Call toll free
2.85/5

(Previously MONI)

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Brinks Home Security™ is one of the largest home security alarm monitoring companies in the U.S. Headquartered in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, Brinks Home Security secures approximately 1 million residential and commercial customers through highly responsive, simple home security solutions that are backed by expertly trained professionals. The company is supported by the nation’s largest network of independent authorized dealers, providing products and support to customers in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.

Brinks Home Security™ Gallery (2)
Consumers Choice Award Winner
A+BBB Rating
Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Home Security Systems J.D. Power
View More View More

2506 Brinks Home Security™ Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

We bought an alarm system from SimpliSafe. I then received an email that we were now with Brinks and our monthly bill went up. One night our alarm system began activating itself. It would activate, countdown, and then lock. Afterwards it would set off the alarm or ask us to disarm it. This went on for a half hour. The next day, I started getting notifications of an alarm event that never happened. Then the alarm started arming itself again. It would count down and set itself, I could not stop it. Then the alarm would go off. This went on for hours. I carried the control panel around with me so I could disarm it before the alarm went off.

We finally had to take the control panel apart as the alarm could not be disarmed. Literally, this went on until the panel was in pieces. I called customer service and was told someone would contact me. No one did. After several hours, I got an email stating I called the wrong customer service number. That I should call a different number. I called another 800 number and gave them my number to call me back. No one called. I am still getting alarm event notifications and the control panel is in pieces on my dining room table. I have no idea who to contact to get a replacement device or even if I should as I don’t feel we would be protected.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Dawn, the experience described in your review is alarming. Here at Brinks our customer tech support our dedicated members always ready to help, and we are so sorry if there is any error in the reaching us as our number has not changed. Nonetheless allow us to fix this matter, I have located your account with us and I will be sure to reach out to you to resolve this matter asap. -Jacob B

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

My parents sold their home in March of this year via phone... My mom noticed in September that they were still being charged. They say they told her that “she would be sent an email to sign for proof of cancellation. However, in the course of conversation, my mom does not remember any such thing and she would have told them so because she knew they would have no email access for 4 months! After my mom called back in September, the customer service rep made a very disrespectful comment about my elderly mother and email... completely unacceptable! I followed up myself just yesterday and was told that there was no way for a refund (nearly $400) because protocol was not followed.

Owning my own business, I completely understand policy and protocol, however, no follow up phone call was made to ask “email cancellation received?” Sometimes good customer service, happy customer and basic kindness trumps protocol. My parents had been customers of Monitronics since 1992!! To have received this type of treatment after being loyal customers for so long is just a basic lack of human empathy. I encourage all readers to utilize another security company as this lapse of professionalism is inexplicable based on all of the facts and details which I did not go into here. If this is the way they treat long time customers, I would refuse to fund them by giving them your hard earned dollars.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Lydia, Here at Brinks we care for all of our customers, there protection and satisfaction is our top priority. We love our loyal customers like your parents and this experience is shocking to say the least. I want to ensure a speedy resolution to this matter, so I have your located your parents account with us. I'd be happy to reach out them or you and address your concerns to again ensure a speedy amicable resolution. I will be sure to reach out to today. -Jacob B

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

We were moving out of a commercial location and in the process notified Brinks that we were cancelling their services (now more than 2 weeks ago). Despite the cancellation we are still getting alarm notifications at 3:58 am every night till this day, even after 2 or 3 phone calls and 2 or 3 email requests/complaints and with NO EQUIPMENT CONNECTED! A company that cannot control their own system cannot guarantee the safety of your home, any home, period! Our contract was signed with LiveWatch (not Brinks) for a period of 2 yrs; we did not break the contract, the cancellation was exactly after 2 yrs. Brinks also took another monthly payment, quoting the contract, which supposedly says that they can do so. Even though I did not choose Brinks - Brinks bought out LiveWatch - Brinks turned out to be the worst company I ever did business with! They stole money from my company and there is a chance they will steal money from you!

Brinks Home Security™ response

Daniel, The kind of experience described in your review is the exact opposite of what we strive to provide. Here at Brinks we know moving can be difficult as is and we never mean to make things more so. My name is Jacob and I would love to resolve this matter with you. I have located your account with us and I will be sure to reach out to you to ensure a amicable resolution. -Jacob B

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

On December 27, 2017, I signed a contract with MONI for $39.99 for 36 months for a total purchase price of $1439.64. MONI was purchased by Brinks Home Security and I was contacted by Brinks in April 2018 to install cameras. I was told the cameras were free and came with free installation. My rate would increase to $45.97 per month and my contract would be extended. The Technician who was installing the cameras called to set an appointment, but informed me that the cameras being installed would require an electrical outlet. He didn't install the outlet and I would have to pay an electrician. He said that Brinks did offer a wireless Arlo camera, but Brinks would have to mail it to me and he would not install the camera. The Technician said the Arlo camera was a DIY and he would stand over my shoulder. After all this information, I said, no I don't want the cameras installed.

