Accredited Partner

(Previously MONI)

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.77/5

Brinks Home Security™ is one of the largest home security alarm monitoring companies in the U.S. Headquartered in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, Brinks Home Security secures approximately 1 million residential and commercial customers through highly responsive, simple home security solutions that are backed by expertly trained professionals. The company is supported by the nation’s largest network of independent authorized dealers, providing products and support to customers in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.

Brinks Home Security™ Gallery (2)
Consumers Choice Award Winner

BOTTOM LINE

Brinks offers technologically advanced systems at an affordable rate. Although the cancellation policy could be better, we like their straightforward pricing and additional equipment.

PROS

• Affordable options
  • Solid product warranty
  • DIY setup

CONS

• Strict cancellation policy

Top Brinks Home Security™ Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brinks Home Security™?

With Brinks, I know my system is on. I don't have to double check. It makes me feel safer and I recommend it to friends and families. I wouldn’t go with anybody else either.

The installation was very easy, very simple, and right to the point. I did it all by myself and I liked it. Their instructions were very detailed and very helpful … I also like the smart features a lot and it makes using the system easier. Brinks is amazing and I refer them to anybody I come across.

Brinks Home Security packages

Brinks Home Security has two professionally monitored security systems: Home Complete and Home Complete with Video. Brinks home security systems are installed via a DIY method and the entire system is wireless, so no drilling is involved. Brinks offers an industry standard 36-month contract.

You can also buy the equipment for a Nest Secure security system from Brinks. Although Nest is a self-monitored system, you can pay a monthly fee of $29/mo for Brinks professional monitoring. If you already own a Nest Secure system, you can still sign up for this service with Brinks.

Brinks Home Security cost

Brinks pricing is straightforward. You can choose from one of two plans: Home Complete or Home Complete with Video. However, you should be aware that additional equipment will cost extra. Financing is available through GreenSky if you don't want to pay for the equipment all at once.

You can try any of the Brinks home security plans for 30 days, and if you're unhappy with the system, you can receive a refund. The Brinks Home Security app is also available for every plan, letting you control your home security system from your mobile device. This includes lighting control, checking out security video, and arming and disarming the system.

PlanMonthly costEquipment cost
Home Complete$29/mo$399
Home Complete, with financing$40.08/mo$0
Home Complete with Video$39/mo$499
Home Complete with Video, with financing$52.86/mo$0

Brinks Home Security equipment

All of Brinks’ equipment comes with a 2-year warranty. You can use voice command technologies like Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa with specific Brinks systems; however, Amazon Alexa is not compatible with Nest Secure. The Home Completed Systems are compatible with Alarm.com, Google Assistant, Siri and Alexa. The plans from Brink come with the following equipment:

Brink Home Complete planBrinks Home Complete with Video plan
HD video doorbell
Indoor night vision camera
Brink Home Complete plan
Brinks Home Complete with Video plan

You can add on additional equipment like Brinks home security cameras to your system for an extra charge. Additional equipment you can buy includes:

• HD indoor camera
  • Smoke detector
  • Door sensors
  • Window sensors
  • Motion detectors

Brinks Home Security FAQ

Do I have to install my Brinks system myself?
Brinks makes their systems easy to install, regardless of handyman ability. All you have to do is unpack the box Brinks sends you, put the devices in the correct spots, plug them in and activate the system. If you have a more complex piece of technology you’d like to install, Brinks can put you in touch with trained, approved technicians for installation.
What if I move homes? Can I still use my system?
You can still use your system if you move. The benefit of having a wireless, DIY system is that it’s easy to take down and set up if you’re relocating.
What is Brinks’ cancellation policy?
The Nest Secure system is month-to-month and canceled whenever you like; however, after the 30-day period, you won’t be able to return your equipment for a refund. For the Home Complete system, you also get a 30-day trial period. If you cancel a Brinks contract after the trial period, you will still have to pay your balance in full.

Do we recommend Brinks Home Security?

We recommend Brinks Home Security for their affordable plans, customizable options and good warranty. The Brinks Home Security price, especially on the basic plan, is good. Brinks is unique in that they offer both professionally monitored and self-monitored security systems. Their 3-year contract and strict cancellation policy aren’t ideal, but these are also common for other companies in the industry. Overall, Brinks has a great self-installed home security system.

