Accredited Partner

(Previously MONI)

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.55/5

Brinks Home Security™ is one of the largest home security alarm monitoring companies in the U.S. Headquartered in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, Brinks Home Security secures approximately 1 million residential and commercial customers through highly responsive, simple home security solutions that are backed by expertly trained professionals. The company is supported by the nation’s largest network of independent authorized dealers, providing products and support to customers in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.

Brinks Home Security™ Gallery (2)
Consumers Choice Award Winner

BOTTOM LINE

Brinks offers technologically advanced systems at an affordable rate. Although the cancellation policy could be better, we like their straightforward pricing and additional equipment.

PROS

• Affordable options
  • Solid product warranty
  • DIY setup

CONS

• Strict cancellation policy

Top Brinks Home Security™ Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brinks Home Security™?

With Brinks, I know my system is on. I don't have to double check. It makes me feel safer and I recommend it to friends and families. I wouldn’t go with anybody else either.

The installation was very easy, very simple, and right to the point. I did it all by myself and I liked it. Their instructions were very detailed and very helpful … I also like the smart features a lot and it makes using the system easier. Brinks is amazing and I refer them to anybody I come across.

Brinks Home Security packages

Brinks Home Security has two professionally monitored security systems: Home Complete and Home Complete with Video. Brinks home security systems are installed via a DIY method and the entire system is wireless, so no drilling is involved. Brinks offers an industry standard 36-month contract.

You can also buy the equipment for a Nest Secure security system from Brinks. Although Nest is a self-monitored system, you can pay a monthly fee of $29/mo for Brinks professional monitoring. If you already own a Nest Secure system, you can still sign up for this service with Brinks.

Brinks Home Security cost

Brinks pricing is straightforward. You can choose from one of two plans: Home Complete or Home Complete with Video. However, you should be aware that additional equipment will cost extra. Financing is available through GreenSky if you don't want to pay for the equipment all at once.

You can try any of the Brinks home security plans for 30 days, and if you're unhappy with the system, you can receive a refund. The Brinks Home Security app is also available for every plan, letting you control your home security system from your mobile device. This includes lighting control, checking out security video, and arming and disarming the system.

PlanMonthly costEquipment cost
Home Complete$29/mo$399
Home Complete, with financing$40.08/mo$0
Home Complete with Video$39/mo$499
Home Complete with Video, with financing$52.86/mo$0

Brinks Home Security equipment

All of Brinks’ equipment comes with a 2-year warranty. You can use voice command technologies like Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa with specific Brinks systems; however, Amazon Alexa is not compatible with Nest Secure. The Home Completed Systems are compatible with Alarm.com, Google Assistant, Siri and Alexa. The plans from Brink come with the following equipment:

Brink Home Complete planBrinks Home Complete with Video plan
HD video doorbell
Indoor night vision camera
Brink Home Complete plan
Brinks Home Complete with Video plan

You can add on additional equipment like Brinks home security cameras to your system for an extra charge. Additional equipment you can buy includes:

• HD indoor camera
  • Smoke detector
  • Door sensors
  • Window sensors
  • Motion detectors

Brinks Home Security FAQ

Do I have to install my Brinks system myself?
Brinks makes their systems easy to install, regardless of handyman ability. All you have to do is unpack the box Brinks sends you, put the devices in the correct spots, plug them in and activate the system. If you have a more complex piece of technology you’d like to install, Brinks can put you in touch with trained, approved technicians for installation.
What if I move homes? Can I still use my system?
You can still use your system if you move. The benefit of having a wireless, DIY system is that it’s easy to take down and set up if you’re relocating.
What is Brinks’ cancellation policy?
The Nest Secure system is month-to-month and canceled whenever you like; however, after the 30-day period, you won’t be able to return your equipment for a refund. For the Home Complete system, you also get a 30-day trial period. If you cancel a Brinks contract after the trial period, you will still have to pay your balance in full.

Do we recommend Brinks Home Security?

We recommend Brinks Home Security for their affordable plans, customizable options and good warranty. The Brinks Home Security price, especially on the basic plan, is good. Brinks is unique in that they offer both professionally monitored and self-monitored security systems. Their 3-year contract and strict cancellation policy aren’t ideal, but these are also common for other companies in the industry. Overall, Brinks has a great self-installed home security system.

Brinks Home Security™ Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brinks Home Security™?

