1.44/5
Based on 73 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1988, Protection 1 continues to grow and become a leader in the full service security industry. We strive to provide services to residential, commercial and national customers. We will customize your security system to fit your specific home or business needs.

Our 24/7 professional monitoring centers will be there to ensure your safety. Protection 1 guarantees when you call for help, you will speak with a real person. Keep your family and business safe - call today!

Protection 1 Video
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 19, 2018

835 Protection 1 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 1, 2018

False advertisement. Forced me into a contract without my knowledge and when I found out about it and start to argue the only reason I signed up with this company is because they advertised no contract they just hanged up the phone on me.

Hi L S,

I am so sorry you had less than perfect experience. As a company we do require contracts, so this is very much a concern. I have left you a voice mail with my direct line and look forward to speaking with you soon for more details.

Rhonda

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm & Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 28, 2018

I have perfect credit -- hence my anger with Protection 1 and their harassment over $33.95. My employer took over payment of this account and it appears that there was a gap of one month for a whopping $33.95 when the employer took over. My employer pays the account for more than a year and then I start getting multiple calls with no messages from an 866 number in February 2018. I finally answer after 10 calls or so because this is going on day and night. The call tells me that the January 2018 bill wasn't paid and that I owe $33.95. I explain that my employer is paying it and I will let them know about the issue the next day. The employer confirms the next day that the January 2018 payment was made.

In the meantime (yes less than 24 hours) I get two more calls from them. Each time I explain. Each time they call the amount owed increases by an additional $33.95. The last person admits that this is a robocall system and says that there is nothing she can do. Finally the calls stop. In the midst of this, I call them and indicate that I am cancelling my service because of all of the nonsense they pulled. I had spoken to my brother in law that also cancelled service with them and he told me they were completely rude and wouldn't release codes until he raised complete hell. I am told I have to send them an email to cancel service. I send the email and ask for them to confirm it was received and further to release the codes. No response.

I call back several days before my new alarm company is coming to take over the system. They got the email but won't give me the codes because that is not their policy. I indicate that I know that they do it since they did it for my brother in law. They refuse to turn over the codes so it cost me $200 to get my new alarm system up and running.. Under OK rules they have to do certain things but turning over the code is not on there -- even though it would cost them nothing to do it.

So, I think my hell of Protection 1 is over but then the robocalls started almost a month after my service is over. It is now April 2018. After multiple calls from an 866 number with no message, I call that number and it is a collection service. WHAT!! I call Protection 1 and the person tells me that I owe $33.95 from November 2016. Whatever, I pay them. I don't know if I really owed them the money but the harassment over $33.95 is not worth my time. They also tried to tell me that they didn't know certain things since they bought my original alarm company through whom I originally obtained service.

Hi Kerry,

Thank you for sharing your experience, I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I have left you a voice mail with my direct number, please feel free to give me a call.

I do want to take advantage and let you know that we do appreciate your business and are disappointed to lose you as a customer. I hope to hear from you soon.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 24, 2018

For the most part, I have enjoyed the peace of mind. My business was protected by Protection 1. We have had a few issues - surprise charges, saying account is overdue when it's on auto-draft so there is no way for it to go unpaid, etc. The problem is that now I am being forced to move my business. I have reached out to multiple phone numbers for Protection 1 and I am getting no assistance. In fact, I am getting attitude. (Admittedly, I have dished a little in return because this is absolutely FRUSTRATING).

My success as a business owner is built on customer service! When I ask the P1 representatives what can be done, I'm told "You knew what you were getting into when you signed the contract." Well, if we all had crystal balls to predict our futures, we'd sure be in a different place, wouldn't we? Of course, THEY can terminate for any reason at any time, no matter what. I would appreciate some help - not headache - from Protection 1. I've been a good customer, you'd think they could return the favor?!? Apparently not. And now they want to tell me I can transfer the service to my new location IF, and only if, I sign a new 42-month contract. The past two years have counted for nothing. RAWR!!!

Hi Emily,

Thank you so much for taking my call today and again for contributing an inconvenience during a stressful time for you. I didn't have the chance yet to speak to your representative yet, but I have noted the account. I will still follow up with him today as well.

Please keep my direct phone number and do not hesitate to contact me with questions or concerns. Again, thank you.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I was a customer and signed an agreement in 2008. I changed alarm companies in 2017. Was told by your company that there is an outstanding balance due because in 2014 you put in additional equipment in my home. This never happened and I was e-mailed a copy of two signatures which were not mine. In addition you have stated that my son also signed the contract. My son did not even live here. As of tonight I was informed that an M. ** states there are similarities in the signatures and they are asking to speak with my son who doesn't live here. And now changed your story. I would like to have someone in your company have the decency to contact me personally not someone looking to collect money. Your company was paid every month from 2008 until Aug. of 2017. This is a terrible way to run a business and I am contacting the Attorney General of NYS.

