It's that easy Request Information
1.47/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1988, Protection 1 continues to grow and become a leader in the full service security industry. We strive to provide services to residential, commercial and national customers. We will customize your security system to fit your specific home or business needs.

Our 24/7 professional monitoring centers will be there to ensure your safety. Protection 1 guarantees when you call for help, you will speak with a real person. Keep your family and business safe - call today!

Protection 1 Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

869 Protection 1 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I have been a loyal customer of Protection 1 for 17 yrs and in September of this year we moved out of state. There wasn’t any way we could transfer our service because they do not service our area. In May of 2017 we upgraded our system with them to include digital for my phone. When I went to cancel they said I would be charged a fee 'cause my contract wasn’t up till May of 2019. Then even though I called in September they didn’t put cancellation through till October 2 and charged me 62.99 for October. So I now owe them a balance of 475.46. They wouldn’t work with me even though I had been a loyal customer for so many years. If people are looking for a protection plan I definitely wouldn’t go with them. Not consumer friendly at all. Stay clear!! They only care about their contracts and taking your money.

Hi Charlene,

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. It is true you have been a long time customer and we value your loyalty. I am so sorry that this was not conveyed to you during the calls. I have left you a message with my direct contact information. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Rhonda

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Signed up for the do it yourself installation. Ended up being more expensive to hire an electrician than just going with ADT instead. Never set up the system and they refused to let me cancel without paying the full 3 year contract just months after signing up. Went through a separation and moved out of the rental home we were in. I highly suggest reconsidering any purchase with this company. Horrible customer service. Horrible business model. Absolute trash. Worse than DIRECTV. Go to Best Buy and invest in a Nest system. Far better across the board. Would not recommend ADT or Protection 1 to people I can’t stand. I will be reporting to the BBB and will do my best to keep this company from robbing any other consumers.

Hi Justin,

I have left you a message with my contact number. I look forward to hear back from you. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

We have been a Protection 1 customer for 18 years and the bills have increased with little information on the breakout of the increases. Recently we had the service start to alarm in the middle of the night for no apparent reason. They had us disconnect the plug and battery and could not a service tech to the house for nearly a week. The phone rep did mention that we had a good plan and possibly the service would be covered.

The service tech did a good job of debugging the problem, but did not inform me of the cost of the new parts. We recently received a bill for almost $650 half for parts and half for service. The Tech was here for a little over an hour and the service charge was $330. The hourly service charges should have been communicated when we called and the Tech should have told us how much the parts would cost before installing. At $70 a month and almost a $700 service bill has me looking at NEST system.

Hello Thomas,

Thank you so much for bringing this concern to our attention. I sincerely apologize for this experience and would love the opportunity to speak with you. I have left you a voicemail with my direct number, I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I've been a valued customer of ASG Security for a number of years without any issues. ASG merged with Protection1 and ADT, and it seems quality is suffering. I moved earlier this year and purchased a brand new home that had an alarm system wired already. I called ADT to activate the system, and they said it wouldn't be a problem. I reviewed the type of system/equipment that was installed and again, I was told that should be a simple activation. Then we scheduled a technician to arrive in a few days.

I rearranged my calendar to work from home and waited all day. He never showed up. Apparently, there was an issue with scheduling, but they didn't relay this to me. They scheduled another technician to activate the system a few days later. Again, I rearranged my schedule to work from home and had to cancel a few meetings. A technician showed up and spent several hours, trying to figure out the system. I informed him I had to leave to pick up my kids from school. He said he would need to come back the next day.

Day 3 of rearranging my calendar to work from home and missing out on key meetings. He arrived and was at my house for hours until I had to leave to pick my up kids from school again. He said he would need to come back for a 3rd day. Day 4 of rearranging my schedule, day 3 of this technician trying to figure out how to activate the system. I had to be home all day, which is a major inconvenience as I not only had meetings to attend but various other appts/errands, etc that I was unable to accomplish for the past 4 days. He spent the entire day at my house (again). I finally asked him what the delay is and why is this taking so long. He admitted he couldn't figure out how to get the system working and needed to have his boss come by to hopefully figure it out. I was beyond annoyed at this point, I told him the boss needed to be at my house by 10 am the next morning, I waited until 10:30 and had to leave.

The technician took the equipment that was in my house and nobody can locate it. He installed 2 ADT keypads and now they need to come back to remove the ADT equipment, or I will be charged almost $900. So now I'll have holes in the walls because they took my existing equipment and I have to return their equipment. So unbelievable. Fast forward a few months and I keep getting bills for the old house that we canceled service on. Now I've had to spend hours trying to get the billing squared away. Every time I speak with someone who says I shouldn't see another bill and it should be taken care of. I repeat this every single month. I would never use or recommend Protection1/ADT to anyone. This was such an annoying, inconvenient, and costly waste of time.