Original review: May 10, 2020

Years ago, I had ADT. I'm in the security field so I've heard about Brinks many years ago. By happenstance, the company that I had when I first purchased my home, MONI, was purchased by Brinks. Naturally, they assume all of the responsibilities and the customers came over as well, and the contract that I was under was with MONI Smart.

I had a few customer service interactions and they were very responsive. I had an incident when I was trying to activate my system utilizing my cellphone, and I kept getting an error message. I called customer service, they were trying to troubleshoot it from their location and they were able to clear the error temporarily because the system kept beeping. The long-term fix was I needed a system upgrade, so they sent the technician here. He did the upgrade and now, everything's good to go.

I had an incident one time where I got a burglar alarm notification of a backdoor or window opening. I was at work, and when I contacted Brinks to see what was going on, they said they had already contacted my sheriff's department to dispatch someone to come to the residence because they couldn't get ahold of me. When I checked my cameras, which I know Brinks don't monitor that because that's something I had here previously, I never saw the police in the camera. They kept saying they came to the house, and I know they claim things like burglary or when they get that type of signal when the window is broken. That makes it a higher priority. But whatever the alarm was triggered with, they said that's a low priority. I can't say the missing link was with Brinks 'cause they said they did what they were supposed to do as far as contacting the sheriff's department. I just never saw someone came out, never saw them in my camera.

Brinks came out to do the update for the system. It was pretty smooth. The guy was in and out in less than an hour. The 5G upgrade he did seems to be working now when I tried it on the system from wherever I'm at in the house. It's almost instantaneous when before, there was a delay. He was pretty professional, too. The interaction that I've had with Brinks has been positive.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Janine, thank you for taking the time to reach out to us to let us know of your feedback. At Brinks Home we strive to provide outstanding customer service and I am glad your experience was excellent. We are sorry to hear you had problems with your system but are glad we were able to rectify that. Please know that we are always here to help. If there is anything, we can do to make this experience better, please do not hesitate to reach out. - Juana H.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 4, 2020

I've had a really good experience with Brinks. I've had a security system for 20 years or more. I've had Brinks for about five years. Originally, I got a security system because I traveled a lot and my wife was home alone. It's a big house in a good neighborhood, but she just felt more comfortable with a security system. As things progressed, I don't travel as much, but there were a lot more offerings with this security system than just the typical “monitor your doors and windows” security. They've added things like cameras inside and outside and camera doorbells. They also offer light switches, plugs, just all sorts of things. Quite frankly, my house is quite nice, just a completely electronically controlled house.

I was able to add outside lights in a place I'm having to turn them on and off with a switch online, with their program through my security system of when to come on or off. Also, unlike most people, my actual overhead garage doors are monitored, so I have that additional security of my garage protected. They also have remote access, so if I've got a guy there working in my yard and he needs to get to my watering system, I can open a garage door, letting him get to what he needs to get to with all the rest of the house being totally protected. He can turn and close the garage door when he's done. The system has evolved from a simple security system to a very complicated integrated system that basically can control your entire house now. I keep upgrading all the time and adding things.

One of the things Brinks did just recently that I like is they've taken everything in-house. I've had a security system before. When I recently got my security system, it was through another company that Brinks bought. And after they bought this company, they were still outsourcing two things. They were outsourcing through dealers for sales and repairs, which was a royal pain in the butt. All that's been taken internally now, and it is like 10 times smoother.

Especially the service techs that they used to use, they weren't just doing Brinks. They were doing whomever security. They’re service techs. One of the companies that I used before, it wasn't their equipment but it was another party's, so their push was on installation. It wasn’t repair because it wasn't their system. All they got was the money out of the repair. They weren't making money for the sale. So, sometimes it's a week or two before you could get them to come out. And even then, it was happenstance and they normally gave you at least a five-hour window and they couldn't narrow the field. They didn't really care.

When Brinks took all this in-house service, it just changed their whole outlook on things because, all of a sudden now, "It's my system. If I piss this customer off, they're gonna have to go somewhere. "It means more to them now because they have a stake in the outcome. I was a huge move on their part in the right direction. I just had a service call recently and he just about blew me out of the water because it's not the thing that you would normally get. The guy came to change a sensor that was not working and while he was there, there was an upgrade to the system, he did the upgrade, tested the entire system from A to Z, and I'm just like, "Really? Are you going to do everything?" "Yes." You don't get that out of a lot of companies.

