It's that easy Request Information
1.62/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1988, Protection 1 continues to grow and become a leader in the full service security industry. We strive to provide services to residential, commercial and national customers. We will customize your security system to fit your specific home or business needs.

Our 24/7 professional monitoring centers will be there to ensure your safety. Protection 1 guarantees when you call for help, you will speak with a real person. Keep your family and business safe - call today!

Protection 1 Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

854 Protection 1 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

A college age student working for Protection 1 knocks on the door selling their product. I know I am moving in a few years because of an aging family member, and I ask about the procedure. I'm told by her that Protection 1 comes and takes the equipment with me to the new place. She doesn't have a paper copy of the contract to give me because she is only equipped with an iPad. She promises me to drop one off in my mail box. Yeah that did not happen. I sell my house 2 years later and call to change my service. Guess what I don't have the password to do so. I have to jump through hoops; send copies of my signature. I get my new password; they put my account on hold. Only after informing me they do not come out and relocate my equipment. I finally find a new home and call to reactivate service only to find out that I have to enter into a new 42 month contract or pay the remaining months on the old service for the old house.

How does their service link to an address and not a person. I was forced to move to a new house due to medical reasons, handicap accessible. But I cannot have my security service transfer. They just want to keep me on the hook all tied up. This is not customer service, this was tell people whatever to get them signed up. How about employees being accountable for misleading clients. I feel so cheated. I just want a secure home and to fulfill my obligation without being pushed into a corner. And for the customer service agent who told me on the phone I should have read the fine print on the 8-inch iPad screen.

What a joke. I asked a question and was lied to, that was my concern from jump street and the agent either lied or shot out an ill informed answer. So they tell me they will send me to collections. Let's see how that works. At best there will be a settlement for pennies on the dollar. Instead of them providing me with my remaining service at the full amount. I want to pay for a service I agree to, not be forced into something I did not.

Hi Jim,

Thank you so much for taking my call today and sharing your information with me. I have passed along our conversation to your relocation representative and he should be contacting you soon. I will stay on the account until we have resolution. Thank you for your patience.

Rhonda

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

This company has been nothing but a headache since the day we installed service. First they charged my account twice for 2 months straight. When that was finally resolved we had to have several technicians come out to fix our faulty equipment. Which ultimately we found out that it was never installed correctly in the first place so after a year we had been paying for service that we weren't even receiving. My entire family was left vulnerable because of their technicians continuous mistakes. So after I called about this and the fact that we did not receive all of our window sensors as stated in the "Contract". They sent another technician out to install the sensors.

Now fast forward to 7 months later we are selling our home and no longer need the service. To my surprise when I called to cancel the service I am unable to do so due to a NEW CONTRACT for the new sensors. WHAT!!! To anyone reading this STAY AWAY FROM ADT & PROTECTION 1 unless you want to sign your life away.

Hi Amber,

I am so sorry to learn of your negative experience and sincerely apologize. I tried to give you a call and unfortunately was not able to leave a message. I will attempt to give you a call again tomorrow. I look forward at the opportunity to working on a resolution. Thank you and have a great evening.

Resolution response: Sept. 6, 2018

Almost immediately after posting this comment, I received a call to my cell phone as reported by Rhonda with Protection 1 on this site. Ironically Rhonda was able to reach me when their accounting department was not for the last 2 years! Thankfully, Rhonda informed me that it was an error on the part of Protection 1 and that I did not have a balance due. Protection 1 withdrew my case from the debt collections agency. I confirmed with the debt collections agency yesterday that my file was closed as instructed by Protection 1. Although it worked out fine in the end, this was a stupid problem that could have been easily resolved when it arose. Calling and sending mail to the address of a house that Protection 1 knew that I no longer owned or lived at was not good business practice. And it resulted in unnecessary anxiety on my part and expense for them.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

7 year customer, sold home, moved out of state and canceled service. Protection 1 allegedly wrote and called me at old address about money owed. They had other ways to contact me! Don't know what I owe for and neither does the bill collector! I'm angry!

Hi Sheila,

I am so sorry for your negative experience and understandably angry. I have left you a message with my direct number and hope to have the opportunity to speak with you soon. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

We agreed to let Protection 1 install a security system in our home in August of 2015. They were looking for customers to use their systems and display signs in their front yards for advertising. We were told we would only be charged the monthly monitoring fee of $34.99 and that there was NO CONTRACT. We were also told that if we moved they could move the service to a new home for free.

Fast forward 3 years. We just moved, and my wife contacted Protection 1 about moving our service. While they were prepared to install new equipment, they could no longer honor the monthly price we had been paying, because it was a “promotional rate.” Additionally, we would have to agree to a 5 Year contract. We were unwilling to sign a contract, so we asked for them the cancel our service. We were then informed that we were in the middle of a 5-year contract, and that in order to cancel we would have to pay $839.76.

