It's that easy Request Information
1.31/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Our 24/7 professional monitoring centers will be there to ensure your safety. Protection 1 guarantees when you call for help, you will speak with a real person. Keep your family and business safe - call today!

Protection 1 Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

901 Protection 1 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 4, 2019

After numerous false alarms, I got rid of them after 26 years. They cause me to be fined by the Suffolk County Police Dept. Due to the false alarms. After dropping them, they had the nerve to bill me $55.00 with a threat to ruin my credit score. I never renewed my contract with them and canceled service. They lied right to my face and if I could only post the letter they sent I would gladly do it. After making them wait for several months, I'll send them the $55.00 just to end the worst experience ever. No wonder ADT took them over!!! Buyer BEWARE!!

Good Afternoon,

I am so sorry to learn of your difficulties. I have left a voice mail message with my direct number and look forward to speaking with you.

Rhonda

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 1, 2019

To Whom it may concern, I have been with ADT since 2013, I recently moved to a new residence in December right before Christmas (December 21 to be exact) and I was informed that ADT did not service this area but their sister company would be able to assist me. Being that I had nothing but pleasant experiences with ADT I didn’t expect to have any issues with the sister company Protection One, I did some shopping around and decided to stick with what I was already used to being that Protection One was associated with ADT, the price I was quoted and agreed to was $53.48 after taxes, well needless to say, I have had nothing but issues and constant charges or bills from day one with Protection One and I’m sick of it.

The current bill I received for this month is no different. This is upsetting and disturbing being that ADT referred me to use Protection One being that it is a sister company but the service is far from what I received at ADT. When I first signed up, I was told that I needed to pay a fee or charge which was $64.49 cents which was debited from my debit card on 12/17/18 (four days before I moved).

After I moved in, I saw that my new residence had more windows than we expected (we were shown a model unit before moving) so I called in and asked for more sensors being that we only received three, I was then told by an employee in your sales department that I would need to pay $264 for I believe 5 or 6 more sensors, when I refused and decided to get off the phone the “sales rep” quickly dropped the price and we came to an agreement of $84.99 (which was still pretty expensive, for a new customer but also gave me the feeling of being at flea market haggling prices).

This amount was charged to my card on 12/31/19, we are now at a total of $149.48 and I had only been in the residence for 10 days and I hadn’t even activated the system yet. Doesn’t this seem like a problem? Now to top that off, one of the sensors I received just happened to have a bad battery, which was discovered while I was activating the system, the representative that helped me on this occasion was very helpful professional and apologized and stated they would ship me another sensor at no charge to me (at least that’s what she told me).

I then receive a bill at the beginning of January for $96, due by the end of January, now please just place yourself in my shoes, I’m a somewhat new customer. I have paid your company $149 in 10 days and now I have another bill for $96 and I haven’t lived in my new place for a full month?! Does that make any sense? Now let’s fast forward to 1/19/19, I received another bill in the mail for $53.48 (which is what my bill is supposed to be), but since I have just shelled out quite a bit of money I call in to confirm what is going on here, I log on to my Protection One account and my bill reads I owe $60 and not $53.

Confused, I call in to the customer service and I spoke with a woman named Audrey and explained all of the issues and she stated that I was charged for the sensors I purchased back in December, I explained to her that the amount I paid was for the shipping and sensors and she stated, "Well we don’t show you paid anything," I told her I’m looking at the charge on my account now. Audrey’s exact words were “well sir if you don’t have anything to hide, just send us a picture with your bank statement to the Protection One e-mail”. I immediately asked to speak to her manager and he was a lot more helpful and maybe had access to reports that Audrey didn’t have because he was able to see the charge, he got it cleared up and I ended up having to pay $12.

After this was said and fast forward to February I got my bill which read zero dollars, was due I was shocked and called into Protection One just to make sure this was accurate given every issue I have had with this company up to this point I didn’t want to take any chances, after speaking with a rep I was told that no I don’t owe anything for this month, I also asked to make sure my bill would still be the same amount ($53.48) and that is what I will need to pay in March and this was all confirmed.

Now I was thinking this was behind me with all of the charges and now today, I received a bill from you all which is $83.89, I can’t describe how irritating and ridiculous this is to have to deal with this much nonsense and confusion as a customer in this short amount of time. Can someone please explain this to me and get this corrected, I’m tired of this. There seems to be a break down in communication, policies and customer service within your company because this is by far one of the worst experiences I have ever had.

Hello,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience and sincerely apologize. I reviewed your account and understand your concerns. I have left you a voicemail message with my direct number and would love the opportunity to speak with you. Thank you in advance for your time.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

On February 22, I signed a contract to continue service with this company and have them upgrade my system for free. A technician came to my home and said they could not render services because the contract was never signed. Apparently the contract must have been disapproved on their end and I received no notification that this occurred. I also find it questionable as to why a technician was dispatched to my home if they were aware of the contract issue in the first place. I was already on the fence of whether I wanted to stay with the company. In fact, my purpose of calling the company on the 22nd was to cancel the service anyway since I spent two years haggling with them to upgrade my system, but was sweet-talked by one of the sales reps to stay. Now I just want my account cancelled so I can move on to a company that values loyal customers.

Good Afternoon,

I am sorry to hear of your negative experience, this is certainly not what we want for our customers. I have left you a voicemail message with my direct number and would love the opportunity to speak with you.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I always try to be fair in my reviews. I will start off by saying that their customer service are polite and courteous when dealing with them. Their Alarm app that they use is user friendly and convenient as I have other features like door locks added to system. Due to my "job" (and I'll explain where this becomes amusing) I had Protection 1 (now ADT) come out and install a security system with a firefighter module that picks up the detectors sounding and sends a signal to the alarm company (EXTRA COST FOR THIS SERVICE). I recently changed my Smoke/Carbon detectors because they were old. I replaced the detectors and called to let them know I would be testing the system. They stayed on the line while I tested the system and to my surprise they never got the signal.

