Accredited Partner

(Previously MONI)

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.05/5

Brinks Home Security™ is one of the largest home security alarm monitoring companies in the U.S. Headquartered in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, Brinks Home Security secures approximately 1 million residential and commercial customers through highly responsive, simple home security solutions that are backed by expertly trained professionals. The company is supported by the nation’s largest network of independent authorized dealers, providing products and support to customers in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.

Brinks Home Security™ Gallery (2)
Consumers Choice Award Winner

BOTTOM LINE

Brinks offers technologically advanced systems at an affordable rate. Although the cancellation policy could be better, we like their straightforward pricing and additional equipment.

PROS

• Affordable options
  • Solid product warranty
  • DIY setup

CONS

• Strict cancellation policy

Top Brinks Home Security™ Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brinks Home Security™?

The representatives were very helpful and they chose what was good for my needs. Brinks also didn't give me a contract and they made it plain and simple for me. They're good with their customer service. The experience was nice and smooth for me and that’s why I decided to go with them.

The installation was very easy, very simple, and right to the point. I did it all by myself and I liked it. Their instructions were very detailed and very helpful … I also like the smart features a lot and it makes using the system easier. Brinks is amazing and I refer them to anybody I come across.

Brinks Home Security packages

Brinks Home Security has two professionally monitored security systems: Home Complete and Home Complete with Video. Brinks home security systems are installed via a DIY method and the entire system is wireless, so no drilling is involved. Brinks offers an industry standard 36-month contract.

You can also buy the equipment for a Nest Secure security system from Brinks. Although Nest is a self-monitored system, you can pay a monthly fee of $29/mo for Brinks professional monitoring. If you already own a Nest Secure system, you can still sign up for this service with Brinks.

Brinks Home Security cost

Brinks pricing is straightforward. You can choose from one of two plans: Home Complete or Home Complete with Video. However, you should be aware that additional equipment will cost extra. Financing is available through GreenSky if you don't want to pay for the equipment all at once.

You can try any of the Brinks home security plans for 30 days, and if you're unhappy with the system, you can receive a refund. The Brinks Home Security app is also available for every plan, letting you control your home security system from your mobile device. This includes lighting control, checking out security video, and arming and disarming the system.

PlanMonthly costEquipment cost
Home Complete$29/mo$399
Home Complete, with financing$40.08/mo$0
Home Complete with Video$39/mo$499
Home Complete with Video, with financing$52.86/mo$0

Brinks Home Security equipment

All of Brinks’ equipment comes with a 2-year warranty. You can use voice command technologies like Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa with specific Brinks systems; however, Amazon Alexa is not compatible with Nest Secure. The Home Completed Systems are compatible with Alarm.com, Google Assistant, Siri and Alexa. The plans from Brink come with the following equipment:

Brink Home Complete planBrinks Home Complete with Video plan
HD video doorbell
Indoor night vision camera
Brink Home Complete plan
Brinks Home Complete with Video plan

You can add on additional equipment like Brinks home security cameras to your system for an extra charge. Additional equipment you can buy includes:

• HD indoor camera
  • Smoke detector
  • Door sensors
  • Window sensors
  • Motion detectors

Brinks Home Security FAQ

Do I have to install my Brinks system myself?
Brinks makes their systems easy to install, regardless of handyman ability. All you have to do is unpack the box Brinks sends you, put the devices in the correct spots, plug them in and activate the system. If you have a more complex piece of technology you’d like to install, Brinks can put you in touch with trained, approved technicians for installation.
What if I move homes? Can I still use my system?
You can still use your system if you move. The benefit of having a wireless, DIY system is that it’s easy to take down and set up if you’re relocating.
What is Brinks’ cancellation policy?
The Nest Secure system is month-to-month and canceled whenever you like; however, after the 30-day period, you won’t be able to return your equipment for a refund. For the Home Complete system, you also get a 30-day trial period. If you cancel a Brinks contract after the trial period, you will still have to pay your balance in full.

Do we recommend Brinks Home Security?

