Accredited Partner

(Previously MONI)

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.24/5

Brinks Home Security™ is one of the largest home security alarm monitoring companies in the U.S. Headquartered in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, Brinks Home Security secures approximately 1 million residential and commercial customers through highly responsive, simple home security solutions that are backed by expertly trained professionals. The company is supported by the nation’s largest network of independent authorized dealers, providing products and support to customers in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.

Brinks Home Security™ Gallery (2)
Consumers Choice Award Winner
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Brinks offers technologically advanced systems at an affordable rate. Although the cancellation policy could be better, we like their straightforward pricing and additional equipment.

PROS

• Affordable options
  • Solid product warranty
  • DIY setup

CONS

• Strict cancellation policy

Top Brinks Home Security™ Reviews

With Brinks, I know my system is on. I don't have to double check. It makes me feel safer and I recommend it to friends and families. I wouldn’t go with anybody else either.

The installation was very easy, very simple, and right to the point. I did it all by myself and I liked it. Their instructions were very detailed and very helpful … I also like the smart features a lot and it makes using the system easier. Brinks is amazing and I refer them to anybody I come across.

Brinks Home Security packages

Brinks Home Security has two professionally monitored security systems: Home Complete and Home Complete with Video. Brinks home security systems are installed via a DIY method and the entire system is wireless, so no drilling is involved. Brinks offers an industry standard 36-month contract.

You can also buy the equipment for a Nest Secure security system from Brinks. Although Nest is a self-monitored system, you can pay a monthly fee of $29/mo for Brinks professional monitoring. If you already own a Nest Secure system, you can still sign up for this service with Brinks.

Brinks Home Security cost

Brinks pricing is straightforward. You can choose from one of two plans: Home Complete or Home Complete with Video. However, you should be aware that additional equipment will cost extra. Financing is available through GreenSky if you don't want to pay for the equipment all at once.

You can try any of the Brinks home security plans for 30 days, and if you're unhappy with the system, you can receive a refund. The Brinks Home Security app is also available for every plan, letting you control your home security system from your mobile device. This includes lighting control, checking out security video, and arming and disarming the system.

PlanMonthly costEquipment cost
Home Complete$29/mo$399
Home Complete, with financing$40.08/mo$0
Home Complete with Video$39/mo$499
Home Complete with Video, with financing$52.86/mo$0

Brinks Home Security equipment

All of Brinks’ equipment comes with a 2-year warranty. You can use voice command technologies like Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa with specific Brinks systems; however, Amazon Alexa is not compatible with Nest Secure. The Home Completed Systems are compatible with Alarm.com, Google Assistant, Siri and Alexa. The plans from Brink come with the following equipment:

Brink Home Complete planBrinks Home Complete with Video plan
HD video doorbell
Indoor night vision camera
Brink Home Complete plan
Brinks Home Complete with Video plan

You can add on additional equipment like Brinks home security cameras to your system for an extra charge. Additional equipment you can buy includes:

• HD indoor camera
  • Smoke detector
  • Door sensors
  • Window sensors
  • Motion detectors

Brinks Home Security FAQ

Do I have to install my Brinks system myself?
Brinks makes their systems easy to install, regardless of handyman ability. All you have to do is unpack the box Brinks sends you, put the devices in the correct spots, plug them in and activate the system. If you have a more complex piece of technology you’d like to install, Brinks can put you in touch with trained, approved technicians for installation.
What if I move homes? Can I still use my system?
You can still use your system if you move. The benefit of having a wireless, DIY system is that it’s easy to take down and set up if you’re relocating.
What is Brinks’ cancellation policy?
The Nest Secure system is month-to-month and canceled whenever you like; however, after the 30-day period, you won’t be able to return your equipment for a refund. For the Home Complete system, you also get a 30-day trial period. If you cancel a Brinks contract after the trial period, you will still have to pay your balance in full.

Do we recommend Brinks Home Security?

We recommend Brinks Home Security for their affordable plans, customizable options and good warranty. The Brinks Home Security price, especially on the basic plan, is good. Brinks is unique in that they offer both professionally monitored and self-monitored security systems. Their 3-year contract and strict cancellation policy aren’t ideal, but these are also common for other companies in the industry. Overall, Brinks has a great self-installed home security system.