Hi Angela,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I did want to reassure you that your account balance is currently zero since 9/23/2018.

I would love the opportunity to speak with you and have left you a message with my direct number. Please feel free to give me a call. Thank you so much for your time.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

We purchased this system for my sons apt. First of all we weren’t able to attempt to install for three or four months. Then we attempted to install and could never get the alarms to work on any of the doors or windows. They didn’t fit properly. So we had the system but never used it. Did not even plug it in. We started to get bills demanding payment and we weren’t even able to install it. They were telling us they were monitoring and it wasn’t and never was turned on. We repeatedly told them they we weren’t able to use the system.

I paid for the system plus several months of service we hadn’t even used and I thought that was the end of it. Now after five months of my son not even being at that location I’m getting a letter telling us they have terminated our service for nonpayment and they are going to turn it over to a credit bureau. This is a scam operation. I have called them several times to try and rectify the situation to no avail. They are asking for us to pay almost $1000 for a service we NEVER used. BEWARE STAY AWAY! Go to Sam’s and buy a unit. Much better off.

Hi Cheryl,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I have left you a voice mail message with my contact information. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Rhonda

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protection 1?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I recently sold my property on the 25th of April 2018 and was looking forward to regaining service for my new build. In May I was told by the retention team that my services could be suspended for 6 months and I could reactivate once completed. However the build would run over the allotted time, I was then told service could be deactivated for $750.00 and that amount could be credited back to the account if I reactivate at the new address.

I agreed to those terms and anticipated the bill, all of my balances were paid in good standing. Now I am learning that my account was placed on a 60 day hold and I was billed for 3 months. No one even updated my billing address to where I could know my account was still activate and now I am being told I will be held accountable for a service I did not have! I am only learning of this once I received a call late September for past due balances. I have been told so many different accounts of policy and have become so confused on what is true and what is false!!!

I have been with ASG/Protection 1 going on 5 years and have never experienced such poor account management. I have been told 60 day freezes are incorrect and 90 day is the standard. Then I was informed by a supervisor, that 6 month is possible as well. They offered to credit my account for only 2 months and make me pay for a service I did not ask for. They attempted to have me keep my account active until Feb with me paying $411 in charges with no service and not even get my cancellation credit (which makes no sense.) When I asked to have my account closed numerous during my phone conversation they would not do so. I asked for a manager. They told me that they do not take calls. I was also told once I reactive service I would be billed for Nov-Jan even though I wouldn't reactivate until late Feb-early March.

Again me paying for service that I do not have, there was never an issue of me paying the remainder 24 months but what I don't understand the fact of being charged when I do not have service. I don't understand why if I'm constantly being given the wrong information and the billing was in part of mismanagement of my account, why should I be held liable?

Hi David

Thank you so much for taking my call earlier today. I sincerely apologize for any confusion or misinformation provided to you. I appreciate the opportunity to work on a resolution and keep you as a customer. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns. Have a great day.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I have been a customer of Protection 1 since 2007. I am in the process of upgrading my security system and naively thought that my current provider would be the easiest path. My initial conversation was excellent, as the representative presented a solution that suited my needs and he was able to explain the features and benefits clearly. I received a proposal and a request to perform a 'speed test' for my WiFi/internet connection. I completed the test and sent the results back to the representative.

One week later, I had not heard back from Protection 1 regarding an installation date. I called them and spent 45 minutes on the phone (before I had to end the call to go to a meeting) with no resolution. While I understand that this second representative was new, I believe camera placement should be driven by the security experts, not me. Additionally, telling me now that I must have an outlet within 5 feet of the camera seems ridiculous. I asked,"Couldn't anyone just unplug the camera?" To which the reply was, "At least you'll have them recorded unplugging it." She also suggested that I could move the cameras myself, if I did not like the views. Eleven years ago, we initially selected Protection 1 because of their expertise. It seems they are no longer a leader in the industry.

Hello John,

I am disappointed to hear of your experience and it sounds like you have received less than our best. My sincere apologies. I have left you a voicemail message with my contact information. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Was a customer for 21 years; my system is old so they sent a tech out to fix two sensors. By the way the tech did not anything about my system. I knew more than he did. They want to charge me $367.29 and the system has not worked since they came out. I called immediately to report it was not working. I have called 6 more times, spent many hours on the phone, and still I cannot get this fee off my bill.