Hi Phyllis,

Thank you so much for taking my call today. I apologize for any confusion and the inconvenience it has caused you. I have addressed the concerns on the account per our conversation. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to give me a call. Thank you for your business and if something changes we would love to have you back as a customer.

Original review: April 16, 2018

After being a customer with this company for many years I tried to have my service transferred to my new home. This move is to be a guaranteed free service after your first year of monitoring. Duane ** and his boss Micah ** proceeding in an extremely rude, and unprofessional manner. Not only are they refusing to honor my contracted price, but are trying to raise my rates by five times the existing price, while threatening to hold me to an early termination fee of 100$. Protection 1/ADT your staff located in the Kansas branch are a disgrace to the fake image of great customer service you claim to have. You breached our contracted amount not me. Your response is to this matter is unacceptable and I promise to make sure the world knows what a scam you are!

Hello Lucas,

Thank you for sharing your experience, we value your thoughts. I am so sorry we were not able to provide you the same rate at your new location. I have left you a message with my direct number and would love the opportunity to speak with you. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Rhonda

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protection 1?

Original review: April 16, 2018

In a simple phrase: DON'T DO IT. Terrible customer service. Make you sign a ridiculously long contract. Their security system is very loud and annoying. Nothing positive to report about them. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Good Afternoon Mr. Frank,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience and have pulled the initial call. I would love the opportunity to speak with you and have left a voice mail with my direct phone number. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: April 9, 2018

Called Protection 1 (now ADT) and told them I lost my job and need to cancel. Told, well sorry but you signed a 5 year contract 3 months ago which reduced my monthly bill. Agent told me to get out would cost me $750 approximately! No exceptions. I cannot pay that so until I file for coming bankruptcy I am stuck. Will put this on my bankruptcy and they won't get a cent afterwards.

Hi Joe,

I am so sorry to hear of your current difficulties. I have left you a message with my direct number and look forward to speaking with you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: March 30, 2018

Protection One has become terrible. My sensors kept sending false alarms so I couldn't turn the system on without calling the police and getting a fine. I called for repairs, but 3 times the tech didn't show up during their window - and it's a 4-hour window! Over the course of 4 months I paid for monitoring I couldn't use and missed 3 days of work waiting for a tech that never showed. Obviously I can't keep paying for a service that doesn't work and makes me miss my own job, so I called and canceled. At which point, as all my neighbors now know, Protection One said I was under contract and owed them hundreds of dollars!

There are 2 key points here: 1) I am NOT under contract. I signed up 10 years ago and never signed any sort of renewal. You can't just roll someone into a contract for life. 2) The product and service didn't work. How can someone pay for something that doesn't work? Even worse, when I've spoken with the service people (when I was still paying for a service that didn't work) they consistently apologized and offered me credits. Now when I talk to collections, they say I'm the one who canceled each appointment! Why would I do that? They even have records of credits they offered me in compensation. Clearly Protection One techs lie about the way they treat their customers.

Now of course they call me every day as part of a harassment campaign to get the money they feel they deserve for their lack of literally delivering any kind of service. They claim they have my contract on file and can email it to me, but I've spoken to their collections people 3 times and - no surprise here - they can't even come through on that. It's because I don't have a contract and/or they can't be bothered to deliver on even the smallest of their promises / threats. Oh - and the message from collections says, "Call us back at..." And then never actually leaves a phone number. Talk about incompetent.

So to recap. My service didn't work for 4 months. I wasted 3 days missing work waiting 4 hours each time for a tech that never showed. They lie about me canceling appointments. They claim I'm in a contract which actually ended 7 years ago. And Protection One thinks I should pay them for breaking my end of the deal? I have never had or even heard of such a bad experience. Protection One is simply terrible.

Hi Mr. Elliott,

Thank you so much for taking time to speak with me today. I am so sorry that your last experience with Protection 1 now ADT was so bad. I apologize for any inconvenience and will note the account with our conversation. I will pass on the concerns to our branch leadership about the technicians and scheduling. I know they will appreciate the feedback to prevent these experiences for other customers. If you change your mind we would love to have you back as a customer. Thank you for your time and please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Rhonda

Original review: March 29, 2018

Your alarm service was installed in this house when purchased in February 2006. For insurance purposes it was kept in place. In October of 2017 a decision was made to switch services at this location as well as the location of my wife’s operation. We were receiving numerous false alarms that was causing undue issues with the police and the neighbors. We contacted a local source and made arrangements to replace the service in both locations. My billing has been digital and was automatically paid through my bank.