Brinks Home Security™ Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

My previous security system was a wired one that had battery backup. It had a lot of different things and was very stable. Typically, these other systems, much like the ones from Brinks, are not as stable. So, that’s why they say they’ll do things like replace equipment if it goes bad. Compared to that, my other system didn't need anything replaced for 20 years. But it was also a much more expensive system. Aside from that, there are 10,000 companies like Brinks that can provide you these wireless systems that you can add on to. So, comparing my old system with this one from Brinks is like comparing apples and oranges. They are two different types of security system.

Another difference is that the provider of my old system came in and officially designed it to fit my home. With Brinks, you get packages and when I called them, I had to tell them what I needed. I installed the system myself, too. There were also other circumstances that made me decide to go ahead and buy a system like the one I purchased from Brinks besides the initial cost. Brinks was recommended to me by someone else and that was why I chose them as a carrier.

Also, the new system does not do everything the old system did as far as covering the safety of my home, but I bought the minimum that is required for me to house someone who is elderly and not a family member in my household. If it weren’t for trying to bring this elderly person into my home to care for them, I would’ve never bought one because my fallback security is a 38 and a 30-30.

The main thing that I needed from this system was interconnected smoke detectors. That was the only requirement of this program for me to be able to take care of somebody. So, the door security, which I ended up getting, was just something I thought I'd take as well. But there is nothing else protected by this system. So far, the quality is pretty good. When I opened the packaging, the smoke detectors were surprisingly well made, at least from the exterior. They are well functioning as well.

But Brinks doesn’t seem to waver much from what their packages contain, which really restricts where they fit. And regardless of the package that you end up with, you pay the same price for monitoring. They should be able to prorate their fees as well based on the type of monitoring they're doing. The only thing they're ever monitoring for me is smoke detection, but they are charging me for security. I’m not using them in that way, but that’s the only fee package they have. So, I feel like they're getting a lot of money for nothing from me. And truly, their monthly monitoring fees are not super high.

For my old system, I paid $30 every three months for my monitoring, which is $10 a month. But I’m paying something close to $40 a month to brinks, and as part of that charge, and the reason the charge is so high is because it says it is cellular monitoring, which is supposed to be this perfect way for the signal to get to them because phone lines can go dead. But where I live, there is no cell service, so the monitoring occurs over my internet connection. So, there is still an opportunity for failure and I don’t get the dependability of the cellular monitoring that I’m being charged for. And I could not convince them that cellular wouldn’t work. They even went so far as to send me everything and during the setup on the phone, they asked me to turn the system on. Then they said they were not getting a cellular signal. And I told them that that was what I’ve been telling them from the very beginning.

When I started questioning the charges, they told me that they show on the map that my area is covered by cellular service. But they can’t get a signal, unless they put a cell tower in the valley where the 20 or 30 homes are that I live in and they're not gonna do that. That’s a multimillion-dollar thing for 30 homes. Then we’re never gonna have cell service but they keep saying we'll get it soon. But we're talking about West Virginia.

So, that is a disappointing thing. I’m paying for this premium service, which is a fabulous feature, but I’m not getting the benefits of it. I’ve also been through the strife of figuring out and struggled with them to see if I could get some adjustment in fee. But those things didn't happen because it just wasn’t an option. So, maybe someday, they’ll recognize that not everywhere in the United States has or will ever have cellular service. And maybe they don’t want to create a package specifically for a handful of people or homes, and that’s fine. It’s just the way it is. But people who live in areas like that, and there's a lot of them in West Virginia, should be aware of something like that because they are paying a premium monthly cost for service they can’t take advantage of.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Melissa, Thank your taking the time to leave us your feedback as it allow us to improve. Here at Brinks we care about your satisfaction and want to ensure you’re getting the best quality with the best price. Our self-installed systems are very efficient and user friendly. I am happy to provide this feedback to our activation team so we can do better. With our systems they have different communication networks and I can assure you they are very reliable. If there is anything else you need feel free to reach out us and we would be more than happy to assist you. Thank you for being sure sure and trusting us with your security. -Juana H.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

I've been with Monitronics for 21 years. They've had other names, and Brinks bought it. So, I stayed with them since I knew them. I knew they were pretty quick with response, which is important to me. Also it is important that I'm being monitored. Brinks is kind of messed up though. You call the Brinks number and it separates you. Sometimes, you'll get an outside company, which I didn't know but it's supposedly with Brinks. You can't talk to Brinks. You gotta call that company.

