3.6/5 (89 ratings)

About Ring

Ring’s home security devices include its popular video doorbell system, security cameras and smart lighting. Its equipment is easy to install, and its plans are available with or without monitoring. All products work with Alexa-enabled devices, but that’s the extent of its smart-home automation features. While the products are fairly affordable, the additional accessories and DIY monitoring may be expensive for some.

Find Home Alarm and Security Systems partners near you

Pros

• High-quality video surveillance
    • No long-term contracts
    • DIY installation
    • Optional monitoring plans

Cons

• Few home automation features
    • Expensive accessories

Bottom Line

Ring is a solid security system for those who want to monitor their homes remotely. Additional Ring security products can get pricey, but customers enjoy not having to sign a long-term contract.

Top Ring Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The overall security system is great because it allows you the ability to connect between different devices. I am able to connect my outdoor floodlight camera with the Ring mobile...

Verified

The Ring system was very easy to set up. I installed three ring floodlights, a doorbell and a chime pro. I can view all sides of my house and the doorbell notifies me, even if the...

What is Ring?

Ring is a DIY security system that helps you protect your house, apartment or commercial business property. Ring’s video doorbells let you see and communicate with people on your doorstep from your phone, tablet or compatible Amazon Echo device. Its 1080p, high-definition outdoor spotlight cameras have a 140-degree horizontal field of view and a 78-degree vertical field of view.

Through Ring’s Neighbors app, customers also get real-time safety alerts from their local law enforcement, homeowners associations and community groups. Ring is compatible with most Dome Sirens, Ecolink sensors, First Alert alarms, GE and Leviton lights and smart locks from Schlage, Yale and Kwikset.

How does Ring work?

Ring security systems require Wi-Fi to send push notifications to your smartphone or tablet. Its video doorbells operate on battery power and use Wi-Fi to alert you when someone presses the button or when they detect motion, and its contact sensors send instant mobile alerts when doors or windows open on your property. You can pair these sensors with an Alexa device and hub to add voice control capability. The sensors are also compatible with iOS and Android devices.

Most connection processes for Ring products take place through the Neighbors app, which is available for Apple, Android and Windows 10 devices. With the Neighbors app, you can stream video and communicate through two-way audio with anyone on your doorstep. You can also control a few home automation functions from the app, including smart lights and locks.

Ring equipment and security accessories

The Ring alarm home security kit comes with a base station, motion detector, contact sensor, keypad and range extender. Once you have the alarm base kit, you can customize your home protection with video doorbells, surveillance cameras, alarm contact sensors and other Ring security products.

Ring products

How much does Ring cost?

Upfront costs for Ring equipment range $60 to $1,010. Ring Protect plans cost between $0 and $10 per month. All Ring plans — Free, Basic and Plus —  include motion notifications, real-time video streaming, two-way talk features and lifetime theft protection.

The company only charges monthly subscription fees if you want video saving and sharing or a professional Ring monitoring plan.

Ring alarm kits start between $200 and $300. Total costs are higher if you customize the system with more cameras and smart accessories. Those who qualify can take up to 12 months to pay without interest.

All packages come with access to the Ring app and the option for professional monitoring for an extra $10 per month. Some of the best-selling Ring kits are:

• 5-Piece Security Kit: For $199.99, this base kit comes with a base station, keypad, contact sensor, motion detector and range extender.
    • 8-Piece Security Kit: For $249.99, this package comes with everything in the base kit plus three extra contact sensors.
    • 10-Piece Security Kit: For $259.99, this package comes with everything in the base kit plus four extra contact sensors and an extra motion sensor.
    • 14-Piece Security Kit: For $329.99, this package comes with everything in the base kit plus one extra keypad, seven additional contact sensors and another motion detector.

Ring installation

Ring designed its security systems for easy installation. Once you unpack the equipment, all you have to do is sign up for the app and register your Ring Alarm Base Station. You then complete the setup by placing the sensors and motion detectors around your home or business.

You can install a Ring doorbell yourself. Simply mount the video doorbell in the desired location, and it will automatically connect to the Ring app via Wi-Fi.

If you opt for a Ring professional monitoring plan, you get a seven-day “practice mode” period to get to know your new system without triggering false alarms.

