1.40/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1988, Protection 1 continues to grow and become a leader in the full service security industry. We strive to provide services to residential, commercial and national customers. We will customize your security system to fit your specific home or business needs.

Our 24/7 professional monitoring centers will be there to ensure your safety. Protection 1 guarantees when you call for help, you will speak with a real person. Keep your family and business safe - call today!

Protection 1 Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

918 Protection 1 Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 12, 2019

I am very disappointed in this company. I moved into a rent house in Oklahoma in August 2017. My rental agreement was for 21 months. The house already had the system in it and I was told I could take over the contract for the duration of my lease then landlord could resume so I signed the paperwork. Fast forward to May 2019, I call to cancel and I was told that I had signed a 3 year contract. I had no idea this is the paperwork I was presented or I never would have signed it! I called I and was told that they would allow the landlord to take over the contract but when he called to arrange it, they said he would have to sign a new 3 year contract! So shady! If they had let him take over the contract, he probably would have continued it for as long as he owns the house and I would have considered using them when I get my own place in Texas. Now they’ve lost 2 customers and I will warn everyone I know not to use them!

Good Afternoon,

I apologize for your experience. I have left you a voicemail with my direct number to work towards a resolution. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Rhonda

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Well protection one has been a terrible mistake. I've wasted money on for the last eight years of my life. First 5 years were okay but then we moved.... Let's start with installation, the tech told me he could not place the equipment box in my basement because he didn't have access. So he puts in into my dining room closet and then puts keypad on the other side. I hear noises like drilling into metal but I assume he knows what he's doing and it was our new house so I wasn't familiar with duct work.

At the end of his appointment he tells me they could always come back and move the equipment.... Hello? Why not put it in basement from the start. I go to remodel the house and realize he drilled into my duct work. I wrote a email to company but no response. numerous times the alarm has gone off and I never received a phone call. Anyway 3 years into my contract after I moved I call in February to cancel customer service tells me that I will pay for the following months anyway and that I might as well use the service and to call back in May to cancel. I do so and customer service tells me to send the email, which I did right away and once I do that they will send my final bill for $36.

Weeks pass I get an email that I owe $463 for the whole year up until 2020. I call customer service. The woman says that she'll transfer me to account management. She sees I cancelled and can't understand why I'm getting this bill. Account Manager blatantly lies to me on the phone telling me they have a signed FOUR YEAR contract. I couldn't find my contract but I did later and guess what it's a 3 YEAR contract. I explained to her over and over about how when I called in February to cancel. The woman said I could do so for around $100. Now it's $463 and that when I did cancel I was told $36. Why would I cancel just if I had such a big balance? That's just stupid.. I would of just waited. They are a bunch of crooks and liars. I've never experience such bad customer service. Lying about a four year contract. They had me for eight years and now are trying to squeeze another year out of me?

Good Afternoon,

I am sorry to hear of your disappointing experience. I have left you a message with my direct number to work towards a resolution. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I have been a customer with Protection 1 for over 3 years now. About 2 months ago I have been having issues with my account. I already set up my account for automatic deductions to be taken out every month. However, I have been getting late notices that shouldn't be on my account. I received statements on 6/3/19 and 5/22/19 for past due accounts. I have checked my accounts and 45.48 has been taken out for the months of May and June. I know Protection 1 possibly has switched to a third party vendor to manage accounts. However, late notices shouldn't be applied to account when autodraft is already set up. This doesn't make any sense. You're simply charging customers late fees and then send a bill out after the due date. If the account has been set to autodraft, and then the customer shouldn't be charged late fees. Thank you, A paying customer Brian **

Hi,

I am sorry to hear of your experience. I was unable to contact you with the phone number provided. I have sent you an email with my direct phone number. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: June 11, 2019

We called ADT to get a security system prior to my fiance leaving for military training. The process was easy and smooth up until it arrived. To my dismay and without any forewarning, we received a Protection One package. Very confused we looked it up and saw that ADT was acquired. The equipment looked nothing like what was on the ADT website, it looks offbrand and the monitoring screen doesn't even look similar. We called ADT and asked to return it and get the equipment we thought we'd be receiving. They said they couldn't and would have to charge a restocking fee that was more than what we paid originally for the equipment.

I'm not understanding how this company thinks it's okay to promote and show products on the site, let people think that's what they are receiving then charging more money to send it back. If I wanted this specific equipment or Protection One for that matter, I wouldn't have gone to the ADT site. It would be one thing if I was told the equipment would be different and/or that a different brand would be shipped. (I get that they are one now but then why don't they show the equipment you actually receive on their website?) I would have preferred to just go buy Ring equipment or SimpliSafe as opposed to the old looking/trying to get rid of inventory equipment I received. Also stuck in a three year contract for something I didn't want unless I pay the restocking fee. Just money down the drain. Go somewhere else!