And then, I couldn't get the company that I've been with forever. So, now, I've got rules that are with one company. I was so upset calling them. Nobody could help me. I had to call this other number, and I said, "Wait a minute. Aren't I with Brinks?" They said, "Well, this is a part of Brinks. We'll eventually buy their contract, but this is who you gotta go through." I do like the company. But I don't like that they're maybe taking out a credit because they automatically pull it out. The other company lets me go online. I pay it on time every month, and I like that part. But overall, I'm okay. I have another trailer that has their system that wants to be monitored. And they've asked three weeks ago for me to sign up with them for monitoring, and I'm teetering on the one here. Now, I feel that there are three companies that I'm billed with.

The people that I ended up having to call were really nice. And they sent me the sign, but not the stick. I'm okay. I just don't know if I wanna go with them for another monitoring again. I gotta see what they'll deal with me because there are a few people that do alarm systems that are giving me really good prices. There had been break-ins around where my rental property is, and I've already been asked who to go through, and I kinda threw my hands up. I'd tell people to call around and see. I trust Brinks as far as their monitoring system goes. I trust their alarm system, but I've had Comcast forever which was the same amount of time I've had Monitronics. Comcast was giving me a good price to go with them, and I just won't. I was so loyal. Now, I've been dealing with the new way Brinks is doing things, but I'm already in a contract. I can't get out.

I hope they iron things out and get everything to one company. And I don't know what's gonna happen when I have a problem. How are they gonna do it? When I have a problem, I'm under contract, they usually come and fix it for free, unless it's something that we've done. I don't know what the rules are gonna be now. I'm scared to ask.

Also, I've had nothing but trouble with the motion sensors. They constantly make excuses for it like, "Oh, well. This does happen" or "You gotta make sure this happens." I said, "No. It should work. If that thing is armed away, I don't care what you do with the house. It should be go off." So, it hasn't been worth a dang. And I get technical support and they try to make every excuse. I've had to pull the face off, put it back on, pull the face off. I can't reach it, so I have to go get my 85-year-old father to stand on a stool to reach it and keep taking the face on and off. It's ridiculous. So, finally, they sent me a new one. I haven't tried that one out yet. I'm really irritated with the whole thing. I don't like the fact that they send me signs now without a damn stick.

I've got three signs that they've sent. I've got one that came in my packet when I bought the kit. I got another one and this time, there were no screws. My dad said I could find screws, and we'll be alright. But we haven't done it yet because it's an inconvenience for him to look for screws in his shed. And then, I had two different people but what happened when they opened the backdoor and they heard that door, they ran. They knew that an alarm system is on. So, that kind of makes people not mess with the property because they know there's an alarm system. But I have no way to notify them because I have signs with no stick. Brinks needs to send me signs. I need to put a sign up because the trailer has been broken to twice now while we had the alarm system.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Jennifer, Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. At Brinks Home we strive to provide customer satisfaction and would do anything in our hands to achieve that. In regards to being bought, we weren't purchased by Brinks, we simply rebranded our name. I do apologize if there was any form of miscommunication or misunderstanding from our end. As your security is our main priority, I’d like the opportunity to take a further look into this matter. I have located your account with us and I'll be more than happy to reach out to you. - Juana H.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

Brinks was the first security company we called and they were very easy to work with on the phone. They sent me an email with what we discussed and I told them that I was gonna shop around. Then, I called ADT and they were absolutely awful on the phone. My experience with ADT was so distasteful and off-putting, I immediately called Brinks back and said yes. They sent the set-up to our house and we were out of town. The time it arrived till the time we installed it was probably three weeks. They sent me frequent email reminders, but we had a scheduled phone call for the set-up. Then, I had to change that phone call on the day of because we were not able to get home because of an appointment that ran over and they were very accommodating.

My daughter is home alone and my husband and I are not home often so we wanted to make sure she always feels safe and she absolutely does. There are many features about the system that we like that makes it easy for her. I get an email notification when the system is armed and disarmed. My husband gets a text message if she leaves the house and is gone for a certain amount of time and has not armed the system. It’s very user-friendly in terms of emails, text messages, etc.

