Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.52/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Protection 1 was founded in 1988 and provides security services to residential and commercial customers nationwide. The company offers customizable security systems to fit your specific home or business needs, and its systems connect to 24/7 professional monitoring centers. Protection 1 guarantees that when you call for help, you’ll speak with a live receptionist.

BOTTOM LINE

Protection 1 works with ADT to offer security services for homes and businesses. The warranty is short and the company charges a $99 installation fee, but systems are customizable and smart home compatible.

PROS

• Smart home technologies
    • Highly customizable

CONS

• No refund policy
    • Installation charges

Top Protection 1 Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protection 1?

We chose Protection 1 after doing some research on what they had to offer compared to other alarm companies and their level of customer service after the sale. We have been a customer for many years now and I find them to be very helpful after the sale. Great customer service!

...I would’ve never bought this service if I understood initially the motion sensor was not compatible with a dog. There is never a supervisor present with their company and the agents are free to treat customers as they please with no discipline...

Protection 1 Learn More

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

What is Protection 1?

Protection 1’s security packages include 24/7 monitoring and intrusion protection. Customers can monitor their home and control lights remotely by using the Protection 1 app. They can also control door locks, lighting, appliances and their thermostat with the company’s home automation features.

Protection 1 includes alarm monitoring in its monthly contract cost. Protection 1 has more than 90 monitoring locations and employs more than 4,000 certified professionals. Its alarm systems can also alert you to hazards like carbon monoxide and fire.

Protection 1 cost

Protection 1’s home security system packages start at $34.99 per month with a 36-month contract. Customers may choose to customize their security system with optional equipment.

• Secure ($34.99/month): Protection 1’s Secure package provides basic protection from intruders with 24/7 monitoring. It includes a control panel, a keychain remote, three door/window sensors, a motion sensor, a yard sign and window decals.
      • Secure+ ($44.99/month): Secure+ comes with everything in the Secure package but doesn’t require a landline connection. It also includes two-way video.
      • Smart Control ($49.99/month): Smart Control includes everything from the Secure+ package plus real-time alerts, an image motion sensor and geofencing technology. Smart Control also has home automation features and allows customers to control their lighting, thermostat, appliances and door locks from their phone.
      • Video ($54.99/month): This alarm option includes the Smart Control package plus video surveillance. View video footage from a phone or computer to remotely monitor your home and check the status of deliveries.

How to install Protection 1 security systems

Protection 1 uses local contractors to professionally install its systems. The company charges $99 for installation and adds a fee for fire, carbon monoxide and medical alert services. You work directly with Protection 1 to contact a professional who visits your home to assess its access points and install the security system.

Protection 1 FAQ

Is Protection 1 the same as ADT?
      ADT merged with Protection 1 in 2016. The two companies operate independently but provide similar services and products. The companies offer the same detectors and sensors, for example.
      Who owns Protection 1?
      ADT and Protection 1 are owned by private equity firm Apollo Global Management LLC. This allows them to share technology and support to offer superior service.
      Can I use Protection 1 without monitoring?
      No, you can’t use Protection 1 without a monitoring contract.
      How much does Protection 1 cost per month?
      Protection 1 costs start at $34.99 per month when you sign a 36-month contract.
      Does Protection 1 equipment come with a warranty?
      Yes, all Protection 1 equipment packages include an extended limited warranty. This warranty is in effect for the first 90 days after installing the system.

Is Protection 1 a good security system?

Protection 1’s equipment and services may be a good solution for some homeowners. The warranty period is relatively short and customers have to pay for installation, but Protection 1 works alongside ADT to offer state-of-the-art services across the nation.

Protection 1 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protection 1?

Original review: July 3, 2020

I have a "Do it Yourself" system with Protection 1. I had to sign a 3 year contract which I hated doing. My fault, my credit card number changed and I forgot to inform them as I had autopay. After an email saying I was late with payment, I called and updated my card and thought all was good. Two months later I got an email that I was behind on payments; how can that be, I have autopay? They only used my card for later payments, not the one that was past due; no explanation for why. That was problem 1.

I moved, my new home has an additional door so I called for an additional door sensor, costs $45 when I paid $90 for 3 door sensors, motion detector, 3 glass break sensors and base unit. I was told it would ship in 3-4 days; the money was out of my account the following day. I called 2 weeks later as I had not received the sensor. First person said the sensor "hasn't gone to the warehouse for programming yet". I asked why and how to resolve this and the transferring started; spoke to 5 additional people. I had to tell my story to each person, verify password, etc.. Last person I spoke to said he would look further and promised to call back within 30 minutes but never did. That was 48 minutes on the phone, mostly on hold.