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience and apologize for not meeting your expectations. I have left you a voicemail with my direct number to work towards a resolution. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Original review: May 31, 2019

Protection 1 is the only service provider that has told me I must pay for the next 6 months service even though I’m moving. Three year contract is hard to imagine and really don’t recall that being highlighted when setting up system. You pay for all the equipment, upgrades, service calls and monitoring... It’s ridiculous to pay even after you move out. I will be sure to let the people in my 1000+ homes new neighborhood know on the community Facebook page to use any other service! ADT should reconsider having this be part of their product line. I used ADT for years prior to this and never had a negative comment to make. Protection 1 should be Protection None.

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for sharing your experience and taking the time to speak with me today. It was a pleasure resolving your concerns. Thank you and have a great day.

Rhonda

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protection 1?

Original review: May 31, 2019

Bought this system to monitor home temp in a newly purchased home in the UP of Michigan. I was assured it was a total plug and play system. This is not that, was assured 3 months ago a tech would install, as of today they say I’m 3 months in arrears and 895.00 to cancel service. Total rip off since 2017.

Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for taking time to speak with me today. I apologize for your experience with the DIY account. I look forward to working on your resolution. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns. Thank you and have a great day.

Rhonda

Original review: May 17, 2019

I have an older home not able to hook up door or window alarms. Called many times to cancel. They always tell me to try this or that. Paid monthly fee for over year and then stop paying. Now they are sending me to collections.

Good Morning,

I am sorry to hear of your experience. I have left you a voice mail message with my direct contact and look forwarding to hearing from you soon. Thank you for your time.

Rhonda

Original review: May 11, 2019

Protection 1 is by far one of the worst companies out there for customer service. I started their service at my home in Oklahoma and then moved to an apartment in Virginia that did not have an alarm system. I could not cancel without paying close to $1K, so I had to spend a few hundred on a wireless system that rarely works. I finally moved in to another house that was not pre-wired, but had to keep the useless wireless system. I have called technical support many times to change the label of sensors, to remove sensors from my system, and to remove weather alerts that keep waking my sleeping baby (I already get weather alerts on my phone).

Not once have any of these calls actually worked. Nothing is ever fixed. I even called to change my last name after a marriage and they refused to change my name because “it doesn't matter.” Not to mention when the alarm actually goes off on accident, the wireless system is so slow that I can casually walk up to the panel to turn it off, and the alarm company is never notified and I never get a call from them about the alarm going off. In a real emergency the alarm would be useless. So I have an alarm system that I never use because it’s just a hassle, but I still pay $42 a month.

When I called last month to cancel, prepared to just pay the rest of it off to get rid of it (contract was supposed to end in October), my contract suddenly went from 3 years to 3.5 years! This is just shady business practices all around. Three year contracts are ridiculous as it is, but to suddenly add 6 months to someone’s contract is unbelievable. I have never experienced this type of unprofessionalism before!

Hello,

I am so sorry to hear of your disappointing experience. I have had the opportunity to review the call when the DIY account was set up and review your account. I would love the opportunity to speak with you and have left you a voicemail with my contact information. Thank you so much for your time.

Rhonda

Original review: May 8, 2019

Protection 1 bought my former security company. I never agreed to switch to a new service and when my first bill arrived I immediately called to cancel my service. They kept me on the phone for at least 30 minutes trying to sell me their service before I eventually left the call stating I do not want the service. For three months I have continued to receive bills and calls stating I have an outstanding balance. They pester me daily. There is no one that can understand. I never wanted their service and never agreed to it. Incredibly poor customer service and it is still not resolved.

Good Afternoon,

I am disappointed to hear of your negative experience. I have had the opportunity to listen to the call in January to find out why your account wasn't canceled at that time. I have left you a voice mail with my direct line and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I moved into an apartment in March 2018. There was already an ADT panel setup in the apartment that just needed to be activated. I called ADT and was immediately transferred to Protection 1. They told me I would need brand new equipment and would have to sign a 3 year contract. Professional installation was not available, so I got a box in the mail and set up the sensors on my own. The sensors would not align properly because the door frame is raised a couple inches from the door. Even when the doors were closed, the alarm would go off randomly.

After 2 months of trying to fix and realign the sensors, I gave up and unplugged the system. It has now been over a year, and I still have to pay the $45/month charge for service I don't use. I called customer service to get options for cancelling. I spoke with the rudest lady who notified me in order to cancel my service I would have to pay an early termination fee over $700! It is easier to break a lease, terminate a phone contract, and get out of cable/internet service. I will never use Protection 1 again, and I am counting down the days until my contract is up.