They gave us a doorbell camera and we attempted to set it up. But we have to have an electrician install it. They did not tell us that when we got that as part of our package. We have not yet installed the doorbell camera because we have just been too lazy to track down an electrician and schedule a time for them to come to the house and install that. That’s another expense that we didn’t anticipate. And I wish they would’ve said that we have to hire somebody to hardwire it. That’s a bit of a bummer. Also, I have to call them because we continue to have a problem with one of our window sensors going on and offline. I think they’re gonna need to send me a new sensor. Otherwise, we’ve been satisfied with Brinks. I’m confident that when I call them, they will send me a new one.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Denise,we appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. In regards to your activation process going smoothly, this is the exact kind of experience we strive to provide our customers when activating there services. We are filled with joy to know we could provide you with a better experience then ADT. We welcome you to the Brinks Home family and we look forward to providing you with continuous peace of mind. -Jacob B

Original review: June 5, 2019

We had a home that we felt needed some additional security. We selected Brinks because they had a month-to-month plan. We knew we didn't need it long term. When I called the rep, I asked him a whole bunch of questions, and he gave me some great responses and answered all of my questions. I told him I needed to get back with him after I had done a little bit more research. He gave me a phone number I could text and he responded both times I texted him. It was a great experience that way. He was very, very good.

I got a little frustrated on the installation piece. We followed the instructions given to us with the Brinks system and walked through it, but the account didn't sync correctly. So we went through a full installation. We had eight touch points, and the system wouldn't turn on. We couldn't get the cellular coverage and the line of monitoring. The actual alerts on the door and everything like that worked just fine, but the monitoring didn't turn on.

The frustrating piece was I called once, and they said that I needed to call this other department, but they were closed for the day, so I have to call back tomorrow. I called back the next day and they said, "Oh hey, you need to talk to this department," and they transferred me over to this other guy. And the guy said, "Oh, you need to talk to this department," and it was actually the same department. So apparently, the first guy just transferred me to somebody else within his department, and that guy was kinda frustrating.

When I got to that other guy, he said he couldn't help me and that that I needed to call this other number on Monday. And when I called that number on Monday, I talked to a dude, and he was awesome. The unfortunate part is we had to redo the whole entire set-up, had to go re-sync everything again, from start to finish. So, what was supposed to be a 40-minute set-up turned into a multi-day four hours worth of back and forth. Once I got done with that last phone call, everything was fabulous. The very first and last phone calls were great, but the three phone calls in the middle were quite frustrating.

The Brinks equipment is high quality. We got the Google Nest piece through Brinks and it works great. We love that we didn't have to drill holes and that we could just set it up and go with it. The system has worked great. Brinks met exactly what I needed. It's a nice peace of mind knowing that somebody is watching your home for you and can help you if you're not around there to do it yourself. We're very happy with the cost. We only need it for six months or so, and the cost was within range of what we were hoping to pay, so it was good.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Scott, Here at Brinks Home Security we strive to provide excellent customer experience and your review reassures all the work we do to achieve that. We are grateful for your amazing feedback and want to thank you for taking the time to let us know. All of our sales representatives are trained to provide you with an unforgettable experience to ensure you get all the information needed to set up your services. I am glad we were able to answer all your concerns and gain you as a valuable customer. We look forward to providing you with a quality home security service. –Juana H.

Original review: June 2, 2019

We had ADT in our house but when we moved to a new home, we switched to Brinks. Brinks has pretty much been a do-it-yourself system. Other than the initial gentleman that helped me put the system together over the phone, there really hasn’t been a whole lot of “service” taking place. I put the system and it was pretty easy. The instructions were good enough. There were a couple of previous Brinks sensors which looked identical to the ones that I had purchased that I would've liked to add but that didn’t happen. I wasn’t able to figure out how to get that to happen with some phone help. But that was not a big deal. They had an extra smoke alarm and an extra motion sensor.

But I was quite upset about a particular feature of Brinks system that no one bothered to tell us about. It freaked out my family and my dog. We had a couple of tornado warnings recently and the system started going off. I’m sure that was a safety feature to warn us of the tornado but it was extremely loud and everybody got kinda panicked about it. My dog was trying to get used to the new home and every noise was a new noise. The dog went crazy and chewed up a whole bunch of stuff. This happened to be a 90-decibel siren and that’s in the panel. That happened twice in one night and then the power went out. It was a really bad night for the family. I’ve since called in. Customer service was polite and nonchalant about it. They apologized and said that somebody should’ve told us about that feature. They did what I needed them to do and shut that feature off. That was what really mattered.

With the general blips and noises of stuff that comes out of one of these systems, somebody should spend a couple of minutes explaining what to expect the system to sound like and what it’ll do and simply ask the question, “Do you want your system to tell you about the things or do you want your system only to go off when there's an intruder?” That simple question would probably alleviate and/or help educate a number of people on what they're gonna get out of their technology. If I were talking to somebody, I’d say Brinks is a good system but buyer be educated.

