Consumer Reviews and Complaints

• 3 stars9%
  • 2 stars3%
  • 1 stars13%

www.guardianprotection.com/consumer-affairs.html

Guardian Protection Services provides years of experience in innovative, integrated security and automation for homes and businesses. Guardian provides the Edge™ in high-tech, reliable options. Some services include traditional security technology including intrusion and fire detection, indoor and outdoor video security, and smart home features like automated lights, locks, thermostats and garage doors. These services can be accessed from the Guardian App anywhere you have internet access. If an emergency happens you can feel comfortable knowing that our 24/7, award-winning monitoring center will initiate a response in an average of 30 seconds or less.

Get the Guardian Edge™: More than just security; peace of mind and convenience. Call us today! We Connect What Matters!

Guardian Protection Services

Thanks for sharing your Guardian experience, Elmer. I'm glad you have found the system convenient and manageable to use. If you ever have any questions, feel free to call 855.268.5900 or email social@gpsx.net.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

I got two of the keypads from Guardian Protection Services. I like the digital part, where the system's not on a phone line anymore. That's what really made up my mind to get this service. The guys explained the security system to me before they left, but I'm a hard learner. However, I'm trying to learn it. I tried to get out or come in. I got the system going and finally figured it out. So far, I'm doing real well and I like the system real well. The sales representative was very nice, knew what he was talking about, and was very good to explain everything, and that's another reason why I liked Guardian and got their service. The installer was nice, too, and he explained everything after he got the system installed. I was real satisfied with both of them.

Tom,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Guardian story! We are very thankful for customer feedback, especially from loyal customers like you. As I hope you know, please reach out if you ever have any questions or concerns.

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Original review: Sept. 5, 2016

We have been a Guardian customer for 15 to 20 years and I can tell you we have had great service. I tell people all the time that I don't know any other company that has a customer service, installation, and sales people that are more friendly and helpful than Guardian. The sales person that consulted with us for our first system and add-ins over the years just worked with us to install a system in our new home. I seldom feel like I'm being "sold" anything and always receive professional recommendation about new devices and my homes needs. I'd never use another security monitoring and installation company. If you wants great outside sales person ask for Dewey, there is no one better! All the techs are great too, customer service is unmatched.

Hi Henry,

Thank you for sharing feedback about your Guardian experience. I will have someone reach out to you to try to help you with your mobile access. I'm glad to hear that your experience has been positive thus far!

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

I purchased a service package from Guardian Protection Services that includes all the doors and motions in the hall, smoke detectors, and glass break. The security service I had before didn't have the smoke detector, motion for the overhead door, and the glass breakage that I wanted. The installation guy was great and he explained to us good. Some of the stuff that the salesman had said we were gonna get weren't on his paper so he made sure that he checked with them and got it before he did anything. However, I'm having a problem shutting my alarm off on my tablet. But so far, the service is good.

Resolution In Progress

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SIGN A CONTRACT WITH GUARDIAN!!! When we decided to buy with Ryan Homes in Whitehall, PA they had us meet with their Guardian rep. Michael **. He assured us that we would have a window to decide whether or not to use their security services. We decided not to and informed him that we wouldn't be using them, but he got my wife to sign the contract under the false pretense that we wouldn't owe anything if the system weren't activated. After closing on the house, a Guardian Tech showed up to activate the system and we explained that we weren't having it activated. He left and the system stayed off. Two months later, we receive a bill for service and when we called to investigate we're told that we were under contract and that a multi-thousand cancellation fee would apply, even though the service is not active in our house, and never has been. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Guardian Protection Services

Thank you for sharing your review, Thomas Carr. We are proud to help protect what matters most to you.

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

I have three alarms, door alarms, and a motion sensor because I don't want people breaking into my house without me knowing about it. So far, it's been all right with Guardian Protection Services.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guardian Protection Services?

Guardian Protection Services

Thank you for sharing your feedback, Greg. Customer satisfaction is our top priority and we look forward to helping protect what matters most to you.