Good Afternoon,

I wanted to reach out and make sure we have the opportunity to speak. I just left a message for you with my direct number. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Original review: May 1, 2019

When trying to end my service with Protection 1 last year I was told I had until April of 2019 until my contract was up and if I cancelled before that I would have to pay the cancellation fee of a little over $700. I decided to wait it out. I called today 4/30/2019 to cancel my service only to be told that my service did not end until April 2020 and I would need to pay the same amount as my cancellation fee.

Hi,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience you may have experienced. I have had the opportunity to listen to your call and would love the opportunity to speak with you. I left you a message with my direct line and hope to speak with you soon. Thank you.

Rhonda

Original review: April 30, 2019

After using Protection 1 for many years, at some point they changed to ADT without telling us, and our home alarm system stopped working. Our alarm system would still go off, but they called and told us that the monitoring wasn't working, so they sent a technician out to "fix" it. They didn't tell us we would have to pay for this service, but then charged us $170. On top of that, the entire system stopped working after the technician came out. The alarm no longer goes off, there's no monitoring--the thing is dead, and they didn't refund the repair fee.

Now they are charging us a cancellation fee to cancel something that has not worked in months, and are threatening to turn us over to collections if we don't pay for a service that has not been provided! When I've called to try to figure out what is going on, I've been amazed at how rude and incompetent their staff is, blaming me for all of this when they are the ones who merged companies without letting us know, which caused our system to break, then they charged me for a repair that made things worse. I am also reporting them to the Better Business Bureau. I advise everyone to stay far away from this dishonest, predatory company.

Good Morning,

I am so sorry you did not receive the information we sent regarding the Protection 1/ADT merger. I would love the opportunity to speak with you to resolve your concerns. I have left you a voicemail with my contact information and hope to speak soon. Thank you.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Just like the review below me, LIES, LIES, AND MORE LIES!!! This company is so dishonest and does not understand how to treat a paying customer. I’ve been with Protection 1 for 7 months and they sold me by ensuring the motion sensor would be compatible with my under 40lb dog. This turned out to not be true and eventually I tried to switch it upside down as they recommended and still would trigger the alarm falsely. I then came to the conclusion that I would only be able to rely upon the window sensors to secure my home while using “armed stay” which deactivated the motion sensor.

Last week I was broken into and due to my windows being slide up with two separate panes, the window sensors did not detect this break in which the motion sensor could’ve, but cannot be activated with my dog around. After calling ADT they recommended several solutions which also are not compatible with a dog present in the home. The only other option I have is to cancel service with this company and of course they give you the typical “oh you’ll have to pay 750$”.

In the end they false advertise their equipment to get you to sign up and from then on you’re just a monthly deposit which they know the average individual will lay over and pay. Hell of a way to run a business ADT/Protection 1!! Also, in the contract they outline no cancellation fee shall be charged if: “Your System generates excessive false alarms due to circumstances beyond our control.”. This system is generating excessive alarms based on the equipment not being compatible as it was promised with dogs under 40lbs. My solutions are the following two: 1) Continue to use the motion sensor and trigger false alarms rather than running the risk of my home being broken into again. 2) Cancel my card info and let them take me to collections where I know they will a) not waste their money or b) understand they did not live up to their expectations which were promised to the customer.

I would’ve never bought this service if I understood initially the motion sensor was not compatible with a dog. There is never a supervisor present with their company and the agents are free to treat customers as they please with no discipline (now understand that from looking at previous employee reviews on Glassdoor). DO NOT SUBJECT YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY TO THIS COMPANY'S LIES AND MANIPULATION, TRUST ME!!!

Hi Max,

I have called you but the for some reason the call disconnects. I will send you an email with my contact information so we can work on a resolution. I hope to hear from you soon. Thank you.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Buyer beware! Protection One utilizes sleazy practices to circumvent their obligations to their customers. Their fine print includes the following: "if you subscribe to Monitoring ... services, we shall program the equipment to communicate to our monitoring facility" and also says "notify us immediately if a problem with equipment occurs".

How is the customer supposed to know first if there is a problem with the equipment? Isn't that the job of the monitoring services? If the customer is paying for the monitoring services, should that burden fall on Protection One? Instead, they require the customer to notify them and they hold themselves not liable when they are collecting money but not actually providing monitoring services? Beware of this shady practice and note your contract completely before jumping in bed with this company. They will take your money but not actually provide you with any services!!

Hello,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I apologize to hear of your contract concerns. I have left a message with my contact information and look forward to speaking with you. Thank you and have a great day.

