4.0/5 (62 ratings)

About Ring

Ring’s home security devices include its popular video doorbell system, security cameras and smart lighting. Its equipment is easy to install, and its plans are available with or without monitoring. All products work with Alexa-enabled devices, but that’s the extent of its smart-home automation features. While the products are fairly affordable, the additional accessories and DIY monitoring may be expensive for some.

Find Home Alarm and Security Systems partners near you

Pros

• High-quality video surveillance
    • No long-term contracts
    • DIY installation
    • Optional monitoring plans

Cons

• Few home automation features
    • Expensive accessories

Bottom Line

Ring is a solid security system for those who want to monitor their homes remotely. Additional Ring security products can get pricey, but customers enjoy not having to sign a long-term contract.

Top Ring Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Verified

What is Ring?

Ring is a DIY security system that helps you protect your house, apartment or commercial business property. Ring’s video doorbells let you see and communicate with people on your doorstep from your phone, tablet or compatible Amazon Echo device. Its 1080p, high-definition outdoor spotlight cameras have a 140-degree horizontal field of view and a 78-degree vertical field of view.

Through Ring’s Neighbors app, customers also get real-time safety alerts from their local law enforcement, homeowners associations and community groups. Ring is compatible with most Dome Sirens, Ecolink sensors, First Alert alarms, GE and Leviton lights and smart locks from Schlage, Yale and Kwikset.

How does Ring work?

Ring security systems require Wi-Fi to send push notifications to your smartphone or tablet. Its video doorbells operate on battery power and use Wi-Fi to alert you when someone presses the button or when it detects motion, and its contact sensors send instant mobile alerts when doors or windows open on your property. You can pair these sensors with an Alexa device and hub to add voice control capability. The sensors are also compatible with iOS and Android devices.

Most connection processes for Ring products take place through the Neighbors app, which is available for Apple, Android and Windows 10 devices. With the Neighbors app, you can stream video and communicate through two-way audio with anyone on your doorstep. You can also control a few home automation functions from the app, including smart lights and locks.

Ring equipment and security accessories

The Ring alarm home security kit comes with a base station, motion detector, contact sensor, keypad and range extender. Once you have the alarm base kit, you can customize your home protection with video doorbells, surveillance cameras, alarm contact sensors and other Ring security products.

Ring products

How much does Ring cost?

Ring Protect Plans cost between $0 and $10 per month. All Ring plans — Free, Basic and Plus —  include motion notifications, real-time video streaming, two-way talk features and lifetime theft protection. The company only charges monthly subscription fees if you want video saving and sharing or a professional Ring monitoring plan.

• Ring Protect Basic costs $3 per month or $30 per year and comes with video saving and sharing features. This plan has coverage for one doorbell or security camera.
    • Ring Protect Plus costs $10 per month or $100 per year and includes 24/7 professional monitoring, extended warranties for all devices and 10% off select accessories. This plan covers all devices at one address.
    Ring Protect FreeRing Protect BasicRing Protect Plus
    Ring Protect Free$0One year
    Ring Protect Basic$3One year
    Ring Protect Plus$10Extended

Ring installation

Ring designed its security systems for easy installation. Once you unpack the equipment, all you have to do is sign up for the app and register your Ring Alarm Base Station. You then complete the setup by placing the sensors and motion detectors around your home or business.

You can install a Ring doorbell yourself. Simply mount the video doorbell in the desired location, and it will automatically connect to the Ring app via Wi-Fi.

If you opt for a Ring professional monitoring plan, you get a seven-day “practice mode” period to get to know your new system without triggering false alarms.

Ring security FAQ

How much does Ring cost?
    Ring equipment costs about $200 for the basic kit, but the price increases if you purchase optional accessories and upgrades. Ring security plans with premium features or monitoring cost between $3 and $10 each month.
    Is there a monthly fee for Ring?
    Sometimes. Ring only requires monthly subscription fees if you want premium features or professional monitoring. These plans cost between $3 and $10 per month.
    What is Ring Protect professional monitoring?
    Ring Protect professional monitoring is a service that alerts local authorities when your security system detects a threat. The Ring monitoring center employs a team of emergency response technicians to oversee all Ring alarms around the clock.
    How long does a Ring battery last?
    The Ring video doorbell battery lasts between six months and a year, but the battery may run out more quickly in colder climates.

The battery life of other Ring devices depends on their usage.

