Call toll free
2.66/5

(Previously MONI)

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Brinks Home Security™ is one of the largest home security alarm monitoring companies in the U.S. Headquartered in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, Brinks Home Security secures approximately 1 million residential and commercial customers through highly responsive, simple home security solutions that are backed by expertly trained professionals. The company is supported by the nation’s largest network of independent authorized dealers, providing products and support to customers in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.

Brinks Home Security™ Gallery (2)
Consumers Choice Award Winner
A+BBB Rating
Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Home Security Systems J.D. Power
View More View More
Get your FREE quote now

2973 Brinks Home Security™ Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

We had an HLA that paid for security, so I thought we might as well take advantage of it. I went looking through the home security system that had been paid for, but it was gonna be more expensive. A buddy of mine had Brinks and he said to check them out because their system might be less expensive. I asked the reps at Brinks the ins and outs, how the system works, and how hard it was gonna be to install and get the equipment set up. Everything seemed reasonable as far as the setup and the cost. We have a growing family and I travel for some work, so I wanted to have more peace of mind when I was out of town.

The installation of the system was done solely on my own, but that was pretty easy and the instructions that were included for the installation were straightforward. Alternatively, they have a number that you call and the techs can troubleshoot. But there is also a video that I can watch and do the installation on my own, so it would be more reasonable as far as the cost.

Brinks has everything as far as cameras and a few other things like that, so they definitely offered a lot, but I didn't decide to go that route. The break protection on the windows, the sensors for the opening and the shutting of the doors, having the voice-over, and the carbon monoxide detection were sufficient with what I was looking for. The quality of the equipment is good as I haven't had any hiccups yet.

I like that the system is a bit newer-age and not all-wired like it used to be. That way, it isn't as cumbersome as the wired systems that you see these days. The smartphone features of the app are good and quick. I have a tablet which is nice and gets us updates automatically. Whether I'm at the house or not, as long as I have a connection to data either through 3G or internet, I could look to see who's going in and out, and arm or disarm the system. I can also do that from my phone since all that comes to it.

The cost of the system was like the cost of a gym membership and I bought the equipment outright. I am paying for the monitoring and I've got a couple months free because I was referred, so it's good quality for the price. But the only thing that came up was they didn't automatically add the referral. They told me it was gonna be two or three months free, but I received my first two bills, so I had to call them and they said that there was a little snafu. They said they had it on there, but they didn't run it through. But they said the next couple of months would be free. I stayed on top of some of those things and they were able to take care of me.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Josh, the words described in your review are so kind and thoughtful, thank you for taking the time to leave us these kind words. The experience described in your review is the exact kind of experience we strive to bring to all of our customers.We look forward to being your trusted home security for many years to come. If there is anything we can do to keep your time with us anything other than amazing please feel free to reach out to us. -Jacob B

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

One day, my system was not working and I went online just to see which one was the fastest on response and had good customer service. It was Monitronics which turned into Brinks and I've been with them for about five years. With Brinks, the service is a little better. Their customer service is great too. They really understand you, they take their time to see, and they're always right there for you.

We experienced a small mistake wherein something happened in my keypad. When the alarm went off, nobody went to my house. Thank God a burglar never came and nobody stole anything from my house. But, I was pissed off and I wanted to cancel everything. The Brinks rep explained to me that somebody hit the code. If they see on their system that we put the code, they don't call nor send a police officer. They also told me that they have to pay a lot of money for a police officer to go over our house and I gotta understand their way.

Then, the rep said, "For you to not leave our company..." and transferred me to a department. The rep from that department told me that they have a new keypad which records and takes pictures of you every time you put the code. With it, I had to sign a contract up about a year more or two. Brinks also hooked me up with a couple of extra things such as a doorbell camera and a door lock. They helped me out really good. I was gonna leave the company just because of the misunderstanding and they took their time to make me a happy customer.

Still, if Brinks had called their customers and advertised their new stuff, maybe I would've had no burglars go to my house or try to break in. They should do that every time that they have something new. Every year that passes, something else new comes in. So, I'm pretty sure that they can just reach out to the customers or hook up their long term customers without something happening.

Also, the customer doesn't have to pay a lot of money when new stuff comes in. I have my own business too and in my own business, when something else comes new or better, I'd just give it to my customer. The customer, then, is gonna be happy and gonna appreciate being part of my family because he's gonna feel that he's being protected. Other than that, everything has been great. The installation of the new equipment also went pretty smoothly. I recommended Brinks to my dad right after everything was in my house and when he saw everything, he said, "I wanna get that."

Brinks Home Security™ response

Jose, Thank you for taking the time to leave us this amazing feedback. We love to hear from customer when are doing the best we can. We certainly love the feedback in regards to advertising, we do send out offers via email to ensure customers know what options they have. However a lot of customers actually like to keep the equipment they have as it is more convenient. Notheless we will take this feedback and move forward with it, if there is anything we can do please don't hesitate to reach out to us. - Jacob B

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

A next-door neighbor broke into my house and stole a chainsaw that I had in the living room. I used it to get wood to better heat up my house. I priced Brinks and ADT, and Brinks offered the better price when it came to the systems. At that time, we were struggling money-wise and still trying to get out of debt. I also like the features included in the package. I’ve been showing my daughters this button to hit if there’s ever an emergency. I told them that if anything would happen, my phone would ring. I told them to get my phone and to say what's going on. I also have the app downloaded. So instead of us arming as we’re walking out the door, we walk out and lock everything then as soon as I get into the vehicle, I arm the alarm. Then I get the message that the alarm has been activated.

I am still yet to put the outside camera though. We’ve been getting snow and it’s hard to find a place to put it in. I also don’t want my next-door neighbors knowing that we got this security system. I wanna see if I can install that outside camera in a location where they won’t be able to see it. My girlfriend even said, “Let’s not put up the sign.” If the neighbors happen to wanna come in, the alarm’s gonna get them by surprise.

