3.94/5
Based on 571 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

With more than 1 million residential and commercial customers nationwide, MONI is one of the nation’s leading home security and home automation providers, recognized by J.D. Power as “Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Home Security Systems” for 2016.

The company’s Alarm Response Center is on duty 24/7/365. MONI’s patented ASAPer technology provides our fastest alarm resolution ever. Traditional methods can take as long as five minutes, while ASAPer can cut that time to as little as 30 seconds.

MONI offers robust security and smart-home packages powered by Alarm.com and Honeywell that include remote smartphone control of security, video cameras, locks, lights, thermostat, garage door, medical monitoring and other household devices.

* MONI Smart Security (formerly Monitronics) received the highest numerical score among 6 brands in the J.D. Power 2016 Home Security Satisfaction Report, based on 2,282 total responses, measuring the opinions of customers who purchased a home security system in the previous 12 months, surveyed August-September 2016. Your experiences may vary. Visit jdpower.com

MONI Gallery (2)
Last updated: April 25, 2018

2197 MONI Security Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 23, 2018

I switched to MONI several years ago because they promised rate stability - my former company constantly raised prices. Then this January (with no notice or explanation) my rate increased. I called MONI on 25 January and was told by customer service my rate would be reduced from $40.61 to $38.69. I would get a credit for January/February making my February bill $36.77; and the bill for the months of March - December 2018 would be $38.69. My bill for February was $36.77; March was $38.69; but alas in April my bill was $39.27. I called MONI on 23 April and was told my rate was still $38.69; but a fee had increased which caused my monthly bill to increase to $39.27. So much for the January promise of a $38.69 monthly bill for March through December 2018. I am disappointed - but I now understand what MONI says is not what they do.

MONI Security response

Duane, I want to personally thank you for switching to us several years ago, and allowing us to be your trusted security provider. I will personally look into your concerns and ensure we come to a reasonable resolution, as we truly value you as a customer. –Jacob B

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm & Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 23, 2018

We lived in South Carolina until 2015. Our home was monitored by MONI when we sold it Jan, 2015. We cancelled the service. We have been billed for 32.99 monthly ever since. MONI will not resolve the issue fairly. Without any compromise they insist on $1187.64 payment. 1 year to go. We were interested in service where we live now. Our new home has a service we are unhappy with. MONI offered 2 mos. credit even though we have been paying hundreds of dollars for no service. Be careful what you sign because MONI could care less.

MONI Security response

Bradley, Here at MONI we care about each and every one of our customers including you. It is very alarming and saddens me to hear that you have yet to receive a resolution addressing your concerns. I would like to have this matter addressed and resolved as soon as possible. I have located your account with us and will be contacting you directly. –Jacob B

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 21, 2018

I have had a TERRIBLE experience with MONI. When I first signed up with MONI, I chose them because the local representative, Mark ** in Los Angeles, CA, said that he would by my day-to-day and would always be available to help. When I first had everything installed I asked (twice) if I needed a city permit, as I had a system before and needed one the last time. He said, "No, we will take care of everything." I had my alarm go off while I was traveling, and the cops came, which ended up being a false alarm. Shortly after, a bill of around $400 came from the city. I sent to Mark, he said he and office would take care of and would also make sure permit was filed.

I went out of town again for work, sure enough, alarm went off from a faulty window alarm and false alarm again. I got another charge. I have called Mark and texted him, have also spoken to other people in his office. Each time they all say they will take care of and never do. I finally today had to pay the city $1,167 dollars as collections just sent a claim against me. I called the bigger company of MONI and they said they have no liability towards me and that I need to work out with my local representative, who will not answer my calls or text messages. It has been a total disaster. I am now over $1,000 out of pocket because of the company, outside of what I have paid to the company on a month-to-month.

MONI Security response

Tesha, What you have mentioned in your review is the complete opposite of how we want our customers to feel towards MONI, as we want nothing more than to be here for our customers and ensure that their equipment is working correctly. I would like to apologize for the type of experience you have endured when it comes to your system and service with MONI. I have found your account with us, and will be sure to contact you directly to discuss this matter further. –Jacob B

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 20, 2018

I have had their service for a while now. Back in early 2015 I fell for the sales guy and got one of the Moni services. It was going well to an extent. The cameras that we received only would work if the alarm would go off. Not a big issue. I sold the house in Jan 2016 and again called Moni to advise them that I was selling the house and my new house already had an alarm system installed. Since the new owners did not want to take over the contract I was stuck with Moni. The Moni tech came out and uninstalled the alarm as well as the AC controller and took the items with him. 2 1/2 years later, I am still being charged each month. I have called Moni customer service and the best that they are able to do is a rate reduction for only 9 months. Now I am paying close to $70.00 a month for a system that I no longer need. Screw this company and run far away. The customer service is a joke. I want out of my contract.

