Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.19/5

Get matched with the best Home Security System.

Since 1988, Protection 1 continues to grow and become a leader in the full service security industry. We strive to provide services to residential, commercial and national customers. We will customize your security system to fit your specific home or business needs.

Our 24/7 professional monitoring centers will be there to ensure your safety. Protection 1 guarantees when you call for help, you will speak with a real person. Keep your family and business safe - call today!

View More View More

Protection 1 Reviews

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Stay away from this company. I have been with them 10 years and we sold a lake house that we had their services. They say I have a verbal contract with them for 2 more years. They can't give me anything to show this to me unless I get a court order. So they want me to pay 750 to cancel them.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

Protection 1, now ADT has a terrible billing/customer service department. We have had constant problems with them. It started when our card on file expired (October) and the payment declined. Our fault we missed updating. No problem, we immediately took care of it and put a new card on file. We were told that it would take effect right away and nothing else would need to be done. Afterwards, for the next couple of days, we continued to get calls demanding we pay them because we were "overdue" so Protection 1 said. We kept providing the confirmation number and we kept getting the same excuse, "oh well you're on a call list and you must not have gotten updated." Fast forward to November's payment. We get another call, "you're overdue, we need you to pay, we can use the card on file...blah blah blah".

After some research, the card didn't immediately take effect like we were told. Again, we immediately paid the balance and got a confirmation number. The next day, I again received several calls, "you have a past due balance...blah blah". We provide the confirmation number and tell them we already paid. "Oh, you must not have been taken off the list. You're off now so disregard the call." Not an hour later....another call. "You have a past due balance". Come on Protection 1....get your act together. Train your people correctly and DO YOUR JOB! Terrible customer service. Terrible billing department. I could write more reviews on their tech team, but that's for another time. If you read this, do yourself a favor. Go with someone else or be prepared for total incompetence with this company. We are now getting rid of their service.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

I wouldn't recommend Protection One to my worst enemy. Junk equipment, and worst service. Do yourself a favor and search reviews before picking a security company. Or better yet, find a local security company. Since we switched, the nightmare ended. I can't say enough about how bad this company is...

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

I called several times over a month and told them to stop billing my card. They promised they would and bill the appropriate person. They also said in two conversations for me to look out for a credit to appear on my card. Needless to say it never appeared. My last conversation to complain was greeted with indifference and a claim that they had no evidence on their computers that I'd called, and yet they had the name of the new person to bill at their fingertips. Shabby company, don't use them.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

Worst customer service ever, leaving, not paying for this anymore. Can’t use it, don’t work, avoid them! Absolute worst customer service for an “alarm company.” She wanted to argue, told me to go to a hardware store.... yeah, ok, #byefelisha ...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protection 1?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

I do not recommend to sign a contract with these people. After I received an device for "FREE" they make me a tricky contract for 3 years. I never used it for my apartment and paid for almost 2 years of 3 years contract. Cancelation makes difficult and need to pay $500 + month +..=$600.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

Upgraded my system last month with this company and it hasn’t worked properly in weeks. Goes offline constantly, causing a very loud alert at all hours of the night until you acknowledge that you have read that your system is unable to work due to being offline. Think you can get someone out there quickly to resolve this problem? Is four days an acceptable window? Not to me it isn’t. Nearly everyone I have spoken with On various levels of their customer service is BEYOND rude. Really unhappy with my decision to keep this company. So you purchase this system to arm your home, pay a lot of money, and your home is unarmed 24 hours a day. What am I missing here? Don’t get me started on being promised camera install...didn’t happen. Trying to get ahold of someone to return to my home to finish the job is an actual joke.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

I'm up at 1:56am in the morning tired. My 80 year old father is up too, because we just upgraded a week ago but for some reason everytime I walk down my stairs my alarm go off and says my front door or garage door is opening. I call yesterday and they tell me a person will be out next Wednesday. I set my alarm last night. It goes off at 1:54am like someone breaking in. We all up running checking the house. No doors open. The alarm just went off on its own. I get a call and let the representative know what's going on. They tell me for someone to come see as a emergency call it will be $184. Hell no. We been with them for over 13 years faithful.