Brinks Home Security™ Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brinks Home Security™?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I got a little confused. I had an outside camera that come with bricks. I was having a bit of an issue with it. When it was recording stuff, I couldn't switch it over to my video from my ring doorbell. So, I called. They kept putting me on hold. And they said they were calling Pro-Tec America. They also said I had to change my keycode box, which made no sense, and they would charge me for it. I've tried to call customer service back a couple times. I've sat on hold for a long time. I realize they're busy. But I wasn't real happy with that. I didn't ask them to switch. They did that on their own. But I don't see why I should have to pay for a new box. I don't wanna talk to customer service because they don't know what they're doing.

The only person that knows what they're doing is Denise. I have spoken to her in customer retention. Absolutely fantastic lady. She has been very helpful. She needs a raise. One day I requested for her. They said she was busy and they would tell her to call me. I know Denise well enough that if she knew it was me, her and I talked quite a bit, and she would have called me back, which means she never got that message. I know she would have called me

Last month on the 18th, I called. Since we switched from Pro-Tec America to Brinks, I needed yard and window signs since it's a different company. We talked, and the lady agreed, and she said she would send me up. And they come in a package of one yard sign and four stickers. She would send me three sets of them. When I called and talked to customer service today, the guy there told me an entirely different story. He told me that one was free, and the other ones were 10 bucks a piece. I said, “Hold on, that's not what she told me.” So, he looked further into it, and he saw, “Oh, yeah, that's right. They're all free,” which I haven't received yet. Why would he tell me what he told me without looking first?

I’m a little leery of customer service. If you're gonna talk to somebody and discuss a particular problem before you have a conversation with them, look at what transpired in the past. If I called you and I said, “Look, I called a month ago” and I request this, make sure they were going to send it free, I would think that you would go on the computer and go back and look at that, which you can. And she, “Yes, sir. That's right,” instead of giving me a bunch of excuses, which he didn’t. He said, “Well, they're on backorder since we switched.” I don't wanna hear all that. That doesn't matter to me. When something is explained to customer service, they need to review the whole case before they say anything. Look at the computer and see what it says before you open your mouth.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

The people who had sold us the house had Brinks and it seemed like a logical decision to go with them. At that point, we already have an account with Brinks. We thought that if we wanted to go through a cancellation process and then try to start something up with a completely different company and perhaps end up with the same headaches. We just pushed and kept it with Brinks.

We had a difficult time at first just because Brinks apparently would only allow us to have any insight into our accounts or make any changes if we provided them with a passcode. The person who they had contracted to install our service never provided us with a passcode. The passcode of the individuals who lived in the house beforehand wasn't the passcode, apparently. We were told that we made a passcode and we had no recollection of that. Every potential passcode we could think of wasn't working so it was extremely frustrating and they were still taking our money. But it took a lot to try to figure out exactly how to remedy that.

We found out later that the individual who they had contracted to install the service had us write him a check for $300 and that was not supposed to happen. Even then, that individual "mistakenly" took my wallet. As a matter of fact, when he left, we had to have him come back to bring back my wallet. He said it looked exactly like his. So, we had all these incidents happen. It wasn't Brinks per se, but it was someone who they trusted to install their service properly. Then the guy told us that he installed new batteries on these other things that we wanted. The very next day, we were getting the low battery signal and trying to work with Brinks to have that remedied became an impossibility because we didn't have this passcode. We had every other form of identifiable information to indicate that we were who we were, but without that passcode, there was absolutely no way to move forward.

The solution that we were given, which sounded absurd, was to scan and email them our driver's license, front and back, all these to be sent over the airwaves. We had an incident with another company beforehand where our identities were compromised so we didn't wanna do that. It ended up being one of those situations where the only way we could move forward was to get someone on the phone who actually knew what to do. Whereas most of the time, we were only connected with people who were just getting their solutions from a playbook and didn't know how the company worked. We eventually got everything resolved, but it was a very painstaking process.

