Consumer Reviews and Complaints

MONI Security

Janne, This is great news! The new MONI is focused on ensuring our customers receive the latest and greatest technology, as we are committed to staying on top of the many changes in the ever-evolving alarm industry. To know that we have accomplished an excellent customer service experience with you, means everything to MONI. Thank you for being a huge part of our MONI family. -Ashley C.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I've been using the services of MONI since about 2013. I've had different security systems before, and MONI is better than the other security service providers. I like their prices better. And now, with MONI's latest technology, their systems are really modern and nice. I've dealt with their customer service reps many times, and they're very nice, and always helpful and solve problems very quickly. I sent the property manager out to meet the installers but during the first time, I had a technician that was a dealer for MONI, and he was wonderful. The MONI guys should just keep doing what they're doing. One thing I really appreciate is that people answer on the phone, which is very important. When you call MONI, it doesn't take half an hour waiting on the phone.

MONI Security

Lorraine, It means the world to us to know that we are able to satisfy your security needs. We know that every moment matters, which is why we strive to deliver the fastest response time to our customers. We thank you for choosing MONI, and appreciate that you would recommend us to others. -Ashley C.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

MONI happened to be in the neighborhood at the time, and I listened to the benefits and everything that they offered. Their prices were a little cheaper than the one I already had so I switched. I feel safer knowing that I have the security on my house. If the alarm happened to go off for any reason, the telephone rang to make sure everything was okay. I appreciate that and would definitely recommend them.

MONI Security

Joseph, We love you as well! It is the best feeling in the world for us to know that we were able to deliver you exception service. We strive to always be here when you need us, and I am glad to know that we have been able to do that with you every time. -Ashley C.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I love MONI. The customer service representatives are respectful and the technical support always gets me through my issues. One of their techs came out and made some upgrades and it was awesome. Any kind of technical issues I have when I want to change some feature about my access, they always get the job done.

MONI Security

John, We value all of our customers and want nothing but the best for every single one of them. I am sorry to hear that we have caused you dissatisfaction with the pricing. Please know that we never intended to upset our customers, and more importantly we would love the opportunity to rectify this matter. I have located your account and will contact you to assist you further. -Ashley C.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

MONI bought out the security company I was with and I've been using MONI's services for four years now. But they jacked up the price on the monthly service which I'm not happy about. I used to be with ADT and after the contract, they started hitting me up for a few dollars each month. They do it in such small increments to where they feel that the customer's not going to notice. But over time it starts to add up and it's frustrating to me because I don't believe that a person who's a loyal customer should have their rates increased every year. Usually after about three years after the contract concludes then I change companies for that reason. I don't like companies that do that and I try to do what I can. I expressed my concerns before I even signed the contract and explained to them what I was going do if they start jacking up their prices like they are. But we'll see if we can come to some agreement. If not, then I'm going go back to ADT.

MONI Security

Nyesha, I cannot begin to express how concerned your review has left me. We never want to make any request from our customers difficult, and I am sorry that this was not the case for you. I have located your account and will look into this matter more in depth to provide you with a resolution. I will contact you directly, once I have completed my research. -Ashley C.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

I canceled my service with them and my contract was over however, they continued to still charge me. I called more than once and was told to send in a letter which I did. The payments were stopped and then started backed. I have been charged for service even though I don't have service and just now got another form to complete to re-cancel service (even though they told me they see that I haven't had service at my home for years). Still haven't received my money back in my account or any follow up from them in regards to it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MONI?

MONI Security

Jerry, We know that every moment matters, and to see that we have been able to assist you with any and all concerns in a timely matter, means that we are headed in the right direction. I will also be sure to share this positive review with the installer, as I know he will be happy to know what a great job he did. We thank you for choosing MONI, and look forward to many more years with you. -Ashley C.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

I've been using MONI for two and a half years. A salesman approached me when they were in the area through direct marketing. The guy who came in and installed it was also professional. And when I had some technical issues they resolved it immediately. Their customer service reps have been very good.

MONI Security

Gareld, We strive to provide our customers with exceptional service, and it makes me jump for joy when I read reviews where we were able to do just that. We thank you from the bottom of our heart for trusting in MONI to give you the peace of mind. -Ashley C.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

We had Monitronics before they changed names. Their customer service has been very good. One of the things I was concerned about was having a 90-second delay upon entry before the alarm would sound. I had no idea that I could set it to go off instantly and they were able to walk me through that. I've also had three other phone calls and everybody's been helpful. Since getting MONI, I have more peace of mind.

