Guardian Protection Reviews

About Guardian Protection

Guardian Protection offers traditional home security technology and smart home features, including automated lights, locks, thermostats and garage doors. You can access these services from the Guardian app anywhere you have internet access. If an emergency happens, Guardian’s 24/7 professional monitoring center initiates responses for you.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Installation included
    • Customizable plans
    • Smart home features
    Cons
    • Not available nationwide
    • Early cancellation fee

Featured Reviews

Verified
    Racine, WI

Every time I've called Guardian, they've been very good. ... I've never had a system that was monitored like this. My smoke detector, CO2 detector, if I take it off the wall, it s...

Verified
    Cincinnati, OH

I'm not gadget-fancy and it does what I need it to do... When I have interactions with their team, it's great but it is very seldom because their equipment never fails. ... Now I ...

Our editor’s take

Guardian Protection has a wide selection of home security, automation and monitoring equipment, making it ideal for homeowners looking for anything from basic security to medical monitoring. The company does require contracts, however, and the lack of pricing transparency on its website makes it difficult to compare to its competitors.

» Jump to article

• 1%
    • 2%
    • 84%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guardian Protection?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guardian Protection?
      Profile pic of the author.
      Customer ServiceInstallation & Setup

Reviewed July 10, 2024

We rented a home in Austin that had Guardian installed already but we were told it was not active. We accidentally hit a button and the system armed even though we didn't have the code. So essentially you can have a toddler who accidentally presses a button and arms the system - not exactly ideal. We called Guardian since the alarm started sounding and they were zero help. They said the account was inactive for several years but the equipment might still sound even on an inactive account - it's just not being monitored on their end. The worst part is they couldn't tell us how to turn it off. Our property manager called asking them to uninstall the system and they refused. So beware - once it's installed in your house, it will arm without a code, sound even if you cancel the service and Guardian won't help you get rid of the system.

Hi Sarah,
      I am sorry for the difficulty. You can resolve this issue by locating the control panel for the system. It is usually located in the basement or a closet, and unplugging it.

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Profile pic of the author.
      Verified purchase
      J increased rating by 3 stars.
      Installation & SetupContract & TermsSales & Marketing
      After a positive interaction with Guardian Protection, J increased their star rating on June 19, 2024.

Updated review: June 19, 2024

The company was willing to work with us to find a way to resolve our issues, though it did take a bit of work to get in touch with the right person. We are sufficiently satisfied with their response, and happy to report the matter has been resolved.

Original Review: June 13, 2024

This company is the worst. We were pitched this service when we bought our first house and it has been almost 5 years of horrendous horse manure from them. I could go on at length but the gist of it is Read Their Contract Before You Sign! That will tell you all you need to know about who they are. They are not responsible if the system malfunctions, is installed improperly by Their personnel, or needs repair from improper installation. They say that you own the equipment once they install it so they have no responsibility to maintain it. When we finally tracked the wiring down for our system the pile of daisychained cords they took from Our Garage were a Huuuuge fire hazard. We were better off disconnecting altogether.

We tried to work something out and realized they give 0% about whether it works or not as long as you pay them. And if you don't pay, you owe your remaining contract balance + $1250 cancellation + collection fees + attorney fees. Even moving doesn't free you from their horse manure contract. Their fee to cancel is exorbitant and they just truly do not care about your safety or functionality of their equipment. I have come to believe everything from this company is all just a scam. Pleeeeaase reconsider if you are thinking of signing up and if you have this service already I recommend you cancel the service (you'll still have to pay but at least it won't auto-renew) and then keep an eye out for the request to remove their data transmission device, the one piece they still own - otherwise I am sure this will require some overblown fee because clearly this company will not survive legitimately.

No one stays because they are pleased. They stay because they are trapped and get caught in a cycle of automatic renewal. I am honestly disgusted that their practices are technically legal because of the fine print included in their contracts. I legitimately expect them to be in a public class action lawsuit one day. If you are considering this please think again, once you're signed up the minimum contract is 60 months - 5 years. There are better alternatives out there. Run - don't walk - run away!

Hi J.,

I’m sorry that you feel frustrated with this situation. We take your concerns seriously because your satisfaction is important to us.