MONI Security response

Cameron, Here at MONI we will always strive to assist our customer's anyway we can and this displeases me to hear of your experience. We never want to make anything difficult on the customer with that being said i have located your account and will be reaching out to you today to address your concerns and come to a resolution amicably -Jacob B

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 19, 2018

My monthly monitoring has increased and now I have an additional "Cost Recovery Fee" that does not seem appropriate as they say it is completely within the means of the contract (if it is, what else can they/will they add). I am no longer satisfied with my services provided by MONI, but am locked in to this contract that after reviewing, appears to not be easy to end. As in years to come, I do not have any idea what the charges will be month to month, I am concerned that this company is now a scam since I agreed to a price for the services they provide and the price is now changed.

If you research their billing techniques and availability to discontinue service, the company seems to not have their customers' best interest nor their own business ethics at heart. I am now at a 21% rate/cost increase after one year of service and am concerned of what is to come. I have already spent hours on the phone in the past few months to no avail. Not recommending this company to others.

MONI Security response

Elizabeth, Please know that MONI is very dedicated to satisfying our customers in the upmost way, and it is very alarming to hear that you have endured an unpleasant experience with us regarding your billing. I would like to speak with you and come to an amicable resolution; therefore, I will be contacting you directly to address this matter accordingly. –Jacob B.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MONI?

Original review: April 18, 2018

Back in the early 90’s when I lived in another state, my husband and I’s house got broken into so, 24 hours later, I had a security system and I've had one in every home since then. I live out in the country now and I never had any problems out here, but it's a peace of mind. I got MONI when I moved into this house about four and half years ago. I've used it for years now and I've had no problems.

I went through Tapper Security and they told me that MONI had a special and if I took a three-year monitoring contract, then my system would essentially be free.

I've got a basic system and it's wonderful. I don’t have it integrated with my smartphone or anything like that but it does what I need. When I have had questions or what I thought was a problem and just turned not to be, they’ve come out and serviced it and looked at what I thought was a problem and for no charge. I called up about a year ago because the monitoring price had gone up ridiculously high and they brought it back down to what the other major companies were offering, about $30 a month which still too much for what I need, but it's comparable. I've recommended it to several people.

MONI Security response

Rita, Here at MONI we take pride in making sure our customers stay happy and love the service we provide. I am thankful that you allowed us the opportunity to protect you for all these years. We will always be here for you, and we truly thank you for recommending our service. –Jacob B

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have had their service for over ten years and have been trying to cancel the service for the last three weeks. Their first attempt is trying to convince you to stay when you said no I don't have a need for an alarm system, first two times they hung up on me. The third attempt I was on the phone for 43 minutes to talk to someone and when I did I was told to expect an email from them and sign and return it. That email never came. I kept calling.

They conveniently keep hanging up on me after saying "hold on to talk to an account manager". But still they keep calling me saying they have received an alarm from my house... a house that I do not own anymore. It is their attempt to keep charging for a service they are not providing. I wouldn't recommended them to anyone. I am disappointed after these many year they try this cheap trick. There is no way to get a hold of anyone. It is horrible what they put you through to just charge sixty dollar. My time is precious and I don't feel like wasting my time waiting for an account manager. I just notified my bank to do a stop payment. FIND A DIFFERENT COMPANY... RUN.

MONI Security response

Meklite, I am so sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience with your request to cancel. Please know that we never intend to make any request a difficult one, as our goal is to ensure we are always delivering exceptional customer service. I have located your account and will contact you directly to resolve your concerns. -Jacob B

Original review: April 17, 2018

MONI came to the house in the summertime and they kept going around, asking people to join. They sat with us for a long time and the young guy was willing to work with us and give us what we wanted. He explained things and threw in couple of extra remotes. At that time we had ADT who had not upgraded their equipment so the stuff that MONI offered us seemed way on the top and that was why we changed. We hadn't seen that feature going through the cellphone because in the past, cell phone lines would be cutting most often and you couldn't inform anyone about anything happening to you. But MONI's system was not with the landline but through the cell phone and we didn't have that with ADT. Then later, ADT came back but it was too late because I'd preferred to go and skipped ADT since I always had that.