Hello Judy,

I apologize for your experience, I would be disappointed and frustrated as well. I have left you a voicemail with my contact information. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

We used Protection One many years ago. We let the contract expire and all seemed fine. Now we are getting calls from a collection agency saying we owe about $200. When I explained we hadn’t used their services for at least 15 years, they said the account was turned over to collections in July 2005! This is the first we’ve heard of it, and it certainly sounds like a scam. How does an account go to collections without any notice first? And how does a debt collector wait 13 years to make the first call? Really? We didn’t owe anything back then, and certainly don’t owe anything now.

Hi Joy,

I am sorry to learn of your concern. I am unable to access your account with the information provided. I will send you an email with my contact information. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I got the do it yourself kit. When I got it I had to leave the apartment I just rented for mold issues for over a month. I moved back in and was gonna try to hook it up, the sensors would not line up so I called to see if someone could come out and help. They refused to send anybody several times. So I never used it since nobody try to help. I sent it back because what's the point of having it if I can't use it anyway. Then try to cancel. They said I owed them 750 for they did nothing for me. When I was told if I canceled early it would be 76 dollars. They did nothing to help me. Poor customer service. I really felt like I was left out to dry.

Hi Jeff,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. Unfortunately the DIY agreement does not include professional install or technician visits. However we do replace equipment at no charge. I have left you a message with my direct contact information and look forward at the opportunity to speak with you. Thank you,

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Updated on 10/26/2018: I was thrilled when a rep reached out to me. We talked on the phone and I was supposed to get a follow up via email - and nothing. I’m having issues again and tried to call that rep and - nothing. I’m hoping that I wasn’t scammed by someone pretending to be from this company.

Original Review: I’ve been a Protection One customer since 1999, through several moves and relocations for work, and now here at my home for the past 12 years. Two years ago, I wanted to cancel as I had an aging system and there are so many alternatives out there. I called and was convinced that they could install the latest equipment - including cameras - for less than I was paying for month on the old fashioned system. After asking a ton of questions, including things like having control over bypasses, panel sounds and early alerts for low batteries in monitored detectors, I stupidly signed a 60 month contract. We have special needs kids and old sensitive dogs who really are thrown off by smoke detector beeps and other loud noises.

The technician was not great - I got the feeling he didn’t want to figure out how to run the wires for the outdoor camera, and so he fed me some story about how it wouldn’t be effective outside (I really wanted it there. We’ve had many things stolen off our porch). He then conned me into paying him personally for a CO detector he had in his truck - which I just noticed tonight expires in 2021.

Anyway, I’m disgusted that the detectors are no better than my battery ones when they need new batteries. They beep and chirp and the panel screams at you when you try to make any changes. You cannot bypass those in the system, and there’s no way to even turn off touchpad beeps on the panel - or even to turn them down! So these are really first world problems, but when you have a family that is super sensitive to this stuff, it’s a real PITY. I really hope they get their business together and make these systems customizable like their competitors. I feel like I was sold stories and don’t have the flexibility I believed I was getting with Protection One.

Hello Amilyn,

I am sorry to hear of your experience. I have left a message on your cell phone with my contact information. Please feel free to reach out to me. Thank you so much and I look forward to hearing from you.

Rhonda

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I had ADT for many years...and they were fine. Moved to an area that ADT didn't service and they suggested Protection 1 (which I think is owned by ADT). I purchased a wireless alarm system and a 3 year contract. I installed the system in Feb 2018 and have had nothing but problems with it. The first sensor failed within a month. In the last 6 months I have had to replace 2 sensors, the camera doesn't work anymore and 2 more sensors are bad that they will not replace. Their customer service is helpful until you complain... and then you are blacklisted and they don't care anymore. I am paying 100% full price for a system that works 60% of the time. It is a garbage system with no support after a few months. I WANT OUT OF MY CONTRACT FOR YOUR GARBAGE SYSTEM!

Hi Kevin,

I am so sorry to hear of your difficulties. I have left you a message with my direct number. I would love the opportunity to speak with you. Thank you and have a great day.

Rhonda

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I'm so beyond frustrated that after 10 YEARS!!! I'm getting a collection call today?? Why?? I called and canceled. They said they would cancel, Since I was moving and contract was over at 2 years. But now and 10 YEARS later now a ridiculous collection agency is doing threats. Just Great! Thanks to Protection 1. Destroying a loyal past customer credit.

Hi,

I am sorry to hear of your experience. Unfortunately with the information provided I am unable to access your account. I have sent you an email with my contact information. I hope to hear from you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Before I last renewed my contract with Protection 1 over the phone, I told them I was selling my house in the near future and asked if that would release me from the contract. They said of course. Now I just sold my house and recommended them to the new buyers who booked an installation. Since I have Protection 1 at another address, I assumed I could have the referral bonus that is usually offered. I called to cancel and was told that I owed over $200 for the rest of the contract and that I also had to pay an extra two weeks until the new owners had their installation appointment. Absolutely no referral fee. (I had the service for seven years and another property with the service for six years, so I would have thought I was a valued customer who should be treated better.)

