4.2/5 (2302 ratings)

About Guardian Protection

Guardian Protection offers traditional home security technology and smart home features, including automated lights, locks, thermostats and garage doors. You can access these services from the Guardian app anywhere you have internet access. If an emergency happens, Guardian’s 24/7 professional monitoring center initiates responses for you.

Find Home Alarm and Security Systems partners near you

Pros

• Installation included
    • Customizable plans
    • Smart home features

Cons

• Not available nationwide
    • Early cancellation fee

Bottom Line

Guardian Protection offers customized plans for single residents, families, travelers, pet owners and others. It requires an upfront fee starting at $149 and a monthly fee starting at $45.99 per month, with installation included.

Top Guardian Protection Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Every time I've called Guardian, they've been very good. ... I've never had a system that was monitored like this. My smoke detector, CO2 detector, if I take it off the wall, it s...

Verified

I'm not gadget-fancy and it does what I need it to do... When I have interactions with their team, it's great but it is very seldom because their equipment never fails. ... Now I ...

Guardian Protection plans

Guardian Protection customizes smart home security packages based on your needs. It puts together packages based on common living situations, including:

• Bachelor(ette) Pad, built for single residents with limited needs
    • Burglar Buster, built for those concerned about recent break-ins in the area
    • Family First, built for families; allows parents to check in on their children
    • Frequent Flyer, built for those who travel often
    • Healthy (Green) Home, built for those who want an environmentally friendly home
    • Home Security Essentials, built for those who want an effective solution without extra technology
    • Pet Parent, built for pet owners who want to check in on their pets
    • Protect My Parents, built for caretakers of older residents; includes medical monitoring
    • The Works, built for those who want a thorough solution, including home security equipment and full home automation

All Guardian Protection packages include 24/7 monitoring, professional installation and app access. The most basic package from Guardian Protection includes an IQ2 touch-screen panel and home automation. It also comes with PowerG wireless intrusion technology for more secure encryption, longer range and better battery life.

Guardian Protection products

Guardian Protection offers automation, life safety and security equipment that work together with 24/7 monitoring to provide home protection. Popular equipment from Guardian Protection includes:

• Motion sensor systems
    • Glass break detectors
    • Video doorbells
    • Indoor and outdoor cameras
    • Smart garage door openers
    • Smart door locks
    • Door and window sensors

Guardian Protection installation

Guardian Protection security systems must be professionally installed. However, the company includes the installation fee in all home security packages. Guardian Protection’s technicians test your system to make sure it works properly. These installers also evaluate your property for weak security spots or areas of concern.

Guardian Protection cost

Guardian Protection’s prices vary depending on the package you choose, but its base package starts at $45.99 per month over 60 months and requires an upfront $149 for equipment.

Additionally, the company does charge certain fees, including:

• A paper statement fee of $2 per month (avoidable with setup of automatic payment)
    • A guard service fee if your municipality requires a third-party guard service
    • A service copay of $50 for service calls
    • Any time, material and non-warranty repair fees if you need a repair

Guardian Protection FAQ

Is Guardian Protection available in my state?
    Guardian Protection services are available in:
    • Austin, Texas
    • San Antonio
    • Tampa Bay area
    • Washington, D.C.
    • Youngstown, Ohio
    What do reviews say about Guardian Protection?
    Guardian Protection reviews mention Guardian’s helpful customer service, quick response times and easy-to-use equipment.
    How do you cancel Guardian Protection services?
    Contact Guardian Protection directly if you wish to cancel a Guardian Protection service contract, but be aware the company charges an early termination fee on most plans.
    Who owns Guardian Protection services?
    Guardian Protection’s parent company is Armstrong Group, which is based in Butler, Pennsylvania.

Do we recommend Guardian Protection?

Guardian Protection offers a variety of home security packages that can be customized to your home, needs and lifestyle. The company includes professional installation services with its packages, and its line of products includes smart home connectivity. Guardian Protection’s service area is limited to select parts of the U.S., however.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guardian Protection?

