1.87/5
  • 1 star
Based on 40 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1988, Protection 1 continues to grow and become a leader in the full service security industry. We strive to provide services to residential, commercial and national customers. We will customize your security system to fit your specific home or business needs.

Our 24/7 professional monitoring centers will be there to ensure your safety. Protection 1 guarantees when you call for help, you will speak with a real person. Keep your family and business safe - call today!

Protection 1 Video
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 15, 2017

793 Protection 1 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Resolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Worst customer service, installation and sales team I’ve ever dealt with. Watch out for the bait and switch, and if you’re fortunate enough to have someone actually show up at any appointment you make you’ll be disappointed with the product. After I was told there would be no cost for the hardware they sent me a bill for 2+K. Their installers missed 6 appointments, no one called, l and not so much as an apology. This is my story but suit yourself. Worst company EVER!

Hello Ari,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience and would love the opportunity to speak with you. I have left you a message with my direct number and look forward to talking with you soon.

Sincerely,

Rhonda

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I have been with Protection 1 for the past 10 years and prior to them, I was stuck with ADT. I have never had an issue with the Protection 1 service and when I called with questions or an equipment issue, I received an answer or resolution right away. I am so very sorry they have merged with ADT, who I consider lower than scum. Guess it is time for me to move on as I had nothing but issues with ADT and have no desire to ever do business with them again.

Hello Brad,

Thank you so much for accepting my call today and sharing your concerns about the merger between Protection 1 and ADT. Considering your experience with ADT I can certainly understand your concerns. I hope that sharing our vision for the company going forward as we merge into 1 company helped to ease some concerns.

We are very fortunate to have you as a customer for 10 years; this kind of loyalty is not always common in today’s age and truly valued. I hope that you allow us the opportunity to demonstrate that we will continue to appreciate your business and provide the best in customer service.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns. Thank you and have a wonderful week.

Rhonda

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I have been a Protection 1 customer for 12 years. In the past year my system has been suffering from communication failures 6F. Last night my alarm started beeping again at 3:50 AM. I called in and was told to clear it and it would stop, well it stopped then started beeping again a few minutes later and I was told to power down the system and shut it off and service will be out in 7 days! This happened last month and I was refused a service call because "they can't do anything about a communication failure". This has been happening on and off for over a year and even though I pay for the warranty I am refused a service call.

Now I finally get a service call in a week and will have no alarm until then. Protection 1 is terrible and I would recommend that you look elsewhere for an alarm company. I am looking for a new one now. By the way take the day off and wait for our technician. I am writing here because I cannot find a number or email for the corporate office.

Hello John,

Thank you so much for accepting my call and I appreciate you sharing your experience with me. Unfortunately, sometimes this communication is the only way we can learn of negative interactions and make the necessary corrections. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I was pleased to hear that we could dispatch a technician earlier and the system is now working. I have placed the credit on the account we discussed as well. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Resolution response: Nov. 29, 2017

Rhonda resolved my problem quickly and thoroughly.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Have been a customer for 4+ years. Purchased from a solicitor, my first mistake. Camera in my living room is useless due to having pets, but that wasn’t explained well to me. My 2nd mistake. Was verbally told by the solicitor that there was no contract. He lied & I was locked in... I found out 2 years later. 3rd mistake. Called and requested to cancel quite some time ago (mid-2016 I believe) and informed them that my wife and I had both been placed on permanent disability incomes and needed to greatly reduce our bills. Was told I could not cancel until my contract expired. “What contract?” “You signed one, we can mail you the copy.” “I did? OK, send it to me.” When I received it I called back and asked to speak to a high level decision maker.

After explaining my case to this lady (mistake #4, can’t find her name anywhere), I was told that she would take it to her bosses and they would make the final decision. When she returned I was told that if my doctor would write them a formal letter describing my medical and financial condition/situation and requesting my service be eliminated. What?! Needless to say, my doctor wasn’t doing that. Since the letter claimed I had time left on my 3 year contract, I’d have to pay $750 for early termination. Was forced to leave it be until the 3 year expired.

