It's that easy Request Information
1.36/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Our 24/7 professional monitoring centers will be there to ensure your safety. Protection 1 guarantees when you call for help, you will speak with a real person. Keep your family and business safe - call today!

Protection 1 Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

885 Protection 1 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Had service for 19 years. Price would go up every year. Finally call to cancel service. Got a nice rep that cut my monthly rate by half June 2018. I have done away with landline and call today to cancel. Was put in touch with a manager Jesse and was told that I had 5 months left on contract. Didn't know I had a contract after 19 years. Seems that when I called and got a reduce rate they also wrote a 1 year contract. I was told I would have to pay the 95.00. Seems to me after being a loyal customer for 19 years they would have waived it... Oh no. BE VERY AWARE OF THIS COMPANY IN ANY COMMUNICATIONS YOU MIGHT HAVE. And there is no service doing the next 5 months.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am so sorry that you had this experience. As a 19 year customer we value your tenor and hate to lose you as a customer. I have left you a message with my direct line. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Rhonda

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

After moving into a new home we contracted with what we thought was ADT, a service we had previously used in another state. When the equipment was mailed to us we contacted the local ADT company to come to install the service. We were told at that time we had to install the service ourselves, which is not what was communicated to us at the time we agreed to the service. Also, we were confused when the Protection 1 equipment was delivered since we thought we had contracted with ADT. I do see now, that ADT acquired Protection 1, but it was not evident at that time. Once we realized we had to self-install we knew this was not the type of service we had previously had in another state and we decided we did not want the service. The equipment was never touched and still remains in the box. We contacted Protection 1 to let them know this was not the service we expected and wanted to cancel the service.

We were told it would cost us an exorbitant amount of money to cancel, so we continued to pay for the service although it still remains in the box and has never been installed or activated. A year later I called to cancel the service and the company still wants to charge an exorbitant amount to cancel a service that has never been activated and still remains in the box it was delivered in. This is a company I would never recommend to anyone and the opposite of good customer service. I will do my best to make sure no one I know contracts with ADT or Protection 1. I can't think of worse service, as I have been told I have to continue to pay monthly for two years for a service I have never activated or used. In today's climate, good, quality companies understand the importance of the phrase, "the customer is always right."

Hello Lydia,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I have spoke with your husband and will be sending a return label. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I relocated for a job across the country, and had to live in an interim location that was highly known for crime. Every morning the news would report 2-3 deaths by shooting and burglary in that county alone. At midnight in October I experienced not one, but two break-ins within the same night while sleeping. I know this because the first time my apartment alarm went off, I got up to my front door open. After I called the police, my alarm went off again, and this time my window had been smashed.

Terrified, I called Protection 1 at 7 am the next day to see if they could service the security system in my apartment. They told me they could not, and even though I explained this location was temporary (30 days) they eventually convinced me to run my credit, charge me $40 for the service, and set it up myself since I could not afford a technician. Fast forward to a month later and I am able to relocate, and I never set up the service.

In the process of moving I forget about the box, and a year later when I relocate again, I notice it, and call protection one to cancel. I am on the phone with them for over an hour, where they tell me they can't access my account without my verbal password which I tell them, and they tell me it's not correct. they tell me they are not going to help me, and they'll email me a reset password. ( they never did).

At this point I don't even have an online account because I've never made one, so I create an account and verify my verbal password is exactly what I told them. I call again and get transferred to the most rude, arrogant, sarcastic, and cocky account manager who tells me she doesn't care that I'm cancelling (I believe her name was Bridgett) and then asks me if I would buy more services from her. I tell her I never used the service, it's still in the box, my account shows that Protection One made monthly calls to my box and they always failed because it was never installed, and they never contacted me to see what was going on. If they had called, they would have known I didn't set up the service, and I had relocated.

The rude account manager tells me even after a year of service that I've been paying for it's $750 to cancel. I'm upset, because I called to set up a service out of fear that I told the sales person was temporary, and he failed to tell me it was a multiyear contract and he pressured me to sign asap while I was on the phone or my apartment would continue to be prone to break-ins.

I have continuously explained that I could not set up the service because it was not user friendly, and I cannot transfer the service because I'm living with an individual that already has a security system. So now I must continue paying for a box that has never been used until the end of 2020, all because I was sold a product by a salesperson using a fear tactic, instead of them allowing me to return the box. I let the account manager know I'd be leaving reviews and she told me to "go for it." I would reconsider my experience and review of Protection 1 if they did the right thing by letting me out of my contract since they pressured me to sign while over the phone, and not allowing me ample time to review.

