Protection 1

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The first home security provider I had for years was Brinks, then Brinks was sold out to ADT. I had ADT for some years, but I was unhappy with their services. The alarm would go off, they never called back. Then I tried the other alarm company that AT&T owns now, but their stuff didn't work too good. So I went with Protection 1.

I definitely feel a lot safer now and have no worries. I work 24-hour shifts in my job, and I'd be gone all night long and my wife is out here. So having a security system gives me peace of mind. Moreover, they respond quickly. If the alarm goes off, I get notified over my phone and often they call right away. I've been out of work and they worked with me on that, too, as far as my billing. Everything worked good for me, so I'm very satisfied with the service. They're the best service I've ever had and the best customer service I got.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My parents have had Protection 1 since I can remember in all of our houses. When me and my husband purchased our first house a year ago I went with the company that my parents have been with forever. They did the initial installation. When we recently got new windows and doors in our home, I called them and the rep advised me if I do installation by myself, it would be free. She’ll just tell me how to do it as far as switching up from the old windows and doors to the new ones. She can send someone to do it, but I chose the less expensive option and it was simple.

Everything is going good with them. I called their team a few times, when the battery was out or when our old sensor was going off, just testing it. Having access to the system anytime anywhere is so convenient and easy. If we’re out and I forgot to set the alarm, it’s just a push of a button on my phone. I don’t have to go all the way back in the house. I’m very happy we got Protection 1. They've been professional and efficient.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I’m from L.A. and everybody in Hollywood that has recording studios have Protection 1. I've used them for my basement studio since 2001. I have sensors and motion detectors, and everything works. It’s a great service. The thing I really like is that they answer their phones 24/7 and they are always there. And you don’t get a foreign country. So, you get somebody you feel like you can communicate with.

When you call tech support, you get an English-speaking American on the phone. That is really important to me. That’s what I’m dealing with Comcast and Xfinity and AT&T. It just gets to be dragging after a while because you’ve got this huge language barrier and you know they’re just reading from a list of “Oh, when they say this, you say that.” If you’re paying top dollar, you want top dollar service. And to me, that’s not top dollar service. But Protection 1 is not like that. You always get an English-speaking American where you can get into the fine details. Because what they do is very important. I have my entire business being protected by them, so it’s serious.

Protection 1 install the system by having independent contractor come out if they weren't located in the place. This happened to me when I was in North Carolina, but it all worked out. Their customer service is great. When I was in Raleigh for two years, Protection 1 was not in there but they were in Charlotte. I had their 800 number, and the Charlotte number. Charlotte was in charge of me and they were great. It’s a good company. They're flawless.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've been using Protection 1 as my security provider for a year and a half. I'm a USAA member and I knew that they had some special deals. The installation was great. The technician was very thorough and customer-oriented. He had some opinions as far as what we should and shouldn't get and gave us some good information to decide whether there were a couple of things we thought we may want or need. After speaking with him, we realize it wasn't necessary.

Customer service has been great. The only problem we had was I had to bring a service tech out at one point in time to do some service on a couple of the components. When I spoke to customer service, I told them what was going on. I'm an HVAC guy, so I understand that I might find something different or a component that's wrong or failing. We were having problems with one of the cameras. Customer service said, "Yes, it sounds like we'll probably have to replace it." The guy didn't even come with a new one and he refused to replace it. All he did was replace batteries after us telling him that we were putting the proper batteries in. So the service experience after installation was less than adequate.

The Frontpoint team has generally been very good and very professional. It was just one experience with one of their service techs that I wasn't appreciative of. Every time I've gotten a call from their customer service or I call them, they know upfront. It's part of the information in my account that I'm a USAA member and I always get thanks for serving.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Protection 1 covered everything that I needed to make sure the house is secure. Their team installed the system in a timely fashion and was easy to work with. They did a great job and I'm very happy with them. I've also used the mobile control and I love it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protection 1?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

USAA Homeowners Insurance recommended two providers and I looked at both of them and they were pretty much the same. It came down to what was priced the best and I went with Protection 1. We've been using them for almost a year and a half and they cover protection of the house, the assets, and the people inside of it.