MONI Security

Maria, Here at MONI, we know that every moment matters, which is why we are happy that you have chosen MONI. We aim to deliver a peace of mind to our customers by providing the fastest response time. We really appreciate you choosing MONI as your alarm provider, and am happy to have you as a part of the family. -Ashley C.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I never owned a security system, but the guy that came to my house explained a lot of the very good features on it. I’m a single woman so I decided to go ahead and get MONI. The attention to detail was the most positive part of my experience with them. There was a guy who went to install it and he followed-up with me to make sure that I understood the whole program. With MONI, I have more peace of mind.

MONI Security

Michelle, I cannot express how happy it makes me to see how pleased you are with our overall customer service. We know that every moment matters, which is why it bring me joy to know we have been there for you every time you needed us. We are thankful for you allowing us to be the company to give you that peace of mind. -Ashley C.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I have totally less worries since having MONI. I always have questions about how to bypass certain doors or windows or how to put a temporary user code for construction people and MONI's customer service has been really good. When I called the other day because one of the magnets fell off my door, the rep I spoke with sent me out some replacement which I got yesterday.

MONI Security

Sean, Reading your review and the type of service experience you received, has me at a loss for words. We never want our customers to endure anything like this, and I am beyond sorry to hear that you had to. We are currently investigating this matter to get a resolution for you. Once we have completed the research, we will be sure to contact you directly and rectify this matter. -Ashley C.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

In May 2014 we bought an alarm system from Monitronics the Simon XTi made from GE. It worked good for 2 years but then it failed. I spent much time with customer service taking apart the unit until they finally decided to dispatch a technician to my house when they discovered it was a major problem. Then, the service technician cancelling and rescheduling occurred over and over until I was fed up. They claim that they will try to fix my unit, but at this point I was too mad to continue and wanted out. I tried to cancel but could not. I tried to get my unit fixed but they cancelled and made me work on their schedule.

They continued to debit my checking account and I was unhappy and upset. No resolution or follow-up to fix their product they knew was broken. As long as they get their money they don't care about your problems. They don't care that your home is unsafe. I tried cancelling 4 times from mid 2016 until today Feb 7, 2017. They charged me the full remaining 3 months for $122.00 today and allowed me to cancel, and provided me a courtesy 1 month credit for my problems. I warned the supervisor I would write a letter how upset I am and he didn't care. I want a full years refund for the horrible customer service and headaches I have had to deal with while my product didn't work. Preventative maintenance should be their responsibility as I pay for a working unit. They knew my unit was broken and unresponsive for over 12 months and did nothing to fix it but schedule a service call only to cancel it.

When I admitted I haven't been using their product for over a year because of the continued loud, obnoxious beeping they did not care. They took my $40 every month and I finally gave up trying to reason with them to fix it. They got 35 out of 36 payments from me and blamed me for the problems. Worst company ever, I will never sign any type of long-term contract again. Horrible customer service, but why should they, they have you under a contract, and that was my mistake. I was able to cancel early, but they charged me for 3 months as my term expired May 2017. How can a company stay in business like this. Shame on you.

MONI Security

Ann, We are very grateful to have you as a part of the MONI family. We aim to stay competitive with our prices, as we want to please our customers in every aspect possible. I would like to apologize for the service issue that occurred, but I am glad to see that this matter was resolved. We thank you for the recommendations and for choosing MONI as your alarm provider.If there is anything further that I may assist you with, please don't hesitate to call me directly at 1-888-758-5900 ext. 70248. -Ashley C.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

We felt secure with the other security system we had but we had an opportunity to get the same kind of coverage for about half the price with MONI. We have had people from MONI out in our house to work on our alarm system because we have had very faulty parts installed by the first company we were with and then a few from MONI but they were replaced for us. The only thing that we have wished about customer service, and we thought that we were getting this when we changed from our other company, is we thought that we would be getting service within 24 hours when we called, and that has not been the case. It has been a week or maybe more before we could get service. We could not use one of the alarms and had to bypass it and we had to leave town, so we were not very happy about having to wait. That's our only complaint but we would probably recommend MONI Security.

MONI Security

April, Having a customer for 12 years is beyond amazing! MONI having long time customers such as yourself, let's us know that we are doing a great job with the service and experience we are providing. I am also very happy that we were able to resolve all of your concerns to your satisfaction. We look forward to many more years with you! -Ashley C.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

We had MONI in our previous home for about 12 years and so I wanted to keep the same contract. I've talked to the customer service team and it was a fine experience. I've had some problems with the new system and they walked me through what to do and fixed the problem.

