Ring

Written by
Author picture
Edited by

About Ring

Ring’s home security devices include its popular video doorbell system, security cameras and smart lighting. Its equipment is easy to install, and plans are available with or without professional monitoring.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Quality video surveillance
    • DIY installation
    • Self-monitoring option
    • 30-day trial period
    Cons
    • Few home automation features
    • Some customer service complaints

Featured Reviews

Verified
    Concord, CA

This system is easy to use. The installation instructions are easy to understand. Once installed, I forget about it and just let it do its work. It really gives me a peace of mind...

Verified
    Clovis, CA

The overall security system is great because it allows you the ability to connect between different devices. I am able to connect my outdoor floodlight camera with the Ring mobile...

Ring equipment

How does Ring work?

Ring is a DIY security system that helps you protect your house, apartment or commercial business property. Ring security systems require Wi-Fi to send push notifications to your smartphone or tablet.

Video doorbells operate on battery power and use Wi-Fi to alert you when someone presses the button or when they detect motion, and contact sensors send instant mobile alerts when doors or windows open on your property. You can pair these sensors with an Alexa device and hub to add voice control capability. The sensors are also compatible with iOS and Android devices.

Most connection processes for Ring products take place through the Neighbors app, which is available for Apple and Android devices. Through Ring’s Neighbors app, you get real-time safety alerts from their local law enforcement, homeowners associations and community groups.

You can also stream video and communicate with anyone on your doorstep through two-way audio.

Ring packages and pricing

Starting costs for Ring packages range from $199.99 to $379.99. All home alarm kits come with a base station, keypad, door/window contact sensor and motion detector, and you can customize your system with extra cameras, glass break sensors, smart doorbells, smart lights and more.

* Regular price, as of publishing

How much does Ring cost per month

Ring offers three monitoring options: Basic, Plus and Pro. If you opt for a Ring professional monitoring plan, you get a seven-day “practice-mode period” to get to know your new system without triggering false alarms.

• Basic: For $3.99 per month, you get video recording for one Ring doorbell or camera and access to the app for arming and disarming the system.
    • Plus: For $10 per month, you get video recording for multiple Ring devices at one location, plus extra digital features through the app.
    • Pro: Starting at $20 per month, this plan provides 24/7 professional alarm monitoring.

» FIND: The cheapest home security systems of 2023

Ring installation

Ring designed its security systems for DIY installation. “The Ring system was very easy to set up,” according to a reviewer in California. “I installed three ring floodlights, a doorbell and a Chime pro. I can view all sides of my house and the doorbell notifies me, even if the person doesn’t ring the bell.”

Once you unpack the equipment, all you have to do is sign up for the app and register your Ring Alarm base station. You then complete the setup by placing the sensors and motion detectors around your home or business.

How does Ring compare?

Compare Ring to similarly rated home security companies.

Don't like scammers? You won't like burglars either. See your best security system.

Let's go

Ring FAQ

Is Ring safe from hackers?

Relating to incidents that happened in 2017, “the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) thinks that Ring has been a little too sloppy in that regard, that its poor privacy and lax security have let its own company employees spy on customers through their cameras,” ConsumerAffairs reporter Gary Guthrie wrote in June 2023, after Ring agreed to a $25 million settlement over privacy issues.

In general, anything that connects to the internet is susceptible to hackers. It's important to take your own steps to protect yourself. If you have any video cameras installed in your home, look into the FTC’s tips to secure your home security cameras. If you use an app to manage your access, check out the privacy settings and permissions.

How loud is the Ring alarm?

The alert noise from the Dome Sirens sounds at 95 decibels at 1 foot — louder than the sound of a jackhammer.

Does Ring require a subscription?

You can technically self-monitor for free, but it might not be worth it. A reviewer in Pennsylvania was dissatisfied with how Ring’s subscription model works.

“It was important that I could preserve recordings so I subscribed to Ring Pro that would let you save unlimited videos,” they told us. “Then, after about a year, when I no longer needed the useless recording saving, I unsubscribed and … Ring locked me out of the app and told me that if I wanted to change any settings, I had to subscribe to a plan.

How long does the Ring battery last?