We informed the customer service representative that we were told there was NO CONTRACT when we allowed their system to be installed in our home. We requested that they send us the documentation showing the 5-year contract. After several requests for this information we were sent one document with what we believe to be forged signatures! I contracted Protection 1 again explaining this. I was told that they had multiple documents with our signatures on it, as well as a recording of a “Welcome Call” acknowledging the contract. I requested that all of the documents with our signatures be provided, as well as to hear the “Welcome Call.” After multiple requests for Protection 1 to send us all the documentation, we have only received the same one document 4 or 5 times. I have also been told that to hear the “Welcome Call,” I will need a subpoena!

We have explained to multiple representatives that this situation is completely unacceptable, and that we needed another solution. The best they could offer was a 42-month contract at an increased rate, and an activation fee, or a payoff of $750.00 This still not an acceptable solution! We are beyond frustrated with their horrible customer service and unethical business practices!!!

Good Afternoon Peter,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

I have left a voice mail with my direct contact number. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

We had a terrible experience with Protection One alarm system. We had to sign up for a 3 year term contract. During this period, the services we received have been less than optimal. Technicians were unable to rectify our alarm system issues. Holes were drilled into walls (and now we have to spend the time and money to patch it up). We spend extra money to buy additional equipment recommended by the technicians to improve our service to no avail. We tried to cancel the service, but was told our contract lasts 3 years and we have to pay the contract in its entirely even though we were not receiving the service we paid for. This alarm system is not worth your money nor time.

Hi Chris,

I am so sorry to learn of your negative experience. My sincerest apologies that you received less than our best. I have left a voicemail message with my direct number and would love the opportunity to speak with you. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Rhonda

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protection 1?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

When my husband and I signed up with Protection One, we informed customer service over the phone that we would only be needing your services for 1 year since we were moving into a 1 year rental home. They failed to notify us that it was a 3 year contract, for an early termination fee of $750. Why would we sign up for a 3 YEAR contract if we specifically knew we would only need their services for ONE YEAR?!? Maybe because they failed to let us know it was for a 3 year contract... So not knowing this still, after our 1 year was completed, we called to ensure it was completely paid off & cancel their services. They stated there was NO balance after our last payment & NEVER mentioned that there was going to be an early termination fee, nor that we still had 2 years left on our contract. We only just found out there they lied and there was still a balance, & that it was sent to the collection agency??? Seriously?

We called to properly pay everything & you hit us with another charge & ETF & get back to us after it's already on its way to the collection agency? WHAT KIND OF COMPANY IS THIS?!?! How is this legitimate when we have services with your company for a year and we specifically notified your employees that we would only be renting for ONE year ONLY?!?! And ADT we have had for YEARS & this is how they treat their customers?!?! Wow. I guess being their part owners of Protection 1, I am hesitant to give ADT my services anymore either!!!

Hi Crystal,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I have left a message with my direct number to work towards a resolution. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Resolution response: Aug. 14, 2018

I would like to change my review of this company!!! Rhonda has gone above and beyond to find a solution to the problems that I had. She reached out to me personally last week to help me to understand my system and to get it in good working order. I wish that all of the customer service reps were like her! She is terrific about listening to the problem and finding a solution to make everyone happy. I had wanted to end my contract with Protection 1 immediately ,but after speaking with Rhonda my husband and I decided that we would rather stay. Thank you so much for taking the time to speak with me and teach me about my system.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

These people have done nothing but lie to me from day one. I got an alarm with these people and was told that my bill would drop after paying on it for 2 years, never was I told that if they lowered my monthly payment that it would require me to start my contract over. I have had this alarm company for over 3 years. My system has NEVER worked correctly. I have motion detector cameras that worked for maybe a year as long as I changed the battery in them weekly, yes I said weekly, and the batteries are not cheap, they tell you to use the lithium batteries in the cameras. We finally gave up on the cameras since the batteries were costing me roughly 30.00 per month. My alarm bill is already 50.99 per month which is outrageous compared to others. I asked to buy my contract out since there is only 11 months left and they told me it is my monthly rate times the amount of time I have left on my contract. That was never mentioned either.

These people are thieves!! This company is a huge RIP OFF!!! Never use Protection 1/ADT! Which I may add that I signed my contract with Protection 1 and not once has anyone mentioned to me that the company taking over my alarm is ADT. I only found out by calling to complain about what a crappy alarm system they gave me!! I will tell everyone I know not to use this company. When I called to inquire about my service the rep could only apologize but offered no solution, this place is HORRIBLE! I want out of my contract and I feel that I have given them plenty of money for the crappy system they installed.

Hi Jeanna,

I appreciate you taking the time to speak with me last week and would love the chance to follow up with you. I wasn't able to leave a message unfortunately but I will continue to reach out to make sure everything is to your satisfaction. Thank you so much.