Received a call yesterday (11-21) asking me if I wanted to lock into a new contract for a lower price. Was busy, so I told her I’d call back today. Called to cancel and a guy named Austin tried talking me out of it, offering me cheaper options, refused to understand my financial situation, then told me AGAIN that I was still under contract. Mind you, it’s been over FOUR YEARS!!! I asked how long of a contract and he stated “58 months”. What kind of contract is 58 months? I’ve never heard that in my life. They again claim they can mail this to me, but they are not being truthful!!! The date keeps changing, they are taking advantage of me and it’s shameful. Please help...

Hello James,

Thank you so much for accepting my call and sharing your experience with me. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. I have submitted the request to cancel your account per our conversation. Thank you so much for your business and I send you my thoughts and prayers for better health. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

About 3 years ago I received a knock on my door from a Protection 1 salesman. He stated that since they were in the area for a neighbor I could get this great deal on a new alarm system. I gave all necessary information and he then asked for an emergency contact. I gave him my mother's name. What I didn't realize at the time was that my mother was a customer with her own properties (which I am her emergency contact). Apparently, I didn't pass the credit check so he used my mothers information to open the account (without her knowledge or mine) and used all of my financial information.

Of course billing was drafted automatically so I never saw a bill. Recently, I experienced a break-in and was not pleased with service provided by Protection 1 and wanted to discontinue service. It was then that I was told I had 18 months left on my contract after initially being told that it was a 3 year contract. I was told that I would have to pay $750 to cancel the contract. I requested a copy of the contract that I never received and realized that the contract was never in my name. I also asked for the automatic payments to stop, but a payment was taken out anyway.

Hello Trachelle,

Thank you so much for bringing your concerns to our attention. I am looking forward to the opportunity to resolve your concerns and have left a message for you with my direct line. I am here from 9-4, Monday through Friday. I look forward to hearing from you soon and having a resolution for your concerns.

Rhonda

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protection 1?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Stay away from this company. Salespeople are CON artist looking to make a sale. Customer service reps don't care about your problems. Faulty equipment that goes out within the first 3 weeks of you receiving it. It's all around a HORRIBLE company. I wish I never went with them and I went with Frontpoint. It took me presenting a STRONG case with evidence that I was able to end my contract for FREE and avoid the $800 early termination fee because of their POOR service for them to fix my problem I had called them about FIVE TIMES about.

Hello,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention, we appreciate your time. I have sent you an email with my direct number included. We can correspond via email or by phone, which ever works best for your schedule. I look forward to hearing from you soon and having a resolution for your concerns.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

This company calls my internet phone line repeatedly each day. They mail invoices to MY home for invoices that grow by the day. Today's invoice now states $1,016.13 for a service never provided and charges for the next year into 9/15/2018 for a fraudulent account number of **. I don't use them, never have used them. Better Business Bureau and Consumerist and any other state or federal agencies that monitor fraudulent business practices should watch out for this company. I have even spoke to a live person twice yet no change in their conduct. BEWARE!

Hello Ellen,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I have left a message for you with my direct number. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Warm Regards-

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Since my first contact with them over the phone this company mislead me to think I was talking and signing up with ADT Security Systems; the representative never told me they were Protection 1. I sign up and when the equipment arrived I was surprised to have received equipment from Protection 1 and not ADT, when I called they said they were a branch or have merged with ADT; fact they NEVER disclose this information during our conversation; so I did not even took anything out of the box, just called in to cancel and for them to provide me with return instructions, next day I returned the equipment and now they are charging me a re-stocking fee of $79 which they also failed to disclose when I called to cancel and return the equipment.

This company is misleading the customers and taking advantage of the ADT good reputation to get clients to sign up with them. I don't know how such a good company as ADT allowed this to happen. Now I have an unfair charge of $79 for just receiving and returning an equipment that I did not sign up for; because IF THEY HAVE Disclose the fact that I was not talking to ADT I have not continued to wasting my time over the phone with this so call Protection 1. Be aware and protect yourself from this bunch of thieves.