Their module picks up the signal but it never notified the panel and the alarm company never seen the signal. So I ask for a service call and took the day off. (If I do not work I don't get paid on my second job). They never showed. I called back and nothing came of it. I was at that point contemplating cancelling their service but again didn't because I was under contract. And honestly the hrs I work I put it on the back burner besides there is usually someone home during the winter months. So to this point I am paying for a service that does not work. So today I get a letter stating that my contract is coming up and they will be raising my rate $1.40 for "exceptional service." Yup that's what it said. Well I lost my mind.

I called them up and explained my frustrations and told the customer service rep that I could care less if it was 5 cents. It was the principle and I am seriously thinking of just cancelling the service. The rep was extremely polite but decided to feed me a line of crap which I let him get it all out then called his bluff. I am not sure if his supervisor told him to tell me this or he decided to run with this on his own. But here it is... He tells me that the service call from before was never put on the board. It showed the date but never placed on the "service board" and this is why they never came out. He then says, "While I had you on hold I looked into this and we have seen this issue before. A lot of times it's the homeowners smoke detectors and the wiring is not correct or up to date. We ask you to have a licensed electrician to come out and verify that all the wiring is correct before we come out."

So trying to not lose my cool I asked, "Please explain to me if my detectors worked before and the wiring was never touched as they are simple plug and play and they are the exact same detectors. Further your "firefighter detectors" pick up sound only (no wiring from detector to the fire module which is theirs and runs on radio signal). Please tell me why I need to pay an electrician at $60+ an hr to come out when your detector lights up when the smoke detectors sound but the signal doesn't reach the panel and the alarm company doesn't get the signal?" He asked me to hold... He came back and said, "Sir I looked into it some more and it may be your detectors and "because of the strict Fire Code Laws in Massachusetts my fear is we may have to take the module out and not be able to replace them."

So I asked, "Oh really?? Can you tell me more about this law??" Here is the amusing part. I have been a professional firefighter for 20+ years and am a certified Arson investigator as well as a Fire inspector. I am the one who goes to the homes and test them and I advise homeowners of the LAW 527 CMR!!! Then I politely told him about the law and the specific section of the law that relates to the smoke detectors. SILENCE...

I did let him off the hook and just moved forward to fix the issues rather than unleashing on him. I felt ripping him a new one even though I was that mad wouldn't solve much... Now to the average homeowner based on this representative would be on the hook for lost time and money for hiring a electrician and a tech not wanting to deal with the issue telling the homeowner it was their issue... Charging them based on that or the tech just taking the firefighter modules out thus leaving the homeless safe. So many would just cancel.

Like I said I want to leave a fair review. I have decided for the time being not to cancel because 1) my contract is not up, 2) They decided to not to raise my rate (smart decision on their behalf), 3) I am used to the service including its quirks, 4) They have assured me there will be a tech at my door on a specific date to fix the issues and 5) unfortunately there isn't much competition I currently know of that has the services they have. There probably is. I just for the moment don't have the time to have this whole service ripped out and a different one installed only to find a different kind of problem. When spring comes maybe I will change this and be able to find a better service.

One other point. My son has set the alarm off coming home from school early. They are not consistent with coming online to ask if everything is ok or notifying you via phone. Sometimes they don't even come online through panel. Others it's 10-15 minutes after... A lot can happen in 10 minutes. This was something I also brought the their attention when I first called for last appointment and was told it had to do with merger and it was being addressed. Can't say if this has in fact been addressed or not as I have not set the alarm off by accident in some time.

Good Afternoon,

We appreciate you taking time out of your day and sharing your experience. I am disappointed to know that you have not received our best. I have left you a voicemail message with my direct number. I would love the opportunity to speak with you.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Had call about getting camera installed and had to make payment over phone. When tech arrived he suggests not to install and order different camera equipment which that what I was supposed to have from beginning. Tech talk about 10 minutes and left. I call tech and ask about how I will get my card credit. He said call customer service. It’s been 14 days and they deducted a payment out the money that’s owe me and still telling me it’s going to take 5 to 7 days. Poor service.

Hello Steven,

Thank you for bringing this concern to our attention. I apologize for the delay as I can see the delay in the processing of the refund. I hate that you have had this experience.

I was unable to leave you a message on the phone but have sent you an email with my direct number. Please feel free to contact me with questions or concerns.

Rhonda

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protection 1?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

We canceled an upgrade installation 2 weeks prior to date as well as giving a 30-day cancellation notice via email, phone call (sales agent and customer service) and fax to be effective 12/31/18. I have called 1/31/19 (Megan and Heather/Billing Manager), 2/6/19 Jean (Accounting) and called today 2/15/19 and was put on hold, no one ever came back on the phone. I was told everything was canceled and any payment made we would be refunded. We were still charged in Jan, Feb and a bill is out for March. I want my refund and my account canceled.

Hi A,

Thank you so much for taking time to speaking with me this morning. I feel terrible this was your last experience with our company. We strive to give the very best in customer service and knowing that you received less than the best is disappointing. We will review the account to make sure this doesn't happen to other customers. Please keep my number and feel free to call me with any other questions or concerns.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

When I moved to my current house 8 years ago, I had my security system with ASG then it was changed to Protection 1. Last week on the evening, I left my house and armed the system before I left. When I came back, window in front room was broken, front door was open, and my system was unarmed. I called the police and the Protection 1 that night. Protection1 sent a technician to my house. To my surprise all the wiring for the system was installed above the drop ceiling in the basement. That part of the house was not secured by the system. it means anybody could get to my garage, mess with it and disconnect the system from there.

I found a video on YouTube that exactly explain how it can be done (I have it if anybody wants to see it). I called Protection1 and asked for history event on the equipment to see if the equipment were tampered with (the guy who installed my camera told me to ask for it), but they said it can't be done. I paid my monthly fees and depended on them to protect me, but they did not do their job right.