We're fine with the service. When we finally got that individual on the phone who could help us, they were informed that we were charged $300. They put that toward other services that we wanted, so we were able to get the video doorbell, the glass break, all that. The individual who came to install the video doorbell and all that was absolutely professional and he did everything to our satisfaction. We asked him for a yard sign, but he said that he didn't have it or he couldn't give it out.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Timothy, thank you so much for leaving us this review regarding our service. Brinks Home security always wants to ensure that our customers are satisfied and protected. We are glad that we were able to help you and rectify any issues that you had with your system. If there is anything, we can do to make this experience a better one please let us know. – Daniela S.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

I've had Brinks since I moved in on November of 2019. It had the security system already in it and it was armed, but I didn't have the code. I had to change everything to Brinks to get my own personal stuff and be able to turn it on and off because they didn't give me a code. They didn't mention anything when I bought the place. So now, since that incident happened last week, everything seems to be on track because I called them and complained about it.

The police was sent to my home and I wasn't contacted. I guess when I added my daughter's number, they put her number first instead of leaving mine first, but they never contacted me at all. They said that they contacted me. I don't have missed calls from them before they notified the police. So, I don't feel good about it. They contacted my daughter and she didn't have the voicemail. She contacted me and gave Brinks the voicemail, but they still sent the police out. But it was about eight hours later. So, if somebody was actually robbing my house or did a home invasion, that wouldn't make any difference if they notified eight hours later for me.

I made it clear that my daughter's was the second number to call and they should have called me first. And during that time, they gave me a number that I said I needed to put in my phone that they would call me from so I would know the emergency and I need to take the appropriate action when they call. I need to answer it to make sure it's not a spam call or something of that nature. But I don't know exactly that it's an emergency.

They gave the number, right? But when that incident happened and I talked to them again, they gave me a different number. And then, they said they have another number that they didn't have at that time to give to me. I don't answer random calls because I just bought the home. It's time for me to refinance. I'm getting probably 50 spam calls a day for advertisements and I can't just answer all those calls. Plus, I'm at work during the day so I need to know exactly if they're calling pertaining to my safety, or my home or my daughter's safety. So, if I'm paying for this service and I'm not able to do that, the service is not doing me any good.

I arm the system when I leave. When I walk in, it tells me that I need to disarm, and I disarm it and everything is working fine at this point. But if I would have an emergency, I don't know what time it would take for the police response. I want to know if I would be charged for them coming. When the police came in, they said, "Oh, we see, it was a false alarm." Then they turned around and left.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Bobby, thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback as it is always appreciated. At Brinks Home Security we strive to do better than we were the day before. We do apologize for your experience but are glad we were able to rectify that. If there is anything, we can do please let us know, we are more than happy to assist. We look forward to providing you with a quality home security service. – Juana H.

Original review: April 4, 2020

I've had a really good experience with Brinks. I've had a security system for 20 years or more. I've had Brinks for about five years. Originally, I got a security system because I traveled a lot and my wife was home alone. It's a big house in a good neighborhood, but she just felt more comfortable with a security system. As things progressed, I don't travel as much, but there were a lot more offerings with this security system than just the typical “monitor your doors and windows” security. They've added things like cameras inside and outside and camera doorbells. They also offer light switches, plugs, just all sorts of things. Quite frankly, my house is quite nice, just a completely electronically controlled house.

I was able to add outside lights in a place I'm having to turn them on and off with a switch online, with their program through my security system of when to come on or off. Also, unlike most people, my actual overhead garage doors are monitored, so I have that additional security of my garage protected. They also have remote access, so if I've got a guy there working in my yard and he needs to get to my watering system, I can open a garage door, letting him get to what he needs to get to with all the rest of the house being totally protected. He can turn and close the garage door when he's done. The system has evolved from a simple security system to a very complicated integrated system that basically can control your entire house now. I keep upgrading all the time and adding things.

One of the things Brinks did just recently that I like is they've taken everything in-house. I've had a security system before. When I recently got my security system, it was through another company that Brinks bought. And after they bought this company, they were still outsourcing two things. They were outsourcing through dealers for sales and repairs, which was a royal pain in the butt. All that's been taken internally now, and it is like 10 times smoother.

Especially the service techs that they used to use, they weren't just doing Brinks. They were doing whomever security. They’re service techs. One of the companies that I used before, it wasn't their equipment but it was another party's, so their push was on installation. It wasn’t repair because it wasn't their system. All they got was the money out of the repair. They weren't making money for the sale. So, sometimes it's a week or two before you could get them to come out. And even then, it was happenstance and they normally gave you at least a five-hour window and they couldn't narrow the field. They didn't really care.