One morning, I walked outside to start my truck and I forgot that the alarm was on. The alarm sounded after the countdown ended and I was receiving messages. That’s one feature that I enjoyed a lot because I know it was an accident but I knew that the system was working. I didn’t hear the alarm outside but my daughters heard the alarm go off in the house. They said it was a loud noise and they freaked out. When I came in, I was receiving emails and texts, message after message, that somebody came into the house and the alarm was activated. That was when I remembered that I forgot to deactivate the alarm.

Brinks' customer service reps were really helpful when they talked to my dad and to my friend. I have people listed down for the phone calls and they also got the messages right after the alarm went off. That was real awesome because they were able to get ahold of me right away and they were able to ask me if I was at home. I told them that everything was fine and that it was a mistake on my part. Customer service was really friendly with them and everything was resolved. I liked how quick the response was when the alarm sounded in the house and how quickly they shut it off after I deactivated everything and then me responding to them via text message. I let them know that I deactivated the alarm and that it was a mistake on my part.

I’ve been so used to where we can come in and out when we didn’t have the alarm. Even now that we have it, sometimes we wouldn’t arm it at night because we’re home and I figured it would be a little bit easier when we walk outside. I’m not having to check to make sure that the alarm hasn’t been activated. But when the neighbors next door are home, we activate everything. Law enforcement wasn’t notified when the alarm went off before but now I know that if someone comes in and they’re in here longer than they need to be, that alarm’s gonna go off and I know we’ll have law enforcement out here as soon as possible. All in all, I’ve been real satisfied with everything.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Fernando,the words described in your review are so kind and thoughtful, thank you for taking the time to leave us these kind words. The experience described in your review is the exact kind of experience we strive to bring to all of our customers. In regards to your neighbor we are sorry that this is what prompted the purchase but moving forward you will have peace of mind that you deserve. If there is anything we can do to keep your time with us anything other than amazing please feel free to reach out to us. The Brinks Home Security family looks forward to being your trusted home security. -Jacob B

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Our house got broken into and robbed and we weren't gonna stand for allowing that to happen again. The day after we got robbed, my wife told me to stay at home and to have the top two home security companies when she gets home from work and to get on a conference call to talk to them. Brinks Home Automation had a reasonable monthly fee considering what you get for service.

We also liked the a la carte system, whereas with some of the other companies, you gotta buy the different packages and your monthly service goes up if you want other things, and everything gets more expensive. That didn't happen with Brinks. As we added things, the monthly fee didn't change. The woman that we spoke to for about an hour wasn't trying to add more things and wasn't trying to pressure us into anything at all, which was nice. She talked very nicely to my 9-year-old daughter. The staff we dealt with at Brinks was so nice, especially after a horrible event like that, that when we hung up the phone, my 9-year-old, who had nightmares the night before, said that she felt safe in the house, and that meant a lot to me.

My wife and my stepson also felt safe in the house. They went through great training when the system was set up. The devices were so easy to put in, whereas ADT and a lot of other companies said they would have someone come out to our home and set things up. We just had an unwanted visitor in our home and we didn't want someone else in our home, which we didn't have with Brinks.

We got the security system set up and we did the testing, but I wish there was a way to do a live test or to actually send it to the police department. If we contact our local PD and say that we are doing a live test, the phone call gets sent to the dispatch and they say that the system is going on, although the police department already knows it's a test. We tested everything and they were able to see it, but we wanted to see how quick it actually made it to the police department. Another thing is we wish that that alarm would not silence and just keep going. The alarm here goes off, then stops after a set period of time, which we thought was gonna stay going. We are in a rural area and we don't want it to silence after half an hour. We want it to keep blaring.

We've had other people that we've shown the app to who have the doorbell cameras from other people and have the other security systems, but they can't believe the quality of the cameras that I have or the sensitivity of them. It said in the documentation that the camera would pick up something X distance, but it is picking up things twice to three times the amount of distance. I can see my neighbor coming out of his house at least 100 yards away. It scared the hell out of the UPS man when he dropped the package off and the camera went off, and I thanked him through the camera. I'm blown away by the quality of this tiny doorbell camera. Everything has an amazing quality. It is an investment that one might wanna go into. It is well worth paying the monthly fee other than coming home and noticing that your house in disarray and someone touched everything, and the stuff that you can't have replaced are missing.

Brinks Home Security™ response

David, Being able to rely on and trust your security provider, is a very important aspect when it comes to a security company. I am overjoyed to know that we have been able to live up to your expectations. We thank you for choosing Brinks as the company to deliver your additional sense of security.Thank you for taking the time to leave us this great feedback. We truly value and appreciate the feedback you have given. Our goal is to give all of our customers peace of mind inside there home because that is what you deserve. -Jacob B

Original review: July 11, 2018

Getting everything set up with Brinks was okay. They sent somebody out. Over the phone, I kept asking for my full list. I never did anything over the phone as far as saying, "Yes sure, send somebody out" without having the price set. I said, "This guy came out and I don't like what they're showing me," and I was told that I don't have to buy it. We then came out and everything seemed all right. However, I got screwed around with the price. Everything was supposed to be free and all of a sudden I realized that the contract I signed was a three-year note and I wound up paying for everything anyhow. I'll probably switch to a cheaper provider when that expires unless they can drop my monthly fee down an awful lot.

Then, I wasn't satisfied with the service I got from the installer. He was pleasant and everything but when he left I realized that he didn't put a sensor on my back door. I was supposed to get one at every door. A second person came out and he added another glass breaker and door sensor, and I think the door sensor should have been there. I didn't know why it can't get installed. And I'm not getting my money's worth. He used up all the old equipment that was in here. All the sensors should have been replaced because the one that they put later on was a lot smaller than the other one. And they look nicer. He also kept my old key fob. With that key fob, you had to hold the button down which might be a safety factor if it's in your pocket because at times you butt dial somebody with your phone. I had to call and complain and I got a new key fob.