And the communication with the service tech, they're very sensitive to other people's issues with life. Sometimes, you need a particular time and they're very good about working with you on trying to narrow that timeframe. It might be four hours. Even then, the tech that came out, I asked him, “I'm about 45 minutes from home. Would you give me a call when you're 45 minutes or an hour away?" We actually showed up at the house within two minutes of each other. There was no time wasted on his part or mine, either one, and I was able to continue my work until such time as I had to leave and meet them.

They just make everything much more equitable. It even can change your attitude about the company when things like that happen and they happen in a positive manner. It can really just give you a whole new perspective of the fact that the company is customer-focused than when they were outsourcing things. It's something they're doing and it's near and dear to their heart because it's their customers.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Jim, this review made our day! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us this kind words. The experience described in your review is the exact kind of experience we strive to bring to all of our customers. Brinks Home Security cares about your satisfaction and wants to ensure you’re getting the best quality of services. If there is anything, we can do to make this experience better, please feel free to reach out. Thank you for being sure sure and trusting us with your security. – Juana H.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

My previous security system was a wired one that had battery backup. It had a lot of different things and was very stable. Typically, these other systems, much like the ones from Brinks, are not as stable. So, that’s why they say they’ll do things like replace equipment if it goes bad. Compared to that, my other system didn't need anything replaced for 20 years. But it was also a much more expensive system. Aside from that, there are 10,000 companies like Brinks that can provide you these wireless systems that you can add on to. So, comparing my old system with this one from Brinks is like comparing apples and oranges. They are two different types of security system.

Another difference is that the provider of my old system came in and officially designed it to fit my home. With Brinks, you get packages and when I called them, I had to tell them what I needed. I installed the system myself, too. There were also other circumstances that made me decide to go ahead and buy a system like the one I purchased from Brinks besides the initial cost. Brinks was recommended to me by someone else and that was why I chose them as a carrier.

Also, the new system does not do everything the old system did as far as covering the safety of my home, but I bought the minimum that is required for me to house someone who is elderly and not a family member in my household. If it weren’t for trying to bring this elderly person into my home to care for them, I would’ve never bought one because my fallback security is a 38 and a 30-30.

The main thing that I needed from this system was interconnected smoke detectors. That was the only requirement of this program for me to be able to take care of somebody. So, the door security, which I ended up getting, was just something I thought I'd take as well. But there is nothing else protected by this system. So far, the quality is pretty good. When I opened the packaging, the smoke detectors were surprisingly well made, at least from the exterior. They are well functioning as well.

But Brinks doesn’t seem to waver much from what their packages contain, which really restricts where they fit. And regardless of the package that you end up with, you pay the same price for monitoring. They should be able to prorate their fees as well based on the type of monitoring they're doing. The only thing they're ever monitoring for me is smoke detection, but they are charging me for security. I’m not using them in that way, but that’s the only fee package they have. So, I feel like they're getting a lot of money for nothing from me. And truly, their monthly monitoring fees are not super high.

For my old system, I paid $30 every three months for my monitoring, which is $10 a month. But I’m paying something close to $40 a month to brinks, and as part of that charge, and the reason the charge is so high is because it says it is cellular monitoring, which is supposed to be this perfect way for the signal to get to them because phone lines can go dead. But where I live, there is no cell service, so the monitoring occurs over my internet connection. So, there is still an opportunity for failure and I don’t get the dependability of the cellular monitoring that I’m being charged for. And I could not convince them that cellular wouldn’t work. They even went so far as to send me everything and during the setup on the phone, they asked me to turn the system on. Then they said they were not getting a cellular signal. And I told them that that was what I’ve been telling them from the very beginning.

When I started questioning the charges, they told me that they show on the map that my area is covered by cellular service. But they can’t get a signal, unless they put a cell tower in the valley where the 20 or 30 homes are that I live in and they're not gonna do that. That’s a multimillion-dollar thing for 30 homes. Then we’re never gonna have cell service but they keep saying we'll get it soon. But we're talking about West Virginia.