Hi Sierra,

Thank you for taking my call today. Again, my apologies for your experience. I have submitted a request for the return label. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

From start of service we have been lied to about the product, what it offers and the terms of a contract. This contains a lot of details so am unable to write everything down; would take a long time. Our most recent, again, our system isn’t working properly. I scheduled appt to have repaired, again. Was told if I scheduled an 8am appt that I would be the first one of the morning. We run a business out of our home. It is now almost 10am, I have rearranged my schedule to fit this and am still waiting. I called and was told it doesn’t work that way and I will have to wait as the technician is with another customer. I don’t care that he is with another customer and neither do I care if I’m not the first one most all the time but I specifically made this appt for early and was specifically told I we be the first appt because I had other this going on. If I couldn’t be the first at 8am then tell me that, don’t lead me on on the phone but not follow through.

Protection One will lie and and say things to get you to agree to something and it isn’t the truth and then they tell you it wasn’t said. Like being told we could try a camera because the one we had from them wasn’t working and it wouldn’t affect our acct and we could return it if it didn’t work. We tried it for a little over a month it definitely didn’t work so I called and told them that we could bring to them or have them pick it up. We were told that we owed them and would be charged every month accordingly and that our contract was extended due to the change. I asked to hear the recording of the conversation was told they listened to it but they wouldn’t let me hear it. I will NEVER use ADT or Protection One again. Our contract is up in April, never again. We have been customers for a very long time and it has been one lie after another locking up into another extension. These people are a rip off.

Hi Cynthia,

Thank you so much for taking my call today. I apologize for poor communication with the service call. If I don't have a time for a service call today, I should definitely next week. Please keep my number if you have any questions or concerns.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Switched from ADT to Protection 1 because there was 1 year left in our contract. Did the on your own setup and called CS because the system wasn't working and because they sent me a system that belonged to someone in NY. 06/01/18 - The CS Rep sent me a return label via email and the system was returned. Well, someone took this as being our system that was returned and not the extra or wrong system and inactivated our account. I didn't realize they were no longer debiting our account monthly until I received a call that I was past due.

07/24/18 - I called and was told our service was inactivated because I returned the system. Explained yet again that I did not return our system, but one that was sent to us in error. Was told I would get 1 month free and the system would be reactivated in the next 24 hours. I just had to go to alarm.com, but was told a CS would call to help setup. Got the call, but nothing worked. All the time, I am getting 2 calls minimum a day, but when answered no one ever says anything even when it goes to vm... no message EVER left.

10/12/18 - Called a few months later and the CS rep said she sent an email to the alarm.com people to reactivate the system and once she receives a response she would call me back. Waited and had to call them after 13 days on 10/25/18. Spoke with 5 CS reps including one that said she gave all the info to her Supervisor and he would give me a call with a resolution. 10/31/18 - Waited 5 days then I called them and asked to speak with this Supervisor... He was out and so they left a message on my account showing that I called.

12/27/18 - Decided to try again almost 2 months later, because I am still receiving Collection calls (as one of the CS reps told me)... spoke with a rep and she was trying to help, but said I needed a new cell cord... I asked if we just return the equipment and call it a wash, she said no. So here I am again... Waiting on a call back from the CS rep who in fact wanted to tell me off (you could tell she held her tongue) when I told her it's their fault I am in this predicament. All I did was return equipment that was meant for someone in NY... trying to do the right thing... Will never use again. Never had an issue with ADT, but Protection 1 is another story!

Hello Oretha,

Thank you so much for taking my call today. I sincerely apologize for your experience. This not what I want for my customers and understand your frustration. I have noted the account with our conversation. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any concerns.

Rhonda

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protection 1?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

We have been serviced by Protection1 for 8 years, ever since our company moved its headquarters to Los Angeles. In 2015, our corporation changed its business name, and therefore, contacted Protection1 to change the name of the account. I called Protection1, and they asked me to put in the inquiry via email. I emailed them, and they got right back to me stating to sign the document to set the account with new name. Without any suspicion, I signed the document and they changed the name of the account.

After 3 years of using service, I contacted Protection1 to cancel the service because we had to relocate our headquarters overseas. When I contacted Protection1 to terminate the service, they informed me that I signed off a 5 year contract in 2015. I explained to the customer service representative that I requested for a name change back in 2015 and did not open a new service account. The representative informed that I signed off a new account with 5 year contract, and had to pay an outrageous termination fee of $1,584.00 after issuing a fee adjustment of $600.

I am furious with Protection1's actions for: 1. setting up a new account without informing me that they were setting up a new account when I simply asked them to change the name on the account 2. not informing me that I am signing off a new contract with a 5 year term 3. expecting me to pay off the full remainder service fees.

If I knew that I was setting up a new account with a new corporation name instead of changing the name on the account, I would have asked about the terms and read over the document more carefully. However, because the sales representative gave me false information and tricked me into signing off a new contract, wouldn't you agree that this was clearly a fraudulent action taken by Protection1?

I have the name of the sales representative who tricked me into signing a ridiculous contract as well as the emails he wrote to me. In all those emails, he did not mention that he was setting up a new account, and yet, here I am stuck with an outrageous termination fee that Protection1 is expecting me to pay. I even provided all the emails and proofs to Protection1 stating that I was scammed, but they ignored my statements and proofs. If Protection1 continues to demand for the termination fee, I will report this issue to the consumer affairs department.