Still, their customer service team is an excellent team. They spend a good half hour on the phone over one issue. Once, I had a motion detector's verbal notification go off all the time even if you shut them off. My mother came by one time without saying anything and had the police on their way. I also had some people working in here and every time they got down off the ladder and walk within the sensor, it would go off. I muted it, but when I unmuted it, it went back to doing what it's doing. They told me that the system was programmed to do that. But the guy showed me what to do to turn it off. There was a second one while I was working and had a roof being put on. The guy put a brick on my window ledge and it barely tapped the glass but the glass breaker, which is 10 feet away, went off. It delighted me because it is that sensitive. Sometimes, something gets dropped in the family room and the verbal notification would go off.

The system also went off on us a couple of times and it's louder than hell. I don't think everyone's hooked up that way. But for some reason the one in the family room goes off and I don't know where the siren is coming from. It must just be coming out at the control panel because it's very loud. I can't have it going off in the middle of the night or thunderstorms, or anything like that. But the overall service I got from Brinks has been great. But if you go with them, double check what you're paying for and check at least one other or two other companies. And if you are going from one company to another, make sure if it says you get all new sensors, everything's supposed to be free sensors. Insist on it. If the guy won't put in new sensors, make him leave.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Gerald, It puts a smile on my face to know that we are able to satisfy our customers with the level of service we provide. In regards to your concerns with the monthly rate, we try to offer our customers a reasonable rate based on the amount of equipment and service being delivered. I have found your account and will be contacting you, as I would love the opportunity to speak you more in depth regarding this matter. -Jacob B

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brinks Home Security™?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 20, 2019

This is the worst company out there. I initially signed up with Monitronics. They were good. Then Brinks came along and took over. I recently sold my house. My contract was almost over so I called them to schedule the move of service. They said I had to renew my contract another 3 years. Plus they charged me $125 for the tech to come out and install a front and a back door. Since I moved to an apartment. I have called since to see what I can do about this extended contract. So today they told me I had to call within the first 30 days. I told them I have been calling but no one offers me the correct information. After so much runaround I've decided to file a lawsuit against them. They are terrible. Stay away from them.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Denice, We at Brinks Home we never mean to make any request a difficult one and we never do like to hear when a customer is wanting to cancel due to moving. We do offer an extensive relocation package that satisfies all of our customers, we apologize if this was not the case for you. With this being said I'd be happy to look into this matter further. I have located your account with us and I will investigate this matter further then reach out to you once its been complete to resolve this matter. -Jacob B

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 19, 2019

I've had my home security system since 2010 when it was Guardian, at some point Brinks took over. I've never once called, contacted or spoken to anyone at Brinks and decided to call and I suddenly I have a 5 year contract with them they are saying I signed. I could tell by the lack of professionalism and knowledge from the phone call to them that this was very fishy. I NEVER signed or agreed to any contract. I've paid them every month with autopay and now this. I am going to fight this to the end. I feel robbed.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Martha, We are sorry to hear that you are wanting to cancel your services with us. We do want to thank you for being a long time customer with us. Please allow me to look into this dispute further, I have located your account with us and I will be sure to reach out to you as soon as possible. -Jacob B

Original review: May 17, 2019

I have Brinks at work and I never had a problem with the alarm system. The system has been in there for seven years now. It's a good system and I decided to put it over in the house as well. It's been there going two months now. When it went off by accident, I disarmed it fast and there were no phone calls from Brinks. With the system in place, I feel secure whenever I'm out and at home.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Hugo,we are so glad to hear that we are able to protect your home during your time of need. Brinks Home Security has one of the fastest response times in the industry and we actually have the highest in customer satisfaction. We are filled with joy knowing we can bring you to the Brinks Home Security. -Jacob B

Original review: May 17, 2019

Paid $60 a month for complete coverage however when I experienced an events the services failed every time. I had a fire alarm scare that my security system did not notify anyone only to find out the fire Alarm monitor they installed was faulty and did not work! I had someone banging on my door and shining flashlights in my windows at night and my cameras didn’t capture ANY of it and to make it worse they wouldn’t even connect so I couldn’t even see who they were to describe them to the police. Called to complain and they told me I would have pay to have someone come out to troubleshoot the problem or sign another 2 year contract to waive the fee and get one out of my 3 cameras replaced?! Refused to let me out of my contract that only has 5 months left without paying hundreds of dollars despite the fact that half of my equipment is working.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Erin, At Brinks Home Security we care for your satisfaction and hearing of this recent experience us alarming. In regards to your system we do have a dedicated team to assist with technician issues and if need be we do have 5 diamond certified technicians we can send out under your service plan with us. We are sorry if we have caused any inconvenience with this matter and want to ensure we resolve this matter amicably.I have located your account with us and I will be sure to reach out to you. -Jacob B

Original review: May 16, 2019

Updated on 05/21/2019: I have written several reviews on multiple websites regarding Brinks and their tech support and customer service. Saying they are extremely poor does not begin to tell the severity of their incompetence and lack of integrity. I did get a few responses from Brinks, but it is far too little too late. The system is fixed now, no thanks to Brinks. It cost me $400 which Brinks has declined to reimburse me for even though it was clearly their fault.

Just a recap for those who may not have seen my other reviews. I had a system installed about 3 weeks ago and it has been a complete nightmare. The system never worked properly until about 3 days ago. The thermostat being the worst hardware issue thus far. With wait times of over 45 minutes every time I call and tech support people that do not know much about the system itself. Most times they have to bring alarm.com into the conversation. Needless to say, support from Brinks is the absolute worst. I have spent over 12 hours of my time on the phone with Brinks troubleshooting issues with the new system they installed. I was forced to pay a third party HVAC company to come out and fix the issue with the thermostat so my family would not be in danger from the heat.