I immediately called Brinks and cancelled the installation. However, Brinks still continued to charge me as if the cameras were installed and I've called every month thereafter because of billing issues. I've spent hours on the phone trying to get my account back to the Contract amount. Every month I get told that the account has been fixed. The final straw is on 11/6/2018, I called Brinks to once again dispute the charges, asking my rate is changed back to the Contracted amount. On 11/8/2018, I receive an email stating that they have approved my rate reduction, but extended my contract to 24 months. Wait, what? I never requested a rate reduction, never requested a contract extension, and never approved any of these things.

I call Brinks and speak with a Brandon on 11/9/2018 to cancel the service and I'm transferred to a different department. That department is closed, so I call the department back during normal business hours and speak with a Sachelle. I'm told I have to pay for 27 months. I'm livid because my contract was due to expire December 2019. I ask to speak to a supervisor. After waiting over an hour, the representative tells me the Supervisor says to transfer me back to customer service, which is the first department I called. I'm transferred back to the initial department I called, spoke to an Isabelle. Isabelle states that my rate has been adjusted to $41.99 and my contract date is back to its original expiration date of December 2019.

For the life of me, I can't understand how difficult it is to change a rate back to a contract amount. I also can't understand who in their right minds would extend a contract to 24 months and not get any type of additional equipment. I have no faith that this issue is resolved, I've called for 7 months straight and each month, it's the same line. Had I not read my billing, I would be paying a higher rate at an extended amount of time. Go with a better company, who trains its employees properly. I can understand one billing issue, but seven months, it leans towards lack of training or incompetence. I'll let them decided. I urge anyone to reconsider and if you decide to take the leap, just never make any adjustments to the account.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Lashonda,We are sorry to hear of the recent experience with us, we would love a chance to make this matter right. Here at Brinks a customers mere satisfaction means the world to us. I have located your account with us and I will be sure to reach out to you asap. -Jacob B

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

We recently moved to our first home. One of the things on the checklist was to get an alarm system. We received the package from Brinks Home Security because we opted for the self install. My wife called Brinks to test the setup and was completed Wednesday that week and was told that the alarm will be active to their system at midnight.

Our home was burglarized that Friday at 5:30 PM. Brinks did not notify us nor contacted authorities to check the house. I found the problem when my wife texted me about notifications from the system. We could hear the alarm siren through the video feed from the Brinks app. I walked in our home and noticed the bedroom lights on, dresser drawers open and shattered glass all over the master bedroom. I called the police for assistance. Found out one of my new neighbors also called the police.

Called Brinks which I was transferred several times and hung up on by staff. Police officer (Officer **) onsite, taking the fingerprints was also in disbelief since I had Brinks on the speaker phone with them. After several attempts to get assistance from Brinks, my wife finally got a hold of someone and was told that our system was still on "Test" mode. Even with the confirmation from the Brinks support that it will be active that night they completed their testing. Stolen items: Mine and wife's wedding rings, her engagement ring, jewelries handed down by wife's grandmother (over 100 yr old items), Brinks control panel and other little miscellaneous things.

Police found the Brinks security control panel in our backyard and was tampered with. They took it for their investigation. Brinks told my wife that we're responsible to return the panel. I asked my wife to cancel Brinks and just sign up with another security company which she again got transferred several times by Brinks. A day later, she finally got a confirmation that it will be cancelled. Unbelievable experience and never again. I've never heard of such bad customer service until now. Recording of the calls should be reviewed for proof and to help train future Brinks customer service staff.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Carlo, This is very alarming as we never want a customer to home to be broken into. Here at Brinks your safety and security is our top priority and with this being said allow us to investigate this matter promptly to ensure a amicable resolution. I have located your account with us and I will be sure to reach out to you as soon as possible. -Jacob B

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brinks Home Security™?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I called to cancel my service today because I found a much better deal with another company. They told me that we still have a contract and cannot cancel without paying $2,000. The other company was going to give us an outside camera, inside camera, and doorbell camera with the package, and we have nothing like that with Brinks. I asked for a deal on a camera package and was told there was nothing they could do. So basically I'm stuck with crappy service, no cameras, and an expensive monthly fee for three more years. The worst part, though, is that I asked to speak to a manager 4 times and the sales rep refused. It's absolutely pathetic that a company this big will not allow you to speak to a manager. I was stonewalled. I am incredibly unhappy and will warn everyone against this unethical company.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Brandt, Here at Brinks knowing a customer wants to cancel there services with us is something we don't like to hear because it leaves you a chance at being unprotected. We want ever customer to be satisfied with there system, with this being said allow me to look into this matter. My name is Jacob and I have located your account with us and I will be sure to reach out to you as soon as possible. -Jacob B

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

We are an existing business customer with two locations. We informed Brinks we would be moving one location to a new address and expected at least a 9 month lapse in need for service. We were told on the phone they would suspend the account and stop auto billings until we and resume service at the new location.