Original review: May 5, 2022

We were happy with our system for some time now, but the light has been turned on. The doorbell camera started to have issues. I called customer service several times about the issue. After being on the phone with them last Friday until after 11:00 PM, they sent a technician to try and correct it. He noted when he started he found the panel inside was not snapping in at the top. He called Guardian and suggested the camera be replaced due to the numerous failures. He also told them about the panel not snapping in. We were told the camera only had a 90 day warranty and would cost $280.00 to replace it. They did admit there was a flaw with the panel and would replace at no charge, but we would still have to pay a $75.00 service fee for the technician to come back and change it out.

Original review: April 5, 2022

Guardian protection set my fire alarm off and refused to turn it off even after I told them that my house was not on fire. Guardian turned the alarm off when fire department arrived, but then then Guardian set my fire alarm off same time the next day and refused to turn it off and offered to transfer me to customer service. I am a retired and disabled military veteran. This guardian company need to be brought up on fraud charges. Customer service told me that I am under a 30 month contract.

I said, I have been in my home since August 2019 and I have not signed no new contract, therefore my contract is up and I want you to cancel my service now. I said it verbally and I also emailed it to them to cancel my service. That was about two weeks ago. I could not sleep in my home because guardian refused to turn my alarm off. This was cruel and inhumane. Guardian also told me that they would charge me a 700 early termination fee. Guardian also falsified a document saying that I agreed to a 90 month contract? I have never seen such rubbish in my life. This company must be sinking fast, and integrity and truthfulness drowned first.

Hi Lynette,
    I am sorry for the difficulty. Our supervisor has been trying to reach you to discuss your issue and would like to offer help. Unfortunately, our supervisor is unable to get through to your phone number. Your phone may be inadvertently blocking our calls. On April 6, our supervisor also reached out to you at the email address that we have on file for you but has not heard back from you. Today, April 8 at 10:40 a.m. EST, our supervisor re-sent the email to you containing her name and contact information. Please check your email for this message from Guardian Protection and call us so that we can assist in resolving your issues. We are here to help!

Sincerely, Mary Lynn M. Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 31, 2022

I bought a new house. Guardian had their equipment already in my new house. I decide to go with them since everything was there. They came in and installed extra 2 window monitors and a door switch. When the tech was done I signed electronically (iPad) for a 2 year contract. I paid every month not missing 1 payment. At the end of the 2 years they start to send me bills for their service. I called they said I signed for a 5 year agreement. I ask for the contracts. The signature and the initials are not mine. Doesn't even have the same letters as my name. They say I am Liable for the contract. I then ask ok how much to buy out. 895.00. I Would not recommend this company. My name is not on that contract. These people will ruin your credit. If they want their money I will for the early termination I will pay them 1 dollar a month. And charge them for storage of their equipment that they installed in my house.

Guardian Protection response

Hi Daniel, I am sorry for the frustration. We take your concerns seriously because customer satisfaction is very important to Guardian. I see that you joined Guardian in February 2020, with new equipment installed 2-26-20 and three months of free monitoring. The contract you signed was emailed to you February 21, 2020 and you viewed it February 22, 2020. The same contract was emailed to you again at your request March 25, 2022. You may want to look for the 2020 email so that you can compare them and feel comfortable that they are the same. We take your concerns seriously because customer satisfaction is very important to Guardian. Because Guardian makes a significant upfront investment when new electronic security hardware is installed and activated in your property, the costs of such hardware are recouped by the provider over the initial contract period. This is the reason an early termination fee may apply if you wish to cancel prior to the end of the initial contract period. The contract also serves to protect both the consumer and the provider, by defining services to be provided, rates, terms and obligations of each party. Sincerely, Mary Lynn M. Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Resolution response: April 4, 2022

Updating my review to 4 out of 5 stars. Following the release of the original review, Guardian reached out to me and said they had escalated our request to a team who could "take a closer look" at the financials of my account. The person who reached out was very apologetic and helpful. They agreed to relieve me of my contractual obligations. Issue Resolved.