Rhonda

Original review: April 15, 2019

LIES, LIES AND MORE LIES. Explain to your clients you are Protection1 and NOT ADT. Originally, requested service through ADT. The sales rep Marlene ** assured I would receive service through ADT since I was expecting a credit of 200$ from American Express if I use my cc to charge over 250$. I will not be receiving the credit since these liars charged my cc using Protection 1 a whack third party vendor. What is even the biggest joke is I received a dysfunctional panel like the rest of their staff. I waited 2 days before receiving a working panel. Meanwhile, I’m pending a credit from my cc and now not only to have to return the product and will receive a 75$ restocking fee. I ended up on the phone a VERY RUDE AND DISMISSIVE AGENT. I will write a review on every social media platform possible and spend my TIME telling everyone one my personal experience.. LIARS.

Hello LaCitia,

I am sorry to hear of your disappointing experience. Protection 1 and ADT have merged so they are the same company. My apologies that this information was not shared with you. I have left you a voicemail with my direct number. I hope to speak with you soon. Thank you.

Resolution response: April 8, 2019

Rhonda and Mike called seperately after listening to the recording of the phone call and have let us cancel the service now.

Original review: April 2, 2019

We ended up with a Protection One system in our home we bought a few years ago. We’ve just not been happy with the system and intended to discontinue the service once the contract was up. On 4-1-2019 we attempted to pay the remainder of the service cost and cancel the service. We had to speak to some guy named Quinn who was condescending, insulting, and refused to tell us what our remaining contract balance was. We repeatedly asked for him to just tell us what the total contract cost would be so we could pay in full and end the relationship. Quinn told us that it didn’t make any sense and if I’d just quit talking he would explain why we should pay more, so we could have a warranty and stay with them, while he ignored our requests to just let us pay the service off. To be clear, the hardware is owned and the contract is only for monitoring service.

Quinn refused and continued to push and antagonize us until we hung up. We called an 800 number for ADT and asked for someone to please help us to pay in full and cancel the service, but the nice woman from ADT said she couldn’t help, that we’d have to talk to Protection One. She connected the call and it was literally the same person. I told him again, listen, please just tell us the total and let it be done. He couldn’t help himself and told me that I have to understand that it’s his job to keep us as customers at any cost. This continued forever. He argued and said everything except how we could basically just pay them to go away.

Finally he told me we had to write a letter to cancel, to which we said, "Fine, what’s the address?" Then he continued pushing us and fighting until the phone call was a screaming match. We still have not been able to finish the business with this company and we will NEVER do business with these people again. Everyone should know how they will be treated once they patronize this company and ever have to talk to Quinn. What company won’t let you pay in full and leave? Protection One.

Hi Aaron,

Thank you so much for taking my call today, I appreciate your time. Again, I sincerely apologize for your experience, to know that you have received less than our best is disappointing. We do thank you for bringing this to our attention.

If you ever have questions or concerns, please feel free to give me a call.

Rhonda

Original review: March 27, 2019

We chose Protection 1 after doing some research on what they had to offer compared to other alarm companies and their level of customer service after the sale. We have been a customer for many years now and I find them to be very helpful after the sale. Great customer service!

Hello Raymond,

Thank you so much for your kind words. We love having you as a customer and look forward to serving you for many years to come.

Rhonda

Original review: March 4, 2019

After numerous false alarms, I got rid of them after 26 years. They cause me to be fined by the Suffolk County Police Dept. Due to the false alarms. After dropping them, they had the nerve to bill me $55.00 with a threat to ruin my credit score. I never renewed my contract with them and canceled service. They lied right to my face and if I could only post the letter they sent I would gladly do it. After making them wait for several months, I'll send them the $55.00 just to end the worst experience ever. No wonder ADT took them over!!! Buyer BEWARE!!

Good Afternoon,

I am so sorry to learn of your difficulties. I have left a voice mail message with my direct number and look forward to speaking with you.

Rhonda

Original review: March 1, 2019

To Whom it may concern, I have been with ADT since 2013, I recently moved to a new residence in December right before Christmas (December 21 to be exact) and I was informed that ADT did not service this area but their sister company would be able to assist me. Being that I had nothing but pleasant experiences with ADT I didn’t expect to have any issues with the sister company Protection One, I did some shopping around and decided to stick with what I was already used to being that Protection One was associated with ADT, the price I was quoted and agreed to was $53.48 after taxes, well needless to say, I have had nothing but issues and constant charges or bills from day one with Protection One and I’m sick of it.

The current bill I received for this month is no different. This is upsetting and disturbing being that ADT referred me to use Protection One being that it is a sister company but the service is far from what I received at ADT. When I first signed up, I was told that I needed to pay a fee or charge which was $64.49 cents which was debited from my debit card on 12/17/18 (four days before I moved).

After I moved in, I saw that my new residence had more windows than we expected (we were shown a model unit before moving) so I called in and asked for more sensors being that we only received three, I was then told by an employee in your sales department that I would need to pay $264 for I believe 5 or 6 more sensors, when I refused and decided to get off the phone the “sales rep” quickly dropped the price and we came to an agreement of $84.99 (which was still pretty expensive, for a new customer but also gave me the feeling of being at flea market haggling prices).