In November I contacted your accounting department to discontinue the service. I was told it was not possible without the full account number. I waited until December but discontinued automatic payments. In December I received a paper statement and immediately called your 800 number to have service discontinued. I spoke to a Customer Service Specialists by the name of Juan. He told me that he was in Dallas. I paid for the current month and past due balance with a credit card. Juan thanked me for my 10 years and that was supposed to be the end of that.

Since that time I have received calls daily telling me that I needed to contact Protection 1 because of past due balances. I now have a statement that shows a balance due of $133.90. Please clear this balance immediately and refer to your notes when this account was paid in full and account closed. The notes are there as someone confirmed it to me when I spoke to someone in February. Please take care of this immediately and reply by email that this account is closed. Thank you.

Good Afternoon Timothy,

I am so sorry to learn of your difficult experience. I listened to several of the phone calls and our reps did not explain to you the importance of the password regarding cancellation. We definitely want to convey to our customers the importance of securing the account and to verify we are speaking with the person with authority on the account for cancellation. We will work with our reps and the importance of communication for the reason of the password.

I have left you a voice mail message with my direct line. I would love the opportunity to speak with you. Again, my heartfelt apology for your experience. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 28, 2018

My husband and I have had the worst experience EVER with this company; we have been lied to, harassed beyond belief, had assurances given to us (even wrote down names of the people) but it was conveniently NEVER noted on our account and then continually harassed yet again. Had the system installed at our old house. Was told if we moved the new owners could keep the system... After a couple of years yes we did move and was told the area to which we moved they didn't even service the area. Was told we wouldn't have to pay any fees just the couple of months the system was on hold. Protection One was given our new address--otherwise how would they have known they service our area--and we never heard another word from them. Nothing, nada, nothing! Fast forward approximately 6 months and they start calling at the very least 5 times a day!

They claimed they sent numerous bills but never to the correct address and of course, none were even sent to the old address as mail had been forwarded! Finally got someone to send a bill and we were being charged all sorts of fees and buyout from the "contract" --my husband has talked to numerous people from there. Even went as far as offering to pay half the bill amount to which he was told was notated and would get it mailed to him with the agreed upon amount. NEVER happened!!! Continuous calls again!!! Finally received a "final statement" demanding payment for the FULL AMOUNT!!! DO NOT EVER USE THIS COMPANY!!! Horrible customer service and NO ETHICS! I wish I could have chosen a NEGATIVE 5 stars but isn't possible!!!

Hi Liz,

I apologize for your experience and would love the opportunity to speak with you. I have left you a voicemail with my direct number.Please give me a call so we can work on a resolution for you.

Rhonda

Original review: March 23, 2018

I tried my best to protect my home with Protection 1, I found it to be an inconvenience and a complete waste of time and my hard earned money. Firstly, I ordered the service and I let the salesperson know that I would be heading out of town for a few weeks so if my alarm system is delivered I wouldn’t be home and I was told that I would receive a phone call. Never got that call I leave out of town and return home to 3 failed attempts at delivery. So I wait until 1/11 to finally get my system to find that it was a sensor short. So I didn’t activate my service until I had the complete equipment. I called and was told the sensor was like $60 so after agreeing to pay for it which I didn’t think was fair waited and waited and waited. The sensor never comes, so then I began to receive calls from collections at $21 and I have to this date had 5 phone conversations about my service not being activated and why.

So after months of going round and round with Protection 1 and its sales, billing, and management team I just can’t do it anymore. I haven’t had 1 second of service and now I am being charged $750 for an early cancellation fee because of the inconvenience that I was put through by the total lack of professionalism and customer service. I was told “what would be the benefit of having a recorded call played back” well the recorded call is there for quality assurance. The call is being recorded to hold the customer to every word but not Protection 1.

I was told by an agent 3/14 that he would work on waiving my fee because of all the hassle and wasted time I was put through, he told me he would call me back you think he did? NO! So I asked the manager to check the prior phone calls so he could see why I am trusted and he responded with the above quote. I am highly disappointed and very angry by the terrible customer service and the fact that I am being billed a cancellation fee for this madness.

Hi Edwin,

I am sorry to hear of your experience. I have left you a voice mail with my contact information and look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you and have a great day.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Stay Away in the Atlanta Market. We are the owners of a private school in Atlanta. 4 weeks later after signing our cameras are not operational. The DVR has yet to be delivered. I have reached out to their executive director of customer care as well as the commercial sales manager. Communication is horrible and cannot get a response from anyone in their company. They are dishonest and have no respect for customer care. Do not do business with this firm. If they cant install they sure cant keep your business secure.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I apologize for any inconvenience that may have occurred. I have left you a voicemail with my direct contact number and you are welcome to contact me. Thank you.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Currently I am using Protection 1 service on 5 locations, I had to make three year contract, because previous owner had some remained contract period and had to pay penalties to stop service. I called sales team, whose name Charles **, and he told me that if I can make brand new contract with them for three years, previous owner no need to pay penalties. On June, 2017, I paid off all remained balance, my account was 0 balance. My new service was started from July, 2017. Till now I paid $1429.86, and my monthly bill total $159.95 (for all locations), but they send me bill for $ 529.88, which says overdue?!!

