(Previously MONI)

4.1/5 (865 ratings)

About Brinks Home Security™

Brinks Home offers a variety of home security and home automation equipment to keep your home safe and secure. The company has three plans, which each come with a 30-day trial period. Set up your Brinks Home package yourself or hire a professional to install it. Brinks Home systems include 24/7 professional monitoring and a two-year warranty.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Product warranties
  • Simple setup
  • Compatible with smart-home tech

Cons

• Strict cancellation policy
  • No cameras in basic package

Bottom Line

Brinks offers technologically advanced systems at affordable rates. Although the cancellation policy could be better, we like its straightforward pricing and additional equipment options.

Top Brinks Home Security™ Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… Somebody tried to break into my house one day and I had set the alarm. They opened the window and it set off the alarms so my neighbors ran out and cops showed up. I feel more ...

Verified

I added one camera, then I added a keypad in my bedroom. Brinks came out pretty fast and they also replaced a keypad downstairs, because my ex-husband punched it, and they were su...

Brinks Home Security costs

Brinks packages start between $199 and $699. Systems are customizable, so expect to pay more if you want additional equipment or upgrades. Monthly monitoring fees range from $39.99 per month to $49.99 per month.

• Upfront cost: $199 to $699
  • Monitoring price range: $39.99 per month to $49.99 per month
  • Installation fee: $200 to $450

Costs vary by location, however, so it’s best to contact a representative for the most accurate estimate.

For more, compare pricing for Ring vs. Brinks, Brinks vs. Vivint and SimpliSafe vs. Brinks.

Brinks Home Security packages

Brinks Home Security has three professionally monitored security systems: Smart Security Essential, Smart Security Complete and Smart Security Ultimate.

You can install a system yourself or request professional setup for a fee. The entire system is wireless, so no drilling is involved. Brinks offers an industry-standard 36-month contract.

• Smart Security Essential: For $199, the Smart Security Essential package includes a control panel, wireless motion detector, two door sensors, a yard sign and window stickers. Monitoring services are $39.99 per month. This system is designed for DIY installation.
  • Smart Security Complete: For $349, the Smart Security Complete package comes with everything in the Essential plan plus a doorbell camera. Monitoring service with this plan costs $44.99 per month.
  • Smart Security Ultimate: For $699, the Smart Security Ultimate package comes with everything in the Essential and Complete packages plus an extra door sensor and an outdoor camera. Monitoring services are $49.99 per month. Professional installation is required for the camera.

Brinks Equipment

All of Brinks’ equipment comes with a two-year warranty. You can use voice command technologies like Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa with specific Brinks Home systems. The Smart Security systems are compatible with Alarm.com, Google Assistant, Siri and Alexa. Plans from Brinks Home come with the following equipment:

Smart Security EssentialSmart Security CompleteSmart Security Ultimate
Outdoor camera
Smart Security Essential2 sensors
Smart Security Complete2 sensors
Smart Security Ultimate3 sensors

You can add additional equipment, like indoor and outdoor cameras, to your system for an extra charge, including HD indoor cameras, carbon monoxide detectors, extra door sensors, glass break detectors and extra motion detectors.

Brinks Home Security FAQ

Do I have to install my Brinks system myself?
Brinks makes its systems easy to install yourself. All you have to do is unpack the box Brinks sends you, put the devices in the correct spots, plug them in and activate the system. If you have a more complex piece of technology you’d like to install, Brinks can put you in touch with a technician for professional installation.
What if I move homes? Can I still use my system?
You can still use your system if you move. The benefit of having a wireless, DIY system is that it’s easy to take down and set up if you’re relocating.
What is Brinks’ cancellation policy?
The Nest Secure system is month-to-month and can be canceled whenever you like; however, after the 30-day period, you won’t be able to return your equipment for a refund. For the Smart Security systems, you also get a 30-day trial period. If you cancel a Brinks contract after the trial period, you will still have to pay your balance in full.
What home automation features come with Brinks Home?
Brinks’ Smart Security systems can be paired with smart-home devices such as smart lights, locks and thermostats. Users can pair their security systems to work with Alexa, Google Assistant or Siri. In addition, users can access all their smart-home tech 24/7 through the Brinks Home mobile app.

Is Brinks Home Security good?

We recommend Brinks Home for its affordable plans, customizable options, risk-free trial period and good warranty. Brinks Home prices — especially for the basic plan — are competitive. The company offers both self-installation and professional setup options. Its three-year contract and strict cancellation policy aren’t ideal, but these are common among other companies in the industry.

For more, see how Brinks compares against our top picks for home security systems.