Rhonda

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

My wife and I have always rented apartments. My wife has used ADT for the better part of 10 years and she has been happy with them. Up until today 7/8/2018 never had an issue. The issue today seems very dishonest on someone’s part and because my wife used them for a number of years she didn’t think anything about it a year and a half ago but I’ll let you decide.

We moved from one apartment to the another and we were planning on canceling our ADT because we wanted to get ready to buy a home and didn’t want to be under contract with them anymore. At that time we were told you still have a year and a half on your contract so you can pay a fee or we can transfer service for you. Keep in mind we still are talking to ADT. We chose just to transfer service since we didn’t want to pay a fee and we would just cancel at the end of the contract no big deal. Somehow we got switched over to Protection 1. I read a few forums and learned there was a merger so we thought nothing of it, happens all the time.

Now here’s the fun part,. We called today to cancel and were told that we still have 18 months. Apparently when we switched ADT wasn’t doing apartment installations anymore so anyone who wanted security had to get a DIY kit. The kits are from Protection 1 so we were not technically ADT customers anymore and the paper we signed was a new 3 year contract with Protection 1 because ADT couldn’t service us. Meanwhile none of this was explained just that we would have to install it ourselves because ADT couldn’t anymore. Nothing was said about signing a new contract or switching providers.

After getting on the phone with Protection 1 they said it should have been explained by ADT about the new contract which is complete crap considering we wanted to cancel to begin with. So they got us to pay for another 18 months by omitting stuff and also locked us into another 3 year contract. I’m all for reading contract and deals like that but when you have 10 years of no hassle experience with a company you learn to trust them. Well our trust was abused by ADT or Protection 1 it’s my fault for not reading word for word the contract but the used a crappy business tactic when they learned we wanted to cancel 18 months ago.

I will never recommend ADT or Protection 1 to anyone or support them in any way. I will pay my $700 fee and leave them. Do not trust ADT or Protection 1. Also side note we never used the Protection 1 equipment because at first we were waiting a month for the installer then we found out it was a DIY then we just never installed it ourselves. But those 18 months we had it Protection 1 never called to see how the equipment was doing or why it wasn’t set up. What if we did set it up and it was faulty but we didn’t know. They would have never followed up as a courtesy. I will be leaving this same review on ADT since they are considered the same.

Hello Mr. Weigand,

Thank you so much for taking time to speak to me about your experience. I sincerely apologize that you received less than our best. I look forward to speaking to you soon. Again, thank you for your time.

Rhonda

Original review: July 25, 2018

On July 13th, wrote an email to customerservice@adt.com inquiring about converting my alarm system from a landline to cellular. On 7/14 they promptly responded stating that I had to call an account specialist. So I called spoke to a representative and she provided 3-4 options as choices. After all was said and done, I requested to get my options in writing so I can better make a decision and be specific on what I am getting on each. After a few days called again and informed them that I never received the options email which was promised, again I gave the information, verified the email and then received an email which was incomplete from the following email (**). I responded and advised him to please include all the options which were discussed.

So he complied via email and we went back in forth trying to narrow down all the specifics. We finally agreed on option three, which stipulated that my rate would remain the same, I would pay an amount for the cellular communicator (installed) and no contract. So I requested to get a new proposal with what we had agreed and discussed. I sent several emails requesting this information so we could move forward. I then receive an email from another associate (**) with a different proposal and not what we had previously agreed. I responded and added ** to the conversation as well as attached the email where we were in agreement and stated that what was sent was not our agreement to please see attached.

No one responded so I sent another email and still no response. This is rude and not professional and I find it unacceptable to be treated this way with the runaround and ever changing terms of what we agreed. I have been a loyal customer for 19+ years and never had any customer service issues until now. Is this the new ADT customer service? I never had a problem when it was Protection One. This is very disappointing and frustrating and would like to have this rectified as soon as possible.

Protection 1 response

Hello Pedro- We are sorry to learn of your experience. Please be advised that Protection One accounts are not accessible to ADT. If you're having concerns with Protection One, we're happy to reach out to them on your behalf. Please be encouraged to forward your E-Mail chain to AlwaysThere@ADT.com, for this purpose. ~Tréchell

Original review: July 22, 2018

I originally signed a 3 year agreement when I was renting. I moved into a different rental less than a mile away, and had Protection 1 move my service. I was told by the sales person that the contract would not be extended since I purchased the equipment for the new rental. I completed the full initial 3 year term. At the end of my lease I cancelled the service and then Protection 1 billed me for the remaining months of a contract that I was told would not be extended. I complained and told them that I was specifically promised that the contract would not be extended since I had no plans to rent beyond the term.