Hi Suzan,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I have left you a voice mail with my direct phone number. I hope to speak with you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Their devices keep malfunctioning causing you to bypass sensors when turning on the alarm. You have to pay for them to come out and fix it and if it malfunctions again the next day, you have to pay again each time. Their front image sensor doesn't capture any images either and will run out of battery constantly.

Hi Punit,

Thank you so much for bringing your concerns to our attention. I sincerely apologize for this experience as this is not what we want for our customers. I have left you a voice mail with my direct number. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I was reached out by a salesman from Protection 1 to switch my hotel’s fire alarm monitoring system. I have explained current problems I have with the company I am using and problems with my alarm system. Also, told him I have deadline to get things done set by state homeland security. He offered me that they are one of best and they can provide better service since they have the best technicians out there, so I will not have to worry about a thing.

After agreeing to go with them, technicians came out to prep the new communication installation and then they said they would have to come back since they have brought incompatible equipment to my fire alarm system. Apparently, salesman did not correctly gave them right model number of my fire system. So I have asked them about problems that I have mentioned to salesman, and they said nothing of those issues were mentioned to them. I have explained them the problem and they said they can’t do anything about that since it’s not in their work order and told me they will have make a note since those issues should repaired before the installation.

After few days, other technicians came and they still was not aware of those issues and they could not continue the installation until those issues are repaired. So I called the salesman to ask why these problems that I have told him was never mentioned to operation department and he said he did, but seems like they never got the message. After days of calling and frustration to get repair scheduled, salesman sends me a contract estimated work order of 32 hours to get the repair done and told me actual invoice could be different depending on how long they work on the repair, could be less or more.

They finally came and repaired issues which took them less than half day. At this time I was about 2 weeks past my deadline that was set by state home and security. I finally get a reply after many emails and calls from salesman saying the installation can be scheduled after 4-6weeks. So I have told him forget the installation and I will not get monitoring system from them. And he passes the phone to someone else saying that I’m giving him ridiculous reasons and his fellow worker should hear this. “Hey, you need hear him.” Is what he told his fellow worker. So I talked to the fellow worker and he said he understands why I do not want to go with Protection 1.

So I asked the salesman to send me final invoices of all work. All these took more than a month. First reached out in Sept. 7th, 2018 and getting to repair problems I have mentioned from the beginning was done on October 17th. Now this time frame is without the installation of equipment to be installed. After asking for final charges, which was Oct. 18th, 2018, the salesman sends me email yesterday, Feb. 7th, 2019 (almost 4 month later) and invoice shows there was 31 hours involved. I replied and told him that technicians were here to repair less than that and he replied that operation department told him technicians were on site multiple days.

I am at the site all the time and when repair techs arrive I always go and see them since I am the only person that has keys to electrical room which they need access to. I have asked him to provide me work report for what and when they have done and he sends me saying they only provide all one bill, which basically means he can’t provide me work report. What kind of company does not have work order report? I have told him I am not going to make payment until I get these report.

This was the worst customer service from salesman. Promises are never kept, the most frustrating communication. I should’ve checked how bad this company reviews were before I trusted his fault statements and assurances. It’s almost a scam. THE WORST COMPANY I have ever dealt with in my 10 years of business career. If he want to get paid for ACTUAL work they did, he better get things right without a scam.

Hi David,

I wanted to follow up on our conversation from last week. I did receive your email and forwarded this information to the branch management. I will follow up with them for a response. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns while I work on a resolution.

Rhonda

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I so wish ADT had not merged with Protection 1. They are rude people; Marla, Deuane, & Alicia especially! They have not a clue about professionalism, comprehension, & listening skills! If I were you, I would think twice before signing up with this company. I have been through too much with this company to write everything that happened to me. No, I do not care to speak with anyone else from Protection 1. I just hate they are using ADT's reputable name.

Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you have received less than the best from us. Thank you for sharing your experience, we do value your feedback. If you change your mind and would like to speak with me, please let us know. Thank you for your time.

Resolution response: Feb. 9, 2019

Rhonda was most helpful. She was very understanding of the matter and could not refund me the money that was already submitted, but she cleared my account balance of the cancellation settlement offered based on the previous cancellation fee being process as a credit rather than a cancellation of the account. She was very compassionate and made me feel comfortable and confident in the resolution.

Thank you again, Rhonda from Protection 1.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

When me and my husband first bought our home we were contacted and signed up with Protection 1, the service was par, no real complaints. 2 years later we switched to another company as the service was not as consistent as when we first purchased it. And the new company offered upgrades and the buyout of our contract. I signed a cancellation authorization and the $750 check was sent with it to cancel my contract in August 2017. All was well until I noticed that the automatic drafts started back up September 2018. When I noticed in January 2019 I called and explained my situation and I was given the runaround and even those at this point I’ve already overpaid over $200. They insisted that I must pay another cancellation fee!!! At first they said I needed to send in a cancellation request and they never received one even though it was obvious that the $750 sent in was their cancellation amount.

But instead they applied it as a credit to my account which is why I stopped being billed. Now they want another 300 to settle. It’s very sad that they would do this to anyone, a member of the military, and a new mom. They have no morals as a company and take advantage of anyone and lie to their customers. I’m very disappointed in this company and would NEVER recommend them to anyone. I’ve always paid my bill on time and followed all procedures but because I don’t have a copy of a letter sent and a certified proof that they received it they will not honor my cancellation as of 2017 and want even more money. I can only imagine how many people they have scammed and lied to. One person says one thing and then another representative says you have to call and talk to someone and mail in a cancellation. All they care about is money.

Hi Amanda,

I am sorry to hear of your experience. I have left you a message with my direct number. I am working on pulling the call as the quote given is not our policy. However we want to honor the request if quoted. I look forward talking to you soon. Thank you,

Rhonda

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Purchased a home Nov 2016 and shortly thereafter had home security system installed paying >$500 for that. The service was provided locally by the same company that delivers oil. I always called in my monthly payments. In November 2018, my bank statement had an unauthorized charge so followed-up to dispute. Turns out ADT bought the contract from the local vendor and without my consent took payment as an auto draft. I spoke w/ ADT rep and demanded they put the money back and not help themselves to my money again. I got push back big time. The person I spoke with said the contract now belonged to them and they had the right as my account came as an auto debit.