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Original review: Sept. 25, 2016

Somebody from Guardian came to the door and my wife answered. And we got a service package that seemed to offer a little bit more than that the one we had before, which was Monitronics. We have voice activation and we're actually talking to somebody. So if something happens, somebody from Guardian is gonna activate through the system to speak to us, though not necessarily call us on the phone, which is good. The sales rep was fine and it took a while to get the system set up properly because we have a second area not attached in the house. We have a pool house where the alarm is connected to as well so it took a little bit of back and forth to get that set up right. But, eventually, I got it worked out. Installation was fine and there's no problem. They ran out of something so they had to come back and bring another one, but it was not a big deal and it went smoothly.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The salesperson of the builder of the house told me about Guardian who had come out and wired it. So I talked to Guardian and their two sales reps that came were very good, knowledgeable and personable. It made sense that all the features came bundled into one package. I'd recommend the Guardian Protection system. I had an issue before but they got it all fixed and now everything's working well. I'm very satisfied with the service so far.

Guardian Protection Services

I'm so glad to hear about your purchasing and installation process, Nicolle. Customer satisfaction is our top priority and we appreciate your feedback. Let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Original review: Sept. 23, 2016

We got the basic package with the smartphone from Guardian and it was easy to use. Moreover, the sales rep was polite, which was great. The installer was nice, friendly and he showed me how to use the system.

Hi Victor,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with Consumer Affairs. I'm glad you're enjoying the benefits of remote energy management from a smart thermostat! Please let us know if you run into any questions with your new system.

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

I bought the thing for the AC and for the doors, and a motion detector from Guardian Protection Services. I bought the one for the AC because the one that I had was broken, and we can adjust it from my car when I'm away. And when I go back, I can raise or lower the temperature. It's something beneficial for myself and my family. The sales rep was very kind and informative. He gave me all the details and wasn’t pushy. Their installation guy was nice and he installed everything faster than what he told me.

Aisha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am glad to hear that your sales and installation process went smoothly and we look forward to continuing to help protect what matters most to you.

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

We got Guardian's security and burglar alarm. A utilities concierge had told me about them. The installation team was fine. They did what they were supposed to do and explained everything. The service is fine so far.

Hello Dominick,

I'm sorry that you feel you had a negative experience. I've escalated your concerns and I see that you have a service appointment scheduled for today. A representative will reach out to you after the call to verify that you're satisfied.

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

Guardian Protection Services got forced down my throat by Ryan Holmes. If I wanted any other protection, I had to go with them. Jason, the sales rep was excellent. He told me what it would include and what it was. Everything from an alarm system to speakers. He explained it to my wife and myself and that was fine. But when they came in and installed the HDMI cables, they cut five cables. I wasted $2,000 for it to get done. So I just want a wireless speaker system instead. During the installation, I’m not allowed to be there. It was a new construction. It would be great if somebody from Guardian can contact me to figure out why my HDMI ports don’t work and why I paid $2,000 for them to wire my house when none of the stuff works.

Guardian Protection Services

Thanks for sharing your review, David. Glad to hear you are enjoying your new system. Let us know if you have any questions or concerns at any point.

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

Our old system was outdated and we had problems with our landline before so we got Guardian's wireless system. We included the medical necklace, two fire detectors and the doors monitor in our service package. The installation team was great and overall, it was a good experience.

James,

Thank you taking the time out of your life to share your Guardian story. We are honored to help protect what matters most to you.

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

We've been pleased with Guardian Protection Services. No issues and I appreciate it. Yesterday we had power outage and the system alerted us. It read no power in our home and it's a nice feature. I'm happy with my experience so far. The sales representative has been easy to contact and the installation team showed us how to operate the device and cleaned up after themselves.

Alta,

I'm glad to hear your feedback for Guardian. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. Let us know if you run into any questions or concerns.

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

Right now, I have the service for burglary. I have requested smoke detection and carbon monoxide, and that would be taken care of this week. The sales reps were very nice. The young man who installed the system was very helpful and walked me through it step by step.

Guardian Protection Services

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, John. I'm glad your Guardian products and services are adding peace of mind to your life when you're away from home.

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

Guardian Protection salesman who came by did a very good service and was on time. Also, the installation team did a fast job and everything went well. The service package I got has been very good. It's a great product and so I’ve signed up with them for four years. Having it takes a lot of worries off me especially since I’m away from the house a lot.