This amount was charged to my card on 12/31/19, we are now at a total of $149.48 and I had only been in the residence for 10 days and I hadn’t even activated the system yet. Doesn’t this seem like a problem? Now to top that off, one of the sensors I received just happened to have a bad battery, which was discovered while I was activating the system, the representative that helped me on this occasion was very helpful professional and apologized and stated they would ship me another sensor at no charge to me (at least that’s what she told me).

I then receive a bill at the beginning of January for $96, due by the end of January, now please just place yourself in my shoes, I’m a somewhat new customer. I have paid your company $149 in 10 days and now I have another bill for $96 and I haven’t lived in my new place for a full month?! Does that make any sense? Now let’s fast forward to 1/19/19, I received another bill in the mail for $53.48 (which is what my bill is supposed to be), but since I have just shelled out quite a bit of money I call in to confirm what is going on here, I log on to my Protection One account and my bill reads I owe $60 and not $53.

Confused, I call in to the customer service and I spoke with a woman named Audrey and explained all of the issues and she stated that I was charged for the sensors I purchased back in December, I explained to her that the amount I paid was for the shipping and sensors and she stated, "Well we don’t show you paid anything," I told her I’m looking at the charge on my account now. Audrey’s exact words were “well sir if you don’t have anything to hide, just send us a picture with your bank statement to the Protection One e-mail”. I immediately asked to speak to her manager and he was a lot more helpful and maybe had access to reports that Audrey didn’t have because he was able to see the charge, he got it cleared up and I ended up having to pay $12.

After this was said and fast forward to February I got my bill which read zero dollars, was due I was shocked and called into Protection One just to make sure this was accurate given every issue I have had with this company up to this point I didn’t want to take any chances, after speaking with a rep I was told that no I don’t owe anything for this month, I also asked to make sure my bill would still be the same amount ($53.48) and that is what I will need to pay in March and this was all confirmed.

Now I was thinking this was behind me with all of the charges and now today, I received a bill from you all which is $83.89, I can’t describe how irritating and ridiculous this is to have to deal with this much nonsense and confusion as a customer in this short amount of time. Can someone please explain this to me and get this corrected, I’m tired of this. There seems to be a break down in communication, policies and customer service within your company because this is by far one of the worst experiences I have ever had.

Hello,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience and sincerely apologize. I reviewed your account and understand your concerns. I have left you a voicemail message with my direct number and would love the opportunity to speak with you. Thank you in advance for your time.

Rhonda

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

On February 22, I signed a contract to continue service with this company and have them upgrade my system for free. A technician came to my home and said they could not render services because the contract was never signed. Apparently the contract must have been disapproved on their end and I received no notification that this occurred. I also find it questionable as to why a technician was dispatched to my home if they were aware of the contract issue in the first place. I was already on the fence of whether I wanted to stay with the company. In fact, my purpose of calling the company on the 22nd was to cancel the service anyway since I spent two years haggling with them to upgrade my system, but was sweet-talked by one of the sales reps to stay. Now I just want my account cancelled so I can move on to a company that values loyal customers.

Good Afternoon,

I am sorry to hear of your negative experience, this is certainly not what we want for our customers. I have left you a voicemail message with my direct number and would love the opportunity to speak with you.

Rhonda

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I always try to be fair in my reviews. I will start off by saying that their customer service are polite and courteous when dealing with them. Their Alarm app that they use is user friendly and convenient as I have other features like door locks added to system. Due to my "job" (and I'll explain where this becomes amusing) I had Protection 1 (now ADT) come out and install a security system with a firefighter module that picks up the detectors sounding and sends a signal to the alarm company (EXTRA COST FOR THIS SERVICE). I recently changed my Smoke/Carbon detectors because they were old. I replaced the detectors and called to let them know I would be testing the system. They stayed on the line while I tested the system and to my surprise they never got the signal.

Their module picks up the signal but it never notified the panel and the alarm company never seen the signal. So I ask for a service call and took the day off. (If I do not work I don't get paid on my second job). They never showed. I called back and nothing came of it. I was at that point contemplating cancelling their service but again didn't because I was under contract. And honestly the hrs I work I put it on the back burner besides there is usually someone home during the winter months. So to this point I am paying for a service that does not work. So today I get a letter stating that my contract is coming up and they will be raising my rate $1.40 for "exceptional service." Yup that's what it said. Well I lost my mind.