Brinks continued to auto-bill us for 9 months before we discovered it. There was no alarm system in place at the old location or the new location during this period. Construction delays caused the new building to be delayed even further. When we discovered we were still being billed we called Brinks. They denied knowledge of being able to suspend the account. We then went online to terminate the service agreement. I called again and explained the situation

to Rod in the Retention Department Sept 17, 2018 and he agreed to reverse and credit the last billing of-of $95.31. He recognized that we had already paid 9 months with no service provided. Rod said he could not send us an email with what he promised because the system would not let him do that.

The credit Rod promised was not issued and they sent the $95.31 to collections resulting in 2 calls per day. Very annoying. We have been on the phone twice trying to get this resolved. We get passed around between collections and service with nothing getting resolved. We are a long term customer and always pay our bills. We continue to pay our bill on the other location.

But at Brinks they are so impersonal and departmentalized that they abuse their customers. 1) They did not have a "suspend the account" feature they told us about - they just continue to auto-bill you. 2) They lie on the phone saying they will document the issue and do not. I have asked them to read the notes from prior phone call and they do not have notes. 3) When they say they will issue a credit it does not happen. 4) They pass the buck to a different department if the customer has a legitimate problem. Then they usually seem to hang up on you when they go to transfer you to the other department. Clearly they are not customer service oriented. Their main concern is collecting the money and not working with the customer to resolve a legitimate problem.

My advice: Don't use Brinks. Someday you may have a dispute or need to terminate your service. They don't care about the customer. They just want the money. $95.31 is peanuts to our company but the principle is what is important: Treat the customer fairly. Brinks does not. What will I do? I will give it one more try to get this resolved. If not resolved I will move our other location away from Brinks. When the new building comes online it also will not go to Brinks. I will find a company that treats us fair.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Cole, Here at Brinks we know moving and building a new facility can be difficult enough and we never mean to make any request a difficult one. With this being said allow me to investigate this matter promptly to ensure a speedy resolution. My name is Jacob and I have located your account with us and I will be sure to reach out to you after I complete my investigation. -Jacob B

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Got 3 systems from Brinks for 3 alarms systems. First one would not activate. Called about 8 times to Nest and Brinks. No one could figure it out... Told me to keep waiting 24 to 48 hours. Nothing... Tried 2nd system... Got activated and then it sent alarm out to police, unit was never armed! I just spent 4 hours calling Nest and Brinks to have all this removed and canceled off my account. I never in my life seen a security system that takes 24 to 48 hours to activate. Neither Nest or Brinks has any tech support to figure out any involved issues. This system needs to go back to R and D as it has many bugs and issues that are not able to be found very easily. I spent 10 hours and got nowhere with this system.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Lawrence, Hearing of the issues you are having issues with your systems is alarming because we have a dedicated customer tech support team who are fully trained to assist with all your needs. We would love to look into this matter to ensure a speedy resolution, unfortunately we have not been able to locate your account based off of the information provided.If you could please send me a direct message through here and I would be happy to reach out to you to resolve this matter. -Jacob B

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

We were switched to Brinks when our previous company sold to them. We called and cancelled our service in March, 2017, had it taken out and signed with ADT before leaving on an extended trip with no internet access. We didn't know we had to complete their internet only cancellation notice. When they didn't receive it they continued collecting payments for service, even changing our payment amount over the course of that time with no notification to me. Through a series of mix UPS, I didn't realize it until September, 2018, when I called and received another cancellation form, which I promptly sent back. They still collected a payment in October - per their 30 day cancellation policy. There will be no refund, I'm told, due to their policy.