Brinks Home Security™ response

David,here at Brinks your protection and satisfaction are must and we will do everything we can to ensure this. Thank you so much for not only allowing us to protect your most valuable investment but also taking the time to leave us this review. We look forward to being your trusted home security for many years to come. If there is anything you need please don't hesitate to reach out to us. -Jacob B

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brinks Home Security™?

Original review: March 28, 2020

This morning I wake up to credit agency drop of over 100 points on my score. Brinks turned me in for a delinquent account because my card on autopay expired four months ago. Didn't even reach out to me one time before turning this in. I've never missed a bill payment in my life. Every other company I autopay with sends me an email that I need to update payment method. I paid right away and they won't reverse their reporting. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. THEY HAVE MANY SHADY BILLING AND REPORTING REVIEWS ON HERE. I will be moving my business for home and company to a more responsible company.

Original review: March 27, 2020

I just got a notice on credit wise that I had a delinquent account from this company. It has a joint account with my ex-husband who I haven’t been married to for 10 years. This dropped my credit score 30 points. I need someone to get this fixed because we do not have this alarm company nor would we ever. Plus nothing was ever sent in the mail.

Original review: March 26, 2020

I had Brinks for 2 year and finally I was glad that this was time to cancel the service because I made a mistake by making an agreement for 2 years. 2 years of bad service they never called me or police for any of the problem we have had. If the alarm went off they never called the police or me either. I finally found out 1 and half year later of brinks security service that I need to contact the county and fill the form for police to be notify. Wow such a terrible service and if I had to do that I should have been told on the first day. I never had to do it with the other company I am with today ADT my recommended company. Best service ever.

Worst cancellation policy: I called to cancel and they did not wanted to cancel the service and was very very rude on the phone. Customer service guy told me that I have no reason to cancel the service and I purposely send the cancellation on the wrong email when I called them 2 week later after finding out I have never received any email and they charged me for another month of service which I had already cancel for.

After 2 week of cancellation I had to call again which is today and the lady told me that it was sent to the wrong email so the same customer service guy have to contact me because he was my initial representative like I care. I just want my service cancel. What is so wrong with that? Now she was also very rude and told me she can't do anything for me. At this time I am awaiting for cancel service. I have already paid month and half of service that I have not receive and not it was not my fault that the customer service guy sent the cancellation docusign to wrong email (which I believe is a lie also). So I do not recommend brinks and I need to have my money back.

Original review: March 26, 2020

We have had this service for 15 years. I got a call today 3/26/20 @ 10:26am about an overdue payment. I find out the auto payment card on file expired. I told the collections person I will take care of the payment after I get off work, because my wife takes care of this payment. He goes into explaining I will continue to get collection calls until it is taken care of "Sounds threaten to me". I explained to him that comment is not necessary during this Coronavirus situation, because there're hundreds of customer without paychecks right now. He talked over me and then hung up the phone. "They say all calls are recorded." That call should be reviewed.

I called back and asked to report the collections representative. The lady said she will pass it on. Three hours and 15 minutes later I get another call. I asked her to check the notes from earlier, and she starting with the same comments about getting calls until it is paid. I explained to her I told him earlier I will pay when I get home. I guess the earlier call was not payment arrangements. After I got home I called the corporate number listed online, and he could not figure out who I needed to talk to. Brinks thanks for this interaction today. I have been putting off shopping for another service until today. Hard times are coming. I hope your company will make it through this....

Original review: March 26, 2020

The reason I chose this company is the name recognition. But I wish they offered more like a panic alarm, a little bit of easier access so you don't have to go through the menu. The system itself is good though. The only complaint I have is back when I got the company, it was called Monitronics and any time the alarm would go off, they would automatically call us through the pad but they don't do that anymore. Brinks never calls me if a door gets accidentally opened and the alarm goes off. So half the time, I don't know if they're monitoring it or not. But the service side has been good, as far as the people who come out representing Brinks. It's just the way that they're monitoring it that I don't feel comfortable with.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Daniel, hearing that you have had a great experience is the best thing we could hope for! Your feedback means a lot to us. Thank you for choosing Brinks Home Security. Do not hesitate to reach out to us at any time. - Daniela S.

Brinks Home Security™ Company Information