Ring security FAQ

Is there a monthly fee for Ring?

Sometimes. Ring only requires monthly subscription fees if you want premium features or professional monitoring. These plans cost between $3 and $10 per month.

Does Ring require a subscription?

No, Ring only requires a subscription if you want optional features or professional monitoring services. You can monitor your Ring home security system in real time through your phone for free.

How long does a Ring battery last?

The Ring video doorbell battery lasts between six months and a year, but the battery may run out more quickly in colder climates.

The battery life of other Ring devices depends on their usage.

• Ring Base Station: Internal rechargeable battery with up to 24 hours of backup
    • Ring Contact Sensor: 3-volt lithium battery; lasts up to three years
    • Ring Alarm Keypad: Internal rechargeable battery; lasts up to seven months
    • Ring Alarm Motion Detector: 3-volt lithium battery; lasts up to three years
    • Ring Alarm Range Extender: Internal rechargeable battery with up to 22 hours of backup
    • Ring Panic Button: 3-volt lithium battery; lasts up to three years
    Are Ring doorbells waterproof?

Ring doorbells are resistant to rain and freezing temperatures. However, you should not submerge them in water.

Can you have multiple Ring doorbells?

Yes, you can have multiple Ring doorbells on the same property.

Is Ring owned by Amazon?

Yes, Amazon acquired Ring in 2018. Ring works with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa and Apple HomeKit. Alexa has the most thorough integration of the three.

Is Ring worth it?

Ring is a smart option for homeowners, business owners and renters who want to monitor their property from their phones. Ring video doorbells come equipped with infrared night vision, automatic motion detection and recording capabilities.

Professional monitoring plans are optional, and there are a variety of Ring alarm accessories that make it easy to customize your protection level. With professional monitoring, Ring calls your local police department if the system detects a security threat.

For more, compare how Ring stacks up against other popular DIY options:

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ring?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

I have had Ring cameras now for a couple of years and as of the last few weeks they are not working when the sun goes down and for most people that is when you want them to work. I have been on the phone with them several times and the only resolution I can get is, call us back when you are with the cameras and it is dark outside. Mind you we have done this already last Thursday from 9pm to about 11 pm. I have a protection plan with them and it seems to not do anything for me. So I am working 12+ hour days, I get in my truck this morning at 5 am and I noticed the camera not working again, I go out back and that one is also not working, I call RING and the lady told me that the people from the advanced technical department will not assist me unless I am home and it is dark out even though the last few weeks they no exactly what is going on with the cameras.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

The doorbell and cams all work beautifully as advertised. However, the incessant up selling and advertising is a joke and very annoying. It happens even with a paid annual subscription to save video recordings. Shameless up selling. Had I know about this in advance, I would have looked at another product like Arlo. The Ring products are good but so are other brands. I won’t buy more products, but rather use the doorbell and cam I have purchased for now, and look at another company when I do decide to replace the entire home security system. The advertising is annoying enough that I’m only giving them 2 stars.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

I have contacted Ring multiple times and the customer service I have received has been bad and very rude. The round plastic clear protective cover in front of the camera fell off of my flood light cam and I am just getting very rude ring staff

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

Bought the Ring pro to replace my ring II. On the phone for 1 plus hours with tech support trying to get the pro to connect. Then I was told to send it back they would replace it. Same issue with replacement Pro! I sent the Pro back for a refund and purchased another ring II.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

I’ve had six different Ring cameras in and around my home for 5 years and think they do a pretty good job. Yesterday I ordered a 14pc wireless system, this morning I looked and the system was $100 less than yesterday.. yet had not been shipped? I called and the Representative was almost impossible to understand and after 40 minutes of which 15 I was put on hold 10 times she could not give me an answer on how to resolve my issue or hand me off to someone who could. I was curious why a company that seemed to have a decent product could be so unconcerned with their customer service?

Original review: July 27, 2022

I purchased the Ring doorbell which is powered to my electrical outlet. It works and then it goes offline. Customer service is terrible group of people who needs to be retrained and are personnel who think customers don't know what a transformer is. It's the only thing connected to your device and you plug it in. But every time it goes off, some crazy person from customer service is giving me a lecture on what this plug in transformer look like. One idiot sent me a confirmation email with a code to verify my identity and then asked me to take a photo of the plug in transformer so she could see it.