The Ring video doorbell battery lasts between six months and a year, but the battery may run out more quickly in colder climates. The battery life of other devices depends on conditions and usage:

• Ring base station: Internal rechargeable battery with up to 24 hours of backup
    • Ring contact sensor: 3-volt lithium battery; lasts up to three years
    • Ring Alarm keypad: Internal rechargeable battery; lasts up to seven months
    • Ring Alarm motion detector: 3-volt lithium battery; lasts up to three years
    • Ring Alarm range extender: Internal rechargeable battery with up to 22 hours of backup
    • Ring panic button: 3-volt lithium battery; lasts up to three years
    Can you have multiple Ring doorbells?

Yes, you can have multiple Ring doorbells on the same property.

Is Ring owned by Amazon?

Amazon acquired Ring in 2018. Ring works with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa and Apple HomeKit. Alexa has the most thorough integration of the three.

Is Ring worth it?

Ring is known for its high-quality equipment, especially the doorbell cam, app features and easy installation. We like that you can monitor their homes remotely and get notifications about any suspicious activity.

But it might be hard to get hold of someone when you need to. “The Ring cameras are very good,” according to a reviewer in North Carolina. “But technical support/customer service is terrible.”

All products work with Alexa-enabled devices, but that’s the extent of its smart-home automation features. And while products are fairly affordable, the additional accessories and DIY monitoring may be expensive for some.

“My Ring doorbell and security camera works great and the app is easy to download, setup and use,” a reviewer in California said. “It’s very inexpensive to add monitoring to your device(s). Hard wiring these devices is the best, but Wi-Fi is good as long as you keep the batteries charged. Remember usage will drain the batteries. Be sure to utilize the settings to manage your devices and you will get good results.”

Ring Reviews

Stars Rating

• 5%
    • 2%
    • 1%
    • 4%
    • 87%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ring?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ring?

Reviewed July 14, 2024

Honestly Ring was 1000 x better 3 years ago. The customer support and pricing were incredible. Nowadays it’s AWFUL. A BUNCH of FAKE promises and each agent just reading a generic computer response from some call center in perhaps India. I’m so disappointed and honestly would recommend any other brand over Ring. I’ve been with them for 4+ years now and am in complete disbelief how poorly their support has been.

Verified purchase
      Customer ServiceOnline & App

Reviewed July 9, 2024

VERY DISSATISFIED. SHADY AND UNFORTUNATE. I actually think the equipment is decent, but the app sucks, CS experience sucks, and refunding times are abysmal and shady. When I decided to subscribe, the app charged me the whole year, even though I definitely selected the monthly option... I called CS immediately to fix. The rep told me they would change me back to the monthly and "refund" the balance. I noticed they actually did a credit on their end, which I found shady, when I specifically asked for it to be refund on my card. I asked for that to be corrected, and all of the sudden, that would take 3 days blah blah. The whole thing was very untrustworthy so I decided to cancel the entire subscription and avoid further complications, and requested the whole amount to be refunded.

Rep said it would be up to 3 days, and to call the bank directly as they handle the refunds... It's been a week and the bank didn't get anything from Ring. So I reached out to the CS again. They told me the refund has been processed now, but it takes 5-7 business days, which means I should actually expect it to be about 2 weeks... Unbelievable. At this point I don't even know if I'll get the refund or when because CS reps don't say anything other "can I help you with something else?" even though they haven't helped yet with the one thing I'm asking... LOL I'm laughing because it is just absurd to ignore people's requests and reply with that instead. Just embarrassing for them.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServiceDelivery & Shipping

Reviewed June 22, 2024

I purchased 2 wired stick up cams from Ring. Both arrived as battery units (no wired power supplies). Phoned customer service and spent 25 mins trying to explain to the service rep that I hadn’t received what I ordered. Eventually, he agreed to order two power supplies. A week later (within their delivery promise), no communication. Used their customer chatbot to enquire, only to be told the items are out of stock and no delivery date known. When I asked for spare batteries in the interim (cameras both drain on battery within 12 hours), I was told I needed to speak with someone in customer service. So I called and went through the same process of explanation and request for spare batteries.

The service rep spoke to their supervisor and the request for spare batteries was declined. I reiterated that they hadn’t delivered what I ordered, taken my payment, yet cannot supply what I’d paid for. I simply wanted them to provide two spare batteries so I could use the cameras continuously. The customer service rep then escalated to a more senior level of management and said I should expect a response to my case in 24-48 hours. Well, 96 hours later no response from Ring. They don’t care, they take your money under false pretenses and leave you without any further commitment on their part. DON’T USE RING!!!