We recommend Brinks Home Security for their affordable plans, customizable options and good warranty. The Brinks Home Security price, especially on the basic plan, is good. Brinks is unique in that they offer both professionally monitored and self-monitored security systems. Their 3-year contract and strict cancellation policy aren’t ideal, but these are also common for other companies in the industry. Overall, Brinks has a great self-installed home security system.

Brinks Home Security™ Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brinks Home Security™?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

We were signed up with Monitronics and we haven't had anything done to our alarm system for years. It was trouble-free and then, we had a couple of sensors that failed because they were beyond their expiration. When I called the number, I found out that Brinks had bought that company so I arranged for a service call to have that sensor changed and to update the system. When getting ahold of customer service, the wait times are way too long. I was on probably hold for 20 minutes on the main number and they annoy the heck out of you by constantly playing the same message about going down their portal and emailing or texting them. I'm 73 years old and I've tried to tell companies a hundred times that older people do not want to do all that. We can but that's not how we were raised.

I want to talk to somebody and I don't want to be on hold. I put it on speaker and wait and wait. You can do the dishes and load the washer before they answer you. Brinks is no different than Verizon or any other big company. They all do the same thing and it annoys the heck out of the consumers. But I was able to get someone that speaks English. So that was helpful because you call some of the big companies and you can't understand them to save your life, and that's more annoying. But the persons that I got to talk to, I didn't have that problem with.

The tech who came to update the system was nice although he wasn't as familiar with our system as some of the other people. But he was getting talked through by the supervisor. This was on service call number one. After he updated the chips, he found out that we did not have the updated software or the updated device to comply with the updated chip so he couldn't complete the job. So that was annoying. He called the supervisor and they said that they would overnight the software to me. This was on a Monday so I thought he would be back Wednesday. But apparently, there was some cord or some device that they had not forwarded to him so he couldn't come back. He was then scheduled for Monday, which was yesterday. He was supposed to be there between 8:00 and noon.

I was going to call half an hour in advance so at 20 minutes to 12:00, I called the main number. They said my tech was so and so and they would give me the number. I had already been on hold with the main number so I said okay. I figured I would just call the tech because I've done that with Spectrum. It turned out the number is the center that dispatches the techs. So, I was on hold again. I finally got ahold of them and they said that if I would hold again, they would call the tech and find out. I was on hold for a few more minutes and then, she said that he was 20 minutes away.

It turned out to be half an hour. So, it was 20 after 12:00, which wasn't terrible. It’s not that far from 8:00 to 12:00. I realized that. The tech came back and completed the job. So that was good. He checked all the sensors and everything's working right now. He was more familiar with the Spectrum system and some of the other techs that came from Brinks so they're learning and trying to get all the tools for the other devices.

It would have been good of the former company that when they were bought out, somebody should have sent a letter to the new customer saying Monitronics has been bought by Brinks and give the number because you'd get caught off guard and you’d think the company has gone out of business. When they answered the phone, it said they were Brinks out of Texas. I asked when it happened and they said that it was a while back. But that's not probably Brinks' fault or maybe it is. Brinks has been a large company for years and years. It's not like they're fly-by-night. So, I don’t expect that they have experience. It's just the idea would have been nice to know that we were under a different company now.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Michael, thank you for your honest feedback. At Brinks Home Security we aim to provide the best customer experience for all of our customers and we apologize for any inconvenience. We are glad that the technician was able to resolve your issue. If there is anything else we can do, please do not hesitate to reach out. -Edwin Q.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

We've been a Brinks/Monitronics customer for four or five years now. We had them in Virginia where we lived originally. Since we moved to North Carolina about four years back, we've had nothing but problems. It's been a nightmare. The most recent visit we had with them, we had some sensors that had failed. This was the first time in many visits that we had a Brinks employee come to the house. He was fantastic and restored my faith in the brand. We were waiting out our contracts so that we could go somewhere else because the service and the support have not been there. He assured me that they've done a lot of in-house hiring and there's a lot more in-house labor. Instead of having somebody come from three to six hours away in North Carolina, he can service me from his Virginia location. He took care of the problem and he's gonna come back. He upsold me some more cameras and some more security features.