MONI Security

Mary, Although I am very happy to see how pleased you are with our service, I am sorry that you've been having issues with your camera. I would love to reach out to you directly so that we can resolve this issue, and you can retain your peace of mind with the system. I have your account located and will reach out to you to assist you further with this matter. -Ashley C.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

I've had the same security system for about 12 years. It keeps changing names and I didn't even know it went to MONI. But it's been fine for us and I don't have any problem with it. I called their customer service and they answer pretty quick. They've been good about all the phone calls I've ever made and they lowered our fee so that was a bonus. We have the camera and we're supposed to have the Monitronics app, but apparently, that doesn't work. When I'm out and about, if I'm able to take a picture from the inside of my house to see if everything is okay, the camera won't let me take the picture. I've taken the app, downloaded and deleted it, and put it back on but it doesn't seem to be logging the picture and I can't figure out how to get them up.

MONI Security

John, The customer service you received is an exact replica of where we are headed as a company. We always want to ensure we are providing our customers with the absolute best service possible. We thank you for allowing MONI to be the company to provide you with a peace of mind. -Ashley C.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

We had service with a security provider and MONI bought our contract from them. When we needed to have a repair done, I spoke with people from MONI and their customer service was better than I expected. I had issues with the system where the sensors weren't working and we had no sense of security. They had this program where there was a $25 fee and it would be added to my bill so I didn’t have to exchange money with the service repair guy. I told them to go ahead with it and the repair guy came out, fixed it all up and was done with his service call in a matter of 45 minutes. Our system was working again and I’m a happy camper. Having that great experience, I should’ve called sooner.

MONI Security

Maurice, I would like to start by saying thank you for being apart of the MONI family. Your interaction with MONI is exactly want we want to provide to every single one of our customers. To know that we have been able to satisfy you with the service and experience, means the world to us. We look forward to many more years with you. -Ashley C.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

I chose MONI because of my previous experience with them. I have really good interactions with their customer service team. They are very positive and take care of any tech issues usually within a period of time. When my battery goes low, they will call and tell me I need to replace it. They treat me fine.

MONI Security

Sylvia, We know that every moment matters, so we take great pride in ensuring we are always here when you need us. We work hard so you can worry less. With that being said, I am very pleased to know that we are able to deliver a peace of mind to our valued customers. -Ashley C.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

Someone suggested MONI to me so I tried it and it seems to be okay. Their customer service people have been excellent and right on time. I had to call them about changing batteries and setting our own gear and somebody taught me how to do it. The technicians have been professional as well. I have more peace of mind since installing the security system.

Mr. Falcon,

It is very upsetting to see that you are dissatisfied with MONI, to the point that you are willing to cancel your account at the end of your term. I would like to apologize to you that this situation has occurred. We would never want to see our customers go, especially due to an issue in which we can resolve. I would love to speak with you regarding this issue. I will reach out to directly to discuss this further.

Sincerely,

Theresa T.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

When I was going down the list and called other providers, they never called me back. Then I have a neighbor across the street who got MONI Security's service. She was talking to me and it sounds like a good deal so I got it, too. The installation was good and it didn't take very long. However, the alarm started acting up and I called it in. It started beeping and having network failure. I tried to resolve it on the phone. They tried to fix it but it's still not fixed. I have an appointment today between 4:00 and 8:00 which is not a problem. The thing I didn't like is that they're gonna charge me $50 for service. I told MONI and they said, "Well, we're gonna waive it." I said it, "Well, wait a minute. Is this in the contract?" That's something I missed. Is that the way it works with this company now? I'm dissatisfied with the service. I'm going to look for another company as soon as the contract is up.

MONI Security

Joseph, I cannot express to you how good it feels to know our customers are truly being take care of here at MONI! This is an exact replica of the customer service experience we aim to provide each and every single one of our customers. We thank you for sharing this awesome review with us. -Ashley C.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

The installation of our MONI device went well and it didn't take the installers very long to finish. The customer service reps were very helpful and they got everything taken care of. A couple of times I had a low system battery that they had noticed and they gave me a call. I went to replace the battery and they walked me through it and everything has been fine.