What company doesn't follow up when they don't receive the required paperwork? Brinks! I'm out a bunch of money, have never received another notice from Brinks in all that time. What, they don't know they aren't connected to my house any longer? What kind of company runs like that? Brinks! Terrible, terrible customer service on their cancellation policy, with no way to solve it satisfactorily. In other words, I (customer) didn't follow their rules, so tough. I would never recommend this company. I feel that I need a home security plan for their home security.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Susan, Here at Brinks knowing a customer is wanting to part ways with us is something we never like to hear , because that means leaving that person unprotected. Notheless we never mean to make any request a difficult one, with this being said allow me to look into this matter promptly. We have located your account with us and will be sure to reach out to you as soon as possible. -Jacob B

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I have been a Monitronics (Brinks) customer for over 13 years and had technical issues throughout. During the summer of 2016, we were traveling overseas and had to be sure that our alarm would not set itself off randomly, as this was happening from time to time and alerting the police. We contacted support and they agreed to upgrade the system, with an apparent 42-month contract. I was not aware of this contract, but it seems they have my voice recorded and keep rubbing it my face. However, now thinking back I believe I was feeling major pressure to get this issue fixed so I could feel secure while I was travelling. I would have agreed to anything during this time and they knew it and exploited my vulnerabilities.

Fast forward 2 years later we continue to have problems with the system. We have door sensors that randomly say they were tampered and chirp all night keeping my family awake. After fiddling them they seem to stop for a while. We also have a keypad in our bedroom that my wife wanted for easy access to a panic button in the middle of night. The most recent issue was another sensor failure that was reporting a malfunction, which started late on a Friday and did not stop chirping until tech support disabled it from the system. The surprising thing was, we never received a call stating our system was malfunctioning over the course of 4 days of being kept up at night by the chirping noise.

We ended up contacting tech support the following Monday to address the issues and our trust in the company quickly diminished. We were told that the sensor that was originally malfunctioning stopped, so they would not even look at it. The current failed sensor will take 7-10 days to be replaced and as for the keypad in our bedroom, they said it’s not even in the system and not compatible. To get everything addressed would be additional costs for each issue. I then considered cancelling my service only to discover I was locked into “verbal agreement” which prevented me from cancelling my service. Since then I have tried to settle this matter with their Facebook messenger app and speaking with customer service. It was during these conversations I totally lost faith in Brinks to secure my house.

After asking questions, it would take hours to get a response and it would be from a different person most of the time. They always say the same thing. “We have your voice saying “yes” so you're stuck with us unless you want to buy out the contract”. The last call I made to Brinks was simply asking to cancel my account. They said I would be billed until the end of the contract term, which is 18 months from now, but put my account in “Test mode” so it’s virtually ineffective now. At this point I would really appreciate help to cancel my service and waive my current verbal agreement, so I’m no longer billed. As stated above, I wasn’t aware of this verbal agreement and felt great pressure to have a working system while I was overseas. The pressure I felt may be reason why I didn’t process the fact that the solution to the technical issue equated to a 42-month contact after being a loyal customer for 10 years at the time.

I sent a very similar letter to Jeff Gardner - CEO of Brinks and to my surprise, I received no help or even an acknowledgment the e-mail was received. I don’t think I should be responsible for a contract that I was not even aware and beside that the price increases at least 2 times per year. Why would anyone agree to a contract like this? There hundreds are not thousands of people complaining about the same thing and it's shocking a class action lawsuit has not been filed.

Currently the alarm system is sitting in a Ziplock bag just as effective in this condition as when it was connected to their system, since I was not receiving any calls when my door was malfunctioning and never knew about the keypad in the bedroom not “hooked up”. What if we had to use the panic button and it did nothing? This could be been a real problem. I really need help to cut all ties with this company while ensuring they will not file to claim to a credit bureau. It’s a shame I must worry about this from a company that is supposed to make you feel safe.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Brinks is the a horrible company, I have rented my house and they won't let the new owners take over the service threatening to bill me for over 54 months left. Their hold time is unbelievably long and everyone very rude and dismissive. Run from this business.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Jamie, Oh no we never like to hear of any bad experiences within our organization. Here at Brinks we want our customers to feel satisfied with us. With this being said allow me to look into this matter promptly, I have located your account with us. I will be sure to reach out to you asap. -Jacob B

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

My wife and I both lost our jobs in April. I called Brinks (formally with MONI), and they were very gracious to give me a credit for 3 months since I have had them for over 7 years, they also reduced my monthly rate to $29.99! My wife still has not found work, I had started working but unfortunately that fell through. I called Brinks today to inform them that I would not be able to make payment as food and the mortgage were my top priorities at the moment. I asked if the account could be placed on hold temporarily and was told NO.

I asked if we could lower the payments any, I was told NO. I asked if I could cancel service and I was told NO. I literally had one of the worst customer service experiences of my life; with a company I have done business with for over 7 years and at a very tough time in my life. Apparently when I called in April they extended my contract until 2021! At a time when my wife and I were both unemployed. I really expected more from them.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Sean, We are so sorry to hear of your recent situation. Here at Brinks we care for all of our customers satisfaction at the end of the day. Allow us to research this matter promptly, I have located your account with us and I will be sure to reach out to you to resolve this matter. -Jacob B

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

All the people that I’ve dealt with at Brinks were very knowledgeable and professional. My call was handled very well by their reps. The team who installed the system was very proficient and very professional. They did a good job installing my system. I have the thermostat which I can control by Bluetooth and I love it. I also have the cameras from the front where doorbell is, which is ideal. It lets me have a chance to look at who is knocking on my door.