Good Afternoon,

I am so sorry for your experience and would love the opportunity to speak with you. I was unsuccessful in trying to call you but have emailed you with my direct number. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: March 19, 2018

Protection 1 is HORRIBLE! The equipment never worked, and they refused to lets us out of our THREE YEAR contract. They were supposed credit $5 to our account each month to make up for equipment failure, however that never happened (up to $95 plus.) Worst company and customer service. I WILL NOT renew with this company and will make sure everyone know about their underhanded business practices! DON'T GET BAMBOOZLED by their (and ADT too) three year contracts. There's plenty of other (LOCAL) security companies. Shame on you Protection 1!

Good Morning,

Thank you so much for bringing this concern to our attention. I apologize for this experience, it certainly is not what we want for our customers. It looks like one of our representatives has updated the account and placed a credit for the delay in the process. However, I would still love the opportunity to speak with you to ensure that everything is to your satisfaction. I have left you a voicemail with my direct number. I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you soon. Thank you.

Resolution response: March 28, 2018

I talked with Rhonda and it was a very pleasant experience for a change. She listened to the situation and resolved my issue. If regular customer service was like this it would make a big difference.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I had been a customer for twenty-three years. My equipment failed plus it was so old the monitoring personnel did not know how to dial my system and have the speaker function (which is why we purchased this system). I called to cancel in April 2017. I could not afford a whole new system upgrade plus an increase in monthly service payments. Instead they suspended my service for three months and without notice they reactivated and charged me for three months. I had to unplug the system in April 2017 due to the failure and the power supply looked burnt. I was worried it would catch my house on fire. Many calls later in which again I thought was resolved, I get a letter stating "after numerous attempts to contact me" which I have had none, threaten collections. I have an answering machine and it falls back to voicemail if the phones are down. NO MESSAGES FROM PROTECTION 1. I would STAY AWAY from this company.

Good Morning,

I apologize for disappointing experience after having been such a long term customer. I have left you a message with my direct number to discuss your concerns. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you.

Resolution response: March 15, 2018

After posting my review, I received a call from Rhonda. She was most helpful and understanding. If all of the employees at Protection 1 were like Rhonda, they would be a number 1 company.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Today I called Protection 1 to cancel my mother's account. She has had to move into an assisted living facility since she no longer can take care of herself. I first spoke with Austin and then Duane who was quite rude. I tried to explain the situation about my mother and told them that she has not lived in the home since Dec. They informed me that her bill from Jan to April was $135 something. I spoke with Austin and he agreed to lower the bill to $97.91. I then called back and had the pleasure of speaking with Duane who was rude. I was trying to find out why my mother's bill was so high for a couple of months.

I had called back in February to cancel her service and the department I needed to speak with was closed. At that point they should have told me that she would keep being charged until the account was officially closed. With everything else I'm taking care of for her, it slipped my mind to call back. So a word to the wise, if you want to cancel your account you better read the fine print. They don't sway from that contract under any circumstances.

Hello Joan,

Thank you for taking time to speak with me today. I sincerely apologize for your experience in canceling your mothers account. We do not want to contribute any difficulties during what is a very difficult time for both you and your mother. We will be addressing additional training to make sure this does not happen to other customers and their relatives.

If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you so much, I wish both you and your mother the best.

Rhonda

Original review: March 9, 2018

First, we were very satisfied with how Protection 1 does indeed protect myself and my family with their security system. However, upon selling my home and moving, I called and temporarily paused service as I had not found another home yet. Upon moving into another home and deciding to not start using the services again I called to cancel and was told I had signed a 58 month contract. When the representative was at my home, initially setting me up for service, he said there was no contractual obligation, and could cancel service at any time with no cancellation fee. Back to present time - I told the representative I had not signed a contract, he said he had the contract, and I requested he email it to me.

Well, I indeed DID NOT sign a contract! Not only is the address for the contract not my old home, the signature on the contract isn't even close to anyone thinking it could be my signature. The customer center agent, rude, continuously says I'm contractually obligation but you can't be contractually obligated if you never signed a contract. So he refuses to allow me to speak with someone else and offered me a buy-out of just over $300. I'm so upset about this particularly because if you were to look at my credit report - guess what - I've never had anything on it negative, including not paying my bills! If my signature was on this contract I would absolutely pay the buy-out as I'd be contractually obligated, and that's my responsibility when signing a contract. But it isn't! Security service offered for this company is good and made me feel safe, it's too bad their representatives and contracts are awful.

