Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.75/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Ring provides home security devices, including video doorbells, security cameras and smart lighting. Its equipment is easy to install, and its plans are available with or without monitoring.

BOTTOM LINE

Ring is a smart home security option for those who want to monitor their homes remotely. Additional Ring security products can get pricey, but customers like not having to sign a long-term contract.

PROS

• High-quality video surveillance
    • No long-term contracts
    • DIY installation
    • Optional monitoring plans

CONS

• Few home automation features
    • Expensive accessories

Top Ring Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ring?

I love the ease of use and installation. Some of the extras are a little pricey like security cameras. The initial kit and the ring alarm are fairly reasonable. I love that there is no contract and monitoring is only $10 a month. I feel much safer.

I really like Ring for the customer service plus for the service cost is really good. On top of all that if someone steals your equipment Ring will replace it at no cost. Really simple to use and reliable. ... I really like them.

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

What is Ring?

Ring is a DIY security system that helps you protect your house, apartment or commercial business property. Ring’s video doorbells let you see and communicate with people on your doorstep from your phone, tablet or compatible Amazon Echo device. Its 1080p, high-definition cameras have a 160-degree horizontal field of view and a 90-degree vertical field of view.

Through Ring’s Neighbors app, customers also get real-time safety alerts from their local law enforcement, homeowners associations and community groups. Ring is compatible with most Dome Sirens, Ecolink sensors, First Alert alarms, GE and Leviton lights and smart locks from Schlage, Yale and Kwikset.

How does Ring work?

Ring security systems require Wi-Fi to send push notifications to your smartphone or tablet. Ring video doorbells operate on battery power and use Wi-Fi to alert you when someone presses the button or there it detects motion. Ring alarm contact sensors send instant mobile alerts when doors or windows open on your property. You can pair these sensors with an Alexa device and hub to add voice control to these sensors. The sensors are also compatible with iOS and Android devices.

Most connection processes for Ring products take place through the Neighbors app, which is available for Apple, Android and Windows 10 devices. With the Neighbors app, you can stream video and communicate through two-way audio with whoever’s on your doorstep. You can also control a few home automation functions from the app, including smart lights and locks.

Ring equipment and security accessories

The Ring alarm home security kit comes with a base station, motion detector, contact sensor, keypad and range extender. Once you have the alarm base kit, you can customize your home protection with video doorbells, surveillance cameras, alarm contact sensors and other Ring security products.

ring alarm 5 piece kit
      Ring Alarm 5-piece kit
      • DIY installation
      • Optional monitoring plans
      • $199 at time of publishing

ring video doorbell 2
      Ring Video Doorbell 2
      • Five-minute installation
      • Includes a quick-release rechargeable battery pack
      • $169 at time of publishing

ring spotlight cam
      Ring Spotlight Cam
      • Built-in two-way talk
      • Includes a rechargeable battery pack
      • $199 at time of publishing

ring chime
      Ring Chime
      • Connects to existing Ring devices
      • Plugs into standard outlets
      • $29.99 at time of publishing

SHOP ON AMAZON
      ring alarm contact sensor pack
      Ring Alarm Contact Sensor Pack
      • Mounts to door/window frames
      • Includes a 3-volt lithium battery
      • $39.99 at time of publishing

How much does Ring cost?

Ring Protect Plans cost between $0 and $30 per month. All Ring plans — Free, Basic and Plus —  include motion-activation notifications, real-time video streaming, two-way talk features and lifetime theft protection. The company only charges monthly subscription fees if you want video saving and sharing features or a professional Ring monitoring plan.

• Ring Protect Basic costs $3 per month or $30 per year and comes with video saving and sharing features. This plan comes with coverage for one doorbell or security camera.
      • Ring Protect Plus costs $10 per month or $100 per year and includes 24/7 professional monitoring, extended warranties for all devices and 10% off select accessories. This plan covers all devices at one address.
      Ring Protect FreeRing Protect BasicRing Protect Plus
      Ring Protect Free$0One year
      Ring Protect Basic$3One year
      Ring Protect Plus $10Extended

Ring installation

Ring designed its security systems for easy installation. Once you unpack the equipment, all you have to do is sign up for the app and register your Ring Alarm base station. You then complete the setup by placing the sensors and motion detectors around your home or business.