Hi Jee,

I am so sorry to learn of your concerns. I have left a message with my direct contact information and look forward to the opportunity to speak with you soon.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Recently upgraded my home from the Ademco Vista system to their new Alarm.com system so I could arm/disarm etc. from my cell phone. To upgrade I had to sign a new extended contract. After the new installation (to which the installers did not follow instructions provided at the contract signup call) we had repeated issues with the new Image Sensor. Several false alarms later they dispatched a technician to troubleshoot. This is within a week or two after installation. During the phone call the operator states my system doesn't have a warranty so they had to charge. I told them it is BRAND NEW and she relented stating they would "waive the charge". My wife stays home to meet technician and he moves location.

Within a week it triggers another false alarm. Call again. Said they would normally charge but would "waive the charge." Okay. In the meantime need to bypass the sensor to arm. Wife stays home again to meet technician. He replaces the sensor. Within a day, sensor malfunction. Find out technician did not pair it right. Fix that. False alarm again. Again told I have no warranty but would "waive the charge" after reviewing case file. Told them I don't want it, replace it with traditional motion sensor. Dispatch technician again. Technician at house says he can't replace it with motion because..."not under warranty". They can replace it with another image sensor. Told technician just going to false alarm again, then wife has to stay home again, and repeat cycle. Told to just remove it.

Protection 1 used to be customer-oriented before being purchased by conglomerate ADT. Now you can tell they want to charge for everything and have crappy cheap products. After my contract is up (stupid me for signing for 3 years) I'm going another route. Zero problems with old system. Stick with yours if you have it, not worth new contract for substandard products. Have been Protection 1 customer for 6 years, been great. Not the same Protection 1 experience anymore.

Hi Shane,

Thank you so much for taking time to speak with me today, it is truly appreciated. I sincerely apologize for this experience and as I said not one that I want for my customers. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I own several rent homes and had moved most of my security monitoring business away from Protection 1 due to poor prior service. I had one property though where the equipment needed updating so I asked Protection 1 to start new monitoring service out there in order to get new equipment installed. This was in June. Starting in July, I started getting billed a second $39.99 to go along with the only other rent house that was using Protection 1. I thought all things were cool (two homes, two charges) until mid-November when my tenant called to say that there was a short in the wiring that caused the alarm to go off at night for a couple of days. Since Protection 1 neither called me nor the tenant I called support and asked why they didn't contact us. They stated they didn't have a record of that address being a Protection 1 client. I then questioned why I was being charged for services I wasn't getting. They also didn't show that I was being charged.

After escalating to "management" on two different occasions and being told they would definitely get to the bottom of this, I received no return correspondence. I got a hold of another manager who basically told me I was lying since she couldn't find that they were monitoring that home or that they were charging me double. I sent her my bank statements showing her the double billing (some on the same day, some a day a part) and a week later I told them that we had the service call paperwork from June and the voicemail from them calling a week later to ask how the install went. She didn't reply to that bit of information either.

It's been since before Thanksgiving that I started this and still have received nothing back, even after threatening to get my attorneys involved. In the interim, I stopped the auto-drafting of my credit card and have disputed the past 6 months of double billing (yes, they did it again in December) with my credit card company. I have also begun looking for a new monitoring company for the house they don't seem to have a record of but unfortunately am stuck with them on the other property until August of next year. Their customer service and lack of communication is atrocious and I will be glad when I am fully free and clear of them.

Hi Kris,

I am sorry to hear of you experience, my apologies for the inconvenience. I have left you a message with my contact information. I hope to hear from you soon.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I have been a Protection 1 customer for about 10 years and even installed two more systems in my children’s homes. Recently I had 5 windows and a door in my home replaced. The installers made certain the wires were still exposed so they could be set with the security sensors. When Protection 1 came out, the installer reconnected all, charged me $125 and left within 30 minutes.

Two months later I received a bill for $700. I was certain it was a mistake. When I spoke to customer service about this the rep could not explain much except to state the bill was not an error. I asked the name and contact info of the local manager and was told they could not divulge that info!! I spoke to two more reps over the last month and finally felt forced to pay it otherwise they would report a credit problem. I told three reps I felt they were taking advantage of me as they never advised me that 30 min job would cost $700. I surely would not have agreed. It is very disappointing they have treated a loyal customer so badly.

Hi Connie,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I have left you a voice mail with my direct number. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

After a failure of part of the system the tech turned off that part of the system and left the house unprotected. After trying many times to get them to correct the problem I gave up and ordered another system and cancelled Protection 1. Now they want to charge me $800 cancellation fee. That is the thanks you get when you have been with them for 33 years. It seems the only thing they care about is your money. Think twice before you have anything to do this company.