The installation experience was positive and the tech went in and looked at the different areas that needed it, installed it, and provided good information in terms of how to use it. I use the mobile control especially when I’m out of town because I've got my daughter and granddaughter and I sometimes check to see when they're home. I've also turned the system on and off through the mobile and it’s great to be able to do that but it can also be hacked easier. We're retired so the main reason we got it is because we've been taking more vacations than we ever had. Still, it provides some sense of security when we're away from home and my daughter and granddaughters can't get over there all the time. I've had a limited interaction with the Protection 1 team but I found them to be helpful and customer-oriented. It’s been a very good experience and I feel more secure.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I installed the equipment because I was concerned about my security. During the first installation of the Protection 1 system, I did it myself. Instead of using two cameras, I used one camera as I did not know where to install the other things. I was not familiar with the functions of the equipment and how I should be dealing with it. I called the customer service number and asked them if they can send somebody to install the equipment but they said that they don't do it. Still, it was a very good experience. I was working a lot so I was able to use the web and mobile controls.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The other security providers that I was looking into were a two or three-year contract and I knew I wouldn't be able to fulfill that obligation. I didn't need to get tied into a long-term contract, and when I saw that Protection 1 only had a one year contract, I was good with that. I had questions before with the installation but when I sat down and read the instructions, it was easy. One time the battery on the motion protector was low and I got an email stating that, and I like that feature of being able to know what's going on almost instantly. I don't have to wait until I get back home to figure out something happened. When I leave my home, I don't have to worry about anything happening because if something happens, I will either get an email or a phone call. They have excellent service and I would definitely recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I want to be alerted should someone try to break in and Protection 1 covers that. I feel more secure with it. We've set off the alarms several times in error and they've been very helpful and understanding.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Installing the Protection 1 security device was very easy, and using their web and mobile controls is one of the highlights of having it. Their team walked me through the installation and spent as much time as I needed to installing it. Now when I leave the house at night, I'm not so worried about something that will happen because of the alarm system.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Protection 1 provided all of the protection at the best price and it was the best value of all the ones that I looked at. The installation went very well. The reps came, put it in and explained everything. They've also been very good at contacting us when we've not disarmed it properly. When we're in the house and sleeping at night or we're away, we know that we've got good protection with it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I found Protection 1 online when I was looking at security services. The alarm I got was for my house and I've used them for a year. My stuff and dog are also secure when I was gone. Installing the device was really easy and and I've felt good and safe since the installation. Their team were always really great and easy to work with. There was a time when my dog set off the alarm and they turned it off quickly for me. I like that if the alarm was ever set off there was someone on the other end quickly that I can actually talk to and get it shut off.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

It was through my wife's parents that I knew of Protection 1. We've had it for almost two years now and I like the system access and control. It's been a lot better since it was installed although both my wife and I swear that our camera would take pictures at random times. I know our settings weren't set for that. I called Protection 1 once about that and they said it was probably our settings. Apart from that freaky part, though, it's been a flawless experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I used to have another home security service provider for two years, but I liked Protection 1 a lot better. I feel much safer since having the Protection 1 system installed and I haven't had a major problem. One time, my grandson went through one of my windows and got caught. He had my alarm went off on Saturday. The weather was nice and I left my windows opened, but I turned my alarm on. He went through my screen and he said, "Grandmother, you've got to do something. Your house is just too easy to get into." I said, "But that's why I have an alarm system."

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've been using Protection 1 for a year and a half. They were the cheapest I could get at that time with the equipment and everything I needed, and I could move it from home to home with me, so I went with them. Installing our security device was very easy. I just plugged it in and I called, and we checked everything and we were done. Having the system definitely made me feel more secure. I like that it tells me about the weather, too.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had Protection 1 in the past and I re-upped with them when I moved back from Germany. Installing the device was all good and easy. I also use their mobile app quite often and it works good except for the door lock. The app would show it's unlocked when it's locked.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've been with Protection 1 for a year. My dad referred me to them, and I thought I was going to get a good deal so I went with them. I have the mobile app on my phone, and to me, it is awesome. Everything works, and so far, my experience with them has been good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Protection 1 gave a discount to USAA members. I did the installation myself when I moved into the house and it was easy. I just put the stuff up and turned it on. We contacted the customer service so that they could test the system to make sure it's working right. I use their web and mobile controls and it's convenient and easy to use. Protection 1 is a great company.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We installed the Protection 1 security system because my house got broken into, and it definitely made me feel safer. It was pretty easy setting up the security device. The guy just came in and did it. I've used the mobile feature and it's awesome. When I let my dog out while the alarm was set it went off. And they're very good about responding. We have put that house on the market but our realtor has set off the alarm a couple of times, and they still call me because how are they to know that it's actually a realtor who came in? They're very smart to always make sure that they call me.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My interactions with Protection 1 in general have been very poor. We've had several instances of people not knowing how to do their job. I call and have questions and no one can seem to find an answer for me. At one point, they sent a technician out because they couldn't figure out the answer over the phone, and then the technician couldn’t figure it out. I was off of work for three hours trying to deal with it. We've also had several instances of the sensors losing signal and our alarm going off and us not being at home, and they couldn't tell us anything.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I did the DIY kit to install the Protection 1 security device. Most of it was pretty good. I had problems with some and I got a few things that I still need to get figured out. Since I am working on the DIY kit I got to call them once all done for activation. However, the available help right now is only available during the day. Having a day job, sometimes makes it hard because I got to leave work an hour early, so I can talk to somebody on the phone to figure out some of the stuff. None of the techs that actually answer the phone work after 5:00. But, I use their app and it's awesome. My wife feels good about it and we have peace of mind because I have a couple of the cameras and I can pull that up on my phone and check on everything. I'd definitely recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've been with Protection 1 for over a year. I had an issue with one of the motion detectors and I talked to a few of their team members about it, and they were very helpful. Since installing the system, I feel confident that my house is secure. It is very convenient for me to be able to access and control the system at any time and anywhere. I am happy with them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've been using Protection 1 for a little over a year now. I wanted to have a security system that was up to date and Protection 1 didn’t have to come in to do any wiring, which I like because it's a new house. I like the system and that I get a discount through my membership with USAA for using them. Installing the security device was great. Their representative came out, got everything set up and then explained to me how to use it. It's been fine ever since. I haven't had any problems with it. The only time I had to call them was when I had an alert on the pad that said the motion sensor in the living room had a low battery. So, I had to change the battery on it once.