You can install a Ring doorbell installation. Simply mount the video doorbell in the desired location, and it automatically connects to the Ring app via Wi-Fi.

If you opt for a Ring professional monitoring plan, you get a seven-day “practice mode” period to get to know your new system without triggering false alarms.

Ring security FAQ

How much does Ring cost?
      Ring equipment costs about $200 for the basic kit, but the price increases if you purchase optional accessories and upgrades available. Ring security plans with premium features or monitoring cost between $3 and $10 each month.
      Is there a monthly fee for Ring?
      Sometimes. Ring only requires monthly subscription fees if you want premium features or professional monitoring. These plans cost between $3 and $10 per month.
      What is Ring Alarm professional monitoring?
      Ring Alarm professional monitoring is a service that alerts local authorities when your security system detects a threat. The Ring monitoring center employs a team of emergency response technicians to oversee all Ring alarms around the clock.
      How long does a Ring battery last?
      The Ring video doorbell battery lasts between six months and a year, but the battery may run out quicker in colder climates.

Other Ring devices’ battery lives depend on their usage.

• Ring Base Station: Internal rechargeable battery with up to 24 hours of backup
      • Ring Contact Sensor: 3-volt lithium battery that lasts up three years
      • Ring Alarm Keypad: Internal rechargeable battery that lasts up to seven months
      • Ring Alarm Motion Detector: 3-volt lithium battery that lasts up to three years
      • Ring Alarm Range Extender: Internal rechargeable battery with up to 22 hours of backup
      • Ring Panic Button: 3-volt lithium battery that lasts up to three years
      Does Ring work with Google Home or Alexa?
      Yes, Ring works with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa and Apple HomeKit.
      Are Ring doorbells waterproof?
      Ring doorbells are resistant to rain and freezing temperatures. However, you should not submerge them in water.
      Can you have multiple Ring doorbells?
      Yes, you can have multiple Ring doorbells on the same property.
      Does Ring require a subscription?
      No, Ring only requires a subscription if you want optional features or professional monitoring services. You can monitor your Ring home security system through your phone for free.
      Does a Ring Alarm call the police?
      Yes, Ring Alarm professional monitoring centers call your local police department if the system detects a security threat.
      What is Ring’s refund policy?
      Ring provides a full refund if you return devices within 30 days of purchase.
      Is Ring owned by Amazon?
      Yes. Amazon acquired Ring in 2018.

Is Ring worth it?

Ring is a smart option for homeowners, business owners and renters who want to monitor their property from their phones. Ring video doorbells come equipped with infrared night vision, automatic motion detection and recording capabilities. Professional monitoring plans are optional, and there are a variety of Ring alarm accessories that make it easy to customize your protection level.

Ring Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ring?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Two of my security cameras both broke around the same time. Not my fault, just completely stopped working. After troubleshooting they asked for me to send both cameras in and I would get replacements. Only one replacement came. I called to get second replacement to which they said it’ll be shipped. And I come to find out they did not ship. So I paid for a whole system which is unreliable to begin with and I don’t even have all the equipment I originally purchased as I sent it back in. Impossible to get good customer service or someone who can help.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

I called in to change the credit card number used to pay for my monthly subscription fee. After spending over 45 minutes on the phone with them I still wasn't able to get it done. Two years ago I received the Ring doorbell as a gift from my son. When he installed it he used his email address to set up my Ring account. My email was listed as a secondary. About a year ago he was having problems with his email account so he switched services, no longer having access to his old email account. When speaking with Ring customer service they insisted on sending some verification code to the email address which was listed as the primary address on the account. This was my son's old email address. No longer having access to this email account Ring customer service claimed they couldn't verify me. This despite that my email address was listed on the account but as a secondary address. I got no where!