Hi Emily,

Thank you so much for taking my call today. I apologize for your experience and understand that moving is a stressful time. I told Nick about our conversation and a possible email from you. Also, you are definitely welcome to call me on my direct line. I am want to make sure your needs are addressed.

Rhonda

Original review: March 5, 2018

My story is a Pandora's Box of countless aggravating phone calls. The CEO has no phone extension to be reached at? The email address for the CEO, has to be incorrect, otherwise, he most certainly would have replied to my concerns about his employees horrible customer service. I signed up for cameras to be installed, and was a cash customer to my already existing account with them. After 2 months of trying to get a credit they promised me, because their install person could not figure out the install, they AGAIN put a charge on my credit card without my authorization! I have no idea what this charge is even for at this point. Each rep gives me a different answer to what the charge is. It truly is so sad that you cannot reach ONE person to handle your complaint, and try to show you that you are VALUED as a customer. Even their phone recording has ELIZABETH as their customer service manager, who is just a RECORDING, not a PERSON.

Hi Angela,

Thank you so much for taking my call today. I apologize for your experience and appreciate you giving me the opportunity to correct the account concerns. It is disappointing to know that you have not received the best service that we have to offer. I want to thank you for your business and being our customer.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Rhonda

Original review: March 2, 2018

Complete disaster and would give less than one star if possible. Had excellent security system previously installed by ADT. Needed several sensors replaced due to upgrade to windows and a door. Installer said wires were no longer any good and had to change them. Found out later he lied. Sent 9 page brief description of the 10 hour install - have not had a response. System does not work and we were charged for this piece of crap. Will be hiring a lawyer and suing this company. Could have easily settled but they are nothing but bad salesmen. Don’t use them - choose another security company. Never had a problem with ADT in the past but things have changed. They no longer care about their customers.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Let me start my review by saying that my account got behind due to my credit card being lost when I had surgery. I called to update the credit card and made a payment to bring my account current. This should have been the end of my interaction with this company but it wasn't, everyday 10-15 times a day I get collection calls. No one ever says anything, the calls drop and they call right back. I have a husband that is deployed overseas and a special needs child so I have to keep my phone on at all times but it is certainly not on to be bombarded by calls from this company every day all day.

I spoke to a supervisor in customer service who advised me that there was a problem with the auto dialer and that he would make sure that I no longer get any calls. They stopped for a day and continued. I requested to cancel my service due to this and was advised that I would be billed 700 from a very rude ignorant woman who didn't seem to care that the only reason why I was calling is because of the treatment that I was receiving from their company. I have never ever been treated in such a poor way by a company in my life and will seek legal assistance to distance myself from this company.

Hi Paula,

Thank you so much for taking my call today. I sincerely apologize for your experience and the inconvenience it has caused you. We appreciate you bringing this concern to our attention. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any concerns. I hope you have a great March.

Rhonda

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

Our previous condo board president contacted Protection 1 to have security cameras installed in our parking lot. The original agreement was that we were purchasing these cameras through a payment plan and after the balance was paid we would only be billed for a monthly maintenance fee (in case a tech ever had to come out). Soon after, I became board president. After a few years of paying the bill regularly -- and paying off the cameras -- we decided we didn't want to keep paying the maintenance fee. I called and was told the maintenance contract could only be cancelled in the month of October and in writing. I waited until October and called again to cancel the contract. I was told I was supposed to submit the request in writing 30 days before October and because I'd failed to do that I had to wait until October of the next year (or September -- if you're following their scam wording).

I said, "No way, the cameras were paid for and we wanted this maintenance contract nullified." Then I was told that the cameras were not paid for and that we actually had leased them and if we stopped paying we'd be breaking the lease agreement. I went over my paperwork and there was nothing in the contract that said anything about a lease. At this point we'd paid far more than the cameras were worth, but they expected us to simply keep paying in perpetuity. I insisted there was a mistake and asked if there was some way to resolve this issue.

I was told I could request a termination of the "lease" in October, whereby they would come and collect the cameras (that we'd already paid for). I went through the initial contract that our HOA signed and stressed that the word "lease" did not appear anywhere on the paperwork. I was put on hold for 15 minutes and the associate came back and basically said: "Okay, you can keep the cameras. But you can't cancel the maintenance agreement until October."

Understanding that I was dealing with a shady company, I simply stopped paying the bill. Of course, this eventually lead to a series of annoying robo-calls from debt collectors. Aggravated, I called again to try to straighten things out. This time I spoke to a woman who tried to give me the "lease" spiel again. I said we never had a lease, we'd bought the cameras free and clear, and I was tired of their runaround. I said that we didn't even need the cameras anymore and they were welcome to come by and remove them if they wanted them back.