Hello Liliana,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I am so sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I have left you a message with my direct line to discuss your experience. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you and have a great day.

Regards-

Rhonda

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Worse company EVER! I tripped my home alarm July 2017. Called Protection 1 to notify. Was told by Rep that my home alarm system had not been monitored by Protection 1 since Aug. 2016. Been a customer since 2005 or 2006. I asked for my 1 year refund and was told by some high ranking member that Protection 1 increased it rates so they kept my 1 year of payments ($381.24) and offered me $159 dollars back. Worse company EVER! Wish I could give them Zero Stars! Reported to BBB and MN Attorneys General Office.

Protection 1 response

We have addressed both the BBB and with the Minnesota AG office regarding Ms Speeds concerns. However, I have left a message for Ms. Speed to contact me and discuss her concerns further. I look forward to hearing from her soon.

Regards,

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Terrible Company! Signed up for ADT and Protection 1 came to my house. I questioned the technician because I did not ask for them to come but they forced their way in and set up a protection 1 system. When I called ADT they said it didn't matter. I think this is lousy customer service. Then they had me sign a 3 year contract. When I needed to move, they said I would need to restart my contract. I said screw that and cancelled. In order to cancel early it is $750. I am currently paying that to not deal with this horrible company again. Much cheaper to go with Scout and pay the $750 than it is to keep paying these ROBBERS!

Hi John,

I am so sorry to learn of your experience and would love the opportunity to talk to you for more details. I have left you a message with my contact information and look forward to talking to you soon.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

4 years ago, my wife signed us up for Protection One. The sales guy that knocked on the door then was pushy, high pressure, and absolutely refused to wait until I was there. She signed a 3 year contract, which we were not given a copy of. They came out and installed the equipment, and left with no instruction on its use, and without one of the main features that I had asked for, which they claimed we never asked for. 2 months later, one of the keypads went out. They dispatched a service tech, who replaced the defective keypad, then charged us $100 for the service call. Apparently there was no warranty on their brand-new equipment. Same keypad died another month later, another service call and another $100 later, it was only a battery.

After 3 years, I called and spoke to their customer service and tried to cancel, but was informed I still had 12 months on contract, and would be subject to a large cancellation fee. I let it go, and marked down in my calendar when the contract was up. We called yesterday (12 months later) to cancel again, and were informed that we now had 13 more months on the contract. I asked for a copy of the contract, and was e-mailed a pdf that has my wife's signature electronically added to it, clearly not what she signed 4 years earlier. This company has done nothing but lie and fail to provide the services asked for. They are rude, deceitful, and I will continue to dissuade anyone from ever using them.

Mr. Cowan

Thank you so much for speaking with me today and sharing your experience and concerns. I apologize for any inconvenience or misunderstandings that may have occurred during your time with Protection 1. You are welcome back if your needs ever change.

Customer Relations

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I purchased an alarm system from Protection 1. Self-installed the system correctly (Protection 1 confirmed it), the system did not work. I spent over 20 hours over 2 weeks on the phone with the company trying to troubleshoot and it finally did not work. I decided to return the system as it was not working, now they want to charge me a restocking fee??!! For what?? For a useless system and wasting over 20 hours of my time on the phone??? The left and right hand of the company does not communicate either. Worst customer service experience!!! Worst product! They are thieves!!

Hello Shah,

Thank you so much for taking time today to share experience. I am very disappointed this took place and will work to make sure our other customers do not have the same experience. I wish you well and you are always welcome back should you ever change your mind.