Hi Arthur,

I apologize for your experience and thank you for sharing the information. I have left a voicemail with my direct number and look forward to speaking with you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

My husband and I have been with Protection 1 for about 4 or 5 years now. We've never had an issue until this past July. We bought a new house that had an ADT system installed. I called and asked if the current system at the house would be compatible to use with the Protection 1 system, after looking into it I was told the current system in the new house would be compatible but they would be to install an updated keypad. So I made an appointment for a tech to come out and do that. We went ahead and transferred service to our new home.

The tech showed up to install our new keypad but proceeded to tell me the current door and window sensors would not be guaranteed to work with their system and if any of the sensors failed they would not cover them. He contacted someone for pricing info on new sensors, motion sensor and fire alarm. He told me it would be $300. I let it be and went ahead and had him install new sensors and keypad.

Fast forward to this last Monday night, November 26. I left my house to take my son to practice and leaving my oldest son at home by himself with the alarm set to stay. I wasn't even 5 minutes down the road when I received a notification from my ring that someone was at my front door. I called my son and could hear the alarm going off in the background and told my son to go upstairs to my closet and hide. After I had turned around and was driving back home I received a call from the monitoring department and transferred over to tell her it wasn't a false alarm, my son is home by himself and they needed to dispatch police immediately. She asked to stay on the phone with me until police arrived, I told her I could not do that, I needed to transfer back over to my son who was in the house alone. I made it home, thankfully to find that the person did not make it into my house.

After 10 min and still no police officer I called Protection 1 back and was told the police officer was canceled. I asked by who because it wasn't us. Come to find out our police station has a 2 zone trigger policy before they consider it not be a false alarm (you are an alarm company and this should have been communicated to us in some way before signing a contract).

I asked the lady on the phone what good this did me if they come in the front door and go right back out the front door with my stuff. I was told to call 911 and have them dispatch police immediately (again I'm thinking this is a pointless step since this is what you claim- "Since 1988, Protection 1 continues to grow and become a leader in the full service security industry. We strive to provide services to residential, commercial and national customers. We will customize your security system to fit your specific home or business needs. Our 24/7 professional monitoring centers will be there to ensure your safety. Protection 1 guarantees when you call for help, you will speak with a real person. Keep your family and business safe - call today"!).

So of course since at this point I realize I'm on my own in this situation I called 911 to dispatch police because I'm a mother by herself with 4 children in the dark and I have no idea if the person who attempted to get in my front door has gone around and hiding behind my house. After a couple days to process what had happened, I called today to speak to a supervisor to figure out for the future if this is indeed protocol. I was told that "must be" (like a shrug of the shoulders, I don't know but if that's what you were told kind of way).

I asked if the 3 buttons on my keypad actually did me any good in the event I actually pushed them. I was told, "Yes. Those would be immediate." (Now keep in mind the tech installed our keypad next to the entry door from our garage.) I asked if I was supposed to send my son in front of the front door to press the panic button and then run back in front of the front door, up the stairs to hide in my closet? I told them if that's the way to get immediate help I wanted my keypad moved to my bedroom. I was then transferred to service and was told the first 30 min would cost me $120 at which point I quit listening because I was so dumbfounded by the lack of communication in every aspect as well as not willing to work with a customer but choosing to charge out the ** for business.

You as a company have done nothing to protect or feel safe in my home. My $99 ring doorbell did more for me than the $300 system that needed to be installed as well and as installation fee and $55 supposed monitoring fee a month for almost 5 years. For anyone who is considering Protection 1 for their home security system please don't do it. You will be better off and less expensive to buy the Ring doorbell and cameras to protect your property.

Hi Ashley,

I am so sorry to learn of this scary situation. I have left you a voicemail with my direct number and hope to speak with you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Last year I called Protection 1 because my bill was so high. I came upon an agreement with a rep at Protection 1 for an amount that was fair (due to the fact that I saw a better price from ADT). Protection 1 took over from my original home security company whom I loved and never had a problem with. The sales rep asked me how long I would agree to the price we settled on and I told her 5 years and she said ok. I finally got my revised bill and paid it. This year I got a bill where the rate was higher and was charged for a service rep to come to my house who stayed for less than 5 minutes to fix a problem from a lightning storm that in previous years I was able to call my previous alarm company and they walked me through it over the phone and the problem was fixed-no charge. They couldn’t do that at Protection 1.

I again called Protection 1 in regards to the enormous charge for the service rep and for the increase in my bill. The billing rep removed the service charge and I explained to her my call from last year. She said that I should have received information on a price increase and told her I never got anything so she put me on hold to check on that and she couldn’t find anything either. She tried to transfer me to billing but supposedly they were busy so she took both my home and cell phone numbers to have the billing department call me back. I never got a call. I saw that my bill was coming due so I sent in a check for the price I was originally quoted. I wrote the information on the bill with the check.