I called the local company rep who said mine was about the 10th call that morning. In the end, the local co contacted ADT to correct them and the money went back into my account. I searched reviews online and it did not take any time to find reviews as posted here. It's nothin' but a shakedown. There is no service. It's all about the money and they have little tolerance for a dissatisfied customer. It's a contract, they bought it and they want their $750 to part ways.

Got a call tonight from Protection 1 (seems my account has been demoted) while at work asking for "their money" as I have not sent them a dime. When I asked, "Isn't this a shakedown? I did not contract with you. I'm not using the alarm system that I paid for. You're not doing anything for me. I'm not asking you for anything, but you're telling me IOU $130 or I have to buy out at $750." Gangsta!

Do not contract with these cons. Read these reviews. It's not about providing a service/taking care of people. It's contracts and money and hostage taking. Pay up or what? I hope better business bureau gets up in your business! Where do you find the people you have running the collection calls? Not a little ole lady just yet and will not let your nasty employees intimidate me. Did not contract with you. Don't want what you have to offer.

Hi Barbara,

I am so sorry to hear of your concerns with the acquisition. I have left you a message with my direct number and will send you a copy of your contract. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I called to cancel our monitoring today (1/25) with Protection 1. Because we have it set to auto-pay, we paid for services on 1/23. I asked if that will be refunded, and she explained that even if we didn't have auto-pay set up, we still would have received a bill for 30 days after cancelation. What? She explained that it takes 30 days to cancel service. This makes NO sense to me. Cable can cancel same day, Sirius XM can cancel same day. What makes it so hard to cancel alarm monitoring same day and refund the pro-rated portion of the paid invoice? Makes zero sense. I will not be returning to Protection 1 in the future. We will find another provider.

Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me. If you should have any more concerns please feel free to contact me. The number that populated on your caller ID would be my direct number. Thank you.

Rhonda

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

We signed up with a small company called Fleenor when we first moved into our home. They were bought out by Protection 1 a little less than a year into our service. We sold our house after 4 years and moved out of state to an apartment, where we wouldn't be able to utilize this service. We called Protection 1 and they assured us that we could end our service if we had someone from the apartment send a letter saying we couldn't continue. They then started calling over and over again before we moved and during the move to ask us if we were going pay the bill and/or continue service. We advised them that a letter would be coming and we still intended to end service.

AGAIN, we were told that would be fine. This is when the incessant calls began. One day we would talk to someone who would tell us one thing and the next something else. Finally, we spoke to a girl who assured us that they were unable to find our original contract and would have to end our service based on the missing contract. WEEKS WENT BY, and we were called again and we provided the name of the girl who told us we were out of our contract and suddenly no one had ever heard of her. The person let us know that no one could find our contract but we were not getting out of our account. More weeks and phone calls go by, they still cannot find our contract and are still calling and threatening to send us to collections. ALL THE WHILE THEY DON’T HAVE ANY RECORD OF ANY PREVIOUS CALLS.

Eventually, 2 months later someone digs up our contract and we have to continue paying for the service even though we don't live at the house anymore. So every day we get a robocall letting us know that there is a problem with our system. We have lived in Texas for 6 months now... So that's 180+ calls that we have received from Protection 1. What respectable company lies and harasses their customers? We can't get out of our contract until October 2019 so we have to deal with the incessant and annoying calls and emails from Protection 1 for a system that we haven't had for months. If I could go back in time I WOULD NEVER HAVE AGREED TO SERVICE WITH THIS BOOTLEG COMPANY. We were forced into by a buyout. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. They seem to have amnesia when you catch them on something.

Hi Lauren,

Thank you so much for taking my call today. I have processed the request to cancel the account without penalty. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns. I sincerely apologize for your experience and appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Rhonda

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I was with Protection 1 for 21 years. Ever since they merged with ADT I have had complaints with the service. Last year my alarm went off at 2:30 at night while I was sleeping. I turned off the alarm and waited for a phone call asking if everything was all right. The call came in about 20 minutes after the alarm went off. Thank goodness there was not a burglar in the house! I called to complain about the tardiness of the call and the rep I spoke with said she would have a supervisor call me. I was never called. I called back a few days later asking why a supervisor hadn't called me? They arranged to have a tech come and he found my battery needed replacement. How good is a protection company if they aren't concerned with the protection of their clients?

A month ago a neighbor called to tell me my alarm was going off. I called Protection 1 and they told me it must be a neighbor's alarm because they had no notice of the alarm. I said my neighbor is the one calling me! Why isn't the alarm showing up in your system? Again, an alarm is only as good as the company monitoring the system. I called to cancel their service and was told that I was under a 5 year contract until 9/23/20. I do not recall being under a contract. And it wouldn't be a problem if I was happy with the service. But I am not. After 21 years of loyalty, the response I received from Quinn was that I would have to pay $750 to break the contract. BUYER BEWARE. ALL THEY WANT IS YOUR MONEY AND THE HECK WITH SERVICE!

Hello Betsy,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me today. I sincerely apologize for your experience and am truly disappointed that we are losing you as a customer. We have valued your many, many years as a customer. I have processed the account per our conversation, but my offer still remains on the table should you change your mind. Please keep my number if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you.

Rhonda

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I am beyond disgusted with what I just learned yesterday. Before I deployed in 2015 (June timeframe of that year) I had switched home security companies; from ADT to Protection 1. The selling point to me was that I was expressly told by the Protection 1 sales associate that I would NOT be under contract with Protection 1. With this knowledge they took care of the switch from ADT to their services at Protection 1 and I had a few upgrades done to my existing system.

