1.36/5

Need a home alarm?

Protection 1

Since 1988, Protection 1 continues to grow and become a leader in the full service security industry. We strive to provide services to residential, commercial and national customers. We will customize your security system to fit your specific home or business needs.

Our 24/7 professional monitoring centers will be there to ensure your safety. Protection 1 guarantees when you call for help, you will speak with a real person. Keep your family and business safe - call today!

View More View More

Need a home alarm?

926 Protection 1 Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Went for a self install system. BIG mistake! Went for a 3 year contract. $750.00 mistake! System was defective. No local technicians. Said the system could be moved. Not without technicians! Run from this company.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Called very recently to get lower rate. A lot of the phone call was dead air. They insisted I agreed to an extended contract of several years & that this was recorded. When it was stated that a recording could not be edited, I had to laugh. This is 2019. Of course it can. Just paid a ridiculous amount to cancel, but I'm done.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I fulfilled my 5 year contract with Protection One / ADT in June of 2019. I went from a contract to a month-to-month payment option while I shopped around for a more affordable security system. On 8/21/19 I contacted Protection One - ADT to cancel the service so that I would not be charged for a month where there was NO SERVICE. I would have cancelled sooner but I was locked into a 5 year contract with a $750 cancellation fee if cancelled before the contract was up.

When I called to cancel I was put on hold several times. When I finally talked to a customer service agent she said it would take 30 days to cancel….thus allowing them to charge me for one more month of high fees even though the service is no longer connected. She argued with me saying it is part of my contract. I asked her to send me a copy of my contract, which she did a few days later. Nowhere in this contract do I see this 30-day cancellation policy for month-to-month service. She also said I had to send in a written request to cancel stating my name, address of service, and what company I was changing to. I was shocked….why do they need to know who I am changing to. When I got the form by email it actually requested my name, address of service, and why I am discontinuing. I filled it out and emailed it back as instructed.

I disconnected this overpriced service on 8/22/19 and installed a more reasonable service with no contracts. Now, every day I get email or calls telling me my Protection One system is not responding even after I talked to their agents to tell them I cancelled the service. Evidently the company does not pass that information down to the operators, thus I am being spammed with notices. Getting away from this service is not only a nightmare, it is costly as they are charging for a service I no longer have. I don’t know how they get away with this platen overcharging. Beware…don’t sign a contract with this company. Read the fine print. Get a system that is affordable with no contract or unreasonably hefty fees.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

After switching from ADT to Protection One, I have tried since JANUARY 2019 to get billing issues resolved. They have failed to resolve anything. 12/2018 I moved to a rental residence and switched from ADT to Protection One (PO). PO stated signing up for services with them would void out previous contract with ADT. In March 2019 I received a late payment notice from PO. After calling, they determined the monthly payment that was being drafted from my bank account was going to ADT instead of PO due to a "glitch in the computer system". I was told ADT would refund the monies paid to them (would take 4-6 weeks) and, when I received it, I would send it to PO to maintain payments. This was never done. In, I believe, June 2019 I began getting collection phone calls. I, again, explained everything and was directed to Account Management.

AGAIN, I was told the request did not go through due to a "glitch in the computer system". AGAIN, I was ensured they would take care of it. I was told ADT would reimburse monies paid to them; furthermore, I was told for my continued inconvenience that PO would waive the months that service was being paid to ADT instead of PO due to a fault of their own. I also have e-mails regarding communication with a Marlena ** in Account Management. Marlena initiated e-mail communication with me and when I followed up, after my initial response, I never received reply communication. I have spoke with many representatives all year and I feel I am being told a solution but no one at this company follows through with it. This has proven to be an absolutely unprofessional, untrustworthy company. I suggest you all take your business elsewhere because they have had me on a roller coaster of frustration all year.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I was customer of Protection 1 for 14 years and my last contract ended in 2017. When I called to cancel my service before new billing cycle, customer service agent tried to entice me my reduced charges as well as price lock option for 5 years. They reduced my monthly bill to 22.95$ but never sent me any confirmation. When I called them again that I am not interested in any of their offers they told me to give 30 days written notice to cancel. I was told earlier that I am not in any contract but need to mail my cancellation request to their KY address.