I had numerous conversations with several Protection 1 representatives in an attempt to get my dispute resolved. After not hearing back from Protection 1, I assumed upon further investigation, they saw I had completed the initial contract. We recently applied for a mortgage and I learned that Protection 1 reported to the credit agencies that I did not pay the bill even though I fulfilled my 3 year obligation. This goes beyond unethical. I will be filing complaints and notices to the BBB, the Attorney General's Office of SC and NC.

Hello Mrs. Merriman,

Thank you so much for taking time to speak with me today. I know they are just words, but I do apologize for your experience and the inconvenience this has caused you. I will be sending you the email that we spoke about shortly. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me with any questions or concerns.

Rhonda

Original review: July 21, 2018

I have to say the this was very difficult to fix. I have been a customer for over 3 years. However my contract was for 2 years. So I decided to cancel my service from Protection 1, I called the service line and got some lady but because I forgot my password and they refused to help me then I asked for her manager (Andrew). He told me I had to send an email to ADT customer service and send them information to them just to get on my account so I could cancel it. So I sent the information. He told me to but that wasn't enough. I had to also send a copy of my signature to them.

Finally I was able to call customer service at Protection 1 to cancel my service and all of a sudden they told me that they were going to charge me $600.00 more dollars. I am a disabled veteran and had all these problems but that wasn't enough for them. Then when I told them I don't have to pay that money they started threatening me over the phone about how they were going to send this to the credit companies to ruin my credit... I have to say if you read this I don't recommend you use this company. Very bad...

Hi Stan,

Thank you so much taking the time to speak with me. I apologize for your experience and look forward with following up with you on Friday.

Rhonda

Original review: July 7, 2018

We used Protection One for years until we sold our house and moved. I called and cancelled. The lady asked if I wanted to transfer my service and I said no since we were going to an apartment. Fast forward more than a year later and we get a letter from a collection agency saying we owed $354.45. No explanation. I called Protection One and was told we cancelled under a contract. Not true I said. That had expired. Then she said it was because we didn't cancel. Well which one is it? The account says we had been notified. Total lies. We had given forwarding addresses and our phone numbers have not changed. I pored over my email accounts and saw nothing. The woman on the phone agreed that it would just be my word against theirs. I will be filing a complaint with the Attorney General after I get the breakdown of the charges.

Hi Sue,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I have had the opportunity to review the call from 5/4/2017 and would love the chance to speak with you. I have left you a voice message with my direct number. Thank you for your time.

Rhonda

Original review: June 21, 2018

This company installed alarms in two of my properties, a duplex. While doing installation (a third party installation company) they sent incorrect information to ADT causing the addresses to be switched. This is an unforgivable mistake. They also said that "They were not responsible for the 3rd party setup". How is that possible? You hired them... you are responsible for their work. Additionally, they don't work on the weekend, I was unaware that crime didn't take place on the weekend. The live operator I spoke to when I had an issue told me incorrect information that police were not dispatched when the alarm went off and I was not home. I was frantic. Just horrible service, horrible quality, horrible people to assist you - who don't care to help you. I do not recommend at all.

Hi Sophie,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience and apologize for any inconvenience it has caused you. I have left you a voicemail with my contact information and look forward to speaking with you soon. Thank you in advance for your time.

Rhonda

Original review: June 4, 2018

Well back on May 6th, my Protection 1 box keep saying network failure. I know enough about network so I moved the box to another location. Then it quit working completely on March 12th. So I called in and they said I had a bad cellular card. “We will send you one.” I live in a bad area of town. I asked to have shipped to my office. They assured me that is where it would go. Didn't. Came to my house and was stolen off my porch May 18th. They sent me another one and I got the tracking early enough to find out it was going back to my house. Called Protection 1. They said they would get in touch with FedEx and have it sent to my office. Nope sent back to them May 23rd, so I call again. Get another one sent out to me. Finally get this one hook it up May 31st.

I use Verizon cell phone and have 4 to 5 bars at my house hooked it up. Done what they said. Didn't work, they said I need a bigger antenna. So today June 4th I get my bigger antenna. No this still doesn't work, so now they claim it is my box that is bad. I asked them can't they send someone to fix this. I'm getting tired of waiting and shipping stuff around. They said no they don't have local offices. However what is this I found. 2148 Pelham Pkwy, Building 700, Pelham, AL 35124. I told them I was willing to pay for a service call and have someone come fix this. They said I have to wait on a label box up my unit send them the unit once they get it and figure out the problem. I will get another unit.

So I have been without service for now a month. You think after everything I been through they would do something more to help. Sure free month is nice but I'm unprotected. I have already spoken to a lawyer and if I get broke into for them being stupid we are going to sue Protection 1. I'm ready to box everything up and get my money back and go with another company. This is a wasted of time and nothing but a bunch of liars and people that don't care about the customers. They have my credit card on file and charge me every month. What the hell would it hurt for them to overnight me a new one. I box up and send my old one in. This place needs to be sued.