I called them up and explained my frustrations and told the customer service rep that I could care less if it was 5 cents. It was the principle and I am seriously thinking of just cancelling the service. The rep was extremely polite but decided to feed me a line of crap which I let him get it all out then called his bluff. I am not sure if his supervisor told him to tell me this or he decided to run with this on his own. But here it is... He tells me that the service call from before was never put on the board. It showed the date but never placed on the "service board" and this is why they never came out. He then says, "While I had you on hold I looked into this and we have seen this issue before. A lot of times it's the homeowners smoke detectors and the wiring is not correct or up to date. We ask you to have a licensed electrician to come out and verify that all the wiring is correct before we come out."

So trying to not lose my cool I asked, "Please explain to me if my detectors worked before and the wiring was never touched as they are simple plug and play and they are the exact same detectors. Further your "firefighter detectors" pick up sound only (no wiring from detector to the fire module which is theirs and runs on radio signal). Please tell me why I need to pay an electrician at $60+ an hr to come out when your detector lights up when the smoke detectors sound but the signal doesn't reach the panel and the alarm company doesn't get the signal?" He asked me to hold... He came back and said, "Sir I looked into it some more and it may be your detectors and "because of the strict Fire Code Laws in Massachusetts my fear is we may have to take the module out and not be able to replace them."

So I asked, "Oh really?? Can you tell me more about this law??" Here is the amusing part. I have been a professional firefighter for 20+ years and am a certified Arson investigator as well as a Fire inspector. I am the one who goes to the homes and test them and I advise homeowners of the LAW 527 CMR!!! Then I politely told him about the law and the specific section of the law that relates to the smoke detectors. SILENCE...

I did let him off the hook and just moved forward to fix the issues rather than unleashing on him. I felt ripping him a new one even though I was that mad wouldn't solve much... Now to the average homeowner based on this representative would be on the hook for lost time and money for hiring a electrician and a tech not wanting to deal with the issue telling the homeowner it was their issue... Charging them based on that or the tech just taking the firefighter modules out thus leaving the homeless safe. So many would just cancel.

Like I said I want to leave a fair review. I have decided for the time being not to cancel because 1) my contract is not up, 2) They decided to not to raise my rate (smart decision on their behalf), 3) I am used to the service including its quirks, 4) They have assured me there will be a tech at my door on a specific date to fix the issues and 5) unfortunately there isn't much competition I currently know of that has the services they have. There probably is. I just for the moment don't have the time to have this whole service ripped out and a different one installed only to find a different kind of problem. When spring comes maybe I will change this and be able to find a better service.

One other point. My son has set the alarm off coming home from school early. They are not consistent with coming online to ask if everything is ok or notifying you via phone. Sometimes they don't even come online through panel. Others it's 10-15 minutes after... A lot can happen in 10 minutes. This was something I also brought the their attention when I first called for last appointment and was told it had to do with merger and it was being addressed. Can't say if this has in fact been addressed or not as I have not set the alarm off by accident in some time.

Good Afternoon,

We appreciate you taking time out of your day and sharing your experience. I am disappointed to know that you have not received our best. I have left you a voicemail message with my direct number. I would love the opportunity to speak with you.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Had call about getting camera installed and had to make payment over phone. When tech arrived he suggests not to install and order different camera equipment which that what I was supposed to have from beginning. Tech talk about 10 minutes and left. I call tech and ask about how I will get my card credit. He said call customer service. It’s been 14 days and they deducted a payment out the money that’s owe me and still telling me it’s going to take 5 to 7 days. Poor service.

Hello Steven,

Thank you for bringing this concern to our attention. I apologize for the delay as I can see the delay in the processing of the refund. I hate that you have had this experience.

I was unable to leave you a message on the phone but have sent you an email with my direct number. Please feel free to contact me with questions or concerns.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

We canceled an upgrade installation 2 weeks prior to date as well as giving a 30-day cancellation notice via email, phone call (sales agent and customer service) and fax to be effective 12/31/18. I have called 1/31/19 (Megan and Heather/Billing Manager), 2/6/19 Jean (Accounting) and called today 2/15/19 and was put on hold, no one ever came back on the phone. I was told everything was canceled and any payment made we would be refunded. We were still charged in Jan, Feb and a bill is out for March. I want my refund and my account canceled.

Hi A,

Thank you so much for taking time to speaking with me this morning. I feel terrible this was your last experience with our company. We strive to give the very best in customer service and knowing that you received less than the best is disappointing. We will review the account to make sure this doesn't happen to other customers. Please keep my number and feel free to call me with any other questions or concerns.

Rhonda

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

When I moved to my current house 8 years ago, I had my security system with ASG then it was changed to Protection 1. Last week on the evening, I left my house and armed the system before I left. When I came back, window in front room was broken, front door was open, and my system was unarmed. I called the police and the Protection 1 that night. Protection1 sent a technician to my house. To my surprise all the wiring for the system was installed above the drop ceiling in the basement. That part of the house was not secured by the system. it means anybody could get to my garage, mess with it and disconnect the system from there.

