toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The first home security provider I had for years was Brinks, then Brinks was sold out to ADT. I had ADT for some years, but I was unhappy with their services. The alarm would go off, they never called back. Then I tried the other alarm company that AT&T owns now, but their stuff didn't work too good. So I went with Protection 1.

I definitely feel a lot safer now and have no worries. I work 24-hour shifts in my job, and I'd be gone all night long and my wife is out here. So having a security system gives me peace of mind. Moreover, they respond quickly. If the alarm goes off, I get notified over my phone and often they call right away. I've been out of work and they worked with me on that, too, as far as my billing. Everything worked good for me, so I'm very satisfied with the service. They're the best service I've ever had and the best customer service I got.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My parents have had Protection 1 since I can remember in all of our houses. When me and my husband purchased our first house a year ago I went with the company that my parents have been with forever. They did the initial installation. When we recently got new windows and doors in our home, I called them and the rep advised me if I do installation by myself, it would be free. She’ll just tell me how to do it as far as switching up from the old windows and doors to the new ones. She can send someone to do it, but I chose the less expensive option and it was simple.

Everything is going good with them. I called their team a few times, when the battery was out or when our old sensor was going off, just testing it. Having access to the system anytime anywhere is so convenient and easy. If we’re out and I forgot to set the alarm, it’s just a push of a button on my phone. I don’t have to go all the way back in the house. I’m very happy we got Protection 1. They've been professional and efficient.

Resolution In Progress

I purchased my first alarm system with Protection 1 in 2013. I had nothing to compare it to. I was told by the sales representative that I would have an alarm system worth about $1500. I decided to change alarm systems once I seen my daughter's alarm system. It was a better quality system, at least in my opinion. I requested to cancel my alarm services with Protection 1 in 04/2016. I made a phone call, informed the caller that I would like to cancel and was told I was in a 5-year contract. I explained that I had already switched & went with a different company. The lady explained that I would be charged $750 instead of the remaining amount left in my contract. I didn't like it but I continued to allow Protection 1 to draft my bank account each month until the $750 was paid.

I decided to write to the BBB about my situation in 11/2016. Someone from Protection 1 called me and explained that I had $934 left to pay in my contract. I told her I thought it was $750. She said in order to receive the cancellation fee of $750, I have to write a letter requesting to cancel. I told her I wasn't told that information when I called to cancel. She said I should've asked "what do I need to do in order to cancel my services?" I asked why didn't the lady explained that I needed to write a letter. She replied they're in business to keep their customers and the rep didn't have to explain the terms of the contract.

Although I was upset because I could've been finished repaying this debt, it made me realize that I didn't ask the right questions. I now have 2 options: I can continue to allow Protection 1 draft my account for the remaining $934 or I can repay the $750 in 2 installments. I'm very disappointed with Protection 1 and myself. But, I believe I've learned my lesson. ASK THE RIGHT QUESTIONS! And read your contract.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

USAA offered Protection 1 and ADT as security programs. I've had negative experiences with ADT so I decided to try Protection 1. The technician who installed the device was professional, did it very quickly and explained everything to me. It's great that their system has emails letting me know when the alarm is on and off. When we're away, our neighbor came in then the alarm went off, and we were able to handle that. It's been good that way. I had called them because my battery was low and I wasn't on hold very long. They told me what I needed to do and it was easy enough to fix. We're very satisfied and happy with them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

It was great installing the Protection 1 device and the team at Protection 1 has all been fine. I haven't had any problems or issues and they've been very responsive. It's been a little over a year since having the device and it's always nice to be able to go to bed and turn it on and know that I got someone keeping an eye on the house for me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protection 1?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Protection 1 was referred to us. We have looked at three different companies and they had the best rates. It took an afternoon to install the system and it didn't take very long. A couple of times, Protection 1 folks have come out to our site to check an alarm that randomly went off in the middle of the night. They did maintenance work on it and then it worked again.

Occasionally you can receive such poor customer service that you are angry enough to write a review and every so often been abused so badly that you file a consumer protection complaint. I have been a Protection 1 customer since 1989. They started out great guns and had excellent customer service. I was an excellent referral base and I currently know of 20 people that I refereed to Protection 1 that still have their systems. Life was good.