The only criticism I have maybe in their customer service process. It was quite a lot of time and frustration to get to this point. Had I not written a negative public review, I question whether my request would have been considered further. Perhaps more power should be given to the customer service team to release contracts on a case by case basis and thereby avoiding what felt like my only last resort option of writing a negative review. Thanks for reading!

Original review: March 18, 2022

Guardian Protection has been pretty unsympathetic to our landlord selling our house and therefore not allowing us to renew our lease. We had a 3 year contract with Guardian, with 2.5 years already complete. The system was already setup by our owner. Our lease on the house was a year long but went month to month after the first year. Our landlord decided to sell the house in the hot market and gave us a 60-day written notice that our house was no longer available for rent. I attempted to cancel our contract with guardian. However, Guardian only gave us two options: Pay $750 cancelation fee or keep our monthly rate until the contract ended (approximately $300). I tried to explain that they would be charging us for a service we could no longer use because of circumstances outside our control.

No one is customer service seemed to see a problem and must have thought I was being unreasonable for not liking either option. I even sent my notice from our landlord as proof so that "upper management" could review. They decided that it was not enough reason to terminate the contract early and the request was rejected. Again offering the two options above. No one called me to explain the reasoning behind the decision, I had to follow up with the front line customer service personnel to get the answer. I would be very cautious about signing anything with Guardian Protection considering the determination to make us pay out our remaining time on a service we cant use. I would definitely NOT in good conscience recommend them to friends or family.

Hi Mark,
      On March 20 I escalated your comments to our supervisor. I understand that you spoke to her on March 22 and was happy to hear that we were able to resolve this to your satisfaction. Thank you for reaching out.

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

This company is such a rip off. I got this service transferred to my name in November 2020 when I bought my home. Apparently that transfer was a 36-month commitment. I never use this service. I tried to cancel it in about April 2021 but was told I couldn't unless I paid a $750 fee. At that time, I was told that I had to pay that or just wait until the ONE YEAR contact was up. So I called today to make sure it wouldn't auto-renew. I then get told I have a 36-month commitment so I still have 25 months left. The rep again said I could pay a $750 cancellation fee. I then began asking what to do when I sell my home/PCS for the military. He said it would be installed in my next place or if I were going overseas, they would look at my orders to "possibly waive the termination fee." Possibly?!?

I've been in the military for 13 years and I've never had issues terminating service with any company when I had to PCS. I'm actually pretty sure this goes against the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act. Never, ever do business with this company. They only want your money. Absolutely garbage. I will be posting about them on every military website, blog, and social media I can so another person doesn't get ripped off.

Hi J.
      Guardian Protection takes customer service seriously and your satisfaction is our goal as we work to deliver protection and peace of mind. I understand that our customer care team contacted you on October 26 and resolved this for you. They informed me that you were satisfied and stated that you planned to update your review. We do appreciate that and thank you.

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Original review: May 15, 2021

They are affordable and responsive. When they notice that something isn't quite right they will call you to ask if things are OK. I like how easy it is to use their system and how good their customer service representatives are on the phone.

Original review: April 30, 2021

Does not stay up to date. They continued to call an old phone number despite multiple notifications of a new number - this led to unnecessary police activity and fees. Has not updated system since it was installed.

Hi William,
      Thank you for being a long-time customer of Guardian Protection. We are honored to be your security partner. I apologize for any difficulty that you have encountered. If you would like to discuss updates to your system, please email me at wecare@guardianprotection.com and I will be sure and have our Loyalty Specialist call you.
      Best Regards,

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Original review: March 5, 2021

I contacted them about upgrading and monitoring my existing security system that was installed by one of their local dealers 12 years ago. I no longer want to work with that local dealer and was looking for them to help me find a new local dealer or for them to setup installation and service. They refused saying that my address/account was "owned" by the previous dealer and that they could not help me unless I went through that dealer. BEWARE! If you sign a contract with them, you may be signing it for life. It's very disappointing and seems like a terrible policy, forcing consumers to work with someone they do not feel comfortable with or finding another alternative. I will be looking elsewhere for my security system needs.