So, that is a disappointing thing. I’m paying for this premium service, which is a fabulous feature, but I’m not getting the benefits of it. I’ve also been through the strife of figuring out and struggled with them to see if I could get some adjustment in fee. But those things didn't happen because it just wasn’t an option. So, maybe someday, they’ll recognize that not everywhere in the United States has or will ever have cellular service. And maybe they don’t want to create a package specifically for a handful of people or homes, and that’s fine. It’s just the way it is. But people who live in areas like that, and there's a lot of them in West Virginia, should be aware of something like that because they are paying a premium monthly cost for service they can’t take advantage of.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Melissa, Thank your taking the time to leave us your feedback as it allow us to improve. Here at Brinks we care about your satisfaction and want to ensure you’re getting the best quality with the best price. Our self-installed systems are very efficient and user friendly. I am happy to provide this feedback to our activation team so we can do better. With our systems they have different communication networks and I can assure you they are very reliable. If there is anything else you need feel free to reach out us and we would be more than happy to assist you. Thank you for being sure sure and trusting us with your security. -Juana H.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

I've been with Monitronics for 21 years. They've had other names, and Brinks bought it. So, I stayed with them since I knew them. I knew they were pretty quick with response, which is important to me. Also it is important that I'm being monitored. Brinks is kind of messed up though. You call the Brinks number and it separates you. Sometimes, you'll get an outside company, which I didn't know but it's supposedly with Brinks. You can't talk to Brinks. You gotta call that company.

And then, I couldn't get the company that I've been with forever. So, now, I've got rules that are with one company. I was so upset calling them. Nobody could help me. I had to call this other number, and I said, "Wait a minute. Aren't I with Brinks?" They said, "Well, this is a part of Brinks. We'll eventually buy their contract, but this is who you gotta go through." I do like the company. But I don't like that they're maybe taking out a credit because they automatically pull it out. The other company lets me go online. I pay it on time every month, and I like that part. But overall, I'm okay. I have another trailer that has their system that wants to be monitored. And they've asked three weeks ago for me to sign up with them for monitoring, and I'm teetering on the one here. Now, I feel that there are three companies that I'm billed with.

The people that I ended up having to call were really nice. And they sent me the sign, but not the stick. I'm okay. I just don't know if I wanna go with them for another monitoring again. I gotta see what they'll deal with me because there are a few people that do alarm systems that are giving me really good prices. There had been break-ins around where my rental property is, and I've already been asked who to go through, and I kinda threw my hands up. I'd tell people to call around and see. I trust Brinks as far as their monitoring system goes. I trust their alarm system, but I've had Comcast forever which was the same amount of time I've had Monitronics. Comcast was giving me a good price to go with them, and I just won't. I was so loyal. Now, I've been dealing with the new way Brinks is doing things, but I'm already in a contract. I can't get out.

I hope they iron things out and get everything to one company. And I don't know what's gonna happen when I have a problem. How are they gonna do it? When I have a problem, I'm under contract, they usually come and fix it for free, unless it's something that we've done. I don't know what the rules are gonna be now. I'm scared to ask.

Also, I've had nothing but trouble with the motion sensors. They constantly make excuses for it like, "Oh, well. This does happen" or "You gotta make sure this happens." I said, "No. It should work. If that thing is armed away, I don't care what you do with the house. It should be go off." So, it hasn't been worth a dang. And I get technical support and they try to make every excuse. I've had to pull the face off, put it back on, pull the face off. I can't reach it, so I have to go get my 85-year-old father to stand on a stool to reach it and keep taking the face on and off. It's ridiculous. So, finally, they sent me a new one. I haven't tried that one out yet. I'm really irritated with the whole thing. I don't like the fact that they send me signs now without a damn stick.

I've got three signs that they've sent. I've got one that came in my packet when I bought the kit. I got another one and this time, there were no screws. My dad said I could find screws, and we'll be alright. But we haven't done it yet because it's an inconvenience for him to look for screws in his shed. And then, I had two different people but what happened when they opened the backdoor and they heard that door, they ran. They knew that an alarm system is on. So, that kind of makes people not mess with the property because they know there's an alarm system. But I have no way to notify them because I have signs with no stick. Brinks needs to send me signs. I need to put a sign up because the trailer has been broken to twice now while we had the alarm system.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Jennifer, Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. At Brinks Home we strive to provide customer satisfaction and would do anything in our hands to achieve that. In regards to being bought, we weren't purchased by Brinks, we simply rebranded our name. I do apologize if there was any form of miscommunication or misunderstanding from our end. As your security is our main priority, I’d like the opportunity to take a further look into this matter. I have located your account with us and I'll be more than happy to reach out to you. - Juana H.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

