward was to get someone on the phone who actually knew what to do. Whereas most of the time, we were only connected with people who were just getting their solutions from a playbook and didn't know how the company worked. We eventually got everything resolved, but it was a very painstaking process.

We're fine with the service. When we finally got that individual on the phone who could help us, they were informed that we were charged $300. They put that toward other services that we wanted, so we were able to get the video doorbell, the glass break, all that. The individual who came to install the video doorbell and all that was absolutely professional and he did everything to our satisfaction. We asked him for a yard sign, but he said that he didn't have it or he couldn't give it out.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Timothy, thank you so much for leaving us this review regarding our service. Brinks Home security always wants to ensure that our customers are satisfied and protected. We are glad that we were able to help you and rectify any issues that you had with your system. If there is anything, we can do to make this experience a better one please let us know. – Daniela S.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

I've had Brinks since I moved in on November of 2019. It had the security system already in it and it was armed, but I didn't have the code. I had to change everything to Brinks to get my own personal stuff and be able to turn it on and off because they didn't give me a code. They didn't mention anything when I bought the place. So now, since that incident happened last week, everything seems to be on track because I called them and complained about it.

The police was sent to my home and I wasn't contacted. I guess when I added my daughter's number, they put her number first instead of leaving mine first, but they never contacted me at all. They said that they contacted me. I don't have missed calls from them before they notified the police. So, I don't feel good about it. They contacted my daughter and she didn't have the voicemail. She contacted me and gave Brinks the voicemail, but they still sent the police out. But it was about eight hours later. So, if somebody was actually robbing my house or did a home invasion, that wouldn't make any difference if they notified eight hours later for me.

I made it clear that my daughter's was the second number to call and they should have called me first. And during that time, they gave me a number that I said I needed to put in my phone that they would call me from so I would know the emergency and I need to take the appropriate action when they call. I need to answer it to make sure it's not a spam call or something of that nature. But I don't know exactly that it's an emergency.

They gave the number, right? But when that incident happened and I talked to them again, they gave me a different number. And then, they said they have another number that they didn't have at that time to give to me. I don't answer random calls because I just bought the home. It's time for me to refinance. I'm getting probably 50 spam calls a day for advertisements and I can't just answer all those calls. Plus, I'm at work during the day so I need to know exactly if they're calling pertaining to my safety, or my home or my daughter's safety. So, if I'm paying for this service and I'm not able to do that, the service is not doing me any good.

I arm the system when I leave. When I walk in, it tells me that I need to disarm, and I disarm it and everything is working fine at this point. But if I would have an emergency, I don't know what time it would take for the police response. I want to know if I would be charged for them coming. When the police came in, they said, "Oh, we see, it was a false alarm." Then they turned around and left.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Bobby, thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback as it is always appreciated. At Brinks Home Security we strive to do better than we were the day before. We do apologize for your experience but are glad we were able to rectify that. If there is anything, we can do please let us know, we are more than happy to assist. We look forward to providing you with a quality home security service. – Juana H.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 15, 2021

Received a call from Brinks home security advising they needed to update the 3G to a 4G. The man said it was totally free, Even though he said it was free I asked again, if there would be any charges, my contract ends in November and I did not plan to renew it. The gentleman assured me there were no other charges. He even advised that if there were any problems they would take care of them, free of charge. He read me their clause, it did not refer to any charges or extension of the contract and they would also lower my payment by $5.00. I also received a letter stating this service was FREE.

After the update was completed, I received a letter thanking me for signing up for two more years. I called them, June 8th, told them I had not signed up, I was advised they had a recording of the conversation, I asked to listen to it, he refused to let me hear it. I was on the phone for over an hour disputing this. After being transferred twice, the last man, I spoke with was going to forward my dispute to the next level. Now, five weeks later, still no call back. This company lies!!!

Brinks Home Security™ response

Bonnie,thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. At Brinks, we aim to act with the upmost integrity and we never mean to make any request a difficult one. With that being said, I will be more than happy to reach out to you resolve this matter. - Daniela S.