The service has been great. Since the system was set up, I feel secure. I love being able to control the system at any time from anywhere, and I like that it shows me when it's armed and disarmed on my cell phone. If I leave the house and forget to arm it, I use my mobile control to do it. A lot of times, I use it to unarm the system when I get home. And at night, I keep it right by my bed in case I'll need it. Moreover, if I'm away from home and one of my kids comes over, I get an alert on my phone if somebody has disarmed it and which person did it. And then, I can call and check to make sure that the person is actually who it is.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I feel more secure since setting up my Protection 1 system. I've been with them for a year. The installation of the system went smoothly. I didn’t have any issues except where to put some sensors. I have the Alarm.com on my phone, which I use for them. I had an issue with some of the automatic bill pay that didn’t get set up correctly, but other than that, their service has been good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I feel a lot safer with the Protection 1 system being in my house. I've been using it for about two years and it's been okay. Installation was difficult, though. I had to have somebody come in and do it for me. I would rather let them do it. But I've talked to customer service a few times and they're cool and helpful.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Protection 1 was able to help me provide protection to all my doors. Their customer service was helpful, courteous, and quick. At that time that I got it installed, it was the second instance my house got broken into and Protection 1 stepped up the appointment for the installer to come out. However, they need to provide people with information about how to register the security system with the city and why it's important to have that since I figured those out myself.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We've used Protection 1 as our home security provider for 15 months now. We got them when we moved into another place. Sometimes, when the battery on the device goes off, the system lets me know, so I call and inform the team members at Protection 1 and they tell me what to do. When I'm outside the house, I use the interactive features. I've got it hooked up to my cell phone, and using this feature, I can take motion pictures to see who's home when I'm not home, and I can see these pictures on my cell phone, and that's pretty good. Since setting up our security system, I feel much safer because I collect Jordan sneakers and I have over 300 pairs. When I leave the house, the system would take a picture of anybody who comes inside the house and the alarm would go off.

I purchased my first alarm system with Protection 1 in 2013. I had nothing to compare it to. I was told by the sales representative that I would have an alarm system worth about $1500. I decided to change alarm systems once I seen my daughter's alarm system. It was a better quality system, at least in my opinion. I requested to cancel my alarm services with Protection 1 in 04/2016. I made a phone call, informed the caller that I would like to cancel and was told I was in a 5-year contract. I explained that I had already switched & went with a different company. The lady explained that I would be charged $750 instead of the remaining amount left in my contract. I didn't like it but I continued to allow Protection 1 to draft my bank account each month until the $750 was paid.

I decided to write to the BBB about my situation in 11/2016. Someone from Protection 1 called me and explained that I had $934 left to pay in my contract. I told her I thought it was $750. She said in order to receive the cancellation fee of $750, I have to write a letter requesting to cancel. I told her I wasn't told that information when I called to cancel. She said I should've asked "what do I need to do in order to cancel my services?" I asked why didn't the lady explained that I needed to write a letter. She replied they're in business to keep their customers and the rep didn't have to explain the terms of the contract.

Although I was upset because I could've been finished repaying this debt, it made me realize that I didn't ask the right questions. I now have 2 options: I can continue to allow Protection 1 draft my account for the remaining $934 or I can repay the $750 in 2 installments. I'm very disappointed with Protection 1 and myself. But, I believe I've learned my lesson. ASK THE RIGHT QUESTIONS! And read your contract.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

USAA offered Protection 1 and ADT as security programs. I've had negative experiences with ADT so I decided to try Protection 1. The technician who installed the device was professional, did it very quickly and explained everything to me. It's great that their system has emails letting me know when the alarm is on and off. When we're away, our neighbor came in then the alarm went off, and we were able to handle that. It's been good that way. I had called them because my battery was low and I wasn't on hold very long. They told me what I needed to do and it was easy enough to fix. We're very satisfied and happy with them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

It was great installing the Protection 1 device and the team at Protection 1 has all been fine. I haven't had any problems or issues and they've been very responsive. It's been a little over a year since having the device and it's always nice to be able to go to bed and turn it on and know that I got someone keeping an eye on the house for me.

Protection 1 Company Profile