One of the guys who came some time back also showed us how to set up a little alarm every time the door is opened or closed. We would have known that if we chose to read the book but we didn't and that was a very nice thing. This way, whoever opens the door and comes in, it chimes and it tells me that someone has entered or my husband's come home. It's a little bit of a pain because if you are sleeping, you get disturbed but security-wise, it's what you want to have. I also like that they gave me another little gadget, like a console which is portable. I have that plugged by my bedside so if I want to do something, I don't have to go down to where the system is. I can do it from my bedside.

After we got it all done about three weeks ago, I've been getting something on my phone from MONI everyday reminding me that our system hasn't been armed. The only reason I don't really arm it a lot is my son's hearing-impaired. Even though he doesn't live here, I never know when he's going to come home. He lives in the city but he may suddenly come home and visit because he's got free time. If it's alarmed and I'm out of the house for a little while, I'm not sure when he opens the door whether he'll hear that. I don't want the cops and the fire coming out because he didn't realize that there was a siren going on. We told him that if he's going on vacation and the alarm is on, he has X amount of time and where the gadget is to turn it off but kids are so lazy.

They are also very prompt in calling us to say that something's not working and they would work with us on that. They would check every connection whether it's a door that's showing up on their screen as beeping, a window or a motion detector. They also helped me do my main console and they showed me how to test it and what to do. There were times when they've been on the phone with me for over an hour.

When my main battery for my console needed to be replaced, I didn't know where I was going to get this battery. And for $15, they said, "We'll just send you one and when you get it, call us and then we'll show you step-by-step how to install it." My husband was able to install it but we still called because they were still getting a signal. It happened to be the motion detectors and those things hadn't been open in so long so where the battery makes contact, sometimes there's rust or corrosion. The representative even told us to check for that. She showed us how to remove it with a knife. They stayed maybe an hour and a half 'til everything was perfect and working.

More than three-quarters of the time, you're talking to a robot and it's very difficult because I'm constantly having a fight with the robot. They won't get me a live person to talk to because they insist they can help me out and they can't. With MONI, we get a live person and have someone always calling us. If something goes wrong, which we don't realize there's a low signal coming, they will persist in calling. They would call my phone and my husband's phone and they would leave a message on my landline. So we get away from that and all of those things really count. We want somebody to listen to us and to be able to work with us.

MONI Security response

Glenys, Thank you so much for taking your precious time out of your day to leave us this fantastic review. Our #1 goal is and determination is to deliver exception service and security for all of our customer, as this is something we take pride in and brings us gratitude. Please know that you are like family to us and we will always be here for you and your family, and we thank you for choosing MONI to secure you and your home. –Jacob B

Original review: April 16, 2018

I am active duty military and purchased a house in GA, when I was approached by a salesperson about Moni Alarm service. I fell for the pitch and let them install it into my house. I stayed there for 2 years and got stationed in Louisiana. I contacted them and received an email as to where to send my orders to cancel my service. I sent my orders on numerous occasions over the past 8 months, and have dealt with the crappiest of people trying to resolve this.

Today I get an harassing phone call basically calling me a liar and telling me he is with the some law group collecting a debt that I have been turned over to collections. He goes on to say that they do not have a military clause for active duty who are reassigned to another state, which is completely different from what the person installing the system said. I am also responsible for paying nearly 1200 dollars in fees. These people couldn't care less about you or the service they claim to provide to you. They are just looking for a way to skim you out of money. I wish they go bankrupt, what a disgrace and an unprofessional company. They have systems in place but fail to follow them at their own convenience.

MONI Security response

John, We want to truly thank you for your service from all of us here at MONI, as we appreciate our military members and want to ensure you stay safe, as you do the same for us by serving. Regarding your account and concerns, I would love the opportunity to investigate this and contact you directly with a resolution. I have located your account and will be sure to reach out to you today. -Jacob

Original review: April 16, 2018

I have had Monitronics for over five years and my interactions with their customer service team have been excellent. We have three doors and each door has a different key. I have one door when I go in and out, but the other two are not in the system yet. Sometimes, I forget my other keys inside so I call Monitronics to let them know because if I go to a different door, the other one would come on. Previously, I called them because the battery was low and the alarm was coming on. Most times when I speak with somebody, I do so in Spanish. And all people I spoke with were excellent with me. If I had any questions, they answered and gave me all information I needed. We have a good sense of security and a good experience with MONI.