Then when they upgraded we find out my living room and dining room dont have sensors so anybody can break in those two ways and we always thought we had full protection in those areas and they want to charge me $280 to get sensors for those two rooms. Come on now protection 1. I'm gonna get rid of yall and go with vinvint security system because you all do not look after your loyal customers of many years and you treat like trash and think it's ok. I will be reaching out to the CEO of the company and let them know the treatment I have received and how I have to deal with this till they get a opening next week and how be up and cant sleep because I cant set my alarm because it just go off and your customer service and supervisors dont care per their response back to me.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I was a customer of theirs for many years but after buying an older home with an existing Protection 1 service I asked for upgrades and was told no... The service tech that came out to check out the service left the very old battery unreplaced and the back sliding door sensor didn't work... More visits didn't fix the issue so I changed companies and was then presented with a $750 dollar cancellation bill. Horrible customer service.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

My equipment delivered on Aug 2, 2019 and I was told my 20+ reps my commitment was complete. 2 months later I received a bill for $718.06!!! After being an ADT customer for about 25 years with excellent service, when I moved to OR I was forced by being a hostage into a Protection 1 contract. The service in OR began on April 20, 2019 and NEVER worked and kept giving me scary alerts that someone was in my house during the night and that my house was being burglarized when I was out of town. My friend said the keypad locked up and froze and she could not get it to shut off or take the code either....but that is another story. After a very scary false alarm episode when I was traveling the weekend of July 27-28 2019, I knew it was time to cancel service. This is the short version of the nightmare I experienced, lots more details I can not include in this few words.

I did have a 5 month window to cancel the service per contract which I did, since I did not feel safe in my own home using Protection 1 service. I diligently paid the last monthly service bill of $49.99. I got a return label from Protection 1 to send back my equipment which I also diligently did, and I have photos of all the equipment that I returned in case you need that I can provide. I spoke to about 25 different customer service reps throughout this whole process, mind you, who all said my responsibility had ended when I returned the equipment. The equipment was delivered on Aug 2 which I noted on my calendar and I called yet another rep on Aug 2 to confirm receipt. I was told it takes 30 days to fully process the complete cancellation of the account. I assumed all was ok since the tracking said delivered on THEIR tracking number that they sent me to use.

So since the equipment had been delivered ON Aug 2, I did not think I had to keep the tracking # as I assumed Protection 1 kept records of tracking numbers since they issued the return label themselves. No, I was mistaken and at that time I did not know I was dealing with a fraudulent company! So fast forward to 2 months after I KNOW the equipment was returned, I have now received a bill dated 9/25/19 for $718.06 for equipment not returned! So due to their incompetence of not keeping track of THEIR inventory and incoming shipments for TWO MONTHS, they seem to think I am required to pay for equipment that delivered back on Aug 2, 2019 since they are incapable of managing their inventory? I will not pay this as I DO NOT OWE IT!

Protect your property with a home alarm

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home security system for you.

Protection 1 expert review by Ben Mannes

Home security systems start at $34.99/month with home automation features available for an additional charge. Professional installation costs $99.

• Flexible security plans: Protection 1 offers flexible plans that you can customize to your home, security preferences and monitoring needs (landline or cellular).

• Equipment features: Add remote door locks, night vision cameras, wireless doorbells, garage door sensors and more components to create a home security system that meets all your needs.

• Security app: Protection 1's mobile app lets you control home lighting, see live security video, arm or disarm your system, control your thermostat and unlock your doors from anywhere.

• Deductible protection: Protection 1 covers up to $1,000 towards the homeowner’s insurance deductible. Interested consumers should see the website for specific details and restrictions.

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Protection 1 Company Information