The system currently in my home has less features on the ones 10 years ago and the technicians are not much better. I had a faulty sensor and had a technician come and repair it. And another false alarm was my reward along with a $500 ticket. The tech came back out and I got another false alarm ticket. I complained and yet another tech came out and complained about the shoddy work of the first one. Well thank you. I had 2 citations based on his work I was well aware. What was Protection 1's customer solution? NOTHING.

I came home from being gone for an extended period and I learned my alarm had been disconnected. It appears that a payment for $200 was overlooked and they disconnected my alarm which rendered my house phones inoperable. A payment was made immediately. I was informed that a payment went to pay the service current through October 17th 2016 and the other $100 would be used for an early termination? Seems my deceased wife signed a contract in 2008 for 3 years and it renews each year.

Since Protection 1 does not charge the same amount now as they did in 2008 and my S/O is no longer living one could say that they have a problem. I informed them to keep the $100 I will ask the Wa state Atty Generals office to return it to me. I believe they should also enforce a clause based on all the complaints I have seen that this automatic renewal should either be banned or the signer should have an extra box to initial to make it crystal clear. This seems to be a deceptive practice.

I believe you will see this change within the next couple of years. How do you let someone into your home to protect you when they are trying to cheat you. GOODBYE PROTECTION 1. I think your greed is a little sickening and I won't be needing to turn back on my alarm. WE ARE PROTECTION 1 WHERE THE CUSTOMER IS NEVER RIGHT. WE DON'T CARE. WE DON'T HAVE TO. :(

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've been with Protection 1 for almost a year and it's a great service.The installation process ran smoothly. It was pleasurable. My family members use their mobile controls to arm and disarm the system, and it's convenient. Protection 1 team has always been knowledgeable, polite, acceptable, and just very courteous overall.

We want to especially say thank you to Protection 1 for working with military veterans. They're the only ones on the market that’s willing to work with veterans to this extent. One of the reasons why we chose them was because we didn’t think it would benefit us to be attached to a service for three to five years. So we wanted a little bit of flexibility with our billings and with our service. Being locked into an alarm system provider for three to five years was just not what we were looking for. So we were just thankful through USAA that Protection 1 was able to really meet our needs. And for that, above all, I would say we appreciate that very much.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We have used Protection 1 as our home security provider for five years. The sensor and other devices were easy to install. Their rep gave us detailed instructions on how to use the system. It's very convenient that I can control my system anytime and anywhere. I like that feature. And now I feel safer and have fewer worries. It's been a great experience and everybody that I've ever had to speak with has been professional.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My cousin uses Protection 1 and we've also been using them for about a year and a half. We bought the system and installed it ourselves. We use the phone to set and turn it off. I've had several interactions with their team and it was prompt all the time. My son set the alarm off once when he was home and they came to the loudspeaker and spoke to him. He gave the password and they took care of it right away and let us know. I'm perfectly happy with them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

When I got Protection 1 for my house, the installation was good. I like that if somebody comes in, it takes pictures and it uploads to my phone. However, the sales rep did not worry about what I needed but instead just tried to sell me something over the phone. I told him I would rather pay extra to make sure I got the right setup for my house. We had a round and round issue. I ended up making them give me extra stuff and try to make it right, so we ended up resolving it.

We also have Protection 1 for our business and I had a guy of theirs check some motion sensors up front. He told me one of them doesn’t work and he'll be back in two weeks, but I never got a phone call. They didn't stick by what they said and I'm very disappointed. Nobody followed through. Nobody has made any efforts to go at our business, check my panels, and make it right. If somebody brings up Protection 1 with me, I'm gonna tell him upfront, no. I'm dissatisfied.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The Protection 1 device was easy to install. Their team was able to send something new overnight when I came up against something. I like using the controls on my phone. The only issue is when I was gone for about five weeks and had asked my son to come over and check on it. His name is on the list of people they have. And the alarm went off and a bunch of people showed up. I called Protection 1 twice but I had bad phone connection so I had to go somewhere out of my way to find a connection to even call them. I was not able to get ahold of my kids and the renter immediately. I was in St. Louis and my home is in Montana.

Then I was able to get ahold of my son on Facebook and he just said that everything’s fine but I was still quite uneasy there. Protection 1 didn't know who had been in the house. What would've made it better was if the person I spoke to would've said that the person found in my home was Adrian, I would've known it was fine. But all they could tell me was that it had been remotely disarmed and remotely armed.