I called today, was transferred only once and told the order had been canceled and there was a credit on my account. When I asked when the order was canceled, he stated yesterday, the day I called to find out where the sensor was. I did not cancel the order. He stated they would not refund the money, even though the mistake was theirs. The only way for me to get a new sensor was to create a new order and pay again. This call was 34 minutes. When I said that was unacceptable, I was told that I would need to speak to billing to resolve this and they are unavailable now and to make, yet again, another call during the week when I work. So after 82 minutes of my time, I have no order and am out $45 plus tax, have an unprotected door. Several people I spoke to were nice but unhelpful, 2 were downright rude. They are quick to take your money but otherwise a nightmare to deal with. Please stay away and use another company.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

Protection 1 sux! Bought a new home with a current and active system and Protection 1 will not let me out of the Contract. My apt lease expired and I can't use their system at the new home. They won't work with anyone. "Dwayne" stated "we are working with you, if the new person that moves in the apt takes over the contract." As if I have control on when it gets leased and if they want the service. I will never use ADT/Protection 1 again. I have been a customer for almost 20 years! Go with anyone else but Protection 1! I had a lot of issues with the system in the beginning as others had too.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Stay away from this company. I have been with them 10 years and we sold a lake house that we had their services. They say I have a verbal contract with them for 2 more years. They can't give me anything to show this to me unless I get a court order. So they want me to pay 750 to cancel them.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

Protection 1, now ADT has a terrible billing/customer service department. We have had constant problems with them. It started when our card on file expired (October) and the payment declined. Our fault we missed updating. No problem, we immediately took care of it and put a new card on file. We were told that it would take effect right away and nothing else would need to be done. Afterwards, for the next couple of days, we continued to get calls demanding we pay them because we were "overdue" so Protection 1 said. We kept providing the confirmation number and we kept getting the same excuse, "oh well you're on a call list and you must not have gotten updated." Fast forward to November's payment. We get another call, "you're overdue, we need you to pay, we can use the card on file...blah blah blah".

After some research, the card didn't immediately take effect like we were told. Again, we immediately paid the balance and got a confirmation number. The next day, I again received several calls, "you have a past due balance...blah blah". We provide the confirmation number and tell them we already paid. "Oh, you must not have been taken off the list. You're off now so disregard the call." Not an hour later....another call. "You have a past due balance". Come on Protection 1....get your act together. Train your people correctly and DO YOUR JOB! Terrible customer service. Terrible billing department. I could write more reviews on their tech team, but that's for another time. If you read this, do yourself a favor. Go with someone else or be prepared for total incompetence with this company. We are now getting rid of their service.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

I wouldn't recommend Protection One to my worst enemy. Junk equipment, and worst service. Do yourself a favor and search reviews before picking a security company. Or better yet, find a local security company. Since we switched, the nightmare ended. I can't say enough about how bad this company is...

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

I called several times over a month and told them to stop billing my card. They promised they would and bill the appropriate person. They also said in two conversations for me to look out for a credit to appear on my card. Needless to say it never appeared. My last conversation to complain was greeted with indifference and a claim that they had no evidence on their computers that I'd called, and yet they had the name of the new person to bill at their fingertips. Shabby company, don't use them.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

Worst customer service ever, leaving, not paying for this anymore. Can’t use it, don’t work, avoid them! Absolute worst customer service for an “alarm company.” She wanted to argue, told me to go to a hardware store.... yeah, ok, #byefelisha ...

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

I do not recommend to sign a contract with these people. After I received an device for "FREE" they make me a tricky contract for 3 years. I never used it for my apartment and paid for almost 2 years of 3 years contract. Cancelation makes difficult and need to pay $500 + month +..=$600.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

Upgraded my system last month with this company and it hasn’t worked properly in weeks. Goes offline constantly, causing a very loud alert at all hours of the night until you acknowledge that you have read that your system is unable to work due to being offline. Think you can get someone out there quickly to resolve this problem? Is four days an acceptable window? Not to me it isn’t. Nearly everyone I have spoken with On various levels of their customer service is BEYOND rude. Really unhappy with my decision to keep this company. So you purchase this system to arm your home, pay a lot of money, and your home is unarmed 24 hours a day. What am I missing here? Don’t get me started on being promised camera install...didn’t happen. Trying to get ahold of someone to return to my home to finish the job is an actual joke.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

I'm up at 1:56am in the morning tired. My 80 year old father is up too, because we just upgraded a week ago but for some reason everytime I walk down my stairs my alarm go off and says my front door or garage door is opening. I call yesterday and they tell me a person will be out next Wednesday. I set my alarm last night. It goes off at 1:54am like someone breaking in. We all up running checking the house. No doors open. The alarm just went off on its own. I get a call and let the representative know what's going on. They tell me for someone to come see as a emergency call it will be $184. Hell no. We been with them for over 13 years faithful.

Then when they upgraded we find out my living room and dining room dont have sensors so anybody can break in those two ways and we always thought we had full protection in those areas and they want to charge me $280 to get sensors for those two rooms. Come on now protection 1. I'm gonna get rid of yall and go with vinvint security system because you all do not look after your loyal customers of many years and you treat like trash and think it's ok. I will be reaching out to the CEO of the company and let them know the treatment I have received and how I have to deal with this till they get a opening next week and how be up and cant sleep because I cant set my alarm because it just go off and your customer service and supervisors dont care per their response back to me.

Protection 1 author review by Ben Mannes

Protection 1’s home security system pricing starts at $34.99 a month. The company offers home automation features for an additional charge. Protection 1 covers up to $1,000 towards your insurance deductible.

• Security equipment: Protection 1 offers flexible plans that you can customize to your home, security preferences and monitoring needs (landline or cellular). You can add remote door locks, night vision cameras, wireless doorbells, garage door sensors and more components to create a home security system that meets all your needs.

• Security features: Protection 1's app lets you control home lighting, see live security video, arm or disarm your system, control your thermostat and unlock your doors from anywhere.

• Monitoring services: Security packages include professional monitoring services.

• Installation: Professional installation costs $99.

• Trial period: Protection 1 does not offer a free trial period.

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Protection 1 Company Information