MONI Security

Ann, Reading how happy and pleased you are with our service, has truly made my day! This is the type of service we aim to give all of our customers, as we know you make MONI. We look forward to many more years with you and thank you for choosing MONI. -Ashley C.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

I've been with Moni for a long time. I like the service I receive from them and am satisfied with the experience. Their technicians have always been professional.

MONI Security

Kristina, This is by far the opposite type of experience we want any of our customers to endure. I would like to personally apologize, as this type of customer service interaction is unacceptable and will be addressed accordingly. I have located your account and will begin researching this matter more in depth. Once I have completed my research, I will reach out to you directly to provide you with a resolution. -Ashley C.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

Super disappointed with Moni. Just got off the phone with a representative to cancel my service. Told him that my alarm had been offline and not communicating for over a month (and BEEPS constantly) with no luck getting a service person out to fix it. He went on to ask me if my home has been broken into within the 4 years I've been with them, guess that makes it ok?? He was so condescending. No my home has not been broken into but there has been homes broken into in my neighborhood. I should not have to justify that to them anyway. Moni gave me no choice but to cancel my contract, they did not hold up their end of the deal. I cannot listen to that BEEP anymore and pay for something that does not protect my home and my family. Not sure why they can never get anyone out to service the equipment. Super frustrated... Stay away.

MONI Security

Ben, It is very concerning to see that you have been receiving calls, especially if you are not a MONI customer. I have searched through our systems to see if I could locate an account with your number on it, but I have not been able to find anything. Please call me directly at 1-888-758-5900 est. 70248, so I may get additional information from you to help resolve this matter. -Ashley C.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

Monitronics has been "robocalling" my house at least a dozen times a day for over a month. I have spoken to several of their reps to inform them that I do not, nor have I EVER had their service. Each rep tells me that they are removing my number, but the calls continue. I do not, nor will I ever procure their services. If they can't accurately locate their customers, how can they protect your home. ADT for life.

MONI Security

Yolanda, It breaks my heart to see that you are cancelling your service with MONI. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you have had with trying to contact us to do so. I show that we were able to speak with you, but I would still like to contact you, to ensure that everything was taken care of to your satisfaction. -Ashley C.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

We were with Nationwide and I never noticed that it changed to MONI. I called the customer service some time back and that's when I discovered that. When we disconnected the service off, they sent an email but they didn't give me a number to call them. I had been calling Nationwide about four times but I never heard from them so I wrote a letter saying what date I canceled 'cause I got another company.

MONI Security

BIllie, We are very happy to know that you are satisfied with the level of service we provide. It means the world to us to see a valued customer be with us for as many years as you have. Thank you for choosing MONI. -Ashley C.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I used to have ADT but didn't like them at all. I chose Monitronics, and have been with them since 2013 and have been very happy.

MONI Security

Jerry, It brings me great joy to hear that you are happy with choosing MONI. We aim to ensure you and your wife stay very pleased with our service throughout the many years with us. Thank you! -Ashley C.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

We've been using MONI Security for 2 years now. So far so good, although my wife didn't want me to get it because I already got it before she had a chance to say something.

MONI Security

Patricia, I cannot express to you how amazing it is to hear our customers love the equipment and service we provide. Having the cameras offers you an additional sense of security. We thank you for choosing MONI! -Ashley C.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

The reps and installers of Moni were good. I have an outdoor camera and a doorbell and when you ring, it takes the picture. I have a camera in the back, too. I had ADT before and MONI's equipment is better. It doesn't just go off all the time. It also has a two-way and ADT didn't. However, I think that MONI can get some more equipment like Vivint.

MONI Security

Jerome, I am beyond happy to know that you have had a Super experience with the representatives you have worked with. I am also sorry for the billing issue that had occurred, in which I show through your account that we were able to resolve that matter. We aim to ensure our customers feel and know that they are safe with MONI, and it means the world to know that we have done that for you and your wife. -Ashley C.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

We had a neighbor who had MONI. She came over with a representative and we liked what we heard and so we bought in. We've called customer service several times. We got a phone call when we were away and it was on our answering machine that they had lost contact with us because the battery was out. It wasn't good but they came and replaced it, no charge.

Late November, we accidentally opened the garage door without turning off the alarm, and there was no alarm. We tested and tested it and the alarm didn't go. That door was not secured and we called them about that, and the tech that came out repaired and replaced it. He said it was faulty and then we got a bill for it. I called about it, and they said, "Well, that was an oversight on our part. There won't be a bill."