I didn’t realize what happened until I got back home. I called and asked my renter and found out from her what happened. My son came in the house and the alarm had gone off. Then the police showed up. And somehow they all got ahold of my renter. She disarmed it from her phone, assured the police that Adrian was my son, and then rearmed it when he left. It was okay but I would've liked more clarity from the company. Apart from that, I still would recommend Protection 1.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I use Protection 1's mobile controls and I like that I can see who comes and goes to the house. I have a nanny who comes in once a day to take care of the dogs so I know when she comes in and when she leaves. Their customer service is wonderful. However, one of their sales people has an attitude. He was trying to sell me a camera and I could have done it but he was real pushy. Other than that, I'm very satisfied.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Through the apps is the only way I deal with the Protection 1 system and I never used the panel. After the initial setup, I had the water detector installed and the installer then was very friendly. However, it's difficult getting the Alarm.com app set up as there weren't clear instructions, but definitely they have the opportunity to make the app process more clear.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The installation of my Protection 1 device went excellently. All my interactions with their reps were very professional and cordial as well. However, my girlfriend can close her garage through her cellphone device and I don't know how to do that, but I do have a fob key which I set my alarm with all the time.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had experiences in the past when someone broke into my house and stole a few things from me. I also travel and spend two months outside that's why I decided to get a security system. I used to have another provider. One of their sensors was not working and I called several times. They never came to fix it. So, I was paying for the services but I wasn't having that in an effective manner that's why I switched to Protection 1. I installed the device myself and everything was clear and their directions were pretty self-explanatory. I wasn't afraid of personal safety since having them. I feel like everything's okay this time. Even when my relatives got into the house my nephew forgot his code and right away, the system responded. They were able to assist him and reprogram everything.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I like that Protection 1 is more up-to-date compared to my old system that was 22 years old. I can control my thermostat and arm and disarm my house with the phone. The price was good too. It's been a good experience although I'm not happy with my fob. I called Protection 1 about it and they told me to put a new battery in. It works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Other than that, I would recommend Protection 1.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Protection 1 is offered with the HOA on the new home that we bought and we've been using them for a year and a half almost. We had no problems with the installation. We use the mobile controls all the time and it's nice to have that. I've had two false alarms. One was when I accidentally opened the window. Then another one when we're away and we weren't aware because we had cats. Those two times, they’ve called right away. It's been easy to use, reliable, and problem-free.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was in Kansas City area and I did not have a good experience with Protection 1. When the guy came to install the system, he asked me if I have a step-ladder and certain tools. He didn’t have any so he said he was going to Lowe’s. Lowe’s was right up the street from my house. He left and was gone for hours. Then he came to me and told me my back sensor from another provider was not working and in order for it to work, he had to replace it. I said okay. So he replaced it and stayed an additional time to do the work. When he was ready to leave, he said it was going to be $200. He didn't tell me it was going to be an additional cost. I was frustrated with him and so I asked to talk to someone from Protection 1, and they said they would waive the charge. The problem was escalated to the local management. Someone called me and she apologized, and they fixed all the issues.

When I moved, I found out that I was in contract, which I wasn’t too happy about. I still had to get Protection 1. If I had a choice, I wouldn’t have went with them. It's still giving me some issues. After installation, the next day the fire alarm kept sounding every time I opened the oven. It did it for an hour and a half. I called and I was told I needed to add the protection plan in case something wasn’t installed correctly so someone could come back and service it. The system wasn't installed correctly to begin with. I added the protection plan, but I’m just underwhelmed with Protection 1. There’s a monthly monitoring that they are doing to the system to check that it’s communicating. I continue to have ongoing problems with it that if it would do it, I wouldn’t even call. I just didn’t like calling them. I’m over it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My son has Protection 1 at their home so I got one too and I've been using it for approximately two years now. Installation was so simple and the installers were very nice. I also had a good time interacting with their reps. They were very polite. I make the mistake sometimes of coming in from the garage and I have to walk through a breezeway into the house. Sometimes when I think I'm turning it off, I'm really just turning it on again and I walk through the doors not realizing that it's still on. By the time I get the house door open, it's beeping and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong until I looked at the printout on email that said that it was engaged at a certain time and engaged again. Of course, I wouldn't engage it twice within two minutes.