• Ring Base Station: Internal rechargeable battery with up to 24 hours of backup
    • Ring Contact Sensor: 3-volt lithium battery; lasts up to three years
    • Ring Alarm Keypad: Internal rechargeable battery; lasts up to seven months
    • Ring Alarm Motion Detector: 3-volt lithium battery; lasts up to three years
    • Ring Alarm Range Extender: Internal rechargeable battery with up to 22 hours of backup
    • Ring Panic Button: 3-volt lithium battery; lasts up to three years
    Does Ring work with Google Home or Alexa?
    Yes, Ring works with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa and Apple HomeKit. Alexa is the most thorough integration of the three.
    Are Ring doorbells waterproof?
    Ring doorbells are resistant to rain and freezing temperatures. However, you should not submerge them in water.
    Can you have multiple Ring doorbells?
    Yes, you can have multiple Ring doorbells on the same property.
    Does Ring require a subscription?
    No, Ring only requires a subscription if you want optional features or professional monitoring services. You can monitor your Ring home security system in real time through your phone for free.
    Does a Ring Alarm call the police?
    Yes, Ring Alarm professional monitoring centers call your local police department if the system detects a security threat.
    What is Ring’s refund policy?
    Ring provides a full refund if you return devices within 30 days of purchase.
    Is Ring owned by Amazon?
    Yes. Amazon acquired Ring in 2018.

Is Ring worth it?

Ring is a smart option for homeowners, business owners and renters who want to monitor their property from their phones. Ring video doorbells come equipped with infrared night vision, automatic motion detection and recording capabilities. Professional monitoring plans are optional, and there are a variety of Ring alarm accessories that make it easy to customize your protection level.

Ring Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ring?

Original review: May 7, 2021

My Ring doorbell and security camera works great and the app is easy to download, setup and use. It’s very inexpensive to add monitoring to your device(s). Hard wiring these devices is the best, but WiFi is good as long as you keep the batteries charged. Remember usage will drain the batteries. Be sure to utilize the settings to manage your devices and you will get good results. We have been extremely happy with these products that we will install a complete ring security system when we move in 3 months.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

This system is easy to use and customer service is always available should you have a problem. I have all battery operated items vs hard wired which work but I think hard wired is always the best way to go. You don’t get service interruptions or video problems if hard wired. With battery you can’t place cameras too far from your wifi. The doorbell itself is wonderful. I get issues with the spotlight cams. One constantly gives me black recordings and the other doesn’t have the light come on with motion any longer. I’ve had these products for about 4 years.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

My experience with Ring is quite the opposite. l wish l could say l recommend this system. But it would be a false statement. I had to charge it at least once every 2 wks. The battery would run done fast. Just a little wind blowing would make it go off. It would record. But the video was not very clear. It would ring after they were walking away. The only positive thing about it was. Now it's connected to your local police stations. I would not buy this product. "Buyer Beware".

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

Simply out pleased and I’ve never felt safer. I feel pretty secure about my choices and I’ve always been interested in this company because they are so streamlined and straightforward able to text. Neighborhood and all my neighbors have one of their products so with that being said I couldn’t see myself being in the kitchen. I love the constant report of happenings in my neighborhood whether it’s a lost dog or I’ll Package Theft I am always aware.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

My grandson gave me a Ring doorbell for Christmas and then my son installed it. Even though he attempted to hardwire it with no success it works well with the enclosed battery and I have a spare as back up. Really like seeing who is at my door utilizing the motion sensor and then being able to speak to whoever is at the door without having to open it. The doorbell chimes on my cell phone when pushed so I get that notification even if I’m not home.

Original review: July 13, 2021

I purchased the Ring Doorbell a couple of months ago. After spending an hour installing it, I reviewed its operation and set my preferences.

1. Several of the features I most wanted from it was missing, and only available after paying an annual rent of some $39.00. I paid a premium for the product, only to be socked with an annual fee which I refuse to pay.
      2. The camera is slow to recognize motion so that persons approaching my door are invariably leaving before the camera recognizes their presence. My other outdoor cameras, costing half as much to purchase, are 15-20 seconds faster than the Ring. Catching a package thief is much easier if the camera catches a face view rather than a back view of the thief running away.
      3. The camera has no provision for inserting a memory chip or mini to store recorded instances as cameras costing half as much do. This is also one of the features costing an annual rent on the doorbell camera.
      4. They have a "feature" where they connect through your WiFi with all local neighbors, invading all of our privacy rights at once. I turned that monstrosity off.

5. I've had it too long to send it back for a refund, or I would. I have ordered a doorbell camera costing half as much with a mini-chip slot and a response to motion much faster than the Ring. This one will be trashed, I'm afraid. The Ring has been another failed test of a cheap product sold dearly and with an annual cost.

Original review: May 15, 2021

The overall security system is great because it allows you the ability to connect between different devices. I am able to connect my outdoor floodlight camera with the Ring mobile app and my doorbell camera. It's also great you can connect it to your Amazon Alexa device to view who is at your front door.

Original review: May 8, 2021

The Ring system was very easy to set up. I installed three ring floodlights, a doorbell and a chime pro. I can view all sides of my house and the doorbell notifies me, even if the person doesn’t ring the bell. I no longer worry about things that go bump in the night or need to open my door to strangers. The price is very reasonable compared to other systems.

Original review: May 6, 2021

This system is easy to use. The installation instructions are easy to understand. Once installed, I forget about it and just let it do its work. It really gives me a peace of mind. I would recommend this to my network.

Original review: May 5, 2021

Very easy to install and operate! Video and sound quality are great! The price is very affordable. I feel just as secure having the Ring instead of some of the other leading security high end systems!

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Home Security partner.

Ring Company Information