Hi Jennifer,
      I am sorry for the difficulty. I have researched your account and there appears to have been some confusion in the initial phone conversation that was held with you earlier today. Yes, we are able to, and would be happy to, assist you with your security needs. I have escalated this issue to our supervisor and you will be hearing from us within 24 to 48 hours. We will contact you at the phone number we have from your old account, however if that has changed kindly email me at wecare@guardianprotection.com.

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

Hi, In short Guardian Protection Services uses unethical tactics and is completely towards the most advantageous for their profit possible. I would highly recommend vetting them out against any other provider of this service in the following areas.

1. Contract - length of contract and how contract terms are communicated

2. Relocation policies

3. Early termination policies and renewal policies

4. Overall Costs

If you would like to know why I bring these points out please continue to read. First, the contract. I’m in a sales position and do B2B sales so I’m accustomed to contracts. Dates in the contracts are clearly seen and completely communicated. Guardian has several checkboxes for a consumer to accept - like I certify I will be home during installation, I’m the homeowner, and other non-contract like language - but then has a box for this is a 60-month term. That may be fine if you are okay with 60 months but if you are not they will still slide this paperwork in and that is deceitful. Second, relocation services - if you relocate to an area or home/apartment that can not take the services and you still have time on your contract. You will have to pay the rest of the contract out - plus early termination penalties.

Third, early termination penalties/renewal. I find these appalling and they do differ per State - as Guardian Protection Services will use to the full their advantage at a per State level. First ETP (Early Termination Penalties). So in a 60-month contract at month 58 I call and want to cancel - I’m willing to pay the $90 for the two months and walk away. No, that does not work their early termination penalties we’re over $1000.00! Next, renewal - in some States it can auto-renew for 12 months or more, and some it auto-renews for 30 days - check your State. This means you have to call in exactly 30 days before your contract expires.

Fourth, final on my list is costs. A 4G LTE connection - the type that Guardian gets costs under $5/Month. The hardware that Guardian Protection Services installs is likewise very inexpensive (and I might add we had a very bad install - the motherboard - battery, etc. is just hanging not fastened to anything). All of that is $45/Month for a base security system - two keypads - three doors - two glass breaks - smoke detectors - carbon monoxide detector - that’s it. I have 12 windows on the lower levels that have nothing. In calling in to cancel they said they could take off $5/Month. Check them out on Glassdoor as well - how do their employees like what they do and the company they work for? Stay away from this company if you can - they don’t care about you - why should you care about doing business with them?

Hi David,
      I am sorry for your frustration. We take your concerns seriously because customer satisfaction is very important to Guardian. Because Guardian makes a significant upfront investment when new electronic security hardware is professionally installed and activated in your property, the costs of such hardware are recouped by the provider over the initial contract period. This is the reason an early termination fee may apply if you wish to cancel prior to the end of the initial contract period. The contract, which complies with the laws of each state, also serves to protect both the consumer and the provider, by defining services to be provided, rates, terms, and obligations of each party. Please feel free to call us at 1-800-PROTECT (1-800-776-8328) and we will be glad to answer any additional questions that you may have.

Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

Do not use this company! I have 8 months remaining my agreement but to cancel early they want to charge me more than twice I’d pay for the remainder of the agreement. Ridiculous! I will be canceling in July and will encourage anyone that will list not to do business with them.

Hi Bernard,
      I am sorry for your frustration. I have located your account and have escalated this issue to our customer care supervisor. Please expect a callback within 24 to 48 hours. Thank you.

Customer Satisfaction Advocate

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Home Security partner.

Guardian Protection Company Information