Sometime later, unbeknownst to me, ADT bought out Protection 1. Most likely when I was on deployment. I NEVER signed a contract and NEVER was asked to update anything in order to be under a contract. The rub: my wife and I wanted to switch to Ring, so I called to cancel service yesterday... Protection 1, now a subsidiary of ADT, is stating that I am under a 58 month contract; backdating to when I did the switch from ADT to Protection 1!!! And it will cost $800+ to break the contract.

I expressed this situation to them and told them that I signed no contract... That I only signed the release form allowing Protection 1 to deal with ADT in order to gain my services. Now it seems that I am back under ADT and magically have this contract that somehow I signed while out on deployment. I asked for proof of this contract and they said that they would send it to me via email immediately... I have received NOTHING from them and yes, I made sure that they had my correct email. There are no documents on their website either that state contracts. I feel that this is not legal and I do not know what to do without getting screwed out of $800+. I have contacted the legal office on base and currently waiting for a response. This is completely unprofessional and disgusting for anyone to be treated this way.

Hi Justin,

I am sorry to hear of your experience. I have left you a message with my direct number and look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Had service for 19 years. Price would go up every year. Finally call to cancel service. Got a nice rep that cut my monthly rate by half June 2018. I have done away with landline and call today to cancel. Was put in touch with a manager Jesse and was told that I had 5 months left on contract. Didn't know I had a contract after 19 years. Seems that when I called and got a reduce rate they also wrote a 1 year contract. I was told I would have to pay the 95.00. Seems to me after being a loyal customer for 19 years they would have waived it... Oh no. BE VERY AWARE OF THIS COMPANY IN ANY COMMUNICATIONS YOU MIGHT HAVE. And there is no service doing the next 5 months.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am so sorry that you had this experience. As a 19 year customer we value your tenor and hate to lose you as a customer. I have left you a message with my direct line. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

After moving into a new home we contracted with what we thought was ADT, a service we had previously used in another state. When the equipment was mailed to us we contacted the local ADT company to come to install the service. We were told at that time we had to install the service ourselves, which is not what was communicated to us at the time we agreed to the service. Also, we were confused when the Protection 1 equipment was delivered since we thought we had contracted with ADT. I do see now, that ADT acquired Protection 1, but it was not evident at that time. Once we realized we had to self-install we knew this was not the type of service we had previously had in another state and we decided we did not want the service. The equipment was never touched and still remains in the box. We contacted Protection 1 to let them know this was not the service we expected and wanted to cancel the service.

We were told it would cost us an exorbitant amount of money to cancel, so we continued to pay for the service although it still remains in the box and has never been installed or activated. A year later I called to cancel the service and the company still wants to charge an exorbitant amount to cancel a service that has never been activated and still remains in the box it was delivered in. This is a company I would never recommend to anyone and the opposite of good customer service. I will do my best to make sure no one I know contracts with ADT or Protection 1. I can't think of worse service, as I have been told I have to continue to pay monthly for two years for a service I have never activated or used. In today's climate, good, quality companies understand the importance of the phrase, "the customer is always right."

Hello Lydia,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I have spoke with your husband and will be sending a return label. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I relocated for a job across the country, and had to live in an interim location that was highly known for crime. Every morning the news would report 2-3 deaths by shooting and burglary in that county alone. At midnight in October I experienced not one, but two break-ins within the same night while sleeping. I know this because the first time my apartment alarm went off, I got up to my front door open. After I called the police, my alarm went off again, and this time my window had been smashed.

Terrified, I called Protection 1 at 7 am the next day to see if they could service the security system in my apartment. They told me they could not, and even though I explained this location was temporary (30 days) they eventually convinced me to run my credit, charge me $40 for the service, and set it up myself since I could not afford a technician. Fast forward to a month later and I am able to relocate, and I never set up the service.

In the process of moving I forget about the box, and a year later when I relocate again, I notice it, and call protection one to cancel. I am on the phone with them for over an hour, where they tell me they can't access my account without my verbal password which I tell them, and they tell me it's not correct. they tell me they are not going to help me, and they'll email me a reset password. ( they never did).

At this point I don't even have an online account because I've never made one, so I create an account and verify my verbal password is exactly what I told them. I call again and get transferred to the most rude, arrogant, sarcastic, and cocky account manager who tells me she doesn't care that I'm cancelling (I believe her name was Bridgett) and then asks me if I would buy more services from her. I tell her I never used the service, it's still in the box, my account shows that Protection One made monthly calls to my box and they always failed because it was never installed, and they never contacted me to see what was going on. If they had called, they would have known I didn't set up the service, and I had relocated.

The rude account manager tells me even after a year of service that I've been paying for it's $750 to cancel. I'm upset, because I called to set up a service out of fear that I told the sales person was temporary, and he failed to tell me it was a multiyear contract and he pressured me to sign asap while I was on the phone or my apartment would continue to be prone to break-ins.

I have continuously explained that I could not set up the service because it was not user friendly, and I cannot transfer the service because I'm living with an individual that already has a security system. So now I must continue paying for a box that has never been used until the end of 2020, all because I was sold a product by a salesperson using a fear tactic, instead of them allowing me to return the box. I let the account manager know I'd be leaving reviews and she told me to "go for it." I would reconsider my experience and review of Protection 1 if they did the right thing by letting me out of my contract since they pressured me to sign while over the phone, and not allowing me ample time to review.

Hi Sierra,

Thank you for taking my call today. Again, my apologies for your experience. I have submitted a request for the return label. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

From start of service we have been lied to about the product, what it offers and the terms of a contract. This contains a lot of details so am unable to write everything down; would take a long time. Our most recent, again, our system isn’t working properly. I scheduled appt to have repaired, again. Was told if I scheduled an 8am appt that I would be the first one of the morning. We run a business out of our home. It is now almost 10am, I have rearranged my schedule to fit this and am still waiting. I called and was told it doesn’t work that way and I will have to wait as the technician is with another customer. I don’t care that he is with another customer and neither do I care if I’m not the first one most all the time but I specifically made this appt for early and was specifically told I we be the first appt because I had other this going on. If I couldn’t be the first at 8am then tell me that, don’t lead me on on the phone but not follow through.