I told him that I never would have renewed had I not cleared this first and that I was told I would not be responsible if I moved. He told me it was probably a word misunderstanding between "moved" and "sold." Are you kidding me? When I said I would cancel my other property too, the service agent finally told me that as a compromise, he would drop the remainder due on my contract, but no referral credit. He kept telling me that they had a AAA rating with Better Business Bureau. That does not help me. I will start looking for another alarm company for the future. Simple transactions should not be this difficult.

Hi W C,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience, this is not what I want for our customers. Unfortunately I was not able to access an account with the information provided. I have sent you an email with my direct line and I would love the opportunity to resolve any concerns.

Rhonda

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I ordered a self-install system from ADT (Protection One) and paid for next day service to my mountain cabin. The cabin had been broken into and I need the system ASAP. I paid for next day service on Thursday to get the system on Friday so I could get it installed before I had to drive 120 miles back to my home. I did not receive the package and another call to Customer Service got me the response "Oh, we don't ship on Fridays." I told them that I had to go home, and to ship to my home address (where I have had ADT installed for 25+ years). This morning, I get a notice that the package has shipped and will arrive tomorrow... at the cabin!

Hi,

I apologize for your negative experience, this is not acceptable. I want to thank you for taking my call and allowing me the opportunity to resolve your concerns. I look forward to providing you service for many years to come. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Rhonda

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

A college age student working for Protection 1 knocks on the door selling their product. I know I am moving in a few years because of an aging family member, and I ask about the procedure. I'm told by her that Protection 1 comes and takes the equipment with me to the new place. She doesn't have a paper copy of the contract to give me because she is only equipped with an iPad. She promises me to drop one off in my mail box. Yeah that did not happen. I sell my house 2 years later and call to change my service. Guess what I don't have the password to do so. I have to jump through hoops; send copies of my signature. I get my new password; they put my account on hold. Only after informing me they do not come out and relocate my equipment. I finally find a new home and call to reactivate service only to find out that I have to enter into a new 42 month contract or pay the remaining months on the old service for the old house.

How does their service link to an address and not a person. I was forced to move to a new house due to medical reasons, handicap accessible. But I cannot have my security service transfer. They just want to keep me on the hook all tied up. This is not customer service, this was tell people whatever to get them signed up. How about employees being accountable for misleading clients. I feel so cheated. I just want a secure home and to fulfill my obligation without being pushed into a corner. And for the customer service agent who told me on the phone I should have read the fine print on the 8-inch iPad screen.

What a joke. I asked a question and was lied to, that was my concern from jump street and the agent either lied or shot out an ill informed answer. So they tell me they will send me to collections. Let's see how that works. At best there will be a settlement for pennies on the dollar. Instead of them providing me with my remaining service at the full amount. I want to pay for a service I agree to, not be forced into something I did not.

Hi Jim,

Thank you so much for taking my call today and sharing your information with me. I have passed along our conversation to your relocation representative and he should be contacting you soon. I will stay on the account until we have resolution. Thank you for your patience.

Rhonda

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

This company has been nothing but a headache since the day we installed service. First they charged my account twice for 2 months straight. When that was finally resolved we had to have several technicians come out to fix our faulty equipment. Which ultimately we found out that it was never installed correctly in the first place so after a year we had been paying for service that we weren't even receiving. My entire family was left vulnerable because of their technicians continuous mistakes. So after I called about this and the fact that we did not receive all of our window sensors as stated in the "Contract". They sent another technician out to install the sensors.

Now fast forward to 7 months later we are selling our home and no longer need the service. To my surprise when I called to cancel the service I am unable to do so due to a NEW CONTRACT for the new sensors. WHAT!!! To anyone reading this STAY AWAY FROM ADT & PROTECTION 1 unless you want to sign your life away.

Hi Amber,

I am so sorry to learn of your negative experience and sincerely apologize. I tried to give you a call and unfortunately was not able to leave a message. I will attempt to give you a call again tomorrow. I look forward at the opportunity to working on a resolution. Thank you and have a great evening.