Now that I am getting the support that I need from Brinks, it's definitely great. The pairing with alarm.com makes things so simple and easy. I'm much more interested in the home automation and the fact that I can pair my garage door and my thermostats to my alarm.com app. It's not as easy as just clicking a button but the ability to have everything controlled on one central app on my phone is the selling point.

There was another security company whose whole thing was, “We are cloud-based and automation-focused. We're here to take over your current contract and take over your current system.” They were running a special and had me call Brinks to find out what I owed left on the contract. They said they'd buy me out of my contract. I did call Brinks with the gentleman sitting right here. I asked the price to get rid of Brinks and it was like $1,200.

This gentleman wanted to sell me services for 70 to 80 bucks a month. I called Brinks back up to find out what I was paying with them and my bill is either $20 or $30. It's significantly less than this startup guy wanted. I said, “If you want my business and you're gonna buy me out of my contract, you're gonna at least match the price. Otherwise, there's no value.” He looked at me and said, “I gotta pack my stuff up because I can't come close to your price.” Long story short, Brinks' price for the value is definitely there. I've had to fight for several years to get to where I am with our pricing and the setup that we have but what I pay, what services I have and what features I have in my alarm and automation, they can't be beat.

A year or so back, I was fed up with Brinks and I called ADT. I said, “How soon can you guys get out, replace everything, and I'll pay the contract myself.” ADT was gonna come out and do the installation but their pricing was not where Brinks was. As upset as I was with Brinks at the time, I was not interested in paying double or triple what my current services are unless they plan on doubling or tripling the technology or the convenience or the cameras and make it worth my while.

I'm excited to call Brinks back out, have a couple more cameras installed and continue to upgrade and build on my system. The more things evolve, the more things become one platform and one standard. Brinks is doing a great job of not only keeping up with the times but keeping competitive as well. Also, the coverage in this area was absolutely deplorable but that appears as though it has changed quite a bit, and it's done a 180.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Jonathan,thank you for taking the time to leave us this great review about our services. At Brinks Home Security we care about your satisfaction and want to ensure you’re getting the best customer service. We look forward to protecting your home for many years to come and please do not hesitate to reach out to us at any time. -Daniela S.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

The people who had sold us the house had Brinks and it seemed like a logical decision to go with them. At that point, we already have an account with Brinks. We thought that if we wanted to go through a cancellation process and then try to start something up with a completely different company and perhaps end up with the same headaches. We just pushed and kept it with Brinks.

We had a difficult time at first just because Brinks apparently would only allow us to have any insight into our accounts or make any changes if we provided them with a passcode. The person who they had contracted to install our service never provided us with a passcode. The passcode of the individuals who lived in the house beforehand wasn't the passcode, apparently. We were told that we made a passcode and we had no recollection of that. Every potential passcode we could think of wasn't working so it was extremely frustrating and they were still taking our money. But it took a lot to try to figure out exactly how to remedy that.

We found out later that the individual who they had contracted to install the service had us write him a check for $300 and that was not supposed to happen. Even then, that individual "mistakenly" took my wallet. As a matter of fact, when he left, we had to have him come back to bring back my wallet. He said it looked exactly like his. So, we had all these incidents happen. It wasn't Brinks per se, but it was someone who they trusted to install their service properly. Then the guy told us that he installed new batteries on these other things that we wanted. The very next day, we were getting the low battery signal and trying to work with Brinks to have that remedied became an impossibility because we didn't have this passcode. We had every other form of identifiable information to indicate that we were who we were, but without that passcode, there was absolutely no way to move forward.

The solution that we were given, which sounded absurd, was to scan and email them our driver's license, front and back, all these to be sent over the airwaves. We had an incident with another company beforehand where our identities were compromised so we didn't wanna do that. It ended up being one of those situations where the only way we could move forward was to get someone on the phone who actually knew what to do. Whereas most of the time, we were only connected with people who were just getting their solutions from a playbook and didn't know how the company worked. We eventually got everything resolved, but it was a very painstaking process.