Guardian or its authorized dealer consulted with you on your security challenges and provided the security hardware needed along with professional installation. Since then, Guardian has provided 24-hour a day monitoring of your system by the trained specialists at our UL-certified monitoring centers. Our ongoing service provides alarm signal monitoring and notification to first responders on your behalf when emergency situations arise, based on protocols that you have established with us. These services were formalized through a contract signed by you and Guardian. The agreement serves to protect both you and Guardian, by defining services to be provided, rates, terms and obligations. The contract also identifies all conditions such as an early termination fee that may apply if you wish to cancel prior to the end of the initial contract period.

If you would like me to investigate your concerns, please reach out to me via direct message or by emailing WeCare@guardianprotection.com

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed May 31, 2024

**Buyer Beware** once you cancel services, you lose all value in equipment paid! I was a Vintage customer for 6 years where Vintage was recently acquired by Guardian. I canceled my monitoring service but the contractual agreement states I own the equipment. I have a $300 doorbell camera I purchased through Vintage about 3 years in. It is currently recording but I no longer have access to it. I can use all other equipment except that. Guardian can still view it, but I cannot. Huge violation of privacy. The contract states I no longer have access to service, but the equipment. I do and cannot access or use it. You never actually own your equipment! Save yourselves money and check before getting into these expensive equipment packages that are worthless when you can buy the Ring or Lorex and truly own your equipment. Also check with BBB to file any complaints there as well.

Dear Lesco,

I am sorry for the frustration. Like Vintage Security, Guardian Protection is dedicated to your satisfaction. The price of your monthly subscription was not increased when Vintage became part of Guardian Protection. Your monthly subscription fee remained the same, however, Guardian found it necessary to collect sales tax on the monthly subscription fee.

I have located your account and see that you spoke with our customer care specialist on May 17 to cancel your subscription stating that you were not using the system. Given that you had fulfilled your agreement term, our specialist honored your request and cancelled the services to which you subscribed. You contacted us again on May 31 to express dissatisfaction that you could no longer use the video doorbell that had been installed with your system. Per your original agreement with Vintage Security (now Guardian Protection), the Equipment is yours to do with as you wish, however when you canceled your subscription, the monitoring services and remote access and control services ended. You are able to continue using the security system within your home and the siren will sound if an alarm is triggered but a signal will not be received by the monitoring center allowing them to respond. The services that power the remote access and control of any devices require a subscription through an authorized Alarm.com dealer such as Vintage or Guardian. If you would like to restore the functionality of security services related to your system, a new agreement will be required. We would be glad to assist you with that. Please contact our customer care team at 1-800-PROTECT (1-800-776-8328).

Contract & Terms

Reviewed May 25, 2024

Do not sign with Guardian Protection. It's absolutely waste. Their system break and they want money to repair and then when you close the account it activates the system. This company doesn't provide any useful services. Don't sign contract and fool yourself. There are much better no contract companies available.

Hi Shyam,
        I am sorry for any difficulty you may be having. Please private message your account information (full name, premises address, phone number) so that we can locate your account and get you assistance. We look forward to hearing from you.

Verified purchase
        Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupMonitoringContract & TermsCamera & VideoTech

Reviewed May 9, 2024

We’ve had Guardian Security since 2020 and it's barely worked since the day we started our service. Connectivity to the touchpad by the front door is/was spotty at best and has been off and on for years. We called, they sent a tech, he said it was our Wi-Fi. Not true. One new Wi-Fi system later (Orbie Mesh which he recommended) and still issues; it finally just quit. No sense in calling a tech, they will probably try and fix it and burn something else up. That’s what happened when they tried to synch the main panel with the front panel, the back camera quit. I got up there to check it out and it was extremely hot to the touch.

I called tech support, and they talked me through resetting it. Eventually they sent a guy out to replace it. They tried to bill me for the camera when it was something they did when working on the pads. After a lot of back and forth they covered it. They also replaced the doorbell, and it is a piece of junk too. A lot of noise and poor image quality. Needless to say, I called today to cancel my service only to find out they have me enrolled in a 5-year contract which is weird since we bought the house pre-owned, and this equipment was already installed. I’ve been paying monthly since we started, it doesn’t work most of the time, the equipment is poor at best, the techs don’t truly ever fix anything. The cameras didn’t even record my vehicles getting broken into last night. But we did get to see the nightly arrival of the opossum in the driveway, it did record that. I don’t recommend their services.

Hi Jeffrey,
        I am sorry for the difficulty. Our company name is Guardian Protection and not Guardian Security. I am unable to locate a customer with first name Jeffrey in Campbellton, TX, so there is a possibility you have posted to the wrong company. If you feel that you have the correct company, I would like to get you assistance but I will need your account information. Please private message your account information (full name - first and last, premises address, phone number) or email it to wecare@guardianprotection.com. We look forward to hearing from you with your account information and/or with further clarification.