I found a video on YouTube that exactly explain how it can be done (I have it if anybody wants to see it). I called Protection1 and asked for history event on the equipment to see if the equipment were tampered with (the guy who installed my camera told me to ask for it), but they said it can't be done. I paid my monthly fees and depended on them to protect me, but they did not do their job right.

Hi Suzan,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I have left you a voice mail with my direct phone number. I hope to speak with you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Their devices keep malfunctioning causing you to bypass sensors when turning on the alarm. You have to pay for them to come out and fix it and if it malfunctions again the next day, you have to pay again each time. Their front image sensor doesn't capture any images either and will run out of battery constantly.

Hi Punit,

Thank you so much for bringing your concerns to our attention. I sincerely apologize for this experience as this is not what we want for our customers. I have left you a voice mail with my direct number. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I was reached out by a salesman from Protection 1 to switch my hotel’s fire alarm monitoring system. I have explained current problems I have with the company I am using and problems with my alarm system. Also, told him I have deadline to get things done set by state homeland security. He offered me that they are one of best and they can provide better service since they have the best technicians out there, so I will not have to worry about a thing.

After agreeing to go with them, technicians came out to prep the new communication installation and then they said they would have to come back since they have brought incompatible equipment to my fire alarm system. Apparently, salesman did not correctly gave them right model number of my fire system. So I have asked them about problems that I have mentioned to salesman, and they said nothing of those issues were mentioned to them. I have explained them the problem and they said they can’t do anything about that since it’s not in their work order and told me they will have make a note since those issues should repaired before the installation.

After few days, other technicians came and they still was not aware of those issues and they could not continue the installation until those issues are repaired. So I called the salesman to ask why these problems that I have told him was never mentioned to operation department and he said he did, but seems like they never got the message. After days of calling and frustration to get repair scheduled, salesman sends me a contract estimated work order of 32 hours to get the repair done and told me actual invoice could be different depending on how long they work on the repair, could be less or more.

They finally came and repaired issues which took them less than half day. At this time I was about 2 weeks past my deadline that was set by state home and security. I finally get a reply after many emails and calls from salesman saying the installation can be scheduled after 4-6weeks. So I have told him forget the installation and I will not get monitoring system from them. And he passes the phone to someone else saying that I’m giving him ridiculous reasons and his fellow worker should hear this. “Hey, you need hear him.” Is what he told his fellow worker. So I talked to the fellow worker and he said he understands why I do not want to go with Protection 1.

So I asked the salesman to send me final invoices of all work. All these took more than a month. First reached out in Sept. 7th, 2018 and getting to repair problems I have mentioned from the beginning was done on October 17th. Now this time frame is without the installation of equipment to be installed. After asking for final charges, which was Oct. 18th, 2018, the salesman sends me email yesterday, Feb. 7th, 2019 (almost 4 month later) and invoice shows there was 31 hours involved. I replied and told him that technicians were here to repair less than that and he replied that operation department told him technicians were on site multiple days.

I am at the site all the time and when repair techs arrive I always go and see them since I am the only person that has keys to electrical room which they need access to. I have asked him to provide me work report for what and when they have done and he sends me saying they only provide all one bill, which basically means he can’t provide me work report. What kind of company does not have work order report? I have told him I am not going to make payment until I get these report.

This was the worst customer service from salesman. Promises are never kept, the most frustrating communication. I should’ve checked how bad this company reviews were before I trusted his fault statements and assurances. It’s almost a scam. THE WORST COMPANY I have ever dealt with in my 10 years of business career. If he want to get paid for ACTUAL work they did, he better get things right without a scam.

Hi David,

I wanted to follow up on our conversation from last week. I did receive your email and forwarded this information to the branch management. I will follow up with them for a response. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns while I work on a resolution.

Rhonda

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I so wish ADT had not merged with Protection 1. They are rude people; Marla, Deuane, & Alicia especially! They have not a clue about professionalism, comprehension, & listening skills! If I were you, I would think twice before signing up with this company. I have been through too much with this company to write everything that happened to me. No, I do not care to speak with anyone else from Protection 1. I just hate they are using ADT's reputable name.

Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you have received less than the best from us. Thank you for sharing your experience, we do value your feedback. If you change your mind and would like to speak with me, please let us know. Thank you for your time.

Resolution response: Feb. 9, 2019

Rhonda was most helpful. She was very understanding of the matter and could not refund me the money that was already submitted, but she cleared my account balance of the cancellation settlement offered based on the previous cancellation fee being process as a credit rather than a cancellation of the account. She was very compassionate and made me feel comfortable and confident in the resolution.