I was told that they would not pay the bill because I was the one who installed the thermostat. I reminded them that the installer that they sent told me that I had to install it myself. He told me that "NO" Brinks distributor or installer would install the thermostat due to liability issues. Brinks told me that “I” should have requested a different installer. My argument is that Brinks clearly knew I was getting the thermostat, I ordered the equipment from them and they sent the equipment to my house. How would I know as the customer that the installer was not telling me the truth? In my mind, I believe most people would agree, he was the company representative that Brinks sent. Why would they dispatch an installer that couldn’t or wouldn’t install the thermostat if there were installers available that could. I believe most people would come to this same conclusion.

Just for the record, I did install the thermostat correctly per the instructions. This was confirmed and verified later by a different Brinks distributor, the one that should have been send the first time. It seems the instructions are incorrect! The new distributor's installer has seen this before. There is a jumper on the thermostat that the instructions tell you to remove if you have a particular set of connections which I did. Putting this jumper back on fixed the issue. Again, this is clearly not my fault.

As a side note, Alarm.com told me that they do not recommend consumers install their thermostats but it is up to Brinks and other re-sellers to make that decision. Alarm.com is a B2B company and not a direct to Consumer Company. Their reaction to me telling them that the instructions were incorrect is that they will look into it and fix them if needed. I feel I should be reimbursed for the full $400 I spent out of pocket because none of this was my fault in any way. I paid for Brinks to install the system and it was not done. I had to protect my family and do what needed to be done to ensure their safety. I was left no choice because Brinks told me that they could not get to it for a week or longer.

I call the HVAC Company because my house was setting at 88 degrees and it was going to be 95+ the next day. I had to leave my house open to keep the air circulating, making the security system worst than useless because now I could not secure my home at all. I have a wife with a heart condition and pets, this was not safe for them. I express this to Brinks and all they could say is that was the best they could do. Integrity is important, and in my mind Brinks has none. You can say anything you want to make the customer feel better but unless you follow through with actions they are ultimately only shallow words. I am not fooled by apologies, false promises, and misdirection. Actions speak more than words and Brinks actions speak volumes.

Original review: I got my system from Brinks about 2 weeks ago and it has never worked correctly. First I had issues with the door lock reporting an error that I could not get rid of. I also had a door that kept being bypassed. After being on the phone for almost 4 hrs we finally got the error cleared and the bypassed door fixed. I was also told by tech support that I could not program animation times but found out later that I could from Alarm.com. Now the thermostat doesn't work and it is going to be in the mid 90's. I had to pay service one $400 dollars only to find out that the thermostat from Brinks is bad. Brinks told me it would be a week before that could get an installer out so I put the old thermostat back in. Over the last week Brinks has cost me 10 hours of my time on the phone 1 full day of PTO and now $400. Not Happy at all.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Mark, Our customer tech support team is a dedicated team that strives to resolve matters to the best of their ability, as some issues require a technician to come out to the home. We care for your satisfaction at Brinks Home. Please allow me to assist you in this matter further and help get you the access you need. If you could please send me an email with your account information and I will be sure sure to reach out to you. -Jacob

Original review: May 16, 2019

I have a cabin that is pretty secluded in the woods and it was broken into. So, I needed a security system. I don't have Wi-Fi out there, so I had to do it on a cellular signal. And Brinks had the best system for what I needed. I've talked to a few folks over there while I was setting up my security system. It is one of those things where if there is a break in, the alarm will let me know when it happened. But it is not gonna catch anything because it is so far out there that they could clear out the entire house by the time the police got out there. So, I'm not really gonna catch anybody in the act, but it will at least let me know that it was broken into. Everything has been going pretty well so far. I'd recommend Brinks to friends.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Cory,It is so amazing to hear you love the quality of your system. Here at Brinks Home Security we strive to ensure the quality of our product is the best of the best. Thank you for taking the time to leave us this amazing feedback. We look forward to providing you with the best for many years to come. -Jacob B

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 15, 2019

I signed a contract with Monitronics in 2012 which expired in 2017. So I was on month to month. However, June 2018 it changed to Brinks. I tried to cancel in June 2018. The person at Brinks told me it would be good to put on hold for 6 months. Brinks would call me to see if I wanted their service at my new house. I told them to call on my cell phone not landline. Brinks called me November 10, 2018 about alarm going off. I informed them I did not live there. They told me to call on Monday. I did call. Was on hold. Got off the phone. I did not call back. They told me I was suppose to call and continue or cancel my service contract. I do not have a contract that is valid with Brinks. Brinks being electronically taking $40.13 from my checking account. I never got an email telling me they were doing this until late April 2019.

I cancelled the contract immediately. I was told I would not be refunded. It is $180 that was stolen from me without any service for that money. I had my bank to help with the dispute. I was told today that I owed $133. I really do not feel I owe anything. I did not have a contract with Brinks. I never got the phone call I was told I would receive in order to start the service back. I feel like I was robbed. I have talked to Brinks and was told I cannot have this taken off my account. Customer service is not very good. Linda **.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Linda, The experience described in your review is the opposite of what we strive to bring our customers on a day to day basis. We do have a relocation department dedicated to assisting customers with there relocation. There has to be a misunderstanding because our relocation department does not make outbound calls, as they are inbound department. I am happy to look into this matter further and provide a amicable resolution. I have located your account based off of the information provided and I will investigate this matter further then reach out to you and provide a resolution. -Jacob B

Original review: May 14, 2019

I initially signed up with NorthStar. The sales guy was very nice, we had just purchased the home and he was a door to door person. Everything was going fine, no rate changes, no equipment issues. Then I received a mailer stating that they were purchased by Monitronics. Nothing changed, I was able to continue using my system, mobile app, etc. Once Monitronics turned into Brinks, I have been very unhappy.