Good Afternoon David,

Thank you so much for bringing your experience and concerns to our attention. I apologize for your experience, it does not meet our expectations for customer care and is not excusable.

I have left a message for you with my contact number. I am hoping that I will be offer resolution to you. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: May 29, 2018

Had some work done recently and found out my Platinum Protection Care had been removed in Nov. 2015 when the company changed from ASG to Protection 1. My account # is **. I was told by Cindy from account management that someone requested a reduction in the bill and to remove the Protection Care. Cindy has no records before Nov 2015. Cindy said I was paying approx $39.00/mo and it was reduced and the protection care plan was removed. I told her I have been paying $31.95 for years and pulled out a bill from 10/04/2014 with a rate of $31.95.

This is extortion. I asked to speak to her supervisor and Cindy told me that no one would speak to me or call me back, and that she was the final word. She did say that the call was recorded, so there is evidence. I just want a phone # of Cindy's supervisor or someone that can help me with this dilemma. One problem is that I was originally with Vulcan Security which was bought out by ASG, Protection 1, now ADT. Please respond with a phone # or phone call.

Good Afternoon,

I apologize for your experience and would love to have the opportunity to speak with you. I have sent you an email with my contact information. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: May 26, 2018

I manage a non profit children's ballet school. We used Protection One for mandatory fire monitoring for many years. In 2016 our building was sold and the new owner refused to renew our lease (which expired Sept. 1, 2017). Protection One was notified that we were evicted and vacating the premises. The bookkeeper paid them on 9/28/17. Eight months later, we receive a threatening letter claiming "after numerous failed attempt to contact you... demanding $4935.37"!!! Our phone number and mailing address are still valid. We have received ZERO contact from them. Worse yet, I call the 877 number to speak to a representative and explain what is happening and she is rude, dismissive and tells me too bad we got evicted, we have to pay this amount, "sorry for the inconvenience." I ask for a manager and she refuses to connect me. Is this how they extort money from people? Terrible.

Updated on 08/22/2018: Back in May, I wrote the review and I heard from Rhonda. It seemed as though my problem was solved- she could not locate a signed contract and said the balance would be erased. Not so fast!! For the past month we have been harassed by Murphy, Lomon & Associates, a collection agency. We've asked them to contact Rhonda, the debt was absolved, but no dice. The calls and threatening letters keep coming. Rhonda, can you call them off? Thank you.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Approximately 4 months after Protection1 completed installation of equipment, I began to receive alerts via an automated phone call that would prompt me to press 0 to speak with an operator. Once connected with an operator I was asked for the password, which neither I nor anyone else in my company had ever received or set, and so the alert couldn’t be cleared, but I was told instead that a customer service rep would need to call me back. I never received a callback. Each time, months of alerts and subsequent phone calls to the operator, we would go in the same circle: alert, call to operator, no callback. After about 3 months and dozens of phone calls with no one being able to assist me with resetting my password, I still did not have a working alarm system despite being current with all payments. I was left with no alternative than to switch to a different alarm company.

I am now receiving daily calls from P1’s collections department in an attempt to collect a “past-due balance” of over 3k. Initially, I would take the time to explain the situation to the caller and ask if they could provide me a way to resolve the matter. Every response was the same- they were as clueless as the caller before them, having no notes on previous calls, no way of accessing my account history, and no way of helping. I continue to receive daily phone calls, and now ignore them as I know that the reps that are calling are as impotent in providing resolution as the customer service reps that couldn’t do something as simple as reset a password to provide me with services according to contract. Aside from being harassed with daily phone calls, it’s infuriating that I am receiving bills for services that Protection 1 was unable to provide.

Hi Jason,

I'm sorry to hear of your experience and look forward at the opportunity to speak with you. I have left you a voicemail with my contact information. Thank you and have a great day.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I have had the service for almost 3 years and have had many issues from the beginning. My dog would whine/bark and set off the alarm. I tried to cancel a few months in, but they told me I had a 2 year contract and it would cost $750 (or something like) to cancel. I decided I would just keep it until the contract was up. I kept forgetting to cancel and it has now been well over 2 years. I finally called today and now they are telling me I have a 5 year contract and it will cost over $1,000 to get out of it. How can a company extend a contract without knowledge or consent? I am beyond upset. Don't fall for their B.S.

Original review: May 19, 2018

They did everything to sell everything, except the fact that it was a 3 yr contract. Deceptive that they never mentioned that, and you sign a contract thinking you're signing for service - not to be imprisoned by their service. When I first called up after the first year, the lady told me it was 2 yr contract, so I waited, then I call up again after two years to find out that it's a 3 yr contract. It's criminal!