First there is no point sending a pic which doesn't resolve issue. I did it anyways so she could stop being ignorant. I asked what email shall I send the pic to. She advised the same email that she sent me with confirmation code. Guess what? that is a noreply email and it got kicked back. When I advised her of that, she didn't know what to say. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she questioned me WHY DO I NEED TO SPEAK TO A SUPERVISOR. What a pathetic company with unprofessionals. After putting me on hold, the customer service agent Shanice stated there was NO SUPERVISOR available. She refused to give me her employee ID or anything to verify her except a first name of Shanice.

This has happened several times as the ring system goes offline and you are away from home with NO MONITORING. Guess what, miraculously a few days later it comes back on with me DOING NOTHING. So that tells me that it is their service or feed which is not working and it starts working again. They can't service all the connections they provide but when I call, they would say maybe my wifi is not strong or maybe my power outlet is not producing enough power. It's nonsense.

I am switching to Google Nest which has much better reviews and more options. Ring is horrible and the service goes off, leaving your house unprotected while you are not home. I have had this service for many months and it was working fine until recently when the service gets interrupted for days.

Original review: July 23, 2022

There are so many things wrong with this entire system. First of all, when you really need to review the recordings because of an incident, it skips important parts so you don't actually see what happened. We have had people break in, we have had people steal things, and even when I used this for my school I tried to see who accidentally grabbed the stuffed animal and it recorded everything but the actual person who took the stuffed animal we needed!

It recorded the back of someone when they were breaking in but God forbid they actually get the front of the person's face when they were leaving with all our stuff so we have no way to identify the thief so they can be caught. What good is Ring in this situation? It is constantly skipping incredibly important content which makes the whole purpose for having a Ring system imperative! Why should I have a video system and pay a ton of money to make sure that I can save recordings if the recordings aren't even saving everything that I need!?!

If that isn't enough, we, God forbid, changed our internet Wi-Fi password and unbelievably I have to get up on a huge ladder to get on my roof and scan the back of the Ring camera in order to reset it? You have literally got to be freaking kidding me! I can't reset it from my computer, I cannot reset it from my phone, and even if I could reset it from my phone I still have to go scan the back of the stupid camera! If Ring really thought about their customers they would think about women like me who are older, unstable on these tall ladders, and on top of that afraid of heights, having to get up there with my stupid phone and scanning this tiny little code on a phone just to get it to reset! It is literally the most unbelievable lack of forethought I have ever seen from a company.

To top it all off I'm trying to call Ring support and the guy's accent is so hard to understand I had to spend an hour and a half on the phone with this guy and at the end of the day? It did nothing and we no longer have video footage because I'm not going to get on that freaking ladder 8 TIMES and scan that tiny code on the back of 8 different cameras so I am leaving Ring and I want my money back and I'm going to throw these stupid pieces of crap in the trash WHERE THEY BELONG! GARBAGE!

Original review: July 17, 2022

I had Ring for over a year in California Ontario, no problem, then I moved to Nevada, Las Vegas and then it has been impossible to reconnect to the monitoring service. I called 3-4 times the customer service and they told me only what I could see on the portal. Some message saying that the monitoring would be activated within a week. After 4 months of this run around story I finally gave up on Ring, it no longer works for me.

Original review: June 22, 2022

I bought this floodlight cam for security on the front of my house. I have a motion sensing floodlight this would replace on the horizontal roof overhang. The website states that the Floodlight Cam can be mounted to a ceiling (horizontally mounted). However when mounted horizontally the camera will only swivel out to 45 degrees from vertical and will only view about 5 feet out which makes it unusable! I called Ring to see if there was anything available, like the wedge mount they offer for doorbells, but there isn't. I'm sending it back since it's useless to me in this condition.

Original review: June 22, 2022

I have only had my RING doorbell for 2 years and now being told I have to buy a new one. The motion camera only picks up cars and not people, including people on my porch! After obvious troubleshooting (re-installing the app, restarting the RING doorbell itself and charging battery) I’m being told I need purchase a new device as this one is faulty. Again, it’s only 2 years old!!

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Home Security partner.

Ring Company Information