MONI Security response

Alvaro, We are so excited to hear of positive experiences you have had with us, as its customers like you that have us looking forward to securing you and your home. Please know that we will always be very happy to help you with any questions or concerns you may have, and thank you for sharing this positive review with us. –Jacob B

Original review: April 15, 2018

MONI's field representatives came by and offered me more than what other companies do for the same price. They were courteous, quick, and knew what they were doing. I also spoke with their customer service reps on the phone. They answered my questions and took care of my problem. I just needed a new key fob and they had one sent out. The installers did a good job, too. My neighbor was getting a system and the representative came and I hadn't programmed the key fob and he took care of it for me. He had a little bit of difficulty because it was a different system than he's used to but he did all the calling and took care of it so I didn't have to. I live alone and I've gotten my home security system for protection of the house. I'd tell my friends that it's good to have a home system. It would help with their sense of security especially if they live alone.

MONI Security response

Margaret, We truly appreciate you taking the time out of your precious day to leave us this feedback. Our 5 diamond certified technicians are trained to assist all of our customers any way possible, and to hear that one of them went above and beyond for you brings me great satisfaction. Thank you for allowing us to protect your home and keep you safe. –Jacob B

Original review: April 14, 2018

This company uses a series of "failed" steps to continue to bill the customer when the customer chooses to stop or change services. I sent a certified letter on March 1 to discontinue my services. They debited my bank account early for the next month's services then sent a letter stating that I would need to call and visit a website to cancel. When I called, I was given a link to sign a cancellation document. The link was broken and did not work. I had to call again and was told they would send another. The "resend" never came.

I was billed again for services for the following month, given a late fee for non-payment in March (they received payment) and when I called, I was told the "docusign people don't work on the weekend," so I will need to call back Monday-Friday. All of this and being billed for April/May services while a whole new alarm system was installed in March by another security company! I was told by my bank that they have heard hundreds of complaints about this very practice by this company. I did not choose MONI--my security company sold out to them. The very first time I heard from them in any way was the bill I just received AFTER 10 years of monitoring my home. Terrible company with practices that are unethical if not unlawful.

Updated on 04/16/2018: Still on hold... After they said they would call me I CALLED THEM and am waiting --in my 14th minute of waiting and this is my 6 communication to them about cancelling my services.

MONI Security response

I am so sorry Cindy that you had to experience this! It is never our intent to delay our customers cancellation nor make it difficult. We do in fact aim for customer satisfaction within every outlet of the company. I have accessed your account and will be reaching out to you personally about this and see if i can help with a resolution. -Abraham C.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Current customer who is very displeased with service. Long wait time to get anyone on phone unless you're making a payment. Contract is 3 years. If you are a quality company you shouldn't need a contract. Your customers will stay with you.

MONI Security response

Michelle, It brings great concern to hear of this experience you've had with us here at MONI. We strive for high customer satisfaction, i have located your account and will be sure to reach out to you today to resolve this amicably. -Jacob B

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 13, 2018

I bought my system over 5 years ago and they have never updated it. The idiot that installed it put the wire right next to our mail slot where anyone with a small hand can reach through and cut the wires. This company does not care about your safety. Canceling has been an even worse experience. When I called the first time they never sent the cancellation documents needed. It wasn’t until I filled a complaint with BBB that they sent me the cancellation email.

MONI Security response

Andrea, It is very concerning to hear of this incidence. Our goal at MONI is to provide our customers with the highest satisfaction possible, and I apologize that this was not the case for you. I have located your account information, and will be reaching out to you today to get this matter addressed and resolved amicably. -Jacob B

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 10, 2018

Enter into a contract with this company at your own risk!!! You are crazy to use them! I for some stupid reason agreed to a lengthy contract a couple years ago... from a sales guy that was too good to be true. My parents even got one of their systems on their house. No real problems for first year then we decided to remodel and tried to call Moni numerous times for options as we were "gutting" the house and moving out for approx. one year. I hoped to "suspend" the service until we moved back into house instead of paying for alarm system that wasn't even hooked up. Got no real response from them on first few tries and then finally got someone who supposedly checked in to any options for us and he stated there was no way to suspend the service while we remodeled.

I inquired about canceling and was told I could not unless I paid off the contract. I did get a "deal" of like 3 months at a reduced rate of about $15-$20 off a month for 3 months. We have now moved back in the house and I have called several times requesting a tech come out and re-install the alarm system with no response. Today I got someone to say they could send a tech out to reinstall the system but their supervisor said I needed to extend contract by 6 more months! Ridiculous... this company sucks and once they have you on a "contract" they don't care one thing about you. I am to the point now of closing the checking account that the payment is being drafted from and see if they want to help me then.