Protection One will lie and and say things to get you to agree to something and it isn’t the truth and then they tell you it wasn’t said. Like being told we could try a camera because the one we had from them wasn’t working and it wouldn’t affect our acct and we could return it if it didn’t work. We tried it for a little over a month it definitely didn’t work so I called and told them that we could bring to them or have them pick it up. We were told that we owed them and would be charged every month accordingly and that our contract was extended due to the change. I asked to hear the recording of the conversation was told they listened to it but they wouldn’t let me hear it. I will NEVER use ADT or Protection One again. Our contract is up in April, never again. We have been customers for a very long time and it has been one lie after another locking up into another extension. These people are a rip off.

Hi Cynthia,

Thank you so much for taking my call today. I apologize for poor communication with the service call. If I don't have a time for a service call today, I should definitely next week. Please keep my number if you have any questions or concerns.

Rhonda

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Switched from ADT to Protection 1 because there was 1 year left in our contract. Did the on your own setup and called CS because the system wasn't working and because they sent me a system that belonged to someone in NY. 06/01/18 - The CS Rep sent me a return label via email and the system was returned. Well, someone took this as being our system that was returned and not the extra or wrong system and inactivated our account. I didn't realize they were no longer debiting our account monthly until I received a call that I was past due.

07/24/18 - I called and was told our service was inactivated because I returned the system. Explained yet again that I did not return our system, but one that was sent to us in error. Was told I would get 1 month free and the system would be reactivated in the next 24 hours. I just had to go to alarm.com, but was told a CS would call to help setup. Got the call, but nothing worked. All the time, I am getting 2 calls minimum a day, but when answered no one ever says anything even when it goes to vm... no message EVER left.

10/12/18 - Called a few months later and the CS rep said she sent an email to the alarm.com people to reactivate the system and once she receives a response she would call me back. Waited and had to call them after 13 days on 10/25/18. Spoke with 5 CS reps including one that said she gave all the info to her Supervisor and he would give me a call with a resolution. 10/31/18 - Waited 5 days then I called them and asked to speak with this Supervisor... He was out and so they left a message on my account showing that I called.

12/27/18 - Decided to try again almost 2 months later, because I am still receiving Collection calls (as one of the CS reps told me)... spoke with a rep and she was trying to help, but said I needed a new cell cord... I asked if we just return the equipment and call it a wash, she said no. So here I am again... Waiting on a call back from the CS rep who in fact wanted to tell me off (you could tell she held her tongue) when I told her it's their fault I am in this predicament. All I did was return equipment that was meant for someone in NY... trying to do the right thing... Will never use again. Never had an issue with ADT, but Protection 1 is another story!

Hello Oretha,

Thank you so much for taking my call today. I sincerely apologize for your experience. This not what I want for my customers and understand your frustration. I have noted the account with our conversation. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any concerns.

Rhonda

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

We have been serviced by Protection1 for 8 years, ever since our company moved its headquarters to Los Angeles. In 2015, our corporation changed its business name, and therefore, contacted Protection1 to change the name of the account. I called Protection1, and they asked me to put in the inquiry via email. I emailed them, and they got right back to me stating to sign the document to set the account with new name. Without any suspicion, I signed the document and they changed the name of the account.

After 3 years of using service, I contacted Protection1 to cancel the service because we had to relocate our headquarters overseas. When I contacted Protection1 to terminate the service, they informed me that I signed off a 5 year contract in 2015. I explained to the customer service representative that I requested for a name change back in 2015 and did not open a new service account. The representative informed that I signed off a new account with 5 year contract, and had to pay an outrageous termination fee of $1,584.00 after issuing a fee adjustment of $600.

I am furious with Protection1's actions for: 1. setting up a new account without informing me that they were setting up a new account when I simply asked them to change the name on the account 2. not informing me that I am signing off a new contract with a 5 year term 3. expecting me to pay off the full remainder service fees.

If I knew that I was setting up a new account with a new corporation name instead of changing the name on the account, I would have asked about the terms and read over the document more carefully. However, because the sales representative gave me false information and tricked me into signing off a new contract, wouldn't you agree that this was clearly a fraudulent action taken by Protection1?

I have the name of the sales representative who tricked me into signing a ridiculous contract as well as the emails he wrote to me. In all those emails, he did not mention that he was setting up a new account, and yet, here I am stuck with an outrageous termination fee that Protection1 is expecting me to pay. I even provided all the emails and proofs to Protection1 stating that I was scammed, but they ignored my statements and proofs. If Protection1 continues to demand for the termination fee, I will report this issue to the consumer affairs department.

Hi Jee,

I am so sorry to learn of your concerns. I have left a message with my direct contact information and look forward to the opportunity to speak with you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Recently upgraded my home from the Ademco Vista system to their new Alarm.com system so I could arm/disarm etc. from my cell phone. To upgrade I had to sign a new extended contract. After the new installation (to which the installers did not follow instructions provided at the contract signup call) we had repeated issues with the new Image Sensor. Several false alarms later they dispatched a technician to troubleshoot. This is within a week or two after installation. During the phone call the operator states my system doesn't have a warranty so they had to charge. I told them it is BRAND NEW and she relented stating they would "waive the charge". My wife stays home to meet technician and he moves location.

Within a week it triggers another false alarm. Call again. Said they would normally charge but would "waive the charge." Okay. In the meantime need to bypass the sensor to arm. Wife stays home again to meet technician. He replaces the sensor. Within a day, sensor malfunction. Find out technician did not pair it right. Fix that. False alarm again. Again told I have no warranty but would "waive the charge" after reviewing case file. Told them I don't want it, replace it with traditional motion sensor. Dispatch technician again. Technician at house says he can't replace it with motion because..."not under warranty". They can replace it with another image sensor. Told technician just going to false alarm again, then wife has to stay home again, and repeat cycle. Told to just remove it.