All of a sudden I started getting phone messages stating that I had important information regarding my security system so I called and it was determined that I still owed a small amount on my bill. I proceeded to explain to the rep the info stated above and she said that she would let her manager know and this would be taken care of. I am STILL receiving phone calls! I have never had any problems with any company like I have with Protection 1. I sorely miss my previous alarm company. I was with them for many years until Protection 1 took over and never once had a problem with them. Protection 1 will make your blood pressure go up!

Hello Helen,

I am so sorry to learn of your experience. I have left you a voicemail and sent an email with my direct phone number. I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you soon,

Rhonda

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

When I bought my home it had their system in it so I kept it and activated it in my own name. Every time I made a service call appointment the tech showed up before scheduled time, was late, without proper equipment to fix my OUTSIDE camera or just did not show up. A few times the tech that came out had no idea how to install an outside camera and just left it for us to call for another appointment. I just recently canceled my service just after my 2 year renewal and was never sent a final bill. After 2 months I started to receive calls and text messages from them demanding payment of $765 ($750 early termination fee plus $14). I explained I never got a bill once I canceled my service.

They emailed me a bill the next day with a due date at the end of the month. They continued to call me multiple times a day all hours of the day including 9 o’clock at night! When I got the money to pay them off I asked the rep why they are harassing me for payment when the bill wasn’t even past due yet, I was told it was due a month prior and asked again when I was going to pay it! I would never use or refer anyone to this company again. Only thing good I can say is when my dog set off the alarm they did not hassle us about it.

Hi Kimberly,

Thank you so much for taking my call today. I sincerely apologize for your experience and will review the account with our training department to make sure the account is set up for a paper bill after cancellation.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and again my apologies for this experience.

Rhonda

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I have been a customer for 6 months and have had the worst experience with this company. First they enter my address wrong which then causes issue every time I call them. It took multiple calls to get that corrected. Second, I was never given yard or window signs and when I request them 3 times I never received them. Third, the motion detector batteries run out ever month and yes I do use the recommended lithium-ion batteries. Fourth, my keypad is malfunctioning and customer service told me to read the instructions and reset it... Still not working. Fifth, I called a few weeks ago frustrated trying to cancel service due to all of the issues I have experienced and they said you SR under contract and I would have to pay to get out.

During this call I scheduled a service appointment to correct all the issues... NO Saturday appointments! Oh unless I want to pay for it. NOT customer focused. I did receive an email confirming my appointment between 1-5. Today I get an email confirming 8-12 with the same ticket number! I called service and they gave me some ridiculous answer as to why it did that. Add this to the list of issues I have had with this company.

Hi Matt,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I have left you a message with my contact information and hope to hear from you soon. Thank you in advance.

Rhonda

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Do not use Protection 1! We only started using them because the house we purchased had the system installed, so we figured why not. Fast forward a year and a half later, my husband received a promotion so we are moving out of state. Called to cancel and it's going to be an $800 cancellation fee. Absolutely absurd amount, I understand a cancellation fee but that is ridiculous. No assistance, plus the system and technology pales in comparison to other companies.

Hi Deanna,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, I am sorry to hear of your frustration. I have left a voice mail with my direct number for both you and Derrick. Please feel free to give me a call.

Rhonda

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

They sent me the alarm system without me signing a contract which was clearly not what my house needed. Never opened the box and immediately called to send it back since I needed a much larger security system for the size of my house. After refusing to take the equipment, which I originally was open to the idea of a larger system of all things the service was never used. I've been getting billed now for nearly two years for a system that was never used. Told that I "signed" a contract that I never did. Since then I've had an entirely different company come out and install a new system on my network. The box is still sitting in my garage and I'm still receiving bills and automatic withdraws from my account.

This isn't just myself being unhappy about the product. This is flat out fraudulent, unethical and negligent on their part. For the longest time I just wanted the charges to stop. I'm now to the point that I want a full refund, which isn't asking much, considering telling me I signed a contract that I did not is illegal. I would of needed to actually of seen a contract to of signed it, let alone also have a signed version of the contract myself. I wouldn't even call to inquire about this company, you have no idea what trouble you might be getting yourself into.

Hi Tyler,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I have left you a message with my direct number. I look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I have been a loyal customer of Protection 1 for 17 yrs and in September of this year we moved out of state. There wasn’t any way we could transfer our service because they do not service our area. In May of 2017 we upgraded our system with them to include digital for my phone. When I went to cancel they said I would be charged a fee 'cause my contract wasn’t up till May of 2019. Then even though I called in September they didn’t put cancellation through till October 2 and charged me 62.99 for October. So I now owe them a balance of 475.46. They wouldn’t work with me even though I had been a loyal customer for so many years. If people are looking for a protection plan I definitely wouldn’t go with them. Not consumer friendly at all. Stay clear!! They only care about their contracts and taking your money.