Executive Customer Relations

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

During an inspection by a Protection 1 Technician, he discovered that one of the windows was missing the sensor. It was never installed. I called Protection 1 and informed them of the matter, since they never contacted me, even though the technician reported the issue to them. When I called them, they wanted to charge me $120 for the installation of one sensor, that they originally missed. I have been a loyal customer of theirs for 25 years, and this is what I get for my loyalty? Time to look for another alarm company that can back up their services.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Do not buy services from this company - they are apparently run by money-men and attorneys. In my case, when canceling after I had to move to protect my sanity, I was hit with a $750 "cancellation fee". This charge is exorbitant and unwarranted, and the language hanging this on you is buried in the fine print of a 12 page contract. If they are willing to do this to their customers, what other "gotcha" clauses and business practices do they have up their sleeves?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Now being out of contract and owner of the equipment I paid for many years, Protection 1 refuses to release their link to my cell communicator equipment. Technically an illegal stance (to be fully disputed) this tactic is an attempt to dissuade people from shopping elsewhere. So beware the equipment you think will eventually be yours might not really be under your future control. This marketing gimmick actually causes more harm than good as I will never recommend this company in the future.

Protection 1 response

We have recently contacted Mr. Torres to discuss his concerns in further detail. Although we regret hearing of his dissatisfaction, Protection 1 did abide by the terms of his agreement at all times. We have ensured that his account has been cancelled as he requested.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

It is Sept 16 and this issue has been unresolved since June 29. I have spoken to more than 12 Protection 1 staff and been promised calls back, service dates, etc TO NO AVAIL. Nothing has been fixed and they are also billing the previous property owners - who have ALSO spent hours on the phone with different people with this company. Because Protection 1 has not fixed my issue I have been unable to move into my new home, and thus have been unable to put my old house up for sale, and I am losing thousands of dollars. My only option is going to be to try to get a brand new system installed from another company, thus paying TWICE for the same item. They lie repeatedly - I have been told multiple times that someone will call me back, for example, and they never do. They do not care about me or my family. They do not care about our safety or health.

Protection 1 response

We have reached out to our customer to confirm the cancellation of her service with no fees. If she needs anything further, she is welcome to contact us. For security reasons, we did confirm that we are unable to discuss other customer's account with her. However, customers are always welcome to contact us with any questions or concerns.

Since receiving her additional concerns, I have since spoken to our customer. We are sorry for any continued frustration we have caused her. We have asked her to provide us additional information pertaining to her concerns. We have confirmed that the account has been updated to reflect the current cancelled status. She is welcome to reach out to us if she has any further questions or concerns.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I have been a loyal Protection 1 customer and paid on time for 10 years. Protection 1 called and stated our system must be upgraded to new hardware to continue to work. At the time we were putting our house up for sale, but did not know how much longer we would be there so we proceeded. Never once did they tell us we were signing a new contract that could not be canceled without a termination fee. We did not ask for the upgrades and knowing that we were moving would have never agreed to a new contract. This is a deceptive business practice and I will be fighting this. At this point it is not about the money. It is about large companies misrepresenting themselves to their customers.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I have been an excellent pay on time customer with Brinks-ASG-Protection-1 for over 7 years. During this time they have called me less than 25 times to check what happened when my alarm went off & never called me in the last 5 years. (I have asked for the phone records) So far no results. I decided to cancel my service (front & back door) and they say I owe them $$750.00. My system was not upgraded. I originally paid to start service 7 years ago and was charged 316.00 + 108.00. I was just an old customer they kept stringing along just for a monthly payment.

I have excellent credit rating. So now it will be sent to a collection agency to ruin my credit. This is a huge company so make sure you know what you are getting and how much you have to pay and how ugly they get. Most companies will work with you and be nice about it. Not this one, after 7 years of full paid by me service. Now when I come home, my new alarm system went off before I could turn it off and they were on control panel asking my name, code etc. To see if I was OK. Too bad ASG/P1 didn't call when my alarm went off. Still waiting for phone reports.

Good morning!

Thank you so much for sending us your complaint and I am so sorry this happened to you. We have reached out to the customer and resolved their issues.

Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

Protection-One sold me a defective alarm system that repeatedly malfunctioned for over 3 years. The system frequently detected movement from my back room monitor as if there were an intruder, but these incidences were only malfunctions in the equipment Protection-One sold me. The company never replaced the faulty system, instead they offered to charge me for repair visits. When a window sensor was opened, Protection-One’s equipment completely failed and did not notify anyone, so the open window went unnoticed.

On one occasion I received a phone call from Protection-One minutes after leaving my home. The representative said they detected movement in my back room, the same room monitor that had malfunctioned for 3 years. I told the rep that the movement was a glitch. She could easily see the numerous reports of malfunctions that I’ve made, but she was extremely arrogant and called the cops to bully me. Protection-One charges its customers charged extra if the police are called. Also, when the alarm system malfunctioned, it created an extremely loud and harmful siren sound that damaged my dog's hearing. My dog had to endure this lengthy alarm siren on too many occasions. I ultimately had to disable the alarm sound because of frequent malfunctions.

After years of major aggravation trying to resolve the faulty equipment and injury to my dog’s hearing, Protection-One finally offered to replace the glitchy system, however they installed an inferior quality system that immediately malfunctioned after its installation. The unit continually beeped along with other glitches. The beeping would not stop until the system was completely disconnected from all power sources. I called Protection-One in attempts to resolve the new malfunctioning system but only spoke with arrogant representatives. One bully-representative named Matt boasted that he'll cancel my contract, but only if I pay $700, the costs for the final year of my contract. For 3 years I paid for a defective alarm system that only malfunctioned. Protection-One would not release me from my contract until I spoke about getting a lawyer involved.

Protection-One is a crappy company selling faulty equipment through bully representatives who use rehearsed tactics to cheat their customers. Their excuses for malfunctions can vary, but for my issues, they usually blamed them on a spider. They suggested that a spider had crawled over my monitor on 5 separate occasions. This excuse was absurd. The monitor was in a sterile closed room far from nature. I've actually read other people's reviews who complain about being scammed by similar excuses and tactics.

Additionally, Protection-One systems are not secure. Their repairmen have a bypass code that gives them the ability to access ALL alarm systems. This 4-digit code could be given to anyone. Repairmen were able to access my alarm system with their bypass code without my knowledge. They were able to turn my system on-off and make changes without using my own security code.

The repairmen’s bypass code is the same code that works on ALL Protection-One systems, and it can turn off the alarms to all their customers. A repairman actually told me what the bypass code is and I could easily post the code in this review but it would compromise everyone’s system. This 4-digit code could be given to anyone, including thieves who could quickly disarm any Protection-One alarm. This is a major security risk, no one but the home owner should have the ability to disarm the system. Also, repairmen are able to make changes to the alarm system with their bypass code that customers are not able to do (ex: turn on-off alarm sounds, volume, etc). In order for the customer to make simple changes to their own system, they would have to pay for the repairman to visit.

Original review: July 22, 2017

Woke up to my system not working. Power is on to the house and we've only had the system 4 months. Called so called customer service and was asked repeatedly if system had power and when the agent was so rude. I asked to speak to someone else and she refused. The only way they will fix the system is if I pay someone to come out even though it is really new and this is no fault of ours. Would rather just pay to cancel and cut my losses with this awful customer service. Get a different alarm company while you still can!!

Original review: June 29, 2017

Protection 1 installed a security system on our house recently, and it was not a good experience. The technician let it go off for ten minutes while setting it up, and I think it has permanently damaged my hearing. It talks to me, which I hate. Plus someone can hack this system and disarm the system if they are a hacker. Feel safe yet? Not me. I do not mind my GPS talking to me because it needs to, but this is too much. Houses do not have voices. Your friends miles away will hear it too, even with ear protection on. My ears are still ringing from the install. Hate it. Don't know about the app yet, but saw reviews that said it didn't work right either. GET A DOG AND BE DONE WITH IT.

