1.24/5

Get matched with the best Home Security System.

Protection 1

Since 1988, Protection 1 continues to grow and become a leader in the full service security industry. We strive to provide services to residential, commercial and national customers. We will customize your security system to fit your specific home or business needs.

Our 24/7 professional monitoring centers will be there to ensure your safety. Protection 1 guarantees when you call for help, you will speak with a real person. Keep your family and business safe - call today!

View More View More

Get matched with the best Home Security System.

Protection 1 Reviews

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

I called several times over a month and told them to stop billing my card. They promised they would and bill the appropriate person. They also said in two conversations for me to look out for a credit to appear on my card. Needless to say it never appeared. My last conversation to complain was greeted with indifference and a claim that they had no evidence on their computers that I'd called, and yet they had the name of the new person to bill at their fingertips. Shabby company, don't use them.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

Worst customer service ever, leaving, not paying for this anymore. Can’t use it, don’t work, avoid them! Absolute worst customer service for an “alarm company.” She wanted to argue, told me to go to a hardware store.... yeah, ok, #byefelisha ...

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

I do not recommend to sign a contract with these people. After I received an device for "FREE" they make me a tricky contract for 3 years. I never used it for my apartment and paid for almost 2 years of 3 years contract. Cancelation makes difficult and need to pay $500 + month +..=$600.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

Upgraded my system last month with this company and it hasn’t worked properly in weeks. Goes offline constantly, causing a very loud alert at all hours of the night until you acknowledge that you have read that your system is unable to work due to being offline. Think you can get someone out there quickly to resolve this problem? Is four days an acceptable window? Not to me it isn’t. Nearly everyone I have spoken with On various levels of their customer service is BEYOND rude. Really unhappy with my decision to keep this company. So you purchase this system to arm your home, pay a lot of money, and your home is unarmed 24 hours a day. What am I missing here? Don’t get me started on being promised camera install...didn’t happen. Trying to get ahold of someone to return to my home to finish the job is an actual joke.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

I'm up at 1:56am in the morning tired. My 80 year old father is up too, because we just upgraded a week ago but for some reason everytime I walk down my stairs my alarm go off and says my front door or garage door is opening. I call yesterday and they tell me a person will be out next Wednesday. I set my alarm last night. It goes off at 1:54am like someone breaking in. We all up running checking the house. No doors open. The alarm just went off on its own. I get a call and let the representative know what's going on. They tell me for someone to come see as a emergency call it will be $184. Hell no. We been with them for over 13 years faithful.

Then when they upgraded we find out my living room and dining room dont have sensors so anybody can break in those two ways and we always thought we had full protection in those areas and they want to charge me $280 to get sensors for those two rooms. Come on now protection 1. I'm gonna get rid of yall and go with vinvint security system because you all do not look after your loyal customers of many years and you treat like trash and think it's ok. I will be reaching out to the CEO of the company and let them know the treatment I have received and how I have to deal with this till they get a opening next week and how be up and cant sleep because I cant set my alarm because it just go off and your customer service and supervisors dont care per their response back to me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protection 1?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I was a customer of theirs for many years but after buying an older home with an existing Protection 1 service I asked for upgrades and was told no... The service tech that came out to check out the service left the very old battery unreplaced and the back sliding door sensor didn't work... More visits didn't fix the issue so I changed companies and was then presented with a $750 dollar cancellation bill. Horrible customer service.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

My equipment delivered on Aug 2, 2019 and I was told my 20+ reps my commitment was complete. 2 months later I received a bill for $718.06!!! After being an ADT customer for about 25 years with excellent service, when I moved to OR I was forced by being a hostage into a Protection 1 contract. The service in OR began on April 20, 2019 and NEVER worked and kept giving me scary alerts that someone was in my house during the night and that my house was being burglarized when I was out of town. My friend said the keypad locked up and froze and she could not get it to shut off or take the code either....but that is another story. After a very scary false alarm episode when I was traveling the weekend of July 27-28 2019, I knew it was time to cancel service. This is the short version of the nightmare I experienced, lots more details I can not include in this few words.

I did have a 5 month window to cancel the service per contract which I did, since I did not feel safe in my own home using Protection 1 service. I diligently paid the last monthly service bill of $49.99. I got a return label from Protection 1 to send back my equipment which I also diligently did, and I have photos of all the equipment that I returned in case you need that I can provide. I spoke to about 25 different customer service reps throughout this whole process, mind you, who all said my responsibility had ended when I returned the equipment. The equipment was delivered on Aug 2 which I noted on my calendar and I called yet another rep on Aug 2 to confirm receipt. I was told it takes 30 days to fully process the complete cancellation of the account. I assumed all was ok since the tracking said delivered on THEIR tracking number that they sent me to use.

So since the equipment had been delivered ON Aug 2, I did not think I had to keep the tracking # as I assumed Protection 1 kept records of tracking numbers since they issued the return label themselves. No, I was mistaken and at that time I did not know I was dealing with a fraudulent company! So fast forward to 2 months after I KNOW the equipment was returned, I have now received a bill dated 9/25/19 for $718.06 for equipment not returned! So due to their incompetence of not keeping track of THEIR inventory and incoming shipments for TWO MONTHS, they seem to think I am required to pay for equipment that delivered back on Aug 2, 2019 since they are incapable of managing their inventory? I will not pay this as I DO NOT OWE IT!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Issue 1: I first called to discontinue service and was informed I was done. I continued to receive bills so I called a second time and was informed I needed to submit the request in writing. Continued to receive bills so I called a third time, the information I submitted was insufficient. Continued to receive bills. Called a 4th time and they let me know they have monthly billing cycles so I was tied down for an extra month and they need 30 day notice so looped me in for an additional month. All told 6 MONTH PROCESS TO CANCEL.

Issue 2: I moved during the period of my contract, to this day, 3 years later, they have the wrong address for my service. Numerous calls to update address, they bill at the correct address but provide service for the wrong one. HORRIBLE attention to detail.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

This company is on my list to never do business with again. Watch out for long term contracts that they try to get you to agree to. When you do fulfill your contract and then cancel, be sure to document your request and ask for email confirmation. Otherwise you may find yourself with a your word against mine situation. I'm tired of doing business with companies that just try to squeeze every penney they can out of me. I am switching my business to smaller, local companies that have actual people that I can talk to face to face if I have any questions or issues.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

We have only had security system for a few months now and have had nothing but issues with it. The front door sensor, battery kept dying and saying it wasn't connecting, then you guys sent us a new front door sensor(and charged me for it). Wtf. It worked for couple weeks. Now it's not working again, for way more than a month. We are not happy. We would like to cancel service without penalty. My wife wants to call the attorney general and Better Business Bureau and give you guys a bad Google review. I told her no, so let's see what you guys can do to make us happy.

Protection 1 expert review by Ben Mannes

Home security systems start at $34.99/month with home automation features available for an additional charge. Professional installation costs $99.

• Flexible security plans: Protection 1 offers flexible plans that you can customize to your home, security preferences and monitoring needs (landline or cellular).

• Equipment features: Add remote door locks, night vision cameras, wireless doorbells, garage door sensors and more components to create a home security system that meets all your needs.

• Security app: Protection 1's mobile app lets you control home lighting, see live security video, arm or disarm your system, control your thermostat and unlock your doors from anywhere.

• Deductible protection: Protection 1 covers up to $1,000 towards the homeowner’s insurance deductible. Interested consumers should see the website for specific details and restrictions.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
      Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Protection 1 Company Information