Hi Charlene,

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. It is true you have been a long time customer and we value your loyalty. I am so sorry that this was not conveyed to you during the calls. I have left you a message with my direct contact information. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Signed up for the do it yourself installation. Ended up being more expensive to hire an electrician than just going with ADT instead. Never set up the system and they refused to let me cancel without paying the full 3 year contract just months after signing up. Went through a separation and moved out of the rental home we were in. I highly suggest reconsidering any purchase with this company. Horrible customer service. Horrible business model. Absolute trash. Worse than DIRECTV. Go to Best Buy and invest in a Nest system. Far better across the board. Would not recommend ADT or Protection 1 to people I can’t stand. I will be reporting to the BBB and will do my best to keep this company from robbing any other consumers.

Hi Justin,

I have left you a message with my contact number. I look forward to hear back from you. Thank you.

Rhonda

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

We have been a Protection 1 customer for 18 years and the bills have increased with little information on the breakout of the increases. Recently we had the service start to alarm in the middle of the night for no apparent reason. They had us disconnect the plug and battery and could not a service tech to the house for nearly a week. The phone rep did mention that we had a good plan and possibly the service would be covered.

The service tech did a good job of debugging the problem, but did not inform me of the cost of the new parts. We recently received a bill for almost $650 half for parts and half for service. The Tech was here for a little over an hour and the service charge was $330. The hourly service charges should have been communicated when we called and the Tech should have told us how much the parts would cost before installing. At $70 a month and almost a $700 service bill has me looking at NEST system.

Hello Thomas,

Thank you so much for bringing this concern to our attention. I sincerely apologize for this experience and would love the opportunity to speak with you. I have left you a voicemail with my direct number, I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you.

Rhonda

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I've been a valued customer of ASG Security for a number of years without any issues. ASG merged with Protection1 and ADT, and it seems quality is suffering. I moved earlier this year and purchased a brand new home that had an alarm system wired already. I called ADT to activate the system, and they said it wouldn't be a problem. I reviewed the type of system/equipment that was installed and again, I was told that should be a simple activation. Then we scheduled a technician to arrive in a few days.

I rearranged my calendar to work from home and waited all day. He never showed up. Apparently, there was an issue with scheduling, but they didn't relay this to me. They scheduled another technician to activate the system a few days later. Again, I rearranged my schedule to work from home and had to cancel a few meetings. A technician showed up and spent several hours, trying to figure out the system. I informed him I had to leave to pick up my kids from school. He said he would need to come back the next day.

Day 3 of rearranging my calendar to work from home and missing out on key meetings. He arrived and was at my house for hours until I had to leave to pick my up kids from school again. He said he would need to come back for a 3rd day. Day 4 of rearranging my schedule, day 3 of this technician trying to figure out how to activate the system. I had to be home all day, which is a major inconvenience as I not only had meetings to attend but various other appts/errands, etc that I was unable to accomplish for the past 4 days. He spent the entire day at my house (again). I finally asked him what the delay is and why is this taking so long. He admitted he couldn't figure out how to get the system working and needed to have his boss come by to hopefully figure it out. I was beyond annoyed at this point, I told him the boss needed to be at my house by 10 am the next morning, I waited until 10:30 and had to leave.

The technician took the equipment that was in my house and nobody can locate it. He installed 2 ADT keypads and now they need to come back to remove the ADT equipment, or I will be charged almost $900. So now I'll have holes in the walls because they took my existing equipment and I have to return their equipment. So unbelievable. Fast forward a few months and I keep getting bills for the old house that we canceled service on. Now I've had to spend hours trying to get the billing squared away. Every time I speak with someone who says I shouldn't see another bill and it should be taken care of. I repeat this every single month. I would never use or recommend Protection1/ADT to anyone. This was such an annoying, inconvenient, and costly waste of time.

Hi Angela,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I did want to reassure you that your account balance is currently zero since 9/23/2018.

I would love the opportunity to speak with you and have left you a message with my direct number. Please feel free to give me a call. Thank you so much for your time.

Rhonda

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

We purchased this system for my sons apt. First of all we weren’t able to attempt to install for three or four months. Then we attempted to install and could never get the alarms to work on any of the doors or windows. They didn’t fit properly. So we had the system but never used it. Did not even plug it in. We started to get bills demanding payment and we weren’t even able to install it. They were telling us they were monitoring and it wasn’t and never was turned on. We repeatedly told them they we weren’t able to use the system.

I paid for the system plus several months of service we hadn’t even used and I thought that was the end of it. Now after five months of my son not even being at that location I’m getting a letter telling us they have terminated our service for nonpayment and they are going to turn it over to a credit bureau. This is a scam operation. I have called them several times to try and rectify the situation to no avail. They are asking for us to pay almost $1000 for a service we NEVER used. BEWARE STAY AWAY! Go to Sam’s and buy a unit. Much better off.

Hi Cheryl,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I have left you a voice mail message with my contact information. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I recently sold my property on the 25th of April 2018 and was looking forward to regaining service for my new build. In May I was told by the retention team that my services could be suspended for 6 months and I could reactivate once completed. However the build would run over the allotted time, I was then told service could be deactivated for $750.00 and that amount could be credited back to the account if I reactivate at the new address.

