3.6/5 (147 ratings)

About Ring

Ring’s home security devices include its popular video doorbell system, security cameras and smart lighting. Its equipment is easy to install, and its plans are available with or without monitoring. All products work with Alexa-enabled devices, but that’s the extent of its smart-home automation features. While the products are fairly affordable, the additional accessories and DIY monitoring may be expensive for some.

Find Home Alarm and Security Systems near you

Pros

• High-quality video surveillance
    • No long-term contracts
    • DIY installation
    • Optional monitoring plans

Cons

• Few home automation features
    • Expensive accessories

Bottom Line

Ring is a solid security system for those who want to monitor their homes remotely. Additional Ring security products can get pricey, but customers enjoy not having to sign a long-term contract.

Top Ring Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ring?

Verified

The overall security system is great because it allows you the ability to connect between different devices. I am able to connect my outdoor floodlight camera with the Ring mobile...

Verified

The Ring system was very easy to set up. I installed three ring floodlights, a doorbell and a chime pro. I can view all sides of my house and the doorbell notifies me, even if the...

What is Ring?

Ring is a DIY security system that helps you protect your house, apartment or commercial business property. Ring’s video doorbells let you see and communicate with people on your doorstep from your phone, tablet or compatible Amazon Echo device. Its 1080p, high-definition outdoor spotlight cameras have a 140-degree horizontal field of view and a 78-degree vertical field of view.

Through Ring’s Neighbors app, customers also get real-time safety alerts from their local law enforcement, homeowners associations and community groups. Ring is compatible with most Dome Sirens, Ecolink sensors, First Alert alarms, GE and Leviton lights and smart locks from Schlage, Yale and Kwikset.

How does Ring work?

Ring security systems require Wi-Fi to send push notifications to your smartphone or tablet. Its video doorbells operate on battery power and use Wi-Fi to alert you when someone presses the button or when they detect motion, and its contact sensors send instant mobile alerts when doors or windows open on your property. You can pair these sensors with an Alexa device and hub to add voice control capability. The sensors are also compatible with iOS and Android devices.

Most connection processes for Ring products take place through the Neighbors app, which is available for Apple, Android and Windows 10 devices. With the Neighbors app, you can stream video and communicate through two-way audio with anyone on your doorstep. You can also control a few home automation functions from the app, including smart lights and locks.

Ring equipment and security accessories

The Ring alarm home security kit comes with a base station, motion detector, contact sensor, keypad and range extender. Once you have the alarm base kit, you can customize your home protection with video doorbells, surveillance cameras, alarm contact sensors and other Ring security products.

Ring products

How much does Ring cost?

Upfront costs for Ring equipment range $60 to $1,010. Ring Protect plans cost between $0 and $10 per month. All Ring plans — Free, Basic and Plus —  include motion notifications, real-time video streaming, two-way talk features and lifetime theft protection.

The company only charges monthly subscription fees if you want video saving and sharing or a professional Ring monitoring plan.

Ring alarm kits start between $200 and $300. Total costs are higher if you customize the system with more cameras and smart accessories. Those who qualify can take up to 12 months to pay without interest.

All packages come with access to the Ring app and the option for professional monitoring for an extra $10 per month. Some of the best-selling Ring kits are:

• 5-Piece Security Kit: For $199.99, this base kit comes with a base station, keypad, contact sensor, motion detector and range extender.
    • 8-Piece Security Kit: For $249.99, this package comes with everything in the base kit plus three extra contact sensors.
    • 10-Piece Security Kit: For $259.99, this package comes with everything in the base kit plus four extra contact sensors and an extra motion sensor.
    • 14-Piece Security Kit: For $329.99, this package comes with everything in the base kit plus one extra keypad, seven additional contact sensors and another motion detector.

Ring installation

Ring designed its security systems for easy installation. Once you unpack the equipment, all you have to do is sign up for the app and register your Ring Alarm Base Station. You then complete the setup by placing the sensors and motion detectors around your home or business.

You can install a Ring doorbell yourself. Simply mount the video doorbell in the desired location, and it will automatically connect to the Ring app via Wi-Fi.

If you opt for a Ring professional monitoring plan, you get a seven-day “practice mode” period to get to know your new system without triggering false alarms.

Ring security FAQ

Is there a monthly fee for Ring?

Sometimes. Ring only requires monthly subscription fees if you want premium features or professional monitoring. These plans cost between $3 and $10 per month.

Does Ring require a subscription?

No, Ring only requires a subscription if you want optional features or professional monitoring services. You can monitor your Ring home security system in real time through your phone for free.

How long does a Ring battery last?

The Ring video doorbell battery lasts between six months and a year, but the battery may run out more quickly in colder climates.

The battery life of other Ring devices depends on their usage.

• Ring Base Station: Internal rechargeable battery with up to 24 hours of backup
    • Ring Contact Sensor: 3-volt lithium battery; lasts up to three years
    • Ring Alarm Keypad: Internal rechargeable battery; lasts up to seven months
    • Ring Alarm Motion Detector: 3-volt lithium battery; lasts up to three years
    • Ring Alarm Range Extender: Internal rechargeable battery with up to 22 hours of backup
    • Ring Panic Button: 3-volt lithium battery; lasts up to three years
    Are Ring doorbells waterproof?