The system is a little expensive as far as the monthly cost, but that also includes the equipment. I know nothing comes free and I pay for what I get. And if Brinks offers another camera that could be a part of my system, I would jump on it with full speed. It is very important to be able to sit there and see when I’m away from home and look at what is going on with my property.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Charles, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us this amazing feedback. This is the exact experience we strive for when assisting our customers. We are so happy to have made yet another person feel safe and secure in there home. We look forward to protecting and serving you for many years to come. -Jacob B

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I called Brinks and canceled my service on Sept 21, 2018. I spoke with the manager (Mr. **) and notified him of our intention to cancel home security services. After stating that intention, Mr. ** pretended not to hear me and hung up on me. On Sept 24, 2018, I send a priority mail letter to Brink and again notified Brinks of our termination. We have the right to do so because contract with Brinks expired years ago. We are not obligated to continue service with Brinks. I still continue to receive bills from Brinks. There is no basis for Brinks to bill us. STOP HARASSING US.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Taan, Hearing your recent experience with us is shocking. We never want to hear of a customer being treated this way, allow me to look into this matter promptly. I have located your account with us and will be sure to reach out to you asap to ensure a amicable resolution. -Jacob B

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

We had a very good salesperson at Brinks, Sylvester. He pointed out the benefits and was very good at following up and answering our questions. He made it pretty seamless and showed us the value for what we were paying. We've gotten frustrated a few times with the alarm going off, but that's our own fault. One night, I went to punch in the code and I hit a wrong number, and all of sudden, I got text messages and phones ringing. Other than that, it's fairly easy to use. I travel a lot for work and the system gives me a sense of security when I'm gone and my wife's home alone. We have a pretty minimal system and we've even thought about expanding at some point.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Chip,These are the type of reviews we strive to receive. It just goes to show that we are headed down the right path and able to meet all of our standards that we have set for ourselves. As we want to ensure that our customers are receiving the service you all deserve. Thanks for sharing! -Jacob B

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Being a customer with Brinks has been a bad experience to say the least. Every time I try to call and cancel they give me the runaround and threaten credit reporting and contracts. I am moving out of town and need to cancel and it seems like all I get is the runaround. Please DO NOT sign up with Brinks or Monitronics which is now owned by BRINKS. Go with RING or COMCAST. Someone who won't give you the run around when life changes.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Nicole,We never like to hear that a customer is having issues with there account. Here at brinks, our customer satisfaction means the world to us and knowing we couldn't provide you with such , breaks our hearts. With this being said, allow us to research this matter and resolve it amicably. I have located your account with us and I will be sure to reach out to you asap. -Jacob B

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I stayed on the phone for over 45 minutes just to be able to talk to someone to cancel the service. Finally got a confirmation that the service was cancelled on July 6th. 50 days later they have a recurring charge on my CC for over $23. $23.00 for which I never saw a bill for nor received an explanation for. I had to put a block on my credit card for this company. Luckily my credit card reimbursed me the theft of $23.00 from Brinks Home Security and will not allow Brinks to charge anything else to my card.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Rick,Here at Brinks a customers satisfaction means the world to us and to know we could have done something to make you feel other wise is shocking. My name is Jacob and allow me to look into this matter promptly, I have located your account with us and I will be sure to reach out to you asap. -Jacob B

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Shortly after my wife and I bought our house in 2015 a Monitronics representative showed up and told us about the alarm system that was offered in our area. We liked it and went ahead and signed up, now at the time it was for a 2 year contract. When we sold our house a little over a year later I called Moni (as it was called then) to let them know we were moving, and to ask what I needed to do. They told me to leave the system in place and I would have a brand new system installed in my new house. I was ok with that. They came out to the new house after we moved in and installed the same system that we had in the old house but we added a outdoor camera. Everything went smooth.

Now we have since sold that house and again was told to just leave the system. I called to find out what needed to happen because we are just renting for now and didn't want to have anything permanent installed. They told me that they have a new system that has a tablet like panel, I was ok with that. Then the representative told me that I had to extend my contract to cover everything. I asked why and they said to cover all the costs of the equipment, I didn't want to extend because I was unsure that I wanted to even stay with them.