Factual basis uncertain

Initially had Guardian Protection Services installed when I bought my home. Signed up for what I thought was a 5 year contract. Contract ended in February, I called in April to cancel services, was shocked to learn that my contract had been auto renewed because I did not cancel before the period was up. At that time, Guardian told me my contract had auto-renewed for a year. I agreed to continue the service for that time period but reiterated that I planned to cancel my account at the end of it. Fast forward to August and I received a welcome letter from a company called Monitronics Security. Apparently Guardian had sold my account or merged with/got bought by this new company, which now had my account. I called Guardian immediately and was told they didn't have my account and couldn't help me. I then called Monitronics Security and was told my account still had 54 months remaining on it, so they decided to renew me automatically for 5 years!

Why in the world would I agree to stay on for 5 additional years? I wouldn't. I informed them that that was not accurate and that my contract with Guardian ended in February of 2016. So now in order to get out of the contract I have to pay Monitronics for 54 months advance service (almost $3000). This is laughable and a fraudulent practice. They asked me to review my contract terms and I did not have a copy available. They said they would send a copy which, after waiting patiently for a month, I never received it.

I called again today to ask again to cancel and correct their mistake. I found my initial Guardian welcome letter and certificate of installation showing I started my service in Feb of 2011, but they asked again if I had a copy of my contract. I told them it never arrived and he said they sent it last month. I asked them to resend and that I'm getting a little frustrated because I didn't think they were being honest with me. He said to give it another 48 hours and if nothing has shown up in email, to call him back to discuss again. I am deeply disappointed and extremely unsatisfied.

Jeff,

I'm sorry for this frustrating experience with our dealer Skyline. I escalated your concerns and have been informed that a technician was able to figure out the issue with your door and get it resolved. If you run into any questions or concerns, please contact us.

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

We have been customers of Guardian for about 15 months with no issues. When the batteries died over the weekend on the door mount, we replaced them, but it still did not work. My wife called on Monday to ask for help... Incredibly difficult to get any information out of the customer service reps. They're indifferent to customer needs and make scheduling an appointment an arduous task - AND we actually found out today that all we had to do was push and hold a button to reset the device (couldn't customer service have provided that little bit of information on the first call??!) So we schedule service and are given the "four hour window" and are told we would be called in the morning to confirm an approximate time of arrival.

Morning comes and is almost gone; we call to inquire. "Don't know." says the rep. Can you check and see if someone has been assigned, etc., etc. as we are trying to plan the rest of the day. The rep finally tells my wife 11 AM and that she will receive a call when they are on their way. 10:30 - 30 minutes early, a technician shows up without a courtesy call.

The Technician takes a look, pushes and holds a reset button as he tells my wife, "This is all you had to do..." Come to find out, the lock tries to secure, but won't. Makes the same sound it always has, but won't lock now. Ends up showing as "jammed" on the control panel. The Technician says he's going to truck to call supervisor. Comes back, says, "You've got to get your door jamb fixed." My wife says it's always worked just fine, and he says, "I've said all I have to say," and walks off. My wife calls customer service. They "can't do anything..." and "you'll have to pay $$$ if you want to cancel..." No one in the entire process apologized for our inconvenience or demonstrated any degree of concern for us as a customer. This was the classic "feel like a number" experience. We'll be counting the days until the end of our contract.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The people that we bought the house from had Guardian, and so we just kept the service package they already had. I discussed with their sales guy about adding another motion detector in our basement. He told me that it would be free of charge if I signed the 3-year agreement. Then when I scheduled a date, I thought they would come out to talk further about the system. However, it turned out the be the installation date. When the installation guy got here, he had no record of that negotiation over the phone. So I did not get my motion detector. They were not very informative. I did call them let them know, but I ended up not minding it because it was gonna be a pain in the neck to deal with it.

Pankaj,

Thanks for sharing your review. Congratulations on your new home! We are glad to hear you're experiencing the peace of mind Guardian can provide. Your feedback is very important to us. Please reach out if you ever run into any questions.

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Original review: Sept. 12, 2016

Guardian Protection Services came as a bundle with my homeowner's package along with the mortgage and house insurance. The package includes the home security and they also did my internal data ports, the TV hook-ups, and their 5.1 sound system. I got it for security and convenience. I was able to speak to them as part of my design session and we had two sessions where we discussed the options that I would be taking. We just finished the installations and everything went well. I have peace of mind now that the system is installed.

Hi Anita,

I escalated your concerns when this review came in and have facilitated contact between Guardian and your dealer. It looks like this misunderstanding was resolved. If you need anything else, please let me know.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2016

I bought the service provided and so far I have been happy with it but the salesman that sold this to me made promises he did not keep and there were 2 other people interested in this service but I did not give them the salesman name that was here. I told them to go to the website. I am not sure if they did or not but not happy with promises that are not kept just to sell a system.