Original review: July 8, 2021

I am a business owner and needed to obtain my alarm activity report for June 9 2021. I made several calls, each time I was told they would send the report within 48 hrs. They will not let you speak to a supervisor, and I am seriously considering ADT as an alternative.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Steve, we are sorry to hear that your recent experience with us was frustrating. We strive to provide you with an excellent customer experience, and appreciate you reaching out to let us know about your recent issue. I have located your account, and I will be reaching out directly to help resolve this for you. Edwin Q.

Resolution response: July 15, 2021

I received a call from Daniela yesterday and she was extremely helpful in resolving my concern. Thank you for reaching out to me and listening to my problem and taking the appropriate action to turn this negative situation into a positive for me.

Original review: July 8, 2021

I have been going back and forth with Brinks for over 2 months now about a defective motion sensor. The initial replacement motion sensor got lost in the mail which I completely understand that is out of Brinks' control. However, I kept getting automated reminder emails about returning the defective sensor which I obviously could not do since the new one never arrived to begin with. After multiple calls and emails, I finally got through to someone in Customer Care who took the time to resolve the problem by sending me another replacement motion sensor which did arrive. However, in the meantime I was billed $59.00 for the sensor since I had not sent the defective one back previously.

Speaking to a supervisor yesterday, I had to spend another 20 minutes "negotiating" with him to credit the erroneous $59.00 charge. He said it was the shipping company's fault the initial replacement sensor was lost which I understand, however it is not my fault either so why am I being billed $59.00 for this? He offered to credit me $39.00 but would not under any circumstances credit the full amount. I have spent between 4 - 5 hours of going back and forth with Brinks' Tech support, Customer Service and now this most recent conversation with the Supervisor and my time is certainly worth more than this $20.00 they are refusing to credit me.

There are two types of Customers in our world - The ones who accept poor service and say absolutely nothing and simply take their business elsewhere. The other type of Customer lets the service provider know they are unhappy giving them an opportunity to turn the negative into a positive for the upset Customer. I am always the latter and try to see both sides, however I don't feel Brinks is really listening to my complaint which is certainly disappointing seeing that I am a newer Customer.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Sean,I apologize for any difficulties you experienced while contacting us regarding this matter, as it is never our intention to make any situation a difficult one. We would love to speak with you to get this matter resolved amicably. I have located your account and will be sure to reach out to you. – Daniela S.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I have not been able to cancel the Brinks Home Security which took over my Protect America security via phone calls or texting, two only way to cancel they provide. Neither has been working. I have been a customer for more than 3 years and my contract is over and should be able to cancel the service anytime. Not only Brinks raised the service fee without notice, it has been impossible to be connected to the customer service consultant to cancel the service. For every 30 min or longer hold, I get to talk to a consultant who after asking all my information so they just transfer to the next and another long hold. it offered texting but it does not work, kept on asking same question if I am a current customer. While put on hold, I had to listen their advertisement. I will NEVER have this company again.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Hello, I apologize for any difficulties you experienced while contacting us regarding this matter, as it is never our intention to make any situation a difficult one. We would love to speak with you to get this matter resolved amicably. I have located your account and will be sure to reach out to you. – Daniela S.

Original review: July 1, 2021

Awful company, they don’t show to their appointments for services without explanation. No call or anything. Even when they provide a time frame to provide services they say you have to be available the entire day. The manager is rude and disrespectful. Been paying for services not provided for 3 months and counting. Still waiting for a call back to reschedule unsuccessfully. If you try to cancel they threaten you with charging your card with over $1,000. I will never ever will use this company again. As soon as I can will stop businesses with them. Please don’t go through what I’m going through and try a different company. Very disappointed

Brinks Home Security™ response

Ingrid, we are sorry to hear that your recent experience with us was frustrating. We strive to provide you with an excellent customer experience, and appreciate you reaching out to let us know about your recent issue. I have located your account, and I will be reaching out directly to help resolve this for you. Please allow 48-72 hours for us to look into this matter and contact you via phone or email. We appreciate your time and patience and look forward to speaking with you soon. -Edwin Q.

Brinks Home Security™ Company Information