After much arguing I got her to admit that the cameras were so old that it wouldn't even be worth the money to send a tech out to collect them. We could keep the cameras. I also asked her to zero out our account so we'd never have to deal with them again. She said okay and assured me our balance was zero and we owed no more money.

A few weeks later we got another bill in the mail. And another one. The robo-calls started again. I called back and got another associate who claimed there was no record of the previous call stating that our account had been closed and zeroed out. She said we still owed a specific amount on our "lease." And we still had to keep paying for the maintenance fee (which could be cancelled in October). I said again that they could come and get the cameras (that we'd paid for) but they would never again receive another penny from our HOA. She said fine, and that they would schedule a time for the tech to come out to remove the cameras and that our account would finally be cancelled.

This was a few months ago. No tech ever came. We're still getting bills and threatening letters about collections. This is easily the most unethical company I've ever had the displeasure of having to deal with. I was not even surprised when I came here and saw their one-star aggregate rating. Clearly we're not the only ones who have been sucked into this vortex where the bills are perpetual and cancelling service is impossible. Avoid, avoid, avoid this company.

Good Afternoon Paris

Thank you for bringing this concern to our attention. I sincerely apologize for the experience and any inconvenience it has caused you. I appreciate you taking my call and allowing me to offer a resolution. Thank you so much for your business and should your changes need in the future we would love to have you back as a customer.

Rhonda

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

After having my account for a little more than a year I filed a claim. My timing belt broke and the car required a $1250 repair. I was reimbursed $360. No explanation for what was covered and what wasn't. I then began attempting to get a refund for the balance of the contract. I sent in a notarized letter verifying the mileage as they required. I had the letter certified and the post office confirmed delivery. After two weeks I called to inquire about the status of the refund. “Sorry can't find the letter, I'll call you back.” No callback. Call again, “Sorry the person you need to talk to is at lunch, they'll call back.” You guessed it, no callback. Then the person I was supposed to talk to was called away on a personal emergency. Bottom line, they flat lied and said they did not receive the certified letter. I then faxed the information. Called immediately to confirm the fax was received. I was informed I'd have a refund in 30-60 days.

On day 75 I called again. Person I needed to talk to was once again at lunch and would call me back in half an hour. After an hour and a half I called back. They were going to call back but the computers just came back on line. They'll call soon. “No. I want to talk to someone now.” I got someone to talk to. She said she would cancel the check they were going to send out and refund my credit card. I asked how much the refund was. Although she claimed to be canceling a check she couldn't tell me how much the refund was for. Then while I was explaining what I'd gone through to get to this point she hung up on me. I called back. Said I was disconnected. She was on another call and unable to talk to me. I was told the refund would be credited to my card. I'll believe it when I see it.

Hi Dan,

Thank you for taking my call today. I hope you find the correct company for your concerns.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Do you remember when companies used to strive to deliver good customer service? When they treated customers with respect? When they actually provided the service they're in existence to provide? Someone may want to remind Protection 1 about those days, because the concepts elude this crew of misfits. It's difficult to put into words how terrible my experience with Protection 1 has been. In hindsight, the experience seems almost surreal.

In October 2017 my company expanded into another location. The previous tenant had a security system with Protection 1, and we agreed to assume the service and equipment. In the last week of October, the outgoing occupant and I both provided a fully executed transfer of service form to Protection 1. As I type this review on February 21, 2018, that service is still not working. During the past 4 months I have exchanged more than 40 emails with Protection 1 and the former occupant of my building, and I have made numerous phone calls. For each of my emails and calls, the former occupant has made one as well. Yet, for some inexplicable reason, the service still doesn't work.

Two weeks ago I was advised that service was finally transferred to my company. I tried to set up the online account, but I was told I couldn't do so without an account number, and the account number couldn't be issued until Protection 1 came out to reprogram the panel (nobody ever offered to come out and do this). An appointment was set for the following week. Later that day my staff and I returned from a company function to find a notice on the door from Protection 1. A technician came out 5 days early and without any prior notice.

Yesterday I received my first piece of mail from Protection 1. It was a letter stating that I have a past due balance of $164.85 - for a service we have never been able to use! I called Protection 1 and was greeted by an agent who was of little help. She transferred me to the local office, where I was greeted by another representative who was condescending, rude, and mocked the fact that I don't have a password for the system (because it has never been reprogrammed). I asked to speak with a manager, to which he replied, No. That's not going to happen. When I pushed the issue, he promptly disconnected the call.