Guardian Protection Services

Thank you for your review, Jeffrey. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the peace of mind integrated home security can provide. Please let us know if you run into any questions or concerns.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2016

I've had Guardian Protection Services for about a year and a half now, and everything has been good. I have the motion camera so that if someone breaks in, I have evidence. The person from the installation team was clean, very polite, helpful.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Somebody came to my door and told me about Guardian Protection Services. I already had an alarm with a landline, but I was interested in going wireless. It got my attention. The salesman was very polite and their installer was nice and knowledgeable. I got a camera and a fire alarm and I'm able to view my home and set the alarm off and on from far away. Then I was outside the United States two weeks ago and I was able to arm and disarm my alarm from overseas. I'm working a lot, so it's something that I can view and see when my children are at home or when they come back from school. I didn't have that before. However, I'm paying $93 for three months on my old alarm, but now I'm paying $53 monthly for the new one.

Guardian Protection Services

Thank you for your feedback, Tatiana. Customer satisfaction is very important to us and we will use your comments to continually approve our services. We are proud to help protect what matters most to you and your family!

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Original review: Sept. 10, 2016

The Guardian Protection Services sales rep was very friendly because my dad who answered the door doesn’t really talk to people if they don’t come off friendly. He explained the kind of service they offered and how we could benefit from it. We got their basic sensor alarm because of prior experience with home break-ins. We also asked about the video but it wasn't out yet. The guy who installed it did explain the system once he was done setting it up but he wasn't friendly. He didn’t want to answer questions while he was setting it up. Nevertheless, the whole thing’s been pretty good so far. Though we haven’t tried it out completely, we’re satisfied with it.

Resolution response: Sept. 12, 2016

Several hours after this posting I was contacted by Guardian. They agreed to renew on a month to month basis as opposed to the 5 yrs which I knew nothing about.

Hello,

I am sorry for your negative experience. I have been informed that you have discussed this issue with Guardian's Customer Loyalty team and they were able to resolve your concerns. Customer satisfaction is one of our top priorities and I'm glad we were able to reach a resolution.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

Initially had Guardian Protection Services installed when my home was built. Signed up for what I thought was a three year contract. Contract ended in January, I called today to cancel services, was shocked to learn that my contract had been auto renewed because I did not cancel before the period was up. And not just for 3 years but for 5! Why in the world would I agree to stay on for 5 additional years? I wouldn't. But they buried this language in a contract that I haven't looked at in three years. So now in order to get out of the contract I have to pay Guardian over $2400. This is laughable and a fraudulent practice. I am deeply disappointed and very unsatisfied.

Guardian Protection Services

Thank you for your feedback, Sibel. We love hearing about great Guardian experiences! Be sure to reach out if you run into any questions or concerns.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

The previous owner of our house had Guardian and they were happy with the service so they recommended them to us. We have the carbon monoxide alarm downstairs then the alarm goes straight to the police when it goes off. The system was already there and it was part of it so we thought we might as well use it. Their sales rep was very courteous, very nice and helped us immediately. The person that came out to check the alarm and show me how things work was awesome and very efficient. It's been great and I'm very happy with the service.

Resolution response: Sept. 13, 2016

Thank you for your swift and quick response. Your technician and management teams reached above and beyond to address our concerns. Please take a moment and commend your teams for restoring our trust in your company. Guardian will always be our first choice with providing our security needs for our home and business. Your company will always be Paramount in the security industry.

Hi H.S.

I am sorry to hear that you had a frustrating situation. I've been informed that Guardian was able to get a technician out to your home and he was able to address some of your concerns. I see he will be returning to make sure everything is correct with your system. If you have any additional questions, feel free to reach out.

Customer Satisfaction Advocate.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

This is a new Ryan community. The house was pre-wired for an alarm system By Guardian Protection Services. Periodically we lose power due to the building of new homes. On Wed September 7th 2016, I lost power for a few hours. After the power was restored the system registered a low battery. Upon checking the battery, I noticed the control board was screwed to the box with cardboard wedged between the motherboard to keep it from shorting directly to the can. Also the battery has one screw at the top and one screw at the bottom of the battery to hold it in. Where is the battery tray that should be installed with the Honeywell Can? Why is the motherboard not mounted safely with control board mounts? Knowing that electricity travels the least path of resistance, this would cause a fire under certain circumstances due to the control not being properly grounded. There is no backing plate installed.