Sincerely,

Resolution response: Sept. 6, 2018

Almost immediately after posting this comment, I received a call to my cell phone as reported by Rhonda with Protection 1 on this site. Ironically Rhonda was able to reach me when their accounting department was not for the last 2 years! Thankfully, Rhonda informed me that it was an error on the part of Protection 1 and that I did not have a balance due. Protection 1 withdrew my case from the debt collections agency. I confirmed with the debt collections agency yesterday that my file was closed as instructed by Protection 1. Although it worked out fine in the end, this was a stupid problem that could have been easily resolved when it arose. Calling and sending mail to the address of a house that Protection 1 knew that I no longer owned or lived at was not good business practice. And it resulted in unnecessary anxiety on my part and expense for them.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

7 year customer, sold home, moved out of state and canceled service. Protection 1 allegedly wrote and called me at old address about money owed. They had other ways to contact me! Don't know what I owe for and neither does the bill collector! I'm angry!

Hi Sheila,

I am so sorry for your negative experience and understandably angry. I have left you a message with my direct number and hope to have the opportunity to speak with you soon. Thank you.

Rhonda

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

We agreed to let Protection 1 install a security system in our home in August of 2015. They were looking for customers to use their systems and display signs in their front yards for advertising. We were told we would only be charged the monthly monitoring fee of $34.99 and that there was NO CONTRACT. We were also told that if we moved they could move the service to a new home for free.

Fast forward 3 years. We just moved, and my wife contacted Protection 1 about moving our service. While they were prepared to install new equipment, they could no longer honor the monthly price we had been paying, because it was a “promotional rate.” Additionally, we would have to agree to a 5 Year contract. We were unwilling to sign a contract, so we asked for them the cancel our service. We were then informed that we were in the middle of a 5-year contract, and that in order to cancel we would have to pay $839.76.

We informed the customer service representative that we were told there was NO CONTRACT when we allowed their system to be installed in our home. We requested that they send us the documentation showing the 5-year contract. After several requests for this information we were sent one document with what we believe to be forged signatures! I contracted Protection 1 again explaining this. I was told that they had multiple documents with our signatures on it, as well as a recording of a “Welcome Call” acknowledging the contract. I requested that all of the documents with our signatures be provided, as well as to hear the “Welcome Call.” After multiple requests for Protection 1 to send us all the documentation, we have only received the same one document 4 or 5 times. I have also been told that to hear the “Welcome Call,” I will need a subpoena!

We have explained to multiple representatives that this situation is completely unacceptable, and that we needed another solution. The best they could offer was a 42-month contract at an increased rate, and an activation fee, or a payoff of $750.00 This still not an acceptable solution! We are beyond frustrated with their horrible customer service and unethical business practices!!!

Good Afternoon Peter,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

I have left a voice mail with my direct contact number. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

We had a terrible experience with Protection One alarm system. We had to sign up for a 3 year term contract. During this period, the services we received have been less than optimal. Technicians were unable to rectify our alarm system issues. Holes were drilled into walls (and now we have to spend the time and money to patch it up). We spend extra money to buy additional equipment recommended by the technicians to improve our service to no avail. We tried to cancel the service, but was told our contract lasts 3 years and we have to pay the contract in its entirely even though we were not receiving the service we paid for. This alarm system is not worth your money nor time.

Hi Chris,

I am so sorry to learn of your negative experience. My sincerest apologies that you received less than our best. I have left a voicemail message with my direct number and would love the opportunity to speak with you. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Resolution response: Sept. 9, 2018

Rhonda is a wonderful person for taking the time to contact me numerously to 1. Resolve my issue and 2. Ensure that my issue was resolved and everything was situated. She definitely goes above and beyond to ensure that everything was settled accordingly. I am definitely grateful for her and for taking the time to contact me to take care of the issue! I had tried to contact ProtectionOne customer service to find a way to settle the issue but the lady I spoke to wasn't very helpful, so I can't thank Rhonda enough. You are awesome!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

When my husband and I signed up with Protection One, we informed customer service over the phone that we would only be needing your services for 1 year since we were moving into a 1 year rental home. They failed to notify us that it was a 3 year contract, for an early termination fee of $750. Why would we sign up for a 3 YEAR contract if we specifically knew we would only need their services for ONE YEAR?!? Maybe because they failed to let us know it was for a 3 year contract... So not knowing this still, after our 1 year was completed, we called to ensure it was completely paid off & cancel their services. They stated there was NO balance after our last payment & NEVER mentioned that there was going to be an early termination fee, nor that we still had 2 years left on our contract. We only just found out there they lied and there was still a balance, & that it was sent to the collection agency??? Seriously?

We called to properly pay everything & you hit us with another charge & ETF & get back to us after it's already on its way to the collection agency? WHAT KIND OF COMPANY IS THIS?!?! How is this legitimate when we have services with your company for a year and we specifically notified your employees that we would only be renting for ONE year ONLY?!?! And ADT we have had for YEARS & this is how they treat their customers?!?! Wow. I guess being their part owners of Protection 1, I am hesitant to give ADT my services anymore either!!!