MONI Security response

David, i am so sorry to hear that you had to go these experiences during a time that you were remodeling your home. I do understand the hardship that can come with house work such as this and it saddens me to hear that MONI could have contributed towards that hardship. We strive to provide the best in customer service in all circumstances. Id like to reach out to you about this so that i can assist you personally with your immediate needs for your newly remodeled home. I have accessed your account and will be reaching out to you soon. - Abraham C.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I have an alert pendant that I'm supposed to be wearing and it's only good for 25 meters away from home, which is pretty useless 'cause you can't even take a walk and have it on. Also, my equipment is getting worn so I can't read it anymore. I spoke to somebody a month ago and he wanted $85 to get new buzzes, which sounds ridiculous. But overall, I've been fairly pleased with MONI.

MONI Security response

Paul, I am pleased to hear that you have been a long time customer with us, and it means the world to us that you trust us with your safety and security. With that being said, I want to personally ensure you stay protected and your pendant is functioning correctly. I will be reaching out to you today to address your pendant concerns. –Jacob B

Original review: April 7, 2018

I feel more secure with the security system because because I live in a corner and my house is more exposed. It costs me $53 a month and I've had the system for 10 years. That's a big investment but it's worth it. I feel like it's worked for me and I would recommend a system particularly if someone's living out alone or living in a corner because the corners have a higher rate of break-ins than a house in the middle.

I had a problem before though it didn't happen very frequently. But they couldn't fix it over the phone and they had to actually send a technician. He came in and upgraded the system, then he told me that the little sensors on the windows have to have batteries and that the batteries go out, which they may have told me when I first installed the system as well. He went over everything and then reviewed stuff with me. He did a good job. That was over a year ago and the system works fine now. Their representatives have always been really good too. They're able to answer the question and although they didn't that time when they had to upgrade the system but they knew what they had to do. I'm happy with the service.

MONI Security response

Zandra, It brings me great satisfaction to hear of your long time experience with us here at MONI. We always want to ensure we keep our customer safe and secure inside their home, as your security is our top priority here at MONI. We thank you for being a valued customer with us. –Jacob B

Original review: April 6, 2018

Moni purchased our security company and has been monitoring our alarm system for a long time (years). The issues are finally to the point that I feel UNSAFE with them monitoring my home. The system is connected to our smoke detectors. We had a small fire recently in the home and the smoke detectors didn't even go off and no one was notified. I haven't been able to contact anyone at the company to look at the problem or even return my call.

Other issues we have had: When we went out of town I called them to add our house sitter - they didn't do this and instead called us to deal with our alarm going off while we were out of the country. We requested a proof of alarm monitoring to submit to our insurance company numerous times and still can't get them to send one. They won't service or reply to requests for service. They automatically debit our account for payment (and have been for years). They somehow didn't debit the account a couple months ago and have been harassing us for payment on that one month since (many calls/week since). We have tried insisting on having a service technician come out but they say it's a different department. I can't think of a worse company to deal with and have absolutely nothing good to say about them. As mentioned, learning the smoke detectors aren't connected is the final straw - I would NEVER recommend anyone who cares about security use Moni.

MONI Security response

Shauna, We truly value our customers and never want you to endure something like what you have described. I hate to hear that you had to experience a small fire while out of town, but I am grateful to hear that everyone is ok. I would like the opportunity to investigate this matter more in depth and speak with you directly to address and resolve your concerns. I have located your account and will be sure to contact you directly with a resolution. –Jacob.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I've been with MONI for five years now. The first time I met with a rep, the interaction was very professional. He told me the different bundles so it was easy to get the right one that I needed. Then, the installation went well. We had a guy come out of Amarillo. When he got to the house, he introduced himself. He was very professional. He showed me step by step what he was going to do and did it. Then he guided me through putting in our own code and told me about the panic code. I thought it would be harder because I've never had a security system before but he made it very easy. MONI charged me a fair cost. I don't have the greatest bundle, but I get something equivalent to what I pay.

When our contract was up, I was going to let MONI go. At that time, I didn't have the bell cam or the keyless door entry. We were looking at Vivint and I told MONI what Vivint was offering. They told me that they could offer that to me. We had a good experience with MONI, so we stayed for another contract. My bill went up $10, which was reasonable.