When I told them I called to cancel my service, account manager became rude. I feel like this is a trap to keep your customers with them and part of shady practices. They slapped me bill for another 30 days even if I didn't want to continue security monitoring. If you treat your long time customers (14 years of paid monitoring) do you think customers will recommend your service to anyone? I am very disappointed with your account managers handling my cancellation request.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protection 1?

Original review: July 29, 2019

I have been in a contract with Protection 1 for 3 years and went to renew my contract and was given a rate $10.00 less and now a 2 year contract. I had told the customer service representative my issues with my recordings limiting me to 1000 recordings a month. I am a salon that is open 7 days a week and I need continuous security. I called them back and said this is the same system and they said, "Let us see what we can do"... I call back to get this GREAT DEAL. LOL. NOT SO MUCH.. So instead of a 2 year contract they want me to sign a 5 year and pay $800.00 for install. I said I was not going to do that so they told me, "Well you signed a new 2 year so you have an agreement." So to get out of my contract he let me know I had to pay the full 2 years now which is absolutely insane OR take their new offer. Do not sign a contract with this company. Go elsewhere!!!!

Hello,

Thank you so much for taking my call today, I appreciate you sharing your experience with me. I will keep a look out for your email and please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Rhonda

Original review: July 23, 2019

My husband and I bought our first house and got Protection 1 home security services in Sept. 2015. Initially, we were happy with the service and I knew we were in a 3-year contract. In Oct. 2017, I received a promotional email regarding a reduced monthly rate for Protection 1. After calling customer service, we got our rate lowered but I was never told that by changing the price it would start a new 3-year contract. Fast-forward to 7/22/19, we decided to go with SimpliSafe because over the course of 3 years it was much cheaper to purchase the equipment and pay $15/mo, rather than $41/mo with Protection 1. I thought we were out of the initial 3-year contract and paying month to month, so we went ahead and purchased the SimpliSafe monitoring equipment and set up monitoring service.

When I called Protection 1 to cancel services, the representative told me it would be over $500 to cancel!!! I was floored. The rep told me our plan got renewed in Aug. 2017, therefore we have to pay for services through Aug. 2020! I told the rep not to do anything at this point, I will call back. I scoured my e-mail inbox to find the contract they sent and the wording is deceptive and vague. Now, not only will I be required to pay over $500 to cancel, if I change the contract to get a lower price then they are going to "renew" my contract and I'm stuck.

On top of all of this, the equipment we have from Protection 1 keeps failing. Our backdoor sensor can't seem to hold battery life, and we have had a new sensor sent to use twice, and the glass break sensor in our living room started malfunctioning making the alarm trigger. Tried new batteries, still malfunctioning. When we called to get new sensors sent, they wanted to charge us. No, thanks - so the glass break sensor has been taken off the wall and batteries removed because I'm not paying for more replacement equipment that is just going to break in a month. This has not been a good experience and I don't recommend this company at all. All I want to do is cancel.

Hello,

I am sorry to learn of your difficulties with the verbal contract. I have left you a voicemail with my direct number to work towards a resolution. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Rhonda

Original review: July 17, 2019

I have been a customer of TNT that was taken over by Protection 1 for the last 8 years. I just updated my phone provider and now have discovered that my alarm system will not work with the digital phone service. I have been trying to find out what needs to be done to get my system working again. Protection 1 wants me to sign a new 3 year contract before they come out to see what needs done. During the fix of my phone system it was discovered that the monitoring of my motion detector, glass breakage, window sensors and front door are not even connected to the alarm system! I have been paying for services that I was not getting provided. Protection 1 is telling me it is my fault. I have finally gotten an email response that a cell communicator will need installed but I can not find out if any of my alarm equipment will be hooked up to work if they come out to add that part. I have asked by email 3 different time and still no answer!!