Ring doorbells are resistant to rain and freezing temperatures. However, you should not submerge them in water.

Can you have multiple Ring doorbells?

Yes, you can have multiple Ring doorbells on the same property.

Is Ring owned by Amazon?

Yes, Amazon acquired Ring in 2018. Ring works with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa and Apple HomeKit. Alexa has the most thorough integration of the three.

Is Ring worth it?

Ring is a smart option for homeowners, business owners and renters who want to monitor their property from their phones. Ring video doorbells come equipped with infrared night vision, automatic motion detection and recording capabilities.

Professional monitoring plans are optional, and there are a variety of Ring alarm accessories that make it easy to customize your protection level. With professional monitoring, Ring calls your local police department if the system detects a security threat.

For more, compare how Ring stacks up against other popular DIY options:

Ring Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ring?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

I have been a long time, early on customer and supporter of Ring ever since I saw Jamie on the Shark Tank. My problem is with both customer service and the product. For the most part the cameras and doorbell work as they should until they don't, enter customer service. The doorbell I purchased early on went out after 2 years, I contacted customer service. Got an American on the phone (back in the good old days before Amazon took over and outsourced). They not only sent me a replacement.They sent me an upgraded Ring doorbell, it is still going strong, happy customer. Now my current issue is with a spotlight camera, this camera is installed our vacation home a distance away. We purchased to keep an eye on our property. We had 2 neighbors alert us that the camera had a loud buzzing noise, we had to drive a distance to see what was going on.

Unplugged the unit immediately to stop the noise. Went through tech support 10/23/22 and they said they would send a new unit. 2 weeks passed. Nothing, another 2 weeks. Nothing, be patient... It's backordered. Now we're 3 months out. Same thing. I think this is unreasonable. I come to find out through my own research that my unit has been replaced with an newer 2022 model, if my unit is completely outdated and continually out of stock the right thing to do IMO is send the upgraded model ASAP. I am on the protection plan.

I asked customer service if they could send the upgraded model, yes for an extra $50.00 (I don't see that there has been a price increase since I last purchased so why $50?). ALSO the upgraded unit would arrive in 1-2 weeks (sound familar, I've heard this before). Why so long, I've been waiting 3 months for a replacement already, get on it. I said, "I can order a new model on Amazon and get it here in 5 days, so why 1-2 weeks?"

I feel uneasy having them charge my credit card and come to find the new unit is also back-ordered. I need a Black unit which seems inclined to not be in stock versus the white unit. The customer service person asked where I purchased the unit, RING.COM, what difference does that make, it's a RING product, I am contacting your customer service to make this right. Just so frustrating, I am now in limbo waiting on RING to deliver, not counting on them to come through anytime soon.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

Someone hacked into my cameras this week - BEWARE!!! Someone hacked into my cameras at around 1:40am Tuesday night, hoping to get a show. Then, he hacked into the 2-way speaker the following night at roughly the same time. That time he spoke to me in a whisper (the entire time). He called me by my full name. He said he was coming over. And I question how much information he has since he knows my full name. This was very creepy, and scary. I am not happy with the way Ring is “handling” the matter.

This device is marketed to the public as a security device that is vulnerable to hackers and criminal activity, thus stripping Ring customers of any security they intended to gain from purchasing such a phony piece of equipment in the first place. Ring cameras are weaponized against its customers through terrorists who are not held accountable because Amazon refuses to be accountable to its consumers. Shame on Amazon, shame on Ring, shame on Bezos.

If you insist on continuing to use this piece of garbage make sure you have a firewall, VPN, 2-step authentication, reset your Ring password frequently, reset your Amazon password frequently, set up 2 step sign in for your Amazon as well, and reset your WiFi password and WiFi name (don’t keep the generic name and password it came with). Ring is a joke. Get a real security system. Stop giving your money to a “security” company that isn’t going respond swiftly in a matter where safety is concerned. This was a complete invasion of my privacy. A trespass.

Peeping Tom and loitering is a criminal activity. In the state of California you need two consenting parties to a recording. When Amazon is not actively/proactively preventing this from happening on their Ring platform then Amazon is a willing participant in the crime that is committed against its consumers. Amazon is part of the problem and misleading the public. Of course I tried notifying my Ring Neighbors, and Ring denied me the ability to warn my community. Something is wrong when the producer won’t let others read your review about their product.

Apparently, I can only post about lost dogs or stolen Amazon packages on the Ring community. I am not able to post about a real crime that was committed against me, in my home home, with the Ring product. I’ll say it again, Ring is a joke. Peeping Tom and loitering is a criminal activity. In the state of California you need two consenting parties to a recording. When Amazon is not actively/proactively preventing this from happening on their Ring platform then Amazon is a willing participant in the crime that is committed against its consumers. Amazon is part of the problem and misleading the public.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2022

I purchased the floodlights and have 4. When I started my subscription plan it was 30$ per device. I had to leave a card in file! Well last year they took out more than subscription fee and they flat out said that yes it was a mistake but that I would have credit for next year but I said no I want difference refunded back to my card. She said they can’t do that. It is very frustrating because they don’t speak proper English and keep repeating the same thing (miss but you have credit for next year) like it’s a good thing. So I had a 42$ credit because they’re not refunding the difference.