I agreed to those terms and anticipated the bill, all of my balances were paid in good standing. Now I am learning that my account was placed on a 60 day hold and I was billed for 3 months. No one even updated my billing address to where I could know my account was still activate and now I am being told I will be held accountable for a service I did not have! I am only learning of this once I received a call late September for past due balances. I have been told so many different accounts of policy and have become so confused on what is true and what is false!!!

I have been with ASG/Protection 1 going on 5 years and have never experienced such poor account management. I have been told 60 day freezes are incorrect and 90 day is the standard. Then I was informed by a supervisor, that 6 month is possible as well. They offered to credit my account for only 2 months and make me pay for a service I did not ask for. They attempted to have me keep my account active until Feb with me paying $411 in charges with no service and not even get my cancellation credit (which makes no sense.) When I asked to have my account closed numerous during my phone conversation they would not do so. I asked for a manager. They told me that they do not take calls. I was also told once I reactive service I would be billed for Nov-Jan even though I wouldn't reactivate until late Feb-early March.

Again me paying for service that I do not have, there was never an issue of me paying the remainder 24 months but what I don't understand the fact of being charged when I do not have service. I don't understand why if I'm constantly being given the wrong information and the billing was in part of mismanagement of my account, why should I be held liable?

Hi David

Thank you so much for taking my call earlier today. I sincerely apologize for any confusion or misinformation provided to you. I appreciate the opportunity to work on a resolution and keep you as a customer. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns. Have a great day.

Rhonda

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I have been a customer of Protection 1 since 2007. I am in the process of upgrading my security system and naively thought that my current provider would be the easiest path. My initial conversation was excellent, as the representative presented a solution that suited my needs and he was able to explain the features and benefits clearly. I received a proposal and a request to perform a 'speed test' for my WiFi/internet connection. I completed the test and sent the results back to the representative.

One week later, I had not heard back from Protection 1 regarding an installation date. I called them and spent 45 minutes on the phone (before I had to end the call to go to a meeting) with no resolution. While I understand that this second representative was new, I believe camera placement should be driven by the security experts, not me. Additionally, telling me now that I must have an outlet within 5 feet of the camera seems ridiculous. I asked,"Couldn't anyone just unplug the camera?" To which the reply was, "At least you'll have them recorded unplugging it." She also suggested that I could move the cameras myself, if I did not like the views. Eleven years ago, we initially selected Protection 1 because of their expertise. It seems they are no longer a leader in the industry.

Hello John,

I am disappointed to hear of your experience and it sounds like you have received less than our best. My sincere apologies. I have left you a voicemail message with my contact information. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Was a customer for 21 years; my system is old so they sent a tech out to fix two sensors. By the way the tech did not anything about my system. I knew more than he did. They want to charge me $367.29 and the system has not worked since they came out. I called immediately to report it was not working. I have called 6 more times, spent many hours on the phone, and still I cannot get this fee off my bill.

Hello Judy,

I apologize for your experience, I would be disappointed and frustrated as well. I have left you a voicemail with my contact information. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

We used Protection One many years ago. We let the contract expire and all seemed fine. Now we are getting calls from a collection agency saying we owe about $200. When I explained we hadn’t used their services for at least 15 years, they said the account was turned over to collections in July 2005! This is the first we’ve heard of it, and it certainly sounds like a scam. How does an account go to collections without any notice first? And how does a debt collector wait 13 years to make the first call? Really? We didn’t owe anything back then, and certainly don’t owe anything now.

Hi Joy,

I am sorry to learn of your concern. I am unable to access your account with the information provided. I will send you an email with my contact information. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I got the do it yourself kit. When I got it I had to leave the apartment I just rented for mold issues for over a month. I moved back in and was gonna try to hook it up, the sensors would not line up so I called to see if someone could come out and help. They refused to send anybody several times. So I never used it since nobody try to help. I sent it back because what's the point of having it if I can't use it anyway. Then try to cancel. They said I owed them 750 for they did nothing for me. When I was told if I canceled early it would be 76 dollars. They did nothing to help me. Poor customer service. I really felt like I was left out to dry.

Hi Jeff,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. Unfortunately the DIY agreement does not include professional install or technician visits. However we do replace equipment at no charge. I have left you a message with my direct contact information and look forward at the opportunity to speak with you. Thank you,

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Updated on 10/26/2018: I was thrilled when a rep reached out to me. We talked on the phone and I was supposed to get a follow up via email - and nothing. I’m having issues again and tried to call that rep and - nothing. I’m hoping that I wasn’t scammed by someone pretending to be from this company.