Three weeks later I needed to call in to register my device again because my internet provider install a new router in my home. I called customer service again and after spending another 50 minutes on the phone I didn't get past step 1 of verifying my account. Almost a combined two hours of my time wasted on the phone with them and nothing was ever done on either call. I immediately cancelled my service and went out and bought one of their competitors video doorbell devices. Over $300 worth of Ring devices were purchased and now I'm out the money and stuck with their devices that can't be used. I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
        Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

Ring might have a very good easy to install alarm system but their customer service is the worst I have come across in this time when technology is so advanced. If you cancel some as simple as an order before it was even shipped be prepared for the inadequate and totally inefficient service you will ever receive from a company. Took approximately 10 phone calls and I have to still wait for my refund. I am hoping their alarm systems does not have the same inadequacies. Very poor!!

Original review: April 8, 2020

I have Blink Cameras surrounding the outside of my home. Thought it would be smart to add doorbell camera. My go to Online store Amazon, order the Classic Ring receive a few days later. That day I spent hours trying to figure out how it works, watch YouTube videos, not working. The next day I was at it again. Called customer support multiple times, finally spoke to a young woman with a deep accent, I asked her to speak slowly so I could try to understand her. She suggested a few things, not working. Ask to speak to supervisor, "No they are all unavailable & would do the same troubleshooting." Kept trying called again, spoke to very professional man, no luck.

2 nights later my Jeep was broken into right in front of my home, Blink showed 2 individuals at 2:52 am. Stole everything except my trash bag. Received an auto generated email from Ring this morning. Scoured the site. Only found a physical address to utilize USPS, Email contact info stated not accepting emails. So here I am again, nothing. Clicked Facebook icon. I sent a message. Ring reached out to me via Messenger. I explained the above. The person from Ring kept messaging me with all these excuses of why Ring is not working... Now they are stating it is a problem with Amazo.n I requested an email address (from Ring) to share this complaint.... No! But you can give me your personal information...WOW!

Original review: July 30, 2019

I love the ease of use and installation. Some of the extras are a little pricey like security cameras. The initial kit and the ring alarm are fairly reasonable. I love that there is no contract and monitoring is only $10 a month. I feel much safer having and using Ring.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I really like "Ring" for the customer service plus for the service cost is really good. On top of all that if someone steal your equipment Ring will replace it at "no cost". Really simple to use and reliable. Call you if alarm goes off and if no answer "Ring" will call the police. Ring work partner with "Wink". I really like them. Customer service phone number is mark everywhere on instructions pamphlets on app. Not hidden on the web like "D-Link". D-Link should learn from them. D-Link just like your money.

Ps: I really learn something from all that. If you can't see the customer service phone number on your device or instructions book don't buy it. Before I add "D-Link" sensor/ Camera tell you something. D-Link has really rude customer service and equipment not reliable. Really slow. Most of the product they make is discontinue. Really disappointed in D-Link security service.

Original review: July 17, 2019

The Ring overall is good. The only thing that is not good is the sensors on the wireless cameras. It’s not good at detecting motion well enough. It’s gives a great view on doorbell and spotlight cam. Able to speak and sound siren on the cameras. The price is a little high for the wireless I think.

Original review: July 16, 2019

As of yet I haven't had any problems. It sends an alarm to my phone and records whenever anyone is on my porch or in my yard. And it saves all recordings and I can also share any suspicious information with my neighbors.

Ring author review by Ben Mannes

Ring offers self-installed home security systems with or without monitoring fees. Choose from a variety of standalone security and monitoring products. Security System Kits start at $199.99.

• Security equipment: Ring offers a range of home security devices, including wired and battery-operated home security cameras, contact sensors, motion detectors, smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, flood and freeze sensors, sirens, floodlights, spotlights and video doorbell cameras.

• Security features: Two-way communication and live, on-demand video are available with all Ring devices at no additional cost. Motion alerts, two-way communication and live video can be managed on your mobile device and accessed from multiple phones, tablets and PCs.

• Monitoring services: For an extra $10 a month, Ring offers professional monitoring under their “Protect Plus Plan.” A monitoring plan is not required to use Ring products. Users can also upgrade their video recording plan to include save, share and storage capabilities for an additional $3 monthly fee.

• Installation: Ring alarm systems are designed for simple DIY installation.

• Trial period: Ring accepts returns within 30 days for any reason.

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Ring Company Information