When Brinks took all this in-house service, it just changed their whole outlook on things because, all of a sudden now, "It's my system. If I piss this customer off, they're gonna have to go somewhere. "It means more to them now because they have a stake in the outcome. I was a huge move on their part in the right direction. I just had a service call recently and he just about blew me out of the water because it's not the thing that you would normally get. The guy came to change a sensor that was not working and while he was there, there was an upgrade to the system, he did the upgrade, tested the entire system from A to Z, and I'm just like, "Really? Are you going to do everything?" "Yes." You don't get that out of a lot of companies.

And the communication with the service tech, they're very sensitive to other people's issues with life. Sometimes, you need a particular time and they're very good about working with you on trying to narrow that timeframe. It might be four hours. Even then, the tech that came out, I asked him, “I'm about 45 minutes from home. Would you give me a call when you're 45 minutes or an hour away?" We actually showed up at the house within two minutes of each other. There was no time wasted on his part or mine, either one, and I was able to continue my work until such time as I had to leave and meet them.

They just make everything much more equitable. It even can change your attitude about the company when things like that happen and they happen in a positive manner. It can really just give you a whole new perspective of the fact that the company is customer-focused than when they were outsourcing things. It's something they're doing and it's near and dear to their heart because it's their customers.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Jim, this review made our day! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us this kind words. The experience described in your review is the exact kind of experience we strive to bring to all of our customers. Brinks Home Security cares about your satisfaction and wants to ensure you’re getting the best quality of services. If there is anything, we can do to make this experience better, please feel free to reach out. Thank you for being sure sure and trusting us with your security. – Juana H.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

My previous security system was a wired one that had battery backup. It had a lot of different things and was very stable. Typically, these other systems, much like the ones from Brinks, are not as stable. So, that’s why they say they’ll do things like replace equipment if it goes bad. Compared to that, my other system didn't need anything replaced for 20 years. But it was also a much more expensive system. Aside from that, there are 10,000 companies like Brinks that can provide you these wireless systems that you can add on to. So, comparing my old system with this one from Brinks is like comparing apples and oranges. They are two different types of security system.

Another difference is that the provider of my old system came in and officially designed it to fit my home. With Brinks, you get packages and when I called them, I had to tell them what I needed. I installed the system myself, too. There were also other circumstances that made me decide to go ahead and buy a system like the one I purchased from Brinks besides the initial cost. Brinks was recommended to me by someone else and that was why I chose them as a carrier.

Also, the new system does not do everything the old system did as far as covering the safety of my home, but I bought the minimum that is required for me to house someone who is elderly and not a family member in my household. If it weren’t for trying to bring this elderly person into my home to care for them, I would’ve never bought one because my fallback security is a 38 and a 30-30.

The main thing that I needed from this system was interconnected smoke detectors. That was the only requirement of this program for me to be able to take care of somebody. So, the door security, which I ended up getting, was just something I thought I'd take as well. But there is nothing else protected by this system. So far, the quality is pretty good. When I opened the packaging, the smoke detectors were surprisingly well made, at least from the exterior. They are well functioning as well.

But Brinks doesn’t seem to waver much from what their packages contain, which really restricts where they fit. And regardless of the package that you end up with, you pay the same price for monitoring. They should be able to prorate their fees as well based on the type of monitoring they're doing. The only thing they're ever monitoring for me is smoke detection, but they are charging me for security. I’m not using them in that way, but that’s the only fee package they have. So, I feel like they're getting a lot of money for nothing from me. And truly, their monthly monitoring fees are not super high.

For my old system, I paid $30 every three months for my monitoring, which is $10 a month. But I’m paying something close to $40 a month to brinks, and as part of that charge, and the reason the charge is so high is because it says it is cellular monitoring, which is supposed to be this perfect way for the signal to get to them because phone lines can go dead. But where I live, there is no cell service, so the monitoring occurs over my internet connection. So, there is still an opportunity for failure and I don’t get the dependability of the cellular monitoring that I’m being charged for. And I could not convince them that cellular wouldn’t work. They even went so far as to send me everything and during the setup on the phone, they asked me to turn the system on. Then they said they were not getting a cellular signal. And I told them that that was what I’ve been telling them from the very beginning.