Original Review: I’ve been a Protection One customer since 1999, through several moves and relocations for work, and now here at my home for the past 12 years. Two years ago, I wanted to cancel as I had an aging system and there are so many alternatives out there. I called and was convinced that they could install the latest equipment - including cameras - for less than I was paying for month on the old fashioned system. After asking a ton of questions, including things like having control over bypasses, panel sounds and early alerts for low batteries in monitored detectors, I stupidly signed a 60 month contract. We have special needs kids and old sensitive dogs who really are thrown off by smoke detector beeps and other loud noises.

The technician was not great - I got the feeling he didn’t want to figure out how to run the wires for the outdoor camera, and so he fed me some story about how it wouldn’t be effective outside (I really wanted it there. We’ve had many things stolen off our porch). He then conned me into paying him personally for a CO detector he had in his truck - which I just noticed tonight expires in 2021.

Anyway, I’m disgusted that the detectors are no better than my battery ones when they need new batteries. They beep and chirp and the panel screams at you when you try to make any changes. You cannot bypass those in the system, and there’s no way to even turn off touchpad beeps on the panel - or even to turn them down! So these are really first world problems, but when you have a family that is super sensitive to this stuff, it’s a real PITY. I really hope they get their business together and make these systems customizable like their competitors. I feel like I was sold stories and don’t have the flexibility I believed I was getting with Protection One.

Hello Amilyn,

I am sorry to hear of your experience. I have left a message on your cell phone with my contact information. Please feel free to reach out to me. Thank you so much and I look forward to hearing from you.

Rhonda

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I had ADT for many years...and they were fine. Moved to an area that ADT didn't service and they suggested Protection 1 (which I think is owned by ADT). I purchased a wireless alarm system and a 3 year contract. I installed the system in Feb 2018 and have had nothing but problems with it. The first sensor failed within a month. In the last 6 months I have had to replace 2 sensors, the camera doesn't work anymore and 2 more sensors are bad that they will not replace. Their customer service is helpful until you complain... and then you are blacklisted and they don't care anymore. I am paying 100% full price for a system that works 60% of the time. It is a garbage system with no support after a few months. I WANT OUT OF MY CONTRACT FOR YOUR GARBAGE SYSTEM!

Hi Kevin,

I am so sorry to hear of your difficulties. I have left you a message with my direct number. I would love the opportunity to speak with you. Thank you and have a great day.

Rhonda

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I'm so beyond frustrated that after 10 YEARS!!! I'm getting a collection call today?? Why?? I called and canceled. They said they would cancel, Since I was moving and contract was over at 2 years. But now and 10 YEARS later now a ridiculous collection agency is doing threats. Just Great! Thanks to Protection 1. Destroying a loyal past customer credit.

Hi,

I am sorry to hear of your experience. Unfortunately with the information provided I am unable to access your account. I have sent you an email with my contact information. I hope to hear from you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Before I last renewed my contract with Protection 1 over the phone, I told them I was selling my house in the near future and asked if that would release me from the contract. They said of course. Now I just sold my house and recommended them to the new buyers who booked an installation. Since I have Protection 1 at another address, I assumed I could have the referral bonus that is usually offered. I called to cancel and was told that I owed over $200 for the rest of the contract and that I also had to pay an extra two weeks until the new owners had their installation appointment. Absolutely no referral fee. (I had the service for seven years and another property with the service for six years, so I would have thought I was a valued customer who should be treated better.)

I told him that I never would have renewed had I not cleared this first and that I was told I would not be responsible if I moved. He told me it was probably a word misunderstanding between "moved" and "sold." Are you kidding me? When I said I would cancel my other property too, the service agent finally told me that as a compromise, he would drop the remainder due on my contract, but no referral credit. He kept telling me that they had a AAA rating with Better Business Bureau. That does not help me. I will start looking for another alarm company for the future. Simple transactions should not be this difficult.

Hi W C,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience, this is not what I want for our customers. Unfortunately I was not able to access an account with the information provided. I have sent you an email with my direct line and I would love the opportunity to resolve any concerns.

Protection 1 expert review by Ben Mannes

The company offers wired and wireless systems with or without home automation, as well as flexible pricing. Choose from 6 packages for $34.99-$54.99. Systems have 3-5 year contracts, with warranty options of 3-years or 90 days. Self-installed and professional installation are available.

• Flexible plans: Protection 1 offers flexible plans that you can customize to your home, your security preferences and monitoring options (e.g. landline or cellular).

• Home automation: Log into Protection 1's mobile apps for remote access to automate home lighting, see live security video, arm or disarm your system, control your thermostat, unlock your doors and more.

• Versatile equipment: Consumers can add remote door locks, night vision cameras, wireless doorbells, garage door sensors and more to create a home security system that perfectly meets your needs.

• Deductible protection: Protection 1 customers have extra protection in the event of a burglary. The company will cover up to $1,000 towards the homeowner’s insurance deductible. Interested consumers should see the website for specific details and restrictions.

• Referral bonus: When existing customers recommend Protect 1 to a friend who signs up for monitoring, the original customer will earn a $50 referral bonus. The bonus will be paid as an account credit.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Protection 1 Company Information