Thank you again, Rhonda from Protection 1.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

When me and my husband first bought our home we were contacted and signed up with Protection 1, the service was par, no real complaints. 2 years later we switched to another company as the service was not as consistent as when we first purchased it. And the new company offered upgrades and the buyout of our contract. I signed a cancellation authorization and the $750 check was sent with it to cancel my contract in August 2017. All was well until I noticed that the automatic drafts started back up September 2018. When I noticed in January 2019 I called and explained my situation and I was given the runaround and even those at this point I’ve already overpaid over $200. They insisted that I must pay another cancellation fee!!! At first they said I needed to send in a cancellation request and they never received one even though it was obvious that the $750 sent in was their cancellation amount.

But instead they applied it as a credit to my account which is why I stopped being billed. Now they want another 300 to settle. It’s very sad that they would do this to anyone, a member of the military, and a new mom. They have no morals as a company and take advantage of anyone and lie to their customers. I’m very disappointed in this company and would NEVER recommend them to anyone. I’ve always paid my bill on time and followed all procedures but because I don’t have a copy of a letter sent and a certified proof that they received it they will not honor my cancellation as of 2017 and want even more money. I can only imagine how many people they have scammed and lied to. One person says one thing and then another representative says you have to call and talk to someone and mail in a cancellation. All they care about is money.

Hi Amanda,

I am sorry to hear of your experience. I have left you a message with my direct number. I am working on pulling the call as the quote given is not our policy. However we want to honor the request if quoted. I look forward talking to you soon. Thank you,

Rhonda

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Purchased a home Nov 2016 and shortly thereafter had home security system installed paying >$500 for that. The service was provided locally by the same company that delivers oil. I always called in my monthly payments. In November 2018, my bank statement had an unauthorized charge so followed-up to dispute. Turns out ADT bought the contract from the local vendor and without my consent took payment as an auto draft. I spoke w/ ADT rep and demanded they put the money back and not help themselves to my money again. I got push back big time. The person I spoke with said the contract now belonged to them and they had the right as my account came as an auto debit.

I called the local company rep who said mine was about the 10th call that morning. In the end, the local co contacted ADT to correct them and the money went back into my account. I searched reviews online and it did not take any time to find reviews as posted here. It's nothin' but a shakedown. There is no service. It's all about the money and they have little tolerance for a dissatisfied customer. It's a contract, they bought it and they want their $750 to part ways.

Got a call tonight from Protection 1 (seems my account has been demoted) while at work asking for "their money" as I have not sent them a dime. When I asked, "Isn't this a shakedown? I did not contract with you. I'm not using the alarm system that I paid for. You're not doing anything for me. I'm not asking you for anything, but you're telling me IOU $130 or I have to buy out at $750." Gangsta!

Do not contract with these cons. Read these reviews. It's not about providing a service/taking care of people. It's contracts and money and hostage taking. Pay up or what? I hope better business bureau gets up in your business! Where do you find the people you have running the collection calls? Not a little ole lady just yet and will not let your nasty employees intimidate me. Did not contract with you. Don't want what you have to offer.

Hi Barbara,

I am so sorry to hear of your concerns with the acquisition. I have left you a message with my direct number and will send you a copy of your contract. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I called to cancel our monitoring today (1/25) with Protection 1. Because we have it set to auto-pay, we paid for services on 1/23. I asked if that will be refunded, and she explained that even if we didn't have auto-pay set up, we still would have received a bill for 30 days after cancelation. What? She explained that it takes 30 days to cancel service. This makes NO sense to me. Cable can cancel same day, Sirius XM can cancel same day. What makes it so hard to cancel alarm monitoring same day and refund the pro-rated portion of the paid invoice? Makes zero sense. I will not be returning to Protection 1 in the future. We will find another provider.

Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me. If you should have any more concerns please feel free to contact me. The number that populated on your caller ID would be my direct number. Thank you.

Protection 1 expert review by Ben Mannes

The company offers wired and wireless systems with or without home automation, as well as flexible pricing. Choose from 6 packages for $34.99-$54.99. Systems have 3-5 year contracts, with warranty options of 3-years or 90 days. Self-installed and professional installation are available.

• Flexible plans: Protection 1 offers flexible plans that you can customize to your home, your security preferences and monitoring options (e.g. landline or cellular).

• Home automation: Log into Protection 1's mobile apps for remote access to automate home lighting, see live security video, arm or disarm your system, control your thermostat, unlock your doors and more.

• Versatile equipment: Consumers can add remote door locks, night vision cameras, wireless doorbells, garage door sensors and more to create a home security system that perfectly meets your needs.

• Deductible protection: Protection 1 customers have extra protection in the event of a burglary. The company will cover up to $1,000 towards the homeowner’s insurance deductible. Interested consumers should see the website for specific details and restrictions.

• Referral bonus: When existing customers recommend Protect 1 to a friend who signs up for monitoring, the original customer will earn a $50 referral bonus. The bonus will be paid as an account credit.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Protection 1 Company Information