I contacted customer service and the gentleman stated that this is the way the company normally installs the systems. I find this to be unbelievable and if true, this would be a purposeful disregard for life safety and for the safety of our home. I made a request for a supervisor or for Mr. Mike ** to return my call so that we may discuss this issue and come up with a resolution. The customer service representative advised that he would not be having either person call and would only entertain sending a technician to take a look at the problem. I advised the representative that I would like for a Supervisor to contact me or to come out with the technician to evaluate. Customer service refused to help. At the present my system is disconnected from the power due to it being unsafe. I would like to be contacted by a supervisor so this can be resolved.

I have 2 business locations that have Guardian services, both accounts have door lock options (most important reason why I signed with Guardian), and both having trouble after 2 months service starts. Signal and functions are always problem, so when contact the customer service, they said I have to pay for the new lock and tech to come out to fix. What a scam. They provide the poor quality lock for my businesses, and saying it's was due to the harsh condition where the door lock was installed, they know it's for business when I sign up for the service, now they are saying I must pay the door lock. As business, if you can't provide the service, then you are breaching the contract, charging me service that I didn't receive, and when I say I am going to cancel and switch to other company that willing to take care my problem, they said I have to pay for the remaining of the contract in full for both accounts. This is scam, stay away.

Sandi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your Guardian story. Customer satisfaction is our top priority.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

We had a security system at our old house and we thought having pre-wired speakers would be nice so we got Guardian's alarm system for the house and then speakers and sound system in the basement. The sales reps were very helpful and nice. The installers set up the system quickly and explained how to use it.

Guardian Protection Services

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, Terry. I escalated your concerns about billing to the dealer you worked with, Skyline and have been informed that everything was resolved. Please reach out if you have any questions or concerns.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

My system from Guardian includes the glass break, the two-way touch screen monitor, and two doors, and an app on my phone as far as being able to disarm and arm. The installer was also very nice, honest, helpful and informative. I'm happy with the system other than the fact that they said I was gonna be able to get a camera and then when they got here, I had told them upfront that I have satellite internet and the salesman said that’s fine. It can work but they said it'd be a sporadic camera. I was going to drop my monthly rates based on the fact that I didn’t have a camera, but I really wanted that camera. And now, I have to get one on my own and tie into my system rather than theirs.

Another issue was when I was also told what my charge was gonna be and I wrote a check. They told me $50 so I gave them $50 check. I didn’t expect it to all of a sudden be for $60 because now I have that check for 50 and I was charged $60. And they were willing to say that they were gonna send me a $30 check because I got charged overdraft, because this was based on money that I have set in my savings account for retirement. Today, I looked at my account and I have a $50 charge from them on there. I called them and it's California and they say that nobody’s there this time. And that was the activation fee, which there was not supposed to be any. So now I'm waiting for a callback on that for them to reverse that. As it seems now, they can go in there every day and draw a fee.

Guardian Protection Services

Thanks for the review Antone! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your review!

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

We bought a KB Home and Guardian is the security system that’s throughout the neighborhood. I am extremely satisfied with it as of right now. It has the window break and motion sensors for the safety of my family.

Expert Review

Erin RaubAlarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.    More about Erin→

Guardian Protection Services, founded in 1950, is available in select geographic areas of the U.S. Long regarded as a basic security services provider, the company has recently overhauled its offerings to include more advanced equipment and diversified add-ons.

• Flexible packages: With five basic packages and more than a dozen add-on upgrades, Guardian Protection Services offers some of the most flexible packages today.
  • emPower™: The company's branded home automation controls your home's thermostat, lights, and locks.
  • Best price guarantee: Guardian Protection Services used to have a reputation for high installation charges, so they countered with their Best Price Guarantee: they'll match any written or web-based quote for comparable home security system installation.
  • Packages: Guardian's packages are flexible, but their basic packages offer limited equipment. Upgrades can be pricey.
  • Coverage area: Guardian Protection Services offers coverage in certain parts of Arizona, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, North Carolina, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Wisconsin, and West Virginia. If you move out of their coverage area, you'll pay a termination fee.
  • Best for Homeowners, tech-savvy shoppers and hands-off consumers.

Guardian Protection Services Company Profile