This year I went to bank and canceled that card because I knew I would be dealing with this unprofessional business practice again. Sure enough I received an email from Ring saying that my payment method is not going through for the amount of 173.00!!! I m so happy I canceled that card! When I called Ring it was the same headache.

First the language barrier and then the poor customer service. I asked about my 42$ credit from last year because they weren’t applying it and then I was told that subscription plan prices had been raised (without any prior notification). Finally got him to accept the 30$ per device price and apply my credit but that I still had to pay the 173.00 and that I would have credit for next year I said NO! We went back and forth and he said, "Sorry if you don’t pay service will expire in three days."

Being bilingual I called back and asked for a Hispanic agent and I explained what a frustrating experience with customer service and why I cancelled my card. He was professional, applied my credit and gave me the pro plan which allows as many devices you want for 100$ plus tax. I said, "Great but you're not taking 173.00 and giving credit." He said no. Unfortunately when you sign on for a plan you authorize any fees they want without prior notice or price changes. I paid the new subscription and canceled card again.

Yes the customer service is horrible and them not being able to understand what they’re saying is a downgrade for Ring. But my floodlights work great I bought them directly from Best Buy’s with protection plan. Several neighbors have been hit with catalytic converters stolen and the strong brightness of light keeps them away. Great product. Poor customer service.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2022

For whatever reason I've been harassed by the so called "Ring monitors" on the neighbor's page every time I've tried to post. Every time my posts are not offensive nor any different from others. I've called and spoken to a representative yet get no answers. It's very weird. I would not buy a.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2022

I purchased the Ring outdoor spotlight cameras (2) brand new from Amazon. I paid a full year subscription for Ring services. I had a software malfunction within 2 months. Amazon would not refund because it was past 30 days. I contacted Ring, who assured me the cameras were covered for one year. Upon receiving supposedly "new" cameras, neither battery compartments would close. I spoke with the supervisor Ken who stated they were new cameras and I would have to provide proof that the cameras were not new. At the bottom of the box it stated "refurbished."

Ken, the supervisor then stated that since I purchased my Ring cameras from Amazon I would not be entitled to new cameras. I kept complaining and Ken then stated they would be sending me type "A" cameras and I would be receiving them within 7 days. The cameras never arrived. I contacted Ring again, and found out that they are out of stock, and to call back within one week. I called tonight and still not in stock. They gave me a $20 credit towards a new camera. WHY would I buy another set of cameras from them? They haven't refunded my yearly payment for subscription either. HORRIBLE service, HORRIBLE devices.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2022

I called Ring Customer Service, 10/5/22. Waited on the phone for 45 minutes. I wanted change the Ring doorbell to my name, cause my husband passed away in December. I told the lady on the phone he passed away, and she had the nerve to ask me if she could talk to him to get his verbal consent. I told him he passed away and then she said, "Oh, well do you have the death certificate," I told her yes, she then said, "Do you have a letter that is notarized," I said, "Why do you need that.." Then she said there is nothing they can do to change it to my name.

I pay the bill every month. I asked her to take my bank account off and I would stop paying for it. She said she cannot do that. I said, "Why?" She said because she needs all this information sent to them before they can do it.. So long story short, it is a waste of 200.00 for the camera that I cannot put in my name or take with me when I move into my new house. Waste of money for sure.. Getting a different one when I move.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

I have had Ring cameras now for a couple of years and as of the last few weeks they are not working when the sun goes down and for most people that is when you want them to work. I have been on the phone with them several times and the only resolution I can get is, call us back when you are with the cameras and it is dark outside. Mind you we have done this already last Thursday from 9pm to about 11 pm. I have a protection plan with them and it seems to not do anything for me. So I am working 12+ hour days, I get in my truck this morning at 5 am and I noticed the camera not working again, I go out back and that one is also not working, I call RING and the lady told me that the people from the advanced technical department will not assist me unless I am home and it is dark out even though the last few weeks they no exactly what is going on with the cameras.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

The doorbell and cams all work beautifully as advertised. However, the incessant up selling and advertising is a joke and very annoying. It happens even with a paid annual subscription to save video recordings. Shameless up selling. Had I know about this in advance, I would have looked at another product like Arlo. The Ring products are good but so are other brands. I won’t buy more products, but rather use the doorbell and cam I have purchased for now, and look at another company when I do decide to replace the entire home security system. The advertising is annoying enough that I’m only giving them 2 stars.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

I have contacted Ring multiple times and the customer service I have received has been bad and very rude. The round plastic clear protective cover in front of the camera fell off of my flood light cam and I am just getting very rude ring staff

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

Bought the Ring pro to replace my ring II. On the phone for 1 plus hours with tech support trying to get the pro to connect. Then I was told to send it back they would replace it. Same issue with replacement Pro! I sent the Pro back for a refund and purchased another ring II.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Home Security partner.

Ring Company Information