After 4 months, dozens of emails and phone calls, and being mocked by the staff at Protection 1, I sit and wait for a technician to remove the equipment from my property. I will NEVER use Protection 1 and I strongly encourage anyone reading this to look elsewhere for your protection and security needs. If you can't trust these people to handle what should be a simple administrative task, then how could you possibly trust them to secure your assets or your safety?

Good Afternoon Tracy,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me today and allow the opportunity to resolve some concerns. I will stay in touch with you while working with our local branch. Thank you.

Respectfully

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I completed by obligation and contract with Protection 1 last year, closed out my account and they closed out the auto deduct I had on the account. Months later I get a bill stating I still owe money? When I called to discuss, the customer support supervisor Herbresha was incredibly rude, unhelpful, had no answers why and simply told me I had to pay no matter what. No recourse. I would never suggest doing business with them for these reasons.

Hi Nola,

Thank you so much for taking my call today. I apologize for the final experience with Protection 1 but I do appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We definitely do not want another customer to have this experience. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any concerns. Thank you so much for your business and we would love to have you back if your needs ever change.

Rhonda

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I recently called ADT to get an alarm system because my apartment was burglarized during the holidays. I signed up and was very hesitant because of the 3 year contract that accompanied the package but thought I could take it anywhere so I will go along with it. I also had 14 days to cancel. I should of went with my gut. People please go with your gut and read reviews before purchasing anything accompanied with a contract. Turns out it was not ADT I was dealing with. I found that out by being on the phone for 2 days with ADT and them finally saying that they think I signed up with Protection 1. So there went my 14 day refund period. When explaining this to the Protection 1 rep they said I would have to pay $750 to cancel even though I was two days past the 14 day refund period. I am so sick and tired of companies ripping off hard working individuals this has to stop somewhere.

Good Afternoon Harambee,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I have you a voice mail with my contact information and look forward with the opportunity to speak with you.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

My review has little to do with the product of Protection 1 and everything to do with the POOR customer service from this company. I ordered Protection 1 for my house and as a pastor was very instrumental in ordering Protection 1 for our church. However, I recently put my house up for sale and moved to another location due to my job. Protection 1 offered to end my services for a $700 contract cancellation fee. I did not agree to this and yet they ended my services anyway.

I offered to pay for the monthly services until the house sold. Now they have and are harassing me endlessly. I have tried on 6 different occasions to work this out. Each time the customer service representative apologizes, then assures me that they have worked this out. I hang up the phone feeling good about the situation but then they call a few days later trying to collect the $700. There is nothing worse than poor customer service. This is a company that truly does NOT care about their customers. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY TO ANYONE.

Hi Pastor Rawls,

Thank you so much for taking the time to speak with me this morning. I apologize for your experience and appreciate the opportunity to address some of your concerns. I hope you have a terrific week and please don't hesitate to reach out to me with any concerns.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Be aware of this company. They came into our house and sold us nothing but lies. Protection 1 at the time offered a three year and five year contract. We signed up in the summer of 2015. The salesperson said that the three contract was a set price and stayed the same throughout the term of the contract. The five year plan would decrease every year after the first year and there would also be savings for auto draft. We signed up for the five year with auto draft. We didn’t realize that the amount taken out every month hadn’t decreased until December 2017. We called and tried to figure out why our bill hadn’t changed. We were told that they sub contracted sales agents at that time and that they were sorry that we were misled. They told us that we would be responsible to pay the same amount throughout the term of the five year contract and there is nothing they can or will do about it. We told them to cancel our service.

The retention specialist told us that they would first have to take us off auto draft to ensure we were not charged for any additional months and then they would send us a final bill through mail. Cancellation charge is 750$. We never received a bill in the mail. Well we just received a call from Protection 1 asking if we could pay for the last three months of our service. We once again went through the process of explaining everything that had occurred and why we want to cancel and why was our service not cancelled.

After talking to several agents then a manager we were told, "Sorry you feel like you were deceived by the original salesman but there is nothing we can do about the bill or the cancellation charge because we haven’t made enough money off of you yet." That was crazy. I am still in shock. We told them to cancel our service again and send the final bill in the mail. Please do not do business with this company. They are scam artist and unfortunately we signed our contract on a tablet. We did not get any documentation of our contract when we signed up. We were “taken”. I will pay the bill when we receive it and chalk it up to “stupid tax”. It is not easy to post something about being scammed because I feel so stupid for trusting the salesperson for this company, but I hope this will help people not make the same mistake. DO NOT USE PROTECTION 1.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Signed up 3 years ago for a business I own. Camera alarm system has not worked since day one after repeated phone calls to fix. Salesman was fine up until the customer agreement was signed then service went down the drain. Had to go round and round with them to get the equipment we agreed to installed. Asked about ending my contract as they are not providing the service I signed up for and was told since I had a business contract I would have to pay the full price of the remaining months left on my contract... Ridiculous, do not sign a contract with this company, which I guess is now ADT... I currently have 5 different business locations with ADT and will be canceling all services as the contracts expire.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I want to start out by saying that my complaint with Protection 1 isn't with how their equipment functioned, everything always worked just fine, my complaint is with their dishonest practices in how they treated my contract and have continued to rip me off. I signed up with Protection 1 after being allured away from ADT by a young college student who was going door to door nearly five years ago; at that point I signed up for a 3 year contract with Protection 1. A little over a year into the contract I had to move across country for work purposes; I was told they would be able to move me easily and that I had all these moving credits and would be taken care of. I moved into a new residence initially that would not allow me to set up a security system so being in a contract I continued to pay Protection 1 for a year, receiving no service, just an automatic deduction from my checking account every month, okay fine.