Original review: June 22, 2017

They bought out my great previous security company and my life has been a pure nightmare ever since! I had prepaid for a year at my last house. Moved after a couple months into that years payment. Had been told I could transfer all the money to new house. My time dealing with just this 1 department added up to about a MONTH. I was in the middle of moving and remodeling. Then they LOST my entire account info and money when they stopped monitoring last house!!! I had to drop everything. Dig thru All my belongings in boxes to find paperwork to prove everything. That nightmare lasted months. Finally got my money transferred. I was promised if I signed new contract as I'd been with last company so long the contract ran out. If I signed I would have the same hardware at new house so same amount of coverage. Promised! Guess what? Didn't honor that! The salesman felt so bad he was offering to pay out of his own pocket!

After months of fighting with that a different manager agreed. But also the hardware would break the next day! NOW I've been dealing with billing for over a year!!! My bill is paid up. My next bill not due till July and has been setup on auto pay to pay when it's due. Due July 17 with auto pay to withdraw July 11. I get 2 harassing calls per day that it's past due. I send them to the lady who set things up and knows everything is fine. Yet they don't stop Calling! I have put months of my time into trying to straighten things out during a bad time during my life and I literally start shaking every time I get another call because there have been so many for OVER A YEAR!!!

Original review: June 20, 2017

Very unorganized and the right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing. Stayed home all day, waiting for a technician to call for installation only to find out that the technician left the delivery department without my service order. Spoke to one of their customer service reps who rescheduled me for the next business day, only to get a call from the installation department saying they can't do the install until next week. WOW.

Protection 1 response

We are sorry to hear of Mr. Williams concerns. We have reached out to him to discuss his concerns. We are sorry for any frustration he experienced as a result of his recent interaction with us. If he may need anything further he is welcome to contact us.

Original review: May 30, 2017

Was told I could purchase equipment from a 3rd party. After equipment was purchased and I scheduled install story changed. I purchased a home with a pre installed Protection One system, sold own my system plus have a service agreement. On Friday May 26, 2017 I found 2GIG door/window sensors and glass break sensors from another company cheaper than what Protection One sells them for. I called customer service before I purchased them to inquire if I could install them or have them installed if I purchased from a third party. I was put on hold so she could check. When she came back she told me that because I had a service agreement that I could indeed purchase these devices from a third party and a technician would come out and install them at no charge, I just needed to call back after purchase to schedule a service visit.

So I purchased the equipment for $186, I called back and spoke to another rep and told her what I was doing. She put in the request and advised the local dispatch would call the first of the week. I was called by local dispatch (Raleigh) today May, 30 2017. And told because I did not purchase the equipment from Protection One they could not install it. Mind you I called before spending $186 and was told it could be done. So I called the main CS number back and was told the same thing local office told me. They are now insisting that I have to purchase the equipment from them at their more expensive prices before they will install them. If this would have been told to me in the first place I would not have purchased the extra equipment.

Original review: April 7, 2017

Protection 1 inherent the alarm system. We had had problems with false alarms and Protection 1 has come out. Most of the time they fix it. Not always. Hard to talk with local branch or getting someone out on weekends.

Original review: April 3, 2017

We originally contracted with Protection 1 in 2003. We paid 3500 for the initial installation. We were under a 3 year contract with Protection one. In addition to the original installation cost the contract cost us an additional $3500 over the life of the contract. We experienced four alarms in our home security system. We were notified of the alarms by Protection One operators. Since we were not home we requested Protection one to contact the police for immediate response. The police responded to each alarm. Each alarm was a false alarm. The false alarms caused the local police department to respond. Each response cost me $65.00 we were billed by the local police department. After the third alarm I contacted Protection One because the alarms did not make sense. No intrusion, but the alarms went off.