Brinks Home Security™ Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brinks Home Security™?

Original review: May 10, 2021

I live out in the country and for years, I didn't have a security system. I'd leave my back door unlocked. I'm a hunter and I have weapons in the house and some memorabilia when I was in the service, and I thought, "Man, I gotta just get an alarm system on that." So, I did. I've had this system a long time. It used to be Monitronics, but Brinks took over and bought them. I didn't want to interrupt the service for the security system.

I rarely call because I haven't had to but within the past two months, I had one of their service guys out only because I don't know how this works. The system was older, so they had to update it. I was getting these messages saying that it wasn't reading my system, or it wasn't picking it up. Then, 10 hours later, I would get another text message. At first, I thought it was the house. So, I called Brinks and they said, "It's because your software's up to date," They sent the guy out and he was out here right on time right when I scheduled. He was a really nice fella. He took care of it, and I haven't got one of those messages, so I assumed it worked. They worked on the panels to upgrade it. I changed my own batteries on the sensors. On the main panel, I didn't know how to do that, and he showed me how to do it. But he was really nice, really professional and got it to work right.

I would put a camera somewhere in the house, though. Other than that, I'm pretty happy. One thing that's pretty cool about the system is where I live, sometimes the weather gets kind of violent squirrely and thunderstorms can be a tornado in a second, and the alarm system will tell me. It'll beep at me and it'll turn red. It notifies you when there's really bad weather really close like tornadoes. It's very helpful.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Edward,hearing that you are happy with our service best thing we could hope for! Your feedback means a lot to us. Thank you for choosing Brinks Home. Do not hesitate to reach out to us at any time. -Daniela S.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 4, 2021

We did not have an alarm system and my husband and I were both working full time. There was just the two of us in the house so the salesman’s approach put things in layman’s terms for us both and that sold the deal. My service was upgraded because we had a break in on December of 2016 and the alarm did not respond the way it should have. So instead of taking Brinks to court, we talked it out with them. Instead of going through a whole court hassle, they offered us outdoor cameras for free because we only had the alarm system. They kept the price the same. It’s less than $47 a month they take out of my account once a month. All these years later, I’m still with Brinks.

My husband passed away three years ago so I'm widowed and I'm at home alone. Now, if I accidentally stub the alarm or disable it or go downstairs when it's set to pick up all motion, and I just happen to stumble downstairs at the middle of the night and forget to disable it, I immediately get the alert. It’s a text message and a phone call simultaneously.

I love the ability to pull up my cameras from my cell phone and to answer the door remotely if I'm not at home. I’m able to monitor it online. Brinks has a quick response time in the event that I have a problem. Recently, the side camera was not connecting to the internet. I knew it was my internet service but I had my refrigerator moved to do some flooring and that unplugged the side camera from the system. I couldn't get back there to see it was unplugged so they immediately sent out a third-party technician to check out the problem. It was a reasonable cost. I pay my bill online and it's never late. The system and the professionalism and knowledge base that the representatives have is second to none. I would never switch.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Sharon, we are thrilled to have you as part of the family! Thank you for sharing your kind words with us. Here at Brinks Home we work hard to meet expectations like yours, and we’re happy to hear we hit the mark for you and that we were able to provide you will a great on your monthly monitoring payment. Feel free to reach out to us at any time! - Daniela S.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

We were signed up with Monitronics and we haven't had anything done to our alarm system for years. It was trouble-free and then, we had a couple of sensors that failed because they were beyond their expiration. When I called the number, I found out that Brinks had bought that company so I arranged for a service call to have that sensor changed and to update the system. When getting ahold of customer service, the wait times are way too long. I was on probably hold for 20 minutes on the main number and they annoy the heck out of you by constantly playing the same message about going down their portal and emailing or texting them. I'm 73 years old and I've tried to tell companies a hundred times that older people do not want to do all that. We can but that's not how we were raised.

I want to talk to somebody and I don't want to be on hold. I put it on speaker and wait and wait. You can do the dishes and load the washer before they answer you. Brinks is no different than Verizon or any other big company. They all do the same thing and it annoys the heck out of the consumers. But I was able to get someone that speaks English. So that was helpful because you call some of the big companies and you can't understand them to save your life, and that's more annoying. But the persons that I got to talk to, I didn't have that problem with.