Hi Crystal,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I have left a message with my direct number to work towards a resolution. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Resolution response: Aug. 14, 2018

I would like to change my review of this company!!! Rhonda has gone above and beyond to find a solution to the problems that I had. She reached out to me personally last week to help me to understand my system and to get it in good working order. I wish that all of the customer service reps were like her! She is terrific about listening to the problem and finding a solution to make everyone happy. I had wanted to end my contract with Protection 1 immediately ,but after speaking with Rhonda my husband and I decided that we would rather stay. Thank you so much for taking the time to speak with me and teach me about my system.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

These people have done nothing but lie to me from day one. I got an alarm with these people and was told that my bill would drop after paying on it for 2 years, never was I told that if they lowered my monthly payment that it would require me to start my contract over. I have had this alarm company for over 3 years. My system has NEVER worked correctly. I have motion detector cameras that worked for maybe a year as long as I changed the battery in them weekly, yes I said weekly, and the batteries are not cheap, they tell you to use the lithium batteries in the cameras. We finally gave up on the cameras since the batteries were costing me roughly 30.00 per month. My alarm bill is already 50.99 per month which is outrageous compared to others. I asked to buy my contract out since there is only 11 months left and they told me it is my monthly rate times the amount of time I have left on my contract. That was never mentioned either.

These people are thieves!! This company is a huge RIP OFF!!! Never use Protection 1/ADT! Which I may add that I signed my contract with Protection 1 and not once has anyone mentioned to me that the company taking over my alarm is ADT. I only found out by calling to complain about what a crappy alarm system they gave me!! I will tell everyone I know not to use this company. When I called to inquire about my service the rep could only apologize but offered no solution, this place is HORRIBLE! I want out of my contract and I feel that I have given them plenty of money for the crappy system they installed.

Hi Jeanna,

I appreciate you taking the time to speak with me last week and would love the chance to follow up with you. I wasn't able to leave a message unfortunately but I will continue to reach out to make sure everything is to your satisfaction. Thank you so much.

Rhonda

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

My wife and I have always rented apartments. My wife has used ADT for the better part of 10 years and she has been happy with them. Up until today 7/8/2018 never had an issue. The issue today seems very dishonest on someone’s part and because my wife used them for a number of years she didn’t think anything about it a year and a half ago but I’ll let you decide.

We moved from one apartment to the another and we were planning on canceling our ADT because we wanted to get ready to buy a home and didn’t want to be under contract with them anymore. At that time we were told you still have a year and a half on your contract so you can pay a fee or we can transfer service for you. Keep in mind we still are talking to ADT. We chose just to transfer service since we didn’t want to pay a fee and we would just cancel at the end of the contract no big deal. Somehow we got switched over to Protection 1. I read a few forums and learned there was a merger so we thought nothing of it, happens all the time.

Now here’s the fun part,. We called today to cancel and were told that we still have 18 months. Apparently when we switched ADT wasn’t doing apartment installations anymore so anyone who wanted security had to get a DIY kit. The kits are from Protection 1 so we were not technically ADT customers anymore and the paper we signed was a new 3 year contract with Protection 1 because ADT couldn’t service us. Meanwhile none of this was explained just that we would have to install it ourselves because ADT couldn’t anymore. Nothing was said about signing a new contract or switching providers.

After getting on the phone with Protection 1 they said it should have been explained by ADT about the new contract which is complete crap considering we wanted to cancel to begin with. So they got us to pay for another 18 months by omitting stuff and also locked us into another 3 year contract. I’m all for reading contract and deals like that but when you have 10 years of no hassle experience with a company you learn to trust them. Well our trust was abused by ADT or Protection 1 it’s my fault for not reading word for word the contract but the used a crappy business tactic when they learned we wanted to cancel 18 months ago.

I will never recommend ADT or Protection 1 to anyone or support them in any way. I will pay my $700 fee and leave them. Do not trust ADT or Protection 1. Also side note we never used the Protection 1 equipment because at first we were waiting a month for the installer then we found out it was a DIY then we just never installed it ourselves. But those 18 months we had it Protection 1 never called to see how the equipment was doing or why it wasn’t set up. What if we did set it up and it was faulty but we didn’t know. They would have never followed up as a courtesy. I will be leaving this same review on ADT since they are considered the same.

Hello Mr. Weigand,

Thank you so much for taking time to speak to me about your experience. I sincerely apologize that you received less than our best. I look forward to speaking to you soon. Again, thank you for your time.