The other big kicker on all this is they have not been getting a response from my system since February and they were calling the phone line that has not been working all that time. They had my cell number on file but no one ever bothered to call me about that! I also had auto pay set on my account and when I changed account numbers they did not pull my payments, that is not my fault!! Well they have now taken partial payment and lo and behold I get a call every evening from Protection 1 wanting the balance of the account. I am still waiting for $59.80 as a credit to show up on my account which will bring the account to current status! Protection 1 sure wants your service so they can get your money but they sure don't provide service in return! I'M STILL WAITING FOR ANSWERS IN OKLAHOMA!

Hello,

I am sorry to learn of your dilemma with the phone communication. I would love the opportunity to speak with you. I have left you a voicemail message with my contact information. I hope to hear from you soon.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I have been a customer with Protection 1 for over 3 years now. About 2 months ago I have been having issues with my account. I already set up my account for automatic deductions to be taken out every month. However, I have been getting late notices that shouldn't be on my account. I received statements on 6/3/19 and 5/22/19 for past due accounts. I have checked my accounts and 45.48 has been taken out for the months of May and June. I know Protection 1 possibly has switched to a third party vendor to manage accounts. However, late notices shouldn't be applied to account when autodraft is already set up. This doesn't make any sense. You're simply charging customers late fees and then send a bill out after the due date. If the account has been set to autodraft, and then the customer shouldn't be charged late fees. Thank you, A paying customer Brian **

Hi,

I am sorry to hear of your experience. I was unable to contact you with the phone number provided. I have sent you an email with my direct phone number. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Well protection one has been a terrible mistake. I've wasted money on for the last eight years of my life. First 5 years were okay but then we moved.... Let's start with installation, the tech told me he could not place the equipment box in my basement because he didn't have access. So he puts in into my dining room closet and then puts keypad on the other side. I hear noises like drilling into metal but I assume he knows what he's doing and it was our new house so I wasn't familiar with duct work.

At the end of his appointment he tells me they could always come back and move the equipment.... Hello? Why not put it in basement from the start. I go to remodel the house and realize he drilled into my duct work. I wrote a email to company but no response. numerous times the alarm has gone off and I never received a phone call. Anyway 3 years into my contract after I moved I call in February to cancel customer service tells me that I will pay for the following months anyway and that I might as well use the service and to call back in May to cancel. I do so and customer service tells me to send the email, which I did right away and once I do that they will send my final bill for $36.

Weeks pass I get an email that I owe $463 for the whole year up until 2020. I call customer service. The woman says that she'll transfer me to account management. She sees I cancelled and can't understand why I'm getting this bill. Account Manager blatantly lies to me on the phone telling me they have a signed FOUR YEAR contract. I couldn't find my contract but I did later and guess what it's a 3 YEAR contract. I explained to her over and over about how when I called in February to cancel. The woman said I could do so for around $100. Now it's $463 and that when I did cancel I was told $36. Why would I cancel just if I had such a big balance? That's just stupid.. I would of just waited. They are a bunch of crooks and liars. I've never experience such bad customer service. Lying about a four year contract. They had me for eight years and now are trying to squeeze another year out of me?

Good Afternoon,

I am sorry to hear of your disappointing experience. I have left you a message with my direct number to work towards a resolution. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Protection 1 expert review by Ben Mannes

The company offers wired and wireless systems with or without home automation, as well as flexible pricing. Choose from 6 packages for $34.99-$54.99. Systems have 3-5 year contracts, with warranty options of 3-years or 90 days. Self-installed and professional installation are available.

• Flexible plans: Protection 1 offers flexible plans that you can customize to your home, your security preferences and monitoring options (e.g. landline or cellular).

• Home automation: Log into Protection 1's mobile apps for remote access to automate home lighting, see live security video, arm or disarm your system, control your thermostat, unlock your doors and more.

• Versatile equipment: Consumers can add remote door locks, night vision cameras, wireless doorbells, garage door sensors and more to create a home security system that perfectly meets your needs.

• Deductible protection: Protection 1 customers have extra protection in the event of a burglary. The company will cover up to $1,000 towards the homeowner’s insurance deductible. Interested consumers should see the website for specific details and restrictions.

• Referral bonus: When existing customers recommend Protect 1 to a friend who signs up for monitoring, the original customer will earn a $50 referral bonus. The bonus will be paid as an account credit.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
      Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Protection 1 Company Information