Maricela,

I apologize for your experience and would love to have the opportunity to speak with you. I have left you a voicemail with my contact information. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Valerie

Original review: May 1, 2018

False advertisement. Forced me into a contract without my knowledge and when I found out about it and start to argue the only reason I signed up with this company is because they advertised no contract they just hanged up the phone on me.

Hi L S,

I am so sorry you had less than perfect experience. As a company we do require contracts, so this is very much a concern. I have left you a voice mail with my direct line and look forward to speaking with you soon for more details.

Rhonda

Original review: April 28, 2018

I have perfect credit -- hence my anger with Protection 1 and their harassment over $33.95. My employer took over payment of this account and it appears that there was a gap of one month for a whopping $33.95 when the employer took over. My employer pays the account for more than a year and then I start getting multiple calls with no messages from an 866 number in February 2018. I finally answer after 10 calls or so because this is going on day and night. The call tells me that the January 2018 bill wasn't paid and that I owe $33.95. I explain that my employer is paying it and I will let them know about the issue the next day. The employer confirms the next day that the January 2018 payment was made.

In the meantime (yes less than 24 hours) I get two more calls from them. Each time I explain. Each time they call the amount owed increases by an additional $33.95. The last person admits that this is a robocall system and says that there is nothing she can do. Finally the calls stop. In the midst of this, I call them and indicate that I am cancelling my service because of all of the nonsense they pulled. I had spoken to my brother in law that also cancelled service with them and he told me they were completely rude and wouldn't release codes until he raised complete hell. I am told I have to send them an email to cancel service. I send the email and ask for them to confirm it was received and further to release the codes. No response.

I call back several days before my new alarm company is coming to take over the system. They got the email but won't give me the codes because that is not their policy. I indicate that I know that they do it since they did it for my brother in law. They refuse to turn over the codes so it cost me $200 to get my new alarm system up and running.. Under OK rules they have to do certain things but turning over the code is not on there -- even though it would cost them nothing to do it.

So, I think my hell of Protection 1 is over but then the robocalls started almost a month after my service is over. It is now April 2018. After multiple calls from an 866 number with no message, I call that number and it is a collection service. WHAT!! I call Protection 1 and the person tells me that I owe $33.95 from November 2016. Whatever, I pay them. I don't know if I really owed them the money but the harassment over $33.95 is not worth my time. They also tried to tell me that they didn't know certain things since they bought my original alarm company through whom I originally obtained service.

Hi Kerry,

Thank you for sharing your experience, I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I have left you a voice mail with my direct number, please feel free to give me a call.

I do want to take advantage and let you know that we do appreciate your business and are disappointed to lose you as a customer. I hope to hear from you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: April 24, 2018

For the most part, I have enjoyed the peace of mind. My business was protected by Protection 1. We have had a few issues - surprise charges, saying account is overdue when it's on auto-draft so there is no way for it to go unpaid, etc. The problem is that now I am being forced to move my business. I have reached out to multiple phone numbers for Protection 1 and I am getting no assistance. In fact, I am getting attitude. (Admittedly, I have dished a little in return because this is absolutely FRUSTRATING).

My success as a business owner is built on customer service! When I ask the P1 representatives what can be done, I'm told "You knew what you were getting into when you signed the contract." Well, if we all had crystal balls to predict our futures, we'd sure be in a different place, wouldn't we? Of course, THEY can terminate for any reason at any time, no matter what. I would appreciate some help - not headache - from Protection 1. I've been a good customer, you'd think they could return the favor?!? Apparently not. And now they want to tell me I can transfer the service to my new location IF, and only if, I sign a new 42-month contract. The past two years have counted for nothing. RAWR!!!

Hi Emily,

Thank you so much for taking my call today and again for contributing an inconvenience during a stressful time for you. I didn't have the chance yet to speak to your representative yet, but I have noted the account. I will still follow up with him today as well.

Please keep my direct phone number and do not hesitate to contact me with questions or concerns. Again, thank you.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I was a customer and signed an agreement in 2008. I changed alarm companies in 2017. Was told by your company that there is an outstanding balance due because in 2014 you put in additional equipment in my home. This never happened and I was e-mailed a copy of two signatures which were not mine. In addition you have stated that my son also signed the contract. My son did not even live here. As of tonight I was informed that an M. ** states there are similarities in the signatures and they are asking to speak with my son who doesn't live here. And now changed your story. I would like to have someone in your company have the decency to contact me personally not someone looking to collect money. Your company was paid every month from 2008 until Aug. of 2017. This is a terrible way to run a business and I am contacting the Attorney General of NYS.

Hi Phyllis,

Thank you so much for taking my call today. I apologize for any confusion and the inconvenience it has caused you. I have addressed the concerns on the account per our conversation. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to give me a call. Thank you for your business and if something changes we would love to have you back as a customer.