1) Pretty sure I didn't not receive any information about the change.

2) Price continues to increase without notice.

3) Called technical support about a sensor that keeps faulting. I changed the battery and it still faults. Stayed on the phone with Tech Support for them to tell me that I had the battery in backwards and the sensor was backwards. I sent pictures to show them that everything was correct. They then said they could send a technician out for $50 or they can order me another sensor for $30. Needless to say, I just bypass the fault!

4) I cannot log into Alarm.com or Brinks mobile app. When I try to reset my password by email...I never receive an email. Matter of fact I never have received an email from Brinks... Yes my email is correct on my account details. So I am unable to reset my password. I called customer service and she was unable to help because the system was down and she couldn't look up my login information. I have since downloaded the NorthStar Connect app again and logged in successfully and am able to use that mobile app. Getting someone on the phone takes forever, chatting gives generic answers or suggests help pages that don't help.

5) My alarm went off. I should have received an email OR if I could have connected to the mobile app I could have seen and disarmed or canceled the call. Nope. They called an emergency contact who contacted my husband but by the time he got there the police had already been called. Although in my account it has an order of who to contact and my email is 2nd...that didn't happen. Did I mention I have never received an email from Brinks, not even in my Junk or Spam.

6) I called to try and cancel but I am stuck in this 60 month contract and would continue to be billed. I have paid on time since 09/2015... I guess loyalty means nothing.

7) When you call customer service, you get sent from one department to another having to repeat the same information each time.

I am just very unhappy with the service and customer service and would love to just get out of the contract. My rate has increase about $10 but I have lost some functions...paying more for less. I contracted with NorthStar. There are people who are happy with Brinks and some that are not, that is business. But why hold people if they are truly unhappy with the service.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Natalie, at Brinks Home Security, your satisfaction and protection mean the world to us. We apologize for the experience you had when calling for technical assistance, please know that we never mean to make any interaction with us a difficult one. In regards to the name change, we actually did send our both email and letter notifying customers of the rebranding. We never like to hear when a customer is wanting to cancel there services as that means a change in your protection. Please allow me to assist you with this matter further, I have located your account with us and I will be sure to reach out to you as soon as possible. -Jacob B

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 14, 2019

I was a customer with Monitronics before they were bought up by Brinks. Monitronics had great customer service and after work hours when I needed to call. Everything seemed fine with Brinks after they took over except that I cannot cancel my account. It is so frustrating. I moved out over a month ago and still haven't been able to cancel my services. They are supposed to send an email to you once you tell them you want to cancel and you have to go through some DocuSign procedures. Well, I never got that email, even after the 48 hours, even after calling back 3 more times.

I finally requested that they mail me a paper statement that I have to physically sign and send back (in 2019!!!). Currently still waiting to receive this paper cancel notice in the mail. Basically someone else is living in my house and I have no way of canceling my service, seems pretty ridiculous. Sure hope I don't get charged for the month but I'm not sure of that either. I don't recommend them.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Monica ,At Brinks Home Security we never like to hear when a customer calling to cancel simply because we strive for satisfaction in all our customers. In regard to our 30-day cancellation process. This is due to us Brinks Home notifying your local municipalities that you no longer receiving monitoring services, and which stops you from receiving false alarm fees. Please know that we want to ensure we get a speedy resolution to this matter. I have located an account based off the address provided. I will be reach out to you as soon as possible. -Jacob B

Original review: May 13, 2019

They will waste as much of your time as possible to try and deter you from canceling. This includes aggressive tactics and few times transferring me to either the wrong department or just hanging up on me. After 1 hour and 42 minutes I was finally told they would send me an email within 2 days and service can be canceled after 30 days. Not sure they will even show up. This company has obviously taken the hurdles to cancel and raised them too high. I get it, you have to try to redirect the customer but they will end up with a class action lawsuit or action from the Attorney General. That is where I'm going to complain since I haven't had much luck finding a place to leave a bad review, they have blocked most of those. Stay FAR AWAY, this industry is changing overnight with cheaper better technology companies and Brinks is getting dirty trying to hold on. Disappointed Customer. Marcus

Brinks Home Security™ response

Marcus,At Brinks Home Security we never like to hear when a customer calling to cancel simply because we strive for satisfaction in all our customers. In regard to our 30-day cancellation process. This is due to us Brinks Home notifying your local municipalities that you no longer receiving monitoring services, and which stops you from receiving false alarm fees. Please know that we want to ensure we get a speedy resolution to this matter. I have located an account based off the address provided. I will be sure reach out to you as soon as possible. -Jacob B

Original review: May 13, 2019

We had an issue with our other security system before we could go through with Brinks, and Mackenzie would check up on me. She wasn’t pushy at all. She would just call and check in. She really helped me get things rolling once we got everything situated. We did the installation ourselves and it was pretty simple to work with the equipment. The response time with Brinks is amazing compared to what we had. We’re very impressed with that, so I would definitely say that we feel safer.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Kasey,here at Brinks your protection and satisfaction are must and we will do everything we can to ensure this. Thank you so much for not only allowing us to protect your most valuable investment but also taking the time to leave us this review. We look forward to being your trusted home security for many years to come. If there is anything you need please don't hesitate to reach out to us. -Jacob B

Original review: May 12, 2019

In 2001 we inherited a large amount of 1800s antique furniture and glass. We decided we should get a security system so we contacted ADT here in Denver 2002. Seems every 30 months or so someone would knock on the door to do an upgrade on the system. When they leave we now have a new company provider. We certainly thought this was weird and didn't understand why this was the way they do business. This would be the story over and over and over but I just sat there blindly and followed along time after time. We thought we should have a security system. When we retired we knew we would be gone for weeks at a time so keeping the system seemed a no brainer.