I was then informed that if the new owners decided to activate the alarm system that they could just take over the contract. The new owners did not want to use the system. During all of this I kept calling and asking Brinks to disconnect my account from the system in the old house. From my app I could still unlock front door and disarm the alarm. It took 8 phone calls and a whole lot of yelling for them to finally do it. That was the last straw for me and I told them that I did not want to do business with a company that would do that to a person, imagine knowing that just because you have that system in a house that you buy someone could still have access to it.

Now I am being told that I have to buy the new system outright for $1k or extend the contract for 36 months and pay $500. I told them to just cancel it and they told me that I was on a 5 year contract, that was news to me. Have asked to talk to a supervisor and get the same BS every time that someone would get back to me (NEVER HAPPENS). Customer service is constantly rude and dismissive. Hope this helps someone avoid the same.

Brinks Home Security™ response

John, We definitely understand that moving can make things difficult as is and we never mean to make things more difficult. This kind of experience you speak of is the exact opposite of what we strive to achieve here at Brinks with this being said allow me to look into this matter promptly. I have located your account with us and will be sure to reach out to you asap. -Jacob B

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

My wife and I were both out of work and could no longer afford to make payments on our system. We canceled the account. Collections started to make harassing phone calls and when I told them we canceled, they started setting the alarm off every morning at 5 am for a week until I had it disconnected.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Martin, Here at Brinks we care for our customers day in and day out and this is especially with there safety. We would like express our sincerest apologies to your recent job loss, we are always here to help. Allow me to look into this matter, my name is Jacob and I have located your account with us. I will be sure to reach out to you asap. -Jacob B

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

My name is Rich and I am writing this for my brother as he is the one trying to cancel his security service with Brinks and he has no computer. He is on a limited income and the monthly price has gone up to 60+ dollars a month. When he called to cancel his first problem was he could not remember the code word as he has not used the service for 4 years. Then, when they did identify him they said he could not cancel over the phone but had to write a letter. This is somewhat difficult with his arthritic hands and he just wanted to be able to settle it over the phone but they refused. He is a retired disabled factory worker and a veteran and I think a little leeway should be considered for his plight. I am willing to write letter but have no information on who and where to send it to.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I received a Brinks marketing post on Instagram, The ad stated the price of the system was $99, with a $29 monthly fee. I received my credit card statement and was charge $542 by Brinks not the Advertiser's price of $99. Buyers beware of false advertising. I am praying Brinks sends me a refund asap.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Michael, Hearing your recent interaction with us is shocking. Here at Brinks we always like to make sure we are being very tight nit. With this being said I would be happy reach out to you and resolve this matter, I have located your account with us and I will be sure sure to reach out to you. -Jacob B

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Ten years ago, I got to talk to a man who was exhibiting Monitronics at an event where I was also an exhibitor. At that point in time, Monitronics was a division of ADT and I was familiar with ADT. The pricing was also right and the man didn't try to sell me a bunch of things I didn't need. Then, my wife and I talked about buying a home security system, and we went ahead with them.

The package we got just fit in to what we wanted to do. My wife and I both work and our kids are away. I was working for a company that had a travel club, and we were doing some traveling overseas. It was gonna advertise things where people could go to the page and say, "Oh, he's gonna be gone." One time while we were out of the country, I had a person come over to mow grass. I do not have the door of the garage door covered, but there's a glass break in there. The person proceeded to start the lawn mower and before he could take it outside, the glass alarm was set off. So, I got a call and I happened to think that the person was cutting grass. I called the person and he was there and told him that the police are gonna come.

I've also had an issue with what they said is a cell phone that keeps at a contact when the power goes out. Two young men came out and they did some work on one of the meters or sensors at the door and fixed it, so it was a good experience. We also use the app and it's been working well. I arm the system through Alarm.com. We have a cleaning lady and we can see when she comes and when she leaves. The biggest thing though was my wife and I both got new iPhone 10s and we had to reprogram the passwords because we never used them before. But, we were able to find them. Other than those issues, I have no complaints. Everything that Brinks is doing after they purchased Monitronics is still working.

Brinks Home Security™ response

William, These are the type of reviews we strive to receive. It just goes to show that we are headed down the right path and able to meet all of our standards that we have set for ourselves. As we want to ensure that our customers are receiving the service you all deserve. Thanks for sharing! -Jacob B

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I have been a customer with Monitronics for 10 years. Due to treatment of an incurable form of lymphoma I have been on disability and need to cut my living expenses. I called Brinks to cancel my service but was offered a significant reduction on my bill. I balked but eventually agreed to continue at this reduced rate. Fast forward six months, now I’ve decided to sell my home. I called to cancel my service again and now they are saying I’m locked into a contract because I accepted their lower rate offer.