While we were on vacation, we got another bill for the same thing and they said if no action is taken before such date they will just debit it from my regular payment account. When I got back, I called. The date had expired, we hadn't seen the mail. The guy assured me that was another oversight. So that's at least three calls, none of them were good. But I haven't been robbed, so it's good and everybody that has been to our house, from the neighbor and the representative, to the four that installed the system and came out, they have been super. They have a great work staff and we have a good product. My wife worries more than I do and she's happy with MONI.

MONI Security

Johnny, We want nothing more than to provide a peace of mind to our customers through the alarm system. I am very sorry that you are having trouble with getting your system to function correctly. I have located your account and will have one of our Analyst reach out to you to assist you further with a resolution. -Ashley C.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

Lately, my alarm system has been going a little haywire because it's more likely old and needs some battery replacement. So I've been getting false alarms and even though they've been disarmed properly, they still send out the signal. There were a few times I've been calling them, not knowing that I was calling the wrong people - Alarm.com, and they corrected me and told me to go to MONI.

When I tried to get an appointment, they said they only do weekdays. If I wanted to do weekends, they would have a technician call me back in a couple of days. And he did but he left me hanging. Then I kept calling the customer service over the fact that the technician never called me back. They attempted to have another technician arrange another appointment, and each time it was the same thing to where I ended up with three false alarms. So it was frustrating that I couldn't get anybody to help me. I got an appointment eventually, but it had been after the holidays. I understand it was a busy time for them during the appointments. The technician who showed up pretty much did everything he could but noted to me that he did my carbon monoxide detector as it was about to expire. It was going off and saying service alert and I had to do another call for that.

MONI Security

Albert, we are happy to have you as part of the MONI family! I am excited to see that we have been able to provide you with a peace of mind. The experience you have described is exactly what we are aiming for. We thank you for choosing MONI. -Ashley C.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

I had another system and it had switched to ADT but it seemed the prices was going up all the time so I decided to switch to MONI. The rep was very knowledgeable and showed me exactly how to set up the security system and it was quick. When I come home at nighttime, I put it on and I feel more secure with it. All in all, I had a great experience with them.

MONI Security

Janise, Reading your review is music to my ears! We aim to provide our customers with the best possible experience, and it sounds as though we have done just that with you. We thank you for the recommendations and look forward to many more years with you. -Ashley C.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

We've had MONI for a long time. We had the one before them and they bought the company and they've just always been good. Any time we have a problem, we call and they take care of it. We've been used to them. Just recently it just seems like the'yve just gotten better and better. I would recommend them. It's been a great experience and I appreciate them.

MONI Security

Febbre, When it comes to our customers, even those who are cancelling, we never want to provide them with anything less than satisfactory service. I am beyond sorry to hear that you have not had a pleasant interaction with MONI. Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate an account for you; please send us a private response with your account information so we may assist you further. -Ashley C.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

Where do I start with this company: I have spoken with people over the phone and still don't feel secure with this company. First let me say this I wanted to cancel my alarm service and couldn't because I was in a contract which I was willing to pay and they still would not let me. So, please do not sign a contract with this company. However the company did send someone out to replace the keypad in my bedroom, and still don't feel safe, I had two camera up in my house and took them down. I ask for a print out of coming and going out of my house and they would not give it to me.

Expert Review

Erin RaubAlarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.    More about Erin→

Founded in 1994, MONI Security is now one of the largest home security companies in the United States. Authorized dealers are located in all 50 states, offering easily customized, tech-savvy alarm systems at mid-range cost. The company, a subsidiary of Ascent Capital Group, serves over a million residential and business consumers.

• Customized equipment: MONI Security offers many equipment brands in different price ranges. The company's offerings are comprehensive, extending beyond basic security to home lighting control, keypad door locks and remote-access thermostats. Product availability varies by location.
  • HomeTouch automation: MONI Security remote home security allows you to perform an array of tasks via computer, smartphone or tablet: arm/disarm your system, tweak your thermostat, lock your doors and even check your appliances from afar.
  • Backup power sources & monitoring: Redundancy is the name of the game: two power sources ensure you never lose security coverage, and multiple monitoring channels ­– Internet, phone line, and cellular – guarantee your system is always connected to the monitoring station.
  • Specials: MONI regularly offers specials for new customers. You can visit the company’s website or contact a local dealer to learn about current specials and discounts.
  • Equipment: MONI Security device selection differs from its competitors. Before making a commitment, verify that your local dealer has your desired devices available.
  • Best for Homeowners, tech-savvy shoppers and hands-off consumers.

MONI Security Company Profile