Now here we are December of 2018, deciding for health reasons in our 70s needing to get away from yard work stairs and home upkeep. Norma has had back surgery so some things she was able to do are now more of a challenge. My job is to look after her not the security company. We lived in our home ** almost 40 years. We have been married 52 years and have sterling credit. I am absolutely considering stop payment at the bank who was willing to do so immediately. However I do not know what this industry can do to me if I stop paying. I have talked to police who agrees to stop paying.

WE were casually looking with a realtor in Heather Gardens 55 and up secure community in Aurora October, November 2018. Apparently no one was looking week before Christmas except me and I saw a corner unit, called the realtor, offered, and was accepted, we moved. Happenened very quickly. Corner units are difficult to get in Heather Gardens so waiting for permission is not an option. In 3 years I will be 75 and the opportunity will be gone. We have been here 3 months now and not one corner unit has come available I'm aware of. We have been paying home security on Idalia St. for over 18 years years, over $9,000.

The security industry gets into your bank account and you can't get them out. They appear to be doing this to homes all across America and Canada. Did I know this latest contract says 60 months, YES, I did but my responsibility is to my wife of 52 years not a security company who is holding us hostage. Why in tarnation does this industry get away with contracts into perpetuity. I can understand a initial contract of 3 years to protect the equipment investment. After that they are taking from their customers to boost their profits with services not given. However they will be at the homes door 2 days after a sale to double dip that house. I know because the new owners of ** said they were there. We had been in our house 40 years and we have every right to not be harassed by the security industry if we wish to sell and move.

I am confident we brought the 60 months up to (Eric) the person sitting across from us (What if we decide to move). His comment was, "Don't worry. You have been paying for many years, they know this and would cut you loose." Can I prove that, certainly not, Look up MORON in the dictionary and there I'll be. I can't get over what a stupid moron I was to sign a document as this and give up control of my future in my house. I am very disappointed with myself to have let myself be taken in this manner.

They say we have 3 years left on our system and will not cancel therefore will continue taking $46.99 out of our checking every month for services already not being provided. That's $1,700 they want now for future services they will not be providing. I'm thinking that should be illegal? Why not ask the new owners to take the system?? Well for one I did ask the realtor and she decided that wasn't a fair idea. 2nd the new owners are a young couple who maybe can't afford the extra monthly charge now on top of their home payments, but I did give it some thought.

I truly cannot imagine a reputable honest upstanding company taking years for service, not performed. The least I would expect is a settlement amount of say $300 for equipment which isn't even theirs. We have been paying on time for 18 years and in my opinion a reputable company would cut us loose without hesitation. Would you do this to your grandmother??

The current security provider is Brinks out of Dallas Texas. Isn't it something The very thing we did wrong was sign up for security. A service we invited into our home, asked to watch over us and guard us is the very service that is burgularizing us 18 years later. We don't have a team of attorneys to protect us. We just have us. Richard and Norma **. Aurora Colorado 80014.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Richard,Here at Brinks Home we strive to ensure each experience is better than the next. We never like to hear when a customer wants to cancel as we care for your satisfaction and your protection.In regards the cancellation of your contract we apologize if you were misinformed of the policy. With this being said I'd like to look into this matter further and provide an amicable resolution and of course shed some light on this matter. I have located your account with us and I will be sure to reach out you. -Jacob B

Original review: May 12, 2019

We had Brinks Home service at two houses. Last fall, we decided to stop monitoring one of the houses. I called their customer service and then I filled out a form requesting to remove one house from the account. The charges continued. I made another call and filled out another form. No result. They still continue charging me for both house. I've called them again and again. No reaction. Any advice? What should I do? By the way, the service is terrible. False alarms all the time. It's hard to reach them. Both technical service and customer service do not work on the weekends. Is this company a scam? I do not know, though, how to get rid of them.

Brinks Home Security™ response

John,Here at Brinks Home we strive to ensure each experience is better than the next. We never like to hear when a customer wants to cancel as we care for your satisfaction. With this being said I'd like to look into this matter further but unfortunately, I could not locate your account. If you could please send me a email with your account information and I will reach out to asap. Thank you and have a great day. -Jacob B

Original review: May 12, 2019

My neighbors had Brinks in their storage building and I ended up getting it for mine as well since my provider at home wouldn’t do the storage building without any WiFi or a landline. Brinks sent us the system through the mail and then we put it up ourselves, which was easy. I’ve got sensors and the motion sensors, and everything’s working well. I like it. We arm and disarm it using its smartphone feature, and it’s also very convenient and accessible especially for my dad who’s a little older.

The only thing is, I would like the monitor to be louder when it goes off because I wanted to scare the hell out of everybody that came through here. My dad was more disappointed because it’s not really, really loud. Still, I feel a lot better since I had the system installed. And for the quality that I got, its cost is reasonable. Also, their reps were very helpful and they answered my questions. I asked if they could call the police first and send them out, and then they would call us, and they said they can do that. I recommended Brinks to my neighbor and he ended up getting it.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Junior,it is so amazing to hear you love the quality of your system. Here at Brinks Home Security we strive to ensure the quality of our product is the best of the best. Thank you for taking the time to leave us this amazing feedback. Brinks Home Security has one of the fastest response times in the industry and we actually have the highest in customer satisfaction. We are filled with joy knowing we can bring you to the Brinks Home Security. -Jacob B

Original review: May 11, 2019

Signed a contract with a door to door salesman in Oct of 2015. I was told the fee was a flat 59.99 per month but the contract's fine print allows the price to be raised at any time to any amount they choose. I moved in June of 2018. I was given the runaround and told to call different numbers for moving services. I removed the whole alarm myself from my old house because I didn't know what to do and didn't want to get charged for it and it's been sitting in a drawer at my new house since.