The quality of the equipment has been good and I use the smartphone app for the keyless door entry, to set my alarm, and deactivate and activate the thermostat. Last month, I had a low battery alarm on the keyless entry. I figured the batteries out and I went and bought some Energizers put them in and they still gave me a low battery. I then called customer service. We walked through, the rep did the test and after that, he asked me which batteries I bought. He told me that I needed the lithium ones and as soon as I switched to that, everything was good. What I like about what happened was he called me back the next day to make sure everything was working well. I told him that as soon as I took his advice, everything cleared up. I also told him I appreciated that he told me that. You can't go wrong with MONI. They're a great outfit and they're always there when you need them.

MONI Security response

Ramon, Hearing of your pleasant experience and tenure with us makes everything we do here at MONI worth it. It means the world to me to know that even when you were considering leaving MONI, you still allowed us the chance to continue to provide you with our amazing service and continued protection for you and your home. Thank you for being a valued customer with us. –Jacob B

Original review: April 5, 2018

We got a home security system from Brinks because we do not have a good neighbor down here. Moreover, we have the cars on the side of the road up here and I have a motorcycle in the back with my Ram and a Bronco so I want to get everything clear down here, especially with a family because I'm working nights. I have my daughter and my wife. However, another company offered me something cheap so I changed. But in the long run, I decided to go back to Brinks because they have everything. And they gave me a good service.

I've been with them for four years now. The interaction with their rep wasn't bad. Brinks set up everything nicely and explained everything to me. They put in a carbon monoxide monitor and it's connected to the fire department. But right now, it's not working. It started beeping and I changed the battery but it doesn't do any good. I put it back and I talked to one of their reps. He gave me some instructions but the thing started beeping again. But Brinks' price is good, not too high and not too low. My wife has the smartphone features on her phone as well and she's very satisfied with Brinks. She feels safe down here.

MONI Security response

Thank you for taking the time to share this awesome review with us. As a security company, your safety and security are always a top priority with us. We value our customers and look forward to securing you and your home for years to come -Jacob B

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 4, 2018

MONI offered free installation and we took advantage of that. The reps seemed good to me and the quality of the equipment and performance of the system are okay. We have only the alarm, and their monthly fee is pretty normal. But they increase the monthly rates premium amount without notifying me and I don’t like that. I let them know that, but it doesn’t do any good. As soon as our contract is up, we’re going to cancel it. I’m dissatisfied and I wouldn’t recommend them.

MONI Security response

Joanne, To hear that an unpleasant experience like this has caused you to want to cancel, is very disturbing, as we never want our customers to feel this way. I will be more than happy to speak with you and get this matter resolved, as we do not want to lose a loyal customer. I have your account information pulled and I will be personally reaching out to you today address your concerns. –Jacob B

Original review: April 3, 2018

Right now MONI is okay, but there have been a couple of times that it went off and I didn’t get alerted. But it could have been my fault because as I went to my smartphone, I saw that they sent me emails and messages. I was gonna get cameras from them and they came out yesterday, but I wasn’t satisfied with their cameras so I’m looking for another company to get cameras from. But I like the alarm system and I’m satisfied with it so far. The smartphone feature is also good because I used it when I was out of town. I would recommend them.

MONI Security response

Sedric, It Is very concerning to hear that we have a customer who is not satisfied, as we never want our customers to endure anything less than a pleasant experience. ON the other end, I am grateful to hear that you are satisfied with your system and the smartphone features that make using your alarm very convenient. I have located your account with us, and will be reaching out to you today regarding the camera additions to your home. –Jacob B

Original review: April 2, 2018

MONI is there when you need them, and if you have an issue, you call them and they are there to fix it right then and there. They have helped me pay my bill, connect and troubleshoot service. Their customer service is great. They're very polite and they help you in any way they can.

MONI Security response

Charlleen, I cannot express to you how wonderful it is to read and hear that our customers love the service and security we deliver. Our customers satisfaction and security mean everything to us, and I appreciate you for being a valued part of our MONI family. –Jacob B.

Original review: March 29, 2018

We moved back in December and contacted Moni security several times to cancel our service. We was with them several years and anytime our alarm system went off nobody ever contacted us. They are still taking a payment monthly from our bank. Would never recommend this company. ADT is much better.