Rhonda

Original review: July 25, 2018

On July 13th, wrote an email to customerservice@adt.com inquiring about converting my alarm system from a landline to cellular. On 7/14 they promptly responded stating that I had to call an account specialist. So I called spoke to a representative and she provided 3-4 options as choices. After all was said and done, I requested to get my options in writing so I can better make a decision and be specific on what I am getting on each. After a few days called again and informed them that I never received the options email which was promised, again I gave the information, verified the email and then received an email which was incomplete from the following email (**). I responded and advised him to please include all the options which were discussed.

So he complied via email and we went back in forth trying to narrow down all the specifics. We finally agreed on option three, which stipulated that my rate would remain the same, I would pay an amount for the cellular communicator (installed) and no contract. So I requested to get a new proposal with what we had agreed and discussed. I sent several emails requesting this information so we could move forward. I then receive an email from another associate (**) with a different proposal and not what we had previously agreed. I responded and added ** to the conversation as well as attached the email where we were in agreement and stated that what was sent was not our agreement to please see attached.

No one responded so I sent another email and still no response. This is rude and not professional and I find it unacceptable to be treated this way with the runaround and ever changing terms of what we agreed. I have been a loyal customer for 19+ years and never had any customer service issues until now. Is this the new ADT customer service? I never had a problem when it was Protection One. This is very disappointing and frustrating and would like to have this rectified as soon as possible.

Protection 1 response

Hello Pedro- We are sorry to learn of your experience. Please be advised that Protection One accounts are not accessible to ADT. If you're having concerns with Protection One, we're happy to reach out to them on your behalf. Please be encouraged to forward your E-Mail chain to AlwaysThere@ADT.com, for this purpose. ~Tréchell

Original review: July 22, 2018

I originally signed a 3 year agreement when I was renting. I moved into a different rental less than a mile away, and had Protection 1 move my service. I was told by the sales person that the contract would not be extended since I purchased the equipment for the new rental. I completed the full initial 3 year term. At the end of my lease I cancelled the service and then Protection 1 billed me for the remaining months of a contract that I was told would not be extended. I complained and told them that I was specifically promised that the contract would not be extended since I had no plans to rent beyond the term.

I had numerous conversations with several Protection 1 representatives in an attempt to get my dispute resolved. After not hearing back from Protection 1, I assumed upon further investigation, they saw I had completed the initial contract. We recently applied for a mortgage and I learned that Protection 1 reported to the credit agencies that I did not pay the bill even though I fulfilled my 3 year obligation. This goes beyond unethical. I will be filing complaints and notices to the BBB, the Attorney General's Office of SC and NC.

Hello Mrs. Merriman,

Thank you so much for taking time to speak with me today. I know they are just words, but I do apologize for your experience and the inconvenience this has caused you. I will be sending you the email that we spoke about shortly. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me with any questions or concerns.

Rhonda

Original review: July 21, 2018

I have to say the this was very difficult to fix. I have been a customer for over 3 years. However my contract was for 2 years. So I decided to cancel my service from Protection 1, I called the service line and got some lady but because I forgot my password and they refused to help me then I asked for her manager (Andrew). He told me I had to send an email to ADT customer service and send them information to them just to get on my account so I could cancel it. So I sent the information. He told me to but that wasn't enough. I had to also send a copy of my signature to them.

Finally I was able to call customer service at Protection 1 to cancel my service and all of a sudden they told me that they were going to charge me $600.00 more dollars. I am a disabled veteran and had all these problems but that wasn't enough for them. Then when I told them I don't have to pay that money they started threatening me over the phone about how they were going to send this to the credit companies to ruin my credit... I have to say if you read this I don't recommend you use this company. Very bad...

Hi Stan,

Thank you so much taking the time to speak with me. I apologize for your experience and look forward with following up with you on Friday.

Sincerely,

Rhonda

Original review: July 7, 2018

We used Protection One for years until we sold our house and moved. I called and cancelled. The lady asked if I wanted to transfer my service and I said no since we were going to an apartment. Fast forward more than a year later and we get a letter from a collection agency saying we owed $354.45. No explanation. I called Protection One and was told we cancelled under a contract. Not true I said. That had expired. Then she said it was because we didn't cancel. Well which one is it? The account says we had been notified. Total lies. We had given forwarding addresses and our phone numbers have not changed. I pored over my email accounts and saw nothing. The woman on the phone agreed that it would just be my word against theirs. I will be filing a complaint with the Attorney General after I get the breakdown of the charges.

Hi Sue,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I have had the opportunity to review the call from 5/4/2017 and would love the chance to speak with you. I have left you a voice message with my direct number. Thank you for your time.