For a company that is supposed to monitor your home 24-7, they never contacted me that they weren't receiving the signal from the system. But they continued to pull money from my bank account and jack the rate up. During my initial talk with them in April of 2018, I was given incorrect information from them and asked for a copy of the contract they have on file that states their information. They never sent it. Forward a year later, I asked for it again, never got it. Filed a BBB complaint. They stated incorrect information again and then finally sent me a copy of the contract that even proves their lies.

When I signed up for home security, it was NorthStar Alarm. It then changed to Monitronics, then to Moni, and now Brinks. I had to stop payment at my bank because customer service at Brinks is impossible. Do NOT use Brinks for home security. Do your homework, there are tons of options to keep your home and family safe that are cheaper and more ethical than Brinks.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Ian, At Brinks Home Security, your protection means the world to us and we want nothing more to resolve this matter. In regards to you not receiving a call when your system was unplugged is because we only monitor for emergency signals. In review of your account, I see a member of our BBB specialist team has attempted to reach out to you to resolve this matter but has been unsuccessful. We would like to resolve this matter so if you could please reach out to us with the information provided. Thank you and have a great day. -Jacob B

Original review: May 11, 2019

The people at Brinks got back to me very quickly. When I had questions, they'd call back very quickly. Someone was always there to answer the phone and was very helpful when they did. When I did the installation, we had to move things around and make spacers for it because we have a different sized door jamb than the normal one. And that would be something that should be included in the kit. It did have a mount, but it wasn't a tall enough mount for our size of door jamb. But the directions were pretty clear and straightforward.

Brinks Home Security™ response

William,we are so glad to hear that we are able to protect your home during your time of need. Brinks Home Security has one of the fastest response times in the industry and we actually have the highest in customer satisfaction. We are filled with joy knowing we can bring you to the Brinks Home Security. -Jacob B

Original review: May 10, 2019

Brinks worked with Nest, so I called them and they helped me size out a system, and I ordered it. I did all the installation myself and I just need to reposition something because it keeps picking up my dog and setting off the system. The system has very good quality, but Brinks could include the ability to have an alarm set at a time, and deactivate at a time that you can set on like a timer.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Matthew, Thank you for taking the time to leave us this positive review. I actually have a nest myself and I love how user friendly it is as well as being really dog friendly. If there is anything we can do to make your experience better please reach out to us asap. -Jacob B

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 8, 2019

I was using a local provider, Monitronics, and then Brinks bought them. I have four systems. With the interface that was bought from Monitronics, the touchscreen usually needs maintenance but I don't think Brink's technical customer service is the most effective. On the other hand, they offer a simple product. I think the Nest Secure that I used on the new property was the most user-friendly. You really don't need a lot of sensors for windows and doors. You really just need the motion. But if you buy a bunch of motion sensors in specific locations like the hallways, the living room and stuff like that, where an intruder would have to pass, it's more cost effective to get the Nest Secure.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Bryan,Thank you for taking the time to leave us this honest feedback. I couldn't agree more regarding the feedback about Nest Secure. I actually own a Nest Secure myself and I love how user friendly it was but even more so how easy it was to install it. Thank you again for the kinds words, if there is anything we can do make your experience better please feel free to reach out to us. -Jacob B

Original review: May 8, 2019

Problems with my alarm numerous times in the past 6 months. Replaced battery twice. Little support. Foreign language support. Requested technician for a service call on Saturday (my only day off). Was told they do not provide service on Saturday. Called on Sunday to resolve panel problems and message was they are closed on Sunday. I want an alarm company to be available 24/7, don't you? Cancelling service and will change companies that can do the job.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Ralph,Our customer tech support team is a dedicated team that strives to resolve matters to the best of their ability, as some issues require a technician to come out to the home. We care for your satisfaction at Brinks Home. Please allow me to assist you in this matter further and help get you the access you need. If you could please send me an email with your account information and I will be sure sure to reach out to you. -Jacob B

Original review: May 7, 2019

Had live watch. Got bought out by Brinks. Canceled after deciding to move. Was on one phone trying to cancel for 45 minutes. Picked up a second phone. Was on hold for thirty five minutes. Finally got to talk to someone on the second call phone. Told them. I was moving. Wanted to cancel. Asked them if they wanted the equipment back. They said no. They kept billing my credit card. I put a stop to that. Now they call me 6 times a day wanting two more months payments. They told me I didn’t cancel properly and I didn’t have my proper paperwork. I’ve talked to several people. They always put me on hold. I told them I want a copy of all my recorded conversations for my harassment suit. I think six phone calls a day is harassment, sometimes they hang up on me. Why do they do this?

Brinks Home Security™ response

Richard, Reading this recent experience with us is the complete opposite of what we strive to bring our customers. We do have a cancellation process as we are a security company and we do monitor life saving devices. I am happy to look into this further and provide you with a resolution. We were able to locate your account based off of the information provided. I will reach out to you as soon we complete our investigation into this matter. -Jacob B

Original review: May 7, 2019

We’ve been to a new home and decided I needed a home security system. The customer service reps at Brinks Home Security were great, but the sales reps were a little confusing based on the packages and how everything was packaged up. I had some difficulty connecting the translator to my existing home system, so I ended up reordering all the sensors. The pricing was also a little confusing because it was one price initially, then it was another. And in processing my return, I had to send a couple of things back, but that could probably use a bit of an improvement seeing with the timing. The associate got a FedEx label and gave me the detail. There were multiple FedEx labels aligning which one goes to what products. Other than that, my experience was great. Everything got taken care of, eventually. I had multiple calls from the sales to make sure I got the right product at the right price.