MONI Security response

William, When it comes to a customer cancelling service, we never intend to make any request a difficult one. With that being said, we do have a process we have to follow for security reasons, in which I show we followed with your account. I will be sure to contact you directly to discuss this more in depth. -Theresa T.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Cancelling My Account After 5 Years - MONI has terrible customer service when canceling an account. I am moving and wanted to stop the service and called on a Monday. I was told I would receive an email in 24-48 hours to allow me to cancel the service. It did not arrive. I called again on Wednesday and was assured the email would arrive the following day by 10:51 am. It did not arrive. I called again on Thursday and was told by calling it automatically cancelled my Wednesday email, so again it would be 24-48 hours before I received an email. Total run-around. No supervisor, no way to improve "the service." What a miserable way to do business. Terrible, terrible customer service. They should be ashamed.

MONI Security response

Patricia, It is very upsetting to know that your cancellation experience hasn't been a positive one. We are committed to ensuring that we assist our customers with any concerns that you may have with your account, and I am sorry to know that we have not been able to do so in this case. I have located your account with us and will be sure to contact you in an attempt to resolve this matter amicably. -Theresa T.

Original review: March 29, 2018

There are a lot of rivalries here in Puerto Rico and the crime rate is astronomical because the economy is so bad, and I chose to put a security system through MONI in the house for all the doors mainly for protection. The installation of the system was done by ACT. Every time I call them, their reps are very polite and prompt to answer any issues that I might encounter. If I have any issues locally, they have technicians that they will send to correct whatever issue I may have.

Our doors have sensors, and I have motion detector sensors in the house as well. If anybody breaks a window or wants to come into the house through one of them, the motion detector will detect that, and the alarm will go off. Within a minute or so after that, if there's no response from me, it will call the local authorities so they could respond. There were no issues like that so far, but they are prepared to do that. MONI also has impact sensors and it detects if there's a break-in. I would like to have it in my house but then, everything that I add costs more money and it will be too much monthly for me so I didn't add that to the system. But I'm pleased with the overall functionality and performance of the system that I have.

The cameras help me a great deal. There's a feature that I could just use the system and view my house through my cellular phone no matter where I am whenever I have Wi-Fi and there's internet. It's excellent to have. I can also put it in a sleep mode where I could arm the system for the doors, but not the sensors, and walk around the house without triggering it. The alarm will let me know that a door has been opened so it's a good system.

MONI had been right there for me even when I was without electricity for almost a month and a half because of Hurricane Maria on September 20th. They waived the fee for those two months and I was very grateful for that. On top of that, they let me know every time the power goes off. I will recommend them to anyone. My neighbors asked me about the system because they have seen the cameras. I had contacted a couple of neighbors and I would refer them. I have seen the ACT Security System in various neighborhoods which means people are catching up to it. And I'm really glad for them.

MONI Security response

Juan, Hearing that your overall experience with MONI has been just as you planned for it to be is the best feeling in the world to us! Please know that we will always be here for you and your family, as your security and peace of mind is our number one priority. If there is every a time that you need anything from us, please be sure to reach out directly, as we will be eager to assist you. -Theresa T.

Original review: March 28, 2018

So I've had MONI Security for years, when 2 of my door sensors went bad they wanted to charge me to fix them, so I decided to cancel. Their cancellation process is almost impossible and they make it that way on purpose. DO NOT sign up with any service with this company, go through DAY or Comcast or anyone else for that matter. It's been two weeks going back and forth and still no cancellation. So now I have to go change my bank account due to this. Save yourself the headache and go elsewhere, this company is no good!!!

MONI Security response

Greg, Please know that the interaction you have described in your review is the complete opposite of the type of experience we aim for our customers to receive when contacting us to cancel their service. We always hate losing one of our valued customers, but we would never want the process to be a difficult one. With that being said, I would love to speak with you regarding your concerns with your account. I have located your account and I will be sure to contact you directly once my research has been completed. -Theresa T.

Original review: March 28, 2018

If I could do a zero star or negative star review, I would. This company endorses salespeople who lie and will tell you whatever they need to for you to buy their product. We bought this worthless system 3 years ago and asked their salesperson several times if there was a contract or cancellation fee- he said no. A year and a half later we call to cancel due to losing my job and WOW- AMAZING, 5 year contract. We request a copy of the contract- it takes 30+ days to actually get to us. The signatures were forged, neither one was mine nor my wife's.

We went over this with their "Customer Support", who could care less. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THESE CROOKS. Now we are moving still stuck with this legal theft company and they want to extend our contract even more or charge us $500+ for equipment we do not want. Their representatives are absolutely useless and will tell you whatever they need to do to get you off the phone then have no follow through. I'm ready to take this case to the police and have them settle this because I am no longer going to pay for the lies and theft that have been provided us with this garbage company.