I moved out of that residence and into a new residence which I knew I would be at for only two more years before I had to move again. Protection 1 set up the new security system which worked great while I was there and then the time came to move again last month at the end of my two years at that residence. I called Protection 1 to let them know I was moving and needed to cancel my service, at that point I was told I still had 11 months left on my contract and would be responsible for paying the remainder of the balance, my question was what happened to my first contract. I was informed that a new 3 year contract was created when I moved in to my new residence, which was without my knowledge because I wouldn't have agreed to it due to the fact that I knew I was moving from that residence after 2 years.

I have been ripped off before, but never by a large company like Protection 1 and now it sounds like ADT is a part of the equation as well now. I received a bill in the mail stating that I owe $447.13 for services between 1/28/18 and 11/24/18; in total I will have been with Protection 1 for five years, of which, two years of those five years I will have paid Protection 1 for zero service other than having my checking account garnished every month and a bill sent to me for $447.13. I cannot consciously recommend Protection 1 in any way as a reputable, honest company and for that matter ADT now, because they are associated. Look elsewhere or you will probably lose a $1000 dollars like I did.

Hi Nathan,

Thank you so much for speaking with me today. I apologize for your negative experience and the inconvenience it has caused you. I have sent you an email per our conversation. I hope you would reconsider using Protection 1 in the future if your needs ever change. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me with any questions or concerns.

Rhonda

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I was a Protection One customer for 24 years and decided to negotiate a lower monitoring rate and upgraded equipment in April of 2017. Our rate steadily went up over the years and was approaching $50 per month. When I first called, I asked and was specifically told I did not have contractual obligations. I asked for a max rate of $25 and equipment upgrade as my stuff was over 20 years old. I was repeatedly thanked for being a loyal customer, and the gentleman told me he would get back to me. Never happened. Nobody ever called.

I proceeded to secure a new alarm system far technologically better at less than 50% of Protection One rates, with no contract. In June of 2017, I installed the new system and turned off, unplugged the antiquated Protection One system. You think they would call? Nope!! Just confirmed my suspicion of crappy monitoring. A couple of months later Protection One sent a bill with cancellation fees and monitoring fees that went way past the date I pulled the plug. How can you monitor something that’s not even powered up?

At this point I was done. Nobody ever contacted me from Protection One. Fast forward to Jan 11, 2018. Now they have submitted me to MLA for collections. I have tried 4 times to talk to someone at MLA With no luck. I tried calling Protection One and they directed me to MLA collections. Read the reviews and DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH PROTECTION ONE!

Hi Dale,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I would love the opportunity to speak with you. I have left you a voice mail with my direct number and look forward to speaking soon.

Protection 1 expert review by Erin Raub

Established in 1988 and providing coverage throughout the United States, Protection 1 is a long-standing leader in national security. The company offers wired and wireless systems with or without home automation, as well as pricing that is flexible and competitive.

• Flexible plans: Protection 1 offers flexible plans that you can customize to your home, your security preferences and monitoring options (e.g. landline or cellular).

• Home automation: Log into Protection 1's mobile apps for remote access to automate home lighting, see live security video, arm or disarm your system, control your thermostat, unlock your doors and more.

• Versatile equipment: Consumers can add remote door locks, night vision cameras, wireless doorbells, garage door sensors and more to create a home security system that perfectly meets your needs.

• Deductible protection: Protection 1 customers have extra protection in the event of a burglary. The company will cover up to $1,000 towards the homeowner’s insurance deductible. Interested consumers should see the website for specific details and restrictions.

• Referral bonus: When existing customers recommend Protect 1 to a friend who signs up for monitoring, the original customer will earn a $50 referral bonus. The bonus will be paid as an account credit.

• Best for: Homeowners, hands-off consumers and tech-savvy shoppers.

Profile picture of Erin Raub
Erin Raub

Alarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.

Protection 1 Company Information