There was never any mention of a new contract or commitment when they lowered my rate but they insist that I am obligated to continue with the service. My wife took over this battle and was told that we were all done and they would stop taking payments from our checking account. Well they did stop taking it out automatically but now I get a paper bill in the mail. This situation has caused me more grief than all of my chemo treatments, stem cell transplant and surgeries combined. Thank you Brinks for making what time I have left as miserable as you possibly can.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Daniel, We would like to express our sincerest condolences in regards to your health condition. Here at Brinks we care for all of our customers to the fullest extent and with this being said we would love to research this matter and address it accordingly. My name is Jacob and I have located your account with us and I will be sure to reach out to you as soon as possible. -Jacob B

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Brinks has billed me for service when my account was suspending. The signed contract had no date to restart services at the new location. I recently moved homes, before moving I called LiveWatch (recently acquired by Brinks) to suspend my account during the move as the alarm was staying with the old home. I was told Brinks would reach out in a few months once I was settled in to work with me on a new system design and during this time no billing would occur - they never reached out.

The move agreement had a clear termination date for services at the old location and the start date for the services at the new site was TBD. Three months later they start charging me again claiming they only offered a 3mo move window and they were billing me for service at the old site which the contract clearly states was terminated. When I called them they fought me to escalate the issue, once escalated they refused a refund even given the agreement terms. Brinks will not honor their agreements and frankly is unjustly enriching themselves charging for a service they aren't delivering.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Kevin, We knowing moving can be stressful enough, please know that we always strive to provide the best possible experience. It is very shocking that this wasn't the case for you and we are sorry for that. Allow us to make this matter right, I have located your account with us and I'll be happy to reach out to you as soon as possible. -Jacob B

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I originally contracted my home security with ADT; a 2 year agreement. When that agreement was met I ended it and chose to go with Monitronics as my security company. The person that came to my house told me that it was Monitronics that paid for the original install of all the equipment but that ADT did the monitoring, a lie I later found out. When all was said and done the system was all set up and working and the tech left. All went well. After a time if I remember right just before the 2 year agreement was over Monitronics changed its name to MONI then not long after that it sold out to Brinks then the price went up. I called wanting to end my contract because the 2 year agreement was up. That's when I was told I was in a 5 year contract but they didn't know why since all the contracts were 2 years.

I told them they broke the contract by going up on the price but they told me all they were required to do was refund me the overcharge and continue with the contract at said price. I managed to get it a dollar lower. Then I moved and was forced to take the security system with me or buy out the remaining contract. After it's all set up in the new home I am charged $99.00 and was told that 12 additional months are added to the original contract which still had a couple years left from the original 5 years and that I agreed to those terms. I was not giving any proof of my supposed recorded statement nor the original contract that showed I indeed signed a 5 year contract. I never signed any agreement or contract with Brinks and I cannot get out of the contract unless I pay it out. If you are thinking of getting a Home security system check with a local company DO NOT deal with any door to door salesman for security.

They are all out of state and do not care about you. Only what they can stick you with and how to keep you under contract for as long as possible. Even after your contract is up. Most of these companies have some sort of system in place designed to trick or force you into another contract. Some won't stop billing you even after you cancel the contract after your agreement time is over. Again I repeat. Never NEVER go with any alarm company that sends a door to door salesman into your area. You will regret it. Brinks Home Security is not a good company to deal with. AGAIN Brinks Home Security is not a good company to deal with. Do your research and do it on local companies. NEVER no matter how good a review online is DO NOT go with an out of state home security company.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Wayne, We never like to hear that a customer is having issues with there account. Here at brinks, our customer satisfaction means the world to us and knowing we couldn't provide you with such , breaks our hearts. With this being said, allow us to research this matter and resolve it amicably. I have located your account with us and I will be sure to reach out to you asap. -Jacob B

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Prior to having Brinks' system, I really liked the first unit I got with my previous provider but then my window wasn't wired. A salesman came along and said that he had worked for my previous company and that it was changing hands. He also said he could change my existing unit and do the windows as well. At the time, he said that it would be no problem to switch over, not realizing that I was still in a contract with the first company.

When the salesman was talking to me, I wanted to call my first provider but then he kept saying that we should just write them a letter. He wrote one out and I signed it but I didn't realize I was in an existing contract either. He had his telecom job equipment that night and he gave it to us. When the salesman was installing the new equipment, he had a hard time and he kept saying it was because of something about the way the previous provider rigged up my first system. In the bedroom, it wasn't right and installing took him a lot longer than he thought. Thereafter, I had no use for what he replaced so I threw it and the garbage man took it away. The first company then wanted to charge me $600 because I had gotten rid of their equipment and I was switching providers.