The tech who came to update the system was nice although he wasn't as familiar with our system as some of the other people. But he was getting talked through by the supervisor. This was on service call number one. After he updated the chips, he found out that we did not have the updated software or the updated device to comply with the updated chip so he couldn't complete the job. So that was annoying. He called the supervisor and they said that they would overnight the software to me. This was on a Monday so I thought he would be back Wednesday. But apparently, there was some cord or some device that they had not forwarded to him so he couldn't come back. He was then scheduled for Monday, which was yesterday. He was supposed to be there between 8:00 and noon.

I was going to call half an hour in advance so at 20 minutes to 12:00, I called the main number. They said my tech was so and so and they would give me the number. I had already been on hold with the main number so I said okay. I figured I would just call the tech because I've done that with Spectrum. It turned out the number is the center that dispatches the techs. So, I was on hold again. I finally got ahold of them and they said that if I would hold again, they would call the tech and find out. I was on hold for a few more minutes and then, she said that he was 20 minutes away.

It turned out to be half an hour. So, it was 20 after 12:00, which wasn't terrible. It’s not that far from 8:00 to 12:00. I realized that. The tech came back and completed the job. So that was good. He checked all the sensors and everything's working right now. He was more familiar with the Spectrum system and some of the other techs that came from Brinks so they're learning and trying to get all the tools for the other devices.

It would have been good of the former company that when they were bought out, somebody should have sent a letter to the new customer saying Monitronics has been bought by Brinks and give the number because you'd get caught off guard and you’d think the company has gone out of business. When they answered the phone, it said they were Brinks out of Texas. I asked when it happened and they said that it was a while back. But that's not probably Brinks' fault or maybe it is. Brinks has been a large company for years and years. It's not like they're fly-by-night. So, I don’t expect that they have experience. It's just the idea would have been nice to know that we were under a different company now.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Michael, thank you for your honest feedback. At Brinks Home Security we aim to provide the best customer experience for all of our customers and we apologize for any inconvenience. We are glad that the technician was able to resolve your issue. If there is anything else we can do, please do not hesitate to reach out. -Edwin Q.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

We've been a Brinks/Monitronics customer for four or five years now. We had them in Virginia where we lived originally. Since we moved to North Carolina about four years back, we've had nothing but problems. It's been a nightmare. The most recent visit we had with them, we had some sensors that had failed. This was the first time in many visits that we had a Brinks employee come to the house. He was fantastic and restored my faith in the brand. We were waiting out our contracts so that we could go somewhere else because the service and the support have not been there. He assured me that they've done a lot of in-house hiring and there's a lot more in-house labor. Instead of having somebody come from three to six hours away in North Carolina, he can service me from his Virginia location. He took care of the problem and he's gonna come back. He upsold me some more cameras and some more security features.

Now that I am getting the support that I need from Brinks, it's definitely great. The pairing with alarm.com makes things so simple and easy. I'm much more interested in the home automation and the fact that I can pair my garage door and my thermostats to my alarm.com app. It's not as easy as just clicking a button but the ability to have everything controlled on one central app on my phone is the selling point.

There was another security company whose whole thing was, “We are cloud-based and automation-focused. We're here to take over your current contract and take over your current system.” They were running a special and had me call Brinks to find out what I owed left on the contract. They said they'd buy me out of my contract. I did call Brinks with the gentleman sitting right here. I asked the price to get rid of Brinks and it was like $1,200.

This gentleman wanted to sell me services for 70 to 80 bucks a month. I called Brinks back up to find out what I was paying with them and my bill is either $20 or $30. It's significantly less than this startup guy wanted. I said, “If you want my business and you're gonna buy me out of my contract, you're gonna at least match the price. Otherwise, there's no value.” He looked at me and said, “I gotta pack my stuff up because I can't come close to your price.” Long story short, Brinks' price for the value is definitely there. I've had to fight for several years to get to where I am with our pricing and the setup that we have but what I pay, what services I have and what features I have in my alarm and automation, they can't be beat.

A year or so back, I was fed up with Brinks and I called ADT. I said, “How soon can you guys get out, replace everything, and I'll pay the contract myself.” ADT was gonna come out and do the installation but their pricing was not where Brinks was. As upset as I was with Brinks at the time, I was not interested in paying double or triple what my current services are unless they plan on doubling or tripling the technology or the convenience or the cameras and make it worth my while.