Contract & Terms

Reviewed May 6, 2024

Guardian is an awful company that only cares about getting as much money as possible from you. I do not recommend that anyone sign a contract with them. They do not care about their customers, their needs, or retaining customers.

Hi C.,
        Thank you for sending your account information. I escalated this to our loyalty liaison and I understand that you and she have spoken and were able to satisfactorily resolve your issue. We appreciate your loyalty to Guardian Protection and wish you all the best in the future.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsSales & Marketing

Reviewed April 17, 2024

Guardian's sales representatives are dishonest and the company's practices are greedy. I moved into a house 2 years ago and had a security system installed. The sales representative had me sign forms on his iPad to initiate service, but no explained that what I was signing was a deal with the devil. They just told me they needed a "quick signature" to start services, so I pressed a button on his iPad which “signed” my initials. No one showed me any documents or explained that what I was signing was a 5 year contractual agreement. They implied that I was signing to agree to payment to start service.

Flash forward 2 years, when we sell our home and I call to cancel services. They informed me that they would charge me $1250 for "breaking contract". $1250!! I was incredulous. I had NO idea I was under contract and, even so, have NEVER heard of a cancellation fee so exorbitantly expensive. I had them email me this "contract.” It was a 9 page document that I never read because I was never offered an opportunity to read it. My signature was electronically falsified when I pressed a button on the rep’s iPad. On top of this, the sales representative never felt it necessary to explain this contract to me when initiating services. I called my real estate agent and she was shocked and that this is not standard practice with security companies. She stated she will no longer be recommending this company to her buyers. This company and the sales representative are not trustworthy. Like other people said, trust the reviews.

Hi Laura,

Sincerely

Customer ServiceCamera & VideoTechOnline & App

Reviewed Jan. 5, 2024

When I bought my home, I was offered a home alarm company that was running a special. I went with the promotion- (and every time you talk to them they deny). My doorbell camera has never worked-it does not work 90% of the time- and if someone rings my doorbell I cannot talk to them like the app shows. From day one they have blamed the brick exterior of my home! The camera on the front of my house has worked off and on since day one! They blame my internet provider. I have two internet providers! Even bought an extender. Was told I could pay $75 for someone to come check it out- and if it’s been like this since day 1? I’ve called numerous times to report and yet they always say I can pay a technician to come and review. My front door lock does not always work. And half the time any of the coverage recording is for less than 30 seconds.

Hi Rebekah,
        I am sorry for the frustration. I would like to get you some assistance. Please email your account information - full name, premises address, phone number - to WeCare@GuardianProtection.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsOnline & App

Reviewed Dec. 2, 2023

Their camera system does not let you record for more than 30 seconds. It means if an intruder rings your door bell, it won't record what happens afterwards. We set our setting to do more than 30 secs, but it still records only 30 sec. We tried to get in touch with their tech, but issue was not resolve. They are inexperienced and assumes everyone uses an Apple phone. Kept telling me to swipe up on my android phone to restart my app because their setting functions wasn't showing for me. I guess their app doesn't work on an android phone. The camera equipment we have keeps failing too, and they charge a fee of 75$ for a tech to visit you, and then more per hour. With that cost, you can buy a much better camera. We are thinking of canceling it because it gives a false sense of security. We want to file a report with the BBB and null our 5 year contract for faulty service that can jeopardize lives. If anyone can help, please do. Thank!

Hi Neo,
        I am sorry for the difficulty. I was able to locate the account information associated with your review and escalated your issues to our technical care supervisor. After careful research it was found that the problem is related to an electrical issue at your home. This issue is outside of Guardian's control and will need to be addressed by a registered electrician. Our technical care supervisor has followed up on this review with a call to the premises and spoke to Sarah, the account signer today, December 6. She acknowledged and agreed that the issue is electrical and is something Guardian cannot fix. She also apologized for the posting of the negative review and explained that it was a result of your frustration, which we fully understand. Sarah informed our supervisor that you or she will be reaching out to an electrician to fix. We wish you the best and remain available to you if you have additional questions. Feel free to call us at 1-800-PROTECT (1.800.776.8328). Mary Lynn M.