We've been with Brinks for quite a long time and everything seems to be working fine. My only complaint was the video doorbell that we were sent. Everything else that we have here is not hardwired and the doorbell was a disappointment. It has to be hardwired. I didn't realize that when they sent it to me so it's basically useless to me. For that, I agreed to have my plan extended for two years but it would be nice if I had a doorbell that did not have to be hardwired.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Hello, we are grateful you took the time to leave us a review. At Brinks Home our goal is to ensure the protection for all of our customers. We apologize if the doorbell camera was not a great fit for your equipment. Unfortunately, we do not have wireless doorbells but we can gladly go over different options if you reach out to us. Please know that we are always here to help and if there is anything we can do, please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you for being sure sure. -Juana H.

Original review: July 31, 2020

I’ve been with Monitronics for years and if I had an issue, it took forever to get through even if it was an emergency. Right now, I know it’s over to Brinks and I’m in the process of moving and just overwhelmed with it. I was looking online on all of the different things up at the front door. I’m gonna stick with Brinks and try them.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Cynthia, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. At Brinks Home we care about your satisfaction and want to ensure you’re getting the best quality of service. We would be more than happy to relocate the services whenever you are ready simply reach out to us. If there is anything, we can do to make your experience better, please do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to protecting you for many years to come. – Juana H.

Original review: July 30, 2020

Read the fine print. If you encounter a problem with their equipment you will wait at least 50 minutes to speak with technical support. (They have a text option I tried twice and didn't get any help.) You will then be required to make the necessary repairs yourself. If equipment fails you will have to pay to have new equipment sent to you. (After 2 months the backup battery wouldn't charge - we'll ship one for $29.00). If you can't make the repairs yourself they can have a technician go to your home for a $50.00 fee. The doorbell camera really doesn't record all the activity at your front door... 6 deliveries in two weeks from Amazon and only 2 were recorded. Highly recommend that you do not sign up for this service. "Voted best customer service by JD Powers two years running..." I don't know how that is possible.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Ronetta, oh no! we are sorry to hear of your experience. At Brinks Home your security is our main priority and I am truly sorry to hear you have been having problems with your security system. We do offer a service plan for our accounts, in which it adds a Lifetime warranty on the equipment for any normal wear and tear. With that being said, I’d like the opportunity to take a further look into this matter. I have located your account with the information provided and will be more than happy to reach out. – Juana H.

Original review: July 30, 2020

It was a friend of a friend who recommended me to Brinks. Everything seems to be okay but our alarm system is over five years old now so I wish there was a way to upgrade those that are set outside. There should be a kinda warranty but it is what it is. We live in Las Vegas so it's hot and the heat beats everything else outside.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Jared, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. we are glad we can be your trusted home security provider. At Brinks Home your security and satisfaction are our priority.In regards to your system we would be happy to go over upgrade options simply reach out to us. Thank you for being sure sure and allowing us to give you a peace of mind. – Juana H.

Original review: July 29, 2020

Monitronics put the system in and Brinks took over. They didn’t replace anything so it’s the same one I had before. I feel fine with it and I’m satisfied.

Brinks Home Security™ response

John, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. At Brinks we care about your satisfaction and want to ensure you are getting the best quality of service. We are glad to hear we have kept you this far. If there is anything, we can do to make this experience better, please feel free to reach out. Thank you for being sure sure and trusting us with your security. – Juana H.

Original review: July 29, 2020

My Brinks system doesn't work. My phone, for some reason, is not connected to it anymore. I got my phone disconnected in March 'cause I got a divorce. I called to give them my new number, but I don't think it's registering. Their reps have been super nice. The rep was gonna send somebody out, but because of COVID-19, I told her to wait. I also was gonna cut it off because I noticed that they creep my prices up every now and then. It was almost $50 and I was like, "I'm not paying that much." They took it down to 39, which is still high but it wasn't almost 50.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Carole, thank you for taking the time to leave us your honest feedback. At Brinks Home we take this type of matters very serious as your security is our priority. I would like to reassure you we are here to help, and would be more than happy to take a further look into this matter. I have located your account with us, and I will be more than happy to reach out to you. – Juana H.

Brinks Home Security™ Company Information