So now I am more aware when I'm turning it off. It usually happens when my arms are full of purchases that I'm bringing in the house. I'm standing at the door and inside the garage, and my finger is pushing the buttons. It's my mistake for not realizing what I'm doing but they've been very nice. So far, I'm at the age now where I live alone and I needed to have that extra protection and Protection 1 has worked out very well. It's a great product with good technology, easy to use and good customer service.

A Protection 1 salesman came to our door with. "Great" deal on a security system. It all looked good but one question I asked him was if we didn't like it could we cancel it. The salesman said yes several times. After a half a year my family moved houses and decided we didn't need it anymore. We called to cancel the service and was told we could not cancel and had to pay for another 3 years of service. We explained that the salesman specifically told us we could cancel at any time. We were told he did not give us correct information. In other words, he lied.

We have been trying to resolve this with Protection 1 for over a year. We have not used the system since we moved but they still want us to pay. Now they have put a debt collector on us. The people we dealt with lied to us and gave us horrible customer service. They took no responsibility for their staff member lying to us, and don't even care that we moved and haven't even used the system in over a year. They still want us to pay. They are criminal and I would never recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I definitely like the web and mobile controls of Protection 1. I enjoy it and I adjust the temperature of my house if I'm away. It's very convenient. However, I had some trouble initially because the chip they sent me was an AT&T chip and I get poor service in that area, so they sent me out a Verizon chip. They overnighted it and they walked me through how to install it and I haven't had a problem since.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had an attempted burglary and the thieves tried kicking in my door. Protection 1 was then referred to me by a friend and my experience has been pretty good so far. I really like the app and that makes it real convenient. I got the package where you basically install it yourself and it's self-explanatory. I absolutely feel safer, it's good and I'm satisfied.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We've had Protection 1 for about 2 years now. The actual installation was okay, but we are not happy with their charges to get it transferred from a rental to our new home. I've talked with multiple people about these extra charges on my bill, but they didn't seem to have an idea that I've talked to another person before that.

I was told Protection would take over and use all existing equipment of Vivint I had when they started monitoring my system. I had all Vivint cameras. One wasn't working they said and gave me the model no. They said when I got one they would install it. They never said they had cameras to buy. I asked if they had cameras and was told "no you have to get one from where you got this one from." The manufacturer was alarm.com. I was given their no. and now I have a working camera and they refuse to install it.

That is lying to get my business, using all of Vivint other equipment, telling me the model not to get wasting my money and never telling me I could get a camera from them nor had to. That is lying and bad customer service. They never should have used Vivint's equipment at all if they can't use Vivint's equipment. All my equipment is Vivint's. They took over and they never offered to sell me one of their cameras. They told me to get the model no. of the one I had which quit working and when I did I was refused by Caitlin to make an appointment to put it in.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have been using Protection 1 for about a year and a half, and I love their web and mobile controls. The installation experience was wonderful and my interactions with their team have all been great.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm a USAA member and they had Protection 1 and another security provider. We had both and Protection 1’s better. I had no problem with the installation and the people who came were wonderful. We have another house down in Pompano Beach, Florida and the installation there was not as neat and satisfactory as it was in La Grange. But our interactions with their team so far are good and we have a very, very good relationship. We also have the mobile on the phone that we can do everything we want to.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've had Protection 1 for about two years now. When I installed it, all I had to do was call their team and that was good. I've used the mobile controls but I always have to go through Safari as I haven't found the correct app to download. That's a little funky but besides that, it's worked fine. Then there was miscommunication between a lot of people as I couldn't get my stuff set up on the date I moved which was on a weekend. I went a few days without my stuff being secure or me feeling my stuff was secure. I also wanted to order devices for my windows but it costs so much extra.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We got a discount for Protection 1 through USAA. The installation was really easy and I didn’t have any problems. We use our phone app to set the alarm when we leave. We're happy to know we have it when I'm home alone with the kids.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I work in marketing and used to work for Alarm.com, and Protection 1 is their third-party provider. I chose it for the mobile and web access and control. I have been using Protection 1 for almost two years. Installation was very easy and seamless. It is a great product with a good technology. It's easy to use and they have good customer service. I definitely feel safer and protected. We can check in on things at home when we're not there.

Protection 1 Company Profile