Contract & TermsCamera & VideoTech

Reviewed Oct. 10, 2023

This company all it cares is that you pay them and provide zero service. Their technician ever argue with you on the products you want to put on your house. They have zero warranty on their products. For the last 6 month my system has failed in every sense the SVR and camera are bad. We are on a 5 year contract & a model home (meaning we advertise with the little signs protected by Guardian). The Amazon Blink cameras do a better job than guardian. They don't care on providing security. I have logged video pictures with date stamp to show how their product has failed and the bill gets paid cause if you don't pay they will send you to collections. Here are the display message Video Device - Not Responding (SVR).

Video Device - Not Responding (SIDE CAMERA). This video device missed two consecutive remote connectivity tests from Alarm.com within the past 8-16 hours. Please verify the device is online. If the device appears online, it is possible the device has an intermittent connection. We would suggest verifying the device has sufficient bandwidth and a strong network connection to support consistent device connectivity. If the device is offline, unplug the device for 10 seconds and then reconnect the power cord. If the LED is not solid green, click the "Troubleshoot" button.

Video Device - Not Responding (DRIVEWAY). This video device missed two consecutive remote connectivity tests from Alarm.com within the past 8-16 hours. Please verify the device is online. If the device appears online, it is possible the device has an intermittent connection. We would suggest verifying the device has sufficient bandwidth and a strong network connection to support consistent device connectivity. If the device is offline, unplug the device for 10 seconds and then reconnect the power cord. If the LED is not solid green, click the "Troubleshoot" button.

Video Device - Not Responding (FRONT PORCH). This video device missed two consecutive remote connectivity tests from Alarm.com within the past 8-16 hours. Please verify the device is online. If the device appears online, it is possible the device has an intermittent connection. We would suggest verifying the device has sufficient bandwidth and a strong network connection to support consistent device connectivity. If the device is offline, unplug the device for 10 seconds and then reconnect the power cord. If the LED is not solid green, click the "Troubleshoot" button. This company is a toxic and unprofessional company. All they care is about money not the client!

Hi Francisco,
        I am sorry for the difficulty. I would like to get you some assistance. Please email your account information (full name, premises address, phone number) to wecare@guardianprotection.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Don't like scammers? You won't like burglars either. See your best security system.

How customers rated Guardian Protection

Customers who have left reviews on ConsumerAffairs have reported positive experiences with Guardian Protection’s service technicians, but 60% of reviewers had negative experiences with the company’s customer service. Reviews regarding installation and setup tend to be mixed, and customers have reported inconsistent experiences with the company’s website and app.

Our analysis of the reviews here on ConsumerAffairs surfaced the following trends:

• Customer Service is the most mentioned by reviewers and is about 60% negative.
          • Reviewers tend to have mixed experiences with installation and setup.
          • Reviewers tend to have negative experiences with contracts.
          • Service technician experiences have been mostly positive.
          • Online and app experiences have been inconsistent with reviewers.
          • Customers have not mentioned shipping or delivery in the past five years.
          • 2,040 people have found the reviews for Guardian Protection on ConsumerAffairs helpful.

How satisfied are reviewers with Guardian Protection?

Service technicians: Excellent

Reviews for Guardian Protection on our site frequently mention positive experiences with the company's installation technicians. Customers have reported good customer service and that the system works well.

Customer service: Good

Customers who left reviews on ConsumerAffairs have praised the company for its responsive customer support, knowledgeable representatives, and professionalism in handling issues.

Some customers have expressed frustration with unexpected charges, difficulty canceling their service, and issues with billing, but Guardian Protection has a good reputation for customer service overall.

Installation and setup: Fair

Experiences with Guardian Protection's installation and setup have been mixed, according to reviews on our site. Many customers have reported positive experiences with knowledgeable and efficient installation technicians who provided helpful guidance throughout the process.

Other customers have experienced delays or issues with scheduling, however, and some have reported that technicians were not adequately prepared or equipped to handle their specific needs.

Compare Guardian Protection to other security companies

Let's go

Guardian Protection equipment and monitoring

Guardian Protection offers nine different equipment packages, most of which are themed around lifestyles. The company offers a quiz to help you find the right package, but, unlike many of its competitors, does not include pricing on its site. Instead, you must contact the company for a free quote.

All plans come with 24/7 professional monitoring and free installation.

Guardian Protection equipment packages

Many of Guardian Protection's equipment packages combine a mix of security and home automation features. Our table provides a side-by-side comparison of the company's nine plans to help you find the best home security package for your needs.

Guardian Protection cost

Guardian Protection’s plans start at $46.99 a month, but the company does not include specific pricing on its website. Instead, you must contact the company for a free quote. The company requires a three- to five-year contract.