Original review: April 16, 2018

After being a customer with this company for many years I tried to have my service transferred to my new home. This move is to be a guaranteed free service after your first year of monitoring. Duane ** and his boss Micah ** proceeding in an extremely rude, and unprofessional manner. Not only are they refusing to honor my contracted price, but are trying to raise my rates by five times the existing price, while threatening to hold me to an early termination fee of 100$. Protection 1/ADT your staff located in the Kansas branch are a disgrace to the fake image of great customer service you claim to have. You breached our contracted amount not me. Your response is to this matter is unacceptable and I promise to make sure the world knows what a scam you are!

Hello Lucas,

Thank you for sharing your experience, we value your thoughts. I am so sorry we were not able to provide you the same rate at your new location. I have left you a message with my direct number and would love the opportunity to speak with you. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Original review: April 16, 2018

In a simple phrase: DON'T DO IT. Terrible customer service. Make you sign a ridiculously long contract. Their security system is very loud and annoying. Nothing positive to report about them. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Good Afternoon Mr. Frank,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience and have pulled the initial call. I would love the opportunity to speak with you and have left a voice mail with my direct phone number. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: April 9, 2018

Called Protection 1 (now ADT) and told them I lost my job and need to cancel. Told, well sorry but you signed a 5 year contract 3 months ago which reduced my monthly bill. Agent told me to get out would cost me $750 approximately! No exceptions. I cannot pay that so until I file for coming bankruptcy I am stuck. Will put this on my bankruptcy and they won't get a cent afterwards.

Hi Joe,

I am so sorry to hear of your current difficulties. I have left you a message with my direct number and look forward to speaking with you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: March 30, 2018

Protection One has become terrible. My sensors kept sending false alarms so I couldn't turn the system on without calling the police and getting a fine. I called for repairs, but 3 times the tech didn't show up during their window - and it's a 4-hour window! Over the course of 4 months I paid for monitoring I couldn't use and missed 3 days of work waiting for a tech that never showed. Obviously I can't keep paying for a service that doesn't work and makes me miss my own job, so I called and canceled. At which point, as all my neighbors now know, Protection One said I was under contract and owed them hundreds of dollars!

There are 2 key points here: 1) I am NOT under contract. I signed up 10 years ago and never signed any sort of renewal. You can't just roll someone into a contract for life. 2) The product and service didn't work. How can someone pay for something that doesn't work? Even worse, when I've spoken with the service people (when I was still paying for a service that didn't work) they consistently apologized and offered me credits. Now when I talk to collections, they say I'm the one who canceled each appointment! Why would I do that? They even have records of credits they offered me in compensation. Clearly Protection One techs lie about the way they treat their customers.

Now of course they call me every day as part of a harassment campaign to get the money they feel they deserve for their lack of literally delivering any kind of service. They claim they have my contract on file and can email it to me, but I've spoken to their collections people 3 times and - no surprise here - they can't even come through on that. It's because I don't have a contract and/or they can't be bothered to deliver on even the smallest of their promises / threats. Oh - and the message from collections says, "Call us back at..." And then never actually leaves a phone number. Talk about incompetent.

So to recap. My service didn't work for 4 months. I wasted 3 days missing work waiting 4 hours each time for a tech that never showed. They lie about me canceling appointments. They claim I'm in a contract which actually ended 7 years ago. And Protection One thinks I should pay them for breaking my end of the deal? I have never had or even heard of such a bad experience. Protection One is simply terrible.

Hi Mr. Elliott,

Thank you so much for taking time to speak with me today. I am so sorry that your last experience with Protection 1 now ADT was so bad. I apologize for any inconvenience and will note the account with our conversation. I will pass on the concerns to our branch leadership about the technicians and scheduling. I know they will appreciate the feedback to prevent these experiences for other customers. If you change your mind we would love to have you back as a customer. Thank you for your time and please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Rhonda

Original review: March 29, 2018

Your alarm service was installed in this house when purchased in February 2006. For insurance purposes it was kept in place. In October of 2017 a decision was made to switch services at this location as well as the location of my wife’s operation. We were receiving numerous false alarms that was causing undue issues with the police and the neighbors. We contacted a local source and made arrangements to replace the service in both locations. My billing has been digital and was automatically paid through my bank.

In November I contacted your accounting department to discontinue the service. I was told it was not possible without the full account number. I waited until December but discontinued automatic payments. In December I received a paper statement and immediately called your 800 number to have service discontinued. I spoke to a Customer Service Specialists by the name of Juan. He told me that he was in Dallas. I paid for the current month and past due balance with a credit card. Juan thanked me for my 10 years and that was supposed to be the end of that.

Since that time I have received calls daily telling me that I needed to contact Protection 1 because of past due balances. I now have a statement that shows a balance due of $133.90. Please clear this balance immediately and refer to your notes when this account was paid in full and account closed. The notes are there as someone confirmed it to me when I spoke to someone in February. Please take care of this immediately and reply by email that this account is closed. Thank you.