MONI Security response

Micah, I am very sad to hear that you are looking to leave us, but please know that even though you are looking to part ways with us we would never want to end on a bad note. I have located your account with us and will be sure to reach out to you to discuss this matter further. -Theresa T.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Several years ago, my brother was selling for MONI Security as a summer sales job while he was in school. After someone tried to break into our house at 3:00 in the morning, we contacted my brother and got the system. The fact that my brother was selling for MONI made us able to ask a bunch of questions and I felt my brother would give me a more honest answer than a regular salesman would. In that way, when we asked him about things, we got the information we felt like we needed and that was the determining factor for us.

We asked them how to best secure the windows because that was what we had ran into with this particular guy. Lots of people have little things on all of their individual windows and one of the things he recommended instead was the monitor for glass breaking. That was for an entire room as opposed to individual stuff and it was comforting that we could just put one thing in a room and it covers the sound of glass breaking or a big noise that could potentially trip the alarm. If there was a feature that we liked at the time, that would have been the one.

The only thing that seemed peculiar during the installation was the video camera in our living area. It was put a couple of feet down the wall in the corner and because it's white against a colorfully painted wall, it's more visible. It doesn't blend into the corner with the white ceiling. Otherwise, the installer did a good job in setting the whole thing up and it's been working functionally and properly. We have three dogs and if we’re carrying things, it takes us a bit longer to get to it. But usually we make it. Also, sometimes we forget and the alarm goes off. But it's more of a user error than a functional error of the system. Nonetheless, it has served its purpose for the last couple of years and it's been fine for what we had wanted it to be. It's nice to be able to set the alarm in addition to locking the doors at night when going to bed. It’s about our safety when we are inside the house, sleeping, and it provides that additional peace of mind.

MONI Security response

Sarah, We are happy to hear that you’ve taken the steps to secure your home with MONI’s award winning monitoring service. We are pleased to hear of this positive experience you have shared with us, and we look forward to securing your family for many years to come. Thank you, Theresa T.

Original review: March 25, 2018

MONI has always been there for me. I had talked with their customer service about sending the alarm certificate to send to my insurance company, and the rep was really nice. I also contacted them for an alarm system check and I asked the rep for a new sign, since mine was looking bad. They curled backward for being out in the sun for so long and I asked the rep if it would cost anything and she said that she would let me have the signs as compliments. She just asked me how many I needed and said that there wouldn’t be any charge. I told her that I needed the one in the front and another one in the back, but I only received one. I then called them and the guy said that the previous rep only put one down, but he said that it was no problem and he sent me another one at no charge. If anybody asks me about MONI, I will tell them that I have always been pleased, and I feel safe and secure with them.

MONI Security response

Phyllis, We truly thank you for being a valued customer here at MONI. Our main priority is to always ensure that our customers feel safe and secure with us, and I am thrilled to know that this is the case with you! We thank you for allowing us the opportunity to secure you and your home. -Theresa T.

MONI expert review by Erin Raub

Founded in Texas in 1994, MONI Security is now one of the largest home security companies in the United States. Authorized dealers are located in all 50 states, offering easily customized, tech-savvy alarm systems at mid-range cost. The company, a subsidiary of Ascent Capital Group, serves over a million residential and business consumers.

• Customized equipment: MONI Security offers many equipment brands in different price ranges. The company's offerings are comprehensive, extending beyond basic security to home lighting control, keypad door locks and remote-access thermostats. Product availability varies by location.

• HomeTouch automation: MONI Security remote home security allows you to perform an array of tasks via computer, smartphone or tablet: arm/disarm your system, tweak your thermostat, lock your doors and even check your appliances from afar.

• Backup power sources & monitoring: Redundancy is the name of the game: two power sources ensure you never lose security coverage, and multiple monitoring channels ­– Internet, phone line, and cellular – guarantee your system is always connected to the monitoring station.

• Specials: MONI regularly offers specials for new customers. You can visit the company’s website or contact a local dealer to learn about current specials and discounts.

• Equipment: MONI Security device selection differs from its competitors. Before making a commitment, verify that your local dealer has your desired devices available.

• Best for: Homeowners, tech-savvy shoppers and hands-off consumers.

Profile picture of Erin Raub
Erin Raub

Alarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.

MONI Security Company Information