They sent out one of their installers. He shook doors, looked at the PIR's and then added an additional magnet to one of the doors. He stated that the Honeywell brand of PIRs were of poor quality and prone to false alarms. He could not explain the false alarms. Well we experienced another false alarm, police response and a $65.00 service response fee from the local police. Protection One did not admit any mistakes. We decided at the end of the three years to change alarm monitoring service providers. This changed our monthly fee from $35.00 to $5.00. We experience an additional false alarm. We contacted our alarm monitoring service provider who put us in contact with a local alarm installation company who sent out a expert installer. He looked over the entire system and came to the conclusion that Protection one has mis-aligned the magnetic switches on the doors causing the false alarms.

Great!!! We changed the magnetic sensor alignment. In addition we changed the Honeywell PIRs to Bosch PIRs. We have not experienced another false alarm. I do not trust Protection One. They are in business to make money NOT to provide honest service. Protection One screwed us over... I am glad I escaped this Protection One's nightmare. It cost me approximately $1000.00 for the services and electronic equipment changes. It, the alarm system cost thousands of dollars over what it should have cost. My current alarm service provider does an excellent job, Better than Protection One, and at a great price. I duplicated this service by contracting with an alarm installer company paying just for the system' s equipment and labor to install. Saved thousands. Not ripped off by greedy unethical alarm service providers.

Original review: March 22, 2017

We have been with Protection 1 for four years. Never missed a payment and actually really enjoyed their service etc. No issues until my family bought a new primary residence. Apparently a 5 year contract still needs to be paid in full regardless if you stay in the house or not. That was not expressed to me during signing up. I would have never agreed to this as we knew we would be moving in less than 5 years. Beyond disappointed and I will be fighting to the end to not pay almost $800.00 for service I am not using. Unacceptable Protection 1 and losing a loyal customer for any future references and/or purchases.

Original review: March 15, 2017

I went to the Protection 1 website as I am searching for a new security system for my home. I know they service my area because they service my neighbors' security systems. However, I heard complaints about their billing/contracts practices, so I asked the Protection 1 customer service agent, Jessica, "Do you offer packages that are no-contract, or do you offer 1-year contracts? I read that you sign up customers with 5-year contracts, but I am not interested in a 5-year contract." Instead of simply answering my question, Jessica asks me for my name and address so she can see if my area is serviced by Protection 1. Essentially, her ignoring my question answered my question; it did not give me a good impression of them, so I will continue shopping for a security system elsewhere.

Protection 1 response

We are sorry to hear of your concerns. Our Customer Relations Administrator will be in contact with you to discuss this matter further.

Thank you!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

Our business used Protection 1 with satisfaction for over 6 years. We just got tired of paying the high monthly business monitoring fees. This is when the trouble began. Cancelling our service after 6 years has not been easy. They continue to try and collect additional fees. They say the contract was not fulfilled, but they have no "signed" contract from us. I called them to cancel, asked what the final balance should be, we agreed, we paid, and now 3 months later they continue to try and collect additional fees from their corporate office. Go with www.simplisafe.com and forget Protection 1.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2016

I’m from L.A. and everybody in Hollywood that has recording studios have Protection 1. I've used them for my basement studio since 2001. I have sensors and motion detectors, and everything works. It’s a great service. The thing I really like is that they answer their phones 24/7 and they are always there. And you don’t get a foreign country. So, you get somebody you feel like you can communicate with.

When you call tech support, you get an English-speaking American on the phone. That is really important to me. That’s what I’m dealing with Comcast and Xfinity and AT&T. It just gets to be dragging after a while because you’ve got this huge language barrier and you know they’re just reading from a list of “Oh, when they say this, you say that.” If you’re paying top dollar, you want top dollar service. And to me, that’s not top dollar service. But Protection 1 is not like that. You always get an English-speaking American where you can get into the fine details. Because what they do is very important. I have my entire business being protected by them, so it’s serious.

Protection 1 install the system by having independent contractor come out if they weren't located in the place. This happened to me when I was in North Carolina, but it all worked out. Their customer service is great. When I was in Raleigh for two years, Protection 1 was not in there but they were in Charlotte. I had their 800 number, and the Charlotte number. Charlotte was in charge of me and they were great. It’s a good company. They're flawless.

Protection 1 Company Information