We're fine with the service. When we finally got that individual on the phone who could help us, they were informed that we were charged $300. They put that toward other services that we wanted, so we were able to get the video doorbell, the glass break, all that. The individual who came to install the video doorbell and all that was absolutely professional and he did everything to our satisfaction. We asked him for a yard sign, but he said that he didn't have it or he couldn't give it out.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Timothy, thank you so much for leaving us this review regarding our service. Brinks Home security always wants to ensure that our customers are satisfied and protected. We are glad that we were able to help you and rectify any issues that you had with your system. If there is anything, we can do to make this experience a better one please let us know. – Daniela S.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

I've had Brinks since I moved in on November of 2019. It had the security system already in it and it was armed, but I didn't have the code. I had to change everything to Brinks to get my own personal stuff and be able to turn it on and off because they didn't give me a code. They didn't mention anything when I bought the place. So now, since that incident happened last week, everything seems to be on track because I called them and complained about it.

The police was sent to my home and I wasn't contacted. I guess when I added my daughter's number, they put her number first instead of leaving mine first, but they never contacted me at all. They said that they contacted me. I don't have missed calls from them before they notified the police. So, I don't feel good about it. They contacted my daughter and she didn't have the voicemail. She contacted me and gave Brinks the voicemail, but they still sent the police out. But it was about eight hours later. So, if somebody was actually robbing my house or did a home invasion, that wouldn't make any difference if they notified eight hours later for me.

I made it clear that my daughter's was the second number to call and they should have called me first. And during that time, they gave me a number that I said I needed to put in my phone that they would call me from so I would know the emergency and I need to take the appropriate action when they call. I need to answer it to make sure it's not a spam call or something of that nature. But I don't know exactly that it's an emergency.

They gave the number, right? But when that incident happened and I talked to them again, they gave me a different number. And then, they said they have another number that they didn't have at that time to give to me. I don't answer random calls because I just bought the home. It's time for me to refinance. I'm getting probably 50 spam calls a day for advertisements and I can't just answer all those calls. Plus, I'm at work during the day so I need to know exactly if they're calling pertaining to my safety, or my home or my daughter's safety. So, if I'm paying for this service and I'm not able to do that, the service is not doing me any good.

I arm the system when I leave. When I walk in, it tells me that I need to disarm, and I disarm it and everything is working fine at this point. But if I would have an emergency, I don't know what time it would take for the police response. I want to know if I would be charged for them coming. When the police came in, they said, "Oh, we see, it was a false alarm." Then they turned around and left.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Bobby, thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback as it is always appreciated. At Brinks Home Security we strive to do better than we were the day before. We do apologize for your experience but are glad we were able to rectify that. If there is anything, we can do please let us know, we are more than happy to assist. We look forward to providing you with a quality home security service. – Juana H.

Original review: April 4, 2020

I've had a really good experience with Brinks. I've had a security system for 20 years or more. I've had Brinks for about five years. Originally, I got a security system because I traveled a lot and my wife was home alone. It's a big house in a good neighborhood, but she just felt more comfortable with a security system. As things progressed, I don't travel as much, but there were a lot more offerings with this security system than just the typical “monitor your doors and windows” security. They've added things like cameras inside and outside and camera doorbells. They also offer light switches, plugs, just all sorts of things. Quite frankly, my house is quite nice, just a completely electronically controlled house.

I was able to add outside lights in a place I'm having to turn them on and off with a switch online, with their program through my security system of when to come on or off. Also, unlike most people, my actual overhead garage doors are monitored, so I have that additional security of my garage protected. They also have remote access, so if I've got a guy there working in my yard and he needs to get to my watering system, I can open a garage door, letting him get to what he needs to get to with all the rest of the house being totally protected. He can turn and close the garage door when he's done. The system has evolved from a simple security system to a very complicated integrated system that basically can control your entire house now. I keep upgrading all the time and adding things.

One of the things Brinks did just recently that I like is they've taken everything in-house. I've had a security system before. When I recently got my security system, it was through another company that Brinks bought. And after they bought this company, they were still outsourcing two things. They were outsourcing through dealers for sales and repairs, which was a royal pain in the butt. All that's been taken internally now, and it is like 10 times smoother.