Good Afternoon Timothy,

I am so sorry to learn of your difficult experience. I listened to several of the phone calls and our reps did not explain to you the importance of the password regarding cancellation. We definitely want to convey to our customers the importance of securing the account and to verify we are speaking with the person with authority on the account for cancellation. We will work with our reps and the importance of communication for the reason of the password.

I have left you a voice mail message with my direct line. I would love the opportunity to speak with you. Again, my heartfelt apology for your experience. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: March 28, 2018

My husband and I have had the worst experience EVER with this company; we have been lied to, harassed beyond belief, had assurances given to us (even wrote down names of the people) but it was conveniently NEVER noted on our account and then continually harassed yet again. Had the system installed at our old house. Was told if we moved the new owners could keep the system... After a couple of years yes we did move and was told the area to which we moved they didn't even service the area. Was told we wouldn't have to pay any fees just the couple of months the system was on hold. Protection One was given our new address--otherwise how would they have known they service our area--and we never heard another word from them. Nothing, nada, nothing! Fast forward approximately 6 months and they start calling at the very least 5 times a day!

They claimed they sent numerous bills but never to the correct address and of course, none were even sent to the old address as mail had been forwarded! Finally got someone to send a bill and we were being charged all sorts of fees and buyout from the "contract" --my husband has talked to numerous people from there. Even went as far as offering to pay half the bill amount to which he was told was notated and would get it mailed to him with the agreed upon amount. NEVER happened!!! Continuous calls again!!! Finally received a "final statement" demanding payment for the FULL AMOUNT!!! DO NOT EVER USE THIS COMPANY!!! Horrible customer service and NO ETHICS! I wish I could have chosen a NEGATIVE 5 stars but isn't possible!!!

Hi Liz,

I apologize for your experience and would love the opportunity to speak with you. I have left you a voicemail with my direct number.Please give me a call so we can work on a resolution for you.

Rhonda

Original review: March 23, 2018

I tried my best to protect my home with Protection 1, I found it to be an inconvenience and a complete waste of time and my hard earned money. Firstly, I ordered the service and I let the salesperson know that I would be heading out of town for a few weeks so if my alarm system is delivered I wouldn’t be home and I was told that I would receive a phone call. Never got that call I leave out of town and return home to 3 failed attempts at delivery. So I wait until 1/11 to finally get my system to find that it was a sensor short. So I didn’t activate my service until I had the complete equipment. I called and was told the sensor was like $60 so after agreeing to pay for it which I didn’t think was fair waited and waited and waited. The sensor never comes, so then I began to receive calls from collections at $21 and I have to this date had 5 phone conversations about my service not being activated and why.

So after months of going round and round with Protection 1 and its sales, billing, and management team I just can’t do it anymore. I haven’t had 1 second of service and now I am being charged $750 for an early cancellation fee because of the inconvenience that I was put through by the total lack of professionalism and customer service. I was told “what would be the benefit of having a recorded call played back” well the recorded call is there for quality assurance. The call is being recorded to hold the customer to every word but not Protection 1.

I was told by an agent 3/14 that he would work on waiving my fee because of all the hassle and wasted time I was put through, he told me he would call me back you think he did? NO! So I asked the manager to check the prior phone calls so he could see why I am trusted and he responded with the above quote. I am highly disappointed and very angry by the terrible customer service and the fact that I am being billed a cancellation fee for this madness.

Hi Edwin,

I am sorry to hear of your experience. I have left you a voice mail with my contact information and look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you and have a great day.

Protection 1 expert review by Erin Raub

The company offers wired and wireless systems with or without home automation, as well as flexible pricing. Choose from 6 packages for $34.99-$54.99. Systems have 3-5 year contracts, with warranty options of 3-years or 90 days. Self-installed and professional installation are available.

• Flexible plans: Protection 1 offers flexible plans that you can customize to your home, your security preferences and monitoring options (e.g. landline or cellular).

• Home automation: Log into Protection 1's mobile apps for remote access to automate home lighting, see live security video, arm or disarm your system, control your thermostat, unlock your doors and more.

• Versatile equipment: Consumers can add remote door locks, night vision cameras, wireless doorbells, garage door sensors and more to create a home security system that perfectly meets your needs.

• Deductible protection: Protection 1 customers have extra protection in the event of a burglary. The company will cover up to $1,000 towards the homeowner’s insurance deductible. Interested consumers should see the website for specific details and restrictions.

• Referral bonus: When existing customers recommend Protect 1 to a friend who signs up for monitoring, the original customer will earn a $50 referral bonus. The bonus will be paid as an account credit.

Profile picture of Erin Raub
Erin Raub Alarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.

Protection 1 Company Information