Rhonda

Original review: June 21, 2018

This company installed alarms in two of my properties, a duplex. While doing installation (a third party installation company) they sent incorrect information to ADT causing the addresses to be switched. This is an unforgivable mistake. They also said that "They were not responsible for the 3rd party setup". How is that possible? You hired them... you are responsible for their work. Additionally, they don't work on the weekend, I was unaware that crime didn't take place on the weekend. The live operator I spoke to when I had an issue told me incorrect information that police were not dispatched when the alarm went off and I was not home. I was frantic. Just horrible service, horrible quality, horrible people to assist you - who don't care to help you. I do not recommend at all.

Hi Sophie,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience and apologize for any inconvenience it has caused you. I have left you a voicemail with my contact information and look forward to speaking with you soon. Thank you in advance for your time.

Rhonda

Original review: June 4, 2018

Well back on May 6th, my Protection 1 box keep saying network failure. I know enough about network so I moved the box to another location. Then it quit working completely on March 12th. So I called in and they said I had a bad cellular card. “We will send you one.” I live in a bad area of town. I asked to have shipped to my office. They assured me that is where it would go. Didn't. Came to my house and was stolen off my porch May 18th. They sent me another one and I got the tracking early enough to find out it was going back to my house. Called Protection 1. They said they would get in touch with FedEx and have it sent to my office. Nope sent back to them May 23rd, so I call again. Get another one sent out to me. Finally get this one hook it up May 31st.

I use Verizon cell phone and have 4 to 5 bars at my house hooked it up. Done what they said. Didn't work, they said I need a bigger antenna. So today June 4th I get my bigger antenna. No this still doesn't work, so now they claim it is my box that is bad. I asked them can't they send someone to fix this. I'm getting tired of waiting and shipping stuff around. They said no they don't have local offices. However what is this I found. 2148 Pelham Pkwy, Building 700, Pelham, AL 35124. I told them I was willing to pay for a service call and have someone come fix this. They said I have to wait on a label box up my unit send them the unit once they get it and figure out the problem. I will get another unit.

So I have been without service for now a month. You think after everything I been through they would do something more to help. Sure free month is nice but I'm unprotected. I have already spoken to a lawyer and if I get broke into for them being stupid we are going to sue Protection 1. I'm ready to box everything up and get my money back and go with another company. This is a wasted of time and nothing but a bunch of liars and people that don't care about the customers. They have my credit card on file and charge me every month. What the hell would it hurt for them to overnight me a new one. I box up and send my old one in. This place needs to be sued.

Good Afternoon David,

Thank you so much for bringing your experience and concerns to our attention. I apologize for your experience, it does not meet our expectations for customer care and is not excusable.

I have left a message for you with my contact number. I am hoping that I will be offer resolution to you. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: May 29, 2018

Had some work done recently and found out my Platinum Protection Care had been removed in Nov. 2015 when the company changed from ASG to Protection 1. My account # is **. I was told by Cindy from account management that someone requested a reduction in the bill and to remove the Protection Care. Cindy has no records before Nov 2015. Cindy said I was paying approx $39.00/mo and it was reduced and the protection care plan was removed. I told her I have been paying $31.95 for years and pulled out a bill from 10/04/2014 with a rate of $31.95.

This is extortion. I asked to speak to her supervisor and Cindy told me that no one would speak to me or call me back, and that she was the final word. She did say that the call was recorded, so there is evidence. I just want a phone # of Cindy's supervisor or someone that can help me with this dilemma. One problem is that I was originally with Vulcan Security which was bought out by ASG, Protection 1, now ADT. Please respond with a phone # or phone call.

Good Afternoon,

I apologize for your experience and would love to have the opportunity to speak with you. I have sent you an email with my contact information. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Protection 1 expert review by Erin Raub

The company offers wired and wireless systems with or without home automation, as well as flexible pricing. Choose from 6 packages for $34.99-$54.99. Systems have 3-5 year contracts, with warranty options of 3-years or 90 days. Self-installed and professional installation are available.

• Flexible plans: Protection 1 offers flexible plans that you can customize to your home, your security preferences and monitoring options (e.g. landline or cellular).

• Home automation: Log into Protection 1's mobile apps for remote access to automate home lighting, see live security video, arm or disarm your system, control your thermostat, unlock your doors and more.

• Versatile equipment: Consumers can add remote door locks, night vision cameras, wireless doorbells, garage door sensors and more to create a home security system that perfectly meets your needs.

• Deductible protection: Protection 1 customers have extra protection in the event of a burglary. The company will cover up to $1,000 towards the homeowner’s insurance deductible. Interested consumers should see the website for specific details and restrictions.

• Referral bonus: When existing customers recommend Protect 1 to a friend who signs up for monitoring, the original customer will earn a $50 referral bonus. The bonus will be paid as an account credit.

Profile picture of Erin Raub
Erin Raub Alarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.

Protection 1 Company Information