I'm excited to call Brinks back out, have a couple more cameras installed and continue to upgrade and build on my system. The more things evolve, the more things become one platform and one standard. Brinks is doing a great job of not only keeping up with the times but keeping competitive as well. Also, the coverage in this area was absolutely deplorable but that appears as though it has changed quite a bit, and it's done a 180.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Jonathan,thank you for taking the time to leave us this great review about our services. At Brinks Home Security we care about your satisfaction and want to ensure you’re getting the best customer service. We look forward to protecting your home for many years to come and please do not hesitate to reach out to us at any time. -Daniela S.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

About a decade ago, Brinks was the most well-known, and they came out this far. The customer service team at Brinks has been great so far. I hadn’t used the system in like seven years. I started leaving my dogs out when I leave the house if I go away for work. I'm out the house too long. I didn't know I could leave the motion sensor off. I didn't want the cops showing up and shooting my dogs, so I just didn't use it. When we had a power outage weeks back, I was getting alarms. The battery was dead but the guy came out and said it just needed to be charged.

Brinks should really consider making those little signs that they put up. I don't understand how the company, Ring, is so new. They're a tech company and Brinks has been around a lot longer. Brinks should have a similar sign outside that lights up at night so bad guys can see them. Brinks could also reach out to their customers more often and say, “Hey, why aren't you using your system at all?” I get frustrated very easily with automated systems when I call the company. It’d be nice if Brinks could help work through some problems. They should do follow-ups with some new products. I'm looking at the products online, and they're expensive compared to a lot of other options out there. My friend was telling me I should just get my own type of security camera system instead of paying for the one that Brinks provided.

Brinks could look at competitors a bit more and see what's out there since people are more tech-savvy and not so reliant on companies anymore. We can just buy a system, set it up ourselves, and do the redundancies in power and battery back-up. We’re not all that helpless when it comes to the tech part of it. But the security part of it is outstanding. That’s why I keep it. Also, Brinks has great people to speak with. I like speaking to every person I've ever spoken with at Brinks. The service that they provide is great. The people that they normally have are great. I'm satisfied.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Sunill,at Brinks Home Security we strive to do better than we were the day before. I am glad that you provide us with this feedback so we can do better! We look forward to protecting your home for many years to come. please do not hesitate to reach out to us, we will be more than happy to assist . -Daniela S.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Our IQ panel went bad. Got hot and pushed the back panel open. Called and told them what happened so they sent us another panel.. Called when we got it in the mail. We could barely understand their language. Over 1 hour on the phone to set up and change Password. The next person same thing. Can someone please call us and help us **. Thank you.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Karl, we are sorry to hear that your recent experience with us was frustrating. We strive to provide you with an excellent customer experience, and appreciate you reaching out to let us know about your recent issue. I have located your account, and I will be reaching out directly to help resolve this for you. Please allow 48-72 hours for us to look into this matter and contact you via phone or email. We appreciate your time and patience and look forward to speaking with you soon.- Daniela S.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

I received an automated text reminding me of service call the next day… but at a DIFFERENT time than scheduled! No reply to my text reply asking about the actual appt time… for 24+ hours. Then I finally got a text reply saying they would drop me from the queue if I didn’t respond in 5 minutes. I DID… but still no reply!! :(

Brinks Home Security™ response

Lois, we are sorry to hear that your recent experience with us was frustrating. We strive to provide you with an excellent customer experience, and appreciate you reaching out to let us know about your recent issue. I have located your account, and I will be reaching out directly to help resolve this for you. Please allow 48-72 hours for us to look into this matter and contact you via phone or email. We appreciate your time and patience and look forward to speaking with you soon.- Daniela S.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Careful and focused customer service was displayed during my recent service. I was respected and engaged with intelligent and informative conversation and guidance. The type of service that was completed addressed all of my questions and provided important and helpful details of how to use the Brinks Home system effectively .

Brinks Home Security™ response

Natalie, that you for taking the time to leave us a review. At Brinks Home we love hearing when our customers are satisfied with the service that we provide. If there is anything, we can assist with please let us know. – Daniela S.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

When I called to see what to do, the person told me it would cost 50$?to have a house call. I tried to get the set screw out & couldn’t, I told the agent I couldn’t. I’m almost 76yrs, old & am by myself, I really thought someone could come out for no charge being I pay 42$ month. Not a good thing!

Brinks Home Security™ response

Eleanora, we are sorry to hear about the inconveniences please call us at 1800-447-9239 so we can assist you reducing the copay for your lifetime warranty.- Daniela S.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

He was very helpful and answered all the questions I had. Very polite as well. The service was fast and he asked if I needed help with anything else. He also checked who were the main contacts on my list.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Reyna, we appreciate you taking the time to leave a review about your recent experience with our customer service group. This is exactly the kind of experience we strive to always provide our customers here at Brinks Home. Thank you for joining the Brinks Home Customer Family! We look forward to providing you with peace of mind for years to come. -Daniela

Brinks Home Security™ Company Information