Especially the service techs that they used to use, they weren't just doing Brinks. They were doing whomever security. They’re service techs. One of the companies that I used before, it wasn't their equipment but it was another party's, so their push was on installation. It wasn’t repair because it wasn't their system. All they got was the money out of the repair. They weren't making money for the sale. So, sometimes it's a week or two before you could get them to come out. And even then, it was happenstance and they normally gave you at least a five-hour window and they couldn't narrow the field. They didn't really care.

When Brinks took all this in-house service, it just changed their whole outlook on things because, all of a sudden now, "It's my system. If I piss this customer off, they're gonna have to go somewhere. "It means more to them now because they have a stake in the outcome. I was a huge move on their part in the right direction. I just had a service call recently and he just about blew me out of the water because it's not the thing that you would normally get. The guy came to change a sensor that was not working and while he was there, there was an upgrade to the system, he did the upgrade, tested the entire system from A to Z, and I'm just like, "Really? Are you going to do everything?" "Yes." You don't get that out of a lot of companies.

And the communication with the service tech, they're very sensitive to other people's issues with life. Sometimes, you need a particular time and they're very good about working with you on trying to narrow that timeframe. It might be four hours. Even then, the tech that came out, I asked him, “I'm about 45 minutes from home. Would you give me a call when you're 45 minutes or an hour away?" We actually showed up at the house within two minutes of each other. There was no time wasted on his part or mine, either one, and I was able to continue my work until such time as I had to leave and meet them.

They just make everything much more equitable. It even can change your attitude about the company when things like that happen and they happen in a positive manner. It can really just give you a whole new perspective of the fact that the company is customer-focused than when they were outsourcing things. It's something they're doing and it's near and dear to their heart because it's their customers.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Jim, this review made our day! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us this kind words. The experience described in your review is the exact kind of experience we strive to bring to all of our customers. Brinks Home Security cares about your satisfaction and wants to ensure you’re getting the best quality of services. If there is anything, we can do to make this experience better, please feel free to reach out. Thank you for being sure sure and trusting us with your security. – Juana H.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

I called to see if Brinks could help me solve this connection problem. They asked me to call back Monday and they would connect me with the alarm company. During the remainder of the wknd, I discovered the internet connection plug had been accidentally unplugged. I plugged it back in and the problem was solved. The Brink rep was professional and courteous.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Londerick,thank you for taking the time to leave us this wonderful review. At Brinks Home Security we strive to provide customer satisfaction and being accountable. If there is anything, we can do to make this experience better, please feel free to reach out. – Daniela S.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

Had problems with my panel cause the power went off. The light was red and I didn’t know how to get it back on green. The tech walked me through it. Everything was fine after I followed her instructions! I give her an A plus! Very nice and pleasant to work with!... Thanks.

Brinks Home Security™ response

James, thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. At Brinks Home Security we strive to ensure superb customer service and I am glad your experience was amazing. If there is anything, we can do to keep your time with us anything other than amazing please feel free to reach out to us. – Juana H.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

I received a new keypad the other had been discontinued. It was simple install. The Technician was very patient and professional. The new keypad is a different color but still looks great. I also wasn’t on hold too long.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Sheila, we are glad to hear we are doing a great job. At Brinks Home we strive for customer satisfaction and we are glad to hear your experience was great. All of our technicians are trained to provide you with an amazing experience. Thank you for being sure sure and allowing us to give you a peace of mind. – Juana H.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

Brinks calls me every month when my unit is not communicating. An upgrade was installed this month by a stellar installer. I am assuming that they called me because I was not arming the unit regularly so they were checking on it to make sure it was working.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Camelia, thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. At Brinks Home your security and satisfaction are our main priority. We are glad to hear the installation was a success. If there is anything, we can do to keep your time with us anything other than amazing please feel free to reach out to us. -Juana H.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

We have been pleased with the service and the system. Has provided a sense of safety and has provided us comfort knowing our belongings are secure whether we are home or away. Secure. The price is fair and billing with auto payments always accurate.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Deborah, thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. Here at Brinks we aim to match the perfect price with every customer’s needs. We are more than happy to provide you the protection you deserve inside your home. If there is anything, we can do to keep your time with us anything other than amazing please feel free to reach out to us. -Juana H

Brinks Home Security™ Company Information