I got the salesman thereafter and he paid half of the cost. I found out from my first company that I could have made the salesman switch me back but then we already threw the equipment. That really upset me. Furthermore, with the unit I have at my door, I don't like how I have to close the door to set off the alarm. Also, at one point in time, our alarm kept going off and Brinks had to end up sending someone out here to fix it. The salesman claimed it was something to do to the wiring of the first system that I had.

Nevertheless, I think I have a good system from Brinks. I like the idea of the glass breakage thing and the motion detector because not all my windows are hooked up. Also, I like using my system through the app. I'd rather not give my password when we have to have someone come to our house so I just shut my security system off. Though my Brinks system is expensive, it's worth it for the protection.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Vicki, Thank you for taking the time to leave us this amazing feedback.These are the type of reviews we strive to receive. It just goes to show that we are headed down the right path and able to meet all of our standards that we have set for ourselves. As we want to ensure that our customers are receiving the service you all deserve. Thanks for sharing! -Jacob B

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Absolutely horrendous. My business has done business with Brinks for 6 years. I gave them a two months heads up about our new location and grand opening that we needed a security system, they let me know two weeks prior that they are not going to do it. Terrible customer service and response time.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

After being offered 2 do-it-yourself cameras (that you can purchase for about 80 dollars at hardware store) which did not tie into my system Moni became Brinks and inherited my new 36 month "extended" contract with $53 dollar per month charge on a 4 year old system. I have since switched to a new company and have requested a bill several times but to no avail. Instead I have called 3 times and been treated rudely and told various stories when just trying to get a final invoice to pay to get me away from this company and out of this contract. My mother who also had this system had so many issues with low battery etc. she finally canceled her service with Brinks too. The quality of service is poor all around.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Staci, We are sorry to heat that a loyal customer like yourself is wanting to part ways with us. Please know that we never mean to make any request a difficult one, with this being said. I have located your account with us and I will be sure to reach out to you asap. -Jacob B

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have been trying to close my account for over 90 days. I was a customer for 8 years and when I called to close the account I was informed that I was placed in a 36 month contract without my knowledge. I requested they close my account and I agreed to pay the remaining balance but instead they insist on keeping the account active and suggested I pay monthly until the contract ends. I informed them that I rather terminate the contract than keep it active but despite emails and multiple calls I have yet to receive a buyout amount and cancellation letter. Closing the account has been extremely frustrating and I will NEVER do business with this company again!!

Brinks Home Security™ response

Erica, We never like to hear that a customer is wanting to part ways with us, regardless we never want to make any request a difficult one. Here at Brinks we like to make every interaction with our customers as smoothly as possible, with this being said allow me to look into this matter for you. I have located your account with us and I will be sure to reach out to you as soon as possible to address your concerns. -Jacob B

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I called in today to cancel my service and in my attempt the customer service rep - Andrea stated I cannot due to I signed an agreement in 2015 which therefore it is not up until 2020. I did not sign anything in 2015 and my initial agreement was signed in 2010 and therefore would be eligible to cancel but she kept saying, "No it was signed in 2015," and I finally got her to transfer me to a manager - Jose - ID #** and he said it was signed but NOT DATED in 2015 and placed me on hold for 30 min. To find when the contract was dated. To discover he found that the contract was signed in 2010 and then tells me that, "Our policies do an auto-renew if we don’t hear from you," which why didn’t he tell me that the 1st time when supposedly found the contact in 2015. You will never get out of your contract and will have to pay the heavy penalty fee. This terrible company.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Jesica, Here at Brinks a customers satisfaction means the world to us and to know we could have done something to make you feel other wise is shocking. My name is Jacob and allow me to look into this matter promptly, I have located your account with us and I will be sure to reach out to you asap. -Jacob B

Brinks Home Security™ expert review by Erin Raub

Formerly MONI Security, Brinks offers 3 security packages with free equipment and DIY installation. Prices start at $34.95 a month, with 36-60 month contracts for home automation and security with a lifetime warranty.

• Brinks home security systems: Choose from two systems: Home Complete with monitoring for $39/month and Home Complete with Video and monitoring for $49/month.

• 90-day trial: Try your Brinks home security system for 90 days before deciding whether or not it’s right for you.

• Add-on items: Add-on home automation equipment, security cameras and sensors like smoke and flood detectors.

• Backup power sources & monitoring: Redundancy is the name of the game: two power sources ensure you never lose security coverage, and multiple monitoring channels­–Internet, phone line and cellular–guarantee your system is always connected to the monitoring station.

• Easy to move: These DIY systems are easy to take with you when you move into a new home. Let Brinks know when you’ve made the move. You’ll pay the same rate per month unless you add on additional features.

Profile picture of Erin Raub
Erin Raub Alarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.

Brinks Home Security™ Company Information