Camera & Video

Reviewed June 1, 2024

Incompetent: My Ring had 2 videos in the middle of the day that said "Persistent Video - no Video." Before and after for hours was fine. I called Support because I have a criminal landlord who has vandalized my Ring Cam before. Just as I got someone (Cedrie, in the Philippines) I went back to Event History and the latter of the two magically had fixed itself, 3 hours later! I could now see the video correctly (with my roommate entering). But the earlier one still showed/shows "No Video." Cedrie was absolutely clueless about the issue, telling me she had to give me information like "Ring is battery powered" when I have owned it for 5 years and changed the battery dozens, if not hundreds, of time.

She insisted on going over the Motion Settings, even the device was and is working correctly before and after the two events. I finally had to ask for a supervisor because she kept asking such silly, basic questions. I'm still waiting for the supervisor or Level 2. Don't they have a reasonable policy to pass the customer to higher technical support or have support contact me? Ridiculous.

Reviewed May 21, 2024

Customer Service is basically non-existent; after 2 hours we got nowhere. After 3 weeks of activating and a further $100 purchase of a replay feature our camera went blank. Repeated attempts to talk with someone via Chat or phone was unsuccessful, you only talk with a computer. Do not buy from this company. If you look at the reviews they are mostly 1's, especially in the last few years. It seems that they started out good but rested on their laurels. Don't waste your money on this company, look for better options and much better customer service.

Reviewed May 18, 2024

Loved it but realized security is not their top priority because it does not work with Windows operating system. Is android Apple system only?!?! You got windows you are screwed. All can do is look at your device. Probably going close account because I want someone whose security is top prioority.

Camera & Video

Reviewed May 7, 2024

I’m tired of Ring refusing to post my videos. A man walked up our sidewalk, looked on our porch and walked away. I shared the video with the title “Suspicious person” and stated that this man may have been looking for packages and for people to watch their property. They refused to post it TWICE!!! WHY!!! I’m tired of this company doing this. I did not violate their rules.

Camera & VideoSmart Devices

Reviewed April 17, 2024

You were kinda the grandpa on the scene. But grandpa move over. Your video skips and goes to blank, rarely focuses, you don’t have night vision. Let me repeat….You don’t have night vision and the quality of your recordings is less than 720. IT'S 2K OUT THERE MAN for 25% of your price (Wyze no hub 2k plug and play). I’m just insulted that clearly you’re paying stores to feature you because it’s not on performance. Go find the next Shark Tank thing. This one is over. I’d say mad respect but I don't

Reviewed April 17, 2024

I am very disappointed with the floodlight camera. It worked only for a few years and when I called customer service all they could do was only gave me a discount. So I have to pay money again and who knows how long it will be working.

Profile pic of the author.
        Installation & SetupOnline & AppSmart Devices

Reviewed April 15, 2024

I just finished installing a Ring Alarm system, and I am so impressed.

1 - All the sensors are wireless. Powered by CR2032 coin cells, or AA batteries.

2 - The keypads are wireless, and Powered by rechargeable batteries. Documentation says these units will last six months between recharging. When it's time to recharge them, they slide out of their wall holder easily. Then can be placed back in their holders after charging. It is possible to hardwire the keypads to their power supplies. The keypads can conserve power by only activating their LEDs when you approach them. One can add multiple keypads to the system. I have installed three of them.

3 - Small, battery powered (coin cell) devices with great wireless range talking back to the base.

4 - Motion detectors work very well using coin cell batteries. They are wireless.

5 - Interfaces to Alexa like a dream. I have Alexa announce when doors are opened or closed. Alexa even turns on my kitchen lights when I come in the back door.

6 - Easy to install this system using the app. Easy to add more devices for expansion.

7 - My home is three stories. Before the installation, I worried that someone could break into the basement and enter the house while I was asleep. Not anymore. I have door sensors on all the doors and a motion detector to secure the area. I also installed a keypad that allows me to set my alarm in the garage, get my car out, and close the garage door during the exit delay. During entry delay, I'm able to get the garage door open and unset the alarm.

In conclusion... I am so impressed with this system. I can't say enough good things about this system. It's versatile, and interfaces with Alexa like a dream. I have been looking for such a system for a long time. I'm glad I didn't buy another product.

Ring Company Information