When I started questioning the charges, they told me that they show on the map that my area is covered by cellular service. But they can’t get a signal, unless they put a cell tower in the valley where the 20 or 30 homes are that I live in and they're not gonna do that. That’s a multimillion-dollar thing for 30 homes. Then we’re never gonna have cell service but they keep saying we'll get it soon. But we're talking about West Virginia.

So, that is a disappointing thing. I’m paying for this premium service, which is a fabulous feature, but I’m not getting the benefits of it. I’ve also been through the strife of figuring out and struggled with them to see if I could get some adjustment in fee. But those things didn't happen because it just wasn’t an option. So, maybe someday, they’ll recognize that not everywhere in the United States has or will ever have cellular service. And maybe they don’t want to create a package specifically for a handful of people or homes, and that’s fine. It’s just the way it is. But people who live in areas like that, and there's a lot of them in West Virginia, should be aware of something like that because they are paying a premium monthly cost for service they can’t take advantage of.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Melissa, Thank your taking the time to leave us your feedback as it allow us to improve. Here at Brinks we care about your satisfaction and want to ensure you’re getting the best quality with the best price. Our self-installed systems are very efficient and user friendly. I am happy to provide this feedback to our activation team so we can do better. With our systems they have different communication networks and I can assure you they are very reliable. If there is anything else you need feel free to reach out us and we would be more than happy to assist you. Thank you for being sure sure and trusting us with your security. -Juana H.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Upgrade to current phone technology was easy & fast. Outdoor signage still says ADT. New signs were promised, but still not delivered. After 12 years with Brinks, you would think Brinks would want signage to be accurate. Pls ship to Phoenix address.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Robert, thank you for bringing this matter to out attention. I will be sure to follow up with you. At Brinks Home Security we take every complaint serous and we want to make sure that you get the yard signs. - Daniela S.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

Brinks bought over our Protect Alarm system and it's been a disaster. 1st our alarm sounded but we never heard it. They sent a new panel to install, with no instructions. Then two of our sensors need batteries but keep reading low battery. We were on hold for hours every day for weeks. They set up a date for a tech to come out and the day he was suppose to come he canceled stating he was sick. They set up another date for a month later, and after confirming the tech was coming the next day, he called to cancel again, stating he was sick. So we've been without a working system since August. That's 3 months! THE WORST SECURITY SYSTEM!!!

Brinks Home Security™ response

Dorene, thank you for bringing this to our attention and we are sorry to hear about your recent experience with us. I would like to take this opportunity to reassure you that we are here to help and will reach out to you to resolve this. -Edwin Q.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

We finally received our Brinks lawn sign and decals today actually. We requested for them since August of this year. We were Protect America customers and we initially had no idea that Brinks home security took over. However we appreciate Brinks home security and its reputation.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Phillip, thank you for reaching out. We welcome you to the Brinks Home Security family and if there is anything else, please do not hesitate to reach out. -Edwin Q.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I have been a customers since 2013. I have left messages with NO RESPONSES. I need a manager or someone with authority to contact me ASAP! My number is **. The best time call me is at 230 pm Pacific Standard Time. Thank you.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Hello, thank you for reaching out in regards of this matter. At Brinks Home Security we care about your needs and we aim to be accountable. With that being said, I will look into this matter further and reach out to you as soon as possible. – Daniela S.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
    Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Overall I am satisfied with the service of my alarm system. The technician was on time, knowledgeable, respectful, and fixed the issue. The only issue was that we are in the middle of a pandemic and he had no mask on the entire appointment. I was asked a series of question regarding covid-19 before I could even make an appointment so it was shocking that he arrived with no mask on. I put my mask on during the appointment in respect to him as I am a nurse who primarily works with covid patients daily and would not want to potentially expose him.

Brinks Home Security™ response

Janice, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Brinks Home Security prides itself on keeping our customers, employees, and their families healthy and safe. With that being said, I will be more than happy to investigate this matter and ensure that this does not happen again. – Daniela S.

Brinks Home Security™ Company Information