Protection 1 used to be customer-oriented before being purchased by conglomerate ADT. Now you can tell they want to charge for everything and have crappy cheap products. After my contract is up (stupid me for signing for 3 years) I'm going another route. Zero problems with old system. Stick with yours if you have it, not worth new contract for substandard products. Have been Protection 1 customer for 6 years, been great. Not the same Protection 1 experience anymore.

Hi Shane,

Thank you so much for taking time to speak with me today, it is truly appreciated. I sincerely apologize for this experience and as I said not one that I want for my customers. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Rhonda

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I own several rent homes and had moved most of my security monitoring business away from Protection 1 due to poor prior service. I had one property though where the equipment needed updating so I asked Protection 1 to start new monitoring service out there in order to get new equipment installed. This was in June. Starting in July, I started getting billed a second $39.99 to go along with the only other rent house that was using Protection 1. I thought all things were cool (two homes, two charges) until mid-November when my tenant called to say that there was a short in the wiring that caused the alarm to go off at night for a couple of days. Since Protection 1 neither called me nor the tenant I called support and asked why they didn't contact us. They stated they didn't have a record of that address being a Protection 1 client. I then questioned why I was being charged for services I wasn't getting. They also didn't show that I was being charged.

After escalating to "management" on two different occasions and being told they would definitely get to the bottom of this, I received no return correspondence. I got a hold of another manager who basically told me I was lying since she couldn't find that they were monitoring that home or that they were charging me double. I sent her my bank statements showing her the double billing (some on the same day, some a day a part) and a week later I told them that we had the service call paperwork from June and the voicemail from them calling a week later to ask how the install went. She didn't reply to that bit of information either.

It's been since before Thanksgiving that I started this and still have received nothing back, even after threatening to get my attorneys involved. In the interim, I stopped the auto-drafting of my credit card and have disputed the past 6 months of double billing (yes, they did it again in December) with my credit card company. I have also begun looking for a new monitoring company for the house they don't seem to have a record of but unfortunately am stuck with them on the other property until August of next year. Their customer service and lack of communication is atrocious and I will be glad when I am fully free and clear of them.

Hi Kris,

I am sorry to hear of you experience, my apologies for the inconvenience. I have left you a message with my contact information. I hope to hear from you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I have been a Protection 1 customer for about 10 years and even installed two more systems in my children’s homes. Recently I had 5 windows and a door in my home replaced. The installers made certain the wires were still exposed so they could be set with the security sensors. When Protection 1 came out, the installer reconnected all, charged me $125 and left within 30 minutes.

Two months later I received a bill for $700. I was certain it was a mistake. When I spoke to customer service about this the rep could not explain much except to state the bill was not an error. I asked the name and contact info of the local manager and was told they could not divulge that info!! I spoke to two more reps over the last month and finally felt forced to pay it otherwise they would report a credit problem. I told three reps I felt they were taking advantage of me as they never advised me that 30 min job would cost $700. I surely would not have agreed. It is very disappointing they have treated a loyal customer so badly.

Hi Connie,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I have left you a voice mail with my direct number. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

After a failure of part of the system the tech turned off that part of the system and left the house unprotected. After trying many times to get them to correct the problem I gave up and ordered another system and cancelled Protection 1. Now they want to charge me $800 cancellation fee. That is the thanks you get when you have been with them for 33 years. It seems the only thing they care about is your money. Think twice before you have anything to do this company.

Hi Arthur,

I apologize for your experience and thank you for sharing the information. I have left a voicemail with my direct number and look forward to speaking with you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

My husband and I have been with Protection 1 for about 4 or 5 years now. We've never had an issue until this past July. We bought a new house that had an ADT system installed. I called and asked if the current system at the house would be compatible to use with the Protection 1 system, after looking into it I was told the current system in the new house would be compatible but they would be to install an updated keypad. So I made an appointment for a tech to come out and do that. We went ahead and transferred service to our new home.

The tech showed up to install our new keypad but proceeded to tell me the current door and window sensors would not be guaranteed to work with their system and if any of the sensors failed they would not cover them. He contacted someone for pricing info on new sensors, motion sensor and fire alarm. He told me it would be $300. I let it be and went ahead and had him install new sensors and keypad.

Fast forward to this last Monday night, November 26. I left my house to take my son to practice and leaving my oldest son at home by himself with the alarm set to stay. I wasn't even 5 minutes down the road when I received a notification from my ring that someone was at my front door. I called my son and could hear the alarm going off in the background and told my son to go upstairs to my closet and hide. After I had turned around and was driving back home I received a call from the monitoring department and transferred over to tell her it wasn't a false alarm, my son is home by himself and they needed to dispatch police immediately. She asked to stay on the phone with me until police arrived, I told her I could not do that, I needed to transfer back over to my son who was in the house alone. I made it home, thankfully to find that the person did not make it into my house.

After 10 min and still no police officer I called Protection 1 back and was told the police officer was canceled. I asked by who because it wasn't us. Come to find out our police station has a 2 zone trigger policy before they consider it not be a false alarm (you are an alarm company and this should have been communicated to us in some way before signing a contract).

I asked the lady on the phone what good this did me if they come in the front door and go right back out the front door with my stuff. I was told to call 911 and have them dispatch police immediately (again I'm thinking this is a pointless step since this is what you claim- "Since 1988, Protection 1 continues to grow and become a leader in the full service security industry. We strive to provide services to residential, commercial and national customers. We will customize your security system to fit your specific home or business needs. Our 24/7 professional monitoring centers will be there to ensure your safety. Protection 1 guarantees when you call for help, you will speak with a real person. Keep your family and business safe - call today"!).

So of course since at this point I realize I'm on my own in this situation I called 911 to dispatch police because I'm a mother by herself with 4 children in the dark and I have no idea if the person who attempted to get in my front door has gone around and hiding behind my house. After a couple days to process what had happened, I called today to speak to a supervisor to figure out for the future if this is indeed protocol. I was told that "must be" (like a shrug of the shoulders, I don't know but if that's what you were told kind of way).