The installation process was a piece of cake. Once I got the right parts, scheduling the installation service was easy and the person walking me through was very easy as well. Their smartphone feature is nice. I really only need one panel. The monthly maintenance cost is good and is competitive in the market. The cost of the sensors was also reasonably priced, although the control panel may have been priced a little higher than what I could probably get buying it from Amazon.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Vincent,the words described in your review are so kind and thoughtful, thank you for taking the time to leave us these kind words. The experience described in your review is the exact kind of experience we strive to bring to all of our customers. If there is anything we can do to keep your time with us anything other than amazing please feel free to reach out to us. -Jacob B

Original review: May 7, 2019

My grandmother originally signed up for Moni back in 2015 I believe. She was under the impression that it was a 3 year contract, looks like it was a 5 year contract. When she has called to ask questions she was treated HORRIBLY, told that she was being demanding and to calm down. My grandmother has been a businesswoman for over 60 years and never talks rudely to ANYONE but felt very dismissed when she asked about cancellation policies.

She called a month or so ago inquiring about the price hikes on her bill, she is on a fixed income and can't afford that much. The lady asked her if a new price was better, grandma said it was ok but that she still wasn't sure about it. APPARENTLY that meant she verbally signed up for an extension. She is 89 years old and this company is preying on the elderly. I was then told that if she wants to cancel her policy the early termination fee is going to be $793.98! She can't afford that so I guess she is stuck with this company that she can't afford until 2020! Buyer Beware and I will also be reporting this to the Better Business Bureau.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Elysia, At Brinks Home Security we strive to ensure each and everyone of our customers are satisfied. Hearing of your Grandmothers experience with us is the complete opposite of what we strive to bring our customers. In regards to your grandmothers contract with us, we do have a survey call we conduct at the beginning of every term to ensure what was agreed was actually agreed to. Please allow me to investigate this matter further. I have located your grandmothers account and will be sure sure to reach out to her to resolve this matter. -Jacob B

Original review: May 7, 2019

My most recent issue was trying to get outdoor security cameras reconnected to my wireless network. I followed the instructions, but the process failed. I ultimately called customer service. The first agent had me repeat the process multiple times. This involved climbing up and down ladders around my house while on the phone. Ultimately, I was put on hold for nearly 20 minutes before being kicked back into the call queue and have a new agent take the call and wanting to start the process all over again. I was again put on hold. I sat on hold for over 40 minutes. The call was then disconnected.

I called back again to have an agent tell me that I had not called in previously and none of this had actually happened. They refused to transfer me to a manager, but eventually agreed to transfer me to a different agent. That agent transferred me to someone who claimed to be a manager and at least tried to help. The issue went unresolved and this person scheduled a technician to come to my house days later. The next morning, I decided to log in and check again. Magically, I was able to reconnect all cameras.

I called to cancel the service technician and speak to someone about the service I received the night prior. It took 30 minutes to get routed to the correct person. The first agent told me I needed to call a different number, but the number I was given was the same number I called to get to them. After 40 minutes and being transferred multiple times, I finally spoke with someone who says they were a floor supervisor and offered to credit one month's worth of service. That is something, but unacceptable. This service should be cancelled, for cause.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Lee, We are so sorry to hear of this experience when attempting to resolve your technical issues. We strive day in and day out to ensure pour customers our both satisfied and protected. At Brinks Home your time with us means the world to us. With this being said please allow me to look into this further and provide coaching to the agents involved. I have located your account with us and I will be sure sure to reach out to you. -Jacob B

Original review: May 6, 2019

The Brinks salesperson was nice and the people that I talked to in support, before I purchased, were informative and cordial. They knew what they were talking about and they convinced me. I went with Brinks because of the system’s ease of installation and how easy it is to add the different components and take them away if I need to. We're using a Nest system and it is very self-explanatory, I can't make a mistake. We've not had a false alarm yet too.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Robert,it is so amazing to hear you love the quality of your system. Here at Brinks Home Security we strive to ensure the quality of our product is the best of the best. Thank you for taking the time to leave us this amazing feedback. We look forward to providing you with the best for many years to come. -Jacob B

Original review: May 5, 2019

The house that we moved into had Brinks Home Security. We stayed with Brinks as their equipment looked better and it was a lot quite better than Frontpoint which we had before. I also like their equipment and the touchscreen panel. The quality of their system is good and it is easy to use. I use the smartphone features too. It is kinda cool that I can look at the cameras and talk to my family while I'm at work. When I spoke with the customer service rep, she walked me through the setting up of the panel and switching everything out. It was simple to switch it into our name. And the rep was really patient with me because I was a bit frustrated. I couldn't figure something out. She stayed professional the whole time. Since having Brinks in my home, I know we are safe and it is convenient.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Brian,the words described in your review are so kind and thoughtful, thank you for taking the time to leave us these kind words. The experience described in your review is the exact kind of experience we strive to bring to all of our customers. If there is anything we can do to keep your time with us anything other than amazing please feel free to reach out to us. -Jacob B

Brinks Home Security™ expert review by Ben Mannes

Formerly MONI Security, Brinks offers 3 security packages with free equipment and DIY installation. Prices start at $34.95 a month, with 36-60 month contracts for home automation and security with a lifetime warranty.

• Brinks home security systems: Choose from two systems: Home Complete with monitoring for $39/month and Home Complete with Video and monitoring for $49/month.

• 90-day trial: Try your Brinks home security system for 90 days before deciding whether or not it’s right for you.

• Add-on items: Add-on home automation equipment, security cameras and sensors like smoke and flood detectors.

• Backup power sources & monitoring: Redundancy is the name of the game: two power sources ensure you never lose security coverage, and multiple monitoring channels­–Internet, phone line and cellular–guarantee your system is always connected to the monitoring station.

• Easy to move: These DIY systems are easy to take with you when you move into a new home. Let Brinks know when you’ve made the move. You’ll pay the same rate per month unless you add on additional features.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Brinks Home Security™ Company Information