I asked if the 3 buttons on my keypad actually did me any good in the event I actually pushed them. I was told, "Yes. Those would be immediate." (Now keep in mind the tech installed our keypad next to the entry door from our garage.) I asked if I was supposed to send my son in front of the front door to press the panic button and then run back in front of the front door, up the stairs to hide in my closet? I told them if that's the way to get immediate help I wanted my keypad moved to my bedroom. I was then transferred to service and was told the first 30 min would cost me $120 at which point I quit listening because I was so dumbfounded by the lack of communication in every aspect as well as not willing to work with a customer but choosing to charge out the ** for business.

You as a company have done nothing to protect or feel safe in my home. My $99 ring doorbell did more for me than the $300 system that needed to be installed as well and as installation fee and $55 supposed monitoring fee a month for almost 5 years. For anyone who is considering Protection 1 for their home security system please don't do it. You will be better off and less expensive to buy the Ring doorbell and cameras to protect your property.

Hi Ashley,

I am so sorry to learn of this scary situation. I have left you a voicemail with my direct number and hope to speak with you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Last year I called Protection 1 because my bill was so high. I came upon an agreement with a rep at Protection 1 for an amount that was fair (due to the fact that I saw a better price from ADT). Protection 1 took over from my original home security company whom I loved and never had a problem with. The sales rep asked me how long I would agree to the price we settled on and I told her 5 years and she said ok. I finally got my revised bill and paid it. This year I got a bill where the rate was higher and was charged for a service rep to come to my house who stayed for less than 5 minutes to fix a problem from a lightning storm that in previous years I was able to call my previous alarm company and they walked me through it over the phone and the problem was fixed-no charge. They couldn’t do that at Protection 1.

I again called Protection 1 in regards to the enormous charge for the service rep and for the increase in my bill. The billing rep removed the service charge and I explained to her my call from last year. She said that I should have received information on a price increase and told her I never got anything so she put me on hold to check on that and she couldn’t find anything either. She tried to transfer me to billing but supposedly they were busy so she took both my home and cell phone numbers to have the billing department call me back. I never got a call. I saw that my bill was coming due so I sent in a check for the price I was originally quoted. I wrote the information on the bill with the check.

All of a sudden I started getting phone messages stating that I had important information regarding my security system so I called and it was determined that I still owed a small amount on my bill. I proceeded to explain to the rep the info stated above and she said that she would let her manager know and this would be taken care of. I am STILL receiving phone calls! I have never had any problems with any company like I have with Protection 1. I sorely miss my previous alarm company. I was with them for many years until Protection 1 took over and never once had a problem with them. Protection 1 will make your blood pressure go up!

Hello Helen,

I am so sorry to learn of your experience. I have left you a voicemail and sent an email with my direct phone number. I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you soon,

Rhonda

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

When I bought my home it had their system in it so I kept it and activated it in my own name. Every time I made a service call appointment the tech showed up before scheduled time, was late, without proper equipment to fix my OUTSIDE camera or just did not show up. A few times the tech that came out had no idea how to install an outside camera and just left it for us to call for another appointment. I just recently canceled my service just after my 2 year renewal and was never sent a final bill. After 2 months I started to receive calls and text messages from them demanding payment of $765 ($750 early termination fee plus $14). I explained I never got a bill once I canceled my service.

They emailed me a bill the next day with a due date at the end of the month. They continued to call me multiple times a day all hours of the day including 9 o’clock at night! When I got the money to pay them off I asked the rep why they are harassing me for payment when the bill wasn’t even past due yet, I was told it was due a month prior and asked again when I was going to pay it! I would never use or refer anyone to this company again. Only thing good I can say is when my dog set off the alarm they did not hassle us about it.

Hi Kimberly,

Thank you so much for taking my call today. I sincerely apologize for your experience and will review the account with our training department to make sure the account is set up for a paper bill after cancellation.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and again my apologies for this experience.

Rhonda

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I have been a customer for 6 months and have had the worst experience with this company. First they enter my address wrong which then causes issue every time I call them. It took multiple calls to get that corrected. Second, I was never given yard or window signs and when I request them 3 times I never received them. Third, the motion detector batteries run out ever month and yes I do use the recommended lithium-ion batteries. Fourth, my keypad is malfunctioning and customer service told me to read the instructions and reset it... Still not working. Fifth, I called a few weeks ago frustrated trying to cancel service due to all of the issues I have experienced and they said you SR under contract and I would have to pay to get out.

During this call I scheduled a service appointment to correct all the issues... NO Saturday appointments! Oh unless I want to pay for it. NOT customer focused. I did receive an email confirming my appointment between 1-5. Today I get an email confirming 8-12 with the same ticket number! I called service and they gave me some ridiculous answer as to why it did that. Add this to the list of issues I have had with this company.

Hi Matt,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I have left you a message with my contact information and hope to hear from you soon. Thank you in advance.

Protection 1 expert review by Ben Mannes

The company offers wired and wireless systems with or without home automation, as well as flexible pricing. Choose from 6 packages for $34.99-$54.99. Systems have 3-5 year contracts, with warranty options of 3-years or 90 days. Self-installed and professional installation are available.

• Flexible plans: Protection 1 offers flexible plans that you can customize to your home, your security preferences and monitoring options (e.g. landline or cellular).

• Home automation: Log into Protection 1's mobile apps for remote access to automate home lighting, see live security video, arm or disarm your system, control your thermostat, unlock your doors and more.

• Versatile equipment: Consumers can add remote door locks, night vision cameras, wireless doorbells, garage door sensors and more to create a home security system that perfectly meets your needs.

• Deductible protection: Protection 1 customers have extra protection in the event of a burglary. The company will cover up to $1,000 towards the homeowner’s insurance deductible. Interested consumers should see the website for specific details and restrictions.

• Referral bonus: When existing customers recommend Protect 1 to a friend who signs up for monitoring, the original customer will earn a $50 referral bonus. The bonus will be paid as an account credit.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Protection 1 Company Information